2.40/5

Aflac

Aflac is the leader in voluntary insurance sales at the work site in the United States.*

Short-Term Disability**

Hospital Intensive Care**

Hospital Indemnity***

Dental***

Vision**

**Available as individual product only

***Available in both individual and group products. Benefits of group and individual products may vary.

863 Aflac Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

I had a hernia operation due to a lifting injury at home. I always open a patient portal when I go to a doctor or hospital. I had all the information they asked for and was settled in 24 hours. If I didn't have the portal it would have been a lot more work and time so make sure you open one whenever you're offered it. I was very pleased with them!

Hi Robert,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Thank you so much for sharing your Aflac experience!!!

Original review: April 8, 2019

My husband injured his knee in early Feb. He went to Ortho doctor who sent him to physical therapy. After 6 PT visits the therapist referred him back to Ortho MD who ordered MRI which showed he had two tears to his meniscus and he needed surgery. I filed a accident claim and used the smart claim process and claim was paid in one day as advertised. My husband and I were very happy with the quick payment. I noticed that MRI benefit was not paid and called AFLAC and pointed this out. This claim was then paid within 2 days. He is having surgery tomorrow and will file claim for surgery benefit. AFLAC was great. Quick pay and I was impressed with the professional customer service when I had to call. I have told co-workers and told everyone they needed to get AFLAC.

Hi Anne,

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I became a policyholder with Aflac in 2009 and was a member since 2012 with my employer. The Aflac representative name was 'Micheal'. He was great. He would come to our offices for whatever reason and he'd always drop by every department and ask if there's any questions or concerns. I had my policy for maybe about 1 year when 'Micheal' dropped by and asked me, why haven't I been utilizing my policies? I was stuck. I told him that I have been very busy and the times that I did think about filing claims, I figured it was too late to do so. He is the one who informed me that there wasn't a time limit on claims. He asked me did I have kids? I told him I had 4 and had just found out I was pregnant with my 5th child. He gave me his card and told me "to give him a call asap I can".

Well about 1 week later I did call Micheal and he guided me step by step on each of my policies and what to ask for when I go to the ER, dentist, chiropractor etc. I thought it was gonna be a complicated and difficult process and to my surprise, it wasn't anything like that. Everywhere I went, the second I asked for the particular form, the staff members knew exactly what I was talking about. So here I am with forms with all kinds of medical terminology that I know nothing about for myself and all of my children. From dentist, obgyn, pediatricians, emergency rooms, chiropractors you name it. He also helped me on what Aflac booklets to read so that I'd know what information to include in the cover letter of the fax as well as the actual papers such as my policy#, name, policy info. etc.

Each time I had no issues, I believe one time a claims adjuster (anytime a claim is filed its assigned to an adjuster) I remember reading someone else's review and they stated "that every time they called, they were told they had to speak to a specific person". I don't mean any harm but when it comes to me having to call a company as large as Aflac, I'm ecstatic that I have to talk to the same person when I call concerning a claim. That way you won't have to constantly keep repeating your situation over and over again only to be told different answers by each person u talk to. That would drive me insane.

So every time I called, which by the way was like 3 times, every time I faxed my paperwork I'd call the cr to make sure he/she received it. Then I waited like 24 hrs, because at that time it was a 3 day wait time. Anyways, there's a number I called but I believe I had to wait at least 24 hrs after my claim was submitted, I was asked to follow the prompts, then put in some of my info like birthdate and claim #, and it would tell me right then and there if my claim was approved or denied. Mine thank god, was always approved.

There was only 1 problem I had with Aflac and that was after I had my baby, she had to stay in the hospital for about 28 days and they denied my claim. When they said they covered hospital stay and intensive care. I was suppose to get like$350-$550 per day. I was so emotionally drained from constantly being with my baby, my other kids and trying to survive, I put it on the back burner and never did get around to appealing that decision. I'm gonna call them to see what their procedure is regarding things like appeal etc if there is even such a process they have, just for my information.

Now I don't know all of the other people's facts about their cases and claims, but I do know that when filing the claim it's a good idea to go over your policies, to make sure that all your paperwork is in order, check it to make sure everything Aflac is asking for is included, if you still are a little lost, contact your Aflac representative (because everyone should have one in their area or within their employment) and lastly please make sure that when you send your claim and all paperwork, that it's through an email, or some kind of communication source that will be date and time stamped like fax, scan or email. That way if the day and time has any significance on how, when or how much you will receive, you will have your proof and can always pull it up for verification if you may have to go another route in retrieving your compensation. You know what I mean. Anyways good luck everyone and I wish you all health, happiness, peace and prosperity.

Hi Shawntel,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please contact Aflac's Contact Center at aflacservice@aflac.com for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Shawntel (4668703) February 11, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.
Aflac policyholders should provide their name & AT LEAST 2 of the following: Policy number, Claim number, Claim Check number, Date of Birth, or Name of your employer.

Aflac Phyllis

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My entire family has Aflac's Accident and Hospital policy through our family owned business. My mother had a stint put in and a few months later she was in a car accident. Aflac paid her for both claims. The stint claim did take some time, but I was diligent and kept record of everyone I spoke with at Aflac and her doctor's offices, and she was eventually paid. She was paid quickly (about 5 days via mail) for the car accident. I've put in 3 claims for my children, when they were injured, and was paid for all 3. I have direct deposit and once my claims were approved the payment was deposited in 1 day. In my experience Aflac is great, and as long as you understand your policies and submit your completed claims properly, you'll appreciate having it.

Hi Solaidad,

I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee. I'm so glad to hear that Aflac was able to help. Thank you so much for sharing your family's Aflac experience.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Aflac is a reliable, honest company. My mom had Aflac for over two decades prior to me enrolling through my work 7 years ago. It helped her through some really tough times when we were younger, and has helped me significantly the past few years. They pay claims quickly and effectively communicate about any missing documentation for a claim.

My most recent claim was submitted via the new app for iPhone and was paid in ONE DAY. My Aflac money was deposited before I even got the hospital bill in the mail. It is frustrating to see all the negative reviews on this site. Aflac saved my family from bankruptcy a few years ago and has been a very positive staple to my family financial security.

My only recommendation is that you be an educated consumer, as one always should be. Read and understand your policy before enrolling. Aflac does not hide the waiting periods for pre-existing conditions or any exclusions to a policy. Blindly buying any product or service is most likely always going to end poorly. Make sure you have a good rep- not all reps are the same unfortunately. The 800 number is very helpful. My opinion is the accident and cancer policies are the best value.

Hello Kelly,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.

Thank you so much for sharing your family's Aflac experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I paid for services from June 2018 - May 2019 and never received my critical care policy. I ask the Aflac rep about my policy and he assured me it was taken care of.. Well Aflac was taken care of while charging for a product I never received. I have talked to seven group representatives from Aflac and none of their promises have been kept but they sure did take my money 17 payments.

I kept inquiring about my policies and Aflac made me feel like I didn’t know what I was talking about. I had purchased two products. I purchased accidental / and critical care. I always thought highly of Aflac but they are definitely I guess as long as you pay your policy! They don’t care if you get provided services or not. My money was suppose to be expedited to me and I still have received nothing. Nobody from Aflac has called me to give an update on my overpayment!! I have called everyday since they agreed I was not getting my serviced I paid for. If me or my family member needed critical care supplemental coverage!! Oh well.. not covered! That would not hold up in the courtroom!

Original review: May 17, 2019

So I get this insurance from their reps who apparently lie to get people to buy their coverage stating that all this stuff is covered when it obviously is not. I had an injury a year ago and was treated for it. Signed up for their "coverage" and 2 months later I started having intense pain that radiated and was a lot worse than before. I had another ** shot that did nothing, so my ortho ordered an MRI and EMG and it was determined that I had a whole other issue that had developed after lifting weights that required surgery. It was a whole new diagnosis that was pinching off my ulnar nerve, my hand was going to sleep and I had to have surgery. Because I couldn't pinpoint an exact date of injury as it was a gradual pain that intensified, I am being denied because that state that it was not an accident.

Also with my son, whom his arm was locking and popping at the elbow, found he had floating bone spurs all around it, that had to be taken out or they would shred his tendons. Again it was not considered an accident and was denied, because we couldn't pinpoint an exact date and time of injury as it was a gradual pain that was felt lifting weights. Even though their reps at signups tell you all this good stuff that this and that will be covered, they are lying and Aflac is denying people even though they submit all their paperwork. I am cancelling and will advise to anyone to not sign up for it as it is not worth it. A waste of time.

Original review: May 14, 2019

In November 2018 a salesman came to my EMS job. They were sweet and even keel. The way he sold it to most of us at work was, "Accident Insurance is covered with Aflac. It's to put money in your pocket when other insurance won't. I have a gal I sold insurance to that's on a ski team. All winter long she goes to the chiropractor, she makes $120/day off of the Aflac insurance."

A lot of us signed up for it because of the sales pitch. I'm now pregnant and a lot of issues happen now because of the weight gain, my back happens to have injuries a lot faster. I did buy the hospital indemnity coverage when he said "Do you plan on having another baby within 2 years?" I said yes and to my surprise I find out we're pregnant the week my policy started 12/1/18. (Thank the Lord or I won't be able to collect hospital indemnity) in August, my due date.

On the 8th this month May I went to see a chiropractor, he adjusted me because I was golfing and my swing had me injure my back and shoulder. I have an office note on the doctor's letterhead, they've accepted every other letter prior. But Aflac said, "As previously indicated before, we require physician's notes." So wow! Okay whatever. I'll get that I guess, I present the "chart notes" from my chiropractor and lo and behold today they send a brand new surprise to me, "Please submit a CMF 1500 OR HCFA 1500 for the treatment dates above." They definitely do make you submit so much documentation and I don't know if it's because I file claims due to visiting the chiropractor a lot (because of accident related incidents) or if it's the auditors tired of paying me out when I've submitted notes straight from the chiropractor but it's getting ridiculous now.

I texted the sales rep that I want to cancel now. By the way y'all the accident coverage insurance is only if you have an accident and are seen 3 days within having that accident. Read your policy. Aflac used to pay me out just fine but recently they make it harder and harder by making me go back to the doctor's office to request items I've never heard of till now.

I hope if you're thinking about getting Aflac, please don't. They definitely are picky with auditors! If you give a doctor's note and it doesn't specifically say your injury is related or the cause of your "accident" you WILL NOT get paid out. They're tricky sneaky people! And when you call the call center for an explanation, they can't give you one & just say "no I can't transfer you to a supervisor or the auditor." Haha one girl Tameka was saying she's gonna transfer me to the survey (I was going to fail her score because of how rude she was). She had me on hold the 15-20 minutes.

Read your policies everyone. And if you're thinking about getting Aflac, please DON'T. I got paid out great with dental, I loved it but the accident insurance now just feels like they avoid to pay you. The salesperson told me to utilize Aflac and become an Aflac evangelist. But not the way they come up with all these ridiculous new documents to provide. They truly do make you run around for stuff that my doctor's office is like, "Uh I have other Aflac clients, why are they making you do all of these extra documents?!" I'm not happy and already requested the salesman via text that I'd like to cancel my policies. I'm not happy at all with Aflac and glad to know reading 100+ reviews that I am not alone. If you're looking into Aflac, THINK LONG & HARD. I hope this helps any of you who visit this website.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Just Know that State Farm and Cigna has the same thing Aflac has. Aflac has had my claims since Feb 27th, another since April 2019. We're approaching June and all they keep telling me is they're 'STILL' Reviewing, meanwhile you're unable to speak with the audit team. I suffered a miscarriage in Feb 26, 2019, signed up with Aflac Open Enrollment Nov 2018. Couldn't have known I was pregnant in February until the baby died.

Now, representative is telling me, "We're reviewing your application for 'False information'." HOW? I didn't know I was pregnant.. BUT holding my claim for a month to find a way to cancel my policy.. JUST DO IT ALREADY. I hate AFLAC with a passion. Listen to OTHER STUPID people is the reason I'm back here. Every two weeks payroll deduction.. TRUST ME IT'S NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.. WILL CANCEL THIS YEAR..GEEZ. They only care when the clientele is really LOW. OVER 50 Mill. No concern for the CLIENTS!!!!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I purchased a short term disability insurance policy from Aflac to pay me a certain amount each month while I was out. They paid my benefit the first 3 times. When it went to the fourth they gave me what they wanted. I called and told them I have a set plan to pay me a certain amount. No results. Do not take it. Very unprofessional.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have three policies with AFLAC and have maintained these policies for at least 5 years. Every time I have made a claim it has been a struggle to get paid. I regularly get denied. Have to contact the customer service and complain they reopen the case and I get paid. “Sara” my agent is terrible. I can never get her on the phone, or email. She is of no purpose or help. I recent have major surgery. Off work for 2 months and had to jump through major hoops to complete their paperwork process when I was not capable of getting out of bed. They do not help in any way. If the paperwork is not correct rather than helping you claim correctly you get denied and in order to maximize your benefits you have to do your own research. They will not help you. Don’t waste your money! Save for that rainy day rather than insure it. At $150+ per month a healthy savings account can save you and you don’t have to struggle to get the money you are owed.

Original review: May 13, 2019

My husband was hospitalized through the VA in February. We submitted a claim in April requesting a payout under the hospitalization claim. Aflac keeps refusing to pay out based on the VA not providing a print out of room and board charges. I have spoken with the VA on numerous occasions and been told that this information will not be provided to anyone outside of our medical insurance. They told me AFLAC is aware of this and yet AFLAC continues to refuse to pay out. What a thanks to veterans, refusing to pay them their rightful benefits based on a policy outside of the veteran's control.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I had a procedure and stayed in the hospital over night. I was advised prior to the surgery that I would be paid and what the pay out would be. I have officially been denied and their excuse was that I was not admitted to the hospital - I was admitted for the procedure and stayed over night for observation. The standard observation stay is 2-3 days. This is the 2nd denial since I have been signed up with Aflac. Seems extremely disappointing, Shame on Aflac for advertising such wonderful service and being a complete disappointment.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have submitted a second claim to this company. They told me that I will get a direct deposit by April 9, 2019. Ok I waited. No deposit so I call back two days later and they told me that my bank routing number had a missing number. At the end she told she will go ahead and manually put the number in. I said ok. It take three business day. I said, "Ok no problem." I waited again no deposit. I call back then they told me since we didn’t get to do the direct deposit they sent out a paper check. Ok wow. So my claim was submitted on April 2, 2019. One month later no check no direct deposit even after I fill out a new direct deposit no money. I beg and beg them. It’s 372.00 which was was going to help me pay towards my rent. Never got it. I will speak to my Human Resources lady to see how to cancel my service. I thought this company was great but after my second experience I’m so disappointed.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Decided to get two policies with Aflac over a year ago and finally needed to put them to use after giving birth. Filing the hospital coverage claims were a breeze and was worth the money. However, the short term disability coverage is complete trash and a waste of money. I’ve been out of work since February due to injury that occurred during my pregnancy. Filed an initial disability claim and was denied because the injury did not lead to hospitalization, which is what was said when I asked why it was denied. However, one representative stated that it was denied since Aflac doesn’t cover work injuries.

I was told I needed to file another claim once my child was born. Faxed in all necessary documents and had to call to get additional information on the claim a week after the documents were sent. After waiting an hour in total on hold, I was told that the fax was blank and that I needed to re-fax documents or complete a one-day pay claim.

Long story short there is no one day pay for short term term disability. Just found out after getting hung up on after a 21 minute hold as soon as the representative answered they hung up and sent me to a survey. Called back and waited an additional 15 minutes just to hear that a representative told me wrong. Not worth the money or hassle.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I was hospitalized due to prostate last year. They keep wanting more items I’ve done and sent all requested paperwork. They keep sending me the same letter over and over and over again. They say they need a form from doctors which doctor says they haven’t requested from them. I've been paying this company 100.00 a week for 4 years and I feel it’s a waste of money. When it comes time to pay you they act like it’s out of their pocket!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have short term disability policy and submitted all forms requested before just to make sure nothing would be on hold. Was told that they only pay on the 8th day. Ok so big deal, after I had surgery and tried to use my policy and make sure they paid before paying bills I learned that they only paid me $36 a day when I clearly make more than that. I was livid. Called the headquarters to ask why? They kept repeated that’s what they pay. I told the lady how someone who makes more than $36 a day and when I called to verify they would pay they never said anything about $36 a day. Had I known that I would have never had surgery. Definitely not worth paying them to screw you over and withhold information just to get you to sign with them.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Pregnancy/Delivery, Claim UB04 and Operative report provided and yet they found a way to string me along resulting in none payment for my child hospital stay. Contacted Aflac months prior to delivery as well as numerous times after to verify my coverage, understand the wording listed on my certificates and to have a thorough understanding of the claims process.

Was advised several times of the documents needed once I delivered and the time in which it takes to process a claim. Reviewed my certificates multiple times with different agents just to ensure that what I was being told was accurate. Each time was pretty much told the same thing so I was encouraged to believe that everything would proceed accordingly. I delivered via C-section in March and provided the required documents by fax. Claim paid out but saw that it was short. I contacted Aflac countless times and was told they would escalate and to wait. Called to follow up at least 4 more times and was told it wasn't touched and had to be escalated again to an adjuster.

Finally spoke to an agent on 4/29/19 who said the escalated claim was still untouched and after she reviewed she had to reach out to someone else because it was assumed they didn't have the UB04 which they did. She said it didn't pay because I had to manually add my child through my employer for hospital coverage once I delivered. I informed the agent that not once in the 5 months I've been in contact with Aflac about coverage and the claims process was I advised of this prior to today. All of those calls and no one ever advised me of this.

I had been advised by multiple agents that once I delivered my child coverage would automatically become active. So after months of calling and my concerns being escalated multiple times this is what the come back with. My state would require me to enroll my kid in Aflac hospital policy for them to pay the claim. Well like most employers you have 30 days to make changes when there's a life event.

Needless to say 30 days had been passed and after all the calls I made before and after delivery Aflac decided to tell me now my kid would need to be enrolled with my job. How incompetent or how slick are they to do this. This has caused such a hardship and people don't care to do their due diligence unless it effects them directly. This was a huge cluster of incompetence. Requested to speak to a manager wasn't interested in talking to a lead and was told a lead would call in 24 hrs.

Aflac is a huge let down. I am extremely upset by their lack of initiative. So no one knew my child had to be added until it was time for them to pay my claim. Then I was only told way after the 30 days had passed. This seems so crooked. Now I'm told that I can write a letter to try and appeal. Hoop after hoop they have me jumping through. Would have taken all of 2 minutes to add my kid to my Aflac after delivery but they said coverage was automatic. So disgraceful.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I get Aflac through work but, the last time the Aflac agent came about to the office he brought with him the cancer policy. I signed up for this for myself and my husband because cancer runs through our families. I signed up for the cancer policy, the Aflac agency stated it would be active in one month after 30 days, that was signed in June 12th. On July 17th, I was diagnosed with colon cancer, I spent a couple of weeks in the hospital, had surgery for re-sectioning. When discharged I met with the oncologist and started Chemo for 8 months.

My claim was denied. Aflac gave the reason of the policy did not start until the first of July. Which is not what I was told nor did any of the paperwork say that anywhere. So much for the customer is always right. I consulted a lawyer and they denied their letter also. I am not saying it was a huge amount of money but, being as I was in the hospital with the colon cancer diagnosis after my 30 day waiting period was over out of work for over 6 weeks I am still behind on the bills, so I was counting on the money from Aflac, because under the cancer policy there is an amount for the initial diagnosis then for the chemo and doctors visits. This is very discouraging.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I suffered from a Pulmonary Embolism on 12/20/18. I was taken to the ER via ambulance and subsequently hospitalized for 4 days for treatment. I was readmitted 48 hrs after I was released, due to Pneumonia as a complication from the Pulmonary Embolism. AFLAC paid me out on my Supplemental Insurance right away. But when it came time for them to review my short term disability claim to cover the time I was out of work - they continuously deny it and state that it’s due to a pre-existing condition. I have escalated this FIVE times, and every time time the decision is upheld but no information is provided to me.

I never received a denial letter. My claim never showed up in my AFLAC app. It’s just sketchy all around. Not to mention I have never in my life had a blood clot, and I’ve never been treated or have seen a doctor for anything relating to blood clots. The worst part was 2 days ago I called to check on the status of the escalation and the rep told me it was pending approval and I should get my direct deposit in 2 days. I called today and was advised it was denied. They even mentioned that I should file an appeal. Ok, if I were to humor AFLAC and give them an appeal, they have provided me with zero information that supports their decision for me to appeal!

As soon as they get their affairs in order and pay me as I am rightfully owed under my policy, I’m going to cancel and run as far away from this place as possible. They are incompetent and flippant. I truly believe this claim has been mishandled from the beginning but they keep stringing me along no matter how many times I request for someone to prove this was pre-existing. How they are able to get away with this is beyond me. I would love to sue them and will start calling lawyers this weekend so I can have someone represent me and stand up for me since this company is purposefully wasting my time and not actually reviewing anything.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have been with Aflac since 2002 in which I don't think that makes any difference. I am quite disappointed with this company. Recently I inquire about reinstatement of my policy. I had spoke to several customer service reps at that time gave me wrong information. I faxed a request for reinstatement and it was approve but the problem was they gave me only 3 days to get all back pay due plus the documentation that was needed. I tried to make the payment with Aflac by phone but I was told I had to mail the check and document to Aflac.

I stress concern that it may not make it on time by the due date. The representative told me as long as it is post dated before the 3rd of April that it would be ok, that was a bunch of lies. I did just that and they denied my reinstatement. Aflac your company is full of incompetent people that give wrong information because they don't know. I was told to fax it and fill out a payment draft. I found out today that Aflac don't care about their clients and they love giving people the runaround. You suck Aflac. I will never recommend your company to anyone.

Original review: April 24, 2019

On 2/20/19 I fell on ice and injured my R knee. I tore my meniscus and underwent surgery on 4/1/19. My policy pays out two separate amounts for a plain old arthroscopy ($300) vs a meniscus repair ($625). I submitted my claim with surgical photos with descriptions from the surgeon. Lo and behold I receive the claim on 4/9/19 and was only paid the $300. I called customer service and was told that they would need the operative report. Okay. I'm non weight bearing. I'm on crutches. I drag my butt to the hospital to get the report. I submit it on 4/10/19. They deny it and tell me it was already paid. Now I am annoyed. I call customer service every day who assures me it is being worked on.

I call **. On 4/22/19 I finally get someone on the phone who listens. She says she will add internal notes (don't they do this every time I call?) and get it to an auditor. I call on 4/24/19 and they at first tell me they cannot talk to me because the policy is in my husband's name. Whatever? I tell them the claim is for me and they put me on hold then say I gave the wrong claim number. Okay. Grrr.... No I didn't. I ask for a status update. She then tells me it will take the full 4 business days for them to address. WTF? This delay was YOUR ERROR!!! Gimmee my money! So here I sit. Pissed off. No money. I am hurt and this is why we pay for this insurance. Switching to VOYA. At least they admit it takes them 10 days. And they pay better!!!

Original review: April 23, 2019

These people do not know how to keep their word and assist! I obtained a Critical Care Policy and Accidental because I was told those were the only policies I could obtain outside of an employer. So the Accidental got taken out of my bank account right away but the Critical Care policy had to go to underwriting which no one had disclosed this to me. I was told that there was no waiting period for this either.

So my medical was cleared after 10 days but they still didn't take the money out of my account they were waiting and then was told I still needed to have my medical cleared but was already done! Then I asked them if I could do a claim because I had to go through surgery. They told me the accidental wouldn't cover it and I said, "Well the critical was supposed to be in place already" then they told me that it was a 30 day waiting period for the Critical Care policy! I said, "No there is not." I spoke with the Representative Ebony ** & that was never disclosed because I asked. She said only the Cancer policy has a 30 day waiting period! They told me my claim would be denied! and no one since has assisted me with it! What a JOKE!!! DON'T BUY AFLAC!

Original review: April 23, 2019

After being a loyal Aflac customer with three separate policies since 2007, I am totally disappointed with them. After having surgery to repair a torn meniscus, my claim was denied. No, I do not know how or when my meniscus was torn, but it did happen. It was certainly not something done on purpose or "intentionally," so it was an ACCIDENT. I could have saved the money paid to them over the past 12 years, earned at least some interest, and really had the financial support I needed due to this surgery and subsequent time off from work.

Hi Frances,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please email Aflac's Contact Center for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Frances April 23, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Aflac Phyllis

Original review: April 20, 2019

My family and I have had Aflac for many years, but we’ve noticed it going downhill for a long time. I resent my paperwork as my agent recommended with the right info to renew my policies last fall and they said they never received. So, I filled out new ones with a detailed cover letter. In the letter, I explained it was the second attempt and marked which policies I want. Days and weeks went by. Nothing was deducted from my account. During this time, I called a few times. Each person told me my information would clear and it never did. Each person was nice and patient, but never received proof of anything going through.

I asked at least one person to send me email proof of the renewal and the changes I made. No email was sent. Now in April, I still have no idea what happened. They are now really disorganized. I don’t want to say there’s some dishonest employees, but after my experience and seeing the other negative reviews, I have to wonder. I don’t want to give up on Aflac, but I’m really disappointed to say the least.

Hi E.L.,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please email Aflac's Contact Center for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: E.L. April 19, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My husband has stage IV metastatic cancer. For the last three years he has been on two oral chemotherapies. For three years numerous auditors have only paid for one of his chemotherapy drugs, even though they were suppose to pay for two. We spent the last month getting it sorted out, only to have them once again only pay for one prescription this month. We have been on the phone with them three times already this week. It is apparent that Aflac does not have proper training for these auditors and depending on who reviews your claim is what you will get paid. If you resubmit something they ignore it half the time and we have had to get a supervisor more than once due to this. Having cancer is stressful enough without putting up with incompetence and people not doing their jobs.

Hi Christopher,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please email Aflac's Contact Center for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Christopher April 18, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Had accident policy. Submitted claim for accident and Aflac Paid. Then had ongoing treatments for same accident. As per my contract with Aflac my policy, ongoing treatment is also supposed to be paid. However, all of a sudden new docs needed, sent documents numerous times, called customer service claim dept, said needed more docs to prove claim, I asked for manager, they said no manager, they put me on hold for a very long time, then hung up on me. So I resubmitted more docs, with clearer views for them as they said they couldn’t read the 50 docs I had to resend them 50 times, so now I wait again. All for 160.00. I’ve never been so shocked at this behavior from Aflac.

Hi Karen,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please email Aflac's Contact Center for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Karen April 18, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Aflac Phyllis

Original review: April 16, 2019

I no longer wanted to use AFLAC services so I sent an email to cancel. I got a letter of cancellation. After that they continued to debit my account for one month. I called to check on it and was told that I had to send a fax to get a refund. I was also assured that the debit to my account had been stopped. Two weeks later my account was debited again for AFLAC services even though I received a second letter of cancellation. I called a second time and was told that I have to call the third party payment administrator to get the debit stopped. I was also told that I had to ask the administrator to send over a request for refund. I have just called that administrator and had to leave a message. I am very upset at the complete lack of customer service. I should not have to tell them twice to stop debiting my account. I also should not have to send a fax to get a refund, as it is not my mistake but theirs.

Hi Valerie,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please email Aflac's Contact Center for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Valerie April 19, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Aflac Phyllis

Original review: April 14, 2019

I have been an insured for over fifteen years. Over the years the customer service has become obsolete. I was injured in 2015. My policy covers both on and off the job injuries. AS a result of the injury, I have required several surgeries on several different body parts. After a shoulder surgery that was covered and paid by AFLAC, it was discovered I also had severe Carpal Tunnel. I had the surgery and I submitted the forms along with the required PT forms. AFLAC denied the claim. They were unable tell me why, but the representative advised me to file a new claim. I filed a new claim and it too was denied.

Since my policy rider covers surgeries and rehabilitation, I filed a grievance. I called my representative, but they too have outsourced and told me to call AFLAC. Why have insurance if the company is not going to honor its policy contract. Customer service (when you can told with them) seems to speak in circles from a company script. The representative was not able to provide an answer why the claim was denied and agreed I had filed the correct paperwork each time. What happened to the days where the policy agent helped the insured and the company fulfilled its contract obligations?

Hi Christopher,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please email Aflac's Contact Center for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Christopher, April 14, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Aflac Phyllis

Original review: April 13, 2019

What happened to the 4 day response to a claimant's accidental claim? Now it takes 2 weeks to even get an answer. Hmmm, something isn't quite right here. The review department isn't concerned about the people who are paying their paychecks through our premiums every month. Ha, I called yesterday and spoke with some call rep, and they said the claim wouldn't be reviewed until the 15th. I sent the claim in on the 8th which was Monday. That would be a whole week. And, then they still might not accept all my reports. Crummy Company, Just Lousy, Lousy!

Hi Jeffery,
I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please email Aflac's Contact Center for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Jeffery, April 13, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Aflac expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.

• Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.

• Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.

• Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.

• Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky