Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
1.67/5

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Hartford Auto Insurance offers car Iinsurance for those who have been driving for decades. Seniors are given special treatment, and many of the positive reviews say customer service is key.

PROS

• Offers motorcycle insurance
  • Benefits for seniors who take safety courses
  • Partnership with AARP
  • Lifetime repair guarantee
  • No hidden fees
  • Premiums set for 12 months

CONS

• Billing can be confusing for some seniors
  • Rates may increase if you move to certain areas

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I called on a recommendation from my brother to lower my auto rates. The CSR was very slow on the phone gathering information, then he evidently misunderstood what I was saying because he ended up not able to give me even a verbal quote. He said I had to wait in the mail 7-10 days for a paper to sign saying I wouldn’t have my 27-year old on my policy even though he hasn’t been for 10 years and I didn’t plan on having him on. I waited 8 days to receive this paper, so decided to and called back. The CSR couldn’t understand the notes and still couldn’t give me a rate quote, so I requested a supervisor. He said there wasn’t one available and that he’s have one call me call. Let me point out that my husband and I have excellent driving records so that was not an issue. I never received a call so ended up going with another company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Hartford suddenly raised my rates 37.25% with no advance warning, and for no reason whatsoever. I never made a claim. I haven't had an at-fault accident of any kind since the 1980's. Hartford billed my bank account on May 6, 2019, but then, after I cancelled the policy (due to the rate increase) on May 30, 2019 (12:01 am), they sent me a bill for over $82 in June! And now I'm being badgered by a collection agency! Since when does an insurance company bill you in June for coverage in May that you cancelled before the end of May? Beware this company! They will raise your rates substantially for no reason at all, even with a perfect driving record, and will then bill you after you cancel!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

AARP the Hartford had the best rates for me and when I have questions or concerns a phone call connects me to a professional and courteous customer service rep plus they have an excellent mobile app or I can go online and pay my bill or make changes to my policy. Highly recommended.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

AARP policy. Have been with them for years. Rates are always highly competitive and service is outstanding. Website is excellent and easy to navigate. Phone reps are courteous and knowledgeable. I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

In 2019, I had damage done to my front fender of my 2008 Toyota Highlander. No other car was involved. In 2010, I was hit by a driver who ran a stop sign. Hartford was able to recover their money from that driver's State Farm Ins. Nevertheless, my monthly premium was increased by $30. My issue is that AARP Hartford pretends to be an insurance for seniors. That is untrue. I've now received notification that Hartford has double the annual cost of my insurance to over $2,000.00.

When I called them to question why, I was told it was because of the 2019 accident. I could reduce the amount if I agreed to discontinue the "collision part of my coverage, given the age of my truck. It is a 2008 with 60,000 miles. Given that my husband was very ill in 2019 and subsequently died in that same time period, I am just now finding time to write a review regarding this company's care toward seniors. I would not recommend this insurance over any others that are out to rip consumers regardless of ages. I'm truly upset that AARP allows its name to be attached to them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been a Hartford customer for years with no claims. Recently, I called to get a quote to add a vehicle. I mentioned to the agent that my daughter was driving this vehicle but it was in my name. She had moved home for a few weeks in between jobs. He got me a quote. I decided it was too high and told him I would not be doing it. She already had obtained other insurance on it that was in effect. I thought that was the end of it. Until the next day when I got an email from the Hartford saying they had added my daughter as a driver to all my vehicles and my premium was not $700 more. What? I told him not to add her.

She was only staying here temporarily and she didn't drive my cars. I called the Hartford but they have refused to remove her. That's fine. That's their choice. I regret ever calling for that quote and being honest. I am now switching all my insurances to another local company. I hope it was worth it for the Hartford. What they did was deceptive. So use at your own risk.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Easy application. You just pick your choices of coverage and you get a price. Mine was reasonable so I paid the bill. You get an online portal to see documents, make payments, and communicate with them if desired. You can make changes to your policy on the site. I've make claims and they were handled in a fast professional way. Quick and easy. And renew ability is guaranteed. All in all a great policy with a great company. I'm very happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

The saying is true, you don't know what you have until you need it. I am so glad I have AARP car insurance from the Hartford. They really helped me when my car was run into, and I had to deal with the other insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am very happy with my Hartford/AARP auto insurance policy. I initially chose the policy because of the great discount. My son was in an accident driving my car at which he was at fault. We called in the claim at the scene of the accident and the car was quickly towed away. The claim rep immediately went into action and made arrangements. The car was totaled but the final claim adjustment was very fair. It had some custom work and we were reimbursed for that also. The claim was settled to our satisfaction and payment received within a couple of weeks. And even better they did not raise our rates.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

While I have not had to file a claim with my Hartford auto insurance, I have very manageable payments each month and the interface on their website is simple to navigate. I have had one direct contact with the company when I signed up and they even helped me with my cancellation of my other insurance, which was amazing to me. I am happy with the coverage and feel confident that The Hartford is a great company.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky