Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
Farmers Auto Insurance
2.21/5

Farmers Auto Insurance

Farmers Insurance offers discounts when you combine your auto policy with another policy from them, but it is not a verified InsuraMatch partner. InsuraMatch provides consumers with quotes from all their partner insurance companies in one short and simple phone call. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Farmer’s Auto Insurance offers a variety of coverage for every stage of a driver’s life. Positive reviewers appreciate the customer service and level of coverage and say that the reliability is worth the potentially higher cost compared with other companies.

PROS

• Roadside assistance available
  • More coverage than competitors
  • Offers add-on options like New Car Replacement and Accident Forgiveness
  • Personalized service and local agents
  • Offers discounts for safe driving, defensive driving courses and more

CONS

• Some customers were charged fees on top of premiums
  • Rates may increase year over year

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

458 Farmers Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I think Farmers is a good company and it is easy to have an insurance policy with this company. They offer competitive rates and are available to meet most of your auto insurance needs. You should look this company up when you need insurance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I want to complain about so-called 'certified body shops'. I used one after accident and experience is catastrophic. I still think they owe me money for that battery I had to replace myself. I had car accident. Day before that I had car serviced and car service papers did not show any signs of bad batteries. After crash, car did not start. I brought car to 'certified body show' which was "Mikes Autobody", Walnut Creek, Ca, North Broadway. I asked multiple times if they could check electric before fixing car. I they would be unsure about repair results, I wanted to take money and bring to another body shop.

First, I had to sign paper that they do preliminary checks. They estimated ~$300$ and after that they said they can fix car. It took > week to fix it. Then they called and said they fixed body, but car does not start and I had to take it in that condition. I refused reminding them about their initial words. They said they would 'Evaluate electrical issues on dealership', estimated 'evaluation' in ~700$ and saying that if issue with car is not result of accident, I have to pay for repair plus 'evaluation'. They stated, they only fix body, and not mechanical or electrical part (it is pity they did not say that before when I brought car - SCAM! ). I was unsure what to do: after examining similar cases (people say Farmers does not replace batteries, but there was no signs it is battery - it was totally OK before crash, I decided to take car to my mechanic).

It was battery, and based on other's Farmers experience I would pay 800 + replacement for battery by dealership. That is TOTAL SCAM. Keeping in mind I could take money and bring car to another body shop where people do complex work. I also wanted to tell that along the way I was getting unpleasant calls from Farmers' estimator and agent, with all kind of suspicions and assumptions, that electric did not work initially and I faked that problem. Farmers estimator was especially suspicious and rude. STAY AWAY FROM FARMERS. THIS IS TOTAL SCAM. I spent week in arguing, figuring out details of how I could potentially lie to them and listening stupid explanation that 'for 5 y.o. car it is fine to not to start'. Farmers - one solid catastrophy.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance has been good for me overall. It is a good value for the price, and it provides various types of coverage to fit my needs. I've tried a few other insurance companies, and Farmers has been the best of those that I've tried. But, the claims processing was a little stressful and could have been simpler and less stressful, albeit this could have been just the result of a stressful accident situation. Whenever I have needed to talk to them to change coverage or whenever I had a question, the customer service representative were always very friendly and very helpful. They were professional and courteous.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Farmers Auto Insurance is a very good auto insurance company. I have been very satisfied with their service and coverage options. I have thankfully only had to file a claim once, but found the experience to be quick and precise and quite positive. I would not hesitate to recommend them although they are generally pricier than other insurance companies.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Overall I have had some good experiences with Farmers insurance. The person I deal with most of the time is really nice and takes my questions and concerns seriously. Their insurance is decently priced for the coverage I am getting. Plus I get a few free tows, free door unlocks, and other perks which are also very nice and come in handy. I am getting my money's worth which doesn't always happen with car insurance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

The best thing about the insurance is probably their customer service in my opinion. Every time I've needed help and have called they are always very helpful and polite and I don't want to say would bend over backwards, but just about so. They explain everything in an easy to understand way and get me my answers and needs met pretty quick.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I think that Farmers has done a fine job in helping me get the coverage that I need, or at least the coverage that I desire. The only issue that I have is the price. I currently pay $300 for insurance on one vehicle, a vehicle that isn't known for carrying high insurance rates. It's a shame, but I think that might be the dealbreaker for me.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

The Farmers Auto Insurance overall was a okay experience. While the staff and coverage were adequate, I felt that the company itself tended to overcharge on their services. In addition, the company also was quick to raise rates on issues.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Farmers has always been extremely helpful with our auto insurance. We have not had issues with adding classic cars or claims. They work with us to satisfy our needs and do what needs to be done to get us where we need to be.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I've had this insurance ever since I got my driver's license. The company has always been good to me. It has given me discounts and helped me through accidents. The staff that work there have always been very friendly to me. Everyone in my family has insurance from here. If I have kids, I would definitely have them go through this insurance as well. A lot of people in my area trust Farmers Auto Insurance for their car insurance needs. If you are looking for insurance, I would first try them over some of the bigger companies.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Farmers-insured backs into my car, apologizes and give us his Farmers Ins. info. Farmers is now trying their best to DENY/Circumvent, or pass the blame on their own insured/client, accusing him driving for Lyft/Uber at the time of accident. There was "NO" display of either on his car which is required while working. Farmers-insured had a friend in the car at the time and was visiting an adjacent building near my residence. This claim was filed 4 weeks ago. Glad I document and record everything. Sent pictures and estimate for $1765.00 of damage 2 weeks ago, still have not resolved claim. I've contacted them 7 times trying to resolve this and it’s the same sorry excuse to prolong claim, "We are investigating"! Farmers client stated to me and Farmers, he was not doing Lyft or Uber at the time of incident 4 weeks ago! My Claim was 9-24-2018, still waiting! LAWYER TIME! Small Claims.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I really like my insurance company. Farmers Auto Insurance has never done anything wrong anytime I have ever called them for anything. There have been times when I needed to call and get a statement sent again or any time I have a question for them and the clerks have always been really nice and helpful over the phone. They have been prompt with dealing with my issues and been great with explaining things to me about my account. They are also very very considerate with anything that I need. Even the one time that my payment was a month late and they told me "No issues!" on the payment being late and marked it as paid and just told me to pay the next month. I love them!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I hate insurance. I pay so much and get back so little. It is more expensive now. I have not made many claims other than broken glass and it was handled well but what a price to pay for small thing like that.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The company in Oklahoma is awful. They employ the trashiest claims adjusters. They literally find the slimiest most morally bankrupt people they can. I can't even believe these people are employed ANYWHERE. My family was hit by one of their drivers head on. The ridiculous tactics they have used to delay paying the claim would be laughable if we hadn't almost died. I have heard horrible things about this company but would have never imagined they would be this disgusting. Children were injured and instead of honestly helping, their adjusters are manipulating the situation and trying to create more stress to avoid paying a single dime.

They have falsified signed documents, 'lost' medical records, anything they can do to stall the claim. Do yourself a favor and get an attorney early on. The things my attorney has uncovered are shocking. Their adjusters are very dishonest and will do anything to receive their 'bonuses' which I am told are as low as $50 and a pizza party. Yes... a pizza party. They have put a good family through hell in efforts to win a pizza party.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Well, I have been told how terrible this Insurance company is, my recent experience is a proof. I am so speechless to hear from a Farmers agent that my claim will not be covered by them going by their review after their client damaged my vehicle. Prior to my experience, my colleague had told us how Farmers told him he was drunk during an accident where their client accepted fault. My colleague was returning from work at 3:30 PM. Only a court case proved them wrong and my coworker was finally paid for his vehicle damage. Well, in my case, I still will not say much even after they had refused to review the video from the surveillance camera right at the place of incident. We are going to court too. Seems like Farmers insurance will hurt their own clients and also non-clients. The only way to get them to cover what they are paid for is legal case.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I signed on with Farmers in 2015 with auto and renters insurance. I could never get online due to my agent incorrectly entering my email. In 2016, I tried to call my agent for 2 weeks, leaving messages. No return call. I even received a postcard in the mail from him, looking for additional business. Finally I called again, phone has been disconnected. He went out of business, and no one bothered to contact me. My account was transferred to another local agent. Received a postcard in the mail from him with his phone number last week. Called this week to cancel my policy, as I am now on my new husband's insurance. Phone was disconnected! So once again, my agent went out of business, and I was not informed. What kind of customer service is this? When I called Farmers corporate, the CSR still had him listed as my agent!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Farmers Insurance offers discounts for "Group - Accountants". After you are signed up to the policy they ask for proof that you are a CPA. People may not be aware but there are many accountants that are not CPA. I am one of them. I pushed back saying that their advertisements are misleading and I even filed a complaint with the California Department of Insurance. After a few weeks, I get a letter from Farmers ignoring my complaint about their misleading advertising and notifying me that I owe them $460.90 for not being a CPA. I find out from the California Department of Insurance that they have no power to regulate or affect discounts. I will be switching insurance carriers and will never again consider Farmers Insurance for any of my insurance business.

Original review: July 24, 2018

It started with the agent filling in my email address improperly, so I couldn't access my account for anything for over 3 weeks. All I received were apologies--no one could figure out the problem. Told me I should change my carrier. Finally solved. Now--I paid for a homeowners policy that began 3/6. I expected to pay my second payment for the annual contract 9/6. BUT, instead they sent an electronic bill to me for payment due on 7/6 which went into SPAM MAIL. So, now I've received a Cancellation notice with a new due date of payment required by 8/6--5 months after my original 6 month payment.

I chatted with two people who could not provide any sort of explanation that was rational. How does one pan for early payments without being told that the company can bill you at their convenience at any time even though a 6 month interval is expected. I have an auto policy with the company and as such the due date for the second part of annual billing is 9/6--6 months after my initial payment. If this so called company can't get their billing right and covers their errors by dishonest explanations, how will they handle a claim. I'm off to GEICO to work with a company that treats customers in a logical, predictable manner, not flying by the seat of their pants.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I am a 64-year-old disabled woman on a fixed income and Farmers is the first insurance company where I can afford FULL coverage on my vehicle. I usually could afford only Liability coverage on my vehicle. Farmers does NOT jack up the cost of my auto insurance when I renew every six months, and I really appreciate that. And they have lots of discounts I can apply to my auto insurance. Everyone at Farmer's is very helpful. If one person doesn't have the answer to my question, they tell me who DOES have the answer.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Personalized service outstanding! Always available for face-to-face meetings. Office personnel helpful, explain all details and answer all questions clearly. Enjoyable experience dealing with Farmers. Thankfully no claims. I have auto and home insurance with Farmers now.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Simply great service from my agent and staff! We purchased a new vehicle and required quite the maneuvering of policy and limits. Bethany really went above and beyond to assist us. I checked with several insurance companies and not only was Farmers the best rate but I cannot say enough about the exceptional service. They have safety and confidence.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I called Farmers to switch from my current company. They came out, I filled out forms, they gathered information and all was good; so I thought. They told me to cancel my current insurance company (Erie Ins) by the 25th of the month; which I did. When I noticed no premiums being drafted from my checking account, I called my new agent at Farmers. I got the shocking news that they never picked me up as a policyholder and I did not have any insurance on my home the last several weeks!

I was shocked, insulted and angry that I could have lost everything and would have been in a tangled mess with no insurance! I asked my agent "why" she never called me and she fumbled around and said they were just reaching out to the area (Crawford County) and insurance was not available yet in my area! After all their paperwork, pictures and rail installation required before they could insure me; they never did and never, never sent me one notice! Poor communication. Poor public relations, cute commercials.

Original review: July 10, 2018

The person we deal with, JR at Farmers is great, however, not happy with them raising the rates so much. Every 6 months they raise my policy. We don't drink, don't smoke and over 65 with zero tickets, zero wrecks. I cannot believe this. I am fed up with that portion of this company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Submitted a claim for a violent accident caused by reckless driving and running of the red light by a Farmer's insured. Police report cites their insured for running a red light. She drove her car literally into the driver's side window, her grill and front end coming through the window at my head and shoulders. Farmers has treated me like I was at fault, a nuisance, not deserving of compensation and told me the accident "wasn't that bad". They employ predatory practices, such as encouraging the victims to "come in and negotiate in person". They take advantage of the victim's losses and use that to deny the victims a reasonable reimbursement. It is a dirty company, and probably a dirty industry.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Friendly people and always return calls asap. They supplied me with the most reasonable prices for car and home. Came out to view the property while other companies did not.

Original review: June 19, 2018

When we tried to make a claim because our roof was damaged they refused. Our roof is old, our house is old and it was old when we bought it. Because of that...they refuse to help. This insurance company stinks and if you buy an older house because it's charming and sweet, DON'T use this insurance, they don't help at all!!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Awesome rates and I could not find another auto insurance provider that could beat their rates. My dad totaled his car and they were very quick to respond and get him his check. However, some of their agents could use a class or two in customer service.

Original review: June 13, 2018

They stopped my accident free discount for 3 years following incident. I was with this company for 45 years! No need for loyalty when I overpay them $1200 a year compared to other Auto Insurers. Discovered half day later my was vandalized/side swiped in Walmart parking lot. And Farmers made me pay the deductible portion. Eventually was paid and Farmers negotiated the price with repair shop. But do your shopping, due diligence.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My son was in an accident with a very nice gentleman who is insured by Farmers. The State Patrol report showed the man at fault and he was cited for failure to yield. I'm not saying he was doing anything bad, he just had a driveway at the top of a hill and was pulling out and blocking the whole road with his truck and trailer when my son topped the hill. The report showed my son had zero contributing factors. It was raining, he was not speeding and had less than 100 feet to stop from the top of the hill to where the man was blocking the road.

Kevin, at Farmers, is in Michigan and he looked at Google Maps in GA and said that it looked like my son had plenty of room to stop. He told my son he should have taken evasive action to the side. The truck and trailer was completely blocking the road, there were 2 foot ditches on each side of the road and he thought my son should put his car in the ditch. He said that he didn't have to go with what the GA State Patrol said, that he could make his own decision. He said my son was 30 percent at fault. When I told him I didn't accept that answer, he threatened me that he would deny the whole claim if I didn't agree right away. He told me that since it was raining and my son drove that road every day, he should have known that something was going to happen.

According to the Insurance Commissioners office, I can sue the other driver for the difference. So if you have Farmers, if you have an accident, they can decide not to pay the claim and the other person could be forced to sue you for the difference on their claim. I will not be doing that, it is not that gentleman's fault that his insurance company does not do the right thing. This is, of course, my opinion but I feel like we were treated unfairly.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Awesome experience, my boyfriend picked them and has had Farmers for years. We haven't really had any accidents. But my boyfriend was able to use his included towing when his alternator went out! I like that the provide a hotel if we break down far away and that they include towing! Farmers has been a great company for us! The only thing they could maybe improve a little on is their prices.

Farmers Auto Insurance Company Information