Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.71/5

Policygenius offers live advice to help you decide how much coverage you need before you buy. At Policygenius, the mission is to make this a simple, easy process from start to finish.

BOTTOM LINE

Policygenius Disability Insurance simplifies the shopping process with clear instructions and an easy-to-use tool. Agents help clarify what the tool does not. Though Policygenius doesn’t require medical exams, the insurer may.

PROS

• Clear explanations
  • Evaluates 17 providers
  • Simple quote tool

CONS

• May require medical exams

Top Policygenius Disability Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Policygenius Disability Insurance?

Policygenius has excellent customer service, is very dependable, dedicated to the cause, extremely knowledgeable, and willing to go the extra mile to achieve the desired results of the client. I am beyond impressed with my experience and will be referring Policygenius to everyone!

I had no idea how much I was going to need this team to help me work through all the details. I am very grateful for how professional, detailed and efficient they were in helping me. I would recommend this company for sure.

How does Policygenius Disability Insurance work?

Policygenius' agents know that insurance is confusing and full of jargon and unclear pricing. To make the disability insurance shopping experience simple, Policygenius built an easy-to-use tool with clear definitions and a simple interface to guide customers to the best option.

Customers fill in basic information about their age, health, career and coverage needs, and Policygenius gives a quote range for disability insurance policies in less than five minutes. At each step of the questionnaire, Policygenius provides simple definitions for terms that customers may not understand and makes recommendations for coverage options. Policygenius presents the best quotes after scanning 17 trustworthy providers. Some recommended companies may need further information and medical exam results before locking in a specific price.

For any customers who still have questions, Policygenius has a learning center for disability insurance that answers common questions about coverage and cost. Customers can also reach Policygenius representatives by chat, phone or email almost any time of day. They can help you understand your options and help you find the most cost-effective plan for your needs.

Can I trust the disability insurance companies Policygenius recommends?

Yes, all of Policygenius' partners have an excellent reputation for customer service and a long-standing history of financial stability. Policygenius only provides quotes for disability insurance from:

• Ameritas
  • The Standard
  • Thrivent
  • Unum

Policygenius Disability Insurance coverage options

Although not a disability insurance provider, Policygenius' aggregator tool provides customers with coverage options. The tool connects them with the most economical providers with the right amount of coverage. Policygenius allows customers to choose coverage preferences for:

• Waiting period: Instead of a deductible, disability insurance providers require customers to wait for a period of 30, 60, 90, 180 or 365 days before receiving coverage. The shorter the waiting period, the more expensive the plan. Policygenius generally recommends that customers select the 90-day wait period.
  • Monthly benefit: If you cannot work, you receive a monthly payout that equals a certain percentage of your pretax income. If you want a higher payout, you need to pay a higher monthly premium. Policygenius allows customers to choose up to 60%, which is the amount the company recommends.
  • Benefit period: An injury or health problem can come at any time, so Policygenius recommends choosing a plan that lasts until retirement. However, some customers want the lower premiums that come with limited-time coverage. With Policygenius, customers can choose coverage for two, five or 10 years or until retirement at 65 or 67.
  • Riders: Policygenius offers add-ons that increase the price but add further protection. These include:
    • Own occupation disability insurance covers disabled persons if their injury precludes them from working in their specific industry but allows them to work in another.
    • Residual disability policies cover disabilities that inhibit one or more of your occupational duties and result in a significant loss of income.
    • A non-cancelable insurance policy ensures that an insurer cannot cancel, increase premiums of or reduce the benefits of a policy as long as the policyholder continues to pay premiums.
    • Future purchase option allows you to increase your monthly benefit amount annually when your income increases.

How much does Policygenius Disability Insurance cost?

Disability insurance bought through Policygenius typically costs between $30 and $700 per month, depending on personal information and coverage needs. In general, people with high coverage and a higher likelihood of becoming disabled pay more than the average. Younger people with healthy living habits and an accident-free career have the lowest rates. In contrast, older, less healthy people with dangerous jobs have higher premiums.

Though age, career and health are not often in your control, you can cut monthly premiums with coverage options. With long waiting periods, low monthly benefits, short benefit periods and minimal riders added, you can significantly lower premiums.

However, cutting out too many benefits could be problematic if you don’t end up getting the coverage that you need. We recommend sticking to middle-ground benefits for generous coverage at a reasonable price.

Policygenius Disability Insurance FAQ

Is Policygenius a disability insurance provider?
No, Policygenius is an independent broker for disability insurance. The company provides customers with the lowest quotes from national providers.
Are the providers recommended by Policygenius actually good?
Yes. Policygenius only provides quotes from companies that have great reputations for customer service and financial stability. When Policygenius agents recommend policies, they’re providing the lowest prices from top companies.
Does Policygenius require a medical exam for disability insurance?
Policygenius does not require customers to get a medical exam to get a quote, but the provider may require one before activating the plan. If you answer health questions honestly when getting a quote, Policygenius quote ranges are accurate in most cases — even before a medical exam.

Do we recommend Policygenius Disability Insurance?

For those who want affordable disability insurance quotes in less than five minutes, Policygenius is the right choice. Because Policygenius evaluates 17 insurance providers, you have a wide selection of policies with the lowest price points. Customer service representatives are available by online chat, email or phone to answer any questions.

Policygenius Disability Insurance Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2020

I was researching disability insurance and came across Policygenius on my Google search. It was very straightforward and clear in asking me what I was looking for and I promptly received 4 quotes from 4 different companies as well as the recommendation for which company they would recommend that had all I was looking for at the best price. I was a little slow on responding back and was continuing to do my own research on what exactly I wanted in a policy, and they were more than happy to talk to me on the phone on my schedule and clarify any questions on what I was shopping for. Ultimately ended up selecting a company and policy slightly more expensive than the one they recommended and after a brief phone call interview and few documents signed I now own an individual policy that overall took about a month of time! Overall an extremely easy process and I would have no hesitation in recommending policygenius in shopping for insurance!

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2020

My PolicyGenius experience was a breeze. During the same time period that I got long-term disability insurance through PolicyGenius, I was getting another kind of insurance with a different broker, and by comparison, my experience with PolicyGenius was much more enjoyable! PolicyGenius is well organized, communicates status updates, was prompt with next steps, and contacted the insurance provider directly on my behalf multiple times when I had very detailed questions. I also spoke with PolicyGenius agents quite a few times over chat and phone with concerns and questions. They were fantastic at explaining details and helping me feel comfortable. They never made me feel dumb for having lots of questions. I will definitely use PolicyGenius in the future to shop for insurance.

Original review: April 17, 2020

Policy Genius paid attention to details and got me the best deal. They backdated my application by a few weeks to put me in the age bracket where I would get lower rates, even though I dropped the ball and didn't get back to them for like forever once my application was approved. Also, the people I dealt with were good listeners and took time to find out answers to some questions I had about the policy I was considering. Thanks Policy Genius.

Original review: July 27, 2019

This isn't an actual insurance company, but also they aren't just a simple lead gen website that hands your data over for insurance companies to call you.Instead, they have a very nice simple frontend that helped me learn about coverage options, get quotes, and then make the process as seamless as possible. I'll definitely be using them again for other insurance shopping needs.

Policygenius Disability Insurance response

Thank you for the review, Phil. We are so pleased you found our service easy to navigate! - Theresa S.

Original review: July 20, 2019

Policygenius team - Anthony **, Jake, and Jenny were all great at reaching out to me to let me know the timeline. When I had questions, they all promptly responded. I couldn't ask for better communicators. When Ameritas became difficult because of my two preexisting conditions and I was getting frustrated as I and my doctors felt the conditions were mild, Anthony recommended that we try out Principal, which is what I ended up going with. I felt like I had a lot of questions that I was asking Anthony and he took the time to answer and address all my concerns, which I am super appreciative of.

The insurance policy itself - I'm hoping the additional riders won't affect me in the future. I totally understand that insurance companies need to protect themselves from preexisting conditions and people who may abuse the system. I wish there was a way for the insurance company to send me to their doctors to evaluate me so they can realize the extent of my "preexisting condition." I wonder how older people are eligible for coverage. But I know this is the insurance industry as a whole, and not something that Policygenius can control. I would definitely recommend Policygenius to anyone who is looking for long term disability insurance!

Policygenius Disability Insurance response

Thank you, Kim! We are happy to hear you were pleased with our process and communication! - Theresa S.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Had a pleasant experience getting my long-term disability insurance policy. Agents were professional and friendly. They were patient in answering questions. No up-selling or trying to get me to buy other products. I got the product and coverage I wanted. Thanks!

Original review: May 21, 2020

Faced with the daunting task of shopping for disability insurance, I turned to the Internet. Luckily I was lead to Policygenius! The experience was fantastic. Everyone was nice, patient, well-informed, and easy to deal with. I learned a great deal about the products available and which features were most important to me. I feel like I got great coverage at a very reasonable price. Thank you to all the staff at Policygenius for helping me through the process!

Original review: May 15, 2020

The team is very friendly and polite. The issue is when things start to slow in movement. Unfortunately they resort to excessive texting, phone calls and emails daily. Because of this I would not recommend you all to a friend unless they were able to dedicate time to this on a daily basis.

Original review: April 14, 2020

This team made a very confusing process simple and straightforward. We worked through several changes and they always were there to guide and help me. Rapid response time and easy to set up phone meetings to further discuss questions. Took the stress out of applying for disability insurance. 10/10 recommend!

Original review: April 14, 2020

It was really nice working with a company like Policygenius to hold my hand through a process I knew nothing about. They stuck with me from the very beginning to the very end and helped me find a policy to fit my needs. Thank you so much Policygenius team!

Policygenius Disability Insurance Company Information