Metlife Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I called and submitted a claim for water damage in our house. They sent an insurance adjuster to our house. He got up onto our roof and told my husband that we had hail damage. He told us that we needed to call and submit a separate claim for that, which we did. Numerous time we asked him would this affect our policy in any way at all, we were told IT WOULD NOT. Well yesterday I get a cancellation letter in the mail for having too many claims filed. We were entrapped by that adjuster. He knew they would cancel us and all we will do was what he said. Well, needless to say, our cars are with them as well and I will be canceling those too.

METLIFE home insurance worst service quality. METLIFE Home Insurance increased my premium above NCRB (North Carolina Rate Bureau) 10.6%. I have never filed a claim, always paid on time, and now METLIFE is kicking me out. Bad customer quality. They do NOT care. Go to another insurance company.

I have had my current homeowners insurance company for about 7 years. They have a good "Grand Protect" program. They re-evaluate every couple of years to make sure my coverage is still current. I have not had a claim with them so I can't comment on that.

It was there, never needed it, but it was nice to have, just in case. Before that we had renters insurance from All State, and though we never needed it, it was also to have. Specially since we lived in a neighborhood that was, shall we say a bit interesting. Thankfully, nothing ever happened, never had a break in and our stuff remained ours. It not much, but it was ours. And really, what else is there to say? It is good to have insurance, just in case.

I have 3 vehicles insured with MetLife for over 7 yrs. I receive discounts for multi-vehicles plus, security system and homeowners insurance as well. I just recently filed my 1st claim for a cracked windshield. The claim/windshield process was fast and went smoothly. I have been very happy with the service/discounts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Metlife Homeowners?

I find the customer service at MetLife topnotch. Representatives are knowledgeable and responsive to my questions. While I've never had a Homeowner's insurance claim, I'm confident MetLife would be there for me if I need them.

I really have nothing to say --- I have had the insurance for many years -- but have never had to file a claim -- so I am happy with it and my insurance agent "Dave **" has been an excellent agent.

I have not made a claim in a couple of years but a few years ago we experienced a hurricane and had some damage, mostly outside. I have to say that compared to companies that our friends and family had, MetLife's response was quicker than most. We had an adjuster sent out and received our check for repairs a lot quicker and obviously they were busy due to the storm. The price is about average compared to other companies as I've shopped around. I'd say overall even the claims process is fairly easy. I have no major complaints or concerns.

This is an affordable homeowner's insurance company. We've only had to file one weather related claim but everything went smoothly with it. The company has very good customer service and is easy to get in contact with.

No problems - only called them once to remove an additional property after I sold it. Received my refund check promptly. Same for my husband when he sold his rental property.

They take care of my needs at a great price. Their service is outstanding and always have an answer to my questions. When I need to make a change they always do it in a timely way and 24 hour a day service is outstanding. They never have questioned any claim I have had and always pay out promptly. I would recommend them for any and all types of insurance as they have done a great job for me.

I am satisfied with the amount of coverage and the premiums for my homeowner's, auto, and umbrella policy. However, I cannot access Met LIfe without going through the independent agent we used years ago to obtain this insurance, and it is inconvenient when the agency is closed. I would like the option of being able to speak with a company rep at Met Life during my agent's off-hours.

Very good company. Have been with METLIFE insurance company for over four years. I have an agent in the same town that I live in and that makes it real nice. I have my house and a auto and truck insured with METLIFE also.

I am most frustrated about how I contacted the office regarding a claim on my roof. The adjuster came out and said he did not find any damage. As a result of that, I have not been able to shop for insurance elsewhere because of the claim which was never activated.

MetLife has been my insurance company for a very long time. Their customer service has always been very helpful, and they have responded to my claims very promptly. I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

I bought the policy when I bought my home over 15 years ago and I've never made a claim. My bills are auto-pay. I've never visited the website or spoke to a representative.

We have only had one claim in 25 years and it was handled very well. The only complaint I would have is the price continually rises and on a fixed income it can be very hard to pay the bill. I have not thought of changing because all our policies are combined and as I said their service is excellent.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

MetLife Homeowners offers insurance protection for a variety of home types, regardless of whether they're owned or rented. This includes houses, condos, apartments, mobile homes and manufactured homes. The insurance covers home contents, as well as property damage from causes such as theft, fire and smoke, and liability protection for lawsuits resulting from injuries sustained by visitors.

• Coverage for landlords: The company offers two types of policies geared toward protecting a landlord's property in case of damage by tenants and paying legal and court fees if a landlord is sued.
  • Water backup coverage: MetLife provides an optional insurance policy to safeguard against water damage caused by backups and runoffs from sewers, drains and sump pumps.
  • Arrangements with contractors: They have a deal with the national Crawford Contractor Connection network to make repairs after a claim. A MetLife agent will ensure there's a contractor in your area and schedule your property inspection.
  • Replacement cost coverage: The company will pay the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of covered property damage and then, if the insured has Replacement Cost (RC) coverage, they will reimburse the homeowner for any monetary difference between the ACV and the RC.
  • Available discounts: MetLife offers discounts on policies if you have home-protection devices such as deadbolt locks, burglar alarms, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors.
  • Best for All homeowners, renters, landlords and owners of mobile and manufactured homes.

Compare Homeowners Insurance