Anthem

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When I lived in NY, I was covered under the Empire Plan with Anthem. Then I moved to Colorado mid 2016. I then called Anthem in 2017 so that my tax form could be mailed to my new address in CO. At this moment, I have been transferred about 5 times and have spent over 2 hours on the phone between waiting and verifying information. The customer service is horrible, no one can answer any questions. This is INEXCUSABLE.

I'm fairly new to the Medicare medical insurance (one year on disability). I had two sleep studies done (one without machine, one with machine). I have sleep apnea. Both my parents had it and 5 siblings also. I was approved by Anthem where they will pay 80% of the cost of the machine and I'm responsible for the other 20% and monthly rental fees. I called to ask why this is not covered and I was told that if I want the machine I have to pay the 20% upfront and sign a lease. I ask the representative, "Why did I have to pay anything for a device that would keep me from passing away in my sleep?" Preventive copay on my plan is $0. Is not dying in my sleep without the machine not preventive (prevent me from dying)?

I ask the representative to please explain why I have this policy if my regular Medicare would pay the 80%. She became upset with me and actually hung up on me! I called Medicare and they said that they would look at the situation and probably cover the machine at 100%, since it's a life-threatening condition. Anthem did not want to hear that! They just told me (after I called and waited on hold another half hour) they will only pay the 80%! So, in other words they told me if I die in my sleep... it's too bad. When I first enrolled in their MediBlue plan I was told that this plan was to help cover the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay! They didn't say that it was replacing my Medicare with the same coverages! What a scam they have going on with us retired/disabled people.

This is a lousy health insurance coverage. First it started the first day or should I say the first month we signed up for this coverage. They did not have the correct number for verification of dental. My dental office end up charging me double because the insurance could not verify the right coverage that my son had, then later back in June 2016 they cancel my son's health insurance without notification and here we go all the way in February 2017 just found out that their system had cancelled his health insurance and we received a bill from the hospital stating that our insurance declined payment.

Then Anthem Blue Shield Blue Cross state it because my son payment at the bank was inefficient one-time their system automatically cancels your insurance without notice. Now they said their system they mailed us a letter. We never received a letter. Now he have to wait all the way until the end of this year to have health insurance. That mean the IRS is going to find him for no insurance.

I am highly pissed off at this company because now we're stuck with $1,000 hospital bill when my son was supposed to be covered. I'm noticing under these other reviews they've encountered a lot of people health insurance without any notice to the customer. That is not fair that we've been penalized for their systems. Be aware before you sign up with this company they don't know how to verify their benefits for providers to call if they have a hundred and one phone numbers and they do not give out the right phone numbers for verification. So now you're stuck with a bill they're making you responsible for. This is a lawsuit.

I chose Anthem BC-BS as my Medicare Supplement Provider, in late 2014: Premiums over time were: 2015: $130.70, 2016: $143.30, 2017: $178.25. I REPEATEDLY left Messages on the the Anthem Website ("Message Center") beginning in mid - December 2016, as I just simply grew weary of being left on hold for hours at a time - that is, once I finally wound my way through their looping "Phone Tree"! Essentially I wanted to know when the 2017 Premium would be and why I hadn't been billed, as usual, for the Dec 2016 and Jan 2017 Premiums. No answer to any of those Messages!

I eventually became aware that Anthem had "changed their Direct Payment Policy" without prior notice to me in writing. Unknowingly, I had come awfully close to having my Policy cancelled, as the aforementioned Direct Billing Change had resulted in my falling behind on my monthly Premiums (and which was one of the reasons I had messaged Anthem via their Website... to no avail)! I have since moved to AARP - UnitedHealthcare Medigap and haven't looked back. Goodbye Anthem and GOOD RIDDANCE!

It is a travesty that California allows Anthem BlueCross to get away with false communications while its residents have few options for health insurance! I was forced to choose a new provider (ours left CA) and chose Anthem based on being able to still visit one of my two local Palo Alto Medical Foundation locations. That said, we are amenable to selecting new primary care providers/practice locations. Upon trying to select a doctor, I was given only two choices accepting patients. Only one was a woman and she is too far away. This is unacceptable. I reside in the SF Bay Area where there should naturally be more options and I am paying an expensive monthly fee. I deserve reasonable choices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Switched to Anthem Blue Cross effective December 1, 2016. Since then everything medication I need requires pre-authorization, even meds I have been taking for years. Everything is a hassle. I injured my foot and have been hobbling around for weeks. Finally went to the doctor. He wanted me in a walking boot until they can get x-ray and MRI scheduled. Cannot get a walking boot without diagnosis which won't happen until x-ray and MRI. Is not the fact that I am in pain and hobbling around enough? If I was bleeding out would I need pre-auth for a band-aid? I don't understand this. There is obviously something wrong with my foot and I can't get a boot until they have figured out what it is. In the meantime, if it is a stress fracture, I am probably making it worse. I will definitely be high-tailing it from Anthem next open enrollment. Never again.

I had this insurance for 2016. When I tried to make my first payment for 2017, they told me that I wasn't in their computer system. They refused to do anything about this. I was on the phone for seven hours one day and several hours the next. I would be put on hold for over two hours, only for the phone to be answered by an idiot who would just say, "I don't know what to do. Talk to this other person I am transferring you to!" A "specialist" was supposed to call me today but never did. The enrollment period ended without me getting anyone on the phone who knew what to do. So much for having insurance this year. Unfortunately, they are the only company on the Texas health insurance marketplace, so I can't use anyone else.

There are 3 people in my family. Me, my husband and my son. All of us have signed up for Anthem through the healthcare marketplace ("HCM") which is a joke. There must be a disconnect between the HCM because each of us have a different story to tell. We used an insurance broker because we dont trust HCM. I have confirmations (in writing) for each of us. All 3 of us have been totally screwed up.

My husband paid for his insurance for January in December. He received a confirmation. We received a letter saying he had been canceled. After a 1 hour wait on hold we found out that the payment of AMEX was not accepted even though we received a confirmation. THERE WAS NO INDICATION THAT AMEX was not accepted. We called, we made another payment using a debit card. We had to call INDIA to get the username and password reset because their system totally sucks and does not track by name and ss #. We have paid the bill and have attempted to login since making the payment. We have now been on hold for 1 hour. Still no answer as to why it says there is no coverage for the person listed on the website login.

When calling the Tech support you go to india. When you go to india, they do not understand what you are asking and the sound level and quality is awful. We have had to hang up and call multiple times for the same thing. Yesterday their website was down. They should be embarrassed by the fact my husband goes to the doctor 1 time per year and gets a really cheap RX for cholesterol and pays $700 per month. What a travesty. This is terrible.

I signed up for a new plan in December. I received my bill from Anthem. I paid it in December. I also received new cards. I then receive a letter that says I did not pay my coverage. So after a .50 call with a nice American boy, I found out that anthem send me a bill for the wrong coverage and sent new cards for the wrong coverage. They sent me a refund and I am still trying to confirm my payment has been accepted because the login that I have to anthem does not match the new coverage I applied for. When I called INDIA they had no idea what was wrong and said I had to call Anthem again to sort out. My son has called to confirm his plan and his login is correct to the correct ID #. So go figure. Anthem is so screwed up. This is all caused by ACA. This must change.

I was so excited to finally get my own health insurance last year as a small business owner through an individual plan. But to my dismay, it's been a nightmare to get coverage. I can't trust Anthem with my healthcare needs for these reasons: I was on a PPO plan last year called "pathway PPO". This means preferred provider and that I get to choose my own doctors etc. But if I want Anthem to pay 100% I have to use their in-network doctors. That being said, Anthem's Doc Finder Tool is a joke and never works properly. After spending hours online and calling Anthem directly to try find specialist and an MRI facility, I was unsuccessful. Anthem provided a list of about 10 MRI facilities, but when I called each one down the list they said they don't take my plan because it's "pathway".

When I called Anthem back to dispute they said it's up to me to verify coverage and that it's really not guaranteed because the doctor's contracts change every month. In the end, I could not find an MRI facility within 40 miles of where I live! I live in a major metropolitan area where there should be many facilities. Having no car, it was impossible so I just gave up. I guess I will really never know if I have a tumor in my brain or not. I feel there should be a minimum requirement of healthcare providers offered within a certain radius. Also the contractual obligations should not be monthly, they should at least be yearly between the insurance company and the health care provider. What a disaster! What's the point of having an insurance if you can't use it?

For the specialist, I was looking for a gynecologist. I found several on a Anthem's Doc Finder Tool that said they were in network. I called the doctors beforehand to verify coverage and they all said yes. I made appointments, but when I arrived, they told me that I was not covered because I had a "pathway" PPO plan. Therefore Anthem was providing false coverage information on their website, but wants to take no responsibility. They said it's the customer's responsibility to verify coverage. And the doctors say it's the insurance's responsibility to provide an accurate list of in-network doctors. No one cares or wants to take responsibility. FML.

Anthem told me on the phone that I have to use the "secret language" or terminology to verify with the doctors if I'm really covered or not. I was supposed to ask them if they're "contracted with my plan" since I'm a pathway PPO. Since I have pathway many doctors discriminate and don't take it. But I feel this is very unfair and should be illegal because Anthem was advertising my insurance as a PPO when I purchased it, however when I go to use my insurance it is not the same as a regular person's PPO. This is considered bad faith and I would be very interested in prosecuting if I could build a case.

Every time I call I've spent hours on the phone and online feeling very uneasy about my healthcare coverage. Every time I call, I speak to someone different in the call center with no way for me to ever speak with them again because they don't provide direct access. No one cares about me, I am just another number to them. This again should be illegal and is unacceptable. I'm contractually obligated to pay my premiums every month, but yet there is no transparency and clear line of communication with Anthem. Just. Unbelievable.

For 2017, I was considering hiring my husband under my small business just so we can get a group plan and be treated like real citizens in the insurance game. I wanted to start our group plan coverage under my company starting January 1. However I couldn't get the documents together in time and I couldn't figure out the cost comparison. Therefore I kept my individual plan as is... With even more nightmares to come. Anthem emails me and tells me that my plan will be changing to a EPO instead of the PPO starting January 1. This is verbatim the email from Anthem: "On January 1, your PPO plan will change to an EPO (Exclusive Provider Organization) plan. You can choose any doctor or hospital that participates in your plan, with no need for a referral. Care from doctors and hospitals outside your plan is not covered, except on an emergency or urgent basis."

This is extremely unfortunate, given that this notice was given on October 28th 2016 - barely enough time to plan an insurance strategy for the new year and open enrollment was right around the corner. Especially being a small business owner it takes time to do the proper research... It's a very complicated thing. To my dismay, this new plan means that I will have even less coverage because no out of network providers will be covered now. Great. Even worse, nowhere did anthem mention that my premiums would be increasing. However, just recently I received a notice on my credit card statement that my bill is now $97 more!!! How is this legal?? Absolutely mind boggling.

I just broke my arm during a ski trip ready for Christmas. Thank God this happens still in 2016. Stay tuned for the nightmare that I will have ahead of me dealing with the billing from last. I absolutely hate Anthem and the lack of healthcare and healthcare regulation that is plaguing our country. All in all, I have spent over 200 hours this last year battling this monstrosity. There should be more options, but yet these health insurance companies monopolize the market and it isn't ethical.

PLEASE PLEASE NEVER SPEND A DIME WITH THIS COMPANY!! I'm very upset with the amount of disrespect I've been given with the lack of communication with this company. I purchased a health plan for my two children, husband, and myself. First, they entered our names incorrectly on our cards and in our plan, so I had to pay out of pocket when I took my daughter to a doctor. Then, I was on hold for over 3 hours to get answers as to why we don't show up in the system, but my account sure has over $1000 a month coming out of it to pay for our policy. Finally I got that situated, then had another headache. We are on the state line, and cannot go to the doctor we need to see 30 miles away. Instead, Anthem wants us to travel 2.5 hours away to a doctor in our state. I will find another insurance company today if it's the last thing I do. I refuse to hold for one more second with these people. I'm paying a lot of money for zero help.

My husband's company insurance is through Anthem. His Union offers an additional benefit through Anthem with reimburses 80% of out-of-pocket medical expenses when submitted within a 12 month period. We submitted a claim in March 2016 which was not resolved until December 22, 2016. Why did it take so long? Repeated calls to Anthem said we were not eligible and when the company called them to verify eligibility our reimbursement would be processed. The company's HR rep called Anthem and our reimbursement was; not processed. Both my husband and I called repeatedly and every customer service rep either said that Anthem offered no such coverage, or they never received our reimbursement submission, or we weren't eligible, etc. etc. Each phone call took about 1/2 hour or more with no resolution. No wonder Anthem is doing well financially, they WON'T pay out the benefits that are due to their subscribers.

** customer service. This customer service manager should be fired and this company customer service never improved from last two years since I joined. I will definitely cancel this company policy. I will go with UnitedHealthcare and I am very much comfortable with UnitedHealthcare with my dental plan. Anthem PPO customer service is the all time worst. What is this company vice presidents and CEO are doing? No sense at all. I have called customer service at least 10 times and a long waiting period for at least 40 mins.

Stupid rules. Finally if I talk to a representative they says we deal with few states and I need to call my state. Finally called my state plan and they says I need to call group plan service. This is complete **. Learn from UnitedHealthcare customer service. I am so mad on this stupid company. Lazy bums and irresponsible people. Have a shame reading my review here. Dear CEO: call as a member and listen to your fantasy customer service. Just Imagine how people are scolding your company every day.

Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of NY customer service is appallingly bad. It has taken over 3 hours to attempt to get my insurance ID number. I have most of the digits but can not get my hands on the initial 3 digits which I should be able to get online. That systems doesn't work any better. I have put in my username and password in multiple times. The systems says it is going to a secure site and then goes back to the main menu. I would highly advise people to stay away from this company if at all possible.

I am under the care of one of the top cardiologists at a large University in CA famous for its medical center and medical school (Stanford). I am on two medications for heart problems I have, ** 50mg due to an ascending aortic aneurysm and pulmonary artery aneurysm, and ** 2.5mg for chronic chest pain. I had once been on ** 60mg daily and was getting so dizzy I would almost fall down at times when walking. I was taken off that medication and put on ** - I had Blue Shield of CA at that time, and there was no balking from the Blue Shield about the cost.

Flash forward - my insurance benefit provider changed last open enrollment from Blue Shield of CA to Anthem Blue Cross - no choice of mine, I was forced into it by my employer, with the only other option of Kaiser (see my previous posts about Kaiser if you want to know why I didn't opt to go with them...). Transferring my prescriptions, I discover that Anthem Blue Cross denied my ** medication, and thus my cardiologist had no choice but to put me back on **, which didn't work very well and was causing me to have significant dizzy almost fainting spells. I'm just lucky I didn't fall down a flight of stairs on the stuff.

Anthem feels that to save costs, my safety is of no concern and they feel they can dictate to a very good cardiologist at Stanford the medication I am to take for my chronic chest pain. Anthem will put you at risk to save a buck. Anthem should be put out of business. Anthem is using the Kaiser model for health care benefits. In short - Anthem Blue Cross sucks.

They cancelled my family of 4 twice without notice or explanation. They don't know why. They cannot update my billing information with a new credit card # and I cannot speak to someone without waiting on the phone for 1 - 2 hours, WTH! Horrible, I have paid for 2016 and they cancelled my plan (?)

I have had Anthem Blue Cross insurance for years but for 2016 I had a PPO plan I never used. I was notified that I would have to get an HMO for 2017 bc they stopped offering PPO plans. I sent in my application in December for my new plan and they required me to include my bank card info. On December 12th they took out $271.60 and I thought everything was fine until Christmas Eve I got a bill in the mail for $271.60 due January 1st (short notice for one thing and another that was not a good Christmas present at all). So on Dec 26 I call 7am and get through to a girl I can barely understand and she can't understand me. She finally figured out they accidentally put the entire $271.60 on my Dental plan that I only owed $32.20 on for December and was to be cancelled Jan 1st.

She tells me in her broken English that I only owe $32.20 for January and I didn't have the money then so I called back when I had the money only to find out that it was still showing I owed $271.60 due January 1st and I couldn't get through to a human so I was force to pay ANOTHER $271.60 on Dec 30th to keep my insurance. On January 4 I call and get a guy named Jean and his computer was down so he'd have to call me back. He calls me back and my phone shows it is Google calling me and flags it spam.

I call Anthem and get the same girl I got on Dec 26 and she says there is a positive credit on my account for $239.40 and I only owed $32.20 for February. I went ahead and paid that then so I'd be paid until March 1st... WRONG!!!! It has been two weeks and it is only showing I paid $32.20 for February and still owe $239.40 due February 1st. I wrote a letter I plan to send certified mail and if they cancel me, then they cancel me. I'm going to see if my bank can help me get a refund and report them to the Better Business Bureau.

I am a broker who has worked with Anthem for years. Now that they are basically the ONLY game in town, when it comes to individual plans and it appears there is less and less training when it comes to problem resolution. We have had case after case where paperwork is properly submitted, only to have it snag and, while we are used to making meticulous notes when a client has an issue, problems just seem to be passed along and you're telling the same story over and over and over. I asked for a "broker OMBUDSMAN or LIAISON" today. The Anthem supervisor did not know what either word meant. Disheartening because, the people we work with locally are some of the best.

I write this as I have been on hold for ONE AND A HALF HOURS so far. And all I want to do is cancel my term life insurance which DOUBLED this month to $200! Contact the State Dept of Insurance, when health insurance cancelled me because I guess I was costing them too much (I have a very rare blood disorder requiring 4 consecutive days of blood infusions at an infusion center in a hospital EVERY other week). I went online and filed a complaint. It took three months, but the insurance company was forced to reinstate me and cover all my medical costs. None of the infusion centers were in my plan. Hang in there, I know what it's like with a bad back. Have had multiple laminectomies myself.

Misplaced my old card and wanted a new ID card for the new year anyway. (Haven't been issued a card since 2015.) Automated phone system told me it would be 40 minutes before the call was answered. Waited on hold for well over an hour. Where is the customer service? Is there only one person answering your phones? And the automated recording kept suggesting I "email the inquiry" every 45 seconds. No, I CAN'T email without knowing my ID number. So frustrating!

Finally got a representative, but she couldn't help me or find me in the system without an ID number either. Put on hold for an additional 25 minutes. Not the rep's fault, but you could hear the frustration in her voice. The system they have to work with as well as being understaffed is maddening. Transferred to another rep/department to try to find me in the system. Another 10 minutes on hold. Finally transferred one last time with an additional 15 minutes on hold. I just needed a new card and I HAD to speak with a human being. Again, no issue with the reps, but what should have been a simple request took two hours of my work day.

Anthem chooses to be the most inefficient company possible when it comes to processing claims and reimbursements directly to patients/parents. My pediatric dentist will not submit claims directly to Anthem; however, both my husband's and my dentist will file claims, but not participate as an Anthem provider. When our claims are submitted by the adult dentists, they are processed within 48 hours. Not the same story when I, the policyholder, sends in the claim forms for my children. The timeframe is now 30-60 days!!! Then, once processed, the reimbursement check isn't mailed for another 7-10 business days from the date processed!! Oh my, this has meant that nearly $1500 that I had to pay upfront for my child's abscessed tooth is being held hostage by Anthem for almost 90 days before I, the policyholder, receives my reimbursement.

This business practice is completely unacceptable! To make matters worse, when calling customer service, I am told that they can't reach or contact the processing center to even verify that the claim has been received. If something went awry in the submission you will never know it until you give up waiting for it to appear on the website. Additionally, customer services can't say when or if the payment has been processed and they can't advise you as to when you will receive payment because, as I was told, no one can contact the Claims Department! Can anyone imagine a company being run so inefficiently?

Anthem is just awful. Absolutely awful to work with. Please think long and hard before getting insurance through them. Their customer service for one thing is the worst I have ever experienced and I myself have worked in a call center before so I know what it's like and can empathize but this was just ridiculous. Not only did they not cancel my coverage when I requested it (called in, multiple messages on my account, and even wrote an official letter). Still got charged and THEN this past week not only did they not cancel my policy but they renewed my coverage with a new policy (much worse than my previous one) and much higher premiums.

How can you possibly renew/enroll a customer in a new policy without their knowledge or consent. You can be most certain that I will keep looking into this to help ensure this gets resolved and that no one else has to deal with an issue like this again either. I am so, so disappointed with my experience. I had them years ago and had an alright experience but after this nightmare I am steering as many people away as I can so no one has to deal with what I did.

My wife and I recently had to select a new insurance company to get us through until I'm 65. At $2237 a month, I figured "how bad could it be". We have only been with Anthem for 4 days. I have tried to call customer service numerous times. First two times, waited 40 minutes and had to hang up. Jan. 2nd - finally got a hold of them to set up auto pay because their website is continually not working. Spoke to lady, she assured me she had me set up on auto-pay and would send an email confirmation. Email never came but I got an email Jan. 3rd reminding me to pay by Feb. 1st. Been on hold now for 1 hr 17 minutes.

That's one issue. My doc's office also tried to get me approved for a test yesterday - they spent 5 hours with Anthem and another company Aims Services who actually approve tests. Both companies are having "computer problems" so nothing can get approved. Wonder how much money they saved with people giving up! Unbelievable first 4 days with this company!

I have enrolled in Anthem Blue Cross Silver EPO through Covered CA. The payment has been processed. ABC has confirmed my member status via email. And of course sends me info on additional products. However, they have not supplied my member # in any format. Without a member #, there is literally no way to access their system (to register or log in) - or even to lodge a complaint. Calling 800-333-0912 or 888-553-5423 has resulted in a 1 hour 40 minute wait (last week - after citing a 1 hour wait time), and today the system literally says "Call volume is very high, we cannot take your call." I have insurance coverage with absolutely no access to it because the member # is the key, and if they don't provide it I have no way to access them. They have built the perfect wall. I would seriously consider another provider if you are reading this and customer service matters to you at all. It had to be awful for me to take the time to write this.

I will from now on subscribe with other providers, anything but Anthem. I finally found a plan, a ridiculously expensive plan at that. A draft was made from our account in the amount of $1100 in December 2016. I made 2 calls to them in the same month asking to please send us the ID cards. Here it is Jan 4, 2017, I have no cards, I am sick and my daughter is sick and have no cards to go for a doctor visit. I go on their site, and it tells me that I am not a member. I have been given every number on earth only to speak to a machine. The lack of service and lack of human contact and apathy is just heinous. I am beyond frustrated. Now I am on a call waiting and they say that the wait time is 1 hour. Anthem ought to be ashamed of themselves for being such a suck ass company. I am LIVID.

I moved from a HMO plan to a PPO plan this year so I could see a spinal surgeon that I had researched and been referred to and have more choices. I did my research and made sure he was in network not even thinking that the hospital he is affiliated with would be an issue, I proceed to see him and made plans to have the spinal procedure he had recommended only to discover that my policy has something called Blue Distinct+ facilities for spine surgery and even though he was in network, the only hospital he is affiliated with is not. The list I was given as to the hospitals I could have the surgery at was very limited with only 22 facilities in the entire state of California and not a single one in San Diego county. I have proceeded to file a appeal/grievance which has been a joke and pushed aside and even deleted without giving me a response, forcing me to create another one and wait even longer.

Every time I have called I have to explain the situation to yet another person and am told everything from "I can't transfer you to the appeal's department" to "I handle all the departments and will email the person above me for you." This whole process and issues I have had has been a total nightmare and have caused me possible permanent damage and pain I am having a hard time controlling and they still won't expedite my appeal because it is not a life threatening issue. So now they expect me to start all over again with limited choices of doctors and facilities that meet the two criteria of in-network and affiliated with a Blue Distinct+ hospital and when I have already establish a relationship and researched a doctor I am comfortable with.

My doctor has also gone the extra mile for me and file a appeal on my behalf and even contacted the hospital CEO to see if they could work with Anthem get the surgery done. It is ridiculous that Anthem has this policy to hide behind and deny people a surgery that they desperately need all over money and which hospital they can pay the least to.

My pharmacy acknowledged me with a premium problem on my account. So I wanted to call in the customer service to see what's happening. I hold for 1 hour and 5 minutes, and the music finally stopped and there was the dialing tone. However, there was no sign of anyone picking up the phone!! I can't believe the call just ended after one minute of no sound and hung up with a "thank you for calling Anthem healthkeepers, goodbye."

Why can't this company add a call back service so consumers do not have to wait and be HUNG UP?! Not only this was a horrible experience, but last time I had a question about out of state benefits and when I finally got a REAL person to pick up the line, she was super impatient when I tried to ask her to speak slowly and repeat the benefits of my plan. I was transferred to the market place, then back to that representative, and then somewhere else where none solved my problem of getting a plan where out of state benefits are available. No one gave me the suggestion of whether if Anthem healthkeepers have a plan that will cover out of state nor any way avoiding to get a health insurance in another state.

My wife and I have had Anthem Ohio Blue MedicareRX for all of 2016 and have been struggling with billing issues all year. All payments have been submitted in a timely manner. Have yet to receive a correct bill and keep getting notices threatening to cancel the insurance. Two calls have been made to the company to no avail. Bank statements detail all payments as having been delivered but the company provides conflicting info. Unless you have time to spend on the phone, I'd beware of this one!

I am very upset with Anthem, taking all of our jobs to different countries. We have good customer service in the U.S. I'm tired of not understanding the person on the other end of the phone. I call for insurance information benefits and get prior authorization for patients. I spend so much time on hold waiting for the customer service rep to give me what I need. With other insurance companies -- Humana, UnitedHealthcare -- I don't have that problem, ONLY with Anthem. I'm tired of you'll sending our jobs to other countries. I'm glad my company don't carry this insurance. The service is poor and their systems are always slow or they have to reboot or something.

First of all, I am a physician. And a patient. I understand the medical business very well, after 30 years as a physician. And I can completely understand the frustration my patients have for this inept system. Anthem is the worst example I can cite for what is wrong with healthcare today. Their premiums have increased 25%, their coverage has plummeted, and their customer service is abysmal. I just spent 30 minutes online trying to get access to my account, but the website would not take my login password.

So I called their customer service number, trying to speak to a human to sort out the problem. The woman at the other end barely spoke English, and had a microphone that kept cutting out of the conversation. She assured me that my password was correct. I assured her that it would not work. So she gave me a new temporary password to log on. It didn't work, either. 15 minutes later, I had a similar phone conversation with Express Scripts, the inept online pharmacy that Anthem uses - and I had similar results. Unable to logon with previous passwords, unable to refill prescriptions, and I was given erroneous information on how to fix the problem. My advice: RUN, do not walk, away from this insurer and find anyone else you can - my $1440 a month in premiums is worthless if I cannot even access the system.

Been on ABC for couple of years and never needed it. Now I need to find a primary care Dr and there are none available. Their website hasn't been updated in years. The only dr's that are accepting new patients are taking appointments 7 months in advance. They offer NOTHING to their customers, but still take the full premiums from us. Obamacare at its worst.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.
  • Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.
  • Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.
  • Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.
  • Best for Students, senior citizens