1.76/5

1049 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I received a liver transplant in 2014. Humana, at that time covered my rejection meds under part D. Now they have reclassified my meds to be covered under part B, which is costing a $100 more for meds I can't live without. I have wasted countless hours on the phone trying to get an answer why, yet no one could tell me. All they would say is file an appeal, which I did and they turned me down. Then I was told by Humana that I could file a grievance, which I did about 1 month ago. Yesterday, I received a bill from them for $756. They went back all the way to 1/2017 and reclassified all my rejection meds. They billed me extra for meds I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR!!! I will not be paying them another dime. This bill is their response to the grievance that I filed.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have the Humana Gold HMO. The plan offers a free dental cleaning once a year as long as you use Humana's dentist in network. Great. So I went to Coast Dental in my area. Got to the dentist and requested the general cleaning but to my surprise Coast Dental would not do the general cleaning unless I paid $150. I walked out. So then I went to another dentist in my network Aspen Dental. After 2 hrs of extensive trays they too would not do a general cleaning only a deep cleaning. For get this they wanted an astonishing $4,000 dollars. Guess what? I walked out. So in the end Humana sucks. I am now looking for another health care provider.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

A rep from Humana made an appointment with me to meet me in a public place (Dunkin Donuts) in my town, on a Sat. morn at 10:00 AM to familiarize me w/ Medicare Advantage Plans. He never showed (or called). It was a great inconvenience to me to be in that time, place, and hour. I waited 20+ mins, then went home. If this is how reliable they are, I do not ever want to deal with Humana again and will keep my present Medicare Plan.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I am a Navy Reservist who enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select when I left Active Duty in 2016. On 06 July 2018 I attempted to switch my primary care provider from Massachusetts to Maryland, because I was moving for work. This is when I discovered I was no longer covered under TRICARE. Humana findings reflect that I was sent notification on 02/07/2018. No such letter notification me. As a result of not receiving this notification, I was out of coverage from 2018-02-01 to 2018-07-05. The reason I failed to notice that I was outside of the 150 grace period, is because I did not seek regular medical care or have any prescriptions and the insurance fee for TRS is less than $50/month, an amount so small, that I did not notice when it no longer came out of my paycheck.

The lapse in coverage makes me liable to a federal fee estimated at 2.5% of my yearly household income, prorated for the months I was out of coverage, up to a maximum penalty of $2,085, which I expect to pay on my 2018 tax return. Please see link for details: ** My stance is that no such notification reached me, via any medium and that it was irresponsible for Humana to drop me from coverage without attempting to notify me via phone, through my primary care provider, or by send additional letters or attempts to contact me in other ways. It would have been simple to obtain my emails through TRICARE, as they are linked to my DEERS on milConnect.

I believe the assumption was that I would seek coverage or have a prescription(s) that would have to be renewed within 150 days and that, therefore, I would notice I was out of coverage within the grace period. However, I did not seek treatment, nor have prescriptions, and was completely unaware that I was out of coverage until I attempted to switch my coverage to a new state and schedule an annual check-up. To this day, I do not know why your notification did not reach me.

Below is a timeline of the facts as I know them: January 2018 – I received a letter in the mail from Humana informing me that TRICARE had switched primary care providers. The letter instructed me to provide my Checking Account and Bank Routing information so that I could be enrolled in auto-pay for Humana. I filled out the letter and mailed it in. Unbeknownst to me, this particular piece of paper did not enroll me in auto-pay, it simply charged me for a single month of coverage (January 2018).

February 2018 – I am dropped from health care coverage by Humana without knowledge. Humana claims they sent notification. I received no such notification and because I thought I had enrolled in auto-pay in January, I did not make a note to pay my fee again. July 2018 – I move from Massachusetts to Maryland for work. I attempt to switch to a local provider and find out that I don’t have health insurance anymore. I contacted Humana to get back on insurance and attempt to get coverage for the months I was out of coverage. The same day, I sent a grievance letter to Humana, explaining my situation. September 2018 – I received a response from Humana. Their stance is that they sent me notification and did not receive a response. I don't know what kind of notification it was, I assume it was a letter in the mail that never reached me.

Since July I have contacted members of my Navy Reserve units in Massachusetts and Maryland. I have several people who can attest to the fact that Humana’s letter, sent in January 2018, gave the impression that it would enroll members in auto-pay, but instead only charged for one month of coverage. In several instance my fellow service members told me that Humana admitted the mistake to them and that the originally letter, sent in January, should have enrolled members in auto-pay. These members were given the opportunity to have their coverage back-dated, because Humana admitted the error to them. The difference is that most of the fellow sailors I talked to, either seek regular treatment or have family that do. Because of that, they immediately noticed when they were out of coverage. I did not seek treatment for over 150 days, and therefore did not realize I was no longer insured.

I strongly believe that there are many other military members in a similar position. Furthermore, I believe that many other people currently do not realize that they are out of coverage, because they have not sought treatment and were dropped without proper notification. When dropping member from health insurance, I believe due process includes some verification that the notification was received by the member, or that it would be beyond a reasonable doubt that they would have received the notification. The VA follows similar principles, contacting members every month via mail, e-mail and phone when it is unclear members received notification to an issue that could cause grave financial hardship if not addressed, such as falling medically ill while unknowingly out of coverage. Alternatively, the notification should have been sent certified mail, to ensure that it reached the intended recipients.

I intend to write my congressional representatives, the state attorney general's consumer protection bureau and the inspector general to request a preliminary investigation to look into this matter and ensure that Humana takes actions to rectify the situation by aggressively notifying all members who were dropped from insurance since January 2018, informing them that they are no longer covered. Furthermore, I believe Humana should bear the cost of federal penalties imposed on all of those members, for failure to follow due process in ensuring these members were made adequately aware that they had been dropped from coverage.

For the record, I do not plan to claim any illness or care for service during the time I was out of coverage, as I did not seek any medical services from January 2018 – July 2018 and did not fall ill. I simply intend to either seek that my coverage is back-dated for the months I was out of coverage, or that Humana pay the federal penalty for my lapse in coverage, which will come due on my 2018 taxes.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

After 30-40 calls I am still nowhere in trying to get $46,000 back from someone who is withdrawing money monthly from my bank account. I am not even a customer. Beware. They can apparently do the same to you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My wife and I have been members since 2012. I never missed a payment. I'm on auto pay. My wife broke a tooth and we had to pay for it ourself which we assumed we had full coverage. We decided to upgrade our coverage to include major services in case we need it in the future. I called your customer support and recorded the conversation and was told it would be 74.99 a month with no waiting since we had continuous coverage since 2012. I told the gentleman, "Let me call my wife and see if she wants to pay that and have her call you back." My wife called 30 minutes after I called and was told she will have to have a 12 month waiting when she told them she has a recording that the person my husband spoke to said no waiting.

The principle is not about waiting 12 month. We got the tooth fixed. You can contact our dentist and he will tell you it was a back tooth and all other teeth are healthy. I will provide my dentist contact below. The representative was rude would not let my wife speak to a manager and if this is the treatment your company training is that's a shame. I'm so angry that I will not stop till this is resolved. I will contact the media if I have to resort to that.

My wife is Magda ** and she deserves an apology. We don't care about your waiting period because will look for Dental insurance somewhere else with a 12 month waiting. This treatment is unacceptable. Her contact information is **. Our policy number is **. My dentist name is Dr. **. Representative didn't want me to talk to her manager after insisting. She kept me on hold for 1 hour 23 minutes. I posted online a Short video her telling me her manager was going to be on the phone all day. (I told her I was recording the call.) Also a picture of my teeth that I take great care of.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I guess some people find they are OK but my experience has been bad. I had Humana for about a year. Blindly trusting them that they were giving me a good price on Rx. Then a co worker told me about his experience with them and that I should compare prices at the pharmacy without using my Humana Card. Wow, what a difference. I could get some Rx for free that Humana was charging me for. Humana charged me over 7 times what I could get the same Rx for without using them. All the while they are charging me $18.00 a month. I was paying them monthly so they could charge me more than I could get the Rx for at pharmacy regular price. Avoid them unless you want to pay lots more for your Rx.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I am a member of Humana Gold Plus HMO in Florida. I have decided I have had enough. I can't get a Well Woman exam from my gynecologist even though she is in my network because of a referral technicality Humana has not resolved, known as an "integrated denial notice." Basically, Humana benefits will state that I can go to my gynecologist for a Well Woman exam, but then later will deny the claim. If Humana sends me an "integrated denial notice," (and good luck finding anyone at Humana who will do that or who even understands what that means -- I don't either), I can visit my gynecologist for a problem BUT she cannot give me a pap smear, even though she is in their list of providers. This is because Humana will refuse to pay for the consult part of the Well Woman exam and I will end up paying it. So yes, I can go see her if I am willing to pay the insane fee for a consult that Humana should be paying.

This is just one of many nightmare scenarios I have run into with Humana. In addition, their list of primary care doctors in our area is horrendous. The doctor quality is abysmal; they get low ratings and low reviews from their patients; Many of these doctors are all in the same few companies; yes, doctors are in for-profit companies now and no longer care about providing actual care to patients; My patient records are often wrong and need to be corrected by me at every visit -- What would happen if I were unconscious and relying on them to make sure there were no errors??

The doctors change frequently! They move to different offices and there is NO CONTINUITY OF CARE.Also, there is so much WRONG INFORMATION on Humana's website about doctors in my area and specialists. They list doctors who no longer accept Humana, or who accept Humana but not my insurance (even though I am signed in to myhumana), or they list doctors who are retired and no longer practicing! Or who have moved to another state! All of this I have encountered.

Trying to get help on the phone from Humana's customer service is like a three-ring circus. Each department will refer you to another department but be unable to help you. Many times the people you speak with will be very nice, but still unable to help you. Either they don't have the information you seek, or they have never heard of this type of problem before, or they don't know who to refer you to, or they refer you to someone else, who also cannot help you.

Humana does NOT care about people, or patients. They are a large, impersonal INSURANCE COMPANY. I remember the days when it was just doctors treating patients with no middle man. The doctors did what they thought was best for the patients. That is sadly no longer the case. Even in my physicals, I cannot remember the last time a doctor actually looked at me anywhere on my body or touched me during a physical. How can you see if I have bruises, lumps, cuts, or any abnormality if you do not have me undress and put on a robe for an actual physical exam??? This is ridiculous!

For specialists, there is only one dermatology clinic in my network here with multiple locations throughout the city. Unfortunately, they are terrible! The lowest quality of care you can imagine. And this is who Humana has contracted with. There is so much more to say, but Humana simply is not worth it. After being with them for years, I will look elsewhere, although I am worried there may not be better options out there. To the young people who want "universal Medicare," or "Medicare for all," I would say, if you have not actually been on Medicare and do not know how bad it really is and what a poor selection of doctors and choices you have, be careful what you wish for.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have an HMO plan from my employer. Humana couldn't even verify what affiliations were in my network. Every customer service agent tells you different information. The "Search In Network Provider" section of the website "pulls all of the partners with Humana - not just the providers in your network." That is extremely misleading and untrustworthy. Customer Service explained that I need to call them every single time to verify if a doctor is in my network. But, be expected to get misleading information. I've spent hours trying to figure out every aspect of my network. My medical claims keep disappearing and Humana is unable to find them in their systems. They will report on my account portal for about a week and disappear. I would rather pay out of pocket for insurance than continue with Humana. I will not be returning.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been treated for years for a particular medical issue. I’ve suddenly have to prove that I’ve had this issue for at least three months, have at least four or more episodes in a month (on average 15 days a month), have tried their list of alternative drugs (which I can’t take because they’re chemically similar and cause kidney stones), and the kicker is my condition needs to be life threatening before they will consider covering it. Humana has been my insurance company for years. All they have to do is look at my billing records and they would know what I’ve been taking and for how long. I’m very disappointed in this turn of events.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have been with Humana for over 15 years. Always taken the same meds. Now they barely cover any of my meds. I used to pay about $35 total, now I pay close to $400 a month for my meds. They are a joke. One of my medicines 2 years ago jumped to a $45 copay and then when the generic came out it jumped to $50, now they don’t pay anything at all on it. And these medicines are very common medicines.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Humana Insurance might be good for others but I tell you it is the worst company to deal with for any matter for grievances or anything. They do not budge at all. I myself was set up by a consultant with my witness to sign up for Humana. Now that I had purchased or enrolled in Humana the representative that helped me get in the door with Humana, put me in the wrong category. I wanted an HMO plan but was put on a PPO plan. I like to see my doctor not theirs in the network. There a bunch of cheap doctors that can be found anywhere these days and Humana definitely is not the choice for you! I went to the dentist and was told from my representative that put me on and applied me for. Humana said I would be covered a hundred percent for dental, at that point when going to the dentist I had to pay full price.

Be careful on choosing this insurance plan because it's screwed me over for 2 and 1/2 months until I got back on my original healthcare that I had before this horrible Humana service. The representative put me in the wrong category, wrong prescription plan also. Put me in the wrong category because I wanted an HMO plan and he put in a PPO plan. Nevertheless I found out about this when I went to my doctor and they said they don't take this insurance. In other words Humana which is a joke. I had to spend over $300 at the dentist. Not a dime was paid from Humana so I called Humana customer service and was told that I wasn't enrolled in a dental plan. Would you believe that???

Poor evaluation for this company. Please if you have any respect for you or family members to get them into Humana please take note of my problems. I had gone through for 2 months for them just to figure this out as in PPO as opposed to HMO. Couldn't even get my prescriptions even though I was told I have a plan that will let me go anywhere for my prescriptions so at that point my medication was needed and it cost me over $150 out of pocket because they were not in the network. Yeah so this goes to show you. Be careful with these people because the representative lied right to our face. When applying and getting into a Humana Plan for all of my needs. Dental prescription, doctor, etc. So wouldn't you believe they reimbursed me for that hundred and fifty dollars yes, no I am wrong. They only paid for $120 as opposed to my total price that I paid 150 dollars.

Please go somewhere else. Get your insurance somewhere else because I'm still in a grievance about my dental that cost me out of pocket again $250 this time. Now they are insisting that I did not read what was sent to me with my new package for this Humana Plan. I'm just totally disgusted I live on a fixed income and I had a representative falsely tell me and my witness complete and utter lies. This is the representative's name that I shall share on my review here. His name was Bob **. Yes if Bob were to read this go for it buddy because you sold me down the road. You should not be a representative for any insurance company. You give false representation and many other things under the law. So everybody have a wonderful day out there and make sure about this. Don't go with Humana Insurance.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Needed gap coverage. They refused me. I am healthy. They are full of **. Stay away from them. I got 4 different explanations why they cannot accept me. I have two meds I take and they told me because of these meds they have to deny coverage, I told them I have part d. They did not care. GOD BLESS America.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I’m finally able to enjoy retirement and am on a three month road trip. Two weeks into our trip, I received a call from my pharmacy that my blood pressure medication was recalled. So I called my doctor who provided another med. After about a week on the new med, my BP was not getting any lower so I called the doctor who said to double what I was taking. So, I ran out of the med and called the doctor's office for him to call in a refill.

By this time we were about 2,000 miles from home. The pharmacy, Walgreens, called and said my insurance wouldn’t cover the refill because it was too early to refill. After many calls to Humana they said they would do an override. So I called Walgreens to find out when I could pick up my prescription. They said that Humana had mailed my Rx to my home in Florida BUT I was in Arizona. Everytime I spoke to Humana I said I was traveling but in their infinite wisdom they had mailed it to Florida where all my mail is being forwarded to a digital mailbox. So that left me with the only option to go to Walgreens and pay for a three week’s supply so that I would have enough to last until we get home! I will try to get these costs reimbursed but if not, I will contact the regulatory authorities.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I am a retired WV State Employee. Humana is my designated insurance with Medicare. I have a torn rotator cuff and ligament damage. My orthopedic surgeon after attempting to use physical therapy to correct this problem unsuccessfully has designated surgery for my issue. An MRI has been reviewed by my doctor. The appropriate request has been submitted to Humana Ortho Net. Only half my recommended procedure was approved by Humana. My doctor will not perform half a surgery. Humana does not seem to care about their customer needs. As of now my surgery is on standby until Humana reviews their decision. I am in severe pain and hope Humana assumes their just responsibility.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I made multiple phone calls to Humana customer service and the Walgreens Pharmacy, After receiving poor responses from Humana, I wanted to make this issue visible to other current and perspective Humana customers. I live in NC but often visit family in IL. I take multiple medications daily and sometimes forget to pack one of them. I take a medication for cancer. They are tiny pills that I did not include with my other medications on my last trip. When I realized I did not have the medication, I called my doctor who phoned in a prescription to Walgreens.

When I went to pick up the medication, I was told by Walgreens that Humana would not pay for a 30 day vacation supply (I only needed 7 pills) because I already had two vacations refills for different medications in the past 12 month. After several phone calls, Humana said there was no way to approve the refill, but if I could wait another 9 days, I could order a normal 90 day refill. As I cannot go without this medication, I was left with no other choice but to go to Walgreens and pay for it over the counter.

I asked the Humana Customer supervisor to raise the issue to management and told her I would be taking the issue to Humana senior management. I sent a similar communication to the CEO and the head of Customer Service. To date I've had no meaningful reply. I find it inconceivable that a large company such as Humana has no way to override a policy where appropriate. Humana essentially told me, a cancer patient, that they are not capable of or interested in meeting basic patient needs. Fortunately the costs of this medication was not high, but I spent several hours on the phone and ended up making 3 trips to Walgreens. Imagine the impact to a customer in this situation if the cost of the medication was hundreds of dollars. From a customer’s perspective, Humana needs to do a thorough review of its “vacation refill” policy.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

This is absolutely the worst health insurance company I've ever dealt with. They are worthless, sending now claims that I paid, back in January, and denying them, because of "an error," are you kidding me? 240.00 at the Syracuse Eye Center with a Ph.D., an excellent optometrist, highly recommended. Now they're denying it because of an "error"? Really? I've had nothing but trouble with them... hours on the phone with "customer service," in foreign countries... get nowhere, but cause me more grief and misery.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Worse insurance company, useless and impossible to cancel. Have been trying to cancel my dental insurance with them as I have not been able utilize any benefits since I signed up with them years ago. They don't allow you to cancel online and when you call them, you have to speak to a customer service representative. Except they are always closed so I have not been able to reach one.

Original review: July 31, 2018

4 weeks ago I got an email from Humana. One of their supervisors alerting me that I had a check for reimbursement from the dental plan that I have with them. They have the wrong address so we straightened that out and when the right address is posted supposedly they were mailing the check. Well I've never gotten the check. The supervisor stop taking my emails Humana. When I went into the corporate website started emailing say they were going to look into it. Well it's been exactly five weeks no check have not lived up to what they said they were going to do and all I said to them every month they take out their premium. Wherever I'm at this company does not follow up with what they say.

Original review: July 31, 2018

My husband had a liver transplant on April 19th 2014. We had to pay 3,000.00 out of pocket expenses for pre opp treatment to get on the transplant list. But when transplant became available it did not cost us one penny. Humana paid us traveling and hotel expense to and from Dr but since transplant they're not wanting to pay anymore because UAB is out-of-network. He has so see transplant doctors for up to 10 years. Wish they would pay per what the policy states.

Original review: July 31, 2018

My doctor's office Palm Humana for a pre-authorization for three shots in my shoulder. We received a pre-authorization number and approval. After first shot Humana said they would not pay for any of it. After authorizing the shots. Humana has discriminated against me because of my education and my mental capacity. They lied to me every time I talk to them. Do not do not use Humana!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Dentist never received their money. They tell you lies. They refused to pay the bill. They promise they are paying it since they errored by telling us our dentist was in network. 11 calls later with checks were promised. They continue to blow you off. Do not... I repeat do not use their dental plan. Their customer service is horrific! I have names and dates.

Original review: June 30, 2018

After retiring I chose Humana's Medicare Advantage plan, I chose the plan that included dental and vision, and pay an extra $22 a month to upgrade the dental plan over what was included with the Humana Medicare Advantage plan. Before going to the dentist for my first semi-annual cleaning, I logged in to Humana's website and checked my coverage, it showed that I was covered for cleaning, two times a year, and x-rays, one time a year, 100%, in or out of network.

The secretary at the dentist office called Humana, before my appointment and they faxed her an exclamation of benefits, for me, that stated that I am covered 100% for cleanings, in or out of network. The dentist billed Humana $135 for cleaning and the yearly x-rays. Humana paid $57.00 for both, I had to pay $78. With me in the office, the dentist's secretary called Humana to ask why they only paid $57. After we had both checked before my appointment, and the lady's reply was, "we paid a 100% of what we would pay".

The EyeMed vision plan, through Humana's Medicare Advantage Plan, did almost exactly the same thing, I checked my benefits, on the EyeMed website with my login before I made the appointment, it showed that I was covered 100% for the eye exam, in or out of network. The routine eye exam was $65, the new single vision lens was $60, $125 total, EyeMed paid $0, and now they say I have used up all my benefits for 2018... I don't know if all the advantage plans are like this, but Humana's is. I will file a complaint with the State of Texas.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have to change insurance companies (MCO), reason being, my provider hasn't gotten paid for last year's dental cleaning. I've had this insurance since October of 2015. They've paid for the 2 prior years of cleanings and this year I've been receiving calls from my provider saying that they've repeatedly called and submitted claims for the last cleaning which was in Oct. 2017. The first claim was denied, they've been given different reasons as to why. Depending on who answers I called repeatedly with no satisfaction. Now there are 3 claims submitted and pending from my provider because they kept claiming that they didn't receive them, which now I know they have and I need to wait a week or 2 to see if they're going to pay it. Every time I call they say I need to wait to see if it's approved. I'm allowed 1 cleaning a year. This is ridiculous, it's been 8 months now since my last cleaning and I don't want to go through this again.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Humana Mail Order - We did not approve overnight delivery, nor did we agree to pay $17. I have called and called and have been transferred around and on hold for hours to get it reversed. I know these calls are RECORDED and I am tempted to file a case with Consumer Affairs. It's the principle.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Within a month of signing up for Humana’s managed healthcare I regretted it. I knew this was an HMO but I was not given correct information at the get go and what that meant in the round with Medicare. I have had HMO plans through my past employers and never had any issues, even after Obamacare came in. As someone recently retired and just now using Medicare I was unfamiliar with some of the terms. While I realize that is not Humana’s problem they have been much less than helpful. While I knew this was an HMO I was not given correct information at the get go and what that meant in the Medicare arena.

They deny every claim that is submitted even though the service was preapproved and I get a Notification of the approval. Regrettably their notifications our phone calls from a computer which just say, "Service your doctor has requested has been approved." They do not tell you what service was approved which is ridiculous.

I’ve called them many times but get no answers that make any sense or they just tell me that’s the way it is. If I could give them zero stars I would. Most likely I will now have to be taking them to the state insurance commission in Texas where I live because of all the denials and issues I’ve had with them since January 1, 2018. I also plan to contact Medicare directly to see if I can assist. Please please heed this warning and do not ever ever ever sign up for Humana Medicare, managed-care, or any other type of service provided by this company. They are one huge scam! AGAIN ZERO STARS!!!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I switched to Humana from Blue Cross PPO this year after asking my GP what he recommended. It looks good that there are zero payments but I have found the hard way my co-pays are huge. And example: I use the ** to treat a knee surgery. It’s a generic drug that I paid about five dollars a tube when I was with Blue Cross Medicare. Humana would not let me get the ** and was forcing me to buy the name brand $50 a tube. My pharmacy and my doctor appealed that decision and Humana came back with $45 per tube. I have found that Humana rejects almost everything the first time it’s submitted.

That is a pain and it also slows treatment. Another reason example: I have had six lower back surgeries in the last seven years. My last surgery was done by a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami Beach FL. After the last surgery he told me that he would not perform another lower back surgery due to the number of times I’ve had lower back surgery. Dr **, results were excellent. I did start having some sciatic pain in my right leg only and he had told me about a nerve stimulator that would be inserted into my spine and a control box lower on my back near my waist. That has done whirls to improve my lifestyle. Mount Sinai had charged about $11,000 for the procedure and Humana paid the hospital roughly $7000. Then I got a bill from Humana saying that my portion of the procedure was a little bit less than $5000.

Being on Social Security as you can imagine that is about a third of my income. I am concerned about my future medical needs due to Humana‘s minimum payments and shifting large portion to the consumer. Their phone service is not very reliable as well because you’re constantly being transferred and asking questions to a computer voice. I would give Humana at the most 2 Stars. I am also going to try next year to get on straight Medicare with additional coverage from Blue Cross Medicare PPO. Buyer beware. Not all the supplements are the same and if you’re going through an insurance broker don’t expect to get an honest suggestion.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Should find better agent to communicate with customers. This time I needed help to find doctor's list on the net and was connected to the agent with a loud water running noise in the background. So he hung up on me when I told him that the loud water running was interfered in the conversation to the point that he could hardly hear my answer. Could not find the provider with good reviews. Will consider change to a difference insurance next year.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My mother is in a nursing home and it's towards the end of her life. They want to send her to rehab so she can walk again. It to extend her life a little longer but Humana has denied that because the end result will still be the same. So they don't want to spend any money putting her to rehab because she still going to die in the end and I think that's pretty crappy. So they denied her paying for the rehab through the hospital which might have made it possible for her to walk and stay in her home a little longer before the end of her life. I don't think they should have the right to deny her rehab when it could help even though the end result will be the same. So just know when you're going to die they might not want to sink any more money into you because in the end isn't that what it's all about the money? Humana you should be ashamed.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Every month they take premiums out of my bank account. Then come to find out that I have no insurance. It was cancelled due to non payment. So I call. They tell me it's taken care of. Then low and behold the following month it's the same thing. Only this month when I call they tell me I did not pay for 4 months. I have the bank statement proving that I did. I faxed those in to them. They say they have no idea where the money went. Never had a problem before they changed to Humana. Total nightmare. The military SHOULD NOT be treated this way!!!

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information