Find a Health Insurance partner

Humana Health Insurance

Humana Health Insurance

3.9/5 (1773 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Humana Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Humana Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I have been extremely pleased with my insurance. Unfortunately since I have had it, I had to have two shoulder replacements, stay in rehab (for surgeries) and physical therapy. In addition I had a fall and had to go to the ER for concussion tests. I would be in insurmountable debt if I would not have had this excellent insurance.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Since I've been on the "Gold Indemnity" plan, with Humana, for the past 3 years, I am happy to say the following. Humana has fulfilled my needs. They have been very communicable and they are a good company to look into for seniors. Having a supplemental health provider is important. This company has shown to abreast in current affairs and events in the world, world, caters to their members, for getting you the coverage needed, for the expensive cost and fees, of medicines and expensive doctor and hospital visits.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

This company has some coverage or perks I wouldn't expect to have such as I have been able to use like food allotment, transportation, when the drivers don't stand you up, over the counter medicine allotment to order from their pharmacy, but you will have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery, but these are good perks. There is also mail order pharmacy, but I don't like their mail order pharmacy, because they try to change the medication sometimes the doctor orders to another type if the one the doctor orders is more expensive. They don't always stay current with medications/doctor's orders or in touch with doctors.

They have trouble getting some medications or filling some prescriptions and it takes a while in fact several phone calls to make these corrections and sometimes to get your medicine takes up to 3 weeks or longer if they mess up. Also depending on which Humana program you have and if you have a secondary insurance in some cases you can get your medication free which is nice but I don't feel it outweighs the problems with their pharmacy.

Also they have dental, hearing, and eye coverage, but the dental, hearing and eye have a low amount you can spend, but because I am on a Medicare HMO some things you or your doctor has to fight with to get qualified for to do certain procedures even simple ones. For instance I have to take a shot every month and sometimes this is a fight because I have to have a nurse or doctor give me the shot, very simple issue that they don't like to cover, and of course some prices seem to go up every year especially medicine and for others I talked to co-payments and prices for coverage go up while some of these perks have been eliminated or have gone down.

At one time way before the pandemic they had a program where a case manager, I can't remember if these were actual nurses, they made house calls for wellness checks every week or two weeks. They eliminated this program and as a single senior I really appreciated this check up in person etc.. Now this is done by phone and mail and is so impersonable and annoying because they ask you the same thing all the time. When you had a case manager that visited you in person, they got to know you and learned your weak and strong areas and didn't have to always ask you some of the same questions. Some even took my vital signs at one time.

Once a year they try to send a doctor to your home but they do nothing for you, but write down your medicine etc.. I find this to be a waste of my time, my belief is they do this to see how long they are going to allow you to have insurance or at what price, etc...Some more unwelcomed things is they are trying to now incorporate psychological treatment only by phone.

In some cases this helps to be able to reach out to someone and should be used as an option available, but not to try to convert those that are in regular mental health care to convert to the phone only, because sometimes you don't know if someone needs help if you have not been able to check out their behavior or actions and I find this to be so wrong to limit mental health to only a phone call, but I do feel it should be an available option especially during times of crisis or like now when some people are shut in and it could also help seniors that don't get out anymore. Also another unwelcomed thing is they call for every little thing usually too early in the morning including when they do auto calls which they do a lot. They do not have an option to stop certain calls they do and leave others to continue that you want to receive, so in other words if you opt out you opt out of all calls.

Original review: March 12, 2021

My wife and I have Humana Humanachoice PPO. A wellness nurse came to our home and examined us and then tested us for any blockages in our upper body as well as our lower body. My wife passed everything with flying colors, however I had 99% blockage in my left leg and 93% blockage in my right leg. I immediately got my Cardiologist on the phone and then went to see him and one week later I had my left leg done and then three weeks later the right leg. No more swelling in my legs and I can walk with NO pain in my legs. Thank you Humana for caring enough about my wife and my health.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I was helped quite a bit by Humana when my wife was sick and was on dialysis, as the cost would have put us in the poor house. It is a great safety net to prevent a family when medical bills start to mount up. You should review it every year to see that the coverage that you have is the best for you.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

First claim was denied as saying dentist didn’t accept Medicare. When questioned they said, "Sorry you pay out of network rate." After work was done they denied payment again and I had to pay full charge.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

The insurance companies are necessities, not luxuries, but the red tape is really overwhelming. I've had this insurance for several years. This year, 2021, I decided to use, but not before contacting the company for a list of 'In-Network' providers. After receiving and downloading, I called the nearest facility 'Perfect Smiles' and made an appt. When I arrived for my appt, the receptionist requested my DL & insurance card. Had exam, cleaning & (fluoride treatment), that the insurance doesn't cover, 'maintenance', Correct? Fast forward, I received a statement 'EOB', two (2) weeks after office visit from Humana informing me that the office I went to is 'out--of-network' and I am responsible for the office visit. Mind you, I paid for the 'fluoride' treatment out of my pocket; $25.

I immediately called Humana Customer Service for someone to explain this 'EOB'. The rep tried to explain the EOB. I listened in frustration & when she finished speaking, I explained to her that there's no way I would go to an out-of-network provider & that I called their office before making an appt to get a list of in-network providers. I proceeded to give her the name of the rep who sent me the list & suggested she get the $$'s from her; $240 to be exact. I just can't understand how & why insurance companies send Seasoned (Senior) citizens through sooo much drama, just because some seniors are not aware of their actual benefits.

And, some seniors get frustrated because they don't want any excess drama & have always paid their Bills. There should be a law against trying to take advantage and/or scamming & scheming against us seniors. What they should realize is that one can not live a good life when trying to take advantage of others. Hopefully this survey doesn't fall on deaf ears. Thank you for listening.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

8-19-2021 I called Humana because they denied a dental claim which is covered in my plan. After a year of waiting, they still have not processed the claim. I called Humana and was on the phone for 4 hours with customer support. After giving them my account number. They could not find my account and they could not locate me by name or social security number. They placed me on hold for long periods of time and they transferred my calls twice to a so called claim department. When I was transferred, I was hung up on twice, had to call back, go through the automated system over and over again and I was transferred multiple times over the 4 hours and still have NOT resolved my problem with submitting the claim that they are suppose to pay and denied. It’s no wonder they denied the claim if they cannot find a paying customer over several years. Stay away from Humana. It’s a scam to collect your money and deny claims.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Good insurance if you have good teeth. If you have dental problems, need to get a crown on or an implant, they pay 0. I had to pay $9000.00 out of pocket for an implant and crown. Humana covers 0 for a crown over an implant. Ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

If you have 100s of extra $s for prescription meds like quality insulin then get this Humana insurance. I get some generic pills for free but usually 4 bucks at Walmart when I am on 5 pills and have to go to the county for insulin and diabetic pills to survive. SAD!!!

Humana author review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information