Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.36/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Anthem Reviews

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

After having breast cancer surgery and radiation, I had a mountain of bills for my portion of the co-pay and I had several versions of some of them. I wanted to make sure that I was not being over billed and over paying my co-pays with my yearly out of pocket expenses. I called customer service and spoke to Sharina, she went through all 15 bills with me and we found 2 that had not made a claim but they had billed me directly. Since I met my yearly out of pocket costs I wasn't responsible. The doctors' offices would have to make a claim if they wanted to be paid. I am so thankful for Sharina for taking the time to help me through this mountain of bills and get a better understanding so I can let these doctors know I don't owe them any money.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We like our plan. We don't like our hospital choices. Little disappointed with some of the charges for generic drugs. Our doctors are great. We're very happy with no premium. Takes a while to get statements from other medical places, even though they have a copay. Always afraid that they will not pay for something that we thought was included...

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received a bill from a Doctor's accounting firm in another state regarding my wife's hospital stay approx. 3 months early. I contacted Anthem via telephone for an explanation. Anthems representative put me on hold while she contacted the billing party, then allowed me to join a 3 way meeting. This issue was resolved to all parties' satisfaction. I was very happy the way this was handled by Anthem.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's expensive for a senior but no worse than other plans. I recently had a cataract op on both eyes. Total cost $31000 which Medicare & Anthem covered most of it but my friend in England had the same op (privately - not on the National Health) for about $3000 - i.e. 90% cheaper. How come it costs ten times more here.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Good policy for the price I pay. Easy to read statement of benefits. Easy access to a representative if I have a question about my policy. For people who require vitamin D in cold climates where you get very little sun they should allow and pay for more than 800 units per day as our doctors recommend more than that amount each day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Very poor customer service and lack of transparency. Representatives are not versed thoroughly in company policies. I received conflicting information after speaking to three different representatives all in the same day. After conferencing in with the Healthcare Marketplace and Blue Cross twice and being promised a specific dollar amount premium considering our tax credit. Blue Cross continued to bill us for a much higher premium ($88 more). I continued to call them for several weeks to try to understand why this was the case. However, they continued to insist we had not paid our previous balances in full and therefore had incurred a balance of $272.

After being on the phone with them for an hour (each time, over the course of different dates) they were still unable to explain from which dates we owed them a balance. Especially since I had payment information proving we had paid the premium we had been billed for in full for each of those months. Very disappointed with the lack of thoroughness and being put in the position to be forced to justify we were up to date on all of our previous bills. Such an expensive and large company should keep better billing records. This case is still pending and we have yet to receive a resolution. Needless to say I do not recommend this company!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

After paying $300+ per month for a private insurance plan for my son I am appalled by the lack of customer service. First, I purchased the insurance plan and had it retrodated to his dob to cover his $6,500 hospital bill for delivery. My portion was covered under my insurance. Unfortunately the hospital contacted me to tell me that Anthem will not cover the delivery. I asked Anthem to file an appeal, and I was again denied. Unfortunately the person who helped me set up the insurance lied about what services were covered. Now I owe $6,500 to the hospital, AND I was lucky enough to pay Anthem to do nothing except send me harassing phone calls from their outsourced offices. Corruption at its finest. Thank you Anthem for being the perfect example of corporate greed.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I'm extremely displeased with my Anthem experience over the past several months. We've been notified several times since summer 2019 that Anthem and NGHS, our health care network that encompasses ALL of my entire family's Dr's, specialists, labs, imaging centers, urgent cares, outpatient facilities, and hospitals, were in negotiations to renew their contract for in network services and the deadline to reach an agreement was September 30th. We contacted Anthem several times pleading to speak with someone regarding the negotiations and only received canned responses from people who had no say in the negotiations. In the end Anthem and NGHS did not reach an agreement to renew their contract.

Now mid plan year ALL of our health care needs must either be moved to other more distant and more crowded providers or we will incur Every single cost at out of network rates. This is completely unacceptable and shows no concern for members health care needs whatsoever. As soon as I'm able to, I will be leaving Anthem altogether. I refuse to be forced to change the trusted network of providers and facilities that I've taken years to develop in a way that works for my family because of financial greed.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Anthem is no help when trying to get a procedure approved or an appeal sent in to review/status of appeals. I am a 28 year old female who recently got married and was going to start a family. My sister passed away in July 2018 from sudden cardiac arrest at only 31 years old. We did genetic testing and found out that I have the same genetic mutation as her and am also Type 2 diabetic. I have 2 cardiac doctors that both agreed that i needed to get an ICD implanted. My doctors both recommended that I do not do any cardio or start a family until this procedure was done. Both doctors sent in multiple preauthorizations that were denied and appeals for them, also denied. Both doctors when trying to call and get a status on the appeals/preauthorizations were told that they (Anthem) did not receive or could not find them.

Last month I submitted my own appeal for the surgery. 14 days after Anthem told me they received it I got a letter stating I missed a number in the Member Id and that I needed to fix it and resubmit the request. I did so that day and called to make sure that the process was not going to start all over again. I was told that it would not and I would be getting a decision within the time frame when I first submitted the request. I am currently 4 days past when I should have received a response. I called Anthem and spent almost an hour on the phone with them only for them to tell me that they cannot find my appeal and they would call me back. This has been a back and forth ordeal with Anthem since November of 2018 along with not wanting to cover genetic testing/MRI/EKG and other tests.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Site asks for new security code but when sends it and you enter it and are told never to have to enter again after awhile you suddenly get logged out and then it asks you for code again so you enter it again only to have it tell you it isn't valid and you have to start all over again. Had to do this 4xs, wasted 2 hrs and finally am giving up and looking for another health provider!

Anthem expert review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

• Best for: Students, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information