Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
3.12/5

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

BOTTOM LINE

Backed by AllState and serving 43 states, Esurance is one of the first companies to offer insurance directly to customers online or on the phone. Customers are attracted to the ease of getting quotes and managing their accounts online with a suite of interactive tools and mobile apps.

PROS

• Offers coverage for damages not caused by an accident, such as fire and vandalism
  • Provides SR-22 for drivers with high-risk insurance policies
  • Carries attractive coverages and discounts
  • Standout mobile apps include CoverageMyWay, DriveSense, RepairView Program
  • Backed by financially strong AllState

CONS

• Prices relatively higher than competitors
  • No agents to contact

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

1003 Esurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Esurance doesn't use agents, so they save money on employees and office space. I was a bit leary at first, but have made a couple of claims and had no issues. Everything is done online or over the phone and they have the cheapest rates I've found. They are backed by Allstate. Allstate was our previous insurance company, but found that they kept raising rates, even though we didn't make any claims.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The price is great: I used to be with Nationwide with an traditional agent. I switched to Esurance and saved 30%. After I switched I totaled my car and had small water damage in my basement due to water heater failure. For both claims I dealt with the insurance adjusters and both were reasonable, punctual and efficient. They are using efficiencies and technology such as video claims, etc. They save money by not having a brick and mortar traditional agent, adjusters that have to come to your house, etc and pass on the savings. I recommend it.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I've had Esurance for a few years now. About a year ago, I got rear ended by someone with no insurance. Esurance was so easy to work with and really helped me out. Sometimes the phone hold times were pretty long but once I got someone on the phone, they always answered my questions and provided a lot of reassurance since I was so worried that the other person had no insurance. They got my car repaired quickly without any problems. It's a good policy for the price I pay. I'd recommend them to friends and I'm happy to continue having them as my auto insurance provider, too.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

When I was looking for an insurance company I wanted one that I could do most of the paperwork online. I hate having to constantly call someone or be bothered by an agent. I was able to sign up, with a lower rate, with no problems at all in a matter of minutes. Multiple discounts were offered and everything was clearly presented online. Overall an easy and painless process. I have thankfully never had to make a claim so I cannot speak to that department but I would recommend them overall.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Signing up for Esurance is easy. I ended up with them after comparing six different insurers, and their rates came out the lowest based on same level of coverage. Everything can be done online. Their customer service agents are friendly and speak regular English, which is a great plus. The only demerits are that they have no local agents, and they do not offer annual policies (only 6 month).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I am a 39 yr old married male with a perfect driving record. Esurance just quoted me over $8,000 a year for insurance on a 4 door sedan (with a high deductible). Yes, that is correct. This was roughly double the price of the 5 other major insurance providers I obtained quotes for.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Customer service is great. They explain things so it’s easy to understand. The insurance is reasonable and you can talk to a real person 24/7. They tailor your insurance to just what you need or want. They are not pushy.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have a homeowners policy through Esurance. I bought my house in Sept of 2018. In Jan of 2019, my son was attacked by another dog while taking out the trash, and my dog pushed the gate open and bit the other dog. Those people filed a claim against my dog for injuries to their dog. Esurance paid the claim, but then in July of 2019, I get a letter from them stating that they are dropping me, because I had to file that liability claim, regardless of the amount, and regardless of the situation. I was also informed, that if a homeowner has to file a fire liability claim, then they are dropped as well. The service rep told me that I would have been better off if I would have paid the claim myself, and that I should have filed a claim against the other people first. My son wasn’t hurt, so why would I file? I’m not a sue happy person, and was trying to do the right thing. I argued that why should I have insurance, if I get punished for using it?

Now, I have less than a month to find a different policy...which is proving to be extremely difficult because, you guessed it...I now have a claim on my record. I even had one company ask me if I still had my dog? Of course I still have a my 8 yr old Golden Retriever. She was just doing her job. I would have understood if maybe Esurance would have slightly raised my rate, but dropping me altogether? Ridiculous. Now, because of a that stupid claim, my rate quotes from other companies are so damned high that I don’t know what I’m going to do. Thanks Esurance.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I have had them for several years and 3 renewals. Zero accidents or tickets. Zero claims. My payments have been fairly constant over the 3 renewals and no on this one. Had the quote for renewal saying the same rate of $160 per month- then I suddenly got billed at $250 per month with zero explanations. Customer service just gave me BS. NO good reason. In short a 50% increase out of nowhere and zero cause. And this is for a customer who has been a client for about 3 years with zero cause. In fact with zero tickets and zero claims my rate should have gone down. Not a huge 50% increase- about $600 over a six month policy. Quotes from the competition show the rate I was getting. I will drop this ** immediately.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Got a quote online. We included that my wife had a accident 2 years ago. We were totally upfront about our situation. Got a quote for $102.00 per month for both cars. One car PL-PD and the other full coverage. Went to finish the quote and sign up. Surprise! The amount almost doubled to $202.00 per month. That is what we are paying now. Not recommended due to shady sales tactics.

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on-the-go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky