Aflac

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

marlene of Brawley, CA on

After paying Aflac (Aflac Accidental insurance) $400 a year for over 7 years, I needed to file a claim this past April. After my ER visit, my remaining balance was $995.00. AFLAC paid $295 total! This company is misleading. I'm cancelling this plan and am letting my co-workers and friends know NOT to waste their money!

Kathleen of Buchanan, MI on

My husband has paid these scammers faithfully. Now that he's been off work for weeks, we are in financial free fall. We keep getting told, "The check's in the mail." What a bunch of crooks. All they want is as much of your money as they can get. Do yourself a favor and save your money instead of making these slobs richer.

Ellen of Cincinnati, OH on

I had 2 policies with AFLAC - hospitalization and short-term disability. I was diagnosed with cancer and had to have a major surgery. AFLAC paid the hospitalization but refused to pay the disability. They stated it was a pre-existing condition. I have never had cancer in my life! I appealed this and was still denied. I would not let this rest! I took them to small claims court in my local county and actually won the case!!! They paid the settlement within one week and I canceled my policies. I recommend for those who have trouble getting their money to file a case in small claims court. It is fairly easy and worth the time! No lawyer needed!

Savannah of Commerce City, CO on

This company is horrible. The customer service agents are rude at best. The one day pay is a scam. If you speak to a supervisor and they tell you they'll call you back they won't! I had a claim after hurting my knee and after two three-hour calls and two 1 hour calls I still haven't received my claim. They ask for documentation they don't understand. I had them three way in a call with medical records for them to explain the form but without authorization Cynthia short the manager who was on the phone with me and medical records decided to go ahead and disconnect me to speak to medical record without my authorization illegal. Called back in and got finally after another hour long call transferred to a supervisor who decided it was a good idea to disconnect the call sending me to the survey. So now I'm on hold yet again trying to get my claim approved and the survey was not a good one.

Penney of Binghamton, NY on

I called an agent to start a dental policy. She took down all of my info. Told me my insurance would be active in 9 days. 2 weeks later, nothing! I called her and she couldn't find my policy. She had to start a new one. 2 weeks later, nothing! I emailed her and she never answered me. I called her supervisor and he said he would find out what was happening. A month later I get a letter saying that my policy was denied because I have duplicate policies. I called. They said my policy is under review because they started a new one. 2 mos. later and still nothing. The customer service is horrible! You are left on hold and when you finally talk to someone, they are clueless! I'm so ticked over all of this!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Kelley of Appomattox, VA on

I have filed twice with Aflac. The first was with a knee surgery that I had. It took 5 months to get paid and of course the payment was way less than it should be. The surgeon's office faced information 11 times costing me $10 each time. I fought every day and it took endless hours to get paid. I had surgery on my right hand and elbow and filed a claim. They denied payment for both accidental and short term. I contacted the agent and she made up things that weren't in the policy for the denial. For the accidental it was denied because I didn't receive treatment within 72 hours after the accident, no it was 48 hours I had treatment. When I had my surgery short term should've kicked in after 15 days. It was denied because elimination period is 30 days.

I contacted my rep. and she says it is standard. I am going to fight but not with AFLAC. I am writing BBB, Department of Consumer Affairs, Attorney General and the Insurance Commissioner. I can't believe this insurance company hasn't been sued in a class action lawsuit with these reviews all saying the same thing. I suppose they deny everyone with the hopes that they just give up and no payment is made. This is a horrific company with preposterous excuses to reject faithfully paying customers.

Aubrey of Memphis, TN on

My husband got Aflac accidental insurance through his job! He has been paying from his paycheck every week! He got hurt on the job almost a month ago! With NO INCOME! Joseph ** is his rep! He has called him NUMEROUS times, and left lots of voice mails for him! STILL WITH NO RETURN CALL! Been 22 days now of trying to get ahold of him! The 800 number has been no help either! Why is my husband paying for this, and then can not use it?!? My husband has no income, and has not received a dime from Aflac. I am furious that nobody will try and help my husband. Joseph ** was quick to sell to my husband, and take his money every week, BUT WON'T HELP HIM GET THE SERVICES HE HAS PAID FOR!!! We do not know what else to do! :(

Todd of Centerville, UT on

If you want to collect the money agreed upon in your contract, get ready for a fight. We have had a very bad experience trying to collect from Aflac. The customer service, as well as our rep, has been less than helpful. We decided to sign up for Aflac because my mother in law had very hard pregnancies. My wife makes the majority of the money in our household, so we thought it was a good idea to buy supplementary insurance in case that she had pre-delivery complications (or any other complication preventing her from working) and had to be put on bed rest. We even decided to pay more money each month, also adding a 2 week waiting period for benefits to our account, to make our policy a 6 month disability instead of the standard 3 months. Unfortunately, my wife had some complications around 24 weeks. She was unable to work for 2 weeks leading up to the delivery of a still born baby.

We have now been trying to collect short term disability from Aflac for over two months (they paid us 2 weeks for the 6 weeks my wife was unable to work). They have told us they don't cover "pre-delivery complications", even though we have paid more each month and agreed to a 2 week waiting period... so basically we were left on our own for 4 weeks. We have called our rep, as well as Aflac, over 20 times trying to collect short term disability for the time my wife was unable to work due to pre-delivery complications. The product that Aflac offers is great in theory, but their customer service is very poor. If you want to sign up with Aflac, be very careful about the products you purchase and make sure you have everything your rep tells you in writing. Don't listen to the "one day pay".

Patti of Prior Lake, MN on

Both times I've decided to file a claim on my accident policy it took months and hours of my time to get this resolved. After my first go round, I decided not to file 2 claims that I was eligible for. This last time, I thought I'd give it a try again and, even after getting my agent and the district claims rep involved, it STILL is not paid out (4 months and counting). After being reassured that all the documentation is in, I got yet another letter yesterday saying it needs more documentation or the claim will be closed. I am the HR person at my company and I have another company that will be getting our business when our policies are up for renewal next month.

Patricia of Center, ND on

Had policy since 2015, paying faithfully every month. Dislocated my shoulder in August of 2015 - went to, which was paid fine, along with going to specialist for months until he was comfortable with my progress. I would need surgery, but it wasn't an emergency, but recommended within the next year. I am a mother of four and have a full time job. After summer and school settled in, I was ready for my surgery in October 2016. After months of rehab and doctor appointments, I was given the clean bill of health in February 2017. I submitted all of my documents as well as a couple other claims for my children. My kids' claims and my physical therapy was paid, but not my surgery or MRI. Called my agent and she didn't get them, so I sent them again. Waited and waited.... Called two weeks later, still nothing. Finally sent them again and I had a claim put in the system. Once processed, it was $210.00.

Calling my agent trying to get more answers, with no luck on a call back or e-mail. I finally had my husband call and leave voicemail which was returned and said that I had to do my surgery within 1 year of incident. TWO months past, so it would be a good time for me to have surgery. Not like I waited another year past the deadline. I work insurance and have been in customer service for YEARS and never have dealt with a customer the way I was treated. Never bite the hand that feeds you. This agent not only lost a valued customer, but potential ones because I will spread the word that Aflac is a joke when their agents don't even have the customer's back.

Paul of Gulfport, MS on

Ok, I've had Aflac since Oct 2016. I was told that everything was covered and not to worry. I understand about the 0-14 rule. I informed my agent that I was told that I needed to consult with a specialist in March of 2017, which the specialist told me that he had a opening for surgery on April 3. I contact my agent and got the required paperwork filled out by the doctor. After a week later he came to my home and informed me that he couldn't turn it in with it saying that I had this problem looked at back in 2009. He also informed me that it would be considered preexisting. We had this conversation before signing up for the policy and he assured me that this would not be a problem. He informed me to personally send it in to see what happens, but I feel like my agent should have took responsibility to see my claim through, so I'm very dissatisfied with the service.

Roger of West Newton, PA on

Had 2 ruptured brain aneurysm in '06, life flighted to Pgh PA, spent time in ICU, then transferred to a rehab hospital after 2 weeks in Presby Hospital ICU. Spent 5 weeks in rehab hospital. Had Aflac FOR 15+ years, they would not pay 1 penny because they said it was from birth. At 56 never had a problem & Aflac said it was from birth and would not pay anything!!!

Mike of Imperial, MO on

Let's see where do I start. I've had Aflac since 2014. Never used it. I recently had to have hernia surgery. Was told by doctor I was going to be off about a month. Called our rep. Was told by him, "No problem. Get me your paperwork and I'll help you out." Got my surgery on 4/11/17. Now this part I blame on the doctor. They didn't tell me they wanted a $20 fee to fill out my Aflac papers. Instead just didn't fill them out. So after a few days of not hearing from them I called and was informed of the fee and paid it because my mortgage was coming due and I needed my "peace of mind as they put it". So then I didn't get the papers until 4/21/17.

So back to Aflac. That day I tried to contact our acct. rep or let's keep it simple, the "salesman" that sold us our "peace of mind". Emailed him my completed papers. Never heard back. Texted him, nothing. Called him, no answer. Called his office, no answer. So by this time it's Monday 4/24/17. Still no answer. Called customer service. Was able to talk to a very helpful person I will admit. Emailed my papers to her. She forwarded them to the appropriate department. Wait wait wait. Mortgage company keeps calling me about my late payment. I keep telling them my situation which they don't want to hear. All they're interested in is when they are going to get their money. So by this time it's Wednesday 4/26. I called customer service and was told that there is a 5 business day period to wait until the paperwork is processed.

WOW!! So now I had to borrow $ from my father (which I've never had to do before) so I could make my mortgage payment before 4/29 so my credit wasn't impacted. So let's take a minute and review how my "peace of mind is going about now". It gets better... so Friday 4/28 I get a email about my claim. It was processed and paid. Great!!! NO! Now they are only paying me $600 which is well under what my monthly amount should be. So I called and asked why. They stated that they only paid me until the date of my next doctor's visit. Which it clearly states on my original physician's form that was turned in that my release date would be determined at my next appt.

So I had my visit on 4/25. The doctor released me back to work on Monday May 8, 2017. He even gave me a release form that is dated and signed. So I submitted that to Aflac. Now they won't pay me anymore until I have more of their forms filled out by the doctor that takes 7-14 days to fill out papers. Then another 5 days to process. Wow. This is the most bs I've been through in a long time. What is the point. The "peace of mind" is more like a big "pain in my **"! I am shopping around for more policies. And will be canceling my Aflac soon. They are horrible. There is no "Peace of mind" as the salesman clearly states. And as far as him I still haven't heard anything yet.

Jim of Queensbury, NY on

My wife has cancer and is on chemo. Pill which requires her to take chemo each day. She has been doing this for a year. The policy pays 150 a month when you take chemo this way. She is required to submit a letter from her doctor and a bill from the pharmacy. Some months they pay. Some they deny. Want more information doctor notes. They seem to think up some way to hassle folks with cancer. They are a sad disgrace. She will need this the rest of her life. We have to go thru the same hassle each and every month. Will be filing a complaint to the State Insurance Department.

Fred of Columbia, SC on

My sister as well as myself had Aflac until we found ourselves in an emergency. We both had them faithfully take our monthly payments for over a year but when we needed to use this insurance, they refused us both. My sister had a stroke and had to get a lawyer to force them to cooperate with the hospital. It's so shameful that they're still scamming people.

Richard of Wichita, KS on

For 13 years I have had the payment on this taken out of my paycheck. I was supposed to have minor surgery, but it turned into a major surgery which has required me to now go on disability. The H/R person at my company instructed me to fill out the necessary forms for my claim(s). I did this and was told that although the reason for my current disability, had nothing to do with the reason they denied my claim (which was due to I have cirrhosis of the liver which they claim is a self inflicted illness) and therefore would not cover my claim. I have looked over my policy and nowhere does it say that my company's policy did not cover the kidney condition that was caused due to a surgery. The Nephrologist even wrote a letter stating that and they still denied my claim. So I have basically paid for insurance the past 13 years that did no good for me when I really needed it.

Brooke of West Terre Haute, IN on

I have had Aflac since 2013, in what I thought all the policies I needed, per my "rep". I was told when signing on that ANY time going to emergency room for ANYTHING, my Accident or Critical Care policy would cover. Including x-rays, MRI, CT scan, blood work, surgery, etc... Well guess what? It DOES NOT!! I have been denied and have now been informed that there is a Hospital policy that I should buy. Are you kidding me? I have NEVER BEEN OFFERED A HOSPITAL PLAN YET KNEW IT EXISTED! Beyond frustrated, there has to be something that can be done about this! I've just had surgery. Thought I had the comfort of Aflac, but they have denied my claim for Acute Appendicitis. Not worth having!

Stacy of Suffolk, VA on

I've read comments by others, most all are negative, I'm shocked. I have to question if they purchased the right policies and if the waiting periods were satisfied. I fill out no paperwork, my agent does everything! I send her the reports, she selects the proper policy for submission and I have $ in my bank within 48 hours.

LaWanda of Saint Louis, MO on

My son fractured his pelvis in a track meet. I submitted the normal paperwork as I do every claim. I only got paid for emergency room and crutches. They didn't pay the fracture and claims it's under audit. Why? They give no answers. I'm believing they don't want to pay large sums. And since I complained, I was told all future claims would be under audit.

A. P. of Louisville, KY on

Group Hospital Indemnity is a joke. I recently ran across the reviews and thought to myself these are so horrible!!! I even procrastinated on filing my claim because I thought that I probably wouldn't get paid anyway, until I got the strength to call Aflac and spoke to a representative who told me to submit my claim forms with my hospital papers and it was just that simple. She even advised for me to fill out a direct deposit form so I could get paid quicker. So I did. She advised me to make sure the hospital charged me room and board or I wouldn't get paid. When I inquired with hospital regarding my daughter's stay, they advised that I would be charged room and board, etc. so I thought everything would be fine, until I got the itemized bill and it listed my stay as an observation private room.

I contacted the Aflac back to see if this would be a problem and she said yes. She said if observation is listed anywhere near room it could not be consider hospital admission w/ room board. I contacted my company's group insurance back to see why it was listed that way and she advised it was due to contractual agreement with my group insurance (which is provided through my employer); who also provides the option to enlist in the Aflac plan. She states that she could provide my observation hours (21 hours) and that may help. I contacted Aflac back and advised of the contractual agreement along with my observation hours and she advised claim would still be denied because in order to get the observation pay you have to be observed for 24 hours.

I was very upset to know that I paid $20 per paycheck twice a month for 24 months to be told that when I finally have a claim due to my daughter's asthma attack and missed a day at work, and stayed over night in the hospital that I couldn't use the accidental coverage insurance that I had been paying into. Thank God I actually terminated that position and won't have any of the ongoing payment issues I read about where they continue to pull from your check.

But to anyone who is reading these horrible, horrible claim rejections/denial incidents I warn you to take these people at their word. Simple put, they did not deserve the one star this site forces you to give them. Please beware!!! Aflac is a ripoff company that has no problem taking your money each pay period but when you need them, they are not there.

Just for the record, the hospital "observation" that was received by my daughter for "17 hours" (and no they don't count the hours you were serviced in the Emergency Room before the hospital had a room to board you in) including 1 hour breathing treatment every 2 hours, oxygen, and multiples medication injections that saved her life, we received life-saving treatment during this "observation."

Amanda of Houma, LA on

I purchased a hospital policy. My agent wasn't the one who sold it to me. The guy who sold me the policy at the time was informed that I was pregnant at the time. He said that it shouldn't matter that I was pregnant at the time. He told me this in front of a group of people. I was only 4 weeks along at the time. So when I did go into premature labor and delivered my daughter my claimed was denied. I understand that about the policy due to pregnancy. But what kind of agent would allow you to purchase something like that and do not inform you about the risk ahead of time. The other policies I wanted to purchase he told me about the risk on those but not the hospital policy. I will be canceling my plans ASAP!!! NOT SATISFIED.

Harper of West Hollywood, CA on

A few years back my company brought in an Aflac agent and I signed up for a cancer policy and a accident policy. I am so glad I did because I had gotten skin cancer about a year ago. I was a little confused on how to file a claim so I called the agent and she was very helpful. As soon as I got my claim processed I was paid a couple of days later. I'm reading these reviews on here and I'm just surprised because my experience has been mostly positive. After getting paid for my initial diagnosis I continued to place claims for a few of the treatments I had gotten and got paid pretty quickly for those. It's been about 5 months now and I'm cancer free. I'm glad I had the Aflac coverage. I make an hourly wage and once my sick time is up I don't get paid if I don't clock in. Having that money helped out a lot. It kept me from charging up my credit card or dipping into my savings account. Highly recommend this policy.

John of Richmond, MN on

I'd like to start off with hello. I'm so mad had Aflac for a little while and got diagnosed with cancer but after review they determined that since I have not had it for a full year yet they could not help. So idk what I'm going to do. Wouldn't even waste my time. Have a feeling even if I did have it for a year they would have another excuse lined up.

SANTOS of Rochester, NY on

These people suck. They take my money every week with no problem. Then I have a problem with stomach pains, was in hospital and I receive no help but they are still looking into it. My agent sucks. She told me that her hands are tied can do nothing to help me until they find my records from history, so basically this is not worth having. Will leave this Aflac group. They suck. They are hard to get hold of. My case manager always busy. They are here just to collect your money and find excuses not to help you. I want to hire a lawyer and see if I can get all the money back I ever spend with this people. Want no answers or play the waiting game join Aflac. Yeah right they suck.

A. T. of Corona, CA on

I signed up for Aflac through my company 18 months ago. I was told how great it was and would benefit myself and my family if anyone was ever injured or unable to work. Well, that was a lie. I had to have surgery twice last year and surprisingly surgery is not covered in my policy (even though it does not state this). When the AFLAC rep came to meet with the employees at my company the question of surgery came up and the rep stated that indeed surgery is covered. I have paid in a lot of money to insure my family wouldn't struggle if any serious issues ever came up but that did not happen. I strongly recommend not signing up for Aflac, very disappointed.

Jainaba of Washingon Dc, DC on

I have a agent who is NEVER available. The last person said John, maybe Jean... either way they're getting paid to do nothing. My ultimate goal is to pass the word to my friends and family NOT to get a policy. I've had my policy Since January 2015. My daughter had a tonsillectomy Feb 13th, 2017. I haven't gotten paid and now they're telling me they need to know if this is a "pre existing condition"... I AM CANCELLING MY POLICY THE END OF THE YEAR... Aflac takes your money paycheck to paycheck. I would get an extra $80 each pay, if it weren't for them. It's okay. Loyalty to ME IS EVERYTHING... When you needed my signature I gave it. Now I need your help, I see what THEY GAVE ME TO KISS... (AFLAC) with their duck face... Quack on THAT!!! SO UPSET... FRAUD business.

Joe of Cerritos, CA on

I called at the end of last year to cancel my policy. They asked the reason of cancellation and gave me the confirmation. After a month later, they still continue to deduct the cost of insurance from my check. I called them again. They said they will refund the overcharges. But a week later I received a letter from the insurance company saying that my policy was stopped. I called them again and now they said the "you policy is pre-tax."

I told them at the beginning, our company offered a different insurance company with a lower rate that is pre-tax. I asked to talk to a supervisor. She told me that was how my company set the policy up, that I have no control over my company, that is IRS rule, and that there was nothing they could do. When their agent asked me about it I told them I changed to another insurance company. She did not tell me that it was pre-tax and are not allowed to change insurance companies. She just said, "I am sorry we made a mistake" and there was nothing they could do. I would like the IRS to look into this.

Jean of Janesville, WI on

I've submitted a claim for critical illness, I was diagnosed with cancer. But it's been 2 months now since I filed and they still haven't paid my claim. Every time I call, they need some kind of form filled out but never mentioned it when I started my claim. I'm sure they process thousands of claims everyday but somehow there's a different form needed every time I follow up. So why they didn't tell me what forms to fill out or submitted to the doctor right away when I started this claim? They just like to drag it out so they don't pay any claims! They probably wait longer so people die first before they see any benefits. I elected this insurance so I have a peace of mind while off work, but it's more of a headache than anything else.

Debra of Spanish Fork, UT on

I wish I had seen this site before purchasing a accident and special event policy from this company. We recently had a son that had a kidney transplant. We have been trying to get payment for our policy for over 2 months now. They have strung us along asking us for endless documents from our doctors. The only way for me to get information is to call into the center and be on hold for up to a hour at a time to speak with someone. There is no information online that we can get about our policy. We had been told different information every time we have called in only to be given the run around. The only time we have gotten a quick response is when I filled out a questionnaire and gave them a bad review. I have not been told that they require another 14 business days before they will make a decision.

I recently received a letter in the mail that says that in the event they will not pay our policy we will get a refund for our premium. We have called several times this week asking them for a copy of our application so that we can review it along with an attorney. We have called several times this week and are now not able to get a hold of anyone including the agent that sold us and my company the policies. We have also recently received a letter telling us that we will be refunded for our policy in the event that they choose not pay. What is the point of purchasing a policy if when you make a claim you get totally frustrated and do not have any of the "peace of mind" that you thought you purchased in the event of an illness.

Sandra of Lakeland, FL on

I have had Aflac since 2003. I file a claim in December of 2016. As of February of 2017 I have not received one penny my local agent John avoid my calls. The district manager avoids me altogether. Aflac have passed me off to this one supervisor Shirley **. She do answer and return call, but as of today February 15th 2017 I have not received one penny and I have my surgery on December the 13th 2016. I do not recommend Aflac to anyone. Save your money.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.
  • Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.
  • Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.
  • Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.
  • Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.
  • Best for People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Compare Disability Insurance