Find a Health Insurance partner

Humana Health Insurance

Humana Health Insurance

3.8/5 (665 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Humana Health Insurance

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Humana Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

We move here in Sebring, FL. 6 years ago and signed with Humana Gold Plus HMO. Their plan allows for no co pay for Primary care Dr. They have many other items that are no deductible and also have dental, Vision and hearing plans. My wife have had many health problems in past 6 years and Humana has been good to us. We sometimes have to go to a larger city for Specialists. My wife developed Chronic Lymphoma Leukemia and her monthly drug bill is close to $18,000 and Humana has faithfully paid all but a couple thousand, and other help from hospital we received.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I have had Humana Gold Plus for two years. I have had many other insurances while working for the same company in the past. Humana Gold Plus seems to be very comparable to the others. Of course this is an Advantage plan as opposed to regular insurance I had when working. I really like the mail order pharmacy but if I had a life saving medication I probably would not trust the mail with it.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Since I've been on the "Gold Indemnity" plan, with Humana, for the past 3 years, I am happy to say the following. Humana has fulfilled my needs. They have been very communicable and they are a good company to look into for seniors. Having a supplemental health provider is important. This company has shown to abreast in current affairs and events in the world, world, caters to their members, for getting you the coverage needed, for the expensive cost and fees, of medicines and expensive doctor and hospital visits.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

This company has some coverage or perks I wouldn't expect to have such as I have been able to use like food allotment, transportation, when the drivers don't stand you up, over the counter medicine allotment to order from their pharmacy, but you will have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery, but these are good perks. There is also mail order pharmacy, but I don't like their mail order pharmacy, because they try to change the medication sometimes the doctor orders to another type if the one the doctor orders is more expensive. They don't always stay current with medications/doctor's orders or in touch with doctors.

They have trouble getting some medications or filling some prescriptions and it takes a while in fact several phone calls to make these corrections and sometimes to get your medicine takes up to 3 weeks or longer if they mess up. Also depending on which Humana program you have and if you have a secondary insurance in some cases you can get your medication free which is nice but I don't feel it outweighs the problems with their pharmacy.

Also they have dental, hearing, and eye coverage, but the dental, hearing and eye have a low amount you can spend, but because I am on a Medicare HMO some things you or your doctor has to fight with to get qualified for to do certain procedures even simple ones. For instance I have to take a shot every month and sometimes this is a fight because I have to have a nurse or doctor give me the shot, very simple issue that they don't like to cover, and of course some prices seem to go up every year especially medicine and for others I talked to co-payments and prices for coverage go up while some of these perks have been eliminated or have gone down.

At one time way before the pandemic they had a program where a case manager, I can't remember if these were actual nurses, they made house calls for wellness checks every week or two weeks. They eliminated this program and as a single senior I really appreciated this check up in person etc.. Now this is done by phone and mail and is so impersonable and annoying because they ask you the same thing all the time. When you had a case manager that visited you in person, they got to know you and learned your weak and strong areas and didn't have to always ask you some of the same questions. Some even took my vital signs at one time.

Once a year they try to send a doctor to your home but they do nothing for you, but write down your medicine etc.. I find this to be a waste of my time, my belief is they do this to see how long they are going to allow you to have insurance or at what price, etc...Some more unwelcomed things is they are trying to now incorporate psychological treatment only by phone.

In some cases this helps to be able to reach out to someone and should be used as an option available, but not to try to convert those that are in regular mental health care to convert to the phone only, because sometimes you don't know if someone needs help if you have not been able to check out their behavior or actions and I find this to be so wrong to limit mental health to only a phone call, but I do feel it should be an available option especially during times of crisis or like now when some people are shut in and it could also help seniors that don't get out anymore. Also another unwelcomed thing is they call for every little thing usually too early in the morning including when they do auto calls which they do a lot. They do not have an option to stop certain calls they do and leave others to continue that you want to receive, so in other words if you opt out you opt out of all calls.

Original review: March 12, 2021

My wife and I have Humana Humanachoice PPO. A wellness nurse came to our home and examined us and then tested us for any blockages in our upper body as well as our lower body. My wife passed everything with flying colors, however I had 99% blockage in my left leg and 93% blockage in my right leg. I immediately got my Cardiologist on the phone and then went to see him and one week later I had my left leg done and then three weeks later the right leg. No more swelling in my legs and I can walk with NO pain in my legs. Thank you Humana for caring enough about my wife and my health.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I saw my Doctor on 12/13/2021 and he told me to call Humana and ask for a Drug Formulary book. I have been on Xarelto and could not afford the $480.00 deductible Humana wanted. On Dec.14th I called Humana and asked them to send me a formulary book. Nothing happened by Dec.20th so I called again. The person I talked to said "the book was sent out on Monday". Jan. 2nd 2022 I called back and again was told "The book was sent out on Monday". Now I'm out of my medication and Do not see my Doctor until Jan. 19th. And as of this date 1/14/2022 I still do not have a formulary book to show my doctor the drugs that Humana will cover to help out with my blood clots.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Wow. We have Humana dental insurance through work. Unfortunately, most dental offices we looked at wouldn't touch Humana...said, 'no way'. One office said they've been trying to get off Humana's providers list for 2 years to no avail...telling. I called just to change dental providers so I can visit a different office for cleanings...called the # on back of my card. Went through prompts correctly, finally got someone...they looked me up and said they can't change my provider for my specific account... Someone else 'handles' my account (why isn't that # on my card then?)...they transfer me and the same conversation happens 3 times (yes-3 transfers) before I got someone who said they can actually help me.

So on my fourth person now...baby crying in the background too? Hmm. But nonetheless...they speak better English than the first 3 people I spoke with...which I tried really hard to understand. It's really hard to work with people that you can't understand on the phone fully. Honestly, I feel sorry for any dentist office that has to deal with Humana. Just 100% frustrating all around. 35 minutes on the phone now, and I'm still waiting for the rep to verify that changes are being made. I just don't feel like anyone cares about the end-user experience...which is why I'm writing this review.

Looked up somewhere to voice my opinion to try to save other what I'm going through. If they ask me for a survey...I'll tell them the same thing to help them improve. Currently on the phone, I get the 'thank you for your patience, while I enter the information requested to verify the change in providers'. 15 minutes of my phone rep telling me that every 30 second or so. Still on call...now 45 minutes into this call just to change my dental provider...none of that is being on hold, by the way. It's all 'working' with someone. BTW-The website says, 'easy to change dental providers online'. I tried that, the 'steps' they say to take to do that simply aren't on the website. Frustrating.

Summary: Sign up for Humana if you want cheap dental coverage that frustrates you AND your dental office. Personally, I'd pay a little more for a different company...ALL DAY compared to what I have to deal with now. Life is too short and precious to be pulling your hair out, beating your head against a wall in frustration with your dental insurance...just pay more, use a different company, enjoy your life more...live longer. Seriously.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

After verified identity, the staff are quite helpful. I really like the bonus gift cards for regular prevention screenings, and over the counter products. The prescription service may be a good idea if you want to store a bulk of medicine. Rides to and from medical appointments are covered. That's an essential service if you have no vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

The list of Primary and Specialists are a joke. Not many. They keep calling constantly with stupid messages, instead of providing answers to Questions. Trouble is, all of the Medicare Advantage Companies Stink. The deductibles are outrageous on needed services. For example, an MRI is a $190.00 Co-pay for You, and Humana pays $26.00. It is all one sided. I have a need for knee replacement, but the doctors are forced to give useless shots to the bone on bone knee that don't last. Then, to add insult, You have to go to Therapy for the knee, when nothing can be done to it. You have to go at least 6 visits at $35.00 co-pay each time. It's shameful. The lousy government, lets them get away with it.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

My parents, my wife and myself all had Humana this year. They deny service and drugs the doctors require for our care. All of which are covered in the “plan”. Doctors and Hospitals hate them! They are so arrogant they will let their clients die. They are guilty of elder abuse and I would love to get a class action suit against them, they are criminals! I’d love to discuss this with anyone.

Humana author review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information