2.27/5

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

282 Farmers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

They state “Been there, seen it, covered it.“ A total lie!!! Our roof leaked causing severe damage to the living room ceiling and whole front wall. The ceiling is about to cave in from the water damage. We called Farmers to come and look at it. They said because the leak was not caused from weather damage to the roof, there was no coverage at all. They wouldn’t even cover the ceiling to be fixed. We will be changing insurance companies!!! Agent is Scott ** from Granville Ohio. Don’t trust Farmers Insurance to take care of you. They didn’t us!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Avoid these people. They do not use the quote you pull online. The rep who calls you creates their own policy with the overages they get bonuses on. When you file a claim they constantly change the requirements down to your need to inventory the levels of condiments in your refrigerator. They DO NOT PAY FOR ANYTHING IF YOU DO NOT USE WHO THEY PROVIDE. FRAUD. FRAUD.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I had my roof replaced but I had to save up for the deductible. Since it took me over a year to save up the $7000 they would not issue my check for depreciation for over $1800. It is an easy policy that most insurance (all but Farmers) simply extend the deadline and ethically issue the check as opposed to keeping your money. DO NOT GET INSURANCE THROUGH FARMERS!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Seeing all the negative comments and negative experiences with Farmers prompted me to put my own two cents in. We have had Farmers Insurance for over 25 years and have called on them two times for issues with our home, both times they were prompt and took care of the issues to our satisfaction. Our rates did not go up as a result.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Myself and my significant other were clients of Farmers Insurance for 14 yrs. The office in South St Paul, MN has very incompetent people in that office! We were called and told our motorhome insurance had lapsed when in fact it did have coverage! My significant other was contacted three different times about my homeowners insurance when in fact he has nothing to do with it. I contacted the office and told them not to call him on my property, but they continued to do so!

They canceled the homeowners insurance on my significant other's property saying the property was abandoned, when in fact he still lived there, with the property for sale! The agent stated he had "looked in the windows and saw the refrigerator was unplugged and assumed it was vacant"!! When we went to the So St Paul office to complain about our service, the woman at the desk was sitting with her shoes off and feet on the chair! She continued to sit like that as we tried to talk to them! Extremely unprofessional! We since have cancelled all policies. Three auto, One motorhome and Two properties! We would not recommend Farmers Insurance to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

On March 20th, 2018 my home was damaged my that terrible storm that came through consisting of high winds, heavy rain and hail. My current insurance carrier is FARMERS! A few months later we noticed a small leak in two of the bed rooms. At that time I submitted a claim. An adjuster came out to assess the damages. The adjuster himself never got up on the main roof. The contractor they use got up on the roof.

It was later determined by them both that there was no high wind or hail damages. They WOULD NOT give me copies of the images taken even after I ask for copies. I immediately had a roofing company to go behind Farmer's insurance. They took photos of my roof indicating that my roof did suffer some hail and high wind damage but not to exceed missing shingles. The high winds did get underneath certain parts of the roof.

FARMERS offered to pay for the interior that was damaged from the storm which only included painting. The repairs came to under $1000.00. They refuse to acknowledge and repair the cause of the leak. This doesn't make sense to me. I did not have those leaks in my bedroom during the purchase of my home. An inspection was done as well when I first purchased my home. The adjuster himself David ** was making smart comments to his roofer guy such as "I don't see how this roof even passed the inspection"! The roof is about 10 years old. My deductible is $2500.00 therefore the amount they are wiling to cover doesn't exceed my deductible which leaves to nothing to pay out.

I had two more roofing companies to come behind Farmers. They too said that I had hail damage. One of the companies ask what insurance company I had. I told them Farmers. They immediately replied that his company don't even use them because they are quite difficult when it comes to things like this. Well, anyway I received the results of my findings. I had my roofer guy to speak to them directly. He ask David ** the adjuster what was my right as a consumer to have another adjuster to come out? David ** was uttering as if he had a hard time hearing what was said and being asked. I waited for 3 weeks and never heard anything else about my claim. I then made an appointment to visit the local office. I found out at that time my claim had been closed.

I had someone in the local office to call on my behalf. FARMERS claims department appears to have never got the images that was uploaded to them. I showed the local office the comparison of the images taken by Farmers and what my roofer guys found. It was clear that I have hail damage as opposed to what specified areas Farmers decided to take photos of pertaining to my roof. I got that claimed open back up. FARMERS sent another adjuster out. The roofer guy for Farmers has indicated no hail damage. The adjuster needed one more opinion so he sent another roofer guy that works for FARMERS to assess my roof for damages caused by the storm back on March 20th. I received an email yesterday from the adjuster. FARMERS have concluded that I have no wind or hail damages as a result of the March 20th storm. Unlike to mention, I put down new hardwood floors a short time after I purchased my home.

As a result of that March 20th storm, I now have a leak coming from the roof in the front of my house that has caused damaged to my new floor. I been in my home for approximately 3 years. The new floor is just under 3 years old. I had no issues before that storm came through. FARMERS are not going to cover any of my damages. They also have concluded that the leaks are from bad a construction when the house was first built. If that was the case the leaks would have been determined before I purchased the home. I would think the evidence of the 2 bedroom leaks and the living room leak would not have been a surprised 3 years later.

My issues are a result of the March 20th storm. It is unfortunate that a company such FARMERS won't do what is right although I pay my premium. I'm looking elsewhere for insurance. How about 2 claims came up for one claim for the March 20th storm. My rate is higher because of what is showing up in the database. I called David ** supervisor Michael ** and explain to him what was coming up when I get quotes. He is telling me it is all one claim and that one claim is all he see. Other insurance company is telling me one of the claims is lightning and the other one is rain. There's nothing showing hail or high winds in the database for the one claim I've submitted.

In my honest opinion FARMERS sent their 3 roofers out to cover themselves in case this turns into a legal matter. I will contact the insurance commissioner on behave of their negligence. I hope my story goes viral because this doesn't make sense. Consumers need to know who these bad companies are when it comes to standing behind you when a catastrophic occurs especially if you are considered a valuable customer???

Original review: June 27, 2018

Although I want affordable insurance and one with good value such as USAA, I am held hostage to the fact that my area is considered a burnable area and too high although any small fire we had has been quickly put out. Also there are other areas with much more fire damage.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I closed on a two-flat apartment building (to be my new primary residence) in Chicago, IL on March 30th, 2018 while I was away in Georgia on military duty. My military orders ended on April 28th. On April 29th I traveled to take possession of the property and found that someone had broken all the windows to the first-floor apartment. That same day I had the doors and windows boarded up. The next day, April 30th, I returned to the building with a contractor to discover someone had broken in and stolen the copper pipes and caused damage to walls, cabinets, and doors.

After sevens weeks of investigating I was informed that my loss is not covered by my policy due to section 1 A 21. a. (1) of the policy, which states, "Vandalism or Malicious Mischief or Arson if the Dwelling is Vacant. We do not insure loss or damage which directly or indirectly is caused by, arises out of or results from: a. vandalism or malicious mischief if: (1) the dwelling has been vacant for a period of 30 days prior to the vandalism or malicious mischief;"

My claims rep (TIMOTHY **) consistently insured me that this provision wasn't there as a gotcha rule, but it is there to protect Farmers from fraudulent insurance claims. To me, it seems to be a gotcha. It was determined the property was vacant for 31 days, the 31st day being the day I noticed the theft and damage. I'm not even sure that if the policy has been rightly applied. The policy states that "Vandalism or malicious mischief does not include theft of property." Well, my pipes were stolen, are they not covered? Would that not also include the labor charge to replace them? So is Farmers telling deployed military members that if they are deployed for more then 30 days their properties aren't covered against vandalism or malicious mischief?

Original review: June 20, 2018

So I have this problem with the water leak in our bathroom pipes which is concealed in the walk in closet. My house was built 2013. I am the first owner, I don’t have the copy of our policy. I’m trying to call my agent. Left a message. No respond twice. I called customer service and I was then transferred to a person named Joshua, he called me. And went to my house. Spoke with my husband. He ask everything if how much we're gonna pay out of pockets, deductible and he was answered "You are not paying anything". So he send a guy from Ontario which there is a same company around my place in Victorville.

I was the one home and he went to assess the house damage and he told, “Actually I can fix it right now.” Me knowingly that I will not paying anything as we were told. I said, Well okay then.” He fix it. Treated it. It is my first time having this problem and claiming it. We were fed wrongly information and lied by Mr Joshua **. And there is a local same company that can fix the issue. I told them I was misinformed by my claim representative. I don’t have 1500$ deductible and my bills as I was told is 900$. They can’t explain it and keep telling me I have to pay the deductible.

I told the supervisor Michelle I am on disability and whatever I am getting is for my house mortgage and payment of 2 cars. I don’t have money. If you explained to me how much my deductible if I can’t afford it I won’t let you touch it. Is there any way I can file a complaint because I don’t know how to pay that amount of money. I’m on Edd and I am pregnant. My husband does not work fulltime cause he is the one taking care of the baby and me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Farmers is okay. We had a tree fall on our roof and they treated us fairly but not great. I would probably recommend them but I am not a big fan. I like their commercials but I wish they would spend money on claims instead.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I've never filed a claim, but costs go up every year, and coverage shrinks. How can I afford homeowners AND flood insurance, too? My income doesn't go up, but my costs do. Makes it hard for a senior to live in their own home.

Original review: June 10, 2018

My Farmers agent (Julie **) in Southern CA has been raising home insurance rate from $558 in 2015, to $611 in 2016, $650 in 2017, $690 in 2018. What a game! Their service is bad. No respect to long-term customers. Okay. Bye bye Farmers.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The insurance went up 4 times as much because of fires. Totally unfair as I have not had a fire since the house was built. My last insurance dropped me and it was a very lame excuse!

Original review: June 9, 2018

All insurance premiums are too high. Had to make a claim on homeowners and replacement of part of bathroom after deductible, depreciation, etc still cost me $3300 and that was using lower grade quality than what I had. Should have just put monthly premium under my mattress and I would have saved money.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I don't like paying for other people homes and I never had to ask for any claim pay out when it happen. Such as a roof or siding problem when a storm damaged my house! But the insurance companies keep raising my premium each year, even when I don't put in any claims. Why? The claims are at the other end of the U.S.A. Miles from my house not even in my state.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Just bought a home about 10 mos. ago and discovered a plumbing leak that was occurring with the toilet. Called and made a claim and they sent out an inspector and the claims adjuster... Then came the very very fine print about my situation and why they are unable to cover my claim. What's worse was the extremely cavalier and dismissive attitude of our agent (Bill **). He's a total company man - dispassionate and defensive. It felt like that scene in the movie The Incredibles, where the Mr. Huph was instructing Bob Parr never pay a claim. I honestly don't know how these people can sleep at night knowing that they willfully deceiving people into thinking that they are "covered" should anything serious happen to their home. What a lie. Needless to say we be leaving this company as soon as I can replace our coverage. Bottom line - I would RUN from Farmers Insurance Co.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Every time I filed I did not get paid and my deduction is high. And plus they went up and I have not had a claim in five years or more so why go up on my insurance. It cause my house note to go up.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Each mailing from Farmers is just another "WE WON'T COVER THIS" announcement. If it is just fire insurance, then the costs should not be this high. I was in a flood zone (NOT) and never had a chance of flooding. But the people on the river flood every other year. WHO is paying for that: me. This is another big scam on a long list of scams that the insurance industry perpetrates. But I love my local office and the people there, trying to make an honest living in a dishonest industry.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We were loyal Allstate customers for over 30 years. When I requested a lower rate on both Homeowners and Vehicle insurance They wouldn’t budge. I contacted Farmers and was signed up in 24 hours. It could not have been easier. The agent made us feel at ease and explained everything fully, answered all our questions. We have not had a claim yet. Renewing has been easy every year. We are even contacted regarding other features Farmers offers.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The claims dept. could be better. Long response time and difficulty reaching the adjuster at times. We never got to see him in person which was kind of odd.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Farmers is a well established company that I combined with my car insurance & sleep better knowing that they will be there when & if I need them. It is a trustworthy co.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Farmers Insurance is the best agency that a person could ever ask for. I recently had to claim where someone ran into the telephone pole and cost $21,000 worth of damage to my property. When they hit the telephone pole they ripped out the power in my house and damaged a lot of other stuff. They also damage the retaining wall. Farmers within 48 Hours had the money in my bank for me to replace everything. No other agency would have work that fast.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Our agent is difficult to reach and then makes us feel like we are imposing on his time. We have 3 autos and HAD a homeowners policy. The homeowners policy was cancelled after one year because the house wasn't finished yet. We are building it ourselves and is over 50% complete at cancellation. We are shopping for another insurance company.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Local agents are great and always helpful. However, if you ever find yourself having to go through an underwriter, not so much. For instance if you have an old 50+ year old trick, they'll want maintenance and repair records even if you've always done them yourself.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Premiums are way too expensive, coverages are less as they keep raising premiums, too many exceptions to policies, deductibles are too expensive, especially the wind/hail. Insurance is supposed to protect customers, be there when there is a claim, not gouge customers with overpriced premiums and high deductibles for wind/hail, etc. Getting to the point where we may have to relocate, premiums go up for no reason. Too many high paid agents, CEOs, need to focus on affordable, fair coverage for customers.

Original review: May 30, 2018

They assigned me an agent from out of town and she has never returned phone calls or emails. Very frustrating. I am considering switching to another one this summer.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Had Farmers for 30 years, when pipes broke in house Farmers would not even cover carpets. After shelling out $70K over 30 years, switched companies. Farmers is not trustworthy and failed to provide coverage as advertised.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I wish that my homeowner's insurance premium was not so expensive. My mobile home is an older home and because of that I have to pay more in premiums each month and my deductible is also too high.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have a friend who lost her home in the Tubbs fire. All of her neighbors were on a private social line comparing the behaviors of the insurance companies and advising each other. Some companies demanded a itemized list of all belongings, some excepted a general idea. Farmers were “okay”; AAA was outstanding; State Farm sucked with disorganization.

Spend time preparing your home policy with the agent, line by line. Ask, in writing, if a complete inventory of belongings is required or not. Understand fire and flood insurance and what it covers on your home and your car. Don’t just use price to pick your insurance company for home or car. I have been with Farmers for over fifty years. I do periodic checks with other companies and I am paying mainstream prices. I like having an agent. The Farmers agent was wonderful and takes care of minor claims. Everything went smoothly for my minor claims.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Farmers Insurance is good as long as you do not have a claim. Three years ago I filed a claim for hail damage to my roof but only the back of the house was damaged. Farmers would not pay for any of the damage but stated I needed the back of the roof replaced. I just filed a claim. Shingles came off the front of my roof from heavy winds. Again Farmers stated I needed half of the roof replaced but with my deductible they will pay next to nothing, again stating only half the roof was affected. I was told part of the problem is that I did not replace the half of the roof three years ago. As soon as the claim is finished I will be changing insurance companies. I also have auto insurance with Farmers. When I had a auto claim my car was totaled and they gave me $600.00 less because my car engine was DIRTY!

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers is a large, national insurance provider. The company was founded in 1928 and has grown to provide insurance policies for automobile owners, homeowners and motorcycle owners.

• Long-standing company: Farmers was started in 1928, meaning the company has a long legacy of offering excellent home insurance policies.

• Great customer service: Farmers has developed a reputation for providing excellent, individualized customer service. They are ready to process a claim quickly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Discounts: Farmers’ website offers customers advice about how they can get a discount on their premiums. These strategies include purchasing multiple policies from the company, asking customer service representatives about specific discounts online or via phone, agreeing to raise deductibles in exchange for lower premiums, and taking precautions to make homes safer.

• Service: Rates and service vary, depending on where service and coverage is being provided in the large area that Farmers serves.

• Rates: Farmers is known for increasing their rates from year to year, making their prices expensive compared to most of the market.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home