MetLife Life

Compare Life Insurance

Research top Life Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Unethical behavior. Put in a claim on a life insurance policy that my mother paid on for years through her employer. They ignored my claim & when I called rep. said I may have put down another insurance claim amount on the estate filing with the NC courts since it did not show MetLife name & policy # -? Insinuating that my attorney filed the estate claim fraudulently! Then Denise ** told my attorney I was not listed as executor, which I was. 2 weeks later, no call back from MetLife but I received full check payment! They just delayed payment and caused me to have to pay all funeral expenses out of pocket due to their payment delay which was about 2 months and caused mental and financial hardship on my family at a time of grief. I would never do business with this company!

As an employee of CitiGroup, (which they are crooked also when it comes to benefits), I have a disability policy and a group Universal GUL Life Policy. CitiGroup purchased my employer in 2000. At that time, my disability policy and my Life Insurance Policy was issued by MetLife at that time. I was "grandfathered" in, in all of my employee benefits. MetLife was solely responsible for the management of these two benefits. They dropped my disability, and after a four year court battle, they were found to be arbitrary and unlawfully terminated my disability benefits. They had to pay all of my attorney fees, expenses, and backpay. They, Citigroup, and MetLife were ordered by the court to reinstate ALL of my ancillary benefits. Neither company did, other than group health insurance.

MetLife illegally rewrote my life policy several times without my permission, and against the order of the court. My cash equity has now been completely taken away from me. METLIFE CHEATS IN EVERY WAY!!! Never ever do business with this company, they are completely unscrupulous, they hide behind ERISA, and they do not care one iota about the policy holder. If you do not believe me, simply do a google search of all the people they have cheated, the lawsuits all over the country, (even their own employees who were wrongly terminated for refusal to rewrite these policies to divest customers of their cash equity).

My husband passed in Jan 2017. MetLife has made me stressed and mentally emotional. They made a mistake in getting a broker for my terminally ill husband who MetLife was working with strategic financial group which assigned a broker to handle this conversion. He was assigned on Nov 25th and states he or his 3 brokers never received the email. MetLife was supposed to contact the Memphis office with screenshots from the conversations with Mr. ** out of Chattanooga. I call and relive my husband's death every day to say it's still in review. They are in the wrong and I also think it's time to write to the insurance Dept of complaints in Nashville and start a class action lawsuits also.

I received a letter from MetLife where they doubled my premium. I called Customer Service and while talking to them asked who was my Beneficiary on record. They had no idea, they told me that in a transfer of records the name of my Beneficiary was lost. They had no idea who had ever been my Beneficiary, or how long they had not known. They did however know to double my premium so that they would receive their payment on time.

The absolute worse company ever. Customer service was awful. I canceled my policy and had to pay a cancellation fee on top of my state fee. They never tell you these things unless you're leaving. I had automatic payments and once I took them off, my premium went up, which is CRAZY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

I purchased a whole life policy for both my husband and myself about 8 years ago. I have continued to pay on these policies every month through an automatic deduction set up at the time of purchase. I just happened to notice on a form that was sent that the terms of the policy were changed so that at the age of 90 my policy would no longer have a payout! If I didn't inadvertently become aware of the change in my policy my policies would be worthless if we lived past 90.

I contacted my agent and he contacted Metlife first regarding my policy. Metlife claimed I was late on payments so they changed the terms of the policy. My agent informed them I had an automatic deduction - they tried to do it with my husband's policy as well. They are impossible to reach and their customer service is nonexistent. They lack integrity in their operations. I truly regret doing business with them and fear my family will some day have trouble collecting on our policies. I do not recommend using this company.

This company insured my daughter's car. She had an accident from poor repairs on putting on tires which Discount Tire- over tighter lug nuts. MetLife had my daughter take the car to their DRP shop who failed to repair the car properly. They failed to put in a lower control arm and bail joint ordered in writing to pick up the car 1800 miles away while ordered by her Doctor to stay on bed rest or they would pull the rental. She picked up the car against my wishes. Car was all over the road, lost control twice on this trip and ended up on my orders to stop and take to shop. Found ball joint and lower control arm never replaced but claimed alignment was good, not possible. Was claims manager car was unsafe.

MetLife takes no ownership of this as expected. It is their DRP shop- makes them look bad. Car now is total loss per them. Review any company for insurance they all claim to give the best prices- but the service is what matters- cheap insurance is as bad as none. This company by far is worst insurance company out there. Do your homework before you buy!

As a widow I had no idea the lengths MetLife would go to. They find new reasons to stall paying beneficiary. They make me relive weekly how my husband died. He passed Toxicology reports. Doctors reports. And yet they want me to fill out a blank authorization so they can look into his entire medical history since birth! Questions like does he have aids? Autoimmune diseases. Alcohol abuse, psychiatric problems, drug abuse. HOW DARE THEY defamate my husband's character. He died in a tragic car accident. None of those questions have any relevance to my husband's death. None of their business!!!

He was a good husband and God fearing man. And METLIFE wants to take away his dignity, his privacy and his last gesture was to care for his wife if he ever died. METLIFE IS GREEDY and doesn't care how much they hurt me. If they can keep money from a widow they feel as if they won. They have been sued in the past. Maybe it's time for a class action lawsuit!

I had MetLife for more than thirty years. I like their policy, the paid up and the ability to use the yearly dividends to purchase more insurance. My experience with the company has been nothing but positive. Glad I insured with them.

Agent sold me life insurance. After 15-20 years when I needed to do a withdrawal they gave me worst time of my life. I spoke with 15-20 different agents and 2-3 supervisors, NONE knows how to do the job. Mistakes after mistakes. Now it's been 3 weeks and I am still get runaround. WORST customer service and you cannot talk to anyone higher. They will tell you "NO, I am the highest you can go over the phone."

I have Annuities with MetLife but trying to receive my payments on time is a problem. I should be receiving them around the 14th each month. For some reason - their system shows that I'm deceased. I call and sent confirmation on everything I've been asked to do. The payment would start for a short time then the payment will stop again. I have called and talking many times to the company and guaranteed their system would be corrected. This month again it has not credited to my account. This problem has been going on for at least 2 years. I'm living on Social Security and I need the money to pay my bills. Please help me. Thank you for your time.

My employer has a group insurance plan with MetLife, so I gave them a call to see if I could get my auto insurance reduced. After a lengthy conversation with the sales representative, asking him as many questions I could think of, we came to the conclusion I could save about $50 a month by switching from my current auto insurance provider. Having received the quote from them, I went forward and canceled my plan with my current provider. After I already canceled, a day later I received a call from my sales rep who claimed that someone made a mistake, and even with my group discount, my insurance would be close to 25% more expensive than the program I had. Thankfully, I was able to cancel and my previous provider was able to reinstate the same day.

However, that didn't keep MetLife from taking a piece of my paycheck two weeks later (after receiving confirmation that I canceled my policy within 24 hours of it being opened). Then when I called my sales rep, he wouldn't return any of my calls. Absolutely terrible service. I had to call someone else and it took them two weeks to send me money that they shouldn't have taken in the first place. Now, after all of this, I received a letter from the Department of Revenue indicating that they received notification that I canceled my insurance and was uninsured and that my license will be suspended in the coming weeks. I am certain that I am insured. I'm lead to believe by MetLife's terrible communication practices that they reported this -- although I can't really say for certain. However, I can say that I will never recommend MetLife to anyone.

The salesman lied to get my money. We were told that after a number of years the policy would be paid in full and worth its face value. Later we were told that was not true and we must have misunderstood. I have since cancelled the policy and put the money into a 401k instead.

I have been very satisfied with MetLife rep on my account. The rep is very helpful, keeps me informed, and always willing to go over anything with me until I am completely satisfied.

MetLife is a very large company so sometimes I feel like a number, but they do a great job in coming through. However, they could respond to routine health claims faster.

My wife and I got MetLife "Flexible Premium Universal Life" policies in 1986. The agent suggested these were great policies because the policy could increase in value over time. The sales pitch was extremely deceptive. After paying premiums for many years (approximately 29 years overall), at age 70, the premiums started to increase "because of age". I was told that it costs more to administrate a policy after age 70. Why? We received a letter that the plan was deficient and money was required to keep it in effect. It was determined that we had a cash value of less than $300. So, we paid the difference and increased the monthly premium to over a $100 more per month.

Now, we are deficient again and the monthly premium is to go up another $80/mo. The premiums are now more than my mortgage payment was. A MetLife customer service representative stated that premiums will continue to increase until age 95. The cash value will continue to be near zero, but the death benefit would be $70,000. If we pay less than the adjusted premium, the policy would be terminated as we have already received notices even though make the required monthly payments via auto payment.

It gets better. After a very extended conversation, the customer service rep stated there was another option. This did not come up years ago when we had a similar conversation. I could keep the policy in effect because "MetLife offers a reduced paid-up option less loans and withdrawals." I have no loans or withdrawals. I would have to file a form to accept a much reduced amount at death (less that if I had put this into a simple savings, no interest account). So, we chose to take this option as opposed to being bled dry financially. Not so fast. We received another letter explaining the opt out provisions. To date, the plan does not qualify. Here is an excerpt quoted from the letter:

"We reviewed your policy and determined that as of December 5, 2016, the policy is not eligible for the option as there is a $929.46 shortage in the cumulative planned premium. In order to be eligible for this option, you must send the $929.46 shortage by January 8, 2017 to the address below: MetLife. PO Box 371351. Pittsburgh PA 15250 7351. To maintain eligibility, you must pay the monthly planned premium of $929.46 beginning no later than February 8, 2017. You must continue to pay by the 8th of each month until you receive the notice that your policy will lapse.

"The Notification of Pending Lapse will confirm the policy eligibility. If these requirements are met, and no loans or partial cash withdrawals are taken, the policy will lapse and be placed on this option in approximately 7 months. The Endorsement will be mailed to you to keep with your policy. The death benefit is equal to the net cumulative premiums paid at the time the policy lapses. The policy will no longer have a cash value, cannot be surrendered, and will only be payable upon the insured's death. As of December 5, 2016, the total net premiums paid into the policy equal $26,098.92."

The cash value of this policy as of this date is $178. 73. I ask the MetLife rep to explain the terms in the letter. My question was, am I to pay $929.46 by Jan, 2017 and then another $929.46 per month for another "approximately" 7 months to have $26,098.92 paid to my estate on my death? The answer was affirmative. That's over another $7,500. I have paid premiums taken directly from our checking account for years. When advised I was deficient, we paid the balance and increased the premium. In the past several years, we have paid over $2,100 annually. This has turned into a money pit with no bottom.

On each of the calls to MetLife customer service, the reps have stated the agents misrepresented the policy and this policy is not longer sold. But it was a plan devised by MetLife and MetLife continues to bleed the customers knowing it was a bad product. Yet MetLife, for those in this plan, continues to reap the profits off the backs of the elderly. It is not until life insurance can no longer be gotten that they drop the hammer. The MetLife customer service reps did offer a bit of advice. I could contact a MetLife agent and see if I could get a lesser valued policy. And my response was that I should trust MetLife or one of their agents? When we opted for MetLife life insurance, we felt that this was an honorable company. It appears now that the company is trying to get customers with this policy to default because they can no longer afford it on a fixed retired income. Great for the bottom line, bad for the people that believed in them.

I received MetLife Long Term Disability as part of a benefit from my prior employer. We had a 5 year contract with MetLife (who my former employer on longer uses) and if we became disabled MetLife will pay a full 5 years of part of your income. They just suddenly decided in September that my time period ran out. I contacted them and they said "You only had a 43 month contract." I've never heard of any payments being for 43 months. I now have my employer help me continue to receive my last year of benefits.

A few days ago, when I spoke to my employer again she said MetLife told her my 45 month contract was up in September. They can't even keep their lies straight!!! I am so thankful I have my employer backing me up because MetLife will not honor what they were paid to do. If you pay for MetLife out of your pocket FIND ANOTHER COMPANY!!! If you just do a Google search you will find so many people ripped off by MetLife & if you have to get your own attorney that will take even more money out of your pocket. I am very lucky to have had this as a benefit of my employment!

Timeline - Nov 14, 2016 6:39 pm. MetLife blatantly discriminates against people with non-life threatening chronic illness when considering them for even the smallest life insurance policy. Applied for a 15k life policy for myself in addition to my husband's larger policy he receives through his work. Just received a letter saying they turned me down based on my history of Multiple Sclerosis.

News flash MetLife, if you look into it, MS does not shorten your life. Statistically people with MS live just as long as anyone else does. Also, I had your damn life insurance last year, with the same MS. The only difference is that this year, you added a box on your renewal form asking if I had it, and I was truthful. In short, screw you people. I am looking forward to the eventual downfall of insurance giants like you. Keep up the immoral BS and it will occur sooner rather than later.

I have been with same company for 16 years. Was never sick until I was sick which has been about the last 2-3 years. I have missed a lot of work and they seem to find reasons such as never received Dr.'s paperwork, or didn't meet the exact working they required. They fight until people want to give up or are forced to go back to work. I unfortunately can't go back to work. They now owe me about $15,000. I am the breadwinner and now am about to lose my home. There has got to be someone out there who cares. We need to unite and fight as a class not as individuals with no power. Lots of changes have been made with the power of many and their stories. Contact me if you would like to talk about possible other options.

After my husband had worked for a company for 39 years with the same life insurance plan, he had to retire with a disability of True vocal Cord cancer. Metlife reevaluated his benefits and decided to jack up his rates and offered us 25k for 178.00. NEVER do business with this company, cold hearted.

I canceled my life insurance with MetLife because I found a better policy with another company. They took a payment after cancellation. 2 days later they put it back but it was too late. That caused an insufficient fund, overdraft fee on my bank account which caused another insufficient fund. And so forth. They should be paying me back for the overdraft fee $35.00.

My Husband purchased this policy almost two years ago. It was paid every month. Now MetLife claims it hasn't been paid in five months. No letter and 500.00 to reinstate. They are shysters. Now he has to shop around for a new Co. How have they stayed in Business!! They claim they sent letters. Not true. Did they call, NO. He had trouble with them almost Six months into the policy. First they would say there was no money in the account then it was something Else! The funny part is that so far I haven't had any problems yet!!!

Attention please! This company's goal is get the premiums and never pay you when you need it. I paid for long term disability for 14 consecutive years. When a life threatening accident happened and I lost my job due to inability to work 10 hours a day - they denied my claim. In the past I encountered problems with dental insurance, these were minor compare to disability insurance. MetLife does everything possible to deny your benefits. Literally anything goes...I agree with the majority of the latest reports - everybody gives the lowest rating. I give the rating below one star. Stay away from METLIFE! Apparently, MetLife is famous for not paying. If your employer offers any other insurance company - go for it.

I have invested 15 years of my hard earned cash into MetLife insurance policy. When I signed up I was told by the agent it was a whole life, not reading the fine prints, it turned out to be a flexible premium multi funded life. Everything was fine until I retired, and once I started going down in age they ripped me off by changing my premiums without my consent and raised it so high that it is impossible to hold on to after investing all my money into their policy. They would not accept payments until the dates passed so they have a hold on you. It's a scam to thief hard working poor individuals. SHAME ON YOU METLIFE. YOU ARE STEALING FROM THE POOR.

My father was a NRI, he deposited his hard earned money of about 9,00,000 INR in my mother's name (pension scheme) with false promises made by this people. They told us that after paying this 9,00,0000, first month onwards we will get 5,000 RS for 15 years and after that we will get the deposited 9,00,000 INR plus bonus... My father avoided them several times as we were not at all interested in this private insurance agencies. But somehow he was forced to join by believing them. After paying the money in several years, the first month onwards every 28th we were getting that 5,000 RS but after 3 months my mother was died because of cancer.

And that point only we came to know that, since my mother was no more there is no benefits, we will be getting that only 5,000 RS for 15 years that all... There is no sum assured, bonus or nothing... And after making so much shouting and all they passed 2.75 lakhs as some hell... and nothing more or anything. They don't keep their word. My mother had insurance with SBI and LIC... no such issues or anything with them. So pls take my word. This is the most fraud agency I ever SEEN. THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE MONEY OUT OF US. DON'T EVER EVER GO WITH THEM. SOMEHOW THEY WILL CHEAT YOU....

I would like to warn all seniors from using this despicable thieving company. This company MetLife quotes you one price then charges you another. Don't give them your bank account information. They will bill you when you don't authorize them to. When you call to complain they delay and delay and delay and never call you back. They will steal your money like they did me. They are despicable - look elsewhere for your life insurance and all insurance needs. If you have any policy with this thieving awful company cancel it.

I have had a terrible experience with MetLife. As stated in previous posts representatives for this company continually lie to you. I have disability insurance with MetLife through my employer. I would never recommend this company to anyone. My agent Victoria (Vicky) ** is an incompetent liar. I was supposed to get paid weekly. I call her ask what's ongoing. Then she magically sees the medical reports in the system. Every time I call her it's something different. This last time I was supposed to get paid before the July 4th holiday. I haven't received a check in 2 weeks.

I called to speak with a supervisor. Suzanne which was no help at all. She explains to me once an action has been put into the system. She cannot override it. What was the purpose of her returned call if she was not going to assist me was useless. I explained various issues I've had. She didn't acknowledge not one concern. Overall, this company will not acknowledge any wrongdoing. It's sad when you're on the receiving end of such harsh treatment in your time of need.

I was in an accident with a MetLife auto insurance carrier on 5/27/16. I obtained an estimate, as advised to do by MetLife claims adjuster, Wanda **. After a week without receiving payment I contacted this agent and she had the wrong address because no one thought to verify the correct spelling of the address. She canceled the check and stated that a new one was issued and sent out. When a week went by without payment and I paid out of pocket for repairs, I contacted Wanda and she gave me a date that the check was sent out. After 2 weeks and still no check, I just called today and spoke with another agent who advised that "someone" dropped the ball and a check was never sent out. I am very annoyed with how incompetent these people are and how nonchalant this Wanda ** is because of course it was not her car that was in an accident.

My mother had a life insurance policy with this company. Upon learning that she was terminal she contacted MetLife to make sure that her policy was altogether with no missing premiums and she was assured that all was well. She also explained that she had ask me her only child to be her caretaker and that the policy would ensure that all her services would be paid for and I wouldn't be homeless. Again the agent told her that everything was good with het policy. The day she died I called in for the funeral home to make sure they could take her body and they too had been lied to. My mother had no service with policy, no paying out the funeral home, cremated her gave me the bill and her home and car was all lost and I her only child who left my home in another state to take care of my mom and also I left a marriage and small business have nowhere to live and never have I been able to pay the funeral home or paid her just respects.

My husband and I paid for a $250k life policy. When he passed away in 2004, I contacted MetLife to tell them. I was advised that there was no policy. I sent them all the proof, they confirmed receipt but then months went by and heard nothing. I called again and they now tell me no paperwork was received. We paid for this policy for over 40 years. I will never stop fighting for what's right. I've tried everything, haven't gotten one person to admit that obviously someone made a mistake somewhere. I've been fighting for 12 years from 2004 and have no closure regarding this matter.

Expert Review

Neal FrankleLife Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.    More about Neal→

MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one the largest insurance sales companies in the world. MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries and started their business in 1868. MetLife, Inc. is headquartered in New York City.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.
  • Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.
  • Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.
  • Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.
  • Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Compare Life Insurance Companies