Fast Free Quotes

3. Car Insurance

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Hartford suddenly raised my rates 37.25% with no advance warning, and for no reason whatsoever. I never made a claim. I haven't had an at-fault accident of any kind since the 1980's. Hartford billed my bank account on May 6, 2019, but then, after I cancelled the policy (due to the rate increase) on May 30, 2019 (12:01 am), they sent me a bill for over $82 in June! And now I'm being badgered by a collection agency! Since when does an insurance company bill you in June for coverage in May that you cancelled before the end of May? Beware this company! They will raise your rates substantially for no reason at all, even with a perfect driving record, and will then bill you after you cancel!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

In 2019, I had damage done to my front fender of my 2008 Toyota Highlander. No other car was involved. In 2010, I was hit by a driver who ran a stop sign. Hartford was able to recover their money from that driver's State Farm Ins. Nevertheless, my monthly premium was increased by $30. My issue is that AARP Hartford pretends to be an insurance for seniors. That is untrue. I've now received notification that Hartford has double the annual cost of my insurance to over $2,000.00.

When I called them to question why, I was told it was because of the 2019 accident. I could reduce the amount if I agreed to discontinue the "collision part of my coverage, given the age of my truck. It is a 2008 with 60,000 miles. Given that my husband was very ill in 2019 and subsequently died in that same time period, I am just now finding time to write a review regarding this company's care toward seniors. I would not recommend this insurance over any others that are out to rip consumers regardless of ages. I'm truly upset that AARP allows its name to be attached to them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been a Hartford customer for years with no claims. Recently, I called to get a quote to add a vehicle. I mentioned to the agent that my daughter was driving this vehicle but it was in my name. She had moved home for a few weeks in between jobs. He got me a quote. I decided it was too high and told him I would not be doing it. She already had obtained other insurance on it that was in effect. I thought that was the end of it. Until the next day when I got an email from the Hartford saying they had added my daughter as a driver to all my vehicles and my premium was not $700 more. What? I told him not to add her.

She was only staying here temporarily and she didn't drive my cars. I called the Hartford but they have refused to remove her. That's fine. That's their choice. I regret ever calling for that quote and being honest. I am now switching all my insurances to another local company. I hope it was worth it for the Hartford. What they did was deceptive. So use at your own risk.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

After paying yearly premium in March, I was contacted in July by Hartford to pay $45 more since I was not using TrueLane safe driving app. Apple had messaged me they were tracking me even when I was not driving so I had logged out. I contacted AARP & Tx Department of Insurance to complain. This doesn’t seem right. Meanwhile Hartford cancelled my Insurance!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Saw an advertisement, 59 years of age, no tickets or accidents for 25 years. I was paying 900 a year with another company. Both vehicles paid for. With AARP I was quoted 3000 a year on one car. Ouch!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

This insurance is supposed to be a gold standard for seniors. Not true! With no accidents or claims they have raised our rates every year. My car insurance for a 4 door Genesis is $700 a year higher than the next quote I have received. TWhen questioned they said it was because that model has a higher amount of accidents/claims. If so why do the 5 quotes I have received quote so much lower??? Home owners keeps going up $200-300 every year. Never had a claim. Please do your research and do not believe AARP has your best interest with this company. Simply not true!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Accessed TrueLane activity after about a month in the program. It showed one trip a few feet from my house. After that I haven’t been able to access activity. Phoned Hartford customer service. Explained problem. Was on hold 30 minutes. Phoned back. Was on hold until my second phone battery depleted. Went online to the Hartford.com/my account, went to chat, was given number for TrueLane and advised to try until there was less call backup. Problem unsolved, I have no idea what the app is tracking, certainly not me.

Original review: July 21, 2019

AARP is supposed to be affiliated with Hartford Insurance. In my experience they have raised my rates every year since I have been with them. I am to renew my policy in Aug. 2019 and again they have raised my rate $250.00! I will be dropping my AARP membership (as they are not working for retired people) and this Hartford policy. Please do your research before choosing this program.

Original review: June 12, 2019

My son was involved in an accident in which damages to his car amounted to $3300. The value of his car was determined to be over $8000. The Hartford decided to total his car. We asked for the justification and were given the runaround. First, they tried to cite Georgia insurance policy (where the accident occurred). In Georgia, a car is determined to be totaled if the damages added to the salvage value is the same as the value of the car. The salvage value ($4000) plus the damages ($3300) were less than the value of the car, so The Hartford changed their formulation and said they had to go by Alabama policy (where the car was registered & insured). Alabama totals a car if the damages are more than 70% of the value of the car. The damages were less than 50% of the value of the car. At this point, we got lawyers involved. It has been 2 months, and this is still not resolved.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My elderly mother was in an accident (she was not at fault) right before Memorial Day weekend. It took them until June 5 to contact her and let her know her car was totaled. The worst of it is they are trying to low ball her settlement. She paid cash for the car, it had very low miles, she has NEVER been in an accident or had any tickets previously. She has not had any type of auto claim. The Hartford has been horrible! Trying to force her to settle the claim for what they have offered. They told her to find other vehicles that were exactly the same as the totaled one. Send them the price with vehicle location and VIN #. She is not asking for retail or replacement value. Just a reasonable offer to compromise on.

Her adjuster is now out of the office for 2 weeks and didn't bother to email, call or contact her in any way to let her know who she should contact in his absence. They have cancelled her rental car stating they didn't get the paperwork back for the settlement so they are no longer obligated to pay for the rental car. Her car is her independence. How dare they take that from her! My mother has been a Hartford customer for many year and has never filed a claim. She will be finding alternative auto insurance after this. It has been a nightmare.

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Company Information