1.41/5

Aflac

Aflac is the leader in voluntary insurance sales at the work site in the United States.*

Short-Term Disability**

Hospital Intensive Care**

Hospital Indemnity***

Dental***

Vision**

**Available as individual product only

***Available in both individual and group products. Benefits of group and individual products may vary.

View More View More

703 Aflac Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I fell and cracked my rotator cuff and have health insurance. If it was not for the $1250 Aflac paid me I would have swiped $2200 on my credit card. I will get more my agent tells me if I have the surgery done. I have health insurance that I pay over $700 each month for an individual plan. Aflac claims process was great. I was paid in 24 hours direct deposited into my bank account. If you read a bad review of this company it has to be a mistake because everyone at our job thinks they are just amazing.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Filed a claim 3.5 weeks ago with my assigned rep. Was given the appropriate paperwork and returned all to the rep. He failed to fax the paperwork and was noncommunicative for over 5 days, would not answer his phone or return my voicemails or reply to emails and texts. I was forced to call and be on hold with their support line for over 2.5 hrs just to be told that my Rep never turned in my paperwork. When I asked them if the 3 documents I have are all I need to be submitted so they can process my claim they assured me that is all they need and I would be paid in 4 days.

They gave me their fax number so I did my rep's job and faxed the documents. I informed my rep of this through voicemail text and email, never got a reply. The next day I called, texted and emailed the rep but got the same result. 5 days went by with no word from anyone from Aflac so I again made my attempts at contacting them but ultimately had to deal with the support line again resulting in a 1.5 hr hold time to be told that they had just mailed me a letter the day before asking for my W2 from 2017 and that will allow them to settle the claim.

I then vented my frustration about the lack of communication. They heard my frustrations and assigned me a new rep, the district manager of the reps, he set up an online portal for me so I can basically do his job for him and informed me they need my medical records. I uploaded the now new needed documents all 289 pages via pdf file. Well let me tell you the portal is garbage. Very uninformative, 5 more days went by with no word or being able to contact the new rep and my portal has not changed. Finally 4 days later the newly assigned rep rudely informs me that he can't help me and I need to call the support line. I call and they say all seems to be good and that in 4 days I will get paid. Lol. Ok sure. 4 days go by and just today the newer rep guy text me saying they need my most recent pay stub now. What a joke.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

This company is a crook. I have 2 pending accident claims and a short term disability claim. I have sent them everything they have asked for and they are still pending and now they are asking for a HCFA 1500 which is only for physicians. Anything to get out of paying a claim but they make sure they auto draft my bank account every month. Everyone should file a report with the Texas Board of Insurance.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have a short term disability policy with Aflac which is completely worthless. I was told if I was out of work due to a disability, they would cover a large percentage of my missing income but when I filed a claim following a debilitating hip surgery, my claim was denied. When I called to cancel the policy, they put me on hold for 90min and transferred me to three different people. Don’t waste your time with Aflac, they should be put out of business.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Spent 2 hours plus on the phone just to try and cancel my policy! But it took them 2.5 seconds to snatch 80$ out of my account smh! To cancel my policy and for my refund I have to be on hold for hours! Smh JUST CANCEL MY POLICY PLEASE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have called in several times about my Aflac group policy employee # **, I have a claimed submitted for date of 5/3/18 when my son was born and I was paid out for only 1 day of hospital confinement and my son was born with jaundice and had to be circumcised therefore he was confined to the hospital for 3-4 days which my hospital documentation so I'm not understanding why I cannot get my claim paid out. This has been sent to escalations on 3 occasions and I still have not received anything and I am fed up at this point. I can be reached at ** to discuss this further.

Hello Harry,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Harry (4185152) October 17, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Aflac policyholders must provide their name & AT LEAST 2 of the following: Policy number, Claim number, Claim Check number, Date of Birth, or Name of your employer.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I started with the disability policy in September 2017. While signing up with my Aflac representative I informed her that I was taking out this policy for the maternity benefits. I informed her that we were actively trying to have a baby at the time, but that I was not currently pregnant. I asked her if I would be covered by the Aflac disability benefits if I were to become pregnant the following month of September, which would be when my policy would go into effect. She informed me that yes I would be covered. I ended up getting pregnant in September and carried on with my Aflac insurance.

When I was about 5 months pregnant I was looking through my benefit package and noticed that I would only be covered if my due date was ten months after beginning my policy. I called my Aflac representative to ask her about this. I informed her that I was pregnant and that my due date was May 25th. I told her that I had noticed that I was required to have a due date 10 months after the beginning of my policy and that I would not be 10 months out and that I was going to cancel my policy if I was not covered. She reassured me that I would still be covered.

After having my baby I entered a claim to my policy. My claim was denied. I informed Jamie that it was denied and she again reassured me that it should not have been denied and that she would figure out what was going on. She then had me enter an appeal for my claim. It was again denied for the same reason, I was not due 10 months after my policy began. I would never have gotten the short term disability insurance through your company had I not been reassured multiple times by my Aflac representative. I have called my rep and she will not call me back. She said that she put in to have my premium refunded and when I called Aflac they told me that she had called and requested but was told that she needed to send in a letter and that she had never followed through with sending a letter. I sent in my own letter.

I understand that I should have looked into the policy more, but when I signed up I was given no paperwork that I could read through, only her continuous reassurances that I would receive a payout kept me in this policy. I have requested a refund of my premium. It has been a month and a half since requesting. I have been told they would make a decision 10 days from their receiving my letter. Each person I talk to at Aflac has given me a different story. I am at my wits' end with this company and would never recommend them to anyone. Their customer service is a joke. They will not give me any information over the phone and just keep saying that they will send me a letter in the mail. I receive the letters around 15 days after the conversations and they are generic letters that give me zero answers. Too bad I could not leave this company with a zero star review.

Hello Keely,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Keely (4185137) October 17, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

On July 25, 2018, I went to ED for numbness in my foot, couldn't urinate, and severe lower back pain. Had surgery that night, removed 2/3's of my L4/L5 disc. Was off 5 weeks, and was not paid the first 14 days. I have signed releases and have sent numerous documents Aflac has asked for, but I still get the runaround. My surgeon even wrote me a note stating how it happened like they asked. I send documents in, and they ask for more. This is the crappiest insurance I have ever dealt with. I'm the breadwinner of a family 5. I wouldn't recommend this insurance to a dead animal.

Hello Daniel,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Daniel (4182914) October 17, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Spoke to Krista Oct 2017. Asked if false heart attack was covered. Emergency room, etc. claim was denied. After 3 emails covering 30 days with no acknowledgment of claim by mail or phone I was forced to send certificated mail to confirm receipt. Very disappointed what I told was covered – wasn’t. I am cancelling policy.

Hello John,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: John (4170356) October 16, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

In 2017 my husband and I decided to try and get pregnant. The law firm I work for connected me with a local AFLAC representative, and I signed up for a short term disability. I was assured that as long as I became pregnant after January 1, 2018, which was when the policy started, I would be covered. That was stated to me in an email from the representative, and I do have that email. I became pregnant in early January. I just had my baby via c-section. My husband is in the Navy on active duty, and because of a kink in their payroll system he will not be getting paid until mid-November. He will receive back pay, but in the meantime neither of us are getting paid. I am home alone with the baby and two older children. AFLAC denied my claim for no discernible reason. I am heartbroken.

Updated on 10/16/2018: My local AFLAC representative, who is great, reviewed my claim decision and was able to find out that my maternity leave was deemed not covered because Aflac’s corporate office said that I had not been on the policy for 10 months. My local representative informed me that that is their error - some states require 10 months but my particular policy in my state requires that I conceived after the first of the year, which I did. My review of the policy show the same thing... January 1. That is the information I relied on when deciding when to get pregnant.

My local rep began an appeal of my claim decision, but in the meantime I am not getting paid. The appeal can take up to 60 days. My husband is on active duty in the Navy, and a payroll snag while he recently transitioned roles means he won’t get paid until mid November or early December. I am home alone with three children, including a new baby, four weeks post c-section with no income. Thanks, AFLAC.

Hello Misty,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Misty (4169621) October 13, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I purchased a policy Thru work 2017. April 2018 stubbed left toe, waited until July and had checked for continued pain. Also pain in right foot. Left toe broken in 2 places with no signs of healing, right fractured 4th metatarsal. Long story short, post-surgery checkup stopped at forms office and got all Dr's surgery notes and had I waited just a few days could have had billing right there. It's helpful to know what you need for sure but I actually have agent who comes to my house and picks up papers and handles everything. You can also register online and have direct deposit for Aflac checks to go straight to bank. Always talk to agent, they should be willing to help.

Hello Mary,

I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac Worldwide Headquarters employee to help. Thank you so much for sharing your Aflac experience!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Husband was admitted to a hospital for 3 days before being transported to another hospital after performing an angiogram for an additional 12 days for a quadruple bypass. He has been paying for his policy since 2014. We have only used it this one time due to him being out of work and no income. I filled out a claim form, included discharge paperwork for only one hospital confinement since the policy only covers one stay every 90 days (which I understand), and a copy of the angiogram report to keep things simple.

That is not enough! They need an itemized bill for his stay! That statement takes weeks to get. So while he is out of work, no income as his work does not have short term disability, we have to wait for the itemized statement and then wait for his claim to be processed. I am completely disappointed in AFLAC. We pay for it to be there when we need it, not to jump through hoops or wait weeks to process a claim. Discharge paperwork, and executed HIPAA authorization, and an operative report should be sufficient. All he did was pay a company so we can worry longer about how we are to cover the income he is not receiving.

Hello Roxane,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Roxane (4158224) October 10, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I fell through a tin roof and lacerated my Achilles heel/tendon. The insurance paid 50 instead of 200 because the doctor wrote 5 cm which is .1 of an inch less than 2 inches. The doctor didn't use a measuring tape. It's more than 2 inches long. Aflac didn't pay off for torn Achilles tendon because doc didn't specify multiple or single tear, but doctor did say tendon was lacerated. Then how about pay the lesser amount? Aflac didnt pay for crutches or boot, said they didn't see it on paperwork but it's common sense with the injury I had? Aflac doesn't understand doctors aren't thinking about their claims process and it feels Aflac tries to go cheap and split hairs to save a dollar. I'll probably cancel this insurance.

Hello Tim,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Tim (4154408) October 10, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have subscribed to Aflac Critical Care insurance for several years, and only filed my first claim in the past month. First, I was surprised to find out that they do not have a web portal for Group Critical Care to login in, and check the status of anything. Second, I called customer service and had them email the claim form to me, of which I filled out and included all requested documentation. A week later 'I called to check for a status' - what happened to you will receive your check the next day? I received no claim number via email, or phone, of which they had both. Third, I had not heard anything in a couple of weeks, only to call today and find out it was denied because they do not cover my particular type of skin cancer. So I asked for the documentation that says that, because it was not stated in any of my documentation. I wish I had checked Aflac's ratings before subscribing.

Hello Anita,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Anita (4153259) October 9, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I purchased my policy the end of November 2015. Sales man (I recorded) stated if credit card information was given to him before December 1st 2015 my policy would begin starting December. Premium in its entirety was taken out of my bank account but not until December 29th 2015. June 8th 2016 I received a kidney transplant due to kidney failure. Donor was anomalous and donated the kidney in May 2016. Now finally in September 2018 I received a denial letter from AFLAC notifying me my policy did not start until December 23rd 2015.

According to AFLAC my preexisting condition clause was 15 days short of being covered. I did not receive my policy in writing for four months. I did not know that the policy paid 20,000.00 for major operations until the hospital social worker informed me after my first preoperative doctor's appointment. I have been sending every piece of paper from 2010 to present. They never received the first year and a half Of sent paperwork. 2 years 10 month they have been taking my premiums on the last few days of the month. Now I am not qualified to receive insurance benefits. Save your money. Honor thy contract is not part of AFLAC's creed. Salesmen are outside contractors who receive commissions and do not know anything about the insurance coverages.

Hello Robert,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Robert (4152656) October 9, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

*Always read the fine print before signing.* I had make many phone calls and wrote many emails to get a thorough “Aflac definition” of what the “Accident Plan” meant. Apparently going to an emergency room having a “CT Scan” done that resulted in a emergency “surgical procedure,” and being an inpatient for two days doesn’t fall under any of the Accident Emergency Treatment Plan benefits. No one plans for an emergency surgery. As Aflac said “just because you go to the emergency room doesn’t mean those services fall under the accident plan. Because it wasn’t a result of something or someone causing it.” I thought having an emergency surgery was a perfect definition of an accident. Next time anyone signs up for Aflac, read the fine print Aflac has presented, and in each of those plans they offer you. This Fortune 500 and 60 billion dollar company hasn’t gotten this far by not swindling their customers.

Hello Jess,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Jess (4152578) October 9, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Made two phone calls to AFLAC C/S trying to cancel my Cancer Policy. Policy has been in effect since 1984. With each phone call once I was transferred to whomever, waited for over 1/2 hour. Hung up and sent two faxes to the Policyholder Services, no response as of 10/5/18, went to AFLAC site and sent message via contact email. Still no response. This has to be the worst C/S I have ever encountered with any company. Not even the courtesy of a reply. Very frustrating. At wit's end trying to get some answers.

Hello Yvonne,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Yvonne (4138112) October 5, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have been a loyal AFLAC policyholder since 2005. My short term disability policy was recently terminated because of missed payment. I completed the reinstatement paperwork and sent in premium payment as requested. My check was cashed within a few days. I called AFLAC three times to find out the status of my reinstatement. I learned yesterday after several weeks of trying to get an answer that my policy will not be reinstated because I have asthma and was recently off work for ten days. AFLAC did pay me for my days off.

I have had Asthma for many years and this had been disclosed to AFLAC. I believe that I have been unfairly targeted and that AFLAC used my missed payment as a reason to cancel my policy. I don't like the way I have been treated and there appears not to be a mechanism to appeal the process or to speak with someone higher than a customer representative. Very poor customer service. I have personally recruited family members and co-workers to join AFLAC at least 10 persons. I will be encouraging them to transfer their policies elsewhere.

Hello Pamela,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Pamela (4135214) October 4, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I fell out of the shower at home. Broke my index finger badly. I have sent in all info Aflac asked for including operative report. I was denied surgery benefit because they said it wasn't an ORIF. Um okay I had pins drilled thru my fingers and open reduction. I called my surgeon and spoke with the nurse who said I did indeed have an ORIF surgery not a CRIF. Anyway that was on Aug 09, 2018 and it's now Oct 4, 2018 and they are still reviewing my case over and over. No response. This is ridiculous. I am ready to cancel my policy with them.

Hello Linda,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: (4133612) October 4, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I filed my claim and all the supporting documents and never heard back then called the company and was told I was denied because I did not have an overnight stay. I stayed 5 days. A few days later I received a letter saying I was denied because policy did not cover surgery. I filed appeal and mailed it priority and have yet to receive an acknowledgment. I had always heard this was a good company but I have seen for myself what this company is about. I am out of work for 3 months.

Hello Shirley,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Shirley (4128038) October 3, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I injured myself and herniated 3 discs in my neck. I had to have surgery to replace one disc and fuse my neck together. I have sent in now 72 pages of medical records to AFLAC. I sent in exactly what is stated on my "ACCIDENT CLAIM FORM INSTRUCTIONS". I sent in my UB04, admission and discharge from the urgent care, emergency room, and hospital, surgical report, itemized bills, physical therapy receipts and notes, Xray, CT scan, and MRI results, referrals to specialists, and other documentation. This is not enough info. Even though this is everything that is stated on the form they mailed me with what they want. They are saying I need to prove this is from an accident. How else do you herniate 3 discs in your neck?

They said "I COULD NOT PROVE" it was from an accident. There is absolutely no way to get a claim approved with this company. Read the reviews from others and see this company will take your monthly payment every month on time but will give you nothing but trouble trying to file a claim. I have called now 14 times and have gotten nowhere with anyone. This is the absolute worst company to have to deal with. All the "call takers" don't actually answer a question, they just read what is scripted to say. Please if you read this, DO NOT SIGN ANY CONTRACT WITH AFLAC. You WILL regret it.

Hello Michael,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Michael (4126961) October 3, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I purchased an Aflac Cancer Policy in 2011 when a sales rep came to my workplace. The rep, Jackie, worked at the ledge by my desk and my coworkers and I were lined up awaiting our turn. There was no privacy whatsoever - which should have been the first red flag. So when it was my turn, she rushed through a summary of what my policy could 'do for me' and asked me personal medical questions - in front of all my co-workers. I use quotation marks around the words 'do for me' because this policy did nothing for me. I agreed to purchase the policy with an extra cost for 'first occurrence benefit rider' which, Jackie told me, would pay me money the first time I receive a cancer diagnosis. THAT WAS A LIE!!!

The policy is called 'Cancer/Specified Disease Policy'. DO NOT BE FOOLED THAT IT IS A CANCER POLICY! I received a cancer diagnosis in September 2017. I contacted Aflac to ask how I go about the process of receiving monetary benefits and receiving the 'first occurrence benefit' rider payment that I paid extra for. I was told that I could not receive the 'first occurrence benefit' because 'that's only for heart attack, renal failure or stroke and not for CANCER'!! I was lied to when Jackie told me this benefit was for the first diagnosis of cancer.

So now let's think about what Aflac does to get people to sign up. Put them in an office space with no privacy, talk really fast and then get them to sign up before they can ask any questions in front of others. That way the suckers, oh I mean, co-workers can think they're getting a cancer policy but really they're just getting a heart attack, renal failure or stroke policy. I paid thousands of dollars for a policy that did not pay me the benefits that I was told I would receive. They did pay me for the surgical procedure that I had done but that was it - not a dime more. I wanted to share my story so that others don't fall into the trap that I did by a company that should be ashamed of how they do business.

BE WARNED - AFLAC IS A SCAM! I have since cancelled my cancer policy - Aflac will no longer be padding their bank account with my money anymore. I wish I didn't even have to give it any star at all. Please, please be very careful and shop around. Hopefully there are other companies out there who do not scam potential clients like Aflac does. Shame on you Aflac!

Hello Bev,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Bev (4125932) October 2, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I had carpal tunnel surgery and I was told I could file it on my insurance. I have accident and cancer insurance. This did not happen at work. I was hurt at home. I've looked up numerous times to see if they pay for it and it says they do pay it. Outpatient surgery which I had. Anesthesia which I had. They have denied me twice. I'm going to take away this policy because it's a bullcrap policy. Plus the customer service is crappy as well. The attitude is too much.

Hello Chelsea,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Chelsea (4123469) October 2, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have never had such poor customer service in all my life! I have a very complicated situation in that I was admitted to the hospital and had brain surgery in June, misdiagnosed with lymphoma and then finally correctly diagnosed with uterine cancer in July. I called AFLAC to explain my situation as it was quite complicated and the rep advised me to write up a summary of the events and include it with an authorization form so that they could take care of getting the documents. This rep's name was Bree and she was the only person who has been helpful. Even though I was only several weeks post brain surgery I did that and sent it all in. Got an email from them saying they got it.

Imagine my surprise when towards the end of August I get the exact same form requesting the exact same info. I promptly called customer service and was told I would receive a callback from a rep in 2 hours??? What? I got the callback and the woman I talked to was rude and told me that I would just keep getting these requests until they got their info, there was no way to stop them, but she also couldn't tell me what they actually had received. That was beginning of September.

Friday I received a notice that the claim was closed! What? I have three policies! And have had additional surgery. I again called and was again told someone would call me back in 2 hours. This company is a sham. Absolutely ridiculous. And they advertise you get your money the next day! Totally false advertising. I will tell everyone I know not to do business with this company and go elsewhere. There are plenty of other places offering this insurance. So totally disappointed in this experience.

Hello Kathy,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Kathy (4121393) October 1, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I have had Aflac for 4 years and never had an issue getting a claim paid, I had an accident in August and had to have surgery and they paid those claims with no issue. Now I am filing my disability paperwork and they have denied my disability for the 5 weeks I was off work because they say it wasn't due to an accident. I hopped off a trailer and landed on even ground and broke my ankle in 3 places. How is that not an accident? They paid for the injury and surgery for the same accident. I am not happy about this. Why do I pay to have disability if I can't use it?

Hello Erica,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Erica (4120484) October 1, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I had, repeat HAD, Aflac for several years. We since cancelled both of our policies sick and accident due to the fact that all they do is request nonsense paperwork when they had all information I kept sending them. My neck surgery was in April 2018 and during recuperation I was constantly being asked for more paperwork in order to complete my claim. I continued to send documents after document, while I was in excruciating pain just going back and forth with faxes, scans, and emails. All Aflac did, was waste my time. I was trying so hard to recuperate. I was out of work for 3 solid months with zero income. In addition, they make it impossible to communicate with someone in person to speak to. It is a darn right shame they can continue to take people's money and still make false commercials about their claims. Both my husband and I have cancelled all 4 of our policies Never to repeat that again. Amazing that AFLAC could care less!

Hello Keith,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Keith (4106807) September 27, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I’ve been waiting for my claim to be processed. Going on 6 weeks now. Aflac continues to pepper my doc office with the same paperwork requests at least 3 separate times. They're looking for a pre-existing condition that doesn’t exist for the past year. Because the dates my physician don’t disqualify my claim, now we’re wasting more time looking for medical records. This is all well and fine because they’re going to find nothing as I haven’t been treated for neuropathy ever!

Aflac requested my medical records on 9/25/18. They denied my claim on 9/26/18 claiming they haven’t received the proper documentation (medical records) timely enough. What??? Medical records take a few days to process. Why on earth would my claim be denied the day after the records request? This is bull!! I’ve never dealt with such inept individuals in my life! Take your money, then don’t deliver on the policy! I had always believed in the Aflac brand, however once this mess is cleaned up, I’ll take my money elsewhere!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have been lied to over and over giving different dates. Was told today at 8:08 it was in last stage then call back. Was told it not even been looked at then she says, "I'll expedite it," and that's another 4 days. This place is a joke. I have malignant ovarian cancer. I have critical care.

Hello Sherry,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Sherry (4105496) September 27, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I enrolled thru my workplace. I had left my job with them and continue to pay the premiums. I had spinal stenosis with cervical disc disorder. I needed to have neck surgery as the nerve pain was causing much discomfort. I fill out the paperwork as in their policy and how they come across that they will pay for being unemployed in which I couldn't work with my arm as it was swollen with nerve pain radiating down to my palms. I was denied their reason for them denying me was that I could not show documentation to support being unable to perform two or more ADL. Also my surgeon put ambulatory, really! I had visiting nurses come to my home. When I see their commercials I see that they are misleading. I wish I would have looked at all the reviews first before paying for this policy for over a year.

Hello Kathy,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Kathy (4105097) October 8, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I got hurt at work on 9/4/18. I sought medical attention from my employer’s RN immediately. I fractured my ankle at work and my foot immediately swelled up. I had to wait to get an orthopedic appointment and with Rosh Hashanah had to wait a week. I didn’t go to urgent care because my experience with urgent care hasn’t been great. I didn’t go to ER because I don’t want to get XYZ doctor on call. My daughter got hurt went to ER and she got an inexperienced orthopedic. This is my leg and I need it to walk. Aflac rejected my claim bc they said it wasn’t within the 72 hours. I have documentation stating that I was seen by an RN stat. I’m so upset. I’m a single mom with 4 kids and they rejected a legitimate claim.

I should just cancel Aflac and take the premium money and put in a savings account every month. I sent in documentation twice and got rejected twice with their stupid excuse it wasn’t within a 72 hour time frame. I got medical attention immediately and was signed off by an RN, isn’t that considered medical attention? Also, I had to get documentation from my work and it took a week to do so. I’m so sorry I got Aflac because their ads aren’t true and I’m sitting home with a fractured ankle and out of work. Thanks Aflac for helping.

Updated 10/03/2018: Via email they answered all concerned my complaint and was told harshly my claim was denied. Put your premium money in a savings money??? Account and not them because they are useless. I was fooled by their representative Phyllis to respond and harshly sent a denial email. Their customer service is poor. They say the same things, leave you on hold for over an hour and then send you an email stating to resend your claim when you downloaded the same info over and over. Don’t waste your time. Also when you sign up the agent promises you the world and when I contacted the agent she was indifferent and didn’t even tell me to feel better and just gave general lukewarm answers for me to get help. I felt she could have helped me. She was only there to sign up a policy.

Hello Rose,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following 8 the subject line of your email: Rose (4090739) September 24, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post and explain your concerns.

Aflac expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.

• Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.

• Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.

• Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.

• Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky