Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
3.16/5

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Backed by AllState and serving 43 states, Esurance is one of the first companies to offer insurance directly to customers online or on the phone. Customers are attracted to the ease of getting quotes and managing their accounts online with a suite of interactive tools and mobile apps.

PROS

• Offers coverage for damages not caused by an accident, such as fire and vandalism
  • Provides SR-22 for drivers with high-risk insurance policies
  • Carries attractive coverages and discounts
  • Standout mobile apps include CoverageMyWay, DriveSense, RepairView Program
  • Backed by financially strong AllState

CONS

• Prices relatively higher than competitors
  • No agents to contact

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

965 Esurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I was really happy about choosing Esurance. Until, I moved. My payment went up by $70. I asked why they said "Would thieves steal from the bad neighboorhood you used to live with or the nice one you live in now." And later in the conversation..."If you have a crappy car and you get into an accident in your new neighboorhood - you're not going to be hitting another crappy car - you're going to be hitting a nice car and we have to account for that." Really? I was so offended I didn't even know how to respond. I understand that they may have to raise it by something but $70 is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We were struck from behind while stopped because of a traffic jam on the interstate on Thanksgiving Day. After over 2 weeks, the Esurance adjuster, Mason **, says cannot determine liability because no one from his company was there when the accident occurred. He also told me if I didn't like the way he was handling the claim, I "could file with my own carrier". When I explained I would have to pay my deductible if I filed with them, he said he "didn't tell me to get a high deductible policy and that wasn't my problem". He also told me he "had no obligation to talk to me" because he had handled the claim. This is my only experience with Esurance, and it has been terrible.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Was not told about $50 cancelation fee and was treated very poorly by customer service reps when trying to cancel. I was even hung up on during the call!! I would not recommend this auto insurance to anyone. I was a loyal customer for several years and they increased my rates for no reason.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I have been an Esurance customer since 2016. In November 2018 Esurance did not direct debit my monthly payment from my bank account. I called to inquire about this and was told on November 19th that the payment was scheduled to be deducted from my account that day. Two days later I received an email notice saying that my insurance has been cancelled! I call Esurance about this and it turns out they were trying to take the money from a different credit card which had been used previously to make a "one-time only" payment.

The customer service rep even read to me that it was noted in their system that was to be used for a one-time-only payment! I questioned why no-one read that and why they didn't use the default credit card that was on file and had been being used for years to pay the monthly premiums. Needless to say, the customer service rep said she would reinstate the insurance dating it back to November 19th. That way it would show the insurance coverage as uninterrupted. Esurance notified the State of Illinois that my policy was cancelled. No one took the time to notify the State of Illinois that the policy was not cancelled.

On November 30th I call Esurance again when I found out this information about the state of Illinois, and asked why the state had not been notified that my insurance was in fact and effect. The woman on the phone, named Carol, took a considerable amount of time investigating what went on with my policy. Carol said she needed more time to investigate the situation and said that she would call me back because it would take more time for her investigation. She also said if she didn't call me back that day she would call me the next, day which was Saturday December 1st. I have not heard anything back from that person. Esurance bumbled my insurance and they sent out some incorrect information to the state of Illinois along with an incorrect form, which will cause me trouble with the State of Illinois if it is not corrected! I'm really considering dropping this company as my auto insurer.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Their customer service is terrible...it was fast and easy to sign up. Later they did auto pay without my knowledge and when I called in because they were about to cancel my policy I got the runaround. The hold times are ridiculous and 3 of the 4 people I talked to were argumentative for no reason. Just a bad experience. I regret going with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

DO NOT GET INSURANCE THROUGH THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE GIVEN FALSE INFORMATION. Call them multiple time and have months wasted with money lost and no resolution. I finally cancelled my policy after months of going back and forth with this company. I have called them every single month since July to change a card number on file and to NO avail was it removed. I was continually told they took it off yet they IN FACT DID NOT. Causing my account to go into the negative and charge a fee of $34 to my account for them charging my account and not having the available funds.

Today I was told basically, "Too bad." I’m not getting refunded for the fees. Well their loss is greater than mine I guess because they have completely lost a customer! I held multiple policies with them on multiple vehicles & drivers. They do not value customers nor care about customers cancelling because without issue they cancelled right away and did not even try to retain my business. That alone speaks for itself. Worst customer experience ever. Goodbye for good Esurance, I advise you proceed with caution. There are MUCH BETTER companies out there!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I recently sign up for Esurance. The very first month, they took a monthly payment from my checking account. Left me in a negative balance and a insufficient funds fee. I NEVER signed up for automatic pay... I told them I wanted this paid back including the insufficient funds fee. Haven't heard a word... This act left me in a very dangerous situation as I had lifesaving meds to buy. Now I can't get my meds. Beware of this company... Sneaky.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I got into a car wreck that wasn’t our fault. Esurance took forever to even get back to us. After a week they sent the medical paper to get checked out. Now it has been 8 days since I lost my car due to being totaled. Now we have to wait 7-10 more business days to get a check in the mail. I can’t believe a online insurance company can’t even direct deposit the money. Don’t use this company if you have only one vehicle. You will be stuck riding the bus.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I've been an Esurance customer for years now. I have a 2015 Mustang GT which was hit while parked. An estimate was initially given and a check was sent to the dealership for repairs. Once the dealership took the car apart they found additional damage. They issued a supplement to Esurance FOUR times and no response from Esurance at all. So my car has been sitting there for 2 months! No return calls from Esurance to myself or the dealership. My policy is still current and active. STAY AWAY FROM ESURANCE.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I've had Esurance for a few years now. About a year ago, I got rear ended by someone with no insurance. Esurance was so easy to work with and really helped me out. Sometimes the phone hold times were pretty long but once I got someone on the phone, they always answered my questions and provided a lot of reassurance since I was so worried that the other person had no insurance. They got my car repaired quickly without any problems. It's a good policy for the price I pay. I'd recommend them to friends and I'm happy to continue having them as my auto insurance provider, too.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I really like how easy it is to use Esurance. I have never had a problem and have always had my questions answered when needed. I love the auto payment every month and the auto-renewal every term. Sometimes they raise my rates for no reason. This can be a little annoying sometimes.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Worst customer service agents, they are bullies and racist. I'm yet to call their customer service number and feel satisfied. I being overcharged for months and they said there is nothing they can do to reverse the past overcharge only the future payments. Bull - I would give them 0 stars.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I was on auto pay for my insurance till I noticed they keep taking more and more money. When questioned they say I didn't pay and when I point out the auto pay they say, "Oh your bill wasn't complete at that time so here is the remaining balance pay or be cancelled."

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Esurance has gone out of their way to make sure that I am happy. When I was going through the process to get a quote, they made sure get everything I wanted with nothing extra. They wanted to make me happy and make sure I was getting the right policy for my needs.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Esurance is the worst company ever for homeowners. They won't work with you or talk to you. They want your money and want to cancel you and then want a 50.00 dollar fee because you're cancelling before they do. What a corrupt company.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have been with Esurance for 6 years now and have been quite pleased. Their customer service is top notch and they're available 24/7 which is great. Their rates are reasonable and they allow payment plans which can be helpful. They are great for quickly processing claims too.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

When I was looking for an insurance company I wanted one that I could do most of the paperwork online. I hate having to constantly call someone or be bothered by an agent. I was able to sign up, with a lower rate, with no problems at all in a matter of minutes. Multiple discounts were offered and everything was clearly presented online. Overall an easy and painless process. I have thankfully never had to make a claim so I cannot speak to that department but I would recommend them overall.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

If I could give them a 0 star, I absolutely would! I was thinking of switching from Geico to Esurance to save myself some money. I have 1 car, that is financed and is driven less that 3,000 miles a year! I have the lowest coverage amounts, but did opt for towing/labor and a $500 deductible on both comprehensive and collision. they told me my monthly premium would be $103 and some change. So I go through the process and all of sudden I am told that I have to pay $354.92 upfront then $186.72 a month! Excuse me, but WHAT?!

When I chatted with a rep they told me they found 2 moving violations on my record that I had not reported; a speeding ticket from 2015 and a minor violation back in May of 2018. Both of these have been dismissed from my record by the DMV. They told me the jump in price was due to these "violations." I'm sorry, but charging a person nearly $200/mo for a single car that is driven less than 3,000 miles a year is highway robbery! The tickets are NOT on my record (I have confirmed this with the DMV), yet the rep from Esurance told me that this still affects the premium (again, I checked with the DMV and this is also false). I'm sorry but no, it does not.

Geico has never raised my rates and even they cannot find these "violations" that Esurance said that I had. I pay around $120/mo for my insurance with Geico and I will NEVER go with this company as they are out to nickel and dime you for stuff that doesn't even exist! DO NOT GO WITH ESURANCE! They will rob you of your money and make stuff up just to make you pay more!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I really like my insurance company as far as price and coverage are concerned. My main problem is when it comes to their customer service which can at times be very difficult to deal with. At times they seem to act like you are bothering them when you are talking to them about a issue. It can be pretty annoying.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

It is very easy to find the policy that you want or need for your car. I have it because the value is unmatched by other agencies. It has good coverage for a reasonable price. Since it is all online, every process you need to make is simple.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I was an Esurance customer for about three years and each year with no tickets or accidents, my premium increased every three months. Every time I inquired about it, they gave me excuses how their costs were increasing. When I don't have a claim and I do not increase coverage, my insurance premium should not increase.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Signing up for Esurance is easy. I ended up with them after comparing six different insurers, and their rates came out the lowest based on same level of coverage. Everything can be done online. Their customer service agents are friendly and speak regular English, which is a great plus. The only demerits are that they have no local agents, and they do not offer annual policies (only 6 month).

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have had a pleasant experience with Esurance since I have been with them. I had a wreck where someone rear ended me and they helped me every step of the way to sort it out. The only thing that did not give them 5 stars is their discount DriveSense app which says I am a risky driver even though I have no incidents.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have been with Esurance since 2011 and really enjoy being a customer of theirs. They are available in the customer service department, around the clock, and always willing to help and find the answers that I need. They are reasonably priced and provide adequate coverage for me!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

After not being insured for a year, I fell into the "high risk" group (because my state assumes you just kept driving, even if, like me, your car wasn't running, and must be punished), and needed affordable insurance. Everyone's price was stupidly high for it, but Esurance was the lowest, by hundreds, in some cases. For my situation, they were the best.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I can't think of any experience I had with them that was good. When I first got the quote, they were the cheapest. However, when I went to start the policy, they attempted to charge me 600.00 more than what they quoted. When I called, they had no explanation and ultimately removed the 600.00 and went back to the original quote. I only wish the shadiness ended there.

6 months later, when they automatically renewed my policy and charged my card, they added 800.00 to the cost of the policy. Same cars, no claims, same home address. When I called to ask them where the increase came from, the first lady told me it was a result of my teenager (who has never had an accident or made a claim). The supervisor then told me the increase was caused by my zip code (she thought). Nobody could give me a direct answer as to why the price jumped so much. So whatever, the money was already gone, it was clear after three hours on the phone with them that I wasn't getting it back. I made a note to self to switch companies before the next renewal came around. Sadly, the bs didn't stop there.

Fast forward four months and my daughter's 2008 car finally gave up the ghost. Instead of fixing the thing (again) I got her a brand new 2019 for a graduation present. My aging parents are currently staying at my house in Arizona while I'm out of town for work for a few months. So my mom decided she was "helping" and went to add the insurance to my daughter's new car. Somehow her not-so-technologically-inclined self managed to delete the daughter's 2008 car off the policy and also accidentally deleted the restoration project that's sitting in my garage off the policy. I got no email, no notice of cancellation and my mother said she had no idea she had deleted the project car.

8 weeks later, I get a fine from the state of Arizona for no insurance on the project car. I call Esurance and the first person told me there has not been insurance on that car for two months?! I tell them it was a mistake and since the policy was paid for all three cars (mine, the 2008 and the project) in advance for a full 6 months, and we paid the difference between the 2008 and the 2019 when we added it, we should just be able to add the project back on for the remainder of my already paid policy, right? Wrong!! They want an additional 700.00 for the project car to be added back on because removing both the 2008 and the project at the same time eliminated my multi car discount. To which I said "Didn't the 2019 just replace the 2008 on the policy? So don't I still have multiple cars insured?!" That policy should have never just had one car on it. She did not have an explanation.

I asked for a supervisor and told her that if my other two cars haven't been insured for the last two months, then I want my money back that I paid them to insure the cars for the full 6 months. She then told me that wasn't going to happen because when the other two cars came off, the cost of insuring the one remaining car on the policy magically increased to the exact amount that I had prepaid for all three for 6 months.

So when I asked how that was possible that I was basically paying to insure one car with two drivers that have no accidents, tickets, claims, etc. That this one car suddenly cost me almost 2600.00 for 6 months, her only response was "Well, you lost your multi car discount." "Ok... What about the 2019 that was replacing the 2008 that's still insured under that policy, doesn't that give me multiple cars?" And all she said is that it "wasn't set up like that." I told her again that her explanations were not making any sense and I wanted my money back. She said I wasn't going to get it. With no real explanation as to why. We only had 10 days left in our policy at that point so I switched everything back to State Farm that day. I will never go back to Esurance.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My pregnant fiance was T-boned by a teenager with a driving permit two weeks ago. It was a fairly serious accident and required an emergency room visit. Thankful our unborn baby is ok. Her Esurance agent and even his manager have not returned a single message from her. They have not contacted her at all. We ended up having to pay a $1,000 towing and storage fee as Esurance didn't even send an adjuster out to inspect the car. Along with the emergency room bill. Don't EVER use this company, I have been dealing with insurance companies for 20 years and have never seen anything like this. We are planning on taking legal action.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Esurance cancelled my policy 11 days prior to the end of my policy due to "not receiving payment" after they adjusted my rate. The check was received by Esurance from my mortgage company and representatives from both companies agreed to the method of payment. Esurance decided that they wanted to take up to 10 days to process the received payment and cancelled the policy... then charged me $50 for the cancelled policy. Would not recommend!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My adjuster was awesome. However the adjuster of the party who intentionally tried to run me off the road and is incarcerated as of today refuses to make a decision to reimburse my deductible from that party's policy because he needs to give this person time to respond because he's a customer of Esurance also. Documentation has been submitted of incarceration and charges yet I have to wait. The irony of this is the party and so valued customer who is being given time to respond even though they're incarcerated as of a month in a few days is the same person who filed a FALSE claim and talked rudely to whoever was over his claim and guess what happened? Esurance issues him a check the next week. I have made no false medical issues didn't add more to the story by God's grace I'm alive to tell what actually happened. I guess victims are last in line. I understand there's a process but I really feel I'm waiting unnecessarily.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

On 9-2-18 my truck broke down on the highway while towing my 16 ft. enclosed trailer, called for roadside assistance and to my disbelieve they can only tow my truck. We have all our business equipment in it. So $500.00 later. We received a voicemail that they had made a mistake and our trailer can be tow. We sent a letter and the bill to Esurance for reimbursement to get a call from the roadside assistance department that they only cover $75.00 toward the towing and only for the truck and trailer was not cover. So we decided to cancel before our renewed to find out they will charge a fee of $50.00 for early termination. Please ask questions to any insurance company and stay away from this company. They do not care for you.

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky