Find the Best Match

FIND MY MATCH
3.40/5
Based on 178 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Esurance

Esurance, backed by AllState, is an online auto insurance provider. It doesn't participate in InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. When you call InsuraMatch, they can give you quotes from their insurance partners in 10 minutes.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

933 Esurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I was a customer with Esurance for over three years and have been driving with no accidents for 11 years. I was expecting my rates to decrease over the years and as I entered my late 20's (lower risk age bracket), but they did not. When I went back to graduate school, the rates were a bit high for me so I found significantly cheaper rates with another provider. I had been quite happy with Esurance so I emailed asking if they could meet the competitor's prices. They refused to do this, so I mentioned I will not be renewing when my policy ends (I still had 4 more months left).

The representative preemptively cancelled my policy on the spot, terminated me as a customer and demanded I pay the remaining balance (4 months!). I tried to explain that I never asked them to terminate me, I simply stated I would not be renewing, and that they had caused a financial hardship for me by mandating I pay immediately. They wouldn't budge. I truly had a good opinion of the company for the majority of my time with them but they have no loyalty to their customers and they have higher than average rates. I unfortunately cannot recommend them to my friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I have had Esurance for a few years, no claims or tickets. My mom bumped the tailgate of a truck in a parking lot, and this doubled my premiums, even though they said if we sent in my mom's declaration page from her insurance, it wouldn't affect my premiums!! Now they said they removed the claims free discount and that's why they doubled my premiums. This after my premiums have been ingesting every 6 months anyways!!! Definitely changing companies, this one is a ripoff.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My husband was driving our vehicle insured with Esurance. He was behind a lady at a yield sign, he watched her begin to pull out and looked to his left to see if he could go. Well she saw an invisible white car speed past that caused her to slam on her brakes and we bumped her. It was such a light tap the only damaged cause was a few scratches on her bumper, but she was panicking and flipping out. Officer came and we told him we never saw this white car but we were at fault anyway.

My auto renewal email came saying my premium went from $190 to $370 because of the accident. I was livid, there was no way I was paying that. They expected me to pay that for 3 years over $6K in extra money due to a few scratches on a car. Went to Progressive. They got me the same coverage for $178, even with the accident and violation on his record. Bye Esurance!

Original review: July 28, 2018

Not an Esurance customer, but was sideswiped by their insured. The Esurance rep called me to take my statement... And then I didn't hear from her for a month. Despite numerous phone calls to her and her supervisor and emails asking for an update on liability. My insurance company found me to be at 0% fault. Then I filed a complaint against Esurance with the California Department of Insurance and sent her an email I had done so. Well guess what people? I finally got a response from her! The claims process is still ongoing, moving into its second month and it is SO PAINFULLY SLOW. But if anyone is struggling to get a response I suggest filing a complaint with your state insurance department and let Esurance know you have done so.

Original review: July 24, 2018

You should be aware- it's easy to get with Esurance online, and easy to pay- however when you actually NEED to use the insurance, Esurance will drag, and drag, and drag with no callbacks to your claim for over 30 days- to the point, you are potentially going to be sued by the other driver. My claim has been open since 5/16. It's 7/24, no resolution- and no callbacks, assistance, answers to emails... Beware, they will take your money and leave you dry for the wolves.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Esurance?

Original review: July 17, 2018

Got into an accident towards the beginning of this year. Some guy turned down a street as I was waiting at the stop sign, and, realizing his truck was too wide with both cars on the street, he decided to slide against my car instead of driving into a ditch in his boss's new work truck. We exchanged information and we were all very civil and kind, and I thought this claim would be open and shut. But oh boy, did the Esurance representatives have something else in mind.

Everything seemed fine at first. They called me and questioned me to get my side of the incident and see if they lined up, and was told to follow up with an estimate, or if I wanted to I could take pictures of the damage. I'd decided I'd definitely wanted to get an estimate from a professional, so I brought it into my local body shop within the week and had an official paper.

This is where it got difficult. My representative started dodging my calls, and would not respond to my voicemails. She said she was out of the office after 4, but I ALWAYS had a hard time getting a hold of her, especially any time in the afternoon. Several times she emailed me asking for the pictures of the car, and when I asked how they could take my estimate from the body shop, got completely ignored and she again told me just to send the pictures of the damage.

Not that they don't do this for a living, but I'd trust a body shop's estimate more than theirs, especially if they're basing their estimate on pictures sent through the app and nothing more. I got a bad feeling about them only wanting to appraise the damage through pictures, so I refused to send them in. Asked again in emails a few more times about what I should do with my estimate and yet again they completely ignored me and told me to send the pictures. When I called them out on not even trying to listen to me and asked if they had even read my email before responding, they just stopped replying.

So I've been sitting around with an open claim for the past 6 months, nothing to show for the accident that was caused by the other guy, no response from my representative, no anything, except anxiety that this thing has been open for so long. I'm just going to take the pictures soon and let them rip me off with what they want to give me for repairs because I don't want this hanging over my head.

The kicker? We both had Esurance, and his representative talked to me more than mine did. His representative was the one that took down my statement and made any attempt to talk to me. But after I gave my statement, I was told everything else would have to go through my representative, who actively ignored everything I said or did. I wonder if they didn't want the settlement to be in the favor of the owner of the truck, since maybe she was a customer for longer, or had a higher premium because the vehicle insured was used as part of a business. I cannot prove this though, maybe it is sheer incompetence. Go with almost any other insurance company. I'm sure the only way you could do any worse is if you signed up for The General or something. But I can't speak from experience, so maybe The General would be better. I'd try it over this place anytime.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was on the Loop 820 in TX, when changing lanes in a very poorly lit part of the highway. There was a black object on the ground. I'm going to guess it was truck tire. It matched the tar on the road and it didn't look raised until I was way too close. I was forced to drive over it causing damage to my wheel well and cracked a hinge on my bumper. Esurance said it was my fault. Like I put black blown out tire in the middle of the road and ran over it purposely. I don't understand why I was paying so much in comprehensive insurance if they were going to process a comprehensive claim as a liability claim. I kept the damage and dealt with it myself. Furthermore, when I didn't renew with Esurance, because I saved $600 for the year with a competing company. They acted rude and upset as if the phone agent owned the company and sarcastically asked me if the competing company considered my credit. I will NEVER USE OR RECOMMEND ESURANCE.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Esurance has rising rates as we get older, although I had no tickets or accidents in over 35 years. If these insurance companies keep rising rates, it would be cheaper to pay the fine. Raising rates after the first year, I believe, is a bait and switch tactic.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Terrible service on when you actually have the nerve to file a claim! The adjusters low-ball everything. Trying to cut corners and hopefully find the repairs less than your deductible. I experienced a hate crime of graffiti and vandalism to both my automobile and house while I was sleeping. It was very frightening and you would have thought my property claims representatives would have been more empathetic, but no.

Christopher **, for my home, kept insisting on a recorded statement (3 days after I filed the claim) once he found out the police were involved. Even after I had already emailed him photos and a police report with my statement. Treating me like some criminal. Then the adjuster came out and wrote a repair estimate that was so low and left off damage needing to be repaired. When I spoke with Christopher about it he stated they were closing the claim. No ifs or buts about it then hung up on me. Did I mention my home was built in 1915 with its original windows?

Now Jamie **, for my auto, I think is 25 going on 2. She actually stopped me when I asked her a question and said, "I have a dog that hasn't been out all day! I have to go!". Hmmmm, sounds like a true professional working on my claim. It took 3 days and 3 missed appointments to get my car towed to the auto garage. I had to go ahead of my representative to get this handled. My adjuster also low-balled this claim and thank God the auto shop did a good job of reviewing my car. The actual cost to repair my car went from $2700 to $5700. This is the first claim I have ever filed with my insurance company for auto and home EVER. Not too happy so far with Esurance.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Attempted to buy new auto insurance at a lower rate from Esurance. Paid their fee of $270.11. Never activated my insurance. Asked for refund but they said they insured me for a 1 month period but never let me know they were insuring me as there was no paper trail as I had continuously checked. They said that $270.11 was for insuring me for 1 month not the start of the 6 month premium. Lies. No evidence or email sent that I had insurance rather they were requesting further information of my daughters' records. I wasn't insuring my daughters; they already have their own insurance. WTH!!! Stay away from these CRIMINALS PLEASE!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I'm sure the only reason anyone has this poor excuse for an insurance is because of their prices. But when it comes to handling their insurers' poor judgment and false claims, they're sure good at that. I was turned into and hit on my driver side by the boyfriend of one of their insurers on 2/25/18. So long story short, my 3 month old car was damaged at the hands of their insurer's boyfriend when I was already going through a GREEN LIGHT and they decided that they would turn into me when their lane was a straight ONLY. Stupidity at its finest.

And Esurance isn't any better. :) From the get go, I had a terrible experience with the insurance adjuster on my claim, LaToya **. She only called me ONCE to talk about the accident and get my information. I had to go get my own estimate and send her the information. After that, I never heard from her again. She decided to take her insurer's side when her and her boyfriend's statements clearly contradicted themselves because they were LYING. Their insurer says she was driving at the time, when it was clearly her boyfriend who hit me and he is not on her policy AT ALL. LaToya never asked about the children that were in the car with me or asked to get my fiance's statement. After her shady, poor and unprofessional behavior, my insurance, Progressive, had to take my claim into their own hands. Even then, my claims adjuster through my insurance even had a hard time getting through to LaToya because she never answers her phone or gets back to you.

Because they decided to believe their insurer's lies, my car is still damaged due to my insurance, not being able to get any kind of payment through them because they refuse. Someone really needs to look into this faulty and shady business, because clearly these claims adjusters do not care to do their job properly or about the TRUTH. They don't care that their careless insurers damage other people's property or about paying them back when they are clearly at fault. END ESURANCE!!

Original review: June 1, 2018

Ridiculous premiums. I got into an accident last year, which hiked my auto insurance rate with them. My vehicle was parked and powered off when I was backed into, and no claim was filed with my insurance company — everything was filed on the other driver’s end. I tried escalating the issue to explain my situation and allow them to remedy my problem. After being asked to provide a “claims letter of experience”, I provided a letter documenting what happened when I got into the accident. After looking over my report, I was still told that although I wasn’t at fault (and PARKED!), my premium was still affected. I will be switching insurance companies after this pay period is up. I can say that customer service was great, but the policy they have in place just doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s a shame that I will be leaving.

Original review: May 19, 2018

When looking for my home insurance policy I got some reasonable rates quoted by Esurance, but when trying to dig into these a bit more I hit a wall. It was hard enough to get someone to explain the "Welcome Home discount" (10% for the first year, 5% for the second year), but when trying to understand other discounts, like the "advance purchase" or "New Home" discounts that would apply to the policy, no customer service representative could give me any idea of what these were. They just said they would expire after 2 or 5 years. They could see the total amount of the discounts applied, but not a breakdown - anywhere in the system. So, after 2 years, do premiums go up by $50 or $500? Who knows! Not Esurance or its reps.

And when I was still interested in purchasing a policy, their system wouldn't allow me to access my previous quotes because of an error in their system. Now, this likely happened because I tried to get comparison quotes on nearby properties and demystify some of these discounts, but Esurance could do absolutely nothing to unlock my previous quote or even let me start over using their online quote tool. I literally could not request an insurance quote for the address of my new house because something retained in their system was corrupted or invalid. And after going through the painstaking process of getting a quote with an agent over the phone, the price jumped significantly with identical coverage (even slightly lower dwelling coverage on the agent quote). They could tell me over the phone that all of the details were the same, as they could view the settings for my now-lost original quote. Nobody could explain the price difference to me.

The new quoted price was still okay, but I ended up walking away because I was seriously concerned by this company not seeming to understand its own pricing or technology. I literally wrote to customer support begging them to just let me give them my money; nobody could help me or make an effort to escalate the complaint to someone who could. This was an incredibly frustrating experience.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Though I am not an Esurance customer, I unfortunately was hit by a driver with their coverage. To put it simply, it was a nightmare dealing with this company. They refused to authorize OEM parts (despite my request in advance) and instead insisted that recycled/salvage/aftermarket parts were all they would pay for. Despite my vehicle being in excellent condition prior to being hit (which was not my fault) the use of poor quality, non-OEM lead to poor fitting parts and cosmetic defects. I would highly recommend you find an alternative if you are considering using this insurance company!! While you may see savings on your premiums, as the old saying goes “you get what you pay for”. Esurance is an inferior provider who will take any shortcut possible to save a buck at your expense.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Purchasing a policy was easy since it was all done online. Filling out the application was a breeze and the process went fairly quickly. The cost was more than I wanted, however it was cheaper than most other insurance companies. I can also access and download my insurance cards or get a copy of my policy or any other documents I need. With the app I can also take photos of my car and report a claim. Make it easier to contact an actual human being though. Sometimes one just needs to talk to a person. Also as with any insurance, I don't like the cost of the insurance premiums, but since it's required, I don't have much of a choice!

Original review: May 16, 2018

Prices are comparable to others and I like to shop around for the best prices and best coverages for my money. The best thing I have ever invested money into on a policy is roadside assistance. However, the down payments and renewals can be quite pricey. Still, I haven't had any problems with any of the insurances that I have had. My overall experience with all of them have been very pleasant. The purchasing process is usually pretty simple.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Purchasing thru Esurance was simple and fast. The site made it easy to find the coverage I was looking for. I like that I didn't need to speak with a salesperson and I was able to do everything online myself. They made the entire process simple and I was able to print out my insurance card immediately. They also supplied a digital copy so I could have it on my phone at all times. The only thing I didn't like was the extra monthly service charge.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My daughter was stopped at a left turn only lane. The only signal that prompts you to move is a protected green arrow (which lasts for over 17 seconds when cars are detected by the motion sensor) and if you don’t go - traffic behind you will honk. An oncoming car ran the red light and totaled the car. The other driver was nervous and seemed to be on drugs. A witness stated that he saw the red light runners’ light, after he watched the very visual accident. With the witness’ statement Esurance took 70% fault & states that my daughters (both saw the light & they were at the front of the line) “don’t recall” what part of the light sequence it was. I think my girls are smart enough to remember what happened a minute before they were almost killed by this lady. ESURANCE IS A MONEY MAKER. They are not there to support you even if the facts outweigh fiction.

I have installed dash cams on mine and my mother’s vehicles because if I can be accused to be at fault when the only light you can get is a green protected arrow, think about how they will treat you! I have hired an attorney since the truth doesn’t make any difference to this company. Join a smaller company that wants to satisfy their customers. ESURANCE SUCKS... ESURANCE DOESN'T HAVE YOUR BACK... ESURANCE IS THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER! The good reviews for this company are about the price... Price doesn’t really matter when you have to hire an attorney to get to the truth. Read their reviews about claims if you really want to know how this company works.

Original review: May 15, 2018

It was very easy to call and set up a policy. The person helping me was very polite and helpful. I needed to call back about a month later and add on Renters Insurance and it was quick and easy. It is easy to pay my bill online as well. The customer service is excellent too. I also like that I can download an app to my phone that has my insurance cards and payment history on it. They also have a DriveSafe feature that I enjoy using as well. But I wish I were able to save more money on my car insurance than I am with this company. I'm only saving about ten dollars a month now compared to what I was paying before. However, I think that all car insurance can be expensive depending on what you are getting and what features you are adding to your plan.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Buying the insurance was easy and fully automated online. I completed the process in a short amount of time from home without having to wait on hold on the phone. I also appreciated seeing everything written out, instead of a person just talking at me. I like the Esurance smartphone app on my Android because I can access my ID card and call for assistance without looking up numbers. In addition, customer service representatives have been very helpful and supportive with claims, both on the phone and via email. However, I think my rate is too high, but maybe I'm unrealistic about what rates are, especially for electric vehicles. My insurance doubled when I got an electric car, and now it is over $2000 a year, even though I'm a good driver with a very safe car.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My credit's poor & they accepted me. The quotes they shown were side by side like 180.00 dollars and 228.00 dollars which made it easier to choose which one I wanted. I didn't like the auto-pay feature because sometimes it take 2 payments at once which was upsetting and made me short which put me behind on my power and light bill, and the insurance company act like they didn't care and stated that this happened because I was three days late on my payment and as long as I pay and make sure it reaches them. They have cheap rates and affordable discounts for car & apartment. I would recommend Esurance to family, friends and co-workers with poor credit like mine's to give them a try.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This company was easy to sign up for. It is super quick to get a quote and the quote is what I ended up paying so it did not change in price. I like that you can sign up online and that everything can be handled without having to call and wait on hold forever. This company was overall a good company, but they should have more associates that can help when you need to speak to a human being. They could break away from Allstate and just be their own company. I am not a fan of Allstate and would not ever use Allstate ever again. They are owned by Allstate and I had a very bad customer service experience with them so I choose not to do business with Allstate or anyone associated with them.

Original review: May 14, 2018

The price was great for the policy. I had no trouble speaking with an agent over the phone. I liked the fact that you can do things online. I also liked the fact that you can speak with an agent 24/7. Very helpful and kind people I've experienced with Esurance. Processing the insurance was easy to do over the phone. I also liked the fact that I can use the website or call customer service to speak about any issues I may have now or in the future. I get that everything is just about paperless but it would still be nice to receive some things through regular mail instead of only email. For instance, it would be nice to receive your entire policy via regular mail with FAQs and everything that is covered in your policy on paper instead of just email and then having to print it out or go to the website.

There could have been a more detailed explanation of some of the benefits that a consumer wouldn't necessarily think of when purchasing insurance. The agents left some services out that I would have liked to know if I was covered for or not and I did not have the knowledge on hand to think of some of these services. It's important to disclose everything because I am not the type of person who likes to not be prepared for things that may happen and then not knowing if I am covered for certain services or not.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I liked that Esurance was quickly obtainable. When I went online to seek out auto insurance, I had a quick application process and could print out a card to carry in my car right then as proof of being insured. Everything was done from my home computer. It was straightforward and fast getting approved. A simple questionnaire gathered my information. But I did not like that Esurance was more expensive than some other options. However, I was limited to those insurance companies that would insure me since there was a lapse in coverage. The overall experience was great.

Original review: May 13, 2018

It is least expensive for the coverage level I need. It is very easy to pay policy, and I do not need anything on me as it has electronic proofs. The quote tools almost always make me call someone. I would prefer that the quote tools just let me fill out all the info that the person I waited 20 mins to talk to is filling out. But I've been very satisfied, I did not look for a new policy when it expired, I just renewed. Renewal is very easy. I have also checked into how claims work, and they video chat so if I ever need a claim that seems very easy and fast.

Original review: May 13, 2018

It was easy to find the policy I wanted and easy to pay and get on the road as soon as possible, the people on the phone were also very nice and were willing to help me with everything I needed and even help me find a cheaper price through them. I like that it is mostly digital and can do most things online and if you need too they have a number to talk to a real person. If you need more help doing things like changing the policy or coverage, the website was also very easy to use and navigate. They should have a office though where people can sit and talk face-to-face and discuss what they are having issues with because sometimes it's easier and more human to talk to a real person, rather than a pre recorded tape, they also should make better commercials, they can always make full coverage more affordable, and have better roadside assistance.

Original review: May 13, 2018

My experience with Esurance agents has always been pleasant. Getting correct coverage was as easy as a phone call. Having an established email made it simple. I also like the availability of policy, cards, edits, etc. online. I was able to access my new policy, including any changes, within literally hours of contacting the customer service agent. They were polite, understanding, and efficient in processing my request for both initial coverage and any changes I made at a later date. My proof of insurance cards were available online within minutes, and I could access them with my smartphone. Perfect! I also enjoyed the prices being a first-time customer a year ago, but renewal prices are usually double the normal monthly rate, and creep up with every renewal. The coverage is required in my state but I'm seriously considering switching companies to save money.

Original review: May 12, 2018

It was easy to start up, customer service was awesome and very helpful. I was able to go online. Fill out all information requested and print off proofs immediately. Convenience of that was super nice and easy process. I was walked right through step by step. However, there was no local office to stop into. My monthly bill was average too. I found a company that provided coverage for less. For people unable to print would be nice for them to send a copy out as well that way everyone has a paper copy. I switch companies and they sent a check right away. They were very understanding.

Original review: May 12, 2018

It was very easy to purchase my policy. I went online, put in all the driver information on the vehicle information, selected the coverage I wanted and purchase my policy and was set up in a short time. I liked that they were an online company and it was very easy to access their services. Also great customer service when I needed to call. Lynn was able to access my policy anytime I needed easily and even though it was all online I still felt I was getting good coverage. I would like to see them have a brick-and-mortar office where if you did have a big issue if you would be able to go in and speak to somebody face-to-face and feel maybe a little more connected.

Original review: May 12, 2018

We chose and have stayed with them because they work well for us. They have low prices, decent coverage, good towing options, and an excellent response time when I/we have been stranded due to snow storms and blown tires. However, I wish it was a bit more personal, not being 109% online, that kind of concerns you when you are in need in the dead of night, though they have pulled through for us every time we are in need. We have no plans to change. We love Esurance.

Not sure about Esurance?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Insurance for you.

Esurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Esurance is an auto insurance company owned by its larger parent company, Allstate. The company is among the first established online insurance companies and offers 17 physical office locations around the country.

• Excellent customer service: Esurance has more than 3,000 customer service representatives working for the company across the country. Customer service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

• Fast settlement time: The company works fast at handling auto damage claims and can settle most within 10 days.

• Esurance mobile: Customers who use Esurance auto insurance have access to the Esurance Mobile App, which allows them to access their insurance account information when they're on the go.

• Discounts offered: Esurance offers customers numerous discounts, like multipolicy discounts, safe driving discounts and discounts for switching from another insurance provider to Esurance.

• Many vehicles covered: The provider offers coverage for a wide range of vehicles, so drivers who drive motorcycles, boats or bikes can also find coverage.

• Best for: New drivers, drivers looking for insurance discounts and people who just purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Esurance Company Information

www.esurance.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business