3.8/5 (1310 ratings)

About Aflac

Aflac Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

I have had my policy with Aflac for just over a year. My wife and I obtained coverage since we own a small business together and if either of us are injured it is a big deal. My wife tore her ACL this year, requiring surgery, and after filing her claim they offered her just $80. They provided no explanation of what was covered or why, or what was missing. After spending 9 hours on the phone with them and with doctors and sending numerous documents to aflac, they paid $900. Again, no explanation of benefits. On the Aflac website a torn ACL with surgery is listed as an example, with stated coverage of $2,400. Company is impossible to work with - they don't say what they are covering, why or why not, and that leaves us confused - and canceling this worthless policy.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I started a claim on February 4, 2021 for my wife who was hospitalized because she needed an emergency surgery to put a pacemaker into her. Ever since the initial claim I have been getting nothing but the runaround from this company. The first time I called to check on the status, they claimed that the UB04 form was too light. I then darken it and resubmitted the UB04 form, when they then said that they couldn’t see how long she was in the hospital, what type of room she was in, and they needed an itemized bill.

I submitted the itemized bill and the very next time they claim my wife needed to sign a consent form. We submitted the consent form and then when I called back, they said that it did not have her last name or the policy number. I submitted these forms under my online username and password which has both of my policies numbers that I have with them. So, I emailed directly to a “**,” who confirmed to me over the phone that she received the consent form and will give it to the reviewers on the March 16, 2021. The very next day I get a notification saying that the claim was not approve because they did not receive the sign consent form.

So now I filed another claim for my wife pacemaker on March 22, 2021 and uploaded the Sign consent form with my wife's full name, policy number, and date of birth with the claim. My wife called on March 24, 2021 and they told her they were waiting on a UB04 form from the hospital, at which time my wife told the representative that we already sent it. Then the representative response was that we should not have sent the UB04 form, even though that’s what we were told to send on other claims that we have filed with Aflac through the years, and they approved them. I called the exact same day to see what their excuse would this time be and was told they have until to March 30, 2021 to review it. I inquire and but the next day payment and was told they no longer provide that service.

March 31, 2021 at 1609, I called to check on the status of the claim and was told they have a long wait time and was given an option of someone calling me back. I received that called back April 3, 2021 at 1315 I received a call back from a Jacqueline #** which now tell me that they are waiting on a consent form again and waiting on my wife’s consent form, itemized billed, and UB04 form all items that I sent to them on the claim I submitted on March 22, 2021. I keep get the runaround and always a different answer. Aflac does not want honor what we sign up for all while charging my credit for the service that they are not providing. I’m not allowed to talk directly to the adjuster and can get any real answer for the representative we called.

My wife was hospitalized due to COVID. After going through that trauma, I submitted a claim with Aflac and every time I have called them, they give excuses of they need more paperwork. The person who’s reviewing the claim you can never talk to. If the claim is small, they have no problem paying but when it’s going to be a big claim, they make you jump through obstacles. Their advertisements is not the same as the actual claim. They also have no problems with taking your payments out monthly but give you an extremely hard time paying off on claims. Buyer beware.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Cancer policy bought several years ago as payroll deduction through employer. Recent company change requires transfer to direct pay. Simple enough, right?? Not any more!!! I've spent hours trying to reset online login password, get customer service on the phone and get action via emails to corporate office. Today's 800 Customer Services has "4 HOUR call waiting". Even after contacting the sales rep and sending an email to the Corp office, no resolution. Now shopping for new policy with a different company!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I had joined Aflac through my job. As I a member I was supposed to get paid if i was taken by to hospital by Ambulance, if I was admitted into the hospital for a period of time. Everything that this crooked insurance said that needed to be done for them to pay out was done. They still refused to payout. The sales agent said they were having issues with their computer system which they said delayed my enrollment even they had signed documents of the actual date of enrollment. I felt this company is a fraud and stole my money since they said they had issues signing me up but not taking my payments.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I have 2 policies with Aflac through my Job. They show up present themselves to our Company and we bite. I get accidentally injured at home. File a claim and turn in any possible paperwork I need for them to accept my claims. They continue to reject my claims and refuse to pay out. But are quick to take out those $20 a week from my paycheck. I literally feel scammed and robbed. I will never recommend them to ANYONE! Worst experience ever. They are not worth mental and financial stress.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I have been trying to change the direct deposit account for my mother's benefit payments for her long term care policy for three months. I have tried to contact Aflac in all ways possible and they refuse to make the change, since they say I should have access on their website. Which I do not, and have sent them screen shots to prove that they do not have the feature they all have referred me to. They will not even allow my Aflac agent or claims representative help me make this change. One interesting note is changing my mother's SS direct deposit to her new bank took minutes. Aflac is worse than the Federal Government for service.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

The adjuster was more interested in meeting the 30 day deadline as opposed to understanding the claim and need to speak with the treaters rather than relying on forms that needed to be filled out by the physician. I was out on a stress related claim and wound up more stressful with having to explain and follow up myself with the doctors. In the end, I was advised that I was denied pay while out for 6 weeks but FMLA protected. Why—-because I was able to do math and comprehension problems. They failed to review insomnia, inability to focus/concentrate, headaches and everything else during COVID new way of working that was affecting my health! Terrible experience.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Aflac is the disability insurance thru my employer. I recently had lots of illnesses after Covid shots. My main treating physician has provided certifications and notes to support my short-term disability, However... (1) Aflac Delay Tactic - Aflac kept delaying my case; No return calls from case manager or no reply to my emails sometimes for several days, until I called again and again. After weeks went by without letting me know what the status is and what they need, they just denied my case.

(2) Aflac Downplay My Illnesses - They ignore my main treating physician’s diagnoses and assessments. We submitted ER and MRI tests showing my illnesses, They ignore those too. (3) Aflac No Spelled Out Criteria - When I ask what criteria they use and what specific data they need they don’t tell me. This is an unethical insurance company!!! I’m trying to take care of my illnesses and trying to get better, but their immoral tactics are making my conditions worse and taking away my valuable time trying to get better!!!

Original review: July 19, 2021

Veteran here, had PTSD related mental break in April. Submitted VA Doctor's information who sent over list of meds and reason for meds with period of time. Aflac says not enough and want to see notes from therapy meetings to determine if I meet their standards of “?” because they won’t tell me what they are looking for. Very HIPPA sketchy.

Original review: July 16, 2021

For many years I had the full medical/injury claim with this company. I had an injury and filed a claim. Suffice to say they used every excuse they could come up not to pay anything. Of course I cancelled my policy after this but all the years I paid for what? They say a lot but beware you might not get anything and they will get everything! This is a great scam that they use to get your hard earned money!

Aflac author review by Matthew Brodsky

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.

• Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.

• Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.

• Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.

• Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor