Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.40/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

492 Anthem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

We like our plan. We don't like our hospital choices. Little disappointed with some of the charges for generic drugs. Our doctors are great. We're very happy with no premium. Takes a while to get statements from other medical places, even though they have a copay. Always afraid that they will not pay for something that we thought was included...

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received a bill from a Doctor's accounting firm in another state regarding my wife's hospital stay approx. 3 months early. I contacted Anthem via telephone for an explanation. Anthems representative put me on hold while she contacted the billing party, then allowed me to join a 3 way meeting. This issue was resolved to all parties' satisfaction. I was very happy the way this was handled by Anthem.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's expensive for a senior but no worse than other plans. I recently had a cataract op on both eyes. Total cost $31000 which Medicare & Anthem covered most of it but my friend in England had the same op (privately - not on the National Health) for about $3000 - i.e. 90% cheaper. How come it costs ten times more here.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Good policy for the price I pay. Easy to read statement of benefits. Easy access to a representative if I have a question about my policy. For people who require vitamin D in cold climates where you get very little sun they should allow and pay for more than 800 units per day as our doctors recommend more than that amount each day.

Original review: March 16, 2019

We had Anthem Medicare Coverage for several years. They were very accommodating in many ways. What turned us off was their constant phone calls of different types of physicals and exams we should be involved in. It got to a point, where we were hearing from them daily and would just ignore the calls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: May 23, 2019

If you have a massive heart attack and are told by your doctor you need to wear a Zoll life vest if you are in danger of have a sudden cardiac arrest after you leave the hospital - forget about Anthem paying any part of it!! They will deny the claim. The Zoll rep told me Anthem always denied and usually denied the appeal. Prepare to pay $2,950 A MONTH out of pocket! And usually the patient needs to wear it for 3 months. Thanks for the added stress Anthem!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Obtained dental insurance through Anthem but was never told that myself and my family would be penalized for not having coverage through our prior insurance company for 12 consecutive months. I went without dental care for years years because I made sure my 5 children’s dental needs were met. I finally got insurance and they are denying my claims for major dental work due to the fact that I didn’t have insurance prior to for long enough. So I need to wait 12 months to have work done. I had a root canal done 2 days ago and have a major infection because I waited too long to have it taken care of. Then I find out nothing's covered!

Original review: May 15, 2019

They don't pay my bills. When I call they say they are waiting for updated information. When I ask what, their response is "Do you have other insurance." I tell them nothing has changed in the last 8 years. Then they say wait 10 days to check again.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have been sick since February with GI issues. I missed a lot of work in March and had to file for FMLA. Anthem has denied multiple medications prescribed by my GI because 'they aren't on the FDA approved list.' Anthem has also started to not cover my Primary care physician's visits. I now owe >$200 to my PCP because Anthem states I've exceeded my maximum of 1 office visit per year (this was my first visit this year.) I have had them for 5 years. Something changed in 2019 and Anthem is TERRIBLE now. I am trying to see if I can get a different insurer during open enrollment in December, because Anthem has now proven to me that they care more about their $$$ than my healthcare.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Filed a claim and they received it on 3/09/19, processed and approved on 4/12, supposedly mailed check on 4/16. It's 4/26 and still have not received, their "customer care (what a laugh)". First expect it in 7-10 days, now they say 10 days exclusive of holiday and weekends and to expect it on 4/30/19. They want you to believe it takes 15 days in America to mail something and it be delivered. There are better more responsive health insurers out there, I advise stay away from this company. Run don't walk away.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Satisfied with the choice of MDs. But plan options are limited & expensive. High deductible plans are main options, & have seriously impacted our discretionary income. Plan cost (deductible & mo cost easily take 20% of income now).

Original review: April 17, 2019

Good so far. I haven’t been to doctors in network yet. Will have better opinion later. I have nothing more to say about this at this time. Thanks for sending me the list of providers to look through. Thanks again.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My no deductible hospital cost ended up costing me $16k for simple removal of the metal from my ankle surgery! Unbelievable! Go with straight MediCare. My doctor charged me $15.00. The Anesthesiologist accepted what they were paid, but not the good religious hospital. Very charitable to this person on a fixed income.

Original review: April 15, 2019

When I have to call Anthem their hold times are way... too long! When you finally get somebody to answer you, 9 times out of 10 you have to get transferred. Next year will look at other options! I'm stuck with them for the rest of this year!

Original review: April 14, 2019

In my area they don't cover any hospital other than those under Mercy Health Partners. None of six doctors I have seen under the Mercy system have been helpful or very attentive, more worried about getting as many patients through as possible. In fact when my mother thought she was having a heart attack, the doctors and nurses were great, but as soon as it turned out to be a gallstone they became dismissive and rude. However that's the hospitals, Anthem, bearing the fact that they don't cover emergency visits unless you are literally on death's doorstep has been alright. The on call nurses are well trained, listen to what's going on and give sound advice, they are the entire reason I don't completely tank the company.

The website Anthem uses to tell you what doctors are A) on their plan and B) if they are taking new patients is NOT kept up to date, when finally found a doctor with the specifications I needed I called to set up an appointment and was told that she wasn't taking new patients, the woman on the phone however did direct me to a doctor who was and asked if I wanted a male or female doctor. The Anthem website in general is hard to navigate to find what you want and need.

Original review: April 12, 2019

ANTHEM HEALTH INSURANCE PLANS STINK. I currently pay $179.80 a week. Yes a week for my wife and I through my employer's plan. That is $9334.00 a year and then I pay the first $1000.00 in any services. My wife also must pay her 1st $1000.00 in services. On top of that they refuse to pay for a prescription on medicine I have been taking for years to help nerve pain in my legs and feet and insist I take a cheaper drug that does offer me the relief. I now have severe pain in my feet and it makes it hard for me to walk. So due to profits over helping being their being their motto I now have a handicap parking permit.

I hurt my back last week and since it's not getting better, I went to my Doctor yesterday and then to the Pharmacy and guess what? They won't pay anything towards the muscle relaxer I need. I guess the $34.50 for the 10 day supply I paid is way too much to ask of them since I pay such a small premium to them every week. If my employer chooses to keep Anthem next fall, I am going to take early retirement, lose some of my social security benefits and just get Insurance through the Government website. THANKS ANTHEM FOR BEING SUCH A RIPOFF.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Can only converse by e-mail. They will not talk to you in person unless they want some money. At 28,000 dollars a year cost plus a 5,000 dollar deductible and 3,000 deductible on prescription no dental.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Anthem has the best network of doctors and hospitals, and they pay claims in a timely manner. The only problem is that the premiums are very expensive and the deductible is also very high to keep the premiums down. Overall if you can afford the best, go with Anthem.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Insurance companies can’t be controlled. They take advantage of you no matter what. I for one had a policy and because it was too good in coverage they kept raising the prices every year. My policy was once $208.00 per month, after a bout with cancer they kept raising it until it was $1687.00 a month yes a month. I asked why so high (answer; we don’t offer that policy anymore). I could not afford it anymore so I lowered my policy from great coverage to Bronx garbage coverage. Note: for a short time I was paying $450.00 a month with a $7000.00 deductible. That same policy today 7 years later is now $1078.00 a month with a $7000.00/$9000.00 deductible, with less coverage. NOTE: all on Obama’s watch. I can’t afford my insurance as it is now but they are all the same crooks with different names. Something needs to be done but good luck.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I like the Anthem Blue Cross. Had them for 15 yrs. I would say go with them. You pay more but they pay well. Love their customer service as well. Hubby has Care First Blue Choice not as good as mine. I pay more money but it worth it.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We've been with BC/BS for over 40 years and while occasionally complicated, depending on the contact, they have been reliable, prompt and patient. Even when shifting within the company from Excellus to Anthem the service didn't miss a beat.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Works for my family. Generally good. To overlay dependent on web & electronics sometimes. Often times representative can explain things or help with problems that a website cannot. Particular program that I am under (FEHB) has proven to be consistent and good.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Ripoff company. Increased coverage without warning. Impossible to get coverage in Colorado now. This company and its so called health options are a really really bad joke on the insured. They should make more options and have better deductions for everyone who is insured with their company.

Original review: April 7, 2019

They substantially reduce the OTC benefits, the dental and eyeglasses. I have Medicare and Medicaid dual due to a stroke but paid into Medicare for 30 years. I get CDPAS and they sent last year's renewal to the fiduciary and took a week to correct it so a week's pay was lost, then they were nasty about their error to me. They messed up on my wheelchair repair last year and it took 3 months to get it back. I had to rent my own until then. Nasty then too. Being replaced next month.

Original review: April 6, 2019

The website is never up to date, you waste time calling physicians who do not accept your insurance or taking new patients. It is also difficult to receive an estimate bill prior to treatment. You're stuck with treatment, visit and medical payments assuming your insurance will pay. In order to service clients Anthem should offer a pre-authorization statement to clients.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Had them for 2018 coverage. The medical coverage was decent but RX through Express Scripts was terrible. Had many disputes about coverage and pricing. Did end up receiving refunds on overcharges after much hassle and contacting CEO of Anthem and Express Scripts.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This carrier is a hands own company. Most of the customer service reps are well trained and will ensure that your questions or concerns are addressed. They will even engage in third party communication while on the call. They always secure your information in case there is a disconnect or the call is dropped.

Original review: April 4, 2019

They dropped Wellstar in Feb. without notifying me. NEVER would have signed up if I knew they were going to do that. Broke my wrist in 3 places. Spent a week on the phone with an ER splint trying to find a PCP who would: A- would take this “ notorious” insurance. B- Would take me as a new client. C- Would give me a referral to get my wrist set! Did I mention the PCP they assigned me on my card was: A: Not take this insurance? B- Not taking new clients? C- Refused to give me a referral because he was not the physician “on call” for the ER?

Finally paid to get my wrist set by myself. I think a week is long enough. Spoke to so many “customer service” reps who continually gave me wrong information and outdated lists of doctors. Once asked to speak to a supervisor named Virginia who was clearly not concerned with my broken wrist and who told me her supervisor was “in a meeting.” When I told her I would wait, she hung up. I have an insurance company that I can’t use, whom I can’t call. Oh. Wait. I do get to pay $527.62 a month and all my doctor's bills though. So there’s that.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I went to my Osteo-Arthritis Dr. to get my routine knee injections, they are done every 6 to 12 months... to buy more time before I require knee replacement. (you should only do your knees once and at 50 it's kind of early) the ** drug works. It makes me feel like my knees are 15 again. I need to exercise to keep my A1C down due to Diabetes. When I went in for my routine injection, I was denied coverage because my argument for needing this routine service was not justified or I couldn't prove that it actually worked.

I was so shocked as I pay half of the very expensive drug, it's about $1200 a shot per knee, and they pay half... I can't believe after paying a $2000 premium a month for myself and daughter and never requiring more than inexpensive ** that they deny me, when I really needed them to be there for me, they take and don't give back... I've lost all confidence in them, one girl decided to leave me on hold forever rather than escalate my call to a higher tier. I can't believe they let me down. They mentioned in my denial that I wasn't covered from 3/1 to 5/1 for any ** services, hoping the clock will run out May 1st on my COBRA. Be aware they will say NO before they say yes. Do all your homework before getting expensive prescriptions!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Anthem has been very easy to work with. The few times I have had to call regarding EOB issues, they were resolved on the first call and didn't have to spend an hour dealing with the problem. All of my doctors accept Anthem and they are very satisfied with them.

Anthem expert review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

• Best for: Students, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information