1.44/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Find a recommended home builder & developer now
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

DR Horton Homes

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

583 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Do not purchase a home from this company! We have had many issues and getting them fixed has been like pulling teeth. We were having boards upstairs that were making noise when we walked and they came out and fixed them. Then when we had them come out again they couldn’t find any issues and said call them when we hear them again. We put in the warranty request and were told by DR that they had them come out last time as a courtesy and this is not covered so whenever we walk in 3 rooms upstairs the floor makes noise. The paint around our front door and the casing has bubbled and they came out and repainted and it has bubbled. As well as the paint on the exterior of the house just comes off. When it rained recently we found where water was coming in from the top window area. The blinds are cheap and didn’t even last a year before you can’t use the cord to close them anymore.

Before We closed we were told that whenever a house was built next to us that they would replace our sod on that side of the house but when it came around to that time they didn’t stick by their word. Their contractors parked in my yard on my grass and a delivery truck with lumbar backed into my yard and left tire marks and I voiced my concern about my sprinklers possibly being damaged and the person in charge of warranties came out and basically dismissed my concerns even though I have pictures of all these events and issues and there are other issues outside but don’t wan't make post too long. Their customer service/warranty department will ignore your emails or dismiss your issues. I would NEVER purchase another home from this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

DRH is the most unethical and untrustworthy home builders that we've ever dealt with. We moved in when the community was very new and the lies were still fresh and believable. Lied about building clubhouse and new amenities. Lied about boat concierge. Built 2000 sq ft ranch style homes in a section which was only suppose to be 4500sq ft - 6000sq ft. Improper grading on the yards which caused lots of drainage issues. Doug ** from DRH offered to pay us $10k to keep quiet about ruining our property value but we had to sign all our rights away. Customer service department is the worst yet. It's their goals not to help fix any of your issues. They build cheap homes and don't stand by their products. Their sales team still sells the same lies they did 8-9 years ago. I'm always shocked and amused when I see their signs that say America's #1 Builder. I would NOT recommend ever buying a house from this unethical builder.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Hello my name is Edwin **, I purchased a new house in March 28 2016. I have been having window leaks in about 3 windows. I have sent emails and claims to the local branch and it seems that no one cares about you after you have purchased the house. It's brand new and I do have a contract that states warranty for the house, I'm close to seeking legal assistance.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

My name is Chad ** . A retired United States Marine living in a DR Horton home at **. We saw the home of our dreams and trusted in the DR Horton name plus Mr. Horton values he built these homes on. At the point of signing the paperwork our only holdback was a cracked countertop, but was assured it would be fixed. It was but not in a timely manner (3 months after buying the home). In the process of them putting in the new countertops they broke all my backsplash in the kitchen and damaged the cabinetry and a drawer. It's been close to six months now and at every turn and every email sent out no answers are given. I am not asking for anything extra just a finished home.

I still believe in DR Horton the builder but I also believe they do not know how me and the families of Rye Wilderness are being treated. The salesperson Patrick ** is a good person but he is in sales and can't do anything for me at all. I've contacted the contractor John ** several times no luck. I've went to emailing Mr.**@DRHorton.com and he has tried to help but it's not a warranty issue. It was a construction issue (i.e. John ** the Head Contractor). So where do I go from here? Already contacted Head Quarters in Texas and they said someone would get back to me and that's been 2 weeks ago. This all started out as a dream home coming true... These issues are all simple fixes that can be done in less than 3 minutes, so the question is why push these items this far when I was a proud owner of a DR Horton home... One of the owners pushing my friends & family to purchase these homes. So Why?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

As I am reading the reviews about DR Horton, I am not a bit surprised with the comments and experiences shared by everyone. I had similar issues. The quality of work or the lack thereof is so disappointing to say the least. We were suppose to close June 30 but was delayed to Sept.! The reason they told us was because Berkeley county is delaying the permits as they are inundated with building permits and such. I went to the county office myself and found out that DR Horton did not file the permits until June 29, day before we were suppose to close. They blamed all the delay on the county. We didn't get a 30 day final walk through. We were told a week before closing that we were closing in a week! Just lies after lies. We put blue tapes all over the house that needed repair but they only did half of it and told us to put the rest on the 30 day list. What a joke! Never again and I will not recommend this builder to anyone!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I purchased my DR Horton home in Ashburn VA in 2013 and I regret it very much. I have purchased a new home before from KHOV and the customer care is night and day. KHOV responded and took care of every issues right away and made sure we were satisfied but DR HORTON is the total opposite, they worked hard to hide from you until you just give up. This is the same experiences my neighbors had. The quality of materials and workmanship is horrible. Drywalls not secured to ceilings. Recessed lights just started falling off. Roof and bathroom leaks. My lawn never grew grass because they just laid the sod on top of left over building materials like gravel, cement and 4x4s. A lot of the trees they planted died within a few weeks and promised to replace but never did. I will never recommend DR HORTON to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

If you want a quality home DO NOT PURCHASE ANY HOME FROM DR. HORTON HOME BUILDERS. DR Horton can only sell you a low-quality home with many defects and when they attempt to fix problems they make things worse than they ever were. You actually wind up with worse problems than when they started. They wrote the book on excuses on why so much low-quality materials are in your home. They continued the book and fabricated reasons why low workmanship standards are accepted by DR Horton. Their repairs are generally incomplete and carelessness in their workmanship is what you will find all over your home. Check the thousands of consumer complaints about DR Horton, the complaints are a real eye-opener and will surely steer your purchase away from DR Horton to a reputable and quality home builder.

All D.R. Horton’s Customer Support Personnel who are sent to investigate problems come prepared to give every excuse in the book why your problems are not their fault and how your problem isn’t covered under the warranty. I have had the experience of battling DR Horton for over thirty months on so many issues of poor workmanship to substandard materials. I been finding serious problems with my home since the second day I occupied my home. I’ve had now (6) Windows Replaced due to WATER INTRUSION, I had the three bedrooms rugs replaced three times and they still had to be torn out due to dampness and mold. The rugs would peel up and smell rotten. DR Horton Warranty people told me that this is NORMAL in all homes… the rugs just need to be stretched again. REALLY??? I’ve had continuous water intrusion since I moved in.

On a recent repair by DR Horton sub-contractors, they found that my rear wall that had two of the six windows leaking into the wall. This window was not sealed from the outside properly. They sealed it correctly and now this window does not have water intrusion. I asked them to check the rest of my home when they put me out of my home for 21 days so they could bunch up the many repairs that accumulated. They never checked the home and now I again have water intrusion in all the other areas they failed to seal. The repairs were done in the end of June this year 2017 and we did not have any serious rain until Hurricane Irma when my baseboard moldings which were just installed by DR Horton warped dramatically and pulled away from the sheetrock leaving a large gap.

When I reported this to DR Horton Customer Service they sent someone out who was a novice and could only utter words that he was programmed to say defending DR Horton Home Builders. He kept referring that I am out of warranty. Let me tell all of you reading this, you are never out of warranty if you are on record when you report the un-satisfactory deficiencies in your home prior to the warranty expiring. Also certain parts of your home have a ten-year warranty. Also shoddy workmanship and sub-standard materials that are not to code is a violation of building requirements and regulations and is in effect and active throughout the life of the home. I’ve been told by (2) Licensed Builders that they suspect the bottom courses of block may not be filled to code. Water intrusion has already caused me many problems.

As of now my brand new 5 ¼ inch replaced baseboards have warped away from the sheetrock once again the entire length of the home. So do you think the water has intruded because it is the exact same scenario over again? The manager of DR. Horton Service told me in writing that these brand new baseboards warping and breaking away from the sheetrock is NORMAL & COMMON. Have any of you ever seen this in a well-constructed home?? I think not. DR Horton wants me to wait and see if it gets worse… Do I wait until my home floods??? The problem exists now… It needs to be waterproofed and sealed correctly according to code. I do not want to be flooded out in a major hurricane. This DR Horton Home is the worst constructed home ever. Serviced by their do-nothing excuse filled Customer Service Personnel. DO NOT BUY A HOME FROM DR HORTON. Southeastern Region, Palm Bay, Florida. Keith Williams, Pres.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

DR Horton finished building the homes in our subdivision (Heatherbrooke) in Acworth, GA and left not finishing contract agreements! Once homes were sold they left not finishing the retention ponds etc. They also left our subdivision in horrible financial shape for the HOA needs! They underbid what HOA dues would be when in fact the HOA dues necessary to maintain common grounds was almost double! They return no phone calls and have left a job unfinished! This company is far from one that should be recognized as reputable and honest!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

There have been several minor issues with my home that was built by DR Horton. For example, tacks sticking up out of the carpet which is a easy fix. I was lied to about the carpet in general. I was shown a home with linoleum floors then told I would have them. I have had issues with the power going out and breakers tripping for apparently no reason. Recently I noticed my roof leaking in my loft area, my home is less than two years old. Two days ago I also noticed the roof leaking in my laundry room. I contacted DR Horton because I do not believe a home that was built less than two years ago should have a leaky roof and was told that this is more than likely not covered under warranty without even sending someone to my home to check the issue.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I am a resident of a DR Horton Home in the Patterson Ranch community and my family was very excited to be a proud owner of a DRH home in July 2016. We were promised an inspection walk through prior to moving in, a 30 day walk through and 1 year walk through. We had an initial walk through with a lot of issues reported, some got fixed before we moved in and the rest are history. Little did we know that the stickers which were put during the walk through would stay like that for a year with no action taken. We have completed our one year, there is no follow through from the builder for a check in which is very disappointing from a leading builder like DRH.

The reason I am writing today is about a major water leak which happened on June 22nd 2017 with a pool of water on our ground floor coming through the sprinkler right after my husband took a bath in the master bath tub. We had someone come in the following morning to check and told us they will be contacting us to get to the root cause of the leak. After 3 weeks of wait, someone did come in and identified the leaks coming from two places, master sink and laundry pipes. Everything was tore apart, the ceiling near the kitchen area where the water was dripping, master bath cabinets, mirrors and washer/dryer removed in the laundry room and huge dryers were placed to remove the moisture.

We were told that the drying would take 2 days before someone would check in and start the work to fix the piping and leaks. No one came, repeated phone calls to the company and warranty and I was being told that the builder did not approve on several occasions. Finally the approvals went in and the company who was in charge of fixing came in after another 3 weeks of torture with loud noises from the dryers, no access to laundry, master bed room which was full of the cabinets, mirrors and boxes. On Aug 4th 2017, we finally had workers come in to check that there is no moisture anymore and turned off the dryers. Wow it took them 6 weeks since the leak to finally claim no moisture after all that drying. The drywall was patched and painted for 2 more days and they left saying that they did not get the approval for plumbing yet.

I had to go thru the same agony, several calls to DRH warranty rep, James and leaving voice messages with no response and finally I met a DRH warranty rep, Eric who was working on my neighbor’s house and I told him the suffering we were going through last two months. He called the contracting company and finally I got a call that they will be at my place on Aug 22nd to fix the plumbing and put the cabinets back. We took the day off just like we did for all the other times the workers were in before and no one turns up. I know this is a long email but I am beyond frustrated now. We have lost hope on DR Horton, the company which claims they are top class, I have to tell that they are cheap, very horrible customer service and do not have any concern for the residents who have spent millions purchasing so called luxury homes.

It is not just me alone in this struggle, our entire community of 60 homes in Patterson Ranch have faced similar experience, very dissatisfied with the service and the quality of the plumbing in our homes, I know at least 5 homes who have had major water leaks in our neighborhood. I have the open items from my initial walk through from over a year back hoping that they will get to it someday. I hope this is reaching the right people at DRH and some action is taken or else you will start hearing from more and more people like me who are beyond frustrated and disappointed with the poor quality of homes you are building and cheating people of their money!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I have only been in my home for 4 years, and in that time I have experienced water leaks and damage to include structure damage. First every time it rain hard water comes into my home from the bottom of my kitchen door and it was never corrected correctly. Then one day I noticed that the trim around my garage door was bulging out, I called someone to come look at it and I was told that the house design has what they call a "Death Valley Zone" and the flash there was not installed causing water to penetrate behind the siding into the wall, causing water damage the Low Bearing Beam.

I called D.R Horton and they told to call my homeowner's insurance because my water damage warranty expired and I responded "but the house has a 10 year Structure warranty" and they responded that the structure damage is not cover because it was damage by water. Keep in mind that it was damaged by water because they did not properly install proper flash to divert the water. I called my homeowner insurance and they won't cover it because they say the damage was caused by a "design flaw". Well damage estimated cost is $7,000 that is not covered by either D.R Horton or homeowner ins.

As I research my homeowner's insurance, I noticed that the policy has on it as the insurance agency "D.R Horton Insurance Company, Inc". Yes, same company that build the house is also the insurance agent. So there no way that this policy could ever benefit me. Then I come home one day from work and it is raining in my garage. I called a plumber and they found a pipe on my wall on the second floor that was installed with a kink in it that eventually sprung a leak in my wall and causing extensive damage to my drywall on the ceiling in the garage. I called my homeowner's ins. which the agent is D.R Horton themselves again and they told me that the $2,100 water damage would be cover but I would first have to pay a $5,000 deducted because my policy has a $5,000 deductible per claim. At this rate they will never pay for anything.

And now my roof has started to leak into my closet on the second floor, I called a roofer to come give me a estimate on how much it will cost me to fix the leak in the roof, In the meantime I have not been able to get a hold of someone from D.R Horton but even if I did they will wiggle their way out of paying out anyway. I really hope that if a lawyer reads this or anyone that have any idea of how I get some legal counsel on this situation to please contact me. I really could use some help in getting some resolution. Please contact me at my personal email: **. Once a dialog has begun I will provide my cell number. Thanks in advance.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

We have been in our home for nearly 8 months now and amazed at the lack of customer service after purchasing our new home. The yard has to be the biggest issue for me. We have standing water throughout our yard that remains for 72 hours or more even after a light rain. Three separate warranty claims have been filed and they have never come out to even look at it. The water runoff has begun to create large washouts that are eating up my yard. That combined with the exterior bricks cracking and the subpar quality throughout the home I would recommend that nobody ever buy from them.

We bought this home to facilitate our growing family. We hoped this would be our forever home and now we are siding with the fact we will probably have to move again in a few years versus constantly fixing everything that breaks. Their warranty service is full of excuses and won't really repair anything. It's all patchwork that will come apart again. By far and away the worst purchase of my life!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Our retirement home is now our greatest nightmare. I have a punch list of 50-60 items. Every time they fix anything they uncover something even worse. Our biggest and first item on our list was the yard. We were told "it will lay down". They promised in writing to fix. They have sprinkled sand from a wheel barrow on it 4 times. First rain, it washes off. Then you begin to see what is really going on. They have buried all of the construction debris, 2x4's, nails, bricks, concrete leftovers. We replanted yard and it was beautiful for a couple of months. Then it gets down to the piece of plywood or the concrete and it dies. They are saying it's just erosion we have to fix ourselves. At least tape if you speak with someone. Their mouth is moving, they are lying. From the top down it is one lie after another.

Material is the cheapest they can find. Paint is diluted down 10:1. They will not write down everything that is wrong, they want a bonus. Once that is received you might as well they are done. Their workers are illegal and can't speak enough English to answer a question. "Yes Ma'am this is gray grout." No it is red. 15 visits we bought our own. We paid 3600 for a very nice upgrade in bathroom. They did not order our tile so they put gray walls, brown floors with a deep gray grout. I cried every night. "Go pick out another tile and we will put it in," they say. They would not pay. They run out of tile, hide it in a corner, fireplace, also an extra we had to prove it should have. A Air condition guy accidentally sprays Freon on your roof hearth.

This was supposed to be the best year of our life and we have had more than a hundred workmen all hours day or night. Yes they are supposed to call, no they don't. If you have an appointment they have a death in family, sick children, taking father-in-law off of life and so on. Oops the father-in-law died 4 weeks ago, his men he let off for funeral, they actually quit.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

My husband and I bought a garden home in Tannehill Preserve from DR Horton. This was the home we were going to retire in. We have only been living in our home for 6 years. One day when we outside doing yard work we notice the siding on our house had started to bubble up and began to look wavy from the side. We contacted DR Horton Warranty Department regarding this matter and were told that it would fall under the first year warranty. Now how in the heck can siding on the out side of your home fall under the first year warranty. We were told that several times when we contacted them trying to get this matter resolved. Now they are telling us that they will replace only that side of the house when the other side is starting to do the same thing. Why I want only one side replaced on a home I have only had for 6 years.

For one thing after 6 years it is not going to match and the color will be also different if I ever wanted to sell our home for any reason, we couldn't because the outside of our home will look stupid. DO NOT BUY A DR HORTON HOME THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR HOMES OR THE QUALITY OF IT. THEY BUILD WITH CHEAP GRADE MATERIALS AND NEVER FIX ANYTHING. This is the worst company in the world to build homes. You can get a better grade house by buying a mobile home.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I am writing this review to warn anyone buying a DR Horton home to run the other way. When you are signing the contract they get you very excited. Once you close it is a very different company. They use the cheapest labor possible which do the cheapest jobs. It has really been the worst experience of my life. They outright lied about everything. We were misled almost the entire way through. When we closed we were told all the issue would be taken care of. We have been here 4 months and have issue after issue and the warranty process is a joke. They constantly reschedule and give excuse after excuse. The times they have made it out I have had to call for someone else to come out. I have been told by the contractor himself that the reason we are having all these issues is because DR Horton uses the cheapest materials. I advise anyone who reads this to make sure you really take this seriously. RUN AWAY!!!

Original review: July 25, 2017

In April 2016 we contracted with Emerald Homes Div of DR Horton to construct a home on an empty lot in North Myrtle Beach, SC. That was the first lie. DR Horton DIDN'T EVEN OWN THE LOT!! Next lie, your home will commence in June 2016 and expect 100-120 to completion. The home didn't start until Sept. 2016, AND Horton did not purchase the property until Aug. 6, 2016, So they couldn't start building until they owned it. Next lie, The Sales Rep on Site, met with me at their "design center" to select cabinets, flooring, trim etc. on June 3, 2016. All selections were made, and photographed!! When I asked the Sales Rep for a copy my selections, I was told "I'll have it for you in a week." Never saw it again until sometime in Aug 2016 when I allegedly signed a document that had white trim, Avanti white cabinets and white windows.

IN fact we had ordered almond windows, almond trim and white cabinets. We had no idea that "Avanti" was the style, not the color. Needless to say, everything changed on our house!!! Next lie. That we would be in by Sept. We had a 6 month lock on rate of 2 5/8% so they had to finish by end of the year which they did, but with incorrect specs as noted. Next lie, I asked for a copy of the "plat" with notes and elevations and easements. I received a platted lot map with NO EASEMENTS!! And no notes for a drainage ditch, which now ran across the entire width of our rear lot line AND was full of water most of the time! Which was promised that it was "only temporary"! 7 months later and it's still there and now we have stinky smelly ugly ground water bubbling up!

We had some issues with landscaping and I requested an "as built" survey to include an "elevation map" so I would know if the lot was graded properly. I got it and my lot NOW HAD A 20FT WIDE EASEMENT ACROSS THE WIDTH OF THE REAR YARD! We have had water flow problems with the internal plumbing since day one and no one wants to fix it! NEVER NEVER NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM DR HORTON OR IT'S SUBSIDIARIES!! THEY ARE LIARS, AND JUST SUCK!

Original review: July 20, 2017

I purchased my house in 2015 and they still haven't corrected my problems even though two people from Customer Service has seen and acknowledged my issues. I purchased upgraded large porcelain tiles for most of my house; there's some substance (grout haze?) on numerous tiles in every room. I contacted the seller before moving in and was promised that it would be cleaned within a week. I informed her that my furniture would be in their way and was told not to worry that they would move it. It still hasn't been cleaned and I've tried everything I know of except for muriatic acid which I've requested they use. I had two cracked tiles near my laundry room replaced a few months ago and now those two tiles have cracked also. I also have a tile that wasn't glued down properly and they still haven't replaced that either.

I purchased their upgraded bronze package for plumbing and lighting. In my MBR shower, they used a chrome drain plate that I've asked them to replace numerous times! Their employees ruined my MBR tub and they sent someone to repair the tub, however, he damaged the drain plate and they refuse to even replace that. Their "upgraded lighting package" is of extremely poor quality. The only thing holding the glass shades up in my kitchen are the light bulbs; it's very obvious to see. In the bathrooms the lights over the sinks will not stay in the up position; there are 3 lights on each fixture and the arms holding the glass domes won't remain in the up position. They sent a "supervisor" (lots of those) to fix it and not even a week later it had fallen again. The pipes behind my toilet protrude from the wall; they sent someone to fix that and the following week it was once again sticking out from the wall! It should have been tied down.

Their employees are obviously untrained and don't know what they're doing. Their employee turnover is ridiculously high. I purchased a hose bib to be installed near my garage and that was missing. They finally put it in last month; the plumber had to cut through drywall and remove a brick. When he finished he said someone would be back soon to clean up, repair drywall and replace brick etc. No one has yet to come and I've called and left numerous emails that go unacknowledged. Major problems with their well and irrigation system; it broke down so often that I had to pay $2,000.00 for a new well and I've had no problems since. I have sprinkler heads that were placed under existing plants. The sprinklers shoot water up 5-6' on my brick. Some areas don't get water.

Before laying the sod my backyard was never leveled and there are numerous areas that sink in. My neighbor witnessed them laying sod that was full of weeds! The landscaper sent 2 of his best employees to come out to determine the problem which they did. However, he refused to use their advice as it would cost money. Instead he sent someone out with a huge plastic tank that he filled with water and proceeded to roll over my weeds and grass. It looked like something taken from the Flintstones cartoon! Obviously it didn't help at all; it was just a gesture to placate me. The supervisor in charge of my house was fired just after I moved in. I've built with Centex and Winchester Homes and I've never had the problems I've had with Horton; never again!!!

Original review: July 20, 2017

My family and I bought a home from DR Horton 1 1/2 years ago and the air conditioner installed by McCrea here at Manors at Ballenger Creek is not working in the height of July's sweltering heat (Heat index 100) degrees. McCrea has been to my house twice over the last two weeks with no results and when they do come they leave a work order you can't read with no details of what the plan is to fix the air conditioner. I have had to call them for the answers.

Another appointment has been schedule for Friday, July 21st. This is putting my family in an oppressive hardship. I now have to take off work (losing money) in order to get the air conditioner fixed. The idea was to buy a maintenance free home (new construction) at least for a few years and we choose DR Horton, but this is certainly becoming an awful nightmare. I have sent a number of emails and only the first was responded to effectively letting us know that the responsibility lies with someone else. I wonder if this happen to anyone working in the DR Horton family would it be considered ok. Shame on DR Horton.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Don't walk, RUN away from any DR Horton home! They are sub-par. Contacted DR Horton by phone. I was told my home only has one year warranty. I emailed them; this is a structural issue. Their auto reply states this; "Your warranty request has been submitted. Your satisfaction is our priority, and we will work to resolve your warranty request in a timely manner. When you purchase your home from America's Builder, you get more than just a house, you get DR Horton's commitment for years to come. We'll be in touch with you as soon as possible to discuss next steps toward a resolution." I was emailed by "Princess **" stating structural issues are with their 3rd party warranty company RWC. They only cover issues that are main frame and beams! So leaks through a wall is not structural? I was told to refer to my homeowner's insurance. So much for their commitment for years to come.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I purchase my home in 2013. First owner house. Was built in 2011 and now I am having to replace both bathtubs in my home. I am very dissatisfied with the builders. I am hoping that anyone whomever purchase a home from DR Horton inspects the home with a fine pin. You can hear the water whenever you flush the toilets. The materials they built the home with is not at its best. I can't believe this is happening so soon. Called the DR Horton stating that the plumber who put the tubs in are no longer in services and tubs normally wear and tear. But it's only been four years so how does both of the tubs leaks at the same time. I would never purchase from them again.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I have leaks in my basement that they said were resolved, which are not. I called the builder and they directed me to call my insurance company. We also have sink holes and severe erosion in our yard. We will be filing a class action lawsuit if they don't address the issues.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I have lost my trust in Dr. Horton. I bought a house from your company in Avalon Place Homestead FL. I was not going to buy from you, for all the reviews I saw online before, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt trusting and believing in your company warranty, since I did my closing in May 30th 2017. I have had some warranting request with the construction guy on side also online, and nothing has been taken care of as it should be. First water leaks by the back glass door when it rains. The baseboard next to the door is almost green. One of the construction guys came and all he did was put some sealing outside and he said they will come back to fix the baseboard three weeks ago and there is no sign of them. Also the wall outside was not sealed. Has a crack and baseboard still has not been fix.

Second my garage door floor has a crack in the middle. Looks like it is going to split in half. Third my garage roof has a water leak, water is filtrating by the roof and paint and wood were peeling. They put a patch inside, but the leak on the roof was never fix. They were supposed to come today to fix it and is 1:00 pm Monday 7/10/2017 and still not sign of the roofers and if they are not coming, a courtesy call should be the right professional thing to do. Third the master bedroom bathroom walls were not painted properly. Walls peels away. No primer was put before putting the paint. I call the guy in charge of the construction and he said that this was happening, for the paint that was used was a matte white paint. How can it be possible not to use a water resistant paint in a bathroom where water is the main element of use? It makes no sense to me.

Now I have to repaint the bathroom myself and waste my money in a brand new home that I bought not to have this issues. How can this be happening? Finally some of the pavers are lifting up in my driveway. They were not properly adjusted, also every time they are doing construction next to my house, the workers are using my yard to place their tools and my grass is getting damage. I will like to send you all the pictures I have with date stamp which I will keep for my personal record.

Original review: July 8, 2017

Our last walk with our agent and the maintenance manager was late December. They promised us with a promissory note, that they would complete everything before we moved in. We officially moved in on January 15 and there was still a mess. We found out from the agent on site after three months that they were supposed to go through a video with us. Sent in all the request and up till date no one has called to schedule. The last words that the agent on site told me was, "Go on the websites as the ** people do. And if you do not know how to do it, ask someone to do that for you. Go above me to anyone on the website because there is nothing that I can do for you."

Original review: July 8, 2017

I guess I've been one of the lucky ones, we haven't had any issues with our home. We were Crown Homes by DR Horton before they switch to building DR Horton homes in my neighborhood. We've had minor issues like a chip in the wood floor and we had to replace a bad dishwasher. The reason I didn't give DR Horton 5 stars is because of their customer service. It is the worst, each Crown home is suppose to come with a 2-month and 10-month walk through, you can forget about the two-month walk through you won't ever see anyone. The lead builder will take your concerns but you'll never hear from him again. He'll just yes you to death, get in his truck and probably throw your concerns out the window.

Once you close on your home they want nothing to do with you. I think DR Horton should slow down on building homes, they have a home ready to move in within 60 days which is way too fast I feel. They better fix this because people are not going to take a 30-year loan on a home that is going to fall apart. Again I've been blessed. So far so good and it's going on two years with my Crown Home by DR Horton.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have to say initially our experience with DR Horton was wonderful. My husband and I are in the midst of closing on an Express Home in Charlotte, NC. However, our closing date has been pushed back 3 times because the copper pipes are repeatedly being stolen. I have to say one would figure after the same incident keeps reoccurring, security would be put into place to safe guard the 15 new homes that are broken into during non-business hours.

Our sales person Danielle ** is doing her absolute best, but this is way over her head. When we previously reached out to Danielle's manager, Rebecca **, she was unprofessional and completely useless. Her one comment that stuck with us, "Maybe we should push the closing date to July 31st." Well it is now gone from June 26th to July 31st and quite frankly speaking is someone from DR Horton going to guarantee that this isn't going to happen again? Is someone going to stop taking the lackadaisical approach to this situation and make a sensible business decision to put security in place at Sanders Farm? Or does DR Horton not care because financially speaking it's just a drop in the bucket for them?

I have already taken steps and I am communicating with one of the top lawyers in Charlotte to see what can be done about this unacceptable approach to families trying to move into their new homes. I am hoping someone can address this situation and take the proper steps in assuring this is handled in the most expeditious manner. It is most unacceptable and unprofessional. I will make it my best to spread my dismay with this company.

Original review: July 2, 2017

Painting on outside my home and various odds and ends never completed at our 1 yr. A/C broke two years after moving in. Customer service is the very worst!!! Emergency phone number they provide doesn't get you anywhere!! Even with no A/C and 115 degree temps!!! DR Horton staff has very large turnover!!! Will never purchase DR Horton ever again!!

Original review: June 29, 2017

The last Tuesday, 2 barely English speaking guy showed up. They were asking about paint. My understanding is, they should bring a special paint. I told them to peel off the paint before painting it as they were coming off from finger tip. I showed them. No matter how many coating you do, paint is not going to stick. Painter should know this simple thing and that's what they qualified for, "painter". They said, "It is too much of work." It is NOT apparently. Also they said, "The work order says just one window, it does not say 4 windows." One of the guys started the work while other guy was talking over the phone. Then they said, "It is too much of work; the work order is not clear; it doesn't say sand and paint; and it doesn't say 4 windows sills," and left.

I wanted to remind you, I paid extra money for material/labor to install blinds on all windows. Since day 1, the paints were off on sills. It was noted in the warranty paperwork since day 1. Harry, who was our building warranty guy and he left with DR Horton. Later there were many pictures taken by painter and they left, never showed up. Marsha never followed up. Windows blind guy say, "It is a cheap paint," whereas painter say, "It is a cheap blind." It's been going on since day 1 and it is 14 plus months now.

If paint was good we wouldn't have this problem to begin with. What do you do if you were in my position and you hired some company for painting? Let me ask you simple question, how long this communications have been going on? Is it not wasting everyone's time here for a simple thing? If painter doesn't want to do a better job, I don't need your service. I will go to street to street, door to door and explain my pain and struggle that I am having with YOU GUYS. I never ever struggle like this. Again, my pain is not going to go away simply. You guys are advertising "AMERICA'S #1 HOME BUILDER 14 YEARS IN A ROW"? WOW.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Purchased our home in December of 2016. We did a punch list and basically nothing was done when we closed on the home. We did the 30-day-walk through in January and here it is the end of June and our problems still are not resolved. The contractors that work for them are very sloppy and have no regard for your home. I am still fighting to get doors replaced, yard seeded and other issues solved. I have had issues with my windows, floors peeling up, doors not set right, sliding glass door that leaks, my air conditioner broke, circuit breakers that keep popping, garbage coming up in the yard, garage door needed to be fixed, cracks in all corners of the house, paint all over floors and cabinets and so on and so forth.

You email the warranty people and nobody will email you back. I have had to take numerous days off of work to try and get workers in my home to finish, redo or fix problems in my home. This is a brand new home and I should not have all these issues. These are just some of what has been going on. I would not recommend buying or building your home through them unless you want a constant migraine.

Original review: June 23, 2017

From non-square walls to rotten fence posts throughout the entire neighborhood around the same time for everyone. Fences were falling down like a time alarm was set for them to fall. Everything seemed fine and beautiful from a first impression point of view. However, once everyone was getting settled into the newly constructed neighborhood the severe flaws began to make the presence known. Our A/C has had tremendous issues. From the duct in attic meeting the vent in various parts of the home screws were stripped or simply not screwed down all the way. As I was installing some LED recessed lighting in the attic, I was being cooled off by the A/C duct/vent connection due to poor installation. Our electricity bill for 1900 sq. ft. home has been outrageous almost $300/month. The A/C issue is only part of the many A/C issues that are currently present.

Recessed light in the pantry just so happened to start cracking spilling our installation into the pantry until I ripped out their crap install from most likely undocumented workers that pay no taxes. I could go on and on. The bad thing is that we will cannot receive any compensation in the newly constructed subdivision that is only 6 years old. I only hope this review brings about accountability and change with the organization. DR Horton buyers beware. We are in South Louisiana if that makes any difference to viewers of this review. I am currently on vacation and as soon as I return home I will submit pictures and receipts to further validate this review.

Original review: June 23, 2017

It has been one year since I purchased my townhome from DR Horton. The front of my home is "settling". There is a giant (1 Ft+) sinkhole underneath the 4 inch thick slab of concrete which wasn't secured by anything. I understand buying cheap you get what you pay for and I also understand new home settling. However, the warranty states in the housing contract that within the 1st year if the settling that occurs is one foot deep or more they will come to inspect and fix the problem. I have record of over 6 contacts in the last 3 months where there was reply from the service member (Shirley) stating that they would send someone out in 1 week time.

Every time I call they say this. There has been no appointment set up because she won't set one. She just will simply send someone out. This loses accountability for whoever is supposed to come out to my home. I have pictures of this proof. The porch is tearing off of the front of the house. It is a hazard for my two children to walk on the porch for fear of it collapsing. Given that I have no other choice but to complain about something that was written in the signed documents and was not met by Express Homes or the specified partners. I can and will fix this myself with no help from Express Homes who has told me time and time again that they will "send someone next week". If this was taken care of as stated in the paperwork I would be completely satisfied with my purchase.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.
    • Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.
    • Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.
    • Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.
    • Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.
    • Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.
    Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information