Amica Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Hail damage claimed on our roof. First adjuster said no hail damage just wear and tear. Several roofing companies stated otherwise. I am not a roofer, it is quite obvious there is damage. Therefore a second adjuster was request. Second one states there is 'some' hail damage. So they made a small payment, I had a independent adjuster come by and take a look so I can get an unbiased opinion. He stated roof needs to be replaced. So now I had to hire a public adjuster. The moment I did that, Amica notifies me that they will not be able to renew my policy! What shysters!

Apparently, suddenly I am too 'high risk'. However, they forgot to send me an official notice on this, so legally they had to renew my policy. So I went through with the PA, and they hire a law firm for the claim. This is absolutely not appropriate. IF there is no damage I can accept that and move on. But two different adjusters from same company have different opinions, and then when I try to pursue it further, they deny to renew me! People, just stay away.

I called them on a Sunday. They answered with minimum selections. Got a check in the mail as a settlement that day. Picked up the totaled truck the next day at the location it was at and made sure I was OK several times. They have provided excellent service and advised us on the best policy type on 5 cars.

Got hit by a hit and run driver. Minor injury to my back. My claim less than $10,000. After dragging their feet for months they turned me over to some fraud attorney for a statement under oath taken by a court reporter. Needless to say, I cancelled all my insurance with them. I may give them their statement, but I think they are trying to make me look bad somehow. My take: Delay, intimidate, deny. I have nothing to hide. Just irritates the hell out of me. They want tax returns, months of credit card bills, checking accounts, cell phone records. A real nightmare. Consumer friendly? Policyholder friendly? HELL NO!

My policy was CANCELLED after customer loyalty for 27 years. I had a multi-policy, auto and homeowner with Amica for almost 30 years. I started with them in PA in 1990 with an Auto Policy. In 1994, I added a Homeowner's Policy. In 1998, I added an additional vehicle. In 2000, I moved to Florida as a loyal customer using Amica again for my 2 automobile and home. So Amica has been reaping the benefits of my premiums in the thousands of dollars for a multi-car (my husband and I) and homeowners policy for all of these years.

In all of the years with Amica, I always had a spotless driving record; maybe filing 1 claim. In 2015, 2016 I had to a few accident claims. Due to my husband's battle with cancer and finally succumbing to the disease, I did not have the strength to fully investigate some of this unfairness. At times I was treated very poorly by the claims department. I was never warned that my policy could be in jeopardy even after asking that question. It was a shock to get the cancellation letter.

I do realize quite a bit of money was paid out in claims, but to cancel me, a loyal customer for 27 years, is downright despicable...Fair Weather Company. Do NOT use them!! I would choose "NO" stars for this review, but it is not available.

Easy, helpful, great customer service. I love Amica but they're expensive. Even for a small accident claim with no injury, my rates went up a lot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

I was rear-ended by another motorist. I submitted claim by phone, including photos, etc. Amica contacted their (guilty party) insurance co. and authorized repairs to my car right away. Amica proceeded to handle all claims against guilty party in very expeditious way. I received answers every time I called. Their settlement process is efficient and their follow up is great in every way. Top notch, personal response to all contacts.

Amica is a mutual company, they return excess profits as dividends. It belongs to its policyholders and they treat you that way. It varies a bit by state (NJ is better than PA) but I have been with them 27 years and have no intention of switching. They once paid about $13k for the removal of an old oil tank that they didn't really have to pay for according to the policy.

Increased rates. I get automatic car insurance rates every year and I have never had an accident. If anyone has experienced this rate increase every year despite having no accidents could you let me know. It would be appreciated.

Got homeowners and car insurance from Amica. Very professional and very concerned for losses. Had to litigate with other driver and they were helpful every step of the way.

Customer service is excellent and has been for 43 years. Premiums are invested and returns at year end are minimum of 20% every year!

Had several different insurance companies over the years and a few claims. 2 years ago we chose Amica. Few months ago my wife lost her engagement and wedding ring when running errand, felt sick to her stomach about it. We looked everywhere, posted flyers, police report etc. Eventually we filed a claim. Amica handled this very professionally, send out an PI to investigate and take a statement. They had the rings appraised by a third party (based on the GIA certificates). Very soon they paid us the appraised value (a substantial amount, by check) which was the same as our appraisal from 2 years ago and closed the case.

Unfortunately our premium on the HOI went up but we knew that would happen, same practice most insurance companies do after a claim. The rings were insured via a add -on (special rider) to the HOI, for the appraised value. Amica had the best rates. Very pleased with how they handled this case. We will insure the new rings again with Amica (We are in no way sponsored, affiliated or so with Amica, just a honest review).

I don't understand why there are so many one star ratings for Amica Insurance. I have had them for about 20 years and they have been nothing but wonderful. When a tree fell on my garage an adjuster was out in two days and my insurance check was here in two days after that and it was more than fair for the repairs that needed to be done. When I had a small fender bender and ran over a fire hydrant the police told me I didn't have to do anything and two weeks later I got a bill for the fire hydrant for almost $10,000! I called Amica and they were so wonderful, the agent said "Well you did not fill out an accident report" and I told her that the officer told me I didn't have to. She said "Well then we will do it right now."

A week later I got a letter from Amica saying that they were pleased to inform me that the claim had been paid to the water company and I didn't have to pay one penny for that fire hydrant. I will never leave Amica! Another thing that I love about this company is that when you call you get to talk to a real person, not a recording where you press numbers until you go crazy. I would recommend Amica to anyone who is looking for insurance. I have them for my homeowners insurance and for my car insurance and they are awesome.

I have been a customer of Amica for a few years and I was set up on auto pay so there should have not been a problem. Amica changed my information which resulted in them not being able to withdraw. They canceled my insurance. I was so frustrated and to reinstate my policy would cost my 900.00 dollars. Yes that's right 900.00 dollars because they say my insurance has a lapse... I will never use this company again.

DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR ADS!! Essentially this company is composed of thieves and thugs disguised as insurance providers. After I converted my auto and home insurance to Amica and made the payments, they notified us they had changed the terms requiring I insure two sons with driver's licenses addressed at our home. Amica ignored our evidence the sons were at school out of state and had no access to our cars and that our sons legally changed address. Amica billed us over $1,800 without our consent or request for added insurance.

When we switched to GEICO, Amica cancelled our Umbrella policy but did not return our funds. Instead they billed us more stating we owe to insure our sons. The outrage is beyond my comprehension. In addition, Amica billed us for three home policies by email (it went to spam) without our request or consent, and then cancelled all policies for non-payment. We received a letter two days after cancellation. They reinstated the policies, but all three were for more than the original policies and higher than my previous insurer.

I've had Amica for both my auto and car insurance since 2009. In the beginning, I was happy with the service. Since they've advertised on TV, the service has gone downhill and the prices have gone up! I had to call 3 times to get my former car, which I had sold, removed from my policy! I was still being charged the whole time! I asked to speak with a manager, was put on hold only to be told that the bill would remain the same. The rep kept on saying, "You made changes to your policy" when I'd told her three times that the bill was issued before I'd added another vehicle and made changes! I finally did get a manager. I emailed her two times to try to renegotiate a rate and left her a voicemail, none of which were returned! They have the nerve to rave about their customer service? Horrible customer service! Beware!!! I will never recommend Amica!!!

I obtained Amica Insurance for Home and Auto effective Feb 1, 2017. From Day 1, total miscommunication from various employees at Amica to me. One said this, one said that - emails from them contradicted each other. Cancelled them, effective date February 13th, 2017. In addition, looking on Facebook, not an FB "friend" but rather a semi-public home page from Amica, rep I was working with i.e.: disputes. Found 2 posts on his home page that were extremely vulgar towards Amica customers and to Amica, his employer. I have since reported him to Amica but the bottom line is if one cannot be professional at work and disrespecting his own employer and customers during own time posting semi-public inappropriate posts, the credibility of this company is amiss.

I was an Amica customer for 13 years before I made the best decision to cut those ties and go with another company. Despite never having any accidents, tickets, etc., my auto insurance premiums were always on the high side (I decided to stay with Amica for so long despite the high premiums because my mother claims that they are efficient in sending out appraisers/checks, etc --- I wouldn't know this because I never needed to use my insurance). My most recent premium for the period covering July 2016 to July 2017 was $1,395/year. Note: I am a 29 year old female, my vehicle is a 2011 so not brand new, I drive approximately 15 miles per WEEK, I pay in full, get e-statements, get every discount I am possibly eligible for and as I said, my driving record is impeccable.

This morning I received an email from Amica asking me to take a survey in connection with my "recent policy change." Knowing that I had not made a policy change, I contacted Amica and looked at my online account to see what was going on. Come to find out, Amica had unilaterally made a policy change on my behalf due to my recent move to a different town within the same state, and wanted to charge me an additional $298 for a total yearly premium of $1,693! The person I spoke with claimed that the premium is higher in Milford than in Groton -- I call **. I was absolutely outraged and cancelled my policy immediately after I signed up with Geico, with whom my premium is only $370.90/6 month period, for a yearly premium of $741.80. The kicker is that I am actually getting more coverage with my Geico policy than I was with Amica for about $950 more! This company is a total ripoff and I urge everyone to look elsewhere for insurance.

About the only things I can say is the value of my policy is great and I had them back in the 80's and they were there for me when I had a claim, the only reason I dropped them back then was I was not driving so I had no car to insure. As for cs after purchasing a new vehicle between the dealer and myself it 4 days and about 20 phone calls to get the binder for my new car.

Tried to be proactive in deleting a car from my policy. Spoke with a Shawn ** and no bill. Chris ** had me pay in full without discount and sent a change order for another $38 a month later. Spoke to Kate ** and she couldn't figure out the math and sent me to Lola **. It's a three ring circus. Do not use this insurance company.

Tried to get an over the phone insurance quote from the idiot who answered when I called. He asked inane questions and then could NOT access any information on me. Just a half hour before had talked to another agent from Traveler's who had NO problem quoting me auto and homeowners and was eager to get me away from my current insurer. He claimed they needed an appraisal prior to issuing a policy anyway and that since he could not access my information he would call me right back. We are 3 hours later and NOTHING. So dealing with these people should there be a problem might be a nightmare.

My recommendation - stay away from this company. They spend way too much money on advertisements and way too little on their phone agents. Staying with my current insurer as my mortgage company is happy with them and I am happy with the mortgage company and my current insurer met the rate of Traveler's although dealing with that agent was a pleasure!

I was recently in the hospital and missed my Amica auto insurance bill. They ended up by canceling my policy and in order to reinstate my policy, they wanted to increase my premiums from $2100 a year to over $7000! I am still in shock over this drastic increase. We subsequently went to Travelers and our rate went back to $2100. I am in the process of now cancelling my homeowners policy with Amica.

Today I was charged over $140 dollars to reinstate an auto policy that was canceled in the same month that the premium was due and not paid. I have been a customer for over 30 years having both my house and autos insured with AMICA. What I have learned from this particular event is AMICA is not forgiving for missing a payment. Several months I had an agent misinform me that I had coverage when I did not. When I confronted AMICA, of what this mistake was resolved, however. I believe although it was their mistake it was counted against me.

I was a little nervous signing up with an insurance company that did not have a local office/agent as I was used to. But their I-net rating and premium prices were so good that I took a chance. Then a few months ago we were hit by a terrible hailstorm (baseball size hail), that pummeled our home. Amica had an adjuster there the next day and they covered everything. I did not have to do any work. I just had to agree to their cost estimates, which were more than fair. I was able to get everything fixed or replaced with no hassle. Also, my policies just renewed, and they did not raise my rates. Yeah! Now I am no longer nervous as I know Amica is a good company who will be there if I ever need them again!

A few months back I switched from my long time insurance carrier to Amica for my home/auto package. What a mistake that was. After purchasing a new home I was given a figure of a little over $1000 to insure my new home. Two months later I receive a phone call from Amica telling me they figured incorrectly and my insurance was now going to go up by 30%! It was explained to me that this happened because they completely missed the fact that there is another kitchen in my finished basement. How does a company that is supposed to be so great at what they do miss an entire kitchen? After a long and drawn out conversation with the rep I had no choice but to pay more in what I consider a bait and switch situation. I'm hoping they did not miss the fact my home has a roof and call back later with a higher quote.

I was told that the rate could not be lowered for the home but if I took a good driver course I could get an additional $125-150 off my auto insurance. All I would have to do is take a one day class. Watch how this math works. The one day class for my wife and I would be between $25-50 each. The classes are given during the day, during the week which means time out of work for both of us. How does this save me any money? The answer is quite obvious. I have run a small family business that has been in existence for 68 years. If I make a mistake... I eat it. I would never go back to my client and tell them I missed something that would raise the price 30%. As a result this will be a one year contract. I will be seeking other coverage next year. I was always told the Amica reputation was second to none. Perhaps it used to be but not any longer.

Amica has been my insurance company for home and auto about 10 years. The service I have received has always been excellent. This week I had a flat tire on a back-country road. Amica called within a few minutes of my call with the name and phone number of the company that would be arriving with help. The company's driver kept me informed of when he would arrive and it was all taken care of with ease. The insurance company I was with before dropped my coverage after a small claim (ca. $200). Amica, on the other hand, despite my having had a few claims, has always been helpful, quick to respond and paid out promptly and fairly. Would I recommend Amica to a friend? You betcha! I often have!

I was shopping for car insurance a couple of years ago and was contacted by Amica Insurance. I know they insure more than vehicles, they also insure homeowner policy, renters insurance and many other type of insurance. My only need with them was car insurance and when they contacted me, I had never heard of them and was a bit wary, but as their rates were great, I did sign up with them. If I could I would give them a ten star rating. They do exactly what they say they will do.

I am on a very strict budget waiting a disability claim and I have had to contact them several times and extend the time for my premium to be paid. They have not only complied with my request every time, they are very courteous, professional and really care about their clients. I would recommend this insurance to anyone in need of car insurance, and I would recommend anyone look into their service record as well as their willingness to work with people and change companies. They do not forget they are dealing with people and understand and listen to your concerns. I have had several insurance carriers in the past, and they are without a doubt the best carrier I have ever found to meet my car insurance needs.

So often people in this profession forget the most important thing when dealing with the public. They often treat you as a number not a person. This company is a "people" company and do not forget they are dealing with people that have problems in every day life and often have difficulty and need extensions on their payments. I had an incident just last month when my payment was due, had mechanical problems with my car that had to be fixed and as a result I needed some extra time to pay my car insurance. As they had done in the past, they were courteous, helpful, really concerned and more than happy to work with me and allow me to extend my payment out to a time I could better afford to pay it. We need more insurance companies like this one.

I am definitely not a salesperson, but I hope to make as many people aware that I can that if you need car insurance, homeowners, rental insurance, they are the company you want. It isn't just that they go over and beyond the call of duty to work with you, they do it in such a courteous manner that you feel better just from having to talk to them. I have spoken to several of their representatives and have not found one that does not display the same amount of courtesy and professionalism as any of them. It is so nice to know there are still companies out there that remember they are dealing with people with problems in every day life as the next person. They are very knowledgeable and never fail to give correct information and clear professional kind advise.

