Liberty Mutual - Disability

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I don't understand why there are so many complaints here. I became disabled due to medical malpractice and negligence. August 2016, I applied for Short Term Disability and was approved. My diagnosis was not made till November 2016, LM worked with me. LTD was approved end November 2016. It's important to follow the instructions and to talk to your case manager. I was fortunate to get Brandy **, to manage my case. She was professional and supportive. I know there are people out there that take advantage of the system. Until I got my diagnosis, I truly thought I would be able to go back to work. Play by the rules. My life will never be the same again, and if it was not for LTD, with LM, things would be very bad.

I've learned to work on a tight budget, some months my medical expenses are more than my mortgage. But I've got wise to ask for payments plans for medical expenses. There have been times as humbling as it is, that I've called my credit card companies and car loan company and asked if I could miss a payment. If you explain your situation and it's legitimate they will work with you. Even Lois **, in LM finance worked with me. People need to think before they complain and give a company a bad review. For 20 years I've been paying Short Term Disability and LTD, I never thought I would need it. Thank you Liberty Mutual Disability Insurance.

Liberty Mutual, those 2 words bring me lots of anger! I am tired of working with incompetent people!!! Had my thumb operated on last year and had nothing but trouble with them making up their own release dates so they can interrupt your pay!! Now this year same **! Don't even have direct deposit! They tell you it takes 7 to 10 days to mail your check. Yeah if it's coming by horse!!! I'm in the middle of my leave and was just informed I wouldn't get paid this week!!! They don't care they will eat this week but because of their incompetence I won't be!!!

Two years ago I had knee surgery and our company had the Hartford and they were excellent, direct deposited all my checks was always in contact letting me know what was going on. It was a well oiled machine!!! Liberty Mutual is the car on blocks in the backyard! I'm so mad right now, I suppose to healing up, but instead I'm dealing Massive amounts of incompetence with no money to buy groceries!! Hopefully they will go out of business!

What's so sad about this company they don't ever live up to nothing. They say I had surgery on 6/23/17. I'm expected to be out of work 6 to 8 weeks. Give them everything from doctor and even doctors said they gave them all the paperwork they needed. I was told only gonna get paid for 4wks. Then they gotta get more paperwork then get first check wasn't right amount and it came late. Called them, said it would be corrected and that my next check would be sent out Tuesday july 11th. Well here it is today the 15th and no check when it only takes 3 days to get to me. I'm so sick of this company. I had bills due today that I can't pay and one getting shut off because I had it extended til today and cannot pay. This company is full of BS.

From the start, when you're out of work due to health, illness, injury or mental illness, Liberty Mutual IS NOT what they claim to be. They will make every aspect of getting your claim approved an absolute nightmare. I swear they hold meetings to advise your case manager to lie and forget your information so they can keep pushing you to the side hoping you'll forget them and get pissed and tired of their ** excuses and demands and walk away. How about 40 pages faxed from my doctor that somehow got lost and then the same 40 pages from myself that then mysteriously got received. Then it's "oh did you see this doctor as well. Ok well we need those documents as well." It's a joke. When you're out and have verifiable proof, come on. This is complete ** now. No money in over a month. Thank god I'm back to work now. Just have to wait for the pay to cycle around. Liberty Mutual is a joke.

I have had the bad luck of dealing with these ** for a while now. EVEN after my lawyers sent them paperwork to process my LTD claim they still deny it and keep demanding more data so that they don't have to pay out benefits. I now see why they have such a bad reputation. I would give them negative 5000 stars if it were possible. Hopefully they get sued in a major class action lawsuit for fraud.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

I went out with a torn ACL and meniscus in May of 2017. Had my FMLA and STD setup. Was told by LMI that my pay would be 500/week or 60% of my salary. Whichever is greater. My first check was more than 1k because I was paid for when I went out (May 9th). The checks after that was 395, 461, 295. Neither amount to 500, and called, called. Got the same msg as everyone else. Out my office or on the phone with a client. And I did the math and I'm still short 772.00 as to what I would've had if the checks were correct. And the checks be sent out with 3 days, 5 days, and or 2 days. You don't see the rest until the following week and it's short also. Had enough with this bull, and the sad part is the company you work for DONT follow up with the disability insurance company that they set out for the employees.

Working for Magellan for over two yrs. Pay into my std and ltd even paying extra for 20% if something was to happen. Well along with my already genetic diseases, diabetes, hypertension, neuropathy, cholesterol and the list goes on now the nerves in my stomach don't work so now I'm constantly nauseous, vomiting, losing weight rapidly, stomach stay in pain. Well they denied me and said I can work under these conditions and I talk on the phone. I just would like to know how do I sue them.

I have been off work since May 8th from back surgery. I take care of mentally challenged patients. Doctor has put me off with back brace and walked for 6 weeks after surgery, but put me off three weeks before surgery. Applied with HR help at work for my short term disability. Have not received one check. Not one phone call nor letter. Every time I call, it goes to voice mail that is full. HR has done more than her share to help me. So if anyone is going a lawsuit, I'm in. The is Liberty Mutual.

Let's see... Where to begin... Not available or out of the office for weeks at a time (Any of 5 people who could have helped me), NEVER returned my voicemails, RARELY responded to my e-mails even with my attorney cc'd on the e-mails (smh), Always in so called "meetings" like they meet all day when at the office?? And the best one... Denying procedures requested by my neurologist based on the treatment records of a 39 year old female that they admitted to me verbally by saying, "Well that's not supposed to be in there. Would you like a reevaluation, sir?" No **, I want an attorney, I am a 49 year old MALE!!!

Glad the lawsuit is over and I feel more than satisfied with the monies my attorneys were able to get for me to continue my treatment. One should not have to fight for care on a work related injury while employed by a Fortune 500 company, or ANY company. It's just not acceptable, life is too short already without your "so called" help, period. Again, glad to finally be rid of Liberty Mutual. And your commercials are lies in my opinion, the whole "We stand by you" BS. To quote a dear friend, "Ain't scared of y'all **." ~Bernie Mac R.I.P.~

When I signed up at my company for long term disability insurance. And paid the premiums weekly for 12 yrs. Liberty led me to believe that I needed to protect my family and would receive 60% of my pay from long term disability If I was ever injured. What they don't tell you is in order to receive money you first have to apply and receive social security disability because they use that money as an offset. What that means is they include that money and any other money you receive [ie workers comp] in the 60% so Liberty never pays 60% and the name long term only means maximum of two years no matter how disabled you are.

My advice to anyone in the market for long term disability or any other insurance don't use Liberty because you can't leave worry behind and Liberty does not stand with you. As they claim in their ads. In my opinion Liberty is a criminal enterprise and should be prevented from deceiving people out of their hard earned money.

The short term disability claims department will not send you checks like they claim when you are out of work for an injury. I highly recommend seeking short term disability insurance elsewhere. My Dr. sent them all requested medical records and they kept saying they were waiting on the records, which they had already received. Or they will make excuses about they are still reviewing it. You will not receive checks while on short term disability, only sorry excuses!

I have worked for Ditech Financial for almost 5 years and initiated a short term leave of absence on April 13, 2017. It has been over 30 days and I have yet to receive a disability approval for my mental health condition. My primary care physician did not receive documents to sign until April 21st and I was there in the office when the documents were filled out and faxed over to Liberty. I was notified on April 28th that no documents were ever received at which time my doctor's office resubmitted a fax and copy of fax confirmation from the first fax. AGAIN, we were told that the fax was not received and after making a call to them was told, "OH, it must have been sent to another fax number." After advising them that the fax was sent to number listed on paperwork the information was sent again to a direct fax number for case worker.

After trying to contact case worker to get update was information that my case was assigned to someone new and after review finally on May 16th was told it was not enough information to support my leave. I advised them several times that papers needed to also be sent to my Mental Health professional and after docs were sent I was told information would be reviewed again. I explained that my payroll department advised that if received by the 19th and approval granted it would be enough time to receive my wages on May 26th.

After speaking with the case worker today I was told there is no guarantee that recent docs will be reviewed tomorrow in order to be sent in time for payroll which means I will not receive my wages IF APPROVED until the middle of June. Meanwhile, I am being evicted from my home and I have another place lined up but have to pay deposit on the 26th. I feel it is absolutely ridiculous for people who work their asses off for their employers to be treated like 2nd class citizens and disregarded this way. I am officially DONE with LIBERTY and DITECH. If I can find a lawyer to take my case I will be filing a lawsuit against both!

I have paid FOR LTD insurance for the last 12 yrs I worked. When I had to use it I didn't have any trouble getting it. I should've known there a reason for that. LM required that me to apply for Social Security Disability. I had to apply, file 2 appeals, and finally go to court, where it was granted. Less than a month later I got a letter saying that I had to repay LM in the amount of $27,000+. I had no idea that my long term disability insurance from Liberty Mutual was not actual insurance but a loan that accumulated until I got approved for SSD. Now they are suing me for the disability money that they gave me.

The games these people play are horrible... case managers who claim they will contact you back no later than 24 hours and not returning your calls at all is fraud. Their plan is to starve you out. Make life more difficult. What type people are these people? Who treats already hurting people like this and how on earth do any of these people sleep at night? My guess is because they get their paycheck on time right away.

If their paycheck was late they would be down to accounting faster than their two feet could carry them. We cannot just do that we have to wait or get attorneys involved. People truly struggling while the CEO makes millions a year. It is sad to see good people struggling from the hands of grubby nasty people. It's been 3 days now I have called and called my case manager without reply. So much for the no later than 24 hours. Sad place indeed.

In the top two poor customer service experiences for me in my life. Was on STD from Sept 2016 to 1/3/17. Just two examples, but Liberty caused 3 of my paychecks to be half of what they should have been. They did make them up later, but not without many calls, much dragging of feet, and subterfuge. I received a letter from Liberty on 10/22, dated 10/19. It said my STD had lapsed and could not be paid until they received more info from my doctor, and to please remit said info NLT 10/5. Didn't say what info, but asked me to send anyway. Many calls to get this resolved, but still screwed up two paychecks.

On 12/12 my doctor and I were notified my STD had lapsed on 12/5. My doctor tried to fax records but apparently they did not get through. Many more calls, and then Liberty said they were not governed by HIPPA and thus could not send a compliant request? So I ended up going to medical records at my hospital to get my records so I could fax them myself (another paycheck already screwed up). When I called to get a good fax number they looked at my account and, lo and behold, the situation had been resolved without the additional records and my STD was extended to the proper date. Confirmed with my HR folks and am due to get paid on an upcoming paycheck.

My case manager was most often unavailable or out of office and when she took time off around the holidays her voicemail gave me another manager to call. Very nice, except his voicemail said he was also out of the office until 1/3. Kind of felt like I needed to talk to the president of the company to get any satisfactory results. Am so glad I do not have to speak with you folks anymore. As an aside, the customer service phone answerers were always courteous and tried to help, but most often they couldn't do anything and I needed to talk to my case manager who was most often unavailable. Can't imagine that customers won't be lost if others are treated as I was, and it will be a cold day in hell before I would purchase any of their other products after this experience. I only talked to them this time because I had to (my health insurance provider contracts STD to Liberty I guess).

I have been paying payroll deducted dues to Liberty Mutual Insurance company's long-term disability coverage for to be fair four years, but could be five? Anyway over eight weeks ago I was diagnosed with level 4 bladder cancer as per my health care provider. Which I underwent surgery to remove my bladder and prostate gland 10/28/16. I'm undergoing chemotherapy treatment from 12/08/16 - 04/20/17. With side-effects from the chemo I'm not allowed to fulfill my safety-sensitive obligations as a school bus driver.

Before surgery I applied for my long-term disability coverage with Liberty Mutual but there has been one ludicrous excuse after another to hold up processing my claim. The first excuse is that my health care provider is slow to respond to LM's repeated requests for my medical records. The second is that even after spending $44.00 to email corroborating paperwork required of me by LM at a FedEx store, and securing a "fax received" receipt from FedEx, sent to two different LM fax numbers, LM can't seem to find my paperwork! And though at least 6 weeks have passed since I sent it, they've no clue where the paperwork is.

I simply don't believe LM's childish tales and believe their goal is to drag feet in hopes of discouraging the claimant, resulting in giving them an avenue of escape from paying claims. My advice? If you have the opportunity of long-term health or any form of insurance either privately chosen or offered through an employer, pick any insurance company you desire, even if relatively unknown. Because they can't be any slower, any less efficient, any less customer-friendly, any less clumsy than Liberty Mutual..

I am currently out of work on STD and have been since Sept 26, 2016. Liberty Mutual had incorrect information as to my dates being out. They had my psychiatric note confused with my therapist notes. They denied my claim stating it wasn't enough clinical information to validate why I couldn't work after being diagnosed with major depression, anxiety, panic attacks, constant breakdowns of crying, loss of focus, suicidal ideation, which then aggravates and onsets my migraines, nausea, cyclic vomiting (vomiting in cycles) when I'm missing 3-4 days of work. I appealed and they said these diagnosis don't constitute a disability!!! I'm now speaking with an attorney but, in the mean time I have no income coming in as a single mother of 3 girls and Christmas is coming and I have nothing and I’m in jeopardy of being evicted. I'm now speaking with an attorney to see if I have a case but, if anyone does a class action suit I am definitely interested!!!

After two surgeries and diagnosed with a chronic illness, Liberty Mutual denied my claim and appeal. They left me sick, jobless, and homeless. Karma is a **.

I HOPE THEY ALL END UP IN HELL FOR ETERNITY, WRITING APPEALS FOR THEIR SALVATION.

Approval process experience for STD - in October of this year, my doctors, and my company all agreed I need to take time off because my mental health was negatively impacting my ability to perform my job responsibilities. My company has been paying into STD for the 23 years I have worked for them, and I have not needed to use it until now. My doctors have faxed all my medical records multiple times, I have also faxed them multiple times. I have called Liberty Mutual weekly and I am getting absolutely no resolution or response from them. I have a medical condition that requires me to take some time off, and the Liberty Mutual is NOT providing the coverage that was agreed to.

After 13 years of working in EMS on an ambulance, I injured my back on the job on August 20, 2016. My employer initially sent me to the ER, then to the Working Well clinic. I was put on light duty with restrictions: no sitting, walking or standing for more than 20 minutes, no climbing and no lifting or carrying more than 20 pounds. In Indiana, there is a 7 day waiting period. On Sept 13, I was to continue with light duty with restrictions and Liberty Mutual approved 12 physical therapy sessions. I was released to full duty with no restrictions on Sept 28, 2016.

Today is Nov 17, 2016, and I still haven't received any compensation for my lost wages. For weeks, my phone calls and emails were not returned by them or my employer. Finally, today I received a call from my case manager at Liberty. She stated that I did not qualify for compensation, yet they paid my medical bills and sent me a prescription card 6 weeks after my injury. She stated that according to the paperwork that she received from Working Well, I was returned to full duty with restrictions on Sept 13 but refused. That is a blatant lie which leads me to believe they altered the paperwork. I have the same documentation but it states to continue with light duty with the same restrictions.

How on earth am I supposed to go back to full duty, climbing stairs, lifting a hydraulic stretcher or lifting and moving patients? I would be in violation of my restrictions. They also stated that I didn't lose any wages, based on my wage history they received from my employer. I don't know whose pay stubs they were looking at, but I have 3 that show I received half of what my normal salary would have been had I not been injured. I work 48 scheduled hours per week (two 24 hour shifts) and was working less than 30 while on light duty. And if I supposedly refused to work, how did I get paid without losing wages? Something is fishy. Like two of my coworkers, I am forced to file a dispute and report them to the state. I will also have to retain an attorney. Save everything... voicemails, emails and all documentation. It has been an absolutely awful experience having to deal with this company and it's not over yet.

I actually want to comment to Justin of Freemansburg, PA on July 27, 2016. This is Crazy, but I'm going through the EXACT same thing, with the diagnosis & Liberty Denial. How dare they? I have no income since September. This is made my condition worst. My migraines, ulcers, hypertension is sky high from these people.

Please if you are considering getting insurance with Liberty Mutual, please please please do not do so. They take your premium payments and then lie, delay, deny anything to force you back to work because they know the average person cannot live past one or two paychecks. I went out on STD and was paid for two months and then denied as they said I did not continue my doctor appointments and I had notified them by fax and voice message with the names of new doctors I had to see because I moved.

They sent me a denial letter stating that I was denied because I had not continued my treatments. I did the appeal based on their denial reason of stopping appointments when in fact there was no break in appointments, just went to different doctors. So I did the appeal based on that denial reason and gave proof that I had made and attended doctor appointments but they then sent me an appeal denial letter and denied my claim for another reason and then in the letter stating no more appeals.

I checked on a lawsuit and found that if the courts go in Liberty's favor that not only would I have a huge legal bill but might even be forced to pay Liberty's attorney fees. So nope I don't have the money for that so I will be forced back to work to keep from losing my house. I hope there is a hell as the people at the top that run this company need to end up there for all the people there are hurting.

After 5 bypass surgeries, 2 stents, 2 cases of respiratory failure, 2 cases of renal failure and a case of septic shock... Liberty Mutual STOPPED paying my benefits in May 2016. I have appealed the decision and as of today 10/13/2016 I have still not received a decision. I paid for LTD through my employer for ten years. Once I was diagnosed with major cardiac issues they paid benefits for two years and then just stopped. When I appealed I provided them with complete hospital records, medical records, doctor names and they contacted all of my physicians. All of whom confirmed my illness. Social Security approved my SSDI request but Liberty has yet to take any action. Every time I call I keep getting the "we are expecting a decision either today or tomorrow" line. Of course, this never happens.

If you have a claim that has been stopped take my advice. Hire a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. Do not... under any circumstances discuss your case with anyone from Liberty without representation. This company is NOT going to reinstate your claim once it has been stopped. According to my attorney you can expect them to fight every step of the way... use delay tactics... and ultimately deny you. Their reputation is well known among ERISA attorney's. In addition, many of the LTD contracts provided by employers through Liberty are written to prevent any kind of Long Term Disability support. The courts almost always rule in favor of Liberty because of these contract clauses.

You can expect your process to last several years from the date they stop paying. PLEASE make sure you have other means of support to help you through this period. Otherwise, as you can see by other reviewers below, you will lose everything while you wait for them to make a decision. If you do it alone or with an attorney you will suffer severe financial loss and a HUGE impact on your lifestyle. While many of us have already suffered such an impact due to our health... Liberty will add to this and will cause a deterioration of your condition. This occurs through stress, lack of funds to continue to pay for insurance, doctor copays, medications, etc.

If you are unable to maintain regular doctor visits because you lost your income and/or insurance (which is what happens when they stop paying your benefits) then you must go on Self Pay... At this point the average DR visit is $150-200 per visit, medications can range from $60-300 PER MEDICATION and if you need your doctor to do any additional paperwork there is usually an administrative fee of $50-100.

If, like me, you suffer from a chronic medical condition you will be bankrupt within three to six months. If you have ANY assets such as a home, car or a spouse that works (even at minimum wage) you will be IMMEDIATELY denied state assisted benefits such as Medicaid or SNAP. You will be left with no income, an inability to meet your medical expenses (which will then make your condition worse because you can't properly maintain your health) and you will face the destruction of your credit. If you should end up going to the hospital uninsured (as I did several times) you now face possible litigation, lawsuits and bankruptcy.

Yes, this is a grim picture. However, anyone who has dealt with Liberty Mutual LTD knows that what I am saying here is the complete truth. This is what they count on happening. Once you have been put into this position they know that responsible and credible adults will reach a point where they can no longer tolerate this and will seek to end the situation by returning to work. Once you do that... you are cooked. They know and they count on it.

A good ERISA attorney will tell you that you have a VERY slim chance of getting these benefits reinstated. The insurance companies have made the process so cumbersome and have gotten laws passed that make benefit reinstatement virtually impossible, even for the most critically ill, they are counting on you to give up.

You can also expect any conversation you have with anyone from Liberty to result in absolutely no resolution... none. In fact, if you have audacity to show any level of irritation or frustration you will be immediately put in your place. Remember, there is no circumstance where Liberty is ever to blame... lost paperwork (your fault), doctor fails to submit a report on time (your fault), inability to reach your case worker who doesn't answer the phone or return phone calls (your fault). I have documented notes of conversations I have had including dates, times and names of the people I spoke with... when referencing this information at a later date I have been told that my information is wrong and that they only go by the information and notes put into their system by their people.

In almost every circumstance this information was completely different from my notes and was skewed to support Liberty. While this is always a good practice don't expect this to amount to any substantial help down their line... including your court case... because both Liberty and the Courts assume your information is inaccurate and/or skewed to support YOUR interest. So Liberty notes are acceptable and are given a great deal of weight during the appeals process. Your notes are acceptable but given very little weight by the courts.

In conclusion, if you are awarded initial benefits from Liberty for LTD this is all that you can expect to get from them. Whether it is 6 mos or 2 years. Once those benefits are stopped FOR ANY REASON as determined by Liberty the chances of you appealing and receiving a reinstatement of those benefits is, according to ERISA lawyer statistics, less than 5%. So, make the best of your benefits. Apply for Social Security Disability (GET AN ATTORNEY TO HELP YOU WITH THIS). Try to pay down your debt, research your medical benefits and find out how long they will last, what additional costs you can expect in the future and be prepared to deal with the loss of your benefits.

I had a Liberty Mutual caseworker tell me that LTD is NOT meant to replace your income should you become permanently disabled. It is meant to help you transition from full time work into a permanently disabled lifestyle. Despite what you may have read when bought the policy they have NO INTENTION of providing benefits to you should you become permanently disabled.

I hope that this helps anyone who thinks that Liberty or any LTD policy will be there if they should need it. It will not... at best you can expect a couple of years of benefits and then they will pull the plug and leave you high and dry. Keep this in perspective... Understand that you will only receive short term help... And make plans for life AFTER Long Term Disability. This is the only way you will survive this process. Remember, the cards are stacked against you, the courts will always support the insurance company, and even if you have a mountain of doctors and medical team support... you WILL NOT be successful. The system is designed to work this way. Good luck.

Stopped. Whoever is considering filing a class action suit against them please advise. I am tired of not getting paid because they don't get just the right documentation. I have had 4 doctors tell me that Liberty Mutual requests more information than anyone including SSI. If they dont get it in on time I miss a check. Try eating with no money and they are making my disease worse. They need to be stopped.

Someone on this thread was so right - they are dragging their feet so hard in hopes you quit and go away. I'm filing a complaint with the EEOC as well as looking into a lawyer. I have done everything I can to be responsible and staying in communication with them. An FYI when LMI sent out an employee survey on their employee like the company to work for.. only 34% said they did and even less said they would recommend to anyone one working there. Sad isn't it.

Updated on 02/02/2017: I have been trying to return to work since November of 2016 from an ADA absence. Many delays thanks to medication issues have happened. I had this happen once before in which HR was compassionate and didn't cause any more stress than what STD department does, first incident I didn't have to check in every day, paperwork and recommendations were promptly agreed to and I was able to return, doing so improved my performance considerably. Promoted, merit increase and many positive comments made. I had to go out again as there was an undiscovered underlying condition that needed treatment. This time let's say was the opposite of the treatment I received before. STD was more detailed. And I was watched more carefully. But was most deplorable is the flagrant disregard of the Federal ADA Title 1 regulation on HR's end.

The pressure of the new position brought out the new condition and as soon I discovered this I asked to go back to my prior position when it was shown that I could. I was told maybe... then left hanging. As if I would just quit. When I pushed back the HR people advised what my doctor as far as needing time off wasn't something the HR could do. My doctor listed "As needed" HR didn't like this. They wanted a specific number of days. The first one I had on file offered 2 days a week. I think I used this once, I make my appointments on my days off. But in the state I was in adding a 4th medication as well as coping with the new disorder as needed was what the doctor recommended. HR didn't care. They pushed.

When I was out on my first leave the HR reps were focused on my well being, advising I didn't have to call in every day, if there was a setback with a new medication (Lucky me if there was a side effect to any medication I will get it, then it's the matter of if I can tolerate it or we need to change) and the reactions were bad I had to switch and it out back my expected time of return all I need to is explain to my direct supervisor and it was ok.

Now... HR does not want to accept the doctor's recommendations, has dragged their feet authorizing a step back in position (I told them I didn't even care if it was a pay cut as long as it didn't take my hard-earned merit raise), when I did get that accommodation basically it was presented as if I was lucky to get it, and I asked for additional training to help me do my job. HR has brow beaten me from day one. I was getting tag teamed with two HR conference calling me at home confusing and upsetting me so bad I was in bed crying and shaking for hours. When I contacted STD they pointed me to HR, HR would point me back to STD. My emotional stressed increased. Then when I had to change medications again... this one causing bad vertigo I advised I wouldn't make the date I anticipated. I was very dizzy and often had to have help to keep me from falling.

The HR department gave me a bad time. Now what person in their right mind forces someone to come to work knowing that they not only could injure themselves by falling (Workmans Comp Claim) could also take a well meaning employee trying to catch them with. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Knowing the responses I have had to their "conference calls" she insisted on doing another. I advised I wanted to return to work the day of the call and pointed out the outcome of two other calls as well as advised the mental state I was in and what my concerns were. And her response "IF you make it to work we can have a private room for you". The last two times I was in bed shaking and crying uncontrollably. What makes her think that I couldn't be found in that private room in a corner a emotional mess. Imagine my humiliation not to mention the disruption to the entire company.

This is how these people of LMI treat valuable employees with ADA issues. All of my requests have been under the ADA as reasonable and in a company of over 45,000 it will be hard pressed to prove these requests are undue financial hardship. I wrote to head office yesterday. We will see. For your own protection document everything. IF THEY CALL YOU SEND THEM AN EMAIL RECAPPING THE CONVERSATION WITH ADVISE THAT IF ANYTHING IS INCORRECT please reply by the end of the day. Do not trust them to keep documentation. Every item will back you in a court/ADA case. Is it a pain, yes... is it worth protecting yourself, Oh yes.

I worked for a company for 30 years that has long term disability insurance through Liberty Mutual. In June 2014 I had to leave my job due to severe chronic back pain & failed spinal fusion surgery. In addition I have peripheral neuropathy, osteoarthritis, stage 3 kidney failure, degenerative disk disease & fibromyalgia.

The pain was so bad I could not walk without a cane or walker. I was an inventory control accountant. I was on pain meds daily several times a day. Found it very difficult to concentrate on my duties & was reprimanded several times because my employer felt I was not doing my job based on previous performance reviews which were excellent prior to my injury.

When I left the company I filed a claim for long term disability with my my employer's insurance company. I was initially denied. I hired an Erisa attorney to help. After 12 months the claim was approved & I received a back pay check in October 2015. Two months later December 2015 they closed my claim saying I could go back to work. My attorney filed an appeal with additional information. Again LM overturned their ruling & reopened my claim issuing another back pay check for 7 months in July 2016. I received my monthly payments for August & September. Then my attorney informed me Liberty Mutual was closing my claim again after seeing their sports medicine dr for 20 minutes & no testing or looking at my medical records.

Now we have to appeal this again. My drs & vocational therapists have stated that I cannot work. I am getting Social Security disability Thank God! My medical issues have gotten worse & my pain is worse. The neuropathy is spreading to my hands now & my back pain has moved up my back to my shoulder blades in my cervical area. I have numbness in my fingers also. Liberty Mutual is a thief! They make you jump through hoops only to pull you back & put you through stressful fighting for legitimate disability claims. Someone needs to pull their license to do business! The government has seen fit that I am disabled. My drs who know my history & issues say I am disabled. Why then can't Liberty Mutual pay my claim & be done with it instead of this push me pull me scenario??? This is serious...but they treat it like a joke & make you out to be a criminal when in fact they are the criminal!!!

Unlike many who have written negatively of Liberty Mutual Insurance Group Benefits Disability Claims I have had a very positive experience with the company. I can't speak for others when I do not know the true circumstances surrounding their cases so I will only speak to mine. I had paid for both STD (Short Term Disability) and LTD (Long Term Disability) through my company for years. As soon as my disability affected me I notified Liberty Mutual immediately. They collected the required information and my disability payments began immediately. At each of my renewal points I did not run into any problems with Liberty Mutual. Why was I successful in my case? My answer to many is that I took an active role in helping Liberty Mutual to have the latest medical information surrounding my case to expedite the claims process.

Every time I went to a doctor I automatically filled out a release of medical information form to release my records to Liberty Mutual and told the attending physician's office staff that this information from the visit was needed right away by Liberty Mutual. In the case where I was seeing a physician or specialist that I had seen previously and already signed the release of medical information form I just kindly reminded the office staff to not forget that Liberty Mutual needed this information sent to them immediately so as not to interrupt my disability payments. When I was given a visit summary at the end of the appointment I faxed those in right away to Liberty Mutual also. Second myself and Liberty Mutual Insurance kept our lines of communication open. I would call them and give them all upcoming doctor appointments and procedures that were already scheduled so they had a "history" looking forward so to speak.

I would also verify with them all doctors that they should have information from and if there was a doctor that had not sent them their notes I was on the phone immediately to that doctor reminding them that Liberty Mutual needed copies of my latest treatment notes immediately and my doctors always got them sent out to them. Now my short term disability is getting ready to expire and my case would be turning towards my Long Term Disability at which point I am starting to notice that it seems to be a bit more of a struggle and I'm not quite sure why that is yet. I do know that my case manager switched to a John ** who I have maintained communication with again by phone and by fax. I am hoping for a positive outcome in the continuation of my benefits but at the same time I must admit I am worried because health wise I have gotten worse but at the same time their approach to me seems to have changed a bit.

They do offer me reassurance when I speak to them on the phone and have said that they are moving towards sitting up my Long Term Disability Claim so I'm trying to remain positive. I think overall it is just a fact of being honest with the company and not overstating medically what is wrong but providing factual documentation from my team of physicians in a timely manner to Liberty Mutual. Some may say that I'm doing all the leg work when it should be Liberty Mutual doing the work but realistically one must remember that your case managers do not know what doctors or what procedures you are having done without your input and keeping them up-to-date or in-the-loop. Your case managers are probably handling hundreds if not thousands of cases each and so it is vital that you be on the forefront of keeping them informed.

My STD did run on 09/15/2016 but they assured me that once they gather all their information required that if it meets the necessary requirements that payment will be backdated to the last day of my STD which again was 09/15/2106. Next month I will be moving into LTD if all goes according to schedule with Liberty Mutual. I have only dealt with one "bad apple" and that was telephonically. I called back immediately and got someone different and they whole heartedly apologized and tried to reassure me. I hope this gives others a ray of hope in your case moving forward.

Back in February I went out of work for diabetes type 1 with severe neuropathy in both feet. I also have hypothyroidism, depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, and more medical issues. Doctor told me I probably will never work again so I applied for social security disability and short term disability. Everything as far as Liberty Mutual was ok up until August 20th. I then was contacted by Liberty Mutual long term disability and they said they needed all these different doctors that I seen to submit all the notes test etc so they could review to see if I qualify for long term.

I went off of short term August 20th and I just got a call from Liberty Mutual on 9-15-16 and they say my claim is denied. Here I thought wow first time filing social security I got approved and this company denies me. I'd look elsewhere for short and long term insurance because this company is clueless because for one I'm in a wheelchair and two wheelchairs aren't allowed in facility so I'm guessing they're saying I can go back to work. This is my experience I have had with this company.

I recently went out on short term disability. I have major depression and anxiety. I also have Crohn's Disease. When my depression/anxiety get bad it exacerbates my Crohn's, which if you know about Crohn's it can get bad. I went out in June after recently coming back from the same issues. I knew I should have stayed out instead of coming and having the chance of me going back out again. I felt pressured to go back to work. Anyways they told me the claim would still be issued under the old one. I had all of my Dr's notes sent over to Liberty.

They denied my claim just a little over a week ago. I find it funny how it takes them over a month to finally make a decision. I was denied saying I didn't have a serious health or mental conditions. I was thinking are these people for real? So I haven't been paid for over a month and my bank account is low on funds. I filed an appeal to their decision so I had to resend all the information that was previously. I was told I would get an answer to my appeal within 45 days. I have bills to pay and no money coming in.

Now I was sent paperwork from my employer stating since I haven't gotten paid my benefits have not been taken out. So I have to pay out of my own pocket to keep the benefits. I feel again I am being forced to go back to work when I'm not ready. I know I will end up losing my job if I go back and I'm not medically cleared to. I've been thinking of hiring a lawyer but with hardly any money how can I do that? I've been reading these reviews and my anxiety and depression have risen even more.

I got hurt on the job in 2011 lifting a patient at a assisted living. Liberty Mutual sent me to their nurse and she wretched on my leg, said I was fine. Returned me back to work and put me on light duty. Well by the time I drove 20 miles back home my knee calf and foot was all swollen, the pain was unbearable. I took it upon myself to see my family doctor because something was clearly wrong. I was pissed as well after I waited and drove all that way I didn't get seen by a actual doctor. My doctor took me off work, put me in knee mobilizer and sent me to get X-rays and MRI done. He didn't mess around, he clearly seen something was wrong. I told my supervisor I had seen my own doctor and she yelled at me threaten to fire me. 10 mins. later Liberty Mutual calls and says that I am not covered anymore...

Well told them clearly something's wrong and maybe they should have sent me to a doctor instead of a nurse. So they kept me on WC until I seen the doctor. Next day drove 20 miles back to same place, was seen by doctor, he did x-ray and came back, I had Baker's cyst. Well Liberty Mutual dropped me again. End of story there. Well fast forward I ended up quitting my job weeks later. I couldn't do the work anymore, long hours walking, standing and bending I end up getting a lawyer in 2012 because injury has not gotten any better. I end up having surgery in 2013. Torn meniscus, MCL, lateral patella was torn. Here it is 2016 still fighting to get $40,000 worth of hospital bills paid. I have not received a dime from these people. I have lost everything, brand new dodge truck $35,000, $140,000 house, EVERYTHING!

So here I am last month doing research and find this site and I also found out what a Baker's cyst is caused from!!! Well a Baker's cyst is caused by drainage from a cartilage tear!!! WOW SO I WAS DROPPED BECAUSE THE DOCTOR DIDN'T KNOW WTH he was doing as well!!! This whole time I am kicking myself in the ass for not looking up "Baker's cyst" just when I was getting ready to give up on my case!!! They just added fuel to my fire!!! I do agree on whomever posted a class action lawsuit does need to happen here. So many of us have been hurt and not able to work and have lost everything because they can't step up to the plate. I am 26 years old this injury happened when I was 21!!! Every day I have had to live with pain. on top of pain WC don't cover pain either which is **. They do people so wrong... SMH class action lawsuit count me in. My leg, body will never be the same.

I am beside my self to see the complaints written about Liberty Mutual Disability Insurance. I have been disabled and out of work with no income since November 2012. When I applied for benefits November 2012 they denied me, and I asked them how will I live. I have paid for short term and long term disability out of my paycheck. My employer paid some and I paid some. They said I need to go back to work. I was very ill and my doctor disabled me, I have Fibromyalgia and I was having tremendous problems. I was in bathroom at work a lot and I had symptoms so bad I couldn't concentrate. So I retained an attorney who carried me for a year and dropped my case saying he didn't know enough about my condition and that it really wasn't enough money for him anyways. I lost everything and moved in with my mother.

My employer called me and explained that since I didn't receive benefits I owed them $1000 for the benefits they covered. During this discussion I found out they had so many employees off work sick and Liberty denied their claims too. My employer had to collect money for the benefits they paid for these employees because the disability benefits did not come through. Subsequently my employer dropped Liberty Mutual and went with another company. No doubt this is why.

This feels like a crime to treat people this way who have worked all of their lives. And since 2012 I have been to many doctors trying to find out why I was so sick? I succeeded at that. I have several other diagnosis, I had endometriosis so bad it had strangled my intestines to the point it changed their anatomical place. My doctor had to cut me open 10 inches up and down to save my life.

I then was diagnosed with diabetes, bursitis. And I am still just as sick as I was when I was working. I am disabled and I struggle every day with nausea, inability to get out of bed, the fibromyalgia paralyzes me. My intestines still hurt and make me sick. It feels like everything is too hard to do. I have struggled with being sick for 20 years. The diabetes has hurt my eyesight and I am so tired. They are still diagnosing me with things. I have lost all of my dignity, I have no income. And I thought I was securing my future by purchasing insurance through Liberty Mutual. Is there anyone that has started a class action lawsuit? I know plenty of people I worked with were denied. Please don't let them get away with this.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Liberty Mutual has been providing a variety of insurance coverages to individuals since 1912. It is currently the third largest property and casualty insurance provider in the United States.

• Offers integrated group plans for employers: Employers can purchase insurance for employees that includes both long-term and short-term options.
  • Offers additional tools for employers: Companies can get help with compliance with ADA regulations for employees with disabilities or monitor lost work time and track claims payments using online tools.
  • Return To Work Toolkit: The Return to Work Toolkit helps employees get back to work faster after suffering a disabling condition.
  • Fully functional online portal: Users can make and track claims online.
  • Full support for employees: Users can visit a regional center, make claims online or by telephone, or participate in an employee assistance program to get disability-related problems handled.
  • Best for People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Compare Disability Insurance