Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
American Family Insurance - Auto
1.94/5

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

American Family Insurance is a mid-level insurance company for those looking to bundle home and auto or get comprehensive coverage for less than some of the major brands. Many customers report years of good customer service.

PROS

• Local, personalized service available
  • Offers annual, semi-annual or monthly payment options
  • Can pay in person or online
  • Friendly customer service available over the phone

CONS

• Con second point with more text.
  • Claims processing times may vary

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

330 American Family Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

Receptionists in Manitowoc Wi. Receptionist made a point to flip me the middle finger while driving her vehicle. Not too smart to have this person represent your company. Definitely not a professional. I would never do business here because of this incident. And I will make sure I tell all my family and friends about this incident. And yes I know the name of this person. If anyone needs to contact me I will give them this information.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I started my policy online and was assigned to Renee Bolden as a new member of American Family Insurance. During the time I have been a member (of which has been a short time) I never had the opportunity of being welcomed by Ms. Bolden. Each time I called I received no answer. This forced me to contact the 1800 number for assistance often. Unfortunately, for what I needed assistance with required the help of my agent. I contacted Ms. Bolden’s office on April 1st for assistance with hopes of promptly getting what I needed done. Upon my first contact I received no answer and left a message. Before mid day I had not received a return call so I called again, only to get a answer from a assistant who would not allow me the opportunity to express what my needs were.

She constantly over talked me, placed me on speaker while she consulted with Ms. Bolden for assistance and certainty on a process of which was evident that she lacked knowledge of. Ms. Bolden never got on the phone and talked at her assistant of which gave information to me. Ultimately all I needed was a due date change and a request to be entered to ensure my policy would not cancel. While on the phone the assistant told me the request was entered further recapping my contact information to call me back to confirm that policy was held from cancellation. I trusted her word that all business would be handled efficiently and accurately. With that being said I did not call to follow back up until yesterday when I was notified by email that my policy was cancelled.

I immediately called customer service (due to it being after hours and furthermore feeling like my experience was rather unprofessional.) Upon speaking to a representative via customer service I was made aware that no request to stop cancellation was ever put in on 4/1/19 hence the reason my policy cancelled. I was redirected back to the local office for further assistance. I was told that they are the only ones who can request that my policy does not reflect a cancel status. I could not help but to think in my head if they could not get the first part correct how could they achieve the latter part?

Words cannot express the anger, frustration, and disappointment I am experiencing right now knowing that even while my car sits at my home locked and secured it’s currently not covered. As soon as my policy is restored I will be requesting a agent change. This is highly unprofessional and unacceptable especially compared to the high level of service I received when I started the policy. I do not recommend this office at all for business. If there was a option not to select a star I would have gladly chosen it. I’m very dissatisfied.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2019

AJ the adjuster for Omaha, NE area, doesn't return phone calls, doesn't know how to write a vehicle or what damage is. AJ prefers to call my wife liar and put the blame on her even with a police report stating otherwise. The accident may have cost American Family $300-400. He rather lose us as customers and blame my wife for the accident. The person who ran into her while changing lanes, provided info and then left. My wife stayed there got a police report in our favor, but no since the other car was a "American Family customer also" I guess we just take it in the **. My wife has photos showing the damage. Does it matter, no. It's true what you read about AF not paying out, and such a small amount compared to what I paid in for a year, STAY AWAY FROM AJ AND AMERICAN FAMILY, oh my my agent was worthless. (Ken **, 122nd blondo), "JUST GET AHOLD AJ. He'll take care of you". Thanks Ken!!!

Original review: March 2, 2019

We HAD AMFAM for home & auto ins. We had hail damage on our home, their COMPANY ADJUSTOR found NO damage on our home. My agent recommended a re-inspection (anyone can have this done and I highly recommend doing so). The independent adjustor found $13,500.00 in hail damage AFTER the in house COMPANY ADJUSTOR found NO DAMAGE...how can this happen??? My wife had an accident is her vehicle, AMFAM used rusty junkyard parts for the repair on our vehicle!! The adjustor simply said, "Did you read your contract? On page 24 subparagraph D it says we use used parts for repairs!!!"

We switched to Erie Insurance, saved 40% over AMFAM, Erie has diminishing deductible, they use NEW factory parts for repairs, in 3 years we have had NO rate increases with ERIE, every six months we had increases with AMFAM for crappy coverage. AMFAM flies around the USA in their expensive Gulfstream jet raising premiums for crap coverage... Shame on you Jack & AMFAM!!! Shame on you! What comes around goes around!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been an American Family Insurance customer since 2001 and Unfortunately, I had 2 claims recently 4/2018 and 1/2019. Both were water damage claims. The adjuster Deandre was very prompt and professional. Both of my claims were handled quickly and smoothly. I was very pleased also with the professionalism of the claims department 800 customer service. American Family paid both of my claims without any issues. The first one was on the smaller side this last claim was close to $3000.00. I have not received my homeowner's insurance renewal yet and hope I can remain a customer of theirs. Unfortunately, there are things beyond the homeowner's control especially when they happen unexpectedly. Luckily I was home when both incidents occurred and that helped to mitigate damage to our home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Played phone tag with claims adjustor Taryn ** several times. Called her back, more than she called me, left many messages. She returned calls at the end of the day when she was leaving office. Then sent a letter in the mail stating she had closed her investigation, finding me (not insured by AmFam) at fault. Go figure. Called her and left another message. Had to call into 1-800 number and go through the sales side to find her supervisor's number who ALSO didn't answer her phone. Left a VM. Got a return call saying investigation was closed.

I asked how that was possible since I just received a letter stating that if I disagreed or had more to add (like my entire statement!) that might alter the outcome to call. I told her I was in fact calling to try to make a statement. She was adamant that the investigation was closed but that she could get a claims adjustor on the line for me to make a statement. I asked what the point of that would be now that she's adamant that the investigation is closed and won't be reopened. She lied and told me they had sent letters... No letters have been received.

VERY UNIMPRESSED with Rachel **, incompetent supervisor of incompetent claims adjustor Taryn **. Rachel refused to give me the name and info of her supervisor. I suppose another complaint would not look good on her record. Their insured is a scam artist who hits commercial vehicles and claims he was hit. He had to open his vehicle doors with a makeshift hook. They have chosen to cover their own rear ends (no surprise) and not do an actual investigation. SHAME ON RACHEL ** AND TARYN **!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

They are expensive enough to believe you're getting quality insurance, but they dont care a dime about you, only interested in your dime. I had a wonderful agent but this is a terrible company. I was with them for years and leaving because it obvious they could care less if I leave or not.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I hope and pray that we never again get hit by a insured who has American Family Insurance Coverage. The corrupt nightmare started with their insured trying to intimidate my younger daughter into not contacting his insurance. After taking a picture of his license plate before he drove off we were able to have my daughter drive 2 hours to the police district office to file an accident report. Once the Milwaukee District police took their time in hunting down the insured they provided us with a police report.

Once my husband and I obtained that we contacted American Family to file a claim and inform them that we already had a reputable and trusted body shop where we dropped the car off to get repaired while we were leaving town back in July of 2018. We informed American Family and sent them the formal estimate and told American Family to pay the body shop direct. This is where the second nightmare and corruption that is rapid in the company and so ingrained in everyone you talk with...

American Family sent their inexperienced, ignorant about high end car repairs to the body shop and told them to lower their hourly labor amount they pay their employees because that is not the contracted rate they have with other body shops they give all their work to. The estimator also told the body shop he had to use second hand parts and not to replace all the bumper but instead pound out part of it. This estimator was out of touch with reality. She then left a message on our voicemail that her decision was final and she was leaving town for a family issue and could not be reached.

Upon getting that insane voicemail message my husband and I tried to talk with higher level management which were Mr. Tom **, Mr. Ben ** who told me that American Family’s philosophy is to quickly repair your car, (Not Properly with the best and new parts), take oversight over the job, (which actually means they call or visit the body shop and negotiate your car repairs to fit their dollar allocation).

Follow industry standards (which really means get you to take your car to their contracted body shops or they do not pay the entire repair estimate amount), leverage these repairs, (which really means they try to shove down your throat that Gerber Glass Repair shop is a reputable body shop to do matching die lot paint repair on your car) and says they warranty the body shops work (which means that when your paint job and clear coat does not match the rest of your car you can keep fighting with the body shop to repaint your entire car which will never happen and the value of your car plummeted and will not even be bought by a wholesaler of used cars).

None of these nightmares which is the main business model of American Family on their website too would be a problem if they let the person who was not at fault choose the body shop they know and trust to do the work. American Family even tried to get us to accept a several hundred dollar lower estimate by sending the check to me instead of the body shop. They are so corrupt and ignorant that I had to inform them that you cannot send a check for repairs to the nonregistered owner on the vehicle’s title. They then issued a new check under my husband's name but still would not pay the body shop the car was at.

After more intense telephone conversations with upper management that led to not paying the estimated bill I contacted body shops across the country and asked what their rate would be if I had a bumper and trunk damage to my car that needed repair and the first question they asked me was who was the insurance company that was going to pay the repairs at which time he pulled out his contract with that insurance company and quoted their rates and repair policies for your car. Not the best practices to fix your car but the cheapest way to fix your car because that is all that American Family will pay them. THIS IS PRICE GOUGING AND MARKET MONOPOLY IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.

My husband and I tried to talk common sense to the following list of American Family Employees who in our opinions should not have their jobs anymore. Ben ** even told me to go out and get more estimates and then send them to him at ** and then he would have Michael ** and Julie ** (his claim adjusters, which they call Auto Physical Damage Team) call that shop and renegotiate my estimate. When I said that was illegal he gave me his private email listed above and said to deal with him “directly”. Jessica ** was part of this scam.

Mr. Tom ** was also part of the management team who pushed us onto Ben **. You can reach these people at ** (no one gives out their direct extensions or telephone numbers because they do not want you to contact them). I only got these because I told them I was aware of the scam on how they pay out claims and force people to take their cars to their contracted body shops who they agree to feed so much business to during the contracted terms.

Their Auto Physical Damage Team tried to tell us that the lower part of the bumper was “repairable” and the upper part was needing a new part which comes in unpainted and wanted my husband and I to agree to their lower estimate to have 3 different paint colors on the final repair job. Upper management even had the audacity to tell my husband and I that our Volvo was not a high end car and therefore they were not going to pay the labor rates of $80.00 per hour for an experienced body shop repair specialist who works on Lamborghini’s etc. to work on my car because the insurance industry already regulated that body shops can only pay their repair specialists at the most $50.00 an hour.

Which means your car could be painted by a new guy who is just being paid way less than $50.00 an hour. He does not have the skill or been trained by the experts at “private” body shops who value their employees and the work they do. So sad that not even Shana ** at American Family’s Consumer Affairs Department cared about my husband’s vehicle, how we were being treated or followed up on the end of our experience. She can be reached at **.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was involved in an accident that was not my fault, the person at fault had American Family Insurance. The claims department took a very long time and at first did not want to accept responsibility for the claim. So my insurance company had to take over and allow me to get my car in for repairs while American Family took nearly three weeks to resolve issues on their end. From day one their insured was calling them to get things resolved and they kept dropping the ball. The person, Patty, who was in charge of the claim was never in her office, so you'd have to speak with another agent and they would make notes. It was horrible. Then when I finally got Patty on the phone she tried to tell me I needed to get three quotes before I could take my car in for repairs and that they would not cover a rental car. I told her I was not taking my car for three quotes, that it was already at the shop and I had a rental car. She then backed down and said no worries.

I then filed a diminished value claim. I had made two phone calls and they said don't worry that the file was pending in a different department. Weeks have gone by and I've not heard one word. I called today and was told there was no diminished value claim, that they see my phone call where I wanted to file one but the person who took the call did not submit the information, so now the process starts all over. I do not recommend using this company at all. They are not professional and lack in accountability and customer service. They are horrible to be honest.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Another desperate insurance company that has to send advertisements to get biz just like Progressive, Geico and All State. Would never do business w/this company or any other insurance company that sends unsolicited mail. Seeing that there overall satisfaction rating is 2 out of 5 stars. No wonder they have to harass people w/their unsolicited mailings. Funny, I never get unsolicited ad mailers from Farmers, State Farm, Liberty Mutual Nationwide or USAA, probably because they don't suck like American Family Insurance.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Their client hit me (totaled my car), pushed me into a street sign, and pushed me into a Mercedes. The police report and witness statements made were clear cut that this was 100% their client’s fault. Yet, they took DAYS to call me back and respond to my emails. They even tried to deny liability. The adjuster made it clear to me that he spoke to their client. However, they told the woman in the Mercedes they couldn’t accept liability for her car because they still couldn’t get a hold of their client.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Incompetence, lack of response, seemingly untrained and lacking technology skills. Ben and his staff need some remedial training. Several times their computers have "been down" and were unable to help me. Three major withdraw mistakes that were blamed on the computers. I would suggest an office visit, but you will find there is a lack of parking and the facility is dilapidated. There are plenty of other American Family Insurance owners in the area that are "on point" with their customer service, and will treat you right. I was very happy with my previous AFI Agent who moved, and then I was reassigned to this awful location.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

They were quick, kind. I didn't feel as though I was being tricked in any way. I was highly recommend American Family Insurance and that's from somebody who was hit by one of their clients. She made sure I had a rental car within 24 hours. I look forward to finishing out this policy with her. I feel as though I'm going to be treated very well and very fair.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My vehicle was legally parked when it was hit and badly damaged by an insuree of this horrible company. I've established 2 estimates from long time professional shops, and AFam has decided to send me a check to repair all but $700 in damage. I won't accept the offer, they aren't returning my calls. Pure evil. What's up with American Family ministries????

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

American Family Insurance insured person ran into my house with their vehicle. They were not a guest, they were not invited, and had no reason to be on my property. American Family is dragging their feet in paying me for the extensive repairs needed on my home. This should be pretty simple matter - your insured ran into my house - pay up and close claim!

Why must consumers have to sue, file complaints, and etc. to get results. That is the reason lawyers and government agencies are needed to protect consumers.

I will not get a penalty against my policy for the mistake of someone else. By the way, their insured owns the home next door to me so why they did not use their own driveway to teach their significant other to drive is beyond my comprehension. Still ongoing next steps are filing complaints and lawsuits.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The company is great, and our local agent is there for us. We really feel at home with this company. They go to bat for us and we've been customers for almost 20 years. The only issue that isn't above average is the cost, it's quite pricey and we've recently thought about switching to something else; we'd like to save some of our hard earned money.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We are currently dealing with American Family. Their insured hit our vehicle, which is used for our self-employment purposes, almost head on in a work zone. Their insured was told to drive on the opposite side of the road with the road construction. There were flaggers on both ends, but in the middle of it there are a lot of driveways and side roads that vehicles come out of and drivers need to be alert and pay attention to both construction vehicles, construction workers and other vehicles or people that come from the side roads and driveways. When my husband saw her, she was not looking up, she was looking down. She had several cars in back of her that saw my husband. My husband pulled over to the side and went as far off the road as he safely could and stopped. She RAN into the front of him. Her eyes did not come up from whatever she was looking down at until she hit him.

We made the mistake of updating our business vehicle to a pretty nice vehicle from an old van that was not worth having full coverage on. Well we didn't realize that we just swapped out the vehicles on the policy and we never added full coverage on ours. Which should not matter in this case, because she was given a ticket for inattentive driving and her insurance liability should take care of it. Needless to say, American Family is giving us the runaround. We are losing money every day with extra time and trips back and forth from home and stores to buy items that are not available in my husband's truck. He tries to remember everything he needs, but his rolling hardware store is not with him. We are losing money every single day.

My husband got whiplash - we do have medical pay on our policy, which we may have to use because American Family is jerking us around. There literally should not be a question on this, but they are holding out and making us wait. We will end up getting an attorney if they don't accept 100% liability and we will take the woman that hit my husband to small claims court for whatever American Family did not cover. If they don't cover anything, what is liability coverage even for with American Family? I have already filed a complaint with our state's Office of Commissioner of Insurance. DO NOT CHOOSE AMERICAN FAMILY FOR YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been with this insurance company for a number of years. Insurance agents are always very helpful in answering questions and filing claims. Quick response and payments whenever I have needed to file a claim. Good discounts and rates.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have had AmFam for over 10 years. Never had an issue until the past year. I had my first accident and they tried to lowball me on value of my vehicle. The claims adjuster stated various reasons that the value was lower. One was that there was oil on the engine... I had just been in a head on collision. Another reason was that the inside interior was dirty... My dog had torn a stick up inside the vehicle the previous day. Ridiculous. They then found comparable vehicles that were way underpriced because they weren't comparable. The years were older, the miles were over 100,000. I had to go back and forth with them and then speak to a supervisor or a senior analyst.

Now, our rates go up sporadically because "the rates in Missouri went up". This is actually what they tell us. We get a statement for one price then we find out it is another price. What is the reason??? Our agent says one thing... The 1-800 # says another thing. I have been trying to get new insurance but now other companies don't want to cover us because we have used our Roadside Assistance. So if you use the Roadside Assistance that you pay for every month, then other companies feel like you are a risk.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have never had any major accidents in my entire driving history, always a clean record and safe driver. June of 2018 I was rear-ended while on the highway by some kid with a permit (in traffic no less) and was caught in the middle of a three-car accident. My car took the most damage, and I was very clearly not at fault. The kid was not covered, so my insurance was to pay for all expenses.

I am not learned in the ways of insurance, so I thought everything would be simple enough with compliance and professionalism. Not the case at all. Now I know why people leave reviews of crappy experiences, this is literally the worst insurance experience I’ve ever had. AmFam seemed to be competent at first, then a week went by with no update, after I called they explained to me once the car was in shop it’s ‘basically out of their hands. Translate=LAZINESS and extreme incompetence.

The adjustor went back and forth THREE times to determine if my car would be totaled or not, meanwhile sending me in a frenzy for asking for rides because I thought I wouldn’t need a rental, then conflicts coming up leaving me car-less, then finally deciding I needed a rental because bonus, I was moving in a three WEEKS. I made sure to let every person I spoke with know this was a very time sensitive issue for me so there could be no delays and please do everything you can to speed the process along.

Two WEEKS later, they were still deciding whether they would total my car, no calls from them, I always had to be the one to call, and I got my rental with the idea that I gave them the insurance code to connect it with my claim, but my information never came up. I figured I’d pay out of pocket and have them reimburse me (again, not learned in the ways of insurance procedure). The only people who were able and competent in this whole ordeal was the repair shop who was holding my car—whom I chose by the way, not my insurance.

Flash forward another week and I have moved across state lines and my insurance finally decides it’ll be a total. At this point, I’m pissed because I’ve had to call so many times and no one was keeping me involved in anything. This left me to ask so many favours of my poor sister because I had left, just to try and close out this claim. Eventually I called to complain and the agent I was assigned was completely unprofessional and flat out RUDE to me, making it seem like I was at fault for feeling ill treated and concerned? She was terrible to the point I wanted to be assigned someone else.

Anyway, after literally MONTHS of waiting (THREE to be exact), my lease was finally paid off to the bank—after I was charged a late fee for not knowing whether my lease was still active and my credit report taking a hit. But NOW they’re saying they ‘cannot find’ any date on my rental, they’ve ‘searched far and wide’ and can’t find me. I just called the rental co and they found me in about a minute. Absolutely incompetent and disgusting service, DO NOT sign with them. I’ve never been more pleased to be rid of anything in my life.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

After having my FINANCED vehicle for about 1.5 years (to which I was under the impression I had full coverage on, because that's what my agent sent the dealership prior to me driving off the lot, because, you know, that's the LAW), I got a crack in my windshield so I called to find out what my comp deductible was. Once the agent pulled my account info, she informed me that I only had liability. UMMM what? I informed her my car was financed and asked her how they would've let me drive off the car lot with just liability.

That is when she informed me that the agent who put together my policy was fired for doing this to other people. She would send a full coverage binder to the dealership, but then reduce coverage without the client's knowledge. So, AmFam was aware she was doing this, fired her, and DIDN'T CONTACT HER OTHER CLIENTS TO INFORM THEM THAT THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED TO THEM. So, I told her I need full coverage ASAP.

Fast forward a couple months: I'm in a collision. It's ruled my fault (even though the adjuster never took pictures or asked for traffic cam footage). I still only have liability even though at this point, the agency KNEW I had requested a full coverage policy due to their negligence. My car isn't covered and I'm screwed. I filed a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner and AmFam basically responded with "Sorry, can't help" and the Commissioner basically said they can't, either. This is how you conduct business? I'm only in this situation because my policy was changed WITHOUT MY CONSENT OR KNOWLEDGE, and they have taken zero accountability.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was hit on the side by an American Family driver while driving thru a green light. The claims investigator stated that they had to determine fault first so I had to get my insurance involved. Since I did not have rental coverage on my insurance I had to borrow a car and it has been 4 weeks now with no communication from AF at all. I had to call my insurance to find out that they admitted fault. I am pretty convinced that they did this so they would not have to pay for rental coverage and that this is pretty standard with them to get out of paying. I also have to pay my $500 deductible first to get my car back after 6 weeks and hopefully my insurance will be able to get my deductible back from AF. Pretty bad!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had my first accident in over a decade, and I contacted my insurance agent to advise of the accident and was told that since I didnt have the money for deductible I could put the claim at a later time when I had the money. 3 months later after a bad customer service I canceled my policy. 2 months later when I tried to submit my claim, and after 6 years of business with American Family, the insurance adjuster told me I was committing insurance fraud and told me to stop lying about the accident. That it didnt happen that way and that I was a liar. Never in my life have I been treated so horrible. 6 years claim free... When I finally filed a claim I am told I am a fraud??? All this to avoid replacing a bumper???

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had American Family insurance for approximately 23 years. About 5 years ago I switched agents (per my sister and brother-in-law's recommendation) to Victoria **. SHE is ever so helpful, patient, professional, and EASY to talk to. She wants to ensure that her clients are 100% happy and goes above and beyond!!! Thank you Victoria!!! :-)

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was rear ended by one of their insured. They accepted 100% fault. I was told to bring it to one of their approved shops. The shop wasn't accepting new clients for two weeks. I took the car to the dealership. It's a year old BMW and they told me to take it to another shop. They did an estimate for $1,612.00, they were instructed to send the estimate and pictures to the AmFam and they did it that day. I called the next day to find out the next step. They told me the claim rep would call the body shop to review the estimate and then would call me back. After a week, they advised me a check was sent to me for $963.00. I called the body shop and discovered AmFam never called them and never called me. I called AmFam back to speak to a supervisor and I never received a call back. I will be contacting an attorney to review my options.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I like the company as a whole, but I think there needs to be some review of how some of the adjusters and claims managers handle claims. I was rear ended by their insured when he failed to brake and follow at an appropriate distance. I stopped because there was someone stopping in front of me, and stopped traffic in front of them. From the start, the adjuster for American Family was very accusatory and made accusations that I had cut their driver off and slammed my brakes for no good reason.

This was before he even gave me a chance to say my side of the story. Probably not even a minute later he was taunting me about something I said, making a snide comment indicating that I did indeed overreact, when that wasn't true. So basically, I stopped for traffic, when I was established in my own lane - the driver admitted this in the police report, yet changed his story later that I came into his lane and immediately braked, and I end up being accused of inattentive driving. Can you believe it? Inattentive driving for stopping behind traffic that stopped. Unbelievable. This is when the police report confirmed my version of events. They claimed traffic was 300 feet away from me, so if it really did stop as I said, it still didn't matter because it wasn't hazard. Yet, according to governmental agencies it is. And it wasn't even 300 feet.

Their insured said there was 300 feet in front of him before I switched into his lane earlier and drove in it sometime - which he admitted and is on the police report, just to reiterate - but it wasn't 300 feet. Even he said traffic was slow and congested, same as me. And he said "I didn't see anybody in front of her for at least 40-50 feet - yet they went by the 300 feet that would get me a lower settlement, never asking him what he meant by this comment, while accusing me multiple times of just overreacting.

They never asked him why he changed his story either, in a way that blamed me - they ignored his dishonesty. They said they agreed that he rear ended me and it wasn't a lane change accident as he claimed, but they wouldn't believe me that traffic stopped in front of me when there was so much evidence that it did. My insurance completely believed me, and yet again and again the manager falsely claimed they were on their side. My insurance confirmed to me that this was not true. The manager also falsely claimed in a letter to me that the adjuster had believed me from the beginning and didn't put liability on me, when that was actually false.

They refused to admit that the letter was dishonest. Worse, the adjuster sent a message to my insurance company claiming that I admitted that traffic was 300 feet ahead, that it only started to slow, and that I admitted to overreacting, none of which was true. They dismissed his false message as "imprecise word choice" and felt no obligation to tell my insurance, which decided not to fight the partial liability on me because they received a lot on my written off car from a junkyard, so the amount was not worth it, unless I wanted them to fight it to clear my name. But the message that the person deciding this meant that they received inaccurate information and they may not have accepted it if they knew he had falsified my statement.

That employee also told me that this adjuster always blamed victims on the claim if there was any possible way to spin it that way (not dead stopped at a red light, I presume) and there was no way he would have accepted full liability no matter what. So basically, he is falsely accusing innocent drivers to get out of paying the claims fairly according to this employee. And it seems true because the adjuster told my own insurance adjuster, a different employee that he was blaming me based on my statement that I admitted to suddenly stopping - this is when I explained that the person directly in front of me suddenly stopped. Completely outrageous and unethical liability assessment.

American Family needs to review this adjuster's claim files! I complained to the commerce department of my state, who recognized that false statements were made, but because of very high standards needed for court, they need very specific proof that the adjuster intended to defraud my insurance by his false statement, as well as a statement from my insurance that they believe he has falsely accused drivers to get out of paying the full cost of their damages. I didn't want to ask the employee who told me that to talk with the commerce department, so unless I do that, which would be difficult because the employee was probably not supposed to tell me that, or get other evidence against this adjuster, they can't do anything.

I am not sure yet if I will file another complaint or not. But that is what is required to reopen the complaint. They would then review the adjuster's claims themselves to see if he sent false messages before or made unfair liability assessments. I always encourage people to go to court to defend themselves and their right to full compensation. The insurance company's word is not the final say and you can fight for your right to proper compensation. Even the investigator at the commerce department agreed that their insured didn't claim traffic was 300 feet in front of me.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have American Family Insurance for my auto insurance. My overall experience with the process of getting my auto insurance with them was great! I live in a very small town in the middle of the desert so we don't have to wait in lines or anything anywhere. I never spend more than 10 minutes in the DMV. I absolutely love that! I didn't have to wait in any line to set up my auto insurance when I first signed up. The max I spent in the office was 30 minutes. It was easy to sign up and was able to pay without any hassle. It was great.

I like all the features they have. The one I like most is the glass replacement. Living in the middle of the desert we have rocks all over. In the yard instead of grass and most of the roads are loose gravel. They get kicked up into windshields all the time. Nothing like driving down the street and some car peels out and kicks rocks and nicks your windshield. They will replace it that same day and no waiting. I always recommend them to anyone because they do treat you right.

My parents also have the same company for their auto insurance and sometimes they ask me to get life insurance through them every couple of months. No matter how many times I tell them I can't afford it they still ask me over and over. There can be some very pushy salesman out there. They won't give up until they get the sale and it is the only thing I don't like about them. Sometimes I feel like they are doing that to me with the life insurance. I'm a single mom to 3 boys and my youngest is autistic.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I called the agent for a claim and he took over immediately. My agent keeps me up on what is the best policy inclusions for each specific vehicle use. I like the price and personalized service.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Our new agent really helped us get an old claim by our old agent back in force. It was to replace my windshield. We are finally getting things done.

Original review: May 18, 2018

All I did was call to file a claim and my insurance agent did everything else, including getting me a rental. American Family Insurance really is the best insurance company you can get and they truly help you out when you need it. Roadside assistance and claims are taken care of quickly and I was not penalized making a claim. You get to work directly with your agent or the company 800 number. The billing is always accurate and you can work with them to get a better quote or change the insurance to make it more economical without having to have less insurance.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information