Esurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I switched to Esurance less than two months ago. Reason - my insurance (Costco-Ameriprise) started raising the rates, and had been with them for over 5 years - time to change. I have 3 cars and 3 drivers. No accidents or tix in the last 3 years. My daughter had a very minor accident (~$500) 4 years ago and I listed it on the application. Initially Esurance gave me a great quote. I signed up... Less than a month after that I was notified that my premium was going up by $200 for 6 months (**). Called them - allegedly they were "unable to verify" my continuous insurance... fine - I sent them a copy of my last insurance with Ameriprise... still not good - "Not what we needed". Called. Spoke to a supervisor who assured me that there has been a mistake and I should ignore all - my rate would stay the same.

A few weeks after that I sold one of my cars. Called to remove it from the policy - my premium went up... $200 for 6 months (**). I decided I did not want to be with these jokers anymore. Got Progressive which was $400 cheaper with the same limits. Called to cancel. They Esurance are charging me $50 'cancellation fee'. Here is the text from their website: "Cancellation Fee: You may be charged a Cancellation Fee of $50.00 if you cancel your Policy for any reason or if we cancel your Policy due to your failure to pay any premium when due."

Did you notice the 'MAY BE'? Do not be fooled. Esurance will try to gauge and charge you more and more by the month. And when you decide that you had enough you will pay an additional $50 for your freedom. Esurance is scum. I know that now. You can learn from my experience, or experience it for yourself. You choose!

Easy to use and setup online. Have previous dealings with parent company when filing claims. No major problems to speak of. Upfront sales and low cost for insurance provided. Could use more coverage at the same great rate. I have never been a big believer of insurance, to me it's legal racketeering as billions of dollars in the industry and very few claims marginally across the board. Yes accidents happen... but 1200 dollars a year multiplied to 4.6 billion insured bodies?

At first I was skeptical when my husband suggested an online auto insurance. But due to a few financial setbacks, their price was great. But I wondered, what would really happened if we needed it? A bull pine tree fell on top of my beloved suburban totaling it. It happened in the high country, far anywhere. A friend took us back to civilization, we called Esurance. They were calm, comforting and were willing to offer us another vehicle to drive right away until we found something else. All we had to do was take a few pics from our phone and forward them. We had the check in no time, for more than we expected and found another car. I can't give them enough kudos. They're wonderful.

They are quick, efficient, fair and accommodating. Don't be afraid to trust an online insurance company. I thought they were easier to deal with than the many others (I always thought insurance was best if it was a household name) I have used in the last 40 yrs. They made everything so simple and were quick about it. The service they provided was excellent and actually went above and beyond our expectations. We used to carry fleet insurance while in business, but no longer are in need. If you need everyday insurance, I wouldn't call anyone else.

We have been with Esurance for three years and the rate is still a little high. They don't automatically look for discounts upon the renewal and they should. Other companies' quotes came in much lower. I call Esurance to find out I wasn't receiving discounts I qualified for. You should always get the lowest rate as a long-time customer. After calling to let them know I had quotes that were much better from other companies, they looked and gave me a lower rate. If you're loyal to a company and pay on time they should do this automatically. By doing so they are loyal to you, the paying customer.

I drive 1500 miles a year and my policy is 411 annually, but I do not get annual rates. They renew me every 6 months. Liberty Mutual offers an annual policy for 378 and a 31 dollar monthly and with renters insurance 38.00 a month. I can get renters and auto (together with higher auto coverage) for a little more than what I pay for auto. Time to switch.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

I left Geico after 14 years to switch to Esurance saving me over $1,200.00 a year. I was a little hesitant but gave it a try. I have had nothing but positive experiences. I get excellent service with minimal hassle. They have even pointed out when I was paying for duplicate rental car insurance and refunded 6 months of payments. I am comfortable having a computer as my insurance agent. If you need to see someone and go to an office, it might not work, but just check and see how much you can save.

Filing a claim with Esurance was quite easy. It started with a brief form online with a follow-up call the following day. The adjuster who called was friendly and asked just basic questions. She also indicated that the process should be wrapped up within 72 hours if the vehicle was totaled, as I thought. It was. Forty eight hours after initial contact I received a report that gave a detailed breakdown of their offer. I found the offer to be satisfactory, signed it, returned it by email, and had a check via FedEx in two days. During the entire process there were a total of five phone calls and four emails. All communications were handled quickly and messages returned promptly.

Filing a claim was so fast and easy. I heard from a representative the very next day with no deductible. Couldn't ask for a better insurance company. Took me only about 10 mins from start to finish.

Their customer service is excellent. They always have someone available who is able to handle a change in coverage, talk about the policy, etc. Their coverage is not a game of dodgeball with them attempting to exclude you.

I like Esurance for their rates are reasonable and several family members do have Esurance. I think they're a wonderful insurance company.

I had polite, no hassle Customer Service. In today hectic life no fuss makes a incredible difference. Can't ask for better CSR auto debit verification on mobile phone. It handles itself. It's been seamless.

I've had Esurance for a few years. Two months ago I lost my debit card. I thought I had contacted everyone but noticed Esurance wasn't coming out of my account and it clicked that I obviously had not called them. So, I called and the young lady told me my account had CLOSED! She said they emailed me (I assume it was spammed) and sent something in the mail (to the wrong address), which is great, thanks for trying... but no phone call??! We all know the obvious reasons auto insurance is important... It's even more important if you have a loan or have leased your vehicle - the lender can take the car back if you do not have full coverage insurance!!! This was the first issue with them...

My second issue is that because my coverage has been canceled over a MONTH, unbeknownst to me, I have to re-apply... So, I do, and they tell me my coverage is now going to be TWICE what my premium was before BECAUSE I had a LAPSE IN COVERAGE! What??! When I asked for a Supervisor the young lady said "Sure, but they're going to tell you the same thing - nothing we can do about the rate because you had a LAPSE IN COVERAGE"! I get the Supervisor (very snippy) and what happens?? Exactly what the young lady said... "NOTHING WE CAN DO... Sorry!" Went round and round with her for a minute before I finally ended the call in disgust.

Bottom line, it was my fault for losing the card. However, I would hope that a company I give money to every month (I have never had a claim in my LIFE) would use all of their resources get in contact with me. Insurance is important. It is there to PROTECT you. They did anything but protect me by not trying all avenues and instead letting my coverage lapse. What if I had been in a terrible accident and hurt someone else or myself... What if my lender took my car back... I'll tell you--I WOULD HAVE BEEN ROYALLY SCREWED AND ESURANCE WOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN A FLYING... PIG... ABOUT IT! End Rant.

We already had our home with Allstate so we signed up with Esurance a little over a year ago. Without notice my third 6 month payment increase around 20%. I have 2 used cars, no accidents, no tickets? I complained but stayed (didn't want the hassle). After they took my next 6 month payment from my checking that's when I seen my insurance again increased. When I called they said they had raised everyone's rates in Indiana? I AM SO DONE. How is this even legal!!!

I have been with this company for 5 years and had two vehicles insured full coverage and perfect driving records. I all of a sudden receive a non-renewal letter. There has not been any changes at all to any of my information. Didn't move, no tickets absolutely nothing. So I call them which to let everyone know they were so rude and unprofessional so I asked for his Supervisor which his name was Emery and he was very rude as well. I had to tell him to stop overtalking me every time I tried to talk. The rep was an Adam employee number **.

So the one reason they said they were dropping me was for an accident that I was a passenger in on my boyfriend's insurance in his car and his insurance is paying all my medical bills and loss of wages. He has insurance with a different company and it was his car. Also they told me because I spend the night at his house too much and I am driving from my home in MD to his house in PA. They could no longer allow that. So they are saying I cant spend the night at his house every now and then. Like are you serious? I then asked what if I had a sick mother I had to go see every now and then in another state I couldn't drive there and stay to visit and they said no. They are not covering me driving in other states than what I reside. What? What about vacation? What in the world. Are they serious? I am so confused... These people are NUTS!!

Online quote from 4/29/2017 was for 108.00 per month. When I called in to get the insurance on 5/4/2017 the quote was 211.00 per month. The guy said it's because of my one speeding ticket from 2014. I told him I had added that online when I did the quote online already and they gave me 108.00 per month. Company is a total scam.

I was absolutely floored when I received a letter stating that my Premium was being increased $780.00 for 6 months. Yes I rear ended someone in October. Approx. $3000.00 was paid out for my car but nothing was paid out on the other car. My monthly payment is going from $214.00 to $351.00. That is just insane. I've never heard of Insurance going up that high. I'll be shopping around. Very disappointing. I always thought they were such a great company to deal with. But this changed my views.

One of their insured hit my truck from behind on April 4th and I've been calling them to check the status of the claim. I keep getting the same results. "There is nothing we can do until we talk to our policy holder." So what am I supposed to do, WAIT... I just want my truck fixed. And to top it off they want to install aftermarket parts. My truck was all original parts before this happened. Seems like they are taking to least expensive route. NEVER WILL RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE.

I found a better deal on home insurance. I cancelled my policy with Esurance. They are charging a $50 cancellation fee! I've never seen a company charge that before for homeowners or auto insurance. All other companies have just given a prorated refund. They lost my auto insurance business from high prices last year. Now they are dead to me. Do yourself a favor and skip these jokers entirely. Esurance is all marketing and no quality. They are overpriced. They will steal your $50 too if you try and leave.

The absolute worst company I have ever worked it. I put in a claim through Esurance after their client hit me on the side. The ignorance I heard was that they would only cover 80% because they felt I should have taken "evasive action". Since when is victim blaming good customer service? I should have known another driver was going to jump in my lane and hit me? It's a rip off. And the claims rep Michelle ** is the most unprofessional woman I have ever worked with. Laughing at me on the phone as if my claim is a joke to her. I will never recommend this terrible company to anyone. Refusing to take 100% liability when all evidence shows I was hit from the side and going forward. I will give one star only because 0 stars won't be allowed.

My car was involved in a hit and run December 2016. The auto shop they sent me to Service King was not good. They couldn't fix my car until February 2017. Also never estimated all the damages to my car. Esurance wouldn't completely fix my car. Some of the damages are not from the accident. Not true! When I put my claim in external and internal damages was S stated to Esurance. I was a loyal customer for years with two vehicles. Esurance only wants to pay so much out and that's it. There should never be a limit to fixing a car after the vehicle is damaged, or cash out. Also went up on my insurance, I canceled my insurance. The best could have done. I have 45 dollar savings a month, with extras I couldn't afford with Esurance.

I canceled my policy in January because the rates were adjusted for because of the "annual" reassessment and I found rates lower than what I was paying before the adjustment. I had the drive sense and was told I had 30 days from the day my policy ended in mid-February to return the device. I asked if I could return it early and was told I could. I sent the device back using the label they sent me and even received confirmation of its delivery from UPS.

Fast forward to the beginning of March and I received a bill for the restocking fee of the device. I called them to let them know I sent it back and the rep had to put me on hold for 8 minutes while she searched for proof it was delivered. I gave her the date it was delivered and the name of the person who signed for it. She then said ok and she would waive the restocking fee. I thought the matter closed until 4/11 when I got a call from a collection agency regarding my non-payment of the restocking fee. They threatened my credit number and they even went as far as to say if I had paid my bills they wouldn't need to call me.

I sent the agency proof of the waived fee and then I called Esurance to find out why it was turned over to collections when I already took care of everything back in January. The rep said their computers were down and she couldn't access the system and it should be resolved in a week. When I said that was unacceptable I was told their system was down and that is the best they could do. Long story short I now have to wait a week to see this resolved. I left them because they're system was always down and there are better rates to be had elsewhere and this is just one more example of the horrible customer service they offer. Their hold times are outrageous. Their system seems to be down all the time. They have no empathy for their customers or those they inconvenience and their "too bad, so sad" attitude is absolutely unacceptable.

ESURANCE IS a rip off! Charging me a $50 cancellation fee? I have been with them for two years. The first time calling for help they told me I'm not covered for that! Second and last time they told me I have to wait for 48 hours for the changes to take effect. ESURANCE IS a rip off. Bunch of liars and thieves! The only time they are nice is when I call in to cancel, and they try to sell me more! Allstate is ruining their name by having ESURANCE next to it. All customers should cancel ESURANCE and buy a better policy. I saved $50 a month switching to Geico, and I have 3 cars. I will review esurance until I am refunded my money. So GLAD TO BE OUT OF THESE WORTHLESS PEOPLE. Do your family a favor and leave before you are left hanging on the road.

HORRIBLE COMPANY. Want a company with poorly trained CS Reps? Go with Esurance! Want a company that promises you one pricing structure and charges you another? Go with Esurance. Want to call a company 8 times and still have no one get back to you? Go with Esurance. I would like to give less stars if I could. Too bad I'm stuck with them since they want to charge $50 to get away from them. You get what you pay for and there is a reason they looked good on pricing.

I was in an auto accident (for the most part head-on). My car was towed by Esurance to their estimate yard. That was almost one week ago and I am still waiting for a decision on the vehicle. I called this morning and explain to my adjustor that I am left in limbo by their indecision. I can't spend the money for a rental when I might need it for a down payment. I am relying on friends to get around and to medical appointments and wearing out my welcome.

If I don't have a vehicle of some kind by next week when I go on call, then I can be fired from my job. The response I got from my adjustor is "I'm sorry but there is nothing I can do. I have to wait for the estimate. They usually take 24-48 hours, but sometimes longer. We might have it hopefully by tomorrow." Seriously?! Thanks for caring for a customer who has been loyal to your company for years! I have paid my premiums and now when I need you to do things in the same timely manner you are giving me the "Oops! Good luck!" treatment? Yeah, I think I need to check out Progressive.

They should get negative stars. They are the worst car insurance company I have ever dealt with. I was hit by their customer. They showed concern until it was time to settled and stated their doctor stated my condition was pre-existing from 2008. I have recovered from that accident and my 2015 MRI showed 3 disk bulges since my last MRI. It doesn't matter what all my doctors said or what I said or what the MRI or X-ray said. I was told first my pain recovery check was for $6500. I waited for weeks for the check. Then I called him and he told me the check is also for Medical payments. I told him it does not make sense since my medical payments is more than $6500. Esurance agent told me that medicare only take $200-$300 for medical payment and he will let me know the amount before he sends the check to medicare. Instead, he did not let me know and sent the entire check to medicare for $6500. Again, more lies.

I called, he did not acknowledge the mistake and told he doesn't know what Medicare is going to take. I asked him what I should do now since you sent the entire check to medicare. He told me to contact Medicare. I contacted Medicare and Medicare told me to write them a letter to explain the circumstances. Today, I found out the Medicare is going to send a check to Esurance in the amount of $3451.88. Again, another lie, the medical payment was not $200-300. The medical payment that Medicare took from my supposedly check for pain in suffering as I and he first agreed was $3048.12. They are unprofessional, insensitive and only in it for their profit margin. They are only good for low-balling people that can not get attorneys.

Beware of Jacob ** from Esurance! My car ended up with some hail damage after the recent storm. I anticipated being able to use my "full coverage" insurance to repair this damage, and figured that the only cost to me would be the deductible. Boy, was I sadly mistaken? My ordeal begins when he sends me to get an estimate at Caliber Collision, which is where they send all policy holders that live in this area. Caliber Collision gives me this high estimate on my car for more than $6,000. Six thousand dollars. For hail damage.

The estimate sounded a bit high to me, but I figured that all I needed to worry about was the $500 deductible. At this point, the process seemed fairly routine and I thought that everything was fine. I was feeling relieved about having kept up with my policy and was looking forward to getting a mini-makeover for my car. Little did I know that it was going to hurt me in the long run. Apparently, with Esurance, even seemingly cosmetic damage is enough to cause their adjusters to total out a car. They gave me a check for an amount that was barely a fraction of the estimate provided by Caliber. Adding insult to injury, they put salvage on my title.

My message to everyone is that if your car is older, it isn't worthwhile to have full coverage on it. The insurance company will happily set up a full coverage policy for you and take your money each month, but will not take care of you when the time comes. As if all this wasn't bad enough, when I started shopping other companies, I discovered that they screwed me over previously when my car was hit as it was parked. They filed it under collision instead of comprehensive. They are super **.

They're unfair and racist. The claims manager, Debbie ** in Florida, who is Donna's boss, is discriminating against me and refusing to pay for the steering mechanical damage that my car is exhibiting following recovery from a theft. I believe her delay may be based on your race because she has already made accusations of fraud against me to my attorney and the adjuster based on the area of Chicago in which I live and suggested that you would purposefully damage the steering to my own vehicle. She is also purposefully delaying payment of my claim when she and her investigator Tony, also in Florida, already have third-party statements from the gas station where your auto was stolen that the vehicle was driven off site, which it could not have done if the steering was broken prior to theft.

Debbie also has statements from the dealer where the vehicle was immediately towed (because it could not be driven when the police found it running with the windows down) that the power steering is broken and requires repair in addition to the other damage that was exhibited upon recovery. Today I learned that Tony was told a few days following the date of loss that he could attain the video tape from the gas station with a police request and that similar thefts had taken place at the same gas station recently. Instead of following up and attaining the tape through the police or even sending a letter to the gas station to make a copy for your company, Tony did nothing.

As of today, the tape has been recorded over and lost the proof that the police could have used to arrest the person who stole and damaged my car if Tony had done what he told the gas station he was going to do last week. Even though you live in the area of Chicago that the President says is the worst in America, doesn't give her the right to play games and not pay my claim. I work hard so that you can have a quality vehicle. I pay good money for your insurance and always pay on time. This is unacceptable from any insurance company.

I was driving on I-10 on 2/2/17 when I hit a tractor trailer tire tread at 70mph that was hit into my lane by another vehicle. According to all of the representatives and manager I spoke with, this was avoidable. And you as a driver are to take evasive maneuvers so you won't be found at fault and your rates won't go up. So if you want to pay more just react while driving and ignore other traffic. Apparently, this is policy for Esurance and for all insurance companies. I have informed them that I will be taking my 3 vehicle full coverage policy elsewhere. Maybe another company will like my thousands of dollars. Shame on you Esurance.

My rates increases although I have no points on my license, driving record is clean, and then when I inquire about the increase, I am told they will get back to me, and guess what? I never hear feedback. My most recent claim was a theft and complete and total loss of my vehicle, I put the claim in 08/2016 and it has yet to be resolved, they have interviewed me three times even under oath in front of their attorney asking the same questions, they have interviewed my spouse, I have provided them several documents, and they keep asking for more and more and something different every other week.

If it wasn't for the fact I have a supportive spouse and family and they were able to get me another vehicle, I would be out of a vehicle. The way Esurance has handled my claim has been absolutely horrendous! They have wasted my time, money, and caused me undue anxiety pain and stress to the point I am now seeing a therapist. All because they don't want to pay!!! But they can surely take my money every month!! As soon as this claim is completed, Esurance will not get another dime of my money nor my business, and I will be urging everyone I can to STAY AWAY if they know what's best for them.

Worst service ever! First of all, my rate kept hiking up every term without me getting into an accident or anything. My car is an 2004 Pontiac Vibe. A couple of weeks ago, I got into an accident where I hit a patch of ice and jacked up my back left wheel and axle. Their first mistake was towing my car to a place 45 MIN AWAY FROM MY HOUSE when I had a tow yard just 10 minutes away from my house. I was shocked to find out that it was totaled. It really wasn't but they claim that it was a $4000 job which I highly doubt.

Second mistake came when giving the value of my car. My car was undervalue by at least $1000 according to their estimate. They don't use KBB which values my car at a higher rate. I even called the dealership where I got the car and they said that Esurance was stiffing me. I did NOT appreciate my claims handler talking over me every time I had a question. So disrespectful! The nail in the coffin came today when I realized that I won't be getting any money to buy a new car and all the money goes to my dealership. At this point, I feel like I would have been better off not having insurance if this was going to be the end result. This company doesn't care about their customers. I'm taking my business elsewhere!

I have been sitting on hold for hours. I have been hung up on, laughed at, and told that my rates going up is just what happens. I am a safe driver, no accidents, and my car hasn't left the driveway in months due to I am disabled. Run for the hills!!!

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
  • Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.
  • Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.
  • Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.
  • Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Compare Auto Insurance