2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

BOTTOM LINE

D.R. Horton Homes are ideal for buyers who are ready to purchase but don’t want the hassle of customizing features. D.R. Horton offers energy-efficient features and smart home functionality.

PROS

• Energy-efficient
  • Smart home devices
  • Move-in ready
  • Financing available

CONS

• No customization
  • Limited availability

Top D.R. Horton Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended … Very thorough and patient. I can say anything else except I had [a] wonderful experience.

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR Horton homes. As of today's date we have a few small issues but none that can't be rectified by our warranty department..

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is D.R. Horton?

D.R. Horton Homes are available in a variety of floor plans, sizes and styles. To visualize the design and amenities offered by D.R. Horton, visit a model home or tour a finished community. You can schedule in-person visits to a model home during listed business hours, and newly finished houses can be scheduled for viewing directly from the digital listing on the D.R. Horton website.

Characteristics and features of D.R. Horton’s homes include:

• Open floor plans
    • State-of-the-art appliances
    • Energy-efficiency
    • Integrated geofencing technology
    • Multiplatform wireless network
    • One-wire connectivity
    • Hands-free communication.

You can access all functions of the home’s smart devices on the Qolsys IQ Panel, which allows you to use a variety of smart device products from one central location. From the Qolsys IQ Panel, you can adjust the thermostat, set the alarm, lock and unlock doors and set lights on a timer.

D.R. Horton closing costs and home prices

Prices of D.R. Horton homes vary based on the location, floor plan, size and style of the home selected. Most listings do not include closing costs or any related fees, so the price listed may not be 100% accurate. To determine an estimated mortgage payment you can afford, use the mortgage calculator on D.R. Horton’s website. Financing and insurance are available through affiliates of D.R. Horton Homes.

dr horton homes house

Photo (c) D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes FAQ

What is included in a D.R. Horton home?
    A home built by D.R. Horton features energy-efficient construction, integrated geofencing technology, a multiplatform wireless network, one-wire connectivity and hands-free communication. These features are powered by the Qolsys IQ panel. The panel is compatible with a Honeywell thermostat, Amazon Echo Dot, Kwikset Smartcode and Skybell. Some features may be unavailable in Hawaii.
    Are D.R. Horton Homes efficient?
    D.R. Horton uses energy-efficient roofing materials, siding, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Every D.R. Horton home features at least one appliance or product with an EnergyStar designation.
    Do D.R. Horton Homes come with appliances?
    Yes. D.R. Horton homes include Whirlpool appliances.
    Will D.R. Horton negotiate prices?
    The company is open to negotiation with any buyer. When negotiating pricing, consider using D.R. Horton’s immediate inventory and preferred vendors. You may receive a lower price.
    What is a D.R. Horton smart home?
    D.R. Horton smart homes are equipped with alarms, smart thermostats, wireless interior lighting controls, electronic deadbolts and smart video doorbells.

Is D.R. Horton a good builder?

D.R. Horton can be a good choice for buyers who want a move-in ready home that doesn’t require any remodeling. While D.R. Horton is a reputable company, it’s essential to vet the builder and conduct an appraisal. We like the affordability, convenience and capabilities offered by the company, so if the price works for you and you find a design and floor plan that suits your needs, we recommend D.R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

ALL GOOD with our 2yr old home. I feel the first owner was on a shake down cruise!!! I grew up in a 12,000 sq footer!! This is a beautiful home and smart! You can find something wrong with a perfect baby of diamond. I suppose I know what's quality. Wife and I love it to be perfectly honest!! So choose location and ground!! It's on and maybe got lucky and the workers are in tune etc. You can complain about a perfect weather day,,,,anytime.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

In reading some of the negative reviews for DR Horton I was compelled to write about my own experience. My husband and I purchased a home in the Landing at Rocklyn in Clemmons, NC. We have been in our new home for about 2 months and are loving it. From the day we walked into the sales office and met Maria we were sure this was the builder for us. She was nice, knowledgeable, and very approachable. She showed us several homes and never once pressured us to buy. She answered any questions we had very quickly and followed up with us. We had to change our closing date twice due to unforeseen complications with the selling of our home.

Both times I contacted Connie at DR Horton in the mortgage department and she changed the dates with no problem. We also cannot say enough about the construction manager Robbie. We had our new home inspected (which was their suggestion) before we closed and he found a few small problems (which I think they have to). Robbie fixed them with no questions asked. During our one month walk through, Robbie addressed every issue we had and even fixed the problems he could right then. I would highly recommend purchasing a DR Horton home.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Maureen. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you and your husband enjoy your new home for many years.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

My wife and I purchased a D.R. Horton home about 5 months ago, and I have to say, at least so far, we’ve had no bad experiences with the company or the build of our home. About a week into living in the home, we had plumbing back up, but we called our subcontractor who worked on the plumbing to come out using the emergency number and they came out and fixed it right away. Thankfully, it turned out to just be debris caught up in the lone. There were a few cosmetic issues during the walkthrough that we wanted addressed and they were, very promptly, by our superintendent. Then about a month after living in the house we discovered a couple more minor cosmetic issues that, again, were quickly and promptly taken care of by the superintendent, Keith.

We had a couple of tiles with smudges on them during the walkthrough and Keith immediately had the subcontractor who worked on the house come all the way from Orlando, about an hour and a half drive from our neighborhood, come out and fix it. Keith was very professional and understanding through the whole process, knowing this was the first home my wife and I would own together, and was always there to address any concerns or issues we had. Very professional with a great attitude and making sure any problems we had were taken care of right away.

We had also heard of problems with their mortgage company and preferred lender, but the communication and process with us was smooth and painless. Paul, who showed us the home, was the best. He still, to this day, several months after living here, checks in with us and makes sure everything is ok. We came by the house every weekend to make sure things were coming along well and he never was bothered by or minded us doing so. All in all, so far we’ve had no issues and the home appears to be well built and we love it. Subject to change down the road, of course, given wear and tear, but everyone with the company that we’ve worked with has been nothing but first rate. Would recommend based solely on our experience as of right now.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Matt. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: June 2, 2020

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended ❤. My next was my Lender Samuel M, who later acquired my account due some mishaps. But it was quickly rectified by him he too. Magnified excellent customer service and thorough explanation of each document it acquires. Never made me feel like I was bothering him. He too is highly recommended and behind the scenes were HBC representatives Easter L and Evelyn S, and I can't forget my wonderful loan processor BH and the builder Mark T. Man what a great guy. He explain our home to us. Very thorough and patient. I even saw him after I close. Had a question. Came over while he was working on another stop to assist. Wow. I can say anything else except I had an wonderful experience.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Sandra. Thank you for taking time to share your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I would like to give a BIG shout out to Laura **, Sales Rep. and Willis **, Superintendent. From start to finish these guys did what it took to make my client's dream come true. Laura, thanks for showing us around and taking many hours in helping my client and myself from day one. Willis, thanks for always being there and getting the job done and taking care of whatever came up. Also, for showing lots of patience with my client. Again these two go over and beyond for their Co. D.R. Horton should feel mighty proud to have these two on the Team!

- Curt, Realtor

D.R. Horton Homes response

Thank you, Curt, for taking time to post your comments. We hope your clients have many very happy years in their new home.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I will preface this with the fact that I’m not usually one to complain about things and I’ve sat with my feelings for a few months just to make sure I wasn’t acting out of a place of rage, but here’s my honest experience. If you’re even thinking of building (not buying an already made house) with D.R. Horton, please do yourself a favor and find literally anyone else. Once they schmooze you into signing, everything goes downhill nearly immediately. They pride themselves for being a production house which goes up fast, but it’s anything but. We signed our papers mid June 2020 and by mid-November 2020 it’s not even close to being move-in ready. Not to mention they can’t even commit to a move in date when we have to be out of our current house by the end of the month.

From start to finish it’s been incredibly slow and from knowing people who work for other builders, my expectations don’t seem anywhere unrealistic. Maybe one or two things gets done a week and that’s being generous. It feels like they only work with a few cheap sub-contractors and it’s like pulling teeth to get literally anyone to show up and do anything substantial. I’m honestly concerned that I’m going to find a ton of stuff wrong with the house because they’re trying to rush things within the last two weeks because they didn’t manage their time well enough the last five months.

It honestly feels like all they care about is selling the houses, but not actually giving a crap if they get finished. If I could give this experience a negative score, I would and that’s saying a lot... they’ve honestly ruined any excitement that we would have had building a new house and made it an incredibly stressful one. I’ve read through a lot of the negative reviews on here and I can say that I’ve experience many of the same frustrations. Please save yourself the stress and headache and choose another builder. You’re just a number here and nothing more.

Resolution response: Nov. 16, 2020

I did a review here the other day, (11/11/2020) on D.R. Horton Homes. D.R. Horton Homes responded to me through this site requesting I provide additional information to help resolve the issue. I immediately responded on a link they provided at my review. I have pasted their reply below:

Good Morning, Mr. **:
      Thank you for your email. We have forwarded your review to our management team in Palm Bay, FL for their action.

Best regards,

Their response was amazingly simple, they did not like me taking progress photos depicting their true quality of our soon to be new home. The next morning after my review, my wife and I went to our new home to measure for blinds and within 3 minutes the Superintendent/Cleanup Worker, came in the house and told us to “IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THE PROPERTY AND DON’T COME BACK”, we were banned from the D.R. Horton's property, he was generally polite, but so mad he was shaking. We immediately left the house and as we were getting into our vehicle, he was installing a large "NO TRESPASSING SIGN" on the garage door. He did not like us taking photos showing how they really do things, so that is how he corrected his problem, simply ban us from entry to “their” property.

Oh well that is simply great, a $5,000.00 deposit down the drain, that is 4.2 months of Social Security. I have attached the photo of the sign for D.R. Hortons Homes enjoyment. I haven’t even had time to review any of my 200+ photos and give detailed descriptions associated with each.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

My wife and I purchased a DR Horton home in Palm Bay, Florida in August 2020. It's close to being finished, but who knows when. I was in construction management my entire working career, I am 72 years old,, and the quality of this company is absolutely the worst I have ever seen. Our sales Rep has generally been good, but has no say in the construction, he basically can give you a name and number to call. However, you can never really contact the DR Horton employees, you leave a message and you generally will get no reply. The company has so much business, there is no way they can supervise, they are only reactive, they have no idea how to be proactive. GOOD LUCK!!

D.R. Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

My husband and I built a home through DR Horton. It was an awful experience really. There were issues upon issues and all we ever got was excuses and the runaround. When we finally were able to close and move in, there were numerous issues with the construction of the home. At our 90 day warranty check, the warranty rep, Gilbert **, blew us off and told us they should have made those repairs prior to closing and acted as if they would not fix them. There were bulging spots in the drywall and substandard mud work as well as ceiling finish looking like a kindergartener had done it.

I had to submit a formal complaint and have a supervisor, Mike **, come out to look at my house. He needed to see if I was being reasonable in my requests. After he came out, all of the items I had pointed out were determined to be reasonable and he ordered all to be repaired. After that, some boards of our very expensive floor separated and had a 3/4' gap in between them. When I told Gil, he said they would get that at the one year mark. This was unacceptable. I again had to make a request to a manager to have this repaired.

I had been quite accepting of issues up to this point in my opinion-the foreman even scratched up a large portion of my floor prior to closing. The floor was not repaired until a couple weeks after we closed on the home. We attended several construction meetings in which no staff were there. They had cancelled or rescheduled and failed to tell us or our realtor. We had several lights wired incorrectly so that switches did not work. After having lights installed, my son's overhead light was on for several days before they came to repair the incorrect wiring. He could not turn his light off at all until then. There was a gas leak in our house during construction as well.

Now, 16 months after we purchased the home, we had our one year warranty check. There was a place on the outside of our house that the painters did not paint upon initial build. We had a gas line run to our porch for a fire table. Construction left a tall PVC pipe sticking up that was not painted behind. Shortly after we moved in, the pipe was cut to size and the table was set. They just now painted the part left bare-over a year after initial painting. The painter only painted the bare portion, not the entire board. The paint does not match exactly after this time so it looks terrible.

I asked for the leftover paint so that we could have it fixed ourselves and was informed that they do not provide extra exterior paint. I would not need it if not for their poor service and shoddy work. It is ridiculous that customers spend this much money and have to beg to have work repaired. We were patient throughout a lot of issues with our home. Now, it is a big issue for them to give us some leftover paint. There is not even another house in the neighborhood the same color. It is quite petty, but par for the course with this company. Sadly...

D.R. Horton Homes response

Good afternoon, Robyn. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have shared your concerns with our management team in Indiana for their review and action.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I retired from the USAF in 2002 in California. My family moved to Georgia in September 2009. With one kid in her second year of college and another soon to graduate from high school we decided to buy a home in 2018. In October 2018 our Realtor Frankie ** took us to your homes in Dallas, Georgia. Your leasing agent Tami ** had a property that she showed us. At the time she indicated that the property had one of the smallest yards and was probably why it was still available. We were delighted with the prospect of a small yard due to the extra cost of maintaining a larger yard.

As we were viewing the property Tami told my wife Nina, our Realtor and me on October 28th that “No prospective buyer was responsible for the hill next door to the property”. She indicated that according to Brian ** who is a contractor with D.R.Horton who had walked the property with her and Cameel ** “NO” buyer would have to maintain the hill as it a common area. We subsequently purchased the property with that disclosure as a large factor in our decision to do so.

Fast warded to March 2019: We decided to fence in our yard for our pet and privacy. After getting estimates we followed the HOA required guidelines and contacted them regarding approval for the fence and to ensure we were not infringing on common owed property. On March 28th Amanda from the HOA emailed me a land survey. When I questioned her about the survey she stated there is no need to be concern as you own that property. We were shocked to hear this. We had lots of questions that she was not able to answer so she referred us to Angelica ** at D.R. Horton to get answers on the true ownership of the property and any warranty work. We were passed around so much and eventually told “D.R. Horton is in the business of building homes.” Like what do you want from us? What a lack of customer service.

Finally we sent an email regarding the property next door with no response at least that is what we thought. Adam ** who works with Brian ** was sent to inspect the property in question without our knowledge. The only way we found out that D.R. Horton had sent someone was from our neighbors. We had asked them to let us know if they ever saw anyone on the hill. Reason being was dirt bike riders were known to frequent all of the open areas. You didn’t even have enough courtesy to inform us he was coming to inspect the property. We subsequently got an email a few days later saying that “It can be maintained with a lawnmower.” What kind of customer service is this? We needed time to digest exactly what was transpiring and felt like this was a no win situation at this time. However we were determined to get this resolved as we were very much mislead in purchasing this home.

We were able to set up a meeting at our home In October 2019 Brian **, Amanda and my realtor Franky ** to discuss resolutions. They eventually walked the property and we asked them to have the property rezoned. Brian responded that there are “other homeowners with land issues and that this request could take years to complete.” He suggested that we talk to the HOA about buying the land. What a true deflection tactic. How much sense does this make? Why should the HOA have to purchase land and become financially liable for a “problem” they were not a part of. We questioned that this ridiculous request would put an unfair financial burden on the HOA who could subsequently pass the cost along to my neighbors and us. At this point we knew that this was a David and Goliath battle.

Fast forward December and we never heard back from anyone. Feeling as though we had exhausted all reasonable avenues to resolve this issue we contacted an Attorney for legal advice. Martinez Law Firm sent the enclosed correspondence dated December 12, 2019 to D.R. Horton WPH, LLC. There still has been no response from you.

As a Retired Disabled Veteran of the USAF I find it very disheartening that my family would be subject to such unethical tactics to sell a home. We were very budget mined in selecting a home we could afford and enjoy. To find out that we have to incur expenses to maintain property we understood we would not own is heart wrenching. We now have two kids in college which is a blessing. There is no room in our budget to maintain property we never intended to purchase. As of September 30, 2020 we have still again had no response from you.

Our requested resolution is for you to return us to the position we understood we would be in when we decided to purchase the property located at **. At that time all disclosures represented to us that the property next door as in the words of your own representative: “No prospective buyer was responsible for the hill next door“ and “No buyer would have to maintain the hill as it was a common area” and would not be part of our home purchase. Based on these disclosures we made an informative decision at least that is what we thought we were doing to purchase the property. Finding out that these statements were a misrepresentation of the actual facts to secure a buyer is unethical and a violation of real estate disclosures. D.R. Horton you are a multimillion dollar builder and have no need to stoop to selling tactics like this to sell homes.

My family and I look forward to your immediate action upon receipt of this correspondence and attachments to put in place our request regarding said land rezoning. We are requesting that you rezone our property to reflect what you informed us we would own should we purchase this home. Attached see copies of our documentation such as pictures of land markers.

Noel ** Retired USAF

D.R. Horton Homes response

As the homeowner has engaged legal counsel, all requests, questions, or clarifications should be directed to their attorney.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

My fiancé and I purchased our first home with DR Horton back in July. When we moved in the sod that was laid was extremely dry. They told us as long as we watered it everything would be fine. We watered and watered and it hasn't bounced back. I have contacted EVERY PERSON I can POSSIBLY think of OR find online MULTIPLE times and NO ONE will EVER RESPOND! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THIS COMPANY. After SEVERAL follow up calls and emails, they all just tell me that "have passed it off to a different department".

It is November 2nd and I have been attempting to get this fixed since we moved in, in JULY. I have seen several neighbors get their yards fixed (as they had the same issue as us) and I feel like our concerns are just being swept under the rug. Our yard looks like complete and total trash compared to the rest of the neighborhood and it completely and utterly embarrassing. DR Horton only cares about homeowners until they sign the papers and then they don't give a crap about you or your property. The lack of response is completely disrespectful and I am beyond fed up. Do not buy from DR Horton unless you can fix every problem yourself and don't care about shoveling out extra money for things that should correct when you purchased the home in the first place.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Abbie. We are working with the team in your division to verify if the sod is dormant and to bring your concern to the appropriate resolution.

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information