Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
1.95/5

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

189 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Amica Insurance takes advantage of customers who don’t shop. This is a warning to ANY Amica customer. The agents are taught to blame it on the State however that is most often not the case. I once thought highly of this company but whomever is on their board of decision makers is all about taking advantage now.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi AJ. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Other insurance companies work FOR their customers, not AGAINST them. Not AMICA. No investigation of the facts whatsoever. They simply pay the claim and double (or triple) your premiums. In my case, there was a need to interview witnesses (personal friends of the other driver) who contradicted another, independent, witness. Additionally, the other driver violated NYS law. But AMICA had no interest in spending any time investigating the accident. I simply cannot recommend them to anyone.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Al. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name, contact information and claim number and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

On November 3rd 2017, my husband and I were rear ended on the highway by a woman that had state Minimum coverage. So my underinsured had to kick in. My attorney has been getting run around for over 5 months. They have to sign off on the offer the other insurance has offered before they will settle on their end. I was injured pretty badly and I am unable to work anymore so we have been in need of at least the other insurance company’s settlement. Here we are facing foreclosure and utilities being shut off all because someone will not do their job.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The prices are good. The customer service is where they really excel and they have always made it easy when I filed a claim. They helped me avoid going to court when someone falsely sued me. The claims were settled quickly too.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're glad to hear you've had a good experience with us, Michael. Thank you for your review!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

3 weeks ago I decided to switch to Amica for automotive insurance. A few days after switching I decided to cancel and go with a much cheaper provider. My fault I didn't do my homework thoroughly enough the first time. When I called Amica and canceled the policy the agent told me over the phone and in a email that I would have my refund by the weeks end. Well now it's 2 weeks later and nothing. The calls and emails to my agent have not been responded to. So today after calling customer service I have been told that accounting is still reviewing my payment and holding my money. The payment cleared my bank weeks ago. None of the customer service agents I've spoke with can give me the same answer regarding why accounting is holding my funds.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Ben. We understand that you spoke with a representative this morning regarding your concerns. We’re actively working on your account, but if there’s anything that you’d like to discuss with us further, please let us know and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have been an Amica auto, homeowner and umbrella customer in Colorado for 1 year. I received renewals and was shocked by a 25% ($432) increase in my homeowner premium and a 20% ($229). I've not filed any claims for many years so that can’t be the reasoning for the steep premium increase. No auto claims and no liability claim either. I switched from Nationwide to Amica because of high ratings by customers who've had claims processed and THAT is why I believe my 25% increase is a result of. My inflation adjustment for my dwelling liability increased by >6%. But because Amica customers seem to get their claims paid in full, therefore customers who never file claims have to subsidize those payouts.

I don't know if Amica realizes that this high increase in premium on top of already high premiums will drive away responsible customers, leaving them with a smaller base of customers to spread the cost of payouts. Customers who stay with Amica would bear larger and larger premium increases as fewer and fewer customers purchase their policies. You'd think that with fewer customers, there would be fewer claims, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that Amica's reliably good claims processing is attracting less desirable risk, while driving away less risky customers. While I could increase my deductible I would not save much on the premium. As a result, it's good practice to shop around for insurance among the Consumer Reports other highly rated insurers.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tom. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been an Amica customer for about 30 years. I have gone long periods without filing a claim, and then other times (mainly since my daughter started driving) I have had to file a number of claims, probably 6 in the last 5 years. When I've had auto body work, their vendors have been outstanding. One even drove to my house to pick me up to take me to their location half an hour away so I could get my car on the day promised. I have auto, home and an umbrella policy with them and it would take more than one really negative experience with them to make me change.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thank you for trusting us with your insurance needs, Natalie. We're glad to hear that you've had good experiences with Amica, and we appreciate your kind review!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I've been a huge fan and customer of AMICA for 35+ years. No longer. When I recently moved from a major city to a rural area [more pines than people], they told me my premium would increase 30%! I was shocked. I asked what the rationale was behind raising rates for someone who moves to a smaller community vs. living in a major city where there are more cars and more of a chance for accidents. They simply said, "because." If that's how you're treated after 35+ years, I can only imagine what happens when you're a new customer. AMICA has gone downhill in the last several years. Sad.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Wendy. We’d like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was relief to see that the lady who crashed my car in a car accident had Amica, because I thought it was one of best insurance base on Clark Howard's recommendations. I was so wrong, they do not call, does not return calls, very aggressive and do not follow up, so disappointed... Amica did not live up to the expectations.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Johanna. We’d like to look into this and have someone get in touch with you regarding this experience. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number so we have a representative reach out? Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I called Amica on a Friday trying to get homeowners insurance, “Anthony Martinez” out of California was really nice and I thought it was a great sign that this would go well. I was wrong. I send him some documents he needs and then he calls me Friday night saying everything will be all set by for Monday, I said great I really need it to be done Monday due to the closing date on my home. I put it all in his hands to take care of me and he failed. Monday I call him and he says my loan officer will have the binder later that day and he would keep me in the loop. My loan officer nor I received emails that day about anything. Now it’s Tuesday. I’m calling Anthony all day, no answer from his phone. No answer from email.

I now call Amica to speak to somebody else and they tell me they cannot give me home insurance, why didn’t Anthony contact me anytime sooner with they info? He knew it was important I got this done on time due to my closing and he himself did not reach out to call me. I finally got in touch with Anthony at 3pm in the afternoon on Tuesday. I needed this done on a Monday to remind you. Now it’s Tuesday afternoon and I have no time to call other agencies to find a different insurance company and needless to say my closing date on my new home has been pushed back all because Anthony failed to communicate with me at a reasonable time.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Renee. We’d like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I'm someone who does thorough research before committing to a service, so I felt confident when most websites had Amica listed as the best auto insurance coverage short of USAA, which is reserved for military families. I first had Amica coverage for myself, a good driver with spotless record who never called in any claims. Things were fine despite yearly premium increases that seemed high but not outrageous.

Once my husband joined my plan, the premium went up; I wasn't happy but expected it considering a point on his record. Then things got pretty pricey, to the point where we were paying nearly $400 a month for two vehicles. But really the concern comes with how they dealt with minor claims that took place in the last two years (we had six years of coverage total) -- they seem customer-service forward at first, but they are all over the place with responding to emails, accurately recording information, and providing actual good service.

Once I started shopping around for other quotes, it became apparent just what a mess Amica is -- they had input information incorrectly on one of the claims and this was causing a slew of issues on my husband's record. Getting it cleared up was a nightmare and even when they delivered the documentation we needed, it still had an error. Many of the agents give you conflicting information and rarely follow through. Honestly, just avoid this company.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi April. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your claim number and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I switched my Home, Auto and the umbrella insurance to Amica two years ago because their prices were attractive. However, year over year my total cost has increased 16% and 12% respectively, while my home, cars and myself are getting older. That's 28% increase in 2 years! My home dwelling (cost to rebuild my house) has increased year over year...8% and 6% respectively, however home values as well as new build/replacement cost my area has decreased. I called Amica and made my argument without resolution. Time to look elsewhere...

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Mike. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We've been insured under Amica for a decade. Throughout the first seven years, we were happy to pay more than average because they were great. Over the last two-three years, everything has completely deteriorated. Some examples: Last spring, I received information about owing money due to an accident. Fair. I called their accounting department and was repeatedly told they could not find the bill, could not find the person I was supposed to talk to in order to pay, etc. It took four separate calls (and several hours!) to finally track down someone who had any idea what was going on and how to, you know, pay them the money they'd billed me for.

The rep who dealt with our homeowners insurance had a list of things that needed to get fixed or changed for our policy. Some made total sense: proof that the oil tank was removed, trimming a tree near a power line. Others, not so much: re-painting the entire (recently painted) house. I asked about that one, and not only could she not explain why that needed to happen, she also told me she couldn't find out why, and that I just had to do it. I assume there IS a reason, but if I'm going to pay for an entire house re-paint, it would awesome if someone could actually give me the reason behind it, you know?

Despite paying our auto insurance monthly for a year, last year they randomly billed the entire sum for the coming year to our credit card. I called, they refunded me, and assured me it was completely set back to monthly for the future. Last month, they did the exact same thing. I called, the person I spoke to assured me it would be refunded and fixed. A month later, no refund, no monthly charge.

I called to check in and was told they couldn't issue it because they needed to confirm that we hadn't filed a dispute with our bank. (We hadn't. I hadn't mentioned anything about it during the first call. While on the phone with me, she checked and said "Hmmmm, there's no mention of why they would think there was.") I asked why no one had called to ask us about this. She explained they'd called at least eight times. I checked our phone records. One call from Amica, no voicemails. I asked which phone number they'd called, and she told me they didn't store this information.

During this call, she also told me that an umbrella policy I'd been under the impression I'd canceled (because... I spoke to someone, requested it was canceled, and was told it was) last summer had actually NOT been canceled, and canceled itself due to my non-payment. (They have my credit card information on file. Every other policy I have is set up on auto-bill. Why would this one also not be on auto-bill, if it was still active?) No one I've spoken to in the previous year (and there have been a lot, see all of the above points!) has mentioned owing money on this policy. Since I've been under the impression it was successfully canceled, and it's been a year, my notes on the cancellation (e.g., who I spoke to, when I spoke to them, any sort of confirmation information I received over the phone) are long gone.

When I asked why no one had mentioned it up until now, or contacted us about it, and mentioned that I was fairly frustrated with all of my experiences with Amica over the past few years, she replied "Well, this situation hasn't been awful... We refunded your money!" And it's true, they did. After they overcharged me nearly two thousand dollars for something they said was fixed last year, after three phone calls and several hours on the phone, and after I had to follow up with them because they apparently have a phantom phone number for me that they only use when trying to issue me a refund, they did refund my money.

I paid for the stupid three months of the umbrella policy just to end the agony. I'm delighted to report I'm searching for a new insurance provider for my auto, homeowners, and landlord insurance policies, and I hope to soon say I'll never need to speak to Amica again. If you'd like to pay extra for a Kafka-esque bureaucratic frustration, definitely go with Amica. Otherwise, shop around.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry to hear this, Savannah, and we’d like to speak with you about the experiences you’ve had with us. We’ve passed your review along and will have a manager get in touch with you to discuss this. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Did not renew insurance with Amica and they sent it to collections. After four years Amica raised my rates and I decided not to renew and got another insurance company. Couple months later I got a letter from them, demanding x amount of money and unless I paid they would send it to collections. I called them and told them that I don't owe them anything and I don't have to renew my insurance with them. They said if I send them my new insurance information (none of their business) then I wouldn't have to pay anything. Despite my better judgment I sent them the info. I haven't heard back from them, but about a month later I got a letter from a collection agency to pay the same amount of money. I wonder how would they react if after not paying my monthly premium, I would show up and demand money for my damages.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Erika. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I am dealing with a catastrophic home claim I filed in June. I have never dealt with this before. I have not heard from my adjuster and am nowhere near close to my house being fixed. I called numerous times to be told my adjuster is on leave and a supervisor would call me back. That was a week ago. I called today and was disconnected when transferring the call. I called back. Another representative was not helpful and cut me off when I spoke. I am sad to say the time of need I really need my insurance company they are a joke! I plan on going on every site possible so other people don't experience the same thing. I am not sure how Amica can say they have a satisfaction rate in the 90s, I wouldn't even give you half of that!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Sylvia. We’re sorry to hear this, and we’d like to have a representative get in touch with you about your claim and your experience with us. Could you please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number? If so, we will someone reach out directly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I have been with AMICA for 3 years now and while they were not the cheapest insurance they had good customer service, and gave me peace of mind (although they did keep going up on their rates while justifying the increase by telling me, "We added other services to your policy", which I don't even use). I am a customer that always made the most of their "discounts": safe driver, loyal customer, great credit, multi policy, etc. I paid them for a whole year of insurance upfront, just like I always do; a total of $837 for my 9 year old SUV (full coverage) in March. Now here it is August (5 months later) and I sold my SUV, and I cancelled the coverage since I no longer needed it (keep in mind that I still have one auto insured through AMICA). I was expecting at get back at least $350 to $400 return for the portion of unused insurance that I had purchased, instead got back a total $156 for the remaining 7 months of prepaid full coverage auto policy.

They said it is due to not being eligible for the discounts they were giving me when I "started" the policy (since I don't have two cars insured). I call "BS" and had they told me they were going to keep my money for the unused portion I would not have paid them upfront (warning to people... do not pay them upfront ever just make the monthly payments so you can walk away at any time, the 5% discount is not worth the risk). I am now going to cancel my renters insurance and will check on going back to AAA auto insurance (just wondering how much AMICA will rip me off again for leaving them) who at least have physical offices everywhere, and while they may not have the best customer service at least they did not rip me off either I would rather know what I am dealing with.

Lesson learned and I will not be back ever, and I will continue to discourage anyone from getting any kind of AMICA insurance (the dividend they like to brag about is a bunch of crap too, it is nothing more than a marketing scheme people, I only got $20 a year twice). AMICA is this how you treat your loyal customers, if so you can keep your "blood money" and I will give someone else my business and money when we are through. At this point I would rather pay another company more money just to prove a point to AMICA. Also I just checked AMICA's website and they archive all the policies you have had with with them, funny though they took that prepaid policy off. It does not matter I have the email they originally sent back in February and it will be getting sent to Austin Tx with my complaint.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tony. We saw your review and would like to discuss it with you. Please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we'll have someone reach out to you. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I had a full year auto insurance with Amica and fully paid the insurance at the very beginning (May 2017). This insurance stopped in May 2018. Then I started a new auto policy with another company at the beginning of May 2018. However, they keep sending me email, mail, and even via CCS to ask for bill. That is cheating.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hello. We'd like to look into this. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your name and phone number and we'll have someone contact you about this. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I'm new to Amica. But since my parked car was struck by an hit and run, security and police reports made, I feel Amica claims adjuster has constantly wanted to push this claim to my collision coverage, which I believe will negatively affect my future insurance costs but guarantee they recoup their costs, for shareholder? Maybe all insurance companies do this? I do not know. I feel they investigated me. Am I at fault? The car was parked, I think it's to make their money back.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tim. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Could you please send us an email at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name, contact information, and claim number so we can have a representative get in touch? Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My family has had Amica insurance for over 10 years. Multiple family members carry the insurance for their homes and cars (at least 4 houses and 4 cars, and probably others that I don't know about). This year, one of the home insurance policies had to be underwritten again. The customer service during this process was fantastic. After about 6 weeks of emails and phone calls (which was a reasonable amount of time because there were multiple family members who needed to be on conference calls), we received 3 new quotes in April.

The quotes were accurate and on par with the previous policy cost. Then, due to family travel and unforeseen circumstances, there was a 6-8 week gap in communication to Amica. When we reached out again (in June) to accept one of the quotes, we were told the rates had increased. When we inquired as to why, in a two month period the rates had increased, we were told that was not information that could be shared with us. Furthermore, when we inquired as to the number of claims that had been made on the policy, we were also told that information could not be shared with us. We are now so disappointed with the customer service and the business ethics and practices at Amica, all family members are looking to insure both homes and cars elsewhere.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Adrienne. We’d like the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you. Please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I read reviews and did my research online for a great auto insurance company. Everything I saw had Amica rated really well, so I decided to do a quote online and then phoned in to get everything finalized. Susan ** was the rep who helped me and was very pleasant getting everything set up. I made a payment to have the policy start at midnight on 08/07/2018. After downloading the Amica app later that evening, I realized that the closest preferred collision center was about an hour away. Given a wreck is a headache enough, I did not want to have to a commute to also deal with to get a repair done. So, I called in that night and asked to have it canceled for this reason and I was told they would mail me a check out for the refund.

Susan called me on 08/07/2018 midday and stated that she had seen my request and asked that I call and speak with her about my concern. I did that and after talking with her I decided that I still did not feel comfortable taking a wreck car to a non-preferred facility. She did mention that I could see about having any facility added to their list, but that is something that I would expect from The General insurance commercial.

Why should I do the footwork to get you a non-preferred facility approved??? So, I asked to go ahead with the cancellation and her tone changed, not rude, but just no more sincerity and concern for my interests were gone. She stated that she would go ahead and process the cancellation and that I would also get an email confirming that, which I never got. Today I get a email from Carmen ** about following up on my documents that need to be signed. What happen to my cancellation??? I have email Carmen and Susan back regarding this issue and currently am waiting on a reply. I did not expect this runaround with a company that I read so many positives things about.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi James. We’d like to discuss this with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information? From there, we’ll have someone get in touch with you. Thank you. -JH

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Car was hit from behind causing damage to the vehicle and it had to be towed. Used Amica preferred body shop that fixed the bumper but they refused to fix any damage done from accident to the front of the vehicle. The Amica preferred body shop really made it clear that I have to pay for anything done to the front of the vehicle. It wasn't surprising the Amica appraisal people agreed with the body shop completely. I informed the body shop that force from the back on the vehicle can transfer to the front of the vehicle. The Amica preferred body shop gave high estimates for the front lower control arms, front wheel and front bearing arguing that nothing in the front of the vehicle is damage related to the accident.

Long story short had to tow the vehicle back and took the car to another mechanic that replaced only the bearing and one tire and now car is aligned perfectly. Turned out front lower control arms and wheel were just fine. So in conclusion a car hit from behind turning right with brakes on and hit with a certain amount of force can and will damage a front bearing. Sent photo of bearing to Amica showing the bearing being pulled out from tire being dragged.

Bottom line my experience with their customer service has been very poor and it's unfortunate I had to cover some of the damages myself. I'm sure Amica's reply to this is, "It isn't accident related." So if it isn't why would I have to tow the car to and from the body shop? Sure there is wear and tear on a car but the car ran straight before accident and after accident it can't be driven hardly at all. Sad you pay for insurance for years and then when you need it I still have to pay for repairs to get car running to where it was before.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Robert. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Could you please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and claim number? From there, we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was a policyholder in one form or another for over 30 years. I dropped my auto insurance about 5 years ago. The rates went up considerably because I had an auto accident and a couple of photo radar tickets, so understandable. I held onto to my homeowner insurance. I've checked auto insurance a few times at Amica but it would cost me triple from what I'm paying now. This week I decided to look at bundling my home with Progressive my current auto insurance. I find out that it will save me over 1000.00 a year on just my homeowners insurance for the same coverage. Really that much!

I never had a claim. I don't mind paying a little extra for good service but wow. I'm feeling foolish to think they were giving me decent rates for being a loyal customer. I'm feeling like I was violated by someone I thought I knew. They really screwed me. I used to really have good comments about this company and even recommended them to handful of friends. Not anymore.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Thomas. We’re sorry that you feel this way. If you’d like to discuss your concerns with us, please send us an email at socialmedia@amica.com with your name and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: July 13, 2018

I signed up with Amica for a 1 year Auto & Home policy in July 2017. I knew at that time I was selecting an insurance company rated for some of the best service in NA. My original sales representative was very helpful and informative and helped me setup my Iowa policies. He also let me know at the 1 year renewal mark I would have the options of maintaining my coverage for a slight discount or increasing my coverage for a slight increase in premium which I was pleased to hear. Both policies combined were around $2,100~ over the year at $176 plus change monthly which was the most I’d ever paid for insurance, but I was happy to pay it because I came to Amica with the intention of staying put and one day passing this great coverage on to my future children.

I spoke with various representatives as time went by who were always professional and some were extra kind and helpful/caring. And I had good service experiences with Amica. In April 2018 I spoke with a sales representative for New Mexico who advised me that to have the same kinds of policies in New Mexico would be around $12 cheaper per year than Iowa. In May 2018 both policies were changed to New Mexico. In June 2018 I saw my first bill for my New Mexico policies which was $278...

Keep in mind I never had single accident claim that resulted in Amica paying out a dime nor did I incur any speeding or driving related tickets during this period. When I called Amica to find out why my bill had gone up I was informed that 12 months of charges had been packed into 9 months of billing due to the way the billing worked out which I understood, but the bill was still too high even accounting for that.

After more conversations I found out my New Mexico policies were over $2,500 over 12 months and that if Amica had renewed my Iowa policies I would have paid over $2,400 over 12 months. Amica had some professional and even kind representatives that listened to me, but Amica has not empowered them or even the supervisors enough to help someone in my situation. Therefore the dream I had for Amica & I is dead, and the corporation Amica has become like a ??? that bites in my eyes. I am switching to Allstate where for $128 plus change per month I can at least cover the auto fully.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry we weren’t able to meet your needs at this time, Abriam. There are many factors that go into pricing a policy. We’ll pass your feedback along and we wish you all the best in the future. Thank you. -KD

Original review: June 28, 2018

Our daughter has a spotless driving record. We are in the process of giving her our 11 year old car that has never been in an accident and has well under 100,000 miles. She lives 1500 miles from us. We drove the car 2 days ago to her new location. She previously lived 2500 miles away on the East Coast. She did not own or drive any car for the past 14 months. She had been on our Amica policy for 6.5 years. First as a high school student with no car of her own and later to an out-of-state honor college student. When she moved to the East Coast, she did not own or drive a car, nor was she a student any longer. Her work provided her with a Metropass. Amica told us to take her off of our policy when she moved to the East Coast 14 months ago. They increased our rate 14% after we took her off because they said they felt like it.

She just accepted a new job in the Midwest. We drove our 11 year old car there and are in the process of giving it to her (her name on the title, and new license plates. She is also getting a new driver's license.) Amica quoted her car insurance policy at $8000!!! She has a clean driving record as does the 11 year old car which also has air bags, alarm, well under 100,000 miles, stabilizer suspension, anti-lock breaks. Amica says they are charging her that because she didn't have insurance last year. How can you have car insurance when you don't own or drive a car? Why did they tell me to take her off our policy and then raise our rates when we had fewer drivers, fewer miles being driven? She received car insurance easily from a different major car insurance company for $972. Amica screws its customers and there is no service from their customer service. Horrible, unethical company.

Updated on 06/29/2018: I was told that I could only privately respond to your unhelpful response which I feel is ridiculous. So Amica here is my response to your "help" in this matter. Your representative agreed that you are not the cheapest in providing car insurance and that you did recommend my daughter go off our policy. Also, the $8000 quote for her individual insurance is firm. The rep could not justify the increase to our policy after the removal of our daughter. Everything I said was confirmed. Amica hates millennials and anyone over fifty. Customer service acts as gatekeepers to screw us with a smile.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We understand that you spoke with a representative about this today. If there's anything you'd like to discuss with us further, we'd be happy to have someone reach out again. Thank you.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I received a quote with the exact same coverages I have with Geico. 100/300 50k property damage 2 cars and $500 deductibles full coverage includes uninsured motorist and $30/900 rental coverage. I pay $150 a month and these clowns wanted $626. Do yourself a favor if you have this company insuring your cars. Call Geico ASAP because odds are you're getting ripped off!

Amica Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry we weren’t able to meet your needs at this time, Stephen. if you’d like to have someone review your quote with you, please send us an email at socialmedia@amica.com and provide us with your full name and phone number so we can have a representative contact you directly. Thanks. -CB

Original review: June 18, 2018

I live with other family members and a select few tend to forget to give me my mail daily or they’ll get mail from the box and toss the pile in a different area of the house each day and not remember where they put it. So I enrolled for my bills to be emailed monthly to me. I rarely check my email so typically knowing my bill was due the first week of the month and it was always the same amount $100. I used to just log onto Amica.com which my dashboard/profile would show me the amount due and the date it was due by and then I was able to pay it then and there in one shot. In March after I paid my typical bill I added on a second car that I only drive once in a while during the summer time. I was told that it was going to cost an extra $89 a month so my bill total would be $175. She said I would begin seeing this new total come the next bill cycle.

03/31/2018 was the last time Amica had posted a bill to my account. On 04/17/18 I logged onto my Amica profile and my dashboard said I owed $100 immediately and showed no other balance or amount due. So I paid $100 on 04/17/18 and where the dashboard said there was no amount due I figured I was fine until the next upcoming month. Well Amica mailed out a cancellation notice 17 days later after I paid the $100 saying if I didn’t pay $99.67 by 05/29/18 then the policy would be cancelled. Well I never ended up seeing this actual letter until 06/10/18 when a family member had cleaned the kitchen and had found it in a pile of junk mail, she told me she assumed it wasn’t important since she knew I signed up for my bills to be emailed and that I knew to pay each month.

Between the day I made the $100 payment and to the cancellation date 04/17/18 to 05/29/18 not one Amica agent had attempted to contact me by making a phone call to me to let me know I actually had $99.76 past due and it had to be paid before 05/29/18 in order to avoid cancellation. My step dad was hit by a drunk driver the week of Memorial Day weekend which same week Amica was to cancel my policy that I had absolutely no knowledge of. So I traveled miles daily after 05/29/18 until 06/10/18 which when I finally discovered this whole issue which left me stranded miles from home and sleeping outside on a sidewalk in front of the hospital my dad was dying in up in ICU. He had to be placed into induced coma which ended up causing me to be side tracked which I admit is my doing, but I figured everything was ok with my policy and didn’t think an insurance company would cancel me for being a few days late.

This point I figured my bill was due 06/2/18 and forgot about it until 06/10/18. While my dad was in a very high risk surgery I recalled I had put off 2/3 bills and decided to pay them while waiting. I logged onto my Amica profile and my dashboard showed I had to make a payment of $99.76 which threw me off a bit because I assumed by now my second vehicle was going to be billed this time. I paid the $100 and planned to call Amica the next day since I had plans to go home since I didn’t have a babysitter. My dashboard said I had then had $0.00 past due and that next amount due was to be $185.00 due 08/2/18 so again so misleading and assumed everything was fine. Well it wasn’t because I finally was given the letter sent to me on 05/4/18 saying my policy was cancelled 05/29/18 due to $99.76 not being paid. Confused I looked into my past bills which last bill Amica posted was 3/15/18 and it was actually for the amount of roughly $250!

Since that was the case I’d love to know why my dashboard had shown me that only a payment of $150 was due 4/17/18 and not actually the full bill amount! And instead of a normal company that would’ve actually called their client to inform them Amica just sends out a cancellation notice 17 days prior to receiving $150 and saying I’ll be cancelled over a petty $100. When all they needed to do was either give me a phone call or just put the past due $100 into the next bill they could’ve posted and stating it must be paid in full by a certain date. None of this would’ve happened if Amica had actually told me on my dashboard the exact amount the bill was due versus like half the bill.

Then on 6/7/18 when I made the payment of the $100 that my dashboard said was due my dashboard had then said I had zero past due and $185 not due until 8/2/18 which if Amica hasn’t posted a bill to my account on that policy since 3/15/18 and that they cancelled it 5/29/18 how the heck can they say I owe them $185 on 8/2/18 on a policy that isn’t even active any longer! When I paid the $100 on 6/7/18 that was the amount that was due before 5/29/18 to avoid cancellation so technically I was to be caught up on that past policy. When I contacted Amica multiple times they all avoid actually answering my questions and admit their poor communication skills they have with customers. And the fact that this whole cancellation absolutely could’ve been avoided all together.

They just change the subject to the fact that they’ll gladly quote me on starting a new policy which will cost me more monthly due to being cancelled for non payment by last insurer (no crap. It is your company!) and then demand I must pay 20% down upfront to begin the policy! I refuse! If Amica had communicated correctly or put correct amounts due on customers dashboards this wouldn’t have happened! And dealing with my dad in coma and hanging to life by a thread I now deal with this and having no car. So if I am called by the hospital telling me I must get there ASAP I can’t and could possibly miss my chance of saying goodbye to him if it comes down to this. Amica needs to admit to their fault. I can admit to mine that I didn’t get this cancellation notice until after 5/29/18 and it wasn’t due to them mailing it, it was due to family I live with not giving me my mail in a proper manner.

But Amica had no good reason on not placing the full bill amount on my dashboard and accepting me making only half the bill amount payment on 4/17/18 or showing I had no amount at all past due after making this payment. Never once attempting to call me to inform me of their poor billing system which goes good along with their poor communication skills. Then demand I begin a new policy that will cost me more and demand I pay a huge chunk upfront. Then totally avoid answering me on why they never communicated with me by a phone call or the fact their billing/dashboard was incorrect and change the subject to just demanding me they can only offer me a new policy and pay 20% upfront. And plus the fact too I will need to pay the RMV title fees due to having my insurance cancelled!

I truly feel Amica sees that I have carried insurance and drove in the last 12 years straight and those 12 years I have a perfect driving history with not one ticket, citation or pulled over etc and had only made five claims in 12 years to my insurance provider which 4 claims was glass and 1 being an auto accident that I wasn’t at fault for so the amount my insurance provider had paid out to me was given back to them from the person who was at faults insurance company. So Amica sees me as a person who can be taken advantage of. I’m a customer who will pay almost $1500 for the year to insure a car and most likely will not have to file a claim and be paid out any money making it more money given to their company and placed into their pockets that they get to walk away with.

So why not set up miscommunication with billing etc resulting in cancellation (legally they must send a cancellation notice and they probably hoped I was not to see it like I didn’t resulting in this outcome) so they could cancel my current policy and then totally ignore explaining any reasons why mistakes happened on their end, but just shove a “We can give you a new policy which will cost an extra $700 for the year due to you was cancelled for nonpayment and you must pay 20% down today to activate this new policy” all knowing they will most likely be able to walk away with everything I pay at the end of the year.

Why make only $1500 off me a year when it can be set up to where I’m forced to be told I have to pay $2600 a year making it much more they can pocket in the end. I feel I deserve from Amica an apology for their behalf having legit no communication, billing issues where their posted bill amounts do not match the amounts on Amica profile dashboard and not making one phone call to inform their customer that they are about to be cancelled over $100 and then continue to bill amounts and say bills are due on a policy that isn’t active. I deserve to also begin a new policy, but paying the same previous policy premium amount for the two cars I was to be paying and not be required to pay 20% down upfront since I will have no choice in paying out RMV title fees over their miscommunication skills.

Amica is a little over priced to begin with and they are almost $200-$300 more for me yearly than other companies I’ve looked into or have had, Arbella being one of them, but all my family members have very high things to say about Amica and I would love to feel the same, but at this moment it is just impossible. Arbella never would’ve done this to me in the ten years I had been insured with them. They always made sure the full bill amount matched the amount posted to be due online and if this had happen with them then they would’ve contacted me to inform me that there actually was still $100 past due and to pay immediately or give the option they roll over into the next months bill and require I pay the full bill amount.

I did receive a call from an Amica agent few days ago on Friday, but I was in the ICU with my dad and phones are required to be off and typically aren’t even allowed into the room even while off with you due to it can malfunction important machines they have being used on the patient. And it was after 6 pm I had gotten the voicemail along with it was the weekend.

Today I had again to be at the hospital/ICU due to we had to speak of potential arrangements if it comes down to that so I did forget to make the call back, but I plan to speak to the Amica agent tomorrow and I truly hope that Amica had her contact me to fix this and hopefully fix it the right way and not just demand I begin a new policy that will cost almost $500 more and I must pay 20% down upfront. Because honestly I have been not working along paying for child care, now the last week I have had to take public transportation which costs me well over $40 a day there and back. And will possibly have a 50/50 chance I will have to help my family pitch in paying these medical bills and if he gets better he’ll need physical therapy, more bills or passing away which paying for funeral costs is not cheap at all.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Heather. We understand that a representative has reached out to you several times regarding your concerns. If you’d like to continue the discussion, please reach out to us at 800-592-6422. Thank you.

Resolution response: June 23, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised to actually speak with a manager who explained the situation in Georgia and with my policy, in particular. I understand what happened and appreciated an honest accounting pertaining to my policy. Changes promised by the manager have been confirmed and I am quite happy with my premium.

I can see why Amica has always ranked high in customer service, not just with claims processing. Thank you!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have been an Amica auto, homeowner and umbrella customer in Georgia for 2 years. I just received notice for my renewals and was shocked by a 25%(>$400) increase in my homeowner premium. I've never filed any claims with any insurer since owning my house. No auto claims and no liability claims ever, either. I switched from Auto Owners to Amica because of high ratings by customers who've had claims processed. And THAT is what I believe my 25% increase is due to.

My inflation adjustment for my dwelling liability increased by 6%. But because Amica customers seem to get their claims paid in full, customers who never file claims have to subsidize those payouts.

I don't know if Amica realizes that this high increase in premium on top of already high premiums will drive away customers, leaving them with a smaller base of customers to spread the cost of payouts. Customers who stay with Amica would bear larger and larger premium increases as fewer and fewer customers bear the costs. You'd think that with fewer customers, there would be fewer claims, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that Amica's reliably good claims processing is attracting less desirable risk, while driving away less risky customers. While I could increase my deductible from $1,500 to $2,500, I would not save much on the premium. As a result, it's good practice to shop around for insurance among the Consumer Reports other highly rated insurers.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Naomi. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your name and contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: June 12, 2018

So, after a couple years with Amica Insurance I receive a letter stating they won’t renew my policy because of claims they paid involving; Towing, an accident where my wife and daughter were rear ended and other claim. I decided to go with them for Roadside Assistance. Amica made their Roadside program out to be better than AAA etc. I paid a fee for 5 cars yearly. My daughter had (8) tow claims which they paid but never sending me a letter or notice that there's a limit to claims. My wife and daughter were rear ended last August by an at FAULT driver, Amica chose to add that accident against my policy despite having the At FAULT INSUREDS insurance to go after. My wife got pretty hurt in that accident requiring her to have shoulder surgery from the seat belt of all things.

I lived up to my end of the contract by paying my premiums on time, touting Amica to others to switch over to them. Today (6/11) I get a letter stating they’re dropping me. Why the hell do I pay for Coverage from Amica when it appears the first order of business is to gladly take my premium money only to send me their version of a Dear John letter? I left another because I had faith in Amica. But in the end I’m one person who made the day of some actuarial, computing risk versus revenue and maybe saving Amica a few hundred dollars despite receiving close to $5K a year from me. I tried to look up my daughter's tow claims but found a few, two were for $48.90 each.

Just a month ago they sent me the forms for renewal to keep my "discounts" for my daughter's grades from college, Good Driving discounts etc. Oh by the way my 20 yr old daughter hasn't had an incident since having her license, we've had none in years. Eight tow claims for one car out of Five! Even if the genius actuarial averaged it out based on claims for the other cars that would be 1.6 claims per car. I had $305 in reductions! Not Charges for Merit ratings of all drivers on policy! In my mind someone messed up pretty good, thinking they're saving Amica a few dollars. They also have my house - NO CLAIMS! Thank God. I'm disgusted, very upset and have Zero Faith in Amica. I'll be contacting Mass. AG office and Insurance board especially about the deceptive practice of the Roadside assistance plan.

Updated on 06/12/2018: I was just called by the girl that said she was the one that made the decision not to renew my policy. I asked her; why are you even calling me? She replied she wanted to explain why she made the decision she did. I don't even remember her name, but she said she based it off of the "frequency" of claims made per household, in other words every time my daughter in college called for a jump start, tow etc. (things we were finally able to have figured out and repaired) it counted as a claim on the policy itself! This was something that was never explained to me, I replied; "I'm supposed to tell my daughter in college you have the confidence of Amica being there for you for roadside assistance but don't make too many calls because they'll use it against the household."

She said to me the average person makes a claim once every TEN years! I said, "I guess my family and I of seven are not the average, and, I guess having five cars in a household should up those odds significantly shouldn't it?" I said, "Despite what you're telling me that it isn't about just numbers and statistics and that you were the one responsible for nonrenewal of my policy I guess it is about numbers." I told her she has a lot to learn, she sounds young and in this world it's more than just numbers. Mailing out marketing material stating you're there for people and "it's all about helpfulness" is a crock. I asked her numerous times unless she's calling me to renew my policy I have nothing else to say, her reply was as arrogant as they come; "Well, we did review your policy and decided to hold with the nonrenewal". I said to her, "Thanks, have a nice day!"

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Richard. These decisions are not easy for us, and we understand that you’ve already spoken with someone about your policy. We are sorry we could not meet your insurance needs at this time. Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I currently have Amica & have had it for about 20 years! They are great! They have this payment savings, where you get a month off of a payment & get back a dividend check. However I don't like that they mention you need tow insurance for a tow before you need it! We had 2 cars last year & we are paying the same amount for the insurance as we did for 1 car. But overall, we like our insurance more than dislike. They have been good to us & have treated us fairly well. They respond to you very quickly when you have a problem.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We were with this company for 10 years, 3 cars, plus homeowners, and lately renters. My driving record almost impeccable. They dare to raise our policy in $2,000 in less than a year because my mother had an accident and because I also got involved in an accident, which was absolutely not my fault. I was going to file a claim with the insurance department, but an expert advised us not to bother and just switched to a different company, which we did, for an even better coverage, and half the price. I should have done this a year ago. We would have saved money. No wonder why Amica is not on JD Power's website any longer. They were once, when we enrolled, but they are going down the hill big time.

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support from.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of owning it.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky