3.9/5 (1302 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Anthem

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Anthem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I have nothing but good things to say about Anthem, and the staff is truly there for their patients. There are some who may not be pleased with them, but I would like to ask you this question.? Have you really looked into where a hang-up up might have occurred, because I had similar issues that maybe you might have experienced, and I can say This much in all honesty truly try to research where a hang-up might be occurring, it could be The referral from your provider's medical group, it might be a lot of things that are simple miscommunication or honest error in the chain of things.

When I myself experienced issues I got involved with looking into things and of course by my own account did I do this. And anthem really went to bat and helped me greatly. You couldn't ask for a nicer more helpful team of people and group of very intelligent people I might add. Thank you anthem and all who are on your team, I owe a sincere debt of gratitude to you. Sincerely yours Rob..

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I have been with Anthem for many years and they have supplied superb coverage. I have often thought a procedure would not be covered and been pleasantly surprised. I have recommended them to friends and family and those who have enrolled have been happy as well. I have heard horror stories from other friends about nasty surprises in their coverage.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Very fantastic insurance policy.it has paid for everything my husband has had. He has been hospitalized several times in the past & has some more procedures coming up this year 2021. They have helped so much. The price of the policy is up there in price, but it is worth paying the cost of the insurance. He has Medicare and Medicaide also that covers the hospitalizations and procedures and doctors appointments.. It just a very good supplement for medicare.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I don't know if they are offering Anthem Plan F in your state, but I've had some medical bills over $100,000.00 and I never paid a penny out of pocket. It's so good that I have my premiums paid automatically every month to make sure it never lapses. I recently had a series of tests--about 10 of them--very exhaustive, and I never was billed a penny.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I have had a Silver Pathways Enhanced plan for the past 4 years and it has never failed me. It's has been the exact coverage for what I need at a price I cannot argue with. I've seen some 1 & 2 star reviews on this & while not wanting to negate other people's experience I have had nothing but excellent, cost efficient care with Anthem. I would recommend them to EVERYONE! I honestly don't understand why anybody would be unhappy with them. I was in the hospital this past year & it was 100% covered after I met my deductible & out of pocket max. My RX's the same. The doctors in network are amazing. I'll never switch, even if I was to find a cheaper plan. Love them!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I have intestinal surgery three weeks ago where over 1/3 of intestines were removed. My pain doctor increased medication temporarily for a limited time and this insurance company denied his prescription because of the increase.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

The list of providers on Anthem’s website is YEARS out of date. The list provided by Psychology Today was more accurate and had more options for providers that accept Anthem. The representative at Anthem said that they have to rely on providers to keep the list up to date, which is ridiculous. It is appalling that the insurance company cannot provide an accurate list of its own providers.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I went to Anthem's website to change my primary care physician as I had moved. I selected a doctor and found that not only had he relocated to another state, the phone number listed didn't even belong to a doctor's office. The second doctor I added as my PCP, no longer worked at the office listed on Anthem's website. I did a live chat on Anthem's website for help on this issue. Someone named Kyle emailed me a list that had the same names as before. What a waste of time....

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I have Anthem Bronze Pathway WI with a $6550 deductible so basically a discount med card. Was ok as usually had 50% discount on med bills, but after a surprise ER visit only 20% less than a $1,000 leaving me almost $4,000 to pay plus the ambulance and the ER Dr. They claim they only discount a flat fee for the ER instead of a percentage, but there is no price transparency and nothing on the website about this. I'm still under the deductible and I'm sure if I wasn't they wouldn't be discounting it 20%, probably 50%. I spoke to the customer rep and was told this was a common situation and advised to appeal and it might be improved so I did that. I also filed a complaint with the Wi Insurance Commissioner. I'm waiting to hear what resolution there will be if any.

I was expecting a 50% discount like all my prior bills had been. It was a total unpleasant shock. I hope it will be fixed to a fair 50% discount as I'm worried about running out of money as a retired person on a fixed income. It's very frustrating and I would have received a greater discount on the hospital bill if I was insured! I don't know if this was legal. I was worried about a surprise medical bill from the ER Dr, but didn't expect it to be from the ER itself! The ER Dr bill was discounted 50% still over $700 plus an ambulance over $700 so the bill will be over $5,000 if this isn't fixed with the ER visit. I'm so sick and tired of having to worry about medical bills and when can we have national health insurance. Even expanded medicare would be a major improvement.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

They use a third party administration American Specialty Health to bill for things like acupuncture and then they pay the acupuncturist $40 total for an hour treatment. No more acupuncturists accept it anymore.

Anthem author review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information