2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Bristol West is a member of Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. It offers standard coverage, as well as optional, personalized add-on services. The company focuses particularly on affordable insurance options for high-risk drivers and offers 24/7 online policy access.

BOTTOM LINE

Bristol West is part of Farmers Insurance Group and offers competitive rates for standard auto policies. It specializes in insuring high-risk drivers and those with poor credit, but it may not be the best option for low-risk drivers.

PROS

• Medical care coverage up to $10,000
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • Affordable

CONS

• Policy info not available online
  • Not ideal for low-risk drivers

Top Bristol West Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

... I had a great experience with them. I talked to the rep on Monday after accident late Friday and had rental car that same day for 11 days. The vehicle was totalled and I had a check within 2 weeks. They were all pleasant and easy to work with and called me back quickly...

This is a great company. I have been using them for years and have not had the slightest problem. I had an accident and the company paid out without having to fight them for it! The process was easy and got resolved very quickly.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Bristol West?

Bristol West is an insurer that provides affordable auto coverage to a wide range of drivers, including those with low credit or poor driving history (e.g., DUIs or multiple traffic violations). The company is available in 42 states and offers a wide range of services, such as 24/7 policy info on its mobile app and flexible payment options. It also provides online claims processing and bill payment.

Bristol West insurance coverage

Bristol West offers a variety of standard plans and benefits, including liability, comprehensive and collision coverage, as well as uninsured motorist, bodily injury, property damage and rental reimbursement insurance. You can also add medical coverage up to $10,000, towing and roadside service and trailer physical damage coverage. Bristol West’s rideshare coverage insures drivers for Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare companies.

Bristol West insurance quotes and costs

Bristol West offers several plans at varying rates to accommodate your coverage and service needs. It gives discounts for automatic payments, paperless billing, safe driving and multipolicy enrollment and provides flexible billing and payment plan options. Bristol West also has a user-friendly mobile app and offers text reminders for bill pay.

Bristol West FAQ

Who owns Bristol West?
Farmers Insurance Group owns Bristol West. Farmers Insurance Group is a well known insurer with over 48,000 exclusive and independent agencies in the U.S.
Does Bristol West offer services in Spanish?
Yes, Bristol West does offer services in Spanish. Call its customer support line to get help in Spanish.
Where is Bristol West available?
Bristol West is available in 42 states throughout the country.

Is Bristol West a good insurance company?

Bristol West offers competitive rates for high-risk drivers and those with poor credit. It provides comprehensive and collision coverage as well as roadside assistance and liability insurance. Policyholders can also add rideshare, medical, rental reimbursement, uninsured motorist, bodily injury or permissive user coverage. Its online claims, flexible bill pay, paperless billing, text alerts and mobile app make it convenient, but it might not be the best option for low-risk drivers.

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have had trouble with Bristol West since day 1. The paperwork for me to sign was prepared incorrectly and it took 2 weeks and never did get corrected (I had to have my agent email me, then I printed, signed, scanned and emailed back because it was STILL wrong). The error was that they wanted me to initial that my vehicle is NOT used for rideshare, when I CLEARLY told them I am a Doordash driver and other gig worker. NOW, I am having a payment issue because even though their supervisor admitted to me they made an error and drafted the wrong bank account, after several HOURS on the phone they will still not give me a credit for the NSF fee charged by my bank. I told them today that I am DONE and I am only staying with them because I don't have the money to go anywhere else right now, plus, after 4 more months I will be eligible to transfer to Farmers, which is a better company anyway.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

After trying to cancel my policy (several times) for a car I no longer owned; Bristol West was still taking an automatic debit from my checking account. I had to get my bank to stop payments to get Bristol West to stop billing me for a car I had donated many months before. After my bank did an investigation, they refunded the automatic deductions to my account. Thank heavens because we are speaking hundreds of dollars. Note the word 'investigation' - so this is not just my say so - and yet - Bristol West sent my information to a collection agency for that same money that they wrongfully took!!! I can't get rid of these people!! DO NOT SIGN UP FOR AUTOMATIC PAYMENT!!!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Published review 12/4/20. This insurance company wanted to charge me over $300 for one vehicle. I agreed because at the time it was the cheapest option I could find. I’ve been a customer for 3 years. From the month of August this year I look at my account and my went up to $500!!! I called in and asked why? They said that my wife on the account had 2 claims. My wife has a perfect driving record. I called in Lexis Nexis and had proof that she had no claims. They said that they couldn’t do anything for that month and wanted a $500 payment for the month of August. I cancelled with them and spoke with James (the owner for Bristol West in my area) and had 2 other representatives tell me that we owed nothing 4 different times! So I was okay with this because I didn’t want to pay a bill that big.

3 months down the road I get a letter in the mail saying that we had a $300 payment. I was outraged and tried to call them. They were impossible to reach. I finally got ahold of them and tried to get it figured out and they said that they sent emails, letters, etc. stating the notice for a an outstanding balance. My wife and I haven’t received one thing!!! I received a letter actually from collections. The company would not waive that and needed a full payment. After all of this bull **, my wife and I switched to State Farm insurance. For full coverage on our 2014 Honda CR-V and liability on my truck, we now pay $180 for both. Bristol West is such a rip off and such a scam. Do not, I repeat do not get insurance with this company. And please do your research on insurance companies.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I sent in a cancellation request and it took 2 weeks to process it and they kept telling me I was missing things every time I sent it in, now since it’s processed they’re telling me in an additional 2 more weeks to get a refund back! It’s been over a month since I sent in my cancellation request and I still nothing. The wait time for agent is about 5-10 minutes every time you call and people who work there don’t know what they are doing!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

After canceling with this company I still got charged two more months on my credit card as a recurring charge the total amount was now $727. I contacted the company. They stated that was a mistake on their end and that I would get reimbursed within 5 to 10 business days. It has now been over 3 weeks and my money is not back on my account. I have been calling the agent. She says she has no clue what is going on but there's no update. I've been calling the company directly and they just transfer me over and over to different departments. I can get an answer of where is my money. It's ridiculous. This is the worst company I have dealt with.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I cancelled my auto insurance with your company as your customer service is awful, you charge $6.00 to make a payment with a person (which I’ve NEVER heard of) and you charge someone with a 96 Toyota Camry $93.00 for the lowest insurance you can buy!! Don’t worry, I have cancelled my policy with you and made sure friends and family know not to ever do business with your company as you have proved time and time again you aren’t worth the money or hassle. I went with another company who for the same coverage, I now pay $38 a month instead of your ridiculous $93 a month. I am SO happy to say I never have to call or deal with your company again and I’ve never had an issue with any company treating me the way you have. Good Riddance!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

This insurance is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen. Unexpected rate increase and added people I didn’t even know on to my insurance. When I finally got someone on the phone, they could not give me an explanation of the rate increase, nor the unknown drivers added to my insurance. Poorest excuse for an insurance company I have ever dealt with!! Definitely will be finding me a different company to insure with.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This has been by far the worst experience I’ve ever had with any insurance company. No one is able to give you a straight answer regarding questions about your policy and I had a representative say he couldn’t confirm whether or not I have full coverage insurance, as they don’t use that term. All he could state was that I had certain limits and coverage. I was charged an excessive premium for adding a vehicle. Minimum legal coverage for my state was going to cost me $159 a month. I drive a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee people! And I have a clean record. Needless to say, they ripped me off for 340 bucks and I cancelled. Don’t even bother with this company. They’re a joke.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Have had insurance for over 20 years and company was bought out by Bristol West and has turned into the worst experience ever. I have been paying them without a claim for 20 years and they increase my monthly payment by 40.00 for a cost of living fee.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I want to add roadside assist so I can get help when I need it. They told me it will be extra $70 per month + monthly car insurance. Which is too much price so I end up with just keep the insurance. I was not happy with service. Worst insurance company ever I had seen in my life. Insurance company canceled the insurance without notifying me. Never ever send me any email. I does not know until I got pulled over by cops. I was shocked because my car insurance has still 3 months left of expiring.

I called them. They were keep hanging up my phone. It won't even send the refund check or anything in mailbox not in the email. This insurance company is joke. It is wasting money. Please do not get this insurance. It is better to get paid little bit more and get a better service. This insurance has so many bad reviews. I don't why this insurance company is still open. Please do not waste your money and your time. This is spam. If you are agree insurance company is joke or spam report them So other person can save their money.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information