Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.07/5

Get peace of mind

Need to know more about health insurance? Shop providers on our guide.

Check health plans

Anthem Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Recently "upgraded" to Anthem PPO. Trying to navigate their "Pharmacy Member Services" at 1-833-261-2463 is a disaster. The automated system doesn't understand basic, clearly spoken English. No matter how many times I provide my member number, the computer spits out something different, WASTING considerable time. They should invest some of their record profits into fixing their system! Trying to get my prescriptions set up is an unacceptable nuisance.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Impossible to transfer data through IRV system, after getting a representative you may end up being transferred from one department to another. Also absolutely unable to adjust claims for policy out of state of Indiana. Computer system does not recognize these although claims processing center has an access to them.

Customer service is very poorly trained and sometimes does not speak English sufficiently. Claim processing center does not go through processing process thoroughly and most of the claims is being denied in error. It takes for ever to straight up errors/issues. And it gets only worse and worse every day. It is also impossible to bring all this disaster to somebody's attention because nobody really cares. Representatives of other Blue Cross Blue Shield states also cannot get through their computer system and their opinion of working with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is very poor as well.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I have had this insurance now for about 2 yrs. I had a PCP when I first enrolled with Anthem then all of a sudden I was told I would have to pay out of pocket for my visit because he doesn't accept the insurance. So I had fell ill due to not being able to get my meds. Had to stay in the hospital a few days then get a bill for the hospital stay like I stayed at a 5 star resort. Now I have specialist that I have to see and cant even see them due to them not accepting the insurance. So I have lost money in more than one way, lost my job, and still suffering from the same illness. This insurance company are crooks behind a shield and a phone line.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I filed a claim for reimbursement on 01/09/2020. No response which is unusual. I filed a 2nd request 01/15/2020. No response again. Usual reimbursement is within 3-4 business days. Not this time. I called on 01/22/2020 and again on 01/23/2020 and got transferred from one department to the next with several CSR's telling me "We cannot locate your file." I was on a recorded line so I told the last person I spoke with I would be disenrolling. Today, 01/24/2020 I have faxed notice of termination of ACH access to my checking account, filed a STOP with my banker and filed a complaint with the Dept. of Insurance. Note: I followed up with the fax and certified return receipt mail because the law does [not] recognize verbal notification--even when the company records the caller.

Upon finalization, I will shop for a competitor. The real irritant? Every CSR said they had "no ETA" on reimbursement. One finally created a story concerning "computer problems" between the HR department and the Retiree Disbursements department. Hogwash. If there was a delay Anthem should have broadcast emailed or otherwise notified retirees. They should also have provided phone personnel with a script that made sense. Being told "We don't know. We're tired of all the seniors calling ... and, we don't have a disbursement date ..." is unprofessional (on the company's part--the CSR's were more than gracious) and unacceptable. I will not purchase another Anthem product. Ever.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

My online HSA account did not show any status of the money I transfer to investment for a whole week. When I called them, the representative tried to push me away by providing a bank number which is ridiculous. I have an account with Anthem and transferred my money to the investment on the Anthem website. Now they told me to call the bank to find out what happened???? I was talking with her for a long time but nothing she could do for me. Well, need to call them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Have the same plan since 2009. My son has been on acne medicine for 2 years, $45 co-pay per monthly prescription. Starting January 2020 Anthem split with Express Scripts and now claims the medication will only be covered after the $8800 deductible has been satisfied. At $550 per prescription that might be $5000 to $6000 more per year on top of the $890 monthly cost. I've kept this grandfathered plan to not have B.S. like this happen.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I chose Anthem thinking it had a decent # of doctors to choose from that are listed on their website. After calling these doctors they all tell me they don’t take this insurance. And I mean, it was several doctors that I had called, which were ObGYNs and Pediatricians. I was unsuccessful after many attempts. Finally, was told by one of the pediatricians to call another location, which so far we were able to go, but now I’m just crossing my fingers that the service is covered by the insurance.

And since I was unsuccessful on my own to get an ObGYN I then called Anthem for help, hoping they would have another list to give me. I was wrong. The rep said she had a different list but it was worse! After spending 45-1hr with her, still no luck. She ended up suggesting I go to the one PCP I found myself to ask for a referral instead, who can hopefully find someone for me. Seriously? What’s the point of Customer Service or a website that offer no help? FYI, this is for the Clovis/Fresno, CA area. So far I’m disappointed, and I have a whole year ahead of me to stay under this plan before the next Open Enrollment.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Well, Merry Christmas! We have AT LAST fired Anthem Blue Cross and have taken another health care provider. Anthem is akin to a criminal enterprise. We had them since 2005, and have been systematically duped by them and by one of their agents, Kelly **, since then. We were paying this year $1,889.00 per month for a family of 4, so a proper PPO policy, without vision or dental. We have been trapped by Anthem into keeping the agent ** against our will, with Anthem just refusing to let us change to another more proactive agent. ** did not contact us ONCE in 14 years!! When we tried talking by phone with us, he just hung up. NOT recommended! The guy behaves like a criminal.

Anthem has happily taken our premiums, (always paid on time) and normally just used their discounts to inform us how much money they have saved us each year, for the couple of doctor visits we actually had each year, which never reached our deductible or out of pocket, so they never had to actually pay anything. Then in 2019, our son needed a hernia operation and my wife had a colonoscopy as a precaution, so we reached, for the first time in 14 years, our deductibles and out of pockets. Anthem just denied coverage of anything that now was to come out 100% from their pocket, whether it was medication for a bacterial condition just discovered, or coverage for said colonoscopy, previously approved in full.

Every time we called Anthem, we got a different answer from the customer service rep, and efforts to escalate were blocked. Their management in California stays hidden from their customers and there absolutely no way to find out online or through their customer service who to talk to at a senior management level. I know, as I tried for months this year. They DO NOT want to talk to you! They need to be unmasked and the State of California, always so intrusive in our lives, should be making the effort to protect their tax paying citizens from this sort of fraud, and make Anthem and its management accountable for their actions!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Horrible website with only minimal work no provided. Took 4 min on phone to hold over 20 then be disconnected. Took another 3 to hear I needed to check the website, then another 2 to hear they were closed, 2 hrs before advertised.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Anthem required presurgery testing no more than 3 weeks prior to surgery. This was done, but one test had to be repeated, slowing the paperwork submission. They are now refusing to expedite the approval of surgery which two physicians have agreed is medically necessary. If surgery is not approved, we will be in the exact same loop, beginning all over again with presurgery testing since the surgeon cannot do the surgery for three weeks at the earliest. Aside from major pain and anxiety continuing, there is no way to get out of this loop and actually get the medically necessary surgery done. Anthem does not care.

Anthem Company Information