Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5
Based on 1,041 ratings submitted in the last year

Anthem Call Now Toll Free (855) 265-7192 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Anthem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Very fantastic insurance policy.it has paid for everything my husband has had. He has been hospitalized several times in the past & has some more procedures coming up this year 2021. They have helped so much. The price of the policy is up there in price, but it is worth paying the cost of the insurance. He has Medicare and Medicaide also that covers the hospitalizations and procedures and doctors appointments.. It just a very good supplement for medicare.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I don't know if they are offering Anthem Plan F in your state, but I've had some medical bills over $100,000.00 and I never paid a penny out of pocket. It's so good that I have my premiums paid automatically every month to make sure it never lapses. I recently had a series of tests--about 10 of them--very exhaustive, and I never was billed a penny.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I have had a Silver Pathways Enhanced plan for the past 4 years and it has never failed me. It's has been the exact coverage for what I need at a price I cannot argue with. I've seen some 1 & 2 star reviews on this & while not wanting to negate other people's experience I have had nothing but excellent, cost efficient care with Anthem. I would recommend them to EVERYONE! I honestly don't understand why anybody would be unhappy with them. I was in the hospital this past year & it was 100% covered after I met my deductible & out of pocket max. My RX's the same. The doctors in network are amazing. I'll never switch, even if I was to find a cheaper plan. Love them!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I will have to brag on Anthem for their “Fathering In Policy”. Somehow I didn’t receive or never seen a bill for approximately 2 months (I had an address Change and believe that was the culprit) so when I finally noticed my insurance had been cancelled. I called them promptly and the gentleman helping me was so helpful and got my insurance reinstated. It has been as though it never lapses. Such a blessing!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

It seems easier to share reports on when insurance companies get things all fouled up, but how often do we take the time to let others know when they do their jobs well? Perhaps not often enough! Over the years there's been much to complain about when it comes to third party health insurers, and I've made my opinions known in that regard. Now it's time for me to formally recognize improvements in service that I've noticed since the onset of the pandemic.

First, Blue Cross made it rather easy to have telephone consultations ("Visits") with the doctor without having to go through a lot of rigamarole to have that service reimbursed. Several months ago I needed some expensive diagnostic testing and apparently the doctor's office and hospital were able to handle the pre-cert smoothly enough that I didn't even have to get involved in contacting the insurer!

I encountered an issue with our pharmacy benefits program (not managed by Blue Cross) and a Blue Cross telephone representative was kind enough to initiate a 3-way call to the PBM. Given some of the stories I've heard about how long and how difficult it can be to contact that one particular PBM, my guess is that the Blue Cross agent probably saved me at least a couple of hours of work by initiating that call on my behalf. I was also pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to wait too very long (less than 15 minutes!) on hold to speak to the Blue Cross agent. Every health plan member deserves to receive that kind of prompt, courteous service!

The reason I have rated Blue Cross only 4 stars rather than 5 has to do with a corporate policy and how their telephone queue operates. Whereas many health care sector businesses are open on Saturdays, their call center (for members) is not. Furthermore, questions must be answered/data must be input into their telephone system before you even get the 'courtesy' of receiving a recorded message that tells you they are not open and says 'call back later.' If it's a weekend, wouldn't just make more sense to play that recording upfront? So many businesses operate their phone messaging system that way! Perhaps they don't want to do that because they are data mining and monitoring all the calls that come in, whether or not anyone is there to actually pick up the phone.

Original review: March 19, 2021

I am a medical biller and Anthem is a scam. They deny your claims randomly just because they don't want to pay. They will hang up on you when you request to escalate the situation and half the time they will give you false information to relay to the policy holder. The morons working there don't know up from down and they don't have their policyholders best interest in mind. All they care about is getting away with not paying.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Coverage is very minimal compared to what is taken out of my paycheck every month. Would recommend anthem insurance to anyone. I don’t know when Blue Cross got into dental insurance but it’s horrible.

Original review: March 6, 2021

Chronic pain - fused neck. New issue, shooting pain down left arm, numb thumb and two fingers, under arm pit pain, Turn head left, pain shoots down arm Dr. order MRI. Anthem denies the MRI as not a necessary procedure. Really. Neck pressing on nerve is serious. Last year, lower back pain was critical. Dr order back injections. Anthem denies, saying a MRI is required. Dr orders MRI, Anthem denies MRI as not medically necessary. You cannot make this up. There is some middle external entity that filters request for Anthem. Something is not right. How many MRIs request are denied vs approved? FOIA. Worth investigating to see if something legally there....

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

This company MISREPRESENTED what they cover. I SPECIFICALLY asked abut the included dental. They flat out LIED in saying it covered up to $2500.00 a year. I called back and asked if there was a way to get out of this plan. Again, they LIED when they said no. Today I can change plans. I do NOT recommend this insurance. There are copays on almost everything!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I got a letter from Empire stating that they will no longer cover for my medication. I pay them $360 a month. Is time to have Medicare for all and close them down for good. From now on I will get Medicare part D for $ 35.00 a month. They donate millions of $ to the Democrat so they can't pass Medicare for all. They don't give damn about the patients.

Anthem author review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information