Find the Best Car Insurance in Chicago, IL
Top 12 Chicago Car Insurance Companies
|EverQuote Insurance Services|
Free online marketplace that matches you with car insurers in minutes. Works with more than 160 insurance companies. Has handled over 35 million quote requests. Offers online resources on car insurance topics.
|Allstate Auto Insurance|
Read 2,104 Reviews
Protects drivers with standard and specialty coverages. Policies include claim satisfaction guarantee, Drivewise and Allstate Rewards. Accident forgiveness and roadside assistance add-ons. Offers more than 10 types of discounts.
|Get a Quote|
|Liberty Mutual - Auto||Read 1,442 Reviews|
Customizes car insurance so you pay only for what you need. Has add-ons for new vehicle replacement, accident forgiveness and deductible savings. Over 15 types of discounts. Use the app to get ID cards, pay a bill or file a claim.
|American Family Insurance - Auto|
Read 361 Reviews
Offers auto insurance with local agent support. Use MyAmFam app to set up payments, view proof of insurance, get roadside assistance and track claims. Save up to 20% with KnowYourDrive usage program. Over 15 kinds of discounts.
Compares insurance offers from various providers. Requires some personal information, vehicle details and insurance and driving history for quotes. Over 50 million people use its free online service.
|Get a Quote|
|American Auto Insurance||Read Author Review|
Specializes in cheap car insurance starting at $14 per month. Covers drivers with no credit, suspended licenses and international licenses. Provides discounts for good drivers and customers with prior proof of insurance.
|Eagle Insurance||Read Author Review|
Offers 24/7 roadside assistance through Motor Club. Electronically files for SR-22 insurance. Provides motorcycle and commercial auto insurance.
|Illinois Vehicle Auto Insurance||Read Author Review|
Offers extensive car insurance coverage options. Employs trained agents to help all types of drivers, including those needing SR-22 insurance. Provides payment plans. Spanish-speaking representatives available.
|Insure on the Spot||Read Author Review|
Provides SR-22 insurance, rideshare insurance and 24/7 roadside assistance through Auto Help Line of America. Insures drivers with suspended or revoked licenses, plus drivers with international licenses. Offers free quotes.
|Lincoln Insurance Agency||Read Author Review|
Hires licensed insurance agents. Gives discounts for safe drivers, anti-theft devices, multiple cars and proof of prior insurance. Provides SR-22 insurance. Lets customers pay online.
|Oxford Auto Insurance||Read Author Review|
Helps Chicago drivers with shopping for and comparing insurance rates. Members of Trusted Choice Independent Insurance Agents and Independent Insurance Agents of Illinois. Offers coverage starting at $23 per month.
|United Auto Insurance Chicago Car Insurance||Read Author Review|
Provides auto insurance for personal and commercial vehicles, including tow trucks. Gives discounts for multiple cars, safe drivers and renewal policies. Offers drive-thru service.
Driving in Chicago, IL
Driving in Chicago is a challenge. Residents face heavy traffic during rush hours, blocked roads during sports games and snowstorms in the winter. While car insurance in Chicago is already a necessity, all of these circumstances make having extra car insurance coverage a good idea.
- Crashes in Chicago: According to the city of Chicago’s data, there were more than 30,000 crashes in just the summer of 2019, and this data doesn’t include minor accidents that didn’t generate a police report. Chicago residents should have at least the minimum liability coverage so they don’t wind up paying out of pocket after an accident.
- Road conditions in Chicago: Difficult road conditions in Chicago also prompt residents to get additional car insurance coverage. Rain, snow, ice, damaged roads and construction in Chicago all contribute to high car accident rates. If you’re concerned about getting into an accident as a result of poor road conditions, look for a comprehensive vehicle insurance policy with emergency roadside assistance so you’re never left without a helping hand.
- Vehicle theft in Chicago: In May 2019, the Chicago Police Department reported that car thefts in the city were down 36%. Still, residents deal with more than 24,000 vehicle thefts per year. Many of the offenses happen in Austin, Humboldt Park, Lawndale, Garfield Park, Englewood, South Shore, Auburn Gresham and Chatham. If you live in a high-crime area, a car insurance policy that covers the cost of a replacement vehicle is more valuable than cheap car insurance.
How much is car insurance in Chicago?
Car insurance policies in Chicago costs anywhere from $350 to $1,900 a year. The table below shows average annual estimates for a 30-year-old woman living in different Chicago neighborhoods.
|Full coverage||Liability||State minimum|
|West Loop - 60661||$1,277||$589||$554|
|Highland Park - 60035||$1,157||$550||$526|
|Burlington - 60109||$1,133||$470||$452|
|O’Hare - 60656||$1,358||$643||$609|
|La Grange - 60525||$1,177||$537||$512|
|Chinatown - 60608||$1,520||$623||$586|
Your ZIP code affects what you pay for car insurance in Chicago, but additional factors increase or decrease your yearly premium as well:
- The make, model and year of your vehicle affects insurance rates. Older cars generally receive more affordable insurance rates, while more expensive cars cost more to insure.
- Your driving history helps or hurts your car insurance premiums. A clean driving record usually means you often qualify for cheap car insurance, but additional drivers, new drivers and teenage drivers all pay higher premiums. When researching insurance companies, include every person that needs to be covered under the policy to make sure you get an accurate quote.
- Personal details such as your gender, age and marital status influence insurance rates.
Illinois vehicle insurance requirements
Car insurance in Chicago is required by law, and minimum liability coverage must include $25,000 for the injury or death of one person, $50,000 for the injury or death of more than one person and $20,000 for damage to other drivers’ property.
While car insurance is legally required in Chicago, there are still many uninsured drivers on the road. According to The Pew Charitable Trusts, 12% of all drivers in the U.S. are uninsured, leading to $2.6 billion in uninsured motorist claims during 2012, the most recent data available.
The consequences of not having basic liability coverage are serious. Uninsured drivers are not only liable for paying for any damages from an accident they cause but also can face hefty fines or jail time.
Chicago car insurance alternatives
High-risk drivers can get auto insurance coverage through the Illinois Automobile Insurance Plan. The state of Illinois offers this program as a last resort for drivers who can’t get insurance through regular providers. Under ILAIP, insurance companies in Illinois are obligated to accept a certain number of high-risk insurance applicants each year. Coverage provided from ILAIP must last for three years and adhere to Chicago’s minimum coverage limits.
Chicago car insurance FAQ
- How do I find cheap SR-22 insurance in Chicago?
- Most of the insurance companies on our list offer SR-22 insurance. SR-22 insurance, otherwise known as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, helps high-risk drivers get car insurance.
- How can I get discount auto insurance in Illinois?
- There are many discounts available for cheap car insurance in Chicago. Most independent insurance agencies and mutual insurance companies offer discounts for drivers who bundle their coverage with other policies. Students, military members and good drivers frequently earn discounts as well.
- Is Illinois a PIP state?
- No, personal injury protection (PIP) is only required in no-fault states, and Illinois is an at-fault state. This means the individual who caused an accident must pay for any damages or injuries that result from it.
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Chicago car insurance company information
Illinois Vehicle Auto Insurance offers a variety of cheap car insurance options. Its team consists of more than 100 licensed agents with experience providing uninsured motorist coverage, rental car reimbursements and SR-22 insurance. Customers receive quick, free quotes and can make their payments online. The company also offers $15 gift cards for referring friends. Its office is near The Art Institute of Chicago and Millennium Park.
- Address: 100 W. Randolph St., Ste. C14, Chicago, IL 60601; Multiple locations
- Phone: (312) 201-9111
- Hours: M - F: 8:30am - 5pm
- Website: illinoisvehicle.com/our-locations/iv-downtown
Insure on the Spot offers insurance to everyone with no credit check required. This independent insurance agency has insured over 1 million families, and it even covers Uber and Lyft drivers. The company’s insurance options include 24/7 roadside assistance through its affiliate Auto Help Line of America. The company files SR-22 certificates electronically.
- Address: 5485 N. Elston Ave., Chicago, Illinois 60630; Multiple locations
- Phone: (773) 202-5060
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 9pm; Sat: 9am - 5pm
- Website: insureonthespot.com
American Auto Insurance doesn’t require clients to have good credit to get insured, whether they’re driving with a suspended license, an international license or SR-22 insurance. Its coverage includes property damage liability, comprehensive coverage and rental reimbursement up to approximately $25 per day.
- Address: 3201 N. Harlem Ave., Ste. 1, Chicago, Illinois 60634
- Phone: (800) 483-4868
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 9pm; Sat: 8am - 5pm
- Website: americanautoinsurance.com
Oxford Auto Insurance cuts out the middleman between drivers and insurance companies. Its agents shop around and compare rates for their customers on everything from SR-22 insurance to comprehensive auto policies. Customers can purchase a policy, make payments and renew coverage online. For an additional $5 per month, drivers can also get roadside assistance through Oxford’s partner Metro Motor Club.
- Address: 4333 S. Kedzie Ave., Chicago, IL 60632; Multiple locations
- Phone: (773) 697-0500
- Hours: M - F: 9am - 7pm; Sat: 9am - 2pm
- Website: oxfordauto.com/auto-insurance/chicago
Lincoln Insurance Agency has experience helping a variety of clients. Its licensed insurance agents work with customers for all of their insurance needs and assist with electronic filing for SR-22 insurance. The company offers a variety of discounts, a 24/7 automated phone payment system and Spanish-speaking agents.
- Address: 855 W. Washington Blvd., Chicago, IL 60607
- Phone: (888) 419-0676
- Hours: M - F: 8:30am - 8pm; Sat: 8:30am - 3pm
- Website: lincolnautoinsurance.com
Eagle Insurance has multiple car insurance options, including SR-22 insurance, motorcycle insurance and commercial auto insurance. It has an online payment system, but drivers looking to start, renew or reinstate a policy need to speak to customer service directly.
- Address: 3201 N. Harlem Ave., Chicago, IL 60634; Multiple locations
- Phone: (773) 463-7576
- Hours: M - F: 8:30am - 7pm; Sat: 10am - 3pm
- Website: theeagleman.com
United Auto Insurance’s customers receive free quotes and can pay their accounts online. It offers multiple coverage options, including SR-22 filing and increased liability limits. As part of its insurance packages, United also provides 24/7 roadside assistance. The company also offers coverage for families with teens and young adults.
- Address: 2433 W. 79th St., Chicago, IL 60652
- Phone: (773) 202-5000
- Hours: M - F: 8am - 9pm; Sat: 8am - 5pm; Sun: 9am - 3pm
- Website: unitedautoinsurance.com
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.