1.14/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Liberty Mutual - Disability

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 16, 2018

181 Liberty Mutual - Disability Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 16, 2018

Liberty Mutual is a company that is considered a third party vendor for the company that I work for. They are horrible. I was put on leave of absence on March 30th by my doctor. I called Liberty Mutual and let them know on the 3rd what was going on on the third Liberty Mutual contact in my doctor's office. My doctor's office gave them the necessary information to know why they were placing me on a leave of absence.

As of today April 16 2018, they call me and tell me it was denied because my doctor didn't put enough information, that's BS, if my doctor says I need to be off I need to be off. I haven't heard anything from them besides me calling them. They care nothing about me only their pocket. When I call my HR department they say it's OUT of their hands. How convenient is that? Liberty Mutual Liberty does not give a fart about anybody but themselves. I think there should be a class a lawsuit against LIBERTY MUTUAL AS someone else in these complaints have stated.

Original review: April 16, 2018

This company has single handedly won my unofficial award of the most suspicious and fraudulent company I have ever dealt with. Though I have mountains of medical transcripts that I have viewed with my own eyes and sent them to the company personally, though several doctors, nurses and therapists have stated I have a cognitive disability the company loves to take the premium but will not pay out as their documentation states it will. Someone needs to put an end to these crooks reign of deception. If many doctors say I am disabled, you (Liberty Mutual), don’t get to decide I am not just to save yourself money! Make good on your promises, you have compromised my financial situation as well as my credibility at work by blatantly disregarding competent doctor opinions as well as your own promises. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I've recently submitted a short term disability claim. I've paid my premium on time expecting that if and when it was ever needed I would be able to cover bills until returning to work. I've returned all paperwork that was needed 2 weeks into claim. It's been 7 weeks now and just today was informed it's my job to obtain medical records to be sent in. Worst insurance company I've ever had to deal with. Clearly an incompetent staff who fails to inform people of the correct and necessary paperwork needed. I'm confused that I had to wait 3 weeks for paperwork from Liberty Mutual to sign for medical records to be released to them WHEN I'M THE ONE WHO HAS TO GO OBTAIN THE RECORDS MYSELF. I feel Liberty Mutual has a total disregard for the financial struggles of an ill and off work person.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Last year in June I was injured on the job at the client's location in Michigan, so my never explained to me about Workers' Compensation, the only thing my job cared about was having me at work so I once it was time for me to get my stitches out and seek follow up care from a specialist my boss denied me from going and final in late September of last year I decided to seek other remedies.

Not knowing that when I call to initiate the report I gave information that prove I was employed because my job made a claim concerning a car accident and found out recently that the claims adjuster Jennifer ** was paying out of an Auto claim which I was never in a car accident and the bill reflects that issue. Workers' Compensation is joke because of the process and they're formal adjusters themselves... As citizens who have rights I feel we all should do a class action lawsuit for all 50 states and let's completely exit out Liberty Mutual Group for all states because what they're doing is criminal.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Like many people here I have been paying my insurance premium for 10 yrs. I recently had a major heart attack which left me in Stage 3 CHF. I went on short term disability and it was paid. I then went on LTD and they paid for 6 months. At that time Social Security Disability accepted my claim. I am now receiving my disability benefits. However that leaves me 1400.00 a month short of when Liberty Mutual stopped making payments. Liberty Mutual demanded the retroactive money back. About 10K. Shortly after repaying them they stopped sending me my checks. They said I was OK to go back to work.

I have filed a appeal with the Federal Courts. I have been told that due to the IRSA law that Liberty Mutual is allowed to stop payments. Even if Social Security Disability approves your claim as mine did. Liberty Mutual was still able to deny my payments. Liberty Mutual told me which jobs I was eligible to work such as a 911 operator or dispatch position. These positions at starting wage pay less than half of my last job. I am now trying to negotiate with Liberty Mutual for a settlement amount. According to my attorney. Since my cardio doctor stated that I could do sedimentary work the insurance will fight my claim. If I lose this because of the doctor's statement. Do I have a medical malpractice suit? Very frustrated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: March 19, 2018

Liberty Mutual sucks! Today begins week four of being out of work due to surgery and my STD was just approved today and to top it off, approval was only given up to yesterday. I told her that I'm out of work until my follow up appt on April 2nd, then she states she is going to need more paperwork from the MD. Mind you, the original paperwork already stated I would be out for six weeks. When I asked why it took so long, the case manager replied "I don't know". So I asked who approved the claim. And she said she did. So my question becomes, "If you approved it, then why did it take so long to be approved" and she continues to state she doesn't know why with major attitude. When I asked if my case could be given to another case manager she said everyone has a lot of cases and the service would be the same. If this is the best they can do, they need to get out of the business. I pray I never need to use STD again!!!

Original review: March 15, 2018

Filed a STD claim in September 2017 and it's been nothing but a hassle. It's nothing but fighting with them for months to get a single check and then it's back to fighting with them. My claim has been under review for over a month now. They can care less if you're unable to work and become homeless. Without receiving any checks, I'm close to losing my home as well as having all my utilities shut off in addition to losing my health insurance as I'm unable to pay my premiums. My family starves as I'm unable to provide food for us anymore as I have zero dollars to my name and it's been this way for over a month now.

Original review: March 8, 2018

My husband had a heart attack and as a result, developed PTSD from it, which included debilitating panic attacks that mimicked a heart attack. At one point, he was being carted off by ambulance from his work at least 2 times a month. He was able to get his approval for an FMLA so he could protect his employment status while trying to navigate this issue. First, their agents ignore you if you try to reach out to them. They literally avoid your phone call. He would frequently try to get in touch with his rep to no avail. When he reached out to the normal customer service and escalated it to management, guess who magically responds immediately... with an attitude!

Then, their agents request overlapping records that were already submitted, doesn't follow up, and puts people's job security in jeopardy! Their livelihood. For a man who suffers from panic attacks from a heart condition to qualify for the FMLA in the first place, this company is going to kill him. Today, my husband gets pulled into the supervisor's office because they haven't received anything for his FMLA from Liberty Mutual since OCTOBER! It's MARCH! HOWWW? How are they still in business? How do they get away with making the client facilitate all communication between the employer and this trash company? How do they charge this much for bare minimum coverage?

How is it OK that my husband is about to lose his job because they don't want to do theirs??? Can we send the ambulance bills to Liberty Mutual because they have caused an enormous amount of panic and anxiety at this point? If he does have another heart attack from this crap, will Liberty Mutual finally take responsibility for the cause? This is absurd. I think Metro PCS has better customer service than this company. That, in itself, is pathetic. And why would employers keep doing business with a company that clearly has such a bad rap for this? Look at these reviews. They all have common themes. They literally only got 1 star because I couldn't choose to not rate it.

He doesn't get paid for FMLA. It is solely to protect him from the company's attendance policy. No one is "losing" money here. He pays significantly for this coverage. And this is what we get. When does it stop? When do big companies stop getting to sell the worst quality products and services to their customers who don't have another option? This isn't a case of "someone was mean to me so I'm going to write a review". This is a bigger picture. This is "my husband is going to lose his job because a service he was approved for and pays for won't do its job". I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy. Employers, stop doing business that affect your employees with crap companies!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Unfortunately this is the company my employer has chosen for FMLA reporting. This company does not notify you of when paperwork is due until the last minute or the leave ID is closed and you have to create a new one. No one in customer support can tell you the last days you used FMLA or when you will accrue more. The website is a joke. It is never updated and often shows time available when in fact it isn't. I recently have a leave closed due to no paperwork. They said they mailed it and they didn't have the correct address--which I have gotten mail from them before. I don't know why they didn't notify me via e-mail since that is how most companies do.

So they e-mailed me paperwork and have it dated end date NEXT month. They said my employer has different dates than they do and the employer ended it on 2/13/18 and Liberty ends it 3/17/18. This means I will have to have TWO Dr appointments just to continue it until next month and then ANOTHER one next month. This is the worst company possible to work with. So I go to the Dr tomorrow and again next month. I do not have the paperwork I will need when Liberty's end date is in March for the next year- so will they close it again and I have to wait for more paperwork? Are they expecting 3 appointments with my Dr in 5 weeks time? I wish I had a say to HR and let them know how terrible this company is. But then, they must be cheap for an employer.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

My only question is how are these crooks not in jail? They did according to Fortune 500 38.3 Billion last year. They have had a 96% increase in profits since 2015. Because they simply DONT PAY CLAIMS. They will use any and every excuse in the book to delay processing, or turn you down for the smallest of reasons. I had a rupture of my patellar tendon after a toe amputation. I have never injured my knees in my life. They were perfect. According to their doctor who has never seen me or examined me.

I somehow managed to tear one of the strongest toughest to tear tendons in the human body because of a toe amputation. Their reason was I fell off balance causing it to rupture. That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. They then used the an existing condition caused it to rupture. I would like to know from them in writing from their doctor how often a amputated toe can cause such an injury. Cause I can't find one single case of it ever happening. My doctor who performed the surgery on my knee made no such statement gave no such determination designated to that injury being caused by a amputated toe.

So now I got to go through this long procedure to prove them wrong. In which case I will fight them to the death.

But aside from that here is what I have learned. These doctors they use and the insurance company itself face no disciplinary consequences for their being outright thieves. And causing the destruction of lives that they are paid to insure. They take the money from companies by offering them lower premiums because they have no intention on paying the claims. It's nothing but straight profit. They often deny LTD claims. This is about as criminal as it gets. My company has already paid for the policy so they take the money then deny you.

That's how it works. It's designed for you to give up go back to work albeit mad but what do. They care, they got paid and didn't have to pay out anything. Other than short term which is basically paid by the company. They face no repercussions on any level for these gross acts of neglect. They need to be sued and not just them. The sleazy doctors they use as well should have their licenses pulled and revoked for straight lying for profit. I will be putting up a page on Facebook as soon as I can figure out how to do it for a petition against them and their practices. Which is called bad faith practices. I will call for reputable companies not use their services.

I am looking to start a class action lawsuit against them. I'm going to make a video and place it on Facebook. We need to get the word out to as many people as we can and have them sign. Then we can get a law firm to go after them. They are common criminals dressed in suits. And worst yet they are destroying the very live they are paid to help. So let's not let them get away with it. Ill fight them myself if I have to. But they need to be held accountable. Period. And together we can do it. So get the word out. I will be on Facebook to try and build a page for the petition. I may get back on here and share the necessary information. I have lost everything.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I had to go to emergency room and was out sick for 2 & 1/2 months. When I applied for disability I told the representative lady there were 3 doctors whom I had visited. She only got records from 2 doctors and did not wait for the record from 3rd doctor and denied my claim. This was even when she knew I was visiting the 3rd doctor. I then had to make a appeal with all records and forms.

3 times her fax machine came busy, then I called and did a certified mail. I got a call within 3 weeks of them receiving my appeal and a thorough review was going on and a final answer would be out by 2 weeks. It has been more than 2 month still no answer. I am unable to understand if this is their normal practice to make people run around them and deny claim purposefully? And why are they collecting payments from every employee paycheck and not providing help when employee need it?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

After being in a car accident and not able to return from work, I thought I was safe and protected because I had paid for short term and long term disability benefits through my work. I received the short term benefits with the added headache of constantly having to supply documentation that was sent multiple times via my doctor's office and would be approved for short periods of times and then it would start all over. When the short term disability ran out and it was switched to long term, I was denied because LM “medical review staff” stated I was able to go back to work and that the medications that I am on have no side effects that would prevent me from performing my job.

First of all, my doctors had advised time and time again that I was not able to do my job and provided the information regarding the effects from these medication. If I would have driven and gotten pulled over on them, I would be in jail right now. They are a controlled substance for a reason yet not to LM. Now I’m waiting to find out what my next step is since they denied my appeal. I haven’t been paid what is owed to me since June 2017 and have been fighting with them this entire time. I keep getting “we never received the information”, and when I speak to my doctor's offices, they have the confirmation information that proves the fax/email went through every time they sent it. If I have to get an attorney for this and add another headache to my life on top of my disability, I will. I don’t think I have another choice.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Have you ever had the feeling someone is smiling while they are talking to you on the phone? That's the way I felt this morning as my case manager was telling me that I would no longer be receiving benefits from them. I knew they were going to try and do this when the case manager called me in December saying that my back problems had gone on long enough. I am still under Dr's care trying to get my back together. They say I have to prove that I can't do my job as a CNA pulling on 300 lbs individuals. I will be appealing.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

If I had a selection of zero stars that would be my choice. In my opinion only my experience has been a total nightmare and I would have never purchased this insurance if I would have known how negatively they would have affected my life! Paid my premiums and had a severe spinal cord injury later and experiencing compounded grief by having to fight with this company for monthly payments which are past due... soon to lose everything with no income! Soon to seek attorney for litigation! Disgusted!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I went from short term disability to LTD, and like so many others, I paid my premiums monthly, via payroll deduction. They needed a "Benefit Award Statement" from Social Security. Fine, we did that, returned it to them in THEIR prepaid envelope, and "they didn't receive it". However, I don't know if the guy at Liberty had an epiphany, or just good old ESP, but he called to tell me that "the first check will be there next week" but the direct deposit that I'm sending you will be effective the next month. Fine, except three weeks later...no check. The other female rep (actual point person) goes on to tell me that I could be subject to 20% withholding if I don't replace the SS award letter that they "lost." I told her that on the benefit portion in question (which is $3000/mo.), her point is moot. This is the supplemental benefit that I pay for, not my employer and is 100% free of tax to me.

These claims guys are the same guys who show up to work on roller skates, sit there and read "The Ladies Home Journal" whilst sipping their "Lipton Iced Tea." I worked next to a claims guy while in graduate school, and he never honored any claim the first time... Or the second... But usually on the third, and then giggle about it. He got "atta boy(s)" from management. The insurance company was also named Liberty but maybe not the same company. Monday, I'm calling the State of Florida Financial Services Division. They are excellent, and "rattle the sword." They get one star because no stars is not a choice.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have CPTSD and an ADA accommodation for my Job. PNC I was out on STD and was injured requiring surgery. To date they have not paid out on my claim. Paperwork for someone who is unable to write or think straight is ridiculous. Why should I need to pay an attorney to make them pay out what my employer and I pay for? I can't write. Live in a situation where I have to beg for daily needs. I'M DISABLED AND LOSING EVERYTHING.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I have cancer and have many Drs appointments with almost daily in most cases. My representative is very rude and make me feel like I am stealing money from her wallet. Now they closed my case. I have had payments held out of my paycheck for 7 years to this company and now that I need it they are sorry. My claim worker has been nothing but rude and hateful. She has a different reason every month why I didn't get paid.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My case manager does not inform me when she needs information from me - she just stops STD payments. When I get in touch with her, that is when I find out she needs more information from me. So when I ask why I was not informed prior to stopping payments, I get the most lame excuses. I am extremely disappointed with Liberty Mutual. I have been paying my deductibles for 5 years and never filed a claim until now and this is the customer service I get? Don't do business with them, go somewhere else where you are treated fair and with respect and dignity.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I am a cancer patient, off work, on long term disability. I hope this is my LAST experience with this company. First they let the claim sit for 3 weeks without any correspondence at all. When I called, I was given incorrect extensions. It took a supervisor to get to the right case manager. She swore she was trying to call me and left messages. She actually had an old number. And still no mailed correspondence. So... the next.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I spend more work correcting their mistakes and negligence than I do working on treatment for my condition. These people are either doing it on purpose or are complete incompetent. Last time they tried to deny my claim my doctor went out of her way to write them a 6 page letter about me and was very upset that they just made stuff up that she never said. After that was finally corrected I was assigned a new case manager and they are at it again. I have to spent countless hours with my doctors working on appeals. This is absolutely ridiculous and this company is terrible.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I don't understand why there are so many complaints here. I became disabled due to medical malpractice and negligence. August 2016, I applied for Short Term Disability and was approved. My diagnosis was not made till November 2016, LM worked with me. LTD was approved end November 2016. It's important to follow the instructions and to talk to your case manager. I was fortunate to get Brandy **, to manage my case. She was professional and supportive. I know there are people out there that take advantage of the system. Until I got my diagnosis, I truly thought I would be able to go back to work. Play by the rules. My life will never be the same again, and if it was not for LTD, with LM, things would be very bad.

I've learned to work on a tight budget, some months my medical expenses are more than my mortgage. But I've got wise to ask for payments plans for medical expenses. There have been times as humbling as it is, that I've called my credit card companies and car loan company and asked if I could miss a payment. If you explain your situation and it's legitimate they will work with you. Even Lois **, in LM finance worked with me. People need to think before they complain and give a company a bad review. For 20 years I've been paying Short Term Disability and LTD, I never thought I would need it. Thank you Liberty Mutual Disability Insurance.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Liberty Mutual, those 2 words bring me lots of anger! I am tired of working with incompetent people!!! Had my thumb operated on last year and had nothing but trouble with them making up their own release dates so they can interrupt your pay!! Now this year same **! Don't even have direct deposit! They tell you it takes 7 to 10 days to mail your check. Yeah if it's coming by horse!!! I'm in the middle of my leave and was just informed I wouldn't get paid this week!!! They don't care they will eat this week but because of their incompetence I won't be!!!

Two years ago I had knee surgery and our company had the Hartford and they were excellent, direct deposited all my checks was always in contact letting me know what was going on. It was a well oiled machine!!! Liberty Mutual is the car on blocks in the backyard! I'm so mad right now, I suppose to healing up, but instead I'm dealing Massive amounts of incompetence with no money to buy groceries!! Hopefully they will go out of business!

Original review: July 15, 2017

What's so sad about this company. They don't ever live up to nothing they say. I had surgery on 6/23/17. I'm expected to be out of work 6 to 8 weeks. Give them everything from doctor and even doctors said they gave them all the paperwork they needed. I was told only gonna get paid for 4weeks. Then they gotta get more paperwork then get first check wasn't right amount and it came late. Called them, said it would be corrected and that my next check would be sent out Tuesday July 11th. Well here it is today the 15th and no check when it only takes 3 days to get to me. I'm so sick of this company. I had bills due today that I can't pay and one getting shut off because I had it extended til today and cannot pay. This company is full of BS.

Original review: July 12, 2017

From the start, when you're out of work due to health, illness, injury or mental illness, Liberty Mutual IS NOT what they claim to be. They will make every aspect of getting your claim approved an absolute nightmare. I swear they hold meetings to advise your case manager to lie and forget your information so they can keep pushing you to the side hoping you'll forget them and get pissed and tired of their ** excuses and demands and walk away. How about 40 pages faxed from my doctor that somehow got lost and then the same 40 pages from myself that then mysteriously got received. Then it's "oh did you see this doctor as well. Ok well we need those documents as well." It's a joke. When you're out and have verifiable proof, come on. This is complete ** now. No money in over a month. Thank god I'm back to work now. Just have to wait for the pay to cycle around. Liberty Mutual is a joke.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have had the bad luck of dealing with these ** for a while now. EVEN after my lawyers sent them paperwork to process my LTD claim they still deny it and keep demanding more data so that they don't have to pay out benefits. I now see why they have such a bad reputation. I would give them negative 5000 stars if it were possible. Hopefully they get sued in a major class action lawsuit for fraud.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I went out with a torn ACL and meniscus in May of 2017. Had my FMLA and STD setup. Was told by LMI that my pay would be 500/week or 60% of my salary. Whichever is greater. My first check was more than 1k because I was paid for when I went out (May 9th). The checks after that was 395, 461, 295. Neither amount to 500, and called, called. Got the same msg as everyone else. Out my office or on the phone with a client. And I did the math and I'm still short 772.00 as to what I would've had if the checks were correct. And the checks be sent out with 3 days, 5 days, and or 2 days. You don't see the rest until the following week and it's short also. Had enough with this bull, and the sad part is the company you work for DONT follow up with the disability insurance company that they set out for the employees.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Working for Magellan for over two yrs. Pay into my std and ltd even paying extra for 20% if something was to happen. Well along with my already genetic diseases, diabetes, hypertension, neuropathy, cholesterol and the list goes on now the nerves in my stomach don't work so now I'm constantly nauseous, vomiting, losing weight rapidly, stomach stay in pain. Well they denied me and said I can work under these conditions and I talk on the phone. I just would like to know how do I sue them.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I have been off work since May 8th from back surgery. I take care of mentally challenged patients. Doctor has put me off with back brace and walked for 6 weeks after surgery, but put me off three weeks before surgery. Applied with HR help at work for my short term disability. Have not received one check. Not one phone call nor letter. Every time I call, it goes to voice mail that is full. HR has done more than her share to help me. So if anyone is going a lawsuit, I'm in. The is Liberty Mutual.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Let's see... Where to begin... Not available or out of the office for weeks at a time (Any of 5 people who could have helped me), NEVER returned my voicemails, RARELY responded to my e-mails even with my attorney cc'd on the e-mails (smh), Always in so called "meetings" like they meet all day when at the office?? And the best one... Denying procedures requested by my neurologist based on the treatment records of a 39 year old female that they admitted to me verbally by saying, "Well that's not supposed to be in there. Would you like a reevaluation, sir?" No **, I want an attorney, I am a 49 year old MALE!!!

Glad the lawsuit is over and I feel more than satisfied with the monies my attorneys were able to get for me to continue my treatment. One should not have to fight for care on a work related injury while employed by a Fortune 500 company, or ANY company. It's just not acceptable, life is too short already without your "so called" help, period. Again, glad to finally be rid of Liberty Mutual. And your commercials are lies in my opinion, the whole "We stand by you" BS. To quote a dear friend, "Ain't scared of y'all **." ~Bernie Mac R.I.P.~

Original review: June 6, 2017

When I signed up at my company for long term disability insurance. And paid the premiums weekly for 12 yrs. Liberty led me to believe that I needed to protect my family and would receive 60% of my pay from long term disability If I was ever injured. What they don't tell you is in order to receive money you first have to apply and receive social security disability because they use that money as an offset. What that means is they include that money and any other money you receive [ie workers comp] in the 60% so Liberty never pays 60% and the name long term only means maximum of two years no matter how disabled you are.

My advice to anyone in the market for long term disability or any other insurance don't use Liberty because you can't leave worry behind and Liberty does not stand with you. As they claim in their ads. In my opinion Liberty is a criminal enterprise and should be prevented from deceiving people out of their hard earned money.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual has been providing a variety of insurance coverages to individuals since 1912. It is currently the third largest property and casualty insurance provider in the United States.

• Offers integrated group plans for employers: Employers can purchase insurance for employees that includes both long-term and short-term options.

• Offers additional tools for employers: Companies can get help with compliance with ADA regulations for employees with disabilities or monitor lost work time and track claims payments using online tools.

• Return To Work Toolkit: The Return to Work Toolkit helps employees get back to work faster after suffering a disabling condition.

• Fully functional online portal: Users can make and track claims online.

• Full support for employees: Users can visit a regional center, make claims online or by telephone, or participate in an employee assistance program to get disability-related problems handled.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky