2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.40/5

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

BOTTOM LINE

D.R. Horton Homes are ideal for buyers who are ready to purchase but don’t want the hassle of customizing features. D.R. Horton offers energy-efficient features and smart home functionality.

PROS

• Energy-efficient
  • Smart home devices
  • Move-in ready
  • Financing available

CONS

• No customization
  • Limited availability

Top D.R. Horton Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended … Very thorough and patient. I can say anything else except I had [a] wonderful experience.

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR Horton homes. As of today's date we have a few small issues but none that can't be rectified by our warranty department..

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

What is D.R. Horton?

D.R. Horton Homes are available in a variety of floor plans, sizes and styles. To visualize the design and amenities offered by D.R. Horton, visit a model home or tour a finished community. You can schedule in-person visits to a model home during listed business hours, and newly finished houses can be scheduled for viewing directly from the digital listing on the D.R. Horton website.

Characteristics and features of D.R. Horton’s homes include:

• Open floor plans
    • State-of-the-art appliances
    • Energy-efficiency
    • Integrated geofencing technology
    • Multiplatform wireless network
    • One-wire connectivity
    • Hands-free communication.

You can access all functions of the home’s smart devices on the Qolsys IQ Panel, which allows you to use a variety of smart device products from one central location. From the Qolsys IQ Panel, you can adjust the thermostat, set the alarm, lock and unlock doors and set lights on a timer.

D.R. Horton closing costs and home prices

Prices of D.R. Horton homes vary based on the location, floor plan, size and style of the home selected. Most listings do not include closing costs or any related fees, so the price listed may not be 100% accurate. To determine an estimated mortgage payment you can afford, use the mortgage calculator on D.R. Horton’s website. Financing and insurance are available through affiliates of D.R. Horton Homes.

dr horton homes house

Photo (c) D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes FAQ

What is included in a D.R. Horton home?
    A home built by D.R. Horton features energy-efficient construction, integrated geofencing technology, a multiplatform wireless network, one-wire connectivity and hands-free communication. These features are powered by the Qolsys IQ panel. The panel is compatible with a Honeywell thermostat, Amazon Echo Dot, Kwikset Smartcode and Skybell. Some features may be unavailable in Hawaii.
    Are D.R. Horton Homes efficient?
    D.R. Horton uses energy-efficient roofing materials, siding, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Every D.R. Horton home features at least one appliance or product with an EnergyStar designation.
    Do D.R. Horton Homes come with appliances?
    Yes. D.R. Horton homes include Whirlpool appliances.
    Will D.R. Horton negotiate prices?
    The company is open to negotiation with any buyer. When negotiating pricing, consider using D.R. Horton’s immediate inventory and preferred vendors. You may receive a lower price.
    What is a D.R. Horton smart home?
    D.R. Horton smart homes are equipped with alarms, smart thermostats, wireless interior lighting controls, electronic deadbolts and smart video doorbells.

Is D.R. Horton a good builder?

D.R. Horton can be a good choice for buyers who want a move-in ready home that doesn’t require any remodeling. While D.R. Horton is a reputable company, it’s essential to vet the builder and conduct an appraisal. We like the affordability, convenience and capabilities offered by the company, so if the price works for you and you find a design and floor plan that suits your needs, we recommend D.R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

In reading some of the negative reviews for DR Horton I was compelled to write about my own experience. My husband and I purchased a home in the Landing at Rocklyn in Clemmons, NC. We have been in our new home for about 2 months and are loving it. From the day we walked into the sales office and met Maria we were sure this was the builder for us. She was nice, knowledgeable, and very approachable. She showed us several homes and never once pressured us to buy. She answered any questions we had very quickly and followed up with us. We had to change our closing date twice due to unforeseen complications with the selling of our home.

Both times I contacted Connie at DR Horton in the mortgage department and she changed the dates with no problem. We also cannot say enough about the construction manager Robbie. We had our new home inspected (which was their suggestion) before we closed and he found a few small problems (which I think they have to). Robbie fixed them with no questions asked. During our one month walk through, Robbie addressed every issue we had and even fixed the problems he could right then. I would highly recommend purchasing a DR Horton home.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Maureen. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you and your husband enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

My wife and I purchased a D.R. Horton home about 5 months ago, and I have to say, at least so far, we’ve had no bad experiences with the company or the build of our home. About a week into living in the home, we had plumbing back up, but we called our subcontractor who worked on the plumbing to come out using the emergency number and they came out and fixed it right away. Thankfully, it turned out to just be debris caught up in the lone. There were a few cosmetic issues during the walkthrough that we wanted addressed and they were, very promptly, by our superintendent. Then about a month after living in the house we discovered a couple more minor cosmetic issues that, again, were quickly and promptly taken care of by the superintendent, Keith.

We had a couple of tiles with smudges on them during the walkthrough and Keith immediately had the subcontractor who worked on the house come all the way from Orlando, about an hour and a half drive from our neighborhood, come out and fix it. Keith was very professional and understanding through the whole process, knowing this was the first home my wife and I would own together, and was always there to address any concerns or issues we had. Very professional with a great attitude and making sure any problems we had were taken care of right away.

We had also heard of problems with their mortgage company and preferred lender, but the communication and process with us was smooth and painless. Paul, who showed us the home, was the best. He still, to this day, several months after living here, checks in with us and makes sure everything is ok. We came by the house every weekend to make sure things were coming along well and he never was bothered by or minded us doing so. All in all, so far we’ve had no issues and the home appears to be well built and we love it. Subject to change down the road, of course, given wear and tear, but everyone with the company that we’ve worked with has been nothing but first rate. Would recommend based solely on our experience as of right now.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Matt. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 2, 2020

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended ❤. My next was my Lender Samuel M, who later acquired my account due some mishaps. But it was quickly rectified by him he too. Magnified excellent customer service and thorough explanation of each document it acquires. Never made me feel like I was bothering him. He too is highly recommended and behind the scenes were HBC representatives Easter L and Evelyn S, and I can't forget my wonderful loan processor BH and the builder Mark T. Man what a great guy. He explain our home to us. Very thorough and patient. I even saw him after I close. Had a question. Came over while he was working on another stop to assist. Wow. I can say anything else except I had an wonderful experience.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Sandra. Thank you for taking time to share your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Hi! I am hoping my post can help some one else on making a decision before doing business with DR Horton or anyone else. This is my first home purchase and I couldn’t be happier! My experience was truly a positive one and although things we not perfect but i will say my builder did everything he could in his power to fix anything that was not to my satisfaction in a timely fashion as possible! I purchased in Boardwalk subdivision in Lancaster, Texas. I purchased a model home and got a lot for my money. My best friend purchased her first home from DRHorton in Saganaw,Texas 2 yrs ago and is now purchasing her 2 home from them as well. I would recommend DRHorton to anyone who wants a great value for your hard earned dollars!

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Darlene! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to have you as part of the D.R. Horton family and hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My boyfriend and I just purchased a home from DR Horton and absolutely LOVE it. Our sales rep was awesome and our builder was amazing during the first walk through. ALL our blue tape objects were fixed before the second walk through and they have been very responsive when it comes to smaller items being fixed in the house so far. The builder gave us his personal phone number to call or text if we had any problems or questions. The builder really made us feel that we were the only buyers even though they had sold 8 other homes that month and he should have been very busy.

Our house was a little pricier than the surrounding neighborhoods but with the customer service we have had and the people at D.R. Horton who made us feel special, it was a lovely experience. Not to mention the 1 year "bumper to bumper" warranty we have on the house in case we need any repairs done asap is AWESOME! We love the area and the backyard is WAY bigger than any other builder was offering in our price range. D.R. Horton takes into account that you don't want 10 ft of backyard and a neighbor so close you could open your window and touch their house. We have had an awesome experience so far and really love our little home.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Brittany! Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome to the D.R. Horton family. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

We own a DR Horton home and are selling it. We decided to buy another DR Horton home and had to use their financing in order to qualify for the special pricing. After almost four weeks of the mortgage gal assuring us that my student loan would be able to count as only .5% she came back two weeks before closing and said we had to use the full 1% towards my DTI. This caused us to lose the home without enough time to find other financing. It will be four weeks on Friday we have been waiting for our Earnest money refund. They promised it in two weeks and we still don't have it. Normally when you buy a home you are returned your earnest money if you are unable to get financing within 48 hours. This is terrible business practice and I will never buy another DR Horton home again. I should be reimbursed interest because there is no reason anybody should have to wait this long for a refund.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Delrae - your check was placed in the mail this morning, as previously discussed.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

We bought our D R Horton in May of 2015. Let me tell you I could write a book. First thing paint specks all over flooring and I had to get up because the contractors would come work a hour and leave and then never come back. Secondly, cracks and holes in our concrete driveway and they came and put a little concrete in holes to no avail. The concrete was so thin you could see the red clay. Thirdly, after a year are so we noticed mold around the top of our garage door and the wood was rotten. The siding was not put on properly. They did fix that problem. Fourth, siding on west side of house was bowing and they had to take siding off and chip away at our framing walls to fix this problem and in the process they knocked a hole in our sheetrock. This was fixed.

Fifth, the sewer line was installed with the pipe running back in the direction of the house. Toilets, tubs, showers shooting sewer out in our house. They said it was not their problem but after getting our own plumber out and they wouldn't touch it DR Horton finally sent someone out to fix problem and ended up having to dig our yard out halfway down driveway because all the pipes was installed wrong in the ground. Sixth, our son died in January 2019 in our home so we couldn't live there any longer because of this. We put our house on the market and we had cash buyers but they did a home inspection and found out that the shingles on our roof were not nailed on properly and they were curling.

We spent almost 8 hours a day trying to get someone from DR Horton out to inspect it and they sent a roofer that said he would come put some glue on the shingles. This house is Gold Fortified and we had several roofers out and our insurance adjuster and they said the shingles were not the thickness they should have been to be Gold Fortified and that there was suppose to be 6 nails and there was not. I'm telling you after months on the phone with the local office (Dan **) and the office in TX (Customer Care) they did absolutely NOTHING. TX kept passing the buck to local office. I begged Dan ** to come to our house and take a look and he would not.

We ended up having to paid for our roof to be redone to the tune of $7500.00. Our insurance company after looking at roof said they would not cover our roof if we had a storm because it was installed improperly. We had no choice but to fix it regardless if we sold or not. One more thing on the roof. When the new roofers came to replace shingles they had to add more nails to plywood and the fascia boards. We have videos. This added more stress to our already grief. I would never buy a DR Horton home again and I will spread the word.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

We signed a contract on a new build in June 2020. The seller was good. Sold us on the house. We saw the house coming along each week. It was almost too good to be true. We did our first walkthrough four days before closing. The house was at best 75% complete-so many paint and texture issues. The final walkthrough was the day of closing. Still several issues. Under sink cabinets were scraped up on the back frames. We’re STILL waiting on the cabinet company to come and fix it. The plumbers came and removed the piping in our master bathroom and we cannot even use the second sink. The driveway was a MESS. Mortar was built up. They came and repaved 1/4th of the driveway. It’s a totally different color from the other 3/4 of the driveway.

ON TOP OF THAT. We purchased a fridge during our signing with some of the closing cash. The fridge was dented when we looked at it during the walkthrough and noted it. They came to replace it and gave us a CHEAPER FRIDGE. Claiming the one we had was an upgrade and the one they gave us is the actual one we were supposed to receive. Which is ridiculous because we paid 1500 towards the fridge and the model they gave us is only 1100. The doors are crooked, and the drawers inside the fridge are broken which we found when we pulled out the vegetable drawer. I don’t know how they can justify this replacement and they have had horrible communication since we closed. The cabinets in the kitchen are all misaligned and look bad. I’m extremely disappointed and will not be using this builder for our next home. Hopefully they see this and offer us some assistance.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I bought a DR Horton home in Magnolia Pointe, I was promised repairs would be made to my house before I closed, or the 1st week after. I had to pay for 2 door threshold trim pieces and a cabinet door to be installed by a private contractor. I had to repaint front entry way, there was plaster everywhere. Had to paint front and back porch, concrete was horrible. I have tried multiple time reaching out, with no response from anyone. I closed on my house8/26/20 and have still not heard from anyone. The builder James didn't even walk the house with me, to see what repairs were needed. I finally gave up and, do not buy a DR Horton home!

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Eric. We have escalated your concerns to our management team. Please ensure all requests for warranty service are submitted through our website.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We put money down on a house, a substantial amount of money for 2 hardworking people with 5 children, on a house that was not built yet and on a lot that we talked the company into letting us purchase. A few weeks later, we had to move out of state and could no longer obtain FHA financing for the home. They had not even gotten the permit to break ground on the lot. No work had been started. They refused to give us back our entire deposit, which was our retirement fund, even though we couldn’t get financing per their contract.

D.R. Horton Homes response

We understand your frustration. Work had begun that you did not see and we were on schedule to completing your home on time. Financing may have been available to you through a non-FHA loan. D.R. Horton is in full compliance with your sales contract.

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information