Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

1094 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I am a type 1 Brittle Diabetic. My prior insurance company, which was also a Medicare plan, approved my insulin and pump. At the first of the year I switched to Humana. First off they denied my insulin, a prior authorization was done and it was denied again. Then they denied my pump supplies. At this point not only was my doctor's office working on this, so was I. I am going on almost 3 months now with NO INSULIN! If it wasn't for My endocrinologist and her office supplying me with samples, I would be dead.

Also Omnipod has sent me a few pods to help, need a new one every 72 hours. Humana was NOT contacting my Doctor's offices after repeated calls to find out about the appeals. Their denials are untrue! What I was needing has been approved by Medicare, and I was receiving all this before Humana. By suggestion by 3 different medical specialists. Change insurance companies ASAP! Type 1 Brittle Diabetic, and denied insulin needed and pump supplies. Reason for denials have been proven BOGUS! What they are doing is criminal! Yes, everything documented, so if I die because of this, my family has a good lawsuit! They want to play Doctor, they better have Malpractice insurance. I just don't want anyone to have to go through what I am. Just glad Arizona Endocrinology and Omnipod company are helping me out, keeping me alive actually, till March 1st when new insurance kicks in.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I've been with Humana 8 years and never had 1 problem until now. I order all 5 of my meds 90 day mail order. Their new policy is only 30 day max supply of ** which I will need the rest of my life due to severe anxiety. That makes me pay 3 copays of $17 ea month instead of $19 for 3 months. I'm on a fixed income and every $ counts nowadays. They have figured a way to make 3x as much...what a shame! I now get 180 3 month supply from Walmart for $16 using GoodRX.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Company doesn't pay claims. Company doesn't answer the phone (when they do they are people who don't speak clear English and the connection is poor). No matter what question I have I never seem to be in the correct department and cannot call this company without spending at least an hour on the phone, of this hour I spend 45 minutes on hold or TRANSFERRED. Employees don't know anything about insurance and have a million excuses for everything. Pay your claims.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Rec'd a call to have expired RX refilled. had to give all information to automated voice. Waited for rep, explained that I need to update DR info as I have a new Dr. After giving all info again, she said she couldn't do it and had to transfer me to another Dept. Transferred, gave all info and that person said she couldn't do it, that I had a different group plan so she would have to transfer me. Waited again... on phone 23 min, got disconnected. They had my number in case disconnected, but didn't call back. Got on line to try to change Dr. info. "Chatted" typed, with rep. after typing for another 20 min, she said she had to transfer me. I told her my Dr. information and asked her to contact whatever Dept needed it, that I was finished after being on phone and computer for 45 min. Unbelievable that they couldn't just take the Dr. name and put in in computer. AND one of my pet peeves is that you have to give your information over and over again.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

TRICARE has now a contact with Humana for all off base referrals. I got a referral from my doctor (military base) the middle of December 2018. It is now end of January 2019 and I am yet to be seen by a specialist. Humana keeps denying my referral saying my info is incomplete. My doctor and nurses have been sending information after information in to Humana without success. I have been calling Humana’s customer service. The people who work the phones are overwhelmed, rude and noncaring. Humana is by far the worst choice TRICARE could go with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

On January 21, 2019, Enrollment Department trainer, Rebecca **, in Tempe, AZ, used live patient records (mine for instance) instead of demos to train enrollment department representatives. I discovered this when I received an unsolicited welcome to the plan. I discovered that they had added a physician's name, whom I never heard of, and a powerful drug, which I do not take! To my records. Several hours after being notified that they did this, they had done nothing to remove the offending employee or audit their records to see how many others' private medical records had been exposed without consent.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

You know what they say, "the bottom rises to the top," as in SCUM. Just check out the contacts at their "bored", oh, I mean, "board" of directors, and try to email them, you can't now... Last time I did about their non-payment of my claim, after several calls to their ehmmm "customer service" folks (that of course leads to delay and constant frustration), I was called back by more than a hidden threat, as the man said, our "business model," was to my distaste. Don't let the fancy credentials fool you, this group is profit minded, that's it, are you kidding me? They don't even try to hide it now... It's out there.

Today presented yet another fiasco, they owe me 100.00 for a 200.00 claim, and I got the runaround for over 1 1/2 before giving it up (but not without a fight, let me tell you). They have trained monkeys working for them; not that they aren't already stupid, but trying to reason with a stupid person, who is trained to act more stupid, that's more than an exercise in futility, now isn't it. I just emailed their corporate counsel, who's also an MD, as he is the only one listing an email address, lol! I expect more threats of intimidation, the greedy creeps of the world unite under such as these. All the best.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I called 3 times this week and was put on hold because all the CSRs are helping other people. 90 minutes I held on and gave up. Either they have 2 people answering phones of they are so incompetent that they are flooded. Anyway, DO NOT TRUST THEIR Rx program. They messed up my coverage so I had to pay out of pocket. Finally after 2 months someone saw their lack of paying attention to detail. So my coverage is good. Now to get my money back, I as a disabled person am told I have to got to the different pharmacies to collect paperwork. How about I break both your legs and demand you make it through a Marine Corps Recruit Depot to get your money and life back? Kind of hard. Humana lacks the Human in their Fake Name.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My husband and I just moved to Florida six months ago and were told by a broker that Humana is a popular insurance in our area. We are meeting with someone this morning about changing to a different company. We should have read the reviews before committing to Humana. If you can get through to a representative you can be sure they will give you false information. They are poorly trained and don't know anything. While looking for a new physician I called to see if his office was in network. They told me no when in fact he is.

I am constantly getting robo calls from Humana telling me I have to call an 800#. When I do get someone on the line they have no idea why I'm calling. I recently had to see a specialist for an eye problem and they paid hardly anything. Again couldn't get any information as to why. I have PPO managed Medicare. So far we've had no major medical problems. We're getting out now before we do. This is the worst insurance. Wish I could give it no stars.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My daughter has only been on Humana since the 1st and I have already made countless frustrating, phone calls. She was assigned a PCP that is closed, her daily med has been denied that she needs to manage her autoimmune disease. I am out money on a Dr visit even though I followed their instructions on how to go and submit authorization number. These people act like they care about you when you speak to them on the phone, but their actions prove they wish to deny claims and requests at all costs no matter how much it hurts the health of the patient. I have canceled this plan for a new plan starting in February.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

If I could give Humana less than one star I would. None of their customer service reps know what they are doing. They are poorly trained and they ALL have very heavy accents. It is impossible to understand them and I literally have to call multiple times to have the same conversation over and over because I can't understand most of their reps. They also give out inaccurate information. They'll tell me something is covered, and then I found out later that it isn't... Leading to hundreds of dollars in bills that I shouldn't have had to pay. I needed to have surgery but I was afraid to do it while I was on Humana because everything they tell me about coverage is incorrect. It was impossible to estimate the cost of surgery (and I know they'll find any excuse or bizarre rule to get out of paying for things), and I was terrified that if I had the surgery I'd end up with an enormous bill.

To top it off, Humana's premiums are absurdly expensive for the quality of the insurance coverage. I switched to a different insurance company recently and so far they've been amazing. Their customer service reps are well trained and easy to understand. They offer a cost estimator tool on their website so I can prepare for my surgery and have a good idea of how much I'll pay out of pocket. I will never go back to Humana. They are by far the worst insurance company I've ever dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

If you need a prior authorization, it will take an army to get it approved! Beware! Your life depends on medications that require prior authorizations! Run from this company! They will cost you money in the long run! Don’t be fooled!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Am just starting with Humana Medicare for 2019. I am taking chemo tx for breast cancer and they give me nausea medicine. Humana says they looked at surveys that say the type of chemo drug I am having infused has a lower risk for nausea and vomiting so they will not pay. So with my concerns about my cancer now I will take my chemo without preventive nausea medicine. I had heard Humana was a good company but this is terrible. I will have to try and find some over the counter medicine.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I've been a Humana member for years, paying by automatic withdrawal. Suddenly that stopped and I was billed by main for two months overdue. I got that paid over the phone, but have been unable to get my account set back to auto pay. This is because I can find the card that has my member ID on it. I've tried several of their phone lines, but their phone tree doesn't work for this. I've tried chat and almost got through, but there is no space for me to type my chat response. How about hiring a real human for some customer service?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Surgery was scheduled, was preauthorized. Dr.'s office has the name of the individual that provided the preauthorization, the date it was given and the time it was provided. The night before the surgery we got a phone call from the Dr.'s office stating that the insurance company had called and said they were canceling the preauthorization. I wouldn't recommend Humana to my worst enemy.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I broke my foot 18 days ago. It was a weekend so I contacted Humana and they told me which urgent care to see. I sat there for 45 minutes to find out they no longer accept my insurance. Went to the ER to find out that fractured all the bones on the outside of my foot. They told me to see an orthopedic surgeon within 2-3 days. I saw my primary doctor that Monday. He did an urgent referral to an orthopedic surgeon. That Wednesday my referral was denied because Humana said I had changed primary doctors. Which I had not! So I contacted Humana and got that squared away. My doctor put in another urgent referral. It took a week for the authorization. I was told which orthopedic surgeon to contact. I called to find out they no longer accept Humana.

I called my doctor back. My doctor's office called EVERY orthopedic surgeon in my network to find that none of them are accepting Humana insurance anymore. So I contacted Humana. They referred me to a podiatrist 46 miles from my home! I called my doctor. He said that this podiatrist will not handle the "complex" fractures of my foot. So... I filed a grievance with the Florida Medicare/Medicaid program. They contacted me and said they were get in touch with Humana and instruct them that they need to provide me with an orthopedic surgeon. Humana contacted me and said they would TRY to find an orthopedic surgeon in my network and if they can't they would contact those that were in the network that they need to provide me services because they are still under contract until Jan 1.

Well, Jan 1 is right around the corner. Chances are I won't get in to see them because they will say they don't have an available appointment to avoid accepting my insurance. By the time I see an orthopedic surgeon, if I can see one, they will need to re-break my bones in order to set my foot. I also need surgery on my rotator cuff. Doubt that will ever happen either. Been dealing with that since May.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I went to emergency dept in my network after Urgent care informed me to. I was having chest pain, left arm numbness and pain. I thought it was a stroke or heart attack. So grateful to still be here. Anyway, Humana denied paying the medical bill for emergency dept that is $15,476.00. Wow. I had never had any problem before with Humana. My primary doctor and Urgent care say I did the right thing by going to ED. Humana still insist it wasn't an emergency so now I am appealing this. Humana is saying Urgent Care should have taken care of me. I definitely need to find another health Insurance.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I am enrolled in Humana Gold Plus Medicare Advantage HMO. I was originally assigned to a Medical Group in Florida to a primary care physician when I moved from Texas October 1, 2018. I contacted Humana on 11-08-2018 and requested to change to another medical group since I was not happy with the physician assigned. I was told I could change as long as I chose one in the network. I gave them the name of the one I found on their list of providers. I have been seeing him, however, received a call today from the Medical Group stating Humana would not cover since Humana states he is not listed as my PCP. I contacted Humana and talked to a representative. I was told they have it on record that I did call on 11-08-2018 to request the change. However, I was told that the medical group is only covered for specialists.

I informed the rep that the physician I saw is listed as a PCP. The Humana rep changed his statement and acknowledged that it was true, however, he stated the doctor is not taking new patients. I informed him that I have been seeing him. I was then told that since he is not taking new patients, I may not use that physician since Humana may not be able to assign him. The rep stated that if they can, it won’t be effective until January 1, 2018. I was told on November 8, 2018 by Humana that my change to that medical group would be effective December 1, 2018. In short, Humana has no idea what is going on and has given me wrong information which is now costing me a lot of money. I have had to cancel my appointment with a specialist as a result since I am concerned Humana won’t cover him, even though he was referred.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Humana told me they stopped giving vacation overrides but to get my prescriptions filled locally and I would just be charged a deductible or co-pay. However when I went to the pharmacy I was informed that Humana would only provide an override for one medication and that I would have to do without my blood pressure medicine for 6 months unless I had to pay cash out of pocket. This is the first time that this has ever happened. It looks like I will have to change to another insurance provider sadly.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

To begin with, I think it is ludicrous and suspicious that a major health insurance company does not allow messaging through one's online customer account. I can only conjecture that they don't want to record anything in writing in order to be accountable to the subscriber. Therefore, a subscriber is doomed to call customer service and get people who appear to be untrained and unknowledgeable and can't transfer a call correctly. When I have to spell the word endoscopy or explain renal ultrasound, that's a big clue that customer service is lacking in credentials. I am done with this company and will be enrolling with Anthem instead.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I signed up for an Advantage. A week later, I canceled it. What a nightmare!! It is a month later and they still haven't got it straight. When I talked to customer service at Humana for the 8th time, they told me they had 2 computer systems with conflicting information about my plan, had assigned me 2 member numbers and did not know how to fix it. One system said I was canceled, the other said I had an active plan, but I am actually canceled. Medicare told my doctor that I had Humana, and Humana told them I didn't have Humana, so doctor will not give me an appointment. This mess doesn't seem to end.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been denied removal of skin tags, I only have those remove when they hurt, I still have plenty of them. I was told that I had exceeded my lifetime allowance of screening for Prostate cancer. I suffer from PTSD from my time in Vietnam and these jerks have limited me to 20 Therapies per year. There is a reason why Veterans are medicated. It is for your safety not ours. All in All I believe Humana is one of the reasons health insurance gets a bad reputation. Denial of benefits that makes no sense.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

If I could give Humana zero stars, I would. They will find any loophole, make up any narrative, and completely dismiss science and facts in order to not have to pay out for a medically needed procedure. Especially when it's something covered under your plan! Don't bother calling their customer service, their agents aren't medical professionals and the only assistance they will provide is how to contact their appeal department. Which is only by fax or physically mailing them an appeal. The appeal department must not exist because I faxed them EVERY SINGLE DAY for 2 weeks and not once got a response.

It wasn't until I emailed the president of Humana, Bruce D. Broussard, that an individual from the Executive Resolution Team reached out to me. I had hope that if I escalated my situation, someone would actually take the time to look at my case thoroughly. They didn't and ultimately my claim was denied because a "private review agent" did not take the time to properly review all of the evidence and documentation provided. I will continue to fight this decision, too often people give up and that's how insurance companies win when they shouldn't. It's a crooked industry and I am not going to allow them to take advantage.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had some tests done, called Humana 3 times to get estimated costs. Yes, I understand that they are estimates. Each time I called I got a different answer. I went ahead and got the tests done, big mistake. I now owe a $1300.00 bill. They charged me a $325/copay to have a tube removed for a test that started the previous day. I was there for 10 minutes, that's some big overhead. I have tried working with their claims department to no avail. It seems that they have done nothing to research the charges or get in touch with the provider. Their words, "We stand by our original decision." If this is how you treat your consumers, then that is bad business practice.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I have always liked Humana Medicare coverage. But today I am in pain and so terribly disappointed. I updated my policy, a big mistake. I changed my address, DO NOT EVER MOVE! I cannot even get into the system to look for a provider. You see, when I put in my old address, I CAN ONLY GET PROVIDERS THERE, a 2 day, several thousand mile trip. WOE is me, I have HUMANA. They gave me a number, so I can call back tomorrow. REALLY??? That is your best?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have horrid pain sciatica of the back and neuropathy of both legs... Something odd is going on with the generics 'cause they are making me sick and no pain control like the meds I get in the hospital like ** it works for my pain in the hospital but as soon as I'm realised I am VERY SICK AGAIN AND IN HORRID PAIN. Humana refuses to pay for name brand so I can live outside of the bed. So they wait till Saturday to deny me the meds and I can't buy them. They are $2,000. I am in Pain Management. All this is documented. I really feel there is definitely a catch here and I'm taking this to the top for discrimination... Why? Absolutely some patient of Humana is getting name brand with far less medical issues as me so I'm going to the top. FIND ANOTHER PROVIDER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO PUT YOUR HEALTH IN DANGER.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

So I got this insurance about 28 days ago. I did careful research. In the last 28 days I have gotten a 200.00 pair of glasses. Got my teeth cleaned. Went to my an eyeglass script. All at no cost to me. I also talked to customer service and got a great person to take care of one issue. Not sure about why there are so many 1 stars? So are trivial, though. And as a general rule people only complain on many sites like this.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I had a sciatica attack 4 weeks ago. My primary responded immediately. His P.S. gave me 3 shots of cortisone. However, the issue was not resolved. My Doctor referred me to Pain Management. So I get unhappy for four weeks later. I even spoke to the Humana Nurse hotline. No resolution. Work. I am a hairstylist. I have had to endure this horrific pain. Shame on Humana. I am 1st seeing pain management doctor.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My Dr was listed on the internet and in the 2018 Humana directory. I was then billed for my physical and wellness checks, saying the Dr is out of network. Which I was under the impression they were covered under my plan at no cost to me. I will not have this insurance next year!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My wife and I both went on the Humana Medicare Advantage Plan when we turned 65. At first everything was fine. No complaints at all. Then my wife started to have problems receiving care. To the point that she could not even receive a flu shot. On her first contact she was told the problem was that she had another insurance carrier. She did not. Only this plan. Customer service said they would look into this, and correct the problem. After about a month, she went to receive a flu shot again along with me. Not approved, the pharmacy said she had another plan. This time I called, at this point I was upset. I asked customer service what the hell was she paying for through her deduction from Social Security.

The pharmacy told her she really needed to get this corrected in case she had to go to a hospital, and then find out she wouldn't be covered. We were assured it would be corrected. We left the pharmacy. A few weeks later, she went back to get her shot. Not approved. Finally the pharmacy figured a way to push this through. There is only one division to blame on this. Customer Service. We have both changed our plans that go into effect at the first of the year. We both hope she can get by until then.

Humana expert review by Joseph Burns

Humana is one of the largest and best-known health insurance companies in the United States. It offers health care services for individuals, business owners and military personnel.

• Large variety of plans: Consumers can choose between HMOs, PPOs and other plans. There are group plans available for employers.

• Well-known company: Humana has been in business for a long time and is one of the best-known health insurance companies in the United States.

• Supplemental and low-cost options available: Humana offers supplemental insurance for seniors and low-cost insurance for people on fixed incomes.

• HMOs and PPOs are cheaper: Health savings accounts and other plans tend to have higher premiums or higher deductibles.

• Offers Medicare Advantage plans: Humana offers Medicare Advantage plans.

• Best for: Heads of families, senior citizens, employees

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information