Anthem

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I write this as I have been on hold for ONE AND A HALF HOURS so far. And all I want to do is cancel my term life insurance which DOUBLED this month to $200! Contact the State Dept of Insurance, when health insurance cancelled me because I guess I was costing them too much (I have a very rare blood disorder requiring 4 consecutive days of blood infusions at an infusion center in a hospital EVERY other week). I went online and filed a complaint. It took three months, but the insurance company was forced to reinstate me and cover all my medical costs. None of the infusion centers were in my plan. Hang in there, I know what it's like with a bad back. Have had multiple laminectomies myself.

Misplaced my old card and wanted a new ID card for the new year anyway. (Haven't been issued a card since 2015.) Automated phone system told me it would be 40 minutes before the call was answered. Waited on hold for well over an hour. Where is the customer service? Is there only one person answering your phones? And the automated recording kept suggesting I "email the inquiry" every 45 seconds. No, I CAN'T email without knowing my ID number. So frustrating!

Finally got a representative, but she couldn't help me or find me in the system without an ID number either. Put on hold for an additional 25 minutes. Not the rep's fault, but you could hear the frustration in her voice. The system they have to work with as well as being understaffed is maddening. Transferred to another rep/department to try to find me in the system. Another 10 minutes on hold. Finally transferred one last time with an additional 15 minutes on hold. I just needed a new card and I HAD to speak with a human being. Again, no issue with the reps, but what should have been a simple request took two hours of my work day.

Anthem chooses to be the most inefficient company possible when it comes to processing claims and reimbursements directly to patients/parents. My pediatric dentist will not submit claims directly to Anthem; however, both my husband's and my dentist will file claims, but not participate as an Anthem provider. When our claims are submitted by the adult dentists, they are processed within 48 hours. Not the same story when I, the policyholder, sends in the claim forms for my children. The timeframe is now 30-60 days!!! Then, once processed, the reimbursement check isn't mailed for another 7-10 business days from the date processed!! Oh my, this has meant that nearly $1500 that I had to pay upfront for my child's abscessed tooth is being held hostage by Anthem for almost 90 days before I, the policyholder, receives my reimbursement.

This business practice is completely unacceptable! To make matters worse, when calling customer service, I am told that they can't reach or contact the processing center to even verify that the claim has been received. If something went awry in the submission you will never know it until you give up waiting for it to appear on the website. Additionally, customer services can't say when or if the payment has been processed and they can't advise you as to when you will receive payment because, as I was told, no one can contact the Claims Department! Can anyone imagine a company being run so inefficiently?

Anthem is just awful. Absolutely awful to work with. Please think long and hard before getting insurance through them. Their customer service for one thing is the worst I have ever experienced and I myself have worked in a call center before so I know what it's like and can empathize but this was just ridiculous. Not only did they not cancel my coverage when I requested it (called in, multiple messages on my account, and even wrote an official letter). Still got charged and THEN this past week not only did they not cancel my policy but they renewed my coverage with a new policy (much worse than my previous one) and much higher premiums.

How can you possibly renew/enroll a customer in a new policy without their knowledge or consent. You can be most certain that I will keep looking into this to help ensure this gets resolved and that no one else has to deal with an issue like this again either. I am so, so disappointed with my experience. I had them years ago and had an alright experience but after this nightmare I am steering as many people away as I can so no one has to deal with what I did.

My wife and I recently had to select a new insurance company to get us through until I'm 65. At $2237 a month, I figured "how bad could it be". We have only been with Anthem for 4 days. I have tried to call customer service numerous times. First two times, waited 40 minutes and had to hang up. Jan. 2nd - finally got a hold of them to set up auto pay because their website is continually not working. Spoke to lady, she assured me she had me set up on auto-pay and would send an email confirmation. Email never came but I got an email Jan. 3rd reminding me to pay by Feb. 1st. Been on hold now for 1 hr 17 minutes.

That's one issue. My doc's office also tried to get me approved for a test yesterday - they spent 5 hours with Anthem and another company Aims Services who actually approve tests. Both companies are having "computer problems" so nothing can get approved. Wonder how much money they saved with people giving up! Unbelievable first 4 days with this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

I have enrolled in Anthem Blue Cross Silver EPO through Covered CA. The payment has been processed. ABC has confirmed my member status via email. And of course sends me info on additional products. However, they have not supplied my member # in any format. Without a member #, there is literally no way to access their system (to register or log in) - or even to lodge a complaint. Calling 800-333-0912 or 888-553-5423 has resulted in a 1 hour 40 minute wait (last week - after citing a 1 hour wait time), and today the system literally says "Call volume is very high, we cannot take your call." I have insurance coverage with absolutely no access to it because the member # is the key, and if they don't provide it I have no way to access them. They have built the perfect wall. I would seriously consider another provider if you are reading this and customer service matters to you at all. It had to be awful for me to take the time to write this.

