2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

BOTTOM LINE

D.R. Horton Homes are ideal for buyers who are ready to purchase but don’t want the hassle of customizing features. D.R. Horton offers energy-efficient features and smart home functionality.

PROS

• Energy-efficient
  • Smart home devices
  • Move-in ready
  • Financing available

CONS

• No customization
  • Limited availability

Top D.R. Horton Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended … Very thorough and patient. I can say anything else except I had [a] wonderful experience.

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR Horton homes. As of today's date we have a few small issues but none that can't be rectified by our warranty department..

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

What is D.R. Horton?

D.R. Horton Homes are available in a variety of floor plans, sizes and styles. To visualize the design and amenities offered by D.R. Horton, visit a model home or tour a finished community. You can schedule in-person visits to a model home during listed business hours, and newly finished houses can be scheduled for viewing directly from the digital listing on the D.R. Horton website.

Characteristics and features of D.R. Horton’s homes include:

• Open floor plans
    • State-of-the-art appliances
    • Energy-efficiency
    • Integrated geofencing technology
    • Multiplatform wireless network
    • One-wire connectivity
    • Hands-free communication.

You can access all functions of the home’s smart devices on the Qolsys IQ Panel, which allows you to use a variety of smart device products from one central location. From the Qolsys IQ Panel, you can adjust the thermostat, set the alarm, lock and unlock doors and set lights on a timer.

D.R. Horton closing costs and home prices

Prices of D.R. Horton homes vary based on the location, floor plan, size and style of the home selected. Most listings do not include closing costs or any related fees, so the price listed may not be 100% accurate. To determine an estimated mortgage payment you can afford, use the mortgage calculator on D.R. Horton’s website. Financing and insurance are available through affiliates of D.R. Horton Homes.

dr horton homes house

Photo (c) D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes FAQ

What is included in a D.R. Horton home?
    A home built by D.R. Horton features energy-efficient construction, integrated geofencing technology, a multiplatform wireless network, one-wire connectivity and hands-free communication. These features are powered by the Qolsys IQ panel. The panel is compatible with a Honeywell thermostat, Amazon Echo Dot, Kwikset Smartcode and Skybell. Some features may be unavailable in Hawaii.
    Are D.R. Horton Homes efficient?
    D.R. Horton uses energy-efficient roofing materials, siding, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Every D.R. Horton home features at least one appliance or product with an EnergyStar designation.
    Do D.R. Horton Homes come with appliances?
    Yes. D.R. Horton homes include Whirlpool appliances.
    Will D.R. Horton negotiate prices?
    The company is open to negotiation with any buyer. When negotiating pricing, consider using D.R. Horton’s immediate inventory and preferred vendors. You may receive a lower price.
    What is a D.R. Horton smart home?
    D.R. Horton smart homes are equipped with alarms, smart thermostats, wireless interior lighting controls, electronic deadbolts and smart video doorbells.

Is D.R. Horton a good builder?

D.R. Horton can be a good choice for buyers who want a move-in ready home that doesn’t require any remodeling. While D.R. Horton is a reputable company, it’s essential to vet the builder and conduct an appraisal. We like the affordability, convenience and capabilities offered by the company, so if the price works for you and you find a design and floor plan that suits your needs, we recommend D.R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: June 2, 2020

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly recommended ❤. My next was my Lender Samuel M, who later acquired my account due some mishaps. But it was quickly rectified by him he too. Magnified excellent customer service and thorough explanation of each document it acquires. Never made me feel like I was bothering him. He too is highly recommended and behind the scenes were HBC representatives Easter L and Evelyn S, and I can't forget my wonderful loan processor BH and the builder Mark T. Man what a great guy. He explain our home to us. Very thorough and patient. I even saw him after I close. Had a question. Came over while he was working on another stop to assist. Wow. I can say anything else except I had an wonderful experience.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Sandra. Thank you for taking time to share your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I would like to give a BIG shout out to Laura **, Sales Rep. and Willis **, Superintendent. From start to finish these guys did what it took to make my client's dream come true. Laura, thanks for showing us around and taking many hours in helping my client and myself from day one. Willis, thanks for always being there and getting the job done and taking care of whatever came up. Also, for showing lots of patience with my client. Again these two go over and beyond for their Co. D.R. Horton should feel mighty proud to have these two on the Team!

- Curt, Realtor

D.R. Horton Homes response

Thank you, Curt, for taking time to post your comments. We hope your clients have many very happy years in their new home.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Hi! I am hoping my post can help some one else on making a decision before doing business with DR Horton or anyone else. This is my first home purchase and I couldn’t be happier! My experience was truly a positive one and although things we not perfect but i will say my builder did everything he could in his power to fix anything that was not to my satisfaction in a timely fashion as possible! I purchased in Boardwalk subdivision in Lancaster, Texas. I purchased a model home and got a lot for my money. My best friend purchased her first home from DRHorton in Saganaw,Texas 2 yrs ago and is now purchasing her 2 home from them as well. I would recommend DRHorton to anyone who wants a great value for your hard earned dollars!

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Darlene! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to have you as part of the D.R. Horton family and hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My boyfriend and I just purchased a home from DR Horton and absolutely LOVE it. Our sales rep was awesome and our builder was amazing during the first walk through. ALL our blue tape objects were fixed before the second walk through and they have been very responsive when it comes to smaller items being fixed in the house so far. The builder gave us his personal phone number to call or text if we had any problems or questions. The builder really made us feel that we were the only buyers even though they had sold 8 other homes that month and he should have been very busy.

Our house was a little pricier than the surrounding neighborhoods but with the customer service we have had and the people at D.R. Horton who made us feel special, it was a lovely experience. Not to mention the 1 year "bumper to bumper" warranty we have on the house in case we need any repairs done asap is AWESOME! We love the area and the backyard is WAY bigger than any other builder was offering in our price range. D.R. Horton takes into account that you don't want 10 ft of backyard and a neighbor so close you could open your window and touch their house. We have had an awesome experience so far and really love our little home.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Brittany! Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome to the D.R. Horton family. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: July 29, 2020

We purchased a new construction by DR Horton in 2013. We have had 3 major problems now, some appear to be common occurrence with this builder. The day we moved into our home - July 31 - heat of summer - our AC wasn’t cooling. After THREE calls within the first few days of living in home, we discovered the siding contractor had nailed through AC lines.

Shortly thereafter, we discovered a roof leak, due to the roofing contractor neglecting to seal around vent caps and flashing. They also did not install the ice/water barrier. Now we are experiencing MAJOR cracks in the exterior brick on two sides of the home and cracks on interior wall. The drainage has also been an issue with our entire neighborhood. We had French drain installed, but still experience poor drainage. As do most of our neighbors.

This has been a very disappointing experience for us, and will be the ONLY DR Horton home we EVER own. Poor quality workmanship, cuts corners, slow response times and overall general lack of service or concern for their customers. Wish we had done more research before purchasing this home. Hard lesson we’ve had to learn. Very sad to see our 7 year old home LITERALLY FALLING APART.

Original review: July 28, 2020

MANY in our new neighborhood in Florida (Orchids at Cypress Creek in Sun City Center, FL) have had issues with our flooring. Most with second level homes have uneven, creaky flooring. When you open a warranty claim, they send a DR EMPLOYEE and NOT an independent contractor who come to your house and act like uneven flooring is normal. This is the second time I've had to have them come out to "fix" the floor- discovered another area that is also uneven. I HIGHLY recommend you get a HOME inspection as multiple people in my area are having the same issue. They hire the absolute cheapest workers who do shoddy work.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Use extreme caution when dealing with any D.R. Horton development. The sales concept is designed to lure buyers with lower then average pricing, compile multiple Buyers for the same property then drive the price. This builder builds a substandard product that is not close to what you’ll see in the models. Please do your homework - look at the all listed reviews and Better Business Bureau (BBB) complaints before purchasing from this builder. It will save you valuable time and unseeded stress. You are making a big purchase that you will probably have to live with for life. Don’t make the mistake of waking up in a home that you won’t be happy in because of some type of buyer's remorse that you have a great chance of getting with this builder.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 24, 2020

Bought home in 10/2018. 12/2018 ac issues surfaces. 18+ months of being without a fully functioning ac system in a home less than 2 years old. No resolution from DR Horton. Gaping hole in ceiling leaking, no cool air, decrease psi pressure, unit leaking.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Our sales and building team were excellent. The quality and workmanship is very good. Our complaints are with the HOA or DR Horton employees controlling the HOA. They are not moving forward with opening the Community Pool and Clubhouse. The excuse is Covid19 and their risk. As homeowners we have no power to make this happen. We are paying these HOA fees and are not getting the services we were promised other than lawn mowing. People here are very angry and are now putting up signs saying to open the pool. We want answers not excuses.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I bought my Horton home on 5/15. It's a really nice home in a nice area. There are a lot of defects and most of them aren't being fixed because the contractors aren't being allowed inside (at least that's what the superintendent told me). That's all fine, these are difficult times and I'm not sweating the small things. However, after living there a week we notice our sump pump constantly runs. Our water usage is 4x the average in our neighborhood. I talked to the office a week after moving in.

A week later I talked to the superintendent again. I was told to verify my sprinkler timer and that I should expect to use more water for new sod. All valid points, but 50000 gallons for 2.5 weeks on a small lawn is insane. Here we are six weeks later. My sump pump is constantly pumping water from my foundation. Even if it hasn't rained in days (it pumps A LOT of water out every 10 minutes) Horton is saying that just means the pump is working and gave me a formulas for water usage in my system that adds up to 850 gallons per cycle and 70000 gallons a month.

I calculated the max water flow from the system based off the flow from each head for the amount of time they run per cycle. This worked out to 140 gallons per cycle it 19000 a month. Since I only used my system for 2.5 weeks it should have been closed to 13000... I was billed for 47000. This is causing serious structural issues for my house and sidewalk. My grass is also not a swamp and dying from drowning. Horton has not doing more than 5 minutes investing my issue in 6 weeks and they won't even respond to my service requests.

I bought a new home so I don't have to do all the work for major issues and now I'm forced to take care of this myself and deal with the long legal road ahead. I've spent all my free time since moving in trying to get them to fix this... The amount of time and energy I've put into this is staggering and absolutely zero effort on their part even after contacting the corporate office. Avoid buying from D.R. Horton if you don't enjoy losses on your investment and long legal battles.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Eric. Thank you for your review. We have escalated your concern to our Denver office for their review and action.

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information