1.37/5
Based on 168 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Aflac

Aflac is the leader in voluntary insurance sales at the work site in the United States.*

Short-Term Disability**

Hospital Intensive Care**

Hospital Indemnity***

Dental***

Vision**

**Available as individual product only

***Available in both individual and group products. Benefits of group and individual products may vary.

View More View More

606 Aflac Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

We haven't had Aflac very long, and we've already had to file a claim on my husband. I have submitted every report they asked for in a timely manner, yet 1 month into the claim and 2 days before my husband's cancer removal surgery, now they want more paperwork. They should have asked for everything they were going to need at the beginning, as I have had to miss work, waste gas and time getting all these things they want. Still no decision, as they are still waiting for MORE paperwork after a month!!! This is highly unsatisfactory and extremely disappointing as the consumer. They make you promises they don't seem to keep, and you're going to have to do ALL the legwork. They even sent for an associate statement via business class mail... WITHIN THEIR OWN COMPANY! Good luck, you're going to need it.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I've had AFLAC coverage for 4 to 5 years and have used it before without very much issue until now. I was out of work from early May to the end of May with an injury and was unable to work. As always I went through the whole process of getting the proper forms filled out from my doctor (I use V.A coverage which is very slow and unresponsive) after waiting 2 to 3 weeks for my V.A doctor to fill out her portion, I had my H.R rep fill out her portion which took another 3 to 4 weeks. Now we are into June when I fax AFLAC their forms to begin my claim. Of which you get no correspondence from AFLAC concerning your claim...no emails, no phone calls or alerts... nothing...you have to guess and hope that everything is going ok???

After waiting another 3 weeks with no word on my claim, I called the customer service line and the rep told me it would be another week or two until my claim is processed (June 18th). I'm actually back to work by now and behind on all bills by the way. Thanks AFLAC. So I call on the day my claim is supposed to be processed and oh what do you know I had the wrong forms filled out??? What??? Why wasn't I notified of this initially?? No calls or emails or alerts were sent saying this and when I called to complain with the customer service supervisor he claims that a message was sent via the website about my forms. Not true. If you are going to lie to me make sure I can't log on while we are talking on the phone. I asked to talk to his supervisor and he of course gave me a fake number to call. AFLAC routinely comes to my job to get me clients. From now on I will be sure to advise all my coworkers to stay away from AFLAC.

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have been out of work since April due to being an expectant mother and my job calls for more than I can handle being pregnant which cause me a lot of stress so my Dr. put me out on disability until I had the baby. So I did all my paperwork. Waited the 10 business days to be approved. Found out a detailed disability was not on the paperwork so it was denied. Meanwhile I found this out by calling Aflac. Not even by them notifying me there was a problem. So I have the Dr. fill the papers out again and add the disability and send it back over. So I wait another 10 business days. Come to find out the paperwork was missing a date of return to work so it was denied again which is confusing because all of it could of been avoided with a phone call to me instead me calling to check on it.

So I still have not received any payment. I have had the baby so while I'm in the hospital I call to see when I should be getting paid. This is June 2nd now. I have waited with no payment. So they say they did not receive the paperwork with the return to work date. So I called my Dr. again and had her resend it and I call every day to check on status and they keep pushing the review date back a day over and over. I'm not sure what the problem is but I have went all these months waiting on a payment to pay bills and I am disappointed deeply by this so hopefully one day I'll receive a payment and when I return to work I will be definitely letting go of Aflac. I have been a member 6 years now and they received their money every 2 weeks but now I cannot receive anything when I need it. Thanks for nothing Aflac!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have been trying to get things faxed to Aflac. They claim that they only receive part of it. Most unprofessional thing I have ever dealt with. I have multihull claims and I can't seem to get anything accomplished. I have thousands of dollars and will be in bankruptcy shortly. My opinion Aflac is a fraudulent company. What a mess. It is a trap to disqualify a person. They get their money every 2 weeks right on time. To me it's reverse insurance fraud. Our credit rating are in the 700's. Now we’re going to be bankrupt. So sad how big corps rob people while we suffer. Worked all our lives for nothing. Aflac should be investigated.

Resolution response: June 15, 2018

I'm not sure what happened, but 24 hours after voicing my opinion on this site, Aflac responded by paying my claim. Thank you, Aflac, and a special thanks to Consumer Affairs for having a viable platform that allows consumers a chance to express their concerns, and provide valuable insight to others that may be experiencing the same hardship.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I filed a short term with Aflac in early April, and was subsequently denied 7 days later. I was advised by my employer to resubmit the claim as per our Aflac representative, and so, the claim was resubmitted on 5/29/18, and I received an email confirmation that my documents were in fact received by Aflac. Here we are 13 days later, and whenever I call, or check online for a claim update, I'm informed that portions of my claim are still being reviewed. What happen to the four business day timeline for a response, and furthermore, if my original claim took 7 days to deny, why is the appeal taking twice as long to approve (or, based on the other comments on this blog, denied again).

I missed 30 days of work, and I was expecting to be compensated via my Short Term Disability, however, that is far from the case. I've emailed my Aflac rep, and I'm sure that this will shock some of you, but I've gotten no response. I'm still holding on by a thread that Aflac will come through at the 11th hour with a favorable resolution, however, with each passing day, that seems very unlikely, and I'm counting the days on my calendar in regards to when I can actually cancel this policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aflac?

Original review: June 13, 2018

Aflac seems to be giving me the run around with paperwork. I uploaded forms that was said unreadable. I was told to fax the forms. Now, I'm told it's no longer a quick claim because I faxed the form. I was told it will take 7/14 days for reviewing and receiving any type of payment. This has been going on for a month. I'm beginning to think it's not worth the time.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I broke my ankle. It took 14 days to receive my first check (4 days was getting paperwork together 10 days for Aflac to review). I was not released to go back to work. My agent filed for an extension. It will be 19 days before Aflac has time to look at it (7 days waiting on doctor reports 12 days for Aflac to review). On page 7 k. my policy reads, "TIME PAYMENT OF CLAIMS: all benefits payable under this policy will be paid immediately upon receipt of due written proof of loss." I have given them this written proof of loss. I don't think Aflac is a horrible company. They just don't live up to the image they put forth in their television commercials or honor the timelines written in their policy.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Stay away. For six years every two week they have been taking out money out of my check. Finally is the first time I can put it to use. At first I called customer service for the claim forms which they easily emailed to me. I had to wait seven days to fill them out. After 7 days I filled all the claim forms and I am ready to fax it "yes fax cannot email it".

I called customer service for my policy number. The representative ask me the basic questions to find my information and who I was. Then she said she needed to ask me some security questions to give my policy number. After asking me the questions which I answered correctly she tells me for now she can't give me my policy number and I have to wait 7 days for the reason why. I explained to her I was finishing a claim forms and I needed the policy number and she told me she couldn't do anything about it and I had to wait an additional seven days to see what happened. I will update in seven days which is 14 days of holding this paperwork. And yes I am the policyholder.

Original review: June 10, 2018

My employer does not offer short-term disability. Instead, they offer Aflac. I have been paying Aflac premiums on nearly every policy they offer for over 10 years now. Two months ago, I had a major surgery. Being single and having only one income, I put in for disability payments immediately. Right weeks later, I have yet to receive one plug nickel from Aflac. "They're running behind..." "They're still processing it." If I were not able to borrow money to live on, I'd be in serious trouble right now. I go back to work this week. After I get my money from Aflac (if I ever do), I will be dropping every policy I have. I'll be better off putting away the money I've been paying them.

Original review: June 10, 2018

On January 04, 2018 I discovered that I have been overpaying premiums for many years. I first joined Aflac in 1998 and have been a customer since. I put my grandchildren on the policies (I have 3 of them) when I obtained custody. I relinquished custody of the grandchildren in November 2004. The area representative was informed of this change. The problem is Aflac never removed the grandchildren from any of the policies and has continued overcharging for many years. I have sent Aflac all court papers, birth certificates and whatever they requested.

Each time I call I am repeatedly told it's in "It's in review with their attorneys". I have called 31 times in the past 6 months to find out what is going on and each time I am told the same thing and are pretty much refusing to reimburse the money I have overpaid to them. The Georgia state attorney general will not help me. I will soon be in contact with the state Insurance Commissioner. I need help to get this company to reimburse me the money that does not belong to them.

Original review: June 9, 2018

After being told for over a month that I qualified to use my benefits with Aflac for being put on bed rest because I went into preterm labor and bed rest was to keep it from happening again that just send in my paperwork so they could process it, today when I called to see when they were depositing benefits instead I get told I was denied and now the only way I can possibly use my benefits is if I just go ahead and have the baby when it's not even time yet. So this company would rather have me risk my unborn child being born early than to honor what I was told over a month ago.

Keep in mind I'm a single mom of two already who is trying to figure out now where I will live since now I will not be getting benefits that I was originally told I would receive so I could pay rent. Way to go Aflac way to go. You have failed in so many ways. I haven’t cried this much in a very long time. I will say because of this even if you guys honor paying me my benefits when I have my baby afterwards I highly doubt I will ever use your company again. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I've been an Aflac customer for over a DECADE. I've referred several dozen new customers locally where I live. I've even been a large proponent of having numerous coworkers enroll as well. Within the last 6 months I've experienced incredibly unprofessional customer service and an even more uneducated staff. I don't know what kind of modeling changes have happened lately with this company, but it's been absolutely egregious in nature. It seems that there must be some massive fiscal shift in their coverage and how their staff is educated. It seems as if their staff is trying to deny claims, in hopes people will get frustrated and give up.

I have an insurance background myself, and have been in the medical field for the past THIRTEEN YEARS. So yes, I understand how "the system" works. Companies such as this, will deny claims to build their coffers, until legal interactions have to take place, then they will settle out claims as quickly as possible, to save legal costs. Then, after you've had to pay for legal representation, you've paid FAR more money than your claim with Aflac was to settle. At work, we are currently in the process of dropping their coverage, due to many of our employees experiencing the same incredibly negative situations. I wouldn't be surprised if a class-action lawsuit arises against this company soon.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I purchase 2 Aflac insurance policies back in Aug 2017 for disability and hospital claims because I knew I needed both at the time because I was pregnant and the Aflac man promised everything was good and I would be straight when I went out work. Well that was a lie. I went out of work April 17 2018 thinking I'm gone get short term disability. I sent all paperwork that was supposed to be sent. At first they kept giving me the runaround. I'm calling every day checking and then 2 weeks later they denied my claim because they said I supposed to be on bed rest. Well why didn't the Aflac agent tell me that? I wouldn't even purchase this CRAP MAKING PEOPLE GET BEHIND ON BILLS BECAUSE OF Y'ALL LIES. THEN I HAD MY BABY ON May 9 2018 and sent my required documents for hospital claim on May 25 18.

Well it's been over 9 days. I called today and they haven't even processed my claim yet. He said 10-14 business days which is next Wednesday to review my claim but on the policy it say 4 business days. They giving me the runaround but I bet they not missing no payment they get every week. Mad??? customer. If I could give y'all a 0 I would. Believe that rip off waste of my time and money.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2018

My wife’s previous employer did not offer short term disability insurance so an Aflac rep. came to her work. The rep. sold nearly all of the employees on the scenario of having short term disability insurance for maternity leave. Being that most of the employees were female and in their 20s and 30s this was the perfect sales pitch.

We never missed a payment since the policy was purchased 4 years ago and notified Aflac each time my wife changed jobs and had salary changes. This time last year, we found out that we were going to be blessed with a child. We called Aflac to plan ahead and prepare to give them the proper documentation to file our claim. As the due date approached, my wife’s employer asked if she could sign a resignation letter so that they could get a replacement for her position. This was requested since we were planning to move out of state 2 months after the due date. Given that my wife must be employed for the policy to remain in effect, we told her boss that we needed to call Aflac to see if this would disqualify anything. After calling, we were told that this would not be an issue since the resignation was two business days prior to the due date.

We got all parties to fill out the documents provided in February of this year. After a week of processing, our claim was denied. We called and the reason for denial was due to lack of employment. After explaining the situation we were just told, "Sorry." I called again because I felt like it was impossible for a company to not hold their word and we got a different response... Now they were saying that our doctor did not provide the right information for the claim to be processed.

We called the doctor and she provided the requested information. After a week, the claim was denied once again. We called and we were told that the doctor needed to provide a list of the ADLs my wife could not perform due to having a cesarean section - this is where thing get a little more interesting because the forms that Aflac provided to us were not enough information for the claim to be processed. You read that right. The documents THEY gave to us were not sufficient for the claim to be resolved.

Once again, our doctor provided the requested list of ADLs and our claim was denied again. So we called Aflac again and we were told that we needed to get hospital notes that showed which ADLs could not be performed. If you are reading this and you are confused, let me clarify. The same information that our doctor provided in the list of ADLs needed to be provided via hospital notes. How this provides more proof or any additional information for the claim auditor to make a decision, is beyond me. We asked if the hospital discharge papers would suffice (since it gave directions as to what my wife could and could not do) and we were told no. Now if this couldn’t get more frustrating, we were told this past week that Aflac is looking into a claim that was filed last November for a back injury, which was surprising to us because we never filed a claim for a back injury because my wife never had a back injury.

So here we are, almost 5 months have passed, my wife has been trying to prove to Aflac that she had a baby via c-section, we have called Aflac at least once a week and we have continued payments (total of almost $2,400) in hopes that we will eventually provide enough information for our claim to be successful. Have you seen the recent advertisement for Aflac’s “one day pay”? Obviously this could never apply to us because each time we submitted paperwork, we were told to wait 3-4 business days for processing and review. Either we have been scammed by Aflac or the employees are severely incompetent because we have chased papers and played by their rules with no resolution.

For anyone considering short-term disability insurance with Aflac, I would recommend going in a different direction. We have notified my wife’s previous co-workers of our experience with Aflac and they were disheartened to learn that they have been paying on a policy that may never result in payment when it is needed most. No use in reaching out to me Aflac Phyllis. We are tired of the delay tactics that you have schemed to get more money out of our wallet.

Hello Taylor,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Taylor (3719542) June 7, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Aflac policyholders must provide their name & AT LEAST 2 of the following: Policy number, Claim number, Claim Check number, Date of Birth, or Name of your employer.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 6, 2018

I signed up for STD insurance to begin on May 1st because we were working on getting pregnant through physician assisted means. I was VERY specific with the agent with regard to procedure dates and he assured me that I would be covered. After becoming pregnant July 7th, I started really drilling down on my policy to MAKE SURE that I would be covered by sending the agent an email in December. Again, being VERY specific with due dates and the probability of early delivery dates (as a result of twins, which rarely make it to the due date) as well as the potential for complications such as being REQUIRED a C-Section (as this procedure was not wanted or a part of my birth plan, but medical staff continued to warn me of the possibilities), I asked the agent to verify that I would be covered based on this information.

Also in that email, I quoted the Aflac policy that a claim will be covered ONLY after 10 months of coverage, and STATED that this was contradictory to our discussion at the time of purchasing the policy. In response to that email, he congratulated me and once again confirmed to me that I WOULD still be covered based on these specific facts and criteria. Based on his response, I continued paying for my plan coverage. Had he responded with ANYTHING contradictory or questionable about the coverage, I would have cancelled the policy and not taken the time off. When the time came, everything happened exactly as I was warned by medical professionals. I delivered 19 days early and, after fighting off doctors for 23 hours of labor, finally consented to the dreaded C-Section.

Once I recovered somewhat, I submitted my claim and, you guessed it, was denied coverage by Aflac based on the precise policy that I quoted in the email to Dan **, agent. I continued to appeal the decision over and over for months. I was asked to provide additional information to Aflac with them stating that my C-section and early delivery was, get this, "elective". To which I responded in one appeal letter that I don't know any doctor who would jeopardize 2 infants' lives by "electing" deliver babies prematurely and placing them in the NICU - 1 for over 4 weeks.

And, additionally, if I needed to subpoena every staff member that I came in contact with for those 36 hours (complications arose prior to actual labor), who knew all too well that I did NOT want a C-section, I would certainly file a small claims suit and begin getting those affidavits in place. I even had to provide specific information about my case that was in direct violation of HIPAA standards. But because they continued to deny, I had no choice. Finally after a couple of months of appeals, I finally created a BBB Complaint both against Aflac and the agent directly, and conveyed to the agent that I would next be filing a small claims lawsuit naming him directly/individually (for his conveyance of coverage confirmation in December) and Aflac indirectly for the conditions/return of moneys and additional fees that the lawsuit would include. IT WAS AN UTTER NIGHTMARE.

To Aflac Phyllis, who appears to be responding. No response required. After all of these actions taken against the agent and Aflac, Aflac miraculously approved and paid the claim. This is to outline in detail why I am thoroughly and utterly disgusted both with the Agent's actions and Aflac's response in failing to uphold the policy he sold. This was only resolved yesterday, nearly 4 months after delivery and I have had late fees, finance charges and potential damage to my credit based on calls I've received for payment as a result of the lack of cash flow situation this put me in. I will be determining over the next couple of days whether or not I want to go ahead and submit all of my paperwork, letters, emails, and facts to the TN Dept of Commerce and Insurance to report this negligence so that they too may make a determination of fault.

Hello Leah,
I know you said no response is needed from me but I would love for Aflac to regain your trust. Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so we can see how to improve our process.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 5, 2018

I have filed a short term disability claim opened on March 5th, 2018. My physician inadvertently check permanent disability which did not apply on the claim form. 80 days later they requested a new claim form that has been submitted by fax and also to the agent. Aflac states the new documents have not been received. I have emailed both Aflac claims department and the agent and have not gotten a reply from either of them. There is also an issue with an accident claim that payment was issued for physical therapy but was not issued for the 2 back surgeries and an overnight hospital stay of which Aflac had all the records for!

Hello Richard,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Richard (3711913) June 5 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 4, 2018

Do not buy Aflac under any circumstances. They will promise you the world when you need them but will never be there for you. I was a loyal customer on time paying for 12 years and filed a claim which took 9 months for them to process. Their processing and organization is the worst and require you to do all the work and if you provide them with numerous repetitive documentation that they require, they still always deny your claim. Delay tactics is what they do to frustrate you and hopefully make you give them a reason to not pay what they promised. I was fortunate to be in a financial situation where I did not need to rely on the money, but most people rely on insurance to help them in time of need, THEY WON'T AND DONT CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY! They care about profits.

See if they keep you, if you don't pay as a policy holder, they expect you to pay on time but to pay YOU, they make you wait and wait and then deny your claim. They are a SCAM company! Conclusion: Save your money and rely on yourself and don't feed into their profits and lack of professionalism. The Company is incompetent and doesn't care about you and the needs of your family. THEY ONLY COVER ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.

Hello Frank,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Frank (3710968) June 5 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have been trying to file a claim with Aflac for the last 4 or 5 weeks. Every time I call no one can find the numerous faxes or emails I have sent with all my forms. And my agent has not answered or returned my calls. I cannot return to work for another month and have bills that need to be paid and apparently Aflac cannot be depended on to file your claim as fast as they advertise or for that matter honor your claim at all. Also, my company has included Aflac in our insurance that we pay for. Ben extend I think is what they called it, so we have that PLUS I also pay for the traditional Aflac, every payday the money comes out of my check for me and my spouse but they can't find that either. As far as they are concerned I have the "group coverage" which pays little to nothing compared to the traditional and that is why I also added the traditional!

I may have to take my paycheck stubs and all my paperwork to a lawyer, the stress over all this is not helping my condition any. As far as keeping Aflac during next open enrollment... I don't think so. Aflac is not worth the money you pay out of your check every payday. They are not dependable and their advertisements are full of misleading lies. They can't even find claims in their system let alone pay them. Better off to go with someone else other than Aflac.

Hello Yvette,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Yvette (3701746) June 1 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: June 1, 2018

I was going to sign up for Aflac but each time I speak with a representative I get a dozen different answers. I have also asked for a pdf of the policies to be sent to me so I can read and then decide what to do. Also, if I read the policies it will open up my questions which I would like to be answered. Please have someone from the true corporate service policy area email me back. Thank you.

Hello S,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: S (3700144) June 1 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have had Aflac for two year. And have used Aflac once. This is the second time for me to use Aflac. I was in a car accident and have a traumatic brain injury. I have been sending the Aflac agent in Orange County all my medical paperwork so that Aflac can process my claim. And every time I talk to the agent, I am told that she will call Aflac to see what is going on with my claim for traumatic brain injury. And I never hear from them again. I have been at home for 2 months and going on three months and I still have not heard or seen anything for my injury. Note Aflac did pay my Kaiser copay but that was it. I was under the impression they would be paying me while I am off work recovering from my injuries. Isn't that why we pay for Aflac to cover the client (s) when they are injured. ** was for the Kaiser copay.

Hello Jim,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Obioma (3698065) June 1 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 31, 2018

I am a new customer to AFLAC, and my first experience with a claim representative was horrible. I was in the Emergency Room for chest pains and shortness of breath. My blood pressure was 200/100, so they admitted me for a possible Heart Attack. I was in the hospital for 5 days, including out of work. I contacted my AFLAC representative for a claim, and I was denied due to my stay was not 7 days or more. My representative explained to me she will have to go back and resubmit the claim, and that was the last I heard from her, and it's been a month.

I've emailed her 6 times now, and there is still no response. Plus, the payroll deductions that was first quoted to me are not was being deducted from my payroll. They are double the amount from the initial quote. Once again, contacted my AFLAC Representative, and no response. I am as of today canceling my policy with them. They are not as reliable as I thought, and after reading the reviews, it seems like I am not the only one who feels this way. Big disappointment! Do not invest your hard earned money into this company! The commercials are nothing but a lie!

Hello Trina,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Trina (3695737) May 31, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 30, 2018

Signed up for Aflac through work. Typical salesman... Lies... Lies... Lies. Had surgery on the 8th. All required Aflac paperwork submitted by the 10th. Today is the 29th. Still no payment of benefits. I call Aflac. They tell me my claim is on hold. I called the agent who sold the policy and she tells me it's not on hold yet can't tell me when I will receive payment. Nobody at this company has proven to be competent. Lights getting ready to be shut off and the kid is starving. Buyer beware before enrolling with this company.

Updated on 06/02/2018: Round 54 with Aflac... So after 6 weeks of trying to get paid my short term disability... I get an email from the salesperson telling me the doctor did not fill out my return to work date. Rewind to day 3 after my surgery... The Aflac physician from does not require a return to work date in order to be paid. Doctors are smart and good but they can't predict the future. They can only determine a return to work date after a few follow up visits to give a specific release date. So now Aflac blames the physician for why they have not sent my biweekly pay. Is it not common sense that doctors can't predict an exact date to return to work after a major surgery? All doctors can do is give an estimated timeframe based on their past experiences of previous patients who undergo the same surgery. This is again pure thievery by Aflac. Smh.

Hello Deana,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Deana (3693109) May 30, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 30, 2018

So I signed up for short term disability in hopes that one day I could have some help if I needed it for bills should I have an emergency which is exactly how they explained this would work for me. Well... in March I had an emergency C-section and my son and I nearly died. Thankfully we’re fine. I had nearly forgotten I had the policy because I was really messed up from the whole ordeal and having a 2 month premature baby in the NICU will do that to you, however, my husband reminded that we had that and I needed to file which I immediately did because some hardships had us in a bind with our money and we didn’t want to lose our apartment because we had nowhere to live in that city where our child was hospitalized.

When I filed I was told it wouldn’t be long and I was hoping that was true. Well 1 month later we had to move to Alabama suddenly because guess what we lost our apartment. It was horrible. I was already going through the worst time and then that happened. Well the family member couldn’t keep us long and we had to move to Mississippi and we’ve been living here since waiting on this check to arrive that I doubt is coming now because it’s almost the end of May. My husband who drove for a living lost his job basically because we aren’t living in a big enough city for Uber. So for over a month now we’ve been trying to live on no income with bills and life saving medicine we need and it’s so stressful.

We lost our apartment which costed us my husband’s job. We are about to lose our car because we don’t have any money and as I said we were already struggling and that was behind. We lost our car insurance because hello no money! We lost a lot of our things from pawning them off and not being able to make payments. Nice things that I worked hard for. Now I don’t know if I can afford my life saving medicine because it’s been 2 months and I’ve lost medical assistance and my medicines have gone up and I have no money and because of my surgery I can’t work. My husband hasn’t found a job yet because the economy sucks.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to feed my child if I get kicked out of here and there’s only so long I can say the money is coming the money is coming. This company has told me the money was only a few days away a million times. I’m so over them. I’ll shout it from the rooftops that these people are liars! They take your money and run!!! I feel abandoned by empty promises!!! Save your money and don’t use them for anything!

Hello Stephanie,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Stephanie (3690715) May 30, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 28, 2018

I was sold the policy from a sales rep saying that if I were admitted into a hospital for 24 hours or more, they would pay the benefit. I had a gastric sleeve done to treat my fatty liver disease. Apparently, this is part of the exclusions that allow them to deny benefits. So I got denied my clam the first time because when I submitted it, I didn't explain clear enough it wasn't for weight loss, but to address the fatty liver issues and see if I had cancer. I sent in an appeal letter. They never processed my appeal because I didn't include a formal letter saying I wanted to appeal the claim denial decision. I only found out it wasn't processed because on day 40 of my 45 day period on when I was supposed to hear about their decision on the claim, I called.

The rep on the phone couldn't answer my simple question on when and why didn't they call me 40 days ago to let me know my claim appeal was incomplete. To pour salt on an open wound, I finally got back a decision on my appeal. It was denied. Here is the reason. "We will not pay benefits for the loss contributed to, caused by, or resulting from: treatment for being overweight, gastric bypass, stapling, intestinal bypass, and any related procedures, including complications." So I asked the rep, "If I had a heart attack, AFLAC can deny a claim I admit because they could say, I had the heart attack because I'm overweight?" The rep wouldn't give me a straight answer. My policy is useless to me. So now I'm looking for an attorney and I want back my wasted premiums.

Hello Obioma,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Obioma (3687415) May 28 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 25, 2018

On April 29, 2018 my husband broke his right foot at home. He went to the ER the next day. Two days later I put in a claim for Aflac. Two times he has been denied. They state that his break is from diabetes. They knew he was a diabetic when we started with Aflac. They are now using it as an excuse to deny all claims. This is not fair. His break has to do with him not acting his age and playing rough with the kids. Do not waste your time or money with this scam.

Hello Rachel,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Rachel (3675256) May 24 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 25, 2018

Aflac is a reliable, honest company. My mom had Aflac for over two decades prior to me enrolling through my work 7 years ago. It helped her through some really tough times when we were younger, and has helped me significantly the past few years. They pay claims quickly and effectively communicate about any missing documentation for a claim.

My most recent claim was submitted via the new app for iPhone and was paid in ONE DAY. My Aflac money was deposited before I even got the hospital bill in the mail. It is frustrating to see all the negative reviews on this site. Aflac saved my family from bankruptcy a few years ago and has been a very positive staple to my family financial security.

My only recommendation is that you be an educated consumer, as one always should be. Read and understand your policy before enrolling. Aflac does not hide the waiting periods for pre-existing conditions or any exclusions to a policy. Blindly buying any product or service is most likely always going to end poorly. Make sure you have a good rep- not all reps are the same unfortunately. The 800 number is very helpful. My opinion is the accident and cancer policies are the best value.

Hello Kelly,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.

Thank you so much for sharing your family's Aflac experience!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 24, 2018

I submitted a request for claim to be paid and it was denied. I submitted all the forms and paperwork as well as contact info for every doctor, MRI and hospital stay I had a bill from. I resubmitted with additional info again denied. I have now filed an appeal where I actually drew arrows next to dates and codes to get their attention so they read that I was within the 72 hours to see a doctor and I had surgery not just a quick appointment and sent home. I am hopeful that someone actually takes time to do a good review and accept and pay the claim as it should be paid. The only contact they attempt to make is mailing me letters telling me they denied my claim. I am very disappointed in AFLAC especially since this was my first time having their service and had been told it was great. I would not currently recommend this service to any of my family or friends.

Hello Diane,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Diane(3675256) May 24 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 22, 2018

If I could give less than 1 star I would. Surgery on 3/8, claim still not processed. Called today told claim closed, will be reopened though they acknowledge they received all required. Will be reopened and reviewed in 3 days. Not optimistic that I will ever get my claim paid. Feels like a scam. You are better literally taking the money you spend on Aflac and putting it in a savings account every month. I wish I had come to C.A. before I signed up. I definitely would not have as it looks like I am not alone.

Hello Andrea,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Andrea (3669091) May 22, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 22, 2018

I signed up for Aflac in 2014 for a short term disability policy to cover maternity leave when we decided to have kids. My daughter was born in Feb 2018 and I filled out all the necessary paperwork to Aflac. I had contacted them prior to let them know that I had to resign from my job 4 business days before my due date because my family would be relocating to another state after my maternity leave. I was told it would be no problem. My first claim was denied because I was not employed. I spoke with a representative and they said it should not have been denied if I met the requirements of needing assistance with at least 3 ADLs.

On my second claim, my doctor provided information about my c section and Aflac denied it again stating they wanted an exact list of ADLs from my doctor. We are currently on the 3rd claim and my doctor has provided 6 pages of documentation to them. I have recently received a letter stating they don’t need the ADLs, they need more doctor's notes from my hospital stay to verify. My daughter is almost 4 months old and we have been in contact with Aflac every week. It’s very frustrating that we were counting on this coverage for my maternity leave and we have provided each type of document requested. My family and I will never work with Aflac again or recommend it to anyone we know.

Hello Hannah,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Hannah (3667603) May 22, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Original review: May 22, 2018

I had a partial hysterectomy in May 2016. I signed up for my policy in April 2016 to make sure my family would not be without financially lacking. When I signed up for the policy AFLAC agent, Mr. Randy ** of Northport, AL, did not informed that I could not use my policy with the first thirty (30) days of purchasing it. I contacted AFLAC customer services and talk to one of their representatives to find out was there a limit on the years after my surgery of filing my claim and she said no. So I filed my claim two (2) years later and my claim was denied. That I don't understand. I have paid this policy for two (2) years and when I decide to file, I am denied. What is the use of the policy, if when you file a claim that you are denied. Buyers beware. Your claim probably will not be paid!!!

Hello Yulanda,
I'm Aflac Phyllis, an Aflac worldwide headquarters employee here to help.
Please email aflacservice@aflac.com so Aflac's Contact Center can look into this for you. Please include the following in the subject line of your email: Yulanda (3666439) May 22, 2018, consumeraffairs.com post, and explain your concerns

Aflac expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Aflac is one of the best known American insurance companies. It offers various types of insurance, including disability insurance.

• Real cost calculator online: Users can calculate the probable cost of medical care for injuries or illnesses prior to beginning a claim.

• Health insurance as well as disability insurance: Users can purchase insurance to cover specific medical conditions or general medical care as well as disability insurance.

• Short-term disability insurance available: sers can get short-term insurance to cover them when a temporarily disabling condition hits.

• Lump-sum policies cover long-term illness: Although Aflac doesn't offer long-term disability insurance, users can get a lump-sum benefit for a critical illness, allowing them to continue to support themselves.

• Rapid online claims processing: Users can file claims online and upload documents to get their benefits within 24 hours.

• Best for: People who have been injured, people recovering from surgery and people with a chronic condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky