Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
2.84/5

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Backed by AllState and serving 43 states, Esurance is one of the first companies to offer insurance directly to customers online or on the phone. Customers are attracted to the ease of getting quotes and managing their accounts online with a suite of interactive tools and mobile apps.

PROS

• Offers coverage for damages not caused by an accident, such as fire and vandalism
  • Provides SR-22 for drivers with high-risk insurance policies
  • Carries attractive coverages and discounts
  • Standout mobile apps include CoverageMyWay, DriveSense, RepairView Program
  • Backed by financially strong AllState

CONS

• Prices relatively higher than competitors
  • No agents to contact

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

971 Esurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The price is great: I used to be with Nationwide with an traditional agent. I switched to Esurance and saved 30%. After I switched I totaled my car and had small water damage in my basement due to water heater failure. For both claims I dealt with the insurance adjusters and both were reasonable, punctual and efficient. They are using efficiencies and technology such as video claims, etc. They save money by not having a brick and mortar traditional agent, adjusters that have to come to your house, etc and pass on the savings. I recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

When I went to purchase the insurance, the price was 8% higher than the quote page. I spoke with an Esurance agent who said that we had a claim on our record. Per his suggestion, I provided a NO FAULT letter from my current insurer which raised my rate another 6%. The agent told me that it would be cheaper to keep this accident on my record and he didn't understand why? How can anyone do business with a company like this? What a waste of my time!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I tried to get a quote from Esurance. They kept taking me back to the same screen over and over. I never did get a quote even though I answered all the questions. I'll just stick with my current insurance company now that I've heard so many negative things about Esurance. I'm glad I didn't give them my phone number. I've heard they call you relentlessly!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Great company as far as pricing even with a somewhat bad record, and only takes about a half hour to get your car enrolled. After that, however, the customer service pretty much stops. Unless you're late I am assuming, then I am sure they will hit you up. If you get full coverage I am sure they will take care of you, because that is when they care, but if you are going for part coverage like I did, I wish you luck.

I was hit by an irresponsible driver with part coverage and Esurance didn't help me do anything really. My "agent" took the claim then didn't answer calls or emails for weeks, until I wrote in to complain at which point a manager called once, only to never return any calls back. I never did get a single ounce of help with them for the accident. I had to do all the back and forth with the insurance and figure things out for myself. The other insurance company helped me more than Esurance ever did. Because of all this...it's been a month and a half and this is still not over. Esurance sucks...worst customer service in history. I'm going to dump them as soon as I can find another company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We were loyal auto insurance customers with Esurance for 6 years. Our policy was canceled because the card they charged for renewal had a new expiration date. We corrected that issue within 48 hours. Esurance made us start a brand new policy and charged $400 more on our premium. We renewed but shopped and found a better rate with GEICO. When we called Esurance back the next day to cancel, they kept $200 of our $600 deposit. No respect for loyalty!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I insured my home and three cars with this company Esurance. I got home proof of insurance too. A few days later I called to make a correction to the name of the city in my address. I was informed that since they do not insure more than 4 attached townhomes, my insurance is cancelled! They pretty much said their so called "Trained Staff" made a mistake. Of course half an hour later I bought insurance somewhere else. I do not know how I had at least 3 other insurance companies last 8 years I owned my house. Be very cautious with this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I was really happy about choosing Esurance. Until, I moved. My payment went up by $70. I asked why they said "Would thieves steal from the bad neighboorhood you used to live with or the nice one you live in now." And later in the conversation..."If you have a crappy car and you get into an accident in your new neighboorhood - you're not going to be hitting another crappy car - you're going to be hitting a nice car and we have to account for that." Really? I was so offended I didn't even know how to respond. I understand that they may have to raise it by something but $70 is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We were struck from behind while stopped because of a traffic jam on the interstate on Thanksgiving Day. After over 2 weeks, the Esurance adjuster, Mason **, says cannot determine liability because no one from his company was there when the accident occurred. He also told me if I didn't like the way he was handling the claim, I "could file with my own carrier". When I explained I would have to pay my deductible if I filed with them, he said he "didn't tell me to get a high deductible policy and that wasn't my problem". He also told me he "had no obligation to talk to me" because he had handled the claim. This is my only experience with Esurance, and it has been terrible.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Was not told about $50 cancelation fee and was treated very poorly by customer service reps when trying to cancel. I was even hung up on during the call!! I would not recommend this auto insurance to anyone. I was a loyal customer for several years and they increased my rates for no reason.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I have been an Esurance customer since 2016. In November 2018 Esurance did not direct debit my monthly payment from my bank account. I called to inquire about this and was told on November 19th that the payment was scheduled to be deducted from my account that day. Two days later I received an email notice saying that my insurance has been cancelled! I call Esurance about this and it turns out they were trying to take the money from a different credit card which had been used previously to make a "one-time only" payment.

The customer service rep even read to me that it was noted in their system that was to be used for a one-time-only payment! I questioned why no-one read that and why they didn't use the default credit card that was on file and had been being used for years to pay the monthly premiums. Needless to say, the customer service rep said she would reinstate the insurance dating it back to November 19th. That way it would show the insurance coverage as uninterrupted. Esurance notified the State of Illinois that my policy was cancelled. No one took the time to notify the State of Illinois that the policy was not cancelled.

On November 30th I call Esurance again when I found out this information about the state of Illinois, and asked why the state had not been notified that my insurance was in fact and effect. The woman on the phone, named Carol, took a considerable amount of time investigating what went on with my policy. Carol said she needed more time to investigate the situation and said that she would call me back because it would take more time for her investigation. She also said if she didn't call me back that day she would call me the next, day which was Saturday December 1st. I have not heard anything back from that person. Esurance bumbled my insurance and they sent out some incorrect information to the state of Illinois along with an incorrect form, which will cause me trouble with the State of Illinois if it is not corrected! I'm really considering dropping this company as my auto insurer.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Their customer service is terrible...it was fast and easy to sign up. Later they did auto pay without my knowledge and when I called in because they were about to cancel my policy I got the runaround. The hold times are ridiculous and 3 of the 4 people I talked to were argumentative for no reason. Just a bad experience. I regret going with them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

DO NOT GET INSURANCE THROUGH THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE GIVEN FALSE INFORMATION. Call them multiple time and have months wasted with money lost and no resolution. I finally cancelled my policy after months of going back and forth with this company. I have called them every single month since July to change a card number on file and to NO avail was it removed. I was continually told they took it off yet they IN FACT DID NOT. Causing my account to go into the negative and charge a fee of $34 to my account for them charging my account and not having the available funds.

Today I was told basically, "Too bad." I’m not getting refunded for the fees. Well their loss is greater than mine I guess because they have completely lost a customer! I held multiple policies with them on multiple vehicles & drivers. They do not value customers nor care about customers cancelling because without issue they cancelled right away and did not even try to retain my business. That alone speaks for itself. Worst customer experience ever. Goodbye for good Esurance, I advise you proceed with caution. There are MUCH BETTER companies out there!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I recently sign up for Esurance. The very first month, they took a monthly payment from my checking account. Left me in a negative balance and a insufficient funds fee. I NEVER signed up for automatic pay... I told them I wanted this paid back including the insufficient funds fee. Haven't heard a word... This act left me in a very dangerous situation as I had lifesaving meds to buy. Now I can't get my meds. Beware of this company... Sneaky.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I got into a car wreck that wasn’t our fault. Esurance took forever to even get back to us. After a week they sent the medical paper to get checked out. Now it has been 8 days since I lost my car due to being totaled. Now we have to wait 7-10 more business days to get a check in the mail. I can’t believe a online insurance company can’t even direct deposit the money. Don’t use this company if you have only one vehicle. You will be stuck riding the bus.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I've been an Esurance customer for years now. I have a 2015 Mustang GT which was hit while parked. An estimate was initially given and a check was sent to the dealership for repairs. Once the dealership took the car apart they found additional damage. They issued a supplement to Esurance FOUR times and no response from Esurance at all. So my car has been sitting there for 2 months! No return calls from Esurance to myself or the dealership. My policy is still current and active. STAY AWAY FROM ESURANCE.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I've had Esurance for a few years now. About a year ago, I got rear ended by someone with no insurance. Esurance was so easy to work with and really helped me out. Sometimes the phone hold times were pretty long but once I got someone on the phone, they always answered my questions and provided a lot of reassurance since I was so worried that the other person had no insurance. They got my car repaired quickly without any problems. It's a good policy for the price I pay. I'd recommend them to friends and I'm happy to continue having them as my auto insurance provider, too.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I really like how easy it is to use Esurance. I have never had a problem and have always had my questions answered when needed. I love the auto payment every month and the auto-renewal every term. Sometimes they raise my rates for no reason. This can be a little annoying sometimes.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Worst customer service agents, they are bullies and racist. I'm yet to call their customer service number and feel satisfied. I being overcharged for months and they said there is nothing they can do to reverse the past overcharge only the future payments. Bull - I would give them 0 stars.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I was on auto pay for my insurance till I noticed they keep taking more and more money. When questioned they say I didn't pay and when I point out the auto pay they say, "Oh your bill wasn't complete at that time so here is the remaining balance pay or be cancelled."

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Esurance has gone out of their way to make sure that I am happy. When I was going through the process to get a quote, they made sure get everything I wanted with nothing extra. They wanted to make me happy and make sure I was getting the right policy for my needs.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Esurance is the worst company ever for homeowners. They won't work with you or talk to you. They want your money and want to cancel you and then want a 50.00 dollar fee because you're cancelling before they do. What a corrupt company.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have been with Esurance for 6 years now and have been quite pleased. Their customer service is top notch and they're available 24/7 which is great. Their rates are reasonable and they allow payment plans which can be helpful. They are great for quickly processing claims too.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

When I was looking for an insurance company I wanted one that I could do most of the paperwork online. I hate having to constantly call someone or be bothered by an agent. I was able to sign up, with a lower rate, with no problems at all in a matter of minutes. Multiple discounts were offered and everything was clearly presented online. Overall an easy and painless process. I have thankfully never had to make a claim so I cannot speak to that department but I would recommend them overall.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

If I could give them a 0 star, I absolutely would! I was thinking of switching from Geico to Esurance to save myself some money. I have 1 car, that is financed and is driven less that 3,000 miles a year! I have the lowest coverage amounts, but did opt for towing/labor and a $500 deductible on both comprehensive and collision. they told me my monthly premium would be $103 and some change. So I go through the process and all of sudden I am told that I have to pay $354.92 upfront then $186.72 a month! Excuse me, but WHAT?!

When I chatted with a rep they told me they found 2 moving violations on my record that I had not reported; a speeding ticket from 2015 and a minor violation back in May of 2018. Both of these have been dismissed from my record by the DMV. They told me the jump in price was due to these "violations." I'm sorry, but charging a person nearly $200/mo for a single car that is driven less than 3,000 miles a year is highway robbery! The tickets are NOT on my record (I have confirmed this with the DMV), yet the rep from Esurance told me that this still affects the premium (again, I checked with the DMV and this is also false). I'm sorry but no, it does not.

Geico has never raised my rates and even they cannot find these "violations" that Esurance said that I had. I pay around $120/mo for my insurance with Geico and I will NEVER go with this company as they are out to nickel and dime you for stuff that doesn't even exist! DO NOT GO WITH ESURANCE! They will rob you of your money and make stuff up just to make you pay more!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I really like my insurance company as far as price and coverage are concerned. My main problem is when it comes to their customer service which can at times be very difficult to deal with. At times they seem to act like you are bothering them when you are talking to them about a issue. It can be pretty annoying.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

It is very easy to find the policy that you want or need for your car. I have it because the value is unmatched by other agencies. It has good coverage for a reasonable price. Since it is all online, every process you need to make is simple.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I was an Esurance customer for about three years and each year with no tickets or accidents, my premium increased every three months. Every time I inquired about it, they gave me excuses how their costs were increasing. When I don't have a claim and I do not increase coverage, my insurance premium should not increase.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Signing up for Esurance is easy. I ended up with them after comparing six different insurers, and their rates came out the lowest based on same level of coverage. Everything can be done online. Their customer service agents are friendly and speak regular English, which is a great plus. The only demerits are that they have no local agents, and they do not offer annual policies (only 6 month).

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have had a pleasant experience with Esurance since I have been with them. I had a wreck where someone rear ended me and they helped me every step of the way to sort it out. The only thing that did not give them 5 stars is their discount DriveSense app which says I am a risky driver even though I have no incidents.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have been with Esurance since 2011 and really enjoy being a customer of theirs. They are available in the customer service department, around the clock, and always willing to help and find the answers that I need. They are reasonably priced and provide adequate coverage for me!

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Esurance Company Information

www.esurance.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.