American Family Insurance - Auto

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

American Family Insurance is the worst insurance carrier that I have ever done business with. As a new customer, I was not satisfied with the continued billing issues. This company charged my account multiple times for the same policy all in one month. I called and tried to get the issue resolved and did not get anywhere. After being placed on hold for 20 minutes, I was then randomly transferred to someone's voicemail; not sure if it was a supervisor or not. This insurance is being cancelled effective immediately. Disappointed Customer.

Sammy Oduniyi is the worst insurance agent ever. He lies to get what he wants. He uses his personal relationships with clients for his own professional gain. He told me if I didn't take the vehicle where he said to get repaired then fix it myself. He told the body shop owner where I took the vehicle to be fixed, "if you work on this truck you not getting paid." He went to the body and lied and said he was an adjuster coming to look at the truck and he is just an agent. He involved my 96 year old grandmother and my 77 year old father.

It was a simple ordeal. A deer hit me. No other people or cars involved. He wants me to take my vehicle where he wants it go because I'm sure he gets a cut for every vehicle he sends there. I thought you could have your vehicle repaired anywhere you wanted to. He is very untrustworthy and only out for his own personal gain. Please people don't let the nice American Family commercials fool. Think long and hard before choosing AM Fam. They have a lot of people working for them with no morals or ethics. This particular agent Sammy Oduniyi is one the worst ever insurance agents I have ever seen or heard of. Thanks American Family for nothing. I will be paying the $6,900 repair myself.

So I have been with American Family Insurance for over 5 years. I have paid my insurance every month on time. They insure my home and also two Classic Cars, 3 regular vehicles and a motorcycle. When I started my insurance with American Family Insurance they usually just have you sign paperwork and give them money to start their insurance policy, never feeling the need to go over everything with you when you ask questions. Of course they divert your questions by distracting you with other questions but never really answering your questions. Well about a month ago my fiance, who doesn't drive, doesn't own a car and doesn't see the need to have car insurance of her own, borrowed my car under an emergency situation and a woman ran a dog in the middle of the road and she rear-ended a truck.

The insurance company had no issues. They asked what happened during the accident and said that she needed to be added to my insurance policy. I stated that she doesn't usually drive, it was a one-time thing and they asked if she had car insurance. I said no because she doesn't own a car. They said “ok we will get back to you.” Everything went quiet seemed fine. Well as my luck would have it I got in a motorcycle accident three weeks ago. I have full coverage on my Harley and I'm still making payments on it. This is where the insurance policy gets fun. They waited until my Harley accident to threatened me that if I don't add my fiance to my insurance policy they're going to cancel my insurance. Now mind you she doesn't drive and it was an emergency situation which I have explained to them. They waited until my Harley was in a tow yard to tell me “If you don't add her we're going to cancel your policy.”

When I asked them what gives them a right to do that and why I needed to add her, they informed me that anybody that lives in the household with me needs to be added to my insurance policy just in case an incident like this happens. I asked them why until now did they wait to tell me that when I started my policy and that I also live with four roommates. I did tell them I was not comfortable with the fact that they were trying to force me to do something that they never informed me I had to do five years ago. When she said cancel my policy I sent her a message asking her what the grounds were, why she was doing it and what she needed. Of course she did not answer my question. She just send back the same question "Does your fiance have her own car insurance?" Of course I stated "no she doesn't own a car, why would she have car insurance."

The agent simply states “Here's the underwriters number. You can contact them.” When I asked about my motorcycle she told me the claims guy would be contacting me on Monday. That was two weeks ago. I have not heard anything since. My motorcycle is sitting in a tow yard and the car that my fiance got in an accident, she covered her own medical bills and she paid to get fixed. The only thing that American Family Insurance had to pay for was the other guys truck. What they're telling me now is that he's claiming to be injured. During the accident the guy didn't bother calling the police. He got out of his truck and started calling his insurance company walking around denied any kind of medical help from the fire department and told the police department he was perfectly fine and had no issues. We informed our insurance of this and instead of listening to us they just keep on repeating “You need to add her to your insurance.”

When I asked how much my policy it would go up if I added my fiance to my insurance policy, because of my classic cars, motorcycle and other vehicles l will be paying over $800 a month in insurance which is why I'm pretty sure they want her to be added. American Family Insurance is denying and saying that they did explain this to me that it is common knowledge, everyone knows that all occupants in a home need to be added. Also stating that I also neglected to tell them about my 5 roommates and other occupants of my home. Which is weird that they say that considering the fact that I insured my home through them and had to give them the names and number of occupants in my home in order for them to cover the home insurance.

So knowing the agent did not do his job properly, did not inform me of needing to add anyone to my insurance policy and also to the fact I asked them “If my brother wanted to test drive my vehicle and took it out for a spin and got in an accident with it would you also be making me add him to my insurance policy?” She literally said “Well does he live with you.” So car insurance companies now hold the right to force you to release all information of your life to them before they cover an accident. But they will wait until they have you in a ruff spot so they can deny it. What is the point of insurance companies if they are going to freak out if you have an accident. So when you add people, if they are non driver of your vehicle, you need to have them send in their own car insurance information, their license and all their personal information SSI number etc... to your insurance company to prove that they are not driving your vehicle.

I don't know how many people would be happy to release so much personal information to another person or company they are not affiliated with. American Family Insurance waited until my motorcycle needed to be fixed, which, is an $8,000 claim, that they will cancel not just the one vehicle on my insurance policy but all of my insurance if I do not put my fiance to my insurance policy and pay over $800 a month. I would have no problem adding just one person who drives on a policy that I know would be driving my car at a decent price but adding her will make it go up to $800 a month not including my roommates.

Worst part is they keep treating my fiance like crap over this accident when it's an accident they happen. She shouldn't have to deal with such harassment and hostility or even being threatened to be sued by them over a small accident that everyone has. Why are they going to sue her for the money when they know it's my money anyway. When we get married I will be just as responsible for the cost as she is so why not just cover it now.

I have been a long-term customer of American Family (Arvada, CO), having both my auto and homeowner's policy with them. 2 1/2 years ago, I had my first claim, a slide on the ice that only damaged my vehicle, no other vehicles or property were involved. Am Fam paid for repairs (less my deductible), and of course raised my rates immediately. I just received another notice of a rate increase, again citing the accident as the cause. The agent would not respond to my questions of why I was being hit twice with rate increases, so I have moved on to another carrier. If this is how my long term business is valued, they have not earned my money or respect.

My daughter is currently on the side of the road, a rural route (2 lane road) with virtually no shoulder waiting for someone to come and change her tire. She has been there for an hour. After her initial call she got another message 30 minutes later saying the first company to assist would not do tire changes. Evidently they just decided that 30 minutes into the wait. So AmFam gets another company who says it will take 90 minutes to get there!! A 2 HOUR WAIT! On the side of the road with cars whizzing past.

The roadside dispatch says that the area she is in, 5 miles out of a major college town in Ohio is a "hard area to get roadside assistance"???!!! A multimillion dollar company can't get somebody in a 30 mile radius out to her to change a tire in a timely manner? Give me a break! Furthermore, if roadside assistance companies commit and then break their commitment THEY SHOULD NOT BE USED ANYMORE AND INSURANCE COMPANIES WHO DO THE SAME SHOULDN'T BE either!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Me & my daughter had purchased used vehicles in July 2016, we both signed up with American Family Insurance for our autos. Everything was going OK until August 2016. For some reason my daughter's auto was added to my policy, she already had an auto policy of her own with American Family. I called my agent Mike **, and asked him why she was added to my policy. He had no answer for the mistake, he said that he would remove her from my policy. I waited a few days and received in the mail a reminder to pay my premium, on the reminder they still had my daughter's car on my policy. So again I called my agent back, he said that her car should have been removed from my policy. He said that they had a new system and that him & his secretary was not familiar with the system yet. I suggested to my agent to call the main office and maybe they could walk him through the process of removing my daughter's car from my policy.

To make a long story short, my policy canceled before he could get her off my, and to make things even worse American Family never offered to reinstate my policy for free, my agent told me that I needed to pay 3- months of premiums in order to reinstate my policy. They also never gave me any time to shop for another insurance company. They notified the financial company that holds the loan to my vehicle, they knew what they cost me and they were taking advantage of the bad situation that they had left me in. I would advise anyone to stay away from this company, they are not honest and they don't take the blame for their mistakes. They don't train their agents when new systems and such are out in place. I don't feel that I trust this company to be there when I need them.

My recent experience with AmFam has been terrible. First off I called them to reissue a policy for a different vehicle (big mistake). I had cancelled a policy on a different vehicle a month before. The agent I was assigned was "out of the country" so I was rerouted to a different agency to reinstate the policy. This was on Sept 17. So I go to register the vehicle and the tag office tells me they don't have proof of insurance. Called the agency and they were unable to electronically send proof of insurance so I paid for 14 days for a car I couldn't even register or drive until the agent decided to come back to the US... Now they're telling me my payment for this month was due 13 days early because my due date was set for the 4th of every month and reinstated my policy on a 17th. WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!

They also tried to tell me they refunded me my payment to reinstate my policy I made on the 17th of Sept which was why bill was like the way it was which was a bold face lie. Also turned out they never cancelled my car insurance policy for the month of August up to Sept 17th so they were charging me money for a car that I told them to cancel the policy on I wasn't driving and that I didn't even own anymore. Then tried to tell me I owed for that month when I had already cancelled and paid the balance off. Also let them to talk me into renters insurance which they claim covers anything in the home from damage. Yeah right. I'll be cancelling that policy soon. Bill ** expect another call from me! Also told an agent to hold on for me (he was waiting maybe 15 seconds I kid you not). I get back on the phone and the guy puts me on hold! Long story short they have proved to be unreliable, dishonest, and untrustworthy. This is me giving my HONEST opinion.

Where do I start. Oh, OK... I am from Colorado. First of all if I could give them "0" or "-100" I would gladly do!!! I am a proud single Mom with 3 kids and finally one of them is driving a car and I am not talking about the car from "Toys R US"... LOL. We had a car insurance with "Geico" and paid $380 (my Son drives with a driver license less than 3 years and he is 18) for both cars covered full liability and full tour with $250 deductible. This was the BEST deal around, not ONLY that I consider Geico the BEST company for Customer service as well (very friendly, willing to work with you), but anyway I am not here to write how good Geico is even though I strongly believe they are. I forgot to mention to you (reader) that my Son's car has a "Salvage" Title.

One day I went to my bank and one of the tellers asked me who is my car insurance company, I told her and she said, "Let's just check and see if American Family Insurance would give you a better rate," so long story make short we got on the phone... and after an hour and a half and I am not joking 1.5 on the phone with them, after I told them that Title was Salvage combining Car and Home insurance together they came up with a quote of $320. I was so happy that my Son could save $60 a month because car insurance and gas for the car it's his responsibility. So I went home and all was good till we got a letter from them saying that our car insurance is going up $168.50, because "AutoPay Discount and Paperless Discount was removed," so I called them and they told me that I did not registered for this discounts... BUT the truth is I was told by their agent that I DO NOT have to do anything else.

I gave them all payment information and it's all taken care off. However I said: That the ONLY registration e-mail that I got was for Home Insurance and I did register! And for God Sake how do you RISE my payment by almost $170 a month!!! Later I said, "Ok, send me a link to register!!!" And that was the time where the whole hell broke loose!!! The TRUTH FINALLY CAME OUT!!! They accused me in NOT telling them that one of the cars had a Salvage Title and because of that my insurance went up that much, not ONLY that they do not insure Salvage cars for full tort ONLY Liability!!! WHAT? Did I hear that right???

I asked for a Manager and they got Him on the phone, his name is "David..." and he told me that all calls are monitored and that he will pull up the call and will personally listen to it!!! Also David said that American Family Insurance DOES NOT cover Salvage Titles Cars and that he cannot believe that if I said that from the beginning I was given the quote!!! But anyhow he will get back to me within 24 Hours!!!

I said OK and it was 10/04/2016. Now 72 hours at least later, I had no phone call from them, no explanation... nothing!!! I talked to about 3-4 other people with regular car titles and they had same story as me with this so called Insurance company, this is just SAD!!! In the end I came back to Geico, but this time it cost us $80 more a month!!! Please do not insure with them. THEY WILL TELL YOU ANYTHING YOU WANT TO HEAR AND THEN WILL STICK YOU WITH A BILL (hoping you will not leave them), but the worst part is that it will most likely it will cost you more to come back to your cheaper insurance!!!

My wife's car was rear-ended by a client of American Family. I filed the claim with them, having been told to do so by my own insurer and by the police officer who wrote the report. They said they needed to talk with my wife and left her one message, which she immediately returned. After hearing nothing else for three weeks, I called in order to move the process along in a friendly way. I reached Dave **, the adjuster, who immediately became defensive and blamed her for not returning any of his many phone calls. He then became adversarial and disrespectful of me, wondering why I would think that his client was responsible. I complained to his supervisor, who defended him as a wonderful person. When ** did reach my wife, he was abusive towards her and told her the "claim was out." When behavior like this is supported by the supervisor, it is clear that there is a culture of disrespect.

American Family Insurance has proven to be a dishonest company with questionable business practices that are not even in alignment with their own stated values. In April, I was hit by a distracted driver insured by AF. I continue to fight for a fair settlement while AF minimizes the impact on my life and well-being. It took me weeks and several manager requests before I even got a call back and was connected to an adjuster. The adjuster proceeded to patronize me and outright lie, stating she did not have my phone number. The rest of the process has been just as disingenuous and infuriating.

I will be fighting for a higher settlement than I might have accepted had American Family behaved with class and fairness. It's unfortunate that in a case where law enforcement, witnesses, drivers and common sense all attest that their driver was 100% at fault, we are headed towards litigation. It's a waste of their customer's money, resources and faith. I think American Family is big enough that they probably get away with bullying the little guy far too often. I won't be among that group, but more importantly I wonder why you would want to give your money to a company that conducts itself in this way.

I canceled my Homeowners with American Family after my roof was the only roof around my home that wasn't totaled in a hail storm. Fast forward 4 year. I was driving straight and the light turned yellow as I got to the intersection The American Family customer that turned left on the yellow in front of me is only 90% at fault for making the illegal move. She was ticketed. I was going straight, didn't run the light or break the law, as a matter of fact, I was within the law as I cleared the intersection. Their customer turned left in front of me.

I had no ability to avoid the accident but I did my best not to allow it to be a T-bone collision and minimized the damage. The man who called to take my recorded statement and is the adjust has been incredibly rude on every call. He has reminded me three times now that just because the other party got the ticket and broke the law and caused the accident, that doesn't mean they are liable for all the damages. They have suggested I pay 10% or engage my insurance to pay the balance. That is not acceptable. I'm seeking an attorney.

I made the mistake of contacting this company after one of its members destroyed my car and her insurance company called me to get a statement. NEVER TALK TO ANOTHER PARTIES INSURANCE COMPANY. American family said I was partly liable for the accident even though a witness contradicted this with a written statement. American Family made an assumption based on what I said - they don't care about the truth. They are also liars and lazy - as they don't even bother to use the white pages to find an address.

Was T boned by a 17 yr. old girl on her cell phone and she ran a red light and admitted it. I have been in intense pain and suffering for 4 months now suffering from severe whiplash, vertigo, and neck and back pain. I can barely work at all and when I do I am miserable. Every time I call they tell me another agent will call me back and I never get any response from anyone. This company should not be allowed to insure anyone. They make you hire an attorney for all claims filed. Everyone I have talked with talks trash on this company for their inability to pay out to suffering people even when their client admits fault, the police report indicates it and all my Dr.S send them bills and they never fess up to anyone. This company can GO ** themselves. Shame on them for doing this.

I am with State Farm for more than 13 years and was solicited by American family to bring my policies over. The first agent canceled the appointment a few minutes before (Rick **, mn). A day wasted. The second agent (Tippie **, MN) never showed up. 2nd day wasted. The 3rd agent did not have manners and brought someone else to the meeting without informing beforehand. As I told him that this was not agreed upon he yelled in front of my house that I should find another insurance. I exactly did that. 3 days wasted. I called their corporate. They don't even think it is necessary to call back. I am glad I am not insured with them. Imagine how they would treat you as a customer.

I have had this insurance for 2 years and in these two years, I have had my policy cancelled twice, without being told. I drove without insurance for months without knowing. Their excuse was, "We sent you letters" and the reason for canceling was non-payment, even though they were supposed to take the money out of my bank account, as originally setup. When I checked with my bank, no attempt had been made to get money out of my account. My account was untouched. This insurance is not only very expensive, but also has people who don't care about their customers. If I had gotten into an accident while I was driving without insurance, I would have had to pay a lot of money out of pocket. If I had been stopped by the police, my car would have been towed. There were no apologies to rectify this and no remorse whatsoever. If you don't want trouble stay away from this insurance company.

My husband and I have had American Family for over 5 years now and never had an issue until this past May. I renewed our policy for a lower rate and was expecting it to start on the date it's always been. The 17th. So after my automatic payment (always been in place) was taken out, I noticed it was double the actual amount. After contacting my agent, I was told it was an error and they'd correct it. After a few days, I was sent a voicemail stating we were good through July. Our first payment won't be due till July.

Then the first week in July I get a notice telling me I'm 3 months behind on my car insurance. Baffled, I called corporate. Found out the double payment they took in May paid my renters insurance in full and they never touched my auto. Now who gave that kind of permission??? Next I find out that my husband is no longer a named insured. And again who gave permission??? I'm at my wits end with this shady company. Don't waste your time or money.

3 months ago my car was hit on the side by their insured driver who made an illegal left turn because she was not paying attention and hit my passenger side. I took pictures and video of the other driver admitting fault. My car was a brand new Subaru so I wanted to get the car fixed ASAP even though it will never be the same since it's been in an accident now. I got the police report and all her insurance info. I waited about 3 weeks and did not hear anything back from there after submitting pictures, police report, and video and all they could say was because the person who hit me hasn't talked to them they can't do anything.

I had to go through my own insurance (Progressive) and pay my $1,000 deductible to repair the damages and pay $230 for a week rental while my vehicle was in the shop for 10 days. My insurance company is currently in the process of getting my deductible back. If they are unable to do so in the next few weeks I will file complaints against the company and the adjuster Jessica ** based in the St Louis area. The company is only good at holding out on paying for their insured's mistakes as long as possible. I will also sue the other driver in a small claims court as well. I have been patient and I'm glad I went through my insurance in the meantime or else I would still be driving a damaged car which was in brand new condition. I do not recommend this company to any friends or family.

Sub-Agent for American Family Insurance in Marietta, Georgia under Bobby ** whose name was Indiana ** led me to believe that I would save $800 in changing my auto, homeowners and umbrella liability to American Family. The sub-agent couldn't wait to charge my credit card for several thousand dollars. As time went on, the savings shrunk from $800 to $51. I told them to cancel my insurance on the effective date and return my money. American Family and my agent are saying the "check is in the mail". It's amazing how quick they can charge your account but how long it takes to send a check. If it was mailed, it went by Australia and New Zealand. If you are getting a quote from these people, be very, very careful. Don't allow them to charge your account until the savings are absolutely confirmed. I will be filing a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner of Georgia tomorrow.

It took them over 2 weeks to accept liability when their driver hit me from behind. Now they are giving me the run around telling me that different people are handling different parts of my claim. One person is handling the car damage, another paying me for being off work, back pain, etc. Of course that person has never once returned a phone call. I think their strategy is stalling until you sue their customer. So anyone thinking of getting this insurance thinking they will have your back, don't!

We have been with American Family Ins. for 20 plus years. Have had 3 different agents during that time do to agents quitting and also us moving. Never in my life have I had an agent like Stephanie Wendrick treat me so bad as a customer. I was involved in a accident in April 2016 and Stephanie's Assistant told me it was my place to call the police and get all the information. The police told me that they would not give me the information, it is up to the insurance company to do their job. I ended up getting my report on my own and dealt with Allstate Insurance myself. I have to say I would give them 5 Stars. They took care of me like I was one of their own. Now it is June 2016 and I changed insurance companies due to the unprofessionalism of Stephanie Wendrick's Agency. They are that bad!! Not only does she argue with her customers, but she shows her assistants how to argue with the customers. Very unprofessional!!

My son should only have one accident on his record and now he has three because they claimed the one twice and another one which was not his fault, she told me not to claim it because it was on private property and he drives an older car. Well, the other people made a claim and got 1,503.00 without the agency even getting our side of the story and didn't even know this happened until 20 months later when we changed insurance companies. For your sake please check around with other insurance companies and you will get much better Customer Service from other insurance companies!! I would recommend State Farm or Allstate. Their agents are very professional and also the assistants are very professional too. We were ripped off for almost 3 years for 2 claims on our insurance that should not have been claimed, due to American Family not checking with their customers first!!

First of all, this is the worst insurance company ever. Would not recommend it. My wheels were stolen on 6/2/16 and I called the insurance to see if my wheels were covered by them and they said yes. A day later the adjuster came to my house to look at the damages and I was given an estimate for $1,300 but on that estimate they gave me the price for RECYCLED wheels $232 and the wrong size and model of my wheels, brand new cost $1500 each. Then I wasn't happy of course.

I called them back and ask why I was given this estimate with recycled wheels in it. They did fixed it but AGAIN the prices were off and they gave me tires 18" but wheels 19." Now how in the world am I gonna mount 18' tires on 19' wheels? I called the wheel company where they got the prices from and I was told that the price for my wheels is $520, not $232. I emailed them back and asked why the prices don't match and told them to fix the prices on tires since they don't know about sizes.

They fixed the prices but I was only given $200 more. I was not satisfied with the estimate and I was told to go to Mazda Dealership and get a quote on brand new wheels and tires. The estimate Mazda gave me was for $8000, now the questions is: Are they trying to rob me? Why are they giving me $1,500? There's a huge difference from $1,500 to $8,000. It's been a week now and I'm still not satisfied with the service this company has given me. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS "COMPANY."

My wife had been a customer of AFI for 7 years before we met. When we got married, we switched my insurance to AFI and we have been good customers. There has never been a late payment in a total of 15 years. We insured two cars and our home through them during that time. During that 15 years, we cost them within a few hundred dollars of $6000.00 to provide us with insurance. We used the tow service, got hit by a deer, and I ran into a parked car one morning hurrying to a meeting. In that time, they received approximately, $27000.00 from my wife and I.

They listed my recent accident as the reason to discontinue my insurance. For some reason, they discontinued my wife's insurance as well. I read positive reviews that stated that AFI had stayed with other customers through worse for longer. The other reason that they canceled me and my wife is that they claim that they can't get my driving record. I gave them my id number on the phone twice and all information they asked for. It's also a matter of public record. That leads me to believe that they filed their request for my driving record with an error. They are using my middle name on the attached document instead of the one that is on my driver's license. They did not contact me to clear up the issue of the driver's record being unavailable. Possibly, they made the decision because they failed getting my name right. An error they could have cleared up with a phone call.

Next, my wife and I had full coverage. We did not opt on this claim to have AFI pay for my cars repairs. The value of my cars repairs would be less than the repairs would cost. It would have cost the company needlessly as the damage was minor but expensive. Had we opted to have the repairs to my vehicle done, AFI would have been charged a few thousand for the auto body work to replace the bumper, we would have been out half of that, and we would have a few scratches removed. Didn't seem right to charge the company that for my mistake and my car is worth a few hundred dollars more.

In my opinion they are untrustworthy to keep their end of the deal. They are probably a good company except for in the business of insurance. If you want to have a higher chance for an insurance company that is trustworthy you have lots of options. American Family Insurance is currently 15th of customer satisfaction on a list that includes 20 other companies according to insure.com as of April 21st, 2016. We are canceling our home insurance through them.

04/07/2016 someone pulled out in front of me and I totaled my car. This person has American Family Insurance, it has been one thing after another. It took 3 days to get a rental even though the police report stated the other driver was at fault. It took until 04/14/2016 for an adjuster to come look at the car and state it was totaled. Once this was done I was advised I need to give the rental car back. I was then told that I need to mail my title to a address that was provided then they would mail me my check for the car. I asked how am I suppose to get another car without a check plus I had to give back the rent a car.

I was told "It can take up to 4 weeks for you to get your check. We are sorry for the inconvenience." My reply was shock so it's okay for American Family to take their time in getting my payment for my car to me but has no concerns on what a burden this on me to have to figure out driving or trying to buy a car without a payment. POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE ALL THE WAY AROUND.

I had someone hit our brand new Grand Cherokee and the driver took off. We followed him to where he lived. The police came, could not locate him but impounded the car. Detective called me two days later saying they charge the driver with hit and run, leaving a scene of an accident and driving without a license. The mother was the owner of the car and son who is 17 took the car without her knowledge. But still make the owner responsible. I have two kids myself and I always made sure we had insurance on any car they drove, and if they drove our car and were involved in an accident we know as parents we are totally responsible.

We have State Farm and have been with them 26 years and never had we had to go through the hoops like we are going through with American Family. They are crooked and do not return calls. The agent we have been dealing with keeps telling us they have to talk to the driver. It has been 2 months now and they still have not been able to talk to the driver and dragging us on. The damage was only around $2200.00 and no injuries, but you know what my back and my wife's back seem to be hurting lately.

Our insurance State Farm would never do the crap this company does. Most my family is from Wisconsin and I told all my family and friends "switch insurance as fast as you can. This company wants your payment monthly but does nothing for you." I know I do not belong to them, but to be treated like we are the ones at fault is ridiculous and unjustified. If this is the way they handle their claims I hope they go out of business to save a lot of people headaches down the road.

I was exiting a parking lot after a movie and a client of American Family backed into me. I figure it's obvious it's their clients fault. It turns out I'm responsible for 20% of the cost because "I was there". AmFam sends a claims adjuster who lowballs me on cost of repair. They refuse to budge. I turned the claim into my own insurance company who spent some time trying to convince me not to file the claim and how much it could cost me. I filed anyhow and will see what happens. Conclusion is insurance companies will do anything to save a buck no matter at whose peril.

Your property insurance goes up 25 percent every year. Switching vehicles or cancelling gives you a remaining balance that's unjustified. I asked not to be pro-rated, only to be pro-rated. I called my agent from the Greenfield WI location only to get that there's NOTHING he can do for me regarding a remaining balance bill. I called the 1800 number to go over my records only to get straight LIED too. She hung up the phone when I caught her in a LIE. RUN NOW. CANCEL.

I file a claim with American Family Insurance company in April 2015, this company will not return calls or try to settle claim. This company just want to collect your money, for me I been with them for over 10 years and this is my first claim, and they act as if their job is to only collect your money. Storm damage destroyed my business, all my customer furniture, as well as my personal property. This company acts like I didn't have no insurance and still today no response.

If I could rate this place lower than a star I would! They were overcharging me $55 a month for over 2 years. When I got quoted a much lower price from another insurance company I became suspicious why mine was so much higher for so long. Turns out that they decided to put me down for full coverage and high coverage when it wasn't what I asked for. My car is crappy, trust me... nobody would think about full coverage for that thing. My parents were also with me and know I said "just liability". I also got screwed paying a year of renters insurance when I was living with my parents. They offered $300 to forgive and forget when I paid over $1300 more than I ever should have to then.

My brother also was getting charged for 2 cars when he canceled one of them a year ago. He called about to and they said that he wasn't paying for it but it would show up on his billing statement. When we went in to get my stuff figured out we saw that his car was never canceled. At least they are doing right by him and reimbursing that money back, but it never would have even been caught if we didn't have to figure my situation out. They said they wanted to make it right, but when I went in there I felt like they were blaming me and the agent but not the company itself. The fact the company is blaming me for a mistake one of their agents made makes me so mad. They lost a customer.

My truck was stolen from my garage in Dec 2015. The police finally got it back on Jan 17, 2016. The truck has an extra 4717.0 miles on it now. Still fighting with American family to have truck re keyed and also compensation for the miles on the truck! The value of the truck with the extra miles dropped it 1100.00. The police didn't recover the key in the bust. Now my truck security is compromised!! I have talked to my agent, and also to customer service and still no word back on it. Would not recommend American family to anyone at all!!

An American family Ins. customer Backed into the Ryder rental truck I had rented doing $2400.00 damage. I had purchased rental Ins. from Ryder. The deductible was $1000.00. American Family Ins. offers to pay me $800.00 NOT the $1000.00 I'm charged by Ryder. Due to their customer at fault, I'm out $200.00 plus the time involved to do the police report and all other paperwork. Accident happened Dec. 8th no conclusion from Am Fam until REPEATED phone calls to them asking for claim update status. (Jan 12th) Very poor experience with American Family Ins. I'm Contacting IL Dept of Insurance next.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Profile