Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Humana Health Insurance
1.83/5

Humana Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1165 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

Humana offers so much more than just medical coverage. They have so many different ways of offering at no cost preventive activities and other help lines. I have been with Humana for years. They have went out of their way to suggest and assist me in getting extra help medically and financially. They’ve introduced me to so much extra help that I didn’t know existed or was eligible for.

Original review: April 11, 2019

For the most part I am satisfied with my health plan. The payments they have made are fair with the exception of my copay for physical therapy. $40 per session is too much. Prescription part of my plan is good and there is no copay this year for my PCP. They offer OTC allowances from their catalog 4 X year, reduced or zero dollar mail order prescription copays and free membership in the SilverSneakers fitness program.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Humana has included very good insurance support for myself during this past year. They also have included few & higher options compared with other insurance companies. But negative activities unfortunately being included for myself, was not including enough of medical Drs within my area while including Neurology. I am also emphasizing that few telephone representatives were unfortunately overseas or speaking improperly within our English language, that also hurts me a lot.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

So I got this insurance about 28 days ago. I did careful research. In the last 28 days I have gotten a 200.00 pair of glasses. Got my teeth cleaned. Went to my an eyeglass script. All at no cost to me. I also talked to customer service and got a great person to take care of one issue. Not sure about why there are so many 1 stars? So are trivial, though. And as a general rule people only complain on many sites like this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had Humana for my Medicare part D program and couldn't be happier. Now, keep in mind I am only on one drug. But their automated phone service calls me regularly and reorders my monthly medicine with a few clicks... DONE. I am very happy with them, although they raised their price this year. But after looking at other plans, I think I will pay a few dollars more and keep Humana... don't want to invite hassle! Hope this helps you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have been pleased with what Humana covers pertaining to my hip surgery and rehab!! I feel so confident with the PT and OT therapy I have received since released to skilled facility before I go home that I will be safe and learned the do's and don'ts after surgery to continue to heal and move safely after surgery.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I had a Neurostimulator put in 3 years ago and it stop working. They scheduled me for a removal of the device and Humana would not approve it. Now I am stuck with a non working device and no way of getting it out. I would caution people about trying to have any kind of procedure done. It takes months for Humana to approve anything. This is the worst company anyone can get.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have had Humana Dental several months now, paying close to $60 per month for my coverage. During this time I have never received any proof of coverage or any form of an Insurance ID. I also phoned around asking different Dentists if they accept this insurance. Even Dentists Humana says are in the Network. Well I was told over and over the coverage is useless. So I ended up cancelling my policy. Why should I pay for insurance that covers nothing and is useless. So several months I have wasted my money. Humana customer service agents barely spoke English. And talk about rude. The agents are horrible. Humana is an Insurance Company I sure as heck don't trust. I'm glad to be rid of them!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

Last week I had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. The doctor prescribed liquid ** for pain control. Humana denied the liquid saying they allowed tablet form. Humana apparently does not understand bariatric patients cannot take pills following surgery. I had to crush it to take it.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My wife has been diagnosed with cancer. She had appointments through two different doctors (oncologist and radiology oncologist) for chemo and radiation which must be run concurrently. First Humana would not authorize one of the chemo meds, which cause us to delay treatment several days. Then Humana refused to authorize two radiation treatments a day. This caused another week of delay in treatment. Both authorization were finally authorized. BUT the patient should never suffer through this bureaucracy especially when faced with cancer where every minute is precious when treatment is concerned!

Original review: May 30, 2019

Humana Pharmacy has absolutely the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE ever. The agents can NEVER answer my questions or give/provide a direct answer. I have called numerous times about the same issue - sometimes being on the phone/hold/transferred around for as long as 1 hour and 6 minutes, only to have the problem reoccur every month. My doctor has called and filed paperwork to have the problem resolved, but after over a YEAR NOW, it is not resolved. As soon as I can, I am dumping Humana. I have overpaid thousands of dollars because of their incompetency, mistakes and utter lack of organization. Today, for the 12th time, I have been on hold FORTY MINUTES TODAY AGAIN WITH NO RESOLUTION. There are much better choices out there for prescription drug coverage.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I made a total of 4 calls, talked to 7 people and they think it's ** funny to play games and not just change my address. I'll never get my mail from them again because God forbid they just do their job. If you can avoid this company they are 100% useless.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I had to pay out over a thousand dollars for my son's oral surgery back in December of 2018. I have personally faxed (2/7/19) and certified mailed (2/12/19) the claim with ALL x-rays and op notes. Imagine that we are halfway through May of 2019 and it still isn't processed. I have called and discussed this as follows: 1/23/19 spoke to Nicole (processing), 2/15/19 Mckalaya and Kyle (processing), 2/25/19 Nicole/supervisor (processing), 3/8/19 Ann called me said she was sending it up to Corey to process in 5-10 days. 3/15/19 Regina (processing), 3/22/19 Faith and Melissa supervisor (processing), 4/15/19 Jacob and Crista supervisor (processing), 4/22/19 Mia and Jay ** (processing), 5/6/19 Ben (processing) sending for rush, 5/17/19 Stephanie and Melisa supervisor Still processing and sent to Rush. I worked at insurance and paid claims and this is the most pathetic claims processing I have ever seen.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Have enjoyed my various experiences. For example when my wife was in the hospital (dying) they were right there. Having a nurse come around every so often. They were always pleasant and thorough. Never had any troubles with prescriptions.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Two hours on the phone being transferred dozen times...I need a drug not on the formulary. The drug on the formulary will kill me, the one I need will help me.. They ultimately hang up on me several times.. The first person Shanice was rude, arrogant, condescending and hung up on me.. People at Humana are like government employees.. They do not care.. I had my doctor here to prescribe the meds.. They hung up on him.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Avoid Humana if you possibly can. My providers hate it. My dentist was on hold for 2 hours with Humana today and finally had to give up when it was office closing time. I had to wait a month for a pre-approval even though I said I was having quite a bit of pain. Their OTC is a joke, providing $35 a month and really skimpy choices in the OTC pharmacy, through which you have to order online. One other review that I saw said providers groaned when they heard they would have to deal with Humana. I actually saw that happen today. Save yourself some stress and go elsewhere.

Original review: May 10, 2019

If you are healthy and young, Humana may be good for you but EVERY healthcare professional we have encountered (and that's A LOT) moans when they discover my parents have Humana. If you don't need rehab, you might be ok, however parents have been denied extended rehab even when doctors and therapists recommend more. CHOOSE ANOTHER COMPANY!!!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Acute Bronchitis. Prescribed **. Needed pre-approval and was denied. Emergency room visit. Prescribed **. Need pre-approval. Went to my Primary care doctor. Explained why and what. Took 1.5 hours and 3 hang ups before Humana provided all the info necessary. Denial letter received 19 hours later. Humana had no intention of approving. Meanwhile I was coughing until I vomited or passed out. Borrowed money from my grocery fund to pay for it. With coupon from GoodRx I paid less than $12 for a nearly $50 medication. I have been warned by 2 pharmacies that Humana doesn't like to do pre-approval meds. Too bad zero stars isn't an option.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Had this insurance for over 2 years through Marketplace. I was going to a specialist and insurance paid their portion. Fast forward a year and they refused to pay for my specialist that year so I argued with them. They kept on changing their excuse for not paying. I finally had to pay the whole bill. Last year this insurance was no longer available in my state. About 3 months later my Dr sent me a bill from 2 years ago (insurance and I paid our share). Come to find out 1 1/2 years later they decided not to pay this and took their payment back. No notifications to me nothing.

When I called them once again they gave several excuses, 1st he was out of network (he wasn't), then it was no referral (I proved that wrong too), then I went over how many visits on the referral (proved that wrong too). They then said they would push this through to be paid and call me back within 2 weeks. Well that didn't happen and when I call now they either put me on hold and never pick back up or tell me I have gone past the 180 days to resolve this issue.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Just stay away from this company. They conveniently forget to to tell you what is in network, and out of network. Consequently, I got charged 100.00 for my psychotherapy. Medicare alone, copay is less than 25.00 for this service. Stay away from this company.. One

Original review: May 4, 2019

When I call Humana pharmacy customer service, I go through the chain of 5 answers only to find out their pharmacy is closed and to call back during regular business hours. The problem is they never tell you in their recorded message what their regular business hours are!! What kind of customer service is that?

Original review: May 2, 2019

I tried to find an in network dentist, from list on Humana website. When I called dentist offices said they no longer accepted Humana or advised me that Humana covered basically nothing! Called Humana membership # 4 times. Got only recorded voices asking same questions over and over. Finally thought I was being transferred to a real person, but phone went dead, nobody answered. Website lists services covered but this is just for advertising, must submit claim, then they'll tell you if you're covered. Then it's too late, you're on the hook for the bill!

Original review: April 30, 2019

This insurance has been a nightmare from the start. Referrals mean nothing as authorizations are also needed with referrals. Insurance Company seems never to get the requests that the doctors assure me they sent. Customer service is horrific. Getting to see a specialist and getting tests done is not going to happen with this company. Best they're going to tell you is sure they're working on it. Will let you know that never happens. Just found out that the colonoscopy I was scheduled for has not been authorized. Nobody was going to let me know. I am glad I called before I went through the horrific prep that you have to do before a colonoscopy. Do not buy this insurance for yourself as you will be sadly disappointed.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I signed up for Medicare Drug Plan D with Humana in 2015. They set up payment for the plan via my credit card and input a wrong expiration date in their system for my credit card. Their system stopped charging my card for payments even though the card HAD NOT EXPIRED. Consequently Humana terminated my policy for non payment and now they refuse to re-instate even though all payments were paid as soon as I discovered their error (paid with the exact card they said was expired). The customer service staff, enrollment staff and sales department staff were ALL VERY RUDE and blamed me for THEIR error.

Truth is I was never notified of the lapse in payment because Humana never updated their records when I moved in spite of the fact I notified them of my new address - whoever took my address change did not save it in the system. They sent a written notice to my old address which I never received but no one from Humana ever bothered to call me or email me. I discovered the problem when trying to fill a prescription and called Humana, I was passed from person to person to person for 2 hours never resolving anything. I was disconnected 2 times.

These people are ignorant, treat customers VERY poorly and overcharge for their services. Rates went up 32% in one year. Because I am on Medicare I cannot enroll in another drug plan until open enrollment 6 months from now. There is no reason whatsoever that Humana cannot re-instate my policy. If I have a medical need I am without a drug plan which will cause extreme financial difficulty. DO NOT CHOOSE HUMANA! YOU WILL BE VERY SORRY IF YOU DO!!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I was with Humana twice and it was a nightmare. I could not get a referral and I was sick with cancer. When I finally got a referral (over a year trying) I was sent to a wonderful Dr that had to biopsy me right away. When I went back to get the results of my biopsy, I did not have a referral? I refused to leave, and waited over an hour for Humana to allow my visit. It was grade 2 adenocarcinoma and I was sent to Moffitt Cancer Center. I had the worst experience after the surgery and got away from Humana for good. I should have sued them! I had many more horror stories about this awful excuse for health care, but it would take pages and pages. The best part? The bill! Outrageous amount! Now I see that I am signed up for Humana again, this will not be allowed on my part. I feel safer using my own choice.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Terrible customer service oriented department, I spend over 1 hour and 45 minutes between two phone calls with regards to a copay for a prescription with an extremely HIGH COPAY, finally I was told because my plan was RESTARTED only 2 months ago (have been insured for over 10 years with Humana Gold) I didn't have any right for a reduced/waive deductible. HUMANA IS THE ONLY COMPANY IN THE INDUSTRY THAT DOESN'T VALUE LOYALTY. "SHAME ON HUMANA."

Original review: April 27, 2019

Decent coverage but patient pay is a lot more than it used to be for seniors. Tests that you need as a senior such as lab work, certain X-rays are not covered under the current medicare plan offered by Humana. The billing departments border on harassment when requesting payments.

Original review: April 26, 2019

There's so many bad things... Where to start? First no one in Huntsville, Al. accepts this Ins. They won't pay. No one can understand you on their call line if you speak english. I spent 3 days just trying to get info. They or their phone service keeps hanging up on you after holding for 30 mins! Just look for any other Dental Ins... I don't know about the Medical.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I would not recommend this company to anyone. I have yet to get a return call from a manager who promised on 2 occasions to research and resolve the issues, which never happened. I spent HOURS on hold, tried to reach someone at corporate only to be treated rudely by the receptionist and not transferred to anyone. This is stems from an error on THEIR end, not mine, which is documented in the notes. However, if you do try to call their offshore customer service line, you get someone who only reads a script, can barely understand and doesn't help at all. THE WORST EXPERIENCE.

Original review: April 19, 2019

My sister Vickie suffered from a terrible fall last year. Unfortunately, she went into a coma and was on life support for two months. Tristar Medical Center in Nashville gave her great compassionate care. I wish I could say the same for Humana Insurance. Ironically, my sister sold insurance for many years and was a top producer. The hospital informed us that Humana had denied any help with long term care, stating, "That she will not improve." A few weeks later she awoke and Humana's response was again a "DENIAL" for any assistance. In my book, this is called FRAUD. Please warn others not to purchase any policies from this company. We will be filing a complaint with the state of Tennessee's Attorney Generals office. A caseworker with Tristar Hospital told me, "Your sister would have been better off if she wouldn't have purchased that policy, we see this from that company all the time."

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information