Erie Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have been with Erie for over 30 years. In that time, I had two small auto claims with no issue. Recently, I filed a claim under my homeowners for personal property loss from damage due to lightning. My agent was quick to put us in touch with claims department and the inside property adjuster. We were instructed to complete electrical inspections and begin the work of repairing or replacing damaged property. I specifically asked if there was a list of professionals we had to use or should we go ahead and use our regular vendors. We were told to go ahead and use whomever we wished and that we would have to submit a signed affidavit from a certified inspector along with all of our labor and purchase receipts. We were then told that under our policy, all would be covered. So off we went with the work of inspections, repair, and replacement work. We submitted all required paperwork and waited.

The adjuster then calls and tells me that since there "was so much property loss", she would issue a check for a few items, pay the inspectors, and labor charges, but the rest of the replaced property would have to go to a "vendor" for a price review. I explained that our replacement costs were just about the same as the cost we initially spent on our property (the property lost was less than 4 years old). The adjuster then asked if I could supply my original purchase receipts to "assist in evaluating the worth". I thought this was odd, but since I had my original purchase receipts, had the signed affidavit, and knew our replacement costs were nearly identical, I supplied them. Then, the "vendor" report came back. What a joke. They did not, in fact pay the replacement costs, but reimbursed based on a depreciation value determined by some unknown source for each item listed on the inventory sheet.

When we called and tried to work out a solution (I was out well over $5,000, including my deductible). I was told that we were "very clearly informed" about replacement value. I cannot stress enough how untrue this explanation was. Depreciation was never a part of the conversation. "Go ahead, do your repairs and replacements and submit your receipts." That was the direction.

I spoke to a manager, who actually told me I was "obnoxious and unreasonable" and that I better be "happy with the settlement because that is all you're getting". I reported this interaction to corporate, who, although polite, offered me no recourse to dispute the decision. When I needed this company, they hung me out to dry. They misdirected, misrepresented, LIED, and then added insult to injury with the classless remarks by the claims supervisor, who conducted himself in a manner reflective of a schoolyard bully. Very disgusted and totally let down by this company.

Have had Erie Insurance for our Auto and Homeowners coverage for decades. Always had a pleasant experience with our Erie agent. Have had only one small auto claim and no homeowners claims so I think I've been pretty reliable customer of Erie's. Just recently, we had a water problem in our home and our agent suggested that perhaps we could get some help with temporary housing from Erie because my wife and I have serious health issues and the odors caused by the water problem (and mold) requires we leave our home till repairs are complete.

Our agent contacted an Erie "Property Adjuster" and that's where the trouble began. We experienced being treated rudely by the adjuster and were made to feel like we were "trying to pull something over on Erie". We had the quality of our air tested and received an extensive report from the company about what we were being exposed to. This report was emailed to the property agent but he paid no mind to it. All he did during his inspection of our home was make cocky remarks and quickly wrote us off as not having a legitimate claim. After we can return to our home and things settle down for us, we plan to research a new company for our auto and homeowners coverage.

I opened my homeowner's insurance premium today to find out that after filing a claim, my homeowners has almost doubled. I never received any notice telling me my insurance was going to increase. I pay my insurance yearly. I also have it bundled with my car insurance. I will be searching for another insurance company.

This company Erie was the worst nightmare I ever experience in life. I had been with this company for 10 years. First claim I put in for roof damage they denied it. Meanwhile this is a business. It cost me to lose my tenants due to the damage and also I had a big mortgage on this property. Erie insurance made my life a living hell when it came to my finances. They spent money fighting me to not pay the claim. The roof damage cause more damage on the inside. They investigate the claim for three months my and would not pay. My mortgage went into foreclosure due to me not being able to pay with no tenants.

The inspector lie, also the state of Illinois for insurance was on their side. I believe they were paid under the table. Never realize how the system with insurance companies is so corrupt. I would never recommend this company to my worst enemy. Imagine paying insurance for ten years and something happen and find out they will not out of all these years devastating to anyone. I don't care how they rate this a good company. It's not...

Prompt bill statements mailed to me with plenty of time for me to return payment. Excellent customer service that has knowledgeable, helpful employees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Homeowners?

Satisfied, because the one time we had a claim, we received fast response and fast payment. They are a local company. Just a phone call away. Have not investigated, but cost seems to be in line or lower than other companies.

The homeowners insurance we have is for a new double wide house, built in 2012! Insurance for these homes are hard to find? With the help of the builder and the bank whom we got our mortgage with, we were lucky to find one nearby! EN insurance is very affordable and spread out our payments for us! Very nice people!

Have been with Erie over 30 years and have had great service and would not change. They are there when you need them and are very accessible. Provide thorough information and rates.

Have had nothing but good experiences with ERIE and highly recommend them. Reasonable rates, excellent customer service. Had weather claim 3 years ago ERIE handled above my expectations.

We have never had to file a claim for homeowner but have for auto insurance with them. They were quick to respond. We have been dealing with them for over ten years. They are reasonably priced and have a great reputation. We would recommend them to anyone. They were recommended to us by others who value their business. They have a great reputation. We use them for other insurances too. They give you a special rate for bundling the insurance.

I have not had a claim in 10-13 years, but it was taken care of promptly. A few years after the claim my agent tried to get me to switch, but I felt loyal. Have been with them ever since. Can pay my payments automatically, so no hassle.

I have not needed to use my insurance for any claims as of yet. The rates seem fair enough. I hope I will never have to use them for a claim. However if I do I hope they are fair. My last Insurance company was not.

Erie provides good coverage at a reasonable rate. We have not filed a claim with them so I do not know what their claim service is like. They are a highly rated insurance company offering many different types of coverage.

They responded quickly and without any problems. The problem was fixed and the contractor paid. It was so long ago I don't remember anything else.

At one time the customer service I received was acceptable but the last few years it has been disappointing. I get notices for increases in rates with little forewarning; the agent is rarely available; the administrative personnel are not warm or very helpful; the website is bare minimum and not user friendly... basically I feel I am on my own.

They offer very good insurance with comparable expense. When I had to file my insurance claim last October, I had no problems. They fully explained everything, and helped me. I received my insurance check really quickly.

Best rates I can find, pays claims quickly. Have never had a problem with them. I've shopped other companies whose rates are always much higher for the same coverage.

Have had no problems with my current insurance company. Their billing process is easy and accurate. Claims process is very good and the agents are friendly.

The insurance cost is very minimal and seems to offer great coverage... Have never had a claim, so I cannot comment on that experience is with Erie -- I also have Erie for my auto insurance and they offer great discounts for multiple policies. I have had an auto claim and it was handled very well and efficiently, so I would assume their homeowner's claim experience would be similar. I have a local agent who is always very easy to reach with any questions.

The agents are very pleasant to deal with. They were very helpful with our property and my father's. We had filed a claim years ago as a result of an ice storm. The adjuster came out very quickly to examine the damage. The claim was processed quickly and we received payment. But we hadn't found all the damage and had to contact him again. He promptly came back out and we received an additional check. I would recommend them.

Last March, I had a lot of water damage from snow sitting on my roof. It affected all 3 floors of my house. Erie sent an adjuster to my house... He was very professional. IT took 5 weeks to get my claim approved. Though I was satisfied with the amount of money, I did not actually get my check until mid May. It seemed like a long time to have to live with so much damage.

We have had our homeowners insurance with Erie for many years. I had one time that I had to put in a claim for wind damage. They were very fast with the claim and I got what I was supposed to have with my claim. Always a very friendly and helpful company.

I've been with Erie insurance for 20 plus years. I've had a few claims and they were very prompt in getting things done in a timely manner. The rates are very good to what I've shopped around for. They have several payment plans that will fit anyone's budget. You get a discount for having home and auto. They also have some excellent life policies that are priced good, including life for children. The customer service people know me and my family. It's nice to deal with a small agency that is committed to customer satisfaction. Would highly recommend to family and friends.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Erie Insurance has been in business for close to a century. Serving Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland and the District of Columbia, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The company provides homeowners and renters with coverage for several types of dwellings including houses, apartments, condominiums and manufactured homes.

• Personalized local service: Local agents compile a policy that fits each homeowner's or renter's needs. Claims can easily be made by contacting the same local agent that knows the area and culture.
  • Expanded policies: They offer policies that can be expanded to include personal property against damage and theft. High value items such as computers, jewelry and electronics can be added to policies as well as everyday items.
  • Competitive pricing and discounts: Competitive pricing options ensure that all customers get the coverage they need and want. Multiple discounts are available to new and existing customers, including multi-policy discounts and credits for safety systems such as burglar alarms and sprinkler systems.
  • Plus policy: With their Plus policy, they waive deductibles when losses total more than $50,000, and offer higher limits for debris removal and other disaster-related expenses.
  • Peace of mind: In the event property loss makes temporary relocation necessary, living expenses related to relocation are covered.
  • Best for New homeowners and those who are residents of an Eastern or Central state.

Compare Homeowners Insurance