Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

About Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West is a member of Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. It offers standard coverage, as well as optional, personalized add-on services. The company focuses particularly on affordable insurance options for high-risk drivers and offers 24/7 online policy access.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Medical care coverage up to $10,000
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • Affordable
Cons
  • Policy info not available online
  • Not ideal for low-risk drivers

Featured Reviews

Verified
Denver, CO

... I had a great experience with them. I talked to the rep on Monday after accident late Friday and had rental car that same day for 11 days. The vehicle was totalled and I had a...

Verified
Moultrie, GA

This is a great company. I have been using them for years and have not had the slightest problem. I had an accident and the company paid out without having to fight them for it! T...

What is Bristol West?

Bristol West is an insurer that provides affordable auto coverage to a wide range of drivers, including those with low credit or poor driving history (e.g., DUIs or multiple traffic violations). The company is available in 42 states and offers a wide range of services, such as 24/7 policy info on its mobile app and flexible payment options. It also provides online claims processing and bill payment.

Bristol West insurance coverage

Bristol West offers a variety of standard plans and benefits, including liability, comprehensive and collision coverage, as well as uninsured motorist, bodily injury, property damage and rental reimbursement insurance. You can also add medical coverage up to $10,000, towing and roadside service and trailer physical damage coverage. Bristol West’s rideshare coverage insures drivers for Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare companies.

Bristol West insurance quotes and costs

Bristol West offers several plans at varying rates to accommodate your coverage and service needs. It gives discounts for automatic payments, paperless billing, safe driving and multipolicy enrollment and provides flexible billing and payment plan options. Bristol West also has a user-friendly mobile app and offers text reminders for bill pay.

Bristol West FAQ

Who owns Bristol West?
Farmers Insurance Group owns Bristol West. Farmers Insurance Group is a well known insurer with over 48,000 exclusive and independent agencies in the U.S.
Does Bristol West offer services in Spanish?
Yes, Bristol West does offer services in Spanish. Call its customer support line to get help in Spanish.
Where is Bristol West available?
Bristol West is available in 42 states throughout the country.

Is Bristol West a good insurance company?

Bristol West offers competitive rates for high-risk drivers and those with poor credit. It provides comprehensive and collision coverage as well as roadside assistance and liability insurance. Policyholders can also add rideshare, medical, rental reimbursement, uninsured motorist, bodily injury or permissive user coverage. Its online claims, flexible bill pay, paperless billing, text alerts and mobile app make it convenient, but it might not be the best option for low-risk drivers.

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 1%
  • 3%
  • 1%
  • 0%
  • 94%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?
    Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed July 5, 2024

The worst company there is, not just insurance wise but in everything. Using them for insurance ranks top 3 biggest mistakes I have ever done in my adult life. Never fall for their "cheap rates". You will end up paying more. These crooks altered my policy 5 times in a space of 6 weeks without a new thing happen on my end. From 132 USD monthly, I paid 359 USD because they said I had not provided them with proof of prior insurance. I provided them with what was requested and they said they had not yet implemented it after almost 4 weeks of receipt. The monthly premiums never returned to 132 USD, it came down to 207, then 215 then 249 and then 286. I will just receive emails stating an amendment was added to my policy without me adding a driver, getting involved in an accident, filing claims or changing anything.

I believe I called their office close to 15 times complaining about the financial difficulties they put me in by increasing my premiums randomly. These people never cared, apparently all in collusion with one another to defraud the public. How is it that a one-star insurance company is still in business? It is one star for a reason. I have sworn to always follow reviews. If I did I would have never experienced this. If you read this, please avoid Bristol. If you choose to go ahead, you will end up writing a review more scathing than mine.

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed July 1, 2024

Ok so Bristol west is the absolute WORST company. Not just insurance but company as a whole I’ve ever dealt with… Outrageous rates. They wanted $900 a month knowing no one else would insure me saying I was in an accident. That wasn’t my fault. They said they can’t tell if I was or wasn’t. To justify it I went from $150-$900 a month in 3 years and of course I didn’t pay them. I went to Geico and paid $220 a month… They sent me to collections for $50 3 times and also sent a letter to the MVC saying I terminated my insurance 2 times which led to dmv suspending my registration which in turn cost me my job driving because I switch insurers and they were petty mad and the MVC did send me a letter saying to return plates or send proof of insurance which ended up getting lost in the mail at my house… Still never got my job back either…

If I could sue them I absolutely would mainly for sending me to collections 3 diff times for $50-$65-$78 for payments I never made because I CANCELLED but they for some reason kept the policy open for 3 extra weeks past the due date again to be petty… The customer support was disgusting. Rude. Hung up on you and would laugh when you tell them your mother dying of cancer and rely on me to drive her to the hospital and I don’t have $655 a month for the state minimum insurance because you guys are taking advantage of no one else insuring me for owning an Elantra which are notorious for being stolen… They’re vile. They’re scum and they also don’t pay out during accidents is what I’ve heard from others whom used them… STAY AWAY. STAY AWAY.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Claims Handling

Reviewed June 12, 2024

Bristol West rips off customers when filing a claim. We filed a claim starting 5/3/24. We still received haven't received the work vehicle since Bristol West is contesting the parts that need to be installed to get the car fixed. Also the reason why we haven't received the car yet is that BW sends payments late to the fixer so they can get away with not paying off the rental car we rented. June 3rd has come and go and the car not fixed since the payments they send takes time to get there since payment is mailed via check through regular mail. The fixers are waiting for the check to pay for the parts to be installed to fix the car. So all in all BW very in untrustworthy and recommend don't sign up with them.

Customer Service

Reviewed June 11, 2024

I'm very disappointed with this auto insurance company. Tried to help my friends add the vehicle to the existing policy, took us 26 hours. Their IT system is outdated and doesn't allow for quick vehicle insurance. The phone process is slow and bogged down by excessive bureaucracy. Not recommended if you're looking for a fast and efficient auto insurance service.

Reviewed May 22, 2024

Deserves ZERO stars. This company is the lowest of the low unless you have no other choice, dear God and heaven do not use this company. You will be sorry. Once you cancel at the end of your premium period they automatically charge you for your next six months and then they charge you $140 paperwork for that one month and then they continue to send you bills every single month after that claiming that you owe money. Unless you’re desperate, they should be your absolute last resort.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoveragePrice

Reviewed May 18, 2024

I've been with Bristol West for years. Always been on auto-pay. Never had any issues until recently. I run a business, so there are bills for that as well as the bills for my household. I put everything I can on auto-pay so I can spend more time running the business rather than trying to keep track of all my bills. My insurance premium for Jan 2023 was $574.60 for three vehicles, 1995 Jag XJ6, 2015 Ford Fusion, 2019 Jeep Renegade. I've never had a claim and we all have a clean driving record. In May 2023, it went up to $677.00. Nov 2023, it went up again to 697.00. Unaware of any of the rate hikes, the Jan 2024 payment declined. Did they send an email? No. They cancelled my policy and I didn't even know it until I went to renew the tags on one of those vehicles. I had to get a new policy.

In February 2024, it was $478.00. Then in March, it shot up to $985.00! It's only three vehicles, been with them for years, and have NEVER made a claim. Again, on May 14, 2024, unaware of the price hike, there wasn't enough in that account to cover it, so it was declined. Again, no email showing that the payment declined. I sitting here on the 18th thinking that everything is good in the world. Today on the 18th of May, only four days after the payment was due, and still unaware that the payment didn't go through, I receive an email stating the payment is past due and to avoid cancellation, it needs to be paid by the 30th.

I log in to pay it. It's up to $1,342.00!!! For a 29 year old car, a 9 year old car, and a 5 year old car. Seriously? I've been with them for at least 6 or 7 years, NEVER filed a claim, and a clean driving record. As soon as I have time, I'm shopping around. I've never paid rates like this. How do my rates go up over $700 in a little over a year when we've done nothing to warrant it? And the policy is cancelled before I even know the payment failed. I was driving earlier thinking I had insurance when I didn't.

Reviewed May 16, 2024

They are the worst company to deal with charging twice in one month after I made my payment on time on day it was due, they asked for another payment saying since I did not pay before the due date they could charge me another 25$. NO NO NO.

Profile pic of the author.
      Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 10, 2024

I have expressed significant concerns regarding my insurance policy and urgently request a comprehensive review and reimbursement for overcharges from July 2023 to April 2024. On July 10, 2023, I initiated a request via email to exclude two drivers from my policy. Despite providing the necessary documentation and following your instructions, these drivers were not excluded, resulting in an erroneous charge of $500 per month. I followed up with a phone call on November 22, 2023, to add another driver and reiterated the need to exclude the initial two drivers. During this interaction, insurance representative acknowledged that there was an error on Bristol West end, and assurances were given for both the correction of the issue and reimbursement. However, these promised changes were not implemented, and overcharges continued.

Additionally, on April 19, 2024, when I contacted Bristol West office to request an insurance document, I was informed that I was excluded from the policy, contrary to the fact that on May 24, 2023, my husband had called to include me, which enabled the inclusion and subsequent adjustments concerning other drivers. Given this series of miscommunications and administrative errors, and despite my proactive attempts to rectify these issues—as evidenced by substantial phone discussions totaling 192 minutes from April 19 to 23, 2024—I continue to face financial discrepancies.

Upon the recent cancellation of my renewed policy, I was advised of a pending reimbursement of only $275 for the overcharges and an additional $424 for the policy cancellation. This proposed reimbursement does not adequately reflect the substantial overcharge amount accumulated over ten months, totaling approximately $2,000.

I attached are all relevant communications, including emails and detailed call records from T-Mobile, documenting my numerous attempts to rectify this issue. I urge the Bristol West for a thorough review of these documents to verify the chronology and details of my communications with the company. I request a detailed breakdown of how the initial reimbursement amount was calculated and an appropriate correction to reflect the full extent of the overcharges. I expected a response within 14 business days and hope for an amicable resolution. If this matter is not satisfactorily resolved, I am prepared to take legal steps to secure the necessary corrections and compensation. I have never received any response from them.

Customer ServiceClaims HandlingCoverageOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed May 7, 2024

This company is absolutely horrible, could not add a car to my policy in the app like they said. Had to call my agent, made a windshield glass claim on 04-20-2024 and as of 3 weeks later still no replacement, I pay $881.00 a month on 3 cars. 2 of them are full coverage and because Bristol West drag their feet to verify coverage my windshield is still broken, called to get help or have questions. You get passed around to multiple people and never get answers, I do not recommend this company at all. They are a waste of time and your money.

Reviewed April 30, 2024

Had them for a few years. Worst service ever had. Had to give 1 star. They deserve zero stars. Keeps raising my rates never had to use the insurance but still had added a newer car to the policy and canceled service within a few days cuz I was lied to. When I checked to see what this 2018 Malibu would do to the insurance was lied to. Said one thing that charged something different with a poor excuse to follow that. After canceled they sent another bill for 53 bucks then sent it to collections. Do yourself a favor and boycott this company unless you want taken advantage of. Worst service ever. Stay away.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information