2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5

Amica offers auto insurance nationwide, with the exception of Hawaii. The company offers multiple discounts for policyholders, and its coverage includes several perks, such as roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, glass coverage, lock replacement and more. Its office locations are limited.

BOTTOM LINE

Amica has few offices, but it provides car insurance coverage all throughout the U.S., except for in Hawaii. Its many discounts and perks, including roadside assistance and rental car imbursement, can make it an affordable option.

PROS

• Dividend policy options
  • Multiple discounts available
  • Perks include roadside assistance

CONS

• Limited office locations
  • Can be pricey

Top Amica Auto Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

AMICA is a wonderful insurance provider. I have been insured by them for homeowners and auto for over 30 years. Every contact with them leaves me with a positive impression as to how good they are...They settle claims promptly and painlessly. I recommend them highly.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Amica auto insurance?

Amica sells auto coverage for drivers in all states but Hawaii. In addition to car insurance, Amica offers homeowners, life, marine and personal excess insurance. It also provides several discounts, as well as dividend policy options. Its dividend policies return 5% to 20% of the policy premium. Amica also offers some free services, including lock replacement, airbag replacement and glass repair, and it’s received multiple awards from J.D. Power and Associates.

How does Amica auto insurance work?

Amica insurance provides auto insurance policies at two levels:

• Amica’s Basic Service plans provide collision and comprehensive coverage, roadside assistance and limited glass and rental car coverage.
  • Amica’s Platinum Choice includes accident forgiveness, which gives policyholders points for clean driving records, multipolicy coverage and client referrals, then directs the points to lower costs in the event of an accident. Platinum Choice also provides full glass repair coverage, identity fraud monitoring and $5,000 toward rental car coverage.

You can choose between dividend and nondividend policies; dividend policies cost more upfront, but because they repay 5% to 20% of the premium, they can be cheaper overall.

Amica auto insurance rates

Amica doesn’t provide car insurance pricing info on its website. You can request a quote over the phone or online. Many factors affect auto insurance costs, including car type and year, as well as the age, gender and driving history of the driver. The company offers discounts for those who pay in full, choose electronic statements, enroll in autopay and purchase more than one policy from the company. Contact a customer service representative for more information.

Amica Auto Insurance FAQ

Is Amica car insurance expensive?
Amica car insurance can be pricey, but many drivers qualify for discounts. Rates vary based on the individual.
Where is Amica car insurance available?
Amica offers auto coverage nationwide, except for in Hawaii.
Who owns Amica auto insurance?
Amica Mutual Insurance Company owns Amica Auto Insurance; because it’s a mutual insurance company, Amica is also owned by its policyholders.
What does Amica mean?
Amica stands for Automobile Mutual Insurance Company of America.

Is Amica car insurance good?

Amica car insurance is a solid choice for drivers, especially those who prioritize coverage perks like roadside assistance and glass repair. Because Amica doesn’t have many in-person offices throughout the country, most policyholders have to interact with customer service representatives online, which might not appeal to everyone.

Amica Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

Over my lifetime I've dealt with several auto insurance companies. Most proved to be horrible when you had an accident or serious violation. In my case, Amica far outshone all other companies when I had a serious accident. They paid me for my car and were right there with many unbelievable services.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're sorry to hear about the damage to your car, Walter, but we're glad we could be there for you to make that time a little easier. Thanks for taking the time to write this kind review, and we hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: July 25, 2020

AMICA is a wonderful insurance provider. I have been insured by them for homeowners and auto for over 30 years. Every contact with them leaves me with a positive impression as to how good they are. Claims processing has been trouble free on the few occasions that I have needed them. They settle claims promptly and painlessly. I recommend them highly.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're glad to hear this, Samuel! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

We have moved 12 times in 26 years and re-evaluated our insurance coverage for auto, home and rental home every time. We stayed with Amica the entire time because with a good driving history they kept our rates the lowest and we know from experience with accidents in the past that they take care of you when you most need it. We have our sons on this coverage, so believe me, we have checked our options as far as value.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thank you for your many years of loyalty, and for taking the time to write this review! We're glad to hear that you've been pleased with your insurance and we hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: June 25, 2020

I’ve used Amica for decades for home, auto, and umbrella. The customer service is great, everyone is professional and friendly, and issues are solved immediately. Their underwriting is pretty strict, so I’ve heard. However, I think that is a good thing. My friend is with a big company that will insure just about anyone. When claims are made, they are bounced around between reps, deal with rude employees, and subjected to long waiting times to get anything done. I told them to switch to Amica!

At times they are more expensive but they also don’t continually raise rates every six months. Like anything, you get what you pay for. I don’t mind paying a small bit extra for superior service and coverage. The one time I had a claim, for hail damage on my roof, it was dealt with quickly. No hassles. The company they recommended did great work. All I can say to Amica is - Please don’t change & become one of those big, cheap, inefficient, and indifferent companies.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thanks for taking the time to write this kind review, Christie! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I have never written a review for a company of which I am not a customer yet. But I want to share my experience in case you are shopping for a car insurance company that provides excellent claim services. My car (an old BMW) parked in the garage of a shopping mall was hit by a teenage driver who is a customer of Amica. First of all, Amica assigned a dedicated claim service representative (Megan). That's a big plus to me! Have you ever experienced talking to different customer service representatives and had to repeatedly tell your stories? Not the case here. Megan has always been responsive and resolved several issues professionally during the repair process that lasted almost 30 days. For example, when a used part could not be found within a reasonable time frame, Megan immediately approved a new part. I am with another insurance company right now. Will I consider Amica when I renew my insurance? Yes!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Wayne. Thank you for your kind review! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Talk about an abusive relationship! Amica was silent when I asked questions regarding an injury claim, then they persistently harassed me to settle for an unreasonably low amount before providing all bills and records or confirmed treatment was complete. When I tried to figure out why they were forcing a settlement of my ongoing claim, their lawyer made allegations they were admittedly unwilling to substantiate—it was embarrassingly evident they hadn’t even reviewed my claim. After pinpointing their fallacy, Amica wouldn’t even so much as apologize. They just went silent again.

I later made a complaint with the Department of Insurance months later when their harassment picked up again. They responded with a false narrative, citing correspondence that was never received, and conveniently ignored written correspondence actually received. They also told the Department of Insurance that my first-party claim was a third-party claim, just so they could skirt their legal obligation I was calling them out on. Meanwhile, they had pressed on attempting to force a settlement behind my back through the Courts with a conflicted arbitrator, all while misleading me as to the date that arbitration needed to be complete forcing me to lawyer up.

In a separate claim after I was rear ended, I had my car sit at an “Amica preferred shop” for nearly two weeks. In that time, they couldn’t even so much as provide a quote or assess the damage. My Amica adjuster argued it wasn’t a shop of theirs and couldn’t put a work order in, when it was clearly listed on Amica’s website, and the shop confirmed they’re contracted with Amica. Luckily I had a nice loaner, though not at Amica’s expense.

Like most others have reported, after nearly a decade with them, I saw unusually high rate increases. They’re using their increased rates to pay corrupt corporate attorneys to diminish payouts and charming marketing to reel in more unsuspecting victims. What a scam show, especially with that new commercial of theirs claiming they exceed their customer’s standards. I was diagnosed with a concussion by multiple medical professionals and Amica stated there was no medical evidence of a concussion. I must’ve hit my head harder than I thought to continue trusting Amica with my insurance needs as long as I did! I encourage you to take your business elsewhere, as I did.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Brian. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

11/16/2020 was when I made a call to Amica Insurance and ask for a quote for my home and auto. The guy who answers the phone seems to be agitated right from the get-go. I proceeded to ask questions so I can compare my current insurance. He started to belittle me with nasty answers and angry replies. I asked why was he been so rude to me when I just wanted information. He prompts hangs up. I call back and ask the next customer service rep to transfer me to a supervisor and he stated that they are busy and that they will call me back within a couple of minutes. to this time I have not heard from them. I would never do business with these people who tread potential customers horribly. we make companies successful when we the customers are happy, I will spread the word about how bad customer service is with this company.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry to hear this, Gus, and this is not the experience that we want you to have. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

We've never been more frustrated with a company and their complete lack of response. We've been using Amica for the last 4-5 years (now in the 2nd home we've insured through them) and wow is the customer service lacking!!! Upon moving into our new home in October, we were required to get repair work done in order to make sure our coverage would continue beyond the 1st year. Which we had absolutely no problem doing - and we did have the work done a few months ago. We were asked to submit proof of the work being completed, we which we also did - and in my correspondence I asked that they please confirm 1. That they received our documents and 2. That what we sent was adequate proof of completion - and the repairs were satisfactory to continue coverage.

Well!... Just sent my 3rd email since July 9th asking for confirmation because we still haven't received any notification or confirmation from them. And this is not the first time we've had issues getting them to respond to emails, return calls, or provide accurate information. When we first received quotes for our policy in this house - one person gave us a quote (for the exact same coverage we are now carrying) that was almost $1,000 less than what we are now paying. When I asked about this discrepancy before signing off on any coverage I was told they have no idea why I was given that number and and "sorry" but it's not accurate.

Unfortunately by the time we were made aware of this "mistake" on their end, we were within days of closing and had no time to shop around for new rates. Which means we unfortunately got stuck paying a much higher premium and a higher deductible than first quoted. Can't wait for our policy to end so we can switch to a company that is responsive and actually appreciates our years of business.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kaitlin. We’re sorry to hear you feel this way, and we’d like to discuss your experience with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with you for full name and contact information so we can have a representative get in touch with you? Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have been with Amica for several years. I am a stockholder as all Amica insured are the same. I have an auto policy and a home policy. I am able to call and speak with someone and have my inquiry addressed the first time. I receive dividends. I use those dividends to lower my premium. I am happy with Amica and have no plans to change.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thanks for the kind compliment! We're so pleased to hear that you're happy with your insurance. We hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: July 31, 2020

Hello. I have all my eggs in one basket with Amica. Homeowners policy, Auto, umbrella, and additional coverages for my wife’s jewelry. I have been with Amica for 10 years. They have consistently raised my rates. I had my car stolen and reported a claim. They were dismissive and act as though they could care less. I have top tier coverage yet they would only give me twenty dollars for a rental car. You can’t rent anything for twenty dollars. They act as though I am a suspect. Every time I ask a question they don’t know and have to get back to me. They are not covering the belongings inside the vehicle. That’s considered a different policy which I have but have a 2500.00 deductible. Ugh. I pay approx 7000.00 a year to them for my combined insurance. After this is all over I am switching. Amica is not a good company. They do have polite employees, but the actual service you get is horrible.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kenneth. We don’t like to hear this, and we’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Amica Auto Insurance Company Information