AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Terrible Hartford/AARP cars insurance. We bought the cars and a home insurance with the Hartford just a year 2015-8/2016. They charged us $1,850/year for 3 cars (Honda: 2002, Lexus: 2006, 2010). They set up the online payments and never sent us the payment bills to our address. They told my daughter to get online to get a safety certification for student discount. I was waiting for my daughter and forget to pay online bill.

When I logged online and made a payment, I figured out that I was disable to pay a bill online. I called two agents in Hartford to explain to them, but they didn’t listen and accept online payment. They never sent us a bill by mail, only the email and my mail in a scam box. After they cancel without send us a note, the Hartford report to MVA. MVA charged us $150/per car. A total fined of $450 for 3 cars, it was so depress and learned that our cars without protection. We paid $45 for AARP, I think they just wrapped money and not doing good. Please aware and get away from this Hartford insurance.

Seems as if the insurance companies have a five year rule on accidents, at fault, your fault, no one's fault. Making a fortune on premiums. Last accident I had I was following a car in right hand turning lane when he slammed on breaks. Pulled to parking lot and not having my phone he used his. Refused to call Police but talked to his insurance (Allstate) for over 42 minutes. Told them he was OK, all this recorded. After I left he drove to the ER and tells them he injured. Hartford never investigated this but raised my rates $7,080.00 for 5 Years. On fixed income, retired this rule killing senior citizens.

I was happy with Erie Insurance for 10 yrs. I joined AARP, and they said they can save me thousands... So I went to Hartford. I paid 138.00 a month for Me my wife, and daughter, 3 cars as well. I should of known a year or so, now I went to just 2 cars, because I retired, I don't need a car. Still 3 drivers, I got a bill from 138.00 went to 241.00 per month just like that... I should of known after 10 yrs. with Erie, the 1st time I move, I get a snake bite... No tickets, no wrecks, nothing.

Last year I talked to a good agent who told me if I kept my broken car on my insurance with just comprehensive I could get a reduction due to multiple cars. Later after I paid up the policy I kept getting harassed by agents demanding more money. Finally they straightened it out and I got an apology. This year I was told that I wanted my broken car reinstated and I would have to pay for 2 cars full insurance. I told 4 agents this was incorrect and I would like to see the form I filled out. They said they would send me a new form which I promptly filled out and sent back. This was over a month ago then I received a letter saying my car insurance would be cancelled in 6 days.

When I called on Sunday I talked to a very disagreeable agent who finally sent the form which I indeed had filled out incorrectly. It was poorly worded and I misunderstood. I told her I had sent the correct form a month ago which she said they never got. So instead of followup as to why they had not received the new form they decided to cancel.

I have been with Hartford Ins. for a number of years with no accidents or tickets for the past 20 + years. When I called for the reason for the $230.00 dollar hike and after waiting on the line for a while, they told me they rec'd information from a third party, when asked they said maybe it was a mechanic, when asked to explain they said they could not (did not make any sense to me). I then cancelled my ins. for auto and home. I thought AARP would not allow things like this to occur.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

We were happy with the quote we received from Hartford last July and we changed insurance companies. As new AARP members. My husband handled the transaction. I pay the bills and we drafted the payment out of our American Express Account. The charges were set-up quarterly. Neither of us received any notice or billing other than the charge to our card. Today, after thinking there was an error in our billing, I called to speak with a representative. He said they notified us by email about the rate increase and suggested we check our spam account and that is exactly where all of our billing notices sat unopened.

All of our information has stayed the same: cars, drivers, state, address, no accidents, no speeding, no claims and good driving records. Our young drivers actually graduated college and high school. Yet our annual rate increased over $5,800 a year. We went from $242 a month to $680! $483.00 a month increase! The rep could not give me any reason for the increase. I am furious. Because of a dying parent (I lost my mom in April) and flying back and forth across country, I saw the charge, but thought it was a quarterly payment. I had no idea I was being charged this monthly!

I will be contacting AARP and my insurance commissioner. This seems like classic bait and switch! We are in our 50's I can only imagine them doing this to someone much older like my parents. Do not switch your policy. I would have thought the rate we received would be good for a year and only get better, if we were good drivers and had no claims. I have never felt so ripped off by a company in my life. My parents owned an insurance agency and were agents for over 40 years, I have never seen anything like this business practice. It is companies like this that give insurance companies such a bad reputation.

Continuous mistakes in their efforts to properly insure our vehicles. Over five years they have made errors each spring and fall as we transfer vehicles for summer and winter use. AARP was of no help and didn't even return our calls. Horrible experience.

Signed up for Hartford Insurance through AARP one year ago. They were originally cheaper than the company I was using. After one year with not moving, no tickets, no accidents and the same auto my annual premium increased 50%. Thinking this was in error I phoned and ask them to verify the premium. They said that was the correct amount that they had a rate increase. Now they are way higher than most all other companies even though they keep advertising that they are the cheapest for seniors. I think what they are counting on is after they have you as a customer you will just pay the bill and not question it!

I changed to the Hartford car insurance because with the AARP membership I got my insurance to go a little lower than what I was paying with my former Insurance company. This didn't last too long. As soon as I made a change to my policy the price started to go up, but the worse happened last week when I replace one car with a new leased one. My policy went up more than $2,000. I was going to have to pay around $5,900 for full cover on two cars. I got the exact same coverage with other company for less than half, so I made the switch. In addition the customer service is not reliable. The website states that customer service is available from 7am to 11pm ET, I tried several times to call around 6:30pm when I get home and I always got a message that says that the office is currently closed, so whenever I needed to call I had to do it early in the morning.

I have been an AARP member for years. Just moved from TX to WA and going to buy a used car. I sold my car in TX. I have all information from a car I may purchase tomorrow. I decided to get a quote from AARP today. I called and a male voice came on the line. I believe he said his name was Luane, or similar. I told him what the car was. He said that because I live in WA he can't give me a quote because it is the law here. You have to already have auto insurance to get a quote. I said that did not make any sense at all. I said I sold my car to move here in December 2016. He just said "sorry that is the law." Well... I got a quote from State Farm, Prudential, and Progressive. :-( Please don't send me ads for car insurance. I now have three quotes and will choose one.

Ease of doing business, good business practices, and great customer service have made us very happy customers. The policy coverage and cost was also a better deal when compared to our previous company.

I have never had a ticket nor had a claim but they raised my rates 250.00 every year and would not give a reason. My opinion was because I turned 78. I would understand if I had collision but I only have comprehensives and liability on my car. I couldn't pay what they wanted so I changed to Allstate Ins. It is still pricey but not as high as Hartford. When you get older they think you are not playing with a full deck. My mind is as sharp as ever.

They have annual rates, make it easy to pay online monthly or get a discount for paying in full. Always pleasant if I call and want clarification if I should change coverage as vehicle gets older. AARP is known for standing with a quality company. I've been quoted numerous rates from other insurance companies every year and no one can compete with their rates

I was hit from behind while waiting at a red light and was pushed into the car in front of me. The driver who hit us drove away. The Hartford did not raise our rates and they showed sincere concern that all passengers were OK. My mom who was near 90 at the time I brought to her family doctor and the Hartford paid for it. When the driver was caught and the court had him pay for the damages I called the Hartford telling them I had a check payable to me that I would endorse to them and they sent a letter of thanks.

Sometimes a customer service rep. can be terse when responding to a problem. I was taken aback when I didn't receive my car renewal notice in a timely manner and the customer rep. told me that even though the situation was The Hartford's fault if this happened again I would be dropped. She spoke to me like cross, rigid old auntie. Not a welcome experience and although this happened several years ago I remember the conversation vividly. Afterwards I began calling other ins. companies hoping to find similar costs so I could change, but The Hartford was by far the least expensive.

2015 I joined Hartford Auto insurance (AARP). Just received the renewal notice which increased from 2000+ to 4000+ for our 2014 and 2015 cars. My wife and I have had no tickets no accident. I never had any insurance claims, driving >50 years all over the world, no tickets, my credit score is >800. This was and is a chock. Shame on AARP recommending us such a terrible Insurance company, shame on Hartford. I can only advise, stay away from this company. I also shall not renew my AARP Membership!!

Hartford is customer oriented, and they are very courteous and helpful. Their homeowners' policy is unbeatable, but the price for auto insurance was considerably higher than the other companies, and even with the bundle discount, the cost was quite a bit more than my current company.

We have both home and auto with Hartford. The cost and the service is so much better on both of them than we have ever had with other companies. Absolutely the best experience on all counts. We have had many companies over the years and would absolutely never change unless Hartford went out of business. The only claims we have had so far are for broken glass. In each instance the glass was repaired or sometimes replaced within 24 hours. Great service.

We've been seeking a different company due to overall dissatisfaction with this claim. (We had always paid premiums faithfully and on time for over 7 years). After a driver slammed into me while I was parked, and sitting in our vehicle by our mailbox with the key off, the repairs left us with an inadequate car. Our deductible for accidents was about $800 - this amount was too high, but the only one that seemed affordable when we signed up. Other companies offer better rates for deductible and other rates overall. It was processed in a timely manner, but the repairs were not totally adequate and we were left with a left car door that never closed properly. They insisted nothing more could be done. When we requested the car door be replaced rather than " fixed" it was denied, despite our dissatisfaction.

Good customer service overall. AARP/Hartford had the best prices overall for auto/Home insurance. I was able to get the same coverage I had with my prior company for 1/3 less the price.

They like insuring older people so that when, if ever there is a claim, they can tell you there was no coverage. And, because you are over 50, you must not remember. I have been with them for years and always carried comprehensive. I had never had an accident but when I filed to get my windshield replaced, they said I didn't have the coverage. I know for a fact that I specifically asked the agent to put it on when adding another vehicle. They made up a story about how I wanted to keep the cost low. I asked to hear the recording of that conversation and they told me that was not possible. To replace it was only $178 and I have paid them thousands over the years. BUT DON'T WORRY, THEY'VE GOT MY BACK. They should be saying, WATCH MY BACK.

I have two reasons for writing this report. First, The Hartford entices you in with a low premium rate. Then on your next billing they will sneak in huge price increases and add in coverage that you didn't request. Concerning as mostly elderly purchase this insurance and may not be aware of the increase or changes. Secondly, I have a 1M dollar liability and UI policy. After my car was rear ended, the other insurance paid right away their max of $15K. The injuries suffered have caused a permanent mobility issue. The claim is worth $300K or more according to an attorney. The Hartford offered me $5,000. The adjusters are rude, they rarely respond, and they are indifferent. They couldn't care less for their customers.

AARP is far superior than Liberty Mutual. About two (2) or more years ago I was involved with someone who rear ended my vehicle. He claimed, to the local authorities he had automobile insurance. He lied and it was AARP that went to bat every step of the way. Their investigative teams are superior, better than Liberty Mutual. Probably twenty (20) years ago I had one of my cars stolen from my carport. It was locked, but somehow the thieves were able to get in. It was recovered the next day. Liberty Mutual sent the car to a dealer that has NO EXPERIENCE repairing Japanese manufactured vehicles. I went to check on the damage only to find the passenger side mirror was torn off, and a thorough inspection with one of the dealer's inspectors. Could not drive it; for I had no key. Liberty Mutual DID NOTHING to assist me. I had to do all the leg work.

The leg work involved numerous calls to Liberty Mutual with ZERO satisfaction. They were to send out an adjustor, which NEVER showed up. Prior to this car being stolen I had my mechanic do a thorough inspection. The car passed with flying colors. He was more than willing to tell Liberty's adjustor, but since he never showed up the point was moot. Sheepishly, Liberty Mutual called three (3) hours later stating the adjustor was lost, and can "we reschedule". I was furious, called the mechanic (he was booked solid), but somehow fit me in. The adjustor from Liberty Mutual DID NOT even take the time to look at the undercarriage of the stolen car, nor talk to the mechanic wrote the car off as a total loss and offered me less than $500 for the car, the car was valued over $2000.

They processed the claim professionally and timely. But after the claim was filed, when the damage to my car was determined to not be driver error, they still raised our rates to a ridiculous level. Tree fell during a storm and landed in my car. This occurred while I was out of the country on vacation. I claimed the car, they sent us a check. Next cycle for insurance, my rates went up $700.

I switched to AARP/Hartford because I was an AARP member and would get a discount. When it came time to renew my policy, my premiums increased over $16.00 a month. I've had no tickets, wrecks or claims ever. No prior notification of increase and only explanation was the whole state of Texas raised rates. Then why be a member of AARP? You really don't get a discount.

The agents were competent and answer with direct replies for policy questions. They are always pleasant and try to be very helpful. It is a little difficult though to get to the right person, but eventually it happens.

Hartford was very supportive during my claim. The claim filing was done over the phone at the accident scene, was done professionally and the Rep was very helpful. Though the assigned Rep I was given was unavailable at a very important time in the claim, I was able to explain to customer service what I needed and they were very take care of me. The Rep was very helpful in a very stressful situation. I was able to file at the accident scene and give all the info regarding my car and the other driver at the same time. Though the initial interaction was helpful, when I followed up with my assigned Rep, she was unavailable.

I love the auto insurance service. They did almost everything that needed to be done. I called the representative to submit a claim and she asked me a few questions. Then I decided where I wanted to take my vehicle. She made all the arrangements for me, I just dropped off my vehicle and everything was taken care off. This was great. But while the auto insurance is great, the rental insurance is frustrating. I have been trying to get rental insurance for over 4 months. They keep telling me they are mailing the forms, but I still don't have them.

I had GEICO for many years and was paying a very high premium. Hartford was able to give me the top coverage for significantly less. While am fortunate enough not to have had a claim, the rates and overall customer service is great.

My daughter needed her car towed. She called and they said to call one hour before she wanted it picked up. She called at 4:00. After 3 hours, the driver called her and said he was there and he left!!! Why would you not call her while you were there? She called 3 more times! I called and I got a guy who said his name was John... No way... He barely spoke English and when I asked him where he was located, he said India! God bless America. Allstate is a horrible insurance company... I used to have them and when I finally had a claim, they told me I didn't buy the right policy!!! They finally picked my daughters car up at 9:00!!!! 5 hours later. Absolutely ridiculous. I am joining AAA tomorrow and filing a lawsuit against Allstate and AARP... Anyone who wants to join a class action lawsuit, please contact me! I AM filing the suit.

We have been with the Hartford for 2 years. We recently received a cancellation notice effective 5/5/17, with no explanation. Attempting to pay the premium, I was told that it would not be accepted due to a NSF by my bank. I have checked my online statement which shows no attempt to retrieve funds... No indication of any overdraft, no action or posting of the transaction AT ALL to my account. I received a confirmation number for the transaction from the Hartford, yet they show no satisfaction of the transaction.

My bank does not have a record of them attempting to retrieve the funds, either. Yet, I am being held accountable for what would appear to be a glitch in their system. I have never filed a claim with them, as my wife and I both have clean driving records, no accidents, no parking citations, etc. As they say, you get what you pay for. Their agent was apologetic, yet attempted to convince me that this was all my mishandling of my account. I have every bill/receipt for my tenure with them and nothing supports their decision to cancel my account. I'm done!

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.
  • Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.
  • Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.
  • Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.
  • Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.
  • Best for Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Compare Auto Insurance