3.2/5 (3059 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Esurance

Esurance is an online insurance provider that’s part of the Allstate family. It offers auto, motorcycle, homeowners and renters insurance, and it was one of the first businesses to sell insurance online. Esurance gives free online quotes and has an easy-to-use mobile app, and its Coverage Counselor helps find the right coverage for your needs and budget. It also offers discounts for policy bundles.

Pros

• Easy-to-use website
  • Coverage calculator
  • Bundle discounts

Cons

• Few customization options
  • Fairly high prices

Bottom Line

Esurance is an insurance provider ideal for tech-savvy drivers who want to bundle their coverages. It offers basic, transparent policies without many customization options.

Top Esurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

It was very easy to call and set up a policy. The person helping me was very polite and helpful… I also like that I can download an app to my phone that has my insurance cards and...

Verified

It was very easy to purchase my policy. I went online, put in all the driver information on the vehicle information, selected the coverage I wanted and purchase my policy and was ...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

What is Esurance?

Esurance is an online insurance company owned by Allstate that's known for offering affordable insurance bundles. It was one of the first companies to sell insurance online, and its easy-to-use website simplifies the online quote process. Esurance offers auto, homeowners, renters and motorcycle insurance, as well as discounts for combined coverage. It's available for auto insurance in 43 states.

How does Esurance work?

To sign up for Esurance, enter your information on its website, then you’ll receive a cost estimate before you sign up. The company offers all the necessary auto coverages, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist, comprehensive, medical payments and personal injury protection. It also has a few additional options, like roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement.

Esurance has a mobile app that lets you send photos of damages for a claim rather than waiting for an appraiser.

Esurance quotes and rates

Esurance costs vary depending on insurance type, whether or not it's bundled, and the details of your situation and needs. Typically, a 30-year-old can expect to pay $235 a month for auto insurance. Esurance provides several discounts and also offers DriveSense, which monitors your driving habits and can earn you further price cuts.

Esurance FAQ

Are Esurance and Allstate the same company?
Allstate owns Esurance.
Does Esurance check credit?
Yes, Esurance uses a credit-based insurance score to help determine your policy costs.
How much is Esurance's cancellation fee?
Esurance's cancellation fee is either 10% of your remaining premium balance or a flat rate of $30 to $50.
Who is the CEO of Esurance?
Jonothan Adkisson is Esurance's CEO.

Is Esurance good?

Esurance is a solid auto coverage option if you're looking for a straight-to-the-point, affordable insurance policy that you can manage easily online. You can visit its website to see if you qualify for its services.

Esurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

I had an auto accident on 6/2/2022 and have not had my claim fulfilled and today's date is 8/17/2022. To start, It took 6 weeks for me to hear ANYTHING from the claims adjuster, and to this day, she has never kept me in the loop with any of the details regarding my claim. She called me the first day I made a formal complaint to Esurance (about her not responding to my calls and emails for 6 weeks) and she has not returned my phone calls or emails since. Initially, my elusive adjuster (the one and only time we spoke) stated that an appraiser could not be scheduled, so I just need to send her pics of the damage. The next day I am contacted by the supervisor who tells me my quote should be ready within 1-2 days. I was confused because I was told they needed my pics, which I had not sent yet, but apparently, they already had them.

Another week passes and I eventually contact the supervisor again who informs me that someone else (not the adjuster) is working on it and not accepting the quote that was delivered by the auto repair shop. Once again I'm told reassurances, and that they just need some answers from the shop and this should be handled in a few days tops. The shop owner sends what they requested and of course, I hear nothing again. I contact the Esurance supervisor again, and it appears there's an issue, but no real answer as to what it is. Therefore, he concludes I do in fact need an appraiser.

Last week (8/12) I was finally scheduled for an appraiser who contacted me when he was "at the shop" on 8/15 but he actually DID NOT ever go. The next day, on 8/16, I spoke to Esurance customer service who instructed me to write an email to customer feedback and stated they should get back to me within 24 hours and I was assured (as usual) that they were taking this very seriously and want to resolve my issue. Well, ANOTHER 24-hour period has passed and NOTHING. No phone calls, no emails. It is UNACCEPTABLE to be treated with so much disdain and disrespect, especially when you pay monthly for a contracted service.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Esurance is now considered a rip off company...We have been with them for 18 years and for the first 15 yrs NEVER has my insurance increased UNTIL 2020. These CEO are out of California...Hmmmm. We have to leave them now because of ALL the claims and reviews I have researched they have NOT paid customers. At this point any company will do. Esurance will go down as the worse company soon. They have no.

This company has NO excuse on premium cost...They make a lot of money. For yrs I have paid $1,400.00 a yr. No tickets, No claims since 2010 and it was not my fault, I was in another vehicle who did not carry enough insurance. Now it is time to move on. I am tired of them ripping us off. They have increased our policy by $80.00...and...We do not drive anywhere, we are seniors and we have not had any tickets or claims and we carry a credit score of 825...Why would they increase? NO reason other than "Because they can" GREED!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I filed a claim with ESURANCE July 16. I spoke with MCELRATH ** on July18. I asked her to send the assignment to the body shop the same day. Now it’s July 28 still no answer from her or supervisor HAMMOND **. Worst experience ever. 0 contact from them and the accident not even my fault. Where the Courtesy for People property who pay insurance every month. This don’t align with ESURANCE policy. I will be contacting its Pennsylvania insurance department.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Esurance is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. The adjuster on my claim, TOMMIE **, has ignored repeated request to call me to handle my claim. Esurance doesn’t seem to know what supervisors are on the job, or on extended leave and not monitoring their messages. Esurance keeps connecting me to Nicole **, who is on extended leave. They have no one monitoring the calls and messages for the employees who make themselves unavailable or are not at work, on vacation or somehow not there to supervise. Their voice system is like being in the 7th ring of hell.

If all you want is an insurance card to prove you have coverage Esurance is the place to go. If you want an insurer that actually provides the coverage stay away from Esurance. I have provided names of the people who aren’t doing their jobs so Esurance will know who they are. Don’t harass them. Just know to avoid them if Esurance wants to assign them to your claim. I can’t provide all the names but at least 10 different people have done a crappy job of getting this going. I only want a phone call so I get things moving. The problem is really Esurance as a company. They take your money and that’s all. I called Esurance 20 times (exact count). I called Tommie ** at least 8 times & left messages which were not returned. Got transferred to non-working telephone 5 times.

Original review: July 10, 2022

0 Stars. I had Esurance for years for coverage on my car. They been fine until you need to file a claim on your car and they are nowhere to be found. My car was vandalized 2 weeks ago. Nothing major just a mirror. I opened a claim thru their claims department and a representative contacted me 2 days later and that was the last I heard from them. Another email thru their terrible messaging system (not even email) and I have gotten nothing except crickets since. I have sent message after message inquiring about the status of my claim, updates but they do not even have the common customer service skills on getting back to you.

I sent emails to the claims representatives' supervisor and also called and left messages with 0 responses. Today I checked on their system and my claim is listed as closed. Unbelievable. You close my claim and my car has not even been fixed? CONSUMERS, please look elsewhere for coverage. They state they have the best rates because they are internet based but you can't even get a human person on the phone. Their rates are also very high compared to Geico or Progressive.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I filed a Claim with Esurance on May 9th. I still haven't heard from the Adjuster -- I've left messages on her VM and her Supervisor's Voice mail - send E-mails. No one RETURNS the Calls or Emails -- MY CAR NEEDS To BE REPAIRED -- adjuster's name is Meagan ** and her supervisor is Hayley **-- I've also been on hold for an HOUR.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I canceled my insurance with them because I got a better price. They still billed me the following month. I called again that month..they canceled my insurance and issued me a refund. Two months later I get a text from collections that I still owe them money. I call Esurance, talk to a supervisor, she adds everything up and says I owe $42. Hour on the phone. So just to get it off collections, I paid that amount. Brandy, the Supervisor, said it was paid in full. Today I get an email stating I owe another $51. I call them again tell them the story, they said they could only take off another 21 dollars and that they would have Brandy call me. This was another hour on the phone. Then Brandy sent me a message stating yes I still owe this amount. I regret ever doing business with this company and suggest no one else do business with them.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Esurance are thieves. They took money from me without my authorization even after my policy was canceled. 0 out of 10 company. They refuse to give my money back. They are thieves. They refuse to listen and hear you out and when you ask for a corporate number they give you the run around.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I work with insurance companies frequently as a motor vehicle dealership and financier, and have never had such a horrible experience as the one we are currently locked in with Esurance. A finance customer of ours wrecked their vehicle in late November 2021. The customer had full coverage insurance and loan/lease coverage. The vehicle was immediately towed to our property, and esurance was notified promptly of the location of and sustained damages to the vehicle, along with our daily storage fee. We obtained a third-party repair estimate as soon as possible, which clearly evidenced that the cost for repairs far exceeded the current value of the vehicle (total loss). This should have been an extremely simple claim, for which the process with any other insurance company may have taken a few weeks at most.

The agent we were initially in contact with, Ryan **, was virtually impossible to reach and almost never responded to our communication attempts. Copart calls our office daily inquiring about release of the vehicle; they have been ready to pick it up as a total loss since December 2021. It is now February 2022, and we are still attempting to get paid for this vehicle. It has been sitting on our lot accruing storage fees of $40/day which esurance is now omitting from payment documents. I'm losing confidence daily that they will be able to redeem themselves, causing me to no longer allow our finance customers to obtain insurance through them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I contacted Esurance to get my declarations page and what do I know, I get like a best friend out of the call. Darnay was the nicest person in customer service that I've spoke to! She could relate to life experiences and made life a little better today!

Esurance Company Information