3.2/5 (3053 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Esurance

Esurance is an online insurance provider that’s part of the Allstate family. It offers auto, motorcycle, homeowners and renters insurance, and it was one of the first businesses to sell insurance online. Esurance gives free online quotes and has an easy-to-use mobile app, and its Coverage Counselor helps find the right coverage for your needs and budget. It also offers discounts for policy bundles.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Coverage calculator
  • Bundle discounts

Cons

• Few customization options
  • Fairly high prices

Bottom Line

Esurance is an insurance provider ideal for tech-savvy drivers who want to bundle their coverages. It offers basic, transparent policies without many customization options.

Top Esurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It was very easy to call and set up a policy. The person helping me was very polite and helpful… I also like that I can download an app to my phone that has my insurance cards and...

Verified

It was very easy to purchase my policy. I went online, put in all the driver information on the vehicle information, selected the coverage I wanted and purchase my policy and was ...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Esurance?

Esurance is an online insurance company owned by Allstate that's known for offering affordable insurance bundles. It was one of the first companies to sell insurance online, and its easy-to-use website simplifies the online quote process. Esurance offers auto, homeowners, renters and motorcycle insurance, as well as discounts for combined coverage. It's available for auto insurance in 43 states.

How does Esurance work?

To sign up for Esurance, enter your information on its website, then you’ll receive a cost estimate before you sign up. The company offers all the necessary auto coverages, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, medical payments and personal injury protection. It also has a few additional options, like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement.

Esurance has a mobile app that lets you send photos of damages for a claim rather than waiting for an appraiser.

Esurance quotes and rates

Esurance costs vary depending on insurance type, whether or not it's bundled, and the details of your situation and needs. Typically, a 30-year-old can expect to pay $235 a month for auto insurance. Esurance provides several discounts and also offers DriveSense, which monitors your driving habits and can earn you further price cuts.

Esurance FAQ

Are Esurance and Allstate the same company?
Allstate owns Esurance.
Does Esurance check credit?
Yes, Esurance uses a credit-based insurance score to help determine your policy costs.
How much is Esurance's cancellation fee?
Esurance's cancellation fee is either 10% of your remaining premium balance or a flat rate of $30 to $50.
Who is the CEO of Esurance?
Jonothan Adkisson is Esurance's CEO.

Is Esurance good?

Esurance is a solid auto coverage option if you're looking for a straight-to-the-point, affordable insurance policy that you can manage easily online. You can visit its website to see if you qualify for its services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: May 24, 2022

I filed a Claim with Esurance on May 9th. I still haven't heard from the Adjuster -- I've left messages on her VM and her Supervisor's Voice mail - send E-mails. No one RETURNS the Calls or Emails -- MY CAR NEEDS To BE REPAIRED -- adjuster's name is Meagan ** and her supervisor is Hayley **-- I've also been on hold for an HOUR.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I canceled my insurance with them because I got a better price. They still billed me the following month. I called again that month..they canceled my insurance and issued me a refund. Two months later I get a text from collections that I still owe them money. I call Esurance, talk to a supervisor, she adds everything up and says I owe $42. Hour on the phone. So just to get it off collections, I paid that amount. Brandy, the Supervisor, said it was paid in full. Today I get an email stating I owe another $51. I call them again tell them the story, they said they could only take off another 21 dollars and that they would have Brandy call me. This was another hour on the phone. Then Brandy sent me a message stating yes I still owe this amount. I regret ever doing business with this company and suggest no one else do business with them.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Esurance are thieves. They took money from me without my authorization even after my policy was canceled. 0 out of 10 company. They refuse to give my money back. They are thieves. They refuse to listen and hear you out and when you ask for a corporate number they give you the run around.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I work with insurance companies frequently as a motor vehicle dealership and financier, and have never had such a horrible experience as the one we are currently locked in with Esurance. A finance customer of ours wrecked their vehicle in late November 2021. The customer had full coverage insurance and loan/lease coverage. The vehicle was immediately towed to our property, and esurance was notified promptly of the location of and sustained damages to the vehicle, along with our daily storage fee. We obtained a third-party repair estimate as soon as possible, which clearly evidenced that the cost for repairs far exceeded the current value of the vehicle (total loss). This should have been an extremely simple claim, for which the process with any other insurance company may have taken a few weeks at most.

The agent we were initially in contact with, Ryan **, was virtually impossible to reach and almost never responded to our communication attempts. Copart calls our office daily inquiring about release of the vehicle; they have been ready to pick it up as a total loss since December 2021. It is now February 2022, and we are still attempting to get paid for this vehicle. It has been sitting on our lot accruing storage fees of $40/day which esurance is now omitting from payment documents. I'm losing confidence daily that they will be able to redeem themselves, causing me to no longer allow our finance customers to obtain insurance through them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I contacted Esurance to get my declarations page and what do I know, I get like a best friend out of the call. Darnay was the nicest person in customer service that I've spoke to! She could relate to life experiences and made life a little better today!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

We have been Esurance customers for around 6 years. Last year, we moved from a $200k house to a $400k house. In the midwest, most insurance claims are for roofs and wind/hail claims. When starting our new policy esurance valued our new (to us, not new construction) house at $900k (purchase price was $390k) so that our deductible would be $9k for wind/hail and $4k for all other peril. They told us there is not another option.

In KS, we would always have a higher wind/hail deductible and to price themselves out of having to pay any claims, they artificially inflated the value of our house. Adding a liability-only 16 year old driver to our account increased our bill by $1200/semiannually. We contacted State Farm and got MUCH better coverage (no separate wind/hail deductible, comparable premium, and larger loss of use amount). To top it off, esurance charged a CANCELLATION FEE to terminate their crappy coverage! Talk about sleazy. Stay far, far away.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I have been with Esurance for 3.5 years paying on time, No accidents and no claims. They still increased my premium exponentially without any reason. They do not care about existing customers at all. Thank god I didn't had any claims. They might have not done anything for me at that time as well.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

I never had a problem with Esurance, probably because I never had a claim. But when I found much better coverage for over $25/month less, and went to cancel my policy, they charged me a $50 cancelation fee! (After 2 years of being a customer.)

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I purchased an auto policy online from ESURANCE. In the coverage options it lists CarMatch Rental Coverage. In the details under the heading “Why do I need it?” It states: “This coverage is particularly helpful for anyone who relies on having a particular size of vehicle (like a pickup truck or a minivan) for their daily routines. So if, say, you have a family of five and two dogs, CarMatch Rental Coverage will make sure you don't end up having to squeeze the whole family into a compact rental car if your everyday vehicle is stolen or in the shop after an accident.” Since I don’t drive a pickup truck or a minivan, I assumed this was not a coverage that I needed.

After a deer did extensive damage to my car, I was informed that I do not have rental reimbursement and that I would have had to opt for CarMatch Rental Coverage to have that. CarMatch Rental Coverage is NOT an upgrade from standard rental coverage. If you don’t choose this option you will not get a rental vehicle while yours is being repaired.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Cancelled insurance policy back in January 2021. High monthly premiums. Switched to another more affordable insurance provider with better services. Meanwhile, Esurance kept deducting monthly payments from my account. Nine months later I receive an email from Esurance stating that I am still an active customer on their account. In shock, I immediately cancelled my policy and expected to get a refund for the past 9 months. Esurance refused to reimburse me due to backlogged information provided by the company. What Esurance did was pure robbery!

Esurance Company Information