Call toll free*
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Last updated: May 25, 2018

155 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 25, 2018

Got ad in mail from Amica that I was preselected because of my good driving and just one of 25 people could get that nice offer. Quoted price was more than three times higher than I'm paying now! Are you kidding me? Don't waste your time! More than $300 for two cars per months while my current rate is $130. No, thank you! And yes, I checked several times if I entered something wrong or got much better coverage!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Yuri. We’d be happy to review your quote with you. If you’re interested, please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2018

I must make this a synopsis, b/c I have already spent way too much time dealing with poor customer service from Amica. After being a customer for at least 10 years making regular on time payments for car insurance I find that Amica does not actually support or care for their customers when it comes down to it. In between final payment of previous policy and renewal we experienced mail/billing issues. When I realized we missed two payments (finally receiving a bill) I paid half immediately and waited to pay the rest of the payment ($275.00) two weeks later, after getting paid. I made the final payment to catch up on Feb. 18, online. When I received a bill in mid March for $24.20, I thought it was odd and called to discuss with CS. I was informed at that time that we were cancelled on 2/16 due to non payment. ($275) We had unknowingly been driving around uninsured for over a month!! Without any notification from Amica.

They swear that they sent numerous letters and made phone calls - never received a word! Now I am dealing with 3 MVA suspension fines that they are sorry they can't help me with. I have never had a worse experience with an insurance company. They may claim to be the best in customer service but when it comes down to it, all they care about is money, just like all the rest of insurance companies. I can't imagine if you suddenly fell ill or had to deal with a life event. This was a simple billing/mail issue that I attempted to remedy as soon as I realized the problem. They cancelled us for less than $300 outstanding bill and then never bothered to tell us we were cancelled, but you better believe they notified the MVA!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Heather. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Service is great but pricey. Homeowners claim one time was handled great. Hail damage... Everything replaced. Other companies didn't help neighbors at all. Associates are knowledgeable and helpful. Support is friendly, timely and the staff advocates for the best possible outcome.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Sally. Thank you so much for your kind review! Customer service is our top priority, so we’re thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: May 16, 2018

My parents have been long time customers of Amica auto and home and everything insurance. They recommended Amica Auto Insurance to me as being reliable. My dad is also an avid consumer reports user- Amica is highly rated there. My experience with Amica has been the complete opposite of pleasant. I got into an accident a year ago where a lady hit the left side of my car by driving past a stop sign while I was driving on the main road. Amica paid out for car repairs and I also got my $1000 deductible back from the opposing driver's insurance company. I was deemed not at fault and thought everything was peachy keen- you know because subrogation is now on the insurance company. WRONG. I move to a different state and start shopping around for insurance companies. FYI, Amica does NOT allow employers to hop on as additional insured/interest. So I had no choice but to leave.

I call Amica up again wanting to confirm that they definitely cannot add them as an additional insured and lo and behold they can, BUT they quoted me DOUBLE. The agent said he could not recommend their policy to me despite the quote he just pulled because it is $400/month and he wouldn't even pay that much. So from all of this, I find out that I have a ding on MY record for an accident that Amica clearly documents was not my fault at all and where Amica was supposed to go through the subrogation process to get their payout back from the opposing driver's insurance. I will be on Amica's shoulders making sure that they carry this situation forward to either erase that ding they threw onto my head (which is ruining my ability to get a decent quote from other insurers) OR report them to the insurance consumer governmental database for the state where I was insured.

FYI If you want to see how many claims have been submitted, do the following- Google search: complaint ratio + insurance + state and click on the link for a consumer index for complaints against insurers. See how many times Amica pops up. The state of California also rates insurance companies- Google search for their ratings. Amica needs to deflate its ego a bit and perform to the standards and high reviews it allegedly gets. Reviews, alone, are not enough. Consumers will shop around and will leave you.

If I were you, I would stay away from Amica. They do not provide much support during the claims process- you will be acting as your own claims agent to remind their agents to do their work. They will not keep you updated- again, they expect you to call them constantly. Also stay away from Progressive. If Satan ever had car insurance, it would be Progressive.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Amrit. We’d like to discuss this with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information so that we can have someone get in touch with you? Thank you. -CB

Original review: May 16, 2018

Amica seemed like a great company and we were really happy with their rates... at first. We signed up in July 2016- our homeowner's premiums were $3,149, in 2017 they went to $4,011, and then the renewal we just received was for $5,265- over $2,000 in premium increases in two years with NO CLAIMS FILED. Our auto also went up approximately $400 on the renewal quote for next year. Fortunately I was able to find a reasonable company who apparently doesn't hold everyone else's claims against me- and cancel my policies with Amica. I can't even imagine what my renewals would have looked like if I had ever had to file a claim.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Brianna, thanks for your feedback. We’re always listening at Amica, so we’ve passed your feedback along and wish you all the best in the future. Thank you. – KD

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 15, 2018

Amica is supposed to be the number one in customer service. Well let me tell you they are not. I have had the worse experience with them. I have been recently divorced and Amica refuses to recognize it. In my divorce it says we are responsible for our own insurance. I called Amica and explained the divorce stating that I wanted to separate my insurance. It has been a NIGHTMARE. My ex-husband refused to answer the phone so Amica refused to take me out of the policy. What if he had been in an accident and killed someone? I would be liable for that. I am no longer married and yet they required me to pay for my ex-husband's insurance. They were rude, disrespectful, and downright cruel on the phone with me. I will never recommend Amica to anyone.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We don’t like to hear this, Alice, and we’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your preferred contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: May 10, 2018

Although I've always been very satisfied with Amica and their customer service, their rates just seem to keep going up. I have Auto (4 cars), home and umbrella policy and have recently compared it to other companies and Amica was consistently $1300 more per year vs. 3 other comparable companies. No claims in several years (7+), clean auto record as well. I called to see what could be done and other than raising my deductibles, I was offered no other solution. Best they could say was that if there was an auto claim, original manufacturer parts would be used vs. non-OEM. While that is certainly a value, I can't say it's enough to keep me w/ Amica.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We saw your review, Donna, and have passed your comments along. We appreciate your loyalty over the years and hope to continue our relationship with you. If you’d like to discuss further, please call us at any time. -KD

Original review: May 10, 2018

We purchased a used vehicle from a private owner on February 26, 2018. We had contacted Amica in advance of the purchase to have insurance in place when I registered the vehicle on 2/26/18. The NC DMV never received the FS1 from Amica so they sent a letter in early April. I contacted Amica to have this resent. I received another letter in early May that the registration was suspended because the FS1 had not been received. I have followed up with Amica two times since then. Amica indicated the issue is with the automated system they use to provide the NC DMV with the FS1. On 5/9/18 I provided Amica with an alternate way of submitting the FS1 which I was told they would submit. The NC DMV has not received this FS1 as of 5/10/18. I find this ridiculous.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We don’t like to hear this, John, and we’d like to help. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information so we can have someone get in touch? Thank you. –KD

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 4, 2018

Accident occurred on April 14th. Appraisers initial report was $1800, which anyone with an eye could tell was a lowball. Front end damage with obvious shifting. Our car has been in the shop for a week now with repair estimates of over $7K (I just checked our account on Carwise.com). The car is maybe worth $9500 if someone was feeling generous. The technician and body shop manager stated that it has a bent rail (frame damage) and that they’d advised the appraiser/adjuster of true extent of the damage and new estimate a week ago.

After they notified the appraiser of the new estimate, they didn’t hear back from her for an additional three business days, and now she's ordered another inspection to be done today (bear in mind the revised estimate from last week was $6625) to “make sure that the car isn’t totaled” (the exact words from my claims manager) and is trying to push for the repair. So, we’ve gone from $1800, to $6625, and now $7100. Please explain to me how and why this makes sense to attempt repair at this point. On a subcompact car. That my teen son will be driving.

Other than the initial perfunctory letter acknowledging the claim, not once has Amica asked me if I need anything, how they can help, or shown genuine concern or empathy for our situation. When I’ve called or emailed with questions, I have received marginally polite, yet uninformative replies and circular explanations from my claims manager. The lack of customer care and advocacy is appalling. I called the WA State Insurance Commissioner office today, and the representative that I talked to was very informative and helpful. I have a feeling that I’ll be speaking with them again soon, to file a complaint.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We don’t like to hear this, Amy. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name, claim file number and contact information so we can have someone get in touch? Thank you. –KD

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 28, 2018

Talk about taking forever to get a claim done when you're filing a claim against one of their insured. Different things told to me by different reps. And the adjuster looked at my car for no more than 2 minutes. I kept telling him how my hood shifted to one side now. He told me "oh don't let that fool you. It's just the way the front bumper is now from the impact." I tried to show him that, that's not what I see and then pointed out obvious damage. He ignored me. When I asked if he needed me to lift the hood he said "no there's nothing behind there anyway." Wow. I was actually looking for a different insurance carrier for home and auto and will definitely not be looking into Amica.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tiffany. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information so we can have someone get in touch? Thank you. –KD

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 25, 2018

The first year, my rate went up $126 - and the second year (this year) I received a bill for $519 above that! That is over a 50% increase in just the first two years of having this insurance. I understand rate increases but this is ludicrous! I am looking at my options now. Unfortunately, they know they are one of the few insurers for older homes and are obviously taking advantage of that fact.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Sumi. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information so we can have someone get in touch? Thank you. –KD

Original review: April 20, 2018

We have been with Amica for over 40 years. We have our property and auto insurance with Amica. This week we received a bill with over $1,000 raise in premium in property insurance with no claims for years. Always been happy with Amica's customer service but we are seniors on a fixed income. This raise in our premium brings our property insurance to more than our taxes. We will probably have to find a new insurance co.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Janet, we would like to discuss your concerns with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information so we can have someone get in touch? Thank you. –CB

Original review: April 17, 2018

My son was hit by a Amica insurer and they wanted to total out my son's car and give him 1300 dollars and 818 if he kept the car and wanted to make him get a salvaged title!! He has a 2004 Chevy Impala with new tires, new breaks, new rotors, new radio, new fuel pump, 2yr old transmission, new alternator. They claim I needed proof. When I say new I’m talking about less than 3 months old besides the transmission. If it wasn’t for my son's car being steel it would’ve been really bad and that’s exactly why he had a older car. Yes. We decided to keep the car and get it fix and we will be going after Amica for the repair damages!!! Worse company ever!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tamara, we would like to discuss this claim with you. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information as well as your son’s name and claim number so we can have someone reach out? Thank you. –CB

Original review: March 30, 2018

I have been with Amica for homeowners and auto insurance for several years, and, up until now, they were great. I've not had any claims filed with Amica since I've been with them and no changes in anything else. Just got my auto policy renewal for the coming year and my rates went up $300!!! The reason they gave me when I called was that "everyone is being affected by the rate increases." I understand small annual increases, but $300 for the year!!! Are they insane? This is completely unacceptable for a long-standing client with a clean record. I will be looking elsewhere for my homeowners and auto insurance. Buyer beware.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Karen, we would like to discuss your concerns with you. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information so we can get in touch? Thank you. –KD

Original review: March 30, 2018

I am writing my review to express my disappointment in Amica Insurance in handling an insurance claim. The claim was reported about a month ago... just today I had to call to figure out what was going on with the claim... When I contact their representative, she was very moody and cutthroat and unable to provide solid facts on the claim. Didn’t offer to help and just seemed like she was ready to hang up on me. Some of the statements she made, made no sense whatsoever. Saying a police report will do nothing to help my claim!?!? For this company being in a customer service industry. The experience I had with their team members has been horrible. Just a PSA I’d like to extend to anybody looking for a new policy. Steer clear from these guys.

Amica Auto Insurance response

This is not the experience we want you to have, Eduardo. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Could you please email your contact information and claim number to socialmedia@amica.com so we can reach out? Thank you. –KD

Original review: March 28, 2018

Beware if you have auto collision insurance. I have collision insurance. My vehicle was hit from behind on 3/22/18. I waited 6 days (3/28/18) for Amica's appraisal report before scheduling an appointment for an estimate from the auto body shop. I learned from Amica today, (3/26/18) that my car has not been covered by collision insurance since the date of the accident, 6 days ago, and will not be covered for collision insurance until the repairs are completed. Thus, If I was involved in a second accident during those 6 days, I would have had no collision insurance for that 2nd accident!

I asked Amica to tell me where in my policy that denial of coverage is stated. IT'S NOT THERE. The Amica customer service representative told me: "It's our guideline" and "it's our workflow". She would not give me a written statement regarding Amica's "guideline". Thus Amica has essentially changed the terms of my policy without my knowledge, without communication to me, and without written language of that policy change. I think that must be illegal. It certainly would not hold up in court if I were to sue Amica. I've been a customer for about 8+ years. Not anymore!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi J. We saw your review and would like to discuss your concerns with you directly. Could you please email your contact information and claim number to socialmedia@amica.com so we can reach out? Thank you. –KD

Original review: March 9, 2018

Don't use Amica. They completely messed up my policy and tried to overcharge me for their mistakes. Their representative had me on the phone for an hour working on my policy, and I found out the next week that nothing he told me was true and my policy had been cancelled. Incompetent reps and inflated prices here! Steer clear!

Amica Auto Insurance response

We would like to look into this and discuss your concerns with you, Paula. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information so we can get in touch? Thank you. –CB

Original review: March 3, 2018

After multiple inquiries with customer support, and the resulting disappointing resolution, the following is what I'm compelled to post so to help others to not have the same experience! I've been with Amica for 4 months and it's been a nightmare. Every month my bill increases for incidentals that they forgot to tell me about when I signed up. At this rate my coverage will likely increase 50% in one year! (My monthly premium has increased from $189/mo to $215 in 4 months!). And God help me if I should have a claim. Strongly recommend you look elsewhere - I am!

Updated on 04/05/2018: Last month (3/5/18) I wrote about my dissatisfaction with Amica, and that they keep inching up my monthly policy payment. What started out as $189 and month soon became $210/month. This month Amica again managed to charge me an additional $2.82 more. (So I'll up my payment to $215 for next month - up from the original quoted $189/mo.) The $2.82 increase doesn't seem a lot, but over time it adds up. And it tells me it is Amica's strategy to attract customers with an lower policy payment, then slowly bleed them for more! It also makes me wonder about their integrity should a claim be necessary!

I have spoken with Amica on several occasions about my concerns and I have yet to see resolution. I asked Amica to provide a quote for the same coverage I had at USAA, upon which they claimed to have done for a monthly fee of $189. They then proceeded to charge me additional $17/mo. for a $1M umbrella which should have been include in the original quote as this was a part of my USAA package. Then there was an additional $10 for whatever, as well as $3 fee because I chose to send my payment from my checking account, for which I had no charge at USAA and never alerted to by Amica. Amica's approach makes customers nervous, as there appears to be no end to what Amica surprises are to come!

Amica Auto Insurance response

We saw your review and would like to discuss your concerns with you directly. Could you please email your contact information to socialmedia@amica.com so we can reach out? Thank you. –KD

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This company is a scam. Water heater broke in the unit above us and damaged our ceiling. Claims adjuster from Amica had my wife rearrange her schedule for him to come to our unit and inform us to turn over to our own insurance. Could have told us that over the phone instead of wasting our time. Farmers is a much better option with hardworking and ethical claims adjusters. Neither of which you will get from Amica.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

They are simply the best. They treat people like humans. The claim process was very easy and I had a great experience. No hassles whatsoever. I will never go to another insurance co.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Called Amica to confirm a previous quote and I found out something very interesting. In fact, so interesting that no other insurance company has told me this policy. I own my Cadillac and no tickets or accidents within past five years. Clean driving record and although I own my car I still carry full coverage but do not need to. My car is registered in FL where there is additional property insurance that is included.

Nevertheless, I have been insured with Geico for the past 4 years with FL's minimum Property coverage. Subsequently, Amica advised that if I was not previously insured with the min. $25/$50k they would not insure me. I was shocked! I do not have to carry that amount if I do not want but my quote was for those limits so I cannot imagine why Amica would not insure me based on my previous coverage. If I just had liability at those levels would it still be the same??? I am glad that I called. I am still switching from Geico but definitely not to Amica ever!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Been with Amica for over 5 years. Very supportive and helpful CSR. Was able to get a person 24/7. Maintained communication with me through every phase of my claim process. Wonderful customer service, reasonable prices on insurance and I have comparison shopped even while on this insurance to see if I could get lower premiums elsewhere. Still the best for its money.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I will start by saying this... I believe each insurance company premiums are based on the allowance of insured customers. With this said I am so very pleased that I shopped around and found Amica to be the best insurance quote for my Auto in Colorado. Geico renewal was $400 more than last renewal after being with them 10+ years. No claims... no violations... nothing and I am almost 50 and divorced with a 2017 Cadillac Escalade full coverage and high liability coverages. The yearly cost $4210.00 Geico... Amica $1821.00 a year. How could this be true. Well I believe Amica chooses who is at risk and who is not which keeps their premiums so low... Geico will insure anyone no matter how bad and we all pay for it. Well not anymore. I now think of all the years I paid outlandish money for nothing... Amica is who I will stick with as long as I get the service I deserve!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

AAA was becoming too expensive so I switched to AMICA roadside for 20% of the cost of AAA. Two weeks later our battery died in rural PA in 10 degrees weather. They sent a truck to meet me in a rural area at 10AM on a Sunday. I only had to wait an hour. He gave me a jump & I was on my way. Wow!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Amica is very efficient. Once a claim is called in, they immediately get to work to get adjusters on the scene to evaluate what it would take to get the job fixed. They will even contact the other insurance company on your behalf, if applicable, in an effort to quickly resolve the issue. At times, they will even cover your deductible if liability falls on the other party if the job gets done before the other insurance company cuts the check.

Often times they will complete an inspection before you even realize it. In a personal experience after a collision, our vehicle was towed to a yard for storage in another city. We called our own tow company that was closer to our house to have the repairs down and have the adjuster go to our tow company. To our amazement, Amica adjusters had already inspected our vehicle within two hours of our claim notification. Replacement parts were ordered the same day after inspection. I like the company's willingness to work with their insured.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

One of their customers backed into me. I even have a voicemail from him saying he was the one who dented my car. Claim was submitted, THEIR RULING was 50/50 responsibility. Liars! Guess we are going to court, NC HATES NYers... ha ha ha. AND, he's a fricking attorney... Fun to be had!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My parents had this company and I have also enjoyed them for most of my life. While I have tried others to "Save Money" I have gone back to them because of the way they do business. We have their umbrella policy which actually saves us money but what has sold me is the quality of their staff and promptness of service no matter the claim. They listen to you and always seem like they are on your side. They are the best insurance company in the country, no questions asked and they just pay the claim.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Amica agents send a quote for lower price to sell the policy and send subsequent invoice after 2 to 3 month of selling the policy stating that some discount are not allowed in your case. This is common practice for them, don't waste time and money in this company's policies and please go to better companies like Liberty Mutual or Geico or Allstate.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I received a notice from Amica claiming that %86 of State Farm policy holders would save money if they switched to Amica, so I went ahead and requested a quote online using the lowest possible coverage and the result was shockingly almost DOUBLE what I am paying now to State Farm.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I not a fan of insurance companies but have had AMICA on 3 claims over the last 30 years and could not be more impressed with their company, their warm and prompt customer service, fair premiums and sterling audit reports. I made the mistake recently of going with another insurance company -- Frontline in Florida (BEWARE. Prior to during and after IRMA and upon further investigation of their audits, learned what a poor insurance company means) and regret it. I'm back with AMICA on all properties. A "night and day" experience from FRONTLINE. AMICA gets business by customer referral, FRONTLINE through brokers paid well for it. Figure it out. I should have done my homework.

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support from.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of owning it.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky