Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Humana Health Insurance
1.68/5

Humana Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1184 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

Humana offers so much more than just medical coverage. They have so many different ways of offering at no cost preventive activities and other help lines. I have been with Humana for years. They have went out of their way to suggest and assist me in getting extra help medically and financially. They’ve introduced me to so much extra help that I didn’t know existed or was eligible for.

Original review: April 11, 2019

For the most part I am satisfied with my health plan. The payments they have made are fair with the exception of my copay for physical therapy. $40 per session is too much. Prescription part of my plan is good and there is no copay this year for my PCP. They offer OTC allowances from their catalog 4 X year, reduced or zero dollar mail order prescription copays and free membership in the SilverSneakers fitness program.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Humana has included very good insurance support for myself during this past year. They also have included few & higher options compared with other insurance companies. But negative activities unfortunately being included for myself, was not including enough of medical Drs within my area while including Neurology. I am also emphasizing that few telephone representatives were unfortunately overseas or speaking improperly within our English language, that also hurts me a lot.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

So I got this insurance about 28 days ago. I did careful research. In the last 28 days I have gotten a 200.00 pair of glasses. Got my teeth cleaned. Went to my an eyeglass script. All at no cost to me. I also talked to customer service and got a great person to take care of one issue. Not sure about why there are so many 1 stars? So are trivial, though. And as a general rule people only complain on many sites like this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had Humana for my Medicare part D program and couldn't be happier. Now, keep in mind I am only on one drug. But their automated phone service calls me regularly and reorders my monthly medicine with a few clicks... DONE. I am very happy with them, although they raised their price this year. But after looking at other plans, I think I will pay a few dollars more and keep Humana... don't want to invite hassle! Hope this helps you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

If you like not having your meds or running out a lot sign up. This company is the worst run pharmacy I have ever seen in my life. Giant scam and it and Humana need to be shut down yesterday. You can spend hours on the phone and get nowhere and on and on. No one knows what is going on and dont care.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

August 2019: The cost for ** 90 day supply is $3,060.11. Humana does not cover this. The generic version ** is $2,013.57 for a 90 day supply. Humana does not cover that. My digestive health doctor submitted paperwork to include these drugs and my pharmacy DENIED! My doctor also asked Humana to make a drug tier exception. DENIED! Humana offers gym membership and rides to the doctor's office but not life saving medication. I can’t make sense of this.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

This insurance is a joke. After 2 hospitals in 2 weeks, now in rehab still can’t get a response from them. Said I don’t have power of attorney. I’ve sent 3 into them. My husband is not able to handle his medical needs. Will not ever use this insurance again!!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I work in the Health care industry and I have seen this Company evolve into such a horrific, mind blowing, money hungry company it is beyond me. Instead of worrying about the patient's needs or the patient's wants. They will go behind the patient's back and tell the MD office or care team providing services for said patient and tell them they can not see the patient anymore. That they have had enough visits and if they see the patient anymore, then the patient will incur the bill. Then when we tell the patient I am sorry but your insurance will not allow us to see you anymore and they call Humana. Humana will tell them 'Oh no we never said that, we have tried to reach out to them but haven't been able to, that's why we don't have any authorizations for you.'

I can not tell you how many patients this has happened to and I will send them the communication between our facility and Humana so they can see that in fact we have been in contact and they are denying services because they said the patient has had enough and can do it on their own. Since when it is the Insurance job to tell a patient they can figure out their health care needs on their own. COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY A HORRIBLE COMPANY. DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I recently had surgery at an in network hospital and everything was done by in network medical professionals. I have gotten bills from radiology and a specialist who are all in network. I hope more bills aren't coming my way. I got a statement yesterday from Humana and it shows practically every service has been marked denied. Out of over $33,000 in charges, only $847 was approved. Really? Their customer "service" is just as bad. I have had this insurance for only 3 months and it is by far the worst situation I have seen yet.

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information