Call Now Toll Free
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.71/5

Anthem Call Now Toll Free (855) 265-7192 Compare Quotes

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Looking for short term health insurance?

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now
Call Now Toll Free

Anthem Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem?

Original review: June 16, 2020

Wife was hospitalized after minor knee surgery with a serious life threatening infection. After stabilizing she was transferred to inpatient physical rehab. Rehab was approved by Anthem. After one day in rehab it was decided she needed second surgery. After surgery transferred back to hospital for two days surgical recovery. Was going back to rehab but Anthem withdrew rehab approval. Doctors were very upset. Said they had never seen a patient treated like this. No choice but to send her to nursing home/short term rehab. But again, denied. Had to bring her home. Wouldn't wish this lousy company on my worst enemy.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I am the advocate for a family member who was hospitalized for almost three months for severe depression with Catatonia. She lost the ability to speak, eat, and walk. She was unresponsive to standard treatments. She was moved back and forth between inpatient psych facility Langley Porter (the best on the west coast) and the affiliated UCSF hospital next door, where some of her needs could be better met (iv's, etc). Her bills were almost a million dollars, but with immediate write offs due to Anthem's negotiated contracts. She had two separate bills: One for the regular hospital and one for the mental hospital. The regular hospital bill was largely paid for, with a relatively small amount left to pay. The mental hospital bill, however, was only 72% paid for, with the other 28% requiring payment.

My family member had been slowly making progress in the mental hospital, with electro-convulsive treatment (ECT), recovering from both catatonia and severe depression, as measured in part by ongoing PHQ scores. Anthem's medical director had been denying payments for some of her treatments, but Langley Porter had appealed these denials and obtained payment, as they are, after all, the experts. My family member was ultimately discharged with a PHQ score of 14, abnormal, suggesting moderate to moderate-to-severe depression. She was sleeping constantly, eating little, suffering significant memory lapses, and unable to correctly self-administer her medications. Still, she was much better.

Discharge was difficult since it was unsafe to be home alone. To avoid a stepdown facility (and all associated costs to Anthem), I took over her cares. I came from Europe to stay with her. It is a two day trip to get to California and I was in constant contact with her Langley Porter team, planning exactly when to pick her up. I did my due diligence, arrived, and took over. I was in her home for over a month and a half, as this is how long it took to recover and be safe on her own (just barely). Even so, Anthem denied payment of her last two days of (mental) hospitalization, leaving her with a $33,000 bill which is now in collections. How can this be OK?

Original review: May 18, 2020

My wife and I have Anthem insurance. I recently (March) turned 65. Without alerting us, they split our accounts and then promptly charged my wife for 3 months. No explanation. Turns out, they decided the money that I'd paid (on their bills) would only be used for me (again, their decision, not ours - nor were we informed of this). So I had a credit and her, a huge deficit! When I complained, I kept hearing that this is the way it is done and that my previous employer should have told me they were switching us (my former employer said it's up to Anthem). THEN THE FUN BEGAN. In the next five weeks, we have seen SIX DIFFERENT BILLING AMOUNTS! Every day or two, there's a different amount listed in their 'secure' site. Talked to a supervisor and I thought we had it resolved. Then three days later, different amounts from what the supervisor (Ms. Patterson) said. Again, I contacted and, after a week, still no response.

FINALLY, we see on their message site that they've reduced my wife's amount to less than what we'd been told. Rolling my eyes, I paid it. Five days later, I go online and it says we both still owe for the next month (although I can see it's gone through my bank) AND there is yet a new amount listed for my wife! No idea how they can stay in business: are they really that incompetent? All of this is in addition to the numerous ignored messages and/or messages where the agent hadn't either read the entire message or didn't look into it thoroughly. INCOMPETENT AND UNPROFESSIONAL.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I have been on the panel with Anthem as a mental health provider for 4 years and they refuse to increase my rate. Their customer service is horrendous. I have to call several times and usually request a supervisor because the reps do not appear to know what they are doing. They provide inaccurate information at times, regarding client's insurance plans.

During COVID-19, they promised to cover all client copays while using the telehealth option but this was a lie. Many of the therapists in CT are still waiting to be paid for the past month because Anthem can't seem to get it together. I want to leave the panel but more than half of my clients have Anthem so I feel stuck as a provider. They need to revamp their entire program with how they work with providers. I am appalled by their system and more disgusted that they are a billion dollar company and refusing to give rate increases, especially when the standard of living increases every year. Every year, they increase monthly insurance premiums between $100-150 but claim that they cannot provide a rate increase? This doesn't make sense to me as a provider or as a previous consumer.

Original review: April 7, 2020

Today I contacted Anthem about a dental procedure my husband had done and I had a very hard time getting someone on the phone and I talked to 5 different people to go over my benefits. I had my benefits package with me that anthem themselves sent me and what they sent me didn’t match my plan. So a procedure we thought was covered because of the benefits package we received was not covered and they said we had to wait 12 months for my husband to have been qualified for this procedure. Very unhappy with their customer service department on the dental insurance line who had no respect or manners and kept belittling me like I didn’t matter or my husband did matter.

Now with everyone being self quarantined due this pandemic of coronavirus I was expecting a little attitude because I myself and struggling being confined as well but I didn’t think that I was gonna get sweared at about this issue. And 3 people in customer service hung up on me because I asked them to explain my benefits. I would have understood if they just respected me as a person but that didn't happen. If anything I expected them to not pay all of my dental charges cause repairs and relines for dentures are Lot more expensive and they covered $6000 of my costs. But my husband who needed a root canal and cap they won’t cover and that’s cheaper than my dental bills.

So I want to explain why I gave them a 1 star review on top of being rude and swearing at me. They called me a 5 year old for asking questions about my policy and I didn’t even do anything wrong. I was very polite. Now keep in mind I’m in my 30’s so being told I’m acting like I’m 5 because I want to know more about my policy is not gonna make your customers want to call you if you're rude and nasty to people.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I switched to Anthem Blue Cross and Shield this year because they offered a zero deductible plan from Silver Script (I'm a diabetic and transplant patient) - the change has been a DISASTER! All of my diabetic medications are not in their formulary (** and **), plus other medications required for my transplants (Liver and Kidney) are also excluded. I can't wait to dump them and would never consider them for anything. I look at them as a bunch of Thugs - Taking our Money and Offering NOTHING in return. In the meantime I'm having to ration my medications.

Original review: March 6, 2020

Not reliable insurance. If you have problems or have to stay home after surgery, please send the request for the short term or for a long term disability a month prior so you be able to get at least a paycheck on time. They take forever to review paperwork. Even know that you sign papers stating that if you get overpay to return the money, they still have 20 to 30 days to see if you have a pre existing conditions. Florida Blue is way better and work faster for your case. It's been more than 6 weeks and I haven't got any paycheck or even an explanation why it's taking so long. I have to call them and ask them questions about it. I send emails and no response. They can't put the case worker on the phone, it's the receptionist that answers all your questions. But for them to collect your money every week, they quick for that and if you stop paying, they will terminate it. What is the purpose to have insurance and PAYING FOR IT, if you can't rely on it.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

My company switch from Humana to Anthem at the beginning of the year. I've had to take Testosterone injections since before I've been with this joke of an insurance company. For some reason they have to prior authorize my medication. Ok fine. I was originally told it would take up to 48 hours. For some reason after the 3rd call with them to try and speed this process up, they're now telling me it can take 5-7 days. It has been over 72 hours! My doctor's office has already placed an urgent request on this authorization crap. However they deny they did.

So now after I've called 3 times and expressed how important it is I get my medication they ask if I want to place and urgent status on this process!!! Are you serious! Of course I do! This isnt something I want so I can get high. This is medication my body needs cause I don't produce it on my own anymore. When I was with Humana I never had this issue one time. Why does an insurance company have the right to delay or deny medication a doctor has told them I need!?! If you have a choice don't choose Anthem as your insurer. They are a horrible company!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I have experience hassles and long wait times to communicate with customers service for Anthem Blue Cross of Ohio. When you call on the phone. The wait time is anywhere from 15 minutes or more. When you log into website as a member, the site is usually experiencing technical difficulties or it rejects my log in credential and is unable to reset my password and ID. I have complained to Customer service about these problems in the past and they tell me they understand my concerns. Last 3 months I was unable to pay my premium online due to problems with website. When I call on phone, I wait on hold which seems like forever. What is wrong with this reputable company????

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My husband just changed jobs, so we were forced to change to Anthem BCBS. They are denying requests for medications that I have been taking for literally years. They say the medications are not medically necessary. Well, that's funny because my old Out-of-Network BCBS determined years ago that these medications were, in fact necessary... and finally, I wasn't suffering any longer. Now insurance changes and I'm suddenly OKAY?? How does that make any sense?

If you have any choice...Do not get this insurance! You will pay around $7000 annually for this insurance...then, you still will have to pay for everything...well, until you hit your deductible!!! And doctor's appointments will be $30 for your primary, plus 80% of anything extra your doctor bills. So, for example, you may pay over $200 for your Dr. to burn a wart off your kid's toe, that you could have just done yourself for $20 or less. Stay away from this insurance company!!

Anthem Company Information