Call toll free*
Based on 62 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

Last updated: April 17, 2018

787 Esurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

Be very careful when Esurance tells you what their policy covers. I bought a policy for hit and run coverage. Called an uninsured motorist property damage policy, in addition to regular liability insurance. Admittedly, I wanted to save money and not have collision. They told me when I got the policy that when a hit and run driver hits me, I will be covered. Not true. You have to KNOW THE IDENTITY of the person hitting you to receive coverage. As I live near San Diego, we have a LOT of traffic and the likelihood of knowing who hit you is highly unlikely.

My complaint lies in Esurance told me over the phone they denied my claim with no reason why. After repeatedly writing to them, no response was ever received. In fact, they did not even open my emails, police report, witness statements, etc. The California Insurance Commissioner's Office had to explain why my claim was denied. I have some knowledge of law, but not enough to pursue a lawsuit for bad faith, nor do I want to keep being reminded of this experience. Just wanted to warn others to expect nothing from this company except the prompt invoice for payment of your premiums.

Original review: April 17, 2018

My car was rear ended while parked in front of my sister's house out of town. I reported it to Esurance immediately after the accident happened. I was assured that everything would be taken care of in a time manner. NOT, the tow service didn't show up for 2 days. Then was towed to a secured repair shop chosen by Esurance... I was told I would receive a quote of damages within 24 to 48 hours, did not receive until I called 72 hours later. The lady at the lot was very unprofessional. I then contacted Esurance, and spoke with a gentleman by the name of John, after a lengthy conversation with him, he informed me that my case would be handled by a gentleman by the name of Andy, and he would be getting in touch with me within 24 hours.

After 48 hours I called John back to inform him that I had not heard from Andy... He assured me he would call, but he did not. So the next day I called him and was informed that my vehicle had been considered a total loss and that I should call around to find out what the value would be to replace it. Mind you, my car was a 2017 Buick Regal, with 3500 miles on it. Could not find one in the state. Tried calling Andy back to inform him, but he didn't answer his phone, so I called John, who assured me (again) that Andy would contact me. After 3 hours I called Andy again this time he answered, and I told him that I was unable to find a replacement car. He told me that they had already decided how much they were going to give me and that I had to pay my deductible.

I was floored, unbelievable. In Michigan, we have no fault insurance, but if it is not your fault the deductible is waived. But not in this case according to Andy. After going back and forth with he and John, (come to find out they had already sent a check out to my lender with their amount). They were not paying my vehicle off therefore, I am left with paying the deductible as well as the remaining balance due on my car. I call John today, (after trying to get in touch with Andy), I inquired of him what was going to happen with trying to pursue the person who totaled my car, he said they would go after them and then make a determination as to whether or not I was entitled to anything. I could hear Andy in the background making comments. So I asked if he was in the office with him, and he (John) didn't respond (I could tell he covered the receiver).

I am very pissed to say the least. (1) No one reached out to me, I had to do all of the contacting. (2) The fact that they were not willing to pay off my vehicle and I had to pay the deductible as well as the remaining balance of my loan. (Not to mention I am over 65 years old, and on a fixed income). And at the same time have to figure out a way to purchase another car. All because of two adjusters who thought it would be funny to play games with me. They were playing a game of "good cop, bad cop".

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

It has been more than 2 weeks and the insurance company keeps dragging their feet after told I was going to have no problems or any questions were raised. After speaking to the claim representative on the phone got the estimate the next day and that a check would be mailed out. 2 days later I get some cryptic message from SIU about a hold on the account, was not able to speak to him for 4 days after he broke his own appointment with me. After speaking with him told the investigation was about recently adding comprehensive coverage back on after about a 2 month gap without it. I mean really. Who plans on hitting a deer? So the next morning he sends an email with a form I was supposed to fill out and give various supporting information. It also asked for cell phone records of the time leading up to when I re-added the policy and the around and before the accident occurred.

So I asked him how do I get those records to him via email for three freaking days with a pointless reply or stopping after I told him what my cell phone carrier is AT&T. So finally after the whole thing with the check being voided and his avoidance I complained loudly to my claim agent and finally got the guy give me the directions I needed after. So that evening I sent everything in via email until I was going over the last form a consent and disclosure form that at the very bottom had a must be notarized by a public notary option and naturally flipped out and got very angry because if I had to fill that it out it would cost me money and time as I work most weekdays 9-5:30 pm. I have no criminal record at all and this is the first insurance investigation I've ever had in more than 11 years of driving. It sounds like to me like the insurance company is trying to scare or bully me into cancelling my claim with them.

They also sent out a check to me and I even told them that I had received a check and they had the nerve to void the check too. I mean if I was trying to commit fraud like their SIU think why the hell would I tell them? I have already had to spend $280 on Uber/Lyft/taxi cab fare since this occurred so I went in and got the mechanical damage done out of my own pocket for $375 he claim being paid in full without going through all the crap of signing a notarized property loss statement for a simple $1300 comp. claim.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I decided to get Esurance for auto insurance because they were the cheapest quote I received at the time. Well, let me say in this situation, you get what you pay for. I am 32 years old, and I have NEVER filed an insurance claim in my life. Well, I was involved in an accident and had to file a claim. Since I hit something in the road on the way home and it didn't seem too bad, I didn't bother to stop and call police or anything. That was a big mistake I soon found out.

Esurance sent my claim to investigations, because they didn't like the fact that my deductible was $250 and I decided to get roadside and rental car coverage. That caused them to send my claim to the investigation team. And let me tell you, if you think Esurance is rude their investigation team is 10 times worse. These guys wanted to know if I told anyone I had been in a wreck, and if I called or texted anyone. If I had, they wanted the text message conversation and wanted to call everyone of my friends who saw the car. They even drilled my girlfriend. Ya they finally paid me, but the hoops that I had to jump through to get paid was **...

Original review: March 25, 2018

No rush to pay when their driver is at fault. Their driver was cited by police, the other car had the right of way and my vehicle was collateral damage when the oncoming car was pushed into my car. It took 5 months to settle and when I emailed the woman in charge of the claim at Esurance her email came back non-valid. I don't know why anyone except bad drivers and drunks would want to be insured by them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: March 21, 2018

My family was rear ended by a SUV insured by Esurance. They sent some guy from out of state to low ball me on the repair of my 4Runner (evidently they have no one in Colorado?). The whole tailgate was destroyed and no one could fix it for the money they offered. Since this was a substantial injury accident, I was more concerned with other matters. I run a business and so does my wife and we have a son. My wife had an aggravation of a previous neck injury and had to have medical treatment and chiro and the disruption of our lives didn't seem to matter to Esurance. In fact, I had to constantly contact them to get things moving forward.

The car sustained 2800 dollars in damage (according to the damage they claimed), and they offered around 5600 for ALL physical damage and emotional trauma to my wife and son. Clearly, they like to pay lawyers and this will be a civil case. So, be forewarned to NOT speak with them on the phone, document all emails and information, and get your own insurance to try and help you.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I am displeased with Esurance because it doesn't inform the potential customer/inquirer that the insurance is not a quote from multiple carriers but only Allstate. It does not inform you that you will not receive a free online insurance quote. Instead, what I received after inputting my home address information for a home insurance quote was a message that I needed to contact an agent at the number provided. I did not want to contact an agent, especially not from Allstate Insurance.

l thought that since I did not call, the matter was over. I and my husband each received a letter from Allstate within a week informing us that they were/have (?) performed a credit check. FOUL! What if after they provided an insurance quote I was not interested in completing? They handled this as if I had to proceed. They handled this as if I had no choice and would be lucky if they decided to give me a quote; as if I would definitely accept whatever quote they gave me. Not pleased. Not purchasing insurance of any kind from Allstate/Esurance.

Original review: March 6, 2018

On January 22, 2018, I drove my buddy home, and due to icy conditions, slid down his driveway backwards and hit his tree. Messed up the back of my Jeep. After that, I was on my way home, slid sideways on the icy road, went into a ditch on my right side. Esurance made me file two claims due to being two accidents. Had two representatives, Josh and Terrence. Then they combined the two claims for a total damage amount and totaled my Jeep. Then Josh says Terrence is going to handle everything from that point on. We had to ask specifics, and the fastest Terrence ever called was when I gave him a 3 on their survey! On February 9, they paid off the Jeep, then I see they put the case closed on February 13, and the other claim closed January 31! Finally call to find out the value of the Jeep was $7890, and that we should see our check the next 7 days.

After paying off the Jeep, there was $2900 left. On February 26, I call to find out how much our check is - $750 due to "prior accident damage." We find out they closed the "ditch" claim, kept open the "tree" claim, then called the "ditch" claim "prior to accident damage" and deducted $2175!!! I have a copy of the "prior damage to accident" list. I have emailed not only the representative, but also the main Claims Department in Texas, letting them know their "prior accident damage" happened AFTER the "tree" accident, NOT before.

I haven't received a call, email, nothing except the $750 check (just got that yesterday). I'm not cashing it until I have no choice. Seems like if a company has incorrect paperwork that causes the client to lose money owed them, and they refuse to do anything, that at that point it would be defrauding the customer, or some form of false claim representation or something, but apparently they're allowed to cheat, lie, and take their clients money from them legally. Honesty does not pay off with companies like this. If I knew then what I know now...

Original review: March 2, 2018

I was involved in a accident, and the back of my car was hit. Since the truck can't close, it needs repair asap in Spring with all the rain. The team was very thorough and diligent with my claim, and was able to accommodate my needs in a timely manner, after doing all their homeworks and reviewing the police report.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

My Honda was broken into and someone tried to steal it ruining the ignition. I filed a claim with Esurance. They took 4 days before they even towed my car. I talked to the rep Austin and in over a week had no idea what had happened to my car let alone how much it would cost or how to fix it. I had to get a friend from Allstate to call him and figure it out. The initial person I filed a claim with decided my car would be a total loss *it wasn't*. They towed it 40 miles from my town. My friend got it straightened out and Esurance was supposed to send my car to an auto shop of my choice. My car showed up at the shop and Esurance had not contacted anyone at the shop and the towtruck driver wanted to be paid.

I received a call this morning, four days later, and Esurance has still not contacted the shop. I have called the rep four or five times and felt he did not seem to know or care about my problems. Our goal is to get you back on the road as fast as we can. I have been without my car for almost 2 weeks. Their goal is bull crap. I've lost at least one day of work and only by waking up at 3 am to take my roommate to work have I been able to continue to work. I am very dissatisfied. To top it off my friend at Allstate told me for my car I should be paying 40 dollars less with a lower deductible, towing and roadside assistance.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

They are fairly priced with good customer service. Communication is good, too. If price is a concern then you might want to get a quote. I insure my daily drivers and another carrier for my vintage car collection.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Esurance are rip offs. They do not tell you that they pull the next due payment from your account 30 full days before it is due. I had them take me off of autopay. It totally caused me to overdraft on my checking account. I then began to get late payment notices and cancellation notices with one full month of coverage prior to expiration! They are full of it, stay away... stay away!!! To renew after (their) renewal date was an additional 15.00. (for real!!) I had one month of full coverage remaining!!! Rip offs!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Every step in understanding our policy and help with changes to our home or car has been seamless. Access and answers to policy are easily seen and Americans actually answer the phone each time. Changed 2 family cars in past year and it was very easy to do online. The best aspect of working with Esurance is how clear all data is well laid out on the web page viewed to the policy. Great communication and took care of my daughter in a wonderful way.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I signed up for Esurance because of their ads. I'm not sure if theirs was the lowest quote at the time, but I signed up because of their claims of a simple sign-up and claims process. Someone ran me off the road a few months later, and the claims process initially seemed simple. They accepted the claim. Eventually it was a total loss. It would have been nice to have been notified sooner, so I could remove that car from the policy.

It took well over 6 months to see any money on my claim. They don't tell you up-front, on their site, or in any documentation all the information you need to submit for a claim. They kept coming back for more documentation or changing what information they wanted. It took forever to finally get them all the information, which I could have had prepared if they gave me all the information upfront. They paid me about 90% of the claim, then I had to submit a couple documents to get the rest. That's time I had to schedule away from work or go get paperwork signed and notarized. I ended up getting another car before I got any claim money from them.

Then I was constantly charged late fees because I asked for my billing date to be changed, but all they did was postpone it each month. Sometimes their system doesn't update. I add a card. I get confirmation it's added. Then somehow the previous card still ends up getting charged, and they say the old one is the only one they have on file.

About a year after this claim a guy stops in front of me, and I barely bump him, but he wants to file a claim. Esurance pays out practically nothing to fix a little paint chip, but they try to double my rates which are already too high for me having no issues on my driving record outside of that no-fault accident. Of course I'm listed as at fault because they try to call me for like 2 days, and I can't respond due to being at work, so they just decide to go ahead and pay his claim. I was planning to change companies once I got all my claim money, but this accident happened. So, not only are their rates higher, it's affecting me getting a decent quote from anyone else.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

They will jump at showing you their enthusiasm to help you when you need to file a claim but I am in week 8 and still getting the runaround. They won't return phone calls to include their management. I have filed complaints with them and still nothing as their willingness to help their customer that pays for a service. I have homeowners and car insurance with them. After this experience with their lack of commitment to honor their contract I would rather pay a higher price for a service that will be there when I need them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My car was hit in the back by a Esurance client. I filed a claim with them. The adjuster called my insurance to verify my coverage at which time my insurance wanted to file a claim. She said Esurance had it so they didn’t. I took my car to the estimate appointment. Told them the damage. They sent a quote that didn’t cover all the damage (the front wheel and maybe axle damage). She said leave my car with Gerber collision. They’ll do a supplement and she will approve it. They did the back bodywork but nothing to the front. Called me. Said my car was done. Got there and was told they don’t do mechanical work.

They sublease but S. ** the adjuster said she didn’t think the damage happen during the wreck and declined to even have it checked out. I was forced to pick up my unfixed car from Gerber who said this is what they were told to fix and it’s finished. The person who told me about the sublease decline was the estimator herself who said she didn’t understand the stands because you need to check before you mark off any problem. Also when I returned the rental I was told I was responsible for part of the bill. I called the adjuster who hung up in my face.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I ordered Esurance online. When I created a policy I put the wrong zip in the form, I paid for policy and thought I was good. Not even a week later I caught the incorrect zip and contacted them to update the policy. They ran the numbers and it twice as much per month and wanted twice as much down. I told them that I was online trying to navigate this and they can see the mistake I made and silly me, I thought they would be understanding but NOPE - I have to pay $50 to cancel. They do not make the cancellation policy easy to see when signing up, otherwise I would have called in.

That's just bad business and there is no legitimate reason to penalize me. True supreme customer service would have saved the day and made it right... Not here.

Moral of story - Stay away from this organization. If you value honesty and good customer service. If you decide to go with them; READ everything. Do not buy online if there are any doubts on what you're ordering because as you see, they will gouge you $50 of your hard earned money just because they can.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I had my policy with Esurance for 6 months. My payment was $182 a month. When I added my son as a driver in November the payment went up to $254 a month. My term was up in December and I was due for renewal in January. Instead of just charging me the $254 they tried to tell me that the $565 charge that they put on my debit card was because I have to pay 30 days in advance which I did in the very beginning of the policy and have never missed a payment. It totally screwed up my entire account. Customer service was so nonchalant and could have cared less. She still could not explain to me how I have to pay another 30 days in advance. This same exact thing happened to a friend of mine's brother where just out of nowhere when the policy renewed the price was doubled. I highly suggest searching for another Insurance Company. They really don't care.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was involved in a minor incident that was caused by poor visibility because of snow. The fault was ascribed to me 100% and the surcharge will remain for 5 years amounting to thousands of dollars added to my premium. The adjusters have no incentive to do anything other than to nail the insured to raise income for the company. I have since changed to Geico but the surcharge remains! The system is flawed!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Opened an insurance policy with Esurance and got an email 2 days later saying that they noticed I had moved out of state and would need to update the information on my policy. I had not moved anywhere, what happened is that my policy was opened in California rather than Oregon. I have never lived in California. I applied for this insurance policy with an OR driver's license, a truck registered in OR, financed through an OR credit union and a home address located in OR.

After speaking to them about this problem they quoted me literally twice as much as the policy I originally signed up for. I went to cancel my policy and they tried to charge me a cancellation fee which I managed to get waived but was then billed for the 4 days I spent driving my truck around on and INVALID insurance policy. I spoke to a supervisor after cancelling who was completely unapologetic and didn't seem at all surprised that this had happened. At the end of the conversation he blamed google for the mishap... Poor customer service would be an understatement. This is not a trustworthy insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I put in a claim for damages to my car due to falling objects, hail. I live placed the claim when I had a chance to take care of it as I had so many things happening the past couple of months. They are dragging this asking for my phone records and other documents that they have in their possession. The claims rep was very rude to myself and to the auto body shop I took the car to. They sent someone to appraise the damages and told me they will be sending someone else to look at it because they don't find that the appraiser they sent had an accurate account of the damages.

My car is still in the shop wait to get a call back saying they can return to repairing my car. I called the rep back to see when they are sending someone else and she told me they weren't. She made it sound as we have never had this conversation before. I called and emailed her manager and no answers from anyone! Terrible service, they make it seem like you are doing them favors and they are not working for you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My daughter was hit by a man who failed to stop at a stop sign. Shauna **, a claims representative, called repeatedly over the course of a week to talk to my daughter and inquire about her injuries. She was clearly trying to determine if we were going to sue. Then, barely a week after we spoke to the representative, we received a letter denying the claim and saying that the policy was not in force at the time of loss. Why would a representative go to so much trouble to check on a claim for someone who didn't have insurance with them? And if he even might not be covered, why did the representative not tell us immediately?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

To start with I was hit from behind by one of their customers in a line of 20 cars sitting traffic. He somehow managed to get up enough speed to total out both my truck and his car. They accepted fault immediately so good for them, now I'm fighting for the value of my truck that I just purchased 2 months ago. It is used but still, I looked for 6 months to find what I wanted. It is highly optioned for the year and model. Now my own insurance company was no help. That's a whole other story for another time but they said my truck was only worth 7100 so I did not accept that and moved to Esurance who could not believe I did take the money. So I was asked to send them the info on the truck so I sent them the original window sticker. Plus the other aftermarket things that Steyr could plainly see on it. They came back with an offer of 7258 still not what I paid. They said I had no other choice but to take it. There is no more they can do.

They also told me they "KNOW IT SUCKS, TO LOSE MONEY ON IT" but it's not their fault I overpaid for the truck. Which the truck was 8900 I talked them down to 8000 plus tax and all. Knowing this and only wanting to be made whole again I wanted more. It's not my fault I was hit. So I even said, "Give me the 7258 and the truck back." But they said no. The salvage would cost me almost 700. So as of then I didn't know I had other options. I've never done this before. I had them send me the check. Have not cashed it. They then later sent me the list of trucks they comped mine to so they could get the value. The 1st wasn't even the same. It was a year different which makes it another generation entirely plus double the miles. The 2nd was the same with double the miles, a smaller engine and half the options and then the last was my truck. They literally compared my truck to my truck.

The program searched for comparisons and found the original ad for my truck VIN and all with the price of 8900. They then did "their" math and came to the conclusion that the comp version of my truck was worth 8089. And they only listed the options that were on the listing so far less than what it really Has so it is actually a low value. Granted it has 1500 miles more but to lose out almost a thousand dollars. And I repeat these are the same VIN numbers and they are saying they are worth different amounts completely. Sorry for the long post. So much for me overpaying for the truck. I actually paid less than they said it was worth. Oh and if you go on the Web page it says ACV. In their eyes means market price or original purchase minus depreciation. But she said on the phone is they are not responsible to pay what I paid for it only what they think it's worth in the market.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

2.5 hours later and they finally found a service location that would come and change our spare tire. To change a tire. I called their 888 number first, and roadside assistance could did not have anyone in the area. They called the nearest place and said my car was too far for them to come. They transferred me over to Esurance and said they’d be able to help better than roadside assistance could. I get transferred and go through the motions of explaining who, what, where, how... My info is taken down and they said they’d TRY and locate someone to come and change the spare and let me know. 20 mins. goes by and no status update.

I call back and get someone different this time, of course. They checked their back end and said the notes the previous rep took and added in my files were awful and they’d switch me to their tire service. They’re finally able to help and said a driver would be there in 40-50 mins.! An hour later, 2 thugs arrive and grab the spare from the car. The spare has no air. Their compressor doesn’t work. Time to take an Uber home. I will be doing this myself. And also switching providers tomorrow. I’ve had it! You should be embarrassed!! I’m embarrassed for you!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I am very disappointed in the customer service I received from Esurance. I had been a customer with them for three years. I had cancelled my policy since I was not driving my vehicle, and wanted to re-open my policy. Since I had disclosed the information to them that I may be moving to Illinois in the next few months, even though I am still a California resident, they refused to give me a policy in California. I needed to be insured in California in order to re-new my registration. They told me to go find a new insurance company. Again, I am very disappointed and will never use Esurance again, nor will I ever recommend them as an insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I recently got hit in my rear passenger side so hard that it cause my tire to shift towards the left. The claims people were very rude and belittling. They sent me to American Automotive that fixed my entire car including damages not related to the accident just so they can charge me my deductible... Later my car was making a weird noise so I took it back and they said I would have to make a new claim because my muffler had been shifted to the left but they don't think it happened when my tired was got and shifted to the left and that I would have to pay another deductible. They are horrible fraudulent people and I still can't get a hold of the manager, Dylan ** is heartless and could care less about your car or you as a person for that matter.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Auto insurance experience. The claims adjuster DOES NOT PAY even when you have a ton of evidence that they should. Irresponsible case review system. Tons of hassle, wasted time and money. Choose another insurer.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I decided to do an online quote for auto and motorcycle insurance, to say their quote is a joke would be an understatement. The auto is 3 times more than I pay now and the best is 17,** for the motorcycle. Oh wait after the discounts the motorcycle would be 8,804.00 a year. The sad thing is I'm over 40 and have a completely clean driving record.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

After I got in a car crash, Esurance was super easy to work with. They were easy to bill and took care of my PIP. They gave me a fair estimate to get my car fixed. They were also easy to get in touch with–I had my insurance handler's email and phone number and could call anytime.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I wasn't getting any spam until I requested an online quote. I'm very protective of my personal e-mail address and wasn't getting spam until about a week after I requested a quote. Now I'm getting all these garbage e-mails about health, life, and auto insurance. Plus they were about double what a local insurance agent was able to provide me.

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky