2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance, nonstandard policies and various discounts in 26 states. It carries basic and customized coverage packages and policies for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. The company provides pet protection and accident forgiveness options, but its specialty coverage is available only in California.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Kemper - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

My parked car was hit by a Kemper/Infinity insured driver on 11/30/2020. It is now 12/18/2020, and I have had no movement on this claim. This is the most unprofessional organization I have ever dealt with. How are they still licensed to do business? Please explain. The claims rep for my incident, Gabriel **, is non-responsive, and his manager, Anthony **, is just as impotent. Supposedly, they mailed a check, but hence, where is this Ghost Check? I have not received it. The Better Business Bureau needs to step in. I need my vehicle fixed, but at this point, it isn't looking good. They don't even offer to pay for a rental car until after-the-fact, so who knows if you'll ever get reimbursed by these morons. I'm guessing you don't need a GED to work for this company. I don't understand how this company can be allowed to STEAL/CHEAT all of these individuals. Look at all of these reviews!!!! Doesn't this tell you something. My God!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I recently had the misfortune of colliding with a car that entered the road from a parking lot without stopping. Kemper contacted me immediately after receiving the accident report, supplying the contact information of the collision- and medical adjuster. Both adjusters were extremely helpful and caring in their support!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Hello. On Wednesday, October 21st a young woman backed into my home. She damaged the structure of the side of my home and dented the garage door. My home is only four years old. I cannot open my garage door therefore rendering it unusable and my car has to be parked on the street. I contacted Infinity/Kemper Insurance on the same day. It took two days for someone to respond to my claim. Once someone returned my call it took another week for me to connect to a claim presentative (I had to seek them out on my own no help from the company). Once I connected with him and received a claim number I was informed that someone (an adjustor) would be contacting me to set up an appointment to come look at the damage their insured driver did to my home.

In the meantime I sent pictures of the damage. It has been two weeks and no adjustor has called or come out to my home. It's been three weeks since the accident. Has anyone had any issues with this company's lack or response and horrible customer service? I need my home to be repaired as the weather will be taking a turn for the worse in the upcoming winter months. Also, I would like to have access my garage. Is it normal for a company to take this long to respond?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I was hit by a driver that is covered by Kemper Auto. They are refusing to cover all of the damages caused by the wreck. They have dragged this out for months. It took almost a full month to hear any information from the appraiser regarding a supplemental that was sent in by my auto body shop. The only reason we received any answer was because I personally contacted the appraiser's boss because the appraiser himself couldn't be bothered to do his job. Don't expect your car to be fully repaired if anything does happen to you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

DO NOT USE THIS INSURANCE COMPANY!!!! I plan to report them to the Better Business Bureau!!!! This is the most unprofessional, sneaky, incompetent companyI have ever dealt with!!!! I am having so much trouble with them that I may have to call an accident lawyer. They may be inexpensive but the minute you actually have an accident you can forget getting any assistance.

Just to start, I had an accident on a Friday and reported it to claims department. I was told I would receive a call by Tuesday of the next week. As of Friday I still had not heard from them and I tried to call numerous times but could not get any help from anyone not to mention the recorded message that just kept repeating over and over again.

They didn't come out for an estimate of my vehicle, After my Auto mechanic finally was able to speak with someone they gave him an incorrect email to send the pictures of the damage. They don't cover the rental until after the repairs have been done. They do this because they don't have any sense of urgency in getting the repairs taken care of. Meanwhile it has been almost two and a half weeks and I have still not been able to get in contact with MY CLAIMS ADJUSTER!!!! I can't even begin to tell you what crooks they are!!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! They also go by the name of Alliance and also Infinity.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

My father was severely injured by a driver covered by Kemper Auto. Kemper Auto denied the claim stating that their driver was not covered for the bodily injury claim, even if the driver was completely at fault and minimum coverage in California requires that the driver have 15k/30k for bodily injury. If Kemper cannot cover bodily injury, what do they cover? Kemper is operating under false pretense under California Insurance laws.

