Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
1.25/5

Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West Insurance offers multiple auto insurance coverage options to customers in all 50 states. Bristol isn't part of the InsuraMatch program that powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch to get your personalized quotes from all their verified partners.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I am not a Bristol West customer. I was rear-ended by a Bristol West client. Once the police report was available, I filed the claim with Bristol West and everything seemed fine. Adrian was my adjuster and she assured me that it was clear that the accident was not my fault and that Bristol West would pay the claim with no problems. They would also cover my rental car--and that Bristol West had a direct bill arrangement with Enterprise.

I took my car to be fixed (damaged bumper, side panel, and exhaust system). Quote from vendor=$3700+, quote from Bristol West=$1700+ (big difference!)! Day 2 into the repairs I am told by the vendor that BW has a 50% "betterment" charge written into their quote meaning that they will only pay 50% of the cost for the damaged muffler. I (the victim) have to pay the other 50% ($469!). Doesn't sound right or fair to me so I call Adrian to see what she can tell me. Crickets! Messages left for Adrian on Thursday, Friday, and the following Tuesday. NO response. The repair vendor called several times as well and Adrian will not return her calls either.

The lack of professionalism and responsibility is astounding. The company has the contact system so tight that no matter what number you call, you cannot talk with a person. Their system recognizes my cell phone number and continues to direct me back to the voicemail box of Adrian. There is no way to talk with another person or a supervisor to seek answers. Completely ridiculous way to do business. But I can see how it works out nicely for Bristol West.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My daughter acquired car insurance through this Granite City, Il office and was told if I (her mother) were “on the policy” also, it would be cheaper for her- so we agreed. After about six months my daughter lost her job and I called DEBBIE- from Bristol West and asked her to remove my name off of my daughter's policy. DAYS went by and I never heard back so I called again- only to be told by DEBBIE (again) that she’s taking care of it. AGAIN- never received anything. So I call AGAIN- and DEBBIE explains they will just cancel the policy and that I’ll get a bill in the mail but just ignore it and then I’ll get a cancellation in the mail. MONTHS later- I get a notice from a COLLECTION AGENCY- “LAMONT, HANLEY & ASSOC. INC” saying I owe $96.95!!!! So I called DEBBIE AGAIN- at Bristol - only to be told - she’ll check into it. AGAIN- NO RETURN CALL.

The next day I get ANOTHER COLLECTION NOTICE- so I called DEBBIE again. And I’m not so nice at this point- and she again says she will check into this. I ask to speak to her supervisor and she says they are not in- and that She will call me back this afternoon. So I called the collection agency- who told me that this policy was PUT IN MY NAME!!!! Needless to say, I am FURIOUS!! I’m trying to find out who I can talk to at this company about all these shenanigans going on!!! Do I contact the BBB? A lawyer???? WHO!!?? DO NOT USE THIS PARTICULAR BROKER or whatever they are called. Liars is more like it! Who does this stuff to people!!?? How are they still in business????

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

This company is a joke, they are thieves. I hate to say it but stay away from Farmers because you will end up with Bristol West due to shady practices. All of their agencies in every state should lose their license to sell insurance.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I was seeking better customer service and cost effective representation. I was on the line with my new rep, and she conferenced a rep from Bristol West. I had an ACH set to be deducted 3 days, including a weekend later. The Bristol West rep., said if I cancelled today then the ACH wouldn't be deducted from my account, so I signed on with the other insurance company, and paid my first payment. The Bristol West rep simply said call back before end of business to cancel and the ACH won't be deducted.

I called back and talked to a rep, and it took 17 minutes to get the new rep to understand my situation to cancel and stop the ACH. She continued to state that it takes 3 business days to stop the ACH and the previous rep gave me the incorrect information. I asked for a manager, to resolve the contradiction. I finally received the manager after 27 minutes on the line, and she informed me she couldn't stop the ACH, and the first rep had told me incorrect information. Then it would take 7-10 business days to process the cancellation for a refund and 7-10 days to receive a check in the mail. Poor customer service experience has continued during my tenure with this customer, and I was finally fed up.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

When I went to cancel the insurance, they informed me that I was due to pay them $50 for canceling which was apparently something that they inserted into the contract without my knowledge. Such business practices are now becoming rampant. Had I known about the idiotic cancellation fee, I would have held on through the end of the month with the policy and not renewed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Company bought out our previous insurance company, raised the rates, and past that there is no customer regard ever communicated. The only communication is when the bill is sent. Very impersonal customer relations.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I was injured by one of their insured when I was rear-ended. It took me several days just to get someone on the phone to speak to about the accident. When I finally got someone, they told me to take pics with this app they sent me which was quite easy to do. They told me they would contact me by Tuesday and they did but I missed the call. When I checked my messages and returned the call, I got a voice mail. I have been trying to reach the claims adjuster Jeffrey ** for several days. Emails got returned and I have no idea why.

They gave me an estimate to repair my car but no one is telling me what is going on. This company is so bad I hope that everyone who has them leaves. I contacted an attorney and she said until I can speak to them to see if the insured has bodily injury coverage, there is nothing they can do. Not to mention the lawyer I spoke to said Bristol West is the worst to work with.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I have a luxury car, so I need full coverage for my new car. My producer told me I got full coverage with Bristol West. I've been paying $200/month. Now I want to switch to AAA. I gave AAA agent a summary of my coverage, she told me I only got basic liability with Bristol West, and that would cost me only 88/month. I am so mad but don't know how to bring Bristol West to justice.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Beginning of this year I received a very sizable increase in my rates. I called in to find out the reason for this increase and was given a huge runaround and in the end not a satisfactory answer. Keep in mind I have no accidents or tickets and I pay my bill using the auto-pay feature, so no late payments. I have been a customer of Farmer's Insurance for 25 years and expected much better service than what I have received so far. I finally made the decision to switch insurance companies and called in to stop the automatic payment from happening to renew the policy. I was AGAIN, given a huge runaround about this, told that I can't cancel the policy until 10 days prior to the renewal date, and I can not stop the automatic payments until the policy cancels, on top of being told I need to call back at another time to do this. What a crock this is.

Good customer service would have said something along the lines of, "We are sorry to hear of your decision to leave, but we will be happy to assist you and make sure that the policy the policy is terminated on time and that your automatic payment will be stopped when you requested." No wonder companies can't seem to keep customers, you want to overcharge for your services, then make the customers feel as if they aren't appreciated, and when someone calls in to ask for help, they get a runaround instead of actual customer service. I will be calling back to cancel the policy AS DIRECTED, but I can honestly say that I am so happy I will no longer have to deal with such crappy customer service.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I had a total loss over being caught in a flash floods with my vehicle. The adjuster stated if I could verify what the odometer miles were from a recent service visit, then those would be what we would use on valuation. Well I almost lost my life & had to be rescued. The whole event has been extremely traumatic. Several Documents, possessions were damaged. I was not getting replacement coverage, like I thought I was paying for. Also, I had no rental coverage. So without a vehicle now & the rude adjuster, lied about comparisons & what we originally agreed to on mileage. I went immediately to work with our local Ford dealer & they did an extensive search for matching vehicles with similar miles & features. There were none!! Anywhere that were an even close match.

So when I was on the phone with them I also got info. About what the payout value by law on a total loss would be. The dealer stated the bottom minimum was 31,000.00 the top being 34,500. Which they believed I should fight for the top. Due to recent proof of Service, including mileage & excellent condition on the report. Yet the adjuster lowballed it to 27,000.00 not telling me she upped the mileage by 3500 & didn't enter all my features. As well as trying to claim my tires were bad & my seats.

Worst than that when I got time to open her comparison valuation? I found out she used higher miles & vehicles that either never existed? Fraud, or were completely lied about when I called the dealerships to verify the comparisons. When I confronted the adjuster she stated, "Well that's too bad, Negotiations are closed & you're not getting any more." And she hung up on me!! Lol Sent proof to my agent & said I want her to get another adjuster & file a grievance. Haven't heard anything out of here either. Plus I am still being auto debited full premium even though I submitted paperwork on going to nonvehicle coverage til this is settled.

Called my agent on this as well. No response. Kathleen **. Farmer's Agent out of Andover, Mn This is devastating to say the least. Plus they demanded I fill out new title paperwork & sign with no Odometer reading?? But yet they wanted to value it @ over what it really had to cheat me. Then they're gonna resell it & lie about it & put some lower Number in after I signed this crap.

But joke's on them, cause I had a name change. Which I told them. After somehow it got registered this past year in my old name. But reality is the true title is in my new name & I still have. They will not get it until this made right. Don't use this company for cheaper premium! Like I did. I had no idea, they were poorly rated. It's not worth the risk????.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information