2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5

The AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford offers car insurance for drivers in most states. Coverage comes with multiple perks, and special savings and benefits are available to safer, more experienced drivers. Applicants must be registered AARP members and at least 50 years old, but those who qualify can get a free, no-obligation quote in eight minutes or less.

BOTTOM LINE

Hartford Auto Insurance offers car insurance for those who have been driving for decades. Seniors are given special treatment, and many of the positive reviews say customer service is key.

PROS

• No hidden fees
  • Premiums set for 12 months
  • Partnership with AARP

CONS

• Billing is confusing for some seniors
  • Rates may be higher in some areas
AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Get a Quote

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

AARP Hartford is great car insurance. Consistently gives the best rates and discounts that fit our changing lifestyle and auto usage. Superb customer service. Bundled with home or renter insurance drops rates further.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I have been with Hartford for many years and have never had a problem with them. The car we had was a 1996 Toyota that we bought from our neighbor and she had a small wreck with it, it was not too small of a wreck. Front bumper started to fall off. Went looking for a car and we had our credit checked 17 times. Because of the number of times, our credit score went up a lot. Hartford did raise our premium quite a bit. No problem tho, we were not cancelled like we would have been with another company.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: July 25, 2020

Purchase through AARP senior discounts saved us a lot of money. In the past we’ve had Allstate, Prudential, Liberty Mutual and few others. However the Hartford claims department is outstanding. When you file a claim they provide all the necessary accommodations required to keep you active. I can’t say enough great things about the Hartford insurance company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Had Hartford for 7 years and experienced good service on claims. 1 major at fault accident, 2 spammers claims and a deer involved accident. Premiums went up accordingly. Switched to Liberty Mutual and premiums went up w/o any claims after 3 years. Went back to Hartford after checking rates. Shopped around again for 2020 and found that Allstate Milewise plan will save me $600 a year. Also received home insurance quote that is $300 a year cheaper. It pays to shop yearly as we are retired. Hartford and had great service but Allstate is rated higher by Consumer Reports.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

After years with them with 2 cars, I sold one car and the insurance went UP by $30. I think not - hello Geico. Not to mention these people don't what they are doing there. Bad company - how does AARP get behind them????

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

As AARP members we thought getting auto and homeowners insurance through The Hartford would be a good deal. Unfortunately it wasn't. My wife and I have spotless driving records, no tickets or accidents, and we drive older Subarus. I've owned houses for about 40 years and never submitted a claim, until recently. The Hartford seemed to go out of their way to deny the claim without even looking at the damage.

While we were dealing with the house issue I started looking around at auto quotes and was shocked. Other major companies had the same coverage with additional benefits for roughly 50% of what The Hartford was charging us. We switched immediately. After dealing unsuccessfully with them on the house issue for several months we gave up, cancelled the homeowner's insurance, and switched to another company - once again at lower rates and with a much lower deductible. The old guidance about shopping around still applies - shop around until you find the best deal.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Attempted to purchase new insurance. My policy was expiring in three weeks. I filled out all information on line. Something apparently was lost in the translation. Five days before my policy was to expire I called to find out that they had incorrectly filled out my paperwork with part of my PO address and the city and state of my residence. I never received policy in the mail. I was advised that there would be an increase in my policy to boot, since they input half of my PO Box address and half of my residence address. Needless to say, I cancelled the policy and went to Liberty Mutual who had a better rate and correctly filled out my paperwork.

Original review: July 14, 2020

When I applied for Hartford Auto Insurance, they appeared to give me a few discounts. They asked me to install the True Lane app. I tried more than 10 times to use it, but could not activate it because it is flawed. 90% of reviews of that app confirms that. The next thing they did three months after I tried to use the app in vain was just to charge me $50 because I failed to activate True Lane. I explained to them by phone and message that the app is not working. Then, after just two weeks of notice about the bill of $50, they added $5 installment fee to pay. I think that Hartford is not treating customers in a fair manner. They sometimes lure seniors with discounts about an app that hardly works and then hit them with fees. That was a real bad experience for me.

Original review: May 31, 2020

My wife backed into a pole and damage was minimal. Total repair was just less than 1000.00 dollars. I called Hartford and asked if this would affect my premium if I made a claim. I was told no cause it was such a small amount. Got a letter from Hartford a year later stating my insurance was going up by 500.00 dollars a year for 3 years. Goodbye Hartford! You won't get any more money from me. Totally lied to me. Never again. à

Original review: April 28, 2020

First I typically do not write reviews but after my experience of a quote I had to share my concerns. I am a 50 year old male, my wife and I were looking at policies for our car and home. I tried to first do a quote online and the system crashed. I finally called in to get the quote and will say first some what a high pressure sales. I have zero accident and zero claims other than a hail claim on a rental car. I also have zero speeding tickets as a former peace officer.

I called verified the account had to provide information the initial quote was $1,880 a year. Which I must say I was shocked the agent could not explain why so high then realized that the quote did not have a AARP number so he added that number and it dropped it to $1,757 which I was still shocked. He explained and I quote "It's ONLY $146 a month" and the policies they write are for a year. And they do not go up. I encourage anyone over 50+ to look at others I received a binging quote for $108.00 a month, this is not where I want to be but it is way better than The Hartford. A $501.00 savings over a year. So even if I have to be a smart shopping and look around in the future I would rather save the $501.00 I am overpaying!

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP, the nonprofit organization devoted to senior living, partners with The Hartford to offer auto insurance to its members. Many seniors’ reviews of this company point out the benefit of working with a company focused on their demographic. AM Best gives an A+ rating for financial security.

• Coverage and plans: Common coverage options include comprehensive and collision, uninsured and underinsured motorist, property damage liability and bodily injury. Other options include classic car coverage and new car replacement. AARP’s auto insurance through The Hartford is available in all 50 states.

• Cost: The average rate for a driver in Austin, Texas, is about $142 per month. The Hartford offers disappearing deductible options.

• Discounts: AARP members receive special discounts for bundling, upfront payment, eco-friendly vehicles, defensive driving certification, safety features and good students.

• Standout feature: The RecoverCare plan pays for certain basic living costs after a driver is in an accident.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor