Humana Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Humana has a new tier pricing. They now charge $8.00 for EACH medicine for a 90 day copay. The subsequent expense is exorbitant. Yearly premium of about $22./ mo. plus for 90 day deliveries would be $32 per year plus the 22x12 or $264. $264 plus $32 or $296 for 1 year for 1 drug!!! This is unfair business practices. Just imagine if you had 6 drugs!! Needless to say I have filed a complaint with Humana. I did not complete my order.

The purpose for this review is to vent my disappointment in how Humana handles their customers. I suppose I should rephrase "customer" for the true customer is the State of North Carolina and I'm a fly speck on a dung heap. More and more doctors are getting frustrated with the insurance system so they are requiring the patient pay and get reimbursed from their insurance company - which is an impossible task. My story begins when I gathered three months of billing and took it up to a Humana Office. They filled out the necessary paperwork and sent to the required address.

I waited for two months before receiving notice that they couldn't process the claim because there was an error in the treatment code. A call to the doctor's office reassured me they would correct the problem with Humana. I received an email stating they worked it out with Humana and I would receive reimbursement at the end of the following month. It had been 90 days since I first submitted my claim and when the next Humana statement came they rejected payment because of lack of precise treatment code, which prompted another call to the doctor's office and assurances they would straighten it out.

A few days later I received an email from the doctor's office stating they talked to a Humana claims representative and she assured them the problem was solved and I would receive the money the following month - which turned out to be another rejection due to code issues - four months had gone by. December brought another rejection letter stating Medicare reviewed the claim and rejected it as an unwarranted procedure and I could write a rebuttal within 30 days. Within the week I wrote the reasons they should honor the claim and sent it off. January 9th 2017 I received a response from Humana stating my claim will not be honored because I did not respond to their first rejection within the policy's 60 day time period. It took them 60 days to reject my first claim and they dragged it out for four consecutive months before I received the rejection letter in December.

This is why we have the worst healthcare system among developed countries and our healthcare cost more. Insurance companies are for profit and the best way of making money is not paying claims. Think about it. They hold all the cards. Our system is so complicated the insurance company can find any number or reasons to refuse a claim and if get by the first reason they come up with another one until you finally give up - they win. This is why doctors are now requiring the patient pay and then the patient can file the claim - which is great for insurance companies. The patient, who knows nothing of how the game is played is monkey in the middle. There is a 99% chance the patient will never get paid.

North Carolina switched from Humana to United Healthcare, which is just as poorly rated as Humana or worst. So why doesn't NC find a better provider? Because the bad ones charge less and that is all that matters. So what is the answer for those who are retired? Since most of us lost most of our nest egg in the great recession and SS pays so little since they figure cost of living by leaving out the 6% increase every year in the cost of healthcare, which makes sense because the elderly have more health issues so let them find a way to afford it. Some months I have to decide between who I'm not going to pay so I can afford my Parkinson's medication. Why doesn't our representatives in congress address this growing issue - because they have the best healthcare taxpayer's money can buy so what do they care. They care more about Medicare going broke so let's cut some of the benefits.

I called on behalf of my family member who is hard of hearing. The phone rep not only was she really rude but she could care less of what he had to say. She clearly did not care about him or his concerns. I tried to explain to her what was going on and his questions due to he is hard of hearing. Just plain rude and very inconsiderate of his feelings. If this is how they treat people with disabilities!!! WOW. A bunch of lies and promises that they can't keep!!! Buyer beware!!

On January 3, 2017 Humana insurance deducted a major increase from my checking account without authorization. The increase is in excess of 50% of the agreed cost which was set up through the marketplace. I plan to check my contractual agreement with Humana to see if I have any recourse for such shabby business practices.

I purchased dental insurance that went into effect 1 Jan. Approved dentist won't let me make an appointment for January because Humana failed to update the insured listing for January. When you try to contact Humana, you have to do it over email and can't talk to a human being. In summary, Humana received premiums for months that I'm not allowed to see a provider. Humana provides NOTHING.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

We received a letter of "congratulation" dated September 22nd. We received a notice of cancelation on Christmas Eve. This company is despicable and should shut down. Now I have to pick a new plan at more than twice my current policy and my medical expenses won't go to my next plan's something deductible. If they can cancel on you like this, then this is not insurance at all, but wealth redistribution instead.

These people at Humana are the foot dragging, bunch of liars and scam artists in the insurance industry. They take your premiums then give you nothing in return, fight you tooth and nail for referrals, and any DME requests are trashed. If it is out of network, and they can't get it in their network they will authorize an out of network purchase. When the supplier calls for authorization Humana tells them that "The purchase is not authorized", even though Humana provides you the approval to get the DME, and provide an authorization number then refuse to provide the supplier with the authorization to move forward, wait 2 more weeks after waiting 4 months for a Representative at Humana to tell you again that the supplier is "OK" to dispense, then it goes back around in circles starting with supplier calls and is denied...

So months go by and Humana is still foot dragging and making excuses why one person can't get the company to pay as the other person at Humana doesn't understand, and the next person sends you back to the start over, "what is it you need? How may I help you?" This will take weeks please hold (30 Min's again) OK send the information again, go back to the PCP he she needs to send the Tax ID, But! We have it already, we won't tell you this because we at Humana are "scum bags" ripping people off. What a hoax Humana is, as it is a "For Profit" bunch of "Scam Artists" this insurance company needs not to be allowed to provide anything to anyone. I would like to see Humana run out of the insurance business or have them held to a higher authority.

No one cares what Humana does but they need that Premium payment every month, as you get nothing in return. Humana Executives need to be also held responsible for employees hampering medical care. I have a viable prescription by a licensed Medical Practitioner for a DME product and all other requested information provided to Humana as requested and Humana a US Insurance Company still won't pay even when Humana provide Authorization. Humana denies the supplier when they call. Sorriest Insurance Company in the world.

For the past year I have had my doctors try and prescribe me ** or ** in the case of possible Narcolepsy. Each time your company had denied the prescriptions for lack of proof. I then have a doctor that orders a blood test for the genetic marker to see if I have this issue going on, which I do. Your company then DENIES coverage after the test is done in order for your needed proof. Leaving me with a bill from LapCorp for $475.00. To sum this up, your company requires this proof in order to get this prescription covered, yet you will not cover the test needed to hand over this proof.

It seems you know how to set up a scam for your customers and leave them high and dry. After speaking to one of your representatives I am told that I need to write a letter of appeal, then your company has 60 days to accept this appeal or not. While in the meantime I cannot get any tests done through LapCorp because of this outrageous bill looming over me. This impacts my well being in such a negative way, which is the opposite of what your company is supposed to do. This is unacceptable and completely unethical.

I was told today from your representative that your company does not do any type of genetic testing. How I am supposed to be aware that a simple blood test is not covered, which is absolutely needed in order to give you the proof your company asks for? I have had so many issues with your company. On multiple occasions your representatives have given me incorrect information, and at times I have had to pay for THEIR mistakes.

I have been given different answers for one issue at multiple times. Three times to count. And this isn't even for the issue related above. What is the point of even having to pay your company for coverage when I end up paying for things out of my own pocket while paying an outrageous monthly payment? I am sure this will be deleted, but I will be posting this warning across every media outlet available. People should know what they are getting themselves into when it is in regards to your company.

Have a dental policy which states it pays 100% in and out of network for 2 cleanings. However they have only paid 34.00 to date and have denied 168.00 still outstanding. Humana customer service says yes they see it and agree but state they cannot pay or make good. I must write a Letter Appeals PO box and state in detail the issue. God forbid this was a big dollar issue. Customer service does nothing. They cannot. The Appeals team does not accept emails or phone calls... If you buy HUMANA INSURANCE GOOD LUCK...THEY ARE USELESS.

I should have known I was facing a complete failure of a situation when a non-doctor Humana pharmacy authorization dept. rep REFUSED to cover my prescription meds for uncontrolled, intractable colitis - which I had just come from a doctor's [LNP] exam *for*. Instead of allowing my prescriptions (which were definitely on Humana's formulary & have long been prescribed for exact diagnoses) my symptoms and to be filled, the rep told the pharmacist to tell me to "take over the counter **". 90% of all subsequent RXs, from the SAME MEDICAL OFC, encountered some ridiculous runaround, refusal, and/or excuse on Humana's part.

Approximately 3-4 yrs ago, I stopped paying my monthly Humana premiums because I simply could not do so any longer (limited SSDI is sole income & I had NO other income source). Because I also cannot afford Medicare's annual and per-service deductibles (plus, sooo many doctors will no longer even TAKE Medicare, much less from a new patient), I have gone 100% without ANY medical care since the [supposed] disenrollment date; I am medically disabled including due to several chronic, continual medical problems, including high blood pressure and heart symptoms.

YET HUMANA HAS APPARENTLY CONTINUED TO BE PAID FEDERAL TAX DOLLARS FOR A *FORMER MEMBER* of Humana's (DIS)ADVANTAGE Plan - and Medicare premiums keep coming out of my benefits every month... for ins. I can't afford to use and which thousands of physicians no longer accept as "health insurance". To this day, despite no less than three written letters from Humana later, and over time through to the present, THEY INFORMED ME I WOULD BE "DISENROLLED". Each letter stated I would be covered by "Original Medicare" only, upon and after the DISENROLLMENT DATE.

Yet, they, YEARS AFTER DISENROLLING ME, continue billing me monthly for monthly premiums for insurance I haven't had or been covered by in appx. 3 yrs. Of course, the monthly payment demand letters also include an unpaid balance ostensibly up to the supposed date I was told I would be disenrolled from [i.e. dropped/no ins/no Humana coverage]. They do appear, however, to continue accepting the federal Medicare compensation based on me NOT being disenrolled.

I have lost count of the number of phone calls, pieces of correspondence, etc., over these years -- to have the matter audited, the actual past due balance calculated, etc. I LIVE IN A "ONE PARTY" STATE - thus, legally can and do and digitally record every telephone conversation possible. I have made detailed notes during these phone convos, including the never-ending transfers, calls which were disconnected on their end and so on. No one I get to speak with has any idea why I am still (they claim) shown as a participating Humans insured, or why the situation is the mess that it is.

I have gotten to the point that I have to point out TO THEM that *I* do not work for them, that 'keeping their books and records' is not *MY* job, and that if I were well enough to work I would not have ever been insured by them to begin with! THEY need to keep track of what letters they send out and when, why, AND SHOULD NOT BE DEFRAUDING THE FEDERAL GOVT/MEDICARE for someone they "DISENROLLED" YEARS AGO. The extra stress this situation worsens my medical condition and disabilities. THEY ARE ALSO REPORTING THE FRAUDULENTLY ASSESSED UNPAID PREMIUMS TO MY CREDIT HISTORY.

I am doing what I can to pull together all my notes, the applicable correspondence, and the numerous digitally recorded telephone conversations with Humana about the situation. THEN it will be time to make a comprehensive and documented fraud report to Medicare Fraud Division, all other applicable federal agencies, as well as explore what recourse I may have against them for blatant, intentional, continual and ongoing violations of the applicable Federal Consumer Protection and Fair Reporting statutes and Acts. PLEASE, PLEASE DO **NOT** anywhere Humana for any insurance need of any kind!

I came down with severe neck pain, dizziness, and nausea. I tried to get in to see my Primary Care doctor, but the soonest appointment was 11 days out so he instructed to me to go the Urgent Care to receive treatment. I had someone drive me because there was no way I could drive, but that ended up being a waste of time. When I got there, they asked for my ID and Humana insurance card. As soon as they saw that I had HMO insurance they said that they no longer accept HMO insurance and refused treatment and turned me away. I contacted Humana and they said that I was covered for the use of Urgent Care. I checked online for other Urgent Care Providers and 2 popped up as being covered under my policy. I called and found out that they no longer accept Humana HMO plans either. I also checked Humana's new enrollment HMO plans and they also show the Urgent Care Centers as being covered in the HMO plans.

So anyone new signing up will also find out the hard way that they will NOT receive that benefit that they are paying for. THIS IS CLEARLY MEDICAL BENEFIT INSURANCE FRAUD!!! I'm sure that there will be nothing done to correct it either! Corporate America is becoming more exempt from following any laws and more exempt from any forms of prosecutions, penalties, and fines. They dictate to you on which doctors you have to use, they perform surgeries on you and send you home the same day even if you aren't well enough to be discharged, and now they sell benefit plans that are total fraud. I was also looking into changing my insurance, but the enrollment period has ended, so I'm stuck with this fraud insurance for another year!!!

