AARP Life Insurance
3.20/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

AARP Life Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

209 AARP Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I took out a life insurance policy for $100,000 23 months ago. I was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and given 4 to 6 months to live without treatment. I had an accelerated rider on my policy that states if I have a terminal illness I'm allowed up to 50% or $50,000 of my policy. I made a claim because I desperately needed the money for treatment. New York Life accepted the claim and within 14 days I had the check for $50,000. My family and myself can't express enough. Thanks to New York life for their help at this time. This is a great company and so helpful in my time of need. Again thank you so much!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My mother took out AARP Life Insurance, she answered all questions truthfully. She passed away 22 months after having the policy. They went back 5 years in her medical records and denied the $10,000 life insurance. They stated had they known of something in her medical records they never would have allowed her the policy. It’s beyond upsetting that my mother thought she was providing life insurance to her child. AARP tells the elderly they are approved with no medical exam and won’t be denied... Little do our loved ones know they paid premiums for the insurance to only be taken for a ride.

Shame on these people and their misrepresentation to customers, then they go back to the date they offer the policyholder to increase their benefit which causes AARP to state the policy is in the contested stage. Why offer this to these policyholders and then screw them over in the end!!! NEVER would I suggest this to any of your loved ones. If they want a life insurance help to make sure their premiums are not all in vain.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have had a policy for years. Lately when trying to pay online the sign on site has been an issue. And they have no email you can contact. Either in writing or phone and then when you call that is process. This is 2018 and most companies have an email you can contact and most companies are green with the bill sent in an e-mail. For customers who want that it should not be an issue. I was trying to pay my premium online and again it is not working. If I have to call in and get ask a thousand questions I am going to go off on something. This is 2018. Get with the program. Have an email for your customers to contact and go green. I really wonder what kind of company this really is.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Notice a scam at all cost, even member. You all may know a scam artist; in your pants' pocket, but has no idea that it’s happen right before your very eyes; then when they can’t answer your question for non service, It’s your fault because, all the times they bug you endlessly to become a member; but show so much dishonor, after getting back such an email made me try my best to inform new members coming in as seniors, please don’t. These people don’t honor discount, don’t believe me, but believe you laying eyes from AARP?... :-{

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have no clue why I keep giving this organization my money. Everything I need or want is denied. Healthcare, rentals, life insurance and more. The answer I get time after time is "You're not 65". If that is the case why the heck do you accept people at 50 and deny benefits? Everyone who is not 65 or older do not join! What a friggin ripoff. They will take all the money you are willing to give, but god forbid to get one benefit if you are younger than 65. WASTE OF TIME AND MY MONEY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: June 6, 2018

I took out an insurance policy for my wife (AARP Life Ins thru NY Life), $10,000 and upgraded to $15,000 in Sep 2018. On November 8th, my lovely bride of 31 plus years passed away, less than 2 months after taking out the policy. Now, no one including me thought they would pay on the insurance. All contact with the company was professional... On 4 June I received the full amount plus interest and a refund of premiums paid after her death! Yes, I do recommend them to everyone!

Original review: May 28, 2018

Purchase life insurance for my husband. I beat breast cancer. I was uninsurable. One month later we find out he has cancer stage 4 unfortunately soon after he passed away. There is no documentation that he had cancer. The insurance company says that he have personal knowledge of his cancer that's why they didn't pay out. They only refunded our premiums.

Original review: May 2, 2018

They have a lot of valid options and I prefer all of the benefits that they give out with using the company for life insurance policy. My overall experience with the life insurance company AARP is very positive and they give me very good coverage. I would totally keep using them and recommend them to people too.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I like everything about AARP Life Insurance. AARP is great. They have knowledgeable staff and they were very professional and helped me a lot. They had a lot of good information when I called and talked to them. They answered all my questions for me and walked me right through the process with no problems at all. They got me all set up in less than 2 days. The prices are great and I got exactly what I asked for that I didn't even need to shop around too much.

Original review: April 28, 2018

They have provided the best care for me since the beginning. I like how innovative they are and provide 24/7 customer service in case there is a question I have or an issue. I like how I can cash out on my policies as well. They are the best and I couldn’t ask for a better insurance company. They have been there for me every step of the way and I will continue to stay them till I die. And I recommend others do the same thing.

Original review: April 27, 2018

A friend told me about this policy Mutual of Omaha offers... Mutual of Omaha has a good reputation. This is a whole life insurance and not term life insurance. I like their non-changing fee for monthly payment for whole life insurance. I have mental illness and am on disability and this changed everything for my policy as the payout is only $5000 and the monthly contribution is $20 or so. But the monthly contribution doesn't increase. I was also able to borrow $500 from my policy which is pretty common. However, I don't really see why I would only have a sum of $5000 for my relatives which is not enough to bury myself and enough for cremation barely. At least the amount I contribute doesn't change but I wish the way they do this would leave more for my survivors.

Original review: April 18, 2018

AARP is the best company to get the coverage I need and trust. They gave me the best rates and the insurance is not super expensive. I love that I get great coverage for life insurance but I wish I could get more coverage but pay less out of pocket cost for it. I also wish I could get a deal or a discount. I feel confident in this company that if anything would happen my family would be safe. My family, my mom and dad have used this company also. I would recommend AARP Life Insurance to other companies.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I like the price that I pay and also the peace of mind that comes along with having this policy in place. I like being about to know our kids would be taken care of in the event that something were to happen to either my husband of myself. AARP should have more features be available online. Have more how to guide and explanations of the different products offered and the different coverages offered. Since I had never looked at life insurance before it can be a little overwhelming. Overall I had a really positive experience with this company from start to finish they were there by phone in order to answers any questions I may have and helped walked me through the entire process when purchasing life insurance.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My mother died January 31, 2018. It took me over a week digging through papers to find the policy. After reading many reviews, I didn't think I'd be getting anything, but I was wrong. The check came within a few days, and a payment that was made after she had passed was included as a refund. I rate this experience as 5 stars unequivocally. If you keep up your payments and understand your policy, you should be fine.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am very pleased with my choice and have been very satisfied with the company. By far best customer service with agents available twenty four hours a day to answer questions. Highly respected company with great rates and many best plans to choose from. Highly recommend discount for AARP. Easy enrollment and great online presence, too.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have life insurance since I got married this year and I have AARP through my employer. I have never had to do anything with them other than to pay the bill. I would like for them to offer more coverage and I would like to be able to borrow against the policy. I know people who have been able to borrow against theirs but I know this is not an option for me.

Original review: March 12, 2018

It is the best in the market and provide the best customer support. They are very efficient, they always do their stuff to the perfection and they have not given us any problems. When your help is signed, they are always present. They should improve their variety of care centers to be able to communicate more easily.

Original review: March 11, 2018

AARP Life Insurance is always reliable and keep me up to date. They are always able to answer all my questions and are very friendly. I believe they are running this business the way a life insurance company should be ran and I'm very pleased. However, price is a little steep and I would definitely love to see lower cost for insurance but other than that I am very satisfied as a customer. AARP Life Insurance is a very good company to have on my side, have always been there when I need them and I definitely plan on sticking around for quite some time. I have also got many family members to join.

Original review: March 10, 2018

It's great that AARP Life Insurance communicates with their customers quite often when providing great customer service to me and my family for our plan and they know at all times that I am there for a good reason and that I want their services. I like the system quite a lot. I also like that they care about me, try their best to help me out and make sure I'm satisfied. They usually do a great job of responding to my questions in a prompt fashion. But AARP is so far off some of the other cheap ones that I have been quoted for and have thought about using and I like them. I don't want to remove AARP but they need better pricing for me to stay for a long time.

Original review: March 9, 2018

AARP is a pretty interesting and amazing company. They are very user friendly. Overall as a company they have a lot of positive things to offer their customers and that is a pretty big thing. I enjoy that and what they do. I love all the different perks and all the different things a person could possibly use and find it beneficial for sure. It's always been a pleasant experience and I have never had any issues when it comes to them or the treatment I get. I am wanting to see what else they might be able to progress with. I like them a lot and I plan to stick with them for sure.

Original review: March 8, 2018

AARP Life Insurance did not medically underwrite... coverage was guaranteed with no medical questions. Due to pre-existing conditions I would have never been approved if medically underwritten. Coverage was limited for the first few years but I'm very happy with them. I've only had to call them once with a question and they gave me a quick correct answer. You can't do any better than that.

Original review: March 7, 2018

With my insurance company AARP, there are a lot of features that I really like although I love most is that I do not always have to call in to speak with someone, I can access my account at any time of the day online and I love it. They are so very helpful for me and my family with pretty much everything that we need, they are so convenient and always willing to help and go way above and beyond my expectations. Overall my experience with AARP has been wonderful. They have not let me down since I have been using their service, they are perfect and I would not trade them for another company ever.

Original review: March 6, 2018

The policy was affordable at a time when I needed it affordable and available for my age group. The paperwork involved was easy and painless to fill out and the material provided was understandable and clear for an elderly person such as myself. It also was not overbearingly time consuming. But they could have features such as increasing the amount of policy coverage at cheaper affordable rates for baby boomers. And at times they should offer additional coverage at present rates individuals are paying for. Other than that, my experience has been pleasant.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I like that they are an easy company to deal with. They help you find what you need, are willing to answer any questions that you might have and they make all of their products affordable. They make the process as easy as possible. My overall experience was a great one. I was able to get exactly what I need and will definitely recommend them to anyone who asks me.

Original review: March 4, 2018

They are a company that caters to over 50 people so they know how long we need insurance for. They are tailored to my age group and to my needs and are in my budget range. They also took into consideration my health issues and how long I might need insurance for and how much I would need. It is also easy to navigate website. But I would like the insurance to be bundled with other policies that we already have and include health insurance and auto and home and more companies to pick from.

Original review: March 3, 2018

AARP honestly seems as any other good life Insurance company. I am able to easily make changes online or the phone if I want to change or add anyone. They claim fast payout if God forbid myself or husband passes away or any of my children. I can cancel anytime I choose which will stop the low monthly payments automatically withdrawn from my account. If I do choose to cancel I lose out on the past payments and money I've put into it in the last 5 years, but I don't plan to cancel. My husband and I are young and plan to get something better. Once older we more have this In case something bad like accident happens and we will know either me or him will be financially okay along with both our kids plus costs for a funeral.

I dislike the policy I got since it's not full term life insurance and myself and husband are considered too young to begin that type of policy so we can't ever borrow against it or get any money back we pay into it until we've paid for the full 20 years so if you decide you no longer want to keep paying the monthly payments before the full 20 years then AARP keeps the money they collected from you even if it was 19 years they have collected on.

Nevertheless, I've had great experience. They take out the monthly payment on the same date each month and it's only $26 which will go up in 10 more years, but I'll be notified and given the choice to proceed or cancel beforehand. My agent that makes any changes is good. She alerts and contacts me if there's any changes within the company chancing there being a change to my policy. I'm also mailed a copy of my policy yearly and how much I have put into it and the amount that would be paid out if anything was to happen the upcoming new year.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had a policy that I carried for years for $20,000 not knowing that after a certain age the policy expired. I had chose that amount due to my budget. When it was explained to me I wanted to convert it to a policy that would be in effect until my death. But I could not do it with AARP so I ended up having to change companies and dropping the value by $8,000 to keep it in my budget. Very very poor agent explanation.

Original review: March 1, 2018

As a senior we look out for services that are specific to our age group and AARP has accommodated this desire. They cater to people like me rather than try to be inclusive of every age group. But there could possibly be room for improvement in their online services. It is only sensible to become more in tune with doing things online instead of having to wait on live people at the other end of a phone line. Nevertheless, AARP has been very rewarding, there is a lot of compensation for being a member. They come up with a variety of benefits that enhance your life, not just as a future recipient of death benefits, but for while you are living.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I enjoy the quality of life insurance I get from them, and it's very easy to deal with them and contact their customer support when I have any question concerning my policies or anything else I need to do.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

AARP Life Insurance was cheaper than most of the other insurance companies and their expensive policies. The company provides me with the best policy and I trust them with everything. But they need more policies.

AARP expert review by Neal Frankle

AARP is a large organization boasting over 38 million members ages 50 and up. They opened their doors in 1958 and now have offices in all 50 states.

• Great products: AARP markets insurance products by New York Life – a highly rated insurance company.

• Member supported organization: AARP often provides discounts to members.

• Unique policies: AARP markets “no physical exam” insurance meaning customers may be able to find an insurance policy through AARP that they cannot buy elsewhere.

• Life insurance: AARP is not an insurance company as suggested above. They only market life insurance and annuity products by New York Life. New York Life often sells pricier policies than many consumers can buy elsewhere.

• Cost: “No physical exam” life insurance is often much more expensive than alternatives. Even people with existing health conditions can typically find coverage without going this route.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

AARP Life Insurance Company Information