4.0/5 (1439 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Anthem

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Anthem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Very fantastic insurance policy.it has paid for everything my husband has had. He has been hospitalized several times in the past & has some more procedures coming up this year 2021. They have helped so much. The price of the policy is up there in price, but it is worth paying the cost of the insurance. He has Medicare and Medicaide also that covers the hospitalizations and procedures and doctors appointments.. It just a very good supplement for medicare.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I don't know if they are offering Anthem Plan F in your state, but I've had some medical bills over $100,000.00 and I never paid a penny out of pocket. It's so good that I have my premiums paid automatically every month to make sure it never lapses. I recently had a series of tests--about 10 of them--very exhaustive, and I never was billed a penny.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I have had a Silver Pathways Enhanced plan for the past 4 years and it has never failed me. It's has been the exact coverage for what I need at a price I cannot argue with. I've seen some 1 & 2 star reviews on this & while not wanting to negate other people's experience I have had nothing but excellent, cost efficient care with Anthem. I would recommend them to EVERYONE! I honestly don't understand why anybody would be unhappy with them. I was in the hospital this past year & it was 100% covered after I met my deductible & out of pocket max. My RX's the same. The doctors in network are amazing. I'll never switch, even if I was to find a cheaper plan. Love them!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I will have to brag on Anthem for their “Fathering In Policy”. Somehow I didn’t receive or never seen a bill for approximately 2 months (I had an address Change and believe that was the culprit) so when I finally noticed my insurance had been cancelled. I called them promptly and the gentleman helping me was so helpful and got my insurance reinstated. It has been as though it never lapses. Such a blessing!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

It seems easier to share reports on when insurance companies get things all fouled up, but how often do we take the time to let others know when they do their jobs well? Perhaps not often enough! Over the years there's been much to complain about when it comes to third party health insurers, and I've made my opinions known in that regard. Now it's time for me to formally recognize improvements in service that I've noticed since the onset of the pandemic.

First, Blue Cross made it rather easy to have telephone consultations ("Visits") with the doctor without having to go through a lot of rigamarole to have that service reimbursed. Several months ago I needed some expensive diagnostic testing and apparently the doctor's office and hospital were able to handle the pre-cert smoothly enough that I didn't even have to get involved in contacting the insurer!

I encountered an issue with our pharmacy benefits program (not managed by Blue Cross) and a Blue Cross telephone representative was kind enough to initiate a 3-way call to the PBM. Given some of the stories I've heard about how long and how difficult it can be to contact that one particular PBM, my guess is that the Blue Cross agent probably saved me at least a couple of hours of work by initiating that call on my behalf. I was also pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to wait too very long (less than 15 minutes!) on hold to speak to the Blue Cross agent. Every health plan member deserves to receive that kind of prompt, courteous service!

The reason I have rated Blue Cross only 4 stars rather than 5 has to do with a corporate policy and how their telephone queue operates. Whereas many health care sector businesses are open on Saturdays, their call center (for members) is not. Furthermore, questions must be answered/data must be input into their telephone system before you even get the 'courtesy' of receiving a recorded message that tells you they are not open and says 'call back later.' If it's a weekend, wouldn't just make more sense to play that recording upfront? So many businesses operate their phone messaging system that way! Perhaps they don't want to do that because they are data mining and monitoring all the calls that come in, whether or not anyone is there to actually pick up the phone.

Original review: July 15, 2021

I have a dental policy with Anthem. I had a dependent for a few years and then I inactivated him. Anthem continued to charge me for the dependent for 5 more months. I called a few times, each time I called I had to wait on hold, then communicate endlessly with the automatic phone system, then transferred to different departments, and then hung up on. It was impossible to reach a person who actually said they were the right person and they will take care of the problem. Finally I gave up and cancelled my automatic payment and will be looking for a new insurance. This is the worst insurance company I have ever had to deal with.

Original review: July 13, 2021

I have had all kinds of insurances but this one so far does not pay anything. I end up paying 160 for a doctor visit. They paid nothing. This is terrible. My husband pretty much paid his ER visit himself as well. No coverage for anything and you will end up paying all his bills. DO NOT GET THIS COVERAGE!!!

Original review: July 8, 2021

Today I spoke to an Anthem Representative, Tionda, and she went above and beyond to inform me on everything I had questions about. She went even further to be so kind to explain thoroughly what I was lacking knowledge on. Wow! She was amazing and I just hope others can have such a great customer service experience as I did.

Original review: May 23, 2021

I am new to this insurer and used to good service. I came to this provider under the mistaken belief I could get good service at a fair price. I have had undisclosed costs and many mistakes from the company which cost me time and money. Unfortunately I have to wait till the enrollment period to get a better provider and will switch the FIRST day I am able to do so.

Original review: April 30, 2021

So every time my doctor prescribes a medicine it has to get approval letter has to be done for my doctor. They suggest a call. When my doctor calls they're on hold for long periods of time. Nobody answers so nurse can't stay on hold forever so prescription doesn't get approved. It's easier to go to Good rx then deal with all their red tape that they do on purpose. Was in an accident and had to be life flighted. Had to appeal 3 or 4 times to finally get them to pay the bill that they were already contracted to pay all over 30 miles. Worst insurance company I've ever dealt with. I really miss Medical mutual.

Anthem author review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information