Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
American Family Insurance - Auto
2.21/5

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

American Family Insurance is a mid-level insurance company for those looking to bundle home and auto or get comprehensive coverage for less than some of the major brands. Many customers report years of good customer service.

PROS

• Local, personalized service available
  • Offers annual, semi-annual or monthly payment options
  • Can pay in person or online
  • Friendly customer service available over the phone

CONS

• Con second point with more text.
  • Claims processing times may vary

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

337 American Family Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been an American Family Insurance customer since 2001 and Unfortunately, I had 2 claims recently 4/2018 and 1/2019. Both were water damage claims. The adjuster Deandre was very prompt and professional. Both of my claims were handled quickly and smoothly. I was very pleased also with the professionalism of the claims department 800 customer service. American Family paid both of my claims without any issues. The first one was on the smaller side this last claim was close to $3000.00. I have not received my homeowner's insurance renewal yet and hope I can remain a customer of theirs. Unfortunately, there are things beyond the homeowner's control especially when they happen unexpectedly. Luckily I was home when both incidents occurred and that helped to mitigate damage to our home.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

They were quick, kind. I didn't feel as though I was being tricked in any way. I was highly recommend American Family Insurance and that's from somebody who was hit by one of their clients. She made sure I had a rental car within 24 hours. I look forward to finishing out this policy with her. I feel as though I'm going to be treated very well and very fair.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The company is great, and our local agent is there for us. We really feel at home with this company. They go to bat for us and we've been customers for almost 20 years. The only issue that isn't above average is the cost, it's quite pricey and we've recently thought about switching to something else; we'd like to save some of our hard earned money.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been with this insurance company for a number of years. Insurance agents are always very helpful in answering questions and filing claims. Quick response and payments whenever I have needed to file a claim. Good discounts and rates.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

American Family Insurance has an agency finance plan they use to attract new agents. They pay a small salary and reimburse you for staff and office expenses for four years. They keep ALL renewal premium for that four years also. I was an agent for four years! 2 weeks before I came off of agency finance. They terminated me. I was called into a meeting at headquarters. I was then sandwiched between two huge men who I did not know and told my contract was terminated effective immediately. The reason given was I was rude on the phone with someone in another department of American Family Insurance. However they provided no valid proof. Since the agent never owns the policies and isn't vested for ten years AmFam will not purchase them from the agent.

I worked over 60 hours a week to meet the high metrics required to remain on the finance plan. After returning to my office from that meeting, my login was disabled for me and my staff. However I was still responsible for a commercial lease, alarm system, etc. American Family Insurance is a greedy shady company. Upper management stole my agency from me and other established agents to make their numbers look good so they could get their bonuses. I am a mother and this caused my family extreme emotional and financial difficulties that I can't even express in words but I will say this--- imagine paying your home premium for years faithfully and then losing everything in a fire- then imagine American Family Insurance doing whatever they can to not pay.

You will be left homeless and in ruins. That's what they did to me and I strongly suggest no one does business with them. This is how they treat their own agents. They steal from us. 4 years working as a 1099 contractor with no overtime pay, retirement benefits, paid time off, etc. because you are thinking you are building a business that will result in generational wealth. Got your kids only to have this large company take it once it's built and lie on you. You will have to sue them. That is the only recourse but they are NOT to be trusted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I have been with American Family for over 10 years. My rates have been affordable up until last year. They started increasing my monthly rates. I have not had a speeding ticket, accidents or any incidents with my vehicle. My rates was so low monthly and now they increasing my rate by double claiming it’s the state. What the state got to do with me and my rates? They are so being so unfair and taking advantage of their loyal customers. I am still searching for another insurance agency that is affordable for good drivers.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Hail damage claim handled poorly. Did file a complaint with our state regulators. Treated as if I wasn't legit from day one despite years of premiums and clearly documented storm. After they treated me as if they were not concerned at multiple encounters, I moved on. Watch out for the clause about payment just stop at one year post date of storm.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Recently filed a hail claim. The adjuster showed up and totaled the car. He was out in a timely manner. They told me not to drive the car since it had hail totaled. I was not given a rental car. Adjuster says I will have a check in a few days. Copart shows up to pick up the car. It’s currently on the auction site and still no check. They needed power of attorney forms from us which showed up in 24 hours yet it has been almost a month now and no check. I have been a loyal customer but I’m currently looking for other insurance. Local agent can’t do anything and their claims department is a joke. Call claims number and you get a voicemail stating I’m on vacation. Very poorly ran company with a mission to provide poor service.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I've been trying to get my windshield replaced since June 9th, through Golden Glass. American Family uses Safelite for glass. I have 100% coverage with 0 deductible. We're allowed 5 replacements per year living in AZ. They've came out once for an inspection which took forever, they reported to Golden Glass that this is a repair. Golden Glass advised them this needs to be replaced, 3 big divots and two are on driver side obstructing view. Golden glass and myself have requested this be changed on June 22nd. I was told someone will be contacting me to do a 2nd inspection which truly shouldn't need to be done. Besides the point it's now 7/2 and nobody has called. I called this morning and spoke to CS for Safelite and he reviewed the lengthy notes and admitted this should not be taking this long and should be handled immediately. Safelite should be ashamed of their customer service and lack of follow up.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I am so disappointed in American Family Insurance. I have been with them for over 7 years. I had two very small claims with them in the last few years, but never anything big. They had been great up until recently. A few months ago I was rear ended in a no fault state I was traveling in for work. They were determined to be responsible for my medical bills and were awful to deal with. They denied me so many times that I had to hire an attorney. I was already going through so much and they made the experience much worse by being so difficult. I am still fighting them daily. Then I received a letter that they are terminating my auto insurance coverage in June. I couldn’t believe it. American Family is great until they have to pay for anything.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information