Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
American Family Insurance - Auto
1.38/5

American Family Insurance - Auto

American Family Insurance (AmFam) sells auto, homeowners and other property insurance. AmFam doesn't participate in the InsuraMatch program, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. You can get quotes from all their partners with one simple call to InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

American Family Insurance is a mid-level insurance company for those looking to bundle home and auto or get comprehensive coverage for less than some of the major brands. Many customers report years of good customer service.

PROS

• Local, personalized service available
  • Offers annual, semi-annual or monthly payment options
  • Can pay in person or online
  • Friendly customer service available over the phone

CONS

• Con second point with more text.
  • Claims processing times may vary

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

American Family Insurance - Auto Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I have been with American Family Insurance for about 8 years. When my jewelry was stolen from the house we lived in they covered it, when my son was in a wreck it was covered, no issues, easy claim reporting. They even called and spoke to the police for my son to verify his coverage before I could get to the accident. They handled the claim, spoke with the other person's insurance company. They even check on my son several times after the accident to see if he needed additional help. My agent is willing to help keep the payment in a range I can afford. I have had other insurance prior to American family that was not easy to work with and cost more. American family is affordable insurance with great coverage plus a personal touch, they care.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

My agency is thoughtful enough to give a call when a payment is late. I've had a couple other companies and none have gone to this extent to help a client. I've been with this particular agent for 20+ years.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been an American Family Insurance customer since 2001 and Unfortunately, I had 2 claims recently 4/2018 and 1/2019. Both were water damage claims. The adjuster Deandre was very prompt and professional. Both of my claims were handled quickly and smoothly. I was very pleased also with the professionalism of the claims department 800 customer service. American Family paid both of my claims without any issues. The first one was on the smaller side this last claim was close to $3000.00. I have not received my homeowner's insurance renewal yet and hope I can remain a customer of theirs. Unfortunately, there are things beyond the homeowner's control especially when they happen unexpectedly. Luckily I was home when both incidents occurred and that helped to mitigate damage to our home.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I put a claim in with American Family Insurance on 09/30/19 because my vehicle was in an accident with one of their clients on 09/25. Their client was cited for failure to yield and listed as at fault on the police report. Without any investigation, and without the claims adjuster speaking to me on 10/02 I received a voicemail denying my claim saying there's a video of my brother saying he was driving with his headlights off. I called her a liar and told her if this video exist then I have a right to see it and want to see it to which she replied "she'll show it when I take them to court." When I called her back on 10/10 to get a copy of the claim denial letter she said "she'll send it after her client court hearing." I filed a complaint with the insurance complaint in my state and they were of No help. American Family responded with nothing but lies claiming my claim wasn't denied, and the person handling my complaint didn't bother to investigate.

It's now 3 months and there still hasn't been a detailed investigation. Fortunately the claims adjuster was stupid enough to leave a voicemail denying my claim. She didn't follow any of the protocols that Georgia requires when someone files a claim. For example I haven't even received a proof of loss document that is required within 15 days. She never took a statement from me or my brother who was driving the vehicle when it was in the accident. Instead she called and told him they wasn't paying and left a voicemail telling me the same thing. Georgia requires a thorough investigation before a claim can be finalized. Based on their actions I am in the process of filing a third party bad faith claim against this insurance company because of how they handled my claim. And I really question the integrity of their workers because they are Dishonest, Unprofessional, Rude, Condescending, and Misleading.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Someone hit my car, a hit and run while I was at home. The next day I called and from there it was just a headache. They called my work number without my permission. Nobody responded to my calls or emails over week. They are all liars, they said they were calling my number and left messages which are lies! How is it that only people from their company their calls didn’t go through. Sent me a $41 check the day they gave me a quote without me even agreeing to anything. Nobody communicated anything to me.

I finally got through a manager after 2 weeks and she tried to say they have paper trail BRANDON emailed me on a specific date and tried calling me and I started laughing saying she wants to bring up paper trail? She would be able to see how he didn’t email me back for over a week! Never will recommend this company! I told her that wasn’t accepting the $41 check. That was a joke after I been with them for 7 years! Pathetic employees and worthless company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Family Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Worst company ever for auto insurance coverage!! Do not use them if you would like actual help if ever in a car accident. My vehicle was hit by another car and when I called to report my accident to my insurance I was told they would only help advise me if I opened a claim. I had never been in an accident so I had no idea what I was doing. I explained that the other driver was at fault and that their insurance would cover any damages and I only need help with what I needed to do. The company provided false information and told me I could only get help if I opened a claim and that it would be non fault so it would not change my premium rates in the future.

They completely lied to get me to open a claim, after giving my statement they told me I would have to pay them the $500 deductible so they could help me further and I said no, cancel everything you are doing. I do not want this to be on my record. I have done nothing. I only wanted help with what steps to take. The agent told me they would only help me if I opened a claim and paid them money. They did not cancel my request, instead I now have a claim on my name and my insurance rates have gone up $30/month because of the misguidance their agents provided. I put a complaint in with the Office of Insurance Commissioner and they are not able to make them remove the claim from my name even though they did absolutely nothing to help me besides cause more stress in my life!! Do not use this insurance company, it's bad enough we have to pay each month for something you never have to use.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I had them for my home for more than 10 years. We had a hail storm on 06/01/2019, most of the houses in our area at least 75% had their roof replaced. I submitted a claim for my roof after we found a lot broken tiles and two leaks. Their adjuster showed up at the time while my neighbor is having his roof replaced (my neighbor had exact same tiles as mine), the adjuster asked me who insured my neighbor house and l replied by saying it was USAA. The adjuster said that AMF will not pay for a roof replacement period....without even assessing the damage. He used a drone to inspect the damage and he noticed the damage but he said that it wasn’t hail damage even known he admitted a lot of broken tiles and damaged gutters.

The adjuster told me that l should ask my neighbor to harvest some good tiles in order to replace my damage ones just because that kind of tiles were discontinued. What a mistreatments... I called the claim department, talked to a manager and it was just a waste of time talking to him. I hired a public adjuster to look at my claim and he said that AMF is the worst insurance company in the US, and he said it is going to be hard just because they don’t pay for claims that easy, we have to fight them very hard... We just started the fight... we see where it’s going to get me.... this is the worst insurance company ever, never had a claim but it looks like they just need your money period and go to hell if you have a damage...

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I will not go into detail about my horrible experience. Would take too long, nothing about this company is good, I only had one customer service rep that explained everything and gave me the right info, I will never use this company again and will tell everyone not to use them for any reason!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Had American Family Insurance for many years but every claim I've made which has been only been less than 5 over 20 years have always been an uphill battle, They refuse to pay no matter what the situation or who's at fault. All they want to do is take your money and never support you or pay you when you need them. I've had to fight and Claw my way to every claim everywhere from threatening lawsuits to filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau. As of Saturday I will be with another insurance company. They have lost seven policies from me. What a bunch of money hungry Cheapskates! Stay away from American Family.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I had an accident in March of 2019 and six months later, I am still waiting for payment (I was not the party at fault). They will do anything to not make a payment on a claim and their insurance agents will dodge your phone calls, unless you surprise them with a call from a different number. Dozens of emails remain unanswered, voicemails, messages through other colleagues. Terrible company.

American Family Insurance - Auto Company Information