Kaiser Permanente Insurance

• 3%
  • 8%
  • 75%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaiser Permanente?

Reviewed May 18, 2024

I generally support health care institutions. I don't feel health care is a right and I believe we all need skin in the game to help keep costs down. Recently KP has really upset me. Without going into details, they denied granting me the option to seek an outside opinion. O.K fine, I changed my insurance and moved on. Then 6 months later I start receiving additional bills for services I thought I had paid in full. O.K my bad, but 6 months! Seems ridiculous. Additionally, I had almost the exact same services done (only more thorough) by my new provider and the total charges were less than half the KP charges. IMO, KP only cares about their bottom line and has lazy and sleazy billing practices. I would never recommend them to friend or family.

Reviewed May 18, 2024

Just went into Kaiser on Ming Ave in Bakersfield Ca for blood pressure test and was told the nurse would be back in 8 minutes, waited 15 and she didn't return. Went looking for her and was told that I wasn't the only patient. I pay an exorbitant amount of money for insurance. And I expect them to keep their word. Time is money. I would not recommend this lousy insurance even it was free.

Reviewed May 13, 2024

Worst insurance ever, I’ve been with Kaiser for a long time, I liked them before but now THEY ARE LITERALLY THE WORST, starting from their records department to all doctors. I am looking for alternatives.

Reviewed May 13, 2024

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PAYMENT...That's what it's all about the payment then good luck getting in for an appointment when you need one. Been trying to get in to Dermatology for over a year for a bleeding facial skin issue with no luck. After finally getting seen by my primary, an appointment was made 2 months in advance then cancelled 3 days prior. Now it's another month of waiting.

I also rushed my boss to the Fontana ER with breathing issues, could barely speak and couldn't walk and I couldn't get anyone to help and there were no wheelchairs available to even get him in the building! Plus they said it would be several hours before someone could look at him. We had to take him over to the doctor office building, surrender my ID to get a wheel chair, only to have him rushed back over to the Hospital side on a gurney then hospitalized for 2 weeks. Kaiser "used" to be the best in my opinion. I'm so pissed at this organization, but what can you do except wait and hopefully not die in the mean time.

Reviewed May 11, 2024

Going to Kaiser is like crossing your finger that you get a doctor that actually care about your life. I been with kaiser for more than 5 years and it's just getting worst, the staff and doctors just want to make a example of patients' life by not caring to do their job just to prove their point to the CEO that they need to get paid more money or this is what happens. Sad but true. Kaiser failed me as a paying patient to care for me.

Reviewed May 10, 2024

They are the worst! They bid all these coverages for cheap with the companies and then save their cost at the expense of the patients. They are here to take care of you, but to use delay, run-around, dismissing your issues, making seeing an specialist hard, hiring cheap physicians, etc. etc....tactics to be profitable. THEY SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS!

CoveragePrice

Reviewed April 30, 2024

Literally the worst insurance ever. Got charged $450 out of pocket to take a survey. $450 for a standard OBGYN visit. Processes make no sense and intended to price gauge. RUN!!! This place can hardly be called insurance, it’s terrifying, I’m sitting with issues because I can’t afford even a dr visit!!!

Reviewed April 24, 2024

I was in surgery 04 22 with a great group of people. Crna Lionel, Rn Bernard, St Kamal, Sa Linda and Jennyline all of them and all the people that I did not mention all of them are so professional, caring. The best place to be. Thanks so much for all you did for me and my family. God bless you.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupCoveragePunctuality & SpeedReliability

Reviewed April 22, 2024

Worst insurance. All excuses. Can't sync prescriptions so showing up every week for a month every 3 months. Excuses, call center, inability to find solutions. Unreliable mail order prescription delivery. Ridiculous. You can't sync prescriptions. In addition, can't get an appointment to save your life. Referral required for everything.

Reviewed April 16, 2024

Kaiser Permanente the excuse company. They have excuses for everything they always blame. Protocol. What a joke. Do not ever get this insurance. I will be leaving them as soon as I possibly can. I will pay double for any other coverage. These people suck.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 10, 2024

So, went in to Kaiser with sepsis 4 times now. Each time was a different "cure" for my infections, this last time it was an overnight in ER, and two full days in Hotel Kaiser. I was able to urinate when this all started a year ago now. Now, after 3 urologists, a Supra pubic catheter, a catheter in my left kidney, a stent (finally removed a couple weeks ago) in my right ureter, the original problem persists. BUT, where (everything actually worked when this all started), now I've got other problems. They install a tube to my bladder. Wait 3 months. Dilating catheter (finally, after a second opinion), and two days later the original problem is gone. Still have a tube in my left kidney to drain liquid retention (small pocket of liquid). HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO DRAIN SOMETHING!?! So a year later, two tubes, two bags, non-stop dripping from my (do-hickey), still being held hostage in my own home, sleeping in an uncomfortable-as-hell chair!

Write numerous messages to all doctors. No answer. Appointment in Urology in June. Wrote a message asking why. No answer. Video appointment one month from yesterday. No further information or answer. Like I have read on here, they do one thing, do NOT follow up, do NOT answer messages, need to dial a number and if you happen to call the correct number, it's at least 20 minutes to get someone to pick up just to give a vague answer.

I've ALWAYS had Kaiser, but hardly even needed them. Now that I need them, it takes over a year and all they've done is stick more tubes or something in me, and set an appointment for 3 months later. I'm getting to "dislike" Kaiser VERY MUCH! No wonder people take things into their own hands, borrowing meds from a friend or family member, trying to handle things on their own. I've had to figure out my own remedy after not just one, but two nurses tried to install a "regular" catheter in my (do-hickey) and caused pain due to a stricture that was so severe I couldn't stand, sit, walk, lie down or even hardly move for 5 WEEKS! And after multiple messages to the doctor, still no answer.

Tried calling, spoke to a nurse, repeated at least 3 times..."Severe pain" to which she replied, "Moderate pain". NOOOO! And, if one nurse can't stick a tube "up there", what is another set of hands going to do? Besides cause more pain?! If it don't fit, DON'T TRY! And I was screaming enough to be heard in the waiting room! Oh wait, one more thing. Even after all that, the doctor tried sticking his camera/scope up there. Wait a minute now! if the catheter doesn't fit, how's a scope going to fit? Sorry, better stop a few minutes ago. I'm beginning to HATE KAISER, and due to this, would NOT recommend. Still awaiting an answer from customer care personnel. It's only been two days.

Reviewed April 10, 2024

I have had the worst medical experience in my life with Kaiser. What a shame. I had chronic diarrhea for three months. I saw FOUR Kaiser doctors and my diarrhea persisted. It was as if they did not care. Why do they go into this profession? The 800# is worthless and so is their customer service department. I went to El Salvador on vacation. (I almost did not go because of my diarrhea). I saw a gastroenterologist there and I was been finally cured. SHAME ON KAISER!!!

Tina

I was so happy when I left. I went through so much abuse just to see an advanced trauma specialist. He told me that I had to lower my expectations to the ground when it comes to Kaiser and that I was lucky to be alive. At the end of our visit he said, " I hope I never see you here again." Meaning that he hoped I got the hint. I said, " I hope I never see you again either. I got out of Kaiser after 4 long years and unfortunately it seems that most healthcare are like Kaiser now

Reviewed April 7, 2024

I have Kaiser, but I'm not here to do anything other that to plead with them to stop the waste, and respect the planet! Every prescription I get comes with 8- 14 sheets of paper of details regarding the medication. It's simple really. Have an option to opt out of paper. Most people will, because they have the internet. Especially when it's a long standing prescription. Give it on the first fill for liability issues, and skip the rest. Please!

Customer Service

Reviewed April 2, 2024

The WORST level of care imaginable. Nobody wants to deal with you if you have an issue, ZERO follow up on conditions they diagnose (you have to find out about it on your portal). Basically, if you need any level of care outside of just a regular healthy check up, forget about it. My wife is in excruciating pain and NOBODY (not even her doctors) will follow up, despite the constant phone calls and emails. They are a hospital/patient factory.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed March 27, 2024

Every experience I've ever had with Kaiser Permanente has been horrible. Recently I tried to go through my primary care doctor to get an appointment. I Communicated I have Abdominal pain.. They didn't have an appointment for three weeks. I told him it was urgent requested the first available. Still took nearly 2 weeks. Then they scheduled an ultrasound at radiology which is three weeks after that. They told me if it persist or gets worse go to the emergency room.

I called today complaining about the same abdomen pain, nurse recommended I go directly to emergency room for an ultrasound. Baldwin Park emergency room after a three hour wait still not seen by a DR. After 3 1/2 hours I told him I cannot stay here the entire day. So I left. Now I'm finding out there trying to charge me for the CO-Pay. Trying to resolve this over the phone is a joke... You're lucky to speak to a representative within the hour. Often requires multiple callbacks to achieve what you're trying to process. Sometimes takes days to get a reasonable response. Kaiser insurance is fine if you never get sick. Occasional flu prescription over the phone. God forbid you get seriously ill or have a disease. Kaiser will kill you before they cure you.

Reviewed March 27, 2024

If it were possible to leave a zero star rating, I would. Most disgusting, unprofessional, and unethical “practice” of medical attention. In three months, I was lied to, spoken to by a “Dr” in a manner no one should experience. I had to tell the doctors what and when tests and medications should have been ordered as I was scheduled for surgery. Five different times scheduled with the wrong Drs. Not one Dr who works with all the other Drs agree on anything. When I filed formal complaints (with major reasonings) I’m asked if I want mental health help to get me through the trauma their Drs and techs caused! I took my children off KP and will spend my day searching for a new insurance company. I know KP thinks I’m just going to go away, but you are wrong! No one should feel like they are on an episode of Punk'd when seeking medical attention.

Customer Service

Reviewed March 18, 2024

Had a stent put in my 2 arteries and am very happy about the procedure done. Was recommended cardiac rehabilitation program on january 18th and on march 8th. But have heard nothing, if I call no response.

Customer ServiceCoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed March 8, 2024

DO NOT GET KAISER PERMANENTE INSURANCE EVER. Absolute worst patient service. Must go through main call center for everything. Some representatives nice & helpful; many others rude & condescending. 3 days ago had bad accident. Immediately went to 3 hospital ERs. 1st the one nearest home 45-minutes away, 2nd Kaiser “Advanced Care” 90- minutes from my home, not a full-fledged ER, a glorified Urgent Care. 3rd a well-respected hospital, affiliated with Kaiser. I was examined & told I require surgery within 5 days.

Altogether, took 14 hours & 300 miles driving. Luckily, wife was home when accident occurred. Scheduled appointment for today with Kaiser Ortho PA-C, which was canceled this morning, as she called out sick. Must only have one at this location. Next closest Kaiser location to me is 3 hours away, 6-hour round trip. Next available appointment March 26, 20 days after accident. Can’t call any doctor or department directly, must leave messages thru call center reps, who say call will be returned within 72 hours. Injury occurred 3 days ago, 72 hours = 3 more days, 1 day after required surgery date & that’s to speak with someone, not to have an appointment or schedule surgery.

Found an out-of-Kaiser specialist at top hospital, where Kaiser surgeons operate, who can see me Monday, 3 more days but can’t without Kaiser referral. Called Kaiser again, 5th time today, over total of 7 hours. Requested a referral. Was told they’d send the message but it takes 7 to 10 days for a “Board Review.” A person could have permanent damage or die before being seen & taken care of by Kaiser. Why pay astronomical prices for coverage to get none. I’d be better off having no insurance. I don’t know what to do. I’m scared, angry & worried that I am going to be forever damaged, unable to use my dominant right hand, wrist & arm. Please don’t get Kaiser. If you have Kaiser, cancel & purchase insurance that will actually cover you, especially in emergency situations.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 5, 2024

We have been facing an extremely disappointing experience with Kaiser Permanente. The customer service was abysmal, just stick to routine responses without empathy. The quality of care was subpar, with dismal preventive care services and neglect in the ongoing care of health concerns. It was nearly impossible to get an appointment with my primary care doctor within a reasonable time frame, and my issues were consistently ignored or misdiagnosed. Overall, I felt like the Kaiser staff and doctors were doing me a favor rather than providing medical service for the insurance premiums we pay. Kaiser Permanente seems to prioritize profit over patient care, showing little regard for their obligations to members. Due to these issues, I will be moving out of Kaiser Permanente to a PPO, even if it costs more, for better care from experienced medical professionals.

Online & App

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2024

Kaiser needs no introduction for its sub-par service and fat shaming policies. They hide behind their "preventative wellness" motto and blame their customers for being sick rather than provide medical treatment. Their App and online services don't work. I've only ever received past-due notices, no bills. When you log on online it says I owe a balance of $0.00 despite having "past due" bills that I'm being penalized for. I've spent hours of my life online trying to sort out the issue to no avail. I honestly think everyone would live longer not dealing with the stress of kaiser and their poor services.

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2024

Kaiser wants new members when THEY CAN NOT take care of the members they have. I am having major issues but can’t get into a specialist for 4 months. They told me to go to the ER if I have to. WRONG.

Customer ServiceCoveragePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 8, 2024

I regret switching to Kaiser and can't wait to change next year. I am without a prescription because they won't cover it even though it's on their list - I checked before choosing them. Apparently, they need to pre-authorize a medicine that I have been taking for a while. I was told I needed to try other medicines before they would approve it. I have been working with my doctor for years and have tried other medicines. I am currently unable to take this medicine because they won't approve it and just keeping my fingers crossed that the consequences aren't too severe.

I was also told I need to go to their pharmacy and they won't take the Pfizer savings card, like CVS was happy to do, and it will cost me five times as much. The site said that two Walgreens in the city were affiliated for prescriptions but their rep said I have to go to them. This is the worst experience that I have ever had with an insurance company. You are also required to talk to someone in order to transfer your prescriptions. They were late to both calls so be prepared to wait.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2024

I have been a long time member of KAISER here in Sacramento area. I have noticed that it's almost impossible to get any help online or by phone anymore. When I call the Customer Service Dept. with a question about my coverage, the phone response I get is: "no one from this dept. is available now. Try your call later." But no one answers when I call later either. I get the same response when I go online to talk to a real person rep. or even a robot! In my opinion Kaiser's Member Services Dept. is totally dropping the ball when it comes to helping their members with questions they might need answered.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Jan. 24, 2024

I had a total shoulder replacement for severe rheumatoid arthritis at the beginning of 2024. I’m still in the recovery phase . The pain meds they gave me were too strong and I had called tried to get something else. I have placed four urgent messages to email messages and nobody has called me back, now I did file a complaint with Kaiser, and one of the people from the grievance. Also reached out and sent an urgent message. I finally called again and I was able to get hold of a nurse at about 415 and they gave me a prescription for just 18 pain pills if taken as directed, they would be gone in three days.

I’m not a drug seeker. I just wanna make sure I have adequate pain control especially since I’ll be starting physical therapy in a couple weeks. The sad part is is I am a physician assistant with over 48 years experience and this is the worst postop care I have ever experienced or seen. Need to say I will be leaving Kaiser. Run. Do not get this insurance.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2024

Made an appointment, paid my $85 copay, saw the doctor for few seconds, and got a bill a month later for an additional $375, no explanation, talked to the billing department, they could not explain the extra charge, doctor did nothing but chat with me for few seconds..Absolute rip off, con artists, this company is a huge scam. Get out.

Price

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2024

I cannot make an appointment. When I finally get one I usually wind up seeing allied health. The drug formulary is a joke. If the drug is not at least 25 years old you will never have access to it. I have lost all confidence in this company. Oh by the way.. it’s not cheap.

Reviewed Jan. 7, 2024

Called the Kaiser Advice nurse seeking urgent care appointment on a Sunday, 1/7/24. She wanted me to speak with a physician about my symptoms. The female doctor was incredibly unprofessional and curt. As a UC Davis Registered Nurse myself, I would NEVER recommend Kaiser to anyone I loved or cared about. We will certainly be dropping Kaiser come open enrollment. Thanks for absolutely nothing!

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServiceCoverageEase of Use

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2024

What the hell happened to Kaiser? I have been with them on and off since I was a kid. Up until 2019, I praised them for their ease of use and available services. I had them for minimal use in 2022, with no issues. Yet when restarting my Platinum coverage for $8,734.79 /year on Jan 1, 2024 - attempted to call and schedule an appointment with any available physician within 50 miles and was told there was an 8-week wait for the furthest medical office or 10-week wait for the nearest to me (still 30-mins away).

I refuse to pay $730 a month, to get a $1460 single doctor's visit. I'll be filing a chargeback with my bank immediately! If they contest, I've already arranged legal to lawyer up. BUYER BEWARE! Do not enroll in any level of Kaiser coverage, because you're better off paying out of pocket for a private practice or Urgent Care to get basic needs me. This is an absolute *S*C*A*M* provider (or lack thereof).

Jamie

I, too, have been with Kaiser for years. Since 1982. You are correct. The service has gone to hell. I can't get an appointment for weeks out. I do have a nice doctor right now but was referred to the GI dept. because of ongoing issues with my colon. I've been on the "list" for about three months and still am not on a schedule. I need an upper and lower GI. Nothing to do but wait and suffer! I understand the reason we can't get an appointment, is because Kaiser signed with the government to care for the illegals. The poor doctors are very busy. I don't blame them. I blame the administrators. It's very frustrating.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2023

For anyone thinking about getting Kaiser, RUN. For anyone who has Kaiser SWITCH. Kaiser is not a place you want to be if you get sick. They could never make up their mind what my dad's diagnosis was. However, he had a blood clot which they stopped treating leading to organ failure. The nurses were not turning him. They threatened our family with restraining orders to keep us away from the hospital. They made it extremely difficult for people to visit. They weren’t honest about the state of his condition. They never let him rest, they were rude, abrupt and treated him like a pin cushion. They killed his spirit and told him to give up, told my family to give up.

The rapid speed at which he declined was one of the scariest things I had ever seen in my life. My father died from septic shock due to gross negligence, poor treatment and lack of cleanliness of the hospital. We would come in and creams or ointments they were using were left out and open, he had a huge bed sore they lied about. They intubated him for too long and admitted they had no one to excavate him. There’s so much more but I can’t address it here. Stay away from this slaughterhouse of a hospital, not worth wasting your money on insurance to in the end not have a doctor be able to treat you and be ignored by staff. When we tried to take him out of network they denied multiple times. My dad was young and we are still in shock and angry. He’s very loved and will be missed.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2023

Fortunately I'm not even a member. I was offered their health plan by my employer. I was trying to make an informed decision and I contacted them many times and I could never get a proper answer. At this point I will not be choosing this company and I feel bad for the people that have Kaiser Permanente as their only option.

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company Information