Humana Health Insurance
1.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 108 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Humana Health Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 20, 2018

942 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

This company is still the biggest ripoff company I know. Now they not only made my secondary insurance my primary but when I went in for my yearly medicare checkup they refused the payment for the lab work. I pay them over $2000 a year for my primary and they aren't honorable enough to live up to their contract. When contacted by pissed customer for more information I replied and they haven't contacted me back. My US Senator called and I informed him of the ripoff and they are looking into ways to curb this company for failures to honor their contract. And you are holding my review because it didn't meet your guidelines? What good are you? It is a shame that there has to be one star or more for this company!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Advocating for my elderly parents, I have had the unfortunate experience of calling Humana many, many times. You can guarantee being on the phone for a minimum of 30 minutes and often an hour. Then when you get transferred you have to get your elderly parents on the phone AGAIN with every person you talk to and have them verify their name, date of birth and zip code AND give permission to speak with me. (Even though the first person documented it in the system).

My father has dementia and is hard of hearing. He never speaks on the phone because he cannot understand... EXCEPT with Humana. Customer service does not try and help. They say they can't find things in the system; even though, someone else found it there. Every time you get transferred you have to go through the story again and again. We are still trying to get services paid for since September 2017. Finally filed a grievance and appeal. Haven't heard anything. They also dropped my mother's insurance without warning or notice.

Went to get medications and found out that her insurance expired December 2017. She is an insulin dependent diabetic and has high blood pressure. She can't go without medication. It has to do with us asking to have medication sent to a different address, in a different state. They assumed it was permanent and didn't bother to ask, but dropped the insurance. They left my dad's active. Makes no sense. Everyone you speak to says "sorry I can't help." Spoke to 3 supervisors. one finally listened and is trying to resolve. This took over 3 hours on the phone.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

These people are like badgers, we signed up for their service and the calls started. I politely explained that I my husband was disabled and I was the only working adult in my family and asked that they stop the telemarketing to me, especially during business hours. I am perfectly capable of calling if I have questions or reading any product info they want to mail or email. I was less polite the second, third, fourth and fifth time. They are incredibly disrespectful of my time and as a customer, I expect better. If they have some sort of "announcement" to make, they will not stop calling you until you talk to them. I have gotten 3 and 4 phone calls in a single day. It really unfortunate, they do a great job as an insurance company, but a horrible job as marketers. Very frustrated.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I have been paying premiums for over a year. The first I tried to use my coverage, Humana denied my prescription... REFUSED TO HONOR ANY CO-PAY WHATSOEVER! All my phone calls resulted in only delays and excuses for non-payment of a standard and popular medication for high blood pressure. Humana is guilty of very deceitful marketing. Their telephone agents are all Hindus who barely speak English. Find another healthcare coverage provider! Any you find and use will be more reputable than Humana!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Asked for explanation of benefits from 2011-2013 to help my brother prove that he didn't owe any money to Humana and in fact probably overpaid Humana after chemo and radiation for cancer. This request was made on 11/28/17 and we were told to expect to receive the info in two weeks. Finally received packet on 1/5/18 and the printouts are 100 pages of medical code and not at all readable. Just spent 25 minutes on phone with customer service and they still have not sorted out the issue. Now want to email each EOB and I can't imagine how many emails that will translate to. This is just one of many issues with this company - I could go on and on about the "Diabetes Care Team" that don't know anything about diabetes, etc.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Humana sends you a phone book of coverage information prior to renewal but most customers do not understand what’s happening to their coverage. I talked to a representative in December regarding my over the counter pharmacy benefits and there was no mention that Humana was removing this benefit for my plan upon renewal. This company is purely profit focused and treats its customers poorly. They raise your premiums every year while reducing your benefits. You can not trust Humana. I will change to a more reputable company as soon as possible. Caution if considering this sleazy organization.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Humana agent said the transition to Humana would be seamless, big ** lie. I can't get a referral to see my pain specialist, I need those shots on my back and neck. I can't afford to pay the full cost and pay rent. They said I would be able to get a referral and see my pain specialist, big ** lie. Humana has the same business model as most other ins. Co. Collect premiums, deny claims. What a sad way to do business, they always got another way to screw us. How can their employees stand to work for these dishonest **.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I am not getting any new prescription, I call Humana pharmacy. With my Humana case manager we were both on call about my prescription, I have not gotten any prescription since June. We were on phone for two hours. It looks like problem was resolved, no it wasn’t, still out of high blood pressure pill. I am a diabetic. No pills. No arthritis medication, high cholesterol. Well I take 20 different meds but have not gotten any, I guess I need to die before I can get some action.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I would not go with insurance Company. My Son has an emergency appendectomy on 10/9/2017. Their customer service is horrible. I am still trying to get answers it is now 12/27/2017. There is nowhere in the United States to go have a face to face conversation to get this straightened out. That is just crazy. There are multiple issues and they can’t answer one of them and correct their problems. I guess I am left at getting a lawyer. I am looking into see if I can file a grievance before doing that. This is just a junk catastrophic insurance. MY ADVICE DON’T GO WITH HUMANA.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I paid by check for both my wife and I. The premiums were the same and the amount of the checks were the same but she owes them money for past due premiums but I do not. So far I've been on the phone with them for over an hour and can not get an explanation. It's too late to change providers but I'll be changing next year.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Humana has the programs this elder citizen needs at low premium. An appeal honored my complaint re. an eye exam. BUT to follow the broken system they require of entering ID numbers in my cell phone to verify who I am never works. Then I have to go through the long list of directory options and maybe with the second and third try I get to talk to a LIVE person. WITH so much hassle and time I decided to change health insurance. I ended up talking to a health insurance broker. Yes, this was the best plan for me and yes she could change and be my agent as mine did not respond. So with me watching, this broker sends out the agent switch. I think everything is done.

THEN I need help and call the broker, I thought was my new agent. I find from her, Humana would not allow the change. So now it is past the deadline of switching HMO. IF this broker had bothered to notify me I would have time to change HMO. I don't have the new agent I thought that would help and I have to go through Humana's broken or whatever it is system to verify who I am. NOT a big health thing to deal with. Many of us have been forced to deal with much more from providers or HMOs. BUT America should do better. Don't you think? Humana and that broker needs to clean up their acts.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Employer changed to Humana Health Insurance in December but the underwriters are behind so they wont give us a group #. WE had met our deductible but now can't get anything done without a member number and group number. Had cataract surgery scheduled and had to cancel, had colonoscopy scheduled and had to cancel. WE are paying for insurance we can't use and the many times we have called, they just say the underwriters are behind so haven't got us set up in the system yet. So it's going to cost me a lot of money in January when I need to get these things and it's kind of convenient that I can't get a group # until then or fill my prescriptions. My husband tried calling and just got hung up on 3 times because he didn't have a group #. This should be illegal. It's not our fault they are behind but we are suffering for it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Signing up and getting the ball rolling with picking a dentist and getting member identification numbers took hours and days! And even when they said over the phone that everything was in good order and ready for me to use I still had to stop part way through my dentist visit to call HUMANA again to backtrack and get an assignment letter faxed to the dentist. And then on top of that the Friday prior to my visit someone in the new client services dept quoted me incorrect out of pocket expenses that aren't covered by Humana only to get there and find out the bill was more than what I at that time didn't have in my bank account. 2 days prior If I had known the correct amount of money to have set aside I would have had the dental work done. Now I have to reschedule a future appt 17 days later. Even the receptionist at the dentist office commented several times about how unprofessional Humana is with their members.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Humana Medicare Advantage plans are worthless and so is Humana. This crooked company and their reps will lie at the drop of a hat! They try their very best to shortchange a person on paying claims. They are literally in bed with the medical providers and do their best to make sure every claim is paid to benefit the provider and maximize the patient's co-pay. When the patient files an appeal, Humana tries to twist things around and make it a complaint. If they happen to recognize it as a complaint, they take forever to address it and then lie, lie, lie. Beware of them as they are evil and only concerned with profits!

If you file a complaint with health and human services in Washington they really get mad and literally get even! Absolutely would not recommend anyone of Medicare age sign up with them. If you do, you will be sorry! They are literally little more than professional con artists. The federal government should shut them down for their crookedness but won't because of the big money involved. Health and human services just lets them walk all over senior citizens. What a pathetic company that is long on hot air and short on performance!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Over the past year Humana has started a new ploy to recover from their losses on the Affordable Healthcare Act. (Just my opinion, not a proven fact). Whenever we (as a healthcare provider) have provided certain modalities such as Cold Laser treatments for the reduction of inflammation and to facilitate healing of an injury Humana paid the claim then later sent a letter demanding that we refund the payment for that service stating that "the documentation does not support the necessity of that treatment". Despite positive results from the care provided we refunded the payment then have had to spend multiple hours re-documenting using the terminology they required in order to TRY to recover the payment for those services. Once we corrected the documentation for that issue Humana has now begun requesting that we refund for the Electrical Stimulation we provided stating that we failed to indicate where we placed the "probe"!

First, there is NO probe used for electrical stimulation, there are pads! Second, we DO document which body part was treated using the electrical stimulation. They apparently either don't read the entire note we send or want specifics such as which muscle or nerve was stimulated (as if they would know the difference). And as we have several Humana patients this mandated refund adds up to quite a lot of money back to Humana. This is either an effort on the part of Humana to recover from their PROFIT losses over the past 2 years (for the sake of their stockholders NOT the patients paying the premiums) or it is an effort to force healthcare providers to drop Humana patients to reduce their liability (and losses). Since we are one of 3 clinics in our area this would dramatically affect the people living in this area with Humana coverage but I don't think Humana really cares as long as they keep receiving their premiums.

While Humana markets themselves as a "Medicare Replacement" they obviously do NOT follow Medicare payment practices! We have NEVER been denied by Medicare for Cold Laser or Electrical Stimulation, especially on the technicalities claimed by Humana! I would recommend to EVERY Humana recipient that if you have the option to go back to Medicare you take it to avoid problems later. Ultimately the patient is responsible for the services they receive and therefore could legally be billed for these services that Humana is denying or has requested refunds after initially paying.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I am 68 years old and have social security Medicare parts A and B and my supplement is and was on the following date Humana Gold Plus (HMO). On 11/29/2016 I had a minor cold, called my doctor for an appointment, he was on vacation, so I went to the walk-in-clinic, same clinic that my doctor is in. I was treated by a physician’s assistant. My co-pay should have been $10 but I was billed $40. I called Unity Points billing dept. They filed a dispute. I thought it was because I was treated by a PA. I was told by my doctor’s office that they coded it wrong, so I thought it was because I was seen by a PA, and not by my doctor who is a DO. Then last month 11/2017 I received another bill for $40. Same PA's name, same 2016 date. So I again called Unity Points billing dept and was told that Humana declined the dispute claiming the coding was correct.

So I called Humana and they informed me that they now treat a walk-in as an emergency, just like if I had went to the ER, so they billed me the ER charge of $40. After talking to a very rude Humana CSR, I told him that I was going to change to United Health Care. He said 'ok I'll transfer you to our cancellation dept'. He was so rude. I couldn't believe it. So I called United Health Care and presented the same scenario to their CSR. She explained that through their insurance if I had to go to the same walk-in clinic where my doctor practices that it would have been treated as a regular office call and the co pay would be $10. But if I went to another walk-in clinic, not the one my doctor practices at, it would be treated as an emergency walk-in and the code would be $40 for an ER charge. So I enrolled with United Health Care Medicare Complete.

I looked through Humana's 2016 and 2017 Medicare Advantage book and NOWHERE does it say walk-in would be treated as an ER visit. As a matter-of-fact it says just the opposite, it says a walk-in clinic is their preferred choice for minor illnesses. I have told all my family and friends about this Humana scam and I will be posting on social network sites so everyone knows how bad Humana INS coverage really is!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

DO NOT GET HUMANA! Humana insurance is such a horrible coverage! They will not pay for the claims the offices send, so you will end up paying everything just like you would without insurance! Horrible! I had to have deep cleaning at a Dentist, and they did not pay the office for the Deep cleaning because they want my roots to show for them to cover the procedure. They are waiting for me to lose my teeth to cover it? Thanks a lot! Now I am paying everything out of pocket!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Do NOT ever consider signing up for this insurance, medical OR dental! They take your premiums, happily, every month, but give you next to NOTHING in return! When the going gets rough for them, in states where they are failing to turn an obscene profit, they simply let you know they are no longer going to be operating in those states anymore. They have pulled this BS TWICE, in my state! Also, their website is a joke. The logon computer is almost always down. It will cue you to select a new password and then not recognize it or your correct security question answers a few seconds later. Total frustration for big premium bucks! PASS THIS OUTFIT BY, if you're smart!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This company sent their agent Josh to my parent's house in Mountain View today. He was explaining the rates to my parents and I said that some of these rates were crazy compared to what we had seen on the internet with other companies. This guy got mad, slammed his laptop shut and acted like a fool. My mom said that she wanted to see some of their plans and he refused to show them to her because he was pissed.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

They collect huge premiums from their clients and then deny almost every claim submitted even when the clients follow their rules and stay within the network. They are more concerned with their shareholders than their patients. No wonder their stock price is so high. The patients pay to boost the stock!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Put on hold for extended times such as 4 hours and 42 minutes and other long hold times as I so desperately need the meds. I was seeking information pertaining to why they'd made me need a prior authorization, yet my doc had filed his part within 5 minutes of receiving the P.A. request and my pharmacy even told me it was common that my insurance, Humana jacked folks around like this... Humana was supposed to have the P.A. finished within 24-48 hours, however it's been 96+ hours now, and guess what, I'm back on hold cause they still can't find it, so I'm having to answer very personal questions and jump thru hoops I don't want to have to jump thru but yet I can die without this med, especially since I have chronic pancreatitis.

I have never been so angry and disappointed with a company. It's feeling like they are purposely making it hard. They are rude, they have the worst telephone manner also bad reception, double checked to see if them or my phone, it's them, plus they all have such heavy thick accents none can hardly understand the things being said. Bottom line I wouldn't recommend that anyone deal with Humana ever.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

While trying to fight an infection Humana has decided I really don't need to refill the prescription even while the infection persists. They have denied me refills, my doctor has assured them I need the medicine but Humana doesn't think my licensed U.S. Medical Doctor knows what he is talking about. This is malpractice.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Humana is a fairly good insurance company, but if you purchase dental insurance, be certain prior that dentists actually accept it even when their ads claim they do. It's a real pain when you want to cease extra policies because they REFUSE to take your word over the phone. You HAVE to put it in a letter. It's **!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I myself have humana. I won't even give them the courtesy of using a capital H in the name of their so called INSURANCE COMPANY. See, I have been in this field for 34 years and I have also taught medical billing, coding and insurance for 14. LOL on me right? No, in 2001 I proceeded to study even more just because I seen so much of this ugly stuff. So I tested to become a Medicare compliance officer. Yep, that's right. Now I have that too. At one point I even went to school (only for a few weeks) just to get my broker's insurance license for property and casualty, I just did that for work that my husband had. But I even learned more about insurance, they all really work the same way.

You just have to know how to read what the words mean, that they use when they are giving you those wonderful benefits. That's my problem, I did. But right know, they not only took more then some away, they and our wonderful government took (Obama Care) took a lot from all of us. See, when that nice man, yes he was a nice man but, when he said, EVERYONE WILL HAVE INSURANCE IN AMERICA. I am on Social Security disability and I have been for 23 years. I don't care who knows it. I never wanted to have to do that. All the work I have done, I had to have a lot of education and time and hard work to get there. I really wanted that for my life. I can't do it anymore. But I still try, I even have to do it at least 16 hr. a week, maybe not that but something, I have to get some kind of income to help me with my Dr. co-pay, meds, and all the rest.

With all the education and work I did just to have that career I was not going to give up my career for anything. I never have. Yes, there have even been a few years that I have not been able to do anything at all, not even volunteer at my church when I wanted to. I moved from my home just to be near my only child in another state. I became very ill, my child ask me. "Mom, will you please just sell your house and move back home?" I just said, "Yes, you know I want to do that anyway." My child loves me that much, my child was that concerned about me, my child and their spouse both had to work every day and they were so worried about me being alone in my house every day. I had been put in a nursing home there once already. They told her there was nothing she could do about it.

I told her, "It's okay, just go home. I'm fine, I'm not going to stay here. I will be home in a few days. Just don't give anyone any of my information. Don't let anyone sell my house." I was home in 4 days. See I am the LUCKY ONE all of the rest of the people that EVERY INSURANCE COMPANY IS TRICKING AT ENROLLMENT TIME that is VERY SAD for all of us. I too have my hands full with humana. See I have this program called: Medicare Extra Help? I never asked for it. Hey if you have this you better LOOK AT YOUR EVIDENCE OF COVERAGE, because it is going to let you know how much your deductible is going to be for 2018 part D prescription drug cost/not humana deductible??? Okay okay, okay and when you get your smart summary every month from humana about your wonderful RX benefit for that month. If you do get Medicare Extra Help make sure you look at the last space where it tells you how much they paid.

Now this is why I am telling you this. humana owes me a lot of money. I mean I lot. I never ask for Medicare Extra Help. See Social Security, once a year their computer does a scan and it picks up people's income. When it picks up low income then it detects why it is low. Now Extra Help comes from 4 sources, I know that anyone can look that up. But from what I have read on there today, I think that a lot of people may have humana the same reason I do. I bought humana as a SECONDARY INSURANCE PLAN because I was alone and I had Medicare A and I was smart enough to take part B when it was offered to me 23 years ago at $129.00 a month. I did not need part B at that time because I was married and my husband had a good job with insurance but, I might need part B later and if I did I knew they may not let me have it or they may make me pay so much for it I could not afford it.

So I paid for it for 23 years before I even had to depend on it. But see right now everyone is going to think, "Hey is she stupid, we all paid for it." Yes we did, so did I, I know you did and I am still working. Some of you I am sure you still have to do the same thing I do. That is the problem, we are the ones that paid to have that security in our life when we need it the most, AND THESE PLACES LIKE HUMANA THEY KEEP TAKING IT AWAY FROM US WITH THEIR BEAUTIFUL MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PLAN. See even they try to give it a pretty name. Don't worry I am going to tell you about that Medicare Extra Help, but only the one I get, remember I told you there is 4 programs I did not ask for mine, but I have it. Now read this. I pay for every month from my social security check. Medicare Part D. Medicare Part C. Medicare Part B. HUMANA? EXTRA HELP FROM MEDICARE.

WOW, see I only ask for Medicare part B and my Humana Choice PPO, because it already had my dental, script, vision basic needs everything I wanted. Why did anyone change it. MOST OF ALL WITHOUT EVEN ME SIGNING ANYTHING. And here is the worst part that extra help that I am paying for, I am still paying the full part of my cost for my scripts, NOBODY, CAN TELL ME WHERE THAT MONEY IS BEING PAID TO. Nobody, not Humana, not Social Security, not Medicare, not Health and Human Services in Washington DC and even more so why in the hell would I even return a call to our so called state's Rep Gov. Donnelly whose stupid people keep calling me and asking if I would just hear what he would like to do for us about our health care.

Lol, lol, lol, our government is the last people on earth that could help us right now. They are all too busy fighting with each other. What a joke. I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings but the worst thing anyone could do right now is keep jumping up and falling into other insurance companies' plans to take you under. Everyone just needs to keep reading what ever Blue Cross actions are right now. Blue Cross is the first medical insurance we ever had.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have never written a review, but this deserves one! It’s Sunday afternoon, just watching television, a Humana commercial is on boasting about how wonderful they are. My 91 year old grandmother is now in a long term nursing home, she has Alzheimer’s, and is down to about 85 pounds, she has been there about a year or so now and being well cared for, no thanks to Humana. About two years ago my grandmother almost died, she came down with pneumonia, had heart failure, was very confused, and diagnosed with Dementia at the hospital that we immediately took her to.

The social worker recommended rehab, Humana refused to pay for it because she could stand up, and maybe take a few steps. This is actually why she was denied coverage! Never mind that she was weak, having difficulty breathing, and extremely confused. Never mind that she paid her premiums on time for years, up until she got dementia. They would not work with me so that I could make payment because I did not have power of attorney, and so her insurance was eventually canceled due to nonpayment. Do not choose Humana, they will not be there for you or your loved one when you need them the most!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I am yet to encounter a worse runaround from insurance companies. I work at a provider's office and deal with multiple carriers daily. Policies are changed without notice and despite having a prior authorization, it's a gamble whether your claims will be paid. If they are, months down the road a letter is sent requesting a recoup. When you attempt to file an appeal-- you have to leave a message for a rep; wait days for them to call back and after sending all the paperwork/arguing your case your appeal is still denied. If you have a question regarding contracting-- good luck. The reps will give you co-pay amounts when you didn't even provide them with a user id. PLEASE train your staff. PLEASE route people/providers to what department they actually need! Such a shame this is your healthcare standard today.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Humana has been making harassing phone calls to my 86 year old mother who is not a plan member nor has she ever been. They have called several times claiming to be Medicare, in aggressive attempts to intimidate her into agreeing to sign up. During one call when my mother was about to hang up the phone, it was handed to a supervisor who was more aggressive. My mother never solicited their business, yet they had all her personal information, using it to confuse her into believing they were Medicare. She called Medicare, concerned with the false claims they made to her regarding her Medicare coverage, and Medicare told her THEY DO NOT CALL PEOPLE. They knew immediately it was HUMANA.

This harassment of my mother cannot be an isolated incident. How many seniors has this company swindled? Where is consumer protection? I have the name and phone number of the supervisor claiming to be from Medicare - From what I understand Humana gets seniors to agree to sign an agreement with them, then they charge them a monthly membership fee and take over their Medicare account — pilfering funds. This is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen, Illegal in so many ways, but their victims are the elderly who often don’t understand what has happened. Humana is not a legitimate company, they are grifters and they need to be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have paid more in premiums than they are willing to pay for my prescriptions. Anything that costs more than 10 dollars, they either take a week or more to approve or won't cover at all. This company is nothing more than a scam. And remember, once you choose this as a part D coverage, you are stuck with it for a year. This horrible company was recommended by an insurance agent, clearly I will not use him again either. I have a chronic illness and my prescriptions are costly, that is why I have insurance. They covered so little, I ended up buying most of my meds from Canada. So in addition to paying for my Canadian meds, I still had to pay my premiums to Humana, meet my deductible for my cheaper meds and wait long periods of time just to find out they wouldn't pay for my more expensive drugs. DON'T CHOOSE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Currently dealing with the NIGHTMARE that is Humana's Managed Medicare plan for my Daddy. He had a stroke. His doctor will only release him to InPatient rehab as he is a fall risk. Humana refuses to approve any InPatient Rehab. Claims unnecessary since Daddy can stand; nevermind he cannot walk, needs a guide belt, a walker and two physical therapists to even attempt a shuffle.

He gets a maximum of 20 minutes of therapy at the hospital he is in. He needs aggressive physical therapy if he is to walk again. But HUMANA, does not care. Refused. Repeatedly. We are told. This is a similar story, I have found, to numerous other people. Please... If you love your parents, do not let a salesman con them into getting HUMANA insurance. It is horrible and will not pay for the care that is needed.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Humana canceled my husband's policy for nonpayment in error when they had a working cc number! We appealed. They denied the appeal because we failed to send in paperwork they hadn't asked for. I made a fuss. They asked for more paperwork. We sent it in. They denied the appeal on the grounds of something that had nothing to with what we were claiming. We spoke to customer service reps who promised to call back and didn't. I'm pretty determined but this went on for months. They wore us down and we will just switch companies during open enrollment. There is no doubt in my mind that this was done deliberately just to avoid re-instating the policy.

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information

Humana
www.humana.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use