2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

MetLife Life

MetLife Life
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.45/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

MetLife Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Life?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have MetLife group accident coverage through my work. I have had to make 2 claims. On both occasions I was told initially that all my medical costs were covered and that the ankle fracture I suffered the first claim would pay a minimum of 1000$. I received a total payout of 335$ for all my medical expenses. They wouldn’t even reimburse my crutches or physical therapy visits like they said they would.

The second time I was assaulted and suffered two fractures in my face. MetLife wouldn’t proceed with the claim unless I gave them the police report which it does not state anywhere in their policy that this is a requirement. It’s accident insurance. It should be covered no matter what. They change their rules to fit their needs and try to find every loophole they can to get out of paying typical insurance company. I had Aflac before and they are 1000% better. A stand up company that honors their agreements. Stay away from MetLife. It isn’t even worth the 3.50$ every two weeks from your paycheck.

Original review: May 23, 2020

My mother and I became estranged her last five years here on earth due to her mental illness. My brother and his wife immediately took over and blew through her money. Even making sure he was executor and Power of attorney. I knew she had a life insurance policy. My brother's actions were fishy even after my mother's passing and he put her cremation on his credit card. I called MetLife to inquire. Yes the call center is in another country. However, I had in general questions because I figured both my brother and I were beneficiaries and him being executor I didn't trust I'd see mine.

I broke down mildly and explained my fear to I call him Indonesian Steven. Steven asked me my name and asked if I'd like to make a claim but he couldn't tell me if I was a beneficiary that claims would call me. I was hesitant because I didn't want to disrespect my brother's position. That is when Indonesian Steven said "Let me explain something to you. An executor or power of attorney can surrender (cash out) the policy regardless of the beneficiary. Would you like to file a claim?" Doing a light bulb and yes I did.

Within 2 weeks I had claim forms. I was the only beneficiary. Ha! Yes I got a scathing text from my brother. Less than a month I got my check. This company went to bat for me! Even when my brother screwed up the death cert. Then mailed me a letter saying if I could prove her correct birth year only a year difference I would be entitled to another two hundred dollars. Of course, I wasnt going through the hassle. I am soo very thankful for the claims department and " Indonesian Steven" helping, going to bat for me and getting me money and quickly as they did. I would consider getting a policy but they only offer it through business place of employment. Your heirs will not be let down I promise!!

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2020

I have had a Metlife whole life policy for about 20 years. Would like to discuss options for 1035 exchange or conversion in part to term with surrender. Have made multiple phone calls. Eventually I get someone outside the USA whole struggles with the English language and is unable to answer even the most basic questions. Moreover, the inforce illustrations provided at the beginning were farcically bad. That I am STILL paying premiums to keep this policy going is a bad joke. Horrible product. Horrible service.

Original review: April 28, 2020

This company insures Kroger employees for their disability. They have been horrible to my friend Hazel and refused to cover her cancer surgery and treatment at the local cancer hospital, which is a Metlife participating facility. This woman is 78 years old and has very little income and now will probably lose her job at Kroger. Shame on you Metlife!

Original review: April 2, 2020

My father passed away in November 2019. I've been fighting with MetLife since then to pay the life insurance claim. They state that my father made his trust the beneficiary. Problem is, the trust was supposedly made in 1997 and left in the hands of a bank that is no longer in business. Neither myself, my brothers nor my parent's attorney have any memory of this trust. MetLife is refusing to release the funds until they "have done their due diligence" in making sure that this trust is no longer valid. As the trustee, I've sent them an affidavit stating that it is no longer valid, but that didn't matter. We've sent them affidavits stating that we children are the only survivors, but that didn't matter. I call them, every week, and every week it's the same story; "we're trying to get a hold of the bank, but they are not returning our call."

When I ask how long they're going to continue to try, I'm usually told that, if they don't hear this week, then they will "go with what is in front of us". When I call back, the next week, I hear, "Oh, no, we're still trying to a hold of the bank". So, I get back on the merry-go-round and ask, again, how long they're going to try. "Until we're sure we've done our due diligence". I'm told. Speak to you on Monday, I always say. I've had my attorney call them twice. We've offered them indemnity. All of the other accounts my father had paid out long ago. This is the most frustrating company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with and, when this is over, I do not plan to ever deal with them again.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Our mom died in August 2019, I have never submitted a bad review before but now it is time. She had two life insurance policies for my brother and I. MetLife's competitor pulled through immediately. Metlife, on the other hand, has terrible customer service. My brother and I were sent a check after LONG waits on the phone and a lot of paper work sent in. All of a sudden months later we get a statement that tells us we have $2200 more???? Can we get through the phone lines? NO! I work most hours they are open so have only a short time to do so. I honestly took the day off from work today and I've been on hold for 43min so far. You know 'they are experiencing high call volumes.. This happened EVERY time we had to call them..

Wait, whoa,, A customer service rep finally answered just now & shoot decided he cannot help me. He has to pass me over to another dept! More to come..it has now been 1hr 43min and still on hold 'Jessica' answered and understood my frustration, explained to me that this money is from a stock called Computer Shares that they are affiliated with and she connected me with them.. They claimed they could not hear me and hung up.. Not happy~

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

My mom received a letter from MetLife asking about a divorce decree. My dad passed away on 12/20/19 and he was insured with MetLife since 1992. My mom and dad has been together for 50 years and he listed her the beneficiary for his life insurance. My dad never married my mom and had three kids together. On the insurance paperwork, my mom is listed here as his spouse. However it is a problem, on the policy it just have her first name and DOB. They never included my mom last name. No one bother to ask for the last name but has my mom first name, address, and DOB. So now it’s a problem. Then, I was told because on the death certificate he has divorced now we need a divorce decree. I’m confused what one thing have to do with the other. All I know my dad ex wife was remarried with children and don’t even know where she’s located. So how can I get a divorce decree. They got married in the 60s.

We even offered the Will from my dad that is notarized which show my mom as the beneficiary. This insurance is a BIG SCAM. Why when I first file the claim how was the information given to my mom knowing you didn’t have her last name listed as the beneficiary. It seems like anyone can call and retrieve information. Then they told my mom to contact legal. At this point, I don’t know what to do. My mom and dad been together 50 years and wanted to make sure my mom was taking care now it is a slap in the face. A month since the claim filed now it is a problem. It wasn’t a problem when my dad was making payment on time all this years. SHAME ON THEM. I read the reviews about Metlife and did not want to believe it but my family‘s experience confirmed that today.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

My mother fell and to spend down for Medicaid I had to cash surrender her life insurance, approx $7000. (Her funds have to be lower than $2000). MetLife is the only company that won’t accept my guardianship papers. Every time I send documentation it takes 24-48 hours to “up-load”; via email or fax. Every time I have called it takes telling the entire story AGAIN.

I started the process Jan 2, 2020. Gave my contact info that if there was anything else they need please contact me immediately (phone or email). They sent a letter 2 weeks later saying they did not accept my guardianship papers. I had to set up a new court date and miss more time off work and spend more money to get papers specific that I am allowed to handle the MetLife contract. I get the addl court paperwork Jan 22 and set up a UPS account so they can overnight at my expense. (That’s fine just get it to me before the Medicaid application deadline!). They received paperwork 2 days later. (Jan 24 a Friday). Nothing done.

Mon Jan 27 today they are still processing. 3 calls and no answer saying funds are released. IF they overnight it today I get it Tues, meet with funeral director for an irrevocable funeral contract Wednesday the 28th. If not Mom will not qualify for Medicaid and the nursing home will be owed $11,000. Money she doesn’t have except MetLife has $7000 of it. If you ever have to deal with them in a death it could possibly be easier.

In my situation if you can’t get conservatorship duties specifically spelled out you’re out of luck. Now they tell me they don’t accept UPS so don’t waste your time. Okay just got off the phone. If you have trouble like I have ask to speak to “stateside” during 9-5 eastern standard time. Don’t waste your time in the Philippines. They are friendly but inept and powerless. She actually told me to call Tues January 28 and that us postal mail may be faster. She also said it may not be to me until Friday. The last day my mom is allowed to have any funds in her name. I have to cancel the appointment with the funeral guy - change to Friday. She wants me to call my state Medicaid see if they will accept a letter saying the cash surrender check is processed as of a certain date and that the check is in the mail - will they accept that letter. Will they accept that as proof? If so they will fax said letter. I’m not going to tell you what happens.

Suffice it to say the company is not one that you want to buy life insurance with. I don’t care how many people died and it was easy to get the money. Don’t listen to them. Met has no choice then. But when it comes to special issues like cash surrenders and guardianships etc like mine let my story of stress and woe guide you. Don’t use them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

“My mother died last April 2019. She left two modest policies for my sister and I. We sent in the claims and death certificates early May. By November they were telling me they needed death certificates. I sent more certificates. Now my sister and I are running out of death certificates - we’ve sent 4 total. Today I got another notice they’re missing the claim forms for the policies. The previous time I spoke to them they had the claim forms and needed death certificates. Now they want new claim forms filled out and mailed. Why are they giving us the runaround? I have no idea. These aren’t $1 million dollar double indemnity claims. They’re a couple thousand dollars. I advise everyone never to get a policy from MetLife, and if you have one, cash it out NOW!”

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Metlife will decline your file unless you are terminal even if you you have a specialist and comprehensive medical test completed. If you are denied on your initial application you would be foolish to not obtain an attorney, it cost you nothing to discuss with an attorney.

MetLife author review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information