Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Home Insurance

3.5/5 (1149 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Farmers Home Insurance

Farmers works with a large network of agents to offer a variety of home insurance plans, as well as multiple discounts and special coverage options, including policy bundling. Its coverage is highly customizable and available all throughout the U.S. The company also has an app to help with policy management.

Pros

• Large agent network
  • Available nationwide
  • App with policy info

Cons

• A bit pricey
  • App doesn’t allow claims filing

Bottom Line

Farmers offers clear-cut customizable home insurance plans that let you pay only for the coverage you need. Its policies are available nationwide through an extensive agent network.

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: July 4, 2021

I received a flyer in the mail offering me a premium on my homeowners' insurance of $660/year. I called the phone number on the flyer. They referred me to Farmers Insurance, an agent named Bruce **. I called Bruce for a quote on my three homeowners policies. Farmers Insurance quotes were more than 500% higher than the quotes I received from AllState Insurance. Want to get a new you-know-what ripped for yourself? Just insure with Farmers.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I think the payments are okay, but would love to see the deductible of $1000.00 less and more in line with the payments. Unfortunately, I can speak toward their service response or customer service team since I have not had to file a claim in 10 years.

Original review: June 12, 2021

I bundled my cars with my home and it's 1/2 the price of State Farm bundled which I had before. I compared the policies and there is nothing different about them except the price and I have a great deductible of only $1000. I am very happy with them. They also gave me a low earthquake insurance price.

Original review: June 11, 2021

My Farmers agent is always available by phone and email. The cost of insurance is very reasonable, and they are always helpful with advice. I'm a long-time customer and very satisfied with the service.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

LaTroya ** helped me save ~$1,500 on my homeowner's policy AND helped me get even more coverage than I had before! She provided EXCELLENT customer service throughout the entire process. She really TOOK THE TIME to make sure I understood what I was getting and TAILORED my policy to what I needed and wanted. After finalizing the policy, I was told I needed a 4 point inspection (I already paid for and provided a wind mitigation report). Despite this miscommunication, LaTroya went OUT OF HER WAY to figure it out and RESOLVE the issue. I hope to never have to file a claim, but I hope she is still there if I ever do! She is the BEST! I hope Farmers and her direct supervisor know what a GEM she is and how AMAZING she is at her job!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

My Farmers insurance agent is always available to help me, even with the Covid lockdown. By phone or email, I can always reach his office. He even helped me when my mortgage company tried to impose their insurance on me. They apparently thought my policy had lapsed, but they were wrong. I couldn't get help from the mortgage company, but my Farmers agent actually called them on the phone to confirm that they received his paperwork in the mail, and he got their assurance that they would not be adding charges to my mortgage payments for their imposed insurance.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

After searching numerous insurance companies, Farmers had the best price and coverage. It helps that I have all of my cars and homes with Farmers, so they give me a percentage off, but I still haven't found anyone who can beat their prices. When I call my agent, she is always available and answers any questions I have. Customer service has declined in our society, so having great customer service is important to me.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

While this is a reliable company, I have had multiple agents over a 20-plus years as a client/customer. I am not sure if the premiums are determined via computer model or individual on-site assessment..

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I have stuck with Farmers Insurance because I get multi-policy discounts. I tried to switch to AAA, but they will not insure homeowners in a fire prone area. I have wanted to put claims in several times with Farmers, but they said if I do my rates will go up. That is ridiculous. What good is it to insure especially when their rates are constantly going up anyway.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I’ve relied on Farmers Insurance for many years. Their pricing is competitive in TX and although not the lowest the service and expertise of the agent can make a big difference. I haven’t had any major claims but have not heard anything negative there.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER. Save yourself the hassle and go to a more reputable company. This company is quick to take your money but when you file a claim, they will NOT - under ANY circumstance - pay up. We filed two claims with them, which costed us over $25k from our pocket, and they wouldn't pay anything. In fact, when Farmers did their "investigation", they called the flood company and asked ONE question and HUNG UP ON THEM! They were unprofessional and denied us on bad faith. They DO NOT PAY any claims - at all. My neighbors had the same problems with them and they were also told that they do not pay for their claims. I can't believe the trouble we had to go through with them for months.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I wanted to share my negative experiences dealing with Luis **, his agency, and Farmers Insurance and would not recommend doing business with him or Farmers.

1. The agency has had extensive agent turnover. Since I first contacted the agency a few years ago, they've had 3-4 different agents.
2. When I initially bought my homeowners policy, none of the agents ever bothered to discuss or review my policy even though I asked for assistance. The best any of the agents did was email or have short phone conversations. It was really up to me to ask all of the questions and guide myself through the process. They offered zero advice or help.

3. None of the agents ever bothered to discuss or highlight major policy limitations and issues that should have been brought to my attention. ALSO, THE APPLICATION SAID NOTHING ABOUT VITAL LIMITATIONS.

Fast forward to my dealings with Mr. **: As my homeowners policy neared expiration last year, I emailed the agent asking for help renewing, but rec'd no response. After several days, ** finally responded telling me he was the new agent and that the other had retired. At no time did ** ever bother to contact me to say he was the new agent, nor that the policy was about to expire, nor did he ever offer to review or discuss the policy renewal, and instead just passed me off to his assistant to handle the details. And this was only after I waited over a week for him to finally get working on the renewal. During that time I actually had to waste time looking for another agent to take over the policy due to his delayed response. He showed zero interest in helping me with the policy or understanding my needs, even though the house is over 50 years old.

I then contacted his agency for a new auto policy. Without going into details, his assistant bungled the process, failed to communicate and update me, etc. It was all up to me contact them for updates etc and it took weeks to finally bind coverage. Then I recently had a plumbing issue which resulted in a recommendation to replace my sewer line which will be very expensive, $15,000+. I later found out that Farmers has a $2000 limit on this coverage, And also found out that most other carriers actually fully cover this sort of loss. Don't get a farmers homeowners policy, they don't cover many of the standard losses that most other carriers cover and their agents don't disclose any of it to policy holders!!

When I called ** to discuss, he emphatically told me "the prior agent should have offered to review your needs and the policy with you at the beginning and disclosed this limit. That is Farmers policy and that's what I always do. I'll look into this and get back with you." Then ** calls me back the next day, and totally flips the script and tells me "We have no record of you requesting help. It's up to the policy holder to request help, not the agent." In other words, rather than try to help and accept responsibility, or backup what he had told me the day prior, he chose to blame me instead. This conduct should tell you everything you need to know about how Luis ** does business, and his lack of respect and care for his policy holders. Based on my experiences, which are all true, I would not recommend doing business with farmers or Luis **. If ** tries to dispute any of these facts, I will respond again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Farmers Homeowners Insurance might be cheaper than others, but when I have to call my agent 4 times over 3 weeks to explain a simple change they made in my renewal, every time being promised to fix it until the last time when the deadline was approaching he told me he does not know why the change was made and that I should call Farmers and ask!!!! I thought I was calling Farmers when I called him. Bad -I don’t want to say dishonest- customer service!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Filed a claim in regard to our washer hose bursting in our condo. Although we wiped up the water as quickly as possible, some seeped to the condo below causing minor damage. Our condo, however, was not damaged at all. Our liability agent requested all documentation in regard to owning our condo including rules and regulations, agendas etc. What does that have to do with a washer hose bursting?? But we contacted our Hoa and they forwarded the information. Also information and contact numbers for the condo owner downstairs plus the plumber/company who repaired and replaced the washer hoses.

Well time passed and my neighbor contacted me...laughing! He said Farmers contacted him and told him the claim will not be honored because there was no negligence on my part??!! And the only way they would pay is if I was negligent... Omg. He said that was the stupidest explanation he's ever heard! How would I when the washer hose would burst!! So...needless to say, make sure you find out about liability claims especially...exactly what and how everything is covered. We plan to sell soon and definitely won't be using Farmers

Original review: July 23, 2019

I got a quote for homeowners insurance and agreed, Paid in full for 1 yr. About 2 months later I receive a letter saying I owe more money AND they lowered my insurance rate that I signed up for. This company does not care about you, all they want is more out of your pocket. STAY AWAY, there are better companies out there.

Original review: June 24, 2019

We have had our new home for almost 3 years. Over the winter we had our roof leak due to our very damming and it flooded one of our bedrooms and leaked through the floor. We called our Farmers Insurance rep right away and they send a woman over to check our roof. She did a thorough inspection and told us all the damage should be 100% covered due to the roof leaking. She said it was really bad and was going to do a report. Out of nowhere the report came back and said we had lichen on our roof and nothing will be covered. Which was completely false and the lady never even mentioned that. We had to fight again with them, they sent another woman over and she breezed through the inspection and NEVER EVEN CHECKED THE ROOF! She told us our house was fine even though we have a leak and now mold due to the leak.

They basically sent her here to appease us and she had no intention of even inspecting anything. Yet again the report came back that our roof is fine. WHAT A SCAM! I have no idea why we even have home insurance. They basically lied to us because they don’t want to pay for our roof to be fixed. Now we have to hire a lawyer to go after them for insurance fraud. This had been over months now and never resolved and now we have black mold because they refuse to fix our roof! Please save your money and home and go with another reputable insurance company that will not just take your money every month for no reason! P.S. Roof coverage is (SUPPOSEDLY) included in our insurance plan.

Original review: May 22, 2019

We had experienced a flood in our upstairs bathroom that caused water damage to the living room ceiling below. Within days suddenly the living room ceiling completely collapsed, falling with such force that it broke our 3 inch thick hardwood coffee table in half. My 80 year-old mother-in-law escaped literally within 30 seconds of being crushed.

We called Farmers within hours of the disaster. It was the kind of unexpected catastrophe any homeowner could never imagine happening but would assume any reputable home insurance company would cover. We were in shock when Farmers did not respond to us despite 4 separate attempts to contact them as instructed in the policy over the phone, online, and via text.

When we finally got a representative on the phone four days later, we were in shock when he quickly told us Farmers did not cover homeowners when their ceilings fall in. It was the quintessential moment that every homeowner assumes they will never have to face because they trust that when they routinely pay their $1400 annual home insurance premium each year, they are secure knowing their home insurance company will not leave them stranded in the event of a major catastrophe.

We insisted he come to assess the damage before he gave us this type of pact response. We were again in shock when the representative came to our home, looked up at a 10 by 3 foot hole in our ceiling and a demolished hardwood coffee table, and flatly told us the damage was not covered because, he insisted, it only involved the ceiling moving, and not because of water damage from the upstairs bathroom. I have no idea how a homeowner could foresee or prevent this type of experience. Shame on Farmers for leaving homeowners stranded in the midst of a major home disaster.

Original review: May 7, 2019

We had a house fire on Christmas Day 2018. It is now 07 May 2019 and they just now decided to extend the lease on the temporary housing until 31 Jul 2019. This is after I repeated told them construction has not started because they lowballed the repairs. The claims adjuster was in and out of my house in less than 2 hours. I was there the whole time talking to the fire investigator. This claims adjuster missed the floor joists to the second fire shrinking from 1.5 inches to 1 inch due to being burned. The claims adjuster stated in the scope of loss the floor joists can be cleaned and sealed.

I went and hired an architect and the architect said they are unstable and need to be replaced. On top of all this, because Farmers is dragging their feet, we ended up with extensive water damage and mold due to a water leak. We had the water turned off on 27 Dec 2018. All the documents Farmers had on their portal I have downloaded and printed out. Upon extensive review, they have many contradictions in their own documents. At this point, I am contacting attorneys to get the proper settlement for fix our home correctly.

Original review: April 19, 2019

On or about July 2, 2016 I called my agent Terry ** here in Saint Paul to inform him that I had some shingles on the ground and that a roofer had told me that I had hail/wind damage. A Farmer’s representative came to my residence and informed me that there was no damage, and therefore I had no claim. After repeated calls to Farmers on or about May 17th 2017 Farmers finally admitted that there was wind damage to the roof. Action was taken and payouts were made on two different occasions as one adjuster was replaced by another. The roof was replaced due to the inability to match the roof shingles, and the job was finished in late 2017, the final payment to me was made on Dec 26 2017.

I continued my Household policy with Farmers until approximately Feb of 2019, when I was informed by Terry **, the local agent for Farmers that my policy would increase from the previous amount of about $2,200 per year to $4,200 or thereabouts. Flabbergasted at this doubling of the policy I asked for an explanation, but got none. This was the price! As I declined, the policy was cancelled, even though I was still attempting to negotiate a more reasonable quote. Within a week of that notice I received a letter from my bank informing me that as I no longer had insurance that my home equity loan which required insurance was invalidated and that US Bank would procure insurance independently if I did not provide them with a new declaration of insurance. This again at a much higher cost, well over $4500.00.

As I was getting nowhere with Farmers for a more economical policy, I started to call other companies to get some comparisons. I have been quoted from $2000.00 to $3,100 depending on my deductible, which I considered acceptable ($1000.00 deductible vs $500.00 deductible). When I told them (Statefarm) to go ahead with a policy the local agent told me that when their underwriters checked my status the policy could not be executed as Farmers reported that I had three claims on my record in the last two years, and NO company could insure me because of that, unless I was willing to pay an exorbitant amount to a special type of company.

I explained to the Statefarm agent that the three claims that Farmers was reporting on was in fact ONE claim, although elongated out to almost two years before it was settled. He, (Jake), told me that until Farmers straightened out their error that Statefarm could not provide insurance. I immediately called Farmers, both the agent (copy of Terry **’s letter attached) and the home office, and in the end after many, many phone calls I was/am left at a dead end with no household insurance as Farmers has declined to adjust the claim into the ONE that it actually was. I write this letter that is where this matter stands, with no household insurance.

In addition, to make matters even worse I submitted an application for a new equity loan so as to decrease my interest rate. The application was accepted and I was quoted a new rate of 4% VS the 5% I am now paying. I went ahead with this application in February of 2019 but I have not been able to finalize it as one of the requisite needs of my bank is that I produce a copy of my insurance Declaration for my home. This I cannot provide as I have no insurance, and am not able to obtain any until Farmers rectify their mistake. This has cost me over $500.00 per month in excess interest costs since the end of February, or over $1500.00, and will continue to do so until the matter is resolved.

I have put this issue in dispute with both Lexis-Nexus and “A Plus” companies, but both companies tell me they can do nothing until Farmers changes their records. I hope that your inquiry will prove fruitful and that Farmers Insurance Co. and their agent can rectify their error that is costing me thousands, let alone if my home was hit by an event or a liability claim.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My home flooded due to a backup in the common line. The HOA's insurance is Farmers. Since it was due to a common line issue, we had to go through HOA insurance. First off, they lowballed the amount - which is expected. They didn't account for higher prices given the local economy. They brought their own contractor, which seems shady. Then, they tried to force my HOA into using their contractor, which only has a 1-star review. It all seems highly illegal (I'm not a lawyer, but they are pushing the envelope with ethics). On top of all of it, the adjuster himself speaks down to me, strong arms my HOA contractor, speaks to me with no respect and is unwilling to negotiate, because he wants his contractor to do the work and he refuses to pay for another contractor. Avoid Farmers. Go with Homesite instead (my personal insurance).

Original review: March 22, 2019

Winter, 20F, heater not working, no electricity, power outage. Hotel rates in the area soaring to $500-600 per night. Asked for their special rate to accommodate family for 1 night. Farms opened a claim - first for 7 years on the policy, and with no any help did not close it. Next year premium raised 50% - called - "You have open claim, possible property damage". Tried to shot for insurance - ALL saying, "Your residence is listed as total loss, we can not insure it." Upper management even did not responded.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I was recently involved in an accident where I was injured as the passenger and the driver was at fault. This happened out of state for me. Jennifer ** was my agent and arranged the liability coverage for my claim. She was professional and courteous. Her knowledge of what I needed was excellent. The convenience of being able to get things done without having to come into an office after surgery was a plus. I highly recommend this company for your insurance needs. I can't express how pleased I am with Jennifer and all that she has done for me. Thanks for all you do!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently moved and at the same time changed my auto and home policies from State Farm to Farmers, because home policy was cheaper from Farmers. Spent an hour with the agent to do the paperwork. Within two months, was asked to submit other docs on both policies upon pain of cancellation or premium increase, both of which happened. This is after no claims with previous insurers going back to 1977. Went to GEICO online and did everything online in 15 minutes AND saved money besides. Do yourself a favor and use anyone but Farmers.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

After 29 years of paying Farmers Insurance we had to make a claim on our home. We had a hail storm in South Dakota which left the siding of our house cosmetically damaged and exposed to the elements. It has taken Farmers 6 months to call out an engineer and deny the claim because the siding is now weathered. The claim was denied because the siding is weathered after the hail beat the finish off. The adjuster said since the siding is weathered and would not pay the claim because weather caused the damage and “That’s just the way the siding wears”. Hmm let’s see "weather” aka “hailstorm". Blasts a finish off a substrate leaving it exposed to “the weather”, but weather didn’t cause this? Last time I checked hail is weather!

The wrapped J trim around all the brick molding was also beat to crap. This is installed before the siding forming a J channel. Farmers will pay for a hack and caulk job which gives about a year before moisture rots the siding. Since Farmers is denying the claim it forces us to get a loan to pay for the hail damage, a weather event. Very funny Farmers! Don’t believe the commercials! They won’t cover it!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have family and friends with this insurance and they all love it. The policy was cheap and easy to obtain. The company is reliable. The customer care is excellent. They are very nice and they answer all of my questions easily and fast. It's easy to afford and I've never had an issue with the company. I don't plan on ever using another insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Farmers is competitively priced with the best coverage for the things that are important to me, which gives me the confidence that if something should go wrong that I am properly cover in that event. And generally they have knowledgeable and friendly customer service reps which are able to take care of most questions. They need better customer service at times though. Customers don't like to be treated as if they are bothering the rep. Some people should not be on the phone if they are having a bad day.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My agent is close by, he's fast, friendly and reliable on claims and quotes. Don't like doing business more than 100 miles away. I like that I have 30 day grace period. They have fair prices. But my deductible is too high sometimes. No hassles, or problems so far. I can call in claim any time of day 365 days a year hardly ever any questions asked. They will always cut me a check with no questions asked. They have competitive rates but they are raising my rates shortly after a claim, or even getting canceled. It difficult to find insurance in a timely manner especially when you need it. I don't like it when they raise my premium. Plus, the secretary is incompetent, or just plain lazy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I chose this because it's been in my family all my life. So far it's been great for me. Their prices are really low and they always have. Everything they've done to get from their prices of the benefits of been great. Now if they went up on their prices I might just like them but they haven't went up on their prices out. So far they've been treating me well too.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Farmers was cheaper than our last plan and my husband is always looking to get a better rate. As far as I know certain things are covered and certain things are not covered. An example would be we need a new roof and unfortunately our home warranty is up and insurance only pays in certain cases. So we will have to figure out how we will pay for that. I wish it was more affordable and the insurance company would cover the cost of our roof to be fixed because it has a few leaks in it. But as far as I know we will have to pay for that fix out of our own pockets which really stinks.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We shopped around a lot and Farmers had the best prices, our agent suggested them over all the other ones because they found the price to be better. However, we found that many times when we call them, they have very bad customer service.

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Company Information