Humana Health Insurance

Humana Health Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Humana Health Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana Health Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: March 9, 2020

I had Humana Insurance through my employer when I went through 2 breast cancer surgeries. The hospital submitted billing errors. Humana went out of their way to correct the problems. My representative was caring and professional. My employer changed companies and I can honestly say I miss my Humana!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I cannot say enough good things about my experience with Monique when trying to get an expensive specialty drug that would have cost over $25,000 for a 2 month supply, which Humana ordinarily does not provide coverage for. Monique was able to obtain a letter from my Doctor’s office (Dr. Mark ** in Lincoln Nebraska) stating the necessity of that drug for my treatment and almost immediately contacted me to let me know I had been approved and that Humana was going to pay $10,000 per month towards the prescription. Kohll’ Pharmacy applied to the HealthWell Foundation for a grant on my behalf to help with the copayment and I was almost immediately approved. My out of pocket is $0. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I am on medicare and I have Humana as my insurance company. I think this is a fantastic company and I recommend them highly. They offer wonderful coverage - the pharmacy is convenient, reliable and exceptionally reasonable (most of my medications are free) and the medicines arrive by mail.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Humana does not have a good insulin plan at all. It is very very expensive. Do not go with Humana if you are diabetic and in insulin. I am on Medicare and with their insurance they still want to charge me $297 for one month supply of Lantus insulin, and this a lot less than the **.

Original review: July 27, 2020

Outsourced call center employees do not understand the healthcare system, do not properly address claims, hang up on you frequently (especially when it is a complicated question), and are in general incompetent and of no help. You can call them three times and get three different responses, maybe accurate, probably not; trust me this happened to me several times. This company is a scam, they don't care about their clients, everything they do is designed around creating confusion so they can pocket money. If they process something incorrectly and it costs you $1000, they know it is easier for you to pay and move on than hire a lawyer. As I am writing this, I have been hung up on twice now. My issue? I have a newborn who was billed by the hospital and they processed claims within the first 31 days of life under the newborn and not the mother. This company needs to be investigated for criminal actions and activities.

Original review: July 8, 2020

I Went to pick up my Monthly Insulin refill, Pharmacist told me it had been denied by Humana, Duplicate therapies was the reason, I had just taken my last injection the day prior so I was due, I called and spoke to Brittany who told me they denied my Insulin because I was also on **, been on both for at least 8 years, now out of the blue it gets denied with no prior notification, leaving without insulin until they can contact my primary via Fax, get back the authorization and get it approved, meanwhile I have no insulin, this is outrageous, To me, someone is messing up big time. will look to change providers, don't use Humana.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I’m 61 years old and I’ve never dealt with a company like this in my life. I truly wouldn’t know where to start, but I’ll focus on their customer service call center. They hang up frequently, keep transferring calls, and never follow through on what they say they will do. I’ve spent more than 4 hours on the phone for one issue and still don’t have a resolution. There is no one to talk to about it. I can’t explain how frustrating and discouraging it is. We have this insurance through my husband’s employer and I keep pleading with him to suggest a change. I have a file folder full of unresolved issues, and can never get any assistance.

Run, don’t walk away from this company if you have a choice. I don’t understand how they get away with doing what they do. I could write a book about all the issues we’ve had this past year and the hours upon hours I’ve spent on the phone with them. I’m sure they do it hoping people will give up and just pay the bills, which I see many have done.

Original review: June 27, 2020

Humana must be being run by a children's play group - the customer service is total useless and not fit for purpose. I covered myself with a dental plan in December 2019. In February 2020 I added my children to the policy - I was told the total premium would be $58.96 and I was charged the quoted premium the first month.

The following month I was charged $72.97 - no one notified me of the change. I called and spoke to Cawane in their customer service department - I was informed I had the wrong premium, but the billing on my account proves I was quoted and charged incorrectly. I want to be charged what I was told! Cawane told me he would listen to the taped conversation and call me back by the end of the week - of course nothing. I emailed and called and was told the issue was going to reviewed and I would receive a call back - again nothing.

One the 4th June I reluctantly spoke to Kemoi in their customer service department - I was told the policy was cancelled and I would no longer be charged. Everything was taken care of. I found insurance elsewhere at roughly the price Humana quoted in February. On the 24th June, Humana charged me again! I will copy and paste this review on every website possible. Very unhappy customer!

Original review: June 11, 2020

My mother is enrolled in this plan. There were only 2 neurologists in network to begin with (all others listed are neurosurgeons and the other neurologists only see children) 1 neurologist left the group and the other in not accepting new patients. My mother needs medication for her memory and we start the whole very long process of establishing with another neurologist and Begin the wait again, which is about 9 months to be able to get the in depth testing for dementia Alzheimer’s. So no one in network, all will depend on the next physician requesting a waiver to be paid as in network. Too many patients to physicians in the area as it is CMON HUMANA DO BETTER forget sending masks to your members and use those funds to find “ real options for in network specialists” for your members!!! You advertise benefits ... however make it quite impossible to access!!! We do not live in a rural area UNACCEPTABLE

Original review: May 14, 2020

My mother had a prescription plan with Humana. However, she died. She was issued a refund check, but she's dead, dead people can't deposit checks. I requested a refund and they refused to issue a refund for a premium my father paid. All attempts to contact them to resolve the issue have failed. They get to keep the funds and not provide any service.

Humana author review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information