3.12/5
Based on 59 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

400 MetLife Life Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am set up for auto-pay. I have always paid manually until this past week while having eye surgery. Auto pay set on the 29th. They did not deduct payment & charged me on 8-1 a $25 late fee. They refuse to credit when I had to pay manually. Service rep could not explain why they didn’t deduct with auto pay. But refused to credit late charge. Worst customer service ever. Rude and would not let me talk to a supervisor. Basically they stole $25 from me. I have never missed a payment & always pay early. This time I had to rely on autopay, they messed up and I got shafted! I would like help in resolution.

Original review: July 23, 2018

While preparing to retire and get all my documents in order, I called Brighthouse. The first day I called 6 different numbers because the system kept telling me I was in the wrong place. Finally got through only to be told I needed to be transferred again. On hold for 48 minutes. Received the paperwork necessary and then needed a number on the form in order to complete it. Called again - 52 minutes this time - hung up - called again and transferred three times. Still don't have the information and it is a simple question in order to complete their paperwork. Currently on hold again for the last 63 minutes and still no one answers. Three days to get something answered. Do they have only one real, live person available?

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I cancelled my policy with MetLife on 6/11/2018. I understood that they would have to take the June payment from my paycheck because I was doing payroll deduct. They took partial payment on 6/29/2018 and sent a letter stating that they would take the rest on 7/13/2018. I check my pay stub on 7/12/2018 to find out that they took 725.00 from my paycheck. So I called and spoke with someone in payroll deduct and was informed that they should have cancelled the payroll deduct but they didn't so it was their mistake, but they won't be able to get my money back to me until the end of July.

It was so quick for them to snatch it from my check but they are dragging their feet to give me my money back. I was even told that for me to contact my payroll at work to see if they can give me the money, what!!! It was not my job's fault. As soon as I cancelled the policy everything should have cancelled with it. What the hell!!! I do not recommend MetLife to anyone. If you receive things in the mail saying that they are a great insurance company that is all lies. Do not trust them.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I paid quarterly payments for long term care starting age 33. At 47 after I had moved to another city. MetLife did not record my new address in their system correctly while they accepted payments from my new online banking account. When a family member was going through cancer I was reminded I had missed some payments and contacted MetLife to catch up. I had not heard from them in over a year, but my checks were clearing. When I called I learned my policy had been cancelled and they were sending my cancellation notice to an old address.

As I fit in the window under my policy to do reapply I did, to catch up and pay what was due to get reinstated. However, MetLife used the same health conditions I had at 33, same height and weight, to decline me at age 47, saying they didn't know at 33 I had those the way I had enrolled at the time. In the same time frame as I had been cancelled MetLife ended their long term care benefit options, and were not accepting new clients. 14 years of quarterly payments down the drain. If only karma would remembers MetLife and their descendants when they least expect it for scamming people. Unless you plan to sit at one address all your life, one bank, one zip code, don't pay a penny for MetLife products or services.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I have been with MetLife tor over 30 years! As long as you have no claims all is good! Every time I submitted a claim they are always looking for ways to reject it! I recently filed a claim for sump pump failure, sewer seepage, & broken window in window well. Because the window well window was broke due to ground water they will not cover anything! I have sump pump failure insurance!

This is totally unacceptable in my opinion as all I wanted covered was the wall board replacement, carpet and vanity in bathroom and payment for having commercial co dry the basement out so we could salvage as much as possible! We removed the carpet and padding ourselves and we also cut off 13 inches of wallboard to avoid traveling up the wall and creating mold & mildew! We did everything we could to salvage as much as possible! We worked night and day for 3 days straight! They don’t really care about you just the money you pay for high premiums!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: June 20, 2018

I was with MetLife for over 3 years and everything was ok till I switched to another insurance company in April 2018. I was supposed to get two checks back for a car and a home policy. The smallest check was for $34 dollars and I got it in no time. The second check was for $880 dollars, it has been over 2 months from early April 2018 to 06/20/2018 and I have not received it yet. I have called them in five different times, every time I called is a different story from the representatives.

This ** sucks, they are playing with my escrow money. I am very disappointed and very surprised that a company like MetLife will do some ** like this. I am so happy I left them, I went to another insurance company and I was able to saved $1000 per year for my home insurance and my auto policy cost me less as well for a better coverage. I will never do business again with liars and dishonest people that gave me a different story every time I called. I just hope they won't do the same ** when a customer has a claim to fix a $50K or $100K vehicle.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Great company and easy to work with. Knowledgeable staff, too. But I wish it didn't outsource employees/policy information. It also takes longer to resolve matters. However, the outsourced 3rd parties are very polite and professional.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I am due two separate life insurance payouts from MetLife. They did pay the funeral home promptly. Once I notified them of my benefit they sent documentation to send back which I did. The first excuse was that they were confused by two payouts even though each account is separate numbers. They didn't call to clarify, I discovered by calling them. Next MetLife had that I and my deceased husband worked at the same location, this has never been the case. Again I discovered by calling them. Then one payment went to their TCA account instead of my bank as I selected. I then had to call the TCA # and a check is mailed to me (what we wanted to avoid).

The other payout they have now said there is confusion over the dates of policy payment so I had to get my employer involved. It is still not resolved after 30 days. Other insurer policies did not have the TCA issue and the payments arrived as described. For this reason I would not ever have MetLife life insurance as it puts the payee in an unfair and delayed position.

Original review: June 2, 2018

MetLife is a pretty good insurance company. They are responsive when needed, but still need to be more attuned to their policyholders. I sometime have a problem getting a response. The cost is pretty high and seems to continue to rise, which does not make me happy.

Original review: June 1, 2018

On April 5, 2018, I was involved in a traffic accident in which my vehicle was rear-ended by another while I was stopped at a traffic light, resulting in my colliding into the car in front of me. Of the three vehicles involved, two of the drivers (myself and the woman in front of me) were covered by Commerce Insurance. The vehicle which caused the accident was insured by Metropolitan (the son of the car owner was driving). My insurance company handled the claim promptly, with respect to helpful assistance in the aftermath, collecting data/statements, arriving at a damage estimate (my car was a total loss), and paying out the claim. The day after the accident, I phoned Metropolitan in response to a request for contact and made a full statement. I was provided a claim number and the name of an adjuster.

The only thing I needed to rely on Metropolitan for was covering my rental while I searched for a new vehicle (once my car was declared a total loss). My initial adjuster quoted me the daily rental charge they cover should liability be accepted, and I rented a small vehicle within those parameters. While the rental was being used, I was informed Metropolitan was ‘investigating the claim’ (keep in mind, my vehicle and the one in front of me were at a dead stop); I was informed on various occasions of numerous issues with the investigation which prevented them from accepting liability and covering my rental at that time, was asked to be patient and if it was not settled by the time I returned the rental to pay out of pocket and submit a receipt for reimbursement.

Ultimately, this was what I had to do, and on 4/24 emailed the adjuster a receipt for $464.75. Since this time, I was informed twice that they were still investigating, and subsequently that there was a new investigation, this time to determine whether the driver of their covered vehicle was registered. At that point I was told that while clearly the other driver (the one who hit me), was liable, this new investigation still needed to be completed prior to any reimbursement being made. I was then referred to a new adjuster (who for some reason I am unclear on took over the case), who I contacted and spoke to on two occasions.

On both she informed me that the investigation was ongoing, and when we last spoke (2+ weeks back), I was told that there was a claim meeting that Friday and she would get back to me with an update. I received no update, nor have I been reimbursed, so I called Metropolitan again today. My new adjuster was unavailable, so I initially spoke with another claims rep who indicated that the claim notes indicated they were still awaiting a statement. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was informed they were gone for the day. I was transferred to a member of my adjuster’s ‘team’ who informed me that there were ‘serious coverage issues’ and that they could not commit to any form of reimbursement at this time. As a result, I would have to wait as they are ‘actively working on it’.

It has been roughly two months now since the accident. I have been in a new vehicle since 4/24, and at this point am still waiting for resolution to two separate investigations of an accident for which liability could not be more evident (the police officer at the scene took about 30 seconds to declare the driver who struck my car at fault, and he admitted to the fact). I have had to deal with two separate adjusters, through phone and email correspondence, paid more than $450 out of pocket, have met every requirement and request of Metropolitan personnel, and continue to have my reimbursement delayed.

At this point, I cannot help but feel that resolution is being delayed unnecessarily, and I am simply being given the run-around from a large company who feels they have all the power in this matter. I would hate to think how long this issue would have been delayed and how many adjusters and investigations would have been required if the driver of the insured vehicle were not so clearly at fault. Needless to say, Metropolitan will not be on my list of potential insurers when my own policy requires renewal, and I finally determined my experiences should be shared in order that others can take them into consideration in determining who they will choose to meet their own insurance needs. I will post a follow-up to this review if and when my claim is resolved.

Original review: May 28, 2018

As of April first I cancelled my homeowners and auto insurance with MetLife. I have yet to receive a final bill and statement of account. Instead of communicating with about the matter they have sent my unexplained bill to a collection agency that are now threatening me. MetLife has consistently raised my premiums regardless of the fact that I have never made a claim with them. This was over the course of five years. This must be standard procedure when they lose a valuable customer and guaranteeing that they will never bother with them again.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had a great conversation with the insurance agent, they were very detail oriented and helped me understand everything and took the time to help me choose a policy that would work best for my wants and needs. The company was very personable too. I didn't feel pressured and the monthly rates are very reasonable so I signed up. But I wish the online portal was more user-friendly because it can be confusing to use, but other than that I have been extremely pleased with the insurance company and my policy.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I like my policy and the amounts I can carry. Also I like the customer service I get. They are really fast and friendly. I never have to wait for a response and I never have to wait on hold to speak to customer service. I've had nothing but good experiences. Really fast and friendly customer service. Knowing that I'm protected and feeling secure with this company is great. I wish the policy payments were a little less expensive but even then I'm paying a very reasonable amount. I really enjoy being a customer of theirs. Overall I would recommend them to family and friends.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have had a wonderful time using MetLife as my provider. I don't think they go above and beyond in any way, but I will always appreciate how very easy it is to do business with them. It has all been a very easy process. It's a whole life policy, not term, so once I got it set up, locked in at a good rate while I was in my 20s, it runs smoothly with automatic payments each month, and each year I get a statement of its earnings. I don't even have to think about it, which is nice. But it might be nice to be able to have some control. For example, if I could annually or biannually be made aware of investment opportunities that could be used to increase the size of the policy at a faster rate.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My overall experience with MetLife Life is great and I love the company. I like their plans and products. They have great people that work for them. It is good and the best of it all. I would recommend it all.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I purchased MetLife Life insurance through my employer and carried it into retirement. It was the only life insurance available when I purchased it. I get the insurance fee at a reduced rate after retirement and that I don't have to worry about having insurance, especially at my age. Trying to get another insurance would be extremely expensive for my age group. But I would expect a little more communication with MetLife. Since I have retired, I have not heard anything from them even though I still carry the insurance. I would like to hear from them, even if it is just an email telling me they are still around.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have had a term life insurance policy with MetLife since 1978. The monthly premium was $25 for 37 years. A week ago I received a letter saying I needed to pay $360 to keep my insurance. I called and found out they had used up the cash value of my policy to pay for increasing administrative costs and that I should have increased my premium.

I was never notified that I SHOULD increase my premium in 37 years and if I choose to continue the premiums will now be $160 with no longer existing call value.

I asked why I was never notified over years to increase the premium and they said they send a yearly printout and I said that never said I should increase payment. I said the print out of a record of my years payments and "the cash value is... if you stop making payment, the policy will be worth..." They said could have figured it out if I did the math and if I couldn't they have people who could help. I said I certainly COULD do the math IF I had known for 37 years that I NEEDED TO! VERY disreputable company!! I am now exploring new company since I checked online and hard to find ANY positive reviews of the company!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

MetLife was recommended to us by a friend over thirty years ago. The agent Asked what we wanted so she could meet our need. We explained we were younger at the time and wanted something with a large payout if one of us were to die but would like something that would also grow through the years that we could cash in when we were old if we needed more money to subsidize our income. She was patient and went over several policies and we chose one. We are very happy with our policies with MetLife. Our policies have increased in cash in value greatly through the years. We have reached our golden years but have no need in cashing the policies in at this time. We now receive quartet dividends although we still pay a yearly fee of around five hundred dollar.

Original review: April 17, 2018

MetLife Life has the best policies and benefits for the price. I value them much more than other life insurance companies. They treat me properly with respect and dignity. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My children’s father passed away four months ago and MetLife has yet to pay out on the claim. They just keep giving my daughter the runaround. It was a good thing that we were able to pay for her father’s funeral out of pocket since MetLife has yet to pay out. Don’t use MetLife. They are thieves who use every trick that they can not to pay on a claim. Every time she calls they just add another 5 days to how long it may take and give another excuse. This is one of the worst insurance companies out here.

Original review: March 30, 2018

MetLife refuses to pay my claim, I am choosing to have a bridge and they will only pay for a partial. If there is a cheaper option, that is what they will pay. Cheaper isn't always better, we have paid into this insurance for 30 years and to be denied is an insult and should be against the law. Insurance company should not be able to dictate what the customer is willing to pay for.

Original review: March 14, 2018

The cost of this service has been constantly increasing over the past few years and I think it has to do with less companies being in this market so it seems like these companies have an unfair advantage when it comes to setting the prices for the services they provide in the insurance industry. But I have never had any major issues using MetLife and it does provide me with a certain amount of security knowing that I have insurance from a reputable brand that is known for being a leader in its market and industry so that is something that makes the brand more valuable to me.

Original review: March 14, 2018

MetLife has a wide range of standard policies as well as the flexibility to customize some. But I do not like some of their policy positions for businesses which makes one look elsewhere. For personal life insurance MetLife offers cookie-cutter policies many of which are offered by other companies with slightly different language. Nevertheless, one of the selling points for MetLife is financial stability. They are well established and trustworthy. Also, MetLife has some unique experience especially with personal life insurance and annuities.

Original review: March 13, 2018

This company has been around forever and it offer some of the best options available that I have seen in the life insurance field and they are amazing. They help me find the best policy to take care of me and my family. I like this company because it's an affordable product yet it is a big amazing value for what you get and the customer service you receive. They changed their name to BrightHouse without much explanation to consumers but I believe they are an honest and trustworthy company. They have always gone above and beyond to help me solve my problems. I also recommend them to many people and I value their service.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I chose MetLife as they are best company to deal with. They are a reputable company. They are amazing and if I ever have a problem I know it will be taken care of. They are a wonderful company to be associated with and I have only good things to say about them. My overall experience with MetLife has been completely positive. MetLife is easy to deal with and I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 12, 2018

MetLife insurance is vast and has new features. I like the features, protection terms and how it helps with overall coverage. Claim process is easy too. The location is accessible and communication possible with continuous customer service and availability. But there may be issues with connecting to an online agent for chat and asking questions. The policy at times is long to read and difficult to explain in one sitting. Also, there are fewer options in the choice of life insurance types for an individual to start working and thinking to take one up. I also dislike the office locations as none is closer to my house or community. But my overall experience with MetLife insurance company has been okay... It was a good one with less hassle and hitches.

Original review: March 12, 2018

MetLife, they have a good reputation and the choice of policies was good. The customer service is decent and the hold times are acceptable for me. Our policy fits our situation pretty good for our needs. Compared companies to one another and MetLife met our expectations. I seem to pay a lot for insurance, though. I’m rather young for electing to purchase life insurance so a much lower premium would be great!

Original review: March 11, 2018

Overall, my experience is positive. I don't know much about it but am glad that I have it. But it is too expensive for some people to have life insurance. The only way to improve the policy is to make it more affordable yet having the same coverage. The premiums should be less so that more people can afford this and not have to cancel their policy.

Original review: March 11, 2018 I like MetLife. They're caring and I chose it because they are well-known big player in industry. It has competitive rates. Good customer service, answers anytime. Friendly and honest. Safe, trustworthy, awesome. I like it gives me confidence. I can take care of my family in case I get sick or die like it they will be there for me.

I am happy chose company with MetLife.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I had MetLife insurance since I was little. It's not a bad plan, it has cash value in there and some rate of return. It has been around for a while so they did put in some time, which is just as important instead if it was a new company, upcoming and such. But they don't quite have the best sales force or customer service. They are also limiting their options for clients which makes it hard. MetLife can have better rate of return or more benefits to the plan. Their system is on average at best. There are better plans out there.

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one the largest insurance sales companies in the world. MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries and started their business in 1868. MetLife, Inc. is headquartered in New York City.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information

MetLife
1095 Avenue of the Americas
New York
NY
www.metlife.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business