Find the Best Match

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
2.75/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

530 AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

After having auto ins with them (no claims ever) I received an online quote for Homeowners lol! I have a policy with State Farm now with better coverage for $1100.00 per year. AARP/Hartford quoted both online and phone $12,000.00 per year. AARP you should reevaluate your association with The Hartford. They are A JOKE. Never again will I do any business with them. And AARP your sponsorship of them make you look piss poor in my opinion. Will have to reevaluate my membership.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My electrical claim with the Hartford is now one month old and has yet to be adjusted! After TWO recommendations for service providers from the adjuster and SUPERVISOR, my car is still in limbo. One recommended did not handle electrical claims and the Second does not handle INSURANCE CLAIMS! WHAT GIVES?

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I am not a member of Hartford Insurance and because of Sherry ** - I never will be. This women was not only sarcastic and rude, she was immature. The reason for Insurance is to protect against financial loss when something unexpected occurs. When something tragic happens you expect the person on the other end of the phone to be somewhat compassionate. She shouldn't be in the insurance business. She was not only rude to me she was rude to the auto shop my automobile was serviced at. Example: when I was very upset and I stated, "This doesn't make sense"... her reply "yes it does." I said, "No, it does not make sense." She would cut me off saying, "Yes it does," like a 2 year old. I tried to call a manager, no response. I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with her.

Original review: July 23, 2018

The AARP rates are good but the policies are not covering what you would expect and not knowing what questions to ask results in reduced reimbursements and higher premiums with one accident even if a fender bender. While the beginning process with filing and the adjuster are superb, after that was much less than desirable.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had been a wonderful customer of the Hartford for a very long time and only had one accident that was not my fault, always paid my bill on time, never late, had multiple cars with them etc, last year after turning 63 I bought a new car and was shocked at the high rate they gave me! I asked them to explain but they couldn't. I told them I was going to shop around. They didn't care, so I found at least 2 other companies who would give me a much lower rate for the same coverage, I called again and they wouldn't change the high rate so I switched and when I did they charged me a cancellation fee which was never mentioned in previous calls, the only reason I can come up with for their actions is after a certain age they start dropping their customers so older people beware.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: July 13, 2018

I recommend Hartford. They are helpful, friendly, and they appear to be honest. I had my questions answered and there was follow up from the agency. No hassle and easy access to information and repair to my SUV. It was easy to file and collect on a claim. I didn't have to wait on an adjuster. The cost of the policy was cheaper than their competitors. We have our home insurance with them too. The package deal is not much cheaper but there is a price break.

Original review: June 29, 2018

They went out of their way to ensure that I was happy and kept me informed every step of the way. I was not kept on hold for long periods of time - I virtually was dealt with immediately. They were courteous and efficient.

Original review: June 29, 2018

AARP is a rip-off. I bought into this senior discount BS and paid the 16.00 but never again. I got a letter through the mail offering auto insurance so I thought I would take a look. I pay 109.00 for Farm Bureau auto insurance. Hartford gave me a quote for 340.00 a month over 4000.00 a year. I don’t want their damn card.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I get a discount for having all my insurance with them. I get a discount for being a senior citizen and not driving at night. I can call them if I have an accident on the road and they will send help. They are very courteous on the phone.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Always friendly, always willing to take the time to explain in as much detail as I needed. This was before I went to work for a rival company. After that, it was like talking to a colleague. Filing a claim was handled quickly and with respect. Accurate information. Not afraid to say "I don't know, but let me find out." I have worked in customer service for over 40 years, and The Hartford is one of the best I've ever interacted with.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My wife and I are very satisfied with the Hartford and have not had any problems with their products or service. They have been very responsive when I had questions concerning my coverage and cost of coverage.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My rate went up 40% in one year! We drive less than 8,000 miles a year. No accidents, tickets, or claims. Their explanation was that there are a lot of bad drivers in Florida and the cost of insuring them is shared by the safe drivers. Really? Here's a novel idea: deny insurance to bad drivers. Deny them licenses. Get them off the road! We'll all be a lot safer and our premiums will be affordable.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had a claim put in with The Hartford after a diesel truck recap tire came off a truck destroying most of the running gear under the car. I was told to take it to an AARP shop (which is not and has not been an AARP shop) who "farmed my car out" to a 2nd shop. The serpentine belt was knocked loose from the impact of the front end dropping to the road and destroying brake hubs, assemblies, axles, connecting rods, the entire rack and pinion system, all computers, traction control systems and more.

The first shop tried to say the oil pump froze up causing the belt to come off. I kept the core which is NOT frozen (they used the original belt which shows NO damage) so I took it to Les Schwab and Twisted Wrenches (both highly reputable) giving the adjuster two separate estimates with both describing the damage consistent with the accident. As of June (2016) the claims department simply refused to have ANY contact with me. Even my family didn't believe this until I gave them all the numbers, and THEY never received a call in over a month. No resolution ever presented itself, and now I am in debt to my bank as I had no choice due to medical problems and couldn't pay it back.

No medical bills have been paid and I still have issues related to a head injury. NOW I was the victim of a hit and run by another diesel truck, and though I chased THIS guy and at least got his license number since he refused to pull over, but I am afraid to even "call" a claim in, and The Hartford seems to NOT have any way of written communication. THIS is what allows claims reps to lie, obfuscate, divert and/or promise anything. You can't PROVE it! If anyone DOES have an email address for a claims supervisor or director for SW WA, please leave a comment. I will try to keep people informed. Oh...to save your time, the Insurance Commissioner in WA is absolutely useless when dealing with the Hartford. They are above the law. I don't know what to do when even the law doesn't help.

Original review: May 19, 2018

AARP acted quickly and helped me a lot by never dragging things out. Had to have windshield replaced 3 or 4 times in one week due to repairs being made on highway going to work. No problems with arguing, AARP just took care of it 100% each time. Wind blew ladder up against side of truck and they paid for it, again not questioning it.

Original review: May 18, 2018

When the company takes good care of me I just have no problems. So other than the initial contact I have had with AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance no reason to bother them!

Original review: May 17, 2018

The AARP/Hartford customer service always helpful and extremely courteous. When my antique auto was totaled, received fair replacement value. Also towed timely manner. So far, happy with AARP Hartford.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Their first and major concern was me not the accident. It was so easy and without trying to put blame and the next time I spoke with them was about the settlement. It was a good experience. If you are looking for insurance look no further. I am living proof. And when it's time for my payment too I am always notified so I know ahead of and it always keeps me from making mistakes.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My husband and I are senior citizens who drive old cars: mine is a 2003, my husband's car a 2012 vehicle with over 100,000 miles on it. Last year we contacted Hartford as the recommended AARP insurance for a quote on our car insurance (liability). We were quoted $2400 for both cars for two years coverage. This sounded like a good deal well within reach of elderly people on a very fixed income. Imagine our surprise when we received an invoice a year later for a renewal of our ONE policy in the amount of $2471.00! Of course I called the Hartford right away and was told that the Hartford never issues two year policies. Personally, I feel like an agent made misleading and actually false claims to make a sale. I am amazed that AARP as quasi-agent for the aged will allow their insurance of choice to do that. We certainly will not ever purchase another Hartford Insurance product.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I'm 71 years old, and when I first got insurance from AARP/HARTFORD it was in 2016 after leaving American Family. I/we had been with AMFAM for 12 yrs, and they decided to raise our premiums, so we chose to seek out another company (AARP/HARTFORD). When we first started with Hartford our premiums were awesome (2-autos & home). Then in 2017 they raised our premiums up $20.79. That wasn't good for us considering my wife, and I are both seniors; I'm retired, but she's still working. That's why we originally left AMFAM, AND THEY WERE AWESOME! As for customer service, when I first spoke to them in 2016 they were totally awesome. Haven't spoke to them since the raise, but if our policies raise again in 2018 we will obtain a new insurance company, and cancel our present one!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I bought insurance from them and it's a nightmare from hell. The fact that AARP Hartford gave the wrong VIN number to Public Service Credit Union is how it started I can't believe the AARP blame me for this mistake. Ok in the very beginning of the story it's a snowstorm and I was in the fast lane and the tire goes down. Every light comes on at 4 o'clock in the morning. I call AARP towing company and they bring a flatbed truck and take care of it getting it on the truck and take us to PEP Boys and we wait for them to open the door and a Mexican who did not speak good English and Spanish class I didn't have. Anyway I know what he was doing. Taking my car into the shop and the car was put up into the air and the people who were there is him, no manager and I asked him to send my bills for the tire.

GAP who did not pay for the tire I was trying to get the bill paid so I asked my Grandmother and she paid in full for my car tire then we heard a loud sound. We run to the window and saw my car on the floor and it was in the air. They lied and said the Manager was there and the car didn't run again and it was taken out by a tow truck by another company R&H Motors. They told my insurance company that the engine was cracked. AARP add my husband that at that time he lived with his sister. I was just picking up a car from Enterprise that they paid for AARP Hartford insurance company so I had to get my car home because they were only going to pay for the oil pan and that is what they did.

My car was on a tow truck from R&H Motors. That was April/ 6/ 2016. My car never ran again. I have a garage. I thought that AARP Hartford would call me and I thought Public Service Credit Union would call me because I called both of them plus GAP who knew that the engine was cracked and the car would not run again. I stopped believing in all of them in November so I didn't pay for the car and I didn't pay for the insurance company. We push it out on the street, called Public Service company to come over November 25, 2016. They had the wrong VIN plus they came in November, they took pictures of the car and replace the car oil pan. I'm still trying to get justice for what they all did to me for the VIN being mixed up, Public Service Credit Union add extra insurance on my car and I called litigation and talk with Shown and his boss and they were mean and they would not take the extra insurance off my car.

When they finally took off the extra they added extra on to my car extra fees so I could not get my car back and they sold it. I called them every day about my car. Each of those company and I have tried to fix my car credit but I can't leave this problem alone. It was my car and I was trying to figure out who would even consider helping me.

I got a lawyer and I guess I have to get a lawyer who deals with this kind of case because they are on a recorded line and that is proof and why did they replace the oil pan if the car didn't fall and I had a rental that they add to my account just because I didn't have a credit card then AARP Hartford insurance company policy went to me owing 600 dollars and I could not have a account for another year. They had the wrong VIN and add a stranger to my account. That was how I met my husband. I can't believe how much big business treated me. They Made Me PUT a star in order to send this review. None of them have a STAR. Recommended keep buying from Capital One and get your financial situation turn around. That is the Best Financing COMPANY in the world CAPITAL ONE!!!

Original review: April 6, 2018

I really don't know what is happening over at AARP. Apparently renewing my auto insurance is going to bump up my price by $2,000 plus and when I spoke with whomever on the phone they told me it was to pay for the California fires last year. WHAT? Also I was told that the increase reflected some 3 years gone headlight fix it ticket, but is a mistake. W H A T?!

Original review: March 27, 2018

A few weeks ago The Hartford sent my 80 year old mother a $500 premium increase on her auto insurance policy. She has never had an accident. Rightfully I was upset, so I called for clarification and was talked in circles by a representative who offered only Trumponian logic as an explanation. Being angry, I expressed myself on social media and received an message from The Hartford feigning concern and requesting my mother’s policy number so they could look into her case and contact her. They never did.

However, less than a week later I received a letter in the mail from The Harford and it seems they have raised my premium $500 as well. You connect the dots. If I can prevent just two other people from signing with The Harford then I will feel I have done what I can. This company is immoral and unethical and in an ever-increasing immoral and unethical world I feel the need to call them out and I will use my extra time to shine a light on such shady practices in an attempt to make as many people as possible aware of the fraud that is The Hartford.

Original review: March 27, 2018

They lure you in with a low ball rate just to get you to sign up. But after the first 3 months they jack up my rate more than what other companies charge me, they will make new company rules and stated staff did not know about, or "I just found out myself." Another way to scam older people for their money. My advice to you stay away from company with no name in this business, my policy number used to be **. And the supervisor name was Lee.

Original review: March 13, 2018

After having AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance for about 10 years, some of our miserable experiences: An apparent Albuquerque gangbanger (one of an army of them here in New Mexico, check the crime stats) one day followed me to my parsonage. While he called the cops falsely accusing me of running into him, I called the cops to report him stalking me. I was not involved in any accident with him nor anyone else, and there was zero evidence to prove such an accident. I was assured by the AARP/Hartford claims adjuster, Jeremy **, that I had nothing to worry about and that my premiums would not increase. I had been totally accident-free for 10+ years before this false accusation and up to and including today.

Months after this fake accident, I learned that our premiums had skyrocketed, and the reason was that the false accuser filed with his insurance company, which held a secret arbitration and decided 100% in favor of the false accuser. I never was told about this arbitration, never was allowed to present my side, never was informed by AARP/Hartford that I "lost" this secret case nor that they were increasing my premiums. AARP/Hartford provided the lamest defense for me in the annals of arbitration cases; clearly intending for me to lose so they could skyrocket our premiums, which they did.

AARP/Hartford refused to provide me any info. relevant to this so-called arbitration, and our corrupt New Mexico state insurance officials defending them, fraudulently claiming that since the proceedings were a legal "work-product" I had no right to know what they were, nor even what alleged evidence they presented (if they even consider evidence), nor even a copy of their decision. Being linked to AARP - clearly like a monstrous Siamese twin - which we were members, we bought our auto insurance with Hartford because of our trust in AARP. We later came to the belief that AARP, while it used to be pretty good for Seniors, had clearly morphed itself into some hideous corrupt money-grabbing beast.

When the AARP/Hartford talks about "accident forgiveness", it clearly does not apply to its policyholders, but to its corporate chiefs who forget to strap on their adult diapers before stepping onto their luxury yachts we were paying for. We had several vehicles insured by the AARP/Hartford. When I sold one and did not replace it, I called the AARP/Hartford, and was told that because I had sold a truck and now had less vehicles, it was going to have to INCREASE our premiums! AARP/Hartford constantly made costly mistakes in our paperwork that somehow always seemed to result in higher premiums for us. Whenever I complained, its people would "play the stupid" to excuse their mistakes, but not a penny ever returned to us.

We switched our auto insurance to another company and now pay about 1/3rd of the rip-off premiums AARP/Hartford was charging us. I had to repeatedly try to cancel the AARP/Hartford insurance, it kept on billing us after I kept telling it that we had quit it. Thank God, we did not have one of those automatic bank withdrawal or credit card accounts with AARP/Hartford.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Are you sick of people staring down at their phone? My God just drive already! So I get rear ended by some ding dong school girl driving her mom’s/granny’s car (Jan 2012). I always scan my mirrors frequently (once avid motorcyclist) so as to be on the alert. I see this girl looking down at her device as she hits me from behind (10mph) not very hard. Messed up my tailgate etc. She never puts the phone down. Cops show up. Still won’t put down phone. Cop asked my side. Cop asks her story but can’t get an answer as she still won’t put phone down! Anyways I get a call from the Hartford after I got a damage estimate. They paid for a fair price, and my time outta work in lieu of neck tweak. They were fair and reasonable to work with. It wasn’t a hassle. I’m sorry to hear about others stories.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I started with Hartford 6 yrs. ago. First couple of yrs. were fine. Then, they started to increase the value of my home. To them it's increased by $61000.00 in 4 yrs. time. Don't I wish. If that's the case, find me a buyer!! When you try to call them, they just give you the ol' runaround. Customer service is terrible!! I was on hold for 20 minutes, then I was cut off. Now, wouldn't you think they would call you back since they know who they were talking to. Don't get sucked in by their so called low rates. They will only keep increasing them on you!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Best insurance company I have ever done business with. AARP Hartford insurance has been there for me twice. Fast, no hassle claims process. Quick response. Very friendly and helpful concerned staff too. Also, very reasonable rates. I check annually with other companies, and NO ONE has yet to better the Hartford auto or homeowner's insurance costs. Highly recommended. You won't be disappointed!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Help with a tangible loss is what your premium is for and the Hartford came through for us. When you needed them they produced well on their end of the policy agreement. Sometimes You get a mediocre representative but for the most part service has been professional, efficient and consumer friendly. We recommend because they honored claims with good service. It was an easy, no hassle resolution.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They lure you in with a low ball rate just to get you to sign up. But after the first year they jack up your rate more than what other companies charge you. My rate jumped up almost $300 for absolutely no reason at all! No accidents, no tickets. Just pure corporate greed!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They have great prices and customer service. Our boat insurance with Farmers was going up to $650/year. But Hartford provided more coverage for $135/year!! Our coverage on our other vehicles went down by about half.

Not sure about AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Insurance for you.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

Hartford
CT
www.thehartford.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business