Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.08/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Anthem Reviews

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

After having breast cancer surgery and radiation, I had a mountain of bills for my portion of the co-pay and I had several versions of some of them. I wanted to make sure that I was not being over billed and over paying my co-pays with my yearly out of pocket expenses. I called customer service and spoke to Sharina, she went through all 15 bills with me and we found 2 that had not made a claim but they had billed me directly. Since I met my yearly out of pocket costs I wasn't responsible. The doctors' offices would have to make a claim if they wanted to be paid. I am so thankful for Sharina for taking the time to help me through this mountain of bills and get a better understanding so I can let these doctors know I don't owe them any money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

No co-pay for PCP, and an over the counter medication card value of $75.00 quarterly has really kept me happy with this plan. Add to that there is no added cost in the plan to speak of. We have told others about this plan, and compared to their own - they are impressed with the coverage.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We like our plan. We don't like our hospital choices. Little disappointed with some of the charges for generic drugs. Our doctors are great. We're very happy with no premium. Takes a while to get statements from other medical places, even though they have a copay. Always afraid that they will not pay for something that we thought was included...

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received a bill from a Doctor's accounting firm in another state regarding my wife's hospital stay approx. 3 months early. I contacted Anthem via telephone for an explanation. Anthems representative put me on hold while she contacted the billing party, then allowed me to join a 3 way meeting. This issue was resolved to all parties' satisfaction. I was very happy the way this was handled by Anthem.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's expensive for a senior but no worse than other plans. I recently had a cataract op on both eyes. Total cost $31000 which Medicare & Anthem covered most of it but my friend in England had the same op (privately - not on the National Health) for about $3000 - i.e. 90% cheaper. How come it costs ten times more here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: March 6, 2020

Not reliable insurance. If you have problems or have to stay home after surgery, please send the request for the short term or for a long term disability a month prior so you be able to get at least a paycheck on time. They take forever to review paperwork. Even know that you sign papers stating that if you get overpay to return the money, they still have 20 to 30 days to see if you have a pre existing conditions. Florida Blue is way better and work faster for your case. It's been more than 6 weeks and I haven't got any paycheck or even an explanation why it's taking so long. I have to call them and ask them questions about it. I send emails and no response. They can't put the case worker on the phone, it's the receptionist that answers all your questions. But for them to collect your money every week, they quick for that and if you stop paying, they will terminate it. What is the purpose to have insurance and PAYING FOR IT, if you can't rely on it.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

My company switch from Humana to Anthem at the beginning of the year. I've had to take Testosterone injections since before I've been with this joke of an insurance company. For some reason they have to prior authorize my medication. Ok fine. I was originally told it would take up to 48 hours. For some reason after the 3rd call with them to try and speed this process up, they're now telling me it can take 5-7 days. It has been over 72 hours! My doctor's office has already placed an urgent request on this authorization crap. However they deny they did.

So now after I've called 3 times and expressed how important it is I get my medication they ask if I want to place and urgent status on this process!!! Are you serious! Of course I do! This isnt something I want so I can get high. This is medication my body needs cause I don't produce it on my own anymore. When I was with Humana I never had this issue one time. Why does an insurance company have the right to delay or deny medication a doctor has told them I need!?! If you have a choice don't choose Anthem as your insurer. They are a horrible company!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I have experience hassles and long wait times to communicate with customers service for Anthem Blue Cross of Ohio. When you call on the phone. The wait time is anywhere from 15 minutes or more. When you log into website as a member, the site is usually experiencing technical difficulties or it rejects my log in credential and is unable to reset my password and ID. I have complained to Customer service about these problems in the past and they tell me they understand my concerns. Last 3 months I was unable to pay my premium online due to problems with website. When I call on phone, I wait on hold which seems like forever. What is wrong with this reputable company????

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My husband just changed jobs, so we were forced to change to Anthem BCBS. They are denying requests for medications that I have been taking for literally years. They say the medications are not medically necessary. Well, that's funny because my old Out-of-Network BCBS determined years ago that these medications were, in fact necessary... and finally, I wasn't suffering any longer. Now insurance changes and I'm suddenly OKAY?? How does that make any sense?

If you have any choice...Do not get this insurance! You will pay around $7000 annually for this insurance...then, you still will have to pay for everything...well, until you hit your deductible!!! And doctor's appointments will be $30 for your primary, plus 80% of anything extra your doctor bills. So, for example, you may pay over $200 for your Dr. to burn a wart off your kid's toe, that you could have just done yourself for $20 or less. Stay away from this insurance company!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Anthem BCBS of GA lacks any professionalism toward practitioners interested in serving their patrons. No way to communicate at all! It’s fine though bc I will let them all pay out of pocket and deal with that pathetic welfare program.

Anthem expert review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

• Best for: Students, senior citizens

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information