Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Kemper - Auto
1.35/5

Kemper - Auto

Kemper sells many types of insurance, including auto insurance. InsuraMatch is not working with Kemper yet, buy you can get multiple quotes from 26 verified carriers within minutes by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance to 26 states. Most customers who have switched to this company claim to have saved 20% on their insurance premiums. Many customers are also happy with their claims experience. The company carries basic and customized insurance packages and high-risk policies that other companies do not offer.

PROS

• Insurance enhancements to Protect Your Wallet, Protect Your Sanity and Protect Your Family
  • High-risk policies
  • Competitive rates compared to big brands
  • A wide selection of discounts, such as referral, married couple, loyalty and senior discounts
  • Easy online quote process

CONS

• Not all vehicle brands and models covered
  • Limited availability statewide

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Kemper - Auto Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I love this company. They are way cheaper than most and they have great customer service. I just had a deer hit my car and they were great. I took it to my friend who is in the collision business and they took care of everything. Best company by far. They were so helpful and wanted to make sure I was okay. I got a great rental while I'm waiting. It's nice to have a company that cares.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I happy. Very pleased with the service and options I was given. Rates have stayed lower than the competitors for the last few years. I would recommend this company to anyone looking. I am a client for life.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The price of the insurance is good and the coverage seems good. My sister also has the same company and she had to file a claim a couple of times and it seemed to go through without any issue so I am reasonably confident I wouldn't have any issues if I had to do it.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

This company has been nothing but a headache from the very beginning. I was involved in a vehicle accident in which the at fault driver is a Kemper client. I made my very 1st call to Kemper 9/13/19. It is now 10/18/19. So here I am 35 days later and still have not reached a conclusion with this company. I was assigned to an adjuster (Mashawna **) rather quickly, however once I was place with her I was unable to reach her. I would leave mssg after mssg just to not get a return call.

After 2 1/2 weeks of the message game and having to call customer service just to get answers, I was told that they had incorrect notes and my claim was in the segregation dept. On October 2nd I was told that my claim process would start from that day. It took me contacting supervisors, and plain old customer service just to get any type of answer regarding my "claim" just to get passed back to Mashawna (who does not answer calls). I was given 3 to 4 different names of people to contact and NOTHING was accomplished.

I am now dealing with Brittany **, who is a total loss adjuster, and have played nothing but the message game with her as well. I leave message after message and never receive a call back. Same with her supervisor, Jordan **. Nobody at this company seems to know how to use a phone. This is a VERY summarized description of my experience with this company.... DO NOT USE THEM!!!! And I pray for every American that they are never in an accident with someone who is covered by this company.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Don’t waste your time with Kemper worse insurance!!!! I had my car stolen In Aug 3, 2019. CHP found my car that same day it was stolen. The car was totaled and got the suspect on the spot. It’s now Oct 17, 2019 Donald ** is my adjuster and has been giving me the round about. Every time I call him, he never answers. I leave him voicemails and never return my calls!! I’ve tried to talked to his supervisor and he has never called me back as well!! Avoid this company and their headaches. All they do is collect their monthly payment and when you actually need them, they give you the round about!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

On 9/17/19 I got a flat tire on the side of the highway around 9p.m. I was unable to get the lug nuts off to change the tire myself. So, I called roadside and was assured they would send a tow truck right away as well as the police to block off the lane as it was on a bend and we weren't visible until you were right up on us. After 3 hours of Kemper telling us police and tow truck were on the way, I demanded to speak to a supervisor.

I spoke to supervisor Moses and was told "I guess nobody feels like changing a tire" and that roadside would not be coming. We had no other choice but to leave the car on the side of the highway, get a hotel and wait until morning to see if someone felt like changing a tire then. The next morning we called roadside again, were hung up on 2 different times and it took over an hour before they dispatched a tow truck driver. I have tried to get in touch with customer service since then and no one will call me back. I spoke to my insurance broker, Mike ** staff to have them follow-up with customer service as I had devoted enough time to this matter without results and, after multiple phone calls as well as an email, no one from his office will return my calls/email. I am still in shock that Kemper’s roadside gets to pick and choose when they help their customers who are stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of the night.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

These people are bad. I've been with them, for 10 months. Got hit. Geico declared 100% liability. Kemper is squeezing out payments in dribs and drabs. It's not worth the savings for the headaches. They suck eggs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I carried Kemper for just over a year, full coverage on my vehicle. When I had to submit a claim after a car collided into my car (other vehicle was at fault) I ran into trouble. That was when I found out my policy did not cover towing even though I always carry towing coverage, but it took me an hour and a half on the phone to find out I was not covered. 45 minutes to submit my claim then I find out the person I submitted my flareon to wasn't even qualified to tell me my coverage because "a licensed agent" was not available at 7pm. He transferred me to the department that sets up towing (even though I asked right away for a tow truck) after taking my claim for 45 minutes. They were unable to dispatch a tow truck because my agent did not put a towing rider on my policy. The towing department took another 30 minutes to figure out I was not covered.

I received an email of my claim representative's contact information and called the next day and followed up by sending an email. Over the next 2 1/2 weeks I continued to attempt to contact the claim agent without success. I had already received a quote from the body shop estimating repairs that likely exceeded the value of my car. I assured the wie got to my assigned claims agent who was not calling me back.

When I finally reached my claims agent, she informed me my claim was with a different agent who was to do a validation on my vehicle, arrange for my car to be picked up from the body shop as my car's damage exceeded its value. A month and 1 1/2 weeks went by before a value was made on my car and documentation was sent to my lender to settle my loan, they sent me a check for $37. And here I am still without a car but at least I was able to buy another car. The other insurance company accepted responsibility for the accident, so I was still out my $500 deductible.

Fast forward to 2 months and 3 weeks after my accident, after Kemper had switched me 3 times for claims agents, no deductible being paid out to me... I finally contact a supervisor who says, "Well we received some money from the other insurance company but your claim is still in the subrogation department," and gives me another agent to call. When I speak to her, she informs me no money was received by kemper so she needs to follow up with the other company to see why 6 weeks has gone by since kemper sent the demand for payment. She asked for "a couple days" to get a reply.

4 days later I call her back (after I had just gotten off the phone with the other insurance company) to get my update. She said she hasn't gotten a reply and would need to email them again. I told her I just talked to them, where they informed me (today September 20th) they had sent payment to Kemper on August 5th. My accident was June 24! As of September 20th, the subrogation agent said she is having a check issued to me for my deductible.

I have never received such poor service following an accident, lack of return calls or emails, and general disconcern from an insurance company regarding an accident claim. I will never do business with this company again! All they care about is their own financial bottom line. There is no reason god enough where a policyholder should have to fight so hard to work their way through a claim after a car accident! I am fortunate that the only loss involved was the vehicle and not my health. Avoid this company at all costs if you value service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I had a auto policy with them. I send a check paid in full for six months on auto, then next day I receive a bill for the auto. On the bill it say, “If we send you a bill there is a $8.00 dollar fee.” (Never asked them to send one.) So I contacted my Insurance guy and told him to cancel this policy after the six months, so six months later I get a new bill for the next six months. I did not pay it (because I canceled it). (If you don't pay they just cancel your policy, RIGHT?) So next month I get a bill for $41.23 so I called them. The guy tells me there is a $20.00 dollar late fee for not paying. I told him I canceled it, then when I paid the last bill they took the $8.00 dollars out for their fee, and claim that payment was short, then added a $13.23 fee for being short. So now I received a bill from the collection agent.

So I called them and told them what happen (these people are bought and paid for by KEMPER. CROOKS. He tells me they will take the $8.00 fee off leaving me with $33.23. Now if I don't pay it it will go on my credit lowering my credit score, meaning that when you buy insurance they look at your credit score, what a great way to squeeze more money out of you, this is CORRUPT! I will never buy insurance from these crooks!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

My car was hit on the driver side damaging & caving in the door, bending the piece underneath, & scratching the back door. Once I was finally able to get in touch with the claims department, the headache began. I was assigned to Sharon **. Every time I called to speak to Sharon I had to leave a message. Maybe she would call me back same day. After a couple days I was told to download an app on my phone & submit pictures. After another few days I finally received a check in the mail for half of the estimated amount. The body shop had my car for a week before an estimator came out. The body shop was given the go-ahead to do what was needed. My car was completely repaired by the following Friday. It took Sharon 2 weeks to get the check to the body shop!! My car was being held hostage by Kemper! Unacceptable!

Kemper - Auto Company Information