1.2/5 (246 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Bristol West Insurance

Bristol West is a member of Farmers Insurance Group, one of the biggest insurance companies in the U.S. It offers standard coverage, as well as optional, personalized add-on services. The company focuses particularly on affordable insurance options for high-risk drivers and offers 24/7 online policy access.

Pros

• Medical care coverage up to $10,000
  • 24/7 online claims filing
  • Affordable

Cons

• Policy info not available online
  • Not ideal for low-risk drivers

Bottom Line

Bristol West is part of Farmers Insurance Group and offers competitive rates for standard auto policies. It specializes in insuring high-risk drivers and those with poor credit, but it may not be the best option for low-risk drivers.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

Bristol West Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bristol West Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

This is the worst company! My license has been suspended 3 times my daughters car almost repoed 2 times because they never report your renewal. And when you call them to fix it they don’t! I lost a great job due to a suspended license on my background check! They are horrible!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

This company does not respond to accident claims. Reached out online, by phone, by text and email repeatedly. Absolutely no response. Don't buy insurance here. My car was hit by one of their insureds. Had all the insurance information was referred to a representative. Only one representative is allowed to respond, no one else in the company is allowed to speak to inquiries. The operator said the person would call me right away. I have called repeatedly, texted and emailed. Called the representative and the corporate office. Absolutely no response. Upon researching this company Better Business Bureau has given it an F rating.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Stay away!! Bristol West is horrible!! Probably the worst company out there. Been with them for years and NEVER had a good experience with them. If they weren't the cheapest around, I'd definitely be with someone else! You suck B.W.!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Changed insurance companies because Bristol West was dbl the rate as everyone else. Paying 250 for 1 car that was driven less than 1000 in 1 year due to Covid. Canceled them. Now owe almost $ 200 for 13 days or collections.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

We should have seen the issues coming when we were receiving our policy quote. My wife found this company and said when she spoke to the agent, he seemed nice and knowledgeable. I told her to get a quote so we could compare it to the others we received. With the quote, our situation is a little complicated as we have 2 houses and 4 vehicles, but the agent told us we could split the policies and it wouldn't be an issue. We explained which vehicles were at which houses and confirmed it with him to ensure that we did not need to make any changes. When we received the quote, the price was better than the others we received and it was a Farmers company, so we decided to purchase through them.

We received the documents online and noticed that one of the vehicles did not show up on the contract. Our agent stated that the system will screw up with multiple vehicles and miss pages at times. This was clue number 1. The total was correct and he stated they would send the corrected documents out when everything was completed. We esigned the application and made the down payment.

When we received our bill, it was about $50 higher than the quote. We called the agent (which took multiple calls to get ahold of him) and he said he would investigate and get back to us that day or the next. 2 days later, with no return call, we called him back. He answered and stated he was working on the issue with the underwriter to find out what the change was. He stated he would call us back by the end of that day. 2 days after that, with no call back again, we called him and he said he was still waiting for his underwriter.

After another 3 days, we cancelled the insurance and went with another provider. Unfortunately, we did not cancel in time to stop the payment from coming out of our account. I contacted the main company for information on the refund amount. When they gave me the amount, it was about $65 less than what it should have been. I contacted the main company and they told me immediately that they had change the garaging zip code for the vehicle and that change increased the policy. Mind you, we went over where everything was several times to make sure it was correct. I even checked the applications, which I went over thoroughly, and it had the correct garaging information. They told me there was nothing they could do about it and the refund would not change.

I currently have a complaint working with the Farmers district office. When I spoke with one of their office staff, they gave me a different reason for the increase and stated that the agent had completely left one of our cars off of the policy (which was the reason it did not show on the application as mentioned before). Apparently the agent added it later without informing us of the change. So either it was not included to show a lower rate and fraudulently added later after we agreed to switch, or the agent was just inept and did not know how to enter the information into the system. Either way, it was a major screw up on his part. We are currently waiting for resolution.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Due to illness I didn't drive for over six months and had my car parked therefore I canceled my insurance for that time not knowing I would be punished and have to pay higher insurance when I reinsured the vehicle. The Company Geico assigned me was Bristol West. Each month they took more out of my account and the sixth month I added a used vehicle I had purchased but they wouldn't give me a quote over the phone. Two weeks later I got a bill for $389.83 for one month of insurance for two cars and I have a perfect driving record. This is for a 2003 and 2013 vehicle. I Immediately canceled them and Farm Bureau insured the same vehicles for me at $82 a month. This Company is definitely a rip off. After I canceled, they would not tell me how much I owed to close out the account so at this point I'm waiting for more bad news. Their associates spoke broken English and were difficult to understand.

Original review: July 29, 2021

The quote given which was paid upfront wasn’t the rate applied to my policy. Deceptive means were used to raise my rates by requesting documents be submitted online that could not be completed or uploaded with the consequence of raising my rates if I didn't return them. Was told the quote given was based on a discount in being a homeowner when I clearly stated my current type of residence in the application process. Rate was also increased in saying I didn’t remit an EFT agreement even though I did sign and return it to them. Took much effort to straighten it all out but Then had the gall to add a late charge to my balance due. Totally Regret paying for a 6 month contract.

In not wishing to continue service with BW, I did not pay the renewal premium. However I was unknowingly and automatically charged an NSF fee of $30 even though my policy was subsequently cancelled for nonpayment as per my intention. I moved on and gave no further attention to their contacts - until I received a collection notice for the delinquent $30 payment which has affected my credit score. Had no recourse in their underhanded manipulation of payment processing as the fee is included in the fine print of that stupid EFT agreement they first claimed I hadn’t remitted. Very poor customer service with devious intent to get money any way possible.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I had went with Bristol west because my ex wife dropped me. From Farmers insurance without telling me and my insurance lapsed even though I was previously with farmers insurance they wouldn’t write me a policy for farmers because they said my insurance had lapsed. The policy for Bristol west was crazy expensive. What gets me is they wouldn’t let me have farmers auto insurance but could write me a policy for renters insurance thru farmers. After six months they sent me a renewal which I had told them I wanted to cancel because it was too expensive! Well I got new insurance and a new debit card but somehow they charged my account. They didn’t cancel and I told Wesley ** from Moore that I didn’t want to renew. Well they got my money anyways with a unauthorized debit from my account.

When I called Bristol west told me the policy was not canceled and that I couldn’t even cancel my farmers rental insurance thru them. That I had to call farmers. Well long story short they took over $300 from my account and only refunded $150. I wouldn’t recommend this insurance to anyone. They suck. ** insurance and ** customer service.

Original review: March 16, 2021

One of their policy holders Karen ** - her granddaughter Kensley ** hit my Jeep when she was texting and driving. Her adjuster Paola ** did NOT return calls, emails, nothing. I left 5 messages. Then I get a letter. Said that my claim was not accepted, when I called to get a supervisor, I was denied by Paola **. Said that since I was prior military Bristol West does not pay on claims on vehicles that were owned by veterans. That is discrimination and poor business practices. I faxed/emailed all information to them 3 times, got told that they don't support the military and don't reimburse when the accident was by their insurance holders fault. If I was not military, they might have paid out.

I will be filing suit against Bristol for discrimination against military status and their holder for failure to pay when I was told by the 1st claims adjuster that once I sent all receipts and such to this accident, they would pay for the damages cause the stupid Toledo Cop is the girl's dad - and wrote accident report in her favor. Office Emery, got a emailed from the girls grandmother that said her dad is the officer that did the report - that is a conflict of interest and favoritism. The girl didn't even pay her own insurance, it was granny. Daddy the cop, and the insurance company cause I am military!?! WTF. Tell all people - that Bristol is a joke - if you have them, don't hesitate to change, cause they don't pay out on claims if they find out you are military.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I have had trouble with Bristol West since day 1. The paperwork for me to sign was prepared incorrectly and it took 2 weeks and never did get corrected (I had to have my agent email me, then I printed, signed, scanned and emailed back because it was STILL wrong). The error was that they wanted me to initial that my vehicle is NOT used for rideshare, when I CLEARLY told them I am a Doordash driver and other gig worker. NOW, I am having a payment issue because even though their supervisor admitted to me they made an error and drafted the wrong bank account, after several HOURS on the phone they will still not give me a credit for the NSF fee charged by my bank. I told them today that I am DONE and I am only staying with them because I don't have the money to go anywhere else right now, plus, after 4 more months I will be eligible to transfer to Farmers, which is a better company anyway.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

After trying to cancel my policy (several times) for a car I no longer owned; Bristol West was still taking an automatic debit from my checking account. I had to get my bank to stop payments to get Bristol West to stop billing me for a car I had donated many months before. After my bank did an investigation, they refunded the automatic deductions to my account. Thank heavens because we are speaking hundreds of dollars. Note the word 'investigation' - so this is not just my say so - and yet - Bristol West sent my information to a collection agency for that same money that they wrongfully took!!! I can't get rid of these people!! DO NOT SIGN UP FOR AUTOMATIC PAYMENT!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Published review 12/4/20. This insurance company wanted to charge me over $300 for one vehicle. I agreed because at the time it was the cheapest option I could find. I’ve been a customer for 3 years. From the month of August this year I look at my account and my went up to $500!!! I called in and asked why? They said that my wife on the account had 2 claims. My wife has a perfect driving record. I called in Lexis Nexis and had proof that she had no claims. They said that they couldn’t do anything for that month and wanted a $500 payment for the month of August. I cancelled with them and spoke with James (the owner for Bristol West in my area) and had 2 other representatives tell me that we owed nothing 4 different times! So I was okay with this because I didn’t want to pay a bill that big.

3 months down the road I get a letter in the mail saying that we had a $300 payment. I was outraged and tried to call them. They were impossible to reach. I finally got ahold of them and tried to get it figured out and they said that they sent emails, letters, etc. stating the notice for a an outstanding balance. My wife and I haven’t received one thing!!! I received a letter actually from collections. The company would not waive that and needed a full payment. After all of this bull **, my wife and I switched to State Farm insurance. For full coverage on our 2014 Honda CR-V and liability on my truck, we now pay $180 for both. Bristol West is such a rip off and such a scam. Do not, I repeat do not get insurance with this company. And please do your research on insurance companies.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I sent in a cancellation request and it took 2 weeks to process it and they kept telling me I was missing things every time I sent it in, now since it’s processed they’re telling me in an additional 2 more weeks to get a refund back! It’s been over a month since I sent in my cancellation request and I still nothing. The wait time for agent is about 5-10 minutes every time you call and people who work there don’t know what they are doing!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

After canceling with this company I still got charged two more months on my credit card as a recurring charge the total amount was now $727. I contacted the company. They stated that was a mistake on their end and that I would get reimbursed within 5 to 10 business days. It has now been over 3 weeks and my money is not back on my account. I have been calling the agent. She says she has no clue what is going on but there's no update. I've been calling the company directly and they just transfer me over and over to different departments. I can get an answer of where is my money. It's ridiculous. This is the worst company I have dealt with.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I cancelled my auto insurance with your company as your customer service is awful, you charge $6.00 to make a payment with a person (which I’ve NEVER heard of) and you charge someone with a 96 Toyota Camry $93.00 for the lowest insurance you can buy!! Don’t worry, I have cancelled my policy with you and made sure friends and family know not to ever do business with your company as you have proved time and time again you aren’t worth the money or hassle. I went with another company who for the same coverage, I now pay $38 a month instead of your ridiculous $93 a month. I am SO happy to say I never have to call or deal with your company again and I’ve never had an issue with any company treating me the way you have. Good Riddance!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

This insurance is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen. Unexpected rate increase and added people I didn’t even know on to my insurance. When I finally got someone on the phone, they could not give me an explanation of the rate increase, nor the unknown drivers added to my insurance. Poorest excuse for an insurance company I have ever dealt with!! Definitely will be finding me a different company to insure with.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This has been by far the worst experience I’ve ever had with any insurance company. No one is able to give you a straight answer regarding questions about your policy and I had a representative say he couldn’t confirm whether or not I have full coverage insurance, as they don’t use that term. All he could state was that I had certain limits and coverage. I was charged an excessive premium for adding a vehicle. Minimum legal coverage for my state was going to cost me $159 a month. I drive a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee people! And I have a clean record. Needless to say, they ripped me off for 340 bucks and I cancelled. Don’t even bother with this company. They’re a joke.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

Have had insurance for over 20 years and company was bought out by Bristol West and has turned into the worst experience ever. I have been paying them without a claim for 20 years and they increase my monthly payment by 40.00 for a cost of living fee.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I want to add roadside assist so I can get help when I need it. They told me it will be extra $70 per month + monthly car insurance. Which is too much price so I end up with just keep the insurance. I was not happy with service. Worst insurance company ever I had seen in my life. Insurance company canceled the insurance without notifying me. Never ever send me any email. I does not know until I got pulled over by cops. I was shocked because my car insurance has still 3 months left of expiring.

I called them. They were keep hanging up my phone. It won't even send the refund check or anything in mailbox not in the email. This insurance company is joke. It is wasting money. Please do not get this insurance. It is better to get paid little bit more and get a better service. This insurance has so many bad reviews. I don't why this insurance company is still open. Please do not waste your money and your time. This is spam. If you are agree insurance company is joke or spam report them So other person can save their money.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I signed up for an auto policy with Bristol West because they offered a great rate, though I had to purchase renter's insurance in order to obtain the rate. But I was ok with this. I paid the six-month premium upfront. Bristol West then threatened to increase my premium because they claimed that I still lived at an old address. I offered to send a copy of my lease or other proof of residence. They refused to accept any such documentation and instead insisted that I dispute the information with the credit bureau, which is apparently how they incorrectly determined my address.

I filed the dispute with Equifax despite the absurdity of having to go out of my way to deal with a third party that has nothing to do with where I live. I subsequently canceled my policy with Bristol West once my six-month policy was up. Then I received a notice from Bristol West claiming that I owed them $95 with no explanation. I never changed my policy nor had any claims with them. There is no indication on my Bristol West account what this charge is for, nor how to dispute it. The same day that I received the notice from Bristol West, I also received notice from a debt collector that Bristol West apparently turned my "debt" over to. I am still in the process trying to resolve this issue with Bristol West and now have to look into legal options for redressing the damage to my credit :(.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I have full coverage insurance and have had it for 8 yrs with them. My car was stolen when I went to quick check an apartment I was cleaning. I made the police report and then the claim. Patricia ** was the adjuster handling my insurance claim. From the very beginning she was very rude. First thing she said is, "We probably will not approve your claim because it happened at your place of business." Then called me back and said, "Ok we will go through with it." She had me run all across town getting service reports, and bill of sale of my vehicle.

Then said she sent me papers to get notarized. I open the mail and did not find any papers to have notarized, so I called her to ask what am I supposed to have notarized? She said very rudely, “did you even open the letter to look at the papers?” I was like, "Uhhh yea. It’s just a letter confirming you all are taking the claim." She was like, "Oh... let me email them to you real quick then" (no apology). So I finally get them and had to pay 40 dollars at UPS just to get these papers notarized and sent to them. And no I did not get reimbursed for that. I got the call my car had been found two days later. No real damage to the outside but the motor was blown, and they identified the thief as a 17 yr old minor who has already had a history of stealing cars.

A few days later she calls me and says, "Sorry we are denying your claim because we cannot find any proof that the engine being blown was due to the thief having it." We argue for days about this. I say, "What more proof do you need then? My car was running just fine the day I was driving it, and then when I got it back from being stolen, the motor was completely blown?" Patricia was very rude and said “well back in October last yr when you had your oil changed they said there was no oil on the stick prior to the change, what do you expect is going to happen when you drive your car around with no oil in it?”

I said my next oil change said the oil was full prior to, and I did not need to come back for another oil change 6,000 miles. When my car got stolen I still had 500 more miles until I needed to go back for the next oil change, so there are no records indicating that I have not taken care of my car, period!!! And her responses continued to be very rude, she kept raising her voice with me and cutting me off while I was speaking. I ended up going to her supervisor Deborah **. I complained about how rude and unprofessional Patricia ** was and she told me she shouldn’t have spoke to me like that and she will talk to her, but was more trying to defend her and say how good great she actually is (I pretty much figure they are good friends). But Deborah was very pleasant to talk with and respectful I will say that.

But in the end after a week of going back and forth it was the same outcome, that if they could not prove 100% how the engine blew and that it was 100% the thief’s fault, that they could not honor my claim. And also that it does not matter at all that they cannot even prove that anything was wrong with my car or my engine prior to the theft. So now, I have no car that I still owe 3,000 dollars on, even though I have been paying 8yrs for full coverage insurance with them, it has been for absolutely no reason. I don’t know, I guess when they figured out it was a minor who stole my car and they knew they would not be able to collect money out of him, they were dead set on making sure they could deny a mother of 5 children who now has no car, who should have been protected with the FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE SHE HAS BEEN PAYING FOR FOR 8 YRS!!!!

As soon as I am able to, I am canceling my insurance with them, and also my mother, my 3 cousins, my aunt, and my grandmother who are also insured with Bristol West, are canceling theirs as well. So they just lost a total of eight people counting my husband and I as well at one time. I’m absolutely disappointed and disgusted with how Bristol West insurance, and their adjuster Patricia ** treated me. I've never witnessed such unprofessionalism in my life.

Original review: June 6, 2020

Bristol West increased my monthly rates by over 60% without notice. I have a perfect driving record and am 40 years old. When I called they told me they weren’t able to get my driving record through the DMV, so I was no longer getting my safe driver discount. I told them to cancel my policy and was on the phone for over an hour doing so. I was told I would be receiving a check from them for the difference in 7-10 days. Not only did I not receive a check, but my policy was never cancelled and they pulled my monthly payment out of my checking account! Their lack of intelligence and customer care is absolutely atrocious and borderline criminal. Do not use them for any of your insurance needs!

Original review: June 6, 2020

Got notice of cancellation for non payment without warning, postmarked 2 days before my payment was meant to come out (meaning they hadn't even tried to charge my account and cancelled my policy before it was even due). Tried to call and customer service rep hung up on me. Tried to call again and was told they couldn't get in to my account. They said they could tell I had one, but couldn't see any of the account details. Called again and I told them I wanted to follow through with the cancellation. They sent me a $5 cancellation fee. I paid the fee on time. They continued to harass me several times claiming that they would reinstate my insurance if I paid some random amount of money (it changed every time).

Then they sent me another letter postmarked for May 27th (though I did not receive it in the mail until June 5th), stating that my insurance was renewed the day my policy was originally canceled (March 27th, even though they had previously told me that my insurance was cancelled, and I had already paid the fee) but are now supposedly cancelling it as of May 12th due to non payment even though I had cancelled my policy back in March and had paid the cancellation fee as well. So I wasn't with them for insurance those couple months anyway. They are now trying to charge me for the 2 months after I cancelled my policy and are giving me 1 day to pay them $268 that I never owed them to begin with because my policy was cancelled 2 months earlier.

And on top of all of that, the day they want their payment by, is a Saturday. I received the last letter on a Friday. They are closed on Saturdays and Sundays. So I can't call them until the payment they are demanding (but I don't actually owe) is late. And they threatened in the letter that failure to pay on time will result in reporting me to collections.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Poor communication. If you want someone removed from your policy, Good luck because it's a mess. If your request is lacking their req info, they won't contact you. I paid for services I didn't need and they know it. They refuse to refund my money, reluctant to remove drivers off my policy. I am looking for a replacement.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I added Farmers Insurance for my pickup, through Bristol West. Everything was okay until I got my policy renewal for the next 6 months. They were raising my month rate by approximately 40%, which was unjustified. No new tickets or claims with them. Premiums paid on time every month. I decided to cancel 4/3/20. Bristol West kept changing the cancellation date form 4/3 to 4/5, to 4/6 and the amount to be refunded back to me. I called them multiple times and also chatted with them multiple times. I was assured they would correct the cancellation date, which to date has not been corrected. I was told I would refunded the overpaid premium, which still has not been refunded. I even emailed my local agent and never received a response back. Bristol West has poor customer service and I feel the Farmers Insurance is insurance company to avoid.

Original review: April 15, 2020

BE VERY AWARE, I chose Farmers Insurance and they put me under Bristol instead. DO NOT EVER let them draw any payment out of your acct.! The insurance agent told me it would be a certain amt. every month. The first payment out and twice what they said, made all my checks bounce on the acct because of what they took out! DID NOT BOTHER TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE BANK AND DID NOT OFFER TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEMS THEY CREATED. They are crooks!

Agent told me after that they took care of the situation, I canceled the auto withdraw from the acct. She also told me that they would suspend for 30 days if I would just call. I called and you guessed it, "NO WE CAN'T DO THAT EITHER", I told her she needed to get her head out of it and tell the truth to the consumers!!!! I canceled the insurance for good, if you choose farmers make sure they are not putting you on bristol insurance before you go any further. Biggest crooks in the insurance business!!!! If they tell you Bristol run like hell!

Original review: April 10, 2020

Paid for 6 months of Insurance, 2 weeks go by and they say I owe 100 more cause I didn't have prior insurance.. which I did but was a commercial vehicle not private so they say they I still owe 100 plus a 25 late fee. Ended up canceling insurance to get a refund of what I could. Doesn't seem fair. But now with AAA and save a little a month.

Original review: April 10, 2020

I have been trying to cancel my policy & they keep requesting additional information from me. I send them what they request and then they come up with something else they need. It seems as if they are not wanting me to cancel my policy. First they requested that I send them proof that I have obtained other insurance (not sure why they need this) along with a written request with my signature to cancel. I sent the information multiple times and they kept saying they didn't receive it. I finally figured out how to upload the documents on their website and they still kept requesting the same information over and over again. Not sure why it is so difficult to cancel an insurance policy and get a refund. It has been a horrible experience dealing with this company.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I cancelled my insurance because I sold my car. Larry A at Bristol West Larry A. Bristol West® Insurance details below kept changing needs and evidence of sale. He has avoided payment for three weeks and now says it can’t be backdated. I have been with them for 15 years and never claimed. Trying to get six weeks of insurance back is impossible. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS.

Your agent:
Agent Name: AIG TRAVEL ASSIST
Phone Number: (888) 395-2524
Fax Number: (888) 888-0070

Email: fulfillment@bristolwest.com

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

If you are looking to get screwed around this is the company for you. Cancelled my policy over going over not getting a car in my name in the four week period to transfer ownership. It took me an extra week. I had to get a property tax waiver. My bad and I paid the penalty at the DMV. Whatever. They are not the only insurance company that takes cash. Not tripping. No wrecks and no tickets and I am 40 years old. The scum bags have not refunded my premium difference yet. They sent the cancellation email second week of November. Still no refund. Sandy **.

Bristol West Insurance Company Information