1.34/5
Based on 96 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Last updated: April 21, 2018

635 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 21, 2018

Bought a brand new house by DR Horton in a new subdivision. The air broke 3 times within the first year and now the bathtub is leaking through the downstairs ceiling. The warranty company will not respond.

Original review: April 21, 2018

We literally have 49 open work orders. Tonight, our patio door will not close, I repeat. It WILL NOT CLOSE. Oh, our bathroom isn't level, our stair are not code, our patio is not code, our county thinks WE HAVE A POOL, and THEY DIDN'T finish a roof. The company is embarrassing and their customer service is a joke. Kevin **, I can put that online as they've ignored my issues for 14 MONTHS!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 19, 2018

I purchased this home from the initial homeowner back in October 2017. The house was first built in 2015. The original owner went to closing on the house in July 2016. This house is structured as a townhouse, where I am located in the center. During the March windstorm of 2018, I lost several shingles off of my roof. I immediately contacted my home owner's insurance company to report a claim. The claim was assessed less than my deductible, so of course leaving me to have to pay out of pocket for the repairs. Then I thought about the builders of the property and reached out to them, which is DR Horton. I went online to submit a warranty request, but found out that the warranty for the roof was only for one year and it had expired from July 2016. Ironically, the two homes that I am in between, nor any of the other homes on my side of the street and right in back of me lost no shingles. Needless to say, I was a little perplexed by this!

We I attempted to plead my case to a representative of DR Horton, by email I was told that there was nothing they could do, because the warranty had expired. I once again reached out the a DR representative that is based in the community here I live. She seem to have some compassion and empathy for my situation, but at the same time said there was nothing they could do. She indicated that this March had unusually heavy winds, and it was out of the builder's control.

However, at the same time, she indicated that the builders purchase materials based on quantity and not quality, so the shingles on the roof that were purchased were meant to sustain winds of 50 MPH and no more, because of the geographical location. I was really surprised that she shared that with me. After all when one purchases a new roof there is a 10 warranty which comes with it and for any builder constructing news home gives only one year on a warranty, is absolutely egregious!

Well, weather conditions have changed and continue to change every day, weather has become so unpredictable, we barely know what season we are in anymore.I believe it is unfair for me to have to be responsible for the shingle repair, when clearly the install of the shingle on the portion of my roof was shoddy job, which is no fault of mine. If the builder would be considerate enough to assess, each homeowner on a case by case basis, and to give some kind of assistance, would be more than fair. Going forward, my recommendation would be to change state law to require home builders, to extend the roof warranty up to 5 years. After all, they receive huge tax rebates and write offs to build these homes in our communities. One year is just not enough time! Don't know if anyone out there is been dealing with anything similar, but if you have please post?

Original review: April 18, 2018

I purchased my house 9 years ago. I live in Bessemer, Alabama. My house was the last house to be built in my community. Late in March, I was awaken by the sound of water in the walls. I could not locate the water leak. I had a major water line to burst in my house. I am finding water spots throughout my house. I contacted the Birmingham location. I filled out a warranty request online. I left a message for Jerry **.

Today he still have not returned my call. However, I did receive a call from an employee of Dr. Horton. I explained to her my situation. She made it seem like it was my fault Dr. Horton hired a shady pipe company and allowed them to put cheap pipes throughout my home. (My house is just 8 years old.) She claimed was going to call me so he can come out and assess the damages to see if I was liable for this disaster. She was quick to say she was helping me out with this problem. I still have not been contacted as of yet not by the plumber nor Jerry **!!! I AM STILL WAITING!!!

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 13, 2018

This email was sent to DR Horton Corporate Consumer Care yesterday morning, one day later I'm still waiting for their response while the insulating & drywall is being installed. Do NOT trust them: "D.R. Horton is building a single family home for me at the address noted above. The model is called Allex. I have signed an agreement with your sales agent Paul ** back in February, 2018. I paid a premium lot price to be on a lake with the rear of the house facing south. I told Paul & your site supervisor Jimmy, that I planned to put in a patio & screen cage the entire width of this model. Last week Jimmy even helped me measure the depth. According to Paul Hughes, I had around 8 feet to work with. It turns out that I have 7'9", no big deal.

This past Saturday, April 7, 2018, I stopped by the house & noticed the heat pump copper tubing was running from the rear of the house outside the master bedroom through the entire attic, an incredible distance. All homes in the neighborhood have the heat pump on the garage side near the third bedroom. This is the most efficient location. On Monday, I explained to Paul & Jimmy, my displeasure. Jimmy said there was nothing they could do about it that the City of Bradenton made the change. I told Jimmy I would be calling the city to get a waiver. Jimmy told me I better hurry because he was ready to insulate & drywall, meaning it would be too late to do anything. Paul ** said he was upset about what was happening but there was nothing he could do.

I called your Manatee county supervisor, Brad ** & left him a text message. This is his preferred means of communicating. When Brad called me back, I told him the location of the heat pump on the outside wall of the master bedroom would be too noisy for the bedroom & the outside planned patio. I also told him the efficiency of the heat pump would be affected. I said being located on the south side of my house would have the Florida sun all day, everyday. I told him the distance for the coolant to run would adversely affect the unit. He disagreed & said the distance would be similar to a two story house. I told him I would help pay for relocating the heat pump to the garage side of the house. I would also pay for treated lumber to build a platform. Brad said the county made the change & he could not do anything about plus he could not slow done is production. What a customer advocate he is.

Yesterday morning I talked to a City of Bradenton Permit Specialist. She said the city did not make the change. Last night, I received an email from the city's Planning & Development coordinator, Myra **. Myra stated, "Things like heat pumps, a/c units, and the like for a single family home are not regulated by zoning. However, they may not be placed within an easement." The information Brad ** gave me is false. Someone from D.R. Horton made the location change because of water drainage problems in the community. Back on Monday, Paul **said Jimmy had put a STOP work order in. Much to my surprise, I stopped by yesterday afternoon to see a crew putting up the final pieces of insulation. So, this morning, I assume the drywall has begun meaning it will be too late to relocate the copper piping.

So what do I do now. I can contact someone at the corporate level, contact the Florida Attorney General, contact investigative reporters from various news stations. So, you can either be an advocate for me to see that the location of the heat pump is changed or reimburse 100% of my deposit. Please let me know how you want to proceed. Best Wishes for a quick resolution."

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Bob. Thank you for contacting us. We received your correspondence and have escalated your concerns to our West Florida management team for appropriate resolution.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: April 12, 2018

DR HORTON IS A TERRIBLE BUILDER. We do not recommend anyone buy a DR Horton home. There have been so many issues we could write a book. When we have more time, we will go into details. They hire very poor contractors who create more damage than good. DR Horton does not have project management processes in place to follow through and get the job done right in the first place. They try to 'save the company $$' at the buyers' expense.

After closing over three months later than expected, they rushed through preparing our Villa for closing during the last couple weeks. It was an awful experience. Obviously, causing us 'the buyers' frustration, confusion, disruption and $$. Since closing on 3/20/18, much time has been wasted waiting on contractors after DR Horton had received our money in full (and refused to place $$ into an escrow account) even though the Villa was not completed properly on closing day. As of today, we still continue to have electricians, granite, cabinet contractors coming in.

Thank goodness, there has been one NEW SUPERINTENDENT assigned to our Villa since we closed. His name is Norm. He has been the ONLY DR Horton person who has worked with us and the incompetent contractors to correct/resolve the many issues/problems with our Villa due to POOR DR Horton PROJECT MANAGEMENT and cost savings.

This is only one example: The tilers work in the dark prior to electric and do not even use a portable light - hard to imagine. They had put dark tile on our white bath tiles. Then tried to grout over it. After we insisted the tile be removed and replaced, they removed the tile into our bathtub without covering the tub. Next, the bathtub had to be resurfaced due to stupidity. The painters, grouters, cleaners poor acid wash and chemicals directly onto the lawn to clean their buckets, so we now have hay instead of grass. Perhaps because DR Horton had the landscapers show up weeks before the pavers, tilers, cementers were finished. Again, very poor management by the crew who worked on our Villa prior to our closing on 3/20/18. Glad we now have Norm to help us out.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Greg and Debra. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your contact information so we can research your concern.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I purchased a new home from DR Horton. Back in New Jersey, I was in construction myself. I've visited the Home site before concrete was poured and noticed that the report did not have the proper coverage for concrete and wasn't even inside the formwork in some areas. I brought this to the site supers attention and he looked at me and said this has been approved by the building department. Knowing what I said to be a fact, they poured it anyway.

Next, they started framing using steel nails in pressure treated material. This material is corrosive to any kind of steel and they will just Rot away. I was told this is the way they build It. Not for me I told them, got out of my contract, hopefully, I will get my money back. Beware. They really don't care if it's done right as long as it's inspected and approved. So you know I went directly to the building department and asked him what was going on with photographs I have a complaint in and I will do follow up. They have not heard the last from me. And if you're smart, stay away from them.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi William. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your contact information and we will be happy to look into your concerns.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We built a house in Neighbor Point Firestone, CO mid 2016. We took ownership Oct 2016. Had our list of issues to be corrected. Bathroom tile burnt and coming up from the shower area, almost all kitchen cabinets were missing a screw, very fun when you are not expecting to be hit in the head with a brand new kitchen cabinet (And don't get me started on the color palette or lack of for the whole home. They need a designer in this century), one of three garage doors not painted, backyard on closing papers said it was level (took a year to get done. First owners on the block and not able to put in a fence or yard). Our contact man was named Patrick. He NEVER wrote anything down.

Needless to say our tile which was to be FULLY replaced was glued in pieces, our closet rods were not even screwed in, there are big raised areas under our carpet which have gone down probably construction trash. (Our neighbor with 4 small children had TONS of nails under hers.) It has not been a good first year in the house starting like this and to top it off we had a HORRIBLE smell coming from our sink. In the trap was some meat probably from construction which we smelled and thought was sewer gas. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE OR RECOMMEND A DR HORTON TO ANYONE. And to top it off I have an so called "Engineer" for them that works from home when I worked as one I had to leave my house and he does shady things not to be done on business time. It's five o'clock somewhere.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Barb. I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with your home. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your contact information so we can look into this.

Original review: March 28, 2018

We bought a DR Horton home in September and there has been NOTHING but issues. We have had bathroom flooding, electrical problems, heating problems, carpet problems and everything in between. The latest issue is the backyard is flooding because we take in all the surrounding house. Contacted the home warranty people and go figure. It’s not their problem. STAY AWAY from DR Horton!!!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had been working with DR Horton since September 2017. They seemed nice at first willing to help. Once they got me pre-approved, they told me they definitely will help me with no problem since they do their own financing. In January, I selected a house, moved forward with the paperwork and was surprised that no one was telling me what to do next or what other documents they need. I would have to contact the seller to find out what to do next. She would tell me everything is going good and don't I worry about anything. Well March came around and this guy named Ali and his secretary, loan processor or whatever she is Darla, hit me with a huge list of documents I had to provide to them asap because I am supposed to close March 29 2018 and then rudely telling me to not delay in my responses to her because it can delay my closing date.

I sent her an email telling asking her (Darla) why is she barely requesting all these documents in such short notice when she had whole time to request these things a long time ago with less stress on me?? I told her I didn't appreciate that because the things she was requesting take time to get together and I'm a single guy with a job with only two days off a week and I can only do so much to achieve getting all these documents on a timely manner "on her terms". I didn't get back an apology of any sort from her and proceeded to ask for more redundant documents that I had already provided. Never once did she ever called me on the phone to introduce herself nor would answer my calls. After submitting all documents required over and over, I had to literally explain to her that the answers to her writings were right under her nose if she only looked closer.

Ali then calls me and asks for my 2016 and 2017 taxes. I told him I hadn't done my 2017 taxes yet. He said he can use my 2015 and 2016 taxes but would have to do a rush appraisal on my rental property in Belton, Tx. I told him if I use my 2015 and 2016 tax returns, it won't show I'm making that much income to be approved for this loan but if I went to go do my taxes for 2017, I can go to the IRS tax office, do my taxes, get it stamped and fax him over the acceptable tax returns for 2016 and 2017. These taxes show me making much more income. He calls me later and says it'll be ok with just the 2015 and 2016 but he would request a rush appraisal for my property for 600.00 that "I" would have to pay and he would just need for my house to show I have 25% equity which I believe I have. We proceeded with this and now we are down to 10 days before closing and according to them...we are on track and doing fine to close.

Well I make arrangements with movers, bought new furniture, scheduled furniture delivery for the 29th and all other things... Well... 6 days to closing, while I'm literally walking the property for the pre-walkthrough, Ali calls me and tells me "there's a slight hiccup buddy" your appraisal came back less than 25% equity and we can't proceed with the loan unless I get someone to co sign! 6 days to closing he tells me this!!! What a ** bomb drop, incompassionate, unorganized joke is this!?? I had EVERYTHING ready to move in and 6 days to closing they tell me this?? I am beside myself. I spoke to my sales coordinator Melinda and asked her why they did this to me? She says she's trying to help. I sent an email to her that night telling her this is unprofessional and unacceptable and to please help find a solution for the inconvenience and stress they have caused me and carelessness, unorganized process of the whole thing.

I have asked to reduce the price to make up for the inconvenience since I have complied with everything they have asked from me in their terms at their time and convenience and not me the buyer. I have been calling Melinda and texting her and she didn't reply once. I have the opportunity to DR Horton to step up to the plate and help me with another solution but I guess they don't care the stress they have put my family and I through. I don't even know if this merits legal action for the stress and inconvenience but it would be nice to get a little justice for their careless actions and waiting for the last 6 days to take it all away. This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth about DR Horton. I will definitely not recommend this company to any of my friends and family.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Downingtown, PA - I got a first propane bill with 0 previous read for the meter which is at the very beginning, so my first bill was very high. I even walk through my house before I bought it. And the AC already turned on before I bought it. And my neighbor's first meter is a lot. It is obviously a issue from someone who works in DR Horton. But no one in DR Horton would like to be in charge of this issue. They push back this to propane company and HOA management. Propane company did not want to take charge of this issue. Other than this one, I still have lots of pictures regarding to the workmanship! I only have bought my house for a couple of months! I am thinking about if it is appropriate to post these pictures afterwards. Consider carefully buying DR Horton!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I wish I had read all of the reviews prior to wasting my time with DR Horton Homes. We were a week away from closing and they pulled the contract from under us. We started off rough with them to begin with. They lost the application submitted to the city to start building so that pushed us back. No one tried researching as to what was taking so long. After we kept calling about it only then did they look further into it. Our lender was a little behind on submitting the paperwork so they wanted to terminate our contract. We got everything in, was asked to come out to do our walk thru and watch the video on warranty. Mind you, we live in a different state so this was just a hop, skip and a jump away. Then I received a DocuSign to terminate! Really!! We called, or at least tried to. The home office would not answer the phone.

Finally our realtor was able to confirm they indeed cancelled our agreement. This put a sour taste in my mouth for them. I will NEVER buy a home built by them and I'll be sure to let all of my family and close relatives know as well. I will go out of my way to make sure people know how unprofessional they are. Also, when we had our walk thru, it was awful. I couldn't believe all of the mess ups they had. They should embarrassed to let anyone walk through with it looking like that!

Original review: March 21, 2018

BUYERS WHO HAVEN'T CLOSED YET OR WERE DENIED 100% REFUND OF THEIR EARNEST MONEY, PLEASE READ! Wow, after reading the reviews here I am really glad I opted out of my option to purchase a home from these folks. $40 million set aside to settle anticipated lawsuits? Did I read that article correctly? While you upset owners have my sympathy, I do have good news for those of you who haven't closed yet and are having second thoughts. When I asked to be released from my contract, DR Horton sales manager Dona (not a typo) ** talked with me about possibly a refund of at least a partial refund of my earnest money. I gave her my reasons and the result was no refund. I had too much going on at that time to think about what had happened, but I recently woke up. There is nothing in the contract that dictates conditions for a refund of earnest money.

So it appears to me that they just make it up as they go along since she was open to listen to my request for reimbursement, told me that she took it to her team to decide, and then got back to me with "No Refund". Was that because I am old and on disability that they figured they could push me around? Dona ** refused to answer my texts to her inquiring about this topic, so I filed a small claims court complaint for $80 requesting my earnest money back as well as my filing cost. As soon as their lawyer found out and could, they contacted me and offered me $2,500 right off the bat. She wanted a non-disclosure agreement and made a bunch of threats, but I figure if she offered me that much right away that they know they are in the wrong. I told her no deal and that I want all of my earnest money.

I countered her threats by pointing out that I still believed in my complaint and pointed out that I could make my claim for $80 and it wouldn't cost me anything more except gas money. How much will it cost DR Horton to defend themselves? I don't like fighting dirty like that, but when provoked we all have our limits. The bottom line is if you were denied all of your earnest money or are having second thoughts about buying a DR Horton, you may decide to take the route I have. Given the situation, I feel I should point out that I am not a lawyer, my suppositions and logic are all my own, and I strongly suggest you speak with a licensed attorney before taking the steps I have. I will keep you posted on the results of my claim. I can't comment on the quality or value of their work or follow up service policies as I didn't buy a DR Horton home. To those of you who feel you have a nice home as built by DR Horton, congratulations.

Original review: March 20, 2018

The moment you sign your papers, DR Horton has zero interest in you and any issues you may have with your new home. When we walked our new home, their rep promised to replace a cabinet door that they damaged. Almost a year later and no door - their rep basically accused us of lying. They refuse to answer phone calls, emails or survey requests for a call. Think twice before you deal with them - zero customer service after closing.

Original review: March 15, 2018

If you are planning to purchase a new construction home in Walnut Creek, SC from DR Horton, I strongly urge you not to. The workmanship and contractors they use are third rate. My first negative experience with this builder came during my initial walkthrough back on 12/15/2017 whereby I observed broken windows on the second floor, scratched floors on the main level, paint stuck to the carpets and sloppy painting in general.

I have submitted no fewer than five online service requests ranging from toilets that back up to bowed walls to gaps in drywall. Not once, have I ever received a confirmation or call notifying me that a contractor would come out and fix any of these problems. Here it is 3/15/2018 and the only noticeable fix was the window. The drywall remains gapped, the paint in the carpet was never removed and all I have gotten was the run around to the point where I felt compelled to write this review. All I can say is to any homeowner looking to buy a DR Horton home, (DON'T)!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I bought a home that was a new build from DR Horton in 2004 and never had a problem. I purchased a new build in 2014 also by DR Horton and have experienced nothing but problems. I am typically not someone that complains but feel like the home I purchased was ill put together. After moving in I have had the following problems that were corrected by DR Horton: Electrical issues. Drainage problems that resulted in a french drain being installed on both sides of the house. Digging out my backyard to ensure there is no standing water and is draining to the french drain. Foundation issues that were found and resolved by builder. Builder wanted to cut a small block and replace a small square concrete piece in the driveway that would look terrible, they finally agreed to replace the entire 20ft square.

So I am almost 4 years into this house and here are the problems that still exist: my daughter's chandelier blew every bulb including her closet but yet we are reassured that there are no electrical issues. My stairway light fixture blew all three bulbs this week and have to be replaced. No electrical problems based on the builders comments... Recently had to replace some valve to our hot water to the master bath. Variety of plugs that do not work throughout the house. The dishwasher they put in place are a joke.

Window calk in the shower rather than waterproof. Spent several hours diagnosing the problem to be sure it was done correctly... THE FIRST TIME. So basically I'm complaining as this is the absolute worst home that I have ever had built. I have lived in three different houses and the problems seem to compound exponentially year over year. I realize that this will likely not help me or anyone else but I feel better expressing how poor of a job DR Horton has done in this community.

Original review: March 7, 2018

We live in a DR Horton neighbourhood in Perry, Georgia. The Nottingham subdivision, and after comparing notes, and having We Care Services tell not just one homeowner, but several that the material used in our HVAC system were never meant for a slab home, but instead for a mobile home, among other things that are not up to code for any of these HVAC units, added to this hundreds of dollars in repairs for a system we've had to replace parts on year, after year, angers me to no end, just as it does my fellow neighbors! If we need to file a class action suit to get these replaced, at DR Horton's cost, we will!

Original review: March 1, 2018

My husband and I flew to TX from NY to complete a sale for a home in Bonbrook Lakes Richmond TX. Despite having an email confirming the specifics and the pricing plus a draft contract containing options and pricing plus a telephone conversation with CODY ** confirming the pricing, once we overnighted the earnest money deposit and contract, CODY ** CHANGED THE CONTRACT PRICE BY INCREASING IT ANOTHER $3,600. We walked. We will not purchase from any company that is deceptive and unethical. We will be filing for reimbursement of our plane tickets, car rental and (3) days of vacation pay for my husband and myself. DO NOT HAVE ANY DEALINGS WITH DR HORTON.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Purchased home in 2014. New Construction and first day we moved all toilets flooded and DR Horton never fixed the problems because we still have plumbing and septic issues currently! Also electrical outlet in Laundry Room not installed properly caused fire and DR Horton did not reimburse deductible! Also huge foundation crack across entire floor of Interior of Home and was sold to us with serious foundation cracks in 2014! DR Horton is not the number one Home Builder because the Company doesn't act in good faith plus sold us a home with Plumbing, Electrical, and Foundation problems. Would not recommend building or purchasing a home from them. From a Veteran!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Hope this helps others. It's January 29 2018. Sold my home and it closes April 13. We went to DR Horton Ormond beach. Mrs ** was great. Showed us the house. At that time house was 275000. We made at fair offer of 270000. Was turned down because April 13 was too long off to close. It's February 7. We called and made a offer of full asking price was told no, only if I could close end of March. We called our buyer to see if they would move the closing date to March. The buyer of course said yes, but wanted money. I offered 5000. They agreed. I called Wanda. Offered the 270000. Her manager turn us down again. After many attempts to sell the house to others the house that we wanted and other buyers couldn't get approved. We have cash send then proof. Only thing I see is they up the house price twice.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Years two store house in Katy TX. Find multiple structure issues not build according to residential code. Send warranty tickets within the time frame, has been refused to fix the issue according to residential code. Been closed all my warranty tickets without inform me and fix all listed issues, because I contacted local building official. Arbitration term on the warranty contract that eliminated buyer to sue the builder, Dr.Horton. Once Warranty company decide not make contact with the buyer, buyer will out option to protect their investment on the house. Since Structure issue is major house problem, the warranty company will keep deny the issue, but to fix it with minimum effect to cover up. Advice: don't buy the house build from Dr.Horton or David Weekley (another name of Dr. Horton).

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

In March of 2017 we happened upon DR Horton Homes in Lakeland, Florida with our real estate agent. So very excited to find our winter home as we are from Canada. In speaking with the DR Horton salesperson NORMAN who was very nice and seemed to us to be very sincere we decided to go thru with our purchase. We were extremely nervous because of the US dollar exchange but within 3 months it returned to an acceptable level for us. One of the very first questions we asked was what were the HOA fees (as being retired Canadians we are on a fixed income and of course our dollar is approx. 30 cents less the American dollar). We needed to be sure we could well afford our beautiful winter home. We were assured by Mr. NORMAN that the fees were 195.00 per quarter. Perfect. We thought fit our budget.

We are now in our house and upon returning in January received 2 HOA bills. One for the agreed price of $195.00 and then another for $422.00 per quarter. We were in total shock... we called NORMAN immediately upon receipt of this invoice and he reassured us that there was only one HOA and it had gone up to $205.00. Well yesterday we met with the COO of Titan Management and a HOA representative of DR Horton who apparently only came to the meeting to discuss what was covered under out HOA agreement. We were told by NORMAN and the HOA Coordinator JESSE ** that this meeting would give us a remedy to the HOA problem (there are 6 residents in our area to date and every one of them were given different amounts).

When we questioned Jesse at the meeting he denied ever saying it was a meeting with an HOA resolution. The COO (Laurie) of Titan was of no help whatsoever as she said, "We cant help what your representative said but this is what you have to pay". Melissa from DR Horton HOA coordinator could only answer us with one statement over and over again... "You signed for both HOA's in your closing." Well in our closing papers it did say there was another HOA but it said "if applicable." In addition there were never ever any reference to another HOA fee in the final closing settlement statements. (An acknowledge that was signed by us and a DR Horton representative.) We therefore thought that one had nothing to do with us. Boy were we wrong. Do we have any recourse??? HELP!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Tried to buy 2 different homes in Charleston, SC. First I understand why didn't get it. Still had work to do 2nd. Without any warning just got email wanting to cancel contract because credit hadn't updated yet so too low to buy a house that wasn't even done yet. Credit will be updated within 3 weeks or so. But I guess they didn't care how upset we were terribly working so hard to get it. Not sure why they couldn't wait 3 weeks but oh well. Done with this company & never will consider them again! My advice is stay away from these dream crushers!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I visited one of the properties & received a price list from 2 different agents. Both price list had the price at $449,516. I left earnest money thinking I made a great deal. The next day I put an offer in for the full price & was told the price was incorrect on the paper & the agents had the incorrect amount. The correct amount was $497,000. It was an error & even though I was told that price & left earnest money they can't honor it. I've never received such bad customer service. Both agents could care less to fix the problem. Amy & Kim.

Then I spoke to Megan the sales manager & she didn't help either. She was very nice the first day we talked saying she will do whatever she can to help but then the next day she sends an offer and says, "That's the best I can do." This is not my first time buying a house. I've always had a great experience but this time was different. I was anger & hurt. I would never consider a DR Horton house again. I don't know why they are the number 1 builder. I disagree!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

DR HORTON AMERICA'S WORST BUILDER - The title of this review clearly states the status of this builder. I have purchased new homes in the past but never have I experienced such negligence and lack of workmanship. I have disputes with them concerning the property line. I could see the stucco in my living room from lack of proper paint application; cabinets not installed correctly; dishwasher not working; splintered wood everywhere; flooring scratched; dents on my entry door; air conditioning and heating not working; new solar panel covered from dust from their own construction. I have a list that goes on and on... while they have attempted to correct some of the problems most are still pending and ongoing.

They have also tried to deceive me in trying to lead me to believe that repairs have been addressed when in fact they were not. Example the closet poles were splintered and had gouges. I pointed this out to their customer service representatives and I was told the poles were replaced and addressed. I looked in the closet and it seemed that was in fact the case. When my housekeeper started dusting and cleaning the area she noted that the poles were not in fact replaced but they had simply turned them so the splinters and gouges could not be seen. Absolutely the worst home buying experience ever. I closed escrow on 12/27/17 and am so sorry that I ever dealt with this builder. I will never purchase a home from this builder again... If I could get my money back I would cancel the purchase in a second. The home is located in Horse Creek Ridge Development in Fallbrook, CA.

`

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I purchased my Rose Model in 2006. I went to assess for a remodel of the upstairs last May. I wanted to replace the hot water heater and discovered the small door they build was not wide enough to get the hot water heater out. I did contact the local DR Horton Rep in Charleston SC. She alleged she would look into this. NEVER HEARD BACK. I finally had contractor do. Total cost for contractor and materials was $827.32. I assume the other Rose Models in Willowbrook will all have this issue since they are cookie cutter versions. Apparently it is too much to ask for their builders to use a tape measure.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My problem is not so much with the builders, because most of those issues have been resolved. My issues are with the Sales Agent/Reps namely Gwendolyn **& Gina **. Gwendolyn ** promised us things but failed to deliver. Gina ** flat out tried to take advantage of us and our situation. My husband and I are truck drivers, which require us to be on the road weeks at a time. So with that being said, we weren't able to be there to watch the whole building process. I feel Gina ** is untrustworthy lying snake. I guess these are the type of people like working for him. I think she did 7 or more changes to the contract, which looks very suspicious if you ask me. Some may say she was doing what her employer instructed her to do, well if that's so, her employer is no better than the employee. Because of Gina ** we had to spend 4 additional days in the hotel. I feel DR Horton or Gina ** should reimburse us for the money spent.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

My purpose of this review is to encourage prospective buyers to have any house professionally inspected during the building process as well as the finished product way ahead of the closing date. I have bought 2 new Pulte Homes, 1 David Weekly, 1 DR Horton and my current Express Home. My error is that I thought that an Express Homes is the same as a DR Horton home - it is not the same! My experience with this particular Express Home is one which I will never want me or another customer to endure. I usually do not write reviews because I know that any handmade product, such as a production house, will never be perfect. I am so disappointed; after two and a half years in this Express Home, I am still unpacked (and ready to move). I had an 11th-month inspection performed on my house which documented problems that I didn't know existed such as in the attic area.

Warranty took care of many of the problems such as a broken truss, a warped wall, cracked tiles, electrical connections, carpet repairs, and others too numerous to list here. There were a total of 5 warranty representatives that visited the house so there was hardly a continuation of information on the warranty issues. The last few months of the warranty period, a new warranty representative finally took charge and got the items repaired or replaced. There will be items that are cosmetic that will never be repaired such as a crooked closet frame and door; the trim carpenter said that it was the variation of the wood that nothing could be done. I recall that I was told that engineered wood products that are used are chosen to prevent variations of the wood.

There were incomplete or poorly constructed items starting from the brick mailbox on the curb, throughout the house, and to the ruts and drainage in the backyard, as well as the broken irrigation plumbing. I know that DR Horton has a record of all these issues and can be verified. I even received a call from DR Horton Corporate office to ask why I gave such a poor evaluation. As an everlasting optimist, I am hoping that there will not be any other problems. There are some good points: The house is well insulated and the repaired items are stronger. The utilities are gas furnace and gas water heater. I do have a receipt to submit and achieve the label of Verified Buyer and the image of my house does not set properly in the field provided.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

After 4 or 5 times being called out about my electrical breakers they still can't manage to fix my problem. Always have a b.s. excuse on what's wrong which changes every time. So my outside outlets are useless. My tiles in my master bathroom are already cracking. Some of my walls are even cracking as well. My house is not even two years old yet. We should've researched more before buying this house. Honestly after all the runaround this place gives us to me 1 star is too generous.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Okay, I must admit that these negative reviews freaked us out after we signed a contract to build in Deland, FL in July, 2017. So much so that we seriously thought of walking away from our $5,000 deposit and looking at other options. However, there were no better options, so we not only expressed our reservations to our Realtor, we also grilled our Horton sales rep. Thereafter, we actually DID SOMETHING about it and retained an independent inspector to follow the build from the slab pour to the final walk-thru.

This is my 5th new house and I had never done this before, but we’re so glad we did and I’d encourage all to go this route before making such a huge financial commitment (and I’d recommend this with any builder)- This was a 340k+ house. During the framing/pre-drywall inspection, our inspector found a wall that was wasn’t straight. We also noticed the butler’s pantry hadn’t been framed-out as contracted and was going to be built as a closet in the other side. These issues were fixed immediately.

After the drywall was put up, our inspector noted one of the ceiling joists in the dining room was lower, which caused a visible defect. This too was fixed. Folks, this sort of “stuff” happens all the time regardless of the builder. You can’t wait until the final walk-thru and if you think you’re going to know how good the “bones” of a house are without an inspection, you’re kidding yourself- Best $950 we ever spent! We were also assured by this independent person working for us, that the roof, slab, plumbing, ductwork, electrical, the outside grading, the size of the A/C unit, etc were all GOOD. Yes, some of the subs were sloppy and there was a large punch list, but the inspector helped with this too. Don’t make the mistake of trying to do this yourself, as many (negative) reviewers seem to have done.

I must say that I have been thoroughly impressed by DR Horton’s warranty division as all items still outstanding were addressed promptly by their Orlando division. You need to also keep in mind that there are bugs to be worked out in all new homes. Keep in mind also that the AC filter in your brand new home is a temporary one, meant to be replaced by either a new frame with spare disposable filters or with disposable filers from your local grocery or home improvement store.

Examples of the bugs: Shortly after moving in on Dec 21, we were stunned that the plumbing on one side of the house backed-up. This had happened to me once before, so I knew what it was- Construction debris in the main line that no amount of plunging is going to take care of. Given we were having company for Christmas, we sent a panicked text at 6 am to the construction supervisor and sales rep. They had a plumber out within HOURS who cleaned the line out. That’s impressive. The last time this happened, I had to fight another builder to be reimbursed as I was made to call a plumber and get it taken care of. Another example was the lanai floor- It was two finishes, Flat and Gloss and it looked ridiculous. They’ve already repainted the entire floor and it looks great.

Do yourselves another favor and get your granite counters sealed and the grout painted. Over two grand, yes, however when my wife accidentally spilled an entire bottle of red wine on our light grey tile last night, it came up easily with no stain to the tile or grout lines. DR Horton closed when they said we would close, they’ve kept every promise made and I can’t help but think it all started with the use of an independent inspector. I feel bad for all the other reviewers who have had negative experiences, but I have read many reviews for other builders and it’s the same story- Relying on their own experience or the local building department to catch what are bound to be numerous issues throughout the process.

Please, please, please spend the money on the front end and I’m convinced you’ll have a much better experience. You also have to be able to “roll with the punches” and not get too caught up with emotion before you start with the negativity. Example: The other day our garage door wouldn’t work. I was convinced it was a misalignment in the track or the motor was out of adjustment and was pretty angry. Made a warranty claim, called the door company and was set to have someone from there come the next day. I happened to see our construction supervisor driving by and he pulled up asking me how things were with the new house. I mentioned the garage door, he checks it and there was a ruler my wife had placed by the garage that was blocking the eye- Duh!!

Felt pretty foolish but again, at least in central Florida, these folks practically fall over themselves trying to make you happy. Was this a fluke? I don’t think so. You know why? Because all of the negative reviews I’ve read of this (or any other builder) never have an independent inspector from the beginning. Never. Don’t leave it to chance and I hope this will save at least one person from some serious heartache. Thanks for reading and I’d say good luck, but you don’t need it. You need a qualified inspector.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information