3.86/5

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

389 Farmers Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

After 29 years of paying Farmers Insurance we had to make a claim on our home. We had a hail storm in South Dakota which left the siding of our house cosmetically damaged and exposed to the elements. It has taken Farmers 6 months to call out an engineer and deny the claim because the siding is now weathered. The claim was denied because the siding is weathered after the hail beat the finish off. The adjuster said since the siding is weathered and would not pay the claim because weather caused the damage and “That’s just the way the siding wears”. Hmm let’s see "weather” aka “hailstorm". Blasts a finish off a substrate leaving it exposed to “the weather”, but weather didn’t cause this? Last time I checked hail is weather!

The wrapped J trim around all the brick molding was also beat to crap. This is installed before the siding forming a J channel. Farmers will pay for a hack and caulk job which gives about a year before moisture rots the siding. Since Farmers is denying the claim it forces us to get a loan to pay for the hail damage, a weather event. Very funny Farmers! Don’t believe the commercials! They won’t cover it!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have family and friends with this insurance and they all love it. The policy was cheap and easy to obtain. The company is reliable. The customer care is excellent. They are very nice and they answer all of my questions easily and fast. It's easy to afford and I've never had an issue with the company. I don't plan on ever using another insurance company.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Farmers is competitively priced with the best coverage for the things that are important to me, which gives me the confidence that if something should go wrong that I am properly cover in that event. And generally they have knowledgeable and friendly customer service reps which are able to take care of most questions. They need better customer service at times though. Customers don't like to be treated as if they are bothering the rep. Some people should not be on the phone if they are having a bad day.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My agent is close by, he's fast, friendly and reliable on claims and quotes. Don't like doing business more than 100 miles away. I like that I have 30 day grace period. They have fair prices. But my deductible is too high sometimes. No hassles, or problems so far. I can call in claim any time of day 365 days a year hardly ever any questions asked. They will always cut me a check with no questions asked. They have competitive rates but they are raising my rates shortly after a claim, or even getting canceled. It difficult to find insurance in a timely manner especially when you need it. I don't like it when they raise my premium. Plus, the secretary is incompetent, or just plain lazy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I chose this because it's been in my family all my life. So far it's been great for me. Their prices are really low and they always have. Everything they've done to get from their prices of the benefits of been great. Now if they went up on their prices I might just like them but they haven't went up on their prices out. So far they've been treating me well too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Farmers was cheaper than our last plan and my husband is always looking to get a better rate. As far as I know certain things are covered and certain things are not covered. An example would be we need a new roof and unfortunately our home warranty is up and insurance only pays in certain cases. So we will have to figure out how we will pay for that. I wish it was more affordable and the insurance company would cover the cost of our roof to be fixed because it has a few leaks in it. But as far as I know we will have to pay for that fix out of our own pockets which really stinks.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We shopped around a lot and Farmers had the best prices, our agent suggested them over all the other ones because they found the price to be better. However, we found that many times when we call them, they have very bad customer service.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I chose Farmers because they have an office in my hometown. They are a great company to work with. I can go by anytime if I have questions or concerns about my policy. The employees are very knowledgeable about products sold. They help to find your best coverage with the lowest cost possible. However the price of the policies could always be improved.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Farmers Homeowners Insurance is a good insurance company with good reputation. The monthly cost of the insurance is affordable. There is a budget discount package with this insurance policy. They do a good job fixing or remodeling the area in your house that was damaged. Everything will be new in my house fixing the whole house and new carpeting. However, it takes too long to fix everything. Just come in and take ownership of my possessions without asking a lot of different people running in and out of my house.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

They offered better options at a better price and their rates were very comparable. Their customer service was also a lot better than most of the others. They are pretty easy to get a hold of most of the time and they actually listen to what you have to say. However, it would be nice if they had 24 hour customer service. There have been times that something happened over the weekend and were unable to get a hold of anyone.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

They offer a very comprehensive all-inclusive, detailed policy and cover more reasons for loss the most other companies that I have compared. Customer service is easy to reach and always courteous and seem to have my interests in mind when I'm speaking to them. Claims process is fast and easy to utilize. They are always available when I need something or have a question. They had the most reasonable price, and most people that I know who also had them only had mostly positive things to say, heard very few, if any, negative comments.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I had a friend within the company who put me in contact with an agent. I liked what they were able to offer me. Also, their customer service people are fantastic! When I had to file a claim they were extremely knowledgeable and kept me calm. I love all their online capabilities and the commercials are just a hoot and a half! However, the homeowners' insurance policy was a bit confusing to understand. I didn't like the fact that I needed to call in to have certain aspects explained to me.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

They are easy to sign up with, they have low rates but good coverage. Also, the company is a solid one that has decades of experience. Financially they are stable and that is another quality I look for in an insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

They offer the best service and the pricing is great. They also offer a good deal on here and they have a good selection of deals upon looking up other providers when looking for services. All is well and secure. Have dependable and reliable services and nothing can be improved with this service. The services are very convenient and always easy to access when needed. Have had no problems with the service since being a member of this team and have no complaints with any of their services.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We have been very satisfied with the company. Have never had a problem with them. They are dependable and they have a good track record. They also had the best rates for us and offer a discount with our auto insurance also. Our representative has always been very informative and friendly with us as well.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Farmers is a good company and they are easy to work with. I can always call if you have any questions or concerns. They are cheap and covered what we needed. It was also the most recommend in the area!!! We will be doing business with them as long as possible and no issues occur. Happy them all the way around!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I love that they have great discounts and as well as awesome customer service. They will keep in contact. They also respond quickly to call messages and emails. But I would definitely improve how much of a hassle we as customers who pay monthly just to get things fixed. It seems like we have to go and jump through hoops. Nevertheless, I chose this homeownership policy, because it was within my budget. I can't afford a nice expensive policy. And if something breaks on my home I know I have a piece of mind because I do have a policy.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I've been with Farmers for almost 30 years now. I originally chose it was because the man I married was already using this company for his house and cars. I doubt I'll ever leave! I have my home and auto insurance through them, and they have amazing customer service! They really care about their customers, and it shows. The only thing I dislike actually has to do with the auto insurance. They were very unhappy when 16 year old me totaled my car and for 10+ years they made my mom sign something once a year promising I would not be driving any of the vehicles insured by them... Seems a bit excessive if you ask me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I decided to chose this home owners policy over others based on a referral from a friend of mine who had been using this same insurance company. Additionally, the cost when compared to others when I was searching was far more reasonable and covered more. They are easy to deal with when making a claim. They have a call in number that you can call into at any given time that you need to make a claim. But they should have more personal connection with the agent to review policies each year and see what could be bundled in order to get more value from each dollar.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

The coverage of my house and property is outstanding. When I have needed to file a claim, they are very easy to work with and have a claims adjuster contact you very quickly. But I wish they a more comprehensive website and an easier to use app.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Farmers is one of few homeowners insurance companies that cover in my area. Some insurance policies can be very expensive for little coverage but with them I have great coverage for a fair price! The overall cost of the insurance is very reasonable! They also have other policies that you can use on top of the homeowners and bundled into 1 bill and policy!!! Plus, I love the ease of obtaining the policy and all interactions with them! The customer service is over the top great! They are a great company who offers great services.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Farmers is a major player in the insurance field and we have had a long term relationship with them. We like their multiple policy discount and that their insurance agent is local to our address and easy to reach when needed. In addition, we can adjust our auto policy if on vacation by a simple phone call. However, the overall pricing for the policies tends to increase too quickly with inflation and the quickness that they increase rates following a claim is sometimes disturbing.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Farmers was recommended to us by family members. Farmers offered good coverage for our home and possessions and provided it at a reasonable price. The company is conveniently located with local office in our town as well and the agents are always polite and very helpful. The insurance agents there are very professional and competent too.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Farmers had the best price available. Though not outstanding, the insurance has been adequate. It was quick to sign up for and be approved. I like the salesperson, the auto pay for my insurance and the online page. The website security is very good. There are many good review for this company too. But I didn't like having to take pictures of the property. They should take lender's proof. I dislike the email statements not having mail statements to look at to deal with as well. May look for other options.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Farmers was recommended to me and they gave me a really good quote. They are always available when they are needed. The company is very responsible. I like the amount of coverage this company gives you for a good price. The people you talk to with this company are very receptive to your needs. But maybe they could have someone recommend more ways for me to save money would be an added benefit. Other than that, my policy is great just the way it is.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I figured since I already have car insurance with Farmers I just bundled and saved a little more with bundling vehicle and homeowners insurance together and plus on less bill to worry about!! They really are there for everything!! I call them and they always answer the phone pretty fast and know who I am right away. And they always call to check in with me randomly! But they could do a lot better on their website. The information is hard to find on there. Otherwise they do amazing with everything else I need!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I've done business with Farmers Homeowners Insurance before and their prices were always affordable. I've had a claim before a long time ago but they were right on top of it and I didn't have any problems getting paid at all. My daughter and a few friends also had Farmers at the time so I figured we all couldn't be wrong in choosing our insurance company. They are pretty competitive in what they charge, but I dislike paying as much as I currently do for insurance. But it's not one specific insurance company, all insurance is expensive no matter who you choose.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have been with Farmers Insurance for many years and they have always treated me fairly and honored my claims. I have spoken to countless others who say the same thing about Farmers Insurance in Taylor, TX as I do and that is that they are fair, just and honest. They are trustworthy and sold me the best policy that they could based on where my property is and they stand behind all policies sold. They are as good as any other insurer and better than most. I have never heard a bad comment about Farmers Insurance company and doubt that I ever will hear anything wrong with how that they conduct business.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Easiest to work with Farmers Homeowners Insurance than other companies for the price that you pay for the yearly amount. They go right to the mortgage company so you don't have to. They pay on a claim quickly and without any issues. I contacted them and they let me know what I had to do to get my money to replace my house and belongings after a fire. However, the cost that they charge for the yearly fee should be lower than it is currently and I would like a list of things to qualify after building a new house and/or a visit from the agent to make sure everything is correct.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I looked at many insurance options for my house and Farmers Homeowners Insurance had good ratings which is important but also had the cheaper rates. I liked many features of the insurance company including the live person interaction and low payments. These things are important for any home buyer as costs and customer service are essential to ease of living. However, I would prefer the costs to stop raising on insurance in general as the cost of living is not increasing and neither is my home's value.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers is a large, national insurance provider. The company was founded in 1928 and has grown to provide insurance policies for automobile owners, homeowners and motorcycle owners.

• Long-standing company: Farmers was started in 1928, meaning the company has a long legacy of offering excellent home insurance policies.

• Great customer service: Farmers has developed a reputation for providing excellent, individualized customer service. They are ready to process a claim quickly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

• Discounts: Farmers’ website offers customers advice about how they can get a discount on their premiums. These strategies include purchasing multiple policies from the company, asking customer service representatives about specific discounts online or via phone, agreeing to raise deductibles in exchange for lower premiums, and taking precautions to make homes safer.

• Service: Rates and service vary, depending on where service and coverage is being provided in the large area that Farmers serves.

• Rates: Farmers is known for increasing their rates from year to year, making their prices expensive compared to most of the market.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, mobile home

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Company Information

Farmers
www.farmers.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.