2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.62/5

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Despite only recently coming on the national stage, many customers have been with Amica for more than two decades. The online-remote model allows for reduced prices, and the company has won awards for customer service and claims response. Customers like the availability of umbrella policies and multi-plan discounts.

PROS

• Ranked No. 1 by JD Power
  • Often allow you to pick your repair shop
  • Convenient online portal for sign up and claims
  • Offers other types of insurance all in one place
  • No depreciation deduction

CONS

• Some customers experienced a rate increase
  • No local agents

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Amica Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 25, 2020

I’ve used Amica for decades for home, auto, and umbrella. The customer service is great, everyone is professional and friendly, and issues are solved immediately. Their underwriting is pretty strict, so I’ve heard. However, I think that is a good thing. My friend is with a big company that will insure just about anyone. When claims are made, they are bounced around between reps, deal with rude employees, and subjected to long waiting times to get anything done. I told them to switch to Amica!

At times they are more expensive but they also don’t continually raise rates every six months. Like anything, you get what you pay for. I don’t mind paying a small bit extra for superior service and coverage. The one time I had a claim, for hail damage on my roof, it was dealt with quickly. No hassles. The company they recommended did great work. All I can say to Amica is - Please don’t change & become one of those big, cheap, inefficient, and indifferent companies.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thanks for taking the time to write this kind review, Christie! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I have never written a review for a company of which I am not a customer yet. But I want to share my experience in case you are shopping for a car insurance company that provides excellent claim services. My car (an old BMW) parked in the garage of a shopping mall was hit by a teenage driver who is a customer of Amica. First of all, Amica assigned a dedicated claim service representative (Megan). That's a big plus to me! Have you ever experienced talking to different customer service representatives and had to repeatedly tell your stories? Not the case here. Megan has always been responsive and resolved several issues professionally during the repair process that lasted almost 30 days. For example, when a used part could not be found within a reasonable time frame, Megan immediately approved a new part. I am with another insurance company right now. Will I consider Amica when I renew my insurance? Yes!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Wayne. Thank you for your kind review! Customer service is our top priority, so we're thrilled to hear that you feel this way. We hope you have an excellent day!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

It baffles me how reps get nasty or haughty. This happened to me on 10/19/2019. Called to change insurance (my decision) and got this awful rep.; told me several blatant lies: It was 4:00 and there were no supervisors there to document a "letter of experience" - it wasn't even 4 o'clock yet. She would submit request and someone hopefully, would get to it on the next business day. A 'letter of experience" take time.

I listened to her babble and then called back. I was connected to Ron **. He was polite and exceptionally well versed while in conversation with me. His knowledge of my situation was above reproach and greatly needed at this time. He accomplished the task at hand and my letter was emailed within 15 minutes. This young man is an primary example of what customer service should be; I'm overjoyed and relieved to know that there are reps, that not only know their job but take pride in what they do. My hat is off to Ron **!!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Perry. Thanks you for taking the time to write this review and providing your feedback. We’ve passed your feedback along. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

AMICA is a little known strictly an online insurance company. "Consumer Reports "consistently rates AMICA number one or number two in the Country. I've been a client for over ten years and have founds their rates extremely competitive, their Customer Service beyond reproach, and their various coverages extensive. One caution though, when I first applied they were very careful to see if I qualified for their policies. In other words, they maintain such good rates and outstanding service by carefully selecting who they will or will not insure.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I have switched car insurance and now I've been with Amica the longest. Love everything. The rates, customer service. I receive good advice through my email. I provided them holiday cards reminders. Roadside service is great. The other offers I do not need yet.

Original review: June 21, 2020

I submitted a water damage claim and all estimates to Amica last fall. They deemed the issue mold and said they would only cover $10,000. While every contractor has said it was caused by wind driven rain. I have removed windows, fixed water damage and am virtually complete. I am out $64,000. My attorney is involved and we have sent the same estimates 1/2 dozen times. Still no resolve. After being with Amica for 30 years. This is not the same company, their rates have sky rocketed and service is horrible. Had no choice but to fix the house. They could care less.

Original review: May 26, 2020

I been getting 2 to 3 emails per day from this company. I was told to send an email to their customer service and they would stop the emails and nothing. I’ve sent them 2 to 3 emails asking to please stop the annoying emails and nothing. The emails come in a way that I can’t unsubscribe or blocked them. I can’t stand it and therefore I’m writing this review. I will never use them for car insurance and I’ll tell people and family not to use them as well.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Fred. Per your request, we've removed you from our mailing list. You will no longer receive emails from us. Thank you.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I trusted great Web reviews and switched to AMICA last year for lower rates. Well, their application process was quite a gauntlet--lots of fuss and bother about details and verification. Now less than a year later, I get renewal notices that my auto insurance is being raised over 10%! And my home insurance nearly 20%!! Because of "market changes" in Maryland! Well, they're no longer even competitive in Maryland, let alone a bargain. And lucky for me Maryland requires a separate disclosure of rate hikes, because I would not have spotted it, having trouble even finding their Declarations pages buried in the wads of paperwork they sent.

As for their reputedly great service, when I called to double-check on these rate hikes, the smug kid on the phone responds to my complaint, "It's nothing personal." Well, it's personal to me. I feel fooled by a false reputation and disgruntled having to start all over looking for competitive rates in my "Maryland market"--which, by the way, I found on my first phone inquiry. AMICA is in business to serve itself, not you, seems to me.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi John. We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way, and we’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I never realized how overpriced Amica is. I just leased a new car and my policy went up again, so I decided it was time to look into new policies. I am now saving $70 a month by switching. After I called to cancel my policy I was told I would be getting a refund check for my policies up until the day I cancelled, and that billing would stop immediately. Three days later I was charged from them again, and they are refusing to refund the money. When I spoke to them they claimed I still owed them money for my policy, even though I no longer have coverage. One person I spoke to was shocked that I had set up a payment with Autopay directly from my bank, stating she didnt know Amica offered that service. I am so glad I cancelled, I wish I had done it sooner. Now, I just hope they return my stolen money.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I have been with Amica 5 years and Amica has never paid out on a claim. On this year's premium, 2020, they have increased my premium 36%, the highest that the insurance regulators for Colorado will allow. When I asked why they did this, I was told, "We can do whatever we want."

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Candace. We understand that you’ve had ongoing discussions with the manager of our Denver office regarding your concerns. If you have any outstanding questions or worries, we encourage you to contact them directly so they may be able to assist you. Thank you.

Amica Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This auto insurance company is fairly new but has a reputation for affordable car insurance. The company has an A+ rating for financial strength from AM Best. Customers enjoy several free benefits with every policy, including lock replacement, air bag repair and depreciation protection. Auto insurance is already priced affordably, but customers still can qualify for several discounts.

• Coverage and plans: Amica offers standard insurance options in line with state requirements. It also has optional add-ons, including identity fraud monitoring, full glass coverage and rental coverage.

• Cost: Generally, Amica auto insurance is cheap. A 25-year-old single female can expect to pay about $900 a year, or $75 per month.

• Discounts: Amica has discounts for paperless billing, auto-pay, upfront payments, loyalty, bundling and being claims-free.

• Standout feature: Amica’s Platinum Choice Auto plan bundles some great upgrades, including accident forgiveness, identity fraud monitoring, rental coverage and full glass coverage.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor