Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.99/5

Anthem Call Now Toll Free (855) 265-7192 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Anthem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I have had a Silver Pathways Enhanced plan for the past 4 years and it has never failed me. It's has been the exact coverage for what I need at a price I cannot argue with. I've seen some 1 & 2 star reviews on this & while not wanting to negate other people's experience I have had nothing but excellent, cost efficient care with Anthem. I would recommend them to EVERYONE! I honestly don't understand why anybody would be unhappy with them. I was in the hospital this past year & it was 100% covered after I met my deductible & out of pocket max. My RX's the same. The doctors in network are amazing. I'll never switch, even if I was to find a cheaper plan. Love them!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

My company is self-insured and uses Anthem to process claims. They have helped me a lot in straightening things out when the providers messed up the service codes. I had a big issue with Cologuard that Anthem resolved and paid in full! Website is very manageable and helpful. Customer service is professional and courteous!

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I have been doing my medical visits virtually and have had no problems. Visits have been mostly on time and no billing issues. All follow up visits and summaries have been easy to access. Changing my address and finding new local doctors that are accepting new patients has been the only challenge.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I will have to brag on Anthem for their “Fathering In Policy”. Somehow I didn’t receive or never seen a bill for approximately 2 months (I had an address Change and believe that was the culprit) so when I finally noticed my insurance had been cancelled. I called them promptly and the gentleman helping me was so helpful and got my insurance reinstated. It has been as though it never lapses. Such a blessing!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

It seems easier to share reports on when insurance companies get things all fouled up, but how often do we take the time to let others know when they do their jobs well? Perhaps not often enough! Over the years there's been much to complain about when it comes to third party health insurers, and I've made my opinions known in that regard. Now it's time for me to formally recognize improvements in service that I've noticed since the onset of the pandemic.

First, Blue Cross made it rather easy to have telephone consultations ("Visits") with the doctor without having to go through a lot of rigamarole to have that service reimbursed. Several months ago I needed some expensive diagnostic testing and apparently the doctor's office and hospital were able to handle the pre-cert smoothly enough that I didn't even have to get involved in contacting the insurer!

I encountered an issue with our pharmacy benefits program (not managed by Blue Cross) and a Blue Cross telephone representative was kind enough to initiate a 3-way call to the PBM. Given some of the stories I've heard about how long and how difficult it can be to contact that one particular PBM, my guess is that the Blue Cross agent probably saved me at least a couple of hours of work by initiating that call on my behalf. I was also pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to wait too very long (less than 15 minutes!) on hold to speak to the Blue Cross agent. Every health plan member deserves to receive that kind of prompt, courteous service!

The reason I have rated Blue Cross only 4 stars rather than 5 has to do with a corporate policy and how their telephone queue operates. Whereas many health care sector businesses are open on Saturdays, their call center (for members) is not. Furthermore, questions must be answered/data must be input into their telephone system before you even get the 'courtesy' of receiving a recorded message that tells you they are not open and says 'call back later.' If it's a weekend, wouldn't just make more sense to play that recording upfront? So many businesses operate their phone messaging system that way! Perhaps they don't want to do that because they are data mining and monitoring all the calls that come in, whether or not anyone is there to actually pick up the phone.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I got a letter from Empire stating that they will no longer cover for my medication. I pay them $360 a month. Is time to have Medicare for all and close them down for good. From now on I will get Medicare part D for $ 35.00 a month. They donate millions of $ to the Democrat so they can't pass Medicare for all. They don't give damn about the patients.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

I am in good health and finally listened to Anthem's hype about getting well-checks/preventative care. I included a doctor's visit (paid) and a Pap smear with an OB-GYN (unpaid), all in-network. They have refused to pay the doctor for the pap, even though it had been 4 years since my last one. I have been fighting this ruling since last February. Because of this, and my age (as this was through my employer) I have dropped them as my health insurance company. After 16 years of paying this company a huge amount of money monthly for very few claims, I will make sure that I will not be using them again. Time for Universal Health Care and the demise of for-profit health insurance companies.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

They have wide acceptance, my providers say reasonably fast pay, I think they have good documentation, they support an efficient claims challenge process. The premiums are reasonable. Whenever I've had contact with customer service, it has been efficient albeit a long "on hold" time occasionally.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Pretty good benefits package, customer service personnel are helpful, easy to navigate website. You can easily find all information on your flexible spending and regular health care accounts via your phone or computer.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Never had any problem or issues. Usually take care of booking issues right away. Never received a bill that wasn't covered. Very detail oriented company. Employees are always caring and respectful.

Anthem author review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information