2. Automotive

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Auto Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.83/5

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year
Farmers Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Farmers Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Farmers Auto Insurance has been really good so far. They always respond quickly, care about my issues, and work very reliably. Overall I feel very comfortable to have their insurance policy.

1. Road side assistant is awesome as everyone else agrees.
2. They care about the car accident reasonably. They cared about my inconvenience. Everything was very smooth. Towing, Renting, Body shop, Appraising, Claim compensation. Farmers cared so well, so it protected me from dramas (the other driver's insurance company bankrupted).
3. The agency (not Farmers itself) did a great job for consultation. They look carefully about the policy and suggest addition for my situation and let me know what I can save.

4. Some people say that Farmers is expensive, but I don't feel it's expensive since they do everything so reliable. I don't think other auto insurance company can provide same level of services with the same premium.

I highly recommend Farmers auto insurance from my experience. You'll get peace.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I started buying insurance with State Farm in 1965 with my first car. Somewhere in the mid seventies the fit just didn’t seem right; arguing with adjusters that desperately tried to pay a fraction of a legitimate claim with no help from my agent led me to shop around. On the recommendation of several friends I turned to Farmers where I found an agent that seemed to care about what kind of coverage I had and when I eventually did have to make a claim was helpful in guiding me through that process.

Over the past 40 years, (and several more claims), I have found Farmers to be an insurance company that has met my needs. My only problem has come from agents that either left the business, became so comfortable that their hobbies and past times surpassed their focus on customer care. The best agent I ever had passed away followed by another agent that was never available and I now have a professional and responsive agent that is available for all my questions and even initiates an annual review of my policies. So, finally, Farmers has been a very good company that has met my needs for over forty years. You just need to carefully choose your agent and not be afraid to shop until you find one that is a professional.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Auto insurance coverage is more than just the price. It is about risk and really being covered at time of loss. This requires advanced thought to how your policy functions. I asked hard questions over the years - agents have been unable to answer often without going to underwriting for advice. I cover risk items that often get overlooked in a typical quote. Farmers has been able to keep up with me and find answers for coverage concerns. Farmers customer service has been great. I have not had a claim yet in 5+ years. I question others about Farmers to get feedback before buying and only heard positive. My price is lower than I have been able to find with the leading companies out there.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I was with Geico for decades! I could never find anyone that compared to them and it was not for lack of trying. Then, a Farmers agent contacted me and lo and behold, offered me a better deal than Geico! I made sure to compare apples to apples and found that Farmers truly has been there and they certainly have done that!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I like Farmers Insurance. We have our house, car and motorcycle insured. But when they bill they usually fall about the same time and it is hard to pay all three of them. I wish they would spread them out and maybe combine the motorcycle and auto together. But other than that I like the service we receive. I would not consider switching unless we could get it cheaper. I looked around and they all are about what we are paying now. So I think we will stay with them for now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: May 13, 2020

Expect to pay for claims yourself! I recently backed my girlfriend's car of my garage and ended up messing up the edge of the door. I contacted my insurance agency, Farmers, and they refused to pay the claim because they said her insurance would be primary. I ended up paying the full claim myself. Worst company I have ever dealt with and have since canceled my insurance with them. I will never do business with them ever again!

Original review: April 16, 2020

I recently paid my vehicle off and decided with the Kelly's Blue Book value that it was no longer worth keeping the collision insurance for my vehicle so I called to have that removed. I paid full amount for the month for my insurance to remain in effect until the end of the month and unfortunately 3 weeks later I totaled my car by hitting into a deer and went to file a claim and they told me my comprehensive insurance was removed and that there is nothing they can do. I told them there must be a mistake because I never asked for that to be removed. I only asked for collision to be removed..

After contacting the investigating team that deals with this type of situation they told me because my conversation with the agent wasn't recorded, they can't prove that my agent specified that my comprehensive insurance would be removed. I am so upset with Farmers and have no car or no money to get one now and here I was under the impression I was covered and my insurance company had my back.. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!

Original review: March 31, 2020

After many years with Farmers, they have always raised monthly premiums without telling me, when coronavirus hit, they disconnected their lines, or at least they appeared disconnected to me so I could not get through to cancel my insurance, my agent was closed, I had to call the bank and ask them to block them from getting anything from my checking, then the only way I was able to get through is through live chat and when I cancelled I was told my refund is $3 and change, I must have paid them thousands through the years and never had an accident or claim. My advise is not only about farmers, but all insurance companies are like that, do not stay loyal to them for too long, switch every now and then until you find an honest company (please let me know if you do) and stick with it.

Original review: March 4, 2020

If you have Farmers Insurance you should compare prices. I saved $1400.00 per year on two vehicles and have better coverage. They also did not cancel my policy when requested and cost me another $230.00. DON'T TRUST THEM.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

On Dec. 28th 2019 we were at a red light and had been for 7 seconds according to our dashcam video. A Farmer's insured rear-ended us. So ZERO fault to us. From the beginning I said I will not accept aftermarket parts, only OEM. The adjuster, Mike received this in verbal and written communication and never said that would not happen. I take my vehicle to BMW because a lot of the electrical stuff quit working right after the accident and I wanted it repaired correctly, plus I had an extended warranty that I didn't want to risk losing. Farmer's also tried to give us a Ford Fiesta to drive as a rental even though our vehicle is a BMW X5 4wd. We had to fight and fight to get a chinsy Jeep Cherokee 2wd.

So we get a call from BMW that Farmer's is refusing to pay for an OEM bumper and they will only pay for an aftermarket one. Well, BMW's policy is to REFUSE to repair their vehicles with aftermarket parts because they do not meet the same like, kind or quality of their original parts! (I think this is an awesome policy, BTW). However, they WILL accept a CAPA certified aftermarket part because it has met the crash test ratings and other testing to prove that it is at least as good or even better than the OEM part.

Guess what???? Farmer's still denied that part. They will only pay for the aftermarket part that is nowhere near the quality of the one I had on the vehicle when their insured hit me, again at ZERO fault of mine. The bumper they will pay for costs under $200. The CAPA bumper is around $600 and the OEM is around $1,000. So you cannot tell me that their choice of bumper is anywhere near the quality of the other two. But guess what??? I can pay the difference and get my vehicle repaired.

So here I am, stuck with a bill of $600-$800 in order to get my vehicle back and repaired to its original condition when she hit me all because I did everything right that day except be legally at a stop light minding my own business. This is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!!!! How can they get away with this? Refusing to pay for parts that meet crash test standards? I don't know about you, but I want my bumper to perform as it should in an accident. I don't want some piece of crap plastic cover that doesn't take any of the impact of the crash. FARMERS INSURANCE IS A COMPLETE JOKE!!!

Farmers author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company has 24/7 customer service. Its ride-share insurance fills the gaps that regular auto policies don’t cover, and an app called Signal monitors driving behavior and helps customers qualify for discounts.

• Coverage and plans: ustomers get standard coverage and tack on the extras they want, including new car replacement, loss of use and equipment coverage.

• Cost: A 42-year-old with a Farmers auto policy can expect to pay about $225 a month for auto insurance.

• Discounts: Farmers has discounts for paperless billing, upfront payments, teen drivers, safety features, good drivers, bundling, multivehicle policies, good students, environmentally friendly vehicles and homeownership.

• Standout feature: Farmers has accident forgiveness, allowing customers to have one accident without seeing increased premiums.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor