Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.54/5

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Despite only recently coming on the national stage, many customers have been with Amica for more than two decades. The online-remote model allows for reduced prices, and the company has won awards for customer service and claims response. Customers like the availability of umbrella policies and multi-plan discounts.

PROS

• Ranked No. 1 by JD Power
  • Often allow you to pick your repair shop
  • Convenient online portal for sign up and claims
  • Offers other types of insurance all in one place
  • No depreciation deduction

CONS

• Some customers experienced a rate increase
  • No local agents

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

231 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have been a customer of Amica for over 40 years; first auto insurance when I was 16 on my father's policy (who is also very satisfied lifelong customer). Then after college (I’m a Registered Nurse) I purchased my own policy... First for auto and in 1992 home and auto bundle. The company has always been excellent in every area; customer service, premiums are very reasonable, never felt as though I was being mistreated when filing a claim (in fact just as friendly and considerate when I had to file a claim as when I’m making a payment). I can’t understand all the negative reviews. My house was damaged by fire and heavy soot. Where most companies would have tried to pay to remove soot Amica realized it would have been a terrible house to live in and have been VERY generous in their damage estimates.

This is ongoing now and because there was nothing available to rent long term they are paying for me to live ON THE BEACH! The customer service is amazing. They actually have trouble reaching me at times but are very diligent. Money deposited into my account very quickly and within 2 days if the incident I had 10000 for any incidentals. In fact until I got into condo they paid for hotel and offered to pay for food since there wasn’t a full kitchen. I actually felt guilty and bought my own food. They have given an incredibly generous allowance for me to live while house is built.

To top things off 2 months ago I hit 4 deer and Amica didn’t blink an eye or raise my premium after paying out additional >$3000. Don ** is my General Property Adjuster and was my initial personal representative after the fire. From then until now he has been both professional and kind. During this difficult time I also lost my husband and at the risk of sounding dramatic he and Carla ** were a beam of light going above and beyond, showing kindness as not only employees but people who really care. (As well as everyone I have dealt with.) Were I not a nurse I would love the opportunity to work with this company!

The only possible reason I can come up with for all the negative reviews is that it is human nature to vent about our bad experiences. I noticed after each negative a representative from Amica reached out and I’d be willing to bet there was a resolution afterward... Too bad follow-ups aren’t seen. My email is **. If anyone doubts the validity of this review! Oh... Almost forgot; Amica works with Enservio as well as a company who helps in finding housing and they were amazing as well!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We recently had some work done to our back deck which sits 12 feet of the ground and faces Mt. Washington in NH. Why I mention this anything on this side of the house takes a beating. As a qualification the railing parts alone cost $10,000. In doing the job they discovered Rot which had to be replaced. The bill eventually amounted to $37,000. I filed a claim with Amica who promptly sent an adjuster while the work was being done. The adjuster explained they limit their liability is $10,000 for rot. I received the check fairly quickly. This left me with $17,000 unplanned expenses to cover. So I would tell anybody to be careful of the limitations of the policy.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Amica is extremely responsive and professional. My parents were lifelong customers, I and my husband are lifelong customers, and we’ve had to call them on only a rare few occasions compared to how many years we’ve been paying in. They’ve never given us the runaround, and are always extremely helpful and caring.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're so glad to hear that you're pleased with your insurance, Dina! We're proud to provide our customers with the exceptional customer service that they deserve. We hope you have a great day!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been an Amica customer for about 30 years. I have gone long periods without filing a claim, and then other times (mainly since my daughter started driving) I have had to file a number of claims, probably 6 in the last 5 years. When I've had auto body work, their vendors have been outstanding. One even drove to my house to pick me up to take me to their location half an hour away so I could get my car on the day promised. I have auto, home and an umbrella policy with them and it would take more than one really negative experience with them to make me change.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thank you for trusting us with your insurance needs, Natalie. We're glad to hear that you've had good experiences with Amica, and we appreciate your kind review!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I currently have Amica & have had it for about 20 years! They are great! They have this payment savings, where you get a month off of a payment & get back a dividend check. However I don't like that they mention you need tow insurance for a tow before you need it! We had 2 cars last year & we are paying the same amount for the insurance as we did for 1 car. But overall, we like our insurance more than dislike. They have been good to us & have treated us fairly well. They respond to you very quickly when you have a problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 15, 2019

I have had this insurance for over 8 years, had only one claim for a minor fender-bender over 5 years ago. Recently, I started to use the road side assistance offered by this insurance company, mind you, I always had this as part of the package but never took advantage of it. All of a sudden I get a letter in the mail that my policy is being dropped, not because I have any accident claims, but because I used the road side assistance 5 times in 3 years. So helping to open your car door or jump your battery is apparently a big crime with them, even though we have 5 cars in our policy and we have not even had a minor fender-bender in the last 4 years! I think it is a Fraudulent company, if they can take payments for our 2 homes and 5 cars for 8 years and turn around and drop me for using your road side assistant without prior warning!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Melody. Please know that we review each policy on a case-by-case basis and these decisions are never easy for us. We understand you spoke with a representative regarding your concerns. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please let us know and we can have a representative reach out to you. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2019

When leasing a new vehicle, I called to add the vehicle to my policy and was told my insurance premiums would be less because of the newer safety features on the vehicle. A month later I received my billing statement and discovered that the premiums went up by $300. I called and was told they were less for that car but apparently there was just a general renewal rate hike. We’ve been customers for since 2003 and have our home and umbrella policies with Amica. No claims, ever. So disappointed. Time to shop around!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Rhonda. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have had Amica for almost a year. I thought they were doing good. I paid my monthly premium and was never late not that matters any way. I had a very bad home invasion where everything in my home was taken of value. The insurance adjuster who came was very nice but asked a lot of questions like for example how I paid for any of my belongings I had and the stuff that was stolen. I don’t know why though because I know what I had and I paid for my stuff. Anyway as the claim process goes I had to speak to a claims specialist. I have never done such before. The person I spoke to name Tamara was beyond rude right from the beginning. Not to mention I’m still very shaken about what happened to me and my home.

Well it’s been nearly 2 months still my claim isn’t resolved and is open. Nobody returns my calls nor reach out to me except to have a this meeting called a sworn statement. Now I assume they are making accusations like I didn’t have my items or something. They made me bring my bank statements, tax returns, even my mom’s obituary which I haven’t looked at since the funeral. I was asked a lot of questions that made me feel like dirt. Then the man asked to play with my phone and log into my Apple account on his computer for some reason then he asked questions about my family and their finances like they’re the ones who got robbed. This is one of the worst experiences I ever encountered.

All of this horrible treatment and for what? Then I found out the adjuster who came to my home took pictures of me after I told him not to. I saw them when I met to do the sworn statement that was being recorded and this process was 4 hours long. Questions after questions and invading my privacy all in my phone and I seriously believe this was because of my race and the adjuster took my picture on purpose to show my race all in the beginning. Run. This company is not a fair place of business. Don’t trust them. Oh and after the man played with my phone it never worked properly again. I had to get another so I don’t know what he did but it’s on tape. They can see what he did but I don’t know. You have been warned!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I’ve been with Amica before for years and was really happy to be on board with them again. The policy offerings are pretty solid and I have a good friend in the insurance industry who had a not at fault accident with them years ago and they went above and beyond for her to make it stress free by taking control of the claim and increasing her rental allowance. I don’t shop insurance on price first, its claims handling first then the most competitively priced in that same category second. I carry $500k CSL which is higher than average and was planning on purchasing an Umbrella. Things were good until recently when I traded in my Volvo for a newer Audi that was purchased for $22k, not an expensive car.

I called Amica a couple of days before making the purchase and provided all the details so that I could find out how it would impact my premium. I was told the impact was going to be about $20 a month or just over $200 annually. That sounded right to me. I previously went from a Toyota Corolla to the Volvo S60 and that was about the difference. I purchase the vehicle and two weeks later, while sitting at a complete rested stop at a traffic light, a young gentleman rear ends me having been distracted and not realizing traffic was stopped. I still have dealer tags on my car, so I take a deep breath as I collect myself. It took a few minutes to pull over so that we could exchange information.

My car being under warranty I call Audi manufacturer line to find out what they recommend in order to ensure the work doesn’t void my warranty and where to go to get the car fixed by their standards. They were awesome! Next, I decide that I really preferred to file under my own policy because I’ve read it front to finish and I’m with Amica for exactly the moment I was in. I have a fairly new car that I just bought, under warranty and I wanted to know I could take it to the right repair shop and have new parts, not used placed into the vehicle. I was hit pretty hard and the car was almost totaled. I felt confident that Amica would live up to the terms of their policy, act in good faith and really get the job done.

I was wrong. They really didn’t want to take control of the claim and tried to pursued me against it. I was confused, told them I would pay the deductible, even if I didn’t get it back (they were saying that was likely) because I wanted my car repaired correctly. This is the worst time to be in an accident and I want the least stressful path forward. I just bought this car and don’t even have the plates yet. Car buying is stressful enough, now this. They were making it sound like Geico was going to try and skirt liability. The kid who hit me was very cooperative so I didn’t think we would have a problem. I called Geico to let them know I needed them to expedite the process as I was wanting to file through my insurer and subrogate. It was a very straightforward case, Geico accepted 100% fault within hours but I then had to get Amica to come to terms with that and pick up the sticks.

Basically the collision shop, Audi and Geico helped me navigate that, getting Amica to accept first party and kick into gear because Amica didn’t want to do it. From there they (Amica) became very adversarial with me, not wanting to help, ignoring my concern about my neck pain, time off work 1 day. They only actually believed me a little on the neck pain after getting the rundown on the damages to me car. They were still the opposite of helpful. My claims adjuster left me an annoyed voicemail about the Audi tech being out sick for 5 days and my refusing to let them 3rd party the major body work on my car to a mechanic that didn’t usually work on Audi’s. I only found out after he was out for 3 days and felt justified in my refusal. She told me I would be responsible out of pocket for the rental car expenditures and anything over.

I work in insurance so I know ultimately how most of this works and knew that thing were out of whack by this point with Amica. I would have been treated much more fairly if I would have gone through Geico as the not at fault party. Instead Amica was treating me exactly as I feared Geico would have. They were treating me like I was not their insured and like I was at fault. So weird!!!! So at this point I have to ask Geico for help. They are the one on the hook for the payout so I let them know about the mechanic and ask them if they are going to give me the business on my out of pocket rental expense seeing as I did delay the repairs by at least 2 days for when the mechanic was out and then maybe some more since they were backed up.

Geico spent a lot of time and care helping me understand the subrogation process and who pays what. They told me the repair shop was ongoing to end up paying for the rental costs for those days I mentioned if it goes over the max they are required to pay by state law. I’m only responsible for anything over 30 days that they actually worked in my car, those 5 days don’t count. I felt so much better. Geico called the shop and my car amazingly was done by the estimated date which was 3-4 weeks. Next big mess up for Amica - I go to pick up my car and I have to pay $1,000 deductible. What? I did all the work for them to get Geico to accept liability in order to not owe my deductible. I have a line of people trying to pick up their car so I just pay it.

Amica admitted that it should have been paid either to me or the shop and they dropped the ball. The eventually EFT me the money. Thank goodness I’m not living paycheck to paycheck. It’s one thing when you know you owe a deductible and another when you were assured that you wouldn’t. Finally with Amica - my insurance has gone up almost $1k annually just because I bought this new car and it’s 5 times the amount they told me when I was crunching the numbers to purchase it. The difference in value between the cars is less than $10k more than the one it was replacing. They told me this is because of how expensive Audi’s are to repair and how long it takes to repair them, BS. They are that but Volvo’s are just as bad.

I was led to believe that Amica is more than comfortable insuring people in the mid to high income bracket so this just doesn’t make sense. They had already hinted at a large rate increase due to the not at fault accident which isn’t legal in Texas but they said rates were just going up. So I get my first EFT since purchasing the vehicle and my monthly payment increased by $73 that’s almost a 50% increase in premium when I have a fairly good driving record, credit and honest dealing on my end. I just want to know what they will do to improve their standards so this doesn’t happen to the next person in my situation. Your claims handling is your product and you shouldn’t treat your insureds like the enemy for loving you so much that they want you to handle the claim.

The one thing Amica certainly didn’t do was handle my claim. I did by fiercely advocating for myself at every turn with the repair shop and Geico ultimately came through and provided me peace of mind that they weren’t going to give us a hard time on the subrogation payments. They use the same shop and repairs and handling were reasonable. They put the repair shop in their place when Amica wouldn’t. Then Amica came in and adjusted up my rate midterm with the excuse that my car is difficult to repair. They were held to the terms of their policy, they had to allow me certain parts and certified Audi repairs but they fought me at every chance.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Lesli. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I started insuring with Amica in 1980 and accepted their consistently higher prices in return for what was definitely better service and courteous, personal service. But Amica seems to be slipping - for example they treated me like a completely new customer when moving from one state to another, requiring a credit report - even though I pay by bank transfer. They failed to collect premiums on one of our rental properties, with a mailed threat of policy termination rather than a phone call; they put the wrong address on forms for landlords policies; and new matters have gone without a response, requiring a call to re-state the original request, among others.

Currently I am in a discussion with John, a manager of theirs who claims Amica "never received" a form I returned in 2013 to obtain an alarm system discount - the manager tried to breeze past my concern about credit for prior years and I have a sinking feeling that despite Amica's recent mistakes, they will claim it was mine. I really want to remain a customer of Amica, there is still a lot they do right. Let's see how they resolve the current matter, I will report back here. And lesson learned: Keep copies of EVERYTHING you send them.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Robert. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I recently quoted insurance w/ Amica. They found one accident where my insurance company found I was not at fault. A comprehensive claim from an accident with a deer. They told me that due to these two, I was higher risk. The rates they quoted higher and limited property damage coverage and medical as well. I don't see much to like about this insurance company. Their dollar limit for a "chargeable" accident is only $500 vs Nationwide @ $1800 whether it's your fault or not. I was looking at moving my cars and house over. I can't imagine the hassle if I actually had a claim. No thank you!

Resolution response: March 29, 2019

The representative called and addressed my concern and fixed the problem. Very helpful.

It is sad that them problem I called about will require I call annually to correct.

Original review: March 28, 2019

There was a day when I thought your customer service was excellent however these days the customer service and response time from your supervisors is sinful. One specifically Nakisha extension **. She does not return the calls of customers with excellent ratings and long tenure. Your management has changed and no longer values their customers.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to us with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 28, 2019

A car (insured by Amica Mutual) hit my car as they did not stop at the stop sign. It was the other driver's fault. I contacted Amica mutual and opened a claim. They came in and estimated the car as total loss. It took few weeks and then offered a very low amount (1980$ for a total loss of a Camry 2005). I talked over the phone to discuss the amount they are offering and the agent advised me to collect proof of all the work I have done in the past 12 months and to do a survey of all the similar cars in the market. I spent over 6 hours to prepare all the documents. The survey of nearby cars took a long time as I had to put together a description of each car I find along with the price and a link to the page. The lowest price I found in the market was 5000$ (out of 11 surveyed cars- which is all I could find).

After three weeks of sending the documents, the agent got back to me and offered an extra 100$ on the top of the price that she initially offered (now offering 2080). They really have no respect for my time and efforts. On the top of that, the agent did not inform me regarding the date I need to return the rental car. I found out later that I am past due and I had to pay out of my pocket. I just hired an attorney to take care of this as the stress they added to my life is unbearable. I would never recommend them to anybody. Really really terrible customer service.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Imad. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 25, 2019

If I could give them no stars, I would! I got into a car accident back in December of 2018 and the claim is STILL open! Not only was this accident not my fault according to the other driver's CONFESSION and the fact that it was written in black and white on the police report but Amica went from being on my side to being totally against me. I was told they were going to go after the other driver's insurance and get a refund for the money paid out to fix the damage on my car. A week later they totally switched side and went in favor of the man who was swerving in and out of lanes and rammed into the front of my car. I was totally liable even though I was in the lane I was supposed to be and he couldn't decide where the heck he wanted to go. They even told me that even if the guy was intoxicated that I would've still been liable. GOOD COMPANY RIGHT?? He probably was drunk and they still won't let me appeal it.

Now, this jerk decided to go after my insurance for a quick payout and Amica keeps giving him more and more money! The guy had NO damage to his car in the first place, now he's pocketing my insurance money and Amica is happily giving him the money. Oh, and his claim has been closed for weeks but they just keep sending him checks! Please do not look into Amica no matter how cheap they are. Pay the money and go with a company that will have your back. I'm VERY disappointed in this company, I've been a customer for 3 years and I will absolutely not be renewing with them anymore!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Breanna. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Ugh. Terrible follow-up. Still trying to figure out what’s going on with a claim from 4 months ago. Premiums are astronomical. I don’t get it. I’m dumb for sticking it out as long as I have. I wish they were as good as they wish they were.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Darren. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Horrible. Don't believe the "we're #1 in customer service" hype. After spending hours on the phone, working through false statements by their agents (like a false claim I'd get a 3 year auto policy tenure credit, when another agent later said I won't), I was ready to give them the business. Then, at the very last minute before my house closing, they claimed I had pets (I don't) and wouldn't issue the policy. I almost lost my new home. I tried to offer a sworn affidavit that I don't have pets, or some other way to resolve it, but they wouldn't budge. It probably started off with some innocent lost in translation problem, but their bone-headedness afterwards was inexcusable, particularly for a company that thinks so highly of themselves regarding service. I will encourage everyone I can to avoid Amica.

Amica Auto Insurance response

After additional review of your account, we recognize there was a misunderstanding and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We thank you for your patience during this matter and welcome you to contact us if you wish to discuss this further.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I had read on several sites that Amica was considered top rated for homeowners or renters insurance. I called to get a quote. The person on the phone, Tracy (she refused to give me her last name for obvious reasons after you read this), was beyond unfriendly and the entire time acted like I was putting her out for asking for a quote. Then to top it off, she started asking the most insane questions that no other renter’s insurance company has ever asked me in my 43 years. Incessant questions about the property and what’s on the property.

#1 I don’t own this property, I’m renting it, so I don’t have answers about the details of its construction and maintenance or even neighborhood features since I just moved here. #2 She then proceeded to tell me that since we had had a homeowner’s claim on our previous home that we owned from a sewage back up, we would most likely be denied. I said, I’ve already called numerous other insurance companies and not a single one said that even after seeing and knowing about the claim. I said, "How can you deny us? We didn’t build the faulty piping, we didn’t hire that awful contractor (the insurance company did) so all the work had to be redone, that was on them, yet you are going to discriminate against us for something that categorically in every way shape or form was not our fault?"

"So if we were in a hurricane flood or a tornado loss or a gas leak fire, all of which would also have nothing to do with us, you would deny us under those circumstances?" Insurance companies may charge higher rates but they don’t deny. They would never be in business if they denied every person with a past claim. She said insurance is a risk business and we’re too high of a risk. Hmmm, Progressive, Geico, Nationwide, and Travelers didn’t seem to think so, She said she would run it by the underwriter and call me tomorrow. Hahahaha. Guess what, no phone call, especially after I asked her name at the end of one of the most disrespectful and insulting conversations I’ve ever had with a salesperson. Good luck getting and keeping customers with yahoos like that on your staff. Thanks Amica, for the glorious education in just how much your company has ZERO integrity in all realms.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kerry. We hate to hear this, and we’d like to discuss your experience with you. We’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I first came to Amica due to recommendations from Clark Howard's website. They offered a VERY attractive annual premium on my auto and the sales lady said I would receive a 20% dividend at the end of the year - more on this later. Anyways, life was good until the term renewal came along. Just like another reviewer here, Mike, I had the same exact experience. Also the dividend was NOT 20% and was only 10%. HALF of what I was promised.

I have maintained an excellent driving record along with my wife and paid all my bills on time to maintain good credit. When I inquired on the increase, they said it was because of all the CLAIMS. I didn't have ANY claims. So just as another reviewer mentioned AMICA will penalize you for OTHER'S claims and not reward you for not having claims, not accruing traffic violations. Bottom line - they will price gouge you. My policy this term for Auto is going up about from annual $4200 to $2800 billed twice a year - so $5600. I am furious and will find other options. AVOID this customer at all costs - and I mean literally.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi James. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to us with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My wife is now 5 hours into the event and it is not nearly over. She had a blowout and it took two hours for the truck to come. Amica said they would have it towed to Pep Boys who would fix it. The tow truck took her to Pep Boys which was CLOSED...not open as Amica said. The truck left her there and my wife has been on the phone for quite a while. The third person at Amica, a supervisor, is trying to find someplace open (at midnight now) and will have it towed there. If not they will tow it to someplace that will be open tomorrow and pay for a hotel tonight. (Which we do appreciate as otherwise she would have to sleep in the car at the repair shop until 7:00 am.)

There seems to be some training problems. One person did not know that the shop would be closed and another did not know how to handle the situation next. It took a manager to get it sorted out...assuming that it WILL be sorted out. We will still have to wait two hours for a tow truck to know how it works out tonight. This is my first call to Amica and I have to say that I'm not impressed. Let's see how the rest of the night goes.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Mike. This is not the experience we want you to have. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Reading the reviews before I purchased renters insurance was a red flag. But I went with Amica because I looked up top rated renters insurance and Amica came up. I had a recent burglary claim, someone came out recorded a statement, my adjuster keeps giving me the runaround, now they want me to meet with their attorney to get drilled under oath, doesn't seem normal... I guess this is how they do ** people.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Andrew. We apologize that you are unsatisfied with your claims experience thus far. Please send an email with your contact information so we may further review the matter. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I was told Amica would jack up my prices after year one. Everyone was correct. Feel like an idiot for not listening. Back to the old Insurance company. They charged me an extra $400 just for homeowners. They said it was because all the claims and the bad weather. WHAT? I didn't have a claim. The company had revenues of over $2.5 Billion last year and profit over 100 Million. And me, a guy that works 3 jobs just to get by, has to pay the increase for OTHERS claims!!! Does that make sense to anyone?? Already talked to them about it and the customer service agent just didn't care!! Truly didn't care. SAD!!! There are enough companies that do what you do, the reason people stay or leave is because of how they are treated!! PERIOD!! Amica needs to figure that out, and quickly!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Randall. We are sorry to hear you feel this way and would like to discuss your concerns further. We’ll have a member of our management team reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I was with Amica for a little over 6 months, I usually pay my insurance premiums every 6 months. I was out of the country for about 3 weeks due to my mom who was admitted in the hospital. Came back and was told my policy was cancelled for non payment. I wanted to reinstate my policy, the premiums went up from $1900.00 to over $5000.00/year. Just because I missed the payment due date, of which I was outside the country. I explained my circumstance but the agent does not want to listen. I have never had an accident or claim. Beware of this company. They are only interested in your money, not your welfare. I currently have my homeowner's insurance with them, I will be cancelling it very soon. I do not recommend this company to anyone, customer service very very poor also.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Simon. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to us with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I originally contacted Amica for a homeowner's policy. While on the phone with the representative, we discussed the benefits of a multi-policy rate (auto & home). The quote for auto was slightly higher than my current insurance (Amica $148 mo vs. Geico $122 mo), however, I was okay with the increase because I was still saving with my homeowner's policy. I provided all vehicle VINs and was given an annual premium for around $1,800 at $148 a month. She advised me that I needed to pay a down payment (first and last month) of $296 to activate the policy. I made the down payment and thought I was all set. Several weeks later I received a call and was advised that I needed to pay additional down payment and my rate was now $2,600!

I am currently waiting to hear back with a resolution. I have spoken to several representatives whom just direct me to someone else. I've left voicemails with the original agent and my call hasn't been returned. I was told that a manager from underwriting would call me yesterday evening, they never did. I've lost all confidence in their customer service, and I'm now worried about my decision to switch my homeowner's policy as well.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Michael. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

FED UP. Once an award winning company Amica is a BLOATED SHELL of its former self. They fish out Customer service and the Towing service to other companies now. I've been a paying client for over a decade. After an accident this past fall they REMOVED our towing and labor coverage, and then NEGLECTED to let us know. This after the agent handling the accident assured us our policy would NOT change. Well it sure did. Sure as Murphy's Law I was stranded with a dead battery a couple of months later in the dead of winter. THEY REFUSED my service unless I paid this 3rd party company for the tow!! When I told them I am covered that is when they informed me know that our towing and labor coverage was removed!!!

Long story short we were stranded for hours until someone we knew was able to get us off the side of the road. Now we've used the service several times each year but if you offer the service and do not allow your clients to use the service -- WHY WOULD YOU OFFER IT!?!? That's BAIT AND SWITCH!!! This company has let greed and apathy (lack of interest, enthusiasm, and concern) become the STANDARD mode of doing business. Several months later, NO RESOLUTION.

As one of their reps conceded on the phone, "It's a numbers game." When I responded "I feel they are treating us like crooks" He responded with "I have Progressive, I recommend you try there if customer service matters to you, And they have better pricing." And that is the only bit of service that I've received from Amica in 2019 that I will take. WE ARE DONE WITH AMICA and their greed! We are looking elsewhere for a company that delivers a better service for a better price.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Steven. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I would rate my experience, so far as a 1 star. AMICA Auto Insurance is behind the times (Lake Oswego Office – Portland, Oregon). Let me set the stage for you... It’s been over 20 work days since the accident and the claim hasn’t moved forward. A customer of AMICA’S pulled out in front of me on my green light as I was entering the intersection, I supplied 15 photos and an Aerial photo of the accident… This is 100% their fault. My insurance company (FARMERS) took my statement the next day on the phone and have made numerous calls to follow-up on me and with AMICA. AMICA has your mail in the information (more delays)... Really, it’s the digital age. In today’s market it’s all about customer service and taking care of the customer. I’ll do a follow-up review with the second half of my experience. CLAIM # **.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Ralph. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to us with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Unfortunately, I was not able to rate 0 the Amico. Amico sent me the advertisement mentioned we are pre-screened for the insurance. Based on the application, I filled the forms online, got a quote and then call Amico to finalize the purchase of the insurance. Suddenly the representative informs me, that our driving record does not fit to Amica policy and they would not be able to provide insurance. It was a surprise since all the information was in the application. So, Amico falsely claims we are pre-screened, sent a false quote and as a result wasted a lot of my time. So, for my experience, worse insurance company I ever deal with.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Just received a mailing that I could save money by switching to Amica. Mailing states on average customers save $593. With that I started my online quote. My current insurance with two vehicles, perfect driving record, no claims, etc...is about $1,400 a year. MY AMICA QUOTE IS $11,048.34! OMG. I thought it was a mistake so I called the number. "Nope, no mistake," she said. "We are a premium insurance co. that will have a higher premium because of it." You can see where this went, Nowhere. Like talking to a wall. Maybe some of you are paying premiums like that. Not me.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Eric. We saw your review and would like to look into this. Would you mind sending an email containing your full name, address and phone number so we can investigate? Thanks. –Andy

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I switched insurance companies when I was near the end of my term with Amica. They sent me a bill for me to renew. When I called them to explain that I switched (My new insurance company must not have contacted them.) While I was waiting for them to get back to me, they put me in collections!!! I now owe them $41. I'm debating about paying it. If they already wrecked my credit rating, I may not. They ruined any chance of my ever having them for an insurance company again.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Jay. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and a representative will reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I was hit by a guy who has Amica Auto Insurance. At the scene I got a video recorded statement of him saying he left his lane and swerved into mine hitting my truck. We had a report done and he gave the Trooper two different stories of what happened. I filed a claim with Amica at the scene. Over a week later and I had not heard anything. Finally after calling 3 times, an appraiser came out and said I would hear something in a day or two. That came and went. I called again and left a voicemail for Hunter ** who was assigned the case. She didn't call back.

I called again the next day and emailed her. She said she could not open a zip file or a Google Drive file to watch the video I recorded at the scene of the driver claiming fault so that was it, a too bad situation. Then she says they haven't decided fault because the policyholder still has not called them back, now over 2 weeks after the crash. What a joke, I have never seen an insurance company treat people like this. I'm so glad I don't have them as my insurance, no telling what would happen...

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Daniel. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I've been an Amica customer for over 3 years and have three policies - homeowners and car in CA and landlord in NJ. I received my auto renewal and the premium increased over $500 for the Feb 2019-2020 period. My husband and I have three cars covered; we are good driving records, filed no claims and drive less than 10K miles total.

I called Amica to find out why the premium increased $500. It was difficult to get someone in the state of CA on the phone. I waited almost three days. The person I spoke to had no clue why the policy increased other than the rate (not set by Amica) for one of the cars increased by $50. I get nominal rate increases but over $500 in 1 year is ridiculous. Underwriting should review their renewals for drivers with good driving records, no claims and multiple policies. I will be leaving Amica and moving all three policies for bad underwriting, expensive policies for good customers and their inability to explain premium increases.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Alesha. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send us an email with your contact information and we’ll have someone contact you directly. Thank you.

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support from.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of owning it.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky