Call toll free*
Based on 72 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Last updated: April 6, 2018

510 AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 6, 2018

I really don't know what is happening over at AARP. Apparently renewing my auto insurance is going to bump up my price by $2,000 plus and when I spoke with whomever on the phone they told me it was to pay for the California fires last year. WHAT? Also I was told that the increase reflected some 3 years gone headlight fix it ticket, but is a mistake. W H A T?!

Original review: March 27, 2018

A few weeks ago The Hartford sent my 80 year old mother a $500 premium increase on her auto insurance policy. She has never had an accident. Rightfully I was upset, so I called for clarification and was talked in circles by a representative who offered only Trumponian logic as an explanation. Being angry, I expressed myself on social media and received an message from The Hartford feigning concern and requesting my mother’s policy number so they could look into her case and contact her. They never did.

However, less than a week later I received a letter in the mail from The Harford and it seems they have raised my premium $500 as well. You connect the dots. If I can prevent just two other people from signing with The Harford then I will feel I have done what I can. This company is immoral and unethical and in an ever-increasing immoral and unethical world I feel the need to call them out and I will use my extra time to shine a light on such shady practices in an attempt to make as many people as possible aware of the fraud that is The Hartford.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 27, 2018

They lure you in with a low ball rate just to get you to sign up. But after the first 3 months they jack up my rate more than what other companies charge me, they will make new company rules and stated staff did not know about, or "I just found out myself." Another way to scam older people for their money. My advice to you stay away from company with no name in this business, my policy number used to be **. And the supervisor name was Lee.

Original review: March 13, 2018

After having AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance for about 10 years, some of our miserable experiences: An apparent Albuquerque gangbanger (one of an army of them here in New Mexico, check the crime stats) one day followed me to my parsonage. While he called the cops falsely accusing me of running into him, I called the cops to report him stalking me. I was not involved in any accident with him nor anyone else, and there was zero evidence to prove such an accident. I was assured by the AARP/Hartford claims adjuster, Jeremy **, that I had nothing to worry about and that my premiums would not increase. I had been totally accident-free for 10+ years before this false accusation and up to and including today.

Months after this fake accident, I learned that our premiums had skyrocketed, and the reason was that the false accuser filed with his insurance company, which held a secret arbitration and decided 100% in favor of the false accuser. I never was told about this arbitration, never was allowed to present my side, never was informed by AARP/Hartford that I "lost" this secret case nor that they were increasing my premiums. AARP/Hartford provided the lamest defense for me in the annals of arbitration cases; clearly intending for me to lose so they could skyrocket our premiums, which they did.

AARP/Hartford refused to provide me any info. relevant to this so-called arbitration, and our corrupt New Mexico state insurance officials defending them, fraudulently claiming that since the proceedings were a legal "work-product" I had no right to know what they were, nor even what alleged evidence they presented (if they even consider evidence), nor even a copy of their decision. Being linked to AARP - clearly like a monstrous Siamese twin - which we were members, we bought our auto insurance with Hartford because of our trust in AARP. We later came to the belief that AARP, while it used to be pretty good for Seniors, had clearly morphed itself into some hideous corrupt money-grabbing beast.

When the AARP/Hartford talks about "accident forgiveness", it clearly does not apply to its policyholders, but to its corporate chiefs who forget to strap on their adult diapers before stepping onto their luxury yachts we were paying for. We had several vehicles insured by the AARP/Hartford. When I sold one and did not replace it, I called the AARP/Hartford, and was told that because I had sold a truck and now had less vehicles, it was going to have to INCREASE our premiums! AARP/Hartford constantly made costly mistakes in our paperwork that somehow always seemed to result in higher premiums for us. Whenever I complained, its people would "play the stupid" to excuse their mistakes, but not a penny ever returned to us.

We switched our auto insurance to another company and now pay about 1/3rd of the rip-off premiums AARP/Hartford was charging us. I had to repeatedly try to cancel the AARP/Hartford insurance, it kept on billing us after I kept telling it that we had quit it. Thank God, we did not have one of those automatic bank withdrawal or credit card accounts with AARP/Hartford.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Are you sick of people staring down at their phone? My God just drive already! So I get rear ended by some ding dong school girl driving her mom’s/granny’s car (Jan 2012). I always scan my mirrors frequently (once avid motorcyclist) so as to be on the alert. I see this girl looking down at her device as she hits me from behind (10mph) not very hard. Messed up my tailgate etc. She never puts the phone down. Cops show up. Still won’t put down phone. Cop asked my side. Cop asks her story but can’t get an answer as she still won’t put phone down! Anyways I get a call from the Hartford after I got a damage estimate. They paid for a fair price, and my time outta work in lieu of neck tweak. They were fair and reasonable to work with. It wasn’t a hassle. I’m sorry to hear about others stories.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I started with Hartford 6 yrs. ago. First couple of yrs. were fine. Then, they started to increase the value of my home. To them it's increased by $61000.00 in 4 yrs. time. Don't I wish. If that's the case, find me a buyer!! When you try to call them, they just give you the ol' runaround. Customer service is terrible!! I was on hold for 20 minutes, then I was cut off. Now, wouldn't you think they would call you back since they know who they were talking to. Don't get sucked in by their so called low rates. They will only keep increasing them on you!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Best insurance company I have ever done business with. AARP Hartford insurance has been there for me twice. Fast, no hassle claims process. Quick response. Very friendly and helpful concerned staff too. Also, very reasonable rates. I check annually with other companies, and NO ONE has yet to better the Hartford auto or homeowner's insurance costs. Highly recommended. You won't be disappointed!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Help with a tangible loss is what your premium is for and the Hartford came through for us. When you needed them they produced well on their end of the policy agreement. Sometimes You get a mediocre representative but for the most part service has been professional, efficient and consumer friendly. We recommend because they honored claims with good service. It was an easy, no hassle resolution.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They lure you in with a low ball rate just to get you to sign up. But after the first year they jack up your rate more than what other companies charge you. My rate jumped up almost $300 for absolutely no reason at all! No accidents, no tickets. Just pure corporate greed!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They have great prices and customer service. Our boat insurance with Farmers was going up to $650/year. But Hartford provided more coverage for $135/year!! Our coverage on our other vehicles went down by about half.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

This company is the best, and they have always did just exactly what they supposed to do. Sure been good to my family. They have always been there for me and their customer service is awesome. I would highly recommend them to anyone that needs insurance help of any kind.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

The other driver was at fault and their insurance carrier agreed to pay all costs. Hartford just had to process my damage claim on my behalf but payment was made by the other insurance carrier GEICO. The claims process was painless and the experience was efficient. I had a choice to receive payment either from Hartford or Geico as the burden of damage costs was the responsibility of GEICO. Hartford arranged with local collision company to repair the vehicle and payments were made directly to the collision company and arrangements were made by Hartford for a rental vehicle while car was being repaired.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I was shopping for car/house insurance in November. I contacted several companies, including AARP Hartford. He gave me a quote & I said I was just shopping. I ended up with another company December 1st. Two months later I found out Hartford had insured me on December 17th and charged my credit card $1,700. I know it is my mistake for not watching my credit card statement. However, I am not senile and would not have double insured myself. This was pure trickery. They sent me emails saying to e-sign my new policy and I ignored them. They went ahead and processed it anyway. They said they will refund my credit card except for one month. I complained and am working on getting a total refund. This has just ruined a whole day!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Insurance in FL is very expensive, and I have had several different companies. AARP/Hartford has been the cheapest and best price in Florida. They do have a good reputation and being associated with AARP helps.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Jan 2017, they added $400.00, to my full coverage for my 2002 Honda Civic. I had to drop... Uninsured motorist. Jan 2018, they added $200.00, to my full coverage. I had to drop... Collision. ONE MORE YEAR & THEY WILL HAVE = DOUBLED + their total cost, for full coverage car insurance. HOW, does this HELP a senior on a BUDGET??? They do NOT give a DAMN about us - that's the deal.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I have used this insurance for many years now and it is straightforward, easy to understand, always able to give me the time I need and answer all questions no matter how long it takes. They're easy to reach and quick to respond when something needs to be done, and the service is affordable. Customer service always easy to talk to and I am happy with outcomes.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I became fed up with Hartford after they started charging people to pay their own bill. I know it was a small thing, but that prompted me to check out another company -- after 15 years and only one claim 10 years earlier. The very first company I went to for an estimate worked out a plan with the exact same coverage on my automobile, PLUS renter's insurance, which I'd never had through Hartford. My monthly payment went down $30 a month -- and that was including the renter's insurance. That's $30 a month times 15 years (without the renter's insurance) -- in other words $5,400. And that's how AARP helps us Seniors save money? $30 more monthly is a lot for someone living on Social Security. I have not renewed my AARP membership since.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Hartford has great phone customer service, very helpful. The woman who answered the phone at Hartford Ins. was very knowledgeable about my insurance needs. Great job. I was completely satisfied.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have compared rates and coverage several times and AARP with the Hartford is always several hundred dollars cheaper than any other for like coverage. We have been with them for 12 years.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Claims Department always answered calls if not called back after hours and weekend. Realize it was during a Hurricane but my adjuster was truly a super human being. Submitted a vehicle claim in the midst of Hurricane Harvey. In less than 30 days check for rental car (couldn't locate one before claim was settled) & balance left after finance company was paid off check was in my account. Guy they flew in to process my car took me to Enterprise to personally talk to them about a car and took me to the store. Treated me as if I was their only customer in Houston. A+ service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

AARP was very helpful and understanding. I felt better after talking to a representative just by letting me know not to worry. It will be taken care of. AARP in the past has made me realize I can trust my insurance for any inconvenience of an accident. They treat you as an individual not a number. I was very upset after my car was hit and the representative asking if I was physically ok? I said, "Yes I think so." She told me if I feel any discomfort go to the ER because whiplash might happen a day or so later. Sure enough, the next day when I woke I couldn't move. They were apologetic for the accident even though it was the other person that hit my car. Kudos.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I had have car insurance with the Hartford for over 17 years, no accidents, no moving violations and now I discover that the AARP-Hartford is even 350 dollars more expensive than State Farm. I paid the downpayment for another year but I am now looking for a good insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Well I got a quote from Hartford, AARP recommends to check with. Guess what instead of maybe saving $350 - $550 Hartford quoted $1200 more per year than my current insurance. I guess they figure if we are stupid enough we may bite. Just to let everyone know do not waste your time. I chatted online with rep and her statement was that sometime it will not be saving. If the quote was plus/minus $500 I would not spent my time writing this review. Or if there was saving I would make positive review/recommendation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I got Hartford in 09/16/16 and dropped them on 08/31/17. During that period of time, they 2 different times to add drivers to my policy. The last time, it was my niece who didn't even live in the same state. When I called them about this, they wanted me to track her down and have her submit her insurance to them. Since I did not authorize anyone on my insurance, I told them I wasn't doing anything and to cancel my insurance. I went with another insurance agency that day. Now they are trying to bill me for 1/2 a month, even though they actually owe me for 1/2 a month. I will never use this company again. They are a scam, trying to add people just because they have the same address, without permission and making the consumer track down the other individual to verify their insurance. I don't let anyone drive my vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Not only are they completely unprofessional, and they are way more expensive, they allow (maybe even teach) their employees to lie. Stated we had 2 policies. We were unaware of having 2. They canceled one for nonpayment and NO NOTICE! We just paid them $3100.00, 6-months ago (May 2017) for annual premium, and stated we were canceled in October 2017 for nonpayment! No notice and we just find out November 30th! And no reinstatement!! WE WERE UNAWARE WE HAD NO COVERAGE FOR 60-DAYS!!! So now at 55-years old and never missing a payment we are paying triple rates because we are an insurance risk!!! Unless you like to invite problems into your life DO NOT FALL FOR THE AARP HARTFORD TRAP!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

The Hartford is recommended to Seniors by AARP. My initial contact was with a very nice and concerned representative. From that point on the entire process was a complete nightmare. From my experience I cannot understand why an organization that supposedly has the best interest of Seniors as its core consideration, why does it endorse The overpriced The Hartford Insurance Company? Since experiencing the hit and run the cost of my auto insurance went from $103 per month to $151 per month. I contacted the company and made an inquiry regarding the price hike. When asked why I was being charged so much, I was told that it was because the state of Georgia gave an increase to auto insurers in January 2017.

It took almost 2 months to resolve a hit and run that happened to my car. The initial investigator argued that according to how she viewed the photos of my car, that it had to have been mobile when it was hit. After that assessment I was subject to a face-to-face investigative interview wherein the investigator took my photo to establish my identity. The request to take my photo was made even though he was in my home where numerous photos of myself hung on the walls, I gave him my driver’s license with my photo on it, and I provided my insurance card. It was an intrusion into my privacy and something I had never heard of an insurance company doing. Finally, with much back and forth discussion, my claim was finally resolved in my favor.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

When filing a claim the people on the phone made everything easy to understand and to do as they asked. I have had excellent customer service! I would very much like to find a cheaper company, though, especially for the Chevy S-10 that I bought for my son to drive.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My Hartford (through AARP) renewal amount nearly doubled and after many phone calls, found my previous insurance company had erred and indicated that I had a claim they showed as my "fault" rather than "no fault". It happened in 2015 when my car's fender was obviously backed into in a parking lot. So I called my former carrier and inquired why this was listed as fault, they admitted it was noted in error. So they faxed Hartford the correction.

I called Hartford again and was informed that this kind of notation stays on my record for 5 years. What? Therefore that was the cause of the increase in my rate. The person I spoke to checked with the adjuster to correct this error in my billing. She informed me the monthly amount was corrected. Really? Without any claims, tickets, etc. for the past year I found I was still stuck with nearly a $40 increase each month. What a way to run a railroad. What really galls me is that I have this "no fault" on my insurance for 5 years, but if I got a traffic ticket, it's only on for 3 years? What a way to run a railroad. Would I suggest Harford to anyone. Not on a bet!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

In September I decided to return to AARP The Hartford whom I insured with several years ago. The insurance was due to start on the 22nd of September. I was VERY CLEAR about the fact that I drove at least 12,000 miles a year. And on the 21st, the day prior to the insurance becoming active, I called to make changes mainly to add towing and to drop uninsured bodily injury. The company set me a new policy which had the added towing but did not drop the uninsured bodily injury. Also under mileage it had been dropped to 8000 miles per year. I called the company up within the first few days to complain. And all I've gotten so far is a run around. And then wanting to increase my premium because of my mileage.

They never dropped the uninsured bodily which I had requested before their policy ever took effect. They said they would send me some paperwork about it and never did... I have had issues in the past about what is called hard copying somebody would low mileage insurance so I am adamant about the fact that I drive 12,000 miles a year. And the person I spoke with on the 21st of September said that he would recompute my premium. Obviously that was nothing but a bunch of hot air.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I would like to say from the outset that my husband and I have the best credit rating, and have never missed a payment for insurance in the history or our driving since ages 16. We went out of the country for a month. During that time, our credit card was stolen and used for unauthorized payments. We got another credit card number. We had just moved as well, a month prior to leaving the country, and as you well know, the possibilities for mistakes regarding getting mail at a new address, etc. are exaggerated due to a new move. Because our credit card was stolen, the monthly auto payments ceased on our insurance, of which we had no idea. We did not receive anything from Hartford regarding this (although they said we did) and we did not check our email during this time, as we were away internationally and on vacation.

Two months' payments went by unpaid due to their not having our new credit card number, but we were not contacted properly. Our insurance lapsed and to this day, we have nothing in writing saying this and were never contacted. Can't they pick up the phone for God's sake??? Some of our other auto payments were automatically switched to our new credit card number. This lapse has caused us tremendous problems. One of our cars needed a tow, and because we called the insurance company for that, we discovered we had been unknowingly driving without insurance, which thankfully we did not get caught!! Otherwise, we would not have known! We then had to rent a vehicle with insurance since we had no insurance on our own cars!

Also, not having insurance caused it to be more difficult to get insurance and more costly!! We have had it with Hartford! They said they would call back in 48 hours, not 48 business hours, which was incorrect. We have talked with supervisors, and executives, and even offered to pay for an entire year in full, to no avail. I cannot believe that such heartless people, that are so rigid with their company policies and do not take any circumstances of people into consideration are working for ELDERLY people. I totally understand why Hartford’s rating is sooo low! Please consider dropping them as your carrier!

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky