2.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 18, 2018

1009 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

Most of those who take the initial clinical information are downright rude! No please, no thank you. The last lady I spoke to sounded something like this: "NAME! ID! TAX ID NUMBER! WHY IS HE THERE?" Horrible customer service! You have to repeat the same information over and over - each new contact sounds like they have no record of the previous call. The person I regularly review with is awesome. But, those other people need some classes on phone etiquette. Remember, Humana, everyone who calls your business is a customer! Please treat us as such.

Original review: April 9, 2018

This is not what we were promised when we signed to spend our adult life serving our country. Tricare Military Retiree insurance was good under Health Net Services, but that all changed without notice a few months ago. We were notified that there was going to be a change to Tricare as far as who it fell under, but not the drastic increases in all coverage fees and that's IF you can find a Dr. or Hospital that will accept your insurance. All Dr.'s and Hospitals are dropping the insurance and you have to drive 40 min or more to find a specialist who will still accept it. The fees have doubled, tripled and quadrupled depending on the service you need. All fees have drastically increased. This is not what I was told I'd have when I retired.

Everything was good for 4 years after I retired until this change happened. Why are there no news agencies covering this. Most of us retirees are on a fixed income and cannot afford this and those of us who are healthy enough to have a second career are having to work overtime to pay the fees. Also, due to the difficulty finding care now, military retirees are unable to be seen for serious conditions that may affect their life seriously or end up in death. We really don't know what we are going to do. I am working a 2nd career, but I am not healthy enough (because of my illness and injury related to military service) to work massive amounts of overtime to cover the recently added financial burden.

Please, everyone, write your representatives and news agencies. I am doing so and the more of us they hear from the better. Can't believe Congress signed this into effect. Wait... yes I can believe it, but it's not right. I didn't serve a couple years and move on to a civilian career and now well established and moved up in position to make good money and have good benefits. I, like many others, served my entire adult life since I was 21 years old and now am having to start all over again at an older age and failing health.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 6, 2018

I spoke with a CSR on 4/4/2018 and was helped by Peter **. He was very knowledgeable and very helpful directing me to the correct dept to pay for my Humana bill at Humana Pharmacy. I was very impressed by Peter and am grateful I had someone on the phone who knew his depts. Thank you.

Original review: March 29, 2018

We have TriCare Prime Remote and Humana is our new insurance company this year. So far our experience has not been acceptable. I have an incurable chronic illness that I need treatment for every three months from my neurologist. My referral to the neurologist is good for one year and it was renewed in September of 2017. I saw my neurologist in December for the treatment and was referred to another neurologist because my old one was retiring. The referral was approved and I went to my new neurologist in January for a consultation. Humana paid for that consult and for my treatment in December. My treatment was to be March 26th, 2018. I got a call from the neurologist's office (3 days before my appointment) telling me that they cannot do my treatment because they have tried several times to contact Humana for approval and have not gotten a response.

I had already taken the day off of work because I have to drive 3 hours ONE way to my neurologist. (Only a few do this treatment in MI.) I immediately call Humana to find out what is going on. 1 hour and 52 min. later I still don’t have a real answer. First I am told that I do not have an approval to see the neurologist. (Even though I went to him in January and they paid for it.) If it wasn’t approved they would NOT have paid the bill. Second they tell me that they cannot see in their system that I went to the neurologist and that it was paid. I was on their website and signed in and took screenshots of everything they paid for and sent them the copies. They told me that there is not an authorization code on them. (They have claim codes on them.) Apparently we as the insured do not get authorization codes only the claim codes.

Well that’s two different things! So even though they paid, so obviously it was approved, because I don’t have the right code I have to get another referral. Third they told me that I had the wrong provider. What?! Even though on THEIR site the right provider is listed as my provider. (I gave them a screenshot of that also.) They tell me they cannot see what I see in their system. So first I had to get my provider changed. Then I had to get another referral, and wait for it to be approved (still waiting, 3-29-2018). Finally I have to have the neurologist send in a form for approval for my treatment. After it is approved I can make an appointment. So my treatment will be delayed until they have what they already had, but somehow lost on their side of the system. I can see just fine on mine.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My girlfriend is on permanent disability due to nerve damage in her legs. She has been on ** for over 10 years for the pain. When she first went on disability she was placed on Medicaid. She was then forced to go on Medicare and a private insurance. The private insurance she had to take was Humana. When she signed up she was guaranteed that there would be no problems with any of her medicines. Then Humana informed her they would not pay for her **, since it was not on their approved medicines list. So they forced her to take a drug called **, which no pharmacy in our area can get. Then she was told she had to go on Humana's mail order drug list, and they would send it to her in 7 days. Then after the 7 days and no medication, she called Humana and they told her that she needs prior authorization from her doctor, for a drug they are forcing her to take, and that her doctor does not want her to take.

