Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
1.64/5

Amica Auto Insurance

Amica sells home, life and auto insurance policies. They're not a verified partner of the InsuraMatch program at this time. Save time and call InsuraMatch to get quotes from all their partner insurance companies at once. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Despite only recently coming on the national stage, many customers have been with Amica for more than two decades. The online-remote model allows for reduced prices, and the company has won awards for customer service and claims response. Customers like the availability of umbrella policies and multi-plan discounts.

PROS

• Ranked No. 1 by JD Power
  • Often allow you to pick your repair shop
  • Convenient online portal for sign up and claims
  • Offers other types of insurance all in one place
  • No depreciation deduction

CONS

• Some customers experienced a rate increase
  • No local agents

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

229 Amica Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Despite not having submitted a single claim (other than very infrequent windshield replacement), nor any moving violations or other negative marks, Amica has consistently raised our Auto Insurance rates by $400 annually. There are only 2 drivers - my spouse and I, on 2 vehicles - both purchased new in 2014. In 2018-Dec, we were notified that Amica is switching us from a 12-month policy to a 6-month policy. This decision offers the policyholder NOTHING but gives a great advantage to Amica to revisit rates 2x per year. After being a loyal customer for 10+ years, I can no longer afford to insure with Amica and am seeking new coverage elsewhere.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your name and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I am a customer of Amica. I purchased a used pick up truck on 11/17/18. After completing all the paperwork I contacted Amica again to make sure they provided coverage on my "new" truck.” I write "again" because I called & spoke with one of their reps prior to purchasing to see what I needed to do to make sure I had coverage when I left the lot. I spoke to R. ** & he informed me that the dealership needed to provide a bill of sale OR sales window sticker before they would issue me an insurance card & provide coverage. He explained to me that if we didn't do this we would have had to have the vehicle inspected. Since we provided the info he released the cards & informed me we were good to go & were all set. FYI, the dealership would also not allow me to leave without the insurance card to show my coverage so obviously this was very important.

The dealership immediately emailed the bill of sale to R ** & he responded with emailing back the insurance card/cards to the dealership who then handed them to me. Fast forward to 12/6/18 I received a certified letter from Amica reading that they had suspended my "physical damage coverage" & that I was no longer insured for physical damage to my ("your") car. The letter went on to read that "The coverage will be restored when your vehicle has been inspected." Imagine my surprise to receive this letter since I was told by R ** on 11/17 that I was "good to go", that my premium would increase a bit, which I understood, & I would receive an email stating the additional amount due in a couple of weeks. I have since received that email.

I called Amica on 12/8 & spoke to William ** & explained how I had received the letter. I also explained to him that I was frustrated & upset to receive the letter after I had been told the above info from R **. He informed me that there was no record of anyone receiving any of this information but that if I could send him the bill of sale this would waive the "suspension". On the same day, 12/8 I emailed William ** the "Retail Installment Sale Contract" which I was told was not what he was looking for. I told him all of the paperwork I had from the transaction & he wrote I could send him a "BOC" or the window sticker & this would take care of what they needed. I asked what a BOC was & he said a bill of sale.

Since I didn't have anything that read "bill of sale" I went to the dealership the next day (12/9), which I shouldn't have had to do since I already was told this was taken care of, to get a copy of what was sent on 11/17 to R ** originally. The dealership rep remembered me & what they had to do for Amica because they claimed they never had to do this with any other insurance company even though it had been more than 3-weeks since I was there. They pulled up the email & printed out the bill of sale which I then emailed to William ** on 12/8 at 4:45pm. By the way, the "bill of sale" they printed & said they emailed was a form I did have called a "Buyers Order Agreement". Not sure where the BOC comes from but anyway...this is the same form which R ** responded was what he was looking for on 11/17 so he could release the insurance cards.

This was when I spoke to him on the phone at the dealership to make sure it was what he was looking for from us. William ** finally responded to me 2-days later on 12/10 at 5:58pm to ask me to forward him the response email from R ** from 11/17. Instead of telling me he received the bill of sale from me, that everything was good & that my insurance was no longer suspended by them, he wanted a copy of the email response from R **? Here I am with what they're telling me is suspended coverage when I need to drive my vehicle! He's more interested in receiving a forwarded email from one of his cohorts!!! I need to know my insurance coverage is reinstated!!!

On 12/11 8:14am I forwarded William ** the email response to me from R ** that contained the insurance cards, which I had already received from him through the dealership when I went back there to talk to them about this whole episode. Yesterday, 12/12 at 9:12am I gain sent another email to William ** to say that now that I have sent the bill of sale am I all set (again???)? As of this time I still have not received confirmation from William **, or ANY Amica rep for that matter, that I again have full coverage!!! I would venture to say stay away from Amica if this is how they treat their "customers". I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point other than write this review to alert others.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Joe. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I am an AMICA auto policy holder. I recently had an accident which was not my fault. AMICA covered the claim under my uninsured motorist coverage. The repairs were over $19,000. After the car was repaired I got an appraisal from a certified auto appraiser who stated the "diminished value" cost on my car was $8,000 because it had such a large repair bill and folks would pay less for my car now because of it. AMICA offered me $2300 without ever hiring an appraiser but by using some ridiculous and illegal method whereby they used a formula to come up with the amount. I now have to sue them to get the rest of my money. Awful experience -- already going to terminate my coverage with them.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Bruce. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. We’ll have a representative contact you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

If I could give zero stars, I would. We spoke with a representative [Michael **] and he got us set up for a policy on a house we're planning to close on. We waited for confirmation on the policy, and waited, and waited. As the closing date approached, we received a call from him saying to give him a call back, no big deal. We did, no return call. Tried multiple times over the next four days. Nothing. Sent emails, called again. Find out through another call [again still can't get a hold of Michael] that they just need confirmation that we'll handle a small bit of leftover mold [which our inspector said was not a problem] within 30 days of closing. Sure thing! We'll handle that. Meanwhile, our loan officer is trying to get a hold of them as well to finalize details. Finally get a call TWO DAYS before closing to hear they will not be able to insure us. Thanks AMICA for making home buying so stressful! We'll be sure to let everyone know how "helpful" you are.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Lauren. This is not the experience we want you to have and we’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative get in touch with you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Amica increased my auto insurance premium by $80.00 for 2019. Perfect driving record; no tickets and no accident claims ever paid for on my policy. I have been with them for a while now. Reached out to customer service; she basically said "oh well, 80.00 is not a lot of money anyway". Time to go looking for auto insurance!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amica Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Really ripped me off. I called Oct 27 to lower my premium for the month of November. The sales rep said it was too late in the month to change the policy for November, but it would be applied to December. I was charged my higher rate for November, and not my lower rate for my new premium until today. However, I was rear ended two weeks ago and they have charged this new premium is applied to the month of November even though I paid the higher amount. Basically, I get less even though I paid more. Their excuse over the phone was "The bill was already sent out." But they don't bill retroactively! This makes no sense. Don't go with Amica, they are blatantly trying to get your money.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Courtney. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I began auto and home insurance for my family with Amica in1977. Throughout our time with the company we were loyal and highly responsible drivers and owners and I was solely responsible for recommending Amica to no less than 20 friends shopping for insurance. Without consultation or notice, one day in 1997 we received a letter stating that they were dropping us. No recourse. Since then I am happy to say that when I’m asked about auto and homeowner's insurance (and I’ve been asked at least 100 times since then). I tell people ACBA - Any Company But Amica!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

We have been with Amica for a dozen years but will be leaving them based on our bad experience with an underinsured motorist claim. Our son was just 19 when he was rear ended by a drunk driver traveling 55 mph. He had tears to the disks in his neck and now lives with chronic neck pain. Amica’s adjuster never even asked to meet our son or even speak with him or any witnesses who know how this injury has hurt him so much. They offered only a pittance for what will be a lifetime of neck pain. They use to be a caring company but not anymore.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Rich. This is not the experience we want you to have. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name, claim number and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been with AMICA for auto and home insurance for 15+ years. Today I received a letter without any consultation or notice that my auto insurance will not be renewed due to claims history. I have 5 cars insured other than 2 accidents one of which was minor. The other claims were for windshield damage. As a long time customer, this is a pretty bad business decision. I would never recommend them to anyone. The word will be spread and I look forward to a relationship with a new company. They never even mentioned my house in their letter. I'm glad they considered my homeowners when they rendered their decision. Based on my experience do not insure with them.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi William. Please know that we review each policy on a case-by-case basis and these decisions are never easy for us. We’ve passed your feedback along and wish you all the best in the future. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have been an Amica customer for 30 years but will be switching my insurance. One, they were inching up the replacement value on my home year by year. How am I suppose to know the replacement value. That is not the same as market value. I ended up getting money back for the current year only after they brought the value down by almost $80K. The replacement value is now $170K so they were that much too high.

Two, they upped my auto rate for opening two credit accounts. One for new tires and the other at home depot but never used. I have a perfect credit rating and they do not take that into account when submitting their formula to the state. I discussed it with three levels of management and the third, the director of the office where I live, was like talking to a stone wall. Also, they up the rates and I drive a 12 year old car with no electronics in the bumper. You don't get a break for older cars at Amica.

Third, I think because they don't use agents it is completely up to you to thoroughly scrub your renewal every year. Their person even said to me "it is a shared responsibility between Amica and the customer on policy renewal." That person has now retired. Yes, that is my responsibility, but every time you call you get a different person. They have a local office where I live and I have even gone to that office to get personal contact with someone who will look at my policies. I have my homeowners with them also and an umbrella policy. No more, will be changing companies shortly. Their policies are going up way too much each year.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Sarah. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Amica Insurance takes advantage of customers who don’t shop. This is a warning to ANY Amica customer. The agents are taught to blame it on the State however that is most often not the case. I once thought highly of this company but whomever is on their board of decision makers is all about taking advantage now.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi AJ. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Other insurance companies work FOR their customers, not AGAINST them. Not AMICA. No investigation of the facts whatsoever. They simply pay the claim and double (or triple) your premiums. In my case, there was a need to interview witnesses (personal friends of the other driver) who contradicted another, independent, witness. Additionally, the other driver violated NYS law. But AMICA had no interest in spending any time investigating the accident. I simply cannot recommend them to anyone.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Al. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name, contact information and claim number and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

On November 3rd 2017, my husband and I were rear ended on the highway by a woman that had state Minimum coverage. So my underinsured had to kick in. My attorney has been getting run around for over 5 months. They have to sign off on the offer the other insurance has offered before they will settle on their end. I was injured pretty badly and I am unable to work anymore so we have been in need of at least the other insurance company’s settlement. Here we are facing foreclosure and utilities being shut off all because someone will not do their job.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

The prices are good. The customer service is where they really excel and they have always made it easy when I filed a claim. They helped me avoid going to court when someone falsely sued me. The claims were settled quickly too.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We're glad to hear you've had a good experience with us, Michael. Thank you for your review!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

3 weeks ago I decided to switch to Amica for automotive insurance. A few days after switching I decided to cancel and go with a much cheaper provider. My fault I didn't do my homework thoroughly enough the first time. When I called Amica and canceled the policy the agent told me over the phone and in a email that I would have my refund by the weeks end. Well now it's 2 weeks later and nothing. The calls and emails to my agent have not been responded to. So today after calling customer service I have been told that accounting is still reviewing my payment and holding my money. The payment cleared my bank weeks ago. None of the customer service agents I've spoke with can give me the same answer regarding why accounting is holding my funds.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Ben. We understand that you spoke with a representative this morning regarding your concerns. We’re actively working on your account, but if there’s anything that you’d like to discuss with us further, please let us know and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have been an Amica auto, homeowner and umbrella customer in Colorado for 1 year. I received renewals and was shocked by a 25% ($432) increase in my homeowner premium and a 20% ($229). I've not filed any claims for many years so that can’t be the reasoning for the steep premium increase. No auto claims and no liability claim either. I switched from Nationwide to Amica because of high ratings by customers who've had claims processed and THAT is why I believe my 25% increase is a result of. My inflation adjustment for my dwelling liability increased by >6%. But because Amica customers seem to get their claims paid in full, therefore customers who never file claims have to subsidize those payouts.

I don't know if Amica realizes that this high increase in premium on top of already high premiums will drive away responsible customers, leaving them with a smaller base of customers to spread the cost of payouts. Customers who stay with Amica would bear larger and larger premium increases as fewer and fewer customers purchase their policies. You'd think that with fewer customers, there would be fewer claims, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that Amica's reliably good claims processing is attracting less desirable risk, while driving away less risky customers. While I could increase my deductible I would not save much on the premium. As a result, it's good practice to shop around for insurance among the Consumer Reports other highly rated insurers.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tom. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have been an Amica customer for about 30 years. I have gone long periods without filing a claim, and then other times (mainly since my daughter started driving) I have had to file a number of claims, probably 6 in the last 5 years. When I've had auto body work, their vendors have been outstanding. One even drove to my house to pick me up to take me to their location half an hour away so I could get my car on the day promised. I have auto, home and an umbrella policy with them and it would take more than one really negative experience with them to make me change.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Thank you for trusting us with your insurance needs, Natalie. We're glad to hear that you've had good experiences with Amica, and we appreciate your kind review!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I've been a huge fan and customer of AMICA for 35+ years. No longer. When I recently moved from a major city to a rural area [more pines than people], they told me my premium would increase 30%! I was shocked. I asked what the rationale was behind raising rates for someone who moves to a smaller community vs. living in a major city where there are more cars and more of a chance for accidents. They simply said, "because." If that's how you're treated after 35+ years, I can only imagine what happens when you're a new customer. AMICA has gone downhill in the last several years. Sad.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Wendy. We’d like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you. We’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was relief to see that the lady who crashed my car in a car accident had Amica, because I thought it was one of best insurance base on Clark Howard's recommendations. I was so wrong, they do not call, does not return calls, very aggressive and do not follow up, so disappointed... Amica did not live up to the expectations.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Johanna. We’d like to look into this and have someone get in touch with you regarding this experience. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number so we have a representative reach out? Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I called Amica on a Friday trying to get homeowners insurance, “Anthony Martinez” out of California was really nice and I thought it was a great sign that this would go well. I was wrong. I send him some documents he needs and then he calls me Friday night saying everything will be all set by for Monday, I said great I really need it to be done Monday due to the closing date on my home. I put it all in his hands to take care of me and he failed. Monday I call him and he says my loan officer will have the binder later that day and he would keep me in the loop. My loan officer nor I received emails that day about anything. Now it’s Tuesday. I’m calling Anthony all day, no answer from his phone. No answer from email.

I now call Amica to speak to somebody else and they tell me they cannot give me home insurance, why didn’t Anthony contact me anytime sooner with they info? He knew it was important I got this done on time due to my closing and he himself did not reach out to call me. I finally got in touch with Anthony at 3pm in the afternoon on Tuesday. I needed this done on a Monday to remind you. Now it’s Tuesday afternoon and I have no time to call other agencies to find a different insurance company and needless to say my closing date on my new home has been pushed back all because Anthony failed to communicate with me at a reasonable time.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Renee. We’d like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I'm someone who does thorough research before committing to a service, so I felt confident when most websites had Amica listed as the best auto insurance coverage short of USAA, which is reserved for military families. I first had Amica coverage for myself, a good driver with spotless record who never called in any claims. Things were fine despite yearly premium increases that seemed high but not outrageous.

Once my husband joined my plan, the premium went up; I wasn't happy but expected it considering a point on his record. Then things got pretty pricey, to the point where we were paying nearly $400 a month for two vehicles. But really the concern comes with how they dealt with minor claims that took place in the last two years (we had six years of coverage total) -- they seem customer-service forward at first, but they are all over the place with responding to emails, accurately recording information, and providing actual good service.

Once I started shopping around for other quotes, it became apparent just what a mess Amica is -- they had input information incorrectly on one of the claims and this was causing a slew of issues on my husband's record. Getting it cleared up was a nightmare and even when they delivered the documentation we needed, it still had an error. Many of the agents give you conflicting information and rarely follow through. Honestly, just avoid this company.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi April. We’d like to discuss your experience with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your claim number and contact information and we’ll have someone reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I switched my Home, Auto and the umbrella insurance to Amica two years ago because their prices were attractive. However, year over year my total cost has increased 16% and 12% respectively, while my home, cars and myself are getting older. That's 28% increase in 2 years! My home dwelling (cost to rebuild my house) has increased year over year...8% and 6% respectively, however home values as well as new build/replacement cost my area has decreased. I called Amica and made my argument without resolution. Time to look elsewhere...

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Mike. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We've been insured under Amica for a decade. Throughout the first seven years, we were happy to pay more than average because they were great. Over the last two-three years, everything has completely deteriorated. Some examples: Last spring, I received information about owing money due to an accident. Fair. I called their accounting department and was repeatedly told they could not find the bill, could not find the person I was supposed to talk to in order to pay, etc. It took four separate calls (and several hours!) to finally track down someone who had any idea what was going on and how to, you know, pay them the money they'd billed me for.

The rep who dealt with our homeowners insurance had a list of things that needed to get fixed or changed for our policy. Some made total sense: proof that the oil tank was removed, trimming a tree near a power line. Others, not so much: re-painting the entire (recently painted) house. I asked about that one, and not only could she not explain why that needed to happen, she also told me she couldn't find out why, and that I just had to do it. I assume there IS a reason, but if I'm going to pay for an entire house re-paint, it would awesome if someone could actually give me the reason behind it, you know?

Despite paying our auto insurance monthly for a year, last year they randomly billed the entire sum for the coming year to our credit card. I called, they refunded me, and assured me it was completely set back to monthly for the future. Last month, they did the exact same thing. I called, the person I spoke to assured me it would be refunded and fixed. A month later, no refund, no monthly charge.

I called to check in and was told they couldn't issue it because they needed to confirm that we hadn't filed a dispute with our bank. (We hadn't. I hadn't mentioned anything about it during the first call. While on the phone with me, she checked and said "Hmmmm, there's no mention of why they would think there was.") I asked why no one had called to ask us about this. She explained they'd called at least eight times. I checked our phone records. One call from Amica, no voicemails. I asked which phone number they'd called, and she told me they didn't store this information.

During this call, she also told me that an umbrella policy I'd been under the impression I'd canceled (because... I spoke to someone, requested it was canceled, and was told it was) last summer had actually NOT been canceled, and canceled itself due to my non-payment. (They have my credit card information on file. Every other policy I have is set up on auto-bill. Why would this one also not be on auto-bill, if it was still active?) No one I've spoken to in the previous year (and there have been a lot, see all of the above points!) has mentioned owing money on this policy. Since I've been under the impression it was successfully canceled, and it's been a year, my notes on the cancellation (e.g., who I spoke to, when I spoke to them, any sort of confirmation information I received over the phone) are long gone.

When I asked why no one had mentioned it up until now, or contacted us about it, and mentioned that I was fairly frustrated with all of my experiences with Amica over the past few years, she replied "Well, this situation hasn't been awful... We refunded your money!" And it's true, they did. After they overcharged me nearly two thousand dollars for something they said was fixed last year, after three phone calls and several hours on the phone, and after I had to follow up with them because they apparently have a phantom phone number for me that they only use when trying to issue me a refund, they did refund my money.

I paid for the stupid three months of the umbrella policy just to end the agony. I'm delighted to report I'm searching for a new insurance provider for my auto, homeowners, and landlord insurance policies, and I hope to soon say I'll never need to speak to Amica again. If you'd like to pay extra for a Kafka-esque bureaucratic frustration, definitely go with Amica. Otherwise, shop around.

Amica Auto Insurance response

We’re sorry to hear this, Savannah, and we’d like to speak with you about the experiences you’ve had with us. We’ve passed your review along and will have a manager get in touch with you to discuss this. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Did not renew insurance with Amica and they sent it to collections. After four years Amica raised my rates and I decided not to renew and got another insurance company. Couple months later I got a letter from them, demanding x amount of money and unless I paid they would send it to collections. I called them and told them that I don't owe them anything and I don't have to renew my insurance with them. They said if I send them my new insurance information (none of their business) then I wouldn't have to pay anything. Despite my better judgment I sent them the info. I haven't heard back from them, but about a month later I got a letter from a collection agency to pay the same amount of money. I wonder how would they react if after not paying my monthly premium, I would show up and demand money for my damages.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Erika. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I am dealing with a catastrophic home claim I filed in June. I have never dealt with this before. I have not heard from my adjuster and am nowhere near close to my house being fixed. I called numerous times to be told my adjuster is on leave and a supervisor would call me back. That was a week ago. I called today and was disconnected when transferring the call. I called back. Another representative was not helpful and cut me off when I spoke. I am sad to say the time of need I really need my insurance company they are a joke! I plan on going on every site possible so other people don't experience the same thing. I am not sure how Amica can say they have a satisfaction rate in the 90s, I wouldn't even give you half of that!!!

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Sylvia. We’re sorry to hear this, and we’d like to have a representative get in touch with you about your claim and your experience with us. Could you please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and claim number? If so, we will someone reach out directly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I have been with AMICA for 3 years now and while they were not the cheapest insurance they had good customer service, and gave me peace of mind (although they did keep going up on their rates while justifying the increase by telling me, "We added other services to your policy", which I don't even use). I am a customer that always made the most of their "discounts": safe driver, loyal customer, great credit, multi policy, etc. I paid them for a whole year of insurance upfront, just like I always do; a total of $837 for my 9 year old SUV (full coverage) in March. Now here it is August (5 months later) and I sold my SUV, and I cancelled the coverage since I no longer needed it (keep in mind that I still have one auto insured through AMICA). I was expecting at get back at least $350 to $400 return for the portion of unused insurance that I had purchased, instead got back a total $156 for the remaining 7 months of prepaid full coverage auto policy.

They said it is due to not being eligible for the discounts they were giving me when I "started" the policy (since I don't have two cars insured). I call "BS" and had they told me they were going to keep my money for the unused portion I would not have paid them upfront (warning to people... do not pay them upfront ever just make the monthly payments so you can walk away at any time, the 5% discount is not worth the risk). I am now going to cancel my renters insurance and will check on going back to AAA auto insurance (just wondering how much AMICA will rip me off again for leaving them) who at least have physical offices everywhere, and while they may not have the best customer service at least they did not rip me off either I would rather know what I am dealing with.

Lesson learned and I will not be back ever, and I will continue to discourage anyone from getting any kind of AMICA insurance (the dividend they like to brag about is a bunch of crap too, it is nothing more than a marketing scheme people, I only got $20 a year twice). AMICA is this how you treat your loyal customers, if so you can keep your "blood money" and I will give someone else my business and money when we are through. At this point I would rather pay another company more money just to prove a point to AMICA. Also I just checked AMICA's website and they archive all the policies you have had with with them, funny though they took that prepaid policy off. It does not matter I have the email they originally sent back in February and it will be getting sent to Austin Tx with my complaint.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tony. We saw your review and would like to discuss it with you. Please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information and we'll have someone reach out to you. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I had a full year auto insurance with Amica and fully paid the insurance at the very beginning (May 2017). This insurance stopped in May 2018. Then I started a new auto policy with another company at the beginning of May 2018. However, they keep sending me email, mail, and even via CCS to ask for bill. That is cheating.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hello. We'd like to look into this. Please send an email to socialmedia@amica.com with your name and phone number and we'll have someone contact you about this. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I'm new to Amica. But since my parked car was struck by an hit and run, security and police reports made, I feel Amica claims adjuster has constantly wanted to push this claim to my collision coverage, which I believe will negatively affect my future insurance costs but guarantee they recoup their costs, for shareholder? Maybe all insurance companies do this? I do not know. I feel they investigated me. Am I at fault? The car was parked, I think it's to make their money back.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Tim. We’d like to discuss your concerns with you. Could you please send us an email at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name, contact information, and claim number so we can have a representative get in touch? Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My family has had Amica insurance for over 10 years. Multiple family members carry the insurance for their homes and cars (at least 4 houses and 4 cars, and probably others that I don't know about). This year, one of the home insurance policies had to be underwritten again. The customer service during this process was fantastic. After about 6 weeks of emails and phone calls (which was a reasonable amount of time because there were multiple family members who needed to be on conference calls), we received 3 new quotes in April.

The quotes were accurate and on par with the previous policy cost. Then, due to family travel and unforeseen circumstances, there was a 6-8 week gap in communication to Amica. When we reached out again (in June) to accept one of the quotes, we were told the rates had increased. When we inquired as to why, in a two month period the rates had increased, we were told that was not information that could be shared with us. Furthermore, when we inquired as to the number of claims that had been made on the policy, we were also told that information could not be shared with us. We are now so disappointed with the customer service and the business ethics and practices at Amica, all family members are looking to insure both homes and cars elsewhere.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi Adrienne. We’d like the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you. Please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your contact information and we’ll have a representative reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I read reviews and did my research online for a great auto insurance company. Everything I saw had Amica rated really well, so I decided to do a quote online and then phoned in to get everything finalized. Susan ** was the rep who helped me and was very pleasant getting everything set up. I made a payment to have the policy start at midnight on 08/07/2018. After downloading the Amica app later that evening, I realized that the closest preferred collision center was about an hour away. Given a wreck is a headache enough, I did not want to have to a commute to also deal with to get a repair done. So, I called in that night and asked to have it canceled for this reason and I was told they would mail me a check out for the refund.

Susan called me on 08/07/2018 midday and stated that she had seen my request and asked that I call and speak with her about my concern. I did that and after talking with her I decided that I still did not feel comfortable taking a wreck car to a non-preferred facility. She did mention that I could see about having any facility added to their list, but that is something that I would expect from The General insurance commercial.

Why should I do the footwork to get you a non-preferred facility approved??? So, I asked to go ahead with the cancellation and her tone changed, not rude, but just no more sincerity and concern for my interests were gone. She stated that she would go ahead and process the cancellation and that I would also get an email confirming that, which I never got. Today I get a email from Carmen ** about following up on my documents that need to be signed. What happen to my cancellation??? I have email Carmen and Susan back regarding this issue and currently am waiting on a reply. I did not expect this runaround with a company that I read so many positives things about.

Amica Auto Insurance response

Hi James. We’d like to discuss this with you directly. Could you please email us at socialmedia@amica.com with your full name and contact information? From there, we’ll have someone get in touch with you. Thank you. -JH

Amica Auto Insurance Company Information