Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.47/5

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Insurance?

Original review: July 12, 2020

Bought universal life in 1992 for my husband. The agent did not tell me that when my husband reached age 80, the premium would jump so high it was not affordable. Nowhere in the policy can anyone understand this practice either. Do not purchase from these people. The policy is not even worth 200.00 dollars now. God should have his wrath on them.

Original review: June 10, 2020

If I could give them (0) stars, I would. I signed up for multiple coverages, accidental, disability, cancer etc. just to have a small safety net in case something happened to me or my daughter. Well in Dec of 2019, I was walking and somehow ended up tearing my right MCL, visited the orthopedic doctor day of injury, have been under his care, MRI showed the tear, did the orthopedic operation, and am still under his care and doing physical therapy. When I tried to make a claim under my accidental injury insurance, Colonial denied claim for out of pocket expenses, roughly $5K to $8K. Colonial said that the injury was not an accident, nor a sickness since I showed some arthritis. They refused to pay anything. I appealed and they still denied benefits. Company such doesn't have an issue taking premiums but finds any reason possible to deny claims. Will inform my company and friends of their practices.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I was a customer with this company for almost a year, so I only lost $1000. Glad I found out now instead of years down the road. I got their temporary disability plan as a safety net for myself. I learned I needed a total left hip replacement back in February. Before I even started I talked to TWO different ladies at this company, two different occasions, two different days to see if I was eligible and was told the exact same thing both times. Which of course there is no proof of even with their quality control taping for assurance line of bull. "Sure, Mary, ya can draw before surgery and $900 a month for up to six months afterward. NO PROBLEM." Well, no problem turned into a NO before surgery because I had a right hip operation 6 years before. Even though their own rules state, you can't have a preexisting condition for a year before the policy--they kept giving me the run around. They requested paperwork after paperwork.

I more than proved it wasn't preexisting in that hip within their time frame. Contact us after the surgery. I even got a Dr's excuse to be off work. Surgery was postpone because of Covid-19 'til May 5. April 27th, they operated. I have been since then trying to get compensated. I have sent medical records, x rays, pay stubs, work releases--TWICE. They are STILL pushing pre-existing condition. When I threatened to go to Aflac with the next payment and a lawyer, I gave them a time limit to give me a definite answer. Five days later, they told me they were calling my Primary and the surgeon for my medical records that I already uploaded TWICE--guess they thought I made them up-- and I was to file out the Universal Claim form and they would give me an answer in several weeks; just enough time to scam another payment out of me for nothing!

I would be healed and back to work before this even got going! That's what they want so they don't need to pay. In this Universal Claim Form for MAYBE 2 months temporary disability I was expected to provide the hospital bill, medical bills, anesthesia bill, daily room charges, medical expense, names and phone numbers of every person I've been in contact with concerning this left hip clear back to 2018. They aren't PAYING this--it's paid thru somebody else. They wanted my job information, hours worked, what I did at that job, how long and my job does not PAY for this policy. I do. They wanted repeated signatures from my Dr's and leave of work or when anticipated return to work notes were not good enough.

They asked questions like was I under anesthesia and was it by a licensed person. (No, they gave me a short of whiskey & told me to hold my breath.) Wanted to know how freaking long I sat in the recovery room, (Seriously) how many visits I talked with my Dr after the operation, and was the patient kept in confinement at the house or in the yard. (Yeah, my husband tied me to the dog box when I came home!)

To talk to a person is short lived with bull answers and when you email them it's impossible to read your emails after they are sent. You also can't print them off to have proof of the whole conversation. There's is no place on the web page to cancel your policies so I guess the only way now is stop this bull crap--is stop payment on the money coming out of my checking account because I refuse to give them another dime especially when my daughter was off for two weeks with a sinus infection and ONE phone call to their competitor company --she had a check within the week for a sinus infection! I had total hip replacement and it's song & dance bull circus. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT invest your safety net into this company!

Resolution response: March 25, 2020

I posted the other day saying Colonial would not pay on my cancer policy. Well, after a lot of back and forth and many emails to the company I rec'd an email today saying my claim would be paid. I credit my Rep with getting this done but the process took a long time. Still, had I not fought it I would not have been paid. There's no reason I had to jump through hoops but am glad they paid.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I have been a client for many years. Have received payments on cancer claims in the past without too much trouble. I was told by my doctor I had Stage 0 cancer, went in for lumpectomy and came back Stage 1 so I needed a mastectomy. They will not pay my claim for the mastectomy because they say I didn't have cancer. Well, technically the lumpectomy removed it but I had no choice but to get the mastectomy because I had radiation before and it could not be done again. My pre & post diagnosis after mastectomy was breast cancer....and they won't pay. Well, I'm canceling and will sing it from the roof tops, don't trust them!!!!

Original review: March 16, 2020

I paid this company for over twenty five years for life insurance. All they did was increase my premiums until the value was not worth continuing. Big ripoff. They calculate and increase your premiums until continuing with policy is senseless.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

I have had Colonial life for several years (over 15). I have filed cancer, sickness, and accident claims and have always got prompt settlements. I received notifications when my claim was received and also when they mailed the payments. The mail claims that I sent were usually about a 10 -14 day turnaround and the faxed claims were about half that. I am very pleased with Colonial life and would recommend it to anyone. Jim, Bryson City, NC.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Good luck trying to cancel with them. You'll get more run around then trying to make a claim! It's such a shame this company has no interest in being a good, trustworthy company. If they were, they'd probably get more customers and make more money. Not worth it!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My son had an accident on 3/25/19. I filed a claim on 10/8/19 and it was effortless. About 2 weeks later, I had money in account and multiple emails alerting me that the funds had been deposited. He had a bill from physical therapy that I was able to pay as well as help him with other things that he needed. I even received another payment that I wasn't expecting. They sent an email notifying me that I had another deposit coming my way. I hope they keep up the good work.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I got this insurance from work. I became sick with cancer and made a claim. They paid me less than the cost of one chemotherapy infusion and called it "a lifetime payout" and gave me the run-around about the documents they needed. They made it sound wonderful when I first signed up, that they covered everything but it was all a big lie!!! Example, they pay for "doctor visits," yeah a whooping $25.00...keep in mind you can only claim once a year for doctor visits. Basically, you can't rely on them during hardtimes!!

When you try to cancel your policy the give you more of a run-around. They are still taking payments out of my check yet I have received my "lifetime payout." How is that possible? Scam!!!!! I'm having the worst time of my life and they aren't helping me through this like they said they would. Colonial Life policies are worthless!!!! Don't sign up no matter how great they make it sound!!!!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I experienced a heart related problem on 6/28/19. I was taken to the Emergency Room and ultimately admitted for a battery of tests. Upon my release from the hospital I filed a claim on 7/1/19 with their online website. Since then I have made 23 additional emails and spent nearly 10 hours on the phone with their various reps. I have been told by reps that I am due a payment of some $1200.00. However, 3 months later they have yet to send a payment. Every time I call to inquire they have some new excuse. They include "we had a building emergency had had to close for a day, We are under new management, Your check is going out tomorrow and we have no record that you ever went to the hospital." Meanwhile I am sitting on a hospital bill of some $9000.00. I spent another 2 and a half hours on the phone with them yesterday and I was told they are "reviewing" my claim.

I have been a customer for over 3 years. I have been paying them $230.00 per month in premiums, that's over $8000.00. I am still pursuing a claim but I have cancelled the policies with them for failure to produce. I called AFLAC to get pricing from them. Although I will not get the 25% discount for having a payroll deduction, the price is only $244.00 for the exact same policies. I work for the Pa Department of Correction and have notified our union (PSCOA) to begin the process of eliminating Colonial Life and reintroducing AFLAC. I recommend that all parties stay away from COLONIAL LIFE. This company has gotten so many calls to cancel policies that they made it option 5 on the automated receptionist. They are free to contact me to verify all that I have experienced to date, but they already have my phone number and will only call to give yet another excuse.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Company Information