2.27/5

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

312 American Family Insurance - Auto Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have had AmFam for over 10 years. Never had an issue until the past year. I had my first accident and they tried to lowball me on value of my vehicle. The claims adjuster stated various reasons that the value was lower. One was that there was oil on the engine... I had just been in a head on collision. Another reason was that the inside interior was dirty... My dog had torn a stick up inside the vehicle the previous day. Ridiculous. They then found comparable vehicles that were way underpriced because they weren't comparable. The years were older, the miles were over 100,000. I had to go back and forth with them and then speak to a supervisor or a senior analyst.

Now, our rates go up sporadically because "the rates in Missouri went up". This is actually what they tell us. We get a statement for one price then we find out it is another price. What is the reason??? Our agent says one thing... The 1-800 # says another thing. I have been trying to get new insurance but now other companies don't want to cover us because we have used our Roadside Assistance. So if you use the Roadside Assistance that you pay for every month, then other companies feel like you are a risk.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have never had any major accidents in my entire driving history, always a clean record and safe driver. June of 2018 I was rear-ended while on the highway by some kid with a permit (in traffic no less) and was caught in the middle of a three-car accident. My car took the most damage, and I was very clearly not at fault. The kid was not covered, so my insurance was to pay for all expenses.

I am not learned in the ways of insurance, so I thought everything would be simple enough with compliance and professionalism. Not the case at all. Now I know why people leave reviews of crappy experiences, this is literally the worst insurance experience I’ve ever had. AmFam seemed to be competent at first, then a week went by with no update, after I called they explained to me once the car was in shop it’s ‘basically out of their hands. Translate=LAZINESS and extreme incompetence.

The adjustor went back and forth THREE times to determine if my car would be totaled or not, meanwhile sending me in a frenzy for asking for rides because I thought I wouldn’t need a rental, then conflicts coming up leaving me car-less, then finally deciding I needed a rental because bonus, I was moving in a three WEEKS. I made sure to let every person I spoke with know this was a very time sensitive issue for me so there could be no delays and please do everything you can to speed the process along.

Two WEEKS later, they were still deciding whether they would total my car, no calls from them, I always had to be the one to call, and I got my rental with the idea that I gave them the insurance code to connect it with my claim, but my information never came up. I figured I’d pay out of pocket and have them reimburse me (again, not learned in the ways of insurance procedure). The only people who were able and competent in this whole ordeal was the repair shop who was holding my car—whom I chose by the way, not my insurance.

Flash forward another week and I have moved across state lines and my insurance finally decides it’ll be a total. At this point, I’m pissed because I’ve had to call so many times and no one was keeping me involved in anything. This left me to ask so many favours of my poor sister because I had left, just to try and close out this claim. Eventually I called to complain and the agent I was assigned was completely unprofessional and flat out RUDE to me, making it seem like I was at fault for feeling ill treated and concerned? She was terrible to the point I wanted to be assigned someone else.

Anyway, after literally MONTHS of waiting (THREE to be exact), my lease was finally paid off to the bank—after I was charged a late fee for not knowing whether my lease was still active and my credit report taking a hit. But NOW they’re saying they ‘cannot find’ any date on my rental, they’ve ‘searched far and wide’ and can’t find me. I just called the rental co and they found me in about a minute. Absolutely incompetent and disgusting service, DO NOT sign with them. I’ve never been more pleased to be rid of anything in my life.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

After having my FINANCED vehicle for about 1.5 years (to which I was under the impression I had full coverage on, because that's what my agent sent the dealership prior to me driving off the lot, because, you know, that's the LAW), I got a crack in my windshield so I called to find out what my comp deductible was. Once the agent pulled my account info, she informed me that I only had liability. UMMM what? I informed her my car was financed and asked her how they would've let me drive off the car lot with just liability.

That is when she informed me that the agent who put together my policy was fired for doing this to other people. She would send a full coverage binder to the dealership, but then reduce coverage without the client's knowledge. So, AmFam was aware she was doing this, fired her, and DIDN'T CONTACT HER OTHER CLIENTS TO INFORM THEM THAT THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED TO THEM. So, I told her I need full coverage ASAP.

Fast forward a couple months: I'm in a collision. It's ruled my fault (even though the adjuster never took pictures or asked for traffic cam footage). I still only have liability even though at this point, the agency KNEW I had requested a full coverage policy due to their negligence. My car isn't covered and I'm screwed. I filed a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner and AmFam basically responded with "Sorry, can't help" and the Commissioner basically said they can't, either. This is how you conduct business? I'm only in this situation because my policy was changed WITHOUT MY CONSENT OR KNOWLEDGE, and they have taken zero accountability.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was hit on the side by an American Family driver while driving thru a green light. The claims investigator stated that they had to determine fault first so I had to get my insurance involved. Since I did not have rental coverage on my insurance I had to borrow a car and it has been 4 weeks now with no communication from AF at all. I had to call my insurance to find out that they admitted fault. I am pretty convinced that they did this so they would not have to pay for rental coverage and that this is pretty standard with them to get out of paying. I also have to pay my $500 deductible first to get my car back after 6 weeks and hopefully my insurance will be able to get my deductible back from AF. Pretty bad!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had my first accident in over a decade, and I contacted my insurance agent to advise of the accident and was told that since I didnt have the money for deductible I could put the claim at a later time when I had the money. 3 months later after a bad customer service I canceled my policy. 2 months later when I tried to submit my claim, and after 6 years of business with American Family, the insurance adjuster told me I was committing insurance fraud and told me to stop lying about the accident. That it didnt happen that way and that I was a liar. Never in my life have I been treated so horrible. 6 years claim free... When I finally filed a claim I am told I am a fraud??? All this to avoid replacing a bumper???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had American Family insurance for approximately 23 years. About 5 years ago I switched agents (per my sister and brother-in-law's recommendation) to Victoria **. SHE is ever so helpful, patient, professional, and EASY to talk to. She wants to ensure that her clients are 100% happy and goes above and beyond!!! Thank you Victoria!!! :-)

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was rear ended by one of their insured. They accepted 100% fault. I was told to bring it to one of their approved shops. The shop wasn't accepting new clients for two weeks. I took the car to the dealership. It's a year old BMW and they told me to take it to another shop. They did an estimate for $1,612.00, they were instructed to send the estimate and pictures to the AmFam and they did it that day. I called the next day to find out the next step. They told me the claim rep would call the body shop to review the estimate and then would call me back. After a week, they advised me a check was sent to me for $963.00. I called the body shop and discovered AmFam never called them and never called me. I called AmFam back to speak to a supervisor and I never received a call back. I will be contacting an attorney to review my options.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I like the company as a whole, but I think there needs to be some review of how some of the adjusters and claims managers handle claims. I was rear ended by their insured when he failed to brake and follow at an appropriate distance. I stopped because there was someone stopping in front of me, and stopped traffic in front of them. From the start, the adjuster for American Family was very accusatory and made accusations that I had cut their driver off and slammed my brakes for no good reason.

This was before he even gave me a chance to say my side of the story. Probably not even a minute later he was taunting me about something I said, making a snide comment indicating that I did indeed overreact, when that wasn't true. So basically, I stopped for traffic, when I was established in my own lane - the driver admitted this in the police report, yet changed his story later that I came into his lane and immediately braked, and I end up being accused of inattentive driving. Can you believe it? Inattentive driving for stopping behind traffic that stopped. Unbelievable. This is when the police report confirmed my version of events. They claimed traffic was 300 feet away from me, so if it really did stop as I said, it still didn't matter because it wasn't hazard. Yet, according to governmental agencies it is. And it wasn't even 300 feet.

Their insured said there was 300 feet in front of him before I switched into his lane earlier and drove in it sometime - which he admitted and is on the police report, just to reiterate - but it wasn't 300 feet. Even he said traffic was slow and congested, same as me. And he said "I didn't see anybody in front of her for at least 40-50 feet - yet they went by the 300 feet that would get me a lower settlement, never asking him what he meant by this comment, while accusing me multiple times of just overreacting.

They never asked him why he changed his story either, in a way that blamed me - they ignored his dishonesty. They said they agreed that he rear ended me and it wasn't a lane change accident as he claimed, but they wouldn't believe me that traffic stopped in front of me when there was so much evidence that it did. My insurance completely believed me, and yet again and again the manager falsely claimed they were on their side. My insurance confirmed to me that this was not true. The manager also falsely claimed in a letter to me that the adjuster had believed me from the beginning and didn't put liability on me, when that was actually false.

They refused to admit that the letter was dishonest. Worse, the adjuster sent a message to my insurance company claiming that I admitted that traffic was 300 feet ahead, that it only started to slow, and that I admitted to overreacting, none of which was true. They dismissed his false message as "imprecise word choice" and felt no obligation to tell my insurance, which decided not to fight the partial liability on me because they received a lot on my written off car from a junkyard, so the amount was not worth it, unless I wanted them to fight it to clear my name. But the message that the person deciding this meant that they received inaccurate information and they may not have accepted it if they knew he had falsified my statement.

That employee also told me that this adjuster always blamed victims on the claim if there was any possible way to spin it that way (not dead stopped at a red light, I presume) and there was no way he would have accepted full liability no matter what. So basically, he is falsely accusing innocent drivers to get out of paying the claims fairly according to this employee. And it seems true because the adjuster told my own insurance adjuster, a different employee that he was blaming me based on my statement that I admitted to suddenly stopping - this is when I explained that the person directly in front of me suddenly stopped. Completely outrageous and unethical liability assessment.

American Family needs to review this adjuster's claim files! I complained to the commerce department of my state, who recognized that false statements were made, but because of very high standards needed for court, they need very specific proof that the adjuster intended to defraud my insurance by his false statement, as well as a statement from my insurance that they believe he has falsely accused drivers to get out of paying the full cost of their damages. I didn't want to ask the employee who told me that to talk with the commerce department, so unless I do that, which would be difficult because the employee was probably not supposed to tell me that, or get other evidence against this adjuster, they can't do anything.

I am not sure yet if I will file another complaint or not. But that is what is required to reopen the complaint. They would then review the adjuster's claims themselves to see if he sent false messages before or made unfair liability assessments. I always encourage people to go to court to defend themselves and their right to full compensation. The insurance company's word is not the final say and you can fight for your right to proper compensation. Even the investigator at the commerce department agreed that their insured didn't claim traffic was 300 feet in front of me.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have American Family Insurance for my auto insurance. My overall experience with the process of getting my auto insurance with them was great! I live in a very small town in the middle of the desert so we don't have to wait in lines or anything anywhere. I never spend more than 10 minutes in the DMV. I absolutely love that! I didn't have to wait in any line to set up my auto insurance when I first signed up. The max I spent in the office was 30 minutes. It was easy to sign up and was able to pay without any hassle. It was great.

I like all the features they have. The one I like most is the glass replacement. Living in the middle of the desert we have rocks all over. In the yard instead of grass and most of the roads are loose gravel. They get kicked up into windshields all the time. Nothing like driving down the street and some car peels out and kicks rocks and nicks your windshield. They will replace it that same day and no waiting. I always recommend them to anyone because they do treat you right.

My parents also have the same company for their auto insurance and sometimes they ask me to get life insurance through them every couple of months. No matter how many times I tell them I can't afford it they still ask me over and over. There can be some very pushy salesman out there. They won't give up until they get the sale and it is the only thing I don't like about them. Sometimes I feel like they are doing that to me with the life insurance. I'm a single mom to 3 boys and my youngest is autistic.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I called the agent for a claim and he took over immediately. My agent keeps me up on what is the best policy inclusions for each specific vehicle use. I like the price and personalized service.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Our new agent really helped us get an old claim by our old agent back in force. It was to replace my windshield. We are finally getting things done.

Original review: May 18, 2018

All I did was call to file a claim and my insurance agent did everything else, including getting me a rental. American Family Insurance really is the best insurance company you can get and they truly help you out when you need it. Roadside assistance and claims are taken care of quickly and I was not penalized making a claim. You get to work directly with your agent or the company 800 number. The billing is always accurate and you can work with them to get a better quote or change the insurance to make it more economical without having to have less insurance.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I am treated like a family friend/member. No matter who I talk to in the office, they know who I am and seem happy to hear from me. They don't hesitate to serve my needs timely.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have been with American Family Insurance for over 5 years, and I intend to stay with the most reliable insurance that I have had. The customer service is great and the bill is very easy to understand.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Purchased a new vehicle, changed it on website, never got changed. Agent never called. Tried calling agent multiple times and kept getting routed back to AMFAM customer service who are completely useless. Took weeks to get car on policy correctly as customer service could only start insurance from current date, not when car was purchased. I can't even imagine how difficult getting a claim handled would be. Hope I don't find out. Will be moving all my insurance to another company.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I was really scared after reading all the negative reviews on how many others homeowners claims were handled. Fortunately for me, the process was smooth and efficient! My claims adjuster followed up with me throughout the whole claims process and from start to finish the whole process from the time I opened my claim to the time I received my check was 3 1/2 weeks. I have been a customer with American Family since 2001 and had my 1st claim this year. It was a water leak. I received my insurance renewal for this upcoming year 2018-2019 and my insurance only increased by $71.00 and I can probably get it lowered by making some minor adjustment on coverages. So for me, American Family Insurance has proven to be a reliable and reputable company.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Repeated queries to agent never responded to. Cancellation request ignored and continued billing. Website useless. Even acknowledged by agent. Overpriced for minimal coverage levels. No follow through. No customer service.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Biggest Scam I have ever seen. Not at all helpful and not at all fit. They should not have any customers to be honest. My Car windshield was broken and they said, I have to pay the complete deductible to 500 USD. I fixed it through their preferred vendor itself, for just 384 USD. If I had gone to the vendor through American Family Insurance, I would be paying 500 USD along with insurance payment increase. By The way, State Farm fixed my other car's windshield for free. Their Renters Insurance is bigger scam than their car insurance. I had a little incident in my rental apartment and even without investigating it properly and sending anyone to check it out, they rejected it. The Agent I have, never receives phone and never respond back even after leaving messages more than once.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Have been waiting now going on 2 and half weeks for claim check. First they said it was mailed. It wasn't. Then they told me they had to take taxes out because I chose to cash out. Then they told me the check was mailed Fri. It's now Wed. No check. No it should be here Thursday. Yea ok maybe I should do this when paying my policy. Oh and I live in the same city as American Family. What a joke of a company!!!! Never had this problem with other insurance companies.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I have been with AMFAM for years! We bought a car that needed work done to it. Once we got it driving we added it to the insurance in the AM. Unfortunately it was in an accident in the PM. First they said it was denied because their timestamp was wrong and they said the accident happened before I added the car. Then they said because it was more than 14 days after buying the car AMFAM denied the claim. Be very careful of this company. Their timestamps on claim are wrong and they will dig deep to deny a claim.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I want to bring an issue to your attention. To give an overview, I have had American Family Insurance for 30+ years. Due my agent retiring and the company cancelling my insurance, per their mistake, I did some research and received quotes from other carriers. It turns out that I have been paying more than double over what other carriers charge for the exact same coverage!

In addition, the previous agent had the opportunity to change to American Family's "new system" which would have reduced my monthly payment by $70-85 and refused. Regardless, the gross negligence by the company, over the duration of my time with them is disturbing. Agents for other carriers actually double checked their quotes because they couldn't believe the huge rate difference. I had absolutely no idea this was going on, as I've been with American Family for so long. I cannot properly convey my overwhelming outrage regarding this price gouging, especially to a loyal, long-time customer. The result is that I have overpaid by thousands of dollars and had no idea. I really could have used that money for something much more useful. It's disgusting.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have been with American Family for almost 10 years. With an accident where a State Farm client was at fault they paid the doctors with no problem through my Med Pay. I thought State Farm was bad, but American Family Claims is REALLY bad when it involves their client being at fault. I was rear ended at a roundabout last November while just sitting there waiting for a vehicle to pass. Secilia in claims was super nice the first time, but then after I left two further messages that she supposedly never got, she said it probably went to voice spam, although it was her voice on the message. Funny how the system immediately recognizes your phone number when you call, and then verifies you through your birthday and zip code...but then went to spam? Then I sent an email with the medical authorization attached, which she also never got.

So I finally waited for another extension and talked to Holly, who said that Secilia usually gets right to her voicemails and emails. She got the next email and confirmed the information, but after they transferred me weeks later to Shawn, he needed the same medical authorization, but this time faxed. Why didn't anyone tell me the first time it was not good enough? Now he says he playing phone tag with my Chiropractor (who has not been paid at all with my med pay since November), but my Chiropractor has not received any messages from him.

They paid my other back doctor right away because it amounted to less than a couple of hundred dollars, but they are giving me the runaround with my chiropractor and massage therapist. It doesn't matter that I've been in a lot more pain and had to go more frequently to the chiropractor now. So they want all of last year's medical records from my chiropractor before they will pay him at this point. Somehow when he sends the bills and records though they don't get them, but then say they received duplicates later when he sends them again. This is the worst service I have ever had in my life. My lawyers told me that out of all of the insurance companies that American Family is the worst to get return calls from. I am seeing this for myself now. I am SO disgusted.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I don't like their customer service skills. First of all I've been with American Family for almost three four years and I have full coverage insurance. I had collision. I take a trip to Chicago and I hit a pothole. So that tells me that my car is not covered so there's nothing they're going to do for me. So basically they're telling me to kiss they **.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have AMFAM insurance on my house and car. When I had a claim due to a contractor's issue, AMFAM FAILED. Even though AMFAM would be reimbursed for repairs from the company for the contractor, AMFAM fought me on every charge. First, they sent an adjuster. That person quit the company. They sent another adjuster, that person took off for surgery and said not work with another adjuster, to wait on her. She didn't come back. Then another adjuster. All of the documentation was lost at AMFAM. To make a long and costly story short... AMFAM did not do what they promised, which was to fully insure my home. Even when my agent told them they were not treating me fairly... They fired the agent. AMFAM FAILS.

Updated on 2/15/2018: When my insurance agent told AMFAM they were not providing the coverage I paid for... they fired him. Then they failed to cover me for the damage to my home, even though they would be paid back in full by the other insurance company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I was in an accident with one of their insured. Initially when I spoke to them knowing I had a lawyer they immediate questioned me about the accident when they knew they were supposed to refer to my lawyer as they say to me when I call them for information. The lady got on the expressway the wrong way and head on collision with me. Totaled my car. They took over two months to pay the car off because they kept throwing my case from adjuster to adjuster. Saying they went on vacation, finally sent a guy out after denying me rentals until someone came out to look at the car. I gave them specific instructions for paying on and the account number and info and stated if you reference an account number they will go based on that and not the remaining info on the check.

Boom. Two and a half months later when they finally stopped playing they sent the check to the wrong account number and left me doing all the calling around to make sure it was issued to the correct account. Fast forward 8 months later they are jumping the injury case adjuster to adjuster trying to avoid my case until I called my lawyer and complained who had to get their supervisor involved and the first thing they did was low ball the hell out of me with numbers that didn’t even cover my medical bills.

For months I’ve been renting out of pocket and catching public transportation to work almost losing my job because of lack of transportation. I live in the suburbs so the bus from my job is a 45 minute walk away. I couldn’t get a car and still can’t because they never paid it off fully and had the nerve to tell me I need to sign over the title to them when I’m done with the remaining balance payments. This is the most terrible company I have ever had to deal with. Now that I finally signed this release I’m sure I won’t see a check for another one or two.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I have American Family Insurance and have been a customer with them for about 10 years. In Late June 2017 I got in a fender bender. No real damage but reported to my insurance for a scratch the car. After the incident I left VM for my agent but never received a call in return. Every call was sent to a stupid recording and I was unable to reach him. I never got a call but my rates doubled the following month. Then on 11/7/2017 I was in a car accident. I called into the claims department and filed my report on about 11/10/2018. It was ran by a third party company that knew nothing about AMFAM policies and procedures. He told me that my agent should contact me shortly. After that accident I never got a call from my insurance agent Michael **. I left him a VM but no return calls. I never got a VM from him, no email, absolutely nothing!!!

I finally get a vm from Claims Agent on Mikia ** on 12/4/17. We spoke on 12/6/2017. She informed me that the old agent Scott ** would no longer be handling the claim, I didn't know who Scott ** was so I was just happy to have someone to move forward. She got information about the claim and reports that she will handle my claim moving forward. During that call I requested that she arrange an agent to come take pictures of my vehicle. She did not complete that request. I took my car to a repair shop and the shop submitted the claims paperwork to them on 12/12/2017.

I received a VM from a the old agent, Scott **, the agent that Mikia replaced, on 12/20/2018 at 9:25am. The call asked if I was filing a claim. I immediately returned the call and got a VM again, I gave Scott ** the information that I had submitted the claims data to Mikia ** on 12/12/2018. After that point I get silence from the company again. The first week in January I leave a VM every day for Mikia ** with no response. I finally call in to AMFAM 1-800 number and ask for a manager to file a complaint. I get a call back on 1/8/2018 from Mikia's manager apologizing for her behavior. Then I get a call back from my original claims guy Scott **. At this point I just want the situation to end so I agree for him to arrange for me to drop my car off at the shop. The adjustor Igor ** reported to me that my vehicle was unsafe and that I needed a rental car. American Family has forced me to drive an unsafe vehicle since 11/6/2017 until 1/9/2018.

I get to the shop to meet the accident adjuster Igor ** who told me my car value was $8000 from internal assessment. I laughed and said it’s worth $5500-6000. He and I get together and on his laptop he sees the value from NADA is $6000. He reported he will look into it and get back to me. I later get an email stating the car's is value is $7057. This is a 2011 Hyundai Elantra with 123000 miles on it not in tip top condition. The damage report to the car was $4274.72. I responded to the agent with the assessed value from Kelley Blue Book at $5,900, NADA at $6000, and true car value at $5,700. Per state law you can total the car if the damage is 65% of the car value.

At this point I ask to speak with a manager and start to speak with Ben ** on 1/15/2018. He refers me to speak to a different manager Dan ** on 1/15/2018. He and I just disagree on the phone. He says the car value is the $7057 and I ask how come 3 independent public agencies are incorrect. He couldn't give me an answer. I then say I want to speak to my Claims Manager Ben ** again. I start to leave him VM. I finally get a call back on 1/25/2018. Yes over a week later and I left VM every day for a week.

We have been talking this last week and I asked him if he could explain the horrible customer service I received. He stated he couldn't. I asked if he could explain why the claim was sent on 12/12/2017 and it wasn't processed until I complained to a manager with return call on 1/8/2018. He couldn't explain that either. I asked what he could do to rectify the situation. He said he could process the claim but that was it. Meanwhile in the past 3 months, American Family deduct from my checking account monthly without fail. The service is horrible!!! They put my life in risk by having me drive an unsafe car while they blatantly ignored my claim.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I had American Family for my home, auto and business policy. I was stopped at a red light and was rear ended by a woman who also had American Family. I thought that the process would be streamlined due to the fact that we were both with the same company, but that definitely wasn't the way it played out. Everything was disputed... They initially refused to provide a rental car, also wanting the body shop to paint over the damage without replacing the damaged areas and offering the auto body shop $30 to paint the back end of my car. All of these disputes resulted in delays in getting the car fixed. Then AmFam disputed the car rental bill and the length of time that it took, blaming the auto body shop for the delays when, in fact, the delays were caused by AmFam's ridiculous disputes.

I also had a single medical bill, which they also disputed, accusing the Dr's office of fabricating the bill and said the Dr's office can "eat the bill" because they weren't going to pay it. I had minimal time off work and they disputed paying the lost wages. They disputed the fact that I own a business... How can that be when I have a $4 million business policy with them? Then they audited my business for 2016 and 2017, of which my CPA/tax attorney provided the information that they wanted.

Finally, after 2 months the car, the rental and the Dr. bill are being paid and I am settling for a reduced amount for lost wages, but only because I am sick of dealing with them. Unfortunately, this accident occurred about 10 days prior to a scheduled and unrelated surgery. These people will attempt to harass you and drag things out unnecessarily, trying to get you to settle when they know that you are at a weak moment. All 3 of my policies are due in a week. I spent yesterday getting insurance quotes from other companies and am securing those policies today. I refuse to give AmFam another dime in premiums when they can't even take care of a simple fender bender without harassing me for 2 months.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

This company is absolutely by far one of the worst insurance companies when it comes to paying out claims to their customers, and staying in contact with their customers. Agents act as though they have no clue what is going on and want nothing to do with helping you. I had to make all of the phone calls and follow up. Took over 3 months to get a simple theft from our garage claim paid, even with a Police Report Filed, and an estimated list of items taken. Would NEVER in a million years refer this company to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I was driving to work and a woman insured by American Family did not stop at a stop sign, and entered into the busy major street I was driving on. The speed limit for the major street was 40mph. I attempted to stop, but hit her. Although she was at fault she attempted to blame fault on me for my colliding with her. She was cited by the police officer for failure to stop. I contacted American Family Insurance as well as my own. Initially I went to work, following reporting the accident. While at work I developed some symptoms I thought I'd better have checked out, so upon departing work I went to the ER. I advised the ER staff I was involved in a car accident and they accepted my car insurance information and my health information.

I received a call the next day from an adjuster, who offered me an extremely low amount for my vehicle, stating it was totaled. He told me that if my counter offer was not within $100 of his offer not to bother calling him. Whenever I attempted to call him, the call went straight to voicemail. He also asked me if there was any other way I could have avoided the accident other than applying my brakes, leaving skid marks, and attempting to swerve. He asked couldn't I have honked my horn. I contacted the State Insurance Commissioner. I wasn't offered a rental car, initially, even after expressing that my job was quite a distance away. I paid a co-worker to take me to work, and walked 2 miles to the nearest bus stop to ride the transit home in the evenings.

When I was finally offered the rental car, for one day, I would have been required to pay for the insurance on the rental car, which was more than American Family was to pay to rent the car. I refused the rental car and walked home. I paid from my own pocket to have my vehicle made drivable, so not to lose my job. Because American Family was not cooperating at all. I contacted an attorney. Unknown to me the attorney had previously worked for insurance companies. The attorney's office lost many of my medical records, and stated that the medical deductibles I had paid were not to be reimbursed. He did however calculate the sum of PIP that was to be repaid to my insurance company and the amount that was to be repaid to my personal insurance.

The attorney began negotiations with the American Family Adjuster. He didn't seem at all concerned that I wouldn't receive enough to repay my personal medical insurance company or be reimbursed for my expenses. When I confronted him about losing my medical record totals; my not being reimbursed for my deductibles and his false statement about there not being a raise in the property claim, he dropped my case and put an attorney's lien on any judgment. I learned that the losing of medical records and the dropping of clients case before completion was "a less than honorable tactic" performed by that attorney's office, on a regular basis, and that office had been disciplined for such tactics. No other attorney would consider taking the case following that.

American Family switched the injury adjuster. She pretended not to have received any figures of what American Family needed to pay, and offered me an amount of which I would not be able to repay my personal insurance if I retained the amount I spent for medical deductions, etc. This went on for almost 2 years. On the last date prior to the Statute of Limitation expiration, the adjuster and her supervisor went on vacation, and left no other adjuster with authorization to settle my claim. By this time I had moved from the city of the accident. I drove to the city of the accident and filed a civil suit, paying court fees, summon fees, etc. The case was was not treated seriously and was immediately dismissed.

I filed an appeal document but did not pay the appeals court fees. The case was dismissed. A year after the case was dismissed I learned that my insurance company had filed a subrogation lien against American Family and had been reimbursed for the PIP they paid. My insurance company stated the reimbursement was done on my behalf, and American Family reported that the reimbursement was paid to me. My personal medical insurance contacted me and stated they wanted the amount they had paid reimbursed from the amount I had received from American Family. I informed them I had not received any judgment or award.

My personal medical insurance stated that American Family Insurance had reported that I received a settlement, and they would legal recourse to regain their funds. I have requested a waiver and appeal of that decision. The American Family adjuster sent me a letter stating that I should get the funds to repay my personal medical insurance from my auto insurance. My auto insurance says they are not repaying my personal medical insurance. I may end up reimbursing my personal medical insurance for an accident which was not my fault.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I was in an accident, the other driver was at fault. So naturally I thought my company would have my back, but that wasn't the case. As it turns out I don't rental car coverage, gap coverage (which I never heard of until now). I pay 136 a month for full coverage. They have not been any help, do NOT put your faith in this company. Claim process is a nightmare and want charge me for keeping my car, which I still have to pay off! Or I can just give it to them so they can turn a profit of my misfortune. I also feel they are low balling for my claim, which I don't understand because they're going to get their money back from the other person's insurance company. Do NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY. If you do decide to go through this company, make sure you have rental car and gap insurance because they won't tell you need it until it's too late. Don't assume you have good coverage just because your agent says you do.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information