4.0/5 (494 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance is a mid-level insurance company designed for drivers looking for affordable, comprehensive auto coverage and those who want to bundle home and auto policies. You can access American Family Insurance’s discounts by bundling multiple types of coverage. The company offers diminishing deductible plans and a tool that helps find repair shops.

Pros

• Competitive prices
  • Diminishing deductible insurance
  • Bundle discounts

Cons

• Available in only 19 states
  • Services can be confusing

Bottom Line

American Family Insurance offers several incentives for safe driving. Drivers can bundle policies to claim discounts. American Family has various coverage options, including diminishing deductible insurance.

Top American Family Insurance - Auto Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had an awesome experience with American Family. My wife and I were rear-ended by an uninsured driver near Chicago… American Family's claims department was actually able to chase...

Verified

I have been with this insurance company for a number of years. Insurance agents are always very helpful in answering questions and filing claims. Quick response and payments whene...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

What is American Family auto insurance?

American Family Insurance offers vehicle insurance for cars, motorcycles, boats, RVs and ATVs, as well as home, renters, farm, condo and landlord insurance for property and business. Its Dreams Restored Program removes the hard work of finding a repair shop to ensure you get quick, reliable service. Mexico car insurance and diminishing deductible insurance, which lowers the rate of your deductible, is also available.

American Family’s Teen Safe Driver app monitors risky driving, helping your teen become a safer driver while keeping an eye on their driving progress. Its KnowYourDrive app offers usage-based car insurance that provides drivers up to 20% in discounts depending on their safety level. Good driving and defensive driver discount programs reward responsible driving, but it's limited to residents of certain states.

How does American Family’s auto insurance work?

First, choose the American Family coverage that suits you best, then you can lower your premiums by selecting savings options, such as multipolicy or multicar discounts. American Family’s car insurance options include:

• Collision
  • Underinsured
  • Rental reimbursement
  • Emergency road service
  • Accidental death coverage

The company also offers bundling discounts, so you can combine your American Family car and home policies to save 29% on auto coverage and 20% on homeowners insurance. You can increase these savings by adding life insurance.

American Family auto insurance rates and costs

American Family’s average car coverage rates range from $1,328 to $1,412 per year; a 25-year-old man would pay, on average, $1,695 annually, and a 35-year-old woman would pay $1,322. A 60-year-old man would pay around $1,228. The company offers discounts for safe drivers, young drivers and family. It also has a diminishing deductible insurance option, which lowers your deductible so you can better prepare for unforeseen expenses if you make a claim.

Its KnowYourDrive app, a usage-based car insurance program, offers up to 20% in discounts, depending on driver safety. It also offers the potential of a 10% auto premium relief credit, as well as a variety of discounts.

American Family auto insurance FAQ

Does American Family Insurance cover car rentals?
Yes. If your car is in the shop or not drivable due to a covered loss, you can take advantage of rental reimbursement coverage, which helps pay for a rental while your car is repaired. Reimbursements include ride-share, taxi, city bus, light rail and commuter train travel.
Does American Family Insurance have accident forgiveness?
Yes, it does offer accident forgiveness. If you’ve been accident-free for five years or longer, you qualify for accident forgiveness and can avoid a rate increase after a first-at-fault accident. Policyholders who demonstrate good driving behavior may qualify for a lower deductible.
Where is American Family Insurance available?
American Family is available in 19 states: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin.
Will American Family Insurance tow my car?
Yes — if you enroll in its emergency roadside assistance coverage, American Family covers towing.

Is American Family Insurance good?

American Family Insurance offers various coverage options, and its bundling discounts help policyholders save money. It also provides accident forgiveness and optional emergency roadside assistance coverage. It’s available only in select states, but we recommend its policies for drivers in its coverage area who want insurance with multiple perks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance - Auto?

Original review: June 30, 2022

I have had a bundled AMFAM policy for about 8 years. I’ve recently got a new agent (not my doing) and in a few short months this new agent has managed to literally destroy my auto policies. Screwed them up so bad I’m currently uninsured and had the nerve to blame AMFAM. Either way, I’m screwed and this is a warning. If they have agents this incompetent it’s their fault and if it’s AMFAM then shame on them again. Now I have to spend my July 4 holiday getting new insurance and losing all my grandfathered policies. Almost sue mad!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I had a accident w a driver who had American Family. After almost a week they told me they were not at fault. The idiot driver was some young driver high almost drove into me as I exited my vehicle I was parked. The idiot flew into the parking spot next to me w/out looking. Many witnesses say the idiot hit me. After american fam viewed the store security camera they told me I had time to avoid the accident. Now I have a sagging door thanks to the idiot rich boy. Screw you american fam. Nothing American about them

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

This AMFAM is a HORRIBLE company that covers any vehicle EASILY but always tries to find a fault in the information provided at the time of adding it to the policy ONLY to ESCAPE and AVOID PAYING IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT! PLEASE MOVE AWAY without waiting to personally experience and end up with the huge loss of funds. I sincerely request you to pass on this information to all of your contacts!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

American Family Insurance is a horrible company. In a recent minor car accident, they never came out to investigate, ignored state statutes, believed the other claimant without evidence or eyewitnesses, and discounted the evidence that we presented. Avoid this company at all costs. They will take your money and do nothing to defend you.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

A driver that has American Family Insurance rear ended me in my almost new 2019 Buick. I had around 30,000 miles on it. It took a month for them to approve my car repairs. When I called three times to ask for diminished value on my car I finally got a call back from the company offering me $300.00 dollars. When I said that my diminished value was over $3,000 I was told the most they would offer me is $600.00. They are trying to rip me off and when you lose that much value by no fault of your own that shows me what kind of company you're dealing with. I have never had to deal with a company as bad as this one. I would not recommended them to anyone. I'm going to have to get a attorney involved to make them do what's right.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Deceptive auto support/coverage! If a household becomes a victim of a hit and run... After many, many years! No thanks AMFAM! REALLY, NO THANKS! It's been over a month now and still nothing to support your covered payees! Gees, thanks, but really no thanks!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

It is included with my regular insurance and seems to be the best fit rather than pay for an outside company to do the same thing. So many times whether it is clubs or add-ons for television, gym membership add-ons ... we end up not using them for the extra cost.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Everyone needs to check with their insurance. This is the cheapest way to have roadside service, if you don't have it for free with a new car. It is only roughly $12 a year. I tell everyone, when talking about insurance or roadside. You can also pay to have car rental, in case you need a car because yours is being repaired.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I was in an auto accident and the driver at fault had American Family Insurance. The driver turned in front of me in a roundabout and American Family is saying I'm 20% at fault because I didn't see her turning in front of me. I would never ever use this company for any type of insurance. It took over 2 weeks for them to get back to me after the accident for them to tell me I was partially at fault.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Ever since we moved to this company, all our dealings with customer service and claims, our experiences have been outstanding. The personal touches from our agent makes it pleasurable to deal with. We feel we are not just customers but a member of their family. They make it easy to routinely update our policies. Simple visits from agents to our homes whenever we inquire about new changes in our policy makes us feel like VIPs.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information