So she got her doctor to send prior authorization, then the next day Humana makes her get another prior authorization because now Humana won’t cover the amount, so the doctor did that. Now Humana won’t send her the drug, nor the original. It has now been 25 days that she has been without her medication and not even able to walk or get out of bed. Humana has shown not one ounce of compassion at all. Every time she speaks to a person at Humana they give a new reason why she has not and is not getting the medication they want her to take. It is astounding how these insurance companies treat people and are allowed to. You can bet they don't have to go through any of this. Greatest thing is she pays for this insurance, and these people to treat her like this, great country we live in.

I've told her to contact a lawyer, and see if she can sue Humana. She got a paper from NYS department of health, stating that Humana had to for 90 days cover her original medications, if they want her on a different one, till they and her doctor can get it for her. None of these lets call them humans at Humana understand, they are taking her off a very strong narcotic without any weaning off period, which could kill her, but they still don't care. I only hope these people have a special place in HELL reserved for them. If anyone at Consumer Affairs can do anything please contact me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: March 27, 2018

Retired military since 1982. For me Tricare For Life managed by Wisconsin Physicians Services is wonderful. Never had a problem. But wife and children on Humana, is horrible. (Tricare Prime) Humana searches diligently for every possible excuse to deny our claims. Often have to seek help from local congressman to file claims. Result is loss of scarce funds for 100% VA combat disabled veteran. It is a disgrace!

Original review: March 26, 2018

The pharmacy gap period eats a hole in your monthly income when it is a set income. Which makes it hard for us to take care of both monthly Rxs and other monthly expenses, therefore something is going to go lacking, usually Rxs drugs.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Humana tried to start coverage the day after my daughter was born. And that first day is really expensive. It took about 20 phone calls to correct that little "mistake".

Original review: March 25, 2018

I have just joined Humana last year and this company is the best one that I have come across as far as getting things done and the coverage. The company out there cares for the patients in making sure that you get the right proper care. They do not treat you like a number.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I hated this insurance company. They never wanted to help a person get the right care, always tried to discourage you from getting help. I had breast cancer in 2009 and had to fight to get my supplies.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I’m very displeased with my Humana Part D prescription plan. I have been on the same prescription for 15 years through my work, Blue Cross. Now that I’ve turned 65 and changed to Humana they are denying my prescription! First they charged me 4 times as much, and I went ahead and paid because I needed it, the next week I received a letter from them saying they were denying and canceling that prescription! I called and got a robot like person to speak to and got nowhere. What a ripoff!

Original review: March 23, 2018

Have had this insurance for almost 6 years. Premiums good, not high out of pocket co-pay, excellent drug coverage. All my drugs which are generic are 0 pay from Humana pharmacy and free shipping. I CHECK EACH YEAR AND ALWAYS STAY WITH HUMANA. IT SEEMS NO CAN BEAT THEIR PRICES AND DRUG COVERAGE FOR 0 PAY.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Great customer service, pleasant, willing to listen and explain the best place to order my medicine from. Would stay with them only they no longer give the best cost value for me.

Original review: March 22, 2018

My good health has resulted in very little need for insurance coverage. When coverage was needed, Humana provided it without any problems. When my primary care physician reported that she was leaving Humana (she retired soon thereafter) it was not difficult to find another very good physician who continues my use of Humana.

Original review: March 21, 2018

The HMO has good selection of doctors and hospitals. I use a PA and can usually get in easily and have no trouble being referred if needed. Have had coverage for several years and plan to continue with Humana.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Humana is ONLY IN IT FOR THEMSELVES!!! They cover NOTHING and it is EXTREMELY difficult to discuss anything with customer service.

Original review: March 20, 2018

They do not tell you about the $30 per specialist. The prices are terrible. Outraged still. I now have a credit bureau problem... Customer service is also rude. Very bad experience.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Humana has been great! They are diligent about checking to see if I have any additional needs. They make follow up calls. I have had no problems with referrals and only 1 prescription, which was easily substituted. I have nothing negative to say about Humana!! It is ALL good!

Original review: March 19, 2018

They have been very cooperative with all my health care needs especially since I started dialysis last Sept. 2016. I also like the way they remind me when a prescription is ready to refill.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Minimal involvement with company other than submitting claims. Physicians probably billing up to the max allowed even if the visit is not Necessary. Not different from other insurance plans.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I have had good results with Humana for the past few years so continued with them this year. Co-pay went down on Doctors and I have had cataract surgery both eyes and a knee operation in the past. All were paid thru Humana with no problem. Personal phone calls also were helpful.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I am going to be a member. I love the coverage. It all sounds and what I needed. I am glad I choose this plan. It all sounded great. I need dental teeth all kinds of things done for me and I am just waiting for January 1st to be here for the vision and dental plan and go to the gym.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I, fortunately, have not had to use the health insurance much this past year, however the few times I have use Humana the whole experience has been fine. As with all of health insurance providers, the coverage is not as good as one would like and we end up paying for a good deal of the services out of pocket.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Humana will work with you on the phone or email chat. They are great to help you out when ask a question about coverage or a claim. They are great about paying for your drugs through their online Humana pharmacy.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I recently joined Humana as a Medicare Provider. The salesperson suggested a Primary Care Physician by name. After I agreed, I called that doctor's office to set an appointment for my annual physical. I was informed by the doctor's rep that I would need to go online and pay a $199.00 fee to become a member of their medical group. They informed me that Humana would not cover this fee. I called Humana to complain. They took a statement and gave me a complaint number and stated that they would get back to me.

After a month I still have heard nothing from them. I called later because I was trying to choose an in-network dentist from the list they provided. Every call I made informed me that they no longer accept Humana. I called Humana back and they agreed to send an updated list of in-network providers. It arrived today so I began again trying to find an in-network dentist.

Of the eleven (11) calls I made, ten offices told me that they no, longer accept Humana. The 11th number was to a private home and was apparently incorrect. SO I called Humana again. Nicole, Humana Dental Specialty Benefits Representative said she would find me a dentist. I was put on hold for a very long time. She came back and stated that the names she called also no longer accept Humana or my coverage plan. She did state that she found ONE. I live in Manhattan folks. She found ONE dentist who accepts their coverage. THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH! Do not enroll. Repeat: DO NOT ENROLL.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My experience with Humana was good. They send reports almost daily, wish it was less often, just as comprehensive. Nice job! Have not had to call them after 3 years. That says a lot.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I got Humana Dental HMO Insurance a few months ago. The Humana website listed a dentist I chose as a provider so I call and confirmed they accepted my insurance. They told me to call Humana to have it set up prior to my appt. Humana said they were not one of my providers and they gave me the names of 2 dentists, one local and one 99 miles away. So I go onto the website listed on the back of my insurance card which is not the Humana website and it only lists those same 2 dentists. I go to my dentist appt anyway and dentist office looks at my insurance card and confirms they accept it but when they call Humana, they are also told they aren't on the list of in networks providers.

I call the one local dentist on the list and the lady informs me that they have not accepted Humana DHMO since 2009 and that Humana is aware of this but keeps listing them as a provider. I call Humana and the guy tells me he will "check other resources" to help me but comes back with the same 2 dentists. I tell him I want to cancel my policy. The guy then seems all confused as to why I want to cancel so I explain again that the local dentist doesn't take their insurance and other dentist is too far away. He says he submitted my cancellation request and I will get a letter in the mail stating whether or not my cancellation has been approved. I plan to report them to the BBB if it is denied.

Original review: March 14, 2018

From day Humana gave me a hard time over everything. It was like I was trying to cheat them or something. My primary care doctor was cancelled in June. Coverage of some of my Rx's were cancelled or amended as of Jan 1st. I could not in all good conscience recommend this company to my worst enemy. Avoid them with all due haste.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am enrolled in Humana Medicare through my Kentucky retirement program. They pay the monthly premium and retirees do not have a choice in the selection of the supplemental carrier. I am very surprised by the quality of service! Humana has never been a carrier I have much regard for.

Original review: March 13, 2018

It's not enough coverage for a person that's disable and on a low income budget. Not good dental coverage, not good health coverage, not good vision coverage.

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information