Protect what matters most

Protect my home
Farmers Homeowners Insurance
3.89/5

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Protect what matters most

Compare Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Protect my home

396 Farmers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

First off... If you had a relative in any business it is only natural to try to help them by sending business their way. My son is the agent of my homeowner policy through Farmers Insurance. He has been an agent for 20 years and lives close by. He also has my auto and an umbrella to cover other details. He is available 24/7 and actually volunteered to drive over a weekend and help an elderly insured couple move from their home in the northern part of our state here in California. Just an example of Chad's commitment to his insured. Also, Farmers is a well known and very responsive insurance company and is competitive with all the big names.

But I am displeased that Farmers has slowly but surely taken away options from its agents that enable them to make more money. The upper management ranks have taken away some of the rights in order to keep more money for themselves. The older agents have been put under pressure to grow their insured at a rate that is highly difficult so they can't make goal assigned by the fat cats at home office.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I own a home with a mortgage to pay and homeowners insurance is required but I would buy insurance with the mandate. My previous carrier raised my rates each and every period without explaining the reason. Even after calling my company, all I got was a lot nonsense and was not pleased so I changed. Farmers have plans to fit all my needs, fair rates, excellent customer service, great representative who takes time to answer all questions without rushing through the application process. He took lots of time to find the right policy for me and even offered comparisons between plans. The only thing I can think would improve my experience would be lower rates on insurance plans. I live on my Social Security income which is a joke so money is always tight. Lower rates for seniors would be a blessing.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Farmers has a good service and are very reliable to work with. They offer the best prices and are closest to home. We trust them because we have been with them for a very long time. And we are not planning on changing insurances anytime soon. Very satisfied with this insurance. The other insurances were more expensive and they did not have good ratings. Their location is out of town too and their customer service is even slower. They didn't have the right policies we were looking for.

But Farmers needs to improve their customer service. The waiting times are too long. I would definitely upgrade their automated customer service so people don't have to sit on hold for a very long time. Also they need to hire better people. Sometimes they don't get all the information right and it ends up in resulting more work. They could also lower some of their policies so other people are able to afford it as well.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Traveling in my vehicle can be scary if something happens and I have a claim. But with Farmers, I can always contact an agent with any questions I have regarding my policy especially if I'm traveling and I need an agent at my location. I can find an agency or use the mobile app at my convenience. I have a home out of state that can be a real headache for me if I need to travel to see the damage. My agent sets all that up for me. However, the price is a little higher than other insurance companies even without a claim and I can find cheaper. But I'm worried about when I in out of state. Will a cheaper insurance do the same job as Farmers helping if I need a rental car out of state or a claim? That's the best about Farmers. It's recognized everywhere And the 800 numbers are always working even when I can't contact my agent.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I was doing research on other companies because the home insurance I had kept raising the price and taking away coverage. Farmers was a smarter deal. The other company didn’t seem to care anymore and we had been with them for 32 years. The agent said, “I don't care if you leave. I don't make any money off you anymore anyway.” Taken care of with Farmers. I like that I can call the 800 phone number any time for assistance. The agent and staff are nice and easy to work with. I like that we can pay our premium monthly payments. I like to pay with automated checking withdrawals. But I dislike all the mail that they send. I never know what I should save or can throw away. I would prefer emails. Only send mail with the insurance card. The insurance card should be laminated or a thicker paper used.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: May 22, 2019

We had experienced a flood in our upstairs bathroom that caused water damage to the living room ceiling below. Within days suddenly the living room ceiling completely collapsed, falling with such force that it broke our 3 inch thick hardwood coffee table in half. My 80 year-old mother-in-law escaped literally within 30 seconds of being crushed.

We called Farmers within hours of the disaster. It was the kind of unexpected catastrophe any homeowner could never imagine happening but would assume any reputable home insurance company would cover. We were in shock when Farmers did not respond to us despite 4 separate attempts to contact them as instructed in the policy over the phone, online, and via text.

When we finally got a representative on the phone four days later, we were in shock when he quickly told us Farmers did not cover homeowners when their ceilings fall in. It was the quintessential moment that every homeowner assumes they will never have to face because they trust that when they routinely pay their $1400 annual home insurance premium each year, they are secure knowing their home insurance company will not leave them stranded in the event of a major catastrophe.

We insisted he come to assess the damage before he gave us this type of pact response. We were again in shock when the representative came to our home, looked up at a 10 by 3 foot hole in our ceiling and a demolished hardwood coffee table, and flatly told us the damage was not covered because, he insisted, it only involved the ceiling moving, and not because of water damage from the upstairs bathroom. I have no idea how a homeowner could foresee or prevent this type of experience. Shame on Farmers for leaving homeowners stranded in the midst of a major home disaster.

Original review: May 7, 2019

We had a house fire on Christmas Day 2018. It is now 07 May 2019 and they just now decided to extend the lease on the temporary housing until 31 Jul 2019. This is after I repeated told them construction has not started because they lowballed the repairs. The claims adjuster was in and out of my house in less than 2 hours. I was there the whole time talking to the fire investigator. This claims adjuster missed the floor joists to the second fire shrinking from 1.5 inches to 1 inch due to being burned. The claims adjuster stated in the scope of loss the floor joists can be cleaned and sealed.

I went and hired an architect and the architect said they are unstable and need to be replaced. On top of all this, because Farmers is dragging their feet, we ended up with extensive water damage and mold due to a water leak. We had the water turned off on 27 Dec 2018. All the documents Farmers had on their portal I have downloaded and printed out. Upon extensive review, they have many contradictions in their own documents. At this point, I am contacting attorneys to get the proper settlement for fix our home correctly.

Original review: April 19, 2019

On or about July 2, 2016 I called my agent Terry ** here in Saint Paul to inform him that I had some shingles on the ground and that a roofer had told me that I had hail/wind damage. A Farmer’s representative came to my residence and informed me that there was no damage, and therefore I had no claim. After repeated calls to Farmers on or about May 17th 2017 Farmers finally admitted that there was wind damage to the roof. Action was taken and payouts were made on two different occasions as one adjuster was replaced by another. The roof was replaced due to the inability to match the roof shingles, and the job was finished in late 2017, the final payment to me was made on Dec 26 2017.

I continued my Household policy with Farmers until approximately Feb of 2019, when I was informed by Terry **, the local agent for Farmers that my policy would increase from the previous amount of about $2,200 per year to $4,200 or thereabouts. Flabbergasted at this doubling of the policy I asked for an explanation, but got none. This was the price! As I declined, the policy was cancelled, even though I was still attempting to negotiate a more reasonable quote. Within a week of that notice I received a letter from my bank informing me that as I no longer had insurance that my home equity loan which required insurance was invalidated and that US Bank would procure insurance independently if I did not provide them with a new declaration of insurance. This again at a much higher cost, well over $4500.00.

As I was getting nowhere with Farmers for a more economical policy, I started to call other companies to get some comparisons. I have been quoted from $2000.00 to $3,100 depending on my deductible, which I considered acceptable ($1000.00 deductible vs $500.00 deductible). When I told them (Statefarm) to go ahead with a policy the local agent told me that when their underwriters checked my status the policy could not be executed as Farmers reported that I had three claims on my record in the last two years, and NO company could insure me because of that, unless I was willing to pay an exorbitant amount to a special type of company.

I explained to the Statefarm agent that the three claims that Farmers was reporting on was in fact ONE claim, although elongated out to almost two years before it was settled. He, (Jake), told me that until Farmers straightened out their error that Statefarm could not provide insurance. I immediately called Farmers, both the agent (copy of Terry **’s letter attached) and the home office, and in the end after many, many phone calls I was/am left at a dead end with no household insurance as Farmers has declined to adjust the claim into the ONE that it actually was. I write this letter that is where this matter stands, with no household insurance.

In addition, to make matters even worse I submitted an application for a new equity loan so as to decrease my interest rate. The application was accepted and I was quoted a new rate of 4% VS the 5% I am now paying. I went ahead with this application in February of 2019 but I have not been able to finalize it as one of the requisite needs of my bank is that I produce a copy of my insurance Declaration for my home. This I cannot provide as I have no insurance, and am not able to obtain any until Farmers rectify their mistake. This has cost me over $500.00 per month in excess interest costs since the end of February, or over $1500.00, and will continue to do so until the matter is resolved.

I have put this issue in dispute with both Lexis-Nexus and “A Plus” companies, but both companies tell me they can do nothing until Farmers changes their records. I hope that your inquiry will prove fruitful and that Farmers Insurance Co. and their agent can rectify their error that is costing me thousands, let alone if my home was hit by an event or a liability claim.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My home flooded due to a backup in the common line. The HOA's insurance is Farmers. Since it was due to a common line issue, we had to go through HOA insurance. First off, they lowballed the amount - which is expected. They didn't account for higher prices given the local economy. They brought their own contractor, which seems shady. Then, they tried to force my HOA into using their contractor, which only has a 1-star review. It all seems highly illegal (I'm not a lawyer, but they are pushing the envelope with ethics). On top of all of it, the adjuster himself speaks down to me, strong arms my HOA contractor, speaks to me with no respect and is unwilling to negotiate, because he wants his contractor to do the work and he refuses to pay for another contractor. Avoid Farmers. Go with Homesite instead (my personal insurance).

Original review: March 22, 2019

Winter, 20F, heater not working, no electricity, power outage. Hotel rates in the area soaring to $500-600 per night. Asked for their special rate to accommodate family for 1 night. Farms opened a claim - first for 7 years on the policy, and with no any help did not close it. Next year premium raised 50% - called - "You have open claim, possible property damage". Tried to shot for insurance - ALL saying, "Your residence is listed as total loss, we can not insure it." Upper management even did not responded.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I was recently involved in an accident where I was injured as the passenger and the driver was at fault. This happened out of state for me. Jennifer ** was my agent and arranged the liability coverage for my claim. She was professional and courteous. Her knowledge of what I needed was excellent. The convenience of being able to get things done without having to come into an office after surgery was a plus. I highly recommend this company for your insurance needs. I can't express how pleased I am with Jennifer and all that she has done for me. Thanks for all you do!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently moved and at the same time changed my auto and home policies from State Farm to Farmers, because home policy was cheaper from Farmers. Spent an hour with the agent to do the paperwork. Within two months, was asked to submit other docs on both policies upon pain of cancellation or premium increase, both of which happened. This is after no claims with previous insurers going back to 1977. Went to GEICO online and did everything online in 15 minutes AND saved money besides. Do yourself a favor and use anyone but Farmers.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

After 29 years of paying Farmers Insurance we had to make a claim on our home. We had a hail storm in South Dakota which left the siding of our house cosmetically damaged and exposed to the elements. It has taken Farmers 6 months to call out an engineer and deny the claim because the siding is now weathered. The claim was denied because the siding is weathered after the hail beat the finish off. The adjuster said since the siding is weathered and would not pay the claim because weather caused the damage and “That’s just the way the siding wears”. Hmm let’s see "weather” aka “hailstorm". Blasts a finish off a substrate leaving it exposed to “the weather”, but weather didn’t cause this? Last time I checked hail is weather!

The wrapped J trim around all the brick molding was also beat to crap. This is installed before the siding forming a J channel. Farmers will pay for a hack and caulk job which gives about a year before moisture rots the siding. Since Farmers is denying the claim it forces us to get a loan to pay for the hail damage, a weather event. Very funny Farmers! Don’t believe the commercials! They won’t cover it!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have family and friends with this insurance and they all love it. The policy was cheap and easy to obtain. The company is reliable. The customer care is excellent. They are very nice and they answer all of my questions easily and fast. It's easy to afford and I've never had an issue with the company. I don't plan on ever using another insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Farmers is competitively priced with the best coverage for the things that are important to me, which gives me the confidence that if something should go wrong that I am properly cover in that event. And generally they have knowledgeable and friendly customer service reps which are able to take care of most questions. They need better customer service at times though. Customers don't like to be treated as if they are bothering the rep. Some people should not be on the phone if they are having a bad day.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My agent is close by, he's fast, friendly and reliable on claims and quotes. Don't like doing business more than 100 miles away. I like that I have 30 day grace period. They have fair prices. But my deductible is too high sometimes. No hassles, or problems so far. I can call in claim any time of day 365 days a year hardly ever any questions asked. They will always cut me a check with no questions asked. They have competitive rates but they are raising my rates shortly after a claim, or even getting canceled. It difficult to find insurance in a timely manner especially when you need it. I don't like it when they raise my premium. Plus, the secretary is incompetent, or just plain lazy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I chose this because it's been in my family all my life. So far it's been great for me. Their prices are really low and they always have. Everything they've done to get from their prices of the benefits of been great. Now if they went up on their prices I might just like them but they haven't went up on their prices out. So far they've been treating me well too.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Farmers was cheaper than our last plan and my husband is always looking to get a better rate. As far as I know certain things are covered and certain things are not covered. An example would be we need a new roof and unfortunately our home warranty is up and insurance only pays in certain cases. So we will have to figure out how we will pay for that. I wish it was more affordable and the insurance company would cover the cost of our roof to be fixed because it has a few leaks in it. But as far as I know we will have to pay for that fix out of our own pockets which really stinks.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We shopped around a lot and Farmers had the best prices, our agent suggested them over all the other ones because they found the price to be better. However, we found that many times when we call them, they have very bad customer service.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I chose Farmers because they have an office in my hometown. They are a great company to work with. I can go by anytime if I have questions or concerns about my policy. The employees are very knowledgeable about products sold. They help to find your best coverage with the lowest cost possible. However the price of the policies could always be improved.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Farmers Homeowners Insurance is a good insurance company with good reputation. The monthly cost of the insurance is affordable. There is a budget discount package with this insurance policy. They do a good job fixing or remodeling the area in your house that was damaged. Everything will be new in my house fixing the whole house and new carpeting. However, it takes too long to fix everything. Just come in and take ownership of my possessions without asking a lot of different people running in and out of my house.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

They offered better options at a better price and their rates were very comparable. Their customer service was also a lot better than most of the others. They are pretty easy to get a hold of most of the time and they actually listen to what you have to say. However, it would be nice if they had 24 hour customer service. There have been times that something happened over the weekend and were unable to get a hold of anyone.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

They offer a very comprehensive all-inclusive, detailed policy and cover more reasons for loss the most other companies that I have compared. Customer service is easy to reach and always courteous and seem to have my interests in mind when I'm speaking to them. Claims process is fast and easy to utilize. They are always available when I need something or have a question. They had the most reasonable price, and most people that I know who also had them only had mostly positive things to say, heard very few, if any, negative comments.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I had a friend within the company who put me in contact with an agent. I liked what they were able to offer me. Also, their customer service people are fantastic! When I had to file a claim they were extremely knowledgeable and kept me calm. I love all their online capabilities and the commercials are just a hoot and a half! However, the homeowners' insurance policy was a bit confusing to understand. I didn't like the fact that I needed to call in to have certain aspects explained to me.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

They are easy to sign up with, they have low rates but good coverage. Also, the company is a solid one that has decades of experience. Financially they are stable and that is another quality I look for in an insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

They offer the best service and the pricing is great. They also offer a good deal on here and they have a good selection of deals upon looking up other providers when looking for services. All is well and secure. Have dependable and reliable services and nothing can be improved with this service. The services are very convenient and always easy to access when needed. Have had no problems with the service since being a member of this team and have no complaints with any of their services.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We have been very satisfied with the company. Have never had a problem with them. They are dependable and they have a good track record. They also had the best rates for us and offer a discount with our auto insurance also. Our representative has always been very informative and friendly with us as well.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Farmers is a good company and they are easy to work with. I can always call if you have any questions or concerns. They are cheap and covered what we needed. It was also the most recommend in the area!!! We will be doing business with them as long as possible and no issues occur. Happy them all the way around!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I love that they have great discounts and as well as awesome customer service. They will keep in contact. They also respond quickly to call messages and emails. But I would definitely improve how much of a hassle we as customers who pay monthly just to get things fixed. It seems like we have to go and jump through hoops. Nevertheless, I chose this homeownership policy, because it was within my budget. I can't afford a nice expensive policy. And if something breaks on my home I know I have a piece of mind because I do have a policy.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I've been with Farmers for almost 30 years now. I originally chose it was because the man I married was already using this company for his house and cars. I doubt I'll ever leave! I have my home and auto insurance through them, and they have amazing customer service! They really care about their customers, and it shows. The only thing I dislike actually has to do with the auto insurance. They were very unhappy when 16 year old me totaled my car and for 10+ years they made my mom sign something once a year promising I would not be driving any of the vehicles insured by them... Seems a bit excessive if you ask me.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers is a large, national insurance provider. The company was founded in 1928 and has grown to provide insurance policies for automobile owners, homeowners and motorcycle owners.

• Long-standing company: Farmers was started in 1928, meaning the company has a long legacy of offering excellent home insurance policies.

• Great customer service: Farmers has developed a reputation for providing excellent, individualized customer service. They are ready to process a claim quickly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Discounts: Farmers’ website offers customers advice about how they can get a discount on their premiums. These strategies include purchasing multiple policies from the company, asking customer service representatives about specific discounts online or via phone, agreeing to raise deductibles in exchange for lower premiums, and taking precautions to make homes safer.

• Service: Rates and service vary, depending on where service and coverage is being provided in the large area that Farmers serves.

• Rates: Farmers is known for increasing their rates from year to year, making their prices expensive compared to most of the market.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home