Call toll free*
Call toll free
3.41/5
Based on 106 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Mercury Insurance provides property and auto insurance for personal and commercial clients. Mercury is an InsuraMatch verified partner which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. If you want to see quotes from multiple providers, contact InsuraMatch today.

350 Mercury Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2018

We had Mercury Insurance for all of our cars for many years, I believe more than two decades. We were happy with them for a long time, but things have changed greatly and not for the better. We added on our daughter, a new driver, for coverage, and of course, our rates rose dramatically. We get that. She had two minor accidents. The first one happened in the college parking lot where she tapped a parked car. She waited till the other owner returned to her car because she is honest. The other one involved a lane change that was considered her fault.

But here's what we are so upset over: Early this year she left the country for a study abroad program for 4 months. I called the insurance agent whose been handling our account for years and asked if we could temporarily remove her from coverage. The agent (I won't name her here because of my husband's request) asked me when she would be back. I told her she was booked for a return flight on the 3rd of May and I would let her know when she returned. Didn't seem to be a problem and it saved us over a $1,000 so seemed like the right thing to do.

So the day our daughter returned from England, my husband called to reactivate her under our insurance. We were told that because she had 3 accidents, that we could not. She only had two. They recorded the parking lot incident twice under different days. We could only put her back on if we purchased a special rider costing us over a thousand extra a month which we deemed ridiculous. Although my husband is protective over this agent, she clearly lied, telling him that I said that our daughter would not be back for a year. Why would I have said such a thing? She'd asked for a specific date which I gave her. I'm not sure why this even matters exactly, other than I believe that one of the accidents would have been over three years ago if there's was more time allotted. Anyway, they wouldn't budge on things, so we have left Mercury. For good.

Even before this recent change of events, I was none too happy. About two years ago we donated one of our older cars after purchasing a new used car. I thought it would make our rates go down. Make sense, right? But no, our rates went up. One of the reasons for the rising cost, if I understand correctly, is that they could then assign whichever vehicle they wanted to whichever driver they wanted regardless of which one of us was actually driving each car the most. So naturally, they assigned our highest priced vehicle to our daughter, the highest risk driver in the family, even though she never drives it. We had no say in the matter where in previous years we could declare which one of us drive which. In addition, their rates have just generally gone up.

Anyway, we've now switched to Triple A insurance, and they seem happy to have us. Discovered that they are actually a non-profit of sorts and that there may be a return of some funds at the end of the year. We haven't been on long so I can't speak to that, nor to how good or bad their service really is. There was a hiccup with AAA losing the photos of our vehicles after we brought them in for pictures per AAA's request. It looked like they were going to actually close our account. We had to return for more pictures. So I guess they are not perfect either. Maybe none of these insurance companies are. But I will say that our rates have actually gone down overall with the switch, so maybe it was a good thing that Mercury dropped our daughter.

I still resent the whole way that they did things, though. If they had said that if we suspended her service they would not put her back on without a special rider, then we wouldn't have chosen to do so. I thought that agents were there to help you figure things out and work in both the customer's and the company's best interests. But apparently not. This agent worked only for Mercury's bottom line with no regard to treating their customer's fairly and honestly. I was tricked and unfairly treated!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've been a long time customer of Mercury for both my auto and homeowners policies. I had a slab leak August of last year and finally had to use my homeowners policy. I've had the worst customer service experience one can imagine. Still living with torn up floors and walls. I am extremely dissatisfied!

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I tried to get other estimates but nothing came close to Mercury. They have been responsive and timely with claims and their customer service is good. The claims person came to the auto body shop and worked things out with them. I have been with Mercury for over 20 years probably and I have three cars covered.

Original review: May 31, 2018

A client of Mercury Auto Insurance hit my parked car in a parking lot, left a fake business card to make it appear as though he was leaving his information, leading me on a 3 day chase to find him. I obtained a rental car while my car was in the shop being fixed. Out of pocket expenses that I, MYSELF had to pay for insurance on the rental car was $79.96. I spoke with Mercury several times explaining that I should not incur these out of pocket expenses due to THEIR slimeball of a client hitting my car and running. They were uncooperative, non understanding and unwilling to accommodate or help in ANY way, simply saying over and over “we aren’t responsible for gas and insurance on rental vehicles”.

Instead of swallowing their pride, actually being helpful and doing the right thing by paying me the $79.96, which to me is a good chunk of change, but to them is pocket change, I’m here giving fair warning to others who unfortunately have to deal with them. AVOID them at all costs. Unwilling to help, unprofessional and unethical. I currently have a renters insurance policy through Mercury, but will now be seeking a BETTER and more ETHICAL insurance provider ASAP.

Original review: May 24, 2018

When I was searching for auto insurance companies, Mercury was the cheapest at the time. It was years ago. I had no tickets or accidents and they had many incentives for those that had a clean record. But they did not back me up for my accident. They don't fight for you that well. It seemed as though they were just trying to hurry up with the claim and it ended up giving me a point in my record even though I was not found to be at fault.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 24, 2018

I liked that they were able to start my policy quickly. The sales person seemed friendly and eager to help with my situation. I handled all of the details by phone and email, which was confident for me, since there was not a local office. There was a lot of going back and forth, but the situation was handled. However my policy was not 30 days old before they sent a letter saying they were gonna be dropping my policy, due to inaccurate documentation. I sent in everything they asked for. They would not keep me as a client, saying they could not verify my address, but I receive mail at the same address! I felt like they just took my money. This company left a really bad taste in my mouth. I would not recommend this company to anyone. They are just taking advantage of people already in a bind. This company is not here to help consumers in any way. Good thing all insurance companies don't do business the same as Mercury.

Original review: May 23, 2018

We have canceled all 3 of our insurance policies with Mercury (2 auto and 1 homeowner's) because of the terrible customer service experience we've had. It's unacceptable that our claim wasn't approved and paid out as it should have been based on the water damage and burst pipe under the crawlspace in our bathroom. I have a high degree of confidence that both your restoration company and your field inspector get incentives from Mercury to deny claims and avoid payouts in cases where damage has been incurred by your customers.

Both of them were taking pictures of areas not even related to burst pipe under the house below my bathroom floor, where the pinhole leak was actually found by the plumber. We had been Mercury customers for 15 years, and saw no appreciation for our loyalty. Good riddance to your shady insurance company. I've given you a 1 star review on Yelp, ConsumerAffairs and other sites and will discourage any of my friends/family from using Mercury Insurance in the future.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I was very happy with Mercury Insurance because they had very reasonable rates and they were very easy to deal with. Sometimes I was not able to make my payments on time but the amount of time they gave before terminating my policy was more than fair. I had an outstanding relationship with Mercury Insurance company and my overall experience with them was very good. Making payments was easy and they had the SR22 policy for those who need SR22.

But my insurance agency had a difficult time renewing my auto insurance with Mercury Insurance company. My insurance agent was trying to renew my policy online and Mercury wasn't allowing it. I had Mercury for three years and I hadn't had any traffic incidents or accidents so it was very disappointing when I had to sign with a new company all because my insurance agent was unable to renew my policy this particular time. I really did not want to sign with another insurance company.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I searched online for the lowest rates and a plan that would provide enough coverage to meet my needs. Mercury's rates are fairly low and I also like the amount of coverage that I get for my money. It was easy to sign up too. I would however prefer that they would provide better roadside assistance coverage plans.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Our experience has been wonderful and all needs met efficiently and promptly. I like cost, less expensive and is fully cooperative with clients. Made having an accident an easy experience. They are at the client's beck and call. I would recommend this company to my friends and neighbors.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I purchased Mercury through AIS, it was the cheapest option at the time that covered all the needs I was looking for. Process was easy, I am satisfied. I like the convenience, was able to set up online automatic payments and they have a low deductible for comprehensive coverage. But I don't like that you get charged extra for making payments that are NOT through auto debit. I didn't have bank account, and I don't think you should get penalized for not having a bank account.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Mercury has great rates and the coverage that I need. I like my agent and they are helpful and answer all of my questions that I have. Paying my bill online is simple and easy to use also. However, the rental car coverage should be extended for more than 30 days. The repairs on my car took at least 41 days and the insurance did not cover it so I had to pay out of pocket and the accident was not even my fault.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I spoke with a friend, who recommended his sister. I had been in two accidents in a relatively short period of time. She became my agent and searched for a company that would cover me with my less than perfect record. She suggested Mercury because of their reputation and coverage. It was a very easy process. I gave her my information and just like that I was covered. It was such a relief! The agent took good care of me. The service was good and affordable, and fortunately I was able to clear my record over time. I was then able to get better coverage at a lower rate elsewhere, through my employer. If that hadn't been the case I would have stuck with Mercury.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Being able to contact them directly when we have had claims for accidents has been great. I liked having a direct line to our adjuster. They also handle them quickly so we could get our new car. I like that they have discounts for good drivers, older drivers, and multiple drivers. And they have the option to purchase renter's insurance with our auto insurance plan. However they have raised our rates with each 6 month renewal period without checking to see if life circumstances have changed. And granted it isn't a lot, it still affects our budget.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I was sent to collections when I wasn't even cover for the month that I didn't make a payment for. I couldn't afford the payment at the moment due to hardship times and they just made it even worse.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My driving record isn't the best. Since I am still paying for my car, I am required to keep comprehensive coverage on it and Mercury was the best price for the coverage I needed. Purchasing was very easy. I used a local agent who did all the price comparison shopping for me. Then, all I had to do was sign the paperwork! Since my insurance policy is coming up for renewal, they are checking again to make sure I still have the best price. Recently, I had to file a claim for a small car accident I was in. The adjuster assigned to my claim was never available and she did not return my calls. That's an issue.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I was able to purchase insurance over phone, and received a great deal. Got a better deal when I bought renter's insurance. Mercury seemed very knowledgeable, but once I needed their help, some reps make the process more stressful than need be. Quickly has an adjuster inspect car and immediately helps me get a rental car. But rep never phone backs when stated. Some of the reps seem not to completely understand their job. This has led to car being fixed longer than we were told, extending use of rental, threats of paying more for rental which is their fault and unfair. This can be very frustrating.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Mercury Auto Insurance has affordable prices and seem to be located in area that are convenient to our home and affordable prices. But you don't have to go their offices. My husband set up insurance for our teen daughter over the phone and it was very easy and quick. However, prices recently went up significantly and it is way too expensive. Adding our teenage daughter to the plan made our monthly bill go up by much more than we had anticipated. But I have friends that pay way less!

Original review: May 15, 2018

We shopped around a lot and found Mercury to be our best option. I have been with them for a very long time and will continue my plan with them. My whole family has coverage with this company too. Low cost, they are always very helpful and available. I have never had to wait for a long time on hold. And they are always prompt with service. But dislike minimal coverage. I only have liability so this is mostly just because of my plan. I previously had full coverage on one of my vehicles and it was very good coverage. It wasn't costly like some other companies. Great overall experience.

Original review: May 14, 2018

The process of purchasing the insurance with Mercury Auto Insurance was easy. We found a Mercury Insurance office and made an in-person appointment to make sure we were getting what we wanted and were able to ask our agent questions face to face. I like being able to speak to a live person. We have the same insurance for over 10 years and have had the same agent the entire time. The company has been easy to deal with and the rates are affordable. I also enjoy being able to do most everything on-line. But it would be nice to have cheaper rates.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I was referred through my friends and experience has been good thus far. Due to certain discounts, my insurance payment has been reduced. Reasonable cost and discounts. And the company is easy to contact. The insurance agents are also ready to assist you in a polite and professional manner and they provide good customer service. But discounts could be given on longevity with the company, especially if you have had no accidents. In addition, information should be given to customers if they no longer require full coverage.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Purchasing the policy was simple and easy. We simply had to call an 800 number and a woman named Wanda walked us through the process. She explained the process very thoroughly and in terms that we could understand. Wanda was also friendly, personable, and seemed to understand our needs. Mercury pays off quickly and negotiate well on our behalf. I also like the discounts and that they are affordable. When we had State Farm, it was much more expensive. However, I wish it covered pizza delivery drivers. Our son had this part time job and we did not realize his vehicle was not covered while he was working until he had an accident.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I had to find Mercury through an insurance agent instead of being able to locate the company, obtain a quote and purchase a policy without an intermediary. Insurance agent recorded my personal and vehicle information and recommended this company because they offered the best rate for my policy. The premium is reasonable. The claims process is not difficult, the company is easy to work with, the employees are friendly and sympathetic, and repairs are completed quickly.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Mercury Auto Insurance was absolutely wonderful. I was on the verge of giving up on finding affordable motor vehicle insurance but one of Mercury's third party companies jumped right in to assist and help me get a great rate so I could continue to drive safely and legal. At Mercury insurance the employee, managers, as well as third party companies associated, always worked with me and were very helpful any time I would call in for any issue like late payments, questions, upgrades multiple things. They messed up my account a few times with my banking institution though but they resolved every issues I've encountered except the few that there was absolutely no other solution or way. It overall was a great experience.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I spoke to them about my windshield getting cracked due to rock from another company vehicle. They could not see if it was covered in my policy and I was transferred to several people where I had to explain my claim several times. The first 2 did not know if I would be covered although they had access to my policy and then I had to wait for another representative to call me back. They are not efficient and I frequently have to call as they price will fluctuate without cause to why.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Purchased online/over the phone. Very convenient and was able to download ID card straight to my phone. That is the most conveinent way to me to have your ID card on your phone and to be able to pull it up whenever you need to. Also the app that they have for you to download to your phone to keep track of your account and pay your bill. That is also a convenient way to keep track of things and pay your bill. How much more could a customer/client ask for! I love it! Most of all I love the customer service! That is my favorite part! Their employees are very professional and courteous. Any time I have a problem and speak with someone over the phone they are extremely patient and sweet. Have had several laughs over the phone with representatives. Great customer service which nowadays is very hard to find!

It is also affordable and they work with you when you need them to. But I would improve their policies on giving perks for people who have not been in any accidents. Maybe if they gave out perks for not having been in any accidents for long periods of time then that may peak people's interests in purchasing with this company. I'm a very cautious driver and have not been in any accidents before so it would be nice to be rewarded for that! Maybe even discount off of the next month's bill.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I do not like purchasing insurance over the internet, so I chose to call and purchase my insurance over the phone. For me, it makes me feel a lot more comfortable actually talking to a live person. This was a nice feature that Mercury offered, because some companies make you purchase on their website or on the phone with an operator. I priced a lot of different companies and Mercury had the best price and coverage. I have only had a very good experience with them thus far and I hope that it will continue. They have been a great company to work with!

Original review: May 11, 2018

I applied for Mercury via telephone and the representative was very helpful and answered all of my questions. I knew the policy details and they were explained to me thoroughly. It was fast and easy. I feel like I have complete coverage with them. They are responsive when I'm in an accident and agreed to continue to insure me after my DUI. I also like the website which makes it easy to pay my monthly bill and look up my policy. But I feel like I am getting charged too much monthly. I understand that I got a DUI, but that should not have increased my premium so much considering there was no property damage.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Mercury is the cheapest insurance I was able to find for myself and I like it because of the price. Get what you pay for. However, they have really bad customer service and sometimes they use agents from out of the country. I don't like their billing cycle too. They also ask for different items that other insurance companies do not require and asked for multiple pieces of proof of things that aren't true.

Original review: May 10, 2018

My insurance purchasing was a breeze. I was able to do everything over the phone and was emailed a receipt within minutes. Customer service was great. Everyone is so helpful. The website is so easy to use. The paperwork was clear and easy to read. Their policy is more than the state minimum's and way cheaper than my last company. The only issue I ran into is my policy was quoted one thing then being more expensive after I paid for it. Also, a local office would be nice. I like to be able to talk to and ask questions face to face. If I were to ever have a claim it would be nice to have a local person handle it.

Mercury Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Mercury Insurance is a company that has been providing customers with auto insurance policies since 1962. Mercury also offers renters insurance, mechanical equipment insurance and more.

• Savable quotes: Mercury Insurance offers customers the ability to save online quotes, so they can take time to think or shop around and still receive the same rate they were first quoted.

• Trustworthy: Forbes Magazine has rated Mercury one of the most trustable auto insurance companies in the country.

• Discount options: The company offers drivers a wide range of discount options, including multicar discounts, discounts for anti-theft devices and discounts for students that get good grades.

• Repair guarantee: If customers choose a Mercury-authorized repair shop, Mercury will guarantee the repair for as long as an owner possesses the vehicle.

• Mobile app: The company offers policyholders access to a mobile app through which they can view info about their account and pay bills.

• Best for: Student drivers, new drivers and drivers who recently purchased a car.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky