Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
1.67/5

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Hartford Auto Insurance offers car Iinsurance for those who have been driving for decades. Seniors are given special treatment, and many of the positive reviews say customer service is key.

PROS

• Offers motorcycle insurance
  • Benefits for seniors who take safety courses
  • Partnership with AARP
  • Lifetime repair guarantee
  • No hidden fees
  • Premiums set for 12 months

CONS

• Billing can be confusing for some seniors
  • Rates may increase if you move to certain areas

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

550 AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 19, 2019

Easy application. You just pick your choices of coverage and you get a price. Mine was reasonable so I paid the bill. You get an online portal to see documents, make payments, and communicate with them if desired. You can make changes to your policy on the site. I've make claims and they were handled in a fast professional way. Quick and easy. And renew ability is guaranteed. All in all a great policy with a great company. I'm very happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

The saying is true, you don't know what you have until you need it. I am so glad I have AARP car insurance from the Hartford. They really helped me when my car was run into, and I had to deal with the other insurance company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

While I have not had to file a claim with my Hartford auto insurance, I have very manageable payments each month and the interface on their website is simple to navigate. I have had one direct contact with the company when I signed up and they even helped me with my cancellation of my other insurance, which was amazing to me. I am happy with the coverage and feel confident that The Hartford is a great company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am very happy with my Hartford/AARP auto insurance policy. I initially chose the policy because of the great discount. My son was in an accident driving my car at which he was at fault. We called in the claim at the scene of the accident and the car was quickly towed away. The claim rep immediately went into action and made arrangements. The car was totaled but the final claim adjustment was very fair. It had some custom work and we were reimbursed for that also. The claim was settled to our satisfaction and payment received within a couple of weeks. And even better they did not raise our rates.

Original review: July 21, 2019

AARP is supposed to be affiliated with Hartford Insurance. In my experience they have raised my rates every year since I have been with them. I am to renew my policy in Aug. 2019 and again they have raised my rate $250.00! I will be dropping my AARP membership (as they are not working for retired people) and this Hartford policy. Please do your research before choosing this program.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: June 12, 2019

My son was involved in an accident in which damages to his car amounted to $3300. The value of his car was determined to be over $8000. The Hartford decided to total his car. We asked for the justification and were given the runaround. First, they tried to cite Georgia insurance policy (where the accident occurred). In Georgia, a car is determined to be totaled if the damages added to the salvage value is the same as the value of the car. The salvage value ($4000) plus the damages ($3300) were less than the value of the car, so The Hartford changed their formulation and said they had to go by Alabama policy (where the car was registered & insured). Alabama totals a car if the damages are more than 70% of the value of the car. The damages were less than 50% of the value of the car. At this point, we got lawyers involved. It has been 2 months, and this is still not resolved.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My elderly mother was in an accident (she was not at fault) right before Memorial Day weekend. It took them until June 5 to contact her and let her know her car was totaled. The worst of it is they are trying to low ball her settlement. She paid cash for the car, it had very low miles, she has NEVER been in an accident or had any tickets previously. She has not had any type of auto claim. The Hartford has been horrible! Trying to force her to settle the claim for what they have offered. They told her to find other vehicles that were exactly the same as the totaled one. Send them the price with vehicle location and VIN #. She is not asking for retail or replacement value. Just a reasonable offer to compromise on.

Her adjuster is now out of the office for 2 weeks and didn't bother to email, call or contact her in any way to let her know who she should contact in his absence. They have cancelled her rental car stating they didn't get the paperwork back for the settlement so they are no longer obligated to pay for the rental car. Her car is her independence. How dare they take that from her! My mother has been a Hartford customer for many year and has never filed a claim. She will be finding alternative auto insurance after this. It has been a nightmare.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Insurance should consider person's driving history before issuing points to raise insurance rates! Received first ticket in 30 years and insurance was raised a lot! Also, an accident when I was not at fault they did not back me up and said 50/50 at fault! What is this? I am changing insurance companies asap!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Being in the 50+ age bracket, I was convinced that Hartford would treat us right. Boy, was I wrong. Our rates continued to rise, despite no claims or tickets. I deeply regret ever switching to them. I wish I had done what y’all are doing and read reviews. This year I received an email stating that I would need to pay over $300 TO RENEW MY POLICY!!! What?!!! I immediately began searching other companies and found a great one and it’s much less than the Hartford. Do yourself a tremendous favor and go with a different company.

Original review: April 11, 2019

How can Hartford Insurance represent AARP members? My wife and I are 70 years old and have had Hartford Auto and Homeowners Insurance since we reach 55, and the rates have gone up every year. It hasn't mattered if a vehicle is paid off or ten years old; the rates always increase! The customer service people always give us the run-around advising it the area we live or state we reside.

We recently purchased a new truck for 2019. Our other truck is eleven years old and paid off. Our new rates went up almost fifty dollars per month! $2600 per year on vehicles we only drive for 5000 miles per year. We are both retired. We got a quote from Amica Insurance for our vehicle with higher coverage and a balloon policy. The new rate will be $1600 per year for better coverage; and our homeowner's insurance dropped from $1500 per year down to $1200 per year! Shame on The Hartford for bilking retired Americans!

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky