Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Farmers Auto Insurance
2.41/5

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

449 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I've had this insurance ever since I got my driver's license. The company has always been good to me. It has given me discounts and helped me through accidents. The staff that work there have always been very friendly to me. Everyone in my family has insurance from here. If I have kids, I would definitely have them go through this insurance as well. A lot of people in my area trust Farmers Auto Insurance for their car insurance needs. If you are looking for insurance, I would first try them over some of the bigger companies.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Farmers-insured backs into my car, apologizes and give us his Farmers Ins. info. Farmers is now trying their best to DENY/Circumvent, or pass the blame on their own insured/client, accusing him driving for Lyft/Uber at the time of accident. There was "NO" display of either on his car which is required while working. Farmers-insured had a friend in the car at the time and was visiting an adjacent building near my residence. This claim was filed 4 weeks ago. Glad I document and record everything. Sent pictures and estimate for $1765.00 of damage 2 weeks ago, still have not resolved claim. I've contacted them 7 times trying to resolve this and it’s the same sorry excuse to prolong claim, "We are investigating"! Farmers client stated to me and Farmers, he was not doing Lyft or Uber at the time of incident 4 weeks ago! My Claim was 9-24-2018, still waiting! LAWYER TIME! Small Claims.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I really like my insurance company. Farmers Auto Insurance has never done anything wrong anytime I have ever called them for anything. There have been times when I needed to call and get a statement sent again or any time I have a question for them and the clerks have always been really nice and helpful over the phone. They have been prompt with dealing with my issues and been great with explaining things to me about my account. They are also very very considerate with anything that I need. Even the one time that my payment was a month late and they told me "No issues!" on the payment being late and marked it as paid and just told me to pay the next month. I love them!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I hate insurance. I pay so much and get back so little. It is more expensive now. I have not made many claims other than broken glass and it was handled well but what a price to pay for small thing like that.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The company in Oklahoma is awful. They employ the trashiest claims adjusters. They literally find the slimiest most morally bankrupt people they can. I can't even believe these people are employed ANYWHERE. My family was hit by one of their drivers head on. The ridiculous tactics they have used to delay paying the claim would be laughable if we hadn't almost died. I have heard horrible things about this company but would have never imagined they would be this disgusting. Children were injured and instead of honestly helping, their adjusters are manipulating the situation and trying to create more stress to avoid paying a single dime.

They have falsified signed documents, 'lost' medical records, anything they can do to stall the claim. Do yourself a favor and get an attorney early on. The things my attorney has uncovered are shocking. Their adjusters are very dishonest and will do anything to receive their 'bonuses' which I am told are as low as $50 and a pizza party. Yes... a pizza party. They have put a good family through hell in efforts to win a pizza party.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Well, I have been told how terrible this Insurance company is, my recent experience is a proof. I am so speechless to hear from a Farmers agent that my claim will not be covered by them going by their review after their client damaged my vehicle. Prior to my experience, my colleague had told us how Farmers told him he was drunk during an accident where their client accepted fault. My colleague was returning from work at 3:30 PM. Only a court case proved them wrong and my coworker was finally paid for his vehicle damage. Well, in my case, I still will not say much even after they had refused to review the video from the surveillance camera right at the place of incident. We are going to court too. Seems like Farmers insurance will hurt their own clients and also non-clients. The only way to get them to cover what they are paid for is legal case.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I signed on with Farmers in 2015 with auto and renters insurance. I could never get online due to my agent incorrectly entering my email. In 2016, I tried to call my agent for 2 weeks, leaving messages. No return call. I even received a postcard in the mail from him, looking for additional business. Finally I called again, phone has been disconnected. He went out of business, and no one bothered to contact me. My account was transferred to another local agent. Received a postcard in the mail from him with his phone number last week. Called this week to cancel my policy, as I am now on my new husband's insurance. Phone was disconnected! So once again, my agent went out of business, and I was not informed. What kind of customer service is this? When I called Farmers corporate, the CSR still had him listed as my agent!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Farmers Insurance offers discounts for "Group - Accountants". After you are signed up to the policy they ask for proof that you are a CPA. People may not be aware but there are many accountants that are not CPA. I am one of them. I pushed back saying that their advertisements are misleading and I even filed a complaint with the California Department of Insurance. After a few weeks, I get a letter from Farmers ignoring my complaint about their misleading advertising and notifying me that I owe them $460.90 for not being a CPA. I find out from the California Department of Insurance that they have no power to regulate or affect discounts. I will be switching insurance carriers and will never again consider Farmers Insurance for any of my insurance business.

Original review: July 24, 2018

It started with the agent filling in my email address improperly, so I couldn't access my account for anything for over 3 weeks. All I received were apologies--no one could figure out the problem. Told me I should change my carrier. Finally solved. Now--I paid for a homeowners policy that began 3/6. I expected to pay my second payment for the annual contract 9/6. BUT, instead they sent an electronic bill to me for payment due on 7/6 which went into SPAM MAIL. So, now I've received a Cancellation notice with a new due date of payment required by 8/6--5 months after my original 6 month payment.

I chatted with two people who could not provide any sort of explanation that was rational. How does one pan for early payments without being told that the company can bill you at their convenience at any time even though a 6 month interval is expected. I have an auto policy with the company and as such the due date for the second part of annual billing is 9/6--6 months after my initial payment. If this so called company can't get their billing right and covers their errors by dishonest explanations, how will they handle a claim. I'm off to GEICO to work with a company that treats customers in a logical, predictable manner, not flying by the seat of their pants.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I am a 64-year-old disabled woman on a fixed income and Farmers is the first insurance company where I can afford FULL coverage on my vehicle. I usually could afford only Liability coverage on my vehicle. Farmers does NOT jack up the cost of my auto insurance when I renew every six months, and I really appreciate that. And they have lots of discounts I can apply to my auto insurance. Everyone at Farmer's is very helpful. If one person doesn't have the answer to my question, they tell me who DOES have the answer.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Personalized service outstanding! Always available for face-to-face meetings. Office personnel helpful, explain all details and answer all questions clearly. Enjoyable experience dealing with Farmers. Thankfully no claims. I have auto and home insurance with Farmers now.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Simply great service from my agent and staff! We purchased a new vehicle and required quite the maneuvering of policy and limits. Bethany really went above and beyond to assist us. I checked with several insurance companies and not only was Farmers the best rate but I cannot say enough about the exceptional service. They have safety and confidence.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I called Farmers to switch from my current company. They came out, I filled out forms, they gathered information and all was good; so I thought. They told me to cancel my current insurance company (Erie Ins) by the 25th of the month; which I did. When I noticed no premiums being drafted from my checking account, I called my new agent at Farmers. I got the shocking news that they never picked me up as a policyholder and I did not have any insurance on my home the last several weeks!

I was shocked, insulted and angry that I could have lost everything and would have been in a tangled mess with no insurance! I asked my agent "why" she never called me and she fumbled around and said they were just reaching out to the area (Crawford County) and insurance was not available yet in my area! After all their paperwork, pictures and rail installation required before they could insure me; they never did and never, never sent me one notice! Poor communication. Poor public relations, cute commercials.

Original review: July 10, 2018

The person we deal with, JR at Farmers is great, however, not happy with them raising the rates so much. Every 6 months they raise my policy. We don't drink, don't smoke and over 65 with zero tickets, zero wrecks. I cannot believe this. I am fed up with that portion of this company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Submitted a claim for a violent accident caused by reckless driving and running of the red light by a Farmer's insured. Police report cites their insured for running a red light. She drove her car literally into the driver's side window, her grill and front end coming through the window at my head and shoulders. Farmers has treated me like I was at fault, a nuisance, not deserving of compensation and told me the accident "wasn't that bad". They employ predatory practices, such as encouraging the victims to "come in and negotiate in person". They take advantage of the victim's losses and use that to deny the victims a reasonable reimbursement. It is a dirty company, and probably a dirty industry.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Friendly people and always return calls asap. They supplied me with the most reasonable prices for car and home. Came out to view the property while other companies did not.

Original review: June 19, 2018

When we tried to make a claim because our roof was damaged they refused. Our roof is old, our house is old and it was old when we bought it. Because of that...they refuse to help. This insurance company stinks and if you buy an older house because it's charming and sweet, DON'T use this insurance, they don't help at all!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Awesome rates and I could not find another auto insurance provider that could beat their rates. My dad totaled his car and they were very quick to respond and get him his check. However, some of their agents could use a class or two in customer service.

Original review: June 13, 2018

They stopped my accident free discount for 3 years following incident. I was with this company for 45 years! No need for loyalty when I overpay them $1200 a year compared to other Auto Insurers. Discovered half day later my was vandalized/side swiped in Walmart parking lot. And Farmers made me pay the deductible portion. Eventually was paid and Farmers negotiated the price with repair shop. But do your shopping, due diligence.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My son was in an accident with a very nice gentleman who is insured by Farmers. The State Patrol report showed the man at fault and he was cited for failure to yield. I'm not saying he was doing anything bad, he just had a driveway at the top of a hill and was pulling out and blocking the whole road with his truck and trailer when my son topped the hill. The report showed my son had zero contributing factors. It was raining, he was not speeding and had less than 100 feet to stop from the top of the hill to where the man was blocking the road.

Kevin, at Farmers, is in Michigan and he looked at Google Maps in GA and said that it looked like my son had plenty of room to stop. He told my son he should have taken evasive action to the side. The truck and trailer was completely blocking the road, there were 2 foot ditches on each side of the road and he thought my son should put his car in the ditch. He said that he didn't have to go with what the GA State Patrol said, that he could make his own decision. He said my son was 30 percent at fault. When I told him I didn't accept that answer, he threatened me that he would deny the whole claim if I didn't agree right away. He told me that since it was raining and my son drove that road every day, he should have known that something was going to happen.

According to the Insurance Commissioners office, I can sue the other driver for the difference. So if you have Farmers, if you have an accident, they can decide not to pay the claim and the other person could be forced to sue you for the difference on their claim. I will not be doing that, it is not that gentleman's fault that his insurance company does not do the right thing. This is, of course, my opinion but I feel like we were treated unfairly.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Awesome experience, my boyfriend picked them and has had Farmers for years. We haven't really had any accidents. But my boyfriend was able to use his included towing when his alternator went out! I like that the provide a hotel if we break down far away and that they include towing! Farmers has been a great company for us! The only thing they could maybe improve a little on is their prices.

Original review: May 31, 2018

When backing out of my garage, I bumped into my son's parked car. Both of us have Farmers Insurance. Farmers charged us both a deductible under their policy while other insurance carriers waive one of the deductibles in similar fact situations. Online customer help at first said it was illegal to do so in Washington State, then said she wasn't an expert on policy language, then said she didn't sell policies, then she offered to connect me with my agent, but at no time did she point me to a specific policy provision to assist me. Now my son will sue me for the deductible he was charged to fix his parked car as he wasn't at fault. Farmers really sucks if this is the best they can do.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Farmers is Awesome! Purchasing our policy was a breeze, we have an incredible agent who's truly on our side and does whatever he can to assure that things go smoothly for his customers from the initial quote to the final piece of information needed from an accident. Also, customer service is key and Farmers has amazing customer service. I don't care what any insurance company has to offer or what their rates are like, no feature compares to the quality of one's customer service. Like their accident forgiveness too. Luckily, I've never had to use it but in the event I'm in an accident, I like the idea that my rates will not be affected.

But I feel that smaller services like rental vehicles, glass repair, and roadside assistant should be offered to policyholders at no additional cost with each policy. Each of these are services that would not be used regularly and when you are paying higher premiums to get better deductibles, those smaller services are a huge incentive because it's one less thing we have to worry about in the event of an emergency.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have coverage from the Farmer's insurance. It's the only insurance I had since I started driving at 16. I switched from parents to my own, and it was an easy process. Some cars were then added/switched to policies over the phone and then paid for by mail. Most affordable, includes auto, home and life insurance. Friendly staff, you can walk into the office anytime at your convenience if you have any questions or would like to make any changes to your policy, or you can call and they will answer and make any changes that you ask them to make. Also, they mail a new calendar every year, which is nice and a birthday card every year too.

But sometimes I wish they were a little more clear of what each plan covers, what it doesn't cover, so that when there's an accident or something, the process of getting the coverage would be a lot quicker and easier. I also wish the price would go down by a little every year that we stay with them. Other than that, everything seems just like it should be. Happy with the insurance company and we would recommend them to all friends and family!

Original review: May 26, 2018

Farmers Insurance has been our insurance carrier for more than 20 years. It is well and good. We like having a local agent. In addition, his assistant is also very knowledgeable and friendly. But I dislike the rates that go up and up every year. We just don't have the budget for it any longer. I will be evaluating current quotes before renewing next time. I am also currently getting quotes from other agencies.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Filing a claim at Farmers Auto Insurance was very streamlined. Our agent handled everything. They are very personable and dependable. My son's truck was hit, and the person that hit him was very intoxicated. My son had just bought his truck. The other insurance company tried to settle for less than 10% of the damage. Farmers paid the claim and went after the other company and won.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a personalized local agent and access to a 24/7 network online. Quotes for home and auto competitive and I feel I get value for my dollar. Someone stole the rims and tires from my new Denali truck. Filed a claim and had immediate response. Claim was virtually closed as it was opened.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had roadside assistance with my claim, had a flat tire, there were severe limitations with calling and getting help. It took over 1.5 hours to completion, and you could tell the 800 number was outsourced. The person I spoke with on the phone didn't know my city, I told her an intersection, which is an extremely well known... like. I didn't think I would have to have an exact address. She couldn't navigate her computer system to plug in 120th street & Dodge so I had to physically get out of the car in the street, in flats, in winter, walk at 5:30 am in the morning, to get to an address for her to plug in. Not the biggest deal, but it kinda sucked, it was dark, snowing, and frankly was a bit ridiculous to have to do with the technology we have… she was at a computer.

Why she didn’t just pull up Google, and then Omaha 120 & Dodge and ask me if I saw the McDonald's or some other business nearby on the map and then plug that address in? It was strange that it was up to me to trek and seek an address in the dark, alone, and leave my disabled vehicle. Then, the person who came to help, took about an hour to get there. He lived in Plattsmouth, which is fine, but that's a 45 min drive to Omaha. In the snow… What. Why are you coming from Plattsmouth? Is every other contracted person in Omaha not available at 6 am on a Wed? I guess… I called for a tow because I really blew out my tire, and would've preferred to just get it done at a shop and tow it directly there.

I slid into a curb pretty good on the slick roads and bumped and cracked my hubcap eve like. I can change a tire, or I could’ve called someone to help me change a tire. I wanted a tow, because it was snowing, hard, and forecast called for it all day I wanted to get it repaired and a real treaded tire on and fixed. Instead, he said he couldn’t tow me, unless that was the only option. He said he was required to try, to put my donut on, which, it was snowy and cold and dark, and I don’t know how he managed to not lose a finger in the cold. I specifically called for the tow. Not the safest thing to roll around town with a donut on, and a donut is not the greatest thing to have on your car, in winter, when it’s snowing.

I asked for a tow, because where I was, to where the tire shop and where I live is legit more than 100 blocks away and would take 30-40 min to get to in this weather. No, I had to take the donut service and that’s it, the technicians are limited by contract on what they can and can’t provide. I understand that, it wasn’t his fault, but nonetheless it was a ridiculous, frustrating thing to be told after the fact. I waited 2 hours, after calling for a tow, for a guy in a tow truck to put on a donut for me. I used the roadside assistance once more when I had another flat, just honestly because I couldn’t get the lug nuts off. I kept asking if the tech that was coming had an impact wrench/loosener with him, because it’s really stuck, and they kept pausing and saying “they are fully equipped to help with any situation that will occur.”

Like, please. Stop with the canned, typed up by HR answers. Can you actually be a human, send this other human the message that these lug nuts are extremely tight, and this will be a process? I want him to be prepared for this… She said they don’t contact them, it’s just a computer program where you choose from a drop down menu. Then she informed me it would be a 2 to 2 and a half hour or more wait. Uhhhh, no thanks. I got it. I haven’t used it since. I don’t really trust it to actually help. I had tried to add some things like a rental car on my policy, and was met with a lot of "Ohhhh, you want to change your policy, make an appointment to come in and chat with us."

No, I just wanted to add a service, I’m happy with my policy but they were gross and pushy about me physically wasting 3 hours of my day on a sales pitch that I politely declined, Then, I was met with an answer you can’t add services “a la carte” and that the only way to change your policy was through an in person meeting. I declined, thanked them, hung up, and went to farmers.com chat and they did it within 20 minutes. I’ve had 2 claims, one hail and one an accident.

The accident was fairly simple. The other drivers’ fault, no injuries though. It was fine. But it still took ages upon ages for them to let me know that my car was totaled out. I figured it would be as it was 5 years old, and the transmission was hit, but.

I had to wait around for about 2 weeks, then the check they sent (by USPS, not direct deposit. Uh.) Then that check my bank had problems processing. Could’ve been the bank, not saying it was farmers, but it was about a month before the entire thing was resolved. With the hail claim, my “agent” didn’t even contact me. It was some other Farmer’s person from 2 states over, who assessed the damage, and then told me to choose a repair shop. I never got any contact from my local guy following up. There’s just a shady, non-transparency feel you get when dealing with any insurance company. They’re a large conglomerate company like anyone else trying to make a profit. I’ve never felt like an insurance co. actually cares or wants to pay anything out to you.

You have it if something catastrophic happens, the what ifs of life, and so you pay them monthly for that peace of mind. My agent routinely gets my name wrong. He sends me about a quarterly phone call asking me “how’s life?” and if I want to up my life/home insurance with a very wrong first name more funny than anything. They’re pleasant enough to deal with, do their job, toe the line, and very kind people. Customer service was very good. Average value for the cost of what I pay. My policy is pretty limited and I've had one accident, over 5 years ago. But they’re not genuine by any means. Responses and communication received was a little jumbled. Unclear process a lot of the time. Given the seriousness of an accident, the blaze and light, no rushed responses were a little unsettling to experience.

Original review: May 18, 2018

We have been with Farmers in Polson, MT since 2005. We deal with our Local Office here in Polson, MT. All we have to do is give a call to the office and explain what type of policy we need. We have twins that needed car insurance and most recently rental insurance. All we had to do was call our local agent Tracy **. We also have a home in LaPine, OR. It is the same situation. Call the office and explain insurance needed. We have been dealing with Karen ** of the LaPine Office since 2015 for home insurance, vehicle insurance, renters insurance and vehicle insurance for our 19 year old daughter. We have had three vehicle claims which were taken care of quickly without issues. My vehicle totaled and filing claim was as easy as a call to claims. Then it was settled quickly without issues.

Original review: May 17, 2018

At the beginning they offer tow with the plan. I have what is required by law but for some reason they changed and drop the towing part. The towing part was not very good. I use it once and it was some young person with his girlfriend and he did not know what he was doing. I end up getting AAA towing more experience people. And my insurance went up about 10$. There is nothing great about the policy.

Farmers Auto Insurance Company Information