I hope any of you in need of insurance needs to contact them and any of you that are not satisfied with the carrier you have will consider calling them and making a switch. You will not regret your decision in doing so. I am new to this site, so I am not sure if I am allowed to give their contact information, however a google search will immediately show you how to get in touch with them. The last call I made I spoke to "Joan" and she was so very helpful I plan to call her supervisor to let him know how extremely helpful she was.

In addition to all the praise mentioned for this company, I would also like to add that despite how busy they are, how many calls they may get or have waiting, when you are on the phone with them you are made to feel as if you are the only customer they have and they do not rush you off the phone. They take the time to listen to every word you say as if you are the most important call they have. So any of you needing car insurance coverage, or just need to change companies, please call Amica Insurance. You will be glad you did.

My wife is driving my car when she got accident in Temecula, CA. I have only liability on my my vehicle because it is 2003 Honda pilot. My wife is not at fault according to the police report. First the other car involved has expired license, not registered vehicle and beat the red light. After exchanged of informations between both parties, the other driver show as proof of insurance with is United Alliance. So right away, informed AMICA and the insurance that other party showed us, so filed a claim to both insurance company. They gave me a claim number and a adjuster to deal with.

At this point my car was towed to the towing yard because I knew that their insurance gonna take care of it. So after two days of waiting for their callback, they said they are waiting for the report.and so I talk to AMICA if they can help me facilitate my claim because it showed that the other party involved have a non existed policy. So I can't claim any damage cost my car. So I ask AMICA that I have uninsured motorist on my policy but they insisted that I am not covered for uninsured motorist. I was frustrated knowingly that I have to pay the towing company $850.00 for 6 days storage and towing services in my car. I WON'T RECOMMEND TO INSURED YOUR PROPERTY HERE. Waste of time and money. Poor customer satisfaction. Hard to deal with.

I was with Amica for 4.5 years. I hadn't been paying enough attention to my rates. When I received my policy in the mail, I realized my rates had gone up more than double in the time I had been insured. I called Amica and the rep politely explained to me that my rate had been raised every renewal period because I wasn't considered a customer in good standing. I asked how they determined that, since I had no tickets, accidents or claims, and had both my car and renter's policies with them. She stated, since I had not been a customer with them for 5 years or more, I wasn't considered a "good" customer yet. I was shocked and argued my position of being claim and ticket free, always paying on time etc. to no avail. She stated she was sorry but that was their policy. Well, their policy immediately lost them a customer and gained them a bad review added to the many others I have read. Bad company, Amica.

Amica was the insurer for the guy who plowed into the back of my car. Based on my experience, I recommend shorting Amica's stock. They gave me the unwelcome choice of either settling with them for well below the value of my car (which was totalled), or taking them to court, which I have neither the time nor the energy to do. Their use of my time was aggravating. They deal with individuals unfairly because they can. I don't believe the Amica agent on my matter (Patty **) was incompetent, but she is either powerless to do anything other than screw over someone like me, or she is extremely dishonest. If she is honest, she would be smart to quit. At least then she might retain some shred of her integrity. Amica has none.

Yes they have good rates, but on any serious accident, they will fight unfairly with any means to screw you out of paying. I'm not sure there is ANY insurance company out there with a "soul" and who will look to do the "right thing", but Amica definitely is NOT a company with a soul. They will sleep with the devil in order to not do the right thing. BUYER BEWARE... Do not be fooled by this company ads! Do not expect them to pay you fairly on anything other than minor claims. Vicious is a word that comes to mind – sly, snake, liars, and vicious are words that come to mind. I have so much documentation on my experience and I will never throw it away. Any of my friends who wants to know about Amica, I pull out my box of records and volunteer to spend about an hour going over the tragic experience with this company. I prove to them what happened to me. My advice -- do not go with Amica for any serious insurance claims!

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.
  • Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support from.
  • Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.
  • No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of owning it.
  • Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.
  • Best for Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Compare Auto Insurance