Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans
3.43/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

498 Anthem Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 16, 2019

We like our plan. We don't like our hospital choices. Little disappointed with some of the charges for generic drugs. Our doctors are great. We're very happy with no premium. Takes a while to get statements from other medical places, even though they have a copay. Always afraid that they will not pay for something that we thought was included...

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received a bill from a Doctor's accounting firm in another state regarding my wife's hospital stay approx. 3 months early. I contacted Anthem via telephone for an explanation. Anthems representative put me on hold while she contacted the billing party, then allowed me to join a 3 way meeting. This issue was resolved to all parties' satisfaction. I was very happy the way this was handled by Anthem.

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's expensive for a senior but no worse than other plans. I recently had a cataract op on both eyes. Total cost $31000 which Medicare & Anthem covered most of it but my friend in England had the same op (privately - not on the National Health) for about $3000 - i.e. 90% cheaper. How come it costs ten times more here.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Good policy for the price I pay. Easy to read statement of benefits. Easy access to a representative if I have a question about my policy. For people who require vitamin D in cold climates where you get very little sun they should allow and pay for more than 800 units per day as our doctors recommend more than that amount each day.

Original review: March 16, 2019

We had Anthem Medicare Coverage for several years. They were very accommodating in many ways. What turned us off was their constant phone calls of different types of physicals and exams we should be involved in. It got to a point, where we were hearing from them daily and would just ignore the calls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: July 11, 2019

So frustrated with your Anthem’s appeal process. Someone could die waiting for a appeal to be reviewed. I get no answer or updates from Anthem at all other than it can take up to 60 days to review. I need answers now! I have been suffering since December and no one at Anthem seems to care.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Being offered free otc things sounds great until you try to purchase anything. It's a real issue. Either they just dont have the plan set up well or some people are just idiots. It took me 3 months to be able to order or buy anything and they got the order very wrong. You may have to call several times to get someone to even place an order for you. It would be much easier if they just allowed you to order online. Buying from Walmart is a pain in the butt. They aren't real familiar with the program either. The otc products available seem to be things for healthy people not things that may help you get better.

Original review: June 25, 2019

If I could give this company negative stars, I would. I have been an ongoing battle with them, which has led to me not being covered for the last four months. The short story is...I have proof of submitted payment and email confirmation from the company. Unexpectedly, two months later I receive a letter in the mail of coverage termination. I never received any prior notice via email or mail. Btw, never received insurance cards when asked, and never received any information via email or mailing prior to notifying me of cancelled coverage. After countless phone calls that only resulted in false promises, lack of communication, and continuously starting over at each call, I finally spoke to a kind, helpful woman.

She did some research and come to the conclusion ANTHEM was at FAULT for a glitch in their system. I was to be reinstated for the past four months coverage. She said, "In about three weeks you will be notified that your reinstatement would occur and your coverage would be active." Two weeks later, I received another letter in the mail that my insurance will not be reinstated with no explanation. I have left voicemails and emails, and still have not heard back. This company has the by far the worst customer service and I will never use their services and I hope other readers won't as well. Choose ANY company but this one. Anthem is a disaster and sadly the customers are the ones who suffer.

Original review: June 14, 2019

My son was born 2-months ago and we still have not received an ID card for him that shows proof of coverage. I have spent several hours on the phone with different people today in Member Services who have said they generated an ID card and are mailing it to us. My husband's employer has provided Anthem with the correct mailing address for our family and yet Anthem keeps insisting that the apartment number part of our address is not in their file. This caused a 2 MONTH DELAY in the rest of our family receiving our ID cards. I explained this to everyone at Anthem today and demanded we be provided a digital copy of my son's ID card because I had no faith we would receive the hard copy. No one could help.

Everyone said "There is no digital copy available" despite the fact that there was a digital copy available for every other member of my family when we had the same problem months ago. All they would and said they could send was a manually created temporary id that will expire in 30-days. What good does that do me? They could not tell me how I could get a digital copy. They couldn't tell me who could create one or when one would be available. How could you work for this company and understand so little about how your system works? How many hoops are PAYING MEMBERS supposed to jump through to get adequate proof of coverage for the same policy they are PAYING HUNDREDS EVERY MONTH FOR? What a joke!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Just a few issues regarding Anthem’s denial of coverage and inability to effectively communicate. Was prescribed an anti-inflammatory since I am unable to take pain medication. It was denied since it didn't coincide with their listing for the diagnostic code for a painful rotator cuff surgery. It was over a week to approve. Then held up because they needed the doctor to back date his letter to date prescription was written vs date of his report.

I advised Anthem to utilize Common Sense and use the date they denied the RX rather than request another document. The doctors are spending too much time documenting their decisions made for each patient rather than spending time with their patients. I suppose I should have opted for the opioid my system won't tolerate since their computer program has it built in. Once you get through the button pushing and being placed on hold to be able to speak with a live person, they can't resolve the problem due to their guidelines given customer service so you're back on hold to be transferred.

Upon my Retirement it took several months to switch my coverage from Anthem Traditional to Anthem Retiree coverage with my employer since they didn't send Medicare the proper paperwork. This led to claims not being paid. I invested many hours and huge frustration trying to explain what Medicare said they needed. Furthermore it was ridiculous me having to plead with Anthem to have them call Medicare directly. As an educated professional person I have been close to tears trying to deal with Anthem.

Yesterday I was back in Physical Therapy since I re-injured my rotator cuff. We couldn't schedule the dates for therapy as in the past since Anthem requires preapproval effective June 1st. The reception would have to call me. She was on the phone with Anthem attempting to obtain approval on another patient. It's automated again based on diagnostic code, which I understand and appreciate, however Anthem has failed to implement a system to deal with patients that don't meet the guidelines. I listened to a therapist speaking to a customer service clerk without a medical background. He was frustrated and wasting time.

Anthem implements procedures to save money on their behalf while failing to research its impact on the medical profession and the patients which they have lost sight of. Medical insurance is very costly, we should be able to have our issues resolved efficiently. Anthem’s continuous questioning of doctors' decisions based on normal guidelines is out of control. Each patient is unique, we're not robots but we're being pigeon holed to fit a software program costing everyone time and suffering. Anthem’s inability to effectively communicate is horrendous.

Anthem expert review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

• Best for: Students, senior citizens

Profile picture of Joseph Burns
Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information