Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH
2.02/5

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

178 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I switched my Home, Auto and the umbrella insurance to Amica two years ago because their prices were attractive. However, year over year my total cost has increased 16% and 12% respectively, while my home, cars and myself are getting older. That's 28% increase in 2 years! My home dwelling (cost to rebuild my house) has increased year over year...8% and 6% respectively, however home values as well as new build/replacement cost my area has decreased. I called Amica and made my argument without resolution. Time to look elsewhere...

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Mike. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We've been insured under Amica for a decade. Throughout the first seven years, we were happy to pay more than average because they were great. Over the last two-three years, everything has completely deteriorated. Some examples: Last spring, I received information about owing money due to an accident. Fair. I called their accounting department and was repeatedly told they could not find the bill, could not find the person I was supposed to talk to in order to pay, etc. It took four separate calls (and several hours!) to finally track down someone who had any idea what was going on and how to, you know, pay them the money they'd billed me for.

The rep who dealt with our homeowners insurance had a list of things that needed to get fixed or changed for our policy. Some made total sense: proof that the oil tank was removed, trimming a tree near a power line. Others, not so much: re-painting the entire (recently painted) house. I asked about that one, and not only could she not explain why that needed to happen, she also told me she couldn't find out why, and that I just had to do it. I assume there IS a reason, but if I'm going to pay for an entire house re-paint, it would awesome if someone could actually give me the reason behind it, you know?

Despite paying our auto insurance monthly for a year, last year they randomly billed the entire sum for the coming year to our credit card. I called, they refunded me, and assured me it was completely set back to monthly for the future. Last month, they did the exact same thing. I called, the person I spoke to assured me it would be refunded and fixed. A month later, no refund, no monthly charge.

I called to check in and was told they couldn't issue it because they needed to confirm that we hadn't filed a dispute with our bank. (We hadn't. I hadn't mentioned anything about it during the first call. While on the phone with me, she checked and said "Hmmmm, there's no mention of why they would think there was.") I asked why no one had called to ask us about this. She explained they'd called at least eight times. I checked our phone records. One call from Amica, no voicemails. I asked which phone number they'd called, and she told me they didn't store this information.

During this call, she also told me that an umbrella policy I'd been under the impression I'd canceled (because... I spoke to someone, requested it was canceled, and was told it was) last summer had actually NOT been canceled, and canceled itself due to my non-payment. (They have my credit card information on file. Every other policy I have is set up on auto-bill. Why would this one also not be on auto-bill, if it was still active?) No one I've spoken to in the previous year (and there have been a lot, see all of the above points!) has mentioned owing money on this policy. Since I've been under the impression it was successfully canceled, and it's been a year, my notes on the cancellation (e.g., who I spoke to, when I spoke to them, any sort of confirmation information I received over the phone) are long gone.

When I asked why no one had mentioned it up until now, or contacted us about it, and mentioned that I was fairly frustrated with all of my experiences with Amica over the past few years, she replied "Well, this situation hasn't been awful... We refunded your money!" And it's true, they did. After they overcharged me nearly two thousand dollars for something they said was fixed last year, after three phone calls and several hours on the phone, and after I had to follow up with them because they apparently have a phantom phone number for me that they only use when trying to issue me a refund, they did refund my money.

I paid for the stupid three months of the umbrella policy just to end the agony. I'm delighted to report I'm searching for a new insurance provider for my auto, homeowners, and landlord insurance policies, and I hope to soon say I'll never need to speak to Amica again. If you'd like to pay extra for a Kafka-esque bureaucratic frustration, definitely go with Amica. Otherwise, shop around.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry to hear this, Savannah, and we’d like to speak with you about the experiences you’ve had with us. We’ve passed your review along and will have a manager get in touch with you to discuss this. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Did not renew insurance with Amica and they sent it to collections. After four years Amica raised my rates and I decided not to renew and got another insurance company. Couple months later I got a letter from them, demanding x amount of money and unless I paid they would send it to collections. I called them and told them that I don't owe them anything and I don't have to renew my insurance with them. They said if I send them my new insurance information (none of their business) then I wouldn't have to pay anything. Despite my better judgment I sent them the info. I haven't heard back from them, but about a month later I got a letter from a collection agency to pay the same amount of money. I wonder how would they react if after not paying my monthly premium, I would show up and demand money for my damages.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Erika. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I am dealing with a catastrophic home claim I filed in June. I have never dealt with this before. I have not heard from my adjuster and am nowhere near close to my house being fixed. I called numerous times to be told my adjuster is on leave and a supervisor would call me back. That was a week ago. I called today and was disconnected when transferring the call. I called back. Another representative was not helpful and cut me off when I spoke. I am sad to say the time of need I really need my insurance company they are a joke! I plan on going on every site possible so other people don't experience the same thing. I am not sure how Amica can say they have a satisfaction rate in the 90s, I wouldn't even give you half of that!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Sylvia. We’re sorry to hear this, and we’d like to have a representative get in touch with you about your claim and your experience with us. Could you please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number? If so, we will someone reach out directly. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I have been with AMICA for 3 years now and while they were not the cheapest insurance they had good customer service, and gave me peace of mind (although they did keep going up on their rates while justifying the increase by telling me, "We added other services to your policy", which I don't even use). I am a customer that always made the most of their "discounts": safe driver, loyal customer, great credit, multi policy, etc. I paid them for a whole year of insurance upfront, just like I always do; a total of $837 for my 9 year old SUV (full coverage) in March. Now here it is August (5 months later) and I sold my SUV, and I cancelled the coverage since I no longer needed it (keep in mind that I still have one auto insured through AMICA). I was expecting at get back at least $350 to $400 return for the portion of unused insurance that I had purchased, instead got back a total $156 for the remaining 7 months of prepaid full coverage auto policy.

They said it is due to not being eligible for the discounts they were giving me when I "started" the policy (since I don't have two cars insured). I call "BS" and had they told me they were going to keep my money for the unused portion I would not have paid them upfront (warning to people... do not pay them upfront ever just make the monthly payments so you can walk away at any time, the 5% discount is not worth the risk). I am now going to cancel my renters insurance and will check on going back to AAA auto insurance (just wondering how much AMICA will rip me off again for leaving them) who at least have physical offices everywhere, and while they may not have the best customer service at least they did not rip me off either I would rather know what I am dealing with.

Lesson learned and I will not be back ever, and I will continue to discourage anyone from getting any kind of AMICA insurance (the dividend they like to brag about is a bunch of crap too, it is nothing more than a marketing scheme people, I only got $20 a year twice). AMICA is this how you treat your loyal customers, if so you can keep your "blood money" and I will give someone else my business and money when we are through. At this point I would rather pay another company more money just to prove a point to AMICA. Also I just checked AMICA's website and they archive all the policies you have had with with them, funny though they took that prepaid policy off. It does not matter I have the email they originally sent back in February and it will be getting sent to Austin Tx with my complaint.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tony. We saw your review and would like to discuss it with you. Please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we'll have someone reach out to you. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I had a full year auto insurance with Amica and fully paid the insurance at the very beginning (May 2017). This insurance stopped in May 2018. Then I started a new auto policy with another company at the beginning of May 2018. However, they keep sending me email, mail, and even via CCS to ask for bill. That is cheating.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hello. We'd like to look into this. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your name and phone number and we'll have someone contact you about this. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I'm new to Amica. But since my parked car was struck by an hit and run, security and police reports made, I feel Amica claims adjuster has constantly wanted to push this claim to my collision coverage, which I believe will negatively affect my future insurance costs but guarantee they recoup their costs, for shareholder? Maybe all insurance companies do this? I do not know. I feel they investigated me. Am I at fault? The car was parked, I think it's to make their money back.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tim. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Could you please send us an email at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name, contact information, and claim number so we can have a representative get in touch? Thank you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My family has had Amica insurance for over 10 years. Multiple family members carry the insurance for their homes and cars (at least 4 houses and 4 cars, and probably others that I don't know about). This year, one of the home insurance policies had to be underwritten again. The customer service during this process was fantastic. After about 6 weeks of emails and phone calls (which was a reasonable amount of time because there were multiple family members who needed to be on conference calls), we received 3 new quotes in April.

The quotes were accurate and on par with the previous policy cost. Then, due to family travel and unforeseen circumstances, there was a 6-8 week gap in communication to Amica. When we reached out again (in June) to accept one of the quotes, we were told the rates had increased. When we inquired as to why, in a two month period the rates had increased, we were told that was not information that could be shared with us. Furthermore, when we inquired as to the number of claims that had been made on the policy, we were also told that information could not be shared with us. We are now so disappointed with the customer service and the business ethics and practices at Amica, all family members are looking to insure both homes and cars elsewhere.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Adrienne. We’d like the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you. Please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I read reviews and did my research online for a great auto insurance company. Everything I saw had Amica rated really well, so I decided to do a quote online and then phoned in to get everything finalized. Susan ** was the rep who helped me and was very pleasant getting everything set up. I made a payment to have the policy start at midnight on 08/07/2018. After downloading the Amica app later that evening, I realized that the closest preferred collision center was about an hour away. Given a wreck is a headache enough, I did not want to have to a commute to also deal with to get a repair done. So, I called in that night and asked to have it canceled for this reason and I was told they would mail me a check out for the refund.

Susan called me on 08/07/2018 midday and stated that she had seen my request and asked that I call and speak with her about my concern. I did that and after talking with her I decided that I still did not feel comfortable taking a wreck car to a non-preferred facility. She did mention that I could see about having any facility added to their list, but that is something that I would expect from The General insurance commercial.

Why should I do the footwork to get you a non-preferred facility approved??? So, I asked to go ahead with the cancellation and her tone changed, not rude, but just no more sincerity and concern for my interests were gone. She stated that she would go ahead and process the cancellation and that I would also get an email confirming that, which I never got. Today I get a email from Carmen ** about following up on my documents that need to be signed. What happen to my cancellation??? I have email Carmen and Susan back regarding this issue and currently am waiting on a reply. I did not expect this runaround with a company that I read so many positives things about.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi James. We’d like to discuss this with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information? From there, we’ll have someone get in touch with you. Thank you. -JH

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Car was hit from behind causing damage to the vehicle and it had to be towed. Used Amica preferred body shop that fixed the bumper but they refused to fix any damage done from accident to the front of the vehicle. The Amica preferred body shop really made it clear that I have to pay for anything done to the front of the vehicle. It wasn't surprising the Amica appraisal people agreed with the body shop completely. I informed the body shop that force from the back on the vehicle can transfer to the front of the vehicle. The Amica preferred body shop gave high estimates for the front lower control arms, front wheel and front bearing arguing that nothing in the front of the vehicle is damage related to the accident.

Long story short had to tow the vehicle back and took the car to another mechanic that replaced only the bearing and one tire and now car is aligned perfectly. Turned out front lower control arms and wheel were just fine. So in conclusion a car hit from behind turning right with brakes on and hit with a certain amount of force can and will damage a front bearing. Sent photo of bearing to Amica showing the bearing being pulled out from tire being dragged.

Bottom line my experience with their customer service has been very poor and it's unfortunate I had to cover some of the damages myself. I'm sure Amica's reply to this is, "It isn't accident related." So if it isn't why would I have to tow the car to and from the body shop? Sure there is wear and tear on a car but the car ran straight before accident and after accident it can't be driven hardly at all. Sad you pay for insurance for years and then when you need it I still have to pay for repairs to get car running to where it was before.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Robert. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Could you please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and claim number? From there, we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I was a policyholder in one form or another for over 30 years. I dropped my auto insurance about 5 years ago. The rates went up considerably because I had an auto accident and a couple of photo radar tickets, so understandable. I held onto to my homeowner insurance. I've checked auto insurance a few times at Amica but it would cost me triple from what I'm paying now. This week I decided to look at bundling my home with Progressive my current auto insurance. I find out that it will save me over 1000.00 a year on just my homeowners insurance for the same coverage. Really that much!

I never had a claim. I don't mind paying a little extra for good service but wow. I'm feeling foolish to think they were giving me decent rates for being a loyal customer. I'm feeling like I was violated by someone I thought I knew. They really screwed me. I used to really have good comments about this company and even recommended them to handful of friends. Not anymore.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Thomas. We’re sorry that you feel this way. If you’d like to discuss your concerns with us, please send us an email at socialmedia@amica.com with your name and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: July 13, 2018

I signed up with Amica for a 1 year Auto & Home policy in July 2017. I knew at that time I was selecting an insurance company rated for some of the best service in NA. My original sales representative was very helpful and informative and helped me setup my Iowa policies. He also let me know at the 1 year renewal mark I would have the options of maintaining my coverage for a slight discount or increasing my coverage for a slight increase in premium which I was pleased to hear. Both policies combined were around $2,100~ over the year at $176 plus change monthly which was the most I’d ever paid for insurance, but I was happy to pay it because I came to Amica with the intention of staying put and one day passing this great coverage on to my future children.

I spoke with various representatives as time went by who were always professional and some were extra kind and helpful/caring. And I had good service experiences with Amica. In April 2018 I spoke with a sales representative for New Mexico who advised me that to have the same kinds of policies in New Mexico would be around $12 cheaper per year than Iowa. In May 2018 both policies were changed to New Mexico. In June 2018 I saw my first bill for my New Mexico policies which was $278...

Keep in mind I never had single accident claim that resulted in Amica paying out a dime nor did I incur any speeding or driving related tickets during this period. When I called Amica to find out why my bill had gone up I was informed that 12 months of charges had been packed into 9 months of billing due to the way the billing worked out which I understood, but the bill was still too high even accounting for that.

After more conversations I found out my New Mexico policies were over $2,500 over 12 months and that if Amica had renewed my Iowa policies I would have paid over $2,400 over 12 months. Amica had some professional and even kind representatives that listened to me, but Amica has not empowered them or even the supervisors enough to help someone in my situation. Therefore the dream I had for Amica & I is dead, and the corporation Amica has become like a ??? that bites in my eyes. I am switching to Allstate where for $128 plus change per month I can at least cover the auto fully.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry we weren’t able to meet your needs at this time, Abriam. There are many factors that go into pricing a policy. We’ll pass your feedback along and we wish you all the best in the future. Thank you. -KD

Original review: June 28, 2018

Our daughter has a spotless driving record. We are in the process of giving her our 11 year old car that has never been in an accident and has well under 100,000 miles. She lives 1500 miles from us. We drove the car 2 days ago to her new location. She previously lived 2500 miles away on the East Coast. She did not own or drive any car for the past 14 months. She had been on our Amica policy for 6.5 years. First as a high school student with no car of her own and later to an out-of-state honor college student. When she moved to the East Coast, she did not own or drive a car, nor was she a student any longer. Her work provided her with a Metropass. Amica told us to take her off of our policy when she moved to the East Coast 14 months ago. They increased our rate 14% after we took her off because they said they felt like it.

She just accepted a new job in the Midwest. We drove our 11 year old car there and are in the process of giving it to her (her name on the title, and new license plates. She is also getting a new driver's license.) Amica quoted her car insurance policy at $8000!!! She has a clean driving record as does the 11 year old car which also has air bags, alarm, well under 100,000 miles, stabilizer suspension, anti-lock breaks. Amica says they are charging her that because she didn't have insurance last year. How can you have car insurance when you don't own or drive a car? Why did they tell me to take her off our policy and then raise our rates when we had fewer drivers, fewer miles being driven? She received car insurance easily from a different major car insurance company for $972. Amica screws its customers and there is no service from their customer service. Horrible, unethical company.

Updated on 06/29/2018: I was told that I could only privately respond to your unhelpful response which I feel is ridiculous. So Amica here is my response to your "help" in this matter. Your representative agreed that you are not the cheapest in providing car insurance and that you did recommend my daughter go off our policy. Also, the $8000 quote for her individual insurance is firm. The rep could not justify the increase to our policy after the removal of our daughter. Everything I said was confirmed. Amica hates millennials and anyone over fifty. Customer service acts as gatekeepers to screw us with a smile.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We understand that you spoke with a representative about this today. If there's anything you'd like to discuss with us further, we'd be happy to have someone reach out again. Thank you.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I received a quote with the exact same coverages I have with Geico. 100/300 50k property damage 2 cars and $500 deductibles full coverage includes uninsured motorist and $30/900 rental coverage. I pay $150 a month and these clowns wanted $626. Do yourself a favor if you have this company insuring your cars. Call Geico ASAP because odds are you're getting ripped off!

Amica Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry we weren’t able to meet your needs at this time, Stephen. if you’d like to have someone review your quote with you, please send us an email at socialmedia@amica.com and provide us with your full name and phone number so we can have a representative contact you directly. Thanks. -CB

Original review: June 18, 2018

I live with other family members and a select few tend to forget to give me my mail daily or they’ll get mail from the box and toss the pile in a different area of the house each day and not remember where they put it. So I enrolled for my bills to be emailed monthly to me. I rarely check my email so typically knowing my bill was due the first week of the month and it was always the same amount $100. I used to just log onto Amica.com which my dashboard/profile would show me the amount due and the date it was due by and then I was able to pay it then and there in one shot. In March after I paid my typical bill I added on a second car that I only drive once in a while during the summer time. I was told that it was going to cost an extra $89 a month so my bill total would be $175. She said I would begin seeing this new total come the next bill cycle.

03/31/2018 was the last time Amica had posted a bill to my account. On 04/17/18 I logged onto my Amica profile and my dashboard said I owed $100 immediately and showed no other balance or amount due. So I paid $100 on 04/17/18 and where the dashboard said there was no amount due I figured I was fine until the next upcoming month. Well Amica mailed out a cancellation notice 17 days later after I paid the $100 saying if I didn’t pay $99.67 by 05/29/18 then the policy would be cancelled. Well I never ended up seeing this actual letter until 06/10/18 when a family member had cleaned the kitchen and had found it in a pile of junk mail, she told me she assumed it wasn’t important since she knew I signed up for my bills to be emailed and that I knew to pay each month.

Between the day I made the $100 payment and to the cancellation date 04/17/18 to 05/29/18 not one Amica agent had attempted to contact me by making a phone call to me to let me know I actually had $99.76 past due and it had to be paid before 05/29/18 in order to avoid cancellation. My step dad was hit by a drunk driver the week of Memorial Day weekend which same week Amica was to cancel my policy that I had absolutely no knowledge of. So I traveled miles daily after 05/29/18 until 06/10/18 which when I finally discovered this whole issue which left me stranded miles from home and sleeping outside on a sidewalk in front of the hospital my dad was dying in up in ICU. He had to be placed into induced coma which ended up causing me to be side tracked which I admit is my doing, but I figured everything was ok with my policy and didn’t think an insurance company would cancel me for being a few days late.

This point I figured my bill was due 06/2/18 and forgot about it until 06/10/18. While my dad was in a very high risk surgery I recalled I had put off 2/3 bills and decided to pay them while waiting. I logged onto my Amica profile and my dashboard showed I had to make a payment of $99.76 which threw me off a bit because I assumed by now my second vehicle was going to be billed this time. I paid the $100 and planned to call Amica the next day since I had plans to go home since I didn’t have a babysitter. My dashboard said I had then had $0.00 past due and that next amount due was to be $185.00 due 08/2/18 so again so misleading and assumed everything was fine. Well it wasn’t because I finally was given the letter sent to me on 05/4/18 saying my policy was cancelled 05/29/18 due to $99.76 not being paid. Confused I looked into my past bills which last bill Amica posted was 3/15/18 and it was actually for the amount of roughly $250!

Since that was the case I’d love to know why my dashboard had shown me that only a payment of $150 was due 4/17/18 and not actually the full bill amount! And instead of a normal company that would’ve actually called their client to inform them Amica just sends out a cancellation notice 17 days prior to receiving $150 and saying I’ll be cancelled over a petty $100. When all they needed to do was either give me a phone call or just put the past due $100 into the next bill they could’ve posted and stating it must be paid in full by a certain date. None of this would’ve happened if Amica had actually told me on my dashboard the exact amount the bill was due versus like half the bill.

Then on 6/7/18 when I made the payment of the $100 that my dashboard said was due my dashboard had then said I had zero past due and $185 not due until 8/2/18 which if Amica hasn’t posted a bill to my account on that policy since 3/15/18 and that they cancelled it 5/29/18 how the heck can they say I owe them $185 on 8/2/18 on a policy that isn’t even active any longer! When I paid the $100 on 6/7/18 that was the amount that was due before 5/29/18 to avoid cancellation so technically I was to be caught up on that past policy. When I contacted Amica multiple times they all avoid actually answering my questions and admit their poor communication skills they have with customers. And the fact that this whole cancellation absolutely could’ve been avoided all together.

They just change the subject to the fact that they’ll gladly quote me on starting a new policy which will cost me more monthly due to being cancelled for non payment by last insurer (no crap. It is your company!) and then demand I must pay 20% down upfront to begin the policy! I refuse! If Amica had communicated correctly or put correct amounts due on customers dashboards this wouldn’t have happened! And dealing with my dad in coma and hanging to life by a thread I now deal with this and having no car. So if I am called by the hospital telling me I must get there ASAP I can’t and could possibly miss my chance of saying goodbye to him if it comes down to this. Amica needs to admit to their fault. I can admit to mine that I didn’t get this cancellation notice until after 5/29/18 and it wasn’t due to them mailing it, it was due to family I live with not giving me my mail in a proper manner.

But Amica had no good reason on not placing the full bill amount on my dashboard and accepting me making only half the bill amount payment on 4/17/18 or showing I had no amount at all past due after making this payment. Never once attempting to call me to inform me of their poor billing system which goes good along with their poor communication skills. Then demand I begin a new policy that will cost me more and demand I pay a huge chunk upfront. Then totally avoid answering me on why they never communicated with me by a phone call or the fact their billing/dashboard was incorrect and change the subject to just demanding me they can only offer me a new policy and pay 20% upfront. And plus the fact too I will need to pay the RMV title fees due to having my insurance cancelled!

I truly feel Amica sees that I have carried insurance and drove in the last 12 years straight and those 12 years I have a perfect driving history with not one ticket, citation or pulled over etc and had only made five claims in 12 years to my insurance provider which 4 claims was glass and 1 being an auto accident that I wasn’t at fault for so the amount my insurance provider had paid out to me was given back to them from the person who was at faults insurance company. So Amica sees me as a person who can be taken advantage of. I’m a customer who will pay almost $1500 for the year to insure a car and most likely will not have to file a claim and be paid out any money making it more money given to their company and placed into their pockets that they get to walk away with.

So why not set up miscommunication with billing etc resulting in cancellation (legally they must send a cancellation notice and they probably hoped I was not to see it like I didn’t resulting in this outcome) so they could cancel my current policy and then totally ignore explaining any reasons why mistakes happened on their end, but just shove a “We can give you a new policy which will cost an extra $700 for the year due to you was cancelled for nonpayment and you must pay 20% down today to activate this new policy” all knowing they will most likely be able to walk away with everything I pay at the end of the year.

Why make only $1500 off me a year when it can be set up to where I’m forced to be told I have to pay $2600 a year making it much more they can pocket in the end. I feel I deserve from Amica an apology for their behalf having legit no communication, billing issues where their posted bill amounts do not match the amounts on Amica profile dashboard and not making one phone call to inform their customer that they are about to be cancelled over $100 and then continue to bill amounts and say bills are due on a policy that isn’t active. I deserve to also begin a new policy, but paying the same previous policy premium amount for the two cars I was to be paying and not be required to pay 20% down upfront since I will have no choice in paying out RMV title fees over their miscommunication skills.

Amica is a little over priced to begin with and they are almost $200-$300 more for me yearly than other companies I’ve looked into or have had, Arbella being one of them, but all my family members have very high things to say about Amica and I would love to feel the same, but at this moment it is just impossible. Arbella never would’ve done this to me in the ten years I had been insured with them. They always made sure the full bill amount matched the amount posted to be due online and if this had happen with them then they would’ve contacted me to inform me that there actually was still $100 past due and to pay immediately or give the option they roll over into the next months bill and require I pay the full bill amount.

I did receive a call from an Amica agent few days ago on Friday, but I was in the ICU with my dad and phones are required to be off and typically aren’t even allowed into the room even while off with you due to it can malfunction important machines they have being used on the patient. And it was after 6 pm I had gotten the voicemail along with it was the weekend.

Today I had again to be at the hospital/ICU due to we had to speak of potential arrangements if it comes down to that so I did forget to make the call back, but I plan to speak to the Amica agent tomorrow and I truly hope that Amica had her contact me to fix this and hopefully fix it the right way and not just demand I begin a new policy that will cost almost $500 more and I must pay 20% down upfront. Because honestly I have been not working along paying for child care, now the last week I have had to take public transportation which costs me well over $40 a day there and back. And will possibly have a 50/50 chance I will have to help my family pitch in paying these medical bills and if he gets better he’ll need physical therapy, more bills or passing away which paying for funeral costs is not cheap at all.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Heather. We understand that a representative has reached out to you several times regarding your concerns. If you’d like to continue the discussion, please reach out to us at 800-592-6422. Thank you.

Resolution response: June 23, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised to actually speak with a manager who explained the situation in Georgia and with my policy, in particular. I understand what happened and appreciated an honest accounting pertaining to my policy. Changes promised by the manager have been confirmed and I am quite happy with my premium.

I can see why Amica has always ranked high in customer service, not just with claims processing. Thank you!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have been an Amica auto, homeowner and umbrella customer in Georgia for 2 years. I just received notice for my renewals and was shocked by a 25%(>$400) increase in my homeowner premium. I've never filed any claims with any insurer since owning my house. No auto claims and no liability claims ever, either. I switched from Auto Owners to Amica because of high ratings by customers who've had claims processed. And THAT is what I believe my 25% increase is due to.

My inflation adjustment for my dwelling liability increased by 6%. But because Amica customers seem to get their claims paid in full, customers who never file claims have to subsidize those payouts.

I don't know if Amica realizes that this high increase in premium on top of already high premiums will drive away customers, leaving them with a smaller base of customers to spread the cost of payouts. Customers who stay with Amica would bear larger and larger premium increases as fewer and fewer customers bear the costs. You'd think that with fewer customers, there would be fewer claims, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that Amica's reliably good claims processing is attracting less desirable risk, while driving away less risky customers. While I could increase my deductible from $1,500 to $2,500, I would not save much on the premium. As a result, it's good practice to shop around for insurance among the Consumer Reports other highly rated insurers.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Naomi. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your name and contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: June 12, 2018

So, after a couple years with Amica Insurance I receive a letter stating they won’t renew my policy because of claims they paid involving; Towing, an accident where my wife and daughter were rear ended and other claim. I decided to go with them for Roadside Assistance. Amica made their Roadside program out to be better than AAA etc. I paid a fee for 5 cars yearly. My daughter had (8) tow claims which they paid but never sending me a letter or notice that there's a limit to claims. My wife and daughter were rear ended last August by an at FAULT driver, Amica chose to add that accident against my policy despite having the At FAULT INSUREDS insurance to go after. My wife got pretty hurt in that accident requiring her to have shoulder surgery from the seat belt of all things.

I lived up to my end of the contract by paying my premiums on time, touting Amica to others to switch over to them. Today (6/11) I get a letter stating they’re dropping me. Why the hell do I pay for Coverage from Amica when it appears the first order of business is to gladly take my premium money only to send me their version of a Dear John letter? I left another because I had faith in Amica. But in the end I’m one person who made the day of some actuarial, computing risk versus revenue and maybe saving Amica a few hundred dollars despite receiving close to $5K a year from me. I tried to look up my daughter's tow claims but found a few, two were for $48.90 each.

Just a month ago they sent me the forms for renewal to keep my "discounts" for my daughter's grades from college, Good Driving discounts etc. Oh by the way my 20 yr old daughter hasn't had an incident since having her license, we've had none in years. Eight tow claims for one car out of Five! Even if the genius actuarial averaged it out based on claims for the other cars that would be 1.6 claims per car. I had $305 in reductions! Not Charges for Merit ratings of all drivers on policy! In my mind someone messed up pretty good, thinking they're saving Amica a few dollars. They also have my house - NO CLAIMS! Thank God. I'm disgusted, very upset and have Zero Faith in Amica. I'll be contacting Mass. AG office and Insurance board especially about the deceptive practice of the Roadside assistance plan.

Updated on 06/12/2018: I was just called by the girl that said she was the one that made the decision not to renew my policy. I asked her; why are you even calling me? She replied she wanted to explain why she made the decision she did. I don't even remember her name, but she said she based it off of the "frequency" of claims made per household, in other words every time my daughter in college called for a jump start, tow etc. (things we were finally able to have figured out and repaired) it counted as a claim on the policy itself! This was something that was never explained to me, I replied; "I'm supposed to tell my daughter in college you have the confidence of Amica being there for you for roadside assistance but don't make too many calls because they'll use it against the household."

She said to me the average person makes a claim once every TEN years! I said, "I guess my family and I of seven are not the average, and, I guess having five cars in a household should up those odds significantly shouldn't it?" I said, "Despite what you're telling me that it isn't about just numbers and statistics and that you were the one responsible for nonrenewal of my policy I guess it is about numbers." I told her she has a lot to learn, she sounds young and in this world it's more than just numbers. Mailing out marketing material stating you're there for people and "it's all about helpfulness" is a crock. I asked her numerous times unless she's calling me to renew my policy I have nothing else to say, her reply was as arrogant as they come; "Well, we did review your policy and decided to hold with the nonrenewal". I said to her, "Thanks, have a nice day!"

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Richard. These decisions are not easy for us, and we understand that you’ve already spoken with someone about your policy. We are sorry we could not meet your insurance needs at this time. Thank you.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I currently have Amica & have had it for about 20 years! They are great! They have this payment savings, where you get a month off of a payment & get back a dividend check. However I don't like that they mention you need tow insurance for a tow before you need it! We had 2 cars last year & we are paying the same amount for the insurance as we did for 1 car. But overall, we like our insurance more than dislike. They have been good to us & have treated us fairly well. They respond to you very quickly when you have a problem.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We were with this company for 10 years, 3 cars, plus homeowners, and lately renters. My driving record almost impeccable. They dare to raise our policy in $2,000 in less than a year because my mother had an accident and because I also got involved in an accident, which was absolutely not my fault. I was going to file a claim with the insurance department, but an expert advised us not to bother and just switched to a different company, which we did, for an even better coverage, and half the price. I should have done this a year ago. We would have saved money. No wonder why Amica is not on JD Power's website any longer. They were once, when we enrolled, but they are going down the hill big time.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We had insured with State Farm for many years with no complaints, but when an Amica-covered driver knocked my husband off his bike, wrecking the bike and injuring his shoulder, we were so impressed with Amica's scrupulous coverage and careful treatment, we decided to switch our coverage to them. We've never regretted our decision.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Barbara. We're pleased to hear that you had a great experience with Amica. Thank you for trusting us with your insurance needs! -KD

Original review: May 25, 2018

Got ad in mail from Amica that I was preselected because of my good driving and just one of 25 people could get that nice offer. Quoted price was more than three times higher than I'm paying now! Are you kidding me? Don't waste your time! More than $300 for two cars per months while my current rate is $130. No, thank you! And yes, I checked several times if I entered something wrong or got much better coverage!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Yuri. We’d be happy to review your quote with you. If you’re interested, please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: May 22, 2018

I must make this a synopsis, b/c I have already spent way too much time dealing with poor customer service from Amica. After being a customer for at least 10 years making regular on time payments for car insurance I find that Amica does not actually support or care for their customers when it comes down to it. In between final payment of previous policy and renewal we experienced mail/billing issues. When I realized we missed two payments (finally receiving a bill) I paid half immediately and waited to pay the rest of the payment ($275.00) two weeks later, after getting paid. I made the final payment to catch up on Feb. 18, online. When I received a bill in mid March for $24.20, I thought it was odd and called to discuss with CS. I was informed at that time that we were cancelled on 2/16 due to non payment. ($275) We had unknowingly been driving around uninsured for over a month!! Without any notification from Amica.

They swear that they sent numerous letters and made phone calls - never received a word! Now I am dealing with 3 MVA suspension fines that they are sorry they can't help me with. I have never had a worse experience with an insurance company. They may claim to be the best in customer service but when it comes down to it, all they care about is money, just like all the rest of insurance companies. I can't imagine if you suddenly fell ill or had to deal with a life event. This was a simple billing/mail issue that I attempted to remedy as soon as I realized the problem. They cancelled us for less than $300 outstanding bill and then never bothered to tell us we were cancelled, but you better believe they notified the MVA!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Heather. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: May 18, 2018

Amica was very fair with the settlement we received. No bickering at all. As a policyholder with underage drivers it's worth having my Homeowners policy with them to not only keep premiums down but compared to other insurance providers they are much more reasonable with rates for our young drivers. My wife and I also take a online driver's exam every three years to help keep our rates down. The exam helps keep us in the know with changing technology in cars and also changing state driving laws that affect our driving habits. I was told by consumer guru "Clark Howard" Amica was one of the top rated insurance providers and they have proved that to me so far. Their policy seems to be one you can trust.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Rickey. We're thrilled to hear that you're happy with your insurance! Thank you for taking the time to post this kind review.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Amica is the only company that does not seem to price gouge you! Not looking to pocket extra money for themselves. Also, I like it because of the low price and they give you a month no payment.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Service is great but pricey. Homeowners claim one time was handled great. Hail damage... Everything replaced. Other companies didn't help neighbors at all. Associates are knowledgeable and helpful. Support is friendly, timely and the staff advocates for the best possible outcome.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Sally. Thank you so much for your kind review! Customer service is our top priority, so we’re thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Original review: May 16, 2018

My parents have been long time customers of Amica auto and home and everything insurance. They recommended Amica Auto Insurance to me as being reliable. My dad is also an avid consumer reports user- Amica is highly rated there. My experience with Amica has been the complete opposite of pleasant. I got into an accident a year ago where a lady hit the left side of my car by driving past a stop sign while I was driving on the main road. Amica paid out for car repairs and I also got my $1000 deductible back from the opposing driver's insurance company. I was deemed not at fault and thought everything was peachy keen- you know because subrogation is now on the insurance company. WRONG. I move to a different state and start shopping around for insurance companies. FYI, Amica does NOT allow employers to hop on as additional insured/interest. So I had no choice but to leave.

I call Amica up again wanting to confirm that they definitely cannot add them as an additional insured and lo and behold they can, BUT they quoted me DOUBLE. The agent said he could not recommend their policy to me despite the quote he just pulled because it is $400/month and he wouldn't even pay that much. So from all of this, I find out that I have a ding on MY record for an accident that Amica clearly documents was not my fault at all and where Amica was supposed to go through the subrogation process to get their payout back from the opposing driver's insurance. I will be on Amica's shoulders making sure that they carry this situation forward to either erase that ding they threw onto my head (which is ruining my ability to get a decent quote from other insurers) OR report them to the insurance consumer governmental database for the state where I was insured.

FYI If you want to see how many claims have been submitted, do the following- Google search: complaint ratio + insurance + state and click on the link for a consumer index for complaints against insurers. See how many times Amica pops up. The state of California also rates insurance companies- Google search for their ratings. Amica needs to deflate its ego a bit and perform to the standards and high reviews it allegedly gets. Reviews, alone, are not enough. Consumers will shop around and will leave you.

If I were you, I would stay away from Amica. They do not provide much support during the claims process- you will be acting as your own claims agent to remind their agents to do their work. They will not keep you updated- again, they expect you to call them constantly. Also stay away from Progressive. If Satan ever had car insurance, it would be Progressive.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Amrit. We’d like to discuss this with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information so that we can have someone get in touch with you? Thank you. -CB

Original review: May 16, 2018

Amica seemed like a great company and we were really happy with their rates... at first. We signed up in July 2016- our homeowner's premiums were $3,149, in 2017 they went to $4,011, and then the renewal we just received was for $5,265- over $2,000 in premium increases in two years with NO CLAIMS FILED. Our auto also went up approximately $400 on the renewal quote for next year. Fortunately I was able to find a reasonable company who apparently doesn't hold everyone else's claims against me- and cancel my policies with Amica. I can't even imagine what my renewals would have looked like if I had ever had to file a claim.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Brianna, thanks for your feedback. We’re always listening at Amica, so we’ve passed your feedback along and wish you all the best in the future. Thank you. – KD

Original review: May 15, 2018

Amica is supposed to be the number one in customer service. Well let me tell you they are not. I have had the worse experience with them. I have been recently divorced and Amica refuses to recognize it. In my divorce it says we are responsible for our own insurance. I called Amica and explained the divorce stating that I wanted to separate my insurance. It has been a NIGHTMARE. My ex-husband refused to answer the phone so Amica refused to take me out of the policy. What if he had been in an accident and killed someone? I would be liable for that. I am no longer married and yet they required me to pay for my ex-husband's insurance. They were rude, disrespectful, and downright cruel on the phone with me. I will never recommend Amica to anyone.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We don’t like to hear this, Alice, and we’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your preferred contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you. –KD

Original review: May 11, 2018

We have been with Amica for over three decades. When we check the competition, we find no reason to change. When we filed a claim, all we did was phone them. They told us where it would be repaired. Since it was able to get there without a tow, we dropped it off. Amica had a rental car waiting. Then we were called when repair was complete. We never paid for any of this. And after our one big claim, we were not dropped. Our rates, and discounts, did not change. In addition, they are always patient when we want to discuss coverage and rates. They offer suggestions to save us $$, and clearly explain risks. Also they were never pushy or in a hurry. So we will probably never change!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thank you for trusting us with your insurance needs for the past 30 years. We really appreciate your loyalty and your kind review. -KD

Original review: May 10, 2018

Although I've always been very satisfied with Amica and their customer service, their rates just seem to keep going up. I have Auto (4 cars), home and umbrella policy and have recently compared it to other companies and Amica was consistently $1300 more per year vs. 3 other comparable companies. No claims in several years (7+), clean auto record as well. I called to see what could be done and other than raising my deductibles, I was offered no other solution. Best they could say was that if there was an auto claim, original manufacturer parts would be used vs. non-OEM. While that is certainly a value, I can't say it's enough to keep me w/ Amica.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We saw your review, Donna, and have passed your comments along. We appreciate your loyalty over the years and hope to continue our relationship with you. If you’d like to discuss further, please call us at any time. -KD

Amica Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Amica Auto Insurance was founded in 1907 and is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States. They scored an A++ rating from A.M. Best Company.

• Wide coverage range: Amica offers a complete range of coverage options, from vehicle, passenger, liability and comprehensive packages.

• Nationwide: Amica has 44 offices across the country, making them easy to contact and get support from.

• Discounts: They offer a number of great discounts, including those for people with multiple cars, as well as loyalty discounts for customers who stay with them over time.

• No new car loss depreciation deduction: They offer no deduction for depreciation when a new vehicle is declared a total loss within the first year of owning it.

• Roadside assistance: Amica also offers towing and labor coverage on the roadside to help drivers deal with unexpected breakdowns. They will also reimburse you for calling a towing company.

• Best for: Drivers with new cars and drivers with cars in poor condition.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky