2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance - Auto
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.21/5

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance.

BOTTOM LINE

American Family Insurance is a mid-level insurance company for those looking to bundle home and auto or get comprehensive coverage for less than some of the major brands. Many customers report years of good customer service.

PROS

• Local, personalized service available
  • Offers annual, semi-annual or monthly payment options
  • Can pay in person or online
  • Friendly customer service available over the phone

CONS

• Con second point with more text.
  • Claims processing times may vary

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

American Family Insurance - Auto Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance - Auto?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Ever since we moved to this company, all our dealings with customer service and claims, our experiences have been outstanding. The personal touches from our agent makes it pleasurable to deal with. We feel we are not just customers but a member of their family. They make it easy to routinely update our policies. Simple visits from agents to our homes whenever we inquire about new changes in our policy makes us feel like VIPs.

Original review: July 25, 2020

My Agent is a very nice woman and her staff are very friendly and helpful. Their office is located near my place of residence which is very helpful! I told one of the gals in the office I have a RING device which detects and records movement outside my home and she gave me a discount! I didn't even have the receipt! So far, so good, no complaints from me.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: May 15, 2020

I had an awesome experience with American Family. My wife and I were rear-ended by an uninsured driver near Chicago. Because the driver was uninsured, we had to file a claim on our own insurance policy and pay a $500 deductible. American Family's claims department was actually able to chase down the other driver for the $500! It took a few weeks before the other driver finally paid, but they got it done! Our car is good as new too! Thanks American Family!

Original review: April 26, 2020

My husband was killed in Dec. 2015, my mom and best friend died in May of 2016 and I've been a bit of a mess. During the year of 2017 I kept locking my keys in the car and even completely lost my key keys. (Luckily was able to find them the 4th time checking with the customer service desk.) My car broke down and I had to have it towed and they were there every time and it was 100% covered. Being a widowed mon with a son that's only 5 years old it's very comforting to know that someone is really there when you need them.

I recently had just switched to Liberty Mutual because they were $50 cheaper and unfortunately had to call their roadside assistance because I lost my keys after coming home from flying a kite with my son and had a terrible experience. They said help was on the way on the 2nd call and was told I was covered up to $100, 2 hours and a 3rd call later I was told no one was sent and that they don't cover key replacement. THANK GOD this happened at home and not on the side of the road or at a shopping center because I always have my 5yr old son with me. I have been with Liberty Mutual less than a month.

Needless to say I'm switching back first thing Monday. I'm calling my American Family agent to see what I have to do to switch back. The $50 more I was paying was EXTREMELY WORTH THE PEACE OF MIND KNOWING THEY ARE REALLY THERE FOR ME & MY SON. American Family Insurance rockes and are the best. They even sent out their customers a $50 check to help during this Covid19 pandemic. They truly care for their customers.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I have been with American Family Insurance for about 8 years. When my jewelry was stolen from the house we lived in they covered it, when my son was in a wreck it was covered, no issues, easy claim reporting. They even called and spoke to the police for my son to verify his coverage before I could get to the accident. They handled the claim, spoke with the other person's insurance company. They even check on my son several times after the accident to see if he needed additional help. My agent is willing to help keep the payment in a range I can afford. I have had other insurance prior to American family that was not easy to work with and cost more. American family is affordable insurance with great coverage plus a personal touch, they care.

Original review: May 29, 2020

Not impressed with your customer service right now, especially during this pandemic. I have been with American Family for around 30 years. My vehicle was caught in a hail storm and I filed a claim. Since your claims department did not have adjusters working during this pandemic, I took my vehicle to the dealership for an estimate. The dealership in return sent American Family adjusters photos and the itemized estimate. I received a call from your adjusters wanting to send me a check for 25% less. They said since they couldn’t see by the pictures they would pay less. I then spoke the a manager in claims and was lied to by him. He stated the body shop had agreed to their reduced price when that wasn’t what your first adjuster stated. She had said they would start the work and send pics as they were fixing it to show the damage she could not see in pictures. Contact Ron **. Thanks

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I had been a customer for over 30 years with both home and car insurance. I always paid my bills on time. Recently, over about a 2 year period, I had a few minor claims. First, my car was hit from behind, and I had medical bills which AmFam told me would be claimed on my insurance, but billed back to the other party. I had to call road rescue to start my car when the battery had died, I backed out of my garage and fender bumped a teenager's car who had parked in my driveway illegally (considered my fault), and then I had a major accident when I got hit by a deer on the way to the airport.

As I said previously, all of this happened in about a 2 year period. Well, my agent called and told me that "they could not renew me at my current coverage." It took me a minute to realize what she was saying. I'm not "cancelled," I'm just "non-renewed." After demanding, I got a letter showing only ONE claim was considered my fault--the fender bender which was a $2K claim. So thanks a lot AM Fam. You suck.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had home insurance with American Family Insurance. In March, 2019 I had a contractor steal property from my home. I was forced to put in a claim to recover the loss. Instead of trying to help, their claims department has done everything possible to delay and frustrate this claim. They ask for irrelevant and private documents (manipulating a part in the contract you get with them) hoping that the request will not be honored so they can use the contact clause of failing to provide documents to deny your claim. Then they say their legal department will get in contact with you to conduct a deposition under oath, but they never seem to get with you.

This company treats everyone like a criminal and does everything they can in order to not have to pay your money owed for your loss. It has come to the point where I have drafted a lawsuit and I am about to file in order to get what money is owed to me. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. IF YOU EVER FILE A CLAIM THEY WILL TREAT YOU LIKE A CRIMINAL AND DO THINGS TO NOT PAY YOU. You have been warned. If it was an option, they would get negative stars with this review.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I put a claim in with American Family Insurance on 09/30/19 because my vehicle was in an accident with one of their clients on 09/25. Their client was cited for failure to yield and listed as at fault on the police report. Without any investigation, and without the claims adjuster speaking to me on 10/02 I received a voicemail denying my claim saying there's a video of my brother saying he was driving with his headlights off. I called her a liar and told her if this video exist then I have a right to see it and want to see it to which she replied "she'll show it when I take them to court." When I called her back on 10/10 to get a copy of the claim denial letter she said "she'll send it after her client court hearing." I filed a complaint with the insurance complaint in my state and they were of No help. American Family responded with nothing but lies claiming my claim wasn't denied, and the person handling my complaint didn't bother to investigate.

It's now 3 months and there still hasn't been a detailed investigation. Fortunately the claims adjuster was stupid enough to leave a voicemail denying my claim. She didn't follow any of the protocols that Georgia requires when someone files a claim. For example I haven't even received a proof of loss document that is required within 15 days. She never took a statement from me or my brother who was driving the vehicle when it was in the accident. Instead she called and told him they wasn't paying and left a voicemail telling me the same thing. Georgia requires a thorough investigation before a claim can be finalized. Based on their actions I am in the process of filing a third party bad faith claim against this insurance company because of how they handled my claim. And I really question the integrity of their workers because they are Dishonest, Unprofessional, Rude, Condescending, and Misleading.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Someone hit my car, a hit and run while I was at home. The next day I called and from there it was just a headache. They called my work number without my permission. Nobody responded to my calls or emails over week. They are all liars, they said they were calling my number and left messages which are lies! How is it that only people from their company their calls didn’t go through. Sent me a $41 check the day they gave me a quote without me even agreeing to anything. Nobody communicated anything to me.

I finally got through a manager after 2 weeks and she tried to say they have paper trail BRANDON emailed me on a specific date and tried calling me and I started laughing saying she wants to bring up paper trail? She would be able to see how he didn’t email me back for over a week! Never will recommend this company! I told her that wasn’t accepting the $41 check. That was a joke after I been with them for 7 years! Pathetic employees and worthless company!

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information