Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

Anthem Call Now Toll Free (855) 265-7192 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Anthem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

After having breast cancer surgery and radiation, I had a mountain of bills for my portion of the co-pay and I had several versions of some of them. I wanted to make sure that I was not being over billed and over paying my co-pays with my yearly out of pocket expenses. I called customer service and spoke to Sharina, she went through all 15 bills with me and we found 2 that had not made a claim but they had billed me directly. Since I met my yearly out of pocket costs I wasn't responsible. The doctors' offices would have to make a claim if they wanted to be paid. I am so thankful for Sharina for taking the time to help me through this mountain of bills and get a better understanding so I can let these doctors know I don't owe them any money.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I love my supplement insurance. It pays most of my prescriptions. I don't pay a premium every month. I just love my insurance - can't live without it. I don't have to worry about any bills or where the money is coming from.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Very good service. They took time with me to discuss plans even when I had not made a decision to go with them. Their plan was reasonable and even with a separate drug plan I paid less than the Advantage plan I had considered charged.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Anthem Blue Cross called me to verify they could improve my coverage. She was correct and receive more than expected. I am getting $120 for other over the counter items such as vitamins, hot water bottle, BP machine, & **.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

No co-pay for PCP, and an over the counter medication card value of $75.00 quarterly has really kept me happy with this plan. Add to that there is no added cost in the plan to speak of. We have told others about this plan, and compared to their own - they are impressed with the coverage.

Original review: July 1, 2020

Very unhappy with Anthem claims. I was held responsible for thousands of dollars of medical bills which Anthem should have covered. They provided the doctor on their website as "in network," then refused to cover her bills. My doctor has also indicated that Anthem does not cover standard treatment that most other insurance companies do. Stay far away from Anthem.

Original review: June 16, 2020

Wife was hospitalized after minor knee surgery with a serious life threatening infection. After stabilizing she was transferred to inpatient physical rehab. Rehab was approved by Anthem. After one day in rehab it was decided she needed second surgery. After surgery transferred back to hospital for two days surgical recovery. Was going back to rehab but Anthem withdrew rehab approval. Doctors were very upset. Said they had never seen a patient treated like this. No choice but to send her to nursing home/short term rehab. But again, denied. Had to bring her home. Wouldn't wish this lousy company on my worst enemy.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I am the advocate for a family member who was hospitalized for almost three months for severe depression with Catatonia. She lost the ability to speak, eat, and walk. She was unresponsive to standard treatments. She was moved back and forth between inpatient psych facility Langley Porter (the best on the west coast) and the affiliated UCSF hospital next door, where some of her needs could be better met (iv's, etc). Her bills were almost a million dollars, but with immediate write offs due to Anthem's negotiated contracts. She had two separate bills: One for the regular hospital and one for the mental hospital. The regular hospital bill was largely paid for, with a relatively small amount left to pay. The mental hospital bill, however, was only 72% paid for, with the other 28% requiring payment.

My family member had been slowly making progress in the mental hospital, with electro-convulsive treatment (ECT), recovering from both catatonia and severe depression, as measured in part by ongoing PHQ scores. Anthem's medical director had been denying payments for some of her treatments, but Langley Porter had appealed these denials and obtained payment, as they are, after all, the experts. My family member was ultimately discharged with a PHQ score of 14, abnormal, suggesting moderate to moderate-to-severe depression. She was sleeping constantly, eating little, suffering significant memory lapses, and unable to correctly self-administer her medications. Still, she was much better.

Discharge was difficult since it was unsafe to be home alone. To avoid a stepdown facility (and all associated costs to Anthem), I took over her cares. I came from Europe to stay with her. It is a two day trip to get to California and I was in constant contact with her Langley Porter team, planning exactly when to pick her up. I did my due diligence, arrived, and took over. I was in her home for over a month and a half, as this is how long it took to recover and be safe on her own (just barely). Even so, Anthem denied payment of her last two days of (mental) hospitalization, leaving her with a $33,000 bill which is now in collections. How can this be OK?

Original review: May 18, 2020

My wife and I have Anthem insurance. I recently (March) turned 65. Without alerting us, they split our accounts and then promptly charged my wife for 3 months. No explanation. Turns out, they decided the money that I'd paid (on their bills) would only be used for me (again, their decision, not ours - nor were we informed of this). So I had a credit and her, a huge deficit! When I complained, I kept hearing that this is the way it is done and that my previous employer should have told me they were switching us (my former employer said it's up to Anthem). THEN THE FUN BEGAN. In the next five weeks, we have seen SIX DIFFERENT BILLING AMOUNTS! Every day or two, there's a different amount listed in their 'secure' site. Talked to a supervisor and I thought we had it resolved. Then three days later, different amounts from what the supervisor (Ms. Patterson) said. Again, I contacted and, after a week, still no response.

FINALLY, we see on their message site that they've reduced my wife's amount to less than what we'd been told. Rolling my eyes, I paid it. Five days later, I go online and it says we both still owe for the next month (although I can see it's gone through my bank) AND there is yet a new amount listed for my wife! No idea how they can stay in business: are they really that incompetent? All of this is in addition to the numerous ignored messages and/or messages where the agent hadn't either read the entire message or didn't look into it thoroughly. INCOMPETENT AND UNPROFESSIONAL.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I have been on the panel with Anthem as a mental health provider for 4 years and they refuse to increase my rate. Their customer service is horrendous. I have to call several times and usually request a supervisor because the reps do not appear to know what they are doing. They provide inaccurate information at times, regarding client's insurance plans.

During COVID-19, they promised to cover all client copays while using the telehealth option but this was a lie. Many of the therapists in CT are still waiting to be paid for the past month because Anthem can't seem to get it together. I want to leave the panel but more than half of my clients have Anthem so I feel stuck as a provider. They need to revamp their entire program with how they work with providers. I am appalled by their system and more disgusted that they are a billion dollar company and refusing to give rate increases, especially when the standard of living increases every year. Every year, they increase monthly insurance premiums between $100-150 but claim that they cannot provide a rate increase? This doesn't make sense to me as a provider or as a previous consumer.

Anthem author review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information