Anthem

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Been on ABC for couple of years and never needed it. Now I need to find a primary care Dr and there are none available. Their website hasn't been updated in years. The only dr's that are accepting new patients are taking appointments 7 months in advance. They offer NOTHING to their customers, but still take the full premiums from us. Obamacare at its worst.

I've been struggling with back issues the last few months. I continued to work until I could hardly stand/walk. My dr took me off work and referred me to a neurosurgeon which takes almost a month to get in to see. In the meantime I have them fill out my short term disability forms. Approx 4 weeks ago. And I have yet to even be "approved" for the short term by their "doctors" that evidently look over all my mri's and prior treatments. I've called three times this week. First time my "caseworker" was at her desk but for some reason wouldn't answer. In turn I was told that she technically had until the end of the following day to get in touch with me on the determination.

Ok, I waited until the following day and lo and behold no call. So I called there once again. I was told I could leave her a message and she will get back to me the following day. I said "no, I was told she had to call me with the answer TODAY!" So, she transferred me to a manager. Wow, much to my surprise they did not answer either so I left another message.

Now today I call once again. My caseworker is not available. Would I like to leave her a message? NO, I want answers, not voice mail. So she tells me my file shows they have not made a determination on it yet. I repeated what I had been told two days prior and said "I want answers!" So, once again they transfer me to a manager who does not answer so I leave yet another message. So I've been off work for 4 weeks now with no income and bills to pay. My son is type 1 diabetic and he still has to have his insulin so where is this money coming from to pay for that not to mention my Dr bills that are adding up. Grrr.

I also have Anthem blue cross blue shield for insurance. My drs been trying to find a pain medication that will help. They gave me one, I took it to the pharmacy and was told my insurance had to pre authorize it before they would fill it and if they don't cover it. It's $700! What?! So I let my drs office know and when they hear back from bcbs they all if I've tried, and rattled off three medications. So my Dr prescribed one of the three insurance listed.

I ran to town, picked up the prescription, took it to the pharmacy and they come out and say, "This needs to be pre authorized before we can fill it." Are you kidding me? So now I can hardly walk, much less function doing anything else, having been out of my old pain pills for two days now. I'm so fed up. Wish for once the shoe was on the other foot. How would they like if their health depended on what a large corporation felt was "right for them"? How can they make a determination without seeing how much pain you're in.

I just applied online for Blue Cross & paid my first premium. Then I look up phone numbers. The operator on the line tells me the Reno line is dead, then the Las Vegas line is not in working order. He finally gives me a national line for Anthem and then after going through many loops of automation I say "Applicant" and... "technical difficulties" and the line is cut-off. I am not even sure if they have customer service, and if the Reno & Vegas lines have not been in use for a while does that mean their offices have closed down?

First off, it's every BC/BS state, plan, it's just the company itself. I am a member of their federal employee pool; the largest single employee pool in the nation for private health insurance. I've come to the realization that this company, along with just about every other company that interacts with customers simply doesn't get it and simply doesn't care to get it. Too big to fail I suppose. Ok, on to my observation. Got a notice in the mail that BCBS is sharing my info with our beloved Federal Government as required by everyone's favorite unaffordable care act. What they fail to supply the Govt is our Social Security numbers. We, the customer are required to do so. If in fact we do not do so, we are liable for a shared portion of the fine. BCBS will be charged I believe a $50 "fine". Now, it would appear, our beloved Otrauma care is extending the ability to fine/tax the citizenry to private companies who we pay in the first place to use their services... I digress.

Really this isn't my main beef. My main issue/concern is twofold. 1. I am required to obtain a PIN in order to register my info with IRS.gov from BCBS by way of accessing my account. I cannot establish a PIN online. You have to call customer service, and no, it isn't an automated process. Hello 21st century, hello PITA BCBS. Call back during business hours; business hours not designed to support some of us working class stiffs who travel out of town to work in this awesomely roaring economy. Ok, I guess I can carve out time at work while on the clock and do so... so much for convenience on my terms. Why these people go to work before 10 am and have weekends off is beyond me. Well, maybe not. It would appear as though we the customer work for them, not them for us. I digress yet again.

Issue #2 when I, one of their cherished customers attempts to provide some honest feedback/constructive criticism, no mechanism via their web page or other means exists. Essentially, don't have any issues outside of "business hours" and certainly don't try to reach out to them to voice your concerns. I'd fire these clowns but I imagine that "they" are all like this. It's a failed industry and we're all stuck holding the bag together. I want out but have no choice. Very American of us huh? And here we all are complaining about an NFL QB not standing up during the national anthem when we ought to be OUTRAGED at this ACA and the lack of accountability in this nation in ref to our government. Taxation without representation. Hate the fact they're making me vote Trump.

I am extremely dissatisfied with our health care insurance. They cover NOTHING. And we have paid them thousands of dollars since February. I just tried to log a complaint with someone on the phone and they let me know that their complaint department doesn't get back to clients... What kind of business is run like that? Health care is an absolute disgrace in this country.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

I have an individual policy for which I pay $2000.00/mo premium and a $6,000 deductible. After the deductible is met all costs are supposed to be paid by my policy and have been over the years. My policy's deductible was recently met and suddenly, today, after many years of being prescribed a particular medicine for migraines which has no generic, and for which we've paid OOP till our deductible was met, I found out that the pharmacist tried to run it through and got back a message that I needed a prior authorization. This, despite a couple of weeks ago being told that it was too soon to fill and we needed to wait a couple of days.

I paid cash for that prescription. But now I'm told I need prior authorization which our doctor said can take weeks. If I end up with a bad migraine I will be forced to go to the emergency center which BC/BS will have to pay for so I can't see how this decision of theirs (which they blame on EXPRESS SCRIPTS) can possibly be a sound monetary one not to mention a breaking of our contract of care.

Since Obama care this product is worthless to me as it is affordable, the deductible alone is half my years income on social security, and increasing every year.

Also they are still in the dark ages, you can't even make payments online.

Insurance is worthless! I have been with this insurance carrier for over 35 years, with very minimal use. You would think I would at least get a Thank You card for all the huge buildings I have helped them build. Anyhow, I recently got a diagnosis of prostate cancer. I did my research, and found several options that would give me a better quality of life, after treatment. None of the positive options I found were covered. However the ones that would insure that I would pee and, crap my pants for the rest of my life, and most likely produce cancer to other parts of my body, those were covered. Who sets behind the desk in the office, that my premiums paid for and makes these foolish decisions. Obviously no one that has prostate cancer.

35 years of caring and providing for the thousands of patients in my healthcare career, and this is my payback. I'm just going to ride this one out and let it run its course. I would have been better off to have never worked and got on Medicaid, at least I could get the care I need. Once again let me reiterate Anthem insurance is pathetic when you face a serious health problem.

The EOB was sent without an address to appeal/dispute. They require you to call. Calling and talking with a person is a waste of time because I'm still getting bills. Called 4 times today and after their ridiculous automated system that makes you answer questions, it says to call back later because they are having trouble with the system. I guess thanks to Obama. I'm paying for health insurance and now even more for the bills coming through. Anthem's EOB doesn't even explain... it says to pay the "amount allowed by the benefit". Why am I paying for insurance? What "benefit"? IT WAS A ROUTINE ANNUAL PHYSICAL EXAM. I guess I won't be doing that anymore!

Beware of Anthem HealthKeepers Inc. After moving to VA. from N.C. we decided to move our NC Blue Cross Blue Shield. What a disaster! In January we received our premium amount and paid 3 months too in advance. In April, we received a refund for March's payment and at the same time Anthem put a hold on our prescription benefits, for non-payment. After contacting them they asked for March and April's payment, and the cost had increased over $100 a month. We agreed to the increase because of the need for the medications being held hostage.

In May I received a bill for $2,400 for April and May's premium. After contacting them again, I was told that our policy had been terminated because that's what we owe. Before it could be resolved, I received a new bill for $1,600. After not having the needed medications, I reluctantly paid it. In June I received another invoice for $802 for July's payment, and a letter stating I owed $360 by the due date of 7/6/16, or the insurance would be canceled. I went online and paid it and the next day in the mail I received a refund for $802.

I contacted a supervisor to look into the issues and she could not explain but requested an audit to be completed the same day. At this point we have been out of our prescription drugs for over 3 weeks. Not hearing back as promised, I contacted them 4 days later however I cannot get Teresa on the phone or to return a call. I spoke with her supervisor Anne ** who informed me she couldn't help and that I would have to wait until we are contacted by Teresa. I asked to speak with Mrs. **'s supervisor and she told me, the only way she could contact her supervisor was by email and if I wanted to speak with her, I would have to leave a voice message and she would return my call in 48 hours.

I took my 17-yr-old son to the doctor to have a mandatory meningitis shot only to find out he wasn't covered! He was terminated 7 months ago yet I'm still paying premiums. After complaining to HR and Anthem I find out Anthem dropped him in error due to his info getting mixed up with another person based on birthdate only. Not once did they check to see if there was more than one person with that birthdate, didn't check social security numbers, didn't check if other coverage was in force, didn't even send me a termination notice, didn't verify that they had the right person, just dropped him. Thank God he wasn't in a life threatening situation. Total incompetence! But still if I pay for insurance I expect it to work!!!

I cannot express how horribly disappointed I have been with every element of Anthem/BlueCross BlueShield's performance. This business has failed to show any aptitude in the most basic of functions required to execute in any satisfactory way the requirements of their contracts. As they know, because I have spend over ten hours on the phone dealing with, or waiting to deal with their incompetence over the course of less than 5 month tenure as a captive enrollee, my account was scheduled to close as of a date certain!!! I MOVED OUT OF STATE! I confirmed this with them and the exchange multiple times. They could not even do me the most basic service of CANCELING THIS ACCOUNT AS WE DISCUSSED OVER THE PHONE! No instead they sent me yet another bill.

No Anthem, I do not owe you yet another monthly payment for a service that I received no value from that was canceled after I moved out of state. "Who's canceling" I confirmed with your incompetent staff. There is no longer a contract between you and I. I am not longer eligible as I purchased this JUNK of a product through the exchange in CT who also communicated to you that I was no longer eligible after moving out of state. I have NEVER in my whole life been more disturbed by the abject failure of a company. I can't get my time, money, or sanity back. What has American business come to?!?

I have an insurance plan through my work through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. I had surgery on February 23rd. I had to be opened up in 4 places, 3 on my foot and 1 on my leg, but was in the hospital just 1 day. I have been on a knee scooter since the surgery and as of June 23rd has now been 5 months. My bones are not healing and I can’t move on to the next step of physical therapy till I have had bone stimulation to fuse the bones. My doctor has done blood work to see if I am low on anything or have anything that would warrant my bones not to heal on their own. Everything came back fine. So my doctor has ordered me to have bone stimulation and we have been waiting on approval from you. I am sure that my doctor supplied all the documentation that your medical director would need but now this is going on 4 weeks since they received my file.

Because of the type of policy I have, I am being tagged as initially not important. I cannot control the type of insurance my employer offers. The company that is supposed to be hearing back from you on the pre-authorization has been calling every day to check on the status because he knows I am having a lot of issues not being able to walk. They are being told that because I have an Anthem policy, my issues are of no importance. The doctor will not let me put any weight on this foot till the bones are healed. I am having pain on the knee that has to be on the scooter and pain in the foot that I primarily have most of my weight on most of the time, and my hip and back, not to mention how unhealthy this is for me to not be able to exercise, which is causing weight gain. I am alone and have to do for myself.

Before I could have the surgery I had to pay my deductible plus 20% of the facility fee which was $1,923. To you this might be pocket change, but to me it’s not. I also paid for the knee scooter, crutches, and the toilet handles myself because I didn’t want to have to deal with your company, and the fact that I knew the knee scooter wouldn’t be approved. Crutches alone are not safe, don’t allow you to do for yourself and I didn’t need anything else happening. It seems from what I have seen happen with other people in my office that have this insurance, that authorizations are delayed in hopes it will roll over to the next year warranting the deductible to be paid again or that they can get more money out of the policy holder. I don’t have that kind of money. This is by far the worst insurance I have ever seen. I have people ask me all the time "who are you with and why are they doing this to you?"

I need to know who else I can contact, besides you. This is awful for a patient to endure when they have no choice in terms of the insurance they are covered by and should not be tagged by this. I can't help but be extremely irate. I am also going to report this to the Better Business Bureau and anyone else that has to do with health insurance and with names of the people I have contacted. If at all possible, do not get insurance through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. I would not want anyone to endure what I've had to. Because of the kind of insurance my employer offers which is only this one, the help I need is of no importance to this provider.

I have fruitlessly been trying to get 2 months premium from anthem for 2 months that I had dual coverage through kaiser for, and am still on thank god. Since I originally made the grave mistake of going through covered california even though I was not able to receive any discount - I have to deal with this monstrosity in order to have anthem give me back my premiums. I had no knowledge of being dually covered due to my place of employment closure - until late, then I called cov calif. And they are refusing to give me back my premiums. They claim that I have to file an appeal, unbelievable! This is a vicious cycle which is ridiculous and time consuming and I would think be $ foolish also.

I thought that covered california was supposed to have been created to make the healthcare processes easier but it seems it has created the opposite effect - chaos and confusion and miscommunication. I'M really not sure if it is Anthem blue cross or covered california who is at fault and cannot get on it to fix problems such as this with an easy fix and not create such confusion and conflict. Help!

I have had very few health issues in my life. Rarely ever needed or used my insurance. Just paid premiums year after year. I am a big guy 6 foot 3 380 lbs but have been healthy my whole life. Take no medicine for anything. I am 41 year father of 4. Recently my wife told me that my snoring has been noticeably worse. Shared this with my Dr. and he recommended I sleep study done in hospital. Insurance says no and says I have to take home a machine. Test results confirm I have moderate sleep apnea. Dr. says I need a follow-up sleep study done in hospital. Anthem says "nah".

What a joke! Why does insurance get to make medical decisions regarding my health? Why do I pay premiums? I guess if I had a medical card it would be immediately approved. But I have a JOB and PAY for insurance so I get screwed. The only good thing is I do have money and attorney friends. I guess this is the only way you can get things done nowadays.

I have Anthem and it's a Joke. I retired in Jan 2016 from my employment. My wife is also employed by the same company, so I just went on her insurance because it was good coverage. Her insurance went up $100.00 every two weeks. So I had to go to the Doctor for a Senior check up in March, so I gave them my new insurance card assuming my coverage was the same. They put it in their system and said I no longer had a co-pay. "Great," I thought.

Well later I get the bill from the doctor, Anthem only paid around $109.00 of a roughly $600.00 dollar bill. Normally my end of the bill would have around $200.00. "Wow, they must have made a mistake," I thought, so I called them. The person said I had Medicare Plan B and they only paid 20% of the bill because they were a Secondary Policy. "Wait," I told her, "my medicare is for hospital only. I do not have Medicare Plan B." Her response basically was, "Well that's our policy, you have to have Medicare Plan B," so they are forcing me to have Medicare Plan B. To say I'm upset with them is putting it mildly. They are charging my wife $200.00 more a month for less coverage on me.

I am new to Anthem Healthkeepers. I was lured over by the best marketing tool ever. Save a little money. Well my first experience is I was diagnosed with having a skin infection that requires a prescription for a medicated cream and antibiotics. This has been about 3-4 months ago. Anthem approved the antibiotics but denied the medicated cream for the burning rash on my leg, stating that this was not medical needed product for my condition. I am still messing with this rash today 5/24/16. The second thing was I tried to order my CPAP machine supplies through SleepMed Therapy and was told that ANTHEM denied those too. Anthem wants me to take off from work and take my machine to have a chip read to make sure I use this machine regularly.

