Aflac

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Schuana of Braggs, OK on

I have filed several claims with this company only to be denied or sent collecting information that really should not be needed. I filed drug claims, sent what they wanted then was denied, told to find ICD codes for the reason I was taking this medication. I have argued with this company till I have had it. I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I have sent critical illness claims in as they have ask. I send one then they tell me it needs to come from another doctor so the surgeon, oncologist, my MD all have faxed them this information only for me to receive a letter telling me to submit another claim form. This is too much. They're a big joke. What happen to the advertisement "we work your claims quick"? Please.

Tammy of Rogue River, OR on

I am very ill and had to go on leave from work. I filed the temporary disability claim and was told that I do not have six months as I signed up for! I originally signed up for three months and then during open enrollment I changed it to six months because I found out I was ill. It turns out the rep never filed the paperwork with Aflac so now I am seriously ill and only have three months instead of the six months I signed up for. The whole reason I changed to the six month policy is because I came down with a disease and now that I need it I am screwed if it goes over three months. I hope they at least pay the three months as I am still waiting for them to make a decision. I will definitely be contacting an attorney. Very dissatisfied with Aflac.

Randall of Calumet City, IL on

4 policies, one a specified event policy. Cardiac Cath and Surgical Consult diagnosed me with Aortic stenosis (which is not covered, nor is it relevant to policy, excluded) and recommended to have 2 CABG coronary artery bypass grafts. Aflac requested Operative Report (O.R.) after initial claim, apparently they didn't read anything past the O.R. diagnosis of Aortic Stenosis and coronary artery disease (CAD). The surgery detailed how saphenous vein was harvested from leg and vein was connected to the Left anterior descending (LAD) another connected to the obtuse marginal. They have denied the claim 3 times with a response of Aortic Stenosis and CAD not covered ignoring facts the surgical procedure performed supports.

It is insulting that they play games with people's claims choosing the delay, deny, delay, deny garbage. My next step will be contacting my state's Department of Insurance, State's Attorney General and several news "Investigative Reporting" and other media companies interested in exposing the Insurance Fraud I believe I am experiencing. My resolve is firm and documentation strong.

Josh of Dahlonega, GA on

It's upsetting to me to pay for a service and when you need it they are not there for you. I've been trying to file 2 claims for several months now with no success. One day pay is a scam. I still haven't been reimbursed after 2 months. I'm guessing they are going to send me something else saying I need more paperwork. This company is a huge scam. Look at the BBB before you waste your money. I pay on time every paycheck. Do not expect them too! Sincerely your loyal paying policyholder.

Barbara of Lamar, CO on

I have been an Aflac customer for almost 18 years with the company I work with. I have had to use my Aflac policies minimally in that time up until this year, with a broken arm and knee replacement. Needless to say 2016 hasn't been my year. Aflac has been horrible in assisting me with accessing my benefits. Sometimes up to two months after my injury. They are rude when you call, don't assist, and treat you less than standard. You have to call them basically everyday. They deny you right away and that one day pay thing is a joke so don't rely on it. The reviews on here say a lot. If I had other options through my job I would take them. It's sad... they sure take the payment out of my check each month... I wish I could "look into them" before it paid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Tammy of Iuka, MS on

I have had 6 policies with Aflac prior to 1998, including a life policy. I called and spoke to Aflac the life division on June 29, 2013 changing my address and giving them my account number to automatic deposit on the 1st. I had spoken with Matthew and he assured me everything was corrected in the system. I called them immediately after I received the letter from them. I just found out today they had canceled the policy because payment was not made. They want all payments from 2013 which is 1800 dollars. That is just how they treat you. While the president and owner and CEO fills their stockings with millions at Christmas. We get screwed!!! I hope they get investigated and in shut down!!!

Christine of East Haven, CT on

I twice now have had to do my short term disability forms. The first time I did not get paid until I was a week before returning to work. They said I faxed it to the main office which took longer. They sent a small check first and then mailed out the remaining balance. This most recent time I had two separate surgeries. Here I am again practically having to beg to relieve my money. I keep getting no answers email after email and again no time frame - nothing. I sent in my hospital bills, ambulance, even my summary of my visit at the hospital, list of everything and all the forms Aflac gave me.

My Aflac rep said I'd get something and I haven't I emailed him just to be told "Oh I'll call Aflac tomorrow..." I need to be paid or I cannot go to my next doctor appointment or get my meds that I need. Aflac is clueless how people depend on fast payment to pay bills and medical expenses. Yet they seem to care very little about the consequences of them taking their sweet time. Seriously have to consider dropping them and finding someone else.

Carla of Hutto, TX on

Had short-term disability and life insurance for a little over 1 year. Recently submitted a claim for short-term disability just to find out that it's not even worth it. Due to my annual salary info been submitted incorrectly by my agent (half of what actually is); now I am getting paid half of what I was expecting. They won't correct the problem and their explanations are just vague answers. Considering finding a new insurance company.

Marisa of Norman, OK on

I filed a claim with them on 11/21/2016. On 11/23/16 I received an email that they did not have all of the proper forms (they did) but I faxed them again. The next week was Thanksgiving so I gave them Thur/Fri. I waited until Wednesday of the next week to follow up and they gave me the same line of lies. I re-faxed my documents once again. It is almost three weeks later and I called my health care provider to make sure the request has been completed and returned to AFLAC, but they have received no request from AFLAC at all.

I called AFLAC once again (3rd time) and got the same BS. I asked for a supervisor and I was on hold 25 minutes. Mitch (supervisor) said they "mailed" the request in. I told him they were not only provided with the provider's email but their fax number as well. I told him he was full of it and who uses the mail with automation today. Someone is lying and it was not the HC provider. These companies makes false claims that they have "Fast Claims" and a week turnaround. That is just a lie. Their claims office is an absolute joke. You are on hold for endless minutes and they give all of their customer. "It is in processing." What a horrible way to do business. I will drop my policy once this claim is paid.

Randy of Longview, WA on

AFLAC Insurance is a waste of money. If you attempt to file a claim with AFLAC that is the first step in the AFLAC Wild Goose Chase. Every time I or my wife have attempted a claim we are told that we did not complete the form correctly, that our doctor didn't complete the form correctly. If we make the changes in the manner they direct they say that we will be hearing from them. Usually we just never hear anything until we call back. Once they sent a letter saying that the claim was closed for lack of information. In most cases they just wait until we forget about the claim. It is obvious they have created a scam where they make filing a claim impossible because no person can fill out the paperwork correctly. And whatever you do don't fax them anything because it will go missing every time. I am cancelling this insurance and filing a complaint with the Washington state insurance commissioner.

Anita of Springville, AL on

So very upset with this company. Just had to have tendon surgery on my foot but I don't get paid because I didn't run to the dr. With a what I thought was twisted ankle within 72 hours... This place is ridiculous and I will be dropping it ASAP.

Valerie of Myrtle Creek, OR on

I have submitted eight (8) claims with AFLAC all for the same docs 09/08/2016, 4 each for the two policies hospital indemnity and short term disability, for a surgery I had on 09/08/2016. Dates I have sent docs to Aflac are from most recent: 11/06/2016, 10/26/2016, 10/14/2016 and 10/7/2016. The 10/14/2016 date, Aflac claims they never received my documentation, so I sent again. With each denial/closure of claim they are asking for information that was in the submission they just closed.

Aflac has not instructed what "other" information is needed. They reply with a form letter stating Medical History and Physical and a consult date with my physician and contact information. I have also provided to them all four times a consent form, signed by me to gather the documents they need from my physician/surgeon/hospital so all docs can be obtained. I have canceled the policies effective 11/04/2016 as I don't believe they are acting in my best interest. I also just filed a formal complaint with my state's Insurance Commission.

Cynthia of Amherst, OH on

I enrolled with Aflac short term disability with my employer. I felt good about this plan initially for times if & when I needed. I was denied benefit due to time of initial diagnosis. My delay for treatment was due to 1. Wrong diagnosis, 2. Waiting for medical insurance to be in effect due to job change, 3. Work surgery time & recovery with work schedule. I am canceling by policy & letting everyone I know not to use this company. Why get insurance. If it's not there when you need. I urge everyone save your money, don't invest in useless insurance like AFLAC!!!

mary of Erie, PA on

I have never had such a satisfactory experience with a company before! My husband acquired Aflac injury insurance for our family before he retired. Unfortunately, I didn't realize we had the coverage until almost 4 yrs later. While it required me to thoroughly dig thru past medical records, insurance claims, and obtain office notes, Aflac continued to pay for every sports related injury, wellness visits, car accident physical therapy and doctor visits, exercise injuries, gym injuries, and on and on. It's a phenomenal insurance program. As long as you provide requested documentation, the reps will guide you through the rest. You cannot believe that you are actually reimbursed for doctor visits until you get your checks in hand. I can't say enough about the value of Aflac, their promptness, and the safety net they provide. It is so well worth the minimal insurance cost per month for the protection of your family!

Anne of Smithtown, NY on

Was very upset that they would not pay for an accident claim. I injured myself by lifting something on a Wednesday and experienced a lot of pain in my neck and lower back. Was hoping it was just pulled muscles so did not go to the doctor until almost a week later when I was still in pain. Doctor prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy and anti-inflammatory. They denied my claim due to not going to doctor within 72 hours. So next time I lie about when I injured myself before going to the doctor? I was trying to save insurance and Aflac money by not running there unnecessarily, but next time I will I guess. Not very happy with them right now!

Caridad of Sw Ranches, FL on

So far my experience with Aflac has been TERRIBLE. They have lied, been rude, and made us jump through hoops to get anything done. We have complied with all of their ridiculous requests and they continue to lie and put us off. Do not bother having a policy with them because unless it's a small claim for $50, then they most likely will try not to give you money. TOTAL RIPOFF.

danny of Mayfield, KY on

I have had AFLAC since the 1990s. Very satisfied with the company and it helped us keep our bills paid. Now submitting a new claim without a REPRESENTATIVE TO HELP. We will see how it works out. Surprised so many are not happy with this company.

teresa of Cincinnati, OH on

I've had AFLAC about 10 years. Originally I had the Disability, Accident and Wellness but have dropped down to just Accident and Disability. I think the procedure of filling out and filing claims is a bit time consuming but once received they did pay quickly. Once I forgot my password and had to call in and the rep there looked at my account and told me I had not filed my wellness claims for the year prior and she got me paid quickly. Another time my agent informed me I could file for a broken foot. They sent me $500! I really can't say anything bad about the company.

Kim of De Soto, IL on

I purchased several Aflac policies and held them for several years. Was not late on payments. When injured now disabled they said they got my fax from my employer but wouldn't pay me citing a contradiction that they hadn't received the form. My employer faxed and mailed this multiple times. We both called and they would say they would have it but would lose it by the next week. I kept up my Aflac payments even out of work for 9 months. Trying to get this straightened out. Now permanently disabled. Did not receive one red cent. Do Not Trust this company. They are Frauds. Would not let me give less than 1 star. They are basically white collar criminals waiting for someone to fall prey. Then they can keep their money. If the person is not wealthy and is in very poor health then they don't have to worry about a lawsuit. Just easy pickings. Makes me so mad that I want to throw something at the tv every time the duck quacks. Uggh.

Vickie of Ironton, MO on

We have been with Aflac for over 12 years. Have filed several claims. No issues other than the new electronic upload. I can upload my documents numerous times and they say illegible every time. I have emailed my documents. Same thing. This last claim last week has been a real pain so I ended up getting my agent involved. I uploaded all hospital documents from ER, sent them in. It was for accident policy. We have all the policies.

Anyways 2 days later 170.00 was deposited in our checking. This was for a large laceration to my husband hand. They should of paid 320.00 but according to claims they said documents were too blurry, could not read them so how is it they read enough to pay out 170 but not could enough to pay the full amount. Seriously wrong. So just talk with agent again today. She trying to make them pay the rest which is very doubtful. At this point I have read several reviews and how long it has taken some to get paid.

Your best bet is to fax everything or hand deliver your documents to your agent and follow up daily because I do know they usually process claims by how they fall in the week like Friday they process Wednesday claims but your agent will upload your documents for you to get paid with a couple of days. Hope this helps.

Will we continue with Aflac? Yes we will for now but if this issue with paperwork filing keeps up we will most likely switch. Now I do have a friend that was diagnosed with lung cancer recently. He had his policy premium deducted from his check. Well he had surgery and took 3 months off and still no payment. Why? Because Aflac says he didn't have a policy now knowing he does. His agent is fixing it and hoping for his payment soon which will be quite large anyways. To me it seems the more money they have to pay out the longer it takes. I had a mammogram done and had payment the next day.

Frustrated with Aflac! of Sioux City, IA on

My parents paid premiums on older Aflac LTC policies for many years. My father died before he could use his policy and now that my 84 year old mother needs her benefits, I'm told that she doesn't qualify because she is in the 'assisted living wing' of the care center rather than the 'nursing home wing'. The company is the SAME, the price is the SAME and the care is the SAME, yet a 150-foot difference in location prevents her from claiming her benefits?

My mother has Alzheimer's that has been diagnosed by a physician. A nurse gives her daily medication. My mother requires 24 hour supervision (Custodial Care-as they call it in the benefits section of her policy). She recently put a napkin in her microwave and almost started a fire, so she is a danger to herself and others! Her condition is permanent, so she will not be living on her own again or returning home. She is unable to shop for food or prepare her own meals. She requires assistance bathing, washing her hair and maintaining her surroundings.

The care center has sent several claims to Aflac and they have all been denied based on her 'location'. When I have called to discuss/clarify/appeal her needs related to the claims, I'm given brief generic answers or the wrong answers. Not one representative has said they will reach out to the care center or doctor for more information. Why does Aflac even have an appeals process if they don't investigate or seek out documentation? Because she has 3 years of 'nursing home' benefits left, our only hope might be to move her to the other wing. Aflac will then be required to pay her benefits, so their current denial will have been a wasted effort to save their company money.

The only one that will suffer from the move is my mother. She has high blood pressure and doesn't do well with change. She also enjoys the ladies that join her for meals and she enjoys the view from her window. Moving her will mean new 'ladies' and a new 'view'; neither of which will be beneficial to an Alzheimer's patient. I have read similar complaints on other sites and they resolved their matter by communicating with their state's insurance commissioner. This will also be my course of action if I do not hear back from Aflac soon.

jeff of Monroe, NC on

I enrolled for Aflac insurance through my local union (Teamsters) in 2012. The few claims I have filed have been difficult to collect on. The representative from Aflac who basically enrolled several of my fellow employees was very vague in telling all of us about the group policy we signed up for. Recently I inquired about getting disability insurance and I was told that Aflac is not enrolling anyone for disability insurance at this time. So I asked her if I would be able to enroll at another time and she said no. Very dissatisfied with the whole experience.

Diana of Dearborn, MI on

Despite reading the bad reviews, I bought into the duck. I've had (2) policies with AFLAC for over (2) years and made a single claim after breaking my ankle in Feb. of this year. It's now the end of Sept. and despite submitting the necessary paperwork and making enumerable phone calls, I have yet to reach the one person who cares enough to do the right thing and pay out my claim. It's been my life's work as a veteran and a nurse to live my life with integrity and it's always a hard pill to swallow when others don't conduct themselves in the same manner. Disappointed.

Jessica of Brooklyn, NY on

Do NOT get AFLAC Group! They denied my claim when I was in fact in the hospital for almost 2 weeks... My policy had been in effect for a full month but they told me it was not and denied the claim anyway. They are a complete rip off. They had NO issues removing money from my account for almost 3 months, however, when I got sick and was admitted to the hospital they were absolutely worthless. DO NOT GET RIPPED OFF LIKE I DID!

anthony of Winter Springs, FL on

Through my employer I purchased short term disability and the accident plan. A month ago my family was in a auto accident. My wife and myself were taken by ambulance to the local E.R. I have had to file multiple claims. The first few were faxed over. Yes you do have to stay up on them. After all it's your money. Then the others I did the on line one day claim. It was processed in one day and three days later my money was direct deposit. If it had not been for Aflac I cannot began to think what situation we would be in with bills. I have read these reviews by other people and for the life of me cant understand why they would say things like they have. Every one I spoke to was very helpful even when asking to speak to supervisors. When I did the one day claim the lady I spoke to was nice enough to walk me through the whole process. I would recommend Aflac to any one and have bragged about them to anyone that asks.

Josh of Osceola, IN on

We had been loyal happy customers of Aflac for 5 or more years, utilizing their policies as supplemental insurance for various things, as is their purpose without issue. We were coaxed into leaving our individual plan to join a group plan. Things went along well, until the group plan was cancelled. In December of 2014 the policy was cancelled. Through the calendar year of 2015, we dutifully paid our premiums and received notices of premium due, on a policy unbeknownst to us had been cancelled.

When we went to submit some claims in spring of 2016, we found out that the policy no longer existed, despite Aflac having collected premiums for longer than one full year. As we investigated the issue in an attempt to rectify the discrepancy, we discovered that Aflac was unwilling and unable to do anything to satisfactorily resolve the issue. We were told that because we went to group, there was no way to revert to an individual policy again and retain our seniority as Aflac customers, thereby losing out on some claims opportunities we should have qualified for. Additionally, we were told that the only way to continue coverage would be to purchase brand new Individual policies, or transition to a different group plan (an option no longer available to us).

We find this to be totally unacceptable and frankly an excuse to get out of obligations in a contract. We were misinformed by the sales agent (Sally **, Lansing Michigan) who indicated to us we would have no issues transitioning our policies around as life changed. We would strongly caution anyone who wishes to move policies with Aflac to scrutinize the fine print, and to press their representatives hard to ensure that there are no difficulties like this for them. Aflac was able to refund our overpaid premiums, which was the only satisfactory piece to this debacle.

Kayla of Clintwood, VA on

I've had Aflac for going on 10 months. Needless to say I was in an accident and upon reaching out to someone to file a claim not only was the representative I spoke with very rude and stated she could not find my policy since I had misplaced my policy number 25 minutes later after providing her with the same information over and over she magically found me. She then proceed to give my number but the one she provided me with was completely wrong. She sent me a email with a claims form. I filled it out and faxed it straight in the same exact day. I've not heard from them. I've attempted to reach out to customer care and haven't heard back from anyone. Needless to say I'm ready to cancel this joke of a policy and shop around! I've never dealt with such crappy customer service in my life and let me mention I am a supervisor in a call center myself. My agents never speak with our customers in such manners.

Marjorie of Ashtabula, OH on

I have had a cancer policy since 2003 which I took out when my employer offered it to us. I have been paying the premium every 3 months as was set up. In May 2015 I received a letter asking why I had not cashed the check they sent me for the last payment as they had cancelled my policy. I called HQ and asked why my policy had been cancelled. The agent could give me no reason and finally said it was for non payment. This did not make sense since they were returning my payment which I had never received. I finally had to fill out a form to be reinstated which I was. That was in July 2015. I requested in writing to be sent a bill or a reminder so I had some proof that they were receiving my payments and didn't get my policy cancelled without any notice. To this day I have never received a bill or reminder and my policy has been cancelled again. This time I will not reinstate it.

Carrie of Jacksonville, AR on

They denied a hernia claim saying it wasn't an accident. This is common practice for them! It was an accident, and this company will do anything to avoid paying a claim. I canceled my insurance. Do not enroll with this company! Save your money and put it in a bank account! You will be miles ahead.

janet of Lanham, MD on
Consumer Increased Rating!

Today I was helped by Princess and Selena after nine months of unrest. I would like to thank both of them for being compassionate and understanding. Most of all they were knowledgeable and able to resolve my issues. Very professional to say the least. A cash award for both of them is recommended for their ability to help me understand, explain the business and offer an alternative. I am not happy with AFLAC for canceling my policies when I was not at fault but I will reinstate my policies because of Princess and Selena who assisted me. They treated me with respect and dignity.

janet of Lanham, MD on

Original Review

I have been a member since 2010 with 3 policies. 1 yr ago I found out my agent Deborah ** no longer worked for AFLAC so I got another agent Dana ** through email. Headquarters confirmed that he worked for them. However, he was not sending my payments to headquarters so my policies were canceled even though I continued my payments. The district sell coordinator Wilma ** confirmed I was in good standing and Dana needed to send info to headquarters. Seldom did he make contact with me. I was often in contact with Lisa ** then Wanda who worked for Dana **.

After nine months of back and forth I stopped the allotment. Then I get an email from him! So I called HQ to make sure he wasn't a scammer. Princess and Selena listen to my story, found discrepancies with info I was receiving from Dana and agents at HQ. Both ladies were compassionate, courteous, professional and understanding. Both offered an alternative that met my needs and should be commended. I am planning to reinstate because of them. I still feel it's unfair that I am penalized for a lapse in coverage and charged a higher rate when the payments were still being received at BOKF, N.A. by Dana **. AFLAC HQ continued to return my payments so eventually I closed allotment. PLEASE NOTE MY RATING IS FOR THE 2 LADIES WHO I SPOKE WITH TODAY...

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.
  • Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.
  • Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.
  • Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.
  • Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.
  • Best for People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Compare Disability Insurance