2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.9/5 (1269 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Esurance

Esurance is an online insurance provider that’s part of the Allstate family. It offers auto, motorcycle, homeowners and renters insurance, and it was one of the first businesses to sell insurance online. Esurance gives free online quotes and has an easy-to-use mobile app, and its Coverage Counselor helps find the right coverage for your needs and budget. It also offers discounts for policy bundles.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Coverage calculator
  • Bundle discounts

Cons

• Few customization options
  • Fairly high prices

Bottom Line

Esurance is an insurance provider ideal for tech-savvy drivers who want to bundle their coverages. It offers basic, transparent policies without many customization options.

Top Esurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It was very easy to call and set up a policy. The person helping me was very polite and helpful… I also like that I can download an app to my phone that has my insurance cards and...

Verified

It was very easy to purchase my policy. I went online, put in all the driver information on the vehicle information, selected the coverage I wanted and purchase my policy and was ...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Esurance?

Esurance is an online insurance company owned by Allstate that's known for offering affordable insurance bundles. It was one of the first companies to sell insurance online, and its easy-to-use website simplifies the online quote process. Esurance offers auto, homeowners, renters and motorcycle insurance, as well as discounts for combined coverage. It's available for auto insurance in 43 states.

How does Esurance work?

To sign up for Esurance, enter your information on its website, then you’ll receive a cost estimate before you sign up. The company offers all the necessary auto coverages, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, medical payments and personal injury protection. It also has a few additional options, like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement.

Esurance has a mobile app that lets you send photos of damages for a claim rather than waiting for an appraiser.

Esurance quotes and rates

Esurance costs vary depending on insurance type, whether or not it's bundled, and the details of your situation and needs. Typically, a 30-year-old can expect to pay $235 a month for auto insurance. Esurance provides several discounts and also offers DriveSense, which monitors your driving habits and can earn you further price cuts.

Esurance FAQ

Are Esurance and Allstate the same company?
Allstate owns Esurance.
Does Esurance check credit?
Yes, Esurance uses a credit-based insurance score to help determine your policy costs.
How much is Esurance's cancellation fee?
Esurance's cancellation fee is either 10% of your remaining premium balance or a flat rate of $30 to $50.
Who is the CEO of Esurance?
Jonothan Adkisson is Esurance's CEO.

Is Esurance good?

Esurance is a solid auto coverage option if you're looking for a straight-to-the-point, affordable insurance policy that you can manage easily online. You can visit its website to see if you qualify for its services.

Esurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was hit by someone who said they were insured with them. I set up an appointment for the repairs. I needed to get a rental for the the time I would not have a car. I called Deon ** and left FIVE messages over two weeks. No response. I eventually got through their maze of options on the phone. You get the feeling it is intentional so that you don’t get a hold of anyone. Ultimately I got ahold of someone who told me that the individual in question had allowed his insurance to lapse during that time so my claim was being denied. I was told I would get an email saying that. That was 24 hours ago. Still no email stating that. If I ever decided to switch my insurance, then I would not go with them. How long does it take to send an email? Is Deon that overworked? If so, then hire some more people.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

A driver with Esurance coverage hit my daughter's car. The other driver was at fault per the police report. Months later they still haven't paid the claim. We called the representative in Phoenix and the phone line was not operating. We called the general number for the Phoenix office and they could not help us. Because they could not connect us to the specific claims representative. It's not a large claim and they are not paying in a timely manner. I should not have to wait like this.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I have been with the Esurance for approximately 8 years - which means I have paid a lot of money into this company. I have full coverage on my newer vehicle and my daughter has liability on hers because her car is old with a very low value; so full coverage is not needed. My daughter's car was hit in a store parking lot last month by another vehicle. We immediately filed a claim with Esurance. Even with video proof showing that the other driver was 100% responsible for the accident, Esurance will not help us go after the other driver's insurance company. This is because my daughter's vehicle only has liability (we were finally told).

What is the sense in paying for car insurance at all? Clearly we are only paying for her liability insurance to satisfy our state law of needing to have it. I have been hit two different times in the past (I wasn't at fault either times), when we were still using Progressive (one of those times I only had liability myself) and Progressive got my car fixed immediately and even offered checks as an alternative; I was able to choose. I realize that Esurance is a humongous company where business is business and it's all about money, but I still feel like a fool and let down for paying so much money into this company for them to not have my back.

The other issue was that I was assigned a claims representative who ended up going on vacation and didn't pass on my claim. Then the second person that had my claim went on vacation and also left my claim with no one to pick it up where she left off. When you try to get a hold of anyone working on your claim, they do not answer the phone and only have an outgoing message, of which you are not able to leave a message on. In more words or less, you can't get a hold of a real person to discuss your claim.

I had been waiting a very long time and very patient in finding out what kind of help Esurance was going to offer us (as paying customers) only to find out that they will be doing nothing because my daughter doesn't have full coverage. The video proof was very difficult to obtain and I was led to believe (by Esurance) that it would be a great help, also only to find out (much later) that Esurance will not help. In fact, I think that they had me go on that quest to obtain the video just to kill time for them not tending to my claim.

-I waited for nearly a month, with a car that cannot be used until it's fixed because it's unsafe.
    -I was tossed around by multiple claims representatives.
    -I was unable to get a hold of an actual person (until I had to play detective and go on a mission to find someone to talk to).
    -I was talked into (by the supervisor of the insurance claims department - who in itself was a part-time job trying to track down) to do some footwork such as getting the video and etc (essentially do their job).

-I was led to believe that everything would work out in our favor because the other driver was 100% at fault.

Now we have to go to court with our video because somebody has to be held responsible for the damages to my daughter's car. Esurance did not do their job and we paying customers are not getting provided with the service that we believe we are paying for. I'm going back to Progressive. My sincere advice: Reconsider doing business with Esurance.

I used to always talk so very highly of Esurance when discussing car insurance with family and friends. I have even convinced a couple of people to switch to Esurance in the past, sadly. I haven't had ANY problems with Esurance... until I needed them the most, so I know that they can be very deceiving until then. Other insurance companies, like Progressive, can be a little bit more pricier than Esurance but, from my experience now, it's worth it to pay more because at least you know that in the end, those pricier insurance companies have your back. And that's what we're going to do. Go back to Progressive. *Please note that my daughter and myself have never caused a car accident since we've been with Esurance (ever actually, in our driving history).

Original review: July 8, 2021

By far the WORST customer service I have ever had. I tried using their "Insta chat" while I was on hold. I received a response that the claims representative would reach out to me in one business day, when I asked for a supervisor I was told to continue to hold on the current phone call. When a person is on site at a rental location, one business day is not an acceptable response. When requesting a supervisor, being told to continue to wait on hold is also not acceptable. I am not exaggerating when I say I was there nearly 3 hours trying to get a hold of somebody from Esurance in order to rectify an issue that should have been taken care of along with the damage claims.

The only individual that I was able to actually speak to was a customer service agent from the sales side of the company. Understandably she was unable to actually assist me, but she provided me a number to the ‘rapid’ response team and transferred me to that number. No one ever picked up. I’ve worked in customer service most of my professional career, it takes a great deal for me to be this upset. My interactions with Esurance today is the very definition of lack of professionalism and customer service. Ultimately I had to pay out of pocket and hope that they reimburse me. Note: at the time of this review I have still not been able to get a hold of anyone to speak to regarding this claim.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I was involved in a hit and run on 2-10. I the adjuster with no response. I even emailed and called his supervisor. No luck with that either. This is unacceptable and no good paying customer should be treated this way. I'm not happy at all. I need transportation.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

If I could give this company 0 stars I would!!! This is my awful experience with Esurance!! I would like to express my dissatisfaction with your company, and claims rep Destiny **!!! I first filed my claim of Dec 10, after that I spoke with Destiny about 3 times, until my claim was escalated into a fraud claim which was totally ridiculous!! In that time without exaggeration I had left at least 25 to 30 emails, and about 40 calls!!! With Destiny ** totally ignoring me and not returning any of my calls or emails!!! She should be ashamed of herself by the way she does her job and represents your company!!!! By, blowing me off, making me feel frustrated, very angry, and deserted!!

I will be leaving negative feedback and forwarding this email, and my dissatisfaction for Destiny **, on every feedback site I can!!! I'm dropping Esurance. In the 28 years I've been driving and had auto insurance I have never been treated and ignored this bad!! Last week finally, Pete **, released my claim, after speaking with him, it took Destiny ** 3 days to call me back, only to leave me a voice mail. Since last week I've called about 6 times, and email her at least 4 times!!!! To guess what? No response!!!!

She should be ashamed of herself and the way she so called does her job!!!! I know this is not the way you're supposed to be treated and through the years have dealt with Progressive and Geico, with excellent claims representative, always making me feel welcome and assisting me any way they could!! The total opposite of Destiny **!!!! She is shameful and sucks at her job!!!!

John **.

Claim # **.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Esurance is a horrible insurance company. I have an open claim from August 2020 that still has not been resolved, their gap insurance only covers 25% which was not disclosed to me during my purchase. Apparently my original claims adjuster no longer works for the company however I was never assigned a new one and was not aware that she left the company until December 2020. No one ever reached out to me, my vehicle was falsely declared a total loss because they are too cheap to get it repaired.

I was told in October 2020 I constantly reached out to them and was told numerous times that I would receive a call back in 1 business day. It took them today 1/25/2021 to actually get in contact with me. I am still without a vehicle 'til this day, I have racked up thousands of dollars of rental car bills. They were not helpful at all, no one ever answers the phone or has an answer for anything. I will never do business with them again, I do not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I cancelled my insurance on my due date and they still took money out of my account 11 days later. Esurance is overpriced! The customer service is very poor! Be very careful doing business with this ABUSIVE outfit!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

Jennifer ** incorrectly reported my accident as my fault. She did not pick up her phone and gave me a disconnected phone number. They messed up my life by never getting any proof of an accident being my fault. They would not talk to me and ignore my emails and phone calls. You will need an attorney to get justice from Esurance! Esurance is a scam, they don't care if they incorrectly report an accident as your fault because they want to increase your car insurance costs to make more money! Stay way!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I love our Esurance car insurance! My husband and I had Allstate for many, many years. The premiums kept going up and up every 6 month renewal even though we never made an insurance claim. So, I shopped around and found Esurance. Thank goodness I did! I got to customize our policy to meet our needs and I saved so much money. Policy premium is Half of what we used to pay! Paying online is easy, and if you pay 7 days before due date, you even save the $3.00 installment fee. We haven't had to make a claim yet, so I don't know about their handling of claims as of yet.

Esurance Company Information