AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
Based on 68 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Compare other quotes now
InsuraMatch - Powering the ConsumerAffairs Insurance Program

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

498 AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I started with Hartford 6 yrs. ago. First couple of yrs. were fine. Then, they started to increase the value of my home. To them it's increased by $61000.00 in 4 yrs. time. Don't I wish. If that's the case, find me a buyer!! When you try to call them, they just give you the ol' runaround. Customer service is terrible!! I was on hold for 20 minutes, then I was cut off. Now, wouldn't you think they would call you back since they know who they were talking to. Don't get sucked in by their so called low rates. They will only keep increasing them on you!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I was shopping for car/house insurance in November. I contacted several companies, including AARP Hartford. He gave me a quote & I said I was just shopping. I ended up with another company December 1st. Two months later I found out Hartford had insured me on December 17th and charged my credit card $1,700. I know it is my mistake for not watching my credit card statement. However, I am not senile and would not have double insured myself. This was pure trickery. They sent me emails saying to e-sign my new policy and I ignored them. They went ahead and processed it anyway. They said they will refund my credit card except for one month. I complained and am working on getting a total refund. This has just ruined a whole day!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Jan 2017, they added $400.00, to my full coverage for my 2002 Honda Civic. I had to drop... Uninsured motorist. Jan 2018, they added $200.00, to my full coverage. I had to drop... Collision. ONE MORE YEAR & THEY WILL HAVE = DOUBLED + their total cost, for full coverage car insurance. HOW, does this HELP a senior on a BUDGET??? They do NOT give a DAMN about us - that's the deal.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I became fed up with Hartford after they started charging people to pay their own bill. I know it was a small thing, but that prompted me to check out another company -- after 15 years and only one claim 10 years earlier. The very first company I went to for an estimate worked out a plan with the exact same coverage on my automobile, PLUS renter's insurance, which I'd never had through Hartford. My monthly payment went down $30 a month -- and that was including the renter's insurance. That's $30 a month times 15 years (without the renter's insurance) -- in other words $5,400. And that's how AARP helps us Seniors save money? $30 more monthly is a lot for someone living on Social Security. I have not renewed my AARP membership since.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Hartford has great phone customer service, very helpful. The woman who answered the phone at Hartford Ins. was very knowledgeable about my insurance needs. Great job. I was completely satisfied.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have compared rates and coverage several times and AARP with the Hartford is always several hundred dollars cheaper than any other for like coverage. We have been with them for 12 years.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Claims Department always answered calls if not called back after hours and weekend. Realize it was during a Hurricane but my adjuster was truly a super human being. Submitted a vehicle claim in the midst of Hurricane Harvey. In less than 30 days check for rental car (couldn't locate one before claim was settled) & balance left after finance company was paid off check was in my account. Guy they flew in to process my car took me to Enterprise to personally talk to them about a car and took me to the store. Treated me as if I was their only customer in Houston. A+ service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

AARP was very helpful and understanding. I felt better after talking to a representative just by letting me know not to worry. It will be taken care of. AARP in the past has made me realize I can trust my insurance for any inconvenience of an accident. They treat you as an individual not a number. I was very upset after my car was hit and the representative asking if I was physically ok? I said, "Yes I think so." She told me if I feel any discomfort go to the ER because whiplash might happen a day or so later. Sure enough, the next day when I woke I couldn't move. They were apologetic for the accident even though it was the other person that hit my car. Kudos.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I had have car insurance with the Hartford for over 17 years, no accidents, no moving violations and now I discover that the AARP-Hartford is even 350 dollars more expensive than State Farm. I paid the downpayment for another year but I am now looking for a good insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Well I got a quote from Hartford, AARP recommends to check with. Guess what instead of maybe saving $350 - $550 Hartford quoted $1200 more per year than my current insurance. I guess they figure if we are stupid enough we may bite. Just to let everyone know do not waste your time. I chatted online with rep and her statement was that sometime it will not be saving. If the quote was plus/minus $500 I would not spent my time writing this review. Or if there was saving I would make positive review/recommendation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I got Hartford in 09/16/16 and dropped them on 08/31/17. During that period of time, they 2 different times to add drivers to my policy. The last time, it was my niece who didn't even live in the same state. When I called them about this, they wanted me to track her down and have her submit her insurance to them. Since I did not authorize anyone on my insurance, I told them I wasn't doing anything and to cancel my insurance. I went with another insurance agency that day. Now they are trying to bill me for 1/2 a month, even though they actually owe me for 1/2 a month. I will never use this company again. They are a scam, trying to add people just because they have the same address, without permission and making the consumer track down the other individual to verify their insurance. I don't let anyone drive my vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Not only are they completely unprofessional, and they are way more expensive, they allow (maybe even teach) their employees to lie. Stated we had 2 policies. We were unaware of having 2. They canceled one for nonpayment and NO NOTICE! We just paid them $3100.00, 6-months ago (May 2017) for annual premium, and stated we were canceled in October 2017 for nonpayment! No notice and we just find out November 30th! And no reinstatement!! WE WERE UNAWARE WE HAD NO COVERAGE FOR 60-DAYS!!! So now at 55-years old and never missing a payment we are paying triple rates because we are an insurance risk!!! Unless you like to invite problems into your life DO NOT FALL FOR THE AARP HARTFORD TRAP!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

The Hartford is recommended to Seniors by AARP. My initial contact was with a very nice and concerned representative. From that point on the entire process was a complete nightmare. From my experience I cannot understand why an organization that supposedly has the best interest of Seniors as its core consideration, why does it endorse The overpriced The Hartford Insurance Company? Since experiencing the hit and run the cost of my auto insurance went from $103 per month to $151 per month. I contacted the company and made an inquiry regarding the price hike. When asked why I was being charged so much, I was told that it was because the state of Georgia gave an increase to auto insurers in January 2017.

It took almost 2 months to resolve a hit and run that happened to my car. The initial investigator argued that according to how she viewed the photos of my car, that it had to have been mobile when it was hit. After that assessment I was subject to a face-to-face investigative interview wherein the investigator took my photo to establish my identity. The request to take my photo was made even though he was in my home where numerous photos of myself hung on the walls, I gave him my driver’s license with my photo on it, and I provided my insurance card. It was an intrusion into my privacy and something I had never heard of an insurance company doing. Finally, with much back and forth discussion, my claim was finally resolved in my favor.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

When filing a claim the people on the phone made everything easy to understand and to do as they asked. I have had excellent customer service! I would very much like to find a cheaper company, though, especially for the Chevy S-10 that I bought for my son to drive.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My Hartford (through AARP) renewal amount nearly doubled and after many phone calls, found my previous insurance company had erred and indicated that I had a claim they showed as my "fault" rather than "no fault". It happened in 2015 when my car's fender was obviously backed into in a parking lot. So I called my former carrier and inquired why this was listed as fault, they admitted it was noted in error. So they faxed Hartford the correction.

I called Hartford again and was informed that this kind of notation stays on my record for 5 years. What? Therefore that was the cause of the increase in my rate. The person I spoke to checked with the adjuster to correct this error in my billing. She informed me the monthly amount was corrected. Really? Without any claims, tickets, etc. for the past year I found I was still stuck with nearly a $40 increase each month. What a way to run a railroad. What really galls me is that I have this "no fault" on my insurance for 5 years, but if I got a traffic ticket, it's only on for 3 years? What a way to run a railroad. Would I suggest Harford to anyone. Not on a bet!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

In September I decided to return to AARP The Hartford whom I insured with several years ago. The insurance was due to start on the 22nd of September. I was VERY CLEAR about the fact that I drove at least 12,000 miles a year. And on the 21st, the day prior to the insurance becoming active, I called to make changes mainly to add towing and to drop uninsured bodily injury. The company set me a new policy which had the added towing but did not drop the uninsured bodily injury. Also under mileage it had been dropped to 8000 miles per year. I called the company up within the first few days to complain. And all I've gotten so far is a run around. And then wanting to increase my premium because of my mileage.

They never dropped the uninsured bodily which I had requested before their policy ever took effect. They said they would send me some paperwork about it and never did... I have had issues in the past about what is called hard copying somebody would low mileage insurance so I am adamant about the fact that I drive 12,000 miles a year. And the person I spoke with on the 21st of September said that he would recompute my premium. Obviously that was nothing but a bunch of hot air.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I would like to say from the outset that my husband and I have the best credit rating, and have never missed a payment for insurance in the history or our driving since ages 16. We went out of the country for a month. During that time, our credit card was stolen and used for unauthorized payments. We got another credit card number. We had just moved as well, a month prior to leaving the country, and as you well know, the possibilities for mistakes regarding getting mail at a new address, etc. are exaggerated due to a new move. Because our credit card was stolen, the monthly auto payments ceased on our insurance, of which we had no idea. We did not receive anything from Hartford regarding this (although they said we did) and we did not check our email during this time, as we were away internationally and on vacation.

Two months' payments went by unpaid due to their not having our new credit card number, but we were not contacted properly. Our insurance lapsed and to this day, we have nothing in writing saying this and were never contacted. Can't they pick up the phone for God's sake??? Some of our other auto payments were automatically switched to our new credit card number. This lapse has caused us tremendous problems. One of our cars needed a tow, and because we called the insurance company for that, we discovered we had been unknowingly driving without insurance, which thankfully we did not get caught!! Otherwise, we would not have known! We then had to rent a vehicle with insurance since we had no insurance on our own cars!

Also, not having insurance caused it to be more difficult to get insurance and more costly!! We have had it with Hartford! They said they would call back in 48 hours, not 48 business hours, which was incorrect. We have talked with supervisors, and executives, and even offered to pay for an entire year in full, to no avail. I cannot believe that such heartless people, that are so rigid with their company policies and do not take any circumstances of people into consideration are working for ELDERLY people. I totally understand why Hartford’s rating is sooo low! Please consider dropping them as your carrier!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I had no difficulty filing my claim. Everyone after my car was rear-ended, went above and beyond to make sure everything was correct. An extremely dedicated and responsive company and all aspects are fantastic. It took them a while before justice was served, but once the ball began to roll there was no stopping them. I am highly excited about this company and highly recommend it to everyone I am associated with.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I’m an AARP member. I called Hartford for an insurance quote. They charge a $500 surcharge for new policies. I have a flawless driving record and have never heard of such a thing. It’s ludicrous. The representative was clueless and totally disinterested in offering any sort of explanation for this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My car was parked on the side of the road when hit by a driver insured by the Hartford. The Hartford admitted that there were no good comps for my vehicle. The adjuster said he could reimburse me for a vehicle exactly like mine except with higher miles. My vehicle had 98K miles. The comps were between 130K and 160K! I argued for two weeks and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor said the exact same things, verbatim, as the adjuster. "My hands are tied. Our valuations are figured by JD Powers and we must go with what they determine." Long story short, I cannot replace my car for the amount of money they are offering me.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

A few years ago, heading back to NJ from Delaware, dead of winter, cold and more cold. My engine blew, (that's another story). I called the Hartford which I had purchased through AARP. Told them my situation, older guy, super cold, middle of nowhere, and I have a heart condition. The person on the other end of the line, said, "We'll have someone there soon. We won't leave you there." Because the car was dead, I could not get heat or charge my phone which was fastly approaching zero. They never showed up. On top of that, the towing they covered was useless and I was stuck with a 600.00 towing fee. When it came time to renew my policy, I, of course did not. Now have AAA. Hartford should be called "Heartless".

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I had an auto policy with this company. They were very helpful when I had an accident, but the good comment ends here. I was notified to make a payment on September 19, I called and told them I could not pay until the next day (my bank deposit wouldn't show until the next day). They told me that was fine, apparently it wasn't. When I called the next day to pay, I was told the policy was cancelled and they couldn't reinstate it.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

In December of 2016 I was in a car accident, my first ever. The Hartford raised my premium $300 per year over the next 5 years. Every year the amount can drop supposedly. The accident happened early one morning on a road that had patches of black ice. I was going to my daughter' s house to babysit. Even though I was going slow when my car hit that black ice there was no controlling the car and it went over a hill. There was no other car or person involved in this accident. I was not charged with the accident.

I have been driving for 57 years without an accident or ticket yet my insurance was jumped this amount. I think this is outrageous.and so does all my senior friends. I feel The Hartford has used my premium monies and is not standing up to their advertising that says how much they care. Obviously they only care about their pocket and AARP must agree to have this company represent them. Shame on The Hartford and AARP. Seniors BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

The Hartford would not renew my home insurance in Augusta Ga because I had put the house up for sale. As a consequence they raised my Auto Insurance Premium and kept raising it which seemed to occur every couple of weeks. On June 5, 2017 I canceled the policy and was told I would receive a refund of unused premium in about 14 days. To date, Sept 18, 2017 I have receive no refund. I have called the Hartford several times and filled out a written form request. Even after sending the Cancellation request I still received bills. By phone I was told I owed no money and actually was due a refund of about $850. AARP The Hartford is a total rip off. I will not be renewing my AARP membership and I cannot recommend the AARP and the Hartford to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

On 9/2/2017 I called for road service and for over 2 hours I talked to so many different people, it was unreal. I was always connected to the wrong department so they said repeatedly. The end result always was we don't have an account for you. It seems that every few years it was someone else BP/Amoco - GE - Allstate, etc. I just found an anniversary letter from 12/4/16 with one membership number and then an annual renewal notice of 12/6/2016 with a different membership number. They keep telling me they don't have enough information to help me - a different replies each time. They want me to call and presently I don't think it is a good idea. We ended up calling AAA - we were signed up and towed away in less than an hour.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My Mom was a customer of AARP/Hartford California for 17 years! She went into the hospital for two months and they cancelled her insurance for non-payment. We repeatedly tried to explain to them that she was in the hospital for that entire period of time unfortunately in another state. They could also see that she had made a payment days prior to going into the hospital. She had recently moved so although family was checking her mail there were no bills from Hartford being forward from the old address and we did not know that she paid insurance monthly. They refused to reinstate her saying that their underwriting policy is now more strict. They checked her history and could see that she had never even been late on a payment in 17 years which is a long time to be with one insurance company. They simply did not care. We believe it is because she had a low rate and they rather just get rid of her. No customer loyalty what so ever!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My experience with AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance was great, until they raised my bill by $400 dollars. By the way, no tickets, no accidents, and no nothing. However, they felt it was necessary to raise my rates!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Terrible Hartford/AARP cars insurance. We bought the cars and a home insurance with the Hartford just a year 2015-8/2016. They charged us $1,850/year for 3 cars (Honda: 2002, Lexus: 2006, 2010). They set up the online payments and never sent us the payment bills to our address. They told my daughter to get online to get a safety certification for student discount. I was waiting for my daughter and forget to pay online bill.

When I logged online and made a payment, I figured out that I was disable to pay a bill online. I called two agents in Hartford to explain to them, but they didn’t listen and accept online payment. They never sent us a bill by mail, only the email and my mail in a scam box. After they cancel without send us a note, the Hartford report to MVA. MVA charged us $150/per car. A total fined of $450 for 3 cars, it was so depress and learned that our cars without protection. We paid $45 for AARP, I think they just wrapped money and not doing good. Please aware and get away from this Hartford insurance.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I had a roof replaced after a hail storm. I heard from the clerk they may not cover the damage as I hadn't owned the house very long and the house age. They DID cover 1/2 payment. As this is my only claim, I'm not sure of their payment record.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a company that cares about their insured. I have had other insurers and by far this is indeed number one. Prior to enrolling with them I had another carrier and on a scale of 1 to 10 they did not even rate a 1. I had a car stolen and I had to do all the background checking. The car was in tip-top shape, and after it was stolen and recovered arrangements were made for an appraiser to come and appraise the vehicle. The appraiser NEVER showed up. In case you are wondering the company that has my extremely poor grading is: Liberty Mutual. I also have my home insured by Hartford, and will hopefully never switch. When my car was rear-ended a while ago, they IMMEDIATELY went to work in an attempt to get the deadbeat that caused the problem. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful for he had no insurance. I find this company extremely professional in all aspects. I also have my home insured by them.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky

www.thehartford.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use