Kemper - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Too bad there is no such thing as a 0 star. I was rear ended by one of their clients. I called them estimate for 3500 in hand during business hours to which they required pictures for their estimate. They didn't even pay attention to the notes I attached when they conducted their estimate. They claimed damages were only 1900 leaving over half the parts needed to fix my car out. It took me 4 phone calls and 5 more days for them to send an agent out after they got images from their adjuster. My car was totaled out.

I did as they said and was told they would overnight the check to me when the title and car were signed over. Call to check and make sure it's processed and the check would be overnighted. They claim it’s after hours at both places when I'm standing in the office of Copart and on the phone with Kemper. The next day I call to get the check overnighted and they tell me I won't have the check for 5 more days. Meanwhile I'm sitting with no car and I work as a delivery driver for a living losing my income. The Better Business Bureau should shut this crappy company down for fraud, false advertisement and absolutely horrible business practices.

Has to be the WORST I have ever encountered. I am NOT their customer, however I am the unfortunate receiving end of having my car totaled by one of their insured. While they were not terrible in the beginning, if you have any sort of question regarding their practices and the adjuster doesn't want to discuss. THEY HANG UP on you. I ask to speak to a supervisor, THEY HANG UP on you. What type of business does that? Seriously, Mr. Albert **, your GOD complex is way over the top. I would like to speak to YOUR BOSS.

My car was stolen in Los Angles in early December 2016. The car was stolen to LAPD and was recovered by Oakland PD. It is now March 10, 2017, and my claim has still not been paid. I have complied with every request from Kemper/Alliance. I have provided every documentation requested by Kemper/Alliance. Even after my claim was turned over for a "special investigation," I provided the necessary information in order for my claim to be processed and paid. However, it seems as though Kemper/Alliance is doing everything that they can not to pay out my claim. The claim adjuster barely, if ever, return calls in regards to my claim. During this process, the tow company in Oakland sold my car, without my permission.

The claims adjuster told me that I would not be paid the full value of my car because Kemper/Alliance was not in possession of my car. He stated that the "salvage cost" would be deducted from the final payout. I asked why the car wouldn't be treated as an unrecovered vehicle and I receive the total payout for my car. He told me that I personally would have to sue the tow company that sold my car. I have provided receipts for my rental car and has custom equipment on my car. None of these factors have been included, to my knowledge, in the payout of my car; because I have not received any information from the claims adjuster that my claim will in fact be paid or how it will be paid.

This is the WORST insurance company I have ever had to deal with my in my life. They have tried to do everything possible to not pay this claim. I'm three months into this process even after the car was recovered almost immediately after it was stolen. The money you might save from a more competitively priced insurance policy is not worth the aggravation incurred if or when you have to actually file a claim with this company. The only time I have heard of claim taking this long to be paid is when there is an accident and there are injuries or a civil suit filed. I will never again in my life do business with this company. I encourage any and everyone who is considering using Kemper/Alliance as their auto insurance company, to please stay away and do not use them.

DON'T get Kemper. They have been absolutely terrible with my auto insurance from day 1! I spoke with a representative, Christina **, who was a pleasure to talk with. I switch my insurance from American Family because they offered a lower payment. Come the first month bill, I find out that I was lied to about my monthly payment. They switched my payment plan without informing me or my consent! When I called to speak with Christina, she continued to tell me that I was wrong and Kemper was not over charging me. We solved the issue after talked for what felt like forever, just to see that the next month my insurance was raised even higher!!!

I called to cancel my insurance to go back to American Family (I've been with them for years and they are a very trustworthy company) just to receive a bill in the mail 2 MONTHS later telling me that I owe $125 for cancelling my policy! I wasn't informed about this charge at all. I called to speak with Christina and she was out at the time. I left a message and was told she would get back to me shortly, and I STILL haven't heard back. I'm and very unsatisfied with Kemper altogether, especially with the lies and them thinking it is okay to change my policy WITHOUT my consent. I agreed to go through Kemper on terms we spoke about in the beginning, and all I did was get lied and cheated. I don't recommend anyone using Kemper for any sort of insurance. They are the absolute worst company and a huge waste of money.

I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with them when a client of their auto insurance hit my car while I was stopped at a red light. My insurance dealt with them and they sent me a check for my deductible after everything was said and done. I cash the check to only find out that it bounced a few days later. STAY AWAY! Thank God I don't use them for anything and I pity the people that get suckered by them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM. They will do anything just to get your money. I got into an accident and it took them two months for them to pay the auto shop. I couldn't get my car until they pay the auto shop. The auto shop called me and complained about Kemper, saying they are very slow and are one of the worse insurance they have work with. Yes the auto shop complained about them and were very angry at them.

When it comes to reminding you to pay for your monthly insurance, Kemper is hella fast about it, remind you to pay on time or else they will charge you. That's how fast they can get your money but when you try to reasons why they are taking forever to pay for your car fit. They make excuses. They don't care about how you feel during your accident, they don't care about anybody who got in the car accident with you too. They only want your money. If you want an insurance who cares about you, help you and trust you then Kemper is not the insurance for you. After my accident and the two months after I got my car, I immediately left them. My family and friends also left them too. Worse insurance ever!!!

Stay away! I wish I had read reviews of this company before getting renter's insurance with them. I signed up with them, but I soon realized that the coverage was much higher than other renter's insurance policies. I bought a policy with a different company, and let Kemper know that I intended to let my paid in full policy expire. A month after the policy expired I received a letter that said Kemper was going to turn me into a collection agency for a portion of the policy which had not been paid. The bill was $15. I am now waiting to find out what this bill is considering the policy was completely paid for (I've been waiting on the phone for over 30 minutes now). This company wants to try to ruin my credit over $15 which I do not owe in the first place. I intend to turn them into my state attorney general consumer protection division, and I suggest that anyone who experiences similar issues to do the same.

We moved our home insurance and the auto on our 4 cars to Kemper from Liberty Mutual. God forbid if you hit a raccoon and need to file a claim. I had to hound them on the phone and through email. Took nearly a week to get an adjuster sent to look at the damages, then another week to hear ANYTHING from them about what they were doing. The only time I received service is when I persisted to contact them demanding help.

This coupled with them canceling the homeowners insurance a week after we got the policy stating they made a mistake and do not cover homes in our area due to their rural nature. Not like the house up and relocated it after I spent a month going back and forth with them to get the policy. Save yourself the frustration. Go with anyone BUT Kemper. And if you are with them I pray you never have to interact with customer service. Every rep I had was rude, one started yelling at me and after I asked them to speak in a civil manner put me on an extensive hold and came back and was very short and abrupt.

I got a policy through an insurance brokerage. The rates were high however I needed insurance while I shopped better rates. I explained this to the agent who told me if I found better rates and they could not be matched by the insurer the policy could be canceled. Lo and behold after in the next month I found a better rate. I called the insurance company well before my overpriced payment was due. I signed the cancellation and was assured I owed nothing by the broker as Kemper told me I could not cancel it through them. Nearly 3 months later I get a collection notice of an arbitrary amount from Kemper . No prior notice, no phone calls to explain why they would take such action.

I would give it a zero star if I could. 2/12/2016 was when policy started. We canceled on 3/23/2016. We got notice that the refund premium will be calculated but instead they billed us $106 which includes $50 cancellation fee that they never mentioned. They never sent a bill to us and we could not log into our account to see the bills. They sent it to collection. My son had paid the balance and when I just called them the underwriter asked me if I wanted to pay the balance due. Are you serious? Balance is zero now... Stay away from this company.

I've had Kemper since 1997. Same house. Same everything. The only claim I had was 6 years ago for a hail damaged roof. For some reason Kemper increased my rate by over $2000 (yearly) this past summer. I didn't catch it until my mortgage payment suddenly increased by $250 a month. It turned out to be because the insurance had increased so much. Kemper had my house insured for three times what it is worth. I shopped around and obtained three quotes from three different companies. All were lower than what I had been paying prior to the increase.

So I went with State Farm and am paying less than half of what Kemper was charging. Not sure what is going on with Kemper, but it was really hard to get them to honor my agent's request to cancel. I guess in this day and time, customer loyalty is no longer a factor with many insurance companies and they believe once you are a customer they can simply keep increasing the rates and you will not notice. We will need to shop around for home and auto insurance on a yearly basis until this nonsense settles down.

Their adjuster filed a claim without first gathering evidence and justified certain illegal acts on a recorded phone call. When it was revealed the other party was under police investigation for a scam, they tried to cover it up. It isn't worth saving money here. They're cheap because they are incompetent and crooked.

I am an Insurance Agent in the South Suburbs of Chicago. One of my longtime clients had had an accident involving a deer in the early morning going up to the Northern Suburbs to her office. She was so rattled from the accident and couldn't drive her vehicle. Not only did the claims adjuster immediately put her into a rental car, they picked her up and got her back to her day within an hour 1/2 of the incident without a hiccup. My client had said that she's never had a company that was so caring towards their customers at the time of a loss but she really appreciates having Kemper now more than ever. It's times like those that I know having Kemper in my Agency is one of the best things that I can do for my clients.

I have worked with Kemper for many years and always found them to be helpful in all matters.

I have had Kemper insurance for several year now and have nothing but good things to say. Someone smashed a window on my vehicle. I called Kemper and they set up an appointment to have it replaced, with no cost to me. A few years ago there was a huge winter storm and I have over $20,000 worth of damage. Kemper was quick to come out and look at the damage and was also very fast in sending claim check for me to have all repairs I needed fixed. Whenever I needed Kemper, they have always been there, without any hesitation. Great company.

Have you heard that some insurance companies knowing withhold death payments from beneficiaries? And Kemper is one of them. There have been suits filed by numerous state insurance boards against these companies. Some have been settled, some are in negotiations, and only one (KEMPER) has refused to even negotiate. BEWARE OF BUYING A LIFE INSURANCE POLICY FROM KEMPER.

Hey, the people buy your insurance is suck. Over a month no one contact me. I try to call many times then you answer and then you promise call me back but NEVER. And u also send me a mail that "we try contact you but can't. You may not interested in this... " How stupid is that . If your guys still human do the right thing. Pay for fixing my car.

I would definitely refer Kemper Insurance to a friend. I have never had any issues with them whatsoever. Their claims handling process has been smooth, quick and efficient. Unlike with other companies, I don't see random drastic increases in my yearly premium. The service is great, the coverage is great, and the prices are really competitive. When I call in for questions or changes it gets taken care of quickly and all my questions are answered. The representatives and my agent are always friendly and informative when I speak with them. I plan to continue my insurance with Kemper Insurance, they have taken very good care of me as a client.

As an independent agent I can choose from a number of companies for my auto insurance and I have my auto insurance with Kemper. They have very good pricing for responsible drivers and an excellent overall product. They pay claims promptly for my customers and have not had any problems. In reading the reviews I can say many of the problems could have been avoided with a good agent working for the customer.

Had a rear end collision, my fault, of course. A great experience in an awful situation. Firstly I called claims, their first question was how was I. YEA! I was fine, thank you. They asked if I needed a car, unfortunately yes I did. They found a rental agency that would come and get me. Good idea as I had no transportation (ha). Within 2 days of my accident I was advised, by the adjuster, how long the repairs would take and they asked where I wanted my car to be repaired. It was as effortless as it could possibly be when damage is done. My car was already faster than expected and the car return was no problem.

I don't want another accident EVER, but if I had to say anything my Kemper Adjuster was there for me. She even sent a complete breakdown of what transpired when I asked for it. Excellent. I hear people at parties complain about how they were ** by their insurance company, but they can't really tell me how. They just say they didn't get enough money or it took too long. When I hear that I wonder how honest they were and if they followed through for the company, it was a give and take situation with paperwork and information for me. So, thank you for the excellent service and care I received. Really appreciated by this customer.

I have been a Kemper Preferred customer for almost 10 years. All my claims for me and my family have been handled very well. We have had multiple car claims, fence claims, boat claims, never an issue. I have been working with my Kemper Preferred agent for many years. He is an independent agent and could recommend multiple carriers but he sold me on the Kemper service. I don't have to deal with 800 numbers.

A while back I was changing banks and had to pay online versus automatic payments. In that process I learned that there are various Kemper companies. Kemper Preferred is different than Kemper Specialty. It is my understanding that Kemper Preferred is for those who have better credit scores and no accidents. Kemper Specialty is for those driver that have had a lot of claims or have had a lapse in coverage for none payment. I am someone who demands high customer service and I can say Kemper Preferred has never let me down.

This is my second term with Kemper, and they have been so disappointing. My fiancé and I were involved in an accident where a car t-boned us, and since their insurance limit was only $5000, we had to go with our own insurance to cover the damages of the cost. The accident happened on June 6, and it is July 1 today and they STILL do not know how much the damage of our car is worth (whether it's totaled or not). They told us in the first week that they should know by the next, so when we didn't receive a call from them, we called them and asked. They told us AGAIN that they should know by the following week, and AGAIN, they told us there was some miscommunication and so they cancelled the appraisal. I don't understand why there would even be a cancellation of the appraisal in a car accident. So again, they told us that we should know by next week.

I called them on Wednesday (June 29), and our claims officer (?) told us that they should know by the end of the day and she told ME to call HER for an update. So I told her, "No, you need to call us", so she agreed. It is now Friday (July 1), and she still did not call, so when I called, she was unreachable so I was transferred to another person, in which they said that the appraiser JUST received our car and that we should know by next Tuesday or Wednesday. Since we don't know if our car has been totaled or not, we don't know if we need to buy a new car or not, and so we've been paying out-of-pocket for a rental car since "we didn't opt for the rental reimbursement option" when we were never even told that there was such a thing.

Thankfully, the other driver's insurance may be able to reimburse us for the rentals. All in all, their claims department is a joke, and I can tell they do not consider their clients as a priority. They expect YOU to call and ask for updates, and their premiums aren't even that much cheaper than bigger insurance companies. I do NOT recommend Kemper insurance to ANYONE.

I currently have Kemper insurance on both of my household cars. I would like to acknowledge the great customer service that this insurance company has. They are always there when I need a question answered and are quick to respond. Great service overall. Highly recommend.

Tried to cancel the policy through customer service to be told I had to go through my agent. My agent never canceled the policy so I had to call customer service again to be told that it could be done through them. It was finally canceled though 2 months later I am still waiting on a $200 refund check that has supposedly been mailed 3 times! I was told by 2 representatives that the last check would be sent overnight though now being told that didn't happen. The senior underwriter, supposedly a supervisor, was extremely rude and unhelpful. When asked to speak to her boss I was sent to a voicemail. When I had a claim a year ago I had to wait for an adjuster and investigator for almost 1.5 months before my car was looked at. After that claim my insurance doubled at renewal for no real reason. I was able to get insurance through several other companies for a third of what I was paying with Kemper.

I have had Kemper auto/home insurance in a package deal for the past 5 years. I have made one claim ($2000) on my homeowners when my house was robbed 4 years ago. Otherwise I have never missed or been late on my payments. Last year my auto insurance doubled in price so I contacted my agent to find out if there was a cheaper/comparable auto plan since Kemper refused to lower the premium. She found a less expensive alternative (half) and we attempted to cancel my auto. She was told that because it was a package plan (loyal customer, yeah right) that I would have to cancel both plans. So I am now in the process of changing both policies and Kemper just lost another dissatisfied customer.

I was injured by a Kemper Client in a highway accident. I've been permanently injured and my business destroyed and my marriage of 32 years has to start over. After 4 years Kemper is being sued by a very competent legal team for millions of dollars in damages. Kemper is the worst insurance company I have ever seen and are the most unreliable when needing to get back on the road again. If you are injured they don't care and they will do anything they have to to not payout leaving you to pay for all damages. Kemper is a scam insurance company and is now being sued at the federal levels.

No fault accident claim - The accident happened yesterday, about 28 hours ago. I still have not heard from my claims adjuster. I called three times and left messages. I emailed twice. Still nothing. I have this damn insurance.

I was insured with Kemper for a few years. Always was unhappy with their service so eventually I got fed up and canceled it. Today I got a letter in the mail from them. Included with the letter was a check for $5.84... in the letter it said "Concerning your above referenced insurance policy: We recently discovered that the premium calculation on your auto policy included an incorrect fee charge. You will be receiving a refund of the cancellation fee, plus interest, soon. Please contact customer service" etc. So the original cancellation fee was almost $50 and according to their letter they would be sending the full amount "plus interest". When I called in to inquire I was met with attitude and they told me "$5.84 is all you're getting!" They encouraged me to take legal action against them and I told them I would just write bad reviews on every site I could as when I was insured I paid on time monthly and felt I didn't receive services I paid for.

Example. The last car accident I was in was caused by the driver behind me and I was rear ended. Kemper found me at fault for this and that's the final straw that led me to canceling my insurance policy with them. This is a terrible insurance company. I hope they go out of business because they are robbing people and getting away with it. Another instance I had with them was when my car was parked. I wasn't even in the vehicle and it was struck by a moving vehicle right in front of me. I was still found at fault. Kemper specialty is a scam from the word go. STAY AWAY! Save yourself the aggravation. The customer service representatives like to argue and they are very VERY difficult to deal with.

I recently got in an accident and had my 2016 BMW M3 taken to a highly reviewed collision center that specialized in high end cars like Ferrari, Bentley, BMW and McLaren. Kemper's adjusters met with them after the breakdown and the collision center deemed it a "structural total loss". Right after the collision center called me and told me about the damage and there is no proper way to fix the vehicle to original specifications. Then the adjuster called me two days later and said with my permission they would like to take my M3 from Tustin it to San Diego (87 miles away) to get a second opinion. I said "NO!" because the collision specialist told me that they highly recommend not to repair the structural damage.

I called the adjuster and the claim representative multiple times to get an update on my car. They never picked up or called back. I called the collision center to see what was going on and they told me that Kemper was picking up my car! Even after I said "NO!" I finally got a hold of another claim representative that "sat behind" my claim rep. She told me that they were taking my car to "get a second look".

I asked for the manager, got Robert's number and called him. After a few minutes of me explaining what was going. He told me that they want to "cut out a section of the structure and weld in new pieces." I then told him, "I don't feel comfortable driving a performance vehicle that has been structurally repaired". After that he become hostile and threatened me with arbitration-mediation and said, "It's going to cost you a lot of money" then I said I firmly stated for the record "NO". I will be fighting this and taking it to court if I have to. This company doesn't care about you or your safety. They want to make money and cut corners and spend less. Go with another company. Call me or email me if you have any questions or advice.

New year's eve a person insured by Kemper Auto Insurance hit the back of a truck so hard that he bounced over to my lane hitting my car, also causing it to jump sidewalk. Well first we hear nothing for 3 weeks and when we finally get the police report to send to them and they acknowledge they were indeed a 100% at fault. Everything seem to be going smooth when Felicia ** was working on the claim, then it went straight to hell when the case was passed to Maria **. Felicia called to update me about the change and said she would be giving me a call that day. Well of course you know that day really meant a week later.

When I got fed up waiting and called her only to be put on hold for 30 mins with nothing done until I called back again. Keep in mind when he hit my car my computer stuff inside the car start messing up, my seat belts won't lock anymore. And by jumping the sidewalk it cracked my rim, not to mention you use the signal light and the windshield wipers come on.

Kemper - Auto Company Profile