Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

1.5/5 (143 ratings)

About Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I started a policy with Colonial Life at the end of last year. I pay them every week, relieved to have some sort of safety net for my five kids. That all changed this last month. After having sustained a major injury at the beginning of June, completely severing my hamstring from my pelvis requiring screw reattachment, I have changed my mind. Though I have received partial payment, I'm still waiting on six weeks of payment, pending when they receive information. Problem being, that they've "not received" at least 5 faxes from both my employer and physician.

Took me 2 weeks of calling back every 3 days and a live chat to finally get an email. Upon informing my employer to resend, was told another individual in my company was also having issues with their information being received. After inquiring several times, I still have no answer to why faxes are not being received or reviewed. I will be canceling my policy as soon as my claim is paid. Better off stashing that 100 bucks a month in savings for your own safety, than letting others play with your money.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I was put into contact with a representative for this company through my employer. They would not stop arguing that they were 100% better than my existing health plan and that I will almost certainly be left for dead if I did not sign up with them then and there. Absolutely abhorrent behavior, using fear tactics to make a profit on a social necessity. They hung up abruptly when I mentioned I did already have healthcare covering all my needs for the 5th time, without explaining any of the other benefits they had. The lady I spoke with was so annoying and bent on feeding me ** "I've been in healthcare for 20 years. You are wrong". This middleman industry needs to die.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Absolutely the WORST experience you will ever receive if you utilize Colonial Accident supplemental insurance. Customer Service & transparency with this company is a joke. After being a 30 yr customer unfortunately the situation arose where I sustained serious injury & had to rely on payment from my supplemental plan. Each month I had to contact Customer Support and have a shouting match to track down my payment. The original anticipated date for my return to work was met but extended due to complications pending additional surgery. The information was immediately faxed to Colonial (twice) since they conveniently lost the original after leaving the Surgeon’s Office. Now here I am with no explanation of why there is a lapse in my payments other than it takes 8 business days to process a claim for the exact same injury I am still recovering from.

Original review: April 9, 2021

What a shock when I called Colonial Penn in September 2020 to examine their $9.95 guaranteed acceptance life insurance. What I didn't know is the call "for FREE information" is treated as an "electronic application" and my 30-day "no-risk" money-back guarantee is an illusion. To be brief: I reviewed the $9.95 policy and another policy and returned all materials within 24 hours asking for my refunds. They did not respond. I disputed the charges immediately and, after making multiple calls I filed a complaint to the Ohio Dept. of Insurance after which all monies were returned to my credit card. I was relieved. My nightmare was over--or, so I thought.

Fast forward to February, 2021 and Colonial Penn charged my card without authorization. It's fraud. I reopened the ODI case. I filed another dispute with my credit card company. April, 2021 they refunded the charge. The problem? They refunded the charge four (4) times creating a credit. I alerted the credit card company to return the money. Not easy, they said, because Colonial Penn paid the money--not the credit card company. Because I feared they could arbitrarily access my account to recoup the overpayment without my knowledge cases are reopened at the ODI and at the credit card company. Two separate investigations are ongoing as I write this.

After discovering multiple complaints at this site and others I wish I'd never made the first call. This company's "guaranteed acceptance" translates to them taking money for 24 months under their "limited benefits the first two years" with no benefit whatsoever if the insured dies before the 24th month! If it's later they do not pay the face value--only you won't know that until you try to file a claim--and long after you've paid premiums regularly. Read other posts on this site. You pay premiums for 24 months and you are not covered! Your beneficiary will receive what is called a "Graded Death Benefit." Look it up and run. Do not walk the other way. Look elsewhere on the Internet. You will find the company does one of two things. Some consumers are treated well. Others are treated abominably. Avoid any "guaranteed acceptance" garbage. If it sounds too good to be true...

Original review: March 25, 2021

DO NOT BUY- BEWARE!!! My father purchased life insurance over 10 years ago, has well paid in close to 10,000 - yesterday he gets a letter saying to keep his policy the premium will go up - get this- $75 MORE than what he has been paying. And if he cancels, he will only get a little under $900 back. So they made a profit off $9100 off my dad. Sad how these companies take advantage of our elderly people!! SHAME!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I see so many negative reviews that I wanted to share my personal experience. Unlike others, I had a great experience. I turned in my claim a week before I had surgery. I gave all the info they requested on the form. They provided me daily updates via phone/email/text. They paid my claim 6 days after my surgery and paid the short term disability for a month out. It could not have been easier. I think most people get frustrated because they don't read/understand the fine print about pre-existing conditions, fill out the paperwork entirely, and wait until the last minute to submit their claim. I could not be happier with my claim and service. Thank you Colonial Life!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I spoke with a representative about trying to get pregnant and he informed me that I would receive coverage as long as I wasn't knowingly pregnant before my coverage began in January 2020. I had my first confirmed ultrasound and dr appointment on January 24th, 2020. ALSO he told me that I would receive $1,500 for hospital confinement if it was over 24 hours.

So, I was shocked when I submitted a claim in August for both of these, expecting to receive gap coverage during my disability leave and all of them were DENIED. I was one month too early to receive coverage, and since the hospital confinement was pregnancy related they would not pay for that policy coverage either. So, I had been paying hundreds of dollars for absolutely no reason. This is just another way that insurance companies take your money and don't care about the consumer. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND JUST POCKET A COUPLE HUNDRED EACH MONTH VS GOING WITH THIS SHADY COMPANY.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Colonial Supplemental Life is filled with people who care about people; especially Marlene **. Marlene ** treated me with great care and respect; My previous agent Robert ** was like family to me before he passed away. I not only have a life insurance policy but I also have an emergency monetary source if I should ever need it.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

Pay premiums for years then when you're off for just three months because of an accident they have all these forms to be filled out over and over by you, your Dr. and employer which gets sent to all different people at each place and takes each time to complete and by the time you're on the third month the first finally gets through. Then the others are en route to be filled out again, just many hoops to jump through. Even the Dr's. Office commented on the hoops and paperwork involved from this company. I’m still unsure if I’ll ever get paid.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Bought universal life in 1992 for my husband. The agent did not tell me that when my husband reached age 80, the premium would jump so high it was not affordable. Nowhere in the policy can anyone understand this practice either. Do not purchase from these people. The policy is not even worth 200.00 dollars now. God should have his wrath on them.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Company Information