Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
AARP Life Insurance
3.61/5

AARP Life Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

215 AARP Life Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 28, 2019

I applied, answered the 3 questions, and sent money. 3 months later, no word. After several days of calling, found someone who said there were more questions. Answered them. 3 months later, received a refund check in the mail for my initial sign up. No explanation. Either I was denied or they have decided to issue me a policy for free? Which do you think?

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was sent many offers to apply for the life insurance policies. I applied and truthfully answered any questions. I am in very good health but because I had a gastric surgery a year ago to better my health and weight I was turned down for that ready only for coverage. They claim to help seniors to receive coverage for family in that time of need yet they do just the opposite. It’s a shame they misrepresent themselves to people.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I was offered three times to up my coverage and to accidental death coverage. They offered me $60000 in accidental death for only a few more dollars a month. After three small increases in my monthly payment I was getting $30000 in coverage. I lost my certificates and when they sent me new certificates the coverage said $20000 and the accidental death said $50000. They refused to correct it so I cancelled my policy.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My father passed in 2014 with a $10000 policy. He had always paid auto-pay on time. When he passed I called about his policy and was told they stopped accepting auto-pay which was the same time he moved. Out of all the people he paid bills to they were the only ones that didn't recognize his change of address. They told me I could write a letter and possibly recover the money he put into it. They are a joke, but most insurance companies find a way not to pay so I wasn't surprised.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I joined AARP 6 months ago and tonight I called them to ask them to stop sending me insurance offers. I haven't kept an exact count but I estimate I have received at least 20 offers for insurance (car, life, health) since joining. I've gotten 3 car insurance mailers in just the last couple of weeks. It's relentless. I logged onto the website and searched for a way to stop the mailers (I imagine AARP kills a lot of trees sending these out to all their members).

I searched the site, and not finding an option to stop mailings, I finally clicked on help. I typed in "STOP Insurance mailings" and it gave me a Phone number to call so they could advise their vendors... but warned that it would take up to 3 months to stop the mailings. I called the Ph# 800-687-2277 and got connected to a robotic Pitch Loop! First the robot wanted to sell me an emergency button in case I fell down, you know "I've fallen and I can't get up". I discovered (too late) that if you press # it will stop the pitch... AND START ANOTHER! I then heard about their most excellent roadside assistance plan (sorry-AAA for 34 years)... #! Then I got a pitch on AT&T internet services... #! And when I pressed # again, they started the AT&T pitch again... # # # #! When I finally got the Robot salesman to stop it referred me to another Ph# 800-712-6600 which ROBO SALESPERSON said had replaced the previous Ph#.

When I called, I got a new ROBO SALESPERSON who started their pitch with AT&T. I hung up...called another # and requested a full refund for my 5 year membership dues (they insist on keeping $5 for the many excellent sales pitches they provided me). They are supposed to be an organization in service to seniors - As far as I can tell, they just sell their mailing list to anybody (and everybody) to fill their coffers, kill trees, and abuse seniors with endless emails and snail mail pitches. SHAME ON YOU AARP!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: April 19, 2019

This company who my father-in-law obtained life insurance with accidental benefits from is a joke! He had two life insurance policies and luckily the other company was true to their word and paid out on both benefits within 15 days of his death. The day we received the accidental benefit from the “other” company AARP only paid us the life insurance portion. It has been over a month and a half since my FIL passed and this company wouldn’t allow us to email them the records from the hospital stating they don’t have secure email....are you joking?!? So after we finally mailed out the 240 page records they have taken over 2 weeks to go through them. Still to this day we are waiting for a payout on the accidental portion. How clearer can it be if the coroner puts on the death certificate (which AARP has) blunt force trauma!? Let’s hope they actually pay out one day!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I took out a life insurance policy for $100,000 23 months ago. I was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and given 4 to 6 months to live without treatment. I had an accelerated rider on my policy that states if I have a terminal illness I'm allowed up to 50% or $50,000 of my policy. I made a claim because I desperately needed the money for treatment. New York Life accepted the claim and within 14 days I had the check for $50,000. My family and myself can't express enough. Thanks to New York life for their help at this time. This is a great company and so helpful in my time of need. Again thank you so much!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My mother took out AARP Life Insurance, she answered all questions truthfully. She passed away 22 months after having the policy. They went back 5 years in her medical records and denied the $10,000 life insurance. They stated had they known of something in her medical records they never would have allowed her the policy. It’s beyond upsetting that my mother thought she was providing life insurance to her child. AARP tells the elderly they are approved with no medical exam and won’t be denied... Little do our loved ones know they paid premiums for the insurance to only be taken for a ride.

Shame on these people and their misrepresentation to customers, then they go back to the date they offer the policyholder to increase their benefit which causes AARP to state the policy is in the contested stage. Why offer this to these policyholders and then screw them over in the end!!! NEVER would I suggest this to any of your loved ones. If they want a life insurance help to make sure their premiums are not all in vain.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have had a policy for years. Lately when trying to pay online the sign on site has been an issue. And they have no email you can contact. Either in writing or phone and then when you call that is process. This is 2018 and most companies have an email you can contact and most companies are green with the bill sent in an e-mail. For customers who want that it should not be an issue. I was trying to pay my premium online and again it is not working. If I have to call in and get ask a thousand questions I am going to go off on something. This is 2018. Get with the program. Have an email for your customers to contact and go green. I really wonder what kind of company this really is.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Notice a scam at all cost, even member. You all may know a scam artist; in your pants' pocket, but has no idea that it’s happen right before your very eyes; then when they can’t answer your question for non service, It’s your fault because, all the times they bug you endlessly to become a member; but show so much dishonor, after getting back such an email made me try my best to inform new members coming in as seniors, please don’t. These people don’t honor discount, don’t believe me, but believe you laying eyes from AARP?... :-{

AARP expert review by Neal Frankle

AARP is a large organization boasting over 38 million members ages 50 and up. They opened their doors in 1958 and now have offices in all 50 states.

• Great products: AARP markets insurance products by New York Life – a highly rated insurance company.

• Member supported organization: AARP often provides discounts to members.

• Unique policies: AARP markets “no physical exam” insurance, meaning customers may be able to find an insurance policy through AARP that they cannot buy elsewhere.

• Life insurance: AARP is not an insurance company as suggested above. They only market life insurance and annuity products by New York Life, and New York Life often sells pricier policies than other insurance providers.

• Cost: “No physical exam” life insurance is often much more expensive than alternatives. Even people with existing health conditions can typically find coverage without going this route.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

AARP Life Insurance Company Information