Call toll free*
Call toll free
3.50/5
Based on 183 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

925 Esurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

Terrible service on when you actually have the nerve to file a claim! The adjusters low-ball everything. Trying to cut corners and hopefully find the repairs less than your deductible. I experienced a hate crime of graffiti and vandalism to both my automobile and house while I was sleeping. It was very frightening and you would have thought my property claims representatives would have been more empathetic, but no.

Christopher **, for my home, kept insisting on a recorded statement (3 days after I filed the claim) once he found out the police were involved. Even after I had already emailed him photos and a police report with my statement. Treating me like some criminal. Then the adjuster came out and wrote a repair estimate that was so low and left off damage needing to be repaired. When I spoke with Christopher about it he stated they were closing the claim. No ifs or buts about it then hung up on me. Did I mention my home was built in 1915 with its original windows?

Now Jamie **, for my auto, I think is 25 going on 2. She actually stopped me when I asked her a question and said, "I have a dog that hasn't been out all day! I have to go!". Hmmmm, sounds like a true professional working on my claim. It took 3 days and 3 missed appointments to get my car towed to the auto garage. I had to go ahead of my representative to get this handled. My adjuster also low-balled this claim and thank God the auto shop did a good job of reviewing my car. The actual cost to repair my car went from $2700 to $5700. This is the first claim I have ever filed with my insurance company for auto and home EVER. Not too happy so far with Esurance.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Attempted to buy new auto insurance at a lower rate from Esurance. Paid their fee of $270.11. Never activated my insurance. Asked for refund but they said they insured me for a 1 month period but never let me know they were insuring me as there was no paper trail as I had continuously checked. They said that $270.11 was for insuring me for 1 month not the start of the 6 month premium. Lies. No evidence or email sent that I had insurance rather they were requesting further information of my daughters' records. I wasn't insuring my daughters; they already have their own insurance. WTH!!! Stay away from these CRIMINALS PLEASE!!!

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I'm sure the only reason anyone has this poor excuse for an insurance is because of their prices. But when it comes to handling their insurers' poor judgment and false claims, they're sure good at that. I was turned into and hit on my driver side by the boyfriend of one of their insurers on 2/25/18. So long story short, my 3 month old car was damaged at the hands of their insurer's boyfriend when I was already going through a GREEN LIGHT and they decided that they would turn into me when their lane was a straight ONLY. Stupidity at its finest.

And Esurance isn't any better. :) From the get go, I had a terrible experience with the insurance adjuster on my claim, LaToya **. She only called me ONCE to talk about the accident and get my information. I had to go get my own estimate and send her the information. After that, I never heard from her again. She decided to take her insurer's side when her and her boyfriend's statements clearly contradicted themselves because they were LYING. Their insurer says she was driving at the time, when it was clearly her boyfriend who hit me and he is not on her policy AT ALL. LaToya never asked about the children that were in the car with me or asked to get my fiance's statement. After her shady, poor and unprofessional behavior, my insurance, Progressive, had to take my claim into their own hands. Even then, my claims adjuster through my insurance even had a hard time getting through to LaToya because she never answers her phone or gets back to you.

Because they decided to believe their insurer's lies, my car is still damaged due to my insurance, not being able to get any kind of payment through them because they refuse. Someone really needs to look into this faulty and shady business, because clearly these claims adjusters do not care to do their job properly or about the TRUTH. They don't care that their careless insurers damage other people's property or about paying them back when they are clearly at fault. END ESURANCE!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Ridiculous premiums. I got into an accident last year, which hiked my auto insurance rate with them. My vehicle was parked and powered off when I was backed into, and no claim was filed with my insurance company — everything was filed on the other driver’s end. I tried escalating the issue to explain my situation and allow them to remedy my problem. After being asked to provide a “claims letter of experience”, I provided a letter documenting what happened when I got into the accident. After looking over my report, I was still told that although I wasn’t at fault (and PARKED!), my premium was still affected. I will be switching insurance companies after this pay period is up. I can say that customer service was great, but the policy they have in place just doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s a shame that I will be leaving.

Original review: May 19, 2018

When looking for my home insurance policy I got some reasonable rates quoted by Esurance, but when trying to dig into these a bit more I hit a wall. It was hard enough to get someone to explain the "Welcome Home discount" (10% for the first year, 5% for the second year), but when trying to understand other discounts, like the "advance purchase" or "New Home" discounts that would apply to the policy, no customer service representative could give me any idea of what these were. They just said they would expire after 2 or 5 years. They could see the total amount of the discounts applied, but not a breakdown - anywhere in the system. So, after 2 years, do premiums go up by $50 or $500? Who knows! Not Esurance or its reps.

And when I was still interested in purchasing a policy, their system wouldn't allow me to access my previous quotes because of an error in their system. Now, this likely happened because I tried to get comparison quotes on nearby properties and demystify some of these discounts, but Esurance could do absolutely nothing to unlock my previous quote or even let me start over using their online quote tool. I literally could not request an insurance quote for the address of my new house because something retained in their system was corrupted or invalid. And after going through the painstaking process of getting a quote with an agent over the phone, the price jumped significantly with identical coverage (even slightly lower dwelling coverage on the agent quote). They could tell me over the phone that all of the details were the same, as they could view the settings for my now-lost original quote. Nobody could explain the price difference to me.

The new quoted price was still okay, but I ended up walking away because I was seriously concerned by this company not seeming to understand its own pricing or technology. I literally wrote to customer support begging them to just let me give them my money; nobody could help me or make an effort to escalate the complaint to someone who could. This was an incredibly frustrating experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: May 18, 2018

Though I am not an Esurance customer, I unfortunately was hit by a driver with their coverage. To put it simply, it was a nightmare dealing with this company. They refused to authorize OEM parts (despite my request in advance) and instead insisted that recycled/salvage/aftermarket parts were all they would pay for. Despite my vehicle being in excellent condition prior to being hit (which was not my fault) the use of poor quality, non-OEM lead to poor fitting parts and cosmetic defects. I would highly recommend you find an alternative if you are considering using this insurance company!! While you may see savings on your premiums, as the old saying goes “you get what you pay for”. Esurance is an inferior provider who will take any shortcut possible to save a buck at your expense.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Purchasing a policy was easy since it was all done online. Filling out the application was a breeze and the process went fairly quickly. The cost was more than I wanted, however it was cheaper than most other insurance companies. I can also access and download my insurance cards or get a copy of my policy or any other documents I need. With the app I can also take photos of my car and report a claim. Make it easier to contact an actual human being though. Sometimes one just needs to talk to a person. Also as with any insurance, I don't like the cost of the insurance premiums, but since it's required, I don't have much of a choice!

Original review: May 16, 2018

Prices are comparable to others and I like to shop around for the best prices and best coverages for my money. The best thing I have ever invested money into on a policy is roadside assistance. However, the down payments and renewals can be quite pricey. Still, I haven't had any problems with any of the insurances that I have had. My overall experience with all of them have been very pleasant. The purchasing process is usually pretty simple.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Purchasing thru Esurance was simple and fast. The site made it easy to find the coverage I was looking for. I like that I didn't need to speak with a salesperson and I was able to do everything online myself. They made the entire process simple and I was able to print out my insurance card immediately. They also supplied a digital copy so I could have it on my phone at all times. The only thing I didn't like was the extra monthly service charge.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My daughter was stopped at a left turn only lane. The only signal that prompts you to move is a protected green arrow (which lasts for over 17 seconds when cars are detected by the motion sensor) and if you don’t go - traffic behind you will honk. An oncoming car ran the red light and totaled the car. The other driver was nervous and seemed to be on drugs. A witness stated that he saw the red light runners’ light, after he watched the very visual accident. With the witness’ statement Esurance took 70% fault & states that my daughters (both saw the light & they were at the front of the line) “don’t recall” what part of the light sequence it was. I think my girls are smart enough to remember what happened a minute before they were almost killed by this lady. ESURANCE IS A MONEY MAKER. They are not there to support you even if the facts outweigh fiction.

I have installed dash cams on mine and my mother’s vehicles because if I can be accused to be at fault when the only light you can get is a green protected arrow, think about how they will treat you! I have hired an attorney since the truth doesn’t make any difference to this company. Join a smaller company that wants to satisfy their customers. ESURANCE SUCKS... ESURANCE DOESN'T HAVE YOUR BACK... ESURANCE IS THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER! The good reviews for this company are about the price... Price doesn’t really matter when you have to hire an attorney to get to the truth. Read their reviews about claims if you really want to know how this company works.

Original review: May 15, 2018

It was very easy to call and set up a policy. The person helping me was very polite and helpful. I needed to call back about a month later and add on Renters Insurance and it was quick and easy. It is easy to pay my bill online as well. The customer service is excellent too. I also like that I can download an app to my phone that has my insurance cards and payment history on it. They also have a DriveSafe feature that I enjoy using as well. But I wish I were able to save more money on my car insurance than I am with this company. I'm only saving about ten dollars a month now compared to what I was paying before. However, I think that all car insurance can be expensive depending on what you are getting and what features you are adding to your plan.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Buying the insurance was easy and fully automated online. I completed the process in a short amount of time from home without having to wait on hold on the phone. I also appreciated seeing everything written out, instead of a person just talking at me. I like the Esurance smartphone app on my Android because I can access my ID card and call for assistance without looking up numbers. In addition, customer service representatives have been very helpful and supportive with claims, both on the phone and via email. However, I think my rate is too high, but maybe I'm unrealistic about what rates are, especially for electric vehicles. My insurance doubled when I got an electric car, and now it is over $2000 a year, even though I'm a good driver with a very safe car.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My credit's poor & they accepted me. The quotes they shown were side by side like 180.00 dollars and 228.00 dollars which made it easier to choose which one I wanted. I didn't like the auto-pay feature because sometimes it take 2 payments at once which was upsetting and made me short which put me behind on my power and light bill, and the insurance company act like they didn't care and stated that this happened because I was three days late on my payment and as long as I pay and make sure it reaches them. They have cheap rates and affordable discounts for car & apartment. I would recommend Esurance to family, friends and co-workers with poor credit like mine's to give them a try.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This company was easy to sign up for. It is super quick to get a quote and the quote is what I ended up paying so it did not change in price. I like that you can sign up online and that everything can be handled without having to call and wait on hold forever. This company was overall a good company, but they should have more associates that can help when you need to speak to a human being. They could break away from Allstate and just be their own company. I am not a fan of Allstate and would not ever use Allstate ever again. They are owned by Allstate and I had a very bad customer service experience with them so I choose not to do business with Allstate or anyone associated with them.

Original review: May 14, 2018

The price was great for the policy. I had no trouble speaking with an agent over the phone. I liked the fact that you can do things online. I also liked the fact that you can speak with an agent 24/7. Very helpful and kind people I've experienced with Esurance. Processing the insurance was easy to do over the phone. I also liked the fact that I can use the website or call customer service to speak about any issues I may have now or in the future. I get that everything is just about paperless but it would still be nice to receive some things through regular mail instead of only email. For instance, it would be nice to receive your entire policy via regular mail with FAQs and everything that is covered in your policy on paper instead of just email and then having to print it out or go to the website.

There could have been a more detailed explanation of some of the benefits that a consumer wouldn't necessarily think of when purchasing insurance. The agents left some services out that I would have liked to know if I was covered for or not and I did not have the knowledge on hand to think of some of these services. It's important to disclose everything because I am not the type of person who likes to not be prepared for things that may happen and then not knowing if I am covered for certain services or not.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I liked that Esurance was quickly obtainable. When I went online to seek out auto insurance, I had a quick application process and could print out a card to carry in my car right then as proof of being insured. Everything was done from my home computer. It was straightforward and fast getting approved. A simple questionnaire gathered my information. But I did not like that Esurance was more expensive than some other options. However, I was limited to those insurance companies that would insure me since there was a lapse in coverage. The overall experience was great.

Original review: May 13, 2018

It is least expensive for the coverage level I need. It is very easy to pay policy, and I do not need anything on me as it has electronic proofs. The quote tools almost always make me call someone. I would prefer that the quote tools just let me fill out all the info that the person I waited 20 mins to talk to is filling out. But I've been very satisfied, I did not look for a new policy when it expired, I just renewed. Renewal is very easy. I have also checked into how claims work, and they video chat so if I ever need a claim that seems very easy and fast.

Original review: May 13, 2018

It was easy to find the policy I wanted and easy to pay and get on the road as soon as possible, the people on the phone were also very nice and were willing to help me with everything I needed and even help me find a cheaper price through them. I like that it is mostly digital and can do most things online and if you need too they have a number to talk to a real person. If you need more help doing things like changing the policy or coverage, the website was also very easy to use and navigate. They should have a office though where people can sit and talk face-to-face and discuss what they are having issues with because sometimes it's easier and more human to talk to a real person, rather than a pre recorded tape, they also should make better commercials, they can always make full coverage more affordable, and have better roadside assistance.

Original review: May 13, 2018

My experience with Esurance agents has always been pleasant. Getting correct coverage was as easy as a phone call. Having an established email made it simple. I also like the availability of policy, cards, edits, etc. online. I was able to access my new policy, including any changes, within literally hours of contacting the customer service agent. They were polite, understanding, and efficient in processing my request for both initial coverage and any changes I made at a later date. My proof of insurance cards were available online within minutes, and I could access them with my smartphone. Perfect! I also enjoyed the prices being a first-time customer a year ago, but renewal prices are usually double the normal monthly rate, and creep up with every renewal. The coverage is required in my state but I'm seriously considering switching companies to save money.

Original review: May 12, 2018

It was easy to start up, customer service was awesome and very helpful. I was able to go online. Fill out all information requested and print off proofs immediately. Convenience of that was super nice and easy process. I was walked right through step by step. However, there was no local office to stop into. My monthly bill was average too. I found a company that provided coverage for less. For people unable to print would be nice for them to send a copy out as well that way everyone has a paper copy. I switch companies and they sent a check right away. They were very understanding.

Original review: May 12, 2018

It was very easy to purchase my policy. I went online, put in all the driver information on the vehicle information, selected the coverage I wanted and purchase my policy and was set up in a short time. I liked that they were an online company and it was very easy to access their services. Also great customer service when I needed to call. Lynn was able to access my policy anytime I needed easily and even though it was all online I still felt I was getting good coverage. I would like to see them have a brick-and-mortar office where if you did have a big issue if you would be able to go in and speak to somebody face-to-face and feel maybe a little more connected.

Original review: May 12, 2018

We chose and have stayed with them because they work well for us. They have low prices, decent coverage, good towing options, and an excellent response time when I/we have been stranded due to snow storms and blown tires. However, I wish it was a bit more personal, not being 109% online, that kind of concerns you when you are in need in the dead of night, though they have pulled through for us every time we are in need. We have no plans to change. We love Esurance.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Price quotes were cheaper and easier to get and I could get life insurance quote at the same time and homeowners also are different and less than most. A lot of the other insurance companies with multi insurance program usages and real easy to use and understand and other companies have not tried to call me back. They called me back and that helped verify everything and was convenient. I can talk to an agent easily & find out any information at any time I needed out all about anything. I can make changes very fast.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Car insurance is too high in Florida, but we have to have it. I was shopping for the best price and coverage combination options and I actually just changed companies. Esurance's website is user friendly, easy to get quotes and purchase policies. Also, the rates were the best for my family. Pretty good overall but I wish Esurance would keep the rates low at renewal instead of raising them every time. It's annoying for rates to keep going up with no claims. I can understand raising rates due to claims, but keep the price the same for families who don't cost the company anything. And that's why I changed companies the last time.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Overall, Esurance is a great auto insurance company. We purchased our premium over the phone and the customer representative was very helpful and answered all of our questions. Esurance gives us a choice to have our insurance cards emailed to us or they can send them through the mail without us having to come to the office. I like that we can pay our premium for up to six months. I dislike that the company increased the cost of its premiums without us knowing until renewing our policy and that the policies are very expensive after the second vehicle. I hope that the cost decrease by the time it is to renew the policy again.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The website is very easy to use and understand, and get the right coverage options along with good customer service from all the reps we have spoken with. Questions are answered quickly by the reps. It is Very easy to enroll through the web, select the proper coverage levels and have the ability to maintain electronic cards. It has been discouraging though that the rates have been increasing each year regardless of claim experience. There are also too many emails for advertisement.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I like that you can purchase insurance through Esurance online even if you're a first time customer. As soon as you get a quote that you like, you can purchase it immediately and your insurance documents are sent right to your email. They also have a easily accessible app that downloads right to your phone. The app is very smooth to navigate through. But the rates were very high if you were coming to them after having a lapsed coverage from somewhere else. Though that's partially my fault, I still feel it's super high regardless. The overall experience with Esurance was very good. Especially if you need insurance on a ASAP basis. It eliminates long quote phone calls or boring meetings with other insurance reps.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I liked that it was easy to buy online and I didn't have to speak with a human. I hate talking to people on the phone so this was great for me. It was simple but not worth it. They're too expensive and have been charging me for a useless rental policy for too long but I can't fix it. They changed my policy without contacting me or letting me know in any way until I needed proof of the policy's coverage. THEN they finally told me they no longer actually covered my rental unit which is what I was paying for the coverage for! But every time I try cancel it, I can't get the website to work.

Original review: May 9, 2018

They make the purchasing process easy. Payments are automatically retracted from bank account and claims process is relatively painless. I always receive email notification of upcoming payments and policy changes. I am able to access my insurance cards online as well as other important documents. I like the automatic deduction for Payment. Automatically lower my rates upon renewal of contact. Email notifications about policy changes or payments due. Claims prices is relatively painless. I wish initially the rates were lower. However, they do evaluate upon contract renewal and reduce payments. I would like the claim process to be faster. However, at times I believe that is out of the insurance company's hands.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I like that Esurance is very convenient. It was quick and easy to set up and they gave me a great rate after my insurance had lapsed with a different company. I was given multiple options and able to customize my plan to fit my needs and budget. I was in a bind and needed reasonable coverage quickly. Being able to make policy changes online is wonderful as well as being reminded about payment due dates and being able to select when payments are due. Customer service representatives are always pleasant and very knowledgeable if I do need to contact someone. I also like the printable insurance cards and hassle free. Esurance allowed me to handle my business as needed. I have always received great customer service and the online aspect is simple and easy to use. Overall I recommend Esurance. Great company to work with.

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky