AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

karen of Lansing, MI on

I am an elderly person who belongs to AARP. They advertise the Hartford as being a low cost plan for car insurance. I have an excellent credit rating with no accidents for over 10 years, yet they were the HIGHEST cost for insurance! Disgusted with their false advertising. Will gladly cancel my account!!

Ken of Mcminnville, TN on

I acquired a Hartford policy primarily due to their AARP connection. Recently filed a claim which Hartford denied based on some "hidden" clause and because they can not find proof of a phone call made by the car dealer when I traded in the old car. This Insurance Company relies on the "legal" details instead of Customer Service. BE CAREFUL & READ THEIR POLICY DOCUMENT COMPLETELY. They surely fit the description of the "blah, blah, blah" company.

Melinda of Exeter, NH on

Was involved in a car accident that I caused, (no other vehicles or people involved). Police did NOT cite me, give me a ticket, violation, etc. Unfortunately, I live in a "at fault state" so I was made responsible. From the beginning and throughout a 3 month ordeal, the Adjuster and Appraiser were INEPT! I own a Mini-Cooper and cannot be taken to a regular mechanics shop. Appraiser told owner of foreign motor shop, who I always use, that Minis are made in China and to use Chinese aftermarket parts - WHAT! Owner of shop replied, "NO, Minis are made in Germany or Britain... no aftermarket parts available!" Adjuster tried to charge mechanical shop owner body shop hourly rates - NO! Different hourly rates and only did mechanical work... the ** continued.

Once at "preferred" body shop by the Hartford, Appraiser and Adjuster refused to pay for hood replacement! There was a huge dent (couldn't be pounded out) near wheel well. Though, pictures taken by Appraiser, neither Adjuster or Appraiser recognized the fact that a Mini Cooper has a uni-body hood that continues and encompasses wheel well! I HAD TO PAY for this OUT of POCKET!!! Just some of the many scenarios I had to battle with these INEPT jerks!!!

Shelley of Tucson, AZ on

They are very helpful. They answered all my questions and help get me what I need to be covered. They are very pleasant in dealing with and they don't try to bankrupt up in getting insurance which is very important.

Gary of Phoenix, AZ on

Rate Increase - I have been with the Hartford for over 10 years. No accidents or tickets. I just received my renewal notice and was surprised that in the last 2 years that my premium has increased 25.5 %. I called Customer Service and was told it was a General rate increase. I will be changing insurance companies. Whatever happened to the good old days when insurance was based on YOUR driving and not on everyone else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Shirley of Glen Allen, VA on

I had Hartford for quite a few years, not any trouble until I had a few parking lot incidents that were hit and run and most definitely were not my fault, I wasn't even in the car. They raised my rates by almost 250.00 a year, I have a good credit rating and never missed a payment. When I asked why they said it was because their rates have gone up, bologna! Don't be fooled as soon as you need them, they are there, but they will eventually raise your rates.

Deborah of Makawao, HI on

Was with this company 18 years... never had a claim (accident etc). Owed them no money, payments taken out automatically out of my monthly SS check... Out of the blue they cancelled me and was rude about it!

JoAnn of Lake Forest, IL on

The company has good service and they paid the claim after the deductible, but it basically cost us more in the long run. Their rates went up exponentially in one year and we had not had a claim for several years. Customer service claimed that everyone in our area had similar increases and it didn't have anything to do with our history, which had been good for several years. We had a bundled package with home insurance and decided to go to a broker to compare pricing and that resulted in our leaving Hartford Insurance and moving to Safeco for all of our insurance and we save over a thousand dollars in total. Although we were with Hartford for more than a decade, I think they simply assumed we could tolerate their latest huge increase. But cost is as important as customer service when seeking a reputable insurance company.

M. of Huntsville, AL on

I decided to get the Hartford Auto insurance in 2013 because AARP was recommending it. This past week I had an accident and called the Hartford to make a claim for repairs to my new car. The estimator sent an app that would show me what photos to take to send back. In the meantime, I got an estimate from a local collision repair business near me. The two (2) estimates were not close. From the photos sent to the Hartford I was offered $1,500. The local estimate came up with $4,100. There is a big discrepancy between what the photos show and what the real damages reveal. I feel that the Hartford is trying to take advantage of an insurer. I have paid a lot of premiums to receive this treatment when I call on the insurance company when you need them.

Art of Pittsburgh, PA on

Signed on after many solicitations via AARP. Good competitive rate for 1 year, then the ** hit the fan. Major increase. Asked them why and they said "Because you're 65 yrs old now." WTF. Goodbye. Poor customer service, large rate increase, deceptive practices, IMO. Still receive offers every week. Not in a million years.

