Humana Health Insurance

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Humana raised my rate due to health place error, they say. I used the insurance one time and they DID not pay. Spent hours on phone. Once they hung up on me. When are we going to get people who are honest. They say I DID not give them a tax return. So why in the hell DID they give me coverage in first place. The whole place is crooked.

I signed up for Humana January 2016. The whole time I had them, I had nothing but problems with having to talk to foreigners who barely spoke English to try to fix problems when these people didn't understand a word I said. Then I moved in September to a new area. I called customer service right away to see if I'd be covered in this area and was told I would be at least 10 times. I kept getting calls about verifying my address, again by foreigners who couldn't understand me, or me them. I was assured I still had coverage, though. Every call took over an hour.

Then, out of the blue, someone calls who can amazingly enough speak English. She said my policy was cancelled November 30 because I was "out of the service area." She was just "so sorry" that now I wouldn't be able to get my respiratory medicines. I need to breathe. Everyone I talked to at Humana was "so sorry," like that did any good. I'm signed up with a different insurance company starting Jan 2017, thank goodness. I wouldn't advise anyone to go with Humana. It must be set up in Nigeria because no one, except one person, speak English there.

My wife has claims that dates back to October of 2015 that Humana has incorrectly been processed and therefore denied. I have spent time on the phone, on her behalf, 3 hours just today to get some explanation. I was transferred about 5 to 7 times between department. Always starting of with the "history" and then the agent starts looking into it and later states that I'm in the wrong department. I get transferred and yet again tell the story to come to find out that I'm in the wrong department.

This has now gone on for over a year and nobody at Humana takes responsibility what so ever. The last agent I was switched to was suppose to call me back since the line was poor, most likely because being transferred around. BUT A CALL BACK WAS NEVER MADE. Where can I get help? I have had to pay for the unpaid bills to avoid being sent to collection. What is my next action? Humana seem to have a policy of not communicating with their Customers, nor via email or phone. So how do you reach the agent or department who handles the claims, there are several, and yet I make my monthly payments on time since 2014...

The past 3 months I have gone on to Humana website I have tried (I don't know how many times) to find a chiropractor in the area. The information they have on doctors - wrong phone numbers, wrong addresses. I have contacted them several times and complained about the situation choose and they have not changed anything or add any new chiropractors or doctors on their list. How are we supposed to take care of ourselves if they don't accommodate us with the right information or more options as far as doctors are concerned. Doctors on there I would have to travel 10 miles 12 miles to get to one. And because of my illness I cannot Drive far.

Beware of Humana Advantage Plan. This plan was terrible. I had to pay large amounts over what I would have to pay with just Medicare and a Supplement plan. They advertised how good they were with preventative care and that I would get long appointments with my PCP, but when I went, I found out I was booked for a 5 minute appointment, and then the doctor was still too rushed to hardly talk to me. I left with more questions than I came with. I don't blame the doctors, they don't get paid by the insurance companies anymore, so I know they are not keeping their offices open and many are leaving. These plans are just plain false advertising. It should be illegal!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

If you go online to look at their advantage plans please be aware that when you click on "choose your providers" that the list probably IS NOT accurate. The HMO plan I chose listed providers I want but one call to the medical office told me the truth. The only plan they have contracted with is the highest priced PPO plan where I can use the doctors I want. Even if you call Humana, which is a nightmare in itself, they will tell you you can use that Dr. with the HMO plan. It happened to me.

In the past I filed a complaint with Medicare but little good that does. This company needs to spend less money advertising and more on programming. Why should we have to call every possible provider to ask if in fact they do accept our chosen plan. If, in fact, your provider does accept your plan then ok, just double check prescription costs.

I'm 23 years old, recently graduated from college and wanted something affordable until I found a full time job. When given the monthly rates I immediately jumped on Humana. I thought it was a dream come true! But this past year has been a nightmare. Humana sends you to B-rated facilities, when you call you are never able to get your problem solved, and most importantly THEY DO NOT DO PROPER PAPERWORK. I sat on the phone for 5 hours to resolve an issue as to where I was billed $500 for an operational procedure when all the ENT did was shine a light inside of my nose. I've had to appeal many of my bills which take months to do.

I got the dental insurance as well which was just as horrible. I was given a primary dentist only to be told that I would have to pay out of pocket for my visit because that was not my zoned dentist when this was who I was emailed to go to. I filed an appeal for hits as well which took months to resolve. This incident happened in January and was literally just resolved 2 weeks ago. I still was not on their roster and it took 3 hours to talk to a representative to get that straightened out in order for me to even go to the dentist.

Everything about Humana is frustrating. Not to mention they're going up on their rates for 2017. Although the prices are affordable, it seriously is not worth the time especially if you regularly visit the doctor like I do. Just pay for better quality. I've even called to complain about my experience. Nobody cares. I wish I had someone tell me not to use them so I thought I'd do the same. I'm switching to another insurance for the New Year. Wish me luck.

Sad my complaint will get buried along with the other HUNDREDS that will never be seen in time to save people from making the same mistakes we did. I wrote a review last yr and now writing again at enrollment time. Lost my retirement insurance due to health care law changes. Was using reg. policy until after I began Medicare and changed my ins. to just a supplement. Humana offers the Medicare Advantage which I thought was a suppl. like I had before, and many companies like AARP & Blue Cross offer.

What Humana does NOT make clear is that the ADVANTAGE plans are NOT an advantage to customers or medical care providers -- ONLY to Humana -- and surprisingly MEDICARE. Humana PAYS Medicare a fee to take over our healthcare. They BECOME the PRIMARY and a "PRIVATE INSURANCE". You CANNOT have a co-insurance - even your spouse's policy or Medicare. I still paid Medicare premiums for the right to KEEP it BUT could not USE Medicare for ANYTHING.

Humana held my Medicare hostage and I had to pay an ENORMOUS ransom and yet got NOTHING in return except a little lower Humana premium -- which is not so low when it is added TO the Medicare mo. prem. for a plan I could not use. Humana said that I could go to ANY doctor or facility that accepts Medicare. WELL you can GO to that doc but Humana does not have network contracts that reduce fees (and some doctors have STOPPED accepting Humana and other plans that are HMO related).

Humana has HIGH copays - especially for Specialists I have been using for YEARS - and Humana pays LOW benefits -- MUCH lower than Medicare did. Humana can set fees AND deny coverage as THEY see fit. And appeals do not work -- even for a blood tests I was required to get once or twice a year! BOTTOM LINE - I ended up paying the ENTIRE cost for the denied claims and 60% or more of the bill for the ones they DID cover. That's in addition to Humana and Medicare premiums. This type of plan SHOULD be ILLEGAL -- it denies people access to the FEDERAL Medicare plan that we qualified for and PAID for and Humana ALSO manipulated coverage and costs. 2015 was a NIGHTMARE yr.

Humana SOURCES OUT all contacts (cheaper than employees!) so whoever you correspond with (especially by phone) is a third party who has NO knowledge of the plan except what they READ out of a manual or their "cheat sheets". They HARASSED me with calls - mostly SURVEYS (that even asked how long my wait was to get an appt. and how long of wait for the doc to actually SEE me or whether a doctor REFERRED me to a certain facility (including routine blood tests or radiology).

I must add that I AM happy with Humana's drug plan and am staying with it. The mail order pharmacy has cheaper meds (90 day supplies) AND carries the meds I use (which local or chain pharmacies do not). I DO now have a high (but comparable) deductible on my Rx plan -- which so far I have not even reached but availability, cost and convenience are worth it. The drug program IS a savings under the Advantage plan (with low or no deductibles or co-pays) but if you do not need many meds it is not worth it. You are paying many times more for all other medical services.

For the last 2 yrs. Humana has had personable and knowledgeable personnel and sufficient handling of my orders. I am back with Medicare as PRIMARY ins. and have a suppl./medigap plan with another co. - which covers what Medicare does not pay. All docs and facilities charge US only what Medicare allows. I do not KNOW about any other Medicare "All-In-one" type plan (which can be labeled as MEDICARE ADVANTAGE, MEDICARE COMPLETE, etc.) PLEASE thoroughly investigate the plans! Who knows what our insurance will be like in 2018 under a new president. I am betting it will be even WORSE - especially if we lose the pre-existing illness exception. Even a NEWBORN baby's problems could be considered PRE-EXISTING!

Poor prescription coverage. Two items I have needed Humana barely covers. ** my cost $598 use to be $25. ** My cost $833. Everyone I know pay between $5 and $15. I have been paying this company for over 7 yrs. Currently paying $577 a month.

This insurance company has failed me at every turn. From the customer service being atrocious and the fees being so high this is by far one of the worst companies I have seen. If anyone is debating on using this company I would stay far away. The customer service representatives usually do not have any answers you are looking for. The last call I made I was hung up on 5 times. Please do not make my same mistake. Go with any other company.

I got health care insurance October 1. Did it over the phone. She made it sound great. She said she would stop by and tell me all about it. Never did. I called her 2 wks ago and ask if I could cancel any time. She said yes. After looking at the plan it wasn't what I wanted so I called her back. She said I couldn't cancel until the first of the year. I got a new plan and now I'm stuck with 2 months of paying for. I don't think it's not a very good way to run a company. I was even thinking about putting it in the paper. Not very happy with Humana.

Please do not hire Humana for your Insurance needs. Save yourself hours and in my case a year of trouble. I purchased a Humana Medicare advantage Plan. I spent 1 year trying to just find a Dr that was covered. I must have made 1000 calls to Humana because the Doctors they list in their book for my area were 1, not taking new patients or were a long list of Doctors that are only at walk-in clinics. Now that's a year of my time and me paying them. Then 1 person decides to tell me they have a list of 1,500 Doctors in my area that they can email me. AFTER A YEAR OF CONSTANT CALLING THEM. Next... I am not the type to call every time have some minor issue. About a week ago I called them because I have a neck surgery coming up. I had a few questions so I called the 24 hour Nurse helpline. I asked my questions and was told they are not a Doctor (Um that might be why it's called a Nurse helpline).

He then says I need to talk to my care manager. I asked who that was. He checked and said mine no longer worked at Humana anymore. He then said he would send my information to the correct people and they would call me and set up a new Care Manager. A week later no response from Humana so I call. I get the runaround, I get transferred to 8 different people 1 who had no idea why I was talking to him because he didn't even have access to my account. I have now had enough. I'm in the timeframe to Disenroll. I will steer anyone away that ever asks anything about Humana. It is the worst health insurance on the planet if you ever have to contact them about anything. If this was a split scale of 10 I would give them a -5. PLEASE GO ELSEWHERE and save yourself a lot of time and trouble for horrible service.

If you are considering Humana, please, please, please choose ANY OTHER COMPANY. They are crooks. I specifically picked Humana because they offered coverage at the area hospitals, and my wife was pregnant, so we knew what the year would bring. We made sure the hospitals were in network with our plan. Now Humana is saying they're not in network with the hospital. The hospital (St Thomas, Midtown, Nashville) says they *are* in network and they have this problem with Humana often. And what is Humana's response? I can send them a written appeal! Wonderful, in an age where email is an option, I should send them a written appeal, then I have to wait 15 days to call and make sure they got it and then I have.

I paid over $8000 in premiums this year and this is what I got for it. I should have just stayed uninsured. And when I told them I wanted to cancel I got put through to the marketplace who told me that I couldn't cancel for another 14 days and the only way to be sure that I had in fact canceled would be to call Humana to make sure. So, I have to pay MORE MONEY before I can cancel my plan? What other "service" is there that will make me pay more for something after I have asked cancel? Clearly they want to make this entire process harder than it needs to be so they won't have to pay. If I'd known they'd be like this I'd have stuck with BCBS. I should have known I was screwed when every health care provider I gave my insurance card to frowned and told me they felt bad for me. Humana is the worst and I will never work with them again. I will go uninsured if I have to since that's basically what this was.

Humana is out of network with palm beach county, Fl. In the newspaper in September 2015 it said Tenet which is in charge of many hospitals and doctors in my area was trying to negotiate with Humana and that as of now Humana is out of network. When you go to protectmyaccess.com, I was told that I must change to another medicaid plan. When I call Humana they say they are legally not supposed to answer any questions. To call my local department of children and families so every time I call they say they have to receive a letter from Humana or I cannot change my plan. We are supposed to change plans immediately but Humana is not notifying our local or state medicaid offices because they want to keep our business. I have many illnesses and will not get medications. This goes into effect January 2017. I don't know what to do?

I have thyroid disease and must take a ** as I have adverse reactions to ** which is the tablet form. I was paying 0 then began paying $11.00, then $15.00 and now $100.00! I filed two appeals and my doctor who is furious filed a grievance and they denied us. I have two sons and live on disability hence I cannot afford this payment and I am bedridden without this medication! I want to rename Humana INHUMANEA, they give me 10 phone numbers and transfer me in circles! Someone needs to help those of us who are suffering!

Worst health coverage ever, need family doctor referral to see eye doctor and dentist. Constant calls from Humana continue even after begging and spending too much time to be taken off of call list. Feel bullied and beat down. Even getting hang up calls from them. So frustrated can't wait to get plain old Medicare back. I do not recommend Humana Insurance. Family doctor even said they are the slowest paying insurance company and worst to bill. Hope telling them that if the hangup calls and non emergency solicitation calls don't stop I will report them to attorney general. Works and calls stop since cursing and yelling doesn't.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled last year, when we sat down to do the payment chart I was told my bill we be about $1,600.00. Well I figured that was what I needed to pay after insurance which is Humana HMO. I was in so much pain and suffering I just paid it to get it done. After a year later my husband is needing similar extractions done and the payment was super high. I told her mine was cheaper last time because of what insurance covered, so she pulled up my chart and told me that Humana cover 0% rejected the whole thing, which is why I paid $1,500.00... So we called Humana and they said "Yes we cover extractions" and also about 6-8 out of 12 codes that was on my chart but yet as of today they just told me, they don't cover that and they won't cut a refund check after one Rep from there said I should get something back because that didn't seem right.

Our dentist office has told us about 4x that over time they send over our chart to them, Humana rejects them. They pay for NOTHING OR at least $10 out of $250 which that's what it looks like. Has anyone had a similar experience? I am about to get a lawyer to look into this. I think they are beating around to give me most of my money back.

Because of disability I had to switch to Medicare from group Medical, and had to choose from ins. on my employer's list. I enrolled in Humana, selected a Dr from their list, and then discovered 90% of the listed Dr's would not take it. Finally was assigned to a Dr 10 miles away (I live in an area with over 300k population). This Dr could not give injections so while I was waiting to get approval to get injections elsewhere I got severe shingles. I wasn't allowed to see anyone w/o referral from the primary, who would not referral w/o seeing me and offering an appt 2 months later. Tried to escalate with Humana, they only would approve a commercial urgent care 50 miles away but none at a medical facility or closer. Because of delay in getting anti viral med I was in severe pain for 6 weeks, and never saw my Dr (I paid cash at ER). Complained no help from Humana.

The next year I had a crushing break to foot and toe. Had switched to another 'approved dr' same thing. No Dr avail, go drive 50 miles with broken foot. I ended up splinting it myself and just stayed off it for six weeks. RX costs me more than using GoodRX would ins. If I saw another Humana commercial with old people talking about how great it is I think I'd scream. But no worries, they just said (5 days before open enrollment) they aren't selling ins. here anymore. But I've still gotten 12 robot calls from them even though I'm on their DNC list, surveys, sales pitches to use their pharmacy, etc. When I see the government has been partnering with Humana on modeling future medical on their method, I shudder to think how much worse it can become (FYI I don't get Extra Help, government handout, etc. I spend $$$$$ for medication after paying taxes, Medicare tax, Medicare premiums).

I would RUN from this company. Maybe in other regions they are better, but where I live I have given in and haven't had basic medical tests for the past two years. The only time in my life I've needed medical, I have gotten nothing but lies, unfulfilled commitments, and the amount of time spent trying to get them to do anything has negatively affected my health.

I would really rate them -5 stars. The latest issue was when I went to get a flu shot and was told I was no longer covered. I called and was told premiums were due. I informed the customer service rep that I had just sent them the full payment as my online account indicated. She checked and found that I had a credit balance in my account, but it didn't cover the current month. I cannot understand how an account that is carrying a credit can be closed. Luckily the latest payment for $1200 hadn't cleared the bank and I was able to get my money back. I am waiting for the refund on the credit. I found out too late how the medical field feels about this insurance company. SWFL doctors aren't taking it as of 2017. My guess is the company is too difficult to deal with. Blessing in disguise for me I guess.

I am my mother's authorized representative, therefore I'm the one who has had to deal with countless phone calls to HUMANA. They tell you wrong information just to get you off the phone, and if that's not bad enough they LIE! They tell you they are "resubmitting claim", "sending to supervisor", for you to find out later NOTHING has been done with your denied claim, and there's no documentation of your past phone call. You also can not complain to anyone higher. My mother switched to Humana 1 yr ago, and we have had to go through hell and back on EVERY claim that has been submitted to them. Not one has just been paid with no incidents.

At first it was she was not covered, which she was. Then that she had a primary insurance other than them, which was not the case either. Thank God my mother has no chronic illnesses, and does not see doctors much. She has had 3 visits, and a lab visit in that year, and we are still waiting on 2 of the claims to be paid. If you do not have time to spend countless hours on phone dealing with each claim, I advise you to go with another company. It may cost you a little more, and I totally understand retirement, and fixed incomes, but it will pay off in the end.

I moved to NV in August and I choose Dr. ** as my PPC. I soon learned that all the PPC Dr in my area were with health care partners. I feel trapped in this constraint. Dr. ** answer to all my problems and complaints is to refer me to other doctors in her group. If you call her office during lunch the phone just ring and rings. I recently tried to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist and their lunch is between 12 and 1. No one answers the phone, it just rings and rings. I needed ** for my liver ailment and Humana won't approve, they will approve **. Dr. ** won't prescribe this because she says an in-hospital medication. I am unable to take this because it gives me severe diarrhea. Please help me resolve these matters.

I just moved to the Ohio area late July. Starting in August I signed up for health insurance. It was my mistake using an agent off the web. After my first 2 bills I noticed I was not getting the coverage I had paid for. Coming from NY things were a lot cheaper. Just the problem, I had also signed up for dental and eye care as well. According to humana I was not signed up for it. While the cost wasn't too bad, $226 a month compared to over $800 where I was, there was a reason why I wanted dental. There is an off chance I may be stuck until Nov 1st to sign up again. This company should be avoided.

I am in need of thoracic surgery to remove a bronchogenic cyst - my second one. To my knowledge I am only the 9th documented case of one returning. That said, mine has grown over 49% in 6 months (Jan 2016 - Jul 2016), no telling how big it is now (Oct 2016). My primary care physician and my lung specialist both petitioned Humana for an out-of-network thoracic surgeon to remove this cyst. Humana denied the claim saying that there was a in-network surgeon who could do the surgery. However, the in-network practice I was referred to, and the only one within my network, reported that they would not remove the growth and would refer me "out-of-network" to a specialist. So I am now in a catch 22 situation where Humana will only approve an in-network practice that has said my surgery needs an out-of-network specialist. And here I sit, with a growing cyst, appealing a decision. This is just wrong!

In Jan 16 I went with Humana thru the market place. Feb 16 my husband was hospitalized and ended up with a bill over 5k out of pocket. In March I had emergency surgery and was in the hospital for a few days. When I got home I had a letter stating that I would only have coverage til May because I was not covered by the market place because I was on SSI (not Humana's fault) which was mentioned to them several times during enrollment. So after I met my deductible I was dropped but my husband and kids still had Humana. Humana transferred over my kids and husband to a new policy and supposed to transfer over all my deductibles that we met.

I went to the dr with my daughter and after meeting deductibles in Feb from my husband’s hospital stay and come to find out my deductible was back at 0 and I was now responsible to meet it again! Well after calling and calling to get the deductible fixed and every time being told that they will work on it and return my call and they never did my deductible. Was never met and I was out of pocketing cost that should have been covered. I had enough and cancelled it in July. Well, now Sept 30th I get a call saying that I owe them money for my policy that I cancelled in July. I NEVER got a notice or a bill or anything at all. These people are crooks and are not willing to right their wrongs but, yet want more money from me. Stay away from these crooks!

Every time I have had to deal with this company it has taken many hours and most time they do things wrong and I have to call back to get things fixed. Every year I spend winters in Arizona and when I call in to put in a temporary change of address, I get disconnected and have to call back. Then it takes at least one hour for them to process the temp change of address. Two years ago, I did this and they ended up cancelling my policy because they processed it as a permanent address change and said that my policy was not available in Arizona. It took many hours and phone calls to get the policy reinstated. Don't do business with this company. They are incompetent and not capable of getting anything right!!!

