Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Homeowners Insurance

3.8/5 (143 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About ERIE Homeowners

ERIE is an insurance provider that writes customizable home coverage policies in select Northeastern states. It prioritizes in-person communication and doesn’t provide an app for homeowner policy management. If you’re interested in getting a quote for ERIE’s home insurance, you’ll need to contact a local agent.

Pros

• 24/7 customer service
  • Customizable policies
  • Replacement cost guarantee

Cons

• Available in just 12 states
  • No mobile app for home insurance

Bottom Line

ERIE offers customizable homeowners insurance, guaranteed replacement cost coverage and 24/7 customer service. However, it writes policies in only 12 Northeastern states and the District of Columbia.

Top ERIE Homeowners Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

When we were checking policies the one we had was way overpriced compared to the one we have now. The insurance agents are very helpful and always willing to listen to all your co...

Verified

… I have had Erie insurance for over 5 years and have never had a bad experience! Coverage is also excellent. Their customer service is always a pleasant experience! If I have que...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About ERIE homeowners insurance

ERIE was founded in 1925 and began providing homeowners insurance in 1961. Its home policies are available in 12 states and the District of Columbia exclusively, and it sells its coverage through independent agents. ERIE doesn’t offer online quotes or claims, and it doesn’t have an app for homeowner policy management; however, if you need general tips and advice on home maintenance or home insurance, ERIE’s website has a helpful and informative blog.

ERIE offers add-ons like service line protection and identity restoration, and its guaranteed replacement cost coverage ensures the company pays all expenses to rebuild your entire home if necessary.

ERIE homeowners insurance coverage

ERIE’s base home insurance policy offers standard coverage options, but it also includes some benefits that are more uncommon in basic policies. Its base homeowners policy includes:

• Structure coverage
  • Personal property protection
  • Liability coverage
  • Living expenses (if you can’t live in your home due to a covered loss)
  • Guaranteed cost replacement
  • Theft protection
  • Pet coverage
  • Cash and precious metal coverage

If you’re looking for more thorough or specific home coverage, ERIE offers a number of add-on protection options:

• Computer and equipment
  • Jewelry and high-end valuables
  • Personal liability
  • Rental income
  • Service line
  • Water backup and sump overflow

ERIE homeowners insurance quotes and rates

ERIE doesn’t specify its home insurance costs online, and its website doesn’t provide quotes. A number of details determine your insurance rates, including your credit score and claims history, as well as your home’s location and age — and more. Contact an ERIE agent directly to get a home insurance estimate. ERIE does offer multiple discount options to help bring down prices, including:

• Multipolicy discounts: Combining your home insurance with its auto or life policies can save you up to 20%.
  • Security discounts: You can get discounts for smoke detectors, burglar alarms and sprinkler systems.
  • Advanced quote discounts: If you get a quote seven to 60 days before your policy expires, you should be eligible for a discount.

ERIE homeowners insurance FAQ

What does ERIE homeowners insurance cover?
ERIE’s homeowners insurance covers structures, personal property and liability. It also provides additional coverage options, including protection for pets, hard-to-replace items, guaranteed replacement costs and more.
Does ERIE homeowners insurance cover mold?
Yes, ERIE’s homeowners insurance covers mold under its standard insurance; coverage is limited to $10,000.
How do I file a claim with ERIE?
You can file a home insurance claim with ERIE by contacting your local agent or calling the company’s customer service line, where support is available 24/7.
Where is ERIE home insurance available?
ERIE offers home insurance in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia.

Is ERIE homeowners insurance good?

ERIE is a good home insurance choice for those in its service area. It offers several coverage options, and its base policy provides coverage that’s more comprehensive than what many companies offer. Its policies are also fairly affordable, even with the addition of optional coverage.

ERIE’s customer reviews are largely favorable, and the company offers customer support 24/7 in case of emergency. Overall, though ERIE might not be ideal for those who like to handle their policies online, its coverage and savings options might outweigh the inconvenience.

ERIE Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ERIE Homeowners?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Disastrous house fire required major cleaning and reconstruction, as well as contents cleaning. This is a miserable experience, and we were unprepared. How to clean up the mess? How to salvage the contents? How to arrange reconstruction? Who to hire? Where to stay while the house is uninhabitable? We were fortunate to have coverage with Erie. Their adjuster guided us thru the process, including arranging alternative accommodation. They paid nearly all the cost. Interesting fact: Erie paid the estimated cost to replace all our stuff -- not the depreciated value, but the cost (not always including sales tax) of buying new. You do not think about this until you actually have to do it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Erie agents have been very helpful when I need to file a claim for homeowners or for my auto insurance. They listen to my concerns and had the adjuster to come out immediately. Assured that the rental car was available when needed. My roof was damaged. The adjuster was thorough in explaining what would need to be done. Allowed me to select the company I wanted to use. They are helpful and most of all you are made to feel guilty for filing a claim. I recommend them to my friends and family.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Last year I had wind damage to my roof which caused water damage to the ceiling in two different rooms. I called my agent who sent an adjuster to inspect the damage. After the assessment a report was sent to the claims office which authorized a check to replace my roof and repair the ceiling in the two rooms. When it was done I was contacted by another adjuster to ensure there was enough to cover all of the damage and was going to send me additional funds if needed. They were not needed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I have coverage for my condo. (Inside only--nothing on the outside of my condo needs to be covered by my insurance.) The HOA covers everything on outside, including the walls, the roof, the walkways, etc.). It was explained by my insurance agent very clearly what that coverage includes, and what it does not cover.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Like my representative. She tries to get me the best rates always. When I did apply for a claim, they were quite responsive and followed through till the end. I would and do recommend them to my friends and my clients, since I am a realtor.

Original review: June 30, 2021

Erie Insurance is the worst company to deal with when you claim, the adjuster Danika and her supervisor Mr. ** both trying to rip me off and making me pay additional $6000 for my roof repairing. They try to do their best when you claim them - they also overcharged me and collected the entire amount of insurance. Stay away from.

Original review: May 12, 2021

We purchase our townhome which was built in1985 in Jun 2016. Then unfortunately we had a water pipe burst on Feb. 16, 2016, an ice damming caused water damage on Jan. 23, 2019, and another ice damming caused some minor damage on Mar. 28, 2020. Every time, Erie suggested a contractor to us to fix the issues and we did all the recommendations to upgrade our house including putting in a new roof and update all the exhaust piping in the attic. Now, We received a non-renewal notice from Erie. All the incidences were not our fault and we did everything recommended by the contractor to upgrade our townhouse. I feel betrayed by the insurance company that I can have the insurance but I can not use it.

Original review: April 30, 2021

We have been with this company for a very long time. They keep raising prices for no reason. My wife and I just got the recent renew letter today along with a hefty price increase. Thank you Erie. Also, wife and I was involved in a auto accident last year, got sandwiched by a driver who didn't have insurance himself. Cut and dry claim. NOT OUR FAULT, although, it has taken almost a year to settle with a lawyer with these idiots. They keep wanting to drag their feet. I would NOT recommend this company at all. This isn't the first time they have raised our insurance for no reason. They can't blame our credit, it over 100 points higher than what it was when we started with them. They can't blame us for missed payments, we have never missed one. We got in touch with our agent, we are leaving Erie very soon. Stay away from these idiots.

Original review: April 29, 2021

We had a huge storm come through with hail, tornados, etc. House was pounded. Roof had a hail damage and about a dozen shingles torn off. The house to the left was missing none. Got a new roof. House to the right of me missing none. Got a new roof. I got the worst of it due to how my house sets, I got DENIED. Good bye Erie. Incredibly bad.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I have been their loyal customers for more than 10 years. I missed only one payment in 10 years. My policy was cancelled. When I called back to reinstate the policy they took the whole year's payment (rest of the premium) only for to call back few days later that "We can not reinstate it now. We have to rewrite the policy." I said ok and I was shocked it DOUBLED the amount I was paying before. When I asked why is that and lady replied that "We do not offer the policy you had it."

Can you believe it? Missing one payment gets your policy cancelled (which is ok if am not paying them) and now they want 2 time more amount to get you back on track. I don't have any Claims on me which should be concerned for higher premium. Bottom line is 10 years with them. During the Pandemic they are trying to rip off their customers. I have Emailed their CEO. CALLED their customer service. No help. If someone gets back to me and help me out in this situation I am willing to take this survey off.

ERIE Homeowners Company Information