Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Metlife Homeowners Reviews

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

After being with the same insurance agency for over 60 years, our home and auto insurance was changed to MetLife. After making a claim, it took the Donan Engineering Company 7 weeks to show up. The West side of my house was left open in the rainiest summer in centuries. The inside was destroyed including my grandmother's antique oak furniture. MetLife is insistent that the house had been leaky for an extended period of time. This is untrue. All attempts at collecting on our policy were denied. The Donan Co. has an apparently questionable reputation from private adjusters. Apparently, their people receive nice bonuses for rejecting claims. I find MetLife's use of such people below shameful behavior. My advice; steer clear of MetLife! As for my agency, I'm sure if father Rudy and son Jack were still alive, this selling out of their customers would never have happened.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

My garage was demolished by a hit-and-run driver in June 2019. I was fully insured through Metlife Homeowner's insurance for replacement value of the garage, up to $40.000. To date, they sent an adjuster out to meet me but she texted me that she had to come early, while I was still at work, because she didn't want to get caught in an expected thunderstorm. She sent a quote that was so low that I could not find any contractor that didn't laugh at the quote. I sent her (certified mail, return receipt requested, two times) all of the bids/estimates that I received.

In September, I paid out of my own pocket to have the garage removed because, it was creaking and in danger of falling into the roadway. I still have not heard back with any offer to increase the pay out to an amount that could actually replace the garage, regardless of the multiple emails, calls and letters sent through certified mail. If you want to get half of what it will cost you to replace the damage to your property, you might get paid in 10 days. If you want a fair cost to replace your damage, try another insurance company.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

During a mortgage refinance we discovered that Metlife was drastically OVERCHARGE for insurance premiums. We have a $200K home, and we’re paying $4000/yr in premiums. New company offers higher coverage for $1500/yr. Premiums were paid through payroll deduction, so the gradual 5 year increase from $2000 to $3900 annual premium went unnoticed until our bank questioned the high rate. When I called to question it, the rep said he wasn’t sure, because we’ve had no claims since starting with them. Looking into legal action.

Original review: July 13, 2019

On 7/3 I was advised by my downstairs neighbor that there was a leak coming from my AC unit. I immediately called to get the leak repaired. I also called MetLife to open a claim. From start to finish, my adjusters have been as unhelpful as possible. I'm going to pay a couple thousand dollars out of pocket because they didn't provide sufficient information about the claim process and my lack of liability for the downstairs unit. They did not indicate that they had recommended vendors. The inspector didn't conduct a thorough inspection and indicated there was no damage when, in fact, the was mold damage in the AC air intake vent. In spite of the fact that there was mold damage, they didn't offer a hotel. I had to bully them into it. Now that the moldy drywall has been cut out, I have to beg to get it restored because the inspector said there was no damage. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My policy is paid by my mortgage company through escrow. It has been this way since 2007 (12 years). A few months ago, I received a notice that my policy hadn't been paid for 2019. I called MetLife and found out that the policy billing had been changed from escrow billed to insured billed, although I had never received a notice of this or a bill until the cancellation notice. I contacted my mortgage company, they too were unaware of this change and had also not received notice from MetLife or any bills from MetLife. MetLife has been so difficult to deal with and all I want to do is pay my bill. I have never had a claim and am thankful for that. I cannot imagine the nightmare that would be, considering the level of service received when trying to pay my premium. STAY AWAY!! Find another insurance company who wants your business and provides some level of customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Homeowners?

Original review: March 12, 2019

We have had Metlife for many years and have never had to file a claim on our homeowners... That is until SIX WEEKS AGO when our house flooded. There is a total lack of communication between the very young part time INEXPERIENCED 3rd party adjuster named Emma and the Mishawn at the main office, the repairs are still not done! SIX WEEKS??? As of today 3/12/19, (SIX WEEKS LATER) Metlife is telling us that they do not have a contractor in our area? Why have we been paying homeowners insurance for so long if you cannot "insure" us and be there when we need you most? Never again with Metlife!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have great retiree discounts through my former employer for HO and auto, plus my dental separately. My overall experience is that they're not even trying with their customer service, on the phone or online. It's as if they WANT you to have a bad experience so you'll just give up and leave them alone. I don't recall EVER being solicited to complete a survey of my experience with them. You decide: low premiums or great customer service. It seems you can't have both with MetLife.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Was quoted one price over the phone and received my bill $100.00 higher. Tried call customer service. First time hung up. Called back, transferred, on hold. Called back and could not explain why. Finally give up.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I would give them zero stars if I could, because they provided me zero service. I found out the hard way that they canceled my homeowners insurance policy when they sent me the notice in the mail (according to the postage, they didn’t send until three days after cancellation). When I called them to ask why it was canceled, they said it was because the bills were never paid. My escrow was supposed to cover that, so of course I called my mortgage company furious. As it turned out, the reason the bills were never paid was because my lender never received any bills; in fact, they never even received a declaration letter.

That means I went over a year without actual homeowners insurance because MetLife did literally nothing. Even after paying to reinstate the policy that had been canceled, they STILL didn’t send any paperwork to me or my lender, despite lying and claiming that they did. It is an outrageous and even dangerous dereliction of duty on their part. I’ve since switched insurance for both home and auto because these frauds don’t deserve anyone’s business.

Original review: March 29, 2018

After extended trip, returned home to find major leak in kitchen. Cabinets, floors ruined. Constant promises from MetLife insurance lackey proved to be all lies. Bottom line, DO NOT get this Insurance. After constant lies they cancelled homeowners insurance with no notice.

Metlife Homeowners expert review by Matthew Brodsky

MetLife Homeowners offers insurance protection for a variety of home types, regardless of whether they're owned or rented. This includes houses, condos, apartments, mobile homes and manufactured homes. The insurance covers home contents, as well as property damage from causes such as theft, fire and smoke, and liability protection for lawsuits resulting from injuries sustained by visitors.

• Coverage for landlords: The company offers two types of policies geared toward protecting a landlord's property in case of damage by tenants and paying legal and court fees if a landlord is sued.

• Water backup coverage: MetLife provides an optional insurance policy to safeguard against water damage caused by backups and runoffs from sewers, drains and sump pumps.

• Arrangements with contractors: They have a deal with the national Crawford Contractor Connection network to make repairs after a claim. A MetLife agent will ensure there's a contractor in your area and schedule your property inspection.

• Replacement cost coverage: The company will pay the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of covered property damage and then, if the insured has Replacement Cost (RC) coverage, they will reimburse the homeowner for any monetary difference between the ACV and the RC.

• Available discounts: MetLife offers discounts on policies if you have home-protection devices such as deadbolt locks, burglar alarms, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.

• Best for: All homeowners, renters, landlords and owners of mobile and manufactured homes.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky