2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

Kemper sells many types of insurance, including auto insurance.

BOTTOM LINE

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance to 26 states. Most customers who have switched to this company claim to have saved 20% on their insurance premiums. Many customers are also happy with their claims experience. The company carries basic and customized insurance packages and high-risk policies that other companies do not offer.

PROS

• Insurance enhancements to Protect Your Wallet, Protect Your Sanity and Protect Your Family
  • High-risk policies
  • Competitive rates compared to big brands
  • A wide selection of discounts, such as referral, married couple, loyalty and senior discounts
  • Easy online quote process

CONS

• Not all vehicle brands and models covered
  • Limited availability statewide

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Kemper - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: March 18, 2020

On 7/27/19, I was impacted from the back and I hit the front car, my car got totaled, I was in pain and still having issues regarding the injury but I decided to treat myself at home after my therapies at Kaiser canceled my second appointment and wasted my time waiting for him. The accident wasn't my fault, I lost the new car I just bought. My insurance Mercury paid the bank and cashed it and I ended owing 5k to the bank for that car because Mercury didn't cover all. Anyway, the Insurance of the person rear-ended me (Alliance/Kemper) is giving me bs to pay my bodily injuries and lost wages claim for missing work. I am a contractor so I don't get paid if I don't work. I provided the medical records and my client's notes, explaining I was absent from work because of the accident and profit and loss statement. However, Alliance/Kemper is saying that the information is not specific enough and denying part of the claim.

I do agree that the doctor's note and records are very vague, but it is all I have. Regardless, I see now that this is the way Alliance/ Kemper does business. I have been talking to Kaiser about the medical records so I got directed to third-party liability insurance called Equian that supposedly takes care of all this. However, I just checked and Equian has terrible reviews just like Alliance/Kemper. So I have no expectations. I do not believe I should have to hire an attorney for 17 days of lost wages. My adjuster for Alliance/Kemper is Diana ** and her Supervisor is Nicolas **. Both very unprofessional and misleading. I will update to let you know the results.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

One of Kemper's insured rear ended my car on 2/17/2020, causing about $1500 in damages. Their driver received a citation. Numerous calls and messages to Kemper go unanswered as of 2/25/2020. I can't imagine anyone buying insurance from them. I will probably have to take their driver to small claims court to get reimbursed.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I just switched to Kemper from Mercury & already regret it. My auto insurance policy was to have taken effect 2/1/2020. By this date, I had paid the entire annual premium & received my insurance cards. All is well and good, right? Wrong. Kemper sent me an email on 2/18/2020 stating, "We need you to sign this page of your policy". Why wait until after you've collected the ENTIRE premium & mailed out a policy card to ask for me to sign the rest? For that policy to be effective, it must first be signed by the subscriber, i.e. me.

Here I thought I was covered when in effect, had I been stopped by a law enforcement agency for an infraction from 2/1/2020 to 2/18/2020 (I signed the final page today, i.e. 2/19/2020), either my car would have been impounded or I would have been cited as the final signature had not been collected. All this could have been avoided had Kemper simply advised me, "We cannot send your official insurance card or accept payment on this policy until you e-sign this page". That being said, they do not like doing any work. Any request is met with either a "Go through your agency/broker" or your call being disconnected (odds are they do it on purpose).

I feel Kemper misled me into thinking my policy was finalized, yet not all signatures were collected so therefore the contract (i.e. policy) was therefore unenforceable. I'll without question change carriers once my current policy ends in February/2021. I've had at least four auto insurance carriers (Kemper included) and Kemper is the ONLY one that placed me in a position of essentially driving around uninsured for nearly a month. Avoid Kemper at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Five months ago my son's car was totaled by a driver of a car covered by Infinity (Kemper). Despite a police report that clearly states that the Kemper driver was at fault, the claims agent has found every way possible to avoid us. The most frustrating way is that when you call there is only a voicemail available or worse a full voicemail so no message can be left. In 5 months of over 30 calls from us to Kemper, only 5 have been returned. The most recent is stating that the Kemper covered driver's policy won't cover the driver because she couldn't produce a license at the scene of the crash (she was drunk).

Since we started asking to see that policy, there have been no return calls or response. I am sure they are hoping we will go away. Since my son worked hard to buy his first car and we only had it covered with liability insurance, we are not going to go away! It is very hard to see a big company like this make every effort to steal/rob from a 21 year old who is trying to make his way by working hard. I can see why all the reviews are only 1 star. I would give less if I could.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I had recently purchased a vehicle and was renting previous to purchasing this vehicle. Therefore I did not have current private auto insurance. In order to obtain insurance quickly, (it was a Friday evening approximately 7:30), I foolishly accepted a ‘referral’ through another company that steered me to Kemper Insurance, a company that was previously unknown to me. A few weeks after purchasing the vehicle, I changed loan companies and needed to change the name of the lien holder on the insurance policy and phoned Kemper. I was put on hold per their voicemail; I waited 47 minutes for a live representative to come on the line.

My intention was initially to quickly update my info and move on with my day but because of the unbelievably long hold time, lack of apology for the wait by the rep, and general dissatisfaction when I was informed that the wait time was not unusual, by this point I decided to cancel my new policy. My thought was that if this company keeps its clients waiting nearly one hour to speak with them when I only need to update my information, I can’t imagine what sort of hell handling a claim awaits me should I ever need to file one.

The representative said there will be a $50 charge. That is approximately 20% of the cost of my monthly premium. I politely requested the fee waived due to my new policy and the excessive wait time etcetera, but was told there would be no exception. I cancelled my policy due to poor customer service and was charged for that poor service. All I can say is: Buyer Beware! In the meantime, I will make it my mission to let anyone and everyone know that unless there are absolutely no alternative insurance companies available, do not do business with Kemper. I have been driving/insured since 1977 and have never had a worse insurance experience. If “0” stars were an option, well you get the idea... Thanks for reading my review.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

So here is just update to my previous review. I added a star because they paid off my lien holder. The check I received was cut Dec 26 and my title loan paid off completely approx the day after. On the agreed amount of compensation; my ex told me the check difference I received was a lot lower than the agreed upon. So looks like we are still fighting to get this resolved since my car was hit in October and here we are in January.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Updated on 01/16/2020: Update on my last review. My car has been sitting at the auto shop for week now. Auto body been waiting for approval for repairs, so I figured I would call to see what the hold up is. Well to find out my claims rep no longer works for the company and now I need to talk to a the supervisor.

Original Review: My car was hit in July 2019. Very poor, lack of communication. Never return calls or emails. No auto repairs where I live will deal with Kemper. They only estimate my damage at $309 and some change. It took over a month to get a check. I had to call to get the copy of estimate. This place is a nightmare and I'm finally getting my car fixed 6 months later. The worst company ever!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I was hit by an alliance/Kemper driver on 10/29. The claims rep contacted me and I was able to submit pictures. The last time I was able to speak to anyone was nov. 4th. I sent emails and left many unanswered voicemails. I was only contacted after submitting a claim to the insurance department of California. Even after being contacted by the department, they attempted to place the blame on me. Something about the first check being sent to the wrong address and they put a stop on it. I was never contacted to be made aware of this and I received the first check but did not receive the second check they claimed they sent. It’s been over a month and I’m almost going to get my car back. Total nightmare and unneeded stress.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

This is by far one of the WORSE insurances I've had. They are useless, absolutely no help whatsoever. Nov. 4th my car was hit while in my driveway by a careless driver, after weeks of going back and forth with them they stated that the estimated damage to my vehicle was under my deductible and there was nothing they could do for me (they estimated damages at $501).. I then took my car to a few body shops and the LOWEST estimate I got for my damage was $981! I've left multiple messages with them as well as emails and still have not heard anything back... I am in the process of small claims court now. Kemper is a huge headache and a POS scam company. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. Save your self the problems.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I first started almost 1 year ago with Kemper. I highly DO NOT recommend, they are charging me more and more each month, my policy start at 187: then went up to 287: Now it’s 345, I’m done with Kemper and turning them in to BBB.

Kemper - Auto Company Information