2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies.

BOTTOM LINE

Despite only recently coming on the national stage, many customers have been with Amica for more than two decades. The online-remote model allows for reduced prices, and the company has won awards for customer service and claims response. Customers like the availability of umbrella policies and multi-plan discounts.

PROS

• Ranked No. 1 by JD Power
  • Often allow you to pick your repair shop
  • Convenient online portal for sign up and claims
  • Offers other types of insurance all in one place
  • No depreciation deduction

CONS

• Some customers experienced a rate increase
  • No local agents

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Amica Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Over my lifetime I've dealt with several auto insurance companies. Most proved to be horrible when you had an accident or serious violation. In my case, Amica far outshone all other companies when I had a serious accident. They paid me for my car and were right there with many unbelievable services.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're sorry to hear about the damage to your car, Walter, but we're glad we could be there for you to make that time a little easier. Thanks for taking the time to write this kind review, and we hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: July 24, 2020

We have moved 12 times in 26 years and re-evaluated our insurance coverage for auto, home and rental home every time. We stayed with Amica the entire time because with a good driving history they kept our rates the lowest and we know from experience with accidents in the past that they take care of you when you most need it. We have our sons on this coverage, so believe me, we have checked our options as far as value.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thank you for your many years of loyalty, and for taking the time to write this review! We're glad to hear that you've been pleased with your insurance and we hope you have an excellent day!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: June 25, 2020

I’ve used Amica for decades for home, auto, and umbrella. The customer service is great, everyone is professional and friendly, and issues are solved immediately. Their underwriting is pretty strict, so I’ve heard. However, I think that is a good thing. My friend is with a big company that will insure just about anyone. When claims are made, they are bounced around between reps, deal with rude employees, and subjected to long waiting times to get anything done. I told them to switch to Amica!

At times they are more expensive but they also don’t continually raise rates every six months. Like anything, you get what you pay for. I don’t mind paying a small bit extra for superior service and coverage. The one time I had a claim, for hail damage on my roof, it was dealt with quickly. No hassles. The company they recommended did great work. All I can say to Amica is - Please don’t change & become one of those big, cheap, inefficient, and indifferent companies.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thanks for taking the time to write this kind review, Christie! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I have never written a review for a company of which I am not a customer yet. But I want to share my experience in case you are shopping for a car insurance company that provides excellent claim services. My car (an old BMW) parked in the garage of a shopping mall was hit by a teenage driver who is a customer of Amica. First of all, Amica assigned a dedicated claim service representative (Megan). That's a big plus to me! Have you ever experienced talking to different customer service representatives and had to repeatedly tell your stories? Not the case here. Megan has always been responsive and resolved several issues professionally during the repair process that lasted almost 30 days. For example, when a used part could not be found within a reasonable time frame, Megan immediately approved a new part. I am with another insurance company right now. Will I consider Amica when I renew my insurance? Yes!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Wayne. Thank you for your kind review! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

It baffles me how reps get nasty or haughty. This happened to me on 10/19/2019. Called to change insurance (my decision) and got this awful rep.; told me several blatant lies: It was 4:00 and there were no supervisors there to document a "letter of experience" - it wasn't even 4 o'clock yet. She would submit request and someone hopefully, would get to it on the next business day. A 'letter of experience" take time.

I listened to her babble and then called back. I was connected to Ron **. He was polite and exceptionally well versed while in conversation with me. His knowledge of my situation was above reproach and greatly needed at this time. He accomplished the task at hand and my letter was emailed within 15 minutes. This young man is an primary example of what customer service should be; I'm overjoyed and relieved to know that there are reps, that not only know their job but take pride in what they do. My hat is off to Ron **!!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Perry. Thanks you for taking the time to write this review and providing your feedback. We’ve passed your feedback along. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

We've never been more frustrated with a company and their complete lack of response. We've been using Amica for the last 4-5 years (now in the 2nd home we've insured through them) and wow is the customer service lacking!!! Upon moving into our new home in October, we were required to get repair work done in order to make sure our coverage would continue beyond the 1st year. Which we had absolutely no problem doing - and we did have the work done a few months ago. We were asked to submit proof of the work being completed, we which we also did - and in my correspondence I asked that they please confirm 1. That they received our documents and 2. That what we sent was adequate proof of completion - and the repairs were satisfactory to continue coverage.

Well!... Just sent my 3rd email since July 9th asking for confirmation because we still haven't received any notification or confirmation from them. And this is not the first time we've had issues getting them to respond to emails, return calls, or provide accurate information. When we first received quotes for our policy in this house - one person gave us a quote (for the exact same coverage we are now carrying) that was almost $1,000 less than what we are now paying. When I asked about this discrepancy before signing off on any coverage I was told they have no idea why I was given that number and and "sorry" but it's not accurate.

Unfortunately by the time we were made aware of this "mistake" on their end, we were within days of closing and had no time to shop around for new rates. Which means we unfortunately got stuck paying a much higher premium and a higher deductible than first quoted. Can't wait for our policy to end so we can switch to a company that is responsive and actually appreciates our years of business.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kaitlin. We’re sorry to hear you feel this way, and we’d like to discuss your experience with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with you for full name and contact information so we can have a representative get in touch with you? Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have been with Amica for several years. I am a stockholder as all Amica insured are the same. I have an auto policy and a home policy. I am able to call and speak with someone and have my inquiry addressed the first time. I receive dividends. I use those dividends to lower my premium. I am happy with Amica and have no plans to change.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thanks for the kind compliment! We're so pleased to hear that you're happy with your insurance. We hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: July 31, 2020

Hello. I have all my eggs in one basket with Amica. Homeowners policy, Auto, umbrella, and additional coverages for my wife’s jewelry. I have been with Amica for 10 years. They have consistently raised my rates. I had my car stolen and reported a claim. They were dismissive and act as though they could care less. I have top tier coverage yet they would only give me twenty dollars for a rental car. You can’t rent anything for twenty dollars. They act as though I am a suspect. Every time I ask a question they don’t know and have to get back to me. They are not covering the belongings inside the vehicle. That’s considered a different policy which I have but have a 2500.00 deductible. Ugh. I pay approx 7000.00 a year to them for my combined insurance. After this is all over I am switching. Amica is not a good company. They do have polite employees, but the actual service you get is horrible.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kenneth. We don’t like to hear this, and we’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: July 30, 2020

We were loyal customers of Amica for 15 years with our home and auto. We had a house fire and were treated as if we never paid a dime to them. They sent 2 reps to our house to harass us, argued about the value of items in the home for six months. In the end, they refused to pay to replace the roof -- "they said the burned parts could be replaced." It is a metal roof. Overall, they made a very challenging situation so much worse. This was the first and only home claim we had ever made on the house. A year ago we changed insurance companies and left Amica. They recently re-instated our home policy without notifying us, and now we are awaiting a refund on the funds they drew from our account on this reinstatement. I'd say go elsewhere.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kelley. We’d like to look into this and discuss your concerns with you. We’ve passed your review along and will have a representative reach out directly. Thank you.

Original review: July 25, 2020

AMICA is a wonderful insurance provider. I have been insured by them for homeowners and auto for over 30 years. Every contact with them leaves me with a positive impression as to how good they are. Claims processing has been trouble free on the few occasions that I have needed them. They settle claims promptly and painlessly. I recommend them highly.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're glad to hear this, Samuel! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Amica Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This auto insurance company is fairly new but has a reputation for affordable car insurance. The company has an A+ rating for financial strength from AM Best. Customers enjoy several free benefits with every policy, including lock replacement, air bag repair and depreciation protection. Auto insurance is already priced affordably, but customers still can qualify for several discounts.

• Coverage and plans: Amica offers standard insurance options in line with state requirements. It also has optional add-ons, including identity fraud monitoring, full glass coverage and rental coverage.

• Cost: Generally, Amica auto insurance is cheap. A 25-year-old single female can expect to pay about $900 a year, or $75 per month.

• Discounts: Amica has discounts for paperless billing, auto-pay, upfront payments, loyalty, bundling and being claims-free.

• Standout feature: Amica’s Platinum Choice Auto plan bundles some great upgrades, including accident forgiveness, identity fraud monitoring, rental coverage and full glass coverage.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor