Find the Best Renters Insurance in Austin, TX
Top 9 Houston Renters Insurance Companies
|GEICO Renters Insurance||Read 66 Reviews|
GEICO is known for its low-cost insurance options as well as its line of commercials featuring a talking gecko. It offers a variety of comprehensive renters, homeowners and auto insurance policies throughout the United States.
|Lemonade Renters Insurance||Read Reviews|
Offers basic renters insurance at super-low rates. No-frills insurance means fewer features like live customer support. Zero Everything option for zero deductible. Users can file claims through a mobile app.
|Get a Quote|
|Acceptance Insurance Austin||Read Author Review|
Has five convenient locations in the Greater Austin Area and sells renters insurance policies from multiple national insurance carriers. Allows customers to file claims online or by calling a representative.
|Biscoe Insurance Group||Read Author Review|
Sells Allstate renters insurance to the Austin community and has Spanish-speaking staff. Discounts premiums for retirees, renters who bundle with auto insurance, and renters with qualifying home security systems.
|Britton and Britton Insurance||Read Author Review|
Provides renters insurance quotes from Travelers, MetLife, Unitrin, and Encompass and helps customers choose a policy. Sells flood insurance to supplement renters coverage. Offers bundling discounts with auto.
|Heaton Bennett Insurance||Read Author Review|
Offers renters insurance policies from ASI, Chubb, Hartford, MetLife, Nationwide, Progressive, Safeco, and Travelers. Discounts renters insurance when bundled with auto insurance.
|Remco Insurance Austin||Read Author Review|
Sells renters insurance policies from local and national insurance carriers. Has 13 convenient locations in Austin Metro with bilingual staff members. Gives customers the option to pay online.
|Stanley Insurance Agency||Read Author Review|
Exclusively provides Progressive insurance. Offers a variety of discounts for renters including paying their policy in full, living in a gated community, and bundling car and renters insurance. Offers flood coverage endorsements.
|State Farm Renters Insurance Austin||Read Author Review|
Provides State Farm renters insurance policies to the Austin area. Offers discounts to renters who install smoke detectors and alarm systems. Processes claims 24/7 for your convenience.
Austin renters insurance
Renters make up more than 50 percent of the Austin population, yet hundreds of thousands still don't have renters insurance. Renters insurance provides financial protection for fire, most disasters and theft. The risk of tornado damage in Austin is almost twice as high as the national average, and with the regular hail, high winds and flash flooding, you run a real risk of a total loss without renters insurance.
Although renters insurance covers damage caused by wind and hail, it doesn’t cover flooding. If you live in a neighborhood close to the Colorado River or the Crystalbrook and the Creek Bend flood walls, consider adding flood insurance to your renters insurance policy. You can always add a flood endorsement to your renters insurance policy if offered by your insurance company. Otherwise, flood coverage is available from the National Flood Insurance Program. Use the FEMA Flood Map Service Center to find out if you live in a low to moderate, or high-risk flood zone.
Choosing Austin renters insurance
All insurance companies provide similar basic coverage options for renters insurance in Austin. To find the right company for you, follow these steps when researching companies:
- Get recommendations from friends and family
- Read online reviews
- Get quotes from multiple insurance companies
- Read policies to find out what is and isn’t covered
- Check an insurance company’s complaint record with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
To get quotes from insurance companies, all you need is your name, date of birth and address.
Don't forget to think about the items you are insuring. Most policies have special limits on items such as jewelry, electronics and firearms. To get items appraised for your renters insurance policy, find a qualified appraiser from the following organizations:
Renters insurance cost in Austin
The cost range for renters insurance in Austin is $75 - $635 annually, or $6 - $53 a month. This price is on par with an average of $15 - $20 a month for renter's insurance in the state of Texas. Renters insurance costs can ultimately depend on several variables:
- Location: Where you live in the city affects the cost of your premium. For instance, your premium may increase if you live in an area that is prone to flooding.
- Level of coverage: The level of coverage you need varies depending on the value of your possessions. If you have a high-value art collection, your coverage is more expensive.
- Deductible: Your deductible is the difference between what you pay and what the insurance company pays to cover replacing an item. If you choose to have a high deductible, your premium is far less.
- Valuation method of your policy: There are two types of valuation methods — actual cash value and replacement cost value policies. Policies with replacement cost value tend to have higher premiums because they do not factor in depreciation for an item.
Is renters insurance required in Austin?
Renters insurance isn't required anywhere in the state of Texas; however, your landlord may require it when you sign a lease, such as the management at Windsor Property Management Co. Mandatory renters insurance policies are perfectly legal and may end up saving you and the building's management time and money.
Your renters rights in Austin
If you feel that your renters rights are being violated by unlawful renters insurance requirements, check out these local resources:
- Austin Tenant Council: A nonprofit whose mission is ensuring housing stability through the Fair Housing Act and exposing tenants to their rights through education, mediation and advocacy.
- Tenants' Rights Handbook by The State Bar of Texas: resource for Austin residents to learn about renters rights and legal issues that arise in the landlord-tenant relationship including unfair rental practices, rental safety and anti-discrimination laws.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Austin renters insurance company information
Lee Cramer Jr. is a State Farm broker who provides renters insurance to the Austin area. Renters can receive discounts for bundling their car and renters insurance. Renters who install a home safety device such as a smoke detector or alarm system are also eligible for discounts. Claims are filed through the State Farm website.
- Website: leecramer.net/?cmpid=b4hp_blm_0001
- Address: 2013 Wells Branch Pkwy., Ste. 107, Austin, TX 78728
- Phone Number: (512) 251-3473
- Hours of operation: M - F: 9am - 5:30pm
Heaton Bennett Insurance works with over 40 insurance partners and offers renters insurance policies from ASI, Chubb, Hartford, MetLife, Nationwide, Progressive, Safeco and Travelers. Heaton Bennett gathers quotes from these companies and lets you decide which is best for your needs. Customers can file claims through their insurance carrier. Discounts are available for bundling renters and auto insurance.
- Website: insureaustin.com
- Address: 3933 Steck Ave., Ste. B-119, Austin, TX 78759
- Phone Number: (512) 372-8311
- Hours of operation: M - F: 8am - 5pm
Remco Insurance has 13 locations in Austin Metro and sells renters insurance policies from local and national insurance carriers. The company employs Spanish-speaking staff members. Renters receive discounts on their premiums when they bundle car and renters insurance. Customers can pay online directly through Remco’s website.
- Website: remco.com/austin
- Address: P.O. Box 17068, Austin, TX 78760
- Phone Number: (800) 282-2000
- Hours of operation: M - F: 9am - 7pm; Sat: 10am - 5pm; Sun: 10am - 5pm
Stanley Insurance Agency offers renters insurance policies from Progressive. The agency offers a variety of discounts for renters including paying their policy in full, living in a gated community and bundling car and renters insurance. Stanley Insurance Agency also offers flood endorsements. Stanley Insurance Agency is a member of Alliance Insurance Agents of Texas and other associations.
- Website: keepingaustininsured.com
- Address: 7304 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78757
- Phone Number: (512) 453-7007
- Hours of operation: M - F: 9am - 5:30pm; Sat: 10am - 3pm
Acceptance Insurance with five locations in the Greater Austin Area. The agency offers renters insurance policies from multiple national insurance carriers. Claims can be filed online or by calling a representative. Renters receive discounts when they bundle their insurance with car insurance.
- Website: locations.acceptanceinsurance.com/tx/austin/4631-airport-blvd
- Address: 4631 Airport Blvd., Ste. 120, Austin, TX 78751
- Phone Number: (512) 276-8998
- Hours of operation: M - F: 9am - 6pm; Sat: 10am - 5pm
Biscoe Insurance Group is an exclusive provider of Allstate insurance products and sells renters insurance to the Austin community. Biscoe Insurance Group has Spanish-speaking staff to assist customers. Discounts are available for retirees, renters who bundle renters and car insurance, and renters with qualifying security systems and fire alarms. Renters have the option to add a flood endorsement to their policy.
- Website: agents.allstate.com/biscoe-insurance-group-cedar-park-tx1.html
- Address: 301 Denali Pass Drive, Ste. 2, Cedar Park, TX 78613
- Phone Number: (512) 388-2121
- Hours of operation: M - F: 8:30am - 6pm; Sat: 9am - 1pm
Britton and Britton Insurance is an Austin insurance broker that offers renters coverage from Travelers, MetLife, Unitrin and Encompass. Local agents help customers decide which offer to take. Renters are also able to add a flood coverage endorsement to their policy. Discounts are available to renters who bundle their renters and auto insurance.
- Website: brittonandbritton.com
- Address: 700 Lavaca St., Ste. 1400, Austin, TX 78701
- Phone Number: (512) 469-0693
- Hours of operation: M - Th: 9am - 4pm; F: 9am - 12pm
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.