Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

987 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 21, 2019

Hi Everyone, My honest opinion is....that first building a home is stressful no matter who the builder is. This is my third house and hopefully my last but everyone expects a perfect house and me too! Some get the opportunity to see the whole process and others walk in one complete not knowing if it was done correct. I guarantee either will be. The problem is you have good and bad contractors that a builder hires. I have never seen a builder hire the most expensive bid and nether would you hire one. It’s all about profit like every American company. Sorry.

I am fortunate enough to know what to look for during the building process and I drive the supervisor crazy. It really comes down to a floor plan, price and location that you will like. My DR Horton Homes met this criteria on all three on two of the builds. I’m fortunate with relocating in different states they were here. All builders have these issues and it’s down to what you want. Just make sure the person in charge of building your house (supervisor) gets out of his truck and goes over the work they are doing than sitting on their phone all day and just cutting P.O.’s. If he seems that lazy then your house will look it. They need to keep on the quality and I felt my guy did his best. After one year now they came back with the contractors and repaired my floors and interior paint. I happy and that is all that matters. Do I see problems in the future. Maybe but if you have any house you will. That’s life. Hope this helps.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning, Bruce. Thank you for your comments. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This is the first home that I have ever purchased. I read the reviews online and saw that they were terrible, and I decided to continue with the purchase of my home with this builder. First, let's start with the "locating a home" process. I was too close to my apartment lease ending to have a home built from scratch, so I chose a model home. The sales representative, Nancy was very attentive and patient explaining everything. She was also very straight-forward (which I like). She showed me the home and explained the process of buying it. After we decided to move forward the the home, she drafted the contract and I read every single page (remember, I read the reviews so I didn't trust the builder). Again, Nancy was very patient and helpful.

When it came to finishing the model home, I was brought in for inspections and looked at the home several times. I wasn't able to choose my own colors and cabinetry because the far was too far along by that point, but I didn't mind. I used the DR Horton Financial company as a lender for the loan, and the representative Tiffany was very helpful. She answered every one of my calls, and always had an answer. If she didn't she got back to me promptly. The closing was not delayed, I was kept in the loop, and it was executed as planned.

On to the final walk-through inspection. This is the area where DR Horton has room for improvement. About 2 days prior to closing, the builder scheduled the initial and final walk-through. I was skeptical that things would be fixed in that time, but it was. It is important to note that all findings were cosmetic, and nothing major. I'm not a handyman, so I wouldn't be able to tell if something major was wrong anyway.

On the day of closing, everything went smooth and we purchased the home. There are still some things that need to be fixed (there is a dent in the garage door), but nothing major. The only thing that I noticed is that on my kitchen island, under the granite countertop, the builder did not install a piece of molding. Purely cosmetic, but still. The overall process went smooth.

**IMPORTANT**. If you take one thing from this review, take this. I hired my own inspector (cost about $300) to inspect the entire home for anything that is wrong. Even though it is a new home, you never know what might be wrong so hire a professional to look at the home for you. Don't let anyone tell you not to have an inspection simply because the home is new -- my inspector DID find some discrepancies.

Also, FINAL IMPORTANT NOTE. Hire a real estate agent. They are your advocate and when things aren't going your way, it is good to have someone fighting on your side. DR Horton paid my real estate agent's fees, I think this is something they regularly do. The inspection that I paid for and my real estate agent were my two biggest reliefs when it came to this process. I used the VA loan because I am a veteran. I say this because I'm not sure if this affected any portion of my home-buying process differently than someone else.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Joel. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton and thank you for your service. We hope that you enjoy your new home for many years.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I read reviews prior to doing a DR Horton purchase as well did my own research by using my experience with them. I had zero issues as well received prompt attention to anything that has happened since my purchase within this 1st year. The only issue was a blown out circuit breaker for my garbage disposal. I would recommend them and doing your own homework rather than listen to the one-sided views of some of the reviewers. You do your research and consider what square footage your receiving for the price you pay. Make sure your home is one that wasn’t build on backfill, my home was build on dugout ground we have had zero settlement cracks cement or walls. Let’s see how year 2 goes. God bless the USMC AND AMERICA as well keep AMERICA moving in the MAGA agenda. VOTE FOR AMERICA AND VOTE TRUMP 2020.

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you for your comments Dan, and thank you for your service.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I purchased a DR Horton Express home in August 2017. As with any home, new or old, there are always issues found during walkthrough, inspection, and after having lived in the home several months. Although there were several issues, the customer service representative and building representative made certain all of my issues were addressed and fixed and answered all of my questions. When more homes were sold and customer solutions became extremely busy, it took longer for someone to get back to me and longer to get contractors to the home to fix the problem; however, they did eventually fix everything.

I sent my 1-year list to them, and the building representative addressed all my concerns. The building representative and customer solutions representative get a 5-star rating. The 4-star review overall is because the paint is construction grade (I had to repaint, but on plus side painted the colors I wanted) and because towel racks and toilet tissue holders were not included (installed myself); however, I chose what I wanted while also having ceiling fans installed. Overall, very positive experience. Awesome neighbors too!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Lin! Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your home.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had a water leak; the result of a trade using a nail gun and hitting a water pipe for the air conditioning. As a result the ceiling fell in my laundry room and had a flood in the kitchen and office. DR Horton came immediately to fix the leak and completed all the drywall and painting from the damage in a very short amount of time. They did everything they promised and were very aggressive in getting everything done quickly and properly. I was very impressed with their prompt and professional service. They did a great job! Thank you DR Horton!!!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi John - Thank you for sharing your story. We're happy to restore your home and provide you with excellent customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 16, 2019

My wife and I purchased a new home from DR Horton in 2016 in Duncan, SC and we have had more than our share of construction issues and warranty issues. But I'm not here to talk about those today. I'm here to talk about the home that my wife's mother and brother purchased in Boiling Springs, SC last year (yes, we encouraged them to buy it so that they would be closer to us).

They submitted a warranty claim for their sprinkler system and the second floor bathroom floor on May 2nd of this year. They are still waiting to have these issues resolved. Devin, the warranty guru says that DR Horton doesn't hire enough contractors to service all of the claims. He says, "We'll get to it. We're not going anywhere". He says that someone will be out next week, but no one ever shows up. Their lawn is burning up (it is SC in the summer, after all). My wife and I experienced the same types of delays with our home as well, but to mess with a 90 year old woman like this is totally unacceptable. If you are looking to buy a new home and you do not possess the patience of Job, my advice is DO NOT BUY A DR HORTON HOME.

DR Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2019

Get all the things you need done prior to closing because after closing it nothing but lies and BS and that’s if you can even get a response. Bought 2 months ago and have been blown off by the sales dept, construction manager and someone at the main office.

Original review: July 14, 2019

Been in our new home going on 4 years. After last inspection we had taped what needed fixed. Only thing done was removal of tape. When brought to their attention we were assured that it would be taken care of. Never heard from them again. On 3rd year our central heat and air unit went out had problems also with hot water heater. Also have countertop in bathroom that had chips in it that was covered up. CHEAP MADE homes with large prices.

Original review: July 14, 2019

We went to purchase a home and put down a deposit to hold the property. We had a change of heart & the agent started avoiding us and has yet to contact us back, we will be look into legal actions asap.

DR Horton Homes response

Original review: July 12, 2019

I am very displeased with the level of customer service provided me regarding my roof. I purchased a new home in Arlington, Texas in 2015. About 6 months after my warranty expired, I began to have roof leaks. I was told "We are sorry you are experiencing that" and nothing could be done through D.R. Horton. In the recent wind storms, large sections of my roof shingles started coming off. My insurance company is replacing the entire roof. Of course I am out of pocket the deductible, and along with that, the higher insurance rates that are coming.

I had two separate roofers, along with the adjuster tell me that it was the poorest roof install they had seen. Every other shingle was not even nailed down. I wanted to let you know that "We are sorry" isn't good enough. I realize I will never see a dime from your company, because you don't stand behind your work or the work of your subcontractors. I have come to grips with that. What I am going to do, is spend a significant amount of my time telling my story every place I can. As a regular part of my day, everyday, I have a goal of finding 5 places were I can post my experience with D.R. Horton. It is just ridiculous that I would have to replace an entire new roof after 4 years of home ownership. Chris

Original review: July 10, 2019

I bought a house at ** newly built. The Air Conditioning unit went out due to a leak from a defective unit. We (who received a defective unit) must pay for labor costs for a bad unit. This is unfair but I let others know that a defective air Conditioning unit will cost the homeowner money (house is newly in 2017). So, to be fair to new owners I I will spread the word everywhere homeowners may buy D.R. Horton Homes. Thank you for your time. Terry **. (Mary ** spouse).

Original review: July 10, 2019

I would not recommend purchasing a DR Horton home. I moved in at the end of Oct. 2018. The garage floor has cracks running all through it. The divider grooves are all chipping away. The front porch also is cracked and when it rains, you can see the wetness crawling up the crack. The driveway has stains and footprints in it. The concrete guy came yesterday to assess. He looked like he was 15. He told me he could fill the cracks. Said the porch really needed filling and would be resurfaced to look new. He said he was waiting for some other workers to bring supplies. When I looked out a short time later, he and his truck were gone. In an hour or so I got an email that said the cracks had to be 1/4 of an inch to be covered under warranty.

So... now that I have nearly emptied the garage in 100+ degree heat, I can assume he’s gone for good and I’m left with a horrid looking cement job. As time goes on, the cracks will get bigger and the cement will chip away. Then I’m stuck with it because they hire people that don’t give a hoot. Thanks a lot. As a realtor, I will advise clients NOT to purchase here. And to the young kid who snuck off without a word.... You are very unprofessional.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2019

Updated on 07/09/2019: In response to DR Horton's follow up stating that my email was easily threatening, I figured I would post my email and easily explain it in it's FULL context, here it is: As usual I've submitted claims and received calls saying people would be out, but guess what? Nothing, no one showed, and no on answered my emails, like I'm an ** ! So, another freaking claim goes in! My microwave was installed improperly and I sliced my finger wide open, not that anyone there cares. So here's another one, and another will begin to follow every day until I'm answered, and I don't care how busy you are, I've been hearing that ** for months.

Jackie said a rep from DR Horton would be out July 1st and I waited like an ** all day and no one showed. Every day I will submit claims and bog you down. Your customer service is absolutely horrendous and I've been telling every realtor I cannot to suggest DR Horton cause you have to scream and yell to get any out to fix anything! Another few emails will go in then I'll come up to Tampa and we'll straighten all this ** out, I just want some documentation before we all meet! Now, if you read the entire email, it's clear I'm stating my frustration with no responses from any DR Horton employee as well as appointments going missed and without calls.

So, in reading my email, it's purpose was to show that if no one is going to respond or communicate with me, then yes, of course I'm going to come up to the office in Tampa and get to the bottom of it! Who wouldn't? DR Horton should look into why no one was responding to me, at all, someone up there should be doing their job! I want everyone to know the absolute frustration Horton caused me to have to lash out in an email like that, hence the horrible rating. Horton should be inquiring as to why no one was responding to me, following up with me, treating me like a customer who bought a half million dollar home! No they didn't, but they were quick to interpret my email as such a serious threat that it required legal and possible law enforcement action! Un-Real... There will be other homes in our future, but not by Horton, and I write this to warn others!

Original Review: Purchased our home from DR Horton in June 2018. Numerous warranty issues, but so many were put in and just ignored. No response, no email, nothing. Upon numerous complaints finally was answered and appointments set up. Then not everyone showed up, no calls, no nothing. More emails, and no responses, no emails, nothing. Eventually I emailed saying I was coming up in person to the Tampa office so then I could straighten out all these problems, then I was contacted immediately but not to fix anything but to be told of possible legal action for threatening their office and employees! No kidding. I never ever threatened any kind of violence of any sort but that's what DR Horton finally reached out to say. They scheduled more people to come out but we'll see.

Not enough space here to really tell you all how long this took place and how I was treated, and that was buying a half million dollar home! I am writing this to inform others to be real careful buying from Horton. I would highly suggest to not buy any home from him. They are built fast and cheap, no pride in any of the work, cheapest labor and tons of missed and cheap work done. Trust me, really, do not buy a Horton home. You will regret it. They look nice and present themselves well but please trust me on this, you will buy a lemon. Without hesitation I would buy from any other, ANY other builder before Horton in the future. Buyers beware out there.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Anthony. I'm sorry you feel this way. Having read the Contact Us form you submitted to D.R. Horton on 6/13 4:37PM Central Time there were comments that were easily interpreted as threatening. While that may not have been your intent, that is how it was perceived and we take the safety of our employees very seriously. Our team in Tampa is working with you to bring your warranty issues to resolution. If you have any further concerns, please Contact Us again.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Our tile-roofed one-story with bonus room upstairs house had one roof leak over the den fixed when under warranty at 9 months old. Now with warranty expired, another leak nearby, this one worse, is occurring just 40 days after warranty expiration.

Original review: July 7, 2019

My wife and I purchased a home from DR Horton in June of 2018 and have had several issues we have been trying to get resolved since we purchased the home. We have hot walls on the second story in the attic that have no insulation. We contacted the builder a number of times to get it resolved and a year later and the walls are still not insulated. Our HVAC unit has not worked properly since the purchase of the home. We have disconnected and crushed vents and the a/c is pumping into the attic.

After several attempts to get it repaired over the last year we still have no resolve and now the a/c is out completely. We were promised a replacement tree that was dead by the builder that still hasn't been replaced. Our stairs to the second floor are sagging and there are signs the stairs' integrity is failing. We have numerous sheetrock issues that still have not been fixed that were taped off to be repaired before the purchase. We have a bathroom sink not attached to the bathroom countertop. We have rebar poking up on the driveway that has still not been replaced and the list goes on. DR Horton does not honor their contractual Warranty obligations and we are seriously considering filing a lawsuit.

With all the reviews we've read it looks as though we may not be alone. We plan on giving DR Horton one last opportunity to fulfill their contractual obligations before filing suit and should they choose not to honor their piss poor build we will be contacting our attorney. If you are looking to purchase a new home we would highly recommend finding someone other than DR. Horton. We are also going to reach out to David Auld - CEO, Michael Murray - EVP, COO and Bill Wheat - CFO directly.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Carrie - we received the email you sent to our Social Media team and have escalated your concern to our Fort Worth office for their action.

Original review: July 6, 2019

So me and my husband started this process in October 2018. This is our first time purchasing and building a house. First thing was we found a house that we wanted (Hampton **), but was told that the house couldn’t be built in the community. So we were shown another house that we fell in love with (Condor **). My husband and myself sat down with the sales manager and she informed us that since we didn’t get the house that we wanted at first she would provide us with built-ins in the kitchen and a bathroom in one of the bedrooms upstairs. We picked our lot and gave our earnest money. Mind you this was a pre-sell and we were the first people to start.

In December we went to the design center to pick out cabinets, floors, etc. Months went by not hearing from the sales manager. Me and husband would go to the lot that we purchased and noticed that nothing was happening, but other houses DR Horton homes were being built. At times when trying to contact the sales manager she would not return calls immediately. We have had to just walk into her office and surprise her to try and get updates. We were told that our house would be ready in June. We meet with the builder for the RED LINE in April. In talking to him about the blueprints we started talking about the kitchen and the built-ins and the builder advised us that it was not in the contract along with the 3rd bathroom in one of the bedrooms on the second floor that the sales manager had told us we will be getting.

Long story short, it is now July and I’m still not in my house. I still don’t have my built-ins, I don’t get updates on a daily or weekly basis of what is going on like I was told that we would be. And it looks like they started applying the brick and stone and just stopped. I wish I can show you a picture. Still no updates by sales manager or builder. My husband and I had to move our family out of our rental going off a promise that our home was going to be done in June that was untrue as well as my built-ins and bathroom. Something needs to be done.

Original review: July 4, 2019

If I could give a zero I would. I purchased this home three months after my husband's untimely death hoping since it was new I would be able to settle in quickly without any problems. The workmanship is awful! The drywall wasn't taped and had to be redone from the ceilings down. Chipped and cracked tiles everywhere. I'm here 10 months and have shoved most of my belongings into two rooms so they don't ruin my belongings while they're doing the warranty work. The drywall guys have been here once and still missed all kinds of screws and nails that are popping from the ceiling. The tile guy chipped tiles taking the chipped tiles out.

I'm a wreck worried about the mess the paint guys are going to make and I’m sure they will. My pavers in my driveway, walkway, and lanai are sinking. The screens don't fit and therefore I can't open my windows or bugs get in. Please save yourself the hassle and don't buy from this builder. I'm heartbroken and out of money because of all the money I've had to put into this home. I need to go back to work but have found dealing with them to be a full time job. It's sad and very wrong!

Original review: July 3, 2019

Do not buy from them. They are the worst company, from the sales aspect to the warranty aspect. They shift blame to others constantly. It took a year to finish my warranty claim. Paul and Warren in CLT were not helpful at all. They shifted the blame to others and never admitted fault. If they say they cannot get you compensation, they are lying. They will pay you for any issues, you just have to push the right buttons. If I could give 0 starts I would.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Several warranty problems. Electrical circuitry, HVAC, microwave, masonry cracks, now garage door inoperable and no way to contact. The warranty company is typically unavailable and phones never ever answered. Worst cleaning of construction debris with over 30 hours of work by wife and I to attempt to remedy. Dryer vent in attic crushed and caused new $600 dryer to overheat. Don't buy from HORTON.

Original review: July 2, 2019

DR Horton is using carrier HVAC units in their new construction. Our first unit compressor is already blown (I mean exploded) at just over 5 years. Part warranties through carrier but no labor and $1300 to install and clean up oil from exploded compressor. Carrier is a terrible company with terrible customer service. Beware DR Horton!!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 1, 2019

Our tile in our home started cracking and making sticky sounds when you walk over it. After pros coming in and doing tests, it was shoddy installation. But guess what? We have gotten the total runaround from DR Horton and their subcontractor. My foyer is a mess and I have had to embarrassingly purchase a huge rug to put over the broken tile to try to hide the mess - now this is since Thanksgiving 2018. DR Horton schedules the repair, the contractor is a no-show or full of excuses. They are refusing to fix all of the loose tile - approximately 17 of them on the first floor, not including the busted tiles, and have given us the shaft on the tile in the foyer over and over. Buyer beware! They get you to the point that you need to hire an attorney which, as far as I'm concerned is our next step. The tiles were installed too close to the walls making them buckle up and crack. In the meantime, more tile is cracking.

Andrew ** with the Tampa office doesn't answer his phone or return calls (this is the second person assigned to our claim). Just think - 8 months of busted tile in the front foyer/entryway and nothing has been done. Just excuse after excuse. One time we took off work because the tile guy was supposed to come and he was a no show. Said DR Horton didn't pay them to do it. Now they're paid, supposedly, and they're saying the "tile they ordered" came in and is broken. And they just now figured that out? We're not stupid, DR Horton. They've had months and months to get the tile. Come on DR Horton. This is BS. We've missed many days of work with these so-called "scheduled appointments" for repairs only to get no-shows.

Original review: June 30, 2019

If you're looking to buy a new home in Westshore’s, “You come to the wrong community”. I have documented and reported an excess of 200+ deficiencies of items that needed to be repaired in my house within the first year. The quality of workmanship is substandard. D.R. HORTON does not have a Quality Assurance/Quality Control program when I moved here in May 2018. As of April 2019, during my 1 year walk through I still had about 52 items that need to be repaired. My advice to anyone looking to buy a new home in this community is to stay away from this builder D.R. HORTON, other home owners in this community have told me they would never buy again from this builder. Just Google D.R. HORTON forum and read the reviews. Buyers Beware!

Original review: June 30, 2019

I purchase my home November 2019, at the end of the month and there was some issues but we was guarantee that the issues would be taking care of. Now a year later nothing has been done. First, they took the left over bricks (there's answer now is that once you closed that's it for your bricks). Second, the driveway has a couple cracks, again this would be taking care of. YEAH right, same old answer. Now it should have been done at before closing. If you purchase a home from DR Horton make sure you get ALL and I mean ALL of your problem taking care before you close. If not then you will have to listen to all the promises and lies.

Original review: June 28, 2019

1st Floor installed and NOT acclimated to the temperature of the home ALL molding separated. SECOND floor installed should last more than 5 years - manufactured by SHAW and installed by Contractor, Classic Floors and NO VAPOR barrier between concrete and laminate. Sent registered letter to president of DR Horton and not even given the courtesy of a phone call or response. Very SAD NO will take responsibility - as estimates to replace is $8,000. Very DISAPPOINTING on how NO ONE taking any ACTION!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 20, 2019

We purchased from DR Horton in Lithia Springs, Ga and just reached one year in our home. Shortly after moving in we noticed a wet spot on the plywood in the basement just under the AC unit. We informed the warranty department and sent pictures and were assured someone would come out. On our 6 month walk through we showed the foreman the spot and we were once again assured someone would come out. Our 11 month walk through was last month and again...still no one has come to fix it. We are now ready to have our basement finished and the contractor looked at the spot and informed us that not only do we have a leak, but black mold and a foundation issue. The repair guys were supposed to come this week, but no one showed but painters. We can't get a response to calls or texts. This is not only frustrating, but now a health issue. DR Horton - do better.

DR Horton Homes response

Original review: June 19, 2019

I closed on my brand new home in Spring Hill Florida on February 8, 2019. During the final walk-through, a settlement crack was noted in the stucco on the left side of my home. The builder assured me it would be fixed before I returned from closing. When I returned later that day, the crack appeared repaired. It was not. It was simply painted over. On May 13, 2019, I came home following a very typical heavy rain in Florida and my garage wall was leaking water. The “settlement crack” was leaking. I submitted a warranty claim and an inspection wasn’t scheduled until May 29, 2019.

Upon that inspection, 6 stucco cracks and 2 holes were found on the left side of my home. It continues to rain and they continue to leak. I asked DR Horton to expedite the repair to avoid further damage. The warranty department scheduled my repair for 6/19/19. It has rained almost every day and my house keeps leaking. On 6/19/19, the contractor called to tell me that DR Horton failed to submit a work order until that morning and they won’t be able to fix the repair until 6/24/19. It continues to rain and my house continues to leak. I was lied to by the builder. The house still leaks. No one at DR Horton will answer an email or return a call. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: June 18, 2019

When we decided to purchase a new townhouse at the West Lake subdivision we were extremely excited. Our Sales Associate Dana is fantastic. The lot we picked had fantastic views but unfortunately, that is about where the excitement ends. The follow up and response time leave a bit to be desired. The one year warranty is definitely needed to possibly fix the sub par work. We closed and moved in February 2019 which worked out well for us. Being winter, I was able to spot one of our first issues with our new home. My wife had parked her car in the garage after some snow. Once the snow started melting I quickly noticed the water running towards the foundation of our house. I noticed that the foundation side of the garage floor had sank a few inches.

After waiting for some time, they finally removed the sloped concrete and re-poured new concrete. They promised to come back and power wash both our driveway and garage floor as there was a lot of concrete residue on both. However, we had to make several phone calls to make this happen and the driveway was not power washed. I am sure it will look fine when I have it sealed. Two days after closing on our house we had appliances delivered and one of the technicians pointed out that there were screws missing from a door hinge. I took a look and sure enough there were. On top of that I decided to look closely at the door and noticed it did not close properly. There was quite the blast of cold air coming through the gap in the door. I also noticed one of the hinges was not even installed correctly.

After three tries to repair the door it is a little better but still not correct. The floor installers did a terrible job with gluing the floor at the seams. There are all kinds of bumps, hills and valleys. Curious about what they did to clean before hand and what kind of sub-floor they used. In addition, there is residue which we are unable to remove. Just feels so amateur, especially for a $300,000+ home. Within the first few days we went to install a new dining room fixture and found out that the electricians did not install the box in the center of the room/sliding doors. The measurement was off by approximately 5 inches. I had to purchase a swag light so it would not look ridiculous when viewing from the kitchen or hallway. Another electrical issue is that the three switch box by the front door which includes the porch, entry and hall lights is a 1/4" out of level. I am unable to even cheat and get the cover to look somewhat level.

While I am addressing electrical issues, one of our led puck lights already went bad. The frustrating part is when I removed the fixture, the ground wire was not attached to anything. It was stripped on the end and just hanging there. It is not too hard to just cut the wire or cap it with a wire nut. I am an elevator mechanic who takes pride in my work and would never leave any of my jobs until it was up to professional standards. When we spend the amount of money we did on this house, we had the expectation to be acceptable. We didn't expect perfection, just expected that there would have been a bit more sense of pride in the workmanship. The only saving grace is the views we have. We will have to see how the rest of our one year warranty goes with the sub par construction.

Finally, DR Horton really needs to strive for better communication skills. Believe it or not, we are pretty laid back folks. The lack of follow up whether it was phone or email was beyond frustrating. Customer issues need to be addressed, even if it's just to tell us that the problem is being addressed as well as a time frame expectation. Not getting back to customers is a sure way to piss them off and totally unnecessary.

Original review: June 18, 2019

DO NOT BUY from this company! We purchased our house in December of 2018. Ever since we have moved in it’s been nothing but a headache and promises to fix things “tomorrow” and you never hear or see anyone. And if they do happen to send someone out they're rude and tell you that “If I fix your ceiling it’s going to be a huge hassle and it’s going to make the problem more pronounced." Are you serious. I paid over 200 thousand dollars for my house and it has ceilings that look like they're falling down, huge lines in the ceiling which the painter said "It’s the drywall’s guys fault" and vise versa.

Our carpet looks like it came out of 30 year old trailer “which they are paying to replace it with the same carpet” and RiteRug came out and said “Well this isn’t going to fix your problem because this is the same carpet and it’s going to do the same thing. It’s just going to Mat back down because it’s very very cheap carpet.” WOW. The cheapest carpet on the market in a $200,000 plus house.... Our tub is cracked all the way around it and when you step in it all it does is crack like it’s going to fall through. Our backyard is a disaster and we keep getting the run around on that too. Our whole neighborhood is seeking out legal means of resolving these issues and at first I wasn’t going to join them but now I can definitely see why their suing. If I could I would give this house back to DR Horton or ask the owner if he would put his family in it to live....Sorry company and the worst company to ever build houses.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Do not buy a home from this company! They will refer to you a lender who will try to rip you off! The day we were handed the keys the home was not completed. Home was not in move-in condition. They got rid of 2 previous supervisors and now we are on the 3rd. They had to repair numerous issues with the home. We are still asking them to repair some things with the home and have yet to get any results. The second shoe dropped when the installation of the washing machine (on the 3rd. level) was not properly done, and has caused huge water damage throughout the house because the hose popped out of the wall while the machine was still running! To say we are EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED is an understatement!

Original review: June 16, 2019

I purchased my DR Horton Express home in October of 2018. It started out as a bad experience since I was denied by their preferred lender DHI, I qualified with my lender and set a closing date within 2 weeks. I ended up fighting with the sales manager for the credit towards closing fees. I should have walked away right then! I have had multiple issues with the drywall and doors on the second story. It took MONTHS for the warranty department to contact me and send out someone to fix the separating drywall throughout our upstairs rooms. 3 months later my bedroom door still does not close completely. I've spoken to managers and taken off 3 days unpaid to have these issues fixed. The contracted companies come out to tell me they cannot fix the door or they just dont show up at all.

Now that DR Horton has turned the community over to the residents we have found out that they were paying 51% of the HOA dues each month to sell these homes. Our HOA fees are increasing by $400 per quarter due to the financial state we have been left in. We are now having to pay $1200 per quarter to cover the fees! No one would have qualified with that amount in HOA dues. This seems to be a common trend with DR Horton, I hope no one ever has to go through this. Multiple homes will be foreclosed in this brand new neighborhood thanks to the lies the sales reps told us and the blind fold DR Horton created.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information