3.51/5
Based on 1,486 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Aflac

Aflac is the leader in voluntary insurance sales at the work site in the United States.*

Short-Term Disability**

Hospital Intensive Care**

Hospital Indemnity***

Dental***

Vision**

**Available as individual product only

***Available in both individual and group products. Benefits of group and individual products may vary.

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Aflac Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

I had a hernia operation due to a lifting injury at home. I always open a patient portal when I go to a doctor or hospital. I had all the information they asked for and was settled in 24 hours. If I didn't have the portal it would have been a lot more work and time so make sure you open one whenever you're offered it. I was very pleased with them!

Hi Robert,
      I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Thank you so much for sharing your Aflac experience!!!

Original review: April 8, 2019

My husband injured his knee in early Feb. He went to Ortho doctor who sent him to physical therapy. After 6 PT visits the therapist referred him back to Ortho MD who ordered MRI which showed he had two tears to his meniscus and he needed surgery. I filed a accident claim and used the smart claim process and claim was paid in one day as advertised. My husband and I were very happy with the quick payment. I noticed that MRI benefit was not paid and called AFLAC and pointed this out. This claim was then paid within 2 days. He is having surgery tomorrow and will file claim for surgery benefit. AFLAC was great. Quick pay and I was impressed with the professional customer service when I had to call. I have told co-workers and told everyone they needed to get AFLAC.

Hi Anne,

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I became a policyholder with Aflac in 2009 and was a member since 2012 with my employer. The Aflac representative name was 'Micheal'. He was great. He would come to our offices for whatever reason and he'd always drop by every department and ask if there's any questions or concerns. I had my policy for maybe about 1 year when 'Micheal' dropped by and asked me, why haven't I been utilizing my policies? I was stuck. I told him that I have been very busy and the times that I did think about filing claims, I figured it was too late to do so. He is the one who informed me that there wasn't a time limit on claims. He asked me did I have kids? I told him I had 4 and had just found out I was pregnant with my 5th child. He gave me his card and told me "to give him a call asap I can".

Well about 1 week later I did call Micheal and he guided me step by step on each of my policies and what to ask for when I go to the ER, dentist, chiropractor etc. I thought it was gonna be a complicated and difficult process and to my surprise, it wasn't anything like that. Everywhere I went, the second I asked for the particular form, the staff members knew exactly what I was talking about. So here I am with forms with all kinds of medical terminology that I know nothing about for myself and all of my children. From dentist, obgyn, pediatricians, emergency rooms, chiropractors you name it. He also helped me on what Aflac booklets to read so that I'd know what information to include in the cover letter of the fax as well as the actual papers such as my policy#, name, policy info. etc.

Each time I had no issues, I believe one time a claims adjuster (anytime a claim is filed its assigned to an adjuster) I remember reading someone else's review and they stated "that every time they called, they were told they had to speak to a specific person". I don't mean any harm but when it comes to me having to call a company as large as Aflac, I'm ecstatic that I have to talk to the same person when I call concerning a claim. That way you won't have to constantly keep repeating your situation over and over again only to be told different answers by each person u talk to. That would drive me insane.

So every time I called, which by the way was like 3 times, every time I faxed my paperwork I'd call the cr to make sure he/she received it. Then I waited like 24 hrs, because at that time it was a 3 day wait time. Anyways, there's a number I called but I believe I had to wait at least 24 hrs after my claim was submitted, I was asked to follow the prompts, then put in some of my info like birthdate and claim #, and it would tell me right then and there if my claim was approved or denied. Mine thank god, was always approved.

There was only 1 problem I had with Aflac and that was after I had my baby, she had to stay in the hospital for about 28 days and they denied my claim. When they said they covered hospital stay and intensive care. I was suppose to get like$350-$550 per day. I was so emotionally drained from constantly being with my baby, my other kids and trying to survive, I put it on the back burner and never did get around to appealing that decision. I'm gonna call them to see what their procedure is regarding things like appeal etc if there is even such a process they have, just for my information.

Now I don't know all of the other people's facts about their cases and claims, but I do know that when filing the claim it's a good idea to go over your policies, to make sure that all your paperwork is in order, check it to make sure everything Aflac is asking for is included, if you still are a little lost, contact your Aflac representative (because everyone should have one in their area or within their employment) and lastly please make sure that when you send your claim and all paperwork, that it's through an email, or some kind of communication source that will be date and time stamped like fax, scan or email. That way if the day and time has any significance on how, when or how much you will receive, you will have your proof and can always pull it up for verification if you may have to go another route in retrieving your compensation. You know what I mean. Anyways good luck everyone and I wish you all health, happiness, peace and prosperity.

Hi Shawntel,
      I'm Aflac Phyllis here to help. Please contact Aflac's Contact Center at aflacservice@aflac.com for assistance with your concerns. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Shawntel (4668703) February 11, 2019, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.
      Aflac policyholders should provide their name & AT LEAST 2 of the following: Policy number, Claim number, Claim Check number, Date of Birth, or Name of your employer.

Aflac Phyllis

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Aflac itself has unique insurance products. They pay cash to policyholders when you get sick or hurt. It helped me a lot with unexpected out of pocket medical bills. Each plan covers different things. Cancer plans cover cancer, accident plans cover accidents, etc. Aflac pays me quickly for claims, which I really appreciate that they are not like most insurance companies that take forever to process claims. BUT, you really want to make sure you deal with an agent who has been with Aflac for a while. Someone you know who is going to be there when you need help with a claim. Someone who knows their products inside and out. This makes ALL difference when it comes to your Aflac experience. There are thousands of Aflac reps, find a good one! My rep is Becky **. She rocks and you can google her.

Hello Tammi,

I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac Worldwide Headquarters employee to help. Thank you so much for sharing your Aflac experience!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I’ve had Aflac’s products well over 10 years beginning with the accident and cancer plan and now expanding my ‘portfolio’ to include life, critical illness and vision. I recently stepped out of my car and my knee started hurting. The next day it was worse so I called my chiropractor and went in. He was able to adjust it and I picked up the notes as I walked out. I went home and got on my portal, filled out the online claim and scanned and uploaded the notes. The very next morning I had $120 in my account! I’ve had this sort of thing happen many times over the years. I love my Aflac!!

Hello Cindy,

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

In 2017 representatives from this company came to our place a business which is a self employed salon in the city of Orange. We were told that we could get different policies and if we left our place of self employment we could take those with us I signed up for 4 policies, and one of them being disability. I fell and injured by name at my place of self employment later on that year, I went to urgent care, they sent me to physical therapy, I ended up having to go to orthopedic surgeon which I did have to have knee surgery done which was July of 2019.

I filed for the disability on my policy and have been rejected and have it gone on and on and on in a spiel back-and-forth with them regarding this claim because they see it as being an on the job injury of workman's comp and yet I am self employed. I do not receive any type of AW to or A1099. Because of the statement of the doctor they're refusing to pay for my disability and yet I'm still paying into this policy. I think this is the biggest crime to customers that they can do. All because of the wording that it fell on the job and yet it is my place of employment and yet I am self employed they will not pay me out.

I will never ever use this company again! I been dealing with them since July of 2019 and it is now the middle part of October and still have not gotten anywhere. My representative feels that I should go ahead and sign another authorization form so that she can go ahead and see if the doctor will re word deed disability claim and try to file a new claim to see if I can get what's due right to me. What's your take on this? Also my accident and hospital pay outs took over 30 days from the date I filed so this thought that they go ahead and give you something within 24 hours to reimburse you is not true, maybe with the huge company but not if you're single employed person like me. Don't trust the duck!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I was admitted in the hospital for a stroke. Spent several days in the hospital. Long story short I've given up hope of getting paid for my critical illness. They paid me 3 days but giving me the runaround for 1000 for being admitted..

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

On 7/9/2019, Aflac insurance, along with their representatives including but not limited to ** District Sales Coordinator, An Authorized Representative of Everwell Aflac Los Angeles - North, WellWorks Employee Benefits, 4500 Park Granada Blvd. #202, Calabasas, CA 91302, CA License #**, **, along with their associates attended the company I work for offering benefits. In particular they were offering their maternal packages, and used manipulative and fraudulent sales tactics in order to influence me to sign up with their program. The party informed me that when I have a baby, that Aflac would cover my pay for maternity leave, along with coverage of my hospital stay.

The party informed me verbally, that there were no "loop hole" or "hidden requirements" and that the coverage would take place limitedly when we were to sign up with the program. They provided us with the form that I will attach, and nowhere in the form does it state and requirements or standards to follow. The party verbally promised us that this is the best plan for someone trying to begin a family, and that this is the coverage we would need. I had asked to see the fine print before I signed to which the party stated that there is no fine print and we will receive a full package after we signed up. This statement was completely fraudulent, misleading, inaccurate, and predatory, because on 8/13/19 I discovered that I was pregnant with my first child, and informed Aflac that I was and would be needing to take my maternity leave in April when my baby was due.

On 3/1/19, my doctor placed me on disability due to severe back pain, pregnancy arthritis, insomnia, and severe sciatica. On 4/15/19 I gave birth to my son via C-section, and stayed at the hospital for 5 days due to having the surgery. Afterwords, I had submitted the $5,000 hospital bill, which Aflac had stated that they will cover, to Aflac, only to be denied stating, that "I became pregnant too soon". I have contacted the Aflac representatives informing them of the deceive, in which they stated that there was nothing that they could do, and to appeal the claim. I had filed an appeal, one month postpartum with a newborn in my hand, and stuck with a 5,000$ hospital bill, to which Aflac denied my appeal.

Not at anytime did any representative state that I had to become pregnant at a specific time, even with the information that I had provided them regarding my pregnancy. They provided me with paying me a partial of my salary for maternity leave, yet refused to pay the 5,000$ hospital bill, that they stated they would cover. This is completely disgraceful, deceiving, fraudulent, and manipulative. I feel extremely taken advantage of, specially since this is my first child begin born. The Aflac representatives saw the opportunity to sell a fraudulent package, and took advantage of my excitement to start a family.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Your IVR will not except my SSN number, and just keeps repeating itself. Hold times are excessive 50 minute wait times but if you want to buy insurance they answer right away. This is my first experience trying to use the website or call in after purchasing 4 policies. I didn't even want to give it 1 star.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I put in a claim back in APRIL 2019. It’s October. I have yet to have my claim settled. The ONLY excuse that I keep getting is that the hospital have not sent over my medical records! What do I pay AFLAC for if I have to do all the footwork? I am so frustrated that I cancelled my previous insurance to get AFLAC! I have had a representative contact me and still no help! He DOES NOT contact me unless I reach out FIRST! And STILL NO RESOLVE! I’m am beyond frustrated! Just like they took their money out of my account when my bill was due PUT MONEY IN my account when it’s time to pay for my claim!

Aflac expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.

• Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.

• Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.

• Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.

• Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky