1.49/5
Based on 139 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Aflac

Aflac is the leader in voluntary insurance sales at the work site in the United States.*

Short-Term Disability**

Hospital Intensive Care**

Hospital Indemnity***

Dental***

Vision**

**Available as individual product only

***Available in both individual and group products. Benefits of group and individual products may vary.

Read More Read More
Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 21, 2018

558 Aflac Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

I bought my AFLAC cancer policy in 1994 and recently was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma on my scalp and had a PET scan that revealed multiple lesions throughout my body. These internal locations are in places too difficult to biopsy according to oncologists at Levine Cancer Institute. Because my pathology report from the two lesions removed from my scalp does not show Clark's Level staging, AFLAC is refusing to pay the one time initial payment for cancer. My oncologist says that Clark's Level staging is no longer used and hasn't been for many years. I am taking immunotherapy in hopes of slowing the growth of the internal melanoma and am appalled that AFLAC would deny payment. Oncologist is going to provide me information showing this and I will be submitting a rebuttal. I am very upset and think that when a person is facing such a terrible prognosis that we should not have to "fight" overpayment. How can AFLAC be so heartless??

Original review: April 19, 2018

About 14 yrs ago I had Aflac. My wife and I went on vacation and when we got back within 24 hours I got sick. I walked somehow into the hospital with 107 temperature. I was immediately admitted and lay in the hospital for 13 days. Very touch and go. Dr diagnosed me with severe cellulitis due to a spider bite. I faxed mailed any and all paperwork to Aflac only for them to deny any payment because Dr couldn't name the species of spider! The commercials are very cute but the business is a total scam and greedy.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I signed up with my employer nearly a year ago, Sarah ** / Tori ** were the agents. I was admitted to the hospital on 2/7/18 because I had to have a hernia repair surgery, and a weight loss revision surgery, in which the doctor decided it would be too painful to do two separate surgeries and would rather operate on me once. After, I was released from the hospital, and while recovering I reached out to Aflac only to find out I was NEVER enrolled in the Hospital Indemnity nor the Accident insurance, I immediately reached out to my employer, they contacted their Aflac Representative In which it took her two months to make contact back to them to get me enrolled for an effective date of 7/1/17.

This was after I contacted someone named Dwain ** with Aflac, he stated he would make sure that I would be taken care of, before the end of the day I was contacted by someone named Katherine (Katie) ** who gave me a certificate number and told me I needed to fill out my claim forms and send all my documents to her email, she had a special contact she would be working with. She stated that my claim would be expedited that was on 04/3/18.

Since then Katherine has asked me to send her admission paperwork, doctors notes, all codes, discharge summary, and diagnosis. I have complied. I called customer service to check the status of the claim on 4/6/18. They stated there was no record of any claims being processed for me, I asked if they could check all possible areas, I gave them Katherine’s name, the customer service representative told me they would be able to see a claim if it was in the system, I was instructed by the CSR to send all the information I sent to Katherine send it in to the claims email so that it can get processed.

After hanging up I immediately text Katherine and told her what happened. She stated, they were working on my claim through a special team of escalations and that she is working with that team and that the general customer service can’t see the claim. FAST FORWARD I called customer service and was told my claim is being denied for an exclusion of weight loss surgery, I explained to the representative that I also had hernia repair so I wouldn’t have to go through another surgery, all of this is in the admission, discharge papers and doctor’s notes.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I should have learned the first time I had them. I had hospitalization and my appendix burst. They wouldn’t pay out cause I was not in the hospital for 23 hours. I was there 22. So I canceled. Then they came around as I had my own business, so I get short term disability. I pay the extra money so they pay out right away. I have to take a job with another company and I get hurt. 3 months of information going back and forth with Aflac and now they deny the claim cause it was a work related injury! It took them 3 months to tell me this! Plus we have no agent in the area cause they all seem to quit. So now that I thought I was covered was all BS. I would not recommend this company! I think I should contact a lawyer and just see what my options are.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Most of the customer service people were nice and appeared to attempt to help. However, the auditors are TERRIBLE!! Unbelievable how bad this experience is. I filed claim 3/7/18. As of 4/17/18 STILL going in circles with them!! They say they need a piece of info; provide it, they say "oh no, we need a different piece of info. We will call you"- & of course, NO ONE calls. I had surgery. Aflac says they're here to help (& I’ve paid for this supposed service)... ALL they have done is create more stress!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Back in July 2017 at my new employer I was informed by Aflac team members reps that EVERYTHING was covered by their hospital indemnity policy, just that since I was a female I had to wait a year into my policy to have a baby. Moving forward to March 17th, I go see my regular physician and get an annual only a few days later to get a call saying that my iron in my was blood was so low that I needed to go to the ER to get a blood transfusion. Before I could even make it to the ER I passed out at home alone. After my family got worried from my job contacted them stated I never made it to work. They came to my home looking for me, they found me passed out.

Calling the ambulance they rushed me to the hospital. I stayed in the hospital for 5 days. After leaving I made sure to gather all my discharge records to upload to Aflac website (24 pages) and submitted it. They DENIED my claim stating it was a premedical condition. How the hell do you determine that?! Getting my Doctor to write a note stating that it was just determined, resubmitted it and still NOTHING! Aflac is a joke and I CANCELED all my policies and now is DEMANDING a refund!

Original review: April 12, 2018

My husband had an accident getting out of his truck and cracked his knee. He tore his ACL and Meniscus, first had rehab, then an MRI, surgery and then more rehab. He is out of work for 6 to 9 months after the surgery. This makes it a year total he will be out of work. I must have sent in at least 40 pages of reports with accident and injury stated on all of them. Yet, my accident claim was denied because they are claiming it was not an accident. "It just happened on its own"- isn't that an accidental injury? Tell that to my husband who had surgery. Tell that to his employer who now has a worker's comp case.

I have had my policy for 12 years so estimate I paid somewhere around $9000 in premiums. Now I make a claim for $1600 and I am denied. I just figured that even if they paid me I am still at a loss. So I canceled all my policies, accident, short-term disability and hospitalization, I just can't throw more good money after bad especially when I am trying to pay bills that AFLAC states they will help you with when you need it most. VERY DISAPPOINTED. I WILL LET MY FELLOW EMPLOYEES TO GET OUT OF THIS SCAM.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I went into the hospital with chest pain, they ran every ran a lot of test to try and find the cause, but like a car when you bring it to a mechanic, they couldn't find the problem. So they decided to admit me overnight, now I went in at 11 am on a Saturday and wasn't released until 7:30 pm on Sunday. When I signed up with Aflac, there was nothing in my paperwork or pamphlet that says anything about an observation room exclusion. It only says hospital stay has to be more than 18 hrs. So my claim was declined because of something they added later. I think this is fraud.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have been going through this process since December. I had gastric sleeve surgery December 13th. After fighting with my insurance since June and denying based on the services are not covered due to the policy, I went to Mexico. After coming back, I met with my PCP and she put me out on short term disability. These policies are set up for you to fail.

Both my hospital and disability claims were denied based on me being obese. Well I was obese when I signed up for the policy and due to my weight and commodities I had to save my life. The survey helped me in so many ways and I'm getting healthier by the day, but the stress of having AFLAC cover you and deny you based on 1 medical records is crazy. I had to take matters of my life in my hands and to think this company will cover you when they are paid out of your paycheck every pay period is crazy. I wish I could cancel them but because I was out without being paid on short term disability I missed the open enrollment period.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I am over 65 and working full time. Money is still being deducted from my paycheck. I have heard that Aflac will not pay ANY claims if the claimant is over 65. Is that true? If so, why are you still accepting my payments. If I am just donating money there are many other entities I'd rather donate to. I have heard that policies cannot be switched and new policies cannot be purchased if the claimant is over 65. Is that true?

Original review: April 4, 2018

DENIED! I cannot figured out why my claim for my baby hospitalization was denied. Me and my wife was on vacation out of country for a week and my daughter 17 months old was having a diarrhea and vomiting for more than 24hrs. We decided to take her to the nearest hospital and was diagnosed for a GASTROENTERITIS with mild dehydration. We were advised by the attending Physician to admit her for more than 24hrs and so.

After a week of vacation, we finally got back to Guam and uploaded the documents online for a Hospital Confinement claim. After a few days of waiting we received an email asking for admission documents where the physicians has detailed the patient’s history indicating the reason for hospitalization, which we did send it after a week of calling back and forth “INTERNATIONALLY” to the attending Physician and the Hospital. It is very inconvenient and expensive to call out of country just to get the said required documents. We waited again for several days calling customer service everyday for follow-ups and checking if there are more documents needed for the claim. I was so disappointed on the outcome of our claim saying “DENIED” due to unnecessary CONFINEMENT. We called Customer Service again to see and get an answer why it was denied but we did not get an answer and customer care representative was very unhelpful.

We called the following day and was told the Auditor will give me a call and explain why it was DENIED but nobody called us. I would like some of my questions answered and I’m not sure where to turn. Maybe someone can help me here? I would like to know what are the covered sickness in order for us to get the Hospital Confinement Claim? I was reading our benefits in our policy and did not specify CRITICAL illness. Our benefits says: Aflac will pay $1000 when covered person requires - Hospital Confinement for 23 or more hours (which our claims met this requirement) - Covered Sickness or Injury and a charge is incurred (it did not state any specific sicknesses/illness). Hoping to get an answer.

Hello Mark
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Mark Genesis (3502714) April 5, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: April 4, 2018

I personally carried 2-policies (cancer & accident) with AFLAC for approximately 8-years. I also own a small business and bought accident policies for all 10-employees as well as some employees personally paid for select additional policies. So I was leveraging quite a few policies with AFLAC. Didn't matter. They are typical insurance scam trying to deny claims and get you to accept less or no reimbursement.

My first claim on accident policy was in 2017 after 8 years. My wife fell and blew out two discs in her neck. Required surgery to remove the discs, clean out the disc fluid from spinal column and replace one of the vertebrate. My first submittal was denied because AFLAC said this was not covered. But it is clearly stated in accident policy "disc surgery & replacement." When I was on the phone with an AFLAC rep I went through the policy line by line, when the "disc surgery" line item was next the rep got quiet then said that was all the policy covered!?

There were at least 6-more covered items including the disc surgery in print in the policy and she stopped! It took weeks of going back and forth and working with my rep to get a manager to agree that was covered but then they started us going back to the hospital multiple times for different types of paperwork, each one became a new need after we drove all the way to the hospital for say the "operative report". Once we submitted that then they wanted more detailed billing, submit, then they wanted more details on the room, the surgery, etc. All delay tactics. Went on for months. I have since canceled all policies. Cannot believe what a big scam AFLAC is and gets away with it.

Hello John,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: John (3502354 ) April 4, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Aflac policyholders must provide their name & AT LEAST 2 of the following: Policy number, Claim number, Claim Check number, Date of Birth, or Name of your employer.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 3, 2018

I had back surgery on November 13, 2017 and was able to go home on the afternoon of the 15th. Submitted a claim with all the paperwork the hospital provided. The paperwork shows all of the services I was charged for by the hospital for those two days, but because the hospital called it an observation room instead of charging for Room and Board AFLAC has denied the claim. I've spoken with two "customer service representatives" and they have been nice, but of no help. To say the least I am very disappointed in the way my claim has been handled.

Hello Linda,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Linda (3500116) April 3, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 2, 2018

I signed up for Aflac December 2016 through my employer. And I heard them say would cost me 65 a month. And then they didn't start deducting until April 2017 and they took out 65 plus dollars a week...not month as I was told. By that time I changed my work location and has less hours so my income was lower. So October I cancelled my policy. And the payments still kept being deducted and by this time it's been thousands of dollars wasted. And I was told by the Aflac representative that I had to stop payments through my employer which I did and Aflac told me they'd reimburse me payments taken out from October 18 until my payments stopped which was the last week of January. And I received a small pathetic amount of 300 dollars only so I called Aflac to see where the rest of my refund is and they said they aren't paying anymore. I am considering going to a small claims court… Stay away from Aflac. They are thieves.

Updated on 04/17/2018: I wrote a review if my horrible experience with aflac and I got A response saying for me to email them with my issue and I did right away and I haven't gotten any response back from them. I'm out thousands of dollars for an insurance I never used. They like I said are thieves beware of this company

Hello Jessica,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Jessica (3498130) April 3, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 30, 2018

I am new to Aflac as is my place of employment - this year it was a new "benefit" that we could opt in to and our coverage would begin on 1/1/18. At the time of enrollment I told the Rep that was signing us up that I knew I had a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy scheduled for February 12th. He said "Perfect - you will have needed to have the policy in place for 30 days before submitting a claim so the timing of all of that is great." He informed me of how "easy" and "pain free" this whole claims process would be. I feel betrayed... it's been a horrible experience. I can't even get the $100 payment that I should be entitled to. I submitted the claim on February 13th or 14th with the "help" of my Rep because the form I needed was not available online.

I work at the hospital that my procedure was performed at so getting the needed medical documents was easy - that, and the procedures themselves have been the ONLY things that have been "easy". My Rep seems like she is trying to help (when she gets back with me) but she says even she is frustrated for me. Together, she and I have submitted my paperwork more than once and she says she is still being told (almost 2 months later) that it is still under review. Why??? What the heck is there to still be reviewing? I'm frustrated and ready to cancel this policy... and not only me - because I've had such a horrible time (and so has another employee) there are several people at our hospital who are ready to cancel.

For the policies I've taken out I've already paid Aflac more than I'm supposed to get back... and I can't even have a good first impression. I'm hoping this site is legit and that I wont be spammed after submitting this because frankly, I can't take any more BS where Aflac is involved. I'm not even someone who complains very easily and I'm beside myself.

Hello Dawne,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Dawne (3489469) March 30, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 29, 2018

I have an Aflac Hospital Indemnity policy. In January of this year notice pain in my groin area. After looking online I thought it may be a hernia. As I did not have an primary care physician I contacted a general surgeon who had previously performed surgery on me and made an appointment. He confirmed that I did have an inguinal hernia and scheduled surgery for March 2 of this year. Upon recovery I went to the hospital and got all the records and filed my claim, uploading the documents on March 8. Then the fun began.

First off it took 4 days to be able to access the AFLAC mailbox that they were sending the information to. I tried on more than one computer to make sure it was not my system. They had my email address yet would only send me notifications that there was an email in my AFLAC mailbox. They then asked for notes from the surgeon. His office mistakenly marked that I was referred by another doctor, which I was not. I had the surgeon's office correct this mistake and again uploaded it into their system. They then informed me that they needed a letter from the mistakenly listed referral doctor saying he did not refer me. I got that and uploaded it to them. They then said they needed all doctor notes from this doctor from the previous year before I had the policy to ensure that it was not a prior condition.

I then got a letter from this doctor saying that he had not seen me during that period. This is a doctor at a walk in clinic that I usually go to for minor issues (i.e., ear infections, etc.) to get a prescription from needed. Every time I send them something they email me saying they received it and it will be four business days for them to review it. It is now March 29 and the claim has still not been resolved, even though their Same Day Claim information states that "if all documentation is received by 3pm, the claim will be processed." I have now paid Aflac over $700 for this policy and can not get a documented claim paid. I also have a Cancer policy with them both through my employer but when our next open enrollment is I will be cancelling both of them. BEWARE. AFLAC Does not PAY.

Hello Richard,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Richard (3484288) March 29, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 29, 2018 I don’t know why I see all the negative reviews on here but from what I can make out of most of them it’s just a matter of getting your correct paperwork in order.

Yes it’s a hassle to get itemized bills from the hospital pathology reports, doctors signatures, codes etc. but AFLAC paid over $60,000 when my husband got cancer! I will always keep this AFLAC policy!

Hi Linda,

I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac employee here to help, and to assure that customer experiences are above expectation. Thank you so much for sharing your Aflac experience!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had been leery of Aflac and the amazing stories I heard from co-workers made me roll my eyes. I can tell you that I am not sure why I waited so long to get insured!!! My son is an athlete and is constantly injuring himself. He tore his ACL last year and Aflac covered all my out of pocket expenses for his visits, surgery and follow up appts w doc and physical therapy. Aflac paid about $1350 total for that incident! Then in Dec I was hospitalized and Aflac paid in 3 days once I was home and able to file my claim for the stay. Aflac paid about a $3500 payment in total to me! Aflac has been a lifesaver for us and the serious injuries we have encountered in the last year! I tell everyone about them and why they should have Aflac!

Hi Pamela,

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have carried a policy with Aflac for 3 years that covers specified events such as stroke. I suffered a stroke in December 2017. All my records were submitted for my claim by Jan. 26, including letters from both my primary care and neurologist stating the diagnosis as stroke. It's a very lengthy and arduous process to upload all the records on the website. It's been two months now and they still keep asking for more records and have denied the claim once and then closed my claim once without notifying me. The recent request was for records sent over a month ago. It's hard to tell if they are trying to scam me, wear me down, or the claims people are not competent. I will probably have to bring this to my state insurance commissioner. I would stay away from Aflac and talk with your local insurance company first.

Hello Stephen,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Stephen (3474403) April 2, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 24, 2018

First of all once I get back to work I'm telling everyone that they will not pay anything. First of all 5 months ago I went to ER and they kept me for observation. That is what they put but my BP was high and I had other signs for the heart. They denied that one. Ok but now I had to have surgery for a hernia and my stomach was pulled apart on the inside. When they had surgery they found out I had 2 of them. They had to fix it because I was in a ton of pain. I had surgery on 2/27/18. Was in the hospital until 3/1/18. I sent in everything. Went to the hospital because I had them send all the paperwork to you. I wasn't supposed to be walking but you needed this. I thought it wouldn't take this long but apparently you guys like not helping your Customers.

I needed my money that I was told I would get for rent and bills but now I got not only one letter that says you need a diagnostic codes which is lies then I got another one that says that the claim is denied saying that surgery not covered. I guess really nothing is covered. This is something that will help my life but it isn't cover really. This is all wrong with this company. I definitely will be letting everyone know how you guys work and I really think that the BBB needs to know how you guys work and how you treat your customers. I'm very disappointed in this company. I always thought it would be good but I guess I was wrong. I even called to see that they got everything and they said it was being revised. Yea right. Then today 3/23/18 I GET BOTH THESE letters. They know how to take your money but not how to help people.

Hello Carol,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Carol (3465994) March 25, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 24, 2018

On January 27th of this year I received a severe dog bite to my right hand, ring finger. The attack almost amputated my ring finger. Trip to the emergency room, X-rays, stitches, antibiotics and a tetanus shot. Two days later a trip to a hand surgeon for follow up with more X-rays and treatment. Ended up with a fractured finger and severe laceration and two months off work. I have had Aflac accident insurance for years but this was my first experience filing a claim. I learned today the maximum benefit for a finger injury such as mine is 50.00 dollars!! They did covers 200 dollar payment for the ER but that’s it! My bill is approaching 6500.00 dollars. Monday I’ll be canceling this worthless scam insurance and notifying my company of my experience with Aflac... What a huge disappointment to think you are covered for an accident only to find out they’ll happily take your money until something happens then send you fifty dollars for a 6500.00 dollar accident!

Hello Clifford,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Clifford (3464884) March 24, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 23, 2018

DENIED! I cannot figure out why an accident policy denies my claim. I injured my knee getting out of my truck, not on purpose, it was an “accident”. I have paid for this policy for years. Last time I tried to make a claim the agent never called or contacted me, even spoke to her at the company yearly signing. She took my info- nothing and she is no longer with AFLAC. This newest denial of my accident only says I’ve wasted a lot of money. I hope canceling is easier than making a claim.

Hello Scott,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Scott (3462316) March 23, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Nasty, rude and condescending phone bank employees including "supervisor". (I have doubts it really was a "Supervisor".) Will be cancelling ALL policies next month. They hire the dredges. I have not had ONE positive experience. Colonel Life...you ready to take our $$?

Hello Debbie,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Debbie (3459748) March 22, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I was always a proponent of this type of insurance for my company and its employees. That is until now when I actually had to utilize it. My wife was in the hospital for about a month with an Astrocytoma. Astrocytoma is a malignant cancerous tumor. Due to its location it was inoperable and a biopsy would essentially kill her or cause permanent paralysis. Aflac initially asked for a pathology report and the doctor replied with the diagnosis. Aflac has been dodging any payments stating they needed to see the word cancer. They have requested numerous hospital reports etc. My wife was diagnosed with this cancer on February 20th. It's now March 21. My wife passed away March 13th. No money... still processing.

Aflac sells itself with cancer policy to help the family during difficult times when money is needed. Nothing can be further from the truth. This has been the most disrespectful process imaginable. I have read now all this reviews with similar stories. I don't understand why this company is not investigated for fraud. I will give this one more week then speak with an attorney and consider a class action suit, certainly investigate Aflac's pattern of avoiding paying out on legitimate claims. Disgraceful Aflac. I will certainly not let this go with only a bad review on this site. I will make it my mission for people to know what the Aflac experience is like.

Josh,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help. You have my sincerest condolences for the the passing of your wife. Aflac's contact center at aflacservice@aflac.com can assist you. Please include in your email: Josh (3457459) March 22, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 20, 2018

I had several procedures done getting ready for surgery. File those claims nothing ever paid. Had surgery and several days stay in hospital. Those claims were never paid in January of 2010 when this policy was taken out 2009. As of today March the 20 2018 those claims are still unpaid to me.

Hello Theresa,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Theresa (3452548) March 20, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Aflac customer service is a JOKE!! I have been off work now since January 28th. It is March the 12th and I still haven’t received my first short-term disability check. I have sent emails, I have called numerous times without “my agent” Returning my calls. It’s pretty sad that obviously a physician has you off on medical leave for whatever reason and you can’t get anyone to return your calls!! I’m stressed!! My bills are late. I’m a single mother raising 3 kids and I have zero income coming in. Their dad is off on strike with Frontier and I literally have not received any money. Thank God I had some in savings (which is now gone). You pay for this insurance and you expect them to do their job.

I would like some of my questions answered and I’m not sure where to turn. Maybe someone here can help?!?! So, do they pay you bi-weekly or weekly?? How long do you have to be off before your claim starts?? How long does it last?? Please I need some answers!!! I already have been told by the physicians I will be needing surgery. I am a RN and physically will not be able to return to my work until I have my neck surgery. It’s just physically impossible. It’s very disheartening to know you pay into something hoping that when you need it, it will be available only to find out it seems impossible to get. After reading some of these stories I can see I’m not alone. Shame on you for having poor customer service as well as poor employees who do not respond to calls or emails!!! If I could give a 1/2 of a star I would!!!

Hello Amber,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Amber (3426748) March 13, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I attempted to take care of a billing problem online and after five attempts decided to call the suggested phone numbers. I waited for 46 minute during the first call and was hung up on. I attempted three more times and I am not sure how long I was on hold during these occasions. I then decided for the callback option. This call was returned in approximately 45 minutes and I was transferred to three different people. Again, I was placed on hold for one hour and 11 minutes!! I will be consulting Colonial Life!

Hello Linda,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Linda (3425839) March 12, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Have Aflac Accident Insurance. I slipped in the garage and didn't fall/land, but my left leg stretched out to the side at an acutely odd angle. A day or two later I had a sharp pain in my left calf that would come and go. I didn't think much of it and didn't at first even associate it with my slip in the garage. I treated it with rest and ** as most people would do. It wasn't until several days later that my left buttock cheek hurt and the pain radiated down the left leg.

It was at this point that I realized that I must have injured my sciatic nerve when I slipped. I again, treated the symptoms at home and eventually sought treatment with Orthopedics. They gave me steroids, muscle relaxers which did very little and I was eventually sent to physical therapy, which cost me over $1000 because it went towards my deductible. I have Aflac Accident Insurance, so I submitted a claim. It was denied because I didn't seek medical attention within 72 hours. Unbelievable!! Why do we have insurance? To make us run to the doctor/hospital after every accident, even when we don't have symptoms at first or they are mild or don't even at first relate to the accident that happened? I am going to try and get the coverage I pay to protect, or will just cancel all three policies I have with them. They need to realize that some injuries don't present themselves within 72 hours or they are mild and worsen over time.

Hello Joan,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Joan (3424384) March 14, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 11, 2018

After getting my policy, it’s been downhill ever since. Countless hours trying to get someone to help me, increase policyholders - add new policy, questions about existing policy, reaching the original sales rep has been absolutely impossible even through email. No such thing as customer service with this company. That’s too bad because I want additional policies and hoped to have them all in one place, but doesn’t look good folks! I’m giving them one whole year to change my mind... everyone deserves 2nd or 3rd chances in my mind - so I’ll update if anything changes but don’t hold your breath. 5 months to go!!

Hello Misty,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Misty (3420529) March 11, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Before I begin let me just say I read in desperation for help these reviews and saw Phyllis's name and they helped me. Here is my story, Jan 12th ALL my paperwork that I needed was submitted, 2 weeks went by and I started to call and check on it, they said they needed my 2016 W2 I submitted Jan 22nd, then on Jan 24th I call again then they need 2017 W2. I submitted that as well to 2 different Aflac employees in one day. Feb 4th again I called and they claim they need my W2 and don't have it I submitted to 2 different employees again. Feb 12 W2 of 2017 was faxed from my boss.

Feb 14th I finally contacted my local rep and she got involved and gets a hold of the claims dept manager and forwards all the emails that I truly did submit what they needed. Feb 20th dept manager talked to my rep and didn't provide her any accountability or reason as why this was a mess and finally admits they have all they need. Feb 26th I left claims manager a voicemail. Hours fly by and I leave her another voicemail threatening this woman that I was going to call her boss for all this unprofessionalism. She called back right away and stated it would be another week but she would call me back the following Monday which would mean March 5th. March 1st dept claims manager emailed my Local Aflac rep stating to give them 24hrs a decision would be made.

We are now March 5th. No calls no decision was made. However I did call her again and nicely requested an update. No callback. This website is what I found in desperation for help I emailed Phyllis and Wed March 7th I was emailed and contacted by Aflac rep, I almost thought it wasn't real simply because in all this mess they have never gone out of their way to contact me. I called the rep and he apologized for all the stress and inconveniences. I didn't take my frustrations out on him but, I'm in limbo on whether to keep this policy or not. I'd almost feel better if I knew what actions were being taken to correct everything from claims reps, to claims manager. But thank you to Aflac headquarters my claim was paid.

Hello Crystal,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Crystal (3410446) March 8, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns.

Aflac expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.

• Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.

• Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.

• Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.

• Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky