MetLife Life

MetLife Life

4.0/5 (213 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

MetLife Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Life?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: June 13, 2022

I have a policy provided by my employer through MetLife as well as other things I purchased and are taken out of my check and I am not able to get on the online portal, have had no information sent to me, they refuse to help me when I call, and I have no way of getting any information to my beneficiary should something happen to me. Starting to feel like they don't want to give people their own policy information so they can screw beneficiaries or allow you to file a claim. SCAM!

Original review: May 11, 2022

In 2017 I was offered to invest my money in this safe policy called Wealth Builder. Last year I realised I lost 15k out of 55 K but I was told that was temporary so I waited another year and lost in total 30 thousand dollars out of 75 thousand dollars that I put in. The company made extremely difficult for me to surrender. I strongly suggest no one to invest their money in this kind of policy. Just an advice!

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Metropolitan Life and Computershare, (which are the same company, but don’t communicate with each other), have made a very emotional and painful situation, so very, very much worse. I have sent documentation after documentation to both divisions several times, and am still being asked for more. When finally able to speak to a live person, I am given conflicting information. No one has ever called me, or emailed me, and I just keep getting letters from them asking for more documents. I will NEVER employ this insurance company. I don’t want my children to go through the nightmare that has been inflicted on me by MetLife.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Who tries to sell you a life insurance policy. Do your research. Unfortunately, the internet wasn't available when we bought a life insurance policy. Remember they want to make a sale they aren't looking out for you. I told our agent we couldn't afford another life insurance policy. He came up with a plan using childhood policy of mine to buy a policy for my husband. I had an additional policy so I thought it was a good idea. I was told the cash value would buy a policy for my husband which will eventually end.

I wouldn't have to pay the premium for my husband's policy. He also said at that time my original policy would start to increase. It was a loan and the dividends was paying for the new policy. What he didn't tell you is your policy may not cover the cost and the policy could end. When the policy ends you then have to pay taxes on that loan... Today in this world you have to be an expert in everything. Can't trust anybody. You think an agent is advising but he is there just for himself and a sale. No one I knew back then knew insurance to ask. I believed what he said. He told me my sister signed up for the same, only to find out although he used the same words as he used for me he actually set hers up in a much better way. Met Life was my parents, aunts and uncles, grandparent's life insurance co. I had the same agent as my parents. When my children became adults I told them Met Life is not the co. to use when buying life insurance.

Original review: April 3, 2022

I would never openly choose MetLife. I used MetLife for maternity leave. I was owed the money from January-March. It’s April and I have yet to receive payment and have spent well over 20 hours on the phone with minimal call backs. I was given opposing information regarding my claim countless times. Customer service reps are nice, but for the most part extremely useless is solving any issues. The company has been a nightmare to deal with.

Original review: March 18, 2022

Do not trust these crooks. My wife took her own life and they denied my payout because it was within their 2 year suicide clause. Nowhere was it stated in my policy that a dependent was part of the clause, only the policy holder. Not until my it was time for a claim did the word "dependent" appear. My wife didn't even know I had this policy on her and they act like I knew she was going to go out and kill herself so I insured her. This is money I could really have used to help pay bills and find a new place to live in this hardship we are all going through. Never again will I shop with Metlife even if it's offered to me for free.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

My dad purchased their whole life insurance 20 years ago. His english is limited and the sales rep coaxed him into buying their insurance policy saying that he wouldn't have to pay the premium after 20 years. Here I am 20 years later and I called numerous time requesting in force ledge with the intention of switch. It tooks 3 months and 5 phone calls to eventually have it emailed to me, even though they legally have to provide the document. The reason? They want it make it very difficult to leave, so they force you to stay not by being a great company but by getting in your way to leave.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

My mother was gifted a Metlife whole life policy for her 16th birthday in 1943 for the sum of $1000. She recently passed this year. The total value of the policy today is $1526.25, a total appreciation of 52.6% after 78 years! If the policy even kept up with inflation, it would be worth $15,856.07 today! Basically, this amounts to spitting on my mother's grave. These people are crooks, don't deal with them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

My mom passed away in 2006 but this company MetLife thought that they were smart. When Social Security said that I had $17,000 in their possession they had told me I can wait 10 days and I'm going to send me a letter in the mail telling me how much I have to pay in order to get my insurance. As soon as I waited the 10 days I called them for receive anything and they told me I wasn't eligible anymore. The page that I had found from disappeared. Luckily I copied it before that, they change the date of her death and I never got paid into this day. I'm still fighting it. I would stay away from this company is very terrible. I have to relive my mother's death every single day and I have no idea who to talk to so beware.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Horrible company, first you are connected to a robot, keeps asking for the same information. After waiting 15 minutes while artificial typing in the background, you are connected to an agent, who does everything in her power to prevent you from cashing out of the policy. Finally you are told that you have wait two weeks to hear from them whether they will allow you to cash out of the policy.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

MetLife author review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Advisor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information