Farmers Auto Insurance
2.18/5
  • 1 star
Based on 63 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Farmers Auto Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 28, 2017

370 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

First of all they lure you in with a lower premium and six months later it increases significantly for no reason (no claims, no tickets, no accidents). When I purchased my coverage for my home my agent convinced me to buy a rider coverage for sewer and water line coverage and he stated it would cover the repair of a break. Wrong... an extra $120 a year and it will only cover repairs caused during repair not the repair itself... which I very clearly asked if it covered the lines themselves.

Ok life goes on but I’m going to remove this coverage, then my auto renewal comes in the mail and they are increasing my premiums $30 a month... why??? My vehicles are older and I have made no claims?? I decided it was time to shop around. Found new coverage. Cancelled my policy. Paid $255 on December 10th cancelled on December 18th. They only refunded me $128 rollers... does that seem right. Over half of my monthly premium for 10 days. Called them and they are unreasonable and plain out rip off artists. If you need Insurance for home or auto I would stay away from Farmers.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have both home and auto. I have been constantly hammered with rate increases. This last one 30%. Has been this way since I first got their insurance in 2011. I have a perfect driving record. As far as auto goes Progressive and AARP Hartford are your best bets. Every other name brand company was higher.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I was involved in an accident where a truck backed into me in a store parking lot. Farmers said we were both at fault because we were both backing up even though he backed into my driver's side. Turns out we both had Farmers. His truck didn't even have a scratch on it. 2 months later I get a renewal offer raising my rate $600 for the year. I tried to argue it with the adjuster but to no avail.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Farmers Insurance has made a media splash by highlighting the unusual stuff they cover and pay. Unfortunately, they go to great lengths NOT to cover and the standard claims. Their insured was clearly liable for damage to my BMW, but after 4 weeks of putting me off ("We have to get ahold of our insured, we have to review the policy," etc), the company informed me that the U-Haul vehicle their insured was driving didn't "qualify as an insured vehicle." WHAT??? I was advised to contact U-Haul (right!). I contacted my insurance company who immediately took care of the damage. Just a heads up to persons insured by Farmers: don't drive a U-Haul and check your policy to see what you're insured for!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Ok! I was involved in an accident in Oct 14th, 2017. It was my fault. However, I do have full coverage policy and my 17 Wrangler was determined total loss by Farmers. They took the vehicle to determine the value of it and had mailed me all of the paperwork to fill out. I did my part and sent it back. They had update the value of the vehicle but still wanting to have it appraise because they refused to pay me what I was paying for. I just bought the vehicle in May of this year for around $40k plus tax about little less than $43k. They offered to pay me for total of $37968.94. That is fine... but until today's date no check or they had not done much to get it settle.

Phone call after phone call. It's either they forgot to update their record saying I didn't send back the paperwork then they had all of the paperwork but still waiting on something else... Farmers is not anywhere like used to be... almost two months after the accident, I had provided them with all receipt from the dealership and still not paying me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I was recently involved in a minor accident with a driver insured by Farmers Insurance over the busy Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Filed a claim through Farmers the following Monday, after speaking to their insured they claimed liability and I was told to take it to their body shop for an estimate which I did but I was scheduled for repair week later because they are too busy.

Meanwhile, their rent a car company Enterprise was asking me when will I pick up the Toyota Corolla that Farmer's reserved for me? I was driving a brand new Grand Cherokee and I politely requested a similar vehicle due to safety concerns and that I was driving my truck with the whole family in it. Enterprise said that Farmers Insurance only allotted $22/day for the rent a car so that pretty much limits me to miniature cars and rules out any comparable SUVs. I knew then, something is wrong but they probably thought I was stupid.

After exhausting all efforts, I realized that is not even worth my time dealing with this loss. I declined the rental car and told them to forget about it. I then requested just pay for the damages, issue the check directly to me so I can get it fixed at another shop who can do it within the time frame I needed and hopefully be done with it. The law states that I can have my car fixed anywhere I like. But they went on and on about lifetime warranty and it's gonna take the same amount of time etc.

This is when it got interesting. I then received a call from Farmers Insurance that the shop who did the estimate already purchased the parts for my car (less than 24 hrs from the estimate) and that she is trying to persuade me on getting it fixed there. How was it possible to have the parts ordered when they didn't even have the approval on the estimate they provided. In addition, they weren't expecting the car for at least another week? When I spoke to my adjuster, she said she didn't have the estimate yet. Therefore, any approval for any repair is not possible.

I knew my rights and I demanded that they at least pay me the repair cost. I'm already irritated at this point. Basically, I'm being told take the mini car rental and let their body shop repair my truck for however long it takes or else it may take longer for them to issue the check to me. I'm already saving them money on one week rental car because I just happen to have 3 other cars parked in my driveway available for me to use. I guess they were trying to stiff me with some sort of imaginary restocking fee so their check will be smaller.

Now with all these being said, they finally agreed to process the repair check directly to me but now they need to contact their body shop for the estimate. I told them I already have the estimate that the body shop provided and I can send it to them. Then I was told that they still need additional information from the body shop??? What information do they still need? I guess this is where the running around begins.

When I get tired of this, I will file this with my good insurance company State Farm and just pay for the deductible call it a lesson in life and to know that an insurance company can easily screw you and will get away with it. I may file a complaint with the Department of Insurance in the state of Florida and give them the reviews they deserve in all forums I can find.

This is a very small claim, this company is trying too hard to make the claim process inconvenient to the claimant. Thank God I'm not insured by this company but I hope drivers insured by this company Farmers Insurance should put a sticker on their cars so we can keep a good distance. At the end of it, I'm not at fault with this accident but I used 2 days of my vacation dealing with the mess. I'll probably be driving a damage brand new car for weeks and I feel like my only recourse is to spend more money and hire an attorney and sue.

Do the math, what I spent on this is more than my claim already. The only thing I can be thankful for these days with bad and careless drivers is that I can afford a safe SUV and all of us in it are safe. It cost me money and time and they are still trying to stiff me with my small claim??? I wonder if it is a big claim? Someone from this company is probably sitting behind a desk and laughing their asses off at my expense. Stay safe out there!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have been a customer for several years. One day I went to my car and noticed that my windshield was cracked. I called Farmers and it was taken care of very quickly and easily. The staff at my Farmers Insurance office is very friendly and helpful in finding reduced rates for me and my husband. One of the clerks there suggested that my husband and I sign up for the senior driving course and that would lower our insurance rates. I have only had one or two claims, but they are very fast, courteous, and helpful in helping me with the paperwork and sending someone over to fix my windshield.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I called Farmers Auto Insurance to start home policy in a hurry, and Dawn was right there to see that I got what I needed for our new home, along with our car. the first experience was stress relieving and kind, she covered all aspects and provided documents fast. Their service was courteous, complete, and valued. Thanks again Farmers.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

With two cars and a home, insurance companies that can give you discounts for multiple items is the way to go. Farmers has always done a good job of handling our policies and smoothly handling all changes. I contact my agent and other than interacting with a service/repair organization, I usually do not need to make any other contact. Our agent is great and has been for many years. Overall, though a good insurance company, I do not think they stand out enough compared to any other insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

Farmers Auto Insurance instantly had answers to my questions. I have several vehicles insured with them. I only had 4 claims within the last 10 years and all claims were handled very professionally and to my satisfaction. They were very polite and very quick. Never a challenge.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

The rates for Farmers Auto Insurance are very competitive and the staff are always very friendly and helpful with any questions I have. They also return phone calls promptly with any information I have ever needed.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have experienced them to change the monies amount to take from my bank account 3 times in 7 days. They secretly change your policy monies without you having any knowledge as to why there are changes. Even the agent has told me 6 different changes and makes up ** as to why there were changes. He thinks you don't remember what was agreed between the conversation. I have emails of all the changes made differently in the matter of 10 days, then he makes up ** to cover it up. Please. Anyone that is considering using this company read the reviews. They are scammers. Not to be trusted. Even several banks are aware of their customers to block any funds being sent to Farmers Insurance. I research, I follow up and I read reviews. Do not use this insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have been a Farmers customer for a few years. I have been paying over $300 dollars monthly and every time I tried to filed a claim, I get all kind of excuses like, your deductible is too high, xyz product/s are not covered by your policy... When that was the reason why I got the insurance in the first place, beside that my monthly bill has been going up for a couple dollars every month, and I did not realize it until I checked my monthly statement. Since I have autopay I was not worried about it until my last claim I try to filed. I gave them about $4000 a year on auto insurance only, and they couldn't even cover stuff stolen from my vehicle. And as for the new glass on my vehicle obviously come out of my pocket. Overall very dissatisfied with this insurance company (Farmers auto insurance/Farmers insurance group).

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Would like to make a complaint against Farmers Insurance. Claim Number **. My car was damaged at a restaurant from a lawnmower throwing rocks and grass on the hood of my brand new Mercedes. The restaurant manager came out and told me that her employee was cutting grass and not paying attention to what he was doing and apologized and said she saw the damage and would file a claim with her insurance (Farmers Insurance) company and just kept saying she was sorry. After a couple of weeks of me calling the insurance company a Mrs. Katrina ** finally called me and said to go get a couple of estimates and send them to her. I did and they was around $1800.00 dollars. Farmers was not happy with the estimate so they hired an appraiser to come and look at my car since she was in Tennessee. He came and said it looked like it was all prior road rash.

So Farmers Insurance said they would offer me $750 for my troubles and then wanted me to file a claim with my insurance to get my car fixed. I did not do this because I didn't want my rates to increase. I had to pay the difference for this terrible company that beat me out of over $1000.00 dollars. Very rude and obnoxious lady. Katrina ** phone number is ** or **. I had to go ahead and accept the $750 to get my car fixed. But I felt that a bad remark should be filed against these folks. Insurance companies are giants that do as they please and just treat people how they like. TERRIBLE.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Tried to update my policy with a change of address online but doesn't have a option online to submit a address change. I've tried my Agent. Can never get ahold of him then tried the toll free number. Worse customer Service ever. Canceling my insurance with this company ASAP. Not even worth signing up for.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Received a quote from Farmers on insurance to replace my current policy, where the rate was going up excessively. In filling out their online form I was asked if I had any violations in the past 3 years. I answered yes, selected "minor violation", and went on. Farmers' initial quote was great; in line with other insurers. Then, when I went to activate the insurance they stated that I had a violation and my rate was actually 40% higher than what they had quoted. When I asked why they offered the initial quote, I discovered that they always operate this way, offering a quote without checking your driving record, then raising the price when they finally do! When I inquired as to why they had offered the quote at all instead of just saying that I needed to talk with an agent, they stated that "all insurers do this." Apparently, that makes it OK in their minds! Then they came back with an even higher rate a few days later!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

When I searched for Auto Insurance, I turned down State Farm again, they went from $800.00 per year to $1,300/year... Farmers told me, there is charged in (6) Months, and they wanted to withdraw my payment from my Checking... THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF AUTO INSURANCE WAS NEVER DISCLOSED, SO, I have paid over $1,000 to $1,300 this year; 2017. Now it's been 11 days since I canceled them on Sept 21st/17, and I think they're Holding out (Scammers) on my $335.00 Refund. I just learned they were deducting from my Checking $362.00 every three months, totaling = $1,448... I haven't checked in the Past Years, but this non-disclosure scam by Farmers has been going on for years now, making me pay $1,100 to $1,500 per year, against my word.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I see many reviews here showing Farmers as raising rates, not covering claims, etc... I had to write to share my experiences. I have had numerous claims with Farmers and have never had a negative experience. I've had Home and numerous auto claims. Yes, rates have gone up in the 15+ years I've been with them but not how some write. My current auto claim is regarding my 1998 Acura which I am totally at fault and am still having a positive experience. Farmers has always been attentive and helpful with each and every claim I have had. There may be times where I don't get a response same day, but has never been outrageous in time taken to get back to me.

In regards to my current claim, my auto shop where my work is being done, stated to me that in his many years of experience Farmers is by far the best insurance to deal with! I have had to take the responsibility to do some research on my own to get the value I feel is appropriate but I don't see that as out of the norm. ANY insurance customer should be doing their own research on value of their vehicle in a total-loss situation. If you expect any insurance company to give you top dollar for your vehicle, you are mislead or misinformed. We, as customers, have a responsibility to pay attention to all claims, adjustments, offers, terms and conditions, etc. Farmers has been a great company to work with and have to cover my home, life and auto policies.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Wife had a minor car accident recently. A car swapped her in a cross lane. Reported to Farmers our insurance. They would not accept witness statements that we're in the car at the time of the accident. Farmers wrote the final accident report before ever seeing the actual police report. No one ever came out to talk to us about what happened. Something seems to be wrong about that kind of assessment. We are looking for another auto insurance company now. The police report did decided against my wife, but Farmer did not know that at the time they wrote their report, and did not seem to care. If they will do this with our Auto insurance, we wonder about our homeowner insurance with them.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I was involved in an accident in Panama City Beach. Their client pulled out in front of me totaling my car. After giving their rep my statement 2 days pass and I call and they had not gotten in touch with their client. I was told they allow their client 2 weeks to respond. I had to call my insurance company to get a rental for the first week and pay 20% out of pocket. After arguing with the agent she finally called the next day to tell me she had talked to their client and she had accepted responsibility for the accident. The 4th day after the accident a rep called and wanted to know where my car was towed to, the agent had refused to take that info beforehand. The next day she called to tell me I needed to release the vehicle to her so they could move it to their lot and avoid storage fees and I immediately called and authorized the release.

A claims specialist called me the following week and told me they had valued my car but when I looked over the paperwork I notice the valuation was on a GS model, not the GT Limited that I owned. They also had not included the out of pocket for the rental I incurred. Also I ask for 2 days hotel since I spent 2 days dealing with the aftermath of the accident and not my vacation and ask them to consider partial reimbursement for a $3000 paint job I had put on my car less than a year before the accident and I faxed all the receipts to them. After 2 more days I called and the specialist I was dealing with had a message that said he was out of office for 2 weeks.

I was transferred to someone who never heard of me and didn't know anything about my claim. After giving her my claim number and explaining the valuation of the GS compared to the GT and the paperwork I had faxed, she couldn't find it and I had to go and refax it. Two more days pass and I get a letter from the towing company that they still had my car and the charges were $238 and accumulating and my car would be sold at auction the first of the month if it was not picked up. I called and left 2 messages for someone to call and explain why I had released the vehicle on the 4th and it was still at the storage yard on the 15th. I finally got a call, but they didn't answer the storage question, and only offered me $80 more than their last offer. They had not taken the hotel bill of $298 into consideration, nor the $3000 paint job, nor revalued the car from a GS to the GT.

The accident was on July 31st, this is Aug 15th. I still don't have a car and have to look for a way to work and back home. They allowed me a week of rental after my insurance paid my first week but told me if I wanted it longer I would have to pay out of pocket, it wasn't their responsibility. They only allow 1 week after declaring a car totaled, even though they have made no effort to help me get a fair settlement so I can get another car. Now I am in a position to have to take what they want to give me since I was not injured and a lawyer would not make much off my case and I would have to pay the lawyer out of my pocket. Insurance isn't fair even if you are not at fault. My insurance tells me I can file a claim through them but I will have to pay the deductibles and since I file a claim my rates would go up. So unfair to someone who was not at fault.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I have been a customer with Farmers for about two years now. I bundled home and auto insurance to get the best deal. Since then, with every renewal my premiums have consistently gone up, for both policies!!! It's ridiculous! I have no claims for either policy! I pay in advance. The only explanation I get is that it is a state wide increase! Lame! None of my friends or family have had this problem! I have had enough!!! Apparently they value the extra money over customer satisfaction. They are really deceiving!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I was hit by a tornado December 2015, it took about a year to have the building that was destroyed replaced. I start to replace contents, and I am told since it has been more than a year since the first payment, they will not reimburse me for depreciation held back on contents I hadn't replaced yet, since I took too long to replace items (I had nowhere to put them). I did not try to add to the claim, just get depreciation held back for items already in the claim. Farmers will look for any reason not to pay you

Original review: July 28, 2017

I have been a resident of AZ for four months. Things are slowly getting settled. One of the things I needed to do is acquire auto insurance. I am well aware that the state of Arizona requires all drivers to have auto insurance. That is why I applied for insurance, at Joe ** Farmers insurance. I was GIVEN A CHOICE. As to how I wanted to receive my statements. Internet, text, or paper mailed. I chose paper mailed.

That was not what he wanted. I chose to have my statements sent monthly. He didn't like that either. So, statements come randomly. Very recently I went online at the AZdot website to seek help/information about what I have the power to do about this. I found this agent online posting slanderous statements about me. The statements are gone, but I can't unsee that. Now recently I have been communicating with Rick ** at the Farmer's relations rep. The slander issue has already been swept under his rug too. To the best of my knowledge there is no law that says I have to accept poor, sloppy service.

Original review: July 24, 2017

On my father's behalf. His vehicle stolen 3/16. They found the car in a lake. He has complied with all request. To date 1 1/2 years later he is still making his $360 payment and the car was auction off by yard because Farmers neglected to get it. He's still making his premiums and his car payment! No response from the claims adj Casey **, his Supervisor Kristine or the Manager Andrew **. I feel they have neglected my father and now no one wants to be accountable.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I started with Farmers Aug of 2016 for my auto and homeowners after checking prices and they would save me money from my other company I was with, big mistake. As of this Aug 1 year later my auto insurance went up 30% than when I started. That is 190.00 a year more, My homeowners went up 14% 72.25 more in a year, I have not no claims no late payments. I pay auto every 6 months and my homeowners every year. I will be searching for a new carrier.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I have had a terrible experience with Farmers insurance. I was struck by one of your customers, resulting in a total loss of my vehicle. So far in my claim, the representatives and policies have been awful. My assigned representative, Kyle **, has been difficult to contact and unhelpful with questions. Following initial contact, I have constantly been told "there is an issue with coverage" on the part of the other party. I couldn't get a specific answer.

It took two weeks after the accident for any kind of progress to begin. I had to rent a vehicle out-of-pocket. When the claim finally moved forward, I was referred to an Enterprise branch that would bill Farmers directly. This particular branch wouldn't give me a rental unless I purchased insurance through them, which is not covered with Farmers. At that point, I'd returned my previous rental and was at the Enterprise office with no other ride. If I'm going to be referred a rental agency branch, it shouldn't be one that requires an out-of-pocket expense. This may not be significant for a large company, but I am a college student with no income. This is terrible customer service from management down to the representatives. I am requesting that I receive some kind of compensation, at least reimbursement for out-of-pocket insurance that was required.

Original review: June 16, 2017

After looking at Farmers website, I tried to use the contact page but after 30 minutes of frustration, gave up and just called the number for the Elsinore, CA agent listed. Never got a call back, so I FINALLY called again. He answered his own phone (hmmmm...) and when he realized who I was, it became the weirdest call to a business I had ever engaged in. He was rude, unhelpful and reminded me why I've never used Farmers for a good reason: they have never helped me in any insurance need... EVER! He verified that their website lies about what they even cover!!! I don't know why they are still in business, especially gauging my experience on the moron in Elsinore! If this is who they employ, they are in real trouble. Bump da dump dump, indeed.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I tried getting ahold of my agent and the company to cancel my policy. At first I was just going to take a car off. But after 6 hrs of getting nowhere, I was very annoyed. It's bad the hoops you have to jump through to cancel. And how the agent doesn't call back when before she would call back in minutes. Now more than 36 hrs later I still have not heard from her.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Have not had a great deal of contact (no claims since we have become a consumer) but like being able to talk personally to a representative who appears to understand our needs. However, I do think that pricing needs to be more competitive and discounts more expanded for people w/o claims or long term customers.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Be diligent when shopping for insurance and check reviews for carriers for a while before enrolling. Cheaper is not always better. Had insurance and was going to transfer to new vehicle when they dropped coverage on vehicle I was driving. Got hit by a kid running stop sign. Insurance denied coverage and my vehicle was totaled. Was very upset and went to another company. That company was no better. Allstate did not repair my vehicle satisfactory. At that time agent was disgraceful. Now I have a good agent that works for me.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day that they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents that don't raise your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

www.farmers.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use