Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Humana Health Insurance

Humana Health Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Humana Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I cannot say enough good things about my experience with Monique when trying to get an expensive specialty drug that would have cost over $25,000 for a 2 month supply, which Humana ordinarily does not provide coverage for. Monique was able to obtain a letter from my Doctor’s office (Dr. Mark ** in Lincoln Nebraska) stating the necessity of that drug for my treatment and almost immediately contacted me to let me know I had been approved and that Humana was going to pay $10,000 per month towards the prescription. Kohll’ Pharmacy applied to the HealthWell Foundation for a grant on my behalf to help with the copayment and I was almost immediately approved. My out of pocket is $0. Thank you!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Humana offers so much more than just medical coverage. They have so many different ways of offering at no cost preventive activities and other help lines. I have been with Humana for years. They have went out of their way to suggest and assist me in getting extra help medically and financially. They’ve introduced me to so much extra help that I didn’t know existed or was eligible for.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

For the most part I am satisfied with my health plan. The payments they have made are fair with the exception of my copay for physical therapy. $40 per session is too much. Prescription part of my plan is good and there is no copay this year for my PCP. They offer OTC allowances from their catalog 4 X year, reduced or zero dollar mail order prescription copays and free membership in the SilverSneakers fitness program.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Humana has included very good insurance support for myself during this past year. They also have included few & higher options compared with other insurance companies. But negative activities unfortunately being included for myself, was not including enough of medical Drs within my area while including Neurology. I am also emphasizing that few telephone representatives were unfortunately overseas or speaking improperly within our English language, that also hurts me a lot.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Have a large brain aneurysm, so no prior authorization for surgery required. Able to get surgery within 7 days. They sent me 7 days of meals, called and checked on me on day 3. Paid the bill within 45 days. I was terrified over the whole issue of this type of surgery and costs, but their handling of it was A+. My costs were reasonable. Thank you Humana.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I signed online to renew my plan D Humana plan, because my last year plan was going to double in monthly cost. I changed to the Walmart plan for the cost of $13.20. When I received my card and payment book, I realized Humana put me in the wrong plan. The $50 a month plan. I called their customer service line and they explained they had software problems at the time I applied, give them 72 hours to correct. This was told to me over two months and I have the record by customer service agent name, date and time, where they saw the mistake made by Humana but they refuse to correct in my favor.

I applied a grievance online and by fax, which I sent my personal Humana cover page showed I was in the Walmart plan and they still would not except their mistake. (As of this morning, Humana has now changed my personal Humana cover page to reflect I’m in their Premier RX plan, which is over $50 per month). I took a screen shot of my personal cover page showing, I’m in the Walmart plan before they changed it. I will not row over, I will be taking this to a Medicare lawyer and the Nebraska insurance board. DO NOT APPLY WITH HUMANA, FOR ANY INSURANCE. IF/OR WHEN YOU NEED TO USE IT! THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO NOT COVER YOU?

George **

Elkhorn, Nebraska 68022

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I recently made a purchase through the OTC program for a locking med box. Which is supposed to look like this. What I got looked nothing like this it looked like a cheap to go box that you can get at any restaurant. If you have questions or even think that there may be a bait and switch call and ask them to send you a picture of it. I wasted 75.00 of my OTC money and when I asked that lady what I should do with them so I had to throw them away. Be careful...

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Have had the Humana Wal-Mart plan for several years at less than $20 monthly. Yesterday (Feb 5, 2020) I receive a notice in the mail (dated Dec 20, 2019) that my monthly payment was now $59.60. Called customer service, was told that the Wal-Mart plan I had in the past was no longer available and since I hadn't responded to letter I never received, I was changed (to their most expensive plan, quite conveniently for them of course). When I told her that the Wal-Mart plan is available in my area according to the Medicare website, she replied, "That's a new plan we just started, not the same plan number you had in past and since open enrollment is over it can't be changed until October".

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I was on the phone for 58 minutes ALSO 20 minutes earlier. Now I was calling for my wife who has cervical cancer and she switch to Humana from all well, might have been a mistake, 58 minutes on hold, explained situation to 4 or 5 phone transfers. Each time they made me wake up my WIFE 4 times to verify that I can talk to Humana about her insurance 4 times, no one wrote they talked to her and it was okay to talk to me. Then I talked to a supervisor, he was great except the people he transferred me to someone who didn't know what I was talking about I guess.

So now having this great insurance, I am heading to the pharmacy to pay cash out of my pocket to get a refill. I paid cash out of pocket last month, so I guess her insurance payments pay for the tv commercials payroll, NOTHING for the person who pays the HIGH INSURANCE! There is a way they could HAVE FIXED MY PROBLEM, BUT they MAKE IT so YOU GIVE UP and PAY OUT OF POCKET. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I'm a new subscriber using Humana. I spent hours calling local dentists and medical offices to see who would take humana. I ended up calling the Humana central office. I was given today (3 Feb 20) an updated list of providers for dental and medical care.

1. All the dental providers in the list are located in an area over 40 miles driving distance from me.

2. Same as above. Furthermore, the only medical (PCP) located in my area is booked until 10 March 20 (more than a month from today's date).

What is the sensible thing to do in my case?:

a. Take a whole day of work for a dental cleaning and another to have a routine medical appointment? What about sick visits?

b. Drop Humana and get another health insurance carrier that have more providers accessible to larger population?

If you are in the process of selecting an insurance, please look somewhere else. You will be grateful for this comment when you need Health care.

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information