Kemper - Auto

Kemper - Auto

3.7/5 (197 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Kemper - Auto

Kemper offers low-cost car insurance, nonstandard policies and various discounts in 26 states. It carries basic and customized coverage packages and policies for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding insurance elsewhere. The company provides pet protection and accident forgiveness options, but its specialty coverage is available only in California.

Pros

• Variety of discounts
  • Flexible payment plans
  • Nonstandard insurance options

Cons

• Not available in all states
  • Specialty coverage only in Calif.

Bottom Line

Kemper specializes in competitive auto policy rates and offers several discounts, such as retro loyalty, safe driving and multipolicy reductions. It provides nonstandard coverage options in California.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Kemper - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kemper?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Agreeing with everyone here. It’s a complete nightmare. I waited almost a month for anyone to contact me and my adjuster, my ex, my bf and myself trying to get hold of Kemper. I knew who the adjusters name was for a while and then they claim he only just got assigned to it. We contacted the call center. Absolutely no number for the adjuster and only an email from the supervisor/manager. Almost a week later we got the supervisors number. They brought an appraiser out to assess the damage. My car is a total loss. Mind you I work 7 days a week and only have one car in which I put nearly $6000 to fix it up.

I had the car for only one year (yes I bought a car from someone else who lied to me about what needs to be done to it. I’m a girl. zzz). Anywho, so I’m with a title loan that helped pay for the fixing and I have to deal with probably the lowest rating insurance company. No one told me to take it to a body shop to check the damage cost. No one is giving me a rental car. No one clearly just gives no .... about it. Now my ex is trying to get to the bottom of this and now they changed the adjuster just this morning told by the supervisor. I honestly don’t even care anymore. It’s not worth the struggle nor headaches. Depression hit because I am in that car 24/7. I got a text message stating that my car is a total loss and take my things out of it and surrender it. Okayyy, but where? What about the DMV? What about my insurance holder? I can’t get a hold of anyone to know. What am I suppose to do next with no car that was never my fault to begin with????

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My parked car was hit by a Kemper Auto customer over a month ago and I am still waiting for this claim to be resolved!!!! They totaled out my car, and provided me with the total loss payment amount, then nothing.... They never sent the check to my finance company to pay off the car!!!! Because it's been over a month. My car payment is due again and I have to pay for a car I no longer have because they dont want to issue the payment.

I have called both the adjuster Rick ** and the supervisor Greg ** to no avail! No one is calling me back. My finance company has also been calling both Rick and Greg and to date has not received a call back. This is absolutely unprofessional and unethical. This company needs to be fined and shut down! I am amazed at all the negative reviews this company has received (all basically the same complaints) and nothing is being done! All of these reviews are 1000% accurate! Do not use this company and good luck if you're a "Victim" of theirs. They deserve 0 stars but I had to give them 1 to add my review.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I was rear ended by an individual carrying Kemper insurance. They took my claim and have yet to call me back. I've left several messages for the adjuster and supervisor. I have involved my insurance company which has assigned a liability adjuster to get through Kemper. Very unethical business practice!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

Worst WORST insurance company ever! Agent that's taking care of your claim never ever gets back to you, even after leaving several emails and voice messages. I had to call several times until I finally got somebody to tell me the information of the driver who hit my car. So I had to call Farmers Insurance myself in order to see how to proceed with fixing my car. When I was speaking to the agent representing Farmers Insurance I had asked him why haven't they reached out to me? As it turns out he had called the agent at Kemper several times and never did they call back! So, he was never able to get my phone number to process the claim. Honesty please go anywhere else! Even if you have to pay a little extra it's way worth it because Kemper has the worst customer service, the worst sense of business morale and work ethic! I wish I could give them zero because they don't deserve any more than that...

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

Same as the others... One of Kemper's customers lost control of a moving truck that collided with other vehicles and resulted in significant damage to our property. In the last 12 weeks we have been told several times that they would have a response for us in the next 2 business days or by the end of the week, and not once did anyone get back to us with a response. They have switched claims reps and adjusters, each of whom claims they don't know anything about the previous person assigned to the claim or what happened before they received the file.

3 months of myself, our own insurance rep, and the management company for the building all reaching out to Kemper to resolve the claim, and we are still nowhere. After reviewing dozens of similar complaints online and on the BBB website, it is clear that Kemper has a pattern of acting in bad faith to delay/avoid settling claims at all costs. Unfortunately at this point, we have to pursue other avenues to resolve the matter. If you are considering using Kemper for any insurance needs, PLEASE RECONSIDER. Pay a little extra to have an insurance company that will actually do what you are paying them for.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I cannot express how stunned and frustrated I am at how slow, incompetent, uncommunicative and unethical I find this company to be. I've been a customer for close to ten years. I submitted my first ever claim (we hit a dear that ran into the road) almost six weeks ago. Six weeks I've been waiting for my claim to be finalized and resolved. Every step with Kemper has been elongated and drawn out. They made errors filing the initial claim so it was rejected. They sent someone out to estimate it who was not an expert, and made an incredible amount of errors (didn't include funds for replacement parts that she marked as damaged, sourced used replacement parts that were damaged and unusable, submitted funds for the wrong kind of paint, the list goes on).

Since then we've had to submit supplemental claim after supplemental claim to try and recover the cost. Each claim has been reduced below what it cost to fix the car. Our car has been finished by the auto body shop for a week now, and neither myself or the auto body shop can get Kemper to finalize or approve the needed supplemental claim. To reiterate, we have been without our car for six weeks and still have no answers. Please, please, please, please if you are reading this and deciding upon an insurance company, do not go with Kemper.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My boyfriend got hit by a person who has Kemper as their insurance company. So they had him download an app to take pictures. Then had his car towed to the Benz Shop just for them to give him the run around for 4 months so they didnt have to pay for fix his car. They only paying to get paint job done. I wouldnt recommend anyone to them if they was the only insurance company left on this planet.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

Dealing with customer service to change the name on my account has been a nightmare. It's extremely disorganized. I'm unable to log into my account for no apparent reason and am forced to use the "EZ PAY" feature which means I don't get to view any of my account specifics. I was referred to Kemper when I purchased my car but will NOT be using them after this initial six month period ends. Save yourself the trouble.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Have had insurance with them for three years. Rates are attractive but if you ever have a claim good luck. They never return your calls and leave you hanging. I am still waiting for my claim to be settled.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

This company has been nothing but a headache from the very beginning. I was involved in a vehicle accident in which the at fault driver is a Kemper client. I made my very 1st call to Kemper 9/13/19. It is now 10/18/19. So here I am 35 days later and still have not reached a conclusion with this company. I was assigned to an adjuster (Mashawna **) rather quickly, however once I was place with her I was unable to reach her. I would leave mssg after mssg just to not get a return call.

After 2 1/2 weeks of the message game and having to call customer service just to get answers, I was told that they had incorrect notes and my claim was in the segregation dept. On October 2nd I was told that my claim process would start from that day. It took me contacting supervisors, and plain old customer service just to get any type of answer regarding my "claim" just to get passed back to Mashawna (who does not answer calls). I was given 3 to 4 different names of people to contact and NOTHING was accomplished.

I am now dealing with Brittany **, who is a total loss adjuster, and have played nothing but the message game with her as well. I leave message after message and never receive a call back. Same with her supervisor, Jordan **. Nobody at this company seems to know how to use a phone. This is a VERY summarized description of my experience with this company.... DO NOT USE THEM!!!! And I pray for every American that they are never in an accident with someone who is covered by this company.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

Don’t waste your time with Kemper worse insurance!!!! I had my car stolen In Aug 3, 2019. CHP found my car that same day it was stolen. The car was totaled and got the suspect on the spot. It’s now Oct 17, 2019 Donald ** is my adjuster and has been giving me the round about. Every time I call him, he never answers. I leave him voicemails and never return my calls!! I’ve tried to talked to his supervisor and he has never called me back as well!! Avoid this company and their headaches. All they do is collect their monthly payment and when you actually need them, they give you the round about!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

On 9/17/19 I got a flat tire on the side of the highway around 9p.m. I was unable to get the lug nuts off to change the tire myself. So, I called roadside and was assured they would send a tow truck right away as well as the police to block off the lane as it was on a bend and we weren't visible until you were right up on us. After 3 hours of Kemper telling us police and tow truck were on the way, I demanded to speak to a supervisor.

I spoke to supervisor Moses and was told "I guess nobody feels like changing a tire" and that roadside would not be coming. We had no other choice but to leave the car on the side of the highway, get a hotel and wait until morning to see if someone felt like changing a tire then. The next morning we called roadside again, were hung up on 2 different times and it took over an hour before they dispatched a tow truck driver. I have tried to get in touch with customer service since then and no one will call me back. I spoke to my insurance broker, Mike ** staff to have them follow-up with customer service as I had devoted enough time to this matter without results and, after multiple phone calls as well as an email, no one from his office will return my calls/email. I am still in shock that Kemper’s roadside gets to pick and choose when they help their customers who are stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of the night.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

These people are bad. I've been with them, for 10 months. Got hit. Geico declared 100% liability. Kemper is squeezing out payments in dribs and drabs. It's not worth the savings for the headaches. They suck eggs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I carried Kemper for just over a year, full coverage on my vehicle. When I had to submit a claim after a car collided into my car (other vehicle was at fault) I ran into trouble. That was when I found out my policy did not cover towing even though I always carry towing coverage, but it took me an hour and a half on the phone to find out I was not covered. 45 minutes to submit my claim then I find out the person I submitted my flareon to wasn't even qualified to tell me my coverage because "a licensed agent" was not available at 7pm. He transferred me to the department that sets up towing (even though I asked right away for a tow truck) after taking my claim for 45 minutes. They were unable to dispatch a tow truck because my agent did not put a towing rider on my policy. The towing department took another 30 minutes to figure out I was not covered.

I received an email of my claim representative's contact information and called the next day and followed up by sending an email. Over the next 2 1/2 weeks I continued to attempt to contact the claim agent without success. I had already received a quote from the body shop estimating repairs that likely exceeded the value of my car. I assured the wie got to my assigned claims agent who was not calling me back.

When I finally reached my claims agent, she informed me my claim was with a different agent who was to do a validation on my vehicle, arrange for my car to be picked up from the body shop as my car's damage exceeded its value. A month and 1 1/2 weeks went by before a value was made on my car and documentation was sent to my lender to settle my loan, they sent me a check for $37. And here I am still without a car but at least I was able to buy another car. The other insurance company accepted responsibility for the accident, so I was still out my $500 deductible.

Fast forward to 2 months and 3 weeks after my accident, after Kemper had switched me 3 times for claims agents, no deductible being paid out to me... I finally contact a supervisor who says, "Well we received some money from the other insurance company but your claim is still in the subrogation department," and gives me another agent to call. When I speak to her, she informs me no money was received by kemper so she needs to follow up with the other company to see why 6 weeks has gone by since kemper sent the demand for payment. She asked for "a couple days" to get a reply.

4 days later I call her back (after I had just gotten off the phone with the other insurance company) to get my update. She said she hasn't gotten a reply and would need to email them again. I told her I just talked to them, where they informed me (today September 20th) they had sent payment to Kemper on August 5th. My accident was June 24! As of September 20th, the subrogation agent said she is having a check issued to me for my deductible.

I have never received such poor service following an accident, lack of return calls or emails, and general disconcern from an insurance company regarding an accident claim. I will never do business with this company again! All they care about is their own financial bottom line. There is no reason god enough where a policyholder should have to fight so hard to work their way through a claim after a car accident! I am fortunate that the only loss involved was the vehicle and not my health. Avoid this company at all costs if you value service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I had a auto policy with them. I send a check paid in full for six months on auto, then next day I receive a bill for the auto. On the bill it say, “If we send you a bill there is a $8.00 dollar fee.” (Never asked them to send one.) So I contacted my Insurance guy and told him to cancel this policy after the six months, so six months later I get a new bill for the next six months. I did not pay it (because I canceled it). (If you don't pay they just cancel your policy, RIGHT?) So next month I get a bill for $41.23 so I called them. The guy tells me there is a $20.00 dollar late fee for not paying. I told him I canceled it, then when I paid the last bill they took the $8.00 dollars out for their fee, and claim that payment was short, then added a $13.23 fee for being short. So now I received a bill from the collection agent.

So I called them and told them what happen (these people are bought and paid for by KEMPER. CROOKS. He tells me they will take the $8.00 fee off leaving me with $33.23. Now if I don't pay it it will go on my credit lowering my credit score, meaning that when you buy insurance they look at your credit score, what a great way to squeeze more money out of you, this is CORRUPT! I will never buy insurance from these crooks!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

My car was hit on the driver side damaging & caving in the door, bending the piece underneath, & scratching the back door. Once I was finally able to get in touch with the claims department, the headache began. I was assigned to Sharon **. Every time I called to speak to Sharon I had to leave a message. Maybe she would call me back same day. After a couple days I was told to download an app on my phone & submit pictures. After another few days I finally received a check in the mail for half of the estimated amount. The body shop had my car for a week before an estimator came out. The body shop was given the go-ahead to do what was needed. My car was completely repaired by the following Friday. It took Sharon 2 weeks to get the check to the body shop!! My car was being held hostage by Kemper! Unacceptable!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I love this company. They are way cheaper than most and they have great customer service. I just had a deer hit my car and they were great. I took it to my friend who is in the collision business and they took care of everything. Best company by far. They were so helpful and wanted to make sure I was okay. I got a great rental while I'm waiting. It's nice to have a company that cares.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I had full coverage on my Corvette from Kemper, which was supposed to protect my car with its rather large monetary investment. Full coverage means it is fully protected, at least that's what Kemper promised. However, after a relatively minor slide off the road, they used every excuse possible to avoid paying for my damage, which was; one rear wheel, one rear tire, one rear hub and a few areas of scratches from flying debris. First, they tried to say the wheel wasn't damaged (it had a chunk missing); then "the tire was ok," they said; then the scratches looked like, "normal wear and tear." I finally gave up and paid for the repairs myself.

Eventually, after three months, they paid for everything (a "reconditioned" wheel) except the scratches. Sorry excuse for a company, worse than Geico, and I used to think it wasn't possible to be worse than them. I cancelled my policy with Kemper (all three vehicles) and went to a company with a much better rating. If all you need is an insurance policy that satisfies the DMV, Kemper will work. But if you anticipate ever actually filing a claim, go elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I was rear-ended by a Kemper insured driver. I contacted the company, got a claim number and waited for an adjuster to contact me. Never got a call or e-mail, whatsoever. It's day 5 and I still have got to hear from them. Today, I hired an attorney to take the driver and this company to court. I'm retired and have time at my disposal.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Kemper started working on my claim about a month ago and they concluded that my vehicle was total loss after two weeks of waiting. I was hopeful that this process would take about a week to get a check issued to my Lien holder so I could complete my GAP insurance claim. It’s been over 30 days since my accident and my bank has yet to receive a check. This has put a complete halt to me purchasing a new vehicle. My adjusted kept reassuring me that the check has been mailed with 2-day expedited shipping, it’s been four business days since and my check still has not been received. In my past insurance experiences with a similar situation has never been this lengthy. I cannot purchase a new car till my bank gets this check. I have never been more disappointed in an insurance company when I pay them monthly.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I filed a claim with Kemper after being hit by someone who carries a Kemper's auto policy. After two months, I only received a letter saying: “We are investigating the accident.” Even the other side sent me texts and emails acknowledged it was his phone. They NEVER return phone call or emails to give you an update. I reported Kemper to BBB and CDI (California Dept. Insurance) for their bad practices.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Someone hit my wife's Range Rover with this ** insurance and she called never get it back. And the agent's name is Carmen. If there's a review can give 0 I will do that... Now the body shop refuse to give us the car.

Original review: July 27, 2019

Connie ** was person assigned, she has done everything that she can to attempt to not pay claim. Kemper insured was driving a vehicle in Texas without registration when she slammed into Father in Law truck. This employee has used every ploy in attempt to no pay the claim. This has gone on since 6/8/19 and it’s now 7/27/19. I’m already speaking with my lawyer to start process to sue both Kemper and their insured, Caprice **. I received a call last week from Kemper stating I was behind on my monthly payment... How ignorant.. I don’t and never have or will use Kemper for any insurance needs! Still waiting for response from finally getting Kemper adjusters coming and taking pictures on 7/17/19 of damage their insured did.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I happy. Very pleased with the service and options I was given. Rates have stayed lower than the competitors for the last few years. I would recommend this company to anyone looking. I am a client for life.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I had Kemper Insurance for many many years, for whatever reason, never checked/verified if I had a good, reasonable rate. A year after I sold my home in 2017, I realized that they have been still doing automatic withdrawal on my account. After months and months, back and forth with Stromsoe Agency and Kemper main office, I was going to be issued a refund on Feb 2019, but instead they managed to put all the monies directly to my car insurance, which the rate skyrocketed to almost double for them not to return any refund! I automatically cancelled Kemper Insurance and saved almost $2000 on car insurance with another reputable company! BE VERY AWARE WITH KEMPER! UNTRUSTWORTHY COMPANY.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I had a hit and run accident recently. Fortunately, I saw the other driver's plate number but I did not have an evidence. I reported to Kemper insurance and police. Holly (Claim department) was very rude and I felt that she does not want to do anything to help me with the claim. I reported to her supervisor about her attitude. I am switching my insurance because of her service. Good bye Kemper!!

Original review: May 30, 2019

The company gave me the run around from an incident that took place in a parking lot of a restaurant we were eating at. Basically they kept putting us on hold. Got our information after a week trying to make a claim, lied they were sending someone out to find out damage. They never did. After a week of waiting for someone to come out, who never showed out and repeated phone calls and being on hold, we talked to an adjuster Ms.Iscard ** who says we were at fault for going into a hole in parking lot which was left uncovered by a work crew that morning. They wanted us to pay for our damage after weeks of no response. Never get insurance thru them. Not worth it. They fake fake fake.

Original review: May 1, 2019

We had an accident March 22 and filed a claim with Kemper. An uninsured driver was driving a car that was insured by Kemper and was at fault (that's what the police officer told us) yet, we come to find out, they will not be taking responsibility. We received one call in reference to the incident. When you call about your claim it asks you to enter your adjuster’s extension. When you do, the voicemail tells you she will be notified you called. Well, I've done that several times and did not receive a callback. I called a few times and held on the line for another adjuster which never came on the line. I called back and hit the button to file a new claim. They answered right away so I told them I needed to know the status of my claim.

They brought it up and placed me on hold, lo and behold, Yolanda was on the line. Well, she was no help at all. She informed me that they were not responsible and would not be paying. Well, I need something in writing stating that, so the deductible I have to pay through my insurance is lowered. I was told they are still waiting for information to be updated in their system and have no time frame of when it will happen. 21 days have gone by and they still haven't updated their system? This is very bad customer service. I hope people read all these reviews before getting insured by Kemper, and hope that no one gets hit by someone insured by Kemper because you will be out of luck.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I've had Kemper specialty as my insurance company for years. I got a way better insurance policy through State Farm. Upon calling to cancel the woman was rude and said I can only cancel in writing and it's gonna cost me $50. FOR WHAT? Believe all these poor reviews! This company sucks! I got full coverage for the same price I was paying for the lowest liability insurance through Kemper. I was also hit by an uninsured motorist and had zero luck even filing a claim. SCAM!

Original review: April 25, 2019

Don't even deal with these people. Get a lawyer. ALL THE REVIEWS ARE TRUE! THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER! ESPECIALLY A JAMES **! MY Car has been at the body shop for a week with no estimate and no transportation to and from work! The girl who hit me was not even on her parent insurance! I’m just gonna file a lawsuit against the whole company! I Rate NO STARS AT ALL!

Kemper - Auto Company Information