Original review: March 18, 2020

On 7/27/19, I was impacted from the back and I hit the front car, my car got totaled, I was in pain and still having issues regarding the injury but I decided to treat myself at home after my therapies at Kaiser canceled my second appointment and wasted my time waiting for him. The accident wasn't my fault, I lost the new car I just bought. My insurance Mercury paid the bank and cashed it and I ended owing 5k to the bank for that car because Mercury didn't cover all. Anyway, the Insurance of the person rear-ended me (Alliance/Kemper) is giving me bs to pay my bodily injuries and lost wages claim for missing work. I am a contractor so I don't get paid if I don't work. I provided the medical records and my client's notes, explaining I was absent from work because of the accident and profit and loss statement. However, Alliance/Kemper is saying that the information is not specific enough and denying part of the claim.

I do agree that the doctor's note and records are very vague, but it is all I have. Regardless, I see now that this is the way Alliance/ Kemper does business. I have been talking to Kaiser about the medical records so I got directed to third-party liability insurance called Equian that supposedly takes care of all this. However, I just checked and Equian has terrible reviews just like Alliance/Kemper. So I have no expectations. I do not believe I should have to hire an attorney for 17 days of lost wages. My adjuster for Alliance/Kemper is Diana ** and her Supervisor is Nicolas **. Both very unprofessional and misleading. I will update to let you know the results.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

One of Kemper's insured rear ended my car on 2/17/2020, causing about $1500 in damages. Their driver received a citation. Numerous calls and messages to Kemper go unanswered as of 2/25/2020. I can't imagine anyone buying insurance from them. I will probably have to take their driver to small claims court to get reimbursed.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I just switched to Kemper from Mercury & already regret it. My auto insurance policy was to have taken effect 2/1/2020. By this date, I had paid the entire annual premium & received my insurance cards. All is well and good, right? Wrong. Kemper sent me an email on 2/18/2020 stating, "We need you to sign this page of your policy". Why wait until after you've collected the ENTIRE premium & mailed out a policy card to ask for me to sign the rest? For that policy to be effective, it must first be signed by the subscriber, i.e. me.

Here I thought I was covered when in effect, had I been stopped by a law enforcement agency for an infraction from 2/1/2020 to 2/18/2020 (I signed the final page today, i.e. 2/19/2020), either my car would have been impounded or I would have been cited as the final signature had not been collected. All this could have been avoided had Kemper simply advised me, "We cannot send your official insurance card or accept payment on this policy until you e-sign this page". That being said, they do not like doing any work. Any request is met with either a "Go through your agency/broker" or your call being disconnected (odds are they do it on purpose).

I feel Kemper misled me into thinking my policy was finalized, yet not all signatures were collected so therefore the contract (i.e. policy) was therefore unenforceable. I'll without question change carriers once my current policy ends in February/2021. I've had at least four auto insurance carriers (Kemper included) and Kemper is the ONLY one that placed me in a position of essentially driving around uninsured for nearly a month. Avoid Kemper at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Five months ago my son's car was totaled by a driver of a car covered by Infinity (Kemper). Despite a police report that clearly states that the Kemper driver was at fault, the claims agent has found every way possible to avoid us. The most frustrating way is that when you call there is only a voicemail available or worse a full voicemail so no message can be left. In 5 months of over 30 calls from us to Kemper, only 5 have been returned. The most recent is stating that the Kemper covered driver's policy won't cover the driver because she couldn't produce a license at the scene of the crash (she was drunk).

Since we started asking to see that policy, there have been no return calls or response. I am sure they are hoping we will go away. Since my son worked hard to buy his first car and we only had it covered with liability insurance, we are not going to go away! It is very hard to see a big company like this make every effort to steal/rob from a 21 year old who is trying to make his way by working hard. I can see why all the reviews are only 1 star. I would give less if I could.

Kemper - Auto Company Information