Humana Health Insurance

5,641people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Humana Health Insurance:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I have dental insurance with Humana. Two fillings were done in mid July. Humana placed the claim into review for a narrative and x-rays. They denied the claim saying that they did not receive requested information. These have been sent three times, the dental office copied me the last time to show that they were sending it. Today, they still claim that they have not received this. They either lie or delay in an effort to halt other work and avoid payment or they are all incompetent. I don't care which. Either way, they are an insurance company to be avoided. I have spoken with their reps on several occasions and sent multiple emails but each time they give the same response trying to blame the dental practice that I know for a fact complied with their request each time.

Humana has violated HIPAA regulations by requiring patients to send back WRONG RX to them. Medicare had informed that once RX is dispensed -- wrong or not -- the RX needs to be discarded. Humana sets their own rules that do not follow Medicare guidelines. Hours on the phone and I get no help. They buy the cheapest generic RX from shady manufacturers. I had my RX analyzed by a local lab and the RX they sent me does not contain any go the medicine -- that's a felony.

After dealing with Humana for 9 months, I've come to realize they are either run by imbeciles or the devil. I was on ** prior to going on Medicare. When Medicare became active, so did my coverage with Humana PPO. They denied the ** but suggested I pay out of pocket $4,000 per month. After that they denied everything my doctor prescribed for my arthritis. 7 months later, I'm in a full blown flare up with a sd rate over 60 and CRP over 20. I'm now sick and can't get the meds I need. My doctor finally got them to cover **. Only problem was my co-pay was $5,000. I was able to get assistance through PAN network.

I have a stack of denial letters from Humana. Some are dated the same day. I finally received an approval letter and was tempted to frame it in a gilded frame. As unbelievable as it may sound, I got a denial letter after their approval letter. I even got another letter stating they needed my doctor's authorization - after I received my first dose! When I called the number on the letter, they were just as shocked as I was. The number on the letter was to the pharmacy who transferred me to the specialty pharmacy who was equally confused.

I asked to speak to the person who sent me the letter, Mr ** whose credentials included director of pharmacy professions. The specialty pharmacy didn't know who this person is. They explained that the insurance side sent the letter. (Insurance side?) So what I take from this is the left hand definitely has no clue what the right hand is doing! Like I said that in title, RUN from this company - stay away from them!

I just went to CVS to pick up my son's prescription. Again denied by Humana. Not on their list of drugs. Here we go again. I spent a year fighting with Humana to have a drug covered which is the only thing my son responds to. We went through appeal after appeal until finally the Medical State Commissioner overturned the decision sending a scathing 4 page letter to Humana REQUIRING them to cover the medication. Humana had to reimburse us for thousands of out of pocket money for the medication they refused to cover. Now here we go again. Some moron at Humana has decided to not cover it yet AGAIN! I will fight them again all the way again. But it is exhausting and ridiculous. Humana plays God. Interfering with your care and your doctor. Your doctor knows what is best for you, not some idiot at Humana. I have had to fight them on medical procedures that I have needed but Humana seems unnecessary.

When did it become their right to play God and make decisions about my care when they haven't even examined me and have no relationship to me. This is the worst health care company ever. They only care about their shareholders and not the people that are their customers. It is a conflict of interest to be publicly traded and pretend that you are serving the interest of your insured. This is why we MUST go to a nonprofit single payer system where they are not trying to serve stockholders! I hate Humana!! I will keep fighting, but I shouldn't have to!!!

I have experienced the worst insurance company I've dealt with ever. Dating back a year ago when they declined covering my insulin in acting as a doctor which they are not they declined coverage because they felt that I needed oral when my doctor expressly felt otherwise. They tried to weasel out of covering an accident in which I went to the ER that was covered under my plan. Recently I had to take my wife to the ER because, she was running a fever, severe pain, dangerously dehydrated etc. These crooks sent a letter saying that they would not pay a dime because they deemed that it wasn't an emergency. Their customer service is a joke as well. I would like to know why insurance companies are allowed to decide your health treatment over doctors? By doing the corrupt garbage that they do it discourages people from seeking health care in emergencies. Stay away from this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Due of my credit card expiration Humana had been cancelled my insurance without notifying me or sending me any mail or emails to me. I try to work with Marketplace to re-open health insurance with Humana. They have been working on last 3 month nothing has been resolved yet. I spoke with Marketplace they told me that requested to Humana and Humana says that he never got any request from Marketplace. I am tired of calling both parties to fix issue. I have having serious health issues no one is talking me without insurance. I am really helpless. What kind of stupid insurance government making legal? If I died who will responsible for me? Since 3 three months I have been suffering with serious health issues. I need help emergency help. Is there any way I could get help. I am having kidney stones bothering me unable to concentrate and lost my job.

Our Humana coverage ran from 1/1/2015 through 12/31/2015. At that time, we did not give any permission for renewal. In other words, Humana coverage was to end 12/31/2015. Humana deducted three premiums from my checking account for the months of January, February and March 2016. These were for $91.70 each. When I discovered this in May 2016 I requested a refund and it was denied.

I filed a Grievance and mailed it to the Appeal Department. Humana determined that I should receive a refund in the amount of $366.80. That was July 19th. On August 4th -- not having received the refund -- I contacted Humana. I informed them of my correct address. They said they would reissue the check. Here it is 5 weeks later and still no check received. I know they would not wait this long if I owed them money! While the amount they owe me might seem insignificant, I am on a fixed income and had to pay the credit card bill for the amounts they did not have my permission to charge.

Humana pre-authorizes medical services, then in some cases with large bills refuses to pay the provider, leaving customer on the hook. They have done this on two occasions with me, totaling over $1,000. The company is lying and crooked. BEWARE.

It has become such a problem having claims denied that I don't even want to go to the doctor anymore. I have had multiple issues with Humana continually denying to pay for routine medical procedures. I was recently sent to a collection agency because Humana took so long to review a claim that they denied. I have wasted hours of my life on the phone with incompetent customer service reps. It is beyond frustrating. If you are considering Humana insurance, I would strongly encourage you to keep looking. I would not have this insurance if it weren't a group plan provided through my employer.

I moved from GA to VA and was assured by the Humana sign up representative that the psychiatry care was extensive. I suffer from Major Depression and have had many suicide attempts over the years. I enrolled in Humana on June 22, 2016, but the insurance did not kick in until July 1st. I then had to wait four weeks to see a Primary Care doctor to get a Psych referral. I called Humana and explained that I was going to run off my antidepressant RX and this could be very dangerous for me. The rep told me at least 10 times, that I could not see a Psychiatrist until I saw the Primary Care doctor.

I pleaded with her, sobbing, and crying telling her I was not doing well, and asked her what I should do. So 10 more times she told me the same thing and with each repetition she got nastier and nastier to me. I eventually gave up trying to get her to see my problem and at the end of the call, she wished me a nice rest of my day. I was so upset that it took every ounce of my emotional strength to resist the urge to kill myself. These people are completely without human emotion and are quite possibly evil.

Never have gotten any answers to my questions through Humana's customer service - it is so bad that every time I need to call for help - I might as well talk to my dog... Ugh! Need an in network medical supply company in Charlotte county Florida that can give me the supplies I need for my cpap machine... Apparently Humana customer service cannot or will not give me this information. How do you train these people who usually "piss off" your customers!!!

I moved from AZ to WA end of July 2016. I called to change my address, fully expecting the policy to change to WA as well. I was informed on Aug 9, 2016 after receiving a letter dated Aug 3rd 2016, they were cancelling my policy effective JULY 31st. Customer service intimated I should have applied to HUMANA in WA!!! So then Customer Service say sorry, nothing they can do. I'll have to enroll in October. Meanwhile, I have prescriptions I can't fill. Isn't Humana a company hired by the government to manage Medicare? This speaks Class Action Suit to me. How can a company inform you that they are cancelling a policy AFTER the fact? And then not making it right...

I am very disappointed in the lack of training of the representatives at Humana. Every time I have called, I have been placed on hold for lengthy periods of time only to be transferred to numerous representatives due to the lack of communication. I feel that the representatives do not pay attention and instead just pass on members to someone else. Today I was placed on hold for over an hour and transferred 7 times, finally speaking to a supervisor.

In one week I have been denied seeing a ophthalmologist in Nashville, that they previously had in their network. He was a specialist that I needed to consult about a previous procedure. Today I was denied pharmacy coverage for ** 100 mg tablets, an old, old drug that has been used forever for bladder infection pain and was previously covered by Humana and Medicare. Even United Health Care covers this drug, which costs a few cents per tablet to produce, but costs over $2.00 each at Walgreens!! This is pathetic and a direct discrimination against their female patients.

This company is horrible. Thanks to Obamacare we can only get our insurance once a year and if like in my case the company makes a mistake then you are screwed. So I set up on automatic payments from my bank account with one of the reps for humana, that was never done so because I was out of town. I didn't get my mail to see the letters they sent. So now because humana screwed up not only did they have a payment of over $700 dollars my family doesn't have insurance... And it's been 2 months of calling them weekly to get my refund. UNBELIEVABLE. They are rude not helpful and a JOKE.

My coverage was to begin on June 1, 2016. Today is August 2, 2016 and I still am unable to access my prescription benefits! After NUMEROUS calls to Humana, I am still unable to fill any prescriptions! I am out of blood pressure, diabetic, and heart meds. Humana blames Walmart... Walmart blames Humana... Result still no meds. I'm on hold yet again with Humana being told, "This is really messed up". All the customer service operators were very nice and tried their best to resolve the problem only It ended up never getting resolved. Each time I am assured the "problem" is taken care of... yet my card still is refused. I have paid monthly premiums to no avail... I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND even if the amount is lower than other programs. I will be switching when renewal comes around in Oct-Dec! My FINAL STEP is to call the Indiana State Insurance Dept.

I would like to state my experience with Humana Insurance Co. and I have one bit of advice for anyone trying to decide what company to purchase a supplemental insurance. RUN, DONT WALK!!! I have had a problem with Humana going back to October 2015! I called Humana in February 2015 to let them know I was moving to Mexico for an extended period of time. I told them Mexico did not honor American companies there. They told me "fine. We'll note it on your account." I also asked them if I needed to do anything else and they said no. Big mistake taking that advice.

In October, I received a notice that I owed $596.00 for the months from March through October. I have made no less than 30 phone calls all to no avail. I told them that I spoke to a gentleman in February and he said I did not need to do anything else in order to stop my coverage. NO ONE LISTENED!!! Some said, "Oh, we do not see any notes of you dropping your coverage." Or some said, "Yes, we see where you called at the end of February, but you did not send a letter to follow-up." I told them I was never told to send a letter.

I have spoken to supervisors and they were no help. I also went to the local office of Humana in North Raleigh several months ago. I spent 2 hours waiting to talk to someone. When I finally spoke to her, it took over an hour to relate what I have been going through. She said to call her in 2-3 weeks and she would try and help me. I have never spoken to her. I called several times and was always told to leave a message and someone would get back to me. No return phone call ever.

I had decided I needed expert help, as I finally realized what Humana was doing. I purchased a new plan in February 2016, thinking the past problem was resolved. I realized that they were taking my monthly payment and applying it to my past due balance. I contacted the NC Insurance Commission. They forwarded my complaint to Medicare. I called Humana last week and was told a resolution letter was in the mail. I incorrectly assumed they were going to offer me a solution, like maybe me paying half and then lowering the past due balance. What did I get? A letter telling me they had heard of my complaint and I owed $497. And a threat that they would take my account to a collections agent if I did not pay the past due amount. I will never pay that bill. This is 100% Humana's fault.

The latest problem with them is that when I called to purchase the coverage I specifically asked if the 3 doctors who I see were in network. They assured me they were. A few weeks ago I received a notice from Humana that I owed over $400 for doctor visits that were not covered under my policy. I called them and told them I had checked to see before purchasing this coverage and was assured they were all in the network. So I now owe over $400 for visits that were supposed to be covered. What do they say? "Oh, we are sorry for the mistake, but there's nothing we can do."

I have spent countless hours on the phone and I always get the same response, "Oh we are so sorry you are going through such a bad time", but bottom line they would not budge, even though this is entirely their fault. I am considering a lawsuit and would like to know if anyone else is interested in starting action against this aggressive, clueless, biased company. It is unthinkable that at 73 years of age, I have to deal with their incompetence and have spent so much time and effort to get this resolved. All for nothing.

I am enrolled in Humana Gold Plus (Medicare Advantage)...but not for long. They were fine when I just needed meds (They arrive in the mail at no charge to me, free for me but Humana charges the medicare about 4X the Wal-Mart Price). HOWEVER, I broke my ankle in 2 places and had to have surgery. Most of the bills are arriving in my mailbox because Humana refuses to pay. They simply mark everything as "not medically necessary." If you want to spend many frustrating days on the phone, and additional days writing letters to Humana's Grievance Dept, this is the plan to choose!

Signed up to Humana Dental and found out through other customers and dentist that Humana coverage is industry and customer laughable. Stated coverage was often turned down or went unpaid. Talking to their customer services was like talking to a brick wall. When asked if I could cancel the policy as they did not cover anything was told I was in a one-year contract and would be required to make payments even though no benefits were received. I paid in for a full year and no benefits were received from this plan. It is a consumer rip-off and a scam. Don't waste your time or money with these fraudsters.

My son is currently on Humana insurance. He has A.D.D and seizures. He has no clue on what is going on with the company. I handle all of my son's medical issues. Every time I call into Humana about my son's health coverage it always a problem for me. It has been clear several times that I have authorization to speak on my son behalf. Whomever decided to go with this company made a big mistake. There are a lot of doctors that do not take Humana and that's not good. This is the messiest insurance company I have ever endured.

So, I needed a overnight sleep study. Went to their recommended and in network pulmonary specialist. The specialist scheduled a sleep study at a local sleep center that he is affiliated with. Humana refuses to pay. As a result of the sleep test I need a CPAP machine. Going through Humana's list of DME providers (only a few that do CPAP) and out of the 2 within 150 miles of me found one that offers the machine I want. I had called ** listed as Aprei in Bozeman Montana. A recording comes on giving a new # of **. This office told me.

We drove the 150 miles each way to get the machine. Guess what, Humana denied as being out of network. Very mad and as I get extra help with prescriptions, I was able to change. I switched from Humana PPO to the Humana Gold Choice. Next month's around, they deny the monthly charge of the CPAP they deny as I have not met my $1000 deductible.

We had asked several questions at Humana before switching. One of the questions was about the deductible. I had met my annual deductible with Humana on the PPO. Now they treat the mid year switch (my right to do) as I am a new customer and did not switch the annual deductible to the PFFS Told Choice. I pay a fortune for insurance to make sure I am covered. Running the numbers this year, I would have been far better of with the standard 20% share on regular Medicare. Medicare would not have held back any deductible on DME either. I feel like I just had a prostrate exam by a very mean doctor. I have switched carriers. I'm done!

Terrible!!! I have called 3 times. First time operator could not answer my question. Second time, the operator was to send a booklet explaining benefit coverage. I did not receive the booklet. Third time, I was put on hold numerous times while the operator looked up my request. She evidently had problems and asked if I wanted the booklet resent. I had answered that question twice. Then she put me on hold to enter the request, then transfer me to dental coverage because she did could not help. I was on hold so long, I just hung up!!! I need to call a 4th time now. I have been diagnosed with possible cancer and will need to take at least one more test. I already owe for one test ($327) that Humana may or may not cover. I am NOT PLEASED WITH HUMANA.

Wow, where to begin... When I needed heal the coverage due to being pregnant I decided to go with Humana not knowing that it was part of Obamacare. It was just something I could afford. So, I selected a PCP. I called that PCP office and I got an operator of which I assumed was transferring me to the correct place. I set up an appointment and started going to my visits. I called when I got close to my delivery to ensure that the UNIVERSITY of UTAH was in network which they stated was. After coming home with my newborn I received a bill which was for the exact amount out of network charges that I owed. I called Humana and requested an appeal and a retro authorization. They helped very little and I had to get a charity reduction from the hospital themselves even though Humana messed up.

I spent hours in the phone instead of with my newborn to fix their mistake. Thanks for putting a very small authorization on so I didn't have to pay the close to $20,000. Humana. Almost a year later they change their policy to not accept credit cards. Okay fine. I switched to my credit card which expired in June. I called Humana saying that I noticed the amount had not left my account. They said it takes up to 10 days even though it says processed on their side. Apparently they terminated my insurance for non payment and having an infant. I called back to get it reinstated and they promised a call back which I never received. LONG story short they are not reinstating it. THANKS Humana. For nothing but time, lost of money and frustration.

HUMANA IS THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH. When signing up the representative are very nice and convincing. Once enrolled, the trouble begins. The doctors, Dentist and Eye Care listed on their website -- states accepting new patients. However, when you call the provider they are either not accepting new patients or has moved and telephone not in service. I was told by my eye care provider that they accept HUMANA. However Humana rejected my claim stating that the doctor was out of network but they could give me up to $100 discount by fill out an out of network claim form for the eye exam.

NEVER have I spent so much time trying to get a provider, and/or correct bills, etc. Medications are denied even when the doctor states that the medication is necessary. If you have HUMANA please don't get sick. I am on a fixed income and disabled. This company has caused my stress level to go up through the roof. WHAT IS EVEN MORE DISTURBING IS one day after joining I call Humana and asked to be released because I could not find a provider with my area to service me. I was told that I would have to wait for the enrollment period (which is in October) in order to be released. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY OR YOU WILL BE ____++++

I am POA and Guardian of one of their insured. It is beyond comprehension to me that I have provided Humana out of Lexington, KY, with copy of the POA and was denied access to the account, then provided them with the Humana account number and was told by them that that number was non-existent, but they continued to cash checks written by me on their insured both from my personal bank account, and her personal bank account!!! When I was finally contacted by "Lois" from their billing department about the faxes that I had sent in and the contacts that I had made to them by U.S. Mail and phone calls, I was told to have OMNICARE issue a letterhead to them and they would review it.

I waited for nearly two weeks to hear from OMNICARE out of San Antonio who put me on a 3-way phone conversation stating that Omnicare was being paid for their services (HOORAY!!!!) which was a worry off of my mind, but still the refusal of Humana to answer a question that had nothing, nada to do with Privacy Issues (HIPPA) when I simply wanted to know if Humana was not paying for her medications, why should I continue to pay them the premiums? While waiting to hear from Omnicare as to HUMANA'S instructions to have OMNICARE send them a letter on OMNICARE'S letterhead as to how OMNICARE fit into the situation, I receive a notification that Humana was dropping coverage on the prescriptions due to being "out of area".

Well, my mother's situation is "in limbo" right now due to transferring guardianship from one state to another, so I can't help it. That is a legal issue that I have no control over. Now, I received an "OVERDUE" notification from Humana stating that she is now three months behind in payments, and I just sent in payment for the previous two months while following HUMANA'S instructions to wait until hearing from OMNICARE. Absolutely the most incompetent agency I have dealt with yet.

Was talked into Humana "great company" top tier company etc, NEVER have I spent so much time trying to fix bills, medications that "aren't formulary", try not to be ill due to not being able to get said medications. Used the eyeglass "benefit". What a joke, talk about disposable eyewear! Unless you wanted to pay an especially overinflated price at the only glasses place in town. I didn't even receive a case for my glasses! Not an oversight, I asked for one. I was told they start at $5.00. Are you kidding??? I used the benefit because I'm on a fixed income, not because I wanted to use that particular business, I've never had such garbage glasses.

Other issues have been centered around other billing issues as addressed in previous posts of others. Why you cannot talk to the same rep. baffles me. You have to repeat your issue over & over till you get so disgusted you finally hang up, with a much higher blood pressure and heart rate! Hum... UM possible to keep you sick & confused? Maybe so. RUN, don't walk away from Humana. YOU will end up sicker and your family stuck with mountains of unpaid bills! I don't know how they operate and not get in serious legal trouble.I received a denial notice the other day from a procedure a year ago, AND it was dated June 1! This is the middle of July 2016! I changed to UHC/AARP community plan in my area and have had NO issues with anything! AMAZING! No insurance company is perfect but Humana talks out of both sides of their mouths. RUNAWAY! Unfortunately there are on negative stars in review so they got a 1 star, but it's a double negative!

Humana reject me as client after a surgery. I been paying 300$ each month. Due that I'm new in USA I didn't know about the quality of this insurance company. I suffer a vertebral compression in a domestic accident. While I was in intensive care at Mount Sinai, Miami waiting for surgery, the Chase bank "I don't know why" sent me a new debit card... Something that I didn't realize due that I didn't ask for a new card and I was in big pain after being 11 days in intensive care and a surgery. I didn't lost it or anything so they change my debit card number. The point is that they say that they couldn't charge me so I'm out of the insurance... but I didn't know about the debit card change...

Can't hear person, sounds like under water - long wait time and would not provide access to records even though power of attorney was on record. Demanded verbal auth from 96yr old mother with dementia.

I asked my doctor for a prescription for ** as I have gone back to school. I tried stimulants years ago and didn't like the way they made me feel in addition to the high risk side effects. Humana would not authorize coverage even after an appeal because I must have tried not one, but two stimulants within the past 12 months. I don't understand why I would have to try something that made me feel bad again. Also, it does not make sense that a non-addictive alternative would not be covered when our society is laden with drug addiction problems. Humana is encouraging patients to become addicted to stimulants.

They should be taken over by the state and then prosecute every executive and employee who propagates their fraud! I am a day away from a stroke dealing with them. In the middle of cancer treatment and a sick child these bastards cancel our insurance with no notice. We had bank fraud and notified them. "Don't worry" they said "You have 90 days before we will cancel your policy. Just get it resolved." I called three times trying to make payment and it was refused. Then they cancel for non-payment. They don't even deserve one star! Hate these bastards! When I die from lack of care my family will put you out of business so no one else dies on your watch! Piece of crap company!

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.
  • Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.
  • HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Heads of families, senior citizens, employees