3.12/5
Based on 53 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 18, 2018

382 MetLife Life Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

I have had a term life insurance policy with MetLife since 1978. The monthly premium was $25 for 37 years. A week ago I received a letter saying I needed to pay $360 to keep my insurance. I called and found out they had used up the cash value of my policy to pay for increasing administrative costs and that I should have increased my premium.

I was never notified that I SHOULD increase my premium in 37 years and if I choose to continue the premiums will now be $160 with no longer existing call value.

I asked why I was never notified over years to increase the premium and they said they send a yearly printout and I said that never said I should increase payment. I said the print out of a record of my years payments and "the cash value is... if you stop making payment, the policy will be worth..." They said could have figured it out if I did the math and if I couldn't they have people who could help. I said I certainly COULD do the math IF I had known for 37 years that I NEEDED TO! VERY disreputable company!! I am now exploring new company since I checked online and hard to find ANY positive reviews of the company!!

Original review: March 30, 2018

My children’s father passed away four months ago and MetLife has yet to pay out on the claim. They just keep giving my daughter the runaround. It was a good thing that we were able to pay for her father’s funeral out of pocket since MetLife has yet to pay out. Don’t use MetLife. They are thieves who use every trick that they can not to pay on a claim. Every time she calls they just add another 5 days to how long it may take and give another excuse. This is one of the worst insurance companies out here.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 30, 2018

MetLife refuses to pay my claim, I am choosing to have a bridge and they will only pay for a partial. If there is a cheaper option, that is what they will pay. Cheaper isn't always better, we have paid into this insurance for 30 years and to be denied is an insult and should be against the law. Insurance company should not be able to dictate what the customer is willing to pay for.

Original review: March 14, 2018

The cost of this service has been constantly increasing over the past few years and I think it has to do with less companies being in this market so it seems like these companies have an unfair advantage when it comes to setting the prices for the services they provide in the insurance industry. But I have never had any major issues using MetLife and it does provide me with a certain amount of security knowing that I have insurance from a reputable brand that is known for being a leader in its market and industry so that is something that makes the brand more valuable to me.

Original review: March 14, 2018

MetLife has a wide range of standard policies as well as the flexibility to customize some. But I do not like some of their policy positions for businesses which makes one look elsewhere. For personal life insurance MetLife offers cookie-cutter policies many of which are offered by other companies with slightly different language. Nevertheless, one of the selling points for MetLife is financial stability. They are well established and trustworthy. Also, MetLife has some unique experience especially with personal life insurance and annuities.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: March 13, 2018

This company has been around forever and it offer some of the best options available that I have seen in the life insurance field and they are amazing. They help me find the best policy to take care of me and my family. I like this company because it's an affordable product yet it is a big amazing value for what you get and the customer service you receive. They changed their name to BrightHouse without much explanation to consumers but I believe they are an honest and trustworthy company. They have always gone above and beyond to help me solve my problems. I also recommend them to many people and I value their service.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I chose MetLife as they are best company to deal with. They are a reputable company. They are amazing and if I ever have a problem I know it will be taken care of. They are a wonderful company to be associated with and I have only good things to say about them. My overall experience with MetLife has been completely positive. MetLife is easy to deal with and I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: March 12, 2018

MetLife insurance is vast and has new features. I like the features, protection terms and how it helps with overall coverage. Claim process is easy too. The location is accessible and communication possible with continuous customer service and availability. But there may be issues with connecting to an online agent for chat and asking questions. The policy at times is long to read and difficult to explain in one sitting. Also, there are fewer options in the choice of life insurance types for an individual to start working and thinking to take one up. I also dislike the office locations as none is closer to my house or community. But my overall experience with MetLife insurance company has been okay... It was a good one with less hassle and hitches.

Original review: March 12, 2018

MetLife, they have a good reputation and the choice of policies was good. The customer service is decent and the hold times are acceptable for me. Our policy fits our situation pretty good for our needs. Compared companies to one another and MetLife met our expectations. I seem to pay a lot for insurance, though. I’m rather young for electing to purchase life insurance so a much lower premium would be great!

Original review: March 11, 2018

Overall, my experience is positive. I don't know much about it but am glad that I have it. But it is too expensive for some people to have life insurance. The only way to improve the policy is to make it more affordable yet having the same coverage. The premiums should be less so that more people can afford this and not have to cancel their policy.

Original review: March 11, 2018 I like MetLife. They're caring and I chose it because they are well-known big player in industry. It has competitive rates. Good customer service, answers anytime. Friendly and honest. Safe, trustworthy, awesome. I like it gives me confidence. I can take care of my family in case I get sick or die like it they will be there for me.

I am happy chose company with MetLife.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I had MetLife insurance since I was little. It's not a bad plan, it has cash value in there and some rate of return. It has been around for a while so they did put in some time, which is just as important instead if it was a new company, upcoming and such. But they don't quite have the best sales force or customer service. They are also limiting their options for clients which makes it hard. MetLife can have better rate of return or more benefits to the plan. Their system is on average at best. There are better plans out there.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I like the fact that I get my MetLife insurance through work which makes it much easier to deal with. MetLife is pretty basic, straight up term life. But I don't really favor them over other insurance companies but I have no choice. Also, I do NOT like the website at all. It is terrible.

Original review: March 9, 2018

They have good customer service and they do everything I need to make me very happy as well. They are a very nice company and staff. I love them as a whole company. They have provided me with good insurance and are super friendly and easy to work with. They do everything well for what they do. Everything works well for my needs. They are quite awesome.

Original review: March 9, 2018

My insurance began as a benefit from a previous employer, after leaving the company I was offered to the choice to continue my plan with MetLife. I was a bit nervous about transitioning to a personal plan, but the representatives were very helpful and nice to work with. After the representative explained the benefits of staying, I renewed my plan as a personal policy. It was an easy transition to personal plan from employer. Overall MetLife is pretty good as a policy.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I find Metlife to be professional and very helpful. The customer service is great and their policy is affordable and cost less than other companies. The policy gave the highest coverage and offers my spouse and children some coverage too. It is great knowing my family would get a lot and would be taken care of if anything happened to me without me breaking the bank. MetLife's customer service, cost, and policy were outstanding and provided the best deal.

Original review: March 8, 2018

MetLife is a credible, trustworthy company and the experience is very good. All the services in this company are working in the top, that company is really in the good way, every day there are more improvements in each service. I like every features in this company and for it is that I buy services in this company. The company has been very responsible with its services and it makes me want to keep them for a long time. I love that company and I recommend it to all my friends and family.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I like the service and quality representatives answering the phone. The finest quality is their reports that are easy to read and understand. But the touch-tone time it takes to reach a representative sometimes taking 15 minutes or more. On top of it when you need specialized information you are switched to another person or two. Overall MetLife is good to acceptable. It is an insurance company and it is about their making money not service. I can not get past the idea that insurance is the next big scandal.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I was familiar with MetLife from seeing commercials with Snoopy. It's easy to pay automatically through my checking account and I like the coverage and the rates are pretty good too. Just right for someone like me and not too high which is nice. But they could lower the rates even more than they already are even though they pretty low.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Very good products, beneficial to the buyer. Excellent staff and knowledgeable customer service employees who respect and value the customers’ time. Very good and prompt response to all the concerns. Satisfied and very good experience.

Original review: March 4, 2018

MetLife has the best rates and I have had good customer experience with them in the past. They have a very good online site. They make it easy for me to modify the policies I have and change things as needed. I have automobile insurance through this company as well. They have been very helpful anytime I have had a claim in the past. But I do not like the lack of a mobile app for this company. I would like to have one in which I can interact with them for any questions or claims I might have.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I chose this company through my employer because it was convenient and offered at work. The rates are not too high and seemed competitive. It was easy to understand the terms and what I was paying for and have it deducted directly from my account. But I don't like the physical requirement. I had to take time off work to make an appointment and have blood draws that felt unnecessary and were time consuming and painful.

Original review: March 3, 2018

The policy I have with MetLife is an old policy and is paid up in premiums, and is a policy I have my entire life and will continue to have until my death. Very good experience with MetLife. Even though the face value of the insurance is not large, I do not have to worry about making premium payments. I receive small quarterly dividend checks but would prefer if they were added to the total of the life insurance policy to make it worth more.

Original review: March 2, 2018

When I was researching policies, MetLife felt to me to be the most open and honest. The sign-up process was hassle free and I felt like I mattered. Convenience and pressure free situations are what I like when I sign up for things, I want to make decisions on my own terms. MetLife could always lower their premiums, however it really isn't a major issue for me as I feel the cost is fair. Maybe some reward program for healthy behavior and decisions could be added to the plan. I like MetLife's friendly approach and the cost of the policies, they make it easy to research and choose what plan is best for me. I'm glad that I could do everything online and easily.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I chose MetLife because they had the policy that seemed to suit me needs the best. When I did choose them I was surprised at how great their customer service was and how helpful they are. They go above and beyond to help you and meet your needs when they can. I like that everything is easy when it comes to this company. Any issues I have or customer service they help me out right away and have no problems helping me when I need it. They go the extra way to take care of me every time. I also like that I can change my policy when I need to and I get updates on my policy all the time. This company has more compassionate than a lot of other companies out there.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I did a lot of research and found that MetLife was one of the top rated companies out there. MetLife is a strong stable company that has been in business for many many years. They were very good at discussing the amount of coverage I NEEDED and quoted me several different policies with different price points. They were very helpful and professional throughout the entire process. I am very pleased that I chose them for my policy. They are very easy to do business with. I was able to get my policy thru a stress-free environment. I purchased my policy online and the agent took their time to walk me thru the whole process. I received a good rate for my premium and if I ever have any questions or concerns there is always someone there to answer my questions.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

My parents had them for policies so I chose them as well. They never had any problems or issues with them and I have never had any problems with them or any errors in billing. They have never taken any unauthorized payments out or anything. They have good customer service. The policy is clear and easy to understand. I feel certain they would cover my family if something happened to me without any issues or problems or hassles. They are easy to deal with and they offer flexible and reasonable payment options. They also have a nice clear website that is easy to navigate. They are good the way they are but the customer service call times could be a bit shorter and a one-call resolution model would be ideal. Hate getting bounced around to different people when I call there for a question or a concern.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

MetLife is the most trustworthy and the friendliest company. I feel like they are out for my best interest, and I don't see myself going anywhere else. This company is the highest of the best quality and I like everything about them. I have been with them for years and they have never done anything to make me feel like I wasn't wanted or like I was not important.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I been with MetLife for many years and I feel their prices are not bad. Not only do I maintain a policy with them but I now am also a shareholder. They send me my dividend every 3 months which is quite helpful.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I currently have auto insurance with MetLife which is who my agent recommended to go with. We have been with MetLife for around 5 years and have never had a claim. In fact we haven’t had a claim in over 20 years with any insurance company. My wife recently had a small accident where she backed into another car and pushed in the fog light of the other vehicle. Upon talking with the MetLife auto insurance adjuster I explained that before this claim was paid I would like to be notified because I would most likely pay this claim out of pocket. I was told by MetLife that it would be fine to do this.

The adjuster told me she would call me back once they knew what the total cost would be and this could take a few weeks. About a month passed and I realized I had not heard back from MetLife. I decided to call and find out why I had not received a return call and was told the claim was paid. This was very frustrating to me because I was told that nothing could be done and the claim was already settled. To make matters worse my deductible is $500 and the claim was for $503. So as you can imagine my frustration with this company is huge. This is not a company I would recommend and will be going elsewhere with my insurance needs.

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one the largest insurance sales companies in the world. MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries and started their business in 1868. MetLife, Inc. is headquartered in New York City.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information