AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford Reviews

About AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford

The AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford offers car insurance for drivers in most states. Coverage comes with multiple perks, and special savings for being safer, more experienced drivers. Applicants must be registered AARP members and at least 50 years old, but those who qualify can get a free, no-obligation quote in eight minutes or less.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Designed for senior drivers
  • Member-specific discounts and perks
  • Free quotes
Cons
  • Must be 50 or older
  • Available only to AARP members

Featured Reviews

Verified
Prospect, CT

Purchase through AARP senior discounts saved us a lot of money. In the past we’ve had Allstate, Prudential, Liberty Mutual and few others. However the Hartford claims department i...

Verified
Blythe, CA

Easy application. You just pick your choices of coverage and you get a price....I've make claims and they were handled in a fast professional way. Quick and easy. And renew abilit...

About AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford

AARP is a nonprofit organization focused on assisting people over 50 years of age. AARP offers its members exclusive insurance tailored to seniors through The Hartford, a company that’s provided insurance for Americans since 1810 and has provided coverage to famous clients like Babe Ruth, Abraham Lincoln and Dwight Eisenhower. Together, AARP and The Hartford offer member discounts in most states.

How does the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford work?

To receive the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford, you must be 50 or older and an AARP member. For qualifying members, the company offers standard car coverage options:

• Collision
  • Comprehensive
  • Liability
  • Medical payments
  • Personal injury protection
  • Uninsured motorist bodily injury
  • Uninsured motorist property damage

The Hartford also offers additional coverage options, including:

• Accident forgiveness
  • New car replacement
  • Personal umbrella insurance
  • RecoveryCare
  • Rental car expenses

You can bundle your auto insurance with other coverage, including homeowners.

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford quotes and rates

The best way to figure your AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford policy cost is to request a quote. Insurance rates depend on several factors, including age, driving history, gender, location, type of vehicle, credit score and more. Typically, insurance rates for older drivers are lower than average, since they tend to be more experienced. AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford ’s discounts vary by state, but they include:

• Vehicle equipment: Discounts on airbags, anti-theft devices, the TrueLane driver monitoring app and vehicle fuel.
  • Driver education: Driver training and defensive driver course discounts.
  • Customer loyalty: Multipolicy and paid-in-full discounts.

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford FAQ

How much does AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford cost?

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford  costs depend on factors including location, age, credit score and more. To find out what your coverage costs would be, contact AARP Auto Insurance from The Hartford for a quote.

Does AARP have good auto insurance?

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford is underwritten by The Hartford, which has generally good customer reviews. Its coverage includes benefits designed for its 50+ demographic.

Is the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford only for AARP members?

The Hartford serves customers of all ages, but its AARP coverage and discounts are for AARP members exclusively.

Is the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford available everywhere?

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford is available nationwide, but specific coverage options vary by state.

Is AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford good?

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford is available only to AARP members, and you must be at least 50 years old to qualify. If you’re a driver that meets these requirements, AARP’s car insurance is a solid coverage option. Overall, AARP/Hartford's coverage should offer peace of mind to seniors who need trusty auto insurance.

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford Reviews

Stars Rating

• 23%
  • 40%
  • 15%
  • 8%
  • 14%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford?

Customer ServiceCoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed June 11, 2024

First off, prices are competitive. Last off. Forgot to pay my premium on time. Received nothing to remind me of payment due. When I was checking my account online realizing my payment was several days late and my auto coverage cancelled. I tried to pay online. Would not let let me. Had to wait for business hours to call. When I finally got to a human I was told sorry. You’ve been dropped. Look for coverage elsewhere. So that’s what I did. Driving without coverage for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the communication Hartford. I do have an excellent driving record and outstanding credit. Probably not a good choice for AARP members who may be older and forgetful.

Customer ServiceCoverageOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed May 30, 2024

TrueLane is horrific. Seniors do not always have time and wherewithal to keep babysitting this freakin app. My son did NOT have a cell phone. He constantly used mine. Little did I know I was getting failing scores on my car insurance. Evidently the app thought I was driving to work watching YouTube videos and gaming! My own husband who is 10 years older than me was completely dropped as a driver for some unknown godforsaken reason. I gotta go read directions to figure out how to re enroll him. On top of this we lost some discount. Hartford Car Insurance is unfriendly, tedious and complex. A pain in my senior derriere. I do NOT recommend.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 28, 2024

I started the TrueLane program in March and it keeps recording even when I'm riding in someone else's vehicle. Also I was sitting on my bed one day and happened to look down at my phone and saw it was recording in the background and the only place I had been was in the bathroom with my phone!!! It scores you really bad when you are riding on the back of a motorcycle!!

Customer Service

Reviewed April 18, 2024

I received a substantial discount by switching to the AARP Hartford auto insurance program. If you accept the use of a mobile phone app called True Lane it results in a 12% discount. I am definitely over 50. Note that I have not had a ticket or accident for at least a decade. In using this app it kept reducing my score for "hard braking", "phone use" and "acceleration." I started to keep track of whether I actually did these things or not. I discovered that this software is not accurate for a variety of reasons.

I live in an area where the main road is reported to have 100,000 vehicles traveling per day on 6 lanes going east and 6 lanes going west. Occasionally you have someone weaving in and out of traffic requiring a hard brake when they pull in front of you. Sometimes many cars in front of you start breaking and you can't see why. Sometimes I accelerate in order to change lanes. Occasionally I bluetooth my phone for maps. I never hold my phone using it while driving. AND most importantly, I can state that on 04/15/2024, I drove 6 miles with absolutely no hard breaking and yet it stated that this was a problem.

I checked right away after this trip so I'm sure it was an error. Prior to this date I thought there was a problem with this software, but wasn't sure. Now I am sure. I suspect it would work in areas with little traffic and only two lane roads. I think it's faulty when you are driving in a city with high volume traffic. As a result I will have to pay an additional $49.00 on my policy.

Deb increased rating by 4 stars.
      Customer ServiceOnline & AppStaff
      After a positive interaction with AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford, Deb increased their star rating on March 17, 2024.

Updated review: March 17, 2024

Resolved.

Original Review: March 14, 2024

I installed Truelane App Nov 23 and I've had to call CS over a dozen times about inaccuracies from braking, acceleration to no trips recorded. Finally, they fixed the issues and for a few months I was a happy camper. However, on March 9 the App stopped recording trips. So today, March 13, I called Hartford because trips for 4 days weren't recorded. Additionally, last night I uninstalled and reinstalled the App - same issues. When I called this evening, surprisingly, CS rep Lavette answered the call and I told her that I was calling about the Truelane App. She said, "Huh?" I repeated why I was calling. She asked me, "What was that!?" Because of all the background noise on her end I asked her if she was working from home and confirmed that I was calling HARTFORD. Yes she said, "Yes," so I attempted to explain the driving App and the issues.

As I was attempting to explain she started coughing in my ear and from there it went 50 shades of a bad Hartford Customer Service experience and she even hung up on me. Dealing with unprofessional, unknowledgeable and rude contractors and an app that records erroneous data if any at all just isn't worth the the discount. I believe the app is just another way to invade your privacy and steal your information - we aren't saving ish. Imma save myself a headache and trash the driving App!

Profile pic of the author.
      Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 5, 2024

I have had renters and auto for over a year now. The rep that sold me my policies talked me into installing the True Lane App. One of the selling points to persuade me was the Rewards Program. I have enjoyed receiving gift cards during the portions of the months when I have nothing left to live on. Today I got an email saying they are discontinuing the rewards program. I called The Hartford to express my disappointment and spoke to a rep who couldn't care less about me or my opinion. I said I am going to take my business to a different company and she again made it clear she didn't care. Geico has been offering me cheaper rates. I am going there.

Price

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2024

We have had our vehicles covered by AARP Hartford for many years. We are seniors late '70s and 80 yrs old. We have 2 cars covered. One is a 2013 Ford Shelby GT500, 6 speed manual. Yes I drive this vehicle and I am not a typical old geezer. Our premiums are very good considering we drive this muscle car and another vehicle. Other companies would charge a lot more for a muscle car.

Profile pic of the author.
      Verified purchase
      Coverage

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2024

Last year we paid over $2,000 for coverage on a truck, car and motorhome. We are retired and sometimes don't get on the road for a week or more (usually in the car). We used the truck maybe 3 times a year and the motorhome only during the summer months, for a trip or two (probably a total of maybe 4 weeks). During the winter the motorhome it is kept in our garage. We are both 75, retired with excellent driving records. We've been with The Hartford for years with no accidents/claims and yet this year they increased our insurance bill $550.00. I finally smarten up and shopped around. Went with Progressive and dropped $850.00. Wished I had switched years ago. Live and Learn!!!!

Claims HandlingCoverageStaff

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2024

I decided to switch to the Hartford car insurance company after seeing many commercials on TV. The vanishing deductible and AARP rates were attractive and competitive. After shopping around I found the Hartford to be the best deal. I renewed for 2 years with minimal increases in premiums. When I reviewed my bank statement (January 2024), I noticed that the monthly premium had increased from $131 to 182/ month. I have had Zero claims with my policy, no tickets and I am a good driver. I did a comparison with Progressive and found that the same coverage was priced @ $151/ month. What's the deal with AARP discount. Seems like the AARP is a gimmick and not of any value for my policy. I am frustrated and want to share my experience with potential new customers so they don't have the same experience. Shop around and see for yourself. These guys are not the best DEAL!

Online & App

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2024

I'm currently sitting next to my son in his car and the app is telling me I'm being recorded. What are you recording? I'm not driving. I'm a passenger and somebody else's vehicle. How hard would it be to play some monitor inside the car like State Farm does?

AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford Company Information