Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

1117 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

My sister Vickie suffered from a terrible fall last year. Unfortunately, she went into a coma and was on life support for two months. Tristar Medical Center in Nashville gave her great compassionate care. I wish I could say the same for Humana Insurance. Ironically, my sister sold insurance for many years and was a top producer. The hospital informed us that Humana had denied any help with long term care, stating, "That she will not improve." A few weeks later she awoke and Humana's response was again a "DENIAL" for any assistance. In my book, this is called FRAUD. Please warn others not to purchase any policies from this company. We will be filing a complaint with the state of Tennessee's Attorney Generals office. A caseworker with Tristar Hospital told me, "Your sister would have been better off if she wouldn't have purchased that policy, we see this from that company all the time."

Original review: April 19, 2019

Needed a psychiatrist for depression. Can't find one within 50 miles. All names on their list either won't take Humana anymore, or never did or are rated very poorly. Guess I can't find help when I really needed it. Complained once, gave them responses from the doctors about a year ago. Still on the list. They just don't care and are very incompetent. HELP ME!

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I purchased Humana Military CHCBP as a COBRA after going off Tricare. It was sold as a product that "mirrored Tricare Standard" in terms of providers, coverage and rates. And in fact, that's how it worked for me from 2/2016 through 12/2017. However, starting in January of 2018, they moved their billing department from Tricare South to Tricare East. For the next 13 months until I disenrolled 2/1/2019, all my claims were wrongly processed as out-of-network because I am in Colorado.

Tricare West network providers were supposed to be considered in-network as they always had been previously, but the billing department at Tricare East never got that right. I estimate that I have been overbilled hundreds of dollars. After fighting with them for 8 months with nothing corrected, despite their repeated acknowledgements of their errors, I filed a grievance. I'm currently 3 months into the grievance process and still haven't received any refunds. My next step is Small Claims Court. DO NOT consider buying this insurance unless you're located in the Tricare East region.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I never used my dental coverage for over a year and got a cavity and called Humana dental and they called the dentist office and were told all Humana customers were on hold until May 1st due to Humana not paying their bills. My second choice was going to a clinic which I was not willing to do. Getting help from anyone was very difficult and sometimes very hard to understand over the phone. I spent hours over the phone, many, many return calls and still waiting to be able to go to the dentist that they chose. Would never recommend this dental coverage!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

Just called Humana for explanation of denial of payment to a service provider. Was asked for call back number in case of disconnect. 15 minute hold. Disconnected. No call back. And this is not the first time. Or the second. Was calling having received letters from Humana of denial of payment for services rendered when I had called on the phone for confirmation of benefits and provider in-network. (I always call 3 different times to get 3 different reps and go with what 2 out of the 3 say. The website is no guarantee of accuracy.) This is the last time. Now shopping for new coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: April 14, 2019

Switched from one provider in Humana Gold Plus to another due to incompetent nurse practitioner and lack of professionalism. Loved my new doctor after one visit which included discussion of treatment for pre-diabetes. Agreed to try a statin when she told me she would be fired if she didn't prescribe one due to high cholesterol. Received a call one week later from nurse advising medical director was ordering me to take 2 ** which was twice the dose prescribed by the doctor and 4 ** which was 4 times the dose prescribed by the doctor.

I told them I quit taking the statin because after 3 days of taking it I was weak, disoriented and had muscle soreness so severe I could barely walk. I was also having severe stomach upset from the **. I decided to get more serious about control of carbohydrates and cut back to 100 to 125 grams per day. Blood sugar is now usually below 100 fasting and estimated A1C is 5.3 with no meds. I cut back on sodium as well. Blood pressure is now 117/74 with no meds.

To hell with the incompetence of drug pushing, lazy physicians. Plan to find a new insurer and new doctor again. I won't tolerate a medical director who has never spoken to me over prescribing drugs which I don't need. My personal doctor knew my goal was to get off drugs through diet and exercise. She knew I exercised 90 minutes 6 times per week and that I log my food. Such incompetence by the medical director could have killed me. I've had blood glucose as low as 66 since modifying what I eat. How low would it be with 2000 mg of ** per day?

Original review: April 12, 2019

My doctor ordered a prescription through Humana and Humana kept sending emails that this order required my approval. Five days later no answer to any email and final a Humana Rep said the site was down and maybe my doctor could give me samples of the blood pressure med till they got it together. The next rep ordered the meds and said it would be shipped overnight. I next find out they are out of this prescription and will send it when they get. Did arrive, so next Humana Rep sent me to CVS for the prescription, which a $15. This was after speaking to eight persons at Humana. 10 days later. They simple are not functional.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Despite repeated attempts to tell Humana I am not interested in their dental plan, they continue to harass me with unwanted mailers. I have asked them to remove me from their mailing list but the junk mail just keeps coming. After reading the reviews of this company, the people I really feel sorry for is the members. Thank goodness, I'm not one of them. ;-)

Original review: April 2, 2019

My nose doctor told me I need surgery. Humana has yet to approve my doctor request for surgery because I don't want to work with a nurse. I am not 50 or older. They don't care about their clients at all. Fyi all.

Original review: March 27, 2019

It is ok and health insurance is hard to get and the companies don't do all that they should for their clients or customers... Health insurance is very expensive and it doesn't cover nearly as much as it should.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I could probably go on forever with how horrible Humana has been since the government has switched the Tricare North region under their care. My last pregnancy I had multiple doctors appts with the same doctor, at the same location, every time. My base messed up my active duty status (their fault) and it took almost a year to get corrected. Unfortunately, I had an ultrasound (SAME PLACE AS ALL THE OTHERS), during the timeframe I was shown as not active (when I was). It took a year to get Humana to finally acknowledge and approve my claim. Only for some reason, they only paid half of the claim. I'm active duty military and part of my entitlement is full coverage so there is no reason why they should only have covered half of it. I gave up fighting that battle as it no longer became worth it (couple hundred down the drain...)

My daughter had a doctors appt (same doctor she always sees) that wasn't covered. I had to pay this bill out of pocket, then go back and file a claim personally through Humana to get it reimbursed. It eventually did get reimbursed but this should have never happened to begin with. 3) I've had multiple other claims denied that required phone calls to get corrected. This makes no sense. My status hasn't changed. My doctors office hasn't changed. So why do I need to call to make sure this company is doing its job?

The most recent, my husband received an approved referral for an MRI. He gets the MRI where he is approved to go. For some reason, the billing dept of this company has a different ID than the hospital he went to and now Humana once again is denying our claim. This brings me to my next issue, I have sent the required form to speak on behalf of my husband with them multiple times. Somehow they keep losing it. My husband does not have a job where he can easily make phone calls so I am the only one who can handle this. Half the time when I call Humana, they can't help me because they "dont have the form." There is no organization or consistency with this company. HORRIBLE SERVICE. Never had any issues with Health Net. Humana just keeps getting worse.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was ran around several times from this insurance company for their HMO dental plan. I can't believe that a business as big as this (maybe that's the issue) just runs people around. They made me wait two days before being assigned to a dentist and then me and the dentist's office kept waiting for them to assign me. Wasted about 45 minutes each phone call with Humana. If it wasn't for my school paying for this company I would not have them. I will be seeking out a new company after my insurance is up in June.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Not only is it completely frustrating dealing with Humana on the phone but the amount of confusion they intentionally cause is incredible! In my area they sub my coverage out to another company, the sub company is great but they dont share information with each other. So if I want to see a specialist I have to get approved by a company that I never chose to be involved with. When it comes to prescriptions, forget the fact that your doctor completed medical school and sees you in person in his or her office because Humana will decide what medications you can and can't have.

Your doctor might write a prescription for you and Humana will make your doctor jump through hoops and try other medications that might not work as well or at all but in order to approve the first medication you'll have to try 2-3 others first. Someone with a GED or high school dropout has more authority over your medical care than your actual doctor, SCARY!!! Even if it costs a bit more somewhere else I strongly suggest NOT choosing Humana.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Worst insurance ever. Half of the customer service reps barely speak English. I finally got fed up with one very rude person who simply could not speak the language. When I asked to speak with her supervisor, she refused to put me through. Another rude rep put me on hold for almost half an hour. My phone battery ran out, so I lost the call. This company covers next to nothing, and whatever claims are submitted, ALWAYS come back as being charged more than what Humana believes is reasonable. We had a $5,000 deductible with a $7,500 family limit. Two years in a row, our out of pocket was in excess of $15,000.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Humana has included very good insurance support for myself during this past year. They also have included few & higher options compared with other insurance companies. But negative activities unfortunately being included for myself, was not including enough of medical Drs within my area while including Neurology. I am also emphasizing that few telephone representatives were unfortunately overseas or speaking improperly within our English language, that also hurts me a lot.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I will change my insurance away from Humana during next enrollment. I have had far too many difficulties with them as compared to other carriers. I will pay much more to a different carrier just to get reasonable service.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Have a large brain aneurysm, so no prior authorization for surgery required. Able to get surgery within 7 days. They sent me 7 days of meals, called and checked on me on day 3. Paid the bill within 45 days. I was terrified over the whole issue of this type of surgery and costs, but their handling of it was A+. My costs were reasonable. Thank you Humana.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I spoke with at least 10 people for 3 hours to simply log on to my account so that I could print up my cards, which I never received in the mail. I was met by rude technical assistant personnel and no one was able to help me. One person even tried to use the "I'm losing you" "hello are you still there". Mind you I was not on a cell phone - how lame is that. Horrible service. If I could cancel my plan on today I would!! I will never recommend Humana Vision to anyone and I will be changing my service when I am able. Don't waste your time with a company filled with people who can't or won't help!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have waited two weeks for authorization of a sleep study. In the meantime I have had to sleep uncomfortably sitting up in my chair so that I don't cough as much.

Also, I got a bill saying I had not been authorized to go to a neurologist so I am responsible for the full payment. I have never been seen by a neurologist. The primary care doctor's office tells me they have more trouble with Humana than any other insurance company.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I called Humana to see if I need a referral. After putting in all the information and waiting for over 10 minutes for the process, opps can run it. Ask for a representative, finally spoke to someone and was told no referral needed. Asked for benefits line, sent me to rx benefits. After knowing I was calling about a surgery with my specialists, she goes through everything and "Oops can't help you. Only rx benefits. Let me transfer you." I get transferred to someone else which I think is the benefits for providers instead because they were talking and hitting buttons on the phone like crazy. I asked them to stop hitting buttons, "Was not me. I was on speaker phone," and then they hung up on me. This is after spending over 40 minutes on the phone and know I have to start all over again.

Humana has never been good about getting to to the correct person and once you get to someone you have to give them everything all over again just to be told, "Sorry wrong department." Maybe they should pass the persons information along. How many times do I need to verify my information to the wrong department? It's not that hard.

Original review: March 4, 2019

My mother was contacted by an insurance agent about a cheaper insurance. All that she was told was that she would save $120 a month. Her supplemental was $160.00. She signed up for this not knowing or having it explained to her that this was not a supplemental insurance. She was recently hospitalized and this is when we learned. Now because of this she has not supplemental and left with a copay on her hospitalization. Do not get this insurance.

Original review: March 2, 2019

My elderly mother has been scammed by Humana of Tennessee. She had the best insurance available for her age through my Dad's retirement plan. WHICH HE WORKED LONG AND HARD FOR! During open enrollment with BCBS of Tennessee we made no changes to her plan. She went to the doctor and they told her she no longer had BCBS. She had Humana. She said, "I don't want Humana." She has no recollection of talking with or communicating with Humana! They say they have her electronic signature. She does not own a computer and could not even log on or turn it on if she did!

My Dad's employer refuses to let her come back to her previous plan because she dropped them...which she did not! They want proof from Humana about her enrollment. Nina from Humana says they cannot provide proof of her enrollment information or her electronic signature. Medicare says they should be able to email both or send through the mail. I have faxed proof of consent to release her info to me...and got confirmation that it was received. I am also on her online account...which I created for her and Nina says they have no record of either!

We have filed complaints with BCBS, Humana, Medicare and The insurance Commission. There is an ongoing investigation as of now and the Insurance Commission has told me that it is out of their jurisdiction to contact our local Senator due to my Dad's employer being Fully insured. Humana refuses to tell us if someone came to her house or if they enrolled over the phone. They also have a PCP listed that she never been too. Her coverage with HUMANA does not even come close to what she had...so why would she change??!! If they had nothing to hide they would provide her with the information as her Medicare Rights say they should!! There are zero stars for their rating!!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

When I moved to Ohio in September of 2017 I had to change my Humana plan. The sales person on the phone asked if I was a veteran. She explained that the plan for veterans was better for me than the plan I had before my move. She asked if I had dentures and explained that because I did the plan offered "a free denture reline once a year. Towards the end of 2018 I decided to take advantage of this option. Upon giving the dental office my Humana card they provided me with an estimate due to my coverage that showed that everything was covered completely. AFTER the reline I got a bill from Humana showing my "free" denture reline was only going to cost me $350.00. In the fine print that was not explained in any way it states that "a free denture reline is exactly "a" one plate, not upper and lower. They were also considerate enough to pay for the cheaper of the two plates.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I am a type 1 Brittle Diabetic. My prior insurance company, which was also a Medicare plan, approved my insulin and pump. At the first of the year I switched to Humana. First off they denied my insulin, a prior authorization was done and it was denied again. Then they denied my pump supplies. At this point not only was my doctor's office working on this, so was I. I am going on almost 3 months now with NO INSULIN! If it wasn't for My endocrinologist and her office supplying me with samples, I would be dead.

Also Omnipod has sent me a few pods to help, need a new one every 72 hours. Humana was NOT contacting my Doctor's offices after repeated calls to find out about the appeals. Their denials are untrue! What I was needing has been approved by Medicare, and I was receiving all this before Humana. By suggestion by 3 different medical specialists. Change insurance companies ASAP! Type 1 Brittle Diabetic, and denied insulin needed and pump supplies. Reason for denials have been proven BOGUS! What they are doing is criminal! Yes, everything documented, so if I die because of this, my family has a good lawsuit! They want to play Doctor, they better have Malpractice insurance. I just don't want anyone to have to go through what I am. Just glad Arizona Endocrinology and Omnipod company are helping me out, keeping me alive actually, till March 1st when new insurance kicks in.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I've been with Humana 8 years and never had 1 problem until now. I order all 5 of my meds 90 day mail order. Their new policy is only 30 day max supply of ** which I will need the rest of my life due to severe anxiety. That makes me pay 3 copays of $17 ea month instead of $19 for 3 months. I'm on a fixed income and every $ counts nowadays. They have figured a way to make 3x as much...what a shame! I now get 180 3 month supply from Walmart for $16 using GoodRX.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Company doesn't pay claims. Company doesn't answer the phone (when they do they are people who don't speak clear English and the connection is poor). No matter what question I have I never seem to be in the correct department and cannot call this company without spending at least an hour on the phone, of this hour I spend 45 minutes on hold or TRANSFERRED. Employees don't know anything about insurance and have a million excuses for everything. Pay your claims.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Rec'd a call to have expired RX refilled. had to give all information to automated voice. Waited for rep, explained that I need to update DR info as I have a new Dr. After giving all info again, she said she couldn't do it and had to transfer me to another Dept. Transferred, gave all info and that person said she couldn't do it, that I had a different group plan so she would have to transfer me. Waited again... on phone 23 min, got disconnected. They had my number in case disconnected, but didn't call back. Got on line to try to change Dr. info. "Chatted" typed, with rep. after typing for another 20 min, she said she had to transfer me. I told her my Dr. information and asked her to contact whatever Dept needed it, that I was finished after being on phone and computer for 45 min. Unbelievable that they couldn't just take the Dr. name and put in in computer. AND one of my pet peeves is that you have to give your information over and over again.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

TRICARE has now a contact with Humana for all off base referrals. I got a referral from my doctor (military base) the middle of December 2018. It is now end of January 2019 and I am yet to be seen by a specialist. Humana keeps denying my referral saying my info is incomplete. My doctor and nurses have been sending information after information in to Humana without success. I have been calling Humana’s customer service. The people who work the phones are overwhelmed, rude and noncaring. Humana is by far the worst choice TRICARE could go with.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

On January 21, 2019, Enrollment Department trainer, Rebecca **, in Tempe, AZ, used live patient records (mine for instance) instead of demos to train enrollment department representatives. I discovered this when I received an unsolicited welcome to the plan. I discovered that they had added a physician's name, whom I never heard of, and a powerful drug, which I do not take! To my records. Several hours after being notified that they did this, they had done nothing to remove the offending employee or audit their records to see how many others' private medical records had been exposed without consent.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

You know what they say, "the bottom rises to the top," as in SCUM. Just check out the contacts at their "bored", oh, I mean, "board" of directors, and try to email them, you can't now... Last time I did about their non-payment of my claim, after several calls to their ehmmm "customer service" folks (that of course leads to delay and constant frustration), I was called back by more than a hidden threat, as the man said, our "business model," was to my distaste. Don't let the fancy credentials fool you, this group is profit minded, that's it, are you kidding me? They don't even try to hide it now... It's out there.

Today presented yet another fiasco, they owe me 100.00 for a 200.00 claim, and I got the runaround for over 1 1/2 before giving it up (but not without a fight, let me tell you). They have trained monkeys working for them; not that they aren't already stupid, but trying to reason with a stupid person, who is trained to act more stupid, that's more than an exercise in futility, now isn't it. I just emailed their corporate counsel, who's also an MD, as he is the only one listing an email address, lol! I expect more threats of intimidation, the greedy creeps of the world unite under such as these. All the best.

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information