Liberty Mutual - Disability

Liberty Mutual - Disability

4.0/5 (548 ratings)

About Liberty Mutual - Disability

Liberty Mutual offers several insurance types, including auto, rental and home, throughout the U.S. The company provides competitively priced home insurance, as well as add-on natural disaster coverage and discount options for new homes and policy bundling. Its user-friendly online platform makes it easy to request a quote and start a new policy.

Liberty Mutual - Disability Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual - Disability?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I broke my ankle at work eight months ago. I've been feeling fine for a while now, but the orthopedic doctor told me it was customary for worker's comp to do a final visit seven months out. I had this appointment scheduled for three months. I had x-rays done and a consultation. As I was walking out of the doctor's office, the front desk informed me that my worker's comp case had been closed and I should contact Liberty Mutual immediately to have the case reopened. I attempted to contact Liberty Mutual and have been completely ignored.

While searching my emails for any possible notifications that had possibly gone unseen, I found an email in my spam folder from four months ago informing me they had overpaid me one day and asking me to mail them a check. I got no phone calls or written notice about this at all. Now for some reason I am completely unable to login to my account. The sad part about all this is that I didn't want or need that final doctor's visit at all, I was just doing it because I thought Liberty Mutual needed me to in order to close the claim. I want Liberty Mutual to reopen the claim and see it through to its proper end. This has created unnecessary stress at a time when I have more than enough.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

My husband has not received the last 4 workmen's comp checks. The rep keeps saying they're in the mail. It's a mail problem. This is unacceptable. People rely on this money to live and the company is doing nothing to fix the problem. Maybe send the checks a different way for now. This is not the first time their checks were not sent on time. It is their job to provide checks, they do not do that in a timely manner and should figure out a way to make sure it happens.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2020

My company I've worked for 20 years has Liberty Insurance for their long term benefits. I have Stage 4 breast cancer. I was contacted by a lawyer on behalf of Liberty to file for Social Security as soon as my long term disability took effect. They wanted to "offset" the cost of how much they had to pay me and the way it was written and told to me they would be paying the lawyer (they did not) and the money I owe them since I started getting Social Security was the total amount they paid me. So I paid for long term insurance and now owe them $2370!! It was made to sound like they wouldn't have to pay as much since Social Security would 'offset' their costs. That was explained to me by their lawyer and being stupid I believed they were actually legit. So they and the lawyers they hired took advantage of a terminal diseased person.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I was injured at work nearly 4 years ago and my company uses Liberty Mutual for LTD. I've gone through 6 weeks of physical therapy, had 7 xrays, 2 different doctors and 2 epidurals all within my first year of injury. Nothing has helped the pain, not even my pain medication. My Neurosurgeon ordered me to see a pre-surgery psychologist before surgery because of my PTSD I assume. Well, I saw a psychologist and we clashed because he was just there to evaluate me and he was trying to take me in as a monthly patient plus it was an hour and a half drive to see him and he was itching to send me to a buddy of his that was only 30 minutes from my house, the minute I walked in because he said driving an hour and a half in pain was stressful.

So I left and never heard anything else until 15 months later when my claim worker from Liberty Mutual called and said I would have to find my own psychologist and use my Medicaid to pay for it because a psychologist wasnt covered in my plaid. I know, makes no sense at all. So I finally found a psychologist and he told me to contact my Neurosurgeon and get details about the surgery so the psychologist and I could discuss the procedure. I called my Neurosurgeon only to find out workers comp terminated them from being my Neurosurgeon. About a year ago I sent my WC claim worker with a long email mentioning my situation and going on to say that I'm in constant pain daily and that I'm human, I have a family to take care of, I've gone $30K in debt from being on workers comp and that I need my surgery bad but she never responded.

I used to have a different claim worker but she got sick so about 3 and a half years ago I got the claim worker I have now and when we spoke on the phone for the first time we butted heads and just mysteriously my checks stopped coming in. After 6 weeks of no checks I contacted her boss and we had a 3 way conversation. They overnighted my 3rd check then 2 days later my other 2 checks from a month and a month and a half prior, just mysteriously popped up in my mailbox 3 days after talking to her and her boss. I know she had them, it's too big of a coincidence in my opinion. I have sent my claim worker many emails that she just ignored and the only time I hear from her is when she needs something. We've literally spoke on the phone 4 times in 4 years. I'm just left here hanging in pain every day and she has made zero efforts to get me my surgery.

This is so stressful and traumatic and has caused very high anxiety which causes me to take things out on my family instead of liberty mutual. I went from a workaholic to a stay at home dad. I've also gained 40 lbs because I hurt too much to exercise and I dont want to go work out and a detective take pictures of me working out and my shady claim worker cancelling my workers comp saying I look fine to them. I need this back surgery so bad and my claim worker is the only thing keeping me from getting it. She is causing high anxiety, depression, high tension, emotional distress and prolonged nerve and back pain which could potentially cause permanent nerve damage due to her neglect. I bet if I were **, I'd be back at work by now. Just Saying...

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I have been on STD for heart and kidney failure, for 3 months after sending reams of paperwork from my Dr offices to get approved the checks began arriving, then they were short one day here and there, then stopped arriving. My case manager said updates were needed from my Drs on my conditions. I contacted my Drs also and they have sent the info that my condition has not improved and I am ready to begin dialysis, and am on the heart and kidney transplant list. The case manager says they are reviewing my case to see if I still qualify for STD. My company has 50,000 employees, this is a scam and a class action suit needs to be started. Go to another company for insurance.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Went out of work June 2018 for a off the job illness. Denials were sent on every option they had. Example: didn't get doctors report, After research found out that they never paid record company for records. Then denied me because I didn't have enough work time in at company, I had been there 20 years. They continue to deny my STD but they approved my LTD on the same illness. After a year and a 1/2 I had a appeal hearing with the WCB which they failed to appear at so hearing went on without them. Outcome was in my favor with extra penalties being imposed and decision made final.

It's now over 30 days and Liberty Mutual has failed to answer WCB or even pay me. They believe that claimants are just going to give up and they keep more money in their pockets. Even my long term they send me late. It's too be mailed on the 1st but sometimes never get it until the 14th. They claim it's the postal service. When in truth every day they can hold on to your money the more profitable it is to them. Keep fighting. The best advise is write down everything. Ask for a copy of your records and contact your workers comp board.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

My husband was injured on the job and receives weekly checks. At this time he is still waiting for his weekly check to be deposited. It seems like the case worker is on vacation. This is Christmas time and no one at Liberty Mutual can deposit his check. So he has to wait and wait and they are putting his other health issues at risk because he cannot get his meds. The case worker involved is rude and disrespectful. Liberty mutual people are also scam artists and cowards because they hide behind Pennsylvania laws and probably have politicians in their pockets. They also treat him disrespectfully because he is white. again no one at liberty mutual can send him his checks because his case manager is on vacation and no one else, I guess, knows how to make deposits. Do not go with liberty mutual!!!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Liberty Mutual had me literally in tears. They will hold on to your money for month's before paying. While they are making a decision on whether or not to pay you you're sick and broke. Once you get assigned to someone to handle your case he/she will make verbal promises go on vacation and you will not get your money until another few weeks or month's. Their emails that you send go into a black hole so they never see them. I had to contact my HR Department to file complaints. Because, I got yelled at and called a liar. My only savior was my doctor demanding that they had better pay me. All I could remember was wanting to die.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I was injured on the job working as an EMT in an emergency department. I ruptured the three lowest discs in my spine and suffered permanent nerve damage. The result of my injury resulted in my left leg being permanently paralyzed. My employer had Liberty Mutual as our long term disability insurer. To add insult to injury I actually paid extra every month to increase the percentage of coverage. After settling on workman’s comp I filed the long term disability claim. It is apparently customary to wait till the workman’s comp claim is settled to file.

I contacted liberty mutual and jumped through all of their hoops to file the claim. This process cost me hundreds of dollars due to fax and delivery fees. In the end what do ya know they deny my claim after months of effort on my part. In the meantime I cannot work due to my disability. Thank goodness for my wife or I would’ve been on the street. I had to hire a law firm to fight these people in order to receive a lame settlement. Apparently the the insurance laws in New Mexico are very much behind the times. It took 3 years to get to this point.

The bottom line is if you want an insurer to stand behind you when you get injured at work look elsewhere. Liberty Mutual will do everything in their power to not help you. If you peruse the online complaints one only needs to guess which states have proper insurance laws. It’s clear this company only does the right thing when they absolutely have to.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

After being told they offer supplemental insurance accidental... Changes happened. My claim was denied after I sent in the required info stating that I don't have ER coverage. SMH. Misleading. It's okay. They got away with 18 dollars but that is it! Don't recommend! 8.49 a month sound good but when they deny your claim it's bad!

Liberty Mutual author review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual has been providing a variety of insurance coverages to individuals since 1912. It is currently the third largest property and casualty insurance provider in the United States.

• Offers integrated group plans for employers: Employers can purchase insurance for employees that includes both long-term and short-term options.

• Offers additional tools for employers: Companies can get help with compliance with ADA regulations for employees with disabilities or monitor lost work time and track claims payments using online tools.

• Return To Work Toolkit: The Return to Work Toolkit helps employees get back to work faster after suffering a disabling condition.

• Fully functional online portal: Users can make and track claims online.

• Full support for employees: Users can visit a regional center, make claims online or by telephone, or participate in an employee assistance program to get disability-related problems handled.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor