Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Despite only recently coming on the national stage, many customers have been with Amica for more than two decades. The online-remote model allows for reduced prices, and the company has won awards for customer service and claims response. Customers like the availability of umbrella policies and multi-plan discounts.

PROS

• Ranked No. 1 by JD Power
  • Often allow you to pick your repair shop
  • Convenient online portal for sign up and claims
  • Offers other types of insurance all in one place
  • No depreciation deduction

CONS

• Some customers experienced a rate increase
  • No local agents

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Amica Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I have never written a review for a company of which I am not a customer yet. But I want to share my experience in case you are shopping for a car insurance company that provides excellent claim services. My car (an old BMW) parked in the garage of a shopping mall was hit by a teenage driver who is a customer of Amica. First of all, Amica assigned a dedicated claim service representative (Megan). That's a big plus to me! Have you ever experienced talking to different customer service representatives and had to repeatedly tell your stories? Not the case here. Megan has always been responsive and resolved several issues professionally during the repair process that lasted almost 30 days. For example, when a used part could not be found within a reasonable time frame, Megan immediately approved a new part. I am with another insurance company right now. Will I consider Amica when I renew my insurance? Yes!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Wayne. Thank you for your kind review! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

It baffles me how reps get nasty or haughty. This happened to me on 10/19/2019. Called to change insurance (my decision) and got this awful rep.; told me several blatant lies: It was 4:00 and there were no supervisors there to document a "letter of experience" - it wasn't even 4 o'clock yet. She would submit request and someone hopefully, would get to it on the next business day. A 'letter of experience" take time.

I listened to her babble and then called back. I was connected to Ron **. He was polite and exceptionally well versed while in conversation with me. His knowledge of my situation was above reproach and greatly needed at this time. He accomplished the task at hand and my letter was emailed within 15 minutes. This young man is an primary example of what customer service should be; I'm overjoyed and relieved to know that there are reps, that not only know their job but take pride in what they do. My hat is off to Ron **!!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Perry. Thanks you for taking the time to write this review and providing your feedback. We’ve passed your feedback along. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

AMICA is a little known strictly an online insurance company. "Consumer Reports "consistently rates AMICA number one or number two in the Country. I've been a client for over ten years and have founds their rates extremely competitive, their Customer Service beyond reproach, and their various coverages extensive. One caution though, when I first applied they were very careful to see if I qualified for their policies. In other words, they maintain such good rates and outstanding service by carefully selecting who they will or will not insure.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have been a customer of Amica for over 40 years; first auto insurance when I was 16 on my father's policy (who is also very satisfied lifelong customer). Then after college (I’m a Registered Nurse) I purchased my own policy... First for auto and in 1992 home and auto bundle. The company has always been excellent in every area; customer service, premiums are very reasonable, never felt as though I was being mistreated when filing a claim (in fact just as friendly and considerate when I had to file a claim as when I’m making a payment). I can’t understand all the negative reviews. My house was damaged by fire and heavy soot. Where most companies would have tried to pay to remove soot Amica realized it would have been a terrible house to live in and have been VERY generous in their damage estimates.

This is ongoing now and because there was nothing available to rent long term they are paying for me to live ON THE BEACH! The customer service is amazing. They actually have trouble reaching me at times but are very diligent. Money deposited into my account very quickly and within 2 days if the incident I had 10000 for any incidentals. In fact until I got into condo they paid for hotel and offered to pay for food since there wasn’t a full kitchen. I actually felt guilty and bought my own food. They have given an incredibly generous allowance for me to live while house is built.

To top things off 2 months ago I hit 4 deer and Amica didn’t blink an eye or raise my premium after paying out additional >$3000. Don ** is my General Property Adjuster and was my initial personal representative after the fire. From then until now he has been both professional and kind. During this difficult time I also lost my husband and at the risk of sounding dramatic he and Carla ** were a beam of light going above and beyond, showing kindness as not only employees but people who really care. (As well as everyone I have dealt with.) Were I not a nurse I would love the opportunity to work with this company!

The only possible reason I can come up with for all the negative reviews is that it is human nature to vent about our bad experiences. I noticed after each negative a representative from Amica reached out and I’d be willing to bet there was a resolution afterward... Too bad follow-ups aren’t seen. My email is **. If anyone doubts the validity of this review! Oh... Almost forgot; Amica works with Enservio as well as a company who helps in finding housing and they were amazing as well!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We recently had some work done to our back deck which sits 12 feet of the ground and faces Mt. Washington in NH. Why I mention this anything on this side of the house takes a beating. As a qualification the railing parts alone cost $10,000. In doing the job they discovered Rot which had to be replaced. The bill eventually amounted to $37,000. I filed a claim with Amica who promptly sent an adjuster while the work was being done. The adjuster explained they limit their liability is $10,000 for rot. I received the check fairly quickly. This left me with $17,000 unplanned expenses to cover. So I would tell anybody to be careful of the limitations of the policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Called for a quote to insure two vehicles. 800 FICO score, own my home, steady employment, college degree, and both cars are driven by people in their 60’s. They came in at $2500 more than Geico. Nope.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Paula. We'd be happy to review your quote with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we'll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

My Amica experience: they suck! Here's why: First of all, they send you too much mail; you will see below why/how this becomes a problem. And their customer service is horrible... I was a relatively new Amica customer, and was set up w/ auto-pay of my premium on my credit card. Everything went fine, for a while. Someone got hold of my credit card number, so my credit card company had to close the account and sent me a new card. I called Amica and provided them with the new account details. The day before my payment was due, Amica ran a 'test' charge for $1 (as some companies do), to verify everything was in order. It was. The day my payment was due, they said they attempted the charge and it was not approved. They sent a notice by snail mail. Should I have seen it? Probably, but by this time I had started ignoring their mail because it was excessive and mostly meaningless.

They did NOT attempt to contact me by any other method, such as email or phone, despite the IMPORTANCE OF THIS ISSUE. At some point, I somehow realized they were not getting payments, and looked into it. My credit card company confirmed the $1 test charge, but said no other charge had been attempted by Amica. So, the best I can figure is that IF Amica really attempted the payment, someone screwed up at their end, maybe mis-entering the wrong account number or something, but they refused to admit they had done anything wrong. By the time this all got sorted out, my coverage had lapsed and they were telling me I owed a substantial balance to reinstate coverage! Except that we all know I didn't really HAVE coverage during that time, because if I had filed a claim, they would have denied it for non-payment of premium! Caused by them!

I thought about it, and decided not to reinstate because if they couldn't handle simple payments and notifications, what would it be like if I ever had an actual claim??? I went with them initially because they did have a lot of good reviews/comments online, but things seem to be changing. More recent comments/reviews are not so good, and that was definitely my experience. (Sorry for the long post, but I feel people need to know about Amica...)

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Lisa. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. If you’re interested, please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

One of their insured struck my wife’s vehicle while driving way too fast through a parking lot. My wife was backing out in the opposite direction of the Amica driver who was traveling forward. The Amica driver could clearly see my wife’s car but since they were driving way too fast they were unable to stop in time. It is obvious to me and to all those I have spoken to regarding the incident who was at fault, yet Amica is denying liability so I am out a $500 deductible. I am the sole provider for my family and $500 is a substantial amount of money for us to have to pay out of pocket. It seems to me that Amica is just your typical insurer who denies legitimate claims and is more concerned about their bottom line than they are about doing the right thing.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Brian. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Amica has been a long standing Insurance company who always did right by their policyholders... until they branched out from their home state in particular, into Maine. Maine Amica’s employees lack the integrity and professionalism that it has in other states. It may be the lack of social skills and social interaction and social inadequacy that makes them insensitive and pushy and bullying here in Maine but that’s no excuse for bad treatment and disrespect of its policy holders, those policy holders are paying their salaries, I do believe Maine Amica needs to be educated in common courtesy and reminded of who they work for. Disappointing to watch a once honorable company go downhill simply because of the mentality or lack of, of the employees in one state.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Justin. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I would give zero stars if I could. Let's sum up my experience by saying I made a claim on my auto policy. It has been 2 months and the claim is still open. The representatives are very unresponsive, just the worst customer service ever. I am not someone who writes reviews, I usually just go away - but this company is downright wrong.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Martha. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Not sure about Amica Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor