2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

The AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford offers car insurance for drivers in most states. Coverage comes with multiple perks, and special savings and benefits are available to safer, more experienced drivers. Applicants must be registered AARP members and at least 50 years old, but those who qualify can get a free, no-obligation quote in eight minutes or less.

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Get a Quote

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I was with the Hartford for years without a claim or complaint. I received this year's renewal and discovered that my rates had increased by about 50%. After a phone call I was told that I had filed a claim in mid June of last year???? After thinking that someone had hit a wrong key on their computer "trust me that happens more than you think" They told me that I had called to inquire about a thing that happened to me about that same time I had pulled over with my travel trailer to let some traffic by and apparently brushed an inanimate object with one of the trailers awning arms which pulled the rivets out. I had only called to see if I filed a claim if would increase my deductible and how many quotes I needed to get, I had yet to get a quote.

After several phone calls and demanding to talk to a supervisor was told that since I told them I had an 'incident' that it was on my record even though I paid for the repairs out of pocket total was $488.00 and I have a $500.00 dollar deductible. I never filed a claim but yet my premiums went up???? What a racket!!!! Even charge you when you don't use them. I won't be renewing my AARP membership if this is the company they want to keep.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

They increased my monthly premium from $119 to $247 without a notification. They claim they didn't receive my USPS mail about exclusion of my out of the country daughter and they just added her to my policy without my consent or even a notification. Stay clear, they will lure you in with a competitive rate and change it behind your back.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

AARP should be ashamed to partner with Hartford. We had a tree limb fall on our roof and punch holes. It was all taken care of. The the claims adjuster should never have been on the front line interfacing with customers. He was a total jerk and we had to pull every bit of information out of him. I'm 63 and doing ok. An older person who had a claim (first time ever like ours) would be totally lost with the process (as I was). And of course the rate raises due to our claim. What I don't understand was why our auto insurance went up hundreds of $ even though we've never filed a claim on that. Good-bye Hartford. Saved $1400 total by switching. I trusted AARP and should have read the reviews first!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My husband got a quote for his car only as he is an AARP member. The price looked good so we decided to do it. When he called yesterday, they asked for the VIN number on my car, which he didn't have, so he told them he would call back today. I thought that was odd, but I chalked it up to them misunderstanding him (that they thought he was wanting the policy for both cars). When we called today, she again asked for my VIN number, so I clarified that I was happy with my insurance company and that the policy would be only for his car. This is where it turned strange. She stated that, because we are married, the policy has to be on both cars because any claimant could come after me as his spouse. Ummm....what???

1) They could do that no matter who our cars are insured with; and 2) What does that have to do with my car?? I understand putting me on as an insured driver (which he is on my policy) but, again, what does that have to do with my car? She also said that I could still have my car on my policy, but that it also had to be on the Hartford policy. And she stated that it was the law in Illinois. Again....what??? I have never heard of this before. We have had our cars on different policies for years with no problem. Needless to say, we will not be going with Hartford for his car and will be looking into switching our renter's insurance (which we have had with Hartford for years) because these shady practices are unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Hartford paid us a 700.00 claim (roof leak), it was actually more but they refused part of the claim. They then raised our premium $1500.00 per year for (they said 3 years) because we filed a claim. We offered to return their $700.00. Of course they refused the offer. We will not use or sell Hartford insurance in the future. Good luck to those who are insured with this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I called on a recommendation from my brother to lower my auto rates. The CSR was very slow on the phone gathering information, then he evidently misunderstood what I was saying because he ended up not able to give me even a verbal quote. He said I had to wait in the mail 7-10 days for a paper to sign saying I wouldn’t have my 27-year old on my policy even though he hasn’t been for 10 years and I didn’t plan on having him on. I waited 8 days to receive this paper, so decided to and called back. The CSR couldn’t understand the notes and still couldn’t give me a rate quote, so I requested a supervisor. He said there wasn’t one available and that he’s have one call me call. Let me point out that my husband and I have excellent driving records so that was not an issue. I never received a call so ended up going with another company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Hartford suddenly raised my rates 37.25% with no advance warning, and for no reason whatsoever. I never made a claim. I haven't had an at-fault accident of any kind since the 1980's. Hartford billed my bank account on May 6, 2019, but then, after I cancelled the policy (due to the rate increase) on May 30, 2019 (12:01 am), they sent me a bill for over $82 in June! And now I'm being badgered by a collection agency! Since when does an insurance company bill you in June for coverage in May that you cancelled before the end of May? Beware this company! They will raise your rates substantially for no reason at all, even with a perfect driving record, and will then bill you after you cancel!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

In 2019, I had damage done to my front fender of my 2008 Toyota Highlander. No other car was involved. In 2010, I was hit by a driver who ran a stop sign. Hartford was able to recover their money from that driver's State Farm Ins. Nevertheless, my monthly premium was increased by $30. My issue is that AARP Hartford pretends to be an insurance for seniors. That is untrue. I've now received notification that Hartford has double the annual cost of my insurance to over $2,000.00.

When I called them to question why, I was told it was because of the 2019 accident. I could reduce the amount if I agreed to discontinue the "collision part of my coverage, given the age of my truck. It is a 2008 with 60,000 miles. Given that my husband was very ill in 2019 and subsequently died in that same time period, I am just now finding time to write a review regarding this company's care toward seniors. I would not recommend this insurance over any others that are out to rip consumers regardless of ages. I'm truly upset that AARP allows its name to be attached to them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been a Hartford customer for years with no claims. Recently, I called to get a quote to add a vehicle. I mentioned to the agent that my daughter was driving this vehicle but it was in my name. She had moved home for a few weeks in between jobs. He got me a quote. I decided it was too high and told him I would not be doing it. She already had obtained other insurance on it that was in effect. I thought that was the end of it. Until the next day when I got an email from the Hartford saying they had added my daughter as a driver to all my vehicles and my premium was not $700 more. What? I told him not to add her.

She was only staying here temporarily and she didn't drive my cars. I called the Hartford but they have refused to remove her. That's fine. That's their choice. I regret ever calling for that quote and being honest. I am now switching all my insurances to another local company. I hope it was worth it for the Hartford. What they did was deceptive. So use at your own risk.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

After paying yearly premium in March, I was contacted in July by Hartford to pay $45 more since I was not using TrueLane safe driving app. Apple had messaged me they were tracking me even when I was not driving so I had logged out. I contacted AARP & Tx Department of Insurance to complain. This doesn’t seem right. Meanwhile Hartford cancelled my Insurance!!

AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance Company Information