Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Farmers Auto Insurance
2.71/5

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

442 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Had them for 4 years... never once spoke with my agent until the end. I recently got a new car, and my rates skyrocketed, though I have all the points covered that they rate you on... good credit, homeowner, no claims, nonsmoker, very safe driver. The website wrecked my computer so I had to do snail mail and phone calls. I tried to reason with them about my rates as I am retired. Get this, they signed me up for the lowest deductible WITHOUT EVEN ASKING ME BECAUSE IT WAS MORE MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS, nor did the agent even bother to inform me of the new rates.

Whenever I called, it was obvious the calls were fielded out. When I said I'd never even spoken with my so-called agent, Rodney **, I wondered why. I was told that he was the OFFICE MANAGER. WOWEEE... and always busy with someone. I spoke with 2 different agents, both of whom talked down to me and tried to talk me out of switching to a higher level deductible... talk about micromanaging someone's life and decisions! I informed whoever that I would be looking elsewhere and to inform Rodney ** of same.

Lo and behold, I finally got a call from this jerk, who told me to Go somewhere else, that I didn't have to buy my insurance from him. He talks veeerrryyy slooowwwly and sounds about like a 95-year-old. I have never been treated like this from a lousy car insurance Company and I will be contacting the president of Farmers. After reading pages and pages of horrible reviews I thank God in heaven that I never had to file a claim with them. I know they never would have paid it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I recently purchased an auto policy for just under $700 which is high but the Atlanta market sucks like that. I signed all the documents and everything went fine until the next month when I was charged another $350. I went back to look at the documents I signed and I was shocked to find that all the numbers had changed. I called and they of course said there was nothing they could do cause I electronically signed the documents. I believe that they somehow changed them and took my signature from the ones I really signed. I asked them to pull the recordings from the original conversation and it took them 15 days to come back and say that they could not find the recording. I find this very convenient for them. I suspect that the agent deleted the recording or the company deleted it after I continuously complained.

I mean who would ever pay $1000 for a 6 month auto policy with a clean driving record? I caution anyone to go elsewhere, this company lies, cheats, and steals and then covers it up. I for from now on record all phones calls and screenshot all online legal documents. They can certainly change your documents after you sign them.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Just to read the complaints of your own clients I understand now how this adjuster Kelleigh ** is giving her response that is a 50/50; is a nightmare since I have to help to do her job provided pictures how her negligent client hit my car. She is on Oklahoma. I'm in Missouri. How she can give that fraud result, if I take to the police or anyone can see was not my fault. The old men did reverse with his old truck that use for business for being on a hurry without notice we did reverse first. When he was not moving or use the hazard lights as we did. Or used the horn when he hit the side on my car for don't put attention to any of the advice I use before when he hit with his bumper and because his friend or client told her a lie that we hit each other on the sides.

Even a naive seeing the pictures believe that lie. And I regret don't call the police at that moment because I thought was a decent and trusting person. But now I realize the kind of men is. My bumper didn't hit nothing. Anyhow I don't going to stop until I found justice to my case. How this company can have this kind of adjusters in other states to make an accurate decisions.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Shame on you Farmers Auto Insurance. Your client hit and totaled my car that was parked outside my apartment on August 9th, 2018 in Van Nuys California and I have yet to have an adjuster come out to evaluate the car. How dare you and how am I supposed to make a living without my car. My car is only source of income and it's been 5 months I haven't worked and suffers from anxiety over the whole ordeal. Why should I have to wait so long without a compensation because the other parties are disputing who is at fault?! The person that ran underneath my car which is your client who drives the champagne Mercedes is responsible. How much more longer do I have to wait to get back to making a living? This is very frustrating and super ridiculous. You guys need to do something as I am tired of waiting and getting tickets on the badly damaged car outside because of safety violation per the City of Van Nuys.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This company seems to fail at every turn. I was involved in an accident, they automatically assume it was my fault even though the physical evidence clearly showed that I was cut off. Rear right side passenger bumper of other car took impacted my driver side head light. The company totaled my car but tried to shortchange me $1500 valuation.

They provided rental car that I needed to return in a day because of a rental car company error. The rental car company tried to charge/game me for minor scratches that were noted on checkout. Farmers is paying the rental and says it's not our problem. The ethics of their partners is their problem. I tried to log in to pay a bill, and their systems sends an email with a code. The email arrives 10 minutes later and the code expired after 5 minutes. The helpline acts as if it's my fault. I have no problem with email or my internet connection. The company's attitude is just poor all the way around.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

They were charging me for someone else living in the house, making me pay for their car insurance & I refused to and they sent me to collections, so I went to another auto insurance company. I had been with them for years.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have 3 policies with Farmers. This week, my auto insurance was randomly canceled without notification. My agent conveniently does not work on the weekend. So I called the customer service line. They informed me that their system is down and they cannot process a payment. Told me to call back later in the day. Been about 8 hours, now they say to call back tomorrow. Now I'm unable to drive over the weekend meaning I will miss several appointments. So to sum it up: - Canceled my insurance even though I never missed a payment. - Did not notify me that I did not have insurance. - Agent did not respond over the weekend. - Customer service could not help. - System was down over the weekend. - Could not reinstate insurance even though I needed insurance.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Please do not get this company. I was involved in an accident where the other driver was in an illegal lane position and hit me head on and Farmers is making me take 50% fault. The adjuster lied to me multiple times and even said that it's my fault because I should have been looking more carefully. I had multiple police officers say that the accident was not my fault and that my insurance was ripping me off. Please do not get Farmers. They DO NOT have your best interests in mind.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

A self absorbed company with a multi million dollar ad campaign giving the customer a false sense of security while all the time steering their customers to inadequate coverage so you're left holding the bag! Do not believe their slick ads. Yes they cover it BUT NOT MUCH. Arrogant claims suspicious talking medical adjusters. Held 7 policies with them and "Oops you're not covered for that." They do not explain their policies until oops until after the accident then they're happy to tell you how little your coverage is. WARNING USE YOUR OWN DUE diligence to assure you are covered!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

So after 20 yrs I'm without an agent because my agent no longer works for Farmers. I was in need of paying my bill and in Abilene Kansas. I went to the Farmers' office around closing time. The agent Thomas ** unlocked the door and assisted me. That was above and beyond for me. Ma I my because it wasn't a simple process. I now have a new agent. Thomas ** he was patient and professional. Thank you Thomas and thank you Farmers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Been with Farmers for years. Was rear ended in my 2017 Honda Pilot while sitting in traffic and after the other party's insurance company denied fault so I called Farmers. My claims adjuster Garrett ** handled my claim and assured me they'd deal with them on my behalf. I tried to keep in contact but would never get a return call. 6 months later I finally get a hold of someone who could help. It turned out Garrett had left the company and no one was there to pick up my case. Craig ** (**) took over my claim and informed me that the other company was going to take care of the damages. Relieved I got into contact with the at fault's party only to find out that they were still denying my claim. Called back Craig only for him to rudely tell me there was nothing he could do and to just pay my deductible of 1000$.

He said he would see what he could do and that he'd call me back the next day. He then went on vacation. Got in touch with Susie (**) who was much friendlier and she informed me since they dropped the ball that they would waive the 1000$ deductible and repair my car as long as damages were over 1000$. I informed her that I was sure they were not but she reassured me that since my car was new that it would. I got an email saying I had a rental car ready and that everything was set. I took the car in and informed the mechanic of the situation. He said that he doubted, as I did, that the damages were going to exceed 1000$. So I asked to do an estimate first. Something Farmers should have done considering the stipulation. He said Craig should be in touch by day's end. Late the next day I get an email from Craig saying there's nothing they can do to help and that they were closing my case.

Farmers was planning on me doing the repairs and then charge me for the rent a car and repairs which turned out only to be 360$ in damages. Completely unethical. Susie never looked at the pictures of the damages so everything she said regarding the damages being over 1000$ was just a lie to get me off her back. They seem to have zero procedure there and just wing it. I've been with them for ages and this was the first time I needed assistance and it will be the last. I am currently speaking with my lawyer about what can be done. Contacting the Better Business Bureau about the situation and of course leaving Farmers asap. What should have been an open and shut case has become a nightmare full of lies and disappointment.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Farmers insurance is a complete joke! A Farmers insured driver was texting on the phone and ran directly into the rear of my fiances brand new Nissan Rogue. They took responsibility then decided that they were going to handle the claim in a half-** way. The first problem was they wanted to do an estimate over pictures rather than have the body shop inspect the car. While hesitant I said, "Do it." They sent a price quote to my body shop of $800.00 by cutting the labor rates in half and quoting all aftermarket parts.

My vehicle has been on the road less than a year, has a value of $30,000 and didn't have a scratch before the accident. After that, they told me that this was how it works (little do they know I have worked for insurance companies and currently assist in running a Cadillac dealership) and that they go off of the rules they have. Rules state that a vehicle that has a manufacture date of less than 2 year gets OEM parts replaced, not aftermarket. Next, they asked me to use a different body shop (which they are not allowed to ask me to do since I get to choose the body shop I want since they hit me) that would work with their estimates when my shop said they would not. After threatening a lawsuit, they told me to just go through my insurance company (USAA) and they will reimburse them.

Now it's been almost 2 weeks, repairs were approved by USAA for all OEM replacement parts and proper times (estimate to fix was 2x more than the estimate from Farmers) and they are denying me a rental car and told me that I have to pay out of pocket and eventually I will be reimbursed. My insurance company has been trying to call the agent at Farmers and he would not return their call and now I told him my lawyer will be getting involved since they did not want to handle this situation properly or the right way.

If USAA was handling this from the beginning, my car would already be fixed, it would have been done and handled the right way, and it would all be done and over with. Unfortunately, I am now going on the third week with a brand new damaged car and a future lawsuit on my hands. This insurance company is a complete joke!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Farmers is a great insurance company. I was welcomed with excellent customer service as well as a fast and affordable quote which helped me make the decision to switch. I saved 100 dollars by switching companies and that extra money will help me with other expenses. Farmers Insurance is great!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We recently made the switch to Farmers Auto Insurance from another company that we had been with for many, many years. Farmers was so helpful in detailing where we could save money, what we were lacking with our old company and how the transfer process could be done more smoothly. They were very professional throughout and we look forward to many years of coverage with them ahead.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I think Farmers is a good company and it is easy to have an insurance policy with this company. They offer competitive rates and are available to meet most of your auto insurance needs. You should look this company up when you need insurance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I want to complain about so-called 'certified body shops'. I used one after accident and experience is catastrophic. I still think they owe me money for that battery I had to replace myself. I had car accident. Day before that I had car serviced and car service papers did not show any signs of bad batteries. After crash, car did not start. I brought car to 'certified body show' which was "Mikes Autobody", Walnut Creek, Ca, North Broadway. I asked multiple times if they could check electric before fixing car. I they would be unsure about repair results, I wanted to take money and bring to another body shop.

First, I had to sign paper that they do preliminary checks. They estimated ~$300$ and after that they said they can fix car. It took > week to fix it. Then they called and said they fixed body, but car does not start and I had to take it in that condition. I refused reminding them about their initial words. They said they would 'Evaluate electrical issues on dealership', estimated 'evaluation' in ~700$ and saying that if issue with car is not result of accident, I have to pay for repair plus 'evaluation'. They stated, they only fix body, and not mechanical or electrical part (it is pity they did not say that before when I brought car - SCAM! ). I was unsure what to do: after examining similar cases (people say Farmers does not replace batteries, but there was no signs it is battery - it was totally OK before crash, I decided to take car to my mechanic).

It was battery, and based on other's Farmers experience I would pay 800 + replacement for battery by dealership. That is TOTAL SCAM. Keeping in mind I could take money and bring car to another body shop where people do complex work. I also wanted to tell that along the way I was getting unpleasant calls from Farmers' estimator and agent, with all kind of suspicions and assumptions, that electric did not work initially and I faked that problem. Farmers estimator was especially suspicious and rude. STAY AWAY FROM FARMERS. THIS IS TOTAL SCAM. I spent week in arguing, figuring out details of how I could potentially lie to them and listening stupid explanation that 'for 5 y.o. car it is fine to not to start'. Farmers - one solid catastrophy.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance has been good for me overall. It is a good value for the price, and it provides various types of coverage to fit my needs. I've tried a few other insurance companies, and Farmers has been the best of those that I've tried. But, the claims processing was a little stressful and could have been simpler and less stressful, albeit this could have been just the result of a stressful accident situation. Whenever I have needed to talk to them to change coverage or whenever I had a question, the customer service representative were always very friendly and very helpful. They were professional and courteous.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance is a very good auto insurance company. I have been very satisfied with their service and coverage options. I have thankfully only had to file a claim once, but found the experience to be quick and precise and quite positive. I would not hesitate to recommend them although they are generally pricier than other insurance companies.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Overall I have had some good experiences with Farmers insurance. The person I deal with most of the time is really nice and takes my questions and concerns seriously. Their insurance is decently priced for the coverage I am getting. Plus I get a few free tows, free door unlocks, and other perks which are also very nice and come in handy. I am getting my money's worth which doesn't always happen with car insurance.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The best thing about the insurance is probably their customer service in my opinion. Every time I've needed help and have called they are always very helpful and polite and I don't want to say would bend over backwards, but just about so. They explain everything in an easy to understand way and get me my answers and needs met pretty quick.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I think that Farmers has done a fine job in helping me get the coverage that I need, or at least the coverage that I desire. The only issue that I have is the price. I currently pay $300 for insurance on one vehicle, a vehicle that isn't known for carrying high insurance rates. It's a shame, but I think that might be the dealbreaker for me.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The Farmers Auto Insurance overall was a okay experience. While the staff and coverage were adequate, I felt that the company itself tended to overcharge on their services. In addition, the company also was quick to raise rates on issues.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Farmers has always been extremely helpful with our auto insurance. We have not had issues with adding classic cars or claims. They work with us to satisfy our needs and do what needs to be done to get us where we need to be.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I've had this insurance ever since I got my driver's license. The company has always been good to me. It has given me discounts and helped me through accidents. The staff that work there have always been very friendly to me. Everyone in my family has insurance from here. If I have kids, I would definitely have them go through this insurance as well. A lot of people in my area trust Farmers Auto Insurance for their car insurance needs. If you are looking for insurance, I would first try them over some of the bigger companies.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Farmers-insured backs into my car, apologizes and give us his Farmers Ins. info. Farmers is now trying their best to DENY/Circumvent, or pass the blame on their own insured/client, accusing him driving for Lyft/Uber at the time of accident. There was "NO" display of either on his car which is required while working. Farmers-insured had a friend in the car at the time and was visiting an adjacent building near my residence. This claim was filed 4 weeks ago. Glad I document and record everything. Sent pictures and estimate for $1765.00 of damage 2 weeks ago, still have not resolved claim. I've contacted them 7 times trying to resolve this and it’s the same sorry excuse to prolong claim, "We are investigating"! Farmers client stated to me and Farmers, he was not doing Lyft or Uber at the time of incident 4 weeks ago! My Claim was 9-24-2018, still waiting! LAWYER TIME! Small Claims.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I really like my insurance company. Farmers Auto Insurance has never done anything wrong anytime I have ever called them for anything. There have been times when I needed to call and get a statement sent again or any time I have a question for them and the clerks have always been really nice and helpful over the phone. They have been prompt with dealing with my issues and been great with explaining things to me about my account. They are also very very considerate with anything that I need. Even the one time that my payment was a month late and they told me "No issues!" on the payment being late and marked it as paid and just told me to pay the next month. I love them!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I hate insurance. I pay so much and get back so little. It is more expensive now. I have not made many claims other than broken glass and it was handled well but what a price to pay for small thing like that.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The company in Oklahoma is awful. They employ the trashiest claims adjusters. They literally find the slimiest most morally bankrupt people they can. I can't even believe these people are employed ANYWHERE. My family was hit by one of their drivers head on. The ridiculous tactics they have used to delay paying the claim would be laughable if we hadn't almost died. I have heard horrible things about this company but would have never imagined they would be this disgusting. Children were injured and instead of honestly helping, their adjusters are manipulating the situation and trying to create more stress to avoid paying a single dime.

They have falsified signed documents, 'lost' medical records, anything they can do to stall the claim. Do yourself a favor and get an attorney early on. The things my attorney has uncovered are shocking. Their adjusters are very dishonest and will do anything to receive their 'bonuses' which I am told are as low as $50 and a pizza party. Yes... a pizza party. They have put a good family through hell in efforts to win a pizza party.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Well, I have been told how terrible this Insurance company is, my recent experience is a proof. I am so speechless to hear from a Farmers agent that my claim will not be covered by them going by their review after their client damaged my vehicle. Prior to my experience, my colleague had told us how Farmers told him he was drunk during an accident where their client accepted fault. My colleague was returning from work at 3:30 PM. Only a court case proved them wrong and my coworker was finally paid for his vehicle damage. Well, in my case, I still will not say much even after they had refused to review the video from the surveillance camera right at the place of incident. We are going to court too. Seems like Farmers insurance will hurt their own clients and also non-clients. The only way to get them to cover what they are paid for is legal case.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I signed on with Farmers in 2015 with auto and renters insurance. I could never get online due to my agent incorrectly entering my email. In 2016, I tried to call my agent for 2 weeks, leaving messages. No return call. I even received a postcard in the mail from him, looking for additional business. Finally I called again, phone has been disconnected. He went out of business, and no one bothered to contact me. My account was transferred to another local agent. Received a postcard in the mail from him with his phone number last week. Called this week to cancel my policy, as I am now on my new husband's insurance. Phone was disconnected! So once again, my agent went out of business, and I was not informed. What kind of customer service is this? When I called Farmers corporate, the CSR still had him listed as my agent!

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day that they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents that don't raise your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky