Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
2.27/5

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Hartford Auto Insurance offers car Iinsurance for those who have been driving for decades. Seniors are given special treatment, and many of the positive reviews say customer service is key.

PROS

• Offers motorcycle insurance
  • Benefits for seniors who take safety courses
  • Partnership with AARP
  • Lifetime repair guarantee
  • No hidden fees
  • Premiums set for 12 months

CONS

• Billing can be confusing for some seniors
  • Rates may increase if you move to certain areas

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

546 AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

Easy application. You just pick your choices of coverage and you get a price. Mine was reasonable so I paid the bill. You get an online portal to see documents, make payments, and communicate with them if desired. You can make changes to your policy on the site. I've make claims and they were handled in a fast professional way. Quick and easy. And renew ability is guaranteed. All in all a great policy with a great company. I'm very happy with it.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Being in the 50+ age bracket, I was convinced that Hartford would treat us right. Boy, was I wrong. Our rates continued to rise, despite no claims or tickets. I deeply regret ever switching to them. I wish I had done what y’all are doing and read reviews. This year I received an email stating that I would need to pay over $300 TO RENEW MY POLICY!!! What?!!! I immediately began searching other companies and found a great one and it’s much less than the Hartford. Do yourself a tremendous favor and go with a different company.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

How can Hartford Insurance represent AARP members? My wife and I are 70 years old and have had Hartford Auto and Homeowners Insurance since we reach 55, and the rates have gone up every year. It hasn't mattered if a vehicle is paid off or ten years old; the rates always increase! The customer service people always give us the run-around advising it the area we live or state we reside.

We recently purchased a new truck for 2019. Our other truck is eleven years old and paid off. Our new rates went up almost fifty dollars per month! $2600 per year on vehicles we only drive for 5000 miles per year. We are both retired. We got a quote from Amica Insurance for our vehicle with higher coverage and a balloon policy. The new rate will be $1600 per year for better coverage; and our homeowner's insurance dropped from $1500 per year down to $1200 per year! Shame on The Hartford for bilking retired Americans!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I received several invitations from AARP and Hartford; "get insurance for your car less than $300, $400 ++ from Gieco, All State..." l believed them and I applied, but what they gave me was unbelievable. ـ Believe or not I got HARTFORD's quote ٪ 45 more than its Competitor. I sent Hartford and its competitor's quotes to AARP. This CO. always announce (we are the big supporter of US 50 + years Citizens) but they stood deaf and dumb.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Hartford wants to use Korean or parts from a cheaper source. Why would they want to use some other cheaper parts to repair the front end on a 2018 truck instead of mfg parts that fit properly. The repair shop will not stand behind the work if they have to use the cheap Korean type parts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I called Hartford last week for a quote on car insurance for 2 cars. One full coverage and the other for compulsory. The quote was for $232/month or $2800/year. My insurance agent came in at $832 for the year, $92/mouth for 9 months. How can Hartford justify charging $1968.00 more per year for AARP members than anyone else can get. AARP should reconsider their association with Hartford unless they are in on the ripoff with them. I don’t trust AARP has the elderly’s interest at heart if they don’t look into and correct this thievery.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

On January 31, I turned on my left signal to turn into my driveway at my home. A truck tried to pass me as I was pulling into my driveway from the left. I got out my car and went into my house to call the police for a police report, while on the phone calling the police the driver backed out and tried to leave the scene, and his tires slipped on the ice and he struck the right side of my car and his truck was stopped by a tree on my parkway.

The police said my car was not driveable, so they pushed it up on my driveway. After the police left, I contacted my auto insurance, Hartford to let them know about the accident, and they told me when I get the police department report to call them with the accident number. I told Hartford, I needed an auto, to get to the doctor and other small trips I need to make. They told me they would pay 20.00 a day for a rental. There is no place in the Chicagoland area that a car can be rented for such a low cost and I told Hartford that. I also told Hartford that my property tax is due March 1, 2019, and I cannot afford to pay for a rental. So as of today I have to pay someone to take me where I need to go, and my car is still sitting on my driveway, tomorrow it will be a week.

On Monday, February 4, 2019, I called Hartford and gave them the number on the police report, they told me to get everything out my car and they would have it pulled in a couple of days. Today the car is still blocking my driveway. I am very disappointed with Hartford. My daughter will be coming here Saturday to get a lawyer because she says I am being taken advantage of. I will be looking for another Auto insurance since this is my first accident in over 30 years.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

The saying is true, you don't know what you have until you need it. I am so glad I have AARP car insurance from the Hartford. They really helped me when my car was run into, and I had to deal with the other insurance company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Called to verify coverage on my vehicles, and instead of answering my question she decided to badger me with questions about my daughter and eventually had to hang up on her. Found out the next day she changed my policy coverages without my authorization and my premium doubled! Today I canceled my policy.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I've had Hartford insurance coverage of my house and auto for many years. In the 1990s, Hartford replaced the pitted windshield in my 1989 Camry. After driving in heavy rain at night, I realized the windshield in my 2002 Camry was in dangerously poor condition. Not only is it pitted but it has a film, which cannot be removed, making it difficult to see through. I called this morning and was told by one Hartford rep that they would be able to replace the windshield for me, and after giving me the phone number of the claims adjustment, he transferred me.

It took several calls and lots of button-pushing to finally reach a person. However, when I finally did I was told that this was not covered. No windshield replacement unless the windshield had a cut or crack. I asked why then my 1989 Camry's windshield was covered for pitting and my 2002 Camry windshield with pitting and dangerously filmed over was not. This could not be explained but the answer was still NO COVERAGE.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Had accident 10/20/2018. Calls not returned, updates on claim status not given. Has been two (2) weeks since I received any correspondence from this company and over a month since my claim was submitted, yet no one has given me an update.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Our 2005 GMC Envoy experienced a unexpected mechanical surge while parking in our garage resulting in damage to vehicle and garage. Total vehicle damage was $3400 of which Hartford paid $2900. A "surcharge" of $1,056 was added to my auto policy and "will apply for 60 months or five years". At this rate I will repay Hartford and additional $5,280 for the $2900 that they paid for my claim. No tickets or previous accidents. I could have saved $2380 on my auto policy if I had not filed a claim. Customer service advised that I can expect a "surcharge" on my house insurance too. They would not advise the amount. "It will be on your billing when the policy is due". Customer service has been very good, however as retired seniors I cannot afford to do business with AARP sponsored Hartford Insurance.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

For many years I had my auto and home policies with AARP/Hartford. I found Hartford because of my membership with AARP. Early this year, my premium for both my auto and my house increased more than six hundred dollars. I do not have any claims, I drive less than 2,000 miles each year and have never had a traffic ticket in my life. When I called Hartford to inquire about the large increase despite my little bit of driving, no claims and no tickets, I was told that everyone got a rate increase. I asked what could justify an increase of nearly 30% from the prior years. I got lip service saying that everyone's policy premiums had increased. That was nonsense.

I told the agent that I would check around with other companies for similar coverage and premiums. The agent warned me that if I changed to another company and had an accident, my premium would be raised or I could be canceled by the new insurance company if I had a ticket. That was a threat if I ever heard one. I asked the agent if my premium would jump as high as it did with Hartford while I have no claims. I got no answer. I got a quote from a reputable long-term insurance company. My current premium for my auto and house are now about $600 less for the year than if I had stayed with Hartford.

Bottom line? Check around for insurance. Just because AARP recommends Hartford, does not mean that Hartford is your best option. Too many AARP member rely on the integrity of AARP to make sound recommendations. In my case, Hartford was not a sound recommendation for me. Shame on AARP for misleading AARP members into making them believe that their recommendation of Hartford is the best choice. Quite simply, it is not the best choice.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

While I have not had to file a claim with my Hartford auto insurance, I have very manageable payments each month and the interface on their website is simple to navigate. I have had one direct contact with the company when I signed up and they even helped me with my cancellation of my other insurance, which was amazing to me. I am happy with the coverage and feel confident that The Hartford is a great company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I am very happy with my Hartford/AARP auto insurance policy. I initially chose the policy because of the great discount. My son was in an accident driving my car at which he was at fault. We called in the claim at the scene of the accident and the car was quickly towed away. The claim rep immediately went into action and made arrangements. The car was totaled but the final claim adjustment was very fair. It had some custom work and we were reimbursed for that also. The claim was settled to our satisfaction and payment received within a couple of weeks. And even better they did not raise our rates.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

We decided to go with Hartford after receiving an offer through AARP and it was a big mistake - immediately after the 2nd month, our rate was raised by $43 and NO, we didn't have any tickets and still don't have any tickets of any kind. We called to find out what was going on and not happy with their answer and especially not happy that they weren't going to lower the rate back to what they'd quoted us when we transferred with them. We simply canceled and went back to GEICO - if you're trying to get insurance with the Hartford because you've received an offer through AARP, DO NOT take it - it isn't true!!! It's very misleading.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

DON'T fall for the ads claiming lower rates because you are with AARP and over 50 yrs of age. It's **!! I purchased a new/used car Feb 2017. Since the price given for insurance at that time, I have had my insurance raised 3 times. First they claimed in Aug 2017 the review on my Honda Civic affected my insurance so they raised it by $30 a month. Then I moved May 2018 and they raised it $15 a month due to where I moved to. Then the policy renewal was Aug 2018 and I am now paying another $20.00 more!!! I am currently looking at other insurance policies because Hartford goes out of their way to find excuses to raise the price. I already replaced my renters insurance they also carried as they raised it twice in the past year. AARP doesn't ensure they give us cheaper insurance.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

After having auto ins with them (no claims ever) I received an online quote for Homeowners lol! I have a policy with State Farm now with better coverage for $1100.00 per year. AARP/Hartford quoted both online and phone $12,000.00 per year. AARP you should reevaluate your association with The Hartford. They are A JOKE. Never again will I do any business with them. And AARP your sponsorship of them make you look piss poor in my opinion. Will have to reevaluate my membership.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

My electrical claim with the Hartford is now one month old and has yet to be adjusted! After TWO recommendations for service providers from the adjuster and SUPERVISOR, my car is still in limbo. One recommended did not handle electrical claims and the Second does not handle INSURANCE CLAIMS! WHAT GIVES?

Original review: July 30, 2018

I am not a member of Hartford Insurance and because of Sherry ** - I never will be. This women was not only sarcastic and rude, she was immature. The reason for Insurance is to protect against financial loss when something unexpected occurs. When something tragic happens you expect the person on the other end of the phone to be somewhat compassionate. She shouldn't be in the insurance business. She was not only rude to me she was rude to the auto shop my automobile was serviced at. Example: when I was very upset and I stated, "This doesn't make sense"... her reply "yes it does." I said, "No, it does not make sense." She would cut me off saying, "Yes it does," like a 2 year old. I tried to call a manager, no response. I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with her.

Original review: July 23, 2018

The AARP rates are good but the policies are not covering what you would expect and not knowing what questions to ask results in reduced reimbursements and higher premiums with one accident even if a fender bender. While the beginning process with filing and the adjuster are superb, after that was much less than desirable.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I had been a wonderful customer of the Hartford for a very long time and only had one accident that was not my fault, always paid my bill on time, never late, had multiple cars with them etc, last year after turning 63 I bought a new car and was shocked at the high rate they gave me! I asked them to explain but they couldn't. I told them I was going to shop around. They didn't care, so I found at least 2 other companies who would give me a much lower rate for the same coverage, I called again and they wouldn't change the high rate so I switched and when I did they charged me a cancellation fee which was never mentioned in previous calls, the only reason I can come up with for their actions is after a certain age they start dropping their customers so older people beware.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I recommend Hartford. They are helpful, friendly, and they appear to be honest. I had my questions answered and there was follow up from the agency. No hassle and easy access to information and repair to my SUV. It was easy to file and collect on a claim. I didn't have to wait on an adjuster. The cost of the policy was cheaper than their competitors. We have our home insurance with them too. The package deal is not much cheaper but there is a price break.

Original review: June 29, 2018

They went out of their way to ensure that I was happy and kept me informed every step of the way. I was not kept on hold for long periods of time - I virtually was dealt with immediately. They were courteous and efficient.

Original review: June 29, 2018

AARP is a rip-off. I bought into this senior discount BS and paid the 16.00 but never again. I got a letter through the mail offering auto insurance so I thought I would take a look. I pay 109.00 for Farm Bureau auto insurance. Hartford gave me a quote for 340.00 a month over 4000.00 a year. I don’t want their damn card.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I get a discount for having all my insurance with them. I get a discount for being a senior citizen and not driving at night. I can call them if I have an accident on the road and they will send help. They are very courteous on the phone.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Always friendly, always willing to take the time to explain in as much detail as I needed. This was before I went to work for a rival company. After that, it was like talking to a colleague. Filing a claim was handled quickly and with respect. Accurate information. Not afraid to say "I don't know, but let me find out." I have worked in customer service for over 40 years, and The Hartford is one of the best I've ever interacted with.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My wife and I are very satisfied with the Hartford and have not had any problems with their products or service. They have been very responsive when I had questions concerning my coverage and cost of coverage.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My rate went up 40% in one year! We drive less than 8,000 miles a year. No accidents, tickets, or claims. Their explanation was that there are a lot of bad drivers in Florida and the cost of insuring them is shared by the safe drivers. Really? Here's a novel idea: deny insurance to bad drivers. Deny them licenses. Get them off the road! We'll all be a lot safer and our premiums will be affordable.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had a claim put in with The Hartford after a diesel truck recap tire came off a truck destroying most of the running gear under the car. I was told to take it to an AARP shop (which is not and has not been an AARP shop) who "farmed my car out" to a 2nd shop. The serpentine belt was knocked loose from the impact of the front end dropping to the road and destroying brake hubs, assemblies, axles, connecting rods, the entire rack and pinion system, all computers, traction control systems and more.

The first shop tried to say the oil pump froze up causing the belt to come off. I kept the core which is NOT frozen (they used the original belt which shows NO damage) so I took it to Les Schwab and Twisted Wrenches (both highly reputable) giving the adjuster two separate estimates with both describing the damage consistent with the accident. As of June (2016) the claims department simply refused to have ANY contact with me. Even my family didn't believe this until I gave them all the numbers, and THEY never received a call in over a month. No resolution ever presented itself, and now I am in debt to my bank as I had no choice due to medical problems and couldn't pay it back.

No medical bills have been paid and I still have issues related to a head injury. NOW I was the victim of a hit and run by another diesel truck, and though I chased THIS guy and at least got his license number since he refused to pull over, but I am afraid to even "call" a claim in, and The Hartford seems to NOT have any way of written communication. THIS is what allows claims reps to lie, obfuscate, divert and/or promise anything. You can't PROVE it! If anyone DOES have an email address for a claims supervisor or director for SW WA, please leave a comment. I will try to keep people informed. Oh...to save your time, the Insurance Commissioner in WA is absolutely useless when dealing with the Hartford. They are above the law. I don't know what to do when even the law doesn't help.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.

• Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.

• Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.

• Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.

• Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.

• Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky