2.11/5
Based on 165 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AARP Life Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 17, 2018

196 AARP Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 17, 2018

My mother died January 31, 2018. It took me over a week digging through papers to find the policy. After reading many reviews, I didn't think I'd be getting anything, but I was wrong. The check came within a few days, and a payment that was made after she had passed was included as a refund. I rate this experience as 5 stars unequivocally. If you keep up your payments and understand your policy, you should be fine.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am very pleased with my choice and have been very satisfied with the company. By far best customer service with agents available twenty four hours a day to answer questions. Highly respected company with great rates and many best plans to choose from. Highly recommend discount for AARP. Easy enrollment and great online presence, too.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have life insurance since I got married this year and I have AARP through my employer. I have never had to do anything with them other than to pay the bill. I would like for them to offer more coverage and I would like to be able to borrow against the policy. I know people who have been able to borrow against theirs but I know this is not an option for me.

Original review: March 12, 2018

It is the best in the market and provide the best customer support. They are very efficient, they always do their stuff to the perfection and they have not given us any problems. When your help is signed, they are always present. They should improve their variety of care centers to be able to communicate more easily.

Original review: March 11, 2018

AARP Life Insurance is always reliable and keep me up to date. They are always able to answer all my questions and are very friendly. I believe they are running this business the way a life insurance company should be ran and I'm very pleased. However, price is a little steep and I would definitely love to see lower cost for insurance but other than that I am very satisfied as a customer. AARP Life Insurance is a very good company to have on my side, have always been there when I need them and I definitely plan on sticking around for quite some time. I have also got many family members to join.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: March 10, 2018

It's great that AARP Life Insurance communicates with their customers quite often when providing great customer service to me and my family for our plan and they know at all times that I am there for a good reason and that I want their services. I like the system quite a lot. I also like that they care about me, try their best to help me out and make sure I'm satisfied. They usually do a great job of responding to my questions in a prompt fashion. But AARP is so far off some of the other cheap ones that I have been quoted for and have thought about using and I like them. I don't want to remove AARP but they need better pricing for me to stay for a long time.

Original review: March 9, 2018

AARP is a pretty interesting and amazing company. They are very user friendly. Overall as a company they have a lot of positive things to offer their customers and that is a pretty big thing. I enjoy that and what they do. I love all the different perks and all the different things a person could possibly use and find it beneficial for sure. It's always been a pleasant experience and I have never had any issues when it comes to them or the treatment I get. I am wanting to see what else they might be able to progress with. I like them a lot and I plan to stick with them for sure.

Original review: March 8, 2018

AARP Life Insurance did not medically underwrite... coverage was guaranteed with no medical questions. Due to pre-existing conditions I would have never been approved if medically underwritten. Coverage was limited for the first few years but I'm very happy with them. I've only had to call them once with a question and they gave me a quick correct answer. You can't do any better than that.

Original review: March 7, 2018

With my insurance company AARP, there are a lot of features that I really like although I love most is that I do not always have to call in to speak with someone, I can access my account at any time of the day online and I love it. They are so very helpful for me and my family with pretty much everything that we need, they are so convenient and always willing to help and go way above and beyond my expectations. Overall my experience with AARP has been wonderful. They have not let me down since I have been using their service, they are perfect and I would not trade them for another company ever.

Original review: March 6, 2018

The policy was affordable at a time when I needed it affordable and available for my age group. The paperwork involved was easy and painless to fill out and the material provided was understandable and clear for an elderly person such as myself. It also was not overbearingly time consuming. But they could have features such as increasing the amount of policy coverage at cheaper affordable rates for baby boomers. And at times they should offer additional coverage at present rates individuals are paying for. Other than that, my experience has been pleasant.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I like that they are an easy company to deal with. They help you find what you need, are willing to answer any questions that you might have and they make all of their products affordable. They make the process as easy as possible. My overall experience was a great one. I was able to get exactly what I need and will definitely recommend them to anyone who asks me.

Original review: March 4, 2018

They are a company that caters to over 50 people so they know how long we need insurance for. They are tailored to my age group and to my needs and are in my budget range. They also took into consideration my health issues and how long I might need insurance for and how much I would need. It is also easy to navigate website. But I would like the insurance to be bundled with other policies that we already have and include health insurance and auto and home and more companies to pick from.

Original review: March 3, 2018

AARP honestly seems as any other good life Insurance company. I am able to easily make changes online or the phone if I want to change or add anyone. They claim fast payout if God forbid myself or husband passes away or any of my children. I can cancel anytime I choose which will stop the low monthly payments automatically withdrawn from my account. If I do choose to cancel I lose out on the past payments and money I've put into it in the last 5 years, but I don't plan to cancel. My husband and I are young and plan to get something better. Once older we more have this In case something bad like accident happens and we will know either me or him will be financially okay along with both our kids plus costs for a funeral.

I dislike the policy I got since it's not full term life insurance and myself and husband are considered too young to begin that type of policy so we can't ever borrow against it or get any money back we pay into it until we've paid for the full 20 years so if you decide you no longer want to keep paying the monthly payments before the full 20 years then AARP keeps the money they collected from you even if it was 19 years they have collected on.

Nevertheless, I've had great experience. They take out the monthly payment on the same date each month and it's only $26 which will go up in 10 more years, but I'll be notified and given the choice to proceed or cancel beforehand. My agent that makes any changes is good. She alerts and contacts me if there's any changes within the company chancing there being a change to my policy. I'm also mailed a copy of my policy yearly and how much I have put into it and the amount that would be paid out if anything was to happen the upcoming new year.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had a policy that I carried for years for $20,000 not knowing that after a certain age the policy expired. I had chose that amount due to my budget. When it was explained to me I wanted to convert it to a policy that would be in effect until my death. But I could not do it with AARP so I ended up having to change companies and dropping the value by $8,000 to keep it in my budget. Very very poor agent explanation.

Original review: March 1, 2018

As a senior we look out for services that are specific to our age group and AARP has accommodated this desire. They cater to people like me rather than try to be inclusive of every age group. But there could possibly be room for improvement in their online services. It is only sensible to become more in tune with doing things online instead of having to wait on live people at the other end of a phone line. Nevertheless, AARP has been very rewarding, there is a lot of compensation for being a member. They come up with a variety of benefits that enhance your life, not just as a future recipient of death benefits, but for while you are living.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I enjoy the quality of life insurance I get from them, and it's very easy to deal with them and contact their customer support when I have any question concerning my policies or anything else I need to do.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

AARP Life Insurance was cheaper than most of the other insurance companies and their expensive policies. The company provides me with the best policy and I trust them with everything. But they need more policies.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

After 7 yrs. of paying premiums on time, never late, I received a letter from the "CEO" stating that my policy was cancelled due to my turning age 60. I called and was reassured that I still had my policy but my rates would increase as I was on a new "Tier". They kept trying to get me to exchange my term policy to whole life which would cost me almost 200.00 per month!!! I was upset that the whole life was not offered to me initially as I would have accepted the whole life... 7 years ago! I agree with everyone else, I trusted AARP but now I see that this policy is a scam for us older individuals and now I'm wondering if I should keep IT because of the reviews, they might not pay my kids and husband if I passed away!

I advise EVERYONE... DON'T GET NEW YORK LIFE INSURANCE THRU AARP!!! Now, I think I will cancel my AARP membership. I trusted them and now my trust has been lost. AARP should be ashamed to have this company representing them. I'm embarrassed that I fell for their scheme. I know that there are a lot of seniors in the same boat that I am. What do you do after having paid this company premiums for 7 years??! Just what I am doing. Warn others and try to locate a good company that will treat you fairly. My next step is to the New York Insurance Commissioner because of the blatant misrepresentation that this company has done to seniors. Take my advice. Run as fast as you can from this company!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

This whole association between AARP and New York Life appears to be a conspiracy to scam senior citizens. The policy was grossly misrepresented and immediately upon sending me an email saying that I was approved they charges the premium without me ever seeing the policy (it arrived 2 weeks later). When I called they said that was "policy". When I requested cancellation which I have now done 3 times they refused to cancel unless I notify them in writing and refused to refund my $266 unless I send them a written request.

Once I send them a written request they will take at least 15 business days or more to give me a refund so, the entire process can take up to six weeks!!! This is just a ripoff and they are preying on the senior citizens. AARP does not answer emails and there is no way to call them. They did the same thing to me on my supplemental health insurance policy with United Healthcare. In less than six months they have raised my monthly premium of $115 by 20% and I have only had one claim for $8. Another ripoff by AARP.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Mother was invited to exchange Term Policy, at conclusion of age limit restrictions (16 years of premiums paid). Was told new whole life policy would have full matured value. New policy has 0 payout in first year and indicates payouts equal about half premium payments and only fully mature until after 15 years of more premiums, when and if she is 95! TOTAL RIPOFF. Putting money in bank and collecting interest, at least will get all your investment back.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I've read a lot of bad reviews about beneficiaries getting their payment from AARP Life Insurance. My mother passed away in October and I received my full payment due me from AARP a month later. What might have made my payment successful and quick was that my mother was healthy at the time of applying and had this policy for over 12 years which was for $10,000. She never missed a payment and total payments to AARP throughout the years was over $13,000. So AARP Life made money on this policy. Another thing to note is you got to watch out for the person that dies only had the policy under two years. Seems like that will allow the payment to be contested.

My advice is be careful with companies that advertise no medical needed, just answer a few health questions. When the person dies that could allow the insurance company to delay or contest payment while they research the person’s medical records to make sure the questions were answered truthfully. That can result on the beneficiary having to supply medical records and other documents that can delay the payment or even deny payment. I hope everyone has as smooth a transaction as I did.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I am now a nonsmoker and my rates are reduced slightly. When I reached age 60 my premium also doubled and it goes up every 5 years but considering what other companies offer this was the best option for me.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

My sister died in May of 2017. She had an AARP 25,000 life insurance and had me made co-beneficiary for 10,000 to be sure her funeral expenses were covered. Same story - no check as of 8/22/17. She had the policy for less than 2 years - about 1-1/2 years. She died in her sleep of unknown causes but no medical condition she had would have caused sudden death. She died on a Tuesday and was planning a week vacation to the beach starting Saturday - she was not sick. They have requested records from everyone they can find that she ever saw. I spoke to them on the phone today. After reading these reviews, I feel sick. I am on social security myself and fear they will look for an "out." I want to trust that they are honest, but... no check, no answers and not much hope. I will be contacting the insurance commissioner.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

The membership department of AARP is a total disgrace. My mother passed away over 1-1/2 years ago. Upon her death, AARP was notified within a couple of weeks; however, I continue to receive billing and renewal information from the company. Each time a notice was received, I returned with a note on the billing that she had passed away. Apparently, the staff of this department is totally incapable of reading and updating records; or, which I tend to believe is that they don't care. This is an agency that is supposed to have the best interest of seniors; however, their inattention to detail show just the opposite. The amount of money spent by this agency to send these notifications is a waste; and I consider it harassment. The cost of redundant mailings could be put to real use by helping seniors. Another concern, if one notices on the billings/membership renewals there is no way to contact AARP.

I was only able to submit my concern by finding a number online. There are a lot of people who do not have internet access. Today, after I spoke with an agent, Kayla, she assured me that the mailings would cease. I shall see. I hope it does; because each month when these are received by me, addressed to my, mother, my stress level increases due to the frustration of AARP not addressing my multiple requests to discontinue these mailings. The agent advised that they had never received the notifications that my mother was deceased. Not sure what they do when they are received; however, I know I have sent more than 1 dozen notifications. Not a company with which I wish to conduct business.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I'm very sadden beyond words. My mom like most parents was excited when she got life insurance and like everyone else she paid her premium and unfortunately passed away. Thankfully we had family to help us pay for her funeral to give her the respect and dignity she deserved when AARP refused to pay the Funeral Home since they needed to investigate. As her child I decided to do some research and found this website along with others and I must admit that I am expecting me and my siblings to not get paid a dime since it appears AARP doesn't like paying up, even when you answer honestly to get the insurance. Who knew you could be healthy but had an emergency room visit a few years ago and they use that visit to deny your claim.

This company itself needs to be investigated and from what I see it needs to be shut down. It's adding more grief to families when they decide they don't want to pay because for example; Jeff had a breathing treatment a year ago although he was healthy, but AARP says if they had known that they would've denied his application. I'm just disgusted and hurt to be honest since I know my mom wouldn't want this, but it's ok my family is strong and we will be ok. I just hope other people take notes and go with another insurance company. AARP is what I consider an insurance company that "hustle" and for those who don't know what that means, it means they will basically say and do anything to get money and you to get their services even if it means stretching the truth. I'll update...

Original review: April 29, 2017

I had AARP supplement insurance, for years I was paying $15.00 a month. In 2011 I had to go to the Hospital for 2 months in Hospital. AARP insurance was to pay me, so much money a day, I think it was $150.00, that I'm in the hospital. When I submitted my claim, it was declined. Then in 2013 I'm back in the hospital again 2 weeks. I submitted my claim again for a different case, it was decline again, SO it is all ** AND A SCAM. THEY JUST TAKE YOUR MONEY. So I told them to take a hike. They kept sending me letter and I throw them in the trash.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I purchased a NY Life whole life policy. It was a paid-up whole life policy based on market returns. The market failed and dividend did not support the policy. NY Life demanded more money. At the time I did not have the funds so I requested that they lower the face value. They said they would not do so. Because I could not support the policy I was forced to sell it. It had a cash value of about 22k. NY Life charged me a 10k surrender fee thus I netted 12k and they stole 10. I am suppressed that AARP would be involved with such an organization as NY Life. I urge you to read all of the fine print and preferably have your attorney review any contract you enter with NYL.

Original review: March 8, 2017

My mother purchased a life insurance policy years ago. This policy was maintained and paid for by my now deceased brother for several years. Years have gone by and my mother is now in a nursing home and has been there at least four years. At least yearly Medicaid and Medicare require lots of paperwork to keep her enrolled. Part of the headache is this policy that apparently has some sort of "cash value". I can't imagine how much this value could be but it can't be more than $1,000. Nevertheless, this policy is an issue each and every time, without fail. I finally have gotten tired of playing this game with everyone and decided to TRY and do something about this policy so it won't be an issue in the future.

With that said, I've now had the Power of Attorney paperwork faxed three (3) separate times to a number that has been verified several times over a period of approximately a month. Each time a call customer service I get the, "I don't see any record of it being here" story. I get the obligatory apologies, etc. as they assure me that this doesn't typically happen, so on and so on. I don't think for one minute that I'm that special, that I'm the only person whose fax is mysteriously disappearing from one floor to the next. To add insult to injury, I've gotten tired of playing the "fax game" with you guys so I thought I would have the nursing home MAIL a copy to the address that was provided for me. Do you want to guess what I was told when I inquired about whether or not you had received it??? Do ya??? "Oh, I don't see it here. Are you sure you mailed it to the right address?"

Your company need to seriously look at your processes which directly link to your overall communication with different departments and to your customers because there is some SERIOUSLY DEFICIENT processes being used right now. I just cancelled all of my insurance policies with USAA which consisted of two houses, two cars, and my wife's wedding rings because of things just like this. Needless to say, I'm really tired of dealing with insurance companies that make lots of promises, love getting those monthly payments but really leave you scratching your head when it comes to getting someone to get off their butt and help with an issue or problem.

Here's the bottom line. First off, I wouldn't recommend you guys to anyone I knew, even if I didn't like them and wanted to see them hurt. Second, I'm actually waiting on a return call from the manager of the department I've been dealing with and her name is Tina **. I'll just say that I'll be absolutely shocked if she actually calls me back. I provided my cell phone number and I have that phone on me 24 hours a day and I do answer it. I'll be so shocked that, when I'm finally done dealing with you guys and there does end up being some sort of "cash value" attached to this thing, I'm going to give all of the money to Tina ** to do with it as she pleases. Pay for a party for her entire department, donate it to a charity of her choice, go on a vacation, buy some clothes, I really don't care. I simply want that nightmare of a policy to disappear from the face of the earth. That's about as clear as I can make this.

Tell you what. My mother has a phone. Her nursing home is right across the street from the bank I work at. Let's get her on the phone and this way we can completely eliminate the need for a POA and everyone can wash their hands off this fiasco. You contact me at my email address or call me on my cell phone. Tell me when you want to talk to mom and I'll make it happen. There, that should just about do it. No more excuses. No more BS apologies. Just get it done like your job or your family or anything else that actually mattered to you depended on it. That usually motivates people. Once it actually matters to YOU then YOU will get off your butt and make something happen instead of making lame excuse after lame excuse. OK, let's see if anyone will actually call or email me. By the way, I was forced to select one (1) star as to how I would rate your company and my experience. Unfortunately, there aren't any negative numbers to choose.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

My mother passed away in July unexpectedly and unfortunately her life insurance fell under the 2 years or less clause and just like everyone else on here my brother and I kept getting the letters. We're reviewing, we have everything and then now wait we need some more stuff. We noticed there was about 2 letters a month. I also called a handful of times and got nowhere but decided to have faith and wait it out. My brother and I finally got a check yesterday about 6 and half months after our mother passed away and get this... It included interest as well. So I post this to let everyone know to hang in there and have faith. It sucks to lose a loved one and have to go through this but hopefully if you're reading this there'll be a light at the end of your tunnel and if for nothing else but for the fact that your loved one wanted you to have the money.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

My wife was the secondary of 100% 15,000 thousand dollar insurance. He passes away and on her sister get the money not my wife because she was secondary. AARP are wrong. He was paying for both not one.

AARP expert review by Neal Frankle

AARP is a large organization boasting over 38 million members ages 50 and up. They opened their doors in 1958 and now have offices in all 50 states.

• Great products: AARP markets insurance products by New York Life – a highly rated insurance company.

• Member supported organization: AARP often provides discounts to members.

• Unique policies: AARP markets “no physical exam” insurance meaning customers may be able to find an insurance policy through AARP that they cannot buy elsewhere.

• Life insurance: AARP is not an insurance company as suggested above. They only market life insurance and annuity products by New York Life. New York Life often sells pricier policies than many consumers can buy elsewhere.

• Cost: “No physical exam” life insurance is often much more expensive than alternatives. Even people with existing health conditions can typically find coverage without going this route.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
Neal Frankle

Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

AARP Life Insurance Company Information