I'm writing for my significant other. After selecting HUMANA ICP as one-among-many poor choices for Medicaid "integrated care" in Illinois, we experienced nothing but glitz and sizzle and little in the way of actual medical assistance. My SO is home-bound and requires home-visiting medical services; we've found that Humana is totally incapable of adhering to its own customer manual regarding providing needed services if they are unavailable within their network. The client manual specifically states (was on page 27 of their LTSS booklet, IIRC) there would be no problem rendering services out-of-network when needed. Did they provide effective, if not immediate, medical services? Did they perform due-diligence to ascertain whether subcontractors were properly credentialed and trained to provide the services they billed for? Did we receive adequate healthcare services? No, no, and no.

Do they have a vast pool of medical resources (doctors, specialists et al) capable of providing the care LTSS patients require, especially for the home-bound. No. Is there anything in their client manuals that is fact-based? I doubt it. The past year-plus has been nothing but a frustrating, aggravating emotional nightmare for both of us. Not only did we have to endure three multi-hour conference calls with who-knows-who at Humana Corporate, but endless calls with the "case manager" (unhelpful, unsupportive, hasn't a clue) to attempt to obtain even -minimal- care, amounting to monthly 10-minute visits by an NP to write scripts. Great, but much more was needed.

Several hospitalizations later (due, we feel, to inadequate in-home care) Humana is dropping my SO's participation!! Our next step, if at all possible, is legal action, preferably (another) class-action suit, while we pay, or attempt to pay, out-of-pocket to retain what limited services she now has. HUMANA (an incredible misnomer) cares not for its subscribers but values the income derived from their membership, as do their stockholders.

They appear to have a very non-lean business architecture devoted to meeting regulatory requirements, denial of claims, and massive advertising, i.e. corporate momentum dedicated to self-preservation, not real, effective healthcare, regardless of any glowing reports by so-called healthcare quality-assurance agencies. I applaud the government's efforts to block mergers which would do nothing but increase healthcare companies' monopoly and recommend we all contact our legislators as we say in Chicago, early and often, until they have no recourse but to act.

I just read several unfavorable reviews on Humana and would like to submit a favorable view of Humana. I signed on to this plan 11-2015 after my husband retired and I had to get my own insurance. I have used this coverage many times, medical, prescriptions, hospital. I am very pleased with the coverage. I have had all items covered as they said they would be, I like the no monthly premium offered in my area, I am able to use all my same doctors. All in all this is great coverage for my needs. I do agree with the folks who say calling in is quite the trial. The CSRs are very willing and able to help but one cannot understand them and I can't figure out if it's my phone or their phone system.

This is by far the worst insurance I've had my entire life. The job I was currently employed with did not offer a company wide insurance. It was supplemental. So I decided to get my own insurance through the Market Place for better coverage. Humana offered coverage for health, dental, and vision. Not all together, but it was at a fair price so I signed up. I'm not one to go to the doctor often, just for check ups and annuals. Yet to my surprise all my initial doctors were out of network. Well who has the time to find a doctor in network when you have been seeing these for several years. S/N I just read that the doctors that were in network still charged you out of pocket.

So my doctors stated that they would work with me and the insurance company to get the best possible coverage so that I would not have to pay an exhorted amount out of pocket. Well needless to say I did. Humana paid nearly to nothing for dental and health. They only managed to cover my birth control and that only cost $20 out of pocket. It was a total rip off. I called and found out why my premium payment was so high and yet I have a bill twice the amount and it should've been covered. I am furious with this company. Just bad customer service and insurance coverage. I will definitely be appealing this payment. I will be damned if I have to pay $149.21 when my premium payment (which I just paid on the 10th of December) is $145.32. Just outrageous. Why the heck am I paying you if you're not even going to cover my bill.

I am single, no dependents, and no health issues. Yet I am paying over $100 a month for insurance that did not cover diddly. They sure as heck were slow about sending out the claims but were not so slow in sending out how much I owed them. Just unbelievable. Next time if I have to shop for health care insurance through the market place I will read reviews first and then sign up. All in all it's just best to go with Blue Cross and Blue Shied if you can. Runner up is United Health Care. Humana sucks and I hope they go out of business soon, because ripping honest, hard earning American citizens is a crime. If it was my choice I wouldn't give you a star not even a half a star.

Yes , I'll be the first to admit that I did get behind on my premium, when hard times hit, but when I called the agent assured me that with catch up payments, all would be resloved. So we all know where I'm going with this, that nothing was resolved! Instead the catch up money's being applied to both policy, only applied to one, and the one that has never had a claim filed against. Now as any normal person would I called to inquiry about my cancellation, only to be told that checks of refunds had been sent and all moneys paid were only applied to one account.

I would also like to add that after being employed for over thirty years, the process was very new me, so of course I wasn't told or taught to ask about an waiting period, of procedures needed, so of course none of my works was covered done by dentist, because I'm use to benefits of automatically being in effect. AGAIN FIRST LAY OFF IN MY LIFE IN THIRTY YEARS. ALWAYS HAD COVERAGE. Needless to say all else had a domino effect, with me as the loser.

I do not have this insurance and certainly will never have it or promote it. I work in healthcare as a rehab therapist in a skilled nursing facility. Patients with Humana are MORE THAN ANY OTHER INSURANCE denied treatment or cut from treatment (3-10 days) no matter how mild or severe their condition. This minimizes the chances of recovery including someone going home, being independent, walking, speaking, swallowing again! And so much more! Humana docs will call us every other day to pressure discharge or discourage us from recommending treatment. They also often stall or ignore requests for treatment.

For the last 4 or 5 years they have been calling me trying to get in touch with a Paulette **. I have no idea who that is and have reached out via phone and social media numerous times to get them to lost my phone number. They always say they'll take care of it and nothing changes. I have been getting these calls at least once a week for like 4 years. This is ridiculous.

I paid premiums that were deducted from my paycheck for 15 years to Humana. Now that I have filed a claim every month it is either a reduced disability amount or a delayed disability check because of whatever reason they can come up with. I am a member of the Teamsters Union. They along with the Insurance commissioner and whoever else I can think of will be getting calls about Humana. Humana I wonder how many of your customers are Teamsters!!!

Humana raised my rate due to health place error, they say. I used the insurance one time and they DID not pay. Spent hours on phone. Once they hung up on me. When are we going to get people who are honest. They say I DID not give them a tax return. So why in the hell DID they give me coverage in first place. The whole place is crooked.

I signed up for Humana January 2016. The whole time I had them, I had nothing but problems with having to talk to foreigners who barely spoke English to try to fix problems when these people didn't understand a word I said. Then I moved in September to a new area. I called customer service right away to see if I'd be covered in this area and was told I would be at least 10 times. I kept getting calls about verifying my address, again by foreigners who couldn't understand me, or me them. I was assured I still had coverage, though. Every call took over an hour.

Then, out of the blue, someone calls who can amazingly enough speak English. She said my policy was cancelled November 30 because I was "out of the service area." She was just "so sorry" that now I wouldn't be able to get my respiratory medicines. I need to breathe. Everyone I talked to at Humana was "so sorry," like that did any good. I'm signed up with a different insurance company starting Jan 2017, thank goodness. I wouldn't advise anyone to go with Humana. It must be set up in Nigeria because no one, except one person, speak English there.

My wife has claims that dates back to October of 2015 that Humana has incorrectly been processed and therefore denied. I have spent time on the phone, on her behalf, 3 hours just today to get some explanation. I was transferred about 5 to 7 times between department. Always starting of with the "history" and then the agent starts looking into it and later states that I'm in the wrong department. I get transferred and yet again tell the story to come to find out that I'm in the wrong department.

This has now gone on for over a year and nobody at Humana takes responsibility what so ever. The last agent I was switched to was suppose to call me back since the line was poor, most likely because being transferred around. BUT A CALL BACK WAS NEVER MADE. Where can I get help? I have had to pay for the unpaid bills to avoid being sent to collection. What is my next action? Humana seem to have a policy of not communicating with their Customers, nor via email or phone. So how do you reach the agent or department who handles the claims, there are several, and yet I make my monthly payments on time since 2014...

The past 3 months I have gone on to Humana website I have tried (I don't know how many times) to find a chiropractor in the area. The information they have on doctors - wrong phone numbers, wrong addresses. I have contacted them several times and complained about the situation choose and they have not changed anything or add any new chiropractors or doctors on their list. How are we supposed to take care of ourselves if they don't accommodate us with the right information or more options as far as doctors are concerned. Doctors on there I would have to travel 10 miles 12 miles to get to one. And because of my illness I cannot Drive far.

Beware of Humana Advantage Plan. This plan was terrible. I had to pay large amounts over what I would have to pay with just Medicare and a Supplement plan. They advertised how good they were with preventative care and that I would get long appointments with my PCP, but when I went, I found out I was booked for a 5 minute appointment, and then the doctor was still too rushed to hardly talk to me. I left with more questions than I came with. I don't blame the doctors, they don't get paid by the insurance companies anymore, so I know they are not keeping their offices open and many are leaving. These plans are just plain false advertising. It should be illegal!

If you go online to look at their advantage plans please be aware that when you click on "choose your providers" that the list probably IS NOT accurate. The HMO plan I chose listed providers I want but one call to the medical office told me the truth. The only plan they have contracted with is the highest priced PPO plan where I can use the doctors I want. Even if you call Humana, which is a nightmare in itself, they will tell you you can use that Dr. with the HMO plan. It happened to me.

In the past I filed a complaint with Medicare but little good that does. This company needs to spend less money advertising and more on programming. Why should we have to call every possible provider to ask if in fact they do accept our chosen plan. If, in fact, your provider does accept your plan then ok, just double check prescription costs.

I'm 23 years old, recently graduated from college and wanted something affordable until I found a full time job. When given the monthly rates I immediately jumped on Humana. I thought it was a dream come true! But this past year has been a nightmare. Humana sends you to B-rated facilities, when you call you are never able to get your problem solved, and most importantly THEY DO NOT DO PROPER PAPERWORK. I sat on the phone for 5 hours to resolve an issue as to where I was billed $500 for an operational procedure when all the ENT did was shine a light inside of my nose. I've had to appeal many of my bills which take months to do.

I got the dental insurance as well which was just as horrible. I was given a primary dentist only to be told that I would have to pay out of pocket for my visit because that was not my zoned dentist when this was who I was emailed to go to. I filed an appeal for hits as well which took months to resolve. This incident happened in January and was literally just resolved 2 weeks ago. I still was not on their roster and it took 3 hours to talk to a representative to get that straightened out in order for me to even go to the dentist.

Everything about Humana is frustrating. Not to mention they're going up on their rates for 2017. Although the prices are affordable, it seriously is not worth the time especially if you regularly visit the doctor like I do. Just pay for better quality. I've even called to complain about my experience. Nobody cares. I wish I had someone tell me not to use them so I thought I'd do the same. I'm switching to another insurance for the New Year. Wish me luck.

Sad my complaint will get buried along with the other HUNDREDS that will never be seen in time to save people from making the same mistakes we did. I wrote a review last yr and now writing again at enrollment time. Lost my retirement insurance due to health care law changes. Was using reg. policy until after I began Medicare and changed my ins. to just a supplement. Humana offers the Medicare Advantage which I thought was a suppl. like I had before, and many companies like AARP & Blue Cross offer.

What Humana does NOT make clear is that the ADVANTAGE plans are NOT an advantage to customers or medical care providers -- ONLY to Humana -- and surprisingly MEDICARE. Humana PAYS Medicare a fee to take over our healthcare. They BECOME the PRIMARY and a "PRIVATE INSURANCE". You CANNOT have a co-insurance - even your spouse's policy or Medicare. I still paid Medicare premiums for the right to KEEP it BUT could not USE Medicare for ANYTHING.

Humana held my Medicare hostage and I had to pay an ENORMOUS ransom and yet got NOTHING in return except a little lower Humana premium -- which is not so low when it is added TO the Medicare mo. prem. for a plan I could not use. Humana said that I could go to ANY doctor or facility that accepts Medicare. WELL you can GO to that doc but Humana does not have network contracts that reduce fees (and some doctors have STOPPED accepting Humana and other plans that are HMO related).

Humana has HIGH copays - especially for Specialists I have been using for YEARS - and Humana pays LOW benefits -- MUCH lower than Medicare did. Humana can set fees AND deny coverage as THEY see fit. And appeals do not work -- even for a blood tests I was required to get once or twice a year! BOTTOM LINE - I ended up paying the ENTIRE cost for the denied claims and 60% or more of the bill for the ones they DID cover. That's in addition to Humana and Medicare premiums. This type of plan SHOULD be ILLEGAL -- it denies people access to the FEDERAL Medicare plan that we qualified for and PAID for and Humana ALSO manipulated coverage and costs. 2015 was a NIGHTMARE yr.

Humana SOURCES OUT all contacts (cheaper than employees!) so whoever you correspond with (especially by phone) is a third party who has NO knowledge of the plan except what they READ out of a manual or their "cheat sheets". They HARASSED me with calls - mostly SURVEYS (that even asked how long my wait was to get an appt. and how long of wait for the doc to actually SEE me or whether a doctor REFERRED me to a certain facility (including routine blood tests or radiology).

I must add that I AM happy with Humana's drug plan and am staying with it. The mail order pharmacy has cheaper meds (90 day supplies) AND carries the meds I use (which local or chain pharmacies do not). I DO now have a high (but comparable) deductible on my Rx plan -- which so far I have not even reached but availability, cost and convenience are worth it. The drug program IS a savings under the Advantage plan (with low or no deductibles or co-pays) but if you do not need many meds it is not worth it. You are paying many times more for all other medical services.

For the last 2 yrs. Humana has had personable and knowledgeable personnel and sufficient handling of my orders. I am back with Medicare as PRIMARY ins. and have a suppl./medigap plan with another co. - which covers what Medicare does not pay. All docs and facilities charge US only what Medicare allows. I do not KNOW about any other Medicare "All-In-one" type plan (which can be labeled as MEDICARE ADVANTAGE, MEDICARE COMPLETE, etc.) PLEASE thoroughly investigate the plans! Who knows what our insurance will be like in 2018 under a new president. I am betting it will be even WORSE - especially if we lose the pre-existing illness exception. Even a NEWBORN baby's problems could be considered PRE-EXISTING!

Poor prescription coverage. Two items I have needed Humana barely covers. ** my cost $598 use to be $25. ** My cost $833. Everyone I know pay between $5 and $15. I have been paying this company for over 7 yrs. Currently paying $577 a month.

This insurance company has failed me at every turn. From the customer service being atrocious and the fees being so high this is by far one of the worst companies I have seen. If anyone is debating on using this company I would stay far away. The customer service representatives usually do not have any answers you are looking for. The last call I made I was hung up on 5 times. Please do not make my same mistake. Go with any other company.

I got health care insurance October 1. Did it over the phone. She made it sound great. She said she would stop by and tell me all about it. Never did. I called her 2 wks ago and ask if I could cancel any time. She said yes. After looking at the plan it wasn't what I wanted so I called her back. She said I couldn't cancel until the first of the year. I got a new plan and now I'm stuck with 2 months of paying for. I don't think it's not a very good way to run a company. I was even thinking about putting it in the paper. Not very happy with Humana.

Please do not hire Humana for your Insurance needs. Save yourself hours and in my case a year of trouble. I purchased a Humana Medicare advantage Plan. I spent 1 year trying to just find a Dr that was covered. I must have made 1000 calls to Humana because the Doctors they list in their book for my area were 1, not taking new patients or were a long list of Doctors that are only at walk-in clinics. Now that's a year of my time and me paying them. Then 1 person decides to tell me they have a list of 1,500 Doctors in my area that they can email me. AFTER A YEAR OF CONSTANT CALLING THEM. Next... I am not the type to call every time have some minor issue. About a week ago I called them because I have a neck surgery coming up. I had a few questions so I called the 24 hour Nurse helpline. I asked my questions and was told they are not a Doctor (Um that might be why it's called a Nurse helpline).

He then says I need to talk to my care manager. I asked who that was. He checked and said mine no longer worked at Humana anymore. He then said he would send my information to the correct people and they would call me and set up a new Care Manager. A week later no response from Humana so I call. I get the runaround, I get transferred to 8 different people 1 who had no idea why I was talking to him because he didn't even have access to my account. I have now had enough. I'm in the timeframe to Disenroll. I will steer anyone away that ever asks anything about Humana. It is the worst health insurance on the planet if you ever have to contact them about anything. If this was a split scale of 10 I would give them a -5. PLEASE GO ELSEWHERE and save yourself a lot of time and trouble for horrible service.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.
  • Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.
  • HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Heads of families, senior citizens, employees