Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
1.99/5

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Mercury Insurance provides property and auto insurance for personal and commercial clients. Mercury is an InsuraMatch verified partner which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. If you want to see quotes from multiple providers, contact InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many customers have been with Mercury for years, some more than a decade or two. The company has many happy reviewers that discuss competitive prices and fast claims processing. Mercury offers other types of insurance as well, such as home insurance.

PROS

• Offers other types of insurance and bundle discounts
  • Local offices and agents available
  • Low cost
  • Can sign up online or over the phone
  • Offers mobile ID card

CONS

• Repairs can take longer than expected
  • Time limit on rental car benefits

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Mercury Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Mercury has provided great service, however the only negative is that they do not provide a rental vehicle during an accident. Otherwise, they’re great. Claims are processed immediately, representatives are always available, and they offer competitive rates.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I have been with Mercury Insurance Company for over 40 years. The last time I received a renewal notice I decided to see if I could get a better price. I checked with Auto Club, Allstate and several other companies. Mercury had the best price for the coverage that I desired.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2019

They go way out of their way to help you not only with coverage but support when you need it. The rates are fair. My agent is so wonderful. Insuraide. They make you feel like they are their only customer.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Mercury is a fantastic insurance company. I have been using Mercury for about ten years now. The renewal has always been easy until this year. The coverage cost went seven hundred dollars, it was 350 for the previous years. I was quite frustrated with this for it caused a great strain on the payment process. There has to be cheaper insurance. I will shop for new insurance next year. But other than that it is an easy process to make payments.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I got hit by a Mercedes SUV driven by an middle-aged Indian lady having Mercury auto insurance, who crossed the red light casually and seemed to be substance intoxicated. Despite the expired insurance policy shown to me by that Indian lady, GEICO, my auto insurance, helped filing a claim to Mercury on my behalf. Once my claim was submitted to Mercury, that is when the situation went south. I was assigned an adjuster, and I was given her extension number, too.

My first attempt to call this adjuster was around 10:30 to 11 am. I kept getting into her automated voice message, but luckily, my phone call went through. She replied me that the claim has not been reviewed, and it took 48 hours to review. She said she would call me back once the claim has been reviewed. Note: The claim was actually submitted more than 48 hours ago by GEICO. Around 2:43 PM, the Mercury adjuster called me back, but I was too late by a few seconds to pick up her phone call. She left a voice message, and I promptly returned her call after I listened to her voice message. This time around, between 2:45 PM until their office closing time 4:00 PM, my phone call was not answered at all. I made more than 30 attempts to call her back during that time period, but I had 0 success to reach her.

Feeling desperate, I made an attempt to reach Mercury customer service, and the customer service lady checked on this adjuster, and informed me that the adjuster was on the phone. Apparently, the adjuster was on the phone from 2:45 PM until 4:00 PM, when the office closed, without making any attempt to call me back. That speaks volume on how terrible Mercury claim adjusters are in handling the claimers. I also asked GEICO for a help to contact the adjuster, but GEICO claim staff had 0 success in getting in contacting her as well. Please avoid using Mercury Insurance if you can if you have to file a claim. Their claim adjusters are terrible in giving a quality customer service. There are better insurance companies with stronger financial situation and less questionable company history.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We are a active duty military family who just bought their first home. There was a fire down the street from our house and we had damage to our pool filter and ash just being all over the house and cars even my sectional in the house. They had their guys come out then my pool guy came out said my motor burnt out because we had too much ash in the motor and filter. We had damage to our sectional. The furniture technician I hired from the company I bought the sectional from came out. Said what needed to be done. A month later Mercury does not want to pay and wants once again someone from their company to come out to test for ash. Hello. You have waited over a month. We cleaned most of it up!!! Horrible company!!!! It took them 2 weeks just to reimburse our food money. Who does that!!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I filed a claim for water damage in my home. The adjuster hired contractors that wasn’t licensed. My bathrooms was not finished after me and my disabled children stayed in a hotel for 6 months to return home to bathrooms that wasn’t finished. They then canceled my claim after I reported them to the Georgia insurance fraud department.

Original review: July 22, 2019

An insured Mercury Insurance driver sideswipes my car that was briefly parked in a shopping center parking lot. I provide detailed pictures of the incident, including where her car was parked next to mine (within inches of my car with the front wheels sharply turned away from mine). Orange markings on her car correspond to the exact height of orange markings on my car (paint/primer transfer). I could go on and on here with proof, but the other driver denies hitting my car. I went to an auto body shop they recommended also to document. I also made a report with my own insurance company, who concluded the other driver was 100% at fault. I would prefer to collect from the other driver's insurance for a variety of reasons, but it looks like I'll need to collect from my own. How is it that two insurance companies come to the exact opposite conclusion? Anyway, avoid Mercury Insurance at all costs.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Don't even try to cancel your policy. It's harder than pulling teeth. The model they use is you sign up with insurance through the parent company "Mercury Insurance" and once you have your policy, they assign you to a local Agent. The local Agent IS NOT MERCURY. They are privately owned insurance companies. Dealing with the local insurance agent is a NIGHTMARE! It almost seems like they work out of a basement at their parents' house. The runaround and headaches with trying to do anything with your policy is an absolute nightmare! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS... Spend the extra $50 and go with ANY OTHER insurance company. DISASTER they are!

Original review: June 27, 2019

So my vehicle was involved in an accident early May of this year. I filed a claim and was okay with Mercury not paying for any damages or covering the cost on MY vehicle because the driver was not under my insurance policy. Totally acceptable and I agreed with that. 2 weeks later I receive a call from Enterprise saying Mercury had put in a request for me to get a rental due to the loss my car. I confirmed with them that it was true and was told it was and that it would be covered $30/day. I agreed and picked up the car two days later than when I was first notified.

A week and a half in, I receive a call from Enterprise telling me that Mercury had rejected the claim they had put in for me to get this car and that I would have to pay out of pocket. I was pissed of course and called Mercury asking them the deal. I finally got a response from Tomm ** who told me, "Oh we assumed you knew it wasn't covered after we said your car wasn't covered". You assumed I knew? When the rental is calling me 2 weeks after the fact you told me my car wasn't covered but didn't decide to mention the fact of the rental policy. The managers are STRAIGHT UP RUDE as is already and are trying to say I'm taking advantage of a situation that I now might have to pay $700 out of my own pocket?! I have proof from the rental where they have on paper stating Mercury called in this rental for me which they are trying to claim they never did. Should never get insurance from here or trust people who owe 27 million for defrauding people.

Mercury Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mercury Insurance is a company that has been providing customers with auto insurance policies since 1962. Mercury also offers renters insurance, mechanical equipment insurance and more.

• Savable quotes: Mercury Insurance offers customers the ability to save online quotes, so they can take time to think or shop around and still receive the same rate they were first quoted.

• Trustworthy: Forbes Magazine has rated Mercury one of the most trustable auto insurance companies in the country.

• Discount options: The company offers drivers a wide range of discount options, including multicar discounts, discounts for anti-theft devices and discounts for students that get good grades.

• Repair guarantee: If customers choose a Mercury-authorized repair shop, Mercury will guarantee the repair for as long as an owner possesses the vehicle.

• Mobile app: The company offers policyholders access to a mobile app through which they can view info about their account and pay bills.

• Best for: Student drivers, new drivers and drivers who recently purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky