Find a Home Builders partner

D.R. Horton Homes

1.3/5 (93 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

Pros

• Energy-efficient
  • Smart home devices
  • Move-in ready
  • Financing available

Cons

• No customization
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

D.R. Horton Homes are ideal for buyers who are ready to purchase but don’t want the hassle of customizing features. D.R. Horton offers energy-efficient features and smart home functionality.

Top D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Verified

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly re...

Verified

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR ...

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is D.R. Horton?

D.R. Horton Homes are available in a variety of floor plans, sizes and styles. To visualize the design and amenities offered by D.R. Horton, visit a model home or tour a finished community. You can schedule in-person visits to a model home during listed business hours, and newly finished houses can be scheduled for viewing directly from the digital listing on the D.R. Horton website.

Characteristics and features of D.R. Horton’s homes include:

• Open floor plans
  • State-of-the-art appliances
  • Energy-efficiency
  • Integrated geofencing technology
  • Multiplatform wireless network
  • One-wire connectivity
  • Hands-free communication.

You can access all functions of the home’s smart devices on the Qolsys IQ Panel, which allows you to use a variety of smart device products from one central location. From the Qolsys IQ Panel, you can adjust the thermostat, set the alarm, lock and unlock doors and set lights on a timer.

D.R. Horton closing costs and home prices

Prices of D.R. Horton homes vary based on the location, floor plan, size and style of the home selected. Most listings do not include closing costs or any related fees, so the price listed may not be 100% accurate. To determine an estimated mortgage payment you can afford, use the mortgage calculator on D.R. Horton’s website. Financing and insurance are available through affiliates of D.R. Horton Homes.

dr horton homes house

Photo (c) D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes FAQ

What is included in a D.R. Horton home?
A home built by D.R. Horton features energy-efficient construction, integrated geofencing technology, a multiplatform wireless network, one-wire connectivity and hands-free communication. These features are powered by the Qolsys IQ panel. The panel is compatible with a Honeywell thermostat, Amazon Echo Dot, Kwikset Smartcode and Skybell. Some features may be unavailable in Hawaii.
Are D.R. Horton Homes efficient?
D.R. Horton uses energy-efficient roofing materials, siding, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Every D.R. Horton home features at least one appliance or product with an EnergyStar designation.
Do D.R. Horton Homes come with appliances?
Yes. D.R. Horton homes include Whirlpool appliances.
Will D.R. Horton negotiate prices?
The company is open to negotiation with any buyer. When negotiating pricing, consider using D.R. Horton’s immediate inventory and preferred vendors. You may receive a lower price.
What is a D.R. Horton smart home?
D.R. Horton smart homes are equipped with alarms, smart thermostats, wireless interior lighting controls, electronic deadbolts and smart video doorbells.

Is D.R. Horton a good builder?

D.R. Horton can be a good choice for buyers who want a move-in ready home that doesn’t require any remodeling. While D.R. Horton is a reputable company, it’s essential to vet the builder and conduct an appraisal. We like the affordability, convenience and capabilities offered by the company, so if the price works for you and you find a design and floor plan that suits your needs, we recommend D.R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Buyer Beware!! Just drive through Orchard Park in Vero Beach and look at the driveways and the grading issues. Home have flooding and standing water. The construction management lie to its customers and it's been a year since I move in. I was told at closing the driveways would be repaired. To this day nothing has been fixed and today the management team came from Palm Bay and once again no solutions and more lies. Talk to any neighbors in this development and they will tell you the same.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Everything was good up until today after I closed. I closed at 12:30 on 10/4 and my lender contacted me at approx 3:30 and advised that DRH has delinquent taxes and they aren’t able to provide proof of payment and has asked my lender to delay funding (they didn’t want my lender to account for the large tax bill, but my lender advise DRH has been scrambling since Friday to try and locate the proof of paid taxes).

This means I could not get my keys today AND when I contacted my Sales Rep in City Gate (neighborhood I purchased in), she acted as if she had no idea what was going on although my lender said she was on all email communication regarding the tax situation. No one has been able to tell me what exactly is going on and when I’ll be able to receive my keys. This literally has taken the best part of the “first-time homebuyer” experience away and no one seems to care because it isn’t them with the short end of the stick. I will be contacting everyone in corporate tomorrow morning, but I will never purchase another DR Horton home after this experience.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello JaCory. Your concern has been escalated to our South Houston management team for their action.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

This company was great at first and the workers are certainly very helpful with most everything (certainly not a review specifically towards their assistance). However, not happy with the workmanship of the home (seems very poor and rushed) and had major plumbing issues where my driveway now has to be torn up. The poor and rushed workmanship aspect refers to sink faucets being off center and not tightened down, my sink is also off center, bathroom tiles are not level, the underneath of window sills are not painted, the lawn was not properly treated and died due to army worms eating it (this has since mostly been restored), there are paint spots everywhere that I am cleaning (should have been cleaned before thoroughly), and there are still chips in my bathtub.

These are just some of the primary issues recognized thus far. The more serious issue regarding the driveway having to be torn up refers to a plumbing pipe being clogged with debris, which resulted in overflowing toilets and bathtubs. This action now needs to occur to fix issues or mistakes made by the contractors chosen by DR Horton. As a suggestion taken or not, the company should focus on quality rather than "closing as many houses possible before year-end" as that is a rather poor business strategy. Stretching employees or contractors so thin to where they make continuous mistakes is not the answer and will always result in consumer dissatisfaction (hence the current rating of DR Horton).

The company grew too big and forgot to maintain quality over quantity. Hopefully my issues get fixed and this review helps the next home buyer in their search for a good builder. The company should provide some incentive or free smart home hookup and service for a couple with how much stress and headache they have caused in a short time.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

At the end of August 2021, we closed the contract, there were some things that had to be corrected or fixed and they said they would, and others that after closing they would return to fix them, but to this day no one wants to help us.

1. A part of the roof is up, they did not place it correctly.
    2. Some electrical connections do not work.
    3. The yard had many good-sized stones, I have had to remove them and buy land and grass since it is not level, when it rains a lot of water concentrates and it also affects our neighbor.

4. A part of the bathroom is damaged. We are a bit disappointed with some incomplete finishes, a complaint was sent but no response has been received.

D.R. Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Resolution response: Oct. 4, 2021

Spoke with company today.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I will never buy from this builder again. Too many short cuts are taken and they do a half ** job. Also, never seen so many issues in a home in only the first week!! ** company and not worth the cost.

D.R. Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. As you may know, D.R. Horton does not build in New Hampshire so a private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

Don't get possession believing in builder's promise. Promise lot of broken things will be fixed in the first week of move and now it's been 7 months. Not getting a proper answer. Builders and warranty teams start to avoid your call after few weeks and Blame each other. They will fix initially a few things which are an easy to fix and low cost.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Good Morning! We see a warranty request was opened for you 9/28/2021 and it will be worked in the order in which it was entered into our system.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Three times closing date were given and today delayed again! All family is suffering from anxiety and depression now. September 28th was scheduled as closing date for the third time and today when I visited their office to talk the details of moving I was told it was pushed back to an uncertain date once again and now I do not know how to tell this to my daughter who was dreaming of moving into her own room! My friend who started his home buying application almost four months after me is about to move in this Tuesday! Isn't it favoritism? Here is a very brief points of what I have been through:

I have been given three times closing date and each time delayed to further date!

I made plans accordingly and now my life is in chaos. The apartment complex did not renew my lease and I had to live in a hotel room with my family. Then again I had to sign a short term lease with avery high rental fee. Due to the uncertainty in my life, my job performance dropped, once a very bright student my daughter is struggling with her grades, she even does not have a place to study ! We can't rent a proper apartment because nothing is certain. My son can't join us because we are living under minimum possible conditions. My wife started taking anxiety pills!

My home buying process started almost 9 months ago and still waiting for a closing date!

I lost a lot both mentally and moneywise!

I am really helpless and I do not know what I can do more?

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Suat! Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your concerns have been shared with the management team in South Houston for their review and action.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Do not buy!! We bought one of the Most expensive houses in the area. It had a few construction flaws and they promised to fix them afterwards. More than a year after, we are still suffering from a lot of damages around the house. Cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms are peeling off, pantry shelves are split in halves, blinds are falling off, cracks everywhere, water damage caused by faucet with manufacturer defect and they won’t fix it. Cracks in bathrooms, yard wall rocks are falling, gas control is way out of the wall and they keep telling us that as long as it is functioning it is okay!!! Now, my kids bedroom window is tilted. Again before we sign the contract they promised to fix it and they told us it needs some work, now that they found it is going to cost them they said as long as it is functioning it should be fine!!

I am seriously looking for an attorney, and I think this issue needs a class action by D. R. Horton buyers. They will give you a true nightmare, they will not fix anything and they will keep dragging things to save money, so, basically they will sell you a defective house with a lot of promises and then they make you suffer for more than a year so you would give up. Well guess what? I will not give up and I will choose each and every available challenge to make them pay for how they treated us. This is a critical time, there is a pandemic and they keep sending workers to tell us each and every time that “this is not what we do”. This is absolute disrespect for your customers’ time and intelligence. We think that those prices were not good for the damages we are struggling with.

I want everything fixed within two weeks, we have been waiting for more than a year now and D.R. Horton have been using us for this long. It’s the least you can do to try fixing your reputation and honour your part of the contract. Even the person responsible of the repairs in this area, he comes to our house every time very rude and very disrespectful. I know he is trying to save money for his company but guess what, there will be no company or job if you lose your customers!!

D.R. Horton Homes response

Good Afternoon, Entisar. We have shared your comments with our management team in Rowlett, Texas for their review and action.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Our home was built in October 2020. The brick Mason used broken bricks to finish the last bit of the front of our house & filled it in with gobs of caulk. The builder said that Mason was fired & they would have it repaired. Here we are almost a year later, a dozen emails to warranty, text messages, phone calls & several scheduled dates of repair with no shows & still have broken brick on the front of our house. Now, our master bath has accumulated black mold that is spreading rapidly & we cannot get anyone to respond to us in regards to fixing it. It looks like we will have to fix it ourselves. I'm beyond disappointed with this company and firmly believe they are out to get their money & leave you on your own to deal with the ramifications of their poor craftsmanship.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Good Morning, Ashley. We have forwarded your concerns to our team in Sandy Springs, GA for their review and action.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

We are thoroughly disappointed with the actions and lack of action by D.R. Horton regarding our recent purchase of a model home in the Broadmoore Commons community in Pataskala, Ohio. The contract for purchasing a model home contains a “MODEL HOME ADDENDUM” that among other things indicates you are buying the model home “AS IS, WHERE IS”... “in its current condition, which includes, but not limited to landscaping, fencing, ... appliances, air conditioning and electrical systems, ...” Meaning other than D.R. Horton removing the model furniture, everything else in the home was contractually obligated to stay.

Approximately two weeks before our closing date we visited our home and saw that D.R. Horton had removed all of the model furnishings – along with the Whirlpool 500 Series Dishwasher and Electric Stovetop/Range. Removing the appliances was a clear breach of the Model Home Addendum contract. Our Sales Agent, Christy ** had no explanation as to why the appliances were removed or where they were. Michael **, Sales & Closing Coordinator agreed in an email it was a mistake to remove the appliances. In subsequent communications, Area Manager Holly ** agreed to replace appliances with ones of equal or greater value. After saying the replacement appliances would be installed in the days before our closing date, we were texted a picture of the installed appliances at our closing.

After getting possession of our new home, we came to realized that the replacement appliances were not of “equal or greater value”, but were of lesser value and features. In our Home Purchase Agreement in the Purchaser Selection Sheet section it clearly lists Whirlpool 500 Series appliances for a dishwasher and electric cooktop. The replacement appliances were Whirlpool 300 Series appliances that are of lesser value and features than 500 Series models. We were shown 500 Series appliances in our walk throughs and thought we were paying for 500 Series models. This is a classic “bait and switch” tactic used by many unethical businesses.

On August 26th I emailed D.R. Horton employees Holly **, Area Manager, Greg **, Area Manager, Christy **, Sales Agent, and Michael **, Sales & Closing Coordinator that we wanted D.R. Horton to either provide us with 500 Series model dishwasher and electric stovetop or our estimated cost difference between 500 Series models and 300 Series models which we think is $425. On August 31st, three business days later, Holly responded that she would have a “response in the next few days.” On September 7th, four business days later, I emailed Holly asking for an update.

Today, as I post this, seven business days later, we have yet to receive any kind of response from D.R. Horton regarding the appliance “bait and switch” tactic or making it right after they breached our contract with them. So it’s taken them over three weeks to do nothing actionable. It appears this is not unusual behavior from D.R. Horton and it’s totally disappointing as they had an easy opportunity to make things right. Terrible customer service as we will never recommend anyone buy a home from D.R. Horton. PS: Whirlpool 500 Series appliances are readily available at local area Lowe’s stores.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Richard. Our Columbus, Ohio office is working to resolve your concern.

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information