Get a Quote

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

4.1/5 (1003 ratings)

About AARP/The Hartford Auto Insurance

The AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford offers car insurance for drivers in most states. Coverage comes with multiple perks, and special savings and benefits are available to safer, more experienced drivers. Applicants must be registered AARP members and at least 50 years old, but those who qualify can get a free, no-obligation quote in eight minutes or less.

Pros

• Designed for senior drivers
  • Member-specific discounts and perks
  • Free quotes

Cons

• Must be 50 or older
  • Available only to AARP members

Bottom Line

AARP provides members-only auto insurance through The Hartford. It’s available only to drivers 50 and older. AARP policies are tailored to your needs, and members get exclusive rate discounts.

AARP/The Hartford Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/The Hartford Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP/Hartford Auto Insurance?

Original review: May 31, 2020

My wife backed into a pole and damage was minimal. Total repair was just less than 1000.00 dollars. I called Hartford and asked if this would affect my premium if I made a claim. I was told no cause it was such a small amount. Got a letter from Hartford a year later stating my insurance was going up by 500.00 dollars a year for 3 years. Goodbye Hartford! You won't get any more money from me. Totally lied to me. Never again. à

Original review: April 28, 2020

First I typically do not write reviews but after my experience of a quote I had to share my concerns. I am a 50 year old male, my wife and I were looking at policies for our car and home. I tried to first do a quote online and the system crashed. I finally called in to get the quote and will say first some what a high pressure sales. I have zero accident and zero claims other than a hail claim on a rental car. I also have zero speeding tickets as a former peace officer.

I called verified the account had to provide information the initial quote was $1,880 a year. Which I must say I was shocked the agent could not explain why so high then realized that the quote did not have a AARP number so he added that number and it dropped it to $1,757 which I was still shocked. He explained and I quote "It's ONLY $146 a month" and the policies they write are for a year. And they do not go up. I encourage anyone over 50+ to look at others I received a binging quote for $108.00 a month, this is not where I want to be but it is way better than The Hartford. A $501.00 savings over a year. So even if I have to be a smart shopping and look around in the future I would rather save the $501.00 I am overpaying!

Original review: March 3, 2020

Our premiums are auto deducted from our checking every month and we are enrolled in paperless billing. I noticed that my premiums had almost doubled, and I did not receive a notice of any changes to the policy. I called AARP and spoke to customer service to find out why my premiums had gone up. I was put on hold while the Rep looked into our account. When she came back on the phone she stated that we added a driver to our policy. And that they sent me a letter in the mail to verify that I authorized this person to be on my policy. I stated that there I never received a letter and she stated that it was sent to me twice. I never received a letter of any kind. She then told me that they verify drivers through the department of motor vehicles and this person has my address on their driver’s license. That’s when I thought someone is trying to fraud me.

I asked for this person to be removed off my policy and that I be credited for the last 3 months of fraudulent charges. So, the Rep said yes she could do that but had to get authorization from the underwriter and put me on hold once again. Several minutes later she came back on the phone and stated since I didn’t respond to the letters they sent me in the mail, that they could not credit me those charges. I explained that I don’t know this person and I never received any mail regarding this driver either. She explained there was nothing she could do. So, I asked to speak to someone above her and because it was on a Friday and at the end of the day it wouldn’t be till the following week.

Meanwhile, I said I will find out who this is and I will be getting my money back. The Rep sent me a copy of the policy with the name of Justin ** and a birthdate of 5/12/2000 was added as a driver back in October of 2019. That name “**” Was my last name 12 years ago from my first marriage and I know for a fact that there is no Justin in that family. I called our local sheriff's office to investigate because I wanted to find out who was using my address on the ID. Officer Cody was able to run a check and found out that there is no Justin ** with that birth date or address in any state of the US!! The only individual or individuals that would benefit from the premium increase is AARP! The driver has no vehicles, and does not exist in fact he does not even appear on my proof of insurance!

I believe that someone looked at my credit report seen what my name was back in 2000 and made up a name and birth date and then added the driver to my policy for financial gain.The following day I received another call from AARP and I explained to her what I found out on a recorded line, and she still is refusing to credit me the past 3 months of charges!! I told her you are frauding me on a made up individual and then she went on to say that I was sent an email about this driver and that I have access to my account online so I should have known and still I could not get across to her that your company is telling me they verified this person through the DMV. This is a total lie, because he does not exist. And you first tell me I was sent a letter and now you are telling me I was sent an email which is another lie, because I did not receive an email either!

How many other people are being fraudulently charged higher premiums on added drivers or anything else they want to add to a person’s policy without them knowing, because their premiums are auto deducted? I feel like this is a very big deal!! AARP has reputation for looking out for seniors and now that trust for this company has been completely shattered.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

In one word "Awful". 1) First issue - I used the on-line quote of getting the Hartford car insurance for AARP members. The premium amount was $520 more than the quote for a 12-month policy. I was told that was the case because of "1" speeding ticket. Other than that, my record has been near perfect. No accidents and/or other tickets for over 20 years. I thought that was excessive for just 1 speeding ticket so I spoke with rep and so-called supervisor. After back & forth talk, absolutely nothing was done. 2)Second issue - I was also given a premium amount less than 2 week ago for a much lesser amount than the premium that was currently given. Nothing had change in my records within that 2 week period, but somehow the 2 premiums were over $300 in difference. In my case, the premium amounts did not coincide with the incident and conflicting quotes and/or premiums. Long story short, I did not get the insurance.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

Had Hartford for 7 years and experienced good service on claims. 1 major at fault accident, 2 spammers claims and a deer involved accident. Premiums went up accordingly. Switched to Liberty Mutual and premiums went up w/o any claims after 3 years. Went back to Hartford after checking rates. Shopped around again for 2020 and found that Allstate Milewise plan will save me $600 a year. Also received home insurance quote that is $300 a year cheaper. It pays to shop yearly as we are retired. Hartford and had great service but Allstate is rated higher by Consumer Reports.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Asked for a reduced cost when other insurance price increased, I asked for same policy with Hartford agent and paid for the year 1400.00 plus. This year same policy 17000!. Began to get quotes from AAA, Liberty Mutual, Nationwide... For same coverage...When the agents informed me I did not have full coverage with collision but a liability auto policy which should have been half the price (700-900 max) I paid!

When confronted by Better Business Bureau I received a call from a rude woman who gave her name as T from Aarp Hartford.. They represent the majority of seniors in this country yet fraudulent practices. She said she listened to 2 hour phone call with rep. I wanted a copy of the call. Of course, she refused because she knew it was fraud. Please beware of semantics when speaking with aarp hartford agents. In addition, aarp hartford reduced my home policy to half of what I receive now from a top homeowners insurance for twice as much coverage. Alarming!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I was with the Hartford for years without a claim or complaint. I received this year's renewal and discovered that my rates had increased by about 50%. After a phone call I was told that I had filed a claim in mid June of last year???? After thinking that someone had hit a wrong key on their computer "trust me that happens more than you think" They told me that I had called to inquire about a thing that happened to me about that same time I had pulled over with my travel trailer to let some traffic by and apparently brushed an inanimate object with one of the trailers awning arms which pulled the rivets out. I had only called to see if I filed a claim if would increase my deductible and how many quotes I needed to get, I had yet to get a quote.

After several phone calls and demanding to talk to a supervisor was told that since I told them I had an 'incident' that it was on my record even though I paid for the repairs out of pocket total was $488.00 and I have a $500.00 dollar deductible. I never filed a claim but yet my premiums went up???? What a racket!!!! Even charge you when you don't use them. I won't be renewing my AARP membership if this is the company they want to keep.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

They increased my monthly premium from $119 to $247 without a notification. They claim they didn't receive my USPS mail about exclusion of my out of the country daughter and they just added her to my policy without my consent or even a notification. Stay clear, they will lure you in with a competitive rate and change it behind your back.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

AARP should be ashamed to partner with Hartford. We had a tree limb fall on our roof and punch holes. It was all taken care of. The the claims adjuster should never have been on the front line interfacing with customers. He was a total jerk and we had to pull every bit of information out of him. I'm 63 and doing ok. An older person who had a claim (first time ever like ours) would be totally lost with the process (as I was). And of course the rate raises due to our claim. What I don't understand was why our auto insurance went up hundreds of $ even though we've never filed a claim on that. Good-bye Hartford. Saved $1400 total by switching. I trusted AARP and should have read the reviews first!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My husband got a quote for his car only as he is an AARP member. The price looked good so we decided to do it. When he called yesterday, they asked for the VIN number on my car, which he didn't have, so he told them he would call back today. I thought that was odd, but I chalked it up to them misunderstanding him (that they thought he was wanting the policy for both cars). When we called today, she again asked for my VIN number, so I clarified that I was happy with my insurance company and that the policy would be only for his car. This is where it turned strange. She stated that, because we are married, the policy has to be on both cars because any claimant could come after me as his spouse. Ummm....what???

1) They could do that no matter who our cars are insured with; and 2) What does that have to do with my car?? I understand putting me on as an insured driver (which he is on my policy) but, again, what does that have to do with my car? She also said that I could still have my car on my policy, but that it also had to be on the Hartford policy. And she stated that it was the law in Illinois. Again....what??? I have never heard of this before. We have had our cars on different policies for years with no problem. Needless to say, we will not be going with Hartford for his car and will be looking into switching our renter's insurance (which we have had with Hartford for years) because these shady practices are unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Hartford paid us a 700.00 claim (roof leak), it was actually more but they refused part of the claim. They then raised our premium $1500.00 per year for (they said 3 years) because we filed a claim. We offered to return their $700.00. Of course they refused the offer. We will not use or sell Hartford insurance in the future. Good luck to those who are insured with this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I called on a recommendation from my brother to lower my auto rates. The CSR was very slow on the phone gathering information, then he evidently misunderstood what I was saying because he ended up not able to give me even a verbal quote. He said I had to wait in the mail 7-10 days for a paper to sign saying I wouldn’t have my 27-year old on my policy even though he hasn’t been for 10 years and I didn’t plan on having him on. I waited 8 days to receive this paper, so decided to and called back. The CSR couldn’t understand the notes and still couldn’t give me a rate quote, so I requested a supervisor. He said there wasn’t one available and that he’s have one call me call. Let me point out that my husband and I have excellent driving records so that was not an issue. I never received a call so ended up going with another company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Hartford suddenly raised my rates 37.25% with no advance warning, and for no reason whatsoever. I never made a claim. I haven't had an at-fault accident of any kind since the 1980's. Hartford billed my bank account on May 6, 2019, but then, after I cancelled the policy (due to the rate increase) on May 30, 2019 (12:01 am), they sent me a bill for over $82 in June! And now I'm being badgered by a collection agency! Since when does an insurance company bill you in June for coverage in May that you cancelled before the end of May? Beware this company! They will raise your rates substantially for no reason at all, even with a perfect driving record, and will then bill you after you cancel!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

AARP policy. Have been with them for years. Rates are always highly competitive and service is outstanding. Website is excellent and easy to navigate. Phone reps are courteous and knowledgeable. I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

AARP the Hartford had the best rates for me and when I have questions or concerns a phone call connects me to a professional and courteous customer service rep plus they have an excellent mobile app or I can go online and pay my bill or make changes to my policy. Highly recommended.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

In 2019, I had damage done to my front fender of my 2008 Toyota Highlander. No other car was involved. In 2010, I was hit by a driver who ran a stop sign. Hartford was able to recover their money from that driver's State Farm Ins. Nevertheless, my monthly premium was increased by $30. My issue is that AARP Hartford pretends to be an insurance for seniors. That is untrue. I've now received notification that Hartford has double the annual cost of my insurance to over $2,000.00.

When I called them to question why, I was told it was because of the 2019 accident. I could reduce the amount if I agreed to discontinue the "collision part of my coverage, given the age of my truck. It is a 2008 with 60,000 miles. Given that my husband was very ill in 2019 and subsequently died in that same time period, I am just now finding time to write a review regarding this company's care toward seniors. I would not recommend this insurance over any others that are out to rip consumers regardless of ages. I'm truly upset that AARP allows its name to be attached to them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I have been a Hartford customer for years with no claims. Recently, I called to get a quote to add a vehicle. I mentioned to the agent that my daughter was driving this vehicle but it was in my name. She had moved home for a few weeks in between jobs. He got me a quote. I decided it was too high and told him I would not be doing it. She already had obtained other insurance on it that was in effect. I thought that was the end of it. Until the next day when I got an email from the Hartford saying they had added my daughter as a driver to all my vehicles and my premium was not $700 more. What? I told him not to add her.

She was only staying here temporarily and she didn't drive my cars. I called the Hartford but they have refused to remove her. That's fine. That's their choice. I regret ever calling for that quote and being honest. I am now switching all my insurances to another local company. I hope it was worth it for the Hartford. What they did was deceptive. So use at your own risk.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

After paying yearly premium in March, I was contacted in July by Hartford to pay $45 more since I was not using TrueLane safe driving app. Apple had messaged me they were tracking me even when I was not driving so I had logged out. I contacted AARP & Tx Department of Insurance to complain. This doesn’t seem right. Meanwhile Hartford cancelled my Insurance!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Saw an advertisement, 59 years of age, no tickets or accidents for 25 years. I was paying 900 a year with another company. Both vehicles paid for. With AARP I was quoted 3000 a year on one car. Ouch!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

This insurance is supposed to be a gold standard for seniors. Not true! With no accidents or claims they have raised our rates every year. My car insurance for a 4 door Genesis is $700 a year higher than the next quote I have received. TWhen questioned they said it was because that model has a higher amount of accidents/claims. If so why do the 5 quotes I have received quote so much lower??? Home owners keeps going up $200-300 every year. Never had a claim. Please do your research and do not believe AARP has your best interest with this company. Simply not true!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Accessed TrueLane activity after about a month in the program. It showed one trip a few feet from my house. After that I haven’t been able to access activity. Phoned Hartford customer service. Explained problem. Was on hold 30 minutes. Phoned back. Was on hold until my second phone battery depleted. Went online to the Hartford.com/my account, went to chat, was given number for TrueLane and advised to try until there was less call backup. Problem unsolved, I have no idea what the app is tracking, certainly not me.

Original review: July 21, 2019

AARP is supposed to be affiliated with Hartford Insurance. In my experience they have raised my rates every year since I have been with them. I am to renew my policy in Aug. 2019 and again they have raised my rate $250.00! I will be dropping my AARP membership (as they are not working for retired people) and this Hartford policy. Please do your research before choosing this program.

Original review: June 12, 2019

My son was involved in an accident in which damages to his car amounted to $3300. The value of his car was determined to be over $8000. The Hartford decided to total his car. We asked for the justification and were given the runaround. First, they tried to cite Georgia insurance policy (where the accident occurred). In Georgia, a car is determined to be totaled if the damages added to the salvage value is the same as the value of the car. The salvage value ($4000) plus the damages ($3300) were less than the value of the car, so The Hartford changed their formulation and said they had to go by Alabama policy (where the car was registered & insured). Alabama totals a car if the damages are more than 70% of the value of the car. The damages were less than 50% of the value of the car. At this point, we got lawyers involved. It has been 2 months, and this is still not resolved.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My elderly mother was in an accident (she was not at fault) right before Memorial Day weekend. It took them until June 5 to contact her and let her know her car was totaled. The worst of it is they are trying to low ball her settlement. She paid cash for the car, it had very low miles, she has NEVER been in an accident or had any tickets previously. She has not had any type of auto claim. The Hartford has been horrible! Trying to force her to settle the claim for what they have offered. They told her to find other vehicles that were exactly the same as the totaled one. Send them the price with vehicle location and VIN #. She is not asking for retail or replacement value. Just a reasonable offer to compromise on.

Her adjuster is now out of the office for 2 weeks and didn't bother to email, call or contact her in any way to let her know who she should contact in his absence. They have cancelled her rental car stating they didn't get the paperwork back for the settlement so they are no longer obligated to pay for the rental car. Her car is her independence. How dare they take that from her! My mother has been a Hartford customer for many year and has never filed a claim. She will be finding alternative auto insurance after this. It has been a nightmare.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Insurance should consider person's driving history before issuing points to raise insurance rates! Received first ticket in 30 years and insurance was raised a lot! Also, an accident when I was not at fault they did not back me up and said 50/50 at fault! What is this? I am changing insurance companies asap!

Original review: April 19, 2019

Easy application. You just pick your choices of coverage and you get a price. Mine was reasonable so I paid the bill. You get an online portal to see documents, make payments, and communicate with them if desired. You can make changes to your policy on the site. I've make claims and they were handled in a fast professional way. Quick and easy. And renew ability is guaranteed. All in all a great policy with a great company. I'm very happy with it.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Being in the 50+ age bracket, I was convinced that Hartford would treat us right. Boy, was I wrong. Our rates continued to rise, despite no claims or tickets. I deeply regret ever switching to them. I wish I had done what y’all are doing and read reviews. This year I received an email stating that I would need to pay over $300 TO RENEW MY POLICY!!! What?!!! I immediately began searching other companies and found a great one and it’s much less than the Hartford. Do yourself a tremendous favor and go with a different company.

Original review: April 11, 2019

How can Hartford Insurance represent AARP members? My wife and I are 70 years old and have had Hartford Auto and Homeowners Insurance since we reach 55, and the rates have gone up every year. It hasn't mattered if a vehicle is paid off or ten years old; the rates always increase! The customer service people always give us the run-around advising it the area we live or state we reside.

We recently purchased a new truck for 2019. Our other truck is eleven years old and paid off. Our new rates went up almost fifty dollars per month! $2600 per year on vehicles we only drive for 5000 miles per year. We are both retired. We got a quote from Amica Insurance for our vehicle with higher coverage and a balloon policy. The new rate will be $1600 per year for better coverage; and our homeowner's insurance dropped from $1500 per year down to $1200 per year! Shame on The Hartford for bilking retired Americans!

Original review: March 18, 2019

I received several invitations from AARP and Hartford; "get insurance for your car less than $300, $400 ++ from Gieco, All State..." l believed them and I applied, but what they gave me was unbelievable. ـ Believe or not I got HARTFORD's quote ٪ 45 more than its Competitor. I sent Hartford and its competitor's quotes to AARP. This CO. always announce (we are the big supporter of US 50 + years Citizens) but they stood deaf and dumb.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Hartford wants to use Korean or parts from a cheaper source. Why would they want to use some other cheaper parts to repair the front end on a 2018 truck instead of mfg parts that fit properly. The repair shop will not stand behind the work if they have to use the cheap Korean type parts.

AARP/The Hartford Auto Insurance Company Information