Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

997 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I would like to start by saying that I have been working as an onsite sales agent for D.R. Horton in Wilmington NC since 2013. I bought one of our homes in 2016 in a community that I had worked in for 2 years and finished out. I would like to say that no builder is perfect but I stand behind the quality and energy efficiency of my home! I could have built a home with any builder in Wilmington and I chose to live in a community that I sold in. I wouldn't have built in a community that I represented if I didn't stand behind the quality and product that we build and I sell. I couldn't be happier!

Original review: June 21, 2019

Hi Everyone, My honest opinion is....that first building a home is stressful no matter who the builder is. This is my third house and hopefully my last but everyone expects a perfect house and me too! Some get the opportunity to see the whole process and others walk in one complete not knowing if it was done correct. I guarantee either will be. The problem is you have good and bad contractors that a builder hires. I have never seen a builder hire the most expensive bid and nether would you hire one. It’s all about profit like every American company. Sorry.

I am fortunate enough to know what to look for during the building process and I drive the supervisor crazy. It really comes down to a floor plan, price and location that you will like. My DR Horton Homes met this criteria on all three on two of the builds. I’m fortunate with relocating in different states they were here. All builders have these issues and it’s down to what you want. Just make sure the person in charge of building your house (supervisor) gets out of his truck and goes over the work they are doing than sitting on their phone all day and just cutting P.O.’s. If he seems that lazy then your house will look it. They need to keep on the quality and I felt my guy did his best. After one year now they came back with the contractors and repaired my floors and interior paint. I happy and that is all that matters. Do I see problems in the future. Maybe but if you have any house you will. That’s life. Hope this helps.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning, Bruce. Thank you for your comments. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This is the first home that I have ever purchased. I read the reviews online and saw that they were terrible, and I decided to continue with the purchase of my home with this builder. First, let's start with the "locating a home" process. I was too close to my apartment lease ending to have a home built from scratch, so I chose a model home. The sales representative, Nancy was very attentive and patient explaining everything. She was also very straight-forward (which I like). She showed me the home and explained the process of buying it. After we decided to move forward the the home, she drafted the contract and I read every single page (remember, I read the reviews so I didn't trust the builder). Again, Nancy was very patient and helpful.

When it came to finishing the model home, I was brought in for inspections and looked at the home several times. I wasn't able to choose my own colors and cabinetry because the far was too far along by that point, but I didn't mind. I used the DR Horton Financial company as a lender for the loan, and the representative Tiffany was very helpful. She answered every one of my calls, and always had an answer. If she didn't she got back to me promptly. The closing was not delayed, I was kept in the loop, and it was executed as planned.

On to the final walk-through inspection. This is the area where DR Horton has room for improvement. About 2 days prior to closing, the builder scheduled the initial and final walk-through. I was skeptical that things would be fixed in that time, but it was. It is important to note that all findings were cosmetic, and nothing major. I'm not a handyman, so I wouldn't be able to tell if something major was wrong anyway.

On the day of closing, everything went smooth and we purchased the home. There are still some things that need to be fixed (there is a dent in the garage door), but nothing major. The only thing that I noticed is that on my kitchen island, under the granite countertop, the builder did not install a piece of molding. Purely cosmetic, but still. The overall process went smooth.

**IMPORTANT**. If you take one thing from this review, take this. I hired my own inspector (cost about $300) to inspect the entire home for anything that is wrong. Even though it is a new home, you never know what might be wrong so hire a professional to look at the home for you. Don't let anyone tell you not to have an inspection simply because the home is new -- my inspector DID find some discrepancies.

Also, FINAL IMPORTANT NOTE. Hire a real estate agent. They are your advocate and when things aren't going your way, it is good to have someone fighting on your side. DR Horton paid my real estate agent's fees, I think this is something they regularly do. The inspection that I paid for and my real estate agent were my two biggest reliefs when it came to this process. I used the VA loan because I am a veteran. I say this because I'm not sure if this affected any portion of my home-buying process differently than someone else.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Joel. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton and thank you for your service. We hope that you enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I read reviews prior to doing a DR Horton purchase as well did my own research by using my experience with them. I had zero issues as well received prompt attention to anything that has happened since my purchase within this 1st year. The only issue was a blown out circuit breaker for my garbage disposal. I would recommend them and doing your own homework rather than listen to the one-sided views of some of the reviewers. You do your research and consider what square footage your receiving for the price you pay. Make sure your home is one that wasn’t build on backfill, my home was build on dugout ground we have had zero settlement cracks cement or walls. Let’s see how year 2 goes. God bless the USMC AND AMERICA as well keep AMERICA moving in the MAGA agenda. VOTE FOR AMERICA AND VOTE TRUMP 2020.

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you for your comments Dan, and thank you for your service.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I purchased a DR Horton Express home in August 2017. As with any home, new or old, there are always issues found during walkthrough, inspection, and after having lived in the home several months. Although there were several issues, the customer service representative and building representative made certain all of my issues were addressed and fixed and answered all of my questions. When more homes were sold and customer solutions became extremely busy, it took longer for someone to get back to me and longer to get contractors to the home to fix the problem; however, they did eventually fix everything.

I sent my 1-year list to them, and the building representative addressed all my concerns. The building representative and customer solutions representative get a 5-star rating. The 4-star review overall is because the paint is construction grade (I had to repaint, but on plus side painted the colors I wanted) and because towel racks and toilet tissue holders were not included (installed myself); however, I chose what I wanted while also having ceiling fans installed. Overall, very positive experience. Awesome neighbors too!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Lin! Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Compare the quality of work to Adams and DSLD first. Talk to people in the neighborhood. Do Not Expect your earnest money back if the home is not up to your standard. These people will justify keeping your money any way possible. Maybe not all DR Horton locations are as bad as the experience we had with Winged Foot location in Daphne Alabama, but after contacting their main office in Arlington Texas, I can tell you they are very rude once declining one of their homes. Very disappointed in what we thought was a reputable builder.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

New home is 6 months old. Water leaks under house, landscaping full of construction debris, concrete chipping, gutters and siding falling off. Customer Service routinely unresponsive. Irrigation system flooding under the house, pictures available. After closing DR Horton does NOT stand by their homes.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I have been in my D.R. Horton home for a month and asked to have my landscaping changed and they refused. It’s Bahia grass and both my neighbors yards are nice and mine is terrible. When asking them to replace the grass they flat out denied, didn’t even care about how it looked and told me to replace it myself.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I did a contract on a home that was supposed to be completed at the end of June. I pushed the closing out on the sale of my home until end of July to give any extra time they might need. We still were not ready at closing and even had to do a lease back on my house and move in to a house that still had issues. As of now my yard looks like a bomb went off. Tiger Landscape did a horrible job and now DR Horton is trying to piece it together. The whole yard needs to be ripped out and laid correctly. I had major cracks in my front and back porches as well. Their solution was to grind out the cracks, do a brush finish and seal it. Now the porches will be a different color than the rest of the concrete around the house.

I have over 100 emails with sales reps and construction managers and spent numerous hours out of my time from my work trying to stay on top of things. I would not have closed if for the fact school was about to start and my house had already closed on. Also I spent about 5 hours of my own time the day before moving in to clean up debris such as Coke cans, water bottles, excess sod, mud, concrete pieces of the property and the streets. I have numerous pics that I can provide as well. I still have to have touch up work done inside and the lot next to me has been used as a dumping ground by Tiger Landscape.

I would not recommend DR Horton to anyone. I read all of these reviews and thought maybe it's only a few but I guess not. Today they came out to replace a garage trim piece on side of garage because it was scratched and the new piece looks worse. The day I moved in I had ants in the pantry and my GFI outlets did not work in the garage. My living room ceiling fan wobbles as well. My front rooms (3) total are all more hot than the rest of the house.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

We purchased our home back in August 2018 and in general I was very excited and loved our new home. As a community here there has been several huge issues such as the quality of flooring and other items that as a community we have been trying to address. I've personally contacted DR Horton via email and through the warranty portal regarding our own issues. Currently my grass is burning because our sprinkler system has stopped working. We had to go buy sprinklers just to keep the grass from totally being ruined.

I still have issues with original items on my walk-thru and continue dealing with my floors. I'm at a loss as to what to do and think about the quality of customer service that has been provided to our community in general. This is NOT my first new home and I've never experienced the level of issues/problems and lack of concern once purchasing a home. I'm hoping that this gets better and will gladly update this review once it does.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information