1.35/5
Based on 126 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

678 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 20, 2018

I am very disappointed with DR Horton’s home mortgage division. Feel like the rep set me up for failure. The rep is horrible at working with self employed people and she was also very rude, snippy and condescending to me throughout the process. She requested documents at the last minute, had me pay off stuff then told me that my income verification was not good enough. She had me pay a CPA to do a profit and loss then the next day said she couldn’t use it and lied to my real estate agent about items she requested. I regret looking at DR Horton Homes. I have been treated very bad by this lady.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Natasha. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, the property address and other details so we can research your concerns.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I purchased my house from the original owner, while under warranty and within 1 year my kitchen tiles started cracking. I was concerned that my foundation may be moving, as some of the houses in my neighborhood had been having that issue. I contacted DR Horton and notified them of my concern and they sent an engineer to perform an assessment, the reported result was that my house had moved within an acceptable range, and there was nothing to be done. 5 years later I put my house on the market and during the inspection another assessment was performed on my foundation by two different companies, who came to the same conclusion that my foundation had moved and was need of repair. In order to sell my house I must have the work done to the tune of $8,000.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I bought a house at silver peaks in Lochbuie CO about 1 month ago and everything has been ok with minor touchups. Except when I went to put my pickup in the garage it didn't fit. My truck measure 230" Chevy specs. That's 19 ft. 2 inches. My plans read 20'x20'4". I sent an email to DR Horton and got a call back from Dustin contacting manager. He says the plans are just estimate measurements. Lol. How come nobody told me??? Especially since we talked about the garage with our salesperson. Who builds homes on estimate plans??? So now he said I have to suck it up because he can't do anything about it. That to me is very very dishonest. So I just purchased a new home that I can't fit my truck in which to me is a big deal since my old house had a 20x24 garage that did fit and did measure up!!! Now I will be calling around lawyers or other higher ups that can do something for me or others so they don't get ripped off like they did me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The reasonable price and apparent value for the money induced me to visit a DR Horton community. The sales associate was friendly and knowledgeable. My home is pretty, spacious and came fully equipped. Been in it 2.5 years and remain satisfied. I had one warranty issue that the company repaired without delay and without question. I have no regrets. I have upgraded light fixtures, added trim and made other changes to the home. For example, the sinks, toilets and tubs are baseline models. Had to change the guts (Flapper on both and valve on one) out of two of the toilets. Twenty minutes max. Still, the lines are straight and the corners are square. The carpet is FHA grade. Appliances are Whirlpool.

What a potential Horton home purchaser must keep in mind is that these homes go up like lightning. They are contractor grade homes. Not premium homes. You get what you pay for. Horton handles the purchase, the financing and the insurance or the buyer can do it. From what I can see is the business model here is to put families into new, reasonably priced homes. Communities are built and relationships are made. I'm OK with that.

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you for your post Randy. We are happy you are enjoying your D.R. Horton home.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 10, 2018

I am a 100% disable vet. This my first brand new home I ever purchased. What a mistake to go with DR Horton. I had so many stucco issues that I finally had to get a lawyer involved. All I get from the warranty lady is how everything is natural and pretty much my fault for touching the stucco and also I was also told that I kicked the stucco pretty funny since I have 2 pins in my back that limit me from kicking with any force. I had issue with both sliding doors upstairs and down with the AC unit (upstairs), carpet (upstairs and down) drywall issues, bathroom countertop and missing baseboard. I just turned in 5 more warranty requests today (6/10/18). This is how I am spending my summer waiting and dealing with warranty companies instead of my little one. I fixed military equipment for 18 years and if I did half-** work like these companies I would have been out of a job.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Alfonso. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com if you are not satisfied with the resolution to your warranty requests.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 9, 2018

I also live in a DR Horton community known as Cobblestone Park, Blythewood, SC. It has been under development for the five years since we moved in. DR Horton allows its contractors to leave nails all over the roads — so we all end up replacing our tires multiple times per year; Horton’s contractors throw trash everywhere; we pay for gates which are always broken; our roads are in disrepair; we have warranty issues which go unresolved; it has been totally horrible. Think twice before buying into a DR Horton community! You will soon regret it if you do.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Dwayne - your concerns have been forwarded to the management team in South Carolina. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 8, 2018

Sadly, I live in Cobblestone Park, Blythewood, SC. Horton has a well earned reputation of poor maintenance, sketchy sales pitches, and in many people’s opinion, flimsy accounting which heavily favors Horton. Our “gated community” routinely has broken gates stuck in the up position. We have had car break-ins, and other crime. Their excuses are old and promises empty. Spend your money elsewhere. A minus one would be a gift.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Laura. We are sorry you feel this way about D.R. Horton and Cobblestone Park. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information. We would like to better understand what you mean when you refer to sketchy sales pitches and flimsy accounting. We will also look into community security.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 7, 2018

Wow, I wish I had looked at this feed before I purchased my new home. We’re not closing until the end of June, and they are already giving us problems. The home construction was going well, and ahead of schedule, and just yesterday, we were told that closing will be delayed a few days. I moved from Texas, staying in a VRBO until the end of June, and had given myself extra 10 days just in case anything comes up. Well, it did. The kitchen island granite piece was cut way too small, and installed on a much bigger base. Been like this for over two weeks, nothing much more being done in these last crucial days. And today, the explanation I got was that this model has the new island and the original plans had another type of island, so there is the confusion. Ok, I’ll buy that, but they should move on to other finishing tasks, like appliances, mirrors, water, electric, a/c, landscape, ugh.

They don’t have enough workers to complete the job, and they keep blaming the delays on the rain. I’m getting very nervous, and hope that they don’t throw it together at the last minute, just to meet closing date. Did I mention that the fixtures are the ugliest, cheapest, worse looking ever? I asked about it, and my salesman response was: "People are going to change them anyway, so we just put the cheapest ones up." Mind you I’m paying over $290,000. Reading all of these negative comments, I just want to call it quits???

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Alexandra. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with the address, community, city, state of the home you are building so we can help you with your concerns.

Original review: June 6, 2018

My husband and I are first time homebuyers like many who have written disappointing reviews with our New Construction home. We have had a lot of what we originally called ”small issues.” A few small cracks here and there. We purchased our home in March of 2015, and we have paid out of pocket twice to have our AC unit serviced. So, the first sub-contractors who installed our unit and many of the other homes built in 2014 were fired! Which means we have one of those faulty installed units that were either installed incorrectly or a hole punctured in the unit. We called a local heating and air company here in Oklahoma City; last week and spent another 400 dollars to have coolant replaced.

Today we wake up, and it is showing 75 degrees in our home! We have been told that our unit was improperly installed or this puncture happened during the installation process, and they just stuck something inside to plug it up with. This unit is losing coolant, and I guess we're stuck! With more money out of pocket today! I am very disappointed as my husband is a disabled Veteran. We're not the only family in our subdivision having buyers remorse! Please be advised that DR Horton Homes are not built with the quality products they tell everyone.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Sharonda. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your address and contact information so we can research your concern.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I am a disabled veteran with full VA approval. I’m writing to express my extreme disappointment in the D.R. Horton. Our experience from the beginning as we were mislead by the salesperson about how much we would have to spend at the design center, to the horrific ending of being told 3 days before closing (and after receiving the final loan approval) that we lost our dream home. The mental anxiety that this entire experience has caused us is criminal to say the least. When entering into a process such as this I expect that everyone who is guiding us is an expert in their area. When we were first pre-approved in January 2018 I thought that we had a loan. When we continuously called and emailed asking if we could lock in when the rate was at 4% and got no reply, only to hear weeks later that we would be at 5%, and the nightmare continued from May 17th till today.

I did everything that was requested of me even working on the things that the underwriter kept requesting more than one time. Why was the loan approval process put off till the last 3 weeks? Why didn’t anyone know that the VA policy changed, isn’t that your responsibility to know these things. Due to the incompetency of the D.R. Horton staff, I am expecting a full refund of my earnest money and the extra that we paid to the design center, total $4,300.00. I am not breaking this contact, I am ready to close on Friday, if the VA will not approve my loan that is circumstances out of my control, however if the people working towards obtaining my loan would have done their job in a timely, professional manner we would not be in this situation.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning Steven. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with the address, community, city and state where you are contracted to purchase so we can research your concerns.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I was a first time buyer. I immediately fell in love with one of DR Horton's subdivision. What a mistake! From start to end was nothing but a nightmare. My sales rep changed so I never got any updates on the home. I tried using their preferred lender, DHI, which was a mistake. They kept asking for the same documents, my numbers were always wrong, and my closing date changed several of times because of new conditions, even after they had my down payment and closing cost money. Needless to say, I did not go with the home. I signed a termination of contract a month ago, and still haven't received my earnest interest money. Found out today, the sales rep, who is terrible, didn't even send in my termination document. I'm sorry but DR Horton is unorganized in every aspect. I'm glad I did not purchase a home from this builder.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: June 2, 2018

Please read all of the reviews because they are all truthful. This company is totally driven by profit and you will have a better chance at winning the lottery than getting any service after the sale. I purchased my new home in September 2016. My builder is named Ramon. The very first week I was in the home the entire main level of the home flooded. I called for emergency service and no one wanted to come. After I got irate someone finally agreed to come. Water was pouring out of the front door and the garage. Their response to the problem is I clogged the toilet with an excessive amount of toilet tissue! This is the 4th home I have owned and this has NEVER happened and I believe I am a skilled toilet flusher.

Upon examination of the issue the following day, they discovered their plumber did shoddy work and clogged the line with concrete. The flooding of raw sewage into the home caused my lower level to be unlivable as all the hardwood floors had to be ripped up and the entire level was covered with industrial fans running around the clock. They also had to cut out an inch of the drywall that was contaminated with sewage water. In the process a lot of my personal items were damaged and I was not compensated. Also while fixing the damage, an entire box of my son's Xbox games strangely disappeared. Attempting to contact the Conyers office and speaking to Sheila ** regarding 9 month warranty repairs, I got the runaround, no one returned my calls. When they DID answer, I was lied. She scheduled several appointments but no one never showed up.

When Richard ** finally showed up to do the warranty work, he never completed the work. I have called the office, written emails, called the BBB, sent certified letters to the Conyers office and to the Corporate headquarters in TX. No one responded. These people don't scare easily and they will NOT answer your requests. I still have unfinished warranty work to be done. I am a single mother who worked VERY hard to purchase this home and I wanted a new home hoping to avoid these types of issues. I guess the only thing left to do is sue for breach of contract.

PS. Their warranty website... What a joke. Notice there is not a customer profile option where you can log in to have a copy or record of ALL of those requests you will have to submit. That's all by design. Use your phone to snapshot your paper trail or print it before you submit it. We all work hard to provide for our families. Do NOT be mislead by this horrific company. Yes, the floor plans are beautiful. It's all a facade. Hiding behind the facade is the dirty ugly truth. The houses are pure trash. I would not recommend this company. Spend your money elsewhere.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Alvida. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can research your concerns and assist you.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 28, 2018

The homes built in the subdivision are too close together. Since the windows used by the builder are high energy efficient the light of the sun is reflecting back onto my siding and melting it or rather making it distorted. Term used here is heat distortion - as opposed to making sure the distance was appropriate placed they did not between homes so my neighbor's windows are reflecting back onto my siding and causing heat distortion. I am so upset. The windows are Milgard windows and are no longer being made in the mid-west. Either screens had to be custom made and they are still not helping either. The builder is aware of this too.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Linda. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your address and telephone number so we can properly research your concern.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Very bad experience. The home (DR Horton Express Homes Autumn Trace) was poorly built and customer service from sales reps was non-existent. Sales reps and contractor did not help address concerns about lack of build quality and poor craftsmanship. Instead, sales reps avoided me. As soon as they received my deposit they avoided any communication except for canned generic emails sent occasionally. I decided to not follow through with the purchase due to the above reasons and lost my $1000.00 deposit. Although, I feel I would have lost more if I decided to keep the poorly crafted house and continue to deal with deceiving service reps. This company cares nothing about lasting customer relations and will do anything to make a quick buck. Stay away from this company. Poor quality and service.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 24, 2018

I live in a new DR Horton development. As a renter, I was excited to experience the new development and was strongly considering buying a home in the development once we were sure we liked the neighborhood and surrounding area. However, after living in this "community" for more than a year, it is clear that DR Horton does not care about its residents or even potential new buyers. When I had issues with the construction teams working near my home, the employees at the sales office responded, "What do you want me to do about it?" and told me I was being "dramatic." DR Horton is still the primary owner in the Homeowner's Association, and since they are not actual residents, the rule enforcement is draconian and inconsistent.

Random waves of notices and "rule" enforcement will sweep through, despite owners and residents having cleared the behaviors and "violations" with the HOA previously. We have three adults in our home, each with their own car. Despite parking two cars in our garage, they are now threatening to tow our third car because it is parked in "guest" parking, despite it not being label as such, having parked there for over a year, and having no options for a permit. Their solution is to have residents park more than a quarter mile away or risk being towed without warning. DR Horton has made zero effort to make us or our landlord feel like part of this community. I will never purchase a home from them and I will encourage others to avoid them whenever the opportunity presents itself.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Katharine. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information so we can research your concerns.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 22, 2018

I purchased my first home on October 17, 2016 and ever since I have had not but plumbing problems starting with the hallway bathroom and it only got worst from that point. February 7, 2018 the hot water line pipe burst which flooded the living room, master bedroom, and garage. March 15, 2018 part of the main water line cracked. April 8, 2018 the line to the water hose had a pin size hole which again flooded my garage and my living room. May 21, 2018 the other end of the main water line has a crack. I'm beyond exhausted, upset, scared, broke, and so regret purchasing this home. I was not told from previous owner of any water issues, however, I know why he sold the home for below the market price it poorly made. I saved up for 10 years to buy a home and at this point I don't know what to do next.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Sondra. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information so we can research your concern.

Original review: May 21, 2018

My townhouse is only 4 years old and I had a serious roof leak in March 2018 in my guest bedroom. The leak had to have been going on for a serious amount of time within the wall. This is my grandson's nursery. I was in that room 3 days prior with my ex-husband and there were no visible signs of water damage. I went into the room 3 days later and the paint was peeling off the walls, the window seals and the ceiling. I submitted a warranty to DR Horton (I have a 10 year roof warranty). They sent a representative who could not have been more than 18 years old to take pictures. DR Horton then call American First Roofing (AFR) to come and fix the leak. They sent a roofer to do an inspection and find the leak.

The leak was coming from an attic vent which was not properly installed. So this roofer was up on the roof for 20 minutes and claimed that he fixed it. He actually placed shingles over the air vent which closed it. Now there is no air circulating in that portion of the attic. This is not the proper way to fix an attic vent. (I hired my owner roofer to inspected the roof and he confirmed this was a "patch" job and he found several other roof issues). DR Horton then sent over a restoration company to remove the drywall and dry out the walls and ceiling and remove the mold.

DR Horton then denied my claim to restore the drywall, paint the room and relay the carpet stating that "This leak was not new due to the amount of damage and that a simple leak, escalated to a more severe leak due to you just letting it go." My response was swift and to the point. How dare DR Horton claim that I would just let a serious issue as a roof leak and water "just go." My grandson sleeps in this room and to make an assumption that I would endanger the health of my grandson by allowing him to sleep in this room is a reprehensible. SHAME ON YOU DR Horton for making a blanket statement such as this. DR Horton should be held responsible for fixing the fixed properly and completed the interior of the drywall, carpet and paint. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HOME CONSTRUCTED BY DR HORTON. I have hired an Attorney and they state I have a very good case for a lawsuit into the thousands if DR Horton does not take care of this issue.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Priscilla. So we can better assist you please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information, and please reference this posting. Thank you!

Original review: May 21, 2018

Bought a house about 11 months ago and it has been a total nightmare. Being a first time home buyer I wasn't sure about process and trusted this builder to guide me. I had over 100 items pending by closing day that were still not done on the house including: fuses to fuse box faulty and needed replacement twice, garage floor had footprints from contractor walking on it while cement wet, stove hood installed crooked, grout on floor completely uneven and had to be redone, bathtubs dented and scratched, window locks broken, fixtures dented, cracks on driveway, landscaping replaced twice due to sod and flowers dying because sprinklers were not turned on until day of closing and also were put on without the backyard fence in mind.

So there was an area that wasn't getting any irrigation, screen in lanai ripped, tile in pool deck cracked, all doors to kitchen/bathroom cabinets replaced because they were all different sizes and when handlebars installed they warped the wood which took about 3 months to get replaced... I can keep going. When we decided to buy the house, our only condition was we had to have a pool. However, there was a large tree in an empty lot behind the house that leaned into my property and wouldn't allow a cage to be installed. DR Horton Homes stated they would remove it if we bought the property. Fast forward 10 months later, DR Horton Homes builds a house behind my house, and guess what? They planted a tree in the SAME EXACT spot as the old one! So now I have a giant sycamore tree whose branches will grow into my property and will be MY responsibility to trim and clean all the leaves.

The tree is already dying because it's lying above the roots of the old tree. Eventually this tree will cause issues to my screen cage during storms, roots may affect my fence/property, and not to mention shade my entire pool area! I contacted the subcontractors who were planting the tree and asking them if they can move it a few feet away, they were nothing but rude and condescending. I called the superintendent of the project, he still has not followed up with me and states he will once he has an "answer" which was 2 weeks ago. I called his supervisor and he didn't even respond to my email or text. What is it to them to move the tree a few feet away or to another spot in the house considering they knew the major issue we already had in the past??

This is how they are with everything. You buy the house and they wipe their hands. They had to fire the first 2 superintendents assigned to me because they kept lying and procrastinating. They also verbally attacked me when I wrote an honest review on their DR Horton Homes' survey. They would even come inside my property unannounced! EVERYTHING is a major hassle with them. Everything is a fight. BEWARE!!! Don't fall for their "warranty promise". It is a major pain and you have to beg them to PLEASE fix whatever you need and you have to be the one to follow up constantly. Not once has something gone smoothly.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Yvonne - we have escalated your concerns to our management team in Tampa for review and resolution.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We are Extremely Disappointed and very angry that D.R. HORTON has not acted upon our several requests to have our defective ABC double pane windows fixed. The toxic mold growing inside of the admittedly defective double pane windows is now making my 10 year old daughter extremely ill. She has had to go to several Drs and now diagnosed with active mold allergy and complications at only 10 years old since moving into our DR Horton home. This all started right after we moved into our “DREAM” DR HORTON Home” last year. At this point we are dealing with a MAJOR health hazard issue that’s now affecting my child’s well being.

I contacted D.R. Horton right after we moved into our home and also the warranty department of D.R. Horton once I noticed the window issue. I was told they would try to get my issue resolved ASAP. They sent out a inspector from D.R. Horton immediately. They also sent out an inspector from ABC Window Company who happens to be the subcontractor of choice for the double pane windows that were installed for our whole D.R. Horton development located in Menifee, CA. The Inspector from ABC Window Company tested all the windows and said this is a Manufacturing Defect and that every one of my 22 Double pane windows are BAD/DEFECTIVE. He said if it were just a few windows that might be expected but for all 22 windows to have the same exact issue would be a manufacturing defect.

I then decided to reach out to my neighbors who are the original homeowners living in the home and inquire about any issues they might have had regarding the double pane windows. They disclosed that all of the ABC double pane windows have a manufacturing defect and they had to have every one of them replaced for the identical reason why mine are all bad. I was informed there was a lawsuit against ABC Window Company within our housing development but the lawsuit never came to fruition. Instead the homeowners were told they could have the windows replaced free of charge as long as they were the original owners of the property.

My neighbors have now had the windows replaced not once but twice by ABC window company due to the same recurring issue of the seals not holding and the gasses leaking out of the double pane windows. Which then allows the moisture to seep in and the mold & bacteria to grow in between the double panes. After ABC Window Company sent the Inspector out to my home who told me all of the windows were bad there has been nothing but silence on their end. I have made several attempts to reach out to ABC Window Company to resolve this issue and to this very day I have received ZERO return calls.

At this point I feel completely mortified at the complete lack of responsibility this HUGE developer and the subcontractor ABC Windows have taken to resolve my issue. My family’s health is at major state here. I feel like I have totally exhausted all of my resources at this point. I’m now trying to get action by going to every single website I know. This was our Family’s Dream home that has now been turned into a horrific nightmare. I am mentally and physically exhausted from the great deal of agony this has caused myself and family. I beg of YOU— PLEASE fix the DEFECTIVE DOUBLE PANE WINDOWS. The MOLD is toxic and will cause lifelong issues. I spent close to $500K for my home and I shouldn’t have to have this daily stress and worry for my family’s health due to windows being DEFECTIVE.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Anthony. We have emailed you with a generous offer from ABC Windows to help you have your defective windows replaced. We were happy to help you and hope you will continue to work with ABC Windows to remedy your concerns.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I bought a DR Horton home last year after my husband passed away from stage 4 cancer. It is so horribly constructed. They didn't insulate the garage ceiling so my bedroom stays 15 degrees colder in the winter and 15 hotter in the summer, the toilets are terrible when you use them. They usually stop up or won't go down, no insulation in the walls. I hear every drop of water that comes from upstairs, all of the baseboards are cracking apart as well as the corners of the walls, the sliding door is leaking water and I now have springtails.

And when I first moved in something wasn't removed from my dryer on the ceiling and I had water running out of it and it almost burned my house down. Concrete is cracked and coming apart. Oh and as for the HOA they expect us to pay their dues and live in a house that's just so badly constructed. Everyone please be really careful when buying a home. Talk to the people who live in the houses and don't do like I did, don't buy a house so close to a spouse passing away.

Updated on 05/25/2018: As a update to all of the problems in my house. They came out and of course it's just all in my head, Was nothing wrong with my backyard and they told me that water is supposed to come into the track of my sliding door and I checked with several companies and that's not supposed to happen, so I guess I will have to replace the while sliding door at my expense, my worry is with all of leaking of water. When it rains it mold but again they say it won't happen. It seems that even if they come out it still dont help. They made me feel so stupid and like I didnt know what was going on in my own house and they made sure they put in their smart remarks too. When they left I got so upset because no one should be made to feel like that.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Debbie. We have escalated your concerns to our Greenville office to ensure all of your warrantable repairs are taken care of.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I urge anyone considering purchasing a DR Horton home to be very wary of doing so. This company uses the worst sub-contractors available and keeps their prices low by buying the worst property on the market to build on. The properties more than not, have severe erosion problems that are not adequately addressed by the company. The workmanship that goes into building these homes is poor at best. You will find shoddy trim, cabinets and interior/exterior paint. The concrete work will be horrendous. If these guys are "America's Builders", we are in deep-doo! I have included pictures of the erosion problem I have been trying to get addressed for weeks and -- NOTHING!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Wilbert. We received your email dated 5/20/2018 with the pictures attached and are working with the Atlanta team to research.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We own a DR Horton home in Maryland, built at the end of 2012. There are so many things wrong with this company, it is hard to even know where to begin. I hope that you read this as a word of caution to your future purchasing decisions. The company lies. One of many examples is that they promised a two-zone system if we purchase their most expensive home model, known as the Monticello. We purchased it, and only found out near the end that we were not being given it. The sales person had the gall to say "Well, looks like you aren't getting it after all." The PM actually tried to throw a lie in our direction, saying that they installed a single zone system to comply with Maryland law.

The company subcontracts unqualified technicians. One of many examples: My house is literally on an angle. When I complained about this, we were forced into believing that this is 'normal' by the PM. Word to the wise: Don't trust a company trying to sell you something. The company does not stand by its own work. The PM actually forced us to run through the inspection walk-through with a time limit, and refused to put down deficiencies we saw. Deficiencies he DID write down he would later mark as completed even though they were not.

Company drags on issues post-purchase until 1 year is up. After 1 year, they refuse to do any service or help. Our shingles, for example, fell off in the THIRD YEAR of living in it, due to 60 mile per hour winds. DR Horton's response? Not their problem. DR Horton is unscrupulous and should not be doing business in Maryland. I'd like to personally take a moment to call out Carolyn ** for being so without moral gumption that she sold me an overpriced piece of crap that I now have to pick up the pieces on fixing at great cost.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Sean. Please email us with your name, address and contact information to CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com so we can research your concerns.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Very disappointed with our purchase of a DR home. We have been in the home for 1.5 years and have been dealing with warranty problems since day one. Response time for warranty work is slow, scheduling and coordination is worse. We've gone through two different warranty coordinators in our neighborhood and neither know how to communicate. We've had contractors show up unannounced (with my wife and young child home alone), contractors not show up at all when they are scheduled, contractors show up but not have the tools they need to complete the job, etc.

We had a leak in the Master Bath shower and it took six different contractors, six different visits to complete the work. We have had at least five visits for taking care of subfloors "stepping" at joints. Another 3-4 visits for clunking/squeaking in the floors (still not fixed). We've had contractors try to "fix" the floors by driving nails into the subfloor THROUGH the carpet. These nails have since started popping out to where you catch your feet on them. When the contractors do take up the carpet to work on these issues, they do a terrible job of re-seaming the carpet. Our entire upstairs is a hodgepodge of carpet seams and looks/feels terrible. I have had to go around and periodically pound the nails back in so we step on them.

We have 2 large cracks in our driveway where the contractors did not gap between the driveway and the house properly, DRH says this is "normal." Our latest issue is a foundation crack from one end of the house to the other. The hardwood floors over the crack have started to separate. Additionally, the bathroom floor on the upstairs level has started to slope. Last measured it was sloped 5/8" over 24". The slope begins directly over the foundation crack indicating the entire house may be sloping. We were told by the neighborhood representative that this is also normal. Many other issues with similar circumstances. Each of these visits requires one of us to take a day off of work because none of the contractors work weekend, or DR is not willing to pay weekend rates??

Either way, DR is clearly no concerned about inconveniencing the home buyer. These issues are not just limited to our home. More than half of our neighbors have experienced similar issues with the same poor response from the builder. Ready to sell after only 1.5 years just to escape the nightmare. The unfortunate part is that we love the area and we love the neighborhood, but we hate the house. Do not buy from this company. You may walk through the model home and see a beautiful house with perfectly straight walls and properly hung light fixtures, but your home will be a different story.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Steven. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can better assist you.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 11, 2018

Very disappointed in DR Horton, Specifically with James **. My 1 year warranty is up. I sent my list of warranty issues to DR Horton. They had James come out and go over everything with me. He verified all complaints with me. Now I am being told certain items are not being fixed and there is nothing wrong, after he confirmed issues were there and needed to be fixed.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Mike. Please email your name, address and telephone number to CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com so we can research your case.

Original review: May 9, 2018

We have no walking trail that was advertised on all docs. Paint is chipping off the house in less than 2 years. - Homeowner expense. Insulation was missing from master bedroom. Patio has a big crack in it. - Homeowner expense. So much on the walk-through list to cover that a broken window was missed. - Homeowner expense. Cracked tiles in the master bath - homeowner expense. All the covers of the kitchen cabinets were stripped with a harsh cleaning solution 35 doors replaced. They used two/tone grout in all the showers the grout colors are off. Builder transfers the HOA to the homeowners and try to scam us with his expense bill of 63k.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I was told when we did our walk through to wait until we were near the end of our warranty to submit a claim for stucco crack repairs. They said they only do this once and that I should wait because of this. I submitted my request and it was denied. The cracks meet the requirement to be fixed using their guidelines. They are not going to do the repairs. We had cracks on our garage floor. We fixed them. We filled cracks on our front porch and painted the deck. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY. THEY WILL PROMISE YOU THE MOON AND AFTER YOU CLOSE, FORGET ABOUT YOU.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Rowena - please email your contact information (name, address, telephone number) to CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com so we can research your concern.

Original review: May 9, 2018

On January 22nd, 2018 we signed paperwork to start building a home in Alterra in Plant City, FL. By, February 24th, 2018 NOTHING had been done on our property AT ALL. I was informed that our house was not set to start until the end of April 2018, over four months later. I spoke with Jeffery **, that very day and informed him of the closing date that we needed of June 14th, 2018.

I expressed that we could choose a different builder in a different community and meet what is needed. He basically begged us to stay with DR Horton either in the current neighborhood, The Oaks in Thonotosassa, FL or Walden Woods. He then offered that if we chose the Hayden model, which is more expensive he would lower the price, which we agreed to do so. We went half on the difference between the prices. I was insured by Jeffery that the house would be completed by the time that it needed to be, because the house had a completion date by the end of May and with the two weeks of “fluff” we would be fine by our closing date.

Construction continued as normal and on track until March 5th, when I notified the builder that the second floor of our home was being framed wrong, because there was only one window in the master suite. I was informed by the contractor that I was overreacting because maybe the outer boards weren’t cut yet for the window opening. As of that date the roof had not yet been put on and the problem could have been corrected, but I trusted the builder to make sure things were taken care of. I also returned the next day and same thing. Nothing was changed.

I again brought it up to the contractor and told that everything was fine. I returned March 7th and the roof and trusses were now installed, even though two days later before they were I informed the builder that something was wrong. Finally, on March 9th I returned to the site and was told by the builder that there was an issue and the second floor was in fact framed incorrectly. Finally, I returned on March 16th and the problem was corrected almost two weeks later.

Then additional, on April 5th our house was wrapped with green paper and made ready for window installation. On April 6th, the following day windows were installed. Now, on May 4th, our insulation and sheetrock has been delivered. That is now over a month ago and still nothing, but EXCUSES have been given while we steam closer and closer towards our closing date. I have been at the job site at least every other day and pictures to back up the dates.

Finally, almost three weeks later insulation is delivered and installed a week late past the date given. Then finally May 4th the sheetrock is delivered to the home. Why did it take almost a month twenty-nine (29) days to get sheetrock delivered? Note, also no roofing has also been done at this time, as well because the window being framed put that behind. Sixty-one (61) days since the problem has been taken care of we are still without any drywall (sheetrock) on the walls.

The house across the street the foundation was poured 4 days after ours, is finished outside and sheetrock is already going up. So, the mistake that I informed the contractor about almost a week before it was discovered has now put us sixty-one (61) days behind a house that was at the same stage. So, now at almost 60 sixty days behind you give me excuses of, "Oh well the company changed the roof vents, so we have to wait on those," then two days later tell me, "Oh we are having problems with the window company and we are replacing them," then a day later, "You know our purchasing department orders less sheetrock than is required. It’s not much but only three or four sheets, but we can’t go forward until that is here."

I call **!! House across the street has the same vents we require oh guess what installed, their window is already turned around by the same company you say is slacking but hasn't shown up. Now, I retired military in 06 and started flipping homes and rebuilt my mother’s after it burned. I am not stupid. I also know that the city of Plant City hasn't let you continue because you are over a month submitting a framing inspection.

Now, as I have told you from day one I NEED to close 6/14th and I have been promised TWICE of that date and besides all the ** of building, if you had your ** together then there would be NO setbacks. You would steamroll it all or maybe your company is so out of whit’s they can’t figure out what the rear end is producing beyond what they take in. I will tell you that your VP of sales evidently knows they screwed up because at this point they are 24 hours behind even growing a pair and returning my call from the other day and if we must get frank the call I put in 45 days ago still has NEVER been returned.

Maybe you should look at your reviews and realize you have a problem. Cause I will be honest. I went to your office today in Tampa and was lied to twice that the construction manager was not there, but then after I told the second person what he was wearing and where he walked across the parking lot all of a sudden, he appeared. It is a shame you advertise yourselves as a veteran company but act this way. Now, I have not even mentioned the experience with your finance company because that would even more cloud the experience I have had.

I have since day one informed the staff of the needed closing date and up until yesterday been promised that date. Now, my 72-year-old mother with early on set dementia and Alzheimer’s has already closed on her house by promises of your staff will come to my house no bed and sleep on the floor. She has more pride even in her state to take my own bed I offer her, but to sleep on tile floor because your company has ** us all the way. We signed end of January for a house. Now end of June is “expected” date is end of June.

Of course, when I got to the office yesterday I was asked by the Vice President of Construction, "Well where could I help you?" "Wow!!" Then it was, "I didn't know this house was at this state." I guess they have no idea where their ass compared to their face because you hear one thing from one then another. So I guess as of 6/15th I will pay my landlord more money and my mother will be homeless or on an air mattress as of 6/19 because this company has more miscommunication and errors than anyone I know. Oh and if you ever have the same problem don't waste your time contacting any person in management because I did that as of almost 24 hrs ago and still no text, email or call because I did so each through all avenues and no response.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi B. We have forwarded your concerns to the management team in Tampa for their review and resolution.

Original review: May 9, 2018

We purchased a home from DR Horton in August of 2006 and decided to do some updating in the kitchen. What should be a small job has turned into a nightmare. The construction of the kitchen, the method used to put the tiles on the wall, the materials used, the shortcuts and sloppy workmanship is unbelievable. I am not sure the house is even up to City of Austin code.

The tile was placed on sheetrock and not backer board for a wet area, there are places they did not even put sheetrock, they used tiles as backboard to mount another tile, the joints and the sheetrock don't even meet up in some areas of the framing. They used concrete for patching on the walls and then covered it with tile. There is a random sheet of backer board on the wall I am hoping they got out of the bathroom. There is missing sheetrock on the side of the cabinet and the list goes on. If you are purchasing a home from D R Horton I would watch them throughout the whole process and make sure the house is up to City of Austin code. Better yet find another builder!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Robin. Each of the homes we build are inspected by government inspectors who assure each home is built to local building codes.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Warranty services have been horrible. DR Horton offers a 1 year top to bottom warranty. It sounds great and should have been a fantastic part of buying a new home. For the first few warranty repairs there were not any big issues, we had several small issues repaired pretty timely. After about 6 months it felt like they were annoyed with us. I am in the military and getting time off work can be a challenge especially when they only give a day or two notice that they are coming. So I managed to work the time off and the repair contractor wouldn’t show up. Sometimes they scheduled a repair for something that wasn’t broken or scheduled a contractor to fix a fiberglass tub when ours is marble. Overall this has resulted in me missing 15-20 days of work for repairs that no one showed up for.

