2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.65/5

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance, nonstandard policies and various discounts in 26 states. It carries basic and customized coverage packages and policies for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. The company provides pet protection and accident forgiveness options, but its specialty coverage is available only in California.

BOTTOM LINE

Kemper specializes in competitive auto policy rates and offers several discounts, such as retro loyalty, safe driving and multipolicy reductions. It provides nonstandard coverage options in California.

PROS

• Variety of discounts
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Nonstandard insurance options

CONS

• Not available in all states
  • Specialty coverage only in Calif.

Top Kemper - Auto Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

I love this company. They are way cheaper than most and they have great customer service. I just had a deer hit my car and they were great… Best company by far. They were so helpful and wanted to make sure I was okay… It's nice to have a company that cares.

… As a young adult insurance costs can be very high. I like that Kemper took into account my clean driving record and everything to provide a cost that is manageable for someone my age… I highly recommend them to everyone especially young adults.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Kemper auto insurance?

Kemper specializes in low-cost auto insurance through its direct-to-consumer model and streamlined marketing efforts. Kemper offers discounts for multipolicy coverage, referrals, paperless billing and safe driving. The company also extends discounts to policyholders who’ve been insured for twelve continuous months or more and to drivers 55 or older who complete a state-approved accident prevention course. It provides nonstandard coverage in California.

Kemper coverage options

Kemper’s coverage includes extras like accident forgiveness and renewal assurance. It also offers pet protection, which pays up to $2,000 if your cat or dog is injured in a covered accident, as well as enhanced car seat replacement with no deductible. Kemper’s dependent protection also provides up to $1,000 in daycare costs if a covered accident leaves you unable to care for your child.

Kemper has a roadside assistance option, which helps out if you get a flat tire, run out of gas or need a jumpstart or towing. Its other coverages include:

• Rental car reimbursement
  • Trip interruption coverage
  • Guaranteed repairs by a network facility

In some areas, Kemper provides nonstandard auto insurance options for hard-to-insure customers. The company also offers SR-22 insurance and a reconditioned vehicle program that insures vehicles with salvage titles.

Kemper insurance quotes and costs

Kemper doesn’t disclose its rates online, but you can apply for a quote on its website. Its policyholders can save money by bundling policies or paying all or some of their premiums upfront. You can choose between an annual, semiannual, quarterly or monthly payment plan, and many Kemper customers qualify for a down payment of one month’s premium.

Kemper auto insurance FAQ

Who owns Kemper?
Kemper is owned by Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation.
Does Kemper offer gap insurance?
Yes, Kemper offers gap insurance for drivers whose vehicles are declared a total loss.
How do I file a claim with Kemper?
You can contact a claims representative 24/7 to file a claim or do so online.
Where is Kemper auto insurance available?
Kemper auto insurance is available in 26 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Is Kemper insurance good?

Kemper’s many discounts can help policyholders save money by bundling coverage, paying electronically, driving safely and more. If you’ve been continuously insured by another auto insurance company for 12 months or more, you can switch to Kemper and qualify for a discount. While Kemper’s policies aren’t available in all states, we recommend looking into it if you live in its service area.

Kemper - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: April 10, 2021

I was rear-ended by a driver with Kemper auto insurance 5 months ago. The driver pulled over after the accident and I took pictures of our cars, the other driver's license, registration, and insurance information. There was absolutely no doubt that the other driver was at fault, as he rear-ended me while I was stopped. Just received a letter from Kemper that states "We determined there is no coverage under our insured's policy for this loss. As a result, we will be unable to provide payment for any damages from this accident and closed our files." If they won't pay for a run-of-the-mill fender bender, what kind of coverage are they offering their customers exactly? I'll be fighting this through my insurance company. Getting back my $500 is now a matter of principle.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

On 12/31/2020 my parked truck was hit by a drunk driver at 3AM doing 40-50 around the corner on wet roads landing her right in the front corner of my truck pushing it 5-6 ft to the side of where it was originally parked. Kemper/Infinity had me download their app to submit pictures of the damage for the repair estimate because they couldn't send anyone out due to COVID. Their repair estimate came back at just over $2,000.00 and my adjuster said we can make the payment today for repairs! (Never accept the initial offer!)

I decided to get my truck towed to the dealership for a supplemental estimate, which came back at $10,000.00 more and my frame was bent, bringing the damage to my truck to $12,600.28. That was on 1/6/2021 and where my claim stopped moving forward completely. I reached out numerous times to my adjuster Cinthia who doesn't like to return phone calls apparently. On 1/22/2021 after calling multiple times and never hearing anything back, they sent my claim to a 3rd party appraisal company for a 3rd supplemental estimate. I called the 3rd party appraisal company directly on 1/26/2020 since I can never get anything from Kemper/Infinity, and they let me know they were still waiting on an "additional mileage fee" that needed to be approved.

I did some digging and found my adjusters manager, Coleen's, info and emailed her on 2/3/2021 asking why the fee had not been approved yet and what is taking so long on my claim. (After all, they called the 3rd party company and then didn't want to approve the fee, what a joke!) Within minutes she had emailed the 3rd party appraisal company for the approval, and at my request, a RUSH request for this appointment.

It is now 2/9/2020 and I have been without a vehicle for over a month, no 3rd estimate or inspection of my vehicle, and still no settlement on my claim. I filed a complaint with the California Department of Insurance yesterday 2/8/2021, as California law states that a settlement must be reached 40 days after the claim is acknowledged. As of right now, they will not make the state law deadline for timely handling of claims. and what's even worse is after they make their decision, they will have another 30 days to pay the claim, which I am sure they will drag out till the last day if it keeps going the way it is. Kemper Infinity needs to have their license revoked! AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

My parked car was hit by a Kemper/Infinity insured driver on 11/30/2020. It is now 12/18/2020, and I have had no movement on this claim. This is the most unprofessional organization I have ever dealt with. How are they still licensed to do business? Please explain. The claims rep for my incident, Gabriel **, is non-responsive, and his manager, Anthony **, is just as impotent. Supposedly, they mailed a check, but hence, where is this Ghost Check? I have not received it. The Better Business Bureau needs to step in. I need my vehicle fixed, but at this point, it isn't looking good. They don't even offer to pay for a rental car until after-the-fact, so who knows if you'll ever get reimbursed by these morons. I'm guessing you don't need a GED to work for this company. I don't understand how this company can be allowed to STEAL/CHEAT all of these individuals. Look at all of these reviews!!!! Doesn't this tell you something. My God!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I recently had the misfortune of colliding with a car that entered the road from a parking lot without stopping. Kemper contacted me immediately after receiving the accident report, supplying the contact information of the collision- and medical adjuster. Both adjusters were extremely helpful and caring in their support!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Hello. On Wednesday, October 21st a young woman backed into my home. She damaged the structure of the side of my home and dented the garage door. My home is only four years old. I cannot open my garage door therefore rendering it unusable and my car has to be parked on the street. I contacted Infinity/Kemper Insurance on the same day. It took two days for someone to respond to my claim. Once someone returned my call it took another week for me to connect to a claim presentative (I had to seek them out on my own no help from the company). Once I connected with him and received a claim number I was informed that someone (an adjustor) would be contacting me to set up an appointment to come look at the damage their insured driver did to my home.

In the meantime I sent pictures of the damage. It has been two weeks and no adjustor has called or come out to my home. It's been three weeks since the accident. Has anyone had any issues with this company's lack or response and horrible customer service? I need my home to be repaired as the weather will be taking a turn for the worse in the upcoming winter months. Also, I would like to have access my garage. Is it normal for a company to take this long to respond?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I was hit by a driver that is covered by Kemper Auto. They are refusing to cover all of the damages caused by the wreck. They have dragged this out for months. It took almost a full month to hear any information from the appraiser regarding a supplemental that was sent in by my auto body shop. The only reason we received any answer was because I personally contacted the appraiser's boss because the appraiser himself couldn't be bothered to do his job. Don't expect your car to be fully repaired if anything does happen to you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

DO NOT USE THIS INSURANCE COMPANY!!!! I plan to report them to the Better Business Bureau!!!! This is the most unprofessional, sneaky, incompetent companyI have ever dealt with!!!! I am having so much trouble with them that I may have to call an accident lawyer. They may be inexpensive but the minute you actually have an accident you can forget getting any assistance.

Just to start, I had an accident on a Friday and reported it to claims department. I was told I would receive a call by Tuesday of the next week. As of Friday I still had not heard from them and I tried to call numerous times but could not get any help from anyone not to mention the recorded message that just kept repeating over and over again.

They didn't come out for an estimate of my vehicle, After my Auto mechanic finally was able to speak with someone they gave him an incorrect email to send the pictures of the damage. They don't cover the rental until after the repairs have been done. They do this because they don't have any sense of urgency in getting the repairs taken care of. Meanwhile it has been almost two and a half weeks and I have still not been able to get in contact with MY CLAIMS ADJUSTER!!!! I can't even begin to tell you what crooks they are!!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! They also go by the name of Alliance and also Infinity.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

My father was severely injured by a driver covered by Kemper Auto. Kemper Auto denied the claim stating that their driver was not covered for the bodily injury claim, even if the driver was completely at fault and minimum coverage in California requires that the driver have 15k/30k for bodily injury. If Kemper cannot cover bodily injury, what do they cover? Kemper is operating under false pretense under California Insurance laws.

Original review: March 18, 2020

On 7/27/19, I was impacted from the back and I hit the front car, my car got totaled, I was in pain and still having issues regarding the injury but I decided to treat myself at home after my therapies at Kaiser canceled my second appointment and wasted my time waiting for him. The accident wasn't my fault, I lost the new car I just bought. My insurance Mercury paid the bank and cashed it and I ended owing 5k to the bank for that car because Mercury didn't cover all. Anyway, the Insurance of the person rear-ended me (Alliance/Kemper) is giving me bs to pay my bodily injuries and lost wages claim for missing work. I am a contractor so I don't get paid if I don't work. I provided the medical records and my client's notes, explaining I was absent from work because of the accident and profit and loss statement. However, Alliance/Kemper is saying that the information is not specific enough and denying part of the claim.

I do agree that the doctor's note and records are very vague, but it is all I have. Regardless, I see now that this is the way Alliance/ Kemper does business. I have been talking to Kaiser about the medical records so I got directed to third-party liability insurance called Equian that supposedly takes care of all this. However, I just checked and Equian has terrible reviews just like Alliance/Kemper. So I have no expectations. I do not believe I should have to hire an attorney for 17 days of lost wages. My adjuster for Alliance/Kemper is Diana ** and her Supervisor is Nicolas **. Both very unprofessional and misleading. I will update to let you know the results.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

One of Kemper's insured rear ended my car on 2/17/2020, causing about $1500 in damages. Their driver received a citation. Numerous calls and messages to Kemper go unanswered as of 2/25/2020. I can't imagine anyone buying insurance from them. I will probably have to take their driver to small claims court to get reimbursed.

Kemper - Auto Company Information