Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.22/5

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Farmers Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Farmers Auto Insurance has been really good so far. They always respond quickly, care about my issues, and work very reliably. Overall I feel very comfortable to have their insurance policy.

1. Road side assistant is awesome as everyone else agrees.
2. They care about the car accident reasonably. They cared about my inconvenience. Everything was very smooth. Towing, Renting, Body shop, Appraising, Claim compensation. Farmers cared so well, so it protected me from dramas (the other driver's insurance company bankrupted).
3. The agency (not Farmers itself) did a great job for consultation. They look carefully about the policy and suggest addition for my situation and let me know what I can save.

4. Some people say that Farmers is expensive, but I don't feel it's expensive since they do everything so reliable. I don't think other auto insurance company can provide same level of services with the same premium.

I highly recommend Farmers auto insurance from my experience. You'll get peace.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I started buying insurance with State Farm in 1965 with my first car. Somewhere in the mid seventies the fit just didn’t seem right; arguing with adjusters that desperately tried to pay a fraction of a legitimate claim with no help from my agent led me to shop around. On the recommendation of several friends I turned to Farmers where I found an agent that seemed to care about what kind of coverage I had and when I eventually did have to make a claim was helpful in guiding me through that process.

Over the past 40 years, (and several more claims), I have found Farmers to be an insurance company that has met my needs. My only problem has come from agents that either left the business, became so comfortable that their hobbies and past times surpassed their focus on customer care. The best agent I ever had passed away followed by another agent that was never available and I now have a professional and responsive agent that is available for all my questions and even initiates an annual review of my policies. So, finally, Farmers has been a very good company that has met my needs for over forty years. You just need to carefully choose your agent and not be afraid to shop until you find one that is a professional.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Auto insurance coverage is more than just the price. It is about risk and really being covered at time of loss. This requires advanced thought to how your policy functions. I asked hard questions over the years - agents have been unable to answer often without going to underwriting for advice. I cover risk items that often get overlooked in a typical quote. Farmers has been able to keep up with me and find answers for coverage concerns. Farmers customer service has been great. I have not had a claim yet in 5+ years. I question others about Farmers to get feedback before buying and only heard positive. My price is lower than I have been able to find with the leading companies out there.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I like Farmers Insurance. We have our house, car and motorcycle insured. But when they bill they usually fall about the same time and it is hard to pay all three of them. I wish they would spread them out and maybe combine the motorcycle and auto together. But other than that I like the service we receive. I would not consider switching unless we could get it cheaper. I looked around and they all are about what we are paying now. So I think we will stay with them for now.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Farmers was outstanding on a hail damage claim on our house and auto earlier this year. They worked extremely quickly and efficiently. Their adjusters on-ground and claims specialists over the phone were courteous, patient in explaining issues and making the whole experience as painless as possible during normally stressful times. Their auto adjuster Brad visited our house at 7.45 am to accommodate my 9.00 am office meeting! We are very grateful for it and continue to be happily with Farmers. Maybe other peoples' experiences are different in other states, but we have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Farmers to our friends and family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have been in a car accident mid November 2019, it took forever to get someone to inspect the vehicle at the bodyshop when they asked for supplement. After which they said my car was a total loss but it needed only cosmetic repair. First they gave me such a small amount that I couldn't buy anything similar to my car, I hired an independent appraiser and got a bit more out of them few days ago (2 month process).

They refused to give me any extra money for dealership doc fees (usually $700), stating they are not obligated to give me that and that I don't need to purchase same vehicle at the dealer but can use private sellers (so I should purchase something that was in few crashes I don't know about) or that I should negotiate with a dealer not to charge me that. Not to mention that first they didn't want to give me full 30 day car rental but since they prolonged this agony they agreed to give me 30 days. I still don't have a new car. I will never use Farmers again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I got into a wreck almost 5 months ago, my car was completely stopped at a stop sign, I was standing a little further than the indicated white line. Car X was in the right lane with right blinker on indicating the turn I was standing at. Instead of making a right he decided to run right into my car. His insurance (Geico) called and said they wouldn't cover me or the claim within one week. My insurance Farmers just called in 5 months later to tell me it was my fault, and they will cover his claim. Agent told me she asked for body cam footage and they denied it, which I don't think the police officer can deny the footage. All a lie, insurance did not support me or my accident but they took his side and blamed me for standing on the street.

Scenario in simple words: Car at a complete stop for over a minute, other driver was not paying attention, did not brake or change lanes to avoid the accident. But Insurance still blames the completely stopped car for the accident instead of fighting for it. And that to 5 months later. Farmers insurance, piece of crap, the agent didn't give a ** or fight on my behalf. I have all my family's 5 peoples insurance with them, home and auto. But I will take this business somewhere else if they do not fix this issue for me.

I strongly agree I was standing further than the indicated white line, but I also believe that the other car should have braked or changed lanes to avoid the accident. By this incident, farmers is telling me it is okay for me to run into a car standing on the road with emergency light on since it is my right of way. Thank You farmers, I will keep that in my mind!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

This was my first time using roadside assistance with Farmers. I need a tire change. When I called the representative was quick, informative and polite. The roadside assistance arrived at my vehicle within minutes. They arrived in their personal small size SUV with tools in their hatchback. Soon as they walked up, they just started taking pictures of my lug nuts and VIN number of my vehicle. not a hello or explain what they were doing.

He stated he did not have the correct size lug nut wrench to remove my tire. He asked to see my lug nut wrench, so he could take a picture of the one I have to show farmers that it didn't fit. He did not take a picture with his tools to show they were not the proper fit either. I had to ask him what he was doing, no explanation. He put no effort into changing my tire. Seems to me he was trying to make a quick buck by getting out of his car taking the pictures to send Farmers like that was the best he could do. I had to pay someone that had to change the tire and they did in less than 15 minutes.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

A Farmers Insurance customer drove through the wall of my guest house and ended up in the kitchen. Farmers was quick and sent their appraiser within a few days. The quote from their appraiser was fair and they offered me half what their own appraiser said it would cost. They said they weren't going to upgrade my guest house. I said there is no upgrade, but it needs a new wall. They said, and I quote, "You'll have a new wall, that's an upgrade." What the hell? My insurance company finally had to pay the other half and sue Farmers for the rest, which they then paid. Why couldn't they just do what's right and fix the wall in the first place? I will never use or recommend Farmers Insurance. They're scum.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Auto insurance reported a claim under my information that I didn’t know about. I have never had an accident and never filed a claim. They report to CLUE which is also connected to LexisNexis. They act like a credit reporting for auto and homeowners insurance. Punishing hard working INSURED customers because they are too lazy to make those that are uninsured pay their dues. Take it out of our taxes just like medical insurance so everybody has authority or a “vote” to make the system more fair. It’s very difficult and time consuming to get the information from this LexisNexis. Then you have to separately file a dispute over the phone that you can’t even view. No online process and they try and get your social security number over the phone but you really don’t know who you are talking to. I had never even heard of LexisNexis.

Not sure about Farmers Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day when they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents not your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor