3.4/5 (2666 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Anthem

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Anthem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

Anthem 2023 OTC Catalog offers less than half the products their 2022 catalog had. Most If not all the products we can NOW choose from are low-quality generic knockoffs. America is being flooded with not only unvetted 3rd world people, but along with that PLAN, Anthem is now intentionally trying to force us into "Cuba" style expectations of our EARNED retirement benefits. The comparison between what was offered in 2022s colorful, array of proven and trusted USABLE products to their NEW 2023 pathetic black, white & grey GENERIC eyesore would be laughable if it wasn't so insulting to AMERICAN CITIZENS... I'm changing my Medicare plan ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

Was prescribed treatment from my Nowcare physician that will end up taking ALMOST TWO weeks to get, for a bad recurring cold sore. My PcP and Nowcare physician have already approved this medicine but Anthem hasn't. I first visited Nowcare about this condition on MLK birthday, 16Jan2023. When I spoke with their pharmacist over the phone, they apologized for the delay and told me what I needed to do to expedite my medicine but by the time I get it in my possession it won't be until next week (23-27Jan) sometime.

She even offered my to file a grievance BUT: Their grievance process takes 30 DAYS, she said. I have NEVER had issues like this with any other healthcare provider. I am a retired Navy Veteran and for the most part I try to tough things out. But when it is a recurring condition that I've sought treatment for before from Anthem it makes it difficult to trust them. Right now? I don't trust Anthem.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I have had great experience with Anthem up until 2023. They now treat retired social security people like second-class citizens. They have a program where they allow you to spend $75.00 every quarter for medical supplements, such as toothpaste, ** and pain relievers. It was set up with WalMart who delivered it to your door. Very good products. Now they have some company out of Florida that have no brand name products and what they offer is useless as the day is long. I wish that I had went with United Health Care.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2023

I have had a couple of Medical PPO Insurance Companies over the Years. Our large Aerospace Company recently switched our Healthcare Coverage over to Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield (was United Healthcare previously). All last Year I have had nothing but problems with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. Takes forever to process claims, and they keep denying valid, complete Medical Claims in Error. This company/organization is completely incompetent. On top of this, I am paying $499. a month for this shabby service. My advice... Run as fast as you can from Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

Anthem BCBS HIP has cost me 5 days of work (again) due to prior authorization abuse for a medication I have been on for a decade. I'm sure they would rather I die then cost them $56 a month which is less than I contribute monthly just to have Rx coverage.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I came down with strep throat and was prescribed 5 ** tablets. They only allow 3 per month without a prior authorization?!?! THIS IS AN ANTIBIOTIC!!! This is the first medicine I have been prescribed in 2022, and it's the end of November. I have given these people thousands of dollars in premiums and they won't even give me my medicine. How do you put a 3-pill cap on a course of antibiotics???? Now the pharmacy won't sell me the 2 other pills because of it being a "duplicate prescription" and the doctor won't write another script because they already wrote one. So here I am on day 4 with no day 4 or day 5 pills and no answers and no one will help me. I am IRATE!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

My husband has been with Anthem MediBlue Plus (HMO) since 10/2017. I have been with them since 2/2021. This is a Medicare Advantage Plan that we both signed up for on the Medicare.gov website. The EOC, SOB, and benefit plan information on Medicare.gov all state Urgent Care is a $30.00 copay. On 5/2/22 my husband, and I, went to an in network urgent care provider, 17 miles from our home for his plugged ears. He was told it looked like he had a slight infection, possible fluid buildup in his ears. Was prescribed 2 medications to clear it up. Anthem sent us the EOB around 7/1/22. They paid nothing toward this urgent care visit. They are saying our share is $80.80, more than double what is stated in the EOC, SOB, and benefit info for this plan on Medicare.gov. This was a walk in urgent care clinic, not a hospital emergency room. The location was 17 miles from our home.

After numerous contacts with Anthem, by phone, email, filing grievances, they have not fixed this. Anthem is ripping off Seniors on their Medicare Advantage Plan benefits, by charging more than double the copay for Urgent Care. Ever since this company appointed Gail K Boudreaux CEO in 2017 their member services has gotten worse with each year. Their member services reps don't know what they are doing. They don't have enough of them, you can hang on the phone for hours. Their website is antiquated, you can't conduct all your business on it, and are forced to call member services, hang on the phone forever, and get reps that don't know anything, and solve nothing.

Anthem is ripping off Seniors! This used to be a good health insurance provider. Since 2017 Anthem has gotten so bad. If they do not fix this issue with their urgent care copay which all documents state is $30.00, not $80.00. We will no longer have Anthem as our Medicare Advantage Plan. Anthem is a Senior Citizen Ripoff insurance provider.

Original review: July 26, 2022

With open enrollment right around the corner, my recommendation is to stay away from Anthem. They sell you a contract and then look for little loopholes to deny your claims. I have been fighting with them over a 35.00 claim for months. I have sent at least 2 appeals and they keep changing their stand on every appeal. Thankfully, I am very versed in reading a contract. Their EOB contract has them dead to rights, but they continue to deny the claim. Medicare doesn't seem to care what they do. The State of Ohio has filed a complaint against them, but they continue to deny the claim. In my opinion, they are a scam artist organization that needs to be dealt with by the government.

Original review: June 21, 2022

I went to 3 different pharmacies that told me my insurance won't cover antigen covid tests. Most insured people in the US can received up to 8 antigen tests per month. I have been on the phone with Anthem for over an hour trying to figured it out, they keep giving me the runaround, have made me speak to 5 different people. So far, no one has answers. One person told me the pharmacy I went to should cover it, I ask her to call that pharmacy and she told me she can't get through. All lies.

Now the fifth person is saying it's covered but there's a copay. I didn't say anything about a copay and neither did the pharmacies, the pharmacies were straight to the point that my insurance will not cover the tests and I need to pay out of pocket. The Biden-Harris administration issued an order in January 2022 that all insurance companies must cover covid testing. It's been half the day, I'm sicker than can be and I still can't get a test or any answers from anyone at Anthem. Worst coverage, worst service.

Original review: June 16, 2022

"SCAM" --- Anthem Health Insurance is a Bait and Switch SCAM... TV commercials are Hollywood designed to be attractive rather than helpful to those looking for a Quality Healthcare... If you Value your Health…Stay away, FAR WAY, from “Anthem” Health Insurance…BEWARE of the SCAMS..!!

Anthem author review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information