Aflac

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

AFLAC Insurance is a waste of money. If you attempt to file a claim with AFLAC that is the first step in the AFLAC Wild Goose Chase. Every time I or my wife have attempted a claim we are told that we did not complete the form correctly, that our doctor didn't complete the form correctly. If we make the changes in the manner they direct they say that we will be hearing from them. Usually we just never hear anything until we call back. Once they sent a letter saying that the claim was closed for lack of information. In most cases they just wait until we forget about the claim. It is obvious they have created a scam where they make filing a claim impossible because no person can fill out the paperwork correctly. And whatever you do don't fax them anything because it will go missing every time. I am cancelling this insurance and filing a complaint with the Washington state insurance commissioner.

So very upset with this company. Just had to have tendon surgery on my foot but I don't get paid because I didn't run to the dr. With a what I thought was twisted ankle within 72 hours... This place is ridiculous and I will be dropping it ASAP.

I have submitted eight (8) claims with AFLAC all for the same docs 09/08/2016, 4 each for the two policies hospital indemnity and short term disability, for a surgery I had on 09/08/2016. Dates I have sent docs to Aflac are from most recent: 11/06/2016, 10/26/2016, 10/14/2016 and 10/7/2016. The 10/14/2016 date, Aflac claims they never received my documentation, so I sent again. With each denial/closure of claim they are asking for information that was in the submission they just closed.

Aflac has not instructed what "other" information is needed. They reply with a form letter stating Medical History and Physical and a consult date with my physician and contact information. I have also provided to them all four times a consent form, signed by me to gather the documents they need from my physician/surgeon/hospital so all docs can be obtained. I have canceled the policies effective 11/04/2016 as I don't believe they are acting in my best interest. I also just filed a formal complaint with my state's Insurance Commission.

I enrolled with Aflac short term disability with my employer. I felt good about this plan initially for times if & when I needed. I was denied benefit due to time of initial diagnosis. My delay for treatment was due to 1. Wrong diagnosis, 2. Waiting for medical insurance to be in effect due to job change, 3. Work surgery time & recovery with work schedule. I am canceling by policy & letting everyone I know not to use this company. Why get insurance. If it's not there when you need. I urge everyone save your money, don't invest in useless insurance like AFLAC!!!

I have never had such a satisfactory experience with a company before! My husband acquired Aflac injury insurance for our family before he retired. Unfortunately, I didn't realize we had the coverage until almost 4 yrs later. While it required me to thoroughly dig thru past medical records, insurance claims, and obtain office notes, Aflac continued to pay for every sports related injury, wellness visits, car accident physical therapy and doctor visits, exercise injuries, gym injuries, and on and on. It's a phenomenal insurance program. As long as you provide requested documentation, the reps will guide you through the rest. You cannot believe that you are actually reimbursed for doctor visits until you get your checks in hand. I can't say enough about the value of Aflac, their promptness, and the safety net they provide. It is so well worth the minimal insurance cost per month for the protection of your family!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Was very upset that they would not pay for an accident claim. I injured myself by lifting something on a Wednesday and experienced a lot of pain in my neck and lower back. Was hoping it was just pulled muscles so did not go to the doctor until almost a week later when I was still in pain. Doctor prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy and anti-inflammatory. They denied my claim due to not going to doctor within 72 hours. So next time I lie about when I injured myself before going to the doctor? I was trying to save insurance and Aflac money by not running there unnecessarily, but next time I will I guess. Not very happy with them right now!

So far my experience with Aflac has been TERRIBLE. They have lied, been rude, and made us jump through hoops to get anything done. We have complied with all of their ridiculous requests and they continue to lie and put us off. Do not bother having a policy with them because unless it's a small claim for $50, then they most likely will try not to give you money. TOTAL RIPOFF.

I have had AFLAC since the 1990s. Very satisfied with the company and it helped us keep our bills paid. Now submitting a new claim without a REPRESENTATIVE TO HELP. We will see how it works out. Surprised so many are not happy with this company.

I've had AFLAC about 10 years. Originally I had the Disability, Accident and Wellness but have dropped down to just Accident and Disability. I think the procedure of filling out and filing claims is a bit time consuming but once received they did pay quickly. Once I forgot my password and had to call in and the rep there looked at my account and told me I had not filed my wellness claims for the year prior and she got me paid quickly. Another time my agent informed me I could file for a broken foot. They sent me $500! I really can't say anything bad about the company.

I purchased several Aflac policies and held them for several years. Was not late on payments. When injured now disabled they said they got my fax from my employer but wouldn't pay me citing a contradiction that they hadn't received the form. My employer faxed and mailed this multiple times. We both called and they would say they would have it but would lose it by the next week. I kept up my Aflac payments even out of work for 9 months. Trying to get this straightened out. Now permanently disabled. Did not receive one red cent. Do Not Trust this company. They are Frauds. Would not let me give less than 1 star. They are basically white collar criminals waiting for someone to fall prey. Then they can keep their money. If the person is not wealthy and is in very poor health then they don't have to worry about a lawsuit. Just easy pickings. Makes me so mad that I want to throw something at the tv every time the duck quacks. Uggh.

We have been with Aflac for over 12 years. Have filed several claims. No issues other than the new electronic upload. I can upload my documents numerous times and they say illegible every time. I have emailed my documents. Same thing. This last claim last week has been a real pain so I ended up getting my agent involved. I uploaded all hospital documents from ER, sent them in. It was for accident policy. We have all the policies.

Anyways 2 days later 170.00 was deposited in our checking. This was for a large laceration to my husband hand. They should of paid 320.00 but according to claims they said documents were too blurry, could not read them so how is it they read enough to pay out 170 but not could enough to pay the full amount. Seriously wrong. So just talk with agent again today. She trying to make them pay the rest which is very doubtful. At this point I have read several reviews and how long it has taken some to get paid.

Your best bet is to fax everything or hand deliver your documents to your agent and follow up daily because I do know they usually process claims by how they fall in the week like Friday they process Wednesday claims but your agent will upload your documents for you to get paid with a couple of days. Hope this helps.

Will we continue with Aflac? Yes we will for now but if this issue with paperwork filing keeps up we will most likely switch. Now I do have a friend that was diagnosed with lung cancer recently. He had his policy premium deducted from his check. Well he had surgery and took 3 months off and still no payment. Why? Because Aflac says he didn't have a policy now knowing he does. His agent is fixing it and hoping for his payment soon which will be quite large anyways. To me it seems the more money they have to pay out the longer it takes. I had a mammogram done and had payment the next day.

My parents paid premiums on older Aflac LTC policies for many years. My father died before he could use his policy and now that my 84 year old mother needs her benefits, I'm told that she doesn't qualify because she is in the 'assisted living wing' of the care center rather than the 'nursing home wing'. The company is the SAME, the price is the SAME and the care is the SAME, yet a 150-foot difference in location prevents her from claiming her benefits?

My mother has Alzheimer's that has been diagnosed by a physician. A nurse gives her daily medication. My mother requires 24 hour supervision (Custodial Care-as they call it in the benefits section of her policy). She recently put a napkin in her microwave and almost started a fire, so she is a danger to herself and others! Her condition is permanent, so she will not be living on her own again or returning home. She is unable to shop for food or prepare her own meals. She requires assistance bathing, washing her hair and maintaining her surroundings.

The care center has sent several claims to Aflac and they have all been denied based on her 'location'. When I have called to discuss/clarify/appeal her needs related to the claims, I'm given brief generic answers or the wrong answers. Not one representative has said they will reach out to the care center or doctor for more information. Why does Aflac even have an appeals process if they don't investigate or seek out documentation? Because she has 3 years of 'nursing home' benefits left, our only hope might be to move her to the other wing. Aflac will then be required to pay her benefits, so their current denial will have been a wasted effort to save their company money.

The only one that will suffer from the move is my mother. She has high blood pressure and doesn't do well with change. She also enjoys the ladies that join her for meals and she enjoys the view from her window. Moving her will mean new 'ladies' and a new 'view'; neither of which will be beneficial to an Alzheimer's patient. I have read similar complaints on other sites and they resolved their matter by communicating with their state's insurance commissioner. This will also be my course of action if I do not hear back from Aflac soon.

I enrolled for Aflac insurance through my local union (Teamsters) in 2012. The few claims I have filed have been difficult to collect on. The representative from Aflac who basically enrolled several of my fellow employees was very vague in telling all of us about the group policy we signed up for. Recently I inquired about getting disability insurance and I was told that Aflac is not enrolling anyone for disability insurance at this time. So I asked her if I would be able to enroll at another time and she said no. Very dissatisfied with the whole experience.

Despite reading the bad reviews, I bought into the duck. I've had (2) policies with AFLAC for over (2) years and made a single claim after breaking my ankle in Feb. of this year. It's now the end of Sept. and despite submitting the necessary paperwork and making enumerable phone calls, I have yet to reach the one person who cares enough to do the right thing and pay out my claim. It's been my life's work as a veteran and a nurse to live my life with integrity and it's always a hard pill to swallow when others don't conduct themselves in the same manner. Disappointed.

Do NOT get AFLAC Group! They denied my claim when I was in fact in the hospital for almost 2 weeks... My policy had been in effect for a full month but they told me it was not and denied the claim anyway. They are a complete rip off. They had NO issues removing money from my account for almost 3 months, however, when I got sick and was admitted to the hospital they were absolutely worthless. DO NOT GET RIPPED OFF LIKE I DID!

Through my employer I purchased short term disability and the accident plan. A month ago my family was in a auto accident. My wife and myself were taken by ambulance to the local E.R. I have had to file multiple claims. The first few were faxed over. Yes you do have to stay up on them. After all it's your money. Then the others I did the on line one day claim. It was processed in one day and three days later my money was direct deposit. If it had not been for Aflac I cannot began to think what situation we would be in with bills. I have read these reviews by other people and for the life of me cant understand why they would say things like they have. Every one I spoke to was very helpful even when asking to speak to supervisors. When I did the one day claim the lady I spoke to was nice enough to walk me through the whole process. I would recommend Aflac to any one and have bragged about them to anyone that asks.

We had been loyal happy customers of Aflac for 5 or more years, utilizing their policies as supplemental insurance for various things, as is their purpose without issue. We were coaxed into leaving our individual plan to join a group plan. Things went along well, until the group plan was cancelled. In December of 2014 the policy was cancelled. Through the calendar year of 2015, we dutifully paid our premiums and received notices of premium due, on a policy unbeknownst to us had been cancelled.

When we went to submit some claims in spring of 2016, we found out that the policy no longer existed, despite Aflac having collected premiums for longer than one full year. As we investigated the issue in an attempt to rectify the discrepancy, we discovered that Aflac was unwilling and unable to do anything to satisfactorily resolve the issue. We were told that because we went to group, there was no way to revert to an individual policy again and retain our seniority as Aflac customers, thereby losing out on some claims opportunities we should have qualified for. Additionally, we were told that the only way to continue coverage would be to purchase brand new Individual policies, or transition to a different group plan (an option no longer available to us).

We find this to be totally unacceptable and frankly an excuse to get out of obligations in a contract. We were misinformed by the sales agent (Sally **, Lansing Michigan) who indicated to us we would have no issues transitioning our policies around as life changed. We would strongly caution anyone who wishes to move policies with Aflac to scrutinize the fine print, and to press their representatives hard to ensure that there are no difficulties like this for them. Aflac was able to refund our overpaid premiums, which was the only satisfactory piece to this debacle.

I've had Aflac for going on 10 months. Needless to say I was in an accident and upon reaching out to someone to file a claim not only was the representative I spoke with very rude and stated she could not find my policy since I had misplaced my policy number 25 minutes later after providing her with the same information over and over she magically found me. She then proceed to give my number but the one she provided me with was completely wrong. She sent me a email with a claims form. I filled it out and faxed it straight in the same exact day. I've not heard from them. I've attempted to reach out to customer care and haven't heard back from anyone. Needless to say I'm ready to cancel this joke of a policy and shop around! I've never dealt with such crappy customer service in my life and let me mention I am a supervisor in a call center myself. My agents never speak with our customers in such manners.

I have had a cancer policy since 2003 which I took out when my employer offered it to us. I have been paying the premium every 3 months as was set up. In May 2015 I received a letter asking why I had not cashed the check they sent me for the last payment as they had cancelled my policy. I called HQ and asked why my policy had been cancelled. The agent could give me no reason and finally said it was for non payment. This did not make sense since they were returning my payment which I had never received. I finally had to fill out a form to be reinstated which I was. That was in July 2015. I requested in writing to be sent a bill or a reminder so I had some proof that they were receiving my payments and didn't get my policy cancelled without any notice. To this day I have never received a bill or reminder and my policy has been cancelled again. This time I will not reinstate it.

They denied a hernia claim saying it wasn't an accident. This is common practice for them! It was an accident, and this company will do anything to avoid paying a claim. I canceled my insurance. Do not enroll with this company! Save your money and put it in a bank account! You will be miles ahead.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Today I was helped by Princess and Selena after nine months of unrest. I would like to thank both of them for being compassionate and understanding. Most of all they were knowledgeable and able to resolve my issues. Very professional to say the least. A cash award for both of them is recommended for their ability to help me understand, explain the business and offer an alternative. I am not happy with AFLAC for canceling my policies when I was not at fault but I will reinstate my policies because of Princess and Selena who assisted me. They treated me with respect and dignity.

janet of Lanham, MD on

Original Review

I have been a member since 2010 with 3 policies. 1 yr ago I found out my agent Deborah ** no longer worked for AFLAC so I got another agent Dana ** through email. Headquarters confirmed that he worked for them. However, he was not sending my payments to headquarters so my policies were canceled even though I continued my payments. The district sell coordinator Wilma ** confirmed I was in good standing and Dana needed to send info to headquarters. Seldom did he make contact with me. I was often in contact with Lisa ** then Wanda who worked for Dana **.

After nine months of back and forth I stopped the allotment. Then I get an email from him! So I called HQ to make sure he wasn't a scammer. Princess and Selena listen to my story, found discrepancies with info I was receiving from Dana and agents at HQ. Both ladies were compassionate, courteous, professional and understanding. Both offered an alternative that met my needs and should be commended. I am planning to reinstate because of them. I still feel it's unfair that I am penalized for a lapse in coverage and charged a higher rate when the payments were still being received at BOKF, N.A. by Dana **. AFLAC HQ continued to return my payments so eventually I closed allotment. PLEASE NOTE MY RATING IS FOR THE 2 LADIES WHO I SPOKE WITH TODAY...

Wish I could give -0 on a rating! Our daughter was at the park, broke two bones in her wrist. We sent all documents to Aflac within a week and they paid us almost three weeks later for one broken bone. So we've submitted the paperwork for the second break 17 days ago and they sent a letter from our cancer insurance, saying the claim was denied. Mind you, we have 3 separate insurance coverages through them, cancer, group coverage and accidental. I sent it to accidental so why did I get a letter from the cancer office!? Get your claims and paperwork right Aflac! I sent all documents to the correct place and address so stop playing games with us!!! We pay you every month with no problem and expect the same! I am EXTREMELY unsatisfied with the way they handle us as PAYING customers!

My employer used to have a contract with Aflac and I bought in. They dropped the contract with Aflac and the agent sent email to me asking if I wanted to continue policies and I said yes and had automatic debit from checking. She dropped the ball, did not send in renewal for disability, we needed it and found out it was discontinued. I went with another agent. She came to our house and we specifically asked for disability policies. We ended up with a cancer policy as well. I had surgery, off work 3-4 weeks, therapy and everything. I called agent to submit disability claim, and found out I had none. She did not even fill one out for us a year ago and instead was an accident policy. I'm out. DO NOT purchase Aflac. They are a rip off and the agents always say to contact corporate. What is the point of an agent if you always have to go through corporate.

Our company was offered Aflac services through a local insurance rep. She made it seem easy to get good results from any of the policies she offered. She gave several examples of how Aflac helped some of her clients. I chose the short term disability policy in February 2016. Had back surgery in August 2016 for cysts that developed in my spine. The rep sent me the paperwork to be filled out 2 weeks prior to the surgery so she could get it in the system early to speed up the claim process. The claim was denied because the surgeon and my employer signed the forms prior to my day of disability, which was the surgery day. Still waiting to hear back from our Rep. Beware of Aflac. I have heard from several people that they had the same problem with getting their claim approved by having the paperwork incorrect. I did what our insurance Rep. instructed me to do to no success. Will be canceling my policy. Stay away from Aflac.

I received a check for intensive care for Marvin ** and since he passed I can't cash the check so I sent a fax back with the form you told me to send with a death certificate. Now they tell me they didn't get it. I'm so disgusted with this, I have done all they told me to do. Every time you call you get a different person and nobody knows what's going on. I would like attention to this. Fax sent 8-5-16.

I only gave them 1 star because no stars was not an option. Problem number one: I faxed a claim form to them because my husband was in the hospital 2 nights for emergency appendectomy. After three weeks we still hadn't heard anything so my husband called, the lady he spoke with said, "Oh! That's the wrong fax number." (It's the number at the bottom of their hospital indemnity claim form!!!) So she gave him another number. I faxed to that number and it was a phone number to some other random company! So I called and spoke to someone and she gave me yet another fax number, it seems to have worked, we'll see.

Problem number two: when you read the fine print they find any reason not to pay your claim, so I'm sure we won't get payment for his surgery and hospital stay. Problem number three: When you call, the CSR will ask for your SSN to look up your account. I said, "I am not comfortable with that. Can you just take the last four digits?", after she sighed loudly and hatefully at me, she responded no, she can't open my account that way. I said, "Well I'm not giving it to you." She then looked it up with my address and "birthday" and company I work for. Guess what? She was able to find it.

Problem number four: We have called multiple times and are usually transferred at least once to someone different. All total I would say we have spoken with 8 different people and they were all the same ethnicity. Now, I'm not racist by any means, but there is ZERO diversity at this company and it makes me uncomfortable! I honestly felt (and my husband did too) that because we are of a certain ethnicity that we were not taken seriously and in fact they were put out that they even had to speak to us.

Problem number five: We have yet to get a CSR whose name we can spell much less pronounce and none of the CSRs that we spoke with spoke clearly, or understandably!!! Do not believe the commercials when they say "claims paid in four days" - no no no!!! They find any and every reason NOT to pay your claim. In fact they give you the run-around (wrong fax number and so on) so that they don't have to pay! This is the most ill run company I have ever dealt with!!! Don't waste your money! I cannot wait until open enrollment so that I can cancel my policy!!! AFLAC SUCKS!!!

I requested funds to be sent by mail on June 20. Address was changed on June 17th. Spoke to Tami ** on July 14. Informed her via email that check issued on June 20 had not arrived, to please send a stop payment for. On July 18 Tami sent us an Lost Check Affidavit form. This is when I noticed the address on the form was incorrect. A month had passed by, and repeatedly assuring me that the address was correct on her end, I find the affidavit form to have wrong address. To make matters more frustrating Aflac employee insisted that I absorb the notary cost.

I asked to speak to a manager on July 18th. Got Mr. Jacob **. I explained the situation again, confirmed address again. He assured me that a check will be put in the mail on July 19th. But on July 21, Jacob ** took it upon himself to stop the check and now wants to wire proceeds. During this time I started to deal with him via email as trust was not there. On July 22 I received a wire completion email. Then on July 25, another email wire did not go through. On July 27 received email wire sent. All during this ordeal, I never once heard Jacob ** show any understanding empathy, acknowledging responsibility or taking ownership. I wanted to avoid the cost of sending/receiving wire and that is exactly what I was forced to do. I asked to speak to Jacob **'s boss, and was told that she is out of the office. However, if Joan ** does not look closer into her staff and into Jacob then I am afraid this will continue its course. A total disappointment!

I purchased their Hospital Indemnity plan and on June 1 was in a very serious auto accident. I was in ICU for 2 days, CCU for 5 days, and in the Rehabilitation Hospital for 14 more days. 21 days as a hospital inpatient. My claim with AFLAC was denied because they said "I wasn't in a REAL hospital"!?! I was in the ONLY Level 2 trauma center in all of Northern Nevada (Renown Hospital) - and they say it's not a REAL hospital??? My hospital bills are now more than $175,000 and they're refusing to pay my $2,900 claim? You're better off buying some Crispy Duck at your local Chinese Restaurant than buying insurance from these guys!

My husband and I are in ND working till my better half can retire. He has been paying on a policy since 2001 that started out being a policy for accident on him only. In November 2015 I fell and broke my ankle at a business that has refused to pay anything on my injury at their location with witnesses as I keep getting the buck thrown at me. I returned back to work 2 months later and there is a rep from Aflac present. I told her my situation when it was my turn to talk to her. She looks up my husband's policy and said that, "It's not an accident policy for him. It's a supplemental insurance and you can turn your paperwork in and get some of your medical and mileage back." Boy was I a happy camper. So I gave her all my paperwork (kept originals) and she said she sent it in, this was in March.

Here it is July 28th 2016 and I have not heard anything from Aflac. I have tried contacting my agent with phone calls and e-mails and nothing. I tried calling the 800 number and was on hold for 45 mins and using up my cell minutes. Not sure what to do here now that I have done all that I know what to do. I had gotten another policy in March (you scratch my back sort of thing) with the money being taken out of my check which I am going to have stopped because it's my money. Insurance is something you can cancel at any time. Not at the end of a policy but anytime. No one can tell you how to spend your money. This is coming from a retired judge so I am going to take his word and just stop payment from my paychecks. I hope that Aflac learns from all of us and starts treating people right but as you know you can't fix stupid.

I signed up, as a single mom, for 3 policies, Cancer Indemnity, Accident Indemnity and Short term Disability, in 2005, with a boyfriend selling AFLAC. He hooked me by telling me I could sign up as a business owner, and avoid the bank withdrawal (not that they haven't tried absolutely everything to get my bank info). I put the policies in a drawer and have been paying 109.94 monthly ever since. Recently, I had some outpatient procedures, and pulled the policies out. Also noticed that 2 of the policies have wellness clauses (annually, $135 inclusive). I immediately filled all wellness for the last 4 years, as well as my 2 first outpatient surgeries, expecting at least $1000 to come reasonably soon.

I received a check for $50 with 8 denials and 2 "no answer." The denials were due to AFLAC's claiming that I had changed my policies in 5/15/2011. They provided me with ONE contract (cancer policy) FORGED. They have ignored all of my requests for other signed contracts made on that date. The policy salesman claims to know nothing about any changes in 2011. With everything I have read so far regarding AFLAC's theft and dishonesty, I am praying that an attorney has picked up on this by now. Please let me know. I have copied countless documents, along with the overcharges that I receive each month.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.
  • Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.
  • Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.
  • Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.
  • Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.
  • Best for People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Compare Disability Insurance