1.58/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Aflac

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

457 Aflac Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

So I've always had migraines. But they got really bad in October 2016 due to my mother in law being on her deathbed. October I went to the ER who referred me to a pain management doctor who I've been seeing since November 2016 who has been injecting nerve blocks in my neck to prevent the migraines due to a bulging disc that is in my neck discovered from a MRI that was taken of my neck. I was only getting temporary relief (one day) from the nerve block. So I read about the daith piercing and went and got it after that my migraines were relieved. Hadn't had a migraine since February. Went to my eye doctor 8/16 who discovered that I have pseudotumor cerebri and papilledema. I told my pain management doctor and he referred me to a Neurologist who I started seeing 9/19. He sent me in to get a Lumbar puncture on 9/20 & my neck, shoulder and head pain is back who's is to be expected from a LP procedure.

I've been in the ER 9/21, 9/24 And 9/26 I've have a MRI along with another Lumbar puncture performed on 10/10 and MRV performed on 9/28. Because I submitted info from my pain management doctor I got denied for my claim. Being that I was never dx by my pain management doctor for the condition I'm filing my claim for should I not get paid? The pseudotumor cerebri and lumbar puncture is the outcome of my head shoulder and neck issues. The bulging disc is also causing the same issues but there is a difference in the pain from the 2. The pain is more severe and cannot be treated with injections with the lumbar puncture and pseudotumor because there is pressure on the brain. I'm a little upset with Aflac right now. Due to these Lumbar punctures/ pseudotumor I have been out of work as of 9/20 until now. I've always been able to work with the bulging disc pain. Is that right of them to deny me?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I've been paying them for 10 years before submitting a claim. I tried submitting a claim online but got stuck in the middle because of an application bug and there was no way to continue; Faxed my claims - got no response. Sent a message to Customer Service online - no record of it at all and of course no response.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

So I filed a claim for my 4 day hospital stay and submitted documentation that clearly has all the information needed to process my claim, however when I call to check on my claim I am told to give them 14 days as they need additional info. The Aflac rep would not tell me what's needed so that I could get the required documentation or further paperwork needed.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I don't know where to start. I will never get coverage with this company again and would recommend others not to either. After all the run around I went through and with this company no one wanted to help me. The sales rep from their company told me false information so that she can get me to sign up with them. I signed up with them and they didn't approve my claim. After I had already discussed with my rep my plans and that's why I wanted to sign up.

Basically I was trying to get pregnant and I told my rep will I be covered and she said yes. She did not mention any time period I had to be covered for in order for them to approve me. So basically they kept my money and didn't help me at all. If I would have known any of this I would have never signed up. I would not recommend this company to anyone. No one there knows what they're talking about and don't want to help you at all. I am now stuck at home with no pay for maternity leave and I paid them monthly for no reason.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I had a heart bypass on 12-2016 and filed to claim for insurance benefits. They gave me a runaround for 3 months each time I had to send in a different form. They do not just take your doctor's and your word for it that you cannot work. I had to have my wife send in the forms being I was not thinking clearly and could not move around. AFLAC DOES NOT HAVE AN EMAIL THAT YOU CAN SEND THE FORMS TO. YOU MUST FAX THEM, AND THEY USUALLY ALWAYS CLAIM THEY DID NOT RECEIVE THEM. AFLAC YOU ARE SICK!!! While you are out sick you must keep up your policy to continue getting paid. If you get paid at all. I had to get the local rep involved to even start getting paid. If you are an individual and do not have it thru where you work.

I doubt that you would get paid at all. I paid each month using my credit card until my benefits ran out which was my benefits minus about $800 dollars or more that I had to keep up the insurance policy to get paid. After my benefits ran out and I was told by Aflac that I would no longer be able to collect any more benefits ever for the same sickness. I stopped paying with my credit card. Good Old Aflac charge my credit card again without my permission and said I gave them permission to auto charge my card. Which was a flat out lie. If I have no job and not money why would I give someone permission to charge my card I cannot pay. They refuse to give me my money back. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I've had Aflac since 2023. I have 3 children and of course they get sick and are in and out of the ER/Hospital/Doctors office and Aflac is absolutely awesome. I see a lot of bad complaints like someone said here before. Make sure to fill out forms correctly and read your policy on as many times so that you have a good understanding of it. This year I myself had to use it due to a accident with my knee and not being able to work they definitely paid me for what was my part and being off from work help me while I was home and not being paid by my employer. Like I said make sure to read the black lines and understand your policy. There are waiting periods and so on. Thanks to Aflac and if there's anything they don't pay for or miss out I just have to call them and they are super helpful and quick.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This is early and this is still on going but I would like to share our experience thus far. My husband has AFLAC STD and has been paying $62.50 monthly for over 5 years. We tried to file claims several times in the past few years and were told, that's not covered, etc. This time it was an accident and definitely should be covered. Let's just say we are 3 weeks in and still have no claim and no one there seems to have a clue what they're doing and just pass the responsibility back and forth amongst them. So very disappointed to say the least. I venture to say we will be cancelling this benefit once my husband returns to work.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

After paying Aflac thru work 100's after 100's of dollars for Accident and short term disability. It wasn't worth the paper it was written on. After being off work 5 weeks due to surgery I received a letter saying they will not pay benefits. Their word, please don't ever sign up for AFLAC. Save your money yourself and don't trust Steve **, he will tell you anything you want to hear to sell you a policy, 50 dollars every 2 weeks flushed down the toilet due to them telling you anything to sell you a policy.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Upon submitting hospital claim I was in the hospital from May 27 then admitted through the emergency room. Had a heart cath on May 30. I spent 4 nights in the hospital. Aflac needs to pay me for one is my status on my ub04 form says I was on the observation for 3 days. I am so sick of companies trying to get out of their responsibilities. Aflac to step up and pay up.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

My husband has Aflac accident disability insurance thru his employer. In the year 2000 my husband had a motorcycle accident. He was off work for a whole year. I do not know what we would have done without Aflac. They paid tons of medical bills and wages for the year. Yes, the forms have to be filled out correctly. If they denied anything I always called to find out what I needed to do to make it right. I too, would call to find out if they received the claims. I did need to stay on top of it. My husband ended up having his leg amputated. In the last few years he had a couple operations on his leg and they still pay for those medical bills. They will pay for any surgeries or complications regarding his amputated leg, but I always have to put the date of accident for the year 2000 for any claims pertaining to his leg. We have had pretty good luck with Aflac paying. Be sure to read your policy carefully as there are procedures that are denied because they are excluded.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I am absolutely furious with Aflac. I have been paying for two years through my employer for additional short term disability and the one time I used it after being out for breast reduction surgery, only received $200. That's after calling for 3 weeks after my surgery asking for an update because nothing showed online. I was informed "the plan you selected requires a 14 day elimination period," which at the time when I signed up for the plan... I was informed the only waiting period was 10 months before I could file for STD assistance not after doing so. Long story short, I've dished out thousands to this company only to receive $200. I am canceling my subscription as soon as I return to work. I received more from my place of employment that IS A FREE BENEFIT at 50% of my salary than that crap Aflac is giving.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I purchased the policy in October 2016. I saw a doc October 28 2016 for back pain. I got a couple ** thought I was good. March 28th I can't get out of bed. Turns out I had a spinal fusion in May 2017. Payments made timely always. Diagnosis in October 2016 "back pain". Diagnosis day if surgery spinal stenosis with spondylitis. 2 different diagnosis. Took 2 months for them to process my claim "DENIED." This is after numerous contacts with their reps. No lie over 20 at least. Don't purchase this insurance. They only steal your money. When you need them they turn their back on you. Shame on you Aflac!

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have had the Cancer/Short term disability policy for several years and had to use them both when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in July 2015. I was very shocked when reading most of the reviews, because I have had a very good experience with them regarding both policies. All claims were paid very quickly and without any hassles. If I had not had these policies, I can't even imagine what hard times I would have faced. As long as I live, I will never cancel these policies.

Original review: July 19, 2017

They really make you jump through hoops to get a claim paid. They won't accept an insurance company's explanation of benefits, for follow up visits from a previous accident claim. I have two physical therapy follow up visits from an accident just a few months back and am only trying to get them paid at $35.00 for each visit. They want to see the actual medical record - there has to be an easier way to do this. Now I have to request the medical record for each of those visits from the provider, which means I have to contact the provider, fill out a release form and then wait for the copies and then send them to Aflac - I think they hope that you won't bother. They are also really rude on the phone and very impersonal. They have an attitude in which they act like they are doing you a favor. I just hate dealing with them!

Original review: July 18, 2017

I have had a policy with Aflac since 1988. I used my policy for the first time in 2015. I had breast cancer. Everything noted in my policy was paid promptly. I could not have asked for better service. I hope that more people with positive reviews will write in.

Original review: July 1, 2017

A good friend of mine was approached by Aflac representatives at work about purchasing supplemental disability coverage. My friend listened to them, and told them she is a cancer survivor but now thankfully cancer-free. She asked if this would disqualify her, and was told no. She was still eligible to be covered. She bought a policy and was paying on it as required when she had a routine check up and her cancer was found to have returned.

She had to have very expensive treatments and a surgery. When she contacted Aflac, they denied her coverage because they said she had "a pre-existing condition". She had SPECIFICALLY told them about her past cancer, and was told that would not prevent coverage. They also continued to charge her for coverage despite not covering her. (I know she was able to get two payments back, but that was it.). This is shameful, immoral, and I suspect, illegal.

She is going through a lot right now, and probably doesn't have the time or energy to try and contest the decision, much less to get ALL of her payments refunded. Aflac and its representatives in Austin, Tx need to do the right thing, and give her the money she is owed so that she can pay her hospital bills. Stealing money from the sick is not a business plan.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I have 5 policies with Aflac and have since 2013 - in the last 4 years I have only filed 2 Short term disability claims and they have both been a nightmare. First one took 6 weeks to finally pay out after several escalations. Most recently I became disabled with a condition that requires me to be bed written. For 7 wks AFLAC denied my claim 4x's. On the 5th they are upholding their decision with no further appeals. I have requested for a supervisor review with no contact. My claim needs to be paid since I meet all the conditions within my policy guidelines. This is ridiculous... I've been treated very poorly and will file a small claim with my county. With the help of my Dr. we have provided all the necessary documentation required and because my Dr's records don't match the exact verbiage within my claim it was denied. I am disabled, bedridden and have now developed anxiety and high level of stress due to Aflac.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I paying $80 monthly for two years. Accident and Short-term disability. I had work related injury and out for medical leaves. I requested a claim for these two insurance and they told me my condition haven't the minimum requirements to claim. Please don't give your money to this thieves people.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I've have had AFLAC for 5 years. 5 years of paying premiums. Never filed a claim up until the beginning of this month. I have yet to have my claim processed. My elimination period has come and gone and my claim is still being processed according to their website. This was supposed to cover my bills while on leave, reasons why I have a policy. How is it supposed to help if it’s not here when it’s needed. I got a letter yesterday saying they needed tax info for my premium before it could be processed, whether I pay before or after taxes. You should have that info on file?? It's all on my form when I signed up that your agent gave me. My claim was handled by my agent who claims he's done this over 30 years. You would think he would know all the info that is needed to not delay claims.

I called about my letter I received from AFLAC and have not received any response. Pretty crummy of AFLAC to let people go without paying bills because when it's needed they don't want to pay up. My electric bill was due today and I couldn't pay because I was relying on AFLAC. That was a big mistake. Definitely canceling after this year plan is up. Not worth the hassle. I could have just put my premium payment in a savings account over the years and I'd have all the money I need while on my leave and not have my credit ruined. Definitely know how to sell their product but can't deliver. So done with this company.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Aflac is not in the business of giving you your hard earned money back in claims. I had knee surgery in 2015, they denied it because I returned to work one day too early (Because I need the money from my job). March 2017 I had total hip replacement and was off for six weeks. They sent me $833.00. I asked them if this was just a partial payment? I have lots of bills stacking up. They said that was all they could do. Their advertising is totally a lie. They do not help you with your bills. I was told we could claim for Dr office visits. I sent in claim forms. They too were denied. After paying them every week from my payroll for over 15 years I am done with them. DON'T WASTE ANOTHER PENNY WITH THEM.

Original review: June 15, 2017

After paying Aflac (Aflac Accidental insurance) $400 a year for over 7 years, I needed to file a claim this past April. After my ER visit, my remaining balance was $995.00. AFLAC paid $295 total! This company is misleading. I'm cancelling this plan and am letting my co-workers and friends know NOT to waste their money!

Original review: June 8, 2017

My husband has paid these scammers faithfully. Now that he's been off work for weeks, we are in financial free fall. We keep getting told, "The check's in the mail." What a bunch of crooks. All they want is as much of your money as they can get. Do yourself a favor and save your money instead of making these slobs richer.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I had 2 policies with AFLAC - hospitalization and short-term disability. I was diagnosed with cancer and had to have a major surgery. AFLAC paid the hospitalization but refused to pay the disability. They stated it was a pre-existing condition. I have never had cancer in my life! I appealed this and was still denied. I would not let this rest! I took them to small claims court in my local county and actually won the case!!! They paid the settlement within one week and I canceled my policies. I recommend for those who have trouble getting their money to file a case in small claims court. It is fairly easy and worth the time! No lawyer needed!

Original review: June 7, 2017

This company is horrible. The customer service agents are rude at best. The one day pay is a scam. If you speak to a supervisor and they tell you they'll call you back they won't! I had a claim after hurting my knee and after two three-hour calls and two 1 hour calls I still haven't received my claim. They ask for documentation they don't understand. I had them three way in a call with medical records for them to explain the form but without authorization Cynthia short the manager who was on the phone with me and medical records decided to go ahead and disconnect me to speak to medical record without my authorization illegal. Called back in and got finally after another hour long call transferred to a supervisor who decided it was a good idea to disconnect the call sending me to the survey. So now I'm on hold yet again trying to get my claim approved and the survey was not a good one.

Original review: June 5, 2017

I called an agent to start a dental policy. She took down all of my info. Told me my insurance would be active in 9 days. 2 weeks later, nothing! I called her and she couldn't find my policy. She had to start a new one. 2 weeks later, nothing! I emailed her and she never answered me. I called her supervisor and he said he would find out what was happening. A month later I get a letter saying that my policy was denied because I have duplicate policies. I called. They said my policy is under review because they started a new one. 2 mos. later and still nothing. The customer service is horrible! You are left on hold and when you finally talk to someone, they are clueless! I'm so ticked over all of this!

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have filed twice with Aflac. The first was with a knee surgery that I had. It took 5 months to get paid and of course the payment was way less than it should be. The surgeon's office faced information 11 times costing me $10 each time. I fought every day and it took endless hours to get paid. I had surgery on my right hand and elbow and filed a claim. They denied payment for both accidental and short term. I contacted the agent and she made up things that weren't in the policy for the denial. For the accidental it was denied because I didn't receive treatment within 72 hours after the accident, no it was 48 hours I had treatment. When I had my surgery short term should've kicked in after 15 days. It was denied because elimination period is 30 days.

I contacted my rep. and she says it is standard. I am going to fight but not with AFLAC. I am writing BBB, Department of Consumer Affairs, Attorney General and the Insurance Commissioner. I can't believe this insurance company hasn't been sued in a class action lawsuit with these reviews all saying the same thing. I suppose they deny everyone with the hopes that they just give up and no payment is made. This is a horrific company with preposterous excuses to reject faithfully paying customers.

Original review: May 23, 2017

My husband got Aflac accidental insurance through his job! He has been paying from his paycheck every week! He got hurt on the job almost a month ago! With NO INCOME! Joseph ** is his rep! He has called him NUMEROUS times, and left lots of voice mails for him! STILL WITH NO RETURN CALL! Been 22 days now of trying to get ahold of him! The 800 number has been no help either! Why is my husband paying for this, and then can not use it?!? My husband has no income, and has not received a dime from Aflac. I am furious that nobody will try and help my husband. Joseph ** was quick to sell to my husband, and take his money every week, BUT WON'T HELP HIM GET THE SERVICES HE HAS PAID FOR!!! We do not know what else to do! :(

Original review: May 22, 2017

If you want to collect the money agreed upon in your contract, get ready for a fight. We have had a very bad experience trying to collect from Aflac. The customer service, as well as our rep, has been less than helpful. We decided to sign up for Aflac because my mother in law had very hard pregnancies. My wife makes the majority of the money in our household, so we thought it was a good idea to buy supplementary insurance in case that she had pre-delivery complications (or any other complication preventing her from working) and had to be put on bed rest. We even decided to pay more money each month, also adding a 2 week waiting period for benefits to our account, to make our policy a 6 month disability instead of the standard 3 months. Unfortunately, my wife had some complications around 24 weeks. She was unable to work for 2 weeks leading up to the delivery of a still born baby.

We have now been trying to collect short term disability from Aflac for over two months (they paid us 2 weeks for the 6 weeks my wife was unable to work). They have told us they don't cover "pre-delivery complications", even though we have paid more each month and agreed to a 2 week waiting period... so basically we were left on our own for 4 weeks. We have called our rep, as well as Aflac, over 20 times trying to collect short term disability for the time my wife was unable to work due to pre-delivery complications. The product that Aflac offers is great in theory, but their customer service is very poor. If you want to sign up with Aflac, be very careful about the products you purchase and make sure you have everything your rep tells you in writing. Don't listen to the "one day pay".

Original review: May 16, 2017

Both times I've decided to file a claim on my accident policy it took months and hours of my time to get this resolved. After my first go round, I decided not to file 2 claims that I was eligible for. This last time, I thought I'd give it a try again and, even after getting my agent and the district claims rep involved, it STILL is not paid out (4 months and counting). After being reassured that all the documentation is in, I got yet another letter yesterday saying it needs more documentation or the claim will be closed. I am the HR person at my company and I have another company that will be getting our business when our policies are up for renewal next month.

Original review: May 10, 2017

Had policy since 2015, paying faithfully every month. Dislocated my shoulder in August of 2015 - went to, which was paid fine, along with going to specialist for months until he was comfortable with my progress. I would need surgery, but it wasn't an emergency, but recommended within the next year. I am a mother of four and have a full time job. After summer and school settled in, I was ready for my surgery in October 2016. After months of rehab and doctor appointments, I was given the clean bill of health in February 2017. I submitted all of my documents as well as a couple other claims for my children. My kids' claims and my physical therapy was paid, but not my surgery or MRI. Called my agent and she didn't get them, so I sent them again. Waited and waited.... Called two weeks later, still nothing. Finally sent them again and I had a claim put in the system. Once processed, it was $210.00.

Calling my agent trying to get more answers, with no luck on a call back or e-mail. I finally had my husband call and leave voicemail which was returned and said that I had to do my surgery within 1 year of incident. TWO months past, so it would be a good time for me to have surgery. Not like I waited another year past the deadline. I work insurance and have been in customer service for YEARS and never have dealt with a customer the way I was treated. Never bite the hand that feeds you. This agent not only lost a valued customer, but potential ones because I will spread the word that Aflac is a joke when their agents don't even have the customer's back.

Aflac expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.
    • Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.
    • Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.
    • Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.
    • Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.
    • Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.
    Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky