2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Bristol West is a member of Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. It offers standard coverage, as well as optional, personalized add-on services. The company focuses particularly on affordable insurance options for high-risk drivers and offers 24/7 online policy access.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Published review 12/4/20. This insurance company wanted to charge me over $300 for one vehicle. I agreed because at the time it was the cheapest option I could find. I’ve been a customer for 3 years. From the month of August this year I look at my account and my went up to $500!!! I called in and asked why? They said that my wife on the account had 2 claims. My wife has a perfect driving record. I called in Lexis Nexis and had proof that she had no claims. They said that they couldn’t do anything for that month and wanted a $500 payment for the month of August. I cancelled with them and spoke with James (the owner for Bristol West in my area) and had 2 other representatives tell me that we owed nothing 4 different times! So I was okay with this because I didn’t want to pay a bill that big.

3 months down the road I get a letter in the mail saying that we had a $300 payment. I was outraged and tried to call them. They were impossible to reach. I finally got ahold of them and tried to get it figured out and they said that they sent emails, letters, etc. stating the notice for a an outstanding balance. My wife and I haven’t received one thing!!! I received a letter actually from collections. The company would not waive that and needed a full payment. After all of this bull **, my wife and I switched to State Farm insurance. For full coverage on our 2014 Honda CR-V and liability on my truck, we now pay $180 for both. Bristol West is such a rip off and such a scam. Do not, I repeat do not get insurance with this company. And please do your research on insurance companies.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I sent in a cancellation request and it took 2 weeks to process it and they kept telling me I was missing things every time I sent it in, now since it’s processed they’re telling me in an additional 2 more weeks to get a refund back! It’s been over a month since I sent in my cancellation request and I still nothing. The wait time for agent is about 5-10 minutes every time you call and people who work there don’t know what they are doing!!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

After canceling with this company I still got charged two more months on my credit card as a recurring charge the total amount was now $727. I contacted the company. They stated that was a mistake on their end and that I would get reimbursed within 5 to 10 business days. It has now been over 3 weeks and my money is not back on my account. I have been calling the agent. She says she has no clue what is going on but there's no update. I've been calling the company directly and they just transfer me over and over to different departments. I can get an answer of where is my money. It's ridiculous. This is the worst company I have dealt with.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I cancelled my auto insurance with your company as your customer service is awful, you charge $6.00 to make a payment with a person (which I’ve NEVER heard of) and you charge someone with a 96 Toyota Camry $93.00 for the lowest insurance you can buy!! Don’t worry, I have cancelled my policy with you and made sure friends and family know not to ever do business with your company as you have proved time and time again you aren’t worth the money or hassle. I went with another company who for the same coverage, I now pay $38 a month instead of your ridiculous $93 a month. I am SO happy to say I never have to call or deal with your company again and I’ve never had an issue with any company treating me the way you have. Good Riddance!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

This insurance is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen. Unexpected rate increase and added people I didn’t even know on to my insurance. When I finally got someone on the phone, they could not give me an explanation of the rate increase, nor the unknown drivers added to my insurance. Poorest excuse for an insurance company I have ever dealt with!! Definitely will be finding me a different company to insure with.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This has been by far the worst experience I’ve ever had with any insurance company. No one is able to give you a straight answer regarding questions about your policy and I had a representative say he couldn’t confirm whether or not I have full coverage insurance, as they don’t use that term. All he could state was that I had certain limits and coverage. I was charged an excessive premium for adding a vehicle. Minimum legal coverage for my state was going to cost me $159 a month. I drive a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee people! And I have a clean record. Needless to say, they ripped me off for 340 bucks and I cancelled. Don’t even bother with this company. They’re a joke.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Have had insurance for over 20 years and company was bought out by Bristol West and has turned into the worst experience ever. I have been paying them without a claim for 20 years and they increase my monthly payment by 40.00 for a cost of living fee.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I want to add roadside assist so I can get help when I need it. They told me it will be extra $70 per month + monthly car insurance. Which is too much price so I end up with just keep the insurance. I was not happy with service. Worst insurance company ever I had seen in my life. Insurance company canceled the insurance without notifying me. Never ever send me any email. I does not know until I got pulled over by cops. I was shocked because my car insurance has still 3 months left of expiring.

I called them. They were keep hanging up my phone. It won't even send the refund check or anything in mailbox not in the email. This insurance company is joke. It is wasting money. Please do not get this insurance. It is better to get paid little bit more and get a better service. This insurance has so many bad reviews. I don't why this insurance company is still open. Please do not waste your money and your time. This is spam. If you are agree insurance company is joke or spam report them So other person can save their money.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I signed up for an auto policy with Bristol West because they offered a great rate, though I had to purchase renter's insurance in order to obtain the rate. But I was ok with this. I paid the six-month premium upfront. Bristol West then threatened to increase my premium because they claimed that I still lived at an old address. I offered to send a copy of my lease or other proof of residence. They refused to accept any such documentation and instead insisted that I dispute the information with the credit bureau, which is apparently how they incorrectly determined my address.

I filed the dispute with Equifax despite the absurdity of having to go out of my way to deal with a third party that has nothing to do with where I live. I subsequently canceled my policy with Bristol West once my six-month policy was up. Then I received a notice from Bristol West claiming that I owed them $95 with no explanation. I never changed my policy nor had any claims with them. There is no indication on my Bristol West account what this charge is for, nor how to dispute it. The same day that I received the notice from Bristol West, I also received notice from a debt collector that Bristol West apparently turned my "debt" over to. I am still in the process trying to resolve this issue with Bristol West and now have to look into legal options for redressing the damage to my credit :(.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I have full coverage insurance and have had it for 8 yrs with them. My car was stolen when I went to quick check an apartment I was cleaning. I made the police report and then the claim. Patricia ** was the adjuster handling my insurance claim. From the very beginning she was very rude. First thing she said is, "We probably will not approve your claim because it happened at your place of business." Then called me back and said, "Ok we will go through with it." She had me run all across town getting service reports, and bill of sale of my vehicle.

Then said she sent me papers to get notarized. I open the mail and did not find any papers to have notarized, so I called her to ask what am I supposed to have notarized? She said very rudely, “did you even open the letter to look at the papers?” I was like, "Uhhh yea. It’s just a letter confirming you all are taking the claim." She was like, "Oh... let me email them to you real quick then" (no apology). So I finally get them and had to pay 40 dollars at UPS just to get these papers notarized and sent to them. And no I did not get reimbursed for that. I got the call my car had been found two days later. No real damage to the outside but the motor was blown, and they identified the thief as a 17 yr old minor who has already had a history of stealing cars.

A few days later she calls me and says, "Sorry we are denying your claim because we cannot find any proof that the engine being blown was due to the thief having it." We argue for days about this. I say, "What more proof do you need then? My car was running just fine the day I was driving it, and then when I got it back from being stolen, the motor was completely blown?" Patricia was very rude and said “well back in October last yr when you had your oil changed they said there was no oil on the stick prior to the change, what do you expect is going to happen when you drive your car around with no oil in it?”

I said my next oil change said the oil was full prior to, and I did not need to come back for another oil change 6,000 miles. When my car got stolen I still had 500 more miles until I needed to go back for the next oil change, so there are no records indicating that I have not taken care of my car, period!!! And her responses continued to be very rude, she kept raising her voice with me and cutting me off while I was speaking. I ended up going to her supervisor Deborah **. I complained about how rude and unprofessional Patricia ** was and she told me she shouldn’t have spoke to me like that and she will talk to her, but was more trying to defend her and say how good great she actually is (I pretty much figure they are good friends). But Deborah was very pleasant to talk with and respectful I will say that.

But in the end after a week of going back and forth it was the same outcome, that if they could not prove 100% how the engine blew and that it was 100% the thief’s fault, that they could not honor my claim. And also that it does not matter at all that they cannot even prove that anything was wrong with my car or my engine prior to the theft. So now, I have no car that I still owe 3,000 dollars on, even though I have been paying 8yrs for full coverage insurance with them, it has been for absolutely no reason. I don’t know, I guess when they figured out it was a minor who stole my car and they knew they would not be able to collect money out of him, they were dead set on making sure they could deny a mother of 5 children who now has no car, who should have been protected with the FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE SHE HAS BEEN PAYING FOR FOR 8 YRS!!!!

As soon as I am able to, I am canceling my insurance with them, and also my mother, my 3 cousins, my aunt, and my grandmother who are also insured with Bristol West, are canceling theirs as well. So they just lost a total of eight people counting my husband and I as well at one time. I’m absolutely disappointed and disgusted with how Bristol West insurance, and their adjuster Patricia ** treated me. I've never witnessed such unprofessionalism in my life.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information