Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.83/5

ERIE is an insurance provider that writes customizable home coverage policies in select Northeastern states. It prioritizes in-person communication and doesn’t provide an app for homeowner policy management. If you’re interested in getting a quote for ERIE’s home insurance, you’ll need to contact a local agent.

BOTTOM LINE

ERIE offers customizable homeowners insurance, guaranteed replacement cost coverage and 24/7 customer service. However, it writes policies in only 12 Northeastern states and the District of Columbia.

PROS

• 24/7 customer service
  • Customizable policies
  • Replacement cost guarantee

CONS

• Available in just 12 states
  • No mobile app for home insurance

Top ERIE Homeowners Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ERIE Homeowners?

When we were checking policies the one we had was way overpriced compared to the one we have now. The insurance agents are very helpful and always willing to listen to all your complaints about the storms and damage that they do. Erie is always there to help 24/7. Good insurance...

… I have had Erie insurance for over 5 years and have never had a bad experience! Coverage is also excellent. Their customer service is always a pleasant experience! If I have questions or concerns Erie is always available or gets back to me usually the same day… always helpful when I need them.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

About ERIE homeowners insurance

ERIE was founded in 1925 and began providing homeowners insurance in 1961. Its home policies are available in 12 states and the District of Columbia exclusively, and it sells its coverage through independent agents. ERIE doesn’t offer online quotes or claims, and it doesn’t have an app for homeowner policy management; however, if you need general tips and advice on home maintenance or home insurance, ERIE’s website has a helpful and informative blog.

ERIE offers add-ons like service line protection and identity restoration, and its guaranteed replacement cost coverage ensures the company pays all expenses to rebuild your entire home if necessary.

ERIE homeowners insurance coverage

ERIE’s base home insurance policy offers standard coverage options, but it also includes some benefits that are more uncommon in basic policies. Its base homeowners policy includes:

• Structure coverage
  • Personal property protection
  • Liability coverage
  • Living expenses (if you can’t live in your home due to a covered loss)
  • Guaranteed cost replacement
  • Theft protection
  • Pet coverage
  • Cash and precious metal coverage

If you’re looking for more thorough or specific home coverage, ERIE offers a number of add-on protection options:

• Computer and equipment
  • Jewelry and high-end valuables
  • Personal liability
  • Rental income
  • Service line
  • Water backup and sump overflow

ERIE homeowners insurance quotes and rates

ERIE doesn’t specify its home insurance costs online, and its website doesn’t provide quotes. A number of details determine your insurance rates, including your credit score and claims history, as well as your home’s location and age — and more. Contact an ERIE agent directly to get a home insurance estimate. ERIE does offer multiple discount options to help bring down prices, including:

• Multipolicy discounts: Combining your home insurance with its auto or life policies can save you up to 20%.
  • Security discounts: You can get discounts for smoke detectors, burglar alarms and sprinkler systems.
  • Advanced quote discounts: If you get a quote seven to 60 days before your policy expires, you should be eligible for a discount.

ERIE homeowners insurance FAQ

What does ERIE homeowners insurance cover?
ERIE’s homeowners insurance covers structures, personal property and liability. It also provides additional coverage options, including protection for pets, hard-to-replace items, guaranteed replacement costs and more.
Does ERIE homeowners insurance cover mold?
Yes, ERIE’s homeowners insurance covers mold under its standard insurance; coverage is limited to $10,000.
How do I file a claim with ERIE?
You can file a home insurance claim with ERIE by contacting your local agent or calling the company’s customer service line, where support is available 24/7.
Where is ERIE home insurance available?
ERIE offers home insurance in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia.

Is ERIE homeowners insurance good?

ERIE is a good home insurance choice for those in its service area. It offers several coverage options, and its base policy provides coverage that’s more comprehensive than what many companies offer. Its policies are also fairly affordable, even with the addition of optional coverage.

ERIE’s customer reviews are largely favorable, and the company offers customer support 24/7 in case of emergency. Overall, though ERIE might not be ideal for those who like to handle their policies online, its coverage and savings options might outweigh the inconvenience.

ERIE Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ERIE Homeowners?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Disastrous house fire required major cleaning and reconstruction, as well as contents cleaning. This is a miserable experience, and we were unprepared. How to clean up the mess? How to salvage the contents? How to arrange reconstruction? Who to hire? Where to stay while the house is uninhabitable? We were fortunate to have coverage with Erie. Their adjuster guided us thru the process, including arranging alternative accommodation. They paid nearly all the cost. Interesting fact: Erie paid the estimated cost to replace all our stuff -- not the depreciated value, but the cost (not always including sales tax) of buying new. You do not think about this until you actually have to do it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Erie agents have been very helpful when I need to file a claim for homeowners or for my auto insurance. They listen to my concerns and had the adjuster to come out immediately. Assured that the rental car was available when needed. My roof was damaged. The adjuster was thorough in explaining what would need to be done. Allowed me to select the company I wanted to use. They are helpful and most of all you are made to feel guilty for filing a claim. I recommend them to my friends and family.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

Last year I had wind damage to my roof which caused water damage to the ceiling in two different rooms. I called my agent who sent an adjuster to inspect the damage. After the assessment a report was sent to the claims office which authorized a check to replace my roof and repair the ceiling in the two rooms. When it was done I was contacted by another adjuster to ensure there was enough to cover all of the damage and was going to send me additional funds if needed. They were not needed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I have coverage for my condo. (Inside only--nothing on the outside of my condo needs to be covered by my insurance.) The HOA covers everything on outside, including the walls, the roof, the walkways, etc.). It was explained by my insurance agent very clearly what that coverage includes, and what it does not cover.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Like my representative. She tries to get me the best rates always. When I did apply for a claim, they were quite responsive and followed through till the end. I would and do recommend them to my friends and my clients, since I am a realtor.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I have been their loyal customers for more than 10 years. I missed only one payment in 10 years. My policy was cancelled. When I called back to reinstate the policy they took the whole year's payment (rest of the premium) only for to call back few days later that "We can not reinstate it now. We have to rewrite the policy." I said ok and I was shocked it DOUBLED the amount I was paying before. When I asked why is that and lady replied that "We do not offer the policy you had it."

Can you believe it? Missing one payment gets your policy cancelled (which is ok if am not paying them) and now they want 2 time more amount to get you back on track. I don't have any Claims on me which should be concerned for higher premium. Bottom line is 10 years with them. During the Pandemic they are trying to rip off their customers. I have Emailed their CEO. CALLED their customer service. No help. If someone gets back to me and help me out in this situation I am willing to take this survey off.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Our home was damaged in late July 2020 due to a broken PVC pipe ran from the attic to the first floor. Floors, furniture, walls were warped and infested with mold. We contacted Erie right after we discovered the problem and was advised to fix them right away. We also invited various contractors and the original builder to inspect the situation to make sure that it was not due to the poor craftsmanship or faulty installation. All of them concluded that the PVC was installed properly and the incident occurred suddenly. Erie sent an inspector to evaluate the situation before we opened the walls and floor, and before we started the repair. The next thing we hear from Erie two weeks later that a denial decision. Erie claim handler quoted a few paragraphs from the policy which I disputed in a follow-up letter. Erie refused to continue further conversation.

By the way, Erie never asked us what was the true cause after we opened the walls and floors. They used their magic wand and figured everything out at their home office. By the way, it cost us $10,500 to repair the damage. We are looking for justice right now. If you are shopping for home insurance, don't let their quote blind you. Be prepared that you will be treated the same way as we were treated.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Avoid Erie Insurance. They will actively work towards denying your legitimate claims. I have a home auto bundle for the last 4 years and had a wind event in Feb 2020 due to which I had to file a claim for my roof. It's been 8 months I have been going back and forth to resolve my claim. They just will not pay my legitimate claim. Horrible insurance company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Really nice people. Prompt. Inexpensive. Willing to help you however they can. It was only a slight increase to my policy to add special. For example, Coins, Stamps, etc... Thankfully, I have not needed to file a claim.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I was surprised at the low rate I received. They do not advertise much. I initially sought a quote from Hartford because AARP recommended them. But Erie was by far lower with excellent customer service.

ERIE Homeowners Company Information