Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
MetLife Life
3.60/5

MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

MetLife Life Reviews

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I have had critical and accidental insurance with this company for a yr. When I went on a leave of absence they cancelled my policy without me knowing then went back and took back pay out my check without my authorization twice. I filed a claim with them in Aug 2019 and sad to say my claim is still under review because they keep dropping the ball. I have sent them all the information they need and they keep asking for the same documents over and over. I do not recommend this company to anyone. If you want good supplemental insurance try Aflac. I've heard great things about them. If I could give this company 0 stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I have had auto insurance with Metlife for a little over a year. The rates were competitive so I went with them. Created an online account to have easy access to make changes and make payments. However, their online service is ridiculous. The site is always experiencing technical difficulties and tells you to log in at a later time. If and when you can finally log in, you'll be lucky if you can do anything (i.e. make a payment, make changes to your policy, print id cards, etc.). If you call customer service, be prepared to be on a long hold and have a lot of disconnects. Worse experience I ever had with auto insurance. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I ever had to file a claim. Incompetent, not customer oriented.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was in the hospital overnight for chest pains in Aug 2019. We sent a claim into Metlife in September. At first they were very she told me what we needed and I sent it in. I followed up to see if they received it and they did and it will be 7-10 days. Well it is now November and every time we call it's something different. I tell them when I call I can hang up right now, get a new person and they will tell me something different. I don't know why they haven't shut them down yet. I have always had Aflac and they were great. We are going back to Aflac next year.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I'm a Financial Planner and I have clients who have MetLife / Brighthouse contracts and their customer service is absolutely terrible. I once had to send in a copy of the client's driver's license 4 separate times for them to process the transaction of the funds. Every time I called in, the client and I were told "we never received it". Even though I had confirmation emails of the driver's license being approved. Oh, and you know what they needed the license for? Because their records indicated that the client's last name didn't have an apostrophe meanwhile the paperwork submitted to them did. When I asked the client about it, she said she always spelled her name with an apostrophe and it was a typo on their end.

Long story short, it took us 7 weeks to have the transaction settled because of an apostrophe and lack of communication on MetLife/Brighthouse's end. This was just one issue. I've had multiple issues along the way such as MetLife/Brighthouse requiring additional information from the client but never informing us they needed the info. We only found out when we called in every week. Terrible communication.

Secondly, good luck trying to get a real person on the line to answer any questions you may have regarding a client's contract as the advisor, or the client's contract if they are calling in. Average hold wait time is 15-20 minutes before you can speak to someone and most of the time, we had to get routed to another department for another 15-20 minute hold. A client and I were once on hold for 1 hour and 13 minutes. Yes, that's correct. Holding was so miserable that I checked my phone log to see how long we waited until we spoke to someone. Boy was that a cringing nightmare to remember and mention here.

Lastly, they do a subpar job posting factual information regarding their products for customers to make an informed decision if it is the right fit for them (if they are going at it alone), and even as an advisor, it takes me over an hour every time I need to find additional basic information on a product. Hence why I do not use their products anymore altogether.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

In a weak moment 25 years ago my wife and I purchased a MetLife term life insurance policy from a door to door Metlife salesman who just happened to knock on our door the day we brought my first born home from the hospital. Should have known better then.. Fast forward 25 years my wife passes away in September and on September 10th Metlife received the claim form, death certificate and the policy to the required PO BOX. Then nothing.. no check, no updates and when checking the status constantly put on hold forcing you to go insane listening to the same awful Muzak with the message "we are currently experiencing high call volume" nonsense on a constant loop. No wonder MetLife is financially sound...they don't pay claims timely. 68 days and still waiting...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

My Metlife auto insurance annual premium is due. Metlife switched me to paperless without my consent. I have now tried 4 times to pay my premium through their online payment system. I've tried both Microsoft Edge and Chrome, as well as on an android tablet. Every time I click submit, I get the message "Payment amount must be at least the current amount due but not more than the total premium balance." WTF??? The only payment amount option available on the page is the one with the exact amount I owe, so how can I possibly not be meeting this requirement? Since metlife is notorious for denying claims, you would think they would be great at the only other thing they actually do, taking people's money. What a joke!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

We purchased Metlife Critical Care Insurance thru my wife's employer. In the ad it made it seem like the coverage was broad, even a broken arm was covered it mentioned. Well when we needed it and it was a dud. I am have heart valve replacement surgery, & we are finding out while almost every other critical illness company covers that (some with limits) Metlife does not. Boy do we feel taken for the ride!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been with MetLife for over 9 years, it happen this year my area was hit with hail and damaged my roof. I filed a claim with their response was “if the damage is not visible from the street they don’t approve any repair. “ My neighbors that had submitted claim with other companies got approved and had their roof fixed while I am struggling to have MetLife come up for a second inspection and check the damage. 2 different reliable contractors inspected it and saw the hail damage, shame on you MetLife. You took my money and when I needed you, you failed. Nada **.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I called to inquire about my policy. Spoke to LUIS in customer service, he got an attitude with me, was very vague in answering my questions and so I kept asking the same questions. I said "I want to know who to contact to help me with my policy" and he hung up on me. Great customer service MetLife.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

My Mother passed away 2 years ago this month! Still no check. First application I submitted they gave me the "we never received it" line. This is a leftover balance after funeral expenses (under a 1000) but they treat it like it's a Million dollars! I call to hear the same script every time "your application is being processed". That's if I get that far without being disconnected or being asked a whole lot of security questions that the last rep never asked.. seems like they are looking for reasons to dodge me. On their automated machine they wish you their "sincere condolences". No they don't! If you love your loved ones you should look elsewhere for life insurance.

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information