2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

MetLife Life

MetLife Life
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.03/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Life?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I have had this policy since my daughter was born. Any questions they will answer. I am saving money and if I need to borrow I can. They have an easy dashboard to use and easy to access. I can see who I am invested in.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

It is a long but one time application to fill out and uncomfortably took blood and medical test for my 10 years flat rate of $1 Million life coverage insurance at the age of 53 (till 63). Able to renew every year for ten years at same rate.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

My life insurance policy has been in place for over 30 years. I've received good service from Metlife throughout that time. I was given the choice between a whole life policy, term life policy and universal life policy.

Original review: May 23, 2020

My mother and I became estranged her last five years here on earth due to her mental illness. My brother and his wife immediately took over and blew through her money. Even making sure he was executor and Power of attorney. I knew she had a life insurance policy. My brother's actions were fishy even after my mother's passing and he put her cremation on his credit card. I called MetLife to inquire. Yes the call center is in another country. However, I had in general questions because I figured both my brother and I were beneficiaries and him being executor I didn't trust I'd see mine.

I broke down mildly and explained my fear to I call him Indonesian Steven. Steven asked me my name and asked if I'd like to make a claim but he couldn't tell me if I was a beneficiary that claims would call me. I was hesitant because I didn't want to disrespect my brother's position. That is when Indonesian Steven said "Let me explain something to you. An executor or power of attorney can surrender (cash out) the policy regardless of the beneficiary. Would you like to file a claim?" Doing a light bulb and yes I did.

Within 2 weeks I had claim forms. I was the only beneficiary. Ha! Yes I got a scathing text from my brother. Less than a month I got my check. This company went to bat for me! Even when my brother screwed up the death cert. Then mailed me a letter saying if I could prove her correct birth year only a year difference I would be entitled to another two hundred dollars. Of course, I wasnt going through the hassle. I am soo very thankful for the claims department and " Indonesian Steven" helping, going to bat for me and getting me money and quickly as they did. I would consider getting a policy but they only offer it through business place of employment. Your heirs will not be let down I promise!!

Original review: March 31, 2021

MetLife Insurance Helpful Suggestions. I recently had a terrible experience with Metlife (ML) while trying to surrender 3 life ins policies and collect the associated cash values. The issue was finally resolved after 6 Months of extreme frustration. I would like to offer suggestions from my experience that may prove helpful to those having difficulty with ML. Per my case (individual life ins purchased 30 yrs ago by Mother for 3 grandchildren).... ML no longer sells independent life ins policies and will not meet face to face to discuss such policies with anyone, anywhere, at any time. Despite what customer service reps say, ML will only respond via mail and claim delivery may take 15 days. ML will not confirm delivery of or reply to faxes or emails. ML will not return phone calls.

ML rep may or may not offer to mail you the necessary forms which could take a month – BUT you can access the forms immediately at ML self-service here, https://www.metlife.com/support-and-manage/current-customers/individual-life-insurance/self-service/. Call the help # on the form to ensure entries are suitable as forms are not user friendly and will be rejected if not entered a certain way which you won’t know until a letter arrives in mail a month or so later.

Example – How to surrender a life ins policy and collect cash value...For life ins – owner is the purchaser, insured may be someone else (ex. Grandchildren), beneficiaries are specified in policy. When owner dies, ownership automatically transfers to their estate. ML requires court documents from will probate process to identify executor of estate. The executor can then transfer ownership of the policies from the estate to themself by submitting the Absolute Assignment form (see self-service link above). The new policy owner can then surrender the policy and receive cash value by submitting the Full Policy Surrender Request form (see self-service link above).

For best results I strongly recommend accessing the forms from self-service link then fax AND email all necessary forms at the same time (to avoid the month-to-month mailing runaround). Then call customer service to verify receipt. Forms will likely involve dozens of pages with some requiring witness signatures, etc... If dissatisfied with ML service, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and/or your State Corporation Commission. I believe both will intervene with ML on your behalf. Again, these comments are based on my personal experience. If you received better service, great. If you had difficulty like me I hope you find these suggestions helpful. Good Luck !

Original review: March 8, 2021

My father died January 2 2021. He has a small group life insurance through Ford motor company. It’s 60 days and zero contact from MetLife, unless we call. They said it’s under a internal review. They can’t tell us why or give any timeline. 2 weeks ago they told us they were still looking for paperwork from Ford after we told them we spoke with them. It changed to internal review and they didn’t need anything from us, but can’t tell us what’s going on.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

It has been a whole year and Metlife has done everything in their power to make it difficult and eventually impossible to get reimbursed for mental health care my child has received. Unhelpful and DEAF unless I am reviewing them on sites that might affect their bottom line. I am repulsed by the money grubbing revolting priorities this company has. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. If they can deny you coverage. They will. Even after promising IN writing to cover costs. Horrible horrible service and they only answer or communicate with you in an effort to protect their image...not to actually provide the service for which you have paid.DO NOT GIVE THESE CROOKS MONEY. 0 stars is more like it.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I have been out of work since September and I have only received one check. MetLife has stalled over and over again. It is now the middle of December and I'm still fighting them. I'm hurt and cannot work and now I have to fight metlife every step of the way. This is not something I should have to worry about. I should only worry about recovery. That is why I have disability insurance to help me if I get sick or hurt and can not work.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

I been trying for 6 weeks to process a policy surrender request. It's been sent back because they wouldn't accept an electronic signature, then wouldn't accept a signature that was not in cursive. None of these requirements were specified on the document.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

Metlife has not paid my pension after paying premium for 9 year. They just refused to pay saying due to current situation. For what purpose customer save? Do not promise the amount and Pension if you cannot keep your words. We are also in same current situation.

MetLife author review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information