Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Auto Insurance

4.0/5 (511 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers provides a variety of auto insurance plans, multiple discounts and special coverage options, including price cuts for combining your auto policy with another Farmers plan, e.g., home insurance. It also offers rideshare insurance options and Signal, a driver’s safety app.

Pros

• Special coverage options
  • Rideshare insurance
  • Several discounts

Cons

• No gap coverage
  • Some pricey rates

Bottom Line

Farmers offers comprehensive and collision insurance, as well as several add-ons. Its vast agent and customer service network helps to resolve claims quickly. The company provides several discounts, including for bundling policies.

Top Farmers Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Verified

Farmers have been very helpful when I needed to make a claim and have been the lowest priced provider that I have bought from. I have tried others and they were initially lower co...

Verified

Best insurance company ever, have always taken great care of my family, rates are always low, never any hassles with claims, great coverage for the policy on the house, cars and R...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Farmers auto insurance

Farmers is one of the largest insurance providers in the country. It lets you customize your auto insurance and has a large network of reliable customer service representatives to help file claims quickly. Farmers provides standard auto coverages, such as liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured or underinsured motorist policies, plus add-on insurance like personal injury protection.

Farmers auto insurance coverage

Farmers provides an array of additional coverage options:

• New car replacement: If you've put no more than 24,000 miles on your car and it gets totaled, Farmers will replace it.
  • Accident forgiveness: For every three years with a clean driving record, you won't have to pay for one at-fault collision.
  • Loss of use: If your car is out of commission, Farmers will pay for a rental or any necessary cabs or public transportation.
  • Customized equipment coverage: If you have both comprehensive and collision coverage, you can add this insurance to cover theft of or damages to special features like rims.
  • Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) coverage: If you have a fairly new car (from the past ten years), this coverage guarantees manufacturer parts for your vehicle after a covered accident.
  • Rideshare insurance: Often, rideshare companies’ insurance is limited and only kicks in if you have a passenger. This plan covers the gaps to ensure you're always covered.

Farmers auto insurance quotes and costs

Like with most auto insurance, Farmers’ auto quotes and costs are based on several key factors, like car year and driver’s age and driving record. For a 35-year-old with a clean record, the annual premium should be around $1,098. Though this is a bit pricey, Farmers also offers many discounts, including:

• Good driver
  • Homeowners
  • Teen driver
  • Good student
  • Bundled coverage

Farmers also has a program, Signal, that monitors your driving through an app. Once you sign up and complete ten trips with Signal monitoring, you'll receive a 5% policy discount, and next time your policy renews you can earn discounts of 15% or more based on your driving score.

Farmers auto insurance FAQ

How good is Farmers’ auto insurance?
Farmers is a solid auto insurance company. It offers comprehensive coverage and custom add-ons ideal for many drivers.
Does Farmers offer gap insurance?
No, Farmers does not offer gap insurance.
Does Farmers have comprehensive car coverage plans?
Yes, Farmers offers comprehensive coverage plans.
Where is Farmers car insurance available?
Farmers’ auto insurance is available in all 50 states.

Is Farmers good insurance?

Yes, Farmers’ auto insurance provides solid coverage for drivers with a variety of needs. We recommend Farmers if you're looking for customizable auto insurance with several optional coverages.

Farmers Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: April 30, 2022

I had a damage to my wheel and ruptured tire from a big metal object on the highway. I was told by the customer service, it is covered under comprehensive coverage but their adjuster refused to list it as a comprehensive coverage and insisted that it is a collision so I would pay a higher deductible and asked me if I would still like to file the claim or fix it on my own even I already filed a claim and it is already reported as a claim. Even with that, she runs me through circles with appraisals and other obstacles to get my car fixed. 2 weeks later, my car is not fixed or approved to be fixed. Worst claims and payouts. I pay them more than $6000 a year for different cars and I get nothing when I need them.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

MetLife recently sold their Auto/home/renters/umbrella business to Farmers Insurance. As with most businesses you get a salesperson immediately, but you will wait for 30+ minutes to get a customer service person and often get hung up on and have to wait another 30 minutes or multiple times. Customer service agents are not empowered to help customers and commonly give excuses and empty promises.

My renewals are due in 9 days. I've been calling for three weeks asking for new policies. I can't talk to a new policy salesperson since I have existing policies. I've been told multiple times that something would be done to expedite the policies. Since you can get a new policy normally in a few minutes, I'm not sure what Farmers' problem is other than they are having some massive IT issues because of the transition.

Toward the end, MetLife went downhill probably because they knew they were selling off the business and they hacked customer service. Farmers has not improved the situation, if anything, it has gotten much worse. I can't speak about claims because I haven't had any; however, they have had competitive rates through my wife's employer. Looking at some of the posts on this website and I wonder if I will be satisfied if we ever have a claim. Sales are driven by commission so nobody wants to help if they aren't making a buck and that includes local agents. I hope Farmers at some point distributes us to local agents and disbands this excuse they call on-line customer service for what were MetLife customers.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I had Farmers and decided to leave them because the lack of communication from my agent Neyla **. When it was time to renew my policy she would not respond to text, email or phone calls for weeks on end. When she did respond she always had an excuse of a family matter and then never respond after that. Communication is key and she has a terrible way of showing her appreciation or communication with customers. Once she gets you to sign up with Farmers, she no longer has any regard for assisting you further. Shame on her, she is why I will never use Farmers Insurance again.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

This company is great! I switched from State Farm. Every 6 months Farmer's calls or emails me to ask questions to see if they can lower my rates, which they have done! I now consolidated and have home insurance as well as car insurance with them. They actually do respond to calls to answer any questions. I would recommend this company.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Farmers has been good when it comes to working with my budget. Horrible when it comes to follow-up though. I updated my policy and asked what my new amount due and due date will be and was told I’d get a call within 24-48 hours from my rep. It’s been almost 4 weeks and I’ve called a handful of times to no avail. One of my reps employees, the one I speak with mainly, texted me asking if I was interested in their life insurance programs. Couldn’t even provide me with info for what I currently have in place and now you want to upsell me? Yeah right.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I was extremely disappointed with my rental car options. I purchased a specific class of vehicle because I require a certain level of comfort and feel the insurance company should consider that when authorizing a rental car during repair downtime! Hopefully this review will encourage not only Farmers but other insurance providers also to better service individuals.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Farmers Insurance terrible, terrible customer support.. Holding the line forever... Why we have to deal with these idiot companies...? Worst is they claim they are 1st in customer satisfaction.. Need to shoot them in the hip and kick them out to the dark forever..

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I previously had Farmers Insurance in Southern CA for my homeowner coverage and never had a problem. In moving to Virginia, I went with Farmers for my auto insurance as they offered what appeared to be a reasonable rate. So I didn't spend a lot of time shopping the coverage. After a week, they raised the premium slightly because I was living in 'temporary housing'. That was a "minor" increase - no big deal. In early July, Farmers' again increased the premium - this time over $132 because my new house wasn't finished and they had quoted the coverage thinking they would also write my homeowner coverage. That was never stated or requested by me.

The local agent said that half of the increase would be refunded when I moved into the house. WRONG. Even prorated, they should have refunded around $40. I got a huge $13. I was not happy and spent 2 days really shopping my coverage. I found I could get better coverage at a lower total annual premium from Hartford. So I cancelled. And again, Farmers isn't refunding all that is due. But it's not worth my time to go after the extra $25! Be very careful in dealing with auto coverage with this company!!!!

Original review: July 6, 2021

Farmers Insurance is not a good company. I hit an animal while driving but my comprehensive coverage not paying a penny, I have 3 cars and 3 homes insured by farmers insurance. I can't wait to switch to a decent insurance company.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Their insured client Derrick ** hit my car while it was parked in a parking space. They towed my car to the repair shop Gerber Collision, and repaired my car. The Auto Supervisor, Joni ** left me a vm that that they would not pay tow my car back to my home. After speaking her and stating that I should not have to come out of pocket for any cost relating to their client's negligence, Joni then offered to split the difference of the two. Still I refused to pay any cost out of pocket for their client's negligence. I am escalating this case.

Farmers Auto Insurance Company Information