1.44/5
Based on 87 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 8, 2018

88 Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2018

Company does not (or at least says they don’t) keep notes when you call in. Customer service told me they did not have changes made yet I have received emails from them confirming. If they cannot get your information correct, would you trust them to pay your claim? Left message for my agent to call and he has not returned phone calls.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I signed up for Colonial Life because you never know what life will throw at you. Unfortunately I was told I needed a hysterectomy and they set my surgery up right away. Not having time to save for being off work up to 6 weeks put me in a panic. Then I thought I would be ok because I have Colonial Life. Boy was I wrong. I would only be paid for the night I had to be in the hospital which only comes up to $100.00. Are you kidding me? What the hell is $100.00 going to do? I have a house payment, lights, water, car, insurance, cellphone, groceries, 2 children, and anything else that happens to come up in a 6 week span. I'm a single mother who lives check to check anymore.

Colonial Life is a bunch of **. Here I was thinking I was going to be ok for a bit but no instead I get **. Paying for something that don't do what they are suppose to do. Now that I'm physically broke down now count the emotional break down too. Thanks Colonial Life for absolutely nothing... I'm cancelling and never looking back. Thanks for putting me in a hole that I will struggle to get out of. Your business hopefully gets shut down!!! Worthless company!!!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had surgery on 4/18/18 and have yet to receive my payment from Colonial STD insurance. I sent my paperwork off in a timely manner and few hours before my scheduled surgery since I knew I would be on bed rest. I spoke with several reps that told me this was okay. Now I'm getting the run-around about post-op notes that need to come from the doctor. Since they must verify I actually had a surgery on the 4/18/18 date. Do they actually think my kids, bills and life revolve around them playing and dilly dallying with my money. They didn't have a problem getting my premium each month. But now I have to deal with them daily for another lie to be told to me by a rep.

Not all the reps are bad. But they're many who will try to rush you off the phone. And I'm not even about to play that game with them. I am pretty much convinced when open enrollment rolls around AFLAC or some other company will be my best bet. Because it pisses me off to know they won't return calls to my doctor's office so they can just send me my payment. I'm so over Colonial STD insurance company and their foolishness.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Extremely disappointed in the service of Colonial Life STD. I submitted a claim for a medical necessity. I had to have a hysterectomy back in February 2018. I’ve spoken with at least a dozen or so reps and one person will tell me that my claim is being processed then the next day I would call to see why they have yet to process my claim and was told they are unable to locate all my medical records that were sent.

Every day it is a different story with the reps. I ask to speak with a supervisor and still get the runaround. I feel at this point I am just being dragged through the mud. I have 3 children and a mortgage to pay for... This wasn’t some elective surgery this was medically necessary. I was told that they will not compensate me the time I was out due to being a pre-existing condition within the first year. However, I was diagnosed after applying with ovarian cysts which needed to be removed as well. They still will not compensate me.

My sales rep. did not explain this much in depth when applying for the insurance. It was told to not only myself but colleagues of mine that this was a very simple straightforward process. This has been nothing short of a nightmare. Also, they kept telling me my policy effective date was a completely different date than when I applied. Extremely incompetent, disingenuous company... I will never recommend this STD insurance to anyone. A colleague of mine had a gastric sleeve done within the year of applying for her STD with a pre-existing condition of obesity and was paid out no problem. I would like to know how this happened with an elective surgery.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased Voluntary disability benefits a year and a half ago. Also I purchased accident insurance. I knew that in the future I would be wanting to get pregnant. I knew NYS disability was not going to be enough to live off of during maternity leave. In the meantime I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease and had to have a thyroidectomy. It would take me out of work for 4 weeks. I called my representative and he faxed the forms I would need right to my place of work and gave specific instructions as to how to fill it out. I am on leave still and today is Wednesday. I called Monday to see if everything was in order and they stated yes. The check would be sent out on Friday.

Well I just received a phone call today saying yesterday (Tuesday) the check was processed and will be sent out next business day. How happy I am that it will be here before the date they originally said. Every phone call I have ever made has been friendly and informative. Since I have both policies they both have a health screening rider. My last two pap smears I called the 1-800 # told them the date and doctor and received $50 for each policy I had. So end total $100. Check came within next few days. For me having these policies have given me comfort and security for day to day life knowing I have something to fall back on. I have had no experiences that many have been complaining about. I encourage calling your representative and having them guide you through the proper channels and be able to maximize your benefits.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Insurance?

Original review: March 30, 2018

20 days later still no payment - I put in a claim. I was in the hospital for 6 days. No payment, no calls even though I was promised a response in 48 hours. I sent all requested documents per our agreement. Now they are waiting on the hospital to respond per supervisor. They spoke to the hospital and don't want to pay the price for medical records. SMH. Pay me I paid for coverage... Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We had a Colonial Life representative come into our workplace selling their insurance to first responders. I’ve been in the field for approximately 17 years and recently got diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. I was hospitalized for about nine days. It’s going to be a while before I get back to work per the doctor’s orders. I filed a claim while admitted at the hospital and got denied. I was never contacted by Colonial Life Stating that I was denied. I found out when I called to check on my status. I was told by my doctor that post-traumatic stress disorder is diagnosed sickness. Colonial Life refuse to accept my claim due to my PTSD diagnosis. Is there anything that I can do? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I have been trying to get my disability claim finished with colonial life since 3 4 2017 and they keep asking me for bogus information that they really don't need to have and they just keep giving me the run-around. I just had back surgery due to the fall that happened on 3/4 2017 and they tell me today that they can't pay me for the surgery. Has anyone else had any bad experiences with Colonial Life Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Let's get the positive out first. Colonial Life agent for our company is a great lady. Now the rest... I believe that Colonial Life goes with the let's deny and if they call put on hold and disconnect as their standard operating procedure for clients. SILLY things like, "We can't process your claim" and "It's denied because no treating doctor is specified" (ok I was in the er and the er doctor was signed on the paperwork, which I supplied, as er attending physician signed electronically.) NOW the rest of the things... Wait, wait, wait. We will hold your claims until you forget. I supplied on a hospital stay for a grade 3 head injury over 100 pages of paperwork and was given a quick hospital stay $$$ and maybe then I will think it's done.

Well I work in the medical field and see that I didn't get compensated for a hospital admit, tests, follow-ups, and other services provided.** Over 1000.00 easy in accident benefits not paid.** I will stop here but will sum it all up with, look for better. Colonial Life will say they pay better but that is if you are diligent and don't mind waiting along with getting disconnected when asked nicely if you can be put on hold for a short wait. At my part-time job we have Aflac and it pays quickly and almost without effort. I will try and convince my on front lines, life saving your life, primary job to switch.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Supposed to receive a benefit of 1500 a month for verified work time off due to illness or injury. Even with verified completed paperwork from Dr and physician they are only paying me 350 to my surgery day. Then they say they need further verification. The information they have clearly says I will NOT be back to work until the earliest 02/12/18. So after I am cut 5 ways and in severe pain once I'm released from the hospital and if I'm not already set on the street I have to muster the strength to get them more information that they ALREADY HAVE. They debit my premiums from my pay effortlessly. They should pay my claim the same way. CANCELING ONCE THIS IS OVER AND DRAGGING THEIR NAME TO ANY AND EVERYONE WHO'LL LISTEN!

Updated on 2/9/2018: Once I complained initially to Consumer Affairs the company released a payment to me right away for the balance that should have initially been paid. However, I am still on FMLA and my leave has been extended another month and obviously I am being "blackballed" since the complaints I filed. Once again they are not paying me timely. They have received updates certification documents from my employer and physician yet are not acknowledging them, or should I say not acting on them. Therefore, now I am facing eviction. I have made them aware of this and was told this is NOT their concern.

I feel this is their concern because due to them initially misprocessing my claim intentionally, my claim payment date was offset by 7 days (which happens to be the 1st 7 days of the month when bills are due). I also asked them to send me my STD Disability policy (detailed) documents and they sent a request for payment for the documents before I can receive them. So now, I can't seek legal counsel even from legal aid because they are not paying me and charging me to get the information that breaks down my coverage. I was approved for monthly payments yet, my 1st payment was only 1 week (the offset). Why would they send me a 1 week check if I was approved for monthly payments?

Do not use this company they will debit your fund from your paycheck like clockwork, however, when you need them very unexpectedly... They will let you down. The customer service is rude and unprofessional. They also will NOT give you a supervisor... It will be another rep pretending to be a supervisor. You've been warned!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I am so fed up with Colonial Life trying to cheat me. I cancelled a policy one week after I opened it. I am tired of getting the run-around. Tell me I can't cancel the policy because it's part of a flexible benefits policy. Time to lawyer up!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I was injured on July 29 2017, my surgeon filed paperwork in August. I sent Colonial an email to check on my claim and was told it take 8-12 weeks before I would see a check. I checked back in Dec and was told there was no record of my claim and my policy lapsed. Now I get the lapse part I let the policy expire when I left my Job in Aug, but the injury happened when I was still insured. I have refiled the claim and now I'm waiting to see what Colonial does but so far they have been very unhelpful.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We had a rep. come into our work the end of September 2017 to try to switch us over to their insurance. I work for a corporate veterinary office that associates itself with Aflac insurance. I'm a newer employee so I did not have insurance but many other employees had Aflac coverage already. Many of us decided to get policies through Colonial because we either had bad experiences with Aflac in the past or didn't have insurance.

The employees that were already covered by Aflac were told by our rep. that they would be able to cancel their coverage and switch to Colonial. Come to find out he got everyone to sign up without consulting our corporate office. Our corporate policy states that the insurance plan through Aflac could not be cancelled until March when the sign-up date was. We informed our rep. of that and he came back with false papers he had printed offline, again without talking to our corporate office, stating the Aflac policies could be cancelled.

At this point everyone that had a policy through Aflac had called our corporate office to cancel their policies just to be told they couldn't until March. I myself was told my payment would be $6 a week or $26 a month for accident insurance and then received a bill for $79 for the month of August. Keep in mind, our rep. didn't even come in to talk to us until the end of September. I was being charged for 3 policies when I only signed up for 1 and for a time which was almost 2 months before I even knew about this company. We have all since attempted to contact our rep. to cancel our policies and I have not heard from him after a week of calling every day. I would save yourself the trouble of dealing with people who have no idea what they're doing.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I called them 6/30/2017 about accident insurance I have with them and what were the procedures after my husband had an accident. The agent was not helpful at all. I told the agent I never received my policies and on my online account it does not let me see it. I try to get her to help me and she was very unhelpful. I mention that I have Critical Care, Accident and Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability and she said that the only policy I have is Accident. I told, "How could that be if I have been paying over a 6 months for my policy." No help. I got my policy thru TrueChoices program with Schneider Inc. trucking company. They are a rip-off. Save your money in a Saving account. We are making these insurance company richer. Will be talking to a Lawyer.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Biggest crooks & liars - they make the U.S. gov. look like angels. I signed up for 50K life insurance for me and 50K life insurance for my wife. They thought it was cute to give me 100K and my wife 100K. I never noticed it until they cancelled my wife's plan for some unknown reason. After paying in over 2.5K into my plan, I cancelled services... Which I had to call in twice to do so because they could not even cancel my services right the first time. I had mentioned my dissatisfaction on every single call... On multiple occasions and they simply do not care a single ounce. I am still surprised on how 100K each got approved when I signed for 50K each. Now that I am finally cancelled, I will have my legal counsel look further into it. I will need to call in for a 3rd time to ask for proof of me signing for 100K. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE CROOKS!

Original review: May 13, 2017

Old saying... If it sounds too good to be true, probably is. I have A LOT of complaints but main one... Salesman told us (employees) our insurance premiums would be paid, medical and Colonial Life premiums till went back to work. Because of the way they pay, I had to go back to work before Dr recommended. I get my first paycheck from work of $0.00... Was told I owe $3600.+ for my insurance that was never paid while I was off... Not just my medical but the Colonial premiums as well. So no paycheck for 3 more weeks... But still gotta work. Am so upset, I would not recommend this insurance. Remember to read fine print for sure... If there's a loophole to get out of paying, they will find it. BEWARE...

Original review: April 4, 2017

Colonial Life goes through patients files and reimburses for what ever is the least amount they have to pay. I filed for a reimbursement for a mammogram (reimbursement of $400.00). They paid instead for an office visit (reimbursement of $50.00), which I never filed for. Looks like I'm not the first and won't be the last, Rather go to some other more honest company, wherever they are. What a rackety scam!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

In Dec of 2015 Colonial sent me correspondence saying I could continue my disability coverage. I called and told the rep that I was no longer at the company where I got the coverage. I was told no problem. I then told her I was still suffering from the same ailment, again she said no problem. I send in the premium, send in the paperwork, they deny it saying they had paid full payment (one year) on this claim, which they did. I am able to go back to work for a short time, can no longer work. I have a new ailment I send it in, they deny it, saying I had not worked a job since last ailment. I told them this was false, then they said, "well if you're not working now, you must have two of five activities of daily living which you cannot do and must be under regular care and you are kept at home".

This was never mentioned to me during the phone call with their rep, and was not part of their policy when I had originally signed up in 2007. I have told them either pay the claim, or refund my premiums. Since Dec, 2015, they keep changing their story from not working from last disability to the two of five activities of daily living not being able to perform. Avoid this company like the plague, unless you want to constantly be buried in double speak, paperwork. Eventually after many, many requests from my doctor, outright lies to me, they will pay for a month, then require more mountains of paperwork. Please avoid this for your own sanity.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I would like to add a positive review after reading so many negative ones. I started this policy through my previous employer about 12 years ago and have used the short term disability claims twice now. After changing jobs twice, policy about me with no issues at all. The monthly price has never increased. The first time I had to use this was soon after I bought into this plan. I was diagnosed with cancer. Then at the beginning of 2016 when my rheumatoid arthritis got to the point where I could no longer work. I have had nothing but good experience with this company.

Communicating with them is easy and they answer my emails within hours. My payments are always on time. They notify me when the payment has been sent. The people at customer service are always friendly. Recently, I did not fill out the quarterly update from my doctor because I thought my claim had been exhausted. They contacted me to let me know I still had benefits available as I had not utilized all allocated to my claim. My doctor did they updated form and my check was quickly paid. I am 100% satisfied with this company and would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I purchased this voluntary supplemental disability insurance through Colonial Life to supplement my std provider of Liberty mutual if I ever had to go on short term disability. My premiums came straight out of paycheck and were always paid on time. Unfortunately, my doctor put me out on std from Jan 2016 through March 2016. I filled out every form correctly and always had my doctor submit the requested paperwork. I received payment from Liberty mutual quickly, but it is now Dec 2016 and I'm still waiting payment from Colonial. My doctor has sent paperwork in three different times and then they come up with something slightly different each time. They wanted all diagnosis and lab tests/results and 20 plus pages were sent in on 2 different occasions.

I never heard another word from Colonial, so I emailed them. They said the senior examiner would let me know something by Friday. Today is Wednesday and still not a word. I called them and now they claim they need doctor's notes from each appointment. Why wouldn't they ask for that when they asked for everything else? My opinion is that they love to take my money when I'm paying premiums, but look for every excuse available to not pay viable claims. It is unfair I have to wait almost a year for money they owe me. If I would not keep calling them they would gladly let my claim drop and never say another word. It is a shame how they do honest, hard working people. I will never recommend them or use them for any type of insurance ever again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

DON'T PURCHASE A POLICY FROM COLONIAL!!! My wife and I purchased a disability policy for her in case something happened we would receive benefits if she was out of work for an extended period of time. We have paid for the policy for almost 10 years and have only been able to use the policy twice. Once for maternity leave and the other was when she had a hernia and was off work for six weeks after surgery. We have filed claims for other time off due to medical issues but have been unsuccessful in getting paid. Colonial gives the same song and dance every time - paperwork not filled out correctly, time was not within grace period, or benefits are not available based on the documents given.

She got hurt on the job and was off work 3 months, policy didn't pay a dime because it was a work related accident. The policy is one we pay for personally, it is not affiliated with her work. Even though it was an accident and she was off work Colonial would not pay anything. All insurance is a rip off, I'm going to cancel the policy and put the money in a savings account. That way if we need it it'll be there with out the hassle.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THEM!!! I purchased a short term disability insurance through my professional organization with a two week grace period and a weekly premium. Prior to having surgery I called Colonial Life and received forms. I filled out my information and dropped off the forms to my physician and employer prior to surgery (less than one week prior). I of course presumed all was in order and after getting out of the hospital just assumed everything was in order.

After not receiving any notifications via email or phone and the two week grace period lapsed I called customer service. I was told I filled out the forms too early. I bitched and moaned and was told they needed a return to work date. I had just gotten out of the hospital and was home on pain meds, I was told they needed new information, again about return to work. I said I have a post op appt with MD that day but that I did not expect to return to work for several more weeks. They facilitated my claim then (already two weeks late) and I received a check for 1 week and a letter starring that a "reasonable recovery period should only be 3 weeks". I just got my staples out and was still in pain, couldn't lift or bend over. They also stated they needed more info from my employer and physician. I called both to facilitate my claim as I could not--and cannot afford to not have money coming in.

2 more weeks later they still say they need more info but won't call either MD or employer. I again provided info (which was already noted on forms) and called both MD and employer (it needs to be noted that they never contacted me with any problems preferring to just deny claim). I notified both of problems and they both stated they had been in contact with insurance co and all should be in order. Still taking a direct withdrawal from my bank account but can't service my claim. Called customer service to talk to claim rep, too busy. Asked for a supervisor, too busy. Asked them to call MD and employer to facilitate claim, they can't do that. "Customer service is an incoming call center". There's nothing I can do!!!

They shouldn't be allowed to sell insurance they can't service. Currently having to sell belongings at a huge loss to just eat while waiting for them to service my claim. Totally useless. Full of excuses which change every time you call. Poor service. Better get AFLAC... filing a complaint with insurance commissioner. DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THEM.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I read several bad reviews for Colonial Life. But I followed the steps, filled out the form, my doctor filled out his part and my employee their part as instructed. No problem. I was very pleased.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

Husband had been seen in 2015 for left shoulder pain, got mri and ** shot, pain got better, never went away. May 2016 throwing hay, heard a pop and could not longer use the arm. We thought is was just aggravation of the arthritis, however this severe pain and lack of use did not go away. 6 days later pain so bad, went back to doctor. Due to pain and the office visit where doctor doing palpitations, he did not feel MRI was necessary and felt surgery was better. Did surgery, found a tear, and did some scraping.

Colonial is denying disability and accident claim saying they are not two different things --- the kicker of this is we were not even going to submit an accident claim. They told us too, because it was an accident and we advised them he had previous issues with this same shoulder. We were more interested in being compensated for disability while out to work. So we have spent literally hours, with phone conversations, gathering med records, getting letters from doctor to support what we are saying for absolutely Nothing. Talk about a rip off - take your monthly premiums yet pay out nothing.

Resolution response: Sept. 29, 2016

This was finally resolved after I tweeted to the CEO and my payment was posted and my claim was finally processed.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I am VERY UNHAPPY with this company and how payments are posted. I made a debit card thru their automatic system on 8/26/16 and it still hasn't posted to my policy!!! Come to find out Colonial Life uses and depend on a third party to make their card payments. And yet nobody at this company can do anything about it, not even the supervisor. I also file a claim at the same time but it got denied because my payment has not posted yet!!! When they told me I would not have any issues with my claim. This was a COMPLETE LIE. I am so done with this company. I decided to stay with Colonial Life after my employer decided to DROP THEM because they also were unhappy with them. Truly sad and regretful!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

My husband called for a Life Insurance. The advertisement on TV said, there will be no medical examination to qualify for insurance. All information was given to your company. Lo and behold we were told that he did not qualify for coverage because of a certain medication he was taking (for heart disease). Boy do we play with words. You did disqualify because of his health. We can read between the lines (not truthful).

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

I added my daughter to all my claims. All the sudden she is not on the hospital one. I informed them I believe she will be having surgery a month and a half prior asking about my benefits. Was told I would get a call back the next day from Michael **. He never called. I called the office over 12 times leaving messages. Called his cell over 9 times. I had it finally got a hold of him 4 days after her surgery before it was even scheduled. Remind you I've been trying to get a hold of him. Asked him why he never called back. He was dumbfounded then asked him "Well why didn't you add her to the claim back then?" He said "Well I could have." Yeah that's right he could have but to his negligence in the company he works for he screwed up. I will let the world now about this man and this company and how this is a complete money sucking scam. Don't do business with this company. I will be going to channel 3.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

Colonial made me jump through hoops, and re-provide info that I had already provided (calling it "reverification"), then they went out of their way to make the process as difficult and drawn out as possible... Now they have decided my illness is extending beyond the "reasonable recovery period"... Are you kidding me? Now an insurance company can decide over my doctor when I'm healed? Give me a break. I truly believe they make people do this in hopes that they will give up and go back to work before they are healed properly - but not me, I will be seeing this through to the end. They got their money from me every payday, and I expect to get the services I paid for.

Original review: June 29, 2016

I left work on May 27, 2016. I had a new hip put in on May 31st. They sent me my first check of $3800 on June 14th. They really came through and I am still waiting for the State, due to a glitch. The rules are pretty straightforward. You can download the form, fill it out, have your work fill it out, then drop it off for your doctor to fill out. Then pick it up, fax it in. You will get calls and emails saying they are processing it. It seems like most issues people are having are too grey areas, etc. I feel bad for many of you as I know how tough it is. Rules are rules, and there is no exceptions or judgement calls.

We were all explained the process when we signed up. If someone has a legit claim, and they don't get paid, that's a different story. It's not right to discourage others from signing up, because they did not ignore something pre-existing for you. I am in California, and work for Toyota, and Colonial came through for me. I would give 10 stars if I could. Thank you Colonial, and I think it's safe to say that it would be foolish to not sign up with you guys. I will end this by saying that if I bet 100 bucks at blackjack in Vegas, I hit my sixteen, I bust at 26, then I ask for my money back and get denied, I am not going to give the casino a bad review for not making an exception on that blackjack hand, lmao! Keep up the good work!

Original review: June 20, 2016

To work one morning and that early evening before finishing my day I apparently had a mental breakdown. From that moment my life was turned upside down. No work and insurance no good. Aug. 2004 date I have tried in past to get help but failed. I stayed locked up for month between the jail and evaluation. I never did nothing to deserve what I had to insure. I was medicated to zombie state. I could not work and my insurance said due to the nature of the illness no money was paid.

Today 2016 I have been hospital-free since 2009 but on meds. I lost my home because my insurance failed me. My car got stolen and my only income SSI was stop until I spent what my car insurance paid towards the theft. I had to live in homeless shelter a year. I truly feel like Colonial Life and accidental disability let me down when in need. Hairdresser for forty years and the one thing I felt like I was really covered on was insurance. I was mentally unable to fight for my rights at the time. If I do one thing it will be to run my mouth so no other soul person has to go through such. Make my day and send me some good news.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Company Information