Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.45/5

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

238 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 27, 2019

Received an advertisement in my email from Amica stating "Switch to Amica and you could save an average of $596!" And seeing how I was in the market for a cheaper insurance I gave it a try. Oh my God, I could not believe the quote they came up with. It was $2,697 for 6 months, with a $1000 deductible, that is $5,394 a year on a 2008 Ford Edge that is paid for. I was so blown I had to speak with an online representative to express my feelings. I have been with GEICO for 11 years, my payments are $505 for 6 months with a $250 deductible, that is $1,010 a year. I needed them to explain to me how they came up with that number. Needless to say, they couldn't. All I can say is buyer beware, especially after reading these reviews.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Pamela. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: June 16, 2019

I have been a member of Amica for 10+ years and have been more than happy with the support that I have always received. This evening however I had an urgent change which I needed to make and when I contacted Amica I was completely blown off. I was advised that their systems were down for maintenance so they were unable to access accounts. I have never heard of such a thing at any business anywhere, especially not an underwriting type business where customers have an expectation of high availability. My customer service interaction this evening (via chat) was so bad that I have to say it seriously damaged my trust in this company. I even asked about filing a complaint and she blew me off (Told me to call back tomorrow!).

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your name and contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have had this insurance for over 8 years, had only one claim for a minor fender-bender over 5 years ago. Recently, I started to use the road side assistance offered by this insurance company, mind you, I always had this as part of the package but never took advantage of it. All of a sudden I get a letter in the mail that my policy is being dropped, not because I have any accident claims, but because I used the road side assistance 5 times in 3 years. So helping to open your car door or jump your battery is apparently a big crime with them, even though we have 5 cars in our policy and we have not even had a minor fender-bender in the last 4 years! I think it is a Fraudulent company, if they can take payments for our 2 homes and 5 cars for 8 years and turn around and drop me for using your road side assistant without prior warning!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Melody. Please know that we review each policy on a case-by-case basis and these decisions are never easy for us. We understand you spoke with a representative regarding your concerns. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please let us know and we can have a representative reach out to you. Thank you.

Original review: May 8, 2019

When leasing a new vehicle, I called to add the vehicle to my policy and was told my insurance premiums would be less because of the newer safety features on the vehicle. A month later I received my billing statement and discovered that the premiums went up by $300. I called and was told they were less for that car but apparently there was just a general renewal rate hike. We’ve been customers for since 2003 and have our home and umbrella policies with Amica. No claims, ever. So disappointed. Time to shop around!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Rhonda. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have had Amica for almost a year. I thought they were doing good. I paid my monthly premium and was never late not that matters any way. I had a very bad home invasion where everything in my home was taken of value. The insurance adjuster who came was very nice but asked a lot of questions like for example how I paid for any of my belongings I had and the stuff that was stolen. I don’t know why though because I know what I had and I paid for my stuff. Anyway as the claim process goes I had to speak to a claims specialist. I have never done such before. The person I spoke to name Tamara was beyond rude right from the beginning. Not to mention I’m still very shaken about what happened to me and my home.

Well it’s been nearly 2 months still my claim isn’t resolved and is open. Nobody returns my calls nor reach out to me except to have a this meeting called a sworn statement. Now I assume they are making accusations like I didn’t have my items or something. They made me bring my bank statements, tax returns, even my mom’s obituary which I haven’t looked at since the funeral. I was asked a lot of questions that made me feel like dirt. Then the man asked to play with my phone and log into my Apple account on his computer for some reason then he asked questions about my family and their finances like they’re the ones who got robbed. This is one of the worst experiences I ever encountered.

All of this horrible treatment and for what? Then I found out the adjuster who came to my home took pictures of me after I told him not to. I saw them when I met to do the sworn statement that was being recorded and this process was 4 hours long. Questions after questions and invading my privacy all in my phone and I seriously believe this was because of my race and the adjuster took my picture on purpose to show my race all in the beginning. Run. This company is not a fair place of business. Don’t trust them. Oh and after the man played with my phone it never worked properly again. I had to get another so I don’t know what he did but it’s on tape. They can see what he did but I don’t know. You have been warned!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 25, 2019

I’ve been with Amica before for years and was really happy to be on board with them again. The policy offerings are pretty solid and I have a good friend in the insurance industry who had a not at fault accident with them years ago and they went above and beyond for her to make it stress free by taking control of the claim and increasing her rental allowance. I don’t shop insurance on price first, its claims handling first then the most competitively priced in that same category second. I carry $500k CSL which is higher than average and was planning on purchasing an Umbrella. Things were good until recently when I traded in my Volvo for a newer Audi that was purchased for $22k, not an expensive car.

I called Amica a couple of days before making the purchase and provided all the details so that I could find out how it would impact my premium. I was told the impact was going to be about $20 a month or just over $200 annually. That sounded right to me. I previously went from a Toyota Corolla to the Volvo S60 and that was about the difference. I purchase the vehicle and two weeks later, while sitting at a complete rested stop at a traffic light, a young gentleman rear ends me having been distracted and not realizing traffic was stopped. I still have dealer tags on my car, so I take a deep breath as I collect myself. It took a few minutes to pull over so that we could exchange information.

My car being under warranty I call Audi manufacturer line to find out what they recommend in order to ensure the work doesn’t void my warranty and where to go to get the car fixed by their standards. They were awesome! Next, I decide that I really preferred to file under my own policy because I’ve read it front to finish and I’m with Amica for exactly the moment I was in. I have a fairly new car that I just bought, under warranty and I wanted to know I could take it to the right repair shop and have new parts, not used placed into the vehicle. I was hit pretty hard and the car was almost totaled. I felt confident that Amica would live up to the terms of their policy, act in good faith and really get the job done.

I was wrong. They really didn’t want to take control of the claim and tried to pursued me against it. I was confused, told them I would pay the deductible, even if I didn’t get it back (they were saying that was likely) because I wanted my car repaired correctly. This is the worst time to be in an accident and I want the least stressful path forward. I just bought this car and don’t even have the plates yet. Car buying is stressful enough, now this. They were making it sound like Geico was going to try and skirt liability. The kid who hit me was very cooperative so I didn’t think we would have a problem. I called Geico to let them know I needed them to expedite the process as I was wanting to file through my insurer and subrogate. It was a very straightforward case, Geico accepted 100% fault within hours but I then had to get Amica to come to terms with that and pick up the sticks.

Basically the collision shop, Audi and Geico helped me navigate that, getting Amica to accept first party and kick into gear because Amica didn’t want to do it. From there they (Amica) became very adversarial with me, not wanting to help, ignoring my concern about my neck pain, time off work 1 day. They only actually believed me a little on the neck pain after getting the rundown on the damages to me car. They were still the opposite of helpful. My claims adjuster left me an annoyed voicemail about the Audi tech being out sick for 5 days and my refusing to let them 3rd party the major body work on my car to a mechanic that didn’t usually work on Audi’s. I only found out after he was out for 3 days and felt justified in my refusal. She told me I would be responsible out of pocket for the rental car expenditures and anything over.

I work in insurance so I know ultimately how most of this works and knew that thing were out of whack by this point with Amica. I would have been treated much more fairly if I would have gone through Geico as the not at fault party. Instead Amica was treating me exactly as I feared Geico would have. They were treating me like I was not their insured and like I was at fault. So weird!!!! So at this point I have to ask Geico for help. They are the one on the hook for the payout so I let them know about the mechanic and ask them if they are going to give me the business on my out of pocket rental expense seeing as I did delay the repairs by at least 2 days for when the mechanic was out and then maybe some more since they were backed up.

Geico spent a lot of time and care helping me understand the subrogation process and who pays what. They told me the repair shop was ongoing to end up paying for the rental costs for those days I mentioned if it goes over the max they are required to pay by state law. I’m only responsible for anything over 30 days that they actually worked in my car, those 5 days don’t count. I felt so much better. Geico called the shop and my car amazingly was done by the estimated date which was 3-4 weeks. Next big mess up for Amica - I go to pick up my car and I have to pay $1,000 deductible. What? I did all the work for them to get Geico to accept liability in order to not owe my deductible. I have a line of people trying to pick up their car so I just pay it.

Amica admitted that it should have been paid either to me or the shop and they dropped the ball. The eventually EFT me the money. Thank goodness I’m not living paycheck to paycheck. It’s one thing when you know you owe a deductible and another when you were assured that you wouldn’t. Finally with Amica - my insurance has gone up almost $1k annually just because I bought this new car and it’s 5 times the amount they told me when I was crunching the numbers to purchase it. The difference in value between the cars is less than $10k more than the one it was replacing. They told me this is because of how expensive Audi’s are to repair and how long it takes to repair them, BS. They are that but Volvo’s are just as bad.

I was led to believe that Amica is more than comfortable insuring people in the mid to high income bracket so this just doesn’t make sense. They had already hinted at a large rate increase due to the not at fault accident which isn’t legal in Texas but they said rates were just going up. So I get my first EFT since purchasing the vehicle and my monthly payment increased by $73 that’s almost a 50% increase in premium when I have a fairly good driving record, credit and honest dealing on my end. I just want to know what they will do to improve their standards so this doesn’t happen to the next person in my situation. Your claims handling is your product and you shouldn’t treat your insureds like the enemy for loving you so much that they want you to handle the claim.

The one thing Amica certainly didn’t do was handle my claim. I did by fiercely advocating for myself at every turn with the repair shop and Geico ultimately came through and provided me peace of mind that they weren’t going to give us a hard time on the subrogation payments. They use the same shop and repairs and handling were reasonable. They put the repair shop in their place when Amica wouldn’t. Then Amica came in and adjusted up my rate midterm with the excuse that my car is difficult to repair. They were held to the terms of their policy, they had to allow me certain parts and certified Audi repairs but they fought me at every chance.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Lesli. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and claim number and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I started insuring with Amica in 1980 and accepted their consistently higher prices in return for what was definitely better service and courteous, personal service. But Amica seems to be slipping - for example they treated me like a completely new customer when moving from one state to another, requiring a credit report - even though I pay by bank transfer. They failed to collect premiums on one of our rental properties, with a mailed threat of policy termination rather than a phone call; they put the wrong address on forms for landlords policies; and new matters have gone without a response, requiring a call to re-state the original request, among others.

Currently I am in a discussion with John, a manager of theirs who claims Amica "never received" a form I returned in 2013 to obtain an alarm system discount - the manager tried to breeze past my concern about credit for prior years and I have a sinking feeling that despite Amica's recent mistakes, they will claim it was mine. I really want to remain a customer of Amica, there is still a lot they do right. Let's see how they resolve the current matter, I will report back here. And lesson learned: Keep copies of EVERYTHING you send them.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Robert. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I recently quoted insurance w/ Amica. They found one accident where my insurance company found I was not at fault. A comprehensive claim from an accident with a deer. They told me that due to these two, I was higher risk. The rates they quoted higher and limited property damage coverage and medical as well. I don't see much to like about this insurance company. Their dollar limit for a "chargeable" accident is only $500 vs Nationwide @ $1800 whether it's your fault or not. I was looking at moving my cars and house over. I can't imagine the hassle if I actually had a claim. No thank you!

Resolution response: March 29, 2019

The representative called and addressed my concern and fixed the problem. Very helpful.

It is sad that them problem I called about will require I call annually to correct.

Original review: March 28, 2019

There was a day when I thought your customer service was excellent however these days the customer service and response time from your supervisors is sinful. One specifically Nakisha extension **. She does not return the calls of customers with excellent ratings and long tenure. Your management has changed and no longer values their customers.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to us with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: March 28, 2019

A car (insured by Amica Mutual) hit my car as they did not stop at the stop sign. It was the other driver's fault. I contacted Amica mutual and opened a claim. They came in and estimated the car as total loss. It took few weeks and then offered a very low amount (1980$ for a total loss of a Camry 2005). I talked over the phone to discuss the amount they are offering and the agent advised me to collect proof of all the work I have done in the past 12 months and to do a survey of all the similar cars in the market. I spent over 6 hours to prepare all the documents. The survey of nearby cars took a long time as I had to put together a description of each car I find along with the price and a link to the page. The lowest price I found in the market was 5000$ (out of 11 surveyed cars- which is all I could find).

After three weeks of sending the documents, the agent got back to me and offered an extra 100$ on the top of the price that she initially offered (now offering 2080). They really have no respect for my time and efforts. On the top of that, the agent did not inform me regarding the date I need to return the rental car. I found out later that I am past due and I had to pay out of my pocket. I just hired an attorney to take care of this as the stress they added to my life is unbearable. I would never recommend them to anybody. Really really terrible customer service.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Imad. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Amica Auto Insurance Company Information