2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.97/5

Mercury Insurance provides property and auto insurance for personal and commercial clients. Mercury is an InsuraMatch verified partner which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. If you want to see quotes from multiple providers, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many customers have been with Mercury for years, some more than a decade or two. The company has many happy reviewers that discuss competitive prices and fast claims processing. Mercury offers other types of insurance as well, such as home insurance.

PROS

• Offers other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Local offices and agents available
  • Low cost
  • Can sign up online or over the phone
  • Offers mobile ID card

CONS

• Repairs can take longer than expected
  • Time limit on rental car benefits
Mercury Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Mercury Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I would like to complement Mercury Auto Insurance co. on their, just incredibly professional, and business like manner, of handling all the details involved of an unfortunate auto accident, that I was involved in. They really took a huge load of preasure off of my shoulders, at an extremely stressful time for me. I really cannot thank them enough!

Paul

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Mercury has provided great service, however the only negative is that they do not provide a rental vehicle during an accident. Otherwise, they’re great. Claims are processed immediately, representatives are always available, and they offer competitive rates.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I have been with Mercury Insurance Company for over 40 years. The last time I received a renewal notice I decided to see if I could get a better price. I checked with Auto Club, Allstate and several other companies. Mercury had the best price for the coverage that I desired.

Original review: April 4, 2020

Today I called you after I made my monthly payment. I explained I lost my job, the car is on the street parked and I am staying home so I was wondering if you were offering any kind of assistance. They offered me to create debt referring the full monthly payment and pay it in 60 days. How? In 2 months, my Debt amount will collected every 15 days. On Google, I notice you have a Total assets of US$5.433 billion (2018) so I was wondering if you want me to use my saving to keep paying you so your profit do not suffer alterations. I was wondering if you need the profit to buy beds for Hospitals or partner with our Governor to help all the undocumented people who pay you and have no access to unemployment. Please advise. I want make sure, during this Crisis, I am paying to the best Company sharing my values.

Original review: April 3, 2020

My car (Porsche) was totaled in an accident that was not my fault and the other driver had no insurance. Although I had full coverage with Mercury Insurance, including uninsured motorist coverage, they would not pay my claim and I got nothing! They were impossible to deal with and I should have taken them to Court but I did not want the hassle. I just bought a new car. They are the worst insurance company out there and not to be trusted.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I’ll start by saying I have been a Mercury Insurance customer since the early 1990’s. I was in an auto accident where I was rear ended. I decided to use my insurance to cover my medical bills. I have heard stories that other people’s insurance will not pay your medical. They give you the run around. I ended up using all my med pay. Instead of helping me out they fought me all the way every penny. I thought there would be loyalty but no. The first person I talked to and emailed my claims to She said, "Yes send me your info and I’ll issue your check." She states the check is being processed. Two weeks go by. I never hear from her again and no check.

I called and she quit and no one can get into her email. I’ll have to resend all my info. So I resend it to another person Noel. He says he needs more info for the claim so I send it to him. I get some money Then he disappears and I get another guy Jack. He was the worst. He decided he’s not going to send me any money. Just kept giving me the run around. I talked to his supervisor and nothing. I finally got a lawyer involved they finally sent me money. It's my own insurance company. It’s horrible that you're in an accident, hurting and You use your insurance company because you think they are on your side and they are not. I will not recommend them to anyone. You're going through pain and suffering then fight with companies like that is awful. Their med pay custom service needs an overhaul.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

When I first got my policy with Mercury, I told them I drive my car very little (<3000miles/year). They wanted proof and told me they would bill me for the higher premium now, and give me a credit if I submit proof later on. Ok, fair enough. Fast forward a few months, when I finally have enough data to prove my low mileage. I submit the proof and they give me a credit, but not for the full difference in price, but a *pro-rated* amount. Since my policy period is more than half over, this means I get back less than half of what I'm due.

Essentially they expect me to provide proof for something that hasn't happened yet, which is obviously impossible. The reasonable thing to do would be either 1) back-date the discount so the full amount is refunded (which, by the way, is what Geico and most other large insurance companies do), 2) charge the premium for the lower mileage now, and scale up the charge if no or contradicting proof is submitted later. As it stands, they're charging me for miles I haven't driven.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I was in the process of moving but not a definite, no big deal. I call the insurance company to notify them of the move to the new address and they immediately processed the information. Policy goes up about forty dollars monthly without them telling me. Later I get the notification. Mind you, they never asked for any documentation on the new address.

Two weeks later and long story short, I tell them I never proceeded to the new address and that I requested for my rate to be reverted back to the original monthly installment. NOW it's a problem, they told me I have to show proof that I'm still living at the original residence and was even told that the reason why I stop the moving process is because I seen the rate go up. Are you serious, even if that was the main reason, what is it to you if I didn't want to move cause I didn't want my insurance to go up. That should make sense to the logical people but to Mercury Insurance, they are just another corporate manipulative scumbags.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

Mercury has great prices, and after a water leak took great care of us. I was so happy with them. Yet I just got a notice they are cancelling me. I guess as long as you don't file a claim, they will take your money. As soon as you cost them any money, they drop you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I TRIED to get car insurance through Mercury Insurance for my wife and my daughter. What MISTAKE that turned out to be!! During our initial call I told the young lady that my daughter had an at fault accident. We were given a quote of $ 241.88 to start with payments of $ 242.83. We called back to give the young lady our information and vehicle vin numbers. We were told that The initial quote was wrong. The NEW quote JUMPED to $ 817 to start. What kind of scam are you running??!!

Mercury Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company sells both auto and home insurance that can be bundled together. The auto insurance is bare-bones and a good choice for those seeking basic, affordable coverage. This company offers coverage in Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Texas and Virginia.

• Coverage and plans: Mercury offers standard insurance necessary to meet state requirements, plus a few add-ons. Its Mercury mechanical protection plan covers certain part failures and acts essentially as an extended auto warranty. Rental car coverage and roadside assistance are two other options.

• Cost: A 42-year-old couple insuring a car can expect to pay about $2,750 a year for car insurance.

• Discounts: Mercury gives discounts for good students, homeowners, anti-theft devices, multivehicle policies and bundling.

• Standout feature: Mercury has ride-share insurance that fills the gap left between traditional auto insurance and ride-share companies’ insurance.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor