Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.41/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

501 Anthem Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 16, 2019

We like our plan. We don't like our hospital choices. Little disappointed with some of the charges for generic drugs. Our doctors are great. We're very happy with no premium. Takes a while to get statements from other medical places, even though they have a copay. Always afraid that they will not pay for something that we thought was included...

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received a bill from a Doctor's accounting firm in another state regarding my wife's hospital stay approx. 3 months early. I contacted Anthem via telephone for an explanation. Anthems representative put me on hold while she contacted the billing party, then allowed me to join a 3 way meeting. This issue was resolved to all parties' satisfaction. I was very happy the way this was handled by Anthem.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's expensive for a senior but no worse than other plans. I recently had a cataract op on both eyes. Total cost $31000 which Medicare & Anthem covered most of it but my friend in England had the same op (privately - not on the National Health) for about $3000 - i.e. 90% cheaper. How come it costs ten times more here.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Good policy for the price I pay. Easy to read statement of benefits. Easy access to a representative if I have a question about my policy. For people who require vitamin D in cold climates where you get very little sun they should allow and pay for more than 800 units per day as our doctors recommend more than that amount each day.

Original review: March 16, 2019

We had Anthem Medicare Coverage for several years. They were very accommodating in many ways. What turned us off was their constant phone calls of different types of physicals and exams we should be involved in. It got to a point, where we were hearing from them daily and would just ignore the calls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Refused to tell me what they'd cover for medical assistance, they blamed the medical offices, and lied by saying that the offices had the contract on what Anthem would pay, not Anthem. When I asked for a manager, he told me on 9/10/2019 that he would not tell me their negotiated rates, continued to lie by blaming the medical offices, and told me it was my fault since I was the one seeking out medical help. It's my fault. Great thing to tell someone seeking a psychiatrist for depression.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Are you ** serious? I call, wait 10 minutes on hold, only to get transferred to someone else immediately. Then, I'm told I have to contact the hospital to have them re-submit a claim to your company. I guess your employees are too busy jerking everyone else around to take care of "insurance" related issues. While I'm attempting to get a straight answer whether or not the hospital I went to (3 months ago that I'm just getting a bill for now???) is In-Network or not (she would neither confirm or deny) I get disconnected because it's after 5:00?!

Now I understand a medical insurance company isn't in the business of helping people, all that matters is how you can screw over anyone with a medical issue. Not to worry, I've got the entire conversation recorded and I'll be letting everyone know just what kind of treatment they can expect from Anthem. Call if you need help, but make sure it doesn't take too long.

But hey, if you start actually paying claims I guess you wouldn't be able to pay out 193 million dollars to your shareholders (4th QTR 2018), or another 205 million (1st QTR 2019), the people you really care about, it's clearly not your customers. WOW! Almost 400 million dollars paid out (in a 6 month time period) but you can't keep your phones open past 6:00 pm EST? Your company, and others like it, is part of the reason this country is turning to **.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Have recently signed up with them since my other insurance would not cover most of my scripts. I called and told them what meds I was on and the dosages which I was assured were covered by the agent I was speaking to just to find out that I needed pre-authorization which I was told I would not need. Called them Re. issue and was assured that my concerns would be taken care of Re: my meds. And never heard from them afterwards. I just wish they would have been upfront so that I could have made an intelligent decision. I am now stuck.

Also, I was informed of other free benefits I would receive through them and also found out that I was gonna have to make payments on those "FREE" benefits. At the very least they are very deceiving. I call it downright lying. I would like to give them a minus zero. Not even so much because of coverage (though important to me) but because of the BS I was handed when signing up with them and for not following through with my concerns.

Original review: July 11, 2019

So frustrated with your Anthem’s appeal process. Someone could die waiting for a appeal to be reviewed. I get no answer or updates from Anthem at all other than it can take up to 60 days to review. I need answers now! I have been suffering since December and no one at Anthem seems to care.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Being offered free otc things sounds great until you try to purchase anything. It's a real issue. Either they just dont have the plan set up well or some people are just idiots. It took me 3 months to be able to order or buy anything and they got the order very wrong. You may have to call several times to get someone to even place an order for you. It would be much easier if they just allowed you to order online. Buying from Walmart is a pain in the butt. They aren't real familiar with the program either. The otc products available seem to be things for healthy people not things that may help you get better.

Anthem expert review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

• Best for: Students, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information