Humana Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I filed a fraud claim with Centers for Medicaid on behalf of my 85 year old mother and the Physical Therapy she never received. Humana was to investigate and answer the claim. It has been two years and I am still getting bills from the provider. Every time I call Humana I get a different person or State. In June 2016, Robert ** in the Kentucky office sent a letter saying my Mom's liability was only $206.71 (which I paid) of the $1100.00 billed and the claim was to be settled.

It is now March of 2017 and I am still receiving monthly statements for $718.00. When I spoke to Robert ** today, he mocked me, talked over the top of me, and laughed at me for thinking this is fraud even though he already indicated a year ago there was no liability. When I asked to talk to his supervisor, T.J. **, he again laughed at me. This is the most reprehensible and unprofessional behavior I have ever experienced in my entire life. My Mom just passed away a few weeks ago and this is how Humana is treating me.

I have called and talked with ten different people in Member services, HR, agent services, sales department, agent support, customer services and market support for Hillsborough County FL and I honestly can't remember who else trying to find my AGENT. YES, silly me I lost her number and address. But I thought someone somewhere in this maze they call Humana Health Insurance would be able to find the insurance agent that sold me my policy. Wow, was I wrong. It sure is a sad situation when they (Humana) don't know how to reach their own agents!!

I called to cancel my Humana plan in November 2016. I was told that all I had to do was not pay it. The representative said it would auto cancel. The person on the phone then asked if there was anything else they could help me with, I said no and hung up. It's now March of 2017. I'm still getting emails from Humana about my invoice, which is now apparently at 1300 something dollars. I contacted them again, to make sure my plan was canceled. They said IT'S NOT!! Apparently I owe all of this money, when I already tried to cancel my plan. I've had a different health insurance provider for months through my work. I'm livid, and I wish I would have recorded the original phone call. If that would even do anything..

I am currently enrolled with Humana's short term disability plan at my place of employment and I have been a member since 2011. Bi-weekly, premiums are being deducted from my payroll, as planned and as agreed upon per our contract. As of November 2, 2016, I had injured my left wrist requiring me to go on medical leave from work. As a registered nurse, my responsibility requires a lot of use of my hands, from chest compressions, spiking IV bags, heavy lifting, and the simple task of opening medicine packages to obtain a tablet and computer/typing skills. All of these tasks require the use of two hands and because of my injury, I was restricted from using my left hand.

I have followed all the steps necessary. I visited my primary physician who referred me to a hand specialist. I got the MRI done that was ordered and as a result, it is evident that there is a very high grade tear, near full thickness tear in the triangular fibrocartilage complex - as Dr. ** (hand specialist) has put it "the cartilage is hanging by a thread", which is supportive of all my symptoms - numbness to my left arm and pain to my left wrist. I have submitted my claim to Humana. All paperworks required have been filled out by myself, my primary physician, and by my place of employment, Dignity Health. Humana requires a copy of my job description, which was also submitted by Dignity Health HR.

By February 2017, my physician extended my medical leave due to the unresolved pain. Per Dr. **, the healing period for a torn cartilage will be approximately 6-8 months. This short term disability insurance from Humana is a supplemental insurance I decided to obtain back in 2011, in case of unexpected situation such as this. I wanted to be financially prepared for these unexpected times for myself and my family given that I am the sole provider. Now that I am in need of this coverage, Humana has me jumping through hoop after hoop. It has been so much of a hassle to collect what is rightfully mine.

I paid for this extra benefit out of my own pocket. My disability has been extended by my primary physician to May 2, 2017. After submitting the numerous amount of paperwork stating this recommendation, Humana still requires me to submit my doctor's notes with every visit before approving it in between visits. Fine, I have complied. I have no problem with it. I have turned in all documents. My next appointment with my physicians is on April 25, 2017, but Humana will only approve my disability only up to April 10, 2017. Go figure.

Until I can submit my doctor's notes, they cannot pay me, according to Vicky and Dawn of Humana Claims Dept. MY NEXT APPOINTMENT IS ON APRIL 25th, WHAT DOCUMENTS DO YOU WANT ME TO SUBMIT? THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!! I have submitted all documents supporting that my injury is legitimate, I don't know what else is needed. Shame on you Humana. You are unfair and have clearly stepped over your boundaries!!! You have notes from all medical experts, my physicians and MRI results. What more do you need?

Just got off the phone with Humana regarding my health insurance. My question for them was why do the providers in my area keep dropping Humana and no longer accepts them for payment. I know it's not because I don't pay my premiums. I do. Even as they have risen over 30% in the last couple of years. Is it their goal to just eliminate all health care providers while racking in our premiums? Customer service hung up on me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

I was disabled and chose Humana for my insurance company. After several years I was able to work part time and I picked up a little supplemental policy that covered $6000 a year with $6000 deductible. Now Humana wants to call this new policy primary and them secondary. Humana is over $200 a month and the Blue Cross is $80 a month. Humana refused to pay for X-rays or anything else since they are claiming to be secondary now. Worst company I have ever dealt with. Do not use as their coverage is no better than Medicare primary which cost a lot less.

Words can't describe the rage inducing, incomparable, 'Twilight Zone' experiences I have had with these people over the phone. How many numbers do they have? I spoke with probably 13 different people over the course of an hour, called at least eight different numbers, got transferred over a dozen times. Got zero answers - no wait I got several idiotic, incorrect answers. It went something like, "Oh you're on a supplemental plan," "Oh you're not in our system at all," "Oh you don't even have a Humana ID," "Oh here is your Humana ID," "I can't help you with that let me keep transferring you," "Oh if you move then you're probably not covered in your new state (WHAT), yep NC is not covered (this wasn't even my question)," "Let me transfer you again to see if you can be covered in your new state," gets transferred yet again, "Hello how can I help you with getting you information on our out of network service?"

After telling the newest woman I was not interested in out of service information and was just told my plan would not work in another state, she helped inform me that yes, it would work, and I needed to be transferred back to answer my original question. Next, "Oh now you want to cancel your plan? You have to wait a year." And all this after navigating their automated phone system every time someone new got on the phone or I got pawned off to the next incompetent idiot. Kudos making an automated phone system navigation look like taking a trip to Mordor and JUMPING INTO AN ACTIVE VOLCANO WOULD BE MORE PREFERABLE. And if this review is too chaotic and jumbled to comprehend then you are getting a small taste of what it's like having to deal with this... this absolutely EVIL, god-awful company. RUN AWAY.

I have been seeing the same dentist at the same dentist office for 24 years. I have had Humana Dental for the past 3 years. Last year I had a bill that was partially paid. The reason given for not paying in full was the provider was out of network. This dentist was always in network before, so I contacted my dentist office. The dentist office explained that this had happened to all their clients with Humana for no apparent reason except that Humana decided to drop him.

Several months and phone calls later, Humana re-instated the dentist giving no reason for dropping him in the first place. The customer service is apparently farmed out to an overseas call service. I had a poor connection and asked for a call back that I never received. I called a third time in one day and after explaining my problem, my call was mysteriously dropped. After calling the fourth time, I was put on hold for over 5 minutes during which time a call came into my phone from a Kentucky exchange which turned out to be a Humana representative. I am now waiting for resolution which I have been verbally promised.

I signed up in Dec for a policy. I paid the bill, received all of the paperwork, insurance card, etc. Went to the doctor last week & they said Humana can't find you in the system. After two days of conference calls w/ Humana & Marketplace they cannot straighten this out and are making me wait until Marketplace sends them more paperwork. Even though Humana has accepted my payments and posting them SOMEWHERE! This makes no LOGICAL sense. Can someone out there help w/ this? I called the corporate office and they refuse to let me speak with anyone. I sent a complaint via their contact us link on their website and have heard nothing. Marketplace called today and said I need to call back tomorrow about this. I would like to go to the doctor now & do not have the $ to pay them up front because I just lost my job. Can't anyone recommend what else I can do? Humana has received a $1,000 of my money so far.

Two years ago, a check to me from Humana was stolen from my mailbox. I have been trying to get the check reissued for 6 months now and have spoken repeatedly to Humana's financial integrity department as well as their member services and claim department. I have spoken to 20 (TWENTY) agents and spent over 10 hours on the telephone with them. I also returned written documentation to them requesting reissuance of the check. They have repeatedly said that they will reissue the check, which has been confirmed as voided, but no check is ever issued. Humana repeatedly hangs up on me or disconnects the call. This happens virtually every single time I call them. Despite my requests to have them call me back, this never happens.

I am permanently and fully disabled and must live on what I get from Social Security. This money ($179.39) is important to me. It was overpayment of a claim. But I am at a loss as to what else I can do other than to get an attorney and sue them for both the amount of the check as well as all the emotional distress that they have caused me. NEVER EVER CONTRACT WITH HUMANA FOR ANYTHING. ESPECIALLY DO NOT PUT YOUR HEALTH OR WELL BEING IN THEIR HANDS.

THIS IS THE MOST INCAPABLE, USELESS, POORLY CONTROLLED company I have ever dealt with after a career of almost 40 years as a finance director and risk assessment specialist. The company should lose their license to do business. They have zero customer service! WHAT THEY HAVE IS CUSTOMER DISSERVICE! This is just one in a long list of problems that I have had with my health insurance coverage with them. If I could give them a negative rating I would!!!

I am a disabled nurse with Rheumatoid arthritis. I chose Humana Preferred Rx Plan because they said they covered my meds. My doctor wrote a prescription for one of the medicines, they refuse to cover it. They made me and my doctor’s office jump through hoops and still denied it.

My husband just turned 65 on February 18th. He called tonight to double check on some meds that he was waiting for. Come to find out they don't cover several of those meds that are listed and they also telling him that some can't even be mailed in. What is up with this company. I saw so many bad reviews tonight that is makes me sick. I was reading all of them. This is crazy. How come this company is still opened. I will be on medicare in August and I will not be using Humana for darn sure. He is stuck in this a year. Now when will something be done to make this company stop all these lies just to get you to join then they send you out to the wolves after they got you! MADDENING! I AM SITTING HERE LISTENING TO HIM ON THE PHONE WITH THEM RIGHT NOW AND IT IS A MESS!

HUMANA GOLD PLUS MEDICARE ADVANTAGE - I received a TDAP Vaccine on 2016 and the insurance refused to pay indicating that is not covered by the plan because it is not a "Preventive Medicine (vaccine)". Since when a vaccine is not preventive??? Humana is doing fraud and must be investigated immediately. I will follow this complaint with all the vested authorities for fraud claims.

Humana sent me a letter stating they would no longer cover my ** inhaler. That is bad enough but when I called them to stop paying my premium because they discontinued my coverage I was told I still have to pay until October. How is this right when they are the ones that discontinued coverage. My doctor can appeal but why should he have to and are they going to double the price? Well Humana you might get your premium but I am headed to Canada where I can get my meds at a fraction of the cost that you charge. So long losers.

Don't buy Humana Ins. They send a letter saying bill is this amount then send a coupon book that is higher than the letter quote. Nobody can give you a straight answer as to why. Whoever is running the Mickey Mouse outfit better get this straightened out real soon. I am going to try again Monday 2/13/17. I'm done with them. They don't understand why BBB is not on top of this.

I get the same scripts every month for years. In January my pharmacist got an error message that I had received my monthly limit of 360 tablets of one of my medications and the script is for 90 a month. He spent over an hour on the phone with them and then I spent an additional 45 minutes but could not get it straightened out. I ended up paying full ($370) price with my credit card thinking I would get a refund later. It's now been over a month and I have filled the same prescription again for $7.17 just like every month except January for the last 10 years. I have called Humana at least 10 times and each time passed around from department to department and put on multiple extensive holds by each department. I just called again and spoke to 6 different people in 4 different departments. It was over 2 hours long and honestly don't believe I'm closer to a refund than before I called.

I filled out all the paperwork they sent me and mailed it back over 3 weeks ago. They are not all idiots and can't figure it out. They are trained to do this hoping that eventually you will just give up. They are obviously a bunch of scam artist that take advantage of their own customers in a time of need. What a bunch of scumbags. I would say they have spent more money on employee pay on this care than they saved by stealing my money but if you have ever called then you know the employees they hire for phone support probably only get paid one bag of rice per day. My supposed case number is **. By the looks of that number I would guess they get many complaints.

I am aghast that this insurance company can deny insulin to a diabetic. I have been a diabetic for 42 years, and have always had my medication approved by insurance. After retirement, I signed up with Humana. Lo and behold, they have STOPPED covering my insulin. How can they do this? How can a diabetic go without insulin? I can't afford the $987 I will have to now supposedly pay for my insulin. This is a travesty to me and all other diabetics. I didn't ask for this disease - yet this company has seen fit to deny my medication to me.

I will be having my doctor file a claim with this company, hoping to have it approved, and will start looking for another insurance company to help me out. What kind of service is this? Way to go Humana!!! ALSO, it is interesting that when talking to a customer service representative, the phone connections are so bad. I realize that these folks are not the messengers, they are simply doing what they have been directed to do, but geez - the customer service people then get testy when they can't get their point across to the patient because of a bad connection!

I have been paying for years and when I needed them they asked for all excuses. Even when I asked them to cancel they ignore and kept withdrawing from the bank. They should not be in business for dental insurance. Their customer service is valueless as they cannot take decisions. THE WORST I EVER SEEN.

While there are NUMEROUS reasons why I am disappointed with Humana my most recent experience tops the cake. They cancelled one of the doctors enrollment with them out of the 5 in my OBGYN office. They were not asked to do so, they made an error and her credentials were cancelled with Humana making her out of network. Therefore, after I gave birth to my daughter with, you guessed it, the one doctor they "accidentally" cancelled I am now stuck paying $1300 out of pocket because they refuse to correct their mistake. They even told my doctor's office it was a mistake on their end and it was being "expedited".

My daughter was born in July and it is now February of the following year. One of the customer service agents told my doctor to submit the claim under another physician who is in network at this time and guess what - that claim was DENIED. Luckily my husband's new job offers amazing insurance so I can finally break ties with this joke of a company. Thank you, Humana, for processing claims wrong, never fixing your mistakes, and for taking another $1,000 from me.

Do NOT buy Humana insurance! So far, Humana has deleted the one drug I need most from its formulary. And now that my prescription has changed, it has deleted that one too. When you call Humana and an hour later finally get to talk to a living person, they always tell me the drug I ask about is not on the formulary. So next time I'll just ask if there are 'any' drugs on their formulary. I doubt it. I believe the drugs most needed are the ones Humana gets rid of first. Just another greedy insurance company that wants your $$$ but doesn't want to give you any coverage. Hopefully President Trump can do something to make Humana accountable to those who are paying them but getting nothing in return.

My friend just called me this morning and said she was shocked that I had Humana insurance. She said her doctor told her two years ago to NEVER go with Humana. Boy was he right. I will find out more about all this when my friend calls me back tonight and we get a chance to really talk. My advice is to steer clear of Humana forever.

Attempting to attain reauthorization, submitted information required. Received a return callback stating "Due to the number of faxes we receive daily, was unable to locate the information, thus a NOMNC letter will be sent." I have proof the fax was sent and have the conversation recorded. Stated she had called to leave another fax (never received). Stated had until 2/2 to appeal. When I requested the NOMNC be sent today as they are required to provide a 48-hr notice, the date was changed to 2/3. It is Humana's responsibility to have faxes and appropriate systems in place to provide the proper services for their patients. I would not even rate this company.

After numerous attempts and phone calls no one was able to get me enrolled registered. I did get a payment booklet though. When comes to getting premiums they get that done. Humana's customer service is terrible. Use another company if you can.

Going through some of the reviews here I wish I had come here before getting CONNED by Humana. When I called to enroll for their HMO plan the salesman was very convincing and I was mistakenly led to believe that I had hit the insurance jackpot! The Humana HMO Dental plan that I enrolled in was supposed to cost around $20 each month plus a registration fee that I got to know of after I had agreed to sign up! The other catch was that I had to sign up with a Primary care Dentist from their network to realize the more than "200 benefits" which included a copay of $15 for regular visits, free X-rays and other procedures like extractions with good discounts.

I stay in a small town and I am within 5 miles of all amenities including more than 5 Dental practices. So it was a bit disappointing to find that the nearest dentist in the Humana network was 70 miles away from me. But with such great benefits I was not bothered. It looked worth it considering that an initial consultation at a dental practice in my town would set me back $120.00 and with my new Humana plan I would drive 70 miles and pay $15! Also I had to wait 2 weeks for the plan to be effected regardless of the fact that I had an extraction that I needed to get taken care of.

Anyway, on the day of my appointment I made the trip to my new Humana Primary Care Dentist and lo and behold just as they were starting the examination Humana sent in a fax with 7 benefits. I cannot even make this up, 7 benefits! As if that was not enough, getting the initial consultation done would cost me $106.00 using my Humana insurance and $72 if I used the practice slide scale which was 50% off for me. Luckily I had my payslip at hand so I managed to use the slide scale. I got my initial consultation and extraction done.

As soon as I got home and healed enough to be able to make words, I called Humana and cancelled the dental plan. The ease with which the plan was cancelled and the installment refund issued tells me that this is something they are knowledgeable to even though they claim that their contracts are ironclad and you can't get out. Now they only refunded the plan installment and not my registration fee. When I asked about that customer services gave me a Humana disputes mailing address and I sent in my letter complete with all the necessary documentation and waited for a response. About 2 weeks later all I got were 2 duplicate informational letters. At this point I realized that my registration fee was not coming back so I ignored and let the issue slide.

Then to add salt to injury a month later I get the same pieces of mail again! This time I called the number on those mails and told the saleslady that I didn't want to get anything Humana ever again in my mailbox because they have taken enough from me. The saleslady did her best to calm me and told me that it would take 40-60 days to get me off that list then offered to transfer me to customer service to find out the status of my letter. I thought why not after all I had been through their horrible calling system anyway, so I got transferred. At customer services they had the request but not the letter I sent in, surprise! The customer services lady tried to get me to send another letter seeing as the initial one was not received. I declined, not because I don't want my money back, but because I feel Humana has wasted enough of my time and money as it is... I don't send mail for free, I have to pay for it!

The short of it is this: IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE BY SMOOTH TALKERS, KEEP AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! They make money by conning people through the registration fee because they know that once you realize their product is fake you will come back to cancel the plan. Unfortunately because of a confidentiality clauses all over their documentation I cannot upload that images.

Four dentists I've called do not take HUMANA. We pay a lot on premiums and now we're stuck with them for a whole year until open enrollment. In the mean time, I have to pay $218 out of pocket on top of our monthly premium because their coverage is so limited.

I am new to Humana's Medicare Advantage plan. The price and what it offers seems good so far. I've had enough problems dealing with them over the phone and internet to have formed an opinion about why this is happening. It isn't so much an issue with customer service skills as it is with their IT. I worked in IT for 43 years. It is all I did my entire adult life. When you've done anything that long you notice things that others might not who don't have your experience. Humana's IT systems are a mess and a huge reason for the disarray you experience when dealing with them.

After wasting my 40 mins on multiple calls to different department, they refused to authorize simple nebulizer treatment for my patient with acute exacerbation of her COPD. I was left with no choice but to send my patient to emergency room. What can a physician do if their hands are tied even to get simple life saving NEB treatments for the patient. This is so frustrating. And they all claim we need to reduce emergency room visits.

The name Humana "sounds" like humans are involved. (And, please pardon any poor typing here. My broken arm is not completely healed.) Placed a order in late November, early December to renew 3 Rx. Received calls from their "friendly" computer a couple of times saying one of the Rx had no remaining refills. (Hey, Humana: human beings cannot feel rapport with a machine that interrupts itself in mid sentence with some message like “Sorry, did not understand what you said!” Don't waste our time with the lengthy chatty stuff. We call for medical purposes, NOT to listen to a cheerful recording.)

One Humana human blamed that kind of interruption on me once since I was reading the label off the medicine bottle into speaker phone. She told me to stop using the speaker phone. With a cast on my arm; hold a phone to my ear with one arm and a drug bottle in front of my eyes with the other? Get a grip! (But with which hand?) Call my doctor's office a couple of times to verify the Rx was refilled. Used the online shipment verification to verify the drug had been shipped. (Computer bug here: Ordered 3 refills. Two did ship. The one that I verified by Rx# did not. The computer told me it did. So note to all readers: the Humana computer lies.)

Got home when the Rx's were nearly out to find 2 of 3 in my mailbox. Again the 3rd had shipped, said the computer. Tried to call a human at Humana but those go home after 11 EST. (Hawaii, better stay away from Humana!) Humana computers had called me twice for some reason. The innate intelligence of the software designers is clear when the computer calls in the middle of a family Christmas party and on Jan 2, 2017, both on Federal Holidays, when my Dr office was closed.

So a day after the last of the Rx was taken I finally reached a human at Humana who also confirmed the Rx had shipped and, since I was out, said should "ask a pharmacy for a sample". I don't know what State [or tree] that guy lived in but in WA that is against the law. Spending 30 minutes on the phone all he could say of use was the Rx had shipped and there was no charge. (Humana audio software designers: Why do you waste our time telling us there is a charge of zero dollars and zero cents, then tell us to enter a credit card number to pay the amount due of zero dollars and zero cents? Never mind, I'm sure the answer is to get access to our buying habits and get us more marketing SPAM.)

Audio medical software designers; Humana hires humans to discus drugs. The minimum wage yay-hoo above had no clue how to pronounce drug names. Put some pronunciation help into the software. (The poor yay-hoo put me on hold 3 times to ask for help. He did not get useful help, but he did try. My local pharmacies all hire experts.) Later the same day I reached another human at Humana. Now the Rx in question had not shipped and Humana could blame all my confusion on my Dr. Anyway, the time for selecting a new insurer has passed this year, but I hope my agent will find adequate reason in this adventure to replace this defective insurer. While this failed Rx process will cause me only discomfort, service like Humana's could kill someone. (If it happens I hope their heirs have vicious lawyers who can put an end to this kind of nonsense.)

Note that the average time I spend on the phone with Humana is about the same as I spend going to a drugstore for the same product. But it takes multiple calls to Humana. Humana touts this service as ensuring health, saving time and saving money. Saving money yes. Saving time no. Health no. Some of my drugs are to control blood pressure. Humana and Verizon are equal partners in raising blood pressure, slightly better at it than the IRS.

No one told me all year that although I was paying 23.00 a month dental insurance that my dentist was not in network or needed to be or there would be NO PAYMENT. I received a bill at the end of the year for $170.00 after nothing had been paid from Humana all year. Garbage insurance. Thank God I changed to United Concordia this year which pays in and out of network. I never had this problem before since my dentist charges no more than in network Delta Dental always paid him. DO NOT go with Humana. Read the reviews. I should have researched it more. Humana made a killing off of me and I have to pay an entire year of bills which is less than I was charged by Humana.

Waiting on the phone with Humana is a grinding teeth experience. Getting something accomplished is time consuming to the point that the last time I filed for something, it took eight months before they sent all the checks I had coming. They "required" send them information that they already had in their files (they read the information to me then asked me to send it to them). Doing something as simple as sending an email for a return label can take up to three hours. Being on hold can take up to 45 minutes listening to the same "auto information" so many times I had to turn on mute button. I would not recommend Humana ever, to anyone. It has been a nightmare from the beginning and the people they hire need to be trained properly before allowed to answer the phones.

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. CAN'T ACCESS THEM WITHOUT TIMELY DELAYS ON PHONE, WEBSITE IS NOT USER FRIENDLY. They give you information that is not correct, the agents do not know much and continuously put you on hold. I believe they are one of the worst companies to deal with. New members be warned!!!

Compare Health Insurance