2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.51/5

Esurance is an online insurance provider that is part of the Allstate family. The company offers auto insurance, motorcycle insurance, homeowners insurance and renters insurance. Esurance was one of the first businesses to offer insurance online, and its Coverage Counselor feature makes it simple to find the right coverage for your needs and budget. Esurance gives free online quotes and has an easy-to-use mobile app. The insurance provider offers discounts for bundling policies.

BOTTOM LINE

Backed by AllState and serving 43 states, Esurance is one of the first companies to offer insurance directly to customers online or on the phone. Customers are attracted to the ease of getting quotes and managing their accounts online with a suite of interactive tools and mobile apps.

PROS

• Provides SR-22 for drivers with high-risk insurance policies
  • Standout mobile app
  • Coverage available for fire and vandalism
  • Backed by financially strong AllState

CONS

• Prices relatively higher than competitors

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Esurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Not sure why there's so many 1 star reviews recently, but for me as a long time Mercury Insurance client, it was a NO BRAINER to go with ESURANCE and save myself $200. I called AAA, State Farm, Liberty Mututal, Farmers, Safeco, and could NOT SAVE me as much money as ESURANCE did. AAA came pretty close, but I will revisit that another day. If ESURANCE is just all smoke and mirrors, I will post another review in the future detailing that. My renewal just came up and my policy renewal only went up $1. So FAR, so GOOD.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Esurance doesn't use agents, so they save money on employees and office space. I was a bit leary at first, but have made a couple of claims and had no issues. Everything is done online or over the phone and they have the cheapest rates I've found. They are backed by Allstate. Allstate was our previous insurance company, but found that they kept raising rates, even though we didn't make any claims.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Customer service is great. They explain things so it’s easy to understand. The insurance is reasonable and you can talk to a real person 24/7. They tailor your insurance to just what you need or want. They are not pushy.

Original review: July 1, 2020

They dropped me after I had coverage for only a month. Said I told them my son doesn’t live with me which he does. They must have misunderstood what I said. Won’t take me back. Crazy. My son is upset. I’m upset.

Original review: June 3, 2020

My shared privacy fence was partially blown down by wind and I called Esurance to figure out what the outlook might be if I were to file a claim. I was adamant that I did not want a claim to be filed, just information. I ended up just paying out of pocket since the damage was too minimal to file a claim over but I ended finding out that I now had a zero dollar claim on my policy that counts against me as much as any other claim. I tried fighting this through LexisNexis and was unsuccessful. I tried calling them to discuss it and they wouldn't budge since a supervisor had already previously said "no" to removing this (that makes it un-reviewable further, in their practice). You have to be extremely careful if you deal with this company.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Buyer Beware... I contacted Esurance to receive a quote. I received the quote and asked the agent to contact me in 10 minutes to finalize the payment and to allow me some time to cancel my current policy. The agent contacted me within the time frame, however the price of the quote drastically increased ($$$) and they would not honor the quote I initially received. Although I had the verification email with the terms clearly stated, the company refused to honor it.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Fraud. They will increase your mileage in the policy without letting you know and you end up paying more - then when you call it to their attention, they will not give you a credit at all. Do not use them.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I’ve paid over $5000 within 2 years to Esurance. When my credit card got compromised, the autopay stopped. Esurance never called me and have sent me 2 emails which I later found in my spam box. They won’t mail you or call you. I got into an accident when the insurance lapsed for 3 days. I reinstated that very day when I found out. Turns out they say they can’t help me. So after paying them over $5000 for my home and cars, I now have to pay the other party a maximum fine and have to pay my own repairs. No heart, just out there to take your money.

They said they don’t do mailings or text cuz everything is done via email. And the call that they made was a robo call which didn’t even leave a message. My voicemail says to leave a message otherwise I cannot get back to you because of the daily spam that comes in everyday. Stay away from esurance!! The claims person wouldn’t even call me back after leaving her several messages asking her for a copy of my policy and help so I can get some info to my lawyer.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I had enrolled for the Esurance auto insurance policy some time back. Had a surprise increase in insurance amount and this conversation had been going on for the mileage discrepancy on the vehicles. However as I was not satisfied with the increase in the amount/price, decided to cancel the policy. The person who was speaking to me was so particular about charging me another $50 for policy cancellation.... How can these people have such rude policy? Two surprises in quick succession.... I can keep pointing to so many things at their end.... Fortunate to end the relationship before a bigger surprise from them in the future....

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I called many times. They keep ignoring my calls. They failed to look at the evidence. They did not respond customers in a timely fashion. They made their conclusion based on false statements. I had extremely bad experience with them.

Esurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This auto insurance marketplace has auto insurance policies available for 43 states. After a quick survey, this website automates the tedious process of price comparison and finds affordable car insurance plans for users.

• Coverage and plans: Esurance’s partners offer typical car insurance coverage, plus additional features like gap coverage, emergency roadside assistance and rental coverage.

• Cost: Esurance auto plans vary widely based on company, location and other key factors, but expect a policy for a 42-year old to cost about $200 a month.

• Discounts: Esurance’s partners offer lots of discounts. Common ones include those for bundling, multiple vehicles, upfront payment, bundling, safety features and defensive driving certification. The DriveSense app tracks driving behavior and helps good drivers get more discounts.

• Standout feature: Esurance’s mobile app is slick and useful. We couldn’t pick just one standout feature, so we picked two: Esurance’s budget-friendly cost comparison tools save users a bundle.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor