Mercury Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had Mercury Insurance for our vehicles for two years and we never actually had a claim on the policy. Every term, our policy price increased. I wasn't aware that policies should increase for good driving. So, I decided to shop around and found a company with exact coverage that cost us $400 less per year. Upon cancelling my policy, Mercury charged me an excessive fee and penalized me for shopping around. What a terrible company and terrible customer service. I pleaded with them to refund my money and prorate the 4 days I had used the policy, but they rudely declined and just stated their terrible policy. Stay away from Mercury!

I would not recommend this company at all. After being with Mercury for over 20 years, my husband and I have decided it’s time to leave. They do not value your loyalty. I was hit from behind and was told it was my fault. I am clearly in the middle of the street, my neighbors saw the accident and I was still told it was my fault. Our house has a leak in the wall, Mercury's claim adjuster, the plumber and recovery team all said how were we to know there is a leak in the wall. Mercury said we have no claim. They are good at taking your money, but refuse to give you a claim. I hope they go out of business. My husband called and told the field rep, “I hope you sleep well at night.”

Had this insurance for 1 month. Customer service is horrible. There is no way to get in contact with them besides calling them and it is not a 24-hour service. They say they can help you through their email customer service but they never response. Long story short I live with my 13-year-old brother and he does not have a license obviously and they gave me the hardest time about it. I contacted them through email to let them know 3 times. They never got back to me until now emailing me that they are canceling my policy because of not giving them my brother's license number that he does not have. Don't bother with them. If you are looking for cheap insurance try GEICO. That is who I am switching to. They are actually cheaper. Hope this helps you.

My home got flooded on the Feb 20. Already a month and this company has completely left me and my family in the dark, I have to constantly call field adjuster, adjuster, supervisor of the either one. It's a mess and to be honest with you, now I know where to take my business moving forward! Never again would want to deal with Mercury Insurance, they're quick at collecting your premiums but when it comes to paying up claims they are the worst!

My BRAND NEW car was rear-ended during the holiday season; between both the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, a rental car was required for 43 days. Since I do not have rental car coverage under my auto policy, I was required to deal with the responsible party's insurance company - Mercury Insurance. First, my claims representative at Mercury was switched (without any type of notification to me), the new rep didn't think anything was owed during our first conversation, the check was sent to an incorrect address, the reimbursement letter was incorrect, and communication had to be kept with the claim rep's supervisor (whom was the only one that would pick up a phone).

My total reimbursement was around 1/3 of the out-of-pocket expense that I paid for a REASONABLE rental car. In order to pursue the remainder, Mercury has demanded that a small claims case be made against their driver before they would get involved any further. This was a ridiculous experience, second-rate customer service, and a reason to appreciate the quality of service that I have with STATE FARM. I would not wish Mercury Insurance upon anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Insurance?

I'm the wife of my husband who is supposed to be getting his car fixed by Mercury Insurance. I am very disappointed with Sherri ** who is supposed to be representing his claim. Their client hit my husband's car from the back and when their client wasn't out of the car she seemed to be on the phone. It was obviously her fault. I've been trying to get a hold of Mercury Insurance and not one person has helped or called back. I give them 48 hrs. If not I will sue. & I think it's inconvenient that they want us to pay a $300 deposit for the rental car. I know I'll be getting the deposit back but we obviously can't give up $300. I have kids to feed and bills to pay. I shouldn't have to give up a penny if none of this is my fault.

After 18 years with this company they changed their billing policy. This new policy forces payments closer together. With rates going up (for no reason) there is no longer enough time to save enough money between payments. Only option is a forced auto payment that doesn't allow for sync up between payment and paychecks. The company isn't going to change, they claim they want to 'talk' but it is pointless. Unless the company will revert back to their old billing system, talking isn't going to pay the bill. They have upped and upped rates for both house and car for no reason.

I was in an accident on October 20 2016. The insured person with Mercury Insurance ran in the back of my car and it's now March the first and this adjuster is giving me the run around. I'm giving them 1 more week. After that I will sue I promise you that.

I called to take off a vehicle that was completely paid off and sitting at house not being driven. I was also looking to purchase a specific vehicle, that I had heard great things about. I called them to take off vehicle and get a QUOTE for the new car. I was very specific in not adding it to policy. They came in high, so I continued to shop as my policy was expiring in a week, and I had not taken possession of the vehicle yet. I found a lower quote and moved my policy to other insurance company. They in turn sent me a bill for the vehicle that I wanted a quote for.

I asked for a copy of the recording on 3 occasions. After 4 months of asking for the recording they inform me that they only keep those on file for 90 days, and that I have to prove that I am innocent. Even though they don't have my authorization for the addition and managed to delete their evidence that would prove me right. They will never get a dime from me. But I will spend the next 5 years warning people of the type of business tactics that this company uses. Stay clear if you can, and if you're in it already, get out. This is not a company that you want to be associated with. It's not about the $135, I make $300 an hour. It's about the principle.

On February 28th 2006. Was involved in an auto accident. The person that pulled out in front of me his fault completely. Report says it's his fault yet the claims adjuster will not pay me any pain and suffering with this accident. Been over a year. I've had physical therapy and MRI x-rays and three epidurals for my back. The claim adjuster says I have had pre-existing back problems. I feel like I'm being treated so unfairly. My back is hurting so bad and yet they will not even pay me a dime.

I'm sorry for all of those who had problems with Mercury. I had my reservations too when I signed up for Mercury and figured that I was paying a cheap premium for junk insurance - and you "get what you pay for", right? Fast forward 5 years and my wife's car is nearly totaled in a hit & run. I called Mercury and MUCH TO MY SURPRISE, they took charge of the situation, dealt with the police department after my wife filed the report, paid for our rental car and PAID EVEN MORE after I we had the rental car for 2 days beyond the allotted 30 days, AND they pointed me to an absolutely OUTSTANDING body shop that gave us our car back in better condition than it was before the accident! This cost the insurance company $13,000! I don't know if it's the BRANCH that gave y'all such a bad experience, but here in Los Angeles my wife and I were treated like royalty. LOVE YOU MERCURY!! P.S. No One PAID me or even PROMPTED me to leave this review.

I was quoted $107/month for my premium. I signed my docs and got my insurance card and figured that was that. The following month I received a bill and was SHOCKED to see my premium increased almost $100/month to $195. I called customer service and was told that my 'discount' was removed because they never received proof of prior insurance. Really? I was never ASKED for proof of prior insurance. OK. So I emailed them their docs. They tell me it's too late to change my bill for $195 because there's no possible way to change that once it's been billed and they're going to take that out of my account no matter what so I complain because basically I'm spending an extra $100 for absolutely NOTHING. Next someone named "Onika" tells me that my rate will be lowered afterwards to $76/month so I'm happy and hang up.

Then I get a voicemail from underwriting so I call back. My docs I submitted aren't accepted because I started my policy with Mercury 2 days before my old policy expired. WHAT? That makes no sense. They tell me I can remedy that by sending my prior, PRIOR insurance declaration page. So I scramble to find that and I send it. Then I call back, YET AGAIN, and the person I talk to says that the new docs I submitted aren't any good and my rate will still go up to $115 a month and I can't get my extra $100 back. So, I tell him that I spoke with ONEIKA who assured me my rate would go down to $76/month after this month's bill. "I don't know what she was talking about. I don't see any notes like that in the system!?" he says. WHAT!? What kind of company is this? I do not understand and I am SO FRUSTRATED!!

I added an old car to my policy and was told they would insure it up to $3,000. I got rear-ended and they low-ball me for the value. Then I get a call from a doctor's office trying to collect and they were told there was no medical claim filed. I call the office and was told I have to take it up with the other party's company and pay out of pocket regardless of the amount until there is a final bill to present to the other party. They also advised me to use my personal health insurance to lower the total cost, which is against my insurance policy. I've been with them since 2006 and this claim happened ten years later, and after ten years of being a loyal customer, they could care less about their customer...

During a recent claim for water leaking in my 2nd floor bathroom, the adjuster & inspector determined water was escaping from my shower into the corner of where the wall & tub meet, then leaking through the tile, through the subfloor, through the wood frame, through the paper & stucco leaking to my exterior. There would need to be hundreds of thousands of gallons of water to make their assessment true. They find whatever loophole they can to NOT pay for a claim. They hire inspection companies with their best interest at mind. L&D Plumbing & Heating Inc., are the crooks whom wrote the BS inspection report. After being a multi policycholders with Mercury Insurance for over a decade, that treat me like an ignorant piece of POO! I will be canceling my policies to move on to another company. NEVER AGAIN Mercury Insurance, I will never pay you a penny, let alone the thousands I paid you for years for my policies.

I filed a claim years ago and they fixed my car and supplied me with a rental car during the repair process, and my insurance didn't go up. It might have helped that the accident was not my fault. Other than too high of premiums, with seems to be the norm with all carriers, I am quite happy with Mercury. Always had an easy time contacting them. I go through an independent agent. Overall they are very easy to deal with and handle all my insurance need, I also insure my home through them. The independent agent are quite helpful in recommending changes to my policy to save some money. I did check with AAA and the price would have been about the same, although I do like the convenience of AAA's multi locations.

I was involved in an accident on January 5, 2016. The driver admitted negligence yet Mercury Insurance adjuster still wants to dispute. If your insured is at fault, accept your liability and move on. After I gather the evidence and show them the footage, they accept 85 percent liability. My car was deemed a total loss. Their adjuster Jose ** was handling my case is awful as well as his supervisor Adrienne (Claremount California). They are trying to get me to accept 15 percent liability. Stay away from Mercury insurance! Save yourself the headache and go elsewhere.

The customer care is horrible, they come across as helpful, but then behave despicably by adding fees never discussed or other issues I find unethical. Each office is owned independently, but the office I utilize is suspect for hiding fees and or being less than forthright when it comes to billing.

Horrible company to deal with, poor customer relations, they lie and steal money. Once you sign up for automatic pay, they continue to take your money out of your account after policy cancelled and give 101 excuses why it can't be returned. They make you do everything through emails which they then say they never got. Found better insurance for 300 dollars a month cheaper. Don't ever deal with this company. You'll regret it.

On Aug 6, 2016, I was involved in a car accident. The other driver ran the light, which caused me to hit his rear corner panel. The police report states the accident was inconclusive, no witness information was given, and the driver had license plates that did not match the vehicles vin number. The other driver now has a witness that come out of nowhere and due to the witness statement; my insurance company has deemed the accident my fault. It took between 4-6 weeks for the insurance company to get a copy of the police report; shortly after receiving the report, the insurance company closed the case. The insurance company told me they did not investigated the accident or the witness, failed to provide any information regarding the case (I initiated ALL calls and emails). Mercury failed to properly investigate and settle instead. So they my premium increased $100.00 per month and 2 points on my driving record. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

I had just called to see what the problem was. Vericona had informed me that my 2 vehicles were not covered and just now found out that my fiance (who is a truck driver and barely home) they will not reinstate my coverage unless they have his insurance card... Yet hard to get by the end of month. Needless to say they were aware of EVERYTHING for months. DO NOT USE THIS INSURANCE NO MATTER WHAT... They tell you one thing in the beginning and mess things up.

I was involved in a minor auto collision recently and everything was handled by Mercury in an appropriate manner except for one person whom was a very disturbing and unprofessional agent. Her name is Magdalena ** who had been assigned my incident. Upon contacting her regarding the traffic collision, I was stunned at her abusive and insulting phone demeanor. She tried to badger me regarding my recollection of the details of the incident. I hope you people have retained the recording of our conversation to hear for yourself just how belligerent and unprofessional this agent is. I'm not going to waste my time explaining everything that was stated as it will only irritate me once again, allowing thoughts of switching insurance companies for our family.

In my opinion, people such as Magdalena ** should never be allowed to speak with clients and kept as far away as possible from phones. With all the competition out there, you don't need people like her giving away your business! I asked for a Supervisor and was contacted by Becky ** from the Claims Department who was extremely nice and professional and appeared to understand the issues with Mrs. **. Mrs. ** explained that she will be taking over my case. And due to Mrs. ** sincere efforts to supersede the previous encounter with a calm and professional attitude, it appears that our faith in Mercury Insurance may be restored.

Aug 21, 2016 my parked car was hit by an insuree of Mercury insurance. The insuree happened to be looking at the damage when I came out the house, her passenger as well along with my guest. It was clear and precise the bumper and angle of the bumper to my driver side door and panel. I call Mercury, make the claim and take it to the repair shop. The damage matches the claim damage both myself, the Mercury, my passenger and the passenger of the car that hit me stated this is the claim damage.

Mercury adjusters declined the claim as pre-existing damage and stated they were only covering the other damage on the bottom driver side by the wheel. Terrible. That is the pre-existing damage. How on earth is my sports car (low to the ground) get hit by a SUV and cause damage down there? I have photos of the predicting damage which took place when I first got the car from another parked car hit and run. The damage they want to cover is 850 vs the 1450 for the actual claim damage. Terrible with photos and all to prove the adjuster is incorrect.

I switched from Farmers Insurance to Mercury Insurance to save about $200 a year. Mercury ended up costing me $300. When I called I wanted my coverage to start on October 1. I reiterated this date several times. They took my payment out of my checking account on September 28. My fault that I didn't double check my proof of insurance when it was sent to me. I didn't think I had to. I didn't realize that my insurance wasn't activated until October 15 by a notice from DMV. When I called Mercury they would not back date my coverage even though they have my money on October 1. This mistake cost me $250 to the DMV. Now a year later a get a notice that I owe them another $62.98 for my four days of coverage (11/14-11/18) and a $50 cancellation fee. So all in all Mercury has screwed me out of $300. They didn't save me a dime. I will never try to save a dollar with someone as dishonest as MERCURY INSURANCE.

On September 12, 2014, I was hit by a high-risk driver insured by Mercury that hit me in my parked car, attempted to flee the crime scene. I had to break off his ignition key to keep him from leaving. He was arrested, blew a... 19, admits liability. Mercury refuses to pay anything, forced me to sue. The drunk driver is a LAWYER and got favoritism from the San Diego court system, very corrupt. Now, I am forced to sue Mercury in the same court system. Mercury likes to take premiums from high-risk drivers, dislikes paying claims when the hit parked cars drunk.

They're insured, drunk with a 1.9 alcohol blow, and open containers hit my parked 2016 5 month old Mustang in the middle of the night sending it through a small brick wall and into my front yard. The claim handler is doing everything in their power to make it difficult to get Mercury to take financial responsibility for the damage. The claim handler also refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor and stated that no one other than herself could address my concerns, then told me it could be weeks or months before resolution, and that I would be responsible for any storage fees! Worst company I have ever dealt with in my 54 years!!!

We have been faithful Mercury customers for 20 years, since we bought our home. We never had a claim before. Then we have an A/C condensate line failure and have minor water damage with some mold next to the A/C unit. Mercury sends out a claims adjuster who takes one look at the damage and states that: "This must've been happening for a long time." We don't think anything of it until Mercury denies our claim, stating that any damage must be reported within 14 days of the incident. Seriously, who checks inside their A/C closet every 14 days? In any case, we hired Servicemaster to come out to resolve the water and mold. They informed us that the damage was fairly recent and definitely less than 14 days.

We give this information to Mercury and they continue to deny the claim, even though it now complies with their ludicrous stipulation. We then spoke with our insurance broker and even he recommended that we drop Mercury, which we will be doing. We will be forced to pursue damages from them in court. Thanks a lot Mercury!

I had a water leak in my kitchen. Not knowing what to do, a friend said I should call Mercury and file a claim, which I did. Everything went smooth until Mercury's adjuster referred me to a contractor that they recommend and that was when my problems started! Since I had been with Mercury for decades, never had a claim, I figured their contractors would be top notch and the work would be guaranteed. BOY WAS I MISTAKEN! Not only did their contractor ruin my tile floor (which Mercury paid for), never finished the job (Mercury paid for), but now he is trying to sue me in Small Claims Court for work that he did that Mercury did not approve.

With over 14 estimates from both the adjuster assigned to my file and the contractor (Topline aka: RW Construction), nothing was made clear. I emailed my adjuster, their supervisor and went all the way to the President of Mercury Insurance. Almost a year later their contractor tried to put a Mechanics Lien against my home, failed! Now he is taking me to Small Claims Court for money I owe him! How? Why? This was a water leak claim I filed with Mercury Insurance. This was a Mercury Insurance contractor referred to me by the adjuster for Mercury, yet Mercury is now telling me "Oh well"! They will not stand up for me, they are now telling me that their contractors are not "Mercury Contractors", and that there is nothing they can do.

I never signed a contract, never signed a "Change Order" as the contractor was ONLY supposed to replace the tile with tile and NOT granite. I WAS NEVER TOLD THAT. All the contractor did was gave me a sample to chose from of the granite and that was it. No mention that it would NOT be covered. Now that he is suing me Mercury wants no part of it! WOW! I'm the customer that has paid my premiums on time for decades, never had a claim, and their contractor is causing me nothing but heartache, and Mercury won't cover it and won't do anything to stand by me their loyal customer! MY LAST WORDS... GO TO ANOTHER COMPANY LIKE AAA OR STATE FARM, where I hear they do stand behind their work, contractors and loyal customers.

DO NOT use Mercury Insurance. Sadly, I found a better rate and cancelled. They charged me a 15% cancellation fee on my unused premium. I wasn't even with them a month. I ended up owing $57. I'm a teacher, and do not receive a paycheck in the summer. I needed that money, and they stole it from me. Go with Kemper. They are cheaper than Mercury. Also, I've been with AAA, State Farm, GEICO, Esurance, Allstate, and 21st Century, and they NEVER ripped me off for cancelling early. Mercury is a rip off.

Promised 100$/month before I decided to choose Mercury but charged me 170$/month. They gave the quote on phone (They call me after I left my number on some website) so I couldn't prove they ever said 100$/month. After I found out I tried to switch to other companies, but Mercury just never picks up phones, and when they finally did, they said I should send an email and didn't tell me which address I should send it to and what to say in the email, until I asked. No response after sending the email until I send another to ask when can I have the insurance cancelled, and their reply was that I have to inform them 5-10 days in advance. That means I have to pay another 170$. Anyway I'll try my best to stop it as soon as possible. Remember to AVOID MERCURY next time!

I am so glad I don't have Mercury Insurance. I was involved in an accident with a driver having Mercury Insurance and was insured. They have done everything possible to get out of paying the claim saying that my doctor was overcharging (false) and I must of had a pre-existing condition (not true). They say I should not have been insured and have offered only a very small amount towards bills. I am disgusted with them. They do everything possible to get out of paying a claim. My insurance company is the best. Maybe I pay they are always very fair in handling any claim.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Mercury Insurance is a company that has been providing customers with auto insurance policies since 1962. Mercury also offers renters insurance, mechanical equipment insurance and more.

• Savable quotes: Mercury Insurance offers customers the ability to save online quotes, so they can take time to think or shop around and still receive the same rate they were first quoted.
  • Trustworthy: Forbes Magazine has rated Mercury one of the most trustable auto insurance companies in the country.
  • Discount options: The company offers drivers a wide range of discount options, including multicar discounts, discounts for anti-theft devices and discounts for students that get good grades.
  • Repair guarantee: If customers choose a Mercury-authorized repair shop, Mercury will guarantee the repair for as long as an owner possesses the vehicle.
  • Mobile app: The company offers policyholders access to a mobile app through which they can view info about their account and pay bills.
  • Best for Student drivers, new drivers and drivers who recently purchased a car.

Compare Auto Insurance