Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.98/5

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Mercury Insurance provides property and auto insurance for personal and commercial clients. Mercury is an InsuraMatch verified partner which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. If you want to see quotes from multiple providers, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many customers have been with Mercury for years, some more than a decade or two. The company has many happy reviewers that discuss competitive prices and fast claims processing. Mercury offers other types of insurance as well, such as home insurance.

PROS

• Offers other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Local offices and agents available
  • Low cost
  • Can sign up online or over the phone
  • Offers mobile ID card

CONS

• Repairs can take longer than expected
  • Time limit on rental car benefits

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

381 Mercury Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 22, 2019

An insured Mercury Insurance driver sideswipes my car that was briefly parked in a shopping center parking lot. I provide detailed pictures of the incident, including where her car was parked next to mine (within inches of my car with the front wheels sharply turned away from mine). Orange markings on her car correspond to the exact height of orange markings on my car (paint/primer transfer). I could go on and on here with proof, but the other driver denies hitting my car. I went to an auto body shop they recommended also to document. I also made a report with my own insurance company, who concluded the other driver was 100% at fault. I would prefer to collect from the other driver's insurance for a variety of reasons, but it looks like I'll need to collect from my own. How is it that two insurance companies come to the exact opposite conclusion? Anyway, avoid Mercury Insurance at all costs.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Don't even try to cancel your policy. It's harder than pulling teeth. The model they use is you sign up with insurance through the parent company "Mercury Insurance" and once you have your policy, they assign you to a local Agent. The local Agent IS NOT MERCURY. They are privately owned insurance companies. Dealing with the local insurance agent is a NIGHTMARE! It almost seems like they work out of a basement at their parents' house. The runaround and headaches with trying to do anything with your policy is an absolute nightmare! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS... Spend the extra $50 and go with ANY OTHER insurance company. DISASTER they are!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2019

They go way out of their way to help you not only with coverage but support when you need it. The rates are fair. My agent is so wonderful. Insuraide. They make you feel like they are their only customer.

Original review: June 27, 2019

So my vehicle was involved in an accident early May of this year. I filed a claim and was okay with Mercury not paying for any damages or covering the cost on MY vehicle because the driver was not under my insurance policy. Totally acceptable and I agreed with that. 2 weeks later I receive a call from Enterprise saying Mercury had put in a request for me to get a rental due to the loss my car. I confirmed with them that it was true and was told it was and that it would be covered $30/day. I agreed and picked up the car two days later than when I was first notified.

A week and a half in, I receive a call from Enterprise telling me that Mercury had rejected the claim they had put in for me to get this car and that I would have to pay out of pocket. I was pissed of course and called Mercury asking them the deal. I finally got a response from Tomm ** who told me, "Oh we assumed you knew it wasn't covered after we said your car wasn't covered". You assumed I knew? When the rental is calling me 2 weeks after the fact you told me my car wasn't covered but didn't decide to mention the fact of the rental policy. The managers are STRAIGHT UP RUDE as is already and are trying to say I'm taking advantage of a situation that I now might have to pay $700 out of my own pocket?! I have proof from the rental where they have on paper stating Mercury called in this rental for me which they are trying to claim they never did. Should never get insurance from here or trust people who owe 27 million for defrauding people.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I’m so beyond disappointed on how Mercury is handling my claim. One of their claim holders ran a stop sign and slammed into my brand new vehicle. Being my only vehicle it has cause me so much hardship and out of pocket expenses that they have prolonged and are trying to find ever reason not to cover. The police report puts their driver at fault. I don’t know what else they need to know. They need to cover this accident. My accident was 03/08/2019 and still nothing to be resolved... After reading hundreds of reviews this seems to be their MO. Something has to be done about this. Mercury cannot be doing this to innocent individuals who have had their lives turned upside down due to one of their claim holder's negligence... I will not stop till I have this company audited for the elongated waiting times they make people for a settlement. All I want is to be reimbursed for my out of pocket expenses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 6, 2019

I am changing insurance companies after being with Mercury Insurance for years and have never made claim. My son had an accident and the response from our agent assigned to the case was very poor. Poor response, communication and very poor advocacy. We were the only ones who took any pictures and had a witness.

So the other insurance company, Allstate contacted us within hours, advocating for their client. We called our agent Mercury over 20 times in three days, no response, when we finally did get through on the 4th day she said sorry, she was out. She said wanted to talk to our son, who was in school. She said she would be in until 4:45 pm. We called at 3:45 pm for every 15 minutes, no answer, nor forwarding phone. Then she called the next day during school and said, well the other person said it was our son's fault and she seemed rushed, ready to close it out and just settle, determine that from the go get.

We said we had a witness who contradicted the other driver. The witness told us she had not talked to him and then this morning she called and in a rush said she determined it was 100% our son's fault and when what did she base this one. She really did not have an explanation. She just wanted to move on to her next case. So we will switch insurance companies as this is incompetent, no advocacy and will only cost us more $s and if you really need help from your insurance company you will not get it with Mercury.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I hate this company! I was told by a customer service rep to go and get a certified copy of my DMV report and submit it to them... Total waste of time!!!! Waiting in line, paying for the report, and wasting my time faxing it to them just to find out it’s nothing they can do about it! I wouldn’t recommend this overpriced company to anyone. Their reps have absolutely no knowledge of the things they are telling you... Bad customer service and a waste of my time. I am definitely looking for another company today!!!

Original review: April 25, 2019

My mother is elderly 83 years old, I have to assist her with her affairs, including business. She’s had Mercury for a number of years. Never had to file a claim, until December 2018. She was not at fault for the accident. Unfortunately, was referred to a terrible health clinic for treatment. To date, the claim has not been settled because the clinic has basically closed down, and Mercury insists they can’t give her more than $1,000.00 because she has no proof of medical treatment. Before the clinic closed, they provided proof her visitations. They didn’t provide the actual records showing the type of treatment or costs. I don’t know why it should matter, they know she went several times. Ultimately, my mom will be responsible for her medical bills. As well as any continued pain or suffering.

I actually asked to speak with a supervisor. The claim adjuster, Kristie referred me to Gina ** who was the most rude person I’ve ever had the displeasure of speaking with. She accused us of falsifying the treatment ledger for my mom. How insulting! This company provided horrific customer service. These people shouldn’t even be employed in a customer service capacity. After my mom finally does settle her claim, she’s taking her business to AAA.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My active claim with date of loss, 12/20/2018 is going on 3 months for a minor accident where I am the victim. The Mercury claims associate who was assigned to me has not resolved or given me any updates for my claim unless I call him about it. He then states he sent me an email on 3/1/2019 which I didnt get and stated we have to wait for Formosa Insurance to respond. He then quickly gave me the Formosa Insurance information so I can make a call doing his job, stating he cannot call everyday on this issue.

Obviously no one can call every day, but is this how Mercury Insurance teaches their associates to speak to and treat their clients? Try not paying your monthly premiums and see how quickly you will be contacted. I filed a complaint with Mercury requesting contact from a supervisor who understands customer service and how to resolve this matter. Also to prove customer satisfaction comments are actually read and responded to. I have yet to be contacted.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Will not call back. Horrible customer service. Seriously leaving us with an undrivable car. Will not answer about a rental car. They said they will get back in 24 hours, 5 days later they will talk to you.

Mercury Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mercury Insurance is a company that has been providing customers with auto insurance policies since 1962. Mercury also offers renters insurance, mechanical equipment insurance and more.

• Savable quotes: Mercury Insurance offers customers the ability to save online quotes, so they can take time to think or shop around and still receive the same rate they were first quoted.

• Trustworthy: Forbes Magazine has rated Mercury one of the most trustable auto insurance companies in the country.

• Discount options: The company offers drivers a wide range of discount options, including multicar discounts, discounts for anti-theft devices and discounts for students that get good grades.

• Repair guarantee: If customers choose a Mercury-authorized repair shop, Mercury will guarantee the repair for as long as an owner possesses the vehicle.

• Mobile app: The company offers policyholders access to a mobile app through which they can view info about their account and pay bills.

• Best for: Student drivers, new drivers and drivers who recently purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky