Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Humana Health Insurance
1.54/5

Humana Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Humana Health Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

Humana offers so much more than just medical coverage. They have so many different ways of offering at no cost preventive activities and other help lines. I have been with Humana for years. They have went out of their way to suggest and assist me in getting extra help medically and financially. They’ve introduced me to so much extra help that I didn’t know existed or was eligible for.

Original review: April 11, 2019

For the most part I am satisfied with my health plan. The payments they have made are fair with the exception of my copay for physical therapy. $40 per session is too much. Prescription part of my plan is good and there is no copay this year for my PCP. They offer OTC allowances from their catalog 4 X year, reduced or zero dollar mail order prescription copays and free membership in the SilverSneakers fitness program.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Humana has included very good insurance support for myself during this past year. They also have included few & higher options compared with other insurance companies. But negative activities unfortunately being included for myself, was not including enough of medical Drs within my area while including Neurology. I am also emphasizing that few telephone representatives were unfortunately overseas or speaking improperly within our English language, that also hurts me a lot.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

So I got this insurance about 28 days ago. I did careful research. In the last 28 days I have gotten a 200.00 pair of glasses. Got my teeth cleaned. Went to my an eyeglass script. All at no cost to me. I also talked to customer service and got a great person to take care of one issue. Not sure about why there are so many 1 stars? So are trivial, though. And as a general rule people only complain on many sites like this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had Humana for my Medicare part D program and couldn't be happier. Now, keep in mind I am only on one drug. But their automated phone service calls me regularly and reorders my monthly medicine with a few clicks... DONE. I am very happy with them, although they raised their price this year. But after looking at other plans, I think I will pay a few dollars more and keep Humana... don't want to invite hassle! Hope this helps you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I had Humana Medicare Advantage Plan N for only a few months. I chose it because I thought I was moving out of state but the place I was moving in didn't have my previous insurance plan. First of all the person who convinced me to taking the insurance was a fast talking salesman and wasn't really looking out for my best interests. He got the Rx plan mixed up. In the three months I was with Humana, I ordered prescription drugs twice, had two physicians visits and tried to get a flu shot.

EVERY time I had to call them because of the doctor not being able to confirm the insurance even though I was paying for it. It took several phone calls (we're literally talking hours) of being cut off, wait, being cut off again, having to hear their infernal sales pitches from this annoying, nagging woman's voice the whole time I was waiting. They would say I didn't have insurance with them and I would need to be sent to another department THREE TIMES EACH CALL. It was a real hassle. The last thing I did was try to get a flu shot, but they wouldn't pay for it because (although I was at a hospital pharmacy) they wouldn't cover it. So I moved back home and got on my old plan and I'm glad to be out of Humana.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I signed up with them because they, and all of their sales people and agents told me My Specialist was in their network. I repeatedly asked all of them if the Dr was on their plan. They all said yes. So I signed up. I went to the Dr. and I looked at their provider list and couldn’t see his name and I went to him a week ago. Called. Their office yesterday & said I could not find my Dr. So they looked and told me my Dr. was not in any of their plans. He is the only Dr. within 150 miles that can fill my back pump so that is why I was so concerned. So I called Medicare and filed a formal complaint & they enrolled me back in BlueCross. It will Start on 11/1/2019.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

First, there are infinite numbers in the universe. Why must they use ** for a customer ID. I only had this plan, Gold HMO, for one year, during which time I had one visit to the doctor totaling around $250. No, they would not cover it, saying it was not the type of issue they cover. It was a minor cut that became infected and just required antibiotics. The plan also covered dental. I looked up their participating dentists on their website and called the dentist to make sure that they used the plan and the website was accurate. Yet they denied the claim due to "out of network". Fraud in my opinion. Stay very far away from this plan. These people are sick.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I recently signed up for Humana Medicare Advantage and received my membership card which contained instructions to confirm receipt by calling ** anytime. I called that number and after being asked to confirm my address and DOB was asked for a credit or debit card number to facilitate receipt of my $500 "bonus" for signing up with Humana. Needless to say, I did not provide any credit card information, hung up and contacted Humana on a number I knew to be real. They agreed that it was a scam, understood that the number I called was the number on the card they sent me but seemed otherwise indifferent. Kind of like they already knew about the problem.

I don't know what I expected but certainly not the lack of interest and zero sense of urgency I encountered. No follow-up whatsoever. Caution to all who received the same membership card materials I did. Don't call the number to confirm receipt because it is a scam and, according to the Humana operator I spoke to, unnecessary in any case. Not a good start to my Humana relationship.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

My 98 year old mother had this highway robbery "Medicare Advantage plan" for 14 years. She paid premiums in advance. She does not go to the ER for a toothache or a muscle cramp. Meaning She does not go there if it is not LIFE THREATENING/A TRUE EMERGENCY. She went to the ER only once in 14 years. She paid her drug copays even if she was charged $500 for the non Tier 1 Exelon patches for the first fill and $100 thereafter. At 98 years old she maintained her health. Now - 7 days ago she got dehydrated, encephalopathic - meaning brain function was affected by her metabolism. She went into kidney failure (her baseline function was normal). She usually ambulates without any cane/walker and now she is weak. First admission to the hospital in 14 years with Humana highway robbery.

By the way she bought a PPO plan. Not HMO. Well - Humana PPO Medicare Advantage plan will NOT COVER HER ADMISSION. Really? I spoke with one of their medical directors. I am a physician myself. I know those "doctors" are there not for the consumers. She told me "No Humana will not cover for the admission." Even if the creatinine (kidney function) went up 3x the normal. Even if the patient who was normally ambulatory is now unable to get out of bed. They will not pay for rehab. NO. NO. NO. Even if her CPK enzymes which are normal under 125 rose up to more than 7K. A condition called rhabdomyolysis. Even though this well kept 98 yr old woman was close to death. Humana denied coverage. No. No. No.

Very disappointing. I disenrolled her immediately. It's better to have a free standing Medicare A&B. Pay your 20% or just get a Part D (drug coverage). Medicare advantage plan is like getting a parasite to suck on your Medicare A&B benefits - with you not getting any benefit. So look beyond the cheery advertisements "maintaining your elderly", "saving money", "getting healthy" blah blah blah - NAH - all poisonous money sucking advis. I would start advising my patient my truly disgusting personal experience with Humana.

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information