Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Hartford Auto Insurance offers car insurance for those who have been driving for decades. Seniors are given special treatment, and many of the positive reviews say customer service is key.

PROS

• Offers motorcycle insurance
  • Benefits for seniors who take safety courses
  • Partnership with AARP
  • Lifetime repair guarantee
  • No hidden fees
  • Premiums set for 12 months

CONS

• Billing can be confusing for some seniors
  • Rates may increase if you move to certain areas

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

AARP policy. Have been with them for years. Rates are always highly competitive and service is outstanding. Website is excellent and easy to navigate. Phone reps are courteous and knowledgeable. I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

AARP the Hartford had the best rates for me and when I have questions or concerns a phone call connects me to a professional and courteous customer service rep plus they have an excellent mobile app or I can go online and pay my bill or make changes to my policy. Highly recommended.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Easy application. You just pick your choices of coverage and you get a price. Mine was reasonable so I paid the bill. You get an online portal to see documents, make payments, and communicate with them if desired. You can make changes to your policy on the site. I've make claims and they were handled in a fast professional way. Quick and easy. And renew ability is guaranteed. All in all a great policy with a great company. I'm very happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Asked for a reduced cost when other insurance price increased, I asked for same policy with Hartford agent and paid for the year 1400.00 plus. This year same policy 17000!. Began to get quotes from AAA, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide... For same coverage...When the agents informed me I did not have full coverage with collision but a liability auto policy which should have been half the price (700-900 max) I paid!

When confronted by Better Business Bureau I received a call from a rude woman who gave her name as T from Aarp Hartford.. They represent the majority of seniors in this country yet fraudulent practices. She said she listened to 2 hour phone call with rep. I wanted a copy of the call. Of course, she refused because she knew it was fraud. Please beware of semantics when speaking with aarp hartford agents. In addition, aarp hartford reduced my home policy to half of what I receive now from a top homeowners insurance for twice as much coverage. Alarming!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I was with the Hartford for years without a claim or complaint. I received this year's renewal and discovered that my rates had increased by about 50%. After a phone call I was told that I had filed a claim in mid June of last year???? After thinking that someone had hit a wrong key on their computer "trust me that happens more than you think" They told me that I had called to inquire about a thing that happened to me about that same time I had pulled over with my travel trailer to let some traffic by and apparently brushed an inanimate object with one of the trailers awning arms which pulled the rivets out. I had only called to see if I filed a claim if would increase my deductible and how many quotes I needed to get, I had yet to get a quote.

After several phone calls and demanding to talk to a supervisor was told that since I told them I had an 'incident' that it was on my record even though I paid for the repairs out of pocket total was $488.00 and I have a $500.00 dollar deductible. I never filed a claim but yet my premiums went up???? What a racket!!!! Even charge you when you don't use them. I won't be renewing my AARP membership if this is the company they want to keep.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

They increased my monthly premium from $119 to $247 without a notification. They claim they didn't receive my USPS mail about exclusion of my out of the country daughter and they just added her to my policy without my consent or even a notification. Stay clear, they will lure you in with a competitive rate and change it behind your back.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

AARP should be ashamed to partner with Hartford. We had a tree limb fall on our roof and punch holes. It was all taken care of. The the claims adjuster should never have been on the front line interfacing with customers. He was a total jerk and we had to pull every bit of information out of him. I'm 63 and doing ok. An older person who had a claim (first time ever like ours) would be totally lost with the process (as I was). And of course the rate raises due to our claim. What I don't understand was why our auto insurance went up hundreds of $ even though we've never filed a claim on that. Good-bye Hartford. Saved $1400 total by switching. I trusted AARP and should have read the reviews first!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My husband got a quote for his car only as he is an AARP member. The price looked good so we decided to do it. When he called yesterday, they asked for the VIN number on my car, which he didn't have, so he told them he would call back today. I thought that was odd, but I chalked it up to them misunderstanding him (that they thought he was wanting the policy for both cars). When we called today, she again asked for my VIN number, so I clarified that I was happy with my insurance company and that the policy would be only for his car. This is where it turned strange. She stated that, because we are married, the policy has to be on both cars because any claimant could come after me as his spouse. Ummm....what???

1) They could do that no matter who our cars are insured with; and 2) What does that have to do with my car?? I understand putting me on as an insured driver (which he is on my policy) but, again, what does that have to do with my car? She also said that I could still have my car on my policy, but that it also had to be on the Hartford policy. And she stated that it was the law in Illinois. Again....what??? I have never heard of this before. We have had our cars on different policies for years with no problem. Needless to say, we will not be going with Hartford for his car and will be looking into switching our renter's insurance (which we have had with Hartford for years) because these shady practices are unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Hartford paid us a 700.00 claim (roof leak), it was actually more but they refused part of the claim. They then raised our premium $1500.00 per year for (they said 3 years) because we filed a claim. We offered to return their $700.00. Of course they refused the offer. We will not use or sell Hartford insurance in the future. Good luck to those who are insured with this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I called on a recommendation from my brother to lower my auto rates. The CSR was very slow on the phone gathering information, then he evidently misunderstood what I was saying because he ended up not able to give me even a verbal quote. He said I had to wait in the mail 7-10 days for a paper to sign saying I wouldn’t have my 27-year old on my policy even though he hasn’t been for 10 years and I didn’t plan on having him on. I waited 8 days to receive this paper, so decided to and called back. The CSR couldn’t understand the notes and still couldn’t give me a rate quote, so I requested a supervisor. He said there wasn’t one available and that he’s have one call me call. Let me point out that my husband and I have excellent driving records so that was not an issue. I never received a call so ended up going with another company.

Not sure about AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor