Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

1.5/5 (140 ratings)

About Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Insurance?

Original review: April 9, 2021

What a shock when I called Colonial Penn in September 2020 to examine their $9.95 guaranteed acceptance life insurance. What I didn't know is the call "for FREE information" is treated as an "electronic application" and my 30-day "no-risk" money-back guarantee is an illusion. To be brief: I reviewed the $9.95 policy and another policy and returned all materials within 24 hours asking for my refunds. They did not respond. I disputed the charges immediately and, after making multiple calls I filed a complaint to the Ohio Dept. of Insurance after which all monies were returned to my credit card. I was relieved. My nightmare was over--or, so I thought.

Fast forward to February, 2021 and Colonial Penn charged my card without authorization. It's fraud. I reopened the ODI case. I filed another dispute with my credit card company. April, 2021 they refunded the charge. The problem? They refunded the charge four (4) times creating a credit. I alerted the credit card company to return the money. Not easy, they said, because Colonial Penn paid the money--not the credit card company. Because I feared they could arbitrarily access my account to recoup the overpayment without my knowledge cases are reopened at the ODI and at the credit card company. Two separate investigations are ongoing as I write this.

After discovering multiple complaints at this site and others I wish I'd never made the first call. This company's "guaranteed acceptance" translates to them taking money for 24 months under their "limited benefits the first two years" with no benefit whatsoever if the insured dies before the 24th month! If it's later they do not pay the face value--only you won't know that until you try to file a claim--and long after you've paid premiums regularly. Read other posts on this site. You pay premiums for 24 months and you are not covered! Your beneficiary will receive what is called a "Graded Death Benefit." Look it up and run. Do not walk the other way. Look elsewhere on the Internet. You will find the company does one of two things. Some consumers are treated well. Others are treated abominably. Avoid any "guaranteed acceptance" garbage. If it sounds too good to be true...

Original review: March 25, 2021

DO NOT BUY- BEWARE!!! My father purchased life insurance over 10 years ago, has well paid in close to 10,000 - yesterday he gets a letter saying to keep his policy the premium will go up - get this- $75 MORE than what he has been paying. And if he cancels, he will only get a little under $900 back. So they made a profit off $9100 off my dad. Sad how these companies take advantage of our elderly people!! SHAME!

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I spoke with a representative about trying to get pregnant and he informed me that I would receive coverage as long as I wasn't knowingly pregnant before my coverage began in January 2020. I had my first confirmed ultrasound and dr appointment on January 24th, 2020. ALSO he told me that I would receive $1,500 for hospital confinement if it was over 24 hours.

So, I was shocked when I submitted a claim in August for both of these, expecting to receive gap coverage during my disability leave and all of them were DENIED. I was one month too early to receive coverage, and since the hospital confinement was pregnancy related they would not pay for that policy coverage either. So, I had been paying hundreds of dollars for absolutely no reason. This is just another way that insurance companies take your money and don't care about the consumer. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND JUST POCKET A COUPLE HUNDRED EACH MONTH VS GOING WITH THIS SHADY COMPANY.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

Pay premiums for years then when you're off for just three months because of an accident they have all these forms to be filled out over and over by you, your Dr. and employer which gets sent to all different people at each place and takes each time to complete and by the time you're on the third month the first finally gets through. Then the others are en route to be filled out again, just many hoops to jump through. Even the Dr's. Office commented on the hoops and paperwork involved from this company. I’m still unsure if I’ll ever get paid.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Bought universal life in 1992 for my husband. The agent did not tell me that when my husband reached age 80, the premium would jump so high it was not affordable. Nowhere in the policy can anyone understand this practice either. Do not purchase from these people. The policy is not even worth 200.00 dollars now. God should have his wrath on them.

Original review: June 10, 2020

If I could give them (0) stars, I would. I signed up for multiple coverages, accidental, disability, cancer etc. just to have a small safety net in case something happened to me or my daughter. Well in Dec of 2019, I was walking and somehow ended up tearing my right MCL, visited the orthopedic doctor day of injury, have been under his care, MRI showed the tear, did the orthopedic operation, and am still under his care and doing physical therapy. When I tried to make a claim under my accidental injury insurance, Colonial denied claim for out of pocket expenses, roughly $5K to $8K. Colonial said that the injury was not an accident, nor a sickness since I showed some arthritis. They refused to pay anything. I appealed and they still denied benefits. Company such doesn't have an issue taking premiums but finds any reason possible to deny claims. Will inform my company and friends of their practices.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I was a customer with this company for almost a year, so I only lost $1000. Glad I found out now instead of years down the road. I got their temporary disability plan as a safety net for myself. I learned I needed a total left hip replacement back in February. Before I even started I talked to TWO different ladies at this company, two different occasions, two different days to see if I was eligible and was told the exact same thing both times. Which of course there is no proof of even with their quality control taping for assurance line of bull. "Sure, Mary, ya can draw before surgery and $900 a month for up to six months afterward. NO PROBLEM." Well, no problem turned into a NO before surgery because I had a right hip operation 6 years before. Even though their own rules state, you can't have a preexisting condition for a year before the policy--they kept giving me the run around. They requested paperwork after paperwork.

I more than proved it wasn't preexisting in that hip within their time frame. Contact us after the surgery. I even got a Dr's excuse to be off work. Surgery was postpone because of Covid-19 'til May 5. April 27th, they operated. I have been since then trying to get compensated. I have sent medical records, x rays, pay stubs, work releases--TWICE. They are STILL pushing pre-existing condition. When I threatened to go to Aflac with the next payment and a lawyer, I gave them a time limit to give me a definite answer. Five days later, they told me they were calling my Primary and the surgeon for my medical records that I already uploaded TWICE--guess they thought I made them up-- and I was to file out the Universal Claim form and they would give me an answer in several weeks; just enough time to scam another payment out of me for nothing!

I would be healed and back to work before this even got going! That's what they want so they don't need to pay. In this Universal Claim Form for MAYBE 2 months temporary disability I was expected to provide the hospital bill, medical bills, anesthesia bill, daily room charges, medical expense, names and phone numbers of every person I've been in contact with concerning this left hip clear back to 2018. They aren't PAYING this--it's paid thru somebody else. They wanted my job information, hours worked, what I did at that job, how long and my job does not PAY for this policy. I do. They wanted repeated signatures from my Dr's and leave of work or when anticipated return to work notes were not good enough.

They asked questions like was I under anesthesia and was it by a licensed person. (No, they gave me a short of whiskey & told me to hold my breath.) Wanted to know how freaking long I sat in the recovery room, (Seriously) how many visits I talked with my Dr after the operation, and was the patient kept in confinement at the house or in the yard. (Yeah, my husband tied me to the dog box when I came home!)

To talk to a person is short lived with bull answers and when you email them it's impossible to read your emails after they are sent. You also can't print them off to have proof of the whole conversation. There's is no place on the web page to cancel your policies so I guess the only way now is stop this bull crap--is stop payment on the money coming out of my checking account because I refuse to give them another dime especially when my daughter was off for two weeks with a sinus infection and ONE phone call to their competitor company --she had a check within the week for a sinus infection! I had total hip replacement and it's song & dance bull circus. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT invest your safety net into this company!

Resolution response: March 25, 2020

I posted the other day saying Colonial would not pay on my cancer policy. Well, after a lot of back and forth and many emails to the company I rec'd an email today saying my claim would be paid. I credit my Rep with getting this done but the process took a long time. Still, had I not fought it I would not have been paid. There's no reason I had to jump through hoops but am glad they paid.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I have been a client for many years. Have received payments on cancer claims in the past without too much trouble. I was told by my doctor I had Stage 0 cancer, went in for lumpectomy and came back Stage 1 so I needed a mastectomy. They will not pay my claim for the mastectomy because they say I didn't have cancer. Well, technically the lumpectomy removed it but I had no choice but to get the mastectomy because I had radiation before and it could not be done again. My pre & post diagnosis after mastectomy was breast cancer....and they won't pay. Well, I'm canceling and will sing it from the roof tops, don't trust them!!!!

Original review: March 16, 2020

I paid this company for over twenty five years for life insurance. All they did was increase my premiums until the value was not worth continuing. Big ripoff. They calculate and increase your premiums until continuing with policy is senseless.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I have had Colonial life for several years (over 15). I have filed cancer, sickness, and accident claims and have always got prompt settlements. I received notifications when my claim was received and also when they mailed the payments. The mail claims that I sent were usually about a 10 -14 day turnaround and the faxed claims were about half that. I am very pleased with Colonial life and would recommend it to anyone. Jim, Bryson City, NC.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Company Information