3.72/5

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

362 Farmers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've done business with Farmers Homeowners Insurance before and their prices were always affordable. I've had a claim before a long time ago but they were right on top of it and I didn't have any problems getting paid at all. My daughter and a few friends also had Farmers at the time so I figured we all couldn't be wrong in choosing our insurance company. They are pretty competitive in what they charge, but I dislike paying as much as I currently do for insurance. But it's not one specific insurance company, all insurance is expensive no matter who you choose.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Easiest to work with Farmers Homeowners Insurance than other companies for the price that you pay for the yearly amount. They go right to the mortgage company so you don't have to. They pay on a claim quickly and without any issues. I contacted them and they let me know what I had to do to get my money to replace my house and belongings after a fire. However, the cost that they charge for the yearly fee should be lower than it is currently and I would like a list of things to qualify after building a new house and/or a visit from the agent to make sure everything is correct.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I looked at many insurance options for my house and Farmers Homeowners Insurance had good ratings which is important but also had the cheaper rates. I liked many features of the insurance company including the live person interaction and low payments. These things are important for any home buyer as costs and customer service are essential to ease of living. However, I would prefer the costs to stop raising on insurance in general as the cost of living is not increasing and neither is my home's value.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Farmers Homeowners Insurance is the cheapest and most valuable of all the companies that offer this service. They are straightforward and agents give you the most competitive rates available. However, these companies should be more competitive and not charge so much money for something that one is forced to purchase.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I went through an agent who recommended Farmers and for my specific needs and my budget we had decided they were probably my best option. I have never tried anyone else or really seen a need to because they have been so great to me so far. I trust them. I have been loyal to them for years and have had no issues with them. They have been affordable and great at answering any questions I may have, but they could be a little more transparent. I am not even for sure what is covered and what is not.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

The last time I owned a home with my ex-wife, we went with Farmers and have always had strong recommendations from family and others as to their reliability and claims. I like the long-time stability of the company. I only wish the homeowner policy included much more detail of coverage without having to go back and ask about what needed to be covered by additional riders if any. They have good agent service and reasonable rates. The agent was very informative and gave me a special bundled deal which covered my automobiles as well as my home and property.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

First off... If you had a relative in any business it is only natural to try to help them by sending business their way. My son is the agent of my homeowner policy through Farmers Insurance. He has been an agent for 20 years and lives close by. He also has my auto and an umbrella to cover other details. He is available 24/7 and actually volunteered to drive over a weekend and help an elderly insured couple move from their home in the northern part of our state here in California. Just an example of Chad's commitment to his insured. Also, Farmers is a well known and very responsive insurance company and is competitive with all the big names.

But I am displeased that Farmers has slowly but surely taken away options from its agents that enable them to make more money. The upper management ranks have taken away some of the rights in order to keep more money for themselves. The older agents have been put under pressure to grow their insured at a rate that is highly difficult so they can't make goal assigned by the fat cats at home office.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Farmers Homeowners Insurance had the lowest rate at the time and I mostly choose the lowest rate because we end up not needing their help. It was a company I was familiar with and had the best rate per year for the coverage we get. Insurance companies are a ripoff really. I don't like any company better than the other. They are all out for themselves only. If you don't have a claim for 1 year, you should get a monetary return. Paying year after year with no claims is a lose lose for me and a win win for the insurance company. They are in it to make as much money as they can and help you as little as they can.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My home has several large trees and a fireplace, in the event that a tree fell or I had a chimney fire at my home I wanted an insurance company I could rely on to fulfill their obligations to provide necessary repairs or replacement. I believe that Farmers Insurance stands behind their word and are committed to fulfilling their duty to give homeowners peace of mind protection. I have heard good things about them and nothing negative unlike most other big name insurance companies. I have heard horror story after horror story from homeowners that used a different company. The overall price that Farmers charges homeowners for their policies could be slightly lowered though and allow them to stay competitive. Other than that, they are noted as being very reliable and I get what I pay for.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have been with Farmers for a long time now and had no problems as of yet. They are okay. They were recommended by my parents - my parents also use them. Farmers make it easier to contact and get help if needed. Easier website access too. I will continue to use most likely.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I chose Farmers due to having a local agent that I can have face to face contact. This insurance company gives you many options to bundle different policies. I like the convenience of billing monthly by automatically deducting from my checking account. I also like that I can include everything that needs insured in my homeowner's policy. However, I feel that the deductible is too high but the lower your deductible the higher your premiums. Also, there's an increase in billing every year even though we do not file any claims. Still, I have been a loyal client for years and will continue to as they have been a great company. I would recommend this company to all my friends and family due to the ease of getting and updating our policies.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

The Farmers coverage is just what I need for my situation. The insurance agent was helpful without being pushy. Explains everything in detail while trying not to overwhelm the customer. Also reasonable pricing with friendly agents that are knowledgeable in their product. They will not sell you insurance that you do not want or need. But Farmers should make the policy readable by the general public. It's hard to know what is required and what will be covered if you ever need to file a claim. Beware too, if you file a claim your policy will go up by quite a bit. Otherwise would use them again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My wife owned the house and she chose Farmers because she knew the local agent and they came out to inspect the house immediately whereas other companies wouldn't have done it for quite a while. She subsequently died and the house passed over to me and I saw no reason to change. Farmers is a reliable company, known for paying off when a problem with the home occurs, fire, tornado, etc. We spoke to friends we knew used the company and everyone was well pleased with it. Also easy to reach with questions. But the company should inform the buyer that options are available such as it being unnecessary to insure the house for the cost of rebuilding it as opposed to insuring it for its actual sale value. I never knew this was possible.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

It's a company my family has used for years so I decided if they liked it that much for so long I wanted to give it a try too. I can bundle several different insurances, too. I like the client that personally is assigned to me and the flexibility when you need them and they work with you. Decent pricing and quality customer service .

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Farmers was the same company I had for the house before that and the house before that. It made it easier to just call and give the new address. The deductible we have was reasonable and affordable. I had been using them for years. It was easy to keep using them. I don't have to go through the process of getting new quotes or agents. We know our local agent and he knows the area and what we need. The local person we use is helpful and has very good information and so far they have been really helpful with questions. However, I think that maybe the local agent should have answers to questions. Sometimes his hands are tied and can't do much.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Really liked the agent and what the company had to had to offer at the time. The company was a solid company and we felt reassured by that. They had a good payment plan option and really good coverage. The agent came all the way out to our home. He was very approachable and knowledgeable about his company products. He explained what his company had to offer. We loved the agent and signed up. He wasnt pushy at all which was nice. Farmers kept raising prices a lot though and when we would talk to the agent about it he was unable to give us an answer. After that I started getting quotes from other companies that cost almost half of what we were paying. After being with this company for over eight years was really disappointed that their rates had gone up so high.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I like the coverage, customer service, price, agent availability and the company has an exceptional reputation and wonderful communication skills. But they could improve the billing process and the way that their online business services are conducted.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I just like the security of being covered when and if something unexpected happens to my home. The insurance is something I need but I don't like the rates. I also don't like that the law in my area requires it and that you can be punished for using it if they think too many things happened too close together. I don't like that they find exclusions, too. But we really didn't have the option to pick from different companies because no one wants to cover a mobile home.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I own a home with a mortgage to pay and homeowners insurance is required but I would buy insurance with the mandate. My previous carrier raised my rates each and every period without explaining the reason. Even after calling my company, all I got was a lot nonsense and was not pleased so I changed. Farmers have plans to fit all my needs, fair rates, excellent customer service, great representative who takes time to answer all questions without rushing through the application process. He took lots of time to find the right policy for me and even offered comparisons between plans. The only thing I can think would improve my experience would be lower rates on insurance plans. I live on my Social Security income which is a joke so money is always tight. Lower rates for seniors would be a blessing.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Farmers was so much cheaper than any other insurance company. I shopped 5 total insurance companies and they were the best priced and they have lower premiums than anyone else I checked with. When I had a claim they were extremely fast in getting it resolved. I want even cheaper rates though. If you do not make a claim for several years, then you should be able to get lower rates each year. Let those that have issues pay for those issues.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Farmers has a good service and are very reliable to work with. They offer the best prices and are closest to home. We trust them because we have been with them for a very long time. And we are not planning on changing insurances anytime soon. Very satisfied with this insurance. The other insurances were more expensive and they did not have good ratings. Their location is out of town too and their customer service is even slower. They didn't have the right policies we were looking for.

But Farmers needs to improve their customer service. The waiting times are too long. I would definitely upgrade their automated customer service so people don't have to sit on hold for a very long time. Also they need to hire better people. Sometimes they don't get all the information right and it ends up in resulting more work. They could also lower some of their policies so other people are able to afford it as well.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

We have used it for over 30 years. It was accessible and affordable. It was good insurance for a young couple starting out. They have always been convenient and dependable and we have been able to work with the agents. We have used them for fixing a flood in the basement and some clean-up with a bathroom flood. The needs we had grew with the growth of our family and the insurance has grown with our needs. However, all insurances punish people for using them. Usually this happens when the policy price is increased for using it. It. Would be nice if we could find health insurance and do a full insurance package.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I love how well Farmers is put together and established. It is magnificent for everything that goes along with and it is an amazing program and there is only good to come from it. Farmers is the best one and makes the most sense for me and my family to have chosen with the right one. Everyone should be with it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Farmers was recommended by a friend of mine who has been covered by this particular agency. I contacted them and I was very happy with the personal experience of the agency. Farmers is a well known company that has a local agent office that I can trust and talk to in person or by phone for help as needed. The agent and I went over coverage offerings and discussed the potential coverage. When I have a question about anything the staff will respond quickly to my concerns.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Farmers was great. They have a great reputation and I really like that they provide a great service for a great value. I feel safe knowing I am in trusted hands when it comes to protecting my valuables and my home.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

The insurance premium is affordable and it meets my needs for homeowners insurance. Also I have researched other homeowners insurance and Farmers seems trustworthy and very reliable. This insurance company has been around for many years and it has great ratings. Farmers is a great fit.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Farmers was recommended when I purchased the home and we did not take the time to shop around. We kept them for several years. Our local rep was friendly and usually accessible by phone and claims service was good when we had a fire. Insurance premium rates were pretty competitive but were not the lowest I could find. We ended up switching to another company when we found one with cheaper rates, bundling it with our auto insurance.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I had a friend that had insurance with them so I wanted to try them out. I chose this company when it was time to renew my policy because two other companies had turned me down and I had to get homeowners insurance on my property as soon as possible. And this is the company that would insure me at the time. I had them for less than two years and they need to lower their prices.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Farmers covers homes, mobile homes, luxury homes, condos and even vacant homes. It offers more options and meets my needs for homeowner and auto insurance. Farmers also helped me get a start-up when I first bought a home and was in need of homeowner's insurance, which I used the Standard SmartHome Package Plan. I would recommend this company to friends and family. But Farmers insurance company should offer rewards and more deductible opportunities. Farmers can improve on a lot of things if they set their mind to it because ya know you only live once and you need homeowner's insurance at some point in your life and it should be affordable for everyone.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I looked at several other policies and Farmers seemed to have the best prices for the same insurance as the rest. Also, I like the people that work in the office. They are nice to deal with. Farmers is conveniently located near me which makes paying easier. My partner prefers to write checks for the payments and a lot of insurances want to take it directly out of your account instead.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers is a large, national insurance provider. The company was founded in 1928 and has grown to provide insurance policies for automobile owners, homeowners and motorcycle owners.

• Long-standing company: Farmers was started in 1928, meaning the company has a long legacy of offering excellent home insurance policies.

• Great customer service: Farmers has developed a reputation for providing excellent, individualized customer service. They are ready to process a claim quickly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Discounts: Farmers’ website offers customers advice about how they can get a discount on their premiums. These strategies include purchasing multiple policies from the company, asking customer service representatives about specific discounts online or via phone, agreeing to raise deductibles in exchange for lower premiums, and taking precautions to make homes safer.

• Service: Rates and service vary, depending on where service and coverage is being provided in the large area that Farmers serves.

• Rates: Farmers is known for increasing their rates from year to year, making their prices expensive compared to most of the market.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home