Policygenius Disability Insurance Learn More
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.93/5

Policygenius offers live advice to help you decide how much coverage you need before you buy. At Policygenius, the mission is to make this a simple, easy process from start to finish.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Policygenius Disability Insurance simplifies the shopping process with clear instructions and an easy-to-use tool. Agents help clarify what the tool does not. Though Policygenius doesn’t require medical exams, the insurer may.

PROS

• Clear explanations
  • Evaluates 17 providers
  • Simple quote tool

CONS

• May require medical exams

Top Policygenius Disability Insurance Reviews

Policygenius has excellent customer service, is very dependable, dedicated to the cause, extremely knowledgeable, and willing to go the extra mile to achieve the desired results of the client. I am beyond impressed with my experience and will be referring Policygenius to everyone!

I had no idea how much I was going to need this team to help me work through all the details. I am very grateful for how professional, detailed and efficient they were in helping me. I would recommend this company for sure.

Policygenius Disability Insurance Learn More

How does Policygenius Disability Insurance work?

Policygenius' agents know that insurance is confusing and full of jargon and unclear pricing. To make the disability insurance shopping experience simple, Policygenius built an easy-to-use tool with clear definitions and a simple interface to guide customers to the best option.

Customers fill in basic information about their age, health, career and coverage needs, and Policygenius gives a quote range for disability insurance policies in less than five minutes. At each step of the questionnaire, Policygenius provides simple definitions for terms that customers may not understand and makes recommendations for coverage options. Policygenius presents the best quotes after scanning 17 trustworthy providers. Some recommended companies may need further information and medical exam results before locking in a specific price.

For any customers who still have questions, Policygenius has a learning center for disability insurance that answers common questions about coverage and cost. Customers can also reach Policygenius representatives by chat, phone or email almost any time of day. They can help you understand your options and help you find the most cost-effective plan for your needs.

Can I trust the disability insurance companies Policygenius recommends?

Yes, all of Policygenius' partners have an excellent reputation for customer service and a long-standing history of financial stability. Policygenius only provides quotes for disability insurance from:

• Ameritas
  • The Standard
  • Thrivent
  • Unum

Policygenius Disability Insurance coverage options

Although not a disability insurance provider, Policygenius' aggregator tool provides customers with coverage options. The tool connects them with the most economical providers with the right amount of coverage. Policygenius allows customers to choose coverage preferences for:

• Waiting period: Instead of a deductible, disability insurance providers require customers to wait for a period of 30, 60, 90, 180 or 365 days before receiving coverage. The shorter the waiting period, the more expensive the plan. Policygenius generally recommends that customers select the 90-day wait period.
  • Monthly benefit: If you cannot work, you receive a monthly payout that equals a certain percentage of your pretax income. If you want a higher payout, you need to pay a higher monthly premium. Policygenius allows customers to choose up to 60%, which is the amount the company recommends.
  • Benefit period: An injury or health problem can come at any time, so Policygenius recommends choosing a plan that lasts until retirement. However, some customers want the lower premiums that come with limited-time coverage. With Policygenius, customers can choose coverage for two, five or 10 years or until retirement at 65 or 67.
  • Riders: Policygenius offers add-ons that increase the price but add further protection. These include:
    • Own occupation disability insurance covers disabled persons if their injury precludes them from working in their specific industry but allows them to work in another.
    • Residual disability policies cover disabilities that inhibit one or more of your occupational duties and result in a significant loss of income.
    • A non-cancelable insurance policy ensures that an insurer cannot cancel, increase premiums of or reduce the benefits of a policy as long as the policyholder continues to pay premiums.
    • Future purchase option allows you to increase your monthly benefit amount annually when your income increases.

How much does Policygenius Disability Insurance cost?

Disability insurance bought through Policygenius typically costs between $30 and $700 per month, depending on personal information and coverage needs. In general, people with high coverage and a higher likelihood of becoming disabled pay more than the average. Younger people with healthy living habits and an accident-free career have the lowest rates. In contrast, older, less healthy people with dangerous jobs have higher premiums.

Though age, career and health are not often in your control, you can cut monthly premiums with coverage options. With long waiting periods, low monthly benefits, short benefit periods and minimal riders added, you can significantly lower premiums.

However, cutting out too many benefits could be problematic if you don’t end up getting the coverage that you need. We recommend sticking to middle-ground benefits for generous coverage at a reasonable price.

Policygenius Disability Insurance FAQ

Is Policygenius a disability insurance provider?
No, Policygenius is an independent broker for disability insurance. The company provides customers with the lowest quotes from national providers.
Are the providers recommended by Policygenius actually good?
Yes. Policygenius only provides quotes from companies that have great reputations for customer service and financial stability. When Policygenius agents recommend policies, they’re providing the lowest prices from top companies.
Does Policygenius require a medical exam for disability insurance?
Policygenius does not require customers to get a medical exam to get a quote, but the provider may require one before activating the plan. If you answer health questions honestly when getting a quote, Policygenius quote ranges are accurate in most cases — even before a medical exam.

Do we recommend Policygenius Disability Insurance?

For those who want affordable disability insurance quotes in less than five minutes, Policygenius is the right choice. Because Policygenius evaluates 17 insurance providers, you have a wide selection of policies with the lowest price points. Customer service representatives are available by online chat, email or phone to answer any questions.

Policygenius Disability Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I highly recommend working with Policygenius for obtaining disability income insurance. The website has a ton of useful information, the application process is simple and efficient, the team is knowledgeable and communicative, and overall I had very positive experience. I was able to quickly receive quotes, make an informed decision (with input from their people), complete the application process, and successfully obtain my policy in a short time period. Very thankful for Policygenius and its wonderful team.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

The process with Policy genius was overall easy and painless. I feel that I got the best price that I could in the market. I would recommend policy genius to anyone looking for insurance coverage. The team was always responsive and easy to get in contact with.

Policygenius Disability Insurance response

William, thanks for the kind words. We're happy we were able to be able to provide you great pricing! - Theresa S.

Original review: July 27, 2019

This isn't an actual insurance company, but also they aren't just a simple lead gen website that hands your data over for insurance companies to call you.Instead, they have a very nice simple frontend that helped me learn about coverage options, get quotes, and then make the process as seamless as possible. I'll definitely be using them again for other insurance shopping needs.

Policygenius Disability Insurance response

Thank you for the review, Phil. We are so pleased you found our service easy to navigate! - Theresa S.

Original review: July 20, 2019

Policygenius team - Anthony **, Jake, and Jenny were all great at reaching out to me to let me know the timeline. When I had questions, they all promptly responded. I couldn't ask for better communicators. When Ameritas became difficult because of my two preexisting conditions and I was getting frustrated as I and my doctors felt the conditions were mild, Anthony recommended that we try out Principal, which is what I ended up going with. I felt like I had a lot of questions that I was asking Anthony and he took the time to answer and address all my concerns, which I am super appreciative of.

The insurance policy itself - I'm hoping the additional riders won't affect me in the future. I totally understand that insurance companies need to protect themselves from preexisting conditions and people who may abuse the system. I wish there was a way for the insurance company to send me to their doctors to evaluate me so they can realize the extent of my "preexisting condition." I wonder how older people are eligible for coverage. But I know this is the insurance industry as a whole, and not something that Policygenius can control. I would definitely recommend Policygenius to anyone who is looking for long term disability insurance!

Policygenius Disability Insurance response

Thank you, Kim! We are happy to hear you were pleased with our process and communication! - Theresa S.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I found Policygenius online and didn't know anyone who used them. They were amazing!! I had to get a small private policy to keep my group policy (a law changed) and they worked so hard to get me approved quickly from a good company at a fair rate. The service was flawless and each agent was so attentive and kind. They had great notes so it didn't matter who I spoke with, they always knew where we were in the process. I have had agents in the past and these people were all the best. I would not hesitate to recommend them. I had a few bumps along the way with my medical records and I was not sure I would be approved but they helped me to contact the company and work it all out. For such a small policy, I was amazed how much work they put in and always made me feel like a very valued customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Policygenius Disability Insurance?

Original review: April 4, 2020

Overall the experience was very positive! Updates relative to the status of application were frequently received and the staff provided assistance through all steps of the process. I would strongly recommend the service for anyone seeking this important backup coverage.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Working with Policygenius was very simple -- I found them to be quite helpful in navigating through all the elements of the process and incredible knowledgable about the questions I had. Their platform was easy to use and they were accessible and responsive. A big thanks to Oreno for all of his help!

Original review: March 8, 2020

I was really impressed with the ease of the application process as well as the responsiveness and expertise of the PolicyGenius staff in answering my questions throughout the process. I was pleasantly surprised that the PolicyGenius staff regularly updated me on the status of the application and paperwork with the insurance provider.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Policy Genius did a great job of helping me understand my policy options and keeping track of my application process for long-term disability insurance. I was very pleased with the service, professionalism, and speed of response they provided. I intend to use them again when I am looking for future insurance policies (auto, life, etc.). Thanks, PG team!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Policygenius looks out for their customers ensuring they get the right policy and the right cost. They make the entire process seamless and are patient with your questions to ensure your policy is fit for you. I enjoyed working with them.

Policygenius Disability Insurance Company Information