Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
Farmers Homeowners Insurance
3.84/5

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

First off... If you had a relative in any business it is only natural to try to help them by sending business their way. My son is the agent of my homeowner policy through Farmers Insurance. He has been an agent for 20 years and lives close by. He also has my auto and an umbrella to cover other details. He is available 24/7 and actually volunteered to drive over a weekend and help an elderly insured couple move from their home in the northern part of our state here in California. Just an example of Chad's commitment to his insured. Also, Farmers is a well known and very responsive insurance company and is competitive with all the big names.

But I am displeased that Farmers has slowly but surely taken away options from its agents that enable them to make more money. The upper management ranks have taken away some of the rights in order to keep more money for themselves. The older agents have been put under pressure to grow their insured at a rate that is highly difficult so they can't make goal assigned by the fat cats at home office.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My home has several large trees and a fireplace, in the event that a tree fell or I had a chimney fire at my home I wanted an insurance company I could rely on to fulfill their obligations to provide necessary repairs or replacement. I believe that Farmers Insurance stands behind their word and are committed to fulfilling their duty to give homeowners peace of mind protection. I have heard good things about them and nothing negative unlike most other big name insurance companies. I have heard horror story after horror story from homeowners that used a different company. The overall price that Farmers charges homeowners for their policies could be slightly lowered though and allow them to stay competitive. Other than that, they are noted as being very reliable and I get what I pay for.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My wife owned the house and she chose Farmers because she knew the local agent and they came out to inspect the house immediately whereas other companies wouldn't have done it for quite a while. She subsequently died and the house passed over to me and I saw no reason to change. Farmers is a reliable company, known for paying off when a problem with the home occurs, fire, tornado, etc. We spoke to friends we knew used the company and everyone was well pleased with it. Also easy to reach with questions. But the company should inform the buyer that options are available such as it being unnecessary to insure the house for the cost of rebuilding it as opposed to insuring it for its actual sale value. I never knew this was possible.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I own a home with a mortgage to pay and homeowners insurance is required but I would buy insurance with the mandate. My previous carrier raised my rates each and every period without explaining the reason. Even after calling my company, all I got was a lot nonsense and was not pleased so I changed. Farmers have plans to fit all my needs, fair rates, excellent customer service, great representative who takes time to answer all questions without rushing through the application process. He took lots of time to find the right policy for me and even offered comparisons between plans. The only thing I can think would improve my experience would be lower rates on insurance plans. I live on my Social Security income which is a joke so money is always tight. Lower rates for seniors would be a blessing.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Farmers has a good service and are very reliable to work with. They offer the best prices and are closest to home. We trust them because we have been with them for a very long time. And we are not planning on changing insurances anytime soon. Very satisfied with this insurance. The other insurances were more expensive and they did not have good ratings. Their location is out of town too and their customer service is even slower. They didn't have the right policies we were looking for.

But Farmers needs to improve their customer service. The waiting times are too long. I would definitely upgrade their automated customer service so people don't have to sit on hold for a very long time. Also they need to hire better people. Sometimes they don't get all the information right and it ends up in resulting more work. They could also lower some of their policies so other people are able to afford it as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Farmers Homeowners Insurance might be cheaper than others, but when I have to call my agent 4 times over 3 weeks to explain a simple change they made in my renewal, every time being promised to fix it until the last time when the deadline was approaching he told me he does not know why the change was made and that I should call Farmers and ask!!!! I thought I was calling Farmers when I called him. Bad -I don’t want to say dishonest- customer service!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Filed a claim in regard to our washer hose bursting in our condo. Although we wiped up the water as quickly as possible, some seeped to the condo below causing minor damage. Our condo, however, was not damaged at all. Our liability agent requested all documentation in regard to owning our condo including rules and regulations, agendas etc. What does that have to do with a washer hose bursting?? But we contacted our Hoa and they forwarded the information. Also information and contact numbers for the condo owner downstairs plus the plumber/company who repaired and replaced the washer hoses.

Well time passed and my neighbor contacted me...laughing! He said Farmers contacted him and told him the claim will not be honored because there was no negligence on my part??!! And the only way they would pay is if I was negligent... Omg. He said that was the stupidest explanation he's ever heard! How would I when the washer hose would burst!! So...needless to say, make sure you find out about liability claims especially...exactly what and how everything is covered. We plan to sell soon and definitely won't be using Farmers

Original review: July 23, 2019

I got a quote for homeowners insurance and agreed, Paid in full for 1 yr. About 2 months later I receive a letter saying I owe more money AND they lowered my insurance rate that I signed up for. This company does not care about you, all they want is more out of your pocket. STAY AWAY, there are better companies out there.

Original review: June 24, 2019

We have had our new home for almost 3 years. Over the winter we had our roof leak due to our very damming and it flooded one of our bedrooms and leaked through the floor. We called our Farmers Insurance rep right away and they send a woman over to check our roof. She did a thorough inspection and told us all the damage should be 100% covered due to the roof leaking. She said it was really bad and was going to do a report. Out of nowhere the report came back and said we had lichen on our roof and nothing will be covered. Which was completely false and the lady never even mentioned that. We had to fight again with them, they sent another woman over and she breezed through the inspection and NEVER EVEN CHECKED THE ROOF! She told us our house was fine even though we have a leak and now mold due to the leak.

They basically sent her here to appease us and she had no intention of even inspecting anything. Yet again the report came back that our roof is fine. WHAT A SCAM! I have no idea why we even have home insurance. They basically lied to us because they don’t want to pay for our roof to be fixed. Now we have to hire a lawyer to go after them for insurance fraud. This had been over months now and never resolved and now we have black mold because they refuse to fix our roof! Please save your money and home and go with another reputable insurance company that will not just take your money every month for no reason! P.S. Roof coverage is (SUPPOSEDLY) included in our insurance plan.

Original review: May 22, 2019

We had experienced a flood in our upstairs bathroom that caused water damage to the living room ceiling below. Within days suddenly the living room ceiling completely collapsed, falling with such force that it broke our 3 inch thick hardwood coffee table in half. My 80 year-old mother-in-law escaped literally within 30 seconds of being crushed.

We called Farmers within hours of the disaster. It was the kind of unexpected catastrophe any homeowner could never imagine happening but would assume any reputable home insurance company would cover. We were in shock when Farmers did not respond to us despite 4 separate attempts to contact them as instructed in the policy over the phone, online, and via text.

When we finally got a representative on the phone four days later, we were in shock when he quickly told us Farmers did not cover homeowners when their ceilings fall in. It was the quintessential moment that every homeowner assumes they will never have to face because they trust that when they routinely pay their $1400 annual home insurance premium each year, they are secure knowing their home insurance company will not leave them stranded in the event of a major catastrophe.

We insisted he come to assess the damage before he gave us this type of pact response. We were again in shock when the representative came to our home, looked up at a 10 by 3 foot hole in our ceiling and a demolished hardwood coffee table, and flatly told us the damage was not covered because, he insisted, it only involved the ceiling moving, and not because of water damage from the upstairs bathroom. I have no idea how a homeowner could foresee or prevent this type of experience. Shame on Farmers for leaving homeowners stranded in the midst of a major home disaster.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers is a large, national insurance provider. The company was founded in 1928 and has grown to provide insurance policies for automobile owners, homeowners and motorcycle owners.

• Long-standing company: Farmers was started in 1928, meaning the company has a long legacy of offering excellent home insurance policies.

• Great customer service: Farmers has developed a reputation for providing excellent, individualized customer service. They are ready to process a claim quickly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Discounts: Farmers’ website offers customers advice about how they can get a discount on their premiums. These strategies include purchasing multiple policies from the company, asking customer service representatives about specific discounts online or via phone, agreeing to raise deductibles in exchange for lower premiums, and taking precautions to make homes safer.

• Service: Rates and service vary, depending on where service and coverage is being provided in the large area that Farmers serves.

• Rates: Farmers is known for increasing their rates from year to year, making their prices expensive compared to most of the market.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home