Find the Best Car Insurance in Pittsburgh, PA
Top 11 Pittsburgh Car Insurance Companies
|EverQuote Insurance Services|
Insurance marketplace with a free online comparison tool for auto, home, renters, life and health insurance quotes. Enter your parameters and get quotes from multiple providers in minutes.
|Allstate Auto Insurance||Read 2,083 Reviews|
AllState became a publicly held insurance company in 1993, though it's been around since the 1930s. It is dedicated to hiring women and minorities in addition to providing appropriate insurance for people from all walks of life.
|Get a Quote|
|State Farm Auto Insurance||Read 3,705 Reviews|
State Farm is the biggest auto insurer in the U.S. and is a top 50 Fortune 500 company. It was founded in 1922 by a farmer, and for nearly a century has tried to bring a sense of neighborliness into the insurance business.
|Acceptance Insurance Pittsburgh||Read Author Review|
Provides free online quotes. Offers eight different types of specialty auto insurance, including high-risk, teenager and bad credit options. Sells motorcycle insurance. Customers make payments and submit claims online.
|Hurley Insurance Brokers||Read Author Review|
Offers digital customer service, including online quotes, text message availability, a 24/7 online portal and digital policy signing. Helps customers in person and on the phone. Works with 12 car insurance carriers.
|Insurance Consultants of Pittsburgh||Read Author Review|
Sells coverage from 15 different insurance carriers. Gives free car insurance quotes and consultations in person or on the phone. Provides online resources for car insurance claims.
|Jack Maggs Agency||Read Author Review|
Offers insurance from six different carriers. Handles title transfers and registrations. Provides car, motorcycle, homeowners, ATV and boat insurance. Call or stop by for a quote.
|McIlrath Insurance Agency||Read Author Review|
Provides car insurance quotes online. Operates as an independent insurance agent in Pittsburgh. Offers insurance for motorcycles, recreational vehicles and watercraft.
|The Clare Agency||Read Author Review|
Offers auto, motorcycle, boat and ATV insurance coverage. Provides car insurance quotes online. Has online bill pay, policy change forms and claims reporting on its website.
|Thompson-Gusic Insurance Group||Read Author Review|
Offers personal and business insurance. Gives discounts for airbags, anti-lock brakes and other safety devices. Provides an online auto insurance quote form for Pennsylvania residents.
|Wagner Agency||Read Author Review|
Provides online quotes from more than 24 insurance carriers. Offers motorcycle, boat and RV insurance as well as auto insurance coverage. Gives discounts for bundling.
Driving in Pittsburgh, PA
Car insurance is mandatory across Pennsylvania, but even if it weren’t, insurance would still be a good idea in Pittsburgh. Drivers here face specific challenges that make many types of car insurance coverage worthwhile.
- Crashes in Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh drivers get into an accident once every six to seven years on average. This statistic means Pittsburgh residents are over 51% more likely to be in a car accident than most Americans. Allegheny County has more car crashes than any other county in Pennsylvania, as well. Taking all this into account, many Pittsburgh residents choose to invest in their car insurance policies beyond the legal minimum.
- Road conditions in Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh averages 41 inches of snowfall a year, though this number varies wildly; some years see just 2 feet of accumulation, while other years have more than 5 feet of snow. These icy conditions make roads slippery and increase accident rates. Plus, the salt the city puts on the roads to prevent accidents winds up deteriorating the streets themselves. Estimates say the city of Pittsburgh repaves about 60 miles of city streets each year, which leads to plenty of construction headaches and still doesn’t do near enough to keep up with poor road conditions. Uneven streets, potholes and construction all cause car accidents and damage, making good car insurance coverage a necessity for anyone living in Pittsburgh.
- Vehicle theft in Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh sees about 700 car thefts a year, which is about the national average. However, car theft is concentrated in areas like Esplen, Elliott, Troy Hill and Hazelwood, and residents of those areas should make sure their car insurance includes enough coverage to replace their vehicle if it’s stolen.
Car insurance quotes in Pittsburgh
Car insurance in Pittsburgh averages between $400 and $2,000 per year, depending on where you live and the coverage you choose. The table below shows typical car insurance premiums for a 30-year-old female in different areas of Pittsburgh.
|Pittsburgh neighborhood||Comprehensive||Liability||State minimum|
|Downtown - 15222||$1,578||$555||$509|
|West Mifflin - 15122||$1,515||$530||$488|
|Troy Hill - 15212||$1,613||$565||$518|
|Brookline - 15226||$1,597||$571||$525|
|McKees Rocks - 15136||$1,484||$512||$471|
|Squirrel Hill - 15217||$1,585||$562||$514|
Yearly premiums also vary depending on your:
- Credit score
- Driving history
- Parking location
Insurance companies use these factors to determine your accident and theft risk, along with the likelihood of you paying your bills.
Minimum auto insurance coverage in Pennsylvania
The minimum legal requirement for car insurance in Pennsylvania is $15,000 for bodily injury per person per accident, $30,000 for bodily injury for all persons per accident and $5,000 for property damage per accident. Check out Pennsylvania's Automobile Insurance Guide for more information.
Someone caught driving without minimum car insurance coverage is subject to a $300 fine and a possible three-month suspension of their vehicle registration and driver’s license. Restoring these after a suspension costs a $176 fee.
Pittsburgh car insurance alternatives
Pennsylvania has options for high-risk drivers who are unable to find an insurer willing to provide them with auto insurance coverage. The Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan helps high-risk drivers stay within state law and work to build trust with an insurance company. Learn more about this program here.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Pittsburgh car insurance company information
Hurley Insurance Brokers is a state-of-the-art insurance agency that offers a fully digital insurance experience. Agents are available when necessary, but the company also provides a 24/7 online portal that handles almost every insurance need. This insurance broker works with companies like Berkshire Hathaway, Travelers and Progressive to insure cars, trucks and other vehicles.
- Address: 3508 Fifth Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Phone: (412) 682-6100
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 5pm
- Website: hurleybrokers.com
Wagner Agency is an insurance broker that works with companies like Chubb, Safeco and Penn National to offer you a variety of insurance options. This company is a one-stop shop for comparing rates and finding the perfect coverage for you and your family. It works with customers to find every possible discount, from driver training and student savings to policy bundling and military discounts.
- Address: 5020 Centre Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Phone: (412) 681-2700
- Hours: M - F: 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Website: wagneragency.com
Jack Maggs Agency employs state-authorized vehicle specialists to sell auto insurance and provide driver licensing and vehicle registration services. The company works with Agency Insurance Company of Maryland, Travelers, Dairyland, Progressive, National General and Bristol West/Foremost to provide vehicle coverage.
- Address: 1700 Saw Mill Run Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15210
- Phone: (412) 884-5800
- Hours: M - F: 9:30am - 7pm; Sat: 9:30am - 4pm
- Website: jackmaggsagency.com
Acceptance Insurance has two Pittsburgh-area offices. Customers can call, go online or visit a local office to receive a car insurance quote. The company provides several online insurance resources for motorists, and it specializes in having the right coverage for all types of drivers.
- Address: 11639 Penn Hills Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15235; Multiple locations
- Phone: (412) 244-1120
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 6pm; Sat: 10am - 5pm
- Website: locations.acceptanceinsurance.com/pa/pittsburgh
McIlrath Insurance Agency is an independent broker that works with Foremost, Safeco, Philadelphia Contributionship, Nationwide, Travelers, Donegal, Progressive and Chubb to offer customers a huge selection of prices, packages and options for auto insurance. Its comprehensive, online quote form allows you to find the coverage you need quickly, and its website lets you conveniently take care of many small tasks from your computer.
- Address: 4601 Clairton Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15236
- Phone: (412) 882-9000
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 4:30pm
- Website: mcilrathinsurance.com
The Clare Agency is an independent insurance agency that works with companies like Farmers Mutual, Aegis and Travelers to provide customers with the perfect coverage. It specializes in combining offerings from several providers to create the right policy to meet your needs. The company provides free car insurance quotes and offers one-on-one consultations. It also has specialized coverage for collector’s vehicles.
- Address: 300 Mt. Lebanon Blvd., Ste. 316, Pittsburgh, PA 15234
- Phone: (412) 563-7511
- Hours: M - F: 10am - 6pm
- Website: clareagencyinc.com
Thompson-Gusic Insurance Group specializes in providing coverage for whatever type of vehicle you own. The company works with several carriers to tailor a comprehensive, affordable car insurance policy for you and your family. Customers can handle policy changes and updates directly on the agency’s website.
- Address: 4067 Greensburg Pike, Pittsburgh, PA 15221
- Phone: (412) 271-8888
- Hours: M - F: 8:30am - 5pm
- Website: thompsongusic.com
Insurance Consultants of Pittsburgh employs independent insurance agents that work with more than two dozen carriers to give one-of-a-kind, personalized coverage. It can piece together your perfect policy from several carriers to get you exactly what you need, including discounts for bundling.
- Address: 300 Mt. Lebanon Blvd., Ste. 205A, Pittsburgh, PA 15234
- Phone: (412) 344-2800
- Hours: M - F: 8:30am - 5pm
- Website: icpitt.com
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.