3.81/5

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

394 Farmers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

On or about July 2, 2016 I called my agent Terry ** here in Saint Paul to inform him that I had some shingles on the ground and that a roofer had told me that I had hail/wind damage. A Farmer’s representative came to my residence and informed me that there was no damage, and therefore I had no claim. After repeated calls to Farmers on or about May 17th 2017 Farmers finally admitted that there was wind damage to the roof. Action was taken and payouts were made on two different occasions as one adjuster was replaced by another. The roof was replaced due to the inability to match the roof shingles, and the job was finished in late 2017, the final payment to me was made on Dec 26 2017.

I continued my Household policy with Farmers until approximately Feb of 2019, when I was informed by Terry **, the local agent for Farmers that my policy would increase from the previous amount of about $2,200 per year to $4,200 or thereabouts. Flabbergasted at this doubling of the policy I asked for an explanation, but got none. This was the price! As I declined, the policy was cancelled, even though I was still attempting to negotiate a more reasonable quote. Within a week of that notice I received a letter from my bank informing me that as I no longer had insurance that my home equity loan which required insurance was invalidated and that US Bank would procure insurance independently if I did not provide them with a new declaration of insurance. This again at a much higher cost, well over $4500.00.

As I was getting nowhere with Farmers for a more economical policy, I started to call other companies to get some comparisons. I have been quoted from $2000.00 to $3,100 depending on my deductible, which I considered acceptable ($1000.00 deductible vs $500.00 deductible). When I told them (Statefarm) to go ahead with a policy the local agent told me that when their underwriters checked my status the policy could not be executed as Farmers reported that I had three claims on my record in the last two years, and NO company could insure me because of that, unless I was willing to pay an exorbitant amount to a special type of company.

I explained to the Statefarm agent that the three claims that Farmers was reporting on was in fact ONE claim, although elongated out to almost two years before it was settled. He, (Jake), told me that until Farmers straightened out their error that Statefarm could not provide insurance. I immediately called Farmers, both the agent (copy of Terry **’s letter attached) and the home office, and in the end after many, many phone calls I was/am left at a dead end with no household insurance as Farmers has declined to adjust the claim into the ONE that it actually was. I write this letter that is where this matter stands, with no household insurance.

In addition, to make matters even worse I submitted an application for a new equity loan so as to decrease my interest rate. The application was accepted and I was quoted a new rate of 4% VS the 5% I am now paying. I went ahead with this application in February of 2019 but I have not been able to finalize it as one of the requisite needs of my bank is that I produce a copy of my insurance Declaration for my home. This I cannot provide as I have no insurance, and am not able to obtain any until Farmers rectify their mistake. This has cost me over $500.00 per month in excess interest costs since the end of February, or over $1500.00, and will continue to do so until the matter is resolved.

I have put this issue in dispute with both Lexis-Nexus and “A Plus” companies, but both companies tell me they can do nothing until Farmers changes their records. I hope that your inquiry will prove fruitful and that Farmers Insurance Co. and their agent can rectify their error that is costing me thousands, let alone if my home was hit by an event or a liability claim.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My home flooded due to a backup in the common line. The HOA's insurance is Farmers. Since it was due to a common line issue, we had to go through HOA insurance. First off, they lowballed the amount - which is expected. They didn't account for higher prices given the local economy. They brought their own contractor, which seems shady. Then, they tried to force my HOA into using their contractor, which only has a 1-star review. It all seems highly illegal (I'm not a lawyer, but they are pushing the envelope with ethics). On top of all of it, the adjuster himself speaks down to me, strong arms my HOA contractor, speaks to me with no respect and is unwilling to negotiate, because he wants his contractor to do the work and he refuses to pay for another contractor. Avoid Farmers. Go with Homesite instead (my personal insurance).

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Winter, 20F, heater not working, no electricity, power outage. Hotel rates in the area soaring to $500-600 per night. Asked for their special rate to accommodate family for 1 night. Farms opened a claim - first for 7 years on the policy, and with no any help did not close it. Next year premium raised 50% - called - "You have open claim, possible property damage". Tried to shot for insurance - ALL saying, "Your residence is listed as total loss, we can not insure it." Upper management even did not responded.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I was recently involved in an accident where I was injured as the passenger and the driver was at fault. This happened out of state for me. Jennifer ** was my agent and arranged the liability coverage for my claim. She was professional and courteous. Her knowledge of what I needed was excellent. The convenience of being able to get things done without having to come into an office after surgery was a plus. I highly recommend this company for your insurance needs. I can't express how pleased I am with Jennifer and all that she has done for me. Thanks for all you do!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently moved and at the same time changed my auto and home policies from State Farm to Farmers, because home policy was cheaper from Farmers. Spent an hour with the agent to do the paperwork. Within two months, was asked to submit other docs on both policies upon pain of cancellation or premium increase, both of which happened. This is after no claims with previous insurers going back to 1977. Went to GEICO online and did everything online in 15 minutes AND saved money besides. Do yourself a favor and use anyone but Farmers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

After 29 years of paying Farmers Insurance we had to make a claim on our home. We had a hail storm in South Dakota which left the siding of our house cosmetically damaged and exposed to the elements. It has taken Farmers 6 months to call out an engineer and deny the claim because the siding is now weathered. The claim was denied because the siding is weathered after the hail beat the finish off. The adjuster said since the siding is weathered and would not pay the claim because weather caused the damage and “That’s just the way the siding wears”. Hmm let’s see "weather” aka “hailstorm". Blasts a finish off a substrate leaving it exposed to “the weather”, but weather didn’t cause this? Last time I checked hail is weather!

The wrapped J trim around all the brick molding was also beat to crap. This is installed before the siding forming a J channel. Farmers will pay for a hack and caulk job which gives about a year before moisture rots the siding. Since Farmers is denying the claim it forces us to get a loan to pay for the hail damage, a weather event. Very funny Farmers! Don’t believe the commercials! They won’t cover it!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have family and friends with this insurance and they all love it. The policy was cheap and easy to obtain. The company is reliable. The customer care is excellent. They are very nice and they answer all of my questions easily and fast. It's easy to afford and I've never had an issue with the company. I don't plan on ever using another insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Farmers is competitively priced with the best coverage for the things that are important to me, which gives me the confidence that if something should go wrong that I am properly cover in that event. And generally they have knowledgeable and friendly customer service reps which are able to take care of most questions. They need better customer service at times though. Customers don't like to be treated as if they are bothering the rep. Some people should not be on the phone if they are having a bad day.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My agent is close by, he's fast, friendly and reliable on claims and quotes. Don't like doing business more than 100 miles away. I like that I have 30 day grace period. They have fair prices. But my deductible is too high sometimes. No hassles, or problems so far. I can call in claim any time of day 365 days a year hardly ever any questions asked. They will always cut me a check with no questions asked. They have competitive rates but they are raising my rates shortly after a claim, or even getting canceled. It difficult to find insurance in a timely manner especially when you need it. I don't like it when they raise my premium. Plus, the secretary is incompetent, or just plain lazy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I chose this because it's been in my family all my life. So far it's been great for me. Their prices are really low and they always have. Everything they've done to get from their prices of the benefits of been great. Now if they went up on their prices I might just like them but they haven't went up on their prices out. So far they've been treating me well too.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Farmers was cheaper than our last plan and my husband is always looking to get a better rate. As far as I know certain things are covered and certain things are not covered. An example would be we need a new roof and unfortunately our home warranty is up and insurance only pays in certain cases. So we will have to figure out how we will pay for that. I wish it was more affordable and the insurance company would cover the cost of our roof to be fixed because it has a few leaks in it. But as far as I know we will have to pay for that fix out of our own pockets which really stinks.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We shopped around a lot and Farmers had the best prices, our agent suggested them over all the other ones because they found the price to be better. However, we found that many times when we call them, they have very bad customer service.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I chose Farmers because they have an office in my hometown. They are a great company to work with. I can go by anytime if I have questions or concerns about my policy. The employees are very knowledgeable about products sold. They help to find your best coverage with the lowest cost possible. However the price of the policies could always be improved.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Farmers Homeowners Insurance is a good insurance company with good reputation. The monthly cost of the insurance is affordable. There is a budget discount package with this insurance policy. They do a good job fixing or remodeling the area in your house that was damaged. Everything will be new in my house fixing the whole house and new carpeting. However, it takes too long to fix everything. Just come in and take ownership of my possessions without asking a lot of different people running in and out of my house.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

They offered better options at a better price and their rates were very comparable. Their customer service was also a lot better than most of the others. They are pretty easy to get a hold of most of the time and they actually listen to what you have to say. However, it would be nice if they had 24 hour customer service. There have been times that something happened over the weekend and were unable to get a hold of anyone.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

They offer a very comprehensive all-inclusive, detailed policy and cover more reasons for loss the most other companies that I have compared. Customer service is easy to reach and always courteous and seem to have my interests in mind when I'm speaking to them. Claims process is fast and easy to utilize. They are always available when I need something or have a question. They had the most reasonable price, and most people that I know who also had them only had mostly positive things to say, heard very few, if any, negative comments.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I had a friend within the company who put me in contact with an agent. I liked what they were able to offer me. Also, their customer service people are fantastic! When I had to file a claim they were extremely knowledgeable and kept me calm. I love all their online capabilities and the commercials are just a hoot and a half! However, the homeowners' insurance policy was a bit confusing to understand. I didn't like the fact that I needed to call in to have certain aspects explained to me.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

They are easy to sign up with, they have low rates but good coverage. Also, the company is a solid one that has decades of experience. Financially they are stable and that is another quality I look for in an insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

They offer the best service and the pricing is great. They also offer a good deal on here and they have a good selection of deals upon looking up other providers when looking for services. All is well and secure. Have dependable and reliable services and nothing can be improved with this service. The services are very convenient and always easy to access when needed. Have had no problems with the service since being a member of this team and have no complaints with any of their services.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We have been very satisfied with the company. Have never had a problem with them. They are dependable and they have a good track record. They also had the best rates for us and offer a discount with our auto insurance also. Our representative has always been very informative and friendly with us as well.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Farmers is a good company and they are easy to work with. I can always call if you have any questions or concerns. They are cheap and covered what we needed. It was also the most recommend in the area!!! We will be doing business with them as long as possible and no issues occur. Happy them all the way around!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I love that they have great discounts and as well as awesome customer service. They will keep in contact. They also respond quickly to call messages and emails. But I would definitely improve how much of a hassle we as customers who pay monthly just to get things fixed. It seems like we have to go and jump through hoops. Nevertheless, I chose this homeownership policy, because it was within my budget. I can't afford a nice expensive policy. And if something breaks on my home I know I have a piece of mind because I do have a policy.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I've been with Farmers for almost 30 years now. I originally chose it was because the man I married was already using this company for his house and cars. I doubt I'll ever leave! I have my home and auto insurance through them, and they have amazing customer service! They really care about their customers, and it shows. The only thing I dislike actually has to do with the auto insurance. They were very unhappy when 16 year old me totaled my car and for 10+ years they made my mom sign something once a year promising I would not be driving any of the vehicles insured by them... Seems a bit excessive if you ask me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I decided to chose this home owners policy over others based on a referral from a friend of mine who had been using this same insurance company. Additionally, the cost when compared to others when I was searching was far more reasonable and covered more. They are easy to deal with when making a claim. They have a call in number that you can call into at any given time that you need to make a claim. But they should have more personal connection with the agent to review policies each year and see what could be bundled in order to get more value from each dollar.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

The coverage of my house and property is outstanding. When I have needed to file a claim, they are very easy to work with and have a claims adjuster contact you very quickly. But I wish they a more comprehensive website and an easier to use app.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Farmers is one of few homeowners insurance companies that cover in my area. Some insurance policies can be very expensive for little coverage but with them I have great coverage for a fair price! The overall cost of the insurance is very reasonable! They also have other policies that you can use on top of the homeowners and bundled into 1 bill and policy!!! Plus, I love the ease of obtaining the policy and all interactions with them! The customer service is over the top great! They are a great company who offers great services.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Farmers is a major player in the insurance field and we have had a long term relationship with them. We like their multiple policy discount and that their insurance agent is local to our address and easy to reach when needed. In addition, we can adjust our auto policy if on vacation by a simple phone call. However, the overall pricing for the policies tends to increase too quickly with inflation and the quickness that they increase rates following a claim is sometimes disturbing.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Farmers was recommended to us by family members. Farmers offered good coverage for our home and possessions and provided it at a reasonable price. The company is conveniently located with local office in our town as well and the agents are always polite and very helpful. The insurance agents there are very professional and competent too.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Farmers had the best price available. Though not outstanding, the insurance has been adequate. It was quick to sign up for and be approved. I like the salesperson, the auto pay for my insurance and the online page. The website security is very good. There are many good review for this company too. But I didn't like having to take pictures of the property. They should take lender's proof. I dislike the email statements not having mail statements to look at to deal with as well. May look for other options.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Farmers was recommended to me and they gave me a really good quote. They are always available when they are needed. The company is very responsible. I like the amount of coverage this company gives you for a good price. The people you talk to with this company are very receptive to your needs. But maybe they could have someone recommend more ways for me to save money would be an added benefit. Other than that, my policy is great just the way it is.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers is a large, national insurance provider. The company was founded in 1928 and has grown to provide insurance policies for automobile owners, homeowners and motorcycle owners.

• Long-standing company: Farmers was started in 1928, meaning the company has a long legacy of offering excellent home insurance policies.

• Great customer service: Farmers has developed a reputation for providing excellent, individualized customer service. They are ready to process a claim quickly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Discounts: Farmers’ website offers customers advice about how they can get a discount on their premiums. These strategies include purchasing multiple policies from the company, asking customer service representatives about specific discounts online or via phone, agreeing to raise deductibles in exchange for lower premiums, and taking precautions to make homes safer.

• Service: Rates and service vary, depending on where service and coverage is being provided in the large area that Farmers serves.

• Rates: Farmers is known for increasing their rates from year to year, making their prices expensive compared to most of the market.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home