Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
2.39/5

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

BOTTOM LINE

Backed by AllState and serving 43 states, Esurance is one of the first companies to offer insurance directly to customers online or on the phone. Customers are attracted to the ease of getting quotes and managing their accounts online with a suite of interactive tools and mobile apps.

PROS

• Offers coverage for damages not caused by an accident, such as fire and vandalism
  • Provides SR-22 for drivers with high-risk insurance policies
  • Carries attractive coverages and discounts
  • Standout mobile apps include CoverageMyWay, DriveSense, RepairView Program
  • Backed by financially strong AllState

CONS

• Prices relatively higher than competitors
  • No agents to contact

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

985 Esurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

I intentionally canceled my homeowner's insurance policy due to an oversight. Engaged with Esurance's Customer Care team within two weeks to reactive the policy. Esurance increased the premium by over $400. After multiple discussions with Customer Care's management team they were able to lower the rate but still had to pay additional $250. I have been a long-term customer for their auto and homeowners policy and it is very unfortunate they increased the premium by $250. Emailed the Care department to give them an opportunity to adjust the rates prior to posting a negative review. It's been more than 5 business days and still have not heard from them. Care team has an SLA of 24 hours, their response is long overdue. My intentions are to continue writing reviews on other social media sites until I hear back from Esurance.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was involved in an accident where another driver struck my vehicle last May 2018. We got out, swapped insurance info and she took off. I called the police, but decided that the damage to my vehicle was easily fixed and decided against filing a report and a claim. I would just fix it myself. The police officer said I couldn't prove who the other driver was or even that it was their car so this seemed like the best course of action. I got a call the next week that the other driver filed against me saying that I hit them. I submitted photos I had taken of my vehicle where clearly I was struck. There was no police report, nothing to prove that I had ever even met this person.

My claim was mysteriously closed shortly after. Case closed... until I got my renewal letter and my rates more than doubled!! I called customer service to ask why and they looked into it and agreed that I shouldn't have been at fault for that accident. Of course, try and get ahold of my claims adjuster via phone or email and you can't!! I finally called a supervisor because they were going to auto-draft my payment soon. Magically my claims adjuster was on the phone with me saying they ruled against me - without proof!! I asked why I wasn't notified and she said, "I'm sorry you're unsatisfied with our communication." And HUNG UP ON ME!! Now I have an accident and my rates are ludicrous but nobody else will cover me without high rates too because it's on my record. I wish I could leave them, but now I'm stuck!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have had this insurance for over 5 years, no accidents, no tickets, nothing. Insurance keeps going up and up and up. Then I go to add a new driver, and I can't get a decent quote from them. When I finally do, I'm told my insurance is going to go up by $288 a month! Yes, the driver is a new driver, but he is 21 (not 16). But wait, I'm told that my next bill (which was in 6 days) was going to be the same as it has been because it is too late to change it, so the following billing will be going up by $576! Then 2 days later I'm notified that my next payment (now in 4 days) will be going up by $600! I don't have that kind of money laying around! When I called in, I was put on hold for 15 minutes. I'm over them, and will be cancelling my policy as soon as possible.

Original review: March 30, 2019

ON my lunch break on March 08, 2019 I went to Costco to get fuel because I had to make a trip immediately after work and was low on gas. At the Costco fuel island, the traffic is all one way. All the pumps were occupied, so I put my vehicle in line and waited. To expedite things, I had already popped my fuel lid. When the two vehicles in front of me left the pump, I pulled up to the first pump, put my vehicle in park, turned it off and got out. Stop to door opening time took maybe a minute. When I opened my door... WHAM! A lady passing between the fuel lanes struck my door. At first I thought she was going to drive away and I took out my phone and started taking pictures of her vehicle. She noticed and pulled over. I asked where she came from, because she was not getting fuel at one of the other pumps. She stated she saw me park and waited for me, but then decided I was going to take a long time.

What? I could not have parked and exited much faster! Anyway, she asked if I wanted to settle with cash or use insurance. Indicating to me that she planned on accusing me of causing the collision. When I called eSurance to report the accident, she had long called them and filed a claim. I had checked with Costco to see if they had video of the fuel island. They said they did, but could not release it without a court order. I stated this to eSurance, and they stated they could get the video. I asked that they let me know where this lady came from and if she was driving at a safe speed.

eSurance said to go ahead and take my vehicle to the collision center for estimates. It was a lot worse than I thought. There was damage to the roof, sunroof, frame, the whole driver's door had to be replaced. Then I get an email from eSurance saying they have paid the claimant. I forwarded the email to the claims adjuster and inquired why the other party was being paid for damages. He did not respond. I called the claims number. I was told the claims adjuster was not available all week. Another claims adjuster said the claim stated that I said I caused the collision. That is a lie!

They said, "we have a recording of you saying so." I said that is a lie! Let's listen to the whole recording together. She said that when I park, I have a responsibility to make sure the area is clear before I open my door. I responded that I had, I again repeated that I don't know where the lady came from. I asked, what about the other party's responsibility? The lady said she would have a senior adjuster review the claim. Later I get a voicemail stating the claim was reviewed and their position has not changed. If anyone has any suggestions for an external resource investigate eSurance in Texas, I would like to know references. Thanks!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Just on the phone with a representative by the name of Derek **. I was trying to get a quote for auto and homeowners insurance. I was asked how many people would move in and I explained it would be six (me, my husband, and four children I stated). He then asked if I had any dogs, animals, or wild exotic animals. I stated no. His reply in mid of my reply was "well besides your kids." I was in shock but tried not to let it get to me and just chuckled it off. This man knew we were ** being we live in Detroit and by my voice. Either way to reference a customer's children as wild exotic animals is absurd.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was looking for the most economic auto insurance. Esurance looked good for the initial quote but after one month the cost went up. I had added my 16 yr old who is an A student and has no accidents or tickets. It went up by $125 per month. I went to cancel and found out the cancellation fee is $195. For one month of auto insurance, it will cost me $695. I am still going to cancel as I would never stay with a company like this. I was previously paying $325/month for the same thing with another auto insurance. Beware!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Rear ended by Esurance driver on 3/22/2019. Esurance totaled car. Received 85% payment from them on 3/7/2019. On 3/14/2019 was told that remainder of payment was being processed but could be two weeks or longer. On 3/15/2019 was told that rental car was due back today. Told Esurance we needed rental car to get to/from work/school until we can replace damaged vehicle - cannot replace damaged vehicle until we get 100% of money - which could be two or more weeks. Said we do not have funds to rent car for two or more weeks while Esurance drags their feet on this.

Told by Esurance adjuster: "Your financial situation is not my problem". Asked adjuster why we have to pay out of our pocket when we did nothing wrong - their driver was at fault. Was told Esurance company policy was to provide rental car for two days, three at the most and that we should be thanking him for letting us have the car for three weeks. Given supervisor's name and number. Called several times. Will not return calls. Contacted my agent at Farmers and was told that normal business practice by insurance companies, including Farmers, is to provide rental car until 100% of money is delivered to the accident victim.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Expensive and the worst customer service ever. Calling someone and getting service is like bothering someone that hates working. If you enjoy paying for a service that is nonexistent and want to throw money away. This is the company for you! Switched insurance company eventually and still am dealing with an open claim 4 months later.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Provided all information during the quoting process. After I agreed to the policy they raised the premium $400! The reasons they gave was for information already provided during the quoting process. Over a month now and I still have not received a direct answer. They will go around in circles with you but never actually answer your concerns. I even have an email that states, “I know this is not the answer you were hoping for nor is this the answer we like to give”.

Is this a joke? I just want an answer to the question I am asking: Why was information provided during the quoting process used later to increase the premium? Not the answer they would like to give? And what answer would that be? What does that even mean? Is there an answer but they don’t want to give it? I have received conflicting information throughout the process as well. Your emails are never answered by the same person and sometimes even feel automated. Total disaster. If this is how they handle a new policy process I’m and terrified to see how they handle a claim.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My 6 month policy auto renewed a month early and over $1000 was taken from my bank. Called customer service to cancel the renewal for a refund and was told it would take 48 hrs to refund the money. Three days later I called to see what was going on and was told that my bank has to verify the payment. Called the bank and was told that the payment cleared. Called Esurance again and was told that it could take 7 to 10 days now. I asked to speak to a supervisor (was actually helpful) and we both three-way called the bank for verification. That went well and the next step was to have billing process the refund. Later told that a manager has to sign off on it first because the refund was so high. Holy hell what a PITA. They will immediately take $ out of my account without notice but make me wait several days to get it back. That kind of money can break your budget so it would be nice to give a little notice in advance.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was with Esurance for several years. I don't have any accident until Jan 2019. That is when the nightmare started. I called claim department 3 times, nobody pick up the call and get disconnected automatically. Then I called the customer service and ask for anyone to help me with my claims. Then I was told nobody is there. She does not know why. What is funny now is that, she just hang up my call. Then I try to call back and wait about for 30 mins, nobody take my call. This is all about their customer service. Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!!

Original review: March 2, 2019

They could not explain why my rate went up by $68 out of the blue. They kept telling me, "We're an online company and we send out emails." That's it. No logic, no rhyme or reason. I scoured through two months of emails to find nothing from them. They couldn't even explain the charge. Basically just told me if I was charged that amount, it must be right. Well, it's been two days with an overdrawn account, so no groceries or gas this week. It's such a shame that policies like this have become the status quo. Just milking their own customers for no apparent reason other than greed. I opened a claim with my bank, but that could take a week. Until then, cautiously hoping to find a provider with some kind of ethics. Ha, good luck, right?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Esurance is the worst company I had to deal with. Got hit by a teenager insured by this company and my nightmare started. They are the worst, made my life miserable for two months. I wish I could write all the time I spent on the phone with them going back and forth, emails, etc, they always pushing to get my car totaled, gave me a terrible offer, I lost a ton of money with them. I wish I could have the time to fight them but they know that you are a victim and you are having a bad time so they use that in the negotiation. I wish you never have to deal with this company.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This is a company with Luddites. All customer service are clueless about tech and they claim to be E Commerce. The main app redirects to Safari browser. I had issues from empty pages to inability to view PDF files. Then there’s DriveSense. I installed this in my Android phone. I wanted the discount. It does not record my trips even though it states it’s in progress. Call anyone for IT assistance and you can’t get them. I think they purposely break things to keep jobs. After reporting website issues the next day it said “bugs are fixed”. Not. Not looking for discounts and want to work with Luddites? Go ahead. I’m afraid of issues on claims! I’m moving on.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The price is great: I used to be with Nationwide with an traditional agent. I switched to Esurance and saved 30%. After I switched I totaled my car and had small water damage in my basement due to water heater failure. For both claims I dealt with the insurance adjusters and both were reasonable, punctual and efficient. They are using efficiencies and technology such as video claims, etc. They save money by not having a brick and mortar traditional agent, adjusters that have to come to your house, etc and pass on the savings. I recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

When I went to purchase the insurance, the price was 8% higher than the quote page. I spoke with an Esurance agent who said that we had a claim on our record. Per his suggestion, I provided a NO FAULT letter from my current insurer which raised my rate another 6%. The agent told me that it would be cheaper to keep this accident on my record and he didn't understand why? How can anyone do business with a company like this? What a waste of my time!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I tried to get a quote from Esurance. They kept taking me back to the same screen over and over. I never did get a quote even though I answered all the questions. I'll just stick with my current insurance company now that I've heard so many negative things about Esurance. I'm glad I didn't give them my phone number. I've heard they call you relentlessly!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Great company as far as pricing even with a somewhat bad record, and only takes about a half hour to get your car enrolled. After that, however, the customer service pretty much stops. Unless you're late I am assuming, then I am sure they will hit you up. If you get full coverage I am sure they will take care of you, because that is when they care, but if you are going for part coverage like I did, I wish you luck.

I was hit by an irresponsible driver with part coverage and Esurance didn't help me do anything really. My "agent" took the claim then didn't answer calls or emails for weeks, until I wrote in to complain at which point a manager called once, only to never return any calls back. I never did get a single ounce of help with them for the accident. I had to do all the back and forth with the insurance and figure things out for myself. The other insurance company helped me more than Esurance ever did. Because of all this...it's been a month and a half and this is still not over. Esurance sucks...worst customer service in history. I'm going to dump them as soon as I can find another company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We were loyal auto insurance customers with Esurance for 6 years. Our policy was canceled because the card they charged for renewal had a new expiration date. We corrected that issue within 48 hours. Esurance made us start a brand new policy and charged $400 more on our premium. We renewed but shopped and found a better rate with GEICO. When we called Esurance back the next day to cancel, they kept $200 of our $600 deposit. No respect for loyalty!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I insured my home and three cars with this company Esurance. I got home proof of insurance too. A few days later I called to make a correction to the name of the city in my address. I was informed that since they do not insure more than 4 attached townhomes, my insurance is cancelled! They pretty much said their so called "Trained Staff" made a mistake. Of course half an hour later I bought insurance somewhere else. I do not know how I had at least 3 other insurance companies last 8 years I owned my house. Be very cautious with this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I was really happy about choosing Esurance. Until, I moved. My payment went up by $70. I asked why they said "Would thieves steal from the bad neighboorhood you used to live with or the nice one you live in now." And later in the conversation..."If you have a crappy car and you get into an accident in your new neighboorhood - you're not going to be hitting another crappy car - you're going to be hitting a nice car and we have to account for that." Really? I was so offended I didn't even know how to respond. I understand that they may have to raise it by something but $70 is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We were struck from behind while stopped because of a traffic jam on the interstate on Thanksgiving Day. After over 2 weeks, the Esurance adjuster, Mason **, says cannot determine liability because no one from his company was there when the accident occurred. He also told me if I didn't like the way he was handling the claim, I "could file with my own carrier". When I explained I would have to pay my deductible if I filed with them, he said he "didn't tell me to get a high deductible policy and that wasn't my problem". He also told me he "had no obligation to talk to me" because he had handled the claim. This is my only experience with Esurance, and it has been terrible.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Was not told about $50 cancelation fee and was treated very poorly by customer service reps when trying to cancel. I was even hung up on during the call!! I would not recommend this auto insurance to anyone. I was a loyal customer for several years and they increased my rates for no reason.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I have been an Esurance customer since 2016. In November 2018 Esurance did not direct debit my monthly payment from my bank account. I called to inquire about this and was told on November 19th that the payment was scheduled to be deducted from my account that day. Two days later I received an email notice saying that my insurance has been cancelled! I call Esurance about this and it turns out they were trying to take the money from a different credit card which had been used previously to make a "one-time only" payment.

The customer service rep even read to me that it was noted in their system that was to be used for a one-time-only payment! I questioned why no-one read that and why they didn't use the default credit card that was on file and had been being used for years to pay the monthly premiums. Needless to say, the customer service rep said she would reinstate the insurance dating it back to November 19th. That way it would show the insurance coverage as uninterrupted. Esurance notified the State of Illinois that my policy was cancelled. No one took the time to notify the State of Illinois that the policy was not cancelled.

On November 30th I call Esurance again when I found out this information about the state of Illinois, and asked why the state had not been notified that my insurance was in fact and effect. The woman on the phone, named Carol, took a considerable amount of time investigating what went on with my policy. Carol said she needed more time to investigate the situation and said that she would call me back because it would take more time for her investigation. She also said if she didn't call me back that day she would call me the next, day which was Saturday December 1st. I have not heard anything back from that person. Esurance bumbled my insurance and they sent out some incorrect information to the state of Illinois along with an incorrect form, which will cause me trouble with the State of Illinois if it is not corrected! I'm really considering dropping this company as my auto insurer.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Their customer service is terrible...it was fast and easy to sign up. Later they did auto pay without my knowledge and when I called in because they were about to cancel my policy I got the runaround. The hold times are ridiculous and 3 of the 4 people I talked to were argumentative for no reason. Just a bad experience. I regret going with them.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

DO NOT GET INSURANCE THROUGH THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE GIVEN FALSE INFORMATION. Call them multiple time and have months wasted with money lost and no resolution. I finally cancelled my policy after months of going back and forth with this company. I have called them every single month since July to change a card number on file and to NO avail was it removed. I was continually told they took it off yet they IN FACT DID NOT. Causing my account to go into the negative and charge a fee of $34 to my account for them charging my account and not having the available funds.

Today I was told basically, "Too bad." I’m not getting refunded for the fees. Well their loss is greater than mine I guess because they have completely lost a customer! I held multiple policies with them on multiple vehicles & drivers. They do not value customers nor care about customers cancelling because without issue they cancelled right away and did not even try to retain my business. That alone speaks for itself. Worst customer experience ever. Goodbye for good Esurance, I advise you proceed with caution. There are MUCH BETTER companies out there!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I recently sign up for Esurance. The very first month, they took a monthly payment from my checking account. Left me in a negative balance and a insufficient funds fee. I NEVER signed up for automatic pay... I told them I wanted this paid back including the insufficient funds fee. Haven't heard a word... This act left me in a very dangerous situation as I had lifesaving meds to buy. Now I can't get my meds. Beware of this company... Sneaky.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I got into a car wreck that wasn’t our fault. Esurance took forever to even get back to us. After a week they sent the medical paper to get checked out. Now it has been 8 days since I lost my car due to being totaled. Now we have to wait 7-10 more business days to get a check in the mail. I can’t believe a online insurance company can’t even direct deposit the money. Don’t use this company if you have only one vehicle. You will be stuck riding the bus.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I've been an Esurance customer for years now. I have a 2015 Mustang GT which was hit while parked. An estimate was initially given and a check was sent to the dealership for repairs. Once the dealership took the car apart they found additional damage. They issued a supplement to Esurance FOUR times and no response from Esurance at all. So my car has been sitting there for 2 months! No return calls from Esurance to myself or the dealership. My policy is still current and active. STAY AWAY FROM ESURANCE.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I've had Esurance for a few years now. About a year ago, I got rear ended by someone with no insurance. Esurance was so easy to work with and really helped me out. Sometimes the phone hold times were pretty long but once I got someone on the phone, they always answered my questions and provided a lot of reassurance since I was so worried that the other person had no insurance. They got my car repaired quickly without any problems. It's a good policy for the price I pay. I'd recommend them to friends and I'm happy to continue having them as my auto insurance provider, too.

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky