Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
MetLife Life
3.60/5

MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

452 MetLife Life Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

Both my parents passed within weeks of each other. Found out that mom had a MetLife policy with only dad as beneficiary. Filed the claim and provided copies of all death certificates, wills and trust information as requested. Was told it would take 8 weeks. Called in 8 weeks, was told end of month, end of month was told being expedited. Claim has been expedited 3 times, actually spoke to someone who said she was a supervisor and she assured me she would call me back on Friday. Well guess what, no call and not able to get through to anyone. I was told one time the policy was worth $6000, then less than $5000, and this last call was told that it probably was not even worth $1000. What are they doing? Cashing it in for themselves???

I have all the dates that I have spoken to someone and allegedly the names of people I have spoken to although I don't think the names are real, they seem very reluctant to give out names. No one will give a direct line to contact them for more information and a website I was given to follow up on the claim is nonexistent. In all the dealings I have had with insurance, banks, etc. since my parents passed, MET LIFE IS one MILLION times the ABSOLUTE WORST! I would never purchase ANY kind of insurance from them. If I could give negative 100 stars it would still not be an accurate description of their horrible service.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Just like most other reviewers on this site, if I could give this company a -100 star I would. Mom died May 31, 2019, filed for benefits with MetLife immediately. Have made many phone calls, waiting on hold forever and then get the patented run-around. Our account has been "expedited" several times. Spent a couple hours this morning getting the run-around again. This time the "excuse" is, get this, they have to manually calculate the amount. We just got the July, 2019 statement saying the death benefits were $5800.00. How hard is that to split in half between my brother and I? Needless to say, run-around and lies! AVOID MetLife like the plague!! Hopefully, all involved with this company will eventually get our "legally ours" money.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

If I could give this company a -5 I would do so! My FATHER passed away April 28th 2019, approximately 2 weeks before he passed he requested to cash out on two policies that were in mine and my sister's name. In the interim he was hospitalized. The checks NEVER came to his address. We have been getting the runaround since the end of May as to when we will receive the new checks as they put a stop payment on the initial ones and allegedly reissued after us providing them with all of the requested information. Now for 4 weeks it's a different story when I call. I got a call from supervisor 3 weeks ago. She said check was being mailed following Monday. Now with 3 additional calls still no checks and no solid answers. Placed on hold forever today to get hung up on! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS to have to deal with, ESPECIALLY after someone passes!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

MetLife Brighthouse is a huge mistake for your 403B if you are a teacher. First off, horrible customer service throughout. Don't expect calls, updates, or any individualized attention. No phone access to a specific person either. And when you try to roll it over? Forget it. It has taken me two months, and now I have to hire an attorney.

Original review: July 30, 2019

My brother passed away 3/28/2019. My atty sent a letter and death certificate on April 9. I had to call many times for correct papers to file with them. 4 months now, and today they tell me to call again at the end of August! They have all the paperwork they need, but I must add the first application they sent was the wrong one, then I was sent a PDF that I could not open on several computers. Don't know why!

Last week I was told by the supervisor Wendy, that she would try to escalate the matter, and call me. No call. I called again today and was told by Elon ** that he understood and was being "very transparent" with me. He said MetLife went to an enhanced system which generated a lot of mail. I asked for that in writing, either by email or USPS. They can't do that. I never received the mailed forms that requested in April, May, etc. Now, I should check back at the end of August. I'm trying to pay my brother's bills but I think this will be the death of me! What is their problem! Are they going out of business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: July 29, 2019

This little policy and all the info sent in February. I’ve called at least five times. It’s been escalated at least 3 times and last time promised correspondence within 2-3 days. It has now been 47 days. On hold right now with the “Claims unit” for at least 25 minutes and no one will answer.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I submitted a death claim on March 23, 2019. I've made many calls just to get the run-around. Each time I get a different excuse. They have all the information requested. I've submitted a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the Arkansas Attorney General.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I am 50 years old and have NEVER experienced such HORRIBLE customer service. I am confused as how this company remains standing. My only guess is that they are not accredited by the BBB. I’ve been calling since May 16, 2019 about converting a life insurance policy to whole life and they don’t even have enough common courtesy to call me back. My agent (joke) Elan **, that I had to call directly, told me “I usually deal with 20 and 30 year olds so I don’t know how to do this. Call the 800 number back and they can assign another lead to someone.” PITIFUL!!! Please take my advice and do NOT deal with this pathetic company!!!!

Original review: July 18, 2019

I am a 42 year funeral director who has worked with multiple insurance companies through the years. MetLife USED to be very good but I'm beginning to think they may be insolvent. I am working on an assignment for a policy that is less than $1500.00, and 50 years old! It was paid up 30 years ago! The premiums paid in were more than the value of the policy today, yet they can't seem to be able to come up with the funds to pay the claim nearly 6 weeks after submitting all the paperwork. Their customer service is horrible (though every person I've talked to is kind), but they can't do anything to move the claim along. I've heard 3 times already about how backed up their claims department is. I was promised that after it went to "Escalation" it would be processed within 5 days. That was 13 days ago, and Escalation Department hasn't even got it yet! I'd hate to see what they'll do to someone who has a 50,000 or 100,000 policy claim!

Original review: July 16, 2019

Much like others that have written, I'm in a "Do Loop" by Metlife. Got a packet for a death claim on my uncle in February 2019 and submitted the packet to Warwick, RI which was received on 8 March. Have called them 5 times since then with a status and yes, I get a person from India who tells me it has been received (over 90 business days now) and transfer me to another number (30-35 minute wait) before they tell me it's in escalation. They say all the paperwork is there, and I have to wait for the check. No e-mails, faxes, or letters from them, of course. The "Do Loop" is; there are 4 other cousins who have to apply for the claim & guess what - they haven't received the packet yet. I guess they are waiting to brew and finish their Christmas coffee, or they are just collecting interest on it to pay for their stadium in New York.

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information