Humana Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I changed from Humana to Anthem on January first, 2016. Humana has continued billing me 71.10 dollars a month for prescription coverage which I have from Anthem. I have tried repeatedly to get this stopped to no avail. I have even gotten a new account number to stop fraudulent charges but Humana follows me. I have called them repeatedly over the last year and they pat me on the head and tell me everything will be fine-- it isn't. Today I called them 4 times before I was finally given someone who told me their stupid policy. The first three times I was told they were transferring me and they just hung up on me. I believe this is company policy to see if they can make you give up. For 16 months they have stolen 71.10 dollars a month from an old lady on SS. This is a company based in Kentucky, BEWARE!

It seems I can't cancel their stupid insurance without mailing them instructions which I did today. I was never told this before. I have been told that I couldn't cancel without proof that I had other insurance. I have asked Anthem to send me a letter stating the date I started and that I am still insured by them. I am going to go to war to get my money back. I would strongly advise that you never ever consider getting any policy from these Kentucky republicans. They do believe in getting your money for the billionaires. I would never have done any business with them if I had known they are a Kentucky corporation. I don't know the order number, I disposed of all that stuff when I was sure that Anthem was up and running. I have something called the PPD ID **. I hope this helps.

I have Humana Gold Plus with RX. I have gout bad at times and been on gout med as needed. Now they tell me that my meds for gout isn't covered under their plan, instead they want $628 for a 30 day supply. If I had personal or private insurance, I can get it for $15. What's wrong with this insurance company? I'm 71 and need these meds, but can't pay for them. Gout is very painful and these people don't care to help people but fill their pockets. What a shame, we seniors are being treated almost as bad as our veterans. Investigate before you buy or you'll have the same problem I'm having. Good luck.

I went to Humana for gap coverage between COBRA and Medicare, and now I will be poorer by $3,920 for an emergency room visit one month before my 65th birthday. Neither Piedmont hospital in Atlanta nor Humana deigned to let me know, though the salesperson was eager to sell me a policy, that Humana has no contract with the nearest hospital to me. No recourse now but to take Humana to court. It is fraudulent to solicit a customer without alerting him to significant holes he is likely to encounter in his coverage. Also, Piedmont was remiss to tell someone on a fixed income that he can afford to fork over 25% of his income to that hospital, because of Humana, is obscene. Both outfits make a mockery of Affordable Health Care, and so does the serpentine healthcare.gov. Come the revolution, bloodsuckers, guess what...

New CAPTCHA security blocks log-in for days. Humana web support says it's a known issue. Placed another "ticket" for correction. Not fixed. Have waited twenty-two days for official word on approval of out-patient PT for my wife post-knee replacement (VERY routine). Best we can get is informal word from Humana's outside contractor. Humana Customer Service, benefits, and "approvals" has no record of any PT being approved. Apparent breakdown between third-party contractor and Humana - several weeks duration and counting. Nice reps - very nice. Awful automated systems.

Please be careful. I have not work since January 2017, HUMANA refuses to pay out my premium. This has cause me to get behind with my bills. HUMANA keeps sending me letters saying they need papers and information that's been giving to them several times!!! Spoke to an agent today, told me they will be sending me a 28.00 check W.I.T.H again trying to avoid paying!!! AGAIN BE AWARE OF THIS COMPANY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

First off stage III heart failure. I received a letter from Humana asking me to change to their mail pharmacy. Three months of medication at a time. Great. Save me from waiting at other pharmacy. First order 7 out of 8 medications came. Then bam doctor did not sign off on prescription. Got that fixed and had it faxed to Humana. Everything looked fine until 7 days later and no meds. Spent 8 hours to find the doctor had sent in order that read 1 every 4 hours or as need. Humana thought it read funny so they stop the order. Called my doctor and you all know how doctors respond, call back at their leisure.

So anyway, called Humana and spent 8 hours to find out there really are no one in charge just a bunch of yes men who can do nothing. My advice is corporations don't care so let's respond the same way. Drop them like a rock post and talk to as many people as you can. Let the people change this. You can. Your voice is what we need. Tell everybody you see or know they will change or their corporation will die. Do it now.

My experience is Humana has pretty good coverage, but here's the part that is terrible - they will pepper me with annoying calls either from Humana Pharmacy or my general healthcare, but when I call them to ask a questions, I'll be put on hold for obscenely long waits. Today I waited over 50 minutes to get an answer about my dental coverage (3 different calls - I gave up twice).

I was put on meds for high BP and I have Spinal Stenosis so I'm taking **. I pay $104.00 per month out of my $570.00 I get on my SSI to see a Dr. I have yet to see one. I have seen only a NP. This yahoo from whatever country he came from almost killed me. I ran out of meds and so I called it in and they said it was at the usual Wal-Mart so I went to pick it up and they said it was not approved for them because it was in a delivery system (WHAT!). 7 to 10 days. I went to the Dr office and the manager there said she would fix it. She did not.

The next day I called Wal-Mart and they said the same thing as before. No insurance. So I spent three hours getting this straightened out. I was in so much pain I had to go to a neighbor to borrow a pill from him. He takes the same stuff. I had an appointment today so I went in and confronted this NP and he ran like a little girl. The office manager came in and told me I should get another care provider. If you ask me I never had one to begin with. If I were a person who had a heart problem and this happened, he would be dead. I pay to see a DR not a NP. I want my money back. That's like paying for a Mercedes and getting a Kia. I live in Las Vegas & this is not over. :(

I've paid for a prescription plan for many years, and always got my generic ** and thyroid med for no extra costs. In Jan 2017, I ordered a 90 day supply of **, at no cost. Then, when refill time arrived, I was told I had to pay $8. Why? Because they "reclassified the drug". I told them that I am paying over $200 a year for a prescription plan, and refuse to pay more. They said, "Sorry." That's it. It is not my concern that their CEO makes 10-20 million dollars a year, but don't suck more out of me and give him $8 more. When I tried to opt out, they said I can't. I despise them. Rip-off. The GOOD news is that they are leaving Georgia at the end of 2017, per news. If they don't leave, I will be leaving them.

Again "You don't need this." 75 year old man fell and tore up leg. X-ray revealed not broken but damaged. Prescription given for swelling. Took it to Walmart and was informed that Humana says "he doesn't need this". Did they see x-rays? No. Did they examine him? No. Did they read medical report? No... Just "He doesn't need this". I feel that Humana has no qualm about the elderly suffering.

I filed a fraud claim with Centers for Medicaid on behalf of my 85 year old mother and the Physical Therapy she never received. Humana was to investigate and answer the claim. It has been two years and I am still getting bills from the provider. Every time I call Humana I get a different person or State. In June 2016, Robert ** in the Kentucky office sent a letter saying my Mom's liability was only $206.71 (which I paid) of the $1100.00 billed and the claim was to be settled.

It is now March of 2017 and I am still receiving monthly statements for $718.00. When I spoke to Robert ** today, he mocked me, talked over the top of me, and laughed at me for thinking this is fraud even though he already indicated a year ago there was no liability. When I asked to talk to his supervisor, T.J. **, he again laughed at me. This is the most reprehensible and unprofessional behavior I have ever experienced in my entire life. My Mom just passed away a few weeks ago and this is how Humana is treating me.

I have called and talked with ten different people in Member services, HR, agent services, sales department, agent support, customer services and market support for Hillsborough County FL and I honestly can't remember who else trying to find my AGENT. YES, silly me I lost her number and address. But I thought someone somewhere in this maze they call Humana Health Insurance would be able to find the insurance agent that sold me my policy. Wow, was I wrong. It sure is a sad situation when they (Humana) don't know how to reach their own agents!!

I called to cancel my Humana plan in November 2016. I was told that all I had to do was not pay it. The representative said it would auto cancel. The person on the phone then asked if there was anything else they could help me with, I said no and hung up. It's now March of 2017. I'm still getting emails from Humana about my invoice, which is now apparently at 1300 something dollars. I contacted them again, to make sure my plan was canceled. They said IT'S NOT!! Apparently I owe all of this money, when I already tried to cancel my plan. I've had a different health insurance provider for months through my work. I'm livid, and I wish I would have recorded the original phone call. If that would even do anything..

I am currently enrolled with Humana's short term disability plan at my place of employment and I have been a member since 2011. Bi-weekly, premiums are being deducted from my payroll, as planned and as agreed upon per our contract. As of November 2, 2016, I had injured my left wrist requiring me to go on medical leave from work. As a registered nurse, my responsibility requires a lot of use of my hands, from chest compressions, spiking IV bags, heavy lifting, and the simple task of opening medicine packages to obtain a tablet and computer/typing skills. All of these tasks require the use of two hands and because of my injury, I was restricted from using my left hand.

I have followed all the steps necessary. I visited my primary physician who referred me to a hand specialist. I got the MRI done that was ordered and as a result, it is evident that there is a very high grade tear, near full thickness tear in the triangular fibrocartilage complex - as Dr. ** (hand specialist) has put it "the cartilage is hanging by a thread", which is supportive of all my symptoms - numbness to my left arm and pain to my left wrist. I have submitted my claim to Humana. All paperworks required have been filled out by myself, my primary physician, and by my place of employment, Dignity Health. Humana requires a copy of my job description, which was also submitted by Dignity Health HR.

By February 2017, my physician extended my medical leave due to the unresolved pain. Per Dr. **, the healing period for a torn cartilage will be approximately 6-8 months. This short term disability insurance from Humana is a supplemental insurance I decided to obtain back in 2011, in case of unexpected situation such as this. I wanted to be financially prepared for these unexpected times for myself and my family given that I am the sole provider. Now that I am in need of this coverage, Humana has me jumping through hoop after hoop. It has been so much of a hassle to collect what is rightfully mine.

I paid for this extra benefit out of my own pocket. My disability has been extended by my primary physician to May 2, 2017. After submitting the numerous amount of paperwork stating this recommendation, Humana still requires me to submit my doctor's notes with every visit before approving it in between visits. Fine, I have complied. I have no problem with it. I have turned in all documents. My next appointment with my physicians is on April 25, 2017, but Humana will only approve my disability only up to April 10, 2017. Go figure.

Until I can submit my doctor's notes, they cannot pay me, according to Vicky and Dawn of Humana Claims Dept. MY NEXT APPOINTMENT IS ON APRIL 25th, WHAT DOCUMENTS DO YOU WANT ME TO SUBMIT? THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!! I have submitted all documents supporting that my injury is legitimate, I don't know what else is needed. Shame on you Humana. You are unfair and have clearly stepped over your boundaries!!! You have notes from all medical experts, my physicians and MRI results. What more do you need?

Just got off the phone with Humana regarding my health insurance. My question for them was why do the providers in my area keep dropping Humana and no longer accepts them for payment. I know it's not because I don't pay my premiums. I do. Even as they have risen over 30% in the last couple of years. Is it their goal to just eliminate all health care providers while racking in our premiums? Customer service hung up on me.

I was disabled and chose Humana for my insurance company. After several years I was able to work part time and I picked up a little supplemental policy that covered $6000 a year with $6000 deductible. Now Humana wants to call this new policy primary and them secondary. Humana is over $200 a month and the Blue Cross is $80 a month. Humana refused to pay for X-rays or anything else since they are claiming to be secondary now. Worst company I have ever dealt with. Do not use as their coverage is no better than Medicare primary which cost a lot less.

Words can't describe the rage inducing, incomparable, 'Twilight Zone' experiences I have had with these people over the phone. How many numbers do they have? I spoke with probably 13 different people over the course of an hour, called at least eight different numbers, got transferred over a dozen times. Got zero answers - no wait I got several idiotic, incorrect answers. It went something like, "Oh you're on a supplemental plan," "Oh you're not in our system at all," "Oh you don't even have a Humana ID," "Oh here is your Humana ID," "I can't help you with that let me keep transferring you," "Oh if you move then you're probably not covered in your new state (WHAT), yep NC is not covered (this wasn't even my question)," "Let me transfer you again to see if you can be covered in your new state," gets transferred yet again, "Hello how can I help you with getting you information on our out of network service?"

After telling the newest woman I was not interested in out of service information and was just told my plan would not work in another state, she helped inform me that yes, it would work, and I needed to be transferred back to answer my original question. Next, "Oh now you want to cancel your plan? You have to wait a year." And all this after navigating their automated phone system every time someone new got on the phone or I got pawned off to the next incompetent idiot. Kudos making an automated phone system navigation look like taking a trip to Mordor and JUMPING INTO AN ACTIVE VOLCANO WOULD BE MORE PREFERABLE. And if this review is too chaotic and jumbled to comprehend then you are getting a small taste of what it's like having to deal with this... this absolutely EVIL, god-awful company. RUN AWAY.

I have been seeing the same dentist at the same dentist office for 24 years. I have had Humana Dental for the past 3 years. Last year I had a bill that was partially paid. The reason given for not paying in full was the provider was out of network. This dentist was always in network before, so I contacted my dentist office. The dentist office explained that this had happened to all their clients with Humana for no apparent reason except that Humana decided to drop him.

Several months and phone calls later, Humana re-instated the dentist giving no reason for dropping him in the first place. The customer service is apparently farmed out to an overseas call service. I had a poor connection and asked for a call back that I never received. I called a third time in one day and after explaining my problem, my call was mysteriously dropped. After calling the fourth time, I was put on hold for over 5 minutes during which time a call came into my phone from a Kentucky exchange which turned out to be a Humana representative. I am now waiting for resolution which I have been verbally promised.

I signed up in Dec for a policy. I paid the bill, received all of the paperwork, insurance card, etc. Went to the doctor last week & they said Humana can't find you in the system. After two days of conference calls w/ Humana & Marketplace they cannot straighten this out and are making me wait until Marketplace sends them more paperwork. Even though Humana has accepted my payments and posting them SOMEWHERE! This makes no LOGICAL sense. Can someone out there help w/ this? I called the corporate office and they refuse to let me speak with anyone. I sent a complaint via their contact us link on their website and have heard nothing. Marketplace called today and said I need to call back tomorrow about this. I would like to go to the doctor now & do not have the $ to pay them up front because I just lost my job. Can't anyone recommend what else I can do? Humana has received a $1,000 of my money so far.

Two years ago, a check to me from Humana was stolen from my mailbox. I have been trying to get the check reissued for 6 months now and have spoken repeatedly to Humana's financial integrity department as well as their member services and claim department. I have spoken to 20 (TWENTY) agents and spent over 10 hours on the telephone with them. I also returned written documentation to them requesting reissuance of the check. They have repeatedly said that they will reissue the check, which has been confirmed as voided, but no check is ever issued. Humana repeatedly hangs up on me or disconnects the call. This happens virtually every single time I call them. Despite my requests to have them call me back, this never happens.

I am permanently and fully disabled and must live on what I get from Social Security. This money ($179.39) is important to me. It was overpayment of a claim. But I am at a loss as to what else I can do other than to get an attorney and sue them for both the amount of the check as well as all the emotional distress that they have caused me. NEVER EVER CONTRACT WITH HUMANA FOR ANYTHING. ESPECIALLY DO NOT PUT YOUR HEALTH OR WELL BEING IN THEIR HANDS.

THIS IS THE MOST INCAPABLE, USELESS, POORLY CONTROLLED company I have ever dealt with after a career of almost 40 years as a finance director and risk assessment specialist. The company should lose their license to do business. They have zero customer service! WHAT THEY HAVE IS CUSTOMER DISSERVICE! This is just one in a long list of problems that I have had with my health insurance coverage with them. If I could give them a negative rating I would!!!

I am a disabled nurse with Rheumatoid arthritis. I chose Humana Preferred Rx Plan because they said they covered my meds. My doctor wrote a prescription for one of the medicines, they refuse to cover it. They made me and my doctor’s office jump through hoops and still denied it.

My husband just turned 65 on February 18th. He called tonight to double check on some meds that he was waiting for. Come to find out they don't cover several of those meds that are listed and they also telling him that some can't even be mailed in. What is up with this company. I saw so many bad reviews tonight that is makes me sick. I was reading all of them. This is crazy. How come this company is still opened. I will be on medicare in August and I will not be using Humana for darn sure. He is stuck in this a year. Now when will something be done to make this company stop all these lies just to get you to join then they send you out to the wolves after they got you! MADDENING! I AM SITTING HERE LISTENING TO HIM ON THE PHONE WITH THEM RIGHT NOW AND IT IS A MESS!

HUMANA GOLD PLUS MEDICARE ADVANTAGE - I received a TDAP Vaccine on 2016 and the insurance refused to pay indicating that is not covered by the plan because it is not a "Preventive Medicine (vaccine)". Since when a vaccine is not preventive??? Humana is doing fraud and must be investigated immediately. I will follow this complaint with all the vested authorities for fraud claims.

Humana sent me a letter stating they would no longer cover my ** inhaler. That is bad enough but when I called them to stop paying my premium because they discontinued my coverage I was told I still have to pay until October. How is this right when they are the ones that discontinued coverage. My doctor can appeal but why should he have to and are they going to double the price? Well Humana you might get your premium but I am headed to Canada where I can get my meds at a fraction of the cost that you charge. So long losers.

Don't buy Humana Ins. They send a letter saying bill is this amount then send a coupon book that is higher than the letter quote. Nobody can give you a straight answer as to why. Whoever is running the Mickey Mouse outfit better get this straightened out real soon. I am going to try again Monday 2/13/17. I'm done with them. They don't understand why BBB is not on top of this.

I get the same scripts every month for years. In January my pharmacist got an error message that I had received my monthly limit of 360 tablets of one of my medications and the script is for 90 a month. He spent over an hour on the phone with them and then I spent an additional 45 minutes but could not get it straightened out. I ended up paying full ($370) price with my credit card thinking I would get a refund later. It's now been over a month and I have filled the same prescription again for $7.17 just like every month except January for the last 10 years. I have called Humana at least 10 times and each time passed around from department to department and put on multiple extensive holds by each department. I just called again and spoke to 6 different people in 4 different departments. It was over 2 hours long and honestly don't believe I'm closer to a refund than before I called.

I filled out all the paperwork they sent me and mailed it back over 3 weeks ago. They are not all idiots and can't figure it out. They are trained to do this hoping that eventually you will just give up. They are obviously a bunch of scam artist that take advantage of their own customers in a time of need. What a bunch of scumbags. I would say they have spent more money on employee pay on this care than they saved by stealing my money but if you have ever called then you know the employees they hire for phone support probably only get paid one bag of rice per day. My supposed case number is **. By the looks of that number I would guess they get many complaints.

I am aghast that this insurance company can deny insulin to a diabetic. I have been a diabetic for 42 years, and have always had my medication approved by insurance. After retirement, I signed up with Humana. Lo and behold, they have STOPPED covering my insulin. How can they do this? How can a diabetic go without insulin? I can't afford the $987 I will have to now supposedly pay for my insulin. This is a travesty to me and all other diabetics. I didn't ask for this disease - yet this company has seen fit to deny my medication to me.

I will be having my doctor file a claim with this company, hoping to have it approved, and will start looking for another insurance company to help me out. What kind of service is this? Way to go Humana!!! ALSO, it is interesting that when talking to a customer service representative, the phone connections are so bad. I realize that these folks are not the messengers, they are simply doing what they have been directed to do, but geez - the customer service people then get testy when they can't get their point across to the patient because of a bad connection!

I have been paying for years and when I needed them they asked for all excuses. Even when I asked them to cancel they ignore and kept withdrawing from the bank. They should not be in business for dental insurance. Their customer service is valueless as they cannot take decisions. THE WORST I EVER SEEN.

While there are NUMEROUS reasons why I am disappointed with Humana my most recent experience tops the cake. They cancelled one of the doctors enrollment with them out of the 5 in my OBGYN office. They were not asked to do so, they made an error and her credentials were cancelled with Humana making her out of network. Therefore, after I gave birth to my daughter with, you guessed it, the one doctor they "accidentally" cancelled I am now stuck paying $1300 out of pocket because they refuse to correct their mistake. They even told my doctor's office it was a mistake on their end and it was being "expedited".

My daughter was born in July and it is now February of the following year. One of the customer service agents told my doctor to submit the claim under another physician who is in network at this time and guess what - that claim was DENIED. Luckily my husband's new job offers amazing insurance so I can finally break ties with this joke of a company. Thank you, Humana, for processing claims wrong, never fixing your mistakes, and for taking another $1,000 from me.

Do NOT buy Humana insurance! So far, Humana has deleted the one drug I need most from its formulary. And now that my prescription has changed, it has deleted that one too. When you call Humana and an hour later finally get to talk to a living person, they always tell me the drug I ask about is not on the formulary. So next time I'll just ask if there are 'any' drugs on their formulary. I doubt it. I believe the drugs most needed are the ones Humana gets rid of first. Just another greedy insurance company that wants your $$$ but doesn't want to give you any coverage. Hopefully President Trump can do something to make Humana accountable to those who are paying them but getting nothing in return.

My friend just called me this morning and said she was shocked that I had Humana insurance. She said her doctor told her two years ago to NEVER go with Humana. Boy was he right. I will find out more about all this when my friend calls me back tonight and we get a chance to really talk. My advice is to steer clear of Humana forever.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.
  • Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.
  • HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Heads of families, senior citizens, employees