Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.24/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Anthem Reviews

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

After having breast cancer surgery and radiation, I had a mountain of bills for my portion of the co-pay and I had several versions of some of them. I wanted to make sure that I was not being over billed and over paying my co-pays with my yearly out of pocket expenses. I called customer service and spoke to Sharina, she went through all 15 bills with me and we found 2 that had not made a claim but they had billed me directly. Since I met my yearly out of pocket costs I wasn't responsible. The doctors' offices would have to make a claim if they wanted to be paid. I am so thankful for Sharina for taking the time to help me through this mountain of bills and get a better understanding so I can let these doctors know I don't owe them any money.

Original review: April 16, 2019

We like our plan. We don't like our hospital choices. Little disappointed with some of the charges for generic drugs. Our doctors are great. We're very happy with no premium. Takes a while to get statements from other medical places, even though they have a copay. Always afraid that they will not pay for something that we thought was included...

Get expert buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I received a bill from a Doctor's accounting firm in another state regarding my wife's hospital stay approx. 3 months early. I contacted Anthem via telephone for an explanation. Anthems representative put me on hold while she contacted the billing party, then allowed me to join a 3 way meeting. This issue was resolved to all parties' satisfaction. I was very happy the way this was handled by Anthem.

Original review: April 8, 2019

It's expensive for a senior but no worse than other plans. I recently had a cataract op on both eyes. Total cost $31000 which Medicare & Anthem covered most of it but my friend in England had the same op (privately - not on the National Health) for about $3000 - i.e. 90% cheaper. How come it costs ten times more here.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Good policy for the price I pay. Easy to read statement of benefits. Easy access to a representative if I have a question about my policy. For people who require vitamin D in cold climates where you get very little sun they should allow and pay for more than 800 units per day as our doctors recommend more than that amount each day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I have had this insurance now for about 2 yrs. I had a PCP when I first enrolled with Anthem then all of a sudden I was told I would have to pay out of pocket for my visit because he doesn't accept the insurance. So I had fell ill due to not being able to get my meds. Had to stay in the hospital a few days then get a bill for the hospital stay like I stayed at a 5 star resort. Now I have specialist that I have to see and cant even see them due to them not accepting the insurance. So I have lost money in more than one way, lost my job, and still suffering from the same illness. This insurance company are crooks behind a shield and a phone line.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I filed a claim for reimbursement on 01/09/2020. No response which is unusual. I filed a 2nd request 01/15/2020. No response again. Usual reimbursement is within 3-4 business days. Not this time. I called on 01/22/2020 and again on 01/23/2020 and got transferred from one department to the next with several CSR's telling me "We cannot locate your file." I was on a recorded line so I told the last person I spoke with I would be disenrolling. Today, 01/24/2020 I have faxed notice of termination of ACH access to my checking account, filed a STOP with my banker and filed a complaint with the Dept. of Insurance. Note: I followed up with the fax and certified return receipt mail because the law does [not] recognize verbal notification--even when the company records the caller.

Upon finalization, I will shop for a competitor. The real irritant? Every CSR said they had "no ETA" on reimbursement. One finally created a story concerning "computer problems" between the HR department and the Retiree Disbursements department. Hogwash. If there was a delay Anthem should have broadcast emailed or otherwise notified retirees. They should also have provided phone personnel with a script that made sense. Being told "We don't know. We're tired of all the seniors calling ... and, we don't have a disbursement date ..." is unprofessional (on the company's part--the CSR's were more than gracious) and unacceptable. I will not purchase another Anthem product. Ever.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

My online HSA account did not show any status of the money I transfer to investment for a whole week. When I called them, the representative tried to push me away by providing a bank number which is ridiculous. I have an account with Anthem and transferred my money to the investment on the Anthem website. Now they told me to call the bank to find out what happened???? I was talking with her for a long time but nothing she could do for me. Well, need to call them again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Have the same plan since 2009. My son has been on acne medicine for 2 years, $45 co-pay per monthly prescription. Starting January 2020 Anthem split with Express Scripts and now claims the medication will only be covered after the $8800 deductible has been satisfied. At $550 per prescription that might be $5000 to $6000 more per year on top of the $890 monthly cost. I've kept this grandfathered plan to not have B.S. like this happen.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I chose Anthem thinking it had a decent # of doctors to choose from that are listed on their website. After calling these doctors they all tell me they don’t take this insurance. And I mean, it was several doctors that I had called, which were ObGYNs and Pediatricians. I was unsuccessful after many attempts. Finally, was told by one of the pediatricians to call another location, which so far we were able to go, but now I’m just crossing my fingers that the service is covered by the insurance.

And since I was unsuccessful on my own to get an ObGYN I then called Anthem for help, hoping they would have another list to give me. I was wrong. The rep said she had a different list but it was worse! After spending 45-1hr with her, still no luck. She ended up suggesting I go to the one PCP I found myself to ask for a referral instead, who can hopefully find someone for me. Seriously? What’s the point of Customer Service or a website that offer no help? FYI, this is for the Clovis/Fresno, CA area. So far I’m disappointed, and I have a whole year ahead of me to stay under this plan before the next Open Enrollment.

Anthem expert review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

• Best for: Students, senior citizens

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information