DR Horton Homes

5265people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with DR Horton Homes:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

When we bought our home at the end of our street, they were all brick. Now DR Horton has bought the rest of the lots in this subdivision and they are putting cheap, thin vinyl siding on these homes. This greatly reduces the value of our brick homes. And we are not happy. Their landscapers haven't been seen in almost a month and the grass around the vacant lots is getting very tall. Someone is keeping the lot around the sales office cut but that is all. Our homeowners' association fee is ridiculous compared to the value. We were hoping for a community pool but it doesn't look like this is going to happen.

Our closing date originally was to be 7-29, then it became 8-17, now it's supposed to be 8-24? Would you have confidence in these predictions? Our current quarters, a hotel! In the meantime each representative has a different reason for the delays... None very plausible!

We were so excited to purchase our 1st brand new home & ended up going with Dr Horton. Upon doing a walk through we noticed a very large water stain in the garage ceiling. We were assured via email that the problem was taken care of, because I wouldn't close without it. However, 3 months into owning the house, the same leak appeared. We had them come out, as it's under warranty, and they said I had to wait until summer to find the problem as it could be the HVAC. That was a seven month wait.

From the moment we closed on this house we have had to have the window company come for torn screens & a broken frame. The sub floor has had to be repaired twice & still needs additional work. The electrical co has had to be here 3 times for major work. The painting & drywall company has been 3 times. The cabinet company has been here 2 times to fix doors & missing pieces of molding. This has been the worst house buying experience I could ever imagine. We were supposed to move into a brand new home & have that warm fuzzy feeling, yet we've been living in what we consider a nightmare. The quality of product that DR Horton puts out is terrible!!! Please do your research before ever purchasing a home from them. They do not value you or your time.

I purchased my home July 2013. I began having problems with my heating and air in November 2013. It has continued until now. No heat in the very cold winter, to no air conditioning here in July 2016. I have one unit outside and a zone board in the attic to switch the heat and air upstairs to downstairs. It has fallen down, not worked properly... The installer came several time and now! The coils had to be replaced, my ac keeps going out, there's been a freon leak, valve had to be replaced and a manufactured welding problem.

I've contacted the BBB to see if this will be replaced. The parts are under warranty but the labor is terrible!!! As of today, I have no ac in my home and have the windows up. I have contacted my homeowners insurance company to see what can done through them. I really thought I got a great deal on my home... All I've gotten was headache after headache!!! Cheap flooring, hvac and materials!!!

Closed on June 24th, which was rushed and home not finished. I have tried for a month to get the corrections done on our new home. NO RESPONSES, BY TEXT, PHONE OR EMAIL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

I purchased my home in December 2014. Right away there were issues with the closing - they rushed it for 30 Dec, but weren't ready to hand over keys. After I got that fixed, I wasn't given the right keys! If the person who walked me through the house that first time had not still been on the lot, I wouldn't have been able to get in for another 3 days (it was December 31st). I immediately noticed things I'd requested be done, weren't. I was promised again that they'd be taken care of during my first inspection. I admit they did take care of some of the items, but not all of them. I won't go on about all the other issues, but the main one is a large hole near the outside stairs at my house. The fix action was to place a cinder block and stick in the hole. What was at first 1-2 feet big/wide, is now about 3 feet big/wide. I'm now looking for legal representation to sue. Good thing I kept pictures and emails.

I purchased the model home in my subdivision in January 2008. I was thrilled to be in a new home that no one had ever lived. That is, for a while. Shortly after I moved in I notice that the carpet in the closet of my master bath was soaking wet. I called DR Horton and they sent someone out right away to fix a drainage problem they said was in the tub. I have to point out that the tub had never been used. At any rate, the repair was made and the carpet replaced. Then about a year later the carpet in my living room started to bubble up in a couple of places. I called DR Horton and they said it was not covered. I paid to have the carpet stretched. That held up for about two years and then the carpet began to bubble up in the living room again and in the dining room. I decided to have it replaced with an expensive laminate floor. About three months later it started to buckle in the same place as the carpet had bubbled.

The flooring installers attempted to fix the problem, but in less than 6 months, it started to buckle yet again. At this point, I had the laminate removed and replaced with new padding and new carpet. It looked good and held its shape for about a year. Then it started to bubble up yet again and in the same place as the original carpet. Once again I had the carpet stretched. Now here I am in July 2016 with bubbles in the carpet not only in my living room but in the dining room and two bedrooms. One bubble in my living room is so big that I have almost tripped over it. I am actually fearful that someone will trip, fall and sue me. There has to be something terribly wrong with the slab this house is built on. I cannot afford to replace the carpet again. DR Horton will not return my calls. Another thing... my central heating/air went out and had to be replaced just a few days after the warranty went out.

I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER DR HORTON HOME AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE (NOT EVEN MY WORST ENEMY) BUY ONE OF their houses. One of my neighbors had to have her entire bathroom floor ripped out, including having the tub/shower removed because water leaked under the tile and she actually had water standing in the floor. DR Horton would do NOTHING to help. Her house was newer than mine. I firmly believe that these people take whatever shortcuts they can to get a house built and sold.

I purchased a home from DR Horton in August of 2010. The home was already built and sat on the market for 18 months prior to my purchase. The house was built on a slab foundation on backfilled lot. I was never aware the lots were backfilled to build the home sites. I requested DR Horton to send someone out and look at the stability of the slab because I noticed cracks in the outside brickwork of the house, then found a large crack in the slab itself running completely across a corner of the master bedroom. Finally, DR Horton contracted RamJack to put in 16 piers around the back of the house and through the slab itself. They also installed french drains all the way around the house because we discovered that water was flowing through the slab at 7 gallons per minute. RamJack has to put sump pumps into the hole they were installing the piers in.

Now, a few years later I contracted with Lowe's to install laminate flooring in my home and they refused when moisture readings return at 19%. I've contact DR Horton and their warranty company about the continued moisture problem because I have a 10-year structural warranty. Their response was that this did not fall under their structural warranty and they would not help me. I am currently seeking legal advice.

Another bad experience with our Dr Horton house that was built 3 years ago. The water line installed by Horton has just cost us $1000. Last year we had to replace the hot water heater. A new house should not be a money pit.

I'm now in the process of building a Horton home in Mobile Al. My experience so far has been horrible. Lies after lies. I'm so afraid after reading all the reviews we've made a very bad decision. We signed our contract in April, put down our earnest money, and it's July and all we have is a red pad of dirt. Our closing date was suppose to be in Aug. We got a call saying it's now Sept. All of my request have been denied. When we first start everything was "YES, we can make it happen." Now that they have our money it's been "NO, it can't be done." I'm very discouraged.

This is suppose to be the happiest time for myself, husband and children and so far it has not been. I've picked out brick color and now been told the color I picked out is discontinued... They're waiting on more samples to come in. I asked for hardwood floors throughout my entire home, now I've been told it can't happen. The lot I picked I was told I couldn't get it. I HAD to take the one they told me to take. After we signed the contract we were told that we had to take the upgrades that were "secretly" put into the contract. I wish I would have read all these reviews before I signed on the black line. Sincerely, an unhappy soon to be homeowner...

We are part of a new development in Prominence down in Florida. From the beginning of the sales to the purchase which have been full of lies from anywhere to what the community was offering as part of the fees to the date for closing. The closing was supposed to be in April 2016. We are now in July 2016 and fighting over mold and a lengthy punch list. Which guess what they lied about. Even with pictures and full documentation they covered up the mold with wet sheetrock, this after receiving an email that the mold had been re-mediated. I didn't trust this since there were so many other incidents that I won't even list. So, I went back and cut a hole to check and as stated there was the mold, even more mold and wet insulation and wet sheet-rock. Guess what, they tried to lie again and say that we were vandalizing the unit... REALLY! They threatened us.

Currently we will not close without proper documents from the remediation and mold free certificate that they said we would have to pay for. This is against the law, by the way. So, now we are again trying to close and won't. To top it all off, they sent a front person to close who wasn't even a closing attorney, he too threatened us with keeping our deposit if we didn't close on D.R. Horton's schedule.

The workmanship of the unit (it is a threeplex) is horrible. The workmanship is cheap not to mention the punch list before closing was a page and an half. And they were forcing us to close... we have not as of date. Still fighting... The staff has been uncooperative and really downright ugly. I could not or would not recommend a DR Horton home to anyone. If you are considering or stuck with a home by them be your own advocate and fight for your rights. Don't let them BULLY you as that is their way of doing business.

We recently purchased a DR Horton homes in the Lexington SC area. We are originally from NY, we picked our lot and our plan. Everyone seemed nice and pleasant to deal with. Since we lived in NY while the house was being built we kept in communication by phone, email and text. But none of the photos ever showed the back of the lot. We were told that the property (.4 acres) would be cleared graded and seeded. We arrived for our walk through and found an 8 foot tall earth embankment 15 feet from our back door with roots and rocks. We were promised that the property would be leveled, graded, seeded and we would have clear line of site from our patio to our property markers. We have dogs and a small child.

Once we closed on the property we were told that they could not abide by their original agreement because of the septic system. But they would cut it back and give us a tiered pressure treated retaining wall with stained access the upper level. The retaining wall was shots down by corporate bosses due to cost. I now have the 8 foot earth embankment which spans the width of my entire property dividing my property in half. I have made several calls to the local, regional and corporate office but all fell on deaf ears. 3 of my neighbors have had similar experience. Please do tons of research on your home builders before committing to them. Beware DR Horton works under numerous names throughout the country.

Will you buy my house back from me? We built in a subdivision that boasted beautiful, full-brick homes. Agents Vickie **, Russell **, and contractor John ** promised us that it would stay that way because DR Horton tries to help maintain property values. Four years later, the new homes are all vinyl, fake wood flooring, gutterless, and have exposed block/concrete foundation (which is against our HOA restrictions). We have seen our appraisal values go down, and now that we have listed our house for sale for 7 months now, we keep getting the same comments from prospective buyers: "We LOVE the house, but the neighborhood seems to be going downhill." "We are worried about the resale value in your neighborhood." We have tried to reach out to our HOA representative, Charles **, but have received no response.

Multiple members who built in "Phase 1" of our subdivision are very upset with the way DR Horton has pulled the bait and switch with the neighborhood. We have showed the house over 40 times, and every critique is about the neighborhood. DR Horton has reduced the value of our homes so much that now, renters are becoming homeowners in our subdivision, but still with a rental mentality. The yards are unkept, multiple homes have cars that stay parked in the road for weeks at a time, accumulating trash and other debris, and now 5 bedroom homes are being sold at a base price lower than the purchase price of our 4 bedroom home. DR Horton, will you back buy our home? We will pay closing costs and your agent fees just to make our payoff!

Since initially reported to the Deerfield Beach, FL office, approximately August/September 2015, our 2nd story bathroom and hallway have been plagued with a condensation problem that has resulted in mold growth on the ceiling and walls. Despite numerous phone calls and two on-site visits, the issue continues to present. We fear the mold will continue to spread among our home and possibly turn into a toxic mold, and therefore, health issue. Dr. Horton has yet to resolve this important safety, health, and moral matter. It is now outside the warranty period of 1 year, and this situation is still ongoing.

We have attempted to work with Dr. Horton in a cordial semi-aggressive manner to get this issue taken care of, but no one seems to really care whether or not the issue is repaired or not, and one worker that they send out passes the buck to the other, and so on so forth. We have been left no other choice other than to escalate this matter to authorities that may be able to push Dr. Horton to do what is right. No new home owner and a new construction home should have to deal with this mess or experience any mold issues whatsoever. It is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. We will continue to contact other agencies such as the U.S. Department of Health, Consumer Affairs, Florida State Attorney's Office, and local media outlets until our problem has been finally rectified and put to closure.

These folks are a bunch of con artist. They smile in your face and lie about everything damn thing. They don't stand behind the repairs that need to be made on a freshly built house. You give them the list of repairs that need to be made and they point the finger at everybody and argue over who should fix it. Then they half ass fix it and get smart with you when you call them on it. They lied to everyone in our subdivision about their lot line. They marked off a huge yard space the whole time the house is being built. And then the day before closing they change the stakes and your yard is the size of a freaking porch. Almost everyone in our subdivision went through this. We were told that a common area was to be left for the kids. The greedy pigs shoved 2 more house there and now the kids have nowhere to play. No pool, no play areas, nothing. They won't even put freaking flowers at the entrance of our subdivision.

This is the 5th house that I've had built in my lifetime and DR Horton is the worst EVER!!! The owners in the subdivision can't even sell their houses due to the ** work that was done. Why should we have to pay outside contractors out of our pockets. They are CROOKS!!! Use someone else and save yourself some heartache. We are currently speaking with an attorney to see how to get a class action lawsuit started.

Recently I was shopping for new homes in Columbia area and come across the new homes in Manors Of Belleclave-WildWood. They have very bad communications as the agent called me after I left 10 messages. Finally when we go and visit site, it was so bad with lot of highway traffic and voice. Even though the area is good, but the reputation with DR Horton and Crown was too bad. We decided NOT to buy home with DR Horton.

I have been living here for 28 years, and DR Horton bought the property around me on three sides. I have a 30 foot undisturbed buffer, but every time someone moves in, the buffer is their backyard and they cut down all of the trees. I call the marshal, and he makes them replant the trees, but they only replant a few. This problem could have been prevented if DR Horton had told them at the closings about the 30 foot undisturbed buffer. I have spoken with the homeowners, and they said that they were told that they could do whatever they wanted with it. If DR Horton had planted the cypress trees around my property, like I was promised at the zoning meetings that I went to, this problem wouldn't be happening.

The lots are so small that if they fell out their back door, they'd be on the buffer. I don't live in Providence Walk, but I feel like I do, because they've got houses in front of me, beside me, and behind me. If there was a zero instead of one star, they'd be getting a zero. All of these workers throw their beer bottles on the buffer, their food bags, their supplies, their paint cans, their saw blades, and I've talked to them several times about it, but they have no respect for me.

We have been living in a DR Horton house for 2.5 years now and besides having a horrible yard- landscaping is not their specialty. We have had slight issues with our HVAC unit not efficiently cooling our upstairs both summers. This recent April we had it completely stop working and called Darden & Green (DR Horton's contractors for HVAC units) as well as 2 outside companies: Freedom & Overflow. It was one of the outside companies that found faulty wiring that had caught fire, fried & disintegrated resulting in the issue. Not only was it not in spec it had actually become a fire hazard.

To replace this it cost $470 and led to a replacement of one of the valves which cost close to that amount. I contacted warranty who said they never reimburse and who said since it was out of warranty they would do nothing. When I told them I would hire a lawyer because that was negligence on their part as the general contractor and they just happened to be lucky it didn't become a huge issue until after their 1 year warranty had expired they said to send the proof (pictures and work report). After they saw it was in fact faulty wiring through the pictures, they then said because we didn't contact them first that was why they would not reimburse us.

We are two weeks away from closing on a DR Horton house. They sell houses - it's up to you to make it a home! And no, we are not part of the "DR Horton" family, no matter how many emails they send telling us that we are! The sales reps are only concerned about signing the contract and the closing date so they can receive a check for their four or five hours of work. If their lips are moving, they are lying. They push hard for the buyer and buyer's lender to close, but they won't provide required information in a timely manner. They won't answer questions we submit via email. They call so they can deny anything they say and then change the story to fit their narrative. Once you sign the contract, kiss your sales rep goodbye. You'll be better off without them running interference for the Horton team. At this time, we have ceased communications with the Sales side of Horton. I can't wait to go to closing - with Horton Title. Should be interesting.

We completed an initial walk-thru last week. Next week will be the final walk-thru. If they don't complete the list to our satisfaction, we will go to closing and sit there. Nothing says we have to sign. I'm more than happy to take them to arbitration. We have honored the contract; they have no standing and will either make it right or terminate the contract and refund our deposit. It's a business decision for them. They don't give a rat's ass about selling you a house. They can sell that house within two weeks in this area.

During the initial walk-thru, we were asked to sign paperwork before we addressed the punch list. One document was related to existing trees, how they won't warranty landscaping, etc. The three lines at the bottom are the "gotcha". You sign that paper and you instantly accept all landscaping, grass, trees, and drainage. We didn't sign and placed drainage, grass and trees on the punch list. Thus far, they seem to be working quickly thru the punch list and doing so correctly. Two trees, one we paid extra for, will have to be replaced. They planted live oak trees that were pruned into a ball. Imagine what those will look like in a couple of years! They have a couple of options, let's see how they handle it.

Don't let them bully or rush you into anything. Don't sign anything after signing the sales contract until they have done everything they are supposed to do under the contract. They will either complete as expected or return your deposit. They have no other recourse. And you don't have to sign at closing if you are not satisfied with the product. Don't be afraid to walk away.

The house we are purchasing is well built and some of the best finish work in the Houston area. That is why we chose Horton. I think we will receive a fair value for the price but I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for their customer service. If this were a buyer's market, they would freakin' starve to death. Note to Horton - once you approve and sign a sales contract, remove your lying sales reps from the remainder of the process. Hire a couple of customer service people who can assist the buyer and their reps in a positive way. Everything will move along more quickly and you won't be selling a house to a pissed off customer at closing. I can't wait for the closing date! I am loaded and ready for battle! And yes, I'm a pissed off buyer!

The black plastic pipe water supply line used from the water main connection to the curb shut off valve where a water meter would be installed was not properly installed using the manufacturer's recommendations. This black plastic supply lines have been breaking from the large rocks and gravel used instead of sand under and over the plastic pipes used to protect the plastic pipe. As matter of fact when the trench was dug up, following the pipe, the entire trench material used was the same. No sand or material was used to protect the pipe. Large rocks have been found over and under that damaged pipes and is now costing the homeowners thousands of dollars to repair. This construction defect was revealed when the plumbers dug up the main street to locate the water leak.

Schuler Home warranty was called and we were told our warranty expired and it is not their responsibility to repair the water break. Watercolors at Makakilo where I live has had 12 water lines breaks since 2012, a few months after the warranty expired. Each repair exceeded $15,000.00 to get fixed. The repairs was made cutting the broken piece of pipe about two feet in length just to repair the leak, and not replacing the entire length of the damaged pipe. The distance from the water main to the curb shut off valve exceed 100 feet in some cases, and the replacements cost of the entire plastic line would cost the homeowners thousands to get repaired or replaced.

The homeowners are now being told by the Board of Directors that the water lines break repairs fall under the homeowners maintenance responsibility, and each homeowner will now be paying thousand of dollars to repair their water supply lines which was assumed to be a common element, and repaired by the association. This repair/maintenance responsibility was not included in this/my purchase contract agreement. My home purchase contract is for the purchase of the structure since we are a single dwelling unit, classified as condominium. The association under the condominium property regime provide water and sewage services, which is paid by our maintenance fees. The problem is now, I/we must pay for a water supply line repairs from the water main connection under the street, which is in a common area element, and not part of my structure which I purchased or own.

DR HORTON will not clarify their home purchase contract when the development was built, that the water main supply lines leading to the curb stop valve, is a common element and is the responsibility or belongs to the association to maintain and repair any water leaks when needed. The Amended and Restated Declaration of Condominium Property Regime of Watercolors at Makakilo Condominium Map No. 1470 filed with the Bureau of Conveyances, 21 November 2002 is questionable as to the maintenance responsibility for the water supply line installed by the developer in a common area, and is not part of the structure owned by the homeowner themselves.

I was buying a house from DR Horton and my first walkthrough I noticed real bad concrete work. The concrete was so bad I could take my foot and kick it and it would crumble. The slab in the garage area was already cracking with several cracks in it. Ask an employee named Mark what he was going to do and he said "Nothing. It's normal" so I rejected the home and DR Horton stole my deposit of 5000. Look here folks. If you thinking about buying a DR Horton home don't waste your time with these folks. DR Horton is blood suckers. Gangsters. They spend the day looking for the next prey. Don't be another victim to this dirty company.

It is no surprise that DR Horton does not participate in the Consumer Affairs certification program. 468 top complaints against DR Horton?!? Let me be number 469. I agree with the other 468 listed complaints... they lie. They really lie. They lie about everything. If the lips are a movin' they be a lyin'. The green space shown with beautiful landscaping on huge signs and brochures is now townhomes while acres and acres of space are still available. They lied. The street lights. They lied. No Sunday construction. They lied. Home warranty. They lied.

Enough about lying. To top it off they have now opened a dump site next to my house. Yes, a dump site. Dump truck after dump truck comes rumbling past the house with a cloud of dust and dirt to follow. No cover on the trucks. Half the time the back gate on the truck is wide open. Needless the say the road is an absolute mess now. My cars are coated with dirt. The house is turning colors to a rustic dirt finish. I can't play with my pets for fear of the trucks. I actually don't enjoy stepping outside of my house anymore. I am 64 and have owned numerous houses. I cannot believe the way DR Horton treats people. Please don't buy from DR Horton. Use a local builder that you can talk with in person. One that has good reviews.

Real Estate law has actually been changed due to the exploits of DR Horton. Yes, new law has been passed in response to DR Horton's exploitation. Look it up. You will be amazed. This company is one of the worst corporate citizens in all of America. P.S. to the satisfied 2-week owner of a DR Horton home... just wait. You might be living next to a dump site in the near future.

My property backs a DR Horton development where the land was raised approximately 4-6 feet. On April 18, 2016, Houston experienced heavy rainfall and our property was flooded with about two feet of red water. We knew it was run-off from the DR Horton development because of the red dirt that they used to raise the land level. Our barn and everything in it is completely ruined. We were afraid for the horses and mules because they were drinking the water and one of our chickens went missing. We didn't see any detention ponds to catch the water.

After being dodged for days, we spoke to a DR Horton representative who told us that Houston had experienced a "500 hundred year flood event" that left the entire city flooded. I told him that the property next door to us wasn't flooded because DR Horton hadn't ripped out all the trees and shrubs behind them and raised the land level. They claimed absolutely no responsibility for this flooding but clung to their engineer reports which has nothing to do with people and their lives. Thank goodness no one got physically hurt.

We decided to buy a home in Corona de Tucson over a month ago. Originally I was told our closing date would have to be after I moved from California to Tucson and had already started my job. I was a prior military member and so I decided to shop around with USAA for a loan. I was able to close with them quickly and before I started my job (this isn't unusual for this company to close before a member starts work). Once I told DHI Mortgage, which is a part of DR Horton, I would be going with USAA for the loan, they wanted my business so badly they said they would ask corporate to make an exception in my case since USAA could do it. They got back to me, saying corporate would allow it and I would close May 3.

It is now May 6 and we are still in a hotel because come to find out yesterday our processors told our agent they were waiting for me to start my job!! They lied to me!!! I could have went with USAA and been in my home by now! The processors I am working with have not returned by calls in 3 days. (BTW they are also both horrible and lack customer service and honesty.) The seller at the DR Horton home has tried to figure things out for us, but no one is getting us answers besides that they are waiting for me to start work.

We are in a hotel incurring over $100 a day in room and food, storage for our household goods, and my children were supposed to be enrolled in school by now. This is a nightmare! If you could avoid buying a DR Horton home - do it! Not only all of this, but we were told closing costs would be paid by the seller and come to find out we are paying about $2,500 for closing costs! They lie just to get your business. I am writing reviews on every social media account I can find informing as many as possible of the bad business!

I bought a DR Horton home in 2015 after my husband passed away. I sold my previous home and moved to SC, to move forward with my life. My home had just been built and was completed, so I didn't have any say, as far as the countertops, appliances, etc. Not many of the items on my punch list were fixed. There was a chip in the tub, deep scratches on the glass at my front door, ceilings were a mess, you could see every piece of tape, etc. I was assured that my punch list would be taken care of, but hardly anything was taken care of. I still can't get anything fixed and was treated like a child, that didn't know a thing. The things I was told were so untrue and I asked them not to insult my intelligence. I hate being talked down to, especially since I had subcontracted the building of my first home.

If DR Horton cared about its customers, they would hire people to work for them that knew what they were doing. Paint on my walls is watercolor paint. There is barely one coat of paint on any of the walls. If you get a spot on the wall, you can't wash it off. Bathrooms should have a semi-gloss paint on them, but they use the cheap watercolor, that picks up and soaks up all the moisture. There is no reason for me to have to spend more money to repair, or replace anything in my new home. I hope this helps others to beware of what you are getting, before the big purchase and never sign a repair list until you are positive everything is done properly.

I purchased a new Horton home and moved in on April 01, 2016. During the walk-through for the acceptance of my new there a number of items that were noted to the DR Horton agent. Items included the kitchen sink faucet that is not properly installed. The cold water is very HOT! The gas hot water heater exhaust vent is not properly sealed but I leave the garage door open until it gets fixed. Granite counter top blemished, needs touch up paint, front yard landscaper POCO VERDE contracted by and provided by DR Horton does not respond to my messages, abundance of small broken shrouds in the backyard and so on are only a few of my complaints. Hope it gets done.

We bought our house in Casa Grande, AZ 3 yrs ago. DR Horton built it in 2006. We are 2nd owners. We are in a HOA subdivision of some 300 homes. We had a plumbing blockage almost 1 wk ago that manifested itself by overflowing in the master bath overnight and spilling into the master bedroom. The blockage itself was eventually identified as being in our front yard sewer line. 4 days into digging up our front yard, it was discovered that the main sewer line from our house to the city line had broken couplings and missing ABS pipe. They are still digging and repairing as we speak. So far the bill has surpassed $5000.

This is NOT covered by home warranty or home insurance since it is not under the house but in the front yard. Our neighbors told us this has been an ongoing issue in the subdivision for at least the 8 years they have lived here. A 10-yr old house is too young to have this type of issue. And a 10-yr old house is probably too old for us to be able to go back to DR Horton for restitution. BUYER BEWARE!

Buying a DR Horton home in Santa Rosa Beach Florida. We put in an offer on a home and gave them the Earnest money. The home was already being built so we could not make any changes. Jennifer ** was the sales person. She cancelled the contract kept my money 7 days before my approval because I refused to give them an additional 1000 un-refundable deposit for upgrades that I never asked for. This company is so dishonest but perhaps this is a blessing to not get further involved with these people.

I had to final inspect twice only to discover I had the same & now more serious issues to be concerned with. Bottom cement step cracked/pulling away from sidewalk. Told me it's normal. Contracted items: states floors are 5" hardwood. They are not. Many dings & dents with some cheap light looking material showing. Not repaired to my satisfaction & no warranty. Iron balusters were missing. Was told I am in error. I'm not. Blinds are still missing. Unable to access backyard due to missing step. Told this is normal (meaning my dog can't use the yard either). Unevenness of yard (I could not walk on it). Very poor job of grading & packing the land both front & back. See crack issue at front step. Sloppy finishes in front of, in & around garage. Shoddy fence job. Huge hunks of wood not lined up. Poor quality. I have cancelled the purchase and am trying to get back my deposit or a portion of it.

Just to make long stories short. Be aware of this builder. What the other reviewers reported here is so similar to what we have experienced - shoddy work, low quality, poor services. If even their manager lies all the time, that tells you a lot what kind of business DR Horton is. We are still in disbelief about what happened to us. Only hope our added review/voice to this site helps at least one future family make better decision in their home purchasing and avoid the terrible experience we had with DR Horton. Do not buy from DR Horton.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.
  • Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.
  • Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.
  • Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.
  • Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.
  • Best for D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Compare Builders & Developers