Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
MetLife Life
3.57/5

MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

MetLife Life Reviews

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I called to inquire about my policy. Spoke to LUIS in customer service, he got an attitude with me, was very vague in answering my questions and so I kept asking the same questions. I said "I want to know who to contact to help me with my policy" and he hung up on me. Great customer service MetLife.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

My Mother passed away 2 years ago this month! Still no check. First application I submitted they gave me the "we never received it" line. This is a leftover balance after funeral expenses (under a 1000) but they treat it like it's a Million dollars! I call to hear the same script every time "your application is being processed". That's if I get that far without being disconnected or being asked a whole lot of security questions that the last rep never asked.. seems like they are looking for reasons to dodge me. On their automated machine they wish you their "sincere condolences". No they don't! If you love your loved ones you should look elsewhere for life insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

After using Metlife to assist with bills while going through Breast Cancer treatment. They archived my records online the day after my case ended so I was unable to access it. They reused to email, my full benefit info and said they needed my address and it might take a week or so. They refused to let me speak to a manager and said they would call back in 24 hours. So keep all paperwork in order and don't expect them to be helpful. I am glad my employer pays for this because I would have switched and taken my money elsewhere. So no.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Our mother passed away on July 27, 2019. Our funeral director failed to process their form for MetLife for 2 weeks, then they submitted their paperwork, and were cut a check on Aug 20. We waited for our check only to be told we would have to fill out a form and send it to MetLife on our own. That all being said, all three siblings forms were submitted by Sept 11. It's Oct 1, and we are still being told we have to wait 45-60 days to expect a check. AND, they are still taking payments from my mother's checking account.

Being on the phone with their outsourced customer service is the worse. They can't answer a question without putting you on hold for 10s of minutes at a time. When asked why the Funeral Parlor was paid in such a short time, their reply was "they had all their paperwork in order". This is embarrassing for an American Company, for us to be left to deal with inept customer service people, and not given any answers. Because of this treatment, I would not advise anyone purchase anything from MetLife if this is how they treat people when they are called upon to do what they've been paid for years to do. Pay out on a Life Insurance Policy.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I am the executor for my mothers estate. Our MetLife claim situation is not complicated. While MetLife has good financial ratings, their claims customer service is below average. There is no communication from the claims department. We mailed all the necessary claim documents to MetLife, but there was no response such as "we have received your documents" or "we are processing your documents and will contact you once we have finished our review". I called the toll free claims telephone number to check on my claims status, and was on hold waiting for a MetLife associate for over one (1) hour. It has been almost two (2) months since our claims was submitted. Still not a single word from MetLife other than I did get through to an associate over the telephone and was told they indeed have all the documents required. Considering the financial size of MetLife, I would think the claim process would be superior, but its not.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

What a horrible experience. MetLife states all over the internet that claims are processed within 7 to 10 days so can someone explain to me why forms that MetLife confirmed receiving still have not been processed as on 9/19/19 and why after calling a second time to check the status, I'm being told it could be another 90 days!!!! Dealing with the loss of a loved one and all the related expenses is hard enough, but if you are under the impression that MetLife will promptly pay you as the designated beneficiary, to help offset any of those expenses despite have provided all the required information, you will be sorely disappointed.

I cannot even begin to understand how they can get away with such horribly, deceptive business practices. I will indeed report them to every available regulatory office that I can and take advantage of every opportunity to tell people the truth about this horrible company. Shame on you MetLife. Why don't you reallocate some of your advertising budget to fully staff your companies so you can live up to all your bogus claims of quick payouts!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

My mother passed away and we filed a claim under her life insurance policy. Valerie with Metlife, confirmed that they received all needed documentation on 8/15/19 and advised me that it would take 7-10 business days to process the claim. I contacted Metlife today (3 weeks later) and spoke with Eileen, who advised that the processing time is 30-60 days. I reviewed my conversation with Valerie with her and Eileen advised that she would send a message to the processing team asking that they expedite the payment. I then asked for a call back within 24 hours, with a status update, to which she replied "they are probably not going to call you back".

I asked if their company did not return calls to their customers and Eileen stated she would ask that they call me back but they probably would not! I am a claims adjuster for an insurance company and have been for 20 years. This kind of customer service is ridiculous, especially when families are already grieving the loss of their loved ones. I would not recommend Metlife to anyone!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Filed a claim on two life policies 65 days ago and am still waiting. After 4 phone calls and talking to numerous "supervisors" have gotten nowhere. I'm sending a letter to the President and CEO explaining every detail and I am also filing a complaint with the insurance commission of my state. I will never purchase anything from this company nor will I ever recommend it to anyone else!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

My brother passed away, I have been trying for months to collect his MetLife policy, I think they have a call center somewhere outside of the US. They have no idea what they are doing! They keep telling me the system is being updated, they gave me the wrong forms, and never contacted me to tell me. Over two months later, I called and they told me they need another form. I sent the other form, now they tell me another 45-60 days. I think this is some kind of scam!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I set up a savings plan with Metlife (Dubai) and had paid my monthly payments for some years. For financial reasons, I had to close the plan and claim the surrender. The process started well - I was sent forms to fill in which I then had to courier to Metlife (Dubai). This is when things started to go wrong. After hearing nothing from them for a couple of weeks I started to make inquiries. To cut a long story short, I was consistently told that the surrender was being 'processed' and that they would get back to me within 2-5 working days (varied depending on agent I had either called or emailed). They consistently broke this promise and never called me back either despite promising to do so the same or next day.

Every response was a simply copy-paste from their 'customer care' log of phrases. I spent a small fortune having to call them and spent considerable time on both calls and emails. After 6 whole weeks they have finally said that the money is being transferred. Yet to receive a dime at this point in time - we will see. In short, if you value customer care in any way shape or form, then stay away from Metflife (Dubai). They simply could not care less and will try and delay any communications with meaningless responses and broken promises. Never again.

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information