MetLife Life

MetLife Life Reviews

About MetLife Life

MetLife provides home, auto and health insurance to clients in the United States.

MetLife Life Reviews

Stars Rating

• 5%
  • 9%
  • 6%
  • 1%
  • 79%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MetLife?
    Sales & Marketing

Reviewed April 18, 2024

My dad died in February, it took them two months to pay his burial, on top of that my mom portion was paid out to funeral expenses, we spent numerous months sending in paperwork to them. I advised no one to deal with MetLife. They’re a complete scam. Do your research before going to these people.

Reviewed April 15, 2024

After my sister-in-law passed my 76 year old brother got a $25 check from MetLife payable to her. He called to inform them that she was deceased and they sent forms to transfer benefits to him so that I would be able to cash out. We have sent them everything they asked, several times, and they continue to resend the same forms, asking for the same information. They also are sending the small checks in her name, with which he cannot do nothing except accumulate them. We have talked to a customer service representative and given instructions to send even more forms, which we did. Now we cannot get a human on the phone and the prompts do not apply to his concerns so we just circle and circle on the phone. My family is thoroughly disgusted with the company and the disregard they have for customer-policy holders. Stay away from MetLife.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed April 8, 2024

I am very disappointed even disgusted with the MetLife life insurance. I took out insurance on myself and husband. After my husband passed away unexpectedly, I submitted the claim and received a check for a quarter of what I was to receive. I called about the discrepancy and was told because of his age they reduced the amount. Nowhere in the paperwork was there an age disclaimer. I call MetLife again explaining nowhere in my paperwork could an age limit be found and was told sorry that’s how it is. I told the rep that they need to be upfront with their customers. Now I am stuck with less money to pay for the bills that have been incurred. Buyer beware.

Reviewed April 4, 2024

My company plan just changed over to MetLife for dental cover. My first experience to query a claim was not easy; the customer service representative couldn't help me and suggested that I follow up with the dentist myself.. Wow, I thought that was their job?

CoverageStaff

Reviewed April 3, 2024

This company is corrupt and incompetent. They rip off their loyal customers. Their goal is to make sure they don't communicate policy increases so your policy lapses. NO ACCOUNTABILITY and of course, No United States representatives to speak to.

Profile pic of the author.
    Jim increased rating by 2 stars.
    Customer ServiceStaff
    After a positive interaction with MetLife Life, Jim increased their star rating on March 29, 2024.

Updated review: March 29, 2024

This took awhile to receive, but I finally received the letter I needed today. Thanks MetLife for finally answering my request.

Original Review: March 28, 2024

My family does not have any policies with MetLife, but wanted to write my experience on getting a simple request from them. On March 6th I mailed a request for confirmation that my mother does not have a life insurance policy with Metlife. As per NJ Medicaid, they informed me I need to provide a letter of proof from them stating this information.

The MetLife representative I spoke to on the phone confirmed she does not have a policy, and instructed me to mail a letter of request to the Rhode Island headquarters. I received the signature upon delivery which I used to confirm the letter did arrive earlier this month on March 11th. As of today, I have not received a letter. I need to provide the letter to Medicaid by the end of this month. I have emailed for help several times this entire month but never receive a response. It's like they don't even exist. And now my mother's eligibility for Medicaid is in jeopardy because Metlife did not answer a simple request for a letter. I feel sorry for all of you that do have any kind of products from them because this has got to be one of the worst companies to ever deal with.

Reviewed March 18, 2024

My Mother passed in Nov of 23. I am still waiting for movement on their end. First I was given the wrong email three different times by the Metlife reps. The first wrong email they claimed wasn't even used by them. Now my sensitive documents are just somewhere I guess. Second I have been on the phone for the past 5 months trying to get clarification on Who has my information and what are the next steps. I am currently on hold for the 5th time today as when I explain my situation repeatedly over and over again The met Life reps seem to have a clause in their contract that allows them to simply disconnect the call or hang up on you when they obviously don't want to be bothered or cannot handle the call. Please invest elsewhere this is not what a loved one needs to go through after you pass. Mond you it has been 5 months and I'm still here!!!!

Reviewed March 6, 2024

I have changed my password a million times with MetLife and they won't let me in. I cannot handle how neglectful they have been for me as a customer during this time. I am trying to access my information and no one will help me with Metlife or DPS and my accident happened almost 2 years ago, with nothing back. I have huge medical debt and have been refused treatment through everyone involved and want full reimbursement for what I was told I would get through my plan.

Customer ServiceOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed March 1, 2024

Submitted the claim multiple times over several months. Each time they just mailed a new claim form with no explanation of what was wrong. The claim form has an email address on it but that email address is wrong and doesn’t go anywhere. The claim submission portal on the website doesn’t work. Enroll in the text/email notifications and never got one from any of the ten times I submitted a corrected form. They are terrible. Do not buy anything from these people. All they want is to keep your money after you die and upset your beneficiary. They should be shut down.

Reviewed Feb. 29, 2024

My experience was a close look into how this company handles their clients. My husband passed away 10/23 and I just (2/29/24) received the confirmation and instructions for receiving the payout, which my late husband designated, for our Trust Beneficiary, sadly not giving the full correct name at time of signing. That was corrected with copies of Trust and 5 Statements of Trustee notarized over last 3 mos, then finally called Corporate which moved it along. But they then sent me a letter yesterday asking me to confirm that the "incorrect name originally given" was the correct name. WHAT? Just spent 3 mos fixing it. They do not know what they are doing. Sloppy handling of clients. But I will say they had very considerate kind clerks. I won't do any more business and advise anyone reading this to shop somewhere else for life insurance.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2024

I bought an insurance policy with MetLife about 10 years ago. Then a company called Brighthouse, which has some connection to MetLife took over my policy. They are a complete disaster. Customer service is one of the worst I’ve ever dealt with in any company. I tried to call MetLife who I bought the policy from to complain about this, and they are just as bad. I recommend staying away from both these companies. Absolutely miserable customer service and not responsive.

Customer ServiceStaffProcess

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2024

Have had a life insurance policy with them for over 50 years. According to the policy, it states that if I pay the premium yearly instead of semi-annually, I can save money so I wonder, how much. I start by calling to see how much will I save. Tried calling the agent listed on the policy for over a month but it goes to voice mail only and despite leaving messages, no answer. Tried calling in person but they want my SS # despite giving them everything else, policy number, DOB, address, phone # associated with the account, agent's name who opened the account 50 years ago. I said it's a simple question so no I won't give it.

Said I could email my question but again, no reply. Tried calling 3 more times only to be hung-up on when I wouldn't give SS#. I said it's a simple question that doesn't require my SS#. Fourth time I called, same thing but I said, "If you give me your SS# I'll give you mine." Representative said they don't have SS#'s. Which I figured was a bogus answer.

After giving them requested info, I finally found out that I'll only save $3. All of this aggravation for $3. I said I want to file a complaint and when I asked about the person claiming they don't have a SS#, I was told that this is correct. These representatives do not reside in the United States. So now I've just given my SS# to someone outside the US and have no idea if this info will stay private or be sold and what recourse do I have if it is used for Identity theft or how will I even know. Be aware that these people do not reside in the US and you have no way of knowing if this info will stay secure. This whole process has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this whole company. I now have to get LifeLock or something similar to protect my self. All of this aggravation for a simple answer to a simple question, a lousy $3.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2024

My father passed away a year ago. He had a substantial policy with ML. I call the main number to get info on what to do next. Rep assures me that he will send the forms. The policy was too big to file online. 2, 3 weeks go by, no forms. I call back, they say, "There is no beneficiary listed, so we can't send any forms." I'm like, "Why didn't someone tell me this?" Turns out I can just print the forms off the website, rep never even told me that. Fill out the forms and dig thru my parents records, sure enough, mom is listed. I call the office with the agent listed, "You are on your own, buddy!" is his response.

MetLife tells me to upload the copies, I do. I hear nothing. I call again. "Oh, they have to be in another format". I send them in the format they requested. I hear nothing. I finally send them hard copies of everything via registered mail and ask for email updates. No updates. I ask my attorney, if they can help. They can, but when I mention MetLife they even got wide eyed. I soldier on and finally, with no heads up or anything, the check shows up.

Reviewed Feb. 9, 2024

I filed my claim. My claim was approved. But my first check was 24.04. That’s how much I make in an hour. Still waiting on a callback. This company customer service is shady. You never talk with the right department. I have been patient with this company. Jumped through all the hoops. Got my claimed approved. When it was time to pay they shell out 24.04. I will update when I get a callback. But to approve a claim and still deny me a full check is really a shady company. They play so much cat and mouse games. When they get it right they still drop the ball. Not a 5 star company to me. Sad I have to go through recovery but to see a 24.04 check from approved claim. That was an hour. And I never talked to my case manager. Never got approved letter. But you got 39 hours while I got 1 hour of pay. Seem like they all about themselves and never about the client.

Customer Service

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2024

I asked MetLife for a check to rollover IRA funds to another account. Met Life mistakenly sent a disbursement check and took 10% penalty out. Currently waiting for MetLife to correct their mistake, it has been a week now and after multiple calls I have zero response. I will update after this is resolved.

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2024

My experience with Metlife has been an absolute disaster. Customer service is horrible and their claims department doesn't seem to exist. I filed a claim 3 months ago and can't get any information. I keep letters requesting additional information and they say they're from the claims department, but the things they are requesting don't make sense. When I call for clarification, customer service tells me that the claims department does not have a direct line and will call me back when they can. Callback time averages 3-4 weeks. After numerous back and forth with multiple customer service agents requesting a callback and nobody calling me, I've finally decided to submit a complaint with the North Carolina Department of Insurance. I suggest everyone do the same.

Reviewed Dec. 26, 2023

They lied to me so that they filed it and hadn’t for one month then they took over a month to review the claim that was completely straightforward. Sent the documents in multiple times they never registered. If you’re looking for a life insurance company. This is not your company and the people on the phone are the literal worst!! No one does their job anymore. I’m a 46 year old widow w two little kids, and they could’ve cared last and took their sweet time and not one person told me they were sorry for my husband‘s loss. They have been as awful to deal with Mrs. as my husband‘s company of 25 years Procter and Gamble who totally screwed us over.

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2023

Horrible response and do not exercise their mission or core value statement. I literally just asked the representative, do I need a death certificate to speed up the process. I have been in and out of hospitals for the past year. Multiple specialist to identify exactly what my illness has been. I also have been on disability. I am simply trying to pay my hospital bills and the Metlife team insist they need more paperwork. It is already stressful enough and they don't seem empathize or care. Search for another company, they are absolutely horrible.

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2023

They are unresponsive via phone and mail. Each time that I contact their customer service department, they claim that they are not aware why the request cannot be completed but that is all that they know. This has been happening for five months. They are useless.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2023

First of all, the TCA account? MetLife offers a check. I guess. But nowhere Did I see that and this Tca account is just? I feel really is pushed and broadcasts in big letters. I couldn't find anywhere where you could get a check. This is the worst experience of my life. It's not total control. The draft checks they send you hardly Nobody takes. That was my first problem. And then I finally got a card, a debit card. And when it gets down to 2 fifty, you don't get to use it no more. They close out your account. I waited. I'm still waiting on my check. For the last two fifty four over a month, I'm going through a lot. My dad died, and this has been just mentally exhausting.

I keep calling. They keep saying you know, I gotta wait to 5 to 7 days but it's been 5 to 7 business days. It's been more than Five to 7 business days. I'm hungry. I lost my job. My dad died. They're making it very hard for me to get this 250. It's been mentally and I mean, mentally Frustrating and ridiculous, I'm very disappointed. I definitely don't recommend this product to anybody. I feel like They owe me an apology and I feel like I need to get my money to me and just direct deposit in my bank account. I shouldn't have to wait on that money this supposed to be total control count. I shouldn't have to wait on it one more day. They may be late on bills. And then I think it's no big deal. We'll guess what MetLife? It is a big deal. I need my money, I need it now. I need it today. I don't need to wait one more day and you need to make this right.

Reviewed Oct. 6, 2023

Ever since MetLife switched all of their products to different insurance companies I have had a problem with them. Whenever I mail my payments into the North Carolina office which are loan payments only and is put so on the checks and also across the mail-in statements for the past 2 years ever since they switched the office from New York to North Carolina I have been calling every month and every time I make a payment to them to do a premium payment reversal to a loan payment. I get a different representative each time I call and each time I call they're going to do something about it so I'm told and nothing ever gets done about it.

If they are this hard to get along with and to straighten things out over the telephone and my mail for the past 2 years I don't know what they're going to be like when I die and my husband has to collect from them because he's the beneficiary. Something definitely needs to be done about this problem and also the other problems which I've read on this review from other people who have had difficulty with them. They need to be reported to the insurance commission. And I think I'm going to do that.

This is the lousiest customer service department I have ever spoken with. Most of the time it's a foreigner answering the phone and not an American American. And also their artificial intelligence that goes over all of your personal information with you as soon as you call is ridiculous. It makes me wonder if these people are even in an office or whether they all work from home. Years back I could call customer service and get an actual person and now it is robotic. You cannot bypass the artificial intelligence questions to get to a person. This is disgusting and ridiculous for everybody especially those of grieving families families that are just trying to get through to an agent to report their loved one's death death but this is not my beef.

My beef is that it seems that in North Carolina the people processing the payments seem to be illiterate. How is it you can send your payments for loans and premiums down there and they cannot read. They just process everything as a premium payment and read nothing. I could understand it maybe once or twice a year but for the past 2 years or more this is been happening every month disgusting disgusting disgusting and that's all I have to say about this company.

Reviewed Sept. 6, 2023

My mother passed away, I am a beneficiary and have been unable to get the claim. I have been told everything from there is no record of me being the beneficiary (I supplied the needed documentation), I have been told to fill out a form (which contains false statements which I will not sign and told them why), to they need legal court papers showing that I am the executor of her will (as if that has anything to do with being a beneficiary). I have sent them so much documentation yet they still will not pay. They will not answer my questions, they will only read off of a 'script'. Even the so called supervisors do not give any more information than the person who answered the phone.

Reviewed Sept. 6, 2023

Just wanted to let other people know please do not do business with MetLife. My dad passed away. I'm the beneficiary. Nothing but a runaround so if I see my dad's life insurance policy that he paid for before I die of old age I will be really surprised. Never have I worked with the company that's so crappy. So again please do not go through this company for anything. Read all the reviews. They're all bad.

Reviewed July 28, 2023

I fell and the result was a ruptured disc. They dragged it out wanting more info from the Dr. They got everything they needed, then denied me. With no explanation as to why. Policy says accident. I didn't fall intentionally.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 11, 2023

Do not! I repeat do not invest with Metlife. My policy was through my job so I didn't have a choice. They are horrible at getting your business done. After filling out the necessary documents to get my annuity refund I was told I would get it in 5 to 10 days. Right now, two months later, no refund. I am on hold for another unqualified, unscheduled metlife employment trying to find out what's going on with my situation. Of course I'm getting excuses on why the ball was dropped. Amazing how fast they are to use your money but to get it back. Good Luck!!!

Reviewed May 30, 2023

I file a claim 3 months ago .I provided every document they ask for. Every time I call different representatives give me the runaround. This company is a fraud and don’t like to pay. Nobody never returns my calls like they promise and the supervisor is no better. So disappointed in this insurance company.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed May 19, 2023

MetLife Insurance refused to pay life insurance claim for my Father after he made monthly payments for 50 years of his life until his death. Group # **, Claim # **. I spent 100's of hours filling out forms, same forms 10 times, and many hours on phone talking to Met representatives (49 minutes today), regarding this account. MetLife received the same claim form 5 times from me, death certificates multiple times. Power of Attorney multiple times. MetLife has stolen the benefit that My Father had paid for for 50 years.

MetLife insurance is a Fraudulent Evil Company operating on faith that what you are making monthly payments for will be honored, There is no honesty or honor in MetLife Insurance. MetLife Insurance is pure EVIL! Preying on people with a false commitment that they will fulfill their promise to your heirs, which they will not do! If you are reading this do not purchase life insurance, just put your money in your bank. MetLife is a scam. Check out their 1.0 out of 5 BBB reviews! My Father had no idea those 50 years of MetLife Insurance payments were going to go to MetLife after his death. MetLife Insurance Company is EVIL and a thief. The lowest form of life possible! I hope this review helps someone thinking of purchasing Life Insurance, especially MetLife! Arlan **

Reviewed April 24, 2023

This company is a fraud, I'm reaching out to a news outlet to investigate them. They were suppose to be taking my premium monthly and didn't do it, didn't know it until I received a cancelation letter in the mail.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed April 21, 2023

Policy holder took out $10,000 whole life policy at age 25... borrowed small amount on policy later with dividends on policy covering amounts due on policy for decades. There was no contact by any insurance representative thru the decades with the policy cost being covered by dividends. In 2022 policyholder did not pay heed to a rather insignificant notation on billing that said $316.66 would be needed by 11/2/22.

On 11/14/22 received notice of policy cancellation... called immediately that day requesting the policy be reactivated... Metropolitan representative said should not be a problem... saying that could be done and Metropolitan would contact us for documentation update. We called and sent written request at various times after 11/14/22. We also sent the amount of $316.66 as directed (and an additional $500).

There should’ve been better notice to us about cancellation... should've been live notice before cancellation on 11/2/2022 and live personal contacts from Metropolitan over the decades. There also should’ve been consultation as well of application of policy earnings/dividend funds differently. Somehow undecided by us part of the policy dividends were applied to paid up insurance. Those funds could’ve been applied to loan interest instead of paid up insurance which all was cancelled on 11/2/22. As it is now according to details sent if policy is not reactivated the paid up insurance and the face value are both no longer in force. Payment was easily overlooked when no funds whatsoever had been sent by us for many-many years. We were under the impression that the policy was essentially paid up.

In any case it still does not seem right that we took out a $10,000 policy 59 years before and paid $2,436.76 to Metropolitan, received relatively small amount as a policy loan, dividends paid expense for decades and with us losing the policy and now having a $14,116,76 taxable 1099R gain now at 84 years of age 59 years later! This is crazy ... Why would anyone buy into such a scenario? We should not have obtained this so called life insurance at all. The purported gain can easily translate into a $4,500 additional tax liability as well as additional social security income tax and increased Medicare premiums. This is just nuts!

Ken **

Tacoma, Washington **

Customer Service

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2023

Please do not ever purchase or participate with MetLife Vision. It has taken over 10 or more phone calls to try and submit a claim electronically for reimbursement for a vision plan. This process does not exist and all claims must be submitted via USPO mail. You would think this could be explained and clarified immediately by the representatives.

MetLife Life Company Information