1.43/5
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Mercury Insurance

Mercury Insurance provides property and auto insurance for personal and commercial clients. Mercury is not an InsuraMatch partner. If you want to see quotes from multiple providers, contact InsuraMatch today.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

268 Mercury Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Mercury doubled charged me. When the fraud department called, they stopped payment. Assumed everything was ok. Until received letters on Feb 13, that was dated Feb 8, and Mercury failed to tell that your policy was canceled on Feb 1. Called customer service which was a total lost cause. Their statement is, “So sorry we can’t help you. But if you re-write ($500) or call an agent an re-instate ($600), we will help you,” Already paid you on Feb 1, ($342.64). It’s not my fault you DOUBLED CHARGED me. Why wasn’t I notified about cancellation on Feb 1. “Ma’am we don’t call. We notify by mail.” Two weeks later!!! Worst ever!!! Went with this insurance because of my job. Why?!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I love the latest commercial about the guy that has his car damaged then fixed. They forgot to tell you that you're canceled after it is fixed. I was a customer for 20 years and that is exactly happened to me.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I had Mercury Insurance for many years and liked it for giving a discount if you have a degree in science. However, as the victim of a serious car accident, I have learned that they are the most awful, unethical company imaginable. A woman with Mercury Ins rear-ended me (no braking) on the 405 S in LA, knocking me two lanes over into a truck. My car was totaled, I was almost totaled, and transported by ambulance to an ER. I’ve been in therapy for 8 months. The CHP assessed full liability to the woman with Mercury Ins, the truck driver sued her as well… pictures documented the clear evidence of the crash. Yet Mercury still won’t pay because this woman has the gall to say that rear-ending me at approx 40 mph really wasn’t her fault.

After 8 months, THEIR lawyer took a depo of ME!... and agreed, it was THE WOMAN CRASHER’s fault. Will Mercury finally pay? Nope. They just want to hold onto Mercury money as long as they can, court is next December, 2018 (a year and a half after the crash) - they could care less about the suffering incurred by denying a legitimate claim. It’s really sickening. While I can forgive an accident, I can’t forgive the lying and lack of any ethical principles.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

About a year ago I changed employment causing my annual mileage to drop drastically. I called to provide that information and change my employment. I recently saw a spike on my premium and therefore called to review my policy. I was told that due to the location of residence and the high number of miles, my premium changed. Well, guess what? They changed my employer but no changes on the annual mileage, and I just noticed one year later. Looks like I am now on the market for a new insurance carrier.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My car was backed into in a parking lot damaging the bumper. I was given a list of "recommended" repair shops - none of which had higher than a 2.5 star rating. One could not even make an estimate for 6 weeks (they had 1.5 star rating). Another could see me in two weeks for the estimate but the shop looked like a dump (2,5 star rating though). I tried a third but they were booked for 6 weeks also. I tried to bring it to a shop next to my office but it was not a "recommended" shop and Mercury took three months to "process" the result being that they would not approve the repair as it called for a refurbished bumper and the other shop was going to bondo it.

After going back and forth with Mercury I gave up and took it to the first shop which fixed a 6" section on the bumper and did not replace the broken bumper brackets or paint the full bumper. After refusing to accept the vehicle - got on a three way call with shop and Mercury and the shop admitted that they lied to me about replacing brackets. Mercury did not care and still did not want to repair the damage caused by a broken clip. Mercury agent basically said that it was good enough and so now I have a messed up car with no recourse. Cancelling the company policy and will never use Mercury again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Mercury offers the same coverage as any other company; however, their rates are better and the service is top notch! One telephone call pretty much takes care of everything, and their call center folks are very friendly and knowledgeable. I receive a discount for each year that I go accident/ticket-free. Sadly, I didn't make it this year :( and I've never dealt with anyone that is unpleasant. I used to have Allstate - had them for years; but they must have outsourced their call centers to a foreign country. It was impossible to find anyone with a good command of English the last time I was involved in an accident and had to file a claim; plus, my premiums were ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Got a policy as I needed coverage. The7 agent in Thousand Oaks AIS quoted me one price but when it came to payment it was higher than quoted. Customer service is lacking, so it shows in the way they respond to questions. Not adaptable. They have a pay up clause cause once you find out they are not that good, they want to make sure you pay for "walking their way!" Got AAA full coverage again as they taught me truly "you get what you pay for."

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

Mercury client hit my car on the freeway. Traffic was stopped at the time. It has been a full month since the accident and have received no compensation, a lot of drama, and continued excuses of why they are shirking their fiduciary responsibility in which their client pays for in order to handle this. In my opinion this company is fraudulent in their business practices.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My 2012 Honda Pilot was parked in a parking lot when someone hit it from behind. The driver in a very polite way gave copy of his insurance and driving license. I called the Mercury and reported the Claim, After a week I got a mail asking me to wait, they are going to check with other driver. I called them back as I didn't hear anything in three weeks. The lady, in a very disrespectful attitude told me that "where is your address, I will introduce to a collision center as long as I know at which city do you live". This was the most foolish question. If you did not know my city how did you send me the mail. I took my car to the Cooks Collision and they estimated the damage. After a week I got another email from Mercury; they denies the full or partial payment. They think I have made this story and the damage had been from days back in my car. Now, I mad, can't go to sleep. How such a big company can steal workers money. I am really frustrated.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

My car was hit by a driver insured by Mercury as he backed out from a driveway. I reported to my insurer AAA, who then filed a claim for me. For more than 3 months since the collision Mercury representatives, Elsa ** and Phillis kept saying they were unable to contact the driver who hit my car, despite the fact that I had provided them his driver license, vehicle type, VIN number, insurance card and cell phone telephone. The collision occurred in September 2017, and it's now mid-December. I called every week asking them the status of my claim, they just kept saying they are still trying to contact the driver but refused to tell me how they try to contact him. They also refused to tell me how long I would have to wait. This is completely unbelievable and unacceptable. Worse than dealing with a government agency! I am furious!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Total bait and switch with homeowner's policy. After we agreed upon a price and I called to cancel my prior insurance. They send me a bill raising the price of the policy $253. Stating an issue with roof type and year built on house.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

This is a horrible company. I was hit from behind while stopped at a crosswalk. My car was 2 days old brand new 2018 Camry. The impact caused noise in the dash. We were asking for a diminished value to trade in the car. It has taken 4 weeks to get a price... It is 450.00 dollars... They want us to trade the car in first and then submit a claim. How can we do that not knowing how much this is costing me??? Isn't this crazy!!! It has been 4 mos. in total, back at square 1... Absolutely a horrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I was completely stopped and was back ended into the side of my week old 2018. Didn't even have plates on it. The girl was drunk and parked in a handicapped spot even though she was obviously not handicapped and wasn't allowed to park there. I have gone through everything possible to get this resolved. I have had the pictures taken, a quote done and have been having to make almost daily chiropractor visits. My car is still not fixed and Mercury keeps advising that I just use my own insurance. This company is a joke and shouldn't even be a legal way to carry insurance.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have to say, I don't trust you. My little girl is a huge Tampa Bay Lightning fan, particularly, Tyler Johnson. Imagine her surprise when she sees your promotion for a bobblehead of him? Wow! So my wife and I rush and followed your rules for the promotion to get our Tyler Johnson bobblehead. We filled out the quotes for 2 cars, yes with valid info, yes all the way through to the end, following all the prompts. Though your prices were a little high for us, way higher than what we pay now, we never got the bobblehead. If you can't be trusted to follow through on a simple promotion, how could I ever trust you with a claim when it actually counted? Seriously? Thanks for breaking a little girl's heart too. Awesome. Just in time for the holidays. Ugh I'll be recommending EVERYONE avoid your company at all costs.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We had water damage in the master bath when a shower arm broke. It broke because I adjusted the nozzle to make the water force lighter. UPSTAIRS DAMAGE: The damage was in the master bath shower wall, the master bedroom wall, carpets. And the damage went down one wall and across another wall. DOWNSTAIRS DAMAGE: The ceilings and 4 walls directly below the water damage above, a built in floor-to-ceiling wood pantry, the pantry doors, the adjoining walls around the pantry and wood flooring and baseboards. The adjacent bathroom 3 more walls and ceilings and alcove tiles.

We contacted a local water damage company, Kade, instead of using Mercury's preferred vendor - Servpro. We didn't go with Servpro because they had horrible reviews. The Mercury Insurance inspector came out, did a quick review, left and then came back with a bid that was nowhere near the cost to cover the damages. He would not return phone calls or emails. The Mercury agent refused to use email because he told me: I get 60 emails a day, I can't answer them.

THREE INDEPENDENT BIDS: Everything was done on Mercury's terms. They wanted to wear me out. He processed the claim and came back with zero additional funds. In other words, the total cost would not exceed the deductible. The 3 independent contractors came in between $25,000 to $30,000 of additional damages. For example, Mercury said we could just dry out the carpet upstairs and replace a PORTION of the carpet in the master bedroom. And leave the other existing. Over half the carpet was damaged in there yet they we were supposed to 'cut and paste' some new vs. old. There is no way that carpet would match, let alone be safe.

I know our house very well. One, we've lived in it 37 years. We've remodeled it twice. The second remodel was the 2nd story. We remodeled our house and I worked directly with the architect that took my plans and put them into a rendering. When the Mercury inspector came out, he spent about 30 minutes, if that inspecting our house. Made a quick lap around the house, then BAM, out the door. Then he went back and submitted the claim and came back with his analysis. Our deductible would not be met - based on HIS estimated. He was not using CALIFORNIA LABOR RATES for the subs we need to hire.

There is no way. Materials and labor are higher in CA. We got (3) separate bids like we always do for our work at our building or home. Our independent bids exceed Mercury's by $20,000 to $30,000 for total cost (including deductible). For example, there is no way to rebuild a floor to ceiling solid wood pantry, paint it and replace necessary hardware using California licensed labor. Yet the Mercury bid came in less than $500. I dare any California homeowner to find a licensed contractor with great skills to do that kind of work.

I contacted the supervisor of our inspector at Mercury and he ignored me. Then I contacted the Department of Insurance and they agreed with Mercury. Yet, the rep from the Department of Insurance had NEVER reviewed my case the first time. I know that, because I contacted him again and asked to reopen the claim. The same Dept. of Insurance rep asked me to send him the same documents again because he wasn't aware of some info. I told him the info was in there. He finally admitted that he had not reviewed them in depth. I also submitted the 3 bids for the damages as well as extensive photographs to the Dept. of Insurance. Apparently, The Department of Insurance suggested that Mercury come back out one more time. It took NINE MONTHS before Mercury sent out the agent again.

And guess what they did? The same inspector made a nominal additional payment in order to exceed my deductible. In other words, they would increase my premiums (penalizing) me for going to the Department of Insurance. And pay in excess of the deductible - but just enough to get us off their backs. Not based on the actual cost of the damages. I was advised to contact a lawyer. But why should I have to? The terms of the policy were not met. Mercury dragged its feet - for almost a year. They evaluated the claim again, only at the request of the Department of Insurance.

The second time the inspector came out, he brought his own Mercury contractor. We were all together in the upstairs master bedroom and bathroom same as they inspected the house. But when they came back down, they did not follow us into the kitchen meeting area where we started. Instead, they were having a pow wow down the hall and out of view. After a few minutes, I finally went back to find them WHISPERING. I asked why they needed to whisper and have a private meeting. They got a bit rattled and joined us.

After one year of hassles, the same adjuster said he would resubmit the claim. Even though he was no longer an adjuster. He told me with a smug look: I got promoted. Yep, Mercury promotes those adjusters that drag their feet and get claims lowballed or denied. That's job security for Mercury. Forget about the terms of the policy and the actual damages. We ended up getting addition payment of just under $3000 for our initial claim. That's $20,000-$25,000 less than the repair estimates we got.

Of course our premiums went up: Just over $3,000. So, we were penalized for reopening the claim. Yet our contractors came in with bids well over Mercury's definition of damages. As a final disclaimer: My husband and I own a life and health insurance agency. We do know about insurance. Not, we're not experts in homeowner's insurance but oftentimes, we hear the horror stories of underpaid homeowner's claims.

And finally: the reason why we were so adamant about our claim with Mercury. It wasn't the first time we had damages with them. Just the year before, we had water damage from the upstairs second bathroom. It was Christmastime and the water went down the wall of a downstairs bedroom. We called Mercury and an inspector name Matt came out. He taped off the area he said was damaged and marked it with orange tape, if I recall. It was taped off. Based on his assessment. He estimated the damages to be under $500. Well, turns out the damages were $1,500.00.

A week later, we had guests visiting from Thailand. Half of the closet wall and the adjoining ceiling collapsed. Yep. Fortunately the drywall didn't hit them. We had (3) contractors come out and bid to replace the drywall and paint. The bid came in less than our deductible. That's why we have been so prudent. Mercury lowballed the SCOPE on the first claim. And they did it again on the second claim.

Our deductible was and is: $5,000. When we contacted our agent who sold us the policy for the second claim. The agent OWNS a huge casualty agency. We have mutual insurance related friends. But we've known him for years so he oversaw both claims enough to be dangerous. He said, "Why did you guys get a $5,000 deductible?" We reminded him that he suggested the high deductible. We have plenty of photos that we've taken at the time of the damage as well as the work in progress.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I recently was on an accident, some guy hit my car. I reported it as soon as I got home. Mercury did call the next day. She said she could not get a hold of the other guy's insurance company or the guy who hit me. She wasn’t concerned about me or anything, I hung up with her. I called Geico his insurance company, They were so polite. How did I get a hold of them right after she called?? Geico told me the guy already admitted he was at fault. They set me up with a rent a car and I took my car to a shop, I didn’t hear back from Mercury until a week later saying do I want to take it in or do I need them really. My car had already been in the shop. I got it back two days after she called, This is my second time dealing with them. I will be changing to Geico ASAP. Don’t use Mercury. You will be sorry!!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We ended up being hit by a car right on our front bumper driving our Toyota Corolla. We drove the car home after accident. One of the appraisers from Mercury came out to look at It and said it was not totaled so we can be fixed. Six days later we get a call from Natalie Extension **. Natalie says, "I know you haven't spoken to me before I've been out. We really need to get this taken care of because you're in a rental car???" I said, "Yes ma'am. I've been calling the insurance company from the other driver but they're not answering." She said, "You need to find somewhere for us to take the car now while we're on the phone because if I hang up the phone I'm going to have to close your case." I said, "OK let me call my husband because he wanted to send it to Toyota." She then said, "Do they fix the cars?" I said, "I don't know. Let me look it up." She said, "Hold up. Give me the number. I'll call your husband."

She said she tried to call and he didn't answer the phone so I was like I don't know what to do (mind me I'm in pain). She said, "Whatever you need to do it needs to be done before I hang up." She started telling me about two companies they was affiliated with them. I said, "What are their names so I can look it up." She said, "We don't have that time. Once I hang up I'm going to close the case." To make a long story short I trusted them to take my car to the shop. Not even three days later I get a phone call saying that I need to come and grab my things.

Mercury stole my car. They claimed it was totaled. My husband looked on his phone for the sixth and she never called him while he was at work. I called and spoke to Mr. Mike ** and he basically made me feel like I did something wrong. I've been having full coverage hundred dollar deductible forever and with Mercury. It's so not worth it. Natalie stole my car right up under me and there's nothing I can do. I feel betrayed. I have not signed any papers whatsoever for them to total out my car.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

So I recently got into an accident 1 day ago on October 8th. The agent I originally spoke to about my accident approved my claim and ordered a tow truck company to pick up my vehicle to take it to the Mercury collisions center. The next day I get a phone call from Rebecca ** around 1 pm and from the start it seemed like an interrogation to find a reason not to honor my claim. She didn't bother to ask me how I was doing or if I was okay. She did ask me if I hit someone else, how many people I had with me and even questioned if I was on the policy, and then asked me if was using the vehicle for work. She did tell me I don't get a rental car.

So I explained to her that the accident occurred while I was delivering groceries to an elderly lady because that's what I do on the weekends. Because I get compensated for charity work I guess they can't honor my claim. As soon as I mentioned delivering groceries she said she'll have to talk to her supervisor Crystal because she's pretty sure I'm not covered while working. I was a little confused as she hung up. I tried calling her on two different occasions at 2:30 pm and 4 pm but she didn't answer. I left a message with her and her supervisor but received no callback or anything. We'll see what happens tomorrow and we're skeptical about continuing to hold insurance with mercury. It was ugly feeling after being in an accident and it got even uglier knowing that they treat their customers this way. I wish I would've saw these reviews earlier because I'm obviously not the only person they've done this to.

An update after I received a phone call today 10/10/2017 almost 24 hours after speaking with Rebecca ** she called me back. First thing she says is "I need a recorded statement saying you were working". Really? I've given two statements and I have no need to move further with another statement so you can fabricate some story to get you out of honoring my policy and claim. I then began to tell her that I don't want another phone call from you until you have an answer for in regards to my claim. So she hung up. Let's see what happens now.

An update on 10/11/2017 - Okay so I took the initiative to contact the corporate office because I wasn't getting anywhere and Rebecca ** she is never in the office to answer the phone or she's screening her calls. The representative from the corporate office called Crystal the supervisor whom I left a message for and never got a return call until now. She was a little more polite than Rebecca ** but it's very difficult to tell if she's being genuine or just trying to get me off her back. She said she's still waiting for her manager to make a decision on my claim and explained to me that she would keep me posted. She later called me back towards the end of the day to tell me she still didn't get any feedback from her manager. So as of now we have gotten nowhere and are now going on to day 4. Let's see what happens now.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Notice there is nothing in between 1 star reviews and 5 stars? Most likely because the 5 stars are fake... This is my second time dealing with this company, and they are just as bad as a few years ago. Stay away from doing business with this company...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Stay away from this company. All they do is collect your premiums and if you get into an accident like my son did they conveniently denied the claim and refused to pay anything. I have tried to call them several times and they never answer their phones or even have the courtesy of returning my calls to discuss the claim.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

MERCURY Insurance company is horrible!!! I was with them for a few years, for my house and car. They kept raising my fees for no reason, I never submitted a claim with them. Then they came to my house and saw 4 Chihuahua in my yard, and dropped me just like that, left me without insurance. I was paying $347.00 for my guesthouse. I changed my insurance and am paying 1/2 the cost for house insurance same coverage. Not learning from the 1st time I got screwed by them, I got a business account for auto, the only reason was because it was cheap, you get what you pay for. I had this account for 3+ years, got into my 1st accident. They denied coverage...

The kicker is I had talked to 4 people there, all of 1 were RUDE, they got belligerent when I told them I wish I would have investigated because they only have 1*. The truth hurts!!! She says "JD POWERS WE ARE 4****." LIE!!! I looked these girls are suppose to be managers. "WOW" CUSTOMER SERVICE THERE IS NONE. I give my business to these people... I can’t wait to go with another insurance carrier.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I was assigned an agent for the entire process. They didn't send me to different people. I picked the repair shop and rental car company. The process was completed over the phone. There were no surprises as to cost or coverage. After filing a claim the repairs to my vehicle and obtaining a rental car all went very smoothly and in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

We unfortunately had another person hit our vehicle in a parking lot that did not leave a note. So, I called Mercury and turned in a claim and got an estimate, a local body shop that I like and trust, which happened to be one of their approved vendors in town. The adjuster was very kind and efficient which you hope for when buying insurance. Anyhow the problem was quickly resolved with the body shop and the adjuster quickly paid them and was back into my vehicle in a few days' time. My only complaint is towards that person who decided to be selfish and drove away, I wish I could file a complaint against them. But since I can't I wanted to take a moment to thank my insurance company, thanks Mercury.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I got into a car accident 6 weeks ago, I was rear ended. I have Mercury Insurance and the person at fault has Mercury Insurance as well, even though I was not at fault of the accident they made me wait 6 weeks to have my car totaled. They refused to give me a rental and I have not even received my check for the damages even though I was not at fault. I paid for a rental out of pocket and they refuse to reimburse me. This is a horrible company.

Original review: June 23, 2017

After 10 yrs with Mercury and no claims, another person severely damaged my car while I was inside shopping at our local grocery store. The damage was all along the driver side of my car, the impact of her Mercedes moved my car and damaged the door on the passenger side. The other drivers tail light was left embedded into my car. The driver waited and had me paged inside the store. To make a long story short, Mercury handled the whole transaction - or so I thought. I had to return the car since the passenger side was not completed. In fact it was never marked by either Insurance Investigator - the other being Allstate.I was told by Mercury to prepay the additional car rental for the passenger side repair, and I would get reimbursed.

Well 324.00 later and 15 months later and I am still waiting for reimbursement. Meanwhile I canceled Mercury, wrote to them 4 times, wrote to Allstate as well as the Insurance Commissioner. Mercury kept blaming Allstate for the long wait. Allstate never responded to my correspondence and the Insurance Commissioner's office wrote to me that Mercury was working on it and awaiting response from Allstate. Here I am 15 months later still out $324.00 and I am on Social Security.

One month after the 2nd repair I went to Jiffy Lube for my regular oil change and was told I had an oil leak. I told them what happened and the suggestion was that the impact of the Mercedes moving my car up on the shopping cart railing could have done it, since they knew I never had an oil leak prior. Plus her tail lights were embedded into and below the drivers side of the car. I do not have the money to pay for more car rentals and not get reimbursed. The Allstate Claims Adjuster came to take photos of the car and the first thing he did is to remove the taillight before taking the photos. I made him aware of it and he told me that would not make any difference. But I had taken photos prior to him arriving. When the Allstate people phoned me for a report she told me they have to report this to the DMV, I told them it was ok since I was not in fault. Recently I found out that this has not been reported. All I really care about is the monies owed to me.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Anytime I have to make a chance or call regarding my policy, I have to wait 30 minutes on the phone before getting to someone. The online platform only allows you to make payments and that's IT. To make any changes you have to go through the most inconvenient of back and forth calling, transferring, etc just to make a simple change. It's overpriced. I was quoted $260 in the beginning after putting down $500 down payment to later be charged $360 with them saying they misquoted me at first. I've paid more for this car insurance than any other car insurance I've ever had.

Original review: June 16, 2017

My husband has had them for 15 years. We let my daughter's boyfriend use our address and a few months later they added him without permission. He only used the address so he could fly back up to Washington state where he's from. We have been trying for 3 months to remove his name and they won't. They wanted a driver's license proving he's not at our address. Done. Now car registration and his insurance. He doesn't own a car. We live in Florida not Washington! He can't be in 2 states at the same time. Meanwhile they are charging more than double what we paid before. So had to cancel the policy.

Original review: June 15, 2017

On 5/26/2017 I was sideswiped and it was a hit and run. My vehicle was towed to 1st Certified Collision Center in Riverside, CA 92501. The vehicle was scheduled to be completed June 9th. But I was notified that my vehicle failed the alignment inspection and they had to reorder parts. This caused an alarm in my mind so I notified who I thought was my claims adjuster Angel **, but come to find out he was not. I was told by the body shop that my vehicle would be done on Monday. I didn't get a call until about 3 p.m. that my vehicle would be done at 5 p.m. I was told by Angel who is in fact Mercury's rental agent that I was allowed to pick it up the next morning.

So Tuesday June 13th at 9:45 am as they drove my vehicle out the first thing I noticed while I was inside the office, was that my vehicle is making a noise, my vehicle has never made that noise before. I made sure to tell the gentleman ** (from 1st Certified). I also called Angel and let him know that I did not feel comfortable taking my vehicle. I was very apprehensive and I did mention to him the only peace of mind I have is the fact that I am getting a second opinion scheduled Wednesday 14th at Volkswagen dealership. I took my vehicle in Volkswagen for a safety test the alignment for the front tires did not pass. It failed the alignment test. They also were able to find out where that noise was coming from and it was coming from something called the pulley that they stated they would have to replace now. This job alone would cost 800 plus dollars and the alignment would be $109.

I called Angel right away let him know the situation and he informed me that he is not my claim adjuster. Mind you I've been talking to this man off and on since my vehicle is in the shop so I assumed he was my claim adjuster. My previous agent Robert who I first initially signed up with Mercury Insurance with informed me to call his partner ** who is currently handling my policy. At this point I will not lie I am 100% irate, a 100% pissed off, a 100% frustrated. Joe asked me to calm down at this point. I told him I cannot calm down. He stated he will contact my claim adjuster who is **. This is the first time I hear of **. Again I will not lie, he probably did call me on the day of the accident after everything was taken care of. He did not set everything in motion.

Another agent started the procedure so if he called me it was to tell me that he received that information and that he was my claims adjuster I cannot recall I was just in the accident. ** wants to take my vehicle back to the body shop that falsely handed my vehicle over back to me with the impression that it had pass alignment inspection. I have the paperwork to prove it. I also have paperwork to prove that VW ran the alignment inspection and my vehicle failed. ** was rude and unprofessional speaking to me as if I was a family member, basically calling me a liar and telling me I did not need to involve Robert who I felt comfortable with, who was as I stated previously my agent and who also gave me permission to contact him if I needed any assistance. I have tried to call Mercury to file a complaint and was unsuccessful. As a paying customer this company has not protected my best interest or my safety.

My vehicle in the long run can suffer more issues with the tires being unaligned and that noise coming from my vehicle that was never there before, I did leave out the fact that I had to speak to a Sam ** who I was on the phone with for over an hour while I was at the Volkswagen dealership. Explain to him the situation he told me that the pulley issue was a maintenance issue which in fact is not true and basically said I had to pay out of pocket for that, he also spoke to the consultant that helped me at Volkswagen, he spoke to the mechanic at Volkswagen all on my cellphone and still did not give me any options to help me as a customer. I am exhausted and would appreciate if Mercury corrected the situation.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I was with Mercury for many years. I liked the insurance group/broker that handled my policy. But, in 2016 I had my first (at fault) accident after 45 years of no accidents or claims. I had over $90,000 in medical expenses for my injuries, no one hurt in truck that hit me, however Mercury didn't have to pay for medical, only $3700 for my totaled car and repairs to the truck. I got 1 point for the accident and Mercury raised my insurance $200/yr for the accident and penalized me for driving more than 2000 miles in a year in the used replacement car. I was told ALL insurances in California were raising their rates. I reduced coverage to PL/PD and will be leaving California before end of year. Sick to death of high gas prices, annual registration rates, insane insurance rates and an idiot governor who wants to make California a sanctuary state.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have been with Mercury for over 12 years and always feel confident that any issue I have related to my coverage or any issues that arise will be dealt with quickly and problems will be few and far between. There is a lot of cars on our roads today and stuff happens. Driving can also be stressful but knowing that should anything come up I don't need to worry about how it will play out. It's all good from where I'm sitting. Same with my home. Their claims process is always attentive with speedy replies and a fast and fair resolution.

Mercury Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mercury Insurance is a company that has been providing customers with auto insurance policies since 1962. Mercury also offers renters insurance, mechanical equipment insurance and more.

• Savable quotes: Mercury Insurance offers customers the ability to save online quotes, so they can take time to think or shop around and still receive the same rate they were first quoted.

• Trustworthy: Forbes Magazine has rated Mercury one of the most trustable auto insurance companies in the country.

• Discount options: The company offers drivers a wide range of discount options, including multicar discounts, discounts for anti-theft devices and discounts for students that get good grades.

• Repair guarantee: If customers choose a Mercury-authorized repair shop, Mercury will guarantee the repair for as long as an owner possesses the vehicle.

• Mobile app: The company offers policyholders access to a mobile app through which they can view info about their account and pay bills.

• Best for: Student drivers, new drivers and drivers who recently purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Mercury Insurance Company Information

www.mercuryinsurance.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use