2.72/5
Based on 88 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

99 Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I got Progressive Motorcycle Insurance through USAA. I'd just bought a bike, had the title signed over to me with all appropriate legal documentation (Michigan title, I'm in Texas), and took out a policy on the bike. While I was waiting for a repair part to come in so I could get the bike ready for inspection, registration, and titling, it was stolen. Progressive collected copies of the title (in my name), police report, bill of sale, and photos of me on the bike; actually called the former owner, and the landlord where I live to verify my story, stopped in for a surprise visit to my neighbors while I wasn't home, and went into my backyard to take pictures without any communication to me... Then said they couldn't complete the claim until I had a title with my name typed on the front, not just handwritten.

Note: Legally those are no different. So it has now been several months of administrative processing with me missing work time to go to the county and state offices to: apply for a title, get rejected due to it being marked stolen (Progressive suggested I get them to mark it "un-stolen" so I could get the title, which is not legally possible), pick up a new police report, apply for a reversal of title rejection, and cross my fingers hoping that some kind soul in the capital will have mercy on me and release the title so I can get my reimbursement. Meanwhile, Progressive failed to stop charging me monthly until today, 2 1/2 months later, when I called to ask why I was still paying for a policy when I didn't have the bike anymore. $120 refunded instantly... But I had to ask. Use caution insuring with Progressive, even the auto detective working my case couldn't argue them into cooperating.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

When we filed a claim through Progressive they treated us like criminals. Instead of trying to help, they work very hard to find reasons that they don't have to cover you. The adjuster I spoke with, Cameron **, actually told me that the rider is at fault if he rides into a ditch to keep from hitting a deer. He said that if you hit the deer you are not at fault but if you swerve and miss the deer but wreck the bike in a ditch, you are at fault. That says to me that in order to get coverage you have you go head on with deer or another vehicle! Do they want people to die?

Get expert buying tips about Motorcycle Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: May 5, 2018

They were easily contacted both online and by phone. They include motorcycles in their coverages and their advertising was positive and humorous. We thought we had found a winner, but that turned out not to be entirely true. Unfortunately, it was found that their prices and motorcycle coverage plans were more expensive than coverage by other companies. We ended up canceling the Progressive policy and contracting with Farmers insurance.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have had a motorcycle policy with Progressive for the last few years. I paid the full amount for the year upfront each time. No accidents or tickets (nothing in 10+ years), my credit score has increased massively since I started with this company. It's raised about 300 points. Pretty good right? Well I guess not for Progressive. They increased my rate by 55% claiming a "RISK" - EXCUSE ME? What possibly could be the risk. Well here are their reasons. Quite laughable really, so grab some popcorn:

"We did not give you our lowest possible premium due to the following information that we evaluated from your credit history: • You applied for credit at least once in the last 2 years, excluding auto or mortgage applications. • You had no auto loans or leases reported opened within the last 10 years. • The average open date of all your reported loans and accounts was less than 8 years ago. • You had a payment past due in the last 7 years. For more information about our review and use of credit, refer to 'Why is credit history reviewed and used?' Also, your payment terms are not our most favorable."

So I'm not in debt to a loan, I opened accounts on my credit because I was "approved." And yes, there is a wrongful late payment 8 years ago which I have been fighting the bureaus on. I sent all verification and have consulted a lawyer but it was 8 years ago so it's not really affecting me much. Anyone else had something THIS RIDICULOUS???

Original review: March 8, 2018

I switched to Progressive in January for two motorcycles, one I already owned, the second to be added within two months. The premium for the second bike was $137 and before accepting the offer, the sales representative guaranteed that this rate would not increase dramatically. Today, the premium for the second vehicle is $251, two folds, in few weeks...

I discussed the issue on the phone with a first representative who could not justify the hike. I was then transferred to another service and ended up waiting 15 min without further answers. I then chatted online with a second person who concluded quote: "We do have a specialized team who can assist you further. The team was created to resolve issues elevated from our Customer Service department. They have the same authority as a supervisor, and I am confident that they can provide a solution for your situation. Please give us a call at 1-800-776-4737." This phone number is just the general phone # that every client has to use... Conclusion: Progressive locks you in their contract then uses computer assisted price gouging. The representatives have no respect for their clients and dodge the bullets by forwarding your requests in dead ends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Motorcycle Insurance?

