Compare Quotes and Save

Compare Quotes and Save

Find Short Term Health Insurance

Shop Plans Today

1103 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been denied removal of skin tags, I only have those remove when they hurt, I still have plenty of them. I was told that I had exceeded my lifetime allowance of screening for Prostate cancer. I suffer from PTSD from my time in Vietnam and these jerks have limited me to 20 Therapies per year. There is a reason why Veterans are medicated. It is for your safety not ours. All in All I believe Humana is one of the reasons health insurance gets a bad reputation. Denial of benefits that makes no sense.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

If I could give Humana zero stars, I would. They will find any loophole, make up any narrative, and completely dismiss science and facts in order to not have to pay out for a medically needed procedure. Especially when it's something covered under your plan! Don't bother calling their customer service, their agents aren't medical professionals and the only assistance they will provide is how to contact their appeal department. Which is only by fax or physically mailing them an appeal. The appeal department must not exist because I faxed them EVERY SINGLE DAY for 2 weeks and not once got a response.

It wasn't until I emailed the president of Humana, Bruce D. Broussard, that an individual from the Executive Resolution Team reached out to me. I had hope that if I escalated my situation, someone would actually take the time to look at my case thoroughly. They didn't and ultimately my claim was denied because a "private review agent" did not take the time to properly review all of the evidence and documentation provided. I will continue to fight this decision, too often people give up and that's how insurance companies win when they shouldn't. It's a crooked industry and I am not going to allow them to take advantage.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had some tests done, called Humana 3 times to get estimated costs. Yes, I understand that they are estimates. Each time I called I got a different answer. I went ahead and got the tests done, big mistake. I now owe a $1300.00 bill. They charged me a $325/copay to have a tube removed for a test that started the previous day. I was there for 10 minutes, that's some big overhead. I have tried working with their claims department to no avail. It seems that they have done nothing to research the charges or get in touch with the provider. Their words, "We stand by our original decision." If this is how you treat your consumers, then that is bad business practice.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I have always liked Humana Medicare coverage. But today I am in pain and so terribly disappointed. I updated my policy, a big mistake. I changed my address, DO NOT EVER MOVE! I cannot even get into the system to look for a provider. You see, when I put in my old address, I CAN ONLY GET PROVIDERS THERE, a 2 day, several thousand mile trip. WOE is me, I have HUMANA. They gave me a number, so I can call back tomorrow. REALLY??? That is your best?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have horrid pain sciatica of the back and neuropathy of both legs... Something odd is going on with the generics 'cause they are making me sick and no pain control like the meds I get in the hospital like ** it works for my pain in the hospital but as soon as I'm realised I am VERY SICK AGAIN AND IN HORRID PAIN. Humana refuses to pay for name brand so I can live outside of the bed. So they wait till Saturday to deny me the meds and I can't buy them. They are $2,000. I am in Pain Management. All this is documented. I really feel there is definitely a catch here and I'm taking this to the top for discrimination... Why? Absolutely some patient of Humana is getting name brand with far less medical issues as me so I'm going to the top. FIND ANOTHER PROVIDER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO PUT YOUR HEALTH IN DANGER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

So I got this insurance about 28 days ago. I did careful research. In the last 28 days I have gotten a 200.00 pair of glasses. Got my teeth cleaned. Went to my an eyeglass script. All at no cost to me. I also talked to customer service and got a great person to take care of one issue. Not sure about why there are so many 1 stars? So are trivial, though. And as a general rule people only complain on many sites like this.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I had a sciatica attack 4 weeks ago. My primary responded immediately. His P.S. gave me 3 shots of cortisone. However, the issue was not resolved. My Doctor referred me to Pain Management. So I get unhappy for four weeks later. I even spoke to the Humana Nurse hotline. No resolution. Work. I am a hairstylist. I have had to endure this horrific pain. Shame on Humana. I am 1st seeing pain management doctor.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My Dr was listed on the internet and in the 2018 Humana directory. I was then billed for my physical and wellness checks, saying the Dr is out of network. Which I was under the impression they were covered under my plan at no cost to me. I will not have this insurance next year!!!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My wife and I both went on the Humana Medicare Advantage Plan when we turned 65. At first everything was fine. No complaints at all. Then my wife started to have problems receiving care. To the point that she could not even receive a flu shot. On her first contact she was told the problem was that she had another insurance carrier. She did not. Only this plan. Customer service said they would look into this, and correct the problem. After about a month, she went to receive a flu shot again along with me. Not approved, the pharmacy said she had another plan. This time I called, at this point I was upset. I asked customer service what the hell was she paying for through her deduction from Social Security.

The pharmacy told her she really needed to get this corrected in case she had to go to a hospital, and then find out she wouldn't be covered. We were assured it would be corrected. We left the pharmacy. A few weeks later, she went back to get her shot. Not approved. Finally the pharmacy figured a way to push this through. There is only one division to blame on this. Customer Service. We have both changed our plans that go into effect at the first of the year. We both hope she can get by until then.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The only reason I took this plan was because I’m disabled and under 65 and it was the only one available to me in the state of Virginia. If I could give it zero stars I would because they are the worst plan ever. The only good thing that has come from using this plan is that I have found the app/sight GoodRx. That is the only thing. I call the company to ask questions and I can barely understand the customer service. They are the worst insurance plans ever created. Instead of giving me one of my meds so I can function they would rather me be on narcotics. To me that is absurd. Absolutely absurd.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

After 3 hospital stays this year I learned that Humana does what it says. My wife also has a pop and had one hospital stay and numerous doctor visits and test. Her medicines alone were in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. She is on their pharmacy plan and receives medicine promptly. We are satisfied with our Humana PPO.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Sorry, I won’t spend another penny of my hard earned money on this company. They give you the runaround. Their in-network information was outdated. Their fault not mine. I have no control over the information they publish. They were not helpful when I called them about it and couldn’t see my preferred doctor listed on their site. I spent a lot of time on the phone with them and nothing was resolved.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Decided to try Humana. An insurance agent for Humana come out to the house stated to me the new policy that I will receive will be the same as the old I paid. No co-pays, no premiums and am on Medicaid. After it was all said and done received a letter from Humana stating I had a $25 copay, $25 premiums that would be taken out of my check and everything stated that I would have to pay money. My medicines were more. Someone please stop Humana from lying to people to trick them into buying their policies. Nation beware. Humana is crooked. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Humana Medicare of New York has very affordable premiums and pay for minor things. But God forbid you need continuation of extensive care or physical therapy to be self sufficient again. They will do everything to stop payment even if it is not safe to do so and it is even documented as such in the PT notes. Most of the intuitions I have spoke with have shared similar stories about Humana.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Paying for a supplemental dental insurance close to a year now. (Since Jan 1 2018). On October 25 I receive an email from Humana thanking me for choosing Humana. Then directing me to their website to set up an account. I presumed this was for 2019 selections and an attempt to get me to sign up for healthcare, (I even called Humana to complain about it being an underhanded attempt to get me to sign with them). As it turns out now, it appears they just now are getting around to actually showing me as covered (today Nov 10, 2018) as I received an email today showing application of a payment mailed back in October, fully 2 weeks ago.

I had a scheduled dental appointment for Mon Nov 12, that the office called me on the 8th, to inform me my procedure would not be covered. I have had this appointment scheduled for 6 weeks! I called Humana to ask about this, without even checking my Dental plan or plan number, I was told that the procedure was not covered.

I find it interesting that the paperwork I received in the mail this week, comparing my 2018 plan to the new improved plan for 2019, indicates the procedure was in fact covered 50%. As to whether I have had any coverage all year, I can not say, either they dropped my coverage without notification, mis-placed my payment, or hold payments, drop coverage and apply payments later to avoid paying for covered services, or unintentional errors... uncertain what the heck is going on.

I ended up canceling my Dental appointment, and still do not know what to do. I do not show that my plan has a preferred provider, and wondering if that is the reason. Largely, I do not feel confident that Humana will actually pay for anything and wondering if I should just go ahead and cancel the policy. My parents just signed up for Humana for next year and after a recent trip to the pharmacy were advised their policy had been discontinued for 2018. Not true, numerous phone calls were unsuccessful, a trip to a local office, and several days without meds to get that resolved.

Reading numerous reviews here that echo similar issues with Humana does nothing to improve levels of confidence. We purchase insurance to help reduce anxiety about the mishaps in life. Knowing with certainty that the coverage we "think" we have can be denied, or requires a battle to obtain, only raises more anxiety. Insurance should not be a game of battling it out to prove you should be covered, fighting with numerous people sitting in a call center that can not understand you or you them. Doing so for a simple dental procedure, only raises concerns about what happens if the needed coverage were an emergency?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I probably have a hundred websites that I sign into on a regular basis. Never any real trouble EXCEPT Humana. Try to get help? LOTS OF LUCK! Their requirements exceed anything resembling sanity. My and I share an email address. They won't accept us both on the same.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Worst Medicare Supplemental Ins. Ever!!! Haven't found one specialist in my area that accepts this insurance. According to my policy, I have a $25.00 co-pay for an In-Network Urgent Care facility. I had to go to this urgent care 2 times within a two-month time frame and saw Physician's Assistants both times. The urgent care facility verified my co-pay was $25.00, but later, I was billed $40.00 for each visit because Humana claimed I saw a Specialist. Humana stated that the urgent care provider did not code the claim correctly.

I checked with the urgent care provider and they said the code was correct, but Humana has a history of denying claims due to this reason. After numerous calls to Humana and getting NOWHERE with them, I visited the urgent care facility and explained my problem. They said Humana is a nightmare to deal with and was very gracious and "wrote" off my charges.

The Explanation of Benefits Statements are a joke. They "explain" nothing, however, they make it clear that the claim was denied and gives you instructions on how to appeal a decision. The appeal process is long, tedious, and very unnecessarily complicated to even attempt. Oh, and good luck trying to talk to a representative and not a recording. Once you happen to get to talk to a real person, good luck again speaking with someone that is knowledgeable about anything. I changed my insurance to another carrier during the open enrollment. Humana is a joke!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I have had Humana for my Medicare part D program and couldn't be happier. Now, keep in mind I am only on one drug. But their automated phone service calls me regularly and reorders my monthly medicine with a few clicks... DONE. I am very happy with them, although they raised their price this year. But after looking at other plans, I think I will pay a few dollars more and keep Humana... don't want to invite hassle! Hope this helps you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Called in to request a letter emailed to me stating that I no longer have coverage through them in order to start new coverage with another provider as we had an employment change in our household. Policy is for Humana to MAIL you the letter, which is sent 7-10 business days after processing?!! WHAT AGE ARE YOU LIVING IN?!?! It makes more sense for you to use paper and toner to print a letter, put a stamp on it, and mail it than it does to EMAIL IT?!?!? HOW STUPID!! NO WONDER your ratings are so poor!!! You deserve it. In the age of electronic medical records, you still choose to use mail correspondence for something so simple which could be generated and emailed in 90 seconds, literally. Good riddance!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

It’s the only insurance I ever bought that I was totally unsatisfied with. The agent I had lied to me. She just wanted to sell. I would never tell anyone to buy it. It was crap. The agent said she would be back and go over the policy after I took it - never saw her again.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

This is the worse service I have ever seen from a health care provider of seniors. My mother has been sick for months and cannot get them to approve the testing that she needs. Cannot believe they can advertise such great service and provide such care for the elderly. They should be ashamed of the way they treat their customers.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I signed up for the free plan, "I am on a limited income" and without my permission my procreation plan was changed to a 49 dollar a month plan, after 8 phone calls, 4 hours talking and holding, I have a $400 bill for a service I did not ask for, unable to resolve this issue I canceled the plan in November and now I am on the basic Medicare plan. All Humana wants is to upsell you to new services. I have reported my case to Medicare.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Applied for drug plan through broker. All went well until I received letter saying I had canceled plan. I had not talked with anyone at Humana. My broker was unaware of issue and was told by Humana that I had called to cancel (untrue). They gave a number for me to call and have reinstated. I called and went through detail event and was told they could not help and that I would need to talk with sales. They did connect me to sales and once again I went through the detail. At completion he said he did not cover KY and that I need to wait online for someone to cover my plan options.

I then heard him scream out and ask “who covers Kentucky. At that point I informed him to forget it I would go with another insurer. I thought this would end my issues with Humana. Today (4 days later) I received another letter from Humana with detail on when my plan goes into effect and at what cost. I had to again contact them over phone to deal with this issue. They confirmed again my plan was canceled and did not understand the lates letter. Most people I spoke with clearly had no understanding of how to deal with a nonconforming issue and made it seem as if it was my problem. Very disappointing for first time dealing with this company.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

When Tricare switched management companies at the beginning of 2018, I followed every instruction I received to ensure that my health insurance would have a smooth transition. Somehow, there was a missed payment in January. I didn't notice when the payment did not come out of my retirement check, and I did not receive a notification that the payment was missed. In fact, payments via allotment occurred every month after.

Suddenly, I received a letter saying I had been disenrolled from Tricare in May, without any other communication on the matter. I was able to get reinstated without a lapse (small victory), but I then set out to get payments started again. It is now October and they haven't figured out how to process a recurring payment via allotment to save their lives. Each month, I spend hours setting it up, make an interim payment via credit card, and wait until the next payment does not happen. I switched to auto withdrawal from my bank account this month. Wish me luck.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I received a liver transplant in 2014. Humana, at that time covered my rejection meds under part D. Now they have reclassified my meds to be covered under part B, which is costing a $100 more for meds I can't live without. I have wasted countless hours on the phone trying to get an answer why, yet no one could tell me. All they would say is file an appeal, which I did and they turned me down. Then I was told by Humana that I could file a grievance, which I did about 1 month ago. Yesterday, I received a bill from them for $756. They went back all the way to 1/2017 and reclassified all my rejection meds. They billed me extra for meds I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR!!! I will not be paying them another dime. This bill is their response to the grievance that I filed.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have the Humana Gold HMO. The plan offers a free dental cleaning once a year as long as you use Humana's dentist in network. Great. So I went to Coast Dental in my area. Got to the dentist and requested the general cleaning but to my surprise Coast Dental would not do the general cleaning unless I paid $150. I walked out. So then I went to another dentist in my network Aspen Dental. After 2 hrs of extensive trays they too would not do a general cleaning only a deep cleaning. For get this they wanted an astonishing $4,000 dollars. Guess what? I walked out. So in the end Humana sucks. I am now looking for another health care provider.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

A rep from Humana made an appointment with me to meet me in a public place (Dunkin Donuts) in my town, on a Sat. morn at 10:00 AM to familiarize me w/ Medicare Advantage Plans. He never showed (or called). It was a great inconvenience to me to be in that time, place, and hour. I waited 20+ mins, then went home. If this is how reliable they are, I do not ever want to deal with Humana again and will keep my present Medicare Plan.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I am a Navy Reservist who enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select when I left Active Duty in 2016. On 06 July 2018 I attempted to switch my primary care provider from Massachusetts to Maryland, because I was moving for work. This is when I discovered I was no longer covered under TRICARE. Humana findings reflect that I was sent notification on 02/07/2018. No such letter notification me. As a result of not receiving this notification, I was out of coverage from 2018-02-01 to 2018-07-05. The reason I failed to notice that I was outside of the 150 grace period, is because I did not seek regular medical care or have any prescriptions and the insurance fee for TRS is less than $50/month, an amount so small, that I did not notice when it no longer came out of my paycheck.

The lapse in coverage makes me liable to a federal fee estimated at 2.5% of my yearly household income, prorated for the months I was out of coverage, up to a maximum penalty of $2,085, which I expect to pay on my 2018 tax return. Please see link for details: ** My stance is that no such notification reached me, via any medium and that it was irresponsible for Humana to drop me from coverage without attempting to notify me via phone, through my primary care provider, or by send additional letters or attempts to contact me in other ways. It would have been simple to obtain my emails through TRICARE, as they are linked to my DEERS on milConnect.

I believe the assumption was that I would seek coverage or have a prescription(s) that would have to be renewed within 150 days and that, therefore, I would notice I was out of coverage within the grace period. However, I did not seek treatment, nor have prescriptions, and was completely unaware that I was out of coverage until I attempted to switch my coverage to a new state and schedule an annual check-up. To this day, I do not know why your notification did not reach me.

Below is a timeline of the facts as I know them: January 2018 – I received a letter in the mail from Humana informing me that TRICARE had switched primary care providers. The letter instructed me to provide my Checking Account and Bank Routing information so that I could be enrolled in auto-pay for Humana. I filled out the letter and mailed it in. Unbeknownst to me, this particular piece of paper did not enroll me in auto-pay, it simply charged me for a single month of coverage (January 2018).

February 2018 – I am dropped from health care coverage by Humana without knowledge. Humana claims they sent notification. I received no such notification and because I thought I had enrolled in auto-pay in January, I did not make a note to pay my fee again. July 2018 – I move from Massachusetts to Maryland for work. I attempt to switch to a local provider and find out that I don’t have health insurance anymore. I contacted Humana to get back on insurance and attempt to get coverage for the months I was out of coverage. The same day, I sent a grievance letter to Humana, explaining my situation. September 2018 – I received a response from Humana. Their stance is that they sent me notification and did not receive a response. I don't know what kind of notification it was, I assume it was a letter in the mail that never reached me.

Since July I have contacted members of my Navy Reserve units in Massachusetts and Maryland. I have several people who can attest to the fact that Humana’s letter, sent in January 2018, gave the impression that it would enroll members in auto-pay, but instead only charged for one month of coverage. In several instance my fellow service members told me that Humana admitted the mistake to them and that the originally letter, sent in January, should have enrolled members in auto-pay. These members were given the opportunity to have their coverage back-dated, because Humana admitted the error to them. The difference is that most of the fellow sailors I talked to, either seek regular treatment or have family that do. Because of that, they immediately noticed when they were out of coverage. I did not seek treatment for over 150 days, and therefore did not realize I was no longer insured.

I strongly believe that there are many other military members in a similar position. Furthermore, I believe that many other people currently do not realize that they are out of coverage, because they have not sought treatment and were dropped without proper notification. When dropping member from health insurance, I believe due process includes some verification that the notification was received by the member, or that it would be beyond a reasonable doubt that they would have received the notification. The VA follows similar principles, contacting members every month via mail, e-mail and phone when it is unclear members received notification to an issue that could cause grave financial hardship if not addressed, such as falling medically ill while unknowingly out of coverage. Alternatively, the notification should have been sent certified mail, to ensure that it reached the intended recipients.

I intend to write my congressional representatives, the state attorney general's consumer protection bureau and the inspector general to request a preliminary investigation to look into this matter and ensure that Humana takes actions to rectify the situation by aggressively notifying all members who were dropped from insurance since January 2018, informing them that they are no longer covered. Furthermore, I believe Humana should bear the cost of federal penalties imposed on all of those members, for failure to follow due process in ensuring these members were made adequately aware that they had been dropped from coverage.

For the record, I do not plan to claim any illness or care for service during the time I was out of coverage, as I did not seek any medical services from January 2018 – July 2018 and did not fall ill. I simply intend to either seek that my coverage is back-dated for the months I was out of coverage, or that Humana pay the federal penalty for my lapse in coverage, which will come due on my 2018 taxes.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

After 30-40 calls I am still nowhere in trying to get $46,000 back from someone who is withdrawing money monthly from my bank account. I am not even a customer. Beware. They can apparently do the same to you.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My wife and I have been members since 2012. I never missed a payment. I'm on auto pay. My wife broke a tooth and we had to pay for it ourself which we assumed we had full coverage. We decided to upgrade our coverage to include major services in case we need it in the future. I called your customer support and recorded the conversation and was told it would be 74.99 a month with no waiting since we had continuous coverage since 2012. I told the gentleman, "Let me call my wife and see if she wants to pay that and have her call you back." My wife called 30 minutes after I called and was told she will have to have a 12 month waiting when she told them she has a recording that the person my husband spoke to said no waiting.

The principle is not about waiting 12 month. We got the tooth fixed. You can contact our dentist and he will tell you it was a back tooth and all other teeth are healthy. I will provide my dentist contact below. The representative was rude would not let my wife speak to a manager and if this is the treatment your company training is that's a shame. I'm so angry that I will not stop till this is resolved. I will contact the media if I have to resort to that.

My wife is Magda ** and she deserves an apology. We don't care about your waiting period because will look for Dental insurance somewhere else with a 12 month waiting. This treatment is unacceptable. Her contact information is **. Our policy number is **. My dentist name is Dr. **. Representative didn't want me to talk to her manager after insisting. She kept me on hold for 1 hour 23 minutes. I posted online a Short video her telling me her manager was going to be on the phone all day. (I told her I was recording the call.) Also a picture of my teeth that I take great care of.

Humana Health Insurance Company Information