Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
1.00/5

Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West Insurance offers multiple auto insurance coverage options to customers in all 50 states. Bristol isn't part of the InsuraMatch program that powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch to get your personalized quotes from all their verified partners.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

154 Bristol West Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Claims experience has been nothing short of a nightmare. My car was hit by a Bristol West insured driver who was insured for the state minimum. My insurance company and I find it impossible to contact the claims adjuster or his supervisor. He does not answer the phone, numerous emails were sent and not one response. It has been two months and everything they requested has been sent in and still no response. Most unprofessional company in the world. Extremely disappointing.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We had 21st insurance for 2 years and were completely happy. I could take care of everything online, easy breezy. Which makes sense BECAUSE WE LIVE IN FREAKING 2018...21st decided to stop servicing our area and we were told that we were being switched to Farmers Insurance. Which then turned into Bristol West, Part of the Farmers Insurance Group, related to 21st. So, basically we got passed off to the 3rd string team. Their website is so ridiculously basic that it looks like it was created at the same time Myspace was. You cannot even add or take away a vehicle. You have to call. And then you get bounced around for 15 minutes by the stupid automated phone service. I'm sure my kids thought I was possessed when I started yelling, "I JUST WANT TO TALK TO A REAL FREAKING HUMAN BEING!!!"

If that wasn't bad enough, I begrudgingly signed up for automatic withdrawal and I never know when they're actually going to take the money out. When I signed up, it said that I would still have to make the first payment manually, so I did. Then the next month, I went in to verify that the automatic withdrawal was a go and there was no way to verify that it was actually active. So you just kind of have to wait and see if it's going to work. So, that was a few months ago and I'm never sure if it's going to work. I have been watching the bank account all weekend waiting for this stupid payment to come out and then I get a letter today. So my payment is supposed to come out on the 18th and it didn't. Then the 19th, it still didn't come out and I started wondering what the heck? Then, something else went through and we were a few dollars short (totally my bad) and then today I went and put more money in.

Well, I get this letter that says they tried to take out the payment and it was rejected (I guess they tried to withdraw it in the 18ish hours it was short on a Sunday, 3 days after it was supposed to...), so now I have to pay the $25 fee on top of the payment within 9 days or they're cancelling my insurance. I would understand the late fee and all this jazz, EXCEPT the letter was postmarked on the 18th. That's the day the payment is supposed to come out...and on that day the money was in the bank because I was watching it like a hawk. And I have overdraft protection anyway, so I have no idea why it would have been kicked back.

I was going to call and try to figure it out and possibly yell at someone, but I don't feel like getting stuck on hold with an idiot computer program. If you are considering Bristol West for your insurance For the love of all that is holy on this earth, please, just don't. You're welcome. (For extra clarification, I NEVER leave reviews, I'm not even the type of person that sends food back when it's wrong. I just sit there and smile and eat it. And I don't have an "I'd like to speak to your manager" haircut either. This company just makes me want to pull my hair out. We will definitely be switching ASAP).

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Let’s start off by saying I was a first time shopper for insurance and I didn’t quite a bit of shopping before I signed up with an insurance company. They had the cheapest cost that I could find, but if I would have read the reviews I would NOT have gone with them. I got the insurance at the end of July my monthly payment was supposed to be $148 and some change, by September it was up to $160 (without any type of notification). It had absolutely no reason to jump in price and when I asked to speak to a supervisor they “didn’t have one available but would call you back.”

I went ahead to pay it online so I would have insurance but it had apparently jumped up to $185 for years again no reason. I ended up canceling with them and going to Farm Bureau. It’s now October and they’re trying to tell me I owe $125 for no reason and that they are going to send it to collections. I wouldn’t recommend this insurance company to my worst enemy. They have awful customer service, their staff is rude and inconsistent, and they never seem to know what they are talking about. If I could leave zero stars I would!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Working with this sorry excuse for a company has been the worst experience I've had with an "agency". I was contacted by an agent who told me because I was getting a DUI, that I needed an SR22 even though I wasn't going to be convicted for months. I was told to pay almost $300 to start up with them, then $33/mo for the DUI insurance. After months of it being automatically withdrawn from my account, I lost my card and gave them my new card for the automatic withdrawal.

After another month and a half, I was notified through email that my policy had been canceled because I hadn't been making payments with the new card, and I owed them a backpay of $38. When I called to pay it, they asked if I wanted to pay with the credit card number I gave them!!! I asked how did they have my credit card number, yet wasn't taking the payments out as usual, PLUS, why wasn't I notified? They said "...we don't know." I spend two hours on the phone with them until they finally pulled the phone call of me giving them my credit card number. BUT they then said that because it had been so long, I couldn't reinstate my account, I had to start a completely new one, including paying $260 to start over.

I talked to another representative, and he said if I went directly through sales, I didn't have to pay the start up fee, I could just pay my monthly, but I had to call back tomorrow to do so. I called back the next day, and was transferred to 2 different people at Bristol West, then to Century 21, then to Farmers, then put on hold, back to Bristol, then to Century 21 again, Farmers again (I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP, THIS WAS NUTS) just to be told I DO have to pay the start up fee no matter who I deal with. I googled them to see if anyone else was dealing with this, and after I read everyone's reviews, saw that they had been doing the same to many MANY people.

These people are scam artists. They're total liars and rip offs and will steal your money from you. DO NOT TRUST THEM. I've paid almost $1k without even (STILL) being convicted of anything, so I was basically just giving them free money. All they could say is "Sorry, that sucks. So can we start you a new policy?" What a joke. Beware.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Getting into an accident is a stressing event, but nothing will prepare you if you are insured under Bristol West aka Framers. Not only they will avoid your call but they will find all type of excuse of running from their responsibility. Bristol West representative admits he undervalue my totaled vehicle and promised to resolve the differences. After many emails and phone messages, all my requests have been ignored. Recently, I rented a U-Haul truck and got into an accident, which I hitted a parked car. Bristol West told me it is not covered because U-Haul is an commercial vehicle. Well, I look it up, even U-Haul website stated their trucks are not classified as commercial vehicle. Stay away from Bristol West like plague. Do a quick search online and you will see nothing but 1 star. I'm really amaze how such company still exists will all these complains and bad reviews.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We had never even heard of this company before... well not until we received a notice from Harrisburg that Bristol West Insurance informed them that we didn't have ANY insurance at all. My husband has used the same insurance company for over 25 years. We just received the above referenced notification stating that we needed to provide proof of new insurance or we would be facing charges and registration suspension. We never canceled the insurance (with the company we've used for years) that we had on the car since we bought it 3 years ago. This company attained our private information without our consent and we are not happy!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I was 21 Century customer and very happy with them. Then Farmers buys 21st century insurance and transfers its customers to Bristol West. The first writing on the wall should’ve been when you sent me a nasty letter saying that they sent me a quote and I never responded. And of course I never received a letter from them in the first place. The second strike was when we try to take delivery of a new car and they do not work on weekends. Third strike was when they asked me for proof that I’ve got a new vehicle, otherwise I have to do photo inspection. A week later I receive a nastygram from them saying that they never got proof of new vehicle from me. Instead of proving it to them that I sent I just went ahead and did photo inspection. I also get a receipt of inspection from the inspection place guy and watch him to personally upload to Bristol West.

The last strike was another nastygram two months later, reminding me that I never did the inspection and they will terminate coverage for that car in a week. Then I went shopping, and much to my surprise I got coverage from a reputable company (I dealt with them when their insured hit me a few years ago and I was happy with the experience). And guess what - no photo inspection needed. And better liability (twice), lower deductible (500 instead of 750) and most importantly: 1/3 less premium!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Co, very rude about charges put on account, this was always paid in advance & they chose to add bogus charges for additional money, $50 charge for cancelling policy & another $28 for stopping bank draft. Account opened on 13th of month closed on 12th. Should not have be any additional charges.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Don’t go with this company! Worst insurance ever! Rude. Are the worst to file a claim with, almost impossible to get a hold of anyone! & your claims adjuster, I had an adjuster name Ryan. He was extremely rude. I had to tell him several times not to be so rude, he's an interrogator, a name caller, attacked me verbally, said I was making threats because I asked him a questions, like how much longer before I know about my car and will the rental car be covered because it states that in my policy. Ryan acted as if I was upsetting him, annoying him, & threatening him, because I was asking questions, meanwhile the claim's taking forever, over a month, I'm paying for the car, & car insurance. SMH.

I’ve done everything they ask me to do, statements, faxes, emails, pics, no replies, just one letters says I have to pay for this & that. They try to stick you with every fee they can stick you with, will try to accuse you of things you didn’t do, lie on you & to you! & give you a car that is a total loss. They will do anything to anyone. They do not care at all about customer service. The rudest people. I don’t how they are still around and allowed to treat and do this to people! Paying so much for car insurance. I have never paid so much for insurance. I have no tickets. Excellent driving record. This claim is not my fault. I’m well over 25 paying 288 a month. The most I’ve ever paid. SMH.

Switching. Never going with company again! Never get this insurance! They will ignore you and treat you horribly. Do not go with this company. I wish I would of read the reviews before I went with this company, and I wish I didn’t have to file a claim at all! They make a unfortunate situation a nightmare. Get a lawyer if you have to file a claim!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was charged $266 per month for 1 car, a Honda Pilot. I have only 1 point on my record. I just switched to Wawanesa Insurance with higher coverage and lower deductible for $109 per month. I tried calling Bristol West to cancel and was put on hold for over 30 minutes, and was told that I would have to pay $50 to cancel my policy although I have had my policy with them for over 2 years. Their website seems like it hasn't been updated since 1999 and doesn't help answer any questions one might have. Beware of this insurance company, they prey on their customers.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Their insured, Mr **, rear ended my vehicle which re ended me. This was a few weeks before I was about to go on vacation in which I need my vehicle to pull a trailer. The adjuster was originally friendly and they accepted liability. I sent in the estimate from my shop, easy repair plenty of time to get it fixed before vacation. Then one excuse after another that they were not ready to get it fixed. Finally, the week before my vacation, they are ready, but I will now need a rental car to pull my trailer.

Rental car companies don't rent vehicles for towing, because of liability. I arrange for my brother in law to pull my trailer, and I'll rent a passenger van and carry all the people. After initially having the rental approved, I was then told they would only cover an SUV since that is what my vehicle is. Then they back peddled again and said, they will only cover the rental for the time of the repair, so I would need to drive back 200 miles in the middle of my vacation and drop off the rental or pay $1200 for the additional time. I talked to a supervisor who told me this was not his problem. I'll need to sue if I want anything out of this company. Seriously, You do not want anything to do with Bristol West.

Original review: June 15, 2018

In brief summary, Bristol West Insurance's insured, Ms. **, hit my vehicle while travelling through the State of Tennessee. Ms. ** apologized profusely for banging my vehicle and attempted to give me money for the damages. Money never exchanged hands. All of this was told to Bristol West Insurance. When I returned to Illinois, I took my vehicle to Athenian Body Shop in Chicago Ridge, Illinois and I filed a claim with Ms. ** insurance, Bristol West Insurance. The claims adjuster, Ms. **, indicated that my damages would be paid and this was also communicated to the Body Shop personnel. The vehicle was later inspected at the body shop by Bristol West's representative and they approved a supplemental.

Two months later, the body shop personnel called and said Bristol West refuses to pay. They told the body shop personnel that I was aware of this decision. I have not spoken to any representative at Bristol West since the claims adjuster told me the damages were approved. This was a blatant misrepresentation. Bristol West Insurance company's representatives approved the repairs and after the repairs were made, they changed their mind. None of this was communicated to me and they never told me the reason for the change. They told the body shop that "liability" was the issue. This was discussed prior to the approval of the damages. In addition, Bristol West was provided a copy of the police report. It seems as though this company cannot be trusted. It appears as though its representatives have no integrity and are not honest.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Worst insurance company ever!! My daughter was in an accident April 21 2018 and it happened on a Sat. Well guess what? They're not open on Saturdays and you file a claim online or wait until Monday, We needed a rental and guidance, certainly they fell short... I have rental for 30 days supposedly on my insurance policy! Well we were told, "7 days find a new car!!!" They are not helping with the fight against the State Trooper who has politely messed up the police report with inaccurate findings, no help whatsoever. Having GENERAL insurance seems like it has to be better than this crackpot company... DO SOMETHING BRISTOL WEST, CAUSE OF NOW YOUR REPUTATION IS TRASH...

Original review: June 1, 2018

After trying for weeks I am unable to reach anyone in sales or customer service. I have verified that the phone number is correct but only get a recording. An agent for the company can only give me the same phone leading to the same recording. I tried the claims service phone no. but only received an out of the country answering service which could take accident information which they forward on to someone in the states. They also could not give me any phone numbers for Bristol West. I question whether they even exist and I'll contact the insurance commissioner for Washington state.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I was in an accident on March 28 with a driver that has Bristol West Insurance, I have never had to deal with a company that lies and has the worse customer services EVER! The police report came out over a month ago showing that their driver was at fault! Witness statements and CHP have him 100% at fault but they the claim is still under review as of yesterday. Yesterday when I spoke to the claim adjuster she FLAT out lied and said she has left messages for me to call her and I asked her what number she had for me, she gave me the incorrect number, which I have updated with her at least 6 times. Here is the kicker. I called the number she said she has called and left messages for me AND THAT NUMBER is discounted! I have never been lied to like I have been by this company! I have FARMERS INSURANCE and they have been great thru this whole claim!!! BUT NADA AT BRISTOL HAS BEEN THE WORST EVER!!!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I received information from 21st Century Insurance that the company was changing to Bristol West Insurance. I went to the website and handled everything that needed to be changed to switch over to the new company. I filled in all the information for the account numbers to auto pay the policy and received confirmation that everything had been submitted. I was out of the country for two weeks and when I returned home and picked up my mail there was an envelope with all my policy information and an envelope with a cancellation notice. Evidently one of the digits for the auto pay account number was off so the policy was cancelled.

When I called to rectify the problem and see about getting the policy reinstated I was told that nothing could be done to reinstate the policy and I would have to get a new quote. When I called to get the new quote the policy amount was three hundred dollars more than the original policy amount. It was obviously more convenient and far more beneficial financially to Bristol West not to reinstate my policy. I have since purchased a policy from a different company. I must add that this experience just reinforces the poor reputation of insurance companies of not only Bristol West but also Farmers Insurance company / 21st Century Insurance.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I purchased basic liability insurance for my car and paid every month on time until I found out that the $108.00 per month I was paying was well overcharged when I got a quote from State Farm that would only charge me $28 per month for the same car. So I decided to go with the better deal and enrolled in State Farm. I asked the State Farm lady, “Do I need to go down there and tell Bristol West anything since I'm switching to State Farm”, and she said I shouldn’t have to because they will see that you’re insured by State Farm online. So I paid State Farm that low cost for the same thing Bristol West charged me 5 times the price that State Farm charged me. So do you blame me? I was happy about my new rates and Bristol West text me and said they cancelled my policy.

Until I get a letter from Bristol West that says I owe them $108.00 for a past due amount and I got a letter from a collection agency saying I owed the amount and they would affect my credit. The problem is I was paying in advance for insurance with Bristol West so why do I owe anything especially if I didn’t pay for coverage and switched to State Farm during the billing period they say I owe? I was covered by State Farm during this time and opted out of Bristol West! So as far as I'm concerned they are fraudulently charging for insurance policies. I will never deal with Bristol West or Farmers insurance ever again. They are ripping people off and now I’m stressed out worrying about a collection agency and have to work early. This is terrible that they would do this to me.

That’s their true colors so heed the warning. State Farm is much much better. I don’t know what to do but worry until I call them. I'm on a tight budget and don’t need this fraudulent charge sent to a collection agency. I paid in advance for my first month so why do I owe anything if I didn’t pay and was cancelled while switching and being covered by State Farm. State Farm said there is a website that all insurance agencies can see who my provider is. I was told since I let it run out instead of calling them that, that’s why Bristol West (Farmers) charged me. I just bought a house and a new truck and still have my car that needs repair and a full time job with so much going on that I don’t need to be harassed for leaving them. Somebody please help!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I totaled my car. It’s been almost 14 days and I still have no idea what is being covered between insurance and gap. No one can give me any answers on almost any of my questions regarding my coverage. Insurance stopped paying for my rental but I still haven’t even been called by insurance to tell me I needed to return the rental or to tell me what was covered. Also found out I’ve been paying almost double with this company compared to some big insurance companies and I don’t have that great of a driving record. Will be changing insurance carriers as soon as I get this total loss resolved. Very disappointed after paying almost 300$ a month for 3 years. I will also never recommend Bristol West or Foremost. Total waste of time. Total lack of communication.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Sunday morn 2:00 a.m. I awoke to my 2015 Nissan Rogue ablaze. The car, what remains is a puddle of metal. I contacted the company and was line for 48 min. waiting to make a claim. After about 40 min of wait I went online and made a claim, complete with a series of photos. Just as the claim number and the name of the agent who was assigned my case came up and rep came on the line. I explained my car was gone and I had just completed a claim online. She verified the claim number and the name of agent assigned. I heard from no one.

Midday Monday I called the agent myself. Got answering machine, I left a message. All day I stayed close and checked email, phone text and phone. No contact. I left another message a few hours later. And a third. I tried twice to contact customer service and I kept getting connected to agents phone machine. I live in the country with no access to taxis, buses, subway etc. It is Tuesday, 1:00, I have a no car and have yet to hear from this agent!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I was with 21st Century for many years before they became Bristol West 2 months ago. They wanted to charge us more than what we had been paying before but we were able to negotiate the price down to $282 (still more than what we had been paying and we lost our free towing). At the end of the month they tried to charge us $432, when we called for an explanation they told us it was because we hadn't signed the necessary forms. We got the forms sent to them that same day and yet they still told us we needed to pay the ridiculous amount of $432. So, of course, we decided to cancel our policy and switch to a different company. They charged us $116 to cancel our policy. We couldn't understand why but after being threatened with being sent to collection and ruining our credit we were forced to pay it. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

This is the only company I know that not only charges higher rates for accident free drivers, but charges anywhere from a floating fee of $10-15 a month to send you an invoice. I would avoid them at any cost unless you like paying a premium for poor quality & service.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was with 21st Century (auto insurance) for over 10 yrs when they introduced Bristol West Insurance as the new provider (2 months ago). I decided to put my car up for sale and contacted Bristol West ahead of time on 02/07/2018 to see what the policy was for canceling my auto policy. I was told that on the day the sale is completed I needed to call in, cancel my policy and then fax a request to cancel my policy to Bristol West at 1-888-888-0070. On 2/15/2018 I followed those directions to the "T".

On 2/21/2018 I got an email stating that I needed to pay $129 on 3/1/2018 for my policy. "What policy? I canceled it on 2/15/2018." I called and spoke to a customer service rep. who told me that even though they show I called in and canceled my policy no one at Bristol West actually canceled it. I was instructed to send an email to policyservicedocuments@farmersinsurance.com stating that I requested my policy be canceled on 2/15/2018 because I sold my car and I need my policy to reflect that information.

Today, 2/22/2018 I got a voicemail message stating that I needed to send a notarized Bill of Sale showing I sold my car on 02/15/2018 and a fax requesting to cancel my policy in order for my still active policy to be canceled with the date of 2/15/2018. "Is this really happening right now?" was my first thought. Called back and spoke to a rep who confirmed my policy was still active. I was told that I needed to provide a notarized bill of sale in order for the policy to be canceled showing the date of 2/15/2018, otherwise it would showed that the policy was canceled today 2/22/2018.

I explained that in the state of Texas, when a vehicle is sold, a bill of sale and other related forms concerning the sale of a vehicle can be found at Form available online at www.TxDMV.gov. I further explained that I will gladly provide a bill of sale but because it's not required by my state, it won't be notarized. THEY REFUSED TO SEE PROOF OF THE SALE TO CANCEL MY POLICY with the date of 2/15/2018.

Before ending the call, I was told the policy was cancelled with the date of 2/22/2018 and I have to pay a prorated amount of $97 by 3/1/2018 or it would be reported against me on my credit report because my policy renewed on 2/15/2018 and it wasn't cancelled when I called in and requested it on 2/15/2018 and when I sent in my fax (which they say they didn't get). The will confirm all my calls and all my requests to cancel my policy on 2/15/2018 but they purposely didn't cancel my policy until 2/22/2018 so that they could bill me for the date of 2/16/2018 to 3/15/2018.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

This company is a fraud! They charge you to discontinue your policy. But not ever mention it when you get it. They don't let you take charge of your policy. It is ridiculous. Thank goodness I never had to file a claim with them or I would have probably lost out!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

My neighbor hit my car (BMW) while it was parked in my driveway. I have been dealing with this company and their unprofessional agent and management staff. The damages on my car is over $3500 but they send me a check for $1800 that is not even under my name. They have called me a liar saying that the title isn't under my name and after I requested my title and send them a picture they proceeded to tell me that I recently got my title under my name when that wasn't the case. I requested a lost title and that's why the date says DEC on that. I tried to call their one 800-number but they would not let me speak to their manager. They said that I needed to talk to the adjuster that is taking care of my claim when I already explain to them that I have talk to her and that she is not being helpful.

This company is a scam and they are extremely rude and they lowball you and try to get out of paying the full amount of the damage on your car. They never respond to your emails or your phone calls unless you have gotten extremely angry with them. I have been dealing with them for 2 1/2 months to get my car that was parked in my driveway fixed, they also don't even have a phone number that you could directly talk to someone without having to wait on the phone for anywhere between 15 to 45 minutes to get connected.

Please everyone. Choose a different company and stay away from this company. Most companies take care of you within a week of the accident and you get to choose where you want to take your car to be fixed and if your car is paid off they normally send you a check for the mount of the damage on your car not half of it and not a quarter of it the full amount unlike this unprofessional company that plays games with you for over two months and doesn't give you the full amount for the damage on your car.

It has been unbelievable how I have been treated by this company when I was the victim in all of this and their policy holder was the one that caused damage to my parked BMW. It has been an inconvenience for me. I have a trunk that is bent in that I can't even get into, back tail light that is broken and a back in that is bent in. When they try to take care of your claim they don't even send an adjuster out. They try to give you an estimate also of pictures that I don't do you any justice. I don't know how this company is still in business but what I do recommend to everyone is to change your insurance company if you are with Bristol West because you were never going to get taken care of.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I'm writing this review because it pained me greatly to read all the pain, frustration, anger, and resentment this Insurance company has created in just the last couple years for so many of my fellow Americans. My knowledge of this criminally negligent, incompetent, and evil Insurance Company dates back to 2002 and 2003. Here is my factual story:

I bought insurance and asked my agent to include uninsured coverage (which is by law a required option in CA). My vehicle was old, so I didn’t have full coverage, but in CA they had a “$3,500 Uninsured Property Damage” coverage for just that situation (to fix your own car in the event of an uninsured claim). I think the problem all started with the agent not checking the right “box” for that coverage in my application to Bristol West. When I received my policy statement/declaration/contract, I noticed my coverage did not include the very important to me uninsured property damage coverage. I called my agent and told them to fix it. No results. I faxed my agent directions, visited them too, and told them to fix it by phone too. No results.

I bypassed my agent since they were useless (doing a lot more than my usual due diligence), and talked with Bristol West (directly) to get instructions on how to fix the problem. To add the missing Uninsured Property Damage Coverage, I was told to send it in writing to their fax number. I faxed in writing the request for it to be added yet again, with fax confirmation receipt kept, and stated on the faxed letter they are to add it (since it was my 4th or 5th request and attempt to add it), or if they fail to do so, to delete all uninsured coverage (liability portion I was already paying for), and refund my money. Keep in mind by law they can’t deny me this coverage. They ignored this letter in early January 2003 too! I neither received the coverage I demanded, nor the refund at that time which was the only alternative offered.

I kept all my paperwork and documentation as they were impossible to deal with, get a hold of (live person; don’t answer phones, don’t return emails or respond to faxes). I kept that fax confirmation for if ever the crap hit the fan, I was going to hammer them with it. Finally, in April, I got a hold of someone and out of frustration and exhaustion told them if they are not going to add the freaking property coverage (making it impossible to do so), remove the uninsured liability and stop making me pay for an add-on that isn’t exactly what I want. Sure enough, the crap hit the fan a few months later, and an uninsured claim where I wanted that $3,500 coverage came up. They denied the claim saying I didn’t have the coverage. I provided the documentation saying I had requested the coverage numerous times previously as listed above.

At first they denied the receipt, claimed faxing was a bad unreliable technology (non-sensible stuff). Finally, after my complaint to the CA Dept. of Insurance, they admitted to an “Examiner Error” in January (the date of the fax, but it took months to get them to admit this). However, in April I had made good on my threat to get a refund, and had cancelled all uninsured coverage because they wrongfully denied me the $3,500 part I had always wanted (you can’t get that without the other liability portion). They used my cancellation in April, which was 100% consequentially their fault, as a reason to deny my claim in June. If they would have just done what I had asked previously, I never would have cancelled the incorrect coverage. They should have paid that claim given how negligent and incompetent I proved they were.

The entire basis of their denial came down to my signature in April for the refund. Since they wouldn’t budge, and I decided I didn’t have the time or money to sue (not that much money on the line really), I then asked in a final moment of desperation that my premiums from January to April should be refunded as well, since they didn’t provide the coverage the way I had wanted it. Instead of paying the claim they should have, they refunded my premiums for that “additional, but incorrect” coverage from the date they first committed their “examiner error” which started and 100% directly caused this whole chain of events.

If anything you would think the Agency would step up and use some kind of “errors and omissions or malpractice” coverage to pay my claim. They just colluded with the Insurance company and played the “We don’t know anything, we deny everything, we won’t talk to you.” card from the beginning. They quickly escalated it from a simple claim to conspiracy/collusion/denial/stonewalling. Working hand in hand with an equally corrupt insurance company that was probably telling the agents not to cooperate or communicate.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

They upped my UIM without permission from previous policy. Now have to write letter to request it back to original. Have emailed it faxed it they do not listen. Then asked girl to send new policy and ins cards sent me the old policy and cards. Then faxed Jan 17 2018 what I emailed in Dec to fix the issue. Girl said call back in 3 hours to see if we got it... They still have not corrected anything and increase rate because of it... How can these People be allowed to do business at all is beyond me. I sent something very legible so she wrote not legible so I emailed her back and sent it again only to be told the other day Jan 17 2018 "Oh you cannot email them back" by a different girl. Nothing stated that on her email. I will complain to a higher authority... Plus they charge you to go paperless and other fees. They are corrupt!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

They are by far the worst company I have ever dealt with. They lowballed on the repairs to my 2013 GMC Acadia. I was reared ended off a farming road that had gravel pull off on side of road. I was shoveled into a small hole with gravel/rocks in it. The force pushed gravel up on the hood of my truck, scratching it beside $6,000 in damages to the rear of my truck. I was laid up for 2-3 with neck and head pain. Got a secondary issue due to being laid up. They offered me $300 for my trouble. WTF!!!! 9 months later they would only give me $1,100 for my neck injury.

I wanted it direct deposited like their email said they could but no link was provided and Maria ** was NO help with the issue and left a message if I didn't answer the phone as soon as she called back within 2 minutes she would have the check cut and mailed. I'm like great... I have to wait a week for a check and then 2 more weeks before my bank clears it. What a total **! She didn't have to do that **. She could have waited for me to call back in the morning. I should have got a lawyer! If you ever have a claim against them, get a lawyer because they ** with people in every way.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We were searching insurance quotes online for our vehicles, then someone called me about my search for insurance. I gave her all my information and she came back with an ok quote, we started the process of purchasing the policy, then she came back with a little higher quote, something had changed, but still ok. After an hour we still were not finished, but we kept going. By the time it was said and done I had been on the phone almost two hours, the rate had went up yet again, and she told me our insurance was with Foremost not Bristol West. She gave me a policy number, we still have not received insurance cards and I have NO number to contact Bristol. I have googled until I am exhausted trying to find contact info for this company. I am changing insurance companies immediately.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Bristol West is owned by Farmers. The crappy Bristol Service, starting with their looped answering service, is a reflection of Farmers. I was with Farmers over 30 years, then due to an agent oversight, who forgot to include my auto insurance in the joint homeowner package, my insurance lapsed over 45 days, without my knowledge. Farmers kicked me to their sub company Bristol, and now charge me so much money, even the Farmers local agent can’t explain it. Guess who won’t fool me again? Or who is legally robbing me? FARMERS INSURANCE. Bristol is just a retail office in Florida who takes orders from FARMERS INSURANCE.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I was on automatic payment with Bristol West. Every 6 months they would deduct my premium from my credit card. At the last billing, my credit card denied the payment. Instead of contacting me by phone or e-mail to correct the problem, they cancelled my insurance immediately. I received a letter in the mail three weeks later that my insurance had been cancelled, and requesting a $25.00 NSF fee. I am relieved that I didn't have a claim during the three weeks that I was driving without insurance! Instead of paying the NSF fee, I am going to file a complaint with my Washington State Insurance Commissioner.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information