Esurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've had Esurance since February 2016. They repeatedly failed to report my policy to loan company numerous times causing me to spend hours on the phone with both companies getting out straightened out. Once it was finally settled I thought I was good to go. Then in Sept, I renewed my policy and they switched me from full coverage (unbeknownst to me). My car payment almost doubled. I called my loan company and found this information out, I was never notified or called by Esurance. I'll be switching companies first thing Monday. I now owe hundreds to my loan company because Esurance switched me from full coverage and didn't tell me. I called Esurance and the lady rudely said I should have noticed my bill went down. I told her to check again, my bill NEVER WENT DOWN and she checked and then said "oh". I will never do business with them again.

When comes to customers Esurance doesn't need you. I guess we the customer need them. Mob mind state. Yes Esurance have done everything they could not to assist me here. Esurance has made the mistake initially and want me to pay for their mistake. Every time Esurance has contacted me it was to be firm with me and tell me that I will not be worked with. This is not customer service. In fact America has come to know no customer service. It has became our culture because people and corporations do not care about the little guy. I will pay this. You can also count on losing a customer. I will make it my point to discourage whoever I talk to about your bum company. Word of mouth to this day still generates or buries business.

I was on the phone for quite some time and he became combative when I asked him to mail me a quote so I can compare the insurance I have to what he is offering because he kept saying he would call me later so I can look at my declaration page. He kept telling me I don't have what I say I have and I told him I had just changed my insurance a month ago and I know what I have. He stated that he was the insurance person and he knows. So I said "well yes or no will you send me a copy of it" because I will not talk to him about it until I can compare it side by side and he hung up on me! I work in customer service and he was rude basically the whole phone call and treated me like I was stupid. I would not go thru Esurance if it were free!

I was in a house fire... Okay this place is crazy I promise I've never been treated so bad. I was forced to let the professional service to clean my clothes. In which costs $10k..Yes, $10k. & it's been 3 months and I still have not got my clothes. I've been in a hotel for 3 motel. I feel that if you getting your money in then to treat someone like trash this not nice at all. Then to say that I told them to pay someone 5500 to clean some clothes come on really? I didn't want to go this way but you can't get in contact with anyone about your clothes. Omg really come on. So now that I'm getting a lawyer to handle this so oh well I did my part. Oh yeah to let you know that it's nov 18 in still no clothes and they got paid aug 5th 2016 so whoever reading this please just know I'm not lying. I'm out. I'm dropping them... Please read. Oh I will send you guys proof if you need it.

ESURANCE is the BIGGEST FREAKING RIPOFF in the entire WORLD. You request and agree to a quote. Then they jack up your premium 50%!! THEN THEY ADD A $5.00 TO PAY YOUR FREAKING BILL ON TIME (5 FEES!). Then they charge you 60 freaking dollars to cancel then prorate your premiums and you get almost nothing back!!!! STAY AWAY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Just so you know, the quote I got for car insurance from this company (pleasure only) turns out to be almost THREE times as much as I was paying in Canada, and that was for driving my car to work. I am an accident free, 60 year old driver, with 30 years of a clean driving record. This company insists on charging me, because I am new to US, as if I was a teenager of 16. And they actually penalize people for choosing to live for periods without a car!! In other words, your premiums go up if you have had a period without car insurance. In a world in which we are encouraged to use public transit, walk and bike to get cars off the road? There has to be a better system.

I was also offended by the types of questions they asked me about my personal life (married, domestic partner, widowed etc). This might be standard for insurance companies down here in the U.S. as they assess your risk factors, but think about it. Did they asked if I drank alcohol or smoked pot? No. Did they ask me what race I am? No. Answers to these questions must also provide relevant actuarial data, but they would be considered an invasion of privacy. So why, then, cannot my marital status be none of their business?

We have had Esurance for 2 years. Our monthly premium started at $62 a month. Exactly 2 years later, our monthly premium is $96 a month. We have had no accidents, tickets or claims in the last 2 years, nor have we changed our policy. We have the same cars we had when we started with them 2 years ago. The first 6 months we apparently had an "online shopper" discount for $8. The rest of the increases took place every month for $1 or $2 a month.

The rep that cancelled our policy estimated that this time next year, we would be at approximately $115 a month based on the regular increases we have had. Over $40 more in 3 years with no changes to our policy or driving record?!?! I called a few times in the last 6 months to ask why the regular increases were taking place, and I was told that "other people in our area were filing a lot of claims". I would NOT recommend you buy insurance unless you want regular increases to reward your perfect driving record!

I had my first accident claim to file with an insurance company. A deer ran out and the damage was a complete loss to Esurance. The loss actually is that I chose Esurance. They didn't want to pay for repairs because if it is a total loss, I get to cover the auto loan because they only paid 25% of the loan. All State gap insurance only cover what your insurance covers. I get to pay the other 50% to pay off my loan. So, I paid $42,000 over the last 7 years for them to cover 1/4 of the car. I just want to save the next person from wasting their money. Go to a real company, Esurance is a scam.

I just use the Esurance auto insurance recently. Their NY customer representative does not know the details of their policy. The representative is not patient. She just does not understand my question at all even though I repeat my concern three time. It is bad experience. I will not choose Esurance again.

I found a cheaper rate from another company a few days before my policy was to renew, so I called esurance to tell them I would not be renewing my policy. Since I had recurring billing, that was one month ahead, the first payment had already come out, so the customer service lady told me I had a refund of $224 coming back. That was nice to hear. She said they would be crediting it back to my last known payment method which was a debit card and bank account I had recently closed, and replaced. I told the woman this, and she said ok, she would note it in the system, and request that I get a paper check. I said fine.

Well, they then sent me an email on August 20 saying that my refund was processed, and had been electronically sent to my debit card... the same one I had told the woman was closed. I called my bank, the transaction never reached them at all... they said even if they had sent it to my old card, they could see it, and put it in my active checking account.

So I called esurance again, and told them the deal, and that I never received my refund. They said that it showed my refund was sent, and accepted by my bank, and there was nothing more they could do. So, long story short, it is now Sept. 10. This has been going on for almost a month now. I've been making calls and doing everything I can to find my money. My bank has been very cooperative and helpful, they did a full investigation, and still say the refund is no place to be found on their end. I even asked esurance for a tracking number, and they gave me some 23 digit number that neither me, nor my bank found helpful. My bank said if I could get them to give me the full debit card number they sent the money to, they could make sure it got sent to the right card.

Also, in case that didn't work, they told me to ask esurance to give me the tracking number that goes along with every electronic transaction. Basically, when I asked for this info from esurance, I was told the long, useless number they gave me to "track the money" was all they had, and they couldn't give me my full debit card number to verify it's correct, because they cannot see the whole number, just the last 4 digits?! Then how the hell have they been charging my debit card in the past?! They pretty much said there is nothing they can do for me. My theory?: Esurance screwed up and sent my money to someone else's debit card, and doesn't want to do the necessary digging for me to get it figured out. I'm sure that someone probably got an unexpected credit of $200 to their debit card... I bet they're happy. Thanks for all your help esurance!

I switched to Esurance probably 7 years ago after my son had been rear-ended by an Esurance customer. At that time the company was superlative in every way and so I canceled my policy at the time and went with Esurance. In 2015 upon moving to another state, I continued with Esurance auto and added Homeowners. Sometime between 2007 and 2015... Esurance became an Allstate company and the result is disastrous.

I have spent HOURS in 2016 trying to clear up errors on their part that caused jumps in my rates of $500... twice. Once on the auto which was squared away and shown to be THEIR fault... not mine. And now all of a sudden the renewal on my homeowners also jumped $500 and once again I have spent hours and hours trying to clear this up. Their procedure is to just say whatever... and then do as they please.

Currently on Aug 24 I received a renewal for my Homeowners slated to roll over six weeks later on Oct 5. The policy cost had gone up $500. I immediately called Esurance and told them I was not renewing at this price. I went over every line of the policy with the Licensed Representative. She could find no reason for the increase and sent the policy back to Underwriting telling me I WOULD hear from them within 48 hours. A week later and one month before the renewal was to go into effect, Esurance drafted my bank account for the first payment on the new policy which I had NOT renewed, did not accept or agree to, did not authorized and I had notified them more than 10 days prior.

I took issue with this procedure but could have been talking to a wall. They refused to reverse the charge claiming it was a cancellation and as such could not be REFUNDED until the rollover date. If I had decline to renew the policy and not authorized any payment then how could this be a REFUND. I did not pay it or authorize it. They just took it.

Only after numerous emails, calls and a complaint directly to the State Insurance Dept... suddenly they reversed their claims!! I did not have to wait 6 weeks to get my REFUND. Suddenly they put it through right away and despite their warnings it might be my BANK'S FAULT if it did not show up for 2 weeks... strangely my REFUND shows in my bank account today. They not only stole my money... Esurance stole my time. I went right out and got another policy locally for $1400 LESS a year than Esurance. Allstate is a horrible company and now they have made Esurance over in their model. STAY AWAY. You can do much better.

I got a quote that seemed to be about $60 cheaper than my current auto + renters insurance. I also changed my deductible from $500 to $1000. I put in my drivers license number and social at the end of the quote for them to verify my driving record. I had one ticket and accident (not at fault). Both my ticket and accident were from 3 years ago. They asked me to pay my first month and additional month initially. I had no problem with that since I assumed I would eventually see that extra month.

4 or 5 days go by and I receive an email from Esurance saying that my premium is going to increased immediately. My premium went up significantly. My monthly payments went from $134 to $290. When I emailed them to see what happened, I was told that they found that the accident I indicated was my fault. I told them I was not at fault and that my current insurance company even has the records to prove it. Once I sent over all the information to prove I was not at fault, they told me it didn't matter. I don't understand how you can give me a quote and use my personal information (Social and license #) and the quote not be correct. I also do not understand how a higher deductible that my current insurance company would not drop the price but make it more expensive.

Needless to say, I didn't cancel my other insurance company since I hadn't received my insurance card with esurance yet. I decided to cancel esurance and stay with State Farm. Esurance ended up taking $50 for being with them for 4 days. I had to keep asking for my refund. Finally after a week of constant emails and phone calls, they tell me they have submitted a refund to my bank. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They also told me that the extra month of insurance you pay initially is considered equity and you never see this money again unless you cancel, and it loses its equity.

I am very disappointed with Esurance and they are consistent with Geico in that they will initially offer a low premium for the first 6 months and upon renewal, increase their rate exponentially. Esurance increased my premium by over 20% claiming that the State has authorized a premium rate increase, but failed to list statistics justifying the underlying cause. They simply claim that due to higher payouts for accident coverage in the state as a whole led to a rate increase. This is exactly the same justification that Geico used to increase my rate by 25% which led to me switching to Esurance in the first place. (No claims nor accidents).

When I initially called Esurance six months ago and spoke to the representative, I expressed my concern with the tactics used by Geico to increase premiums every six months, and especially the 25% increase during the last renewal. I was assured by the Esurance policy preparer that would not happen and that my premium would remain the same at the next renewal if no accidents or claims were made against the policy. Clearly, this was a blatant untruth to secure the policy.

Today I spoke to Rebecca, who would not provide her last name or way to contact her, who claimed to be a licensed insurance agent for Esurance. When asked why my rates increased, she immediately read a prepared response saying that the state in which I reside authorized a rate increase. When pressed for statistics, she continued to read the same prepared response claiming accident payouts increased in my state, thus granting their company to seek premium adjustments. I asked her how this increase could equal to 20% and her response, and yes, this is her actual statement made very sarcastically, "Groceries increase each week and so do other expenses." I asked her to qualify her statement if she actually believed grocery prices increase 20% every six months, for a total of 40% each year... She reverted back to reading the prepared statement.

Consumer beware. They are very much akin to Geico and provide a teaser rate and at the six month renewal period, increase your rates exponentially. No claims or accidents, and simply blame it on the state. Lastly, I understand that a state can authorize a rate adjustment, but a 20% adjustment by this company and 25% by Geico is inexplicable.

We signed up and paid for one year of Homeowners insurance with Esurance in June to be effective August 1, 2016. We had a leak in our master bath shower and called them and they started our claim August 8th. We were in contact with an inside and outside adjuster at every step in the process of asbestos, mold and moisture extraction. The tile was removed (all at the inside adjusters approval) and the process started. TODAY, August 31 we are informed that our insurance policy will be cancelled because the review has not been completed. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE OUR INSURANCE POLICY TO LOOK AT!!! This is a horrible company!!!

I got a new quote from Esurance as my Geico policy was about to end and I was considering switching for a little bit cheaper 6 month policy. I received a quote that was around 70 dollars cheaper for 6 months (450/8 mos Esurance, I pay 520 for my Geico plan), accepted the quote and paid for it online yesterday, with intention of canceling my Geico policy today. Woke up to an email that my 6 month premium would be double (900 something) the initial quote and the new premium will be factored into my future payments. I immediately requested cancellation and am working with the bank to do a chargeback on my credit card and to block them from future charges.

I purchased homeowners insurance from them. The premium was high as I had not had homeowners in a while. The house is in perfect condition with new wiring/roof/windows and many upgrades. Upon acceptance of my offer they decided to send out an inspector who wanted to move the home from 2 story to 1.5 and add sq. That was okay not a big deal. He also said the house was under repair because the backside of a room was still being sided. No big deal and an easy fix however Esurance in their infinite wisdom decided at that time to put the value to rebuild my home to approx 570k then they increased the premium from less than 2k to 7K for the year. Needless to say I called and in talking with their rep we decided to put in a request for a new quote with all new information provided by THEIR inspector.

After placing the info we got a quote for half of the 7k they were asking. This whole process is now suspect in my opinion the entire process is set up to defraud people out of their money. If I were a younger man and needed or had to have their insurance this would be amazingly hard for me to pay. I think that is the bait and switch. Let's say lure them in with hopes of a decent price for insurance. Then once you hook them notify them via email that their payment will be close to quadruple the estimate. After many phone calls I finally gave up and just asked to cancel. At that time they confirmed my cancellation but continued to charge my CC. Overall I think this company sucks to the point that they are not worth being in business and should just close the doors. Every aspect of dealing with them is a fraud.

I had auto policy of 2 cars and renter's insurance with Esurance for a few years, then I added homeowners once we purchased a house. I was supposed to get a multi policy discount, but once applied my bill was still the same for my auto. Nobody was able to explain why my bill didn't go down with the "discount". 2 months after settling on the house we had to put in a claim because we noticed some water damage to the ceiling. They canceled our policy immediately because we put in a claim within 2 months of moving in. I have no idea how this is a legal thing to do, but they canceled us.

But it was a blessing in disguise because I got a better rate for more coverage with someone else now, for both auto and homeowners, and they still have to pay for our claim. I also did a DIY inspection by providing them with the appraisal we got from our mortgage company and they did not want to accept it. They wanted us to pay for an appraisal, which we refused to. After a few hours on the phone and back and forth they claimed that they are going to accept it but the policy is being canceled anyway because of our claim so it doesn't make a difference whether they accept it or not. I guess that's why they're mad and canceled our policy without explanation other than the 2 month period.

My daughter was driving through a parking lot and their driver was in a parking spot. As my daughter drove down the lane she backed out and hit my car. They are refusing to pay my claim. My insurance states it is 100% her fault after their investigation. There is no way it is our fault. Now as a single mom I have to come up with my deductible and the two insurance companies have to battle it out. However I have seen multiple posts that they don't even pay their own insured policy holders claims either. They are a joke of an insurance company and should be sued and put out of business. The adjuster for them is totally hateful and still has not informed me that they have denied my claim. They are just BAD all the way around.

This insurance company is fraudulent how they trick the customers. I got a quote after they checked my driver license record and all that bumpy question they ask about your driving history. At first, the price they gave me sounded affordable for me, but 3 weeks after, I found out that they took more money than we agreed on! They charged my account almost double the original price. After I contact them to see why they charged me so much more, they are telling me that they have found an accident on my record from 2013. I've never had this kind of experience with any other insurance company! Very poor and unsatisfied customer service.

I had a misunderstanding with my previous company that caused me to be without insurance for 9 days. I filled Esurance form online, then called their customer service person (I also did the same with a competitor). I asked him: "Is that 9 day gap would raise my premiums?" "No." He said, "Not if you had continuous coverage for more than 6 months before that we can verify." The competitors said it would cost about $300 more. So I went with Esurance. Big mistake. After I sent them all documents confirming continuous coverage for the previous two years, they emailed me that they'll raise my premium by $500 because of that 9 day gap.

I called customer service. They said customer service people have no right to give me such a promise since it's another department. So they lied. I asked a supervisor to call. She called to tell me why I am wrong. I asked her to listen to the original conversation since they claimed to have taped them. She wouldn't. She lectured me why I should pay the extra $500 a year. Of course I am changing to another company. I am not going to stay a year with a bad company. What if I need them?

Was a customer for 3 years. Never had an issue. Out of the blue they sent me a notification that my policy had to be reevaluated because they believed there was another driver living at my home and I had to prove that they had their own vehicle. That person has not lived in my home for years had no way of contacting them. They cancelled my policy and left me high and dry. Told me they would get back to me in 48 hours... so I switched to GEICO. Got 67.00 off. Good riddance idiots.

I had Geico auto insurance for 9 years without a single incident or problem. Geico slowly increased my premium from $240 to $360, and I decided to shop for a lower premium. Esurance looked okay, they proposed a $270 policy. Then, after taking my payment, they sent me an email asking for documentation for low-mileage usage on one of my two vehicles. And they wanted that strictly in a 30 days period, or they will increase my policy premium to $327. I made one picture of an odometer, and I needed another one exactly in 30 days. But I would be traveling abroad exactly when this 30-days period ends.

I called Esurance explaining that I’ll be abroad and will be able to make a second picture of the odometer only when I’m back in 40 days. They refused to take that and said they will increase my premium anyway. Then I had to pay $50 for a cancellation. I went back to Geico and was able to get even a better deal: $242. Lesson learned: better work with companies that you already know and trust. I regret that I paid Esurance this $50 cancellation fee, they did not deserve that - really inferior service and not caring about their customers even in small things. Then what to expect from them if you are really in troubles?

I shopped for new car insurance and signed up with Esurance as they had the best rates for my situation. When finalizing the contract online I was informed that my rates might go up within 48 hours after verifying driving record and claims history. I called Esurance Customer Service to ask how I could cancel my contract with them should the rate increase - they told me there would be a $50 cancellation fee. I took the risk and finalized the 6-month contract with a start date about 2-3 weeks into the future. Then I did not hear from Esurance until the day the policy started... I thought everything is fine with the very competitive rate I got.

On the day the policy started I received an email from Esurance that my rate will go up by 56% because of driving record and claims history. I immediately cancelled the policy but had to pay the higher rate for a few days. I am not blaming Esurance that the rate went up because of my claims history, BUT it is not ok to let customers know on the very day the policy goes in effect weeks later even though during the signing process they tell you this will be checked within 48 hours. Esurance is purposely waiting for rate increase information until the day policies become effective in hopes customers will just stick with it because it is a hassle to shop for a new provider at that point. I recommend to stay away from them.

I purchased a 6 month policy and paid in full on 6/4/2016. The cost was 321.69. I've been with them for 3 years and never had an issue. 6/14 I was billed another 43.61. I called and I was told it was a 'tax' charged by the city of Covington. I discovered this to be not true after contacting a city official. The rep who explained this simply and rudely said 'It's a tax, man!'. I then contacted Progressive, confirmed there is no such tax from my city and was provided with a much more inexpensive quote and purchased through them. I contacted Esurance to cancel this policy and I requested a FULL refund because they misquoted me. They agreed to provide me a full refund and advised me it would be processed electronically.

Upon contacting them again on 6/19 to ask where my refund was, they advised me that they could not process the refund electronically and have instead mailed me a paper check. They advised me to wait at least 10 days for the check which would be 6/30. I still have not received my refund, and today is 6/30. Upon advising them that I have not received it, they stated it was sent on 6/21 and to wait a few more business days. This is absurd, as the 2nd charge for 43.61 was unexpected. It was billed to my PayPal account which drew from my bank account resulting in overdraft fees. I had intended to use PayPal credit for my policy, however the way it was billed resulted in it being drawn from my account. I discovered this as I was trying to buy gas to see my dad on father's day.

I contacted them that day and demanded my money, and I suspect as a result they purposely delayed my refund. My bank has agreed to reverse the bulk of my overdraft fees, but there is still $15 dollars they billed for it being overdrawn for the time it was (it was a week before I got my check deposited). Esurance agreed to compensate me for that fee but they are demanding that I fax them my bank statement, and are refusing to accept a screenshot of my bank info online. I don't trust them enough to want to share my statement with them and don't feel like I should be obligated to, considering I can send multiple screenshots proving their charge resulted in the situation I was in.

I have read several reviews regarding Esurance including one which asked how he/she could rely upon these reviews. I'm hoping this will help: I have been an attorney for nearly 30 years specializing in personal injury claims. As such, I cannot tell you how many insurance companies I have dealt with but, rest assured, I have had matters with dozens of different companies. I left my insurance carrier for Esurance because of pricing. This was, by far, the worst decision I could have made. It is important to know that I chose Esurance because they are an "Allstate Company." My experiences with Allstate over the years is that they will stand by their insureds no matter what.

Approximately 5 weeks after purchasing the Esurance policy, my daughter had a terrible accident. Thankfully, she was okay. As the accident was only 1 mile from our home I was able to get to the accident scene rather quickly. The police had just arrived and were interviewing the other driver; they approached my daughter with paperwork but never asked her what happened. I asked them if they needed her version and was told that they had enough information. When I looked at the cars involved (there were two), my car was almost into the shoulder and was clearly totaled. The other vehicle had traveled into the intersection, struck my car spinning it 180 degrees and continued over two cement islands coming to rest approximately 50-60 feet away. That car, too, was totaled.

I immediately reported the accident to Esurance and was assured that a full investigation would happen. I was assigned an adjuster who, from the beginning, acted as if she was on the other driver's side. The adjuster had taken this driver's statement; this driver said that she watched my daughter driving from all the way to the left through the entire intersection against traffic! In short, if this driver was moving from the 6 o'clock position to 12 o'clock position (she was), she stated that my daughter was traveling from the 9 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position. That would mean my child traveled nearly 6 lanes of moving traffic without a scratch.

Of course, this was not what the police indicated--my daughter was traveling from 12-6 o'clock. Esurance requested my daughter's statement (which I said we would give once we had the police report). The report came with a witness who indicated that the other driver ran a red light and my daughter struck the other driver. He said that the accident was the fault of the other driver. He had 2 passengers in his car. Esurance had the police report but, without my daughter's statement nor that of the witness, sent me a letter saying that my daughter was completely at fault for the accident. I sent a threatening letter, they re-opened the file, took more statements and, even after taking the statement of the witness determined that my daughter was 100% at fault.

I would NEVER recommend this company; they are extraordinarily difficult to deal with and do NOT act in good faith. I intend to file a lawsuit for bad faith (luckily I know how) but wonder how many people have been treated similarly that do not have the means to litigate against such a company. And, FYI, they are not really part of Allstate. Allstate purchased Esurance so as to have an online presence. I hope this has helped someone else out there.

I've been an Esurance customer for a couple of years now. We always pay on time because Esurance makes you pay automatically, and we have never filed any claims with them. My spouse and I both have excellent driving records, with no accidents or tickets for either of us. Our monthly payment for our two cars was about $200. Everything was fine until my husband scuffed a parked car in a grocery store parking lot, and then a week later it rained terribly here and my car flooded, totaling it out. Esurance handled the claim for my husband's fender bender quite well. They were very quick to respond to both myself and the gentleman whose car we scuffed.

An Esurance agent, Chris **, came to our house to evaluate my husband's truck, and cut a check made payable to both my husband and the repair shop they ended up selecting. When Mr. ** cut the check, he told my husband that we had rental reimbursement, and he could get a rental car whenever he was ready to drop his truck off at the repair shop. I know we had rental reimbursement, because I was put into a rental car that was paid for by Esurance for a few days after my car flooded and Esurance determined it was totaled. I was told at the time I made the claim for the flooded car that this particular claim did not count against me, and would not raise my rates.

When my husband was ready to get his truck fixed, we called Esurance simply to confirm that we did have rental coverage for this claim. The first two times I called in and went though the stupid automated menu, I was connected to an agent who then quickly HUNG UP ON ME. Both times. The third time I was connected to an agent, I began explaining my question, and the instant I mentioned the word "claim", he interrupted me and said he was going to transfer me to the claims department. I protested, but he spoke over me, and transferred me anyway. The lady in the claims department sounded like she already hated me, and as soon as I began explaining my question to her, she also interrupted me and transferred me to the agent who was over that particular claim, who, of course, was not in the office that day, so I left a voicemail.

During this time, Esurance charged me my monthly payment of about $200 - except that it was now $480, which they happily deducted without notifying me of the significant increase. After I was hit with this unexpected increase, I logged into my account and saw that my policy was set for renewal...at $580 a month! For coverage of ONE truck and two drivers with no record of accidents or citations (I removed my car after it was totaled and paid off by the bank). Of course we knew that our premium would go up, but we didn't expect it to nearly triple! I emailed Esurance (since they offer no live chat services and because I work for living, and therefore don't have all day to play around on the phone with snarky automated menus and rude agents who like to hang up on people) to inquire if this significant raise in my premium was adequate when compared to our nearly perfect driving record.

That was over a week ago, and I have never received any sort of reply, which I guess is a reply, in a sense. A nice, big ** reply. I also wasn't able to get in touch with the claims agent to confirm anything until I went to Twitter and started blowing up @EsuranceCares. Suddenly, Mr. Claims Agent had time to call me back. Not only did he say we WEREN'T covered for the rental car, he said that Mr. ** stated that he NEVER told us that. I get the feeling that we have been flagged, or marked in some sort of negative manner - presumably because we filed a claim with them. I still don't know if I am being penalized for the flooded car or not, but it doesn't matter. To expect a loyal and good customer to pay almost $600 A MONTH for coverage of ONE vehicle is absolutely absurd.

I received two quotes from two big names in the insurance game, and both are way cheaper for the exact same coverage I have now, and that's after informing both of them of my husband's accident and my flooded car. Esurance is obviously not interested in keeping customers if they increase their rates so ridiculously whenever someone utilizes the insurance coverage they pay for. As soon as we get my husband's truck fixed, we will be dropping Esurance like a bad habit and will go with one of the bigger names that also offers accident forgiveness.

I was a customer of Esurance for 1 week. When I originally did my policy over the phone I told the young man that I needed SR22. He assured me that it would not be a problem to add the SR22. Do feeling confident that I made the right choice with this insurance company, I said, "Ok let's write the policy up." Now my first quote without SR22 was $176.00. The very next day I called back to pay and the price went up to $327.00, I'm thinking it was because he didn't add the SR22 yet. So that was fine, I paid it. Within that same week I received a letter from the DMV telling me that I need to show proof of SR22 with my insurance company. I called Esurance to tell them what was needed before the DMV suspend my license.

The CS rep told me I didn't have SR22, and that if I wanted to add that I had to pay the first 6 months of SR22 up front first. Then she went on to say that it would be $752.00 to add the SR22 then they could send it over to the DMV. Ok, by this point I'm cursing, boiling, and going off on the phone at her. The only thing she kept saying was, "We can't don't anything for you or your SR22" because I didn't pay my first 6 months up front. I asked for the manager (I'm still cursing). No one never told me I had to pay my first 6 months up front if that was the case I would've never gave y'all my money from the start. So I asked the manager, "Will I be reimbursed my money back since I've only had y'all for 3 days?" The manager said, "No!!" That made me curse even more. How can you tell me I can't get my money back and you only covered me for 3 freaking days?

This manager told me the only way I can get my money back is if my license got suspended and the letter came to them from the DMV that they were suspended. That's it. I'm not going to wait for my license to be suspended before y'all pay me my money back. By this time, I'm crying and really upset. All of this happened on a Thursday, I only had 1 day to find another insurance company and my SR22 before that following Monday the day my license were to be suspended. I thank God for good people in my life because I'm with another insurance company where I didn't have to pay 6 months of SR22 up front, and I did all this on that Friday after Esurance bs. Something should be done about this company. I think they are crooked and they try to get extra money from people for things that are not even possible.

I've never know a insurance company to run your credit just to get homeowners insurance. How can you determine that I need to pay $98 monthly for 10,000 worth of homeowners insurance off my credit? This company is a fraud, they steal money any way that the can and someone really need to take a look into their files, and the customers complaints and why people are leaving them. Once again, Esurance is a Crooked insurance company that's stealing money from people, and from me reading all the other complaints this is and was something that Esurance has been doing for a while.

I have been insured with Esurance for a few years. At first we had a very reasonable policy premium. A few days later we are getting called from the underwriters that our policy was going up saying they just got the reports back and something's impacted the premium. They then called again a few days later wanting me to exclude my husband, who has a CDL license and drives for a living, from the policy due to his driving record. He had no accidents and no tickets for over 30 years but 1 speeding ticket he got in a work truck because the calibration was off and one minor bump on a vehicle that parked right behind our driveway on a street where parking is allowed on both sides of the street and made difficult to get out of our driveway. ABSURD!!

Next came an accident 12.30.15 which my granddaughter was authorized to drive the vehicle. It was raining. There was traffic and some ** came flying up the shoulder and cut someone off a few cars up so brakes were slammed, my granddaughter attempted to swerve to avoid an accident but caught the rear left bumper of the person in front of her. Essentially the vehicle was totaled but the body shop was able to maneuver the estimates in such a way that it didn't. A few days into the work on the vehicle, I get a call from someone at Esurance stating that if there's much more added to the estimate, they're just going to consider the vehicle a total loss to which I told him “Once work is started on a vehicle you can't turn around and total the vehicle.” Then I'm getting calls to exclude my granddaughter from the policy. NO WAY!!!

I fought long and hard about this and started looking for new insurance because I was told they weren't going to renew my policy. Then a few weeks later, I get a renewal offer. Great! Because changing insurance sometimes can be a hassle. The last straw was May 18, 2016. We get an email from an claims adjuster about an accident reported to one of my vehicles on May 17, 2016. I asked what he was talking about – none of my vehicles were in an accident. This is where it gets suspicious. An accident was reported as my granddaughter driving my vehicle which just happened to be reported as happening on a day my her and her another were on a plane coming home from Texas and just happened the alleged accident took place at the same exact spot as the December accident. They're claiming to have proof from the claimant, pictures.

How can there be damage to his car when there's none to mine and my vehicle was not on the road that day? I had to send pictures of the vehicle which I did which showed no damage. They tried for 3 weeks to get a hold of the claimant for pictures. Finally he sent stuff in. It's total ** and it's a set up from Esurance. The pictures sent to the adjuster show each car individually. I have had to fight because they're stating there's damage to the license plate which is proof. HELLOOO that is damage fr on the December accident!!! I demanded someone to come out in person which was done and he even said there's no damage and it would show splintering of paint if my car was in an accident. Next comes the call from a special investigator. Trying to intimidate my granddaughter in to confessing because it will be easier in the long run and the damage is only $950.

Sorry but NO, not confessing to something we didn't do. I spoke with his supervisor and FOUGHT with her too. I TOLD her to pull the files from the December accident. She can because she works for Esurance, and view both pictures together. There's preexisting damage that they were claiming was new. They wanted to come out and take my granddaughter’s statement. Hello are you stupid? She has already given her statement and had a statement of non involvement notarized. This is such a scam insurance. In the middle of all this, they had an underwriter call wanting us to add or exclude someone in the household who doesn't have a license or even a permit solely because he was 16. Hellooo Maryland law states you cannot edit someone fr on the policy to which you can't insure.

That was a fight too. My God. One damn accident and ** blows up in your face. I got a new policy with a new company and called to cancel my policy with Esurance and they're asking me why and so flat out told them their company is **. STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ESURANCE UNLESS YOU WANT NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS.

I obtained an auto insurance quote from Esurance.com and subsequently purchased the policy. I paid in full. As soon as Esurance had taken my payment in full, they requested all kinds of proof for their supposed "discounts." They requested proof of previous policy or my rate would go up by $ 300 which was a 40% increase of my current premium. I provided proof of my previous coverage so my policy premium remained the same. The following day (day 1 of my policy being in effect), they reviewed my policy declarations and although I had provided proof of insurance during the last 6 months, they stated that my Bodily Injury Limit was 30k person/60k incident and for this reason, my rating was being downgraded and my policy with Esurance was going from 50k/100k bodily injury to 30k/60k and my policy premium was still going up another $ 205 (which was about 33% higher than the current premium I had).

GEICO provided a cheaper quote without any of the arbitrary rules that Esurance had. To me it seemed as though they were going to find any excuse to spike my premium after the supposed "discounts" they provided. How can they lower your limits and spike your premium? How is my bodily injury limit relevant to my new insurance policy and then a reason to spike my policy premium? To me it seems, they make you jump through hoops and more to provide any supposed discount. They have arbitrary, subjective and beneficial policies to them to spike your premium once you are on the hook.

Upon cancellation of a policy I used 1 day, they take the liberty of charging me a 10% cancellation fee of the total policy premium-not the $ 754 they originally quoted me and priced me, but rather the $ 960, they had spiked the premium to, after I was already on the hook with them. My 1 day policy and stress with Esurance cost me $ 100. To put the cherry on top, they e-mailed me documentation to return a driver sense device for another insured in another state. Just another sign of the disorganization of this company and their true colors. I could have used that money in much better ways. I have policy now through GEICO. Whatever you do, avoid Esurance.

I filed one claim with insurance and they doubled my premium. They tried to justify this saying that it increased because of that one claim, I lost a "no claim discount", and that my state regulations have changed in the past 2 months. So my 6 month premium for one driver on one car went from $500 to $1000. Do not trust them, they are criminals and I should contact the attorney general.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
  • Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.
  • Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.
  • Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.
  • Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.
  • Best for New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Compare Auto Insurance