Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.03/5

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Metlife Homeowners Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Homeowners?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Homeowners?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Last August, 2019 we bought our house. MetLife came out and did their usual inspection. We never heard back from them. In April, 2020 they contacted our agent and said we needed to get rid of some bushes around the house, which was already done in September 2019. They also said the roof needed to be done. We had the roof already scheduled for July 2020. The day our roof was done, we got a letter that they were not renewing us in August 2020. They never even followed up with us to see that we got everything done. If they had renewed us, they would have set our home value at $660,000, which is more than double what the home is actually worth, so we would have paid a larger than needed premium. Worst company to deal with. Thankfully we found an insurer who has been great to work with and has valued our home only slightly higher than is has been appraised for.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Metlife cancelled after I refused to let the 3rd party inspector inside my home during the Covid-19 pandemic. What part of there is a worldwide pandemic, and a potentially deadly virus spreading does Metlife not get? The inspector showed up at my house unannounced and even after I told him not to get out of his car, he did, and proceeded to walk into my yard. He took full advantage of the fact that I was a woman, by myself. These are the kind of people that are hired by this third party inspection company, and, essentially, Metlife. Apparently all Metlife is concerned about is collecting their premiums, and not human lives. Do you really want to pay money to a company that has no concern for their clients' safety?

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 18, 2020

I had been a Met Life homeowners customer for over 20 years. Every year I had problems with billing-- they would agree to a 12 month payment plan, then switch it back to a nine month payment plan whereby they say they were going to cancel my insurance. I attempted to file two claims over the course of 20 years and was denied both times. When I had enough, I called them and asked them to insure me through January 22nd and I paid their quoted amount through January 22. I called to confirm cancellation on the 23rd, and then I received another bill for $28 for one more day. All our phone conversations were recorded, and I repeatedly stated I did not want to be insured after the twenty-second. It's all about them and their money--it's not about the customer. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

My girlfriend has had MetLife homeowners for 40 + years. A drunk drove into our house which has stone siding. So here we are living in Illinois in the winter with a hole in our house. They keep lying to us about how much it will cost to fix our home. At first we were told to get it fixed and they would pay. Well they have sent two checks which will cover almost half. I guess I need a lawyer and file a complaint with the commerce commission. 10 weeks is long enough to live like this.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

After being with the same insurance agency for over 60 years, our home and auto insurance was changed to MetLife. After making a claim, it took the Donan Engineering Company 7 weeks to show up. The West side of my house was left open in the rainiest summer in centuries. The inside was destroyed including my grandmother's antique oak furniture. MetLife is insistent that the house had been leaky for an extended period of time. This is untrue. All attempts at collecting on our policy were denied. The Donan Co. has an apparently questionable reputation from private adjusters. Apparently, their people receive nice bonuses for rejecting claims. I find MetLife's use of such people below shameful behavior. My advice; steer clear of MetLife! As for my agency, I'm sure if father Rudy and son Jack were still alive, this selling out of their customers would never have happened.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

My garage was demolished by a hit-and-run driver in June 2019. I was fully insured through Metlife Homeowner's insurance for replacement value of the garage, up to $40.000. To date, they sent an adjuster out to meet me but she texted me that she had to come early, while I was still at work, because she didn't want to get caught in an expected thunderstorm. She sent a quote that was so low that I could not find any contractor that didn't laugh at the quote. I sent her (certified mail, return receipt requested, two times) all of the bids/estimates that I received.

In September, I paid out of my own pocket to have the garage removed because, it was creaking and in danger of falling into the roadway. I still have not heard back with any offer to increase the pay out to an amount that could actually replace the garage, regardless of the multiple emails, calls and letters sent through certified mail. If you want to get half of what it will cost you to replace the damage to your property, you might get paid in 10 days. If you want a fair cost to replace your damage, try another insurance company.

Original review: July 17, 2019

During a mortgage refinance we discovered that Metlife was drastically OVERCHARGE for insurance premiums. We have a $200K home, and we’re paying $4000/yr in premiums. New company offers higher coverage for $1500/yr. Premiums were paid through payroll deduction, so the gradual 5 year increase from $2000 to $3900 annual premium went unnoticed until our bank questioned the high rate. When I called to question it, the rep said he wasn’t sure, because we’ve had no claims since starting with them. Looking into legal action.

Original review: July 13, 2019

On 7/3 I was advised by my downstairs neighbor that there was a leak coming from my AC unit. I immediately called to get the leak repaired. I also called MetLife to open a claim. From start to finish, my adjusters have been as unhelpful as possible. I'm going to pay a couple thousand dollars out of pocket because they didn't provide sufficient information about the claim process and my lack of liability for the downstairs unit. They did not indicate that they had recommended vendors. The inspector didn't conduct a thorough inspection and indicated there was no damage when, in fact, the was mold damage in the AC air intake vent. In spite of the fact that there was mold damage, they didn't offer a hotel. I had to bully them into it. Now that the moldy drywall has been cut out, I have to beg to get it restored because the inspector said there was no damage. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My policy is paid by my mortgage company through escrow. It has been this way since 2007 (12 years). A few months ago, I received a notice that my policy hadn't been paid for 2019. I called MetLife and found out that the policy billing had been changed from escrow billed to insured billed, although I had never received a notice of this or a bill until the cancellation notice. I contacted my mortgage company, they too were unaware of this change and had also not received notice from MetLife or any bills from MetLife. MetLife has been so difficult to deal with and all I want to do is pay my bill. I have never had a claim and am thankful for that. I cannot imagine the nightmare that would be, considering the level of service received when trying to pay my premium. STAY AWAY!! Find another insurance company who wants your business and provides some level of customer service.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We have had Metlife for many years and have never had to file a claim on our homeowners... That is until SIX WEEKS AGO when our house flooded. There is a total lack of communication between the very young part time INEXPERIENCED 3rd party adjuster named Emma and the Mishawn at the main office, the repairs are still not done! SIX WEEKS??? As of today 3/12/19, (SIX WEEKS LATER) Metlife is telling us that they do not have a contractor in our area? Why have we been paying homeowners insurance for so long if you cannot "insure" us and be there when we need you most? Never again with Metlife!

Metlife Homeowners author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company offers home insurance, auto insurance and dental insurance. Quotes are only available by speaking with an agent directly. The company has an A rating from AM Best and offers three different plans. It also provides ways to customize coverage.

• Cost: Although MetLife’s policies differ by state and home value, its average annual premium is approximately $2,000. Lower coverage levels can cost closer to $1,600 a year, while higher coverage levels cost more than $3,000.

• Plans and coverage: MetLife’s three plans are Standard, Platinum and GrandProtect. The standard plan covers dwellings, other structures, personal property, medical payments, personal liability and loss of use. The other plans include various additional endorsements.

• Discounts: MetLife has a few ways customers can save on their premiums, including discounts for home protection devices, senior citizens, bundling and group discounts.

• Availability: MetLife writes policies in all 50 states.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor