2.57/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Amica Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

123 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Our vehicles were flooded in hurricane Harvey. We just joined Amica a year ago, so this was our first auto claim. The adjuster was very kind, and got us the maximum amount he could claim for the damage. Very satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I purchased insurance from Amica for over 10 years, then after my ex-wife and I separated I called to cancel insurance for my ex-wife car and none of the highly incompetent Amica customer service reps could help me, they transferred my calls around, promised to call me back but never did, after 4 or 5 calls and wasted hours dealing with them morons, I ended cancelling my business with Amica and by doing so I saved $400 a year.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have had Amica Auto insurance since 1988 and Homeowners since 1999. I owned my own business for 22 years and dealt with good and bad companies every day. I have never dealt with a more professional and caring company than Amica. I cannot even begin to understand why all these people have had bad things to say. Maybe the percentage is actually low and not enough customers with good experiences review; just the bad that are ticked off.

I've always said you never know how good your insurance company is until they have to pay a claim. Then you find most insurance companies are actually in the business of not paying claims. I have heard horror stories about almost every insurance company out there and how they go to great lengths not to pay a claim. I can honestly say I have never had this problem with Amica, ever.

I live in Colorado home with the most hail in the nation. Hailstorms have ruined my home and cars twice. Amica had a check in my hand so fast, I thought it was a mistake. I literally called to make a claim. The adjuster came out 24hrs later, fairly appraised my homes damage, left, and a check was in my hand in 3 days that covered all the repairs (new roof, siding, deck, windows, paint) with money left over. And even better than that, my rates did not go up more than the industry average in Colorado. They have paid out at least 3 other instances too, in the same manner. Not one of my other neighbors with the same problem came close to the amount Amica paid, or the quickness. In fact, one of my neighbors is still fighting for his money from a huge insurer, 4 years later.

Colorado uses very little salt, mostly sand on its snowy roads. Three times I got behind a sander and my windshield cracked and my paint sand blasted. Same thing. Adjuster came out and appraised my vehicle within 2 days of my call, and I had a check in 3 days for an entire new paint job and windshield, along with all my lights; again, with money left over. They gave me a rental (weekends included) to use. They did not even charge me my $250 deductible either. I expected to pay this, but the Amica rep on the phone told me no, and that falls under their "other than collision coverage" and only charged me the $100 windshield deductible. Once again, my insurance rates did not go up the next year. My windshields on my cars break 1-2x every year and never a problem replacing them.

The one time they did go up is when I flooded my basement because of a hot water heater exploding (I did not ever drain it in 17 years). They paid out over $30k for the repairs and only raised my Homeowners $155/year. We really thought they would understandably drop us after that claim, after so many other claims; but it did not happen. Their rates in Colorado are about the same as everyone else I checked when I shopped around, sometimes only a bit higher, sometimes lower, but the 20-25% check you get back at the beginning of your policy year (for auto and homeowners) makes them far less expensive than any of my friends comparable policies.

I am now currently looking for life insurance as my plan just ended and the rates shot up (I'm in my mid 50's). I will let this forum know how that goes, but so far, it looks good, just no dividends on life insurance. One other caveat. A friend of mine, on my recommendation, called Amica for rates on his home in New York and his rental out here in Colorado. They were way higher than the other rates he got; so maybe you have to live in the right state for the best rates? I don't know. I'll reiterate it again. I have never dealt with any company better than AMICA and I will be with him until I die. Hope this helps give more clarity from all these negative reviews.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I changed my insurance when they keep on increasing the rate, I found much cheaper and better service with GEICO. They (Amica) continued to charge me even after they knew that I refused to renew and keep on harassing me by sending credit collection warning and so on. Please stay away from this company!!! Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I spent over $20,000.00 for a top of the line auto policy for 10 years with these **heads and NEVER filed a claim. Then some chatty blonde bumped the rear of my SUV while talking on her cell. I filed a $1,100 claim with SCAMica. They raised my rates $1,500.00 for THREE years. As with ALL insurance companies, they are ALL POS. I thought SCAMica was a good one. They are as bad as any other insurance company. GFY SCAMica!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I work out of town. I come home for a few days and I am ready get my car repaired. Call my adjuster. He advised me where to go. I called the repair shop and they advise me to bring the car in until Monday because Amica will not pay for rental over the weekend. Sounds like some type of DOI complaint to me or maybe even bad faith but who knows. I will just pay out of pocket and cancel. Too many reviews about Amica not being copacetic.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Yesterday, I gave Amica the 'boot'. Why would I do this after 15+ years being their customer for combined Auto and Homeowner's insurance? The answer is simple, after I explain the background leading up to my decision. Over that span of time, I have paid Amica over $15,000 in auto and home insurance premiums without a single claim. In January this year I had a minor fender-bender when backing out of a parking space at a local supermarket. The total claim value to repair my vehicle and the other person's vehicle was $3,795. I paid the repair shop $1,000 for my deductible, which left Amica with an out-of-pocket cost of $2,795. At that time, I asked if this accident would cause my premium to increase. Verbal responses from Amica were evasive and inconclusive until a few months ago when my monthly bill increased by $47.92 per month. The surcharge period is 3 years.

I am billed 10 out of 12 months per year, so the total claim recovery to Amica is $1,438 (rounded). Results are... Amica's cost is $1,357, my cost is $2,500, including deductible and surcharge. So, after 15+ years, $30K in premiums and $1,357 cost to have me as a customer, Amica's gross profit in me is ≈ 95%. It was easy to find another company to provide better coverage with useful additional benefits and lower deductibles. And, it was long overdue for me to compare. I decided to seek out a local insurance agency that has access to multiple insurance brands and a positive long-standing reputation in the community. Now, I am pleased to deal face-to-face with someone I will get to know and trust; someone that will go to 'bat' for me when I need it. I'm tired of dealing with big Insurance companies and banks that hide behind voice routing and automated digital assistants, and their 'take it or leave it' policies.

Effective today, I'm saving $997 per year for combined auto and homeowner's insurance by an A+ rated Amica competitor. At the same time, I have acquired two friends in business that share many of the same interests in my local community. My departing message to Amica is this... When I called to cancel my policies, the representative I spoke with didn't even ask why. I was not transferred to a loss prevention department or a supervisor to discuss my request. Your representative simply asked me to state one of my policy numbers.

After doing this I was informed, "It's done! Will there be anything else I can help you with?" By this response I knew with certainty that I made the right decision.

I'm an average hard-working consumer. I want to be cared for and appreciated as a customer. I want to engage in open dialogue with someone willing to listen and is empowered to negotiate and make decisions. I might have continued to pay more and stay longer if you had done this for me.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I want to give credit where credit is due. Last month my daughter bottomed out the Audi and ripped the oil pan and transmission. We had just bought the car and have never filed a claim before. Lori at Amica was quick and efficient and took care of us right away. I read about the horror stories about some peoples struggles with their insurance company. My experience was terrific, folks if Lori is any indication of the business philosophy at Amica you can’t go wrong. Thank you.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Horrible, they do not want help their clients. They question everything the client does. They do not return calls nor do they answer emails. They delay delay delay. I am still waiting on answers from my claim yet they had no problems taking my money. HORRIBLE.... run!

Original review: June 30, 2017

Had quote with this company already then they sent me online mail asking me to do online quote again. So that's what I did. Then after filling in all the information they gave me a quote and told me I had so many days to call and accept it. So I called them and after going through the quote again at the end told me that underwriting doesn't insure people with more than 2 at fault accidents. Saying that I told them on the online quote 4 months ago that they had on file of these accidents and also again on second online quote yesterday. Terrible mismanagement of customer service. What a lack of caring. Terrible company.

Original review: June 29, 2017

My August 1, 2017 Renewal Amica Auto Ins. Policy arrived with a 35% increase over last year’s policy. So, I called Amica and got no satisfaction. Then wrote to the CEO of Amica, Mr. Robert DiMuccio. Branch Manager James **, called me about the letter to his CEO. He told me that North Carolina law required Amica to increase my rate, because I had been a licensed driver for 60 years. And that was true, barring the fact that I had not had any accidents or claims, or traffic violations during my driving history.

I never thought that Amica would use my age and not my driving history, to increase my Auto Premium by 35%. It is an unpleasant experience for me to say goodbye to Amica. Parting is not easy for me, after 37 years as an loyal Amica customer. However, it may be required due to my Amica Automobile Policy being increased by 35% for the August 1st Renewal Policy. There have been no claims on my policy. I haven't received any traffic violation tickets since I was a teenager. My automobile is the same vehicle, that has been insured by Amica for past years. The Terms of the Coverage have remained the same over the years. Plus, I am averaging less than 8,000 miles per year driving the insured auto. And it is garaged when I'm not driving it.

My Amica Insurance Policies over the 37 years, have been for Vehicles, Homeowner, Excess Liability, Life Insurance, and Boats. Currently I have Auto, Homeowner, and Excess Liability Policies, in effect. Like most of Amica's customers, my needs for different coverage have evolved over the past 37 years. I do feel that for whatever reason, the Policy Premium increase of 35% is extremely beyond any reasoning. I have been told by an Amica representative that the reason for the excessive increase, is that I have reached the age where I fall into a higher risk group. Please have someone review my automobile coverage and my driving history to remove the 35% increase in my premium for the August 1, 2017 renewal. Amica has afforded me 'peace of mind' over the past 37 years. I would like to continue the relationship, rather than starting a new one.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Hail damage claimed on our roof. First adjuster said no hail damage just wear and tear. Several roofing companies stated otherwise. I am not a roofer, it is quite obvious there is damage. Therefore a second adjuster was request. Second one states there is 'some' hail damage. So they made a small payment, I had a independent adjuster come by and take a look so I can get an unbiased opinion. He stated roof needs to be replaced. So now I had to hire a public adjuster. The moment I did that, Amica notifies me that they will not be able to renew my policy! What shysters!

Apparently, suddenly I am too 'high risk'. However, they forgot to send me an official notice on this, so legally they had to renew my policy. So I went through with the PA, and they hire a law firm for the claim. This is absolutely not appropriate. IF there is no damage I can accept that and move on. But two different adjusters from same company have different opinions, and then when I try to pursue it further, they deny to renew me! People, just stay away.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I called them on a Sunday. They answered with minimum selections. Got a check in the mail as a settlement that day. Picked up the totaled truck the next day at the location it was at and made sure I was OK several times. They have provided excellent service and advised us on the best policy type on 5 cars.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Got hit by a hit and run driver. Minor injury to my back. My claim less than $10,000. After dragging their feet for months they turned me over to some fraud attorney for a statement under oath taken by a court reporter. Needless to say, I cancelled all my insurance with them. I may give them their statement, but I think they are trying to make me look bad somehow. My take: Delay, intimidate, deny. I have nothing to hide. Just irritates the hell out of me. They want tax returns, months of credit card bills, checking accounts, cell phone records. A real nightmare. Consumer friendly? Policyholder friendly? HELL NO!

Original review: May 22, 2017

My policy was CANCELLED after customer loyalty for 27 years. I had a multi-policy, auto and homeowner with Amica for almost 30 years. I started with them in PA in 1990 with an Auto Policy. In 1994, I added a Homeowner's Policy. In 1998, I added an additional vehicle. In 2000, I moved to Florida as a loyal customer using Amica again for my 2 automobile and home. So Amica has been reaping the benefits of my premiums in the thousands of dollars for a multi-car (my husband and I) and homeowners policy for all of these years.

In all of the years with Amica, I always had a spotless driving record; maybe filing 1 claim. In 2015, 2016 I had to a few accident claims. Due to my husband's battle with cancer and finally succumbing to the disease, I did not have the strength to fully investigate some of this unfairness. At times I was treated very poorly by the claims department. I was never warned that my policy could be in jeopardy even after asking that question. It was a shock to get the cancellation letter.

I do realize quite a bit of money was paid out in claims, but to cancel me, a loyal customer for 27 years, is downright despicable...Fair Weather Company. Do NOT use them!! I would choose "NO" stars for this review, but it is not available.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Easy, helpful, great customer service. I love Amica but they're expensive. Even for a small accident claim with no injury, my rates went up a lot.

Original review: May 20, 2017

I was rear-ended by another motorist. I submitted claim by phone, including photos, etc. Amica contacted their (guilty party) insurance co. and authorized repairs to my car right away. Amica proceeded to handle all claims against guilty party in very expeditious way. I received answers every time I called. Their settlement process is efficient and their follow up is great in every way. Top notch, personal response to all contacts.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Amica is a mutual company, they return excess profits as dividends. It belongs to its policyholders and they treat you that way. It varies a bit by state (NJ is better than PA) but I have been with them 27 years and have no intention of switching. They once paid about $13k for the removal of an old oil tank that they didn't really have to pay for according to the policy.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Increased rates. I get automatic car insurance rates every year and I have never had an accident. If anyone has experienced this rate increase every year despite having no accidents could you let me know. It would be appreciated.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Got homeowners and car insurance from Amica. Very professional and very concerned for losses. Had to litigate with other driver and they were helpful every step of the way.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Customer service is excellent and has been for 43 years. Premiums are invested and returns at year end are minimum of 20% every year!

Original review: May 6, 2017

Had several different insurance companies over the years and a few claims. 2 years ago we chose Amica. Few months ago my wife lost her engagement and wedding ring when running errand, felt sick to her stomach about it. We looked everywhere, posted flyers, police report etc. Eventually we filed a claim. Amica handled this very professionally, send out an PI to investigate and take a statement. They had the rings appraised by a third party (based on the GIA certificates). Very soon they paid us the appraised value (a substantial amount, by check) which was the same as our appraisal from 2 years ago and closed the case.

Unfortunately our premium on the HOI went up but we knew that would happen, same practice most insurance companies do after a claim. The rings were insured via a add -on (special rider) to the HOI, for the appraised value. Amica had the best rates. Very pleased with how they handled this case. We will insure the new rings again with Amica (We are in no way sponsored, affiliated or so with Amica, just a honest review).

Original review: April 22, 2017

I don't understand why there are so many one star ratings for Amica Insurance. I have had them for about 20 years and they have been nothing but wonderful. When a tree fell on my garage an adjuster was out in two days and my insurance check was here in two days after that and it was more than fair for the repairs that needed to be done. When I had a small fender bender and ran over a fire hydrant the police told me I didn't have to do anything and two weeks later I got a bill for the fire hydrant for almost $10,000! I called Amica and they were so wonderful, the agent said "Well you did not fill out an accident report" and I told her that the officer told me I didn't have to. She said "Well then we will do it right now."

A week later I got a letter from Amica saying that they were pleased to inform me that the claim had been paid to the water company and I didn't have to pay one penny for that fire hydrant. I will never leave Amica! Another thing that I love about this company is that when you call you get to talk to a real person, not a recording where you press numbers until you go crazy. I would recommend Amica to anyone who is looking for insurance. I have them for my homeowners insurance and for my car insurance and they are awesome.

Original review: April 8, 2017

I have been a customer of Amica for a few years and I was set up on auto pay so there should have not been a problem. Amica changed my information which resulted in them not being able to withdraw. They canceled my insurance. I was so frustrated and to reinstate my policy would cost my 900.00 dollars. Yes that's right 900.00 dollars because they say my insurance has a lapse... I will never use this company again.

Original review: March 14, 2017

DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR ADS!! Essentially this company is composed of thieves and thugs disguised as insurance providers. After I converted my auto and home insurance to Amica and made the payments, they notified us they had changed the terms requiring I insure two sons with driver's licenses addressed at our home. Amica ignored our evidence the sons were at school out of state and had no access to our cars and that our sons legally changed address. Amica billed us over $1,800 without our consent or request for added insurance.

When we switched to GEICO, Amica cancelled our Umbrella policy but did not return our funds. Instead they billed us more stating we owe to insure our sons. The outrage is beyond my comprehension. In addition, Amica billed us for three home policies by email (it went to spam) without our request or consent, and then cancelled all policies for non-payment. We received a letter two days after cancellation. They reinstated the policies, but all three were for more than the original policies and higher than my previous insurer.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I've had Amica for both my auto and car insurance since 2009. In the beginning, I was happy with the service. Since they've advertised on TV, the service has gone downhill and the prices have gone up! I had to call 3 times to get my former car, which I had sold, removed from my policy! I was still being charged the whole time! I asked to speak with a manager, was put on hold only to be told that the bill would remain the same. The rep kept on saying, "You made changes to your policy" when I'd told her three times that the bill was issued before I'd added another vehicle and made changes! I finally did get a manager. I emailed her two times to try to renegotiate a rate and left her a voicemail, none of which were returned! They have the nerve to rave about their customer service? Horrible customer service! Beware!!! I will never recommend Amica!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I obtained Amica Insurance for Home and Auto effective Feb 1, 2017. From Day 1, total miscommunication from various employees at Amica to me. One said this, one said that - emails from them contradicted each other. Cancelled them, effective date February 13th, 2017. In addition, looking on Facebook, not an FB "friend" but rather a semi-public home page from Amica, rep I was working with i.e.: disputes. Found 2 posts on his home page that were extremely vulgar towards Amica customers and to Amica, his employer. I have since reported him to Amica but the bottom line is if one cannot be professional at work and disrespecting his own employer and customers during own time posting semi-public inappropriate posts, the credibility of this company is amiss.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I was an Amica customer for 13 years before I made the best decision to cut those ties and go with another company. Despite never having any accidents, tickets, etc., my auto insurance premiums were always on the high side (I decided to stay with Amica for so long despite the high premiums because my mother claims that they are efficient in sending out appraisers/checks, etc --- I wouldn't know this because I never needed to use my insurance). My most recent premium for the period covering July 2016 to July 2017 was $1,395/year. Note: I am a 29 year old female, my vehicle is a 2011 so not brand new, I drive approximately 15 miles per WEEK, I pay in full, get e-statements, get every discount I am possibly eligible for and as I said, my driving record is impeccable.

This morning I received an email from Amica asking me to take a survey in connection with my "recent policy change." Knowing that I had not made a policy change, I contacted Amica and looked at my online account to see what was going on. Come to find out, Amica had unilaterally made a policy change on my behalf due to my recent move to a different town within the same state, and wanted to charge me an additional $298 for a total yearly premium of $1,693! The person I spoke with claimed that the premium is higher in Milford than in Groton -- I call **. I was absolutely outraged and cancelled my policy immediately after I signed up with Geico, with whom my premium is only $370.90/6 month period, for a yearly premium of $741.80. The kicker is that I am actually getting more coverage with my Geico policy than I was with Amica for about $950 more! This company is a total ripoff and I urge everyone to look elsewhere for insurance.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

About the only things I can say is the value of my policy is great and I had them back in the 80's and they were there for me when I had a claim, the only reason I dropped them back then was I was not driving so I had no car to insure. As for cs after purchasing a new vehicle between the dealer and myself it 4 days and about 20 phone calls to get the binder for my new car.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

Tried to be proactive in deleting a car from my policy. Spoke with a Shawn ** and no bill. Chris ** had me pay in full without discount and sent a change order for another $38 a month later. Spoke to Kate ** and she couldn't figure out the math and sent me to Lola **. It's a three ring circus. Do not use this insurance company.

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.
    • Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support from.
    • Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.
    • No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of owning it.
    • Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.
    • Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.
    Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky