Kemper - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We moved our home insurance and the auto on our 4 cars to Kemper from Liberty Mutual. God forbid if you hit a raccoon and need to file a claim. I had to hound them on the phone and through email. Took nearly a week to get an adjuster sent to look at the damages, then another week to hear ANYTHING from them about what they were doing. The only time I received service is when I persisted to contact them demanding help.

This coupled with them canceling the homeowners insurance a week after we got the policy stating they made a mistake and do not cover homes in our area due to their rural nature. Not like the house up and relocated it after I spent a month going back and forth with them to get the policy. Save yourself the frustration. Go with anyone BUT Kemper. And if you are with them I pray you never have to interact with customer service. Every rep I had was rude, one started yelling at me and after I asked them to speak in a civil manner put me on an extensive hold and came back and was very short and abrupt.

I got a policy through an insurance brokerage. The rates were high however I needed insurance while I shopped better rates. I explained this to the agent who told me if I found better rates and they could not be matched by the insurer the policy could be canceled. Lo and behold after in the next month I found a better rate. I called the insurance company well before my overpriced payment was due. I signed the cancellation and was assured I owed nothing by the broker as Kemper told me I could not cancel it through them. Nearly 3 months later I get a collection notice of an arbitrary amount from Kemper . No prior notice, no phone calls to explain why they would take such action.

I would give it a zero star if I could. 2/12/2016 was when policy started. We canceled on 3/23/2016. We got notice that the refund premium will be calculated but instead they billed us $106 which includes $50 cancellation fee that they never mentioned. They never sent a bill to us and we could not log into our account to see the bills. They sent it to collection. My son had paid the balance and when I just called them the underwriter asked me if I wanted to pay the balance due. Are you serious? Balance is zero now... Stay away from this company.

I've had Kemper since 1997. Same house. Same everything. The only claim I had was 6 years ago for a hail damaged roof. For some reason Kemper increased my rate by over $2000 (yearly) this past summer. I didn't catch it until my mortgage payment suddenly increased by $250 a month. It turned out to be because the insurance had increased so much. Kemper had my house insured for three times what it is worth. I shopped around and obtained three quotes from three different companies. All were lower than what I had been paying prior to the increase.

So I went with State Farm and am paying less than half of what Kemper was charging. Not sure what is going on with Kemper, but it was really hard to get them to honor my agent's request to cancel. I guess in this day and time, customer loyalty is no longer a factor with many insurance companies and they believe once you are a customer they can simply keep increasing the rates and you will not notice. We will need to shop around for home and auto insurance on a yearly basis until this nonsense settles down.

Their adjuster filed a claim without first gathering evidence and justified certain illegal acts on a recorded phone call. When it was revealed the other party was under police investigation for a scam, they tried to cover it up. It isn't worth saving money here. They're cheap because they are incompetent and crooked.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

I am an Insurance Agent in the South Suburbs of Chicago. One of my longtime clients had had an accident involving a deer in the early morning going up to the Northern Suburbs to her office. She was so rattled from the accident and couldn't drive her vehicle. Not only did the claims adjuster immediately put her into a rental car, they picked her up and got her back to her day within an hour 1/2 of the incident without a hiccup. My client had said that she's never had a company that was so caring towards their customers at the time of a loss but she really appreciates having Kemper now more than ever. It's times like those that I know having Kemper in my Agency is one of the best things that I can do for my clients.

I have worked with Kemper for many years and always found them to be helpful in all matters.

I have had Kemper insurance for several year now and have nothing but good things to say. Someone smashed a window on my vehicle. I called Kemper and they set up an appointment to have it replaced, with no cost to me. A few years ago there was a huge winter storm and I have over $20,000 worth of damage. Kemper was quick to come out and look at the damage and was also very fast in sending claim check for me to have all repairs I needed fixed. Whenever I needed Kemper, they have always been there, without any hesitation. Great company.

Have you heard that some insurance companies knowing withhold death payments from beneficiaries? And Kemper is one of them. There have been suits filed by numerous state insurance boards against these companies. Some have been settled, some are in negotiations, and only one (KEMPER) has refused to even negotiate. BEWARE OF BUYING A LIFE INSURANCE POLICY FROM KEMPER.

Hey, the people buy your insurance is suck. Over a month no one contact me. I try to call many times then you answer and then you promise call me back but NEVER. And u also send me a mail that "we try contact you but can't. You may not interested in this... " How stupid is that . If your guys still human do the right thing. Pay for fixing my car.

I would definitely refer Kemper Insurance to a friend. I have never had any issues with them whatsoever. Their claims handling process has been smooth, quick and efficient. Unlike with other companies, I don't see random drastic increases in my yearly premium. The service is great, the coverage is great, and the prices are really competitive. When I call in for questions or changes it gets taken care of quickly and all my questions are answered. The representatives and my agent are always friendly and informative when I speak with them. I plan to continue my insurance with Kemper Insurance, they have taken very good care of me as a client.

As an independent agent I can choose from a number of companies for my auto insurance and I have my auto insurance with Kemper. They have very good pricing for responsible drivers and an excellent overall product. They pay claims promptly for my customers and have not had any problems. In reading the reviews I can say many of the problems could have been avoided with a good agent working for the customer.

Had a rear end collision, my fault, of course. A great experience in an awful situation. Firstly I called claims, their first question was how was I. YEA! I was fine, thank you. They asked if I needed a car, unfortunately yes I did. They found a rental agency that would come and get me. Good idea as I had no transportation (ha). Within 2 days of my accident I was advised, by the adjuster, how long the repairs would take and they asked where I wanted my car to be repaired. It was as effortless as it could possibly be when damage is done. My car was already faster than expected and the car return was no problem.

I don't want another accident EVER, but if I had to say anything my Kemper Adjuster was there for me. She even sent a complete breakdown of what transpired when I asked for it. Excellent. I hear people at parties complain about how they were ** by their insurance company, but they can't really tell me how. They just say they didn't get enough money or it took too long. When I hear that I wonder how honest they were and if they followed through for the company, it was a give and take situation with paperwork and information for me. So, thank you for the excellent service and care I received. Really appreciated by this customer.

I have been a Kemper Preferred customer for almost 10 years. All my claims for me and my family have been handled very well. We have had multiple car claims, fence claims, boat claims, never an issue. I have been working with my Kemper Preferred agent for many years. He is an independent agent and could recommend multiple carriers but he sold me on the Kemper service. I don't have to deal with 800 numbers.

A while back I was changing banks and had to pay online versus automatic payments. In that process I learned that there are various Kemper companies. Kemper Preferred is different than Kemper Specialty. It is my understanding that Kemper Preferred is for those who have better credit scores and no accidents. Kemper Specialty is for those driver that have had a lot of claims or have had a lapse in coverage for none payment. I am someone who demands high customer service and I can say Kemper Preferred has never let me down.

This is my second term with Kemper, and they have been so disappointing. My fiancé and I were involved in an accident where a car t-boned us, and since their insurance limit was only $5000, we had to go with our own insurance to cover the damages of the cost. The accident happened on June 6, and it is July 1 today and they STILL do not know how much the damage of our car is worth (whether it's totaled or not). They told us in the first week that they should know by the next, so when we didn't receive a call from them, we called them and asked. They told us AGAIN that they should know by the following week, and AGAIN, they told us there was some miscommunication and so they cancelled the appraisal. I don't understand why there would even be a cancellation of the appraisal in a car accident. So again, they told us that we should know by next week.

I called them on Wednesday (June 29), and our claims officer (?) told us that they should know by the end of the day and she told ME to call HER for an update. So I told her, "No, you need to call us", so she agreed. It is now Friday (July 1), and she still did not call, so when I called, she was unreachable so I was transferred to another person, in which they said that the appraiser JUST received our car and that we should know by next Tuesday or Wednesday. Since we don't know if our car has been totaled or not, we don't know if we need to buy a new car or not, and so we've been paying out-of-pocket for a rental car since "we didn't opt for the rental reimbursement option" when we were never even told that there was such a thing.

Thankfully, the other driver's insurance may be able to reimburse us for the rentals. All in all, their claims department is a joke, and I can tell they do not consider their clients as a priority. They expect YOU to call and ask for updates, and their premiums aren't even that much cheaper than bigger insurance companies. I do NOT recommend Kemper insurance to ANYONE.

I currently have Kemper insurance on both of my household cars. I would like to acknowledge the great customer service that this insurance company has. They are always there when I need a question answered and are quick to respond. Great service overall. Highly recommend.

Tried to cancel the policy through customer service to be told I had to go through my agent. My agent never canceled the policy so I had to call customer service again to be told that it could be done through them. It was finally canceled though 2 months later I am still waiting on a $200 refund check that has supposedly been mailed 3 times! I was told by 2 representatives that the last check would be sent overnight though now being told that didn't happen. The senior underwriter, supposedly a supervisor, was extremely rude and unhelpful. When asked to speak to her boss I was sent to a voicemail. When I had a claim a year ago I had to wait for an adjuster and investigator for almost 1.5 months before my car was looked at. After that claim my insurance doubled at renewal for no real reason. I was able to get insurance through several other companies for a third of what I was paying with Kemper.

I have had Kemper auto/home insurance in a package deal for the past 5 years. I have made one claim ($2000) on my homeowners when my house was robbed 4 years ago. Otherwise I have never missed or been late on my payments. Last year my auto insurance doubled in price so I contacted my agent to find out if there was a cheaper/comparable auto plan since Kemper refused to lower the premium. She found a less expensive alternative (half) and we attempted to cancel my auto. She was told that because it was a package plan (loyal customer, yeah right) that I would have to cancel both plans. So I am now in the process of changing both policies and Kemper just lost another dissatisfied customer.

I was injured by a Kemper Client in a highway accident. I've been permanently injured and my business destroyed and my marriage of 32 years has to start over. After 4 years Kemper is being sued by a very competent legal team for millions of dollars in damages. Kemper is the worst insurance company I have ever seen and are the most unreliable when needing to get back on the road again. If you are injured they don't care and they will do anything they have to to not payout leaving you to pay for all damages. Kemper is a scam insurance company and is now being sued at the federal levels.

No fault accident claim - The accident happened yesterday, about 28 hours ago. I still have not heard from my claims adjuster. I called three times and left messages. I emailed twice. Still nothing. I have this damn insurance.

I was insured with Kemper for a few years. Always was unhappy with their service so eventually I got fed up and canceled it. Today I got a letter in the mail from them. Included with the letter was a check for $5.84... in the letter it said "Concerning your above referenced insurance policy: We recently discovered that the premium calculation on your auto policy included an incorrect fee charge. You will be receiving a refund of the cancellation fee, plus interest, soon. Please contact customer service" etc. So the original cancellation fee was almost $50 and according to their letter they would be sending the full amount "plus interest". When I called in to inquire I was met with attitude and they told me "$5.84 is all you're getting!" They encouraged me to take legal action against them and I told them I would just write bad reviews on every site I could as when I was insured I paid on time monthly and felt I didn't receive services I paid for.

Example. The last car accident I was in was caused by the driver behind me and I was rear ended. Kemper found me at fault for this and that's the final straw that led me to canceling my insurance policy with them. This is a terrible insurance company. I hope they go out of business because they are robbing people and getting away with it. Another instance I had with them was when my car was parked. I wasn't even in the vehicle and it was struck by a moving vehicle right in front of me. I was still found at fault. Kemper specialty is a scam from the word go. STAY AWAY! Save yourself the aggravation. The customer service representatives like to argue and they are very VERY difficult to deal with.

I recently got in an accident and had my 2016 BMW M3 taken to a highly reviewed collision center that specialized in high end cars like Ferrari, Bentley, BMW and McLaren. Kemper's adjusters met with them after the breakdown and the collision center deemed it a "structural total loss". Right after the collision center called me and told me about the damage and there is no proper way to fix the vehicle to original specifications. Then the adjuster called me two days later and said with my permission they would like to take my M3 from Tustin it to San Diego (87 miles away) to get a second opinion. I said "NO!" because the collision specialist told me that they highly recommend not to repair the structural damage.

I called the adjuster and the claim representative multiple times to get an update on my car. They never picked up or called back. I called the collision center to see what was going on and they told me that Kemper was picking up my car! Even after I said "NO!" I finally got a hold of another claim representative that "sat behind" my claim rep. She told me that they were taking my car to "get a second look".

I asked for the manager, got Robert's number and called him. After a few minutes of me explaining what was going. He told me that they want to "cut out a section of the structure and weld in new pieces." I then told him, "I don't feel comfortable driving a performance vehicle that has been structurally repaired". After that he become hostile and threatened me with arbitration-mediation and said, "It's going to cost you a lot of money" then I said I firmly stated for the record "NO". I will be fighting this and taking it to court if I have to. This company doesn't care about you or your safety. They want to make money and cut corners and spend less. Go with another company. Call me or email me if you have any questions or advice.

New year's eve a person insured by Kemper Auto Insurance hit the back of a truck so hard that he bounced over to my lane hitting my car, also causing it to jump sidewalk. Well first we hear nothing for 3 weeks and when we finally get the police report to send to them and they acknowledge they were indeed a 100% at fault. Everything seem to be going smooth when Felicia ** was working on the claim, then it went straight to hell when the case was passed to Maria **. Felicia called to update me about the change and said she would be giving me a call that day. Well of course you know that day really meant a week later.

When I got fed up waiting and called her only to be put on hold for 30 mins with nothing done until I called back again. Keep in mind when he hit my car my computer stuff inside the car start messing up, my seat belts won't lock anymore. And by jumping the sidewalk it cracked my rim, not to mention you use the signal light and the windshield wipers come on.

Took 2 weeks to hear back from them when I was told 3 days. Multiple emails and phone calls went unanswered. They totaled my car for $4K when I fixed it for $400, and it wasn't worth 2K. I had every agent telling me how they were going to bat for me, yet after being on hold, multiple complaints, and idiotic reception, I'll take the money and run, and ask for a refund of prepaid insurance, seeing as now my car doesn't benefit from full coverage.

I was rear ended by a Kemper Insurance client. I was at a stop light, and when the light turned green, I was about to go, when I was hit very hard by a big pickup truck, from behind. My car was a small two seater sports car with rear engine. The back was smashed in. The license plate was driven into the engine compartment. The engine light came on. I could drive it, but it sounded really bad. I took it to a highly rated local mechanic who has been my mechanic for 20+ years. He told me the muffler and catalytic converter were ripped off the engine. The engine mounts are cracked. The tail-lights are no longer made by any parts maker.

Short story, he says it is totaled. But Kemper sends an appraiser to the shop; she only looks at the outside body damage and gives an estimate of $2200, which is not even a fourth of the car's blue-book value. And that "offer" I dragged out of them after several weeks of calling them and asking them to deal with this and finally threatening to get a lawyer. If you are thinking to get insurance, think about what would happen if you make a mistake and cause someone else damage. Do you want your company insurance not to make themselves responsible for the damages, and possibly open you up to getting sued along with them? I hate the idea of getting a lawyer and starting a lawsuit, have never done it, but I see no other way out.

I've never had any issues dealing with a claim, which was only 2 times, when there was another company to bill a claim to. If you don't have someone to blame it on, RUN. This company is the absolute worst!

1) A giant traffic cone flew down the highway off of a city of Dallas truck causing wrecks and chaos. Instead of causing a wreck, the cone flew under the front of my car ripping off the front plate, knocking the bumper loose, and other pieces underneath the car. Called Kemper and they did the usuals, asked where I could take it to get fixed. Kemper told me I could take it to the shop, but they wanted an adjuster to look at it. I said this is pointless because an adjuster can't pick up my car to check underneath for damage. Kemper said they'd send someone just to see if I needed a rental car.

I waited for HOURS at a restaurant. Needing to go to work & pick up my child, I went ahead & took it to Honda. When I took it to Honda, they said Kemper closed the assignment so they couldn't look at it. They tried to call Kemper, but they were closed for the day. Honda said they couldn't look at it for a week anyway, but said it was safe to drive for now. They'd call to catch up with Kemper & let me know when I could bring it back. Weeks go by and nothing. Now, the front of my bumper is starting to fall off & drag the ground whenever it feels like it. Also, I'm told that $500 is my deductible, even though this is a flying object that hit MY car, and not a collision with a person or vehicle. And that my rental car may not be covered, per Honda.

Finally, after dealing with paperwork back & forth, my car is in the shop. After about a day, I find out it won't be $500, it's $264. Plus, I have to pay daily for rental car, plus I have to get a new license plate, oh but good news, "it won't go on your record because it's not over $500!" Per Honda. Anyway, I finally swallow the cost to fix my car & find out its going to be a couple more days for parts to come in. Kemper was being a B about dealing with Honda & Enterprise for the rental. Not returning phone calls and such. Kemper asks me about the rental & I have called them several times about my rental. They pay only $20/day. Which was a crap shoot & a pain to grind out anyway.

After talking to Kim, Cindy, Vicky & every other rude csr at Kemper, Supervisor says she will look into it. So Enterprise calls me and asks if Kemper is covering the rental car. I'm like hell if I know? That's not my job. Why don't you call them. "Well, they're not responding." FIGURES. This happened on 9/30 & it's now 11/17. Enterprise calls & says, "Hey, we're charging you $93 because Kemper decided not to cover your car rental. Sorry." I asked why all of a sudden? "We normally don't keep claims open for more than 5 days, but we couldn't get an answer from them, but they finally said no to covering yours." I emailed my 'rep' Kim to find out why they won't cover it when they said they would.

I was already out of pocket, when apparently you can file a claim like this with the city, but the idiots at Kemper don't give a crap about the truth or actually HELPING their customers. I want to know why they are rude, inconsiderate, incompetent and charging monthly fees? Because they do not know how to do their jobs correctly. I've had to do all the work on this claim & pay for it. PIECE OF CRAP COMPANY!!!

2) Hit a giant pothole on the hwy on the way to work. 5pm. I call Kemper in a panic to get any kind of help or advice. The girl said, "Well, I don't know? Do you want an adjuster to come or a tow truck?" Ok, I'm at work from 5-10pm over an hour away from my house. She says the adjuster can come tomorrow. HELLO **, I won't be here tomorrow. She didn't know what to say. Anytime I asked a question, she said, "I don't know." She got some other woman on 3way and all she could do was say, "It'll be $55 for them to come look at it tomorrow. I don't have access to your information so it'll cost you. You can get a tow truck for a charge." I ended up driving on a tire that was a giant bubble & I was terrified it dented my rim. Later found out that I could've again called the city. These people do not need to be open & operating!!! Worst company ever!

Prompt responses to claims and fair response to claims. I have had them for over 20 years and have no complaints. The agency I use is very helpful and responds quickly. They also insure my house under an umbrella policy and there is no difference in how they respond.

OK I had an accident in 2012 while covered under their company. I was required to provide the state with further proof which was requested of this company. They never sent proof, now I am suspended and have been calling for several days and get no response. I spoke directly with a supervisor on Monday and she promised to call me back on Tuesday AM but never called me. I have been calling her a bunch of times but keep getting sent to her voicemail. I requested to speak to another supervisor and they flat out refused to transfer me to another person. They were supposed to pay for the other persons vehicle damage which they didn't so now the state is requiring me to pay damages and fee on top of fee. I am on the verge of losing my job which I have worked at for 6 years because I live in an area without public transportation and nobody is able to drive me to and from work. Do not use this company unless you enjoy additional problems.

Kemper would insure me at a very good rate. They recognized that the three horrible accidents that totaled three different cars in less than 6 months were not my fault. Yet my other insurance company tripled my rates! My agent, who works at Associated Insurance Marketing in Loveland, CO, found Kemper for me and it was a lifesaver.

It's very affordable and very reliable. I will probably never use another Insurance company. I am extremely satisfied. Why downgrade? It also helps that on top of all that the staff is super friendly.

Kemper - Auto Company Profile