Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Home Insurance

4.0/5 (405 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Farmers Home Insurance

Farmers works with a large network of agents to offer a variety of home insurance plans, as well as multiple discounts and special coverage options, including policy bundling. Its coverage is highly customizable and available all throughout the U.S. The company also has an app to help with policy management.

Pros

• Large agent network
  • Available nationwide
  • App with policy info

Cons

• A bit pricey
  • App doesn’t allow claims filing

Bottom Line

Farmers offers clear-cut customizable home insurance plans that let you pay only for the coverage you need. Its policies are available nationwide through an extensive agent network.

Top Farmers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was recently involved in an accident… Jennifer ** was my agent and arranged the liability coverage for my claim. She was professional and courteous. Her knowledge of what I need...

Verified

… They really are there for everything!! I call them and they always answer the phone pretty fast and know who I am right away. And they always call to check in with me randomly!....

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Farmers home insurance

Farmers is a leading home and property insurance provider. It offers several straightforward coverage options for your home, whether you have a rental, a condo, a mobile home or a house you own. It also provides policies for specialty and vacant homes.

Farmers has an easy-to-use website with an efficient quote tool and a search feature that shows all agents in your area and their ratings. If you have questions about Farmers, you can visit its website and enter your ZIP code to get a list of local agents.

Farmers homeowners insurance coverage

Farmers provides three types of home coverage options (except in California, where the Premier package isn't available). Here’s a look at its coverage offerings:

• Standard: Provides basic coverage designed for beginning homeowners. It's typically the most affordable package and includes fundamental coverage you can customize to fit your home and lifestyle.
  • Enhanced: Offers thorough coverage and extended limits; pays for the cost of a roof or home contents without depreciation.
  • Premier: The highest level of coverage for personal property; includes extended replacement cost for your home.

Farmers also includes these additional coverage features:

• Declining deductibles: Every year you renew your policy, you'll qualify for a reduced deductible.
  • Claims free discount: If you've made no claims for several years, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Claim forgiveness: If you haven’t made a claim in five years, your deductible won't rise with your first claim.
  • Cosmetic damage: If you have functional damage in your home and file a claim, Farmers can help cover the cosmetic issues.

Farmers home insurance quotes

Home insurance quotes vary by location, the cost of a home’s rebuild, personal property and various other factors. Contact your local Farmers agent or use the online quote tool to estimate your coverage rates. To give you an idea of typical annual Farmers insurance costs, for a one-story home in Oklahoma with an estimated reconstruction cost of $128,000, Farmer quotes $1,407 for the Standard package, $1,619 for Enhanced and $1,840 for Premier.

Farmers home insurance FAQ

What does Farmers home insurance cover?
Farmers offers basic coverage like fire and flood insurance, as well as more comprehensive coverage, such as theft of jewelry and roof replacement.
Where is Farmers home insurance available?
Farmers Insurance is available in all 50 states.
How do I file a claim with Farmers home insurance?
To file a claim with Farmers, you can use its website or call your local agent.
Does Farmers offer discounts?
Yes, Farmers offers multiple discounts, some of which will show automatically with its free online quoting tool.

Is Farmers a good home insurance company?

Farmers is a good home insurance company with a user-friendly website, straightforward insurance packages and a vast network of agents. It's probably ideal if you’re looking for an affordable and comprehensive home coverage option. While its rates aren’t the most affordable, Farmers is a well-established company with highly customizable coverage.

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

LaTroya ** helped me save ~$1,500 on my homeowner's policy AND helped me get even more coverage than I had before! She provided EXCELLENT customer service throughout the entire process. She really TOOK THE TIME to make sure I understood what I was getting and TAILORED my policy to what I needed and wanted. After finalizing the policy, I was told I needed a 4 point inspection (I already paid for and provided a wind mitigation report). Despite this miscommunication, LaTroya went OUT OF HER WAY to figure it out and RESOLVE the issue. I hope to never have to file a claim, but I hope she is still there if I ever do! She is the BEST! I hope Farmers and her direct supervisor know what a GEM she is and how AMAZING she is at her job!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

After searching numerous insurance companies, Farmers had the best price and coverage. It helps that I have all of my cars and homes with Farmers, so they give me a percentage off, but I still haven't found anyone who can beat their prices. When I call my agent, she is always available and answers any questions I have. Customer service has declined in our society, so having great customer service is important to me.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

While this is a reliable company, I have had multiple agents over a 20-plus years as a client/customer. I am not sure if the premiums are determined via computer model or individual on-site assessment..

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I’ve relied on Farmers Insurance for many years. Their pricing is competitive in TX and although not the lowest the service and expertise of the agent can make a big difference. I haven’t had any major claims but have not heard anything negative there.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

My Farmers insurance agent is always available to help me, even with the Covid lockdown. By phone or email, I can always reach his office. He even helped me when my mortgage company tried to impose their insurance on me. They apparently thought my policy had lapsed, but they were wrong. I couldn't get help from the mortgage company, but my Farmers agent actually called them on the phone to confirm that they received his paperwork in the mail, and he got their assurance that they would not be adding charges to my mortgage payments for their imposed insurance.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I have stuck with Farmers Insurance because I get multi-policy discounts. I tried to switch to AAA, but they will not insure homeowners in a fire prone area. I have wanted to put claims in several times with Farmers, but they said if I do my rates will go up. That is ridiculous. What good is it to insure especially when their rates are constantly going up anyway.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER. Save yourself the hassle and go to a more reputable company. This company is quick to take your money but when you file a claim, they will NOT - under ANY circumstance - pay up. We filed two claims with them, which costed us over $25k from our pocket, and they wouldn't pay anything. In fact, when Farmers did their "investigation", they called the flood company and asked ONE question and HUNG UP ON THEM! They were unprofessional and denied us on bad faith. They DO NOT PAY any claims - at all. My neighbors had the same problems with them and they were also told that they do not pay for their claims. I can't believe the trouble we had to go through with them for months.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I wanted to share my negative experiences dealing with Luis **, his agency, and Farmers Insurance and would not recommend doing business with him or Farmers.

1. The agency has had extensive agent turnover. Since I first contacted the agency a few years ago, they've had 3-4 different agents.
    2. When I initially bought my homeowners policy, none of the agents ever bothered to discuss or review my policy even though I asked for assistance. The best any of the agents did was email or have short phone conversations. It was really up to me to ask all of the questions and guide myself through the process. They offered zero advice or help.

3. None of the agents ever bothered to discuss or highlight major policy limitations and issues that should have been brought to my attention. ALSO, THE APPLICATION SAID NOTHING ABOUT VITAL LIMITATIONS.

Fast forward to my dealings with Mr. **: As my homeowners policy neared expiration last year, I emailed the agent asking for help renewing, but rec'd no response. After several days, ** finally responded telling me he was the new agent and that the other had retired. At no time did ** ever bother to contact me to say he was the new agent, nor that the policy was about to expire, nor did he ever offer to review or discuss the policy renewal, and instead just passed me off to his assistant to handle the details. And this was only after I waited over a week for him to finally get working on the renewal. During that time I actually had to waste time looking for another agent to take over the policy due to his delayed response. He showed zero interest in helping me with the policy or understanding my needs, even though the house is over 50 years old.

I then contacted his agency for a new auto policy. Without going into details, his assistant bungled the process, failed to communicate and update me, etc. It was all up to me contact them for updates etc and it took weeks to finally bind coverage. Then I recently had a plumbing issue which resulted in a recommendation to replace my sewer line which will be very expensive, $15,000+. I later found out that Farmers has a $2000 limit on this coverage, And also found out that most other carriers actually fully cover this sort of loss. Don't get a farmers homeowners policy, they don't cover many of the standard losses that most other carriers cover and their agents don't disclose any of it to policy holders!!

When I called ** to discuss, he emphatically told me "the prior agent should have offered to review your needs and the policy with you at the beginning and disclosed this limit. That is Farmers policy and that's what I always do. I'll look into this and get back with you." Then ** calls me back the next day, and totally flips the script and tells me "We have no record of you requesting help. It's up to the policy holder to request help, not the agent." In other words, rather than try to help and accept responsibility, or backup what he had told me the day prior, he chose to blame me instead. This conduct should tell you everything you need to know about how Luis ** does business, and his lack of respect and care for his policy holders. Based on my experiences, which are all true, I would not recommend doing business with farmers or Luis **. If ** tries to dispute any of these facts, I will respond again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Farmers Homeowners Insurance might be cheaper than others, but when I have to call my agent 4 times over 3 weeks to explain a simple change they made in my renewal, every time being promised to fix it until the last time when the deadline was approaching he told me he does not know why the change was made and that I should call Farmers and ask!!!! I thought I was calling Farmers when I called him. Bad -I don’t want to say dishonest- customer service!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Filed a claim in regard to our washer hose bursting in our condo. Although we wiped up the water as quickly as possible, some seeped to the condo below causing minor damage. Our condo, however, was not damaged at all. Our liability agent requested all documentation in regard to owning our condo including rules and regulations, agendas etc. What does that have to do with a washer hose bursting?? But we contacted our Hoa and they forwarded the information. Also information and contact numbers for the condo owner downstairs plus the plumber/company who repaired and replaced the washer hoses.

Well time passed and my neighbor contacted me...laughing! He said Farmers contacted him and told him the claim will not be honored because there was no negligence on my part??!! And the only way they would pay is if I was negligent... Omg. He said that was the stupidest explanation he's ever heard! How would I when the washer hose would burst!! So...needless to say, make sure you find out about liability claims especially...exactly what and how everything is covered. We plan to sell soon and definitely won't be using Farmers

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Company Information