AARP Life Insurance

Compare Life Insurance

Research top Life Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Gwenda of Quail Run Road, TN on

The membership department of AARP is a total disgrace. My mother passed away over 1-1/2 years ago. Upon her death, AARP was notified within a couple of weeks; however, I continue to receive billing and renewal information from the company. Each time a notice was received, I returned with a note on the billing that she had passed away. Apparently, the staff of this department is totally incapable of reading and updating records; or, which I tend to believe is that they don't care. This is an agency that is supposed to have the best interest of seniors; however, their inattention to detail show just the opposite. The amount of money spent by this agency to send these notifications is a waste; and I consider it harassment. The cost of redundant mailings could be put to real use by helping seniors. Another concern, if one notices on the billings/membership renewals there is no way to contact AARP.

I was only able to submit my concern by finding a number online. There are a lot of people who do not have internet access. Today, after I spoke with an agent, Kayla, she assured me that the mailings would cease. I shall see. I hope it does; because each month when these are received by me, addressed to my, mother, my stress level increases due to the frustration of AARP not addressing my multiple requests to discontinue these mailings. The agent advised that they had never received the notifications that my mother was deceased. Not sure what they do when they are received; however, I know I have sent more than 1 dozen notifications. Not a company with which I wish to conduct business.

Brandon of New York, NY on
Consumer Increased Rating!

I'm very sadden beyond words. My mom like most parents was excited when she got life insurance and like everyone else she paid her premium and unfortunately passed away. Thankfully we had family to help us pay for her funeral to give her the respect and dignity she deserved when AARP refused to pay the Funeral Home since they needed to investigate. As her child I decided to do some research and found this website along with others and I must admit that I am expecting me and my siblings to not get paid a dime since it appears AARP doesn't like paying up, even when you answer honestly to get the insurance. Who knew you could be healthy but had an emergency room visit a few years ago and they use that visit to deny your claim.

This company itself needs to be investigated and from what I see it needs to be shut down. It's adding more grief to families when they decide they don't want to pay because for example; Jeff had a breathing treatment a year ago although he was healthy, but AARP says if they had known that they would've denied his application. I'm just disgusted and hurt to be honest since I know my mom wouldn't want this, but it's ok my family is strong and we will be ok. I just hope other people take notes and go with another insurance company. AARP is what I consider an insurance company that "hustle" and for those who don't know what that means, it means they will basically say and do anything to get money and you to get their services even if it means stretching the truth. I'll update...

Charles of Fresno, CA on

I had AARP supplement insurance, for years I was paying $15.00 a month. In 2011 I had to go to the Hospital for 2 months in Hospital. AARP insurance was to pay me, so much money a day, I think it was $150.00, that I'm in the hospital. When I submitted my claim, it was declined. Then in 2013 I'm back in the hospital again 2 weeks. I submitted my claim again for a different case, it was decline again, SO it is all ** AND A SCAM. THEY JUST TAKE YOUR MONEY. So I told them to take a hike. They kept sending me letter and I throw them in the trash.

Peter of East Dorset, VT on

I purchased a NY Life whole life policy. It was a paid-up whole life policy based on market returns. The market failed and dividend did not support the policy. NY Life demanded more money. At the time I did not have the funds so I requested that they lower the face value. They said they would not do so. Because I could not support the policy I was forced to sell it. It had a cash value of about 22k. NY Life charged me a 10k surrender fee thus I netted 12k and they stole 10. I am suppressed that AARP would be involved with such an organization as NY Life. I urge you to read all of the fine print and preferably have your attorney review any contract you enter with NYL.

Thomas of Temple, TX on

My mother purchased a life insurance policy years ago. This policy was maintained and paid for by my now deceased brother for several years. Years have gone by and my mother is now in a nursing home and has been there at least four years. At least yearly Medicaid and Medicare require lots of paperwork to keep her enrolled. Part of the headache is this policy that apparently has some sort of "cash value". I can't imagine how much this value could be but it can't be more than $1,000. Nevertheless, this policy is an issue each and every time, without fail. I finally have gotten tired of playing this game with everyone and decided to TRY and do something about this policy so it won't be an issue in the future.

With that said, I've now had the Power of Attorney paperwork faxed three (3) separate times to a number that has been verified several times over a period of approximately a month. Each time a call customer service I get the, "I don't see any record of it being here" story. I get the obligatory apologies, etc. as they assure me that this doesn't typically happen, so on and so on. I don't think for one minute that I'm that special, that I'm the only person whose fax is mysteriously disappearing from one floor to the next. To add insult to injury, I've gotten tired of playing the "fax game" with you guys so I thought I would have the nursing home MAIL a copy to the address that was provided for me. Do you want to guess what I was told when I inquired about whether or not you had received it??? Do ya??? "Oh, I don't see it here. Are you sure you mailed it to the right address?"

Your company need to seriously look at your processes which directly link to your overall communication with different departments and to your customers because there is some SERIOUSLY DEFICIENT processes being used right now. I just cancelled all of my insurance policies with USAA which consisted of two houses, two cars, and my wife's wedding rings because of things just like this. Needless to say, I'm really tired of dealing with insurance companies that make lots of promises, love getting those monthly payments but really leave you scratching your head when it comes to getting someone to get off their butt and help with an issue or problem.

Here's the bottom line. First off, I wouldn't recommend you guys to anyone I knew, even if I didn't like them and wanted to see them hurt. Second, I'm actually waiting on a return call from the manager of the department I've been dealing with and her name is Tina **. I'll just say that I'll be absolutely shocked if she actually calls me back. I provided my cell phone number and I have that phone on me 24 hours a day and I do answer it. I'll be so shocked that, when I'm finally done dealing with you guys and there does end up being some sort of "cash value" attached to this thing, I'm going to give all of the money to Tina ** to do with it as she pleases. Pay for a party for her entire department, donate it to a charity of her choice, go on a vacation, buy some clothes, I really don't care. I simply want that nightmare of a policy to disappear from the face of the earth. That's about as clear as I can make this.

Tell you what. My mother has a phone. Her nursing home is right across the street from the bank I work at. Let's get her on the phone and this way we can completely eliminate the need for a POA and everyone can wash their hands off this fiasco. You contact me at my email address or call me on my cell phone. Tell me when you want to talk to mom and I'll make it happen. There, that should just about do it. No more excuses. No more BS apologies. Just get it done like your job or your family or anything else that actually mattered to you depended on it. That usually motivates people. Once it actually matters to YOU then YOU will get off your butt and make something happen instead of making lame excuse after lame excuse. OK, let's see if anyone will actually call or email me. By the way, I was forced to select one (1) star as to how I would rate your company and my experience. Unfortunately, there aren't any negative numbers to choose.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

L. of Rock Hill, SC on

My mother passed away in July unexpectedly and unfortunately her life insurance fell under the 2 years or less clause and just like everyone else on here my brother and I kept getting the letters. We're reviewing, we have everything and then now wait we need some more stuff. We noticed there was about 2 letters a month. I also called a handful of times and got nowhere but decided to have faith and wait it out. My brother and I finally got a check yesterday about 6 and half months after our mother passed away and get this... It included interest as well. So I post this to let everyone know to hang in there and have faith. It sucks to lose a loved one and have to go through this but hopefully if you're reading this there'll be a light at the end of your tunnel and if for nothing else but for the fact that your loved one wanted you to have the money.

Jose of Syracuse, NY on

My wife was the secondary of 100% 15,000 thousand dollar insurance. He passes away and on her sister get the money not my wife because she was secondary. AARP are wrong. He was paying for both not one.

Melissa of Beaumont, TX on

My mother died April 6, 2015, four months before the two year window was up. She never went to the doctor other than the last 7 days of her life. Half in the hospital and the other half in hospice. However I understand that an insurance company needs to investigate. Considering she has no medical records other than that as of January 24, 2017 they still have not settled the claim. I called as of today and the final step of the manager to finalize this is still up in the air. They told me once it reaches the manager's office it should only take about three weeks. Now funny considering it has been in the manager's office since Dec. 2, 2015. They had no problem in getting 700 dollars a month from my mother on her policy but yet there is no justification in them not paying the claim on my mother. I feel my next step is to go to the insurance commissioner on this matter. It's not like they had binders and binders of medical records to go through for years just 7 days.

priscilla of Yuma, AZ on
Consumer Increased Rating!

My claim was finally resolved after I contacted AARP directly and filed a escalate case on my dad's delayed claim. New York Life Insurance is horrible and keeps telling me that his claim was under review with the underwriters for several months. It was cleared that there was no evidence that my dad was never sick before his policy was activated. If you guys are having this issue, contact AARP and file a complaint against their provider. Let them know what's going on and request assistance by setting an escalation. It took 10 days for New York Life Insurance to finally settle. We are relieved and can now move on. Good luck everyone.

priscilla of Yuma, AZ on

Original Review

New York Life Insurance is horrible. My dad passed away from an aggressive, sudden cancer. Therefore, he passed away so sudden and under the two year policy. I have complied with everything and getting his medical records. I was informed that they were not interested in getting any records after his policy was effective, but rather were interested in records prior to. Determined he was healthy during the time he applied. Since he was healthy there were no records before his policy but a year after his policy went to an effect.

Anyhow, is been two months since they confirmed they have everything they need to make a determination and to this day, they continue to report that is under review. I was told by the claim handler that it should take about 30 days to decline or settle claim after the underwriters have the claim in their hands. I keep calling for status and no real response other than is still under review. It's all clear that my dad had no history with illness and his cancer was a sudden discovery (on records). I have now filed a complaint directly to AARP, and hoping to get this resolved. Is obvious that they do not want to pay out.

Regina of Middleton, ID on

I have been with AARP for 5 years. I am of sound mind and so I am on top of the ridiculous barrage of mail that I receive asking for my membership money. Today, I received yet another mail saying that I have not paid on my membership since 2011. This is ridiculous because I pay every year and I keep a record of those payments. This is a constant flow of requests for me to pay on my membership. Right now, I am due to pay my yearly fee, but these letters come ALL THE TIME.

I complained to them directly more than once telling them that they should be ashamed of themselves, especially when dealing with absent minded seniors who think they have not paid their membership and go ahead and keep paying these idiots over and over again when they've already paid. It's disgraceful, unethical, and downright stealing from senior citizens. I have also asked them to quit mailing me entirely but they just keep on sending requests for membership money. Unbelievable. I tried to give them a bad review with the Better Business Bureau but they don't even take this kind of a complaint??? Horrible!

Patricia of Martin, KY on

My mom passed away May 2nd 2015 and she had no type of insurance so my family and I had to borrow money just so the funeral home would put her out for visitations. It was extremely hard on us and my dad didn't want my sister and I to go through that again so he got burial insurance to make things easier on us when it was his time. Not realizing he would be gone 11 months later... Needless to say AARP didn't pay so once again my sister and I had to go through the same ** yet once again. Now they are saying they have to investigate and asking for medical records and court papers. Here we sit almost 7 months later and still haven't heard from them or received any money. They sure didn't seem to care to take his payment every month. This is ridiculous. AARP why don't you people put yourself in the family's place for once. Just pay up.

Eileen of Gaffney, SC on

My husband had his policy since 2005. He was 2 days late for a payment for Sept of 2012. He died in May of 2016. This opened a Contestable policy. They have gone back to records from 2004, a dead doctor from 2009, an eye doctor, a consulted doctor. Items wrongly placed accidentally in my husband's med records. I was told 3 weeks ago again that we had passed. (They said it was cleared in August, and something else came up.) Still no check on the horizon. I also have this policy, and I fear for my children should I die suddenly. I have Never been late. But, they won't send me the proof he was ever late, though, I have asked for the payment details 6 times now.

I really feel this company is a ripoff. I have a 12 year old, a dead fridge, a failing heating system...and promises of money. I just need to be paid, to get the funeral bills paid...and be able to access HIS bank accounts. I need to write a book about the dog and do not when someone dies. DO NOT DEPEND ON THIS COMPANY.

Vanessa of Blairsden-Graeagle, CA on

My mother passed away in March 2016. She was so proud she bought life insurance to help cover her funeral. We (her kids) had to pay for it which is fine... but they said because her policy was under 2 years old they have to investigate. Still waiting!!! Horrible... Wanting medical records for 5 years back... and now court papers requesting release of more records. She would be heartbroken... She had a fixed income and afforded this for us. Read the fine print. Ask the questions.... Help the elderly before they get scammed too!

Stephanie of Oklahoma City, OK on

Today is the one year anniversary of my father's death. He died from pancreatic cancer less than 3 months after his diagnosis. My mom purchased the policy in June 2015, when no one, not even my dad, knew he had cancer. I understand there's protocol that needs to be followed when paying a claim. I myself sold life insurance for a few years, but the fact that my mom filed this claim almost a year ago and they STILL are trying to search for doctors to prove that my father knew he had cancer before my mom purchased the policy is absurd. Every few weeks they want to check in with this doctor and that doctor, they have ALL of his medical records, yet just LAST WEEK they asked my mom if there were any other doctors they could reach out to "to make sure" he wasn't already diagnosed before she purchased the policy. I am very disgusted with this company.

TRUETT of Denver, CO on

One reason I joined AARP at 56 years old was to get a basic life insurance which, they deeply marketed to me. Even the basic insurance policy (say 10/25K) will be impossible for anyone to obtain if you have been prescribed any medication other than ** (maybe this also). Marketing done by them at their best and useless if you are seeking real help in the insurance area.

Patricia of Edgewater, FL on

My husband got this policy last October when he turned 75 because his other life insurance ended then. Early this year he got sick and died. Because the policy was less than 2 years old, it is AUTOMATICALLY contestable. I understood that and waited patiently while they gathered all of his medical records to review. He didn't die from any illness he had prior to this coverage and he was completely honest on his application. In less than a week it will be the 4th month anniversary of his death and they still haven't completed this claim. I call at least every 2 weeks and it's always "still being reviewed." I've seen his medical records and was able to review and understand them in less than an hour. They've had everything for 2 months. I just canceled my own insurance with them because I don't want my family to have to go through the same nightmare that I'm going through.

While I'm over here racking up interest on our CC's they are over there doing nothing. I don't know if they are going to deny it or what, but there's nothing I can do until they process it. This is absolutely horrible to do to anyone, let alone elderly people that are living on social security. My husband worked and was the income earner in our home and this is the only money (that we were SURE we could RELY on) to handle matters after his death. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DO NOT GET THIS LIFE INSURANCE.

Jonathon of Felicity, OH on

My premium went up $200. NO driving violation at all. I called the JOKER, tells me they had a lot of claims this year and insurance is a pool so I have to pay more. I told the JOKER I'm not paying for someone else's bad driving. So I found the same ins for $400 less.

Jimmy of Milton, FL on

As a long time insurance broker I am very aware of the AARP "racket". As an insider I am familiar with AARP tactics. They are simply a social welfare/lobbying organization. They are in the business to court politicians and sell insurance. They do it under the guise of "social change". They are a tax-exempt organization that funnels money to organizations that are, for the most part, corrupt. Seniors are duped into believing they are looking out for them when in actuality the fox is in the hen house.

Darlene of Bentonville, AR on

I had life insurance through AARP for at least a good 10 years. When I reached 61 my premiums went up and I was unable to afford that policy. I decided to drop that policy while considering different alternate ideas. I decided the best thing to do was to drop the amount of my policy and open a new one with AARP. In the meantime I was diagnosed with cancer which in fact has been treatable but I was denied a new policy because of this diagnosis. This is morally wrong. I have supported AARP for years and no they are not for the senior citizen but just another money profit organization. They should be ashamed.

Celestine of Chicago, IL on

I filed the claim in April 2016 for Life Insurance for my husband. I receive regular letters always dated the 25th of each month that notifies me they are giving me status in accordance with the state law. This makes me believe that they have no intention on paying the claim. Called the customer service number and was told me that it's with the underwriters. This process could take a year to six months. I have canceled my policy with them. Do not want my son to have the same experience, should I passed unexpectedly.

Margaret of Brainerd, MN on

They advertise guaranteed coverage and denied my coverage because of my health history that they located from old form. They do not have guaranteed coverage!!! False advertising is what I think this is.

william of The Villages, FL on

I continually receive requests to increase my life insurance. They state "without significantly increasing your monthly premium". At what point is a 165% increase not a significant amount. From $102.93 to $265.99 per month for $24000.00 more in insurance. Seems wrong to me.

Kelly of San Diego, CA on

Elder Abuse. The life insurance policy sold to my mother amounts to a scam. Shame on AARP. People buy policies with the AARP mark thinking that they have been reviewed and approved. I am not going to be sending AARP my $12 fee last year. What are they doing with those funds?

Rosie of Amarillo, TX on

I was really thinking about signing up but after reading reviews FORGET IT. Sounds like the only ones giving good reviews are still alive lol. Family members of deceased members ARE NOT GETTING PAID AS PROMISED! So the living members will not know the encounter awaiting their family after their demise??? No thanks.

Alan of Phoenix, AZ on

I sent in the paperwork in May of 2010 and I have moved 2 times since and never received a penny from these people for my mother's insurance. I do not understand why people trust AARP. She had the medical reimbursement coverage and I sent in a copy of the medical bill. Not even a reply.

niteki of Grand Rapids, MI on

My mother passed away on April of 2011. She had a $30,000 policy. My two sisters and I found her policy in her lock box which stated what we knew and what she told us, $30,000 policy. When it was time to pay out they only paid us $10,000. We asked why and they said she had lowered her policy to $10,000 a few months ago. No evidence of this. We have the original policy. They would not give us paperwork stating that she changed it, just their flapping gums. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I agree they are SCAMMERS!!!

Sheboygan Skipper Mike of Sheboygan, WI on

Too MANY times not being able to log into my actual Policy Account as I'm told "You must be a registered member". What a load of manure!! So I re-register! I am told "You already have a current account." I'm ready to blow a head gasket, but settle down as I don't know if they'll pay for my unexpected death!! Catch-22.

Dennis of Salisbury, NC on

My wife and I both have now retired from local government and wanted cheaper insurance. We joined AARP and New York Life Insurance, and after two months I received a letter that I was turned down because of diabetic history. My wife has a two year waiting period. Now we can not go back to our old insurance. Thanks, ALOT AARP.

tijuana of Detroit, MI on

My mother passed away 8/2015, she had a brain hemorrhage which led to her having a stroke, she had a 30k policy thru AARP with NYL, I being the beneficiary submitted all paperwork, as of Jan 27, 2016 I have not heard from them, after I call I get a letter from claims with no signature, stating they are waiting on paperwork. It is now mid February I just contacted the insurance commissioner, because though she passed within the contestable period, it was no preexisting condition... And they keep asking for the same paperwork over and over, I would not insure my pet Maltese through this company. And I love him like one of my children. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Lisa of Plaquemine, LA on

For people my age (50) and over, it was very simple to join. Affordable rates, easy pay options made it very simple. I would truly recommend A.A.R.P. They took the worry out of getting life insurance. There was no forms to fill out, no long health questions that you didn't have answers to. Help is always available.

Compare Life Insurance Companies