2. Finance

AARP Life Insurance

4.1/5 (332 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About AARP Life Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

AARP Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: March 3, 2021

My father had life insurance through AARP and got sick and died. He missed his last payment due to some fraud in his account and AARP honored it. I want to cry because I wasn't sure how we were going to afford everything including funeral expenses etc. These are truly genuine people with morals and values and not some heartless corporation. Thank you so much.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

My husband and I both had life insurance. His policy of $15,000 monthly was $64.98 went up to $112.88. My policy was 15,000 monthly was 13.69 went up to 19.48. We were not notified of these changes and I am disabled my husband retired and were not able to continue paying these payments. As told by the company I will not get compensated and basically I lost all this money for the last 6 yrs. Bad life insurance and do not recommend it.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

It’s a reliable company which a variety of products especially without an Heath exam. If you have a preexisting conditions most are accepted. It’s base on the information you give. As always if you're younger than 50 it would be good for you and reasonable rates.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I am 72 years old and I applied 4 years ago and I check every year with other life insurance companies for their whole life $10,000 policy rates and New York AARP is still the best and the lowest premium.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Purchased NY Life/AARP life insurance $75,000 for $195 a mo., requiring an electronic withdrawal from our bank each month. Filled one out & signed it. My husband had 3 strokes during back surgery & was unable to speak clearly, walk, or have memory for a year. Each month I checked our account to be sure who was deducting. Because I almost lost my husband of 55 yrs., I finally felt I should increase his amount of insurance. When I looked, I never got a policy or a copy of the "authorization", tried for months to get it from them, & finally got it a couple of months ago. They had, without notifying us or getting another authorization, DECREASED our amount of insurance to $32,000, and INCREASED our monthly premium to $322.

We requested a copy over & over of the "authorization", but they still have not sent it. My bank will not credit my account with over a year of UNAUTHORIZED payments, and NY Life/AARP has not refunded these payments. Now we are forced, at 77 & no income, to have to pay an attorney to FORCE all these people to give our money back, as well as having them ARRESTED for THEFT.

Original review: April 23, 2020

On 4/8/2020 I renewed my membership. I've gotten many bills since then. Why the heck do they keep saying that I have not paid. I can verify it was paid in my bank. To me it seems like they are scammers trying to make you lose money. Not at all secure.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

NO customer service. Waste of money. AARP is not worth the money. They are paid a royalty/commission to sell United Health and won't help if you have a problem with what they promise. Buy from Cigna. United has also a lot of bad reviews. Their customer service terrible.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I'm curious on whether or not to proceed with life insurance policy. Need some honest advice from others that have dealt with this company. I see a name, Jason Montgomery as agent out of Arkansas and California? New York Life seems to be a legitimate company and AARP is but some of the reviews seem to be suspicious on this company. Thank you for any insight. I would hate to waste thousands of dollars in premiums if this is a scam insurance company. Unable to publish email address so I'll check to see the latest reviews (2020). Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I have carried a $50,000 AARP Term life policy for 25 years. Last year we moved and I updated my address with the company as instructed. I recently stopped receiving my premium notices and when I called to check on it after much wrangling and being put on hold and transferred I was told that the post office had returned several of my invoices and put a mailing label on them that has never been an address of mine. So, the company cancelled my policy! NO phone call, no email...They said they sent a notice to the bogus address (which of course I did not receive) and so 25 years of payments and the insurance I was planning on for my two children no longer exists through no fault of my own. NO apologies, no offers of reinstatement. Only an offer to reapply for insurance at age 69 and start over. Terrible customer service and a real disappointment.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

My grandma started a policy with NYL/AARP Nov/2011, January 2019 she was diagnosed with Metastatic Lung cancer that spread to the brain, esophagus and other areas, she transitioned this life Oct 2019. I was concerned that her 100,000 dollar policy wouldn’t be honored after reading some of these complaints, I couldn’t be more wrong, the benefit check was mailed within 10 days. The common thread with a lot of these complaints are that the policyholder died within the contestable period and also when the policy has lapsed, it's crazy that some people would expect a payout on a lapsed policy, speak with your elderly relatives especially when they’re sick to prevent a lapsed policy. As long as medical history isn’t hidden on the application and the policy has lapsed, which should be a no brainer, everything should be fine.

Take a Life Insurance Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

AARP author review by Neal Frankle

AARP is a large organization boasting over 38 million members ages 50 and up. They opened their doors in 1958 and now have offices in all 50 states.

• Great products: AARP markets insurance products by New York Life – a highly rated insurance company.

• Member supported organization: AARP often provides discounts to members.

• Unique policies: AARP markets “no physical exam” insurance, meaning customers may be able to find an insurance policy through AARP that they cannot buy elsewhere.

• Life insurance: AARP is not an insurance company as suggested above. They only market life insurance and annuity products by New York Life, and New York Life often sells pricier policies than other insurance providers.

• Cost: “No physical exam” life insurance is often much more expensive than alternatives. Even people with existing health conditions can typically find coverage without going this route.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

AARP Life Insurance Company Information