3.2/5 (3064 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Esurance

Esurance is an online insurance provider that’s part of the Allstate family. It offers auto, motorcycle, homeowners and renters insurance, and it was one of the first businesses to sell insurance online. Esurance gives free online quotes and has an easy-to-use mobile app, and its Coverage Counselor helps find the right coverage for your needs and budget. It also offers discounts for policy bundles.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Coverage calculator
  • Bundle discounts

Cons

• Few customization options
  • Fairly high prices

Bottom Line

Esurance is an insurance provider ideal for tech-savvy drivers who want to bundle their coverages. It offers basic, transparent policies without many customization options.

Top Esurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Verified

It was very easy to call and set up a policy. The person helping me was very polite and helpful… I also like that I can download an app to my phone that has my insurance cards and...

Verified

It was very easy to purchase my policy. I went online, put in all the driver information on the vehicle information, selected the coverage I wanted and purchase my policy and was ...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

What is Esurance?

Esurance is an online insurance company owned by Allstate that's known for offering affordable insurance bundles. It was one of the first companies to sell insurance online, and its easy-to-use website simplifies the online quote process. Esurance offers auto, homeowners, renters and motorcycle insurance, as well as discounts for combined coverage. It's available for auto insurance in 43 states.

How does Esurance work?

To sign up for Esurance, enter your information on its website, then you’ll receive a cost estimate before you sign up. The company offers all the necessary auto coverages, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, medical payments and personal injury protection. It also has a few additional options, like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement.

Esurance has a mobile app that lets you send photos of damages for a claim rather than waiting for an appraiser.

Esurance quotes and rates

Esurance costs vary depending on insurance type, whether or not it's bundled, and the details of your situation and needs. Typically, a 30-year-old can expect to pay $235 a month for auto insurance. Esurance provides several discounts and also offers DriveSense, which monitors your driving habits and can earn you further price cuts.

Esurance FAQ

Are Esurance and Allstate the same company?
Allstate owns Esurance.
Does Esurance check credit?
Yes, Esurance uses a credit-based insurance score to help determine your policy costs.
How much is Esurance's cancellation fee?
Esurance's cancellation fee is either 10% of your remaining premium balance or a flat rate of $30 to $50.
Who is the CEO of Esurance?
Jonothan Adkisson is Esurance's CEO.

Is Esurance good?

Esurance is a solid auto coverage option if you're looking for a straight-to-the-point, affordable insurance policy that you can manage easily online. You can visit its website to see if you qualify for its services.

Esurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I had the pleasure of speaking with Alexis from Esurance, and just wow. Her customer service was incredible and she really understood my situation. It was the Best experience I have ever had.

-Kristy

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

I filed a claim with Esurance 4 months ago after one of their insured hit my vehicle. Since then, I’ve been struggling to reach my claims adjuster, Alicia **, her manger Chasity **, and her supervisor George **. There is only one more step left in the process of me getting my documentation sent to the auto repair shop so that they can repair my vehicle. Today, I spent an hour on the phone trying to reach someone, ANYONE who could help me with this process. No luck! This is by far the WORST experience I’ve ever had with an insurance company! I’m insured by GEICO, and they’re a dream compared to ESURANCE.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

While vacationing out of state at a rented cabin in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, three black bears destroyed my vehicle while it was parked in the lot outside the cabin. After calling and making the claim, the car was towed, and I rented transportation back to my home in Atlanta at my own expense. After two weeks, I had not so much as received a phone call about the vehicle, and Esurance didn’t even send an appraiser to assess the car for a full month. Eventually, they declared the car a total loss and assigned the case to their total loss department under their agent, Herson **.

It has now been 67 days since my car was totaled, and I still haven’t gotten a fair settlement offer from the total loss department. After more than two months of waiting, I was offered $5000 for a car that was in perfect condition, and would cost $15,000 to replace. Mr. ** assured me that he wasn’t trying to get me bottom value for my car, and then offered $7400. Why offer the original $5000 if you know the car was worth more?

I am asking for a $9000 settlement for this vehicle. After rejecting their offer of $7400, Mr. ** asked me to research car listings in my area for cars of the same year, make, and model. After sending him close to 30 links for local vendors, each with costs ranging from $9000-$15,000, I still have heard no response from him or anyone in his department. Communication has been absolutely atrocious. I call and email between 10-20 times every day, and receive no response, or a response indicating that he is “working on my case” and will “call me right back”. The calls never come.

Why am I being asked to do research on public domain sights to justify a cost for a vehicle that is clearly within the price range I am asking for? All the while I am fighting this battle, I am without reliable transportation for myself or my family, and the company has declined to offer me travel expenses during this period. I submit that Esurance and its appraisal company CCC has intentionally delayed the process beyond a reasonable timeframe in an attempt to wear down my patience so I will accept a deal I know to be undervalued. The data is there.

I have been an Esurance customer for over ten years and have paid upwards of $10,000 in monthly premiums, never filing a claim. Now, that I am in a situation beyond my control and need the security of a reliable insurance agency, I am being ignored, underbid, and in no way being made a priority. If there is any doubt of the validity of this story, hop on any forum where reviews of Esurance are being posted. You will find page after page of frustrated, disenfranchised, and desperate people trying to rebuild their lives, and their stories of the negligence and lack of care from this company.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Be aware if you agree to the 6 months charge ONE TIME they will charge your account 30 days prior to your policy renewal date. For example my renewal date is 12/01/2022. They already took $3000 out of my Bank of America Account. And don't bother to call them you have to dispute the charges; they will NOT refund your money!!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Angel was very helpful. I needed another copy of my policy and she both emailed and mailed it to me. She also answered a number of my questions. She was very pleasant and helpful. I am pleased so far.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I had an auto accident on 6/2/2022 and have not had my claim fulfilled and today's date is 8/17/2022. To start, It took 6 weeks for me to hear ANYTHING from the claims adjuster, and to this day, she has never kept me in the loop with any of the details regarding my claim. She called me the first day I made a formal complaint to Esurance (about her not responding to my calls and emails for 6 weeks) and she has not returned my phone calls or emails since. Initially, my elusive adjuster (the one and only time we spoke) stated that an appraiser could not be scheduled, so I just need to send her pics of the damage. The next day I am contacted by the supervisor who tells me my quote should be ready within 1-2 days. I was confused because I was told they needed my pics, which I had not sent yet, but apparently, they already had them.

Another week passes and I eventually contact the supervisor again who informs me that someone else (not the adjuster) is working on it and not accepting the quote that was delivered by the auto repair shop. Once again I'm told reassurances, and that they just need some answers from the shop and this should be handled in a few days tops. The shop owner sends what they requested and of course, I hear nothing again. I contact the Esurance supervisor again, and it appears there's an issue, but no real answer as to what it is. Therefore, he concludes I do in fact need an appraiser.

Last week (8/12) I was finally scheduled for an appraiser who contacted me when he was "at the shop" on 8/15 but he actually DID NOT ever go. The next day, on 8/16, I spoke to Esurance customer service who instructed me to write an email to customer feedback and stated they should get back to me within 24 hours and I was assured (as usual) that they were taking this very seriously and want to resolve my issue. Well, ANOTHER 24-hour period has passed and NOTHING. No phone calls, no emails. It is UNACCEPTABLE to be treated with so much disdain and disrespect, especially when you pay monthly for a contracted service.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Esurance is now considered a rip off company...We have been with them for 18 years and for the first 15 yrs NEVER has my insurance increased UNTIL 2020. These CEO are out of California...Hmmmm. We have to leave them now because of ALL the claims and reviews I have researched they have NOT paid customers. At this point any company will do. Esurance will go down as the worse company soon. They have no.

This company has NO excuse on premium cost...They make a lot of money. For yrs I have paid $1,400.00 a yr. No tickets, No claims since 2010 and it was not my fault, I was in another vehicle who did not carry enough insurance. Now it is time to move on. I am tired of them ripping us off. They have increased our policy by $80.00...and...We do not drive anywhere, we are seniors and we have not had any tickets or claims and we carry a credit score of 825...Why would they increase? NO reason other than "Because they can" GREED!

Original review: July 29, 2022

I filed a claim with ESURANCE July 16. I spoke with MCELRATH ** on July18. I asked her to send the assignment to the body shop the same day. Now it’s July 28 still no answer from her or supervisor HAMMOND **. Worst experience ever. 0 contact from them and the accident not even my fault. Where the Courtesy for People property who pay insurance every month. This don’t align with ESURANCE policy. I will be contacting its Pennsylvania insurance department.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Esurance is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. The adjuster on my claim, TOMMIE **, has ignored repeated request to call me to handle my claim. Esurance doesn’t seem to know what supervisors are on the job, or on extended leave and not monitoring their messages. Esurance keeps connecting me to Nicole **, who is on extended leave. They have no one monitoring the calls and messages for the employees who make themselves unavailable or are not at work, on vacation or somehow not there to supervise. Their voice system is like being in the 7th ring of hell.

If all you want is an insurance card to prove you have coverage Esurance is the place to go. If you want an insurer that actually provides the coverage stay away from Esurance. I have provided names of the people who aren’t doing their jobs so Esurance will know who they are. Don’t harass them. Just know to avoid them if Esurance wants to assign them to your claim. I can’t provide all the names but at least 10 different people have done a crappy job of getting this going. I only want a phone call so I get things moving. The problem is really Esurance as a company. They take your money and that’s all. I called Esurance 20 times (exact count). I called Tommie ** at least 8 times & left messages which were not returned. Got transferred to non-working telephone 5 times.

Original review: July 10, 2022

0 Stars. I had Esurance for years for coverage on my car. They been fine until you need to file a claim on your car and they are nowhere to be found. My car was vandalized 2 weeks ago. Nothing major just a mirror. I opened a claim thru their claims department and a representative contacted me 2 days later and that was the last I heard from them. Another email thru their terrible messaging system (not even email) and I have gotten nothing except crickets since. I have sent message after message inquiring about the status of my claim, updates but they do not even have the common customer service skills on getting back to you.

I sent emails to the claims representatives' supervisor and also called and left messages with 0 responses. Today I checked on their system and my claim is listed as closed. Unbelievable. You close my claim and my car has not even been fixed? CONSUMERS, please look elsewhere for coverage. They state they have the best rates because they are internet based but you can't even get a human person on the phone. Their rates are also very high compared to Geico or Progressive.

Esurance Company Information