2. Finance

AARP Life Insurance

4.1/5 (222 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About AARP Life Insurance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

AARP Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Life Insurance?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I had life insurance through AARP for at least a good 10 years. When I reached 61 my premiums went up and I was unable to afford that policy. I decided to drop that policy while considering different alternate ideas. I decided the best thing to do was to drop the amount of my policy and open a new one with AARP. In the meantime I was diagnosed with cancer which in fact has been treatable but I was denied a new policy because of this diagnosis. This is morally wrong. I have supported AARP for years and no they are not for the senior citizen but just another money profit organization. They should be ashamed.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I filed the claim in April 2016 for Life Insurance for my husband. I receive regular letters always dated the 25th of each month that notifies me they are giving me status in accordance with the state law. This makes me believe that they have no intention on paying the claim. Called the customer service number and was told me that it's with the underwriters. This process could take a year to six months. I have canceled my policy with them. Do not want my son to have the same experience, should I passed unexpectedly.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

They advertise guaranteed coverage and denied my coverage because of my health history that they located from old form. They do not have guaranteed coverage!!! False advertising is what I think this is.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I continually receive requests to increase my life insurance. They state "without significantly increasing your monthly premium". At what point is a 165% increase not a significant amount. From $102.93 to $265.99 per month for $24000.00 more in insurance. Seems wrong to me.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

Elder Abuse. The life insurance policy sold to my mother amounts to a scam. Shame on AARP. People buy policies with the AARP mark thinking that they have been reviewed and approved. I am not going to be sending AARP my $12 fee last year. What are they doing with those funds?

Original review: July 14, 2016

I was really thinking about signing up but after reading reviews FORGET IT. Sounds like the only ones giving good reviews are still alive lol. Family members of deceased members ARE NOT GETTING PAID AS PROMISED! So the living members will not know the encounter awaiting their family after their demise??? No thanks.

Original review: July 6, 2016

I sent in the paperwork in May of 2010 and I have moved 2 times since and never received a penny from these people for my mother's insurance. I do not understand why people trust AARP. She had the medical reimbursement coverage and I sent in a copy of the medical bill. Not even a reply.

Original review: May 16, 2016

My mother passed away on April of 2011. She had a $30,000 policy. My two sisters and I found her policy in her lock box which stated what we knew and what she told us, $30,000 policy. When it was time to pay out they only paid us $10,000. We asked why and they said she had lowered her policy to $10,000 a few months ago. No evidence of this. We have the original policy. They would not give us paperwork stating that she changed it, just their flapping gums. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I agree they are SCAMMERS!!!

Original review: April 23, 2016

Too MANY times not being able to log into my actual Policy Account as I'm told "You must be a registered member". What a load of manure!! So I re-register! I am told "You already have a current account." I'm ready to blow a head gasket, but settle down as I don't know if they'll pay for my unexpected death!! Catch-22.

Original review: March 21, 2016

My wife and I both have now retired from local government and wanted cheaper insurance. We joined AARP and New York Life Insurance, and after two months I received a letter that I was turned down because of diabetic history. My wife has a two year waiting period. Now we can not go back to our old insurance. Thanks, ALOT AARP.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

My mother passed away 8/2015, she had a brain hemorrhage which led to her having a stroke, she had a 30k policy thru AARP with NYL, I being the beneficiary submitted all paperwork, as of Jan 27, 2016 I have not heard from them, after I call I get a letter from claims with no signature, stating they are waiting on paperwork. It is now mid February I just contacted the insurance commissioner, because though she passed within the contestable period, it was no preexisting condition... And they keep asking for the same paperwork over and over, I would not insure my pet Maltese through this company. And I love him like one of my children. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

For people my age (50) and over, it was very simple to join. Affordable rates, easy pay options made it very simple. I would truly recommend A.A.R.P. They took the worry out of getting life insurance. There was no forms to fill out, no long health questions that you didn't have answers to. Help is always available.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

There are only a few questions asked to qualify for the AARP Life Insurance and the premiums are low. It was easy to apply online and also easy to pay premiums online each month. I do not have insurance with an employer and this was the best choice I made. I found out about this insurance once I turned 50 years old and I also pay $16.00 a year to be an AARP member which is not much for the benefits you receive. I would recommend looking into getting this life insurance because there is not health exam to qualify.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

The thing that I enjoy most about AARP is that they have the most comprehensive help and caring employees I've ever had. Every time I've had a dispute or a complaint, they would immediately take care of it, and send me on my merry way. If I had to choose between a different insurance company, I would stick with AARP. I would definitely recommend them to all my friends and family.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

My mother have a policy with them for 10,000. Her policy was 1 year and 7 months old. They have only three question that you have to answer on the application. I answer those question. I even wrote in that she had a heart attack 2 years ago. So that issue the policy a standard policy. I worked for an insurance company in the past. They ask you over 20 question about your medical history and before they issued you a policy they would check it out. But AARP don't do that. My mother pass month ago a heart attack. Now they say if they would have known this that they would have declined her. They never had no intention to pay on this policy. AARP is a fraud. They will collect all of your premium. Did when it time to pay off they come up with all of this about her when those wasn't any questions on the application so I won't recommend AARP to no one. They will not do you right. Yes they have consumer services. But when it time to pay they won't, so beware.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2015

Very satisfied with AARP NYL insurance co. No medical physical was needed and it is convenient to pay online every month. Was able to search online through AARP for the best insurance policy for my family. If you need insurance of any then AARP is the place to look for affordable deals on every kind of insurance.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

Have no problems with AARP. I pay a low rate and it's well worth it. I would tell others to definitely get life insurance even if a small amount. I have had aarp for a yr now. Before that I had globe insurance and did not like the results of the billing twice. Globe life did not receive my payment on time and they dropped me.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2015

I have had an awesome experience with AARP. They have been helpful to me about letting me know what I was covered for and how much. They explained my policy to me thoroughly and let me know when something was to change or if a new deal came along that was better for my circumstances. I don't make a lot so letting me know these deals and having a lower price at the same time letting me know if something was to happen, my son would be taken care of is a peace of mind for me.. so thank you AARP for being an awesome insurance company.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2015

I have had very little experience with my life insurance company. But the little time that I have had they have provided me with good information that was beneficial to me. Their customer service department has been very responsive to my needs. The rate for my age was very reasonable and it was easy to sign up. I would recommend anyone to use AARP life insurance.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

Rates are affordable, agent explained every detail in the policy, your present health is not a problem for them to cover you and you are guaranteed coverage. They have different terms, such as Term Insurance and whole Life Insurance. Being a member of AARP has made me eligible to have coverage and has many benefits to me. I am confident that my family will not be left with huge funeral costs and that gives me peace of mind. They keep me informed about new items and products that are available to me through their email. Can be contacted easily if I have a question or a problem.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

I, too, received $38 after making monthly payments for the past few years. My experience with AARP is that every time I made payment whether online, personal check or money order, they never received payment until a few months when, alas, I found the payment. Many times my bank account was overdrawn because AARP claimed they never received payment online and a month later they found the payment when I did not have the funds. I finally decided to cancel all insurance with them, sent them a registered letter, return receipt requested, and guess what? They never received it even though they signed the return receipt acknowledging receipt. I'm not sure if this is a game they play of never receiving letters or payments, or perhaps it is the city I live in, Philadelphia, but I will never deal with them!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

Glad that I have insurance. But the cost is high because of my age. Least I can leave my girls a little something. I would like it more if my payments were lower and did not go up every 5 years. It's from AARP through New York Life and it will help older people so that is a good thing. Their customer service people are very helpful and really listen to your questions and concerns. I like what AARP offers in deals. I have saved a lot of money by being a member.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

I originally selected this policy as a term policy and at a later time was offered the option to convert it to whole life, which I did. I have an auto pay set up, so I don't have to worry about missing or forgetting a payment. AARP offers many benefits for seniors, life insurance being only one. I have had no problems communicating concerning my policy nor have I experienced any issues at all. When I choose this insurance, AARP offered the best financial solution for this uninsured person.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

I have found that working with the AARP (which my policy is actually New York Life) that they are extremely helpful and take the time to review my needs as a person. As I get older, they are in contact to give me more information on what is, or might be necessary, to help if something happens to me. I also purchased another policy directly from New York Life for additional benefits which I have carried for two years now. They are a great company and AARP spends a great deal of time helping people in my position.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

The people I have talked to have been very friendly and supportive and have answered all of my questions without a problem. They are ready to assist you and have explained some questions that I had in detail so that now I understand what the policy contains. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for insurance.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

I am satisfied with my insurance company AARP. It fits my budget and protects my family. There are so many benefits to having this insurance and so many trustworthy products you gain access to for being a part of AARP. I would add to this insurance but I would not change it.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

The price is great for the amounts covered. It is whole life insurance, at first. It was easy to buy, and all my questions were answered by the literature they sent to me in the mail. Unfortunately, the rate goes up as you get older. They send you offers each time that you would get an increase (which is every 5 years) asking if you want to convert to Term Life for a lesser rate than your new one for whole life would be. They offer automatic debit monthly payment plans. If you don't have much money, it's a good way to be covered.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

They were very easy to work with over the phone. Required a few health questions & information about my doctors & health. This company made it easy for me to find a policy that fit within my budget and allowed me to have enough coverage that my final expenses would be paid and I wouldn't be a burden on my family. I would gladly recommend them to others that are of advancing age and on a fixed income.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Outstanding sign up. Customer service during the The process was quick and not too intrusive. The premiums are quite manageable for the coverage offered. I had resisted buying life insurance for a long time because I didn't think I could afford it, but the variety of plans offered made me comfortable with signing to. I'm glad that I did.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Prompt payment on claim when my spouse passed away. They were very kind and thoughtful and very sensitive to my situation. I had to wait a few weeks for doctor's records and they always kept me informed. For this I would definitely recommend them to anybody looking for a good life insurance company. They made me feel important to them.

AARP Life Insurance Company Information