4.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

66 Erie Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

The paperwork is easy. The prices are cheaper too. Local branch is near my residence and I trust them to give me the best quotes there are. The local office is great and easy to get a hold of. They have friendly office staff and they always walk me through all the paperwork and fees. They treat my family like one of their own.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I filed claims for damages and wasn't paid enough to make repairs. Erie dropped my homeowners insurance after 12 years because I did not like the color green and painted them black with roof paint. As a general contractor myself, I am well abreast to standards and material applications. I believe I was discriminated against for being ** and knowledgeable about insurance ripoffs.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have never had problem with them, they are a good company. They offer everything that I ask for in an insurance company, they cover everything that I ask for. They cover my entire home, basement included, outbuildings included, along with autos. They offer discounts home and auto. I have had good luck when having to make claims. We have had two claims, and each time, they were quick and sent out adjusters to check out the issues for our home problems, problems solved quickly. I have an independent insurance agent whom handles numerous companies. With this we can compare more than one company when shopping for companies at one stop shopping without traveling from company to company. This company gives me the best for what I need to cover my home and autos, I have good service with this company.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Everything has been good with the company we chose and they have not raised rates or change anything on me. It's local and I was recommended to them from my loan officer and they offered the best option on homeowners insurance compared to the other companies I checked out. I can combine auto to it for a better price and they are good at responding to any question I would have at the time and the payment option I was able to chose. Erie is a really good company.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I selected this insurance company because I personally know the representative so I feel like he is someone that I can trust, and also because this company offered me the best price on my home insurance. The only thing I really dislike about my insurance company or policy, though, is the amount that the premium increases every year. I think it goes up more than it should be allowed to increase. It is crazy!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Erie Homeowners?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Originally I chose Erie because of their coverage and price and I continue to use them because of their service and their price. Additionally, they beat all of the other companies when I compared prices. Plus their service is great. I also like their local agent.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Erie gave the best monthly fees with the same coverage as other insurance companies that I had checked in the state of California in the southern region. The flood insurance was very inexpensive because the area I live in in California was not an area that floods due to the fact that it does not rain a lot in this state. However, I did not like that they would not cover some of the damage I incurred during a rainstorm where my floors had mildew damage in the state of California. Still, I was very satisfied with this company.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

They have good rates, good coverage, great agent who was very personable and informative. They got good customer service. Changing companies was easy and the turnaround from former company to Erie was smooth and easy. The price of yearly rates and coverage were a lot cheaper. However, wish deductible and rates was lower and coverage was higher.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

They are lower than all the other bids I got, and they responded to a roof problem before the first payment was made. I have referred them to lots of my friends and some have switched already to this company. Adjustors came soon and took care of biz immediately. Maybe I could change the payment by doing it electronic through my checking account. Other than that, I believe Erie has opened an office near me now in Cordova, Tn and probably will get better service locally now. That would be great also.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

When we were checking policies the one we had was way overpriced compared to the one we have now. The insurance agents are very helpful and always willing to listen to all your complaints about the storms and damage that they do. Erie is always there to help 24/7. Good insurance... During the Flood of 2006 we lost all the food in our freezer and they replaced most of it. No questions asked. The insurance Company policy is pretty accurate. Covers everything... Only takes a few days versus weeks to get your money when filing a claim. Also, their office is local compared to the other Insurance Company.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Fantastic policy at great prices. They provided me the best quote for the most coverage at the least cost and with a reasonably low deductible. I also got a local agent and a multiple policy discount. The policy should though cover everything no matter what it is that can happen to a home. Any homeowners policy should be inclusive of every possibility without trying to nickel and dime us things like flood, hurricane, earthquake or sinkhole add ons. But the company has increased my coverage annually to keep up with increased costs to replace. It also provided complete replacement coverage at current requirements instead of just the cost to replace as it was.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I get a good deal and bundle with this company. They're understanding and willing to work to get you everything you need. Nancy is an absolute delight!! However, my house insurance prices are constantly fluctuating. So one year I may not owe the insurance company any extra and the next I owe them $100 for $150. I don't always have extra money to just toss out at someone and it's an complete inconvenience. But other than that, Erie is a caring and friendly company. They are always looking out for me not themselves. I love this company!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Erie has the best rates and are very easy to deal with when filing a claim. Additionally, they have the best rates for auto insurance. My local agent is very easy to deal with when addressing issues. The rates have continually increased over the last 12 years though. I understand why they do because of claims submitted to them but they should give discounts for people that don't have claims. Still, their rates are better than other companies. The bundling of auto insurance and homeowners insurance saves you money.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Erie has good prices, better than average coverage limits, and fast claim service. I have never had any issues or bad experiences with their service. So, I have been very happy with them over the years. Plus I have ability to combine homeowners insurance with my with auto policy and receive a discount.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

We had checked with many other insurances and Erie was by far the best coverage and best price for us. Also, our agent was good. The cost of insurances are way too high for all though and I would love to see lower prices and rewards for not using it or for no accidents rewards or for no homeowners claims, especially for many years.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Erie has competitive rates and good coverage. They are local and are very responsive if there is a question, or if a claim is filed. We've been with them for over 30 years and they have always been there for us when we had a problem or filed a claim.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Our parents used Erie insurance and when it came time to purchase insurance as a married couple, we took their advice. We have had the same insurance for the last 25 years. We bundle our home and auto insurance for a better rate and it’s overall easier to just deal with one insurance provider for several types of policies. Wish there didn't have to be a hesitation on our part for making a claim for fear of an increase in rate. Reimbursement for claims can at time be slow. Our local Erie insurance broker isn’t the best. They are not good at follow up when you call for questions or assistance.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

The price was good/fair for the amount of coverage we wanted/needed. Plus, our insurance rates are "bundled" so our insurance agent picks the best policy for us at the time of issuance. They also give prompt, courteous service, and are available 24 hours a day if you need assistance. Having to deal with courteous representatives is a plus in this busy, hectic world. Allowing the customer more flexibility when choosing deductibles would be nice though. Quick claims services are always appreciated too. Having someone who you feel is on your side, and not working against you, makes the client(s) feel appreciated as well.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have flood insurance. It coverage my home for water damage. Erie has low cost for the coverage which when the bill comes due the cost is not too expensive as it is priced controlled. Erie is the only company I found that covers flood and that will cover anything without having a lot of things that they won't cover. But I don't think it covers a lot. I feel that I should have more coverage but I can't find anyone to come out to my home and do a proper price quote.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

It was very easy to get insurance through Erie. I was able to put both my car and my home on the same policy and saved some money doing so. The price is a bit high for the policy that I have but most all insurance companies are expensive because of people who do not get it. We have to pay for it. But so far so good. Erie also has a local office near me so I can always go there if there is a problem. It will also be easy to file a claim if I have to do so.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have had three major claims with Erie. One was for a full roof replacement. The other two were automobile claims (same company). The claims were handled efficiently and very fairly. Their prices could be a little lower though. They tend to be about 10% higher than other. Also they should have local agents to deal with. But overall, I am satisfied since paying claims is what it's all about as a purchaser.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I was married for 28 years and his family always had Erie, so we went with them. After I divorced this man, I just kept the same insurance and the same agent. I never had any home claims in that time, it wasn't until I moved 5 years ago that this house seems to have a lot of issues, and Erie has always come through for me. I have had 3 floods in my basement in the last 4 years and as soon as I called, they sent an agent to inspect damage and worked with me and disaster teams to get my house back to way it was. I do not live in a flood zone, so when I called this last time in June, I was told I don't have flood insurance even though my policy increased this year. But they did put a clause in it that when an agent stopped to survey damage, they were able to provide me with the maximum amount of coverage they could, which helped.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

They cooperate with me on payments every year and they always help me out. The premium is high though. Around here, there are not many choices and with somebody else choosing the insurance we pay what they tell us. But they are great and they do the best they can to help the people around here.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Erie insurance is conveniently located in my neighbor. They have provided excellent service to myself and many of my family and friends. They seem to always have the best pricing compared to other insurance agencies. I have had Erie insurance for over 5 years and have never had a bad experience! Coverage is also excellent. Their customer service is always a pleasant experience! If I have questions or concerns Erie is always available or gets back to me usually the same day. If I am not available to talk on the phone they will email me to ensure my satisfaction. I wish they would cover more outside projects and damage like retaining walls, yard flooding, dangerous trees, etc. Other than that I do not have any complaints or dislikes about Erie insurance. They are always helpful when I need them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I'm satisfied with Erie. I use an independent agent who offers a number of different insurance companies. This is how I decided to get a policy with Erie and they had the best price. State Farm, Liberty Mutual and Farmers were significantly more expensive. I don't know though if Erie Insurance offers automobile insurance so I have insurance on my car with another company. So, I don't get a discount for bundling both types of insurance. But I hope that if I ever have to file a claim it will be handled quickly and thoroughly.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Erie is an umbrella policy which is what we wanted because it has everything in one place. We worked through an independent agent. He helped us get a policy from a company that gave us a good price for more coverage and covered everything. But I had to get flood insurance from another company and would love to have everything in one policy. Erie should cut down on paperwork and more than one or two visits. Things are hard enough when you going through a claim and you have no idea what's going on. I like a company that is fast and easy to deal with without tons of paperwork.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Been with Erie for over 20 yrs and only had to file one claim for a small bump up. No speeding tickets, no home claims, nothing. Then we finally needed them for a retaining wall that collapsed during a hurricane. They claimed just by looking at it that it was water that caused the collapse. They just looked at it. No investigation, no digging. They did send an engineer out and he looked at it. I did a little digging with a stick he found lying on the ground. Couldn't even use modern tools, a freaking shovel. He used a broken stick. I told them it was the 300lb limbs that fell out of the trees that caused the wall to tumble. They claimed because there was "earth movement" then it had to be water.

Of course there is "earth movement'. That's the purpose of the wall, to hold back the dirt. Just plain ignorance. They just did not want to pay the claim. So I would steer far from them. And they can't keep an agent for more than a year. I had at least 5 different agents within that time frame. The last one was bought out by Partners Insurance in Lake Norman NC. They are as useless at Erie.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

It was easy to get. I applied for a mortgage and it was all taken care of for me and the payments come out of escrow. However, I made one claim and it took them a long time to get to me. Also, I would like flood insurance but can't get it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I already had an auto policy with Erie Insurance so when I needed insurance for my home that I purchased it just made sense to have both policies under Erie to save money. Erie Insurance has a very reasonably priced insurance policy for homeowners. The policy has not gone up very much over the several years that I have had which makes it very affordable and comforting.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had a flood due to a burst pipe in my house. I called the claims hotline at 9:00 pm to report the incident. I received a call from the claims adjuster at 8 the next morning. After describing the incident, the adjuster explained how the process would proceed and what to expect. Erie had a restoration crew in my house by 10 am to begin the drying process. After completing the dry out, the adjuster evaluated the damage, estimated restoration costs and authorized the repairs. I had my first check 3 days later. Upon completion of the repairs, I submitted invoices and receipts and had my final check within a few days. The Erie employees were great to deal with and made a very stressful situation bearable. I highly recommend this company.

Erie Homeowners expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Erie Insurance has been in business for close to a century. Serving Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland and the District of Columbia, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The company provides homeowners and renters with coverage for several types of dwellings including houses, apartments, condominiums and manufactured homes.

• Personalized local service: Local agents compile a policy that fits each homeowner's or renter's needs. Claims can easily be made by contacting the same local agent that knows the area and culture.

• Expanded policies: They offer policies that can be expanded to include personal property against damage and theft. High value items such as computers, jewelry and electronics can be added to policies as well as everyday items.

• Competitive pricing and discounts: Competitive pricing options ensure that all customers get the coverage they need and want. Multiple discounts are available to new and existing customers, including multi-policy discounts and credits for safety systems such as burglar alarms and sprinkler systems.

• Plus policy: With their Plus policy, they waive deductibles when losses total more than $50,000, and offer higher limits for debris removal and other disaster-related expenses.

• Peace of mind: In the event property loss makes temporary relocation necessary, living expenses related to relocation are covered.

• Best for: New homeowners and those who are residents of an Eastern or Central state.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky