2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

MetLife Life

MetLife Life
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife Life?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

It is a long but one time application to fill out and uncomfortably took blood and medical test for my 10 years flat rate of $1 Million life coverage insurance at the age of 53 (till 63). Able to renew every year for ten years at same rate.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

My life insurance policy has been in place for over 30 years. I've received good service from Metlife throughout that time. I was given the choice between a whole life policy, term life policy and universal life policy.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2020

My mother and I became estranged her last five years here on earth due to her mental illness. My brother and his wife immediately took over and blew through her money. Even making sure he was executor and Power of attorney. I knew she had a life insurance policy. My brother's actions were fishy even after my mother's passing and he put her cremation on his credit card. I called MetLife to inquire. Yes the call center is in another country. However, I had in general questions because I figured both my brother and I were beneficiaries and him being executor I didn't trust I'd see mine.

I broke down mildly and explained my fear to I call him Indonesian Steven. Steven asked me my name and asked if I'd like to make a claim but he couldn't tell me if I was a beneficiary that claims would call me. I was hesitant because I didn't want to disrespect my brother's position. That is when Indonesian Steven said "Let me explain something to you. An executor or power of attorney can surrender (cash out) the policy regardless of the beneficiary. Would you like to file a claim?" Doing a light bulb and yes I did.

Within 2 weeks I had claim forms. I was the only beneficiary. Ha! Yes I got a scathing text from my brother. Less than a month I got my check. This company went to bat for me! Even when my brother screwed up the death cert. Then mailed me a letter saying if I could prove her correct birth year only a year difference I would be entitled to another two hundred dollars. Of course, I wasnt going through the hassle. I am soo very thankful for the claims department and " Indonesian Steven" helping, going to bat for me and getting me money and quickly as they did. I would consider getting a policy but they only offer it through business place of employment. Your heirs will not be let down I promise!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

Metlife has not paid my pension after paying premium for 9 year. They just refused to pay saying due to current situation. For what purpose customer save? Do not promise the amount and Pension if you cannot keep your words. We are also in same current situation.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I broke my ankle. Had disability, accident and hospital insurance through them. I sent in documents error sending a page twice and not sending the correct page. I called to verify and found out my error and resent the document correctly. They needed additional information so I waited and sent them my entire hospital chart. I called to check and they received it and they did. I called back on day 8 of 7-10 days they allow. They told me they never received the page of the document that they advised was missing prior. I had sent the page and verified I received it so I was extremely angry. I spoke with a supervisor who told me I had to send the page so I did stating I was not about to wait an additional 10 days. They kept spouting off about their policy. I told them I wanted this resolved immediately. She told me I would get a call back in 24-48 hours.

I told her that wasn’t acceptable and I would be calling back in 5 minutes and expected to speak with someone to get it resolved today. I called back about 15 minutes later and the apparently only competent representative discovered that I indeed had sent the document in its entirety in June as I had said all along. She said she would email the examiner that information. She was the only one to help me in any way. I have complaints about the phone system also. I had to hang up and recall many times due to a very poor connection. I would be disconnected and only received one call back of five or six disconnected calls. I am asking my employer to seek another carrier.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have MetLife group accident coverage through my work. I have had to make 2 claims. On both occasions I was told initially that all my medical costs were covered and that the ankle fracture I suffered the first claim would pay a minimum of 1000$. I received a total payout of 335$ for all my medical expenses. They wouldn’t even reimburse my crutches or physical therapy visits like they said they would.

The second time I was assaulted and suffered two fractures in my face. MetLife wouldn’t proceed with the claim unless I gave them the police report which it does not state anywhere in their policy that this is a requirement. It’s accident insurance. It should be covered no matter what. They change their rules to fit their needs and try to find every loophole they can to get out of paying typical insurance company. I had Aflac before and they are 1000% better. A stand up company that honors their agreements. Stay away from MetLife. It isn’t even worth the 3.50$ every two weeks from your paycheck.

Original review: May 1, 2020

I have had a Metlife whole life policy for about 20 years. Would like to discuss options for 1035 exchange or conversion in part to term with surrender. Have made multiple phone calls. Eventually I get someone outside the USA whole struggles with the English language and is unable to answer even the most basic questions. Moreover, the inforce illustrations provided at the beginning were farcically bad. That I am STILL paying premiums to keep this policy going is a bad joke. Horrible product. Horrible service.

Original review: April 28, 2020

This company insures Kroger employees for their disability. They have been horrible to my friend Hazel and refused to cover her cancer surgery and treatment at the local cancer hospital, which is a Metlife participating facility. This woman is 78 years old and has very little income and now will probably lose her job at Kroger. Shame on you Metlife!

Original review: April 2, 2020

My father passed away in November 2019. I've been fighting with MetLife since then to pay the life insurance claim. They state that my father made his trust the beneficiary. Problem is, the trust was supposedly made in 1997 and left in the hands of a bank that is no longer in business. Neither myself, my brothers nor my parent's attorney have any memory of this trust. MetLife is refusing to release the funds until they "have done their due diligence" in making sure that this trust is no longer valid. As the trustee, I've sent them an affidavit stating that it is no longer valid, but that didn't matter. We've sent them affidavits stating that we children are the only survivors, but that didn't matter. I call them, every week, and every week it's the same story; "we're trying to get a hold of the bank, but they are not returning our call."

When I ask how long they're going to continue to try, I'm usually told that, if they don't hear this week, then they will "go with what is in front of us". When I call back, the next week, I hear, "Oh, no, we're still trying to a hold of the bank". So, I get back on the merry-go-round and ask, again, how long they're going to try. "Until we're sure we've done our due diligence". I'm told. Speak to you on Monday, I always say. I've had my attorney call them twice. We've offered them indemnity. All of the other accounts my father had paid out long ago. This is the most frustrating company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with and, when this is over, I do not plan to ever deal with them again.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Our mom died in August 2019, I have never submitted a bad review before but now it is time. She had two life insurance policies for my brother and I. MetLife's competitor pulled through immediately. Metlife, on the other hand, has terrible customer service. My brother and I were sent a check after LONG waits on the phone and a lot of paper work sent in. All of a sudden months later we get a statement that tells us we have $2200 more???? Can we get through the phone lines? NO! I work most hours they are open so have only a short time to do so. I honestly took the day off from work today and I've been on hold for 43min so far. You know 'they are experiencing high call volumes.. This happened EVERY time we had to call them..

Wait, whoa,, A customer service rep finally answered just now & shoot decided he cannot help me. He has to pass me over to another dept! More to come..it has now been 1hr 43min and still on hold 'Jessica' answered and understood my frustration, explained to me that this money is from a stock called Computer Shares that they are affiliated with and she connected me with them.. They claimed they could not hear me and hung up.. Not happy~

MetLife author review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information