Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
Farmers Auto Insurance
2.30/5

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

454 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

Was with another company and the cost of my insurance was going to skyrocket from less than $200.00 to over $320. for three months. I spoke to an agent at Farmers and am receiving the exact same coverage as the other company for less than $150.00 a month. Very happy I switched. My rate has remained the same since I switched to Farmers.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I'm a woman, and I was by myself, stuck on the shoulder of the freeway for over 4 hours last night (5:30-10:00). I could have gotten a ride home and left my car, but was Farmers going to be responsible for my car, if I left it? I strongly doubt it, based upon what I went through. The original Farmers dispatcher put a weird street address in the system, rather than my location on the freeway. I continued to call back, and tell the dispatcher (a new dispatcher each time) that they had given the driver a wrong address. How hard is it to tell the driver "The customer is on the freeway???" However, each dispatcher continued to give each different tow truck driver that weird street address - over the course of 4+ hours they dispatched 3 tow companies.

At 10:00 pm, the last tow truck driver found me. Some of the drivers never took my calls. The last one, he made an extra effort and kept calling and texting with me, until he found me. He promised he would, and he did. He was a gem! I then called Farmers back, to tell them the tow was completed; I was on hold for 20 mins (did they know it was me???), and the Farmers person was polite, but could not care less. Then, and here is the icing on the cake: it was now after 11:00 pm and I was finally going home, I received yet another text from Farmers saying a truck would be at my location - eta 20 mins, and they gave that weird street address again. OMG, the Farmers dispatcher didn't even put it in their own system, that the tow was completed. What incompetence, and total lack of customer service; no one cared that I was a woman by myself, stuck out on the freeway for 4 hours. I'm done with Farmers!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My parents had Farmers for a long time, and when I bought first home, I went with them as well. 15 years later, 2 cars, 3 homes insured through them. Then I got online one day for the first time in ages and noticed that I'd been paying $1990 every 6 months for our auto policy (2 cars, nothing special). Wife hasn't had any accidents or tickets, ever. I got a speeding ticket about 4 years ago. This is what happens when you trust a company and don't periodically check your auto-payments. My fault for not finding it sooner. Their fault for being an awful, deceitful company. Ditching them for Mutual Liberty... $56/mo for the same 2 cars, vs the $330/mo Farmers has been scamming me out of for whatever number of years.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Was hit while I was parked, I say again while I was parked and Farmers will not cover damages. Never moved, customer backed into Me and claims wasn’t his fault. If you're dealing with Anita ** trust me she’s rude, doesn’t care, won’t return phone call, treat people horribly much less a veteran.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

This is a Review Of Farmers Insurance & Recent Currently Ongoing 2/22/19 where I was hit from behind Rear End On Highway. 100% Not My Fault. Lady has Farmers, says "don't worry Farmers will take care of everything and make it look new again". ope/did not happen. Adjuster came out 5 min in the rain, did some voodoo on laptop to tell me my Beautiful C320 Sports Mercedes In Mint Conditions is Junk. Not worth fixing. Somehow the adjuster becomes the new owner, sells it back to me wrecked, now my problem with a Salvage Title KBB $ the repair is sky high for a trunk paint job at $7500. The adjuster Laurence has this as fair and reasonable to repair the damage yet values the entire car at $3965 is what I got. This is after I paid $650 buy it back. He said sales tax to California was paid to help me out.

It's a 2003 16 years that is the problem, considered old and compared to other old cars not restored or inspected. My 16 Merz is new looking and modern upgrades to suspensions and runs great take care of it very well. Its mint with recent paint, and looks new. Farmers Uses CCC To Values Cars. CCC USES TAKE WHICH IS LOWEST PRICE DEALER WILL TAKE CASH ON **. CCC Is In Court for Defrauding others same thing. ** class actions. They stole millions from the public for insurance co's because in reality they work for the insurance companies. They pay legal fees to CCC defense to keep the circus act going for the adjuster to use against me. Show my car is junk and worthless when in reality it's not.

Farmers Adjuster won't allow or consider photos or maintenance records, or interior conditions or even check under the hood as a normal inspections of car values would be. Adjuster and Super Visor Steve ** have it same. Use CCC Instead of my Merz. It's misleading to insist on using this for values instead of my car. A fair value would be what would it sell for on auto trader. A buyer would value my car high due to paint job is like new mint conditions inside and out.

Farmers adjusters do not allow this information into the report as insurance commission rules and regulations and California state code appear violations as the adjuster Laurence left no business card, he left no inspections to read or sign, he left no bill of sale on when he purchased my car, and resold it back to me with no paperwork of any kind is a mystery. What Farmers does is value the repair sky high, and lower the values of car using CCC. This makes it total salvage instead of doing the right thing which is Fix and Repair. CEO Jeff Daily does this make more money for shareholders to mistreat customers this way.

I am finding out the service reps operate using cell phones with caller id farmers exchange as a hoax as they operate out of the trunk of car. I have not seen any business card or any paperwork of any kind so I wonder about "this farmers crew roaming the streets" stealing cars and selling them back + pay sales tax. Not sure how? Farmers Hires so they can behave and conduct anyway they wish sending me to hell with no remorse. Back and forth no change. They don't & won't evaluate the claim. Only use CCC.

I am now asking for diminished values restore me way I was before the accident. It was not $0 as farmers has it now. I need to be restored 100% prior accident not play games with CCC & Steve. The public is shocked when they see the wrecked car. Ask about and I tell them my story in dealing with Farmers. Honestly better off with an illegal no insurance than the lady with Farmers who run into me after what I been thru 2 months. They send you check 24 hours. Hope you deposit it. You end up salvage title worthless KBB values and not enough money to repair because conman adjuster values are fake and flawed using CCC and fake numbers sky high on the repair. $7500 to fix and paint the trunk/$3900 Total Value Classic Merz in Mint Conditions.

Anybody else see issue with these numbers. Steve ** Farmers thinks it fair and reasonable and just sent me same check as before which I void and sent back. Farmers after 1 month go back and forth back and forth send in receipts>>> no change >>> same check>>> wasted 1 1/2 months of my life and it's still the same wreck it was day #1. Stay away. Any driver has farmers insurance don't accept it. ITS WORTHLESS INSURANCE PROVEN TO ME. Farmers is proven worthless. Not my car. Farmers customer service towards me could not be any worse.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been with Farmers for several years now as well. I recently hit a deer which is a comprehensive claim in PA. After a couple of investigations by their adjuster they determined it was a total loss. Here is where the true frustration begins. They use this company called CCC One to perform their valuations. They are completely incompetent at best. Their valuation process uses “comparable vehicles” with adjustments for options (industry accepted methodology when done correctly).

I received my report and it is considerably lower than what the market says the vehicle is worth. It gives credit for a list of fairly standard options on cars that it lists which ones. This particular report itself used basically base model comparisons and their list of options installed. Porsche has very expensive vehicle options that do increase the value significantly over the base vehicles. Since they are not part of CCC Ones database, the report omitted them and did not give credit for them at all, not even listed.

I argued with the claims specialist to this point and finally if I provided a build sheet they would review it and make the appropriate adjusts. I thought to myself, “great they are listening”. I provided the information and a couple days later they let me know that CCC One claims they did account for everything and they found items they gave credit for that they shouldn’t have reducing the valuation. WOW!!!

Here is an example of what they removed. On the report, they originally gave credit for dual air conditioning. On the options list for my Porsche it says “4-zone climate control”. Now anybody that has a reasonable mind knows that climate control is basically an automated regulation of AC and Heat. And the last time I checked, maybe kindergarten or first grade 4 was greater than 2. Why would CCC One remove credit for a dual zone fixed AC system and not give credit for a 4-zone climate control system. There are way too many of these instances like this to list.

Now any reasonable person would think, “OK the system that I am using for the valuation does not allow me to value the options on this vehicle so I need to find really close market comparables in terms of equipment”. Not CCC One, their motto is “If we don’t have it in our database, just leave it out”. Farmers continues to state that they have to use the value that CCC One provides and they will not budge. PA laws say a little different and I have filed a complaint with the PA insurance commission. Hopefully this can be mediated through that forum. If not, I will go to court.

So, from what I know as of right now. As long as Farmers is in bed with CCC One and they used them for decisions, if you are considering Farmers insurance, RUN, and run very far away... If you ever need to file a claim you will be screwed unless you plan to spend about 6 months fighting it. I will post the outcome as I learn more to keep everyone informed...

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I would never recommend Farmers Insurance to anyone under any condition. I was hit on the interstate by a driver after a driver lost control of her vehicle after hitting an object in the roadway. Her vehicle spun around, hit the median cable then came back on the interstate hitting me in the left front tire hard forcing me off the side of roadway hitting trees before coming to a stop and totaling the truck I was driving and another car while out of control at 75 mph. I was hurt, could not work - had chiropractor bills, ambulance, $20K hospital bills and still ankle problems 7 months post this accident.

This at fault driver had Farmers Insurance which accepted responsibility within a week and assigned Justin in OKC as adjuster. 7 months later they have not paid one bill or any of my loss after 30 plus phone calls and frustration of them saying they were still gathering bills. No you have ruined my credit and created so much stress and hardship that one could not put in words. Unprofessional, unethical company that are very deceptive in the way they do business and could care less about the burden they cause.

I now have ambulance, hospital, MRI, doctors, chiropractor bills and more that not 1 cent have they paid for. I hope you never find yourself in my position dealing with Farmers Insurance at no fault of my own. They are crooks and have done all the other people involved the same way. I just want anybody to know that if you have Farmers Insurance and you put faith in them protecting you after a claim then just get a lawyer from the start because they are impossible to deal with and don't care moreover strong-arming you in difficult circumstances is standard procedure. If you have Farmers Insurance, they are a nightmare company and I hope you never experience their wrath.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I’ve been with Farmers for a year. The policy keeps going up so I canceled and went to a better company and they stole half of my monthly payment. I only used 4 days of it. They have hidden fees. They say that you a month behind instead of ahead. They are thieves. Don’t use them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Had Farmers for years with no incidents, so I didn't know much about their actual coverage. Moved to a new house and within the first week had flood damage and a fence that came down during a storm. I then learned how my brand new insurance actually had a bunch of loopholes where water damage is never covered, and then the estimate for the new fence was $280, so they said it was below my deductible! I don't care how friendly the people were working with me - happily telling me that you have a terrible product that won't actually pay out is still a 1-star rating.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Had a residential burglary and Farmers first refused to pay. The first agent dropped the call after 20 minutes and never called back. The second agent transferred to another agent. The third transferred back to the second and the second has yet to call. It's been a month so far.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I was with Farmers for 25 years and generally had a good experience with a good agent. I filed 2-3 minor auto claims and one large house claim. They handled these to my satisfaction. However, when my agent retired, I discovered they automatically assigned me to a new agent, who I did not prefer. After 4 months and several requests, they did not communicate with me nor would let me pick my own agent, closer to my home. Shouldn't a paying customer be able to pick their OWN AGENT? So, I terminated my contracts and moved to a new company. I just don't get why I can't choose my own dang agent!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

On a Sunday, I rear ended in my 2011 Lincoln MKX while at a stop light. The other driver was in insured and did not have a license. We were forced to have our Lincoln towed to a Salvage yard, since roof line was buckled and everything was pushed up under the rear tires. Farmers insisted to have this vehicle towed to a body shop so they could put it on a lift and inspect for all damage. I work out of state so this all had to be arranged. Subsequently the vehicle was not ever placed on the lift and between Farmers and the body shop they estimated 13k.

Turned out because the frame was bent the total bill was almost 22k. This left us with being married to the vehicle because the damages were more than the vehicle was worth and we could not trade it with this on the title. After Two years of arguing Farmers still refused to pay for the devaluation of the vehicle. I wouldn’t trust Farmers to be fair with any claim! Steer clear of Farmers insurance. They may have seen it but they also are not going to pay it!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Had them for 4 years... never once spoke with my agent until the end. I recently got a new car, and my rates skyrocketed, though I have all the points covered that they rate you on... good credit, homeowner, no claims, nonsmoker, very safe driver. The website wrecked my computer so I had to do snail mail and phone calls. I tried to reason with them about my rates as I am retired. Get this, they signed me up for the lowest deductible WITHOUT EVEN ASKING ME BECAUSE IT WAS MORE MONEY IN THEIR POCKETS, nor did the agent even bother to inform me of the new rates.

Whenever I called, it was obvious the calls were fielded out. When I said I'd never even spoken with my so-called agent, Rodney **, I wondered why. I was told that he was the OFFICE MANAGER. WOWEEE... and always busy with someone. I spoke with 2 different agents, both of whom talked down to me and tried to talk me out of switching to a higher level deductible... talk about micromanaging someone's life and decisions! I informed whoever that I would be looking elsewhere and to inform Rodney ** of same.

Lo and behold, I finally got a call from this jerk, who told me to Go somewhere else, that I didn't have to buy my insurance from him. He talks veeerrryyy slooowwwly and sounds about like a 95-year-old. I have never been treated like this from a lousy car insurance Company and I will be contacting the president of Farmers. After reading pages and pages of horrible reviews I thank God in heaven that I never had to file a claim with them. I know they never would have paid it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I recently purchased an auto policy for just under $700 which is high but the Atlanta market sucks like that. I signed all the documents and everything went fine until the next month when I was charged another $350. I went back to look at the documents I signed and I was shocked to find that all the numbers had changed. I called and they of course said there was nothing they could do cause I electronically signed the documents. I believe that they somehow changed them and took my signature from the ones I really signed. I asked them to pull the recordings from the original conversation and it took them 15 days to come back and say that they could not find the recording. I find this very convenient for them. I suspect that the agent deleted the recording or the company deleted it after I continuously complained.

I mean who would ever pay $1000 for a 6 month auto policy with a clean driving record? I caution anyone to go elsewhere, this company lies, cheats, and steals and then covers it up. I for from now on record all phones calls and screenshot all online legal documents. They can certainly change your documents after you sign them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Just to read the complaints of your own clients I understand now how this adjuster Kelleigh ** is giving her response that is a 50/50; is a nightmare since I have to help to do her job provided pictures how her negligent client hit my car. She is on Oklahoma. I'm in Missouri. How she can give that fraud result, if I take to the police or anyone can see was not my fault. The old men did reverse with his old truck that use for business for being on a hurry without notice we did reverse first. When he was not moving or use the hazard lights as we did. Or used the horn when he hit the side on my car for don't put attention to any of the advice I use before when he hit with his bumper and because his friend or client told her a lie that we hit each other on the sides.

Even a naive seeing the pictures believe that lie. And I regret don't call the police at that moment because I thought was a decent and trusting person. But now I realize the kind of men is. My bumper didn't hit nothing. Anyhow I don't going to stop until I found justice to my case. How this company can have this kind of adjusters in other states to make an accurate decisions.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Shame on you Farmers Auto Insurance. Your client hit and totaled my car that was parked outside my apartment on August 9th, 2018 in Van Nuys California and I have yet to have an adjuster come out to evaluate the car. How dare you and how am I supposed to make a living without my car. My car is only source of income and it's been 5 months I haven't worked and suffers from anxiety over the whole ordeal. Why should I have to wait so long without a compensation because the other parties are disputing who is at fault?! The person that ran underneath my car which is your client who drives the champagne Mercedes is responsible. How much more longer do I have to wait to get back to making a living? This is very frustrating and super ridiculous. You guys need to do something as I am tired of waiting and getting tickets on the badly damaged car outside because of safety violation per the City of Van Nuys.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This company seems to fail at every turn. I was involved in an accident, they automatically assume it was my fault even though the physical evidence clearly showed that I was cut off. Rear right side passenger bumper of other car took impacted my driver side head light. The company totaled my car but tried to shortchange me $1500 valuation.

They provided rental car that I needed to return in a day because of a rental car company error. The rental car company tried to charge/game me for minor scratches that were noted on checkout. Farmers is paying the rental and says it's not our problem. The ethics of their partners is their problem. I tried to log in to pay a bill, and their systems sends an email with a code. The email arrives 10 minutes later and the code expired after 5 minutes. The helpline acts as if it's my fault. I have no problem with email or my internet connection. The company's attitude is just poor all the way around.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

They were charging me for someone else living in the house, making me pay for their car insurance & I refused to and they sent me to collections, so I went to another auto insurance company. I had been with them for years.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have 3 policies with Farmers. This week, my auto insurance was randomly canceled without notification. My agent conveniently does not work on the weekend. So I called the customer service line. They informed me that their system is down and they cannot process a payment. Told me to call back later in the day. Been about 8 hours, now they say to call back tomorrow. Now I'm unable to drive over the weekend meaning I will miss several appointments. So to sum it up: - Canceled my insurance even though I never missed a payment. - Did not notify me that I did not have insurance. - Agent did not respond over the weekend. - Customer service could not help. - System was down over the weekend. - Could not reinstate insurance even though I needed insurance.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Please do not get this company. I was involved in an accident where the other driver was in an illegal lane position and hit me head on and Farmers is making me take 50% fault. The adjuster lied to me multiple times and even said that it's my fault because I should have been looking more carefully. I had multiple police officers say that the accident was not my fault and that my insurance was ripping me off. Please do not get Farmers. They DO NOT have your best interests in mind.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

A self absorbed company with a multi million dollar ad campaign giving the customer a false sense of security while all the time steering their customers to inadequate coverage so you're left holding the bag! Do not believe their slick ads. Yes they cover it BUT NOT MUCH. Arrogant claims suspicious talking medical adjusters. Held 7 policies with them and "Oops you're not covered for that." They do not explain their policies until oops until after the accident then they're happy to tell you how little your coverage is. WARNING USE YOUR OWN DUE diligence to assure you are covered!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

So after 20 yrs I'm without an agent because my agent no longer works for Farmers. I was in need of paying my bill and in Abilene Kansas. I went to the Farmers' office around closing time. The agent Thomas ** unlocked the door and assisted me. That was above and beyond for me. Ma I my because it wasn't a simple process. I now have a new agent. Thomas ** he was patient and professional. Thank you Thomas and thank you Farmers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Been with Farmers for years. Was rear ended in my 2017 Honda Pilot while sitting in traffic and after the other party's insurance company denied fault so I called Farmers. My claims adjuster Garrett ** handled my claim and assured me they'd deal with them on my behalf. I tried to keep in contact but would never get a return call. 6 months later I finally get a hold of someone who could help. It turned out Garrett had left the company and no one was there to pick up my case. Craig ** (**) took over my claim and informed me that the other company was going to take care of the damages. Relieved I got into contact with the at fault's party only to find out that they were still denying my claim. Called back Craig only for him to rudely tell me there was nothing he could do and to just pay my deductible of 1000$.

He said he would see what he could do and that he'd call me back the next day. He then went on vacation. Got in touch with Susie (**) who was much friendlier and she informed me since they dropped the ball that they would waive the 1000$ deductible and repair my car as long as damages were over 1000$. I informed her that I was sure they were not but she reassured me that since my car was new that it would. I got an email saying I had a rental car ready and that everything was set. I took the car in and informed the mechanic of the situation. He said that he doubted, as I did, that the damages were going to exceed 1000$. So I asked to do an estimate first. Something Farmers should have done considering the stipulation. He said Craig should be in touch by day's end. Late the next day I get an email from Craig saying there's nothing they can do to help and that they were closing my case.

Farmers was planning on me doing the repairs and then charge me for the rent a car and repairs which turned out only to be 360$ in damages. Completely unethical. Susie never looked at the pictures of the damages so everything she said regarding the damages being over 1000$ was just a lie to get me off her back. They seem to have zero procedure there and just wing it. I've been with them for ages and this was the first time I needed assistance and it will be the last. I am currently speaking with my lawyer about what can be done. Contacting the Better Business Bureau about the situation and of course leaving Farmers asap. What should have been an open and shut case has become a nightmare full of lies and disappointment.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Farmers insurance is a complete joke! A Farmers insured driver was texting on the phone and ran directly into the rear of my fiances brand new Nissan Rogue. They took responsibility then decided that they were going to handle the claim in a half-** way. The first problem was they wanted to do an estimate over pictures rather than have the body shop inspect the car. While hesitant I said, "Do it." They sent a price quote to my body shop of $800.00 by cutting the labor rates in half and quoting all aftermarket parts.

My vehicle has been on the road less than a year, has a value of $30,000 and didn't have a scratch before the accident. After that, they told me that this was how it works (little do they know I have worked for insurance companies and currently assist in running a Cadillac dealership) and that they go off of the rules they have. Rules state that a vehicle that has a manufacture date of less than 2 year gets OEM parts replaced, not aftermarket. Next, they asked me to use a different body shop (which they are not allowed to ask me to do since I get to choose the body shop I want since they hit me) that would work with their estimates when my shop said they would not. After threatening a lawsuit, they told me to just go through my insurance company (USAA) and they will reimburse them.

Now it's been almost 2 weeks, repairs were approved by USAA for all OEM replacement parts and proper times (estimate to fix was 2x more than the estimate from Farmers) and they are denying me a rental car and told me that I have to pay out of pocket and eventually I will be reimbursed. My insurance company has been trying to call the agent at Farmers and he would not return their call and now I told him my lawyer will be getting involved since they did not want to handle this situation properly or the right way.

If USAA was handling this from the beginning, my car would already be fixed, it would have been done and handled the right way, and it would all be done and over with. Unfortunately, I am now going on the third week with a brand new damaged car and a future lawsuit on my hands. This insurance company is a complete joke!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Farmers is a great insurance company. I was welcomed with excellent customer service as well as a fast and affordable quote which helped me make the decision to switch. I saved 100 dollars by switching companies and that extra money will help me with other expenses. Farmers Insurance is great!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We recently made the switch to Farmers Auto Insurance from another company that we had been with for many, many years. Farmers was so helpful in detailing where we could save money, what we were lacking with our old company and how the transfer process could be done more smoothly. They were very professional throughout and we look forward to many years of coverage with them ahead.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I think Farmers is a good company and it is easy to have an insurance policy with this company. They offer competitive rates and are available to meet most of your auto insurance needs. You should look this company up when you need insurance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I want to complain about so-called 'certified body shops'. I used one after accident and experience is catastrophic. I still think they owe me money for that battery I had to replace myself. I had car accident. Day before that I had car serviced and car service papers did not show any signs of bad batteries. After crash, car did not start. I brought car to 'certified body show' which was "Mikes Autobody", Walnut Creek, Ca, North Broadway. I asked multiple times if they could check electric before fixing car. I they would be unsure about repair results, I wanted to take money and bring to another body shop.

First, I had to sign paper that they do preliminary checks. They estimated ~$300$ and after that they said they can fix car. It took > week to fix it. Then they called and said they fixed body, but car does not start and I had to take it in that condition. I refused reminding them about their initial words. They said they would 'Evaluate electrical issues on dealership', estimated 'evaluation' in ~700$ and saying that if issue with car is not result of accident, I have to pay for repair plus 'evaluation'. They stated, they only fix body, and not mechanical or electrical part (it is pity they did not say that before when I brought car - SCAM! ). I was unsure what to do: after examining similar cases (people say Farmers does not replace batteries, but there was no signs it is battery - it was totally OK before crash, I decided to take car to my mechanic).

It was battery, and based on other's Farmers experience I would pay 800 + replacement for battery by dealership. That is TOTAL SCAM. Keeping in mind I could take money and bring car to another body shop where people do complex work. I also wanted to tell that along the way I was getting unpleasant calls from Farmers' estimator and agent, with all kind of suspicions and assumptions, that electric did not work initially and I faked that problem. Farmers estimator was especially suspicious and rude. STAY AWAY FROM FARMERS. THIS IS TOTAL SCAM. I spent week in arguing, figuring out details of how I could potentially lie to them and listening stupid explanation that 'for 5 y.o. car it is fine to not to start'. Farmers - one solid catastrophy.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance has been good for me overall. It is a good value for the price, and it provides various types of coverage to fit my needs. I've tried a few other insurance companies, and Farmers has been the best of those that I've tried. But, the claims processing was a little stressful and could have been simpler and less stressful, albeit this could have been just the result of a stressful accident situation. Whenever I have needed to talk to them to change coverage or whenever I had a question, the customer service representative were always very friendly and very helpful. They were professional and courteous.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance is a very good auto insurance company. I have been very satisfied with their service and coverage options. I have thankfully only had to file a claim once, but found the experience to be quick and precise and quite positive. I would not hesitate to recommend them although they are generally pricier than other insurance companies.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day that they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents that don't raise your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky