AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
  • 1 star
Based on 82 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 2, 2017

486 AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I got Hartford in 09/16/16 and dropped them on 08/31/17. During that period of time, they 2 different times to add drivers to my policy. The last time, it was my niece who didn't even live in the same state. When I called them about this, they wanted me to track her down and have her submit her insurance to them. Since I did not authorize anyone on my insurance, I told them I wasn't doing anything and to cancel my insurance. I went with another insurance agency that day. Now they are trying to bill me for 1/2 a month, even though they actually owe me for 1/2 a month. I will never use this company again. They are a scam, trying to add people just because they have the same address, without permission and making the consumer track down the other individual to verify their insurance. I don't let anyone drive my vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Not only are they completely unprofessional, and they are way more expensive, they allow (maybe even teach) their employees to lie. Stated we had 2 policies. We were unaware of having 2. They canceled one for nonpayment and NO NOTICE! We just paid them $3100.00, 6-months ago (May 2017) for annual premium, and stated we were canceled in October 2017 for nonpayment! No notice and we just find out November 30th! And no reinstatement!! WE WERE UNAWARE WE HAD NO COVERAGE FOR 60-DAYS!!! So now at 55-years old and never missing a payment we are paying triple rates because we are an insurance risk!!! Unless you like to invite problems into your life DO NOT FALL FOR THE AARP HARTFORD TRAP!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

The Hartford is recommended to Seniors by AARP. My initial contact was with a very nice and concerned representative. From that point on the entire process was a complete nightmare. From my experience I cannot understand why an organization that supposedly has the best interest of Seniors as its core consideration, why does it endorse The overpriced The Hartford Insurance Company? Since experiencing the hit and run the cost of my auto insurance went from $103 per month to $151 per month. I contacted the company and made an inquiry regarding the price hike. When asked why I was being charged so much, I was told that it was because the state of Georgia gave an increase to auto insurers in January 2017.

It took almost 2 months to resolve a hit and run that happened to my car. The initial investigator argued that according to how she viewed the photos of my car, that it had to have been mobile when it was hit. After that assessment I was subject to a face-to-face investigative interview wherein the investigator took my photo to establish my identity. The request to take my photo was made even though he was in my home where numerous photos of myself hung on the walls, I gave him my driver’s license with my photo on it, and I provided my insurance card. It was an intrusion into my privacy and something I had never heard of an insurance company doing. Finally, with much back and forth discussion, my claim was finally resolved in my favor.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

When filing a claim the people on the phone made everything easy to understand and to do as they asked. I have had excellent customer service! I would very much like to find a cheaper company, though, especially for the Chevy S-10 that I bought for my son to drive.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

My Hartford (through AARP) renewal amount nearly doubled and after many phone calls, found my previous insurance company had erred and indicated that I had a claim they showed as my "fault" rather than "no fault". It happened in 2015 when my car's fender was obviously backed into in a parking lot. So I called my former carrier and inquired why this was listed as fault, they admitted it was noted in error. So they faxed Hartford the correction.

I called Hartford again and was informed that this kind of notation stays on my record for 5 years. What? Therefore that was the cause of the increase in my rate. The person I spoke to checked with the adjuster to correct this error in my billing. She informed me the monthly amount was corrected. Really? Without any claims, tickets, etc. for the past year I found I was still stuck with nearly a $40 increase each month. What a way to run a railroad. What really galls me is that I have this "no fault" on my insurance for 5 years, but if I got a traffic ticket, it's only on for 3 years? What a way to run a railroad. Would I suggest Harford to anyone. Not on a bet!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

In September I decided to return to AARP The Hartford whom I insured with several years ago. The insurance was due to start on the 22nd of September. I was VERY CLEAR about the fact that I drove at least 12,000 miles a year. And on the 21st, the day prior to the insurance becoming active, I called to make changes mainly to add towing and to drop uninsured bodily injury. The company set me a new policy which had the added towing but did not drop the uninsured bodily injury. Also under mileage it had been dropped to 8000 miles per year. I called the company up within the first few days to complain. And all I've gotten so far is a run around. And then wanting to increase my premium because of my mileage.

They never dropped the uninsured bodily which I had requested before their policy ever took effect. They said they would send me some paperwork about it and never did... I have had issues in the past about what is called hard copying somebody would low mileage insurance so I am adamant about the fact that I drive 12,000 miles a year. And the person I spoke with on the 21st of September said that he would recompute my premium. Obviously that was nothing but a bunch of hot air.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I would like to say from the outset that my husband and I have the best credit rating, and have never missed a payment for insurance in the history or our driving since ages 16. We went out of the country for a month. During that time, our credit card was stolen and used for unauthorized payments. We got another credit card number. We had just moved as well, a month prior to leaving the country, and as you well know, the possibilities for mistakes regarding getting mail at a new address, etc. are exaggerated due to a new move. Because our credit card was stolen, the monthly auto payments ceased on our insurance, of which we had no idea. We did not receive anything from Hartford regarding this (although they said we did) and we did not check our email during this time, as we were away internationally and on vacation.

Two months' payments went by unpaid due to their not having our new credit card number, but we were not contacted properly. Our insurance lapsed and to this day, we have nothing in writing saying this and were never contacted. Can't they pick up the phone for God's sake??? Some of our other auto payments were automatically switched to our new credit card number. This lapse has caused us tremendous problems. One of our cars needed a tow, and because we called the insurance company for that, we discovered we had been unknowingly driving without insurance, which thankfully we did not get caught!! Otherwise, we would not have known! We then had to rent a vehicle with insurance since we had no insurance on our own cars!

Also, not having insurance caused it to be more difficult to get insurance and more costly!! We have had it with Hartford! They said they would call back in 48 hours, not 48 business hours, which was incorrect. We have talked with supervisors, and executives, and even offered to pay for an entire year in full, to no avail. I cannot believe that such heartless people, that are so rigid with their company policies and do not take any circumstances of people into consideration are working for ELDERLY people. I totally understand why Hartford’s rating is sooo low! Please consider dropping them as your carrier!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I had no difficulty filing my claim. Everyone after my car was rear-ended, went above and beyond to make sure everything was correct. An extremely dedicated and responsive company and all aspects are fantastic. It took them a while before justice was served, but once the ball began to roll there was no stopping them. I am highly excited about this company and highly recommend it to everyone I am associated with.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I’m an AARP member. I called Hartford for an insurance quote. They charge a $500 surcharge for new policies. I have a flawless driving record and have never heard of such a thing. It’s ludicrous. The representative was clueless and totally disinterested in offering any sort of explanation for this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

My car was parked on the side of the road when hit by a driver insured by the Hartford. The Hartford admitted that there were no good comps for my vehicle. The adjuster said he could reimburse me for a vehicle exactly like mine except with higher miles. My vehicle had 98K miles. The comps were between 130K and 160K! I argued for two weeks and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor said the exact same things, verbatim, as the adjuster. "My hands are tied. Our valuations are figured by JD Powers and we must go with what they determine." Long story short, I cannot replace my car for the amount of money they are offering me.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

A few years ago, heading back to NJ from Delaware, dead of winter, cold and more cold. My engine blew, (that's another story). I called the Hartford which I had purchased through AARP. Told them my situation, older guy, super cold, middle of nowhere, and I have a heart condition. The person on the other end of the line, said, "We'll have someone there soon. We won't leave you there." Because the car was dead, I could not get heat or charge my phone which was fastly approaching zero. They never showed up. On top of that, the towing they covered was useless and I was stuck with a 600.00 towing fee. When it came time to renew my policy, I, of course did not. Now have AAA. Hartford should be called "Heartless".

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I had an auto policy with this company. They were very helpful when I had an accident, but the good comment ends here. I was notified to make a payment on September 19, I called and told them I could not pay until the next day (my bank deposit wouldn't show until the next day). They told me that was fine, apparently it wasn't. When I called the next day to pay, I was told the policy was cancelled and they couldn't reinstate it.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

In December of 2016 I was in a car accident, my first ever. The Hartford raised my premium $300 per year over the next 5 years. Every year the amount can drop supposedly. The accident happened early one morning on a road that had patches of black ice. I was going to my daughter' s house to babysit. Even though I was going slow when my car hit that black ice there was no controlling the car and it went over a hill. There was no other car or person involved in this accident. I was not charged with the accident.

I have been driving for 57 years without an accident or ticket yet my insurance was jumped this amount. I think this is outrageous.and so does all my senior friends. I feel The Hartford has used my premium monies and is not standing up to their advertising that says how much they care. Obviously they only care about their pocket and AARP must agree to have this company represent them. Shame on The Hartford and AARP. Seniors BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

The Hartford would not renew my home insurance in Augusta Ga because I had put the house up for sale. As a consequence they raised my Auto Insurance Premium and kept raising it which seemed to occur every couple of weeks. On June 5, 2017 I canceled the policy and was told I would receive a refund of unused premium in about 14 days. To date, Sept 18, 2017 I have receive no refund. I have called the Hartford several times and filled out a written form request. Even after sending the Cancellation request I still received bills. By phone I was told I owed no money and actually was due a refund of about $850. AARP The Hartford is a total rip off. I will not be renewing my AARP membership and I cannot recommend the AARP and the Hartford to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

On 9/2/2017 I called for road service and for over 2 hours I talked to so many different people, it was unreal. I was always connected to the wrong department so they said repeatedly. The end result always was we don't have an account for you. It seems that every few years it was someone else BP/Amoco - GE - Allstate, etc. I just found an anniversary letter from 12/4/16 with one membership number and then an annual renewal notice of 12/6/2016 with a different membership number. They keep telling me they don't have enough information to help me - a different replies each time. They want me to call and presently I don't think it is a good idea. We ended up calling AAA - we were signed up and towed away in less than an hour.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My Mom was a customer of AARP/Hartford California for 17 years! She went into the hospital for two months and they cancelled her insurance for non-payment. We repeatedly tried to explain to them that she was in the hospital for that entire period of time unfortunately in another state. They could also see that she had made a payment days prior to going into the hospital. She had recently moved so although family was checking her mail there were no bills from Hartford being forward from the old address and we did not know that she paid insurance monthly. They refused to reinstate her saying that their underwriting policy is now more strict. They checked her history and could see that she had never even been late on a payment in 17 years which is a long time to be with one insurance company. They simply did not care. We believe it is because she had a low rate and they rather just get rid of her. No customer loyalty what so ever!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My experience with AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance was great, until they raised my bill by $400 dollars. By the way, no tickets, no accidents, and no nothing. However, they felt it was necessary to raise my rates!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Terrible Hartford/AARP cars insurance. We bought the cars and a home insurance with the Hartford just a year 2015-8/2016. They charged us $1,850/year for 3 cars (Honda: 2002, Lexus: 2006, 2010). They set up the online payments and never sent us the payment bills to our address. They told my daughter to get online to get a safety certification for student discount. I was waiting for my daughter and forget to pay online bill.

When I logged online and made a payment, I figured out that I was disable to pay a bill online. I called two agents in Hartford to explain to them, but they didn’t listen and accept online payment. They never sent us a bill by mail, only the email and my mail in a scam box. After they cancel without send us a note, the Hartford report to MVA. MVA charged us $150/per car. A total fined of $450 for 3 cars, it was so depress and learned that our cars without protection. We paid $45 for AARP, I think they just wrapped money and not doing good. Please aware and get away from this Hartford insurance.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I had a roof replaced after a hail storm. I heard from the clerk they may not cover the damage as I hadn't owned the house very long and the house age. They DID cover 1/2 payment. As this is my only claim, I'm not sure of their payment record.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a company that cares about their insured. I have had other insurers and by far this is indeed number one. Prior to enrolling with them I had another carrier and on a scale of 1 to 10 they did not even rate a 1. I had a car stolen and I had to do all the background checking. The car was in tip-top shape, and after it was stolen and recovered arrangements were made for an appraiser to come and appraise the vehicle. The appraiser NEVER showed up. In case you are wondering the company that has my extremely poor grading is: Liberty Mutual. I also have my home insured by Hartford, and will hopefully never switch. When my car was rear-ended a while ago, they IMMEDIATELY went to work in an attempt to get the deadbeat that caused the problem. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful for he had no insurance. I find this company extremely professional in all aspects. I also have my home insured by them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

My husband fell asleep at the wheel and totaled our car. The adjuster came out, took photos and paid us MORE for the car than we had paid for it. They were absolutely amazing! I have in my lifetime never had so many good things/thoughts about a car insurance company. They are right in there with the top of the line on needs, no matter what level you may want. Service is outstanding from start to finish. Who could ask for more... oh, the proof is when you have to file a claim. Outstanding all the way around.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Seems as if the insurance companies have a five year rule on accidents, at fault, your fault, no one's fault. Making a fortune on premiums. Last accident I had I was following a car in right hand turning lane when he slammed on breaks. Pulled to parking lot and not having my phone he used his. Refused to call Police but talked to his insurance (Allstate) for over 42 minutes. Told them he was OK, all this recorded. After I left he drove to the ER and tells them he injured. Hartford never investigated this but raised my rates $7,080.00 for 5 Years. On fixed income, retired this rule killing senior citizens.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I was happy with Erie Insurance for 10 yrs. I joined AARP, and they said they can save me thousands... So I went to Hartford. I paid 138.00 a month for Me my wife, and daughter, 3 cars as well. I should of known a year or so, now I went to just 2 cars, because I retired, I don't need a car. Still 3 drivers, I got a bill from 138.00 went to 241.00 per month just like that... I should of known after 10 yrs. with Erie, the 1st time I move, I get a snake bite... No tickets, no wrecks, nothing.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Last year I talked to a good agent who told me if I kept my broken car on my insurance with just comprehensive I could get a reduction due to multiple cars. Later after I paid up the policy I kept getting harassed by agents demanding more money. Finally they straightened it out and I got an apology. This year I was told that I wanted my broken car reinstated and I would have to pay for 2 cars full insurance. I told 4 agents this was incorrect and I would like to see the form I filled out. They said they would send me a new form which I promptly filled out and sent back. This was over a month ago then I received a letter saying my car insurance would be cancelled in 6 days.

When I called on Sunday I talked to a very disagreeable agent who finally sent the form which I indeed had filled out incorrectly. It was poorly worded and I misunderstood. I told her I had sent the correct form a month ago which she said they never got. So instead of followup as to why they had not received the new form they decided to cancel.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I have been with Hartford Ins. for a number of years with no accidents or tickets for the past 20 + years. When I called for the reason for the $230.00 dollar hike and after waiting on the line for a while, they told me they rec'd information from a third party, when asked they said maybe it was a mechanic, when asked to explain they said they could not (did not make any sense to me). I then cancelled my ins. for auto and home. I thought AARP would not allow things like this to occur.

Original review: June 27, 2017

We were happy with the quote we received from Hartford last July and we changed insurance companies. As new AARP members. My husband handled the transaction. I pay the bills and we drafted the payment out of our American Express Account. The charges were set-up quarterly. Neither of us received any notice or billing other than the charge to our card. Today, after thinking there was an error in our billing, I called to speak with a representative. He said they notified us by email about the rate increase and suggested we check our spam account and that is exactly where all of our billing notices sat unopened.

All of our information has stayed the same: cars, drivers, state, address, no accidents, no speeding, no claims and good driving records. Our young drivers actually graduated college and high school. Yet our annual rate increased over $5,800 a year. We went from $242 a month to $680! $483.00 a month increase! The rep could not give me any reason for the increase. I am furious. Because of a dying parent (I lost my mom in April) and flying back and forth across country, I saw the charge, but thought it was a quarterly payment. I had no idea I was being charged this monthly!

I will be contacting AARP and my insurance commissioner. This seems like classic bait and switch! We are in our 50's I can only imagine them doing this to someone much older like my parents. Do not switch your policy. I would have thought the rate we received would be good for a year and only get better, if we were good drivers and had no claims. I have never felt so ripped off by a company in my life. My parents owned an insurance agency and were agents for over 40 years, I have never seen anything like this business practice. It is companies like this that give insurance companies such a bad reputation.

Original review: June 25, 2017

Continuous mistakes in their efforts to properly insure our vehicles. Over five years they have made errors each spring and fall as we transfer vehicles for summer and winter use. AARP was of no help and didn't even return our calls. Horrible experience.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Signed up for Hartford Insurance through AARP one year ago. They were originally cheaper than the company I was using. After one year with not moving, no tickets, no accidents and the same auto my annual premium increased 50%. Thinking this was in error I phoned and ask them to verify the premium. They said that was the correct amount that they had a rate increase. Now they are way higher than most all other companies even though they keep advertising that they are the cheapest for seniors. I think what they are counting on is after they have you as a customer you will just pay the bill and not question it!

Original review: June 3, 2017

I changed to the Hartford car insurance because with the AARP membership I got my insurance to go a little lower than what I was paying with my former Insurance company. This didn't last too long. As soon as I made a change to my policy the price started to go up, but the worse happened last week when I replace one car with a new leased one. My policy went up more than $2,000. I was going to have to pay around $5,900 for full cover on two cars. I got the exact same coverage with other company for less than half, so I made the switch. In addition the customer service is not reliable. The website states that customer service is available from 7am to 11pm ET, I tried several times to call around 6:30pm when I get home and I always got a message that says that the office is currently closed, so whenever I needed to call I had to do it early in the morning.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I have been an AARP member for years. Just moved from TX to WA and going to buy a used car. I sold my car in TX. I have all information from a car I may purchase tomorrow. I decided to get a quote from AARP today. I called and a male voice came on the line. I believe he said his name was Luane, or similar. I told him what the car was. He said that because I live in WA he can't give me a quote because it is the law here. You have to already have auto insurance to get a quote. I said that did not make any sense at all. I said I sold my car to move here in December 2016. He just said "sorry that is the law." Well... I got a quote from State Farm, Prudential, and Progressive. :-( Please don't send me ads for car insurance. I now have three quotes and will choose one.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky