Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.
1.44/5
  • 1 star
Based on 75 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 30, 2017

76 Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We had a rep. come into our work the end of September 2017 to try to switch us over to their insurance. I work for a corporate veterinary office that associates itself with Aflac insurance. I'm a newer employee so I did not have insurance but many other employees had Aflac coverage already. Many of us decided to get policies through Colonial because we either had bad experiences with Aflac in the past or didn't have insurance.

The employees that were already covered by Aflac were told by our rep. that they would be able to cancel their coverage and switch to Colonial. Come to find out he got everyone to sign up without consulting our corporate office. Our corporate policy states that the insurance plan through Aflac could not be cancelled until March when the sign-up date was. We informed our rep. of that and he came back with false papers he had printed offline, again without talking to our corporate office, stating the Aflac policies could be cancelled.

At this point everyone that had a policy through Aflac had called our corporate office to cancel their policies just to be told they couldn't until March. I myself was told my payment would be $6 a week or $26 a month for accident insurance and then received a bill for $79 for the month of August. Keep in mind, our rep. didn't even come in to talk to us until the end of September. I was being charged for 3 policies when I only signed up for 1 and for a time which was almost 2 months before I even knew about this company. We have all since attempted to contact our rep. to cancel our policies and I have not heard from him after a week of calling every day. I would save yourself the trouble of dealing with people who have no idea what they're doing.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I called them 6/30/2017 about accident insurance I have with them and what were the procedures after my husband had an accident. The agent was not helpful at all. I told the agent I never received my policies and on my online account it does not let me see it. I try to get her to help me and she was very unhelpful. I mention that I have Critical Care, Accident and Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability and she said that the only policy I have is Accident. I told, "How could that be if I have been paying over a 6 months for my policy." No help. I got my policy thru TrueChoices program with Schneider Inc. trucking company. They are a rip-off. Save your money in a Saving account. We are making these insurance company richer. Will be talking to a Lawyer.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 15, 2017

Biggest crooks & liars - they make the U.S. gov. look like angels. I signed up for 50K life insurance for me and 50K life insurance for my wife. They thought it was cute to give me 100K and my wife 100K. I never noticed it until they cancelled my wife's plan for some unknown reason. After paying in over 2.5K into my plan, I cancelled services... Which I had to call in twice to do so because they could not even cancel my services right the first time. I had mentioned my dissatisfaction on every single call... On multiple occasions and they simply do not care a single ounce. I am still surprised on how 100K each got approved when I signed for 50K each. Now that I am finally cancelled, I will have my legal counsel look further into it. I will need to call in for a 3rd time to ask for proof of me signing for 100K. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE CROOKS!

Original review: May 13, 2017

Old saying... If it sounds too good to be true, probably is. I have A LOT of complaints but main one... Salesman told us (employees) our insurance premiums would be paid, medical and Colonial Life premiums till went back to work. Because of the way they pay, I had to go back to work before Dr recommended. I get my first paycheck from work of $0.00... Was told I owe $3600.+ for my insurance that was never paid while I was off... Not just my medical but the Colonial premiums as well. So no paycheck for 3 more weeks... But still gotta work. Am so upset, I would not recommend this insurance. Remember to read fine print for sure... If there's a loophole to get out of paying, they will find it. BEWARE...

Original review: April 4, 2017

Colonial Life goes through patients files and reimburses for what ever is the least amount they have to pay. I filed for a reimbursement for a mammogram (reimbursement of $400.00). They paid instead for an office visit (reimbursement of $50.00), which I never filed for. Looks like I'm not the first and won't be the last, Rather go to some other more honest company, wherever they are. What a rackety scam!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

In Dec of 2015 Colonial sent me correspondence saying I could continue my disability coverage. I called and told the rep that I was no longer at the company where I got the coverage. I was told no problem. I then told her I was still suffering from the same ailment, again she said no problem. I send in the premium, send in the paperwork, they deny it saying they had paid full payment (one year) on this claim, which they did. I am able to go back to work for a short time, can no longer work. I have a new ailment I send it in, they deny it, saying I had not worked a job since last ailment. I told them this was false, then they said, "well if you're not working now, you must have two of five activities of daily living which you cannot do and must be under regular care and you are kept at home".

This was never mentioned to me during the phone call with their rep, and was not part of their policy when I had originally signed up in 2007. I have told them either pay the claim, or refund my premiums. Since Dec, 2015, they keep changing their story from not working from last disability to the two of five activities of daily living not being able to perform. Avoid this company like the plague, unless you want to constantly be buried in double speak, paperwork. Eventually after many, many requests from my doctor, outright lies to me, they will pay for a month, then require more mountains of paperwork. Please avoid this for your own sanity.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I would like to add a positive review after reading so many negative ones. I started this policy through my previous employer about 12 years ago and have used the short term disability claims twice now. After changing jobs twice, policy about me with no issues at all. The monthly price has never increased. The first time I had to use this was soon after I bought into this plan. I was diagnosed with cancer. Then at the beginning of 2016 when my rheumatoid arthritis got to the point where I could no longer work. I have had nothing but good experience with this company.

Communicating with them is easy and they answer my emails within hours. My payments are always on time. They notify me when the payment has been sent. The people at customer service are always friendly. Recently, I did not fill out the quarterly update from my doctor because I thought my claim had been exhausted. They contacted me to let me know I still had benefits available as I had not utilized all allocated to my claim. My doctor did they updated form and my check was quickly paid. I am 100% satisfied with this company and would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I purchased this voluntary supplemental disability insurance through Colonial Life to supplement my std provider of Liberty mutual if I ever had to go on short term disability. My premiums came straight out of paycheck and were always paid on time. Unfortunately, my doctor put me out on std from Jan 2016 through March 2016. I filled out every form correctly and always had my doctor submit the requested paperwork. I received payment from Liberty mutual quickly, but it is now Dec 2016 and I'm still waiting payment from Colonial. My doctor has sent paperwork in three different times and then they come up with something slightly different each time. They wanted all diagnosis and lab tests/results and 20 plus pages were sent in on 2 different occasions.

I never heard another word from Colonial, so I emailed them. They said the senior examiner would let me know something by Friday. Today is Wednesday and still not a word. I called them and now they claim they need doctor's notes from each appointment. Why wouldn't they ask for that when they asked for everything else? My opinion is that they love to take my money when I'm paying premiums, but look for every excuse available to not pay viable claims. It is unfair I have to wait almost a year for money they owe me. If I would not keep calling them they would gladly let my claim drop and never say another word. It is a shame how they do honest, hard working people. I will never recommend them or use them for any type of insurance ever again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

DON'T PURCHASE A POLICY FROM COLONIAL!!! My wife and I purchased a disability policy for her in case something happened we would receive benefits if she was out of work for an extended period of time. We have paid for the policy for almost 10 years and have only been able to use the policy twice. Once for maternity leave and the other was when she had a hernia and was off work for six weeks after surgery. We have filed claims for other time off due to medical issues but have been unsuccessful in getting paid. Colonial gives the same song and dance every time - paperwork not filled out correctly, time was not within grace period, or benefits are not available based on the documents given.

She got hurt on the job and was off work 3 months, policy didn't pay a dime because it was a work related accident. The policy is one we pay for personally, it is not affiliated with her work. Even though it was an accident and she was off work Colonial would not pay anything. All insurance is a rip off, I'm going to cancel the policy and put the money in a savings account. That way if we need it it'll be there with out the hassle.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THEM!!! I purchased a short term disability insurance through my professional organization with a two week grace period and a weekly premium. Prior to having surgery I called Colonial Life and received forms. I filled out my information and dropped off the forms to my physician and employer prior to surgery (less than one week prior). I of course presumed all was in order and after getting out of the hospital just assumed everything was in order.

After not receiving any notifications via email or phone and the two week grace period lapsed I called customer service. I was told I filled out the forms too early. I bitched and moaned and was told they needed a return to work date. I had just gotten out of the hospital and was home on pain meds, I was told they needed new information, again about return to work. I said I have a post op appt with MD that day but that I did not expect to return to work for several more weeks. They facilitated my claim then (already two weeks late) and I received a check for 1 week and a letter starring that a "reasonable recovery period should only be 3 weeks". I just got my staples out and was still in pain, couldn't lift or bend over. They also stated they needed more info from my employer and physician. I called both to facilitate my claim as I could not--and cannot afford to not have money coming in.

2 more weeks later they still say they need more info but won't call either MD or employer. I again provided info (which was already noted on forms) and called both MD and employer (it needs to be noted that they never contacted me with any problems preferring to just deny claim). I notified both of problems and they both stated they had been in contact with insurance co and all should be in order. Still taking a direct withdrawal from my bank account but can't service my claim. Called customer service to talk to claim rep, too busy. Asked for a supervisor, too busy. Asked them to call MD and employer to facilitate claim, they can't do that. "Customer service is an incoming call center". There's nothing I can do!!!

They shouldn't be allowed to sell insurance they can't service. Currently having to sell belongings at a huge loss to just eat while waiting for them to service my claim. Totally useless. Full of excuses which change every time you call. Poor service. Better get AFLAC... filing a complaint with insurance commissioner. DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THEM.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I read several bad reviews for Colonial Life. But I followed the steps, filled out the form, my doctor filled out his part and my employee their part as instructed. No problem. I was very pleased.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

Husband had been seen in 2015 for left shoulder pain, got mri and ** shot, pain got better, never went away. May 2016 throwing hay, heard a pop and could not longer use the arm. We thought is was just aggravation of the arthritis, however this severe pain and lack of use did not go away. 6 days later pain so bad, went back to doctor. Due to pain and the office visit where doctor doing palpitations, he did not feel MRI was necessary and felt surgery was better. Did surgery, found a tear, and did some scraping.

Colonial is denying disability and accident claim saying they are not two different things --- the kicker of this is we were not even going to submit an accident claim. They told us too, because it was an accident and we advised them he had previous issues with this same shoulder. We were more interested in being compensated for disability while out to work. So we have spent literally hours, with phone conversations, gathering med records, getting letters from doctor to support what we are saying for absolutely Nothing. Talk about a rip off - take your monthly premiums yet pay out nothing.

Resolution response: Sept. 29, 2016

This was finally resolved after I tweeted to the CEO and my payment was posted and my claim was finally processed.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I am VERY UNHAPPY with this company and how payments are posted. I made a debit card thru their automatic system on 8/26/16 and it still hasn't posted to my policy!!! Come to find out Colonial Life uses and depend on a third party to make their card payments. And yet nobody at this company can do anything about it, not even the supervisor. I also file a claim at the same time but it got denied because my payment has not posted yet!!! When they told me I would not have any issues with my claim. This was a COMPLETE LIE. I am so done with this company. I decided to stay with Colonial Life after my employer decided to DROP THEM because they also were unhappy with them. Truly sad and regretful!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

My husband called for a Life Insurance. The advertisement on TV said, there will be no medical examination to qualify for insurance. All information was given to your company. Lo and behold we were told that he did not qualify for coverage because of a certain medication he was taking (for heart disease). Boy do we play with words. You did disqualify because of his health. We can read between the lines (not truthful).

Original review: Aug. 29, 2016

I added my daughter to all my claims. All the sudden she is not on the hospital one. I informed them I believe she will be having surgery a month and a half prior asking about my benefits. Was told I would get a call back the next day from Michael **. He never called. I called the office over 12 times leaving messages. Called his cell over 9 times. I had it finally got a hold of him 4 days after her surgery before it was even scheduled. Remind you I've been trying to get a hold of him. Asked him why he never called back. He was dumbfounded then asked him "Well why didn't you add her to the claim back then?" He said "Well I could have." Yeah that's right he could have but to his negligence in the company he works for he screwed up. I will let the world now about this man and this company and how this is a complete money sucking scam. Don't do business with this company. I will be going to channel 3.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

Colonial made me jump through hoops, and re-provide info that I had already provided (calling it "reverification"), then they went out of their way to make the process as difficult and drawn out as possible... Now they have decided my illness is extending beyond the "reasonable recovery period"... Are you kidding me? Now an insurance company can decide over my doctor when I'm healed? Give me a break. I truly believe they make people do this in hopes that they will give up and go back to work before they are healed properly - but not me, I will be seeing this through to the end. They got their money from me every payday, and I expect to get the services I paid for.

Original review: June 29, 2016

I left work on May 27, 2016. I had a new hip put in on May 31st. They sent me my first check of $3800 on June 14th. They really came through and I am still waiting for the State, due to a glitch. The rules are pretty straightforward. You can download the form, fill it out, have your work fill it out, then drop it off for your doctor to fill out. Then pick it up, fax it in. You will get calls and emails saying they are processing it. It seems like most issues people are having are too grey areas, etc. I feel bad for many of you as I know how tough it is. Rules are rules, and there is no exceptions or judgement calls.

We were all explained the process when we signed up. If someone has a legit claim, and they don't get paid, that's a different story. It's not right to discourage others from signing up, because they did not ignore something pre-existing for you. I am in California, and work for Toyota, and Colonial came through for me. I would give 10 stars if I could. Thank you Colonial, and I think it's safe to say that it would be foolish to not sign up with you guys. I will end this by saying that if I bet 100 bucks at blackjack in Vegas, I hit my sixteen, I bust at 26, then I ask for my money back and get denied, I am not going to give the casino a bad review for not making an exception on that blackjack hand, lmao! Keep up the good work!

Original review: June 20, 2016

To work one morning and that early evening before finishing my day I apparently had a mental breakdown. From that moment my life was turned upside down. No work and insurance no good. Aug. 2004 date I have tried in past to get help but failed. I stayed locked up for month between the jail and evaluation. I never did nothing to deserve what I had to insure. I was medicated to zombie state. I could not work and my insurance said due to the nature of the illness no money was paid.

Today 2016 I have been hospital-free since 2009 but on meds. I lost my home because my insurance failed me. My car got stolen and my only income SSI was stop until I spent what my car insurance paid towards the theft. I had to live in homeless shelter a year. I truly feel like Colonial Life and accidental disability let me down when in need. Hairdresser for forty years and the one thing I felt like I was really covered on was insurance. I was mentally unable to fight for my rights at the time. If I do one thing it will be to run my mouth so no other soul person has to go through such. Make my day and send me some good news.

Original review: June 10, 2016

Colonial in my opinion is the worst company with no compassion for its customers. I filed a accident claim and the total bill was 750.00. This company only paid out 50.00. My co-pay on both bills was 50.00. This claim will not even cover the premiums paid. How is that showing concern for the consumer? They put you through the ringer trying to get money that you paid into. My entire company Mecklenburg County NC is dissatisfied with Colonial Life. If I had to recommend a company for insurance, it would not be Colonial Life.

Original review: May 9, 2016

I have been paying for my insurance through my company since 2013. I had back surgery in 2015. Colonial played me for a year. Problem is doctors would not let me go back to work. I've been paying insurance out of pocket since October 2015. Had to get back surgery in February 2016. At first they denied claim stating I had lapses in coverage. Their mistake, they fixed that problem. Then I was told the surgery was the same which it was not. Now I'm getting the runaround. Colonial want your money but that does not stand by their commitment.

Original review: May 4, 2016

I purchased Colonial Life Insurance for disability coverage in March 2014 through the professional organization to which I belong. In January 2016 I went to my PCP with complaints of neck pain and tingling down my arm. She felt I had a pinched nerve and ordered X-Rays, muscle relaxants, OTC pain relievers and time out of work. After a couple of weeks of this regimen and no improvement, she referred to an orthopedic spine specialist who confirmed through MRI that indeed there was nerve impingement and spinal stenosis. I haven't worked since my initial appointment as I was instructed not to by my MD and have also had two steroid injections. I decided to use the disability insurance I pay for to help cover my expenses. The nightmare is beginning in the first phase of filing a claim: submitting the forms from my physician, my employer and me.

At first I was told NO forms had been faxed to Colonial Life. I contacted my employer and my doctor again. This time, Colonial Life said they received my personal form and the employer's form, but still nothing from the MD. Once again I contacted my doctor asking her to submit her portion of the form and she assured me she had done this weeks ago. Is the fax machine at Colonial Life eating forms? Are the employees of Colonial Life so incompetent that they can't efficiently put a claim file together?

I assumed that since this disability insurance was offered by a professional association in healthcare that the company had been vetted for quality of benefits, service, etc. and have paid directly from my bank accounts so all premiums are up to date. Ironically, I retired a few days ago (planned date, not related to medical condition). I wonder if there will be a road block to approval of my claim, if they ever actually read the paperwork. I still have symptoms so the retirement wasn't a "miracle" cure.

Original review: May 3, 2016

Bought short term policy for $50 a month. Had surgery 5/22 and even though there was a ton of paperwork to fill out and to fax, they mailed me out my check fast on 5/2. Think that was really great for me. Had no problems.

Original review: March 30, 2016

I signed up for Colonial life short-term disability back in December with my job. In March I was diagnosed with HIV and extreme depression. Colonial denied my claim saying the depression that came with the HIV diagnosis was a pre-existing condition!! I can't wait till open enrollment so I can drop these crooks!! And I'm sharing my story with everyone so they will lose potential business.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

WARNING!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Here is my story. I have been a loyal customer with this company since 2002. My policies cover my entire family (wife, 2 sons: 16 and 3 and a daughter - 17). In 2009 I added additional disability coverage for my 2 oldest kids (my 16 yr old and my 17 yr old). Both of my kids play sports and my oldest son will be playing on a Div 1 collegiate level so the additional Colonial disability injury benefit seemed perfect due to any injuries that might happen.

My horror story with Colonial begin 11/30/2015. My son was playing ball for his school and had a unfortunate knee injury during the game. Our family Dr. scheduled an MRI which revealed a torn meniscus in his right knee. Surgery was scheduled for December 17th 2015, with 8 weeks of Physical Therapy following surgery. After the 8 weeks of P.T I gathered all the documents needed to file our claim and I told my wife "No worries. Colonial will cover us."

After I faxed all the information they requested my claim was denied a couple days later. I called and a representative told me my claim was denied because the Surgeon did not put a specific date the injury occurred. He only put a month and the year. I was in disbelief due to the fact that we knew the injury didn't occur before I added this benefit (2009). I then faxed over a detailed letter from the surgeon stating when the injury occurred and the Surgeon even added additional information that wasn't requested (which was very costly for us to obtain).

Several days later I called to check on my claim and was informed that my claim was pending additional information. The Surgeon added the date we came in to discuss the surgery options and this new date is considered conflicting information as I was told. I was then informed by a representative that my claim will continue to be denied because this type of injury is considered due to wear and tear over time and could not have happened in one set time or event (now the representatives are Doctors).

I requested to speak with a supervisor and I voiced my displeasure with this company, the runaround, the cost factor I have had to come out of pocket for to get these specialized letters and the unprofessionalism every time I called. The supposedly supervisor (Angela) informed me that the representative was wrong and should not have told me my claim would be denied due to wear and tear. Angela then informed me that all would be needed is another specialized letter from our Physician stating the actual date we took our son in due to the knee pain and the date she scheduled us to see the orthopedic surgeon. I then go out and get this specialized letter, fax it over only to find out the original decision stands!!! This company is a ripoff. Please stay away. I PRAY THIS LETTER PREVENTS ANY PERSON(S) OR FAMILIES FROM GOING THROUGH WHAT COLONIAL HAS JUST PUT MY FAMILY THROUGH.

PS: we were going to use the claim payment to offset the out of pocket cost for the P.T. Since Colonial screwed us we must now come out of pocket to cover our son P.T. We have paid into our policies since 2002 at a rate of 87.00 biweekly only to find out Colonial is a big HOAX. Thanks Colonial. You were there for my family when we needed you.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

If leaving no star was a possibility, that would be my selection. I have paid monthly, out of my check, for a Colonial Life policy. The representative that came to my place of employment said if I had to miss work, Colonial Life would make it less stressful by covering my days missed after 14 days. Colonial Life has done the opposite. I had emergency surgery in October 2015. I'm being denied "for pre-existing condition". Never had gallstones in my life but somehow they find a way to say my surgery was a pre-existing condition. My suggestion to anyone considering giving money to this company - DO NOT. I've opened an account for myself and put the amount I was paying Colonial Life into this account. That way I know I'll have the financial coverage if I should ever need it again. Not sure how the employees of Colonial Life sleep at night. They should really worry about karma.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

My employer had Colonial Life Insurance come in to explain to us about disability and life insurance and to see if we wanted to sign up. The representative told me to put in all of my information JUST FOR A QUOTE. After I did so, he told me about the different plan options and I said I wanted to discuss with my family. He then proceeds to tell me that I just signed up. I was confused and angry because he clearly deceived me.

I took the paperwork and was planning on cancelling the following day. The sheet said that we had 30 days to cancel after signing up. I had to call to request a cancellation form and the associate looked up my policy and emailed me the form. I filled it out and mailed it in. They mailed the form back to me a week later saying I couldn't cancel until open enrollment in February even though I was told 30 days. They told me because it was the pre-tax version -- I only had one day to cancel. These people are SO UNPROFESSIONAL and CON ARTISTS! They don't explain anything to you, take your money, and don't give you the correct information. I cannot wait until I can cancel next month and get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

Colonial will look for the smallest thing to deny your claims! I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus and torn cartilage. They denied me telling me that: 1. I did not have coverage still after 10/1/15 and my accident happened 07/01/15. They later realized I had coverage since 10/01/13. THEN they tell me that neither my doctor or myself mentioned the actual date of my injury, to the actual day of injury. Any little excuse to deny benefits, please avoid at all costs!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

They can never give you a solid answer. In eight years I've used them twice and it was horrible. They rip you off but yet paying $300 a month is ok with them. They told me how to file a claim and emailed me the forms. Then a month later deny my claim. Busy. Will text you when I can. Saying I filed it incorrectly. They were the ones that provided me the forms and the "how to" and I get dinged for it! Still have no money!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I requested a change in my policy coverage in October. The policy change was finally made, but the refund (a few hundred) I am owed has yet to be determined. It is evident Colonial Life cares nothing about their subscribers. Inter-departmental communicate is poor and laden with faux pas, no one is willing to take ownership of an issue, and customer service is non-existent!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

I would never recommend this company for secondary accidental insurance. It has been over six months since I filed a claim and have been treated poorly by the customer service on every phone call. I have done everything more than once and contacted my doctor office numerous time to get the paperwork Colonial request. I don't get any replies regarding the claim, they absolutely will do nothing to help getting Dr information regarding patient files. This company isn't concerned about paying a claim for the client, they just hope to prolong enough until the client gives up.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Company Information