One repair that they have blamed on my wife and I is a burst pipe for our sprinkler backflow valve. There was freezing weather so my wife and I wrapped it up pretty well with insulation material. One of the seals came loose. They told me to uncover it and they were going to come look at it in an hour or two. Well they didn’t come and it got cold and the pipe burst. So now they won’t fix it. Now it is a $500 repair instead of a few bucks to replace the seal. If they weren’t going to come I would have left it covered. We had an inspection done right before our 1 year mark in the house so we could ensure that we had everything possible fixed. One issue was our subfloor upstairs. The repairman found that there was at least one entire section of the subfloor that had 0 screws in it. Great quality here.

In front of our house we have a huge oak tree and about a three foot drop to the sidewalk. DR Horton built a beautiful wall in front. It looked fantastic and was one of the selling points of the house. However it has had to be re-mortared 10 times so far. It cracks almost the same day that they repair it. Then it takes them months to come look at it and by that time half of the bricks are so loose that you can move them with your hands. It turns out all they built was a decorative wall to hold the weight of a large oak tree and my entire front yard. Their new “repair” plan is to tear the wall down and build one without visible mortar. That way I can’t see the cracks.

It wasn’t really the cracks that bothered me so much as it was the bricks coming loose. All they are doing is making it not show cracks but the bricks will still come loose. They should have had a proper retaining wall put in with a footer and rebar reinforcements but in order to “save” money with repairs and essentially pass the buck onto their customers they won’t fix it right.

The final big issue is all of the nail heads on the back of my house have turned black and show through the paint. They came once and washed the house and painted over it. Less than a month later it was back. Now all they are willing to do is wash the house and have said that it is my fault because I have a grill under our patio. However the nail heads are black outside of my patio as well. They said it was mildew and common on the non-sunny side of the house. However it is on sunny sides as well. In addition I have talked to others in the neighborhood and not a single one of them has the same issue. Both the wall and the nails on the back of my house look bad. All DR Horton's repair people have said is that it is standard home maintenance and that they don’t care about my time because these are outside repairs and I don’t need to be there.

Again as a military person I will let that go 1 maybe 2 times before I start being home when they do a bad job. This was just a horribly disrespectful comment from my warranty manager. I have contacted the regional manager and it still doesn’t seem to be getting much done. I have pretty much given up on getting my repairs done properly. Beyond selling my house when I move from here I most likely will not buy a DR Horton home and I will not recommend them to anyone. I cannot trust their quality and their customer service is severely lacking.

Updated on 05/30/2018: I am writing a second review because I cannot edit or add comments to my original. I included it in this response. Customer care contacted the people I have been dealing with in San Antonio. I still have to prompt my warranty people for any sort of response and when they do respond they do not address more than one question. I am pretty sure at this point they are annoyed with me.

I have accepted their current repair plan but not because I agree with it. I have accepted it because I have given up hope of getting anything useful done. They have decided to rebuild the wall but only in a way to hide the fact that it cracks and falls apart. The fact that bricks are loose and can fall over doesn't seem to matter to them. They are just going to redo the wall in a manner that will allow the same issues to reoccur. It is a safety concern and they don't seem to care at all.

I have accepted their offer for the repairs but not because I am satisfied in any way. They still are not addressing the issues properly. I have lost all hope that this will get taken care of in a way that is satisfactory. The wall is being rebuilt but still not in any way to support the weight of the very large Oak tree and the yard. In addition they are not actually painting the back of my house. They are just washing it. The last time they "repaired" they washed the house and painted it and it returned. Now they are doing less. I am not satisfied with their response but I do not know who to contact that is above Mr. **. I am not even confident that if I did contact someone above him that it would get taken care of.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Wayne - I contacted the San Antonio Warranty Department and understand that you accepted our offer to repair multiple items at your home. If you need anything else, please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Just bought a new construction home from DR Horton and their quality control is horrendous. Occupied the unit for about 4 months. They don't monitor their subcontractors at all and leave all quality control to the new owners via complaints. Terrible experience. Dozens of things wrong and their response is for me to contact the subcontractors and complain to them. Appliances are the cheapest bottom of the line and they don't offer any upgrades. Had a repairman in to level the fridge (about 1 1/2' out of align) and he could level the front but not the back, so it rocks back and forth. Said it can't be helped because of the cheapness of the fridge model. AC subcontractor seems like a crook.

Toilet back up, where it two days of a plumber's time to unclog. Said it was "construction debris." Complained about minor issues and gave up after 1/2 dozen tries. Hung some of the hurricane shutters so I could save a little bit on AC costs while gone for six months. Can't hang them because about 1/8 of the bolts aren't aligned correctly. If one is out of alignment then you can't put the shutters up. Clearly no quality control. Of course, because most people wouldn't discover problems until after the warranty is over. Great time to discover problems when there's a hurricane approaching. One assume that the bolts were aligned properly.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi James. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can better assist you.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information