Donna of Cheshire, CT on

They are efficient, polite, and thorough in handling details. I have never been disappointed or annoyed during a call. I reported the details and they handled the rest. I didn't have to get involved or follow up any further. Reliable and fairly priced.

Loretta of Clinton Township, MI on

I called a couple dozen insurance companies for rates and the Hartford for my truck and home insurance policies is more than $200 less than lowest price other companies quoted and I received fast service when I have called them. I've never had a claim on truck but one on my house was paid immediately. Very easy to pay on their online site.

Richard of Tucson, AZ on

I am disappointed in that I was hit with a 200$ increase this year. A reward for not having any tickets or accidents in the last 5 years? Most insurance companies are out of control, making us pay for claims of other people. Sick of their practices.

Terry of Terra Ceia, FL on

We switched to The Hartford when we were shopping for Auto rates this same time last year. They quoted very low rates so we made the change. We have clear driving records - no accidents or tickets. I just received my renewal and have sticker shock! A $434.00 annual increase. This is for just 2 cars. Amazing. I called Customer Service and received a less than satisfactory response. He said that rising medical costs increased the rates, yet PIP didn't increase, only Liability and UM. He absolutely did not care that the rates increased or that I would have to shop around for lower rates. Very poor.

Robert of Burney, CA on

The price is a little high. I had two claims with AAA, neither was my fault but my rates went up. Hartford offered the lowest rate at the time, so I switched and have since also moved my renter's insurance and business liability insurance to them. I feel the service is excellent and to that extent worth a little extra from what I might pay elsewhere.

James of Woodbury, MN on

They keep us updated with important information. We have complete confidence in AARP and all that they promote. We like all the helpful guidance and advice that we get from AARP. We believe we can trust any recommendation we get from them, and that includes what insurance company to use.

Peter of Tucson, AZ on

The company has gone above and beyond when my car was rear-ended by an uninsured motorist, fantastic. The agents, office staff and those who were responsible for settling my claim were truly knowledgeable, courteous and professional. They all made me feel like a person, empathetic to all my needs. Over the months that followed up on the rear ending; I would say I was contacted a minimum of twice (2x) to fill me in on all the details regarding my claim. Not once during the entire investigation did the agent give up his search to obtain any answers he could find. It was after all the avenues of investigation were exhausted the case was closed. EXTREME KUDOS.

RONALD of Dagsboro, DE on

We have been with the Hartford through AARP for 12 years. Last year I had my first accident in 50 years and they raised our rates $800 per year. I asked for their accident forgiveness clause and they claim we did not have that option. BEWARE of the TV commercials where they mention accident forgiveness as YOU have to request it, they never offer it and it is very inexpensive. Looking for another insurance company...

Sherry of Newport, WA on

After 17 yrs with no tickets or accidents, they didn't cancel but for my first ticket for over 10 miles OVER THE SPEED LIMIT they raised my premiums from $340 A YR FOR FULL COVERAGE TO $6.200 PLUS. Their ad saying they never cancel is really untrue.

Cindy of Chandler, AZ on

When I changed to Hartford they saved me a lot of money. Hartford was a much better deal than when I was at Liberty. Only thing that bothers me is how much the policy goes up each year but that is typical of most insurance companies. My policy is due but I don't feel like taking the time to call around and when I do I keep getting emails from the different companies.

Stacey of Clinton Township, Michigan on

Exceeded expectations when I compared their policy to my current one. It was time to renew, and my expenses exceeded my income so I began comparing insurance policies. The Hartford offered a bundle, and the auto insurance policy had more benefits for less money. A phone call with an agent saved me even more, and the conversation was quick, friendly and productive.

R. S. of Palm Harbor, FL on

Last December, in 2015, the auto insurance company we had been with for three years dramatically increased our annual auto insurance premium without any justification. We took AARP's advice and switched to a new annual policy with Hartford at $640 a year. We just received our 'bill' for 2017 coverage on the same car - a 2014 Hyundai 4-door Elantra sedan. We are retired, only drive about 2500 miles locally a year, have owned our home for 15 years (mortgage free) and have had no traffic violations, accidents or claims of any kind.... Yet Hartford increased our rate for the same car and coverage to $854 dollars a year. A 30% increase without any justification!!! This is unacceptable to us, and we also believe it is disreputable to the point of constituting fraud and potentially criminal action. We have also brought this matter to the attention of AARP, who we are hopeful will cancel their endorsement of the Hartford.

bob of Perry, MI on

Bought new vehicle. Canceled old one April 2015. Received January renewal. Still on insurance December 2016. Never noticed they did not remove since we insure multiple vehicles. Called and they would not give any credit. Zero. Their excuse was we should noticed after several billings. So beware of AARP auto insurance. What a rip off...

Stephen of Lagrange, IN on

I was with Farm Bureau Inc. for years. AARP advertised Hartford Inc. I checked their price and it was better than Farm Bureau, I bought their bundled insurance, the same as Farm Bureau but after one year it went up 300 dollars. So I switched to Erie Inc. and saved 500 dollars.

Donna of Cheshire, CT on

I rubbed the rear fender of a car next to me while backing out of a space. I gave the owner my insurance company's name (The Hartford) and she took it from there. They called me to discuss and confirm the facts, and all was handled quickly and efficiently from there. My rates did not go up. I've been with The Hartford for the past several years and am very happy with them. They are very efficient and courteous when I've had to call for any reason. They offer reduced rates for driver safety course and retirement driving. So far, they have met any need I've had. Very happy with The Hartford.

Pandora of Livonia, MI on

I was very excited to become a member of AARP to enjoy the benefits offered to people over 50. I checked into home and auto insurance and found that I could save money. At that time I had a lease vehicle, shortly after I added my daughter to the policy (18 yrs old) with her older vehicle. The price went up but I understood it was because of a young driver.

After a year I turned in my lease vehicle and purchased a used car. My insurance didn't go down it went up. So I searched for a different insurance company, I found one and cancelled both my home and auto insurance on the same day. I received a refund for the house insurance I had paid and a month later a bill for the auto insurance. I ignored it. They should be sending me a refund for the car also.

I now have a bill collector for Hartford telling me that I owe for the month after I cancelled the policy because if I had read their policy (which you don't receive until after you apply and pay the down payment) I would have seen that the policy continues until the following month after I cancel. I told him that they cancelled my house insurance the same day I called and sent the refund check right away. That I was told by the customer service person that BOTH auto and home insurance were cancelled. I owed no money. The bill collector told me that the customer service person for Hartford is third party. She had no business telling me that.

I am expected by Hartford to read my policy that states that I will still owe for the month after I cancel, WHAT?? I have never had this happen every time I have switched my auto insurance. It was cancelled the day I asked them to. This person told me I have to pay him now and take it up with Hartford to get my money back. This is ridiculous and not good business practice... So do I pay the bill collector? When I contact Hartford I get a third party customer service, the one who has no business telling me anything per the bill collector. What do I do?

Cindy of St Petersburg, FL on

I wish I would have read the reviews before I got this auto insurance. I had State Farm for years but found Hartford through AARP and I saved quite a bit my first year. I just got a 25% rate increase with no accidents or moving violations. The customer service rep blamed it on other people's accidents, then I read the reviews that everyone has experienced this. Plus I just found out I don't have first accident forgiveness. I will start shopping for insurance somewhere else. This is quite a scam for a reputable company. I am disappointed and feel like I was lied to. I worry about my elderly mother being scammed but thought I was intuitive about scams. This cannot be right. Time to shop around. Ridiculous!

judy of Redgranite, WI on

Rate increases are ridiculous. I do agree with these people. However as an AARP subscriber... I wish I didn't have to be a member. Within 2 weeks of clearing my bank I got another bill from AARP for the same amount. Terrible to take advantage of the elderly people who I know will pay this twice. AWFUL...

Gerry of Santa Fe, NM on

When I checked into Hartford last year, I was pleasantly surprised at their reasonable rates. Their explanation was that we were not being grouped together with all ages. We were being grouped with other seniors and since that was a more responsible group our premiums would be lower. That sold me and I bought coverage for 3 cars and 2 houses. I got my renewal documents for this year and was flabbergasted that my auto insurance increased 37%. No moving violations, no wrecks and no claims on my record. Explanation: drastic increase in uninsured driver accidents in my state. For this to be true, every uninsured driver in my state would have to specifically target just seniors to run into. The premiums on my rental went up 14% and the premium on our main house went up 6.5%. Again claims and no increase in coverage or value. This brings to mind the old carnival attractions: first they sucker you in but they never let you win.

Jeff of Phoenix, AZ on

AARP which boast itself as the largest company for seniors offering the best in service and discounts is the biggest liars more so than the US GOVT when it comes to assisting seniors. Their customer service, people working for them or who represent them are the biggest liars and thieves around as they make promises and deliver nothing. Don't waste your time or money on these people and company as you will only be disappointed and will be out good earned money. AARP is the biggest rip off company in America, and would never recommend this company to anyone.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.
  • Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.
  • Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.
  • Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.
  • Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.
  • Best for Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.

Compare Auto Insurance