2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

BOTTOM LINE

D.R. Horton Homes are ideal for buyers who are ready to purchase but don’t want the hassle of customizing features. D.R. Horton offers energy-efficient features and smart home functionality.

PROS

• Energy-efficient
  • Smart home devices
  • Move-in ready
  • Financing available

CONS

• No customization
  • Limited availability

Top D.R. Horton Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended … Very thorough and patient. I can say anything else except I had [a] wonderful experience.

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR Horton homes. As of today's date we have a few small issues but none that can't be rectified by our warranty department..

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is D.R. Horton?

D.R. Horton Homes are available in a variety of floor plans, sizes and styles. To visualize the design and amenities offered by D.R. Horton, visit a model home or tour a finished community. You can schedule in-person visits to a model home during listed business hours, and newly finished houses can be scheduled for viewing directly from the digital listing on the D.R. Horton website.

Characteristics and features of D.R. Horton’s homes include:

• Open floor plans
    • State-of-the-art appliances
    • Energy-efficiency
    • Integrated geofencing technology
    • Multiplatform wireless network
    • One-wire connectivity
    • Hands-free communication.

You can access all functions of the home’s smart devices on the Qolsys IQ Panel, which allows you to use a variety of smart device products from one central location. From the Qolsys IQ Panel, you can adjust the thermostat, set the alarm, lock and unlock doors and set lights on a timer.

D.R. Horton closing costs and home prices

Prices of D.R. Horton homes vary based on the location, floor plan, size and style of the home selected. Most listings do not include closing costs or any related fees, so the price listed may not be 100% accurate. To determine an estimated mortgage payment you can afford, use the mortgage calculator on D.R. Horton’s website. Financing and insurance are available through affiliates of D.R. Horton Homes.

dr horton homes house

Photo (c) D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes FAQ

What is included in a D.R. Horton home?
    A home built by D.R. Horton features energy-efficient construction, integrated geofencing technology, a multiplatform wireless network, one-wire connectivity and hands-free communication. These features are powered by the Qolsys IQ panel. The panel is compatible with a Honeywell thermostat, Amazon Echo Dot, Kwikset Smartcode and Skybell. Some features may be unavailable in Hawaii.
    Are D.R. Horton Homes efficient?
    D.R. Horton uses energy-efficient roofing materials, siding, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Every D.R. Horton home features at least one appliance or product with an EnergyStar designation.
    Do D.R. Horton Homes come with appliances?
    Yes. D.R. Horton homes include Whirlpool appliances.
    Will D.R. Horton negotiate prices?
    The company is open to negotiation with any buyer. When negotiating pricing, consider using D.R. Horton’s immediate inventory and preferred vendors. You may receive a lower price.
    What is a D.R. Horton smart home?
    D.R. Horton smart homes are equipped with alarms, smart thermostats, wireless interior lighting controls, electronic deadbolts and smart video doorbells.

Is D.R. Horton a good builder?

D.R. Horton can be a good choice for buyers who want a move-in ready home that doesn’t require any remodeling. While D.R. Horton is a reputable company, it’s essential to vet the builder and conduct an appraisal. We like the affordability, convenience and capabilities offered by the company, so if the price works for you and you find a design and floor plan that suits your needs, we recommend D.R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

ALL GOOD with our 2yr old home. I feel the first owner was on a shake down cruise!!! I grew up in a 12,000 sq footer!! This is a beautiful home and smart! You can find something wrong with a perfect baby of diamond. I suppose I know what's quality. Wife and I love it to be perfectly honest!! So choose location and ground!! It's on and maybe got lucky and the workers are in tune etc. You can complain about a perfect weather day,,,,anytime.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

In reading some of the negative reviews for DR Horton I was compelled to write about my own experience. My husband and I purchased a home in the Landing at Rocklyn in Clemmons, NC. We have been in our new home for about 2 months and are loving it. From the day we walked into the sales office and met Maria we were sure this was the builder for us. She was nice, knowledgeable, and very approachable. She showed us several homes and never once pressured us to buy. She answered any questions we had very quickly and followed up with us. We had to change our closing date twice due to unforeseen complications with the selling of our home.

Both times I contacted Connie at DR Horton in the mortgage department and she changed the dates with no problem. We also cannot say enough about the construction manager Robbie. We had our new home inspected (which was their suggestion) before we closed and he found a few small problems (which I think they have to). Robbie fixed them with no questions asked. During our one month walk through, Robbie addressed every issue we had and even fixed the problems he could right then. I would highly recommend purchasing a DR Horton home.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Maureen. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you and your husband enjoy your new home for many years.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

My wife and I purchased a D.R. Horton home about 5 months ago, and I have to say, at least so far, we’ve had no bad experiences with the company or the build of our home. About a week into living in the home, we had plumbing back up, but we called our subcontractor who worked on the plumbing to come out using the emergency number and they came out and fixed it right away. Thankfully, it turned out to just be debris caught up in the lone. There were a few cosmetic issues during the walkthrough that we wanted addressed and they were, very promptly, by our superintendent. Then about a month after living in the house we discovered a couple more minor cosmetic issues that, again, were quickly and promptly taken care of by the superintendent, Keith.

We had a couple of tiles with smudges on them during the walkthrough and Keith immediately had the subcontractor who worked on the house come all the way from Orlando, about an hour and a half drive from our neighborhood, come out and fix it. Keith was very professional and understanding through the whole process, knowing this was the first home my wife and I would own together, and was always there to address any concerns or issues we had. Very professional with a great attitude and making sure any problems we had were taken care of right away.

We had also heard of problems with their mortgage company and preferred lender, but the communication and process with us was smooth and painless. Paul, who showed us the home, was the best. He still, to this day, several months after living here, checks in with us and makes sure everything is ok. We came by the house every weekend to make sure things were coming along well and he never was bothered by or minded us doing so. All in all, so far we’ve had no issues and the home appears to be well built and we love it. Subject to change down the road, of course, given wear and tear, but everyone with the company that we’ve worked with has been nothing but first rate. Would recommend based solely on our experience as of right now.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Matt. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: June 2, 2020

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended ❤. My next was my Lender Samuel M, who later acquired my account due some mishaps. But it was quickly rectified by him he too. Magnified excellent customer service and thorough explanation of each document it acquires. Never made me feel like I was bothering him. He too is highly recommended and behind the scenes were HBC representatives Easter L and Evelyn S, and I can't forget my wonderful loan processor BH and the builder Mark T. Man what a great guy. He explain our home to us. Very thorough and patient. I even saw him after I close. Had a question. Came over while he was working on another stop to assist. Wow. I can say anything else except I had an wonderful experience.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Sandra. Thank you for taking time to share your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

Purchased in Nov. 2019, the number of defaults are ridiculous. 1. Less than a week in doorknob leading to garage fell off in my hands. There were holes, yes holes behind bathroom sink, out of site. The pipes came in through the holes, the holes were just there. The doors were not hung properly, I could see light from the other side. Recently I've encountered a leak under the vanity in master bedroom, of course it's 60 days past warranty. Everything is poorly constructed. The company they recommended is the company that did the work, isn't that a conflict. Paint job is not quality work. I could go on forever- needless to say VERY dissatisfied. This just the tip of the iceberg.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I wish I could give them ZERO stars. My husband and I moved into one of their homes at the end of 2019. Granted, it was an older home, built in 2004, but new to us! We made it through our first winter just fine, but this current winter (end of 2020, early 2021), we started seeing signs of water intrusion in the windows/walls of the bonus room upstairs, and below it, the formal living room.

We immediately hired a mason and waterproofing company to come help us determine why the water intrusion was happening, the mason discovered (after pulling some bricks to see what was going on) that FLASHINGS WERE NEVER INSTALLED AROUND THE WINDOWS. Then to be a bit more picky, weep holes were never made, the original mason/DR Horton filled in the space between the brick and wall with mortar (this is supposed to be empty to allow for water flow), and they never properly treated the lintel, so it's rusting horribly and should be replaced. I could maybe deal w/ the last couple items, but not installing flashings is pure NEGLIGENCE and 100% against code back in 2004 and present day.

It's not like they were improperly installed, or failed over time, but they don't even exist. Completely illegal and should never have been signed off on to be able to live in this home. My husband reached out to the company to see if we could strike a deal with them and gave us a very solid "NO". How could a company even operate this way? We are looking at more than $20,000 to repair their NEGLIGENT construction. This builder needs to be put out of business. Not building a home to code is unacceptable and dangerous. Avoid them!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

We purchased the home in West View. The doorbell short circuited and fried the transformer. The microwave constantly trips when other devices are plugged in. The electric work was shoddy. The whole neighborhood was having the same issue.

D.R. Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

The best way to put this is I would allow the 3 little pigs to build my home before I would ever invest into another DR Horton home! The sales reps are not consistent with the builders nor are they genuine! They will lie and tell you anything for a signature then treat you like scum once you're locked into contract! I closed and my roof was blowing off the same week! My floor was caving in the bathroom. Too much to list, just pay more for MI home!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

If you are looking for a good quality home that will last a lifetime, please look elsewhere. If you are looking for a new home that comes with an abundance of flaws that the builder refuses to fix then a DR Horton home is the one for you! My wife and I recently moved to Georgia for the military and had the unpleasant experience of purchasing a DR Horton home. When we purchased our home we were told we would have warranty walkthroughs to fix flaws that needed to be addressed and let me tell you our home had plenty of flaws. Unfortunately DR Horton is arguing the flaws and refusing to fix them.

The ceiling in our living room and kitchen has a plethora of visible seams in the drywall that can be seen at all times of the day from any angle. But we were told that they will not fix them because it’s “normal”. I can look up and see individual sheets of drywall. They also installed “stainless steel” appliances that are covered in rust. They are having delays with the appliance company and are in no rush to replace the appliances when they can easily swap them out with a home that hasn’t sold or buy new appliances from a different source. Needless to say if you are able to please do yourself a favor and DO NOT make the same mistake we did by buying a DR Horton home. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Our house is less than five years old but since my family and I moved to this NEW HOUSE, we have had a lot of issues with. The garage door almost fell over my kids the first day we moved, because it was not installed correctly, found cracks on the wall inside and outside the house, screws missing in hinges, some shingles blew out of the roof, a dark spot was found under the new carpet when they came to put more nails on the floor because it was squeaking. The first year, my basement flooded because the sump pump was not working properly. The AC failed during the Summer and the temperature reached 91 degrees inside the house. The problem was that the cooling gas was almost empty because it was leaking from one of the pipes. The main smoke/fire detector failed too, the extractor fan from the bathroom was not working.

I notice some cracks around the house that I let the person from D.R. Horton know but he said nothing would happen and that I did not to be worried about it because it had a 10 years warranty since it was part of the foundation of the house. Today one of those cracks turned into a hole because the cement fell down and the guy who came here today said that the warranty does not cover it since it passed the warranty year. When I mentioned about the comments I did when I moved to this house, he told me that there were not any evidence registered in their computers.

Also, there was crack on one side of the basement walls where water was coming inside the house. The kitchen cabinet under the sink was not finished because there was a missing part and it was replaced with a different color. There was condensation inside the windows, the laminate flooring was not installed correctly. Water came inside the house from the main door because it was poorly installed and the handrail almost fell because was not properly attached.

Today, someone from D.R. Horton came (again) to see the hole on the wall outside the house and he said that the warranty could not cover it; moreover, he said that the hole could be covered with a five dollars patch from a home improvement retailer. Then, he started comparing the problems you could have buying a new car with buying a new house. This is incredible that a new house has had in less than five years a lot of issues. Before moving to this property, my family and I lived for 15 years in another house that was older than 25 years old and we did not have any issues like I mentioned before. We are disappointed with this house and with D.R. Horton because of the product quality and the services they provide.

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information