Find a Home Builders partner

D.R. Horton Homes

1.2/5 (94 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

Pros

• Energy-efficient
  • Smart home devices
  • Move-in ready
  • Financing available

Cons

• No customization
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

D.R. Horton Homes are ideal for buyers who are ready to purchase but don’t want the hassle of customizing features. D.R. Horton offers energy-efficient features and smart home functionality.

Top D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Verified

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly re...

Verified

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR ...

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is D.R. Horton?

D.R. Horton Homes are available in a variety of floor plans, sizes and styles. To visualize the design and amenities offered by D.R. Horton, visit a model home or tour a finished community. You can schedule in-person visits to a model home during listed business hours, and newly finished houses can be scheduled for viewing directly from the digital listing on the D.R. Horton website.

Characteristics and features of D.R. Horton’s homes include:

• Open floor plans
  • State-of-the-art appliances
  • Energy-efficiency
  • Integrated geofencing technology
  • Multiplatform wireless network
  • One-wire connectivity
  • Hands-free communication.

You can access all functions of the home’s smart devices on the Qolsys IQ Panel, which allows you to use a variety of smart device products from one central location. From the Qolsys IQ Panel, you can adjust the thermostat, set the alarm, lock and unlock doors and set lights on a timer.

D.R. Horton closing costs and home prices

Prices of D.R. Horton homes vary based on the location, floor plan, size and style of the home selected. Most listings do not include closing costs or any related fees, so the price listed may not be 100% accurate. To determine an estimated mortgage payment you can afford, use the mortgage calculator on D.R. Horton’s website. Financing and insurance are available through affiliates of D.R. Horton Homes.

dr horton homes house

Photo (c) D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes FAQ

What is included in a D.R. Horton home?
A home built by D.R. Horton features energy-efficient construction, integrated geofencing technology, a multiplatform wireless network, one-wire connectivity and hands-free communication. These features are powered by the Qolsys IQ panel. The panel is compatible with a Honeywell thermostat, Amazon Echo Dot, Kwikset Smartcode and Skybell. Some features may be unavailable in Hawaii.
Are D.R. Horton Homes efficient?
D.R. Horton uses energy-efficient roofing materials, siding, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Every D.R. Horton home features at least one appliance or product with an EnergyStar designation.
Do D.R. Horton Homes come with appliances?
Yes. D.R. Horton homes include Whirlpool appliances.
Will D.R. Horton negotiate prices?
The company is open to negotiation with any buyer. When negotiating pricing, consider using D.R. Horton’s immediate inventory and preferred vendors. You may receive a lower price.
What is a D.R. Horton smart home?
D.R. Horton smart homes are equipped with alarms, smart thermostats, wireless interior lighting controls, electronic deadbolts and smart video doorbells.

Is D.R. Horton a good builder?

D.R. Horton can be a good choice for buyers who want a move-in ready home that doesn’t require any remodeling. While D.R. Horton is a reputable company, it’s essential to vet the builder and conduct an appraisal. We like the affordability, convenience and capabilities offered by the company, so if the price works for you and you find a design and floor plan that suits your needs, we recommend D.R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

We bought our home and at first all seemed right. Sadly, any warranty need you can kiss goodbye. They will ghost you or take zero responsibility. Had had multi calls to correct electrical wiring (scary right)! They have finally managed to correct most of issues but we still have some. The electrical sockets will short with the least amount of usage and have to be reset frequently. The toilets barely flush. They said, that is just how it is.. Weird, it is not like that in any other house in our town..

Front door warped, they rigged it (we realized from move in contract review) and found out at one year walk through the door was actually warped.. Early OCT 2021 told it would need to be replaced. The building supervisor (Daniel **) told us this. Then after several calls, texts and no response we finally received a response from him 12/15 that he would need to 'measure' the door... NOW 1/19--we still have not heard back.. Again, several calls, texts, emails... we are ghosted... Scary that our front door will barely close and barely lock without us feeling like we are about to break the key to lock it. We can even use the smart lock system we have on door due to door being warped. We called everyone we could even the sales agents. They told us they 'didn't care if we came up there or left bad reviews b/c they had so many people buying houses anyway.' Soooo please be aware, they verbatim said they don't care about the buyer...

We also have a very wide (quarter width) crack from one end of our patio all the way to other. We were told they would try to place under warranty but was not sure if would be covered... if the crack was 'wide' enough. I called to check on. Was told it was not 'wide' enough. I asked how wide did it need to be since to me it was a pretty wide gap in the crack. I was told a quarter or two nickels.. I stuck a quarter in the crack, emailed images as directed and then basically told It was still not wide enough. I was told it had to be a 1/4" after this... one excuse after another basically --it is pretty much right there. I did exactly what I was told but they didn't want to take on the ownership of the shoddy work.. Literally a wide crack from one end all the way to other end of patio.. Even The warranty walkthrough guy said due to how long it was, it seemed like a legit complaint.. Ya think!!!

Don't expect them to do anything they say or are contracted for.. I am about at the point to seek other actions to get what is due under their legal contract.. what a pain in the butt.. Missed work from waiting on them to no show... etc.. No response at all.... so good luck. You have been warned.. I do have texts -emails-confirming all said (at least from the few responses I did get).

D.R. Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I purchased my home with D.R. Horton Greensboro in May of 2021. Since then I have sent multiple communications to D.R. Horton and Slatter Management regarding our landscaping issues. My sodding along with all of my neighbors on the backend of our development is completely dead and no one will work with us to fix it. The HOA is placing the blame on the builders and the builders are placing the blame on the HOA. Leaving us homeowners with completely horrid looking exteriors. I’ve requested escalations and managers but to no avail. Sad part is we live in a townhouse so the yards are not very large. I don’t understand why we have to fight so hard to have this corrected.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Maria. We have shared your comments with the management team in Greensboro.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I brought a brand new home from DR Horton. Had issues from day one! Liter had a leak my first night. After identifying all the issues on my 11 month walk through some issues were fixed but when they confirmed that all of my tubs (I have 4) were installed improperly all of the warranty work stopped. This was April of 2021. I have been calling and calling and calling and emailing. I get absolutely no response from anybody. I even called headquarters! I now have water damage cracks in my walls. My flooring is awful. I have doors that won’t close or lock due to poor installation. I had wet grass for a year due to poor installation. That was the last thing they fixed before ghosting me. I put everything I had into my home and DR Horton should be ashamed. This is heartbreaking! Going on a year and my issues haven’t been resolved. It’s so bad there’s a Facebook page for how poor DR Horton is building our homes.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Christenel. Your concern was forwarded to the senior management at your division office for their action.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

We bought our home March 2021. We labeled issues before we moved in and labeled them with painters tape only to see painters tape still up and the issues not addressed. The neighborhood just got completed and half the neighborhood has their address nicely input into the brick outside and the rest of us have wooden numbers tacked to our garage. We have issues with cracks in the walls, our fence having gaps and breaks from being made of rotten wood, water pooling in our yard, the water heater going out, staples coming out of the carpet and weird stains coming from our shower wall. Which now the newest builds have tile showers and the rest of us have plastic inserts from Home Depot. Knowing what I know now I will never buy another home from DR Horton. How is none of this covered by warranty??

D.R. Horton Homes response

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I am hopeful that anyone considering buying a new DR Horton home will review this first. I bought my home in July 2017. My hardwood floors from one side of the home to the other has started to separate. They give you a 1-year warranty and I do not feel this is ample time to see if a home has finished settling. I reached out to DR Horton and they told me to contact RWC warranty as it had a 10 yr structural warranty. I reached out to RWC and they responded but basically blew me off. I attached pictures but that did no good. This is a direct result of shotty work. They hire these subcontractors and are on a time schedule to close so they can get in, get out and get paid. Definitely a lesson learned on my part and I will NOT buy DR Horton EVER again!! If I could give a -2 stars I would. Buyer beware!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Several issues. Not a single door frame in the house is square. Screws in door frames don’t match and doors are falling off. Cabinets are coming off the wall. The kitchen floor is coming up. There is a lot of racket behind the wall from plumbing issues… paint issues. All around horrible work. The QC should be replaced. I hope to hear from DR Horton and resolve these issues without legal action.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I see plenty of new home buyers and I would like to add that this is not a recent problematic situation. We purchased our home back in 2015 and we started having issues within 2 years. The craftsmanship is poor, water leaks through both shower tiles causing crown molding and tile to rust and lift. All our windows downstairs are collecting humidity, therefore foggy. Our bathroom window is rusting. Most recently, we had to file a claim with our home insurance regarding ANOTHER leak and the ceiling is now a huge bubble. All appliances stopped working properly including but not limited to our washer/dryer, microwave, and refrigerator within a year. Furthermore (and this is the kicker), both our neighbors have had their pipes burst (also DR Horton)! Our rock fence that surrounds our backyard is creating holes and gaps. Our master bathroom shower is horrendous despite DR fixing it under “warranty.”

Obviously this company hires cheap, unqualified labor. Our warranty is up, but PLEASE do yourself a favor and do not purchase a home from this company. They obviously lack in craftsmanship and cut corners in order to gain more profit. We spent a plethora amount of money for our home for it to start falling apart in less than 3 years (it was a new home construction). I will continue to tell others our story in order to save their future grief and money. Walk away!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

My dream seems to be coming to an end... Been in contract since November I bought furniture Kids have picked out rooms only to find out DR Horton may cancel the contract due to my conditional approval letter.. This is the same letter Rocket Mortgage has sent to DR Horton thousands of times with no issues but for some reason my letter isn't enough. I'm not sure if it's Rocket mortgage or if it's DR Horton retaliating against me because I didn't use their finance company.. I'm really writing this review in hopes that someone from DR Horton will contact me since I can only get a hold of the subdivision office. I really would like this resolve.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Sherwood. We have forwarded your concern to our management team in the Rowlett, TX office for their review and action.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

The cheapest most ridiculous houses ive ever been involved with. By far I could have built a dog house better than this. The cheapest most low quality job I've ever seen. And don't bother to complain because you will be sent to spam. Don't walk away run away.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Merritt. Your complaint to our office yesterday was forwarded to our team in Southeast Florida for their action. We are confident that the team in Florida will resolve all of your warrantable concerns.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Interesting..it looks as if I am not the only one dissatisfied with the quality and customer service of DR Horton. I purchased a home in November of 2020, it is now January of 2022 and I still have the following items unaddressed, items I alerted the warranty department of within a month of moving in. I currently have a shower in the master bathroom that is unable to drain. It isn't a plumbing issue, rather a shower manufacturer issue, after multiple calls and meetings with warranty, the plumbers, the shower manufacturer, I still have yet to have this issue addressed.

Wood flooring that the drywall subcontractor failed to protect while performing the final sanding of the drywall, as of now it cannot be cleaned. DR Horton wants me to have yet another company try to clean, after the warranty department said they would replace. 1 yr into my flooring and the stained finish is now wearing off. No resolution.

Trim down my hallway that was never completed in the first place, the trim company attempted to fix, but left my trim unpainted, crooked and literally with dirty fingerprints all over the walls. As of over 1 year in. No resolution. Many many other minor details, the warranty department is horrible at responding. They have until the end of January, at that point I will be seeking legal counsel. That just may grab their attention, we shall see. One star, ONLY because I cannot submit with 0 stars.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Good Morning, Kimberly. Thank you for sharing your comments. We have escalated your comments to our team in Huntsville for their action.

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information