2.27/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

477 AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

A few years ago, heading back to NJ from Delaware, dead of winter, cold and more cold. My engine blew, (that's another story). I called the Hartford which I had purchased through AARP. Told them my situation, older guy, super cold, middle of nowhere, and I have a heart condition. The person on the other end of the line, said, "We'll have someone there soon. We won't leave you there." Because the car was dead, I could not get heat or charge my phone which was fastly approaching zero. They never showed up. On top of that, the towing they covered was useless and I was stuck with a 600.00 towing fee. When it came time to renew my policy, I, of course did not. Now have AAA. Hartford should be called "Heartless".

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I had an auto policy with this company. They were very helpful when I had an accident, but the good comment ends here. I was notified to make a payment on September 19, I called and told them I could not pay until the next day (my bank deposit wouldn't show until the next day). They told me that was fine, apparently it wasn't. When I called the next day to pay, I was told the policy was cancelled and they couldn't reinstate it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

In December of 2016 I was in a car accident, my first ever. The Hartford raised my premium $300 per year over the next 5 years. Every year the amount can drop supposedly. The accident happened early one morning on a road that had patches of black ice. I was going to my daughter' s house to babysit. Even though I was going slow when my car hit that black ice there was no controlling the car and it went over a hill. There was no other car or person involved in this accident. I was not charged with the accident.

I have been driving for 57 years without an accident or ticket yet my insurance was jumped this amount. I think this is outrageous.and so does all my senior friends. I feel The Hartford has used my premium monies and is not standing up to their advertising that says how much they care. Obviously they only care about their pocket and AARP must agree to have this company represent them. Shame on The Hartford and AARP. Seniors BEWARE.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

The Hartford would not renew my home insurance in Augusta Ga because I had put the house up for sale. As a consequence they raised my Auto Insurance Premium and kept raising it which seemed to occur every couple of weeks. On June 5, 2017 I canceled the policy and was told I would receive a refund of unused premium in about 14 days. To date, Sept 18, 2017 I have receive no refund. I have called the Hartford several times and filled out a written form request. Even after sending the Cancellation request I still received bills. By phone I was told I owed no money and actually was due a refund of about $850. AARP The Hartford is a total rip off. I will not be renewing my AARP membership and I cannot recommend the AARP and the Hartford to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

On 9/2/2017 I called for road service and for over 2 hours I talked to so many different people, it was unreal. I was always connected to the wrong department so they said repeatedly. The end result always was we don't have an account for you. It seems that every few years it was someone else BP/Amoco - GE - Allstate, etc. I just found an anniversary letter from 12/4/16 with one membership number and then an annual renewal notice of 12/6/2016 with a different membership number. They keep telling me they don't have enough information to help me - a different replies each time. They want me to call and presently I don't think it is a good idea. We ended up calling AAA - we were signed up and towed away in less than an hour.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

My Mom was a customer of AARP/Hartford California for 17 years! She went into the hospital for two months and they cancelled her insurance for non-payment. We repeatedly tried to explain to them that she was in the hospital for that entire period of time unfortunately in another state. They could also see that she had made a payment days prior to going into the hospital. She had recently moved so although family was checking her mail there were no bills from Hartford being forward from the old address and we did not know that she paid insurance monthly. They refused to reinstate her saying that their underwriting policy is now more strict. They checked her history and could see that she had never even been late on a payment in 17 years which is a long time to be with one insurance company. They simply did not care. We believe it is because she had a low rate and they rather just get rid of her. No customer loyalty what so ever!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My experience with AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance was great, until they raised my bill by $400 dollars. By the way, no tickets, no accidents, and no nothing. However, they felt it was necessary to raise my rates!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Terrible Hartford/AARP cars insurance. We bought the cars and a home insurance with the Hartford just a year 2015-8/2016. They charged us $1,850/year for 3 cars (Honda: 2002, Lexus: 2006, 2010). They set up the online payments and never sent us the payment bills to our address. They told my daughter to get online to get a safety certification for student discount. I was waiting for my daughter and forget to pay online bill.

When I logged online and made a payment, I figured out that I was disable to pay a bill online. I called two agents in Hartford to explain to them, but they didn’t listen and accept online payment. They never sent us a bill by mail, only the email and my mail in a scam box. After they cancel without send us a note, the Hartford report to MVA. MVA charged us $150/per car. A total fined of $450 for 3 cars, it was so depress and learned that our cars without protection. We paid $45 for AARP, I think they just wrapped money and not doing good. Please aware and get away from this Hartford insurance.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I had a roof replaced after a hail storm. I heard from the clerk they may not cover the damage as I hadn't owned the house very long and the house age. They DID cover 1/2 payment. As this is my only claim, I'm not sure of their payment record.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a company that cares about their insured. I have had other insurers and by far this is indeed number one. Prior to enrolling with them I had another carrier and on a scale of 1 to 10 they did not even rate a 1. I had a car stolen and I had to do all the background checking. The car was in tip-top shape, and after it was stolen and recovered arrangements were made for an appraiser to come and appraise the vehicle. The appraiser NEVER showed up. In case you are wondering the company that has my extremely poor grading is: Liberty Mutual. I also have my home insured by Hartford, and will hopefully never switch. When my car was rear-ended a while ago, they IMMEDIATELY went to work in an attempt to get the deadbeat that caused the problem. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful for he had no insurance. I find this company extremely professional in all aspects. I also have my home insured by them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

My husband fell asleep at the wheel and totaled our car. The adjuster came out, took photos and paid us MORE for the car than we had paid for it. They were absolutely amazing! I have in my lifetime never had so many good things/thoughts about a car insurance company. They are right in there with the top of the line on needs, no matter what level you may want. Service is outstanding from start to finish. Who could ask for more... oh, the proof is when you have to file a claim. Outstanding all the way around.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Seems as if the insurance companies have a five year rule on accidents, at fault, your fault, no one's fault. Making a fortune on premiums. Last accident I had I was following a car in right hand turning lane when he slammed on breaks. Pulled to parking lot and not having my phone he used his. Refused to call Police but talked to his insurance (Allstate) for over 42 minutes. Told them he was OK, all this recorded. After I left he drove to the ER and tells them he injured. Hartford never investigated this but raised my rates $7,080.00 for 5 Years. On fixed income, retired this rule killing senior citizens.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I was happy with Erie Insurance for 10 yrs. I joined AARP, and they said they can save me thousands... So I went to Hartford. I paid 138.00 a month for Me my wife, and daughter, 3 cars as well. I should of known a year or so, now I went to just 2 cars, because I retired, I don't need a car. Still 3 drivers, I got a bill from 138.00 went to 241.00 per month just like that... I should of known after 10 yrs. with Erie, the 1st time I move, I get a snake bite... No tickets, no wrecks, nothing.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Last year I talked to a good agent who told me if I kept my broken car on my insurance with just comprehensive I could get a reduction due to multiple cars. Later after I paid up the policy I kept getting harassed by agents demanding more money. Finally they straightened it out and I got an apology. This year I was told that I wanted my broken car reinstated and I would have to pay for 2 cars full insurance. I told 4 agents this was incorrect and I would like to see the form I filled out. They said they would send me a new form which I promptly filled out and sent back. This was over a month ago then I received a letter saying my car insurance would be cancelled in 6 days.

When I called on Sunday I talked to a very disagreeable agent who finally sent the form which I indeed had filled out incorrectly. It was poorly worded and I misunderstood. I told her I had sent the correct form a month ago which she said they never got. So instead of followup as to why they had not received the new form they decided to cancel.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I have been with Hartford Ins. for a number of years with no accidents or tickets for the past 20 + years. When I called for the reason for the $230.00 dollar hike and after waiting on the line for a while, they told me they rec'd information from a third party, when asked they said maybe it was a mechanic, when asked to explain they said they could not (did not make any sense to me). I then cancelled my ins. for auto and home. I thought AARP would not allow things like this to occur.

Original review: June 27, 2017

We were happy with the quote we received from Hartford last July and we changed insurance companies. As new AARP members. My husband handled the transaction. I pay the bills and we drafted the payment out of our American Express Account. The charges were set-up quarterly. Neither of us received any notice or billing other than the charge to our card. Today, after thinking there was an error in our billing, I called to speak with a representative. He said they notified us by email about the rate increase and suggested we check our spam account and that is exactly where all of our billing notices sat unopened.

All of our information has stayed the same: cars, drivers, state, address, no accidents, no speeding, no claims and good driving records. Our young drivers actually graduated college and high school. Yet our annual rate increased over $5,800 a year. We went from $242 a month to $680! $483.00 a month increase! The rep could not give me any reason for the increase. I am furious. Because of a dying parent (I lost my mom in April) and flying back and forth across country, I saw the charge, but thought it was a quarterly payment. I had no idea I was being charged this monthly!

I will be contacting AARP and my insurance commissioner. This seems like classic bait and switch! We are in our 50's I can only imagine them doing this to someone much older like my parents. Do not switch your policy. I would have thought the rate we received would be good for a year and only get better, if we were good drivers and had no claims. I have never felt so ripped off by a company in my life. My parents owned an insurance agency and were agents for over 40 years, I have never seen anything like this business practice. It is companies like this that give insurance companies such a bad reputation.

Original review: June 25, 2017

Continuous mistakes in their efforts to properly insure our vehicles. Over five years they have made errors each spring and fall as we transfer vehicles for summer and winter use. AARP was of no help and didn't even return our calls. Horrible experience.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Signed up for Hartford Insurance through AARP one year ago. They were originally cheaper than the company I was using. After one year with not moving, no tickets, no accidents and the same auto my annual premium increased 50%. Thinking this was in error I phoned and ask them to verify the premium. They said that was the correct amount that they had a rate increase. Now they are way higher than most all other companies even though they keep advertising that they are the cheapest for seniors. I think what they are counting on is after they have you as a customer you will just pay the bill and not question it!

Original review: June 3, 2017

I changed to the Hartford car insurance because with the AARP membership I got my insurance to go a little lower than what I was paying with my former Insurance company. This didn't last too long. As soon as I made a change to my policy the price started to go up, but the worse happened last week when I replace one car with a new leased one. My policy went up more than $2,000. I was going to have to pay around $5,900 for full cover on two cars. I got the exact same coverage with other company for less than half, so I made the switch. In addition the customer service is not reliable. The website states that customer service is available from 7am to 11pm ET, I tried several times to call around 6:30pm when I get home and I always got a message that says that the office is currently closed, so whenever I needed to call I had to do it early in the morning.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I have been an AARP member for years. Just moved from TX to WA and going to buy a used car. I sold my car in TX. I have all information from a car I may purchase tomorrow. I decided to get a quote from AARP today. I called and a male voice came on the line. I believe he said his name was Luane, or similar. I told him what the car was. He said that because I live in WA he can't give me a quote because it is the law here. You have to already have auto insurance to get a quote. I said that did not make any sense at all. I said I sold my car to move here in December 2016. He just said "sorry that is the law." Well... I got a quote from State Farm, Prudential, and Progressive. :-( Please don't send me ads for car insurance. I now have three quotes and will choose one.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Ease of doing business, good business practices, and great customer service have made us very happy customers. The policy coverage and cost was also a better deal when compared to our previous company.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I have never had a ticket nor had a claim but they raised my rates 250.00 every year and would not give a reason. My opinion was because I turned 78. I would understand if I had collision but I only have comprehensives and liability on my car. I couldn't pay what they wanted so I changed to Allstate Ins. It is still pricey but not as high as Hartford. When you get older they think you are not playing with a full deck. My mind is as sharp as ever.

Original review: May 24, 2017

They have annual rates, make it easy to pay online monthly or get a discount for paying in full. Always pleasant if I call and want clarification if I should change coverage as vehicle gets older. AARP is known for standing with a quality company. I've been quoted numerous rates from other insurance companies every year and no one can compete with their rates

I was hit from behind while waiting at a red light and was pushed into the car in front of me. The driver who hit us drove away. The Hartford did not raise our rates and they showed sincere concern that all passengers were OK. My mom who was near 90 at the time I brought to her family doctor and the Hartford paid for it. When the driver was caught and the court had him pay for the damages I called the Hartford telling them I had a check payable to me that I would endorse to them and they sent a letter of thanks.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Sometimes a customer service rep. can be terse when responding to a problem. I was taken aback when I didn't receive my car renewal notice in a timely manner and the customer rep. told me that even though the situation was The Hartford's fault if this happened again I would be dropped. She spoke to me like cross, rigid old auntie. Not a welcome experience and although this happened several years ago I remember the conversation vividly. Afterwards I began calling other ins. companies hoping to find similar costs so I could change, but The Hartford was by far the least expensive.

Original review: May 22, 2017

2015 I joined Hartford Auto insurance (AARP). Just received the renewal notice which increased from 2000+ to 4000+ for our 2014 and 2015 cars. My wife and I have had no tickets no accident. I never had any insurance claims, driving >50 years all over the world, no tickets, my credit score is >800. This was and is a chock. Shame on AARP recommending us such a terrible Insurance company, shame on Hartford. I can only advise, stay away from this company. I also shall not renew my AARP Membership!!

Original review: May 22, 2017

Hartford is customer oriented, and they are very courteous and helpful. Their homeowners' policy is unbeatable, but the price for auto insurance was considerably higher than the other companies, and even with the bundle discount, the cost was quite a bit more than my current company.

Original review: May 21, 2017

We have both home and auto with Hartford. The cost and the service is so much better on both of them than we have ever had with other companies. Absolutely the best experience on all counts. We have had many companies over the years and would absolutely never change unless Hartford went out of business. The only claims we have had so far are for broken glass. In each instance the glass was repaired or sometimes replaced within 24 hours. Great service.

Original review: May 20, 2017

We've been seeking a different company due to overall dissatisfaction with this claim. (We had always paid premiums faithfully and on time for over 7 years). After a driver slammed into me while I was parked, and sitting in our vehicle by our mailbox with the key off, the repairs left us with an inadequate car. Our deductible for accidents was about $800 - this amount was too high, but the only one that seemed affordable when we signed up. Other companies offer better rates for deductible and other rates overall. It was processed in a timely manner, but the repairs were not totally adequate and we were left with a left car door that never closed properly. They insisted nothing more could be done. When we requested the car door be replaced rather than " fixed" it was denied, despite our dissatisfaction.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Good customer service overall. AARP/Hartford had the best prices overall for auto/Home insurance. I was able to get the same coverage I had with my prior company for 1/3 less the price.

Original review: May 18, 2017

They like insuring older people so that when, if ever there is a claim, they can tell you there was no coverage. And, because you are over 50, you must not remember. I have been with them for years and always carried comprehensive. I had never had an accident but when I filed to get my windshield replaced, they said I didn't have the coverage. I know for a fact that I specifically asked the agent to put it on when adding another vehicle. They made up a story about how I wanted to keep the cost low. I asked to hear the recording of that conversation and they told me that was not possible. To replace it was only $178 and I have paid them thousands over the years. BUT DON'T WORRY, THEY'VE GOT MY BACK. They should be saying, WATCH MY BACK.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance is a program offered by The Hartford especially for AARP members. The program has been around for more than 30 years. The insurer is headquartered in Hartford, CT.

• Collectible car insurance: AARP/Hartford offers specialized insurance for collectible car owners, so their valuable collectors' items are covered in case of damage.
    • Umbrella insurance options: Customers can also receive umbrella coverage through the company, so their liability is covered even if a judgment is higher than their primary auto insurance coverage limits.
    • Online calculator: The company offers customers an easy-to-use online calculator that allows them to determine the right amount of coverage before purchasing a policy.
    • Many discounts: AARP/Hartford offers auto insurance discounts for many things, including vehicle fuel choice, air bags and more.
    • Lifetime renewability: AARP/Hartford allows customers to renew their auto insurance policies for their entire lifetime, as long as they are able to drive and meet a few basic requirements.
    • Best for: Drivers over the age of 50 and drivers who belong to AARP.
    Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky