Bristol West Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bristol West Insurance is the biggest rip off. I was quoted a monthly price, by the first payment they raised it for no reason. The second payment, it raised another 22 dollars. The third payment, it was raised another 25 dollars. They sent a notice that they would be doing auto pay out of my account after I told the agent three times that I never do auto pay. Within 15 days the payment went from 193$ to 260$. Of course I cancelled and they said I would be getting 14$ refund, it should be a 60$ refund, but still no refund at all. I went through a Farmers insurance broker, they aren't any better. Disgraceful.

On October 31, 2016, I received my monthly credit card billing statement. On it was a charge from Bristol West Insurance Co., Davie Florida, in the amount of $505.00. I HAVE NEVER HAD INSURANCE thru this company. I have never spoken to an agent from this company. I have not been in Florida for about 2 years, and that was not near Davie Florida. I called my credit card company and it immediately removed this charge from my billing, without question, noting that the matter would be looked into. Anyone else out there receiving what appear to be pseudo billings?

I decided to cancel my insurance after they raised it for no reason. I sent a total of 5 cancellation emails and they never received any of them (so they say). I ended up having the broker fax it in and magically, it was received. Prior to this though, I had the payments automatically deducted from my account and was told by EVERY agent I spoke to, that once I canceled and the funds were debited, I would get a refund for the FULL amount of the payment. I also told them that I needed to get my refund check sent to a new address in a different city, and was told that would not be a problem. Well... It was a problem. I called today to check on the status of my refund check and they told me I was only receiving half of the amount not the full thing. They told me it was due to fees and the address change.

They are liars, their customer service sucks, their customer service department manager is rude, and no one was willing to work with me and refund any of the fees. I am so grateful I never got into an accident while using their insurance, because God forbid, I'd have to deal with this terrible company with a much more serious matter. I will never refer anyone to this company, or any of their affiliates. They do not care about their loyal customers (I have been with them for minimum 6 years) and I seriously hope they get their act together.

My agent switched me to this deplorable company telling me that it would save me money every month. Well, it did, but when I finally needed their help, I understood why. I ran over something and got a flat tire. I called for roadside assistance. They told me that I had to PAY UP FRONT for the roadside assistance (even though I paid for it monthly on my policy) before they would send anybody to help me. Then, I would have to get a receipt and fax them the receipt to be reimbursed. What the??? Isn't the entire purpose of having roadside assistance on your policy so that you can get roadside assistance without paying??? What if I didn't have money at the time? Well, then they don't send roadside assistance. You'll be stranded.

So, I try to cancel the roadside assistance by calling them. Nope. Can't do that unless I go speak to an agent and sign something in person or fax them something. ANY OTHER INSURANCE COMPANY WILL ALLOW YOU TO CHANGE ALMOST ANYTHING TO YOUR POLICY ONLINE!!! I finally was able to get a hold of my agent and cancelled the entire policy. Now, 3 days later, it is still showing that I have an active policy. I tried to cancel my direct debit, and again, you can't just click on something online, you have to fax them something. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!! YOU WILL BE SORRY!!

Please stay away from this company, they will rip you off so bad. Your premium will go up double or triple without any good reason... Ah, they will not even take the time to call you about the changes. Customer services is terrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

I was involved with a car accident on August 13th. The driver who hit me has Bristol West. I do not have this insurance company. The claims adjuster that I dealt with was cooperative until their insured driver continues to tell different story of events. With this being said, Bristol West denied to fix my car. During the process of dealing with their claims, the claims adjuster called and said it was Tuesday and needed to talk with me. I have been cooperative. As if I was not cooperating and was lying about facts that happened (which I was not). Also, there was a situation to where I asked by the adjuster to give an estimate and then turned around (on a another phone call) that would not be necessary. I will be reporting this to my state's insurance commission and the better business bureau. If possible, I will be requesting further legal actions.

I was up for a 6-month renewal but decided to go somewhere else. They sent me one email saying it was time for a renewal and that I needed to log on to my acct to start the process. I never did. They tried to take out $750 from my checking acct without my permission because apparently if you sign up for paperless billing they think they can do whatever they want. So I got charged $29 from my bank for insufficient funds plus my rent is going to be late so that is another $55.

I called and of course it was some ignorant passive aggressive you know what who answered the phone and didn't even say the company's name when she answered and she said like I was stupid or something that you signed up for paperless billing and we sent you an email saying it was time for a renewal. Well oh ok I guess it's my fault. Yeah right. So then she said she couldn't cancel my policy over the phone, it would have to be in writing and I said "well you could cancel it for nonpayment right??" Of course they would. Horrible company.

Essentially it's been over three months of this Bristol West Insurance Company conducting an investigation against an accident. They have not provided any sort of rental car for the last three months ever since we had full coverage. A quick look at Bristol West Insurance Company reviews will certainly inform you that they are a complete scam generating only 1 star from over 62 clients that placed a comment on there. I'm about to get my car repossessed because we can't afford the mechanical payments and pay the monthly payment. They sent a private investigator to come to my house and essentially treated me like a criminal. This gentlemen even asked to search through my phone and wanted phone records without any sort of warrant. I have been taking taxis and buses to get to my destination because I decided to partner with such a scam of a insurance company.

They obviously have no issue taking your monthly payments but if anything happened like it did they prolong the process to where you either have to forfeit the car because they are not willing to pay the amount or just pay the repair yourself. One would wonder if I have to fix my own car after an accident why would I need insurance in the first place. Believe me when I tell you look into this a bit further. I'm not the only one and we will take what happened here to every source necessary and lawyers for damages that came about because of this. Now the mechanic is upset charging a storage fee of $25/day, the bank wants to repossess the car and I'm stuck with absolutely nothing. And anytime we contact we get the same response, it's still being investigated. Why was I paying $300/M if I had to fix my car on my own anyways?

They don't care about you. They take days to get back to you. They screw you over even in writing they lie to you! I'm suing them. Does anyone want to join me? I'm taking out a class action lawsuit for neglect.

I had got liability insurance and had got crashed into after three days of having been insured. It wasn't my fault and I went through both my insurance and his. I didn't get paid since there was no witnesses. The claim adjuster Jenny was very unprofessional. Kept cutting me off in the middle of the sentence multiple times when I was asking questions. I was told by my agent and by a manager to call them and have them out. The car was completely totaled and called and try to have her add it but she kept telling me to call my agent. Passing the buck on to someone else. Very disrespectful, not helpful, and all together do not go to this insurance provider at all and if you get Jenny just expect to lose any claim and sanity you have.

This is the worst company I have ever dealt with in USA. They try their best to twist around and find any reason to justify for not taking care of their responsibility. For the first time in my life, I had 3 consecutive claims with them; in one claim, they made the value of repair less than deductible in order not to pay any penny (although the injury was a lot more significant). In another claim, they totaled the car but significantly underestimated its value and in a third claim, they do not want to fix it at all. So ridiculous, I would never go or advise to go to this suboptimal company. There is a reason that some insurance companies are more popular, but this company sucks.

My father requested insurance from this company and called to CANCEL IT THE SAME DAY because I obtained insurance on my policy for him at a much better rate. He did not drive ONE SINGLE BLOCK without insurance on his car. He is 71 with a bad heart and Tawny ** was the agent in Bloomington, IN. She harassed him and told him he owed over $197 dollars up to 3 months later even after he provided her with POI repeatedly! This is the kind of thing that should put an insurance agent OUT OF BUSINESS! I ended up contacting the main office for this company myself and hopefully the issue is solved now. He should be getting a refund because they made him pay upfront 2 months and he did not keep the insurance for even ONE DAY! I won't be holding my breath.

I ran over a huge piece of tire on the freeway at night. It was dark I couldn't see the tire until I came up on it. I couldn't swerve to avoid it because there were cars in the lane next to me. It damaged the front part of my bumper on my 2016. I have been with Bristol West/Farmers for about 2-3 years maybe longer. The cost of the repair was $1,500 and I paid my $500 deductible. I get a call from my agent explaining to me that the accident was coded "at fault" so guess what!!! My premiums were going to increase about $100 more per mo! I just don't get it, I make my payments every month, I have a perfect driving record (30 years) but my premiums go up!!!

This is a rip-off and we have no choice but to carry it or suffer the consequences. The best I can do is look for insurance with another company and I promise I will never ever do business with Bristol West ever again in life. You take my payments each month with no problems but when it comes to a situation like this you have no problem screwing me. I'd rather give the money to another rip-off arts!

If I could give zero stars I would. I am completely disgusted with how my claim was handled. We paid our deductible ($500) to have a simple front bumper repair done at the shop. The first sign of trouble was when the insurance agent told us that they weren't going to pay for the entire cost of the parts because our car was an older model BMW. My husband had to speak to the manager and explain that it was never mentioned that might be a problem when we were paying our monthly payments and now that we have a claim, they were going to slip that information in. Needless to say they ended up agreeing to pay for the parts. The repair took almost a month to complete (will be writing a review on that repair shop as well).

Meanwhile, we had to use a rental because we only had the one car and our insurance covered a rental while our car was in for repair. The insurance agent assisting us was extremely hard to get a hold of and wouldn't hear from her for over a week at a time. When we returned the rental car after finally getting our car back, the rental place made us pay for the rental upfront and were told that the insurance company was to reimburse us for the rental (just shy of $1000 for a month's rental). We had to wait well over two month before we saw any money at all because of an investigation going on.

Bristol West claims that the repair shop was negligent in the time it took to do the repair but the insurance agent even admitted to me that there was negligence on their end as well so they had to "figure out what they were really responsible to pay us". Basically, me and my family were caught between an "it's your fault! No it's your fault!" fight between Bristol West and the repair shop. Meanwhile that huge charge was sitting on my credit card that was acquiring interest and costing me and my credit severely. My advice to anyone considering Bristol West as their insurance, pay a little bit more monthly for a company that actually cares about their clients. This company is a joke and a money pinching waste pit.

I was T-boned by a lady who ran a red light during a severe snow storm that had the city of Denver on accident alert, where police don't get involved in the accident other than to tell people to move their vehicles out of the traffic lanes. We both submitted claims, me to her insurance and she to mine. Both claims were denied due to lack of evidence to prove fault. Nonetheless, Bristol West deemed it proper, even though two insurance adjusters determined no fault, to point the finger at me, drop my rating to "RISK" and double my insurance premiums. I've spent the past three days on the phone with various people within the company and no one can give me a straight answer as to why this was entered as an "At-Fault Accident" when two insurance companies decided that no fault could be determined. Stay far, far away from Bristol West Insurance! They are an underhanded, dishonest company.

After a two months ordeal with this company and a signed witness statement testifying that the other person was speeding and ran a red light and caused damages to my vehicle, they actually had the bravado to deny the claim. After reviewing all the complaints online against this company, I can honestly say they are true based upon my experience with them. All I can say is beware. I will also be pursuing this matter with the state Department of Insurance. Wish I could give them minus stars.

I am a combat wounded veteran and when I signed up for their towing I never expected to get such unreliable service. I had no help over the phone with the company after they said I had to find my own towing company. I finally found one and they were horrible! I couldn't understand a thing they were saying on the phone and it took them over 2 hrs to arrive!!! I cancelled my plan and went with another provider. The fact they didn't have glass coverage made me mad but this did me in. I cancelled my wife's and my plan immediately. Horrible company!!!

I am a very dissatisfied new customer. I started my insurance with Farmers/Bristol on 1/23/2016 and they cancelled the policy without my knowledge due to the fact that they entered a wrong account number for me. Your company refused to own up to their mistake and they also refused to reinstate my policy. Your company has awful customer service and I will never recommend anyone to your business.

My son and I signed up for this insurance back when he had cancer. They charged us an extra $40 a month later saying we didn't sign up for paperless when we never received or were told anything about paperless. Now, 6 months later, now that my son is back at his home, they debited my card for $277 without my permission. I did not authorize Bristol West to take money out of my account and now I am about to overdraft due to this incompetent idiots. I tried calling but naturally no one is available on weekends. I will never use them again. I would like to file a complaint about this company. Is it even legal to charge cancellation fees?

I was hit by a driver with Bristol West Ins and all the reviews I read were bad but I had a great experience with them. I talked to the rep on Monday after accident late Friday and had rental car that same day for 11 days. The vehicle was totalled and I had a check within 2 weeks. They were all pleasant and easy to work with and called me back quickly. I was very happy with their service.

I filed a claim w/ B West in Oct. 2015 after their insured hit my vehicle and fled the scene. After numerous phone calls to them, I was told today that they won't pay for the damages to my vehicle because their insured isn't cooperating. I imagine a lot of people buy their ins. because they know that if they hit someone, all they have to do is not cooperate & nothing will happen to them & BW WON'T HAVE TO PAY, SO BOTH PARTIES WIN & THE VICTIM GETS PENALIZED TWICE.

Believe everything negative you read about Bristol West. In other words, don't go through this company. I am hoping I can stop someone else from being taken advantage of. They are thieves. I established a policy with them through Farmers. Farmers reps have been great to me in helping be DEAL with Bristol West. Bristol West will find any reason to overcharge and add fees such as not enrolling in paperless billing. This fee by the way is $36.00 per month. They don't tell you this. You just notice a high increase after a month. Even when you're enrolled, they will still charge you. It's not in their policy. IN FACT, you never sign a policy with Bristol West, only Farmers. Since Farmers underwrites for Bristol West, I guess it's considered the same deal with both companies. BEWARE.

They have charged my account an excess of $397 in just a few short months. $90 for non-enrollment in paperless billing (which we were enrolled). I'll explain the other $307 in charges shortly. They will even charge you if the money is there and they fail to debit the funds from your account. For 2 months, I ensured funds were available and they never collected and they cancelled our insurance. When insurance was cancelled, we had to pay $307 on top of what we originally paid to re-establish insurance with them, otherwise it would cost our insurance rate to rise elsewhere. We did this in good faith that going forward wouldn't be any issue. However they look for any way to charge their policyholders more than their policy and add extra fees. UNETHICAL BUSINESS.

I will be filing a complaint with all authorities necessary and recouping all of my funds. My recommendation for anyone that currently has them and feel stuck, watch them closely and monitor your accounts. It's worth it to move to a different company, pay a little more and not have the headache. And to me, with careful shopping you can find better.

I was recently rear ended sitting at a stop sign near my home. The perp had Foremost insurance through Bristol West. My insurance (Progressive), was to make the claim on my behalf and they were told that there was nobody in their system by that name. I proceeded to call Foremost myself to find out that it was actually Bristol West, and further, Farmers. I don't know why three companies under one room, but it made things really confusing. Come to find out the person that hit me, did in fact, have insurance. The person quickly took my information as well as cut me off several times, and told me they would send an email with instructions for sending the pictures and estimate. I waited until after the Thanksgiving break and call the company back to find out they took all of my information down wrong and were unable to get a hold of me as well as spelled my name incorrectly.

The new rep promptly corrected the information and sent me to the adjuster that reluctantly took my phone call. She spoke with me briefly and explained the process as well told me it should be fairly quick to receive my payment. This was now 4 days ago. I call and it may ring anywhere from 2-5 times and go straight to voicemail. I have not been able to have a conversation with her, except for to tell me she could not see the emails that were sent. I again called and called and called. Each time to go directly to voicemail. So I call this morning and instead called the claims department. She was supposed to give me a docs@bristolwest.com and a password to check the status of my claim. Turns out the problem with my email was that the amount of pictures requested via email was too large so I proceeded to upload them to google drive and send a link to view the photos and estimate.

I called three times throughout the day yesterday to see if this worked, and she refused to take my call sending it to voicemail every time I called and not returning my phone calls. She eventually emails back and says it did not work. I proceeded to go to my gmail account and add her to view the photos and resent the link except for from my google account this time instead of a link copy and pasted. Refused to take my phone calls again. She finally emails me this morning and says it still wont work. I call several times and leave a few voice mails and receive no call back. So I add the photos as an attachment from google drive and she emails me promptly saying she cannot open them again. At this point I have started adding a request for receipt to all my emails and call her promptly to get immediately sent to voicemail.

I ended up copying and pasting the pictures of the damage to a word document and copying and pasting to the email. My gut feeling is she has screened my phone calls all week, and refused to set up whatever protocol gmail has to view shared documents. So frustrated as I had to take time off of work to deal with this and she doesn't even have the decency to take my call. If they are like this with a claim, imagine how they are with their customers! I have had to repeat my claim number so many times I seriously have the 10-digit claim number memorized.

If you want an insurance company that doesn't care about their insured, and most definitely won't stand up and fight for their insured, then this is the company for you! The adjusters must be right out of college and completely overworked. They didn't even try to fight for me during a recent collision. I was hit from behind by a driver that was speeding, distracted and hit me 100 yards after I turned! They sided with her insurance company and blamed me for the wreck when I was clearly not in the wrong. They are unprofessional and uncaring. I wouldn't recommend this or Farmers Insurance to ANYONE EVER! I will be dropping and switching in 6 months without hesitation. Stay far far far away from this company!

I first applied for farmers insurance but got sent to a company with Bristol West, which is cool since I was still paying the quote I agreed to. Liability charge for an old car I drive a few times a week started off at 50 a month, and went up to around 60ish. Since its paperless and on automatic drafting, I had no problem whatsoever with the bills even if the bill went up very little every other month. When I started a new job I called a week prior to let the woman know I would need a 2 day grace period and to put me back on the drafting for the normal date right after that said month. I paid the late fee and whatever and assumed everything was back to normal. However, I got 100ish dollars drafted out and I called to let her know there was an error, however according to her, it was purposeful due to me canceling to pay the late fee for that month.

It honestly doesn't make much sense to me why I lost my discount when I called ahead regarding this matter and clarified my policy would not change due to that happening, yet according to her the policy did change. Just by wanting to pay 2 days late. Wow, I am not happy as I've paid on time for all 9 months, it feels like they, or she used this advantage to charge me more. I went with this insurance company because it was very affordable, yet if they cannot even let me know of a policy change before surprising me with extra and then claiming it was a fee they cannot fix then that's just wrong on their part. If this does not get fixed, I'm moving back to my old insurance, at least they had grace periods and no extra late fees or policy change fees.

It's a company I've had since I bought my first car. I Haven't had any issues making a claim. They were a small company bought out by a larger one but I still have my same agent.

On 9/7, while shopping at Lowe's for building supplies, my minivan was hit in the rear lift gate. I was in the store and the guy driving the other vehicle, a p/u, had a bed extender and had his tailgate down. He couldn't his tailgate and hit my car. I have Allstate and he has Bristol West. I reported the accident to Allstate and they filed the claim for me with BW. It took 2 or 3 weeks for an adjuster from BW to contact me, then he had to get in touch with the guy who rear-ended me to get his version, even though BW had the accident report filed by the officer who came out. I finally had to call back to find out when the check would be deposited; I kept getting the adjuster's voice mail, and he never returned my call. I then called the company and they put me in touch with his supervisor, who got him on the phone.

Finally, after about 5 weeks, BW deposited the check. I'm going to need a rental for 5 days, and when I called about this, again I had to keep calling. I even called Allstate as a last resort, and the customer rep. tried to call his supervisor, whose voicemail picked up. She and I left a message for him to call me, then I tried the adjuster again and had to leave a vm. He finally returned my call and said he had issued a check at the time he issued the check for the repairs. I informed him that both checks together were less than the estimate I had gotten from the body shop. He told me his adjuster had come up with a different amount and had probably got a reduction in an estimate because that was a common practice.

Just before I got this car, I was rear-ended while stopped and waiting for the car ahead of me to make a left turn. Somehow nobody seems to be able to see my car until they hit it. In this accident, the other driver had Farm Bureau insurance (not to be confused with Farmer's Insurance) and within 2 weeks, I had received the check and was in a better car. They called and arranged for a rental the next day after the accident, w/o my having to call them first! They decided my car was totaled and gave me more than the KBB value. There was so much contrast between the two experiences that I don't know how Bristol West can even call themselves an insurance company!

It was ok, a little expensive, but was an insurance company, brokered through State Farm. State Farm agent/office was very nice and helpful, was most especially helpful with explaining the prices and policies and making sure you're comfortable and informed.

I received a check for 3 thousand plus from Bristol West. Somehow the check was never opened and misplaced... my bad. I called Bristol West and they are claiming the check is fraudulent and are refusing to re-issue the check. The check is written on paper with all of the "safety features", watermarks, fluorescent strings, etc. So how can the check be fraudulent I ask, "I don't know" we had a bunch in 2011 and she claims she doesn't who did it or why. REALLY?

First, 2011 has nothing to do with me and a company is going to just allow "a bunch" of fraudulent checks go without finding out what's going on? Has anybody else had this sort of problem? If so, what did you do to solve it please? Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, BW was not my insurance company, however State Farm was and they were associated with them at the time. I am disabled and this money would come in handy. My wife and I were both in accidents the year the check was issued (not our faults). Just a coincidence?

I tried to cancel the service a month before, and they still charged my card $342.00!!! I was told a BS excuse of why they couldn't return the money to my card and was treated like a criminal. THE WORST COMPANY EVER!! I wish I would have gone to the BBB sooner to see all of the horrible reviews given about this company.

Bristol West Insurance Company Profile