Esurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Online quote from 4/29/2017 was for 108.00 per month. When I called in to get the insurance on 5/4/2017 the quote was 211.00 per month. The guy said it's because of my one speeding ticket from 2014. I told him I had added that online when I did the quote online already and they gave me 108.00 per month. Company is a total scam.

I was absolutely floored when I received a letter stating that my Premium was being increased $780.00 for 6 months. Yes I rear ended someone in October. Approx. $3000.00 was paid out for my car but nothing was paid out on the other car. My monthly payment is going from $214.00 to $351.00. That is just insane. I've never heard of Insurance going up that high. I'll be shopping around. Very disappointing. I always thought they were such a great company to deal with. But this changed my views.

One of their insured hit my truck from behind on April 4th and I've been calling them to check the status of the claim. I keep getting the same results. "There is nothing we can do until we talk to our policy holder." So what am I supposed to do, WAIT... I just want my truck fixed. And to top it off they want to install aftermarket parts. My truck was all original parts before this happened. Seems like they are taking to least expensive route. NEVER WILL RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE.

I found a better deal on home insurance. I cancelled my policy with Esurance. They are charging a $50 cancellation fee! I've never seen a company charge that before for homeowners or auto insurance. All other companies have just given a prorated refund. They lost my auto insurance business from high prices last year. Now they are dead to me. Do yourself a favor and skip these jokers entirely. Esurance is all marketing and no quality. They are overpriced. They will steal your $50 too if you try and leave.

The absolute worst company I have ever worked it. I put in a claim through Esurance after their client hit me on the side. The ignorance I heard was that they would only cover 80% because they felt I should have taken "evasive action". Since when is victim blaming good customer service? I should have known another driver was going to jump in my lane and hit me? It's a rip off. And the claims rep Michelle ** is the most unprofessional woman I have ever worked with. Laughing at me on the phone as if my claim is a joke to her. I will never recommend this terrible company to anyone. Refusing to take 100% liability when all evidence shows I was hit from the side and going forward. I will give one star only because 0 stars won't be allowed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

My car was involved in a hit and run December 2016. The auto shop they sent me to Service King was not good. They couldn't fix my car until February 2017. Also never estimated all the damages to my car. Esurance wouldn't completely fix my car. Some of the damages are not from the accident. Not true! When I put my claim in external and internal damages was S stated to Esurance. I was a loyal customer for years with two vehicles. Esurance only wants to pay so much out and that's it. There should never be a limit to fixing a car after the vehicle is damaged, or cash out. Also went up on my insurance, I canceled my insurance. The best could have done. I have 45 dollar savings a month, with extras I couldn't afford with Esurance.

I canceled my policy in January because the rates were adjusted for because of the "annual" reassessment and I found rates lower than what I was paying before the adjustment. I had the drive sense and was told I had 30 days from the day my policy ended in mid-February to return the device. I asked if I could return it early and was told I could. I sent the device back using the label they sent me and even received confirmation of its delivery from UPS.

Fast forward to the beginning of March and I received a bill for the restocking fee of the device. I called them to let them know I sent it back and the rep had to put me on hold for 8 minutes while she searched for proof it was delivered. I gave her the date it was delivered and the name of the person who signed for it. She then said ok and she would waive the restocking fee. I thought the matter closed until 4/11 when I got a call from a collection agency regarding my non-payment of the restocking fee. They threatened my credit number and they even went as far as to say if I had paid my bills they wouldn't need to call me.

I sent the agency proof of the waived fee and then I called Esurance to find out why it was turned over to collections when I already took care of everything back in January. The rep said their computers were down and she couldn't access the system and it should be resolved in a week. When I said that was unacceptable I was told their system was down and that is the best they could do. Long story short I now have to wait a week to see this resolved. I left them because they're system was always down and there are better rates to be had elsewhere and this is just one more example of the horrible customer service they offer. Their hold times are outrageous. Their system seems to be down all the time. They have no empathy for their customers or those they inconvenience and their "too bad, so sad" attitude is absolutely unacceptable.

ESURANCE IS a rip off! Charging me a $50 cancellation fee? I have been with them for two years. The first time calling for help they told me I'm not covered for that! Second and last time they told me I have to wait for 48 hours for the changes to take effect. ESURANCE IS a rip off. Bunch of liars and thieves! The only time they are nice is when I call in to cancel, and they try to sell me more! Allstate is ruining their name by having ESURANCE next to it. All customers should cancel ESURANCE and buy a better policy. I saved $50 a month switching to Geico, and I have 3 cars. I will review esurance until I am refunded my money. So GLAD TO BE OUT OF THESE WORTHLESS PEOPLE. Do your family a favor and leave before you are left hanging on the road.

HORRIBLE COMPANY. Want a company with poorly trained CS Reps? Go with Esurance! Want a company that promises you one pricing structure and charges you another? Go with Esurance. Want to call a company 8 times and still have no one get back to you? Go with Esurance. I would like to give less stars if I could. Too bad I'm stuck with them since they want to charge $50 to get away from them. You get what you pay for and there is a reason they looked good on pricing.

I was in an auto accident (for the most part head-on). My car was towed by Esurance to their estimate yard. That was almost one week ago and I am still waiting for a decision on the vehicle. I called this morning and explain to my adjustor that I am left in limbo by their indecision. I can't spend the money for a rental when I might need it for a down payment. I am relying on friends to get around and to medical appointments and wearing out my welcome.

If I don't have a vehicle of some kind by next week when I go on call, then I can be fired from my job. The response I got from my adjustor is "I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do. I have to wait for the estimate. They usually take 24-48 hours, but sometimes longer. We might have it hopefully by tomorrow." Seriously?! Thanks for caring for a customer who has been loyal to your company for years! I have paid my premiums and now when I need you to do things in the same timely manner you are giving me the "Oops! Good luck!" treatment? Yeah, I think I need to check out Progressive.

They should get negative stars. They are the worst car insurance company I have ever dealt with. I was hit by their customer. They showed concern until it was time to settled and stated their doctor stated my condition was pre-existing from 2008. I have recovered from that accident and my 2015 MRI showed 3 disk bulges since my last MRI. It doesn't matter what all my doctors said or what I said or what the MRI or X-ray said. I was told first my pain recovery check was for $6500. I waited for weeks for the check. Then I called him and he told me the check is also for Medical payments. I told him it does not make sense since my medical payments is more than $6500. Esurance agent told me that medicare only take $200-$300 for medical payment and he will let me know the amount before he sends the check to medicare. Instead, he did not let me know and sent the entire check to medicare for $6500. Again, more lies.

I called, he did not acknowledge the mistake and told he doesn't know what Medicare is going to take. I asked him what I should do now since you sent the entire check to medicare. He told me to contact Medicare. I contacted Medicare and Medicare told me to write them a letter to explain the circumstances. Today, I found out the Medicare is going to send a check to Esurance in the amount of $3451.88. Again, another lie, the medical payment was not $200-300. The medical payment that Medicare took from my supposedly check for pain in suffering as I and he first agreed was $3048.12. They are unprofessional, insensitive and only in it for their profit margin. They are only good for low-balling people that can not get attorneys.

Beware of Jacob ** from Esurance! My car ended up with some hail damage after the recent storm. I anticipated being able to use my "full coverage" insurance to repair this damage, and figured that the only cost to me would be the deductible. Boy, was I sadly mistaken? My ordeal begins when he sends me to get an estimate at Caliber Collision, which is where they send all policy holders that live in this area. Caliber Collision gives me this high estimate on my car for more than $6,000. Six thousand dollars. For hail damage.

The estimate sounded a bit high to me, but I figured that all I needed to worry about was the $500 deductible. At this point, the process seemed fairly routine and I thought that everything was fine. I was feeling relieved about having kept up with my policy and was looking forward to getting a mini-makeover for my car. Little did I know that it was going to hurt me in the long run. Apparently, with Esurance, even seemingly cosmetic damage is enough to cause their adjusters to total out a car. They gave me a check for an amount that was barely a fraction of the estimate provided by Caliber. Adding insult to injury, they put salvage on my title.

My message to everyone is that if your car is older, it isn't worthwhile to have full coverage on it. The insurance company will happily set up a full coverage policy for you and take your money each month, but will not take care of you when the time comes. As if all this wasn't bad enough, when I started shopping other companies, I discovered that they screwed me over previously when my car was hit as it was parked. They filed it under collision instead of comprehensive. They are super **.

They're unfair and racist. The claims manager, Debbie ** in Florida, who is Donna's boss, is discriminating against me and refusing to pay for the steering mechanical damage that my car is exhibiting following recovery from a theft. I believe her delay may be based on your race because she has already made accusations of fraud against me to my attorney and the adjuster based on the area of Chicago in which I live and suggested that you would purposefully damage the steering to my own vehicle. She is also purposefully delaying payment of my claim when she and her investigator Tony, also in Florida, already have third-party statements from the gas station where your auto was stolen that the vehicle was driven off site, which it could not have done if the steering was broken prior to theft.

Debbie also has statements from the dealer where the vehicle was immediately towed (because it could not be driven when the police found it running with the windows down) that the power steering is broken and requires repair in addition to the other damage that was exhibited upon recovery. Today I learned that Tony was told a few days following the date of loss that he could attain the video tape from the gas station with a police request and that similar thefts had taken place at the same gas station recently. Instead of following up and attaining the tape through the police or even sending a letter to the gas station to make a copy for your company, Tony did nothing.

As of today, the tape has been recorded over and lost the proof that the police could have used to arrest the person who stole and damaged my car if Tony had done what he told the gas station he was going to do last week. Even though you live in the area of Chicago that the President says is the worst in America, doesn't give her the right to play games and not pay my claim. I work hard so that you can have a quality vehicle. I pay good money for your insurance and always pay on time. This is unacceptable from any insurance company.

I was driving on I-10 on 2/2/17 when I hit a tractor trailer tire tread at 70mph that was hit into my lane by another vehicle. According to all of the representatives and manager I spoke with, this was avoidable. And you as a driver are to take evasive maneuvers so you won't be found at fault and your rates won't go up. So if you want to pay more just react while driving and ignore other traffic. Apparently, this is policy for Esurance and for all insurance companies. I have informed them that I will be taking my 3 vehicle full coverage policy elsewhere. Maybe another company will like my thousands of dollars. Shame on you Esurance.

My rates increases although I have no points on my license, driving record is clean, and then when I inquire about the increase, I am told they will get back to me, and guess what? I never hear feedback. My most recent claim was a theft and complete and total loss of my vehicle, I put the claim in 08/2016 and it has yet to be resolved, they have interviewed me three times even under oath in front of their attorney asking the same questions, they have interviewed my spouse, I have provided them several documents, and they keep asking for more and more and something different every other week.

If it wasn't for the fact I have a supportive spouse and family and they were able to get me another vehicle, I would be out of a vehicle. The way Esurance has handled my claim has been absolutely horrendous! They have wasted my time, money, and caused me undue anxiety pain and stress to the point I am now seeing a therapist. All because they don't want to pay!!! But they can surely take my money every month!! As soon as this claim is completed, Esurance will not get another dime of my money nor my business, and I will be urging everyone I can to STAY AWAY if they know what's best for them.

Worst service ever! First of all, my rate kept hiking up every term without me getting into an accident or anything. My car is an 2004 Pontiac Vibe. A couple of weeks ago, I got into an accident where I hit a patch of ice and jacked up my back left wheel and axle. Their first mistake was towing my car to a place 45 MIN AWAY FROM MY HOUSE when I had a tow yard just 10 minutes away from my house. I was shocked to find out that it was totaled. It really wasn't but they claim that it was a $4000 job which I highly doubt.

Second mistake came when giving the value of my car. My car was undervalue by at least $1000 according to their estimate. They don't use KBB which values my car at a higher rate. I even called the dealership where I got the car and they said that Esurance was stiffing me. I did NOT appreciate my claims handler talking over me every time I had a question. So disrespectful! The nail in the coffin came today when I realized that I won't be getting any money to buy a new car and all the money goes to my dealership. At this point, I feel like I would have been better off not having insurance if this was going to be the end result. This company doesn't care about their customers. I'm taking my business elsewhere!

I have been sitting on hold for hours. I have been hung up on, laughed at, and told that my rates going up is just what happens. I am a safe driver, no accidents, and my car hasn't left the driveway in months due to I am disabled. Run for the hills!!!

My wife and daughter were hit from behind in a car we had for about two months. Esurance came in and ran roughshod over us trying to form us to settle the claim. They wanted to total out our vehicle. With their crappy GAP insurance included, we were still going to lose about $4000 paying for a car we could no longer own if they did that. We want our car fixed. They even forced the person's insurance, AAA, not to deal with us. They have tried every underhanded threat in the book, including trying to force us to sign over power of attorney, have tried to pick up our vehicle and take it to a salvage yard (we have it at a body shop and are not being charged storage fees) without our permission. Now they are threatening to close the claim because we won't allow them to just total out our vehicle. Please, please stay away from them.

I purchased my 6 month policy for 255.00 on 12/2/15. My first payment was 85.95. The person who sold me the policy said I would have a payment reserve in case I couldn't pay a bill which was the main reason I went with Esurance. I paid my payments of 47.45 with no problem until 04/2015 I figured the payment reserve I was promised would cover it but I kept getting billed so I called customer service and was told that Esurance don't have a payment reserve so they canceled my policy for nonpayment on 4/25/16.

Not complicated, choose your insurance, transfers are easy. Had to transfer insurance from one car to another, got new rate immediately. You get to choose what coverage you want, get quote right then.

I switched to Esurance because their rates at the time were a bit cheaper. After 1 claim less than 7000 dollars I was sent an email saying they wouldn't be renewing my policy. On top of that they sent their own person out to assess the damage for that "one" claim and then they ended up going against their own person in order to pay out less on the claim. My claim adjuster called me on her cellphone after hours... yelling at her boyfriend in between getting my info. Esurance is absolutely the worst company ever. I've been a homeowner for over a decade and have never seen anything worse.

In Aug 2016 I began car shopping. In an effort to streamline emails, I created a Gmail account specifically for this purpose. It turns out that I bought a car much faster than I expected and only used the email address ONCE... when I tried to get a quote from Esurance, I was able to get a quote online, but when I called from the dealership to secure coverage I was told I couldn't be insured due to a "no fault" accident on my record. Ok, fine. I moved on.

However about two months later the scam phone calls started, a few here and there at first, and increasing to as many as 5-6 per day. All random local numbers so I feel I have to answer. Mostly people trying to extend a car warranty for a Honda that I never owned, and then some from actual car dealerships saying they got my info from a marketing list saying I was searching for a new Honda. When I would actually speak to someone, the email address they had on file was the one I only used for my Esurance quote. Looks like I should've used a fake phone number, too. If my phone number didn't have meaning to me (weird, I know) I'd change it.

It is nearly impossible to speak to a human when reporting an accident, service does not include a tow truck during an accident claim. It is believed the company did not investigate thoroughly to determine who was at fault. The customer service is very poor. The cost of the policy is a major factor, you get exactly what you pay for with this company.

Never made it to being an Esurance customer since I was never able to get an accurate quote! On 12/23/16, I received an online quote for auto insurance on three vehicles and received a quote of $549 / 6 months. While trying to purchase this policy, the session timed-out and I had to log back in to retrieve the quote only NOW, the quoted premium was $591 / 6 months. Thinking that there was an error in the quote, I reentered all of my information for a new quote -- surprisingly (or not) the premium was now $612 / 6 months and I gave up for the day.

On 12/24/16, I tried again... Retrieved my previous quote for $591 and tried to purchase but, after having to reenter my information that was supposed to be "saved", the premium was now $622, $641, $643 and $653 for the EXACT SAME COVERAGE LIMITS that were quoted at $549 just the day before! I called and complained to customer service and tried to get them to make sense of the ever-changing (although ALWAYS changing to be a few dollars more, never less), the explanation I got was something to the effect of, "Quoted premiums are subject to change, Policy premiums are set and do not change." My answer to that was, "I understand that quoted premiums might change or fluctuate a couple of dollars of the course of a few days or weeks or months but increasing almost $100 within 12 hours is ridiculous!" The representative basically advised me that there was nothing they could do about the premium -- take it or leave it.

After reading all of these other reviews about non-existent customer service and claims processing, I'm glad that I didn't make the same mistake! If an insurance company can't even offer a reliable QUOTE process, what hope would there be for having the company's support in the event of an accident (which IS what we pay for, RIGHT??).

My vehicle was hit while I was at work. I had to file claim, take time off work, and fight them with every step to get my car fixed. They even tried to talk the guy who hit me into blaming me. Good things we are friends as I was in the building when he hit my car. Very unethical practices going on here. First your guy hits my car. Second: I have to miss a day of work to deal with it. Third: in order to get a rental car, I had to drive 45 miles, then you argue with me about it. Fourth: you argue with me about all aspects of fixing my car, reimbursement, and I lost all value in my car. I have been nice, tried to work with you and nothing but attitude and disrespect. Never ever buy this insurance, this is a horrible company to deal with.

I feel swindled by this company for a second time, 12 years apart. The first time was so flagrant and undefendable that I thought after 12 years that a national company would have corrected their policy. The first time they quite simply gave me a cost and shortly thereafter arbitrarily raised it. After I initially agreed and sent them the money that they asked for to get the policy started, they contacted me by email raising the price. When I complained, also by email in case it matters, they did not respond. I found out at this point that to cancel the policy would cost me $50, and I would also pay for the brief period during which they insured my car. Instead I decided to stay the 6 months rather that just plain lose $50.

The second time just lately, it was essentially the same experience except that they went to the extra step of telling me why they were raising the initial rate, which was based on the amount of mileage that I estimated that I'd be driving in the upcoming year. They asked for proof and suggested past service repair receipts. When I supplied them with these documents that verified the same mileage that I had stated on the application, they ignored this evidence and upon receiving it they again insisted that my premium would be the higher amount. I told them "no", that I would not pay it and told them to cancel the policy, which now for two weeks had been active, and that if they did not refund the full amount of the deposit, I would let others know that they are a dishonest and deceptive company thru reviews like this one.

So that is it. I am out $75 even though we never even agreed on a price. But they had my good faith deposit, so there was nothing that I could do. My car has 65,000 miles on it after 15 years of use, all put on by me except for the first year. I am still trying to get insured at a lower rate than the typical car owner who puts on 15,000 miles a year. On top of that, as of 6 months ago I have been living in a rural area. We drive our car today only once every week or two. The proof I sent them was two service repair receipts that showed that during the most recent 4 month period between these repairs I drove about 2000 miles, or 500 miles a month, extrapolated to 6000 miles a year.

I.S.O. new Auto Insurance due to AIG/21st Century discontinuity 10 states. In my certified letter from them they recommend Esurance. My quote was as follows:

For State Mandated Minimum $306.00 for 6 months. For matching my current policy which is near doubling the amount of state mandated minimums the cost would be less $292.00 for 6 months. It is simply impossible to purchase more insurance and pay less. Upon inquiries, I was told, "Well all insurance prices fluctuate". Really??? Same policy w/ 21st for 16 years. I had 3 price changes. 1. When I changed vehicles. 2. When I added a 2nd vehicle. 3. When I became a safe driver my cost went down. You can read the writing on the wall. They intend to continue to jack up my rate until I'm paying what they really want to charge and no doubt they will add a hefty policy cancellation fee to boot. Buyer beware!

OK first off I was in two accidents. Not a fault. My insurance company knew that. I told them that the van was totally messed up. Non-drivable. This lady adjuster for it fixed anyway after I told her that the van was smoking and she knew I was going out of town for a funeral. She was sneaky and did it anyway. Never kept in contact with me as I ask her to keep me posted. This is my van. I can't believe this. Now I have no vehicle. They refuse to help me in no way shape or form. So disappointed with this company. I tried to talk to corporate office but I think they lie about having a real corporate office because I kept getting the same person or department. Sad. I will do everything I need to do to make sure this company don't keep lying to others. Scam because I paid insurance for over 4 months and I didn't even have the van. It was in the shop non-drivable. Like why am I paying insurance if they can't help. Fruitless right.

I had Esurance for approximately three months when what I would consider to be a fraudulent claim was submitted to my adjuster. I provided detailed accounts and documentary evidence that rebuffed the claims of the claimant. Despite my opposition, Esurance ignored all my protests and sided with the other side. They hid behind a claim that they were "doing it to protect me". When I talked to an underwriter, however, I was informed my rates would go up.

This seems to me like a blatant attempt to harm their consumer base. I feel like my story had been entirely ignored and my documentary evidence was not listened to. I fully intend to seek legal action in the near future based on my experience. I wholeheartedly do not recommend using their services. Their rates ended up being double what another competitor's were.

I've had Esurance since February 2016. They repeatedly failed to report my policy to loan company numerous times causing me to spend hours on the phone with both companies getting out straightened out. Once it was finally settled I thought I was good to go. Then in Sept, I renewed my policy and they switched me from full coverage (unbeknownst to me). My car payment almost doubled. I called my loan company and found this information out, I was never notified or called by Esurance. I'll be switching companies first thing Monday. I now owe hundreds to my loan company because Esurance switched me from full coverage and didn't tell me. I called Esurance and the lady rudely said I should have noticed my bill went down. I told her to check again, my bill NEVER WENT DOWN and she checked and then said "oh". I will never do business with them again.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
  • Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.
  • Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.
  • Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.
  • Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Compare Auto Insurance