2. Automotive
Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Auto Insurance

4.1/5 (1327 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers provides a variety of auto insurance plans, multiple discounts and special coverage options, including price cuts for combining your auto policy with another Farmers plan, e.g., home insurance. It also offers rideshare insurance options and Signal, a driver’s safety app.

Pros

• Special coverage options
  • Rideshare insurance
  • Several discounts

Cons

• No gap coverage
  • Some pricey rates

Bottom Line

Farmers offers comprehensive and collision insurance, as well as several add-ons. Its vast agent and customer service network helps to resolve claims quickly. The company provides several discounts, including for bundling policies.

Top Farmers Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Verified

Farmers have been very helpful when I needed to make a claim and have been the lowest priced provider that I have bought from. I have tried others and they were initially lower co...

Verified

Best insurance company ever, have always taken great care of my family, rates are always low, never any hassles with claims, great coverage for the policy on the house, cars and R...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Farmers auto insurance

Farmers is one of the largest insurance providers in the country. It lets you customize your auto insurance and has a large network of reliable customer service representatives to help file claims quickly. Farmers provides standard auto coverages, such as liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured or underinsured motorist policies, plus add-on insurance like personal injury protection.

Farmers auto insurance coverage

Farmers provides an array of additional coverage options:

• New car replacement: If you've put no more than 24,000 miles on your car and it gets totaled, Farmers will replace it.
  • Accident forgiveness: For every three years with a clean driving record, you won't have to pay for one at-fault collision.
  • Loss of use: If your car is out of commission, Farmers will pay for a rental or any necessary cabs or public transportation.
  • Customized equipment coverage: If you have both comprehensive and collision coverage, you can add this insurance to cover theft of or damages to special features like rims.
  • Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) coverage: If you have a fairly new car (from the past ten years), this coverage guarantees manufacturer parts for your vehicle after a covered accident.
  • Rideshare insurance: Often, rideshare companies’ insurance is limited and only kicks in if you have a passenger. This plan covers the gaps to ensure you're always covered.

Farmers auto insurance quotes and costs

Like with most auto insurance, Farmers’ auto quotes and costs are based on several key factors, like car year and driver’s age and driving record. For a 35-year-old with a clean record, the annual premium should be around $1,098. Though this is a bit pricey, Farmers also offers many discounts, including:

• Good driver
  • Homeowners
  • Teen driver
  • Good student
  • Bundled coverage

Farmers also has a program, Signal, that monitors your driving through an app. Once you sign up and complete ten trips with Signal monitoring, you'll receive a 5% policy discount, and next time your policy renews you can earn discounts of 15% or more based on your driving score.

Farmers auto insurance FAQ

How good is Farmers’ auto insurance?
Farmers is a solid auto insurance company. It offers comprehensive coverage and custom add-ons ideal for many drivers.
Does Farmers offer gap insurance?
No, Farmers does not offer gap insurance.
Does Farmers have comprehensive car coverage plans?
Yes, Farmers offers comprehensive coverage plans.
Where is Farmers car insurance available?
Farmers’ auto insurance is available in all 50 states.

Is Farmers good insurance?

Yes, Farmers’ auto insurance provides solid coverage for drivers with a variety of needs. We recommend Farmers if you're looking for customizable auto insurance with several optional coverages.

Farmers Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I was extremely disappointed with my rental car options. I purchased a specific class of vehicle because I require a certain level of comfort and feel the insurance company should consider that when authorizing a rental car during repair downtime! Hopefully this review will encourage not only Farmers but other insurance providers also to better service individuals.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Farmers Insurance terrible, terrible customer support.. Holding the line forever... Why we have to deal with these idiot companies...? Worst is they claim they are 1st in customer satisfaction.. Need to shoot them in the hip and kick them out to the dark forever..

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I previously had Farmers Insurance in Southern CA for my homeowner coverage and never had a problem. In moving to Virginia, I went with Farmers for my auto insurance as they offered what appeared to be a reasonable rate. So I didn't spend a lot of time shopping the coverage. After a week, they raised the premium slightly because I was living in 'temporary housing'. That was a "minor" increase - no big deal. In early July, Farmers' again increased the premium - this time over $132 because my new house wasn't finished and they had quoted the coverage thinking they would also write my homeowner coverage. That was never stated or requested by me.

The local agent said that half of the increase would be refunded when I moved into the house. WRONG. Even prorated, they should have refunded around $40. I got a huge $13. I was not happy and spent 2 days really shopping my coverage. I found I could get better coverage at a lower total annual premium from Hartford. So I cancelled. And again, Farmers isn't refunding all that is due. But it's not worth my time to go after the extra $25! Be very careful in dealing with auto coverage with this company!!!!

Original review: July 6, 2021

Farmers Insurance is not a good company. I hit an animal while driving but my comprehensive coverage not paying a penny, I have 3 cars and 3 homes insured by farmers insurance. I can't wait to switch to a decent insurance company.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Their insured client Derrick ** hit my car while it was parked in a parking space. They towed my car to the repair shop Gerber Collision, and repaired my car. The Auto Supervisor, Joni ** left me a vm that that they would not pay tow my car back to my home. After speaking her and stating that I should not have to come out of pocket for any cost relating to their client's negligence, Joni then offered to split the difference of the two. Still I refused to pay any cost out of pocket for their client's negligence. I am escalating this case.

Original review: April 13, 2021

On April 6, 2021 I received a call from a claims adjuster at Farmers tell me a claim had been filed against an insurance policy I no longer have for an accident involving my 2018 pickup on April 1st. I knew that was false because my truck was not driven on April1st. Finally after a stressful week Farmers admitted they transposed two numbers and came up with wrong policy for the claim. Why did it take a week for me to find that out?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

Senior as passenger in car in accident. Car had no insurance. I had uninsured motorist ins. with Farmers. I was severely injured and needed an operation, had concussion, back and neck injuries and hearing injuries. This was in 2017 and still Farmers will not cooperate. Have over $200k coverage that they refuse to pay. Hired a lawyer and they won't meet with him either. They cancelled four scheduled meetings in a row. They never made an offer or paid a penny for my medical. Had to see a physical therapist for 2 years ... still not a dime from Farmers.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

It may have taken awhile and I only needed it for a key lock situation, other than that I can't complain, it took the person over 3 hours to come to the rescue, but it was very quick and painless, if I ever get in a situation like that again, it's good to know its available.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Bud ** is my agent. He's been great. I have his work phone number and that's all I need really. I've enjoyed working with Bud, he sends me everything I need. I trust Bud, everything I need he sends me. I have developed a relationship with Bud, his real name is Delmar. He works out of Jackson, WI 53037. Use the app from Farmers Insurance which is a drive safe app. My policy expires in June of 2021. I plan on renewing for every year in the near future. I have enjoyed working with Farmers. Bud, visited my old house in Darien, WI. I now live in Lake Geneva. I live in a condo. I would invite him here also. Bud is a good person. I have enjoyed working with him. I plan on continuing working with Bud and Farmers Insurance. Bud will be my agent for as long as I can see. I would love to continue to work with Bud and Farmers insurance for years to come.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I signed on with this company on the recommendation of my mortgage broker. After being with the company for two years, they dropped my car from my auto insurance policy because I had requested a battery start and a tow. By the way, the tow truck that the company dispatched never showed up, yet it still counted against me. The following year, my rates increased. I inquired with my agent as to why this happened. He told me that it was probably because I fell into on the categories. When I asked him which category I fell into, he said he did not know for sure.

I tried asking someone in the corporate office the same question. Their only response was an email that stated "this matter has been resolved". What does that mean? I continue to pay the increased rate, but I don't feel that the high price far outweighs the benefits. Ironically, they somehow find the money to host gatherings of high profile political representatives in major cities on a regular basis. Is this where my money is going?

Farmers Auto Insurance Company Information