Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.53/5

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

BOTTOM LINE

Backed by AllState and serving 43 states, Esurance is one of the first companies to offer insurance directly to customers online or on the phone. Customers are attracted to the ease of getting quotes and managing their accounts online with a suite of interactive tools and mobile apps.

PROS

• Offers coverage for damages not caused by an accident, such as fire and vandalism
  • Provides SR-22 for drivers with high-risk insurance policies
  • Carries attractive coverages and discounts
  • Standout mobile apps include CoverageMyWay, DriveSense, RepairView Program
  • Backed by financially strong AllState

CONS

• Prices relatively higher than competitors
  • No agents to contact

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

995 Esurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The price is great: I used to be with Nationwide with an traditional agent. I switched to Esurance and saved 30%. After I switched I totaled my car and had small water damage in my basement due to water heater failure. For both claims I dealt with the insurance adjusters and both were reasonable, punctual and efficient. They are using efficiencies and technology such as video claims, etc. They save money by not having a brick and mortar traditional agent, adjusters that have to come to your house, etc and pass on the savings. I recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I've had Esurance for a few years now. About a year ago, I got rear ended by someone with no insurance. Esurance was so easy to work with and really helped me out. Sometimes the phone hold times were pretty long but once I got someone on the phone, they always answered my questions and provided a lot of reassurance since I was so worried that the other person had no insurance. They got my car repaired quickly without any problems. It's a good policy for the price I pay. I'd recommend them to friends and I'm happy to continue having them as my auto insurance provider, too.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

When I was looking for an insurance company I wanted one that I could do most of the paperwork online. I hate having to constantly call someone or be bothered by an agent. I was able to sign up, with a lower rate, with no problems at all in a matter of minutes. Multiple discounts were offered and everything was clearly presented online. Overall an easy and painless process. I have thankfully never had to make a claim so I cannot speak to that department but I would recommend them overall.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Signing up for Esurance is easy. I ended up with them after comparing six different insurers, and their rates came out the lowest based on same level of coverage. Everything can be done online. Their customer service agents are friendly and speak regular English, which is a great plus. The only demerits are that they have no local agents, and they do not offer annual policies (only 6 month).

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have had a pleasant experience with Esurance since I have been with them. I had a wreck where someone rear ended me and they helped me every step of the way to sort it out. The only thing that did not give them 5 stars is their discount DriveSense app which says I am a risky driver even though I have no incidents.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: July 3, 2019

Was involved in a accident. I was not at fault, and Esurance went up on my insurance 2 times since my not at fault accident. They are no good and untrustworthy. They get 0 stars. They will go up just because they can, and not be responsible for anything they do wrong, and lie to you.

Original review: June 25, 2019

My car was hit and they used every trick they could to get out of paying! I have to pay for the damages on my vehicle out of pocket when I wasn't at fault, my ex roommate wrecked my car and they claim she still lived with me. She got in and let somebody else drive the car when I was at work! It's b.s. The rates were $60 more per month than I pay now, lesson learned! They constantly asked for people to be put on my insurance and wanted their ID and social security numbers, people who lived in the home before me... It was a NIGHTMARE! Dealing with the phone calls and letters every month! Avoid Esurance!

Original review: June 24, 2019

Easy to purchase but rate increased in one year by $20 even though no claims. Tried using phone app to make claim and failed several times. Promise agent would garnered no call! Tried calling company and kept ringing over twenty minutes before finally hung up. Stay tuned, will try fax and snail mail next.

Original review: June 16, 2019

Very shady. 2 times my wife has excluded me from the auto policy and 2 times they have just added me and charged over 60 dollars more when I'm not even licensed. Very untrustworthy. Use another insurance company unless you feel like dealing with fraud.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I'm in my late 30's and have been driving since I was 16 and never once have filed a claim. Recently I backed into something and my rear bumper was damaged. I filed a claim and paid my $500 deductible towards a $1300 repair. I thought everything was easy enough until a few months later when my rate increased almost 50%. So in 16 months I will have paid off everything Esurance paid then be billed the extra amount in perpetuity. They were unwilling to budge.

Then 8 months later in the beginning of Feb 2019 I had the misfortune of another incident that seemed to be the other parties fault. I filed a claim immediately and made my statement. The agent assigned to my claim told me it would take a long while but they would call me when they had more information and not to call in the meantime. Fast forward four months to June and I get a letter from the other drivers insurance company that I need to pay them $6000 within 10 days or be sent to collections.

I called my Esurance agent Drew and he said he had tried to call me last week but couldn't leave a message. I asked if he tried to email, text, etc and he said no. This sparked him into action though and later that day they told me it was determined to be my fault. I tried to plead my case but he was rude and seemed to be treating my account of the accident as wrong and believed the other drivers conflicting story to be true. The whole process seemed unfair and lazy on the part of Esurance. Huge rate increases, bad customer service, bad communication, and an unfair claims process has lead me to a new carrier. Bye bye Esurance, I can only hope a company that treats their customers so poorly doesn't last very long.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I had a multi car auto policy for 7 years. We had always had decent service. We recently added another vehicle and I was informed that my next payment would reflect the increase. I even received an email about it. The next payment was due 6/1 (a weekend). I went online to make the payment in 6/3 to find that they had canceled my entire policy at 12:01 on 6/2. No information about having to make two payments was EVER communicated with me by either email or the two that I had spoken with four days prior to them canceling the policy.

Upon finding this, I immediately called Esurance and the rep just dismissed me. He said that the situation doesn’t seem to make sense, but said that I would have to pay $641.00 to reinstate my policy (when my regular payment t had processed just five days prior). He could not explain what happened. No explanation, no reason why they failed to communicate. Just dismissed me. Stay away from this company. They are not playing by any policy rules.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Wednesday May 29th 2019, I was left waiting on Emergency Roadside for a jump, they said stay with car, ok. It was a blizzard at 10,200 ft in CO. I opted for text messages and got nothing. Instead I got 3 international long distance calls from a Habib in Pakistan who I couldn’t understand. Now I’m stuck with 3 international calls, no assistance within an hour, again blizzard. No one arrived and a friend had to come jump my car. 6 calls to Esurance whom kept transferring me to Allstate and no compensation for international calls or leaving-me stranded. I cancelled my policy. Went back to Geico, Esurance has the worst customer service ever. Don’t insurance with them, please. They don’t care.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I bought a policy for a 6 month term. After 3 months I sold my vehicles and put a new vehicle on the policy. The premium went up a 100%!!! When I cancel the policy Esurance charge me with A 10% CANCELLATION FEE! It is outrageous. No other company do that.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I had a 2009 Audi A4 insured for several years with Esurance by ALL STATE. The car was stolen from a mall parking lot in October. I started the claim and was IMMEDIATELY considered a suspect in the theft by the insurance. Not by the police, just the insurance. There was no video available in the Mall parking lot. However I had all the keys to the car, and was 5 hours from home when it happened. It was a huge inconvenience. I had to cancel my trip and take a bus home. I lost a laptop, camera gear and a week's worth of clothing, etc as well as a pricey luggage.

All State is the actual company. They are just using Esurance as a new name to avoid the All State name. I learned after I had to hire an attorney for $5,000 to fight All State that All State had done a major audit and found that the best way to save money was to screw customers out of their losses. So they did this, again and again. So much that a judge on the East Coast actually ordered them to add "By All State" to their name. My lawyer defended a woman who had a $6000 Honda stolen and Esurance by All State and they spent $500,000 in court trying to not pay her. In the end the woman won and All State had to pay her and her attorney $563,000. Who paid for that stupidity? The other clients of Esurance by All State did.

Anyway, it took over a year. I had to rent cars and pay out of pocket nearly $10,000. I had to do depositions and be interrogated and blatantly accused of fraud. Eventually I won. but I didn't win at all. It was a huge waste of time and money. It was terrible. Stay far far away. I will copy this review in case the web masters here decide not to place it. I have had that happen before on Yelp and Google when you go against big, rich, powerful companies.

Original review: May 4, 2019

God help you if you are ever hit by another driver who has Esurance. The associate I have dealt with in the claims department has proven to be an out and out liar. When you bring this to their attention, it is always twisted around that they have acted in such a way as a result of something that was done to them. Do not trust that they will take care of picking up responsibility for a rental car, even after clearly telling you that they will and telling you which location and company to pick it up from. And they will constantly tell you everything they have done for you and that it is all to 'give you peace of mind', all while doing nothing.

And if your car is declared a total loss, be prepared for them to nickel and dime your amount down. Even to the extent of claiming that certain factory installed accoutrements are not on your vehicle (example: privacy glass), when it is beyond obvious that they, in fact, are. Esurance is backed by Allstate. Their saying, 'You're in good hands'. At this point, I would be better off taking a dump in that hand. I would have something more valuable at the end of the day.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I intentionally canceled my homeowner's insurance policy due to an oversight. Engaged with Esurance's Customer Care team within two weeks to reactive the policy. Esurance increased the premium by over $400. After multiple discussions with Customer Care's management team they were able to lower the rate but still had to pay additional $250. I have been a long-term customer for their auto and homeowners policy and it is very unfortunate they increased the premium by $250. Emailed the Care department to give them an opportunity to adjust the rates prior to posting a negative review. It's been more than 5 business days and still have not heard from them. Care team has an SLA of 24 hours, their response is long overdue. My intentions are to continue writing reviews on other social media sites until I hear back from Esurance.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was involved in an accident where another driver struck my vehicle last May 2018. We got out, swapped insurance info and she took off. I called the police, but decided that the damage to my vehicle was easily fixed and decided against filing a report and a claim. I would just fix it myself. The police officer said I couldn't prove who the other driver was or even that it was their car so this seemed like the best course of action. I got a call the next week that the other driver filed against me saying that I hit them. I submitted photos I had taken of my vehicle where clearly I was struck. There was no police report, nothing to prove that I had ever even met this person.

My claim was mysteriously closed shortly after. Case closed... until I got my renewal letter and my rates more than doubled!! I called customer service to ask why and they looked into it and agreed that I shouldn't have been at fault for that accident. Of course, try and get ahold of my claims adjuster via phone or email and you can't!! I finally called a supervisor because they were going to auto-draft my payment soon. Magically my claims adjuster was on the phone with me saying they ruled against me - without proof!! I asked why I wasn't notified and she said, "I'm sorry you're unsatisfied with our communication." And HUNG UP ON ME!! Now I have an accident and my rates are ludicrous but nobody else will cover me without high rates too because it's on my record. I wish I could leave them, but now I'm stuck!

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have had this insurance for over 5 years, no accidents, no tickets, nothing. Insurance keeps going up and up and up. Then I go to add a new driver, and I can't get a decent quote from them. When I finally do, I'm told my insurance is going to go up by $288 a month! Yes, the driver is a new driver, but he is 21 (not 16). But wait, I'm told that my next bill (which was in 6 days) was going to be the same as it has been because it is too late to change it, so the following billing will be going up by $576! Then 2 days later I'm notified that my next payment (now in 4 days) will be going up by $600! I don't have that kind of money laying around! When I called in, I was put on hold for 15 minutes. I'm over them, and will be cancelling my policy as soon as possible.

Original review: March 30, 2019

ON my lunch break on March 08, 2019 I went to Costco to get fuel because I had to make a trip immediately after work and was low on gas. At the Costco fuel island, the traffic is all one way. All the pumps were occupied, so I put my vehicle in line and waited. To expedite things, I had already popped my fuel lid. When the two vehicles in front of me left the pump, I pulled up to the first pump, put my vehicle in park, turned it off and got out. Stop to door opening time took maybe a minute. When I opened my door... WHAM! A lady passing between the fuel lanes struck my door. At first I thought she was going to drive away and I took out my phone and started taking pictures of her vehicle. She noticed and pulled over. I asked where she came from, because she was not getting fuel at one of the other pumps. She stated she saw me park and waited for me, but then decided I was going to take a long time.

What? I could not have parked and exited much faster! Anyway, she asked if I wanted to settle with cash or use insurance. Indicating to me that she planned on accusing me of causing the collision. When I called eSurance to report the accident, she had long called them and filed a claim. I had checked with Costco to see if they had video of the fuel island. They said they did, but could not release it without a court order. I stated this to eSurance, and they stated they could get the video. I asked that they let me know where this lady came from and if she was driving at a safe speed.

eSurance said to go ahead and take my vehicle to the collision center for estimates. It was a lot worse than I thought. There was damage to the roof, sunroof, frame, the whole driver's door had to be replaced. Then I get an email from eSurance saying they have paid the claimant. I forwarded the email to the claims adjuster and inquired why the other party was being paid for damages. He did not respond. I called the claims number. I was told the claims adjuster was not available all week. Another claims adjuster said the claim stated that I said I caused the collision. That is a lie!

They said, "we have a recording of you saying so." I said that is a lie! Let's listen to the whole recording together. She said that when I park, I have a responsibility to make sure the area is clear before I open my door. I responded that I had, I again repeated that I don't know where the lady came from. I asked, what about the other party's responsibility? The lady said she would have a senior adjuster review the claim. Later I get a voicemail stating the claim was reviewed and their position has not changed. If anyone has any suggestions for an external resource investigate eSurance in Texas, I would like to know references. Thanks!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Just on the phone with a representative by the name of Derek **. I was trying to get a quote for auto and homeowners insurance. I was asked how many people would move in and I explained it would be six (me, my husband, and four children I stated). He then asked if I had any dogs, animals, or wild exotic animals. I stated no. His reply in mid of my reply was "well besides your kids." I was in shock but tried not to let it get to me and just chuckled it off. This man knew we were ** being we live in Detroit and by my voice. Either way to reference a customer's children as wild exotic animals is absurd.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was looking for the most economic auto insurance. Esurance looked good for the initial quote but after one month the cost went up. I had added my 16 yr old who is an A student and has no accidents or tickets. It went up by $125 per month. I went to cancel and found out the cancellation fee is $195. For one month of auto insurance, it will cost me $695. I am still going to cancel as I would never stay with a company like this. I was previously paying $325/month for the same thing with another auto insurance. Beware!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Rear ended by Esurance driver on 3/22/2019. Esurance totaled car. Received 85% payment from them on 3/7/2019. On 3/14/2019 was told that remainder of payment was being processed but could be two weeks or longer. On 3/15/2019 was told that rental car was due back today. Told Esurance we needed rental car to get to/from work/school until we can replace damaged vehicle - cannot replace damaged vehicle until we get 100% of money - which could be two or more weeks. Said we do not have funds to rent car for two or more weeks while Esurance drags their feet on this.

Told by Esurance adjuster: "Your financial situation is not my problem". Asked adjuster why we have to pay out of our pocket when we did nothing wrong - their driver was at fault. Was told Esurance company policy was to provide rental car for two days, three at the most and that we should be thanking him for letting us have the car for three weeks. Given supervisor's name and number. Called several times. Will not return calls. Contacted my agent at Farmers and was told that normal business practice by insurance companies, including Farmers, is to provide rental car until 100% of money is delivered to the accident victim.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Expensive and the worst customer service ever. Calling someone and getting service is like bothering someone that hates working. If you enjoy paying for a service that is nonexistent and want to throw money away. This is the company for you! Switched insurance company eventually and still am dealing with an open claim 4 months later.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Provided all information during the quoting process. After I agreed to the policy they raised the premium $400! The reasons they gave was for information already provided during the quoting process. Over a month now and I still have not received a direct answer. They will go around in circles with you but never actually answer your concerns. I even have an email that states, “I know this is not the answer you were hoping for nor is this the answer we like to give”.

Is this a joke? I just want an answer to the question I am asking: Why was information provided during the quoting process used later to increase the premium? Not the answer they would like to give? And what answer would that be? What does that even mean? Is there an answer but they don’t want to give it? I have received conflicting information throughout the process as well. Your emails are never answered by the same person and sometimes even feel automated. Total disaster. If this is how they handle a new policy process I’m and terrified to see how they handle a claim.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My 6 month policy auto renewed a month early and over $1000 was taken from my bank. Called customer service to cancel the renewal for a refund and was told it would take 48 hrs to refund the money. Three days later I called to see what was going on and was told that my bank has to verify the payment. Called the bank and was told that the payment cleared. Called Esurance again and was told that it could take 7 to 10 days now. I asked to speak to a supervisor (was actually helpful) and we both three-way called the bank for verification. That went well and the next step was to have billing process the refund. Later told that a manager has to sign off on it first because the refund was so high. Holy hell what a PITA. They will immediately take $ out of my account without notice but make me wait several days to get it back. That kind of money can break your budget so it would be nice to give a little notice in advance.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was with Esurance for several years. I don't have any accident until Jan 2019. That is when the nightmare started. I called claim department 3 times, nobody pick up the call and get disconnected automatically. Then I called the customer service and ask for anyone to help me with my claims. Then I was told nobody is there. She does not know why. What is funny now is that, she just hang up my call. Then I try to call back and wait about for 30 mins, nobody take my call. This is all about their customer service. Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!!

Original review: March 2, 2019

They could not explain why my rate went up by $68 out of the blue. They kept telling me, "We're an online company and we send out emails." That's it. No logic, no rhyme or reason. I scoured through two months of emails to find nothing from them. They couldn't even explain the charge. Basically just told me if I was charged that amount, it must be right. Well, it's been two days with an overdrawn account, so no groceries or gas this week. It's such a shame that policies like this have become the status quo. Just milking their own customers for no apparent reason other than greed. I opened a claim with my bank, but that could take a week. Until then, cautiously hoping to find a provider with some kind of ethics. Ha, good luck, right?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Esurance is the worst company I had to deal with. Got hit by a teenager insured by this company and my nightmare started. They are the worst, made my life miserable for two months. I wish I could write all the time I spent on the phone with them going back and forth, emails, etc, they always pushing to get my car totaled, gave me a terrible offer, I lost a ton of money with them. I wish I could have the time to fight them but they know that you are a victim and you are having a bad time so they use that in the negotiation. I wish you never have to deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This is a company with Luddites. All customer service are clueless about tech and they claim to be E Commerce. The main app redirects to Safari browser. I had issues from empty pages to inability to view PDF files. Then there’s DriveSense. I installed this in my Android phone. I wanted the discount. It does not record my trips even though it states it’s in progress. Call anyone for IT assistance and you can’t get them. I think they purposely break things to keep jobs. After reporting website issues the next day it said “bugs are fixed”. Not. Not looking for discounts and want to work with Luddites? Go ahead. I’m afraid of issues on claims! I’m moving on.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

When I went to purchase the insurance, the price was 8% higher than the quote page. I spoke with an Esurance agent who said that we had a claim on our record. Per his suggestion, I provided a NO FAULT letter from my current insurer which raised my rate another 6%. The agent told me that it would be cheaper to keep this accident on my record and he didn't understand why? How can anyone do business with a company like this? What a waste of my time!

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on-the-go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky