Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.86/5

Aflac Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I had Aflac for two years. I had a surgery and I am off for three months. Aflac has not paid me anything. They keep denying my claims. I have sent over document. They asked for legit documents from me my employer and doctor. Still they will not pay me. I’m also not able to contact my agent. He never answers his phone. I leave messages. No call back. I text him. No response. I’ve recently filed a fraud claim against them through Federal Trade Commission and am going to email the attorney governor for Texas and Ohio. I do believe that's the state it’s based out off. Do not let these people fool you put of your money with that stupid Aflac duck.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Aflac is worse than State Disability when it comes to paying out claims. I submitted my claim back in December because I was in the hospital in November for Covid and I only receive $406. They pay $20 a day. My doctor said I was not able to return to work as yet, All the information was stated on the claim form I had to call them back in January 2021 to see why I did not receive another payment. They told me that I need to fill out another claim paperwork, filled out the paperwork send it to them on January 12, they sent me back stating that they need a copy of my Social Security card, sent them the information and still have not received a payment yet. As of January 30, 2021 still no payment, you call customer service, they put you on hold for 2 hours.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Have a few policies with Aflac for myself and my wife through my employer. On 4 of the 6 policies, they have a wellness benefit that pays between 50 and 60 a claim for doing things like a physical / annual checkup once per year. Filed a claim for all 4 policies in February of 2020. Kind of forgot about it, but around Jul 6 I recalled that I didn't receive anything so I called to figure out what happened.

Customer support claims that no claims had been filed, which I know wasn't true, as I had received confirmation of them being filed. Figured I would just file again, but forgot about it again. Finally, in late December, half of the claims suddenly show up in my bank account via EFT, and the other half by check in the mail. All show claims dates of early in the year. Then, 2 days later, another check shows up for $60- for a claim from mid 2019! At that point I realized I hadn't even gotten paid from the year prior claims.

I truly hope I never have a big claim, as I am sure it will take decades to get paid if it takes over 1 year for a $60 wellness claim. Definitely not worth the money, and definitely not in line with their marketing where they act as if they pay fast for emergencies. I may have to invest heavily into this companies stock, as they definitely have to be turning a huge profit with how slow they pay claims.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I have had a cancer policy since 2008. Every time you call the wait times have been between 1 hour and 1 hour and 45 minutes. Then to also find out when they do call you back that claimed will be processed around a certain date at the end of the month. They used to have claims processed in 3-4 days but now it's whenever and whatever date. To pay the premiums promptly they want your money immediately but when it comes time for them to pay you you wait forever.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Every negative review about this company should be believed. We had to file a complaint to the Virginia Bureau of Insurance to get our final payment. They have the run around down to a fine art. When you call you have to chase a real person. Then you are put on hold while they "look into it" or "consult the claims department". They ask for unneeded information such as a detailed itemized surgery report even when they have the diagnosis from an oncologist as well as a biopsy. You send what they want and when you don't hear anything you call and go through the same phone disaster only to have someone say they didn't get it. Then you repeat this same process until you decide you cannot continue to fight cancer and AFLAC at the same time.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

January 2020 I received a promotion to Supervisor. After passing my trial period I then became eligible for full benefits. I was told that I could sign up with Aflac. After being interviewed by salesman over the phone I got a couple of products including short term disability policy. Sept 30 2020 I was diagnosed with a heart condition after going to the emergency room. I was kept in the hospital on a Sunday night and had open heart surgery on Wednesday. Since then I have had to make over 20 calls to Aflac about my claim. Each time I have to wait hours for a call back because they claim to have an unusual amount of calls the entire day. I keep getting letters in the mail stating the paperwork was incomplete or they need additional documents.

My surgery was Sept 30 2020 and it is now Dec 12 2020. I am no further down the road than I was at the beginning. Each time I call I'm told they didn't receive the requested documents. I'm also told each time they are requesting an escalation on this process but nothing is happening. I've been reading other reviews and they are similar to my experience if not worst. I'm on unpaid leave going on 2 1/2 months and paying out of my savings. This company is gangster taking money in and not paying out on the policies. I'm ashamed of Nick Saban for promoting Aflac. I wonder if he did research on them before he contracted? My only hope is for God to intervene. Aflac is a cancer and is sickening. Because I had this happen after 2 months of getting the policy they are treating me like I'm a criminal. Don't use this company please.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I have paid on a cancer policy for many years. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and had a double mastectomy. I am FIGHTING to get any money from them. My agent's phone # is disconnected, I am currently on hold and it has been 57minutes, and I am also using the chat feature. Their entire goal seems to be NOT to pay out unless you turn in more documentation than is believable. My pathology report wasn't enough. On and on. Forms are generic and don't match the situation. I have a 4000.00 IMMEDIATE cancer diagnosis benefit, that should not require me to fight this hard. I don't need this type of frustration on top of everything else. I truly feel like they put up so many roadblock that many people probably end up dropping the whole claim.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Had knee scoped in August. STD was filed 9-22. Still have not received anything from them. They always need some other form when they have all the information there. 0 stars for them. I have called numerous times and I cant count how many times I've heard 24-36 hours.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I have had Aflac for years and it has helped me from accidents to skin cancer. You do need to understand the plan you pick. I LOVE MY AFLAC!!! I would recommend it to everyone!! Listen to the person explaining it to you as my friend tried to turn in a cancer claim as an accident and of course got denied.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I have had Aflac since 1999 and never a major claim, until June of 2020 when I injured my back and had to have surgery. Then I had to fight tooth and nail to get benefits entitled and still not ALL what is owed.

Aflac author review by Matthew Brodsky

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.

• Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.

• Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.

• Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.

• Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor