Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

BOTTOM LINE

Backed by AllState and serving 43 states, Esurance is one of the first companies to offer insurance directly to customers online or on the phone. Customers are attracted to the ease of getting quotes and managing their accounts online with a suite of interactive tools and mobile apps.

PROS

• Provides SR-22 for drivers with high-risk insurance policies
  • Standout mobile app
  • Coverage available for fire and vandalism
  • Backed by financially strong AllState

CONS

• Prices relatively higher than competitors

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Esurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Not sure why there's so many 1 star reviews recently, but for me as a long time Mercury Insurance client, it was a NO BRAINER to go with ESURANCE and save myself $200. I called AAA, State Farm, Liberty Mututal, Farmers, Safeco, and could NOT SAVE me as much money as ESURANCE did. AAA came pretty close, but I will revisit that another day. If ESURANCE is just all smoke and mirrors, I will post another review in the future detailing that. My renewal just came up and my policy renewal only went up $1. So FAR, so GOOD.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Esurance doesn't use agents, so they save money on employees and office space. I was a bit leary at first, but have made a couple of claims and had no issues. Everything is done online or over the phone and they have the cheapest rates I've found. They are backed by Allstate. Allstate was our previous insurance company, but found that they kept raising rates, even though we didn't make any claims.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Customer service is great. They explain things so it’s easy to understand. The insurance is reasonable and you can talk to a real person 24/7. They tailor your insurance to just what you need or want. They are not pushy.

Original review: March 24, 2020

Fraud. They will increase your mileage in the policy without letting you know and you end up paying more - then when you call it to their attention, they will not give you a credit at all. Do not use them.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I’ve paid over $5000 within 2 years to Esurance. When my credit card got compromised, the autopay stopped. Esurance never called me and have sent me 2 emails which I later found in my spam box. They won’t mail you or call you. I got into an accident when the insurance lapsed for 3 days. I reinstated that very day when I found out. Turns out they say they can’t help me. So after paying them over $5000 for my home and cars, I now have to pay the other party a maximum fine and have to pay my own repairs. No heart, just out there to take your money.

They said they don’t do mailings or text cuz everything is done via email. And the call that they made was a robo call which didn’t even leave a message. My voicemail says to leave a message otherwise I cannot get back to you because of the daily spam that comes in everyday. Stay away from esurance!! The claims person wouldn’t even call me back after leaving her several messages asking her for a copy of my policy and help so I can get some info to my lawyer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I had enrolled for the Esurance auto insurance policy some time back. Had a surprise increase in insurance amount and this conversation had been going on for the mileage discrepancy on the vehicles. However as I was not satisfied with the increase in the amount/price, decided to cancel the policy. The person who was speaking to me was so particular about charging me another $50 for policy cancellation.... How can these people have such rude policy? Two surprises in quick succession.... I can keep pointing to so many things at their end.... Fortunate to end the relationship before a bigger surprise from them in the future....

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I called many times. They keep ignoring my calls. They failed to look at the evidence. They did not respond customers in a timely fashion. They made their conclusion based on false statements. I had extremely bad experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I reached out to customer support needing help, but was responded to by what was either a computer or someone that lacked any empathy or kindness. I will be going with a different insurance company and suggest others do the same. They do not care about their customers, they only care about $$$. The epitome of what is wrong with our country.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I had Esurance for over a year and things started out fine. My rate was low and I had no complaints. Then it began... The first thing that happened was the "Drivesense" or "Drivenonsense" app stopped recording my trips for a couple months. I called to resolve it and they sent me down the black hole of phone calls and transfers to departments. Ok fine. I can live with that. Then an accident took place where someone hit MY CAR and the blame was put on me. NOBODY WOULD LISTEN to my side of what happened and next thing you know my rates go up exponentially. I even went as far as discussing things with an "adjuster" about the accident and they wouldn't even hear it.

Makes me so angry how they require auto insurance in WA state and yet people who are low income like me have to pay half of their damn paycheck for sub-standard auto insurance. Needless to say I dropped their ** and they could care less. They love to send you "Cancellation notices" if they don't get their precious money and will cancel your policy for any damn reason they feel like. They aren't going to take my money anymore.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I went online to purchase insurance for my car, and was able to do it online for $315 for 6 months. Then after I paid everything in full by a binding agreement and after I receive the insurance certificate I am getting constant harassing emails from Serena ** that need to pay them $100 more after they "audit" my policy. After that I told them that if they made a mistake, I am fine if they cancel the purchase and refund my money. Their - response? "No refund, just pay us $100 more." This is nothing but a switch and bait and fraud.

I request complete refund and that nobody ever from this company contacts me in the future. I don't do business with defrauders and tricky companies especially when there are thousands of companies online offering similar service with very reasonable pricing. They quote you one price to steal you from competition since know that you will be getting other quotes online, then after you purchase, they want to "add up" on that price otherwise if you cancel, they will extort a cancellation fee. SOBes.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on-the-go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor