Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Kemper - Auto
1.43/5

Kemper - Auto

Kemper sells many types of insurance, including auto insurance. InsuraMatch is not working with Kemper yet, buy you can get multiple quotes from 26 verified carriers within minutes by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance to 26 states. Most customers who have switched to this company claim to have saved 20% on their insurance premiums. Many customers are also happy with their claims experience. The company carries basic and customized insurance packages and high-risk policies that other companies do not offer.

PROS

• Insurance enhancements to Protect Your Wallet, Protect Your Sanity and Protect Your Family
  • High-risk policies
  • Competitive rates compared to big brands
  • A wide selection of discounts, such as referral, married couple, loyalty and senior discounts
  • Easy online quote process

CONS

• Not all vehicle brands and models covered
  • Limited availability statewide

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

139 Kemper - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had Kemper car insurance for about two months. When the car that I bought stopped working I called him to cancel the policy. 30 days prior to me canceling my coverage my mother was nice enough to help me with the payment that month. She gave them her checking account numbers and they withdrew the payment for that month. She only gave information for one month. However, months later my mother noticed a charge I have checking account. Every month there was a withdrawal $107. She did not know where this money was going.

Upon investigating, she realized that Kemper have been withdrawing payments for my car insurance policy that I had canceled 7 months ago. So do the math, 7 months X $107!!!! They have been ripping lost my poor senior citizen mother. All my mother gets is a social security check every month. She has her own car payments and car insurance to pay for. She was merely trying to help me out for one month after I bought my vehicle. When I cancel the policy they charged me $50. I paid the $50!!! Yet somehow my mother where is paying $107 every month for the past 7 months. This is the kicker... After all is said and done, after I went crazy on them and make sure they cancelled my policy. Guess what happened again this month? They took the $107 again. Help me please!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Stay away from them!!! Their customer service sucks. It's the worst in any insurance company I had. I was told very over a recorded line (I recorded them and the company records) that I can get my tow reimbursed $100 just send in receipt. I sent in all info and no check. I then emailed them and ask for reply or call back and nothing. Finally, got reply back stating they can't reimburse me sue to disablement. The rep didn't explain what that means. But I had car towed to mechanic who voiced he can't fix since my engine was out. The next day I had it towed back to my house. I have towing up to $100. So why didn't I get reimbursed? These were 2 different days and I'm not a mechanic... Of course if my engine is out. I will need a tow back. I paid the first tow and was waiting for reimbursement check like they said I would get and never got anything.

Fraud company. You pay high insurance and get bad service and can't even get a tow fee back, in which you pay every month anyways. Stay away from this company. They don't respond in timely matter. They don't work with you. They lie and don't even take accountability. My third party insurance company Goosehead has been asked by me to find me another insurance company ASAP! KEMPER HAS TO GO NOW.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I had Kemper for auto insurance for several years. My car was rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight. Other driver had Progressive insurance, admitted fault. I filed accident report with Kemper that same day online. I never was contacted by Kemper. I called them after waiting for 3 days. The person I spoke to, Michelle **, was so rude I asked her why she was being so nasty. The Kemper adjuster finally went to the repair shop I took the car to and immediately deemed my car a total loss. In a few days the Progressive adjuster went & said car was total loss. Progressive offered me more money for pay out than Kemper. Progressive was so much more professional and responsive than Kemper. Kemper NEVER contacted me. I made the only contact with them. I got a new car and I told my agent to cancel the policy with Kemper because of their total lack of customer service. It is their loss since I also canceled my home insurance with them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

In November 2018, I returned via snail mail my policy renewal notice, that was set to go into effect in January 2019. I wrote to cancel my policy as soon as possible (as I had secured cheaper coverage elsewhere), and to not renew my policy. I signed my handwritten statement. I received a call in December stating since I did not specify an exact date, my coverage would continue and my checking account would continue to be debited. I was told I could email my request and was provided an email address. I emailed the company on January 3, stating to cancel and not renew my account as previously requested, and included the date January 3.

On January 21, I received a call that because my email contained a typed signature and not an actual signature, my policy was still in effect. I asked if the agent could use my signature on the snail mail request from November on the January email, and I was told no. I received snail mail today, January 22, notifying me my policy would be cancelled due to non-payment (I notified my bank in December I was not renewing this policy and to stop debits) and that if payments were not made timely, I would be reported to the credit bureaus. I have never filed a claim with Kemper, so I cannot attest to their claim service, but their business practices are reprehensible. Look elsewhere for coverage, or you may end up with lifelong coverage you do not want at prices that can easily be beaten with other insurance providers.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I honestly have no words for this insurance company. My car was involved in a hit and run a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately I was nowhere near my car so I don't have any explanations other than my new car is ruined: the wheel flare was off, my back bumper is damaged, the left rear side on the top to my jeep has gashes in it and a scratch along the back window, a dent in the passenger door, and my mirror was shattered and hanging. All of the damages consistent along the driver left side. I filed my claim online right away and did not hear back from anyone.

I had to call in order to start the process and unfortunately this went on as a collision report, I was originally told an appraiser was going to take a look at my car, however I did choose an auto body shop that works with Kemper so I was told the appraiser was not necessary. The shop made the estimate and submitted it. The woman that reviewed the estimate told the shop to separate certain damages because by the looks of the pictures the gashes on the top rear side of my jeep were previous damages and that current damages were not consistent. Myself and the shop tried calling the representative handling my claim several times to say that the damages were consistent and that that was a misunderstanding and that someone needed to look in person at my car.

After a week, I finally heard back from the representative Anne, and she told me and the manager of the shop that an appraiser will be coming out to look at my car, she also informed me this was the auto body shop's fault, that they submitted two different estimates (which was not true, they were told to). Another week goes by and nothing, I have left several messages within that week.

I finally get a hold of another representative that gives me the number of the appraiser. I called on a Friday, no response. I called again on Monday, she answers however, she is in New York. She informs me she is not looking at my car, just getting another statement. I was incredibly frustrated at this point yet, I cooperated and was incredibly nice and patient. I called Anne shortly after and she informed me she gave this case to her supervisor to look at and that she will call later that day. I never got a call, I called the next morning on Tuesday. She said her supervisor gave it to HER supervisor and they will be in touch.

I got a call later Tuesday evening that they are not covering all damages being they are inconsistent. They told me to get coverage for the gashes on the top rear left of my jeep I would have to submit ANOTHER collision report since the gashes in it could not have been from a car, possibly from ski racks, etc... I was so angry and I said "but we don't know exactly how it was hit or what kind of car it was or anything, I wasn't there, it could have been anything, and it was all at the same time!" I was told in return, "yeah, it doesn't matter. My supervisor has been doing this a long time and the car couldn't have done that so it was something else"... THAT WAS THE RESPONSE I GOT!!! This process has taken 3 weeks and I have gotten nowhere.

I would have to pay my deductible $1000 to get some damages covered and report ANOTHER collision report for the same incident. I am so disgusted by this company, I was treated like a liar and a criminal this entire process. I have submitted a complaint to the CA department of insurance. My advice to anyone searching for cheap insurance, DO NOT USE KEMPER!!! Unethical, fraudulent, and dishonest.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Hit by a person insured with Kemper Insurance. It was the other driver's fault and a week later I have only been able to contact the adjuster once. Have left several email and even tried calling the Supervisor of the adjuster. Got voicemail again. They are refusing to pay for me a rental and I am getting run around. I am without a vehicle and they are rude and just send me from voicemail to voicemail. I have determined I will have to hire an attorney just to have some resolve. This company should be out of business.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was rear-ended by an overspeeding guy having Kemper Insurance. They don't send adjuster, they ask to send pictures thru their app but their app while they know the app doesn't let upload the pictures I took on the incidence. I am wondering if this is intentional avoidance to provide the service they ought to give. My Exhaust pipe is dragging and they expect me to drive this car. Sooo disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I am a great driver, never have been in a wreck. I paid month to month for coverage. I made first payment, then they offered coverage. Debit card expired and at same time I found better insurance rate with Geico. I did not update card on purpose as to automatically terminate my policy. Instead they continue to rack up month to month charges and then send threatening letter about going to collections. Why would they continue to assume I wanted coverage? Why would I first have to pay them to get coverage, and when I don't pay I still get coverage? Should I have been able to start with Kemper for free then and just rack up a bill and pay later if it's ok and convenient for them now? Again, I never filed any claims, so I just paid for coverage, but when I don't pay stop trying to charge me for months of "coverage".

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Twisted billing sucks big time. Kemper is good only to get you money monthly. I never filed a claim which to my credit of good driving, not them. Notified their CS via email/call a month in advance that I will cancel the policy. Paid last month, provided new policy to cancel, got a cancellation notice from them dated next day after the date it was paid through by last premium. And 2 months after that I'm still getting a monthly amount bill keeps on coming. Spoke with their Billing Dept - they are even unable to ground and explain in a human sound mind terms that charge but harassed me with Collectors and ruining by CScore. May they be treated according to their wicked billing that embezzles money after their own Cancellation Notice is issued.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I was hit by a driver insured by Kemper— 100% the other driver's fault, and he admitted it. What should be a smooth and straightforward experience has been a nightmare because of Kemper's inability/unwillingness to deal with the situation. After four phone calls and as many emails, I had to wait nearly a month before my messages were returned by Kemper, and this is after my insurance company threatened to call the adjuster's supervisor (The adjuster at Kemper also gave me incorrect contact info, so I had to research it myself to track her down).

Then, after the repairs were assessed, they never called me to let me know— which was their responsibility— resulting in further delays. I'm still not out of the woods yet, as the repairs have not been done. And I'm dreading there being a situation in which I again have to rely on communication from Kemper. If that happens again, I know now that I'll have to be the one calling and emailing and threatening in order to get them to do their part. Absolutely dreadful, terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was hit by a driver who ran a red light. My car was deemed a total loss. After weeks of multiple phone calls/emails with no response, I finally received an email from the total loss adjuster as well and a settlement offer. The offer was a JOKE... I called to discuss this with the adjuster...and ask why such the lowball on and upgraded 2015 car? The response was based on current value. I pulled over 20 comps of the car that were well over the amount we were offered, which did not even come close to covering what is owed on the car.

I asked them to extend the rental (my only means to get to work) while we submit a rebuttal to fight the lowball over they gave us, they said absolutely not! This accident was not even my fault...and I feel as if I am being punished for something I could not have prevented! We have our home and auto bundled with this company. Once this is all over...they will lose our business 100%! We pay $500 a month and get treated like nobodies. HORRIBLE. JUST HORRIBLE.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I bought a RV travel trailer at which time I of course got insurance for it through Kemper insurance and I was even was given an option to increase coverage to 10,000. So I did increase it. And while in storage it got damaged and they totaled it. And instead of paying 7,000 to repair it they gave me 3,000 and took 3 different claims agents and months of storage fees and damage increasing. So they charged me more to get better and higher coverage and still didn’t even get it fixed.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Neighbor ran into me at a stop sign and the body shop estimated $4,200 damages. Kemper estimated $2,400, both estimates were with used parts. When the used parts arrive, they were damaged worst than the original parts on the car and couldn't be repaired. Six weeks into the process and I have a low ball estimate and I can't open the hatch of my SUV. The process doesn't appear to be any better for my neighbor.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have Kemper insurance, opened a claim, and was working with two representatives. Both never responded to me. The first requested some information, which I sent, and never called me back despite leaving multiple voicemails. I then received a letter from them threatening to close my claim because they said that I was unresponsive. I immediately called the agent listed on that letter and again, no response. I even spent a follow up email explaining everything and left another voicemail. Still no response. I really hate the customer service with this company. It might be cheaper, but do yourself a favor and go with a better company. No point in paying less if you can't even use your insurance to settle a claim.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The price of the insurance is good and the coverage seems good. My sister also has the same company and she had to file a claim a couple of times and it seemed to go through without any issue so I am reasonably confident I wouldn't have any issues if I had to do it.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I was hit by a driver "insured" by Kemper. It was 100% his fault. He turned left directly in front of my car. After five days of countless calls no one at Kemper has bothered to contact me. After looking at other reviews it is pretty obvious that this is their usual business practice. I really wonder about the handful of five star reviews.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

The adjuster for the claim never answered the phone. I tried calling the supervisor of the claims team and no respond. The customer service representative did not know any details about the claim and they only forwarded the calls to the adjuster. It was a loop with no ending. Avoid dealing with Kemper Insurance as much as you can.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I am writing this 'review' over a year later- mainly due to what Kemper did and how it has continued to affect my 86 yr. old Dad and myself, in my 60's and disabled. In 2017, my Dad asked that some of the 'limits' of a couple sections of his homeowners' policy be 'lowered'... first and foremost, because they were excessively high, which was unnecessary for such a tiny early 1920's home. Not long after... they sent him (us) a notice to 'non-renew' for a bunch of nonexistent reasons, such as 'tree's touching the dwelling' etc which were blatantly UNTRUE!

We were able to obtain (finally) another policy for less money and BETTER coverages but learned along the way that apparently when an Insurance company badmouths a residence... it is easily LOOKED UP (even if totally inaccurate) by other companies!! So, while we obtained another policy 9 months later THAT company sent a notice of 'non-renewal' listing the 'tree's' etc! I left THAT company a review much like this one! Kemper you made a fortune off my Dad for years. My then wife of some years back who WAS an Insurance agent told him he was 'paying too much' and offered to get him a palatable rate (which he didn't do). Kemper is a nasty, heartless and in my opinion (like MOST Insurance companies) EVIL entity that should be AVOIDED- or if you HAVE a policy find those rare Insurers who are still human, rather than NASTY!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Went with another insurance company, had all the paperwork from new company forward to Kemper. Yet they withdraw a payment from our bank account 6 days after we canceled the policy. It's been over 6 days and still can't get our money refunded. Stay away from this company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I purchased a new vehicle. I had to cancel my policy. I was told the policy had not been effect for 60 days therefore I could not cancel. Lo and behold I just got off the phone with them and you can cancel before the 60 day period. Money has been deducted from my acct. Thankfully they will give me a refund check. Not the whole amount but for half. I changed my address for the refund check and go figure, it's a different zip code so my premium has gone up that's why I'll only get half the refund. Oh wait I canceled that though. I'm confused. Well I can send paperwork in to backdate my cancelation. No thanks. Kemper got some free money out of me. Hopefully it won't be the same for you.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Had to use the roadside assistance twice - both times were a joke. 40 minutes with no call back. Stranded on the highway. Then, I call back and they claim that I called in to cancel? We're leaving Kemper due to their poor roadside assistance. If they are any indication of how their insurance is - no thanks.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I've never had a company treat me with such disrespect. I've only been a customer of theirs since April, but let me tell you I will never be a customer of theirs again. I purchased a new car and needed to add it to my existing policy. Nobody would help me. They kept telling me to call someone else and I almost lost my car. I had to go with another insurance company who actually wanted to help me. Then this piece of junk company took an auto payment that they had refused to take out until this month. When I called customer service to complain the agent cut me off.

Then when I told her to shut up and let me finish she accused me of swearing and using vulgar language. I do not swear and am offended that anyone would say something like that about me. Then I told her I wanted a supervisor and she placed me on hold for 10 minutes and got me with Lynn who accused me of lying about them taking my payment! Worst company ever. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

When someone hits your car in the middle of the day and totals it, while it's parked outside your house, you would think the driver's insurance company would accept responsibility, right? Not if that insurance company happens to be Kemper. Our first indication that we were dealing with a company determined to deny a claim no matter what, was when we had the misfortune to be assigned a claims agent by the name of Yolanda **. We were patiently prepared to give her all the pertinent information, including the police report number, but the first question she had for us was "where's the car?" When we told her the police had ordered it removed, she said "I'm not filing this claim if the car isn't at the scene of the accident." We then attempted to speak to her supervisor, but even though this individual was pleasant to deal with (unlike Yolanda), she also asked why the police had removed it.

I responded that perhaps she ought to ask the officer in question (whose information I provided her with), but perhaps it was because there was glass and metal all over the street, and we were opposite an elementary school, where students were due to be released at any moment. Since that conversation, we tried to get information from our insurance agent, hoping that he would have better luck getting cooperation from the Claims Team at Kemper. At one point he indicated that he thought they would deny our claim because they stated to him that they had been unable to contact their client. My husband knew that the driver had been issued a citation for inattentive driving and that he would have a subsequent court date. We tracked down the prosecuting attorney's office and made note of the date and time of hearing.

I emailed both insurance companies with this information, suggesting that they send a representative to hopefully be able to speak with the driver in person. Just in case, my husband showed up, and (no surprise) neither insurance companies were represented. My husband was able, however, to speak to the owner of the vehicle and asked her point blank if she had authorized the driver to drive her car that day. The owner was a passenger in the vehicle. She told my husband that indeed she had asked him to drive since she was suffering from a migraine. My husband asked her to contact Yolanda ** and tell her exactly that.

The owner claimed that both she and the driver had attempted to contact Yolanda on several occasions and couldn't even leave her a message because a recording came on saying "mailbox is full". Today we received a curt letter from Yolanda saying our claim is denied because "we determined there is no coverage under our insured's policy for this loss. As a result, we will be unable to provide payment for any damages resulting from this accident and closed our file." Unbelievable!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have never encountered a worse customer service, that I have with Kemper. You call for help and NOBODY will help you. They will transfer you over to the "right department" over and over and over again, only to wind up, AGAIN, with the first person I had talked to. You simply can't get any help with any of the CSRs. I have had this experience more than once. I have had years of customer service experience. I simply am flabbergasted, as to how that company does any business. This company is worthless. Besides, their car insurance is extremely high. Luckily, I changed car insurances and I am selling my home the end of the month. So, then I will have no more dealings with this, completely worthless company. If I could give it zero points, I would have.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I started a policy with Kemper insurance after my agent found me a good deal. It was at a very reasonable rate considering my driving history. However, less than two months after starting the policy, I moved from one Los Angeles neighborhood to another. Shortly after my move, I paid my bill for the month of July, paying the minimum that was due. Kemper then raised my insurance premium 280% without notification.

When I received my bill for the next month, it was almost triple what I had originally signed up for. When I asked about this I was told that my zip code was one of the most expensive zip codes in the state. They insisted that the rate increase was for no other reason than the move. There were no incidents or claims of any kind.

I asked them to lower it back to a reasonable amount, and said that if they did not I would cancel and find another company. Apparently they did not really care much about this, and insisted there was nothing they can do. I found another agent who found me a rate that was virtually the same as my original rate with another company. It was embarrassing how quickly it took to find a better deal, which made me also fire my agent who got me the policy with Kemper (though this agent did the best he could.)

I cancelled the policy as quickly as I could, before the next billing cycle had begun. Kemper then sent me a bill saying that I still owed them money. Apparently, they can simply decide arbitrarily that my premium can be raised anytime for any reason, and that they can then claim that I didn’t pay for coverage that I received (even though I paid my bill for the month in full at the time that it was due, in fact it was autopay so there’s no way I could have chosen to underpay). The fact that they decided to raise my premium after the fact means that no matter what I wanted, I was going to pay them a rate 280% higher than what I initially agreed to. Any reasonable organization would provide a warning about a rate increase immediately, not simply pretend like nothing had happened.

Basically, if you want an insurance company that will lure you in with a competitive rate, and then find any reason at all to raise your premium astronomically without any notification or warning, giving you no opportunity to remedy the situation, you should really go with this company. That was obviously sarcasm, stay away. Do not go with them, they are thieves. The fact that this is legal is a travesty.

Original review: June 15, 2018

How can you say someone is not 100% at fault for an accident when they ran a stop sign. There were witnesses. The other party wasn't even speeding. A week after the accident and I still have not received a rental car. I was told to borrow the money from someone and pay for it myself. I'm a single mother. That is not option. I will sue this company if it continues. You are leaving me no choice.

Original review: June 8, 2018

On 5/30/18 my wife was in a collision with a Kemper Auto insured driver running a red light. Driver cited. I contacted customer service on 5/30, I spoke with a very polite young lady, she took all the pertinent information related to the accident along with my personal information. The rep politely issued me a claim number along with the claims adjuster's name and phone number and extension. She then transferred me to the claims adjuster's team office, I spoke with a Leliani (unsure of the correct spelling of her last name... She muddled it), this woman was very nice in the beginning, but as soon as the car settlement started (they totaled my car), oh, things changed. This woman was very rude.

Pay CLOSE attention to the vehicles they compare yours with. They added $2700 to a car they choose with a 104,000 miles on it for a 2011, and only $600 for ours only having 70k. They don't add all the options that your car has. They will not give you a dime for any items you've added to your car. (Does not add value) as she states. With Kemper, you are NOT going to be put back into pre-accident condition.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I was hit by a gentleman insured by Kemper who ran a red light. He came across 6 lanes. He was at fault and cited. My car was totaled and I was in therapy for my back for 4 months. Kemper wanted to pay $3000.00 less than what my medical bills were. Now my insurance company are taking them to arbitration as they do not want to even pay for my totaled car and deductible that my insurance company paid. They have forced me to hire an attorney. This company is what gives insurance companies a bad reputation and makes people sue. The claims adjuster was rude and condescending. This company should be put out of business.

Original review: May 22, 2018

On 05/20 I was rear-ended by a Kemper Auto insured (drunk) driver. I contacted customer service on 5/21, I spoke with a very polite young lady, she took all the pertinent information related to the accident along with my personal information. The rep politely issued me a claim number along with the claims adjuster's name and phone number and extension. She then transferred me to the claims adjuster's team office, I spoke with a Ms. Katrina (unsure of the correct spelling of her last name... She muddled it), this woman was very rude. When I mentioned that I spoke to a very nice lady earlier who told me how things would be handled she said "they don't know what they are talking about".

Katrina talked at me and asked compound questions. She did not like my answers and all she wanted to do was to talk AT me and I listened until she was done. I DON'T understand why people can be so mean. So, when I asked "can I speak now"... Well I went on to talk... This very rude woman hung up on me. This rudeness makes want to just give up and and not move on with the claim. Life is too short to have to deal with this type of treatment. I have never experienced such poor customer service (claims adjuster). I was shocked and hurt by it, there was absolutely no compassion.

I eventually called the adjuster assigned to my case, I left a message with hope that I will get a call back. I actually called again hoping she would answer, but the answering machine picked up with a message "message box is full"... Go figure. It's funny when I finished talking with the polite young lady. I thought these people are really nice and personable, thinking I might switch over from SF, plus recommend this Ins company. The Reps are either overworked or just plain MEAN!!

Original review: May 16, 2018

I love the coverage I have with my insurance company. I purchased online and it was super easy. The coverage is affordable, their customer service is great, and they're easy to contact. I had a question about my policy and the representative I spoke with was incredibly helpful. I would recommend Kemper to anyone who needed an affordable and comprehensive auto policy. But I wish they offered discounts for multiple policies like some other companies offer. I currently rent and would love a renter's policy, and I plan on purchasing a home one day. I'll likely use Kemper.

Kemper - Auto Company Information

Kemper
www.kemper.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.