AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was very excited to become a member of AARP to enjoy the benefits offered to people over 50. I checked into home and auto insurance and found that I could save money. At that time I had a lease vehicle, shortly after I added my daughter to the policy (18 yrs old) with her older vehicle. The price went up but I understood it was because of a young driver.

After a year I turned in my lease vehicle and purchased a used car. My insurance didn't go down it went up. So I searched for a different insurance company, I found one and cancelled both my home and auto insurance on the same day. I received a refund for the house insurance I had paid and a month later a bill for the auto insurance. I ignored it. They should be sending me a refund for the car also.

I now have a bill collector for Hartford telling me that I owe for the month after I cancelled the policy because if I had read their policy (which you don't receive until after you apply and pay the down payment) I would have seen that the policy continues until the following month after I cancel. I told him that they cancelled my house insurance the same day I called and sent the refund check right away. That I was told by the customer service person that BOTH auto and home insurance were cancelled. I owed no money. The bill collector told me that the customer service person for Hartford is third party. She had no business telling me that.

I am expected by Hartford to read my policy that states that I will still owe for the month after I cancel, WHAT?? I have never had this happen every time I have switched my auto insurance. It was cancelled the day I asked them to. This person told me I have to pay him now and take it up with Hartford to get my money back. This is ridiculous and not good business practice... So do I pay the bill collector? When I contact Hartford I get a third party customer service, the one who has no business telling me anything per the bill collector. What do I do?

I wish I would have read the reviews before I got this auto insurance. I had State Farm for years but found Hartford through AARP and I saved quite a bit my first year. I just got a 25% rate increase with no accidents or moving violations. The customer service rep blamed it on other people's accidents, then I read the reviews that everyone has experienced this. Plus I just found out I don't have first accident forgiveness. I will start shopping for insurance somewhere else. This is quite a scam for a reputable company. I am disappointed and feel like I was lied to. I worry about my elderly mother being scammed but thought I was intuitive about scams. This cannot be right. Time to shop around. Ridiculous!

Rate increases are ridiculous. I do agree with these people. However as an AARP subscriber... I wish I didn't have to be a member. Within 2 weeks of clearing my bank I got another bill from AARP for the same amount. Terrible to take advantage of the elderly people who I know will pay this twice. AWFUL...

When I checked into Hartford last year, I was pleasantly surprised at their reasonable rates. Their explanation was that we were not being grouped together with all ages. We were being grouped with other seniors and since that was a more responsible group our premiums would be lower. That sold me and I bought coverage for 3 cars and 2 houses. I got my renewal documents for this year and was flabbergasted that my auto insurance increased 37%. No moving violations, no wrecks and no claims on my record. Explanation: drastic increase in uninsured driver accidents in my state. For this to be true, every uninsured driver in my state would have to specifically target just seniors to run into. The premiums on my rental went up 14% and the premium on our main house went up 6.5%. Again claims and no increase in coverage or value. This brings to mind the old carnival attractions: first they sucker you in but they never let you win.

AARP which boast itself as the largest company for seniors offering the best in service and discounts is the biggest liars more so than the US GOVT when it comes to assisting seniors. Their customer service, people working for them or who represent them are the biggest liars and thieves around as they make promises and deliver nothing. Don't waste your time or money on these people and company as you will only be disappointed and will be out good earned money. AARP is the biggest rip off company in America, and would never recommend this company to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

I had AARP Auto Insurance for a little over a year. I had electronic payments set up and a payment rejected due to insufficient funds. They cancelled my policy for 1 payment that rejected and could have been resubmitted and paid. It just hit before my check auto deposited. I called 2 times to ask to get reinstate and they stated that it already had been reviewed by management and could not be reinstated. Then they tried to report that I had a time period without insurance coverage. Luckily my new insurance agent worked on this and found that was incorrect as well.

I was great customer, no tickets, dui, accidents or claims in 15 years. I never received paperwork for renewed this year. Only realized it till I put new registration in my car. Paid them full price for the whole year which I do every year. I never knew the requirement to have HARTFORD insurance YOU ALSO HAD TO BE MEMBER OF AARP. I be contacting all tv stations to bring attention to the injustice these companies are doing to the good people of America. Please help to fight their injustice and get a lawyer for all. How do we do internet "fund me" to get this done. Thank you.

My wife and I have been AARP members for over ten years and rely on their guidance and recommendations. Three years ago we decided to try AARP/Hartford auto and home insurance. The initial quotes seemed competitive and we signed up. During our three years with AARP/Hartford we had no claims, yet our annual premiums increase dramatically. Auto premiums increased annually by 7.2, 12.7, and 35.1%. Home premiums increased annually by 5.7, 13.9, and 4.3 %. For retirees on a tight budget these increases were hard to accommodate. When we contacted AARP/Hartford they seemed indifferent regarding the increases with an attitude of "take it or leave it". We chose to leave it. It seems like they underbid the initial quotes to get the business and then ramped up the premiums in subsequent years. AARP needs to do a much better job in monitoring the vendors and services they endorse.

Hartford Insurance at AARP gave a good quote for my auto and home policy. I switched from Farmers and my reward was a 10% rate increase the next year and this year a killer 24% rate increase. I have a 40 year no tickets, accidents or claims of any kind. Stay away from Hartford.

Moved to Washington state earlier this year from Texas. Phoned to let The Hartford know new location. We were then told they were canceling our insurance due to the 2 fender bender no-fault incidents. Left us without coverage. They said they would reinstate our insurance at a later date. Tried this fall and were refused again. We had The Hartford for over 16 years. No accidents until the no-fault ones. They are using false advertising saying they do not cancel for minor accidents. Am very disillusioned regarding AARP. Will not be promoting them to anyone. Have read that this happened to others.

I had nothing but problems with The Hartford auto insurance through AARP. I received a letter from them saying I needed to send paperwork within 24hours of buying my new car. First, that time frame is impossible to meet. But, I sent what they asked for. A week later I keep getting letter after letter asking for the same paperwork. So, I kept sending another copy. Then finally I had to start calling trying to find out if they had received the paperwork. Finally they said "yes, it shows in my files." But, because I missed the first required time frame they reduced my insurance and took collision off. Again, unknown to me, even after they got the paperwork, they still did not adjust my insurance to show I had collision.

Two years later a car hits my fender. I call to report the claim and was told I do not have collision. They said they would research the issue and told me I could put the claim into the other driver's insurance company being it was his fault. Weeks went by and nothing from The Hartford. Not until the other insurance called them and told them they settled the claim, did The Hartford call me and then all of a sudden I did have collision. All's they had to do is look in my file. Does not take weeks to do that. They actually waited until I did all the work so they would not have to do anything or spend any of their time or money.

Talk about low life, but that is still not even the kicker. They had the balls to bill me for the adjusted amount for the full two years that they said I did not have collision. This company is bad news. Cost me money and it could have cost me much more if in fact it was my fault and there were serious injuries. I cannot believe AARP still sponsors this insurance company. I have also canceled my AARP.

Several months after enrolling for this year's auto insurance, I received a letter from AARP informing me that, "We inadvertently failed to include a notice about the implementation of a withdrawal fee." Then they said that, because they hadn't notified me, they would be waiving that fee, but turned around and said future withdrawals would include the fee. First, this was not part of what I agreed on, and second, what kind of company charges you for paying your bill? The fee is only $2 but here's the problem: I said I didn't like the idea of being charged a "withdrawal fee" for paying my own bill, so I'd rather just send a monthly check. But it seems that that would cost $5 a month. In other words, it would cost me $60 a year to pay my own bill. This is outrageous! After 15+ years with them (and one small claim 10 years ago), I hope to find a new insurance company that wont search for ways to nickel-and-dime their senior citizens.

We had been with AARP/Hartford Auto/Home insurance for 10+ years. Our auto insurance continued to increase, therefore I started looking to make a change. (We were lucky & found a company that was 1/3 the cost of Hartford's.) I started looking for a company that we could be under an "umbrella type" of policy for both auto/home. One insurance company told us that Hartford's records reflected that we had 8 comprehensive & 2 accidents claims.

We contacted Hartford & found that there were 4 duplicates for comprehensive claims plus 2 accidents (1 in 2006 & 1 in 2009 - both close) all settled & closed. We were told that the duplicates were for internal purposes only, however that was not what the "other" insurance company saw in the public files. Therefore from 2006 through 2016 anytime an insurance company would check, Hartford's system reflected the original claims plus the duplicated. Of course no insurance company could offer decent rates. Since I am a 72 year old male/retired I decided to change auto insurance companies. When I did that my homeowners insurance with Hartford increased by 55%. At this point I have no faith in any insurance company.

I switched my auto and homeowner insurance based on cheap quote by AARP/HARTFORD. After one year they almost doubled my former insurance rate and when I dropped them they kept sending me a bill for over $100 for past due payments and said I didn't cancel my insurance! Lucky for me I'd kept the email I sent them on cancellation ~ Plus I never renewed it when it was due. This whole process was a rip off to give me a Bait and Switch. I'm back with my old carrier on Homeowners at about 1/3 the cost of Hartford and will be back with old insurance on car in February. Beware of lowball scams on insurance taking Seniors money!

I have been with AARP/Hartford Auto/Home Insurance for 25+ years. Recently (July/August) I was hospitalized for a month (with cancer!!) and I got home on the 11th of August. Upon going into my account online with Hartford to pay my premiums, I paid my Auto insurance and went to pay my homeowners. When the account came up, it said it could not be paid, so I called the number listed immediately. I was told I was 1 (one) day overdue with my payment and they had cancelled my homeowners' insurance.

I have since had another surgery and have not had a chance until today to find some insurance. I am a 71 year old widow and totally so angry at Hartford for doing this to me. They should be SO ashamed of themselves for treating a human this way, especially someone that could do nothing about it, being I had no one to pay my premium for me. I am now in the process of trying to find auto/home insurance because I never want to see the Hartford name AGAIN!!

After decades of service through AARP, I found that they were charging me nearly 100% more than the competition. When I obtained new coverage and asked them to cancel, they claim they lost more than six cancellation letters, and continue to try and bill be. With the lowest satisfaction levels I have ever seen, how can AARP continue to support this group?

I just experienced the same 20% rate increase that many others have experienced. I switched to Hartford last year due to the AARP endorsement and the fact that they saved me money over Geico. My recent renewal quote is 20% higher for one car and 25% higher for my second car. The rep gave me the same line about there being an overall statewide increase of 15% for the state of Washington. I had no tickets or accidents on either car in the last year. The rep couldn't explain why my rates were 50% above the statewide increase. I have written to the Hartford President/CEO and AARP and have heard nothing. There are too many reviews on the Internet that are the same as mine to be a coincidence. Both Hartford and the AARP are involved in a bait and switch business - and they should be taken to task.

Have been a long time 20 year customer with Hartford Auto insurance. Perfect driving record. No claims, was slammed with 40% increase in my rates (yes, 40%) this year 2016. No reason give and even the Hartford agent said the company was screwed up, basically punishing preferred customers for all the claims they had to pay out last year and recommended switching! Don't even start looking deeply into this company. 60 minutes did documentary on their CORRUPT illegal activities in keeping and spending people's LIFE insurance policies, not notifying the deceased beneficiaries.

Almost all the complaints in ConsumerAffairs about AARP/Hartford auto insurance relates to unjustified rate increases. That lousy outfit has increased my rates by 20% every year for the last 4 years. I have no tickets nor accidents for at least the last 15 years. It is obvious that AARP and Hartford introduced a plan to take advantage of senior citizens by getting them to switch and then bait them. I will complain to both AARP and the Texas Insurance Board. AARP you ought to be ashamed of yourself for promoting this greedy insurance company. I will certainly not renew my AARP membership.

Several years ago I got a quote from Hartford for auto insurance based on the AARP endorsement. The quote was around $300 a year less than I was paying. I gave the quote to my current agent and he suggested if I could get the Hartford price I should take it. I did. Guess what happened. At the end of the first year the price went up more than $300. I called for an explanation and I was told that Hartford had "re-evaluated" their Illinois rates. Based on the number of Hartford complaints I see my assumption is Hartford pays AARP for their endorsement and AARP does nothing to keep an eye on Hartford's performance. As a result I ignore any endorsements or suggestions made by AARP as they are worthless.

I contacted AARP/The Hartford Customer Service, and the individual I spoke to only gave me double-talk, but no good reason why my auto insurance policy was raised by 20 percent. I changed over to The Hartford through AARP last year, and was given a good rate so I switched to The Hartford. Now one year later, with no negative issues during the past year, because there have been (no moving violations, or tickets of any kind, and no accidents), they raise my policy rate. I have 3 vehicles, a primary residence, and a rental property that I switched to be insured by The Hartford, but I do not see any benefit to me. They raised my rate by 20 percent after only one year, and now my rate is almost exactly what I was paying Allstate at the time I switched to AARP's The Hartford. This looks more like a bait-and-switch, since there is no obvious reason for a 20 percent increase.

When I spoke to the Customer Service representative he tried to tell me that there was a large increase in auto insurance throughout the State of Nevada. He then switched to telling me that one of the reasons was because my wife received a speeding ticket, and I had an accident. When I told him that these issues happened before I switched to The Hartford, and were known by The Hartford at the time I switched, he then went back to saying that the rates were increased statewide. Again, he could never tell me why my policy went up 20 percent after one year with no accidents and no moving violations.

I also sent an email to AARP and I haven't heard anything back from them. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since The Hartford replied to my email by asking me to call their Customer Service, versus providing what I asked for in my email, and that is a written and detailed explanation of why my auto insurance went up by 20 percent! They can't do it because there isn't any legitimate reason!!! Bait and Switch!

My next email is going to be on the military.com site to let the millions of active, retired, reserve and national guard personnel see exactly how AARP and The Hartford do business, and let them decide if AARP/The Hartford is a organization/company they would like to do business with. I am very sure that the unjustified amount of the increase The Hartford put on my policies will pale in comparison to what doing this type of business will eventually cost them.

It has now been over 3 months and still waiting for my 2006 Mini Cooper S, (pristine condition) to be totally fixed! I was involved in a 'no fault accident', police came and no tix or fine to me. I am 63 years old with absolutely no history of tix or fines. My 2006 Mini Cooper S has only 47,000 miles on her (for 10 years, good history and deemed a 'safe driver' thru the Hartford). I was able to have her mechanically fixed thru a foreign motor shop owner for $3200 with whom I've always used. Appraiser from The Hartford told owner of foreign motor shop, "All Mini parts are made in China." NOT true at all ("Mini parts are made in Germany or Britain", shop owner replied). And even if appraiser wanted him to use after market parts, too few to use for Mini. That was battle # 1.

Battle #2 - Mini is drivable and used 'preferred' body shop thru The Hartford. Again, appraiser is totally inept! Appraiser accused me of 'more damage' that I supposedly did in same area of original damage AFTER mechanically repaired. WHAT!!! I know what 'they' are trying to do - Mini was considered 'totaled' after 3-4 weeks in mechanical shop per appraiser but fixed leaving me with a balance of $1,050 for body repair - WHAT! Body repair is about $5,000 and the Hartford is stalling! I don't think by laws in NH that once mechanically drivable, The Hartford can 'total' my car!!! TOTAL JERKS!

Have escalated to Supervisor as Insurance rep and Appraiser totally clueless. Ready to write to corporate. Supervisor was helpful at first, but, as well, caught in lies per email correspondence to me. I keep all emails, responses to them and documents from 'them' and they ARE just SIMPLY THE WORST company for car insurance. I am a responsible 63 year old woman and was 'sucked into' by AARP - The Hartford!

Called for auto quote since I am over 55 per AARP referral. Was provided a monthly rate of $318 due to a no fault accident. Hartford advertises "will not be dropped due to accident" and "accident forgiveness"... such advertisement conflicts with what they actually do. If you are found not at fault per their advertisements you should not have that held against you, especially when you were hit from behind while sitting in traffic! AARP should not only disassociate themselves, but the federal government should do something about this company... Borderline discriminatory!

My car died on the side of a six-lane highway today. I called the insurance company to request a tow. They referred me to the correct people for that. I was informed after 45 minutes of waiting that I had no tow coverage. I was horrified, as I have (I thought) always had road service. Apparently I have it for the motorhome, but not for my vehicles. I do read the fifty pages of legalese they send every year at the beginning of the insure period, but never realized that I did not have road service. The road service on the motorhome is included, but it is not obvious that it is not included on the cars, and all three are bundled on one policy. Considering the costs and the few times I have ever needed road service this seems to me to be a pretty petty way of bilking the customer.

When another vehicle cut me off in traffic and scratched his rear quarter panel on my bumper, the police accepted his word that he had been run into by my truck. This went to arbitration and even though Hartford had pictures showing no damage to my bumper and my explanation of the accident (The courts had disallowed the police report). I have not had an accident or ticket in many years. Hartford accepted a judgement against me and raised my rates. They may have lower initial rates but they make up for it at arbitration. I no longer insure my three vehicles with them and have found superior coverage.

My insurance for 2015 was $1034. My premium for 2016 is $1930. I called The Hartford and was told that my wife had an accident, which she had. We paid the $785 to Enterprise to settle the claim. We did not claim anything with Hartford. But, because she had an "accident", our premium went up even though Hartford had paid nothing. AARP should be looking for another, honest, company to carry their insurance. I'm quitting Hartford and AARP. They are both full **. "Taking care of the +50 group". Right!!!

April of this year I wrote the following to AARP on my Hartford insurance. After getting my first speeding ticket in more than 30 years, Hartford wanted to raise my annual premium $150.00. I had to drop my Comp to afford continuing to have auto insurance. Then I get my annual bill and find out it went up $38.00. I wrote the following, which they responded with the following, but I never heard anything more, so I called them. Got the run around about how they are the only insurance company that guarantees a rate for a year... blah, blah, blah. What get me more than anything is my home insurance has increased year-by-year as well, and I've never filed a claim. Hartford says that because of my age, which I'm only 60, and of course their costs they have to raise rates yearly.

Funny thing is, Hartford only insures people over 50. You know why? Because they have the best driving records, least accidents and tickets. I'm looking to change. This false advertising that they do isn't worth the small difference. However, most insurance companies are in it for the profits. It's that 1% wealth hitting Americans.

My rate just went up over $200 per year. The reason? I was told I drove over 7000 miles. I have not had any accidents or claims. I may have put incorrect info on a questionnaire about my odometer reading. It was probably an 8 and I read 0. The fact that as a senior, a good driver who used the Truelane program, I feel totally betrayed by this AARP Ins. program. If I had any claims I might understand an increase.

My husband was comparing auto/renter's insurance quotes online this past February 2016. We discovered very low rates for both Progressive Insurance and the Hartford. (Note: We have had State Farm coverage for the last 10 years and have been very happy; however, this year, despite having no tickets, claims, or accidents, our insurance rates went up). I contacted the Hartford by phone to confirm the rates that my husband had received online. I spoke with Don, who confirmed the exact same rates for both auto and renter's insurance, with the added information that in Michigan, where we now reside, we would be required to purchase a yearly $16.00 AARP membership, to be eligible to purchase this insurance. I asked many questions and wrote down specifics that Don communicated, including monthly checking account withdrawals, monthly fees, etc.

Two months passed, and I decided to contact the Hartford again, though this time I spoke with a representative named Bonnie. I asked the same questions of Bonnie that I had asked previously of Don, then tweaked (changed) both deductibles to our auto and renter's insurance. Bonnie gave me a quote for each that was a combined $24.76 cheaper than the rates that Don had quoted. Elated, I contacted Hartford again, two days later, to purchase this insurance and to give them our financial information. This time I spoke with Arlene, who listened attentively to my two previous insurance quotes from Hartford. When I asked her to confirm our most recent quotes from Bonnie, Arlene put me on 'hold' to check out this information with her supervisor. Ten minutes later, when she returned to the phone, she stated that she could not give us the rates that either Don or Bonnie had quoted me in earlier conversations.

Despite no changes to our driving record(s), non-attendance to driving school, or previous claims to State Farm Insurance, she stated that we would now be paying an additional $58.03 for both of our insurance coverages. I objected and asked to speak with her supervisor. She asked if I had a written statement (through the form of e-mail) from either Don or Bonnie, confirming the quotes they had previously given. I stated that I had taken careful notes, and could recite specifically what I had discussed with each agent. Bottom line: poor transparency. We ended up staying with State Farm. I am very disappointed in the Hartford's treatment of us (I contacted them a total of three times, with my husband spending time online getting quotes from various insurance carriers). Arlene offered no apologies, and I intend to file a claim with the BBB for their inability to back the rates that are communicated over the phone.

I made an inquiry for an auto policy pricing. I received 4 different prices each getting higher as the procedure went along. I told them that I needed to talk and confirm with my wife to proceed. However, on the 1st of the month I discovered an unauthorized draft pulled from my bank account. It was $100+ higher than their quote and higher than my current policy. This to me was misrepresentation and theft. Now I must wait 12+ days to get my money back. AARP this is bad representation for what you try to portray. I wish I had read the reviews prior to thinking they were an honest company.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.
  • Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.
  • Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.
  • Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.
  • Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.
  • Best for Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Compare Auto Insurance