Call toll free*
Based on 63 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: April 4, 2018

385 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 4, 2018

If you want to have an insurance that has your back and your best interest, provides quality of service and resolves issues in the fastest way possible, choose Farmers. I had other insurances throughout my driving life such as Allstate, Liberty Mutual Progressive, etc. Once you are with Farmers, you cannot choose any other. They have the most amazing ability to spot and handle opportunists and frauds.

Original review: March 28, 2018

At 2 o'clock in the morning my house was on fire because the neighbors' house was in full blaze. I barely got my children out safely. Farmers canceled my policy that same day and refused to pay for anything. We are now living in a hotel. Never use Farmers. They are horrible. I am now suing them and will win. Just go with someone better. Trust me.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 19, 2018

I have been with Farmers for several years now. They have taken it upon themselves to add a nonlicensed person to my policy without my consent. I have called twice to have him removed, he's still on there. I called a third time just today and was informed that I have to have a copy of his ID and have to sign an exclusion of coverage form just to have him removed... Remember, he is NOT a licensed driver and does not live in my household or have access to my vehicle. So now I have to go out of my way to find a copier and waste a stamp just to have a person removed that never should have been there to begin with. Of course, before this I've been dealing with significant increases in my rates even with no claims at my own fault and only one claim at a truck driver's fault. Definitely looking for new insurance as of now.

Original review: March 17, 2018

As my car had been damaged significantly, and adjuster came to my home, rushing to estimate my car from damages sustained and was not my fault. He entered my car to see all damages as a door needed to be opened to look at all damages. To me, that's illegal to come w/ of notice, and prepare an estimate which was said to be way less than the amount really needed to do repairs correctly, according to a body and Fender shop that's one of their preferred shops. The shop's foreman shook his head saying, "Farmers are like that, always taking the cheapest solution."

This accident happened almost a year ago and I still didn't get it repaired. I have been very busy and esp with my MOM being not very mobile, needs us around. The part that I was annoyed on was that he came unannounced, and done the estimate without me being present and no one gave permission to have him enter my car. Does this look like procedures that's correct of doing any estimate of anyone's car insured under their auto insurance? I highly doubt that.

This review subject to edit depending on repairing my car when I do get it repaired. I needed to cash the check as it expired once. I don't like to deposit money into my bank account that's to be used for the necessary repairs as I would think it's all of mind, as I was given a check for about $2500. If to repair a little dent costs $500, then I only can imagine how much damages would actually cost, being at least twice the amount with bottom of door jam that seems solid metal being damaged significantly plus the door and rear fender, slashed across the bottom being of deep dents. If only I could attach a photo, all would see. But until the conclusion of this, I should not really identify myself.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

They are the highest priced insurance you can ever purchase. If you are rich and like to crap your money away this is your place but it is not mine. My bill was $220.00 per month and the $22 was for renters insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

They have been helpful, responsive & handled claims well. Always answer questions when asked. They have always responded very easily & quickly when a claim was filed. They paid claims easily & the rates remain pretty much the same.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had an accident with one of Farmers' impaired clients and instead of apologising for my inconvenience and just taking care of the damages caused by their impaired client, Farmers elected to insult me by devaluing my vehicle and attempted to force me to sell them my vehicle at a ridiculously low price to absolve them of their responsibility to take care of the damages caused by their impaired client. They set the market value of my vehicle (which by the way is not on the market) and an absolute conflict of interest and used the value that they set to justify trying to force me to sell them my vehicle. The Texas statute states that the repair to actual cash value ratio must be 100% of the vehicle's ACV. THEY ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THIS RATIO and the vehicle is 100% repairable and 100% paid for.

I'm wanting to sue the client to recover the damages he caused when he caused the accident due to his negligence and impairment since it is apparent to me that he doesn't have sufficient insurance to provide financial responsibility. He broke it! He needs to fix it! My vehicle is not for sale! Especially not for sale to absolve them of their debt to me. How the ** are they gonna force me to sell them my vehicle at a ridiculously low price to them and at a great loss to me to recover the damages caused to me by their client. WTF? The whole purpose of the claim is for me to not incur any losses as the result of their client's negligence, but they are trying to mitigate their (Farmer's) losses and pass them on to me. GTFOOH!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have insurance with the same company of the person that hit me in the back. They were at fault and the insurance company has dropped the ball on me and let the other driver get away with ruining my life. I have all the bills to pay in the process. The other driver was cited being at fault. He was driving a relative’s car which was insured by the same company that I am insured by and they done nothing to help me and done nothing to the other party for being in the wrong. It’s been 2 years and nothing. They keep stalling after sending me to doctors and racked up 35,000.00 in debt. Been with them for 25 years and when you need them they are not there for you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I just purchased my car 2 months ago and had to get insurance before leaving the lot with my car and was put on the phone with Farmers Auto Insurance. I didn't like being rushed but the agent answered all my questions and got me low rates, left happy. Two months later and I got a statement in the mail saying I owed $500?! The agent changed my policy without telling me and didn't automate my payments like we arranged and I signed for so I have a late payment and fees that he says are late fees but I don't think they charge 200 bucks as a late fee. SMH. I'm either canceling now or changing at the end of my policy whichever is cheaper and not allowing them to automate any payments as they've lost my trust.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Filing a claim was painfully slow. Most of the issues were from the GAP insurance comp. They were doing everything short of committing insurance fraud. They continued to refuse to pay off my vehicle, fortunately 4 months later, and dings against my credit score, I was able to get Starr at Farmer's to rectify the situation (with exception of my credit score!!!).

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My rates went up because of the accident for 3 years. The agent has called and I had a meeting with him to go over my coverage. One call and it was all handled.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I was at a red light. 50 mph zone. Other driver fell asleep. Totalled both cars. I need a dual fusion in my C-3 area. After 4 years I was offered 17000$. Not including attorney fees, physical therapy or operation. Perfect driving record. Also in California if you're Rear ended it's 100% their fault.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

First of all they lure you in with a lower premium and six months later it increases significantly for no reason (no claims, no tickets, no accidents). When I purchased my coverage for my home my agent convinced me to buy a rider coverage for sewer and water line coverage and he stated it would cover the repair of a break. Wrong... an extra $120 a year and it will only cover repairs caused during repair not the repair itself... which I very clearly asked if it covered the lines themselves.

Ok life goes on but I’m going to remove this coverage, then my auto renewal comes in the mail and they are increasing my premiums $30 a month... why??? My vehicles are older and I have made no claims?? I decided it was time to shop around. Found new coverage. Cancelled my policy. Paid $255 on December 10th cancelled on December 18th. They only refunded me $128 rollers... does that seem right. Over half of my monthly premium for 10 days. Called them and they are unreasonable and plain out rip off artists. If you need Insurance for home or auto I would stay away from Farmers.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have both home and auto. I have been constantly hammered with rate increases. This last one 30%. Has been this way since I first got their insurance in 2011. I have a perfect driving record. As far as auto goes Progressive and AARP Hartford are your best bets. Every other name brand company was higher.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I was involved in an accident where a truck backed into me in a store parking lot. Farmers said we were both at fault because we were both backing up even though he backed into my driver's side. Turns out we both had Farmers. His truck didn't even have a scratch on it. 2 months later I get a renewal offer raising my rate $600 for the year. I tried to argue it with the adjuster but to no avail.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Farmers Insurance has made a media splash by highlighting the unusual stuff they cover and pay. Unfortunately, they go to great lengths NOT to cover and the standard claims. Their insured was clearly liable for damage to my BMW, but after 4 weeks of putting me off ("We have to get ahold of our insured, we have to review the policy," etc), the company informed me that the U-Haul vehicle their insured was driving didn't "qualify as an insured vehicle." WHAT??? I was advised to contact U-Haul (right!). I contacted my insurance company who immediately took care of the damage. Just a heads up to persons insured by Farmers: don't drive a U-Haul and check your policy to see what you're insured for!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Ok! I was involved in an accident in Oct 14th, 2017. It was my fault. However, I do have full coverage policy and my 17 Wrangler was determined total loss by Farmers. They took the vehicle to determine the value of it and had mailed me all of the paperwork to fill out. I did my part and sent it back. They had update the value of the vehicle but still wanting to have it appraise because they refused to pay me what I was paying for. I just bought the vehicle in May of this year for around $40k plus tax about little less than $43k. They offered to pay me for total of $37968.94. That is fine... but until today's date no check or they had not done much to get it settle.

Phone call after phone call. It's either they forgot to update their record saying I didn't send back the paperwork then they had all of the paperwork but still waiting on something else... Farmers is not anywhere like used to be... almost two months after the accident, I had provided them with all receipt from the dealership and still not paying me.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I was recently involved in a minor accident with a driver insured by Farmers Insurance over the busy Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Filed a claim through Farmers the following Monday, after speaking to their insured they claimed liability and I was told to take it to their body shop for an estimate which I did but I was scheduled for repair week later because they are too busy.

Meanwhile, their rent a car company Enterprise was asking me when will I pick up the Toyota Corolla that Farmer's reserved for me? I was driving a brand new Grand Cherokee and I politely requested a similar vehicle due to safety concerns and that I was driving my truck with the whole family in it. Enterprise said that Farmers Insurance only allotted $22/day for the rent a car so that pretty much limits me to miniature cars and rules out any comparable SUVs. I knew then, something is wrong but they probably thought I was stupid.

After exhausting all efforts, I realized that is not even worth my time dealing with this loss. I declined the rental car and told them to forget about it. I then requested just pay for the damages, issue the check directly to me so I can get it fixed at another shop who can do it within the time frame I needed and hopefully be done with it. The law states that I can have my car fixed anywhere I like. But they went on and on about lifetime warranty and it's gonna take the same amount of time etc.

This is when it got interesting. I then received a call from Farmers Insurance that the shop who did the estimate already purchased the parts for my car (less than 24 hrs from the estimate) and that she is trying to persuade me on getting it fixed there. How was it possible to have the parts ordered when they didn't even have the approval on the estimate they provided. In addition, they weren't expecting the car for at least another week? When I spoke to my adjuster, she said she didn't have the estimate yet. Therefore, any approval for any repair is not possible.

I knew my rights and I demanded that they at least pay me the repair cost. I'm already irritated at this point. Basically, I'm being told take the mini car rental and let their body shop repair my truck for however long it takes or else it may take longer for them to issue the check to me. I'm already saving them money on one week rental car because I just happen to have 3 other cars parked in my driveway available for me to use. I guess they were trying to stiff me with some sort of imaginary restocking fee so their check will be smaller.

Now with all these being said, they finally agreed to process the repair check directly to me but now they need to contact their body shop for the estimate. I told them I already have the estimate that the body shop provided and I can send it to them. Then I was told that they still need additional information from the body shop??? What information do they still need? I guess this is where the running around begins.

When I get tired of this, I will file this with my good insurance company State Farm and just pay for the deductible call it a lesson in life and to know that an insurance company can easily screw you and will get away with it. I may file a complaint with the Department of Insurance in the state of Florida and give them the reviews they deserve in all forums I can find.

This is a very small claim, this company is trying too hard to make the claim process inconvenient to the claimant. Thank God I'm not insured by this company but I hope drivers insured by this company Farmers Insurance should put a sticker on their cars so we can keep a good distance. At the end of it, I'm not at fault with this accident but I used 2 days of my vacation dealing with the mess. I'll probably be driving a damage brand new car for weeks and I feel like my only recourse is to spend more money and hire an attorney and sue.

Do the math, what I spent on this is more than my claim already. The only thing I can be thankful for these days with bad and careless drivers is that I can afford a safe SUV and all of us in it are safe. It cost me money and time and they are still trying to stiff me with my small claim??? I wonder if it is a big claim? Someone from this company is probably sitting behind a desk and laughing their asses off at my expense. Stay safe out there!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have been a customer for several years. One day I went to my car and noticed that my windshield was cracked. I called Farmers and it was taken care of very quickly and easily. The staff at my Farmers Insurance office is very friendly and helpful in finding reduced rates for me and my husband. One of the clerks there suggested that my husband and I sign up for the senior driving course and that would lower our insurance rates. I have only had one or two claims, but they are very fast, courteous, and helpful in helping me with the paperwork and sending someone over to fix my windshield.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I called Farmers Auto Insurance to start home policy in a hurry, and Dawn was right there to see that I got what I needed for our new home, along with our car. the first experience was stress relieving and kind, she covered all aspects and provided documents fast. Their service was courteous, complete, and valued. Thanks again Farmers.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

With two cars and a home, insurance companies that can give you discounts for multiple items is the way to go. Farmers has always done a good job of handling our policies and smoothly handling all changes. I contact my agent and other than interacting with a service/repair organization, I usually do not need to make any other contact. Our agent is great and has been for many years. Overall, though a good insurance company, I do not think they stand out enough compared to any other insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Farmers Auto Insurance instantly had answers to my questions. I have several vehicles insured with them. I only had 4 claims within the last 10 years and all claims were handled very professionally and to my satisfaction. They were very polite and very quick. Never a challenge.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The rates for Farmers Auto Insurance are very competitive and the staff are always very friendly and helpful with any questions I have. They also return phone calls promptly with any information I have ever needed.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have experienced them to change the monies amount to take from my bank account 3 times in 7 days. They secretly change your policy monies without you having any knowledge as to why there are changes. Even the agent has told me 6 different changes and makes up ** as to why there were changes. He thinks you don't remember what was agreed between the conversation. I have emails of all the changes made differently in the matter of 10 days, then he makes up ** to cover it up. Please. Anyone that is considering using this company read the reviews. They are scammers. Not to be trusted. Even several banks are aware of their customers to block any funds being sent to Farmers Insurance. I research, I follow up and I read reviews. Do not use this insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have been a Farmers customer for a few years. I have been paying over $300 dollars monthly and every time I tried to filed a claim, I get all kind of excuses like, your deductible is too high, xyz product/s are not covered by your policy... When that was the reason why I got the insurance in the first place, beside that my monthly bill has been going up for a couple dollars every month, and I did not realize it until I checked my monthly statement. Since I have autopay I was not worried about it until my last claim I try to filed. I gave them about $4000 a year on auto insurance only, and they couldn't even cover stuff stolen from my vehicle. And as for the new glass on my vehicle obviously come out of my pocket. Overall very dissatisfied with this insurance company (Farmers auto insurance/Farmers insurance group).

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Would like to make a complaint against Farmers Insurance. Claim Number **. My car was damaged at a restaurant from a lawnmower throwing rocks and grass on the hood of my brand new Mercedes. The restaurant manager came out and told me that her employee was cutting grass and not paying attention to what he was doing and apologized and said she saw the damage and would file a claim with her insurance (Farmers Insurance) company and just kept saying she was sorry. After a couple of weeks of me calling the insurance company a Mrs. Katrina ** finally called me and said to go get a couple of estimates and send them to her. I did and they was around $1800.00 dollars. Farmers was not happy with the estimate so they hired an appraiser to come and look at my car since she was in Tennessee. He came and said it looked like it was all prior road rash.

So Farmers Insurance said they would offer me $750 for my troubles and then wanted me to file a claim with my insurance to get my car fixed. I did not do this because I didn't want my rates to increase. I had to pay the difference for this terrible company that beat me out of over $1000.00 dollars. Very rude and obnoxious lady. Katrina ** phone number is ** or **. I had to go ahead and accept the $750 to get my car fixed. But I felt that a bad remark should be filed against these folks. Insurance companies are giants that do as they please and just treat people how they like. TERRIBLE.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Tried to update my policy with a change of address online but doesn't have a option online to submit a address change. I've tried my Agent. Can never get ahold of him then tried the toll free number. Worse customer Service ever. Canceling my insurance with this company ASAP. Not even worth signing up for.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Received a quote from Farmers on insurance to replace my current policy, where the rate was going up excessively. In filling out their online form I was asked if I had any violations in the past 3 years. I answered yes, selected "minor violation", and went on. Farmers' initial quote was great; in line with other insurers. Then, when I went to activate the insurance they stated that I had a violation and my rate was actually 40% higher than what they had quoted. When I asked why they offered the initial quote, I discovered that they always operate this way, offering a quote without checking your driving record, then raising the price when they finally do! When I inquired as to why they had offered the quote at all instead of just saying that I needed to talk with an agent, they stated that "all insurers do this." Apparently, that makes it OK in their minds! Then they came back with an even higher rate a few days later!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

When I searched for Auto Insurance, I turned down State Farm again, they went from $800.00 per year to $1,300/year... Farmers told me, there is charged in (6) Months, and they wanted to withdraw my payment from my Checking... THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF AUTO INSURANCE WAS NEVER DISCLOSED, SO, I have paid over $1,000 to $1,300 this year; 2017. Now it's been 11 days since I canceled them on Sept 21st/17, and I think they're Holding out (Scammers) on my $335.00 Refund. I just learned they were deducting from my Checking $362.00 every three months, totaling = $1,448... I haven't checked in the Past Years, but this non-disclosure scam by Farmers has been going on for years now, making me pay $1,100 to $1,500 per year, against my word.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I see many reviews here showing Farmers as raising rates, not covering claims, etc... I had to write to share my experiences. I have had numerous claims with Farmers and have never had a negative experience. I've had Home and numerous auto claims. Yes, rates have gone up in the 15+ years I've been with them but not how some write. My current auto claim is regarding my 1998 Acura which I am totally at fault and am still having a positive experience. Farmers has always been attentive and helpful with each and every claim I have had. There may be times where I don't get a response same day, but has never been outrageous in time taken to get back to me.

In regards to my current claim, my auto shop where my work is being done, stated to me that in his many years of experience Farmers is by far the best insurance to deal with! I have had to take the responsibility to do some research on my own to get the value I feel is appropriate but I don't see that as out of the norm. ANY insurance customer should be doing their own research on value of their vehicle in a total-loss situation. If you expect any insurance company to give you top dollar for your vehicle, you are mislead or misinformed. We, as customers, have a responsibility to pay attention to all claims, adjustments, offers, terms and conditions, etc. Farmers has been a great company to work with and have to cover my home, life and auto policies.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day that they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents that don't raise your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky