3.35/5
Based on 37 reviews that contain star ratings

37 Erie Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had a flood due to a burst pipe in my house. I called the claims hotline at 9:00 pm to report the incident. I received a call from the claims adjuster at 8 the next morning. After describing the incident, the adjuster explained how the process would proceed and what to expect. Erie had a restoration crew in my house by 10 am to begin the drying process. After completing the dry out, the adjuster evaluated the damage, estimated restoration costs and authorized the repairs. I had my first check 3 days later. Upon completion of the repairs, I submitted invoices and receipts and had my final check within a few days. The Erie employees were great to deal with and made a very stressful situation bearable. I highly recommend this company.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I only been a homeowner policyholder with Erie for about 5 years but have been satisfied with them as I have had my auto policy with them for 43 years. They are responsive and make sure that you are covered.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I've been with Erie for 16 years. I house roof and barn roofs received wind damage from the March high winds we had here in MD. I called Erie to file my very first claim with them. An adjuster came out. When he checked my porch roof, he said someone had recently applied new tar to the shingles. I told him no one had touched my roof. He basically called me a liar. I have MS so I'm not going on the roof, my partner passed away almost 2 years ago. That leaves my 5 year old, special needs grandson.

I Showed him under the porch roof where it leaks from the raised shingles. He told me there was a partially rotten board and the leak had been there. I told him we had put a new roof on the porch between 10 and 12 years ago because of all the prior leaks and the board he was looking at was from years ago. The roof isn't leaking there now. Basically called me a liar again. If he hadn't have upset me so, I would have shown him the supports we had put in, under the porch roof, because of the leaks from years ago.

I have a tin roof on the house, which I have painted every so many years. The wind lifted some shingles on one side of my roof. The adjuster made the comment he didn't know about the house roof because it's a old house and the roof shows rust. I told it's a tin roof and has to be painted every so often. It's due to be painted this year but I'm not having it painted with the shingles raised. I have been trying to get in touch with a supervisor at Erie. So far no luck. There is also no local office I can talk to about this. Erie didnt mind writing the policy 16 years ago and they sure don't mind taking my money. Now I have to wait for them to send a company out that can get on my roof because the adjuster couldn't. So far I am very displeased with Erie and the way I have been treated. I am a very honest person and I do not lie. I hope it isn't Erie's norm to treat others the way I have been treated. A single, disabled, grandmother.

Original review: April 2, 2018

When I received my homeowner's policy and it had gone up a significant amount, yet again, I began looking at other insurances. I lived in a rural community and had built a new home 10 years ago. I was told my high premiums were due to being so far away from a fire department or fire hydrant. I had questioned each raise and was told by my Appalachian Insurance Agents that it was because of the cost of supplies going up. I assumed the supplies needed in case my house was totally destroyed. So reluctantly, I called them again because I had read great reviews on Erie and had been with them over 20 years. I didn't want to leave. Well, I told them the homeowner policy had risen to a rate I simply couldn't afford.

The agent said she'd call me back after checking into it. Shortly, she called back with great news... my policy would be reduced by about $1000. Wow!!! How did that happen, I wondered. She said that Erie had a new method of rating homes in rural communities. Therefore, my insurance would be lowered since it fell under the old method of rating homes. Well, why the devil, did no one notify me of these changes before my premiums rose to such a high rate??? Doesn't Erie owe me for past premiums that I was basically overcharged??? Isn't it only ethical that they notify everyone and readjust premiums without the customer having to bring it to their knowledge??? I am no longer insured with Erie. I left for automotive insurance reasons but this left a bad taste in my mouth!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

We have been with Erie for well over 15 years. This past year we had a tree fall on our garage and I called Erie. They sent a man down the next day to look at what happened and he took some pictures. Within 2 days they called me and let me know they were sending me two checks one for the repair work and one for the removal of the tree that had fallen. Never had a problem with our car insurance either. We had a windows replaced from a rock hitting it. I called the next day they sent down the repair company and they fixed it right in my driveway. Best insurance company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Homeowners?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I filed a claim on my homeowners insurance back in April of 2017 for someone breaking in our home stealing everything and vandalism. The Charlestown police department let these people stay in my home while my family and I had to stay at my sister's until I got a protection order against the perpetrators to have them removed and it took me 10 days to do this. They stole 20,000 dollars worth of stuff. Clothes, shoes, electronics, appliances and damaged our carpet with motor oil, carved curse words in my kitchen floor, cut up all of our mattresses, put holes in my walls and a hole by the attic access door. Estimated between damages and stolen belongings to be 25,000 dollars.

They sent one check in September for 5,000 dollars to replace belongings and just sent a check for 5,000 dollars for repairs for damages 2 weeks ago. I had to do statement after statement under oath as well as going to a local law office and do a statement under oath with all the evidence I provided and a court recorder. This company is ridiculous on their processes. I called and called, left voicemail after voicemail with the adjuster and investigator many many times and after that 6 months later they finally send a check. Because of this I couldn't catch my house payment up because the perpetrators stole my bank account information, my social everything, I am now facing foreclosure with a sheriff's sale. I wouldn't recommend this company not even for doggy insurance, even rat insurance if it was possible. They are a joke and absolutely unprofessional as well as ridiculously slow in all processes.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I am very fortunate that I Have Not had to file a claim on my home. I am confident that if there were ever an occurrence Erie would provide me great service as they had to on auto insurance.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I was a customer with Erie over 30 years. My first homeowners claim was a water heater leak which I found, stopped, and cleaned up until a crew I called came. The company Erie recommended could not come immediately. The Erie adjuster estimated the wall to wall carpet replacement by itself would be over $10,000. Due to my efforts and the quick response of my cleanup company, they saved the carpet and the house had very minimal damage, cutting the claim at least in half.

Two years later I had a fire in the Dryer, not in the vent but in the dryer body. I quickly retrieved an extinguisher and put out the fire before it spread or damaged the house instead of getting out of the house. My wife called 911 and the firemen were impressed there was no damage to the house, only the dryer and clean up of the extinguisher--we didn't even need a hotel room. So I saved Erie thousands of dollars in both claims. I just received my thanks, a renewal notice with an 80% increase. Guess I should not put any effort into minimizing claims. Stay away from Erie. My agent does nothing either, sending a mailing once a year.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Erie Insurance for Auto, Homeowners, and life is a rip off! Advise anyone thinking of getting quotes to avoid Erie Insurance! I had all three for my insurance needs. When I no longer needed their Auto policy they increased my Homeowner's policy by 46%! Anyone living in Levittown hear this I was already paying $1700 a year because I still have the underground oil tank and I am locked in with Erie because no other company will insure me until that Tank is lifted and a new above ground one is placed. My new 2017 premium is $2537! When I sell this house I will Never insure anything with them!

Original review: April 24, 2017

We have had our rental house insured by Erie Insurance for ten years. Our renter recently moved out without paying two months rent. She left without notifying us. We found our house totally trashed. She had destroyed lovely oak kitchen cabinets by painting over with spray paint, managing to get that all over the appliances. Carpet had spray paint on it and was soiled beyond repair. She had put sticky carpet tiles over the laminate flooring in dining/living area. The glue from these has destroyed the laminate flooring. She had kept a cat in the half bath, which had defecated on the lower walls and floor, and scratched the framing from the door at the bottom. We had never filed a claim with Erie.

We called the agent. He inspected the house. A week later we got a call stating that the damage to our house was considered "normal wear and tear" and a "bad tenant". They refused to pay a dime! This insurance company worms its way out of paying claims, no matter how severe! I wonder if she had burned the house down, would it have been considered a "bad tenant"??? I don't understand how these agents can sleep at night...

Original review: April 7, 2017

We had Erie when we lived in Maryland. Couldn't get it when we moved to SC. Now we live in NC & have it again. We've never had a problem with them!!!

Original review: April 3, 2017

Erie's invoices makes you search for the address of the property covered. I have 5 policies and the annual cost is not on the invoice if you pay other than annually. Moreover, Erie's newly designed website does not give you a one page summary of all policies, due dates, the annual cost and the payments with the amount due.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

This is a terrible company, with terrible customer service. We switched to them 4 years ago, and it was a terrible mistake!! We have had 2 small claims on our auto insurance since the switch, and none on our home. We received a letter last week that they are cancelling our auto policy!!! Are you kidding me!! I have tried to call my local office 3 times, and the agent is never in the office. I finally spoke to someone today at the "customer service" number, and he could have cared less about what happened, and said that he couldn't help in anyway! Done, and done. We will take our home policy along with our auto back to the company we had for 10 plus years!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

Called Erie about 2 days ago to get a quote. When the gentlemen picked up the phone he seemed as though he didn't want to deal with me right away. He told me it would take an hour or so to get the quote ready and he would call me back which was no problem. 4 hours later I called him back and he said he was just getting around to it. He called me within the hour and gave me the quote. Price wise I was very satisfied but I asked him to email me the quote twice. I still have yet to receive the email.

I called Erie's main line and they told me to call that original office since it was the closest to my area. I told the gentlemen on the phone that I've already called that office and stated the problems I listed above. He said absolutely nothing to me after made the statement and preceded to hang up on me. If this is how they treat people trying to give them money I could only imagine how they treat people that have to make a claim. Seems like it would be a total nightmare to deal with. I'll take my money elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

I have been with Erie for over 30 years. In that time, I had two small auto claims with no issue. Recently, I filed a claim under my homeowners for personal property loss from damage due to lightning. My agent was quick to put us in touch with claims department and the inside property adjuster. We were instructed to complete electrical inspections and begin the work of repairing or replacing damaged property. I specifically asked if there was a list of professionals we had to use or should we go ahead and use our regular vendors. We were told to go ahead and use whomever we wished and that we would have to submit a signed affidavit from a certified inspector along with all of our labor and purchase receipts. We were then told that under our policy, all would be covered. So off we went with the work of inspections, repair, and replacement work. We submitted all required paperwork and waited.

The adjuster then calls and tells me that since there "was so much property loss", she would issue a check for a few items, pay the inspectors, and labor charges, but the rest of the replaced property would have to go to a "vendor" for a price review. I explained that our replacement costs were just about the same as the cost we initially spent on our property (the property lost was less than 4 years old). The adjuster then asked if I could supply my original purchase receipts to "assist in evaluating the worth". I thought this was odd, but since I had my original purchase receipts, had the signed affidavit, and knew our replacement costs were nearly identical, I supplied them. Then, the "vendor" report came back. What a joke. They did not, in fact pay the replacement costs, but reimbursed based on a depreciation value determined by some unknown source for each item listed on the inventory sheet.

When we called and tried to work out a solution (I was out well over $5,000, including my deductible). I was told that we were "very clearly informed" about replacement value. I cannot stress enough how untrue this explanation was. Depreciation was never a part of the conversation. "Go ahead, do your repairs and replacements and submit your receipts." That was the direction.

I spoke to a manager, who actually told me I was "obnoxious and unreasonable" and that I better be "happy with the settlement because that is all you're getting". I reported this interaction to corporate, who, although polite, offered me no recourse to dispute the decision. When I needed this company, they hung me out to dry. They misdirected, misrepresented, LIED, and then added insult to injury with the classless remarks by the claims supervisor, who conducted himself in a manner reflective of a schoolyard bully. Very disgusted and totally let down by this company.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Have had Erie Insurance for our Auto and Homeowners coverage for decades. Always had a pleasant experience with our Erie agent. Have had only one small auto claim and no homeowners claims so I think I've been pretty reliable customer of Erie's. Just recently, we had a water problem in our home and our agent suggested that perhaps we could get some help with temporary housing from Erie because my wife and I have serious health issues and the odors caused by the water problem (and mold) requires we leave our home till repairs are complete.

Our agent contacted an Erie "Property Adjuster" and that's where the trouble began. We experienced being treated rudely by the adjuster and were made to feel like we were "trying to pull something over on Erie". We had the quality of our air tested and received an extensive report from the company about what we were being exposed to. This report was emailed to the property agent but he paid no mind to it. All he did during his inspection of our home was make cocky remarks and quickly wrote us off as not having a legitimate claim. After we can return to our home and things settle down for us, we plan to research a new company for our auto and homeowners coverage.

Original review: May 7, 2016

I opened my homeowner's insurance premium today to find out that after filing a claim, my homeowners has almost doubled. I never received any notice telling me my insurance was going to increase. I pay my insurance yearly. I also have it bundled with my car insurance. I will be searching for another insurance company.

Original review: April 1, 2016

This company Erie was the worst nightmare I ever experience in life. I had been with this company for 10 years. First claim I put in for roof damage they denied it. Meanwhile this is a business. It cost me to lose my tenants due to the damage and also I had a big mortgage on this property. Erie insurance made my life a living hell when it came to my finances. They spent money fighting me to not pay the claim. The roof damage cause more damage on the inside. They investigate the claim for three months my and would not pay. My mortgage went into foreclosure due to me not being able to pay with no tenants.

The inspector lie, also the state of Illinois for insurance was on their side. I believe they were paid under the table. Never realize how the system with insurance companies is so corrupt. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy. Imagine paying insurance for ten years and something happen and find out they will not out of all these years devastating to anyone. I don't care how they rate this a good company. It's not...

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

Prompt bill statements mailed to me with plenty of time for me to return payment. Excellent customer service that has knowledgeable, helpful employees.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

Satisfied, because the one time we had a claim, we received fast response and fast payment. They are a local company. Just a phone call away. Have not investigated, but cost seems to be in line or lower than other companies.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

The homeowners insurance we have is for a new double wide house, built in 2012! Insurance for these homes are hard to find? With the help of the builder and the bank whom we got our mortgage with, we were lucky to find one nearby! EN insurance is very affordable and spread out our payments for us! Very nice people!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2015

Have been with Erie over 30 years and have had great service and would not change. They are there when you need them and are very accessible. Provide thorough information and rates.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2015

Have had nothing but good experiences with ERIE and highly recommend them. Reasonable rates, excellent customer service. Had weather claim 3 years ago ERIE handled above my expectations.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2015

We have never had to file a claim for homeowner but have for auto insurance with them. They were quick to respond. We have been dealing with them for over ten years. They are reasonably priced and have a great reputation. We would recommend them to anyone. They were recommended to us by others who value their business. They have a great reputation. We use them for other insurances too. They give you a special rate for bundling the insurance.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

I have not had a claim in 10-13 years, but it was taken care of promptly. A few years after the claim my agent tried to get me to switch, but I felt loyal. Have been with them ever since. Can pay my payments automatically, so no hassle.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

I have not needed to use my insurance for any claims as of yet. The rates seem fair enough. I hope I will never have to use them for a claim. However if I do I hope they are fair. My last Insurance company was not.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

Erie provides good coverage at a reasonable rate. We have not filed a claim with them so I do not know what their claim service is like. They are a highly rated insurance company offering many different types of coverage.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

They responded quickly and without any problems. The problem was fixed and the contractor paid. It was so long ago I don't remember anything else.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2015

At one time the customer service I received was acceptable but the last few years it has been disappointing. I get notices for increases in rates with little forewarning; the agent is rarely available; the administrative personnel are not warm or very helpful; the website is bare minimum and not user friendly... basically I feel I am on my own.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

They offer very good insurance with comparable expense. When I had to file my insurance claim last October, I had no problems. They fully explained everything, and helped me. I received my insurance check really quickly.

Erie Homeowners expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Erie Insurance has been in business for close to a century. Serving Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland and the District of Columbia, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The company provides homeowners and renters with coverage for several types of dwellings including houses, apartments, condominiums and manufactured homes.

• Personalized local service: Local agents compile a policy that fits each homeowner's or renter's needs. Claims can easily be made by contacting the same local agent that knows the area and culture.

• Expanded policies: They offer policies that can be expanded to include personal property against damage and theft. High value items such as computers, jewelry and electronics can be added to policies as well as everyday items.

• Competitive pricing and discounts: Competitive pricing options ensure that all customers get the coverage they need and want. Multiple discounts are available to new and existing customers, including multi-policy discounts and credits for safety systems such as burglar alarms and sprinkler systems.

• Plus policy: With their Plus policy, they waive deductibles when losses total more than $50,000, and offer higher limits for debris removal and other disaster-related expenses.

• Peace of mind: In the event property loss makes temporary relocation necessary, living expenses related to relocation are covered.

• Best for: New homeowners and those who are residents of an Eastern or Central state.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky