Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
MetLife Life
3.69/5

MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

438 MetLife Life Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

I was switching jobs and trying to convert a group life insurance policy provided by my ex-employer, to an individual policy. The customer service representative starts to ask all details like phone, email, DOB etc. and at some point of time, I asked her why they ask all that information when I am already an existing customer. She told me that she is filling a form to be submitted to MassMutual at which point of time, I myself got online and found the form to be submitted. Surprisingly, the form does not have Date Of Birth field. When I asked the representative, she said she is just following the procedure.

I submitted the online form myself and requested for the supervisor to call me back. After a few minutes, someone called back saying that he is the supervisor and when I asked why DOB is asked when the online form does not have that filed, he also said that he is just following the procedure. Very disappointed that they are not able to find my details and also not able to explain the unnecessary details being asked.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Wow. My family have been solicited by mail for several years. So I took the time and started a quote with MetLife. After about a total of 2-3 hours of back and forth over several days and with a written quote, the rep informed me that my home is within two miles of a river and that qualifies it to be in a hurricane zone. Therefore, the underwriters of MetLife cannot proceed with the insurance coverage. But offered Auto as a consolation. No thanks. The whole point is to bundle. But wait there's more. A few months later, we get a mailing stating that they have an "updated quote" for us. Again, after waiting what seemed like a eternity, the rep said the their computer program automatically generates a mailing even though one was turned down recently. Wow again. What a colossal waste of time.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My father passed away and I was notified he had a policy. Without checking they sent funds to where they should not have been sent. Even though he had a trust which specified how disbursement should be, they are not interested. Customer service could care less. Now must get attorney involved. Called again today and in meetings no one available. Anyone know if Consumer Protection can help or any other agencies?

Original review: June 3, 2019

My claim was verified 2-26-19. I still don't have a check. None of the reps can tell the amount due, or when the check will be mailed. I get transferred to the "claims" department (this is who I thought I was already speaking with??? ); then I am on hold for over 30 minutes at a time. I hang up, call back, I get an automated message saying they are currently experiencing technical difficulty.

Original review: June 2, 2019

This company is a good place for maltreatment of grieving family members who follow the deceased instructions for life insurance claims. My brother paid most of his life into this policy. His sudden death of pancreatic cancer, unknown by him or us, struck our family very hard. Two months after his death, our mother died. So this compounded our grieving. The last thing I ever thought I would have to go through is a battle with the life insurance my brother paid for that was intended to help pay for his burial cost and help his only family. MetLife acts this policy belongs to them and they are doing us a favor and treating us like we have no rights! Being unprepared is a problem but there is no excuse for maltreatment of the families that are suffering loss of a much beloved family member. SHAME ON YOU.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: May 27, 2019

My wife and I were loyal customers for more than 20 years. We recently moved from California to South Carolina. First issue, our premium hardly changed at all, which most would think getting into ANY state other than CA would drastically reduce the premiums. Our main issue began when we got our premium payment returned to us with zero explanation. We were then sent a bill to pay our premium, which we did again, and they returned it again stating they cancelled our policy. I called them the day we got the returned check and the customer service rep said we sent the payment in for the wrong account.

I asked why they wouldn’t bother to look at our account and see that THEY changed our account number and apply the payment to the correct one, we have our homeowners through them as well, they said my name was too common so they wouldn’t be able to do something like that. There are 89 people in the US with my name. How many can seriously be with MetLife?

They failed tell us at ANY point that they closed our account and opened a NEW account. I was told that they couldn’t do anything and that I would have to start a new policy. That new policy quote was MORE than we paid in California two months earlier! While I understand they are a large company I was told that both my auto and home policies were linked in their system. If they are linked how could they not figure out this issue? Long story and there is a lot I left out but, I suggest going with Progressive or Geico. Both gave me quotes for my auto insurance that were MUCH LOWER than MetLife. I got the best rate through Geico and because of the way we were treated I will be switching my homeowners as well. Hope this helps someone make the right decision

Original review: May 11, 2019

When I was in my 30's I purchased Life Insurance for my wife and I that would increase in value and would leave us some money to retire on. I trusted that Metropolitan Life was a reputable company to do something like this with so I went through life never with a worry and had my 58 dollar premiums automatically deducted from my bank every month which I set up over ten years ago. I would call from time to time and check on the available funds and there would be thousands of dollars available and I would feel great knowing I was building retirement for the future. A few years ago it became harder to call and get this information sometimes taking even a month before you actually reached the proper information just due to the time it took to call them.

In two months I will turn 62 so I took my whole lunch hour to call them and check on the funds and I was shocked when the lady told me in an accent I could barely understand that there was only 828.00 dollars left in the account! She was very rude and explained that my premiums had increased over the years so I was always in default and they were taking the money from the accumulated funds to cover the cost. I explained that I always paid my premiums and that they only billed me for the 58 dollars and I never knew of any increase! How can someone Increase your premiums but still bill you for the original premium every month for years? THAT DOESN'T SEEM LEGAL! IT SEEMS MORE LIKE A SCAM! I'm currently seeking help, any advice from anyone would be helpful. Walter **.

Original review: April 27, 2019

When I call, the automated system just tells me who my agent is and hangs up. I want to speak to someone!!! My agent isn't always available when I need help or have questions. Customer service is good, when you can reach them. Lately, I have been asking for the sales department so I can speak to someone and ask for a transfer to auto & home. This way, I reach a live person... I don't know what genius decided to implement this change but Metlife will lose my business as I am ready to search for a new insurance company. I have been with Metlife for many years. I suspect many people will leave!

Original review: April 26, 2019

I filed paperwork on myself on 3/29/19 to get paid for my cancer. My oncologist sent in numerous pieces of documentation in addition to the documentation that I had from my primary care doctors about my diagnosis. Now, it seems that I have to prove I didn't have cancer when my policy went into effect 2 years ago. If I had the type of cancer 2 years ago that I am diagnosed with now (Ovarian Cancer), any trained verification department would know that I didn't have it due to how the cancer is treated (which is surgical removal of both ovaries). Documentation proved I still have primary sites. I talked to a Supervisor who stated that all the verification was due to attempted fraud, but it seems like MetLife is just looking for a reason not to pay me what is owed to me.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Since becoming Brighthouse, it seems that their customer service has really gone downhill. I called today for a simple letter showing my cash value and was told a letter would be prepared and mailed in "7 to 10 business days." That's ridiculous! The other 3 companies I called today for the same thing sent letters immediately. I don't understand why a corporation that's supposedly so successful can't be more responsive to clients' needs. But then...you have to care about service as much as you do about sales, and they obviously don't!

Original review: April 23, 2019

I was supposed to have an annuity payment beginning April 1. I have called constantly and I get another flimsy story every time. No one seems to be able to get an answer about when I will begin receiving my annuity, which is my money. They say they understand my frustration and will email paperwork, return the call in 2-3 business days, send paperwork in the mail. NO FOLLOW THROUGH whatsoever. Terrible company.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have been calling MetLife for a month now! I have been getting the runaround and am getting nowhere. I call and call and nothing is getting done! I just need a simple email with my statement and they refuse! Oh, I've been on hold for over 15 mins today. Lol!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I canceled my auto policy and requested stop payroll deductions. After I canceled my policy they still took $684.51 from my payroll. When asked to refund my money I keep getting the runaround passing me off to different people every time I call to find out when I will receive my money. Everyone has told me something different and than offer their apologies. Tired of apologies. I just want my money. I would never recommend them to anyone.???

Original review: April 15, 2019

If you ever need insurance I would suggest not even considering MetLife unless you like having to deal with only automated attendants and having actual people that you do speak with like to you. They said my policy would be renewed but when I go to purchase a vehicle I find out I don't have insurance and it has lapsed which is going to cost me a fortune - I had 1 accident in 23 years of driving and they won't renew, and didn't tell me they weren't renewing, and you CANNOT SPEAK WITH ANYONE ABOUT ANY ISSUES! Just terrible company. Do not buy anything unless you don't have a choice.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I want to complain about the service at Metlife Critical Illness Insurance. This is an insurance Metlife provides for cancer and other major health issues. Today I called the customer service line, and the service was terrible. One major problem occurred when I asked if I qualified for full cancer benefits or partial cancer benefits. This qualification depends on a few things, but a major factor is the TNM score of the primary tumor. They at first refused to read me the qualifications for both cancers because "I wouldn't understand it", which I insisted. Then I asked if my T2N0M0 cancer with surgery and chemo would qualify for full benefits, and they said that they cannot answer that question and there was no one familiar with the claims process that I could talk to.

It was very disrespectful that the attendant assumed I would would not be able to understand the qualifications. I do not blame the call attendant, but this is a serious fail on Metlife, especially since the person I talked to is supposed to help with just the Critical Illness Insurance. Two stars because they did send me the form needed to complete my claim.

Original review: March 28, 2019

This is the most disgraceful insurance company I have ever dealt with. If I could give them a negative 5 I would. My original quote was $179/paycheck. I then received a letter indicating that my rate is going to be $223 per paycheck. Upon calling to find out the difference in what I was quoted verbally vs what was in writing I was told "I don't know. I'll look into it." After not hearing back from the agent for 2 days I emailed her back and was told the $88 monthly difference was because they were breaking up my payments over 25 pay periods instead of 26. $88 per month x 12 month is $1,056 annually.

How is that a difference of one paycheck? When I responded to this email that this makes absolutely no sense I did not receive another response. I have now switched to another company and I am paying $206 monthly! They are a rip off and try to make it seem convenient because it is being deducted from your paycheck. Do not fall for it!!!

Original review: March 27, 2019

MetLife is a post-tax deduction I pay each pay period, and it's highly subsidized through my employer. I really appreciate that it's inexpensive by of deductions, and it will provide a great deal of assistance to family in the event anything critical occurs that ends my life. I have no dependents, but I've named my young niece and nephew as primary beneficiaries, and my MetLife Term Life Insurance policy would allow them to better afford education.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I had a hysterectomy on 2-15-19. They keep giving me the runaround. They are trying to say that my condition was pre-existing. How is a hysterectomy pre-existing? I have been out of work for over a month with no income. This is a horrible insurance company. They act like we are stealing from them and treating me badly. I called today and they told me that they finally have all the paperwork and I have to wait another 10 business days for them to review the claim. This truly isn’t fair for someone who has had a life changing surgery.

Original review: March 20, 2019

High fees, very little investment options, absolutely careless financial advisers that do not respond on questions and requests, very poor website - those are ingredients of the product 'MetLife IRA Annuity'. So sorry, we kept losing money with them for years. Now closed our accounts for the price of termination fee but to stay with them would be even worse. Should be done years ago, my flout. And you know what? On transfer to another company they also charged 'Guaranteed income' fee (!!!) Shame on you, MetLife!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Called today to make sure the extra money I have been sending lately should go to paying off a loan I had with them. They tell me that I haven't been paying enough on my premium to pay for my life insurance. I get a bill from them every month for $30.00. They claim I should be paying $70+ dollars a month and they are getting close to cancelling me for non-payment. Been with them for 27 years. I was told that my payment went up every year after the 2nd year. They never sent me a bill for the increases for 25 yrs. I paid my bill every month for what they billed me ($30). They claim I should have read the annual report to see the increases. I said they should send me my real monthly payment if the payments go up. I'm not an insurance knowledgeable person. I send in what they bill me just like any bill I get every month. They don't tell you that your premiums have been going up every year!!!

So 25 years have gone by and I've paid what they bill me. I'm supposed to know that the increases are sent to me once a year in the yearly report they send to me. This has got to be on purpose for them to cancel anyone's policies for non payment. They said on the phone to me that a lot of people inquire about this same problem. Disgusting that they don't put increases on your monthly bill!!! You need to read their yearly report. Bullcrap. This should be looked into and prosecuted for deceiving millions of people who have been cancelled or threatened to lose their policies. Rick **. Calling my senators!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have had heart issues in the past even been hospitalized. Well my wife was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Of course this caused a lot of stress on my heart. I filed for FMLA/STD because my doctor took me off work for my issues. My wife had a heart transplant Sept 1st and my FMLA was approved but not my STD because they said it was for my wife. It was for me. I fought this daily until I was forced back to work even though my doctor was against it. I worked for 2 to 3 weeks and my blood pressure shot to 245/148 needless to say they found 4 blocked arteries end of Jan.

I had open heart surgery Feb 8th. Well guess what I did get approved after almost dying. The worse part is the way my case manager talked to me. She about caused me a heart attack a few days before surgery. She was so rude to me. I would not want anyone to experience what I have at the worse time ever. I just wanted to give up. But I was assigned a different lady for my appeal and she was great! I would rather go through another heart transplant than ever deal with MetLife again. They about killed me the last 5 months.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I wanted to cancel my Term Life insurance which I bought for myself years ago almost 10 years ago. Obviously I have changed my name through marriage and moved a couple of times. I have provided my social security number, birthdate, name, current last name and yet they still say I am not the person on the policy. I have provided my bank account to which they have been debiting my payments to them. They are so fast to get payments but give me the runaround when I wanted to cancel the term life insurance.

I have spoken to several customer service people and a supervisor and yet I could not cancel the insurance. My social security number has not changed even if I remarried, changed names nor moved addresses in the last 10 years. They don’t even double check my social security nor update their account of the changes in name and address I have been telling them. This insurance is ridiculous. I purchased that insurance for myself and I can’t cancel it when I don’t want or need it anymore. Nobody seem to understand nor want to assist me. They make it difficult to Cancel this insurance.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The insurance doubles in price, I have been paying on my policy for over 40 years. It looks like I will have to cancel my policy or go to the poor house. At the age of 85 it doubles again. You cannot afford to Live.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

After paying into my MetLife whole life for more than 15 years, and having my dividends pay for the premiums, when I turned 65, the dividends mysteriously no longer covered the premiums. Now I am being forced to pay more than $2,200 per year for a $150,000 policy. And they refuse to send me a copy of my policy. None of this is a coincidence.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Applied for term life insurance and waited 8 weeks only to be denied coverage for a minor non-life threatening pre-existing condition. My life expectancy remains the same as a healthy male my age and my condition is not known to be connected to any other conditions. Don't bother with this crappy company if you have a pre-existing condition. Waste of time. Only 100% healthy people or people with a condition who haven't been to a doctor need to apply. Shame on me for going to a doctor. Now my condition is documented. I do not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Similar to other comments on this website, I have been unable to reach Brighthouse Financial/MetLife for several days. No matter what time or day I call or what day I call, they are always "experiencing high call volumes". I have yet to get through to an actual customer representative. The average time I have waited until I have disconnected is in excess of 40 minutes. I have even tried to reach them in conjunction with a Vanguard representative to see if they knew a better access number. They had a similar situation. I have been unable to access my annuity account. Next up is a complaint to the SEC.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I purchased a policy for my husband. When he experienced an illness covered by the policy, Cancer, MetLife distorted, either due to incompetence, dishonesty or both, interpretation of his medical records and refused to pay the benefits of the policy. Another insurance company with whom we had a policy, Aflac, reviewed the same medical records and promptly paid benefits. We would recommend that MetLife not be trusted by any consumer.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

When I signed up, the agent was very responsive in trying to get me the best deal. Wasn’t happy with his first couple quotes until he came back with more coverage at the same price I was already paying except one month free, so sure why not. The payments were scheduled to come out automatically. To my surprise I was charged the first month and I wasn’t supposed to be! I email the agent with no response so the second time I emailed him and said I was going to cancel if he didn’t fix this!

He emailed me back and said, "Oops my fault..." His fix was like $10 off! So I email again stating, "This is not what you quoted me..." No response again so I called to cancel and went back to Geico. That was Aug, today I received a collection bill for unpaid portion! I never received a final bill, although I was set up on auto pay too so why wouldn’t they just have taken it out when I canceled if I owed on part of the policy I canceled! I’ve never had such a horrible experience and now I have a tarnish on my credit because their lack of integrity sent me to collections without notifying me!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Horrible customer service. It's been 2 months and I still can't log in to the website. 1 month into the insurance plan and I got no documentation via email or US mail. Of course they had my address wrong. 2 months and I still can't log in to the website, my policy doesn't show up. Good luck trying to find the correct URL to use. I called the 800 number and the women was horrible. I could not hear her and she gave me attitude because I asked her multiple items to please speak louder. I still cannot see my declarations page. I can't log in. It's true what they say. You get what you pay for. I should have stayed with Geico. I don't even want to think about if I have to file a claim with these people. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My husband had a whole life insurance policy with MetLife/Brighthouse for over 5 years and when he passed away on October 6, 2018 I was told as soon as the mortuary was paid I would receive funds. It has now been over 30 days and no payout so far. First, they said the mortuary had not sent an invoice (they did a number of times). And then when I telephone their 800 number I tried to communicate with someone whose accent was such that I could not understand her. She (I think) told me that I would get the money within ten days - when that didn't happen I called back over and over again and no one seemed to know what was going on.

Last week they sent me a form to fill out and still no money. I would never deal with these disorganized, unprofessional people again. I needed the money in order to put our house on the market since it was a VA mortgage and I am not able to qualify on my own with just a retirement income. My son, his wife and me (three days after my husband's death) had to clean out a house, get rid of furniture and get the house ready to sell. This has been the most stressful event that I have ever had to go through and was certainly not made any easier with MetLife's inability to get a check to me so I would not go into foreclosure. Shame on them!!

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one the largest insurance sales companies in the world. MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries and started their business in 1868. MetLife, Inc. is headquartered in New York City.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information