1.17/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Anthem

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 11, 2017

357 Anthem Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

First, this company denied an out-of-network procedure that I need to have done for a serious illness I have. I have out-of-network benefits too, but the surgery was denied. I appealed the decision and it was denied again because they feel the surgery isn't "medically necessary." What insurance company has the right to tell someone their health isn't "medically necessary?!"

Now, I am out on a leave of absence because of this illness because it is spreading and I can't have surgery because my insurance company that I pay for every week won't pay for it. I have also been dealing with Anthem Life for 2 months now, trying to get my leave of absence approved so I can get paid, and they have done nothing but drag their feet and give me the runaround every time I call them. They have lost my doctor's documents numerous times, and now I am facing termination because these people don't know how to do their jobs. If you have the option to choose a different insurance company, do it.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

If you have cancer this is not the insurance you want! I was denied a PET scan on Friday 9 am. I tried all day to get a denial letter so I can file an appeal. Theresa ** LPN dodged me. I had to get to other people to transfer me multiple times. She NEVER returned calls. She gave me a runaround about getting me the letter. I was promised by the end of the day Friday. I never received it. I truly believe this was done to prevent me from appealing the decision. My pet scan is scheduled for 7 am Tuesday. I want the name of the person who denied the coverage. I want the copy of the denial. I want to know how to file an appeal, it is not anywhere in your website that I can find and member services would not tell me how.

I want to know if the fact I have endometriosis was factored in to this decision. Was my family history taken into account? Grandfather brain and colon, mother lung, ovarian, uterine, aunt ovarian, breast, aunt throat and uterine. There's more but you get the idea. I have previously had a mass removed from my colon (benign). My DR at Northwell gyn oncology prescribed a pet scan as the best procedure for me. How does your dr if it is even a dr know what's better for me? Since my surgery is now delayed I am going for a second opinion at Sloan Kettering. I want the letter for my appointment there.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

When my husband started his own small business, we were forced into the individual insurance market. We purchased a PPO through Anthem that was actually an ok plan - for three months. Then we got a letter saying the plan was discontinued and we could only purchase an HMO and things fell apart. They sold us an HMO plan that DID NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR MY DAUGHTER who is out of state in college. Yes - we told them about her! They said no problem - she can see the Anthem doctors at school or she can sign up for our "away from home" program. Come to learn that we are considered "out of area" by all the doctors in my daughter's area (and therefore denied coverage) and the "away from home" program is not offered in the state where she lives. Oh and now the enrollment period is over so we can't switch. Thank you anthem!

That was just the beginning. They do everything they can to avoid paying you! I think their business plan states "wear people down until they stop asking for money!" DO NOT BUY ANTHEM. They will not fulfill their basic obligations to you. I have spent countless hours on the phone with these people just trying to get what we pay for. Anyone else has got to be better.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

It is my understanding that the current healthcare was put in place by Nixon. I was under the impression that all rules made by an impeached president are suppose to go out the door with him. Our healthcare system feels to be run by the "American Mafia". We pay $400 a month on a BCBS plan that has an outrageous deductible. Okay- we knew that when we were forced to sign up. But they do not cover routine visits, and have to be reminded of state mandated coverages (depending on the state you live in). The medical offices are no better because they offer a discount on self pay and charge more if you are covered. But that money is still coming out of our pocket so we might as well be self pay!

The reason for my review is that I have noticed something that I want to share. It seems to me that most primary care and hospitals offer a discounted self pay option. If you open an HSA (health savings account) you can put pre-taxed money into the account for medical uses. I am not sure what the tax penalty is for not carrying health care, but it is likely less than the $5,000 you will dump into your health insurance, and you can take the money you would be paying BCBS and put it into your HSA account. There is gap coverage or accident insurance for a lot less premium- in the event something happens to you... something to consider.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Coverage is set up already and you have to accept it or not get coverage. They only sell certain plans that are overpriced. They have this super huge deductible or this other plan that you have to use some sort of bank account type of usage. Insurance prices are always going up to ridiculous amounts. The average person has hard time affording policy. Even with insurance they only cover a portion of bill which is a very small amount leaving policy holder with a huge amount still to be paid. Ripoff but forced to get. Unfair!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Anthem Blue Cross is the worst health insurance company. They have way old systems and their systems are never up to date. Been a member for more than 5 years now and I deeply regret for this now. My wife had a baby boy last year and her obstetrician was in-network during the delivery but it was showing OUT-OF-network while processing the claim. They have rejected the claim now and I got to pay huge bill due to this. This has happened only due to one reason, not keeping their systems up to date. I will never ever go with Anthem in my life time. So, Folks, if you want a fair health insurance, do not go with them. Otherwise you will end up paying huge bills like me. I wouldn't give even a single star if I can.

Updated on 10/9/2017: In response to my previous dissatisfied experience on handling my claim I submitted on Consumer Affairs previously, one of the Anthem associate's gave me a call after a month and took all the details of my claim and said she would resolve. She wouldn't want me to call Anthem to follow up on it and she would contact me in a week and provide an update. She also supposed to send an email with all her details. I never received a call back or details to my email.

Now, I do not have that associate's contact info to follow up. This was not resolved yet. It's been a month now. I don't understand why they always do this. Am so vexed with them and am completely dissatisfied with their service again. If I have a chance I would move from them completely. I do not want the customer service now as they would take forever to get me an associate and I have to tell my year long story. Their systems are too old and never ever get updated with statuses accurately. I would never renew with Anthem again. They do not deserve a single star.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I just found out that I will need a CAT scan to rule out ovarian cancer. I also need a colonoscopy. Anthem will not cover a single penny of this, until I satisfy a $7000 deductible. Thank you BCBS, for making me choose between my life and keeping a roof over my children's heads, as well as having food on the table. I am a 42 year old, married woman, with 3 children. I work full time and pay RIDICULOUS money to your company for this horrible insurance, that's useless when it's truly needed. You're handing down a death sentence, making people choose between their health or making sure their families have a place to sleep and food to eat. I wouldn't wish this nightmare on anyone.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Federal BCBS is good. But, the dental benefits are horrible. They pay very little for important dental care. I must carry a second dental insurance because I pay so much out of pocket.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I never received my insurance card or any so called packet they said they would send. Impossible to get into contact with during enrollment period. Paid months for insurance I couldn't use. In fact their sign up process was so confusing I didn't think I even had insurance at all... until I checked my bank account. At least canceling was easy.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I am an attorney. I come from a professional athlete family. Many of my immediate family members are physicians. Being healthy is the number one goal in my family. I am the same weight as high school - 105 pounds. I am 59 years old. I do not smoke and never took drugs. I will have a Kahlua and cream if someone begs me at a host dinner. My family has been located in the United States since Jamestown. When I moved to Virginia I reached out to Anthem during open season. I had no idea nor did the rep state to me that I was speaking with a broker. I enrolled in an individual plan and promptly paid the monthly charges.

Subsequent to my enrollment I began to receive through the mail, requests for personal information. The documents did not contain any insignia that they were related to my Anthem insurance. I made several calls and wrote Anthem asking for clarity. I was told to "throw the documents away, they have nothing to do with us." In March, while traveling in Colorado, I reached out the Anthem for the billing address to mail my April payment. I was told that I was being dropped on April 1, 2017 for lack of verification of my citizenship. (Ridiculous - I am a very rooted American.) After discussion, the Anthem rep informed me that the documentation that I was told to "throw away" was, in actuality, information required from the Marketplace, a broker. I informed Anthem that I did not utilize a broker. Anthem responded that during open season they utilize brokers because they are "bombarded with thousands of phone calls during the open season."

I asked why there was no disclosure to me during my call and the Anthem rep said: "Would you prefer to be on hold for hours or speak to a broker?" How rude!!!! So... I wrote Anthem a letter demanding coverage. By the time I received a response I was nervous about exposing myself without insurance so I reached out to another insurance carrier - a type of temporary insurance which ends in October. Not sure what happens in October - I think I will have no insurance until open season??? Awful.

Additionally, while in Colorado prior to being dropped on April 1st, I got sick and was seen by a physician. I filed a claim on or around April 6th, 2016. It is August 10, 2017 and I have not heard a thing about the outcome except one representative who thought it would not go through (phone conversation). Repeatedly, Anthem made up nonsense concerning the claim in order to not address it - e.g. the date of service was too illegible. FALSE STATEMENT! Run from Anthem. There has got to be a better way. If I am an attorney having trouble with Anthem I pity the person who is not as educated.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

They have no way to contact them directly, if say you do not have a card. Their website lists ONLY technical support. No way at all to contact them directly. When you call tech, and they manage to transfer you to a human. They will not know what to do, throw you into a phone directory or a switchboard operator who will then hang up on you. Do not know what to say other than if it is not too late, find another company.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Ok to start I have never had to speak to Anthem's Appeals Dept., when a letter was sent with the wrong name and erroneous info in it I started to as they say reach out, to no less than 15 people, over 30 days later still no corrected letter and no info to carry on an appeal with PERS, which sent me a letter that I have 15 calendar days to send any info to affect my appeal, well I do not even have the Anthem info to address and get back up for. It feels like what a black hole I imagine in space would feel like. All I get from the customer service dept. is the company line, I finally said did you hear me you are not responding like you have heard me. To think this insurance is something I have paid for and this is the service.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Anthem BCBS is a Very TERRIBLE health insurance provider! Lousy benefits resulting in high(er) intrinsic costs and BS coverage, regardless of which state you live in. Chose ONLY because it was the Better choice amongst very Limited choices (NH is Terrible with health insurance coverage). For a nationwide health insurance provider, it provides one of the least benefits to subscribers and makes you jump through hoops to get even the most basic benefits allowed on your plan.

Good example. CPAP supplies are subject to annual deductible but you "NEED" doctor's authorization. WHY?! People pay for it themselves. CPAP users already HAD medical authorization to get sleep study which resulted in purchase of CPAP. Why the heck do you need MORE authorization to buy needed supplies (sanitation health issues) if you pay for it privately? The subscriber needs to submit a Claims Report to have the amount Credited towards the annual deductible amount but BCBS REFUSES to do that UNLESS you get doctor's approval! WTHeck?!

Other insurance companies actually COVER (even partially limited) CPAP supplies (i.e. buy hoses/masks every 6 months) or get amounts paid personally credited towards annual deductible since you're ALREADY approved hence reason above that you already received a medical authority to buy a Cpap machine! The BCBS workers have to put up with grievances from subscribers for the BS guideline benefits that BCBS offers or does NOT offer. BCBS has a STRICT policy of getting Doctor referrals BEFORE ANY treatment so you better get it or else you pay the referral related expenses directly!

The company was bad BEFORE ObamaCare and has become WORSE AFTER ACA! Monthly premiums have gone up, annual deductibles/out of pocket costs have INCREASED SIGNIFICANTLY while benefits have dropped!! Some medical expenses that WERE ONCE covered may NOT be covered anymore esp. by BCBS! AVOID at all costs if possible! Stay healthy at all costs! Had better health insurance coverage at same price in MA with another insurance provider. NH has one of the most limited and lousiest health insurance providers!

Original review: July 21, 2017

My bill is never EVER right. We literally have to call Anthem every other month. Literally!!! The SOP at Anthem is to have the customer service rep take down every bit of information she can and "send" it to the billing department. I ask, "Can I please speak directly with the billing department" and her scripted response is that she does not have a number for the billing department. I ask for an email and she comes back with, "I do not have any information on how to reach the billing department." The only thing that I am ever told is that billing will look into it and send out a new bill. So they are glad to take my money but won't let me talk to the people that keep screwing it up. You cannot name a single other business that would pull that kind of crap. When I ask to speak to a supervisor I get the same run around until I am told, "there is no one above me that can take calls from customers." I cannot believe this is even legal!

Original review: July 8, 2017

The company in which I am employed required me to have this insurance plan. I thought I would never need it, and enjoyed paying them for this. Haha. As it turned out I needed to file a claim because of a fractured arm. I spoke with them on the phone, and submitted the proper paperwork. They were, suspiciously, indicating to me that they didn't like dealing with my insurance company because they indicated they were slow in responding. They suggested that I reach out to my doctor's office in an attempt to speed up the process so I did. I was able to get a fax line, contact #, and the insurance liaison's name all which were directly related to my doctor's office. I gave all this information to them on the phone for which they assured me that this would be added to my file. They did in this conversation indicate to me again that they still thought my insurance would drag their feet, and indicated that I should check on them regularly.

After two weeks of checking with my insurance they indicated that they had not received anything from Anthem Life. I called Anthem. At this time they said that they had not received any information from insurance company, and that because of that they were mailing me a letter indicating that they were closing my claim. They told me that I could file an appeal if I wish. I intend on it. My insurance has no reason to not reply to any insurance paperwork. It's not a fly-by clinic. I do believe, however, that they never had any intention of paying or sending the paperwork even after I sent them the proper point of contact information. I can imagine that the they are laughing at the idea of me appealing their judgement on my claim. Beware. Sneaky crooks whom I still have to pay for in my paycheck.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I called to get a letter verifying coverage for my auto insurance required in Michigan. I called and then said they would email it to me which they didn't, so I had to call back the next day and then the department I needed wasn't available because they were doing training. I called back the next day to find out that department didn't handle what I wanted. I called back and talked to someone who transferred me and told me to talk to someone else which in turn attempted to have me call my employer who doesn't handle this issue.

I was told by another department to ask for a supervision and the lady on the phone refused to give me one and hung up on me. I called back and talked to multiple different departments who gave me the same answer. I asked if they had someone who worked in the state of Michigan and they denied that and told me to call another number in which was of no help. I seriously called them probably 10 times, my auto insurance company 3 times to finally get someone that was willing to investigate how to get my problem solved. They seriously need some more training. It was a horrible experience.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have my entire family covered under Anthem BCBS HDHP. I would just like to say this insurance is GARBAGE. I pay over $2,600 a year in premiums, just to have a HDHP of $4,500. I have to meet before they start paying anything. Even after the $4,500 is met, they only cover 80% for certain stuff. That's $7,100 I'd have to pay, out of pocket in a year, before Anthem starts to pay 80%. That is absurd considering that's 25% of my yearly take home income. But my current situation, my wife had our second born child recently. I called a customer service rep to see why, after the entire labor delivery, my deductible only had $600 applied to it.

After 30 minutes with a customer service rep, I come to find out that the newborn services for our newborn is not applied to my deductible (even though I'm paying $4,000 out of pocket for it). I asked the rep why this wasn't applied to my deductible and all she could tell me is that my benefit does not entail newborn care. This made me furious and I ended up hanging up on the customer service rep. I could go on and on about Anthem. But I'll keep this review somewhat short. DO NOT PURCHASE ANTHEM BCBS FOR YOUR HEALTH/MEDICAL INSURANCE!!

Original review: June 19, 2017

In December 2016, I called and asked about upgrading our dental plan to include orthodontics. I was given plan information, pricing and details on doing so. I told the customer service person at Anthem that I would check with our orthodontist and call back to get the plan. When I called back in 2 weeks to get the plan I was told that I could not upgrade to the plan that had orthodontics because we had missed open enrollment. After speaking with a manager, they approved retroactively upgrading us to the Family Plan C if we paid the November and December premiums. We paid the November, December and January premiums for the Family Plan C.

I gave my orthodontist the new plan information and was informed that our plan did not cover orthodontics at all. I enrolled in the Dental Family Enhanced Plan in January (which hopefully included orthodontics this time). I made appointments at the orthodontist for my children and received a letter on June 15, 2017 that even though our plan includes orthodontics, neither child will be covered for the cost of braces. I finally cancelled the plan on June 18 after spending $545 in premiums.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I've been a business owner for 20+ years and understand the importance of customer service. I honestly don't believe I've dealt with worse service. First, they deny a prescription that should have been quickly approved. They require my doctor to submit additional paperwork which was done immediately. After hearing nothing for several days, I called. That's where the fun began. First, HORRIBLE automated system that seems designed to annoy you into hanging up. If you can last, you get a person that literally knows nothing. I wasted almost 3 hours trying to get a simple answer. I was transferred 10 times (literally) and ended up back where I started.

Finally, someone told me they would get my prescription reviewed and it should be approved the next day. They were supposed to call. Instead, I waited until the afternoon, and I called back. After only 3 transfers and 1 hang up, I was told - "We made the decision at 10 this morning. It can't be approved until we get more paperwork from your doctor!" If people had options, they would have exactly zero customer/members. Terrible experience.

Original review: May 19, 2017

My company has an ongoing issue with Anthem retracting claims payments. After five months of weekly calls to Anthem along with email and phone complaints to higher ups, I was connected with a person who listened and help with our problematic claims. During that time, I was asked to provide the same information multiple times, and then representatives would advise they needed to review the information with supervisors. This turned into a five month fiasco because the reps weren't collecting information or calling back. The woman that finally assisted explained that this was a dropped ball by customer service, and the company was going to use this scenario as a training tool to improve claims service.

About a month and a half later, I have another similar problem. I've attempted to get help for the past three weeks. My contact doesn't call back as promised until I've called her (after patiently waiting five business days on two separate occasions) or I've called to ask for a supervisor. I've had to begin taking my issues to the same higher ups again.

It is extremely difficult to get help from this company. I deal with UHC and Medicare on a regular basis, and I've yet to experience the level of rudeness and apathy with them as I've experienced with Anthem. My contact returned a call to me today after I requested to speak with a supervisor. She said to me, "Here you are asking for a supervisor when I thought we had a working relationship." My response was, "I thought we did too, but you aren't returning my calls or providing me any information after three weeks." She didn't have a response to that. I worked in a customer service call center for over ten years, and I know it's a tough job, but this level of non-service is unacceptable and clearly a pattern with Anthem.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I had been with Anthem for many years. Each year, I am sent the renewal notice, with less coverage, higher deductibles and increased cost. I opted to stay with the same coverage for 2017-18 and was sent my welcome letter. My account is set for auto pay for the monthly premiums. In March 2017, when filling a prescription, I was told my coverage was canceled. This is the 2nd time they have done this, the 1st being Sept 2016, and they reinstated my coverage after 6 weeks and apologized. I was told to send in any receipts, where they would reimburse me. It took me a long time to fill out the difficult forms necessary. I received 6 pages of paperback, no check, stating they applied these amounts to my 2016 deductible. The were to reimburse the portion I paid where I was covered.

This time I was canceled, they told me someone would be contacting me back in 4-5 days. I received no call, no mail, no email! It takes over an hour each time I phone in to reach someone. After 20 days, when finally able to reach them, they said this case was resolved 10 days ago. No contact had been made, despite me leaving them my work and cell numbers. Meanwhile, I still had no coverage, and no contact by mail, phone, or email from anyone at Anthem. After over 2 months of trying to get an answer as to why I was canceled, I have just learned yesterday, by means of the online Message Center, where you are not able to respond to any of their messages.

They attached a bogus letter from December 2016, stating because I have moved out of the service area (PS. I have not moved or tried to) they were canceling me, and I had 60 days to obtain new coverage. Since I am just seeing this letter for the 1st time, it is out of the 60 day period, where I am unable to get insurance through the open market. I am furious. I expected the to reinstated, as they had done so before. When attempting to get short term coverage today, they were able to put me on a 3way with Anthem. They told the agent, I was sent letters of the cancellation 4 times. I never received 1, and have maintained the same address, the same email throughout my coverage.

I am so angry. They deserve to be sued. They are illegally manufacturing false documents, at the expense of people's lives. Over $16,000 a year, and this is what you get! I will do my due diligence to let every consumer know, they are a horrible company, with terrible customer service and deceptive practices. They should be sued, and hopefully someone has the time and means to do this.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I signed up for Anthem in Oct. 2016 for 87.26 a month (a bare minimum of coverage, but all I could afford). They billed me at that rate for the first month, then raised the premium to $250 a month with no warning, no explanation and no additional coverage offered. That was January. This is May. I can't even get them to cancel my policy without a huge hassle. Run, don't walk away from Anthem. And check out their Yelp reviews. One star. Worst possible rating for customer service.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I'm a dialysis patient. I go to dialysis 3 times a week. I have to be there on time and I have them set my ride. Since they switch ride companies I been going late or not even going to dialysis because they come 1-3 hours late and my spot would be over. I have to be there on time because I'm morning shift. If I'm late it makes others late so they can't make others late. I guess I'm slowly dying because of my plan's ride assistance not taking me to dialysis at all. I'm only 30 and I was working to get a new kidney transplant but I can't because My health is poor due to Blue Cross Anthem Logistic care rides. I just look for a lawsuit because this been going for a month with many calls to them telling them to switch my ride company. They just call around with no change at all.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I had a Rx for ** under UHC, Anthem BCBS just told me they will never, ever cover it nor any equivalent. I'm going back. Oh, and BTW -- their "dental insurance" only cover $24 for a routine cleaning. $24? Yeah, good luck with that. This insurance is bull crap!

Original review: April 7, 2017

Due to Emerson selling a portion of its business to Vertiv, my husband was forced to accept Anthem BCBS. We pay $170 every 2 weeks, as of 4/6/17 they still cover NOTHING. They only credit your deductible with "in-network" allowed amount, but leave US on the hook for the entire billed amount. How is that even LEGAL. We weren't even AWARE that our 100% out of pocket prescription costs, are a SEPARATE deductible all together and doesn't count toward the medical insurance EVEN THOUGH THAT'S HOW IT WAS PRESENTED ON PAPER. Thanks to the CURRENT ACA LAWS, we are unable to purchase secondary health insurance so our medical bills are crippling us.

The WORST thing you can be is middle class because we get NO HELP, so essentially we are spending $400 for health insurance that applies a PORTION of our actual out of pocket expense to their deductible rate. How does that seem right??? If given a choice between Anthem BCBS and NO COVERAGE, I will choose NO COVERAGE, because I'm paying $400 a month for NOTHING.

Original review: April 4, 2017

My family has bought BCBS/Anthem for 15 of last 20 years. We have always used auto pay. In December we received a notice for auto renewal of our policy, and then in January we received our insurance cards. BCBS did not bill me Jan and February, and in March canceled me for non-payment. I received no notice of possible cancellation. I am outside the open enrollment period, and so I cannot purchase a policy with them until January of 2018, leaving my family without health insurance for a year. Every time I call to get assistance, I am on hold for hours, get transferred over and over, and am told they will need to be in touch, but never get back to me. Finally, I managed to appeal their cancellation and was told their decision stood.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I have had reason to contact Anthem Wisconsin's customer service department for various reasons. Each time I have had to wait in excess of 30 minutes to have my call answered. The hold times are crazy, so crazy, in fact, that my physician's office refuses to call them. My monthly premium is over $1,000 per month. The very least they can do is pick up the phone in a reasonable amount of time.

Original review: March 24, 2017

2 years ago when I signed up for an Anthem Blue Cross plan, I received my insurance card and signed up for auto-payment on their website. I received a confirmation email I was enrolled in auto-pay. A few months later, I received a letter in the mail that my coverage was terminated for non-payment. No email, no call, no notice until this. I called to say there must be a mistake because I was enrolled in auto-pay. They had no record of me enrolling. And they wouldn't let me re-enroll because we were not in the "open enrollment period".

So I was stuck without any insurance for 6 months, and was billed over $2500 in tax penalties by the US government because of their mistake! Because I wanted to keep my doctors, I tentatively re-enrolled during the next open enrollment period, in a slightly different insurance policy with Anthem. It was $760 per month with a $7500 deductible (ridiculously the cheapest I could find). Within 2 months, I received a notice saying they are discontinuing my policy and giving me a new one that was "comparable".

When I read the fine print, it was NOT comparable, as it only covered 50% of anything. So if I was to get cancer, they would only cover 50% of costs... which could possibly bankrupt me. I called to complain, and demanded to change plans. If they are discontinuing my plan, I should have the right to change it if I am not happy with it. Again, they wouldn't allow me to do this because we were outside the open enrollment period.

In a few months, the same auto-billing issue started up. Luckily I caught it in time before they cancelled my insurance. I had to manually log in every month to pay my dues. This year I again changed plans. I was double billed for the first 2 months this year for both my new plan and my old plan. I am still not reimbursed. I received a letter last week saying I have not paid my insurance, even though I am enrolled in the auto-pay program.

Every time I call them I have to wait 45 minutes to talk to someone that has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. They said I could enroll in auto-pay over the phone, that their website sometimes has "technical difficulties". They told me someone from billing would call me within 48 hours. That was 6 days ago... still no call. Every single person I know has had similar issues with this insurer, If you are interested in joining me in a class action lawsuit against this "company", please let me know.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I have no confidence or trust in Anthem at all. So much so I am not using my Anthem insurance for any services. I have no trust or confidence in Anthem because; 1) I did not get my coverage cards until mid-February 2017. I signed up for the coverage in December 2016 and paid my premiums twice before I got my coverage cards. I had to request that coverage cards be sent to me. 2) Web site did not work for weeks. In January I was trying to find a doctor. The Search for a Doctor feature either did not work or gave me different results when I enter the same information. When I called Anthem I was on hold for over 2 hours and was told not to log in to the website to do the search. Why have this feature if using Google will work better?!? 3) Saw error messages for all my information on the web site. When I tried to enter the information, I got error messages.

4) I pay my monthly premium electronically and every month I receive a letter stating how my payment is late, but not to worry since Anthem will cover me if I make a payment in the next week. When I call, I am on hold for at least an hour and am told that I am all paid up. When I pressed Anthem as to why I get these letters I get the reply, "these systems have a mind of their own". 5) Since Anthem cannot process electronic payments, they sent a letter to the State of California stating how I never paid my premium(s) and my coverage was going to be dropped. I called the State and explained the situation. The State informed me that people on Medicare had been calling with the same situation and were surprised when I stated I was ACA. If I provided my customers the level of service Anthem does, I would be FIRED. As a software professional, I am insulted by their online "services".

Original review: March 8, 2017

Bill paying section is not sending my bill payment to One Exchange Monthly. They are now a month behind in payment notice, telephone line is always busy. I talked to Anthem last week and they said they would try to have notice by 7th of this month. So far, nothing.

Anthem expert review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.
    • Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.
    • Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.
    • Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.
    • Best for: Students, senior citizens
    Profile picture of Joseph Burns
    Joseph Burns

Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information