Farmers Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had someone rear end my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee over a year ago. Farmers paid for the repair with no problem. However, under Oregon law you are also entitled to receive compensation for "Diminished Value". An accident will lower the resale value of your vehicle no matter how beautifully the repair was made. That's diminished value (or DV) and you are entitled to compensation for that additional loss. I had two DV estimates done by reputable companies and they both estimated that loss at over $5,000. You pay these companies to do this estimate and you have no idea what they value your loss at until you pay them and see the report. They get paid the same either way so there is no incentive for them to lie or inflate the value of the loss. It's an honest assessment. Farmers came back and said their expert valued the same loss at no more than $2,000. I refused the $2,000 and they came back with $2,250.

I complained that my vehicle suffered structural damage and that $2,250 is ridiculous. They came back with $2,500. This has been dragging on for over a year now and their offer is still less than half of the estimated loss. I chose Farmers because I believed they were a reputable company. This is not what I would have expected from them at all. Their adjuster even had the audacity to tell me my accident wasn't showing on CarFax and suggested I not mention the accident during a sale. I'm required by law to tell the buyer about this accident, especially since it involved structural damage! In fact, if I sold it to a dealership, I'd be required to sign a document of disclosure. Are these the actions of a reputable company? Is this the kind of service you would want to experience? Be your own judge. What good is paying for insurance if they treat you like this when you need them? Do yourself a favor and steer clear off Farmers.

Question? When you have the same auto insurance for 30 plus years at a local office shouldn't they provide the best service and value for your dollar? Here is the issue, I'm retired, I drive maybe 500 miles a year, my record is clean, I have an old Dodge pickup, my policy is for liability and uninsured motorist, with towing. I don't want to pay my premiums 6 months or a year in advance. My budget is done monthly. Why does Farmers penalize people for paying by the month? There isn't any justification for their trumped $5.00 handling fee! Ludicrous! My payments are made by me online with a card. Farmers doesn't do anything. All of my banks have gotten rid of these stupid fees because I do my business paperless. This is nothing but a ripoff of honest, safe drivers. Farmers collects millions of dollars using this bogus charge.

Went down to the local Farmers Ins office in town for a review and to do my updates, asked about this nagging charge and the agent couldn't give me a real explanation. I told the agent, "I do the transaction." There was nothing but a sly smile on their face. Then they asked me about paperless billing and I reminded them that I have been doing paperless billing from the very beginning! Yet they have been sending me all this crap in the mail regardless, then try to use that as an excuse to slap on a fee. And on top of all this the company tries to keep putting me on the Paper statements, as if this will justify the fees they keep imposing on all of us. Ridiculous, the auto insurance have put our elected officials in their pockets to force all of the law abiding citizens to carry auto insurance, but in my area the accidents involving uninsured motorists has skyrocketed.

We all pay for this. You read our local news and the police pull some dude over, they'll have warrants and no insurance, no license. Same person that you see driving around town the next week. So for protection against that I'll pay more, but getting charged these fake fees, let's get on the companies, let them know, we're fed up with paying for their vacations.

Very poor insurance policy. I talked to their agent every week regarding my policy. Their agent and Farmers insurance didn't know what is going. Every month new amount comes up. Sometime 96, sometime 49 and sometime 57. Don't go for Farmers.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Today (11/2/16) I found that I have an overdraft in my bank account. The reason was that Farmers Insurance had billed my account (they have direct withdrawal) $152 instead of the monthly $31 that I was expecting. I called the billing department and was then put on hold (approximately 2-3 minutes) so that I could be connected to a billing representative.

The first person I talked to said they were with billing but then transferred me to another person. I asked why I was being billed the $152 instead of my usual $31 and the person (she called herself "Lou") said that it was because I had previously added another vehicle to my policy in September. I told her that there was a mistake because I had only "considered" adding another vehicle to my policy and I had cancelled that vehicle from my policy the "next day" (my local representatives have a record of the transaction) and the confusion started when I asked the Farmers agent in September "how much it would cost to add another vehicle to my policy" (I was only doing research to see if I wanted to add another vehicle to my policy).

I was never given an answer to why I was billed $152 instead of $31 and the girl (she said her name was Lou - and wouldn't give me a last name) said that she didn't have to listen to the way I was talking to her when I said I was pissed because of Farmers Insurance charging my checking account $152 for a "monthly bill" so she hung up on me. I called my representatives in Washington and was told that they called Farmers Billing and were working to resolve the matter for me. Right now I have an overdraft of $94 on my account and my bank said that I would be charged an extra $30 plus the $94 if my account wasn't repaired in 24 hours.

My auto insurance comes up for renewal November 30. I received a new quote with an increase of over 28%. Zero accidents in my entire life, and no tickets. My agent told me "there's nothing I can do". I phoned another agent who couldn't get into my account, but gave me a customer service number. After being transferred I spoke with Todd who told me that the state of Indiana had an across the board increase of over 28% for ALL Farmers auto customers. I'll be searching for others with Farmers Auto ins to see what their increases are. I'm obviously going elsewhere. Already have 3 quotes under Farmers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

I requested to cancel my insurance on September. I contacted my agent and was told to send a written email and I did but was still billed for two more months. I was told that my bill was to be prorated since it was in the middle of the month and nothing happened and I was still billed the full amount. I then called back to ask why, she then told me I never gave her a specific date so she never cancelled my insurance and told me I had to pay for the two months. I proceeded to ask why she never called back to tell me anything and was told "I assumed you changed your mind" after I called her and emailed that I wanted to cancel my insurance. That was such bs. I would never recommend Farmers. All they want is your money. They don't care about customers.

I originally got my insurance in 2005 through AIG which was offered through my employer, Wells Fargo, at a discounted rate. Eventually it became 21st Century, which was later bought by Farmers. I had an accident in May of this year. While I understand that an at fault accident can affect my premiums, they tried to double it at renewal. In over 11 years, I have only had one claim which was a windshield chip repair. I've paid more money into Farmers than the accident even cost them. I will say that they handled my claim very quickly and efficiently, but I still don't feel like I deserved to have my insurance doubled.

So I guess Farmers Insurance doesn't like making contact with the people their customers hit. I had been trying to reach Todd ** leaving voicemails and never received any sort of response. I was in a hit and run with one of their clients, I was able to get their license, a description of how they looked and even the model of truck. I filed a police report. And took all necessary steps. Then all of a sudden without hearing from Todd my claim was closed out because their client's vehicle didn't have any damage... Well no ** Sherlock he has a big truck compared to my small car.

Then Todd finally answers and has the nerve to tell me if I got video of the hit? Ummm... First I'm in my car, second it was a hit out of nowhere, third he took off asap. Todd do you have any brains at all? He was so disrespectful but makes sense after reading all these reviews. Sadly when you work for a company like this you should be more trained on how to handle claims and speaking to not only your customers but the victims of the accidents. I guess Farmers just hires people who need a job and don't give them the appropriate training on how to handle these kinds of situations. If you're a customer they're only looking to take your money and if you're a victim of an accident be ready to pay for your own losses. Beware if you ever get into an accident, it's pointless speaking to that no good for nothing company. Lol. Remember don't deal with Todd **. He's an ** just waiting for a check at the end of the day.

Farmers Insurance has been the worst experience of my life. I was sideswiped by one of their client who was ticketed for the accident. I was traveling eastbound in the curb lane at the posted speed limit. The Farmers client made an illegal left turn into the center lane of the same street as me and then abruptly made a lane change into my rear driver's side door. The Farmer's customer raced through an expired left turn arrow and lost control of his vehicle due to excessive speed. Farmers lied and said I turned right on red which is patently false. What happened was their client made an illegal left turn AFTER the left turn arrow expired and then about 5-6 car lengths down the road struck my vehicle. Suffice it to say, Farmers Insurance are liars, cheats and swindlers.

I would NEVER recommend Farmers Insurance to anyone. Lies lead to more lies. Small lies become big lies. If Farmers is so willing to tell lies then they will lie to their victims and ultimately their customers. Farmers Insurance company cannot be trusted and pray that you never have to deal with them. They are crooked and some of the most dishonest and untrustworthy people on earth. BUYER BEWARE!!

I was hit in my brand new Tesla Model X by a Farmers insured, who admitted complete fault. I sent my claim through Farmers. It took over 9 days (and counting) for them to send an adjustor out. They initially told me I would be entitled by law to rent an equal vehicle, but since there are no available Model X for rent, they stated on multiple occasions I would get a Tesla Model S. After days of going back and forth with Farmers and Enterprise, I was told I could not get a Tesla after all, and they offered a "comparable" SUV.

There is no comparable car to a Tesla, and to give me an SUV defeats the purpose of owning an electric car in the first place. The Santa Fe they promised is a gas guzzler and a pollution machine. Both reasons why I drive a Tesla and not a car like that. After 9 days I still do not have the rental, and the adjustor had not showed up. Farmers is run by lying, incompetent people that do not care about their customers nor the people their customers hit on the road. This story is not over... I will be back for more.

I came from AAA insurance for both my home. Matthew ** from Farmers after getting quote calls me saying I can save money if I go with Farmers. I check them out, read the reviews like you all have with the 5 BIG stars. Plus went with auto insurance as well for the combo discount. Told me the price. I told them I had an accident probably 2 1/2 years ago. They said it was fine, signed the documents, good to go. 4 months later, get a bill in the mail, way higher than usual about 60+ dollars more. Called, talked to a rude person name David **. Said that they took off my safe driver's discount... NOW they took it off? Plus they didn't even notify me. They just billed me, nothing else.

So recap, told them this info long before. They said OK. 3 months pass by, NO word, just a bill and that's it... Called to get clarification, and nothing but rude over the phone... YA definitely going somewhere else, I suggest everyone do the same. I went to state farm, so far so good, even saved 40 more dollars than my quote from Farmers...

I have had auto/home insurance with Farmers for 15 years. With few if any claims I have been responsible for. In all auto related issues concerning disputes my Farmers agent in Santa Rosa consistently took the side of the company. The customer service has gone downhill over the 15 years. Recently my agent informed me I would be paying a increased premium for my Subaru WRX 5door hatchback. He said it was in a "performance/sports car" category. When I requested Farmers policy documentation details indicating a list of "performance/sports car" data it was not provided. When I contacted the Farmers District Manager he also refused to provide the information. I have an outstanding driving record. Assigning an extra insurance premium on my Subaru has nothing to do with my record. Cars do not break the law! People do! The "performance/sports car" category has nothing to do with my driving record.

Farmers Auto Insurance created that category for the purpose of increasing profits for the company. I requested documentation that Farmers would have to provide to the California Department of Insurance in approval of the "performance/sports car" category. Farmers failed to respond or provide information. I now have a formal complaint filed with the Ca. Dept. of Insurance against Farmers for non-disclosure and being in violation of corporate law related to lack of transparency. I would suggest that people never do business with Farmers Auto Insurance company. The complaints against them are substantial.

I've been working with Michael ** from Farmers Insurance for the last 2 weeks and HE'S THE ABSOLUTE WORST. 2 weeks ago one of their insured hit me when he ran a stop sign at an intersection, doing significant damage to my car. The front passenger side was completely bent in, leaving a big gap with an air bubble. I called them and asked them to send someone over to do an estimate and Michael told me they don't usually do that unless the car isn't driveable, that I'd have to go to a shop and have them do it. I tried to explain to him that the car ISN'T driveable, that I just don't feel safe driving it in its current state but he just didn't care and insisted I had to bring it to a shop to get an estimate.

I finally found a shop that could accommodate my schedule and location and they took a look at my car and told me I need to call Farmers and tell them to give me a rental, because this car isn't driveable. Only then did Michael set me up with a rental. After I got my rental from Enterprise, they told me that Farmers refused to cover my damage waiver on the rental because my insurance already covers a lot of that. I called Michael and asked that Farmers cover my damage waiver and surprise surprise, he said they don't usually do that. I pointed out that the accident was 100% their driver's fault and he said OK, they'll cover my damage waiver but first I have to get my insurance company to fax them a copy of my declaration.

I spent the next 2 days running around making sure all the appropriate documents were sent over (with Michael giving me the runaround repeatedly), and finally he called me and informed me that they won't be covering my damage waiver because my own insurance company already covers a lot of that. I'm so appalled at the way Farmers has treated me. They've just made everything as difficult for me as possible, and Michael is all smiles and politeness on the surface but really has no sense of decency whatsoever. He's not even professional by auto-insurance standards. (And that's saying a lot!) If I incur any financial damages from this experience I fully plan to sue them.

I switched to Farmers several years ago because State Farm wouldn't pay a claim on my house that my neighbors, who had other insurance companies, got paid for with the same damage. My son had a small at fault accident a couple of years ago, and I also had an at fault accident a year ago. Our rates went up slightly, but minimally. For the few preceding years, our rates stayed the same. We shop rates every year, and Farmers has come in number one every time. Sometimes they're close, but always the best price. I have a house and 4 vehicles on our policy.

Having been with Farmers Insurance for less than a year, I have already had half a dozen bad experiences. Most recently, my Homeowners Policy was somehow cancelled. The mistake was recognize, and promises were made to reconcile the issue. A month later, I received a final notice from my mortgage company stating that no action had yet been taken. Farmers has been derelict in their responsibilities. I signed up with the understanding that I would have a personal agent, close by. That has not been the case. The auto policy was supposed to be cheaper than what I had been paying. After signing up and cancelling my auto policy, it turned out the underwriter disagreed with the agent and we had to make changes. It has been nothing but one nightmare after another. After it was too late, my wife did a study. It turns out, Farmers Insurance has one of the lowest customer satisfaction ratings in the country.

I have had a terrible experience with Farmers. On a home policy, they refused to pick up the bill when my car was broken into the driveway. Turns out, my girlfriend didn't have my name on the house policy... but I was living there and not a visitor... so they denied a claim when I lost a $4,000 camera. It's like they do anything not to pay. I'm dumping them asap.

Had a house fire. 2 days later I still have not heard from my insurance adjuster. I have called the claims # to start a claim, I was told the ins. adjuster would contact me asap... This never happened, so I call again and get the same runaround. Call a 3rd time and they give me more runaround and tell me I have to call the adjuster myself, so I did, no answer and no callback!!! I have no power in my home. I'm living wherever I can, even staying in my house with all the bad smoke fumes etc... I cannot believe that Farmers ins. has put this off like they have, for goodness sakes!!! It is my home. I have insurance and cannot get an adjuster to come here and do what is needed to get my home back in order!!! For shame on this company.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Farmers Insurance has gotten back to me, and they have resolved my car situation. Their service has been beyond expectations. Thanks, Farmers Insurance!

Ernesto of Maricopa, AZ on

Original Review

It is incredible that after our accident on Saturday, Farmers put us on hold, and we are stuck in the house. We can't do anything until the Claims Representative returns from Labor Day's weekend on Tuesday, can't Farmers Insurance have someone else to assist us in the meantime? We don't have a second car. Therefore, we are stuck in our house; we can't afford a rental. The claim number is **. I still can't believe we are stuck inside our house like this.

Broken windshield. Called in claim. They are pushing me to use unauthentic parts and not use my Toyota shop to fix the broken windshield. I was completely misled by claims and All Star Glass with discouraging information if I do not replace with cheaper non-Prius parts. Very disappointing when you think that I pay them about 4800 per year insurance premiums. HA need a new insurance company.

Farmers ins keeps jacking up your rates. Had no claims. Save over 100$ per month on car ins by switching away for them. If you're with Farmers I'd shop around now. If thinking about Farmers ins they will double your payments in a matter of year or two. I have been driving over 30 yrs. Never had a company take advantage of me so bad.

Was first told that I could not be a customer because I was a tobacco-drug addict. Went away mad, but then joined a tobacco-drug rehab class and finally broke my addiction to the tobacco drug! Hurray Farmers. Thanks for helping me become a normal, tobacco-drug free citizen!

I had an accident during a monsoon kind of rain storm. I was in the middle lane driving correctly for the conditions. Then I went through a flow a water draining off of the roadway that was a three lane highway. When the younger driver came up on the drivers side too fast for conditions and hit the drivers door of the car I was in. After Farmers so called looked into it, they said keep me and boss loses his insurance. As much as he did not want to he had to anyways. Four years on the job plus and Farmers says I need to go. Farmers strong armed my boss into letting me go. They don't like to lose money. If that is the case why are you in the insurance business? Accidents happen. It is life. Deal with it Farmers. So I NEVER will use Farmers insurance. I do not condone strong arm tactics.

My wife just got in an accident about a month ago. Got hit in the back passenger's door next to the rear wheel. I met her at the accident site and try to drive the vehicle to the repair shop could not even get out of the parking lot because the brakes were not working. Called Farmers Insurance. Let them know that they would have to tow the vehicle because it was not drivable with no brakes. They towed the vehicle. Took it to the shop be repaired all the body damage and then told me that the brake problem was an issue before the accident and was not caused by the accident but now all the evidence that could support that position is gone. So I had to pick up my vehicle with no brakes on a trailer. Tow it to a shop to get a new master cylinder put on. So I have a vehicle with brakes before the accident and then after the accident no brakes but then they destroy all the evidence that would support their liability.

My car was hit on the side by another car who had Farmers insurance. Farmers just took the word of the other car that she wasn't moving without checking on my side. No phone call, no email, no letter. Just flat out denied my claim. That is soooo shady. It's in bad faith. And it is soooo frustrating because I only have liability insurance. AAA my insurance says it's not my fault so they don't have to pay. Farmers only paid for their Farmers client because she has comprehensive insurance. That leaves me with my car not repaired the guy who got hit. Farmers need to be investigated by the California Insurance Commission people.

Run as fast as you can! When I finally canceled my insurance due to an excessive new premium this company has decided to charge me for past vehicles I've deleted, also the same vehicle TWICE! When I had canceled they should have owed me over $300 but somehow managed to explain with no proof that I owed them over $250!

I had talked to several different customer service representatives and one representative had even seen that there were SEVERAL faults and multiple vehicles I was being charged for on my policy, he was supposed to look into the problem and call me back. I did receive a message on my answering machine from him but wasn't able to get the call and he had left no phone number or extension number to get back to him. I had called back and then they started saying I was with a sister company called foremost. I then was transferred to that company and they could not find my account. I then proceeded to talk with my local agent who fed me a bunch of **!!! I am extremely upset! Do not EVER GO THROUGH FARMERS!!! Beware!

I had been with Farmers for 10 years for auto insurance. Very rude, unprofessional and they jump their prices up and down as they feel like it. Last year started bombing me with letters and urgent emails that I need to update my yearly mileage. When I went to my agent (Sacramento, CA) he ripped the letter and quietly told me, just pretend like you didn't get this letter. "Farmers just wants to charge you more for driving more" he said. I appreciate his honesty, but really? Is this really the best way to conduct business?

When I had my one and only accident (my fault, total damage $3048) they didn't even care to ask if I'm ok... They down-talked to me like to a total loser (well because they lost money of course). Not what you expect after being a loyal customer for 10 years. When my mom left my policy to go to GEICO, they were very rude to her and threatened her that my policy rate will increase significantly, which it did: from paying $78 went to $124 a month. Are you kidding me??? With GEICO I got the same but more coverage for $74 a month.

I just joined ConsumerAffairs just so I could describe the leeches that are Farmers Home Insurance (I know this is Auto Insurance but probably same issues). Anyway, Farmers will rip you off any chance they get and is part of their strategy to make money and drain the American people for profits. Issue: They did not let me know that they will charge a monthly service fee, and depending on support agent not clear at all on how to avoid this fee. This really should be illegal!

They provide your basic insurance charges without any explanation on "fees". Then they do not provide a clear path to resolve the issue (depending on the support person you get). Please be forewarned to ask allot of questions when signing up and keep a close eye on monthly bills. Honestly, I am seriously worried if I file a claim what Farmers response would be. I have no faith in this company. It makes me sad for our country that these type of insurance systems still exist that really help no one and rob already hurting families.

I switched to Farmers one and half years back. Unfortunately little did I know that their policies were not transparent at all. They hiked my premium in the next couple of months of starting my policy. I have tried to find out whether I am covered if I rent a car for personal/pleasure use... but I have been given different responses by different representatives. Hence, every time I rented a car, I had to take the rental companies insurance to be one the safe side due to lack of clarity. I recently moved from TX to OR, and my premium was jacked up by $100 just because I added another car. I don't have a single ticket in the last 4 years of my driving history. The customer service - Krysta was extremely rude. Beware of this company.

I was the victim. They accepted liability. Now they only want to offer lowball settlements. The Head of Claims Frank ** and the Chief of Claims Keith ** are on all emails and don't bother to look into the matter. They just hand it off. Their Director of California Claims Michele ** has refused to provide me with accurate information. Their Claims Manager Yolanda ** acted in bad faith, and it was caught in a negligent act by me on email. I have written documentation of all of my claims.

I tried to contact their CEO Jeffrey Dailey, he is on several email chains and doesn't bother to respond. I tried contacting him at the corporate office and was told he does not take phone calls. The rep refused to provide me with an alternate email address for Jeffrey Dailey, and then gave me a fake email address for his "Secretary" Maggie **. The rep refused to give me her name or ID number for any reference. At this time consumers should be very aware of the unethical practices at Farmers Insurance.

Run, don't even think about using Farmers for your auto coverage. When I asked them to send me a history of my premium payments, they actually refused, saying I should get a subpoena...?? For my own premium payment record? I switched the same day and went to another company, as well as logged a fraud complaint with NJ Banking and Insurance Dept. Farmers is one BAD insurance co.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.
  • 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day that they need it.
  • Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents that don't raise your premium unless a claim is filed.
  • Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.
  • Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.
  • Best for New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Compare Auto Insurance