2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

MetLife Life

MetLife Life
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.04/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Life?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I have had this policy since my daughter was born. Any questions they will answer. I am saving money and if I need to borrow I can. They have an easy dashboard to use and easy to access. I can see who I am invested in.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

It is a long but one time application to fill out and uncomfortably took blood and medical test for my 10 years flat rate of $1 Million life coverage insurance at the age of 53 (till 63). Able to renew every year for ten years at same rate.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

My life insurance policy has been in place for over 30 years. I've received good service from Metlife throughout that time. I was given the choice between a whole life policy, term life policy and universal life policy.

Original review: May 23, 2020

My mother and I became estranged her last five years here on earth due to her mental illness. My brother and his wife immediately took over and blew through her money. Even making sure he was executor and Power of attorney. I knew she had a life insurance policy. My brother's actions were fishy even after my mother's passing and he put her cremation on his credit card. I called MetLife to inquire. Yes the call center is in another country. However, I had in general questions because I figured both my brother and I were beneficiaries and him being executor I didn't trust I'd see mine.

I broke down mildly and explained my fear to I call him Indonesian Steven. Steven asked me my name and asked if I'd like to make a claim but he couldn't tell me if I was a beneficiary that claims would call me. I was hesitant because I didn't want to disrespect my brother's position. That is when Indonesian Steven said "Let me explain something to you. An executor or power of attorney can surrender (cash out) the policy regardless of the beneficiary. Would you like to file a claim?" Doing a light bulb and yes I did.

Within 2 weeks I had claim forms. I was the only beneficiary. Ha! Yes I got a scathing text from my brother. Less than a month I got my check. This company went to bat for me! Even when my brother screwed up the death cert. Then mailed me a letter saying if I could prove her correct birth year only a year difference I would be entitled to another two hundred dollars. Of course, I wasnt going through the hassle. I am soo very thankful for the claims department and " Indonesian Steven" helping, going to bat for me and getting me money and quickly as they did. I would consider getting a policy but they only offer it through business place of employment. Your heirs will not be let down I promise!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

It has been a whole year and Metlife has done everything in their power to make it difficult and eventually impossible to get reimbursed for mental health care my child has received. Unhelpful and DEAF unless I am reviewing them on sites that might affect their bottom line. I am repulsed by the money grubbing revolting priorities this company has. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. If they can deny you coverage. They will. Even after promising IN writing to cover costs. Horrible horrible service and they only answer or communicate with you in an effort to protect their image...not to actually provide the service for which you have paid.DO NOT GIVE THESE CROOKS MONEY. 0 stars is more like it.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I have been out of work since September and I have only received one check. MetLife has stalled over and over again. It is now the middle of December and I'm still fighting them. I'm hurt and cannot work and now I have to fight metlife every step of the way. This is not something I should have to worry about. I should only worry about recovery. That is why I have disability insurance to help me if I get sick or hurt and can not work.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I been trying for 6 weeks to process a policy surrender request. It's been sent back because they wouldn't accept an electronic signature, then wouldn't accept a signature that was not in cursive. None of these requirements were specified on the document.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

Metlife has not paid my pension after paying premium for 9 year. They just refused to pay saying due to current situation. For what purpose customer save? Do not promise the amount and Pension if you cannot keep your words. We are also in same current situation.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I broke my ankle. Had disability, accident and hospital insurance through them. I sent in documents error sending a page twice and not sending the correct page. I called to verify and found out my error and resent the document correctly. They needed additional information so I waited and sent them my entire hospital chart. I called to check and they received it and they did. I called back on day 8 of 7-10 days they allow. They told me they never received the page of the document that they advised was missing prior. I had sent the page and verified I received it so I was extremely angry. I spoke with a supervisor who told me I had to send the page so I did stating I was not about to wait an additional 10 days. They kept spouting off about their policy. I told them I wanted this resolved immediately. She told me I would get a call back in 24-48 hours.

I told her that wasn’t acceptable and I would be calling back in 5 minutes and expected to speak with someone to get it resolved today. I called back about 15 minutes later and the apparently only competent representative discovered that I indeed had sent the document in its entirety in June as I had said all along. She said she would email the examiner that information. She was the only one to help me in any way. I have complaints about the phone system also. I had to hang up and recall many times due to a very poor connection. I would be disconnected and only received one call back of five or six disconnected calls. I am asking my employer to seek another carrier.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have MetLife group accident coverage through my work. I have had to make 2 claims. On both occasions I was told initially that all my medical costs were covered and that the ankle fracture I suffered the first claim would pay a minimum of 1000$. I received a total payout of 335$ for all my medical expenses. They wouldn’t even reimburse my crutches or physical therapy visits like they said they would.

The second time I was assaulted and suffered two fractures in my face. MetLife wouldn’t proceed with the claim unless I gave them the police report which it does not state anywhere in their policy that this is a requirement. It’s accident insurance. It should be covered no matter what. They change their rules to fit their needs and try to find every loophole they can to get out of paying typical insurance company. I had Aflac before and they are 1000% better. A stand up company that honors their agreements. Stay away from MetLife. It isn’t even worth the 3.50$ every two weeks from your paycheck.

MetLife author review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information