Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
Farmers Homeowners Insurance
3.88/5

Farmers Homeowners Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

On or about July 2, 2016 I called my agent Terry ** here in Saint Paul to inform him that I had some shingles on the ground and that a roofer had told me that I had hail/wind damage. A Farmer’s representative came to my residence and informed me that there was no damage, and therefore I had no claim. After repeated calls to Farmers on or about May 17th 2017 Farmers finally admitted that there was wind damage to the roof. Action was taken and payouts were made on two different occasions as one adjuster was replaced by another. The roof was replaced due to the inability to match the roof shingles, and the job was finished in late 2017, the final payment to me was made on Dec 26 2017.

I continued my Household policy with Farmers until approximately Feb of 2019, when I was informed by Terry **, the local agent for Farmers that my policy would increase from the previous amount of about $2,200 per year to $4,200 or thereabouts. Flabbergasted at this doubling of the policy I asked for an explanation, but got none. This was the price! As I declined, the policy was cancelled, even though I was still attempting to negotiate a more reasonable quote. Within a week of that notice I received a letter from my bank informing me that as I no longer had insurance that my home equity loan which required insurance was invalidated and that US Bank would procure insurance independently if I did not provide them with a new declaration of insurance. This again at a much higher cost, well over $4500.00.

As I was getting nowhere with Farmers for a more economical policy, I started to call other companies to get some comparisons. I have been quoted from $2000.00 to $3,100 depending on my deductible, which I considered acceptable ($1000.00 deductible vs $500.00 deductible). When I told them (Statefarm) to go ahead with a policy the local agent told me that when their underwriters checked my status the policy could not be executed as Farmers reported that I had three claims on my record in the last two years, and NO company could insure me because of that, unless I was willing to pay an exorbitant amount to a special type of company.

I explained to the Statefarm agent that the three claims that Farmers was reporting on was in fact ONE claim, although elongated out to almost two years before it was settled. He, (Jake), told me that until Farmers straightened out their error that Statefarm could not provide insurance. I immediately called Farmers, both the agent (copy of Terry **’s letter attached) and the home office, and in the end after many, many phone calls I was/am left at a dead end with no household insurance as Farmers has declined to adjust the claim into the ONE that it actually was. I write this letter that is where this matter stands, with no household insurance.

In addition, to make matters even worse I submitted an application for a new equity loan so as to decrease my interest rate. The application was accepted and I was quoted a new rate of 4% VS the 5% I am now paying. I went ahead with this application in February of 2019 but I have not been able to finalize it as one of the requisite needs of my bank is that I produce a copy of my insurance Declaration for my home. This I cannot provide as I have no insurance, and am not able to obtain any until Farmers rectify their mistake. This has cost me over $500.00 per month in excess interest costs since the end of February, or over $1500.00, and will continue to do so until the matter is resolved.

I have put this issue in dispute with both Lexis-Nexus and “A Plus” companies, but both companies tell me they can do nothing until Farmers changes their records. I hope that your inquiry will prove fruitful and that Farmers Insurance Co. and their agent can rectify their error that is costing me thousands, let alone if my home was hit by an event or a liability claim.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My home flooded due to a backup in the common line. The HOA's insurance is Farmers. Since it was due to a common line issue, we had to go through HOA insurance. First off, they lowballed the amount - which is expected. They didn't account for higher prices given the local economy. They brought their own contractor, which seems shady. Then, they tried to force my HOA into using their contractor, which only has a 1-star review. It all seems highly illegal (I'm not a lawyer, but they are pushing the envelope with ethics). On top of all of it, the adjuster himself speaks down to me, strong arms my HOA contractor, speaks to me with no respect and is unwilling to negotiate, because he wants his contractor to do the work and he refuses to pay for another contractor. Avoid Farmers. Go with Homesite instead (my personal insurance).

Original review: March 22, 2019

Winter, 20F, heater not working, no electricity, power outage. Hotel rates in the area soaring to $500-600 per night. Asked for their special rate to accommodate family for 1 night. Farms opened a claim - first for 7 years on the policy, and with no any help did not close it. Next year premium raised 50% - called - "You have open claim, possible property damage". Tried to shot for insurance - ALL saying, "Your residence is listed as total loss, we can not insure it." Upper management even did not responded.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I was recently involved in an accident where I was injured as the passenger and the driver was at fault. This happened out of state for me. Jennifer ** was my agent and arranged the liability coverage for my claim. She was professional and courteous. Her knowledge of what I needed was excellent. The convenience of being able to get things done without having to come into an office after surgery was a plus. I highly recommend this company for your insurance needs. I can't express how pleased I am with Jennifer and all that she has done for me. Thanks for all you do!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently moved and at the same time changed my auto and home policies from State Farm to Farmers, because home policy was cheaper from Farmers. Spent an hour with the agent to do the paperwork. Within two months, was asked to submit other docs on both policies upon pain of cancellation or premium increase, both of which happened. This is after no claims with previous insurers going back to 1977. Went to GEICO online and did everything online in 15 minutes AND saved money besides. Do yourself a favor and use anyone but Farmers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

After 29 years of paying Farmers Insurance we had to make a claim on our home. We had a hail storm in South Dakota which left the siding of our house cosmetically damaged and exposed to the elements. It has taken Farmers 6 months to call out an engineer and deny the claim because the siding is now weathered. The claim was denied because the siding is weathered after the hail beat the finish off. The adjuster said since the siding is weathered and would not pay the claim because weather caused the damage and “That’s just the way the siding wears”. Hmm let’s see "weather” aka “hailstorm". Blasts a finish off a substrate leaving it exposed to “the weather”, but weather didn’t cause this? Last time I checked hail is weather!

The wrapped J trim around all the brick molding was also beat to crap. This is installed before the siding forming a J channel. Farmers will pay for a hack and caulk job which gives about a year before moisture rots the siding. Since Farmers is denying the claim it forces us to get a loan to pay for the hail damage, a weather event. Very funny Farmers! Don’t believe the commercials! They won’t cover it!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have family and friends with this insurance and they all love it. The policy was cheap and easy to obtain. The company is reliable. The customer care is excellent. They are very nice and they answer all of my questions easily and fast. It's easy to afford and I've never had an issue with the company. I don't plan on ever using another insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

Farmers is competitively priced with the best coverage for the things that are important to me, which gives me the confidence that if something should go wrong that I am properly cover in that event. And generally they have knowledgeable and friendly customer service reps which are able to take care of most questions. They need better customer service at times though. Customers don't like to be treated as if they are bothering the rep. Some people should not be on the phone if they are having a bad day.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My agent is close by, he's fast, friendly and reliable on claims and quotes. Don't like doing business more than 100 miles away. I like that I have 30 day grace period. They have fair prices. But my deductible is too high sometimes. No hassles, or problems so far. I can call in claim any time of day 365 days a year hardly ever any questions asked. They will always cut me a check with no questions asked. They have competitive rates but they are raising my rates shortly after a claim, or even getting canceled. It difficult to find insurance in a timely manner especially when you need it. I don't like it when they raise my premium. Plus, the secretary is incompetent, or just plain lazy.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I chose this because it's been in my family all my life. So far it's been great for me. Their prices are really low and they always have. Everything they've done to get from their prices of the benefits of been great. Now if they went up on their prices I might just like them but they haven't went up on their prices out. So far they've been treating me well too.

Farmers Homeowners Insurance Company Information