American Republic Insurance Co.

Compare Health Insurance Companies

Research top Health Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was involved in a work related accident in 2006, and since then through no fault of theirs or mine I am now disabled. My problem is that I now need medication for the rest of my life as well as doctor visits to monitor my status. About twice a year I have to file a lawsuit against them to pay for doctor visits and medication. At times forcing me to have to pay out of pocket. They try everything to not pay and a couple of times I have spent over $700 because they won't honor a court ordered agreement. Last month they were going to close the case because I missed a doctor appointment which I didn't. The doctor's office screwed up and they were ready to drop me. Save your employees a lot of grief and don't let them handle your workman's insurance as they don't deserve to be treated like this.

Insurance failure to pay benefits then erased history - My grandmother paid her premiums for some time and never had need for the benefits until she became ill the 2nd time and was hospitalized for 2 weeks at one hospital, then transferred to a larger hospital where she passed away 2 weeks later. I handled her affairs personally and medicare paid not one cent and Blue Cross Blue Shield paid every penny (and her death benefits through her work insurance as well) and paid for the funeral. When I contacted American Republic for benefits for her time in the hospital so my uncle who lived with her would be able to pay the bills (since he was unable to work due to an injury), they said they would send a form and would contact me further. They didn't.

Shortly thereafter, she passed away and I called them again to notify them and to inquire of the status of the holdup and why. I got the same runaround again. One week later, I had her death certificate in my hand which they require along with all insurance companies and I learned they had completely deleted her from the system! When I asked for a manager, the manager was snide and rude, basically telling me I was a liar and that my grandmother was never their client and made all sorts of comments. In my grief over her loss and my anger over the rough treatment, at that time, I nearly decided to take a little trip to meet this crass individual face to face. Only my pregnancy kept me from actually clearing my bank account, signing over all my belongings and property to my husband and making a one way trip there.

Messing with someone when they are grief-stricken isn't a good idea. She was my world. My uncle is now dying of cancer and penniless. Those benefits would certainly help him more now than in those years ago since her worker's death benefits paid for her funeral at that time and some of it was left over to get her bills caught up. American Republic will never make this right. I have all the proof in one box to prove my words right up to her death and after. I wouldn't speak of this in print if I didn't have the proof and her cancelled checks to prove her premiums were paid faithfully. I would never ever recommend this company to anyone except an enemy if I had one, and I don't because I am good to everyone.

I also would suggest that any of the blowhards who make statements referring to the unhappy, adult clients as "the little boys and girls" that has been done earlier in this forum to stop it for it is a thoughtless and inconsiderate statement and shows your ignorance, not theirs. Belittling others is cowardly, foolhardy and a self-centered form of bullying, in my opinion. If you had a good run with this company, then good for you. But you won't know if your family will benefit from it after you are gone someday, will you? You shouldn't and can't invalidate those who have been totally screwed over and tossed on the garbage heap like my family and the other families who have. In fact, your loose words convince me that you probably work for the company. If you want to dictate your ideals, then argue with God, that is, if you believe in Him for it is written - Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord.

Beware of the latest notification from American Republic about them not being able to keep providing your PPO plans, and recommending Celtic Ins. The letter states that your policy will be canceled on 12/31/11. We signed up for a new insurance and were already billed for the month of January. When I checked my bank statement today, American Republic had taken another automated payment out of my account after notifying me that my type of insurance was canceled as of 1/1/2012. Luckily, I can prove we have new insurance but want to warn others to make sure to check that American Republic hasn't taken another premium payment when in fact, the insurance is supposedly "canceled." I pray that this is not a scam to enable them to collect an additional premium payment by some "fine print."

I love some of the nonsense on here. American Republic is about to go bankrupt? It was the most financially stable company during the recession. They're a C or D rating? Try a A-, the 4th highest in the country. People just hear things and feel the need to spew their same old nonsense. You need to educate your self, people.

It's really sad when people make mistakes and are saddled with large insurance bills, but much of what has been said on here is just a flat-out lie. Be honest about your history.

Oh, and nobody's insurance was "dropped." American Republic teamed up with Celtic in order to provide a lower rate on its Major Medical, something it's done. My premiums went down. Now for the big boys and girls who can read what's written, they'd have seen that they're not just being dropped, they're being offered the opportunity to be transferred with guaranteed renewal to Celtic while still using their American Republic. Simple as that.

If I could rate lower I would. Okay, here it goes. The original complaint involved an agent who blatantly lied to me about my coverage. When I called him on it, he suddenly changed his story (This had to do with prescription coverage). I filed a complaint with DORA. DORA basically required American Republic to issue me prescription coverage.

As of 12/2011, as you all know, AR is dumping all major medical policies. However, they are not doing so before raising all our rates. The form letter is using the exact same claim it used one year ago - including that of Colorado HB 1008. This seems very fraudulent to me; one last milking of us all before dumping us. I filed a follow up complaint with DORA today. I highly recommend that any of you reading this do likewise.

I am seeking new carrier. I have no choice now. The carrier AR is recommending has higher deductible and claims to know nothing about the additional coverage I paid for to cover my deductible! How could I possibly trust them, anyway?

Hey, any chance that those of you in Colorado who got *** by American Republic could form a group and get group rates? Just a thought.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Republic Insurance Co.?

I have had this insurance for just about a year and a half. Suddenly, yesterday I get a notice that they are discontinuing selling individual insurance in OH. But, on their web site, I could still get a quote for individual insurance in OH.

I'm a bit frantic trying to find another policy before year end and am wondering what is going on with this company. I received some paperwork with the notice to get insurance immediately with Celtic, and if I don't sign the paper switching insurance, I am subject to underwriting. I have no idea what that means. With American Republic, I have a $3,000 deductible, with a rider that takes that to $0. But with the new company, I will have a $5,000 deductible. This is a huge difference in deductible and monthly premium. It doesn't make sense.

My husband and I are self employed. We have a small little mom and pop shop. We work hard, long hours. I am 47 years old and have had independent health coverage through American Republic Insurance for years. I was diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago in December. At that time we were paying right at $525.00 a month for the both of us and our teenage son. Within a short period after I was diagnosed our rate went up, and then it went up again, then again. Just two months ago we were at $1200.00 per month. We finally found other health insurance for my husband and son. The rate for me was $528.00. Just yesterday I was notified that my rate has gone up again to $686.00.

When they sold this to us and to this very day they say I can't be singled out. They say that when mine goes up everyone in my group goes up. It’s funny that for years when I was "healthy" my rate stayed pretty steady, now that I had this illness they can charge me whatever they want. They can raise my rate every chance they get. I am close to having none at all. A couple of more increases and I'll be finished because I literally won't be able to afford it. I don't have anything else to give up in order paying for it. Their forcing me and many others out. We have no place else to go and they know it because of our preexisting conditions. They shouldn't be able to do this. My rate went up over 30% in a matter of a couple of months. I think this is wrong and not how they represented themselves. I will soon be one of the many with no health insurance. This is wrong!

I work for a small company in Charlotte, NC. At least once every week, an American Republic rep makes a solicitation call to us. Every call starts out the same when the representative asks to speak to my manager. I proceed by screening the call in asking who is speaking and what company they represent. After I determine this is a solicitor, I tell them what I tell all solicitors, we do not make any purchasing decisions at our small remote office and I direct them to our home office in Atlanta.

After I finish my polite answer, the American Republic rep responds with violent verbal attacks followed by a hang up. I don't understand how a company can train employees to react in this matter to innocent people who have the misfortune to answer these solicitation calls. I will never recommend or accept any business from a company such as American Republic Insurance. Beware!

My mother has had the Medicare Supplement Policy from American Republic for over 20 years. This company has been wonderful to deal with. I don't believe she has paid over $30 above her premium payments for anything in all those years. Payments have been made promptly and are clearly noted on statements. In fact, I am so impressed that I am going to take out a policy with them in November when I become eligible for Medicare.

John met with us several times before we decided to move forward with his American Republic health insurance plan. He assured us the plan would cover doctor's visits, prescriptions and medical emergencies. This insurance hasn't paid for one thing! It hasn't covered doctor's visits because they always say that it "was a pre-existing condition". I called their customer service and complained asking them why they didn't cover any medical bills. I also called John and complained to him that this was the worst coverage ever.

His response was that he had never had anyone complain before. The company's response on the other hand was they didn't care! I have been paying premiums for insurance that really doesn't exist. I paid premiums for a co-worker and the insurance didn't cover skin checks or her doctor's visits either. I ended up paying for doctor's visits and insurance premiums. I want my premiums back!

I was contacted by the agent for American Republic after putting out a request for insurance for my trucking co. employees (which are also my son). I needed a policy that would cover my employee and their family needs. The agent came to my home office and sat down with all of us and went over the policy. We specifically asked about pregnancy and what was covered. The agent said to be safe, we could buy what he called prenancy unit, 1unit=$2,000.00 extra over policy for pregnancy. We took the maximum offered (4 units).

We thought we were set. When we needed the pregnancy part, the problems began. They told us that they didn't pay anything until after the baby was born and they knew the outcome (healthy baby, miscarriage, etc). Then when confronted, we were told that they would only pay $2,000.00 on the whole pregnancy. 1 unit because the unit coverage are stepped up in 2 year increment, 1 unit every 2 years of coverage (first 2yrs=$2000.00, 4 yrs =$4,000.00, etc. up to 8 yrs=$8,000.00). We were told none of this by the agent or his regional boss. That's right, we talked to both before we bought policies. Due to this, we are looking at a huge bill. My premiums for the 7 people I had policies on was $949.00 a month. If I would have known all the facts, I would not have bought this policy over the last 18 month. I could have paid the bill now owed.

We switched to American Republic insurance in Dec. 2008. The agent told us numerous times that the policy would mirror what we had had with Blue Cross. We would pay a higher deductible ($5800) and then everything after that would be covered. My husband is a physician and he and I both (as well as his office manager) met with the agent at least 5 times before signing. Our cheeks were swabbed so we could get the best rate. HA, what a joke! And to the person on this site who suggested that people are dishonest and not disclosing all info when they apply for insurance...you are WRONG! This company and their agents are horrible.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in March and it has been a nightmare ever since. The insurance company refuses to pay for practically anything, saying "a rider was not purchased for this service." After telling the agent about my family history, he told us NO PROBLEM. Well, it has been a problem! While they will pay for my chemo drugs (not without a fight) they wont cover the pre meds for nausea or the drugs to treat a possible allergic reaction. They wont cover my weekly blood draws or even the scans I had to have in order to stage my cancer. The drug I needed to keep my white blood cell count up so I dont end up in the hospital is $1000.00 an injection. I have had about 20, NOT COVERED! Every day we receive EOB's stating "not covered."

They even fought over the anesthesia I received during my surgeries. I suppose I should have brought a bullet????? We are now working with an attorney in order to get them to pay these bills which total more than $50,000 so far and Im not even close to finished with my treatment. We have also contacted the Insurance Commisioner. Our attorney told us to find another insurer because she cant be sure we are covered for anything at this point! It has been horrible, plus we continue to pay our HIGH monthly premium for NOTHING! We did EVERYTHING right from the beginning and were obviously lied to. We are also going after the agent that sold us this policy because it is not worth the paper it is printed on. BEWARE!

My son's premiums are around $800 per quarter, just for him! We have had this insurance for years. They change their PPO every time they get a chance and never notify their policy holders of the changes. Consequently, numerous policy holders are paying out of network deductibles, because they have no idea the company has changed their PPOs. I find them extremely difficult to work with, and have taken as long as 12 months to pay claims! Their workers are rude and unknowledgeable. The last one I spoke with, Lee, couldn't even find providers for us when she looked! They do not cover the children's hospital, so I guess insured children should be treated as adults in American Republic's opinion. This is impossible! So we, as the consumer, get to pay the difference, if we have children who are hospitalized at the Children's Hospital! My son's rates have quadrupled in the past two years. There was nothing hidden on the application; we were honest about everything.

I am dropping them and recommend that every other consumer drop them too so they go out of business and stop ripping off the consumers! They are rated C or maybe even a D by now. We were told by our agent that they are on the verge of bankruptcy. People complain about a $30 increase? Try quadrupling your current premium and paying $800 per person! Insurance companies like American Republic are part of the healthcare problem. I would like to know why some people are only paying a quarter of the premiums for their family, which we are paying for our son.

I have a rental agreement with rac and have been renting @ this store since Nov.2005. I was offered this insurance when I paid off one thing and rented another. I turned it down. In Dec. 29th of 2008 my husband had a heart attach and we did not have the insurance and they deffered my payment for one week. When I went into the store the following week I spoke with Kimberly and asked her if this would have been covered by the insurance? she replied everything is covered. so the folling wk Jan.10, 2009 I started the insurance and my rental went up to 106.00 a wk.I have paid this amount until my husband was laid off on feb. 12, 2009 at which time I got out my book and gathered all the information that was needed and did what I was told .

I took it to the store and gave it to rusty ( who has done everything possible to help me with this problem). on wen. march 25th I rec'd a call from rusty on my answering machine to please call him. well when I got back in from work on thur. I called and rusty was off that day and I spoke with Kim and she said we have been turned down buy the insurance company for our claim which has now been (feb.14,2009 file date)42 days.

because of the insurance co not covering this as dicribed in the booklet it would be we will loose our bed, our laptop, and our tv. I think it is wrong that a company offers to cover something and then turns it down because you have not been a customer long enough which the waiting period was30 days which was over by 3 days. then they have the guts to send me a new policy with a new number as if I would keep paying for something that lies to you.

I listened to my agent. He deposited the check and told me the premium would be drafted monthly. My agent delivered my policy and explained it to me, page by page, so that I understood that what coverage I applied for is what I got. Maybe these complaints on here are due to incompetent agents rather than a bad company. One should always read and understand their policy or take it to a lawyer to tell them what they bought. Never RELY on what an agent says. Its whats in print that counts...so read your policy.

I have nothing good to say about American Republic Insurance. We applied in Aug 2004. In Sept 2005 we were notified that our rate went from $288.95 to $342.87. The form letter stated that Continued rising health care costs are a major contributing factor for this increase. Don't forget the $8.00 administration fee charged every month. In Mar. 2006 we got another letter. This time it was increased to $390.39 plus the $8.00 for the same reasonas mentioned. Again in September 2006 it was raised to $421.80. See a pattern? Mar. 2007; $480.59.

To shorten this long tale the last increase was Mar. 2009 and the rates are now $826.38 per month including the Administration fee. The same reason was given in each form letter. All the letters state that a 21% discount was given to reward health conscious customers. That is an increase of $529.43 per month since sept. 2005. During that time peroid I had to decrease my health coverage in an attempt to lower the payments. I carry $5,000 deductable. I find the company to be difficult to deal with and would never recommend them.

We never recieved any siginificant benifit for what we paid out. Now we cannot afford health care from this provider.

I have to after reading some of this to take it with a grain of salt. I have never had any problem with American Republic. Probably because when I filled out the application, I did not lie and I remembered my past medical history. Policies don't just double unless something came up on the investigative report (MIB). The people in Reno, Nevada showed up on time and always call me back within a reasonable time period. I truly feel that most of the BS I am reading here is because people don't take the time to read the policy, ask questions and most of all, remember what you were told and remember what you have read or read it again. Health insurance is confusing so if people would only pay attention, it would be understood. Here's one thing I noticed about this website. Is this just a rant forum designed to create referals for attorneys ? Of course it is. Think about the disclosures below.

I purchased insurance from American Republic from the District Sales Mgr. Kris W. He told me I would get good discounts from using the PPO network up to 70% off doctor services. But I got discounts up to 90% off services and its been hard to hit my deductible when you get really big discounts. Everytime I call him he is very friendly and knowledgeable but one time he was 5 minutes late for our appointment. He locked my rates in for 3 years and when the 3 years was up he called me and relocked my rates in for another 3 years but now its $30 more than what it was three years ago. I mean come on i'm not made of money!

Following up from my last complaint on 12/20/2008. After filing a complaint against American republic on 12/20/2008, a state (Indiana) representative by the Name of Heath Baily contact us 12/24/2008 and told us he would be working to resolve this issue with us and the Insurance company. But as of yet nothing has been resolved and it is very difficult to get him to return our calls.

We were under the impression that we were purchasing a policy with a high deductible that after reaching the deductible the insurance would pick up 100%.

When the sales rep T. R. signed us up he also told us that we would receive a lab card and to be sure all labs were through this card. So I started getting all blood work done at this particular lab with the lab card and all my lab claims have been denied. After trying to use this policy we are finding out that it supposedly does not cover any out patient testing. Now days all testing is done as an out patient. We are not insurance savy but were under the impression that we were getting coverage equivalent to what we had with Anthem Blue Cross, but since we have tried to use this policy, we are finding out that it pays for very little.

We feel that we were sold a VERY POOR Policy and the true value of this policy was not disclosed to us at the time of the sale. The insurance salesman highlighted and checked important areas on the policy for us at the time of sale, but failed to highlight the items that were not covered and that each time you walk in to the hospital even if for the same issue you would be charged an additional $500 co pay.

Each time a claim is denied, we do not even get the discounts that we should get for having insurance.

My family has been using American Republic Insurance for several years. They have been great! The medical offices that we use have always honored the Explanantion of Benefits which American Republic sends out fairly quickly in response to claims. Whenever I've called American Republic to ask a question I get helped quickly, efficiently and politely. I'm sorry others have had such a bad experience. I wish that they could experience the good side of this company.

We were sold a health insurance policy with a $2500 deductible and then they are suppose to pay 100%. We believe that the person who sold us the policy was not up front about some things. We paid a little more thinking the 100% coverage after the deductible was met would be a better policy. The doctors found thyroid cancer and we are having so many difficulties with the insurance. They deny almost all of the claims. We call our agent who says his supervisor will call us and help us with the claims. Supervisor has not called. We call American Republic Insurance and feel like we come to a dead end with the reps that answer the phone. We are very frustrated and feel stuck as once you hear the word cancer getting a different insurance is going to be near to impossible. We used to have Anthem Blue Cross and should have never made the switch to American Republic. Beware if you are considering them!

Dealing with this insurance company has caused more stress than dealing with the cancer! Medical bills keep piling up as they have denied almost all claims except for the actual surgery. Every time we go to hospital for treatment or test, they also charge us a $500 deductible for each visit inspite of it being for all of the same diagnosis. After we reached our $2500 deductible, we have over $3000 more in bills the insurance would not pay and we believe this may grow to 5000--6000 , that they will not pay.

First, I called my insurance agent to cancel my insurance policy. Mr. Bailey and other American Republic agents request that we take problems to them, because they will be able to expedite complaints. Mr. Bailey never called me back. Because I no longer wanted to pay for this insurance policy while waiting for Mr. Bailey to get back to me, I called the company to cancel. They continue to charge me my monthly premium.

I bought a policy a year ago from this company and two of their incompetent agents came to my house. When asked if there is coverage for maternity, they both said yes and when asked how long we had wait for my spouse to be pregnant, they said coverage would be automatic upon approval. Now it has been a year and 2 months and my spouse is pregnant. When we called customer service to see what doctors were available in the area, the customer service agent said we did not have maternity coverage. We spent $236 a month for the last year. Over $3000 and a pregnant spouse with no coverage. It is my fault for not looking at the policy in detail when we got it but all I can say is that this company and their representatives are TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE! DO NOT trust these people. Be aware of these scam artist, they are good at what they do. I would recommend NEVER doing business with this company.

I began my policy last month. I paid the agent with a check from my checking account b/c my husband was not home. We have been waiting on a bill for this month’s premiums but one never came. Yesterday I woke up to find that my bank account was in the negative with $165 in NSF fees. Turns out that the agent must have left out the form, giving them permission to draft my account. I was never told that they would draft the premiums each month.

I was told that I had to contact my agent directly b/c she might have just filled it out for me. I have not received a call back yet. I expect to get ALL my NSF fees that they caused back. I am starting to think that I made a huge mistake by going with American Republic.

They didn't shut down automatic payment even after I said to terminate, now they won't give me back my over $400 premium...

Had bounced checks and want my money back

This young agent, Jeff McDonald, took a $2,083.00 check from me about 2 weeks ago. He called today, 20 Feb 08, and said his home office lost the check, and would I put a stop check on it and send another one. I refused. I had bad experiences with McDonald who made an appointment with me, didn't keep it, then tried to say he'd called me and left a message for me 10 min. before the appointment time--which was a lie. He'd never called and left a message. He says his wife has a travel agency; but when I called his number once, she said she has a day care in her home, caring for their 3 and several others, and that the travel agency is his--Jeff's. These are reasons why I believe he never ever sent the check to the company.

I told him I'd read blogs by other policy holders--one where a lady put stop checks on a payment, and the company refused to pay the stop pay charges--but continued to send her payment back to the bank even though she told them she was canceling her insurance. Also, there are several complaints about the medical insurance rates doubling. I find it difficult to believe a multi-million corporation could lose my $2,083.00 check. I will not put a stop check on it. I am turning all this into the US Insurance agency. I don't know yet what kind of damage I will receive from this. I know I paid for the insurance, and I have none. So, I'm not covered, and I've paid for it.

I've had a policy with them for about 8 years. As their premiums increase at a ridculous rate, their service gets worse. You can't depend on the customer service reps to give a correct answer. You can't talk to a superviser. It seems they are all supervisors. I have started requesting a written response to all questions. Over the years, they have denied services (mamogram), don't seem to know what providers are in their network, don't send out EOB. All of which cost me time to correct. They do eventially correct their errors with a lot of effort on my part. It seems they want to keep their policy holders right where they are.

Every three months the premiums increase, and any time we have to go to the doctor they don't accept the claims from the doctors visits or emergency room. I am so sick of this going on and we aren't taking it anymore.

We found insurance with Blue Cross Blue Shield with lower premiums, and if we stay in our network 100% is paid for. In my opinion, American Republic is only out for themselves and to make their wallets fatter.

Abusive unexplained rate increases and unexplained discount reductions on high deductible MSA/HSA plans that my agent can't explain. He says the company rep hasn't called him back.

I pay my ever increasing premiums, fund my HSA's and still wind up paying paying for virtually all my own medical care. I haven't had a complete physical in years and haven't met deductible in 2 years yet my rates are spiraling out of control in apparent conflict with the rate determination process in place at the time I enrolled.

Despite a deductible of $4000 and a co-insurance of $5000, American Republic saw fit to increase my premium 56% from last year. This comes on top of annual increases since 2003 of 27% and 34%. I have never met my deductible and receive essentially nothing toward preventive care from this company. I'm tired of supporting the medical costs of people who eat at McDonald's and smoke cigarettes. I have cancelled this policy and, at 56 years old, am taking far less insurance, at one-third the cost, through AARP. Although it is not major medical, I refuse to subsidize these companies who care very little about the health (other than financial) of their clients.

Expert Review

Joseph BurnsHealth Insurance Contributing Editor

An independent journalist, Joseph Burns is the health insurance topic leader for the Association of Health Care Journalists and contributes to AHCJ’s Covering Health blog. He has also written about health policy and the business of health care for a wide variety of publications, including Healthcare Finance News, Hospitals & Health Networks, Managed Care magazine, Ophthalmology Management, TaxACT.com, and The Dark Report.    More about Joseph→

American Republic Insurance was founded just before the Great Depression, and it is now a national insurer offering customized health insurance plans.

• Prescription coverage at more than 50,000 pharmacies: American Republic has a large pharmacy network , making it easy to get prescriptions at low cost.
  • Provider choice: Customers can choose from among a a large network of affiliated physicians.
  • Best for Employees, heads of families, senior citizens

Compare Health Insurance

American Republic Insurance Co. Company Profile

American Republic Insurance Co.