1.40/5
Based on 99 reviews that contain star ratings

100 Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've read through A LOT of reviews with Colonial and almost all of them were 1 star reviews. I'm enrolled with Colonial through my employer, I personally have never experienced any bad customer service from the customer service reps. I will admit that it does take some time for Colonial to process your claim but I can't put all the blame on them. I can't speak for everyone but what held up my claim was that they (Colonial) requires that your paperwork be filled out to the 'T.' My doctor wasn't completing the paperwork as thoroughly as Colonial wanted which held up my approval. My accident occurred in Oct/17 and I didn't receive my entire payment until the middle of Dec. To some that may not be a long time but for me it was, especially with bills that were now becoming past due. Once again not ENTIRELY Colonial's fault but their approval process can use some work.

I suffered an accident at the end of Aug but I didn't submit my claim until this week (3rd wk of Sept.) because I wanted to ensure that I could submit all of my paperwork at 1 time and look it over to ensure that my doc filled it out properly. Today I received an email stating that they need more info from my doc regarding the date of my accident and when I'm expected to go back to work. I read the paperwork over maybe 15 times (literally) and I THOUGHT it was proper and complete. I called and spoke to a rep that was nothing but pleasant, she walked me through the next steps and legitimately sounded concerned for me and my case (I have a doc that wants nothing to do with this paperwork and refuses to fill it out after he's done it once.)

All-in-all, Colonial is a decent insurance company. It take a while to get your payment but I can't think of an insurance company that's quick to throw money at you. They want to ensure that whatever the issue is covered by your policy (like most insurance companies). Customer service is excellent and I always been able to speak to someone. Never had an issue with them taking more than they were suppose to out of my check. Pretty decent company. Only wish they would relax with some of the info required by the doc and expedite payments so that you're not waiting over a month or so.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

The WORST customer service as stated in other reviews. In addition to unprofessional and unknowledgeable customer service, they WON'T pay out for my short-term disability claim (of which I've had money taken out of every paycheck because their representatives were oh so CONVINCING at my work) that meets their standards (dependency on prescription medication). Also, they are making me jump through hoops for my APPEAL, and the supervisor said there is an appeal form to send, yet I can't find it online anywhere and customer service has NOT been helpful thus far. DON'T GO WITH THEM!!

Get expert buying tips about Disability Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Since May of this year, I noticed my weekly life insurance premiums have almost increased double, and I've only had them for less than year through my employer ** in Los Angeles. I've contacted them three times and they will blame your company corporate office and after having my corporate office tell them it is not their error, it is Colonials, they still overcharge every paycheck.

They never take responsibility and I had my HR dept yell at them in front of me and they still overcharge. My other co-worker got so disgusted with them she wrote them and call them to cancel her insurance with them and guess what? They are still charging her every month now and it's been three months now. Nothing works here. Not the employees. Not their services. If you die and need the life insurance, they'll probably still keep charging you and complain you're not paying your premiums, even though your family has reported you dead. Maybe it will take a good lawyer or and a class action lawsuit to make them change their ways.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

It's been almost a month and still haven't paid. They asked for more information even though they had it. Any excuse to not pay and wait till the very last minute to update anything. They must only have one person working in the approval department because timely isn't in their vocabulary. If I could I'd drop their insurance but it's through my work. Though it's not like they have the most brilliant people working to get us the best insurance either. So I guess you just have to deal with what you got.

But this place is a joke. Had to deal with them a year ago when my daughter broke her ankle and had to have surgery. I gave up trying to submit anything more to get paid because it was such a hassle. Also watch for how they word things in their policy. They do it just so in a way that they can go back and say they don't have to pay because it didn't mean that. It meant that you really don't get paid. But yet they still get their money from me every paycheck. They're a company that lacks integrity and morals.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

They are the worst at paying any claims. Initially they took about 48 hours to pay the claim. Once I submitted for my cancer policy it took them almost 2 weeks to pay my lump sum and their after each claim takes approximately 7 business days to get paid and this does not include the day you submit, holidays or weekends. I placed a claim on the 18th of July and on the 25th of July both are still not paid. I have called numerous times to be told originally yes it will be paid Monday the 30th, called Monday as payment was not posted and got "oh this should have been paid, I am putting a rush on the payment and this should be paid within 24 48 hours," Tuesday, no pay.

Was reassured it would be paid Wednesday, Wednesday rep was getting me a supervisor who never came to the phone, but she reassured me she would call me back in an hour to update me, no call no payment. I just called again was told my claim is still in review but only the claim for the 18th, the 25th claim wont be processed until the 3rd. A rep assured me she will call me in the morning to verify the status, so still no assurance the claim will be paid. I would NEVER recommend this supplemental insurance to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Insurance?

Original review: July 28, 2018

I signed up with Colonial Life during open enrollment with my employer. The rep that signed us up, made the claims process seem very easy and hassle free. Well that's surely was not the case. Colonial Life processing time is very slow, you can't even speak with the individual who is processing your claim, you have to either speak with a call center rep, who usually knows nothing, or you have to submit an email, and wait 24 to 72 hours for a response. If they do respond by email, it's a generic email template, and your concerns are not even addressed in the email. They make every excuse not to pay you on the claims submitted. Very unprofessional company.

I would recommend cancelling all policies with this company, because you're going to very upset if you have to file a claim. If you have the opportunity sign up with Aflac, much better service and less hassles when filing a claim, Aflac pays claims within 3 days. Compared to Colonial life, it's been almost 3 weeks and my claim is still processing. Spoke with a supervisor, regarding the delay, and she was just useless as a regular Customer Service Rep. This company just takes your money, everything they promote is a lie. This company needs to be shut down, and all customers should be refunded their money, that they have paid into their policies.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Work switched to this provider and we had no other options. They never set up my account correctly, I was never given an insurance card, the login information doesn't work, I have no idea what my policy number is, but they sure as hell take my money every check. Their website takes you in circles, and when you call their call centers you're told to either know someone's 5 digit extension or hang up. They don't have operators or an automated help menu. I input my policy information from work and they tell me there's a problem with my account and to call some number, but they won't help me until I log into the website first. Went to the dentist and set up an appointment because I need emergency work done and then I'm told the day before that the information they gave me at work is no good. Been paying some form of dental insurance for the past 7 years and I have yet to be able to use it.

Original review: July 24, 2018

In 2016 I added my husband to my account. During open enrollment in 2017 our Colonial rep and I supposedly removed him, not so they said I had to remove him during open enrollment. Again during open enrollment 2018 I signed papers removing him. That was May 3rd. It is now July 24th. I received a letter stating it is a pretax deduction so I can't remove him.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I completed a form to deduct my life insurance premium monthly. Instead Colonial Life took 6 months of payments out of my bank account, leaving me without gas or grocery money. They refused to refund the overpayment back into my account. I was trying to do the right thing and protect my family and was forced to go to a food bank because of their mistake. I feel humiliated.

Original review: July 16, 2018

If I could give less than 1 star I would. This is the WORST company I have dealt with. They make the health connector look like they know what they are doing. I have NEVER written a review about a company before, whether good or bad, but this I had to do. I do not want anyone to go through the headache I went through. I wish I had read these reviews on here before signing up.

I signed up for this policy in April. They did not send me any documents. So I was under the impression it was not in effect yet. I was sick as a dog and still going to work because I thought the coverage wasn't active because I heard ZERO about it. All along it was active and they have been collecting my god damn money and I couldn't use it when I wanted. I finally called them and found out they had my address wrong and the spelling of my name wrong. The agent sat across me in a room when I gave her my ID with the correct spelling of my name and my address. Only God knows how she managed to mess that up.

I requested the correction and also that a correct policy be mailed to me because I NEEDED a physical copy for personal reasons. It's July 16 and I still haven't received it. My husband did a surgery and is out of work. So I accessed the policy docs online to see my benefits. Now I find out that he has no coverage when I know I told the agent I need coverage for him BECAUSE HE WILL MORE THAN LIKELY NEED IT THAN ME. So I canceled it this morning. Do not open any policy with them. The customer service reps and their agents are all useless and they will only cause you unnecessary stress.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I decided to cancel this policy in early May. After my initial phone call, I was told I would receive a letter via mail within 3 days. It did not arrive and meanwhile, another payment came out of my checking account. I called again, wrote and emailed and yet still today, 6 weeks later, I got a letter confirming my desire to switch to quarterly billing, not monthly! My bank has been very helpful with blocking any further debits from this joke of a company. I am sure collecting on any disability claim would be a total nightmare!

Original review: May 30, 2018

My friend has Aflac and suggested I get an accident policy which covers my son who plays 4 different sports. My friend always gone on and on about the wonderful, fast service she gets with Aflac. I added Colonial Accidental Insurance through my employer. I've filed with them so far 4 different times and each time I've filed a claim it took 2 weeks or more for the claim to be reviewed and paid. 2 of the times I filed, if I wouldn't have called, it seems as if the claim would've never been processed. It is RIDICULOUS the amount of time it takes for them to review and pay claims. CHOOSE AFLAC OVER COLONIAL if you prefer to have claims that are paid within 3 business days. I will be leaving this company as soon as my enrollment period through my employer opens. They also DO NOT PAY FOR X-RAYS, MRI'S, OR CT SCANS, but Aflac does.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Company does not (or at least says they don’t) keep notes when you call in. Customer service told me they did not have changes made yet I have received emails from them confirming. If they cannot get your information correct, would you trust them to pay your claim? Left message for my agent to call and he has not returned phone calls.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I signed up for Colonial Life because you never know what life will throw at you. Unfortunately I was told I needed a hysterectomy and they set my surgery up right away. Not having time to save for being off work up to 6 weeks put me in a panic. Then I thought I would be ok because I have Colonial Life. Boy was I wrong. I would only be paid for the night I had to be in the hospital which only comes up to $100.00. Are you kidding me? What the hell is $100.00 going to do? I have a house payment, lights, water, car, insurance, cellphone, groceries, 2 children, and anything else that happens to come up in a 6 week span. I'm a single mother who lives check to check anymore.

Colonial Life is a bunch of **. Here I was thinking I was going to be ok for a bit but no instead I get **. Paying for something that don't do what they are suppose to do. Now that I'm physically broke down now count the emotional break down too. Thanks Colonial Life for absolutely nothing... I'm cancelling and never looking back. Thanks for putting me in a hole that I will struggle to get out of. Your business hopefully gets shut down!!! Worthless company!!!

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had surgery on 4/18/18 and have yet to receive my payment from Colonial STD insurance. I sent my paperwork off in a timely manner and few hours before my scheduled surgery since I knew I would be on bed rest. I spoke with several reps that told me this was okay. Now I'm getting the run-around about post-op notes that need to come from the doctor. Since they must verify I actually had a surgery on the 4/18/18 date. Do they actually think my kids, bills and life revolve around them playing and dilly dallying with my money. They didn't have a problem getting my premium each month. But now I have to deal with them daily for another lie to be told to me by a rep.

Not all the reps are bad. But they're many who will try to rush you off the phone. And I'm not even about to play that game with them. I am pretty much convinced when open enrollment rolls around AFLAC or some other company will be my best bet. Because it pisses me off to know they won't return calls to my doctor's office so they can just send me my payment. I'm so over Colonial STD insurance company and their foolishness.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Extremely disappointed in the service of Colonial Life STD. I submitted a claim for a medical necessity. I had to have a hysterectomy back in February 2018. I’ve spoken with at least a dozen or so reps and one person will tell me that my claim is being processed then the next day I would call to see why they have yet to process my claim and was told they are unable to locate all my medical records that were sent.

Every day it is a different story with the reps. I ask to speak with a supervisor and still get the runaround. I feel at this point I am just being dragged through the mud. I have 3 children and a mortgage to pay for... This wasn’t some elective surgery this was medically necessary. I was told that they will not compensate me the time I was out due to being a pre-existing condition within the first year. However, I was diagnosed after applying with ovarian cysts which needed to be removed as well. They still will not compensate me.

My sales rep. did not explain this much in depth when applying for the insurance. It was told to not only myself but colleagues of mine that this was a very simple straightforward process. This has been nothing short of a nightmare. Also, they kept telling me my policy effective date was a completely different date than when I applied. Extremely incompetent, disingenuous company... I will never recommend this STD insurance to anyone. A colleague of mine had a gastric sleeve done within the year of applying for her STD with a pre-existing condition of obesity and was paid out no problem. I would like to know how this happened with an elective surgery.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I purchased Voluntary disability benefits a year and a half ago. Also I purchased accident insurance. I knew that in the future I would be wanting to get pregnant. I knew NYS disability was not going to be enough to live off of during maternity leave. In the meantime I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disease and had to have a thyroidectomy. It would take me out of work for 4 weeks. I called my representative and he faxed the forms I would need right to my place of work and gave specific instructions as to how to fill it out. I am on leave still and today is Wednesday. I called Monday to see if everything was in order and they stated yes. The check would be sent out on Friday.

Well I just received a phone call today saying yesterday (Tuesday) the check was processed and will be sent out next business day. How happy I am that it will be here before the date they originally said. Every phone call I have ever made has been friendly and informative. Since I have both policies they both have a health screening rider. My last two pap smears I called the 1-800 # told them the date and doctor and received $50 for each policy I had. So end total $100. Check came within next few days. For me having these policies have given me comfort and security for day to day life knowing I have something to fall back on. I have had no experiences that many have been complaining about. I encourage calling your representative and having them guide you through the proper channels and be able to maximize your benefits.

Original review: March 30, 2018

20 days later still no payment - I put in a claim. I was in the hospital for 6 days. No payment, no calls even though I was promised a response in 48 hours. I sent all requested documents per our agreement. Now they are waiting on the hospital to respond per supervisor. They spoke to the hospital and don't want to pay the price for medical records. SMH. Pay me I paid for coverage... Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

We had a Colonial Life representative come into our workplace selling their insurance to first responders. I’ve been in the field for approximately 17 years and recently got diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. I was hospitalized for about nine days. It’s going to be a while before I get back to work per the doctor’s orders. I filed a claim while admitted at the hospital and got denied. I was never contacted by Colonial Life Stating that I was denied. I found out when I called to check on my status. I was told by my doctor that post-traumatic stress disorder is diagnosed sickness. Colonial Life refuse to accept my claim due to my PTSD diagnosis. Is there anything that I can do? Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I have been trying to get my disability claim finished with colonial life since 3 4 2017 and they keep asking me for bogus information that they really don't need to have and they just keep giving me the run-around. I just had back surgery due to the fall that happened on 3/4 2017 and they tell me today that they can't pay me for the surgery. Has anyone else had any bad experiences with Colonial Life Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Let's get the positive out first. Colonial Life agent for our company is a great lady. Now the rest... I believe that Colonial Life goes with the let's deny and if they call put on hold and disconnect as their standard operating procedure for clients. SILLY things like, "We can't process your claim" and "It's denied because no treating doctor is specified" (ok I was in the er and the er doctor was signed on the paperwork, which I supplied, as er attending physician signed electronically.) NOW the rest of the things... Wait, wait, wait. We will hold your claims until you forget. I supplied on a hospital stay for a grade 3 head injury over 100 pages of paperwork and was given a quick hospital stay $$$ and maybe then I will think it's done.

Well I work in the medical field and see that I didn't get compensated for a hospital admit, tests, follow-ups, and other services provided.** Over 1000.00 easy in accident benefits not paid.** I will stop here but will sum it all up with, look for better. Colonial Life will say they pay better but that is if you are diligent and don't mind waiting along with getting disconnected when asked nicely if you can be put on hold for a short wait. At my part-time job we have Aflac and it pays quickly and almost without effort. I will try and convince my on front lines, life saving your life, primary job to switch.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Supposed to receive a benefit of 1500 a month for verified work time off due to illness or injury. Even with verified completed paperwork from Dr and physician they are only paying me 350 to my surgery day. Then they say they need further verification. The information they have clearly says I will NOT be back to work until the earliest 02/12/18. So after I am cut 5 ways and in severe pain once I'm released from the hospital and if I'm not already set on the street I have to muster the strength to get them more information that they ALREADY HAVE. They debit my premiums from my pay effortlessly. They should pay my claim the same way. CANCELING ONCE THIS IS OVER AND DRAGGING THEIR NAME TO ANY AND EVERYONE WHO'LL LISTEN!

Updated on 2/9/2018: Once I complained initially to Consumer Affairs the company released a payment to me right away for the balance that should have initially been paid. However, I am still on FMLA and my leave has been extended another month and obviously I am being "blackballed" since the complaints I filed. Once again they are not paying me timely. They have received updates certification documents from my employer and physician yet are not acknowledging them, or should I say not acting on them. Therefore, now I am facing eviction. I have made them aware of this and was told this is NOT their concern.

I feel this is their concern because due to them initially misprocessing my claim intentionally, my claim payment date was offset by 7 days (which happens to be the 1st 7 days of the month when bills are due). I also asked them to send me my STD Disability policy (detailed) documents and they sent a request for payment for the documents before I can receive them. So now, I can't seek legal counsel even from legal aid because they are not paying me and charging me to get the information that breaks down my coverage. I was approved for monthly payments yet, my 1st payment was only 1 week (the offset). Why would they send me a 1 week check if I was approved for monthly payments?

Do not use this company they will debit your fund from your paycheck like clockwork, however, when you need them very unexpectedly... They will let you down. The customer service is rude and unprofessional. They also will NOT give you a supervisor... It will be another rep pretending to be a supervisor. You've been warned!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I am so fed up with Colonial Life trying to cheat me. I cancelled a policy one week after I opened it. I am tired of getting the run-around. Tell me I can't cancel the policy because it's part of a flexible benefits policy. Time to lawyer up!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I was injured on July 29 2017, my surgeon filed paperwork in August. I sent Colonial an email to check on my claim and was told it take 8-12 weeks before I would see a check. I checked back in Dec and was told there was no record of my claim and my policy lapsed. Now I get the lapse part I let the policy expire when I left my Job in Aug, but the injury happened when I was still insured. I have refiled the claim and now I'm waiting to see what Colonial does but so far they have been very unhelpful.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We had a rep. come into our work the end of September 2017 to try to switch us over to their insurance. I work for a corporate veterinary office that associates itself with Aflac insurance. I'm a newer employee so I did not have insurance but many other employees had Aflac coverage already. Many of us decided to get policies through Colonial because we either had bad experiences with Aflac in the past or didn't have insurance.

The employees that were already covered by Aflac were told by our rep. that they would be able to cancel their coverage and switch to Colonial. Come to find out he got everyone to sign up without consulting our corporate office. Our corporate policy states that the insurance plan through Aflac could not be cancelled until March when the sign-up date was. We informed our rep. of that and he came back with false papers he had printed offline, again without talking to our corporate office, stating the Aflac policies could be cancelled.

At this point everyone that had a policy through Aflac had called our corporate office to cancel their policies just to be told they couldn't until March. I myself was told my payment would be $6 a week or $26 a month for accident insurance and then received a bill for $79 for the month of August. Keep in mind, our rep. didn't even come in to talk to us until the end of September. I was being charged for 3 policies when I only signed up for 1 and for a time which was almost 2 months before I even knew about this company. We have all since attempted to contact our rep. to cancel our policies and I have not heard from him after a week of calling every day. I would save yourself the trouble of dealing with people who have no idea what they're doing.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I called them 6/30/2017 about accident insurance I have with them and what were the procedures after my husband had an accident. The agent was not helpful at all. I told the agent I never received my policies and on my online account it does not let me see it. I try to get her to help me and she was very unhelpful. I mention that I have Critical Care, Accident and Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability and she said that the only policy I have is Accident. I told, "How could that be if I have been paying over a 6 months for my policy." No help. I got my policy thru TrueChoices program with Schneider Inc. trucking company. They are a rip-off. Save your money in a Saving account. We are making these insurance company richer. Will be talking to a Lawyer.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Biggest crooks & liars - they make the U.S. gov. look like angels. I signed up for 50K life insurance for me and 50K life insurance for my wife. They thought it was cute to give me 100K and my wife 100K. I never noticed it until they cancelled my wife's plan for some unknown reason. After paying in over 2.5K into my plan, I cancelled services... Which I had to call in twice to do so because they could not even cancel my services right the first time. I had mentioned my dissatisfaction on every single call... On multiple occasions and they simply do not care a single ounce. I am still surprised on how 100K each got approved when I signed for 50K each. Now that I am finally cancelled, I will have my legal counsel look further into it. I will need to call in for a 3rd time to ask for proof of me signing for 100K. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE CROOKS!

Original review: May 13, 2017

Old saying... If it sounds too good to be true, probably is. I have A LOT of complaints but main one... Salesman told us (employees) our insurance premiums would be paid, medical and Colonial Life premiums till went back to work. Because of the way they pay, I had to go back to work before Dr recommended. I get my first paycheck from work of $0.00... Was told I owe $3600.+ for my insurance that was never paid while I was off... Not just my medical but the Colonial premiums as well. So no paycheck for 3 more weeks... But still gotta work. Am so upset, I would not recommend this insurance. Remember to read fine print for sure... If there's a loophole to get out of paying, they will find it. BEWARE...

Original review: April 4, 2017

Colonial Life goes through patients files and reimburses for what ever is the least amount they have to pay. I filed for a reimbursement for a mammogram (reimbursement of $400.00). They paid instead for an office visit (reimbursement of $50.00), which I never filed for. Looks like I'm not the first and won't be the last, Rather go to some other more honest company, wherever they are. What a rackety scam!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

In Dec of 2015 Colonial sent me correspondence saying I could continue my disability coverage. I called and told the rep that I was no longer at the company where I got the coverage. I was told no problem. I then told her I was still suffering from the same ailment, again she said no problem. I send in the premium, send in the paperwork, they deny it saying they had paid full payment (one year) on this claim, which they did. I am able to go back to work for a short time, can no longer work. I have a new ailment I send it in, they deny it, saying I had not worked a job since last ailment. I told them this was false, then they said, "well if you're not working now, you must have two of five activities of daily living which you cannot do and must be under regular care and you are kept at home".

This was never mentioned to me during the phone call with their rep, and was not part of their policy when I had originally signed up in 2007. I have told them either pay the claim, or refund my premiums. Since Dec, 2015, they keep changing their story from not working from last disability to the two of five activities of daily living not being able to perform. Avoid this company like the plague, unless you want to constantly be buried in double speak, paperwork. Eventually after many, many requests from my doctor, outright lies to me, they will pay for a month, then require more mountains of paperwork. Please avoid this for your own sanity.

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Company Information