1.45/5

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

775 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

We have had several issues with workmanship that have gone unanswered. 1 year walk through repair was back to original appearance 2 months later. Downspout left off neighbor's home (repaired within 1 year), neglected to repair our yard which was washed out due to no downspout. Home is 3 years old, exterior paint is coming off home, along with siding and underlayment. Placed several complaints with DR Horton, only response is “it is after your 1 year warranty”. DO NOT buy home from this builder, can’t understand how they are “America’s Builder” when they constantly scam the American home buyer and provide cheap work that they don’t stand behind! 1 star review is generous. I do not know how the government still lets them hold a builder's license.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We purchased a home in the Amelia Riverwalk neighborhood. The home was originally scheduled to be completed in January and we did not close until April. We should have waited until the house was properly completed rather than take DR Horton assurances that they would fix the walkthrough issues before closing. Total of 59 major defects including interior painting (had to paint the inside three times to get a uniform color), plumbing not completed, leaking toilets, wiring incomplete, electrical not functioning, trim not complete, ceramic tile floor covered in paint and grout haze and the list goes on. We had to follow up with the superintendent every day to get warranty items and they didn’t finish the list in the 90-day initial warranty period. After 90 days the warranty came under a different group within DR Horton. Remaining defects included:

1. Quartz kitchen island top is scratched from installation on right left-hand corner. 2. Master bathroom mirror frames (2) damaged need to be replaced. 3. Range hood was dented on installation. 4. Inside of a kitchen drawer, veneer peeling call. 5. Installation nick in the sliding glass door. 6. Electrical outlets adjacent to cook top protrude from wall. 7. Shower not draining properly. 8. Uneven heating and cooling system for distribution of air. 9. Rusting hinges on door from bathroom to lanai. 10. Crown molding over cooktop unacceptable. 11. Hot water takes a long time to reach the master bath, over 15 minutes, water heater has been adjusted, need a circulation pump installed on hot water heater. 12. Seams in siding have separated and need to be repaired.

Based on conversations with other owners these are shared issues in many cases. DR Horton does not treat each homeowner equally, offering solutions to some and saying other cases that that is the way it is. If you want to buy a new home with minimal issues when you close and to be treated as a valued customer, look elsewhere.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Raymond. Your comments have been shared with the management team in Jacksonville for their review and action.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My family decided to purchase a house in the Avalon Run Development in Maple Grove MN. We spent over 3 months meeting with different builders in the area but finally decided on DR Horton mainly due to the property/Location. The long and the short of it is after we signed on the dotted line, we found many roadblocks. During our design center meetings we asked for multiple custom quotes. All request were denied. Meaning we could not get them to even give us a quote. Later we found out that other families were able to get the quotes we had requested. After completing our design center we were told to sit back and enjoy the process. Yet the process didn't start out very well. We were told and provided documentation that gave us a timeline of events we could expect. Over a month after the process started we found out that our house was over a month late getting to the city for permit.

Repeatedly we questioned the sales rep as to the progress and repeatedly we got no answer. Finally I called the city myself and found out when the drawings had been dropped off. Shortly after our pre-construction meeting we started to believe that DR Horton had violated the resolution with the city that stated no house within a 6 lot space could be the same model and style/elevation. We questioned the sales person and was told that it was not the same model and style and that it was a completely different model. However, once they got the outside walls up we found it was the identical house. We again contacted the salesperson. We were told that there was an exception to the resolution that allowed the builder to build the identical house right next door. Furthermore, in the response email we received the sales person indicated she knew we would be upset with the next door lot having the identical house but she sold it anyways.

I went directly to the city. The city agreed with us and informed the builder that they were in violation of the resolution. The only response we got was an email stating that the salesperson had questioned other DR Horton employees and they felt the resolution included the exception. If one of my employees made that comment I would be furious. That would mean none of them understand the guidelines or have the mental wherewithal to read and understand. The builder told the city repeatedly that we along with our future neighbor would work with the builder to change the neighbors house to ensure all parties were in agreement with the changes. We were not contacted once by the builder. We only found out that the changes to the neighbors house had been submitted to the city when the city contacted us to see how we felt the process went since this was the first instance in 12 years or this type of violation occurring.

At this point, the builder had never once called to even say they were sorry for the issue. Never, not once. Or conversely called and thanked me for bringing up the issue as soon as I did, because if the city would have found the issue later in the process it would have cost the builder much more. Upon contacting the regional sales manager we finally received an apology however we were basically told that we had to just accept the changes being made to our neighbors house. At this point we started to realize that we had been lied to in regards to changes we requested months beforehand. As an example, my wife wanted to upgrade our kitchen to include the option that included a double oven and a cooktop. The sales person told us we could not do a change order as all the appliances were ordered. Yet, a month and a half later we got a construction schedule update that stated appliances were to be purchased that week.

Through multiple conversations we realized we missed out on a lot of things due to the salesperson. At one point we had been instructed that we could walk away from the house by DR Horton employees because we did not like how things have been handled. Most recently, my wife and I realized that the backsplash we ordered is just too dark. Literally a dozen tiles had been put up when we asked them to stop because we hated it. We informed the builder we would have put in a backsplash after we moved in a few weeks because we did not want to push the closing date. We were told by the job sup that he would work on the financial side of things. Understanding business we assumed we would not get a full refund, but we found out they would not refund any money. Even though 2 days of labor were not required and only one pack of material was opened, we would either have to have them install the backsplash or eat the entire cost.

In the same email where we were informed of not getting a refund we were asked not to visit the house until our final walkthrough in a few weeks. We are spending over a half million on this house and we want everything to be right so we are happy and they ask us to stay away. I really am baffled how the salesperson still has a job. We have documented lies from said person, and the cost of changing the neighbors house is not cheap. Not to mention how unethical it was to sell a house next to us when she willing admitted she know we would be upset. She should have been representing us as well as the other buyer.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Billy - we have forwarded your comments to our Minnesota management team for their review and consideration.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We purchased a DR Horton Express home in Casa Grande in May 2017. Along came the monsoons and rain and our backyard flooded, we actually had water ankle deep. I contacted warranty and the Representative that finally contacted me refused to work within my schedule to have someone come and "look" at the problem, not fix it just look at it. I was told I had to work around their subcontractors schedule - meaning I had to take time off work during the week and sit around and wait for them to show up.

Now fast forward to October 2018, we have had some fairly serious rainstorms and once again my yard flooded, the drainage blocks the builder installed when setting the wall are lower in the backyard than the front area where the water is supposed to drain. I have made 2 requests so far to have someone contact me and to date only an automated response that my request has been received. Basically once you sign on the dotted line it is your problem.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Kimberley - so we can assist you please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information. PL

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

If you're looking to buy a home DO NOT buy a DR Horton home. They are built like crap. I bought a brand new home in 2016. The plumbing is screwed up something awful. Toilets clog even with nothing but water in them, and sewage backs up to both showers. Running the sink causes the same backup, and when I do, it sounds like there are fish in the toilet. The kitchen sink and the sprinklers have never had cold water, no matter how long I run them. The sprinkler pipes were put in wrong, and they do not work properly. The community was sold as a "Gated Community" and there is a gate, ON ONE SIDE. The other side is completely open. I am so sorry that I bought this home. The horror stories that I hear from other owners are just as bad, or worse. The builder has the attitude of "tough chit, it's yours now". I would give it no stars, but then the review wouldn't post.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Very cheaply made considering prices are close to half million and more. Some lots are so small you cannot even put a pool on the property. They give Electrolux Appliances (see the many complaints about their refrigerators, dishwashers, and ranges. Garbage). Their upgrades they offer are standard with many other builders in the valley. None of their models offers powder rooms on first floor. You must use bathrooms for bedrooms. In some models (don’t know if it is all of them) the air conditioners are put outside back window, practically in your backyard. This builder has so many complaints nationwide it is scary. I think they are skimping on this development because of the astronomical price they paid for the land. Dr Horton, it’s time to repair your poor image, not validate it.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I purchased a townhome in Murrells Inlet. Several months after closing, had 2 large water stains on upstairs ceiling. Going into the attic, found clear indications water was from chimney pipe. Horton sent a roofer, who said he sealed a seam on the chimney outside. About a year later, water stains in the same spot. Horton sent out another roofer, who didn't even go on the roof. He went into the attic and said water was from condensation in the pipe, not from a leak. I contacted the HVAC company that did the furnace/AC and piping to the chimney.

He advised the system we have doesn't cause condensation, and that he had already been to several homes in the development, each time only to find it was a roofing problem.He requested copies of the pictures the roofers had taken on their visits to help confirm. We have not had any luck getting the roofers or the Horton supervisor to provide those pictures, nor are they returning repeated calls at this point. Getting tired of going to the attic to empty the container I have to keep under the elbow. I'm not in the house full time yet, bought new construction for my planned retirement, thinking (in error) that roof, HVAC, appliances would be good for a number of years!

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Daniel. Please ensure you have completed a warranty request at http://www.drhorton.com/Warranty/New. You may also email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can further assist you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I purchased a home built by DR Horton. It was described and sold as a 2 car garage. It does not fit 2 cars because they didnt realize they had to install stairs because the house is elevated. Mine is the first “Forrester” model in the development. In Forrester homes built after mine, they extended the garage to accommodate the required stairs. DR Horton has adjusted the stairs 3 times but cars still don't fit. Now they keep promising their next design will work but I havent seen anything. It has been 11 months. There are many other errors made to my house as well as all my neighbors, 15-20 of them with unsatisfactory workmanship. Don't buy DR Horton. You will be sorry.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

DR Horton is the worst builder. They lie and cut corners to build homes in volume completely lacking in quality workmanship. These homes are built poorly with cheap materials. The warranty they supposedly honor for 10 years is an absolute LIE! They will do anything and everything in their power to place blame on you and not complete the work. The excuses from the customer service people and the building manager has to be the most insulting and ridiculous responses I have ever encountered. Zero accountability with all the electrical, structural and plumbing issues that continue to arise. How DR Horton is still in business is beyond me. Multiple class action lawsuits have been filed against the company for the exact issues listed. Purchasing a home from them was the absolute worst mistake myself and my fellow neighbors have made. Please adhere to the reviews and take them seriously.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Kristen. Your warranty request was received this morning and is being processed. Thank you for visiting our website at http://www.drhorton.com/Warranty/New.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Where shall I begin. DR Horton hires unethical agents which they train them to lie. I was told that our small subdivision of 35 homes will have a parameter fence installed since we back up to other homes, that was a lie. We were never advised that the subdivision sits in the center of 3 sewage plants with a forced air pipe with release valves sits right outside the subdivision so every night we have a wonderful smell of raw sewage and feces that fills the air.

Their warranty repairs are subpar, they do patchwork and sloppy paint jobs. Tiling in bathroom floor had to be replaced twice as the floor became loose, butter falling off of house, no street signs in our subdivision even after 1 yr and 3 months of living here although the last house is being built. Ductwork was not connected to air vents in kitchen and dining room, holes left in walls covered up by mirrors, this was a new home purchase. This took away from what should have been a happy time instead of being plagued with these issues. Wish I never purchased here.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

DR Horton has a reputation for selling cheaper homes. However, for $300,000 for an 1800 sq ft home in the ghetto of Vancouver, WA, this home is extremely cheap. The flooring is already wearing after only living here for 4 months. You can tell that quality of the build is not a matter they pride themselves on, they pride themselves on how fast they can construct a house. The fence in the backyard was obviously the cheapest they could find, and some of the panels were nailed down on top of each other. Even down to the lightbulbs, a number of the bulbs have burnt out after only 4 months. The quality of the architecture is subpar, not much thought went into the actual home itself.

DR Horton constructs the home and cuts as many corners as possible to get you to buy. I sincerely regret my DR Horton purchase and will never be buying from them in the future. And I advise anyone that is looking at a DR Horton home, take a very close look at the materials they're using in your new build. They're a "production builder" and they make that known. There is very little customization, and they wish to charge for things like window screens, a backyard fence, an AC unit, and they don't offer much more in regards to upgrades.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Our experience with DR Horton warranty service is nightmare and desperate. The house was built three years ago and there was heavy rain during that time. The subfloor on the second floor was exposed to the rain and delaminated, flacked, swelling. They still installed the carpet on the subfloor and delivered the house to us. We didn't know there was any defect when we got the house. However, our tenants felt the whole floor was very soft and bent and we reported it to the DR Horton. Their customer service didn't admitted it at the beginning. But our tenant have a lot experience in the construction and is a supervisor/director who managed several hundred million construction projects. He strongly believed the subfloor had defects and asked us to have Builder remove the carpet after they moved out. In the beginning, they only agree to replace several piece of subfloor.

After being inspected by a third party inspector, there were 25% of subfloor need to be replaced. It turned out almost 80% of subfloor on the master bed room need to be replaced. But the builder still insisted on not to taking out the tile in the bathrooms and laundry to replace the subfloor underneath because they didn't feel the issue because there is a layer of cement backer board. And they didn't inspect the landing area too since they didn't feel there was any issue there.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My experience with DR Horton has been horrible. I was lied to and basically bullied into buying my home. When I attempted to resolve the biggest issue DR Horton was unwilling to fix it and I had to settle for a subpar alternative in a home I hate. Additionally, they placed a street light at the edge of my that I did not mind, the other issues with my home were worse. Rather than fixing my problem they ripped out the street (because their president thought it was unsightly) light and left my driveway in shambles. I have also had electric and plumbing issues that were not addressed because their warranty department is useless. I hate coming home every night and seeing the front of this ugly home. I would sell it but I am afraid I will lose thousands of dollars. Purchasing a DR Horton homes was the biggest mistake of my life.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Jennifer - please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information so we can properly review your concerns and ensure they are resolved appropriately.

Thank you for updating your rating. We hope you enjoy your home for many years.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I purchased a DR Horton Express home in August 2017. As with any home, new or old, there are always issues found during walkthrough, inspection, and after having lived in the home several months. Although there were several issues, the customer service representative and building representative made certain all of my issues were addressed and fixed and answered all of my questions. When more homes were sold and customer solutions became extremely busy, it took longer for someone to get back to me and longer to get contractors to the home to fix the problem; however, they did eventually fix everything.

I sent my 1-year list to them, and the building representative addressed all my concerns. The building representative and customer solutions representative get a 5-star rating. The 4-star review overall is because the paint is construction grade (I had to repaint, but on plus side painted the colors I wanted) and because towel racks and toilet tissue holders were not included (installed myself); however, I chose what I wanted while also having ceiling fans installed. Overall, very positive experience. Awesome neighbors too!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Lin! Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your home.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

The new home was built less than one year ago and have many defective issues inside and outside of the home. The Warranty Department consist of people scripted to refer you to the warranty book and stall you for several weeks without getting much done. The Builder for our home at Tributary in Lithia Springs, GA, was incompetent and we reported this and nothing was done, as he still works for D.R. Horton.

Holes in the roof caused leaks into the home during rainfall. The backyard is not level and we were promised it was going to get graded/level in the back and sod replanted due to erosion and this has not happened over six months now. The back deck is falling apart, the front porch railings and columns fell apart and was partially repaired. The iron spindles are loose and falling apart, the ceilings and walls have numerous nail pops, cracking, and defective Sheetrock. The engineered floors are shifting. Cheap paint on the walls. The communication is piss poor because they lie to you and do not return calls, texts, and or emails in a timely manner. Landscaping is not up to par and they try to put the expense off onto the consumer.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Valery - We have escalated your concerns to our Sandy Springs office for their review and appropriate action.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Our experience with DR Horton has been great, every step of the way, from the sales staff, to construction to warranty follow up. We have been in our home for a year and a half and had a couple of minor issues that we just noticed. We submitted a warranty request and got a response within 24 hours. Repairs were completed within 72 hours. Everyone we have dealt with has been professional and courteous. We are very pleased with our house and would definitely build with DR Horton again! We live in Katy, TX in an Express Home.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Jack - Thank you for sharing your experience on this website. We hope you have many happy years in your Express Home.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I am so disappointed in my home that I truly wish I never bought it. Purchased 6/14/17. Now a year old and all floors upstairs are squeaky and boards are shifting. Sounds like a 50 year old house. And none from the warranty cares. They won't call me back. They won't email me either. House is just 4 months outside the 12 month mark. I hate my house. I've cried so many times because I lost completely and the company won. And there is no protection for me because they've already been paid for the house.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Yolawnda. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information so we can research your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

We had a new home built in March 2018. We had some issues with first walkthrough they said they would have fixed before final walkthrough. They were never addressed. We were told to file warranty claim. So we did. They came out. Looked. Said there was a problem and never returned, they don't return phone calls or emails. Our front porch where the roof pillars sit on top of it is cracking and splitting. They said they don't cover that, our driveway has completely spider webbed. They said they don't cover that. That is DR HORTON'S go to line. "We don't cover that". They blame it on everything else, the contractor, the material used, the weather... They took our 500k plus and gave us the finger laughing while walking away.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Mike - Email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information so we can research your concerns.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Purchased a home at the Ways Station Community in Richmond Hill GA in June and prior to signing a contract, I asked about the amenities specifically the pool. The agent said it will be a large community pool and bigger than the community pool that the neighboring community pool located down the street. We saw the rendering and was given the impression that was our community pool. DR. Horton has duped this community into believing our pool will be a large community pool, however what we are seeing being constructed is a small pool and not very family/kid friendly. Not a zero/beach entry like I was told was being put in. Many other neighbors are also upset that what was told to us is not what we all bought into. This pool would probably accommodate 5-6 families comfortably, any more than that it will be crowded. #deceivedbyDRHorton.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Where do I begin. I speak for our established older neighborhood in Hampstead N.C. Last Summer our world was turned upside down. Before 80 acres were approved to begin clearing DR Horton came with full fury with every huge piece of clearing equipment and leveled hundred year old oaks and pines to a desert sand field. We reported them to the county commissioners and they at best got a slap on the wrist. Bad went to worse. Have you ever lived next to a chipper that makes your whole home shake? CAT equipment that was constantly beeping from sunrise and to even past dark. Huge dump trucks to tree logging trucks on our very narrow street. Trying to keep some sense of sanity while clearly not being able to give our home away at this point, we put about 50,000 dollars in our paid for home.

But before I go into that, one of our beloved dogs was so freaked out one early morning when she saw the CAT equipment that she went missing for 16 days. Yes we have a hurricane fence in our backyard. Luckily a fisherman found her on an oyster bed. She had swam the Intracoastal Waterway to get away. Back to our 10 foot wooden fence, all new windows and enclosed conversion porch to protect us all. Due to Hurricane Florence and 2 homes recently bought. To say that their 2 retention ponds beside and behind us failed would be an understatement. After almost 3 weeks of our backyard full of putrid muddy water and a street that has never flooded, homeowners rented a pump to get the water off of our street so we could get to work. We have video to prove these failed ponds. When contacted they gave all kinds of reasons why it wasn’t their responsibility to drain the flooded road.

We met one of the families that had literally just moved in from Colorado. Talk about getting duped. Their home literally shakes, the stairs have nails not properly hammered, siding improperly installed, their driveway flooded by the failed pond, etc. We just wanted people to be aware of what they are getting if they move into one of DR Horton's homes. Read the reviews. Learn the facts. Ask questions. Ask former and current homeowners. When they say “they really care” it is the best lie in the world.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

First I like to say I hope everyone that’s post on this website gets the help they need and deserve. Now on to my post me and my wife went to buy a new home in the Southshore Bay development in Wimauma Florida. But the dealings with a salesman named Jarron ** and Phil ** are both a bunch of cons. Jarron who was our salesman when we signed who told us before we signed we would closed in September then was let go from DR Horton to Phil ** who swore to me we would but when I kept asking for a closing date we were told that due to uncertainties they were unable to give us one.

When we tried to complain about these two salesman we were asked to write an email. Lo and behold guess what - it was sent to the area sales manager and here is the best - it is Teddieanne **. YES the one and only our salesman's wife who stated the same thing we cannot give you a closing date because of the uncertainties that they cannot control. But when I told her we were told by their sales team we would close in September we were again told they are not in control of the uncertainties. When we asked to cancel our contract with them with were told that they will be keeping within the terms of the contract. Which was they are entitled to our earnest deposit. Beware of these crooks. Their sales team will misrepresented you and get you to sign their contracts and then keep your money. We only lost $5.500 but I hope that this post will help others. So again beware. Do not get involved with this company.

Updated on 10/01/2018: Still no resolution just more excuses. I guess I did not explain myself correctly, so I will try again. It has nothing to do with the uncertainties of it to be the rainy season or hurricane season. It has to do with the misrepresentation of DR Horton’s sales team in Tampa Fl SouthShore Bay Community Wimauma Fl. I have text messages from your salesman Jarron ** as well as our realtor who also has the same text messages from Jarron that we would be closing in September (This is why we signed the contact with DR Horton in the first place). These text were all giving to corporate as was well as your VP of sales in Tampa Frank ** who turn a blind eye to our proof of text messages.

There were also verbal conversation between myself and Jarron ** as well as Phil ** stating that we would close in September but I know it is hearsay. We have even asked to have a representative from your corporate office in Texas asset us, as we do not feel comfortable dealing with any of your sales team from Tampa. Especially when our first inquiry was sent to one of your salesman's wife area manger Teddieanne ** (unknowing to us). In my experience this is a conflict of interest. So please let me know if this post has given you some more information into our problem as well as when someone from the corporate office in Texas is willing to help us.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Finn - as you know this is rainy season in Florida and it is also hurricane season. As a builder, we may also be affected by delays in receiving materials, building inspections, public utilities and other 3rd party impacts. Accordingly we are unable to provide a firm estimate for a closing date until we are close to completion - when cabinets are installed. We can provide an estimated closing date based upon our schedules and what we hope to achieve but that date is subject to change.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

We signed a contract on 3/31/18 for a new home and we closed on the house on 7/26/18. The price I signed on the contract was the same at closing and no extras. The title company was great and prepaid all closing expenses. The salesman, foreman and warranty rep. were great. We had some small issues with the home and warranty dept took care of them all. We are extremely pleased and satisfied with our experience and the quality of our new home.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Mike! Thank you for sharing your experience. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I wish I could have an option to give stars in negative. I bought their house June 2018, we did not use house much till this month and within three weeks we have seen so many issues. From house main drainage block to backdoor water leak. Dishwasher leak took four visits to get fixed two by their plumber and two from the equipment OEM. Moreover that not sure if they give a damn about our problems. Their contractors calls us and give dates for visit after a week, like they are doing any favor. And this is when house is in first year warranty. You need a good quality house and services stay away from them.

Good Morning

Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information so we can research your comments.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I purchased my house March 16, 2018 and I have been very disappointed. I have had a/c issues, my 'brand new' stainless steel refrigerator has an issue with water seeping out, the walls are poorly painted, the light switches have been wired incorrectly, when it rains, it forms a puddle in my backyard because the drainage has been incorrectly put in, and there are cracks in my walls. These are just some of my issues. This company throws houses up way too fast. My house was built in less than 3 months.

Hello Tina -

Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name and address so we can properly research your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Following review made by my husband Charles ** of Garner, NC on September 17, 2018. It is really frustrating to see how DR Horton tried to circumvent a warranty issue with excuses. It was not very professional for the DR Horton warranty department and your customer service representative to tell us to file it under our Homeowners Insurance based on your assumptions. It is not the proper way to conduct business. The roofers were at the house fixing the problem this morning. They stated, there was no damage from the storm, which we, the homeowners, tried to tell you. In the roofers' own words: "They should have someone inspecting it, before they claimed it was storm damage, they would have known what the problem was right away". There was a leak. Holes in the roof caused by the people who worked on the siding. They replaced about 12 sections of shingles.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I move in a DR Horton home in Princeton Texas in 2015. Never again will I moving to another one. We did a walk through before moving in. There was a hole in the wall in the garage. A leak in the wall in one of the rooms look like cement stains on the wall towels in the bathroom. The wood by the bathtub is not even. The job they did is just sloppy. There's a nail or something in the ceiling coming through. The wood is Bumpy and some spots on the floor. The appliances are cheap. Everything we saw that was wrong we wrote it down. The only two things was fixed the wall in garage cuz it's noticeable and the leak in the wall. You supposed to get a second walkthrough on everything else you notice after being in the house. They never came back and repaired anything. Now it's 2018 we have electrical problems. Two of the room's lights has stayed off for almost 2 weeks and then eventually came back on by itself.

You have to mess with the breaker off and on to get the washing machine to work. The room up front light cut off by itself and you had to go out there again and mess with the breaker until it eventually came back on and then when you call them to let them know there's a problem with the electric they have no idea what they're doing and they will tell you, "Oh no there is no problem." And a light fixture in the closet came out the ceiling cuz it wasn't place up there good. The warranty is off now. I'm out of pocket because of a crappy job and a leak in the ceiling. When you go up to the Attic you can clearly see the hole which I'm not understanding how it was overlooked when building the house. I did seal the hole. Now we getting Heavy Rain somewhere around it, it's starting to leak again so now it looks a mess and eventually we're going to have a hole in the ceiling.

I am pregnant stress because of issues with this house and the mortgage went up way too much more than what this house is worth paying for. I no longer want to stay here. What is so hard about hiring good construction workers? If you drove by here while they were building that would also make you change your mind too if you saw how they just threw trash out in the yard. Don't take none of it up. All that stuff is buried up under your house and your backyard, front yard. It's just nasty. A neighbor on the next block said they had the yard dug up to put sprinklers and nothing but trash came up. It's just nasty. If I can get a lawyer and Sue y'all I would and I'm seriously thinking about it. I shouldn't have to experienced this in my first new home.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Gina. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your address and contact information so we can research your concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Cheaply built home has issues. Myself and 30 homeowners have paver driveways that are constantly falling apart. I moved in home barely a year ago and my driveway falling apart for 3rd time! 30 other homes reporting same issues - I have names and addresses of homes affected. Other people reporting, electrical, plumbing issues. Panel on side of garage is now coming loose as well. Drainage from gutters washes away mulch, plants. When it rains you have a raging river down your driveway! Company representatives are rude and don’t care. Now I have to sell my home I just bought barely 1 year ago. The home won’t have any value with the way things fall apart. Company once contacted states we did nothing wrong and this is normal maintenance. Seriously every 2 months I need to re-cement my driveway? My hard earned money thrown away. I wanted a new home so I wouldn’t have to worry but barely a year?

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Brian. Your concern regarding the pavers is being reviewed by our SE Florida management team. For items specific to your home, please ensure you have submitted a warranty request at http://www.drhorton.com/Warranty/New

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I recently retired and wanted a new home with a small yard. I thought if we purchased a new home, I wouldn't have a lot of work to do around the house or have to worry about any problems with appliances, roof, paint, or yard. I figured I wouldn't have to fix or replace much of anything for the rest of my life (I'm 64). I was looking forward to relaxing, keeping my grandkids, and playing some golf. Boy, was I wrong. We've been in the home (Charleston Ridge Subdivision in Saraland, AL) for four weeks. Three days after we moved in, there's water standing in my yard, (it was built on a wetland) which is breeding mosquitoes, tadpoles and other insects. I can't cut grass with my lawnmower because it gets stuck in the mud. I had to pull it out with my truck.

My backyard is eroding from rain runoff. This has created holes and ditches. I fell in one of the holes and hurt myself. I thought my wrist was broken from trying to catch myself when I fell. I've placed several sandbags on the edge of the grass to help stop the erosion problems. The landscape crew laid sod over the metal posts and erosion fence/tarp that wasn't removed. The sod isn't touching the ground, it's just laying over the bent metal post that they left in the yard. They threw plastic shrubbery buckets and other trash in the bushes near the street on my lot. You can clearly see all of this mess. They left a pallet of bricks and other trash a few feet from my yard on the adjoining lot. I cleaned up most of the trash, but can't do anything with the bricks. They left several metal posts that were bent over by the dozer while they were spreading the dirt to level the yard.

My air conditioner went out within the first two weeks. It has been fixed. I have a water leak on the kitchen sink faucet (not fixed yet). I have no insulation in my garage attic. I don't know why they didn't blow insulation in there. I know it is very hot in the garage and this makes the rest of the house hotter. They left off a strip of siding under the eve on the back porch, which left a hole in the attic. Insulation was falling out and birds were trying to go in it. They finally sent someone to fix that.

None of the repairs have been made other than what I indicated above. This is the first new home that I've ever owned, but I've had more problems with it than any of the previous nine homes that I owned. To think about what we paid for this home and all of the problems with it, makes me sick, and I am HEARTBROKEN. At 64 years old, retired and having spent a big portion of my savings on the down payment, I feel like I'm stuck here. I hope this review prevents some innocent person from purchasing a D.R. Horton home.

DR Horton Homes response
    Hello S.T. Please be sure you have submitted your warranty requests at

http://www.drhorton.com/Warranty/New. We will be happy to address those issues after they have been submitted.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

My wife and I bought a brand new townhomes from DR Horton this July. After moving in for a week or two, we found a roof leak, we reported it to warranty department right away. They sent two guys the other day and told us someone will fix it soon and have us use fan to dry it. Three weeks later, no updates from anyone. We reached the MN DR Horton office, they had the construction manager come over to take a look. He showed up and promised they will fix it asap and repaint the wall. After two weeks, we still didn’t have any updates. Trying to reach the construction manager, he didn’t answer any phone calls from us and no reply to any of our voice mail. It rained very heavy recently, the leaking problems became even worse. Really disappointed about the experience with DR Horton.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello! Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your address and contact information so we can research your concerns and ensure they are brought to an appropriate resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

We purchased a new home build, costly price. Overall poor quality. Paint issues, large cracks in cement and patio issues. We found a beer case, and trash inside our wall from workers, and they sheetrocked around it. Dried Paint stuck on our hardwood flooring, which we can't remove. Our house wasn't sealed around foundation, and a hole in our foundation, etc. Trash and debris left in our yard, and under mulch from workers. We've put in warranty requests. They do not get done or addressed. Few items may, then they don't come back. Very hard to reach and get any warranty work finished. I wouldn't recommend a home with DR Horton.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Jennifer - please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com. Ensure to include your address and contact information so we can research your concerns.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information