2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.00/5

Mercury Insurance provides personal and commercial property and auto coverage at affordable rates. Many of Mercury’s customers have stuck with the company for years, some up to a decade or two, though it services only 11 states. It has several discount opportunities and provides rideshare coverage. The company also offers home insurance and other protection.

BOTTOM LINE

Mercury Insurance provides auto policies, including rideshare coverage. You can’t buy Mercury policies or file claims online; most policy management must be done over the phone. Mercury is available in 11 states.

PROS

• Several discount options
  • Offers rideshare coverage
  • Affordable rates

CONS

• Must file claims by phone
  • Available in just 11 states

Top Mercury Auto Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?

My husband and I have had Mercury Insurance for over 25 years, we have tried to see if any other companies that could beat Mercury’s pricing and none of the companies can… Our rep has been exceptional and have had excellent service for all these years.

I have been with Mercury Insurance Company for over 40 years. The last time I received a renewal notice I decided to see if I could get a better price. I checked with Auto Club, Allstate and several other companies. Mercury had the best price for the coverage that I desired.

Mercury Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Mercury auto insurance?

Mercury has been selling car insurance since 1962. While it’s available in just 11 states, Mercury has a reputation for competitive rates and basic coverage options for new and high-risk drivers alike. You can make claims 24/7 by calling Mercury’s claims hotline — there’s no way to purchase a policy or file a claim through the company’s website. The company does offer an Android mobile app for policy management.

How does Mercury auto insurance work?

Mercury Insurance offers standard auto policies without any bells and whistles. Its basic coverage options include:

• Liability: Covers damage caused to others if you’re at fault for an accident.
  • Collision: Pays for damage to your vehicle, regardless of who’s at fault.
  • Comprehensive: Covers damage caused by vandalism, theft, fire, flood or other non-accident incidents.
  • Medical payments: Helps pay for medical expenses due to a covered accident.
  • Personal injury: Helps cover medical costs and other expenses after an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist: Covers bodily injury for you, your passengers or other drivers of your insured vehicle in case of losses caused by drivers with inadequate or no insurance.

Mercury also has some optional policies, including:

• Rental reimbursement: Helps cover the cost of a rental vehicle while your car is under repair due to a covered loss.
  • Roadside assistance: 24/7 help on the road, including towing, locksmith and flat tire services.
  • Ride-hailing insurance: Protects drivers working for a rideshare company while the ridesharing app is on.

Mercury guarantees repairs for as long as you own your vehicle as long as the work is done at one of its approved shops.

Mercury auto insurance quotes and costs

The cost of your Mercury auto insurance policy will vary depending on a number of factors: which policy you choose, whether you choose add-on coverage, your age, driving history, vehicle, location and more.

Though it’s hard to pinpoint exactly what your cost will be without a quote, Mercury’s monthly auto policy costs tend to average between $55 and $140. The company also offers several discounts for:

• Anti-theft features
  • Autopay
  • E-signature
  • Good drivers
  • Good students
  • Multicar
  • Multipolicy
  • Paying in full

Mercury also has a program called RealDrive that sets your rate based on how many miles you drive. You get a 5% discount just for registering and for the duration of your enrollment in the program.

Mercury Auto Insurance FAQ

Where is Mercury auto insurance available?
Mercury Insurance is available in Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Texas and Virginia.
Does Mercury auto insurance require a credit score?
Mercury Insurance doesn’t make you provide a credit score. That said, none of the states in its service area have banned credit checks for car insurance, so it’s safe to assume the company will check your score.
Where is Mercury Insurance located?
Mercury Insurance is located in Los Angeles. It has local agents in all the states it services.
Who owns Mercury Insurance?
Mercury Insurance was founded in 1961 by George Joseph, who’s still the owner as well as a chairman.

Is Mercury good car insurance?

Mercury Insurance offers standard auto coverage options. The company writes policies in only 11 states, so it’s not accessible for many throughout the U.S.; for those who live in Mercury’s service area, though, it can be an affordable option for basic coverage. Overall, Mercury is a good choice for auto insurance.

Mercury Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Mercury is a well known and established insurance company whose reputation is for truly inexpensive rates for auto insurance. They certainly saved me $1500 annually when I switched from Farmers in 2012. Truly it all depends on driving record, zip code and type of car(s). They do have a rather unfair practice of assuming how many miles you drive and don't inform you as they hike up the rates. When you do catch this you'll need to prove you aren't driving the miles they assume you are. It's kind of shady but when I do catch them and send them service records proving I barely drive my own car they do lower it back to where it should have been. This had occurred 3 times, it's frustrating.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I believe the premium rates are among the lowest in the industry because there have been times I've compared. I have a very good driving record but when I had a collision recently that wasn't at fault, they were very prompt and dependable, and made sure I got the best outcome possible while seeming to care a lot about making sure any injuries I might have received attention and compensation. Their customer service is excellent.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2020

My husband and I have had Mercury Insurance for over 25 years, we have tried to see if any other companies that could beat Mercury’s pricing and none of the companies can. We also have our Homeowners insurance with Mercury. Our rep has been exceptional and have had excellent service for all these years.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I have been with this insurance company more than 10 years and they have always taken great care of me with great service, kindness, professionalism, and have handled all my issues with concern and care.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Customer service is often very difficult to get in touch with. I had roadside assistance included in my bill for years, and then somehow it was taken off and I didn't notice that until I needed their help. When I got in an accident, there was only one person I could talk to, and she would leave me a voicemail and tell me to call her back. When I left a message she never returned my call. This went on for a couple of weeks. I couldn't answer the phone every time it rang because I was at work.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I got rip off from Mercury Insurance. After we agreed on the original price that was $526 for the insurance policy, they jacked up the price to $1293 without the consent or notification. They just sent me the bill and demanded me to pay it. When I fought for the original price of $526, all they did was delaying without making any progress. When I cancelled the policy, they charged me $170 for having the policy for a month, and refunded me $356 only. They are not reliable but only for their gain. I will give them less than zero if I could.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

On October 17th I called for a quote and I was talking to Matthew. He gave me a quote for 1700 for 12 months. I thought this price was wonderful. Then I asked for a quote if add my husband as a driver then he said 4000 for one car. This got to be a joke plus I sent proof that my accident wasn't my fault. So when I called today they said that they can't exclude my husband but he have his own car and insurance.

Original review: April 4, 2020

Today I called you after I made my monthly payment. I explained I lost my job, the car is on the street parked and I am staying home so I was wondering if you were offering any kind of assistance. They offered me to create debt referring the full monthly payment and pay it in 60 days. How? In 2 months, my Debt amount will collected every 15 days. On Google, I notice you have a Total assets of US$5.433 billion (2018) so I was wondering if you want me to use my saving to keep paying you so your profit do not suffer alterations. I was wondering if you need the profit to buy beds for Hospitals or partner with our Governor to help all the undocumented people who pay you and have no access to unemployment. Please advise. I want make sure, during this Crisis, I am paying to the best Company sharing my values.

Original review: April 3, 2020

My car (Porsche) was totaled in an accident that was not my fault and the other driver had no insurance. Although I had full coverage with Mercury Insurance, including uninsured motorist coverage, they would not pay my claim and I got nothing! They were impossible to deal with and I should have taken them to Court but I did not want the hassle. I just bought a new car. They are the worst insurance company out there and not to be trusted.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I’ll start by saying I have been a Mercury Insurance customer since the early 1990’s. I was in an auto accident where I was rear ended. I decided to use my insurance to cover my medical bills. I have heard stories that other people’s insurance will not pay your medical. They give you the run around. I ended up using all my med pay. Instead of helping me out they fought me all the way every penny. I thought there would be loyalty but no. The first person I talked to and emailed my claims to She said, "Yes send me your info and I’ll issue your check." She states the check is being processed. Two weeks go by. I never hear from her again and no check.

I called and she quit and no one can get into her email. I’ll have to resend all my info. So I resend it to another person Noel. He says he needs more info for the claim so I send it to him. I get some money Then he disappears and I get another guy Jack. He was the worst. He decided he’s not going to send me any money. Just kept giving me the run around. I talked to his supervisor and nothing. I finally got a lawyer involved they finally sent me money. It's my own insurance company. It’s horrible that you're in an accident, hurting and You use your insurance company because you think they are on your side and they are not. I will not recommend them to anyone. You're going through pain and suffering then fight with companies like that is awful. Their med pay custom service needs an overhaul.

Mercury Auto Insurance Company Information