Find a Car Insurance partner

Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto

1.6/5 (191 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Kemper - Auto

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance, nonstandard policies and various discounts in 26 states. It carries basic and customized coverage packages and policies for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. The company provides pet protection and accident forgiveness options, but its specialty coverage is available only in California.

Pros

• Variety of discounts
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Nonstandard insurance options

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Specialty coverage only in Calif.

Bottom Line

Kemper specializes in competitive auto policy rates and offers several discounts, such as retro loyalty, safe driving and multipolicy reductions. It provides nonstandard coverage options in California.

Top Kemper - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Verified

I love this company. They are way cheaper than most and they have great customer service. I just had a deer hit my car and they were great… Best company by far. They were so helpf...

Verified

… As a young adult insurance costs can be very high. I like that Kemper took into account my clean driving record and everything to provide a cost that is manageable for someone m...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Kemper auto insurance?

Kemper specializes in low-cost auto insurance through its direct-to-consumer model and streamlined marketing efforts. Kemper offers discounts for multipolicy coverage, referrals, paperless billing and safe driving. The company also extends discounts to policyholders who’ve been insured for twelve continuous months or more and to drivers 55 or older who complete a state-approved accident prevention course. It provides nonstandard coverage in California.

Kemper coverage options

Kemper’s coverage includes extras like accident forgiveness and renewal assurance. It also offers pet protection, which pays up to $2,000 if your cat or dog is injured in a covered accident, as well as enhanced car seat replacement with no deductible. Kemper’s dependent protection also provides up to $1,000 in daycare costs if a covered accident leaves you unable to care for your child.

Kemper has a roadside assistance option, which helps out if you get a flat tire, run out of gas or need a jumpstart or towing. Its other coverages include:

• Rental car reimbursement
  • Trip interruption coverage
  • Guaranteed repairs by a network facility

In some areas, Kemper provides nonstandard auto insurance options for hard-to-insure customers. The company also offers SR-22 insurance and a reconditioned vehicle program that insures vehicles with salvage titles.

Kemper insurance quotes and costs

Kemper doesn’t disclose its rates online, but you can apply for a quote on its website. Its policyholders can save money by bundling policies or paying all or some of their premiums upfront. You can choose between an annual, semiannual, quarterly or monthly payment plan, and many Kemper customers qualify for a down payment of one month’s premium.

Kemper auto insurance FAQ

Who owns Kemper?
Kemper is owned by Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation.
Does Kemper offer gap insurance?
Yes, Kemper offers gap insurance for drivers whose vehicles are declared a total loss.
How do I file a claim with Kemper?
You can contact a claims representative 24/7 to file a claim or do so online.
Where is Kemper auto insurance available?
Kemper auto insurance is available in 26 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Kemper insurance good?

Kemper’s many discounts can help policyholders save money by bundling coverage, paying electronically, driving safely and more. If you’ve been continuously insured by another auto insurance company for 12 months or more, you can switch to Kemper and qualify for a discount. While Kemper’s policies aren’t available in all states, we recommend looking into it if you live in its service area.

Kemper - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Claim of a stolen vehicle and having to constantly email and call with no response! Finally settled and our claim adjuster, Malcom, issued the payment to an incorrect name. Never answers his phone! I will shop elsewhere for insurance!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

My car was hit by someone insured by this company. It was on a Friday and our car was not safe to operate on the road since the bumper was hanging from the car and the rear wheel and tire were damaged. The adjuster, Yarithza M, called me randomly and left a message. I was in a meeting so I called back 15 minutes later and left a voicemail. Nothing. I called back three more times that day. Nothing.

I called the number she left on her voicemail for her supervisor, Holly M. The number that she provided was disconnected. I called back to the customer service rep and asked for Holly M's number. Of course, the voicemail came on and I left a message. I have since called either Yarithza, Holly or the customer service group over 10 times! Customer service transferred me to Holly's voicemail twice. They escalated to Yarithza and Holly twice. There's no one else that can help, and apparently they don't know who's Holly's manager. It's a dead end. I'm going on 5 days without a car all because someone insured by them hit me while I was stopped at a red light.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

This insurance company has to be the absolute worst. I hate and wish no one has to go through them for claims because is just awful. One of their drivers scratched up my rear bumper and destroyed my rear diffuser on 12/18/21. We swapped info and everything and she called her insurance (Kemper) and they told her they’d call me the next day which guess what? That didn’t happen.

I waited and waited but still no call back, my insurance on the other hand was awesome enough (Allstate) and called me back immediately but I wanted to go through Kemper because I'm not trying to go through mine because it was her fault. Anyways after a while I had to wait longer bc her adjuster’s (Douglas **) office was closed due to the holidays and wouldn’t be back til December 28. So still another day passes by and nothing, I finally call on 12/30 which of course they don’t pick and finally he calls me back saying it’s his first time even seeing the claim then setup an inspection.

After all that he said they’d review it and he’d call me back in 3-5 businesses days (not counting New Year’s Day) and still to this day nothing (1/10). Every time I call it goes straight to voicemail and says their office is closed due to the holidays and that they won’t be open til the 28th but what pisses me off is that it’s JANUARY 10, it’s not even the holidays anymore! Does make any sense, this place is awful, and on top of that I got an estimate through the mail that says it’s only worth 385 to repair my car but when I got my estimates from the repair shop they said it’s gonna cost 943.

What kind of ** is this. Man y’all are wack, I hate driving around in my messed up car because I like having my car looking clean and not all trashy. Kemper is %100 trash, forget about them and if you’re insured by them just drop em because they don’t care about you or anyone else and will just take your money. The minute you talk to them they’re all nice then when the time comes you need them they’ll ghost you. I’m happy I have Allstate and pay a little more than usual rather than having this sorry of a business. At this point I’m going through my own insurance because at least they’re more prompt and actually reply back to me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Two months ago I was rear-ended by someone with Kemper auto insurance. Kemper admitted fault immediately, yet I don't have my vehicle back. It's been repaired for days. It's clear to me that Kemper is trying to hold back on paying the collision company in hopes that I will just pay them so Kemper does not have to pay. THIS IS FRAUD. KEMPER AUTO INSURANCE IS THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

They deserve NO STARS!!! I do not use them personally but was rear ended at a high speed and the driver left the scene. I got the plate number. They ended up having Kemper insurance. I was treated terrible. They treated me like I caused the accident. They never answered the phone. Took several days for email reply for never got one. They would help with a rental and didn't care that their driver did a hit and run. Bunch of Bozos. Do not use them and I should have gone thru my own insurance. Lesson learned. Trust me.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

AVOID THIS COMPANY. Left messages pretty much every day to the adjuster assigned to my claim. She never returned any of my calls. The other party involved in the accident has the same insurance company. Kemper/Infinity. The only info I got is that they are denying the accident. I have prove of the accident, the photos I sent are not showing on my file. They make me take my car to a guy that works for Infinity for a quote. The quote is for less than 800 to fix my car which is a Joke so. This make me wonder if they really don't want to spend in fixing my car because their customer hit another of their customer and they will no get any refund. This sounds to me like BIG SCAM COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I was recently rear ended by a Kemper insured driver. I filed claims with both my insurance and Kemper. Kemper wouldn't give me a reference number or claim number but stated that an adjuster would get back to me within 48 hours. After waiting the 48 hours, I called them to follow up, found my adjuster and left a message. Two days later, they finally called me back. I then had to call them every day to hear from them and actually make progress on my claim.

They sent me to an app to take photos of my car for the estimate and apparently sent a check, while telling me that I would be responsible for part of the repair because my car was a few years old and they would only be paying for a portion of it... calculating a "betterment." When I called for a week straight to tell them that my car is feeling unsafe to drive and I needed to know what the next steps were, it took me needing to call a supervisor to get my adjuster to call me back. This then approved them to put me into a rental car, but I get to pay for it first and be reimbursed after the work on my car is completed.

In the meantime, my insurance agent cannot get them on the phone to verify they are taking responsibility for the repair. When I showed up at the garage, the mechanics stated "Kemper is a nightmare to work with" as they don't return the garage phone calls either. It feels like this company doesn't want to work to get the repairs done in a timely fashion. When I mentioned not returning my calls to the adjuster, he told me "Not everyone wants to get their car fixed as quickly as you do." and the check that three different people needed to talk to me about every time I tried to get ahold of my adjuster... yeah, that didn't arrive.

The adjuster sent the estimate paperwork on 10/18 indicating the check was enclosed but it wasn't. When I tried to reach out, he didn't answer calls or return my emails. I decided to have my insurance company take them on as my company has been super responsive and helpful so far and in less than 8 hours has already rerouted my rental car reservation to a direct bill (not me paying it out of pocket,) and sent the documents to the garage to start the repair. Kemper... you are fired from my claim, I'll let the pros handle it and take it up with you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Kemper Auto Car Insurance, 8360 LBJ Freeway Suite 400, Dallas, TX 75222. Gave me a quote for liability car insurance and charge my credit card double what was quoted. When I tried to cancel the insurance, they charged my account. I tried to talk to customer service which gave me the run around and hung the phone up. Worst customer service and steal your money. Run from this company.

Original review: June 18, 2021

They are bad in customer service, they are bad adjusting claims, they are paying to shops. Ohhh but they are good to charge you for an expensive and totally bad service. They do not attend the required supplement payments by shops, they made cheap estimates and the closing your case without previous notification.

Original review: May 27, 2021

Worst auto insurance company. I cancelled the services due to the poor services after I paid the last bill, but they charged me an additional $ 130.71 (last bill which I already paid it before+ $ 50 cancellation fees!!!?). I asked them for an explanation, I received threat of collection agency instead.

Kemper - Auto Company Information