Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.83/5

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Erie Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Homeowners?

Original review: June 18, 2020

I have been insured with Erie since 2003. In October of 2019, there was arson on my property. My shed and husband's car was intentionally set on fire. From the beginning, we have had poor experiences with the people Erie employs to handle their claims. We will start with the Auto Adjuster. Her first name is Jill, I do not remember her last name. Every time we would call, she sounded like we were bothering her. We were looking for information regarding the claim and the claims process and it was OBVIOUS she did not want to be bothered. She was impatient and her tone made it seem like she thought we were stupid. We eventually stopped calling.

Now we move on to the Homeowners Adjuster, Juan **. While mostly pleasant, every time we would call, which might I add was about weekly because we didn't want to be left in the dark about anything, he always seemed to scramble for the information he provided to us. He then left for a vacation of sorts in December and failed to let us know, leaving us wondering what was going to happen w/ our claim. That leads me to dealing with who I believe was his supervisor, a Patrick **. That may NOT be who he reports to, Erie's employees do not always give you the info you need, but nevertheless, Mr. ** was EXTREMELY rude to me. I called to inquire what was happening with the Claim, and was treated like I was bothering him. After calling out his rude behavior, I wished him happy holidays and moving forward, Mr. ** would NOT return any future phone calls from us. He flat out IGNORED us.

In the middle of all of this, Erie sent a Thomas ** to our home, apparently from SIU. Mr. ** was polite initially, but he does NOT communicate well. For example, he left his personal phone number to be called back on, a number I specifically asked if he can be reached at and he said "YES", then grew agitated when he was called on that line. He took his time getting in touch with the Fire Dept., and took several days to respond to emails sent. Mr. ** finally called me and impatiently told me that I "NEEDED TO STOP CALLING" to get information on the claims, and they were being handled. In my defense, and on behalf of EVERYONE insured with ANY insurance company, INSUREDS HAVE THE RIGHT to call and get information.

I own the fact and take responsibility that calling weekly in the beginning may have been excessive. I have anxiety and PTSD which I work hard to control, but I am human and sometimes re assurance is calming to me. REGARDLESS, I, nor anyone else, should have to tell their insurance company or any representative of their insurance company such personal information just to get them to be nice and patient with the insured's. I have a feeling Mr. ** did not want to work so hard over the Holidays, which is understandable but OH WELL. I am also considerably younger than Mr. **, and I know from EXPERIENCE men from his generation do NOT like a take charge woman, so that could be a contributing factor to his unprofessional behavior. He actually reduced me to tears. The claims was enough for me to handle and I needed compassion and patience and got the EXACT opposite.

I stopped calling to get info after all of that and apologized even tho I truly feel I should NOT have. It is not 06/2020 and the claim is still open, NO ONE from Erie keeps in touch with us and honestly, we will be leaving Erie as soon as the rates go up. I hope many people read this. I want it known how horrible this company made me feel and I would NOT recommend to ANYONE.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Heavy wind and hail storm. Shingles blew off. Erie Claims adjuster denied claim. Then my daughter, a 17 year Erie policyholder, received notice of cancellation stating: "Hazardous exposures due to the condition of the property: The roof has outlived its serviceable life. The poor property condition(s) create hazardous exposures and a potential for future losses. Therefore, we are cancelling your policy." This house was purchased 18 months ago. Bank appraiser appraised it, reputable home inspector issued report. Erie already denied claim and now kick in pants cancel policy 1/2 way thru policy year. Premium for year paid in advance. No opportunity to replace roof.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Very disappointed and frustrated with Erie’s handling of my claim and their customer service. Two neighbors on either side of me had their roof replaced by insurance with no issues from other insurance companies. For us, ERIE adjuster called out an engineer who said there was no hail damage - and no hail on the specified date within 5 miles of my house. I have multiple certified weather reports stating there was 1-1/2” hail at my specific address on the date, and I also sent them an image of our neighbor who was holding a piece of it on that day with a time stamp on the text message.

I pointed out their engineer report was incorrect with her facts so why do they trust her report - but that’s what they continue to hide behind. Then, we get a letter from Erie underwriting stating guess what - we need our roof replaced or they may cancel our policy. Beyond upset with this group. I wrote several people at corporate but all same story - they stand with their engineers false report.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I have been with Erie Insurance for 5 years and my parent was insured with them for years prior to their death. Erie has been difficult to deal with like demanding I clean my father's yard after he died. They did not care that I was grieving and needed time to sort things out. I stayed like a fool despite their insensitivity toward my loss but I had a few claims and they harrassed me and sending letters that someone inspected my property and I knew they were lying because I installed a gate for safety around my home as well as surveillance cameras outside around my home.

So because they could not get in my home in February with no letters about scheduling to do an inspection they send a letter less than 30 days prior to my renewal dropping me because they could not get in my home in February 2019 in which I expressed I was sick in the hospital with congestive heart failure and high fluid retention. But Erie did not mention wanting to do the inspection anymore throughout the remainder of my policy term and they dropped me in October 2019 no warning so I am stuck with having to come up with more money for a downpayment for new insurance. Being on Disability it not easy for me financially. Stay away from Erie insurance. They do not care about their relationships with their customers.

Original review: July 25, 2019

The worst, never had a claim for 18 years. Once you need their help they are nowhere to be found. Total malpractice. Office above had water leak which damaged my walls and bathroom. They admitted to the claim but totally incompetent and possibly malpractice by refusing to pay for repairs. Total waste of money and will get them to court. If you do not have a claim they are happy to raise your rate. Take your money.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Erie is the worst! They don't make sense! I had a claim on one of my rental property and when I bought a brand new property they refused to add the property to the policy. Really? It's a brand new property and they refuse to insure it because of another old property being claimed. No common sense, what a business!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I experienced a loss in 2018 with my homeowner's insurance Erie. I filed a claim that today still is pending. I was told by Erie it could go on indefinitely. I was required to do an EUO with Erie’s lawyer that took place 6/19... During that meeting I was laughed at for wear wigs and endured racist remarks and questions that had nothing to do with my claim. Today it’s still pending and they have not provided the data they were by agreement nor have they made a decision. If you're a minority this is not the insurance company for you in my opinion. If you ever had a medical situation that made you need a wig don’t go to them either because they will only cause you harm laughing at you and treating you so harshly.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

The paperwork is easy. The prices are cheaper too. Local branch is near my residence and I trust them to give me the best quotes there are. The local office is great and easy to get a hold of. They have friendly office staff and they always walk me through all the paperwork and fees. They treat my family like one of their own.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I filed claims for damages and wasn't paid enough to make repairs. Erie dropped my homeowners insurance after 12 years because I did not like the color green and painted them black with roof paint. As a general contractor myself, I am well abreast to standards and material applications. I believe I was discriminated against for being ** and knowledgeable about insurance ripoffs.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have never had problem with them, they are a good company. They offer everything that I ask for in an insurance company, they cover everything that I ask for. They cover my entire home, basement included, outbuildings included, along with autos. They offer discounts home and auto. I have had good luck when having to make claims. We have had two claims, and each time, they were quick and sent out adjusters to check out the issues for our home problems, problems solved quickly. I have an independent insurance agent whom handles numerous companies. With this we can compare more than one company when shopping for companies at one stop shopping without traveling from company to company. This company gives me the best for what I need to cover my home and autos, I have good service with this company.

Erie Homeowners author review by Matthew Brodsky

AM Best gave this company an A+ rating for financial strength. However, ERIE only operates in 12 states, so check to make sure the company writes policies in your area. In addition to homeowners insurance, the company also provides policies for cars, renters, condos, mobile homes and boats.

• Cost: Its homeowners insurance costs $1,320 to $1,440 a year on average.

• Plans and coverage: ERIE’s standard plan covers dwellings, other structures, liability protection and loss of use. Optional coverage includes earthquake and flood insurance, service line protection, and sump overflow and water backup.

• Discounts: This company offers discounts for policy bundling, home protection systems and new customers.

• Availability: ERIE writes policies in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Washington, D.C.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor