Humana Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Humana sent me a letter stating they would no longer cover my ** inhaler. That is bad enough but when I called them to stop paying my premium because they discontinued my coverage I was told I still have to pay until October. How is this right when they are the ones that discontinued coverage. My doctor can appeal but why should he have to and are they going to double the price? Well Humana you might get your premium but I am headed to Canada where I can get my meds at a fraction of the cost that you charge. So long losers.

Don't buy Humana Ins. They send a letter saying bill is this amount then send a coupon book that is higher than the letter quote. Nobody can give you a straight answer as to why. Whoever is running the Mickey Mouse outfit better get this straightened out real soon. I am going to try again Monday 2/13/17. I'm done with them. They don't understand why BBB is not on top of this.

I get the same scripts every month for years. In January my pharmacist got an error message that I had received my monthly limit of 360 tablets of one of my medications and the script is for 90 a month. He spent over an hour on the phone with them and then I spent an additional 45 minutes but could not get it straightened out. I ended up paying full ($370) price with my credit card thinking I would get a refund later. It's now been over a month and I have filled the same prescription again for $7.17 just like every month except January for the last 10 years. I have called Humana at least 10 times and each time passed around from department to department and put on multiple extensive holds by each department. I just called again and spoke to 6 different people in 4 different departments. It was over 2 hours long and honestly don't believe I'm closer to a refund than before I called.

I filled out all the paperwork they sent me and mailed it back over 3 weeks ago. They are not all idiots and can't figure it out. They are trained to do this hoping that eventually you will just give up. They are obviously a bunch of scam artist that take advantage of their own customers in a time of need. What a bunch of scumbags. I would say they have spent more money on employee pay on this care than they saved by stealing my money but if you have ever called then you know the employees they hire for phone support probably only get paid one bag of rice per day. My supposed case number is **. By the looks of that number I would guess they get many complaints.

I am aghast that this insurance company can deny insulin to a diabetic. I have been a diabetic for 42 years, and have always had my medication approved by insurance. After retirement, I signed up with Humana. Lo and behold, they have STOPPED covering my insulin. How can they do this? How can a diabetic go without insulin? I can't afford the $987 I will have to now supposedly pay for my insulin. This is a travesty to me and all other diabetics. I didn't ask for this disease - yet this company has seen fit to deny my medication to me.

I will be having my doctor file a claim with this company, hoping to have it approved, and will start looking for another insurance company to help me out. What kind of service is this? Way to go Humana!!! ALSO, it is interesting that when talking to a customer service representative, the phone connections are so bad. I realize that these folks are not the messengers, they are simply doing what they have been directed to do, but geez - the customer service people then get testy when they can't get their point across to the patient because of a bad connection!

I have been paying for years and when I needed them they asked for all excuses. Even when I asked them to cancel they ignore and kept withdrawing from the bank. They should not be in business for dental insurance. Their customer service is valueless as they cannot take decisions. THE WORST I EVER SEEN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

While there are NUMEROUS reasons why I am disappointed with Humana my most recent experience tops the cake. They cancelled one of the doctors enrollment with them out of the 5 in my OBGYN office. They were not asked to do so, they made an error and her credentials were cancelled with Humana making her out of network. Therefore, after I gave birth to my daughter with, you guessed it, the one doctor they "accidentally" cancelled I am now stuck paying $1300 out of pocket because they refuse to correct their mistake. They even told my doctor's office it was a mistake on their end and it was being "expedited".

My daughter was born in July and it is now February of the following year. One of the customer service agents told my doctor to submit the claim under another physician who is in network at this time and guess what - that claim was DENIED. Luckily my husband's new job offers amazing insurance so I can finally break ties with this joke of a company. Thank you, Humana, for processing claims wrong, never fixing your mistakes, and for taking another $1,000 from me.

Do NOT buy Humana insurance! So far, Humana has deleted the one drug I need most from its formulary. And now that my prescription has changed, it has deleted that one too. When you call Humana and an hour later finally get to talk to a living person, they always tell me the drug I ask about is not on the formulary. So next time I'll just ask if there are 'any' drugs on their formulary. I doubt it. I believe the drugs most needed are the ones Humana gets rid of first. Just another greedy insurance company that wants your $$$ but doesn't want to give you any coverage. Hopefully President Trump can do something to make Humana accountable to those who are paying them but getting nothing in return.

My friend just called me this morning and said she was shocked that I had Humana insurance. She said her doctor told her two years ago to NEVER go with Humana. Boy was he right. I will find out more about all this when my friend calls me back tonight and we get a chance to really talk. My advice is to steer clear of Humana forever.

Attempting to attain reauthorization, submitted information required. Received a return callback stating "Due to the number of faxes we receive daily, was unable to locate the information, thus a NOMNC letter will be sent." I have proof the fax was sent and have the conversation recorded. Stated she had called to leave another fax (never received). Stated had until 2/2 to appeal. When I requested the NOMNC be sent today as they are required to provide a 48-hr notice, the date was changed to 2/3. It is Humana's responsibility to have faxes and appropriate systems in place to provide the proper services for their patients. I would not even rate this company.

After numerous attempts and phone calls no one was able to get me enrolled registered. I did get a payment booklet though. When comes to getting premiums they get that done. Humana's customer service is terrible. Use another company if you can.

Going through some of the reviews here I wish I had come here before getting CONNED by Humana. When I called to enroll for their HMO plan the salesman was very convincing and I was mistakenly led to believe that I had hit the insurance jackpot! The Humana HMO Dental plan that I enrolled in was supposed to cost around $20 each month plus a registration fee that I got to know of after I had agreed to sign up! The other catch was that I had to sign up with a Primary care Dentist from their network to realize the more than "200 benefits" which included a copay of $15 for regular visits, free X-rays and other procedures like extractions with good discounts.

I stay in a small town and I am within 5 miles of all amenities including more than 5 Dental practices. So it was a bit disappointing to find that the nearest dentist in the Humana network was 70 miles away from me. But with such great benefits I was not bothered. It looked worth it considering that an initial consultation at a dental practice in my town would set me back $120.00 and with my new Humana plan I would drive 70 miles and pay $15! Also I had to wait 2 weeks for the plan to be effected regardless of the fact that I had an extraction that I needed to get taken care of.

Anyway, on the day of my appointment I made the trip to my new Humana Primary Care Dentist and lo and behold just as they were starting the examination Humana sent in a fax with 7 benefits. I cannot even make this up, 7 benefits! As if that was not enough, getting the initial consultation done would cost me $106.00 using my Humana insurance and $72 if I used the practice slide scale which was 50% off for me. Luckily I had my payslip at hand so I managed to use the slide scale. I got my initial consultation and extraction done.

As soon as I got home and healed enough to be able to make words, I called Humana and cancelled the dental plan. The ease with which the plan was cancelled and the installment refund issued tells me that this is something they are knowledgeable to even though they claim that their contracts are ironclad and you can't get out. Now they only refunded the plan installment and not my registration fee. When I asked about that customer services gave me a Humana disputes mailing address and I sent in my letter complete with all the necessary documentation and waited for a response. About 2 weeks later all I got were 2 duplicate informational letters. At this point I realized that my registration fee was not coming back so I ignored and let the issue slide.

Then to add salt to injury a month later I get the same pieces of mail again! This time I called the number on those mails and told the saleslady that I didn't want to get anything Humana ever again in my mailbox because they have taken enough from me. The saleslady did her best to calm me and told me that it would take 40-60 days to get me off that list then offered to transfer me to customer service to find out the status of my letter. I thought why not after all I had been through their horrible calling system anyway, so I got transferred. At customer services they had the request but not the letter I sent in, surprise! The customer services lady tried to get me to send another letter seeing as the initial one was not received. I declined, not because I don't want my money back, but because I feel Humana has wasted enough of my time and money as it is... I don't send mail for free, I have to pay for it!

The short of it is this: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE BY SMOOTH TALKERS, KEEP AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! They make money by conning people through the registration fee because they know that once you realize their product is fake you will come back to cancel the plan. Unfortunately because of a confidentiality clauses all over their documentation I cannot upload that images.

Four dentists I've called do not take HUMANA. We pay a lot on premiums and now we're stuck with them for a whole year until open enrollment. In the mean time, I have to pay $218 out of pocket on top of our monthly premium because their coverage is so limited.

I am new to Humana's Medicare Advantage plan. The price and what it offers seems good so far. I've had enough problems dealing with them over the phone and internet to have formed an opinion about why this is happening. It isn't so much an issue with customer service skills as it is with their IT. I worked in IT for 43 years. It is all I did my entire adult life. When you've done anything that long you notice things that others might not who don't have your experience. Humana's IT systems are a mess and a huge reason for the disarray you experience when dealing with them.

After wasting my 40 mins on multiple calls to different department, they refused to authorize simple nebulizer treatment for my patient with acute exacerbation of her COPD. I was left with no choice but to send my patient to emergency room. What can a physician do if their hands are tied even to get simple life saving NEB treatments for the patient. This is so frustrating. And they all claim we need to reduce emergency room visits.

The name Humana "sounds" like humans are involved. (And, please pardon any poor typing here. My broken arm is not completely healed.) Placed a order in late November, early December to renew 3 Rx. Received calls from their "friendly" computer a couple of times saying one of the Rx had no remaining refills. (Hey, Humana: human beings cannot feel rapport with a machine that interrupts itself in mid sentence with some message like “Sorry, did not understand what you said!” Don't waste our time with the lengthy chatty stuff. We call for medical purposes, NOT to listen to a cheerful recording.)

One Humana human blamed that kind of interruption on me once since I was reading the label off the medicine bottle into speaker phone. She told me to stop using the speaker phone. With a cast on my arm; hold a phone to my ear with one arm and a drug bottle in front of my eyes with the other? Get a grip! (But with which hand?) Call my doctor's office a couple of times to verify the Rx was refilled. Used the online shipment verification to verify the drug had been shipped. (Computer bug here: Ordered 3 refills. Two did ship. The one that I verified by Rx# did not. The computer told me it did. So note to all readers: the Humana computer lies.)

Got home when the Rx's were nearly out to find 2 of 3 in my mailbox. Again the 3rd had shipped, said the computer. Tried to call a human at Humana but those go home after 11 EST. (Hawaii, better stay away from Humana!) Humana computers had called me twice for some reason. The innate intelligence of the software designers is clear when the computer calls in the middle of a family Christmas party and on Jan 2, 2017, both on Federal Holidays, when my Dr office was closed.

So a day after the last of the Rx was taken I finally reached a human at Humana who also confirmed the Rx had shipped and, since I was out, said should "ask a pharmacy for a sample". I don't know what State [or tree] that guy lived in but in WA that is against the law. Spending 30 minutes on the phone all he could say of use was the Rx had shipped and there was no charge. (Humana audio software designers: Why do you waste our time telling us there is a charge of zero dollars and zero cents, then tell us to enter a credit card number to pay the amount due of zero dollars and zero cents? Never mind, I'm sure the answer is to get access to our buying habits and get us more marketing SPAM.)

Audio medical software designers; Humana hires humans to discus drugs. The minimum wage yay-hoo above had no clue how to pronounce drug names. Put some pronunciation help into the software. (The poor yay-hoo put me on hold 3 times to ask for help. He did not get useful help, but he did try. My local pharmacies all hire experts.) Later the same day I reached another human at Humana. Now the Rx in question had not shipped and Humana could blame all my confusion on my Dr. Anyway, the time for selecting a new insurer has passed this year, but I hope my agent will find adequate reason in this adventure to replace this defective insurer. While this failed Rx process will cause me only discomfort, service like Humana's could kill someone. (If it happens I hope their heirs have vicious lawyers who can put an end to this kind of nonsense.)

Note that the average time I spend on the phone with Humana is about the same as I spend going to a drugstore for the same product. But it takes multiple calls to Humana. Humana touts this service as ensuring health, saving time and saving money. Saving money yes. Saving time no. Health no. Some of my drugs are to control blood pressure. Humana and Verizon are equal partners in raising blood pressure, slightly better at it than the IRS.

No one told me all year that although I was paying 23.00 a month dental insurance that my dentist was not in network or needed to be or there would be NO PAYMENT. I received a bill at the end of the year for $170.00 after nothing had been paid from Humana all year. Garbage insurance. Thank God I changed to United Concordia this year which pays in and out of network. I never had this problem before since my dentist charges no more than in network Delta Dental always paid him. DO NOT go with Humana. Read the reviews. I should have researched it more. Humana made a killing off of me and I have to pay an entire year of bills which is less than I was charged by Humana.

Waiting on the phone with Humana is a grinding teeth experience. Getting something accomplished is time consuming to the point that the last time I filed for something, it took eight months before they sent all the checks I had coming. They "required" send them information that they already had in their files (they read the information to me then asked me to send it to them). Doing something as simple as sending an email for a return label can take up to three hours. Being on hold can take up to 45 minutes listening to the same "auto information" so many times I had to turn on mute button. I would not recommend Humana ever, to anyone. It has been a nightmare from the beginning and the people they hire need to be trained properly before allowed to answer the phones.

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. CAN'T ACCESS THEM WITHOUT TIMELY DELAYS ON PHONE, WEBSITE IS NOT USER FRIENDLY. They give you information that is not correct, the agents do not know much and continuously put you on hold. I believe they are one of the worst companies to deal with. New members be warned!!!

Humana has a new tier pricing. They now charge $8.00 for EACH medicine for a 90 day copay. The subsequent expense is exorbitant. Yearly premium of about $22./ mo. plus for 90 day deliveries would be $32 per year plus the 22x12 or $264. $264 plus $32 or $296 for 1 year for 1 drug!!! This is unfair business practices. Just imagine if you had 6 drugs!! Needless to say I have filed a complaint with Humana. I did not complete my order.

The purpose for this review is to vent my disappointment in how Humana handles their customers. I suppose I should rephrase "customer" for the true customer is the State of North Carolina and I'm a fly speck on a dung heap. More and more doctors are getting frustrated with the insurance system so they are requiring the patient pay and get reimbursed from their insurance company - which is an impossible task. My story begins when I gathered three months of billing and took it up to a Humana Office. They filled out the necessary paperwork and sent to the required address.

I waited for two months before receiving notice that they couldn't process the claim because there was an error in the treatment code. A call to the doctor's office reassured me they would correct the problem with Humana. I received an email stating they worked it out with Humana and I would receive reimbursement at the end of the following month. It had been 90 days since I first submitted my claim and when the next Humana statement came they rejected payment because of lack of precise treatment code, which prompted another call to the doctor's office and assurances they would straighten it out.

A few days later I received an email from the doctor's office stating they talked to a Humana claims representative and she assured them the problem was solved and I would receive the money the following month - which turned out to be another rejection due to code issues - four months had gone by. December brought another rejection letter stating Medicare reviewed the claim and rejected it as an unwarranted procedure and I could write a rebuttal within 30 days. Within the week I wrote the reasons they should honor the claim and sent it off. January 9th 2017 I received a response from Humana stating my claim will not be honored because I did not respond to their first rejection within the policy's 60 day time period. It took them 60 days to reject my first claim and they dragged it out for four consecutive months before I received the rejection letter in December.

This is why we have the worst healthcare system among developed countries and our healthcare cost more. Insurance companies are for profit and the best way of making money is not paying claims. Think about it. They hold all the cards. Our system is so complicated the insurance company can find any number or reasons to refuse a claim and if get by the first reason they come up with another one until you finally give up - they win. This is why doctors are now requiring the patient pay and then the patient can file the claim - which is great for insurance companies. The patient, who knows nothing of how the game is played is monkey in the middle. There is a 99% chance the patient will never get paid.

North Carolina switched from Humana to United Healthcare, which is just as poorly rated as Humana or worst. So why doesn't NC find a better provider? Because the bad ones charge less and that is all that matters. So what is the answer for those who are retired? Since most of us lost most of our nest egg in the great recession and SS pays so little since they figure cost of living by leaving out the 6% increase every year in the cost of healthcare, which makes sense because the elderly have more health issues so let them find a way to afford it. Some months I have to decide between who I'm not going to pay so I can afford my Parkinson's medication. Why doesn't our representatives in congress address this growing issue - because they have the best healthcare taxpayer's money can buy so what do they care. They care more about Medicare going broke so let's cut some of the benefits.

I called on behalf of my family member who is hard of hearing. The phone rep not only was she really rude but she could care less of what he had to say. She clearly did not care about him or his concerns. I tried to explain to her what was going on and his questions due to he is hard of hearing. Just plain rude and very inconsiderate of his feelings. If this is how they treat people with disabilities!!! WOW. A bunch of lies and promises that they can't keep!!! Buyer beware!!

On January 3, 2017 Humana insurance deducted a major increase from my checking account without authorization. The increase is in excess of 50% of the agreed cost which was set up through the marketplace. I plan to check my contractual agreement with Humana to see if I have any recourse for such shabby business practices.

I purchased dental insurance that went into effect 1 Jan. Approved dentist won't let me make an appointment for January because Humana failed to update the insured listing for January. When you try to contact Humana, you have to do it over email and can't talk to a human being. In summary, Humana received premiums for months that I'm not allowed to see a provider. Humana provides NOTHING.

We received a letter of "congratulation" dated September 22nd. We received a notice of cancelation on Christmas Eve. This company is despicable and should shut down. Now I have to pick a new plan at more than twice my current policy and my medical expenses won't go to my next plan's something deductible. If they can cancel on you like this, then this is not insurance at all, but wealth redistribution instead.

These people at Humana are the foot dragging, bunch of liars and scam artists in the insurance industry. They take your premiums then give you nothing in return, fight you tooth and nail for referrals, and any DME requests are trashed. If it is out of network, and they can't get it in their network they will authorize an out of network purchase. When the supplier calls for authorization Humana tells them that "The purchase is not authorized", even though Humana provides you the approval to get the DME, and provide an authorization number then refuse to provide the supplier with the authorization to move forward, wait 2 more weeks after waiting 4 months for a Representative at Humana to tell you again that the supplier is "OK" to dispense, then it goes back around in circles starting with supplier calls and is denied...

So months go by and Humana is still foot dragging and making excuses why one person can't get the company to pay as the other person at Humana doesn't understand, and the next person sends you back to the start over, "what is it you need? How may I help you?" This will take weeks please hold (30 Min's again) OK send the information again, go back to the PCP he she needs to send the Tax ID, But! We have it already, we won't tell you this because we at Humana are "scum bags" ripping people off. What a hoax Humana is, as it is a "For Profit" bunch of "Scam Artists" this insurance company needs not to be allowed to provide anything to anyone. I would like to see Humana run out of the insurance business or have them held to a higher authority.

No one cares what Humana does but they need that Premium payment every month, as you get nothing in return. Humana Executives need to be also held responsible for employees hampering medical care. I have a viable prescription by a licensed Medical Practitioner for a DME product and all other requested information provided to Humana as requested and Humana a US Insurance Company still won't pay even when Humana provide Authorization. Humana denies the supplier when they call. Sorriest Insurance Company in the world.

For the past year I have had my doctors try and prescribe me ** or ** in the case of possible Narcolepsy. Each time your company had denied the prescriptions for lack of proof. I then have a doctor that orders a blood test for the genetic marker to see if I have this issue going on, which I do. Your company then DENIES coverage after the test is done in order for your needed proof. Leaving me with a bill from LapCorp for $475.00. To sum this up, your company requires this proof in order to get this prescription covered, yet you will not cover the test needed to hand over this proof.

It seems you know how to set up a scam for your customers and leave them high and dry. After speaking to one of your representatives I am told that I need to write a letter of appeal, then your company has 60 days to accept this appeal or not. While in the meantime I cannot get any tests done through LapCorp because of this outrageous bill looming over me. This impacts my well being in such a negative way, which is the opposite of what your company is supposed to do. This is unacceptable and completely unethical.

I was told today from your representative that your company does not do any type of genetic testing. How I am supposed to be aware that a simple blood test is not covered, which is absolutely needed in order to give you the proof your company asks for? I have had so many issues with your company. On multiple occasions your representatives have given me incorrect information, and at times I have had to pay for THEIR mistakes.

I have been given different answers for one issue at multiple times. Three times to count. And this isn't even for the issue related above. What is the point of even having to pay your company for coverage when I end up paying for things out of my own pocket while paying an outrageous monthly payment? I am sure this will be deleted, but I will be posting this warning across every media outlet available. People should know what they are getting themselves into when it is in regards to your company.

Have a dental policy which states it pays 100% in and out of network for 2 cleanings. However they have only paid 34.00 to date and have denied 168.00 still outstanding. Humana customer service says yes they see it and agree but state they cannot pay or make good. I must write a Letter Appeals PO box and state in detail the issue. God forbid this was a big dollar issue. Customer service does nothing. They cannot. The Appeals team does not accept emails or phone calls... If you buy HUMANA INSURANCE GOOD LUCK...THEY ARE USELESS.

I should have known I was facing a complete failure of a situation when a non-doctor Humana pharmacy authorization dept. rep REFUSED to cover my prescription meds for uncontrolled, intractable colitis - which I had just come from a doctor's [LNP] exam *for*. Instead of allowing my prescriptions (which were definitely on Humana's formulary & have long been prescribed for exact diagnoses) my symptoms and to be filled, the rep told the pharmacist to tell me to "take over the counter **". 90% of all subsequent RXs, from the SAME MEDICAL OFC, encountered some ridiculous runaround, refusal, and/or excuse on Humana's part.

Approximately 3-4 yrs ago, I stopped paying my monthly Humana premiums because I simply could not do so any longer (limited SSDI is sole income & I had NO other income source). Because I also cannot afford Medicare's annual and per-service deductibles (plus, sooo many doctors will no longer even TAKE Medicare, much less from a new patient), I have gone 100% without ANY medical care since the [supposed] disenrollment date; I am medically disabled including due to several chronic, continual medical problems, including high blood pressure and heart symptoms.

YET HUMANA HAS APPARENTLY CONTINUED TO BE PAID FEDERAL TAX DOLLARS FOR A *FORMER MEMBER* of Humana's (DIS)ADVANTAGE Plan - and Medicare premiums keep coming out of my benefits every month... for ins. I can't afford to use and which thousands of physicians no longer accept as "health insurance". To this day, despite no less than three written letters from Humana later, and over time through to the present, THEY INFORMED ME I WOULD BE "DISENROLLED". Each letter stated I would be covered by "Original Medicare" only, upon and after the DISENROLLMENT DATE.

Yet, they, YEARS AFTER DISENROLLING ME, continue billing me monthly for monthly premiums for insurance I haven't had or been covered by in appx. 3 yrs. Of course, the monthly payment demand letters also include an unpaid balance ostensibly up to the supposed date I was told I would be disenrolled from [i.e. dropped/no ins/no Humana coverage]. They do appear, however, to continue accepting the federal Medicare compensation based on me NOT being disenrolled.

I have lost count of the number of phone calls, pieces of correspondence, etc., over these years -- to have the matter audited, the actual past due balance calculated, etc. I LIVE IN A "ONE PARTY" STATE - thus, legally can and do and digitally record every telephone conversation possible. I have made detailed notes during these phone convos, including the never-ending transfers, calls which were disconnected on their end and so on. No one I get to speak with has any idea why I am still (they claim) shown as a participating Humans insured, or why the situation is the mess that it is.

I have gotten to the point that I have to point out TO THEM that *I* do not work for them, that 'keeping their books and records' is not *MY* job, and that if I were well enough to work I would not have ever been insured by them to begin with! THEY need to keep track of what letters they send out and when, why, AND SHOULD NOT BE DEFRAUDING THE FEDERAL GOVT/MEDICARE for someone they "DISENROLLED" YEARS AGO. The extra stress this situation worsens my medical condition and disabilities. THEY ARE ALSO REPORTING THE FRAUDULENTLY ASSESSED UNPAID PREMIUMS TO MY CREDIT HISTORY.

I am doing what I can to pull together all my notes, the applicable correspondence, and the numerous digitally recorded telephone conversations with Humana about the situation. THEN it will be time to make a comprehensive and documented fraud report to Medicare Fraud Division, all other applicable federal agencies, as well as explore what recourse I may have against them for blatant, intentional, continual and ongoing violations of the applicable Federal Consumer Protection and Fair Reporting statutes and Acts. PLEASE, PLEASE DO **NOT** anywhere Humana for any insurance need of any kind!

I came down with severe neck pain, dizziness, and nausea. I tried to get in to see my Primary Care doctor, but the soonest appointment was 11 days out so he instructed to me to go the Urgent Care to receive treatment. I had someone drive me because there was no way I could drive, but that ended up being a waste of time. When I got there, they asked for my ID and Humana insurance card. As soon as they saw that I had HMO insurance they said that they no longer accept HMO insurance and refused treatment and turned me away. I contacted Humana and they said that I was covered for the use of Urgent Care. I checked online for other Urgent Care Providers and 2 popped up as being covered under my policy. I called and found out that they no longer accept Humana HMO plans either. I also checked Humana's new enrollment HMO plans and they also show the Urgent Care Centers as being covered in the HMO plans.

So anyone new signing up will also find out the hard way that they will NOT receive that benefit that they are paying for. THIS IS CLEARLY MEDICAL BENEFIT INSURANCE FRAUD!!! I'm sure that there will be nothing done to correct it either! Corporate America is becoming more exempt from following any laws and more exempt from any forms of prosecutions, penalties, and fines. They dictate to you on which doctors you have to use, they perform surgeries on you and send you home the same day even if you aren't well enough to be discharged, and now they sell benefit plans that are total fraud. I was also looking into changing my insurance, but the enrollment period has ended, so I'm stuck with this fraud insurance for another year!!!

I'm writing for my significant other. After selecting HUMANA ICP as one-among-many poor choices for Medicaid "integrated care" in Illinois, we experienced nothing but glitz and sizzle and little in the way of actual medical assistance. My SO is home-bound and requires home-visiting medical services; we've found that Humana is totally incapable of adhering to its own customer manual regarding providing needed services if they are unavailable within their network. The client manual specifically states (was on page 27 of their LTSS booklet, IIRC) there would be no problem rendering services out-of-network when needed. Did they provide effective, if not immediate, medical services? Did they perform due-diligence to ascertain whether subcontractors were properly credentialed and trained to provide the services they billed for? Did we receive adequate healthcare services? No, no, and no.

Do they have a vast pool of medical resources (doctors, specialists et al) capable of providing the care LTSS patients require, especially for the home-bound. No. Is there anything in their client manuals that is fact-based? I doubt it. The past year-plus has been nothing but a frustrating, aggravating emotional nightmare for both of us. Not only did we have to endure three multi-hour conference calls with who-knows-who at Humana Corporate, but endless calls with the "case manager" (unhelpful, unsupportive, hasn't a clue) to attempt to obtain even -minimal- care, amounting to monthly 10-minute visits by an NP to write scripts. Great, but much more was needed.

Several hospitalizations later (due, we feel, to inadequate in-home care) Humana is dropping my SO's participation!! Our next step, if at all possible, is legal action, preferably (another) class-action suit, while we pay, or attempt to pay, out-of-pocket to retain what limited services she now has. HUMANA (an incredible misnomer) cares not for its subscribers but values the income derived from their membership, as do their stockholders.

They appear to have a very non-lean business architecture devoted to meeting regulatory requirements, denial of claims, and massive advertising, i.e. corporate momentum dedicated to self-preservation, not real, effective healthcare, regardless of any glowing reports by so-called healthcare quality-assurance agencies. I applaud the government's efforts to block mergers which would do nothing but increase healthcare companies' monopoly and recommend we all contact our legislators as we say in Chicago, early and often, until they have no recourse but to act.

I just read several unfavorable reviews on Humana and would like to submit a favorable view of Humana. I signed on to this plan 11-2015 after my husband retired and I had to get my own insurance. I have used this coverage many times, medical, prescriptions, hospital. I am very pleased with the coverage. I have had all items covered as they said they would be, I like the no monthly premium offered in my area, I am able to use all my same doctors. All in all this is great coverage for my needs. I do agree with the folks who say calling in is quite the trial. The CSRs are very willing and able to help but one cannot understand them and I can't figure out if it's my phone or their phone system.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.
  • Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.
  • HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Heads of families, senior citizens, employees