I will from now on subscribe with other providers, anything but Anthem. I finally found a plan, a ridiculously expensive plan at that. A draft was made from our account in the amount of $1100 in December 2016. I made 2 calls to them in the same month asking to please send us the ID cards. Here it is Jan 4, 2017, I have no cards, I am sick and my daughter is sick and have no cards to go for a doctor visit. I go on their site, and it tells me that I am not a member. I have been given every number on earth only to speak to a machine. The lack of service and lack of human contact and apathy is just heinous. I am beyond frustrated. Now I am on a call waiting and they say that the wait time is 1 hour. Anthem ought to be ashamed of themselves for being such a suck ass company. I am LIVID.

I moved from a HMO plan to a PPO plan this year so I could see a spinal surgeon that I had researched and been referred to and have more choices. I did my research and made sure he was in network not even thinking that the hospital he is affiliated with would be an issue, I proceed to see him and made plans to have the spinal procedure he had recommended only to discover that my policy has something called Blue Distinct+ facilities for spine surgery and even though he was in network, the only hospital he is affiliated with is not. The list I was given as to the hospitals I could have the surgery at was very limited with only 22 facilities in the entire state of California and not a single one in San Diego county. I have proceeded to file a appeal/grievance which has been a joke and pushed aside and even deleted without giving me a response, forcing me to create another one and wait even longer.

Every time I have called I have to explain the situation to yet another person and am told everything from "I can't transfer you to the appeal's department" to "I handle all the departments and will email the person above me for you." This whole process and issues I have had has been a total nightmare and have caused me possible permanent damage and pain I am having a hard time controlling and they still won't expedite my appeal because it is not a life threatening issue. So now they expect me to start all over again with limited choices of doctors and facilities that meet the two criteria of in-network and affiliated with a Blue Distinct+ hospital and when I have already establish a relationship and researched a doctor I am comfortable with.

My doctor has also gone the extra mile for me and file a appeal on my behalf and even contacted the hospital CEO to see if they could work with Anthem get the surgery done. It is ridiculous that Anthem has this policy to hide behind and deny people a surgery that they desperately need all over money and which hospital they can pay the least to.

My pharmacy acknowledged me with a premium problem on my account. So I wanted to call in the customer service to see what's happening. I hold for 1 hour and 5 minutes, and the music finally stopped and there was the dialing tone. However, there was no sign of anyone picking up the phone!! I can't believe the call just ended after one minute of no sound and hung up with a "thank you for calling Anthem healthkeepers, goodbye."

Why can't this company add a call back service so consumers do not have to wait and be HUNG UP?! Not only this was a horrible experience, but last time I had a question about out of state benefits and when I finally got a REAL person to pick up the line, she was super impatient when I tried to ask her to speak slowly and repeat the benefits of my plan. I was transferred to the market place, then back to that representative, and then somewhere else where none solved my problem of getting a plan where out of state benefits are available. No one gave me the suggestion of whether if Anthem healthkeepers have a plan that will cover out of state nor any way avoiding to get a health insurance in another state.

My wife and I have had Anthem Ohio Blue MedicareRX for all of 2016 and have been struggling with billing issues all year. All payments have been submitted in a timely manner. Have yet to receive a correct bill and keep getting notices threatening to cancel the insurance. Two calls have been made to the company to no avail. Bank statements detail all payments as having been delivered but the company provides conflicting info. Unless you have time to spend on the phone, I'd beware of this one!

I am very upset with Anthem, taking all of our jobs to different countries. We have good customer service in the U.S. I'm tired of not understanding the person on the other end of the phone. I call for insurance information benefits and get prior authorization for patients. I spend so much time on hold waiting for the customer service rep to give me what I need. With other insurance companies -- Humana, UnitedHealthcare -- I don't have that problem, ONLY with Anthem. I'm tired of you'll sending our jobs to other countries. I'm glad my company don't carry this insurance. The service is poor and their systems are always slow or they have to reboot or something.

First of all, I am a physician. And a patient. I understand the medical business very well, after 30 years as a physician. And I can completely understand the frustration my patients have for this inept system. Anthem is the worst example I can cite for what is wrong with healthcare today. Their premiums have increased 25%, their coverage has plummeted, and their customer service is abysmal. I just spent 30 minutes online trying to get access to my account, but the website would not take my login password.

So I called their customer service number, trying to speak to a human to sort out the problem. The woman at the other end barely spoke English, and had a microphone that kept cutting out of the conversation. She assured me that my password was correct. I assured her that it would not work. So she gave me a new temporary password to log on. It didn't work, either. 15 minutes later, I had a similar phone conversation with Express Scripts, the inept online pharmacy that Anthem uses - and I had similar results. Unable to logon with previous passwords, unable to refill prescriptions, and I was given erroneous information on how to fix the problem. My advice: RUN, do not walk, away from this insurer and find anyone else you can - my $1440 a month in premiums is worthless if I cannot even access the system.

Been on ABC for couple of years and never needed it. Now I need to find a primary care Dr and there are none available. Their website hasn't been updated in years. The only dr's that are accepting new patients are taking appointments 7 months in advance. They offer NOTHING to their customers, but still take the full premiums from us. Obamacare at its worst.

I've been struggling with back issues the last few months. I continued to work until I could hardly stand/walk. My dr took me off work and referred me to a neurosurgeon which takes almost a month to get in to see. In the meantime I have them fill out my short term disability forms. Approx 4 weeks ago. And I have yet to even be "approved" for the short term by their "doctors" that evidently look over all my mri's and prior treatments. I've called three times this week. First time my "caseworker" was at her desk but for some reason wouldn't answer. In turn I was told that she technically had until the end of the following day to get in touch with me on the determination.

Ok, I waited until the following day and lo and behold no call. So I called there once again. I was told I could leave her a message and she will get back to me the following day. I said "no, I was told she had to call me with the answer TODAY!" So, she transferred me to a manager. Wow, much to my surprise they did not answer either so I left another message.

Now today I call once again. My caseworker is not available. Would I like to leave her a message? NO, I want answers, not voice mail. So she tells me my file shows they have not made a determination on it yet. I repeated what I had been told two days prior and said "I want answers!" So, once again they transfer me to a manager who does not answer so I leave yet another message. So I've been off work for 4 weeks now with no income and bills to pay. My son is type 1 diabetic and he still has to have his insulin so where is this money coming from to pay for that not to mention my Dr bills that are adding up. Grrr.

I also have Anthem blue cross blue shield for insurance. My drs been trying to find a pain medication that will help. They gave me one, I took it to the pharmacy and was told my insurance had to pre authorize it before they would fill it and if they don't cover it. It's $700! What?! So I let my drs office know and when they hear back from bcbs they all if I've tried, and rattled off three medications. So my Dr prescribed one of the three insurance listed.

I ran to town, picked up the prescription, took it to the pharmacy and they come out and say, "This needs to be pre authorized before we can fill it." Are you kidding me? So now I can hardly walk, much less function doing anything else, having been out of my old pain pills for two days now. I'm so fed up. Wish for once the shoe was on the other foot. How would they like if their health depended on what a large corporation felt was "right for them"? How can they make a determination without seeing how much pain you're in.

I just applied online for Blue Cross & paid my first premium. Then I look up phone numbers. The operator on the line tells me the Reno line is dead, then the Las Vegas line is not in working order. He finally gives me a national line for Anthem and then after going through many loops of automation I say "Applicant" and... "technical difficulties" and the line is cut-off. I am not even sure if they have customer service, and if the Reno & Vegas lines have not been in use for a while does that mean their offices have closed down?

First off, it's every BC/BS state, plan, it's just the company itself. I am a member of their federal employee pool; the largest single employee pool in the nation for private health insurance. I've come to the realization that this company, along with just about every other company that interacts with customers simply doesn't get it and simply doesn't care to get it. Too big to fail I suppose. Ok, on to my observation. Got a notice in the mail that BCBS is sharing my info with our beloved Federal Government as required by everyone's favorite unaffordable care act. What they fail to supply the Govt is our Social Security numbers. We, the customer are required to do so. If in fact we do not do so, we are liable for a shared portion of the fine. BCBS will be charged I believe a $50 "fine". Now, it would appear, our beloved Otrauma care is extending the ability to fine/tax the citizenry to private companies who we pay in the first place to use their services... I digress.

Really this isn't my main beef. My main issue/concern is twofold. 1. I am required to obtain a PIN in order to register my info with IRS.gov from BCBS by way of accessing my account. I cannot establish a PIN online. You have to call customer service, and no, it isn't an automated process. Hello 21st century, hello PITA BCBS. Call back during business hours; business hours not designed to support some of us working class stiffs who travel out of town to work in this awesomely roaring economy. Ok, I guess I can carve out time at work while on the clock and do so... so much for convenience on my terms. Why these people go to work before 10 am and have weekends off is beyond me. Well, maybe not. It would appear as though we the customer work for them, not them for us. I digress yet again.

Issue #2 when I, one of their cherished customers attempts to provide some honest feedback/constructive criticism, no mechanism via their web page or other means exists. Essentially, don't have any issues outside of "business hours" and certainly don't try to reach out to them to voice your concerns. I'd fire these clowns but I imagine that "they" are all like this. It's a failed industry and we're all stuck holding the bag together. I want out but have no choice. Very American of us huh? And here we all are complaining about an NFL QB not standing up during the national anthem when we ought to be OUTRAGED at this ACA and the lack of accountability in this nation in ref to our government. Taxation without representation. Hate the fact they're making me vote Trump.

I am extremely dissatisfied with our health care insurance. They cover NOTHING. And we have paid them thousands of dollars since February. I just tried to log a complaint with someone on the phone and they let me know that their complaint department doesn't get back to clients... What kind of business is run like that? Health care is an absolute disgrace in this country.

I have an individual policy for which I pay $2000.00/mo premium and a $6,000 deductible. After the deductible is met all costs are supposed to be paid by my policy and have been over the years. My policy's deductible was recently met and suddenly, today, after many years of being prescribed a particular medicine for migraines which has no generic, and for which we've paid OOP till our deductible was met, I found out that the pharmacist tried to run it through and got back a message that I needed a prior authorization. This, despite a couple of weeks ago being told that it was too soon to fill and we needed to wait a couple of days.

I paid cash for that prescription. But now I'm told I need prior authorization which our doctor said can take weeks. If I end up with a bad migraine I will be forced to go to the emergency center which BC/BS will have to pay for so I can't see how this decision of theirs (which they blame on EXPRESS SCRIPTS) can possibly be a sound monetary one not to mention a breaking of our contract of care.

Since Obama care this product is worthless to me as it is affordable, the deductible alone is half my years income on social security, and increasing every year.

Also they are still in the dark ages, you can't even make payments online.

Insurance is worthless! I have been with this insurance carrier for over 35 years, with very minimal use. You would think I would at least get a Thank You card for all the huge buildings I have helped them build. Anyhow, I recently got a diagnosis of prostate cancer. I did my research, and found several options that would give me a better quality of life, after treatment. None of the positive options I found were covered. However the ones that would insure that I would pee and, crap my pants for the rest of my life, and most likely produce cancer to other parts of my body, those were covered. Who sets behind the desk in the office, that my premiums paid for and makes these foolish decisions. Obviously no one that has prostate cancer.

35 years of caring and providing for the thousands of patients in my healthcare career, and this is my payback. I'm just going to ride this one out and let it run its course. I would have been better off to have never worked and got on Medicaid, at least I could get the care I need. Once again let me reiterate Anthem insurance is pathetic when you face a serious health problem.

The EOB was sent without an address to appeal/dispute. They require you to call. Calling and talking with a person is a waste of time because I'm still getting bills. Called 4 times today and after their ridiculous automated system that makes you answer questions, it says to call back later because they are having trouble with the system. I guess thanks to Obama. I'm paying for health insurance and now even more for the bills coming through. Anthem's EOB doesn't even explain... it says to pay the "amount allowed by the benefit". Why am I paying for insurance? What "benefit"? IT WAS A ROUTINE ANNUAL PHYSICAL EXAM. I guess I won't be doing that anymore!

Beware of Anthem HealthKeepers Inc. After moving to VA. from N.C. we decided to move our NC Blue Cross Blue Shield. What a disaster! In January we received our premium amount and paid 3 months too in advance. In April, we received a refund for March's payment and at the same time Anthem put a hold on our prescription benefits, for non-payment. After contacting them they asked for March and April's payment, and the cost had increased over $100 a month. We agreed to the increase because of the need for the medications being held hostage.

In May I received a bill for $2,400 for April and May's premium. After contacting them again, I was told that our policy had been terminated because that's what we owe. Before it could be resolved, I received a new bill for $1,600. After not having the needed medications, I reluctantly paid it. In June I received another invoice for $802 for July's payment, and a letter stating I owed $360 by the due date of 7/6/16, or the insurance would be canceled. I went online and paid it and the next day in the mail I received a refund for $802.

I contacted a supervisor to look into the issues and she could not explain but requested an audit to be completed the same day. At this point we have been out of our prescription drugs for over 3 weeks. Not hearing back as promised, I contacted them 4 days later however I cannot get Teresa on the phone or to return a call. I spoke with her supervisor Anne ** who informed me she couldn't help and that I would have to wait until we are contacted by Teresa. I asked to speak with Mrs. **'s supervisor and she told me, the only way she could contact her supervisor was by email and if I wanted to speak with her, I would have to leave a voice message and she would return my call in 48 hours.

I took my 17-yr-old son to the doctor to have a mandatory meningitis shot only to find out he wasn't covered! He was terminated 7 months ago yet I'm still paying premiums. After complaining to HR and Anthem I find out Anthem dropped him in error due to his info getting mixed up with another person based on birthdate only. Not once did they check to see if there was more than one person with that birthdate, didn't check social security numbers, didn't check if other coverage was in force, didn't even send me a termination notice, didn't verify that they had the right person, just dropped him. Thank God he wasn't in a life threatening situation. Total incompetence! But still if I pay for insurance I expect it to work!!!

I cannot express how horribly disappointed I have been with every element of Anthem/BlueCross BlueShield's performance. This business has failed to show any aptitude in the most basic of functions required to execute in any satisfactory way the requirements of their contracts. As they know, because I have spend over ten hours on the phone dealing with, or waiting to deal with their incompetence over the course of less than 5 month tenure as a captive enrollee, my account was scheduled to close as of a date certain!!! I MOVED OUT OF STATE! I confirmed this with them and the exchange multiple times. They could not even do me the most basic service of CANCELING THIS ACCOUNT AS WE DISCUSSED OVER THE PHONE! No instead they sent me yet another bill.

No Anthem, I do not owe you yet another monthly payment for a service that I received no value from that was canceled after I moved out of state. "Who's canceling" I confirmed with your incompetent staff. There is no longer a contract between you and I. I am not longer eligible as I purchased this JUNK of a product through the exchange in CT who also communicated to you that I was no longer eligible after moving out of state. I have NEVER in my whole life been more disturbed by the abject failure of a company. I can't get my time, money, or sanity back. What has American business come to?!?

I have an insurance plan through my work through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. I had surgery on February 23rd. I had to be opened up in 4 places, 3 on my foot and 1 on my leg, but was in the hospital just 1 day. I have been on a knee scooter since the surgery and as of June 23rd has now been 5 months. My bones are not healing and I can’t move on to the next step of physical therapy till I have had bone stimulation to fuse the bones. My doctor has done blood work to see if I am low on anything or have anything that would warrant my bones not to heal on their own. Everything came back fine. So my doctor has ordered me to have bone stimulation and we have been waiting on approval from you. I am sure that my doctor supplied all the documentation that your medical director would need but now this is going on 4 weeks since they received my file.

Because of the type of policy I have, I am being tagged as initially not important. I cannot control the type of insurance my employer offers. The company that is supposed to be hearing back from you on the pre-authorization has been calling every day to check on the status because he knows I am having a lot of issues not being able to walk. They are being told that because I have an Anthem policy, my issues are of no importance. The doctor will not let me put any weight on this foot till the bones are healed. I am having pain on the knee that has to be on the scooter and pain in the foot that I primarily have most of my weight on most of the time, and my hip and back, not to mention how unhealthy this is for me to not be able to exercise, which is causing weight gain. I am alone and have to do for myself.

Before I could have the surgery I had to pay my deductible plus 20% of the facility fee which was $1,923. To you this might be pocket change, but to me it’s not. I also paid for the knee scooter, crutches, and the toilet handles myself because I didn’t want to have to deal with your company, and the fact that I knew the knee scooter wouldn’t be approved. Crutches alone are not safe, don’t allow you to do for yourself and I didn’t need anything else happening. It seems from what I have seen happen with other people in my office that have this insurance, that authorizations are delayed in hopes it will roll over to the next year warranting the deductible to be paid again or that they can get more money out of the policy holder. I don’t have that kind of money. This is by far the worst insurance I have ever seen. I have people ask me all the time "who are you with and why are they doing this to you?"

I need to know who else I can contact, besides you. This is awful for a patient to endure when they have no choice in terms of the insurance they are covered by and should not be tagged by this. I can't help but be extremely irate. I am also going to report this to the Better Business Bureau and anyone else that has to do with health insurance and with names of the people I have contacted. If at all possible, do not get insurance through Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield. I would not want anyone to endure what I've had to. Because of the kind of insurance my employer offers which is only this one, the help I need is of no importance to this provider.

I have fruitlessly been trying to get 2 months premium from anthem for 2 months that I had dual coverage through kaiser for, and am still on thank god. Since I originally made the grave mistake of going through covered california even though I was not able to receive any discount - I have to deal with this monstrosity in order to have anthem give me back my premiums. I had no knowledge of being dually covered due to my place of employment closure - until late, then I called cov calif. And they are refusing to give me back my premiums. They claim that I have to file an appeal, unbelievable! This is a vicious cycle which is ridiculous and time consuming and I would think be $ foolish also.

I thought that covered california was supposed to have been created to make the healthcare processes easier but it seems it has created the opposite effect - chaos and confusion and miscommunication. I'M really not sure if it is Anthem blue cross or covered california who is at fault and cannot get on it to fix problems such as this with an easy fix and not create such confusion and conflict. Help!

I have had very few health issues in my life. Rarely ever needed or used my insurance. Just paid premiums year after year. I am a big guy 6 foot 3 380 lbs but have been healthy my whole life. Take no medicine for anything. I am 41 year father of 4. Recently my wife told me that my snoring has been noticeably worse. Shared this with my Dr. and he recommended I sleep study done in hospital. Insurance says no and says I have to take home a machine. Test results confirm I have moderate sleep apnea. Dr. says I need a follow-up sleep study done in hospital. Anthem says "nah".

What a joke! Why does insurance get to make medical decisions regarding my health? Why do I pay premiums? I guess if I had a medical card it would be immediately approved. But I have a JOB and PAY for insurance so I get screwed. The only good thing is I do have money and attorney friends. I guess this is the only way you can get things done nowadays.

I have Anthem and it's a Joke. I retired in Jan 2016 from my employment. My wife is also employed by the same company, so I just went on her insurance because it was good coverage. Her insurance went up $100.00 every two weeks. So I had to go to the Doctor for a Senior check up in March, so I gave them my new insurance card assuming my coverage was the same. They put it in their system and said I no longer had a co-pay. "Great," I thought.

Well later I get the bill from the doctor, Anthem only paid around $109.00 of a roughly $600.00 dollar bill. Normally my end of the bill would have around $200.00. "Wow, they must have made a mistake," I thought, so I called them. The person said I had Medicare Plan B and they only paid 20% of the bill because they were a Secondary Policy. "Wait," I told her, "my medicare is for hospital only. I do not have Medicare Plan B." Her response basically was, "Well that's our policy, you have to have Medicare Plan B," so they are forcing me to have Medicare Plan B. To say I'm upset with them is putting it mildly. They are charging my wife $200.00 more a month for less coverage on me.

I am new to Anthem Healthkeepers. I was lured over by the best marketing tool ever. Save a little money. Well my first experience is I was diagnosed with having a skin infection that requires a prescription for a medicated cream and antibiotics. This has been about 3-4 months ago. Anthem approved the antibiotics but denied the medicated cream for the burning rash on my leg, stating that this was not medical needed product for my condition. I am still messing with this rash today 5/24/16. The second thing was I tried to order my CPAP machine supplies through SleepMed Therapy and was told that ANTHEM denied those too. Anthem wants me to take off from work and take my machine to have a chip read to make sure I use this machine regularly.

Now why would I bother ordering supplies if I do not use this thing. So I call Anthem up and was told that until I take this to a doctor that this machine is not medically necessary for me. I have been using this machine for the past 2-3 years and have never had this kind of issue. They want you to pay them for insurance that they refuse to service. I told them I will be seeking any way possible to get rid of these jokers, and was told that there would be a fee for leaving them early. WTF. They can't even provide a service. Speak to my Lawyer. Please people do not chose ANTHEM for anything.

First of all because I asked the woman three times to explain it to me so I could completely understand, she became VERY rude! Secondly why is everyone I speak to with a billing question, a rude woman who does not understand nor speak English? VERY infuriating! And finally what is the point of insurance if I take my child to the ER and they pay 0, nothing, nada? Insurance from every aspect is a joke and if I don't have it our government is going to penalize me! Give.Me.A.Break.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.
  • Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.
  • Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.
  • Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.
  • Best for Students, senior citizens