2.33/5
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

276 Farmers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 27, 2018

Although I want affordable insurance and one with good value such as USAA, I am held hostage to the fact that my area is considered a burnable area and too high although any small fire we had has been quickly put out. Also there are other areas with much more fire damage.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I closed on a two-flat apartment building (to be my new primary residence) in Chicago, IL on March 30th, 2018 while I was away in Georgia on military duty. My military orders ended on April 28th. On April 29th I traveled to take possession of the property and found that someone had broken all the windows to the first-floor apartment. That same day I had the doors and windows boarded up. The next day, April 30th, I returned to the building with a contractor to discover someone had broken in and stolen the copper pipes and caused damage to walls, cabinets, and doors.

After sevens weeks of investigating I was informed that my loss is not covered by my policy due to section 1 A 21. a. (1) of the policy, which states, "Vandalism or Malicious Mischief or Arson if the Dwelling is Vacant. We do not insure loss or damage which directly or indirectly is caused by, arises out of or results from: a. vandalism or malicious mischief if: (1) the dwelling has been vacant for a period of 30 days prior to the vandalism or malicious mischief;"

My claims rep (TIMOTHY **) consistently insured me that this provision wasn't there as a gotcha rule, but it is there to protect Farmers from fraudulent insurance claims. To me, it seems to be a gotcha. It was determined the property was vacant for 31 days, the 31st day being the day I noticed the theft and damage. I'm not even sure that if the policy has been rightly applied. The policy states that "Vandalism or malicious mischief does not include theft of property." Well, my pipes were stolen, are they not covered? Would that not also include the labor charge to replace them? So is Farmers telling deployed military members that if they are deployed for more then 30 days their properties aren't covered against vandalism or malicious mischief?

Farmers Homeowners Insurance 276 Reviews and Complaints - Read Before You Buy

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 20, 2018

So I have this problem with the water leak in our bathroom pipes which is concealed in the walk in closet. My house was built 2013. I am the first owner, I don’t have the copy of our policy. I’m trying to call my agent. Left a message. No respond twice. I called customer service and I was then transferred to a person named Joshua, he called me. And went to my house. Spoke with my husband. He ask everything if how much we're gonna pay out of pockets, deductible and he was answered "You are not paying anything". So he send a guy from Ontario which there is a same company around my place in Victorville.

I was the one home and he went to assess the house damage and he told, “Actually I can fix it right now.” Me knowingly that I will not paying anything as we were told. I said, Well okay then.” He fix it. Treated it. It is my first time having this problem and claiming it. We were fed wrongly information and lied by Mr Joshua **. And there is a local same company that can fix the issue. I told them I was misinformed by my claim representative. I don’t have 1500$ deductible and my bills as I was told is 900$. They can’t explain it and keep telling me I have to pay the deductible.

I told the supervisor Michelle I am on disability and whatever I am getting is for my house mortgage and payment of 2 cars. I don’t have money. If you explained to me how much my deductible if I can’t afford it I won’t let you touch it. Is there any way I can file a complaint because I don’t know how to pay that amount of money. I’m on Edd and I am pregnant. My husband does not work fulltime cause he is the one taking care of the baby and me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Farmers is okay. We had a tree fall on our roof and they treated us fairly but not great. I would probably recommend them but I am not a big fan. I like their commercials but I wish they would spend money on claims instead.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I've never filed a claim, but costs go up every year, and coverage shrinks. How can I afford homeowners AND flood insurance, too? My income doesn't go up, but my costs do. Makes it hard for a senior to live in their own home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: June 10, 2018

My Farmers agent (Julie **) in Southern CA has been raising home insurance rate from $558 in 2015, to $611 in 2016, $650 in 2017, $690 in 2018. What a game! Their service is bad. No respect to long-term customers. Okay. Bye bye Farmers.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The insurance went up 4 times as much because of fires. Totally unfair as I have not had a fire since the house was built. My last insurance dropped me and it was a very lame excuse!

Original review: June 9, 2018

All insurance premiums are too high. Had to make a claim on homeowners and replacement of part of bathroom after deductible, depreciation, etc still cost me $3300 and that was using lower grade quality than what I had. Should have just put monthly premium under my mattress and I would have saved money.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I don't like paying for other people homes and I never had to ask for any claim pay out when it happen. Such as a roof or siding problem when a storm damaged my house! But the insurance companies keep raising my premium each year, even when I don't put in any claims. Why? The claims are at the other end of the U.S.A. Miles from my house not even in my state.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Just bought a home about 10 mos. ago and discovered a plumbing leak that was occurring with the toilet. Called and made a claim and they sent out an inspector and the claims adjuster... Then came the very very fine print about my situation and why they are unable to cover my claim. What's worse was the extremely cavalier and dismissive attitude of our agent (Bill **). He's a total company man - dispassionate and defensive. It felt like that scene in the movie The Incredibles, where the Mr. Huph was instructing Bob Parr never pay a claim. I honestly don't know how these people can sleep at night knowing that they willfully deceiving people into thinking that they are "covered" should anything serious happen to their home. What a lie. Needless to say we be leaving this company as soon as I can replace our coverage. Bottom line - I would RUN from Farmers Insurance Co.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Every time I filed I did not get paid and my deduction is high. And plus they went up and I have not had a claim in five years or more so why go up on my insurance. It cause my house note to go up.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Each mailing from Farmers is just another "WE WON'T COVER THIS" announcement. If it is just fire insurance, then the costs should not be this high. I was in a flood zone (NOT) and never had a chance of flooding. But the people on the river flood every other year. WHO is paying for that: me. This is another big scam on a long list of scams that the insurance industry perpetrates. But I love my local office and the people there, trying to make an honest living in a dishonest industry.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We were loyal Allstate customers for over 30 years. When I requested a lower rate on both Homeowners and Vehicle insurance They wouldn’t budge. I contacted Farmers and was signed up in 24 hours. It could not have been easier. The agent made us feel at ease and explained everything fully, answered all our questions. We have not had a claim yet. Renewing has been easy every year. We are even contacted regarding other features Farmers offers.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The claims dept. could be better. Long response time and difficulty reaching the adjuster at times. We never got to see him in person which was kind of odd.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Farmers is a well established company that I combined with my car insurance & sleep better knowing that they will be there when & if I need them. It is a trustworthy co.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Farmers Insurance is the best agency that a person could ever ask for. I recently had to claim where someone ran into the telephone pole and cost $21,000 worth of damage to my property. When they hit the telephone pole they ripped out the power in my house and damaged a lot of other stuff. They also damage the retaining wall. Farmers within 48 Hours had the money in my bank for me to replace everything. No other agency would have work that fast.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Our agent is difficult to reach and then makes us feel like we are imposing on his time. We have 3 autos and HAD a homeowners policy. The homeowners policy was cancelled after one year because the house wasn't finished yet. We are building it ourselves and is over 50% complete at cancellation. We are shopping for another insurance company.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Local agents are great and always helpful. However, if you ever find yourself having to go through an underwriter, not so much. For instance if you have an old 50+ year old trick, they'll want maintenance and repair records even if you've always done them yourself.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Premiums are way too expensive, coverages are less as they keep raising premiums, too many exceptions to policies, deductibles are too expensive, especially the wind/hail. Insurance is supposed to protect customers, be there when there is a claim, not gouge customers with overpriced premiums and high deductibles for wind/hail, etc. Getting to the point where we may have to relocate, premiums go up for no reason. Too many high paid agents, CEOs, need to focus on affordable, fair coverage for customers.

Original review: May 30, 2018

They assigned me an agent from out of town and she has never returned phone calls or emails. Very frustrating. I am considering switching to another one this summer.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Had Farmers for 30 years, when pipes broke in house Farmers would not even cover carpets. After shelling out $70K over 30 years, switched companies. Farmers is not trustworthy and failed to provide coverage as advertised.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I wish that my homeowner's insurance premium was not so expensive. My mobile home is an older home and because of that I have to pay more in premiums each month and my deductible is also too high.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have a friend who lost her home in the Tubbs fire. All of her neighbors were on a private social line comparing the behaviors of the insurance companies and advising each other. Some companies demanded a itemized list of all belongings, some excepted a general idea. Farmers were “okay”; AAA was outstanding; State Farm sucked with disorganization.

Spend time preparing your home policy with the agent, line by line. Ask, in writing, if a complete inventory of belongings is required or not. Understand fire and flood insurance and what it covers on your home and your car. Don’t just use price to pick your insurance company for home or car. I have been with Farmers for over fifty years. I do periodic checks with other companies and I am paying mainstream prices. I like having an agent. The Farmers agent was wonderful and takes care of minor claims. Everything went smoothly for my minor claims.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Farmers Insurance is good as long as you do not have a claim. Three years ago I filed a claim for hail damage to my roof but only the back of the house was damaged. Farmers would not pay for any of the damage but stated I needed the back of the roof replaced. I just filed a claim. Shingles came off the front of my roof from heavy winds. Again Farmers stated I needed half of the roof replaced but with my deductible they will pay next to nothing, again stating only half the roof was affected. I was told part of the problem is that I did not replace the half of the roof three years ago. As soon as the claim is finished I will be changing insurance companies. I also have auto insurance with Farmers. When I had a auto claim my car was totaled and they gave me $600.00 less because my car engine was DIRTY!

Original review: April 29, 2018

When my policies with Farmers expired, I switched to a competitor. Farmers continued to bill me, so I called and let them know that I had changed carriers. Farmers had the gall to request proof of coverage with my new carrier - which I supplied in order to end the whole business. They responded by sending threatening letters from their collections service with WARNINGS to take action against me. Despite several contacts and numerous calls to Farmers, this harassment went on for months. My agent even offered to pay what the company was requesting. No WAY - I didn't owe them a nickel. This had nothing to do with my agent - It was solely an issue fabricated by Farmers.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Beware of Farmers Insurance! They will do anything to earn a dollar and not pay a claim: Tell lies, ignore coverage, misrepresent facts, dodge inquires, fail to conduct with integrity a full investigation, and fail to provide clear reason for denial supported by applicable policy provisions. I filed my first property claim, 5 years paying, under my homeowner’s policy: Section 1, Coverage C Personal Property, “we insure accidental direct physical loss or damage.” Loss or damage means theft or distinct and demonstrable actual physical injury to or destruction of the property." My hand was struck and caught in a pool vent that altered my ring, loosen the diamond and it caused it to fall out. My claim was to reshape band and replace the 2 carat diamond.

Farmers denied the claim, without investigating, examining the ring or photos. In their first denial letter, (Alexandra **), failed to list the "Accidental Coverage Provision," or reason for denial. Instead, they simply copied from the policy, without explanation, inapplicable exclusions. After they stated that I reported “ring damaged when reaching into a vent,” they immediately proceeded to dishonestly claim that “lost was unknown" and "losing or misplacing items is not a covered loss.”

After questioning their failure to address the “accidental coverage" and misrepresentation of the facts, they finally sent a 2nd denial letter, that included the policy "accidental coverage provision." However, this was done without explanation or reason as to why said coverage did not apply or why they chose to misrepresenting the facts. They pursued this dishonesty by bringing forth different representatives, Michael **, Shaun **, Brititini **, & Adam **, who made up different versions of the claim facts and lost, dodged questions, told outright lies, and refused to acknowledge “accidental coverage” provision.

After resorting to e-mails, to stop the dishonesty, I finally stated that Farmers were not operating in “good faith,” and would like to verify Farmers' administrators addresses, so I could file a complaint. They responded, "We have hired attorney, James **, and "all further communication must be directed to him."" Interesting, this attorney, sent a letter, identified my claim as a “theft claim, not accidental, and never explained why Farmer had hired him. I had already submitted my complaint to three of Farmers’ administrative officers, Jeff **, Keith ** and Tim **, all failed to respond. The attorney finally responded, “although correspondence was prior to him being retained, Farmers requested that I respond.” Of course he stated that Farmers denies "allegations of bad faith, etc."

I submitted this complaint to the Insurance Commissioner and Better Business Bureau. I am still awaiting a response from the Insurance Commissioner. Farmers responded to the BBB with even more outrageous lies, claiming, that "diamond was lost," "constant wearing of the ring had worn it out and it failed to hold the diamond," too contradictorily stating, I have "not, in fact suffered a loss of the diamond as she is aware of its location." This is sad!

Needless to say, I canceled all three of my policies: home, auto and golf cart, all had endured price increases every year, only to find out that I would not receive a refund on my golf cart. Farmer’s (Agent Kevin **), without asking or informing, had insured the golf cart under a “fully-earned” premium. The insurance co. had immediately earned full payment, regardless of when policy was canceled. No refund. Who does this?

STAY AWAY or RUN AWAY FROM FARMERS. We the public, need to let Farmers that we truly know a thing or two about dishonest insurance companies that go to any length, to rip off and con honest people, just to increase their profits. Then hide behind attorneys for egregious acts that they have committed. Shameful and the SWAP must be drained.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had water damage at my home. Adjuster deny case without even study... than oops he made mistake.. Down the road I was covered only some part but only what he want to approve not actual damage due to water damage. It takes them forever to approve. They should've been doing resolving the claim... but all ** (adjuster) is doing finding ways to void claim do investigation!!! For what... it's water damage. Need to fix problems not voiding it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Two goals for my story. To potentially save you money, and in doing so, to cost Farmers the same or more than they are costing me by your saving money. So here goes: First - education. For jewelry, if you turn in an appraisal for $X.00, you will pay the premium for $X.00 for the entirety of your coverage unless you specify otherwise. If there is a loss or theft, Farmers does not necessarily PAY you the amount on the appraisal mapped to the premium amount you are paying. They will pay you “up to” the amount of the coverage. They pay you “market value”, even though you are paying the premium for the amount on your appraisal.

The example is: I submit an appraisal for the amount of $20k. I pay premiums accordingly. My ring is stolen. Farmers assesses that market value is $10k. I am paid $10k even though I’ve been paying a higher premium which maps to the $20k. On the flipside, if I give them a $10k appraisal, and pay the associated premium of $10k, but they value the ring at $20k at the time of loss, do you think they pay you $20k? Nope. They pay you the $10k. In my opinion, that’s Farmers having their cake and eating it too.

This is what I learned when the same scenario happened to me on my modification coverage for my Jeep. So here’s that scenario, and the second goal of my email, which is to have Farmers do the right thing, or fix the system, which I feel is misleading and “cake and eat it too” mentality. Oh, and cost them money by your saving money. 3 years ago, I added a highly modified Jeep to my policy. I asked how much Farmers covered for modifications, and they told me “up to $50k”. I agreed to coverage, and provided receipts for $55k in modifications. And I’ve been paying the additional premium for “up to $50k” in mods for the last 3 years. (Extra $640 annually).

Fast forward to a month ago. The Jeep was stolen and considered a total loss. The “depreciated amount” that they are willing to cover? $27k. Do things depreciate? Yes. Did they depreciate them year over year and factor the lower value in when assessing my policy each cycle? No. Did they continue to charge the premium of “up to $50k” in modifications year over year? Yes. In my humble consumer opinion, there should be a depreciation calculation factored in when Farmers chooses to cover modifications. I would then have the choice to agree to those and continue coverage, or move on.

So, in a nutshell, I pay for higher coverage than I am being paid on. JUST like jewelry. The Texas Department of insurance told me that there are no laws regulating this, that insurance companies are here to make money and there is no legal recourse here. “Why would they tell you your stuff is worth less, and charge you less if their bottom line would be impacted negatively?” I IMPLORE you to reassess your coverage on jewelry, and covered vehicle modification/accessories, to be sure you are not overpaying. And I can only assume that Farmers does not want this to happen due to the millions of dollars they would lose by consumers knowing this.

Farmers? Anything to say? Would LOVE to hear your public response. It took me hours and hours to find the information I posted, to include how much extra I was paying for modification coverage and to confirm that I was still paying the higher premium. Happy to answer any questions. #farmersinsurance #farmersinsurancecomplaints #farmersinsurancereview #farmersinsurancestories #farmersinsuranceunhappycustomer @farmersinsurance.

Original review: April 7, 2018

On 04/05/2018, sometime between 1 am and 5 am, we had a water-line break in our upstairs bathroom and judging by the amount of water, it ran for several hours. Floors upstairs, and walls, floors and everything in the rooms below was soaked! Well, that's what we have Homeowner's Insurance for, right? A policy that we've been paying into faithfully since 2003, NEVER missed a payment, and NEVER had a claim before.

So I called the insurance company, Farmer's Mutual, thinking it would be just a matter of a claims adjuster coming to our house to assess/verify the damage (I had taken pictures too before we started mopping up the worst of the mess). This should be a "formality", right? WRONG!!! The insurance agent on the phone started reading off to me what is covered... fire, explosion, smoke, lightning, blah, blah, blah, vandalism, airplane crash, sinkhole and... wait for it... VOLCANO eruption!!!

"VOLCANO??? In West Virginia? What are the chances of that?" So our policy covers things that are LESS likely to occur than winning the lottery jackpot 10 times in a row, but it DOESN'T cover something as likely to happen as a water line breaking??? So, if you have a Homeowner's policy with Farmer's Mutual, then READ YOUR POLICY'S FINE PRINT!!! Read it, and then read it again, and read the EXTRA-FINE fine print! Don't look for what it SAYS in there, but instead look for what it DOESN'T SAY!!! I'm still looking for the airplane crash and Volcano coverage in our policy... just in case we survive one of those and can file a claim for it to get our water damage taken care of.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Contacted Company to have my insurance changed from annual to monthly payments. No one responded and I went with a different company. They later responded sending me a notice from a collection agency.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers is a large, national insurance provider. The company was founded in 1928 and has grown to provide insurance policies for automobile owners, homeowners and motorcycle owners.

• Long-standing company: Farmers was started in 1928, meaning the company has a long legacy of offering excellent home insurance policies.

• Great customer service: Farmers has developed a reputation for providing excellent, individualized customer service. They are ready to process a claim quickly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Discounts: Farmers’ website offers customers advice about how they can get a discount on their premiums. These strategies include purchasing multiple policies from the company, asking customer service representatives about specific discounts online or via phone, agreeing to raise deductibles in exchange for lower premiums, and taking precautions to make homes safer.

• Service: Rates and service vary, depending on where service and coverage is being provided in the large area that Farmers serves.

• Rates: Farmers is known for increasing their rates from year to year, making their prices expensive compared to most of the market.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home