DR Horton Homes

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I just closed on a home almost a month ago. However, I have come across some serious issues that have yet to be addressed. I had sewage pouring onto my porch which was just corrected, but only because I feel, I contact the Department of Health. Since, the builder dug up my yard and has left a huge dirt pile of a mess. Additionally, I have old raw sewage still left on my porch which has yet to be cleaned up. This is unsanitary and I am still waiting for them to call me back to correct this.

Secondly, I have damp walls on my bathroom drywall, which is a huge concern to me which could result in mold. There are also 2 visible inside structural issues, that are very noticeable. I also can't use my garbage disposal because a screw or something has been dropped into the disposal, along with chipped hardwood. I have been stood up when I have taken days off and this has been very draining and stressful to say the least. I would like these items to be corrected, or I would even consider them buying the house back since I signed a page in the contract if it's something they can't repair. I should not have to be put out my home to get things taken care of, in which are construction defect.

Purchased new home from builder late in 2012. Prior to 1 year there was water damage in room affecting baseboard and drywall. Builder inspected and said I had a leaky roof. Drywall cut, insulation removed HUGE fans and dehumidifiers brought in. They caulked a stucco crack at my foundation level and said that was where the water was coming in. Fast forward to 1st quarter 2017 HUGE water stains on ceiling right under where roof was originally reported as leaking. Baseboard stained, drywall is actually puckering and bubbling in area 8X8. There is once again moisture in the wall.

DR Horton told me to call my homeowners insurance company. I have a 10 year structural warranty from RWC that says the BUILDER must repair leaky roof/valleys. The damage is $3500 to R&R drywall/insulation and repair roof. Additionally moisture remediation company will need to dry out the affected area - what if I have mold? Ridiculous. They are making me take them to small claims court. That is where I am headed - cost $380.

My home was a "clearance" for 2015 so they could close out Phase II in our neighborhood. Found it by chance, was under contract and underwriting with their finance company within about 10 days. The only issues, underwriting kept coming back saying I needed to pay off and close some charge accounts to get my numbers right. No biggie except they contacted me 3 different times during the last 2 weeks. The last time was the day before closing! OK, worked it out by closing the accounts and using funds from the sale of my current home to pay them off.

Second issue was not with DR Horton, it was with the buyer of my home. Won't go into detail because it was a nightmare that raises my BP. Basically, they didn't arrive to close at 11 am on a Friday, they went to the title company at 5:15! No way to wire the funds to DR Horton so I could get the keys to my new place. Problem was, I'd closed on the old place at 9 am that day and had the movers putting my possessions into the new home because the sales office gave us a key to do so. They and I believed I would be closing that day.

By the time 4 pm rolls around, I'm crying on my loan originator's shoulder. The closing manager and assistant decided to have me sign all the paperwork for closing while we waited on the other closing. Needless to say, I couldn't completely close that day because there was no way to get the check cashed from the title company that did the closing on my previous home. I couldn't get the keys!

I'm in a panic because technically, I'm "squatting" in a DR Horton home. Trying to figure out how to find a place to put 3 people and 4 cats until the following week. The closing assistant gave me her phone number and said if I could get a cashier's check for the amount needed to close on Saturday, to call her and she would meet me at their office to give me the keys. I was able to do so and she did.

I've had minor things happen since closing but they were fixed quickly, except for an issue with breakers tripping. The contractor that did the electrical has someone in scheduling that is a **, sorry but no other word for her. She was rude to me, wouldn't return calls, she wanted to work on her timeline, not mine. Now the guy that came out to check the problem was very nice and helpful. My Warranty guy was great about letting me know how this woman was and even asked me to write a letter to DR Horton about the issue, and copy him. He'd been trying to get rid of this company, or at least make them get rid of that woman for a long time. I love my house, no issues and in the last 2 years have made it my own style. Still things to do but not a rush.

My house closing was 03/31/2017. Very happy with my new house, the super nice sales agents, the construction director of this community and others workers. The purchase we made in the community of Jasmine Heights. The only complaint I have is about the washing machine, brand Frigidaire, model FAHE1011MWO. Super bad this washing machine. The technicians have come to fix it More than three times. I suggest to the new buyers in their inspections put them to work. I am tired with this situation.

I came to buy a home from DR Horton with my loan pre-qualified. Despite this, they require (it is in their contract) that I must prequalify with their mortgage company. I have provided paperwork from my lender that I am not only pre-qualified but fully underwritten and this is not enough. I am unhappy about having to supply my private financial information to a lender that I have no intention of taking a loan from. Be careful when signing a contract with them and make sure that you read everything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

9:10 AM. I'm a concerned future resident of the community. First of all, allow me to start by saying my wife and I adore all of the floor plans and upgrades. We were more excited because of the readiness of some of the properties that were ready to move in. We are ready to move in yesterday, granted the loan officers and underwriters permissible time. Our agent disclosed and stressed to your realtors and loan officer the span of time as well as the type of loan that we would need to qualify for the purchase of the home and wanted to know for certain that we would be able to close in time and it was depending on your loan officer's willingness to take a class to qualify for the particular loan.

Our agent also ascertained to all parties that if the loan officer couldn't do it, then we would have to look elsewhere regardless of how much we liked the home. We were promised and assured by your agents that your broker could and would get qualified for the type of loan that would accommodate our needs to purchase the home with the allotted time and both parties assured us that it would get done. Upon that promise we put our earnest money down to start the contract on ** which was suitable for our needs (all appliances and final touches, blinds, lights, fenced backyard etc...) and were told that we had nothing to worry about and that we were guaranteed that your lender would get us to the closing table.

My wife being more motivated than I was took the liberty to go ahead and sell some of our appliances for little of nothing to speed up the moving process, because the property that we are currently in for a lease purchase went into foreclosure. About a week in the process of contacting the lender to find out what documents were needed, back and forth, whom of which, I think is extremely busy, and going over to the property 3-4 times a day, becoming acquainted with who we thought were our new neighbors... My wife calls me from work about 8 am Monday morning, crying. My wife is not much for crying, so I ask fearing the worst (family member died), what's wrong? She mumbled they sold it. I said what?"... and she clearly said "they sold the house." I asked doubtfully, "How do you know?" I asked, "Did the realtors or the broker call you?" She said no, it was in her email. The heartbreak!!!

That evening, we went to confirm the email and find out why it was done in our opinion "unprofessionally". The realtors explained that they didn't know and was just as shocked as we were because no one had communicated that the house would be sold while we were still under a 30-day contract that we had not even exceeded a full week. Technically, we should still be under contract with that house with an upcoming closing date. However, I heard that there was a meeting in which neither of our representatives were present to debate the outcome of our binding contractual agreement of which, was stated that the loan officer could not get qualified in time and the loan would take longer than the agreed time, terminating the agreed contract by default.

This letter was not written to cast blame or expose any of these well intended good people that work for your corporation nor is it to bring down the integrity of what DR.HORTON Homes stands on. The purpose of this letter is however, to bring awareness to the lack of communication between the seller and consumer who fragilely takes the blunt of the blow.

The second part of this letter is to bring about reconciliation. I wish not to end our home buying experience on a bad note. As a veteran of the United States, the Navy taught me many things but accountability has always been number one. I see in the contracts accountability to the purchaser upon default but not to the seller. If the purchaser defaults, they lose their earnest money. What about the seller? Where's the accountability?

Which brings me to my final thought, our days in the house that we live in at present are numbered. We have to re-qualify for another loan because of the various prices of homes. The amount of time that it would take to build the house that we want would be too late. However, I have noticed that the two subdivisions of interest have at least two properties that are move in ready that have been there at least a year. I would like to suggest that we make one of those available signs a sold sign for what we had on the table for the previous address. Please feel free to contact me. Thanks future resident.

We were the second company hired to do work in Ellensburg, WA on a project. I had to change order the job numerous times due to lack of communication and very poor planning on Horton's part. They gave us framing plans only to do their work and expected us to just "wing it". We insisted on doing the work right which ultimately lost us the contract. NOT LOOSING SLEEP OVER IT!

There was only one contractor there that did their job correctly and that was us and maybe the concrete guys, framers didn't communicate with anyone and didn't leave any room for duct work, we had to cut holes and beams to fit things and completely change their plans, still the next house was done the same way. Furnaces are located in the attic on a two story home (big time no-no here in this climate). Duct to the downstairs is not able to move air due to improper size (not one that we did but the initial guys whom are now back) so the downstairs is ice cold while upstairs is nice and toasty. And to add insult to injury, the inspector for the city of Ellensburg could care less! Lawsuits a brewing there!

We did two houses there and they will be the only comfortable ones with acceptation for the single story homes. Beware! These guys are so about money and nothing else. Their mission statement is not what they are doing today. Not to mention the office staff is very slow at returning messages and phone calls however the ladies are very nice. Folks, never buy a spec home. They are garbage and the builders don't care. Get a custom builder and hire all the sub trades yourself so you get quality work.

We purchased a home from DR Horton in Shannon Cove Middletown DE. in 2015. This has been one of the most horrific experiences ever. We have been in our home for a year and 7 months. We still have not had the 30 day list completed nor the year list. When you call and ask about the process and getting things fixed, you are brushed off and given number after number to call with no results. We have had faulty plumbing, pipes that was glued together and broke, Vents coming apart in the basement that we had to tape and fix ourself because the water was leaking, carpet that is coming apart, etc.

This has been one of the most horrific experiences. We are going to file a lawsuit against this builder and also contact the news. We are veterans and this is not America's #1 home builder. Veterans stay away from this builder. They hire contractors that try to scam you and don't know what they are doing. The home office will only direct you to the local office and they only have a voice mail and never return your call. BEWARE.

We close in good faith the home was not permanently finished. We let the contractor to have the garage code so he and other workers could get in to fix a lot of problems with the plumbing, stains on the floor which is not regular tile. We arrived with a handymen, and we almost passed out of the surprise that after closing all the appliances have been switched for inferior ones or refurbished appliances. The workers ate and drank our champagne and have broken a bottle in the kitchen floor. We have some wine and food for a party, since the contractor Craig has given them the code to enter in our garage. They decided to have the party without us. Many things broken and never replaced. It is the worst moving experience we ever had.

We called the police, but my boyfriend didn't want to place any charges. We still have a broken dishwasher, switched garbage disposal $700.00 bill. The W.M. never worked so we have to buy a new one out of our pocket. Their landscaping were palm trees already dead and they would make a hole and leave all the rocks and sand there, never a drop of soil. Now most palm trees and bushes are dying, including the grass. Then the Landscaping people comes with machetes and chip up all the flowers. They sprayed grass and other plants with weed killer. I advise anyone to bring a construction contractor to inspect the home before buying it. This house has affected my health so much, because the large amount of work that you have to do before moving in, and then calling and begging Horton Homes to fix problems is a game, that we got tired of playing.

We are happy with our new home in Colorado's Park Preserve. We were attracted to the area by the beautiful setting and the tasteful decorating of the interior. The front and rear landscaping and fencing and large covered back deck, included in the price, were added benefits. The few cosmetic problems we have encountered were quickly repaired by the Superintendent and warranty department. This is a new development, but so far, we are very pleased.

We purchased a new home in a new "luxury" community of Horton's under the Emerald Homes division. Upon initial inspection multiple items were reported to DR Horton from air vents, dryer exhaust system not installed, drainage issues, the list is too long for this site. The builder contracted with vendors who were not qualified for this size home and made many mistakes. The management team is clearly apathetic to fixing issues but would rather send new "superintendents" (we have had seven in two years) and start the clock over and over with each new employee. They disregard standards and codes and county guidelines. It is also clear the employees are given a script, like a bad insurance company, and deny responsibility for even the most obvious blunders.

This company claims to be "America's Finest Builder," yet they care nothing about their customers. We are prepared to file a class action suit against this builder. If you are an Emerald Homes customer and have shared the same level of dissatisfaction, please feel free to contact us. This is a publicly traded company and needs to recognize the power of its customers. You may email me at **. We would love to hear about your experiences as well. Perhaps we can make a difference in the way this organization conducts itself in the future. Thanks for listening.

I see a lot complaints about DR Horton Homes, but I don't have one complaint. Well, except the driveway could've been extended out more and garage a little bigger but we've had no problems in the almost 2 years since we purchased our home. It doesn't have all the bells, whistles and trimming like some of the other builders we looked at but it was built very sturdy and very energy efficient. Meritage homes also is a builder in my subdivision and their buyers do nothing but complain about issues with their homes. I'm glad we made the decision to go with DR Horton and it's an actual DR Horton home not one of the companies they own. We consider ourselves very blessed!

I worked with Kevin the DR Horton's loan originator in DALLAS, and had a worst experience. Avoid to answer your question, misbehavior, rude. When we asked detail about loan, start crying that we are giving tough time, and stop providing quote. Think when you sign agreement. They offer closing cost, etc, so basically he tried to make your lost. And his company lost. Thanks we got good loan from outside lender, and happy with outside lender – they are very professional and informative.

I don't want to make this review appear like a typical disgruntled consumer, but I would like to point out some concerns that I feel buyers looking for a quality builder will want to know. First & foremost the DR Horton customer service is great, but they need to back it up with ACTION & QUALITY workmanship. Case & Point, less than 2 weeks in the new home and dishwasher & air conditioning fail... I mean they do not work and we are in 95+ temperatures this week in SoCal. In addition, half the electrical outlets quit working and of course the bathrooms were affected.

This was a Tuesday night and we're told Wednesday morning by a DR Horton service rep that we would have to wait until Friday for our air conditioning repair since there are numerous problems in our development. In addition, we would have to call the dishwasher manufacturer who told us they would not be out until next Monday. We have no air, have to wash dishes & no electrical outlets in bathrooms. Recommendation, DR Horton needs to hire quality subcontractors. I have great concerns about the home quality.

When we bought our home, we were young first time homebuyers and caught up in the idea of a shiny, brand new home. We experienced problems but nothing compared to what others in our neighborhood were experiencing so we considered ourselves lucky and knowing better for when we bought again in the future. Well, here we are, trying to sell and our recent home inspection found several items that fall back on DR from time of construction!!! I don't recall these items being on the inspection conducted when we purchased this piece of garbage because I'm fairly certain two of the items I would have called them out on but now here we sit with potentially being royally screwed on trying to sell our home because of THEIR lack of workmanship (obviously some of the wear and tear is on us and we fully accept that, but we have to take the brunt of both that and DR building homes NOT TO STANDARD). And they don't even CARE!

You pull these people up and you can see SO many horrible reviews and it's like their workmanship is getting WORSE!!! I know they're not going to make things right by the hardworking people who purchase these homes trusting they're getting quality workmanship so the best I can do is give my hard lesson learned bit of advice and say NEVER BUY DR HORTON... and I'm sure you can apply that to ANY cookie cutter builder because in my opinion I would think they're all the same.

Do. Not. Buy. DR Horton. Homes. Look ELSEWHERE for your home builder. I'm embarrassed by their customer support and by the appearance of the front of my home. Trust the national reviews and nightmarish stories about DR Horton on ABC News - ** and NBC News - **. The stories are true and the bad dreams are pure realities. My driveway concrete, front walkway, and front steps look NOTHING like the other 17 DR Horton Homes in my development. I have discoloration spots, spotty markings, faded sections, and unsightly patterns. Every time it rains, the ugliness is amplified tenfold and my front property looks like some sort of failed attempt at animal print abstract art. I filed warranty requests, made calls, emailed their warranty services.

They came out upon my first request and a very competent and professional man named Tom used my hose to saturate the concrete and LITERALLY said "Yeah that's definitely not right" but no one has honored Tom's (their own workers) word. They sent CRAIG out upon my second filed complaint and he does not see the problem, somehow. He called me upon my THIRD request and began with "Well, I thought this was a done issue, but here you are again." How dare he and they. My ENTIRE development has a Facebook Group page about all the issues we ALL have with our homes that were all built in 2014 and 2015. Do. Not. Buy. DR Horton. Homes.

Our DR Horton was purchased used. We purchased in 2009, home was built in 2006. In 2015, we noticed mold growing in our shower. When we decided to upgrade the shower, we found regular sheetrock behind the shower walls. We are now having trouble with the tub and finding out that installation was not correct. Wish we could go back in time...

We have had nothing but issues since moving into our brand new D.R. Horton home. I am so disappointed in the quality! There are days when we have 5 different contractors coming to make repairs in our home. DR Horton hires the cheapest labor possible and they do an awful job! Not to mention that they do not come when you schedule them, so you end up going home to meet them and wait several hours for them to even show up -- if they show up at all. Working people do not have time to take off to hand hold these vendors while they fix what should have been done correctly the first time.

DR Horton also does not even compensate for the inconvenience as a good faith gesture. For instance, we wanted to get our ceramic tile/grout sealed, but because we were waiting on their awful vendors to fix several tiles that were cracking (after 1 month!), we now have to pay to get our tile and grout cleaned before sealing it. Never been so disappointed in a home well over $200k!

I bought my home in 2014 and I have nothing but problems with it. I have a water leak by my bathroom vent and my backdoor also leaks, my ceiling is also uneven and when it is dark you can see it. The house to me is a total disappointment. Oh and these so called nail pops are ALL OVER THIS HOUSE!!! When you contact the warranty department all you get is a runaround. Yes they have sent their horrible contractors out to try and fix the problems and they were made worse. Buying DR Horton is a HUGE MISTAKE. If you are in the middle of trying to buy one, PLEASE RUN!!! You will be stuck with a problem house forever!

We are 2 1/2 years into our brand new home purchase from DR HORTON. This was the worst decision of my life investing 500K on a house that has had nothing but problems since day one. I did not read or research all the horrible reviews on Horton construction and business practices. They will not repair items unless you hire attorneys to hold their feet to the fire, when anything is submitted on the computer for items needing repair within the window of your warranty, they take a year before they will get around to fixing anything. Our community has, not to code full brick chimneys put on top of roofs here with ZERO support for the load bearing weight. We collectively had to involve county officials to remedy our issues holding Horton accountable with possible fines if they do not repair the dangerous situation as our chimneys could crash thru our roofs.

Mine was finally repaired but I fought for over a year and a half until it got resolved. Personally, we have had numerous issues to include MOLD growing under our crawlspaces, wood floors cracking, snapping and popping faulty installation and acclimation, cracked tubs and shower tiles, poor drainage and the list goes on. Our entire neighborhood has a host of issues to include water intrusion and leaky roofs. Once you sign on the dotted line the small print of Horton's contracts have clauses where you can not go to court should you have a problem, in our case arbitration is only permitted. We collectively had had numerous complaints and legal counsel costing us (the entire neighborhood) Thousands of dollars in legal fees, structural engineers, and inspectors.

It is a nightmare owning a DR HORTON home. I would not wish it on my worst enemy. To top it off most of the employees who work directly for Horton, go out of their way to evade having anything repaired, they are not in the business of customer service, they are in the business of saving company money no matter what to include safety issues. In 2 and 1/2 years we have had over 5 or 6 managers come and go and every sub that shows up states Horton never pays them and they don't want to do work unless they have work orders in hand. Bottom line here, buying a Horton home is the WORST investment you will ever make. Be sure to watch the 20/20 YouTube video of the practices of this ruthless company. I watch many of my neighbors with tears in their eyes, watching their life savings in shambles due to the investment of purchasing a Horton home. My advice is to RUN as fast as you can.

This is one of many complaints. I have had serious issues with my home of less than 2 years old with D.R. Horton home builders in Palm Bay, FL who is the closest to me for warranty service. Dealing with the issues on my home since I purchased it in 2015 has been a nightmare. D.R. Horton used substandard materials using contractors who installed these inferior items with exceptionally-poor workmanship compounding a now severe problem with foundation and floors. I have had the drastic inconvenience of having (5) windows completely removed from my home due to improper initial installation. I've dealt with serious rug issues (4 times) due to substandard workmanship and materials and so many other problems too numerous to list.

I have discovered that many other D.R. Horton Homeowners in my subdivision are suffering from the same issues I have. D.R. Horton provides only professional lip service by lying over and over again that the problems will be taken care of hoping that the disgruntled homeowners will go away. D.R. Horton's Warranty Service Manager in Palm Bay promises to personally take care of the problems but it never happens. I have already been put off four months without any contact from D.R. Horton. They don't care about their customers after they have your money.

Writing to Mr. Douglas Horton (CEO) operating out of D.R. Horton Corp. Headquarters in Ft. Worth, TX is useless too. Again, they have your money... so they don't care. They answer this and other complaints with a phone call promising action and tell BBB they are working with the consumer on their problem. LIARS... LIARS. They make sure they call rather than put anything in writing to the consumer. Anyone who is reading this needs to understand that if you want a quality home with a proper warranty, DON'T BUY A D.R. HORTON HOME.

Our DR Horton home was purchased new. Numerous minor problems and cosmetic omissions after move in. Paint, shelving, flooring issues were always argumentative but eventually repaired. However, 18 months after move in, a protruding bulge was found behind curtains in bedroom. Upon inspection, there was major water accumulation in wall. Called DR Horton and they sent the same argumentative representative out to inspect. We were told that the company that replaced our roof had left flashing off of roof and that for 18 months rainwater had been collecting inside bedroom wall. I informed him that that was hard to believe, and asked if he was positive that that was the cause. He insisted that that was the problem. I then informed him that we had never had the roof replaced. At that point he committed to taking care of the flashing. After a long drawn out process they also repaired the associated damaged that was caused.

However, at clearance of air quality we still had a major mold issue. After several thousands of dollars of searching, we discovered that in the main black water drain line from the upstairs to the downstairs, instead of a typical union they had joined the two drain lines with a cleanout tee that was turned into the inside of the wall. This cleanout had a loosely threaded plug in it. Naturally the plug leaked into the wall behind our kitchen cabinets. It also caused the brickwork on the exterior of the house to sit outside of the foundation. We had to replace cabinets, walls, appliances, do additional repair to electrical work that was outside of code.

All of this was discovered because we hired a third party inspector to inspect the home. He also disclosed that our stairs were not built to code and could not be built to code within the envelope available in the house. Two falling accidents have occurred on the stairs because they are different heights and depths. I spent numerous hours attempting to have these issues addressed and after spending almost $90,000.00 to repair, was offered less that $4,000.00 by one of the principals of DR Horton (last name Horton) for our troubles. I would plead that anyone looking for a new home, buy from anyone other than DR Horton. Any young couple without the financial means that we were blessed to have would have been devastated by a similar situation. Do not walk away, RUN as fast as you can.

We have been in our S. Tampa home now for 1 month and overall we love the house. The only small issue that we have had was a shelf in the master closet fell due to the supports not being properly placed in the studs. No big deal. Our biggest issue with this whole deal was in signing the contract. We were sent a copy of the contract electronically so never had a true copy to go over and scrutinize. Our mistake. After signing their contract, because they would not accept our agent's contract, we realized that in section 16 (closing), box E. We agreed to pay for all the costs related to closing. We did not received a list of the estimated closing costs and when we did the costs were over $8,000!!! We immediately called our estate attorney who said we were basically stuck.

Also, the original offer had to be a verbal prior to the written signing of the contract. We had asked for a bedroom to be repainted and the agent said "no problem". The minute we signed the contract she said that since it was not in the contract listed as a contingency they weren't going to paint the room. Really? ?How cheap considering this was a cash sale and there was already going to be some paint touch ups that needed to be done. Also, after you sign the contract you cannot get out based on inspection. According to the contract they reserve the right to repair what is found with the inspection, but you are STUCK with the house like it or not!! Proceed with caution and it's worth the cost to have an attorney review everything before you sign.

I'm in a new DR Horton community in Austin, Texas. The quality of the work is poor. From the first day we moved in, we have had nothing but problems. Shelving missing in cabinets. Cabinet in master bedroom literally fell out of the wall when you open the drawer. Poor craftsmanship on drywall on some of the walls. Contractors left dried glue on floor and a stain in the hallway. The garage is super small. We can't even get into the attic. Water came through the ceiling downstairs the first time my husband took a shower upstairs.

Will try to keep this as short as possible. Why I will never purchase a DR Horton home again: Appraisal came back low and forced us to pay more towards closing cost than originally contracted for. Originally offered to pay full closing costs, but with a preferred lender. Their closing costs were in the $12k range when I could have chosen my own for about $4k. When appraisal came back low, they made us pay towards closing anyway. Shower valve not installed properly from the moment we moved in. French drain had to be repaired and replaced around the entire yard. Took me finding COO and CEO to complain to get this addressed.

"Dummy" receptacles located in the garage. Faulty toilets installed had to be repaired. Leak in main valve in irrigation system not found until two months later and a $248 water bill later (in the winter)- had to be repaired and corrected (a month after discovery so incurred higher bill again and no reimbursement by company for my costs). Garage shorted out- I had to pay for someone to come and hard wire it. Tankless water heater installed on outside of home. Pipe froze in 20 degree weather - I had to pay for someone to come out and correct it.

My shower has constant mildew growth in the caulking joints and tile even with cleaning and scrubbing that comes back every time. DR Horton has recaulked the shower once. Been a month now with no one coming out to my home to address the issue. Subfloor creaks upstairs when you walk on it. Did I mention we have only owned the home since November 2015? All of this in 1 year. Customer service is beyond terrible. Their homes look good but they are cheaply built. Will never, ever buy a DR Horton home again.

We have lived in our house for two years and have had ac/heater fixed at least four times. Upstairs bathroom didn't have piping completed under the sink so it flooded bathroom. Floors upstairs creek due to it not being nailed down completely. The house was almost two months late being completed. Vinyl floors discolored due to water. Shower tiles are lifting. I know there is more but this is just an idea on the poor quality of building they provide. This is definitely a half assed job on building. When I talk to my neighbors they have had multiple problems as well. This company has no urgency for issues or compassion for their screw ups. I will say the newer employee, for about a year or so, Taylor is trying to make things better. I wouldn't recommend this builder to anyone.

We moved into our home in early September. Company changed from Crown Communities to D.R. Horton right before we closed. The grout around our kitchen countertops is completely cracked ALL the way around the kitchen, as well as in our shower. The tub is great if you don't want the water to cover your belly button (super shallow). Loose shingles, a bush that was already dead when we moved in. We have tried to schedule our 2 month inspection and we are coming up on month 4 of being in the house. They have yet to send anyone to address our list of problems, as they promised when you sign the contract and at the final walk through.

Many neighbors have said that they have not had their inspections either. They got rid of one of the only person on site who actually helped the residents fix issues. The HOA is run by an AWFUL company. We are paying $400/yr to "maintain" common areas that ALL have dead grass, nails EVERYWHERE, no lighting. Almost EVERY house has issues with grading and flooding in their yards. They were putting major beams on the roof of a house in the pitch dark with no lighting late one night (I'm sure OSHA wouldn't approve). Don't waste your time or money. I would say, buy a resale or build with a small, local builder. D.R. Horton is the worst quality and to work with. I'll definitely be reporting to the BBB.

I am concerned about the safety issues and/or harm to the building as their warranty office is not fixing most of the technical issues in my building inspection which were identified by an ICC CODE CERTIFIED INSPECTOR. I have submitted my warranty requests on time and followed up with their local office several times, but there is no help yet.

We purchased our new DR Horton home and moved in on September 1, 2016. We purchased a Calastoga II with 4,000 sq ft. Our first problem was drainage. The front walk and flower beds flooded when we have heavy rain, which happens often in Houston Texas. DR Horton carefully evaluated the drainage issue and arranged for a crew to grade our front yard, move a flower bed, and install french drains which solved the problem.

After 2 months our master shower would not drain. DR Horton to the rescue again. Seems the tile installers let grout get in the P-Trap. They sent out plumbers who jack hammered our drain, replaced the drain line, had tile installers replace the tile and even sent out a cleaning crew to clean up the mess. Then we had an electrical issue with breakers tripping. Again, DR Horton sent out the electricians who replaced some breakers, conducted extensive troubleshooting, and repaired the problem. In our opinion, DR Horton is a great builder. We feel we have a high quality home with excellent warranty repairs. Treat them with respect and keep the appointments with their repair crews and DR Horton will take good care of you.

I have submitted my warranty requests on time and still have not had many of them resolved. I have called, filed warranty claims and sent emails many many many times!!!! Exterior Repairs needed: Cracking was noted in the driveway concrete. Two areas of concrete near the center relief joint were found to have a fairly large chunks missing. This is not correct, especially on concrete as new as is present. Replacement needed. A number of small chunks were noted to be missing from the surface of the sidewalk concrete. This is unusual/incorrect, especially on concrete as new as this. Repair/replace as needed. Caulking is needed to some of the trim around the exterior of the home. Also, caulking is recommended around the television cables that penetrate the North exterior wall to prevent water penetration.

Interior Repairs needed: Sloppy caulking was noted too much of the baseboard trim, where it meets the tile floors. This issue was especially notable around door jambs and trim. Scratches and minor cosmetic damage were noted to the facing of some kitchen drawers and cabinet doors. The granite counter tops were not professionally sealed and polished. The granite is rough, porous and pitted. The dryer exhaust pipe was capped off which caused the dryer to overheat prematurely damaging the dryer. The pipe was routed to exhaust outside by a repair done by the roofer a month ago. The dryer is still overheated and not drying clothes. The piping should have been replaced. The dryer and the piping needs replacing. Interior Door trim molding was cut too short and covered up with chalking and grout by your amateur carpenters. Kitchen cabinets are poorly finished.

My mother and I have tried to get many of these issues resolved during the first couple weeks of ownership and throughout the year with the building manager. Which seems to have fallen on deaf ears. We were told to wait until the first year warranty date. Truly poor workmanship on so many levels. I expected more from a respected national builder that advertises quality. I have pictures but no way to send them to you.

Expert Review

Joseph TruiniHome Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.    More about Joseph→

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.
  • Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.
  • Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.
  • Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.
  • Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.
  • Best for D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Compare Builders & Developers