American Family Insurance - Auto
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

American Family Insurance - Auto

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

281 American Family Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My garage was broken into. Many things missing. Adjuster called and I was treated as if I broke into my own garage. Have been with this company for close to 20 years but am currently looking for new insurance. Don't need to be treated as I was.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I was shopping around for new auto insurance, and came across American Family. I read a few reviews and was pleased. I contacted Ricky ** from the Eastpoint GA location. Ricky sent me a quote which included several discounts he applied, one discount being my defensive driver discount. After careful review of the Amfam quote and many phone conversations with Ricky before I made my decision. I eventually, decided to make the switch from Geico to Amfam on Oct. 20, 2017.

On or about Nov. 5, 2017 I received a phone call from one: Ricky ** stating that he was told that AMfam would not honor my defensive driver insurance reduction certification because it was not on the Georgia Department of driver services listing. This information was totally confusing to me because, my program certification ID number is approved by the State of Georgia for insurance reduction only. I explained to Ricky that he had failed to disclosed this information to me in any of our many phone conversations prior to agreeing to the quote. I also explained that the quote he provided for me failed to reflect this important information as well. Ricky responded just like a coward stating "Yeah I don't understand why they won't accept it. I see you sat in the class for 6 hours and didn't do it online. I will contact the underwriter".

On Nov. 6, 2017 I received an email from Ricky ** where he wrote to one Melissa ** stating, ''She completed a classroom defensive driving course 01/2016. She received the information from the Georgia Insurance Commissioner office that the school she attended was a Georgia certified facility. The problem is they are not listed in the Georgia reference manual as one of the listed schools. Can you please help with this or make an exception based off the attached document". Now the problem I have with Ricky's emailed to Melissa is that he failed to mention that he never informed or made clear that the school must be on a Georgia list. Therefore, I can only gather by the facts is this dishonest, misleading, desperate, unprofessional MOB GANG A.K.A AMFAM does this deceptive business practice on a day to day bases. If you can choose your Insurance company please choose wisely. Stay away from AMFAM especially the Eastpoint, GA location.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The agent and office staff I had in New Palestine, IN did not know the business. I was led down the wrong path. I had been with Am Fam for 31 years. 26 years were fine no problem. My agent retired and everything fell apart. They did not know the business. I canceled policies and they are still taking money out of my account. I would not recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Any insurance company is bound to have flaws in some areas and it is not possible for an agent to keep up with everything. The consumer should communicate ANY and ALL concerns to their agent as soon as possible. There was an issue with a rate hike and the company did not follow Federal Law. I contacted the agent and he handled the claim and I have also used the 800 number by phone. They both work and it is very easy and thorough. They sent a package out to inform you of their process and findings.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I hope this reaches someone before making a bad decision and going with this dishonest company. I am a disabled veteran and combat amputee that has been with AmFam for years. I was in an accident 9/26/16 that was caused by an underinsured high school graduate that was cited for speeding, running a red light, wreck-less driving, failing to control his vehicle and the list goes on. Amfam was amazing at first, keyword AT FIRST, they told advice to go to preferred shop in Scottsdale AZ, told me to go to Enterprise and get a rental and told me not to worry about anything. They assured me they had all police reports and other driver admitted fault, they also told me they stood behind their military members. Well it took the shop over 3 months to fix with a repair bill of over $25k.

I didn't mind the wait. I always stood behind them and said not to rush and do it right. My family’s safety is my main concern, but I also asked why they didn't total the truck out. That's when all communication stopped. That question was the turning point. I got a call from Enterprise that the rental had not been paid in over 90 days and had been reported stolen, the preferred shop ended charging me betterment on tires they ruined due to test driving truck and taking to dealership. The air suspension failed and blew out all 4 tires. So now Enterprise charged my credit card $2,500 and shop charged me over $600 on betterment. Well I need to get to VA appts, physical therapy, school, work, my children sports, and family needs so of course I'm going to pay. I had no choice.

Then tires started blowing out and getting extreme wear and tear on the inside camber and a loud popping sound that is audible and you can feel starts happening when you turn steering wheel too sharp. Took it back, the guy has me turn the wheel and hears it and says it’s just breaking in no problem and tires are due to oversize wheels, I explained I never had an issue before he said, “Well our alignment specs say you are good (I never seen these specs).” Later down the road the Chinese parts on a British vehicle failed and I was stranded on side of the road. I brought it in, they dropped me off at Enterprise and wanted me to pay for it, I told them this was their issue. They put a faulty part and I wasn't paying for anything. They left me. I had to walk on one leg and crutches back to the shop which is a few miles away to get back my truck because Enterprise wouldn't rent a car to me due to past history from first 90+ day rental.

I stayed without a car and couldn't make go to my appts or anything else. I WAS ALMOST FIRED while they fixed it. Well guess what happens again a month or so later? Yep the exact same thing. But this time they wouldn't allow me to choose my own shop when it states that if you aren't happy to take wherever you chose to and they will honor it, yea BS!! The adjuster stood me up more than 3x at different shops and I had to cover the bill for using their lift. Finally I was able to get to dealer but again I have to pay betterment on items I didn't damage they did, they even changed left rotor and not right on this SUV. Dealership protocol tells you to change both. I met with adjuster and her supervisor at dealership. Everyone was shocked to hear the way they were talking to me. He even pointed at his American Flag pin and said, “You see I support my military!!”

I looked at him in disgust, anyone can see that what he was doing was not right. He was blaming me for inconveniencing him for being there. They were almost yelling at me. I myself kept my cool and did blow up on them. Afterward my PTSD kicked in and I was just defending myself letting them know I didn't want money or attention. I just want my ** car back! He stated they still had to review again and took months to get back. I had to put 2 new sets of tires. That's 8 tires at 1000 each time, I had to pay for rental, I lost work, appt, kids’ football games, I paid the rental, I paid betterment, I paid shop fees and still I am not after making a profit. They have really screwed a disabled veteran and almost pushed me to the brink of an emotional, physical, and physiological breakdown.

They still haven't put me in a rental and to this date 09/29/17 my truck IS STILL IN THE SHOP NOT FIXED! May god bless the adjuster. I know they get paid very well to be the bad people or at least I hope that is the case. I honestly think they are defending the preferred shop because someone is making money from them from referring and looking other way when people get screwed. My assumption. I hope my car is done soon, whoever from Amfam Admin is looking at this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

We have been American Family customers for a while and liked their low premiums. I was recently rear-ended and the nightmare began. I went to one of their preferred auto body shops to get an initial estimate. The car was driveable and I even asked the auto body shop to confirm it was safe since I drive around my toddler. He said yes. They couldn't get me in for work for a month, but the car was driveable, so I dealt with it.

When I took it in to get the work done, my rental car was waiting for me and I signed to get the repairs going. 3 days later, American Family calls to tell me my car is a total loss. The auto body shop acts as their adjuster, so no one from American Family ever actually looked at my car, plus now, there is suddenly frame damage. I was upset to know that American Family didn't even seem concerned that they let me drive around for a month with a toddler in a car with frame damage.

The settlement offers came in and I got various explanations of what I would receive (taxes, no taxes, actual cash value, etc). On top of that I was told I only had 6 more days with my rental car. Looking online, I couldn't find a car comparable to mine for the payout they were giving me. They said, "Am Fam does not owe you to replace the vehicle, we owe you the actual cash value".

What am I paying you premiums for when I get rear-ended and have to pay additional money to purchase a new car? Just handled poorly and as the person not at fault I had all the inconvenience. I would have hoped they would go to bat for me to get me a fair deal from the other insurance company, but that was not the case. So disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Your company is a joke and the CEOs and other top officers should be ashamed, quit blaming people that use their insurance as blame to costly premiums. Just like any other insurance this should be outlawed, nobody should be allowed to profit THIS MUCH off insurance. People pay to be protected from accidents, and get punished when they use their insurance. They like to blame the people that use their insurance that they pay into every month when costs go up but don't be fooled. It's the top 10 people and their 6,000,000 bonuses and probably more. DO NOT GO THROUGH AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Have been a customer of AmFam for over 15 years. Recently did a policy review with the agent and was given a quote. We accepted the quote and received our bill in the mail. It was double the amount quoted. We have tried to contact the agent 3 times to ask why the bill was so much more than the quote. He refuses to respond to our inquiry. The epitome of bad customer service. There are too many other insurance companies out there to settle for this level of incompetence.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

If you're a bottom feeder and only look at the bottom line price. American Family is a great company, they will skimp on coverages and when it comes to paying out on a claim... Good luck. The claims service is horrendous, no communication, will refuse and deny.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I like my agent. He find ways to reduce my monthly premium on car. Added life & renters to do so. My fault for not having insurance for a few yrs. I didn't need it; however don't do this as it will cost you when you do need it!! Almost made it one year - which I would have gotten another discount and the magical age of 50 could have reduced it some too. But no... I had a fender bender. At first I get 4 calls a day offering me to go here and there for repairs. Now that I've picked my own place it's taking weeks to get approval. I met with their adjuster 3.5 wks ago and still waiting on car repair.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Been customer for 20 years with American Family Insurance, pay premiums on time auto deductions, and have minimum claim history, good driver's record so really good customer! However, I make a claim on my fully insured vehicle and they tell me I don't have rental car protection! Really! And who fault is that?! Not mine! Was never offered and no annual contacts. Was never made to review what I did have. I'm so disappointed in their messiness and headquarters just go along with the mess local offices do. I want my refund! Times I've had multiple cars insured, life insurance, and home rental insurance. They are being messy!

Original review: July 27, 2017

There is a reason why people tell you never to skimp on insurance. American Family Insurance is the epitome of a sleazy insurance company. My son was rear-ended by a driver insured by AFI, and the driver crunched my son's car up against the car in front of him. My son was not injured one bit because of the car he was in - a Subaru.

The accident was clearly the AFI-insured driver's fault: the driver jumped out of the car and apologized profusely, and when the police wrote up the accident, he openly admitted fault. It took a full ten days for AFI to "gather statements" from the three drivers, and another week for them to send an adjuster out to look at the car. THEN, it was another two weeks until we got their estimate (which we only got because we called and left threatening messages). It took them so long because they were busy figuring out how to cap the claim. They created a bogus 'value' for the car that just so happened to match the 'estimate' they did (by a guy who simply walked around the car parked in the alley). It's all smoke and mirrors. We only got a rental car because we pressed for it.

The $800 difference between the body shop estimate and the amount AFI agreed to pay is now our responsibility because AFI believed the car was totaled: totaled with no engine damage, no transmission damage, and no frame damage. It's a Subaru Outback wagon with only 59k miles on it - a design no longer made and a tank with more thousands and thousands of more miles to go. It was not totaled, at least not at their measly estimated damages. Not to be trusted. These folks are scum.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I was in an accident on July 14th. I had my car towed to a body shop my family has had many good experiences with. The insurance company on the other hand has not been helpful at all. First I tried to contact them about a rental car that should have been on our plan which they claim was dropped without us knowing. That was frustrating but the real problems started on the 17th when I was trying to get information on what is going on with my car. It is now the 26th and I have yet to find out anything on what is going on. I have not been able to get in contact with the lady 'in charge' of my claim for three days and the times before that I got ahold of her she was not helpful whatsoever. She told me the last time I talked to her (the 20th) I would know what was going on (if my car is totaled or not) on the 24th. By the end of business day on the 24th I had not received a call from anyone and could not get ahold of the lady 'in charge' of my claim.

I then got the information for another person on my claim who is suppose to be working with the body shop (the guy at the body shop says they have not been contacted once from the insurance company) and was sent straight to voicemail on the 25th. I then got the supervisor's extension but was once again sent to voicemail and said she would be out of the office until the 27th! It is now the 26th and I was told that they would take a look at my claim either today or tomorrow and get back to me (almost two weeks after the accident). My car has been at the body shop for almost two weeks without getting fixed because the insurance company doesn't seem to have their customers first.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I've been an American Family Insurance customer for over 10 years and I would not recommend it. My car was involved in a "not at fault" accident and let me tell you, I am not impressed with the level of service received. They made my son and I feel like the accident was our fault. One would think after sticking with them for over 10 years, they would have better customer service when handling claims. Needless to say, I'm shopping around and will never return to them. If you value being treated like a valued customer, don't obtain their insurance.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My vehicle was in a collision with a policyholder of this company. The investigating officer wrote a citation for the offending driver who had run a red light and caused a collision at an intersection. My vehicle was damaged to the extent it could not be driven and was towed to a local storage yard. After a few days I received a message from the other insurance company's claims department but it took several more days and multiple phone calls to get back in touch with them. When I finally reached the proper party he asked me why I was calling (despite the multiple messages referencing their claim number).

He then informed me I was going to be liable for storage and towing fees should my vehicle remain in the original storage yard. He further stated it was my responsibility to "mitigate" their company's costs by moving my vehicle at my own expense. Several more conversations and an escalation of that issue have continued. I obviously disagree that I should have to pay almost $500 out of pocket to "mitigate" American Family's settlement costs when this collision was clearly their policy holder's fault. They continue to stonewall citing lack of an official police report (which is not available as of this date).

I have had only one experience with this company prior and that was settled quickly and efficiently without problems of any kind. This experience has been anything but. I am at this point considering hiring legal counsel to pursue this settlement. This issue is ongoing as of this date but in the interim I would not advocate American Family as a worthwhile company with which to do business.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I was hit traveling from the baseball game last week on Saturday June 10th. The person that hit me had American Family Mutual Insurance. My experience with them so far has been much less than desirable. I filed a claim with American Family Mutual Insurance on Saturday June 10th. I've only received one initial call from the adjuster since the 10th. It is now June 20th and I have not talked to an adjuster! The adjuster ** works out of the claim office on 11789 Borman Drive in St. Louis, Mo. 63146 has called me one time that was the following Monday after the accident occurred. Every attempt to contact her at the numbers listed has resulted in me getting sent straight to voicemail.

Today I called the number listed on the Claim Summary and asked to speak with **, manager **... I left a message as I was sent straight to voicemail again. I'm starting to think the only person that answers the phone is the receptionist at this company! I would not ever recommend anyone purchase insurance from this company given the fact that it is nearly impossible to ever talk to a person and it has taken almost 2 weeks to get a check to pay for the damages to my car from their customer! Buyer beware!!!

Original review: June 10, 2017

The agent was given our Geico policy to emulate step by step for 2 autos; both full coverage, with all amounts of coverage. At some point I did change the coverage on one of the autos to liability only because it was parked in garage. When she removed the collision coverage, she removed it on the wrong vehicle so when I had an accident I had no coverage on my vehicle that still had a lien on it. It was discovered by the CSR when I called in to report the accident. This woman was awesome and displayed great knowledge and empathy. The good service ends there. After a couple of discussions with the agent, I had enough and called agency owner. My husband was ill and persuaded me that it was wise to have an agent as he was a retired agency owner. He then passed away and I was left with this mess. They saw that the agent made an error so covered the damage but it took 2 months and I had to beg.

I finally demanded an adjuster come and look at it to see that I deserved to have additional repairs reimbursed. But, sadly, although I showed her that we had previously had car rental reimbursement, she did not include. I was to blame for not seeing that. Yes, it wasn't enough that my husband couldn't speak because of a stroke and later died... I was to blame for not babysitting for the agent. Have my rental car today and it will cost me over $400 plus the deductible and it took me two months of phone calls to get redone. Never received an apology or kiss my you know what. I went back to Geico... love them. Icing is that I apparently owe $50 so in less than 2 months they sent it to collections. I always had premiums taken out automatically so did not know that I needed to send a check... They are awful and I am sending complaint to AZ Insurance commissioner, as well.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I have a bunch of rental homes and recently made a claim on 14 of them due to a hail storm in Denver including my primary and they have grossly underestimated and/or and simply ignored damage. Sometime to a multiple of 10x on items! I also made a claim on my car for hail damage and they grossly underestimated the amount to fix to the tune of about $4k.

Ironically I stayed with them even after an agent had been writing up fake policies and charging us. It took months before they finally figured this out and the woman was charged but we spent hours on the phone with corporate and for months they said would push us back to the agent writing the fake policies - yes we were paying for policies but when we called AmFam they could not find them so they told us to talk to our agent - this went on for months. Shame on me for sticking with them.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Consistently the least expensive policies for the coverage. I have my house and car insured together with this co. I usually check every year to compare, but no one can beat these rates. So far I have been lucky.

Original review: May 25, 2017

American Family is one of a kind. They care for their customers. It's like having an extended family. I love American Family. They are always there for me and my family. Excellent service. Filing a claim was easy and fast.

Original review: May 24, 2017

American Family sprang into action as soon as I made the phone call about the dishwasher flooding my home. Within one hour, the cleanup crew was there and the next day they came in to find out what was salvageable. My floors and kitchen cabinets were ruined. They and I called in 3 companies for estimates, chose and started the repairs. My agent Michael was great and I'm happy with him and his team.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Excellent service. It took one phone call and everything was handled in an efficient and fair manner almost immediately when I filed a claim. Overall I am very pleased with the company though I feel their premiums are very high when compared to several competitors.

Original review: May 20, 2017

American Family does a great job. I have this insurance for 20 or more years. And, I am very pleased with them. Filing a claim was very easy. The insurance company took care of everything for me. I just wish they offered checks like State Farm for good driving.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Two yrs ago in February, I put in a claim for damages to my roof by a storm. I was told that there would be no payout for the claim because my roof was ok. In September of the same yr, when my policy was up for renewal, I received a letter stating that we would not be insured because of the condition of our roof. I reached out to AFI and, discussed this matter with them. I argued with them the fact that, they were contradicting their decision of my roof being ok a few months ago. I then receive a letter that they were reconsidering their decision, the insurance would continue.

In 2016 I again put in a claim because, our roof now has more damage as a result of storms. I was told by AFI that my roof is repairable. I have gotten contractors to come out, all 4 state the roof is not repairable, it needs to be replaced. My issue is that if AFI did something 2 yrs ago, I today would not be having the concern of a shingle flying and hitting someone in the face, or my house having greater damages, as a result of this. My question is!!! Is safety a priority to AFI? I pay insurance for a reason!!!! I am extremely disappointed and will be seeing an attorney soon to help us with this unfair decision. I have been told by employees of AFI that they are known for not replacing roofs even when needed.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I have been a loyal customer to American Family Insurance in Nebraska for 3 years. I have been less than impressed with their desire to make me satisfied. We have an expensive house, land, three vehicles insured with them, but they are always looking for more money. When my vehicle hit a deer, they tried to say it was my fault I hit the deer. The deer was on the side of the road and ran into my vehicle. Apparently, I am supposed to jump over it, or magically fly. This is BS. The customer support is horrible. Too expensive. We are switching to Progressive.

Original review: May 14, 2017

American Family Insurance does not have the customer in mind. Agents are basically useless and collect commissions on work that you have to do. They have done nothing to help file a claim or speed up the process. Horrible agent communication, claims service and customer service. I've had to make all of the calls to the adjuster and claims department. It's been over 3 weeks and still no email or written communication from the company. I keep getting the runaround and no returned calls. I would NEVER refer or recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: May 8, 2017

One agent set up my entire policy. He called me at 5 am to set up autopay a few days before my policy began. All seemed well. First I received a letter my bill was past due? Next I received a letter all 4 discounts were taken off the policy raising it by 785.00 over 6 months. I called customer service and was given the runaround by 2 people and redirected the some person that never ensured the policy was complete to begin with! As for speaking with senior agents... forget that too! They are obviously trying to lose customers!

Original review: May 4, 2017

I called over a few weeks prior to change my automatic deduction date which was only a few days later. I was told it wouldn't be a problem. So next month came along and money was automatically taken out of my account on the regular date, not on the date that was supposed to be changed! I called the agency, they apologized, but I ended up having to borrow money since my account was now negative! So now the next month comes around and my bill is higher because now they changed the date to where I previously wanted it, but they are charging me as if I cancelled, very disappointed!! They should have told me it would be a charge, don't you think??

Original review: March 29, 2017

I started this policy in October set up auto pay every month. There was a issue about my payment, something they did or something I did. Per them I'm a person that don't pay with insurance on my automobiles. They even refunded me money in November saying I overpaid. Then December emailed that I owe $648.00. I contacted them to canceled. Now they want to say I owe them $177.00. For what? I immediately got coverage through another insurance on the same day. They even sent this amount to a collection agency. I went in the office showed prove that I was insured through another insurance and canceled on time. I'm so disgusted. What can I do?

Original review: March 24, 2017

My 18-year-old daughter was involved in an accident cause by an impaired driver insured by American Family Insurance. A driver who had been drinking and possibly under the influence of other substances. This driver ran from the scene but came back before the police arrived. The police report stated his failure to yield and alcohol were the causes of the accident. American Family Insurance has decided that my daughter was partially to blame for the accident. They ask for the police report then when the police report doesn't agree with them they tell me, “We don't go by the police report.”

I have never had the pleasure of dealing with a more arrogant pompous bunch of people who think their word is law. Everything he has given me I have given him proof he is wrong. Him looking at a picture is all he needs. It is amazing and shocking how they have fought for an impaired driver who could have killed someone. Physically my daughter is banged up but OK. I am not looking for money. I am just looking for them to stop protecting a person who drinks and drives and get this right. Since they want to continue to fight I am sharing this on every avenue I can find. STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE, unless you like to drink and drive then you are safe with them. I wish I could leave a negative number.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information