Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

BOTTOM LINE

Backed by AllState and serving 43 states, Esurance is one of the first companies to offer insurance directly to customers online or on the phone. Customers are attracted to the ease of getting quotes and managing their accounts online with a suite of interactive tools and mobile apps.

PROS

• Offers coverage for damages not caused by an accident, such as fire and vandalism
  • Provides SR-22 for drivers with high-risk insurance policies
  • Carries attractive coverages and discounts
  • Standout mobile apps include CoverageMyWay, DriveSense, RepairView Program
  • Backed by financially strong AllState

CONS

• Prices relatively higher than competitors
  • No agents to contact

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Esurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Esurance doesn't use agents, so they save money on employees and office space. I was a bit leary at first, but have made a couple of claims and had no issues. Everything is done online or over the phone and they have the cheapest rates I've found. They are backed by Allstate. Allstate was our previous insurance company, but found that they kept raising rates, even though we didn't make any claims.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Customer service is great. They explain things so it’s easy to understand. The insurance is reasonable and you can talk to a real person 24/7. They tailor your insurance to just what you need or want. They are not pushy.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The price is great: I used to be with Nationwide with an traditional agent. I switched to Esurance and saved 30%. After I switched I totaled my car and had small water damage in my basement due to water heater failure. For both claims I dealt with the insurance adjusters and both were reasonable, punctual and efficient. They are using efficiencies and technology such as video claims, etc. They save money by not having a brick and mortar traditional agent, adjusters that have to come to your house, etc and pass on the savings. I recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I reached out to customer support needing help, but was responded to by what was either a computer or someone that lacked any empathy or kindness. I will be going with a different insurance company and suggest others do the same. They do not care about their customers, they only care about $$$. The epitome of what is wrong with our country.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I had Esurance for over a year and things started out fine. My rate was low and I had no complaints. Then it began... The first thing that happened was the "Drivesense" or "Drivenonsense" app stopped recording my trips for a couple months. I called to resolve it and they sent me down the black hole of phone calls and transfers to departments. Ok fine. I can live with that. Then an accident took place where someone hit MY CAR and the blame was put on me. NOBODY WOULD LISTEN to my side of what happened and next thing you know my rates go up exponentially. I even went as far as discussing things with an "adjuster" about the accident and they wouldn't even hear it.

Makes me so angry how they require auto insurance in WA state and yet people who are low income like me have to pay half of their damn paycheck for sub-standard auto insurance. Needless to say I dropped their ** and they could care less. They love to send you "Cancellation notices" if they don't get their precious money and will cancel your policy for any damn reason they feel like. They aren't going to take my money anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I went online to purchase insurance for my car, and was able to do it online for $315 for 6 months. Then after I paid everything in full by a binding agreement and after I receive the insurance certificate I am getting constant harassing emails from Serena ** that need to pay them $100 more after they "audit" my policy. After that I told them that if they made a mistake, I am fine if they cancel the purchase and refund my money. Their - response? "No refund, just pay us $100 more." This is nothing but a switch and bait and fraud.

I request complete refund and that nobody ever from this company contacts me in the future. I don't do business with defrauders and tricky companies especially when there are thousands of companies online offering similar service with very reasonable pricing. They quote you one price to steal you from competition since know that you will be getting other quotes online, then after you purchase, they want to "add up" on that price otherwise if you cancel, they will extort a cancellation fee. SOBes.

Resolution response: Dec. 24, 2019

The agent was not knowledgeable & unfortunately this set a bad taste in my mouth. It took a lot of extra work on my part but the issue was resolved.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I went to their website to receive an Auto Insurance Quote. I was asked all of the usual things about my vehicle then I choose to build a customized package. When I finished building it, I selected the pay in full option which would give me 6 months of coverage for $644.20. I was very happy with this amount so I decided to purchase it. The next few pages were several policy documents that had to be electronically signed. I read each one ensuring that they stated the coverages I had selected. They did.

Also, I will include that there was a chat agent alongside to answer any questions during the process which I thought to be very good. However, I got to the payment page, which is the final page, & it now says it has updated my policy price to $759. I proceed to ask the chat agent about the issue & the only thing she could tell me was that she didn't see an option at the price I was given. We went round & round for a bit getting absolutely nowhere. So finally I asked her if I were to send her a screenshot of the original price quote, could she then honor the amount I was originally given & fix it? She told me she could not. So now I am frustrated because this was a waste of my time. It was very misleading & it worries me to have people do business with a falsifying company like this. So beware.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I purchase Esurance insurance and it has been the worst experience ever. I had a claim that was open on Aug 9th 2019 that due someone hitting my car while it was parked. It took forever to get a response from the adjuster. They were never in the office. They never respond to emails or anything. Well on on October the 4th I was hit by an uninsured driver and I filed a claim for that accident as well. They of course took their time reaching out again and I had to do all the checking on the car. The app that is suppose to tell the status of your repair doesn’t work.

They had me do a new claim for the claim on Aug 9 to have the rest of my car repaired and I did so and they said this had to be done because they didn’t include it the original report when I first filed it so I again waited for the adjuster to contact and they never did I explained what was going on with my vehicle to the claims adjuster and what I had been told by agents and the original claims adjuster who took the info. Well I did what the new adjuster told. Had the body shop write up the estimate as to what it would cost to get the rest of the damage fixed and he did and they sent back a response to the estimate to the body and after the body already finished the work they say they aren’t pay the claim. Said they told the body shop, but the body shop owner said he knew nothing til he called.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

It was good at first. Saved me money the first year, then like many others, raised my rate approximately $40 per month upon renewal. I never had a claim, and paid on time, but when I saw their rate changed I went with another company. They charged me $50 to break our relationship. I will NEVER use them again: not because of the raise in rate, but for the $50 cancellation fee.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Filed a claim with Esurance on November 26, 2019. It’s now December 9th and my car is still in the shop because of the pathetic service I’ve received from my insurance provider. They told my mechanic that it would cost them $500 to send someone out to appraise the damage, so they prefer to have photos submitted. As far as I’m concerned they haven’t fixed my car because they’re pinching pennies. Switching providers as soon as this claim is resolved and I suggest staying away from Esurance and their corporate tyranny.

Not sure about Esurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on-the-go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor