2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.9/5 (1310 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Esurance

Esurance is an online insurance provider that’s part of the Allstate family. It offers auto, motorcycle, homeowners and renters insurance, and it was one of the first businesses to sell insurance online. Esurance gives free online quotes and has an easy-to-use mobile app, and its Coverage Counselor helps find the right coverage for your needs and budget. It also offers discounts for policy bundles.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Coverage calculator
  • Bundle discounts

Cons

• Few customization options
  • Fairly high prices

Bottom Line

Esurance is an insurance provider ideal for tech-savvy drivers who want to bundle their coverages. It offers basic, transparent policies without many customization options.

Top Esurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It was very easy to call and set up a policy. The person helping me was very polite and helpful… I also like that I can download an app to my phone that has my insurance cards and...

Verified

It was very easy to purchase my policy. I went online, put in all the driver information on the vehicle information, selected the coverage I wanted and purchase my policy and was ...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Esurance?

Esurance is an online insurance company owned by Allstate that's known for offering affordable insurance bundles. It was one of the first companies to sell insurance online, and its easy-to-use website simplifies the online quote process. Esurance offers auto, homeowners, renters and motorcycle insurance, as well as discounts for combined coverage. It's available for auto insurance in 43 states.

How does Esurance work?

To sign up for Esurance, enter your information on its website, then you’ll receive a cost estimate before you sign up. The company offers all the necessary auto coverages, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, medical payments and personal injury protection. It also has a few additional options, like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement.

Esurance has a mobile app that lets you send photos of damages for a claim rather than waiting for an appraiser.

Esurance quotes and rates

Esurance costs vary depending on insurance type, whether or not it's bundled, and the details of your situation and needs. Typically, a 30-year-old can expect to pay $235 a month for auto insurance. Esurance provides several discounts and also offers DriveSense, which monitors your driving habits and can earn you further price cuts.

Esurance FAQ

Are Esurance and Allstate the same company?
Allstate owns Esurance.
Does Esurance check credit?
Yes, Esurance uses a credit-based insurance score to help determine your policy costs.
How much is Esurance's cancellation fee?
Esurance's cancellation fee is either 10% of your remaining premium balance or a flat rate of $30 to $50.
Who is the CEO of Esurance?
Jonothan Adkisson is Esurance's CEO.

Is Esurance good?

Esurance is a solid auto coverage option if you're looking for a straight-to-the-point, affordable insurance policy that you can manage easily online. You can visit its website to see if you qualify for its services.

Esurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I love our Esurance car insurance! My husband and I had Allstate for many, many years. The premiums kept going up and up every 6 month renewal even though we never made an insurance claim. So, I shopped around and found Esurance. Thank goodness I did! I got to customize our policy to meet our needs and I saved so much money. Policy premium is Half of what we used to pay! Paying online is easy, and if you pay 7 days before due date, you even save the $3.00 installment fee. We haven't had to make a claim yet, so I don't know about their handling of claims as of yet.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

It was very easy to set up my policy at the beginning, and they even helped with a few kinks due to mortgage closing issues. The rate is very competitive for equal coverage. They have been easy to deal with. I have not had to make a claim yet, so don't know how that goes, but I don't expect any issues, should the need arise.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I had to get another insurance for my daughter's car. I was not keen on not having control on making my payments but that is the way Esurance handles their accounts. I have been their customer for 2 years and they have been wonderful. Kind, professional, experienced, up-to-date, and in the know. Prices are affordable! That feels good!

Original review: July 8, 2021

By far the WORST customer service I have ever had. I tried using their "Insta chat" while I was on hold. I received a response that the claims representative would reach out to me in one business day, when I asked for a supervisor I was told to continue to hold on the current phone call. When a person is on site at a rental location, one business day is not an acceptable response. When requesting a supervisor, being told to continue to wait on hold is also not acceptable. I am not exaggerating when I say I was there nearly 3 hours trying to get a hold of somebody from Esurance in order to rectify an issue that should have been taken care of along with the damage claims.

The only individual that I was able to actually speak to was a customer service agent from the sales side of the company. Understandably she was unable to actually assist me, but she provided me a number to the ‘rapid’ response team and transferred me to that number. No one ever picked up. I’ve worked in customer service most of my professional career, it takes a great deal for me to be this upset. My interactions with Esurance today is the very definition of lack of professionalism and customer service. Ultimately I had to pay out of pocket and hope that they reimburse me. Note: at the time of this review I have still not been able to get a hold of anyone to speak to regarding this claim.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I was involved in a hit and run on 2-10. I the adjuster with no response. I even emailed and called his supervisor. No luck with that either. This is unacceptable and no good paying customer should be treated this way. I'm not happy at all. I need transportation.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

If I could give this company 0 stars I would!!! This is my awful experience with Esurance!! I would like to express my dissatisfaction with your company, and claims rep Destiny **!!! I first filed my claim of Dec 10, after that I spoke with Destiny about 3 times, until my claim was escalated into a fraud claim which was totally ridiculous!! In that time without exaggeration I had left at least 25 to 30 emails, and about 40 calls!!! With Destiny ** totally ignoring me and not returning any of my calls or emails!!! She should be ashamed of herself by the way she does her job and represents your company!!!! By, blowing me off, making me feel frustrated, very angry, and deserted!!

I will be leaving negative feedback and forwarding this email, and my dissatisfaction for Destiny **, on every feedback site I can!!! I'm dropping Esurance. In the 28 years I've been driving and had auto insurance I have never been treated and ignored this bad!! Last week finally, Pete **, released my claim, after speaking with him, it took Destiny ** 3 days to call me back, only to leave me a voice mail. Since last week I've called about 6 times, and email her at least 4 times!!!! To guess what? No response!!!!

She should be ashamed of herself and the way she so called does her job!!!! I know this is not the way you're supposed to be treated and through the years have dealt with Progressive and Geico, with excellent claims representative, always making me feel welcome and assisting me any way they could!! The total opposite of Destiny **!!!! She is shameful and sucks at her job!!!!

John **.

Claim # **.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Esurance is a horrible insurance company. I have an open claim from August 2020 that still has not been resolved, their gap insurance only covers 25% which was not disclosed to me during my purchase. Apparently my original claims adjuster no longer works for the company however I was never assigned a new one and was not aware that she left the company until December 2020. No one ever reached out to me, my vehicle was falsely declared a total loss because they are too cheap to get it repaired.

I was told in October 2020 I constantly reached out to them and was told numerous times that I would receive a call back in 1 business day. It took them today 1/25/2021 to actually get in contact with me. I am still without a vehicle 'til this day, I have racked up thousands of dollars of rental car bills. They were not helpful at all, no one ever answers the phone or has an answer for anything. I will never do business with them again, I do not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I cancelled my insurance on my due date and they still took money out of my account 11 days later. Esurance is overpriced! The customer service is very poor! Be very careful doing business with this ABUSIVE outfit!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

Jennifer ** incorrectly reported my accident as my fault. She did not pick up her phone and gave me a disconnected phone number. They messed up my life by never getting any proof of an accident being my fault. They would not talk to me and ignore my emails and phone calls. You will need an attorney to get justice from Esurance! Esurance is a scam, they don't care if they incorrectly report an accident as your fault because they want to increase your car insurance costs to make more money! Stay way!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

This company seems nice. But I hit a deer with my car. Totaled it and 3 weeks later no money so I can get out of the rental. I have a car waiting for me with deposit and can't get loan till payment happens. NEVER use Esurance.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

We have been with them for years and after an accident which was not our fault and two years has passed we are still paying the price or penalty of this with no end. Feels like they want us to leave them. Feeling pushed out or forced out by high pricing.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

This company took money from my account well after I was no longer a customer! 4 phone calls I made to the company, with no resolve! Only one person I spoke with actually had customer service skills! I did not authorize this debit on this date! Highly disappointed! The snowball effect this had on my account will hurt me for quite some time. Absolute blasphemy!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Been with Esurance for over eight years. Always been behind the technical side of business and lately their updates have created real problems. Cancellation notices twice after never having a missed payment date. They blamed their software. Happened three times with emails and a letter over a weekend. Now change your payment date a day due to Social Security payment date and they charge a late payment. After all the nonsense I will shop for new auto ins and leave this screwed up company. Their Renters insurance is overpriced and undervalued. Stay away from them just for good peace of mind. Too much trouble now doing business with them.

Esurance Company Information