Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Farmers Auto Insurance
2.96/5

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

434 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

A self absorbed company with a multi million dollar ad campaign giving the customer a false sense of security while all the time steering their customers to inadequate coverage so you're left holding the bag! Do not believe their slick ads. Yes they cover it BUT NOT MUCH. Arrogant claims suspicious talking medical adjusters. Held 7 policies with them and "Oops you're not covered for that." They do not explain their policies until oops until after the accident then they're happy to tell you how little your coverage is. WARNING USE YOUR OWN DUE diligence to assure you are covered!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

So after 20 yrs I'm without an agent because my agent no longer works for Farmers. I was in need of paying my bill and in Abilene Kansas. I went to the Farmers' office around closing time. The agent Thomas ** unlocked the door and assisted me. That was above and beyond for me. Ma I my because it wasn't a simple process. I now have a new agent. Thomas ** he was patient and professional. Thank you Thomas and thank you Farmers.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Been with Farmers for years. Was rear ended in my 2017 Honda Pilot while sitting in traffic and after the other party's insurance company denied fault so I called Farmers. My claims adjuster Garrett ** handled my claim and assured me they'd deal with them on my behalf. I tried to keep in contact but would never get a return call. 6 months later I finally get a hold of someone who could help. It turned out Garrett had left the company and no one was there to pick up my case. Craig ** (**) took over my claim and informed me that the other company was going to take care of the damages. Relieved I got into contact with the at fault's party only to find out that they were still denying my claim. Called back Craig only for him to rudely tell me there was nothing he could do and to just pay my deductible of 1000$.

He said he would see what he could do and that he'd call me back the next day. He then went on vacation. Got in touch with Susie (**) who was much friendlier and she informed me since they dropped the ball that they would waive the 1000$ deductible and repair my car as long as damages were over 1000$. I informed her that I was sure they were not but she reassured me that since my car was new that it would. I got an email saying I had a rental car ready and that everything was set. I took the car in and informed the mechanic of the situation. He said that he doubted, as I did, that the damages were going to exceed 1000$. So I asked to do an estimate first. Something Farmers should have done considering the stipulation. He said Craig should be in touch by day's end. Late the next day I get an email from Craig saying there's nothing they can do to help and that they were closing my case.

Farmers was planning on me doing the repairs and then charge me for the rent a car and repairs which turned out only to be 360$ in damages. Completely unethical. Susie never looked at the pictures of the damages so everything she said regarding the damages being over 1000$ was just a lie to get me off her back. They seem to have zero procedure there and just wing it. I've been with them for ages and this was the first time I needed assistance and it will be the last. I am currently speaking with my lawyer about what can be done. Contacting the Better Business Bureau about the situation and of course leaving Farmers asap. What should have been an open and shut case has become a nightmare full of lies and disappointment.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Farmers insurance is a complete joke! A Farmers insured driver was texting on the phone and ran directly into the rear of my fiances brand new Nissan Rogue. They took responsibility then decided that they were going to handle the claim in a half-** way. The first problem was they wanted to do an estimate over pictures rather than have the body shop inspect the car. While hesitant I said, "Do it." They sent a price quote to my body shop of $800.00 by cutting the labor rates in half and quoting all aftermarket parts.

My vehicle has been on the road less than a year, has a value of $30,000 and didn't have a scratch before the accident. After that, they told me that this was how it works (little do they know I have worked for insurance companies and currently assist in running a Cadillac dealership) and that they go off of the rules they have. Rules state that a vehicle that has a manufacture date of less than 2 year gets OEM parts replaced, not aftermarket. Next, they asked me to use a different body shop (which they are not allowed to ask me to do since I get to choose the body shop I want since they hit me) that would work with their estimates when my shop said they would not. After threatening a lawsuit, they told me to just go through my insurance company (USAA) and they will reimburse them.

Now it's been almost 2 weeks, repairs were approved by USAA for all OEM replacement parts and proper times (estimate to fix was 2x more than the estimate from Farmers) and they are denying me a rental car and told me that I have to pay out of pocket and eventually I will be reimbursed. My insurance company has been trying to call the agent at Farmers and he would not return their call and now I told him my lawyer will be getting involved since they did not want to handle this situation properly or the right way.

If USAA was handling this from the beginning, my car would already be fixed, it would have been done and handled the right way, and it would all be done and over with. Unfortunately, I am now going on the third week with a brand new damaged car and a future lawsuit on my hands. This insurance company is a complete joke!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Farmers is a great insurance company. I was welcomed with excellent customer service as well as a fast and affordable quote which helped me make the decision to switch. I saved 100 dollars by switching companies and that extra money will help me with other expenses. Farmers Insurance is great!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

We recently made the switch to Farmers Auto Insurance from another company that we had been with for many, many years. Farmers was so helpful in detailing where we could save money, what we were lacking with our old company and how the transfer process could be done more smoothly. They were very professional throughout and we look forward to many years of coverage with them ahead.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I think Farmers is a good company and it is easy to have an insurance policy with this company. They offer competitive rates and are available to meet most of your auto insurance needs. You should look this company up when you need insurance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I want to complain about so-called 'certified body shops'. I used one after accident and experience is catastrophic. I still think they owe me money for that battery I had to replace myself. I had car accident. Day before that I had car serviced and car service papers did not show any signs of bad batteries. After crash, car did not start. I brought car to 'certified body show' which was "Mikes Autobody", Walnut Creek, Ca, North Broadway. I asked multiple times if they could check electric before fixing car. I they would be unsure about repair results, I wanted to take money and bring to another body shop.

First, I had to sign paper that they do preliminary checks. They estimated ~$300$ and after that they said they can fix car. It took > week to fix it. Then they called and said they fixed body, but car does not start and I had to take it in that condition. I refused reminding them about their initial words. They said they would 'Evaluate electrical issues on dealership', estimated 'evaluation' in ~700$ and saying that if issue with car is not result of accident, I have to pay for repair plus 'evaluation'. They stated, they only fix body, and not mechanical or electrical part (it is pity they did not say that before when I brought car - SCAM! ). I was unsure what to do: after examining similar cases (people say Farmers does not replace batteries, but there was no signs it is battery - it was totally OK before crash, I decided to take car to my mechanic).

It was battery, and based on other's Farmers experience I would pay 800 + replacement for battery by dealership. That is TOTAL SCAM. Keeping in mind I could take money and bring car to another body shop where people do complex work. I also wanted to tell that along the way I was getting unpleasant calls from Farmers' estimator and agent, with all kind of suspicions and assumptions, that electric did not work initially and I faked that problem. Farmers estimator was especially suspicious and rude. STAY AWAY FROM FARMERS. THIS IS TOTAL SCAM. I spent week in arguing, figuring out details of how I could potentially lie to them and listening stupid explanation that 'for 5 y.o. car it is fine to not to start'. Farmers - one solid catastrophy.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance has been good for me overall. It is a good value for the price, and it provides various types of coverage to fit my needs. I've tried a few other insurance companies, and Farmers has been the best of those that I've tried. But, the claims processing was a little stressful and could have been simpler and less stressful, albeit this could have been just the result of a stressful accident situation. Whenever I have needed to talk to them to change coverage or whenever I had a question, the customer service representative were always very friendly and very helpful. They were professional and courteous.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance is a very good auto insurance company. I have been very satisfied with their service and coverage options. I have thankfully only had to file a claim once, but found the experience to be quick and precise and quite positive. I would not hesitate to recommend them although they are generally pricier than other insurance companies.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Overall I have had some good experiences with Farmers insurance. The person I deal with most of the time is really nice and takes my questions and concerns seriously. Their insurance is decently priced for the coverage I am getting. Plus I get a few free tows, free door unlocks, and other perks which are also very nice and come in handy. I am getting my money's worth which doesn't always happen with car insurance.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The best thing about the insurance is probably their customer service in my opinion. Every time I've needed help and have called they are always very helpful and polite and I don't want to say would bend over backwards, but just about so. They explain everything in an easy to understand way and get me my answers and needs met pretty quick.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I think that Farmers has done a fine job in helping me get the coverage that I need, or at least the coverage that I desire. The only issue that I have is the price. I currently pay $300 for insurance on one vehicle, a vehicle that isn't known for carrying high insurance rates. It's a shame, but I think that might be the dealbreaker for me.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The Farmers Auto Insurance overall was a okay experience. While the staff and coverage were adequate, I felt that the company itself tended to overcharge on their services. In addition, the company also was quick to raise rates on issues.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Farmers has always been extremely helpful with our auto insurance. We have not had issues with adding classic cars or claims. They work with us to satisfy our needs and do what needs to be done to get us where we need to be.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I've had this insurance ever since I got my driver's license. The company has always been good to me. It has given me discounts and helped me through accidents. The staff that work there have always been very friendly to me. Everyone in my family has insurance from here. If I have kids, I would definitely have them go through this insurance as well. A lot of people in my area trust Farmers Auto Insurance for their car insurance needs. If you are looking for insurance, I would first try them over some of the bigger companies.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Farmers-insured backs into my car, apologizes and give us his Farmers Ins. info. Farmers is now trying their best to DENY/Circumvent, or pass the blame on their own insured/client, accusing him driving for Lyft/Uber at the time of accident. There was "NO" display of either on his car which is required while working. Farmers-insured had a friend in the car at the time and was visiting an adjacent building near my residence. This claim was filed 4 weeks ago. Glad I document and record everything. Sent pictures and estimate for $1765.00 of damage 2 weeks ago, still have not resolved claim. I've contacted them 7 times trying to resolve this and it’s the same sorry excuse to prolong claim, "We are investigating"! Farmers client stated to me and Farmers, he was not doing Lyft or Uber at the time of incident 4 weeks ago! My Claim was 9-24-2018, still waiting! LAWYER TIME! Small Claims.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I really like my insurance company. Farmers Auto Insurance has never done anything wrong anytime I have ever called them for anything. There have been times when I needed to call and get a statement sent again or any time I have a question for them and the clerks have always been really nice and helpful over the phone. They have been prompt with dealing with my issues and been great with explaining things to me about my account. They are also very very considerate with anything that I need. Even the one time that my payment was a month late and they told me "No issues!" on the payment being late and marked it as paid and just told me to pay the next month. I love them!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I hate insurance. I pay so much and get back so little. It is more expensive now. I have not made many claims other than broken glass and it was handled well but what a price to pay for small thing like that.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The company in Oklahoma is awful. They employ the trashiest claims adjusters. They literally find the slimiest most morally bankrupt people they can. I can't even believe these people are employed ANYWHERE. My family was hit by one of their drivers head on. The ridiculous tactics they have used to delay paying the claim would be laughable if we hadn't almost died. I have heard horrible things about this company but would have never imagined they would be this disgusting. Children were injured and instead of honestly helping, their adjusters are manipulating the situation and trying to create more stress to avoid paying a single dime.

They have falsified signed documents, 'lost' medical records, anything they can do to stall the claim. Do yourself a favor and get an attorney early on. The things my attorney has uncovered are shocking. Their adjusters are very dishonest and will do anything to receive their 'bonuses' which I am told are as low as $50 and a pizza party. Yes... a pizza party. They have put a good family through hell in efforts to win a pizza party.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Well, I have been told how terrible this Insurance company is, my recent experience is a proof. I am so speechless to hear from a Farmers agent that my claim will not be covered by them going by their review after their client damaged my vehicle. Prior to my experience, my colleague had told us how Farmers told him he was drunk during an accident where their client accepted fault. My colleague was returning from work at 3:30 PM. Only a court case proved them wrong and my coworker was finally paid for his vehicle damage. Well, in my case, I still will not say much even after they had refused to review the video from the surveillance camera right at the place of incident. We are going to court too. Seems like Farmers insurance will hurt their own clients and also non-clients. The only way to get them to cover what they are paid for is legal case.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I signed on with Farmers in 2015 with auto and renters insurance. I could never get online due to my agent incorrectly entering my email. In 2016, I tried to call my agent for 2 weeks, leaving messages. No return call. I even received a postcard in the mail from him, looking for additional business. Finally I called again, phone has been disconnected. He went out of business, and no one bothered to contact me. My account was transferred to another local agent. Received a postcard in the mail from him with his phone number last week. Called this week to cancel my policy, as I am now on my new husband's insurance. Phone was disconnected! So once again, my agent went out of business, and I was not informed. What kind of customer service is this? When I called Farmers corporate, the CSR still had him listed as my agent!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Farmers Insurance offers discounts for "Group - Accountants". After you are signed up to the policy they ask for proof that you are a CPA. People may not be aware but there are many accountants that are not CPA. I am one of them. I pushed back saying that their advertisements are misleading and I even filed a complaint with the California Department of Insurance. After a few weeks, I get a letter from Farmers ignoring my complaint about their misleading advertising and notifying me that I owe them $460.90 for not being a CPA. I find out from the California Department of Insurance that they have no power to regulate or affect discounts. I will be switching insurance carriers and will never again consider Farmers Insurance for any of my insurance business.

Original review: July 24, 2018

It started with the agent filling in my email address improperly, so I couldn't access my account for anything for over 3 weeks. All I received were apologies--no one could figure out the problem. Told me I should change my carrier. Finally solved. Now--I paid for a homeowners policy that began 3/6. I expected to pay my second payment for the annual contract 9/6. BUT, instead they sent an electronic bill to me for payment due on 7/6 which went into SPAM MAIL. So, now I've received a Cancellation notice with a new due date of payment required by 8/6--5 months after my original 6 month payment.

I chatted with two people who could not provide any sort of explanation that was rational. How does one pan for early payments without being told that the company can bill you at their convenience at any time even though a 6 month interval is expected. I have an auto policy with the company and as such the due date for the second part of annual billing is 9/6--6 months after my initial payment. If this so called company can't get their billing right and covers their errors by dishonest explanations, how will they handle a claim. I'm off to GEICO to work with a company that treats customers in a logical, predictable manner, not flying by the seat of their pants.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I am a 64-year-old disabled woman on a fixed income and Farmers is the first insurance company where I can afford FULL coverage on my vehicle. I usually could afford only Liability coverage on my vehicle. Farmers does NOT jack up the cost of my auto insurance when I renew every six months, and I really appreciate that. And they have lots of discounts I can apply to my auto insurance. Everyone at Farmer's is very helpful. If one person doesn't have the answer to my question, they tell me who DOES have the answer.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Personalized service outstanding! Always available for face-to-face meetings. Office personnel helpful, explain all details and answer all questions clearly. Enjoyable experience dealing with Farmers. Thankfully no claims. I have auto and home insurance with Farmers now.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Simply great service from my agent and staff! We purchased a new vehicle and required quite the maneuvering of policy and limits. Bethany really went above and beyond to assist us. I checked with several insurance companies and not only was Farmers the best rate but I cannot say enough about the exceptional service. They have safety and confidence.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I called Farmers to switch from my current company. They came out, I filled out forms, they gathered information and all was good; so I thought. They told me to cancel my current insurance company (Erie Ins) by the 25th of the month; which I did. When I noticed no premiums being drafted from my checking account, I called my new agent at Farmers. I got the shocking news that they never picked me up as a policyholder and I did not have any insurance on my home the last several weeks!

I was shocked, insulted and angry that I could have lost everything and would have been in a tangled mess with no insurance! I asked my agent "why" she never called me and she fumbled around and said they were just reaching out to the area (Crawford County) and insurance was not available yet in my area! After all their paperwork, pictures and rail installation required before they could insure me; they never did and never, never sent me one notice! Poor communication. Poor public relations, cute commercials.

Original review: July 10, 2018

The person we deal with, JR at Farmers is great, however, not happy with them raising the rates so much. Every 6 months they raise my policy. We don't drink, don't smoke and over 65 with zero tickets, zero wrecks. I cannot believe this. I am fed up with that portion of this company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Submitted a claim for a violent accident caused by reckless driving and running of the red light by a Farmer's insured. Police report cites their insured for running a red light. She drove her car literally into the driver's side window, her grill and front end coming through the window at my head and shoulders. Farmers has treated me like I was at fault, a nuisance, not deserving of compensation and told me the accident "wasn't that bad". They employ predatory practices, such as encouraging the victims to "come in and negotiate in person". They take advantage of the victim's losses and use that to deny the victims a reasonable reimbursement. It is a dirty company, and probably a dirty industry.

Farmers expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Farmers Auto Insurance is one of the oldest operating auto insurance company in America. The company is based in Los Angeles, CA, but it offers insurance across the U.S.

• Free fast quote: Farmers offers customers the ability to enter their information and get a free quote online, so they can know how much they would expect to pay for coverage.

• 24-hour customer service: The company provides 24-hour customer service, so customers can receive help any time of day that they need it.

• Additional coverage options: Farmers offers policyholders unique additions to their policies, like Incident Forgiveness, which allows you to have small infractions and incidents that don't raise your premium unless a claim is filed.

• Convenience options: Customers have access to convenient automated and online functions from the company, like automated bill pay, paperless billing and a mobile app.

• Homeowner discounts: Farmers offers homeowners discounts on their auto insurance policies.

• Best for: New drivers, parents who drive children, drivers who just purchased a new car and homeowners who drive.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky