2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

DR Horton Homes Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I would like to give a BIG shout out to Laura **, Sales Rep. and Willis **, Superintendent. From start to finish these guys did what it took to make my client's dream come true. Laura, thanks for showing us around and taking many hours in helping my client and myself from day one. Willis, thanks for always being there and getting the job done and taking care of whatever came up. Also, for showing lots of patience with my client. Again these two go over and beyond for their Co. D.R. Horton should feel mighty proud to have these two on the Team!

- Curt, Realtor

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you, Curt, for taking time to post your comments. We hope your clients have many very happy years in their new home.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Hi! I am hoping my post can help some one else on making a decision before doing business with DR Horton or anyone else. This is my first home purchase and I couldn’t be happier! My experience was truly a positive one and although things we not perfect but i will say my builder did everything he could in his power to fix anything that was not to my satisfaction in a timely fashion as possible! I purchased in Boardwalk subdivision in Lancaster, Texas. I purchased a model home and got a lot for my money. My best friend purchased her first home from DRHorton in Saganaw,Texas 2 yrs ago and is now purchasing her 2 home from them as well. I would recommend DRHorton to anyone who wants a great value for your hard earned dollars!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Darlene! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to have you as part of the D.R. Horton family and hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My boyfriend and I just purchased a home from DR Horton and absolutely LOVE it. Our sales rep was awesome and our builder was amazing during the first walk through. ALL our blue tape objects were fixed before the second walk through and they have been very responsive when it comes to smaller items being fixed in the house so far. The builder gave us his personal phone number to call or text if we had any problems or questions. The builder really made us feel that we were the only buyers even though they had sold 8 other homes that month and he should have been very busy.

Our house was a little pricier than the surrounding neighborhoods but with the customer service we have had and the people at D.R. Horton who made us feel special, it was a lovely experience. Not to mention the 1 year "bumper to bumper" warranty we have on the house in case we need any repairs done asap is AWESOME! We love the area and the backyard is WAY bigger than any other builder was offering in our price range. D.R. Horton takes into account that you don't want 10 ft of backyard and a neighbor so close you could open your window and touch their house. We have had an awesome experience so far and really love our little home.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Brittany! Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome to the D.R. Horton family. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Hi Everyone, My honest opinion is....that first building a home is stressful no matter who the builder is. This is my third house and hopefully my last but everyone expects a perfect house and me too! Some get the opportunity to see the whole process and others walk in one complete not knowing if it was done correct. I guarantee either will be. The problem is you have good and bad contractors that a builder hires. I have never seen a builder hire the most expensive bid and nether would you hire one. It’s all about profit like every American company. Sorry.

I am fortunate enough to know what to look for during the building process and I drive the supervisor crazy. It really comes down to a floor plan, price and location that you will like. My DR Horton Homes met this criteria on all three on two of the builds. I’m fortunate with relocating in different states they were here. All builders have these issues and it’s down to what you want. Just make sure the person in charge of building your house (supervisor) gets out of his truck and goes over the work they are doing than sitting on their phone all day and just cutting P.O.’s. If he seems that lazy then your house will look it. They need to keep on the quality and I felt my guy did his best. After one year now they came back with the contractors and repaired my floors and interior paint. I happy and that is all that matters. Do I see problems in the future. Maybe but if you have any house you will. That’s life. Hope this helps.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning, Bruce. Thank you for your comments. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: May 30, 2020

The building supervisor refuses to fix the property line marks in the curb. It’s off by 15 feet. He tells me I have to hire someone to come fix it. He said, "that’s not my job.“ But he can’t tell me whose job it is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: May 27, 2020

Do not buy a new build from DR Horton. The new homes they build have inferior construction and they refuse to honor their warranty. My house is 1 year old and crumbling. They did not put chicken wire beneath the stucco so it won't stick. The stucco keeps falling off of the house leaving holes where you can see the wood underneath. DR Horton said this is just a cosmetic issue and won't do the fix the contractor they sent out suggested. So much for having a weather resistant home cause air enters and escapes through multiple openings at the roof line.

We also have deep cracks along the sliding glass door that they have never bothered to deal with. They tell you to fill out warranty requests online but they never get back to you to fix the problems. They stall until the 1 year warranty period is passed. Do not buy a house from these crooks. This is the worst mistake I ever made. I can either live with a house with multiple holes in it or abandon the place and default on the loan. Don't let them put you in this position.

Original review: May 26, 2020

This company is horrible. First month in the house, I start sinking into my front yard, they cracked the main water line to my house. Giant holes and no garage or driveway for a month. First rain. Several leaks in our roof. Times in the past 2 years for the same areas which they have not fixed. 1.5 years in the plumbing starts backing up turns out they cracked the pipe leading to the sewer fixing the water main, AND THEY NOTE IN AN INNER OFFICE REPORT IT'S CRACKED but they don't tell me. The pipe disintegrates causing the back up and I'm out of pocket $300 to get my own plumber just to.prove they messed up. Another 2 months with giant holes in my yard. Now guess what, the same spots in the roof isn't fixed and they are trying to tell me even though I've reported it from month 1 that it's my problem. They hire arrogant unqualified workers and do everything they can to get off without fixing their messes.

Original review: May 26, 2020

From the start of my purchasing my condo in Sparks, Nevada, at Wildcreek, I have experienced lying from the sales reps. Upon weekly inspections, we found faulty work, holes drilled into support beams, in the wrong areas, and when these issues were brought up, they were corrected, but what if we didn't check every couple days? Our washer & dryer would have fallen through to the 1st floor.

After many complaints to DR Horton, nothing came of my issues I asked to repair. Now at exactly 2 years after my purchase. I found out that, the granite countertops that were installed, were not laid on top of particle board or any board at all. The granite was laid on top of the cabinets, and now are cracking. This company is the worst, and most cheap. Yes, this complex was called an "Express" build. But the inspectors should have never let these condos be passed through the inspection. So not only my kitchen countertops of granite are not installed up to code, so are my bathroom countertops. When I had a professional granite installer come look at my issues, he could not believe what he found. I am reporting this to the BBB, and to the Nevada State Contractors Board.

Original review: May 21, 2020

DR Horton was decent during the sales process. Construction and warranty repairs is the issue here. The warranty tickets seem to go to outer space. If you enter a warranty ticket, you will never hear back. It's frustrating to see new builds across the street with plenty of contractors busily running around. The walk thru process was a joke. Everything is just done half-**. It is very unfortunate. We paid a ton of money for this house. It was advertised as a premium product for DR Horton. Once they get your money, you are on your own! If you have stucco on your home, then be ready for tons of cracks and settling. They say it is normal. Our last house was built in the 1970's. They used stucco on the exterior. It was in better shape after 50 years than our house that is only a few months old.

Original review: May 20, 2020

The house is fine, but the grading is terrible. Puddles remain for DAYS after it rains because the drainage is poor which will result in mold issues, mosquito issues, and, ultimately, resale issues. It is a REAL health hazard. I've asked to have it repaired and DR Horton is telling me they won't because I had an irrigation system put in. The drainage was a problem before I had that installed and I only water 3 days a week for 1 hour (3 stations at 20 minutes each). They're telling me to have the party that installed the irrigation system fill in the low spots (that was done when the system was installed) and put down sod. To reemphasize, DR Horton has known about the drainage problem LONG before the irrigation system was installed. Almost every one of my neighbors on my street has the same problem and there is talk of filing a class action suit. BEWARE before you buy from this builder.

DR Horton Homes author review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information