Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.64/5

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Despite only recently coming on the national stage, many customers have been with Amica for more than two decades. The online-remote model allows for reduced prices, and the company has won awards for customer service and claims response. Customers like the availability of umbrella policies and multi-plan discounts.

PROS

• Ranked No. 1 by JD Power
  • Often allow you to pick your repair shop
  • Convenient online portal for sign up and claims
  • Offers other types of insurance all in one place
  • No depreciation deduction

CONS

• Some customers experienced a rate increase
  • No local agents

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

222 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 17, 2019

Ugh. Terrible follow-up. Still trying to figure out what’s going on with a claim from 4 months ago. Premiums are astronomical. I don’t get it. I’m dumb for sticking it out as long as I have. I wish they were as good as they wish they were.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Darren. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 13, 2019

Horrible. Don't believe the "we're #1 in customer service" hype. After spending hours on the phone, working through false statements by their agents (like a false claim I'd get a 3 year auto policy tenure credit, when another agent later said I won't), I was ready to give them the business. Then, at the very last minute before my house closing, they claimed I had pets (I don't) and wouldn't issue the policy. I almost lost my new home. I tried to offer a sworn affidavit that I don't have pets, or some other way to resolve it, but they wouldn't budge. It probably started off with some innocent lost in translation problem, but their bone-headedness afterwards was inexcusable, particularly for a company that thinks so highly of themselves regarding service. I will encourage everyone I can to avoid Amica.

Amica Auto Insurance response

After additional review of your account, we recognize there was a misunderstanding and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We thank you for your patience during this matter and welcome you to contact us if you wish to discuss this further.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 3, 2019

I had read on several sites that Amica was considered top rated for homeowners or renters insurance. I called to get a quote. The person on the phone, Tracy (she refused to give me her last name for obvious reasons after you read this), was beyond unfriendly and the entire time acted like I was putting her out for asking for a quote. Then to top it off, she started asking the most insane questions that no other renter’s insurance company has ever asked me in my 43 years. Incessant questions about the property and what’s on the property.

#1 I don’t own this property, I’m renting it, so I don’t have answers about the details of its construction and maintenance or even neighborhood features since I just moved here. #2 She then proceeded to tell me that since we had had a homeowner’s claim on our previous home that we owned from a sewage back up, we would most likely be denied. I said, I’ve already called numerous other insurance companies and not a single one said that even after seeing and knowing about the claim. I said, "How can you deny us? We didn’t build the faulty piping, we didn’t hire that awful contractor (the insurance company did) so all the work had to be redone, that was on them, yet you are going to discriminate against us for something that categorically in every way shape or form was not our fault?"

"So if we were in a hurricane flood or a tornado loss or a gas leak fire, all of which would also have nothing to do with us, you would deny us under those circumstances?" Insurance companies may charge higher rates but they don’t deny. They would never be in business if they denied every person with a past claim. She said insurance is a risk business and we’re too high of a risk. Hmmm, Progressive, Geico, Nationwide, and Travelers didn’t seem to think so, She said she would run it by the underwriter and call me tomorrow. Hahahaha. Guess what, no phone call, especially after I asked her name at the end of one of the most disrespectful and insulting conversations I’ve ever had with a salesperson. Good luck getting and keeping customers with yahoos like that on your staff. Thanks Amica, for the glorious education in just how much your company has ZERO integrity in all realms.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kerry. We hate to hear this, and we’d like to discuss your experience with you. We’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 1, 2019

I first came to Amica due to recommendations from Clark Howard's website. They offered a VERY attractive annual premium on my auto and the sales lady said I would receive a 20% dividend at the end of the year - more on this later. Anyways, life was good until the term renewal came along. Just like another reviewer here, Mike, I had the same exact experience. Also the dividend was NOT 20% and was only 10%. HALF of what I was promised.

I have maintained an excellent driving record along with my wife and paid all my bills on time to maintain good credit. When I inquired on the increase, they said it was because of all the CLAIMS. I didn't have ANY claims. So just as another reviewer mentioned AMICA will penalize you for OTHER'S claims and not reward you for not having claims, not accruing traffic violations. Bottom line - they will price gouge you. My policy this term for Auto is going up about from annual $4200 to $2800 billed twice a year - so $5600. I am furious and will find other options. AVOID this customer at all costs - and I mean literally.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi James. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to us with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have been a customer of Amica for over 40 years; first auto insurance when I was 16 on my father's policy (who is also very satisfied lifelong customer). Then after college (I’m a Registered Nurse) I purchased my own policy... First for auto and in 1992 home and auto bundle. The company has always been excellent in every area; customer service, premiums are very reasonable, never felt as though I was being mistreated when filing a claim (in fact just as friendly and considerate when I had to file a claim as when I’m making a payment). I can’t understand all the negative reviews. My house was damaged by fire and heavy soot. Where most companies would have tried to pay to remove soot Amica realized it would have been a terrible house to live in and have been VERY generous in their damage estimates.

This is ongoing now and because there was nothing available to rent long term they are paying for me to live ON THE BEACH! The customer service is amazing. They actually have trouble reaching me at times but are very diligent. Money deposited into my account very quickly and within 2 days if the incident I had 10000 for any incidentals. In fact until I got into condo they paid for hotel and offered to pay for food since there wasn’t a full kitchen. I actually felt guilty and bought my own food. They have given an incredibly generous allowance for me to live while house is built.

To top things off 2 months ago I hit 4 deer and Amica didn’t blink an eye or raise my premium after paying out additional >$3000. Don ** is my General Property Adjuster and was my initial personal representative after the fire. From then until now he has been both professional and kind. During this difficult time I also lost my husband and at the risk of sounding dramatic he and Carla ** were a beam of light going above and beyond, showing kindness as not only employees but people who really care. (As well as everyone I have dealt with.) Were I not a nurse I would love the opportunity to work with this company!

The only possible reason I can come up with for all the negative reviews is that it is human nature to vent about our bad experiences. I noticed after each negative a representative from Amica reached out and I’d be willing to bet there was a resolution afterward... Too bad follow-ups aren’t seen. My email is **. If anyone doubts the validity of this review! Oh... Almost forgot; Amica works with Enservio as well as a company who helps in finding housing and they were amazing as well!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

My wife is now 5 hours into the event and it is not nearly over. She had a blowout and it took two hours for the truck to come. Amica said they would have it towed to Pep Boys who would fix it. The tow truck took her to Pep Boys which was CLOSED...not open as Amica said. The truck left her there and my wife has been on the phone for quite a while. The third person at Amica, a supervisor, is trying to find someplace open (at midnight now) and will have it towed there. If not they will tow it to someplace that will be open tomorrow and pay for a hotel tonight. (Which we do appreciate as otherwise she would have to sleep in the car at the repair shop until 7:00 am.)

There seems to be some training problems. One person did not know that the shop would be closed and another did not know how to handle the situation next. It took a manager to get it sorted out...assuming that it WILL be sorted out. We will still have to wait two hours for a tow truck to know how it works out tonight. This is my first call to Amica and I have to say that I'm not impressed. Let's see how the rest of the night goes.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Mike. This is not the experience we want you to have. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Reading the reviews before I purchased renters insurance was a red flag. But I went with Amica because I looked up top rated renters insurance and Amica came up. I had a recent burglary claim, someone came out recorded a statement, my adjuster keeps giving me the runaround, now they want me to meet with their attorney to get drilled under oath, doesn't seem normal... I guess this is how they do ** people.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Andrew. We apologize that you are unsatisfied with your claims experience thus far. Please send an email with your contact information so we may further review the matter. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I was told Amica would jack up my prices after year one. Everyone was correct. Feel like an idiot for not listening. Back to the old Insurance company. They charged me an extra $400 just for homeowners. They said it was because all the claims and the bad weather. WHAT? I didn't have a claim. The company had revenues of over $2.5 Billion last year and profit over 100 Million. And me, a guy that works 3 jobs just to get by, has to pay the increase for OTHERS claims!!! Does that make sense to anyone?? Already talked to them about it and the customer service agent just didn't care!! Truly didn't care. SAD!!! There are enough companies that do what you do, the reason people stay or leave is because of how they are treated!! PERIOD!! Amica needs to figure that out, and quickly!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Randall. We are sorry to hear you feel this way and would like to discuss your concerns further. We’ll have a member of our management team reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I was with Amica for a little over 6 months, I usually pay my insurance premiums every 6 months. I was out of the country for about 3 weeks due to my mom who was admitted in the hospital. Came back and was told my policy was cancelled for non payment. I wanted to reinstate my policy, the premiums went up from $1900.00 to over $5000.00/year. Just because I missed the payment due date, of which I was outside the country. I explained my circumstance but the agent does not want to listen. I have never had an accident or claim. Beware of this company. They are only interested in your money, not your welfare. I currently have my homeowner's insurance with them, I will be cancelling it very soon. I do not recommend this company to anyone, customer service very very poor also.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Simon. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to us with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

We recently had some work done to our back deck which sits 12 feet of the ground and faces Mt. Washington in NH. Why I mention this anything on this side of the house takes a beating. As a qualification the railing parts alone cost $10,000. In doing the job they discovered Rot which had to be replaced. The bill eventually amounted to $37,000. I filed a claim with Amica who promptly sent an adjuster while the work was being done. The adjuster explained they limit their liability is $10,000 for rot. I received the check fairly quickly. This left me with $17,000 unplanned expenses to cover. So I would tell anybody to be careful of the limitations of the policy.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I originally contacted Amica for a homeowner's policy. While on the phone with the representative, we discussed the benefits of a multi-policy rate (auto & home). The quote for auto was slightly higher than my current insurance (Amica $148 mo vs. Geico $122 mo), however, I was okay with the increase because I was still saving with my homeowner's policy. I provided all vehicle VINs and was given an annual premium for around $1,800 at $148 a month. She advised me that I needed to pay a down payment (first and last month) of $296 to activate the policy. I made the down payment and thought I was all set. Several weeks later I received a call and was advised that I needed to pay additional down payment and my rate was now $2,600!

I am currently waiting to hear back with a resolution. I have spoken to several representatives whom just direct me to someone else. I've left voicemails with the original agent and my call hasn't been returned. I was told that a manager from underwriting would call me yesterday evening, they never did. I've lost all confidence in their customer service, and I'm now worried about my decision to switch my homeowner's policy as well.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Michael. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

FED UP. Once an award winning company Amica is a BLOATED SHELL of its former self. They fish out Customer service and the Towing service to other companies now. I've been a paying client for over a decade. After an accident this past fall they REMOVED our towing and labor coverage, and then NEGLECTED to let us know. This after the agent handling the accident assured us our policy would NOT change. Well it sure did. Sure as Murphy's Law I was stranded with a dead battery a couple of months later in the dead of winter. THEY REFUSED my service unless I paid this 3rd party company for the tow!! When I told them I am covered that is when they informed me know that our towing and labor coverage was removed!!!

Long story short we were stranded for hours until someone we knew was able to get us off the side of the road. Now we've used the service several times each year but if you offer the service and do not allow your clients to use the service -- WHY WOULD YOU OFFER IT!?!? That's BAIT AND SWITCH!!! This company has let greed and apathy (lack of interest, enthusiasm, and concern) become the STANDARD mode of doing business. Several months later, NO RESOLUTION.

As one of their reps conceded on the phone, "It's a numbers game." When I responded "I feel they are treating us like crooks" He responded with "I have Progressive, I recommend you try there if customer service matters to you, And they have better pricing." And that is the only bit of service that I've received from Amica in 2019 that I will take. WE ARE DONE WITH AMICA and their greed! We are looking elsewhere for a company that delivers a better service for a better price.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Steven. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I would rate my experience, so far as a 1 star. AMICA Auto Insurance is behind the times (Lake Oswego Office – Portland, Oregon). Let me set the stage for you... It’s been over 20 work days since the accident and the claim hasn’t moved forward. A customer of AMICA’S pulled out in front of me on my green light as I was entering the intersection, I supplied 15 photos and an Aerial photo of the accident… This is 100% their fault. My insurance company (FARMERS) took my statement the next day on the phone and have made numerous calls to follow-up on me and with AMICA. AMICA has your mail in the information (more delays)... Really, it’s the digital age. In today’s market it’s all about customer service and taking care of the customer. I’ll do a follow-up review with the second half of my experience. CLAIM # **.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Ralph. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to us with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Unfortunately, I was not able to rate 0 the Amico. Amico sent me the advertisement mentioned we are pre-screened for the insurance. Based on the application, I filled the forms online, got a quote and then call Amico to finalize the purchase of the insurance. Suddenly the representative informs me, that our driving record does not fit to Amica policy and they would not be able to provide insurance. It was a surprise since all the information was in the application. So, Amico falsely claims we are pre-screened, sent a false quote and as a result wasted a lot of my time. So, for my experience, worse insurance company I ever deal with.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Just received a mailing that I could save money by switching to Amica. Mailing states on average customers save $593. With that I started my online quote. My current insurance with two vehicles, perfect driving record, no claims, etc...is about $1,400 a year. MY AMICA QUOTE IS $11,048.34! OMG. I thought it was a mistake so I called the number. "Nope, no mistake," she said. "We are a premium insurance co. that will have a higher premium because of it." You can see where this went, Nowhere. Like talking to a wall. Maybe some of you are paying premiums like that. Not me.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Eric. We saw your review and would like to look into this. Would you mind sending an email containing your full name, address and phone number so we can investigate? Thanks. –Andy

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I switched insurance companies when I was near the end of my term with Amica. They sent me a bill for me to renew. When I called them to explain that I switched (My new insurance company must not have contacted them.) While I was waiting for them to get back to me, they put me in collections!!! I now owe them $41. I'm debating about paying it. If they already wrecked my credit rating, I may not. They ruined any chance of my ever having them for an insurance company again.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Jay. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and a representative will reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I was hit by a guy who has Amica Auto Insurance. At the scene I got a video recorded statement of him saying he left his lane and swerved into mine hitting my truck. We had a report done and he gave the Trooper two different stories of what happened. I filed a claim with Amica at the scene. Over a week later and I had not heard anything. Finally after calling 3 times, an appraiser came out and said I would hear something in a day or two. That came and went. I called again and left a voicemail for Hunter ** who was assigned the case. She didn't call back.

I called again the next day and emailed her. She said she could not open a zip file or a Google Drive file to watch the video I recorded at the scene of the driver claiming fault so that was it, a too bad situation. Then she says they haven't decided fault because the policyholder still has not called them back, now over 2 weeks after the crash. What a joke, I have never seen an insurance company treat people like this. I'm so glad I don't have them as my insurance, no telling what would happen...

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Daniel. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I've been an Amica customer for over 3 years and have three policies - homeowners and car in CA and landlord in NJ. I received my auto renewal and the premium increased over $500 for the Feb 2019-2020 period. My husband and I have three cars covered; we are good driving records, filed no claims and drive less than 10K miles total.

I called Amica to find out why the premium increased $500. It was difficult to get someone in the state of CA on the phone. I waited almost three days. The person I spoke to had no clue why the policy increased other than the rate (not set by Amica) for one of the cars increased by $50. I get nominal rate increases but over $500 in 1 year is ridiculous. Underwriting should review their renewals for drivers with good driving records, no claims and multiple policies. I will be leaving Amica and moving all three policies for bad underwriting, expensive policies for good customers and their inability to explain premium increases.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Alesha. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send us an email with your contact information and we’ll have someone contact you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Russell ** who has insurance with Amica should have to pay for me to have another car for he rammed into mine on 01/04/2019 and now I am without a car permanently. He was careless and driving on the wrong side and my car was parked. He then brought back a broom to cover up any evidence. Never was going to check if anyone was home.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Marianne. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send us an email with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have a representative contact you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My policy with Amica was the only experience I've had with renters insurance. I don't know if my being a new policyholder has had anything to do with how things have happened... Although I guess really that shouldn't matter. I made a claim on my renter's insurance policy for theft. It occurred on Sunday December 23rd 2018, just before Christmas. I have course called the police, made a report and notified Amica a few hours later. The following morning I received an email confirming that they had received my claim, but then was unable to reach anyone or get a reply from anyone for close to a week following.

The following Monday, in response to several emails and messages sent through their claims portal online, I did receive an email stating that an adjuster would be contacting me to set an appointment to come to the house. I spoke with the adjuster later that afternoon and we made an appointment for Wednesday January 2nd 2019. I guess I was anticipating someone coming and going over what had happened, taking a look at things and that would be the end of the claim, it would be taken care of and be resolved. It turned out to be a recorded interview and I was asked a lot of very specific questions about my children, their father, what my income was last year and whether I had ever had a car repossessed or a home foreclosed on. By the time it was done it felt much more like a recorded investigation.

I had thought in reviewing the coverage after this happened that I had a policy that provided replacement coverage. For each item that was on my property list that I turned in to Amica I needed to provide the date each item was purchased and what the age of the item was at the time of the incident. Never having made an insurance claim before I was unsure exactly what would be needed so I tried to leave things as they were in the area where this happened until someone could come to the house and do what they needed to do.

During this time I could not completely shut or lock my back door. I had made Amica aware of this. It took a week and a half for them to send someone out. If I had known a week and a half ago that I was going to have to pay to replace the back door and put a new lock on I would have just went ahead and done it and not had to worry about a door to the house being unlocked.

At this point I don't know what is going on or what to expect. I am guessing, would hope, that this is not standard for Amica customer service. When I was dealing with the representative that sold me the renter's insurance policy he was telling me about all of the Superior Services that Amica had to offer and how well, and quickly, they react to the needs of a policyholder. Unfortunately it just has not been my experience. My first experience with having renter's insurance coverage or dealing with a company for renter's insurance has not been a good one.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Amica is extremely responsive and professional. My parents were lifelong customers, I and my husband are lifelong customers, and we’ve had to call them on only a rare few occasions compared to how many years we’ve been paying in. They’ve never given us the runaround, and are always extremely helpful and caring.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're so glad to hear that you're pleased with your insurance, Dina! We're proud to provide our customers with the exceptional customer service that they deserve. We hope you have a great day!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

John **, an Amica client rear ended my car on July 3rd. Amica will not pay my claim/damages done to my car for reasons that are misunderstood. I will be seeking legal advice this Friday. If you are not at fault, why does he not pay, he’s liable.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was informed by Amica that California has a new law which states if you do not return a form to them, they by law have to match your insuranced motorists coverage to your uninsured motorists coverage without your permission. As they told me on several calls, they can’t do anything because it’s a new law. We didn’t want to change anything about our coverage so we never returned the form because we wanted it to stay the same. For the past 3 months we’ve been getting overcharged by almost a $100 a month, because they matched our high insured coverage to our not as high uninsured motorists coverage. I was told they are not going to return any of the extra money I was charged without my permission due to this new law.

After calling the California Department of Insurance and finding out through them that no such law exists, they told me to go to their website and file a complaint because they are breaking the law. Here is the link to file your complaint: **. They need to reimburse all of us for their ridiculous mistake that the company has been greatly profiting on illegally. I highly suggest anyone else that has been getting overcharged to go on that website and file your complaint because this is wrong. And by the way we’ve been with this company for years and we’ve been very happy and I completely trusted them and I believed what they told me about this “New” California law until I spoke to several friends about it and then I decided to call the Department of California Insurance to find out they are 100% wrong. I wish I knew how to respond to the postings on this page but I can’t figure it out. So I hope you all get a chance to read this. Good luck!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Kassandra. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Despite not having submitted a single claim (other than very infrequent windshield replacement), nor any moving violations or other negative marks, Amica has consistently raised our Auto Insurance rates by $400 annually. There are only 2 drivers - my spouse and I, on 2 vehicles - both purchased new in 2014. In 2018-Dec, we were notified that Amica is switching us from a 12-month policy to a 6-month policy. This decision offers the policyholder NOTHING but gives a great advantage to Amica to revisit rates 2x per year. After being a loyal customer for 10+ years, I can no longer afford to insure with Amica and am seeking new coverage elsewhere.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your name and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I am a customer of Amica. I purchased a used pick up truck on 11/17/18. After completing all the paperwork I contacted Amica again to make sure they provided coverage on my "new" truck.” I write "again" because I called & spoke with one of their reps prior to purchasing to see what I needed to do to make sure I had coverage when I left the lot. I spoke to R. ** & he informed me that the dealership needed to provide a bill of sale OR sales window sticker before they would issue me an insurance card & provide coverage. He explained to me that if we didn't do this we would have had to have the vehicle inspected. Since we provided the info he released the cards & informed me we were good to go & were all set. FYI, the dealership would also not allow me to leave without the insurance card to show my coverage so obviously this was very important.

The dealership immediately emailed the bill of sale to R ** & he responded with emailing back the insurance card/cards to the dealership who then handed them to me. Fast forward to 12/6/18 I received a certified letter from Amica reading that they had suspended my "physical damage coverage" & that I was no longer insured for physical damage to my ("your") car. The letter went on to read that "The coverage will be restored when your vehicle has been inspected." Imagine my surprise to receive this letter since I was told by R ** on 11/17 that I was "good to go", that my premium would increase a bit, which I understood, & I would receive an email stating the additional amount due in a couple of weeks. I have since received that email.

I called Amica on 12/8 & spoke to William ** & explained how I had received the letter. I also explained to him that I was frustrated & upset to receive the letter after I had been told the above info from R **. He informed me that there was no record of anyone receiving any of this information but that if I could send him the bill of sale this would waive the "suspension". On the same day, 12/8 I emailed William ** the "Retail Installment Sale Contract" which I was told was not what he was looking for. I told him all of the paperwork I had from the transaction & he wrote I could send him a "BOC" or the window sticker & this would take care of what they needed. I asked what a BOC was & he said a bill of sale.

Since I didn't have anything that read "bill of sale" I went to the dealership the next day (12/9), which I shouldn't have had to do since I already was told this was taken care of, to get a copy of what was sent on 11/17 to R ** originally. The dealership rep remembered me & what they had to do for Amica because they claimed they never had to do this with any other insurance company even though it had been more than 3-weeks since I was there. They pulled up the email & printed out the bill of sale which I then emailed to William ** on 12/8 at 4:45pm. By the way, the "bill of sale" they printed & said they emailed was a form I did have called a "Buyers Order Agreement". Not sure where the BOC comes from but anyway...this is the same form which R ** responded was what he was looking for on 11/17 so he could release the insurance cards.

This was when I spoke to him on the phone at the dealership to make sure it was what he was looking for from us. William ** finally responded to me 2-days later on 12/10 at 5:58pm to ask me to forward him the response email from R ** from 11/17. Instead of telling me he received the bill of sale from me, that everything was good & that my insurance was no longer suspended by them, he wanted a copy of the email response from R **? Here I am with what they're telling me is suspended coverage when I need to drive my vehicle! He's more interested in receiving a forwarded email from one of his cohorts!!! I need to know my insurance coverage is reinstated!!!

On 12/11 8:14am I forwarded William ** the email response to me from R ** that contained the insurance cards, which I had already received from him through the dealership when I went back there to talk to them about this whole episode. Yesterday, 12/12 at 9:12am I gain sent another email to William ** to say that now that I have sent the bill of sale am I all set (again???)? As of this time I still have not received confirmation from William **, or ANY Amica rep for that matter, that I again have full coverage!!! I would venture to say stay away from Amica if this is how they treat their "customers". I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point other than write this review to alert others.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Joe. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I am an AMICA auto policy holder. I recently had an accident which was not my fault. AMICA covered the claim under my uninsured motorist coverage. The repairs were over $19,000. After the car was repaired I got an appraisal from a certified auto appraiser who stated the "diminished value" cost on my car was $8,000 because it had such a large repair bill and folks would pay less for my car now because of it. AMICA offered me $2300 without ever hiring an appraiser but by using some ridiculous and illegal method whereby they used a formula to come up with the amount. I now have to sue them to get the rest of my money. Awful experience -- already going to terminate my coverage with them.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Bruce. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative contact you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

If I could give zero stars, I would. We spoke with a representative [Michael **] and he got us set up for a policy on a house we're planning to close on. We waited for confirmation on the policy, and waited, and waited. As the closing date approached, we received a call from him saying to give him a call back, no big deal. We did, no return call. Tried multiple times over the next four days. Nothing. Sent emails, called again. Find out through another call [again still can't get a hold of Michael] that they just need confirmation that we'll handle a small bit of leftover mold [which our inspector said was not a problem] within 30 days of closing. Sure thing! We'll handle that. Meanwhile, our loan officer is trying to get a hold of them as well to finalize details. Finally get a call TWO DAYS before closing to hear they will not be able to insure us. Thanks AMICA for making home buying so stressful! We'll be sure to let everyone know how "helpful" you are.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Lauren. This is not the experience we want you to have and we’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative get in touch with you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Amica increased my auto insurance premium by $80.00 for 2019. Perfect driving record; no tickets and no accident claims ever paid for on my policy. I have been with them for a while now. Reached out to customer service; she basically said "oh well, 80.00 is not a lot of money anyway". Time to go looking for auto insurance!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Really ripped me off. I called Oct 27 to lower my premium for the month of November. The sales rep said it was too late in the month to change the policy for November, but it would be applied to December. I was charged my higher rate for November, and not my lower rate for my new premium until today. However, I was rear ended two weeks ago and they have charged this new premium is applied to the month of November even though I paid the higher amount. Basically, I get less even though I paid more. Their excuse over the phone was "The bill was already sent out." But they don't bill retroactively! This makes no sense. Don't go with Amica, they are blatantly trying to get your money.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Courtney. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I began auto and home insurance for my family with Amica in1977. Throughout our time with the company we were loyal and highly responsible drivers and owners and I was solely responsible for recommending Amica to no less than 20 friends shopping for insurance. Without consultation or notice, one day in 1997 we received a letter stating that they were dropping us. No recourse. Since then I am happy to say that when I’m asked about auto and homeowner's insurance (and I’ve been asked at least 100 times since then). I tell people ACBA - Any Company But Amica!

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support from.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of owning it.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky