Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance
ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Request Information
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

Mercury Insurance provides property and auto insurance for personal and commercial clients. Mercury is an InsuraMatch verified partner which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. If you want to see quotes from multiple providers, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many customers have been with Mercury for years, some more than a decade or two. The company has many happy reviewers that discuss competitive prices and fast claims processing. Mercury offers other types of insurance as well, such as home insurance.

PROS

• Offers other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Local offices and agents available
  • Low cost
  • Can sign up online or over the phone
  • Offers mobile ID card

CONS

• Repairs can take longer than expected
  • Time limit on rental car benefits

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Mercury Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I would like to complement Mercury Auto Insurance co. on their, just incredibly professional, and business like manner, of handling all the details involved of an unfortunate auto accident, that I was involved in. They really took a huge load of preasure off of my shoulders, at an extremely stressful time for me. I really cannot thank them enough!

Paul

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Mercury has provided great service, however the only negative is that they do not provide a rental vehicle during an accident. Otherwise, they’re great. Claims are processed immediately, representatives are always available, and they offer competitive rates.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I have been with Mercury Insurance Company for over 40 years. The last time I received a renewal notice I decided to see if I could get a better price. I checked with Auto Club, Allstate and several other companies. Mercury had the best price for the coverage that I desired.

Original review: July 2, 2019

They go way out of their way to help you not only with coverage but support when you need it. The rates are fair. My agent is so wonderful. Insuraide. They make you feel like they are their only customer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I was in the process of moving but not a definite, no big deal. I call the insurance company to notify them of the move to the new address and they immediately processed the information. Policy goes up about forty dollars monthly without them telling me. Later I get the notification. Mind you, they never asked for any documentation on the new address.

Two weeks later and long story short, I tell them I never proceeded to the new address and that I requested for my rate to be reverted back to the original monthly installment. NOW it's a problem, they told me I have to show proof that I'm still living at the original residence and was even told that the reason why I stop the moving process is because I seen the rate go up. Are you serious, even if that was the main reason, what is it to you if I didn't want to move cause I didn't want my insurance to go up. That should make sense to the logical people but to Mercury Insurance, they are just another corporate manipulative scumbags.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

Mercury has great prices, and after a water leak took great care of us. I was so happy with them. Yet I just got a notice they are cancelling me. I guess as long as you don't file a claim, they will take your money. As soon as you cost them any money, they drop you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I TRIED to get car insurance through Mercury Insurance for my wife and my daughter. What MISTAKE that turned out to be!! During our initial call I told the young lady that my daughter had an at fault accident. We were given a quote of $ 241.88 to start with payments of $ 242.83. We called back to give the young lady our information and vehicle vin numbers. We were told that The initial quote was wrong. The NEW quote JUMPED to $ 817 to start. What kind of scam are you running??!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

We have been with Mercury insurance for about 3 years now and all I have yet to see is an increase on our bill. We have the good driver discount and no accidents and it went up 58.00 this year. Certainly will be looking for a more honest insurance company after this one runs out. Thanks but no thanks.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

My agent sucks and overall service sucked. I returned my car in Sep, and they still took withdrew from my account and then I had to give copies of the paper 3+ times over to my agent. It's still not cancelled and just got another bill from them. It's ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I got hit by a Mercedes SUV driven by an middle-aged Indian lady having Mercury auto insurance, who crossed the red light casually and seemed to be substance intoxicated. Despite the expired insurance policy shown to me by that Indian lady, GEICO, my auto insurance, helped filing a claim to Mercury on my behalf. Once my claim was submitted to Mercury, that is when the situation went south. I was assigned an adjuster, and I was given her extension number, too.

My first attempt to call this adjuster was around 10:30 to 11 am. I kept getting into her automated voice message, but luckily, my phone call went through. She replied me that the claim has not been reviewed, and it took 48 hours to review. She said she would call me back once the claim has been reviewed. Note: The claim was actually submitted more than 48 hours ago by GEICO. Around 2:43 PM, the Mercury adjuster called me back, but I was too late by a few seconds to pick up her phone call. She left a voice message, and I promptly returned her call after I listened to her voice message. This time around, between 2:45 PM until their office closing time 4:00 PM, my phone call was not answered at all. I made more than 30 attempts to call her back during that time period, but I had 0 success to reach her.

Feeling desperate, I made an attempt to reach Mercury customer service, and the customer service lady checked on this adjuster, and informed me that the adjuster was on the phone. Apparently, the adjuster was on the phone from 2:45 PM until 4:00 PM, when the office closed, without making any attempt to call me back. That speaks volume on how terrible Mercury claim adjusters are in handling the claimers. I also asked GEICO for a help to contact the adjuster, but GEICO claim staff had 0 success in getting in contacting her as well. Please avoid using Mercury Insurance if you can if you have to file a claim. Their claim adjusters are terrible in giving a quality customer service. There are better insurance companies with stronger financial situation and less questionable company history.

Not sure about Mercury Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Mercury Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mercury Insurance is a company that has been providing customers with auto insurance policies since 1962. Mercury also offers renters insurance, mechanical equipment insurance and more.

• Savable quotes: Mercury Insurance offers customers the ability to save online quotes, so they can take time to think or shop around and still receive the same rate they were first quoted.

• Trustworthy: Forbes Magazine has rated Mercury one of the most trustable auto insurance companies in the country.

• Discount options: The company offers drivers a wide range of discount options, including multicar discounts, discounts for anti-theft devices and discounts for students that get good grades.

• Repair guarantee: If customers choose a Mercury-authorized repair shop, Mercury will guarantee the repair for as long as an owner possesses the vehicle.

• Mobile app: The company offers policyholders access to a mobile app through which they can view info about their account and pay bills.

• Best for: Student drivers, new drivers and drivers who recently purchased a car.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor