2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Bristol West Insurance offers multiple auto insurance coverage options to customers in all 50 states. Bristol isn't part of the InsuraMatch program that powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch to get your personalized quotes from all their verified partners.

BOTTOM LINE

Bristol West Insurance is a member of the Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the United States. Reviewers say the claims process is fast and efficient. Bristol West offers standard and optional coverages with personalized service and specializes in insurance options for high-risk drivers.

PROS

• Low down payment options
  • Product sold by local agents and brokers
  • Standard, comprehensive and optional coverage options
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • SR-22 or FR-44 options available

CONS

• A few customers reported unexpected price increases
  • Some customers experienced a delay while getting a quote

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2020

I want to add roadside assist so I can get help when I need it. They told me it will be extra $70 per month + monthly car insurance. Which is too much price so I end up with just keep the insurance. I was not happy with service. Worst insurance company ever I had seen in my life. Insurance company canceled the insurance without notifying me. Never ever send me any email. I does not know until I got pulled over by cops. I was shocked because my car insurance has still 3 months left of expiring.

I called them. They were keep hanging up my phone. It won't even send the refund check or anything in mailbox not in the email. This insurance company is joke. It is wasting money. Please do not get this insurance. It is better to get paid little bit more and get a better service. This insurance has so many bad reviews. I don't why this insurance company is still open. Please do not waste your money and your time. This is spam. If you are agree insurance company is joke or spam report them So other person can save their money.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I signed up for an auto policy with Bristol West because they offered a great rate, though I had to purchase renter's insurance in order to obtain the rate. But I was ok with this. I paid the six-month premium upfront. Bristol West then threatened to increase my premium because they claimed that I still lived at an old address. I offered to send a copy of my lease or other proof of residence. They refused to accept any such documentation and instead insisted that I dispute the information with the credit bureau, which is apparently how they incorrectly determined my address.

I filed the dispute with Equifax despite the absurdity of having to go out of my way to deal with a third party that has nothing to do with where I live. I subsequently canceled my policy with Bristol West once my six-month policy was up. Then I received a notice from Bristol West claiming that I owed them $95 with no explanation. I never changed my policy nor had any claims with them. There is no indication on my Bristol West account what this charge is for, nor how to dispute it. The same day that I received the notice from Bristol West, I also received notice from a debt collector that Bristol West apparently turned my "debt" over to. I am still in the process trying to resolve this issue with Bristol West and now have to look into legal options for redressing the damage to my credit :(.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I have full coverage insurance and have had it for 8 yrs with them. My car was stolen when I went to quick check an apartment I was cleaning. I made the police report and then the claim. Patricia ** was the adjuster handling my insurance claim. From the very beginning she was very rude. First thing she said is, "We probably will not approve your claim because it happened at your place of business." Then called me back and said, "Ok we will go through with it." She had me run all across town getting service reports, and bill of sale of my vehicle.

Then said she sent me papers to get notarized. I open the mail and did not find any papers to have notarized, so I called her to ask what am I supposed to have notarized? She said very rudely, “did you even open the letter to look at the papers?” I was like, "Uhhh yea. It’s just a letter confirming you all are taking the claim." She was like, "Oh... let me email them to you real quick then" (no apology). So I finally get them and had to pay 40 dollars at UPS just to get these papers notarized and sent to them. And no I did not get reimbursed for that. I got the call my car had been found two days later. No real damage to the outside but the motor was blown, and they identified the thief as a 17 yr old minor who has already had a history of stealing cars.

A few days later she calls me and says, "Sorry we are denying your claim because we cannot find any proof that the engine being blown was due to the thief having it." We argue for days about this. I say, "What more proof do you need then? My car was running just fine the day I was driving it, and then when I got it back from being stolen, the motor was completely blown?" Patricia was very rude and said “well back in October last yr when you had your oil changed they said there was no oil on the stick prior to the change, what do you expect is going to happen when you drive your car around with no oil in it?”

I said my next oil change said the oil was full prior to, and I did not need to come back for another oil change 6,000 miles. When my car got stolen I still had 500 more miles until I needed to go back for the next oil change, so there are no records indicating that I have not taken care of my car, period!!! And her responses continued to be very rude, she kept raising her voice with me and cutting me off while I was speaking. I ended up going to her supervisor Deborah **. I complained about how rude and unprofessional Patricia ** was and she told me she shouldn’t have spoke to me like that and she will talk to her, but was more trying to defend her and say how good great she actually is (I pretty much figure they are good friends). But Deborah was very pleasant to talk with and respectful I will say that.

But in the end after a week of going back and forth it was the same outcome, that if they could not prove 100% how the engine blew and that it was 100% the thief’s fault, that they could not honor my claim. And also that it does not matter at all that they cannot even prove that anything was wrong with my car or my engine prior to the theft. So now, I have no car that I still owe 3,000 dollars on, even though I have been paying 8yrs for full coverage insurance with them, it has been for absolutely no reason. I don’t know, I guess when they figured out it was a minor who stole my car and they knew they would not be able to collect money out of him, they were dead set on making sure they could deny a mother of 5 children who now has no car, who should have been protected with the FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE SHE HAS BEEN PAYING FOR FOR 8 YRS!!!!

As soon as I am able to, I am canceling my insurance with them, and also my mother, my 3 cousins, my aunt, and my grandmother who are also insured with Bristol West, are canceling theirs as well. So they just lost a total of eight people counting my husband and I as well at one time. I’m absolutely disappointed and disgusted with how Bristol West insurance, and their adjuster Patricia ** treated me. I've never witnessed such unprofessionalism in my life.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Bristol West increased my monthly rates by over 60% without notice. I have a perfect driving record and am 40 years old. When I called they told me they weren’t able to get my driving record through the DMV, so I was no longer getting my safe driver discount. I told them to cancel my policy and was on the phone for over an hour doing so. I was told I would be receiving a check from them for the difference in 7-10 days. Not only did I not receive a check, but my policy was never cancelled and they pulled my monthly payment out of my checking account! Their lack of intelligence and customer care is absolutely atrocious and borderline criminal. Do not use them for any of your insurance needs!

Original review: June 6, 2020

Got notice of cancellation for non payment without warning, postmarked 2 days before my payment was meant to come out (meaning they hadn't even tried to charge my account and cancelled my policy before it was even due). Tried to call and customer service rep hung up on me. Tried to call again and was told they couldn't get in to my account. They said they could tell I had one, but couldn't see any of the account details. Called again and I told them I wanted to follow through with the cancellation. They sent me a $5 cancellation fee. I paid the fee on time. They continued to harass me several times claiming that they would reinstate my insurance if I paid some random amount of money (it changed every time).

Then they sent me another letter postmarked for May 27th (though I did not receive it in the mail until June 5th), stating that my insurance was renewed the day my policy was originally canceled (March 27th, even though they had previously told me that my insurance was cancelled, and I had already paid the fee) but are now supposedly cancelling it as of May 12th due to non payment even though I had cancelled my policy back in March and had paid the cancellation fee as well. So I wasn't with them for insurance those couple months anyway. They are now trying to charge me for the 2 months after I cancelled my policy and are giving me 1 day to pay them $268 that I never owed them to begin with because my policy was cancelled 2 months earlier.

And on top of all of that, the day they want their payment by, is a Saturday. I received the last letter on a Friday. They are closed on Saturdays and Sundays. So I can't call them until the payment they are demanding (but I don't actually owe) is late. And they threatened in the letter that failure to pay on time will result in reporting me to collections.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: April 30, 2020

Poor communication. If you want someone removed from your policy, Good luck because it's a mess. If your request is lacking their req info, they won't contact you. I paid for services I didn't need and they know it. They refuse to refund my money, reluctant to remove drivers off my policy. I am looking for a replacement.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I added Farmers Insurance for my pickup, through Bristol West. Everything was okay until I got my policy renewal for the next 6 months. They were raising my month rate by approximately 40%, which was unjustified. No new tickets or claims with them. Premiums paid on time every month. I decided to cancel 4/3/20. Bristol West kept changing the cancellation date form 4/3 to 4/5, to 4/6 and the amount to be refunded back to me. I called them multiple times and also chatted with them multiple times. I was assured they would correct the cancellation date, which to date has not been corrected. I was told I would refunded the overpaid premium, which still has not been refunded. I even emailed my local agent and never received a response back. Bristol West has poor customer service and I feel the Farmers Insurance is insurance company to avoid.

Original review: April 15, 2020

BE VERY AWARE, I chose Farmers Insurance and they put me under Bristol instead. DO NOT EVER let them draw any payment out of your acct.! The insurance agent told me it would be a certain amt. every month. The first payment out and twice what they said, made all my checks bounce on the acct because of what they took out! DID NOT BOTHER TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE BANK AND DID NOT OFFER TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEMS THEY CREATED. They are crooks!

Agent told me after that they took care of the situation, I canceled the auto withdraw from the acct. She also told me that they would suspend for 30 days if I would just call. I called and you guessed it, "NO WE CAN'T DO THAT EITHER", I told her she needed to get her head out of it and tell the truth to the consumers!!!! I canceled the insurance for good, if you choose farmers make sure they are not putting you on bristol insurance before you go any further. Biggest crooks in the insurance business!!!! If they tell you Bristol run like hell!

Original review: April 10, 2020

Paid for 6 months of Insurance, 2 weeks go by and they say I owe 100 more cause I didn't have prior insurance.. which I did but was a commercial vehicle not private so they say they I still owe 100 plus a 25 late fee. Ended up canceling insurance to get a refund of what I could. Doesn't seem fair. But now with AAA and save a little a month.

Original review: April 10, 2020

I have been trying to cancel my policy & they keep requesting additional information from me. I send them what they request and then they come up with something else they need. It seems as if they are not wanting me to cancel my policy. First they requested that I send them proof that I have obtained other insurance (not sure why they need this) along with a written request with my signature to cancel. I sent the information multiple times and they kept saying they didn't receive it. I finally figured out how to upload the documents on their website and they still kept requesting the same information over and over again. Not sure why it is so difficult to cancel an insurance policy and get a refund. It has been a horrible experience dealing with this company.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information