Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.54/5

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Despite only recently coming on the national stage, many customers have been with Amica for more than two decades. The online-remote model allows for reduced prices, and the company has won awards for customer service and claims response. Customers like the availability of umbrella policies and multi-plan discounts.

PROS

• Ranked No. 1 by JD Power
  • Often allow you to pick your repair shop
  • Convenient online portal for sign up and claims
  • Offers other types of insurance all in one place
  • No depreciation deduction

CONS

• Some customers experienced a rate increase
  • No local agents

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Amica Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I have never written a review for a company of which I am not a customer yet. But I want to share my experience in case you are shopping for a car insurance company that provides excellent claim services. My car (an old BMW) parked in the garage of a shopping mall was hit by a teenage driver who is a customer of Amica. First of all, Amica assigned a dedicated claim service representative (Megan). That's a big plus to me! Have you ever experienced talking to different customer service representatives and had to repeatedly tell your stories? Not the case here. Megan has always been responsive and resolved several issues professionally during the repair process that lasted almost 30 days. For example, when a used part could not be found within a reasonable time frame, Megan immediately approved a new part. I am with another insurance company right now. Will I consider Amica when I renew my insurance? Yes!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Wayne. Thank you for your kind review! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

It baffles me how reps get nasty or haughty. This happened to me on 10/19/2019. Called to change insurance (my decision) and got this awful rep.; told me several blatant lies: It was 4:00 and there were no supervisors there to document a "letter of experience" - it wasn't even 4 o'clock yet. She would submit request and someone hopefully, would get to it on the next business day. A 'letter of experience" take time.

I listened to her babble and then called back. I was connected to Ron **. He was polite and exceptionally well versed while in conversation with me. His knowledge of my situation was above reproach and greatly needed at this time. He accomplished the task at hand and my letter was emailed within 15 minutes. This young man is an primary example of what customer service should be; I'm overjoyed and relieved to know that there are reps, that not only know their job but take pride in what they do. My hat is off to Ron **!!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Perry. Thanks you for taking the time to write this review and providing your feedback. We’ve passed your feedback along. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

AMICA is a little known strictly an online insurance company. "Consumer Reports "consistently rates AMICA number one or number two in the Country. I've been a client for over ten years and have founds their rates extremely competitive, their Customer Service beyond reproach, and their various coverages extensive. One caution though, when I first applied they were very careful to see if I qualified for their policies. In other words, they maintain such good rates and outstanding service by carefully selecting who they will or will not insure.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I have switched car insurance and now I've been with Amica the longest. Love everything. The rates, customer service. I receive good advice through my email. I provided them holiday cards reminders. Roadside service is great. The other offers I do not need yet.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 20, 2020

I have been with Amica 5 years and Amica has never paid out on a claim. On this year's premium, 2020, they have increased my premium 36%, the highest that the insurance regulators for Colorado will allow. When I asked why they did this, I was told, "We can do whatever we want."

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Candace. We understand that you’ve had ongoing discussions with the manager of our Denver office regarding your concerns. If you have any outstanding questions or worries, we encourage you to contact them directly so they may be able to assist you. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: March 7, 2020

I've been a customer of Amica for almost 40 years, during which time I've purchased auto, homeowners and liability insurance and never once have been late with a payment. Last month the Amica invoice was delayed in getting to me because of a change to my address, and my payment arrived a few days beyond the due date. Immediately thereafter I received a terse, threatening and uncompromising letter stating that my insurance was scheduled to be cancelled. I would have expected that after 40 years without missing a payment they might have instead sent me a reminder that my payment was late, rather than a cancellation notice. It was very insulting and crude on their part, so I've reached out to a local agent who informs me that he can provide even better coverage at an annual savings of $900. Needless to say I'm switching. My recommendation is that you steer clear of Amica, they are over priced and uncaring towards their customers.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Richard. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please email socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Insured with them since 2007. After changing policy terms from 12 to 6 months, they're now able to increase rates exponentially and more frequently. Reason? Claims have gone up in Texas and they have to adjust for their losses. I've never had a claim and not so much as a traffic violation. Nice one Amica. You'll soon be history with me. Why only good reviews elsewhere? Because they're likely not legit.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Victoria. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Amica is my insurance company (they won't be once this is over with) and I was rear-ended while completely stopped at a red light, by an uninsured driver. This was 3 WEEKS AGO. No one from Amica has come to look at my car because they are dealing with the uninsured driver's previous insurance company, who has been trying to contact the driver to "confirm" whether or not they had insurance. Of course they are avoiding their calls, but that is besides the point.

Amica should be taking care of THEIR CUSTOMER, BOTTOM LINE. I pay for uninsured motorist property damage coverage. They need to take care of their customer then deal with the other insurance company if the driver ended up having insurance. I don't know how on earth this company has so many great reviews. I thought Amica was supposed to have great customer service, but this has just been awful. I have been without a car for 3 weeks now (car is not drivable) and Amica has done NOTHING AT ALL besides make me wait. AWFUL EXPERIENCE, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND AMICA TO ANYONE.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Ashley. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Just so you know - the 1 star rating is way too high! I was in an accident with one of Amica's customer. The customer admitted fault and was written at fault on the police report. After filling out the mountain of paperwork for the claim for the damages to my car (almost 2 months), the claims rep (who was not very timely in answering or returning calls) is now telling me it was both our fault and they are not paying to fix my car. WHAT?! SHE BACKED INTO THE SIDE OF MY CAR! I am so ticked off right now. Needless to say, I will be ranting on any outlet I can about the disservice they have done. And to think, I had even thought about changing my insurance over to them. NO WAY. I hope they don't treat their own customers the way they treated me. SMH

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Vivian. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

When I moved from Liberty Mutual to Amica they matched the home valuation of Liberty Mutual which was $1.2M+. The actual cost to rebuild based on original construction cost in 2000 was just under $1.0M but when adjusted for inflation the number in 2019 is $1.4M. About 9 months after signing up with Amica, they hired their appraiser to determine the cost to rebuild my home.

Their first appraiser (interior and exterior) came up with $1.7M. After months of disagreement, on this valuation, they sent out a second appraiser saying the first one was not qualified for this type of home. The second appraiser valued the rebuild cost (in case of a total loss) at $2.1+M. or a 50% increase over the $1.4M real replacement value.

Because we disagreed on the value, my policy was not renewed. I felt like someone was "robbing" me but in the end all was well. I went to Progressive and their valuation of my home turned out to be within $20K of my cost to build adjusted for inflation. Why is this important to people thinking of Amica ... inflation of the cost to rebuild valuation doesn't get you anything extra, it just raises your premiums, in my case by more than 50%. BUYER BEWARE.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi William. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we'll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of ownership.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor