Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
  2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

MetLife Life

MetLife Life
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.53/5

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

MetLife Life Reviews

Original review: April 2, 2020

My father passed away in November 2019. I've been fighting with MetLife since then to pay the life insurance claim. They state that my father made his trust the beneficiary. Problem is, the trust was supposedly made in 1997 and left in the hands of a bank that is no longer in business. Neither myself, my brothers nor my parent's attorney have any memory of this trust. MetLife is refusing to release the funds until they "have done their due diligence" in making sure that this trust is no longer valid. As the trustee, I've sent them an affidavit stating that it is no longer valid, but that didn't matter. We've sent them affidavits stating that we children are the only survivors, but that didn't matter. I call them, every week, and every week it's the same story; "we're trying to get a hold of the bank, but they are not returning our call."

When I ask how long they're going to continue to try, I'm usually told that, if they don't hear this week, then they will "go with what is in front of us". When I call back, the next week, I hear, "Oh, no, we're still trying to a hold of the bank". So, I get back on the merry-go-round and ask, again, how long they're going to try. "Until we're sure we've done our due diligence". I'm told. Speak to you on Monday, I always say. I've had my attorney call them twice. We've offered them indemnity. All of the other accounts my father had paid out long ago. This is the most frustrating company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with and, when this is over, I do not plan to ever deal with them again.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Our mom died in August 2019, I have never submitted a bad review before but now it is time. She had two life insurance policies for my brother and I. MetLife's competitor pulled through immediately. Metlife, on the other hand, has terrible customer service. My brother and I were sent a check after LONG waits on the phone and a lot of paper work sent in. All of a sudden months later we get a statement that tells us we have $2200 more???? Can we get through the phone lines? NO! I work most hours they are open so have only a short time to do so. I honestly took the day off from work today and I've been on hold for 43min so far. You know 'they are experiencing high call volumes.. This happened EVERY time we had to call them..

Wait, whoa,, A customer service rep finally answered just now & shoot decided he cannot help me. He has to pass me over to another dept! More to come..it has now been 1hr 43min and still on hold 'Jessica' answered and understood my frustration, explained to me that this money is from a stock called Computer Shares that they are affiliated with and she connected me with them.. They claimed they could not hear me and hung up.. Not happy~

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

My mom received a letter from MetLife asking about a divorce decree. My dad passed away on 12/20/19 and he was insured with MetLife since 1992. My mom and dad has been together for 50 years and he listed her the beneficiary for his life insurance. My dad never married my mom and had three kids together. On the insurance paperwork, my mom is listed here as his spouse. However it is a problem, on the policy it just have her first name and DOB. They never included my mom last name. No one bother to ask for the last name but has my mom first name, address, and DOB. So now it’s a problem. Then, I was told because on the death certificate he has divorced now we need a divorce decree. I’m confused what one thing have to do with the other. All I know my dad ex wife was remarried with children and don’t even know where she’s located. So how can I get a divorce decree. They got married in the 60s.

We even offered the Will from my dad that is notarized which show my mom as the beneficiary. This insurance is a BIG SCAM. Why when I first file the claim how was the information given to my mom knowing you didn’t have her last name listed as the beneficiary. It seems like anyone can call and retrieve information. Then they told my mom to contact legal. At this point, I don’t know what to do. My mom and dad been together 50 years and wanted to make sure my mom was taking care now it is a slap in the face. A month since the claim filed now it is a problem. It wasn’t a problem when my dad was making payment on time all this years. SHAME ON THEM. I read the reviews about Metlife and did not want to believe it but my family‘s experience confirmed that today.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

My mother fell and to spend down for Medicaid I had to cash surrender her life insurance, approx $7000. (Her funds have to be lower than $2000). MetLife is the only company that won’t accept my guardianship papers. Every time I send documentation it takes 24-48 hours to “up-load”; via email or fax. Every time I have called it takes telling the entire story AGAIN.

I started the process Jan 2, 2020. Gave my contact info that if there was anything else they need please contact me immediately (phone or email). They sent a letter 2 weeks later saying they did not accept my guardianship papers. I had to set up a new court date and miss more time off work and spend more money to get papers specific that I am allowed to handle the MetLife contract. I get the addl court paperwork Jan 22 and set up a UPS account so they can overnight at my expense. (That’s fine just get it to me before the Medicaid application deadline!). They received paperwork 2 days later. (Jan 24 a Friday). Nothing done.

Mon Jan 27 today they are still processing. 3 calls and no answer saying funds are released. IF they overnight it today I get it Tues, meet with funeral director for an irrevocable funeral contract Wednesday the 28th. If not Mom will not qualify for Medicaid and the nursing home will be owed $11,000. Money she doesn’t have except MetLife has $7000 of it. If you ever have to deal with them in a death it could possibly be easier.

In my situation if you can’t get conservatorship duties specifically spelled out you’re out of luck. Now they tell me they don’t accept UPS so don’t waste your time. Okay just got off the phone. If you have trouble like I have ask to speak to “stateside” during 9-5 eastern standard time. Don’t waste your time in the Philippines. They are friendly but inept and powerless. She actually told me to call Tues January 28 and that us postal mail may be faster. She also said it may not be to me until Friday. The last day my mom is allowed to have any funds in her name. I have to cancel the appointment with the funeral guy - change to Friday. She wants me to call my state Medicaid see if they will accept a letter saying the cash surrender check is processed as of a certain date and that the check is in the mail - will they accept that letter. Will they accept that as proof? If so they will fax said letter. I’m not going to tell you what happens.

Suffice it to say the company is not one that you want to buy life insurance with. I don’t care how many people died and it was easy to get the money. Don’t listen to them. Met has no choice then. But when it comes to special issues like cash surrenders and guardianships etc like mine let my story of stress and woe guide you. Don’t use them.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

“My mother died last April 2019. She left two modest policies for my sister and I. We sent in the claims and death certificates early May. By November they were telling me they needed death certificates. I sent more certificates. Now my sister and I are running out of death certificates - we’ve sent 4 total. Today I got another notice they’re missing the claim forms for the policies. The previous time I spoke to them they had the claim forms and needed death certificates. Now they want new claim forms filled out and mailed. Why are they giving us the runaround? I have no idea. These aren’t $1 million dollar double indemnity claims. They’re a couple thousand dollars. I advise everyone never to get a policy from MetLife, and if you have one, cash it out NOW!”

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Metlife will decline your file unless you are terminal even if you you have a specialist and comprehensive medical test completed. If you are denied on your initial application you would be foolish to not obtain an attorney, it cost you nothing to discuss with an attorney.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I have had critical and accidental insurance with this company for a yr. When I went on a leave of absence they cancelled my policy without me knowing then went back and took back pay out my check without my authorization twice. I filed a claim with them in Aug 2019 and sad to say my claim is still under review because they keep dropping the ball. I have sent them all the information they need and they keep asking for the same documents over and over. I do not recommend this company to anyone. If you want good supplemental insurance try Aflac. I've heard great things about them. If I could give this company 0 stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I have had auto insurance with Metlife for a little over a year. The rates were competitive so I went with them. Created an online account to have easy access to make changes and make payments. However, their online service is ridiculous. The site is always experiencing technical difficulties and tells you to log in at a later time. If and when you can finally log in, you'll be lucky if you can do anything (i.e. make a payment, make changes to your policy, print id cards, etc.). If you call customer service, be prepared to be on a long hold and have a lot of disconnects. Worse experience I ever had with auto insurance. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I ever had to file a claim. Incompetent, not customer oriented.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was in the hospital overnight for chest pains in Aug 2019. We sent a claim into Metlife in September. At first they were very she told me what we needed and I sent it in. I followed up to see if they received it and they did and it will be 7-10 days. Well it is now November and every time we call it's something different. I tell them when I call I can hang up right now, get a new person and they will tell me something different. I don't know why they haven't shut them down yet. I have always had Aflac and they were great. We are going back to Aflac next year.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I'm a Financial Planner and I have clients who have MetLife / Brighthouse contracts and their customer service is absolutely terrible. I once had to send in a copy of the client's driver's license 4 separate times for them to process the transaction of the funds. Every time I called in, the client and I were told "we never received it". Even though I had confirmation emails of the driver's license being approved. Oh, and you know what they needed the license for? Because their records indicated that the client's last name didn't have an apostrophe meanwhile the paperwork submitted to them did. When I asked the client about it, she said she always spelled her name with an apostrophe and it was a typo on their end.

Long story short, it took us 7 weeks to have the transaction settled because of an apostrophe and lack of communication on MetLife/Brighthouse's end. This was just one issue. I've had multiple issues along the way such as MetLife/Brighthouse requiring additional information from the client but never informing us they needed the info. We only found out when we called in every week. Terrible communication.

Secondly, good luck trying to get a real person on the line to answer any questions you may have regarding a client's contract as the advisor, or the client's contract if they are calling in. Average hold wait time is 15-20 minutes before you can speak to someone and most of the time, we had to get routed to another department for another 15-20 minute hold. A client and I were once on hold for 1 hour and 13 minutes. Yes, that's correct. Holding was so miserable that I checked my phone log to see how long we waited until we spoke to someone. Boy was that a cringing nightmare to remember and mention here.

Lastly, they do a subpar job posting factual information regarding their products for customers to make an informed decision if it is the right fit for them (if they are going at it alone), and even as an advisor, it takes me over an hour every time I need to find additional basic information on a product. Hence why I do not use their products anymore altogether.

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

Headquartered in New York City, MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one of the largest insurance sales companies in the world — MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries across the globe.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information