Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Kemper sells many types of insurance, including auto insurance. InsuraMatch is not working with Kemper yet, buy you can get multiple quotes from 26 verified carriers within minutes by calling InsuraMatch today. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance to 26 states. Most customers who have switched to this company claim to have saved 20% on their insurance premiums. Many customers are also happy with their claims experience. The company carries basic and customized insurance packages and high-risk policies that other companies do not offer.

PROS

• Insurance enhancements to Protect Your Wallet, Protect Your Sanity and Protect Your Family
  • High-risk policies
  • Competitive rates compared to big brands
  • A wide selection of discounts, such as referral, married couple, loyalty and senior discounts
  • Easy online quote process

CONS

• Not all vehicle brands and models covered
  • Limited availability statewide

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Kemper - Auto Reviews

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Five months ago my son's car was totaled by a driver of a car covered by Infinity (Kemper). Despite a police report that clearly states that the Kemper driver was at fault, the claims agent has found every way possible to avoid us. The most frustrating way is that when you call there is only a voicemail available or worse a full voicemail so no message can be left. In 5 months of over 30 calls from us to Kemper, only 5 have been returned. The most recent is stating that the Kemper covered driver's policy won't cover the driver because she couldn't produce a license at the scene of the crash (she was drunk).

Since we started asking to see that policy, there have been no return calls or response. I am sure they are hoping we will go away. Since my son worked hard to buy his first car and we only had it covered with liability insurance, we are not going to go away! It is very hard to see a big company like this make every effort to steal/rob from a 21 year old who is trying to make his way by working hard. I can see why all the reviews are only 1 star. I would give less if I could.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I had recently purchased a vehicle and was renting previous to purchasing this vehicle. Therefore I did not have current private auto insurance. In order to obtain insurance quickly, (it was a Friday evening approximately 7:30), I foolishly accepted a ‘referral’ through another company that steered me to Kemper Insurance, a company that was previously unknown to me. A few weeks after purchasing the vehicle, I changed loan companies and needed to change the name of the lien holder on the insurance policy and phoned Kemper. I was put on hold per their voicemail; I waited 47 minutes for a live representative to come on the line.

My intention was initially to quickly update my info and move on with my day but because of the unbelievably long hold time, lack of apology for the wait by the rep, and general dissatisfaction when I was informed that the wait time was not unusual, by this point I decided to cancel my new policy. My thought was that if this company keeps its clients waiting nearly one hour to speak with them when I only need to update my information, I can’t imagine what sort of hell handling a claim awaits me should I ever need to file one.

The representative said there will be a $50 charge. That is approximately 20% of the cost of my monthly premium. I politely requested the fee waived due to my new policy and the excessive wait time etcetera, but was told there would be no exception. I cancelled my policy due to poor customer service and was charged for that poor service. All I can say is: Buyer Beware! In the meantime, I will make it my mission to let anyone and everyone know that unless there are absolutely no alternative insurance companies available, do not do business with Kemper. I have been driving/insured since 1977 and have never had a worse insurance experience. If “0” stars were an option, well you get the idea... Thanks for reading my review.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

So here is just update to my previous review. I added a star because they paid off my lien holder. The check I received was cut Dec 26 and my title loan paid off completely approx the day after. On the agreed amount of compensation; my ex told me the check difference I received was a lot lower than the agreed upon. So looks like we are still fighting to get this resolved since my car was hit in October and here we are in January.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Updated on 01/16/2020: Update on my last review. My car has been sitting at the auto shop for week now. Auto body been waiting for approval for repairs, so I figured I would call to see what the hold up is. Well to find out my claims rep no longer works for the company and now I need to talk to a the supervisor.

Original Review: My car was hit in July 2019. Very poor, lack of communication. Never return calls or emails. No auto repairs where I live will deal with Kemper. They only estimate my damage at $309 and some change. It took over a month to get a check. I had to call to get the copy of estimate. This place is a nightmare and I'm finally getting my car fixed 6 months later. The worst company ever!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I was hit by an alliance/Kemper driver on 10/29. The claims rep contacted me and I was able to submit pictures. The last time I was able to speak to anyone was nov. 4th. I sent emails and left many unanswered voicemails. I was only contacted after submitting a claim to the insurance department of California. Even after being contacted by the department, they attempted to place the blame on me. Something about the first check being sent to the wrong address and they put a stop on it. I was never contacted to be made aware of this and I received the first check but did not receive the second check they claimed they sent. It’s been over a month and I’m almost going to get my car back. Total nightmare and unneeded stress.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

This is by far one of the WORSE insurances I've had. They are useless, absolutely no help whatsoever. Nov. 4th my car was hit while in my driveway by a careless driver, after weeks of going back and forth with them they stated that the estimated damage to my vehicle was under my deductible and there was nothing they could do for me (they estimated damages at $501).. I then took my car to a few body shops and the LOWEST estimate I got for my damage was $981! I've left multiple messages with them as well as emails and still have not heard anything back... I am in the process of small claims court now. Kemper is a huge headache and a POS scam company. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. Save your self the problems.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I first started almost 1 year ago with Kemper. I highly DO NOT recommend, they are charging me more and more each month, my policy start at 187: then went up to 287: Now it’s 345, I’m done with Kemper and turning them in to BBB.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

On June 22, 2019; I was struck by a Kemper Insurance insured vehicle on the passenger side of my 2017 Chevrolet Cruze causing bodily injury to myself and my minor daughter. The Kemper Insured vehicle a 1999 Honda Civic ran a stop sign and then fled the scene at a high rate of speed committing a hit and run with bodily injury which is a felony crime in Arizona. After a search for the vehicle and responsible party, I filed a claim with Kemper Insurance for the car damage and bodily injury. The claim was initially assigned to I. ** who did nothing with the claim so I had to file with my insurance.

Kemper Insurance has acted in bad faith since the start of this claim. Adjustors and supervisors have refused to take calls, return calls and to deal with my claim in good faith. Kemper Insurance has not done a proper investigation for my claim nor has this company accepted liability for the hit and run stating that the driver had no coverage despite being authorized by the owner to drive.

Kemper Insurance has lied and misrepresented coverages for their policy under the doctrine of permissible use which states if a driver other than the owner has permission to operate the vehicle they are covered under the policy if not expressly excluded from the policy. The driver who committed the hit and run had permission to drive from the owner which is clearly stated in the hit and run police report. Kemper Insurance is in violation of Arizona insurance laws and regulations by not covering this hit and run and has passed the buck to my insurance company to pay for their driver's actions.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

Kemper Auto Infinity (Auto Insurance). WARNING ⚠️DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! 10/18/2019 My husband added my vehicle to his existing policy. 11/07/19 I was leaving Old Saint Augustine Plaza and stationery at the Yield to oncoming traffic on Old Saint Augustine Road. A driver rear ended my vehicle. She apologized. We took photos and exchanged details (date stamp evidence of this exchange) and I submitted a claim to Kemper on 11/08/19 claim number **.

11/19/19 I called to follow up on the clip and was advised that an attempt to reach me had been made and that they were unable to proceed as they had more questions. RED FLAG???? # 1 an efficient claims processor will ensure they gather *all* relevant information related to the claim during the initiation of the said claim. I was then asked, when and where and from who did I purchase the vehicle. I was also asked, about my insurance history prior to Kemper. After providing most of the information and the previous insurer prior to Kemper, I was pressed for more detail. This information was not requested when I signed up (therefore also not relevant). It is also not relevant to the incident or claim. I am utterly appalled at the level of obstruction and abuse of power by this insurance company. The experience is very disappointing - I urge any prospective consumer to consider this before taking the plunge and partnering with this company.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Agreeing with everyone here. It’s a complete nightmare. I waited almost a month for anyone to contact me and my adjuster, my ex, my bf and myself trying to get hold of Kemper. I knew who the adjusters name was for a while and then they claim he only just got assigned to it. We contacted the call center. Absolutely no number for the adjuster and only an email from the supervisor/manager. Almost a week later we got the supervisors number. They brought an appraiser out to assess the damage. My car is a total loss. Mind you I work 7 days a week and only have one car in which I put nearly $6000 to fix it up.

I had the car for only one year (yes I bought a car from someone else who lied to me about what needs to be done to it. I’m a girl. zzz). Anywho, so I’m with a title loan that helped pay for the fixing and I have to deal with probably the lowest rating insurance company. No one told me to take it to a body shop to check the damage cost. No one is giving me a rental car. No one clearly just gives no .... about it. Now my ex is trying to get to the bottom of this and now they changed the adjuster just this morning told by the supervisor. I honestly don’t even care anymore. It’s not worth the struggle nor headaches. Depression hit because I am in that car 24/7. I got a text message stating that my car is a total loss and take my things out of it and surrender it. Okayyy, but where? What about the DMV? What about my insurance holder? I can’t get a hold of anyone to know. What am I suppose to do next with no car that was never my fault to begin with????

Not sure about Kemper - Auto?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Kemper - Auto Company Information