Resolution response: Dec. 13, 2017

Needs were handled. I appreciate the efforts.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Live in South Florida. Motorcycle was Stolen and gave all the documents asked besides my phone records. They not only do not respond to emails or calls they are now skeptical on me. (I am assuming since they need my phone records.) I provided the video of the thieves stealing my motorcycle and proof that I was not in Florida when it happened. Still no assistance. Look elsewhere for assistance, or you will be stolen from.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

They will add coverage to your policy without your approval and then cancel you. Even though I paid in full for a year motorcycle policy, I was cancelled 4 months in. They won't try to work with you or help you to set things right. Better off cutting your losses and finding an "honest" insurance company. Sad that USAA recommends this company.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have had Progressive as my motorcycle insurer for nearly 20 years. During that time I have had two claims on the bikes I have had. On each of those occasions when I needed them, Progressive was quick to respond, courteously, while filing my claim. I am very pleased with my relationship with progressive. P.S. Finding a good agency can make a world of difference, so scout around!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Stay away from Progressive Insurance people. I have never had a claim and been loyal to this company. Now I make my first claim ever and get garbage for customer service. They set up 2 appointments and did not show up for either and both time their excuse was a computer glitch. Spoke with a Brian employee # ** and the same thing didn't get anywhere. I'm so livid right now. Bike was under 2 feet of water, fell on its side slid about 4 feet and they have no excuse for not coming out other than a computer glitch. I would tell everyone to stay away from this company, FAR AWAY.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I called my agent to file a claim because my motorcycle was stolen and the claims adjuster called me and started asking me personal questions regarding who lived in my house and my financial situation and made me feel like I stole my own bike. The agent even harassed my wife at work calling and leaving several messages on her cell phone asking her personal questions as well. I will be seeking legal action against Progressive as quick as I can find someone to represent me. Please let your friends and family know that this company is a rip off and to find a new insurance company before they get screwed royally.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I would not recommend using Progressive. I paid up front for one year of motorcycle insurance with coverage from July 2016 to July 2017. Around May of 2017 they canceled my coverage stating that the rates went up and they tried to contact me. They never did, they have my phone number and other ways to contact me as well. DO NOT PAY UP FRONT, THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY. So I got a notice from MVA stating that they were gonna fine me for every day I did not have insurance. I asked Progressive "What about my contract I signed? What about the money you owe me from May to July?" No answers, just "Sorry. We can give you a new policy." Lol!! What??? No thanks, I'll find somewhere else.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I had Progressive for 1 month for motorcycle insurance. I paid $60 for the first month and then it was supposed to be $43 a month after that for full coverage. The bill for the next month comes and it's $84 and the $54 a month after that. So I switched to another insurance company for $20 a month and I got more. I call progressive and they told me I owe $84 to cancel my contract. I told them I was never told about the cancellation fee or a contract. She told me they aren't required to tell us about a contract or cancellation fee it but it's on the website and was sent to me after I purchased the policy. I told her I never agreed to it, and she said it didn't matter.

I will never use progressive or recommend them to anyone! There should be a law in place to protect consumers from this crap. It's a scam. Credit card companies, for example have to state the fees because of a lawsuit and I believe progressive should have a lawsuit as well. Consumers have the right to be protected by a "contract they were never informed of.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I had an easy time obtaining and keeping my motorcycle insurance. Their policy options are great. I was able to choose and get the coverage I wanted and needed and that worked the best for me. You will find it easy as well. Their policies will fit your needs well. There are multiple coverage options to choose from. You'll find one to fit your budget. They are a very good company to do business with. Easy, quick and efficient. Progressive Motorcycle Insurance is a great company.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I was made to feel confident from the beginning. Progressive Motorcycle Insurance have given me the knowledge that if I had to make claims I would feel comfortable doing so. Their customer service understood my concerns and provided me with answers to my satisfaction. They are also courteous during the conversation. Their policy options were well explained and numerous. I found exactly what I needed no more no less. It was also easy to choose the option that best fit my needs. The coverage is perfect for me too. I feel comfortable paying for what I'm getting. It's nice to feel covered for what might happen.

Original review: April 9, 2017

When I first purchased my motorcycle I tried 5 insurance companies. I choose Progressive because their price was unbeatable and they were the kindest people I had spoken with. I had to file a claim because my uncle took off with my bike and wrecked it in a parking lot. They were very understanding and helped me get my insurance rate to stay the same. They also gave me a great discount option for insuring my motorcycle and vehicle. Although they are two separate policies they gave me a great deal for insuring both with them. I have great coverage with my motorcycle too. My policy protects me from damage done from theifs, accidents, weather and so much more. If someone stole it they would help me a ton.

Original review: April 6, 2017

I was a first-time motorcycle owner and needed to find the best option to suit my particular needs with my budget. They gave me options for other companies that may have been better but then I found out that Progressive's rates were indeed lower than the competing companies. When I chose to go with Progressive they gave me the option to opt out and transfer to another company at any time. I had no problems or issues with my insurance during my contract with them for my motorcycle. I did question them about the possibility of accidents or theft policies and they explained to me very quickly that if I was able to report a claim within 24 hours of incident, it would be taken care of immediately and with aggression. They made me feel comfortable and safe knowing that if indeed a circumstance Beyond My Control was to occur I would be taken care of within a timely manner that would not cause more problems in my life than necessary.

They also helped me choose the best option for my needs and were able to give me a better experience compared with other companies. They were able to give me an option to have full coverage insurance which would allow me to ride in the State of Florida helmet free. This was the option that I chose considering that where I live it is not considered to be a dangerous or necessary place for me to have the complete safety gear equipped at all times. My coverage options also included a full regimen of liability and personal injury. If for any reason during a wreck or personal injury instance, I would have been covered 100% as long as the accident was not my fault.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I have had great experiences with Progressive Motorcycle Insurance. When you call you are able to get a live person right away but you are able to do most of what you need directly on their website. Employees are helpful and friendly and will take the time to explain anything you have concerns about. Claims are also processed in a timely manner and they don't make you feel like "the bad guy" if you need to file a claim. Payout is fairly fast and they go above and beyond to try and get you in another vehicle quickly. They also have many different policy options for a wide variety of needs, anything from renters insurance to RV insurance. There really isn't much that they can't or won't insure. They offer a wide variety of coverage options, from the states minimum to full coverage at an affordable price. You know what you are paying for upfront without any hidden strings or surprises, I was pleasantly surprised.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I have been fortunate never to have had to file a claim with my motorcycle. But if they ate like my auto insurance they are quick and efficient to get you back on the road. My fellow riders recommended them and they've had collisions. Very professional and nice policy options. It's a coverage that makes me not have to worry when we travel because it covers me wherever we go and its very unique coverage. Has great rates and coverages. They have always been willing to answer all my inquiries when needed. I was always able to reach them in a timely manner so that time was never a factor. The claim process ran like clockwork in which I never had a serious. There were several policy options; however, I did feel that more options could be offered to better assist the customer to get more from the insurance company. There were standard options and extended options. Both of these options will provided great coverage.

The reps were very helpful in getting me the right coverage and questions answered. I really enjoyed my experience with them and would continue my services and the products are great. Very sufficient. I didnt have any problems filing my claim and found it very easy when I did have to call them when I got hit by another driver and they didnt have insurance and found it easy to have them. There are many services to choose from and we have multiple products from them and we like their services and they have good policies for everyone - auto, home. It's a coverage that makes me not have to worry when we travel because it covers me wherever we go and its very unique coverage. Has great rates and coverages.

Original review: April 3, 2017

They are a great company with reasonable rates. Progressive insurance covered my used and new motorcycles. The insurance is required by my state, but companies were hard to find. Progressive had different coverage options. My agent assisted in figuring out the coverage that would fit my needs, riding style, and equipment. Progressive support was also excellent.

Original review: March 29, 2017

Had to file a claim and when I finally did I had a horrible time with customer service. They were unresponsive and not very understanding of the situation at all. They were very unhelpful and took much too long to process my claim which is unfair to me a paying insuree. There is a good variety of policies and the salespeople are all over you to explain all of the wonderful things their policies do and cover but God forbid you ask after you sign up. The coverage you need to justify the price you pay month to month is outrageous but if you pay the minimum and get something affordable it covers nothing.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I highly recommend Progressive Motorcycle Insurance to anyone who needs assistance. Their customer service was excellent and very helpful in a timely manner. The operator was very professional and addressed and explained situations. I loved that they were very nice. I also liked that there were many different policy options to choose from. I was especially impressed with the knowledge of everything that they have to offer. Cover was great, excellent and a viable part to the company too.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I never had a claim but always heard and read good things about them. They're fast honest and very reliable. I never had trouble getting to talk to a real person and they're also always ready to help and answer any and all questions. They have more than enough options and very easy to read. Also, has great policy that covers as much or as little as you need or want. No pressure to buy anything you don't need or want. Definitely would recommend them to anyone needing motorcycle insurance.

Original review: March 22, 2017

We had many options when we took out our motorcycle insurance including when to pay the bill & how much we wanted to pay at a time. They were fairly cheap. We had full coverage at a good price. We priced many insurances over the years & this one was the best. They beat everyone's price. They have helped us out many times over the years. I called them & told them we had an accident & they started our claim right away. They got in touch with the owner of the car that hit us & got expenses for everyone that was in the car. They covered all expenses & gave them a settlement. We were paid in less than 2 weeks.They figured out how much the motorcycle was worth & the other car. All expenses were paid in full. I'm so glad we picked this insurance. They are the best. I would recommend them to anyone that happens to ask me what insurance I have.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I got a dirt bike policy through Progressive on a Saturday. I found a better rate through someone else that same day. I tried to cancel my Progressive the same day but due to being a brand new account I would have to wait until the following day, which I did. I got a bill in the mail a month after saying I owed Progressive $164.00. I thought that had to be a mistake so I called. The guy who "helped" me refused to refund me unless I gave him my policy number and name of the company I had gotten insurance from instead. So for 24 forced hours of coverage due to being unable to cancel for a new account I had to pay $164.00... Joke of a company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Very professional and nice. I really enjoyed my experience with them and would continue my services and the products are great. Very sufficient. I didnt have any problems filing my claim and found it very easy when I did have to call them when I got hit by another driver and they didnt have insurance and found it easy to have them. There are many services to choose from and we have multiple products from them and we like their services and they have good policies for everyone - auto, home. It's a coverage that makes me not have to worry when we travel because it covers me wherever we go and its very unique coverage. Has great rates and coverages.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I never had any serious issues with the insurance company. They have always been willing to answer all my inquires when needed. I was always able to reach them in a timely manner so that time was never a factor. The claim process ran like clock work in which I never had a serious issues with getting my claim process in a timely manner. I didn't have to wait through too many reps to get my claim process. There were several policy options; however, I did feel that more options could be offered to better assist the customer to get more from the insurance company. There were standard options and extended options. Both of these options will provided great coverage. The reps were very helpful in getting me the right coverage and questions answered.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

They have, without a doubt some of the best customer service in the auto-insurance business. They are almost always very friendly and sound like they like their job, which is rare for that business. I have been fortunate enough to not have ever had to go through claims processing in my five year history with them but you can expect it would be very good. There are more policies than you think when it comes to motorcycles. The ones Progressive offer are various and can fit any of your needs. The coverage options are excellent. They have all the options you could think of and help you with a plan that fits your individual needs.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

It was good service. I thought that service couldn't get as good. It was really refreshing to see people actually caring. I'm definitely a good satisfied customer. I will refer you guys to everyone I know basically. It's really a blessing. The policy is ok with me because it gets right down to the point and with no regrets. The coverage could be a lot better.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

They were always giving superior customer service. They were always one step ahead. Very satisfied with the level of support that I received. Never had any claims, so this was a good thing. But, I would have expected their claims service to be excellent. I heard a testimonial from another customer that they were quick and professional with their claims processing. They offered many policy options that were very much fitting my needs. Very comprehensive policy options and choices. Offered uninsured motorist and under insured motorist. Offered a great deductible and low monthly payment. Did not leave out any details. Covered every possible scenario with care and excellence. I was very impressed with the attention to detail and the customer service with regard to the coverage.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Decided to check them out after the flood of advertisements. The insurance was easy to get. I never had the misfortune of having to file a claim. Never had to file a claim although I've heard nothing but good things about the claims process. Customer service is amazing. They definitely put the customer first. This is a good time to check it out. You can choose your policy type. You and your agenda can sit down and discuss your options. You can choose the amount of coverage and your due date. Easy and painless. You can get the coverage you need in a quick manner. Whether it is home insurance policy you're looking to take out or a motorcycle policy, this is the company to go to.

Progressive Motorcycle Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

As an industry leader in the insurance industry, Progressive offers a range of products designed to protect all types of vehicles.

• Instant online quoting: Progressive's online quote calculator makes buying insurance easier than ever.

• Low pricing: Motorcycle insurance starts as low as $75 per year.

• Accessory coverage available: As part of the standard package, Progressive covers accessories up to $3,000 if a covered bike gets totaled.

• Online claims processing: File a claim online or via the phone, right from the Progressive homepage.

• Custom motorcycle insurance: For those who put a lot of money into a bike after it comes off the lot, being able to buy up to $30,000 of coverage for customizations is a great option.

• Best for: Weekend warriors, everyday riders and tinkerers.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Company Information

1937
The Progressive Corporation 6300 Wilson Mills Rd.
Mayfield Village