Liberty Mutual - Disability

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Approval process experience for STD - in October of this year, my doctors, and my company all agreed I need to take time off because my mental health was negatively impacting my ability to perform my job responsibilities. My company has been paying into STD for the 23 years I have worked for them, and I have not needed to use it until now. My doctors have faxed all my medical records multiple times, I have also faxed them multiple times. I have called Liberty Mutual weekly and I am getting absolutely no resolution or response from them. I have a medical condition that requires me to take some time off, and the Liberty Mutual is NOT providing the coverage that was agreed to.

After 13 years of working in EMS on an ambulance, I injured my back on the job on August 20, 2016. My employer initially sent me to the ER, then to the Working Well clinic. I was put on light duty with restrictions: no sitting, walking or standing for more than 20 minutes, no climbing and no lifting or carrying more than 20 pounds. In Indiana, there is a 7 day waiting period. On Sept 13, I was to continue with light duty with restrictions and Liberty Mutual approved 12 physical therapy sessions. I was released to full duty with no restrictions on Sept 28, 2016.

Today is Nov 17, 2016, and I still haven't received any compensation for my lost wages. For weeks, my phone calls and emails were not returned by them or my employer. Finally, today I received a call from my case manager at Liberty. She stated that I did not qualify for compensation, yet they paid my medical bills and sent me a prescription card 6 weeks after my injury. She stated that according to the paperwork that she received from Working Well, I was returned to full duty with restrictions on Sept 13 but refused. That is a blatant lie which leads me to believe they altered the paperwork. I have the same documentation but it states to continue with light duty with the same restrictions.

How on earth am I supposed to go back to full duty, climbing stairs, lifting a hydraulic stretcher or lifting and moving patients? I would be in violation of my restrictions. They also stated that I didn't lose any wages, based on my wage history they received from my employer. I don't know whose pay stubs they were looking at, but I have 3 that show I received half of what my normal salary would have been had I not been injured. I work 48 scheduled hours per week (two 24 hour shifts) and was working less than 30 while on light duty. And if I supposedly refused to work, how did I get paid without losing wages? Something is fishy. Like two of my coworkers, I am forced to file a dispute and report them to the state. I will also have to retain an attorney. Save everything... voicemails, emails and all documentation. It has been an absolutely awful experience having to deal with this company and it's not over yet.

I actually want to comment to Justin of Freemansburg, PA on July 27, 2016. This is Crazy, but I'm going through the EXACT same thing, with the diagnosis & Liberty Denial. How dare they? I have no income since September. This is made my condition worst. My migraines, ulcers, hypertension is sky high from these people.

Please if you are considering getting insurance with Liberty Mutual, please please please do not do so. They take your premium payments and then lie, delay, deny anything to force you back to work because they know the average person cannot live past one or two paychecks. I went out on STD and was paid for two months and then denied as they said I did not continue my doctor appointments and I had notified them by fax and voice message with the names of new doctors I had to see because I moved.

They sent me a denial letter stating that I was denied because I had not continued my treatments. I did the appeal based on their denial reason of stopping appointments when in fact there was no break in appointments, just went to different doctors. So I did the appeal based on that denial reason and gave proof that I had made and attended doctor appointments but they then sent me an appeal denial letter and denied my claim for another reason and then in the letter stating no more appeals.

I checked on a lawsuit and found that if the courts go in Liberty's favor that not only would I have a huge legal bill but might even be forced to pay Liberty's attorney fees. So nope I don't have the money for that so I will be forced back to work to keep from losing my house. I hope there is a hell as the people at the top that run this company need to end up there for all the people there are hurting.

After 5 bypass surgeries, 2 stents, 2 cases of respiratory failure, 2 cases of renal failure and a case of septic shock... Liberty Mutual STOPPED paying my benefits in May 2016. I have appealed the decision and as of today 10/13/2016 I have still not received a decision. I paid for LTD through my employer for ten years. Once I was diagnosed with major cardiac issues they paid benefits for two years and then just stopped. When I appealed I provided them with complete hospital records, medical records, doctor names and they contacted all of my physicians. All of whom confirmed my illness. Social Security approved my SSDI request but Liberty has yet to take any action. Every time I call I keep getting the "we are expecting a decision either today or tomorrow" line. Of course, this never happens.

If you have a claim that has been stopped take my advice. Hire a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. Do not... under any circumstances discuss your case with anyone from Liberty without representation. This company is NOT going to reinstate your claim once it has been stopped. According to my attorney you can expect them to fight every step of the way... use delay tactics... and ultimately deny you. Their reputation is well known among ERISA attorney's. In addition, many of the LTD contracts provided by employers through Liberty are written to prevent any kind of Long Term Disability support. The courts almost always rule in favor of Liberty because of these contract clauses.

You can expect your process to last several years from the date they stop paying. PLEASE make sure you have other means of support to help you through this period. Otherwise, as you can see by other reviewers below, you will lose everything while you wait for them to make a decision. If you do it alone or with an attorney you will suffer severe financial loss and a HUGE impact on your lifestyle. While many of us have already suffered such an impact due to our health... Liberty will add to this and will cause a deterioration of your condition. This occurs through stress, lack of funds to continue to pay for insurance, doctor copays, medications, etc.

If you are unable to maintain regular doctor visits because you lost your income and/or insurance (which is what happens when they stop paying your benefits) then you must go on Self Pay... At this point the average DR visit is $150-200 per visit, medications can range from $60-300 PER MEDICATION and if you need your doctor to do any additional paperwork there is usually an administrative fee of $50-100.

If, like me, you suffer from a chronic medical condition you will be bankrupt within three to six months. If you have ANY assets such as a home, car or a spouse that works (even at minimum wage) you will be IMMEDIATELY denied state assisted benefits such as Medicaid or SNAP. You will be left with no income, an inability to meet your medical expenses (which will then make your condition worse because you can't properly maintain your health) and you will face the destruction of your credit. If you should end up going to the hospital uninsured (as I did several times) you now face possible litigation, lawsuits and bankruptcy.

Yes, this is a grim picture. However, anyone who has dealt with Liberty Mutual LTD knows that what I am saying here is the complete truth. This is what they count on happening. Once you have been put into this position they know that responsible and credible adults will reach a point where they can no longer tolerate this and will seek to end the situation by returning to work. Once you do that... you are cooked. They know and they count on it.

A good ERISA attorney will tell you that you have a VERY slim chance of getting these benefits reinstated. The insurance companies have made the process so cumbersome and have gotten laws passed that make benefit reinstatement virtually impossible, even for the most critically ill, they are counting on you to give up.

You can also expect any conversation you have with anyone from Liberty to result in absolutely no resolution... none. In fact, if you have audacity to show any level of irritation or frustration you will be immediately put in your place. Remember, there is no circumstance where Liberty is ever to blame... lost paperwork (your fault), doctor fails to submit a report on time (your fault), inability to reach your case worker who doesn't answer the phone or return phone calls (your fault). I have documented notes of conversations I have had including dates, times and names of the people I spoke with... when referencing this information at a later date I have been told that my information is wrong and that they only go by the information and notes put into their system by their people.

In almost every circumstance this information was completely different from my notes and was skewed to support Liberty. While this is always a good practice don't expect this to amount to any substantial help down their line... including your court case... because both Liberty and the Courts assume your information is inaccurate and/or skewed to support YOUR interest. So Liberty notes are acceptable and are given a great deal of weight during the appeals process. Your notes are acceptable but given very little weight by the courts.

In conclusion, if you are awarded initial benefits from Liberty for LTD this is all that you can expect to get from them. Whether it is 6 mos or 2 years. Once those benefits are stopped FOR ANY REASON as determined by Liberty the chances of you appealing and receiving a reinstatement of those benefits is, according to ERISA lawyer statistics, less than 5%. So, make the best of your benefits. Apply for Social Security Disability (GET AN ATTORNEY TO HELP YOU WITH THIS). Try to pay down your debt, research your medical benefits and find out how long they will last, what additional costs you can expect in the future and be prepared to deal with the loss of your benefits.

I had a Liberty Mutual caseworker tell me that LTD is NOT meant to replace your income should you become permanently disabled. It is meant to help you transition from full time work into a permanently disabled lifestyle. Despite what you may have read when bought the policy they have NO INTENTION of providing benefits to you should you become permanently disabled.

I hope that this helps anyone who thinks that Liberty or any LTD policy will be there if they should need it. It will not... at best you can expect a couple of years of benefits and then they will pull the plug and leave you high and dry. Keep this in perspective... Understand that you will only receive short term help... And make plans for life AFTER Long Term Disability. This is the only way you will survive this process. Remember, the cards are stacked against you, the courts will always support the insurance company, and even if you have a mountain of doctors and medical team support... you WILL NOT be successful. The system is designed to work this way. Good luck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Stopped. Whoever is considering filing a class action suit against them please advise. I am tired of not getting paid because they don't get just the right documentation. I have had 4 doctors tell me that Liberty Mutual requests more information than anyone including SSI. If they dont get it in on time I miss a check. Try eating with no money and they are making my disease worse. They need to be stopped.

Someone on this thread was so right - they are dragging their feet so hard in hopes you quit and go away. I'm filing a complaint with the EEOC as well as looking into a lawyer. I have done everything I can to be responsible and staying in communication with them. An FYI when LMI sent out an employee survey on their employee like the company to work for.. only 34% said they did and even less said they would recommend to anyone one working there. Sad isn't it.

I worked for a company for 30 years that has long term disability insurance through Liberty Mutual. In June 2014 I had to leave my job due to severe chronic back pain & failed spinal fusion surgery. In addition I have peripheral neuropathy, osteoarthritis, stage 3 kidney failure, degenerative disk disease & fibromyalgia.

The pain was so bad I could not walk without a cane or walker. I was an inventory control accountant. I was on pain meds daily several times a day. Found it very difficult to concentrate on my duties & was reprimanded several times because my employer felt I was not doing my job based on previous performance reviews which were excellent prior to my injury.

When I left the company I filed a claim for long term disability with my my employer's insurance company. I was initially denied. I hired an Erisa attorney to help. After 12 months the claim was approved & I received a back pay check in October 2015. Two months later December 2015 they closed my claim saying I could go back to work. My attorney filed an appeal with additional information. Again LM overturned their ruling & reopened my claim issuing another back pay check for 7 months in July 2016. I received my monthly payments for August & September. Then my attorney informed me Liberty Mutual was closing my claim again after seeing their sports medicine dr for 20 minutes & no testing or looking at my medical records.

Now we have to appeal this again. My drs & vocational therapists have stated that I cannot work. I am getting Social Security disability Thank God! My medical issues have gotten worse & my pain is worse. The neuropathy is spreading to my hands now & my back pain has moved up my back to my shoulder blades in my cervical area. I have numbness in my fingers also. Liberty Mutual is a thief! They make you jump through hoops only to pull you back & put you through stressful fighting for legitimate disability claims. Someone needs to pull their license to do business! The government has seen fit that I am disabled. My drs who know my history & issues say I am disabled. Why then can't Liberty Mutual pay my claim & be done with it instead of this push me pull me scenario??? This is serious...but they treat it like a joke & make you out to be a criminal when in fact they are the criminal!!!

Unlike many who have written negatively of Liberty Mutual Insurance Group Benefits Disability Claims I have had a very positive experience with the company. I can't speak for others when I do not know the true circumstances surrounding their cases so I will only speak to mine. I had paid for both STD (Short Term Disability) and LTD (Long Term Disability) through my company for years. As soon as my disability affected me I notified Liberty Mutual immediately. They collected the required information and my disability payments began immediately. At each of my renewal points I did not run into any problems with Liberty Mutual. Why was I successful in my case? My answer to many is that I took an active role in helping Liberty Mutual to have the latest medical information surrounding my case to expedite the claims process.

Every time I went to a doctor I automatically filled out a release of medical information form to release my records to Liberty Mutual and told the attending physician's office staff that this information from the visit was needed right away by Liberty Mutual. In the case where I was seeing a physician or specialist that I had seen previously and already signed the release of medical information form I just kindly reminded the office staff to not forget that Liberty Mutual needed this information sent to them immediately so as not to interrupt my disability payments. When I was given a visit summary at the end of the appointment I faxed those in right away to Liberty Mutual also. Second myself and Liberty Mutual Insurance kept our lines of communication open. I would call them and give them all upcoming doctor appointments and procedures that were already scheduled so they had a "history" looking forward so to speak.

I would also verify with them all doctors that they should have information from and if there was a doctor that had not sent them their notes I was on the phone immediately to that doctor reminding them that Liberty Mutual needed copies of my latest treatment notes immediately and my doctors always got them sent out to them. Now my short term disability is getting ready to expire and my case would be turning towards my Long Term Disability at which point I am starting to notice that it seems to be a bit more of a struggle and I'm not quite sure why that is yet. I do know that my case manager switched to a John ** who I have maintained communication with again by phone and by fax. I am hoping for a positive outcome in the continuation of my benefits but at the same time I must admit I am worried because health wise I have gotten worse but at the same time their approach to me seems to have changed a bit.

They do offer me reassurance when I speak to them on the phone and have said that they are moving towards sitting up my Long Term Disability Claim so I'm trying to remain positive. I think overall it is just a fact of being honest with the company and not overstating medically what is wrong but providing factual documentation from my team of physicians in a timely manner to Liberty Mutual. Some may say that I'm doing all the leg work when it should be Liberty Mutual doing the work but realistically one must remember that your case managers do not know what doctors or what procedures you are having done without your input and keeping them up-to-date or in-the-loop. Your case managers are probably handling hundreds if not thousands of cases each and so it is vital that you be on the forefront of keeping them informed.

My STD did run on 09/15/2016 but they assured me that once they gather all their information required that if it meets the necessary requirements that payment will be backdated to the last day of my STD which again was 09/15/2106. Next month I will be moving into LTD if all goes according to schedule with Liberty Mutual. I have only dealt with one "bad apple" and that was telephonically. I called back immediately and got someone different and they whole heartedly apologized and tried to reassure me. I hope this gives others a ray of hope in your case moving forward.

Back in February I went out of work for diabetes type 1 with severe neuropathy in both feet. I also have hypothyroidism, depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, and more medical issues. Doctor told me I probably will never work again so I applied for social security disability and short term disability. Everything as far as Liberty Mutual was ok up until August 20th. I then was contacted by Liberty Mutual long term disability and they said they needed all these different doctors that I seen to submit all the notes test etc so they could review to see if I qualify for long term.

I went off of short term August 20th and I just got a call from Liberty Mutual on 9-15-16 and they say my claim is denied. Here I thought wow first time filing social security I got approved and this company denies me. I'd look elsewhere for short and long term insurance because this company is clueless because for one I'm in a wheelchair and two wheelchairs aren't allowed in facility so I'm guessing they're saying I can go back to work. This is my experience I have had with this company.

I recently went out on short term disability. I have major depression and anxiety. I also have Crohn's Disease. When my depression/anxiety get bad it exacerbates my Crohn's, which if you know about Crohn's it can get bad. I went out in June after recently coming back from the same issues. I knew I should have stayed out instead of coming and having the chance of me going back out again. I felt pressured to go back to work. Anyways they told me the claim would still be issued under the old one. I had all of my Dr's notes sent over to Liberty.

They denied my claim just a little over a week ago. I find it funny how it takes them over a month to finally make a decision. I was denied saying I didn't have a serious health or mental conditions. I was thinking are these people for real? So I haven't been paid for over a month and my bank account is low on funds. I filed an appeal to their decision so I had to resend all the information that was previously. I was told I would get an answer to my appeal within 45 days. I have bills to pay and no money coming in.

Now I was sent paperwork from my employer stating since I haven't gotten paid my benefits have not been taken out. So I have to pay out of my own pocket to keep the benefits. I feel again I am being forced to go back to work when I'm not ready. I know I will end up losing my job if I go back and I'm not medically cleared to. I've been thinking of hiring a lawyer but with hardly any money how can I do that? I've been reading these reviews and my anxiety and depression have risen even more.

I got hurt on the job in 2011 lifting a patient at a assisted living. Liberty Mutual sent me to their nurse and she wretched on my leg, said I was fine. Returned me back to work and put me on light duty. Well by the time I drove 20 miles back home my knee calf and foot was all swollen, the pain was unbearable. I took it upon myself to see my family doctor because something was clearly wrong. I was pissed as well after I waited and drove all that way I didn't get seen by a actual doctor. My doctor took me off work, put me in knee mobilizer and sent me to get X-rays and MRI done. He didn't mess around, he clearly seen something was wrong. I told my supervisor I had seen my own doctor and she yelled at me threaten to fire me. 10 mins. later Liberty Mutual calls and says that I am not covered anymore...

Well told them clearly something's wrong and maybe they should have sent me to a doctor instead of a nurse. So they kept me on WC until I seen the doctor. Next day drove 20 miles back to same place, was seen by doctor, he did x-ray and came back, I had Baker's cyst. Well Liberty Mutual dropped me again. End of story there. Well fast forward I ended up quitting my job weeks later. I couldn't do the work anymore, long hours walking, standing and bending I end up getting a lawyer in 2012 because injury has not gotten any better. I end up having surgery in 2013. Torn meniscus, MCL, lateral patella was torn. Here it is 2016 still fighting to get $40,000 worth of hospital bills paid. I have not received a dime from these people. I have lost everything, brand new dodge truck $35,000, $140,000 house, EVERYTHING!

So here I am last month doing research and find this site and I also found out what a Baker's cyst is caused from!!! Well a Baker's cyst is caused by drainage from a cartilage tear!!! WOW SO I WAS DROPPED BECAUSE THE DOCTOR DIDN'T KNOW WTH he was doing as well!!! This whole time I am kicking myself in the ass for not looking up "Baker's cyst" just when I was getting ready to give up on my case!!! They just added fuel to my fire!!! I do agree on whomever posted a class action lawsuit does need to happen here. So many of us have been hurt and not able to work and have lost everything because they can't step up to the plate. I am 26 years old this injury happened when I was 21!!! Every day I have had to live with pain. on top of pain WC don't cover pain either which is **. They do people so wrong... SMH class action lawsuit count me in. My leg, body will never be the same.

I am beside my self to see the complaints written about Liberty Mutual Disability Insurance. I have been disabled and out of work with no income since November 2012. When I applied for benefits November 2012 they denied me, and I asked them how will I live. I have paid for short term and long term disability out of my paycheck. My employer paid some and I paid some. They said I need to go back to work. I was very ill and my doctor disabled me, I have Fibromyalgia and I was having tremendous problems. I was in bathroom at work a lot and I had symptoms so bad I couldn't concentrate. So I retained an attorney who carried me for a year and dropped my case saying he didn't know enough about my condition and that it really wasn't enough money for him anyways. I lost everything and moved in with my mother.

My employer called me and explained that since I didn't receive benefits I owed them $1000 for the benefits they covered. During this discussion I found out they had so many employees off work sick and Liberty denied their claims too. My employer had to collect money for the benefits they paid for these employees because the disability benefits did not come through. Subsequently my employer dropped Liberty Mutual and went with another company. No doubt this is why.

This feels like a crime to treat people this way who have worked all of their lives. And since 2012 I have been to many doctors trying to find out why I was so sick? I succeeded at that. I have several other diagnosis, I had endometriosis so bad it had strangled my intestines to the point it changed their anatomical place. My doctor had to cut me open 10 inches up and down to save my life.

I then was diagnosed with diabetes, bursitis. And I am still just as sick as I was when I was working. I am disabled and I struggle every day with nausea, inability to get out of bed, the fibromyalgia paralyzes me. My intestines still hurt and make me sick. It feels like everything is too hard to do. I have struggled with being sick for 20 years. The diabetes has hurt my eyesight and I am so tired. They are still diagnosing me with things. I have lost all of my dignity, I have no income. And I thought I was securing my future by purchasing insurance through Liberty Mutual. Is there anyone that has started a class action lawsuit? I know plenty of people I worked with were denied. Please don't let them get away with this.

I was injured at work in October of 2005. I fell downstairs and when my employer filed the claim Liberty Mutual (LM) declined the claim! WTF! I went to my primary care physician he sent for diagnostic examinations (x-rays, MRI, EMG, etc). The results were I fractured my hand, tore my rotator cuff, tore my knee, fractured a lumbar vertebrae, and cervical spine disc protrusion. After fighting with LM and paying out of pocket for tests and doctors bills, I hired a lawyer. Come the Winter of 2006, LM approved for my to have my shoulder surgery. Spring of 2008, approved my knee surgery. Fall of 2010, approved the lumbar surgery and cervical treatment. The trend with Liberty Mutual is not to do the right thing! They will make you wait and suffer in pain hoping you give up the fight and walk away! LM does not want to pay at all. They don't care about people!

I am ready to file a class action lawsuit against Liberty Mutual. I'm going to lose everything. They say their personal nurse reviewed my claim and it's denied because the doctors don't have a diagnosis. I've been getting tests done and following orders for three months. I paid in for years to this company and expected it to be ok. Getting 60% of my pay is not good but at least I would have been able to juggle my bills. At this point three months later finally getting an answer and it's the run around. I only get to talk to my claim examiner if I threaten to go over her head. Now she said they don't have supporting documentation to show that I am sick. WELLLLL...the doctor would not have taken me out of work if it wasn't mandatory for me to be in bed! I'm so angry and distraught. I may go to the hospital now for anxiety attack. If you want to join me in this lawsuit email me. I'm ready to fight their company over this.

Liberty Mutual has tried to get out of paying as much as they can. They really got bad when I got a lawyer, caused me to be evicted, car repo and continues to cause me headaches. They play with sending your money to you. Go to direct deposit and they still do. I think this insurance company needs to be shut down. They know their limits and push them. The only way I got some justice was them screwing up on something they were ordered to do and then when court day was coming up and their lawyer found out I hadn't got what the judge ordered then magically everything got given to me. Now months later they are back at it again holding funds. They do everything they can to try to make you give up. I laugh at their auto commercials. This company is only out for your money. So I just want it to be known that I have been dealing with their antics going on two years.

I've been a nurse my entire life. I've paid my disability ins. faithfully my entire life. I recently had an MRI that showed a vertebra in my lower back bulge forward and I couldn't even walk. Liberty Mutual did everything they could to delay payment. I knew then what was coming. They denied my claim because it didn't require surgery. They said they don't pay for pain. I had payments to make and mouths to feed but they didn't care. They are without a doubt the most heartless Co I've ever had to deal with. The hospital I work for hired them knowing that they would do this to their employees. They want the word to get around so employees will work hurt rather than lose their car or house. I have to go back to work in this condition so I can feed my family. I also have to pass a physical to get back to work, so if I can't pass that then I'm out of a job.

I wish I would've known that my hospital had hired this Co because I would've found a new job. I've heard of people having trouble with this Co and how EVIL they are. I just can't believe that they get away with it. After reading the reviews I can see that appealing this is going to be a joke. I do know that these people have to answer for this someday. I'm glad I'll be in a different place. It takes an EVIL person to take a job that hurts people who are in need of help. I am proud to say that I've tried to help my patients to the best of my ability my whole career. I would never do to someone what they have done to me. Shame on Liberty Mutual!! If we are lucky this Co will go under and all of these people will have to try to pay the bills in their houses.

I know there are people out there that abuse the system but my mother always taught us to work hard and be honest. Tears... I'm a late 50's female and I don't have my mom any more. I don't have anyone to lean on. I will pray for these people because they surely need it. I hope that all of the people they're hurting make it through their situation and become stronger and wiser from it. Thank you for reading my plight. God bless you all.

I applied for secondary disability insurance which I pay into monthly when my daughter tried to commit suicide. I was staying home with her during at the request of our doctor and was still denied. How can you deny a claim like that? These people aren't making decisions based off of medical info. How can they? They aren't doctors. They're insurance agents. What qualifies them to make these decisions? Clearly my doctor thought it was something that needed to be done and still it was denied.

This is by far one of the worst companies. They clearly prove they are out to get your money and that's it. I pay them a good amount every month so when I need the help, it's there! But nope. Denied based off of a little girl sitting at a desk who has ZERO medical background. Amazing. I know I won't be paying into that company anymore. Oh and 7 years ago I was denied again when I was out for a hysterectomy. Denied for a hysterectomy. It wasn't serious enough apparently. The worst company ever.

I filed a claim which in my handbook for work states I can file for in advance. I did because I knew I had test coming up such and deep ultrasound and CT scans. My case worker Francine was absolutely the worse person to deal with. Rude and condescending attitude and that holier than thou tone on the phone. If I called her she would call me back maybe and I do mean MAYBE within two or three days. I have asked for a new case manager with nothing being done. I have been declined once and my job is now on the line. I have doctor's notes for the entire time I have been out of work. They have been sent but have gotten little or no help. She even has a message on her phone that states "If you call me more than once it will take longer for me to contact you..." What the heck is that? I have found out I have liver cysts and I am IBS-C with extreme acid reflux which feel like a ton of cement bricks on your chest and it's scary. Don't know what to do.

Liberty Mutual is a deceitful and crooked company!! I will update my situation very soon but wanted to add to the hundreds of complaints that I've read so far. It truly feels as if I am living the terrible complaints that are so similar as reported. They are not supportive and they begin your denial process from the first call. VIDEO RECORD EVERY CONVERSATION SO YOU CAN REFERENCE THE FACTS LATER WHEN YOU WILL NEED AN ATTORNEY. They manipulate anything they can to set you up for denial. Keep every letter, and The envelope to record the post mark. You will soon know what I mean. I just want to warn you now. Do not use them for your health ltd or anything important. They suspended my approved claim because they "didn't receive medical records from the doctors office." Lies, lies.

I had to get a statement from my doctor office showing the 12 "successful faxes". MY CASE MANAGER LITERALLY TOLD ME THAT SHE DIDN'T CARE WHAT MY DOCTOR OFFICE SAID AND THAT THEY WEREN'T RECEIVED. Again, I have a lot to say and will do. I have kept a clean case file (3 folders now and 3 Inches thick each file). Almost 2 hours of video recorded conversations and voice mails. They claim that they don't like to email with their customers but do it anyway. With everything that is about to happen to you this will help you prove their deceit and lies. Will update you soon as I am meeting with my attorney this week! Protect yourself but if already have them listen to me and all of the other people on this thread!!

I was assigned a case manager after being off work for due to being diagnosed with brain cancer while 6 months pregnant. My case manager and I discussed that I had received numerous complaints about Liberty Mutual dragging their feet and not finalizing claims for up to 8 weeks; sometimes more. He assured me that he would do his part as long as I got my paperwork faxed over to him as soon as I received it. I did just that. Every time I called him for status updates or just a courtesy call, I would be directed to his voicemail. It didn't do me any good because he never returned my phone calls. I asked for my claim to be reassigned to a new case manager, and the manager I spoke would not reassign my claim. I am now at 8 weeks without a paycheck. I wish there was another option for me to file LTD through, but unfortunately I am stuck with these people who don't care to help. They keep saying that they understand... but they can't possibly...

I was out of work due to a hostile work environment for a month. They have been working on this claim since the second week of September. I have left several messages for my case worker and she has not returned my calls. I call today to only find out that they denied my claim. They said they didn't have enough proof that I couldn't work and do my job. This is the second claim that has been filed with them that they have denied. The first claim was I had surgery... They said I could have returned back to work earlier. What is the point to pay for insurance when they won't pay when you need it. This company is not very professional and I will be contacting a lawyer!!

My husband passed away 4 days after being diagnosed with cancer. I have never dealt with the issues that come with dying, such as funerals, cremation, etc. He had made me his beneficiary on an annuity that he was getting through Liberty Mutual insurance company. He had been hurt on the job (Boston Pet Supply). He was receiving a monthly annuity check of 528.00 and when he died I was to receive 285,000.

At the time of his death, we were living in a motel and because he died, my daughter and I were thrown out on the streets, due to losing his income. I had to live on the streets with my daughter and it ended with me losing all of our belongings in storage. That's where the paperwork was with the beneficiary details. Liberty Mutual Insurance company (his agent's name was P.J.) told me I was only entitled to 528.00 for 18 months. Because I didn't have the paperwork, I had no leg to stand on.

So as the months passed by, I lost my storage, my sanity, my car, and even my daughter. 528 did not even cover 2 weeks of rent in a motel. 18 months at 528 is 9504. I was left 285,000 which still leaves 275,496.00. Where is that money? My husband passed away thinking my daughter and I would have no worries and would be taken care of. He is rolling over in his grave knowing that our lives went to hell. I hope that me submitting this will start an investigation and perhaps even maybe eventually I will receive the money my husband left me.

I slipped while exiting store. I have been here Save-a-Lot on Raccoon Rd over 100X or more. If I wouldn't of grabbed stacked up water on side of door I would of smashed right into window. Went to e.r. for stomach and knee. Come to find out I had sprained knee, happened on Aug 3, 2015. Claims rep Nichole **, employees seen it happen, sat me down took report. There were 2 bottles of broken oil on table where I sat by. Took off my shoe and oil it was! They say they couldn't find on floor because it was on bottom of my shoe! Very upset they didn't offer me anything, I would not recommend this insurance!

I was very disappointed in the way my long term disability claim was handled. I have worked in healthcare for 20 years. About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with a chronic and progressive pain condition. It is very difficult to manage due to its many symptoms let alone be able to work. Several doctors agreed I was no longer able to work. I followed every treatment recommended by my physicians: pain medications, physical therapy, pain clinic infusions, injections, and more medication. I even requested help from my Congressman.

We were unable to pay rent for 6 months and only by the grace of God were we able to get the money we needed to stay in our home with our 3 young children But I was denied benefits. I found a reputable attorney and appealed. Again I was denied. I paid into this insurance every 2 weeks for several years. I continue to be disabled and at 39 have great difficulty leaving the house. I go to my doctor appointments and drive through pharmacy, other than that I am home bound. Now I must use food stamps to supplement my family's income. It is humiliating. I have worked since I was 11. Now I have nothing.

August 05, 2005 I was working on the road taking the cones off and setting them on the side of the road because it was the end of the day and we was about to go home. The guy was backing the truck up, he knew that we was back there. He was driving too fast and hit me in my lower back, went into the air, fell on the Hot road. Couldn't walk, in so much pain and till this day living with Diseases from this injury. So I started looking in the phonebook for a lawyer, he sent me papers to sign to work on my case. I was awarded lifetime Medical benefits from Liberty Mutual Inc. Okay, then I received a letter in the mailbox saying I had a meeting to the Eastville courthouse with my Lawyer and Liberty Mutual Inc. Nobody showed up to this meeting but only Me. I waited for a very long time and Nobody came to this meeting. I call my lawyer, he was still at his office in Norfolk Virginia. Told him I was there to my meeting and why they wasn't there.

Told him he was fired from my case then 2 weeks later I get a letter from Liberty Mutual Inc with a check for $2998 and papers to sign. I didn't understand the papers because I went to a learning center school and was very slow with learning disabilities. When I signed them and sent the letters off, Liberty Mutual Inc close my case and the lawyer that I had, he was fired from my case soon as my case got close, he left the company that he was working for. My case was close on October 19, 2006, they paid him off why they wasn't at the meeting at the courthouse with me.

I am living with Degenerative disc disease symptoms and Bulge Herniation Disc, also Facet Disease Symptoms and been dealing with these Severe symptoms all my life. From the time the injury happen, I will love to file a lawsuit against Liberty Mutual Inc for $500,000.00 and my Award Lifetime Benefits for Pain and suffering. Have to get Surgery done Very Soon, really need a good Lawyer to help me with this case.

I have epilepsy and have worked for the state for many years. Normally Liberty Mutual is good paying if I'm off for a short period of time. This time around I had a seizure at work and was actually injured and was hospitalized and had to be off for much longer for more than 3 months. After the three months, liberty mutual started asking questions. My doctor read and filled out the many paperwork they needed.

I just saw my doctor today and apparently she had spoken to a doctor at Liberty Mutual, and within a five minute conversation the Liberty Mutual doctor has concluded that I wasn't an epileptic and has contorted all of my doctor's words around on the medical report. My doctor was very upset and had to call him back and correct everything. But when my doctor tried to call him back, the liberty doctor was just contracted and wasn't actually a doctor that worked on site. So obviously these doctors that liberty mutual hire to do their reports purposely falsify the medical reports so that liberty mutual can deny short term and long term disability claims.

I now Have to hire a lawyer, quit my job and apply for social security disability just to survive and feed my family. I can't believe that these companies do this to people who are in need...When I was working for more than ten years they didn't hesitate to take my money out of my paycheck every two weeks. It's my damn money!!! You owe it to me!!!

5 years ago I was injured while employed at Home Depot. I hired an attorney. The outcome was that workers comp. (Liberty Mutual) would cover all med. care and prescriptions. Now, 5 years in and a new adjuster, they are denying my treatment. I am having to pay for co-pays and scripts out of pocket and my Medicare is paying. The new adjuster is not friendly with myself or my doctor's office. She claims that she is sending me for an independent medical review. That was over a month ago and I've heard nothing. Been treating for the exact same thing, chronic back pain, for 5 years and now all of a sudden they want to know if it's because of the "work related injury". Not sure where to go from here now. I cannot afford to pay for an attorney to fight this.

Had my daughter at 26 weeks and developed postpartum only for my OB/GYN to retire. Was told by next doctor that I needed therapist and psychiatrist in which I got and was diagnosed with PTSD and Depression. Doctors told Liberty I wasn't able to return to work at that time in which they still denied my claim after they made me wait a month. They take your money all these years then deny you your rights to use it.

I've been out of work for 8 months with chronic back pain. I've recently come across the diagnosis of what was causing my pain, as it had stemmed from my back into my groin, and I had been seeing a few different urologists that were treating me the entire time. Instead of assisting me with my claim, they continued to prod and deny me, because there was no "physical proof" that I was hurt. Mind you, there were 2 different doctor notes instructing that I was unable to work and was required to remain bed-ridden until further notice. Not only did they not help me, they denied me twice, because of the "lack of proof" they had received. They ALSO provided me with the worst customer service I had ever encountered. Instead of checking in with me and answering my calls when I phoned in, they would in fact, send my calls to voicemail and wouldn't honor their "call customers back within 24 hour" code? Would you call it a code?

Anyway, they continually left me in the dark, they didn't find me as a priority or attempt to help me in any way and ended up denying my claim in full because they didn't have a diagnosis from the doctor. Regardless of the proof from work, the 2 notes from the doctors, the 10-20 office claims and visits I had physically sent them copies of. Instead of receiving my short-term benefits, which would have covered up to $3,000 of the out-of-pocket costs, I ended up paying everything on my own. In which, I still owe about $2,000. Total, it's come to about $4,800, which has definitely caused panic in this household.

I'm receiving treatment now and was approached by another short-term benefit service that may actually assist me with my claim. But, Liberty Mutual is one of the worst services I've ever had to go through and I advise anyone with a legitimate claim to avoid this service altogether. Find an alternate route if possible, because these people will leave you in the dark and will do anything they can to avoid assisting you.

First sign up for liberty mutual I thought it was a good deal. Not even a week into transfer insurance liberty mutual took money out of my bank without me knowing and made me wait 14 days for them to give me back the money they had no permission to take from my account, by them doing that it made my bank fee me every day and till the money was put back. Every time you call to speak to someone everyone gives you a different answer.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Liberty Mutual has been providing a variety of insurance coverages to individuals since 1912. It is currently the third largest property and casualty insurance provider in the United States.

• Offers integrated group plans for employers: Employers can purchase insurance for employees that includes both long-term and short-term options.
  • Offers additional tools for employers: Companies can get help with compliance with ADA regulations for employees with disabilities or monitor lost work time and track claims payments using online tools.
  • Return To Work Toolkit: The Return to Work Toolkit helps employees get back to work faster after suffering a disabling condition.
  • Fully functional online portal: Users can make and track claims online.
  • Full support for employees: Users can visit a regional center, make claims online or by telephone, or participate in an employee assistance program to get disability-related problems handled.
  • Best for People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Compare Disability Insurance