3.9/5 (670 ratings)
Find a Health Insurance partner

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

About Anthem

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Anthem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I have nothing but good things to say about Anthem, and the staff is truly there for their patients. There are some who may not be pleased with them, but I would like to ask you this question.? Have you really looked into where a hang-up up might have occurred, because I had similar issues that maybe you might have experienced, and I can say This much in all honesty truly try to research where a hang-up might be occurring, it could be The referral from your provider's medical group, it might be a lot of things that are simple miscommunication or honest error in the chain of things.

When I myself experienced issues I got involved with looking into things and of course by my own account did I do this. And anthem really went to bat and helped me greatly. You couldn't ask for a nicer more helpful team of people and group of very intelligent people I might add. Thank you anthem and all who are on your team, I owe a sincere debt of gratitude to you. Sincerely yours Rob..

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I haven’t had any issues with insurance company in the 20 years I’ve had it. And any questions I had were resolved immediately. So far it’s a trustworthy source insurance company. So if someone is looking for health care for insurance, They might want to check out Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Get buying tips about Health Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I have been with Anthem for many years and they have supplied superb coverage. I have often thought a procedure would not be covered and been pleasantly surprised. I have recommended them to friends and family and those who have enrolled have been happy as well. I have heard horror stories from other friends about nasty surprises in their coverage.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

For the 1st time in my life, I don't worry about cost of prescriptions, hospitalization and the integration of Anthem Supplemental with Medicare. The offering of 3 month mail-in order prescriptions is a tremendous cost saving aspect. We can pick the doctor we want without having to get a referral.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Today I spoke to an Anthem Representative, Tionda, and she went above and beyond to inform me on everything I had questions about. She went even further to be so kind to explain thoroughly what I was lacking knowledge on. Wow! She was amazing and I just hope others can have such a great customer service experience as I did.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I spent hours on the phone without getting anyone to address enrollment issues. I can understand why our dentist dropped this plan. It is horrible, and I cannot imagine what providers have to go through to get claims paid.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

I have called in many times to get help with my claims. I have been given the run-around many times. I have insurance every 2 weeks and I shouldn't be denied or delayed treatments. I have been waiting for weeks for someone to call me back. That never happened. When you can you got to explain yourself over and over. Should there not be notes for every call. I live with knee pain daily. It is excruciating and all I want is some relief.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I have intestinal surgery three weeks ago where over 1/3 of intestines were removed. My pain doctor increased medication temporarily for a limited time and this insurance company denied his prescription because of the increase.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

The list of providers on Anthem’s website is YEARS out of date. The list provided by Psychology Today was more accurate and had more options for providers that accept Anthem. The representative at Anthem said that they have to rely on providers to keep the list up to date, which is ridiculous. It is appalling that the insurance company cannot provide an accurate list of its own providers.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I went to Anthem's website to change my primary care physician as I had moved. I selected a doctor and found that not only had he relocated to another state, the phone number listed didn't even belong to a doctor's office. The second doctor I added as my PCP, no longer worked at the office listed on Anthem's website. I did a live chat on Anthem's website for help on this issue. Someone named Kyle emailed me a list that had the same names as before. What a waste of time....

Anthem author review by Joseph Burns

Anthem is one of the better-known national insurance companies. It operates under different names, depending on what state a patient is from, but covers patients throughout the United States.

• It’s easy to add other types of insurance: Anthem customers can easily add dental, vision and life insurance to their policies.

• Offers benefits to people who become incapacitated by illness: Unlike many health insurance providers, Anthem offers disability benefits.

• Fairly low-price plans: Consumers can get insurance for less than $100/month, although they also may have to pay high deductibles.

• Plan options: Heads of families have fewer health insurance options than other consumers.

by Joseph Burns Health Insurance Advisor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.

Anthem Company Information