1.50/5
Based on 59 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from all 26 of their insurance partners in 2 minutes.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 13, 2018

775 Esurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Esurance are rip offs. They do not tell you that they pull the next due payment from your account 30 full days before it is due. I had them take me off of autopay. It totally caused me to overdraft on my checking account. I then began to get late payment notices and cancellation notices with one full month of coverage prior to expiration! They are full of it, stay away... stay away!!! To renew after (their) renewal date was an additional 15.00. (for real!!) I had one month of full coverage remaining!!! Rip offs!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I signed up for Esurance because of their ads. I'm not sure if theirs was the lowest quote at the time, but I signed up because of their claims of a simple sign-up and claims process. Someone ran me off the road a few months later, and the claims process initially seemed simple. They accepted the claim. Eventually it was a total loss. It would have been nice to have been notified sooner, so I could remove that car from the policy.

It took well over 6 months to see any money on my claim. They don't tell you up-front, on their site, or in any documentation all the information you need to submit for a claim. They kept coming back for more documentation or changing what information they wanted. It took forever to finally get them all the information, which I could have had prepared if they gave me all the information upfront. They paid me about 90% of the claim, then I had to submit a couple documents to get the rest. That's time I had to schedule away from work or go get paperwork signed and notarized. I ended up getting another car before I got any claim money from them.

Then I was constantly charged late fees because I asked for my billing date to be changed, but all they did was postpone it each month. Sometimes their system doesn't update. I add a card. I get confirmation it's added. Then somehow the previous card still ends up getting charged, and they say the old one is the only one they have on file.

About a year after this claim a guy stops in front of me, and I barely bump him, but he wants to file a claim. Esurance pays out practically nothing to fix a little paint chip, but they try to double my rates which are already too high for me having no issues on my driving record outside of that no-fault accident. Of course I'm listed as at fault because they try to call me for like 2 days, and I can't respond due to being at work, so they just decide to go ahead and pay his claim. I was planning to change companies once I got all my claim money, but this accident happened. So, not only are their rates higher, it's affecting me getting a decent quote from anyone else.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

They will jump at showing you their enthusiasm to help you when you need to file a claim but I am in week 8 and still getting the runaround. They won't return phone calls to include their management. I have filed complaints with them and still nothing as their willingness to help their customer that pays for a service. I have homeowners and car insurance with them. After this experience with their lack of commitment to honor their contract I would rather pay a higher price for a service that will be there when I need them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

My car was hit in the back by a Esurance client. I filed a claim with them. The adjuster called my insurance to verify my coverage at which time my insurance wanted to file a claim. She said Esurance had it so they didn’t. I took my car to the estimate appointment. Told them the damage. They sent a quote that didn’t cover all the damage (the front wheel and maybe axle damage). She said leave my car with Gerber collision. They’ll do a supplement and she will approve it. They did the back bodywork but nothing to the front. Called me. Said my car was done. Got there and was told they don’t do mechanical work.

They sublease but S. ** the adjuster said she didn’t think the damage happen during the wreck and declined to even have it checked out. I was forced to pick up my unfixed car from Gerber who said this is what they were told to fix and it’s finished. The person who told me about the sublease decline was the estimator herself who said she didn’t understand the stands because you need to check before you mark off any problem. Also when I returned the rental I was told I was responsible for part of the bill. I called the adjuster who hung up in my face.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I ordered Esurance online. When I created a policy I put the wrong zip in the form, I paid for policy and thought I was good. Not even a week later I caught the incorrect zip and contacted them to update the policy. They ran the numbers and it twice as much per month and wanted twice as much down. I told them that I was online trying to navigate this and they can see the mistake I made and silly me, I thought they would be understanding but NOPE - I have to pay $50 to cancel. They do not make the cancellation policy easy to see when signing up, otherwise I would have called in.

That's just bad business and there is no legitimate reason to penalize me. True supreme customer service would have saved the day and made it right... Not here.

Moral of story - Stay away from this organization. If you value honesty and good customer service. If you decide to go with them; READ everything. Do not buy online if there are any doubts on what you're ordering because as you see, they will gouge you $50 of your hard earned money just because they can.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I had my policy with Esurance for 6 months. My payment was $182 a month. When I added my son as a driver in November the payment went up to $254 a month. My term was up in December and I was due for renewal in January. Instead of just charging me the $254 they tried to tell me that the $565 charge that they put on my debit card was because I have to pay 30 days in advance which I did in the very beginning of the policy and have never missed a payment. It totally screwed up my entire account. Customer service was so nonchalant and could have cared less. She still could not explain to me how I have to pay another 30 days in advance. This same exact thing happened to a friend of mine's brother where just out of nowhere when the policy renewed the price was doubled. I highly suggest searching for another Insurance Company. They really don't care.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I was involved in a minor incident that was caused by poor visibility because of snow. The fault was ascribed to me 100% and the surcharge will remain for 5 years amounting to thousands of dollars added to my premium. The adjusters have no incentive to do anything other than to nail the insured to raise income for the company. I have since changed to Geico but the surcharge remains! The system is flawed!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Opened an insurance policy with Esurance and got an email 2 days later saying that they noticed I had moved out of state and would need to update the information on my policy. I had not moved anywhere, what happened is that my policy was opened in California rather than Oregon. I have never lived in California. I applied for this insurance policy with an OR driver's license, a truck registered in OR, financed through an OR credit union and a home address located in OR.

After speaking to them about this problem they quoted me literally twice as much as the policy I originally signed up for. I went to cancel my policy and they tried to charge me a cancellation fee which I managed to get waived but was then billed for the 4 days I spent driving my truck around on and INVALID insurance policy. I spoke to a supervisor after cancelling who was completely unapologetic and didn't seem at all surprised that this had happened. At the end of the conversation he blamed google for the mishap... Poor customer service would be an understatement. This is not a trustworthy insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I put in a claim for damages to my car due to falling objects, hail. I live placed the claim when I had a chance to take care of it as I had so many things happening the past couple of months. They are dragging this asking for my phone records and other documents that they have in their possession. The claims rep was very rude to myself and to the auto body shop I took the car to. They sent someone to appraise the damages and told me they will be sending someone else to look at it because they don't find that the appraiser they sent had an accurate account of the damages.

My car is still in the shop wait to get a call back saying they can return to repairing my car. I called the rep back to see when they are sending someone else and she told me they weren't. She made it sound as we have never had this conversation before. I called and emailed her manager and no answers from anyone! Terrible service, they make it seem like you are doing them favors and they are not working for you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My daughter was hit by a man who failed to stop at a stop sign. Shauna **, a claims representative, called repeatedly over the course of a week to talk to my daughter and inquire about her injuries. She was clearly trying to determine if we were going to sue. Then, barely a week after we spoke to the representative, we received a letter denying the claim and saying that the policy was not in force at the time of loss. Why would a representative go to so much trouble to check on a claim for someone who didn't have insurance with them? And if he even might not be covered, why did the representative not tell us immediately?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

To start with I was hit from behind by one of their customers in a line of 20 cars sitting traffic. He somehow managed to get up enough speed to total out both my truck and his car. They accepted fault immediately so good for them, now I'm fighting for the value of my truck that I just purchased 2 months ago. It is used but still, I looked for 6 months to find what I wanted. It is highly optioned for the year and model. Now my own insurance company was no help. That's a whole other story for another time but they said my truck was only worth 7100 so I did not accept that and moved to Esurance who could not believe I did take the money. So I was asked to send them the info on the truck so I sent them the original window sticker. Plus the other aftermarket things that Steyr could plainly see on it. They came back with an offer of 7258 still not what I paid. They said I had no other choice but to take it. There is no more they can do.

They also told me they "KNOW IT SUCKS, TO LOSE MONEY ON IT" but it's not their fault I overpaid for the truck. Which the truck was 8900 I talked them down to 8000 plus tax and all. Knowing this and only wanting to be made whole again I wanted more. It's not my fault I was hit. So I even said, "Give me the 7258 and the truck back." But they said no. The salvage would cost me almost 700. So as of then I didn't know I had other options. I've never done this before. I had them send me the check. Have not cashed it. They then later sent me the list of trucks they comped mine to so they could get the value. The 1st wasn't even the same. It was a year different which makes it another generation entirely plus double the miles. The 2nd was the same with double the miles, a smaller engine and half the options and then the last was my truck. They literally compared my truck to my truck.

The program searched for comparisons and found the original ad for my truck VIN and all with the price of 8900. They then did "their" math and came to the conclusion that the comp version of my truck was worth 8089. And they only listed the options that were on the listing so far less than what it really Has so it is actually a low value. Granted it has 1500 miles more but to lose out almost a thousand dollars. And I repeat these are the same VIN numbers and they are saying they are worth different amounts completely. Sorry for the long post. So much for me overpaying for the truck. I actually paid less than they said it was worth. Oh and if you go on the Web page it says ACV. In their eyes means market price or original purchase minus depreciation. But she said on the phone is they are not responsible to pay what I paid for it only what they think it's worth in the market.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

2.5 hours later and they finally found a service location that would come and change our spare tire. To change a tire. I called their 888 number first, and roadside assistance could did not have anyone in the area. They called the nearest place and said my car was too far for them to come. They transferred me over to Esurance and said they’d be able to help better than roadside assistance could. I get transferred and go through the motions of explaining who, what, where, how... My info is taken down and they said they’d TRY and locate someone to come and change the spare and let me know. 20 mins. goes by and no status update.

I call back and get someone different this time, of course. They checked their back end and said the notes the previous rep took and added in my files were awful and they’d switch me to their tire service. They’re finally able to help and said a driver would be there in 40-50 mins.! An hour later, 2 thugs arrive and grab the spare from the car. The spare has no air. Their compressor doesn’t work. Time to take an Uber home. I will be doing this myself. And also switching providers tomorrow. I’ve had it! You should be embarrassed!! I’m embarrassed for you!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I am very disappointed in the customer service I received from Esurance. I had been a customer with them for three years. I had cancelled my policy since I was not driving my vehicle, and wanted to re-open my policy. Since I had disclosed the information to them that I may be moving to Illinois in the next few months, even though I am still a California resident, they refused to give me a policy in California. I needed to be insured in California in order to re-new my registration. They told me to go find a new insurance company. Again, I am very disappointed and will never use Esurance again, nor will I ever recommend them as an insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I recently got hit in my rear passenger side so hard that it cause my tire to shift towards the left. The claims people were very rude and belittling. They sent me to American Automotive that fixed my entire car including damages not related to the accident just so they can charge me my deductible... Later my car was making a weird noise so I took it back and they said I would have to make a new claim because my muffler had been shifted to the left but they don't think it happened when my tired was got and shifted to the left and that I would have to pay another deductible. They are horrible fraudulent people and I still can't get a hold of the manager, Dylan ** is heartless and could care less about your car or you as a person for that matter.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Auto insurance experience. The claims adjuster DOES NOT PAY even when you have a ton of evidence that they should. Irresponsible case review system. Tons of hassle, wasted time and money. Choose another insurer.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I decided to do an online quote for auto and motorcycle insurance, to say their quote is a joke would be an understatement. The auto is 3 times more than I pay now and the best is 17,** for the motorcycle. Oh wait after the discounts the motorcycle would be 8,804.00 a year. The sad thing is I'm over 40 and have a completely clean driving record.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

After I got in a car crash, Esurance was super easy to work with. They were easy to bill and took care of my PIP. They gave me a fair estimate to get my car fixed. They were also easy to get in touch with–I had my insurance handler's email and phone number and could call anytime.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I wasn't getting any spam until I requested an online quote. I'm very protective of my personal e-mail address and wasn't getting spam until about a week after I requested a quote. Now I'm getting all these garbage e-mails about health, life, and auto insurance. Plus they were about double what a local insurance agent was able to provide me.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

As a recent victim of hurricane Irma here in South Florida, I attempted to access a service offered due to the hardship of the storm. Without power or email at home, I received an email through my phone on Monday reminding me of an automatic payment withdrawal for my monthly premium was coming in a few days. I went online and accessed the "change a payment date" option and selected the offered option for a deferred payment; after the date was selected an immediate message popped up that the date was successfully changed. This morning the originally scheduled debt cleared my bank account and now my hardship has multiplied... The service turned out to be a disservice and has obviously created several other problems as a result.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

In July an accident occurred in Lancaster California. Reported immediately to Esurance. Continually asking for more documents. We have given all required documents still nothing! Management is very unprofessional. They never return calls but every month my bank account is paying insurance!! I don't known where else to go with this terrible situation? I have congestive heart failure. The car is used for doctors, medication, food!! Please help.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I updated my policy 6 months before I had an animal strike, I went to go file a claim and discovered my policy never updated and despite me having a printout their system says it was never done. That's all that matters. My policy has been updated now, but that's only because of the complaints and claim I submitted. No confirmation emails, no letter saying your policy has been updated, even when it was finally "updated properly" so how are we supposed to prove it if your system doesn't work. The deductible was too high for the amount of damage (wouldn't have been if their system worked properly). Now I have to repair all out of pocket!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I moved to a low crime area from a high crime area and they raised my insurance and took a double payment when my husband's insurance went down. Because of our moved they caused me to have overdraft fees and bounced checks. They gave me some lame excuse that my garaging zip code wasn't updated which is bs. That is only if you live in 2 homes so they finally admitted the mistake and said they would credit it on my next contract and I said "I'm not renewing with you please return my over payment" and they still haven't. Now they say it is going under review. It makes no sense. This company is a total rip off. I hope there is a class action law suit. If there is count me in.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I had a newer Ford Taurus totaled and it went like this. Monday taken to body shop via wrecker, Thursday got a call from the shop saying they could repair it. The next week got a call on Tuesday saying it was a total loss. I called the body shop and they said too much involved, was a total. The same week Friday the body shop called and said an adjuster had been by and they are going to repair it. I got a call the next Monday from Esurance saying it was not repairable. I told them the body shop said an adjuster had given to ok to fix it and she said, "ok we'll fix it." I called the shop on Wednesday to find out how long the repairs would take and they said a salvage wrecker picked it up yesterday.

I called Esurance and they said they would try to get the car back from the junk yard and I said, “No! No!” I threatened to take them to court and said they would pay off the car. It took another 3 weeks for my credit union to get a CHECK, what? A paper check in THE MAIL! The people at Esurance had no idea who did what, I got transferred to someone new every time I called. During this mess I called Allstate, (The Parent Co.) and complained. The next time I called about my car the lady gave ME HELL for calling Allstate. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SMALL COMPANY CALLED ESURANCE, they were going out of business and Allstate grabbed them up and call it Insurance Born Online. What crap!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

After making a claim on my vehicle for hitting a deer, (which is covered) still after 4 weeks of waiting still nothing! I would call 3-4 times a day, and finally after 18 days a claims rep calls back, then needing more info, now going on over a month of making my claim and being without a drivable car, I'm still waiting! Worse customer service and worse company ever! Oh but they are right on time to withdraw payment each month! So basically save yourself time, frustration & money and DO NOT buy a policy from Esurance!

Original review: July 30, 2017

It's cheap and that is it. The online login locked me out and is super glitched. Says my email address, birth year, and postal code are not just wrong, they're invalid. Tried different browsers. No 24/7 tech support. No 24/7 phone login. Nothing like that. Meanwhile their phone just hangs up on me over and over again before I finally get the answer that they aren't even open to call on weekends. It also took over 7 emails to get insurance slips that they never sent not once but twice. I actually gave up and drove around with the expired slips the first time because I was so frustrated. Disgusting.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Chose Esurance because their TV ads are extremely persuasive and of course they throw in "backed by Allstate". New coverage beginning 11/1 of last year. Send them the infamous house inspection via pics. They come back and tell me the chimney is missing bricks and must be repaired. This occurred in early December. So I started looking for someone to do the work. Found someone then the weather was bad. No one could get on my roof. Called Esurance which is an ordeal and was told my policy would be cancelled if the work wasn't done by Christmas Day.

Finally spoke with someone who begrudgingly gave me a week extension and the work was done after Christmas. This put a bad taste in my mouth. Canceled both homeowners and auto in order to go with a local agent and Esurance socked me with a $50 cancellation fee for the homeowners. I cannot say it enough, go local. Don't be beguiled by clever advertising. This is a lesson learned for me.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I was in a left turn accident. A vehicle stopped so I could turn. I looked for a while no cars were coming, and as soon as I started to turn I was smashed into. I was ticketed for failure to yield. My car was totaled. And everything that followed was a NIGHTMARE. My insurance company put me in a rental, which was supposed to be for a few days after I agreed to the estimates. They sent out paper work for me to sign. This all seemed well intentioned, until I realized my lien holders had not even been contacted. Once I contacted them, they confirmed my fears. My insurance company was trying to rush through the process and send a check for a BS amount. Now to break it down even further.

My claims rep has gone on vacation twice during this whole process. He cannot be reached by the lien holders, and has not called me in over a month. His answer machine says he will be vacation for another month. I sent a stern email to him and his boss and he called right away. I cannot buy a new car until this account is closed. This account will not be closed until they send off the re-evaluated estimates, the lien holders agree, and they send the other check. My claims rep sent me power of attorney forms weeks ago, and expected me to sign over ownership of my vehicle before seeing the worth of my car. A month has passed and me and my lien holders are waiting on the same document. This has been a nightmare, and in the meantime my lien holders still expect a car note.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Online quote:. $140/month. I waited 5 weeks, then called them to start my new policy. Called them so I can pay and get started. It jumped to 179/month. Huh? We'll, I had to go to my bank, deposit more money. Called them back (20 mins). Now it jumped to $197. WTF!! NO TICKETS. No accidents. Clean drinking record.

Original review: July 21, 2017

This insurance company is bad. First they charge me a lot just to join then after my policy end they want to keep charging me for renewal policy even though they never asked me. Because I already had a new insurance. Then when I call they said I had to pay for cancelling it when the policy was done. This company is a scammers. They want to charge you for new policy and when you don't want to they want to charge you for cancelling a policy you never asked for. Don't ever go to Esurance or Allstate. It's just a scammer's company.

Original review: July 7, 2017

A few weeks ago my husband had an accident with a Esurance customer (fender bender). The Esurance customer hit my husband's car, so they took care of the repairs but my husband lost 3-4 hrs of income between taking the car for estimate then take it to repair then pick it up. Unfortunately he works for commissions so, there is no way to prove how much money he lost during the time that he wasn't at work taking care of the car. When I explained the Esurance representative the situation I told him it's not way that we can prove how much he lost and he just said ok bye and hang up the phone not offering anything to compensate him for his time/money that he lost.

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Esurance Company Information

www.esurance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use