Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Hartford Auto Insurance offers car insurance for those who have been driving for decades. Seniors are given special treatment, and many of the positive reviews say customer service is key.

PROS

• Offers motorcycle insurance
  • Benefits for seniors who take safety courses
  • Partnership with AARP
  • Lifetime repair guarantee
  • No hidden fees
  • Premiums set for 12 months

CONS

• Billing can be confusing for some seniors
  • Rates may increase if you move to certain areas

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Had Hartford for 7 years and experienced good service on claims. 1 major at fault accident, 2 spammers claims and a deer involved accident. Premiums went up accordingly. Switched to Liberty Mutual and premiums went up w/o any claims after 3 years. Went back to Hartford after checking rates. Shopped around again for 2020 and found that Allstate Milewise plan will save me $600 a year. Also received home insurance quote that is $300 a year cheaper. It pays to shop yearly as we are retired. Hartford and had great service but Allstate is rated higher by Consumer Reports.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

AARP policy. Have been with them for years. Rates are always highly competitive and service is outstanding. Website is excellent and easy to navigate. Phone reps are courteous and knowledgeable. I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

AARP the Hartford had the best rates for me and when I have questions or concerns a phone call connects me to a professional and courteous customer service rep plus they have an excellent mobile app or I can go online and pay my bill or make changes to my policy. Highly recommended.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Easy application. You just pick your choices of coverage and you get a price. Mine was reasonable so I paid the bill. You get an online portal to see documents, make payments, and communicate with them if desired. You can make changes to your policy on the site. I've make claims and they were handled in a fast professional way. Quick and easy. And renew ability is guaranteed. All in all a great policy with a great company. I'm very happy with it.

Original review: March 3, 2020

Our premiums are auto deducted from our checking every month and we are enrolled in paperless billing. I noticed that my premiums had almost doubled, and I did not receive a notice of any changes to the policy. I called AARP and spoke to customer service to find out why my premiums had gone up. I was put on hold while the Rep looked into our account. When she came back on the phone she stated that we added a driver to our policy. And that they sent me a letter in the mail to verify that I authorized this person to be on my policy. I stated that there I never received a letter and she stated that it was sent to me twice. I never received a letter of any kind. She then told me that they verify drivers through the department of motor vehicles and this person has my address on their driver’s license. That’s when I thought someone is trying to fraud me.

I asked for this person to be removed off my policy and that I be credited for the last 3 months of fraudulent charges. So, the Rep said yes she could do that but had to get authorization from the underwriter and put me on hold once again. Several minutes later she came back on the phone and stated since I didn’t respond to the letters they sent me in the mail, that they could not credit me those charges. I explained that I don’t know this person and I never received any mail regarding this driver either. She explained there was nothing she could do. So, I asked to speak to someone above her and because it was on a Friday and at the end of the day it wouldn’t be till the following week.

Meanwhile, I said I will find out who this is and I will be getting my money back. The Rep sent me a copy of the policy with the name of Justin ** and a birthdate of 5/12/2000 was added as a driver back in October of 2019. That name “**” Was my last name 12 years ago from my first marriage and I know for a fact that there is no Justin in that family. I called our local sheriff's office to investigate because I wanted to find out who was using my address on the ID. Officer Cody was able to run a check and found out that there is no Justin ** with that birth date or address in any state of the US!! The only individual or individuals that would benefit from the premium increase is AARP! The driver has no vehicles, and does not exist in fact he does not even appear on my proof of insurance!

I believe that someone looked at my credit report seen what my name was back in 2000 and made up a name and birth date and then added the driver to my policy for financial gain.The following day I received another call from AARP and I explained to her what I found out on a recorded line, and she still is refusing to credit me the past 3 months of charges!! I told her you are frauding me on a made up individual and then she went on to say that I was sent an email about this driver and that I have access to my account online so I should have known and still I could not get across to her that your company is telling me they verified this person through the DMV. This is a total lie, because he does not exist. And you first tell me I was sent a letter and now you are telling me I was sent an email which is another lie, because I did not receive an email either!

How many other people are being fraudulently charged higher premiums on added drivers or anything else they want to add to a person’s policy without them knowing, because their premiums are auto deducted? I feel like this is a very big deal!! AARP has reputation for looking out for seniors and now that trust for this company has been completely shattered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

In one word "Awful". 1) First issue - I used the on-line quote of getting the Hartford car insurance for AARP members. The premium amount was $520 more than the quote for a 12-month policy. I was told that was the case because of "1" speeding ticket. Other than that, my record has been near perfect. No accidents and/or other tickets for over 20 years. I thought that was excessive for just 1 speeding ticket so I spoke with rep and so-called supervisor. After back & forth talk, absolutely nothing was done. 2)Second issue - I was also given a premium amount less than 2 week ago for a much lesser amount than the premium that was currently given. Nothing had change in my records within that 2 week period, but somehow the 2 premiums were over $300 in difference. In my case, the premium amounts did not coincide with the incident and conflicting quotes and/or premiums. Long story short, I did not get the insurance.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Asked for a reduced cost when other insurance price increased, I asked for same policy with Hartford agent and paid for the year 1400.00 plus. This year same policy 17000!. Began to get quotes from AAA, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide... For same coverage...When the agents informed me I did not have full coverage with collision but a liability auto policy which should have been half the price (700-900 max) I paid!

When confronted by Better Business Bureau I received a call from a rude woman who gave her name as T from Aarp Hartford.. They represent the majority of seniors in this country yet fraudulent practices. She said she listened to 2 hour phone call with rep. I wanted a copy of the call. Of course, she refused because she knew it was fraud. Please beware of semantics when speaking with aarp hartford agents. In addition, aarp hartford reduced my home policy to half of what I receive now from a top homeowners insurance for twice as much coverage. Alarming!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I was with the Hartford for years without a claim or complaint. I received this year's renewal and discovered that my rates had increased by about 50%. After a phone call I was told that I had filed a claim in mid June of last year???? After thinking that someone had hit a wrong key on their computer "trust me that happens more than you think" They told me that I had called to inquire about a thing that happened to me about that same time I had pulled over with my travel trailer to let some traffic by and apparently brushed an inanimate object with one of the trailers awning arms which pulled the rivets out. I had only called to see if I filed a claim if would increase my deductible and how many quotes I needed to get, I had yet to get a quote.

After several phone calls and demanding to talk to a supervisor was told that since I told them I had an 'incident' that it was on my record even though I paid for the repairs out of pocket total was $488.00 and I have a $500.00 dollar deductible. I never filed a claim but yet my premiums went up???? What a racket!!!! Even charge you when you don't use them. I won't be renewing my AARP membership if this is the company they want to keep.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

They increased my monthly premium from $119 to $247 without a notification. They claim they didn't receive my USPS mail about exclusion of my out of the country daughter and they just added her to my policy without my consent or even a notification. Stay clear, they will lure you in with a competitive rate and change it behind your back.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

AARP should be ashamed to partner with Hartford. We had a tree limb fall on our roof and punch holes. It was all taken care of. The the claims adjuster should never have been on the front line interfacing with customers. He was a total jerk and we had to pull every bit of information out of him. I'm 63 and doing ok. An older person who had a claim (first time ever like ours) would be totally lost with the process (as I was). And of course the rate raises due to our claim. What I don't understand was why our auto insurance went up hundreds of $ even though we've never filed a claim on that. Good-bye Hartford. Saved $1400 total by switching. I trusted AARP and should have read the reviews first!

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor