2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5

Esurance is an online insurance provider that’s part of the Allstate family. It offers auto, motorcycle, homeowners and renters insurance, and it was one of the first businesses to sell insurance online. Esurance gives free online quotes and has an easy-to-use mobile app, and its Coverage Counselor helps find the right coverage for your needs and budget. It also offers discounts for policy bundles.

BOTTOM LINE

Esurance is an insurance provider ideal for tech-savvy drivers who want to bundle their coverages. It offers basic, transparent policies without many customization options.

PROS

• Easy-to-use website
  • Coverage calculator
  • Bundle discounts

CONS

• Few customization options
  • Fairly high prices

Top Esurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

It was very easy to call and set up a policy. The person helping me was very polite and helpful… I also like that I can download an app to my phone that has my insurance cards and payment history on it. They also have a DriveSafe feature that I enjoy using as well…

It was very easy to purchase my policy. I went online, put in all the driver information on the vehicle information, selected the coverage I wanted and purchase my policy and was set up in a short time. I liked that they were an online company and it was very easy to access their services…

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Esurance?

Esurance is an online insurance company owned by Allstate that's known for offering affordable insurance bundles. It's one of the first companies to sold insurance online, and its easy-to-use website simplifies the online quote process. Esurance offers auto, homeowners, renters and motorcycle insurance, as well as discounts for combined coverage. It's available for auto insurance in 43 states.

How does Esurance work?

To sign up for Esurance, enter your information on its website, then you’ll receive a cost estimate before you sign up. The company offers all the necessary auto coverages, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, medical payments and personal injury protection. It also has a few additional options, like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement.

Esurance has a mobile app that lets you send photos of damages for a claim rather than waiting for an appraiser.

Esurance quotes and rates

Esurance costs vary depending on insurance type, whether or not it's bundled, and the details of your situation and needs. Typically, a 30-year-old can expect to pay $235 a month for auto insurance. Esurance provides several discounts and also offers DriveSense, which monitors your driving habits and can earn you further price cuts.

Esurance FAQ

Are Esurance and Allstate the same company?
Allstate owns Esurance.
Does Esurance check credit?
Yes, Esurance uses a credit-based insurance score to help determine your policy costs.
How much is Esurance's cancellation fee?
Esurance's cancellation fee is either 10% of your remaining premium balance or a flat rate of $30 to $50.
Who is the CEO of Esurance?
Jonothan Adkisson is Esurance's CEO.

Is Esurance good?

Esurance is a solid auto coverage option if you're looking for a straight-to-the-point, affordable insurance policy that you can manage easily online. You can visit its website to see if you qualify for its services.

Esurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

It was very easy to set up my policy at the beginning, and they even helped with a few kinks due to mortgage closing issues. The rate is very competitive for equal coverage. They have been easy to deal with. I have not had to make a claim yet, so don't know how that goes, but I don't expect any issues, should the need arise.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I had to get another insurance for my daughter's car. I was not keen on not having control on making my payments but that is the way Esurance handles their accounts. I have been their customer for 2 years and they have been wonderful. Kind, professional, experienced, up-to-date, and in the know. Prices are affordable! That feels good!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Not sure why there's so many 1 star reviews recently, but for me as a long time Mercury Insurance client, it was a NO BRAINER to go with ESURANCE and save myself $200. I called AAA, State Farm, Liberty Mututal, Farmers, Safeco, and could NOT SAVE me as much money as ESURANCE did. AAA came pretty close, but I will revisit that another day. If ESURANCE is just all smoke and mirrors, I will post another review in the future detailing that. My renewal just came up and my policy renewal only went up $1. So FAR, so GOOD.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

This company took money from my account well after I was no longer a customer! 4 phone calls I made to the company, with no resolve! Only one person I spoke with actually had customer service skills! I did not authorize this debit on this date! Highly disappointed! The snowball effect this had on my account will hurt me for quite some time. Absolute blasphemy!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Been with Esurance for over eight years. Always been behind the technical side of business and lately their updates have created real problems. Cancellation notices twice after never having a missed payment date. They blamed their software. Happened three times with emails and a letter over a weekend. Now change your payment date a day due to Social Security payment date and they charge a late payment. After all the nonsense I will shop for new auto ins and leave this screwed up company. Their Renters insurance is overpriced and undervalued. Stay away from them just for good peace of mind. Too much trouble now doing business with them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

By far the worst service from any insurance company I have ever had. Screwed me out of my car by totaling out my car which was still drivable after being in an accident and taking my $1,500 deductible that supposed to go towards damages and repairs subtracted from the total value of my car (almost 5,800) in order to not fix my car. The cost of damages was 4,500. Ended up being a difference of $200 all because they deducted $1,500 that supposed to go towards damages and repairs from the value of my car which after subtracting the 1500 is now 4300 value.. then they took forever to let me know how much it cost is going to be and then they tried to say I didn't return the rental car which is crazy because I ended up paying for my own rental after returning the rental car.

They even sent me the receipt confirming that they paid for the rental.. They left me in the hole with $7,500 still owed to my lienholder.. just got off the phone with one of the supervisors because they're trying to charge me for services that I don't even have with them anymore. I already paid them up in full and it happened at the end of my lease so I didn't have to renew my lease. They automatically renewed it for me and tried to charge me for it after they send me a cancellation notice to let me know that my policy was being canceled because I allowed it to end at the end of my policy terms and I didn't renew it... Don't trust Esurance... especially the claims department. They are nothing but Crooks but the regular employees they are nice. The claims department and the supervisors are all Crooks... Again I say stay away from Esurance.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

DO NOT USE!!! VERY BAD INSURANCE COMPANY!!! Multiple trees fell on my brand new house causing a lot of damage....Esurance offered me not even 5% of the damages....THE WORST!!!! DO NOT USE!!! They will send a company out to look at damages and write a report saying everything is normal wear and tear! HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I thought like other insurance companies that Esurance actually cared about their customers. I received 10% back because of Covid like everyone else. My 6 month renewal just approached and was notified that my premium would increase over 10.00 a month. What could I do but shake my head. I felt that I should have known that they will get their money back and then some. They could care less about you.

I live less than a mile from work and walk most of the time. Esurance said that did not matter and no discount could be applied. I should probably add that I have never put in a claim with esurance. In fact the last claim I ever put in was 30 years ago with another company for a small fender bender. I should also add that I haven't even had esurance for a full year and they are already raising my rates during this time of crisis. Goodbye Esurance. I am in the process of switching over to Geico.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Esurance is the most disgusting, unethical insurance company I’ve ever been with. Don’t trust their whole Drivesense thing because they’ll kick you off right before you’re supposed to get your discount. I’ve been driving carefully logging every trip for my entire term. I was due for a 15% discount next term and won’t get it now because they don’t want to have to dish it out. I’ve had no crashes, tickets, nothing at all the entire time. Now I have to pay extra to another company to start a term with them. It’s despicable. Esurance will screw you over in the middle of a global pandemic to save a little money. That’s the kind of company they are.

Original review: July 16, 2020

If you are looking for an insurance company that rolls over and accepts fault in a car accident you are not at fault for then Esurance is right for you. If you are looking for an insurance company to fight for you and not blindly accept fault and twist reality to accept fault then I would keep looking. This insurance company is an absolute disgrace. I do not know how operating in this manner makes financial sense for the company unless it is entirely based on the one time payment to raise someone's rates. As soon as I find a better insurance company I will be tossing this one away where it belongs.

Esurance Company Information