Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

Compare Disability Insurance Providers

Research top Disability Insurance Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I read several bad reviews for Colonial Life. But I followed the steps, filled out the form, my doctor filled out his part and my employee their part as instructed. No problem. I was very pleased.

Husband had been seen in 2015 for left shoulder pain, got mri and ** shot, pain got better, never went away. May 2016 throwing hay, heard a pop and could not longer use the arm. We thought is was just aggravation of the arthritis, however this severe pain and lack of use did not go away. 6 days later pain so bad, went back to doctor. Due to pain and the office visit where doctor doing palpitations, he did not feel MRI was necessary and felt surgery was better. Did surgery, found a tear, and did some scraping.

Colonial is denying disability and accident claim saying they are not two different things --- the kicker of this is we were not even going to submit an accident claim. They told us too, because it was an accident and we advised them he had previous issues with this same shoulder. We were more interested in being compensated for disability while out to work. So we have spent literally hours, with phone conversations, gathering med records, getting letters from doctor to support what we are saying for absolutely Nothing. Talk about a rip off - take your monthly premiums yet pay out nothing.

This was finally resolved after I tweeted to the CEO and my payment was posted and my claim was finally processed.

Original Review

I am VERY UNHAPPY with this company and how payments are posted. I made a debit card thru their automatic system on 8/26/16 and it still hasn't posted to my policy!!! Come to find out Colonial Life uses and depend on a third party to make their card payments. And yet nobody at this company can do anything about it, not even the supervisor. I also file a claim at the same time but it got denied because my payment has not posted yet!!! When they told me I would not have any issues with my claim. This was a COMPLETE LIE. I am so done with this company. I decided to stay with Colonial Life after my employer decided to DROP THEM because they also were unhappy with them. Truly sad and regretful!!

My husband called for a Life Insurance. The advertisement on TV said, there will be no medical examination to qualify for insurance. All information was given to your company. Lo and behold we were told that he did not qualify for coverage because of a certain medication he was taking (for heart disease). Boy do we play with words. You did disqualify because of his health. We can read between the lines (not truthful).

I added my daughter to all my claims. All the sudden she is not on the hospital one. I informed them I believe she will be having surgery a month and a half prior asking about my benefits. Was told I would get a call back the next day from Michael **. He never called. I called the office over 12 times leaving messages. Called his cell over 9 times. I had it finally got a hold of him 4 days after her surgery before it was even scheduled. Remind you I've been trying to get a hold of him. Asked him why he never called back. He was dumbfounded then asked him "Well why didn't you add her to the claim back then?" He said "Well I could have." Yeah that's right he could have but to his negligence in the company he works for he screwed up. I will let the world now about this man and this company and how this is a complete money sucking scam. Don't do business with this company. I will be going to channel 3.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Insurance?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Colonial made me jump through hoops, and re-provide info that I had already provided (calling it "reverification"), then they went out of their way to make the process as difficult and drawn out as possible... Now they have decided my illness is extending beyond the "reasonable recovery period"... Are you kidding me? Now an insurance company can decide over my doctor when I'm healed? Give me a break. I truly believe they make people do this in hopes that they will give up and go back to work before they are healed properly - but not me, I will be seeing this through to the end. They got their money from me every payday, and I expect to get the services I paid for.

I left work on May 27, 2016. I had a new hip put in on May 31st. They sent me my first check of $3800 on June 14th. They really came through and I am still waiting for the State, due to a glitch. The rules are pretty straightforward. You can download the form, fill it out, have your work fill it out, then drop it off for your doctor to fill out. Then pick it up, fax it in. You will get calls and emails saying they are processing it. It seems like most issues people are having are too grey areas, etc. I feel bad for many of you as I know how tough it is. Rules are rules, and there is no exceptions or judgement calls.

We were all explained the process when we signed up. If someone has a legit claim, and they don't get paid, that's a different story. It's not right to discourage others from signing up, because they did not ignore something pre-existing for you. I am in California, and work for Toyota, and Colonial came through for me. I would give 10 stars if I could. Thank you Colonial, and I think it's safe to say that it would be foolish to not sign up with you guys. I will end this by saying that if I bet 100 bucks at blackjack in Vegas, I hit my sixteen, I bust at 26, then I ask for my money back and get denied, I am not going to give the casino a bad review for not making an exception on that blackjack hand, lmao! Keep up the good work!

To work one morning and that early evening before finishing my day I apparently had a mental breakdown. From that moment my life was turned upside down. No work and insurance no good. Aug. 2004 date I have tried in past to get help but failed. I stayed locked up for month between the jail and evaluation. I never did nothing to deserve what I had to insure. I was medicated to zombie state. I could not work and my insurance said due to the nature of the illness no money was paid.

Today 2016 I have been hospital-free since 2009 but on meds. I lost my home because my insurance failed me. My car got stolen and my only income SSI was stop until I spent what my car insurance paid towards the theft. I had to live in homeless shelter a year. I truly feel like Colonial Life and accidental disability let me down when in need. Hairdresser for forty years and the one thing I felt like I was really covered on was insurance. I was mentally unable to fight for my rights at the time. If I do one thing it will be to run my mouth so no other soul person has to go through such. Make my day and send me some good news.

Colonial in my opinion is the worst company with no compassion for its customers. I filed a accident claim and the total bill was 750.00. This company only paid out 50.00. My co-pay on both bills was 50.00. This claim will not even cover the premiums paid. How is that showing concern for the consumer? They put you through the ringer trying to get money that you paid into. My entire company Mecklenburg County NC is dissatisfied with Colonial Life. If I had to recommend a company for insurance, it would not be Colonial Life.

I have been paying for my insurance through my company since 2013. I had back surgery in 2015. Colonial played me for a year. Problem is doctors would not let me go back to work. I've been paying insurance out of pocket since October 2015. Had to get back surgery in February 2016. At first they denied claim stating I had lapses in coverage. Their mistake, they fixed that problem. Then I was told the surgery was the same which it was not. Now I'm getting the runaround. Colonial want your money but that does not stand by their commitment.

I purchased Colonial Life Insurance for disability coverage in March 2014 through the professional organization to which I belong. In January 2016 I went to my PCP with complaints of neck pain and tingling down my arm. She felt I had a pinched nerve and ordered X-Rays, muscle relaxants, OTC pain relievers and time out of work. After a couple of weeks of this regimen and no improvement, she referred to an orthopedic spine specialist who confirmed through MRI that indeed there was nerve impingement and spinal stenosis. I haven't worked since my initial appointment as I was instructed not to by my MD and have also had two steroid injections. I decided to use the disability insurance I pay for to help cover my expenses. The nightmare is beginning in the first phase of filing a claim: submitting the forms from my physician, my employer and me.

At first I was told NO forms had been faxed to Colonial Life. I contacted my employer and my doctor again. This time, Colonial Life said they received my personal form and the employer's form, but still nothing from the MD. Once again I contacted my doctor asking her to submit her portion of the form and she assured me she had done this weeks ago. Is the fax machine at Colonial Life eating forms? Are the employees of Colonial Life so incompetent that they can't efficiently put a claim file together?

I assumed that since this disability insurance was offered by a professional association in healthcare that the company had been vetted for quality of benefits, service, etc. and have paid directly from my bank accounts so all premiums are up to date. Ironically, I retired a few days ago (planned date, not related to medical condition). I wonder if there will be a road block to approval of my claim, if they ever actually read the paperwork. I still have symptoms so the retirement wasn't a "miracle" cure.

Bought short term policy for $50 a month. Had surgery 5/22 and even though there was a ton of paperwork to fill out and to fax, they mailed me out my check fast on 5/2. Think that was really great for me. Had no problems.

I signed up for Colonial life short-term disability back in December with my job. In March I was diagnosed with HIV and extreme depression. Colonial denied my claim saying the depression that came with the HIV diagnosis was a pre-existing condition!! I can't wait till open enrollment so I can drop these crooks!! And I'm sharing my story with everyone so they will lose potential business.

WARNING!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Here is my story. I have been a loyal customer with this company since 2002. My policies cover my entire family (wife, 2 sons: 16 and 3 and a daughter - 17). In 2009 I added additional disability coverage for my 2 oldest kids (my 16 yr old and my 17 yr old). Both of my kids play sports and my oldest son will be playing on a Div 1 collegiate level so the additional Colonial disability injury benefit seemed perfect due to any injuries that might happen.

My horror story with Colonial begin 11/30/2015. My son was playing ball for his school and had a unfortunate knee injury during the game. Our family Dr. scheduled an MRI which revealed a torn meniscus in his right knee. Surgery was scheduled for December 17th 2015, with 8 weeks of Physical Therapy following surgery. After the 8 weeks of P.T I gathered all the documents needed to file our claim and I told my wife "No worries. Colonial will cover us."

After I faxed all the information they requested my claim was denied a couple days later. I called and a representative told me my claim was denied because the Surgeon did not put a specific date the injury occurred. He only put a month and the year. I was in disbelief due to the fact that we knew the injury didn't occur before I added this benefit (2009). I then faxed over a detailed letter from the surgeon stating when the injury occurred and the Surgeon even added additional information that wasn't requested (which was very costly for us to obtain).

Several days later I called to check on my claim and was informed that my claim was pending additional information. The Surgeon added the date we came in to discuss the surgery options and this new date is considered conflicting information as I was told. I was then informed by a representative that my claim will continue to be denied because this type of injury is considered due to wear and tear over time and could not have happened in one set time or event (now the representatives are Doctors).

I requested to speak with a supervisor and I voiced my displeasure with this company, the runaround, the cost factor I have had to come out of pocket for to get these specialized letters and the unprofessionalism every time I called. The supposedly supervisor (Angela) informed me that the representative was wrong and should not have told me my claim would be denied due to wear and tear. Angela then informed me that all would be needed is another specialized letter from our Physician stating the actual date we took our son in due to the knee pain and the date she scheduled us to see the orthopedic surgeon. I then go out and get this specialized letter, fax it over only to find out the original decision stands!!! This company is a ripoff. Please stay away. I PRAY THIS LETTER PREVENTS ANY PERSON(S) OR FAMILIES FROM GOING THROUGH WHAT COLONIAL HAS JUST PUT MY FAMILY THROUGH.

PS: we were going to use the claim payment to offset the out of pocket cost for the P.T. Since Colonial screwed us we must now come out of pocket to cover our son P.T. We have paid into our policies since 2002 at a rate of 87.00 biweekly only to find out Colonial is a big HOAX. Thanks Colonial. You were there for my family when we needed you.

If leaving no star was a possibility, that would be my selection. I have paid monthly, out of my check, for a Colonial Life policy. The representative that came to my place of employment said if I had to miss work, Colonial Life would make it less stressful by covering my days missed after 14 days. Colonial Life has done the opposite. I had emergency surgery in October 2015. I'm being denied "for pre-existing condition". Never had gallstones in my life but somehow they find a way to say my surgery was a pre-existing condition. My suggestion to anyone considering giving money to this company - DO NOT. I've opened an account for myself and put the amount I was paying Colonial Life into this account. That way I know I'll have the financial coverage if I should ever need it again. Not sure how the employees of Colonial Life sleep at night. They should really worry about karma.

My employer had Colonial Life Insurance come in to explain to us about disability and life insurance and to see if we wanted to sign up. The representative told me to put in all of my information JUST FOR A QUOTE. After I did so, he told me about the different plan options and I said I wanted to discuss with my family. He then proceeds to tell me that I just signed up. I was confused and angry because he clearly deceived me.

I took the paperwork and was planning on cancelling the following day. The sheet said that we had 30 days to cancel after signing up. I had to call to request a cancellation form and the associate looked up my policy and emailed me the form. I filled it out and mailed it in. They mailed the form back to me a week later saying I couldn't cancel until open enrollment in February even though I was told 30 days. They told me because it was the pre-tax version -- I only had one day to cancel. These people are SO UNPROFESSIONAL and CON ARTISTS! They don't explain anything to you, take your money, and don't give you the correct information. I cannot wait until I can cancel next month and get my money back.

Colonial will look for the smallest thing to deny your claims! I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus and torn cartilage. They denied me telling me that: 1. I did not have coverage still after 10/1/15 and my accident happened 07/01/15. They later realized I had coverage since 10/01/13. THEN they tell me that neither my doctor or myself mentioned the actual date of my injury, to the actual day of injury. Any little excuse to deny benefits, please avoid at all costs!

They can never give you a solid answer. In eight years I've used them twice and it was horrible. They rip you off but yet paying $300 a month is ok with them. They told me how to file a claim and emailed me the forms. Then a month later deny my claim. Busy. Will text you when I can. Saying I filed it incorrectly. They were the ones that provided me the forms and the "how to" and I get dinged for it! Still have no money!

I requested a change in my policy coverage in October. The policy change was finally made, but the refund (a few hundred) I am owed has yet to be determined. It is evident Colonial Life cares nothing about their subscribers. Inter-departmental communicate is poor and laden with faux pas, no one is willing to take ownership of an issue, and customer service is non-existent!

I would never recommend this company for secondary accidental insurance. It has been over six months since I filed a claim and have been treated poorly by the customer service on every phone call. I have done everything more than once and contacted my doctor office numerous time to get the paperwork Colonial request. I don't get any replies regarding the claim, they absolutely will do nothing to help getting Dr information regarding patient files. This company isn't concerned about paying a claim for the client, they just hope to prolong enough until the client gives up.

PLEASE, PLEASE don't waste your money on this company. I'm sure management spends nights dreaming of ways not to pay claims. My example was seen in fall of 2014 for left knee replacement. Was seen in fall of 2015 for an injury to my RIGHT knee which required a surgical repair. Contacted the company to verify coverage twice to be sure I had coverage etc. Was assured there would be no issue as it was not the same knee or same issue. Claim was denied. Seems since I have 2 knees it was considered a bi-lateral problem. Told the same was true for ankles, hips, lungs, breasts etc. Management was very sorry I was given incorrect info, saying the reps we speak with are not knowledgeable in this area. Dah...

My husband and I have Colonial Life accident and sickness thru our work (which comes out of our paycheck). My husband had to go in for surgery in July and we filed the claim. It is now Sept 1st AND WE STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED OUR CHECK! Claims keeps dragging their feet. They have every piece of paper from the full application to Dr visits and notes and all reports and still will not release a check. We are seriously thinking about hiring a lawyer. Don't waste your money! We told our company about this and they since then have dropped Colonial and are now with Aflac!

Colonial in my opinion is the worst company with no compassion for its customers. I filed a short term disability claim and they take their time paying. This company waits until the day that they suppose to pay you to ask for more information. How is that showing concern for the consumer? They put you through the ringer trying to get money that you paid into. My entire company is dissatisfied with Colonial Life. If I had to recommend a company for insurance, it would not be Colonial Life.

I had a disability policy with them for over 4 years. When I went on disability I realized then what 30 days means. You have to be disabled for 30 days before they pay anything. I was not it was for three weeks. I cancelled my policy. They took it out of pay twice after I cancelled, after the second time I called and they said they "forgot" to send the file to my employer to cancel, and I would be refunded the premiums. They finally sent a check 3 months later for only one premium and now I am being told that the first payment I will not get because they need 12 days to cancel a policy and it was only 11 days!!!

I contacted Colonial Penn cause they claim that you will not be turned down for any medical reasons and I filled out the applications and 2 weeks later I received a letter denying me. Why? Cause of my health. Who can I contact to file false ads and denied me, help!

Well as we all know insurance companies are in it for one thing and that's PREMIUMS... Colonial Life & Accident Insurance is no exception. So I have a sickness claim filed. I submitted all the proper documentation, including get this the most important one of them all is the doctors portion. I was told it takes 7-10 days to review any submitted forms. On the 10th day I was mysteriously told I need more info. Now me just guessing I figured it would be an issue, lmfao!!! So I called on the 9th day and checked the status of my claim. Ironically due to them having 7-10 days they couldn't pull up in their system that I needed additional info. Now I wish I could tell you a different outcome of your stories and mine but I can’t... No one as human beings is immune to the tragedies, or disabilities, or the outcomes of life. Yet we put our $$$ into companies who could care less. In other words," **, pay us" !!!

To make a longer story short Colonial Life & Accident Insurance SUCKS!!! I wouldn't recommend them on my worst enemy.... I'm still waiting on benefits that my family solely depends on me to have because I'm the man of my household. Smh. P.s for future references try your hardest to stay healthy even tho we put our $$$ into these companies. Good luck to all.

One of my employees had AFLAC for many years, and they always paid claims promptly and without problems. Then last March an Agent for Colonial life convinced her to switch because they "offered more and it was cheaper." She had a complete knee replacement surgery in November and they are refusing to pay, calling it a pre-existing condition. She has sent records, appealed, had the doctor write a letter. It is now February and they still have not paid. I feel that the agent should not have sold her the policy, or the company should pay the claim. I am warning my other employees about this.

I purchased the cancer policy over 15 years ago through an employer and kept the policy even though I changed jobs. We have a high risk of cancer in my family so I thought it’s prudent. In Nov 2014 I was diagnosed with cancer. I called the customer service group to ask how to submit my diagnosis and what the benefit would be. She walked me through the process and was very helpful.

In less than 7 weeks I had a check in my hands for over $10k for my initial diagnosis. That was a huge relief considering the costs associated with treatment. That was just for the initial diagnosis. They continue to pay for travel expenses and lodging if/when we need it, as well as other associated costs. This is one instance where I feel paying the premium was well worth it. The sense of financial relief alone was worth it.

This company will hire you, ask you to bring new agents, train them, bring new accounts and then will terminate your employment for no reason just to steal your accounts and agents. Noel ** TM, has done many sneaky & manipulative things to drive away his agents. He has also done many deceitful things including moving managers from one to another for his own gain. He has no integrity and I cannot believe the company supports his actions. I brought in almost 100 agents and they have all left.

I was told by my rep that I would be paid in full for 2 months due to surgery. However it took 20 days to receive only 200 dollars. Then I was told that I would not get another check until my employer verified I was still off next month even though my doctor gave them my 2 month off minimum. I am very dissatisfied. I am going to tell everyone I can about this.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Company Profile