So they came back and took money from a procedure they paid for over 2 years ago. They said I was dual covered with other insurance. When I asked them what date Humana had for my effective date of the new insurance...they had a date that was the day before the procedure that was done 2 years prior. The crazy part is I just barely applied for the new insurance this year. When they found out I got new insurance they put in their system that I had both insurances for the last 2 years. This is not an exaggeration...I have called over 20 times over the last year to correct the issues with them to get the doctor paid again.

I get transferred, hung up on, calls dropped, mis-transferred almost every phone call I make. It's comical at this point. So initially they took back $1200. They finally reprocessed the claims and repaid $800 - some odd WTF??? Do I go through this whole process again for $400? Their supervisors are not horrible, but their normal reps they must just pick up off the street. I have no problem with getting people off the street, but TRAIN THEM before they talk to people. I had Humana for a year with no problems and ever since there has been crazy problems. Good luck if you need anything outside of the ordinary. Good luck if you need them to pay a claim.

I have dental insurance with Humana. Two fillings were done in mid July. Humana placed the claim into review for a narrative and x-rays. They denied the claim saying that they did not receive requested information. These have been sent three times, the dental office copied me the last time to show that they were sending it. Today, they still claim that they have not received this. They either lie or delay in an effort to halt other work and avoid payment or they are all incompetent. I don't care which. Either way, they are an insurance company to be avoided. I have spoken with their reps on several occasions and sent multiple emails but each time they give the same response trying to blame the dental practice that I know for a fact complied with their request each time.

Humana has violated HIPAA regulations by requiring patients to send back WRONG RX to them. Medicare had informed that once RX is dispensed -- wrong or not -- the RX needs to be discarded. Humana sets their own rules that do not follow Medicare guidelines. Hours on the phone and I get no help. They buy the cheapest generic RX from shady manufacturers. I had my RX analyzed by a local lab and the RX they sent me does not contain any go the medicine -- that's a felony.

After dealing with Humana for 9 months, I've come to realize they are either run by imbeciles or the devil. I was on ** prior to going on Medicare. When Medicare became active, so did my coverage with Humana PPO. They denied the ** but suggested I pay out of pocket $4,000 per month. After that they denied everything my doctor prescribed for my arthritis. 7 months later, I'm in a full blown flare up with a sd rate over 60 and CRP over 20. I'm now sick and can't get the meds I need. My doctor finally got them to cover **. Only problem was my co-pay was $5,000. I was able to get assistance through PAN network.

I have a stack of denial letters from Humana. Some are dated the same day. I finally received an approval letter and was tempted to frame it in a gilded frame. As unbelievable as it may sound, I got a denial letter after their approval letter. I even got another letter stating they needed my doctor's authorization - after I received my first dose! When I called the number on the letter, they were just as shocked as I was. The number on the letter was to the pharmacy who transferred me to the specialty pharmacy who was equally confused.

I asked to speak to the person who sent me the letter, Mr ** whose credentials included director of pharmacy professions. The specialty pharmacy didn't know who this person is. They explained that the insurance side sent the letter. (Insurance side?) So what I take from this is the left hand definitely has no clue what the right hand is doing! Like I said that in title, RUN from this company - stay away from them!

I just went to CVS to pick up my son's prescription. Again denied by Humana. Not on their list of drugs. Here we go again. I spent a year fighting with Humana to have a drug covered which is the only thing my son responds to. We went through appeal after appeal until finally the Medical State Commissioner overturned the decision sending a scathing 4 page letter to Humana REQUIRING them to cover the medication. Humana had to reimburse us for thousands of out of pocket money for the medication they refused to cover. Now here we go again. Some moron at Humana has decided to not cover it yet AGAIN! I will fight them again all the way again. But it is exhausting and ridiculous. Humana plays God. Interfering with your care and your doctor. Your doctor knows what is best for you, not some idiot at Humana. I have had to fight them on medical procedures that I have needed but Humana seems unnecessary.

When did it become their right to play God and make decisions about my care when they haven't even examined me and have no relationship to me. This is the worst health care company ever. They only care about their shareholders and not the people that are their customers. It is a conflict of interest to be publicly traded and pretend that you are serving the interest of your insured. This is why we MUST go to a nonprofit single payer system where they are not trying to serve stockholders! I hate Humana!! I will keep fighting, but I shouldn't have to!!!

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.
  • Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.
  • Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.
  • HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.
  • Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.
  • Best for Heads of families, senior citizens, employees