Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
2.64/5

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

936 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I read reviews prior to doing a DR Horton purchase as well did my own research by using my experience with them. I had zero issues as well received prompt attention to anything that has happened since my purchase within this 1st year. The only issue was a blown out circuit breaker for my garbage disposal. I would recommend them and doing your own homework rather than listen to the one-sided views of some of the reviewers. You do your research and consider what square footage your receiving for the price you pay. Make sure your home is one that wasn’t build on backfill, my home was build on dugout ground we have had zero settlement cracks cement or walls. Let’s see how year 2 goes. God bless the USMC AND AMERICA as well keep AMERICA moving in the MAGA agenda. VOTE FOR AMERICA AND VOTE TRUMP 2020.

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you for your comments Dan, and thank you for your service.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I purchased a DR Horton Express home in August 2017. As with any home, new or old, there are always issues found during walkthrough, inspection, and after having lived in the home several months. Although there were several issues, the customer service representative and building representative made certain all of my issues were addressed and fixed and answered all of my questions. When more homes were sold and customer solutions became extremely busy, it took longer for someone to get back to me and longer to get contractors to the home to fix the problem; however, they did eventually fix everything.

I sent my 1-year list to them, and the building representative addressed all my concerns. The building representative and customer solutions representative get a 5-star rating. The 4-star review overall is because the paint is construction grade (I had to repaint, but on plus side painted the colors I wanted) and because towel racks and toilet tissue holders were not included (installed myself); however, I chose what I wanted while also having ceiling fans installed. Overall, very positive experience. Awesome neighbors too!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Lin! Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your home.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had a water leak; the result of a trade using a nail gun and hitting a water pipe for the air conditioning. As a result the ceiling fell in my laundry room and had a flood in the kitchen and office. DR Horton came immediately to fix the leak and completed all the drywall and painting from the damage in a very short amount of time. They did everything they promised and were very aggressive in getting everything done quickly and properly. I was very impressed with their prompt and professional service. They did a great job! Thank you DR Horton!!!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi John - Thank you for sharing your story. We're happy to restore your home and provide you with excellent customer service.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We purchased our first home from DR Horton back in 2014. It was in a new development in Louisiana. After the first year, we had some settlement cracks in the drywall and tile flooring. We reached out to DR Horton and they came out that same week. Looked at the issues we were having, listened to our concerns, and brought in an expert to make sure everything was good. DR Horton fixed all the problems in a fairly timely manner and even cleaned the house after the repairs.

Three years later, we outgrew the house. We had a buyer and some issues came up with the inspection. I called DR Horton and was put in touch with Brian and Micheal. They again came out that next day. DR Horton really cared that an issue came up on the inspection report and made it right! When I would call either one of them they answered or got back to me that same day. They kept me in the loop and saved me from losing my sale. Defects do happen in construction, but DR Horton didn’t run from them or try and weasel their way out of it. They were true to their word and made it right.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The reasonable price and apparent value for the money induced me to visit a DR Horton community. The sales associate was friendly and knowledgeable. My home is pretty, spacious and came fully equipped. Been in it 2.5 years and remain satisfied. I had one warranty issue that the company repaired without delay and without question. I have no regrets. I have upgraded light fixtures, added trim and made other changes to the home. For example, the sinks, toilets and tubs are baseline models. Had to change the guts (Flapper on both and valve on one) out of two of the toilets. Twenty minutes max. Still, the lines are straight and the corners are square. The carpet is FHA grade. Appliances are Whirlpool.

What a potential Horton home purchaser must keep in mind is that these homes go up like lightning. They are contractor grade homes. Not premium homes. You get what you pay for. Horton handles the purchase, the financing and the insurance or the buyer can do it. From what I can see is the business model here is to put families into new, reasonably priced homes. Communities are built and relationships are made. I'm OK with that.

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you for your post Randy. We are happy you are enjoying your D.R. Horton home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: May 20, 2019

Bought a new DR Horton house two months ago with numerous issues. They say they will fix them but always have an excuse come the day of repairs. Stay away from their homes in the Ocala Florida area, nothing but junk homes and their Tampa Regional Office doesn’t care. Very poor warranty department!!!!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Berm on the common area left a mess. Been trying to have DR Horton correct for 9 months. I now have a sprinkler leak on my property and they hydro seeded for the 4th time today. I don't know how hydro seed is going to grow on rocks and hard soil but they keep applying it. They even applied hydro seed on the leak and walked away.

Original review: May 19, 2019

So I purchased this home for 200k BRAND NEW. Every wall is out of square. If you look down at the floor the tile and wood floors grow in size cause how crooked the walls are. I have the worst Grading I’ve seen in my life. My back and side yard fill with water. It washed away all the seed they tried to lay down so now I have no chance of grass. They left dirts boulders in my yard where they tried to grade and threw straw over it so you nearly break an ankle walking in your yard. I now have lost power to my upstairs bedrooms and my microwave so somehow they tied them together like idiots.. I am very disappointed in this home and would never recommend someone to buy this piece of **. I will most definitely be selling this pile and moving in the near future.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I purchased my home Jan 2018. From the day we moved in up until now we've had nothing but issues. The day we moved in we were asked to stay in a hotel because our electricity was not working. We had already bought $800 worth of groceries so that was not an option. While getting my electricity fixed my house was stained and walls were scratched causing us to have to have painters come back in. They were going to have to come back in anyways for the crappy paint job they provided us. Then our water heaters weren't working so we had to have people come fix that on day 2.

After getting somewhat situated in our house we touched the oven and felt a shock. I dismissed it initially. Then my niece touched our dishwasher and I picked her up and felt electricity pulsating through her. Come to find out they forgot to cut an outlet and there was too much electricity flow and not enough outputs. Then 2 months in our floors start coming up. They came out a total of 6 times. Each occasion required two separate visits which were highly unnecessary. One day to take 3 pictures for documentation and another to give a 3 second fix to the situation.

Finally they ended up having to replace the whole floor which required us to take even more days off. Our door frame was not leveled and had to have that replaced completely. That took 2 days. When we had to have it repainted the same crappy painters came back after we made our complaint known. They gave us a crappy drywall job and we asked if they were going to smooth it out. They said that the painters who would be painting over it will be the ones to paint. The next day they came and literally just painted over the drywall that has not been smoothed out and when we asked why they didn't do so they said it wasn't their job and that it was the dry wall people's job. They are the same company. Needless to say DR HORTON is just in it for a quick buck and they couldn't care less about the long term for their customers. If you build something right the first time you'd actually save money from having to send people back to fix a crappy job.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

Overall I have been pleased with my home purchase. However one of the locks to the storage/furnace area did not have a key that matched my normal house key. In fact I have no key at all. I did note this on my warranty request that was submitted in February. The other issue that were listed were done promptly and professionally. I have since sent 3 additional emails and all I have gotten is, “I called xyz to fix it. They should call you back.” I am still waiting.

DR Horton Homes response

Original review: May 15, 2019

What a terrible experience owning a DR Horton home has been! Quality of homes is terrible. The homes are aesthetically pleasing, but it won’t last. Exterior paint peels after a year. Planning and zoning doesn’t consider safety of homeowners. They overbuild to generate profit. And while they are building, they own the HOA. As owners of the HOA, they do NOT properly maintain community property. DR Horton communities are not safe. Buy at your own risk.

Original review: May 14, 2019

2nd day the dishwasher leaked like a waterfall. Then the mounting brackets were nailed into sewage pipe in kitchen cabinet and leaked all over kitchen floor and family room. 3 weeks later and floor STILL is not fixed. And now the motor for the HVAC is shredded, and "might" be fixed this week. All in a month and a half since moving in. Absolute disaster.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Wished I would have read DR Horton Home Builders reviews prior buying this House, to begin with the sales dept. it was no transparency hiding many facts which should have been disclosed to the potential buyers, which we find out few of them during closing day. I like to list some of the issues we had and still have after five months of closing date.

1- We were never told about CDD "which is a community development district". the fees is for 30 years. This fee was hidden under HOA fee which is less 5% of CDD, HOA are not doing any things even for the basic duties of lawn care, that is cost over $120.00 per month per residence.
2-Garage does not come with the door opener that is another $400.00.
3- House does not have roof guaters. It's over $2,000.00.
4- Kitchen cabinets without door handler cost about $100.00.
5- Guest & Hall Bathrooms have "Formica" countertop, and different heights of 33.1" and 35.0", Toilet paper holder does not hold a regular toilet paper rolls and no other cabinet to accommodate the toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush, etc. and finally just one small towel rack.
6- Granite countertops in Master bathroom and Kitchen does not come with Granite Sealer, which is another $200.00.

7- Front entry and the Back porch collect rainwater to the doors, the slopes are in the wrong direction.

If I am going to talk about the Quality of the Construction have to write ten pages, but I like to mention few things like interior paints which was painted over blemishes, HVAC moisture buried pipe was installed at front removable filter. Porch window is another problems which the Bugs penetrate through the sills especially during seasonal infestation. DR Horton Warranty department does not have any reinforcement on the contractors and many times they schedule the contractors to comply with their commitment and the care of the issues, never showed. I hope I have been a little help for you not to experience and the hell we experienced by buy this Damn House.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Working with DR Horton over the last two years has been the worst customer service experience my wife and I have ever had. When purchasing our home, we read the bad reviews online, assuming that a few bad experiences were the only people writing reviews, especially considering the helpful sales team. Our home has issues with water on the property, water in the crawlspace, poor drywall work, extremely loud floors/squeaks, pest sealing issues, water leaks through the ceiling and poor quality work throughout the house.

Minor repairs will take you dozens of calls, tons of e-mails and followup. DR Horton (Express homes) will make it as hard as possible to get repairs done. Your home repairs will become a war of attrition, many of which will never be completed. Customer service representatives are sloppy, constantly late and reschedule dozens of times. Often work will be only partially completed, requiring more calls, more time and in the end you'll end up doing the work yourself. If you choose to go with DR Horton, do your homework. Drag them through it and make sure you get EVERYTHING fixed BEFORE you move in. Do not sign and get your keys without fixing it all. Read every word of your contract three times and understand that the contract and sales team will not give the same answers.

Original review: May 14, 2019

We bought our D.R. Horton Homes March 2018. In the year that we have lived here we have had many warranty claims. We have problems with plumbing, air conditioning unit, uneven floors, floor boards not nailed down, loose siding, cracked driveway (unable to be fixed under warranty), etc. Even though all those things have been stressful. We have a much bigger issue. Our neighborhood floods. We have been told that we should be grateful that the water has not reached inside our homes. We truly believe it will. The more houses they build, the worse the flooding gets. It is only a matter of time before we all flood, but they continue to build and sell. It makes me so sad for all our families.

DR Horton Homes response

We are aware of high street water affecting Mimosa Park following recent heavy rains and are looking into the matter with the community’s developer. D.R. Horton is committed to providing families with superior customer service and quality homes in Louisiana and throughout the United States.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 12, 2019

I wanted to share my experience with DR Horton. The purchase went well and employees were great. After purchasing our home and moving in we identified several warranty issues and significant drainage issues; including a swale in our backyard that was never disclosed to us. Drainage issues continue and have been almost a year of complaining, phoning, emailing, texting and submitting warranty claims. Each time someone did come out they ignore the underlying issues and actually made them worst.

Last time we filed a warranty claim and then emailed the office every couple days for over a week before someone contacted us. They came out with a landscaper and identified some concerns, installed drains and replaced some grass areas (that were becoming moldy due to the amount of standing water). The grass they installed actually created dams preventing water from actually reaching the drains. So we emailed again and got no response. Also filed warranty claim and have yet to hear back. We have lots of standing water (days after rain). I personally have emailed and gotten no emails. Just would like to resolve the issue, which would be much cheaper for them to do right the first time that to continue coming out and making things worst.

DR Horton loves to send out surveys; in my mind these are a complete WASTE OF TIME. Even after low marks and comments, no one has ever called to speak to us - even after requesting to be called as part of survey. I’ve asked neighbors their experience and some claim no responses and lack of response to problems. Some waiting, like we have, for almost a year to get resolution. I would love a call or email to discuss. Someone who will take our concerns seriously to resolve the issues once and for all. We are not picky people but spent a significant amount of money and expect our warranty issues to be addressed.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Gate broken. Front and back door air leaks, Our shower, everything in our house are not level the doors, the gate, appliances. Second rated carpet with 2000 square feet cost DR Horton 8300.00. It needs to be fixed.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Shella and Douglas. Thank you for your feedback. We were unable to locate any warranty requests on file for your home. Warranty requests may be submitted online on our website.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We purchased one of DR Horton new home and it took 2 years for them to bandage the front & back doors, they both leak. Our appliances will not work properly. More people came but never fixed. Just bandage.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Douglas and Shella. We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 6, 2019

This is my first home to purchase and I've had the most unsatisfying luck with DR Horton. I am a soldier just coming back from Afghanistan and my back and side yard is a mud puddle to include the erosion which created the biggest ravine. I spoke with Logan and once again, LIE. Also, this is the 5th time my HVAC system has broken and the only thing the repairer do is patch until the end of my warranty which will then be my responsibility.

I wish someone would have told me about DR Horton before I Seabees, Marines, and others bought my home. The worst first experience ever. DR Horton is pathetic builder who overcharge for these crappy homes. The food waste dispenser no longer work. I will make it my business to make military members aware of DR Horton even if it means to bring them to my home to show them these cheap products and labor DR Horton use to build homes. I've cried so until there's no more rain in these eyes. I hate you DR Horton.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Rachel. We received the Warranty Request you submitted yesterday evening and it is in queue for our Augusta team to work on today.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I bought my home in 2019. Figured the home was excellent condition when I first saw...but during our final walk through the person in charge reeked of alcohol...We get the house anyway. When we move in a day later I smell gas ...Little did I know that this company forgot to install my gas line in the home. If it wasn't for PG&E 7 of us would have died if I would have turned on my heater or stove. Yet it has been 2 month and have not heard from Horton to see how they are going to resolve my issue...Negligence is apparent! Yet all they can say is "I'm sorry." That is not going to cut it. Our lives matter. I have disabled children. And this was completely ridiculous!

Original review: May 3, 2019

I purchased my home in Sept 2018. One of the main reasons we chose this location was the size of the yard for our children to be able to have plenty of room to play in the backyard. At the time of purchase we knew the side yard was not graded properly. I refused to sign without a contingency on correcting the drainage issue. DR Horton had a French drain installed and assured my any future issues would be taken care of without issue. By November it was blatantly obvious the back yard was also not graded properly. The yard flooded every time it rained and was still saturated days later. In December the warranty rep visited the house without me and informed me it was because of my dog running along the fence. I responded with my issue is not along the fence, it is the entire yard.

They sent out another warranty rep to meet me, I showed him the issue and he agrees there is a drainage issue that needs to be corrected. For the next FOUR MONTHS nobody came out to my house to fix the issue. I was put off each time I called with "the landscaper is backed up" or "it's raining again". When they finally did come out again in April 2019 the rep once again told me it was my dog running along the fence line. When I reminded him that I wasn't asking for that to be fixed, it's the entirety of the yard he said the flooding is not within 10 feet of the house so DR Horton is not responsible.

My yard is so bad that the parts that are living cannot be mowed because the now useless sprinklers are completely exposed. The lines from where the sod was laid can be seen. The yard is so uneven you can feel it under your feet when you walk. The entire yard is a wreck. I bought sand and top soil to try to fix it myself, but there are not random here and there low spots. There is nothing remotely smooth about the yard.

DR Horton sold me a house with a yard that cannot be maintained and now refuses to correct the problem. It's so bad I cannot fix it myself so it is going to cost me a fortune to pay someone to level my yard and lay new sod. All I want is for DR Horton to stand behind their product by repairing the yard they did not have properly graded in the first place.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Alissa. We received your Contact Us form that you submitted online and have escalated your concern to our Huntsville office for their action.

Original review: May 1, 2019

We have been in this house for 3 years. During that period of time we have had a burst pipe in the kitchen, screeching floors that are driving us insane and now the air condition isn't working. According to the plumber, the contractors who were building the house slit the pipe and left it that way. He said that over a period of time the pressure built up and that is what caused the pipe to burst. We regret purchasing this house. We shouldn't have to go through what we are going through in a house that is 3 years old. We can't get anyone to call us back so we could get the issues resolved.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I purchased my home in July 2017. The worst decision I ever made choosing them as the builder of my 1st home. When all the reviews pretty much say the same thing it's true. From horrible customer service, to substandard workmanship, to grading issues. Once you close you can forget it. No one should have to beg a company to do what they promised. They kept putting off the closing, had to reschedule the inspection a couple times and when they said the home was ready the inspector shows up and it is not. The biggest issues is the grading in the backyard, was promised numerous times it would be fixed. They fast talk and lie so much you start to believe they will be honest and do what they say. After I removed all the straw they put to cover the seeds all I found was rocks and wires. It's no way possible for grass to grow with the amt of rocks I have had to remove.

Well to this day the grading issue has only got worse. I have standing water in my backyard every time it rains. Home was suppose to have digital thermostats, was told someone would call never happened. The home was suppose to have 2 areas where the air filters go, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. There is only 1. They left the casing and filter in the garage for the other and I assuming just put drywall over where it should have been. When I walk in the bathroom upstairs master the water in the toilet moves, what is that about? I have no confidence this home is built to last. It's built to get your money and then you beg to get them to fix what was in the contract only to end up paying yourself. SO THIS LIKE ALL THE REVIEWS IS A WARNING TO ALL LOOKING AT THE PRETTY SHELL THEY SHOW, DON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!! FIND a more honorable builder.

So many of my neighbors and I talk about the issues we are having and having to deal with warranty issues. If you do use them, go every day and take lots of pics and have a good inspector. I am ready to sale and find a better home. Nothing worse than a company who intentionally takes advantage of people who's gonna be making payments on something for 15-30 yrs. I understand some problems, then at least do what you say and make good on the mistakes.

Original review: April 30, 2019

The sod on the property was never approved or accepted by the homeowners association, all I’ve gotten from the warranty dept was, “it’s out of warranty, it’s a homeowners Assoc problem”. The landscape companies have tried for almost a year to no avail. The lawn looks great if you like bare spots and brown supposed to be grass.

Original review: April 29, 2019

We just closed on our new construction DR Horton home on Friday. When we arrived for the final walk through, our house had no power and there were 9 trucks of people still working on our home. When I pointed out dings on the corners of the walls, I was told "You will ding this up worse than that when you move furniture in".

Half of the things we tagged in the final walk through were not completed. There was adhesive stuck to all of our floors making them look filthy and when I called for them to come back to fix it he said "We've never had a homeowner unhappy with our cleaning". He tried to make it seem like it was my fault instead of admitting they did a horrible job. I don't expect to have to deep clean my brand new home before I can move in. The carpets had clay stains on them so they had to call a carpet cleaning company to come steam clean them.

We were told they would be there that day and when they finally called to schedule they could not come until Monday. So we were not able to move any furniture into the bedrooms all weekend because we had to wait until the carpets were cleaned. At 7pm that night, my husband flushed a toilet for the first time and it overflowed everywhere so an emergency plumber had to come and fix it. Then, I tried to bathe my child and found that we had no hot water. Luckily, the plumber was still there and was able to fix it. There is still adhesive stuck to our floors and a sprinkler head is busted in the front yard. We were so excited about the purchase of our new home and our experience was terrible. DR Horton does not care about their customers and provides horrible customer service. I would have given 0 stars if it was an option. If you are thinking of purchasing a DR Horton home, DON'T and thank me later.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Many more issues that a new home should have. 7 months and many issues not fixed. Warranty claims are hit and miss since they call back the same contractor who did the poor quality work to fix his work. If he cared about doing the work correctly, he would have done it correctly the first time. Many owners have high heating bills because the houses leak air around exterior doors, windows, microwave vent and fireplace. Most of my neighbors say they would never buy another DR Horton home.

Original review: April 28, 2019

DR Horton has completed my Dream Home. I signed a contract to close June 10th here in AUGUSTA in the Spirit Pointe subdivision. I came there home shopping???? with a lender who approved me for a home. But my lender wasn’t their approved lender. They prequalified me and I was so excited.. I had a few things to fix to be prepared for the loan. Since they got done early, they wanted me to close early, however I wasn’t ready to close at the end of April. After that they pretty much started to prepare to sale the home I picked out to someone else. They were all friendly until I wasn’t ready to close early. I must say I’ve gotten emotionally attached to the home going there to pray every week. I called today to see if they were going to honor the contract and I was told I needed to pray. I am a single divorced mother. I feel like DR Horton washed their hands off me. This by far is one of the biggest disappointments in my adult life.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I purchased my home on September 2017 and submitted my 11 month warranty application late August 2018 with DR Horton. Up to now, there are still outstanding issues that they have not fixed or even addressed after they received my application. I have been patient with their warranty department because they always drag their feet when it comes to fixing/repairing broken or poor workmanship issues with the house but it is getting tiring and tedious to a point where I think the only way they will reply to my needs is to write a review about them.

Even after 19 months there are some significant issues that DR Horton missed or hasn't rectified with my property. For example, even though I received an initial walk through 1-2 weeks before closing, I did not receive a final walk through that day which could have save me a lot of time and headache because they would have to address the issues we found before we close on the property. But because I didn't get a final walk through, I had to wait 30 days, 90 days, and 11 months to have broken things in the house fixed or looked at. Most of these things could have been fixed before the house was handed to me.

Another big issue that I have about DR Horton is that I was not informed that there is a semi-finished irrigation system installed on my yard. No instructions, diagram, or manual was left to me about this feature. I found out about this just this month that there is one installed in my property and it is because my next door neighbor just happened to mentioned it to me. I didn't know about this for over 18 months! As soon as I know, I asked DR Horton for a diagram or schematics of the irrigation system to look for the sprinkler ends/heads so I can see what needs to be done to have this working but I was told that they did not make or keep any diagrams or plans of the irrigation system and they do not have any records of it. This basically makes the irrigation system they installed worthless since I don't even know where the pipes end or how far along they finished the irrigation system.

According to some estimate that I have gotten from landscapers, the cost of looking for the pipe ends is as much as just having a whole new irrigation installed because of the labor cost to locate and dig the pipes. I even contacted their landscaping contractor to ask if they have any records when they installed the system but was told that they do not have them. I am really disappointed in how DR Horton address their warranty issues and why I did not get all the necessary and needed information about my property. It is hard for me to believe that they stand for their work even for their premium brand such as Emerald Homes if they can't even address mundane issues such as repairing warranty issues on time and giving important information to a home owner. Be wary of buying from DR Horton.

Original review: April 25, 2019

My husband has already left a review in lieu of our experience, but I just HAD to come and leave one for myself. We were following through with building a Wilmington Plan on the perfect lot, when after paying the earnest money, spending hours in the sale office and touring homes, picking out colors, and getting our hearts involved in what we thought would be the home we raised our two little boys up in, ONLY to find out that DR Horton didn’t even own the land — not to mention it was confirmed that they did.

This was a serious life decision. We’re talking over 240k — a huge financial decision. One that was talked about through tears in front of the lot that we were going to build because of pure excitement. Still “waiting” to hear back from “corporate!” I’m still heartbroken but maybe these reviews are right. On a side note, the office staff is nice, the contractor hired by the company was extremely nice and helpful, just disappointed with the company.

Hi Laura Lyn.

We are happy that the lot you wanted has just been made available and our Raleigh team has provided you with the first opportunity to purchase. We are excited to have your family in the community.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I ONLY GAVE A STAR BECAUSE I HAD TO. My husband and I were super excited to buy a DR Horton home in East Texas. Our sales rep was amazing but there were problems with the tile that needed to be fixed before we closed. They lied and said they fixed it. We checked and it was not. They ended up fixing it before closing BUT after we closed on the house, we have had cosmetic and plumbing issues. IT IS LIKE PULLING TEETH OUT to get someone to do their job and fix the problem! We have to call and be rude to them to get a job done. Do NOT recommend EVER buying a home from them. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR HOME AFTER YOU CLOSE! Even before closing the builder was so rude!

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information