Farmers Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been a customer with Farmers for about two years now. I bundled home and auto insurance to get the best deal. Since then, with every renewal my premiums have consistently gone up, for both policies!!! It's ridiculous! I have no claims for either policy! I pay in advance. The only explanation I get is that it is a state wide increase! Lame! None of my friends or family have had this problem! I have had enough!!! Apparently they value the extra money over customer satisfaction. They are really deceiving!!!

I was hit by a tornado December 2015, it took about a year to have the building that was destroyed replaced. I start to replace contents, and I am told since it has been more than a year since the first payment, they will not reimburse me for depreciation held back on contents I hadn't replaced yet, since I took too long to replace items (I had nowhere to put them). I did not try to add to the claim, just get depreciation held back for items already in the claim. Farmers will look for any reason not to pay you

I have been a resident of AZ for four months. Things are slowly getting settled. One of the things I needed to do is acquire auto insurance. I am well aware that the state of Arizona requires all drivers to have auto insurance. That is why I applied for insurance, at Joe ** Farmers insurance. I was GIVEN A CHOICE. As to how I wanted to receive my statements. Internet, text, or paper mailed. I chose paper mailed.

That was not what he wanted. I chose to have my statements sent monthly. He didn't like that either. So, statements come randomly. Very recently I went online at the AZdot website to seek help/information about what I have the power to do about this. I found this agent online posting slanderous statements about me. The statements are gone, but I can't unsee that. Now recently I have been communicating with Rick ** at the Farmer's relations rep. The slander issue has already been swept under his rug too. To the best of my knowledge there is no law that says I have to accept poor, sloppy service.

On my father's behalf. His vehicle stolen 3/16. They found the car in a lake. He has complied with all request. To date 1 1/2 years later he is still making his $360 payment and the car was auction off by yard because Farmers neglected to get it. He's still making his premiums and his car payment! No response from the claims adj Casey **, his Supervisor Kristine or the Manager Andrew **. I feel they have neglected my father and now no one wants to be accountable.

I started with Farmers Aug of 2016 for my auto and homeowners after checking prices and they would save me money from my other company I was with, big mistake. As of this Aug 1 year later my auto insurance went up 30% than when I started. That is 190.00 a year more, My homeowners went up 14% 72.25 more in a year, I have not no claims no late payments. I pay auto every 6 months and my homeowners every year. I will be searching for a new carrier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

I have had a terrible experience with Farmers insurance. I was struck by one of your customers, resulting in a total loss of my vehicle. So far in my claim, the representatives and policies have been awful. My assigned representative, Kyle **, has been difficult to contact and unhelpful with questions. Following initial contact, I have constantly been told "there is an issue with coverage" on the part of the other party. I couldn't get a specific answer.

It took two weeks after the accident for any kind of progress to begin. I had to rent a vehicle out-of-pocket. When the claim finally moved forward, I was referred to an Enterprise branch that would bill Farmers directly. This particular branch wouldn't give me a rental unless I purchased insurance through them, which is not covered with Farmers. At that point, I'd returned my previous rental and was at the Enterprise office with no other ride. If I'm going to be referred a rental agency branch, it shouldn't be one that requires an out-of-pocket expense. This may not be significant for a large company, but I am a college student with no income. This is terrible customer service from management down to the representatives. I am requesting that I receive some kind of compensation, at least reimbursement for out-of-pocket insurance that was required.

After looking at Farmers website, I tried to use the contact page but after 30 minutes of frustration, gave up and just called the number for the Elsinore, CA agent listed. Never got a call back, so I FINALLY called again. He answered his own phone (hmmmm...) and when he realized who I was, it became the weirdest call to a business I had ever engaged in. He was rude, unhelpful and reminded me why I've never used Farmers for a good reason: they have never helped me in any insurance need... EVER! He verified that their website lies about what they even cover!!! I don't know why they are still in business, especially gauging my experience on the moron in Elsinore! If this is who they employ, they are in real trouble. Bump da dump dump, indeed.

I tried getting ahold of my agent and the company to cancel my policy. At first I was just going to take a car off. But after 6 hrs of getting nowhere, I was very annoyed. It's bad the hoops you have to jump through to cancel. And how the agent doesn't call back when before she would call back in minutes. Now more than 36 hrs later I still have not heard from her.

Have not had a great deal of contact (no claims since we have become a consumer) but like being able to talk personally to a representative who appears to understand our needs. However, I do think that pricing needs to be more competitive and discounts more expanded for people w/o claims or long term customers.

Be diligent when shopping for insurance and check reviews for carriers for a while before enrolling. Cheaper is not always better. Had insurance and was going to transfer to new vehicle when they dropped coverage on vehicle I was driving. Got hit by a kid running stop sign. Insurance denied coverage and my vehicle was totaled. Was very upset and went to another company. That company was no better. Allstate did not repair my vehicle satisfactory. At that time agent was disgraceful. Now I have a good agent that works for me.

My wife backed into a low post in a parking lot and dented the right rear of the car. We filed a claim with our collision insurance (21st century) and 2 months later, the insurance premiums cost three times as much as before (tripled)! So filing a claim was cumbersome and slow but eventually successful.

While visiting my daughter the Beaverton, Oregon area, she borrow my car and hit a low stump while backing up in our complex, and when she went to put in a claim to her insurance GEICO, we discovered that the claim had to go thru my insurance company, Farmers. My frustration came when trying to get guidance on who would be the best repair shop to take my car into. No one would make any kind of commitment on whom to take it to. Another matter on the replacement of the car door is that when I purchased my car a year and a half before the accident, I had a special coating on the car to keep the paint looking like new and was not able to find any shop or dealership in the Portland area that could help me. I finally made a decision with help on comparison reviews and paid my deductible.

I feel they should have a good knowledge on the Auto Body repair shops they have approved and could have given some guidance. I will say this, Farmers never once quibbled over the final cost as the passenger door had to be completely replaced as will as the under carriage, all with new parts. The auto body place did all the dealings with Farmers which I am thankful for.

Buying insurance can be a daunting search for the cheapest cost while trying to get the most coverage. We've been with quite a few insurance companies, we were always able to find better coverage elsewhere. When we started with Farmers they always reviewed our policies when it came time for renewals. At those times we would check with other insurance companies to compare rates, no other insurance company could match what we were paying for our coverages. We still check on our coverages and still not one company can cover us for what we are paying at Farmers. We are fortunate to have the agent we are with now. We only have to call for information on our policies, our Farmers agent always makes everything simple and easy.

I filed a claim when my windshield was damaged. Farmers Ins Claims had responded by informing me that I was only covered for $330.00 for replacement on my 2 year old vehicle and I agreed. My windshield from the Dealer was over $900.00 installed. It was a special windshield because of all the options on my vehicle. My agent got Farmers to pay me $819.00 for the windshield from the dealer because I had full coverage on my vehicle, nice, we really appreciated what our agent had done. They even reviewed our policy, gave us better coverage for $160.00 cheaper a year on our policy. We've been with Farmers for over 30 years and every time we check the cost and coverage with other insurance companies, they could never give us the same coverage for what we are paying at Farmers. We feel very fortunate.

Farmers is the worst insurance company ever, I wish I could give them no star. This is joke. I have been with Progressive which I thought was okay and then GEICO that was far better in customer service and pricing that I really liked. I moved to these scammers ** head Farmers Insurance few months ago after I bought a house and somehow was looking for a home insurance and I ended up switching my auto to them also. Biggest mistake. They are very rude, they don't return your calls or emails, they don't care how long you wait and they just not what you will expect from a tradition insurance as I have had with GEICO and Progressive.

It's been weeks and half and my I have not still gotten my in the shop. My car was scratched on the door by an unknown person or car and I called it in. The claim adjuster took roughly 3 days to get back to me and then went on vacation for days where I was not told nothing. I called her before she went on vacation and she did not get back to me even after she got back. I called her and her supervisor all the time and did not hear nothing back. The adjuster name was **. When I called customer service they told me that the inspector was busy with other work before me and did not have time to see my car until the following week. Are you serious, you telling me that you only have one inspector for an entire state that will serve me when she is free.

GEICO and Progressive that I have with have someone there the next day or so. All of the money I pay for my insurance on time and every month that they only have limited people working. It is too stupid to even believe. Then they have a private inspector to call me to ask questions. This guy keep stalking me going to all of my addresses looking to talk to me and going to my girlfriend house to do some detective work. I'm not sure what work he is doing if the car was only scratched on the street by an unknown. I still have not have my car look at as of now. Stay away.

A car in front of me hit a tire in the road and knocked out my headlight. My insurance broker was very helpful. I'm getting a rental till it's fixed. Then we are lowering my deductible and it's only costing me 1.00 more a month for a 100 deductible. Farmers Auto have always been good to me. However, they could be a little cheaper.

It's easy to submit a claim, but it's hard to get paid. First it's insurance. Second when you file a claim they make you feel guilty for using it. Hard to deal with same person twice. Not my ideal company. They boast about customer service, but that's only when you pay your bill.

Farmers vigorously defended us against the bogus claim! A small claim, bumper hit while parking. However fees keep increasing despite lack of any claims. Waiting for more opportune time to switch to other insurance; friend had bad experience with Farmers' legal division on a claim settlement with another Farmers' insured.

Been with them for years. My family as a whole has been Farmers customers, multi-generational. We stay because the stellar customer service but not so much the price. So if you're looking for cheap insurance. This isn't the company but what you will get is a agent that almost becomes part of the family.

Getting into an accident is not fun but Farmers Auto is a good insurance company. I call, they listen and are very willing to work us. They help you through it. I just called my insurance person and they gave me the number to call and they asked me who I was going to use. Between the repair shop and the insurance company and me we got everything done on the car.

My engine went out on car and I was thinking Farmers Insurance. I talk to the guy at Farmers and I remember the engine freezing up. The guy at Farmers my agent had documents that are confusion. I don't have them documents now that someone taken them alone with my computer and other important paper work so Farmers will not be a insurance I get again. I said to the guy it shows on contract my insurance covers engines, body work etc that others have done to my car. If I did it then I would agree with agent on phone. So Farmers gets a 1 PERIOD for misleading information in contract where it was clear that as long as I did not the one put water or other in my oil to make engine bad and I did not. Bottom line it was done because I would not give people free rides. Might sound funny yet 100% truth.

It's a great insurance, but some agents don't have time for you. Also it's very pricey not only due to your record but also, depending on your city and states, prices may vary.

It took me some research to find Farmers Insurance and their very reasonable rates that they offered. When my husband and I took a driver safety course at the library to reduce our rates and to improve our driving skills, I faxed in the certificates verifying that we had completed the course. I contacted Farmers Insurance a week later to verify receipt of same. They had indeed receive them only to tell me that we were only saving $1.28 off of our premiums! I knew this couldn't be right because I was under the impression that we were to save 10 percent off our premiums. Luckily, after a few more moments of holding time, that was straightened out.

Farmers is more reasonable than other auto insurance companies, particularly for imperfect drivers. I've managed to save some money off of our premiums by setting up payment on auto pay. It took a while to get some answers from them. A lot of times I couldn't get through to my local agent, and processing claims took a couple of hours of calling back-and-forth, but the representatives we spoke with were very courteous and professional and it went pretty seamlessly. Farmers Insurance is still awaiting a response from the other party to pay their portion of the responsibility for the claim.

I filed a claim against a Farmers' customer because she backed into my car. I was told within 1 business day I would be contacted. 36 hours later I called in and my claim was transferred to another agent. I was told by the first agent that they are too busy. After speaking with the second agent, Tammy, she said she was busy and was my responsibility to keep my damages in line and I could file a claim against my own insurance. I told her that her customer backed into my car and broke out a tail light. Tammy said again that I can have the car fixed myself. If you have a claim with Farmers, please be aware of the lack of service that they provide.

On March 28th, 2017 I was rear-ended and the other insured driver has Farmers Insurance. The police crash report was available the same day so I started a claim with his insurance and emailed the claim. Mind you I was leaving on a cruise from Florida on April 5th, 2017 and would need a vehicle to drive from my hometown of Gainesville, GA to Florida so I was really needing to get this going hoping they would provide me with a rental care. Luckily my vehicle was driveable. I waited until March 30th, 2017 to call Farmers to see what was going on with the claim and if it was even started. I explained what happened to the agent and my need for a speedy process due to my trip but my agent wasn't at all helpful. She only told me that she reached out to the insured and cannot go further until he returns her call. I called again for the next day for update and my agent was out of town.

I left for Florida and called again after I returned from my cruise on April 5th, 2017 and again my agent was out of town and unsure when she would return. I downloaded the app to help with the claim process and was estimated damage of $3,723.74, when I took my vehicle to a garage for an estimate it was over $6000. Once Farmers gave me the estimate they sent a check in the mail. I called and told my agent that I had it inspected myself and it was over $6000 and the check they were sending me for $3,723.74 wasn't even half of what damage was estimated.

Once I told her I was going to their preferred collision repair she changed her tone and called the garage and got me set up for repairs. Again, I had to wait to get repairs, my agent was always out of the office and didn't listen to anything that I had to say, she didn't explain anything and even when I had questions she wouldn't answer them and was very unpleasant and then to get rid of me sent me a check that was WAY under what the actual cost of repairs were. The actual cost of repairs was over $8,000. I have received no follow up calls. Of course I didn't have a choice but to work with them and maybe because I wasn't their customer and paying them but I hope I will not have to deal with them ever again!

Ok a few years ago I had an accident. The driver at fault didn't have insurance so Farmers supposed to fix my car. I went into a wall. Total damage cost 9256.00. I pay 15000 for the car. The airbag didn't deploy. Not sure why. Maybe a Gm issue, they didn't total the car because they put a whole bunch of used parts on the car and I wasn't aware, I am much more knowledgeable today. Anyways long story short I pick up the car on my way home, service light comes on and Celeste from Arrigo told me to meet her at Firestone. Of course the light went away, about a month later same thing happen and she saying, "It's not a big deal. Take it anywhere. They can remove it."

Ever since the accident my car have never been the same. I was scam! Airbag service light comes on and I keep on questioning. Sometimes I press info button it goes away and now it's on permanently. At the time of repair I was assured by Daniel who works for Farmers anything goes wrong will be covered under warranty. Unfortunately they are now making excuses as to not covered! Take it to Gm. They say it is from accident, then I pay for the inspection and they are saying the parts were used up to manufacture standard!! PLEASE DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE. SCAMMERS and con artist.

October 13, 2010 I was rear-ended at stoplight by a lady (also Farmers-insured). My Honda got totaled and I now know what whiplash is. Couple years later after epidural Injections, etc. I had to sue Farmers to pay for medical bills. Their attorney was beyond rude treating me like a criminal. Farmers gave me $1,100.00 for my pain and suffering. They never paid rental car $900.00, my Honda I had just spent over $1,200, (gas was almost $5 gallon) lowballed me $920.00. What I did for the extra $20.00 was ridiculous. My lawyer made up the difference and gave me $5,000. Because I needed to buy a car.

On October 17, 2013. I was turning left into a driveway and was again rear-ended. 18 gallons of water went all over the road, it broke my car seatback. Totaled my Exploder. Concussion, bruised L shoulder (lump head/shoulder bruise lasted 3 mos.) and the 50 mph impact spot on my R lower back that I will live with forever. I'm having to sue them again! They want to settle for $14,000. Which won't cover medical lien or for care I'm receiving 3 years later. They refused a rental car saying I did not have it in my policy (I did!). Do you know how hard it is to buy a car sight unseen, they didn't care. 6 weeks of hell being stranded, couldn't grocery shop, do med appts., while lowballing the Exploder they deducted for the new tires I had just gotten 3 weeks prior! They haven't even reimbursed me for towing the car, yes I have roadside service... I guess I'm an idiot for staying with Farmers after getting lowballed 1st time.

Wish me luck that I don't get another browbeating at my arbitration in a few weeks. Please do not go with Farmers, they really shouldn't sell insurance, seriously!!! FYI We never made a late payment, ever and had them for over ten years. Oh, if I lose at arbitration I will have to pay for all medical, my lawyer and theirs also!! Threats that make you a bit nervous don't you think!! Farmers has me in hell once more. Coverage and policy, they just do not get it... uninsured motorist, medical coverage up to $100,000, rental car policy, roadside service, fair car value, they have not honored any. Pain & suffering they say preexisting condition. I had none, my back was fine before this collision. Wish me luck...

After having insurance with Farmers for 36 years we found that other insurance companies were cheaper for the same coverage. We ask our agent to review our rates and told because we were not new customers there was nothing he could do for us. So of course we had to change companies. We still have some house insurance with our Farmers agent only because we like him so much, and he is so helpful. If he ever moves to another company we will be going with him.

This folks charge for inquiring about the quote. You have to be very careful about this. I was inquiring for a quote. I didn't like their quote. They activate my policy without my consent. Don't do business with CROWLEY INSURANCE AGENCY LLC. at Farmer Insurance Agent. I called them many times to explain me about this. Every phone call goes to an voicemail. 877-327-6392. Contacted customer service they were not helpful. Finally, after a long effort to contact with someone in customer service I was able to talk with associate name Boltimore. He stated that he will try to cancel this policy. Do a favor yourself and avoid headaches, don't do business with them.

My daughter and granddaughter were passengers in a vehicle covered by Farmer's Insurance that was involved in an accident. My daughter requested that the car seat be replaced due to the accident. Farmer's Insurance representative's reply was "That's not our problem." She got a lawyer and sued. It ended up costing Farmer's much more than if they would have just replaced the car seat. Every time I see those commercials talking about what they have covered, it makes me angry. In my opinion, I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Farmers Insurance is the worst in my opinion is the insurance company in America. Very long registration of the supplement from repair shop. The permit for additional repairs from the insurance representative could not be obtained after two weeks. Representatives of the company simply do not answer calls and messages left. On the demand to provide an official letter on the refusal of payment, silence. Own benefit is the company's goal. Disappointing is the fact that there is no way to complain about the company's employees. Company of crooks who care only about themselves.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.
  • 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day that they need it.
  • Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents that don't raise your premium unless a claim is filed.
  • Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.
  • Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.
  • Best for New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Compare Auto Insurance