1.56/5
Based on 197 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: May 8, 2018

253 Farmers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2018

Farmers Insurance is good as long as you do not have a claim. Three years ago I filed a claim for hail damage to my roof but only the back of the house was damaged. Farmers would not pay for any of the damage but stated I needed the back of the roof replaced. I just filed a claim. Shingles came off the front of my roof from heavy winds. Again Farmers stated I needed half of the roof replaced but with my deductible they will pay next to nothing, again stating only half the roof was affected. I was told part of the problem is that I did not replace the half of the roof three years ago. As soon as the claim is finished I will be changing insurance companies. I also have auto insurance with Farmers. When I had a auto claim my car was totaled and they gave me $600.00 less because my car engine was DIRTY!

Original review: April 29, 2018

When my policies with Farmers expired, I switched to a competitor. Farmers continued to bill me, so I called and let them know that I had changed carriers. Farmers had the gall to request proof of coverage with my new carrier - which I supplied in order to end the whole business. They responded by sending threatening letters from their collections service with WARNINGS to take action against me. Despite several contacts and numerous calls to Farmers, this harassment went on for months. My agent even offered to pay what the company was requesting. No WAY - I didn't owe them a nickel. This had nothing to do with my agent - It was solely an issue fabricated by Farmers.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Beware of Farmers Insurance! They will do anything to earn a dollar and not pay a claim: Tell lies, ignore coverage, misrepresent facts, dodge inquires, fail to conduct with integrity a full investigation, and fail to provide clear reason for denial supported by applicable policy provisions. I filed my first property claim, 5 years paying, under my homeowner’s policy: Section 1, Coverage C Personal Property, “we insure accidental direct physical loss or damage.” Loss or damage means theft or distinct and demonstrable actual physical injury to or destruction of the property." My hand was struck and caught in a pool vent that altered my ring, loosen the diamond and it caused it to fall out. My claim was to reshape band and replace the 2 carat diamond.

Farmers denied the claim, without investigating, examining the ring or photos. In their first denial letter, (Alexandra **), failed to list the "Accidental Coverage Provision," or reason for denial. Instead, they simply copied from the policy, without explanation, inapplicable exclusions. After they stated that I reported “ring damaged when reaching into a vent,” they immediately proceeded to dishonestly claim that “lost was unknown" and "losing or misplacing items is not a covered loss.”

After questioning their failure to address the “accidental coverage" and misrepresentation of the facts, they finally sent a 2nd denial letter, that included the policy "accidental coverage provision." However, this was done without explanation or reason as to why said coverage did not apply or why they chose to misrepresenting the facts. They pursued this dishonesty by bringing forth different representatives, Michael **, Shaun **, Brititini **, & Adam **, who made up different versions of the claim facts and lost, dodged questions, told outright lies, and refused to acknowledge “accidental coverage” provision.

After resorting to e-mails, to stop the dishonesty, I finally stated that Farmers were not operating in “good faith,” and would like to verify Farmers' administrators addresses, so I could file a complaint. They responded, "We have hired attorney, James **, and "all further communication must be directed to him."" Interesting, this attorney, sent a letter, identified my claim as a “theft claim, not accidental, and never explained why Farmer had hired him. I had already submitted my complaint to three of Farmers’ administrative officers, Jeff **, Keith ** and Tim **, all failed to respond. The attorney finally responded, “although correspondence was prior to him being retained, Farmers requested that I respond.” Of course he stated that Farmers denies "allegations of bad faith, etc."

I submitted this complaint to the Insurance Commissioner and Better Business Bureau. I am still awaiting a response from the Insurance Commissioner. Farmers responded to the BBB with even more outrageous lies, claiming, that "diamond was lost," "constant wearing of the ring had worn it out and it failed to hold the diamond," too contradictorily stating, I have "not, in fact suffered a loss of the diamond as she is aware of its location." This is sad!

Needless to say, I canceled all three of my policies: home, auto and golf cart, all had endured price increases every year, only to find out that I would not receive a refund on my golf cart. Farmer’s (Agent Kevin **), without asking or informing, had insured the golf cart under a “fully-earned” premium. The insurance co. had immediately earned full payment, regardless of when policy was canceled. No refund. Who does this?

STAY AWAY or RUN AWAY FROM FARMERS. We the public, need to let Farmers that we truly know a thing or two about dishonest insurance companies that go to any length, to rip off and con honest people, just to increase their profits. Then hide behind attorneys for egregious acts that they have committed. Shameful and the SWAP must be drained.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I had water damage at my home. Adjuster deny case without even study... than oops he made mistake.. Down the road I was covered only some part but only what he want to approve not actual damage due to water damage. It takes them forever to approve. They should've been doing resolving the claim... but all ** (adjuster) is doing finding ways to void claim do investigation!!! For what... it's water damage. Need to fix problems not voiding it.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Two goals for my story. To potentially save you money, and in doing so, to cost Farmers the same or more than they are costing me by your saving money. So here goes: First - education. For jewelry, if you turn in an appraisal for $X.00, you will pay the premium for $X.00 for the entirety of your coverage unless you specify otherwise. If there is a loss or theft, Farmers does not necessarily PAY you the amount on the appraisal mapped to the premium amount you are paying. They will pay you “up to” the amount of the coverage. They pay you “market value”, even though you are paying the premium for the amount on your appraisal.

The example is: I submit an appraisal for the amount of $20k. I pay premiums accordingly. My ring is stolen. Farmers assesses that market value is $10k. I am paid $10k even though I’ve been paying a higher premium which maps to the $20k. On the flipside, if I give them a $10k appraisal, and pay the associated premium of $10k, but they value the ring at $20k at the time of loss, do you think they pay you $20k? Nope. They pay you the $10k. In my opinion, that’s Farmers having their cake and eating it too.

This is what I learned when the same scenario happened to me on my modification coverage for my Jeep. So here’s that scenario, and the second goal of my email, which is to have Farmers do the right thing, or fix the system, which I feel is misleading and “cake and eat it too” mentality. Oh, and cost them money by your saving money. 3 years ago, I added a highly modified Jeep to my policy. I asked how much Farmers covered for modifications, and they told me “up to $50k”. I agreed to coverage, and provided receipts for $55k in modifications. And I’ve been paying the additional premium for “up to $50k” in mods for the last 3 years. (Extra $640 annually).

Fast forward to a month ago. The Jeep was stolen and considered a total loss. The “depreciated amount” that they are willing to cover? $27k. Do things depreciate? Yes. Did they depreciate them year over year and factor the lower value in when assessing my policy each cycle? No. Did they continue to charge the premium of “up to $50k” in modifications year over year? Yes. In my humble consumer opinion, there should be a depreciation calculation factored in when Farmers chooses to cover modifications. I would then have the choice to agree to those and continue coverage, or move on.

So, in a nutshell, I pay for higher coverage than I am being paid on. JUST like jewelry. The Texas Department of insurance told me that there are no laws regulating this, that insurance companies are here to make money and there is no legal recourse here. “Why would they tell you your stuff is worth less, and charge you less if their bottom line would be impacted negatively?” I IMPLORE you to reassess your coverage on jewelry, and covered vehicle modification/accessories, to be sure you are not overpaying. And I can only assume that Farmers does not want this to happen due to the millions of dollars they would lose by consumers knowing this.

Farmers? Anything to say? Would LOVE to hear your public response. It took me hours and hours to find the information I posted, to include how much extra I was paying for modification coverage and to confirm that I was still paying the higher premium. Happy to answer any questions. #farmersinsurance #farmersinsurancecomplaints #farmersinsurancereview #farmersinsurancestories #farmersinsuranceunhappycustomer @farmersinsurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: April 7, 2018

On 04/05/2018, sometime between 1 am and 5 am, we had a water-line break in our upstairs bathroom and judging by the amount of water, it ran for several hours. Floors upstairs, and walls, floors and everything in the rooms below was soaked! Well, that's what we have Homeowner's Insurance for, right? A policy that we've been paying into faithfully since 2003, NEVER missed a payment, and NEVER had a claim before.

So I called the insurance company, Farmer's Mutual, thinking it would be just a matter of a claims adjuster coming to our house to assess/verify the damage (I had taken pictures too before we started mopping up the worst of the mess). This should be a "formality", right? WRONG!!! The insurance agent on the phone started reading off to me what is covered... fire, explosion, smoke, lightning, blah, blah, blah, vandalism, airplane crash, sinkhole and... wait for it... VOLCANO eruption!!!

"VOLCANO??? In West Virginia? What are the chances of that?" So our policy covers things that are LESS likely to occur than winning the lottery jackpot 10 times in a row, but it DOESN'T cover something as likely to happen as a water line breaking??? So, if you have a Homeowner's policy with Farmer's Mutual, then READ YOUR POLICY'S FINE PRINT!!! Read it, and then read it again, and read the EXTRA-FINE fine print! Don't look for what it SAYS in there, but instead look for what it DOESN'T SAY!!! I'm still looking for the airplane crash and Volcano coverage in our policy... just in case we survive one of those and can file a claim for it to get our water damage taken care of.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Contacted Company to have my insurance changed from annual to monthly payments. No one responded and I went with a different company. They later responded sending me a notice from a collection agency.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have maintained homeowners, cars, and life insurance with Farmers for years, paying out many thousands of dollars for my coverage. My basement went underwater due to a major storm, destroying many things but most importantly my furnace. No one works after 3:30 in the afternoon at Farmers: claims, supervisors, the agent that sold me my policy, which is really frustrating when you have no heat in your home and it's 25 degrees outside.

My claim was denied because of some really slick double and triple talk on my policy. It says that things are covered in one part then in another part 20 pages later it explains why I am not covered. I don't get how these scum bags are allowed to do business like this. Even more disgusting is when I look on their website it shows people doing disaster recovery after Hurricane Harvey, I'm sure that no one was covered for that. "We know a thing or two, because we've seen a thing or two" - really refers to the fact that because they have been doing this for so long they really know how to not pay for anything.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I got sucked in by their low rates. I took the time to switch my homeowner's and 2 auto policies over to Farmers. Paid the deductible, got my mortgage company all set. 2 days after I canceled everything with my old policy they contacted me and said they canceled my homeowner's policy. 2 days! Who does that? Ridiculous! Stay away from this company! Unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

This is my worst decision ever made - to be a Farmers customer. I have Home and Auto insurance with them. There were heavy storms that caused damage on my home roof. I called in Farmers twice. Both times I was denied of roof replacement stating there isn't enough damage. Very bad customer service, thieves who only rob money from people. NEVER BUY FARMERS.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I was given false rates by the agent that worked with me. I switched to Farmers because I was referred to by a mortgage company, but this agent quoted prices that were low and also lied about the deductibles with Farmers, when it was not true. Also, the company could not get my online account together until 3 months and also quadrupled my auto policies. This company has no clue what they are doing. They are very inefficient and lack good customer service. Even the district manager is out to gain a buck or two.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

My Mom had wind damage to her roof that they will not pay for as promised when she bought the policy years ago. They have done everything they could and used every excuse not to pay for claim. Home insurance covers standard perils like wind, hail, fire, etc. but they won't pay.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Seniors and low income people beware of Farmers Insurance in Waco, Texas. I would not recommend them. They are not only more expensive than Allstate for instance for both car and home insurance, they treat you terrible if you have any financial difficulty and they absolutely do not give a damn about you. I had both auto and homeowners insurance with them prior to 2018 for years.

Unfortunately I'm a poor single senior on a fixed income and they would not or could not reduce my auto or home insurance when I asked them to. So I thought I had cancelled my home insurance first. I told them I could not pay but it's probably my fault because I did not insist that they cancel it immediately. Then they turned me over to a collection agency without telling me or offering me a chance to pay $163 to pay off the home policy. Gee wouldn't that have been the right thing to do and the humane way to treat a long time customer for a lousy $163? Secondly they are more expensive and I found cheaper similar policies with Allstate. I highly recommend Allstate.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

My husband and I put in a claim for water damage on July 30, 2017 and we are still waiting for closure to our claim. We are senior citizens, my husband is a 100% disabled Veteran and we feel that Brian ** has taken advantage of our inexperience of dealing with claims. We have been with Farmers for approximately 15 years with zero claims. We have 3 vehicles and also flooding insurance with Farmers.

The claims we have submitted for our master bathroom and living room area due to flooding from a broken water pipe. Brian always seems to find reasons not to pay invoices we have sent to him. He has had several arguments with our vendors requesting for payment for their services. For example while our home was in demolition we advised Brian that we were going to not stay in our home due to extreme dust and construction due to removal of tile and replacing it. We submitted a invoice which now he is refusing to pay. Prior to this we had told Brian that we were going to stay somewhere else and he said, “Fine. Just get me an invoice”. When we submitted our invoice Brian stated, ”No way will I pay this invoice. You had other rooms to stay in during this time”.

I have severe health issues and told him that, at our first meeting, with a witness from Servpro who heard him agree to our staying elsewhere. We are not sure why Brian ** is doing this, maybe lack of experience. We are now facing our vendor coming after us for this balance due. And we have not been reimbursed for our rental agreement. We are on a limited budget and cannot afford this. We advised Brian that we would be submitting a complaint on Brian and Farmers Insurance and Brian stated "do what you have to do". My husband and I are disgusted with the treatment we have received from Farmers Insurance.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I noticed a spot recently in an upstairs bedroom for a leak on the roof. The recent storms in Georgia being the culprit. I filed a claim and had a reputable roofer come to meet with the adjuster. The adjuster also brought a roofer. BOTH roofers told the adjuster I needed the roof to be replaced. I had significant wind damage and at least 26 shingles required replacement but the shingles were too brittle. The next day the adjuster calls and tells me the roof should be repaired and Farmers would not provide any towards repairs and it should only cost $962 and since my deductible is $1,000 I'm stuck. I followed the next step which is for a second opinion, they too have said the roof is repairable even though all of the roofers have said it's not.

I have NEVER opened a claim - auto nor home and I have to say this is the WORST experience I've been part of in terms of service. I told one adjuster today it makes more sense to pay for shoddy insurance if I'm going to have to pay out of pocket anyway - her response "as a consumer it's your right to take your business elsewhere" - what great service that is! Stay FAR FAR away from this insurance company. They do not take care of their customers and only want the high premiums you pay each month. Also to note - I now have 2 additional leaks from the roof.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Our tenants called with a sudden hole in our dining room - upon inspection - the plumbers identified a failure in our shower liner - there was mold present. We had the Farmers Insurance assessor come out - DeJuan ** - and he said that as there was mold present and that as the tenants used the shower daily - that we were not covered!! If the shower liner damage was instant and caused a hole - then that would be covered- but if the same damage was caused slowly - it is NOT COVERED- disgraceful lack of coverage- WILL not be using Farmers Insurance again - very disappointed- I will continue to share my experience!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Farmers Homeowners Insurance company is a no go. Beware of shady claims adjusters, bad service, and lack of care for your well being in the case of a disaster. Our adjuster Jamie ** has been a joke. We have to constantly correct the man in areas where he attempts to short our household funds, or reimbursements. Farmers Insurance paid a sistering company money for work not done shorting the contractor hired disallowing our home to be repaired. This company will short change you anyone way it can. Farmers is prepared to allow a family to stay at a shelter while a contract is limbo due to lack of pay to the contractor hired. Beware of Farmers Insurance.

Original review: July 31, 2017

On June 24th 2017, Agent Ray ** came to inspect my home, before I could purchase insurance. He was very rude, complained about everything in my home. He looked at my kitchen cabinets, asked where I purchased them. I answered that I didn't remember the company name. Then he opens the sink cabinet and looks inside. What does that have to do with purchasing insurance? On my other home, he said there was mildew on the roof. It wasn't mildew... But he did say that my insurance would go down $200 if I had it cleaned. We swept up the "pollen" and haven't heard from him since.

Original review: June 15, 2017

After paying annual premiums for 23 years (~$2000/year), filed a claim for damage due to water leak. Problem found to be drain adapter of shower pan - bottom piece broke. Leak appeared to happen the day discovered, after 2 kids showing. Adapter failed, causing water to bypass drain and permeate floor and walls surrounding shower. Claim was denied, because adapter showed signs of aging.

Yes, these adapters age and begin to deteriorate the day they are installed. There was no way for me to examine the under portion of the adapter (piece that failed). Farmers denied claim based on an exclusion that the damage has to be from a sudden and accidental discharge. I pointed out that this is exactly what I had, but Farmer's denial claimed that the adapter showed signs of aging and therefore leak was not sudden.

Consumers need to be aware of not only the exclusions and exceptions but need to interpret, based on these exclusions, how the insurance company will respond to the types of claims potentially filed, and adjust their policy to provide the best insurance at the most effective pricing for the consumer - not the insurance company. Agents should make consumers aware of these exclusions, and state and federal laws should mandate this, preventing the smoke and mirror sales.

Original review: June 11, 2017

Since signing on with them 8 weeks ago it has been one mess after another, starting with my bank sending me threats and notices that evidence of coverage wasn't provided by Farmers, then extra charges, errors on Farmers' end, failure to notify me in writing of why they were billing me, disappearing discounts and the list goes on. I offered to open up my home for the company to come and take pictures, open outlets And you're to prove electric, plumbing and roof updates. They would not take me up on this. When trying to get my business they accepted my proof of upgrading documents (receipts, city property website, etc). Yet after I signed on, They seemed determined to withdraw the discounts. Their requirements are beyond unreasonable.

I Have over a million in assets I elected to insure with Farmers and I'm profoundly disappointed in service. A classic case of getting what I pay for... actually less. I have spoken with my contacts on these matters and have been advised to seek different insurance at this point. Because it is required I will maintain these policies until a new provider is identified. I got other quotes a few months ago when I chose them so it shouldn't take long. Customer service is a disappearing value in our current social climate but I feel confident I can revisit my search and feel like I haven't been told one thing at signing and received quite another. Do NOT choose Farmers.

Original review: June 10, 2017

Farmers Homeowners Insurance, with Farmers is a joke. My hot water line busted underneath my home. I was out of my home for two months, I was in a hotel for three months. I was told my adjuster, that they was going to find me temporary housing. I ask the adjuster, about moving in with family or friends. I moved in with a family member, the adjuster asked me to write up a rental agreement. The first payment went good, but the second one was a mess. The agreement was, a payment was to be made on the 24th of every month. The adjuster made a partial payment to my account. I told the adjuster, that's not the agreement we made. I want the whole amount to be deposit, into my account. I have been paying for insurance through this company for years.

Farmers adjuster Julie **, had D.R.I to come into my home and clean out my cabinets. They were to remodel my kitchen cabinets, she changed her mind about the remodeling of my kitchen. I wasn't informed about her decision, now I have to put everything back into my cabinets myself. This was unnecessary, and it make more work for me to do. My front bathroom was remodel, and the plumber they had to come and fix the piping. This man was so unprofessional, he wanted all the money before the job was completed. They busted a pipe under the sink, and they had the nerves to ask me to go and buy another pipe. I told Jack the Plumber, I wasn't buy nothing, you broke it you fix it.

I was doing my laundry and realized, they didn't route the pipe back to the laundry room. I had to wait a week before they could come back out. My experience with Farmers Insurance was horrifying, and to think they have a commercial that states. They do a thing or two, because they have seen a thing or two. That statement is a lie, I just want my home back intact. My family and I want to be comfortable, again in our own home. I am looking for another insurance company, if anyone knows of one please let me know.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Don't buy into this insurance, I have a roof damage and they refuses to pay for the damages. I have 7 different location with damages and water leaks in my house they offered $648.00. My deductible was $1000.00. They will tries to do anything to not pay out the money. Completely Crooks. Don't deal with them. You will lose every single time.

Original review: April 10, 2017

My "FORMER" Insurance agent's secretary called to tell me that they had not received my payment for my Homeowners and Auto policies. I explained that I wasn't renewing them and that I had sent them an email indicating so. She then told me that I had to write it down on paper, send it to them with copies of my new policies. I said NO. I contacted you, which is more courtesy than is required. She then informed me that if I didn't, they would issue the renewal policy anyway and then send me to collections. I thanked her and hung up the phone and then I called the Missouri State Insurance commission and filed a complaint. Way to go Farmers! Glad I left you!

Original review: April 4, 2017

I've had Farmers ins for about 10 years on my 3 homes, 6 autos and paid my premiums as they come due... Have NEVER in the past 10 years ever made a claim. We had a huge snowstorm and collapsed my deck ($20,000). YES. A big elevated, attached deck at my cabin. Adjuster said it wasn't covered because it wasn't part of the home even though it was attached.

HERE'S WHERE FARMERS SCREW YOU. The agent is all folksy, nice, smiles a lot to get your business...says “don't worry about a thing, we cover your entire home,” etc and never mentions anything about decks, etc...and leads us to buying their company... Then here comes the adjuster and it’s his job to give you the bad news... "Oh you didn't read the fine print?? It says here on page 77” or whatever... Who reads the fine print?? Very bad customer service. DO NOT BUY INTO THEIR COMPANY.

Original review: April 3, 2017

The claim statement was misleading regarding the amount of money I received after getting my hail damaged fence power washed and stained.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I signed up online in December of 2015 because I was concerned about my neighbors. I live in a 4-plex of an apartment complex and of course, cannot be aware of or in control of what my neighbors do. I have never had Farmers try to call me, I receive automated generated emails.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I live in the southwest where wind is a common occurrence. About a week ago, we had our first big wind storm of the spring, with gusts reaching 65 mph (this storm lasted about six hours). My elderly father (90) lost about half of his wooden fence. He has always paid his premium on time and we both trusted that Farmers would help at least some. He lives in a nice neighborhood, nice home, decent fence. The adjuster came out two days ago and told a long story about how strong the winds were when she was a little girl (about 40 years ago) and lived in a nearby town. She said that the recent storm (which garnered severe storm warnings for days ahead of time) was "nothing." She did, however, say that multiple homes had received damages (go figure).

After not calling by the end the day yesterday (when promised), she calls late today and without apologizing, leaves a two minute message stating that she was not convinced that it was "wind that damaged the fence." There was no empathy or advocacy. Just those words and that Farmers would not be able to help. This is going to be crushing news to my dad who is on a fixed income and naively trusted that other people would be fair to him. I wish I could give Farmers a higher rating. To be honest, I feel terribly disillusioned, as well.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

Every insurance company out there has its advocates and its detractors. That said, there are some common objective standards that should and could be applied in judging insurance companies, after one strips out the outlier issues that cause individuals to either complain or scream approval! These standards include: customer service (#1), empathy (#2), advocacy (i.e. advocate for you in the event of an incident, for e.g. a car accident, #3), follow-through (#4) and resolution (#5).

In 30 years, I've had 4 insurance companies: 20th Century (now 21st Century), State Farm, Progressive and now Farmers. On all the standards above, Farmers is head and shoulders above the rest. Their customer service is superlative. This includes the front-line of contact and the processors. Most of the time, you don't think about your insurance company. It becomes hugely important when you have an accident.

In my case, I am writing after less than a week from a horrific car accident in which I was struck in an intersection by a car at some speed. My high-end car will now be a total loss. From the first report on the accident, Farmers reps have been extraordinarily attentive, very empathetic, have followed-up diligently, and have identified pathways to resolution from the beginning. Because of the insurance I carry, they have assured me at every turn that they are covering all the costs of the rental, the towing, the possible repair (which in this case will now be a write-off) and the ultimate current value of the car. At this point, I am still not sure what that value will come in at, but of one thing I am sure: it will be fair, reasonable and consistent with data. Most important, their follow-through sets a standard, in my experience, of excellence, efficiency and communication with me, the consumer.

My advice to all who interact with insurance companies: be responsive and responsible yourselves first. Make sure you can gather and provide data wherever possible. None of the companies has overarching policies that they transmit internally to ensure that they use to diminish their responsibility or that they stiff you (despite this being the dominant impression among consumers). Each case is in fact a judgement, based on data and facts, and consistent with their actuarial and other data.

Second, don't treat them as adversaries. They are in business to minimize loss and maximize profit. There is nothing inherently evil or wrong in this mission. If you start out with an attitude of entitlement, without recognizing their need to establish facts, and the burden of liability, and the specifics of your policy (which you should read thoroughly), then it won't end well. Bottom line for me: Farmers is by far the best insurance company I have had. I have them for home and car (2-car family, so both cars are insured).

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

From the time I purchased my home in 2005 to 2010 I paid coverage for 199,000. I had paid every year the whole premium on the home. Then in 2010 I had a house fire. An agent came out just to tell me "no I'm sorry. I'm only paying you half." Left me at an aww... I was so angry not even enough to fix the home again. I am here still until this day wondering why I paid so much money for them to tell me nope.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

This company treated me terrible and didn't care about an emergency situation when a car hit my building and was stuck in the side of it. The fire dept came and told me I had to get out now for fear of collapse. I stayed in motel and had one paid meal there and Farmer's refused to pay the $23 for a meal out, even though I didn't have access to my home, so I had to eat out and I obviously didn't take advantage of it. Farmer's wouldn't pay out anything so I incurred all expenses and anxiety really bad having to be out of my building, not knowing if it would fall, and seeing a car stuck in it.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers is a large, national insurance provider. The company was founded in 1928 and has grown to provide insurance policies for automobile owners, homeowners and motorcycle owners.

• Long-standing company: Farmers was started in 1928, meaning the company has a long legacy of offering excellent home insurance policies.

• Great customer service: Farmers has developed a reputation for providing excellent, individualized customer service. They are ready to process a claim quickly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Discounts: Farmers’ website offers customers advice about how they can get a discount on their premiums. These strategies include purchasing multiple policies from the company, asking customer service representatives about specific discounts online or via phone, agreeing to raise deductibles in exchange for lower premiums, and taking precautions to make homes safer.

• Service: Rates and service vary, depending on where service and coverage is being provided in the large area that Farmers serves.

• Rates: Farmers is known for increasing their rates from year to year, making their prices expensive compared to most of the market.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home