Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Erie Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Homeowners?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Really nice people. Prompt. Inexpensive. Willing to help you however they can. It was only a slight increase to my policy to add special. For example, Coins, Stamps, etc... Thankfully, I have not needed to file a claim.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Last year I had wind damage to my roof which caused water damage to the ceiling in two different rooms. I called my agent who sent an adjuster to inspect the damage. After the assessment a report was sent to the claims office which authorized a check to replace my roof and repair the ceiling in the two rooms. When it was done I was contacted by another adjuster to ensure there was enough to cover all of the damage and was going to send me additional funds if needed. They were not needed.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I have coverage for my condo. (Inside only--nothing on the outside of my condo needs to be covered by my insurance.) The HOA covers everything on outside, including the walls, the roof, the walkways, etc.). It was explained by my insurance agent very clearly what that coverage includes, and what it does not cover.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Like my representative. She tries to get me the best rates always. When I did apply for a claim, they were quite responsive and followed through till the end. I would and do recommend them to my friends and my clients, since I am a realtor.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I got the lowest auto quote but the homeowner's was only $50 less. Still I think it's a more reliable company than the Liberty plan I had thought was best. Guess my prior experience w/ Erie made me more comfortable taking it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I was surprised at the low rate I received. They do not advertise much. I initially sought a quote from Hartford because AARP recommended them. But Erie was by far lower with excellent customer service.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I use a broker who is extremely helpful. Few claims, but handled quickly. I’ve used them for over six years. Have my auto insurance with them as well. That’s all I have to say. No more, no less.

Original review: June 18, 2020

I have been insured with Erie since 2003. In October of 2019, there was arson on my property. My shed and husband's car was intentionally set on fire. From the beginning, we have had poor experiences with the people Erie employs to handle their claims. We will start with the Auto Adjuster. Her first name is Jill, I do not remember her last name. Every time we would call, she sounded like we were bothering her. We were looking for information regarding the claim and the claims process and it was OBVIOUS she did not want to be bothered. She was impatient and her tone made it seem like she thought we were stupid. We eventually stopped calling.

Now we move on to the Homeowners Adjuster, Juan **. While mostly pleasant, every time we would call, which might I add was about weekly because we didn't want to be left in the dark about anything, he always seemed to scramble for the information he provided to us. He then left for a vacation of sorts in December and failed to let us know, leaving us wondering what was going to happen w/ our claim. That leads me to dealing with who I believe was his supervisor, a Patrick **. That may NOT be who he reports to, Erie's employees do not always give you the info you need, but nevertheless, Mr. ** was EXTREMELY rude to me. I called to inquire what was happening with the Claim, and was treated like I was bothering him. After calling out his rude behavior, I wished him happy holidays and moving forward, Mr. ** would NOT return any future phone calls from us. He flat out IGNORED us.

In the middle of all of this, Erie sent a Thomas ** to our home, apparently from SIU. Mr. ** was polite initially, but he does NOT communicate well. For example, he left his personal phone number to be called back on, a number I specifically asked if he can be reached at and he said "YES", then grew agitated when he was called on that line. He took his time getting in touch with the Fire Dept., and took several days to respond to emails sent. Mr. ** finally called me and impatiently told me that I "NEEDED TO STOP CALLING" to get information on the claims, and they were being handled. In my defense, and on behalf of EVERYONE insured with ANY insurance company, INSUREDS HAVE THE RIGHT to call and get information.

I own the fact and take responsibility that calling weekly in the beginning may have been excessive. I have anxiety and PTSD which I work hard to control, but I am human and sometimes re assurance is calming to me. REGARDLESS, I, nor anyone else, should have to tell their insurance company or any representative of their insurance company such personal information just to get them to be nice and patient with the insured's. I have a feeling Mr. ** did not want to work so hard over the Holidays, which is understandable but OH WELL. I am also considerably younger than Mr. **, and I know from EXPERIENCE men from his generation do NOT like a take charge woman, so that could be a contributing factor to his unprofessional behavior. He actually reduced me to tears. The claims was enough for me to handle and I needed compassion and patience and got the EXACT opposite.

I stopped calling to get info after all of that and apologized even tho I truly feel I should NOT have. It is not 06/2020 and the claim is still open, NO ONE from Erie keeps in touch with us and honestly, we will be leaving Erie as soon as the rates go up. I hope many people read this. I want it known how horrible this company made me feel and I would NOT recommend to ANYONE.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Heavy wind and hail storm. Shingles blew off. Erie Claims adjuster denied claim. Then my daughter, a 17 year Erie policyholder, received notice of cancellation stating: "Hazardous exposures due to the condition of the property: The roof has outlived its serviceable life. The poor property condition(s) create hazardous exposures and a potential for future losses. Therefore, we are cancelling your policy." This house was purchased 18 months ago. Bank appraiser appraised it, reputable home inspector issued report. Erie already denied claim and now kick in pants cancel policy 1/2 way thru policy year. Premium for year paid in advance. No opportunity to replace roof.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Very disappointed and frustrated with Erie’s handling of my claim and their customer service. Two neighbors on either side of me had their roof replaced by insurance with no issues from other insurance companies. For us, ERIE adjuster called out an engineer who said there was no hail damage - and no hail on the specified date within 5 miles of my house. I have multiple certified weather reports stating there was 1-1/2” hail at my specific address on the date, and I also sent them an image of our neighbor who was holding a piece of it on that day with a time stamp on the text message.

I pointed out their engineer report was incorrect with her facts so why do they trust her report - but that’s what they continue to hide behind. Then, we get a letter from Erie underwriting stating guess what - we need our roof replaced or they may cancel our policy. Beyond upset with this group. I wrote several people at corporate but all same story - they stand with their engineers false report.

Erie Homeowners author review by Matthew Brodsky

AM Best gave this company an A+ rating for financial strength. However, ERIE only operates in 12 states, so check to make sure the company writes policies in your area. In addition to homeowners insurance, the company also provides policies for cars, renters, condos, mobile homes and boats.

• Cost: Its homeowners insurance costs $1,320 to $1,440 a year on average.

• Plans and coverage: ERIE’s standard plan covers dwellings, other structures, liability protection and loss of use. Optional coverage includes earthquake and flood insurance, service line protection, and sump overflow and water backup.

• Discounts: This company offers discounts for policy bundling, home protection systems and new customers.

• Availability: ERIE writes policies in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor