AARP Life Insurance

AARP Life Insurance

3.5/5 (776 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About AARP Life Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

AARP Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I have carried a $50,000 AARP Term life policy for 25 years. Last year we moved and I updated my address with the company as instructed. I recently stopped receiving my premium notices and when I called to check on it after much wrangling and being put on hold and transferred I was told that the post office had returned several of my invoices and put a mailing label on them that has never been an address of mine. So, the company cancelled my policy! NO phone call, no email...They said they sent a notice to the bogus address (which of course I did not receive) and so 25 years of payments and the insurance I was planning on for my two children no longer exists through no fault of my own. NO apologies, no offers of reinstatement. Only an offer to reapply for insurance at age 69 and start over. Terrible customer service and a real disappointment.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

My grandma started a policy with NYL/AARP Nov/2011, January 2019 she was diagnosed with Metastatic Lung cancer that spread to the brain, esophagus and other areas, she transitioned this life Oct 2019. I was concerned that her 100,000 dollar policy wouldn’t be honored after reading some of these complaints, I couldn’t be more wrong, the benefit check was mailed within 10 days. The common thread with a lot of these complaints are that the policyholder died within the contestable period and also when the policy has lapsed, it's crazy that some people would expect a payout on a lapsed policy, speak with your elderly relatives especially when they’re sick to prevent a lapsed policy. As long as medical history isn’t hidden on the application and the policy has lapsed, which should be a no brainer, everything should be fine.

Original review: July 28, 2019

I applied, answered the 3 questions, and sent money. 3 months later, no word. After several days of calling, found someone who said there were more questions. Answered them. 3 months later, received a refund check in the mail for my initial sign up. No explanation. Either I was denied or they have decided to issue me a policy for free? Which do you think?

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was sent many offers to apply for the life insurance policies. I applied and truthfully answered any questions. I am in very good health but because I had a gastric surgery a year ago to better my health and weight I was turned down for that ready only for coverage. They claim to help seniors to receive coverage for family in that time of need yet they do just the opposite. It’s a shame they misrepresent themselves to people.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I was offered three times to up my coverage and to accidental death coverage. They offered me $60000 in accidental death for only a few more dollars a month. After three small increases in my monthly payment I was getting $30000 in coverage. I lost my certificates and when they sent me new certificates the coverage said $20000 and the accidental death said $50000. They refused to correct it so I cancelled my policy.

Original review: June 6, 2019

My father passed in 2014 with a $10000 policy. He had always paid auto-pay on time. When he passed I called about his policy and was told they stopped accepting auto-pay which was the same time he moved. Out of all the people he paid bills to they were the only ones that didn't recognize his change of address. They told me I could write a letter and possibly recover the money he put into it. They are a joke, but most insurance companies find a way not to pay so I wasn't surprised.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I joined AARP 6 months ago and tonight I called them to ask them to stop sending me insurance offers. I haven't kept an exact count but I estimate I have received at least 20 offers for insurance (car, life, health) since joining. I've gotten 3 car insurance mailers in just the last couple of weeks. It's relentless. I logged onto the website and searched for a way to stop the mailers (I imagine AARP kills a lot of trees sending these out to all their members).

I searched the site, and not finding an option to stop mailings, I finally clicked on help. I typed in "STOP Insurance mailings" and it gave me a Phone number to call so they could advise their vendors... but warned that it would take up to 3 months to stop the mailings. I called the Ph# 800-687-2277 and got connected to a robotic Pitch Loop! First the robot wanted to sell me an emergency button in case I fell down, you know "I've fallen and I can't get up". I discovered (too late) that if you press # it will stop the pitch... AND START ANOTHER! I then heard about their most excellent roadside assistance plan (sorry-AAA for 34 years)... #! Then I got a pitch on AT&T internet services... #! And when I pressed # again, they started the AT&T pitch again... # # # #! When I finally got the Robot salesman to stop it referred me to another Ph# 800-712-6600 which ROBO SALESPERSON said had replaced the previous Ph#.

When I called, I got a new ROBO SALESPERSON who started their pitch with AT&T. I hung up...called another # and requested a full refund for my 5 year membership dues (they insist on keeping $5 for the many excellent sales pitches they provided me). They are supposed to be an organization in service to seniors - As far as I can tell, they just sell their mailing list to anybody (and everybody) to fill their coffers, kill trees, and abuse seniors with endless emails and snail mail pitches. SHAME ON YOU AARP!

Original review: April 19, 2019

This company who my father-in-law obtained life insurance with accidental benefits from is a joke! He had two life insurance policies and luckily the other company was true to their word and paid out on both benefits within 15 days of his death. The day we received the accidental benefit from the “other” company AARP only paid us the life insurance portion. It has been over a month and a half since my FIL passed and this company wouldn’t allow us to email them the records from the hospital stating they don’t have secure email....are you joking?!? So after we finally mailed out the 240 page records they have taken over 2 weeks to go through them. Still to this day we are waiting for a payout on the accidental portion. How clearer can it be if the coroner puts on the death certificate (which AARP has) blunt force trauma!? Let’s hope they actually pay out one day!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I took out a life insurance policy for $100,000 23 months ago. I was just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and given 4 to 6 months to live without treatment. I had an accelerated rider on my policy that states if I have a terminal illness I'm allowed up to 50% or $50,000 of my policy. I made a claim because I desperately needed the money for treatment. New York Life accepted the claim and within 14 days I had the check for $50,000. My family and myself can't express enough. Thanks to New York life for their help at this time. This is a great company and so helpful in my time of need. Again thank you so much!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My mother took out AARP Life Insurance, she answered all questions truthfully. She passed away 22 months after having the policy. They went back 5 years in her medical records and denied the $10,000 life insurance. They stated had they known of something in her medical records they never would have allowed her the policy. It’s beyond upsetting that my mother thought she was providing life insurance to her child. AARP tells the elderly they are approved with no medical exam and won’t be denied... Little do our loved ones know they paid premiums for the insurance to only be taken for a ride.

Shame on these people and their misrepresentation to customers, then they go back to the date they offer the policyholder to increase their benefit which causes AARP to state the policy is in the contested stage. Why offer this to these policyholders and then screw them over in the end!!! NEVER would I suggest this to any of your loved ones. If they want a life insurance help to make sure their premiums are not all in vain.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have had a policy for years. Lately when trying to pay online the sign on site has been an issue. And they have no email you can contact. Either in writing or phone and then when you call that is process. This is 2018 and most companies have an email you can contact and most companies are green with the bill sent in an e-mail. For customers who want that it should not be an issue. I was trying to pay my premium online and again it is not working. If I have to call in and get ask a thousand questions I am going to go off on something. This is 2018. Get with the program. Have an email for your customers to contact and go green. I really wonder what kind of company this really is.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Notice a scam at all cost, even member. You all may know a scam artist; in your pants' pocket, but has no idea that it’s happen right before your very eyes; then when they can’t answer your question for non service, It’s your fault because, all the times they bug you endlessly to become a member; but show so much dishonor, after getting back such an email made me try my best to inform new members coming in as seniors, please don’t. These people don’t honor discount, don’t believe me, but believe you laying eyes from AARP?... :-{

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I have no clue why I keep giving this organization my money. Everything I need or want is denied. Healthcare, rentals, life insurance and more. The answer I get time after time is "You're not 65". If that is the case why the heck do you accept people at 50 and deny benefits? Everyone who is not 65 or older do not join! What a friggin ripoff. They will take all the money you are willing to give, but god forbid to get one benefit if you are younger than 65. WASTE OF TIME AND MY MONEY!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I took out an insurance policy for my wife (AARP Life Ins thru NY Life), $10,000 and upgraded to $15,000 in Sep 2018. On November 8th, my lovely bride of 31 plus years passed away, less than 2 months after taking out the policy. Now, no one including me thought they would pay on the insurance. All contact with the company was professional... On 4 June I received the full amount plus interest and a refund of premiums paid after her death! Yes, I do recommend them to everyone!

Original review: May 28, 2018

Purchase life insurance for my husband. I beat breast cancer. I was uninsurable. One month later we find out he has cancer stage 4 unfortunately soon after he passed away. There is no documentation that he had cancer. The insurance company says that he have personal knowledge of his cancer that's why they didn't pay out. They only refunded our premiums.

Original review: May 2, 2018

They have a lot of valid options and I prefer all of the benefits that they give out with using the company for life insurance policy. My overall experience with the life insurance company AARP is very positive and they give me very good coverage. I would totally keep using them and recommend them to people too.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I like everything about AARP Life Insurance. AARP is great. They have knowledgeable staff and they were very professional and helped me a lot. They had a lot of good information when I called and talked to them. They answered all my questions for me and walked me right through the process with no problems at all. They got me all set up in less than 2 days. The prices are great and I got exactly what I asked for that I didn't even need to shop around too much.

Original review: April 28, 2018

They have provided the best care for me since the beginning. I like how innovative they are and provide 24/7 customer service in case there is a question I have or an issue. I like how I can cash out on my policies as well. They are the best and I couldn’t ask for a better insurance company. They have been there for me every step of the way and I will continue to stay them till I die. And I recommend others do the same thing.

Original review: April 27, 2018

A friend told me about this policy Mutual of Omaha offers... Mutual of Omaha has a good reputation. This is a whole life insurance and not term life insurance. I like their non-changing fee for monthly payment for whole life insurance. I have mental illness and am on disability and this changed everything for my policy as the payout is only $5000 and the monthly contribution is $20 or so. But the monthly contribution doesn't increase. I was also able to borrow $500 from my policy which is pretty common. However, I don't really see why I would only have a sum of $5000 for my relatives which is not enough to bury myself and enough for cremation barely. At least the amount I contribute doesn't change but I wish the way they do this would leave more for my survivors.

Original review: April 18, 2018

AARP is the best company to get the coverage I need and trust. They gave me the best rates and the insurance is not super expensive. I love that I get great coverage for life insurance but I wish I could get more coverage but pay less out of pocket cost for it. I also wish I could get a deal or a discount. I feel confident in this company that if anything would happen my family would be safe. My family, my mom and dad have used this company also. I would recommend AARP Life Insurance to other companies.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I like the price that I pay and also the peace of mind that comes along with having this policy in place. I like being about to know our kids would be taken care of in the event that something were to happen to either my husband of myself. AARP should have more features be available online. Have more how to guide and explanations of the different products offered and the different coverages offered. Since I had never looked at life insurance before it can be a little overwhelming. Overall I had a really positive experience with this company from start to finish they were there by phone in order to answers any questions I may have and helped walked me through the entire process when purchasing life insurance.

Original review: March 17, 2018

My mother died January 31, 2018. It took me over a week digging through papers to find the policy. After reading many reviews, I didn't think I'd be getting anything, but I was wrong. The check came within a few days, and a payment that was made after she had passed was included as a refund. I rate this experience as 5 stars unequivocally. If you keep up your payments and understand your policy, you should be fine.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I am very pleased with my choice and have been very satisfied with the company. By far best customer service with agents available twenty four hours a day to answer questions. Highly respected company with great rates and many best plans to choose from. Highly recommend discount for AARP. Easy enrollment and great online presence, too.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have life insurance since I got married this year and I have AARP through my employer. I have never had to do anything with them other than to pay the bill. I would like for them to offer more coverage and I would like to be able to borrow against the policy. I know people who have been able to borrow against theirs but I know this is not an option for me.

Original review: March 12, 2018

It is the best in the market and provide the best customer support. They are very efficient, they always do their stuff to the perfection and they have not given us any problems. When your help is signed, they are always present. They should improve their variety of care centers to be able to communicate more easily.

Original review: March 11, 2018

AARP Life Insurance is always reliable and keep me up to date. They are always able to answer all my questions and are very friendly. I believe they are running this business the way a life insurance company should be ran and I'm very pleased. However, price is a little steep and I would definitely love to see lower cost for insurance but other than that I am very satisfied as a customer. AARP Life Insurance is a very good company to have on my side, have always been there when I need them and I definitely plan on sticking around for quite some time. I have also got many family members to join.

Original review: March 10, 2018

It's great that AARP Life Insurance communicates with their customers quite often when providing great customer service to me and my family for our plan and they know at all times that I am there for a good reason and that I want their services. I like the system quite a lot. I also like that they care about me, try their best to help me out and make sure I'm satisfied. They usually do a great job of responding to my questions in a prompt fashion. But AARP is so far off some of the other cheap ones that I have been quoted for and have thought about using and I like them. I don't want to remove AARP but they need better pricing for me to stay for a long time.

Original review: March 9, 2018

AARP is a pretty interesting and amazing company. They are very user friendly. Overall as a company they have a lot of positive things to offer their customers and that is a pretty big thing. I enjoy that and what they do. I love all the different perks and all the different things a person could possibly use and find it beneficial for sure. It's always been a pleasant experience and I have never had any issues when it comes to them or the treatment I get. I am wanting to see what else they might be able to progress with. I like them a lot and I plan to stick with them for sure.

Original review: March 8, 2018

AARP Life Insurance did not medically underwrite... coverage was guaranteed with no medical questions. Due to pre-existing conditions I would have never been approved if medically underwritten. Coverage was limited for the first few years but I'm very happy with them. I've only had to call them once with a question and they gave me a quick correct answer. You can't do any better than that.

Original review: March 7, 2018

With my insurance company AARP, there are a lot of features that I really like although I love most is that I do not always have to call in to speak with someone, I can access my account at any time of the day online and I love it. They are so very helpful for me and my family with pretty much everything that we need, they are so convenient and always willing to help and go way above and beyond my expectations. Overall my experience with AARP has been wonderful. They have not let me down since I have been using their service, they are perfect and I would not trade them for another company ever.

AARP Life Insurance Company Information