Find the Best Match

Kemper - Auto
1.94/5
Based on 107 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kemper - Auto

Kemper sells many types of insurance, including auto insurance. InsuraMatch is not working with Kemper yet, buy you can get multiple quotes from 26 verified carriers within minutes by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

117 Kemper - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

When someone hits your car in the middle of the day and totals it, while it's parked outside your house, you would think the driver's insurance company would accept responsibility, right? Not if that insurance company happens to be Kemper. Our first indication that we were dealing with a company determined to deny a claim no matter what, was when we had the misfortune to be assigned a claims agent by the name of Yolanda **. We were patiently prepared to give her all the pertinent information, including the police report number, but the first question she had for us was "where's the car?" When we told her the police had ordered it removed, she said "I'm not filing this claim if the car isn't at the scene of the accident." We then attempted to speak to her supervisor, but even though this individual was pleasant to deal with (unlike Yolanda), she also asked why the police had removed it.

I responded that perhaps she ought to ask the officer in question (whose information I provided her with), but perhaps it was because there was glass and metal all over the street, and we were opposite an elementary school, where students were due to be released at any moment. Since that conversation, we tried to get information from our insurance agent, hoping that he would have better luck getting cooperation from the Claims Team at Kemper. At one point he indicated that he thought they would deny our claim because they stated to him that they had been unable to contact their client. My husband knew that the driver had been issued a citation for inattentive driving and that he would have a subsequent court date. We tracked down the prosecuting attorney's office and made note of the date and time of hearing.

I emailed both insurance companies with this information, suggesting that they send a representative to hopefully be able to speak with the driver in person. Just in case, my husband showed up, and (no surprise) neither insurance companies were represented. My husband was able, however, to speak to the owner of the vehicle and asked her point blank if she had authorized the driver to drive her car that day. The owner was a passenger in the vehicle. She told my husband that indeed she had asked him to drive since she was suffering from a migraine. My husband asked her to contact Yolanda ** and tell her exactly that.

The owner claimed that both she and the driver had attempted to contact Yolanda on several occasions and couldn't even leave her a message because a recording came on saying "mailbox is full". Today we received a curt letter from Yolanda saying our claim is denied because "we determined there is no coverage under our insured's policy for this loss. As a result, we will be unable to provide payment for any damages resulting from this accident and closed our file." Unbelievable!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have never encountered a worse customer service, that I have with Kemper. You call for help and NOBODY will help you. They will transfer you over to the "right department" over and over and over again, only to wind up, AGAIN, with the first person I had talked to. You simply can't get any help with any of the CSRs. I have had this experience more than once. I have had years of customer service experience. I simply am flabbergasted, as to how that company does any business. This company is worthless. Besides, their car insurance is extremely high. Luckily, I changed car insurances and I am selling my home the end of the month. So, then I will have no more dealings with this, completely worthless company. If I could give it zero points, I would have.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I started a policy with Kemper insurance after my agent found me a good deal. It was at a very reasonable rate considering my driving history. However, less than two months after starting the policy, I moved from one Los Angeles neighborhood to another. Shortly after my move, I paid my bill for the month of July, paying the minimum that was due. Kemper then raised my insurance premium 280% without notification.

When I received my bill for the next month, it was almost triple what I had originally signed up for. When I asked about this I was told that my zip code was one of the most expensive zip codes in the state. They insisted that the rate increase was for no other reason than the move. There were no incidents or claims of any kind.

I asked them to lower it back to a reasonable amount, and said that if they did not I would cancel and find another company. Apparently they did not really care much about this, and insisted there was nothing they can do. I found another agent who found me a rate that was virtually the same as my original rate with another company. It was embarrassing how quickly it took to find a better deal, which made me also fire my agent who got me the policy with Kemper (though this agent did the best he could.)

I cancelled the policy as quickly as I could, before the next billing cycle had begun. Kemper then sent me a bill saying that I still owed them money. Apparently, they can simply decide arbitrarily that my premium can be raised anytime for any reason, and that they can then claim that I didn’t pay for coverage that I received (even though I paid my bill for the month in full at the time that it was due, in fact it was autopay so there’s no way I could have chosen to underpay). The fact that they decided to raise my premium after the fact means that no matter what I wanted, I was going to pay them a rate 280% higher than what I initially agreed to. Any reasonable organization would provide a warning about a rate increase immediately, not simply pretend like nothing had happened.

Basically, if you want an insurance company that will lure you in with a competitive rate, and then find any reason at all to raise your premium astronomically without any notification or warning, giving you no opportunity to remedy the situation, you should really go with this company. That was obviously sarcasm, stay away. Do not go with them, they are thieves. The fact that this is legal is a travesty.

Original review: June 15, 2018

How can you say someone is not 100% at fault for an accident when they ran a stop sign. There were witnesses. The other party wasn't even speeding. A week after the accident and I still have not received a rental car. I was told to borrow the money from someone and pay for it myself. I'm a single mother. That is not option. I will sue this company if it continues. You are leaving me no choice.

Original review: June 8, 2018

On 5/30/18 my wife was in a collision with a Kemper Auto insured driver running a red light. Driver cited. I contacted customer service on 5/30, I spoke with a very polite young lady, she took all the pertinent information related to the accident along with my personal information. The rep politely issued me a claim number along with the claims adjuster's name and phone number and extension. She then transferred me to the claims adjuster's team office, I spoke with a Leliani (unsure of the correct spelling of her last name... She muddled it), this woman was very nice in the beginning, but as soon as the car settlement started (they totaled my car), oh, things changed. This woman was very rude.

Pay CLOSE attention to the vehicles they compare yours with. They added $2700 to a car they choose with a 104,000 miles on it for a 2011, and only $600 for ours only having 70k. They don't add all the options that your car has. They will not give you a dime for any items you've added to your car. (Does not add value) as she states. With Kemper, you are NOT going to be put back into pre-accident condition.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: June 3, 2018

I was hit by a gentleman insured by Kemper who ran a red light. He came across 6 lanes. He was at fault and cited. My car was totaled and I was in therapy for my back for 4 months. Kemper wanted to pay $3000.00 less than what my medical bills were. Now my insurance company are taking them to arbitration as they do not want to even pay for my totaled car and deductible that my insurance company paid. They have forced me to hire an attorney. This company is what gives insurance companies a bad reputation and makes people sue. The claims adjuster was rude and condescending. This company should be put out of business.

Original review: May 22, 2018

On 05/20 I was rear-ended by a Kemper Auto insured (drunk) driver. I contacted customer service on 5/21, I spoke with a very polite young lady, she took all the pertinent information related to the accident along with my personal information. The rep politely issued me a claim number along with the claims adjuster's name and phone number and extension. She then transferred me to the claims adjuster's team office, I spoke with a Ms. Katrina (unsure of the correct spelling of her last name... She muddled it), this woman was very rude. When I mentioned that I spoke to a very nice lady earlier who told me how things would be handled she said "they don't know what they are talking about".

Katrina talked at me and asked compound questions. She did not like my answers and all she wanted to do was to talk AT me and I listened until she was done. I DON'T understand why people can be so mean. So, when I asked "can I speak now"... Well I went on to talk... This very rude woman hung up on me. This rudeness makes want to just give up and and not move on with the claim. Life is too short to have to deal with this type of treatment. I have never experienced such poor customer service (claims adjuster). I was shocked and hurt by it, there was absolutely no compassion.

I eventually called the adjuster assigned to my case, I left a message with hope that I will get a call back. I actually called again hoping she would answer, but the answering machine picked up with a message "message box is full"... Go figure. It's funny when I finished talking with the polite young lady. I thought these people are really nice and personable, thinking I might switch over from SF, plus recommend this Ins company. The Reps are either overworked or just plain MEAN!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I love the coverage I have with my insurance company. I purchased online and it was super easy. The coverage is affordable, their customer service is great, and they're easy to contact. I had a question about my policy and the representative I spoke with was incredibly helpful. I would recommend Kemper to anyone who needed an affordable and comprehensive auto policy. But I wish they offered discounts for multiple policies like some other companies offer. I currently rent and would love a renter's policy, and I plan on purchasing a home one day. I'll likely use Kemper.

Original review: April 30, 2018

Kemper provides fast service for claim. Customer service was not great but it was ok. Cheap payouts on cars totaled. Not a lot of premiums are affordable and the policy is too expensive for the coverage that you get but that's usual with company nowadays and not surprised.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My insurance agency was great in helping me find Kemper when I went off my parents car insurance. It was a smooth and easy transition. As a young adult insurance costs can be very high. I like that Kemper took into account my clean driving record and everything to provide a cost that is manageable for someone my age who is just starting out in my career. I have been with my car insurance for about year now and have had 0 issues with them. They take the money out of my account quarterly and have great costs while also providing great insurance. I highly recommend them to everyone especially young adults.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I paid a great down payment price for a six month policy and for my next updates my down went even lower. My broker company GreatFlorida has always been friendly, fair and honest in our dealings with them which helps. I like that Kemper has great rates and coverage. I have used them for quite some time and have always been satisfied with their service. My husband and I have tried other companies but we always seem to come back to Kemper sooner or later. One complaint that I have is they keep moving our broker offices to different locations and have said they may not cover drivers in my state anymore.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I really like that it easy set up to pay, and I can do auto pay. They have good customer service over the phone and my husband has easily made changes to our policy. But I would like an option to pay online without having to be auto pay and they keep increasing rates in small amounts frequently. I wish they had an office close to me so that we could deal with some issues in person. They weren't easy to deal with when my husband had damage to his car from avoiding an accident. Overall they could be better about dealing with accident incidents. I understand they have to cover their end thoroughly but they gave us a big run around and I didn't appreciate. Although, since that incident they have been a lot better and we haven't had any issues.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I was rolled over when Kemper purchased my company. Kemper auto insurance is one of the companies I have had auto insurance through for almost ten years. Great and dependable service, however their rates increase dramatically every year, even with no tickets or accidents and refuse, when I called, to lower their premiums for long term loyal customers. I would like Kemper auto insurance to want to keep long-term, loyal, accident-free, ticket-free customers premium. I would really like to see them better their loyal customers!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I got insurance through Drive Insurance and was placed with Kemper. It was simple and my broker knew what we needed and basically did everything for us. Having ride share makes it better for my husband since he does driving with Uber. I had a previous insurance that I really liked and had all my discounts applied but they didn't have ride share so we had to switch. I have only been with Kemper for three month and so far I have not had any problems with them. And for full coverage it's still affordable but those of us who has a great record should be offered less expensive insurance than others.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I oversee a rental car company and deal with insurance companies on a regular basis. Kemper's claims department is by far the worst I've dealt with. Payment for our customers rental car reimbursement was not issued due to us sending an invoice and not the rental agreement to Kemper's claim department. It was requested that we resend a copy of the rental agreement via fax directly to the total loss department. When we called to verify the payment status after 19 days with no payment received we were told that payment was sent to our physical address and not the mailing address because that is what was on the rental agreement. The adjuster (Laura) was extremely rude when this was brought to her attention. Our invoices give a specific mailing address on where to remit payment, but our payment was rejected by the total loss deparatment due to us sending an invoice and not the rental.

Original review: April 18, 2018

It was very easy a purchase. As a matter of fact the 3 party also did set up the policy and that was a plus for me. I like their 24 hour claims representative Along with friendly customer service. They worked very fast to complete my claim and they also came the very next day to take pics of my car. But The price of this insurance has gone from me paying $152.00 to 183.0 0 a month and also the cost to just add more features to your existing coverage. They don't have very many discounts for people my age and there seems to be no discounts for defensive driving.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Originally, I was skeptical with Kemper because I had never heard of the company, but my broker recommended them, so I took a chance. My overall experience of getting set up and going was easy and stress-free. The experience so far has been great. They got great customer service and easy payment drafts. I hope that there would be more online tools and a phone application to manage my account as well as my car like recall notices, service schedules and updates on service and online management.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I purchase my insurance through someone who subcontracts so he will go through and find me the best deals. I was with Progressive and I changed to Kemper because it was much cheaper. I insure 3 vehicles with this insurance company and I dislike that they change the policy so much. It's a big policy so it's hard to go through and read the changes all the time.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I bought it through AAA and it was an easy process for me. I really didn't do much but sign paperwork. They did the rest for me and it was great! I got a discount for paying up front and it includes benefits that are appealing to me. I love not having a monthly payment. It is a great feeling. My deductible is very reasonable and that puts my mind at ease. Very friendly and caring individuals to deal with as well. However, I wish I was eligible for a loaner car when my vehicle was in the shop being worked on. It is a very big inconvenience being without a vehicle so if I would be able to have access to a loaner vehicle it would make my life a whole lot easier!

Original review: April 5, 2018

My car was hit by a Kemper customer that did a hit and run and required police involvement to get their insurance info. The adjuster was very helpful at first and said their customer admitted fault so the process should be quick for my repairs. I took my car to a shop they chose and provided the estimate. They now will not return my calls nor do I know the status of my claim. They have contact numbers to their “boss” on the voicemail you are to call if they don’t respond within a business day that goes to someone who has no idea who Kemper is. After calling and emailing many times I received a text that they mailed me next steps. What horrible service.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I created this account just to write a review for Kemper. I had been with Kemper for almost 15 years, and had 4 cars insured with them. Mainly because I hate changing and looking for new companies, not because they were anything special. My policy was supposed to renew today and to my surprise it was instead cancelled.

Last year a relative started living with me and I added him and his car to our policy, unaware that I wasn't allowed to. I never got a phone call, email or letter about it telling me so. I logged into my account several times and nothing was red flagged, they were taking their money and all was good. Then all of a sudden on the day the policy should have renewed they cancelled my insurance because my relative's car was on there. I asked them why no one called, and why was I even allowed to add it in the first place? The lady kept putting me on long holds only to come back on the phone to accuse me of having cars on my account that aren't mine. Even though the other three are. "Whose this car belong to, how about this one and the other one?" I was like, "Lady why don't you just read the policy."

At this point I was so frustrated and asked to speak to a supervisor. I was transferred to John, who also told me I can't renew and I have to go through the sales department to start a new policy. So I got in touch with sales and they wanted to charge me almost $500 for a down payment. I was like WTF? So I said BYE Kemper, and got another insurance company who was helpful, polite and got me a lot more coverage for a much lower price, and no down payment! I should thank Kemper for canceling my policy.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I was hit (t-boned) by a driver at an intersection and even though my insurance company (21st Century) was able to prove that the other driver was 100% at fault, it took months to do so and we had to go to arbitration. The Kemper adjuster, Danika **, was polite during the initial interview but since then has been a nightmare to deal with. According to Danika, there was a non-biased witness at the scene and they said I ran the red light. Needless to say, I know I did not. But Kemper insisted on this and eventually, the lawyer I'd hired to prove my claim, DROPPED my case. So now, I'm left dealing with Kemper and it's been 18 months...still no resolution.

I know they are expecting me to just give up, but I won't. I've heard every excuse in the book from the adjusters. She claims she never gets my emails. She claims she will ask her tech support to look into it. She says...no she PROMISES she will call me back...and she doesn't. It's absolutely the most frustrating experience I've ever had to deal with in my entire life. Kemper has shown zero accountability. They do not follow through and they blatantly lie. ZERO STARS.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

It has been the worse experience ever. I don’t have this insurance but I was hit by someone insured with Kemper. They been the worse. Customer service sucks. Denise the adjuster was rude all the time. She would tell me, "I’ll contact you next week," and when I would call again it was always the same answer... The police report was in my favor. My car was parked and the driver hit my car... not only they denied 100% of coverage they decided my car was a total loss and only sent me a check for the amount of 1900.

I spoke with a different adjuster Tiffany which she was much nicer and she indeed agreed with me that it was unfair and that the value of my car was much more but unfortunately she couldn’t do anything. She said to contact Denise again but my efforts were pointless. Now I have a debt of 4,500 because I still owe my car. I also have a car that doesn’t work and a check 1900 that doesn’t cover half of the damages... not to mention they took over 6 months to tell me I was ** and their decision was 50% or 0%. This is so unfair. They shouldn’t be open as a company. I wish they could treat people better and not only ** them over. I wish I could rate Kemper with 0.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Can I give less than one star? A vehicle that was insured by Kemper insurance drove through my yard, ripping out 50” of custom made post and rail fencing and snapping 2 30” tall incense cedar trees off at the ground and extensively damaging 2 other 30” tall trees to the point that they also had to be removed. The car came to rest in my garden where all of the engine oil dumped. Kemper's adjuster who was assigned to our claim, Ignacio **, told my husband that the driver of the vehicle had taken his girlfriend's car without permission, making it a stolen vehicle.

It took Kemper 9 weeks of stalling us until they ultimately refused to pay our claim. We have over $84000 in damages to our property and now OUR homeowners insurance is left holding the bag. I STRONGLY URGE ANYONE WHO HAS KEMPER INSURANCE OR IS CONSIDERING KEMPER TO FIND OTHER INSURANCE IMMEDIATELY. Even the adjuster who came to take pictures of our damage said "good luck getting this company to pay you".

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I was recently rear ended by a client of this auto insurance company. I recently purchased a new vehicle and inspite of there being LESS THAN 800 miles on the car they took an extra 2 days to approve repairs with new authentic parts and not refurbished parts. I drive a 7 passenger SUV and was given a Nissan Altima. This was fine until the planned company we were expecting was due to arrive and they absolutely refused to help or accommodate any requests for a vehicle with enough seats. Not to mention they were INCREDIBLY RUDE to deal with on the phone AND BASICALLY LAUGHED AT ME FOR BEING UPSET. Their customer service is appalling and they are clearly not trying to gain any new clients through the appeals process. I would strongly advise against doing any future business with this company based on my experience.

Resolution response: Sept. 19, 2017

After my review was published I did get a call back from Javier as well as an email from another adjuster. They took care of my medical bills as well as replaced my car seat. That is all I wanted, a phone call and a resolution. I still wish they would have been more attentive but I am happy someone did get back to me.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I was rear ended on 7/31/2017 by a driver with no insurance... I called my insurance and made a claim. I took pictures and provided it to them, found the collision shop and secured my own rental. I reached out Bridget ** about my rental and how to proceed after sending in photos. She told me my case was passed onto Javier **. I emailed Javier multiple times before he text me back and told me I get $15/day for a rental. Ok this is standard but when I called him (and he actually answered!) he was so nasty and rude and all I wanted was a rental car company they prefer. So I got Javier's manager Bill ** who called me (3 days later) after I wrote him an email and he apologized for Javier but said that he couldn't change my claim person and went on talking about his knee surgery?

My repairs total $7,900 and they sent me a check for $903.58. I asked for follow up on September 1st and just sent another email today September 8th. Wonder when I'll get a call. This company is such a hassle. Seems easier to not have insurance because the uninsured lady who hit me got off and I'm stuck with a deductible and a headache of dealing with Kemper. I will NEVER deal with this company again. You've been warned. Please take heed and steer clear of this company. Oh and I paid my 6 months up front.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have had Kemper for several years, with no complaints. Then my daughter and her three girls moved into my house temporarily until she could find a place of her own. While they lived with me the oldest grand daughter turned 16. I took her to get her permit and used my insurance card as proof of address. Sometime later my local insurance agent called me and said that Kemper was going to go up on my insurance because I had a teenage driver living at my house.

I told the agent I was not covering her. End of story, right. Wrong, Kemper has been taking 443 dollars out of my bank account for two months and now has dropped me because I don't have the money to keep paying. I told my agent that I didn't have the money that my grand daughter doesn't live with me anymore and I wanted my money back. She said that wasn't going to happen. They are thieves. They did not have authorization to take that much money put off my account. I'm retired, and that's half of my money.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

This is the absolute worst insurance company. They don't answer the phone and your adjuster doesn't return calls. We were supposed to get an advance on a deductible because the accident wasn't our fault. Not only didn't we get it, but our car was in the shop for a month and paid in full... and we still didn't get it. "Check #2 was supposed to be overnighted." Definitely not! After almost 2 months and having our car back for a few weeks... we finally got it. Buyer beware because their customer service is awful along with the adjusters!!!

Original review: June 9, 2017

Without having filed a claim, value of policy cannot be objectively evaluated. However, procedure as outlined appears to be easily accomplished. Customer service is based on local agency, with personnel which is always available, knowledgeable and friendly. The local agent is always happy to explain any questions about the policy and to suggest any other policy which might better meet my needs, but never pushy or aggressive to make a change.

Original review: June 5, 2017

A driver, covered under Kemper Insurance Agency, backed out of a parking space (at a gas station) and crashed into my car while I was standing at my gas tank pumping gas. The driver got out and apologized and handed over her insurance information. I called and started the claim immediately. The adjuster called me the morning after for the story and nothing since. I've called her numerous times and she consistently claims she can't get ahold of the insured. I called the insured myself and she said she has heard from the insurance company. I spoke with the insured about a week ago and just the morning the adjuster is claiming she can't get in touch with the insured.

This adjuster also said that I can have my own insurance company cover this until they can prove fault. This company has not showed any accountability and was actually extremely rude while speaking with them. Just seeing how they do business, I would NEVER put my trust in them to make sure I was taken care of as a client.

Not sure about Kemper - Auto?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Insurance for you.

Kemper - Auto Company Information

Kemper
www.kemper.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business