Humana Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am considering changing back to Anthem this October because of the need for a referral for every doctor you need to see. Even the doctors offices find it excessive. Everyone I tell that I have to get a referral before I can see a doctor thinks it is a bad practice. My feet hurt very badly for a week, I finally decided that I needed to see someone. So I called the doctors office and got an appointment quickly but oh wait "you need a referral." So I called my Physician, "please try to hurry and get me a referral so I can see this doctor, my feet hurt badly." I don't like to go to doctors and won't go unless I need to, so I don't just make appointments needlessly.

There was an error made by Medicare who wrongly suspended my coverage. They quickly admitted the error and reinstated my coverage. BUT THAT DID NOT MATTER TO HUMANA!!! Without any explanation, they refused to admit my coverage without explanation. I am a licensed attorney in California. When I asked Humana for their office that would deal with the legal consequences of their negligence, they had nobody in California. They referred me to a South Carolina office that was closed. If you do business in California you must have an "agent for the service of process" in California. They illegally refused to provide this information. The Secretary of State should cancel their license to operate in this state but that office is also totally incompetent!

Humana is definitely just another business. My experience with their business from signing up for my son to finding some doctors that accept this insurance this mess. Everything is a fight. This wound vac is horrible. Constant problems, a total nightmare and I can't believe this is allowed. The wound vac is creating more problems it's total garbage. If you can get KCI wound vac do it. It actually works good. Humana legally cheating their paying clients and gets away with it.

It's all about the money with Humana. I'm so sorry we changed insurance after moving to Florida. Medicare approved corrective boots for my son and when we changed insurance to Humana they denied the boots. I wouldn't recommend Humana to anyone. I wish I had something good to say about this illegal business but I don't. They are total bad karma. SHAME ON HUMANA. The only reason I give them 1 star is to post this not because they deserve or have earned it.

Rather than paying $320 dollars for a mistake they made (all is documented), the workers at Humana Medicare have used various techniques to discourage me from holding them accountable. Here is the list: left me on hold for 40 minutes - then transferred me where I was on hold another 20 minutes, given me an incorrect address for the grievance and appeals department, transferred me to a wrong number- transferred me to another wrong number - and another wrong number and another and another all in one call, had multiple oral and written errors in each and every communication, which became the focal point rather than paying the bill, disregarded my grievance which was based on updating my benefits for the new year (the rule) and receiving incorrect information which I did not know until I had already acted on the given information only to find out the customer-service representative didn't know what she was talking about.

99% of calls are not returned, if returned and the receiver isn't immediately available the phone message states to call the number on the back of your Humana card and give a stated reference number but when I called the reference number wasn't in the Humana computer, and twisting the information -- i.e. saying that my dental provider had to send in the appeal -- the dental provided as pointed out to Humana workers many, many times didn't make the phone call. I did. The list goes on and on.To the point, Humana personnel consistently avoids the payment they are accountable for and does every possible trick to discourage a client from collecting. It is no wonder that the Medicare Advantage health plan ranking from NCQA has Humana rated "F" for customer satisfaction.

I have been with Humana since moving to Georgia in 2012. I have had no complaints other than co-pays increasing each year until today and having to all to request a provider directory. I have to have lab work done 2-3 times a year. My doc is very conservative and does not overdo it. I am on two meds for BP and trying to get off these. I am low cost to this company. However I must have labs. Never have I had a copay for labs until recently. I paid. Then on my next trip to the lab, I was quoted $189.00 that I "may have to pay" in addition to my copay! What's up? I cancelled my appointment and came home to call Humana. Not!! Is their 1-800 number out of service? I have tried calling for 2 days at different times of the day and I get a fast busy. I will now call my agent!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

I was told that Humana no longer serves any part of the state of Georgia. I was surprised to find out my 76 father carries it when he had a mini stroke last month. We paid over 2000 dollars monthly until Obamacare brought it down drastically. I still paid a lot out of pocket and I'm not sickly. But last year my husband had a too high red count, was sent to a oncologist only to find out it was his red rice supplement causing it and a month later I had to get blood transfusion sent to an oncologist only to find out I was anemic. I take an iron pill daily. Suddenly I was told Georgia was not carrying Humana anymore. Liar liar it does. Several family members have it. So does many businesses. I was told by a lawyer they have violated my rights because I had the highest bracket they carried. I paid the most out of pocket and the first four payments would have paid the bills the paid. I made them a lot of money. This company is crooks and thieves. Shame on them.

Trying to get Humana to pay legit bill for 2 or 3 years. They blame it in my provider, but provider says it Humana. Now it's in collections. Humana needs to huMANa Up and do their job. Pay the bill! I have spent countless hours on the phone over the years with bumbling, idiotic customer services reps. Some were very, very rude. One put me on hold for like an hour and talked bad about in her break and when she came back, I told her she forgot to press Mute and I heard all her nasty remarks and she told me I couldn't possibly have heard what she said as she put me on hold, then she hung up! Unprofessional. HUMANA... PAY THIS BILL. $177.00. It's been years. Are you guys hurting for money? Stop hiring idiot customer service reps and pay my bill.

Worse company ever. If I could rate no star I certainly would. I paid Humana for dental and eye coverage since 2001 through my employer. It was self-funded by my employer and the only option. I had a $1,000 annual limit and have almost $400 left of that amount to be used in 2016. It's been a year now and the claim is still being denied. For about 6 months they questioned the date of service, insisting that I no longer had coverage when the work was done. They were wrong.

Since that has been resolved the problem now appears to be a question about the tooth numbers involved in the work I had done. I had forbidden them to contact my dentist again, as he has talked to them numerous times and sent X-rays three times that they requested but continue to claim not to have. My dentist is semi-retired and has jumped through hoops for a year. I was on hold for 2 hours and 18 minutes today trying desperately to get this problem solved.

I am beyond frustrated and embarrassed for the way they have stalled this claim making me look very bad and questioning my honesty about dates, but especially the way they have harassed my dentist. $400 wouldn't buy a decent lunch for their board of directors, but they spend time and effort to avoid paying a legitimate claim. The five ladies I talked to today were all very polite but relentless in their intention to not see this claim resolved. What recourse do I have now??? Take care senior citizens when considering Humana as your supplement to Medicare. You won't be happy I promise!

Before I signed up with Humana I read as many reviews as possible and they had a 4 or 5-star review on Medicare website. I had them in Palm Beach Florida with no problems. However not so in rural North Florida. I signed up with their pharmacy in October and ordered 2 prescription drugs, no charge. When it was time to renew I called and spoke with someone in the pharmacy and asked if there was any change in the cost of the meds. I was told no.

In January when the Dr. sent in for refills, Humana said one medication was 450.00. I declined refill and told the representative that I spoke with someone in the pharmacy before I signed with again for 2017 and was assured that my medication cost would remain the same. The rep. said she was sorry but that was misinformation. Since then I was told that they will not pay for some of routine blood work testing ie test for vitamin D. Today I called for tetanus dep and was told they do not pay for that.

I am actually quite healthy and rarely use the insurance so I am not a high cost to them. My medication are for HTN and the one I no longer take was for overactive bladder. I will not renew my coverage with them for 2018 and will go back to straight Medicare if it is still around by then. My advice to anyone using Humana, get everything in writing.

I joined Humana Gold Plus (HMO SNP) 05/11/2017, BIG mistake, an agent with Humana set me up with Piedmont Senior Care. They don't accept Medicare or Humana, also set me up to see a Dr. Ann **, she doesn't work at the clinic. She works at the nursing facility. The receptionist said Humana is constantly telling people the same thing, she said everyone using Humana is telling her they are to see Dr. **. This company Humana, should be PUT OUT OF BUSINESS, they are endangering patients' lives. I switched back today 06/13/2017 to Medicare after only 32 days. Humana is A FRAUD!

Worst insurance company ever! Unfortunately this is what is available through my employer. They are always trying to override the decisions made by doctors in your medications. Once you meet your deductible and they may have to pay a little, they step in and won't give you the medications you need. I have been on the same eye drop since January and I have been paying for it. Now that I have met my deductible, they decided I don't need it! They cash the checks for my premiums with no problem. My employer pays almost 6000 a year for my coverage with a 2500 deductible. Now they won't approve my drops because it's their turn to pay! Horrible! If you can steer clear of this insurance as a company, please do! Your employees deserve better!

Humana will rip you off! My mom has been paying Humana $64 bi-weekly for the past 13 years for short-term disability insurance. She has been having health issues that are severe enough to cause her to be out of work. As soon as the doctor took her out of work and she filed FMLA she filled out her claim thinking everything would be ok. Let me just say nothing has been ok. She now faces eviction and is going to lose her car, her only source of transportation, why? Because she has been waiting for her insurance money from them for nearly 3 months. She has complied with them when they say they need something, her doctor has even called them and still nothing. She has been speaking with different reps and even a supervisor who is now avoiding her calls! I stay with someone and have been helping as much as possible but she has nowhere to go if she gets evicted which is inevitable! She has had zero money coming in this whole time!

***

Note to approvers:

Review already posted on https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/humana-medicare-drug-plan-part-d-drug-coverage-for-seniors-c875900.html

***

ENDANGERING CLIENTS HEALTH CARE - HUMANA (Medicare) Rx Drug Plan - Profits from pain 4/26/2017 1:25 PM

I have had HUMANA as my Drug Rx plan in NY for several years and now in Florida since moving here a year ago. In NY it was determined by 3 specialists, that I am ALLERGIC to preservatives in eyedrops (it caused me severe blepharitis) and then the anti-inflammatory drugs to resolve this caused permanent vision damage to both my eyes. I have to use unpreserved eye drops to avoid vision loss. All the eye doctors I saw notified Human of my sensitivity to preservatives and the need for unpreserved medications (I too am an eye doctor). Humana then authorized the (not on the formulary) drops at a $45.00 copay each purchased months supply (after a yearly first purchase of $125.00).

I called today to get a price on the drops in Florida, as recommended by my physician who thought she might be able to save me money by NOT using my drug plan. I was told by your rep 1-800-281-6918 that all the past reports my doctors filed were of no value. I was told that I had to start the process over and get new doctors to request this exception because it was a new year (each year). You did not promise to make an exception in any case. I was also told the drug is not on your formulary and I would have to pay full price. The Walmart discount prices is $175.84 for a months supply. It sells for over $200 / mo supply. It is illogical (and unethical) to ask me to go through the doctor request process each year. When your representative said I would have to do this I asked to speak to a supervisor since allergies dont go a way. He then played the same trick all "annoyed" providers do and said he would transfer my call to customer services who would help. He promptly disconnected us. (he had my phone number and if he wished to call back he could have).

I am a retired doctor, I understand how you play games by forcing doctors to do unnecessary time consuming paperwork and phone work so that you can stop patients who need exceptions from getting the meds they need and for which they have paid your insurance fees for years. Sure you tell the patients it is their doctors responsibility to contact your service department as if it would take just a moment or two. When I was a practicing doctor, I would have been doing this all day! Doctors are paid poorly enough already and now you add to the injury by making them do unnecessary paperwork or spend time on the phone with your company (which hangs up on them too) which is not possible for them to do today. It is a neat little way of deceiving your patients. You tell them ask your doctors to get an exception and put the blame on the doctor.

Having a formulary that allows you to negotiate for a lower price with a drug company is not a bad idea. However when a patient needs a drug not available on your formulary and when there is no alternative on our formulary, making them jump through hoops to deny services is UNETHICAL. We as patients, all know the stories of suffering senior citizens who live in pain because they cannot afford the medicines they pay their plans for. The medicines they can get from Canada pharmacy cheaper than WITH their drug plans.

As patients, you take our money in premiums with false promises of care and then deny service for greater profits. Nothing could be more unethical other than directly causing injury to your clients by stabbing them with a knife or shooting them. You get away with it indirectly, without putting a knife in them, by denying services. I wonder how this would read on the Internet? I gave you 24 hours to set this straight in writing and then I waited w weeks. On 4/26/2017 I then sent my email to your customer services and received no response. Today is 5/9/2017 If you intended to respond, 2 weeks was clearly enough time. This clearly paints a picture of the ethics behind your services and your concern for your clients. Dr Joseph A Ross

5/30/2017 --- The Human Drug Plan Rip-Off only gets worse.

My eye doctor prescribed a second med for me today. Unpreserved again because I am allergic as documented. This drug was also denied. Now she is going to write to them to see if they can get it approved. Meanwhile the records for several years show (at their company) that I am allergic and that does not change.

Today my wife needs and eyedrop for post surgical care. The drop is called Prednisone. When she went to pick it up today they charged her an $80.00 co-pay. I went online to Canadian pharmacy to see what it would cost without insurance. The price in us dollars is $27.00 and it is the same product from the same company, Allergan. GET THIS STRAIGHT NOW: WITH INSURANCE $80.00 WITHOUT INSURANCE $27.00 .. How ethical is this? I looked at HUMANAs ratings online.

Rating: 1.2 stars out of - 367 votes <== Any wonder why?

So much for having Humana as a secondary insurance. My daughter has Lou Gehrig's/ALS and the doctor ordered an all electric bed. Medicare will only pay for a semi electric bed and Humana refused to pay the difference. Terrible customer service.

My husband has had Humana for years to help cover the cost of his prescriptions. He went to the pharmacy like he does every month to get his prescription and it turns out that Humana terminated his coverage last month and never sent him any prior notice stating that fact. When he called to speak with a representative, he was also told that he owes premiums! And stated that if he pays almost $150.00! That's money we will never have, and then MAYBE they will sell him another plan!! Again, never notified of this fact. My husband's medication is to help with his insomnia, and now he can't get it. Humana was aware of this fact when he initially got the plan. I also found out that insomnia can be an indication of something serious. He is currently in contact with an attorney, to see if there is something that can be done about this situation.

Have been with this company over 10 years and only have used it for a claim one time back in 2015 due to a high risk pregnancy that left me unable to work. Recently I filed another claim because I am currently pregnant again and have been diagnosed with the same high risk problem I had last pregnancy that was an approve illness, but now I have been denied for this claim. I have called several times trying to get answers on how this is possible being that I had a claim approved before and all I get is rudeness and very nasty attitudes from the employees.

These people are not even doctors and have the nerve to send a letter saying I am not total disable before delivery date. I'm confused how am I suppose to do my job as a letter carrier if I can't even walk from my illness. They instructed me to appeal the decision and pray it be overturn. So now I have been off well over a month with no pay with 4 kids and one on way and I'm having to fight for money I paid for this insurance. I hate this company and as soon as I can I will be dropping them and I will also be making a complaint to my company so this company will not be allowed to sucker postal workers into purchasing this insurance.

I called Humana about my prescription benefits and spoke to at least four different people with no results. They all were quick to blame Social Security, pharmacy or myself for the problem. To compound my frustrations I could not understand half of what was said. They either spoke too quickly or without clear enunciation and I finally hung up. Without answers!

Following instructions received from Humana, I attempted to renew consents by clicking the options provided. Using several paths that I thought might work, I kept getting instructions to try again later. I don't want to try again later... It takes an act of Congress to even get signed into my account. I dread using this site because of the sign-in procedure and the fact that I either have to keep trying again later.

Humana Health Insurance offer a good deal on preventive care, like x-rays and cleaning, but not on crowns, fillings, root canals and extractions, but the dentist office offers interest free financing.

My doctor no longer accepts Humana. Now I'm having problems finding a newer doctor that will. My old doctor sent me to a specialist for my hearing because my left eardrum is blown out. I don't want to lose my dr and would rather change insurance companies without the hassle. But I'm having a hard time changing my health care plan.

All dental insurance is very limited in regards to dollar amount coverage. $1,000 does not cover major issues like getting root canal, crowns, implants, etc. We end up paying the bulk of the costs, rather than, say 20%, as you would in medical plans.

They should help with the cost with dent or should help with keeping the teeth that are good. Sometimes not all the teeth are bad but they would like pulled and that are good.

I get in and out timely. They are very patient and appointments when I need them without a long wait. They are willing to work with my schedule.

My car was broken into on the 10th of April. Cash, jewelry, a few other items and my prescription meds were stolen. I take these meds multiple times every day, and if I stop abruptly I go through awful withdrawals. I have severe anxiety and PSTD, and the meds treat both. As a law student, I CANNOT afford not to have my medication. I've barely been able to leave the house, and my final exams are one week away. I have missed so many classes because I'm so scared. I filed a police report immediately and called my doc. She wrote me a new prescription for a fewer amount than usual and said it was fine. Humana, however, was a diff story.

I called on the 10th. Told them how important it is that I resolve this asap and get my medication, for all reasons aforementioned. The rep said she filed an expedited claim & that I'd hear back w/in 24-72 hours (by which time I'd already be in hellish withdrawals). I had no choice, so said ok. After hearing nothing, I called back in the 14th of April. Rep gave me the runaround, said she'd submit another expedited claim, with the same time window. Still, 10 days later, NOTHING. I have been on the phone with them all morning, and they are saying the claim was denied bc it was filled too soon. DUH, my medication was stolen. Wtf?

Humana has let me suffer for 10 days without my medication. I may have to drop a class because of poor attendance, and I can't focus long enough to get anything done, nor can I relieve my crippling anxiety. I am physically in pain from the withdrawals, I'm so sick I can't go to class. My final exams are in one week and I am INCAPACITATED because Humana REFUSES TO HELP ME. I can't get a refill until the 4th of May, by which times I will be in full swing of Law school final exams. I am living in HELL right now. Am being punished for being burglarized, which is punishment enough! I am disgusted that they would let someone SUFFER like this. SHAME ON YOU, HUMANA.

Humana Ins. Co. has got to be the WORST insurance company I have ever dealt with! The people who are suppose to assist you with any questions you have are not very knowledgeable and sometimes quite rude. And to top things off they will not let me see the Dr. that I've been seeing for the last ten years. Even though he is one of the Drs. on their list. They say he has too many patients already. They have to split the new patients up between the other Drs. My Dr. even called Humana and told them he would take me as a patient but Humana said no. This is taking away patients from my Dr. and giving them to a Dr. people have never seen before. Don't they realize that the Dr. that has been seeing you for the last ten years knows a lot more about you than some Dr. that has never seen you.

I received auto calls from Humana that starts with (without any identifiable notice) asking Yes or No questions. It is a common phone hack in my area of country to let scammers bill your phone. I called them and customer service rep was clueless and didn't understand why I was alarmed by their attitude.

I changed from Humana to Anthem on January first, 2016. Humana has continued billing me 71.10 dollars a month for prescription coverage which I have from Anthem. I have tried repeatedly to get this stopped to no avail. I have even gotten a new account number to stop fraudulent charges but Humana follows me. I have called them repeatedly over the last year and they pat me on the head and tell me everything will be fine-- it isn't. Today I called them 4 times before I was finally given someone who told me their stupid policy. The first three times I was told they were transferring me and they just hung up on me. I believe this is company policy to see if they can make you give up. For 16 months they have stolen 71.10 dollars a month from an old lady on SS. This is a company based in Kentucky, BEWARE!

It seems I can't cancel their stupid insurance without mailing them instructions which I did today. I was never told this before. I have been told that I couldn't cancel without proof that I had other insurance. I have asked Anthem to send me a letter stating the date I started and that I am still insured by them. I am going to go to war to get my money back. I would strongly advise that you never ever consider getting any policy from these Kentucky republicans. They do believe in getting your money for the billionaires. I would never have done any business with them if I had known they are a Kentucky corporation. I don't know the order number, I disposed of all that stuff when I was sure that Anthem was up and running. I have something called the PPD ID **. I hope this helps.

I have Humana Gold Plus with RX. I have gout bad at times and been on gout med as needed. Now they tell me that my meds for gout isn't covered under their plan, instead they want $628 for a 30 day supply. If I had personal or private insurance, I can get it for $15. What's wrong with this insurance company? I'm 71 and need these meds, but can't pay for them. Gout is very painful and these people don't care to help people but fill their pockets. What a shame, we seniors are being treated almost as bad as our veterans. Investigate before you buy or you'll have the same problem I'm having. Good luck.

I went to Humana for gap coverage between COBRA and Medicare, and now I will be poorer by $3,920 for an emergency room visit one month before my 65th birthday. Neither Piedmont hospital in Atlanta nor Humana deigned to let me know, though the salesperson was eager to sell me a policy, that Humana has no contract with the nearest hospital to me. No recourse now but to take Humana to court. It is fraudulent to solicit a customer without alerting him to significant holes he is likely to encounter in his coverage. Also, Piedmont was remiss to tell someone on a fixed income that he can afford to fork over 25% of his income to that hospital, because of Humana, is obscene. Both outfits make a mockery of Affordable Health Care, and so does the serpentine healthcare.gov. Come the revolution, bloodsuckers, guess what...

New CAPTCHA security blocks log-in for days. Humana web support says it's a known issue. Placed another "ticket" for correction. Not fixed. Have waited twenty-two days for official word on approval of out-patient PT for my wife post-knee replacement (VERY routine). Best we can get is informal word from Humana's outside contractor. Humana Customer Service, benefits, and "approvals" has no record of any PT being approved. Apparent breakdown between third-party contractor and Humana - several weeks duration and counting. Nice reps - very nice. Awful automated systems.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.
  • Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.
  • HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Heads of families, senior citizens, employees