Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
American Family Insurance - Auto
1.40/5

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

American Family Insurance is a mid-level insurance company for those looking to bundle home and auto or get comprehensive coverage for less than some of the major brands. Many customers report years of good customer service.

PROS

• Local, personalized service available
  • Offers annual, semi-annual or monthly payment options
  • Can pay in person or online
  • Friendly customer service available over the phone

CONS

• Con second point with more text.
  • Claims processing times may vary

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

American Family Insurance - Auto Reviews

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

My agency is thoughtful enough to give a call when a payment is late. I've had a couple other companies and none have gone to this extent to help a client. I've been with this particular agent for 20+ years.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been an American Family Insurance customer since 2001 and Unfortunately, I had 2 claims recently 4/2018 and 1/2019. Both were water damage claims. The adjuster Deandre was very prompt and professional. Both of my claims were handled quickly and smoothly. I was very pleased also with the professionalism of the claims department 800 customer service. American Family paid both of my claims without any issues. The first one was on the smaller side this last claim was close to $3000.00. I have not received my homeowner's insurance renewal yet and hope I can remain a customer of theirs. Unfortunately, there are things beyond the homeowner's control especially when they happen unexpectedly. Luckily I was home when both incidents occurred and that helped to mitigate damage to our home.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

They were quick, kind. I didn't feel as though I was being tricked in any way. I was highly recommend American Family Insurance and that's from somebody who was hit by one of their clients. She made sure I had a rental car within 24 hours. I look forward to finishing out this policy with her. I feel as though I'm going to be treated very well and very fair.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The company is great, and our local agent is there for us. We really feel at home with this company. They go to bat for us and we've been customers for almost 20 years. The only issue that isn't above average is the cost, it's quite pricey and we've recently thought about switching to something else; we'd like to save some of our hard earned money.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been with this insurance company for a number of years. Insurance agents are always very helpful in answering questions and filing claims. Quick response and payments whenever I have needed to file a claim. Good discounts and rates.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I will not go into detail about my horrible experience. Would take too long, nothing about this company is good, I only had one customer service rep that explained everything and gave me the right info, I will never use this company again and will tell everyone not to use them for any reason!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Had American Family Insurance for many years but every claim I've made which has been only been less than 5 over 20 years have always been an uphill battle, They refuse to pay no matter what the situation or who's at fault. All they want to do is take your money and never support you or pay you when you need them. I've had to fight and Claw my way to every claim everywhere from threatening lawsuits to filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau. As of Saturday I will be with another insurance company. They have lost seven policies from me. What a bunch of money hungry Cheapskates! Stay away from American Family.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I had an accident in March of 2019 and six months later, I am still waiting for payment (I was not the party at fault). They will do anything to not make a payment on a claim and their insurance agents will dodge your phone calls, unless you surprise them with a call from a different number. Dozens of emails remain unanswered, voicemails, messages through other colleagues. Terrible company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Their insured rear-ended me and they won’t process the claim until they speak with the insured. Well, he’s not calling them back and did not initiate the claim. So what happens to me in the meantime!!! I’m without a vehicle that’s what! Their suggestion was to go through my insurance. Why should I pay anything out of pocket when it was his fault!!! I am so pissed right now!!! Low rate insurance.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Their insured hit my car and totaled it. It was towed to a salvage yard and I was forbidden to get my personal items out of it for over a month! They did not return phone calls and finally told me that even though their insured was ticketed for failure to yield they needed to review a video from a local businesses security video. I waited another four weeks and then I had to go pay for the video and send it to the registered mail only to have the agent quest liability because my car did not stop to avoid the accident and they want percentage of liability on my vehicle. This company is a very unfair, unprofessional, sleazy organization. I will have to take the at fault party to small claims to get compensated. They are horrible!!

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information