Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto

3.8/5 (379 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Kemper - Auto

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance, nonstandard policies and various discounts in 26 states. It carries basic and customized coverage packages and policies for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. The company provides pet protection and accident forgiveness options, but its specialty coverage is available only in California.

Pros

• Variety of discounts
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Nonstandard insurance options

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Specialty coverage only in Calif.

Bottom Line

Kemper specializes in competitive auto policy rates and offers several discounts, such as retro loyalty, safe driving and multipolicy reductions. It provides nonstandard coverage options in California.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

Kemper - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

This is a horrible company!! Their client hit us and is totally at fault. All they wanted to pay was $253, and didn’t send out an adjuster, that was by looking at their photo claims app. The damage was far more extensive than that. We have had nothing but a runaround from them. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY!! They’re con artists, even their clients cannot get them to help them. We will most likely have to retain an attorney and go to court to receive any kind of payment for the actual damages.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

Got in a major accident with a Kemper-insured motorist. Driver took left turn in front of me where I was traveling 60+ MPH. My 2021 van which I owned was totaled, windows smashed, frame bent, van flipped over upside down, destroyed. My life was ruined. Could not get a van like it for under $50k, BUT I OWNED IT not the banks. These vipers at Kemper play games and runarounds and why they are still in business legally is beyond me. Accident was 1/19/22 and I am still waiting on them. They do NOT return calls. They do NOT answer calls. The rats working there should be jailed.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Claim of a stolen vehicle and having to constantly email and call with no response! Finally settled and our claim adjuster, Malcom, issued the payment to an incorrect name. Never answers his phone! I will shop elsewhere for insurance!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

My car was hit by someone insured by this company. It was on a Friday and our car was not safe to operate on the road since the bumper was hanging from the car and the rear wheel and tire were damaged. The adjuster, Yarithza M, called me randomly and left a message. I was in a meeting so I called back 15 minutes later and left a voicemail. Nothing. I called back three more times that day. Nothing.

I called the number she left on her voicemail for her supervisor, Holly M. The number that she provided was disconnected. I called back to the customer service rep and asked for Holly M's number. Of course, the voicemail came on and I left a message. I have since called either Yarithza, Holly or the customer service group over 10 times! Customer service transferred me to Holly's voicemail twice. They escalated to Yarithza and Holly twice. There's no one else that can help, and apparently they don't know who's Holly's manager. It's a dead end. I'm going on 5 days without a car all because someone insured by them hit me while I was stopped at a red light.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

This insurance company has to be the absolute worst. I hate and wish no one has to go through them for claims because is just awful. One of their drivers scratched up my rear bumper and destroyed my rear diffuser on 12/18/21. We swapped info and everything and she called her insurance (Kemper) and they told her they’d call me the next day which guess what? That didn’t happen.

I waited and waited but still no call back, my insurance on the other hand was awesome enough (Allstate) and called me back immediately but I wanted to go through Kemper because I'm not trying to go through mine because it was her fault. Anyways after a while I had to wait longer bc her adjuster’s (Douglas **) office was closed due to the holidays and wouldn’t be back til December 28. So still another day passes by and nothing, I finally call on 12/30 which of course they don’t pick and finally he calls me back saying it’s his first time even seeing the claim then setup an inspection.

After all that he said they’d review it and he’d call me back in 3-5 businesses days (not counting New Year’s Day) and still to this day nothing (1/10). Every time I call it goes straight to voicemail and says their office is closed due to the holidays and that they won’t be open til the 28th but what pisses me off is that it’s JANUARY 10, it’s not even the holidays anymore! Does make any sense, this place is awful, and on top of that I got an estimate through the mail that says it’s only worth 385 to repair my car but when I got my estimates from the repair shop they said it’s gonna cost 943.

What kind of ** is this. Man y’all are wack, I hate driving around in my messed up car because I like having my car looking clean and not all trashy. Kemper is %100 trash, forget about them and if you’re insured by them just drop em because they don’t care about you or anyone else and will just take your money. The minute you talk to them they’re all nice then when the time comes you need them they’ll ghost you. I’m happy I have Allstate and pay a little more than usual rather than having this sorry of a business. At this point I’m going through my own insurance because at least they’re more prompt and actually reply back to me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Two months ago I was rear-ended by someone with Kemper auto insurance. Kemper admitted fault immediately, yet I don't have my vehicle back. It's been repaired for days. It's clear to me that Kemper is trying to hold back on paying the collision company in hopes that I will just pay them so Kemper does not have to pay. THIS IS FRAUD. KEMPER AUTO INSURANCE IS THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

They deserve NO STARS!!! I do not use them personally but was rear ended at a high speed and the driver left the scene. I got the plate number. They ended up having Kemper insurance. I was treated terrible. They treated me like I caused the accident. They never answered the phone. Took several days for email reply for never got one. They would help with a rental and didn't care that their driver did a hit and run. Bunch of Bozos. Do not use them and I should have gone thru my own insurance. Lesson learned. Trust me.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

AVOID THIS COMPANY. Left messages pretty much every day to the adjuster assigned to my claim. She never returned any of my calls. The other party involved in the accident has the same insurance company. Kemper/Infinity. The only info I got is that they are denying the accident. I have prove of the accident, the photos I sent are not showing on my file. They make me take my car to a guy that works for Infinity for a quote. The quote is for less than 800 to fix my car which is a Joke so. This make me wonder if they really don't want to spend in fixing my car because their customer hit another of their customer and they will no get any refund. This sounds to me like BIG SCAM COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I was recently rear ended by a Kemper insured driver. I filed claims with both my insurance and Kemper. Kemper wouldn't give me a reference number or claim number but stated that an adjuster would get back to me within 48 hours. After waiting the 48 hours, I called them to follow up, found my adjuster and left a message. Two days later, they finally called me back. I then had to call them every day to hear from them and actually make progress on my claim.

They sent me to an app to take photos of my car for the estimate and apparently sent a check, while telling me that I would be responsible for part of the repair because my car was a few years old and they would only be paying for a portion of it... calculating a "betterment." When I called for a week straight to tell them that my car is feeling unsafe to drive and I needed to know what the next steps were, it took me needing to call a supervisor to get my adjuster to call me back. This then approved them to put me into a rental car, but I get to pay for it first and be reimbursed after the work on my car is completed.

In the meantime, my insurance agent cannot get them on the phone to verify they are taking responsibility for the repair. When I showed up at the garage, the mechanics stated "Kemper is a nightmare to work with" as they don't return the garage phone calls either. It feels like this company doesn't want to work to get the repairs done in a timely fashion. When I mentioned not returning my calls to the adjuster, he told me "Not everyone wants to get their car fixed as quickly as you do." and the check that three different people needed to talk to me about every time I tried to get ahold of my adjuster... yeah, that didn't arrive.

The adjuster sent the estimate paperwork on 10/18 indicating the check was enclosed but it wasn't. When I tried to reach out, he didn't answer calls or return my emails. I decided to have my insurance company take them on as my company has been super responsive and helpful so far and in less than 8 hours has already rerouted my rental car reservation to a direct bill (not me paying it out of pocket,) and sent the documents to the garage to start the repair. Kemper... you are fired from my claim, I'll let the pros handle it and take it up with you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Kemper Auto Car Insurance, 8360 LBJ Freeway Suite 400, Dallas, TX 75222. Gave me a quote for liability car insurance and charge my credit card double what was quoted. When I tried to cancel the insurance, they charged my account. I tried to talk to customer service which gave me the run around and hung the phone up. Worst customer service and steal your money. Run from this company.

Original review: June 18, 2021

They are bad in customer service, they are bad adjusting claims, they are paying to shops. Ohhh but they are good to charge you for an expensive and totally bad service. They do not attend the required supplement payments by shops, they made cheap estimates and the closing your case without previous notification.

Original review: May 27, 2021

Worst auto insurance company. I cancelled the services due to the poor services after I paid the last bill, but they charged me an additional $ 130.71 (last bill which I already paid it before+ $ 50 cancellation fees!!!?). I asked them for an explanation, I received threat of collection agency instead.

Original review: April 23, 2021

On 20 February this year I called Kemper to advise them that I will not be renewing my policy with them which my new policy renewal is due in April. They said that's fine. They said they said I should stop the auto renewal on my account which I did, now even though I called them 30 days in advance they still want to bill me $111 for the month of April. They are now threatening me to put me in collections. I now I have to retain an attorney and contact the Better Business Bureau, poor customer service skills. Stay away from them.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I was rear-ended by a driver with Kemper auto insurance 5 months ago. The driver pulled over after the accident and I took pictures of our cars, the other driver's license, registration, and insurance information. There was absolutely no doubt that the other driver was at fault, as he rear-ended me while I was stopped. Just received a letter from Kemper that states "We determined there is no coverage under our insured's policy for this loss. As a result, we will be unable to provide payment for any damages from this accident and closed our files." If they won't pay for a run-of-the-mill fender bender, what kind of coverage are they offering their customers exactly? I'll be fighting this through my insurance company. Getting back my $500 is now a matter of principle.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

On 12/31/2020 my parked truck was hit by a drunk driver at 3AM doing 40-50 around the corner on wet roads landing her right in the front corner of my truck pushing it 5-6 ft to the side of where it was originally parked. Kemper/Infinity had me download their app to submit pictures of the damage for the repair estimate because they couldn't send anyone out due to COVID. Their repair estimate came back at just over $2,000.00 and my adjuster said we can make the payment today for repairs! (Never accept the initial offer!)

I decided to get my truck towed to the dealership for a supplemental estimate, which came back at $10,000.00 more and my frame was bent, bringing the damage to my truck to $12,600.28. That was on 1/6/2021 and where my claim stopped moving forward completely. I reached out numerous times to my adjuster Cinthia who doesn't like to return phone calls apparently. On 1/22/2021 after calling multiple times and never hearing anything back, they sent my claim to a 3rd party appraisal company for a 3rd supplemental estimate. I called the 3rd party appraisal company directly on 1/26/2020 since I can never get anything from Kemper/Infinity, and they let me know they were still waiting on an "additional mileage fee" that needed to be approved.

I did some digging and found my adjusters manager, Coleen's, info and emailed her on 2/3/2021 asking why the fee had not been approved yet and what is taking so long on my claim. (After all, they called the 3rd party company and then didn't want to approve the fee, what a joke!) Within minutes she had emailed the 3rd party appraisal company for the approval, and at my request, a RUSH request for this appointment.

It is now 2/9/2020 and I have been without a vehicle for over a month, no 3rd estimate or inspection of my vehicle, and still no settlement on my claim. I filed a complaint with the California Department of Insurance yesterday 2/8/2021, as California law states that a settlement must be reached 40 days after the claim is acknowledged. As of right now, they will not make the state law deadline for timely handling of claims. and what's even worse is after they make their decision, they will have another 30 days to pay the claim, which I am sure they will drag out till the last day if it keeps going the way it is. Kemper Infinity needs to have their license revoked! AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

My parked car was hit by a Kemper/Infinity insured driver on 11/30/2020. It is now 12/18/2020, and I have had no movement on this claim. This is the most unprofessional organization I have ever dealt with. How are they still licensed to do business? Please explain. The claims rep for my incident, Gabriel **, is non-responsive, and his manager, Anthony **, is just as impotent. Supposedly, they mailed a check, but hence, where is this Ghost Check? I have not received it. The Better Business Bureau needs to step in. I need my vehicle fixed, but at this point, it isn't looking good. They don't even offer to pay for a rental car until after-the-fact, so who knows if you'll ever get reimbursed by these morons. I'm guessing you don't need a GED to work for this company. I don't understand how this company can be allowed to STEAL/CHEAT all of these individuals. Look at all of these reviews!!!! Doesn't this tell you something. My God!!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I recently had the misfortune of colliding with a car that entered the road from a parking lot without stopping. Kemper contacted me immediately after receiving the accident report, supplying the contact information of the collision- and medical adjuster. Both adjusters were extremely helpful and caring in their support!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Hello. On Wednesday, October 21st a young woman backed into my home. She damaged the structure of the side of my home and dented the garage door. My home is only four years old. I cannot open my garage door therefore rendering it unusable and my car has to be parked on the street. I contacted Infinity/Kemper Insurance on the same day. It took two days for someone to respond to my claim. Once someone returned my call it took another week for me to connect to a claim presentative (I had to seek them out on my own no help from the company). Once I connected with him and received a claim number I was informed that someone (an adjustor) would be contacting me to set up an appointment to come look at the damage their insured driver did to my home.

In the meantime I sent pictures of the damage. It has been two weeks and no adjustor has called or come out to my home. It's been three weeks since the accident. Has anyone had any issues with this company's lack or response and horrible customer service? I need my home to be repaired as the weather will be taking a turn for the worse in the upcoming winter months. Also, I would like to have access my garage. Is it normal for a company to take this long to respond?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I was hit by a driver that is covered by Kemper Auto. They are refusing to cover all of the damages caused by the wreck. They have dragged this out for months. It took almost a full month to hear any information from the appraiser regarding a supplemental that was sent in by my auto body shop. The only reason we received any answer was because I personally contacted the appraiser's boss because the appraiser himself couldn't be bothered to do his job. Don't expect your car to be fully repaired if anything does happen to you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

DO NOT USE THIS INSURANCE COMPANY!!!! I plan to report them to the Better Business Bureau!!!! This is the most unprofessional, sneaky, incompetent companyI have ever dealt with!!!! I am having so much trouble with them that I may have to call an accident lawyer. They may be inexpensive but the minute you actually have an accident you can forget getting any assistance.

Just to start, I had an accident on a Friday and reported it to claims department. I was told I would receive a call by Tuesday of the next week. As of Friday I still had not heard from them and I tried to call numerous times but could not get any help from anyone not to mention the recorded message that just kept repeating over and over again.

They didn't come out for an estimate of my vehicle, After my Auto mechanic finally was able to speak with someone they gave him an incorrect email to send the pictures of the damage. They don't cover the rental until after the repairs have been done. They do this because they don't have any sense of urgency in getting the repairs taken care of. Meanwhile it has been almost two and a half weeks and I have still not been able to get in contact with MY CLAIMS ADJUSTER!!!! I can't even begin to tell you what crooks they are!!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! They also go by the name of Alliance and also Infinity.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

My father was severely injured by a driver covered by Kemper Auto. Kemper Auto denied the claim stating that their driver was not covered for the bodily injury claim, even if the driver was completely at fault and minimum coverage in California requires that the driver have 15k/30k for bodily injury. If Kemper cannot cover bodily injury, what do they cover? Kemper is operating under false pretense under California Insurance laws.

Original review: March 18, 2020

On 7/27/19, I was impacted from the back and I hit the front car, my car got totaled, I was in pain and still having issues regarding the injury but I decided to treat myself at home after my therapies at Kaiser canceled my second appointment and wasted my time waiting for him. The accident wasn't my fault, I lost the new car I just bought. My insurance Mercury paid the bank and cashed it and I ended owing 5k to the bank for that car because Mercury didn't cover all. Anyway, the Insurance of the person rear-ended me (Alliance/Kemper) is giving me bs to pay my bodily injuries and lost wages claim for missing work. I am a contractor so I don't get paid if I don't work. I provided the medical records and my client's notes, explaining I was absent from work because of the accident and profit and loss statement. However, Alliance/Kemper is saying that the information is not specific enough and denying part of the claim.

I do agree that the doctor's note and records are very vague, but it is all I have. Regardless, I see now that this is the way Alliance/ Kemper does business. I have been talking to Kaiser about the medical records so I got directed to third-party liability insurance called Equian that supposedly takes care of all this. However, I just checked and Equian has terrible reviews just like Alliance/Kemper. So I have no expectations. I do not believe I should have to hire an attorney for 17 days of lost wages. My adjuster for Alliance/Kemper is Diana ** and her Supervisor is Nicolas **. Both very unprofessional and misleading. I will update to let you know the results.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

One of Kemper's insured rear ended my car on 2/17/2020, causing about $1500 in damages. Their driver received a citation. Numerous calls and messages to Kemper go unanswered as of 2/25/2020. I can't imagine anyone buying insurance from them. I will probably have to take their driver to small claims court to get reimbursed.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I just switched to Kemper from Mercury & already regret it. My auto insurance policy was to have taken effect 2/1/2020. By this date, I had paid the entire annual premium & received my insurance cards. All is well and good, right? Wrong. Kemper sent me an email on 2/18/2020 stating, "We need you to sign this page of your policy". Why wait until after you've collected the ENTIRE premium & mailed out a policy card to ask for me to sign the rest? For that policy to be effective, it must first be signed by the subscriber, i.e. me.

Here I thought I was covered when in effect, had I been stopped by a law enforcement agency for an infraction from 2/1/2020 to 2/18/2020 (I signed the final page today, i.e. 2/19/2020), either my car would have been impounded or I would have been cited as the final signature had not been collected. All this could have been avoided had Kemper simply advised me, "We cannot send your official insurance card or accept payment on this policy until you e-sign this page". That being said, they do not like doing any work. Any request is met with either a "Go through your agency/broker" or your call being disconnected (odds are they do it on purpose).

I feel Kemper misled me into thinking my policy was finalized, yet not all signatures were collected so therefore the contract (i.e. policy) was therefore unenforceable. I'll without question change carriers once my current policy ends in February/2021. I've had at least four auto insurance carriers (Kemper included) and Kemper is the ONLY one that placed me in a position of essentially driving around uninsured for nearly a month. Avoid Kemper at all costs.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Five months ago my son's car was totaled by a driver of a car covered by Infinity (Kemper). Despite a police report that clearly states that the Kemper driver was at fault, the claims agent has found every way possible to avoid us. The most frustrating way is that when you call there is only a voicemail available or worse a full voicemail so no message can be left. In 5 months of over 30 calls from us to Kemper, only 5 have been returned. The most recent is stating that the Kemper covered driver's policy won't cover the driver because she couldn't produce a license at the scene of the crash (she was drunk).

Since we started asking to see that policy, there have been no return calls or response. I am sure they are hoping we will go away. Since my son worked hard to buy his first car and we only had it covered with liability insurance, we are not going to go away! It is very hard to see a big company like this make every effort to steal/rob from a 21 year old who is trying to make his way by working hard. I can see why all the reviews are only 1 star. I would give less if I could.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I had recently purchased a vehicle and was renting previous to purchasing this vehicle. Therefore I did not have current private auto insurance. In order to obtain insurance quickly, (it was a Friday evening approximately 7:30), I foolishly accepted a ‘referral’ through another company that steered me to Kemper Insurance, a company that was previously unknown to me. A few weeks after purchasing the vehicle, I changed loan companies and needed to change the name of the lien holder on the insurance policy and phoned Kemper. I was put on hold per their voicemail; I waited 47 minutes for a live representative to come on the line.

My intention was initially to quickly update my info and move on with my day but because of the unbelievably long hold time, lack of apology for the wait by the rep, and general dissatisfaction when I was informed that the wait time was not unusual, by this point I decided to cancel my new policy. My thought was that if this company keeps its clients waiting nearly one hour to speak with them when I only need to update my information, I can’t imagine what sort of hell handling a claim awaits me should I ever need to file one.

The representative said there will be a $50 charge. That is approximately 20% of the cost of my monthly premium. I politely requested the fee waived due to my new policy and the excessive wait time etcetera, but was told there would be no exception. I cancelled my policy due to poor customer service and was charged for that poor service. All I can say is: Buyer Beware! In the meantime, I will make it my mission to let anyone and everyone know that unless there are absolutely no alternative insurance companies available, do not do business with Kemper. I have been driving/insured since 1977 and have never had a worse insurance experience. If “0” stars were an option, well you get the idea... Thanks for reading my review.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

So here is just update to my previous review. I added a star because they paid off my lien holder. The check I received was cut Dec 26 and my title loan paid off completely approx the day after. On the agreed amount of compensation; my ex told me the check difference I received was a lot lower than the agreed upon. So looks like we are still fighting to get this resolved since my car was hit in October and here we are in January.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Updated on 01/16/2020: Update on my last review. My car has been sitting at the auto shop for week now. Auto body been waiting for approval for repairs, so I figured I would call to see what the hold up is. Well to find out my claims rep no longer works for the company and now I need to talk to a the supervisor.

Original Review: My car was hit in July 2019. Very poor, lack of communication. Never return calls or emails. No auto repairs where I live will deal with Kemper. They only estimate my damage at $309 and some change. It took over a month to get a check. I had to call to get the copy of estimate. This place is a nightmare and I'm finally getting my car fixed 6 months later. The worst company ever!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I was hit by an alliance/Kemper driver on 10/29. The claims rep contacted me and I was able to submit pictures. The last time I was able to speak to anyone was nov. 4th. I sent emails and left many unanswered voicemails. I was only contacted after submitting a claim to the insurance department of California. Even after being contacted by the department, they attempted to place the blame on me. Something about the first check being sent to the wrong address and they put a stop on it. I was never contacted to be made aware of this and I received the first check but did not receive the second check they claimed they sent. It’s been over a month and I’m almost going to get my car back. Total nightmare and unneeded stress.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

This is by far one of the WORSE insurances I've had. They are useless, absolutely no help whatsoever. Nov. 4th my car was hit while in my driveway by a careless driver, after weeks of going back and forth with them they stated that the estimated damage to my vehicle was under my deductible and there was nothing they could do for me (they estimated damages at $501).. I then took my car to a few body shops and the LOWEST estimate I got for my damage was $981! I've left multiple messages with them as well as emails and still have not heard anything back... I am in the process of small claims court now. Kemper is a huge headache and a POS scam company. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. Save your self the problems.

Kemper - Auto Company Information