Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto

3.8/5 (279 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Kemper - Auto

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance, nonstandard policies and various discounts in 26 states. It carries basic and customized coverage packages and policies for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. The company provides pet protection and accident forgiveness options, but its specialty coverage is available only in California.

Pros

• Variety of discounts
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Nonstandard insurance options

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Specialty coverage only in Calif.

Bottom Line

Kemper specializes in competitive auto policy rates and offers several discounts, such as retro loyalty, safe driving and multipolicy reductions. It provides nonstandard coverage options in California.

Top Kemper - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Verified

I love this company. They are way cheaper than most and they have great customer service. I just had a deer hit my car and they were great… Best company by far. They were so helpf...

Verified

… As a young adult insurance costs can be very high. I like that Kemper took into account my clean driving record and everything to provide a cost that is manageable for someone m...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Kemper auto insurance?

Kemper specializes in low-cost auto insurance through its direct-to-consumer model and streamlined marketing efforts. Kemper offers discounts for multipolicy coverage, referrals, paperless billing and safe driving. The company also extends discounts to policyholders who’ve been insured for twelve continuous months or more and to drivers 55 or older who complete a state-approved accident prevention course. It provides nonstandard coverage in California.

Kemper coverage options

Kemper’s coverage includes extras like accident forgiveness and renewal assurance. It also offers pet protection, which pays up to $2,000 if your cat or dog is injured in a covered accident, as well as enhanced car seat replacement with no deductible. Kemper’s dependent protection also provides up to $1,000 in daycare costs if a covered accident leaves you unable to care for your child.

Kemper has a roadside assistance option, which helps out if you get a flat tire, run out of gas or need a jumpstart or towing. Its other coverages include:

• Rental car reimbursement
  • Trip interruption coverage
  • Guaranteed repairs by a network facility

In some areas, Kemper provides nonstandard auto insurance options for hard-to-insure customers. The company also offers SR-22 insurance and a reconditioned vehicle program that insures vehicles with salvage titles.

Kemper insurance quotes and costs

Kemper doesn’t disclose its rates online, but you can apply for a quote on its website. Its policyholders can save money by bundling policies or paying all or some of their premiums upfront. You can choose between an annual, semiannual, quarterly or monthly payment plan, and many Kemper customers qualify for a down payment of one month’s premium.

Kemper auto insurance FAQ

Who owns Kemper?
Kemper is owned by Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation.
Does Kemper offer gap insurance?
Yes, Kemper offers gap insurance for drivers whose vehicles are declared a total loss.
How do I file a claim with Kemper?
You can contact a claims representative 24/7 to file a claim or do so online.
Where is Kemper auto insurance available?
Kemper auto insurance is available in 26 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Kemper insurance good?

Kemper’s many discounts can help policyholders save money by bundling coverage, paying electronically, driving safely and more. If you’ve been continuously insured by another auto insurance company for 12 months or more, you can switch to Kemper and qualify for a discount. While Kemper’s policies aren’t available in all states, we recommend looking into it if you live in its service area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Kemper prides itself on serving high-risk drivers, who are otherwise uninsurable. I'm all for helping people get back on their feet after a mistake or mishap, but if you're going to be your brother's keeper, then be your brother's keeper. A Kemper insured driver, who was a known insurance risk, careened down our street while blind drunk, hitting six vehicles, including ours, and impacting on the corner of our home, destroying the brick foundation there and costing us $2K to repair. While the driver was insured, he was also insolvent, and the total damages he caused far outweigh the minimum property liability coverage he was allowed, by Kemper, to carry.

Blah-blah-blah, within the limits of the law, Kemper is just doing what the law says they must, blah-blah-blah. So we're expecting to receive a pro-rated offer of reimbursement out of the available $5K in coverage the driver had. And he caused in excess of $20K in damages to all injured parties. I will never in my life recommend Kemper to anyone.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I don’t know how they have a 3.8 rating, this insurance is terrible. I went out of my way to make an account on Consumer Affairs to leave a review that’s how frustrated I am. My vehicle was totaled Dec of 2021, Merry Christmas right and as of 7/28/22 that I am writing this review, they have yet to pay out my claim which they have already taken responsibility of. The adjuster tried to give me a hard time with the options that my vehicle came equipped with from factory in hopes that I take less than what the vehicle is worth. She asked me to get the original invoice from 15 years ago lol which I was able to get. After that was settled and we agree that I would do my title myself in order to get payment I get a call this is in May of 2022 from a new adjuster. It turns out she fenced off my claim to another adjuster which shouldn’t have gotten it because she doesn’t take care of that state I am in.

Nonetheless this new adjuster helps me as much as she possibly can and she convinces me to send the title that once she gets it she’ll send payment instead of me having to wait for my state to process the title and get payment even later. When it is time to send me the check July 2022 she says she can’t because she’s missing a document which was sent and shows delivered and signed for but they can’t find. She then adds salt to the wound to tell me the claim has to go back to the previous adjuster because she’s the one that’s supposed to send the check. I know this adjuster will give me the run around again in order to pay out my claim, the problem is they now have my title as well. I’ll update this if I can later.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: May 31, 2022

This company never calls back or even checks on their customer. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I don't even want to give a star, extremely dissatisfied, disappointed. Nobody knows anything, zero assistance. They give you different numbers to call for a simple question and roadside assistance is a joke. I have never had such a bad experience in my life. I am done with this company.

Original review: May 6, 2022

Try to fix my Truck in my preferred body shop and they coursed me into taking it to one of their DRPs. Huge mistake! Their preferred body shop was no good. I have to take the truck back due to a poor paint job and bodywork. The adjusters are bullies. Especially Abraham **. Mr ** was rude and very unprofessional. They try to give you the least amount possible and hope you take it. I feel sorry for anybody who would have to deal with Kemper.

Original review: April 19, 2022

I was rear end on Friday night and we exchanged insurance info. Come Monday, I get in touch with my insurance company to give them her info. They call me back and say, "Sorry about your luck." State Farm scared them because they said there wasn't anything they can do about it. I would give it zero if possible. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: March 30, 2022

This insurance company has to be the absolute worst. They have the worst customer service. They do not return your call. I hate and wish no one has to go through them for claims because is just awful. I have been with them for over 8 years. When my car got hit while packer by a drunk driver it was a haste dealing with them. It happened in May 25, 2021 and a year later my car is still waiting for an approval to get fixed. I finally got fed up and cancelled my policy. I do not recommend them at all.

Original review: March 4, 2022

One of the worst experience customer service and managing claims I've ever had. Someone insured by them hit me and as I am writing this review, it has been 10 days that I have not received any response regarding my claim, or offering a loaner car and fixing my car, whatsoever! 10 days and I do not have any clue what the hell is happening to my claim. THIS IS JUST RIDICULOUS. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Consumer BEWARE!! -0 stars for Kemper…. 1 star is generous! This is THE WORST Company I have EVER dealt with. We were customers for years. Had 2 incidents over 5+ years. Both times we got the time around from them. No follow up. No customer service. SO unprofessional and inadequate. Our “adjuster” never contacted US, instead they worked with the the other party to get THEIR side of the story. Will use ANY loophole they can to ensure they “can’t” cover your claim.

Jocelyn was horrible…. Her voicemail in the middle of summer was still her holiday (Christmas greeting!! In July). She was always out of the office when we tried to contact her. And she would tell us she never received our email or voicemail even tho we had the email chain & would show her our call log history. Everyone that works there is a JOKE! They are a SCAM!! Ended up canceling our policy to get a better policy for less. Lesson learned. Kemper Auto insurance will close their doors soon. These type of business won’t survive. They are out to get your money. Insurance is a fraud and Kemper is a perfect example of a joke of a company!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

This company is a joke. My son was hit by one of their insured and the adjuster don't even answer calls back or emails. This is what happens when someone buys insurance from this high risk insurers and defeat the purpose of having insurance. Drag claims as long as they can hoping for the affected party to get tired. You read so many complaints about this company, A class action suit should be filed.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

This is a horrible company!! Their client hit us and is totally at fault. All they wanted to pay was $253, and didn’t send out an adjuster, that was by looking at their photo claims app. The damage was far more extensive than that. We have had nothing but a runaround from them. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY!! They’re con artists, even their clients cannot get them to help them. We will most likely have to retain an attorney and go to court to receive any kind of payment for the actual damages.

Kemper - Auto Company Information