Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
Humana Health Insurance
1.68/5

Humana Health Insurance

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

1185 Humana Health Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 8, 2019

Although I have been with Humana for three years, I find this organization utterly impossible to work with. If you have a question, require clarification, or have any other lead that requires telephone contact, you will easily spend an hour jumping through hoops. You try to work around this issue by using the Internet, but there are the frustration even exceeds that which you experienced on the phone. I stay with Humana only because I don’t know where else to go to improve service and coverage. On one occasion where I required surgery, approval from Humana came so late that I had to reschedule the surgery delaying the procedure for weeks. Select them at your own risk!

Original review: July 8, 2019

I switched from a United Health Care HMO to a Humana PPO in Florida based on Humana's superior ratings and lower annual maximum cap. I'm 70 years old. I've been engaged in non-stop warfare with Humana since April over denial of prescription medication reimbursement during a hospital stay and their refusal to prescribe a drug that was not included in their formulary, despite my physician's claim that only this drug could successfully address a medical issue. I appealed their denial to Maximums Federal Services, a so-called independent "third party". They denied me as well. Neither Humana or Maximus even attempted to suggest an alternate drug. As a last resort I appealed to Medicare and a legal hearing before a judge was held telephonically. Two days later he issued a ruling in my favor forcing Humana to supply me with the drug.

Trust me, it was an exhausting battle. I'm still fighting them over their refusal to pay for drugs administered during a hospital stay. I was on the phone with Humana for over an hour this morning, spoke with 3 different departments, none of which could tell me why the claim was denied, before the call was abruptly cut off. Here's the thing... they have very nice customer service personnel manning the phones but as a company they are incredibly frustrating and difficult to work with. I don't have the energy or the patience to continue dealing with these people. And neither should you.

Original review: June 26, 2019

My parents are in their 80s and suffer from dementia. A Humana salesman came to their house and got my dad to sign them both up for the Humana Medicaid supplement. On their behalf, I called several Humana sales offices to explain - mother is on Medicaid and does not need the extra Medicare supplement, nor does my father. Plus, in our county in Indiana, it provides them worse coverage (less days) for rehabilitation services. Regardless - they were signed up under false pretenses.

Finally, got a hold of a Charles ** at ** and he apologized profusely and promised to take care of it. It's now a few months later and come to find out, nothing has been done. My mother had to go into a nursing home for rehabilitation on her hip and Humana is making her leave before she is ready - whereas regular Medicaid would have covered her longer. I called and left a message for Charles ** twice more and did not receive a return call. I'm very upset with Humana. This should not be allowed to happen. They should not be allowed to take advantage of disabled senior citizens.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Humana Military took over Tricare East in January 2019. I have 7 claims with them so far, and they have illegally denied five. I appealed and cited the correct law that pertained, and they again denied the claims and again used the same illegal reason. I have now informed them in writing FIVE TIMES, and they still don't understand their incompetence. We should come together and file a class action lawsuit against them.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have been pleased with what Humana covers pertaining to my hip surgery and rehab!! I feel so confident with the PT and OT therapy I have received since released to skilled facility before I go home that I will be safe and learned the do's and don'ts after surgery to continue to heal and move safely after surgery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Humana?

Original review: June 18, 2019

I had a Neurostimulator put in 3 years ago and it stop working. They scheduled me for a removal of the device and Humana would not approve it. Now I am stuck with a non working device and no way of getting it out. I would caution people about trying to have any kind of procedure done. It takes months for Humana to approve anything. This is the worst company anyone can get.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I call on insurances everyday for dental patients and Humana is THE WORST. The customer service reps don't seem to speak or understand English well, and if you have any questions, forget it. You'll never get a straight answer. Just wait for them to tell you they need to transfer your call - they'll just put you right back in the queue where your call will sit for at least 45 minutes, only to be answered by another rep who also tells you they need to transfer your call. It's intentional. They're counting on offices and patients getting so frustrated they just accept what pitiful information (or in the case of dental offices, PAYMENT) you're given. If you have a choice for your medical/dental insurance, AVOID Humana.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have had Humana Dental several months now, paying close to $60 per month for my coverage. During this time I have never received any proof of coverage or any form of an Insurance ID. I also phoned around asking different Dentists if they accept this insurance. Even Dentists Humana says are in the Network. Well I was told over and over the coverage is useless. So I ended up cancelling my policy. Why should I pay for insurance that covers nothing and is useless. So several months I have wasted my money. Humana customer service agents barely spoke English. And talk about rude. The agents are horrible. Humana is an Insurance Company I sure as heck don't trust. I'm glad to be rid of them!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

Last week I had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. The doctor prescribed liquid ** for pain control. Humana denied the liquid saying they allowed tablet form. Humana apparently does not understand bariatric patients cannot take pills following surgery. I had to crush it to take it.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My wife has been diagnosed with cancer. She had appointments through two different doctors (oncologist and radiology oncologist) for chemo and radiation which must be run concurrently. First Humana would not authorize one of the chemo meds, which cause us to delay treatment several days. Then Humana refused to authorize two radiation treatments a day. This caused another week of delay in treatment. Both authorization were finally authorized. BUT the patient should never suffer through this bureaucracy especially when faced with cancer where every minute is precious when treatment is concerned!

Humana Health Insurance Company Information