MetLife Life

MetLife Life Reviews

About MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Life Reviews

Stars Rating

• 4%
  • 7%
  • 5%
  • 1%
  • 83%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

Reviewed April 24, 2023

This company is a fraud, I'm reaching out to a news outlet to investigate them. They were suppose to be taking my premium monthly and didn't do it, didn't know it until I received a cancelation letter in the mail.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed April 21, 2023

Policy holder took out $10,000 whole life policy at age 25... borrowed small amount on policy later with dividends on policy covering amounts due on policy for decades. There was no contact by any insurance representative thru the decades with the policy cost being covered by dividends. In 2022 policyholder did not pay heed to a rather insignificant notation on billing that said $316.66 would be needed by 11/2/22.

On 11/14/22 received notice of policy cancellation... called immediately that day requesting the policy be reactivated... Metropolitan representative said should not be a problem... saying that could be done and Metropolitan would contact us for documentation update. We called and sent written request at various times after 11/14/22. We also sent the amount of $316.66 as directed (and an additional $500).

There should’ve been better notice to us about cancellation... should've been live notice before cancellation on 11/2/2022 and live personal contacts from Metropolitan over the decades. There also should’ve been consultation as well of application of policy earnings/dividend funds differently. Somehow undecided by us part of the policy dividends were applied to paid up insurance. Those funds could’ve been applied to loan interest instead of paid up insurance which all was cancelled on 11/2/22. As it is now according to details sent if policy is not reactivated the paid up insurance and the face value are both no longer in force. Payment was easily overlooked when no funds whatsoever had been sent by us for many-many years. We were under the impression that the policy was essentially paid up.

In any case it still does not seem right that we took out a $10,000 policy 59 years before and paid $2,436.76 to Metropolitan, received relatively small amount as a policy loan, dividends paid expense for decades and with us losing the policy and now having a $14,116,76 taxable 1099R gain now at 84 years of age 59 years later! This is crazy ... Why would anyone buy into such a scenario? We should not have obtained this so called life insurance at all. The purported gain can easily translate into a $4,500 additional tax liability as well as additional social security income tax and increased Medicare premiums. This is just nuts!

Ken **

Tacoma, Washington **

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2023

Please do not ever purchase or participate with MetLife Vision. It has taken over 10 or more phone calls to try and submit a claim electronically for reimbursement for a vision plan. This process does not exist and all claims must be submitted via USPO mail. You would think this could be explained and clarified immediately by the representatives.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2023

My father who passed away 2 years ago had several policies for him and my mother dating back to the 1980s. As the Power of attorney for my 90 year old mother who has Alzheimer's, I stepped in to oversee these policies. I am an educated grown woman that has taken dubious notes as I talked to customer representatives. I have send payments certificated mail and I requested quotes be sent to me via email so I have a paper trail. I made copies of everything I mail to them and as well as any email response I receive. January 2022, I asked to be emailed the amount we own on a specific policy because it wasn't on the statement. They emailed the amount and the following day I sent payment overnight. They tried to refund my payment and not give us the benefit because they said the payment was late. It was late because I was waiting on Met Life to tell me what we owed!

With all of my dedication and close attention, it still took me 9 months!! to get them to correct the benefit amount for this policy. I HAD TO FIGHT FOR IT!! Hours and hours on the phone. I have never in my 52 years written a review on a company, but I am today. THIS IS THE WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE. THEY WILL NEVER FOLLOW-UP WITH YOU. IT IS 100% UP TO YOU TO KEEP CALLING AND CALLING AND CALLING. It is exhausting. I can't imagine that my sweet mother could have done any of this even if she was in her right mind. It is most disgraceful company I have ever done business with.

Reviewed Jan. 5, 2023

These people used to be good in 2009, these people has now begin to be crooked, oh yes you better trust our words, now they'll write and tell you your money hasn't been paid to get more money, these crooks now want your bank account so they can con you, these crooks has pulled out my bank account with fake checks, we're not getting any payment receipts at all, now they're saying my insurance is collapse, I owe $160.00 and I've been sending checks, one policy I don't know where it's going, bad to try to help people and they don't want help.

I keep telling my mother to get out this crooked insurance, I told her she's been sending the payments, but refuse to listen so how can you help foolish people? They keep writing checks on her, checks we didn't send, then it has a lot of ** in there, they act like they can't understand English, yet we sent copies that we paid the insurance that they lied and said we didn't pay, sent the copies, yet these crooks didn't send no kind of response. This has been since October. It's 2023 now, they don't send receipts at all anymore nor policies, they wanna pull out your bank account, that's why them crooks wants our bank information so they can steal our money, they has gone to the dogs, they're evil and corrupt and we need to sue these people.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2022

I have several different MetLife Medical policies and overall they are terrible to deal with. Not only do they not communicate through any modern tech (they still use MAIL) not email or electronic but good old fashioned USPS mail. Claims take forever to process and their website is continually bogged with errors. The policies are misleading as to what they pay and how they pay, whenever I have filed a claim inevitably I have to call over and over again to get the right benefit paid out. In doing so, I wait another 10 days even if it is their error. I would never recommend any of MetLife Medical policies. I have recently used AFLAC and it has been great.

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2022

Don’t use MetLife life insurance policy for any reason. They are careless, corrupt and don’t care one bit about its customers. Stay away from this Company (MetLife). They are deceitful and reckless!!!!

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Aug. 22, 2022

Second update about MetLife. Sent email with surrender docs as requested to them, August fifth. Called them on the sixteenth and they stated never received, sent 2 more copies of the surrender docs and also faxed them a copy with the POA attached. Still no response as of the twenty-second. Called them again and now they said they sent a doc, never did. I tested their email by logging into the site and changed the phone number and got a email in a few minutes to my email address. So, their email server is working. Spoke to them and they said the POA is over 5 years old.

They want a new one, you can't get an Alzheimer patient to sign a document if they are incompetent. All other banks take it, also I'm selling my mom’s home to pay for the nursing home. No issues with the POA. (Your talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, not a few from MetLife. This sounds like the same insurance company that was portrayed in "the rainmaker". Very nasty customer service reps, and they use all the tactics they can to hold up payment, which is being used for my mom’s long-term care. If you care for your family never use them.

Reviewed June 13, 2022

I have a policy provided by my employer through MetLife as well as other things I purchased and are taken out of my check and I am not able to get on the online portal, have had no information sent to me, they refuse to help me when I call, and I have no way of getting any information to my beneficiary should something happen to me. Starting to feel like they don't want to give people their own policy information so they can screw beneficiaries or allow you to file a claim. SCAM!

Reviewed May 11, 2022

In 2017 I was offered to invest my money in this safe policy called Wealth Builder. Last year I realised I lost 15k out of 55 K but I was told that was temporary so I waited another year and lost in total 30 thousand dollars out of 75 thousand dollars that I put in. The company made extremely difficult for me to surrender. I strongly suggest no one to invest their money in this kind of policy. Just an advice!

Reviewed May 2, 2022

Metropolitan Life and Computershare, (which are the same company, but don’t communicate with each other), have made a very emotional and painful situation, so very, very much worse. I have sent documentation after documentation to both divisions several times, and am still being asked for more. When finally able to speak to a live person, I am given conflicting information. No one has ever called me, or emailed me, and I just keep getting letters from them asking for more documents. I will NEVER employ this insurance company. I don’t want my children to go through the nightmare that has been inflicted on me by MetLife.

CoverageStaff

Reviewed April 10, 2022

Who tries to sell you a life insurance policy. Do your research. Unfortunately, the internet wasn't available when we bought a life insurance policy. Remember they want to make a sale they aren't looking out for you. I told our agent we couldn't afford another life insurance policy. He came up with a plan using childhood policy of mine to buy a policy for my husband. I had an additional policy so I thought it was a good idea. I was told the cash value would buy a policy for my husband which will eventually end.

I wouldn't have to pay the premium for my husband's policy. He also said at that time my original policy would start to increase. It was a loan and the dividends was paying for the new policy. What he didn't tell you is your policy may not cover the cost and the policy could end. When the policy ends you then have to pay taxes on that loan... Today in this world you have to be an expert in everything. Can't trust anybody. You think an agent is advising but he is there just for himself and a sale. No one I knew back then knew insurance to ask. I believed what he said. He told me my sister signed up for the same, only to find out although he used the same words as he used for me he actually set hers up in a much better way. Met Life was my parents, aunts and uncles, grandparent's life insurance co. I had the same agent as my parents. When my children became adults I told them Met Life is not the co. to use when buying life insurance.

Reviewed April 3, 2022

I would never openly choose MetLife. I used MetLife for maternity leave. I was owed the money from January-March. It’s April and I have yet to receive payment and have spent well over 20 hours on the phone with minimal call backs. I was given opposing information regarding my claim countless times. Customer service reps are nice, but for the most part extremely useless is solving any issues. The company has been a nightmare to deal with.

Reviewed March 18, 2022

Do not trust these crooks. My wife took her own life and they denied my payout because it was within their 2 year suicide clause. Nowhere was it stated in my policy that a dependent was part of the clause, only the policy holder. Not until my it was time for a claim did the word "dependent" appear. My wife didn't even know I had this policy on her and they act like I knew she was going to go out and kill herself so I insured her. This is money I could really have used to help pay bills and find a new place to live in this hardship we are all going through. Never again will I shop with Metlife even if it's offered to me for free.

Reviewed Nov. 12, 2021

My dad purchased their whole life insurance 20 years ago. His english is limited and the sales rep coaxed him into buying their insurance policy saying that he wouldn't have to pay the premium after 20 years. Here I am 20 years later and I called numerous time requesting in force ledge with the intention of switch. It tooks 3 months and 5 phone calls to eventually have it emailed to me, even though they legally have to provide the document. The reason? They want it make it very difficult to leave, so they force you to stay not by being a great company but by getting in your way to leave.

Staff

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2021

My mother was gifted a Metlife whole life policy for her 16th birthday in 1943 for the sum of $1000. She recently passed this year. The total value of the policy today is $1526.25, a total appreciation of 52.6% after 78 years! If the policy even kept up with inflation, it would be worth $15,856.07 today! Basically, this amounts to spitting on my mother's grave. These people are crooks, don't deal with them.

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2021

My mom passed away in 2006 but this company MetLife thought that they were smart. When Social Security said that I had $17,000 in their possession they had told me I can wait 10 days and I'm going to send me a letter in the mail telling me how much I have to pay in order to get my insurance. As soon as I waited the 10 days I called them for receive anything and they told me I wasn't eligible anymore. The page that I had found from disappeared. Luckily I copied it before that, they change the date of her death and I never got paid into this day. I'm still fighting it. I would stay away from this company is very terrible. I have to relive my mother's death every single day and I have no idea who to talk to so beware.

Reviewed Oct. 4, 2021

Horrible company, first you are connected to a robot, keeps asking for the same information. After waiting 15 minutes while artificial typing in the background, you are connected to an agent, who does everything in her power to prevent you from cashing out of the policy. Finally you are told that you have wait two weeks to hear from them whether they will allow you to cash out of the policy.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & App

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2021

I lost my copy of my Metropolitan Life insurance policy in a move. With most insurance companies, you can obtain policy information quickly on line. Not MetLife. Their website was down, so I contacted their customer service to obtain a copy of my policy. I was told that I need a pin to access my account. I asked for a pin and was told they have to mail it (not text or email, but send it via U.S. mail). I'm not kidding! I asked them to email a copy of my policy, and was transferred to an unmanned telephone number. Estimated time 5+ business days for the pin. I am watching my mail for a pin to log into my account. Consider this when you are looking for insurance!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Aug. 13, 2021

I had a Metlife life insurance policy since I was a child. Noticed recently that my mother who has passed was my beneficiary. I called them and he sent me a 5 page form to put my kids on the policy. Got their SS numbers, filled out the forms, sent it in. Did not make copies cause this is a simple request, and I shredded their SS numbers. Did I get to do it? No, I get a nasty letter that I had neglected one signature of an uninterested party and supposedly my whole 5 page request was destroyed. And included back to me was a 10 page form!!!! What???? If I die tomorrow, who gets my money?

Luckily, my brother in law said cancel the policy, and get the cash value. Good idea. One of the nice phone guys sent me another 5 page form to fill out. This time I made copies, had a lawyer check it, since I was doing my Will anyway. Then called them back again....Many calls by this time!!! Went thru the form again with the phone guy!!! Wasted many hours of their time and certainly my time!!! Yes, I got the money!!! This could have been so simple.

Reviewed Aug. 4, 2021

I submitted an auto claim which was not looked at till a week later. My car was hit by another car while it was parked in a parking lot. I call and leave messages, nobody call back. Very very bad customer service. If you looking for a piece of mind then MetLife is not your insurance company.

Reviewed May 22, 2021

Summarize go away from this company in UAE. I had Business in my country and need bank account in UAE and RAK bank representative forced me to buy Metlife policy to open account to my company without any Auditing (Blackmail). My question are head office in USA knew what Metlife UAE did and how they sell their policies ???? For years I try contact them to cash back my policy but couldn't reach them then when I moved to Canada I successfully got them and sent them all surrender filled forms. They told me they will deduct 55000 US$ because I not trust them I said ok. They told me they need 10 working days to transfer surrender value then they said they need 3 days to review then they didn't answer my emails since month ???? I need one from the head office contact me. I have all evidences of what I said and I need my money back. I feel stolen. They are cheater.

Reviewed March 31, 2021

MetLife Insurance Helpful Suggestions. I recently had a terrible experience with Metlife (ML) while trying to surrender 3 life ins policies and collect the associated cash values. The issue was finally resolved after 6 Months of extreme frustration. I would like to offer suggestions from my experience that may prove helpful to those having difficulty with ML. Per my case (individual life ins purchased 30 yrs ago by Mother for 3 grandchildren).... ML no longer sells independent life ins policies and will not meet face to face to discuss such policies with anyone, anywhere, at any time. Despite what customer service reps say, ML will only respond via mail and claim delivery may take 15 days. ML will not confirm delivery of or reply to faxes or emails. ML will not return phone calls.

ML rep may or may not offer to mail you the necessary forms which could take a month – BUT you can access the forms immediately at ML self-service here, https://www.metlife.com/support-and-manage/current-customers/individual-life-insurance/self-service/. Call the help # on the form to ensure entries are suitable as forms are not user friendly and will be rejected if not entered a certain way which you won’t know until a letter arrives in mail a month or so later.

Example – How to surrender a life ins policy and collect cash value...For life ins – owner is the purchaser, insured may be someone else (ex. Grandchildren), beneficiaries are specified in policy. When owner dies, ownership automatically transfers to their estate. ML requires court documents from will probate process to identify executor of estate. The executor can then transfer ownership of the policies from the estate to themself by submitting the Absolute Assignment form (see self-service link above). The new policy owner can then surrender the policy and receive cash value by submitting the Full Policy Surrender Request form (see self-service link above).

For best results I strongly recommend accessing the forms from self-service link then fax AND email all necessary forms at the same time (to avoid the month-to-month mailing runaround). Then call customer service to verify receipt. Forms will likely involve dozens of pages with some requiring witness signatures, etc... If dissatisfied with ML service, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and/or your State Corporation Commission. I believe both will intervene with ML on your behalf. Again, these comments are based on my personal experience. If you received better service, great. If you had difficulty like me I hope you find these suggestions helpful. Good Luck !

Reviewed March 8, 2021

My father died January 2 2021. He has a small group life insurance through Ford motor company. It’s 60 days and zero contact from MetLife, unless we call. They said it’s under a internal review. They can’t tell us why or give any timeline. 2 weeks ago they told us they were still looking for paperwork from Ford after we told them we spoke with them. It changed to internal review and they didn’t need anything from us, but can’t tell us what’s going on.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2021

It has been a whole year and Metlife has done everything in their power to make it difficult and eventually impossible to get reimbursed for mental health care my child has received. Unhelpful and DEAF unless I am reviewing them on sites that might affect their bottom line. I am repulsed by the money grubbing revolting priorities this company has. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH. If they can deny you coverage. They will. Even after promising IN writing to cover costs. Horrible horrible service and they only answer or communicate with you in an effort to protect their image...not to actually provide the service for which you have paid.DO NOT GIVE THESE CROOKS MONEY. 0 stars is more like it.

Reviewed Dec. 19, 2020

I have been out of work since September and I have only received one check. MetLife has stalled over and over again. It is now the middle of December and I'm still fighting them. I'm hurt and cannot work and now I have to fight metlife every step of the way. This is not something I should have to worry about. I should only worry about recovery. That is why I have disability insurance to help me if I get sick or hurt and can not work.

Reviewed Dec. 4, 2020

I have had this policy since my daughter was born. Any questions they will answer. I am saving money and if I need to borrow I can. They have an easy dashboard to use and easy to access. I can see who I am invested in.

Reviewed Dec. 3, 2020

I been trying for 6 weeks to process a policy surrender request. It's been sent back because they wouldn't accept an electronic signature, then wouldn't accept a signature that was not in cursive. None of these requirements were specified on the document.

Reviewed Sept. 13, 2020

Metlife has not paid my pension after paying premium for 9 year. They just refused to pay saying due to current situation. For what purpose customer save? Do not promise the amount and Pension if you cannot keep your words. We are also in same current situation.

Reviewed Sept. 4, 2020

It is a long but one time application to fill out and uncomfortably took blood and medical test for my 10 years flat rate of $1 Million life coverage insurance at the age of 53 (till 63). Able to renew every year for ten years at same rate.

Reviewed Aug. 20, 2020

My life insurance policy has been in place for over 30 years. I've received good service from Metlife throughout that time. I was given the choice between a whole life policy, term life policy and universal life policy.

Reviewed July 22, 2020

I broke my ankle. Had disability, accident and hospital insurance through them. I sent in documents error sending a page twice and not sending the correct page. I called to verify and found out my error and resent the document correctly. They needed additional information so I waited and sent them my entire hospital chart. I called to check and they received it and they did. I called back on day 8 of 7-10 days they allow. They told me they never received the page of the document that they advised was missing prior. I had sent the page and verified I received it so I was extremely angry. I spoke with a supervisor who told me I had to send the page so I did stating I was not about to wait an additional 10 days. They kept spouting off about their policy. I told them I wanted this resolved immediately. She told me I would get a call back in 24-48 hours.

I told her that wasn’t acceptable and I would be calling back in 5 minutes and expected to speak with someone to get it resolved today. I called back about 15 minutes later and the apparently only competent representative discovered that I indeed had sent the document in its entirety in June as I had said all along. She said she would email the examiner that information. She was the only one to help me in any way. I have complaints about the phone system also. I had to hang up and recall many times due to a very poor connection. I would be disconnected and only received one call back of five or six disconnected calls. I am asking my employer to seek another carrier.

Robert J

This is may 02, 2024, not anything has changed at metlife policy or inconvenience customer wise. I have STD (Short term disability), and i pay for mass pfml to met life, 8 weeks later, after my injury march 09, 2024, ive recieved $ 1,228.23, thats $200.00 per week, 6 weeks, 1 day.
    They are suppose to be paying $1149.90 for ma pfml, and $700.00 STD per week. Claims manager (Kara) said my claims are both approved, wonder where the checks are?
    Call to my employer tomorrow,
    Mass Crane and Hoist

CoveragePrice

Reviewed June 11, 2020

I have MetLife group accident coverage through my work. I have had to make 2 claims. On both occasions I was told initially that all my medical costs were covered and that the ankle fracture I suffered the first claim would pay a minimum of 1000$. I received a total payout of 335$ for all my medical expenses. They wouldn’t even reimburse my crutches or physical therapy visits like they said they would.

The second time I was assaulted and suffered two fractures in my face. MetLife wouldn’t proceed with the claim unless I gave them the police report which it does not state anywhere in their policy that this is a requirement. It’s accident insurance. It should be covered no matter what. They change their rules to fit their needs and try to find every loophole they can to get out of paying typical insurance company. I had Aflac before and they are 1000% better. A stand up company that honors their agreements. Stay away from MetLife. It isn’t even worth the 3.50$ every two weeks from your paycheck.

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 23, 2020

My mother and I became estranged her last five years here on earth due to her mental illness. My brother and his wife immediately took over and blew through her money. Even making sure he was executor and Power of attorney. I knew she had a life insurance policy. My brother's actions were fishy even after my mother's passing and he put her cremation on his credit card. I called MetLife to inquire. Yes the call center is in another country. However, I had in general questions because I figured both my brother and I were beneficiaries and him being executor I didn't trust I'd see mine.

I broke down mildly and explained my fear to I call him Indonesian Steven. Steven asked me my name and asked if I'd like to make a claim but he couldn't tell me if I was a beneficiary that claims would call me. I was hesitant because I didn't want to disrespect my brother's position. That is when Indonesian Steven said "Let me explain something to you. An executor or power of attorney can surrender (cash out) the policy regardless of the beneficiary. Would you like to file a claim?" Doing a light bulb and yes I did.

Within 2 weeks I had claim forms. I was the only beneficiary. Ha! Yes I got a scathing text from my brother. Less than a month I got my check. This company went to bat for me! Even when my brother screwed up the death cert. Then mailed me a letter saying if I could prove her correct birth year only a year difference I would be entitled to another two hundred dollars. Of course, I wasnt going through the hassle. I am soo very thankful for the claims department and " Indonesian Steven" helping, going to bat for me and getting me money and quickly as they did. I would consider getting a policy but they only offer it through business place of employment. Your heirs will not be let down I promise!!

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed May 1, 2020

I have had a Metlife whole life policy for about 20 years. Would like to discuss options for 1035 exchange or conversion in part to term with surrender. Have made multiple phone calls. Eventually I get someone outside the USA whole struggles with the English language and is unable to answer even the most basic questions. Moreover, the inforce illustrations provided at the beginning were farcically bad. That I am STILL paying premiums to keep this policy going is a bad joke. Horrible product. Horrible service.

Reviewed April 28, 2020

This company insures Kroger employees for their disability. They have been horrible to my friend Hazel and refused to cover her cancer surgery and treatment at the local cancer hospital, which is a Metlife participating facility. This woman is 78 years old and has very little income and now will probably lose her job at Kroger. Shame on you Metlife!

Reviewed April 2, 2020

My father passed away in November 2019. I've been fighting with MetLife since then to pay the life insurance claim. They state that my father made his trust the beneficiary. Problem is, the trust was supposedly made in 1997 and left in the hands of a bank that is no longer in business. Neither myself, my brothers nor my parent's attorney have any memory of this trust. MetLife is refusing to release the funds until they "have done their due diligence" in making sure that this trust is no longer valid. As the trustee, I've sent them an affidavit stating that it is no longer valid, but that didn't matter. We've sent them affidavits stating that we children are the only survivors, but that didn't matter. I call them, every week, and every week it's the same story; "we're trying to get a hold of the bank, but they are not returning our call."

When I ask how long they're going to continue to try, I'm usually told that, if they don't hear this week, then they will "go with what is in front of us". When I call back, the next week, I hear, "Oh, no, we're still trying to a hold of the bank". So, I get back on the merry-go-round and ask, again, how long they're going to try. "Until we're sure we've done our due diligence". I'm told. Speak to you on Monday, I always say. I've had my attorney call them twice. We've offered them indemnity. All of the other accounts my father had paid out long ago. This is the most frustrating company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with and, when this is over, I do not plan to ever deal with them again.

Reviewed March 17, 2020

Our mom died in August 2019, I have never submitted a bad review before but now it is time. She had two life insurance policies for my brother and I. MetLife's competitor pulled through immediately. Metlife, on the other hand, has terrible customer service. My brother and I were sent a check after LONG waits on the phone and a lot of paper work sent in. All of a sudden months later we get a statement that tells us we have $2200 more???? Can we get through the phone lines? NO! I work most hours they are open so have only a short time to do so. I honestly took the day off from work today and I've been on hold for 43min so far. You know 'they are experiencing high call volumes.. This happened EVERY time we had to call them..

Wait, whoa,, A customer service rep finally answered just now & shoot decided he cannot help me. He has to pass me over to another dept! More to come..it has now been 1hr 43min and still on hold 'Jessica' answered and understood my frustration, explained to me that this money is from a stock called Computer Shares that they are affiliated with and she connected me with them.. They claimed they could not hear me and hung up.. Not happy~

CoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 7, 2020

My mom received a letter from MetLife asking about a divorce decree. My dad passed away on 12/20/19 and he was insured with MetLife since 1992. My mom and dad has been together for 50 years and he listed her the beneficiary for his life insurance. My dad never married my mom and had three kids together. On the insurance paperwork, my mom is listed here as his spouse. However it is a problem, on the policy it just have her first name and DOB. They never included my mom last name. No one bother to ask for the last name but has my mom first name, address, and DOB. So now it’s a problem. Then, I was told because on the death certificate he has divorced now we need a divorce decree. I’m confused what one thing have to do with the other. All I know my dad ex wife was remarried with children and don’t even know where she’s located. So how can I get a divorce decree. They got married in the 60s.

We even offered the Will from my dad that is notarized which show my mom as the beneficiary. This insurance is a BIG SCAM. Why when I first file the claim how was the information given to my mom knowing you didn’t have her last name listed as the beneficiary. It seems like anyone can call and retrieve information. Then they told my mom to contact legal. At this point, I don’t know what to do. My mom and dad been together 50 years and wanted to make sure my mom was taking care now it is a slap in the face. A month since the claim filed now it is a problem. It wasn’t a problem when my dad was making payment on time all this years. SHAME ON THEM. I read the reviews about Metlife and did not want to believe it but my family‘s experience confirmed that today.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Jan. 27, 2020

My mother fell and to spend down for Medicaid I had to cash surrender her life insurance, approx $7000. (Her funds have to be lower than $2000). MetLife is the only company that won’t accept my guardianship papers. Every time I send documentation it takes 24-48 hours to “up-load”; via email or fax. Every time I have called it takes telling the entire story AGAIN.

I started the process Jan 2, 2020. Gave my contact info that if there was anything else they need please contact me immediately (phone or email). They sent a letter 2 weeks later saying they did not accept my guardianship papers. I had to set up a new court date and miss more time off work and spend more money to get papers specific that I am allowed to handle the MetLife contract. I get the addl court paperwork Jan 22 and set up a UPS account so they can overnight at my expense. (That’s fine just get it to me before the Medicaid application deadline!). They received paperwork 2 days later. (Jan 24 a Friday). Nothing done.

Mon Jan 27 today they are still processing. 3 calls and no answer saying funds are released. IF they overnight it today I get it Tues, meet with funeral director for an irrevocable funeral contract Wednesday the 28th. If not Mom will not qualify for Medicaid and the nursing home will be owed $11,000. Money she doesn’t have except MetLife has $7000 of it. If you ever have to deal with them in a death it could possibly be easier.

In my situation if you can’t get conservatorship duties specifically spelled out you’re out of luck. Now they tell me they don’t accept UPS so don’t waste your time. Okay just got off the phone. If you have trouble like I have ask to speak to “stateside” during 9-5 eastern standard time. Don’t waste your time in the Philippines. They are friendly but inept and powerless. She actually told me to call Tues January 28 and that us postal mail may be faster. She also said it may not be to me until Friday. The last day my mom is allowed to have any funds in her name. I have to cancel the appointment with the funeral guy - change to Friday. She wants me to call my state Medicaid see if they will accept a letter saying the cash surrender check is processed as of a certain date and that the check is in the mail - will they accept that letter. Will they accept that as proof? If so they will fax said letter. I’m not going to tell you what happens.

Suffice it to say the company is not one that you want to buy life insurance with. I don’t care how many people died and it was easy to get the money. Don’t listen to them. Met has no choice then. But when it comes to special issues like cash surrenders and guardianships etc like mine let my story of stress and woe guide you. Don’t use them.

Reviewed Dec. 31, 2019

“My mother died last April 2019. She left two modest policies for my sister and I. We sent in the claims and death certificates early May. By November they were telling me they needed death certificates. I sent more certificates. Now my sister and I are running out of death certificates - we’ve sent 4 total. Today I got another notice they’re missing the claim forms for the policies. The previous time I spoke to them they had the claim forms and needed death certificates. Now they want new claim forms filled out and mailed. Why are they giving us the runaround? I have no idea. These aren’t $1 million dollar double indemnity claims. They’re a couple thousand dollars. I advise everyone never to get a policy from MetLife, and if you have one, cash it out NOW!”

Price

Reviewed Dec. 10, 2019

Metlife will decline your file unless you are terminal even if you you have a specialist and comprehensive medical test completed. If you are denied on your initial application you would be foolish to not obtain an attorney, it cost you nothing to discuss with an attorney.

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2019

I have had critical and accidental insurance with this company for a yr. When I went on a leave of absence they cancelled my policy without me knowing then went back and took back pay out my check without my authorization twice. I filed a claim with them in Aug 2019 and sad to say my claim is still under review because they keep dropping the ball. I have sent them all the information they need and they keep asking for the same documents over and over. I do not recommend this company to anyone. If you want good supplemental insurance try Aflac. I've heard great things about them. If I could give this company 0 stars I would.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Nov. 29, 2019

I have had auto insurance with Metlife for a little over a year. The rates were competitive so I went with them. Created an online account to have easy access to make changes and make payments. However, their online service is ridiculous. The site is always experiencing technical difficulties and tells you to log in at a later time. If and when you can finally log in, you'll be lucky if you can do anything (i.e. make a payment, make changes to your policy, print id cards, etc.). If you call customer service, be prepared to be on a long hold and have a lot of disconnects. Worse experience I ever had with auto insurance. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I ever had to file a claim. Incompetent, not customer oriented.

Reviewed Nov. 26, 2019

I was in the hospital overnight for chest pains in Aug 2019. We sent a claim into Metlife in September. At first they were very she told me what we needed and I sent it in. I followed up to see if they received it and they did and it will be 7-10 days. Well it is now November and every time we call it's something different. I tell them when I call I can hang up right now, get a new person and they will tell me something different. I don't know why they haven't shut them down yet. I have always had Aflac and they were great. We are going back to Aflac next year.

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2019

I'm a Financial Planner and I have clients who have MetLife / Brighthouse contracts and their customer service is absolutely terrible. I once had to send in a copy of the client's driver's license 4 separate times for them to process the transaction of the funds. Every time I called in, the client and I were told "we never received it". Even though I had confirmation emails of the driver's license being approved. Oh, and you know what they needed the license for? Because their records indicated that the client's last name didn't have an apostrophe meanwhile the paperwork submitted to them did. When I asked the client about it, she said she always spelled her name with an apostrophe and it was a typo on their end.

Long story short, it took us 7 weeks to have the transaction settled because of an apostrophe and lack of communication on MetLife/Brighthouse's end. This was just one issue. I've had multiple issues along the way such as MetLife/Brighthouse requiring additional information from the client but never informing us they needed the info. We only found out when we called in every week. Terrible communication.

Secondly, good luck trying to get a real person on the line to answer any questions you may have regarding a client's contract as the advisor, or the client's contract if they are calling in. Average hold wait time is 15-20 minutes before you can speak to someone and most of the time, we had to get routed to another department for another 15-20 minute hold. A client and I were once on hold for 1 hour and 13 minutes. Yes, that's correct. Holding was so miserable that I checked my phone log to see how long we waited until we spoke to someone. Boy was that a cringing nightmare to remember and mention here.

Lastly, they do a subpar job posting factual information regarding their products for customers to make an informed decision if it is the right fit for them (if they are going at it alone), and even as an advisor, it takes me over an hour every time I need to find additional basic information on a product. Hence why I do not use their products anymore altogether.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 19, 2019

In a weak moment 25 years ago my wife and I purchased a MetLife term life insurance policy from a door to door Metlife salesman who just happened to knock on our door the day we brought my first born home from the hospital. Should have known better then.. Fast forward 25 years my wife passes away in September and on September 10th Metlife received the claim form, death certificate and the policy to the required PO BOX. Then nothing.. no check, no updates and when checking the status constantly put on hold forcing you to go insane listening to the same awful Muzak with the message "we are currently experiencing high call volume" nonsense on a constant loop. No wonder MetLife is financially sound...they don't pay claims timely. 68 days and still waiting...

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2019

My Metlife auto insurance annual premium is due. Metlife switched me to paperless without my consent. I have now tried 4 times to pay my premium through their online payment system. I've tried both Microsoft Edge and Chrome, as well as on an android tablet. Every time I click submit, I get the message "Payment amount must be at least the current amount due but not more than the total premium balance." WTF??? The only payment amount option available on the page is the one with the exact amount I owe, so how can I possibly not be meeting this requirement? Since metlife is notorious for denying claims, you would think they would be great at the only other thing they actually do, taking people's money. What a joke!

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2019

We purchased Metlife Critical Care Insurance thru my wife's employer. In the ad it made it seem like the coverage was broad, even a broken arm was covered it mentioned. Well when we needed it and it was a dud. I am have heart valve replacement surgery, & we are finding out while almost every other critical illness company covers that (some with limits) Metlife does not. Boy do we feel taken for the ride!

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2019

I have been with MetLife for over 9 years, it happen this year my area was hit with hail and damaged my roof. I filed a claim with their response was “if the damage is not visible from the street they don’t approve any repair. “ My neighbors that had submitted claim with other companies got approved and had their roof fixed while I am struggling to have MetLife come up for a second inspection and check the damage. 2 different reliable contractors inspected it and saw the hail damage, shame on you MetLife. You took my money and when I needed you, you failed. Nada **.

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2019

I called to inquire about my policy. Spoke to LUIS in customer service, he got an attitude with me, was very vague in answering my questions and so I kept asking the same questions. I said "I want to know who to contact to help me with my policy" and he hung up on me. Great customer service MetLife.

Staff

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2019

My Mother passed away 2 years ago this month! Still no check. First application I submitted they gave me the "we never received it" line. This is a leftover balance after funeral expenses (under a 1000) but they treat it like it's a Million dollars! I call to hear the same script every time "your application is being processed". That's if I get that far without being disconnected or being asked a whole lot of security questions that the last rep never asked.. seems like they are looking for reasons to dodge me. On their automated machine they wish you their "sincere condolences". No they don't! If you love your loved ones you should look elsewhere for life insurance.

Reviewed Oct. 8, 2019

After using Metlife to assist with bills while going through Breast Cancer treatment. They archived my records online the day after my case ended so I was unable to access it. They reused to email, my full benefit info and said they needed my address and it might take a week or so. They refused to let me speak to a manager and said they would call back in 24 hours. So keep all paperwork in order and don't expect them to be helpful. I am glad my employer pays for this because I would have switched and taken my money elsewhere. So no.

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2019

Our mother passed away on July 27, 2019. Our funeral director failed to process their form for MetLife for 2 weeks, then they submitted their paperwork, and were cut a check on Aug 20. We waited for our check only to be told we would have to fill out a form and send it to MetLife on our own. That all being said, all three siblings forms were submitted by Sept 11. It's Oct 1, and we are still being told we have to wait 45-60 days to expect a check. AND, they are still taking payments from my mother's checking account.

Being on the phone with their outsourced customer service is the worse. They can't answer a question without putting you on hold for 10s of minutes at a time. When asked why the Funeral Parlor was paid in such a short time, their reply was "they had all their paperwork in order". This is embarrassing for an American Company, for us to be left to deal with inept customer service people, and not given any answers. Because of this treatment, I would not advise anyone purchase anything from MetLife if this is how they treat people when they are called upon to do what they've been paid for years to do. Pay out on a Life Insurance Policy.

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2019

I am the executor for my mothers estate. Our MetLife claim situation is not complicated. While MetLife has good financial ratings, their claims customer service is below average. There is no communication from the claims department. We mailed all the necessary claim documents to MetLife, but there was no response such as "we have received your documents" or "we are processing your documents and will contact you once we have finished our review". I called the toll free claims telephone number to check on my claims status, and was on hold waiting for a MetLife associate for over one (1) hour. It has been almost two (2) months since our claims was submitted. Still not a single word from MetLife other than I did get through to an associate over the telephone and was told they indeed have all the documents required. Considering the financial size of MetLife, I would think the claim process would be superior, but its not.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2019

What a horrible experience. MetLife states all over the internet that claims are processed within 7 to 10 days so can someone explain to me why forms that MetLife confirmed receiving still have not been processed as on 9/19/19 and why after calling a second time to check the status, I'm being told it could be another 90 days!!!! Dealing with the loss of a loved one and all the related expenses is hard enough, but if you are under the impression that MetLife will promptly pay you as the designated beneficiary, to help offset any of those expenses despite have provided all the required information, you will be sorely disappointed.

I cannot even begin to understand how they can get away with such horribly, deceptive business practices. I will indeed report them to every available regulatory office that I can and take advantage of every opportunity to tell people the truth about this horrible company. Shame on you MetLife. Why don't you reallocate some of your advertising budget to fully staff your companies so you can live up to all your bogus claims of quick payouts!

Reviewed Sept. 5, 2019

My mother passed away and we filed a claim under her life insurance policy. Valerie with Metlife, confirmed that they received all needed documentation on 8/15/19 and advised me that it would take 7-10 business days to process the claim. I contacted Metlife today (3 weeks later) and spoke with Eileen, who advised that the processing time is 30-60 days. I reviewed my conversation with Valerie with her and Eileen advised that she would send a message to the processing team asking that they expedite the payment. I then asked for a call back within 24 hours, with a status update, to which she replied "they are probably not going to call you back".

I asked if their company did not return calls to their customers and Eileen stated she would ask that they call me back but they probably would not! I am a claims adjuster for an insurance company and have been for 20 years. This kind of customer service is ridiculous, especially when families are already grieving the loss of their loved ones. I would not recommend Metlife to anyone!

Reviewed Sept. 2, 2019

Filed a claim on two life policies 65 days ago and am still waiting. After 4 phone calls and talking to numerous "supervisors" have gotten nowhere. I'm sending a letter to the President and CEO explaining every detail and I am also filing a complaint with the insurance commission of my state. I will never purchase anything from this company nor will I ever recommend it to anyone else!

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2019

My brother passed away, I have been trying for months to collect his MetLife policy, I think they have a call center somewhere outside of the US. They have no idea what they are doing! They keep telling me the system is being updated, they gave me the wrong forms, and never contacted me to tell me. Over two months later, I called and they told me they need another form. I sent the other form, now they tell me another 45-60 days. I think this is some kind of scam!

Customer ServiceStaffProcess

Reviewed Aug. 27, 2019

I set up a savings plan with Metlife (Dubai) and had paid my monthly payments for some years. For financial reasons, I had to close the plan and claim the surrender. The process started well - I was sent forms to fill in which I then had to courier to Metlife (Dubai). This is when things started to go wrong. After hearing nothing from them for a couple of weeks I started to make inquiries. To cut a long story short, I was consistently told that the surrender was being 'processed' and that they would get back to me within 2-5 working days (varied depending on agent I had either called or emailed). They consistently broke this promise and never called me back either despite promising to do so the same or next day.

Every response was a simply copy-paste from their 'customer care' log of phrases. I spent a small fortune having to call them and spent considerable time on both calls and emails. After 6 whole weeks they have finally said that the money is being transferred. Yet to receive a dime at this point in time - we will see. In short, if you value customer care in any way shape or form, then stay away from Metflife (Dubai). They simply could not care less and will try and delay any communications with meaningless responses and broken promises. Never again.

Price

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2019

I recently cancelled mom Dependent Life Insurance with Metlife. The policy was only $5000 but, MetLife increase the policy from 28.00 to 47.00 month. It's not worth this amount of premium. Mom had to go to memory care last month. The expensive for memory care is costly. Now she has no policy that can help with funeral cost when needed. It's a shame our country will allow seniors premiums to increase with age. We need help when we get older not another increase of premium.

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2019

MetLife-DON’T BOTHER! Just like all the other reviews I’ve read, they’re giving me the run-around. Filed my short term disability claim over a month ago. At the point where I’m calling every day because every time I call, something is always missing. They have an excuse for everything. They will leave your claim sitting in “pending” forever until you call and ask what is going on. If I had a choice of where to file this company wouldn’t had even been an option because I had heard horrible things to begin with. Called yesterday, was supposed to hear from my case manager today. No call of course. I’ll be calling once again tomorrow. Typical insurance company-take all your money and then when you need it most-completely absent.

I’m 26 years old with a newborn daughter, bills don’t stop coming and rent is always due, but this company could care less. Please be aware when choosing this company. It’s not worth the stress and time. I will probably never see my money at this point. Best part is when you first file the claim they tell you up to 10 business day.. HA! We’re up to 30+ now and still no sign of a check. And according to these other reviews they will probably tell me one is coming and I’ll never receive it. Overall, horrible horrible company. Not sure what company actually thinks operating this way is acceptable. Please, look elsewhere.

Reviewed Aug. 17, 2019

Both my parents passed within weeks of each other. Found out that mom had a MetLife policy with only dad as beneficiary. Filed the claim and provided copies of all death certificates, wills and trust information as requested. Was told it would take 8 weeks. Called in 8 weeks, was told end of month, end of month was told being expedited. Claim has been expedited 3 times, actually spoke to someone who said she was a supervisor and she assured me she would call me back on Friday. Well guess what, no call and not able to get through to anyone. I was told one time the policy was worth $6000, then less than $5000, and this last call was told that it probably was not even worth $1000. What are they doing? Cashing it in for themselves???

I have all the dates that I have spoken to someone and allegedly the names of people I have spoken to although I don't think the names are real, they seem very reluctant to give out names. No one will give a direct line to contact them for more information and a website I was given to follow up on the claim is nonexistent. In all the dealings I have had with insurance, banks, etc. since my parents passed, MET LIFE IS one MILLION times the ABSOLUTE WORST! I would never purchase ANY kind of insurance from them. If I could give negative 100 stars it would still not be an accurate description of their horrible service.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2019

Just like most other reviewers on this site, if I could give this company a -100 star I would. Mom died May 31, 2019, filed for benefits with MetLife immediately. Have made many phone calls, waiting on hold forever and then get the patented run-around. Our account has been "expedited" several times. Spent a couple hours this morning getting the run-around again. This time the "excuse" is, get this, they have to manually calculate the amount. We just got the July, 2019 statement saying the death benefits were $5800.00. How hard is that to split in half between my brother and I? Needless to say, run-around and lies! AVOID MetLife like the plague!! Hopefully, all involved with this company will eventually get our "legally ours" money.