1.22/5
  • 1 star
Based on 100 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

122 Bristol West Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Found my insurance was canceled was not notified by phone or mail. I needed insurance went to their site called them and could not get a human. Only hours Mon-Fri 8am to 6pm. Canceled and got insurance with progressive. Paid 726 they still charged me 8 dollars for 2 days of nothing. LOL. Now 2 weeks waiting for my refund of the rest of the money. WARNING DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY. HORRIBLE HOURS. NOT AVAILABLE ON WEEKENDS OR NIGHTS.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Debited my account for many months after I ended policy... 4mo later still waiting on refund of which I'm continually given the run around about... My accounts have been put in red due to their errors of which no recourse will be giving... You Just lose with this company!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Bristol West is a JOKE! I cancelled my coverage with them to go back to GEICO yet they still charged my account days after cancelling. I accrued a fee with my bank and was told by several different agents that they would refund the fee asap. However, 6 weeks later, I'm told that ALL of those reps were wrong and even though I cancelled my insurance on the 27th and they ran my account on the 30th for a cancelled policy, I will not receive the little $29.00 fee because I didn't cancel the policy 4 days before the payment was to come out, I did it 3 days before...That is ridiculous! You should be able to cancel your policy the night before if you want and if they can't stop the next payment in their system immediately then maybe they need to update it! Or get a better one! But what you don't do is still charge the consumer, lie about it for weeks, and then just not refund it! They suck! Don't use them, EVER!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Back in January of this year a claim was made against my daughter by another individual that she wrecked into him. The claim was made 3 weeks after the supposed impact. There were no police and the claim was made to Bristol by the father of the kid that had the damage. The damage was to his steering with no body damage. Bristol accepted his claim putting my daughter at fault causing my insurance to skyrocket as she was 18. I called Bristol adjuster Lagrant who was completely ignorant and hung up on me. This company is the worst and I will look for new insurance. DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Bristol West sent me a email saying it was almost time to renew. I contacted my agent to get a quote for farmers', which is the parent company of Bristol. He couldn't get me a much better deal so I went with Progressive. I told him this and he understood! Two days later, after I had paid Progressive, Bristol West debited my account $443. This made my account overdrawn! Called the agent he said no problem he had talked to them and all they needed was the declaration page from Progressive. That was sent to them electronically and they said since the EFT was from a day prior they couldn't reverse it, they would put a check in the mail that day! Here I sit eight days later with no check! Then today I get new policy paperwork emailed to me. They think I'm still a customer!!! I'm livid right now. As soon as the office opens tomorrow they will get an earful!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Two months ago one of their insured's T-boned me. The driver gave me their insurance card and I turned the claim over to my insurance company who contacted Bristol West. Two months later, I hear from Bristol West and they say "Gee, we can't find our insured so we are not paying". Worthless piece of crap company who obviously covers scumbags.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I was rear ended at high speed by a driver insured by Bristol West. This driver who was driving on an expired learners permit was texting and driving and failed to see my signal as I was turning. Another sad detail is the other person in the car, the drivers sister had her license suspended. The driver received two citations. The owner (the parents of these girls) has Bristol West Insurance.

Our State Farm agent helped us to file the claim with Bristol West. Soon after we get calls stating they are deducting the estimate total to reflect non original Toyota parts. This is not acceptable. The repair shop only uses original equipment parts because the substandard parts available by other manufactures other than Toyota do not fit properly, and require a great deal more labor.

Bristol West refuses to pay the claim as written because myself and my repair shop want original equipment. This accident was not my fault. You get nothing but a runaround with these people. You cannot talk to supervisors, or estimators. No one seems to have any authority and they are very difficult to deal with. They leave me no recourse but to file under my own policy with a 500 dollar deductible or file a civil suit against the auto owners and their irresponsible kids for the remainder of the unpaid claim. Under these circumstances, my lawyer advised me we can sue for much more than the claim due to the circumstances. Is this what Bristol West does? Throw their policyholders under the bus? I would hope no one would purchase insurance with these people. Worse yet I hope no one ever gets into an accident with a Bristol West policyholder. If you do, get an attorney, QUICK!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

This company lies to its customers and takes forever to process a claim or resolve any issues. I change my address and a refund check was sent to a old address and it was stolen. The company treated me as if I stole the check when they made the mistake. Then I had to wait 6 months to only get a partial payment of 25.00. The remaining 488.00 has yet to be released to me. Even the supervisors are not willing to help. Nobody documents what was said during the previous phone conversations. Foremost Auto, Bristol West, Waterhouse and Associates all are garbage.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Last Friday I was in an accident with someone who has auto insurance with Bristol West. The other driver was at fault so my insurance agency instructed me to file the claim with the other driver's insurance. Bristol West and their adjustor Michael ** have been very prompt & cordial in getting me set up to have my car repaired and renting another car while mine is being repaired. They and their client have taken some of the sting out of being in an accident.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

This insurance company is absolutely THE WORST. First, they tried to tack on fees for not picking paperless notifications (which I did and come to find out no one actually authorized it so by it never went through), promised to give me credits for my future payments to take off fees, and then constantly said I didn't have enough money in my account for payments which I always did. Never will respond to customer service emails or calls. All they've done is tack on fees for their own negligence and expecting me to pay it. Terrible. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone. They are literally the worst insurance company I've ever dealt with. I'm sick of the "fees" from THEIR screw ups.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I got into a car accident this August 31, 2017. Despite numerous attempts to contact Bristol West Insurance in regard to my claim, no one seemed able to answer my questions or return my calls. The only answers we were able to obtain were through a friend of the family who works for the same company. As you can imagine, the telephone-game of information often got distorted and I became increasingly confused with what I needed to do regarding my accident and my claim.

Long story short, now I'm about to owe the DMV an extra $500 for the abandoned title fee that the tow company (impound?) filed for because we kept being promised, that an adjuster would be sent out and the car would be totaled any day. Well, after fighting, literally fighting, over the phone with my insurance company on and off today, on top of being called a liar and accused of "playing games" and trying to make me feel crazy when he stated that our family friend "doesn't exist", they are refusing to buck up and cover the $500 fee that has incurred due to their own negligence. DO. NOT. DO. BUSINESS. WITH. THIS. COMPANY. They will not only not be there when you actually need them but they will also talk to you like you're the scum of the earth and make you feel like you're less than for trying to figure things out for yourself.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had a very bad experience with the representative management, named Paul **, they were overcharging me saying I missed a payment when their own website and my bank statements show they took it out, he's very unhelpful probably the worst manager for anything in the world. I'm currently starting legal proceedings against them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

After speaking with a customer service rep about cancelling my policy before the renewal date, I was told that I had to fax, email or mail my request for cancellation. I chose to email my request that very day (the day before the renewal of the next policy started). I am now being charged a $25.00 return payment fee as Bristol took the money out of my account and my bank returned the money to me as they agreed that Bristol took it out unauthorized. The rep did NOT inform me that my written signature was needed if I chose to send an email. In fact, I never SIGNED anything saying I wanted to renew my policy after I received a renewal notification, and went ahead and purchased a new policy with a different agent so that I had continuous coverage.

Since they are such sticklers for a signature, I argued about that as well. How can it apply to me but not to them? Customer service every time I have spoken with them is outsourced and is HORRIBLE. Rude, unkind and not willing to work with you. She would not budge and told me that I owe them the return EFT fee and that my conversation was recorded with the rep the day I asked it to be cancelled... I said go check the tape then, I was NOT informed. I refuse to pay this $25.00 and now they are threatening collections. Bogus company. They don't even deserve the 1 star rating I gave but since it recognizes that I am very dissatisfied with my experience, 1 star it is.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

The entire time I've been a customer with Bristol West has just been horrible, I wish I could rate them negative stars. They also increase our rates seems like once a month without any explanation. The customer service is really bad, and unwilling to work with you. I feel like I have to repeat myself so many different ways to get my point across. It's just been a headache with this insurance since day one and I cannot wait until my policy with them is up. I would run fast as you can from this company. It's not worth your money.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

If you are in San Francisco, CA. Better use Metromile or Geico or something else. Bristol Insurance (Partners) are even worst. If you get stuck on traffic and need road assistance they are close and it will have to come out of your pocket. They will even try to bump your rate up to 30% and if you complain that's the only when they do something. They are ready to steal from you. I got refund after the cancellation that's I gave them one star. I am still waiting for another refund that they could have void it because was still pending but they at the end charged me anyways and now I need to wait 15 days to get my refund. Don't do business with this company because the problems start when you need them.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I was transferred to Bristol West from 21st Century. Very bad communication with policy and documents. Resulting in cancellation after two months. Then one month after cancelling I receive another bill for a charge for not getting my documents signed and returned in time. After they were sent way late. When I cancelled I was told my last payment paid my remaining balance up until my cancellation date at the end of the month. Then a month later I get the surprise. Read the REVIEWS for BRISTOL WEST INS. Then switch to a reputable ins, company. I switched to GEICO. Wow So much better and Cheaper.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I have been with Bristol West Insurance for years. They have never given me a hard time about anything. I've had my old car towed and they repaid for it. I've had other incidents and they've always covered it. I'm sorry that they are leaving Michigan State. Now I'm having problems trying to find another Insurance co. that gave me the great same service.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I can't recommend this company to anyone. Foremost Insurance is definitely NOT for NO ONE. BRISTOL WEST INSURANCE is what they are really under. I renewed my insurance last week for 2 vehicles. On Monday I called to remove 1 vehicle I no longer have and they started with the runaround. The 1st rep told me it was too late to stop the payment (it was the 17, I understood that) which comes out on the 19th but will distribute the credit to future 5 payments left and told me what the new payment would be before they apply the credit, which would be lowered once the credit applies. I called Thursday, new rep: New monthly payment amount was told to me before the credit, but she informed me what the new monthly would be after the credit though their website was not reflecting what was being said. She explained I would get document tonight. The latest the next day.

I received new doc information that evening. Of course, a different amount from what the 2 reps I spoke to, I call and spoke to rep which was very head strong and not trying to listen or understand what I was saying. She informed me the credit was applied and new amount reflects that: amount was higher than all the 2 and she could explain where the amount that was taken out of my account went or applied to. I ask for a supervisor. She gave me a Team Lead, that didn't know what to tell me next, each time I clarified what she was saying that was false information. This company is a rip off from they would refund me back my tow charge just submit my receipt via fax, to it was not on my policy from another rep. They put me on hold for supervisor which NEVER answered the phone. BEWARE and STAND CLEAR!

Original review: July 9, 2017

I recently bought a new 2017 Jeep and Farmers Insurance turned the policy over to Bristol West. I was in a car accident 4 weeks later, when another car hit me while backing out of a parking lot space. I got an estimate for my damage of $2433 and Bristol West filed a mini tort with Amerisure Insurance, who paid my deductible, but Bristol West made me upload pictures of damage to a third party site and made the determination that the estimate was only $1933. I have NEVER had an insurance company not honor a body shop’s estimate. Or try not to pay the full claim amount when I have full coverage on my leased vehicle. I will cancel my insurance and NEVER recommend them to anyone. I would not even give them 1 star, but I am forced to! Plus their customer service agent was rude and never returned phone calls.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I have talk to many customer representatives for Bristol West/Farmers Insurance about refund after cancellation. The difference amount for 4 days is $224. The amount per month was just over $383 per month. This makes no sense to me at all. I canceled on the 24th of May and was charge the following month $383 and some different change because they would not have been able to take out $383.40 with a stop on the amount. They change the amount so they could take money out after service disconnect. This was FRAUDULENT! The bank informed me this is how they get extra money all the time. At this time I have no refund. They can take out but take a long time to refund and the amount comes from a Disney calculator. Thank you. I hope you can help me and others with this Corporate stealing from consumers. Really did not want to give any form of a star.

Original review: June 22, 2017

It was a very unpleasant experience with this company. Their quote is not even much of a difference from a major insurance company. Their automatic withdrawal is will constantly claim there was no funds, yet the money is in the bank. This is with the purpose of being to charge reinstatement fee. You can speak to 5 different representatives that will give you different reasons as to why they are charging you extra. The policy will increase without any legitimate reason just because "everybody's policy increased". I have finally had it with their inconsistency and lack of knowledge. Well guess what? Half way into the month they were supposed to refund the other half and just like always, even the supervisor claims that the previous month had not been paid therefore, they used the half of May they were supposed to refund to cover the part of April that supposedly had not been paid.

Out of the $180 I was supposed to receive, just got $40 because of all these surcharges to cancel! The representative was trying to give me details of all the surcharges and kept putting me on hold trying to add up to how I was only refunded $40. At $90 she couldn't come up with more and when I asked for a supervisor, she said April had not been paid fully. Only partial payment had been received from an AUTOMATIC PAYMENT method. Like seriously! What company insurance company actually reinstates your policy yet you allegedly still owe them part of the previous month. I canceled on the 11th of May, and they were still trying to charge me the entire month until they finally accepted that I had coverage with another company on the 11th so they had to grant that date as final day.

Wanna know the difference? Had I canceled the 24th of May my refund would have been 37.37 dollars. Since it was back dated to the 11th I get an extra 3 dollars back for those 13 days. 3 dollars for 13 days! And the monthly payments were for 301.21. I cannot explain the relief I feel we finally left these thief and no longer associate with such dishonest company. I strongly suggest you stay away from Bristol West Insurance - Foremost. You will regret it. I wish I had not trusted these insurance specialists. Make sure to always read the reviews. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I was moved to this company when 21 Century left Colorado. First they were more than double the price. We're in our 40's with good credit, but the price still doubled. My husband was very sick doing chemo and radiation so I just paid for 3 months because I didn't have time to shop around. A month later my husband passed away and I called to remove him from the policy. "That can't be done unless we receive a request in writing." Neither could I remove his car without proof he doesn't drive or own it anymore. WHAT?!? Also in writing. So I said "just cancel my policy. Finding a new company." Guess what... yep, in writing.

After my 3rd transfer to a supervisor (oddly, the land line keep getting disconnected. Hmmm...) I was finally told I could write the letter, take a picture of it and email that. Perfect. Got a response email the next day saying we received your request and have canceled your policy. Now remember I had already paid in full for 3 months, so 2 more to go... you'd think. I got 3 bills for the next 3 months after receiving cancellation confirmation. That was all in April. Last week I receive a refund of the unused 1 1/2 months.

Today I get a nasty letter from Lamont, Hanley &Assoc., Inc. saying I owe Bristol West $20 and that Bristol West has been EXTREMELY (the whole thing is in all caps) patient and this overdue balance deserves my immediate attention. Huh?!? A collection agency? After I get my refund? I used to work for a Farmers Insurance agent years ago and am appalled that they are affiliated with these people!!!

Original review: June 3, 2017

Bristol West is the worst insurance company in the world. Warning warning I would never recommend anybody to use them as an insurance company. They are very shady. They don't give a flying **. The adjusters are very crooked. They try to manipulate and do not want to pay for my car repairs. When it was their client's fault. The adjusters are very crooked they try to manipulate and do not want to pay for my car repairs. They have had my car for over two months and I'm really pissed off with this **. The company can just go ** themselves.

Original review: May 9, 2017

My vehicle was parked in a restaurant parking lot when it was hit by a driver insured by Bristol West. The bright side is the driver was honest and tracked me down in the restaurant and reported what happened. The bad side is, she had Bristol West. I have had nothing but headaches dealing with this company while trying to get my vehicle repaired.

First they told me that it should only take 2 days to repair and would only pay for a rental car for that amount of time. I was told that they wouldn't pay for more days just because the body shop was busy and couldn't complete the repairs in the 2 days. Secondly, I was told that they would only pay for a small car. My vehicle is a SUV and I drive one for a reason. I am battling with them over that right now. They have very poor customer service. I would not recommend Bristol West to anyone. They are horrible to deal with. I'm glad they are not my insurance company, but I still have to deal with them to get my vehicle repaired. Horrible experience...

Original review: May 4, 2017

Our car was totaled by a Bristol West customer on October 6, 2016 and the claim has not been paid and today is May 4, 2017. It is a cut and dry claim. The guy ran a red light and hit us. Krystal ** is our claims adjuster and she is a liar. As of now Krystal told the "free car lot" they shipped the car to that we are abandoning the car because we have not responded to her. I cannot get Krystal to answer her phone, emails, etc... At this point I am ready to board a flight and go talk to this ** in person because I don't know what else to do. I have been a CPA for thirty years and I have NEVER dealt with a company as bad as this. There should be an option for a zero star on this site.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I decided to file a claim towards my own policy. Because the other driver's insurance, wanted to settle less than what it cost to repair my truck. I settled with my insurance, and took the offer. And I was able to keep the truck. This is my first time retaining a vehicle. But, the issue is, The claim dept. allowed me to keep my truck but failed, and neglected to advise what I had to do in regards of retaining of my truck. I later experience some frustration when I went to DMV trying to get a new tag. These includes not able to drive my truck for a week. Communication would have been appreciated between Insurance company and the Consumer.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

We had an accident with someone insured with Bristol West. The experience has been so terrible I wish I could give them zero stars. There was zero communication. They don't return calls until you start harassing them. The total loss adjuster was extremely rude. Or is, because I am sure this thing isn't over.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

The current date of this review is December 12th, 2016. To start off, out of 5 stars I wouldn't even rate this insurance company a 1 out of 5. However it did not give me the option to leave a 0 out of 5 rating. Secondly I would like to state that my agent, whom I've never had the pleasure of speaking with, was Andy **, because I never received any call backs from him. Whoever worked in his office spoke with me. I am very unsatisfied with the services because I feel as I have been robbed of my money rather than insured and taken care of. My first time payment was not the same amount as discussed upon signing up. I am charged twice a month for different policies that I am lied and tricked into signing up for as a "better deal". I sign up for paperless billing and I do not receive emails or letters discussing when my payments do not process.

When the insurance does not bill me one month it rolls over and bills me twice the next month without my knowledge leaving me confused and overdraft fees. This happened multiple times. I was not informed that my policy will renew on its own, as I already spoke with one of the agent's minions and mentioned that I will not renew and proceed with the insurance. However the policy renewed and stole more of my money. I then had the money returned only to find a letter in the mail for a Notice of Rescission for Non-Payment. So I am left with an amount due towards a policy I did not authorize a renewal for.

I then called and spoke with customer service for a few hours. Nothing has been too helpful besides the gentleman on the phone that canceled one of the policies for me. Yet I still have to pay the amount due. I am very unsatisfied and do not recommend insuring with this company. I am not using my true identification leaving this review so please do not try to respond and harass the random email I used to post this review. But please readers of this review, understand this company is very unfaithful. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Bristol West Insurance is the biggest rip off. I was quoted a monthly price, by the first payment they raised it for no reason. The second payment, it raised another 22 dollars. The third payment, it was raised another 25 dollars. They sent a notice that they would be doing auto pay out of my account after I told the agent three times that I never do auto pay. Within 15 days the payment went from 193$ to 260$. Of course I cancelled and they said I would be getting 14$ refund, it should be a 60$ refund, but still no refund at all. I went through a Farmers insurance broker, they aren't any better. Disgraceful.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

On October 31, 2016, I received my monthly credit card billing statement. On it was a charge from Bristol West Insurance Co., Davie Florida, in the amount of $505.00. I HAVE NEVER HAD INSURANCE thru this company. I have never spoken to an agent from this company. I have not been in Florida for about 2 years, and that was not near Davie Florida. I called my credit card company and it immediately removed this charge from my billing, without question, noting that the matter would be looked into. Anyone else out there receiving what appear to be pseudo billings?

Bristol West Insurance Company Information