Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
1.18/5

Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West Insurance offers multiple auto insurance coverage options to customers in all 50 states. Bristol isn't part of the InsuraMatch program that powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch to get your personalized quotes from all their verified partners.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

Bristol West Insurance is a member of the Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the United States. Reviewers say the claims process is fast and efficient. Bristol West offers standard and optional coverages with personalized service and specializes in insurance options for high-risk drivers.

PROS

• Low down payment options
  • Product sold by local agents and brokers
  • Standard, comprehensive and optional coverage options
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • SR-22 or FR-44 options available

CONS

• A few customers reported unexpected price increases
  • Some customers experienced a delay while getting a quote

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

177 Bristol West Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Auto pay processing issues cost me late fees on more than one occasion even though all information and account was in perfect order, customer service was far from helpful and Farmers Insurance agent was very rude, I've since canceled my policy and went to another company, save yourself some aggravation and go elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

After having me take pictures of my car damage, as a result of Bristol West’s member hitting my car in my driveway, I was made to upload them on their app to get a repair. They would not send an adjuster, they just wanted to send a quick check to me and discard taking proper care of my claim. Prior to my repairs, I called the adjuster Sonia ** to ask for a car rental during my repairs, and I was referred to Enterprise as she told me they work with Bristol West. Turned out they never heard of them, and they didn’t reserve a car prior, like I had requested. They were out of economy cars on their lot, so I went to Avis and grabbed their last one. I had to pay up front and did not get fully reimbursed by them.

What infuriated me is that I had called Sonia several times prior to make sure everything would transpire smoothly and she reassured me with false information. She assured me weekends would not count in the 5 “business days” alotted towards rental coverage. She sent me a letter with my partial reimbursement, stating she would cover the weekends as a kind gesture. She also stated I am required to pay the difference in price for my economy car rental without acknowledging any of the false information she gave to me about Enterprise. Also, calls are never returned in a reasonable amount of time if at all. Beware of the business practices of this insurance group and this adjuster.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I am disgusted with this company. I cancelled my policy but they auto took the payment regardless. I was told the refund would get to me within 10 days. The payment will not be here until the 1st of Feb though they sent it on the 23rd.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

BW client wrong way driver totaled my son’s car. 100% at fault. We have had to fight every step of the way. Car totaled and they shoved settlement down our throats before even get all vital information. I’ve been accused of being confrontational, emotional and threatened to be hung up on. Stay strong. They don’t return emails, calls and lie about trying to contact you. Get everything in writing! Even when they don’t respond, send a follow up email with recap of phone call. Ask for supervisors. Do your research. Look at every line of every document. Good luck fellow victims!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I started with this company through an agent just in 2018 (October). The quote was for 160$ monthly full coverage for a 2014 Chevy Cruze. I've never had a ticket, accident, or any other fines etc. Also I was supposed to have gotten a bunch of discounts. Plus I'm a female that's 39 who got her licence when I was 16. So anyway, I said yes to the 160$ quote.

I've been recently looking at my bank balance because it seems I'm missing money. So I go back and this company has been taking 222.00 out of my account MONTHLY WITHOUT ANY PERMISSION OR NOTIFICATION. So I call the insurance agent and they gave him some lame story that the 160 was a quote for an older car. Well he knows it's bull and told me while I was at the bank on speaker phone as I was filling out a fraud report. So this company is not getting away with my money. They drafted the payments on different days of the month sometimes before and sometimes after the agreed upon date. The amount changed by a dollar and some cents month to month so I highly doubt that they are going to pass this fraud report.

Hopefully this review helps others. If you have insurance with this company and they are screwing you, go to the bank, fill out a fraud report stating what you were told the amount would be and what they are taking. Also if the quote goes up, they have to notify you either by mail or email and get the okay from you before they can just up the amount they take out of the bank. Just stay far away from this company. It will save you many headaches. I had to open a new account because I had to put a fraud alert on the new one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Bristol West is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with, they are extremely rude and unprofessional. They refuse to answer questions, respond to emails, or return phone calls, they have hung up on me and threatened me. They have been sitting on my claim now for almost 2 months with basically zero contact with me other than trying 3 times to send a tow truck to take my vehicle when the claim has not been settled. My advice to anyone and everyone thinking of using this company is to RUN FAR AND RUN FAST!!! PS. If I could leave a rating below 1 star I would.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Worst company ever. Was with them for years. Never received any documents. Every call was told I'd get my ID cards. Never got them. They day I got into an accident, guess what now suspended due to no insurance. Are you kidding me. These SCAMMERS been taking my money for years, now I have no vehicle, no drivers license. Thank God I got my life to report on these scammers. They like to call you liars, put you on hold 20 mins for them to get a supervisor. When in all reality they've been rehearsing the exact thing they said to you with their family member. When you get someone with an accent you can barely understand, makes you think that maybe the 412 SCAM from Nigeria, hasn't made it in another route called scamming insurance. Don't be fooled. BTW we've had no luck locating the physical address for this insurance company. Must be why I never got insurance cards.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE EVER TRYING TO GET PROOF OF TOTAL LOSS FOR A PROSPECTIVE CLIENT. THEY HUNG UP ON ME three times while transferring or otherwise would put me on hold for 15-20 mins at a time.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have been selling cars for 26 years. I always contact the insurance company for my clients to make sure VIN numbers and such are correct. I recently had a client who uses Bristol West for his auto insurance. From start to finish...4 calls and about 30 min with client, this was the worst experience, bar none, I have ever had. If customer service is important to you, stay clear of this company.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I was involved in accident which their client. An insurance adjuster contacted me and told me to submit an estimate of the damage done to my 92 Silverado and in two weeks later they contact me and tell me that there insured motorist claim that I ran the red light and was at fault for the accident and tried to do and are trying to make me pay $5,000 to my dollars damages to his vehicle but he was at fault. Approach the intersection that I was sitting at waiting to make a left hand turn at a high rate of speed and attempted to turn right. Lost control and hit me in my driver side door.

I don't know how the police report gives him the idea that I was at fault because I was not ticketed for running a red light or failure to yield to the right away or none of that and he'd try to drive away from the accident so I don't understand how they come about this but I'm trying to find an attorney that will charge him with fraud and get me the money they owe me for my truck damages cuz I had to lose a truck mechanic it wouldn't pay me for it. Couldn't fiction could drive it around damaged so it's been long enough. Now the truck is gone and I can't find an attorney to do what they should do. This accident happened in Anderson California at highway 273 and Alexander road and I had two witnesses but because Brittany ** or Randy ** whatever her name was could not get a call from my witnesses or could not contact my witnesses she still going with her Friday night client saying I was at fault.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Universally expensive prices contracts. Even more, they suggested a more expensive car insurance contract payment than the contract before 6 months. They don't care about if I got a driver's license. They even made an auto payment without my agree. I was very upset. I almost thought to call the police.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

This company screwed me over so bad. They canceled my insurance because they said my payment was returned from my bank which was a LIE. The truth is they never sent the payment through my bank! Then doubled payment.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I'm not trying to give a sob story, but I lost both my parents 3 months apart then lost my job. I fell on hard times and asked Bristol West to please work with me and told them I could send them all of the proof of my hardship. They told me flat out no. They won't work with me. I explained if I lose my car insurance I lose my car then it just snowballs into losing my new job and house and so forth. They did not care. This company will not work with you if you live in the state of Texas. So be very careful with this company. They do not care about their customers in any way. I wouldn't have even given them a one star but I had to. It wouldn't let me give a zero...

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I was involved in an accident with a Bristol West customer who admitted fault which was documented in the police report and was also given several citations from the police. One of which was driving with a suspended license. Getting them to pay for the repairs has been terrible. I submitted all the required documentation including police report and I"m still driving a damaged vehicle two weeks later. They claimed they mailed out a check for their estimate of the cost of the repair plus $100 for car rental. What a joke. Totally unprofessional. I'm surprised Farmers is associated with them. I'm considering getting an attorney and the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

If you are in an accident with your vehicle and insured with Bristol West Insurance do not I repeat do not send in any pictures you may have obtained from the accident. If you do say you have pictures they tell you to send it to their docs email site for review but they don't tell you they immediately start evaluating what your claim is worth. Next thing you know is they have a quick settlement quote and if your vehicle has major damage they are too quick to rush to judgment in most cases call it a loss giving you less. They put you in a catch 22 position, first they tell you don't send your vehicle to a collision center for an expert evaluation because storage fees are too expensive and will ask you to send your vehicle to their storage yard and just sit there for long delays between a settlement amount.

First of all you are entitled to an expert collision evaluation. They will go as far as telling you a collision center evaluation is not credible or accurate. You would expect the insurance adjuster and the claims dept head person to be on the same page. Well they are but they don't act like it. Instead play the dumb card with you all the while purposely trying to confuse you so you'll settle for less than what you're entitled to, and if they suspect you're an intelligent person and call them on their B.S they get very mad at you.

I was told they had no insurance field adjusters they could send out to my residence. You would think a large company like this they would have at least one to send out. This is their B.S story to further cement in not giving you or fixing your vehicle. In most cases they call it a total loss instead of fixing your vehicle. This has been my experience with them thus far. I will report back and let you all know the final outcome.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have been going back in forth with Bristol West in regards to my loss of discounts. A rep with Farmers Insurance signed me up with the policy with Bristol West Back in August. I was given no information as to how the auto insurance discount was applied. I was told as long as I had previous insurance my outstanding balance would be $90 a month. When October came I received a letter from Bristol stating I lost my discount due not providing proof of insurance. I then paid the higher amount for the month of November and sent in my proof of insurance.

When I signed up for the policy I was not aware that you could not have laps on your insurance. Bristol West again denied me my discount because I had lapse of coverage from my insurance for about four days. I was told by one of their previous reps that it's okay as long as you had prior coverage just like what I was told when I enrolled in the policy. This misinformation caused a huge increase to my monthly premium which I was not aware of. I called Bristol West to try and shut off auto pay and cancel my policy on Nov 30. They told me I would have to pay $66 for the remaining balance from the discount. Only to find out they were wrong that it was not a shortage but rather to cover the remaining days I had insurance up until cancellation.

Sales reps need to not be desperate to close a sale. Just one small error can cause a mistake such as a major increase on the premium. I finally decided to finish the remainder of my six month policy only to find out my monthly premium went up again. I bet it's because I had shut auto pay off. Bristol West does absolutely nothing to keep their paying members happy. No one goes out of their way to correct information and do what's right. Customer service is horrible. They follow off from scripts. Bristol West only cares about themselves and not their paying members. Karma will come to those that work for this company the rest of us will move on to other insurance companies. My advise to everyone is read the fine print before you sign anything. They use the documents you signed against you to make themselves look better. Read online reviews. Be careful.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Picked up a policy for my car and truck. Everything was good for 8 months. I got a new card, and didn't update my information. No notifications at all over email until they added a late fee. Then I started getting emails every 3 days. I drove 2 months without insurance, luckily I wasn't in an accident or pulled over. You would think they would want to get a hold of you to keep making money, I guess the late fee was more of a money maker or something. No empathy at all from the agent or the manager. I just wanted the $30 waived, I'm honest and wanted to pay for the insurance that was provided. Either way this is also my fault but it makes no sense business wise. I don't even want to know what making a claim would be like! Definitely wouldn't recommend.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Bristol West increased my monthly payment by a lot and without my permission took that money from my account... then when I cancelled everything that very same day they would refund my money! The people in the farmers office have to tell me that they'll call me back. Every time I call, if they don't know anything, why are they working there??? I have no been in an accident ever and not had any tickets, I am a good driver and paid everything on time, as it was taken out of my account automatically. Bristol West will raise your fees for being a safe driver and good customer??? Then will take money from your account even if they aren't authorized!!! They also will not refund your money even if you cancel everything on the same day they take the money... They are thiefs and what they do to people should be illegal!!! Bristol West Insurance is the worst company I've ever dealt with and I'll tell everyone I know and then somehow horrible they are!!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Yep, I fell victim to this trashy insurance company too. They have always been a bit shady but when my vehicle broke down and I called to cancel the policy they charged me over 50 dollars cancellation. I already can't afford to fix my vehicle, I don't owe them anything because I'm paid through the month, yet they want to stick a knife in me and twist it. That's ok though, social media here I come. I figure if I can stop at least 100 people from signing up with them it will cost Bristol 1000x what they took from me. Have a nice day Bristol trash. ;)

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Called Bristol West 11/13/18 to cancel my car Insurance. I was told by their associate Jim that we could not cancel now by phone. It had to be 10 days before the end of the month which is Thanksgiving. Oh they are closed. But they only need 3 days to cancel the EFT withdrawal from our account. We asked to speak with a supervisor and None Were Available. All in Meetings. They were of No Help Whatsoever! So even though we will be in the middle of a move we will have to call from who knows where to cancel this policy by phone or online!! We started with Century 21 and have been moved twice to another Insurance per them!! We are not going with them Again!! Bristol West! Your customer service is Horrible and outdated. I don't want to hear someone read me a script and not be able to explain why!! You take the money and give us no service. If I could give less than 1 star I would! Thanks for Nothing!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I arranged for renewal of my policy in Sept 2018 which went into effect on Oct 23. Meanwhile, I purchased a home and it was better to bundle, so I canceled officially on Oct 24th which went into effect on Oct 25, when I closed on my home. I had the policy with Bristol West for 2 days on the renewal. I paid $126.74 for an entire month of service, only used 2 days, yet was notified by mail that I am being charged $43.50 for this.

In speaking to a Bristol West Rep she said there was a service fee. I read my contract and also consulted with my Rep at Americus and there is no cancellation or service fee in the state of CO. That said, I am within my rights to receive the full refund amount due to me, no service or cancellation fee, only 2 days= $8.18, so refund amount should be: $118.56.

I tried to submit above on website and it would not send. Also my Rep at Americus called and was not able to resolve. In addition to that I had asked to speak to a Manager after I got nowhere with the Bristol West Rep and was put on a long hold. They are making it impossible to resolve this and get my money back. Next step will be a letter from my Attorney.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I had an accident that was not my fault in Aug 2018. The other driver was insured thru Progressive and they should have been the company helping me. Their client was cited for the accident which totaled my car leaving me with no transportation. After waiting over a week and a half for them to do something. I called Bristol West and let them know that Progressive was not helping me and I had rented a car paying out of pocket to get to work. My claims adjuster was Hanns and he stepped in and took care of everything! He had me reimbursed for the rental and had the whole claim took care of quickly. I had never been in a situation to file an insurance claim and didn't know what I was supposed to do. I thank him very much for his help and professionalism.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

After the fist payment of 190.00$ went through, about 2 weeks later they raised my rates to $284 a month. These guys are out to steal your money. They say it was because of incidents on my policy but I provided them proof that it wasn't me, they lowered the entire policy by 65$ bringing the payments to $280. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Claims experience has been nothing short of a nightmare. My car was hit by a Bristol West insured driver who was insured for the state minimum. My insurance company and I find it impossible to contact the claims adjuster or his supervisor. He does not answer the phone, numerous emails were sent and not one response. It has been two months and everything they requested has been sent in and still no response. Most unprofessional company in the world. Extremely disappointing.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We had 21st insurance for 2 years and were completely happy. I could take care of everything online, easy breezy. Which makes sense BECAUSE WE LIVE IN FREAKING 2018...21st decided to stop servicing our area and we were told that we were being switched to Farmers Insurance. Which then turned into Bristol West, Part of the Farmers Insurance Group, related to 21st. So, basically we got passed off to the 3rd string team. Their website is so ridiculously basic that it looks like it was created at the same time Myspace was. You cannot even add or take away a vehicle. You have to call. And then you get bounced around for 15 minutes by the stupid automated phone service. I'm sure my kids thought I was possessed when I started yelling, "I JUST WANT TO TALK TO A REAL FREAKING HUMAN BEING!!!"

If that wasn't bad enough, I begrudgingly signed up for automatic withdrawal and I never know when they're actually going to take the money out. When I signed up, it said that I would still have to make the first payment manually, so I did. Then the next month, I went in to verify that the automatic withdrawal was a go and there was no way to verify that it was actually active. So you just kind of have to wait and see if it's going to work. So, that was a few months ago and I'm never sure if it's going to work. I have been watching the bank account all weekend waiting for this stupid payment to come out and then I get a letter today. So my payment is supposed to come out on the 18th and it didn't. Then the 19th, it still didn't come out and I started wondering what the heck? Then, something else went through and we were a few dollars short (totally my bad) and then today I went and put more money in.

Well, I get this letter that says they tried to take out the payment and it was rejected (I guess they tried to withdraw it in the 18ish hours it was short on a Sunday, 3 days after it was supposed to...), so now I have to pay the $25 fee on top of the payment within 9 days or they're cancelling my insurance. I would understand the late fee and all this jazz, EXCEPT the letter was postmarked on the 18th. That's the day the payment is supposed to come out...and on that day the money was in the bank because I was watching it like a hawk. And I have overdraft protection anyway, so I have no idea why it would have been kicked back.

I was going to call and try to figure it out and possibly yell at someone, but I don't feel like getting stuck on hold with an idiot computer program. If you are considering Bristol West for your insurance For the love of all that is holy on this earth, please, just don't. You're welcome. (For extra clarification, I NEVER leave reviews, I'm not even the type of person that sends food back when it's wrong. I just sit there and smile and eat it. And I don't have an "I'd like to speak to your manager" haircut either. This company just makes me want to pull my hair out. We will definitely be switching ASAP).

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Let’s start off by saying I was a first time shopper for insurance and I didn’t quite a bit of shopping before I signed up with an insurance company. They had the cheapest cost that I could find, but if I would have read the reviews I would NOT have gone with them. I got the insurance at the end of July my monthly payment was supposed to be $148 and some change, by September it was up to $160 (without any type of notification). It had absolutely no reason to jump in price and when I asked to speak to a supervisor they “didn’t have one available but would call you back.”

I went ahead to pay it online so I would have insurance but it had apparently jumped up to $185 for years again no reason. I ended up canceling with them and going to Farm Bureau. It’s now October and they’re trying to tell me I owe $125 for no reason and that they are going to send it to collections. I wouldn’t recommend this insurance company to my worst enemy. They have awful customer service, their staff is rude and inconsistent, and they never seem to know what they are talking about. If I could leave zero stars I would!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Working with this sorry excuse for a company has been the worst experience I've had with an "agency". I was contacted by an agent who told me because I was getting a DUI, that I needed an SR22 even though I wasn't going to be convicted for months. I was told to pay almost $300 to start up with them, then $33/mo for the DUI insurance. After months of it being automatically withdrawn from my account, I lost my card and gave them my new card for the automatic withdrawal.

After another month and a half, I was notified through email that my policy had been canceled because I hadn't been making payments with the new card, and I owed them a backpay of $38. When I called to pay it, they asked if I wanted to pay with the credit card number I gave them!!! I asked how did they have my credit card number, yet wasn't taking the payments out as usual, PLUS, why wasn't I notified? They said "...we don't know." I spend two hours on the phone with them until they finally pulled the phone call of me giving them my credit card number. BUT they then said that because it had been so long, I couldn't reinstate my account, I had to start a completely new one, including paying $260 to start over.

I talked to another representative, and he said if I went directly through sales, I didn't have to pay the start up fee, I could just pay my monthly, but I had to call back tomorrow to do so. I called back the next day, and was transferred to 2 different people at Bristol West, then to Century 21, then to Farmers, then put on hold, back to Bristol, then to Century 21 again, Farmers again (I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP, THIS WAS NUTS) just to be told I DO have to pay the start up fee no matter who I deal with. I googled them to see if anyone else was dealing with this, and after I read everyone's reviews, saw that they had been doing the same to many MANY people.

These people are scam artists. They're total liars and rip offs and will steal your money from you. DO NOT TRUST THEM. I've paid almost $1k without even (STILL) being convicted of anything, so I was basically just giving them free money. All they could say is "Sorry, that sucks. So can we start you a new policy?" What a joke. Beware.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Getting into an accident is a stressing event, but nothing will prepare you if you are insured under Bristol West aka Framers. Not only they will avoid your call but they will find all type of excuse of running from their responsibility. Bristol West representative admits he undervalue my totaled vehicle and promised to resolve the differences. After many emails and phone messages, all my requests have been ignored. Recently, I rented a U-Haul truck and got into an accident, which I hitted a parked car. Bristol West told me it is not covered because U-Haul is an commercial vehicle. Well, I look it up, even U-Haul website stated their trucks are not classified as commercial vehicle. Stay away from Bristol West like plague. Do a quick search online and you will see nothing but 1 star. I'm really amaze how such company still exists will all these complains and bad reviews.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We had never even heard of this company before... well not until we received a notice from Harrisburg that Bristol West Insurance informed them that we didn't have ANY insurance at all. My husband has used the same insurance company for over 25 years. We just received the above referenced notification stating that we needed to provide proof of new insurance or we would be facing charges and registration suspension. We never canceled the insurance (with the company we've used for years) that we had on the car since we bought it 3 years ago. This company attained our private information without our consent and we are not happy!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I was 21 Century customer and very happy with them. Then Farmers buys 21st century insurance and transfers its customers to Bristol West. The first writing on the wall should’ve been when you sent me a nasty letter saying that they sent me a quote and I never responded. And of course I never received a letter from them in the first place. The second strike was when we try to take delivery of a new car and they do not work on weekends. Third strike was when they asked me for proof that I’ve got a new vehicle, otherwise I have to do photo inspection. A week later I receive a nastygram from them saying that they never got proof of new vehicle from me. Instead of proving it to them that I sent I just went ahead and did photo inspection. I also get a receipt of inspection from the inspection place guy and watch him to personally upload to Bristol West.

The last strike was another nastygram two months later, reminding me that I never did the inspection and they will terminate coverage for that car in a week. Then I went shopping, and much to my surprise I got coverage from a reputable company (I dealt with them when their insured hit me a few years ago and I was happy with the experience). And guess what - no photo inspection needed. And better liability (twice), lower deductible (500 instead of 750) and most importantly: 1/3 less premium!

Bristol West Insurance Company Information