Find a Car Insurance partner

Help me decide

1.2/5 (239 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West is a member of Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. It offers standard coverage, as well as optional, personalized add-on services. The company focuses particularly on affordable insurance options for high-risk drivers and offers 24/7 online policy access.

Pros

• Medical care coverage up to $10,000
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • Affordable

Cons

• Policy info not available online
  • Not ideal for low-risk drivers

Bottom Line

Bristol West is part of Farmers Insurance Group and offers competitive rates for standard auto policies. It specializes in insuring high-risk drivers and those with poor credit, but it may not be the best option for low-risk drivers.

Top Bristol West Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... I had a great experience with them. I talked to the rep on Monday after accident late Friday and had rental car that same day for 11 days. The vehicle was totalled and I had a...

Verified

This is a great company. I have been using them for years and have not had the slightest problem. I had an accident and the company paid out without having to fight them for it! T...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Bristol West?

Bristol West is an insurer that provides affordable auto coverage to a wide range of drivers, including those with low credit or poor driving history (e.g., DUIs or multiple traffic violations). The company is available in 42 states and offers a wide range of services, such as 24/7 policy info on its mobile app and flexible payment options. It also provides online claims processing and bill payment.

Bristol West insurance coverage

Bristol West offers a variety of standard plans and benefits, including liability, comprehensive and collision coverage, as well as uninsured motorist, bodily injury, property damage and rental reimbursement insurance. You can also add medical coverage up to $10,000, towing and roadside service and trailer physical damage coverage. Bristol West’s rideshare coverage insures drivers for Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare companies.

Bristol West insurance quotes and costs

Bristol West offers several plans at varying rates to accommodate your coverage and service needs. It gives discounts for automatic payments, paperless billing, safe driving and multipolicy enrollment and provides flexible billing and payment plan options. Bristol West also has a user-friendly mobile app and offers text reminders for bill pay.

Bristol West FAQ

Who owns Bristol West?
Farmers Insurance Group owns Bristol West. Farmers Insurance Group is a well known insurer with over 48,000 exclusive and independent agencies in the U.S.
Does Bristol West offer services in Spanish?
Yes, Bristol West does offer services in Spanish. Call its customer support line to get help in Spanish.
Where is Bristol West available?
Bristol West is available in 42 states throughout the country.

Is Bristol West a good insurance company?

Bristol West offers competitive rates for high-risk drivers and those with poor credit. It provides comprehensive and collision coverage as well as roadside assistance and liability insurance. Policyholders can also add rideshare, medical, rental reimbursement, uninsured motorist, bodily injury or permissive user coverage. Its online claims, flexible bill pay, paperless billing, text alerts and mobile app make it convenient, but it might not be the best option for low-risk drivers.

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I was hit by a car that their company insures and they have refused to respond to messages from my insurance company nor my messages. I am going to be out of pocket money when the driver of their insured vehicle ran a light and got a citation from law enforcement. Extremely unprofessional to just ghost a claim that has been filed.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

Bristol West Insurance employs liars and thieves. I cancelled my policy after they raised my rate and they charged me for another month. I did everything I was supposed to including sending proof of the new insurance. I sent so many emails and made unanswered phone calls. I was so annoyed with them and after not hearing from them for a year, they sent the amount to collections. I just paid it because I'm done trying to communicate with this nightmare company. Just a warning to others to save yourself the misery.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I know this is the worst insurance ever but you have to see my situation and it's a bless find this insurance for short term... I live in New York. I decide get a new insurance because the insurance in this city is OMG. After the car accident in Queens my insurance N.... W.... Didn't recognize my car accident because my deductible was 5k so I decide to cancel them, I try to buy a new 1 but all insurance quotes gave me a over 1.5k per month even if the accident wasn't my fault, so my mom told me get the insurance in Jersey where she live so before I found this insurance I checked in Google all insurance companies.

So I call my last option Farmers. So when I call them, the representative told me by my bad credit record and my NYS license is dirty since the accident all insurance give me a higher price she told this insurance Bristol West give me the option to get my new plates and I can drive until I get my new driver's license from New Jersey and get there my new insurance. I have to pay for this one so I decided with a close eye get it, because otherwise I can't drive and go work early. I took this 1 but all off you have to see, I don't judge if it good or not but thanks this insurance I can drive now, until I get my new license and also I have a new plates from DMV so by 1 way you guys say it bad but for me is a glory because I paid less and save some money and I keep my car but with plates from other state of USA ... So take this insurance for something temporary and emergency if you want to keep it that your fault not the insurance...

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

This is the worst company! My license has been suspended 3 times my daughters car almost repoed 2 times because they never report your renewal. And when you call them to fix it they don’t! I lost a great job due to a suspended license on my background check! They are horrible!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

This company does not respond to accident claims. Reached out online, by phone, by text and email repeatedly. Absolutely no response. Don't buy insurance here. My car was hit by one of their insureds. Had all the insurance information was referred to a representative. Only one representative is allowed to respond, no one else in the company is allowed to speak to inquiries. The operator said the person would call me right away. I have called repeatedly, texted and emailed. Called the representative and the corporate office. Absolutely no response. Upon researching this company Better Business Bureau has given it an F rating.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Stay away!! Bristol West is horrible!! Probably the worst company out there. Been with them for years and NEVER had a good experience with them. If they weren't the cheapest around, I'd definitely be with someone else! You suck B.W.!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Changed insurance companies because Bristol West was dbl the rate as everyone else. Paying 250 for 1 car that was driven less than 1000 in 1 year due to Covid. Canceled them. Now owe almost $ 200 for 13 days or collections.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

We should have seen the issues coming when we were receiving our policy quote. My wife found this company and said when she spoke to the agent, he seemed nice and knowledgeable. I told her to get a quote so we could compare it to the others we received. With the quote, our situation is a little complicated as we have 2 houses and 4 vehicles, but the agent told us we could split the policies and it wouldn't be an issue. We explained which vehicles were at which houses and confirmed it with him to ensure that we did not need to make any changes. When we received the quote, the price was better than the others we received and it was a Farmers company, so we decided to purchase through them.

We received the documents online and noticed that one of the vehicles did not show up on the contract. Our agent stated that the system will screw up with multiple vehicles and miss pages at times. This was clue number 1. The total was correct and he stated they would send the corrected documents out when everything was completed. We esigned the application and made the down payment.

When we received our bill, it was about $50 higher than the quote. We called the agent (which took multiple calls to get ahold of him) and he said he would investigate and get back to us that day or the next. 2 days later, with no return call, we called him back. He answered and stated he was working on the issue with the underwriter to find out what the change was. He stated he would call us back by the end of that day. 2 days after that, with no call back again, we called him and he said he was still waiting for his underwriter.

After another 3 days, we cancelled the insurance and went with another provider. Unfortunately, we did not cancel in time to stop the payment from coming out of our account. I contacted the main company for information on the refund amount. When they gave me the amount, it was about $65 less than what it should have been. I contacted the main company and they told me immediately that they had change the garaging zip code for the vehicle and that change increased the policy. Mind you, we went over where everything was several times to make sure it was correct. I even checked the applications, which I went over thoroughly, and it had the correct garaging information. They told me there was nothing they could do about it and the refund would not change.

I currently have a complaint working with the Farmers district office. When I spoke with one of their office staff, they gave me a different reason for the increase and stated that the agent had completely left one of our cars off of the policy (which was the reason it did not show on the application as mentioned before). Apparently the agent added it later without informing us of the change. So either it was not included to show a lower rate and fraudulently added later after we agreed to switch, or the agent was just inept and did not know how to enter the information into the system. Either way, it was a major screw up on his part. We are currently waiting for resolution.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Due to illness I didn't drive for over six months and had my car parked therefore I canceled my insurance for that time not knowing I would be punished and have to pay higher insurance when I reinsured the vehicle. The Company Geico assigned me was Bristol West. Each month they took more out of my account and the sixth month I added a used vehicle I had purchased but they wouldn't give me a quote over the phone. Two weeks later I got a bill for $389.83 for one month of insurance for two cars and I have a perfect driving record. This is for a 2003 and 2013 vehicle. I Immediately canceled them and Farm Bureau insured the same vehicles for me at $82 a month. This Company is definitely a rip off. After I canceled, they would not tell me how much I owed to close out the account so at this point I'm waiting for more bad news. Their associates spoke broken English and were difficult to understand.

Original review: July 29, 2021

The quote given which was paid upfront wasn’t the rate applied to my policy. Deceptive means were used to raise my rates by requesting documents be submitted online that could not be completed or uploaded with the consequence of raising my rates if I didn't return them. Was told the quote given was based on a discount in being a homeowner when I clearly stated my current type of residence in the application process. Rate was also increased in saying I didn’t remit an EFT agreement even though I did sign and return it to them. Took much effort to straighten it all out but Then had the gall to add a late charge to my balance due. Totally Regret paying for a 6 month contract.

In not wishing to continue service with BW, I did not pay the renewal premium. However I was unknowingly and automatically charged an NSF fee of $30 even though my policy was subsequently cancelled for nonpayment as per my intention. I moved on and gave no further attention to their contacts - until I received a collection notice for the delinquent $30 payment which has affected my credit score. Had no recourse in their underhanded manipulation of payment processing as the fee is included in the fine print of that stupid EFT agreement they first claimed I hadn’t remitted. Very poor customer service with devious intent to get money any way possible.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information