Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
1.67/5

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

558 AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

This insurance is supposed to be a gold standard for seniors. Not true! With no accidents or claims they have raised our rates every year. My car insurance for a 4 door Genesis is $700 a year higher than the next quote I have received. TWhen questioned they said it was because that model has a higher amount of accidents/claims. If so why do the 5 quotes I have received quote so much lower??? Home owners keeps going up $200-300 every year. Never had a claim. Please do your research and do not believe AARP has your best interest with this company. Simply not true!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Accessed TrueLane activity after about a month in the program. It showed one trip a few feet from my house. After that I haven’t been able to access activity. Phoned Hartford customer service. Explained problem. Was on hold 30 minutes. Phoned back. Was on hold until my second phone battery depleted. Went online to the Hartford.com/my account, went to chat, was given number for TrueLane and advised to try until there was less call backup. Problem unsolved, I have no idea what the app is tracking, certainly not me.

Original review: July 21, 2019

AARP is supposed to be affiliated with Hartford Insurance. In my experience they have raised my rates every year since I have been with them. I am to renew my policy in Aug. 2019 and again they have raised my rate $250.00! I will be dropping my AARP membership (as they are not working for retired people) and this Hartford policy. Please do your research before choosing this program.

Original review: June 12, 2019

My son was involved in an accident in which damages to his car amounted to $3300. The value of his car was determined to be over $8000. The Hartford decided to total his car. We asked for the justification and were given the runaround. First, they tried to cite Georgia insurance policy (where the accident occurred). In Georgia, a car is determined to be totaled if the damages added to the salvage value is the same as the value of the car. The salvage value ($4000) plus the damages ($3300) were less than the value of the car, so The Hartford changed their formulation and said they had to go by Alabama policy (where the car was registered & insured). Alabama totals a car if the damages are more than 70% of the value of the car. The damages were less than 50% of the value of the car. At this point, we got lawyers involved. It has been 2 months, and this is still not resolved.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My elderly mother was in an accident (she was not at fault) right before Memorial Day weekend. It took them until June 5 to contact her and let her know her car was totaled. The worst of it is they are trying to low ball her settlement. She paid cash for the car, it had very low miles, she has NEVER been in an accident or had any tickets previously. She has not had any type of auto claim. The Hartford has been horrible! Trying to force her to settle the claim for what they have offered. They told her to find other vehicles that were exactly the same as the totaled one. Send them the price with vehicle location and VIN #. She is not asking for retail or replacement value. Just a reasonable offer to compromise on.

Her adjuster is now out of the office for 2 weeks and didn't bother to email, call or contact her in any way to let her know who she should contact in his absence. They have cancelled her rental car stating they didn't get the paperwork back for the settlement so they are no longer obligated to pay for the rental car. Her car is her independence. How dare they take that from her! My mother has been a Hartford customer for many year and has never filed a claim. She will be finding alternative auto insurance after this. It has been a nightmare.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: May 14, 2019

Insurance should consider person's driving history before issuing points to raise insurance rates! Received first ticket in 30 years and insurance was raised a lot! Also, an accident when I was not at fault they did not back me up and said 50/50 at fault! What is this? I am changing insurance companies asap!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Being in the 50+ age bracket, I was convinced that Hartford would treat us right. Boy, was I wrong. Our rates continued to rise, despite no claims or tickets. I deeply regret ever switching to them. I wish I had done what y’all are doing and read reviews. This year I received an email stating that I would need to pay over $300 TO RENEW MY POLICY!!! What?!!! I immediately began searching other companies and found a great one and it’s much less than the Hartford. Do yourself a tremendous favor and go with a different company.

Original review: April 11, 2019

How can Hartford Insurance represent AARP members? My wife and I are 70 years old and have had Hartford Auto and Homeowners Insurance since we reach 55, and the rates have gone up every year. It hasn't mattered if a vehicle is paid off or ten years old; the rates always increase! The customer service people always give us the run-around advising it the area we live or state we reside.

We recently purchased a new truck for 2019. Our other truck is eleven years old and paid off. Our new rates went up almost fifty dollars per month! $2600 per year on vehicles we only drive for 5000 miles per year. We are both retired. We got a quote from Amica Insurance for our vehicle with higher coverage and a balloon policy. The new rate will be $1600 per year for better coverage; and our homeowner's insurance dropped from $1500 per year down to $1200 per year! Shame on The Hartford for bilking retired Americans!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I received several invitations from AARP and Hartford; "get insurance for your car less than $300, $400 ++ from Gieco, All State..." l believed them and I applied, but what they gave me was unbelievable. ـ Believe or not I got HARTFORD's quote ٪ 45 more than its Competitor. I sent Hartford and its competitor's quotes to AARP. This CO. always announce (we are the big supporter of US 50 + years Citizens) but they stood deaf and dumb.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Hartford wants to use Korean or parts from a cheaper source. Why would they want to use some other cheaper parts to repair the front end on a 2018 truck instead of mfg parts that fit properly. The repair shop will not stand behind the work if they have to use the cheap Korean type parts.

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Company Information