Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
1.70/5

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Despite only recently coming on the national stage, many customers have been with Amica for more than two decades. The online-remote model allows for reduced prices, and the company has won awards for customer service and claims response. Customers like the availability of umbrella policies and multi-plan discounts.

PROS

• Ranked No. 1 by JD Power
  • Often allow you to pick your repair shop
  • Convenient online portal for sign up and claims
  • Offers other types of insurance all in one place
  • No depreciation deduction

CONS

• Some customers experienced a rate increase
  • No local agents

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Amica Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

It baffles me how reps get nasty or haughty. This happened to me on 10/19/2019. Called to change insurance (my decision) and got this awful rep.; told me several blatant lies: It was 4:00 and there were no supervisors there to document a "letter of experience" - it wasn't even 4 o'clock yet. She would submit request and someone hopefully, would get to it on the next business day. A 'letter of experience" take time.

I listened to her babble and then called back. I was connected to Ron **. He was polite and exceptionally well versed while in conversation with me. His knowledge of my situation was above reproach and greatly needed at this time. He accomplished the task at hand and my letter was emailed within 15 minutes. This young man is an primary example of what customer service should be; I'm overjoyed and relieved to know that there are reps, that not only know their job but take pride in what they do. My hat is off to Ron **!!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

AMICA is a little known strictly an online insurance company. "Consumer Reports "consistently rates AMICA number one or number two in the Country. I've been a client for over ten years and have founds their rates extremely competitive, their Customer Service beyond reproach, and their various coverages extensive. One caution though, when I first applied they were very careful to see if I qualified for their policies. In other words, they maintain such good rates and outstanding service by carefully selecting who they will or will not insure.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have been a customer of Amica for over 40 years; first auto insurance when I was 16 on my father's policy (who is also very satisfied lifelong customer). Then after college (I’m a Registered Nurse) I purchased my own policy... First for auto and in 1992 home and auto bundle. The company has always been excellent in every area; customer service, premiums are very reasonable, never felt as though I was being mistreated when filing a claim (in fact just as friendly and considerate when I had to file a claim as when I’m making a payment). I can’t understand all the negative reviews. My house was damaged by fire and heavy soot. Where most companies would have tried to pay to remove soot Amica realized it would have been a terrible house to live in and have been VERY generous in their damage estimates.

This is ongoing now and because there was nothing available to rent long term they are paying for me to live ON THE BEACH! The customer service is amazing. They actually have trouble reaching me at times but are very diligent. Money deposited into my account very quickly and within 2 days if the incident I had 10000 for any incidentals. In fact until I got into condo they paid for hotel and offered to pay for food since there wasn’t a full kitchen. I actually felt guilty and bought my own food. They have given an incredibly generous allowance for me to live while house is built.

To top things off 2 months ago I hit 4 deer and Amica didn’t blink an eye or raise my premium after paying out additional >$3000. Don ** is my General Property Adjuster and was my initial personal representative after the fire. From then until now he has been both professional and kind. During this difficult time I also lost my husband and at the risk of sounding dramatic he and Carla ** were a beam of light going above and beyond, showing kindness as not only employees but people who really care. (As well as everyone I have dealt with.) Were I not a nurse I would love the opportunity to work with this company!

The only possible reason I can come up with for all the negative reviews is that it is human nature to vent about our bad experiences. I noticed after each negative a representative from Amica reached out and I’d be willing to bet there was a resolution afterward... Too bad follow-ups aren’t seen. My email is **. If anyone doubts the validity of this review! Oh... Almost forgot; Amica works with Enservio as well as a company who helps in finding housing and they were amazing as well!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We recently had some work done to our back deck which sits 12 feet of the ground and faces Mt. Washington in NH. Why I mention this anything on this side of the house takes a beating. As a qualification the railing parts alone cost $10,000. In doing the job they discovered Rot which had to be replaced. The bill eventually amounted to $37,000. I filed a claim with Amica who promptly sent an adjuster while the work was being done. The adjuster explained they limit their liability is $10,000 for rot. I received the check fairly quickly. This left me with $17,000 unplanned expenses to cover. So I would tell anybody to be careful of the limitations of the policy.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Amica is extremely responsive and professional. My parents were lifelong customers, I and my husband are lifelong customers, and we’ve had to call them on only a rare few occasions compared to how many years we’ve been paying in. They’ve never given us the runaround, and are always extremely helpful and caring.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're so glad to hear that you're pleased with your insurance, Dina! We're proud to provide our customers with the exceptional customer service that they deserve. We hope you have a great day!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

After a great decade with Amica, things got really bad this. For years I have had good home and auto insurance, good customer care, and good rates. In December 2018 they doubled the rates, so I went shopping elsewhere for home insurance. It was hard to leave, but I had no choice. Then in the summer of 2019, my car insurance payment lapsed because the card on line had expired, so they canceled the car insurance without talking to me. So I went to the new home insurance company for auto. In November 2019 I received letters from a debt collector for the auto insurance payments!! Wow. What a change in relationship! Amica isn’t the company it was 10 years. ago.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Rob. We saw your review and we'll have a representative reach out to you directly to discuss this with you. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

I was run off a busy interstate road during heavy rush hour traffic. I have paid my monthly premiums on time for over 30 years. When I called for roadside assistance (another service I pay for) I was informed I should have called 911. In asking for assistance I was transferred to a claims adjuster. Mind you, I’m sitting in a left hand lane, flat tire and an undetermined amount of possible under carriage damage. The claims adjuster verifies pertinent info but proceeds to update my profile info while I’m in total distress in a left hand lane on a busy highway. I need help!! I’m not sitting comfortably at my kitchen table updating my profile!

Thanks to Florida DOT and Highway patrol, my tire is changed and I’m escorted off the interstate to a tire dealer. Otherwise I would still be sitting in the left hand lane in distress trying to answer questions such as do I need a tire change or a tow truck. How could I possibly know! I’m thrown off the road by another car and I’ll I know is I hear a loud pop and thank God I made it to a safe stop! Then I’m turned over to a claims adjuster who is obviously sitting comfortably while I answer a plethora of profile update questions. After 30 plus years....I’m done!!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Teresa. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I came to Amica looking for car insurance. I've had a checkered recent driving history with 3 accident claims in the past 3 years, but I filled all of that information in during the process and they still gave me an amazing quote, far better than any other insurer so far. I just had to call the number to purchase what I thought was an amazing deal.

But when I called the number, the guy I spoke to ran my information and then told me that they couldn't even offer me insurance because of the 3 accidents on my record. WHY DIDN'T IT FLAT DENY ME ONLINE WHEN I PUT IN THE ACCIDENTS IN THE FIRST PLACE? This feels like a classic bait and switch and they just completely wasted my time. I will never even attempt to use this company again in the future. I'd give zero stars if I could.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kevin. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send us an email at socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Clark Howard recommended Amica so I tried them a few times over the past 15 years. First year it would be OK and then you get hit with ridiculous price increases. Just to give a background, I have had Auto insurance for 22 years (with various providers) and not a single claim. Had Home insurance for 15 years (with various providers) and not a single claim. Rental property insurance for 3 years and not a single claim. Last year my Primary Home insurance with Amica is $1900 and when it came to renewal time, it jumped to $3k plus (about 52% increase). Same with the rental property (30% increase). No justification, nothing. We are doing it so we can.

So finally I've decided to switch to another company, before Amica Renewal comes up, where they are covering my Home, Rental Property and Auto for the same amount that Amica is charging for 1 home. Essentially I am saving over $2k just for staying away from Amica. Thank you Amica for finally forcing me to shop around and find someone who cares about the customer.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Prasad. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

During the process of getting a quote from an agent, he asked me if I had any firearms in my house. I replied "What does that have to do with anything?". He said, "We need to determine if you are a responsible gun owner". Who who they to determine if I am a responsible gun owner? That is none of their business and quite frankly, very offensive. That ended the conversation. Makes you wonder what their agenda is.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi John. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Many of our customers own firearms and we feel it is important to understand each individual situation in order to provide the appropriate coverages. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky