MetLife Life
3.49/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States. MetLife is verified by InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. To see quotes from MetLife and others, contact InsuraMatch today.

428 MetLife Life Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

I was supposed to have an annuity payment beginning April 1. I have called constantly and I get another flimsy story every time. No one seems to be able to get an answer about when I will begin receiving my annuity, which is my money. They say they understand my frustration and will email paperwork, return the call in 2-3 business days, send paperwork in the mail. NO FOLLOW THROUGH whatsoever. Terrible company.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have been calling MetLife for a month now! I have been getting the runaround and am getting nowhere. I call and call and nothing is getting done! I just need a simple email with my statement and they refuse! Oh, I've been on hold for over 15 mins today. Lol!

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I canceled my auto policy and requested stop payroll deductions. After I canceled my policy they still took $684.51 from my payroll. When asked to refund my money I keep getting the runaround passing me off to different people every time I call to find out when I will receive my money. Everyone has told me something different and than offer their apologies. Tired of apologies. I just want my money. I would never recommend them to anyone.???

Original review: April 15, 2019

If you ever need insurance I would suggest not even considering MetLife unless you like having to deal with only automated attendants and having actual people that you do speak with like to you. They said my policy would be renewed but when I go to purchase a vehicle I find out I don't have insurance and it has lapsed which is going to cost me a fortune - I had 1 accident in 23 years of driving and they won't renew, and didn't tell me they weren't renewing, and you CANNOT SPEAK WITH ANYONE ABOUT ANY ISSUES! Just terrible company. Do not buy anything unless you don't have a choice.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I want to complain about the service at Metlife Critical Illness Insurance. This is an insurance Metlife provides for cancer and other major health issues. Today I called the customer service line, and the service was terrible. One major problem occurred when I asked if I qualified for full cancer benefits or partial cancer benefits. This qualification depends on a few things, but a major factor is the TNM score of the primary tumor. They at first refused to read me the qualifications for both cancers because "I wouldn't understand it", which I insisted. Then I asked if my T2N0M0 cancer with surgery and chemo would qualify for full benefits, and they said that they cannot answer that question and there was no one familiar with the claims process that I could talk to.

It was very disrespectful that the attendant assumed I would would not be able to understand the qualifications. I do not blame the call attendant, but this is a serious fail on Metlife, especially since the person I talked to is supposed to help with just the Critical Illness Insurance. Two stars because they did send me the form needed to complete my claim.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Original review: March 28, 2019

This is the most disgraceful insurance company I have ever dealt with. If I could give them a negative 5 I would. My original quote was $179/paycheck. I then received a letter indicating that my rate is going to be $223 per paycheck. Upon calling to find out the difference in what I was quoted verbally vs what was in writing I was told "I don't know. I'll look into it." After not hearing back from the agent for 2 days I emailed her back and was told the $88 monthly difference was because they were breaking up my payments over 25 pay periods instead of 26. $88 per month x 12 month is $1,056 annually.

How is that a difference of one paycheck? When I responded to this email that this makes absolutely no sense I did not receive another response. I have now switched to another company and I am paying $206 monthly! They are a rip off and try to make it seem convenient because it is being deducted from your paycheck. Do not fall for it!!!

Original review: March 27, 2019

MetLife is a post-tax deduction I pay each pay period, and it's highly subsidized through my employer. I really appreciate that it's inexpensive by of deductions, and it will provide a great deal of assistance to family in the event anything critical occurs that ends my life. I have no dependents, but I've named my young niece and nephew as primary beneficiaries, and my MetLife Term Life Insurance policy would allow them to better afford education.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I had a hysterectomy on 2-15-19. They keep giving me the runaround. They are trying to say that my condition was pre-existing. How is a hysterectomy pre-existing? I have been out of work for over a month with no income. This is a horrible insurance company. They act like we are stealing from them and treating me badly. I called today and they told me that they finally have all the paperwork and I have to wait another 10 business days for them to review the claim. This truly isn’t fair for someone who has had a life changing surgery.

Original review: March 20, 2019

High fees, very little investment options, absolutely careless financial advisers that do not respond on questions and requests, very poor website - those are ingredients of the product 'MetLife IRA Annuity'. So sorry, we kept losing money with them for years. Now closed our accounts for the price of termination fee but to stay with them would be even worse. Should be done years ago, my flout. And you know what? On transfer to another company they also charged 'Guaranteed income' fee (!!!) Shame on you, MetLife!

Original review: March 19, 2019

Called today to make sure the extra money I have been sending lately should go to paying off a loan I had with them. They tell me that I haven't been paying enough on my premium to pay for my life insurance. I get a bill from them every month for $30.00. They claim I should be paying $70+ dollars a month and they are getting close to cancelling me for non-payment. Been with them for 27 years. I was told that my payment went up every year after the 2nd year. They never sent me a bill for the increases for 25 yrs. I paid my bill every month for what they billed me ($30). They claim I should have read the annual report to see the increases. I said they should send me my real monthly payment if the payments go up. I'm not an insurance knowledgeable person. I send in what they bill me just like any bill I get every month. They don't tell you that your premiums have been going up every year!!!

So 25 years have gone by and I've paid what they bill me. I'm supposed to know that the increases are sent to me once a year in the yearly report they send to me. This has got to be on purpose for them to cancel anyone's policies for non payment. They said on the phone to me that a lot of people inquire about this same problem. Disgusting that they don't put increases on your monthly bill!!! You need to read their yearly report. Bullcrap. This should be looked into and prosecuted for deceiving millions of people who have been cancelled or threatened to lose their policies. Rick **. Calling my senators!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have had heart issues in the past even been hospitalized. Well my wife was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. Of course this caused a lot of stress on my heart. I filed for FMLA/STD because my doctor took me off work for my issues. My wife had a heart transplant Sept 1st and my FMLA was approved but not my STD because they said it was for my wife. It was for me. I fought this daily until I was forced back to work even though my doctor was against it. I worked for 2 to 3 weeks and my blood pressure shot to 245/148 needless to say they found 4 blocked arteries end of Jan.

I had open heart surgery Feb 8th. Well guess what I did get approved after almost dying. The worse part is the way my case manager talked to me. She about caused me a heart attack a few days before surgery. She was so rude to me. I would not want anyone to experience what I have at the worse time ever. I just wanted to give up. But I was assigned a different lady for my appeal and she was great! I would rather go through another heart transplant than ever deal with MetLife again. They about killed me the last 5 months.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I wanted to cancel my Term Life insurance which I bought for myself years ago almost 10 years ago. Obviously I have changed my name through marriage and moved a couple of times. I have provided my social security number, birthdate, name, current last name and yet they still say I am not the person on the policy. I have provided my bank account to which they have been debiting my payments to them. They are so fast to get payments but give me the runaround when I wanted to cancel the term life insurance.

I have spoken to several customer service people and a supervisor and yet I could not cancel the insurance. My social security number has not changed even if I remarried, changed names nor moved addresses in the last 10 years. They don’t even double check my social security nor update their account of the changes in name and address I have been telling them. This insurance is ridiculous. I purchased that insurance for myself and I can’t cancel it when I don’t want or need it anymore. Nobody seem to understand nor want to assist me. They make it difficult to Cancel this insurance.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

The insurance doubles in price, I have been paying on my policy for over 40 years. It looks like I will have to cancel my policy or go to the poor house. At the age of 85 it doubles again. You cannot afford to Live.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

After paying into my MetLife whole life for more than 15 years, and having my dividends pay for the premiums, when I turned 65, the dividends mysteriously no longer covered the premiums. Now I am being forced to pay more than $2,200 per year for a $150,000 policy. And they refuse to send me a copy of my policy. None of this is a coincidence.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Applied for term life insurance and waited 8 weeks only to be denied coverage for a minor non-life threatening pre-existing condition. My life expectancy remains the same as a healthy male my age and my condition is not known to be connected to any other conditions. Don't bother with this crappy company if you have a pre-existing condition. Waste of time. Only 100% healthy people or people with a condition who haven't been to a doctor need to apply. Shame on me for going to a doctor. Now my condition is documented. I do not recommend.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Similar to other comments on this website, I have been unable to reach Brighthouse Financial/MetLife for several days. No matter what time or day I call or what day I call, they are always "experiencing high call volumes". I have yet to get through to an actual customer representative. The average time I have waited until I have disconnected is in excess of 40 minutes. I have even tried to reach them in conjunction with a Vanguard representative to see if they knew a better access number. They had a similar situation. I have been unable to access my annuity account. Next up is a complaint to the SEC.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I purchased a policy for my husband. When he experienced an illness covered by the policy, Cancer, MetLife distorted, either due to incompetence, dishonesty or both, interpretation of his medical records and refused to pay the benefits of the policy. Another insurance company with whom we had a policy, Aflac, reviewed the same medical records and promptly paid benefits. We would recommend that MetLife not be trusted by any consumer.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

When I signed up, the agent was very responsive in trying to get me the best deal. Wasn’t happy with his first couple quotes until he came back with more coverage at the same price I was already paying except one month free, so sure why not. The payments were scheduled to come out automatically. To my surprise I was charged the first month and I wasn’t supposed to be! I email the agent with no response so the second time I emailed him and said I was going to cancel if he didn’t fix this!

He emailed me back and said, "Oops my fault..." His fix was like $10 off! So I email again stating, "This is not what you quoted me..." No response again so I called to cancel and went back to Geico. That was Aug, today I received a collection bill for unpaid portion! I never received a final bill, although I was set up on auto pay too so why wouldn’t they just have taken it out when I canceled if I owed on part of the policy I canceled! I’ve never had such a horrible experience and now I have a tarnish on my credit because their lack of integrity sent me to collections without notifying me!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Horrible customer service. It's been 2 months and I still can't log in to the website. 1 month into the insurance plan and I got no documentation via email or US mail. Of course they had my address wrong. 2 months and I still can't log in to the website, my policy doesn't show up. Good luck trying to find the correct URL to use. I called the 800 number and the women was horrible. I could not hear her and she gave me attitude because I asked her multiple items to please speak louder. I still cannot see my declarations page. I can't log in. It's true what they say. You get what you pay for. I should have stayed with Geico. I don't even want to think about if I have to file a claim with these people. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My husband had a whole life insurance policy with MetLife/Brighthouse for over 5 years and when he passed away on October 6, 2018 I was told as soon as the mortuary was paid I would receive funds. It has now been over 30 days and no payout so far. First, they said the mortuary had not sent an invoice (they did a number of times). And then when I telephone their 800 number I tried to communicate with someone whose accent was such that I could not understand her. She (I think) told me that I would get the money within ten days - when that didn't happen I called back over and over again and no one seemed to know what was going on.

Last week they sent me a form to fill out and still no money. I would never deal with these disorganized, unprofessional people again. I needed the money in order to put our house on the market since it was a VA mortgage and I am not able to qualify on my own with just a retirement income. My son, his wife and me (three days after my husband's death) had to clean out a house, get rid of furniture and get the house ready to sell. This has been the most stressful event that I have ever had to go through and was certainly not made any easier with MetLife's inability to get a check to me so I would not go into foreclosure. Shame on them!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have to pay yearly premium: issue: 1. I am not able to log in with my old credential. 2. Not able to reset password as not receiving password generation code in mail trying since several hour. 3. Given customer care no is invalid. Now let me know what anyone can do. I have not seen such a poor service ever.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I went to update payment on my policy and could not access it online. When I called, no one seemed to be able to locate my policy based on the number I was provided. After finding another company for half the price I decided to cancel the policy. First, after going through the automated voice system several times and it always telling me I needed to call back during business hours, no matter what time of day I tried, I finally said "new policy". I miraculously got through to a person. They still could not locate my policy but assured me it was canceled. When I called back the next day to get a cancellation number the lady tried for twenty minutes to locate my policy and finally said, "yeah, I'd cancel too." It wasn't until I requested a refund of the money paid over the past year, since clearly I didn't have a policy, that they managed to locate my policy. These people are a joke and I question their ability to actually cover you should you need to file a claim.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I am in contact with the BBB and an attorney for double charges that should not have occurred. I had to change my billing address four separate times and even then, their autopay option, which was forced upon me because apparently there is no choice in the matter, did not go through and I was charged a late fee every other week. Now that I cancelled my insurance, I am being charged another exorbitant late fee, supposedly for previous "late" fee occurrences. I made manual payments for every single one of these charges. Every time I attempted to contact their call center, I was hung up on, excused away, and then ultimately told that they had no supervisors to assist them and that they would attempt to contact me in a few days. I would only recommend this company to people I don't like.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

By far the worst company ever to have disability with. My case worker was giving inaccurate information. They took forever to pay me. I will be checking to see if I could change to Aflac beginning of next year. Being on maternity leave and dealing with this ** company was not fun at all. Thank goodness I have a wonderful support system.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

The international savings plan from MetLife is one of the worst plans on earth with Highest fund management charges and ridiculous conditions. You will have to pay a minimum of 4-6% annually on all the charges to MetLife and your chances of earning starts only if you gain more than 7% every year. Now on top of this please note that if you plan to exit before the full term they will take away a minimum of 50% of your hard earned investment and call it as surrender charges. By far this is the worst policy I have ever seen and please do note that while selling the plan they won't reveal you any costs or conditions. Better Read the T&C's correctly if you don't want to be trapped.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

They're definitely NOT Aflac. I purchased MetLife Critical Illness coverage via my employer. I had to be approved for coverage. I was informed that it was MetLife not my employer who did the approval. I thought ok, good. They never asked for my medical history. I had double mastectomy the prior year and still under doctors care.

Falling further behind in my bills, I decided to file a claim July 2018. I faxed in original pathology reports as requested. It is now Sept and no decision. I did call mid Aug. The rep said they ordered more medical records for review pre existing. I commented MetLife approved me. She said my company approved me. My employer does not pay the claims. They're not underwriters. She stated they weren't underwriters. Any insurance company has underwriting department. I worked insurance claims for 10 years. Cancer center sent records Aug 27th. It is now 9/5/18, still waiting. I was approved for them to receive premium. I asked before filing the claim was there any other paperwork/questionnaire to complete. The response was no.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The critical care insurance was sold based upon coverage like “heart by-pass” where critical care would have to take place. I was told that the coverage would be provided for other “like conditions”. I had open heart surgery to replace a heart valve and when I processed the claim, it was denied. They had no issues with cashing my checks for the premiums but refused to take care of me when it counted and was needed.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

MetLife is a company that does not truly value customers as they claim to. I was with MetLife for 10 years and am truly appalled at the treatment I received. After purchasing a new car I was told that my insurance was all set and I was covered with the new vehicle. Despite being told that information, someone canceled my insurance leaving me without any coverage. I was not notified about my lack of insurance until the RMV contacted me to let me know. Once I called MetLife to sort the issue the rep that helped me would not answer my call and would instantly forward me to a different local agency. Despite my pleas and explanations MetLife said there was nothing they could and left my insurance canceled forcing me to switch to another company. I am not a problematic driver and have never even gotten a speeding ticket. If you want to save yourself from a company that does not value you then do not open a policy with MetLife.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am set up for auto-pay. I have always paid manually until this past week while having eye surgery. Auto pay set on the 29th. They did not deduct payment & charged me on 8-1 a $25 late fee. They refuse to credit when I had to pay manually. Service rep could not explain why they didn’t deduct with auto pay. But refused to credit late charge. Worst customer service ever. Rude and would not let me talk to a supervisor. Basically they stole $25 from me. I have never missed a payment & always pay early. This time I had to rely on autopay, they messed up and I got shafted! I would like help in resolution.

Original review: July 23, 2018

While preparing to retire and get all my documents in order, I called Brighthouse. The first day I called 6 different numbers because the system kept telling me I was in the wrong place. Finally got through only to be told I needed to be transferred again. On hold for 48 minutes. Received the paperwork necessary and then needed a number on the form in order to complete it. Called again - 52 minutes this time - hung up - called again and transferred three times. Still don't have the information and it is a simple question in order to complete their paperwork. Currently on hold again for the last 63 minutes and still no one answers. Three days to get something answered. Do they have only one real, live person available?

MetLife expert review by Neal Frankle

MetLife, Inc. is the holding company for Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (Met Life). The parent company (MetLife, Inc.) is one the largest insurance sales companies in the world. MetLife, Inc. has over 90 million customers in over 60 countries and started their business in 1868. MetLife, Inc. is headquartered in New York City.

• Wide range of products: Besides offering a complete line of life insurance, Met also sells auto, dental, disability, long-term care, and small-business insurance.

• Competitive: Met is often very competitive in a variety of different product markets.

• Convenient: Provides one-stop shopping for customers who value that service.

• Convenience: Customers may become complacent and opt for the convenience of having one company handle all their insurance needs rather than shop for the best product for each area.

• Risk: Having one company provide all the insurance needs for an individual or company increases risk.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

MetLife Life Company Information