1.31/5

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

884 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

Refuse to admit mistakes, and correct. They piss on your leg and tell you it's raining. Obvious problems of poor attention to detail, incorrect grading, improper installation, standing water with mold is all a figment of your imagination!

Original review: March 19, 2019

The house is nice if you accept the reality that it’s a small step up from a modular home. That being said the customer service is horrendous. The lot I chose was a corner lot that appeared to be fine but unfortunately I chose it off of a 2D map so the flat corner lot that I had in my mind’s eye was not to be. Upon visiting the lot in person I was disappointed to see the house was perched on a small hill. I immediately tried to change lots only to be told the house I wanted went up in price several thousand dollars but they would gladly waive the few thousand dollar transfer fee. Keep in mind that this was the following few days, prices in this sellers market were going up daily so maybe I was too hasty but shame on me for not doing my due diligence.

The prices were going up faster than I could save for a downpayment so I had to bite the bullet. I can live with a slope but when the rains came and washed away a large portion of the corner of the lot that’s when I became bitter. The house building process proceeded along ok albeit slowly, but I always brought up the erosion problem throughout. I constantly was assured that the erosion would be fixed closer to the end and here we are, the end is near and the result of the lot is an embarrassment to whatever tiny amount of pride that DR Horton has for their end product. A fence that cuts through the middle of the slope for a beautiful 4’ tall “privacy” fence where any passing car can see into the kitchen or dining area. And a backyard filled with loosely packed dirt that has already washed away with a mere sprinkle of a rainstorm.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
    Original review: March 19, 2019

I met with Ericka to possibly buy a town house. I was not greeted with a friendly smile. Instead, she was inquiring about my income in a condescending matter. As a professional and with over qualifying credit. I felt very offended about her questioning if I knew what the town houses went for. As if I could not afford it. I knew off the back from my experience with her, this company does not prioritize customer satisfaction. I politely excused myself as I was not going to give her anymore of my time.

Original review: March 19, 2019

This is our 3rd new construction home and by far the worst company we have ever worked with. After a job transfer to Charlotte in 2016, we had to purchase a home quickly. We trusted their sales agents and subcontractors to deliver honesty and integrity and constantly find somewhere else they cut corners. They were not truthful about the plans for the neighborhood we purchased in and handed out materials that did not match their intentions. They do not care about customer satisfaction once the contract is signed. We would never purchase another DR Horton home and suggest everyone else is very careful before they do.

Original review: March 14, 2019

We purchased a new home from DR Horton who missed closing 3 times! I have issues with Master Tub and Floor, Dining Floor, and Tile. Master Tub sounds like it is going to fall through floor, you walk in bathroom and tub creeks and makes noise, due to floor movement. Dinning room floor has soft spot and Tiles are falling off countertops. Attempted repairs from Paul have made My home worse, I haven't heard anything in weeks! Buyer Beware Paul is an idiot and DR Horrible hires individuals with ZERO construction knowledge! My surrounding neighbors all have very similar if not exact problems as I do! Tubs were installed incorrectly, Tile installed incorrectly, Subfloors probably not nailed off correctly! Be Careful!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: March 13, 2019

My lot has been graded wrong. I'm having nothing but issues with Dr Horton fixing it. They have tried like 4 times and it’s still a issue. Now they’re telling me they’re done with my yard. I can't even mow my lawn because of a French drain on my lawn with rocks on it. It’s a liability with Windows getting broken from rocks flying off the lawn mower. I have a hill in the middle of my backyard from them trying to fix it. The house should of never been built in this lot. The grading in my crawl space is running uphill to the drain so the water just sits under the house. They’re telling me they’re going to put a sump pump under the house because of the drainage issue.

I have told them I have needed one from the first month. It’s now been a year and a half. The boss Paul has no idea what he is doing. Everyone comes up with a game plan on my yard and he changes it up and it don’t work. I love my house but there is no way if something happened today that I would be able to sell it with all the issue. I also have a crack in the ceiling a bad bathtub numerous issues and I'm not the only one on the neighborhood.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 9, 2019

I bought a Hayden in Dec. 2018 and the salesperson Heidi was amazing. But prior to moving in there were issues which needed to be fixed. I filed warranty online and yet my bathtub downstairs still has cracks, the paint is peeling from the ceiling and the paint has not been touched up when the builder marked areas needing fixing. A customer service lead Tom ** came out and I was promised the cosmetic issues would be fixed! The molding in the house has some deep gouges in it and the upstairs bathtub has crack on side. I still have yet to get someone to address and fix these issues and they closed my claim. And I just want the stuff fixed. Hopefully this escalated to a resolution or they can send me money back so I can hire the people myself.

DR Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Original review: March 8, 2019

DR Horton sells you beautifully on the positive in buying new construction because of the warranty service provision. Well, if you can manage to get them scheduled, the headache doesn't stop there. I had my 11mo service set for 8-noon today and the first guy shows up telling me he can't fix the cracks in the ceiling because they will just reappear in 3 months. I told him I wanted it done anyway and he sighed and said he was tired already and all he had done was walk through the door.

The carpenter showed up next to repair my kitchen cabinets which were pulling away from the wall but after a quick glance said that I would need new cabinets and asked where the delivered units were located. Well, nobody ordered cabinets because the manager did not know it was necessary. So, now I need to take another day off work because none of these trades work on weekends. So...after being told all the work would be done today, I am literally looking at only nail pop patches. Paint will be another day and yet a third for cabinetry. This is a joke and I wonder if the builder understands that failure to address issues under the agreed warranty is a breach of contract. In any case...good luck and stay informed!

Original review: March 8, 2019

I bought my first home in Aug of 2018. I have been dealing with warranty issues nonstop, and the main issue is getting something scheduled. When you do get it scheduled, half of the contractors don't show up to do the work. Then you don't get any follow up with DR Horton so you have to start the process all over again. I had wires in my breaker catching on fire! I have dead trees in my yard. I have shoe molding that was taken up to replace flooring just laying around broken because the flooring people don't replace that, I have to reschedule yet another warranty (when I actually get someone to get back to me) day.

Meanwhile, I have to keep using vacation time because apparently no one works past 3 pm and on weekends. There is a neighborhood in my area that have signs up warning people not to buy from DR Horton, I wish I had paid them attention when shopping for my home. I am BEYOND dissatisfied with the customer service that this company is providing.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 7, 2019

I entered into a contract with DR Horton on 2/23/19 and wired $5,000 deposit on 2/25/19. DR Horton agreed to terms their own lender DHI Mortgage would not accept. DR Horton refused to make it right and contract was voided on 3/4/19. DR Horton won’t return my deposit for 3 to 5 weeks. No one will return my calls, text or emails. DO NOT CONTRACT WITH THIS BUILDER.

Original review: March 2, 2019

Bought our new home one year ago and the 11 month warranty repair service is a joke. Items are incorrectly timed for repairs. We were told it would take 1/2 a day and after taking 2 days off work, the workers told us last night they had to get another work order to return to finish the work on the original work order. (Making at least a 3rd day) We will now have to take more days off from work. The workers are not thorough, have done a sloppy job and left us with more of a mess than before they started. On top of that, our yard also has had drainage issues due to bad grading and it's just a runaround. They send someone out to resod some areas but it's the same result. You continuously have to keep repeating the same issues and it just seems like they test you to see if you'll give up and live with it.

Most people gain a peace of mind buying and knowing that they have a good warranty for years to come but it doesn't matter if the warranty service is not good. We would never recommend this company to anyone thinking of building a new home due to the way it handles its warranty service. I wish someone had warned us. PLEASE BEWARE, be informed and take reviews seriously before selecting DR Horton.

Original review: March 2, 2019

We purchased a home form D.R. Horton 5 years ago. We had it customized. We purchased in June 2013 and by October we were having problems with the central unit. They came out many times to replace copper, add Freon, replace the thermostat, add a second return because the first one wasn't big enough. At my year warranty I had plenty of things that they had to come in and fix. Sheet rock tape coming off, screws in the walls showing, central unit still not working right. I tried to get them to replace the unit but all they did was band aid it until it was out of their warranty. I have spent over $1000 to get it fixed. The problem with the whole unit was caused by the installer not setting the levels right. The electrical switches make a arching sound so I have to replace all of them. Sheetrock tape is coming off again.

Paint in the bathroom is peeling off the walls. Which I understand that after 5 years things are going to happen and I need to paint, but the central unit should have been fixed by them. The master bath shower floor has cracks in it and is getting holes. This should last longer. The switches shouldn't arc. The hardwood floor is falling apart (something else addressed on my 1 year). My gutters are coming apart at the seams and the screws are coming out of the house. I would never recommend them or ever buy anything from DR Horton again.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: March 1, 2019

Purchased a brand new Townhome 3/31/2017 having issues with roofing. When you contact your local warranty company that's associated with DR Horton all you get is the runarounds. They're so quickly to state to you that you're out of warranty. The company fail to realize that a brand new home with roofing leaks and problems sounds like a builders default. With the home less than 2 years old with brand new roof should be reasons to look into the issue. The company acts as if they're doing you a favor by fixing a default on the builder's end.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Purchasing dream home for a good price has come true with DR Horton, I am very thankful to them for finding me a good home. But if I have to rate their 3 inspections after buying home, I wish I can rate 0. For DR Horton 60 day, 6 month and 11 month warranty inspections are mere done checklist than customer satisfaction. They have rejected more than 60% of the genuine issues not covered under warranty, home owner's maintenance/responsibility. If I were you I wouldn't do it, if you get this fixed it would leave a patch, we are not sure, if can get the right color, so better if you don't fix it. Dirt settling is normal especially after new construction. Water leakage issues, rain water leakage (lentel getting rusted), drainage/flood water system not leveled, still water on the side - (home owners maintenance), fence not covered, sprinklers hitting the structure not covered.

Then what is covered DR Horton 11 month warranty? Put a clause something like anything that exceeds 100$ we are not going to fix it clause will fit perfectly!!! When they fix something, they won't clean the place and when I complained inspector said it's better than what they usually clean. Just save your time during closing, get everything fixed at that time and don't waste your time in writing emails, following back and forth during these warranty inspections.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Mr. Jhadey - We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. Our Rowlett office has been contacted on your behalf to further assist you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Updated on 03/04/2019: Wrote a review last week about bad experiences with DR Horton Homes and they responded to me to contact their Corporate Care, which I did. Now I have a response back from Corporate that they forwarded it to their Divisional Management Team for review. What a joke this company is. Their construction representatives have a limited amount of construction experience. Hope no one uses this company for building your new home. Lots of luck.

Original Review: Purchased new construction home in Laughlin, NV by DR Horton. Home to have RV site with electric, water & sewer hookup for RV. Driveway access to RV site has partial 6" curb obstruction that causes damage to RV & tow vehicle. DR Horton says they won't do anything about this. Approximately 45 homes have same problem, some have A/C in RV site. Construction superintendent office was right across the street from many of these sites. Apparently he has no clue about construction and never views construction sites. Some homes have driveways to go to front doorway. What a joke this place is. Recommendation - find yourself a more honest & trustworthy builder. DR Horton doesn't stand behind their product, just throw homes together and make money!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

To be honest, any new home built will have issues. What amazes me about this company is how they deal with warranty claims. They do not supervise the labor that is hand-building their homes. Once closed, any warranty items you file are hit and miss in terms of whether they decide to send someone out to take care of it, or decide to ignore you completely with no explanation and no apology.

Some of their contractors are decent quality, and others should not be touching people's homes. While I really like the design and features of my DR Horton home, I find the construction quality and attention to detail to be absolutely substandard in many areas, to the point where I find it hard to believe it should have passed city inspections. I've fought long and hard with DR Horton to get them to fix legitimate warranty issues, and now I'm tired. All I can do is warn any potential future buyers to be very, very careful because once you close on your house, you are on your own. This company does not stand behind its product.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I bought a new DR Horton home in July 2018. It’s not March 2019 and I still have several issues. The floors are buckled, drywall patches everywhere throughout the house, couldn’t use our second bathroom for the first 6 months of living here, huge jump in the floor, leaky basement. The list goes on and on. I’ve been fighting with them for 8 months to make things right and they still do nothing to fix the issues. STAY AWAY. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

DR Horton Homes response

Hello John - thank you for your comments. We have shared your concern with our Delaware team for their review and action.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We moved into a brand new home build by DR Horton in Hayward in Sept 2018. The house had several issues that the customer service didn't fix despite of several warranty request submission. One of the biggest issue is our kitchen countertops that has chips, pits, cracks and discoloration. The builder is not honoring the warranty. The customer service guys are mansplaining and intimidating to get good reviews on surveys. We regret buying this home from DR Horton. Poor quality of construction, worst customer service.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Tazeen - we have contacted our Bay Area team in California and shared your concerns for their review and action,

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Warning, do not buy from this company. We have lived in a brand new built house for only 5 months. I went to turn on my kitchen lights and it cut power to the half of the house. Do yourself a favor and take the time to find a better builder. One that takes pride in their work. We have contacted the warranty people with no answer. We had to call the electric company that is our 'emergency' contact for electric and they are only open 9-4 with an hour lunch from 12-1- they can't come out till Tuesday which is 5 days after discovering the problem. This is unacceptable for a new build. And if we didn't contact them literally 5 times, we would have had to wait longer. There is a reason these houses go up fast, do your homework- I really wish I would have.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Rebecca - we have contacted our Melbourne team with your concerns.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Buyer beware!!! I purchased my first home through DR Horton in 2018 and my experience has been horrid. Not only is the workmanship incredibly poor, it takes several appointments and repairmen to fix ONE issue. I've had to take off work AT LEAST 6 times to accommodate the schedules of the repairmen. DR Horton has a complicated process where they have one vendor drop off supplies and another vendor installing it. At least twice, the vendors forget to drop off supplies (or drop it off at the wrong location) so the service request cannot be completed and they force you to reschedule.

Moreover, I've had all types of issues with this home from a leaking roof to unfinished flooring. DR Horton cuts corners, slaps these homes together and sell them to you without any consideration into the quality of the work. It's extremely upsetting because this is my first big investment and I thought I did my due diligence when buying. I will be selling this home as soon as I get the opportunity.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I bought a DR Horton on Dec 28th 2019. First off for a new dwelling the quality of the finish work for example the painting was poorly done, the plastering of the walls was substandard, carpentry most of the moldings around the bedroom doors and those attached to the middle of the walls cracks started to appear within the first month after moving in. Bedroom ceilings not properly done. Totally uneven and roughly done. Screw heads protruding through the paint and is quite visible whenever you turn on the lights. Totally disappointed in workmanship done in the entire house. Main entrance door not painted properly and closes very tight doesn't have that curbside appearance for a main door.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We are 10 months in to living in our new DR Horton home. We actually read reviews here before purchasing and were hesitant about purchasing a DRH home after reading reviews and other various sources, but our DRH sales associate leaned upon us that there are always going to be disgruntled customers with any business. Our realtor said she had never heard of anyone having any kind of trouble with DRH in our small town.

We talked to a few neighbors beforehand and all had minor issues. We viewed the neighborhood and homes and were just in love with the model home we wanted. We thought, surely what are the chances any of those things could happen to us. But HERE WE ARE! **I should note here if DRH cared for us home buyers and treated us with care and took care of what they needed to do, we would easily be giving DRH a 4/5 star rating even with the major issues we've experienced. We love our home, neighborhood, amenities. BUT... ten months in and we have major unresolved warranty issues.

Buckling Floors throughout our entire home. After about a week of purchasing our new home, we noticed a few buckling spots in our wood floors. We contacted the warranty department and they sent out the flooring company to do moisture readings several times over several months and we were told our repairs were being reviewed by a regional manager and would be fixed soon. Several months later, as the seasons changed, buckling is now occurring over our entire house. We have buckling in the dining room, office, entry hall, hallway, living room, and breakfast area. After living in the home now for 10 months and no resolve or action, our realtor got involved and escalated our issue as high as we could, we were told our warranty was voided because we mopped our floor with too much water (this was out of the blue and emailed to us by the regional construction manager).

We responded that we mopped about once every 2 to 3 weeks with Bona floor solution, which is an approved solution to use on our floors. We had to escalate it again and finally we were told the flooring manufacturer would be sending out a 3rd party inspector to look at the flooring issues and he would be able to tell what the cause was. After the inspector came, we were told it would take up to 30 days to get the report. The delays and effort to avoid promptly fixing the issues have been extremely frustrating and we are considering pursuing legal means at this point since we don't see any other avenues. We do not feel the warranty department has been allowed to properly resolve our major warranty issues and it has been very frustrating dealing with delays.

We did have an independent flooring installer come out and confirm to us that the flooring was installed improperly by either not given proper space to expand or was not allowed to acclimate in the home prior to install, or was installed before the a/c was installed and needed to be completely ripped out and replaced. The DR representatives should certainly have been experienced enough to recognize the cause immediately, and in my opinion telling us we had mopped the floor too much was just another method to avoid the expensive repair and delay fixing something that was not installed correctly in the first place. (We enclosed a few pictures of buckling even though it is hard to take pics of.)

We have substantial flooding in our front and back yard every time we have a heavy rain, which is quite often where we live. It is the rainiest city in the U.S. (not Seattle, actually). We have had 2 tropical storms since living here in less than a years time. Our yard is like a retention pond, but since the flooding doesn't stand for "48 hours," DRH doesn't want to do anything. It is completely unacceptable. We have 5 kids and the backyard is like a mud pit and can't play back there. It's not fair for us to live with that or to sandbag at the next potential tropical storm because it eventually drains over a day or so.

Our flower beds, front walkway, and drive all flood with rains and has several inches of standing water. We had a friend visit during a rain and she had to take off her shoes at her car just to come inside! We have not been able to install a fence in our yard pending this repair as well. **DRH did try to make an effort to re-grat our yard when they were forced to regrat all of our neighbors yards on our street due to the city getting involved, but ours was left behind so to speak, but it's still not right and a sore subject here.

We have footprints in our concrete all the way from our front door, front sidewalk, all across our driveway in several spots. We have warranty claimed several times with no action. Our back patio is scheduled to be resurfaced for a 3rd time after it has been done wrong twice now. The concrete just crumbles to dust. We live with constant foot dust throughout our home and has ruined a brand new expensive rug from it all. We've had a roof leak, small plumbing, and electrical issues, which DRH has all repaired. Other things to note with DRH, the carpet is cheapest possible. It already looks 7 years old and we will be looking to expense all new carpet already in the next year.

At this point, we are planning to pursue legal counsel for our wood floors and flooding. It's a shame that a wonderful DRH experience, even with all our issues, could have been a great one and we would have been left happy homebuyers, if DRH would have just stepped up to the plate and fixed our issues. We just want DRH to make things right at this point. Generally we feel they will do anything to sell you a home and as soon as you sign the paperwork they will do anything to avoid spending money to correct costly mistakes during construction.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Please do yourself a favor and pay a little more for a more quality builder. Our four year old house has construction debris in the back fill that has caused a sinkhole that broke our sewer drainage pipe. This is has been going on for three weeks. The lady that we have spoken with from DR Horton now says she has never gotten our pics still and tells us our home warranty is up. Well we do have structural damage warranty for 10 years so when the front of my house falls in the sinkhole I suppose they will cover it then. Unless you have ample time on your hands to constantly contact their incompetent staff for the runaround, find a different builder. There is a reason they are called "America's Builder" and not "America's #1 Builder".

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Our family (**) wanted to purchase a home in a DR Horton community. We selected the community because it would have allowed us to enroll our disabled son in a particular school (DR Horton was aware of this). Our experience was horrific. DR Horton purposely quoted us higher prices for the homes that we were interested in. They ultimately sold the homes to other buyers (non-**) for much less than what we were quoted.

The day we were scheduled to sign a purchase and sales agreement for a home, they told our realtor that they would not sell us any home because we weren't the "right fit." They sold the house to another buyer (non-**) on that same day we were scheduled to meet with them. It should be noted that we previously owned a DR Horton for ten years without issue (They were under different management at that time). I feel that all buyers should be aware of the type of company they are dealing with. Do your research on this company. There are much better builders out there (they have better morals and quality homes) and I'm glad we found one.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

We have now been in our home for almost 2 yrs. We have had over 30 visits from DR Horton representatives to correct issues such as forgetting a to install a downspout, a bent AC valve that took 2 months and over $800.00 in PGE bills to figure out, install of all new carpet, bathroom countertop that was not installed properly, driveway that looks like it has leopard prints (we were told by closing representative that this would go away within a year), doors that will not close due to settling, master tub not installed properly and so many more. All of these are cosmetic and can be corrected, but they require you to take off from work and half the time the representatives or repair people do not show up.

DR Horton is famous for trying to wear you down in hopes that you will just give up. We were recently told that our driveway (although it looks terrible) does was it was intended to do. We were sold on a model that has a perfect driveway, but ours will do what it is intended to do. On another note, when purchasing our home they offered incentive to finance with them. The amount was large and knowing a little about finance a good deal. What you should know is that during our closing process, they did not pay off all they were supposed to and not until I received a bill was I aware of this, I had to fight title company to get this corrected and on two separate occasions they sent us information on other buyers doing business with them (closing documents, deed of trusts). If our home hadn't sold so quickly and we were not under the you must close by this date or we will not honor the price that you negotiated we would have never bought this home.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Please read my story: My name is Binh **, recently purchased a new house in this subdivision. We were very exciting to live there. However, things have gone very bad so far... Workmanship were terrible, ceiling leaking, gaps start showing on most of trim molding. Nail pop also start to showed everywhere. Garage slab has several cracks. I have been trying to contact someone just get some paint information but no respond.

Beside these issues. There were a matter that happen regarding gas service which builder's office could handle better way, but here what happens: When I first moved in, I called a place call Allconnect, they help me to either transfer or start up utility services like power, gas, internet, cable and trash. I thought everything were done (since I moved here from Louisiana, don't know nor understand much of these process). Apparently gas service wasn't done properly...but I have no idea because there were no notice nor letter mail to me about that.

Suddenly... On last Friday's later afternoon 02/15/19, gas service was cut off without any warning. I scrambled to call city of Lawrenceville but no luck due to after business hours. I email them and getting the respond that the builder has order to turn off gas on my property on Friday and I have to come to City Hall in person to apply and restore the service. But I have to wait until next Monday to take care of that. Why was Friday???? Could the builder have some courtesy to send some sort of notice and even knock on my door and let us know it before decided to turn it off.

My family have to live without heat/hot water/couldn't do any cooking in this cold weather through weekend. That was horrible and un-human, and we're beyond upset. That the way Dr Horton company treat people like this? I hope not... I'm not sure I can referred any of my friends, family members or my Vietnamese community or any prospective buyers to come for purchasing a new home. I'll bashing how horrible you are in social media... "THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THESE ** HOUSES"

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

DR Horton slap their houses together. My house is only a year and 5 months old, and already my sliding doors are leaking water underneath. The garage door gets stuck all the time, dishwasher is leaking water, some walls are uneven. Just not a well built home.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I am writing this to hopefully prevent someone else from making the same terrible mistake I have made. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy a home from this company. I purchased my home in Alexander Pointe subdivision in Hopkins SC nearly one year ago and have regretted it every day since. It is impossible to count the number of hours I have had to miss from work for someone to come out for repairs. And when the repairs have been done they have been just as noticeable as the original complaint. If you care anything about your happiness, satisfaction, and peace of mind you will run as far away from this company as you can.

A/C worked no more than five times in less than a year. Sheetrock issues that still look like they were done by the visually impaired. Place in backyard that holds a small pond of water for days after it rains, which the company has refused to address. And the HVAC technician that just left for the umpteenth time just stepped through my ceiling! These are all facts. Absolutely no exaggeration. Please spare yourself some headache.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Kevin. Thank you for sharing your comments. We have escalated your concerns to our management team in Columbia and Charlotte for their review and action.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I read reviews prior to doing a DR Horton purchase as well did my own research by using my experience with them. I had zero issues as well received prompt attention to anything that has happened since my purchase within this 1st year. The only issue was a blown out circuit breaker for my garbage disposal. I would recommend them and doing your own homework rather than listen to the one-sided views of some of the reviewers. You do your research and consider what square footage your receiving for the price you pay. Make sure your home is one that wasn’t build on backfill, my home was build on dugout ground we have had zero settlement cracks cement or walls. Let’s see how year 2 goes. God bless the USMC AND AMERICA as well keep AMERICA moving in the MAGA agenda. VOTE FOR AMERICA AND VOTE TRUMP 2020.

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you for your comments Dan, and thank you for your service.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We closed on our new DR Horton home on December 28, WARILY. Before closing we had so many issues with the home, and the builder promised to resolve them, and what was resolved would be fixed with the 30 day punch list. The biggest issue is the floor in front of bathroom upstairs. It was (and is again) uneven, creaky, and it bows when you step on it. They “fixed” it, or so I thought. Walked over it today and noticed a large deep indention in the carpet, and now when you step on the floor, it bows and is super creaky and uneven AGAIN. Whatever they did to patch it up and ensure we closed, clearly didn’t work.

Before we closed we wrote multiple people trying to get a straight answer about what was causing the issue with the floor with no avail. One person said it was the trusses, one person said it wasn’t, no one told us what was actually wrong, and we assumed they fixed it. Not only that, they were supposed to replace the shutters, and both times the shutter guy has come by they’ve sent him the wrong color and style, and the last time he came he said he’d be back the next week...that was a month ago. I really wish I would have backed out when they pushed closing back. Beyond LIVID. I wanted so much to love my home.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Kristen. Thank you for sharing your comments. We have escalated your review with the management team in Charleston for their review and action. We encourage you to visit our new website and Contact Us for future assistance.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information