Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.28/5

Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West Insurance offers multiple auto insurance coverage options to customers in all 50 states. Bristol isn't part of the InsuraMatch program that powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch to get your personalized quotes from all their verified partners.

BOTTOM LINE

Bristol West Insurance is a member of the Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the United States. Reviewers say the claims process is fast and efficient. Bristol West offers standard and optional coverages with personalized service and specializes in insurance options for high-risk drivers.

PROS

• Low down payment options
  • Product sold by local agents and brokers
  • Standard, comprehensive and optional coverage options
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • SR-22 or FR-44 options available

CONS

• A few customers reported unexpected price increases
  • Some customers experienced a delay while getting a quote

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

205 Bristol West Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 20, 2019

We had Progressive for over a year, and after sending a letter thanking us for our loyalty they then renewed our policy at a 20% increase? I called a local agent to price other insurance, and even though we technically had a lapse (our Progressive canceled a few days before we finalized the new insurance) they still considered us insured and did not increase our rates for the lapse of insurance.

We saved over $100 a month for 2 vehicles, were able to go online the next day and print our ID cards as well as email them to myself so I can pull them up whenever needed. So far, no complaints. For the price I understand they may not be stellar coverage, but we have what we need for our older paid off cars, and the peace of mind that we are covered.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had just switched to Foremost/Bristol West after 30 years of a perfect driving record. Boom! Got broadsided by an underinsured driver. From the very first call, the company representatives treated me with the greatest respect and kindness. Made sure I got the medical care I needed, and gave me the best settlement they could, according to my policy. They, in fact, saved my life. My rate did go up some, but understandable with the money they paid. I will be their customer for life and hope no more accidents. ;o ]

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This is a great company. I have been using them for years and have not had the slightest problem. I had an accident and the company paid out without having to fight them for it! The process was easy and got resolved very quickly.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I had an accident that was not my fault in Aug 2018. The other driver was insured thru Progressive and they should have been the company helping me. Their client was cited for the accident which totaled my car leaving me with no transportation. After waiting over a week and a half for them to do something. I called Bristol West and let them know that Progressive was not helping me and I had rented a car paying out of pocket to get to work. My claims adjuster was Hanns and he stepped in and took care of everything! He had me reimbursed for the rental and had the whole claim took care of quickly. I had never been in a situation to file an insurance claim and didn't know what I was supposed to do. I thank him very much for his help and professionalism.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I have a luxury car, so I need full coverage for my new car. My producer told me I got full coverage with Bristol West. I've been paying $200/month. Now I want to switch to AAA. I gave AAA agent a summary of my coverage, she told me I only got basic liability with Bristol West, and that would cost me only 88/month. I am so mad but don't know how to bring Bristol West to justice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Beginning of this year I received a very sizable increase in my rates. I called in to find out the reason for this increase and was given a huge runaround and in the end not a satisfactory answer. Keep in mind I have no accidents or tickets and I pay my bill using the auto-pay feature, so no late payments. I have been a customer of Farmer's Insurance for 25 years and expected much better service than what I have received so far. I finally made the decision to switch insurance companies and called in to stop the automatic payment from happening to renew the policy. I was AGAIN, given a huge runaround about this, told that I can't cancel the policy until 10 days prior to the renewal date, and I can not stop the automatic payments until the policy cancels, on top of being told I need to call back at another time to do this. What a crock this is.

Good customer service would have said something along the lines of, "We are sorry to hear of your decision to leave, but we will be happy to assist you and make sure that the policy the policy is terminated on time and that your automatic payment will be stopped when you requested." No wonder companies can't seem to keep customers, you want to overcharge for your services, then make the customers feel as if they aren't appreciated, and when someone calls in to ask for help, they get a runaround instead of actual customer service. I will be calling back to cancel the policy AS DIRECTED, but I can honestly say that I am so happy I will no longer have to deal with such crappy customer service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I had a total loss over being caught in a flash floods with my vehicle. The adjuster stated if I could verify what the odometer miles were from a recent service visit, then those would be what we would use on valuation. Well I almost lost my life & had to be rescued. The whole event has been extremely traumatic. Several Documents, possessions were damaged. I was not getting replacement coverage, like I thought I was paying for. Also, I had no rental coverage. So without a vehicle now & the rude adjuster, lied about comparisons & what we originally agreed to on mileage. I went immediately to work with our local Ford dealer & they did an extensive search for matching vehicles with similar miles & features. There were none!! Anywhere that were an even close match.

So when I was on the phone with them I also got info. About what the payout value by law on a total loss would be. The dealer stated the bottom minimum was 31,000.00 the top being 34,500. Which they believed I should fight for the top. Due to recent proof of Service, including mileage & excellent condition on the report. Yet the adjuster lowballed it to 27,000.00 not telling me she upped the mileage by 3500 & didn't enter all my features. As well as trying to claim my tires were bad & my seats.

Worst than that when I got time to open her comparison valuation? I found out she used higher miles & vehicles that either never existed? Fraud, or were completely lied about when I called the dealerships to verify the comparisons. When I confronted the adjuster she stated, "Well that's too bad, Negotiations are closed & you're not getting any more." And she hung up on me!! Lol Sent proof to my agent & said I want her to get another adjuster & file a grievance. Haven't heard anything out of here either. Plus I am still being auto debited full premium even though I submitted paperwork on going to nonvehicle coverage til this is settled.

Called my agent on this as well. No response. Kathleen **. Farmer's Agent out of Andover, Mn This is devastating to say the least. Plus they demanded I fill out new title paperwork & sign with no Odometer reading?? But yet they wanted to value it @ over what it really had to cheat me. Then they're gonna resell it & lie about it & put some lower Number in after I signed this crap.

But joke's on them, cause I had a name change. Which I told them. After somehow it got registered this past year in my old name. But reality is the true title is in my new name & I still have. They will not get it until this made right. Don't use this company for cheaper premium! Like I did. I had no idea, they were poorly rated. It's not worth the risk????.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Yes. I definitely NOT recommend this company. I cosigned one of my relative's vehicle and she got accident (total loss) more than 4 months ago. They have kept delaying pay the check and tossing responsibilities to other department of their company. Their attitude toward customer was really rude. (Today I called again and the representative giggle and hang up when I asked her name. (I asked name and ID to make sure they did job right.)). It is also very difficult to get connected to them. They didn't answer the phone. Few weeks ago I also mailed to CEO of this company and didn't get any answer. (Registered mail delivered July 22 2:37 PM on their reception). Did they intercept or CEO not interested or want to neglect? I am also wondering Farmer's insurance know they doing business this way. My claim # : **. Anyone Bristol West read this please take action.

Original review: July 31, 2019

They are cheap – don’t get me wrong, but from the very first payment I have had trouble making my payment. They never have my policy right and every time there is a different price. I don’t know if someone is entering my info wrong or what but ever month is the same thing. They have sent me checks and canceled my policy when I make my payment on time every month. I really hate this place. I’d rather pay a little more somewhere else than go through this each month. Signed pissed customer!!!

Original review: July 30, 2019

Bristol West- terrible customer service. Had my license suspended because they did not know how to submit my electronic files for coverage to the state I lived in. Took over an hour to review everything when on the phone with them. Then three way called the state to get everything figured out. Within 15 mins the customer service rep just hung up. Had to retract down every one to get all valid answers (mind you I paid them over 14 days ago to submit all files).

Then I set up automatic pay which is a joke because they never withdrew any money. I called and said I need to pay which they responded with, "Yes we are going to pull it out on the 17th." I received an official cancellation on the 18th due to lack of payment. The best part was since they overextended for a week of coverage they needed $135 dollars to cover that if I didn’t want them anymore as my provider. My monthly payment was $210. How in the hell does that math work? My best advice is if you enjoy terrible customer service, throwing money out the window, and being on hold, this is the best insurance company for you.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information