Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Home Insurance

4.0/5 (467 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

About Farmers Home Insurance

Farmers works with a large network of agents to offer a variety of home insurance plans, as well as multiple discounts and special coverage options, including policy bundling. Its coverage is highly customizable and available all throughout the U.S. The company also has an app to help with policy management.

Pros

• Large agent network
  • Available nationwide
  • App with policy info

Cons

• A bit pricey
  • App doesn’t allow claims filing

Bottom Line

Farmers offers clear-cut customizable home insurance plans that let you pay only for the coverage you need. Its policies are available nationwide through an extensive agent network.

Top Farmers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I was recently involved in an accident… Jennifer ** was my agent and arranged the liability coverage for my claim. She was professional and courteous. Her knowledge of what I need...

Verified

… They really are there for everything!! I call them and they always answer the phone pretty fast and know who I am right away. And they always call to check in with me randomly!....

About Farmers home insurance

Farmers is a leading home and property insurance provider. It offers several straightforward coverage options for your home, whether you have a rental, a condo, a mobile home or a house you own. It also provides policies for specialty and vacant homes.

Farmers has an easy-to-use website with an efficient quote tool and a search feature that shows all agents in your area and their ratings. If you have questions about Farmers, you can visit its website and enter your ZIP code to get a list of local agents.

Farmers homeowners insurance coverage

Farmers provides three types of home coverage options (except in California, where the Premier package isn't available). Here’s a look at its coverage offerings:

• Standard: Provides basic coverage designed for beginning homeowners. It's typically the most affordable package and includes fundamental coverage you can customize to fit your home and lifestyle.
  • Enhanced: Offers thorough coverage and extended limits; pays for the cost of a roof or home contents without depreciation.
  • Premier: The highest level of coverage for personal property; includes extended replacement cost for your home.

Farmers also includes these additional coverage features:

• Declining deductibles: Every year you renew your policy, you'll qualify for a reduced deductible.
  • Claims free discount: If you've made no claims for several years, you might be eligible for a discount.
  • Claim forgiveness: If you haven’t made a claim in five years, your deductible won't rise with your first claim.
  • Cosmetic damage: If you have functional damage in your home and file a claim, Farmers can help cover the cosmetic issues.

Farmers home insurance quotes

Home insurance quotes vary by location, the cost of a home’s rebuild, personal property and various other factors. Contact your local Farmers agent or use the online quote tool to estimate your coverage rates. To give you an idea of typical annual Farmers insurance costs, for a one-story home in Oklahoma with an estimated reconstruction cost of $128,000, Farmer quotes $1,407 for the Standard package, $1,619 for Enhanced and $1,840 for Premier.

Farmers home insurance FAQ

What does Farmers home insurance cover?
Farmers offers basic coverage like fire and flood insurance, as well as more comprehensive coverage, such as theft of jewelry and roof replacement.
Where is Farmers home insurance available?
Farmers Insurance is available in all 50 states.
How do I file a claim with Farmers home insurance?
To file a claim with Farmers, you can use its website or call your local agent.
Does Farmers offer discounts?
Yes, Farmers offers multiple discounts, some of which will show automatically with its free online quoting tool.

Is Farmers a good home insurance company?

Farmers is a good home insurance company with a user-friendly website, straightforward insurance packages and a vast network of agents. It's probably ideal if you’re looking for an affordable and comprehensive home coverage option. While its rates aren’t the most affordable, Farmers is a well-established company with highly customizable coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

Farmers Insurance recently took over my homeowner's policy from Metlife. In June 2021 I paid Metlife for 1-year of coverage in advance. Recently, my bank recognized that my policy was expired as of March 2022 (when Metlife moved my policy to Farmers). I learned of this from my bank in August when they began auto-charging escrow $$ from my checking account. I first learned about the transfer of my policy to Farmers when I called Metlife to inquire about this problem.

When I called Farmers yesterday to figure it all out I learned 2 things... #1 - someone either at Metlife or Farmer's made a data entry error and they had an incorrect mailing address for me. This was admitted by 5 different representatives on their side (supervisors of supervisors, etc...). I hadn't received any communications from Farmers. And #2 - my policy had now, in fact, really expired/had been canceled since I hadn't received any billing requests. AND NOW, since it's been over 45 days they claim to be unable to reinstate my policy.

I'm actually on hold with them now trying to get a 6th supervisor in the US to reinstate. AND, what I've learned is that when you go to buy a new policy, from any provider, there are 2 questions that now affect the cost of the policy - 1. Have you ever had a home-owners policy canceled? and 2. Have you ever missed a payment on your policy? These questions/answers affect your rates FOREVER. $$ damages?

I know many others must be having these exact issues. This policy transfer was a massive failure. Farmer's Insurance is refusing to make good on its error. And as I sit here my home and family are not covered. Also, my bank informed me this morning that they got in touch with Farmers and that they sent the bank a "current" policy showing coverage beginning in June 2022 and through June 2023. The reps I talk with on the phone today say this policy is canceled. Going on 4 hours on the phone/hold. Should I get a lawyer? Is there a class action in progress? Does anyone at Farmer’s give a crap about customer satisfaction or is it entirely about the profits?

(On hold for an underwriters supervisor now.) Now their underwriter is saying that even though they made an error and had my address wrong causing me to never receive any mail of billing notifications from them because they have no record of my mail being returned as undeliverable, they can not reinstate my policy and I would need a new policy written at almost $300 more than what it was stated to renew at in July. Still on hold....

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

No claims, renewel due, they wanted $70.00 more dollars for renewal 2023 policy, told them I was going to shop around, was under their so said bundle pkg, agent replied cost was because they anticipated 5 more storms for the year 2023 so the cost was going up, shopped around. Come to find out they were the highest of the other 3 bids, they tacked the difference onto my house insurance which was paid in full, there is a reason they want you to bundle, that way they can charge you a extra fee for nothing, there was no savings at their bundle price from the beginning, I believe that is called theft by deception, saying one thing and doing the other, this is not right with the insurance industry, hosing the people because of their GREED.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2022

The worst company ever!! I hired an agent in Carson City NV who made so many mistakes from day 1. First our home insurance was denied because Cecilia Orona said we didn’t live close to a fire dept. Found out they had our address wrong. Then she got our name wrong even though she took it from our driver’s license then the price kept changing. She told us that our roof would have to be inspected as they were our new company, and that the inspector would call me as I wanted to be there to let them into the yard. I tried setting up an appointment several times as no one ever called. I was then assured by Cecilia that she had come by the house and that there would be no problem getting insured.

I kept calling asking when the inspection would be done because they weren’t sending us the home policy until it was. We had paid for a year of home insurance in advance and paid 6 months in advance for our vehicles. After almost 2 months, they sent me an email which I happened to see in my junk mail the same day. It was from the Farmers inspector denying our home insurance due to a damaged roof. It was actually granular wear, no major damage, no missing shingles. We received no phone call from the agent or the inspector, just a denial and a 2-week time limit to replace the roof. They had done the inspection 6 weeks earlier and now gave us only 2 weeks! We then switched our agent to Jeff ** in Carson City and met with the Regional Director, Brian ** who assured us that they would take over our policy and there would be no problem extending the date the roof had to be completed.

We were told that as long as we showed them a signed contract with the approximate start and finish date for the new roof, that our policy would be reinstated. Mr. ** gave us his cell number and said to call or text if we needed assistance. Later when we did call him, we were told by Jeff ** not to contact Mr. ** as he does not speak to customers. Since Covid, businesses have fewer workers and prices doubled for materials so getting a roofer out to even give us an estimate was very difficult even though we started calling roofers the very day we received the denial. We were fortunate to find a company that came out a few days later to give us an estimate and said they could do the job in about 3 weeks.

We immediately took a copy of the signed contract and start date to Farmers but found out they had told us another lie. We were then told that their inspection underwriters were going to raise our deductible to $10,000 but that they were sure they could get the policy back to the original lower deductible because they had never heard of anyone doing that. We then continued to wait while Jeff ** and Brian ** told us of how they had so much trouble reaching out to their inspection team in Texas that they couldn’t speak to them on the phone but could only wait for them to respond by email/chat.

In other words, Farmers has no control within their own company. All the control is in the hands of their underwriter inspection team. A couple weeks later we went in to see Jeff ** who then told us that the $10,000 deductible would remain and that we could go to another company if we didn’t like it. Every roofer and every other insurance company we spoke to said they had never heard of a company doing that.

Our roof had no major damage, no missing shingles, only granular wear, and half of the roof was only 19 years old. We had a 30-year warranty. Farmers told us that even after replacing the roof, that the $10,000 deductible would remain because they couldn’t trust us now that there had been wear to the roof. We were lied to so many times and of course Farmers never returned our startup fees of $70. After several weeks, we got a prorated portion of the policy money returned but never an apology for treating us so badly and never an explanation.

This was a very stressful time in which we would have had no home insurance. Jeff ** kept saying how Farmers is such a great company and how well they treat people and how few complaints they have. If they have good reviews overall, they aren’t in this area. Go with any other company even if you must pay a little more. Farmers and the local agents here are not to be trusted. I prefer to write positive reviews but, in this case found it necessary for others to beware.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I have had nothing but problems with Farmers. The way they handled my claim was horrible. The agents are the worst. Can't find one good one. They don't care about their customers. They make many mistakes and refuse to take any responsibility for their mistakes which falls back us customers of course. You have to battle with them about everything. They have no appreciation for their customers and when we really needed them during this pandemic they were no help and nasty and mean. It's all about them. Worst customer service ever. I have nothing good to say about them and they truly don't get it. Poorly run company. All about the money for them. Selfish. They hire the worst agents. They belong in the repo business. They don't get it. Never will.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I have been with Farmers for over 30 years and had only 2 claims which they handled both promptly and completely. Then in January 2020 my home burned to the ground. I called my Agent (Steve ** in Dallas) the next morning and before I could even ask what I should do they had me connected to their temporary housing people and put $25,000 in my checking account to cover short term needs. The embers were not even cold before the adjuster was on site and declared the house a total loss.

The ads they are running about restoring your property regardless of the limits are true. Some 30 years ago my property got listed with the county nearly 1,000 sq ft less than its actual size. Nobody, even me, noticed it. This could have been a real legal nightmare but our agent and adjuster worked with us to get the house rebuilt 100% and I never had to spend a dime of my own money. All of this in the middle of the Covid pandemic with construction costs and delays going through the roof. It may have just been that the people assigned to our claim were great (every large company has its jerks).

I cannot say enough good things about Farmers and our agent. I had no problems getting through to them at any point in the process and the one thing that really stood out was the comments from the sub-contractors when they would asked what insurance we had. When I said Farmers, they smiled. Nothing makes a contractor happier than knowing they will get paid on time. It never ceases to amaze me how people immediately go on offense when dealing with a large company. All this does is put them on defense. On defense they will win every time. By working with them I gave Farmers the opportunity to help us and they did - big time.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I had a pipe burst underneath my house and got a great deal of water damage. They refused to pay because it took us a few weeks to notice this incidence. They do not cover mole as a result of water damage and have removed it from their policy recently. Be careful with this company. Their profitability has priority over customer service.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Farmers home insurance rocks! This is the most impressive insurance company I have ever dealt with! They paid $45k to replace my damaged roof and approved/funded the claim within 24 hours! Very impressive company!!

Original review: July 14, 2021

I paid two months when the policy renewed, two months the next month and three months the next. They sent me a cancellation notice because they insist the year has to be paid in Advance. THIS COMPANY SUCKS!!! I started the policy with the agent in Atascadero, CA. This is ridiculous because I was never behind!!!

Original review: July 4, 2021

I received a flyer in the mail offering me a premium on my homeowners' insurance of $660/year. I called the phone number on the flyer. They referred me to Farmers Insurance, an agent named Bruce **. I called Bruce for a quote on my three homeowners policies. Farmers Insurance quotes were more than 500% higher than the quotes I received from AllState Insurance. Want to get a new you-know-what ripped for yourself? Just insure with Farmers.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I think the payments are okay, but would love to see the deductible of $1000.00 less and more in line with the payments. Unfortunately, I can speak toward their service response or customer service team since I have not had to file a claim in 10 years.

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Company Information