Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Farmers Auto Insurance
2.34/5

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Farmers Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Farmers Auto Insurance has been really good so far. They always respond quickly, care about my issues, and work very reliably. Overall I feel very comfortable to have their insurance policy.

1. Road side assistant is awesome as everyone else agrees.
2. They care about the car accident reasonably. They cared about my inconvenience. Everything was very smooth. Towing, Renting, Body shop, Appraising, Claim compensation. Farmers cared so well, so it protected me from dramas (the other driver's insurance company bankrupted).
3. The agency (not Farmers itself) did a great job for consultation. They look carefully about the policy and suggest addition for my situation and let me know what I can save.

4. Some people say that Farmers is expensive, but I don't feel it's expensive since they do everything so reliable. I don't think other auto insurance company can provide same level of services with the same premium.

I highly recommend Farmers auto insurance from my experience. You'll get peace.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I started buying insurance with State Farm in 1965 with my first car. Somewhere in the mid seventies the fit just didn’t seem right; arguing with adjusters that desperately tried to pay a fraction of a legitimate claim with no help from my agent led me to shop around. On the recommendation of several friends I turned to Farmers where I found an agent that seemed to care about what kind of coverage I had and when I eventually did have to make a claim was helpful in guiding me through that process.

Over the past 40 years, (and several more claims), I have found Farmers to be an insurance company that has met my needs. My only problem has come from agents that either left the business, became so comfortable that their hobbies and past times surpassed their focus on customer care. The best agent I ever had passed away followed by another agent that was never available and I now have a professional and responsive agent that is available for all my questions and even initiates an annual review of my policies. So, finally, Farmers has been a very good company that has met my needs for over forty years. You just need to carefully choose your agent and not be afraid to shop until you find one that is a professional.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Auto insurance coverage is more than just the price. It is about risk and really being covered at time of loss. This requires advanced thought to how your policy functions. I asked hard questions over the years - agents have been unable to answer often without going to underwriting for advice. I cover risk items that often get overlooked in a typical quote. Farmers has been able to keep up with me and find answers for coverage concerns. Farmers customer service has been great. I have not had a claim yet in 5+ years. I question others about Farmers to get feedback before buying and only heard positive. My price is lower than I have been able to find with the leading companies out there.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I like Farmers Insurance. We have our house, car and motorcycle insured. But when they bill they usually fall about the same time and it is hard to pay all three of them. I wish they would spread them out and maybe combine the motorcycle and auto together. But other than that I like the service we receive. I would not consider switching unless we could get it cheaper. I looked around and they all are about what we are paying now. So I think we will stay with them for now.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Farmers was outstanding on a hail damage claim on our house and auto earlier this year. They worked extremely quickly and efficiently. Their adjusters on-ground and claims specialists over the phone were courteous, patient in explaining issues and making the whole experience as painless as possible during normally stressful times. Their auto adjuster Brad visited our house at 7.45 am to accommodate my 9.00 am office meeting! We are very grateful for it and continue to be happily with Farmers. Maybe other peoples' experiences are different in other states, but we have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Farmers to our friends and family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Carrie ** is a trash person. She And her manager Kara are liars stating a witness stated something they didn’t state, don’t show proof of anything they are stating. Don’t give proper amounts and don’t even know how to respect a person. Throughout the process they didn’t communicate with me about the case and then last day they are stating that I have to get a lawyer. They even have proof of medical injury and aren’t giving proper pain and suffering.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I recently was in an accident with a Farmers' client who backed into the SIDE of my car. She admitted 100% Fault to cop, me, witnesses. Farmers insurance is refusing to pay for my damages stating I am at fault b/c I should have SWERVED. This is absolutely ridiculous and wrong in so many ways. I will continue to share my horrible experience with everyone and SHARE SHARE SHARE on social media.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

All of our policies (House, 3 cars, liability) are with Farmers. We have had no claims, have excellent credit and have good driver records. We have also been with Farmers for 12+ years. We spend about $4.5k a year for all of our policies. All of a sudden, all of our policies reflect a 30% price increase due to "rating" changes. I will be moving to a different company especially since they are in the bottom 8 of ratings. Really unfortunate, they've lost a customer.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

If you total your car with Farmers YOU CANNOT EXPECT BOOK VALUE!!! They look for the same car for sale within a 100-mile radius of your location. In my case, I totaled a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L Hybrid. I had to drive two hours to buy this car originally. If they don't find that car, they just start making stuff up. Adjuster Raymond ** offered my $12,200 for my car - the cost of a 2012 Honda Accord (no hybrid) which was for sale in my area. The Kelley Blue Book value was between 14-17K. I sent him comps for this car with comps all on or around $15K. They refused to acknowledge that I could not buy the same car. If I wanted to, I would have to go further, and they should have looked further for the closest comps.

This is the most frustrating experience as I owned and meticulously maintained a Honda certified pre-owned vehicle which I had detailed twice a year and planned to pass onto my son. I have never totaled a car before. My agent, Tom **, who was supposed to advocate in my favor, was ineffective at getting me a fair price. Farmers Insurance sucks! I explained to them that I would cancel my homeowners and car insurance with them, but they felt it was worth this short-term gain that they would make now. They do not care about what's fair or about their clients. I was with All-State by the end of the day, but had to accept their ** offer, in the end. I received no calls back from their customer service even thought I tried to escalate. THEY DON'T CARE! To make matters worse, I work in the insurance industry and their job is to make people whole again. They failed miserably. STAY AWAY FROM FARMERS.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

These people will switch your account to Bristol West by telling you they no longer write insurance in your area. It's a scam, you can't get away from Bristol West without them trying to run your credit, they will keep charging you after they already sent you confirmation that you cancelled. They are shady and the TN Dept of Commerce and I'd had been notified. They should not be able to write insurance in any state.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day when they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents not your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky