American Family Insurance - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've been an American Family Insurance customer for over 10 years and I would not recommend it. My car was involved in a "not at fault" accident and let me tell you, I am not impressed with the level of service received. They made my son and I feel like the accident was our fault. One would think after sticking with them for over 10 years, they would have better customer service when handling claims. Needless to say, I'm shopping around and will never return to them. If you value being treated like a valued customer, don't obtain their insurance.

My vehicle was in a collision with a policyholder of this company. The investigating officer wrote a citation for the offending driver who had run a red light and caused a collision at an intersection. My vehicle was damaged to the extent it could not be driven and was towed to a local storage yard. After a few days I received a message from the other insurance company's claims department but it took several more days and multiple phone calls to get back in touch with them. When I finally reached the proper party he asked me why I was calling (despite the multiple messages referencing their claim number).

He then informed me I was going to be liable for storage and towing fees should my vehicle remain in the original storage yard. He further stated it was my responsibility to "mitigate" their company's costs by moving my vehicle at my own expense. Several more conversations and an escalation of that issue have continued. I obviously disagree that I should have to pay almost $500 out of pocket to "mitigate" American Family's settlement costs when this collision was clearly their policy holder's fault. They continue to stonewall citing lack of an official police report (which is not available as of this date).

I have had only one experience with this company prior and that was settled quickly and efficiently without problems of any kind. This experience has been anything but. I am at this point considering hiring legal counsel to pursue this settlement. This issue is ongoing as of this date but in the interim I would not advocate American Family as a worthwhile company with which to do business.

I was hit traveling from the baseball game last week on Saturday June 10th. The person that hit me had American Family Mutual Insurance. My experience with them so far has been much less than desirable. I filed a claim with American Family Mutual Insurance on Saturday June 10th. I've only received one initial call from the adjuster since the 10th. It is now June 20th and I have not talked to an adjuster! The adjuster ** works out of the claim office on 11789 Borman Drive in St. Louis, Mo. 63146 has called me one time that was the following Monday after the accident occurred. Every attempt to contact her at the numbers listed has resulted in me getting sent straight to voicemail.

Today I called the number listed on the Claim Summary and asked to speak with **, manager **... I left a message as I was sent straight to voicemail again. I'm starting to think the only person that answers the phone is the receptionist at this company! I would not ever recommend anyone purchase insurance from this company given the fact that it is nearly impossible to ever talk to a person and it has taken almost 2 weeks to get a check to pay for the damages to my car from their customer! Buyer beware!!!

The agent was given our Geico policy to emulate step by step for 2 autos; both full coverage, with all amounts of coverage. At some point I did change the coverage on one of the autos to liability only because it was parked in garage. When she removed the collision coverage, she removed it on the wrong vehicle so when I had an accident I had no coverage on my vehicle that still had a lien on it. It was discovered by the CSR when I called in to report the accident. This woman was awesome and displayed great knowledge and empathy. The good service ends there. After a couple of discussions with the agent, I had enough and called agency owner. My husband was ill and persuaded me that it was wise to have an agent as he was a retired agency owner. He then passed away and I was left with this mess. They saw that the agent made an error so covered the damage but it took 2 months and I had to beg.

I finally demanded an adjuster come and look at it to see that I deserved to have additional repairs reimbursed. But, sadly, although I showed her that we had previously had car rental reimbursement, she did not include. I was to blame for not seeing that. Yes, it wasn't enough that my husband couldn't speak because of a stroke and later died... I was to blame for not babysitting for the agent. Have my rental car today and it will cost me over $400 plus the deductible and it took me two months of phone calls to get redone. Never received an apology or kiss my you know what. I went back to Geico... love them. Icing is that I apparently owe $50 so in less than 2 months they sent it to collections. I always had premiums taken out automatically so did not know that I needed to send a check... They are awful and I am sending complaint to AZ Insurance commissioner, as well.

I have a bunch of rental homes and recently made a claim on 14 of them due to a hail storm in Denver including my primary and they have grossly underestimated and/or and simply ignored damage. Sometime to a multiple of 10x on items! I also made a claim on my car for hail damage and they grossly underestimated the amount to fix to the tune of about $4k.

Ironically I stayed with them even after an agent had been writing up fake policies and charging us. It took months before they finally figured this out and the woman was charged but we spent hours on the phone with corporate and for months they said would push us back to the agent writing the fake policies - yes we were paying for policies but when we called AmFam they could not find them so they told us to talk to our agent - this went on for months. Shame on me for sticking with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Consistently the least expensive policies for the coverage. I have my house and car insured together with this co. I usually check every year to compare, but no one can beat these rates. So far I have been lucky.

American Family is one of a kind. They care for their customers. It's like having an extended family. I love American Family. They are always there for me and my family. Excellent service. Filing a claim was easy and fast.

American Family sprang into action as soon as I made the phone call about the dishwasher flooding my home. Within one hour, the cleanup crew was there and the next day they came in to find out what was salvageable. My floors and kitchen cabinets were ruined. They and I called in 3 companies for estimates, chose and started the repairs. My agent Michael was great and I'm happy with him and his team.

Excellent service. It took one phone call and everything was handled in an efficient and fair manner almost immediately when I filed a claim. Overall I am very pleased with the company though I feel their premiums are very high when compared to several competitors.

American Family does a great job. I have this insurance for 20 or more years. And, I am very pleased with them. Filing a claim was very easy. The insurance company took care of everything for me. I just wish they offered checks like State Farm for good driving.

Two yrs ago in February, I put in a claim for damages to my roof by a storm. I was told that there would be no payout for the claim because my roof was ok. In September of the same yr, when my policy was up for renewal, I received a letter stating that we would not be insured because of the condition of our roof. I reached out to AFI and, discussed this matter with them. I argued with them the fact that, they were contradicting their decision of my roof being ok a few months ago. I then receive a letter that they were reconsidering their decision, the insurance would continue.

In 2016 I again put in a claim because, our roof now has more damage as a result of storms. I was told by AFI that my roof is repairable. I have gotten contractors to come out, all 4 state the roof is not repairable, it needs to be replaced. My issue is that if AFI did something 2 yrs ago, I today would not be having the concern of a shingle flying and hitting someone in the face, or my house having greater damages, as a result of this. My question is!!! Is safety a priority to AFI? I pay insurance for a reason!!!! I am extremely disappointed and will be seeing an attorney soon to help us with this unfair decision. I have been told by employees of AFI that they are known for not replacing roofs even when needed.

I have been a loyal customer to American Family Insurance in Nebraska for 3 years. I have been less than impressed with their desire to make me satisfied. We have an expensive house, land, three vehicles insured with them, but they are always looking for more money. When my vehicle hit a deer, they tried to say it was my fault I hit the deer. The deer was on the side of the road and ran into my vehicle. Apparently, I am supposed to jump over it, or magically fly. This is BS. The customer support is horrible. Too expensive. We are switching to Progressive.

American Family Insurance does not have the customer in mind. Agents are basically useless and collect commissions on work that you have to do. They have done nothing to help file a claim or speed up the process. Horrible agent communication, claims service and customer service. I've had to make all of the calls to the adjuster and claims department. It's been over 3 weeks and still no email or written communication from the company. I keep getting the runaround and no returned calls. I would NEVER refer or recommend this company to anyone.

One agent set up my entire policy. He called me at 5 am to set up autopay a few days before my policy began. All seemed well. First I received a letter my bill was past due? Next I received a letter all 4 discounts were taken off the policy raising it by 785.00 over 6 months. I called customer service and was given the runaround by 2 people and redirected the some person that never ensured the policy was complete to begin with! As for speaking with senior agents... forget that too! They are obviously trying to lose customers!

I called over a few weeks prior to change my automatic deduction date which was only a few days later. I was told it wouldn't be a problem. So next month came along and money was automatically taken out of my account on the regular date, not on the date that was supposed to be changed! I called the agency, they apologized, but I ended up having to borrow money since my account was now negative! So now the next month comes around and my bill is higher because now they changed the date to where I previously wanted it, but they are charging me as if I cancelled, very disappointed!! They should have told me it would be a charge, don't you think??

I started this policy in October set up auto pay every month. There was a issue about my payment, something they did or something I did. Per them I'm a person that don't pay with insurance on my automobiles. They even refunded me money in November saying I overpaid. Then December emailed that I owe $648.00. I contacted them to canceled. Now they want to say I owe them $177.00. For what? I immediately got coverage through another insurance on the same day. They even sent this amount to a collection agency. I went in the office showed prove that I was insured through another insurance and canceled on time. I'm so disgusted. What can I do?

My 18-year-old daughter was involved in an accident cause by an impaired driver insured by American Family Insurance. A driver who had been drinking and possibly under the influence of other substances. This driver ran from the scene but came back before the police arrived. The police report stated his failure to yield and alcohol were the causes of the accident. American Family Insurance has decided that my daughter was partially to blame for the accident. They ask for the police report then when the police report doesn't agree with them they tell me, “We don't go by the police report.”

I have never had the pleasure of dealing with a more arrogant pompous bunch of people who think their word is law. Everything he has given me I have given him proof he is wrong. Him looking at a picture is all he needs. It is amazing and shocking how they have fought for an impaired driver who could have killed someone. Physically my daughter is banged up but OK. I am not looking for money. I am just looking for them to stop protecting a person who drinks and drives and get this right. Since they want to continue to fight I am sharing this on every avenue I can find. STAY AWAY FROM AMERICAN FAMILY INSURANCE, unless you like to drink and drive then you are safe with them. I wish I could leave a negative number.

American Family Insurance, this is my second time dealing with this poor quality Insurance Company. Both times they did not pay out enough to fix damage to my vehicle. First time I had go through my Insurance company (State Farm). State Farm a excellent Insurance company by far, to get my vehicle fixed because American Family would not pay full damage costs. Now this second time which going through now loss occurring 10/13/2016. American Family only wants to pay 733.39 their estimate. I had three estimates done from body shops close to me in 46406 area. Their estimates all three business estimates are all over 2,000 dollars.

Their sorry excuses are existing rust prior damage etc. All lies. Sure going be rust, that is what vehicles do. But Here to this day my vehicle is parked and damage because I refuse to cash a 733.00 dollar check from them because this will not anywhere pay the damage bill. As of this writing 03/23/2017 still have this check from them for 733.39. I will not cash it. Just might mail it back, and tell them to keep it because can't repair my vehicle with it.

I too have become one of the many thousands of people that are not happy with American Family scamming practices. I have had and paid my insurance for over 40 years, never late, no claims. I wanted to get quotes so I tried them. I was worried about my agent as he was very unhealthy and had medical conditions that made him forget and quite confused all the time. After several months of confusion and billing errors I asked if they could meet or beat my new rates, William said go with the other company ASAP. We canceled. He forgot and kept billing us for months... I also found that anyone who has American Family can easily very easily find way better rates with better coverage.

Have been insured with company 10+ yrs, own 2 homes, 3 cars currently, a boat and a camper all insured thru AM FAM, plus life insurance. 6 yrs ago one homeowners claim, they paid $800 or so out for roof damage then raised my homeowners rates. 3 yrs ago paid $1500 out on a vandalism claim, and in Oct of 2016 a tree limb fell and landed on my camper, causing a water leak, and it took them until January of 2017 to deny claim. Called agent, then 3 weeks went by or so before anyone ever contacted me. Then they changed adjusters.

Had to leave work and meet the adjuster. He told me there's a clause in policy about having it sealed once a year with documentation and I need to take it to one of their preferred body shops for an estimate. They were all over 60 miles away. It's garaged in the winter, carport stored most of the time during the summer... showed impact damage on roof and water damage directly below it. Camper was parked on my insured property when it happened.

Emails and phone calls for months, with only minimal return contact. Sent pictures of the camper in use and luckily one of the ceiling only couple weeks before damage occurred but no one cared, and they just keep referring to this clause about seams being resealed. I have no issue with my agent, his job is to sell it and collect the money, but from there on up the corporate ladder nothing but thieves! Paid them probably $50,000 dollars over 10 years and are going to lose a good paying customer over a $1000 roof repair that I'm sure after 4 months of weather damage will cost me $5000 to fix on my own. Looking for any suggestions on better insurance companies.

I have never been so agitated and let down by an insurance company. One of their policyholders hit my car on veteran's day Nov. 2016, and tried to take off! She tried to hit and run my car! So thankfully there was a witness who saw her and had her stop and took her information for me. At first they seemed very nice and helpful, my claim agent Tigra ** spoke to me once on the phone, and then one email after having me choose a repair company. That was the last time I heard from her, ever since then I have been given the runaround and had to have other agents help me.

Finally around Christmas I called and told them I was done dealing with them and would rather them cash me out the estimation of damage. A helpful man helped me start that process, told me to call back and check in about a week. A week later I called and they said "okay we will mail your check out, give it TWO business days." Today January 17th it has now been SEVEN business days and no check. I have been dealing with these people for 2 months now. I'm sick and tired of getting excuses and the runaround, there should be no reason it takes a company 3 weeks to send a damn check. How incompetent are these people in this company that they cannot do the one thing they're supposed. I would NEVER get any insurance with American Family.

We have about 10 accounts with AF. So far they have paid for our claims, and that would be 2. Our agent is nice but the letters we received are very nasty. We were moving one time and the payment was a day late. So we got a nasty letter telling us that our insurance would be cancelled; and they have done that more than once. They have raise our rates, periodically and have tried to pour more insurance on us. Who needs terrorist insurance if you're not around any more?!! We will check around for other companies when we have time, because it does take time to know all the tricks they play. Any real good suggestions will be welcome.

One of their clients ran into my car with out looking, she got the ticket, and called her Insurance company right way. This was almost 2 weeks ago. No one had called me yet, well some one tried to get a hold of me but I was out of cell service and did not leave a message. I can not believe that you are still in business, it is pretty sad how you run a Business. At least some one should of called me on the first day of the Accident to let me know that he or she were working on my claim, but nothing happened. I had to call Wednesday a week later to find out some one name Amber was suppose to be assigned to me but never called me. I have left a message on her phone. The Answering machine said "I will call back today." What a joke, called again Friday before Christmas just to find out she is out of the office till Tuesday. Still no call back.

Today I was pissed off, wanted to talk to some one in charge. Instead of talking me I left a message and again no return phone call. At least nothing was on the phone. Just one call but no message. How can you stay in Business when you don't give a ** about any one. I was hit by your client and all I got so far was the run around. Never would I recommend you to anyone. Consumer be aware. This is not a company I would want to do Business with. They don't care about customer Service at all.

My name is Anganic **, and I just so happen to have American Family Insurance. My car was vandalized outside of my home. Someone busted both my front and rear windshield, passenger window, and stole my muffler. I have full coverage insurance, so I called and filed a claim on November, 29th, 2016. My claim handler, Marisa ** out of Wisconsin said she would call me back once she verified my coverages with my agent. Of course, she never called back so I reached out. She tells me that she's still waiting to hear back.

Now at this point, I'm told that I need to speak to Linda ** in the Special Investigation Unit, so I called her. I didn't get an answer the first three times, I left a voicemail, still nothing. I email her about the claim and she responds and say, "Is Tomorrow a good time to talk at 10 am?" I call her the next day and still no response. December 29th, 2016 will make a month since I filed this claim and I still haven't heard anything from them. I had to pay for repairs out of my own pocket and at this point I need reimbursement.

I was involved in an accident 2 days ago. And ever since then I have been getting the run around from AM FAM. I still do not have an adjuster assigned to my case nor has anyone called me to update me on the status of my claim. I am a Supervisor at my job and I HAVE to have a vehicle to get to and from work daily. AM FAM has not put me in a rental (I have rental coverage on my policy) and every time I call them I get the run around on when someone will be contacting me to get my claim rolling. YEAH RIGHT. At this point AM FAM is jeopardizing my job and that ain't gonna fly!!!! (Ebonics. LOL) I am trying to make light of a very serious situation to keep myself from getting even more upset. I am very displeased with the NON service that I have received up to this point. When this is all said and done, I will be switching companies immediately.

I was with American Family Insurance for 12 years and never missed payment and this greedy company just keeps raising the rates and cost for insurance. I left them and tried some other insurance companies and then came back to American Family Insurance and they started repeating the same thing. I even increased my deductibles and when I did that, they raised the rates higher than what it was when I had the lower deductibles. I canceled my insurance with them today and will never return! I am through with American Family Insurance. They also are not a single company anymore. I guess things were not going so well so they had to merge with the General and also another insurance company. It is three companies in one now. Perhaps that is why they try to rip you off – to pay all the executives millions.

American Family Insurance is the worst insurance carrier that I have ever done business with. As a new customer, I was not satisfied with the continued billing issues. This company charged my account multiple times for the same policy all in one month. I called and tried to get the issue resolved and did not get anywhere. After being placed on hold for 20 minutes, I was then randomly transferred to someone's voicemail; not sure if it was a supervisor or not. This insurance is being cancelled effective immediately. Disappointed Customer.

Sammy Oduniyi is the worst insurance agent ever. He lies to get what he wants. He uses his personal relationships with clients for his own professional gain. He told me if I didn't take the vehicle where he said to get repaired then fix it myself. He told the body shop owner where I took the vehicle to be fixed, "if you work on this truck you not getting paid." He went to the body and lied and said he was an adjuster coming to look at the truck and he is just an agent. He involved my 96 year old grandmother and my 77 year old father.

It was a simple ordeal. A deer hit me. No other people or cars involved. He wants me to take my vehicle where he wants it go because I'm sure he gets a cut for every vehicle he sends there. I thought you could have your vehicle repaired anywhere you wanted to. He is very untrustworthy and only out for his own personal gain. Please people don't let the nice American Family commercials fool. Think long and hard before choosing AM Fam. They have a lot of people working for them with no morals or ethics. This particular agent Sammy Oduniyi is one the worst ever insurance agents I have ever seen or heard of. Thanks American Family for nothing. I will be paying the $6,900 repair myself.

So I have been with American Family Insurance for over 5 years. I have paid my insurance every month on time. They insure my home and also two Classic Cars, 3 regular vehicles and a motorcycle. When I started my insurance with American Family Insurance they usually just have you sign paperwork and give them money to start their insurance policy, never feeling the need to go over everything with you when you ask questions. Of course they divert your questions by distracting you with other questions but never really answering your questions. Well about a month ago my fiance, who doesn't drive, doesn't own a car and doesn't see the need to have car insurance of her own, borrowed my car under an emergency situation and a woman ran a dog in the middle of the road and she rear-ended a truck.

The insurance company had no issues. They asked what happened during the accident and said that she needed to be added to my insurance policy. I stated that she doesn't usually drive, it was a one-time thing and they asked if she had car insurance. I said no because she doesn't own a car. They said “ok we will get back to you.” Everything went quiet seemed fine. Well as my luck would have it I got in a motorcycle accident three weeks ago. I have full coverage on my Harley and I'm still making payments on it. This is where the insurance policy gets fun. They waited until my Harley accident to threatened me that if I don't add my fiance to my insurance policy they're going to cancel my insurance. Now mind you she doesn't drive and it was an emergency situation which I have explained to them. They waited until my Harley was in a tow yard to tell me “If you don't add her we're going to cancel your policy.”

When I asked them what gives them a right to do that and why I needed to add her, they informed me that anybody that lives in the household with me needs to be added to my insurance policy just in case an incident like this happens. I asked them why until now did they wait to tell me that when I started my policy and that I also live with four roommates. I did tell them I was not comfortable with the fact that they were trying to force me to do something that they never informed me I had to do five years ago. When she said cancel my policy I sent her a message asking her what the grounds were, why she was doing it and what she needed. Of course she did not answer my question. She just send back the same question "Does your fiance have her own car insurance?" Of course I stated "no she doesn't own a car, why would she have car insurance."

The agent simply states “Here's the underwriters number. You can contact them.” When I asked about my motorcycle she told me the claims guy would be contacting me on Monday. That was two weeks ago. I have not heard anything since. My motorcycle is sitting in a tow yard and the car that my fiance got in an accident, she covered her own medical bills and she paid to get fixed. The only thing that American Family Insurance had to pay for was the other guys truck. What they're telling me now is that he's claiming to be injured. During the accident the guy didn't bother calling the police. He got out of his truck and started calling his insurance company walking around denied any kind of medical help from the fire department and told the police department he was perfectly fine and had no issues. We informed our insurance of this and instead of listening to us they just keep on repeating “You need to add her to your insurance.”

When I asked how much my policy it would go up if I added my fiance to my insurance policy, because of my classic cars, motorcycle and other vehicles l will be paying over $800 a month in insurance which is why I'm pretty sure they want her to be added. American Family Insurance is denying and saying that they did explain this to me that it is common knowledge, everyone knows that all occupants in a home need to be added. Also stating that I also neglected to tell them about my 5 roommates and other occupants of my home. Which is weird that they say that considering the fact that I insured my home through them and had to give them the names and number of occupants in my home in order for them to cover the home insurance.

So knowing the agent did not do his job properly, did not inform me of needing to add anyone to my insurance policy and also to the fact I asked them “If my brother wanted to test drive my vehicle and took it out for a spin and got in an accident with it would you also be making me add him to my insurance policy?” She literally said “Well does he live with you.” So car insurance companies now hold the right to force you to release all information of your life to them before they cover an accident. But they will wait until they have you in a ruff spot so they can deny it. What is the point of insurance companies if they are going to freak out if you have an accident. So when you add people, if they are non driver of your vehicle, you need to have them send in their own car insurance information, their license and all their personal information SSI number etc... to your insurance company to prove that they are not driving your vehicle.

I don't know how many people would be happy to release so much personal information to another person or company they are not affiliated with. American Family Insurance waited until my motorcycle needed to be fixed, which, is an $8,000 claim, that they will cancel not just the one vehicle on my insurance policy but all of my insurance if I do not put my fiance to my insurance policy and pay over $800 a month. I would have no problem adding just one person who drives on a policy that I know would be driving my car at a decent price but adding her will make it go up to $800 a month not including my roommates.

Worst part is they keep treating my fiance like crap over this accident when it's an accident they happen. She shouldn't have to deal with such harassment and hostility or even being threatened to be sued by them over a small accident that everyone has. Why are they going to sue her for the money when they know it's my money anyway. When we get married I will be just as responsible for the cost as she is so why not just cover it now.

I have been a long-term customer of American Family (Arvada, CO), having both my auto and homeowner's policy with them. 2 1/2 years ago, I had my first claim, a slide on the ice that only damaged my vehicle, no other vehicles or property were involved. Am Fam paid for repairs (less my deductible), and of course raised my rates immediately. I just received another notice of a rate increase, again citing the accident as the cause. The agent would not respond to my questions of why I was being hit twice with rate increases, so I have moved on to another carrier. If this is how my long term business is valued, they have not earned my money or respect.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Profile