Liberty Mutual - Disability
1.22/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Liberty Mutual - Disability

Liberty Mutual offers many types of insurance including auto, rental, and home to customers throughout the United States. Liberty Mutual is a verified InsuraMatch partner. Get a quote from Liberty Mutual and other verified companies by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Liberty Mutual - Disability Reviews

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Liberty Mutual had me literally in tears. They will hold on to your money for month's before paying. While they are making a decision on whether or not to pay you you're sick and broke. Once you get assigned to someone to handle your case he/she will make verbal promises go on vacation and you will not get your money until another few weeks or month's. Their emails that you send go into a black hole so they never see them. I had to contact my HR Department to file complaints. Because, I got yelled at and called a liar. My only savior was my doctor demanding that they had better pay me. All I could remember was wanting to die.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I was injured on the job working as an EMT in an emergency department. I ruptured the three lowest discs in my spine and suffered permanent nerve damage. The result of my injury resulted in my left leg being permanently paralyzed. My employer had Liberty Mutual as our long term disability insurer. To add insult to injury I actually paid extra every month to increase the percentage of coverage. After settling on workman’s comp I filed the long term disability claim. It is apparently customary to wait till the workman’s comp claim is settled to file.

I contacted liberty mutual and jumped through all of their hoops to file the claim. This process cost me hundreds of dollars due to fax and delivery fees. In the end what do ya know they deny my claim after months of effort on my part. In the meantime I cannot work due to my disability. Thank goodness for my wife or I would’ve been on the street. I had to hire a law firm to fight these people in order to receive a lame settlement. Apparently the the insurance laws in New Mexico are very much behind the times. It took 3 years to get to this point.

The bottom line is if you want an insurer to stand behind you when you get injured at work look elsewhere. Liberty Mutual will do everything in their power to not help you. If you peruse the online complaints one only needs to guess which states have proper insurance laws. It’s clear this company only does the right thing when they absolutely have to.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

After being told they offer supplemental insurance accidental... Changes happened. My claim was denied after I sent in the required info stating that I don't have ER coverage. SMH. Misleading. It's okay. They got away with 18 dollars but that is it! Don't recommend! 8.49 a month sound good but when they deny your claim it's bad!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I was put out of work by my doctor for about 3 weeks for medical reasons. Liberty Mutual claimed to have never received my paperwork so I sent it again (they only accept via USPS). They then told me to speak with Tammy only. She was the only one that could assist me with my claim. Over about 3 weeks she finally called me back giving me the run around saying they were short staffed. She made me feel Extremely uncomfortable with her judging tone. By her questions she made it sound like I was lying. She asked me details of my condition. When I answered she said (why can’t you work then?). Humiliating and never want to deal with this company again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I went out on FMLA on June 14th, 2019 due to mental health problems. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 with depression. First I filed my claim on the 18th of June and as of Sept. 3rd all I was informed of is that my claim was pending. I returned to work on the 3rd of September and guess what, I finally get told that my claim was denied. WOW who didn't see that coming.

Long story short an RN, who they think knows more than my Psychologist and therapist, denied me. Obviously Mental Health isn't a disability. WELL guess what LIBERTY MUTUAL the American Disability Act does see Mental health, Bipolar included, as a disability. DO YOUR RESEARCH. This company is a joke, Just read ALL the bad reviews. I should known better than to think my case would be approved. Shaking my head in shame that a company thinks so little about their clients. If I die because of the anxiety, stress and depression that you gave me THAT IS ON YOU.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Liberty Mutual?

Original review: June 29, 2019

If I could give negative stars instead of giving a star I would. They are absolutely horrible, they have no problem taking your money. You cannot get any follow up with your claim manager and anytime you speak to anyone else they don't do anything to help. I went round and round with them saying they never received documents my doctor's office would send them right there while I was in the office and they still claimed they didn't receive them. I sent them again and would call back trying to reach my claim manager, not able to. So I would have to speak to another person who doesn't take any responsibility and tells me it will take a couple of days to review the documents.

I have the copies from my doctor's office and it is clearly the same as last visit. There should take them this long to see that there is no changes and my doctor is continuing to keep me out of work. I am going without pay, late on my Bills. They just cause added on stress and are not helpful at all. I would not recommend this company to anyone. Go with Aflac. They are always helpful, great customer service and when you call you get answers and resolutions to your concerns and questions.

Original review: June 7, 2019

You are probably reading all these negative reviews and saying it's no way a company could be that bad; but let me tell you they are. I tweaked my back and don't really know if it happened at work or home. On May 2nd my doctor said that it looks like it was building up over time from working so hard and not taking any down time. Doctor requested I go on light duty for 2 weeks. He lists my restrictions as no lifting over 25lbs, no pushing or pulling or twisting. He also put me down for physical therapy to help alleviate pain instead of taking drugs. My job doesn't accommodate light duty do to liability issues. So I was told by H.R to call Liberty to set up my Short term. I was emailed a doctor release which I immediately took to doctor. My doctor faxed it over the next day. Physical therapy and my doctor are in the same system so my info is shared.

3 days later I get call from Liberty saying they have not received any followup from the faxes they sent my doctor and have received nothing from physical therapy. I called doctor and they resent same info again. I then went to physical therapy to get them to fill out and info. They had already done this as well 2 days ago. 3 or 4 more days go by so I call to check on my case. I was told that there is an 8 day wait period from report date until time of Short term to start. I'm like ok so I should see something soon. I go back to doctor for follow up. Still have plenty of pain so doctor extends it 2 more weeks. Now I am emailed a form to get filled out by doctor. I'll be darned if this for doesn't ask same questions as the other forms did. I call to question this. I'm told its procedure to insure my employer holds my position for me while I am out. I am told, “As soon as we get this we can process your claim.”

2 days later I get a call saying that they can go no further with my claim until my doctor responds to their fax request for my accommodations needed for light duty, so they can see if my job will accommodate. If they don’t hear back within next day they will cancel my claim. I call doctor. They said they sent that info the first time and second time. So they just combined both faxes and sent over. I called my H.R next. They said why are they requesting the same info again. “We don’t do light duty.” My H.R called Liberty to get clarification. They were told that the process is slow because my case was sent to clinicals to be looked over by doctors. Now through this whole process I have received NO income. I pay a $30 copay twice a week to physical therapy.

At this point I'm a little upset. I called Liberty and vented. I was then told that they had great news. I have been approved and she would check back in a week or two. HUH??? So when do I receive funds? Well since you are paid biweekly we just missed your cutoff from your payroll for this pay period; so that will put you at next pay period of JUNE 21st. Say what now?? So I went out May 3rd. YES. So I was told of an 8 day wait period. YES. And now you say I won’t receive anything until the 21st of June. Sorry there is nothing else we can do. Money is tight nowadays. Families are living check to check. How can you expect someone to make it a month and a half with NO income.

My employer switched to Liberty from Prudential this past year. Worst mistake ever. I was out on short term about 6 years ago with swelling in my foot and leg. We were getting paid weekly at that point. Had a 7 day wait period then received 2 checks the following week. Why and how does Liberty still exist. They really hope that you will get frustrated and run out of money and go back to work and not even bother pursuing your short term disability. I wonder how many people have lost homes or their jobs from getting shafted by Liberty.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I've been with my Company for 30 yrs. Paid into Liberty Mutual Long Term Disability for the entire time. After my 4th back surgery I wasn't able to come back to work. At 55 yrs. old I've become disabled. I thought I would be taken care of until I could go through the SSDI process. Liberty Mutual began paying me because they agreed I was disabled, but they continued harassing my Doctors for more and more information until they became tired of it after 4 1/2 months. Due to this and Liberty Mutual continuing to look for loopholes cancelled my claim and quit paying me after 4 1/2 months. They also said that although they agree that I'm disabled and couldn't go back to my job after 4 back surgeries, but I should be able to get a Job on the Global Market! Liberty Mutual or now Lincoln Financial Group has no problem taking your premiums (for 30 yrs.), but has no plan into paying your benefits.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I was put on disability by by doctor and TWO other doctors as well. I was denied short term disability from Liberty Mutual now known as Lincoln Financial Group! Did they have to sell and change their name because of their HORRIBLE reputation. Anyway, the client manager at LFG said that an RN made the determination to deny. So an RN has more experience than all of my doctors!?!? This company needs a class action lawsuit after finding so many reviews about the same denials from everyone else. I've contacted my attorney who has asked to see the policy and going to appeal and possibly file a class action suit! If your company offers this disability insurance, go on your own and get AFLAC and stay away from this service!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Liberty negotiates the bill, so I am never sure what they are paying and what my responsibilities are. The biggest problem is paperwork with the medical field.

Also, our hospital gives you a discount if you pay up front. Again, I am not sure when Liberty negotiates, what my responsibility is. We live in a town where IHC is a monopoly. So often times it is a lot less expensive to travel to another city or state for a better price.

Liberty Mutual expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Liberty Mutual has been providing a variety of insurance coverages to individuals since 1912. It is currently the third largest property and casualty insurance provider in the United States.

• Offers integrated group plans for employers: Employers can purchase insurance for employees that includes both long-term and short-term options.

• Offers additional tools for employers: Companies can get help with compliance with ADA regulations for employees with disabilities or monitor lost work time and track claims payments using online tools.

• Return To Work Toolkit: The Return to Work Toolkit helps employees get back to work faster after suffering a disabling condition.

• Fully functional online portal: Users can make and track claims online.

• Full support for employees: Users can visit a regional center, make claims online or by telephone, or participate in an employee assistance program to get disability-related problems handled.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky