Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.36/5

Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West Insurance offers multiple auto insurance coverage options to customers in all 50 states. Bristol isn't part of the InsuraMatch program that powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch to get your personalized quotes from all their verified partners.

BOTTOM LINE

Bristol West Insurance is a member of the Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the United States. Reviewers say the claims process is fast and efficient. Bristol West offers standard and optional coverages with personalized service and specializes in insurance options for high-risk drivers.

PROS

• Low down payment options
  • Product sold by local agents and brokers
  • Standard, comprehensive and optional coverage options
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • SR-22 or FR-44 options available

CONS

• A few customers reported unexpected price increases
  • Some customers experienced a delay while getting a quote

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

196 Bristol West Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 20, 2019

We had Progressive for over a year, and after sending a letter thanking us for our loyalty they then renewed our policy at a 20% increase? I called a local agent to price other insurance, and even though we technically had a lapse (our Progressive canceled a few days before we finalized the new insurance) they still considered us insured and did not increase our rates for the lapse of insurance.

We saved over $100 a month for 2 vehicles, were able to go online the next day and print our ID cards as well as email them to myself so I can pull them up whenever needed. So far, no complaints. For the price I understand they may not be stellar coverage, but we have what we need for our older paid off cars, and the peace of mind that we are covered.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had just switched to Foremost/Bristol West after 30 years of a perfect driving record. Boom! Got broadsided by an underinsured driver. From the very first call, the company representatives treated me with the greatest respect and kindness. Made sure I got the medical care I needed, and gave me the best settlement they could, according to my policy. They, in fact, saved my life. My rate did go up some, but understandable with the money they paid. I will be their customer for life and hope no more accidents. ;o ]

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This is a great company. I have been using them for years and have not had the slightest problem. I had an accident and the company paid out without having to fight them for it! The process was easy and got resolved very quickly.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I had an accident that was not my fault in Aug 2018. The other driver was insured thru Progressive and they should have been the company helping me. Their client was cited for the accident which totaled my car leaving me with no transportation. After waiting over a week and a half for them to do something. I called Bristol West and let them know that Progressive was not helping me and I had rented a car paying out of pocket to get to work. My claims adjuster was Hanns and he stepped in and took care of everything! He had me reimbursed for the rental and had the whole claim took care of quickly. I had never been in a situation to file an insurance claim and didn't know what I was supposed to do. I thank him very much for his help and professionalism.

Original review: June 14, 2019

When one of their insured hit me, I called the company to make sure that the policy was valid, but when I filed the claim, they said that he cancelled it earlier that day. When speaking to the claims person, I asked them to check on this and they admitted that there may be some fraud going on but that they won't cover my damages. I would never purchase insurance from a company that lets this go on. They are just as much at fault for this. This company caters to low-end buyers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: June 4, 2019

This insurance company made me lose faith in humanity. We were customers of "Farmers" for over 10 years just because we didn't know better. We later found out that we were under "Farmers-Bristol West". I was involved in a Hit and Run accident. The other car took off after T-boning my car. Couldn't find the driver. What a tragic story! Fortunately, we were all okay.

Now, the real tragedy actually began, when I had to deal with my own insurance. I had to follow up a countless number of calls and every time I am on the phone with the Bristol West agent who handled my case, I felt so insulted by him. Not only that he doesn't even have the basic customer service, but he also made sure I got the phone with the worst feelings of my life: they don't care that my brand new 2017 Subaru was severely damaged or denying my injury cost, and tricking me to sign my lease with the settlement of just over 1K. I am so over this. I hope someone will find this post helpful and please do yourself a favor by switching to another insurance company.

Original review: May 28, 2019

It all started off shaky when they wanted a copy of the deed to my house. Or I would get a price hike. Month or two later I noticed my bill went up almost double what it was. Immediately called and cancelled. So now I'm having trouble getting my refund. Two days after the bill went up is when I called. They have the nerve to tell me the refund is less than my original payment a month! But wait, there's more! One of the reasons the bill went up is because I was given a discount for having insurance for 6 months prior to them. That is where they get you. Give me the discount and never told me about it. And because I didn't prove my prior insurance, bill went up double and now my refund is less than original. Screw this company, hope it stays at 1 star rating.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I was in an accident on Saturday, May 18, 2019. I live in Augusta, GA and was celebrating my birthday at Carowinds in Charlotte. The wreck caused so cosmetic damage and threw the front wheel out of alignment causing it unsafe to drive back home. However, the car is STILL sitting in my sister-in-law's driveway, and NOTHING has been done! Since they were closed on the weekends (REALLY?), we had to pay out of pocket for a rental, even though we have rental coverage! We went to the rental company when we got home to trade the car in for a cheaper option since BW only covers a certain amount. Once at Enterprise, we were told a claim was started and canceled right after, causing us to take the rental BACK home and waste ANOTHER day! Keep in mind, I have 4 kids who are busy getting ready for summer, and both me and my wife work full time jobs!

Today, my wife is told that we are going to HAVE to go BACK to Charlotte (like we can just drop everything and go whenever we want) to take pictures of the damage (which we did the day of the accident) and then make sure we call the tow truck OURSELVES so the body shop can take a look at the damage. Listen, I pay a GREAT amount of money a month for car insurance for two cars less than 5 years old. Why is it that WE have to do all of the leg work when it should the insurance company that handles all of this?!? Isn't this what we pay monthly for? Oh, and by the way, we are still paying out of pocket for a rental that we should not be paying for! I will be filing another complaint with their affiliate Farmer's. Terrible company that refuses to do anything to help anyone. Not to mention this whole time both agents we spoke to do NOT have a clue what they are doing!

Original review: May 20, 2019

My policy was cancelled due to poor customer service communication. My credit card was compromised, I called in to change the number and make a payment. They told me I had to enter credit card number online. They then canceled my policy for non payment the following month. They did not call, text or email because I was on auto payment plan. I was transferred, got cut off. Kept trying to call. Got cut off 2 more times, next number was all Spanish.

Original review: May 17, 2019

So my husband had this insurance. They keep raising the price every month. Once he was ready and moved to a different insurance Bristol West Insurance. They charged cancellations fee when the insurance was canceled more than 10 day before it was due. Their customers services never help. Every one of them tell you something different every time. They promised if you send them paperwork proving that you have another insurance they will not charge you. I send my self everything they asked and the charges weren't removed. The vehicle was register under my husband name under the new policy. They don't care about customers. They only care about taking $$$.

I made more than 10 calls and they never explained that there was a cancellation fee. It was not on the contract. Be advised managers don't even bother to help. I send four letters with all documentations and explanations but they didn't dropped the charges. When you divide as a customer that you had enough of them rising the price every month be prepared to pay. My recommendation don't take this insurance. It's not worth overpaying and for them to end up overcharging you once you had enough of them.

Original review: April 22, 2019

So this company ended up cancelling my policy due to their own shortcomings. My 6 mo policy was up for renewal. There was no communication from them at all. No mail, or email, nothing. Then they tried to take over $1200 out of my bank account. We didn't know this was going to happen. Well the funds got rejected and I called explaining what happened. I paid for the policy and thought everything was ok. Then I got a cancellation notice in the mail with refund checks for what I just paid (minus a NSF fee of course). There was two weeks of non-coverage because of their poor customer service. Will not use them EVER again!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Yes the title is correct! I was being overcharged and didn’t know. Felt as if they were taking advantage of me because of my age. Price increases without any heads up. Also when I finally left their company they made it so difficult! Kept trying to convince me why I should stay with Bristol West/Foremost Auto Insurance even after I told them I got a better rates at reputable insurance companies. Finally let me switch over to a new company. After 2-3 months of being with my new insurance company I get an email on the 15th saying I have an outstanding balance that must be paid by the 28th and if not paid it’ll go into collections! I’m still young and have been working so hard to build my credit! Customer service is horrible I’ve called over the last 2-3 days and no one at all has been any help!

Original review: April 14, 2019

Bristol West is the worst insurance company that I have ever dealt with! Decided to cancel after needing to make a claim and realizing what a horrible company they were to deal with. Our vehicle was stolen but they treated me like I was the bad guy. Their reps were very rude to me, as a loyal customer. They even tried to deny my claim, by saying I didn't submit pictures, which I did on their app. They found the pictures I had submitted, then tried to deny by stating I had not submitted my full payment history on the vehicle, even though they didn't initially ask for it. I finally got the claim settled and policy cancelled, all documents on their website showed I had a zero balance.

Over a month after cancelling my policy I get a "final notice prior to collections" letter that shows I have a balance going to collections on April 9th. I didn't even get this collection notice until April 12th which was on a Friday. I tried to call Bristol West and they were already closed. Tried to use their online service to pay the "supposed" past due bill, but it showed there was a zero balance. Tried to use their automated phone service to pay and it stated that I had balance of $0.00 that needed paid by 04/13/19 or it would be turned over to collections.

On Saturday 04/13/19 I received a letter from the collection company! Can not contact either company until Monday 04/15/19 and now fear that my credit rating is in jeopardy, when I did nothing wrong. Had I received the supposed $232 bill from the time I cancelled on 02/24/19 to the collection notice on 04/05/19 I would have definitely called to straighten it out, before ever being threatened with collections. According to all documents, I was cancelled with a zero balance. I truly believe they are doing this as retaliation, because I cancelled them after settling a claim, even though I had been insured and had never made a claim for nearly two years. I DO NOT recommend this company. If you ever need to file a claim, they will make a bad situation worse. Get rid of them and they're still creating hell in my life.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Somebody backed into my RV who was insured with Bristol. It's been over a month since we filed a claim and still no resolution. They offered me $600 for $4500 damage! Each time I call my claim adjuster or rep nobody's available and they never call me back when I leave a message. They are trying to stall paying the claim at all costs. This is the worst, cheapest insurance company I've ever had to deal with, do not waste your hard earned money on this fraud!

Original review: April 6, 2019

Bristol West is the absolute worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. I started a policy in February and had to put down 602.80 and my monthly payments were 329.08 and I should have receives a discount for automatic payment. But I was unable to access my account online due to a technical issue on their end. And I called and called about the issue, even spoke to a supervisor, and said it was not fair that I didn't get the discount due to an issue on their end and he said, "Well we don't compensate." Then they didn't see the information for a CARCO inspection right away and dropped the comprehensive and collision coverage until they did and then my payment went up to 540 a month. And when I questioned the increase they, "Well that's what it is now since we put the comprehensive and collision back on and it was less than 30 days."

Today I called to let them know I am canceling, due to the fact that I found a better insurance company with no downpayment and monthly payments of 242.00 and questioned if I would be refunded anything from the 602.80 deposit. They said NO!!! I will never recommend this company. They are the worst, they are thieves.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I was searching for auto insurance called Bristol West. They gave me a quote. I signed up 25 minutes later. I called him back to cancel because I found a better quote for my better QUOTE. Even though I cancel Bristol West they still took the money from my checking account. The manager Natalie has been refusing my calls. Seem like I got to go through my bank and let them do their own investigations. Stay away from these guys.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Worst experience I have ever had. Customer service was terrible, I was unimpressed with how things were run and when I cancelled my policy after 5 days, they only refunded me 20 dollars. DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU ENJOY DISAPPOINTMENT AT EVERY ANGLE. If I could give this company zero stars I would!!!

Original review: March 30, 2019

They have no way to file claims or talk to a human being outside of their standard M-F business hours. On top of that, if your credit card happens to expire during an auto-renewal period they will not try and process the payment until your coverage lapses, and they will not provide coverage during that period, and they will not notify you until about a week after it lapses. Find a real insurance company. These guys are a joke.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I'm not one who is easily offended but man am I pissed off right now! So the Bristol West insurance company FINALLY called me back a little bit ago (only took 6 days). I had to leave a ton of messages before this happened though. The guy who called seemed very annoyed from the beginning. I told him about my daughter's accident and that we needed to get this claim rolling because not having a vehicle is a problem for her. He said he was going to put me on hold and talk to an adjuster. Well I was not on hold like he thought. I could hear everything he was saying about me and it was vulgar and rude! Calling me a ** and a maggot and a whole variety of other insults.

I allowed him to continue until he "came back" to the conversation with me. Obviously I exploded on him at that point and then I hung up. He called back. My husband answered that time and unloaded on him some more. The guy actually had the nerve to say he is canceling our claim! He got caught and somehow we were in the wrong for being upset! It's illegal to cancel a claim when someone's pays for insurance! Someone please contact me if you can help!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My truck got stolen. I went to PD gave a report, got a report number called BW opened a claimed, they never told me that if they dont get a police report within 40 days of the claim they are going to close the claim without paying for my truck! Called the police station and they said it normally take about 1 to 2 months got a police report!!!

So they use that 40 day crap to not pay for your car. They know how long it would take to get one! I pay for full coverage and have rent a car arrangement! But yet they didn't give me a rental car on top of that. They called me 20 days after the claim saying if they dont get the report they are not going to pay for the car will close the claim! It's better to pay 10 bucks more and go with a different company then going with BW. You cant get ahold of anybody. They make it very difficult to speak with someone and you cant even understand what they say. Do not go with this company!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Auto pay processing issues cost me late fees on more than one occasion even though all information and account was in perfect order, customer service was far from helpful and Farmers Insurance agent was very rude, I've since canceled my policy and went to another company, save yourself some aggravation and go elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

After having me take pictures of my car damage, as a result of Bristol West’s member hitting my car in my driveway, I was made to upload them on their app to get a repair. They would not send an adjuster, they just wanted to send a quick check to me and discard taking proper care of my claim. Prior to my repairs, I called the adjuster Sonia ** to ask for a car rental during my repairs, and I was referred to Enterprise as she told me they work with Bristol West. Turned out they never heard of them, and they didn’t reserve a car prior, like I had requested. They were out of economy cars on their lot, so I went to Avis and grabbed their last one. I had to pay up front and did not get fully reimbursed by them.

What infuriated me is that I had called Sonia several times prior to make sure everything would transpire smoothly and she reassured me with false information. She assured me weekends would not count in the 5 “business days” alotted towards rental coverage. She sent me a letter with my partial reimbursement, stating she would cover the weekends as a kind gesture. She also stated I am required to pay the difference in price for my economy car rental without acknowledging any of the false information she gave to me about Enterprise. Also, calls are never returned in a reasonable amount of time if at all. Beware of the business practices of this insurance group and this adjuster.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I am disgusted with this company. I cancelled my policy but they auto took the payment regardless. I was told the refund would get to me within 10 days. The payment will not be here until the 1st of Feb though they sent it on the 23rd.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

BW client wrong way driver totaled my son’s car. 100% at fault. We have had to fight every step of the way. Car totaled and they shoved settlement down our throats before even get all vital information. I’ve been accused of being confrontational, emotional and threatened to be hung up on. Stay strong. They don’t return emails, calls and lie about trying to contact you. Get everything in writing! Even when they don’t respond, send a follow up email with recap of phone call. Ask for supervisors. Do your research. Look at every line of every document. Good luck fellow victims!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I started with this company through an agent just in 2018 (October). The quote was for 160$ monthly full coverage for a 2014 Chevy Cruze. I've never had a ticket, accident, or any other fines etc. Also I was supposed to have gotten a bunch of discounts. Plus I'm a female that's 39 who got her licence when I was 16. So anyway, I said yes to the 160$ quote.

I've been recently looking at my bank balance because it seems I'm missing money. So I go back and this company has been taking 222.00 out of my account MONTHLY WITHOUT ANY PERMISSION OR NOTIFICATION. So I call the insurance agent and they gave him some lame story that the 160 was a quote for an older car. Well he knows it's bull and told me while I was at the bank on speaker phone as I was filling out a fraud report. So this company is not getting away with my money. They drafted the payments on different days of the month sometimes before and sometimes after the agreed upon date. The amount changed by a dollar and some cents month to month so I highly doubt that they are going to pass this fraud report.

Hopefully this review helps others. If you have insurance with this company and they are screwing you, go to the bank, fill out a fraud report stating what you were told the amount would be and what they are taking. Also if the quote goes up, they have to notify you either by mail or email and get the okay from you before they can just up the amount they take out of the bank. Just stay far away from this company. It will save you many headaches. I had to open a new account because I had to put a fraud alert on the new one.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Bristol West is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with, they are extremely rude and unprofessional. They refuse to answer questions, respond to emails, or return phone calls, they have hung up on me and threatened me. They have been sitting on my claim now for almost 2 months with basically zero contact with me other than trying 3 times to send a tow truck to take my vehicle when the claim has not been settled. My advice to anyone and everyone thinking of using this company is to RUN FAR AND RUN FAST!!! PS. If I could leave a rating below 1 star I would.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Worst company ever. Was with them for years. Never received any documents. Every call was told I'd get my ID cards. Never got them. They day I got into an accident, guess what now suspended due to no insurance. Are you kidding me. These SCAMMERS been taking my money for years, now I have no vehicle, no drivers license. Thank God I got my life to report on these scammers. They like to call you liars, put you on hold 20 mins for them to get a supervisor. When in all reality they've been rehearsing the exact thing they said to you with their family member. When you get someone with an accent you can barely understand, makes you think that maybe the 412 SCAM from Nigeria, hasn't made it in another route called scamming insurance. Don't be fooled. BTW we've had no luck locating the physical address for this insurance company. Must be why I never got insurance cards.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE EVER TRYING TO GET PROOF OF TOTAL LOSS FOR A PROSPECTIVE CLIENT. THEY HUNG UP ON ME three times while transferring or otherwise would put me on hold for 15-20 mins at a time.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have been selling cars for 26 years. I always contact the insurance company for my clients to make sure VIN numbers and such are correct. I recently had a client who uses Bristol West for his auto insurance. From start to finish...4 calls and about 30 min with client, this was the worst experience, bar none, I have ever had. If customer service is important to you, stay clear of this company.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I was involved in accident which their client. An insurance adjuster contacted me and told me to submit an estimate of the damage done to my 92 Silverado and in two weeks later they contact me and tell me that there insured motorist claim that I ran the red light and was at fault for the accident and tried to do and are trying to make me pay $5,000 to my dollars damages to his vehicle but he was at fault. Approach the intersection that I was sitting at waiting to make a left hand turn at a high rate of speed and attempted to turn right. Lost control and hit me in my driver side door.

I don't know how the police report gives him the idea that I was at fault because I was not ticketed for running a red light or failure to yield to the right away or none of that and he'd try to drive away from the accident so I don't understand how they come about this but I'm trying to find an attorney that will charge him with fraud and get me the money they owe me for my truck damages cuz I had to lose a truck mechanic it wouldn't pay me for it. Couldn't fiction could drive it around damaged so it's been long enough. Now the truck is gone and I can't find an attorney to do what they should do. This accident happened in Anderson California at highway 273 and Alexander road and I had two witnesses but because Brittany ** or Randy ** whatever her name was could not get a call from my witnesses or could not contact my witnesses she still going with her Friday night client saying I was at fault.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information