Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.03/5

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them.

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

After searching numerous insurance companies, Farmers had the best price and coverage. It helps that I have all of my cars and homes with Farmers, so they give me a percentage off, but I still haven't found anyone who can beat their prices. When I call my agent, she is always available and answers any questions I have. Customer service has declined in our society, so having great customer service is important to me.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

While this is a reliable company, I have had multiple agents over a 20-plus years as a client/customer. I am not sure if the premiums are determined via computer model or individual on-site assessment..

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I’ve relied on Farmers Insurance for many years. Their pricing is competitive in TX and although not the lowest the service and expertise of the agent can make a big difference. I haven’t had any major claims but have not heard anything negative there.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I have stuck with Farmers Insurance because I get multi-policy discounts. I tried to switch to AAA, but they will not insure homeowners in a fire prone area. I have wanted to put claims in several times with Farmers, but they said if I do my rates will go up. That is ridiculous. What good is it to insure especially when their rates are constantly going up anyway.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER. Save yourself the hassle and go to a more reputable company. This company is quick to take your money but when you file a claim, they will NOT - under ANY circumstance - pay up. We filed two claims with them, which costed us over $25k from our pocket, and they wouldn't pay anything. In fact, when Farmers did their "investigation", they called the flood company and asked ONE question and HUNG UP ON THEM! They were unprofessional and denied us on bad faith. They DO NOT PAY any claims - at all. My neighbors had the same problems with them and they were also told that they do not pay for their claims. I can't believe the trouble we had to go through with them for months.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I wanted to share my negative experiences dealing with Luis **, his agency, and Farmers Insurance and would not recommend doing business with him or Farmers.

1. The agency has had extensive agent turnover. Since I first contacted the agency a few years ago, they've had 3-4 different agents.
    2. When I initially bought my homeowners policy, none of the agents ever bothered to discuss or review my policy even though I asked for assistance. The best any of the agents did was email or have short phone conversations. It was really up to me to ask all of the questions and guide myself through the process. They offered zero advice or help.

3. None of the agents ever bothered to discuss or highlight major policy limitations and issues that should have been brought to my attention. ALSO, THE APPLICATION SAID NOTHING ABOUT VITAL LIMITATIONS.

Fast forward to my dealings with Mr. **: As my homeowners policy neared expiration last year, I emailed the agent asking for help renewing, but rec'd no response. After several days, ** finally responded telling me he was the new agent and that the other had retired. At no time did ** ever bother to contact me to say he was the new agent, nor that the policy was about to expire, nor did he ever offer to review or discuss the policy renewal, and instead just passed me off to his assistant to handle the details. And this was only after I waited over a week for him to finally get working on the renewal. During that time I actually had to waste time looking for another agent to take over the policy due to his delayed response. He showed zero interest in helping me with the policy or understanding my needs, even though the house is over 50 years old.

I then contacted his agency for a new auto policy. Without going into details, his assistant bungled the process, failed to communicate and update me, etc. It was all up to me contact them for updates etc and it took weeks to finally bind coverage. Then I recently had a plumbing issue which resulted in a recommendation to replace my sewer line which will be very expensive, $15,000+. I later found out that Farmers has a $2000 limit on this coverage, And also found out that most other carriers actually fully cover this sort of loss. Don't get a farmers homeowners policy, they don't cover many of the standard losses that most other carriers cover and their agents don't disclose any of it to policy holders!!

When I called ** to discuss, he emphatically told me "the prior agent should have offered to review your needs and the policy with you at the beginning and disclosed this limit. That is Farmers policy and that's what I always do. I'll look into this and get back with you." Then ** calls me back the next day, and totally flips the script and tells me "We have no record of you requesting help. It's up to the policy holder to request help, not the agent." In other words, rather than try to help and accept responsibility, or backup what he had told me the day prior, he chose to blame me instead. This conduct should tell you everything you need to know about how Luis ** does business, and his lack of respect and care for his policy holders. Based on my experiences, which are all true, I would not recommend doing business with farmers or Luis **. If ** tries to dispute any of these facts, I will respond again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Farmers Homeowners Insurance might be cheaper than others, but when I have to call my agent 4 times over 3 weeks to explain a simple change they made in my renewal, every time being promised to fix it until the last time when the deadline was approaching he told me he does not know why the change was made and that I should call Farmers and ask!!!! I thought I was calling Farmers when I called him. Bad -I don’t want to say dishonest- customer service!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Filed a claim in regard to our washer hose bursting in our condo. Although we wiped up the water as quickly as possible, some seeped to the condo below causing minor damage. Our condo, however, was not damaged at all. Our liability agent requested all documentation in regard to owning our condo including rules and regulations, agendas etc. What does that have to do with a washer hose bursting?? But we contacted our Hoa and they forwarded the information. Also information and contact numbers for the condo owner downstairs plus the plumber/company who repaired and replaced the washer hoses.

Well time passed and my neighbor contacted me...laughing! He said Farmers contacted him and told him the claim will not be honored because there was no negligence on my part??!! And the only way they would pay is if I was negligent... Omg. He said that was the stupidest explanation he's ever heard! How would I when the washer hose would burst!! So...needless to say, make sure you find out about liability claims especially...exactly what and how everything is covered. We plan to sell soon and definitely won't be using Farmers

Original review: July 23, 2019

I got a quote for homeowners insurance and agreed, Paid in full for 1 yr. About 2 months later I receive a letter saying I owe more money AND they lowered my insurance rate that I signed up for. This company does not care about you, all they want is more out of your pocket. STAY AWAY, there are better companies out there.

Original review: June 24, 2019

We have had our new home for almost 3 years. Over the winter we had our roof leak due to our very damming and it flooded one of our bedrooms and leaked through the floor. We called our Farmers Insurance rep right away and they send a woman over to check our roof. She did a thorough inspection and told us all the damage should be 100% covered due to the roof leaking. She said it was really bad and was going to do a report. Out of nowhere the report came back and said we had lichen on our roof and nothing will be covered. Which was completely false and the lady never even mentioned that. We had to fight again with them, they sent another woman over and she breezed through the inspection and NEVER EVEN CHECKED THE ROOF! She told us our house was fine even though we have a leak and now mold due to the leak.

They basically sent her here to appease us and she had no intention of even inspecting anything. Yet again the report came back that our roof is fine. WHAT A SCAM! I have no idea why we even have home insurance. They basically lied to us because they don’t want to pay for our roof to be fixed. Now we have to hire a lawyer to go after them for insurance fraud. This had been over months now and never resolved and now we have black mold because they refuse to fix our roof! Please save your money and home and go with another reputable insurance company that will not just take your money every month for no reason! P.S. Roof coverage is (SUPPOSEDLY) included in our insurance plan.

Farmers author review by Matthew Brodsky

With more than 10 million homes under its coverage, this company is the fifth-largest provider of home insurance in the United States. It has an A rating for financial strength from AM Best. The company’s claim forgiveness feature means that customers who haven’t filed a claim for five years won’t see higher premiums after their next claim.

• Cost: The average annual cost to insure a home with Farmers is between $1,500 and $1,700. However, homes worth significantly more can have policies that cost over $2,000 a year.

• Plans and coverage: Farmers Insurance offers three customizable plan options, ranging from basic to comprehensive. Endorsements, like replacement cost coverage for personal property, are available, but some popular options from other providers, like service line coverage, are not.

• Discounts: Farmers offer discounts for new homes, protective devices, smoke-free homes, impact-resistant roofing, bundling and no claims for three years.

• Availability: Farmers provides coverage and has local agents in all 50 states.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor