Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
3.21/5

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Mercury Insurance provides property and auto insurance for personal and commercial clients. Mercury is an InsuraMatch verified partner which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. If you want to see quotes from multiple providers, contact InsuraMatch today.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

361 Mercury Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Over a month ago I was rear ended by a client of Mercury Insurance. In that month they have done everything they can to stretch out settling the claim even though it was their shop that determined my car was a total loss. I never get a call back. The adjuster missed screen his calls. I always get voice mail till today... I called 25 times in frustration and was told that even though their client opened the claim they have been unable to contact him to get a statement. And without a statement from him... keep in mind I got rear ended... they won't settle.

Meanwhile no car, no money to replace and they are stonewalling me. So I will be retaining a lawyer to sue both parties. Screw them if they think they got all the power. Problem here is it's against everything I was taught growing up to sue. But what choice do I have. Can't believe California doesn't protect us from predators like Mercury Insurance. Of course their quote is low. They don't pay claims. So happy to have USAA wish I would have insured this car full coverage. Won't make that mistake again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had an auto insurance policy with Mercury for nearly two years. Today, I received a letter that my policy had been canceled due to lack of payment. As far as I knew, my account had been on auto-pay and drafting just fine. After reaching out to the company, they informed me that a customer support agent had taken my account off of auto-pay during a previous call. This was not made clear to me and I received no related notifications or warnings before my account was canceled. Mercury refused to reinstate my account (even after I offered to pay the missed payments in full), reduce the remainder they said I owed, or help me in any way whatsoever.

The way Mercury handled this case is insanely irresponsible for an insurance company. Had I been pulled over in the past week or two, I would have lost my car. All because a customer support agent didn't clearly inform me that they were taking me off auto-pay. I had been a consistent customers, fine credit, no accidents, valid licenses, etc. There is no reason on earth I should have been treated this way. If you're ever so unlucky to end up circumstance to a clerical error on Mercury's part, they will do absolutely nothing for you and leave you at risk of driving around without insurance.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I want to point out that my brother lives with me. Owns his own car and has his own insurance. So I was backing out of my garage, over corrected and scrapped my brother's car. Not thinking of anything other than “crap my insurance is gonna go up for a claim” turned in the claim. No big deal right? WRONG. Long story short the adjust came back after an investigation had to be done because Mercury needed to verify if my brother was considered an “insured” and now this crooked company isn’t going to cover to have my brother's car fixed. Even my brother carrier The General didn’t understand their issue. I knew I never should have changed from Nationwide. The “savings” was not worth it!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I recently was involve in an accident (rear ended on the freeway) and not my fault. When I contacted my insurance company (Mercury Insurance) they gave me a claim number and I took my car to a Body Shop for their Appraiser's estimate. After receiving a call from the body shop regarding the estimate, I noticed that they have giving me an estimate with 99% of the parts being "USED" coming from a JUNKYARD rather than using even aftermarket parts. I quickly called my claim adjuster person (Mike **) and left him a message to call me regarding the USED Parts. He never called me back. I finally called an attorney and they told me that Mercury Insurance have asked the Rent a car company to charge me for the rental since I disputed their appraisal estimate. Most insurance companies are rip offs any way you can imagine. This company is the queen of them all.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I recently got into an accident and I filed a police report. The reporting officer told me that our insurance should get the report in about one week. I just called them and they stated, "We won't receive the report in about 3-4 weeks." Yesterday I went to the police department and I was able to get the complete and finished report. They wanted me to fill out the DMV accident form to see how much cost of damage does the car have. I called my agent and I asked if they are going to send someone to come inspect my car to see the cost of repair because I don't know what to do with the DMV form. She stated, "Oh... You can just look at the car and see how much you are going to spend." You don't know how aggravated I was when she told me that but I remained calm on the phone. Overall point is that I am pretty much doing their job in sending them the report and pictures on the damage of my car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I was hit by someone with their insurance. Worst nightmare. Those people are rude and incompetent. Going on months now and still not settled that's why I threw them away years ago. They do everything to pay as little money on your claim as possible. Not even the cost of repair. Always stating that's from normal wear and tear. Uuuggghhh! Wasn't like that before. Your client backed up into me at a high rate of speed and then tried to run on expired tags so they can't claim he was not at fault but they can claim that damages done are not related to accident and try to put it as wear and tear. I am pulling my hair out dealing with these people. They never call you back or answer your calls. Worst company ever.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I’ve been paying for my insurance with Mercury for many years. I’ve avoided countless car accidents and have not had a ticket in over a decade. I’ve probably used about $500 worth of claims for 3 tows and locking my keys in the car. So I’ve paid tens of thousands of dollars to receive $500 worth of service. I get one speeding ticket, just one, 80 in a 55 zone on a backroad to Vegas and Mercury is choosing to ** me by increasing my monthly premium but almost 50%! Yes I take responsibility for my ticket, but for a company I have been loyal to, to turn around and decide they are going to increase my premium that much because they can... it just doesn’t sit well with me. As a customer I feel unappreciated and used for the amount of money I’ve paid over the many years. I highly don’t recommend this company to anyone and will be writing on every site possible to make sure I share my experience.

Almost forgot, I called in to Mercury just to kindly ask for a phone/fax number and or address to their legal department and was told by Katie she wasn’t allowed to give me that information and she was going to transfer me to customer service. Now we all know what happened in customers service right? Long waiting, being transferred from here to there, being “accidentally” hung up on, yeah, no thank you! I asked to speak to her supervisor and her supervisor Kelly was extremely helpful with the information I asked for.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We had been loyal customers without a claim for 6 years. We even used them for our commercial vehicle insurance. When it came time to finally use our coverage when we had a hidden leak behind our kitchen cabinets, they automatically denied our claim because the leak was over two weeks old, even admitting that there was no way we could have know about it sooner. They did nothing to make us feel like we got any type of service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Mercury is beyond HORRIBLE! I rarely take the time to give a review, but this company is terrible! I got a new car, and they charged me to update my policy! Also, my record of an accident from three years ago fell off my record and they refused to update my policy until the end of the six month limit. So they will up your rate for adding a new car, charge you an extra fee for adding that car, then ream you for anything they can, regardless if it fell off your record! I finally canceled my policy because State Farm doesn't play dirty pool like Mercury... AND THEY HAD THE NERVE TO CHARGE ME A CANCELLATION FEE!! To top it off, there is NO ONE you can talk to over there about this. They say it's just their policy and that's the way it goes. So you're not a person in their eyes, just a number. TERRIBLE!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have had Mercury insurance for several years now and fortunately have not needed them until recently. And, since accidents are not something I am usually involved in I do not have comprehensive coverage. I got into an incident recently and the person who hit my car and I have vastly different explanations as to what happened. I was going across a street from an alley onto an alley and was more than halfway across the street when I was hit by a truck. The other driver and I were unhurt and we exchanged insurance and driver's license info. I spoke with Mercury almost immediately to start a claim and was told a claim's adjuster would contact me in the next day or two.

The next afternoon the Mercury insurance adjuster called me Brett **. He asked me to explain what happened and immediately he tells me I am at fault. The problem with that is he was not comprehending what actually happened and where, although I was explaining it simply and precisely. It was on a residential street off a Main Street in Los Angeles I had stopped while in a one way, east to west, alley (heading west). Then proceeded to Cross the residential street to get to the next alley (the entrance to my doctor's parking area is off the alley). The residential street runs North/South, The adjuster Brett kept asking me if I was going north or south. I kept explaining to him that I was heading west, that I was CROSSING the residential street. It took Brett ** more than 20 minutes to understand where my car was going and where.

Initially, when I first Told Brett ** what happened he immediately tells me I am at fault for the incident. This without his understanding of what happened and the details of the situation in actually. After 45 minutes on the phone with Brett, he tells me we do have a case and that once they hear from the other driver's insurance we will need to go to arbitration and that can take a few weeks to schedule. About 10 days after speaking with Brett **, I get a phone message from him saying they are not going to arbitration and that they are citing me as the responsible party. Citing as California Vehicle code. Which I looked up and it states the term highway. Well, we were not anywhere near a highway. Then, when I called Brett ** to discuss the code he cited, he tried to backtrack without further explanation and told me that if I was not going to cut him off and he hung up the phone.

I called back to speak to his claims supervisor a woman named Denise. She was completely defensive from the start and even after she got the damage report from my car and the other driver's car showing that it would have been impossible for me to have hit him as he hit the driver side front quarter panel and the side of the front bumper with the back quarter panel and back wheel of the passenger side of his truck. Then when I told her about the wording of the code cited, she told "a highway can mean any road traveled on". I asked her where on the code record she saw that and could she send it to me at which point I was told by Denise that she wasn't there to send information to me and if I wanted to I could look it up myself and she told me she "has been an adjuster for over 29 years" and that the facts of how each car was impacted didn't matter.

She was completely rude and defensive. And Mercury insurance has been totally unprofessional and not looking out for my best interest or defending the facts of the situation. They would rather not defend their customers and are around to incur as little cost as possible especially when that means defending their client base. SAVE YOURSELF THE AGGRAVATION AND UNPROFESSIONAL ATTITUDE AND GET YOUR INSURANCE ELSEWHERE. They have a medium-low to low rating across the board anyway. And they have earned it.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Mercury Insurance gave me obscene coverage for a very low price. The web app is very clear and easy to navigate. Customer service is good although hardly necessary.

Original review: June 23, 2018

We had Mercury Insurance for all of our cars for many years, I believe more than two decades. We were happy with them for a long time, but things have changed greatly and not for the better. We added on our daughter, a new driver, for coverage, and of course, our rates rose dramatically. We get that. She had two minor accidents. The first one happened in the college parking lot where she tapped a parked car. She waited till the other owner returned to her car because she is honest. The other one involved a lane change that was considered her fault.

But here's what we are so upset over: Early this year she left the country for a study abroad program for 4 months. I called the insurance agent whose been handling our account for years and asked if we could temporarily remove her from coverage. The agent (I won't name her here because of my husband's request) asked me when she would be back. I told her she was booked for a return flight on the 3rd of May and I would let her know when she returned. Didn't seem to be a problem and it saved us over a $1,000 so seemed like the right thing to do.

So the day our daughter returned from England, my husband called to reactivate her under our insurance. We were told that because she had 3 accidents, that we could not. She only had two. They recorded the parking lot incident twice under different days. We could only put her back on if we purchased a special rider costing us over a thousand extra a month which we deemed ridiculous. Although my husband is protective over this agent, she clearly lied, telling him that I said that our daughter would not be back for a year. Why would I have said such a thing? She'd asked for a specific date which I gave her. I'm not sure why this even matters exactly, other than I believe that one of the accidents would have been over three years ago if there's was more time allotted. Anyway, they wouldn't budge on things, so we have left Mercury. For good.

Even before this recent change of events, I was none too happy. About two years ago we donated one of our older cars after purchasing a new used car. I thought it would make our rates go down. Make sense, right? But no, our rates went up. One of the reasons for the rising cost, if I understand correctly, is that they could then assign whichever vehicle they wanted to whichever driver they wanted regardless of which one of us was actually driving each car the most. So naturally, they assigned our highest priced vehicle to our daughter, the highest risk driver in the family, even though she never drives it. We had no say in the matter where in previous years we could declare which one of us drive which. In addition, their rates have just generally gone up.

Anyway, we've now switched to Triple A insurance, and they seem happy to have us. Discovered that they are actually a non-profit of sorts and that there may be a return of some funds at the end of the year. We haven't been on long so I can't speak to that, nor to how good or bad their service really is. There was a hiccup with AAA losing the photos of our vehicles after we brought them in for pictures per AAA's request. It looked like they were going to actually close our account. We had to return for more pictures. So I guess they are not perfect either. Maybe none of these insurance companies are. But I will say that our rates have actually gone down overall with the switch, so maybe it was a good thing that Mercury dropped our daughter.

I still resent the whole way that they did things, though. If they had said that if we suspended her service they would not put her back on without a special rider, then we wouldn't have chosen to do so. I thought that agents were there to help you figure things out and work in both the customer's and the company's best interests. But apparently not. This agent worked only for Mercury's bottom line with no regard to treating their customer's fairly and honestly. I was tricked and unfairly treated!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've been a long time customer of Mercury for both my auto and homeowners policies. I had a slab leak August of last year and finally had to use my homeowners policy. I've had the worst customer service experience one can imagine. Still living with torn up floors and walls. I am extremely dissatisfied!

Original review: June 14, 2018

I tried to get other estimates but nothing came close to Mercury. They have been responsive and timely with claims and their customer service is good. The claims person came to the auto body shop and worked things out with them. I have been with Mercury for over 20 years probably and I have three cars covered.

Original review: May 31, 2018

A client of Mercury Auto Insurance hit my parked car in a parking lot, left a fake business card to make it appear as though he was leaving his information, leading me on a 3 day chase to find him. I obtained a rental car while my car was in the shop being fixed. Out of pocket expenses that I, MYSELF had to pay for insurance on the rental car was $79.96. I spoke with Mercury several times explaining that I should not incur these out of pocket expenses due to THEIR slimeball of a client hitting my car and running. They were uncooperative, non understanding and unwilling to accommodate or help in ANY way, simply saying over and over “we aren’t responsible for gas and insurance on rental vehicles”.

Instead of swallowing their pride, actually being helpful and doing the right thing by paying me the $79.96, which to me is a good chunk of change, but to them is pocket change, I’m here giving fair warning to others who unfortunately have to deal with them. AVOID them at all costs. Unwilling to help, unprofessional and unethical. I currently have a renters insurance policy through Mercury, but will now be seeking a BETTER and more ETHICAL insurance provider ASAP.

Original review: May 24, 2018

When I was searching for auto insurance companies, Mercury was the cheapest at the time. It was years ago. I had no tickets or accidents and they had many incentives for those that had a clean record. But they did not back me up for my accident. They don't fight for you that well. It seemed as though they were just trying to hurry up with the claim and it ended up giving me a point in my record even though I was not found to be at fault.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I liked that they were able to start my policy quickly. The sales person seemed friendly and eager to help with my situation. I handled all of the details by phone and email, which was confident for me, since there was not a local office. There was a lot of going back and forth, but the situation was handled. However my policy was not 30 days old before they sent a letter saying they were gonna be dropping my policy, due to inaccurate documentation. I sent in everything they asked for. They would not keep me as a client, saying they could not verify my address, but I receive mail at the same address! I felt like they just took my money. This company left a really bad taste in my mouth. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They are just taking advantage of people already in a bind. This company is not here to help consumers in any way. Good thing all insurance companies don't do business the same as Mercury.

Original review: May 23, 2018

We have canceled all 3 of our insurance policies with Mercury (2 auto and 1 homeowner's) because of the terrible customer service experience we've had. It's unacceptable that our claim wasn't approved and paid out as it should have been based on the water damage and burst pipe under the crawlspace in our bathroom. I have a high degree of confidence that both your restoration company and your field inspector get incentives from Mercury to deny claims and avoid payouts in cases where damage has been incurred by your customers.

Both of them were taking pictures of areas not even related to burst pipe under the house below my bathroom floor, where the pinhole leak was actually found by the plumber. We had been Mercury customers for 15 years, and saw no appreciation for our loyalty. Good riddance to your shady insurance company. I've given you a 1 star review on Yelp, ConsumerAffairs and other sites and will discourage any of my friends/family from using Mercury Insurance in the future.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was very happy with Mercury Insurance because they had very reasonable rates and they were very easy to deal with. Sometimes I was not able to make my payments on time but the amount of time they gave before terminating my policy was more than fair. I had an outstanding relationship with Mercury Insurance company and my overall experience with them was very good. Making payments was easy and they had the SR22 policy for those who need SR22.

But my insurance agency had a difficult time renewing my auto insurance with Mercury Insurance company. My insurance agent was trying to renew my policy online and Mercury wasn't allowing it. I had Mercury for three years and I hadn't had any traffic incidents or accidents so it was very disappointing when I had to sign with a new company all because my insurance agent was unable to renew my policy this particular time. I really did not want to sign with another insurance company.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I searched online for the lowest rates and a plan that would provide enough coverage to meet my needs. Mercury's rates are fairly low and I also like the amount of coverage that I get for my money. It was easy to sign up too. I would however prefer that they would provide better roadside assistance coverage plans.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Our experience has been wonderful and all needs met efficiently and promptly. I like cost, less expensive and is fully cooperative with clients. Made having an accident an easy experience. They are at the client's beck and call. I would recommend this company to my friends and neighbors.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I purchased Mercury through AIS, it was the cheapest option at the time that covered all the needs I was looking for. Process was easy, I am satisfied. I like the convenience, was able to set up online automatic payments and they have a low deductible for comprehensive coverage. But I don't like that you get charged extra for making payments that are NOT through auto debit. I didn't have bank account, and I don't think you should get penalized for not having a bank account.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Mercury has great rates and the coverage that I need. I like my agent and they are helpful and answer all of my questions that I have. Paying my bill online is simple and easy to use also. However, the rental car coverage should be extended for more than 30 days. The repairs on my car took at least 41 days and the insurance did not cover it so I had to pay out of pocket and the accident was not even my fault.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I spoke with a friend, who recommended his sister. I had been in two accidents in a relatively short period of time. She became my agent and searched for a company that would cover me with my less than perfect record. She suggested Mercury because of their reputation and coverage. It was a very easy process. I gave her my information and just like that I was covered. It was such a relief! The agent took good care of me. The service was good and affordable, and fortunately I was able to clear my record over time. I was then able to get better coverage at a lower rate elsewhere, through my employer. If that hadn't been the case I would have stuck with Mercury.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Being able to contact them directly when we have had claims for accidents has been great. I liked having a direct line to our adjuster. They also handle them quickly so we could get our new car. I like that they have discounts for good drivers, older drivers, and multiple drivers. And they have the option to purchase renter's insurance with our auto insurance plan. However they have raised our rates with each 6 month renewal period without checking to see if life circumstances have changed. And granted it isn't a lot, it still affects our budget.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I was sent to collections when I wasn't even cover for the month that I didn't make a payment for. I couldn't afford the payment at the moment due to hardship times and they just made it even worse.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My driving record isn't the best. Since I am still paying for my car, I am required to keep comprehensive coverage on it and Mercury was the best price for the coverage I needed. Purchasing was very easy. I used a local agent who did all the price comparison shopping for me. Then, all I had to do was sign the paperwork! Since my insurance policy is coming up for renewal, they are checking again to make sure I still have the best price. Recently, I had to file a claim for a small car accident I was in. The adjuster assigned to my claim was never available and she did not return my calls. That's an issue.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I was able to purchase insurance over phone, and received a great deal. Got a better deal when I bought renter's insurance. Mercury seemed very knowledgeable, but once I needed their help, some reps make the process more stressful than need be. Quickly has an adjuster inspect car and immediately helps me get a rental car. But rep never phone backs when stated. Some of the reps seem not to completely understand their job. This has led to car being fixed longer than we were told, extending use of rental, threats of paying more for rental which is their fault and unfair. This can be very frustrating.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Mercury Auto Insurance has affordable prices and seem to be located in area that are convenient to our home and affordable prices. But you don't have to go their offices. My husband set up insurance for our teen daughter over the phone and it was very easy and quick. However, prices recently went up significantly and it is way too expensive. Adding our teenage daughter to the plan made our monthly bill go up by much more than we had anticipated. But I have friends that pay way less!

Original review: May 15, 2018

We shopped around a lot and found Mercury to be our best option. I have been with them for a very long time and will continue my plan with them. My whole family has coverage with this company too. Low cost, they are always very helpful and available. I have never had to wait for a long time on hold. And they are always prompt with service. But dislike minimal coverage. I only have liability so this is mostly just because of my plan. I previously had full coverage on one of my vehicles and it was very good coverage. It wasn't costly like some other companies. Great overall experience.

Mercury Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mercury Insurance is a company that has been providing customers with auto insurance policies since 1962. Mercury also offers renters insurance, mechanical equipment insurance and more.

• Savable quotes: Mercury Insurance offers customers the ability to save online quotes, so they can take time to think or shop around and still receive the same rate they were first quoted.

• Trustworthy: Forbes Magazine has rated Mercury one of the most trustable auto insurance companies in the country.

• Discount options: The company offers drivers a wide range of discount options, including multicar discounts, discounts for anti-theft devices and discounts for students that get good grades.

• Repair guarantee: If customers choose a Mercury-authorized repair shop, Mercury will guarantee the repair for as long as an owner possesses the vehicle.

• Mobile app: The company offers policyholders access to a mobile app through which they can view info about their account and pay bills.

• Best for: Student drivers, new drivers and drivers who recently purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky