Based on 40 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Last updated: March 9, 2018

139 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 9, 2018

Don't use Amica. They completely messed up my policy and tried to overcharge me for their mistakes. Their representative had me on the phone for an hour working on my policy, and I found out the next week that nothing he told me was true and my policy had been cancelled. Incompetent reps and inflated prices here! Steer clear!

Amica Auto Insurance response

We would like to look into this and discuss your concerns with you, Paula. Could you please email us at with your full name and contact information so we can get in touch? Thank you. –CB

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 3, 2018

After multiple inquiries with customer support, and the resulting disappointing resolution, the following is what I'm compelled to post so to help others to not have the same experience! I've been with Amica for 4 months and it's been a nightmare. Every month my bill increases for incidentals that they forgot to tell me about when I signed up. At this rate my coverage will likely increase 50% in one year! (My monthly premium has increased from $189/mo to $215 in 4 months!). And God help me if I should have a claim. Strongly recommend you look elsewhere - I am!

Amica Auto Insurance response

We saw your review and would like to discuss your concerns with you directly. Could you please email your contact information to so we can reach out? Thank you. –KD

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

This company is a scam. Water heater broke in the unit above us and damaged our ceiling. Claims adjuster from Amica had my wife rearrange her schedule for him to come to our unit and inform us to turn over to our own insurance. Could have told us that over the phone instead of wasting our time. Farmers is a much better option with hardworking and ethical claims adjusters. Neither of which you will get from Amica.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

They are simply the best. They treat people like humans. The claim process was very easy and I had a great experience. No hassles whatsoever. I will never go to another insurance co.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Called Amica to confirm a previous quote and I found out something very interesting. In fact, so interesting that no other insurance company has told me this policy. I own my Cadillac and no tickets or accidents within past five years. Clean driving record and although I own my car I still carry full coverage but do not need to. My car is registered in FL where there is additional property insurance that is included.

Nevertheless, I have been insured with Geico for the past 4 years with FL's minimum Property coverage. Subsequently, Amica advised that if I was not previously insured with the min. $25/$50k they would not insure me. I was shocked! I do not have to carry that amount if I do not want but my quote was for those limits so I cannot imagine why Amica would not insure me based on my previous coverage. If I just had liability at those levels would it still be the same??? I am glad that I called. I am still switching from Geico but definitely not to Amica ever!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Been with Amica for over 5 years. Very supportive and helpful CSR. Was able to get a person 24/7. Maintained communication with me through every phase of my claim process. Wonderful customer service, reasonable prices on insurance and I have comparison shopped even while on this insurance to see if I could get lower premiums elsewhere. Still the best for its money.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I will start by saying this... I believe each insurance company premiums are based on the allowance of insured customers. With this said I am so very pleased that I shopped around and found Amica to be the best insurance quote for my Auto in Colorado. Geico renewal was $400 more than last renewal after being with them 10+ years. No claims... no violations... nothing and I am almost 50 and divorced with a 2017 Cadillac Escalade full coverage and high liability coverages. The yearly cost $4210.00 Geico... Amica $1821.00 a year. How could this be true. Well I believe Amica chooses who is at risk and who is not which keeps their premiums so low... Geico will insure anyone no matter how bad and we all pay for it. Well not anymore. I now think of all the years I paid outlandish money for nothing... Amica is who I will stick with as long as I get the service I deserve!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

AAA was becoming too expensive so I switched to AMICA roadside for 20% of the cost of AAA. Two weeks later our battery died in rural PA in 10 degrees weather. They sent a truck to meet me in a rural area at 10AM on a Sunday. I only had to wait an hour. He gave me a jump & I was on my way. Wow!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Amica is very efficient. Once a claim is called in, they immediately get to work to get adjusters on the scene to evaluate what it would take to get the job fixed. They will even contact the other insurance company on your behalf, if applicable, in an effort to quickly resolve the issue. At times, they will even cover your deductible if liability falls on the other party if the job gets done before the other insurance company cuts the check.

Often times they will complete an inspection before you even realize it. In a personal experience after a collision, our vehicle was towed to a yard for storage in another city. We called our own tow company that was closer to our house to have the repairs down and have the adjuster go to our tow company. To our amazement, Amica adjusters had already inspected our vehicle within two hours of our claim notification. Replacement parts were ordered the same day after inspection. I like the company's willingness to work with their insured.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

One of their customers backed into me. I even have a voicemail from him saying he was the one who dented my car. Claim was submitted, THEIR RULING was 50/50 responsibility. Liars! Guess we are going to court, NC HATES NYers... ha ha ha. AND, he's a fricking attorney... Fun to be had!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My parents had this company and I have also enjoyed them for most of my life. While I have tried others to "Save Money" I have gone back to them because of the way they do business. We have their umbrella policy which actually saves us money but what has sold me is the quality of their staff and promptness of service no matter the claim. They listen to you and always seem like they are on your side. They are the best insurance company in the country, no questions asked and they just pay the claim.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Amica agents send a quote for lower price to sell the policy and send subsequent invoice after 2 to 3 month of selling the policy stating that some discount are not allowed in your case. This is common practice for them, don't waste time and money in this company's policies and please go to better companies like Liberty Mutual or Geico or Allstate.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I received a notice from Amica claiming that %86 of State Farm policy holders would save money if they switched to Amica, so I went ahead and requested a quote online using the lowest possible coverage and the result was shockingly almost DOUBLE what I am paying now to State Farm.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I not a fan of insurance companies but have had AMICA on 3 claims over the last 30 years and could not be more impressed with their company, their warm and prompt customer service, fair premiums and sterling audit reports. I made the mistake recently of going with another insurance company -- Frontline in Florida (BEWARE. Prior to during and after IRMA and upon further investigation of their audits, learned what a poor insurance company means) and regret it. I'm back with AMICA on all properties. A "night and day" experience from FRONTLINE. AMICA gets business by customer referral, FRONTLINE through brokers paid well for it. Figure it out. I should have done my homework.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Amica Auto Insurance helps me understand the need or not need for types of insurance I need and questions are answered quickly. They do not oversell the products and they will be honest and tell what coverage you need. The price for the insurance is fair and I do not feel that I overpay.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Someone who was insured by Amica hit my vehicle on the highway and took off. I had pics of the other vehicle immediately after hitting my vehicle. He has matching damage to his vehicle that I have same measurements height wise and paint color transfer. After ducking me around for literally over a year 13 months to be exact they sent me a 2 sentence letter saying, "Sorry we do not believe our driver hit you and we are not going to pay for the damages." If I could give them a zero star rating I would. I will be sure to let everyone I know about my experience with them and judging by their customer review ratings I can see that I am not the first one to get shafted.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Our vehicles were flooded in hurricane Harvey. We just joined Amica a year ago, so this was our first auto claim. The adjuster was very kind, and got us the maximum amount he could claim for the damage. Very satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I purchased insurance from Amica for over 10 years, then after my ex-wife and I separated I called to cancel insurance for my ex-wife car and none of the highly incompetent Amica customer service reps could help me, they transferred my calls around, promised to call me back but never did, after 4 or 5 calls and wasted hours dealing with them morons, I ended cancelling my business with Amica and by doing so I saved $400 a year.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have had Amica Auto insurance since 1988 and Homeowners since 1999. I owned my own business for 22 years and dealt with good and bad companies every day. I have never dealt with a more professional and caring company than Amica. I cannot even begin to understand why all these people have had bad things to say. Maybe the percentage is actually low and not enough customers with good experiences review; just the bad that are ticked off.

I've always said you never know how good your insurance company is until they have to pay a claim. Then you find most insurance companies are actually in the business of not paying claims. I have heard horror stories about almost every insurance company out there and how they go to great lengths not to pay a claim. I can honestly say I have never had this problem with Amica, ever.

I live in Colorado home with the most hail in the nation. Hailstorms have ruined my home and cars twice. Amica had a check in my hand so fast, I thought it was a mistake. I literally called to make a claim. The adjuster came out 24hrs later, fairly appraised my homes damage, left, and a check was in my hand in 3 days that covered all the repairs (new roof, siding, deck, windows, paint) with money left over. And even better than that, my rates did not go up more than the industry average in Colorado. They have paid out at least 3 other instances too, in the same manner. Not one of my other neighbors with the same problem came close to the amount Amica paid, or the quickness. In fact, one of my neighbors is still fighting for his money from a huge insurer, 4 years later.

Colorado uses very little salt, mostly sand on its snowy roads. Three times I got behind a sander and my windshield cracked and my paint sand blasted. Same thing. Adjuster came out and appraised my vehicle within 2 days of my call, and I had a check in 3 days for an entire new paint job and windshield, along with all my lights; again, with money left over. They gave me a rental (weekends included) to use. They did not even charge me my $250 deductible either. I expected to pay this, but the Amica rep on the phone told me no, and that falls under their "other than collision coverage" and only charged me the $100 windshield deductible. Once again, my insurance rates did not go up the next year. My windshields on my cars break 1-2x every year and never a problem replacing them.

The one time they did go up is when I flooded my basement because of a hot water heater exploding (I did not ever drain it in 17 years). They paid out over $30k for the repairs and only raised my Homeowners $155/year. We really thought they would understandably drop us after that claim, after so many other claims; but it did not happen. Their rates in Colorado are about the same as everyone else I checked when I shopped around, sometimes only a bit higher, sometimes lower, but the 20-25% check you get back at the beginning of your policy year (for auto and homeowners) makes them far less expensive than any of my friends comparable policies.

I am now currently looking for life insurance as my plan just ended and the rates shot up (I'm in my mid 50's). I will let this forum know how that goes, but so far, it looks good, just no dividends on life insurance. One other caveat. A friend of mine, on my recommendation, called Amica for rates on his home in New York and his rental out here in Colorado. They were way higher than the other rates he got; so maybe you have to live in the right state for the best rates? I don't know. I'll reiterate it again. I have never dealt with any company better than AMICA and I will be with him until I die. Hope this helps give more clarity from all these negative reviews.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I changed my insurance when they keep on increasing the rate, I found much cheaper and better service with GEICO. They (Amica) continued to charge me even after they knew that I refused to renew and keep on harassing me by sending credit collection warning and so on. Please stay away from this company!!! Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I spent over $20,000.00 for a top of the line auto policy for 10 years with these **heads and NEVER filed a claim. Then some chatty blonde bumped the rear of my SUV while talking on her cell. I filed a $1,100 claim with SCAMica. They raised my rates $1,500.00 for THREE years. As with ALL insurance companies, they are ALL POS. I thought SCAMica was a good one. They are as bad as any other insurance company. GFY SCAMica!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I work out of town. I come home for a few days and I am ready get my car repaired. Call my adjuster. He advised me where to go. I called the repair shop and they advise me to bring the car in until Monday because Amica will not pay for rental over the weekend. Sounds like some type of DOI complaint to me or maybe even bad faith but who knows. I will just pay out of pocket and cancel. Too many reviews about Amica not being copacetic.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

Yesterday, I gave Amica the 'boot'. Why would I do this after 15+ years being their customer for combined Auto and Homeowner's insurance? The answer is simple, after I explain the background leading up to my decision. Over that span of time, I have paid Amica over $15,000 in auto and home insurance premiums without a single claim. In January this year I had a minor fender-bender when backing out of a parking space at a local supermarket. The total claim value to repair my vehicle and the other person's vehicle was $3,795. I paid the repair shop $1,000 for my deductible, which left Amica with an out-of-pocket cost of $2,795. At that time, I asked if this accident would cause my premium to increase. Verbal responses from Amica were evasive and inconclusive until a few months ago when my monthly bill increased by $47.92 per month. The surcharge period is 3 years.

I am billed 10 out of 12 months per year, so the total claim recovery to Amica is $1,438 (rounded). Results are... Amica's cost is $1,357, my cost is $2,500, including deductible and surcharge. So, after 15+ years, $30K in premiums and $1,357 cost to have me as a customer, Amica's gross profit in me is ≈ 95%. It was easy to find another company to provide better coverage with useful additional benefits and lower deductibles. And, it was long overdue for me to compare. I decided to seek out a local insurance agency that has access to multiple insurance brands and a positive long-standing reputation in the community. Now, I am pleased to deal face-to-face with someone I will get to know and trust; someone that will go to 'bat' for me when I need it. I'm tired of dealing with big Insurance companies and banks that hide behind voice routing and automated digital assistants, and their 'take it or leave it' policies.

Effective today, I'm saving $997 per year for combined auto and homeowner's insurance by an A+ rated Amica competitor. At the same time, I have acquired two friends in business that share many of the same interests in my local community. My departing message to Amica is this... When I called to cancel my policies, the representative I spoke with didn't even ask why. I was not transferred to a loss prevention department or a supervisor to discuss my request. Your representative simply asked me to state one of my policy numbers.

After doing this I was informed, "It's done! Will there be anything else I can help you with?" By this response I knew with certainty that I made the right decision.

I'm an average hard-working consumer. I want to be cared for and appreciated as a customer. I want to engage in open dialogue with someone willing to listen and is empowered to negotiate and make decisions. I might have continued to pay more and stay longer if you had done this for me.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I want to give credit where credit is due. Last month my daughter bottomed out the Audi and ripped the oil pan and transmission. We had just bought the car and have never filed a claim before. Lori at Amica was quick and efficient and took care of us right away. I read about the horror stories about some peoples struggles with their insurance company. My experience was terrific, folks if Lori is any indication of the business philosophy at Amica you can’t go wrong. Thank you.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Horrible, they do not want help their clients. They question everything the client does. They do not return calls nor do they answer emails. They delay delay delay. I am still waiting on answers from my claim yet they had no problems taking my money. HORRIBLE.... run!

Original review: June 30, 2017

Had quote with this company already then they sent me online mail asking me to do online quote again. So that's what I did. Then after filling in all the information they gave me a quote and told me I had so many days to call and accept it. So I called them and after going through the quote again at the end told me that underwriting doesn't insure people with more than 2 at fault accidents. Saying that I told them on the online quote 4 months ago that they had on file of these accidents and also again on second online quote yesterday. Terrible mismanagement of customer service. What a lack of caring. Terrible company.

Original review: June 29, 2017

My August 1, 2017 Renewal Amica Auto Ins. Policy arrived with a 35% increase over last year’s policy. So, I called Amica and got no satisfaction. Then wrote to the CEO of Amica, Mr. Robert DiMuccio. Branch Manager James **, called me about the letter to his CEO. He told me that North Carolina law required Amica to increase my rate, because I had been a licensed driver for 60 years. And that was true, barring the fact that I had not had any accidents or claims, or traffic violations during my driving history.

I never thought that Amica would use my age and not my driving history, to increase my Auto Premium by 35%. It is an unpleasant experience for me to say goodbye to Amica. Parting is not easy for me, after 37 years as an loyal Amica customer. However, it may be required due to my Amica Automobile Policy being increased by 35% for the August 1st Renewal Policy. There have been no claims on my policy. I haven't received any traffic violation tickets since I was a teenager. My automobile is the same vehicle, that has been insured by Amica for past years. The Terms of the Coverage have remained the same over the years. Plus, I am averaging less than 8,000 miles per year driving the insured auto. And it is garaged when I'm not driving it.

My Amica Insurance Policies over the 37 years, have been for Vehicles, Homeowner, Excess Liability, Life Insurance, and Boats. Currently I have Auto, Homeowner, and Excess Liability Policies, in effect. Like most of Amica's customers, my needs for different coverage have evolved over the past 37 years. I do feel that for whatever reason, the Policy Premium increase of 35% is extremely beyond any reasoning. I have been told by an Amica representative that the reason for the excessive increase, is that I have reached the age where I fall into a higher risk group. Please have someone review my automobile coverage and my driving history to remove the 35% increase in my premium for the August 1, 2017 renewal. Amica has afforded me 'peace of mind' over the past 37 years. I would like to continue the relationship, rather than starting a new one.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Hail damage claimed on our roof. First adjuster said no hail damage just wear and tear. Several roofing companies stated otherwise. I am not a roofer, it is quite obvious there is damage. Therefore a second adjuster was request. Second one states there is 'some' hail damage. So they made a small payment, I had a independent adjuster come by and take a look so I can get an unbiased opinion. He stated roof needs to be replaced. So now I had to hire a public adjuster. The moment I did that, Amica notifies me that they will not be able to renew my policy! What shysters!

Apparently, suddenly I am too 'high risk'. However, they forgot to send me an official notice on this, so legally they had to renew my policy. So I went through with the PA, and they hire a law firm for the claim. This is absolutely not appropriate. IF there is no damage I can accept that and move on. But two different adjusters from same company have different opinions, and then when I try to pursue it further, they deny to renew me! People, just stay away.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I called them on a Sunday. They answered with minimum selections. Got a check in the mail as a settlement that day. Picked up the totaled truck the next day at the location it was at and made sure I was OK several times. They have provided excellent service and advised us on the best policy type on 5 cars.

Original review: May 25, 2017

Got hit by a hit and run driver. Minor injury to my back. My claim less than $10,000. After dragging their feet for months they turned me over to some fraud attorney for a statement under oath taken by a court reporter. Needless to say, I cancelled all my insurance with them. I may give them their statement, but I think they are trying to make me look bad somehow. My take: Delay, intimidate, deny. I have nothing to hide. Just irritates the hell out of me. They want tax returns, months of credit card bills, checking accounts, cell phone records. A real nightmare. Consumer friendly? Policyholder friendly? HELL NO!

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support from.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of owning it.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

Amica Auto Insurance Company Information

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Let's talk

ConsumerAffairs ranks 562 on Inc. 5000 for 2017

Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.

The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.