Find a Car Insurance partner

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

1.2/5 (232 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West is a member of Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. It offers standard coverage, as well as optional, personalized add-on services. The company focuses particularly on affordable insurance options for high-risk drivers and offers 24/7 online policy access.

Pros

• Medical care coverage up to $10,000
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • Affordable

Cons

• Policy info not available online
  • Not ideal for low-risk drivers

Bottom Line

Bristol West is part of Farmers Insurance Group and offers competitive rates for standard auto policies. It specializes in insuring high-risk drivers and those with poor credit, but it may not be the best option for low-risk drivers.

Top Bristol West Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... I had a great experience with them. I talked to the rep on Monday after accident late Friday and had rental car that same day for 11 days. The vehicle was totalled and I had a...

Verified

This is a great company. I have been using them for years and have not had the slightest problem. I had an accident and the company paid out without having to fight them for it! T...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Bristol West?

Bristol West is an insurer that provides affordable auto coverage to a wide range of drivers, including those with low credit or poor driving history (e.g., DUIs or multiple traffic violations). The company is available in 42 states and offers a wide range of services, such as 24/7 policy info on its mobile app and flexible payment options. It also provides online claims processing and bill payment.

Bristol West insurance coverage

Bristol West offers a variety of standard plans and benefits, including liability, comprehensive and collision coverage, as well as uninsured motorist, bodily injury, property damage and rental reimbursement insurance. You can also add medical coverage up to $10,000, towing and roadside service and trailer physical damage coverage. Bristol West’s rideshare coverage insures drivers for Uber, Lyft, and other rideshare companies.

Bristol West insurance quotes and costs

Bristol West offers several plans at varying rates to accommodate your coverage and service needs. It gives discounts for automatic payments, paperless billing, safe driving and multipolicy enrollment and provides flexible billing and payment plan options. Bristol West also has a user-friendly mobile app and offers text reminders for bill pay.

Bristol West FAQ

Who owns Bristol West?
Farmers Insurance Group owns Bristol West. Farmers Insurance Group is a well known insurer with over 48,000 exclusive and independent agencies in the U.S.
Does Bristol West offer services in Spanish?
Yes, Bristol West does offer services in Spanish. Call its customer support line to get help in Spanish.
Where is Bristol West available?
Bristol West is available in 42 states throughout the country.

Is Bristol West a good insurance company?

Bristol West offers competitive rates for high-risk drivers and those with poor credit. It provides comprehensive and collision coverage as well as roadside assistance and liability insurance. Policyholders can also add rideshare, medical, rental reimbursement, uninsured motorist, bodily injury or permissive user coverage. Its online claims, flexible bill pay, paperless billing, text alerts and mobile app make it convenient, but it might not be the best option for low-risk drivers.

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

We should have seen the issues coming when we were receiving our policy quote. My wife found this company and said when she spoke to the agent, he seemed nice and knowledgeable. I told her to get a quote so we could compare it to the others we received. With the quote, our situation is a little complicated as we have 2 houses and 4 vehicles, but the agent told us we could split the policies and it wouldn't be an issue. We explained which vehicles were at which houses and confirmed it with him to ensure that we did not need to make any changes. When we received the quote, the price was better than the others we received and it was a Farmers company, so we decided to purchase through them.

We received the documents online and noticed that one of the vehicles did not show up on the contract. Our agent stated that the system will screw up with multiple vehicles and miss pages at times. This was clue number 1. The total was correct and he stated they would send the corrected documents out when everything was completed. We esigned the application and made the down payment.

When we received our bill, it was about $50 higher than the quote. We called the agent (which took multiple calls to get ahold of him) and he said he would investigate and get back to us that day or the next. 2 days later, with no return call, we called him back. He answered and stated he was working on the issue with the underwriter to find out what the change was. He stated he would call us back by the end of that day. 2 days after that, with no call back again, we called him and he said he was still waiting for his underwriter.

After another 3 days, we cancelled the insurance and went with another provider. Unfortunately, we did not cancel in time to stop the payment from coming out of our account. I contacted the main company for information on the refund amount. When they gave me the amount, it was about $65 less than what it should have been. I contacted the main company and they told me immediately that they had change the garaging zip code for the vehicle and that change increased the policy. Mind you, we went over where everything was several times to make sure it was correct. I even checked the applications, which I went over thoroughly, and it had the correct garaging information. They told me there was nothing they could do about it and the refund would not change.

I currently have a complaint working with the Farmers district office. When I spoke with one of their office staff, they gave me a different reason for the increase and stated that the agent had completely left one of our cars off of the policy (which was the reason it did not show on the application as mentioned before). Apparently the agent added it later without informing us of the change. So either it was not included to show a lower rate and fraudulently added later after we agreed to switch, or the agent was just inept and did not know how to enter the information into the system. Either way, it was a major screw up on his part. We are currently waiting for resolution.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Due to illness I didn't drive for over six months and had my car parked therefore I canceled my insurance for that time not knowing I would be punished and have to pay higher insurance when I reinsured the vehicle. The Company Geico assigned me was Bristol West. Each month they took more out of my account and the sixth month I added a used vehicle I had purchased but they wouldn't give me a quote over the phone. Two weeks later I got a bill for $389.83 for one month of insurance for two cars and I have a perfect driving record. This is for a 2003 and 2013 vehicle. I Immediately canceled them and Farm Bureau insured the same vehicles for me at $82 a month. This Company is definitely a rip off. After I canceled, they would not tell me how much I owed to close out the account so at this point I'm waiting for more bad news. Their associates spoke broken English and were difficult to understand.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

The quote given which was paid upfront wasn’t the rate applied to my policy. Deceptive means were used to raise my rates by requesting documents be submitted online that could not be completed or uploaded with the consequence of raising my rates if I didn't return them. Was told the quote given was based on a discount in being a homeowner when I clearly stated my current type of residence in the application process. Rate was also increased in saying I didn’t remit an EFT agreement even though I did sign and return it to them. Took much effort to straighten it all out but Then had the gall to add a late charge to my balance due. Totally Regret paying for a 6 month contract.

In not wishing to continue service with BW, I did not pay the renewal premium. However I was unknowingly and automatically charged an NSF fee of $30 even though my policy was subsequently cancelled for nonpayment as per my intention. I moved on and gave no further attention to their contacts - until I received a collection notice for the delinquent $30 payment which has affected my credit score. Had no recourse in their underhanded manipulation of payment processing as the fee is included in the fine print of that stupid EFT agreement they first claimed I hadn’t remitted. Very poor customer service with devious intent to get money any way possible.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I had went with Bristol west because my ex wife dropped me. From Farmers insurance without telling me and my insurance lapsed even though I was previously with farmers insurance they wouldn’t write me a policy for farmers because they said my insurance had lapsed. The policy for Bristol west was crazy expensive. What gets me is they wouldn’t let me have farmers auto insurance but could write me a policy for renters insurance thru farmers. After six months they sent me a renewal which I had told them I wanted to cancel because it was too expensive! Well I got new insurance and a new debit card but somehow they charged my account. They didn’t cancel and I told Wesley ** from Moore that I didn’t want to renew. Well they got my money anyways with a unauthorized debit from my account.

When I called Bristol west told me the policy was not canceled and that I couldn’t even cancel my farmers rental insurance thru them. That I had to call farmers. Well long story short they took over $300 from my account and only refunded $150. I wouldn’t recommend this insurance to anyone. They suck. ** insurance and ** customer service.

Original review: March 16, 2021

One of their policy holders Karen ** - her granddaughter Kensley ** hit my Jeep when she was texting and driving. Her adjuster Paola ** did NOT return calls, emails, nothing. I left 5 messages. Then I get a letter. Said that my claim was not accepted, when I called to get a supervisor, I was denied by Paola **. Said that since I was prior military Bristol West does not pay on claims on vehicles that were owned by veterans. That is discrimination and poor business practices. I faxed/emailed all information to them 3 times, got told that they don't support the military and don't reimburse when the accident was by their insurance holders fault. If I was not military, they might have paid out.

I will be filing suit against Bristol for discrimination against military status and their holder for failure to pay when I was told by the 1st claims adjuster that once I sent all receipts and such to this accident, they would pay for the damages cause the stupid Toledo Cop is the girl's dad - and wrote accident report in her favor. Office Emery, got a emailed from the girls grandmother that said her dad is the officer that did the report - that is a conflict of interest and favoritism. The girl didn't even pay her own insurance, it was granny. Daddy the cop, and the insurance company cause I am military!?! WTF. Tell all people - that Bristol is a joke - if you have them, don't hesitate to change, cause they don't pay out on claims if they find out you are military.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have had trouble with Bristol West since day 1. The paperwork for me to sign was prepared incorrectly and it took 2 weeks and never did get corrected (I had to have my agent email me, then I printed, signed, scanned and emailed back because it was STILL wrong). The error was that they wanted me to initial that my vehicle is NOT used for rideshare, when I CLEARLY told them I am a Doordash driver and other gig worker. NOW, I am having a payment issue because even though their supervisor admitted to me they made an error and drafted the wrong bank account, after several HOURS on the phone they will still not give me a credit for the NSF fee charged by my bank. I told them today that I am DONE and I am only staying with them because I don't have the money to go anywhere else right now, plus, after 4 more months I will be eligible to transfer to Farmers, which is a better company anyway.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

After trying to cancel my policy (several times) for a car I no longer owned; Bristol West was still taking an automatic debit from my checking account. I had to get my bank to stop payments to get Bristol West to stop billing me for a car I had donated many months before. After my bank did an investigation, they refunded the automatic deductions to my account. Thank heavens because we are speaking hundreds of dollars. Note the word 'investigation' - so this is not just my say so - and yet - Bristol West sent my information to a collection agency for that same money that they wrongfully took!!! I can't get rid of these people!! DO NOT SIGN UP FOR AUTOMATIC PAYMENT!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Published review 12/4/20. This insurance company wanted to charge me over $300 for one vehicle. I agreed because at the time it was the cheapest option I could find. I’ve been a customer for 3 years. From the month of August this year I look at my account and my went up to $500!!! I called in and asked why? They said that my wife on the account had 2 claims. My wife has a perfect driving record. I called in Lexis Nexis and had proof that she had no claims. They said that they couldn’t do anything for that month and wanted a $500 payment for the month of August. I cancelled with them and spoke with James (the owner for Bristol West in my area) and had 2 other representatives tell me that we owed nothing 4 different times! So I was okay with this because I didn’t want to pay a bill that big.

3 months down the road I get a letter in the mail saying that we had a $300 payment. I was outraged and tried to call them. They were impossible to reach. I finally got ahold of them and tried to get it figured out and they said that they sent emails, letters, etc. stating the notice for a an outstanding balance. My wife and I haven’t received one thing!!! I received a letter actually from collections. The company would not waive that and needed a full payment. After all of this bull **, my wife and I switched to State Farm insurance. For full coverage on our 2014 Honda CR-V and liability on my truck, we now pay $180 for both. Bristol West is such a rip off and such a scam. Do not, I repeat do not get insurance with this company. And please do your research on insurance companies.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I sent in a cancellation request and it took 2 weeks to process it and they kept telling me I was missing things every time I sent it in, now since it’s processed they’re telling me in an additional 2 more weeks to get a refund back! It’s been over a month since I sent in my cancellation request and I still nothing. The wait time for agent is about 5-10 minutes every time you call and people who work there don’t know what they are doing!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

After canceling with this company I still got charged two more months on my credit card as a recurring charge the total amount was now $727. I contacted the company. They stated that was a mistake on their end and that I would get reimbursed within 5 to 10 business days. It has now been over 3 weeks and my money is not back on my account. I have been calling the agent. She says she has no clue what is going on but there's no update. I've been calling the company directly and they just transfer me over and over to different departments. I can get an answer of where is my money. It's ridiculous. This is the worst company I have dealt with.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information