Now why would I bother ordering supplies if I do not use this thing. So I call Anthem up and was told that until I take this to a doctor that this machine is not medically necessary for me. I have been using this machine for the past 2-3 years and have never had this kind of issue. They want you to pay them for insurance that they refuse to service. I told them I will be seeking any way possible to get rid of these jokers, and was told that there would be a fee for leaving them early. WTF. They can't even provide a service. Speak to my Lawyer. Please people do not chose ANTHEM for anything.

First of all because I asked the woman three times to explain it to me so I could completely understand, she became VERY rude! Secondly why is everyone I speak to with a billing question, a rude woman who does not understand nor speak English? VERY infuriating! And finally what is the point of insurance if I take my child to the ER and they pay 0, nothing, nada? Insurance from every aspect is a joke and if I don't have it our government is going to penalize me! Give.Me.A.Break.

We had Anthem insurance through an employer and coverage was ok. After a job loss, we had to go on to a Medicaid program and chose Anthem as our MCO. They would no longer cover the same medications that they had formerly covered when we were with their other plan. They even attempted to deny the condition existed. Appeals were useless as they pay physicians to review and deny these appeals. Anthem's decision-makers need to be held responsible for the harm they inflict on patients who are victims of their denials and greed. This will not stop until the public demands a single payer system like Medicare for all and refuses to allow any of the present insurers to participate.

Recently need to talk with a subrogation specialist. There are virtually no telephone numbers online that send you anywhere but sales. The law provides that when there is a subrogation element to claims, subrogation must be notified. This should be easy. It is impossible. Here is one number to the subrogation department where you can leave a message. We continue to await a call back.

I need help with my son's case whom is in his 40s. Oxygen is not reaching his lungs and he is literally suffocating to death. Anthem demands that he sees a neurologist first and the earliest appt. is in June to make sure that not being able to breath wasn't in his head. Anthem refused to pay the prescription for oxygen from the physician. Instead they told my son to stay on hydrocodone (highly addictive drug) because they know it makes it easier for individuals to breath when he talked with them.

They also refused to give him the medication that works for his asthma and instead placed him on something that does not work. Often now when the attacks hit, you can see the mottled from his feet start to move up his body (just as what happens when someone is dying). His feet and hands are swollen and cold, vision blurry, confusion. What can I do? Anthem said he could repeal the decision but it would take 70 days to do so and by then he would be seeing the neurologist. Even after seeing the neurologist, you are then talking about another sit back of days (month/months to be seen). I truly believe my son is in GRAVE DANGER. What can be done?

Greedy scum. Despite being covered by another insurance company, Anthem blocked payment of a procedure. I had everything approved in writing in advance. I called and wrote nearly 50 times. They stuck me with a $130,000.00 hospital bill. They are total scumbags.

Anthem is definitely more concerned with their bottom line than my health. My initial dealings were with CareMore, where they wanted to switch up some of my prescriptions. They were annoyed when I said I wanted to check with my primary care physician and never sent the promised report to my doctor. The changes they wanted to make would have been detrimental to my health. My doctor submitted twice a pre-authorization to see a specialist. It has been two months and despite many phone calls they have yet to make a decision. I have been having problems. My pulse ox levels have stayed in the 80's. I have been gasping for air. My primary care physician wanted me to immediately be placed on oxygen. After seven days, Anthem is still trying to decide on an approval. I would recommend this insurance to no one.

Briefly, I had health insurance with Blue Cross who used to be a "blue chip" insurance product. They are now the bottom of the barrel. I paid my premiums on time and even in advance. One day I get a check saying I overpaid. I thought that was strange, the next day I go to pick up a script - and my insurance was dropped. I call them - and they said I underpaid them. Huh? It's not possible - my proof is in my bank's clearance checks/history. Long story short, they sent me a letter saying they reactivated my account. Only when I called to find out about why I hadn't seen an upcoming charge - they told me I don't have insurance only dental. I told them I was canceling the dental since I didn't have the most important part/health insurance and she said she would cancel.

This morning, I see they ran the dental charge anyway. When I called to speak with someone about this - all I got were a bunch of advertisements with no customer service rep to talk with about my account that was being charged. Once they were done w/ a slew of advertisements, I was told to hang up/disconnect. They should be fined for their gross mismanagement.

So I had Anthem's dental insurance in 2015. I went to the dentist every week of February and made the mistake of thinking I had set up for auto pay. My bad I know but the dentist office would call and check on what my co-pay was for this or that every time I went and anthem never said a word about a missed payment and never sent me an email a call or a letter. Then in March I went and the dentist office said I had been canceled. Curious I called and discovered why and offered to pay last month and go ahead and pay march. They sad "nope too bad." So the next year I get a bill from the dentist and it's everything I had done with having anthem. They had back tracked to the end of January and terminated me and did not pay anything I had done leaving me with a debt of 500 dollars to pay.

My doctor diagnosed me with sinusitis and a middle ear infection. He prescribed a Z-pack (initial dosing over 5 days) with 1 refill. I finished the initial dosing schedule in 5 days, and called the pharmacy for my refill. My husband called from the pharmacy, on his way home, and said that Anthem was declining to pay their part of the refill. It was too soon. I said I was still sick and needed the refill for tomorrow's scheduled dose. My husband paid the full price for the second z-pack. I immediately call Anthem, waited for 10 minutes, was connected to Yolanda, explained the issue to her. She put me on hold. When she came back, she said I was due a refill on March 1st. She said my doctor had to call the with "prior authorization" for the refill to be covered. I called my doctor's office and explained what was going on.

Three days later, I again called Anthem, was connected to Shuba, explained the issue to her, and was put on hold for 5 minutes. When she came back online, she said I could only have 6 pills/30 days. I asked "who said this?" Shuba said "the FDA". I asked her to fax me doctor Anthem's "prior authorization" form. She said she would, but it would take 72 hrs. to process, it would be faster if the doctor called them (I'm thinking to myself, baloney, he has sick patients to see). I again called my doctor's office to let them know to expect the fax.

My doctor's office called me a couple of days later to said the form was signed by my doctor, and faxed to Anthem. I asked my pharmacy 3 days later to process the refill again. Anthem again rejected it. I called the pharmacy on 3/9/16, asking them to put the refill through a third time. Again it was denied. Anthem is practicing medicine without a license, interfering in my healthcare, and not paying valid pharmacy claims. They would be paying for my hospital bill, if I didn't pay for the refill, as this bacteria morphs into bronchitis! I filed a complaint against Anthem with the CT Insurance Department (a claims investigator has been assigned), and filed a complaint with the CT Better Business Bureau. This company should not be in the healthcare business.

In January 2015 I purchased a BCBS supplement for my 94-year old mother, along with their BCBS Medicare Rx plan. (FYI - My mother lives in assisted living in the dementia unit). Her supplement payments are automatically withdrawn from her checking account, but BCBS said the Rx plan could not be automatically withdrawn, (Why?... I don't know) therefore, they would send me a monthly bill and I would have to personally pay monthly.

Everything went fine until October/November of 2015. I always paid ahead of time, but around December 2015 I received a threatening letter that my mother's policy would be cancelled due to lack of payment stating that they had not received the October payment for the month of November. I called them and informed them that my October and November payments had already cleared my bank before the due date of the premium. Now this has continued with every single payment. They clear the bank and yet I am informed that they have not received these payments.

As I write this complaint, it is now February 29, 2016, and over the past months I have spent countless hours/days making phone calls, writing letters, faxing bank records and talking to numerous reps at BCBS attempting to get this resolved. Of course, everyone was polite, etc., and I was told each time they would put an "urgent" message on my account to address this issue. I continue to receive threatening letters each month, and the balance due keeps increasing, due to their crappy posting of payments, or whatever they are doing with my mother's money.

They asked for me to send copies of the front and back of the checks I sent. I explained numerous times that these were electronic checks sent through my bank and I do not have a "physical" check. So then I called my bank and they were able to email me copies of all of these transactions that had cleared the bank that BCBS could not account for. I then called BCBS to get an email address to forward these copies, and I was told that they do not have an email address and that I would have to mail them to a San Antonio, Texas address, even though my payments go to Carol Stream, IL, or I could FAX the copies to them. I did both earlier in February, along with another letter explaining the entire issue once again, and have not heard one word from them.

No one at BCBS has been held accountable for anything. It is entirely up to me to prove over and over that I paid. Obviously something changed in their company in the October/November 2015 time frame. I am so frustrated and tired of having to waste my time when I have proven to them that the mistake is on their end.

I am a mental health provider, I hate to deal with Anthem insurance. I have a very hard time reaching a customer service rep on the phone to deal with claims issues. Much of the time I just give up trying to get an answer to my questions regarding claims or authorizations or benefits. If I do manage to reach a person, inevitably they refer me to another number. Yesterday I called 7 numbers, all referred by an Anthem rep, and could not get an answer to a claim denial.

For reason unknown as why the first premium didn't get paid, customer service refused to renew my daughter's health care policy though they received subsidy money for the policy and sent out a letter to assure to call. I, my mother and Covered California rep were on the phone after many calls of statements. Blue Cross Anthem could not renew. Though a letter was sent they would be happy to help me. Covered California said Anthem is the only one can renew. My mother is looking at the letter saying where is the billing, second month billing or letter from Covered California of no coverage though renewed with paperwork printed? A letter comes mid Feb dated Feb 9 2016. The policy canceled and to call to renew with premium. I called. Was told the policy cancelled on Feb 10 2016. I then am told by another rep the policy cancelled on Jan 1 2016. That was the effective date. We spoke to many reps for hours.

The last supposed supervisors Andrew and Jessica were very mean. Andrew gave impression to Covered California rep everything was fine so that rep left the three way call. After 4 hours of screaming stressed purposely by Anthem supervisors Jessica said she would submit for renew and call back Thursday Feb 25 2016. I called again on Feb 26 2016. I was told by Hanna an email from the escalation team would be sent to Jessica to call me that same day and I was assured she would call that same day. I received no call. This policy should be renewed for the mistakes from Anthem of not sending a thirty day notice. The policy may cancel if not paid. It appears they feel nothing is their responsibility, are trained poorly or just don't want to do the work.

I have Anthem Blue Cross PPO. I pay over $400 a month (car bill) a lot for 32 years of age healthy and never a Dr. visit, just routine stuff. Found out I might have a hernia, went to see my doctor, seen my doctor and they gave me a list of surgeons. I ended up getting a $300 bill for a 10 minute visit with my doctor, turns out my doctor isn't in the Blue Cross network, my doctor said they'll waive the bill and try getting back into the network but that I needed to call Anthem. I called Anthem, lots of waiting on phone, I explained to them what happened and that from here on out I'll make sure to use doctors that are in the network and if they could please show some mercy and help me partially with this bill. Nope, it's my responsibility. They said there's a list of doctors in Anthem network on my Anthem Blue online account. NOT TRUE. My old doctor was on the list and she's the one trying to get back in the network.

Their system isn't up to date. For something as serious as people's health, what a shame. So I'm worried about my hernia, so I go to this "list in my Anthem online account," and I do a search for doctors that can "help" me in my area. There's different search fields, so I search for gastroenterologist (which it states on website that this is what I need) and I get to set a distance indicator (basically how far I'm willing to travel to see their "in network gastroenterologist"). I say to myself great, maybe there's something 5 miles down the road, nope, I ended up being told to head in San Leandro (in ghetto Oakland territory). I live in Livermore by the way.

I FEEL THAT THEY'RE GIVING ME HEALTH INSURANCE TREATMENT COMPARABLE TO THAT OF WHICH AN INMATE RECEIVES. I have this hernia still, scheduled an appointment with this doctor in Pleasanton. Fingers crossed that they fix me and that my insurance helps pay for it. Worried to death and feel hopeless. Please help ConsumerAffairs.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.
  • Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.
  • Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.
  • Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.
  • Best for Students, senior citizens