2.01/5
Based on 135 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1023 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 13, 2018

I switched to Humana from Blue Cross PPO this year after asking my GP what he recommended. It looks good that there are zero payments but I have found the hard way my co-pays are huge. And example: I use the ** to treat a knee surgery. It’s a generic drug that I paid about five dollars a tube when I was with Blue Cross Medicare. Humana would not let me get the ** and was forcing me to buy the name brand $50 a tube. My pharmacy and my doctor appealed that decision and Humana came back with $45 per tube. I have found that Humana rejects almost everything the first time it’s submitted.

That is a pain and it also slows treatment. Another reason example: I have had six lower back surgeries in the last seven years. My last surgery was done by a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami Beach FL. After the last surgery he told me that he would not perform another lower back surgery due to the number of times I’ve had lower back surgery. Dr **, results were excellent. I did start having some sciatic pain in my right leg only and he had told me about a nerve stimulator that would be inserted into my spine and a control box lower on my back near my waist. That has done whirls to improve my lifestyle. Mount Sinai had charged about $11,000 for the procedure and Humana paid the hospital roughly $7000. Then I got a bill from Humana saying that my portion of the procedure was a little bit less than $5000.

Being on Social Security as you can imagine that is about a third of my income. I am concerned about my future medical needs due to Humana‘s minimum payments and shifting large portion to the consumer. Their phone service is not very reliable as well because you’re constantly being transferred and asking questions to a computer voice. I would give Humana at the most 2 Stars. I am also going to try next year to get on straight Medicare with additional coverage from Blue Cross Medicare PPO. Buyer beware. Not all the supplements are the same and if you’re going through an insurance broker don’t expect to get an honest suggestion.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Should find better agent to communicate with customers. This time I needed help to find doctor's list on the net and was connected to the agent with a loud water running noise in the background. So he hung up on me when I told him that the loud water running was interfered in the conversation to the point that he could hardly hear my answer. Could not find the provider with good reviews. Will consider change to a difference insurance next year.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My mother is in a nursing home and it's towards the end of her life. They want to send her to rehab so she can walk again. It to extend her life a little longer but Humana has denied that because the end result will still be the same. So they don't want to spend any money putting her to rehab because she still going to die in the end and I think that's pretty crappy. So they denied her paying for the rehab through the hospital which might have made it possible for her to walk and stay in her home a little longer before the end of her life. I don't think they should have the right to deny her rehab when it could help even though the end result will be the same. So just know when you're going to die they might not want to sink any more money into you because in the end isn't that what it's all about the money? Humana you should be ashamed.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Every month they take premiums out of my bank account. Then come to find out that I have no insurance. It was cancelled due to non payment. So I call. They tell me it's taken care of. Then low and behold the following month it's the same thing. Only this month when I call they tell me I did not pay for 4 months. I have the bank statement proving that I did. I faxed those in to them. They say they have no idea where the money went. Never had a problem before they changed to Humana. Total nightmare. The military SHOULD NOT be treated this way!!!

Original review: June 4, 2018

This "managed care" is a scam. We have no choice because everything must be "in their network". Translation: doctors with whom they have referral agreements. So if you've been under the treatment of a Dr for 30 yrs & he's not in the network, you're starting all over w/ someone new. Also, I needed emergency retinal surgery which they delayed for 2 days for authorization reasons. My sight hasn't been the same since. I’m suing them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: June 2, 2018

Had to call multiples times for the same issues with medicine, was in Process but no medicine, new Prescription but no medicine and no real resolution.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I find it rather curious that Humana Health Ins. (HMO) pulled out of Florida at the end of 2017 and strangely they claim they never received my final December payment and canceled my insurance leaving me with 7000.00 in unpaid medical bills. My payments the entire year were sent out via auto bill payment from my bank as was the last payment. The payment was sent to the same address as all the others however this payment was sent back to the bank by the post office as not deliverable. And by the time I called I was notified and called Humana my policy was canceled. I appealed thru their channels but it was not accepted.

Had a three-way conversation with a Humana Rep and my bank. My bank said the check was sent to Humana and was returned but that didn't seem to make a difference. So I'm stuck with a large medical bill and no recourse. Just called the Florida insurance commissioner and they were of no major help. Have others had the same problem in Florida with Humana HMO not accepting the final payment before they left the state?

Original review: May 30, 2018

Can't say one thing good about this plan and if you have their prescription coverage also... You're just screwed. It is the worst drug plan site ever devised. You don't pay a premium for this plan and there is a reason why. You get nothing for it. I pray I can stay healthy until the end of the year so I can get away from this plan. Their medications are filled for 3 months and the day you get it you better start the refill request so you can get your medications by the time needed. I am still waiting for medications I ordered on April 9th!!! And forget calling. You get some uneducated moron who will say, "I can help", listens to your problem then just passes you off. If you need a doctor's refill authorization forget it. Last one took my doctor's office nurse 4 times talking to those idiots to get the refill done. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Probably no use complaining to Medicare. This plan seems just want Trump would want for seniors, will kill us off faster.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was charged twice for my insurance premium. I was first told they would expedite the return, but that it could take up to 30 days. After 30 days, I called again and was told that it takes up for 45 for me to get the refund. They have already take out the next month's premium. I call on day 44 to be told that it will take another 5-7 days to get the refund.

I was double charged twice in April and they had no problem again taking out May's. I was told they could have just had the extra payment cover May's if I had just told them. I did! I was told that was not an option! I am so fed up with this and finally had to file a dispute with my bank because I was being charged interest. I have no idea what to do anymore. I am hoping to find a different insurance company.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Wow, where to begin! Tricare recently switched from Health Net to Humana (In the East Region). All the problems started after this. Health Net paid claims on time; their reimbursement rates were excellent, the customer service representatives were knowledgeable, etc. I rarely had to call them. Now, all that has changed. I’ve only had Humana since the Tricare change - 1/1/18. Since then, I’ve had to call them multiple times for inconsistent copay amounts due on identical claims; they had ZERO explanation for the discrepancies. I still don’t know what the correct co-pay amount is. I’ve received multiple bills from providers asking me to contact them because they still haven’t been paid. I currently have two hospital bills that I’ve not only had to call Humana about, but I’ve had to reassure the hospitals that per Humana “The claims were still in process.”

The hospitals had switched the bills from insurance pay to self-pay because Humana was taking so long. If I hadn’t called, they may have sent me to collections! Their reimbursement rates are way less than Health Net paid! A counseling visit was paid at $95 from Health Net, and Humana only paid $60. ER visits typically were paid around $450 by Health Net; Humana has paid $100! I’m seriously shocked at how little they pay. I wouldn’t be surprised between their low reimbursement rates; coupled with how long it takes them to pay a claim; that many providers will leave their network. I’m pretty good at reading E.O.B’s (Explanation of Benefits) forms, but Humana’s are confusing! The layout is terrible.

All the claims seem to be listed as one long claim. Where it lists what is due and where it’s applied is not clear! They even continue info from part of a claim onto the back of the next page which is confusing as hell when you have multiple pages! They need to fit claims info onto a single page at a time, and if it needs to be continued. CLEARLY list the Date of service, Billed amount, and claim number at the TOP OF THE NEXT PAGE! The phone system is a nightmare! When it asked me to type my zip code to verify who I am it always came back and said “the zip code you entered does not match our records” even though it was correct. And I verified it multiple times! Sooo frustrating!

Both the customer service representatives and claims representatives are not knowledgeable; at least based on my interactions with them. Customer service couldn’t tell me why my zip code didn’t work, they refused to allow my kids to have an online account because they’re under 18 - when I had no problems setting it up through MyTricare.com (Tricare stopped using it when all these changes occurred), and they weren’t interested in helping me. I wanted an online account so all claims would be easy to check the status and I could find them quickly. I seriously wish Tricare would continue to use MyTricare.com. It was so easy to use, convenient, and I didn’t have to deal with an insurance company!

Claims couldn’t answer my basic questions about co-pays; they put me on multiple holds when all I asked was the status of a claim; the only answer they gave after putting me on hold multiple times was “Since Tricare made all the changes, our systems are still carrying over... and it’s why things are delayed.” I’m sorry but that’s not acceptable! Our military deserve better than this! I want Health Net back! Humana is terrible!

Original review: May 11, 2018 I have been with Humana Supplemental Insurance for five or six years. Unfortunately for me, it is the only insurance Medicare supplement that is approved by my provider who I have been seeing for over 30 years. I frankly could write a book about the bad experiences that I have had with Humana. From hang-ups, to

long waits, to rudeness, and not answering certified mail. Not have they told me that my PCP was not on my coverage, they disallowed a bill from my dentist for and annual exam, stating that I did not have coverage. My PCP was on listed on my Humana card, and my dental coverage was paid in full prior to the effective date. It took me over 60 hours of phone calls and letters to straighten their errors. I could go on and on for hours about the problems that they have created through no fault of my own. They don't deserve the one star rating, that I gave them. It should be a zero.

Original review: May 8, 2018

HUMANA FRAUD. Recently acquired a plan with Humana, it is called Dsave. DO NOT BUY. It is a SCAM!!! This plan is not an insurance policy as such, it is a simple discount card that when you decide to use it, The service provider do not accept it, the provider may or may not accept it. It's buying a lottery ticket, so absurd, that simple. Go to the Humana website and look for the providers that appear on your list, when you call, the list is not updated, because the people you serve do not know that plan. Next step, call customer service.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I had started calling Humana in Oct '16 saying I'm noticing a double draft on my account going back almost a year. Since then, it's been a battle of misinformation. My refund of overage charges has either not been sent for approval because the rep didn't know to send it, told me to go to my bank and get my statements for those years since they had no record of double drafting me, my refund had not been processed by the supervisor for an unknown delay, multiple operators not making note of my calls. Yesterday, I called checking in on the status when it was promised it was "this time" being sent for approval (this was on 4/13 and to be cleared in 2-3 business days). It was never sent up the chain for approval, I told the operator I needed confirmation today and for her to call me back with it.

She never called me back and when I checked in this morning, yet again, a customer service rep tells me a check for $720+ was sent 2 days ago and when I tell them it's for too much money and I need to talk to billing, billing tells me they have no such note of a check being issued but in fact, it has never been sent in for approval and my call from yesterday was never noted yet for some reason customer service knows the rep's ID #. I'm promised again to get my refund in 2-3 business days and have even more confirmation in writing. It's exhausting. Healthcare and insurance are already a battle for patients needing anything from a dental cleaning to extensive surgery; this absolute lack of care from who are to be our direct connection to our caregivers is unnacceptable.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have had broken neck and broken back since 2000 my neck and 2007 my back in 3 places. I have my nerves cauterized every year and have found quality of life in the last year-and-a-half after 11 years of hell. In January I started with Humana HMO and have had nothing but pure hell four and a half months now. Firstly they have blocked my phone number. I've tried to call in for four and a half months and it tells me to enter a 17 digit. I have never received and it will not accept my phone calls.

My primary health care has referred me to two pain management doctors who both have told me to go home and come back when I'm not in pain. What the hell Humana? I feel trapped in your worthless HMO plan and will never ever sign back up with you. I have been trying to get a patient advocate. I was just hung up on three times today after finally getting through to Humana with a different number.

I regret not reviewing Humana as I have had pure hell for almost 5 months. All I'm asking for is my nerves to be burnt off like they have been for the last 3 years every year except this year. And also for a pain pump to be installed as I am so sick of this pill mill. ** government are greedy nasty uncaring people. You will regret ever seen the name Humana. It makes my stomach sick not to mention the horrible pain I've experienced since Humana has taken over my insurance Healthcare Medicare. Ugg. Horrible. Run far and fast. I will never ever be back with this horrible company or their incompetent pain management doctors who tell you to leave and come back when you're not in pain. What the hell? Signed disgusted with Humana in Sarasota Florida.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Most of those who take the initial clinical information are downright rude! No please, no thank you. The last lady I spoke to sounded something like this: "NAME! ID! TAX ID NUMBER! WHY IS HE THERE?" Horrible customer service! You have to repeat the same information over and over - each new contact sounds like they have no record of the previous call. The person I regularly review with is awesome. But, those other people need some classes on phone etiquette. Remember, Humana, everyone who calls your business is a customer! Please treat us as such.

Original review: April 9, 2018

This is not what we were promised when we signed to spend our adult life serving our country. Tricare Military Retiree insurance was good under Health Net Services, but that all changed without notice a few months ago. We were notified that there was going to be a change to Tricare as far as who it fell under, but not the drastic increases in all coverage fees and that's IF you can find a Dr. or Hospital that will accept your insurance. All Dr.'s and Hospitals are dropping the insurance and you have to drive 40 min or more to find a specialist who will still accept it. The fees have doubled, tripled and quadrupled depending on the service you need. All fees have drastically increased. This is not what I was told I'd have when I retired.

Everything was good for 4 years after I retired until this change happened. Why are there no news agencies covering this. Most of us retirees are on a fixed income and cannot afford this and those of us who are healthy enough to have a second career are having to work overtime to pay the fees. Also, due to the difficulty finding care now, military retirees are unable to be seen for serious conditions that may affect their life seriously or end up in death. We really don't know what we are going to do. I am working a 2nd career, but I am not healthy enough (because of my illness and injury related to military service) to work massive amounts of overtime to cover the recently added financial burden.

Please, everyone, write your representatives and news agencies. I am doing so and the more of us they hear from the better. Can't believe Congress signed this into effect. Wait... yes I can believe it, but it's not right. I didn't serve a couple years and move on to a civilian career and now well established and moved up in position to make good money and have good benefits. I, like many others, served my entire adult life since I was 21 years old and now am having to start all over again at an older age and failing health.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I spoke with a CSR on 4/4/2018 and was helped by Peter **. He was very knowledgeable and very helpful directing me to the correct dept to pay for my Humana bill at Humana Pharmacy. I was very impressed by Peter and am grateful I had someone on the phone who knew his depts. Thank you.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We have TriCare Prime Remote and Humana is our new insurance company this year. So far our experience has not been acceptable. I have an incurable chronic illness that I need treatment for every three months from my neurologist. My referral to the neurologist is good for one year and it was renewed in September of 2017. I saw my neurologist in December for the treatment and was referred to another neurologist because my old one was retiring. The referral was approved and I went to my new neurologist in January for a consultation. Humana paid for that consult and for my treatment in December. My treatment was to be March 26th, 2018. I got a call from the neurologist's office (3 days before my appointment) telling me that they cannot do my treatment because they have tried several times to contact Humana for approval and have not gotten a response.

I had already taken the day off of work because I have to drive 3 hours ONE way to my neurologist. (Only a few do this treatment in MI.) I immediately call Humana to find out what is going on. 1 hour and 52 min. later I still don’t have a real answer. First I am told that I do not have an approval to see the neurologist. (Even though I went to him in January and they paid for it.) If it wasn’t approved they would NOT have paid the bill. Second they tell me that they cannot see in their system that I went to the neurologist and that it was paid. I was on their website and signed in and took screenshots of everything they paid for and sent them the copies. They told me that there is not an authorization code on them. (They have claim codes on them.) Apparently we as the insured do not get authorization codes only the claim codes.

Well that’s two different things! So even though they paid, so obviously it was approved, because I don’t have the right code I have to get another referral. Third they told me that I had the wrong provider. What?! Even though on THEIR site the right provider is listed as my provider. (I gave them a screenshot of that also.) They tell me they cannot see what I see in their system. So first I had to get my provider changed. Then I had to get another referral, and wait for it to be approved (still waiting, 3-29-2018). Finally I have to have the neurologist send in a form for approval for my treatment. After it is approved I can make an appointment. So my treatment will be delayed until they have what they already had, but somehow lost on their side of the system. I can see just fine on mine.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My girlfriend is on permanent disability due to nerve damage in her legs. She has been on ** for over 10 years for the pain. When she first went on disability she was placed on Medicaid. She was then forced to go on Medicare and a private insurance. The private insurance she had to take was Humana. When she signed up she was guaranteed that there would be no problems with any of her medicines. Then Humana informed her they would not pay for her **, since it was not on their approved medicines list. So they forced her to take a drug called **, which no pharmacy in our area can get. Then she was told she had to go on Humana's mail order drug list, and they would send it to her in 7 days. Then after the 7 days and no medication, she called Humana and they told her that she needs prior authorization from her doctor, for a drug they are forcing her to take, and that her doctor does not want her to take.

So she got her doctor to send prior authorization, then the next day Humana makes her get another prior authorization because now Humana won’t cover the amount, so the doctor did that. Now Humana won’t send her the drug, nor the original. It has now been 25 days that she has been without her medication and not even able to walk or get out of bed. Humana has shown not one ounce of compassion at all. Every time she speaks to a person at Humana they give a new reason why she has not and is not getting the medication they want her to take. It is astounding how these insurance companies treat people and are allowed to. You can bet they don't have to go through any of this. Greatest thing is she pays for this insurance, and these people to treat her like this, great country we live in.

I've told her to contact a lawyer, and see if she can sue Humana. She got a paper from NYS department of health, stating that Humana had to for 90 days cover her original medications, if they want her on a different one, till they and her doctor can get it for her. None of these lets call them humans at Humana understand, they are taking her off a very strong narcotic without any weaning off period, which could kill her, but they still don't care. I only hope these people have a special place in HELL reserved for them. If anyone at Consumer Affairs can do anything please contact me.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Retired military since 1982. For me Tricare For Life managed by Wisconsin Physicians Services is wonderful. Never had a problem. But wife and children on Humana, is horrible. (Tricare Prime) Humana searches diligently for every possible excuse to deny our claims. Often have to seek help from local congressman to file claims. Result is loss of scarce funds for 100% VA combat disabled veteran. It is a disgrace!

Original review: March 26, 2018

The pharmacy gap period eats a hole in your monthly income when it is a set income. Which makes it hard for us to take care of both monthly Rxs and other monthly expenses, therefore something is going to go lacking, usually Rxs drugs.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Humana tried to start coverage the day after my daughter was born. And that first day is really expensive. It took about 20 phone calls to correct that little "mistake".

Original review: March 25, 2018

I have just joined Humana last year and this company is the best one that I have come across as far as getting things done and the coverage. The company out there cares for the patients in making sure that you get the right proper care. They do not treat you like a number.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I hated this insurance company. They never wanted to help a person get the right care, always tried to discourage you from getting help. I had breast cancer in 2009 and had to fight to get my supplies.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I’m very displeased with my Humana Part D prescription plan. I have been on the same prescription for 15 years through my work, Blue Cross. Now that I’ve turned 65 and changed to Humana they are denying my prescription! First they charged me 4 times as much, and I went ahead and paid because I needed it, the next week I received a letter from them saying they were denying and canceling that prescription! I called and got a robot like person to speak to and got nowhere. What a ripoff!

Original review: March 23, 2018

Have had this insurance for almost 6 years. Premiums good, not high out of pocket co-pay, excellent drug coverage. All my drugs which are generic are 0 pay from Humana pharmacy and free shipping. I CHECK EACH YEAR AND ALWAYS STAY WITH HUMANA. IT SEEMS NO CAN BEAT THEIR PRICES AND DRUG COVERAGE FOR 0 PAY.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Great customer service, pleasant, willing to listen and explain the best place to order my medicine from. Would stay with them only they no longer give the best cost value for me.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My good health has resulted in very little need for insurance coverage. When coverage was needed, Humana provided it without any problems. When my primary care physician reported that she was leaving Humana (she retired soon thereafter) it was not difficult to find another very good physician who continues my use of Humana.

Original review: March 21, 2018

The HMO has good selection of doctors and hospitals. I use a PA and can usually get in easily and have no trouble being referred if needed. Have had coverage for several years and plan to continue with Humana.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Humana is ONLY IN IT FOR THEMSELVES!!! They cover NOTHING and it is EXTREMELY difficult to discuss anything with customer service.

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information