Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
Farmers Auto Insurance
2.35/5

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

489 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I started buying insurance with State Farm in 1965 with my first car. Somewhere in the mid seventies the fit just didn’t seem right; arguing with adjusters that desperately tried to pay a fraction of a legitimate claim with no help from my agent led me to shop around. On the recommendation of several friends I turned to Farmers where I found an agent that seemed to care about what kind of coverage I had and when I eventually did have to make a claim was helpful in guiding me through that process.

Over the past 40 years, (and several more claims), I have found Farmers to be an insurance company that has met my needs. My only problem has come from agents that either left the business, became so comfortable that their hobbies and past times surpassed their focus on customer care. The best agent I ever had passed away followed by another agent that was never available and I now have a professional and responsive agent that is available for all my questions and even initiates an annual review of my policies. So, finally, Farmers has been a very good company that has met my needs for over forty years. You just need to carefully choose your agent and not be afraid to shop until you find one that is a professional.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Auto insurance coverage is more than just the price. It is about risk and really being covered at time of loss. This requires advanced thought to how your policy functions. I asked hard questions over the years - agents have been unable to answer often without going to underwriting for advice. I cover risk items that often get overlooked in a typical quote. Farmers has been able to keep up with me and find answers for coverage concerns. Farmers customer service has been great. I have not had a claim yet in 5+ years. I question others about Farmers to get feedback before buying and only heard positive. My price is lower than I have been able to find with the leading companies out there.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Farmers was outstanding on a hail damage claim on our house and auto earlier this year. They worked extremely quickly and efficiently. Their adjusters on-ground and claims specialists over the phone were courteous, patient in explaining issues and making the whole experience as painless as possible during normally stressful times. Their auto adjuster Brad visited our house at 7.45 am to accommodate my 9.00 am office meeting! We are very grateful for it and continue to be happily with Farmers. Maybe other peoples' experiences are different in other states, but we have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Farmers to our friends and family.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance has been good for me overall. It is a good value for the price, and it provides various types of coverage to fit my needs. I've tried a few other insurance companies, and Farmers has been the best of those that I've tried. But, the claims processing was a little stressful and could have been simpler and less stressful, albeit this could have been just the result of a stressful accident situation. Whenever I have needed to talk to them to change coverage or whenever I had a question, the customer service representative were always very friendly and very helpful. They were professional and courteous.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I really like my insurance company. Farmers Auto Insurance has never done anything wrong anytime I have ever called them for anything. There have been times when I needed to call and get a statement sent again or any time I have a question for them and the clerks have always been really nice and helpful over the phone. They have been prompt with dealing with my issues and been great with explaining things to me about my account. They are also very very considerate with anything that I need. Even the one time that my payment was a month late and they told me "No issues!" on the payment being late and marked it as paid and just told me to pay the next month. I love them!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

If you total your car with Farmers YOU CANNOT EXPECT BOOK VALUE!!! They look for the same car for sale within a 100-mile radius of your location. In my case, I totaled a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L Hybrid. I had to drive two hours to buy this car originally. If they don't find that car, they just start making stuff up. Adjuster Raymond ** offered my $12,200 for my car - the cost of a 2012 Honda Accord (no hybrid) which was for sale in my area. The Kelley Blue Book value was between 14-17K. I sent him comps for this car with comps all on or around $15K. They refused to acknowledge that I could not buy the same car. If I wanted to, I would have to go further, and they should have looked further for the closest comps.

This is the most frustrating experience as I owned and meticulously maintained a Honda certified pre-owned vehicle which I had detailed twice a year and planned to pass onto my son. I have never totaled a car before. My agent, Tom **, who was supposed to advocate in my favor, was ineffective at getting me a fair price. Farmers Insurance sucks! I explained to them that I would cancel my homeowners and car insurance with them, but they felt it was worth this short-term gain that they would make now. They do not care about what's fair or about their clients. I was with All-State by the end of the day, but had to accept their ** offer, in the end. I received no calls back from their customer service even thought I tried to escalate. THEY DON'T CARE! To make matters worse, I work in the insurance industry and their job is to make people whole again. They failed miserably. STAY AWAY FROM FARMERS.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

These people will switch your account to Bristol West by telling you they no longer write insurance in your area. It's a scam, you can't get away from Bristol West without them trying to run your credit, they will keep charging you after they already sent you confirmation that you cancelled. They are shady and the TN Dept of Commerce and I'd had been notified. They should not be able to write insurance in any state.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I believe their rates are higher than they should be. Not just on auto insurance, but homeowner’s also, especially with $1.000 deductible. I’m am ready to switch. Maybe if they didn’t spend so much with their corny commercials, they could lower the premiums.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

Been with Farmers for about 20 years. Periodically I check to see if I'm getting the best deal. Have had NO tickets for longer than the 20 years and in a senior a no accident in 20+ years and a disabled veteran.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

MOTORCYCLE OWNERS, STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! I have had insurance with Farmers for my truck and they provide exceptional service so I added on MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE. I have paid my dues for this “Full Coverage Insurance” monthly thinking I have “peace of mind” if I need any type of service they offer. WRONG. SUPER WRONG. DEAD WRONG.

Last night (9/5/2019), my motorcycle failed on me on a freeway. I called for roadside assistance at 10PM, they did not arrive until 12AM! Mind you from 10 to 12, I was frustrated and trying to figure out what the ** is going on because they couldn’t secure a TOW for me. Dispatchers kept saying “Sorry sir, we are trying to find someone who is equipped to handle the situation”. WHAT THE **? That should already be available or at least they should already have tows lined up ready to call. They instead was shuffling through different cities trying to find me assistance. My hazards have been on for more than an hour so the battery had died. So I was stuck on a 65-75 mph freeway with vehicles not being able to see me while I wait hours for assistance from FARMERS. In 3 hours, I had gotten more help from people stopping by asking if I need help? Rather than getting it from the damn company that I am paying.

Finally they “found” me some help and dispatched a tow for me and the TOW didn’t arrive until 12AM. I didn’t get safely home until almost 1AM. THE MOTORCYCLE INSURANCE IS A DAMN FRAUD. I will need roadside assistance peace of mind more than any other service you offer and FARMERS has failed at that. Your chances of receiving assistance are better with another company. This pisses me off to think I been paying monthly for this type of ** service. IT DOESN’T END THERE. The following morning I email my agent to talk about the situation so she has a SUPERVISOR call me (9/6/19). The supervisor does nothing but tell me that “Specialty vehicles do take upwards of at least 3 hours for assistance”. I call that BS.

I’m sorry but I don’t think “motorcycle” fits the specialty vehicle category. FARMERS INSURANCE are advertising that they can provide the roadside assistance service for motorcycles then will fall-back on “Sorry that is a specialty vehicle so you may wait 3HOURS for help to arrive”. Bottom line is they are charging for service which they CANNOT provide in a timely manner. I tell her I could’ve had help much sooner if I’d start making calls immediately. Her response: “Yes, if you’re paying in cash”. Again, WTF? What kind of stupid response is that? Am I not paying FARMERS monthly for the service?! Are you not receiving cash from me? So I suppose I am paying monthly in flowers then?

All that told me was; indeed you can get help quicker if you called at 10PM instead of relying on the service you’re paying for monthly. Now I will no longer renew my truck insurance with them. I was loyal to them until this. I am warning MOTORCYCLE OWNERS to stay away from this company if you need insurance because when you actually need some roadside assistance, they operate with their heads cut off. They cannot provide it. You will be stuck helplessly while FARMERS is fishing around looking for help.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day when they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents not your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky