2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.21/5

American Family Insurance is a mid-level insurance company designed for drivers looking for affordable, comprehensive auto coverage and those who want to bundle home and auto policies. You can access American Family Insurance’s discounts by bundling multiple types of coverage. The company offers diminishing deductible plans and a tool that helps find repair shops.

BOTTOM LINE

American Family Insurance offers several incentives for safe driving. Drivers can bundle policies to claim discounts. American Family has various coverage options, including diminishing deductible insurance.

PROS

• Competitive prices
  • Diminishing deductible insurance
  • Bundle discounts

CONS

• Available in only 19 states
  • Services can be confusing

Top American Family Insurance - Auto Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance - Auto?

I had an awesome experience with American Family. My wife and I were rear-ended by an uninsured driver near Chicago… American Family's claims department was actually able to chase down the other driver for the $500!... Our car is good as new too! Thanks American Family!

I have been with this insurance company for a number of years. Insurance agents are always very helpful in answering questions and filing claims. Quick response and payments whenever I have needed to file a claim. Good discounts and rates.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is American Family auto insurance?

American Family Insurance offers vehicle insurance for cars, motorcycles, boats, RVs and ATVs, as well as home, renters, farm, condo and landlord insurance for property and business. Its Dreams Restored Program removes the hard work of finding a repair shop to ensure you get quick, reliable service. Mexico car insurance and diminishing deductible insurance, which lowers the rate of your deductible, is also available.

American Family’s Teen Safe Driver app monitors risky driving, helping your teen become a safer driver while keeping an eye on their driving progress. Its KnowYourDrive app offers usage-based car insurance that provides drivers up to 20% in discounts depending on their safety level. Good driving and defensive driver discount programs reward responsible driving, but it's limited to residents of certain states.

How does American Family’s auto insurance work?

First, choose the American Family coverage that suits you best, then you can lower your premiums by selecting savings options, such as multipolicy or multicar discounts. American Family’s car insurance options include:

• Collision
  • Underinsured
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Emergency road service
  • Accidental death coverage

The company also offers bundling discounts, so you can combine your American Family car and home policies to save 29% on auto coverage and 20% on homeowners insurance. You can increase these savings by adding life insurance.

American Family auto insurance rates and costs

American Family’s average car coverage rates range from $1,328 to $1,412 per year; a 25-year-old man would pay, on average, $1,695 annually, and a 35-year-old woman would pay $1,322. A 60-year-old man would pay around $1,228. The company offers discounts for safe drivers, young drivers and family. It also has a diminishing deductible insurance option, which lowers your deductible so you can better prepare for unforeseen expenses if you make a claim.

Its KnowYourDrive app, a usage-based car insurance program, offers up to 20% in discounts, depending on driver safety. It also offers the potential of a 10% auto premium relief credit, as well as a variety of discounts.

American Family auto insurance FAQ

Does American Family Insurance cover car rentals?
Yes. If your car is in the shop or not drivable due to a covered loss, you can take advantage of rental reimbursement coverage, which helps pay for a rental while your car is repaired. Reimbursements include ride-share, taxi, city bus, light rail and commuter train travel.
Does American Family Insurance have accident forgiveness?
Yes, it does offer accident forgiveness. If you’ve been accident-free for five years or longer, you qualify for accident forgiveness and can avoid a rate increase after a first-at-fault accident. Policyholders who demonstrate good driving behavior may qualify for a lower deductible.
Where is American Family Insurance available?
American Family is available in 19 states: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.
Will American Family Insurance tow my car?
Yes — if you enroll in its emergency roadside assistance coverage, American Family covers towing.

Is American Family Insurance good?

American Family Insurance offers various coverage options, and its bundling discounts help policyholders save money. It also provides accident forgiveness and optional emergency roadside assistance coverage. It’s available only in select states, but we recommend its policies for drivers in its coverage area who want insurance with multiple perks.

American Family Insurance - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance - Auto?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Everyone needs to check with their insurance. This is the cheapest way to have roadside service, if you don't have it for free with a new car. It is only roughly $12 a year. I tell everyone, when talking about insurance or roadside. You can also pay to have car rental, in case you need a car because yours is being repaired.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Ever since we moved to this company, all our dealings with customer service and claims, our experiences have been outstanding. The personal touches from our agent makes it pleasurable to deal with. We feel we are not just customers but a member of their family. They make it easy to routinely update our policies. Simple visits from agents to our homes whenever we inquire about new changes in our policy makes us feel like VIPs.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2020

My Agent is a very nice woman and her staff are very friendly and helpful. Their office is located near my place of residence which is very helpful! I told one of the gals in the office I have a RING device which detects and records movement outside my home and she gave me a discount! I didn't even have the receipt! So far, so good, no complaints from me.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I had an awesome experience with American Family. My wife and I were rear-ended by an uninsured driver near Chicago. Because the driver was uninsured, we had to file a claim on our own insurance policy and pay a $500 deductible. American Family's claims department was actually able to chase down the other driver for the $500! It took a few weeks before the other driver finally paid, but they got it done! Our car is good as new too! Thanks American Family!

Original review: April 26, 2020

My husband was killed in Dec. 2015, my mom and best friend died in May of 2016 and I've been a bit of a mess. During the year of 2017 I kept locking my keys in the car and even completely lost my key keys. (Luckily was able to find them the 4th time checking with the customer service desk.) My car broke down and I had to have it towed and they were there every time and it was 100% covered. Being a widowed mon with a son that's only 5 years old it's very comforting to know that someone is really there when you need them.

I recently had just switched to Liberty Mutual because they were $50 cheaper and unfortunately had to call their roadside assistance because I lost my keys after coming home from flying a kite with my son and had a terrible experience. They said help was on the way on the 2nd call and was told I was covered up to $100, 2 hours and a 3rd call later I was told no one was sent and that they don't cover key replacement. THANK GOD this happened at home and not on the side of the road or at a shopping center because I always have my 5yr old son with me. I have been with Liberty Mutual less than a month.

Needless to say I'm switching back first thing Monday. I'm calling my American Family agent to see what I have to do to switch back. The $50 more I was paying was EXTREMELY WORTH THE PEACE OF MIND KNOWING THEY ARE REALLY THERE FOR ME & MY SON. American Family Insurance rockes and are the best. They even sent out their customers a $50 check to help during this Covid19 pandemic. They truly care for their customers.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Deceptive auto support/coverage! If a household becomes a victim of a hit and run... After many, many years! No thanks AMFAM! REALLY, NO THANKS! It's been over a month now and still nothing to support your covered payees! Gees, thanks, but really no thanks!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

It is included with my regular insurance and seems to be the best fit rather than pay for an outside company to do the same thing. So many times whether it is clubs or add-ons for television, gym membership add-ons ... we end up not using them for the extra cost.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I was in an auto accident and the driver at fault had American Family Insurance. The driver turned in front of me in a roundabout and American Family is saying I'm 20% at fault because I didn't see her turning in front of me. I would never ever use this company for any type of insurance. It took over 2 weeks for them to get back to me after the accident for them to tell me I was partially at fault.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Not impressed with your customer service right now, especially during this pandemic. I have been with American Family for around 30 years. My vehicle was caught in a hail storm and I filed a claim. Since your claims department did not have adjusters working during this pandemic, I took my vehicle to the dealership for an estimate. The dealership in return sent American Family adjusters photos and the itemized estimate. I received a call from your adjusters wanting to send me a check for 25% less. They said since they couldn’t see by the pictures they would pay less. I then spoke the a manager in claims and was lied to by him. He stated the body shop had agreed to their reduced price when that wasn’t what your first adjuster stated. She had said they would start the work and send pics as they were fixing it to show the damage she could not see in pictures. Contact Ron **. Thanks

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I had been a customer for over 30 years with both home and car insurance. I always paid my bills on time. Recently, over about a 2 year period, I had a few minor claims. First, my car was hit from behind, and I had medical bills which AmFam told me would be claimed on my insurance, but billed back to the other party. I had to call road rescue to start my car when the battery had died, I backed out of my garage and fender bumped a teenager's car who had parked in my driveway illegally (considered my fault), and then I had a major accident when I got hit by a deer on the way to the airport.

As I said previously, all of this happened in about a 2 year period. Well, my agent called and told me that "they could not renew me at my current coverage." It took me a minute to realize what she was saying. I'm not "cancelled," I'm just "non-renewed." After demanding, I got a letter showing only ONE claim was considered my fault--the fender bender which was a $2K claim. So thanks a lot AM Fam. You suck.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information