Call toll free*
Call toll free
2.69/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

403 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 19, 2018

When we tried to make a claim because our roof was damaged they refused. Our roof is old, our house is old and it was old when we bought it. Because of that...they refuse to help. This insurance company stinks and if you buy an older house because it's charming and sweet, DON'T use this insurance, they don't help at all!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Awesome rates and I could not find another auto insurance provider that could beat their rates. My dad totaled his car and they were very quick to respond and get him his check. However, some of their agents could use a class or two in customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

They stopped my accident free discount for 3 years following incident. I was with this company for 45 years! No need for loyalty when I overpay them $1200 a year compared to other Auto Insurers. Discovered half day later my was vandalized/side swiped in Walmart parking lot. And Farmers made me pay the deductible portion. Eventually was paid and Farmers negotiated the price with repair shop. But do your shopping, due diligence.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My son was in an accident with a very nice gentleman who is insured by Farmers. The State Patrol report showed the man at fault and he was cited for failure to yield. I'm not saying he was doing anything bad, he just had a driveway at the top of a hill and was pulling out and blocking the whole road with his truck and trailer when my son topped the hill. The report showed my son had zero contributing factors. It was raining, he was not speeding and had less than 100 feet to stop from the top of the hill to where the man was blocking the road.

Kevin, at Farmers, is in Michigan and he looked at Google Maps in GA and said that it looked like my son had plenty of room to stop. He told my son he should have taken evasive action to the side. The truck and trailer was completely blocking the road, there were 2 foot ditches on each side of the road and he thought my son should put his car in the ditch. He said that he didn't have to go with what the GA State Patrol said, that he could make his own decision. He said my son was 30 percent at fault. When I told him I didn't accept that answer, he threatened me that he would deny the whole claim if I didn't agree right away. He told me that since it was raining and my son drove that road every day, he should have known that something was going to happen.

According to the Insurance Commissioners office, I can sue the other driver for the difference. So if you have Farmers, if you have an accident, they can decide not to pay the claim and the other person could be forced to sue you for the difference on their claim. I will not be doing that, it is not that gentleman's fault that his insurance company does not do the right thing. This is, of course, my opinion but I feel like we were treated unfairly.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Awesome experience, my boyfriend picked them and has had Farmers for years. We haven't really had any accidents. But my boyfriend was able to use his included towing when his alternator went out! I like that the provide a hotel if we break down far away and that they include towing! Farmers has been a great company for us! The only thing they could maybe improve a little on is their prices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: May 31, 2018

When backing out of my garage, I bumped into my son's parked car. Both of us have Farmers Insurance. Farmers charged us both a deductible under their policy while other insurance carriers waive one of the deductibles in similar fact situations. Online customer help at first said it was illegal to do so in Washington State, then said she wasn't an expert on policy language, then said she didn't sell policies, then she offered to connect me with my agent, but at no time did she point me to a specific policy provision to assist me. Now my son will sue me for the deductible he was charged to fix his parked car as he wasn't at fault. Farmers really sucks if this is the best they can do.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Farmers is Awesome! Purchasing our policy was a breeze, we have an incredible agent who's truly on our side and does whatever he can to assure that things go smoothly for his customers from the initial quote to the final piece of information needed from an accident. Also, customer service is key and Farmers has amazing customer service. I don't care what any insurance company has to offer or what their rates are like, no feature compares to the quality of one's customer service. Like their accident forgiveness too. Luckily, I've never had to use it but in the event I'm in an accident, I like the idea that my rates will not be affected.

But I feel that smaller services like rental vehicles, glass repair, and roadside assistant should be offered to policyholders at no additional cost with each policy. Each of these are services that would not be used regularly and when you are paying higher premiums to get better deductibles, those smaller services are a huge incentive because it's one less thing we have to worry about in the event of an emergency.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have coverage from the Farmer's insurance. It's the only insurance I had since I started driving at 16. I switched from parents to my own, and it was an easy process. Some cars were then added/switched to policies over the phone and then paid for by mail. Most affordable, includes auto, home and life insurance. Friendly staff, you can walk into the office anytime at your convenience if you have any questions or would like to make any changes to your policy, or you can call and they will answer and make any changes that you ask them to make. Also, they mail a new calendar every year, which is nice and a birthday card every year too.

But sometimes I wish they were a little more clear of what each plan covers, what it doesn't cover, so that when there's an accident or something, the process of getting the coverage would be a lot quicker and easier. I also wish the price would go down by a little every year that we stay with them. Other than that, everything seems just like it should be. Happy with the insurance company and we would recommend them to all friends and family!

Original review: May 26, 2018

Farmers Insurance has been our insurance carrier for more than 20 years. It is well and good. We like having a local agent. In addition, his assistant is also very knowledgeable and friendly. But I dislike the rates that go up and up every year. We just don't have the budget for it any longer. I will be evaluating current quotes before renewing next time. I am also currently getting quotes from other agencies.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Filing a claim at Farmers Auto Insurance was very streamlined. Our agent handled everything. They are very personable and dependable. My son's truck was hit, and the person that hit him was very intoxicated. My son had just bought his truck. The other insurance company tried to settle for less than 10% of the damage. Farmers paid the claim and went after the other company and won.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a personalized local agent and access to a 24/7 network online. Quotes for home and auto competitive and I feel I get value for my dollar. Someone stole the rims and tires from my new Denali truck. Filed a claim and had immediate response. Claim was virtually closed as it was opened.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had roadside assistance with my claim, had a flat tire, there were severe limitations with calling and getting help. It took over 1.5 hours to completion, and you could tell the 800 number was outsourced. The person I spoke with on the phone didn't know my city, I told her an intersection, which is an extremely well known... like. I didn't think I would have to have an exact address. She couldn't navigate her computer system to plug in 120th street & Dodge so I had to physically get out of the car in the street, in flats, in winter, walk at 5:30 am in the morning, to get to an address for her to plug in. Not the biggest deal, but it kinda sucked, it was dark, snowing, and frankly was a bit ridiculous to have to do with the technology we have… she was at a computer.

Why she didn’t just pull up Google, and then Omaha 120 & Dodge and ask me if I saw the McDonald's or some other business nearby on the map and then plug that address in? It was strange that it was up to me to trek and seek an address in the dark, alone, and leave my disabled vehicle. Then, the person who came to help, took about an hour to get there. He lived in Plattsmouth, which is fine, but that's a 45 min drive to Omaha. In the snow… What. Why are you coming from Plattsmouth? Is every other contracted person in Omaha not available at 6 am on a Wed? I guess… I called for a tow because I really blew out my tire, and would've preferred to just get it done at a shop and tow it directly there.

I slid into a curb pretty good on the slick roads and bumped and cracked my hubcap eve like. I can change a tire, or I could’ve called someone to help me change a tire. I wanted a tow, because it was snowing, hard, and forecast called for it all day I wanted to get it repaired and a real treaded tire on and fixed. Instead, he said he couldn’t tow me, unless that was the only option. He said he was required to try, to put my donut on, which, it was snowy and cold and dark, and I don’t know how he managed to not lose a finger in the cold. I specifically called for the tow. Not the safest thing to roll around town with a donut on, and a donut is not the greatest thing to have on your car, in winter, when it’s snowing.

I asked for a tow, because where I was, to where the tire shop and where I live is legit more than 100 blocks away and would take 30-40 min to get to in this weather. No, I had to take the donut service and that’s it, the technicians are limited by contract on what they can and can’t provide. I understand that, it wasn’t his fault, but nonetheless it was a ridiculous, frustrating thing to be told after the fact. I waited 2 hours, after calling for a tow, for a guy in a tow truck to put on a donut for me. I used the roadside assistance once more when I had another flat, just honestly because I couldn’t get the lug nuts off. I kept asking if the tech that was coming had an impact wrench/loosener with him, because it’s really stuck, and they kept pausing and saying “they are fully equipped to help with any situation that will occur.”

Like, please. Stop with the canned, typed up by HR answers. Can you actually be a human, send this other human the message that these lug nuts are extremely tight, and this will be a process? I want him to be prepared for this… She said they don’t contact them, it’s just a computer program where you choose from a drop down menu. Then she informed me it would be a 2 to 2 and a half hour or more wait. Uhhhh, no thanks. I got it. I haven’t used it since. I don’t really trust it to actually help. I had tried to add some things like a rental car on my policy, and was met with a lot of "Ohhhh, you want to change your policy, make an appointment to come in and chat with us."

No, I just wanted to add a service, I’m happy with my policy but they were gross and pushy about me physically wasting 3 hours of my day on a sales pitch that I politely declined, Then, I was met with an answer you can’t add services “a la carte” and that the only way to change your policy was through an in person meeting. I declined, thanked them, hung up, and went to farmers.com chat and they did it within 20 minutes. I’ve had 2 claims, one hail and one an accident.

The accident was fairly simple. The other drivers’ fault, no injuries though. It was fine. But it still took ages upon ages for them to let me know that my car was totaled out. I figured it would be as it was 5 years old, and the transmission was hit, but.

I had to wait around for about 2 weeks, then the check they sent (by USPS, not direct deposit. Uh.) Then that check my bank had problems processing. Could’ve been the bank, not saying it was farmers, but it was about a month before the entire thing was resolved. With the hail claim, my “agent” didn’t even contact me. It was some other Farmer’s person from 2 states over, who assessed the damage, and then told me to choose a repair shop. I never got any contact from my local guy following up. There’s just a shady, non-transparency feel you get when dealing with any insurance company. They’re a large conglomerate company like anyone else trying to make a profit. I’ve never felt like an insurance co. actually cares or wants to pay anything out to you.

You have it if something catastrophic happens, the what ifs of life, and so you pay them monthly for that peace of mind. My agent routinely gets my name wrong. He sends me about a quarterly phone call asking me “how’s life?” and if I want to up my life/home insurance with a very wrong first name more funny than anything. They’re pleasant enough to deal with, do their job, toe the line, and very kind people. Customer service was very good. Average value for the cost of what I pay. My policy is pretty limited and I've had one accident, over 5 years ago. But they’re not genuine by any means. Responses and communication received was a little jumbled. Unclear process a lot of the time. Given the seriousness of an accident, the blaze and light, no rushed responses were a little unsettling to experience.

Original review: May 18, 2018

We have been with Farmers in Polson, MT since 2005. We deal with our Local Office here in Polson, MT. All we have to do is give a call to the office and explain what type of policy we need. We have twins that needed car insurance and most recently rental insurance. All we had to do was call our local agent Tracy **. We also have a home in LaPine, OR. It is the same situation. Call the office and explain insurance needed. We have been dealing with Karen ** of the LaPine Office since 2015 for home insurance, vehicle insurance, renters insurance and vehicle insurance for our 19 year old daughter. We have had three vehicle claims which were taken care of quickly without issues. My vehicle totaled and filing claim was as easy as a call to claims. Then it was settled quickly without issues.

Original review: May 17, 2018

At the beginning they offer tow with the plan. I have what is required by law but for some reason they changed and drop the towing part. The towing part was not very good. I use it once and it was some young person with his girlfriend and he did not know what he was doing. I end up getting AAA towing more experience people. And my insurance went up about 10$. There is nothing great about the policy.

Original review: May 13, 2018

The premiums rise significantly with every renewal. The agent is basically invisible, non-existent, never reaches out to his clients and just rakes in his commission with zero effort. Not accustomed to this, having had a far better experience with another agent and insurance company before moving here.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Have never had to file a claim but when I do call they are always there to help me and give me what I like. Always there to provide answers.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I was hit by a customer of Farmers Insurance. My van was considered totaled in a matter of days. The accident was so bad. The insurance company told us they were taking total responsibility for it. They did not. I had a three-month-old child in the car with me. The accident was bad enough that the door on the side of the van where the child was would not close. The police officer, fire marshal, and the child's doctor all said that the car seat and base have to be replaced after an impact that hard. She also would not stop crying so the officer told us it would be better to have her checked out just to be safe. We submitted the price of the car seat and the doctor's visit to the insurance company. We were told that they do not cover replacement of the car seat, that was an expense we would have to cover and being as she was found to be okay at the doctor's visit, they did not cover that either, we had to. This company is not family friendly.

Original review: May 5, 2018

A person insured by Farmers lost control of his car and ran into my home and car. Farmers has repeatedly suggested I file a claim through my homeowners insurance! Even though the adjustor has not come out yet they are already talking about not paying the full amount for the damage. Their behavior up to this point is looking very suspicious. Why would I file a claim through MY homeowners insurance when their guy is clearly liable? Why are they already trying to downgrade their responsibility? I have a feeling they are going to try to rip me off. I might have to get a lawyer.

Original review: April 4, 2018

If you want to have an insurance that has your back and your best interest, provides quality of service and resolves issues in the fastest way possible, choose Farmers. I had other insurances throughout my driving life such as Allstate, Liberty Mutual Progressive, etc. Once you are with Farmers, you cannot choose any other. They have the most amazing ability to spot and handle opportunists and frauds.

Original review: March 28, 2018

At 2 o'clock in the morning my house was on fire because the neighbors' house was in full blaze. I barely got my children out safely. Farmers canceled my policy that same day and refused to pay for anything. We are now living in a hotel. Never use Farmers. They are horrible. I am now suing them and will win. Just go with someone better. Trust me.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have been with Farmers for several years now. They have taken it upon themselves to add a nonlicensed person to my policy without my consent. I have called twice to have him removed, he's still on there. I called a third time just today and was informed that I have to have a copy of his ID and have to sign an exclusion of coverage form just to have him removed... Remember, he is NOT a licensed driver and does not live in my household or have access to my vehicle. So now I have to go out of my way to find a copier and waste a stamp just to have a person removed that never should have been there to begin with. Of course, before this I've been dealing with significant increases in my rates even with no claims at my own fault and only one claim at a truck driver's fault. Definitely looking for new insurance as of now.

Original review: March 17, 2018

As my car had been damaged significantly, and adjuster came to my home, rushing to estimate my car from damages sustained and was not my fault. He entered my car to see all damages as a door needed to be opened to look at all damages. To me, that's illegal to come w/ of notice, and prepare an estimate which was said to be way less than the amount really needed to do repairs correctly, according to a body and Fender shop that's one of their preferred shops. The shop's foreman shook his head saying, "Farmers are like that, always taking the cheapest solution."

This accident happened almost a year ago and I still didn't get it repaired. I have been very busy and esp with my MOM being not very mobile, needs us around. The part that I was annoyed on was that he came unannounced, and done the estimate without me being present and no one gave permission to have him enter my car. Does this look like procedures that's correct of doing any estimate of anyone's car insured under their auto insurance? I highly doubt that.

This review subject to edit depending on repairing my car when I do get it repaired. I needed to cash the check as it expired once. I don't like to deposit money into my bank account that's to be used for the necessary repairs as I would think it's all of mind, as I was given a check for about $2500. If to repair a little dent costs $500, then I only can imagine how much damages would actually cost, being at least twice the amount with bottom of door jam that seems solid metal being damaged significantly plus the door and rear fender, slashed across the bottom being of deep dents. If only I could attach a photo, all would see. But until the conclusion of this, I should not really identify myself.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

They are the highest priced insurance you can ever purchase. If you are rich and like to crap your money away this is your place but it is not mine. My bill was $220.00 per month and the $22 was for renters insurance.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They have been helpful, responsive & handled claims well. Always answer questions when asked. They have always responded very easily & quickly when a claim was filed. They paid claims easily & the rates remain pretty much the same.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had an accident with one of Farmers' impaired clients and instead of apologising for my inconvenience and just taking care of the damages caused by their impaired client, Farmers elected to insult me by devaluing my vehicle and attempted to force me to sell them my vehicle at a ridiculously low price to absolve them of their responsibility to take care of the damages caused by their impaired client. They set the market value of my vehicle (which by the way is not on the market) and an absolute conflict of interest and used the value that they set to justify trying to force me to sell them my vehicle. The Texas statute states that the repair to actual cash value ratio must be 100% of the vehicle's ACV. THEY ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THIS RATIO and the vehicle is 100% repairable and 100% paid for.

I'm wanting to sue the client to recover the damages he caused when he caused the accident due to his negligence and impairment since it is apparent to me that he doesn't have sufficient insurance to provide financial responsibility. He broke it! He needs to fix it! My vehicle is not for sale! Especially not for sale to absolve them of their debt to me. How the ** are they gonna force me to sell them my vehicle at a ridiculously low price to them and at a great loss to me to recover the damages caused to me by their client. WTF? The whole purpose of the claim is for me to not incur any losses as the result of their client's negligence, but they are trying to mitigate their (Farmer's) losses and pass them on to me. GTFOOH!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have insurance with the same company of the person that hit me in the back. They were at fault and the insurance company has dropped the ball on me and let the other driver get away with ruining my life. I have all the bills to pay in the process. The other driver was cited being at fault. He was driving a relative’s car which was insured by the same company that I am insured by and they done nothing to help me and done nothing to the other party for being in the wrong. It’s been 2 years and nothing. They keep stalling after sending me to doctors and racked up 35,000.00 in debt. Been with them for 25 years and when you need them they are not there for you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I just purchased my car 2 months ago and had to get insurance before leaving the lot with my car and was put on the phone with Farmers Auto Insurance. I didn't like being rushed but the agent answered all my questions and got me low rates, left happy. Two months later and I got a statement in the mail saying I owed $500?! The agent changed my policy without telling me and didn't automate my payments like we arranged and I signed for so I have a late payment and fees that he says are late fees but I don't think they charge 200 bucks as a late fee. SMH. I'm either canceling now or changing at the end of my policy whichever is cheaper and not allowing them to automate any payments as they've lost my trust.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Filing a claim was painfully slow. Most of the issues were from the GAP insurance comp. They were doing everything short of committing insurance fraud. They continued to refuse to pay off my vehicle, fortunately 4 months later, and dings against my credit score, I was able to get Starr at Farmer's to rectify the situation (with exception of my credit score!!!).

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My rates went up because of the accident for 3 years. The agent has called and I had a meeting with him to go over my coverage. One call and it was all handled.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I was at a red light. 50 mph zone. Other driver fell asleep. Totalled both cars. I need a dual fusion in my C-3 area. After 4 years I was offered 17000$. Not including attorney fees, physical therapy or operation. Perfect driving record. Also in California if you're Rear ended it's 100% their fault.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day that they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents that don't raise your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky