Bristol West Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was transferred to Bristol West from 21st Century. Very bad communication with policy and documents. Resulting in cancellation after two months. Then one month after cancelling I receive another bill for a charge for not getting my documents signed and returned in time. After they were sent way late. When I cancelled I was told my last payment paid my remaining balance up until my cancellation date at the end of the month. Then a month later I get the surprise. Read the REVIEWS for BRISTOL WEST INS. Then switch to a reputable ins, company. I switched to GEICO. Wow So much better and Cheaper.

I have been with Bristol West Insurance for years. They have never given me a hard time about anything. I've had my old car towed and they repaid for it. I've had other incidents and they've always covered it. I'm sorry that they are leaving Michigan State. Now I'm having problems trying to find another Insurance co. that gave me the great same service.

I can't recommend this company to anyone. Foremost Insurance is definitely NOT for NO ONE. BRISTOL WEST INSURANCE is what they are really under. I renewed my insurance last week for 2 vehicles. On Monday I called to remove 1 vehicle I no longer have and they started with the runaround. The 1st rep told me it was too late to stop the payment (it was the 17, I understood that) which comes out on the 19th but will distribute the credit to future 5 payments left and told me what the new payment would be before they apply the credit, which would be lowered once the credit applies. I called Thursday, new rep: New monthly payment amount was told to me before the credit, but she informed me what the new monthly would be after the credit though their website was not reflecting what was being said. She explained I would get document tonight. The latest the next day.

I received new doc information that evening. Of course, a different amount from what the 2 reps I spoke to, I call and spoke to rep which was very head strong and not trying to listen or understand what I was saying. She informed me the credit was applied and new amount reflects that: amount was higher than all the 2 and she could explain where the amount that was taken out of my account went or applied to. I ask for a supervisor. She gave me a Team Lead, that didn't know what to tell me next, each time I clarified what she was saying that was false information. This company is a rip off from they would refund me back my tow charge just submit my receipt via fax, to it was not on my policy from another rep. They put me on hold for supervisor which NEVER answered the phone. BEWARE and STAND CLEAR!

I recently bought a new 2017 Jeep and Farmers Insurance turned the policy over to Bristol West. I was in a car accident 4 weeks later, when another car hit me while backing out of a parking lot space. I got an estimate for my damage of $2433 and Bristol West filed a mini tort with Amerisure Insurance, who paid my deductible, but Bristol West made me upload pictures of damage to a third party site and made the determination that the estimate was only $1933. I have NEVER had an insurance company not honor a body shop’s estimate. Or try not to pay the full claim amount when I have full coverage on my leased vehicle. I will cancel my insurance and NEVER recommend them to anyone. I would not even give them 1 star, but I am forced to! Plus their customer service agent was rude and never returned phone calls.

I have talk to many customer representatives for Bristol West/Farmers Insurance about refund after cancellation. The difference amount for 4 days is $224. The amount per month was just over $383 per month. This makes no sense to me at all. I canceled on the 24th of May and was charge the following month $383 and some different change because they would not have been able to take out $383.40 with a stop on the amount. They change the amount so they could take money out after service disconnect. This was FRAUDULENT! The bank informed me this is how they get extra money all the time. At this time I have no refund. They can take out but take a long time to refund and the amount comes from a Disney calculator. Thank you. I hope you can help me and others with this Corporate stealing from consumers. Really did not want to give any form of a star.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

It was a very unpleasant experience with this company. Their quote is not even much of a difference from a major insurance company. Their automatic withdrawal is will constantly claim there was no funds, yet the money is in the bank. This is with the purpose of being to charge reinstatement fee. You can speak to 5 different representatives that will give you different reasons as to why they are charging you extra. The policy will increase without any legitimate reason just because "everybody's policy increased". I have finally had it with their inconsistency and lack of knowledge. Well guess what? Half way into the month they were supposed to refund the other half and just like always, even the supervisor claims that the previous month had not been paid therefore, they used the half of May they were supposed to refund to cover the part of April that supposedly had not been paid.

Out of the $180 I was supposed to receive, just got $40 because of all these surcharges to cancel! The representative was trying to give me details of all the surcharges and kept putting me on hold trying to add up to how I was only refunded $40. At $90 she couldn't come up with more and when I asked for a supervisor, she said April had not been paid fully. Only partial payment had been received from an AUTOMATIC PAYMENT method. Like seriously! What company insurance company actually reinstates your policy yet you allegedly still owe them part of the previous month. I canceled on the 11th of May, and they were still trying to charge me the entire month until they finally accepted that I had coverage with another company on the 11th so they had to grant that date as final day.

Wanna know the difference? Had I canceled the 24th of May my refund would have been 37.37 dollars. Since it was back dated to the 11th I get an extra 3 dollars back for those 13 days. 3 dollars for 13 days! And the monthly payments were for 301.21. I cannot explain the relief I feel we finally left these thief and no longer associate with such dishonest company. I strongly suggest you stay away from Bristol West Insurance - Foremost. You will regret it. I wish I had not trusted these insurance specialists. Make sure to always read the reviews. I learned my lesson the hard way.

I was moved to this company when 21 Century left Colorado. First they were more than double the price. We're in our 40's with good credit, but the price still doubled. My husband was very sick doing chemo and radiation so I just paid for 3 months because I didn't have time to shop around. A month later my husband passed away and I called to remove him from the policy. "That can't be done unless we receive a request in writing." Neither could I remove his car without proof he doesn't drive or own it anymore. WHAT?!? Also in writing. So I said "just cancel my policy. Finding a new company." Guess what... yep, in writing.

After my 3rd transfer to a supervisor (oddly, the land line keep getting disconnected. Hmmm...) I was finally told I could write the letter, take a picture of it and email that. Perfect. Got a response email the next day saying we received your request and have canceled your policy. Now remember I had already paid in full for 3 months, so 2 more to go... you'd think. I got 3 bills for the next 3 months after receiving cancellation confirmation. That was all in April. Last week I receive a refund of the unused 1 1/2 months.

Today I get a nasty letter from Lamont, Hanley &Assoc., Inc. saying I owe Bristol West $20 and that Bristol West has been EXTREMELY (the whole thing is in all caps) patient and this overdue balance deserves my immediate attention. Huh?!? A collection agency? After I get my refund? I used to work for a Farmers Insurance agent years ago and am appalled that they are affiliated with these people!!!

Bristol West is the worst insurance company in the world. Warning warning I would never recommend anybody to use them as an insurance company. They are very shady. They don't give a flying **. The adjusters are very crooked. They try to manipulate and do not want to pay for my car repairs. When it was their client's fault. The adjusters are very crooked they try to manipulate and do not want to pay for my car repairs. They have had my car for over two months and I'm really pissed off with this **. The company can just go ** themselves.

My vehicle was parked in a restaurant parking lot when it was hit by a driver insured by Bristol West. The bright side is the driver was honest and tracked me down in the restaurant and reported what happened. The bad side is, she had Bristol West. I have had nothing but headaches dealing with this company while trying to get my vehicle repaired.

First they told me that it should only take 2 days to repair and would only pay for a rental car for that amount of time. I was told that they wouldn't pay for more days just because the body shop was busy and couldn't complete the repairs in the 2 days. Secondly, I was told that they would only pay for a small car. My vehicle is a SUV and I drive one for a reason. I am battling with them over that right now. They have very poor customer service. I would not recommend Bristol West to anyone. They are horrible to deal with. I'm glad they are not my insurance company, but I still have to deal with them to get my vehicle repaired. Horrible experience...

Our car was totaled by a Bristol West customer on October 6, 2016 and the claim has not been paid and today is May 4, 2017. It is a cut and dry claim. The guy ran a red light and hit us. Krystal ** is our claims adjuster and she is a liar. As of now Krystal told the "free car lot" they shipped the car to that we are abandoning the car because we have not responded to her. I cannot get Krystal to answer her phone, emails, etc... At this point I am ready to board a flight and go talk to this ** in person because I don't know what else to do. I have been a CPA for thirty years and I have NEVER dealt with a company as bad as this. There should be an option for a zero star on this site.

I decided to file a claim towards my own policy. Because the other driver's insurance, wanted to settle less than what it cost to repair my truck. I settled with my insurance, and took the offer. And I was able to keep the truck. This is my first time retaining a vehicle. But, the issue is, The claim dept. allowed me to keep my truck but failed, and neglected to advise what I had to do in regards of retaining of my truck. I later experience some frustration when I went to DMV trying to get a new tag. These includes not able to drive my truck for a week. Communication would have been appreciated between Insurance company and the Consumer.

We had an accident with someone insured with Bristol West. The experience has been so terrible I wish I could give them zero stars. There was zero communication. They don't return calls until you start harassing them. The total loss adjuster was extremely rude. Or is, because I am sure this thing isn't over.

The current date of this review is December 12th, 2016. To start off, out of 5 stars I wouldn't even rate this insurance company a 1 out of 5. However it did not give me the option to leave a 0 out of 5 rating. Secondly I would like to state that my agent, whom I've never had the pleasure of speaking with, was Andy **, because I never received any call backs from him. Whoever worked in his office spoke with me. I am very unsatisfied with the services because I feel as I have been robbed of my money rather than insured and taken care of. My first time payment was not the same amount as discussed upon signing up. I am charged twice a month for different policies that I am lied and tricked into signing up for as a "better deal". I sign up for paperless billing and I do not receive emails or letters discussing when my payments do not process.

When the insurance does not bill me one month it rolls over and bills me twice the next month without my knowledge leaving me confused and overdraft fees. This happened multiple times. I was not informed that my policy will renew on its own, as I already spoke with one of the agent's minions and mentioned that I will not renew and proceed with the insurance. However the policy renewed and stole more of my money. I then had the money returned only to find a letter in the mail for a Notice of Rescission for Non-Payment. So I am left with an amount due towards a policy I did not authorize a renewal for.

I then called and spoke with customer service for a few hours. Nothing has been too helpful besides the gentleman on the phone that canceled one of the policies for me. Yet I still have to pay the amount due. I am very unsatisfied and do not recommend insuring with this company. I am not using my true identification leaving this review so please do not try to respond and harass the random email I used to post this review. But please readers of this review, understand this company is very unfaithful. Merry Christmas.

Bristol West Insurance is the biggest rip off. I was quoted a monthly price, by the first payment they raised it for no reason. The second payment, it raised another 22 dollars. The third payment, it was raised another 25 dollars. They sent a notice that they would be doing auto pay out of my account after I told the agent three times that I never do auto pay. Within 15 days the payment went from 193$ to 260$. Of course I cancelled and they said I would be getting 14$ refund, it should be a 60$ refund, but still no refund at all. I went through a Farmers insurance broker, they aren't any better. Disgraceful.

On October 31, 2016, I received my monthly credit card billing statement. On it was a charge from Bristol West Insurance Co., Davie Florida, in the amount of $505.00. I HAVE NEVER HAD INSURANCE thru this company. I have never spoken to an agent from this company. I have not been in Florida for about 2 years, and that was not near Davie Florida. I called my credit card company and it immediately removed this charge from my billing, without question, noting that the matter would be looked into. Anyone else out there receiving what appear to be pseudo billings?

I decided to cancel my insurance after they raised it for no reason. I sent a total of 5 cancellation emails and they never received any of them (so they say). I ended up having the broker fax it in and magically, it was received. Prior to this though, I had the payments automatically deducted from my account and was told by EVERY agent I spoke to, that once I canceled and the funds were debited, I would get a refund for the FULL amount of the payment. I also told them that I needed to get my refund check sent to a new address in a different city, and was told that would not be a problem. Well... It was a problem. I called today to check on the status of my refund check and they told me I was only receiving half of the amount not the full thing. They told me it was due to fees and the address change.

They are liars, their customer service sucks, their customer service department manager is rude, and no one was willing to work with me and refund any of the fees. I am so grateful I never got into an accident while using their insurance, because God forbid, I'd have to deal with this terrible company with a much more serious matter. I will never refer anyone to this company, or any of their affiliates. They do not care about their loyal customers (I have been with them for minimum 6 years) and I seriously hope they get their act together.

My agent switched me to this deplorable company telling me that it would save me money every month. Well, it did, but when I finally needed their help, I understood why. I ran over something and got a flat tire. I called for roadside assistance. They told me that I had to PAY UP FRONT for the roadside assistance (even though I paid for it monthly on my policy) before they would send anybody to help me. Then, I would have to get a receipt and fax them the receipt to be reimbursed. What the??? Isn't the entire purpose of having roadside assistance on your policy so that you can get roadside assistance without paying??? What if I didn't have money at the time? Well, then they don't send roadside assistance. You'll be stranded.

So, I try to cancel the roadside assistance by calling them. Nope. Can't do that unless I go speak to an agent and sign something in person or fax them something. ANY OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY WILL ALLOW YOU TO CHANGE ALMOST ANYTHING TO YOUR POLICY ONLINE!!! I finally was able to get a hold of my agent and cancelled the entire policy. Now, 3 days later, it is still showing that I have an active policy. I tried to cancel my direct debit, and again, you can't just click on something online, you have to fax them something. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! YOU WILL BE SORRY!!

Please stay away from this company, they will rip you off so bad. Your premium will go up double or triple without any good reason... Ah, they will not even take the time to call you about the changes. Customer services is terrible.

I was involved with a car accident on August 13th. The driver who hit me has Bristol West. I do not have this insurance company. The claims adjuster that I dealt with was cooperative until their insured driver continues to tell different story of events. With this being said, Bristol West denied to fix my car. During the process of dealing with their claims, the claims adjuster called and said it was Tuesday and needed to talk with me. I have been cooperative. As if I was not cooperating and was lying about facts that happened (which I was not). Also, there was a situation to where I asked by the adjuster to give an estimate and then turned around (on a another phone call) that would not be necessary. I will be reporting this to my state's insurance commission and the better business bureau. If possible, I will be requesting further legal actions.

I was up for a 6-month renewal but decided to go somewhere else. They sent me one email saying it was time for a renewal and that I needed to log on to my acct to start the process. I never did. They tried to take out $750 from my checking acct without my permission because apparently if you sign up for paperless billing they think they can do whatever they want. So I got charged $29 from my bank for insufficient funds plus my rent is going to be late so that is another $55.

I called and of course it was some ignorant passive aggressive you know what who answered the phone and didn't even say the company's name when she answered and she said like I was stupid or something that you signed up for paperless billing and we sent you an email saying it was time for a renewal. Well oh ok I guess it's my fault. Yeah right. So then she said she couldn't cancel my policy over the phone, it would have to be in writing and I said "well you could cancel it for nonpayment right??" Of course they would. Horrible company.

Essentially it's been over three months of this Bristol West Insurance Company conducting an investigation against an accident. They have not provided any sort of rental car for the last three months ever since we had full coverage. A quick look at Bristol West Insurance Company reviews will certainly inform you that they are a complete scam generating only 1 star from over 62 clients that placed a comment on there. I'm about to get my car repossessed because we can't afford the mechanical payments and pay the monthly payment. They sent a private investigator to come to my house and essentially treated me like a criminal. This gentlemen even asked to search through my phone and wanted phone records without any sort of warrant. I have been taking taxis and buses to get to my destination because I decided to partner with such a scam of a insurance company.

They obviously have no issue taking your monthly payments but if anything happened like it did they prolong the process to where you either have to forfeit the car because they are not willing to pay the amount or just pay the repair yourself. One would wonder if I have to fix my own car after an accident why would I need insurance in the first place. Believe me when I tell you look into this a bit further. I'm not the only one and we will take what happened here to every source necessary and lawyers for damages that came about because of this. Now the mechanic is upset charging a storage fee of $25/day, the bank wants to repossess the car and I'm stuck with absolutely nothing. And anytime we contact we get the same response, it's still being investigated. Why was I paying $300/M if I had to fix my car on my own anyways?

They don't care about you. They take days to get back to you. They screw you over even in writing they lie to you! I'm suing them. Does anyone want to join me? I'm taking out a class action lawsuit for neglect.

I had got liability insurance and had got crashed into after three days of having been insured. It wasn't my fault and I went through both my insurance and his. I didn't get paid since there was no witnesses. The claim adjuster Jenny was very unprofessional. Kept cutting me off in the middle of the sentence multiple times when I was asking questions. I was told by my agent and by a manager to call them and have them out. The car was completely totaled and called and try to have her add it but she kept telling me to call my agent. Passing the buck on to someone else. Very disrespectful, not helpful, and all together do not go to this insurance provider at all and if you get Jenny just expect to lose any claim and sanity you have.

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in USA. They try their best to twist around and find any reason to justify for not taking care of their responsibility. For the first time in my life, I had 3 consecutive claims with them; in one claim, they made the value of repair less than deductible in order not to pay any penny (although the injury was a lot more significant). In another claim, they totaled the car but significantly underestimated its value and in a third claim, they do not want to fix it at all. So ridiculous, I would never go or advise to go to this suboptimal company. There is a reason that some insurance companies are more popular, but this company sucks.

My father requested insurance from this company and called to CANCEL IT THE SAME DAY because I obtained insurance on my policy for him at a much better rate. He did not drive ONE SINGLE BLOCK without insurance on his car. He is 71 with a bad heart and Tawny ** was the agent in Bloomington, IN. She harassed him and told him he owed over $197 dollars up to 3 months later even after he provided her with POI repeatedly! This is the kind of thing that should put an insurance agent OUT OF BUSINESS! I ended up contacting the main office for this company myself and hopefully the issue is solved now. He should be getting a refund because they made him pay upfront 2 months and he did not keep the insurance for even ONE DAY! I won't be holding my breath.

I ran over a huge piece of tire on the freeway at night. It was dark I couldn't see the tire until I came up on it. I couldn't swerve to avoid it because there were cars in the lane next to me. It damaged the front part of my bumper on my 2016. I have been with Bristol West/Farmers for about 2-3 years maybe longer. The cost of the repair was $1,500 and I paid my $500 deductible. I get a call from my agent explaining to me that the accident was coded "at fault" so guess what!!! My premiums were going to increase about $100 more per mo! I just don't get it, I make my payments every month, I have a perfect driving record (30 years) but my premiums go up!!!

This is a rip-off and we have no choice but to carry it or suffer the consequences. The best I can do is look for insurance with another company and I promise I will never ever do business with Bristol West ever again in life. You take my payments each month with no problems but when it comes to a situation like this you have no problem screwing me. I'd rather give the money to another rip-off arts!

If I could give zero stars I would. I am completely disgusted with how my claim was handled. We paid our deductible ($500) to have a simple front bumper repair done at the shop. The first sign of trouble was when the insurance agent told us that they weren't going to pay for the entire cost of the parts because our car was an older model BMW. My husband had to speak to the manager and explain that it was never mentioned that might be a problem when we were paying our monthly payments and now that we have a claim, they were going to slip that information in. Needless to say they ended up agreeing to pay for the parts. The repair took almost a month to complete (will be writing a review on that repair shop as well).

Meanwhile, we had to use a rental because we only had the one car and our insurance covered a rental while our car was in for repair. The insurance agent assisting us was extremely hard to get a hold of and wouldn't hear from her for over a week at a time. When we returned the rental car after finally getting our car back, the rental place made us pay for the rental upfront and were told that the insurance company was to reimburse us for the rental (just shy of $1000 for a month's rental). We had to wait well over two month before we saw any money at all because of an investigation going on.

Bristol West claims that the repair shop was negligent in the time it took to do the repair but the insurance agent even admitted to me that there was negligence on their end as well so they had to "figure out what they were really responsible to pay us". Basically, me and my family were caught between an "it's your fault! No it's your fault!" fight between Bristol West and the repair shop. Meanwhile that huge charge was sitting on my credit card that was acquiring interest and costing me and my credit severely. My advice to anyone considering Bristol West as their insurance, pay a little bit more monthly for a company that actually cares about their clients. This company is a joke and a money pinching waste pit.

I was T-boned by a lady who ran a red light during a severe snow storm that had the city of Denver on accident alert, where police don't get involved in the accident other than to tell people to move their vehicles out of the traffic lanes. We both submitted claims, me to her insurance and she to mine. Both claims were denied due to lack of evidence to prove fault. Nonetheless, Bristol West deemed it proper, even though two insurance adjusters determined no fault, to point the finger at me, drop my rating to "RISK" and double my insurance premiums. I've spent the past three days on the phone with various people within the company and no one can give me a straight answer as to why this was entered as an "At-Fault Accident" when two insurance companies decided that no fault could be determined. Stay far, far away from Bristol West Insurance! They are an underhanded, dishonest company.

After a two months ordeal with this company and a signed witness statement testifying that the other person was speeding and ran a red light and caused damages to my vehicle, they actually had the bravado to deny the claim. After reviewing all the complaints online against this company, I can honestly say they are true based upon my experience with them. All I can say is beware. I will also be pursuing this matter with the state Department of Insurance. Wish I could give them minus stars.

I am a combat wounded veteran and when I signed up for their towing I never expected to get such unreliable service. I had no help over the phone with the company after they said I had to find my own towing company. I finally found one and they were horrible! I couldn't understand a thing they were saying on the phone and it took them over 2 hrs to arrive!!! I cancelled my plan and went with another provider. The fact they didn't have glass coverage made me mad but this did me in. I cancelled my wife's and my plan immediately. Horrible company!!!

Bristol West Insurance Company Profile