Anthem

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am an attorney. I come from a professional athlete family. Many of my immediate family members are physicians. Being healthy is the number one goal in my family. I am the same weight as high school - 105 pounds. I am 59 years old. I do not smoke and never took drugs. I will have a Kahlua and cream if someone begs me at a host dinner. My family has been located in the United States since Jamestown. When I moved to Virginia I reached out to Anthem during open season. I had no idea nor did the rep state to me that I was speaking with a broker. I enrolled in an individual plan and promptly paid the monthly charges.

Subsequent to my enrollment I began to receive through the mail, requests for personal information. The documents did not contain any insignia that they were related to my Anthem insurance. I made several calls and wrote Anthem asking for clarity. I was told to "throw the documents away, they have nothing to do with us." In March, while traveling in Colorado, I reached out the Anthem for the billing address to mail my April payment. I was told that I was being dropped on April 1, 2017 for lack of verification of my citizenship. (Ridiculous - I am a very rooted American.) After discussion, the Anthem rep informed me that the documentation that I was told to "throw away" was, in actuality, information required from the Marketplace, a broker. I informed Anthem that I did not utilize a broker. Anthem responded that during open season they utilize brokers because they are "bombarded with thousands of phone calls during the open season."

I asked why there was no disclosure to me during my call and the Anthem rep said: "Would you prefer to be on hold for hours or speak to a broker?" How rude!!!! So... I wrote Anthem a letter demanding coverage. By the time I received a response I was nervous about exposing myself without insurance so I reached out to another insurance carrier - a type of temporary insurance which ends in October. Not sure what happens in October - I think I will have no insurance until open season??? Awful.

Additionally, while in Colorado prior to being dropped on April 1st, I got sick and was seen by a physician. I filed a claim on or around April 6th, 2016. It is August 10, 2017 and I have not heard a thing about the outcome except one representative who thought it would not go through (phone conversation). Repeatedly, Anthem made up nonsense concerning the claim in order to not address it - e.g. the date of service was too illegible. FALSE STATEMENT! Run from Anthem. There has got to be a better way. If I am an attorney having trouble with Anthem I pity the person who is not as educated.

They have no way to contact them directly, if say you do not have a card. Their website lists ONLY technical support. No way at all to contact them directly. When you call tech, and they manage to transfer you to a human. They will not know what to do, throw you into a phone directory or a switchboard operator who will then hang up on you. Do not know what to say other than if it is not too late, find another company.

Ok to start I have never had to speak to Anthem's Appeals Dept., when a letter was sent with the wrong name and erroneous info in it I started to as they say reach out, to no less than 15 people, over 30 days later still no corrected letter and no info to carry on an appeal with PERS, which sent me a letter that I have 15 calendar days to send any info to affect my appeal, well I do not even have the Anthem info to address and get back up for. It feels like what a black hole I imagine in space would feel like. All I get from the customer service dept. is the company line, I finally said did you hear me you are not responding like you have heard me. To think this insurance is something I have paid for and this is the service.

Anthem BCBS is a Very TERRIBLE health insurance provider! Lousy benefits resulting in high(er) intrinsic costs and BS coverage, regardless of which state you live in. Chose ONLY because it was the Better choice amongst very Limited choices (NH is Terrible with health insurance coverage). For a nationwide health insurance provider, it provides one of the least benefits to subscribers and makes you jump through hoops to get even the most basic benefits allowed on your plan.

Good example. CPAP supplies are subject to annual deductible but you "NEED" doctor's authorization. WHY?! People pay for it themselves. CPAP users already HAD medical authorization to get sleep study which resulted in purchase of CPAP. Why the heck do you need MORE authorization to buy needed supplies (sanitation health issues) if you pay for it privately? The subscriber needs to submit a Claims Report to have the amount Credited towards the annual deductible amount but BCBS REFUSES to do that UNLESS you get doctor's approval! WTHeck?!

Other insurance companies actually COVER (even partially limited) CPAP supplies (i.e. buy hoses/masks every 6 months) or get amounts paid personally credited towards annual deductible since you're ALREADY approved hence reason above that you already received a medical authority to buy a Cpap machine! The BCBS workers have to put up with grievances from subscribers for the BS guideline benefits that BCBS offers or does NOT offer. BCBS has a STRICT policy of getting Doctor referrals BEFORE ANY treatment so you better get it or else you pay the referral related expenses directly!

The company was bad BEFORE ObamaCare and has become WORSE AFTER ACA! Monthly premiums have gone up, annual deductibles/out of pocket costs have INCREASED SIGNIFICANTLY while benefits have dropped!! Some medical expenses that WERE ONCE covered may NOT be covered anymore esp. by BCBS! AVOID at all costs if possible! Stay healthy at all costs! Had better health insurance coverage at same price in MA with another insurance provider. NH has one of the most limited and lousiest health insurance providers!

My bill is never EVER right. We literally have to call Anthem every other month. Literally!!! The SOP at Anthem is to have the customer service rep take down every bit of information she can and "send" it to the billing department. I ask, "Can I please speak directly with the billing department" and her scripted response is that she does not have a number for the billing department. I ask for an email and she comes back with, "I do not have any information on how to reach the billing department." The only thing that I am ever told is that billing will look into it and send out a new bill. So they are glad to take my money but won't let me talk to the people that keep screwing it up. You cannot name a single other business that would pull that kind of crap. When I ask to speak to a supervisor I get the same run around until I am told, "there is no one above me that can take calls from customers." I cannot believe this is even legal!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

The company in which I am employed required me to have this insurance plan. I thought I would never need it, and enjoyed paying them for this. Haha. As it turned out I needed to file a claim because of a fractured arm. I spoke with them on the phone, and submitted the proper paperwork. They were, suspiciously, indicating to me that they didn't like dealing with my insurance company because they indicated they were slow in responding. They suggested that I reach out to my doctor's office in an attempt to speed up the process so I did. I was able to get a fax line, contact #, and the insurance liaison's name all which were directly related to my doctor's office. I gave all this information to them on the phone for which they assured me that this would be added to my file. They did in this conversation indicate to me again that they still thought my insurance would drag their feet, and indicated that I should check on them regularly.

After two weeks of checking with my insurance they indicated that they had not received anything from Anthem Life. I called Anthem. At this time they said that they had not received any information from insurance company, and that because of that they were mailing me a letter indicating that they were closing my claim. They told me that I could file an appeal if I wish. I intend on it. My insurance has no reason to not reply to any insurance paperwork. It's not a fly-by clinic. I do believe, however, that they never had any intention of paying or sending the paperwork even after I sent them the proper point of contact information. I can imagine that the they are laughing at the idea of me appealing their judgement on my claim. Beware. Sneaky crooks whom I still have to pay for in my paycheck.

I called to get a letter verifying coverage for my auto insurance required in Michigan. I called and then said they would email it to me which they didn't, so I had to call back the next day and then the department I needed wasn't available because they were doing training. I called back the next day to find out that department didn't handle what I wanted. I called back and talked to someone who transferred me and told me to talk to someone else which in turn attempted to have me call my employer who doesn't handle this issue.

I was told by another department to ask for a supervision and the lady on the phone refused to give me one and hung up on me. I called back and talked to multiple different departments who gave me the same answer. I asked if they had someone who worked in the state of Michigan and they denied that and told me to call another number in which was of no help. I seriously called them probably 10 times, my auto insurance company 3 times to finally get someone that was willing to investigate how to get my problem solved. They seriously need some more training. It was a horrible experience.

I have my entire family covered under Anthem BCBS HDHP. I would just like to say this insurance is GARBAGE. I pay over $2,600 a year in premiums, just to have a HDHP of $4,500. I have to meet before they start paying anything. Even after the $4,500 is met, they only cover 80% for certain stuff. That's $7,100 I'd have to pay, out of pocket in a year, before Anthem starts to pay 80%. That is absurd considering that's 25% of my yearly take home income. But my current situation, my wife had our second born child recently. I called a customer service rep to see why, after the entire labor delivery, my deductible only had $600 applied to it.

After 30 minutes with a customer service rep, I come to find out that the newborn services for our newborn is not applied to my deductible (even though I'm paying $4,000 out of pocket for it). I asked the rep why this wasn't applied to my deductible and all she could tell me is that my benefit does not entail newborn care. This made me furious and I ended up hanging up on the customer service rep. I could go on and on about Anthem. But I'll keep this review somewhat short. DO NOT PURCHASE ANTHEM BCBS FOR YOUR HEALTH/MEDICAL INSURANCE!!

In December 2016, I called and asked about upgrading our dental plan to include orthodontics. I was given plan information, pricing and details on doing so. I told the customer service person at Anthem that I would check with our orthodontist and call back to get the plan. When I called back in 2 weeks to get the plan I was told that I could not upgrade to the plan that had orthodontics because we had missed open enrollment. After speaking with a manager, they approved retroactively upgrading us to the Family Plan C if we paid the November and December premiums. We paid the November, December and January premiums for the Family Plan C.

I gave my orthodontist the new plan information and was informed that our plan did not cover orthodontics at all. I enrolled in the Dental Family Enhanced Plan in January (which hopefully included orthodontics this time). I made appointments at the orthodontist for my children and received a letter on June 15, 2017 that even though our plan includes orthodontics, neither child will be covered for the cost of braces. I finally cancelled the plan on June 18 after spending $545 in premiums.

I've been a business owner for 20+ years and understand the importance of customer service. I honestly don't believe I've dealt with worse service. First, they deny a prescription that should have been quickly approved. They require my doctor to submit additional paperwork which was done immediately. After hearing nothing for several days, I called. That's where the fun began. First, HORRIBLE automated system that seems designed to annoy you into hanging up. If you can last, you get a person that literally knows nothing. I wasted almost 3 hours trying to get a simple answer. I was transferred 10 times (literally) and ended up back where I started.

Finally, someone told me they would get my prescription reviewed and it should be approved the next day. They were supposed to call. Instead, I waited until the afternoon, and I called back. After only 3 transfers and 1 hang up, I was told - "We made the decision at 10 this morning. It can't be approved until we get more paperwork from your doctor!" If people had options, they would have exactly zero customer/members. Terrible experience.

My company has an ongoing issue with Anthem retracting claims payments. After five months of weekly calls to Anthem along with email and phone complaints to higher ups, I was connected with a person who listened and help with our problematic claims. During that time, I was asked to provide the same information multiple times, and then representatives would advise they needed to review the information with supervisors. This turned into a five month fiasco because the reps weren't collecting information or calling back. The woman that finally assisted explained that this was a dropped ball by customer service, and the company was going to use this scenario as a training tool to improve claims service.

About a month and a half later, I have another similar problem. I've attempted to get help for the past three weeks. My contact doesn't call back as promised until I've called her (after patiently waiting five business days on two separate occasions) or I've called to ask for a supervisor. I've had to begin taking my issues to the same higher ups again.

It is extremely difficult to get help from this company. I deal with UHC and Medicare on a regular basis, and I've yet to experience the level of rudeness and apathy with them as I've experienced with Anthem. My contact returned a call to me today after I requested to speak with a supervisor. She said to me, "Here you are asking for a supervisor when I thought we had a working relationship." My response was, "I thought we did too, but you aren't returning my calls or providing me any information after three weeks." She didn't have a response to that. I worked in a customer service call center for over ten years, and I know it's a tough job, but this level of non-service is unacceptable and clearly a pattern with Anthem.

I had been with Anthem for many years. Each year, I am sent the renewal notice, with less coverage, higher deductibles and increased cost. I opted to stay with the same coverage for 2017-18 and was sent my welcome letter. My account is set for auto pay for the monthly premiums. In March 2017, when filling a prescription, I was told my coverage was canceled. This is the 2nd time they have done this, the 1st being Sept 2016, and they reinstated my coverage after 6 weeks and apologized. I was told to send in any receipts, where they would reimburse me. It took me a long time to fill out the difficult forms necessary. I received 6 pages of paperback, no check, stating they applied these amounts to my 2016 deductible. The were to reimburse the portion I paid where I was covered.

This time I was canceled, they told me someone would be contacting me back in 4-5 days. I received no call, no mail, no email! It takes over an hour each time I phone in to reach someone. After 20 days, when finally able to reach them, they said this case was resolved 10 days ago. No contact had been made, despite me leaving them my work and cell numbers. Meanwhile, I still had no coverage, and no contact by mail, phone, or email from anyone at Anthem. After over 2 months of trying to get an answer as to why I was canceled, I have just learned yesterday, by means of the online Message Center, where you are not able to respond to any of their messages.

They attached a bogus letter from December 2016, stating because I have moved out of the service area (PS. I have not moved or tried to) they were canceling me, and I had 60 days to obtain new coverage. Since I am just seeing this letter for the 1st time, it is out of the 60 day period, where I am unable to get insurance through the open market. I am furious. I expected the to reinstated, as they had done so before. When attempting to get short term coverage today, they were able to put me on a 3way with Anthem. They told the agent, I was sent letters of the cancellation 4 times. I never received 1, and have maintained the same address, the same email throughout my coverage.

I am so angry. They deserve to be sued. They are illegally manufacturing false documents, at the expense of people's lives. Over $16,000 a year, and this is what you get! I will do my due diligence to let every consumer know, they are a horrible company, with terrible customer service and deceptive practices. They should be sued, and hopefully someone has the time and means to do this.

I signed up for Anthem in Oct. 2016 for 87.26 a month (a bare minimum of coverage, but all I could afford). They billed me at that rate for the first month, then raised the premium to $250 a month with no warning, no explanation and no additional coverage offered. That was January. This is May. I can't even get them to cancel my policy without a huge hassle. Run, don't walk away from Anthem. And check out their Yelp reviews. One star. Worst possible rating for customer service.

I'm a dialysis patient. I go to dialysis 3 times a week. I have to be there on time and I have them set my ride. Since they switch ride companies I been going late or not even going to dialysis because they come 1-3 hours late and my spot would be over. I have to be there on time because I'm morning shift. If I'm late it makes others late so they can't make others late. I guess I'm slowly dying because of my plan's ride assistance not taking me to dialysis at all. I'm only 30 and I was working to get a new kidney transplant but I can't because My health is poor due to Blue Cross Anthem Logistic care rides. I just look for a lawsuit because this been going for a month with many calls to them telling them to switch my ride company. They just call around with no change at all.

I had a Rx for ** under UHC, Anthem BCBS just told me they will never, ever cover it nor any equivalent. I'm going back. Oh, and BTW -- their "dental insurance" only cover $24 for a routine cleaning. $24? Yeah, good luck with that. This insurance is bull crap!

Due to Emerson selling a portion of its business to Vertiv, my husband was forced to accept Anthem BCBS. We pay $170 every 2 weeks, as of 4/6/17 they still cover NOTHING. They only credit your deductible with "in-network" allowed amount, but leave US on the hook for the entire billed amount. How is that even LEGAL. We weren't even AWARE that our 100% out of pocket prescription costs, are a SEPARATE deductible all together and doesn't count toward the medical insurance EVEN THOUGH THAT'S HOW IT WAS PRESENTED ON PAPER. Thanks to the CURRENT ACA LAWS, we are unable to purchase secondary health insurance so our medical bills are crippling us.

The WORST thing you can be is middle class because we get NO HELP, so essentially we are spending $400 for health insurance that applies a PORTION of our actual out of pocket expense to their deductible rate. How does that seem right??? If given a choice between Anthem BCBS and NO COVERAGE, I will choose NO COVERAGE, because I'm paying $400 a month for NOTHING.

My family has bought BCBS/Anthem for 15 of last 20 years. We have always used auto pay. In December we received a notice for auto renewal of our policy, and then in January we received our insurance cards. BCBS did not bill me Jan and February, and in March canceled me for non-payment. I received no notice of possible cancellation. I am outside the open enrollment period, and so I cannot purchase a policy with them until January of 2018, leaving my family without health insurance for a year. Every time I call to get assistance, I am on hold for hours, get transferred over and over, and am told they will need to be in touch, but never get back to me. Finally, I managed to appeal their cancellation and was told their decision stood.

I have had reason to contact Anthem Wisconsin's customer service department for various reasons. Each time I have had to wait in excess of 30 minutes to have my call answered. The hold times are crazy, so crazy, in fact, that my physician's office refuses to call them. My monthly premium is over $1,000 per month. The very least they can do is pick up the phone in a reasonable amount of time.

2 years ago when I signed up for an Anthem Blue Cross plan, I received my insurance card and signed up for auto-payment on their website. I received a confirmation email I was enrolled in auto-pay. A few months later, I received a letter in the mail that my coverage was terminated for non-payment. No email, no call, no notice until this. I called to say there must be a mistake because I was enrolled in auto-pay. They had no record of me enrolling. And they wouldn't let me re-enroll because we were not in the "open enrollment period".

So I was stuck without any insurance for 6 months, and was billed over $2500 in tax penalties by the US government because of their mistake! Because I wanted to keep my doctors, I tentatively re-enrolled during the next open enrollment period, in a slightly different insurance policy with Anthem. It was $760 per month with a $7500 deductible (ridiculously the cheapest I could find). Within 2 months, I received a notice saying they are discontinuing my policy and giving me a new one that was "comparable".

When I read the fine print, it was NOT comparable, as it only covered 50% of anything. So if I was to get cancer, they would only cover 50% of costs... which could possibly bankrupt me. I called to complain, and demanded to change plans. If they are discontinuing my plan, I should have the right to change it if I am not happy with it. Again, they wouldn't allow me to do this because we were outside the open enrollment period.

In a few months, the same auto-billing issue started up. Luckily I caught it in time before they cancelled my insurance. I had to manually log in every month to pay my dues. This year I again changed plans. I was double billed for the first 2 months this year for both my new plan and my old plan. I am still not reimbursed. I received a letter last week saying I have not paid my insurance, even though I am enrolled in the auto-pay program.

Every time I call them I have to wait 45 minutes to talk to someone that has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. They said I could enroll in auto-pay over the phone, that their website sometimes has "technical difficulties". They told me someone from billing would call me within 48 hours. That was 6 days ago... still no call. Every single person I know has had similar issues with this insurer, If you are interested in joining me in a class action lawsuit against this "company", please let me know.

I have no confidence or trust in Anthem at all. So much so I am not using my Anthem insurance for any services. I have no trust or confidence in Anthem because; 1) I did not get my coverage cards until mid-February 2017. I signed up for the coverage in December 2016 and paid my premiums twice before I got my coverage cards. I had to request that coverage cards be sent to me. 2) Web site did not work for weeks. In January I was trying to find a doctor. The Search for a Doctor feature either did not work or gave me different results when I enter the same information. When I called Anthem I was on hold for over 2 hours and was told not to log in to the website to do the search. Why have this feature if using Google will work better?!? 3) Saw error messages for all my information on the web site. When I tried to enter the information, I got error messages.

4) I pay my monthly premium electronically and every month I receive a letter stating how my payment is late, but not to worry since Anthem will cover me if I make a payment in the next week. When I call, I am on hold for at least an hour and am told that I am all paid up. When I pressed Anthem as to why I get these letters I get the reply, "these systems have a mind of their own". 5) Since Anthem cannot process electronic payments, they sent a letter to the State of California stating how I never paid my premium(s) and my coverage was going to be dropped. I called the State and explained the situation. The State informed me that people on Medicare had been calling with the same situation and were surprised when I stated I was ACA. If I provided my customers the level of service Anthem does, I would be FIRED. As a software professional, I am insulted by their online "services".

Bill paying section is not sending my bill payment to One Exchange Monthly. They are now a month behind in payment notice, telephone line is always busy. I talked to Anthem last week and they said they would try to have notice by 7th of this month. So far, nothing.

Sick from exposure 4 1/2 years ago and in pain everyday since and cannot even go to the er because I'm a marked target not to help me even though I pay extreme amounts for deductibles and pay cash to doctors they won't put in my network, even though they say they did. I've read all of your reviews and I've experienced all similar situations with them, fed up, I'm suing. My jury trial after waiting two years is April 17, 2017 in downtown St Louis. Let's all rally together and be heard!! All of you are invited to testify and tell your experience with this piece of ** company, or you can email me at **.

I'm extremely ill and representing myself because of the bullshit bureaucracy and political aspects, this our chance to be heard!! I won't stop until I die or until justice is served. This is the worst health insurance, mind playing, game playing, phone playing, lying, could care less about human life company that I've ever seen, hope to hear from you all.

For the past three weeks I have attempted to a person to review my account charges because I believe that they are not crediting me correctly. While waiting for hours there is an electronic voice that states "Thank you for calling, good bye" or "we are having technical difficulties, call again". Three weeks like this. Right now I have been waiting for two-and-one-half hours and it is close to five o'clock, so I expect the "thank you for calling". Giving these people one star is too much. The icon of a turd is more appropriate. I do not have an order number but a policy number which I am including. These people do not assign case numbers as I have not spoken to anybody

When I lived in NY, I was covered under the Empire Plan with Anthem. Then I moved to Colorado mid 2016. I then called Anthem in 2017 so that my tax form could be mailed to my new address in CO. At this moment, I have been transferred about 5 times and have spent over 2 hours on the phone between waiting and verifying information. The customer service is horrible, no one can answer any questions. This is INEXCUSABLE.

I'm fairly new to the Medicare medical insurance (one year on disability). I had two sleep studies done (one without machine, one with machine). I have sleep apnea. Both my parents had it and 5 siblings also. I was approved by Anthem where they will pay 80% of the cost of the machine and I'm responsible for the other 20% and monthly rental fees. I called to ask why this is not covered and I was told that if I want the machine I have to pay the 20% upfront and sign a lease. I ask the representative, "Why did I have to pay anything for a device that would keep me from passing away in my sleep?" Preventive copay on my plan is $0. Is not dying in my sleep without the machine not preventive (prevent me from dying)?

I ask the representative to please explain why I have this policy if my regular Medicare would pay the 80%. She became upset with me and actually hung up on me! I called Medicare and they said that they would look at the situation and probably cover the machine at 100%, since it's a life-threatening condition. Anthem did not want to hear that! They just told me (after I called and waited on hold another half hour) they will only pay the 80%! So, in other words they told me if I die in my sleep... it's too bad. When I first enrolled in their MediBlue plan I was told that this plan was to help cover the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay! They didn't say that it was replacing my Medicare with the same coverages! What a scam they have going on with us retired/disabled people.

This is a lousy health insurance coverage. First it started the first day or should I say the first month we signed up for this coverage. They did not have the correct number for verification of dental. My dental office end up charging me double because the insurance could not verify the right coverage that my son had, then later back in June 2016 they cancel my son's health insurance without notification and here we go all the way in February 2017 just found out that their system had cancelled his health insurance and we received a bill from the hospital stating that our insurance declined payment.

Then Anthem Blue Shield Blue Cross state it because my son payment at the bank was inefficient one-time their system automatically cancels your insurance without notice. Now they said their system they mailed us a letter. We never received a letter. Now he have to wait all the way until the end of this year to have health insurance. That mean the IRS is going to find him for no insurance.

I am highly pissed off at this company because now we're stuck with $1,000 hospital bill when my son was supposed to be covered. I'm noticing under these other reviews they've encountered a lot of people health insurance without any notice to the customer. That is not fair that we've been penalized for their systems. Be aware before you sign up with this company they don't know how to verify their benefits for providers to call if they have a hundred and one phone numbers and they do not give out the right phone numbers for verification. So now you're stuck with a bill they're making you responsible for. This is a lawsuit.

I chose Anthem BC-BS as my Medicare Supplement Provider, in late 2014: Premiums over time were: 2015: $130.70, 2016: $143.30, 2017: $178.25. I REPEATEDLY left Messages on the the Anthem Website ("Message Center") beginning in mid - December 2016, as I just simply grew weary of being left on hold for hours at a time - that is, once I finally wound my way through their looping "Phone Tree"! Essentially I wanted to know when the 2017 Premium would be and why I hadn't been billed, as usual, for the Dec 2016 and Jan 2017 Premiums. No answer to any of those Messages!

I eventually became aware that Anthem had "changed their Direct Payment Policy" without prior notice to me in writing. Unknowingly, I had come awfully close to having my Policy cancelled, as the aforementioned Direct Billing Change had resulted in my falling behind on my monthly Premiums (and which was one of the reasons I had messaged Anthem via their Website... to no avail)! I have since moved to AARP - UnitedHealthcare Medigap and haven't looked back. Goodbye Anthem and GOOD RIDDANCE!

It is a travesty that California allows Anthem BlueCross to get away with false communications while its residents have few options for health insurance! I was forced to choose a new provider (ours left CA) and chose Anthem based on being able to still visit one of my two local Palo Alto Medical Foundation locations. That said, we are amenable to selecting new primary care providers/practice locations. Upon trying to select a doctor, I was given only two choices accepting patients. Only one was a woman and she is too far away. This is unacceptable. I reside in the SF Bay Area where there should naturally be more options and I am paying an expensive monthly fee. I deserve reasonable choices.

Switched to Anthem Blue Cross effective December 1, 2016. Since then everything medication I need requires pre-authorization, even meds I have been taking for years. Everything is a hassle. I injured my foot and have been hobbling around for weeks. Finally went to the doctor. He wanted me in a walking boot until they can get x-ray and MRI scheduled. Cannot get a walking boot without diagnosis which won't happen until x-ray and MRI. Is not the fact that I am in pain and hobbling around enough? If I was bleeding out would I need pre-auth for a band-aid? I don't understand this. There is obviously something wrong with my foot and I can't get a boot until they have figured out what it is. In the meantime, if it is a stress fracture, I am probably making it worse. I will definitely be high-tailing it from Anthem next open enrollment. Never again.

I had this insurance for 2016. When I tried to make my first payment for 2017, they told me that I wasn't in their computer system. They refused to do anything about this. I was on the phone for seven hours one day and several hours the next. I would be put on hold for over two hours, only for the phone to be answered by an idiot who would just say, "I don't know what to do. Talk to this other person I am transferring you to!" A "specialist" was supposed to call me today but never did. The enrollment period ended without me getting anyone on the phone who knew what to do. So much for having insurance this year. Unfortunately, they are the only company on the Texas health insurance marketplace, so I can't use anyone else.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.
  • Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.
  • Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.
  • Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.
  • Best for Students, senior citizens