Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Humana Health Insurance
1.78/5

Humana Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1159 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 15, 2019

Finally a salesperson I could understand completely! The knowledge of finding me a better policy and then explaining it to the max and answering all my questions. Even saved money every month for more value.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Switched from one provider in Humana Gold Plus to another due to incompetent nurse practitioner and lack of professionalism. Loved my new doctor after one visit which included discussion of treatment for pre-diabetes. Agreed to try a statin when she told me she would be fired if she didn't prescribe one due to high cholesterol. Received a call one week later from nurse advising medical director was ordering me to take 2 ** which was twice the dose prescribed by the doctor and 4 ** which was 4 times the dose prescribed by the doctor.

I told them I quit taking the statin because after 3 days of taking it I was weak, disoriented and had muscle soreness so severe I could barely walk. I was also having severe stomach upset from the **. I decided to get more serious about control of carbohydrates and cut back to 100 to 125 grams per day. Blood sugar is now usually below 100 fasting and estimated A1C is 5.3 with no meds. I cut back on sodium as well. Blood pressure is now 117/74 with no meds.

To hell with the incompetence of drug pushing, lazy physicians. Plan to find a new insurer and new doctor again. I won't tolerate a medical director who has never spoken to me over prescribing drugs which I don't need. My personal doctor knew my goal was to get off drugs through diet and exercise. She knew I exercised 90 minutes 6 times per week and that I log my food. Such incompetence by the medical director could have killed me. I've had blood glucose as low as 66 since modifying what I eat. How low would it be with 2000 mg of ** per day?

Original review: April 14, 2019

Five years ago I had a major heart event. Humana was right there for the emergency care, through an induced coma and aftercare with visiting nurse and food sent to my door. Through the following years Humana has provided excellent care and followup.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was totally mislead about the change from Medicare to Medicare Advantage. If I could change today I would. In the zest to make a sale the explanation of the change was totally short of the realities.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The copays were too high, cost of insulin was ridiculous, the case managers never knew what was going on with you. Switched case managers almost monthly, it was difficult to get insulin for my pump under Part B Medicare.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: April 12, 2019

My doctor ordered a prescription through Humana and Humana kept sending emails that this order required my approval. Five days later no answer to any email and final a Humana Rep said the site was down and maybe my doctor could give me samples of the blood pressure med till they got it together. The next rep ordered the meds and said it would be shipped overnight. I next find out they are out of this prescription and will send it when they get. Did arrive, so next Humana Rep sent me to CVS for the prescription, which a $15. This was after speaking to eight persons at Humana. 10 days later. They simple are not functional.

Original review: April 12, 2019

The fees go up and the covered services drastically disappeared. For a retired Military family who have no choice this is despicable. We no longer are eligible to receive Optometry care, Dental Care, and almost all tests and frankly critical preventive heart and other care are routinely deemed 'unnecessary'.

Original review: April 12, 2019

So far I have been totally pleased with the service. I am facing some major surgery, I'll know more about my feelings after that process. The pharmacy service is excellent and very prompt. It is very easy to keep in touch with them about my needs.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Medicare Gold Plus plan with prescription coverage. Referral process is cumbersome. Large selection of doctors and specialists and no co-pays in many instances. I am very satisfied with my Medicare and prescription drug coverage.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Humana is very popular among Medicare recipients but I found the price that you paid for their services was not a good value. Their co pays were higher most, the local rep was hard to reach and when I called into customer service I always had long waits before I was able to speak to a rep. Their drug plan was good but I only have 2 prescriptions a month so that wasn't helpful to me.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Why are not all insurance overages transportable from state to state, region to region? Why is there different forms for each company? Why so many tier drug levels? Why is dental not considered medical and appropriately covered?

Original review: April 9, 2019

I have been with Humana for only 4 months but so far I am very pleased. I have IOLA primary care under this plan and they have been very nice to deal with. I have received referrals promptly from my PCP and Health Coach.

Original review: April 9, 2019

They inundate you with paper, every month. What can put in a sheet of paper (front &back) takes them 12 pages. Every month. They also inundate you with nonsense phone calls, even when you opt out. It seems the opt out only lasts for a month, then they start calling you again.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Great if you have 40 hours a week to spend on the phone with them. I’m not used to being lied to. Time for them to approve a referral was min 30 days up to 5 months. They seemed to go out of their way to deny care, deny you spoke before, or deny your doc sent paperwork. What a great business model. Collect insurance premiums and then refuse to authorize service. “No, you’ve never requested that before. We don’t have any paperwork. We don’t know what you’re talking about.” That way they never have to officially deny a claim or deny service.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I had surgery and had to pay money out of my pocket. Plus they claim I owe $1,000.00 which I don't understand why. I don't have money like that but, at least I thought it would have been paid. Please tell me what's going on and help me. I been on my job for awhile now and money coming out of my check every pay period. I just don't understand. I do need the help from them.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Doctor cannot get paid to do a standard blood test. Must go elsewhere, why can't the doctor in a HMO get paid for a blood test when other doctors that take the same HMO can get paid for a blood test? Must you get a PPO? They don't tell you this before they give you the policy.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Humana has taken good care of my medical expenses to a degree. I do have a serious issue about them not caring that monies are being stolen from them by health care professionals. For the simple fact when they are billed that means I am billed and I refuse to allow people to steal from me. Especially when it is the same doctors that refuse to treat me.

Original review: April 5, 2019

At times over the last 6 years Humana & staff has helped my husband & I more than any other organization. He has had a nurse come to our home, food delivered when we were broke, prescriptions at no copayment and so many other things to help that it's been unbelievable.

Original review: April 5, 2019

They need to provide prescriptions that work and not sugar pills. Getting at least 3 of mine from Walmart and CVS as Humana's are no good. All are pills relating to blood pressure and heart. Did not have this problem when using Blue Cross.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I want the extra help Insurance the dental. I cannot find anyone that accepts this insurance to redo my dentures. And these glasses ended up costing me old hundred dollars out of my pocket. I do not like that at all. I am very dissatisfied with the extra help. As far as paying for my medications fantastic. I love what it pays on copay and my medical doctor.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I'm on disability and cannot afford the cost of meds through them... When comparing most were $0. When I receive them, some are up to $26. The deductible is too high therefore I cannot receive the care I need. I am almost 60 and would love some TRUE advice on a better plan.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Despite repeated attempts to tell Humana I am not interested in their dental plan, they continue to harass me with unwanted mailers. I have asked them to remove me from their mailing list but the junk mail just keeps coming. After reading the reviews of this company, the people I really feel sorry for is the members. Thank goodness, I'm not one of them. ;-)

Original review: April 2, 2019

My nose doctor told me I need surgery. Humana has yet to approve my doctor request for surgery because I don't want to work with a nurse. I am not 50 or older. They don't care about their clients at all. Fyi all.

Original review: April 2, 2019

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM THAT COULD NOT BE SOLVED. They cover all my hospital bills and X-rays, etc, have rides to hospital and doctor's app. Never had problem with understanding the bills, and questions I have. Can get answers on net also.

Original review: March 27, 2019

It is ok and health insurance is hard to get and the companies don't do all that they should for their clients or customers... Health insurance is very expensive and it doesn't cover nearly as much as it should.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I could probably go on forever with how horrible Humana has been since the government has switched the Tricare North region under their care. My last pregnancy I had multiple doctors appts with the same doctor, at the same location, every time. My base messed up my active duty status (their fault) and it took almost a year to get corrected. Unfortunately, I had an ultrasound (SAME PLACE AS ALL THE OTHERS), during the timeframe I was shown as not active (when I was). It took a year to get Humana to finally acknowledge and approve my claim. Only for some reason, they only paid half of the claim. I'm active duty military and part of my entitlement is full coverage so there is no reason why they should only have covered half of it. I gave up fighting that battle as it no longer became worth it (couple hundred down the drain...)

My daughter had a doctors appt (same doctor she always sees) that wasn't covered. I had to pay this bill out of pocket, then go back and file a claim personally through Humana to get it reimbursed. It eventually did get reimbursed but this should have never happened to begin with. 3) I've had multiple other claims denied that required phone calls to get corrected. This makes no sense. My status hasn't changed. My doctors office hasn't changed. So why do I need to call to make sure this company is doing its job?

The most recent, my husband received an approved referral for an MRI. He gets the MRI where he is approved to go. For some reason, the billing dept of this company has a different ID than the hospital he went to and now Humana once again is denying our claim. This brings me to my next issue, I have sent the required form to speak on behalf of my husband with them multiple times. Somehow they keep losing it. My husband does not have a job where he can easily make phone calls so I am the only one who can handle this. Half the time when I call Humana, they can't help me because they "dont have the form." There is no organization or consistency with this company. HORRIBLE SERVICE. Never had any issues with Health Net. Humana just keeps getting worse.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was ran around several times from this insurance company for their HMO dental plan. I can't believe that a business as big as this (maybe that's the issue) just runs people around. They made me wait two days before being assigned to a dentist and then me and the dentist's office kept waiting for them to assign me. Wasted about 45 minutes each phone call with Humana. If it wasn't for my school paying for this company I would not have them. I will be seeking out a new company after my insurance is up in June.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Not only is it completely frustrating dealing with Humana on the phone but the amount of confusion they intentionally cause is incredible! In my area they sub my coverage out to another company, the sub company is great but they dont share information with each other. So if I want to see a specialist I have to get approved by a company that I never chose to be involved with. When it comes to prescriptions, forget the fact that your doctor completed medical school and sees you in person in his or her office because Humana will decide what medications you can and can't have.

Your doctor might write a prescription for you and Humana will make your doctor jump through hoops and try other medications that might not work as well or at all but in order to approve the first medication you'll have to try 2-3 others first. Someone with a GED or high school dropout has more authority over your medical care than your actual doctor, SCARY!!! Even if it costs a bit more somewhere else I strongly suggest NOT choosing Humana.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Worst insurance ever. Half of the customer service reps barely speak English. I finally got fed up with one very rude person who simply could not speak the language. When I asked to speak with her supervisor, she refused to put me through. Another rude rep put me on hold for almost half an hour. My phone battery ran out, so I lost the call. This company covers next to nothing, and whatever claims are submitted, ALWAYS come back as being charged more than what Humana believes is reasonable. We had a $5,000 deductible with a $7,500 family limit. Two years in a row, our out of pocket was in excess of $15,000.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I will change my insurance away from Humana during next enrollment. I have had far too many difficulties with them as compared to other carriers. I will pay much more to a different carrier just to get reasonable service.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information