Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto Reviews

About Kemper - Auto

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance, nonstandard policies and various discounts in 26 states. It carries basic and customized coverage packages and policies for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. The company provides pet protection and accident forgiveness options, but its specialty coverage is available only in California.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Variety of discounts
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Nonstandard insurance options
Cons
  • Not available in all states
  • Specialty coverage only in Calif.

Featured Reviews

Verified
Auburn, NY

I love this company. They are way cheaper than most and they have great customer service. I just had a deer hit my car and they were great… Best company by far. They were so helpf...

Verified
Hilton, NY

… As a young adult insurance costs can be very high. I like that Kemper took into account my clean driving record and everything to provide a cost that is manageable for someone m...

What is Kemper auto insurance?

Kemper specializes in low-cost auto insurance through its direct-to-consumer model and streamlined marketing efforts. Kemper offers discounts for multipolicy coverage, referrals, paperless billing and safe driving. The company also extends discounts to policyholders who’ve been insured for twelve continuous months or more and to drivers 55 or older who complete a state-approved accident prevention course. It provides nonstandard coverage in California.

Kemper coverage options

Kemper’s coverage includes extras like accident forgiveness and renewal assurance. It also offers pet protection, which pays up to $2,000 if your cat or dog is injured in a covered accident, as well as enhanced car seat replacement with no deductible. Kemper’s dependent protection also provides up to $1,000 in daycare costs if a covered accident leaves you unable to care for your child.

Kemper has a roadside assistance option, which helps out if you get a flat tire, run out of gas or need a jumpstart or towing. Its other coverages include:

• Rental car reimbursement
  • Trip interruption coverage
  • Guaranteed repairs by a network facility

In some areas, Kemper provides nonstandard auto insurance options for hard-to-insure customers. The company also offers SR-22 insurance and a reconditioned vehicle program that insures vehicles with salvage titles.

Kemper insurance quotes and costs

Kemper doesn’t disclose its rates online, but you can apply for a quote on its website. Its policyholders can save money by bundling policies or paying all or some of their premiums upfront. You can choose between an annual, semiannual, quarterly or monthly payment plan, and many Kemper customers qualify for a down payment of one month’s premium.

Kemper auto insurance FAQ

Who owns Kemper?
Kemper is owned by Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation.
Does Kemper offer gap insurance?
Yes, Kemper offers gap insurance for drivers whose vehicles are declared a total loss.
How do I file a claim with Kemper?
You can contact a claims representative 24/7 to file a claim or do so online.
Where is Kemper auto insurance available?
Kemper auto insurance is available in 26 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Kemper insurance good?

Kemper’s many discounts can help policyholders save money by bundling coverage, paying electronically, driving safely and more. If you’ve been continuously insured by another auto insurance company for 12 months or more, you can switch to Kemper and qualify for a discount. While Kemper’s policies aren’t available in all states, we recommend looking into it if you live in its service area.

Kemper - Auto Reviews

Stars Rating

• 12%
  • 17%
  • 9%
  • 2%
  • 59%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Reviewed June 11, 2024

In my opinion this company is unbelievably dishonest and underhanded. If I wrote all the things they have done so far I couldn't fit it all in this review. How they have any stars amazed me. Look at the dates though. Most reviews above one star are from before 2019. This company should not be allowed to even operate!! I guess it shows how corrupt our government is to let companies like this exist.

Some things they do.... Call multiple times. You pick up, they hang up, they hang up in the middle of talking, they hang up when transferring you, they wait forever to return calls, mostly they try not to respond, you call and it sends you directly to your adjustor that doesn't respond, they switch you to multiple adjustors and say, "Oh it's not me. It's them," I believe I've had 3- 4 so far. They told me they didn't even have to respond to me for 30 days, they are soo bad. I had a hard time finding a body shop that works with them because they don't want to pay among other things. The list goes on and on.

Customer ServiceClaims Handling

Reviewed May 9, 2024

This company is absolutely awful. Their customer service is atrocious, and they don't even answer their phones. I have been a customer for only a handful of months and I am fed up with their lack of care or quality assistance and I HAVE NEVER EVEN NEEDED TO FILE A CLAIM! Their rates are great but everything else about this company is both sub-par and inexcusably unprofessional. Now after frustrating interactions I have tried to cancel only to be given the run around and hung up on... wish I would have known prior.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Claims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed Feb. 27, 2024

This is by far the worse company I ever had to deal with! I have been hit by a car not by fault insured by Kemper and to receive help from them is ridiculous! They are denying a claim that I am currently fighting for now! Avoid these people! I am currently taking legal action against them!

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE!! This is the absolute worst insurance company you could ever get. Good luck getting them to do anything!! They don't answer their emails. They don't care about you or your car and they charge extremely crazy prices. It was cheaper for me to go to Progressive with two cars than one car with this company with the exact same insurance. FIND ANYTHING else but these people! Scum bags.

Claims HandlingStaff

Reviewed Oct. 24, 2023

My Toyota Prius was parked and hit by a drunk driver, the drunk driver had Kemper insurance, AND THEY ARE BY FAR THE WORST COMPANY. It's been 1 year and 3 months and still haven't been paid for my crashed vehicle (they said my vehicle was totaled), and good luck if you get a human to speak to because most of the time you're gonna get a answering machine, and the claim adjustor will give you the run around (pretending to be sympathetic and having corporate responses). THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE.

Reviewed July 10, 2023

Erin ** EXT ** & Candida ** EXT ** are the worst Managers & Adjusters there are. I've been Calling everyday to the 800 # trying to reach them and they do not and HAVE NOT answered a single phone call. Nor have they returned ANY of my emails. Some guy with this insurance company rear ended my car and they're refusing to fix it.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed July 1, 2023

Kemper Auto merged with American Access and changed their policy and ways of handling renews and reinstatement of policies and failed to let their policyholders know. They are unprofessional and rude and like to argue and hang up on people. They said they might have done different things last month or months but this month it's different. Which sounds likes it's not consistent and they will not make an easy transition for the other companies policy holders to come over. American Access had great customer service and always helped.

Kemper employees are rude, awful and do not care about their policyholders. I will not be returning after this month. Horrible experience with them and they will screw up how your policy works and not tell you or the 3rd party insurance companies they work with about their changes. Kemper employees will say they can not help you or do anything to fix your policy. Basically, you're on your own. Just find another better insurance company. Preferably one who actually cares.

Reviewed June 13, 2023

Been calling and get the runaround. They sent me a check to get my car fixed on 6/7/23 and on the 12th they canceled the check. Leaving me to pay to fix my car. Now I'm out for repairs from my own back pocket. When you're on fix income car repairs are not easy done.. If I could give them a -5 stars I sure would. They work for themselves and no one else.

Reviewed June 7, 2023

Kemper notified us they will no longer be conducting business in MO. We found a new insurer and made the transition weeks ago. Kemper even refunded the balance we overpaid for the rest of our term. However, we just got drafted for another automatic ACH. If all we had to do was call it in and get a refund I wouldn't be here. We have been transferred all over the company and nobody seems to be able to help us. We have been hung up on several times.

We went through Reece Nichols to get Kemper when we bought our house- but since Kemper is out of business in MO and our policy is no longer valid they don't seem to be able to do anything either. Where is our $ going exactly? Why didn't Kemper stop auto withdrawals when they sent out notices in MO? Why doesn't Kemper have anyone who can handle this sort of thing anywhere in the company? Shady and scammy behavior- how many other people are having this issue but can't reach anyone to resolve it?

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed May 10, 2023

They held my policy hostage when I tried to cancel 8 months ago. Could not close the policy despite several attempts. First I sent an email with their cancellation form attached and signed, along with written instructions on when to cancel the policy. No cancellation. Then my new insurance provider also reached out to cancel. No cancellation. After my new company said they reached out, I assumed I was fine. Kemper had documentation of both cancellations. Then Kemper's bill shows up. I reach out again.

They won't cancel by phone. They send me the accursed form again, which I fill out and send back. They reply saying I've filled it out wrong and lie about never seeing a cancellation request. I review the error and, behold, the form does not contain the alleged error. I have the reply chain in my inbox. I send it again. They allege another different error that does not exist. Again. I chew them out. Nothing happens. I am still in insurance hades with these weasels stoking the coals.

Kemper - Auto Company Information