Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

1.5/5 (149 ratings)

About Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Insurance?

Original review: April 18, 2022

Beware on this Company. I have been paying for Accident and Sickness insurance since 2003 and thought since I work in Law Enforcement it would be a good idea to have it. I haven't had the opportunity to use it much (which is a good thing) but I believed it to be good to have just in case. Fortunately, I didn't get hurt at work, just sick from the Covid-19. I was tested at work with the rapid and PC test and had tested positive and had multiple symptoms. Work made me stay home so I applied for my Colonial Life benefits. I had to be symptom free and test negative to return to work. I kept testing positive and had symptoms...

My Human Resources informed Colonial Life that I was out of work from 1/3/22 to 1/26/22.. 23 days. Colonial life only wanted to pay for 7 days even though
my Human Resources confirmed the dates I was out. The District Manager, Gordon **, tried helping. Gordon informed me I had to get a Doctor to sign off

on it, or a Nurse Practitioner. Impossible to see a Doctor or Nurse practitioner when you're sick with Covid-19 unless you're dying, which I wasn't. Colonial Life refused to pay for the entire time I was out, even though my policy is covered for short term (6 months).

After a few tries with the help of Gordon **, the Appeals Department of course denied the claim because like all insurance companies, they find a reason not to pay. It's not a huge amount of money, it's the principle of not being able to use a policy you have been paying on for almost 20 years. AGAIN, BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 12, 2022

Please keep in mind that this company is NOT Colonial Penn, as other reviewers have stated. I purchased Accident, Cancer, STD and Life plans in 2006 through my employer. Unfortunately, I have had to use my accident, STD and cancer (twice) plans over the years. I have been very pleased with the claims process and the timeliness of payment every time. Also, when you call customer service, you do not have to hold for 90 mins like is typical with my AFLAC policy. They do require a lot of paperwork for STD claims, but no more than AFLAC or other STD carriers. Also, a lot of times it is the doctor's offices that delay STD claim payments by not responding in a timely fashion.

Get buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

They do not attempt to expedite anything and delay the process far too long. I am trying to get a letter showing cash value. It's been almost 2 1/2 weeks and still nothing. Two other insurance companies turned around in 1 day and 2 days for the other. Excellent service and they actually cared. Can't say that for Colonial. I wouldn't waste your money on this company.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I was diagnosed with covid. Got really bad sick! My fever was 105 off and on for 3 wks. It would get lower than bam 105. Only received a partial payment after the waiting period... Don't waste your money as they will not pay out properly.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

I have received great service from Colonial Life they have handled my benefits with great quality care and good customer service. I feel secure using them for myself and my family. I have not had any issues regarding services or communication.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

We were dropped from our policy after decades of paying on time. No reason was sent as to why. After my wife called them the only thing they could say is that they needed a credit card on file to automatically charge monthly. It was paid by check each month on a timely basis. They also made mention that they were sending communication to an address that my wife had told them that we moved. They are so hard to communicate with we finally threw up our hands. Never had a claim. Unbelievable experience!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I started a policy with Colonial Life at the end of last year. I pay them every week, relieved to have some sort of safety net for my five kids. That all changed this last month. After having sustained a major injury at the beginning of June, completely severing my hamstring from my pelvis requiring screw reattachment, I have changed my mind. Though I have received partial payment, I'm still waiting on six weeks of payment, pending when they receive information. Problem being, that they've "not received" at least 5 faxes from both my employer and physician.

Took me 2 weeks of calling back every 3 days and a live chat to finally get an email. Upon informing my employer to resend, was told another individual in my company was also having issues with their information being received. After inquiring several times, I still have no answer to why faxes are not being received or reviewed. I will be canceling my policy as soon as my claim is paid. Better off stashing that 100 bucks a month in savings for your own safety, than letting others play with your money.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

I was put into contact with a representative for this company through my employer. They would not stop arguing that they were 100% better than my existing health plan and that I will almost certainly be left for dead if I did not sign up with them then and there. Absolutely abhorrent behavior, using fear tactics to make a profit on a social necessity. They hung up abruptly when I mentioned I did already have healthcare covering all my needs for the 5th time, without explaining any of the other benefits they had. The lady I spoke with was so annoying and bent on feeding me ** "I've been in healthcare for 20 years. You are wrong". This middleman industry needs to die.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Absolutely the WORST experience you will ever receive if you utilize Colonial Accident supplemental insurance. Customer Service & transparency with this company is a joke. After being a 30 yr customer unfortunately the situation arose where I sustained serious injury & had to rely on payment from my supplemental plan. Each month I had to contact Customer Support and have a shouting match to track down my payment. The original anticipated date for my return to work was met but extended due to complications pending additional surgery. The information was immediately faxed to Colonial (twice) since they conveniently lost the original after leaving the Surgeon’s Office. Now here I am with no explanation of why there is a lapse in my payments other than it takes 8 business days to process a claim for the exact same injury I am still recovering from.

Original review: April 9, 2021

What a shock when I called Colonial Penn in September 2020 to examine their $9.95 guaranteed acceptance life insurance. What I didn't know is the call "for FREE information" is treated as an "electronic application" and my 30-day "no-risk" money-back guarantee is an illusion. To be brief: I reviewed the $9.95 policy and another policy and returned all materials within 24 hours asking for my refunds. They did not respond. I disputed the charges immediately and, after making multiple calls I filed a complaint to the Ohio Dept. of Insurance after which all monies were returned to my credit card. I was relieved. My nightmare was over--or, so I thought.

Fast forward to February, 2021 and Colonial Penn charged my card without authorization. It's fraud. I reopened the ODI case. I filed another dispute with my credit card company. April, 2021 they refunded the charge. The problem? They refunded the charge four (4) times creating a credit. I alerted the credit card company to return the money. Not easy, they said, because Colonial Penn paid the money--not the credit card company. Because I feared they could arbitrarily access my account to recoup the overpayment without my knowledge cases are reopened at the ODI and at the credit card company. Two separate investigations are ongoing as I write this.

After discovering multiple complaints at this site and others I wish I'd never made the first call. This company's "guaranteed acceptance" translates to them taking money for 24 months under their "limited benefits the first two years" with no benefit whatsoever if the insured dies before the 24th month! If it's later they do not pay the face value--only you won't know that until you try to file a claim--and long after you've paid premiums regularly. Read other posts on this site. You pay premiums for 24 months and you are not covered! Your beneficiary will receive what is called a "Graded Death Benefit." Look it up and run. Do not walk the other way. Look elsewhere on the Internet. You will find the company does one of two things. Some consumers are treated well. Others are treated abominably. Avoid any "guaranteed acceptance" garbage. If it sounds too good to be true...

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Company Information