MetLife Life
2.32/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

410 MetLife Life Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Horrible customer service. It's been 2 months and I still can't log in to the website. 1 month into the insurance plan and I got no documentation via email or US mail. Of course they had my address wrong. 2 months and I still can't log in to the website, my policy doesn't show up. Good luck trying to find the correct URL to use. I called the 800 number and the women was horrible. I could not hear her and she gave me attitude because I asked her multiple items to please speak louder. I still cannot see my declarations page. I can't log in. It's true what they say. You get what you pay for. I should have stayed with Geico. I don't even want to think about if I have to file a claim with these people. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My husband had a whole life insurance policy with MetLife/Brighthouse for over 5 years and when he passed away on October 6, 2018 I was told as soon as the mortuary was paid I would receive funds. It has now been over 30 days and no payout so far. First, they said the mortuary had not sent an invoice (they did a number of times). And then when I telephone their 800 number I tried to communicate with someone whose accent was such that I could not understand her. She (I think) told me that I would get the money within ten days - when that didn't happen I called back over and over again and no one seemed to know what was going on.

Last week they sent me a form to fill out and still no money. I would never deal with these disorganized, unprofessional people again. I needed the money in order to put our house on the market since it was a VA mortgage and I am not able to qualify on my own with just a retirement income. My son, his wife and me (three days after my husband's death) had to clean out a house, get rid of furniture and get the house ready to sell. This has been the most stressful event that I have ever had to go through and was certainly not made any easier with MetLife's inability to get a check to me so I would not go into foreclosure. Shame on them!!

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have to pay yearly premium: issue: 1. I am not able to log in with my old credential. 2. Not able to reset password as not receiving password generation code in mail trying since several hour. 3. Given customer care no is invalid. Now let me know what anyone can do. I have not seen such a poor service ever.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I went to update payment on my policy and could not access it online. When I called, no one seemed to be able to locate my policy based on the number I was provided. After finding another company for half the price I decided to cancel the policy. First, after going through the automated voice system several times and it always telling me I needed to call back during business hours, no matter what time of day I tried, I finally said "new policy". I miraculously got through to a person. They still could not locate my policy but assured me it was canceled. When I called back the next day to get a cancellation number the lady tried for twenty minutes to locate my policy and finally said, "yeah, I'd cancel too." It wasn't until I requested a refund of the money paid over the past year, since clearly I didn't have a policy, that they managed to locate my policy. These people are a joke and I question their ability to actually cover you should you need to file a claim.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I am in contact with the BBB and an attorney for double charges that should not have occurred. I had to change my billing address four separate times and even then, their autopay option, which was forced upon me because apparently there is no choice in the matter, did not go through and I was charged a late fee every other week. Now that I cancelled my insurance, I am being charged another exorbitant late fee, supposedly for previous "late" fee occurrences. I made manual payments for every single one of these charges. Every time I attempted to contact their call center, I was hung up on, excused away, and then ultimately told that they had no supervisors to assist them and that they would attempt to contact me in a few days. I would only recommend this company to people I don't like.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

By far the worst company ever to have disability with. My case worker was giving inaccurate information. They took forever to pay me. I will be checking to see if I could change to Aflac beginning of next year. Being on maternity leave and dealing with this ** company was not fun at all. Thank goodness I have a wonderful support system.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The international savings plan from MetLife is one of the worst plans on earth with Highest fund management charges and ridiculous conditions. You will have to pay a minimum of 4-6% annually on all the charges to MetLife and your chances of earning starts only if you gain more than 7% every year. Now on top of this please note that if you plan to exit before the full term they will take away a minimum of 50% of your hard earned investment and call it as surrender charges. By far this is the worst policy I have ever seen and please do note that while selling the plan they won't reveal you any costs or conditions. Better Read the T&C's correctly if you don't want to be trapped.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

They're definitely NOT Aflac. I purchased MetLife Critical Illness coverage via my employer. I had to be approved for coverage. I was informed that it was MetLife not my employer who did the approval. I thought ok, good. They never asked for my medical history. I had double mastectomy the prior year and still under doctors care.

Falling further behind in my bills, I decided to file a claim July 2018. I faxed in original pathology reports as requested. It is now Sept and no decision. I did call mid Aug. The rep said they ordered more medical records for review pre existing. I commented MetLife approved me. She said my company approved me. My employer does not pay the claims. They're not underwriters. She stated they weren't underwriters. Any insurance company has underwriting department. I worked insurance claims for 10 years. Cancer center sent records Aug 27th. It is now 9/5/18, still waiting. I was approved for them to receive premium. I asked before filing the claim was there any other paperwork/questionnaire to complete. The response was no.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The critical care insurance was sold based upon coverage like “heart by-pass” where critical care would have to take place. I was told that the coverage would be provided for other “like conditions”. I had open heart surgery to replace a heart valve and when I processed the claim, it was denied. They had no issues with cashing my checks for the premiums but refused to take care of me when it counted and was needed.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

MetLife is a company that does not truly value customers as they claim to. I was with MetLife for 10 years and am truly appalled at the treatment I received. After purchasing a new car I was told that my insurance was all set and I was covered with the new vehicle. Despite being told that information, someone canceled my insurance leaving me without any coverage. I was not notified about my lack of insurance until the RMV contacted me to let me know. Once I called MetLife to sort the issue the rep that helped me would not answer my call and would instantly forward me to a different local agency. Despite my pleas and explanations MetLife said there was nothing they could and left my insurance canceled forcing me to switch to another company. I am not a problematic driver and have never even gotten a speeding ticket. If you want to save yourself from a company that does not value you then do not open a policy with MetLife.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am set up for auto-pay. I have always paid manually until this past week while having eye surgery. Auto pay set on the 29th. They did not deduct payment & charged me on 8-1 a $25 late fee. They refuse to credit when I had to pay manually. Service rep could not explain why they didn’t deduct with auto pay. But refused to credit late charge. Worst customer service ever. Rude and would not let me talk to a supervisor. Basically they stole $25 from me. I have never missed a payment & always pay early. This time I had to rely on autopay, they messed up and I got shafted! I would like help in resolution.

Original review: July 23, 2018

While preparing to retire and get all my documents in order, I called Brighthouse. The first day I called 6 different numbers because the system kept telling me I was in the wrong place. Finally got through only to be told I needed to be transferred again. On hold for 48 minutes. Received the paperwork necessary and then needed a number on the form in order to complete it. Called again - 52 minutes this time - hung up - called again and transferred three times. Still don't have the information and it is a simple question in order to complete their paperwork. Currently on hold again for the last 63 minutes and still no one answers. Three days to get something answered. Do they have only one real, live person available?

Original review: July 12, 2018

I cancelled my policy with MetLife on 6/11/2018. I understood that they would have to take the June payment from my paycheck because I was doing payroll deduct. They took partial payment on 6/29/2018 and sent a letter stating that they would take the rest on 7/13/2018. I check my pay stub on 7/12/2018 to find out that they took 725.00 from my paycheck. So I called and spoke with someone in payroll deduct and was informed that they should have cancelled the payroll deduct but they didn't so it was their mistake, but they won't be able to get my money back to me until the end of July.

It was so quick for them to snatch it from my check but they are dragging their feet to give me my money back. I was even told that for me to contact my payroll at work to see if they can give me the money, what!!! It was not my job's fault. As soon as I cancelled the policy everything should have cancelled with it. What the hell!!! I do not recommend MetLife to anyone. If you receive things in the mail saying that they are a great insurance company that is all lies. Do not trust them.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I paid quarterly payments for long term care starting age 33. At 47 after I had moved to another city. MetLife did not record my new address in their system correctly while they accepted payments from my new online banking account. When a family member was going through cancer I was reminded I had missed some payments and contacted MetLife to catch up. I had not heard from them in over a year, but my checks were clearing. When I called I learned my policy had been cancelled and they were sending my cancellation notice to an old address.

As I fit in the window under my policy to do reapply I did, to catch up and pay what was due to get reinstated. However, MetLife used the same health conditions I had at 33, same height and weight, to decline me at age 47, saying they didn't know at 33 I had those the way I had enrolled at the time. In the same time frame as I had been cancelled MetLife ended their long term care benefit options, and were not accepting new clients. 14 years of quarterly payments down the drain. If only karma would remembers MetLife and their descendants when they least expect it for scamming people. Unless you plan to sit at one address all your life, one bank, one zip code, don't pay a penny for MetLife products or services.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I have been with MetLife tor over 30 years! As long as you have no claims all is good! Every time I submitted a claim they are always looking for ways to reject it! I recently filed a claim for sump pump failure, sewer seepage, & broken window in window well. Because the window well window was broke due to ground water they will not cover anything! I have sump pump failure insurance!

This is totally unacceptable in my opinion as all I wanted covered was the wall board replacement, carpet and vanity in bathroom and payment for having commercial co dry the basement out so we could salvage as much as possible! We removed the carpet and padding ourselves and we also cut off 13 inches of wallboard to avoid traveling up the wall and creating mold & mildew! We did everything we could to salvage as much as possible! We worked night and day for 3 days straight! They don’t really care about you just the money you pay for high premiums!!!

Original review: June 20, 2018

I was with MetLife for over 3 years and everything was ok till I switched to another insurance company in April 2018. I was supposed to get two checks back for a car and a home policy. The smallest check was for $34 dollars and I got it in no time. The second check was for $880 dollars, it has been over 2 months from early April 2018 to 06/20/2018 and I have not received it yet. I have called them in five different times, every time I called is a different story from the representatives.

This ** sucks, they are playing with my escrow money. I am very disappointed and very surprised that a company like MetLife will do some ** like this. I am so happy I left them, I went to another insurance company and I was able to saved $1000 per year for my home insurance and my auto policy cost me less as well for a better coverage. I will never do business again with liars and dishonest people that gave me a different story every time I called. I just hope they won't do the same ** when a customer has a claim to fix a $50K or $100K vehicle.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Great company and easy to work with. Knowledgeable staff, too. But I wish it didn't outsource employees/policy information. It also takes longer to resolve matters. However, the outsourced 3rd parties are very polite and professional.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I am due two separate life insurance payouts from MetLife. They did pay the funeral home promptly. Once I notified them of my benefit they sent documentation to send back which I did. The first excuse was that they were confused by two payouts even though each account is separate numbers. They didn't call to clarify, I discovered by calling them. Next MetLife had that I and my deceased husband worked at the same location, this has never been the case. Again I discovered by calling them. Then one payment went to their TCA account instead of my bank as I selected. I then had to call the TCA # and a check is mailed to me (what we wanted to avoid).

The other payout they have now said there is confusion over the dates of policy payment so I had to get my employer involved. It is still not resolved after 30 days. Other insurer policies did not have the TCA issue and the payments arrived as described. For this reason I would not ever have MetLife life insurance as it puts the payee in an unfair and delayed position.

Original review: June 2, 2018

MetLife is a pretty good insurance company. They are responsive when needed, but still need to be more attuned to their policyholders. I sometime have a problem getting a response. The cost is pretty high and seems to continue to rise, which does not make me happy.

Original review: June 1, 2018

On April 5, 2018, I was involved in a traffic accident in which my vehicle was rear-ended by another while I was stopped at a traffic light, resulting in my colliding into the car in front of me. Of the three vehicles involved, two of the drivers (myself and the woman in front of me) were covered by Commerce Insurance. The vehicle which caused the accident was insured by Metropolitan (the son of the car owner was driving). My insurance company handled the claim promptly, with respect to helpful assistance in the aftermath, collecting data/statements, arriving at a damage estimate (my car was a total loss), and paying out the claim. The day after the accident, I phoned Metropolitan in response to a request for contact and made a full statement. I was provided a claim number and the name of an adjuster.

The only thing I needed to rely on Metropolitan for was covering my rental while I searched for a new vehicle (once my car was declared a total loss). My initial adjuster quoted me the daily rental charge they cover should liability be accepted, and I rented a small vehicle within those parameters. While the rental was being used, I was informed Metropolitan was ‘investigating the claim’ (keep in mind, my vehicle and the one in front of me were at a dead stop); I was informed on various occasions of numerous issues with the investigation which prevented them from accepting liability and covering my rental at that time, was asked to be patient and if it was not settled by the time I returned the rental to pay out of pocket and submit a receipt for reimbursement.

Ultimately, this was what I had to do, and on 4/24 emailed the adjuster a receipt for $464.75. Since this time, I was informed twice that they were still investigating, and subsequently that there was a new investigation, this time to determine whether the driver of their covered vehicle was registered. At that point I was told that while clearly the other driver (the one who hit me), was liable, this new investigation still needed to be completed prior to any reimbursement being made. I was then referred to a new adjuster (who for some reason I am unclear on took over the case), who I contacted and spoke to on two occasions.

On both she informed me that the investigation was ongoing, and when we last spoke (2+ weeks back), I was told that there was a claim meeting that Friday and she would get back to me with an update. I received no update, nor have I been reimbursed, so I called Metropolitan again today. My new adjuster was unavailable, so I initially spoke with another claims rep who indicated that the claim notes indicated they were still awaiting a statement. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was informed they were gone for the day. I was transferred to a member of my adjuster’s ‘team’ who informed me that there were ‘serious coverage issues’ and that they could not commit to any form of reimbursement at this time. As a result, I would have to wait as they are ‘actively working on it’.

It has been roughly two months now since the accident. I have been in a new vehicle since 4/24, and at this point am still waiting for resolution to two separate investigations of an accident for which liability could not be more evident (the police officer at the scene took about 30 seconds to declare the driver who struck my car at fault, and he admitted to the fact). I have had to deal with two separate adjusters, through phone and email correspondence, paid more than $450 out of pocket, have met every requirement and request of Metropolitan personnel, and continue to have my reimbursement delayed.

At this point, I cannot help but feel that resolution is being delayed unnecessarily, and I am simply being given the run-around from a large company who feels they have all the power in this matter. I would hate to think how long this issue would have been delayed and how many adjusters and investigations would have been required if the driver of the insured vehicle were not so clearly at fault. Needless to say, Metropolitan will not be on my list of potential insurers when my own policy requires renewal, and I finally determined my experiences should be shared in order that others can take them into consideration in determining who they will choose to meet their own insurance needs. I will post a follow-up to this review if and when my claim is resolved.

Original review: May 28, 2018

As of April first I cancelled my homeowners and auto insurance with MetLife. I have yet to receive a final bill and statement of account. Instead of communicating with about the matter they have sent my unexplained bill to a collection agency that are now threatening me. MetLife has consistently raised my premiums regardless of the fact that I have never made a claim with them. This was over the course of five years. This must be standard procedure when they lose a valuable customer and guaranteeing that they will never bother with them again.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I had a great conversation with the insurance agent, they were very detail oriented and helped me understand everything and took the time to help me choose a policy that would work best for my wants and needs. The company was very personable too. I didn't feel pressured and the monthly rates are very reasonable so I signed up. But I wish the online portal was more user-friendly because it can be confusing to use, but other than that I have been extremely pleased with the insurance company and my policy.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I like my policy and the amounts I can carry. Also I like the customer service I get. They are really fast and friendly. I never have to wait for a response and I never have to wait on hold to speak to customer service. I've had nothing but good experiences. Really fast and friendly customer service. Knowing that I'm protected and feeling secure with this company is great. I wish the policy payments were a little less expensive but even then I'm paying a very reasonable amount. I really enjoy being a customer of theirs. Overall I would recommend them to family and friends.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have had a wonderful time using MetLife as my provider. I don't think they go above and beyond in any way, but I will always appreciate how very easy it is to do business with them. It has all been a very easy process. It's a whole life policy, not term, so once I got it set up, locked in at a good rate while I was in my 20s, it runs smoothly with automatic payments each month, and each year I get a statement of its earnings. I don't even have to think about it, which is nice. But it might be nice to be able to have some control. For example, if I could annually or biannually be made aware of investment opportunities that could be used to increase the size of the policy at a faster rate.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My overall experience with MetLife Life is great and I love the company. I like their plans and products. They have great people that work for them. It is good and the best of it all. I would recommend it all.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I purchased MetLife Life insurance through my employer and carried it into retirement. It was the only life insurance available when I purchased it. I get the insurance fee at a reduced rate after retirement and that I don't have to worry about having insurance, especially at my age. Trying to get another insurance would be extremely expensive for my age group. But I would expect a little more communication with MetLife. Since I have retired, I have not heard anything from them even though I still carry the insurance. I would like to hear from them, even if it is just an email telling me they are still around.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I have had a term life insurance policy with MetLife since 1978. The monthly premium was $25 for 37 years. A week ago I received a letter saying I needed to pay $360 to keep my insurance. I called and found out they had used up the cash value of my policy to pay for increasing administrative costs and that I should have increased my premium.

I was never notified that I SHOULD increase my premium in 37 years and if I choose to continue the premiums will now be $160 with no longer existing call value.

I asked why I was never notified over years to increase the premium and they said they send a yearly printout and I said that never said I should increase payment. I said the print out of a record of my years payments and "the cash value is... if you stop making payment, the policy will be worth..." They said could have figured it out if I did the math and if I couldn't they have people who could help. I said I certainly COULD do the math IF I had known for 37 years that I NEEDED TO! VERY disreputable company!! I am now exploring new company since I checked online and hard to find ANY positive reviews of the company!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

MetLife was recommended to us by a friend over thirty years ago. The agent Asked what we wanted so she could meet our need. We explained we were younger at the time and wanted something with a large payout if one of us were to die but would like something that would also grow through the years that we could cash in when we were old if we needed more money to subsidize our income. She was patient and went over several policies and we chose one. We are very happy with our policies with MetLife. Our policies have increased in cash in value greatly through the years. We have reached our golden years but have no need in cashing the policies in at this time. We now receive quartet dividends although we still pay a yearly fee of around five hundred dollar.

Original review: April 17, 2018

MetLife Life has the best policies and benefits for the price. I value them much more than other life insurance companies. They treat me properly with respect and dignity. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 30, 2018

My children’s father passed away four months ago and MetLife has yet to pay out on the claim. They just keep giving my daughter the runaround. It was a good thing that we were able to pay for her father’s funeral out of pocket since MetLife has yet to pay out. Don’t use MetLife. They are thieves who use every trick that they can not to pay on a claim. Every time she calls they just add another 5 days to how long it may take and give another excuse. This is one of the worst insurance companies out here.

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one the largest insurance sales companies in the world. MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries and started their business in 1868. MetLife, Inc. is headquartered in New York City.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information