1.41/5
Based on 154 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

727 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

After closing we noticed standing water in back/side yard. Noted yard flooding in our 30 day review. We were promised by DR HORTON that a french drain would be installed by July 7, 2018. We are still waiting. I have detailed photos during construction and of standing water on North side of house. Standing water was mentioned many times over the course of construction. We were assured by Horton builder that water concerns were taken care of, yet here we are. They knew there was a drainage problem because they "installed" a swale in the backyard - that does not work - and we were not informed of the swale prior to closing. Every time it rains, our back/side yard floods.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Kathy - please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and contact information so we can assist you.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I am currently under contract with DR Horton's Freedom collection of homes. Although my initial reaction with their customer service was great, the actual purchasing of my home has been hideous, to say the least. I was promised, (physically told via text), that I would be getting upgraded light fixtures and THEN, I was told NO, emphatically and had to deal with a deflecting defense system of the sales person that had stated to me that I would be getting the lights. Since, I have tried to reach upper management to discuss the PROOF, I had/have pertaining to the approval of these upgraded lights, (which were thrown in to "sweeten the pot," for my home and then, taken away! These lights were the deciding factor on the model home I wanted, the other model home was by far less expensive. I have been getting the run-around and closing is fast approaching, if I must walk away and not actually purchase this home, so be it.

At this point it is less about the lights and more about TRUST. WILL they be there for me should anything happen to my home and while it is still under this so-called warranty that per what I am reading, they do not abide by nor stand behind their product. Before anyone makes any comment for me to reach out to CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com, I have already done this, as the management office, is horrify difficult to get a hold of, once you are placed on hold, you will never hear from the individual again! Classic deflection, classic, "pass the buck." I am so very disappointed and hope that I still can salvage this purchase.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Paul. We will escalate your concern to our management team in Tampa.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Submitted issue with the sprinkler system last week and been told someone going to call to schedule the fix within 3-5 business days. Called Jay - D.R. Horton Warranty guy today to check the status for it since nobody contacted me yet. He said he's going to contact their contractor to follow up the status for it but there's nothing he can do if they didn't get back to me cause they are the ONLY one that D.R. Horton have to fix the sprinkler system... And it's a busy season. I was telling him that this is frustrating cause I scared my grass going died soon. He responded very rude!

Here's how he responded, "Why you're frustrated? You're not the only one that have sprinkler problem, thousands of people having that issue right now. Due to the busy season, you just have to wait till your turn!" I told him I understand but still frustrated have to wait like this without knowing when it'll get fix. As if it's not part of the warranty, I probably already get it fixed by now. He responded with another inconsiderate thought, "Well you are welcome to get someone to fix it for you but you going to bear all the cost and your warranty will be forfeited!"

Instead giving me a comfort assurance that it'll get fixed soon & D.R. Horton will keep their warranty promises/responsibilities, he was making me so upset and regretted to purchase my home with D.R. Horton!! On top of that, made a phone call to the customer service department this morning, left voicemail with phone number to contact me back. And of course nobody would call me back... D.R. Horton have the worse customer service ever!!! This is not my 1st bad encounter with D.R. Horton, it's already started from beginning of getting my house with Jon - the builder that keep giving me empty promises to take care of things before I moved in. But just disappeared without any news. I would never ever recommend anyone buying their home!

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Suzanne. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name and address so we help bring your concern to closure.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I closed on a home on July 31, 2018. Prior to closing I had my first walkthrough of the home on July 24, 2018. On the first walkthrough my wife and I pointed out the things that needed to be repaired. We were assured that these things would be repaired before closing on the home. My final walkthrough was scheduled for July 31, 2018. This was my closing date as well. My walk through was scheduled for 9:00 am and closing was scheduled for 11:00 am. My wife and I arrived for the final walkthrough at 9:00 am. When we arrived there wasn’t anyone on the premises to conduct the walkthrough. My wife and I went inside the home and began to look around. We noticed that repairs weren’t done and major installations weren’t completed.

I contacted my real estate agent to notify her. She told me that she would contact Tangela ** (D.R. Horton onsite agent). My agent called me back and told me that Tangela was going to contact the builder. At approximately 9:30 Daniel showed up to conduct the walkthrough. When Daniel arrived he seemed stressed and overwhelmed. He told us that he thought our closing was at 3:00 pm. This didn’t make sense to me either way. The initial walkthrough was conducted on July 24, 2018. There was an entire week to complete the repairs. Daniel began to make phone calls to different people regarding repairs. It was total chaos! My wife was frantic at this point. It was so much that needed to be done. We had to leave in order to make it to closing on time. Going to closing with all this going on was very stressful.

We arrived to closing at 11:00 am. While waiting in the lobby I was given paperwork that included a survey. I had to list all the things that weren’t completed in the home. We were finally called to a room to start the closing procedure at approximately 11:40 am. While in the room for closing a lady entered the room and notified us that the repairs had been completed and provided us with a document with the repairs that weren’t completed and needed my signature. I didn’t feel comfortable signing the document not knowing if the repairs had really been completed or not.

My wife had to leave the closing to go back to the home to make sure that the repairs were done. My wife called to confirm that some of the repairs were done. She also explained to me that everything was being rushed and half done. While she was there she was pointing out things that were missed. She was given a work completion agreement document by a D.R. Horton representative (Frank). This document referred to the repairs that weren’t completed that day (floors and carpet seam). They were scheduled to be repaired on 8-6-18 but weren’t.

My wife called Tangela ** on 8-6-2018 at 11:13 am to confirm that the repairs would be completed because we had not heard from anyone regarding the repairs. Tangela said that she was going to contact the builder. Daniel contacted my wife and told her that the repairs were still scheduled for 8-6-2018 but didn’t have an exact time. Later on that afternoon I received a call saying that the floor and carpet repairs would be done Thursday 8-9-18. All of this has been extremely frustrating! There has been a lack of communication and a lack of urgency. I expected so much more from D.R. Horton.

After waiting for over a week to get these repairs done the repairmen showed up on 8-9-10 and still didn’t complete the repairs! They arrived and appeared to be clueless as to why they were there. My wife tried to explain to them and show them the floor and how it needed to be repaired. They didn’t speak English. They began to speak in Spanish to each other. They stepped outside. My wife assumed that they were going to get tools from their van. After time passed by she noticed that they had not come back inside. They left! They didn’t say anything! They just left! This is unacceptable! I received a call saying that the builder was going to have to come out regarding the floor. I’m really tired of the back and forth and the poor customer service.

After moving in we realized that we didn’t have a doorbell! The box was in the inside of the home but the bell wasn’t on the outside. It’s not something that you think you would need to check for. Wilco Electric came and installed the doorbell on 8-8-16. I am now left with a big hole in my wall where they had to cut! I haven’t heard from anyone regarding this matter. I would think that this would have been taken care of immediately. Let me just say again how disappointed I am with D.R. Horton. I have received better customer service at Chick-fil-A! This is unacceptable! I would like to have ALL of my repairs completed immediately. I have been more than patient and understanding. At this point I’m irritated and disappointed with D.R. Horton.

I would also like to mention when we moved in on 7-31-18 the house wasn’t clean. The carpet was dirty and had not been cleaned. The shower in the master bathroom was dirty and scuffed with black marks on the floor of the shower. The sinks and mirrors were dirty and covered with fingerprints. The garage was full of sawdust. The doorknobs had/has paint on them. This was just a bad buying experience. We’re so disappointed. The shower head in the master bedroom wasn’t working. The builder (Daniel) was notified. He said that he would get us another one. Days later and we still don’t have a functioning shower in our brand new house. I just purchased one on my own.

The wrong touch-up paint was given to us. Imagine this! It’s just been issue after issue. This was reported as well. We still do not have the correct touch up paint. Moving into your new home should be a joyous occasion. I can’t say that it has been for us. Like I said we expected so much more from D.R. Horton. We are in the process of putting up unhappy homeowner signs in our yard. This is a new community, potential buyers should be warned.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Michael. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name and address so we can assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

The kitchen cabinet door covering above the microwave has melted... after many telephone calls representative came out and confirmed the problem! That was 2-3 months ago... since then NO ONE from DR Horton has ever contacted me!!! I can see it's an easy fix and probably wouldn't cost much money, I would do it myself! 1) Why should I on a new $265,000 home. 2) Even if I wanted to, the cabinet maker doesn't sell the same doors locally!!!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Marc. Please email your name, address and telephone number to CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com so we can review your concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I just wanted to express my frustrations with the parking situation and “curb appeal” here at Sunrise Ridge! It is absolutely atrocious and it angers me that nothing is being done about it. Why am I paying “X” amount of dollars for an HOA that isn’t holding the neighborhood accountable to the rules. If there is a plan in place to start enforcing the rules “AFTER” all of the houses are built and moved into, then I don’t see that it’s fair the whole neighborhood fork out all this money for nothing! I understand it covers the mowing of the lawns once a week but that’s all I am seeing get done around here.

People park in the wrong side of the street, not to mention there are dozens of homes with 4+ vehicles per home that park in front of homes that aren’t theirs, front lawns look terrible from lack of watering, we even have a neighbor with an ugly red couch on their front porch. I am high disappointed with my purchase and do not recommend living within a DR Horton community!

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Kameron - We recommend you discuss your concerns with your property management company for their action.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I am writing to express my disappointment with DR Horton’s failure to comply with my 1st warranty requests and the horrible parking situation. Since Jon **, site manager, left customer service has gone down dramatically. The current maintenance guy is extremely unresponsive. I have made numerous requests to have things fixed through DR Horton’s website and via phone. I put my last request in on 6/21/17 to have my fence repaired, the fire door to my garage adjusted so that it closes, two bathroom door fixed (one closes on it own and the other doesn’t open unless you kick it) and the cover for my air conditioner hose installed. However, to date, none of my requests have been completed. Basically all I am getting is lip service.

Parking is another issue. People park on the sidewalks, directly under the no parking signs, and the builder’s contractor’s park their work trucks on the private fire lane that leads up to my house. Basically, making it impossible for my neighbors and I to get to and from the main road in the Sunrise Ridge community. Also, My packages are delayed because delivery drivers cannot get around all the construction vehicles and the illegally parked cars. There are a few houses left here for sale but I would not recommend purchasing one of them unless you want to deal with constant headache!

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Choyce - we cannot find a warranty request in our system for you. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com to confirm your contact information and we will be happy to assist you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I had a water leak; the result of a trade using a nail gun and hitting a water pipe for the air conditioning. As a result the ceiling fell in my laundry room and had a flood in the kitchen and office. DR Horton came immediately to fix the leak and completed all the drywall and painting from the damage in a very short amount of time. They did everything they promised and were very aggressive in getting everything done quickly and properly. I was very impressed with their prompt and professional service. They did a great job! Thank you DR Horton!!!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi John - Thank you for sharing your story. We're happy to restore your home and provide you with excellent customer service.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I just wanted people out there to know before you buy a DR Horton home, please check air conditioning unit and research the unit's size if it is adequate for home. Because it happened to me, I bought a home in Richmond TX and didn't check my unit's size. When I started noticing my home not cooling well, I notified warranty department and to make a looong story short, they kept sending their air conditioning company, but they kept trying to convince me nothing wrong with the unit. I finally got fed up, for my home does not cool adequately (very frustrating when you live in the hottest state!).

So I got not one but 2 companies telling me unit is too small for my home size. Of course they were denying up the Ying and the Yang! So I paid a state inspector to check to see what is the problem. Finally, he found several problems to be addressed and they completely washed their hands to follow through inspector's recommendations. And here I sit in a brand new home, without proper cooling. Can you imagine spending so much money for a new home to have no cooling as should be in the hot summer days. Please be aware! I advise.

Updated on 08/14/2018: To my surprise DR Horton reached out to me, and they responded. They said they would address my concerns and send my information to warranty corporate department, and I just wanted people to know till this day I haven't heard from warranty dept. I think they responded to me perhaps to look good in the eyes of the people reading the review, but still I have my problem and they are not helping me at all!!! So please be vigilant if you are going to purchase a home from DR Horton with the air conditioner. Please!!! Because they will not take care of you.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning Ivelisse - please email us at corporatecustomercare@drhorton.com with your address and contact information so we can review your concern.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My family and I recently moved to Greenville, SC from Myrtle Beach, SC where we had purchased 2 DR Hortons. One was purchased in 2004 and the other in 2014. Both homes were satisfactory, but only because being in construction, I knew what to look for to make sure the home was built correctly for the most part. In January of 2018, I was possibly looking at accepting a position in Greenville, so my wife and I came up to tour the area. We found the James Lake community in the Easley/Powdersville area. My wife wanted to visit the community against my choice, but I decided to give it a shot. Upon touring the community, we found that the home features and lots suited our needs. I did not get the best gut feeling for Allen, the salesman, but once again, we wanted to move forward with looking at the possibility of purchasing a home.

While touring the community, we found a model we liked. Unfortunately, I did not accept the position. Skipping ahead to June of 2018, I accepted another position with another company in Greenville. My wife and I immediately came up to Greenville to tour the area and especially James Lake again. We decided it would be a good idea to obtain a real estate agent, just to help with any possible negotiations. I immediately noticed a difference in Allen's demeanor, once we notified him we had an agent. He probably saw the loss of half his commission. Upon touring the community there was model already built that we were happy with along with a lot which was recommended by Allen, if we did not go with the existing home. The thing that struck me wrong the day we toured with Allen and our agent, Allen kept trying to sale us on homes that did not have what we wanted or suit our needs.

My wife and I left to think on the entire deal. We did state to Allen that the sale of our home was contingent. We were already in the process of getting our Myrtle Beach home on the market at this point. We put our house on the market on a Friday and over the weekend we put an offer in on the existing house, only for Allen to respond that we had to have a contract on our house, which had never been mentioned. On the following Tuesday evening, we accepted an offer on our house in MB. We immediately contacted Allen, via our agent, to put in an offer with our contract in hand. We were told that someone beat us to the punch by 8 hours. We then told Allen we would like to build the same house on the lot he recommended to us back on the day we toured with our agent.

His response was that he could not build a house on the lot, because the lot had not been taken down from the developer. He stated the developer was holding up the lot. Fortunately, I have connections in the area, and found out it was not true. The developer was waiting on DR Horton. I contacted one the local upper Managers with DR Horton, to find out when the lot may be taken down and I told him that I would like the lot when it was ready. I told him what model I wanted and he said that would be ok.

Two weeks ago, the gentlemen from DR Horton called and said that they could no longer allow the model we wanted on the lot we wanted. We asked why, and it was claimed that because of the depth house, the septic system could not be installed correctly. A shallower house would need to be built. I knew this was not true, because the other house and lot was not as deep as this one and Allen had sent me a layout of the model we wanted and the septic system on the current lot of discussion. I remembered I had a copy of the drawing in my e-mail still.

I tried calling the gentleman back, so I could send him what I have, but he will not return my calls. In the meantime, we asked for the cost of the model DR Horton wants to build because we do like the model. Allen quoted the model at $40,000 more than the model we started with. I am not interested in paying more for a 2nd choice home. We have given up on this and will not be looking at DR Horton communities anymore. They got our money twice, but not again.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My wife and I bought our home From D.R. Horton September 2017 and we have had to spend several thousand dollars to replace the carpet that was installed over trash and dirt. And we have air returns that had trash thrown in them and painted in them that caused me to get very sick for over ten weeks before we found the problem. The contractor Tommy ** marked our property wrong for our fence to be installed and our fence is three to four feet off line. The house work they do is very bad and have had many problems.

I have talked to Tommy and he refused to reinstall my fence since he marked it wrong. I have talked to customer service in Charlotte N.C. I have talked to Deron ** once in Greeville S.C. He will not call me. I talked to Carl ** and he talked to his supervisor that will do nothing and I called Corporate in Arlington TX. And they refused to help as well. I have recently sent several email to Mr. David ** at ** with no respond so far. so it seems no one cares about the poor quality home them sell or the lies we are told to make it right. On a scale of 1-10 I would give they a 0. Buy any home but a D.R. Horton.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My experience with DR Horton was a nightmare, one that involved much stress and unnecessary heartache. My husband and I were in a long two month process with this company to only be told THE DAY before closing that we were not going to be able to close due to some unprocessed paperwork. We were devastated because our home had been sold the week before and now THIS!!! Needless to say, it didn't matter to 'the powers that be', because they were not in this position, so we were left homeless and they did not care! I have never witnessed such non-professionalism along with uncaring in my lifetime.

I most definitely would NOT recommend this company to anyone ever, because I would hate for anybody to have to experience the anguish that my family went through dealing with these people and this horrible company/business. If you're one of the ones that had a pleasant experience with them, consider yourselves lucky, because they are the WORLD'S WORST!!!

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Berita - please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your contact information, where you were contracted to purchase and what happened so we can better research your case.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I am been waiting almost 3 months and tired to listening lies, due to poor land grading left side and backyard ground is sinking, front window panel installed wrong. It's crooked and look horrible, Stucco Tile grout is cracking due to drywall shift. I was told when we did walk through to wait until end of 1 year warranty, now they denied. Recently they came to fixed drywall nails pop up, I don't think they did good, paint all over the windows and bathrooms. I am tired and decided to park a car with big sign saying DR HORTON RIP YOU OFF, they just wanted to sell houses.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Roshan. Your concern was escalated to our management team in Maryland. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton if you have additional concerns.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I am very disappointed that I have no other choice but to write a review here and will have to knock all possible doors outside to resolve the issue I am having with my new home. I tried all other means to reach out to my builder but looks like after selling the home they forgot their promises and don't care! I recently purchased a new construction home from DR Horton. I had it inspected by an independent inspector and identified an issue with vibration on second floor causing by a fan in downstair which makes one of the bedrooms on upstair not livable. My builder said he will take care of it and will resolve it before my final walk.

The final walk was intentionally scheduled on the day of our closing saying they are too busy and can arrange the final walk only 2 hours before closing. Now I understand why they scheduled it so late! My salesman and builder repeatedly texted me and emailed me saying all the issues were resolved as per the inspection report and as they were too busy so they didn't have any choice but to schedule the final walk on the closing day at 8 am. My closing was at 10 am.

To my surprise, on the closing day, I found the vibration issue was not fixed. I wanted to postpone the closing but they said it was not possible! But the builder promised me that he will fix it within 3 days and took a note of it on the items pending list. I had to go ahead and close the house as I had only like 40 minutes left after final walk. However, it's been 5 months now. Hundreds of emails I have send them regarding the issue.

The builder instructed me to file warranty claim and stopped picking up my calls. I submitted the 3 months warranty claim. The technician came and agreed that it needs to be fixed. They send the KB people and Lighting Connection people who are blaming each other but no one is fixing the issue. Now the technician offered me some cheap quality Chandelier to replace the fan downstairs saying this is what she can offer as they cannot fix the issue. Some $50 dollar worth cheap chandelier! Seriously! So all those email they send me earlier and all the promises were nothing but lies!

I have documented each and every text messages/emails I had with my builder and sales person where they repeatedly deceived me saying this is a minor issue and will be fixed. If I had known the complexity of fixing the issue then I would have never purchased the house. Legally it is the responsibility of the builder to inform me if the house has any issue.

I do not understand, if I am within the 1 year warranty period then what is the problem of fixing the issue now! What is the point then having this one year warranty offered by DR Horton? We are really busy people and does not have time to follow up on this every time. So I was ready to accept a chandelier instead of the fan but DR Horton offering me the cheapest quality product and acting like they have no obligation after the house is sold. They won't fix the issue which legally and as per their warranty agreement they should and they won,t offer us a decent chandelier as well.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning Syed - so we can better assist you please provide your name, address and telephone number to at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I was relocating to Dallas-Fort Worth with my job. I didn’t know anything about the areas so the first meeting we had I ended up finding a house that I absolutely fell in love with **. Bridgett was my realtor (Century 21 Judge Fite) and Paul (sales agent for DR Horton). I negotiated a price with sales agent and put down my earnest money of $1k. Fast forward to the inspection that I got done and paid $469 for out of my pocket to ensure this house was up to par. Needless to say the inspection revealed numerous of issues that was very concerning considering this was a new property that no one had ever resided in.

I advised that I would allow the repairs to be completed but would require a separate independent inspection or same company who did the first one. The builder declined to pay for it therefore I refused to move forward due to different leaks and cracks with the foundation with evidence of leakage within the foundation which appears to be the norm with this specific builder. There was also a evidence of leaks in the master bathroom which the house was brand new no previous owners so how would that be considered normal wear and tear. There was issues with the stove burner, there were nails bulging from the roof shingles, there was some other critical.

Damaged shingles on the roof, cracks in the brickwork, sample of the furnace flue pipe not secured, main panel not covered, sagging and disconnect of air ductwork supply, there were exposed drip lines and were not UV resistance, leaks around the tub and shower, light fixtures missing, the foundation has shifted in one or two areas evident mainly by brickwork cracks. There is poor drainage in some areas around the perimeter of the foundation. Recommend this be corrected to help minimize future foundation movement. Recommend caulking between the wood roof trim and siding mainly along the garage side of the home to help prevent water penetration. I have requested earnest money back after the inspection and the builder advising they will not pay for an independent survey. After reviewing these many complaints it’s sad this company is still in business!

I’ve requested my deposit or a letter as to why so I can move forward with attorney. They will not! I’ve contacted DR Horton’s corporate no response from the email, I contacted Century 21 Judge Fite in Dallas because that’s the realtor office and unsuccessful! I will never do business with DR Horton or Century 21 Judge Fite. Horrible customer service! Needless to say my contract had never been canceled but yet the same house is on the market. How interesting. I’m sure with the same issues but I’ve never gotten my money back! The worst experience of all time! I have been emailing Paul now trying to get it resolved the legal way! As I read these other complaints maybe I should count my blessings.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 28, 2018

I just wanted to thank DHI Mortgage. We were supposed to close yesterday on our beautiful new home. Even wired them 107,000 dollars as a down payment. Only to get to the closing table and be told we needed to come up with another 40,000 dollars in liquid verifiable assets for them to fund the mortgage. Me my wife and 2 young children are now homeless with school starting in 2 weeks.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Andy - please email us with your contact information at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com so we can properly review your concern.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Oyster Point, SC - I bought townhouse one year ago. This is not my first home. I was out of state buyer and it make me more appreciate care that I received from point employee. Even at this point if I have a question, I feel welcomed to call and ask a question. Tara ** and Kevin (sorry no last name) he is a builder always been helpful. I did have a house inspection and had several items to be fixed. All my items were fixed before closing without any argument. Also, I used DHI for mortgage and insurance. Both experiences were suspenseful and price competitive. Michelle ** for the mortgage reduced my stress significantly. Please ask for her if you can.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Margarita. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We are happy you are enjoying your new home.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 26, 2018

I’m writing this to express my disappointment with this company. We signed a contract for a "to be build" house in Santa Rosa Beach Florida. Buying a new home should be a great experience, filled with excitement and great memories. And at the beginning it was, Jennifer at the sales office was great, answered all our questions and was very accommodating. Unfortunately, everything changed once they start building the house, during our first walk with the superintendent on 5/8/18, we noticed, pointed out and voice our concerns regarding the large amount of nails popping out, “splits” studs used and the several sheets of plywood that we felt weren’t up to the standards expected (they were definitely of inferior quality).

Before we left, we asked for some of the studs and the sheets of plywood to be replaced and the DR Horton representative agreed to do it before proceeding with the house wrap and moving forward with roofing and drywall. On 5/14/18, I sent an email to the superintendent asking about the issues noted during our first walk. He responded on 5/18/18, during his weekly recap, that the issues will be taken care of by the following Monday. On 5/25/18, I stopped by the house and asked the superintendent if the issues noted during our first walk were taken care off, which he responded in the affirmative. He then led us into the house and to our surprise the plywood sheets weren’t replaced but patched over it and the studs were just re-enforced. At that time, I expressed my displeasure regarding the lack of follow up and transparency.

On 6/1/18, I received communication that the items were replaced and that I could come over and walk the house one more time. While the issues were in fact fixed, we were treated very poorly by the DR Horton Representative, questioning as to why we wanted those items replaced and how it was a wasted of time. As you can imagine, I was not very happy with the situation and didn’t appreciate the way my wife and I were talk to. At that time, once again we were ready to walk out and cancel the contract but was promised that everything was going to be taken care of going forward.

After not receiving any updates for about 14 days, we made another appointment to walk the house and agreed with a representative of DR Horton to do it on 6/21/18. During this walk, we noticed some issues but we were told that they will take care of those during their punch walk. Based on my previous experience, we weren’t too confident about getting a positive resolution. As a matter of fact, the last update we received on the house was on 6/16/18, even though we were told that weekly updates will be sent to us. At that time, we informed DR Horton our desire to cancel the contract due to their inability to take care of the issues in a timely manner and the poor quality and workmanship of the house. Of course, now they want to keep our deposit even though they fail to delivered a quality product.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Jaime - please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your contact information so we can better assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: July 25, 2018

I am writing this to express the utter disappointment in the quality and craftsmanship of the new home I purchased from DR Horton. We purchased a home and closed on 7/11. The home from the beginning had many obvious flaws. Walls inside the house are crooked, installed tubs have uneven gaps, many drywall imperfections, floor has a hump... obviously they laid the floor with something under it, garage frame crooked and sagging. This list goes on and on. As I looked at the DR Horton website it has a section where they show the difference from buying a new home vs. an older home.

To be honest I wish I bought an older home; Quality would be way better and I would know what I was getting into. Not the case with this new home we purchased. We expected to move in and go on with life. Today is the 25th and we have yet to move in. It is issue after issue. I would NOT recommend DR Horton in the Savannah, Georgia area. This is very unfortunate because in Texas (we previously lived there) the homes were the best in the area. If you think buying a new home will alleviate any issues, wrong! Opt for an older house that has been built with pride!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Vivian! Thank you for sharing. Your concerns have been escalated to our management team that oversees your community.

Original review: July 21, 2018

This is long. A little over a year ago we purchased our new home in Tierra Linda. Dale (great salesman) assured us that DR Horton had managed to change the requirements for the new homes to NOT have a wall. We read the Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions prior to finalizing our paperwork. As a new buyer we took our time, there is no requirement for homeowners to build a 'wall'. The HOH is pursuing homeowners without the walls diligently, and seeking to begin a fining process. The HOH president, Bruce, keeps reiterating that the CCR T8.19 references this, verbally and with a newsletter. However the wording is off. This was admitted at the last HOA meeting that there is a typo.

As a new homeowner, reading CCR, this does NOT say what the HOA is wanting it to say. I quote "All rear yard walls shall be enclosed with a masonry wall, or a combination of masonry and square steel tubing, and shall conform to the Design Review Guidelines and Rules. All other fencing and screen walls shall be constructed according to the Design Review Guidelines. All Screen Walls and Fencing shall require approval by the Committee." In good faith we purchased our home within our budget. IF a wall was required within the 'year' that Bruce and the HOA continues to quote, we would NOT have purchased this home as an additional $15,000-30,000 is not within our current expenditures. We plan for a wall in approximately 5-10 years.

I know this is a repeat, but the HOA is very vocal at this time. We also have a VA loan, a major monetary, forced improvement might not be in alignment with our loan. We are hearing many second hand reports and we would like to hear directly from someone in authority. We are pursuing DR Horton for 1st hand information. Another homeowner has have a phone call from DR Horton, but not 5 others (ourselves included) have not.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Cris. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare with your address and telephone number so we can review this for you.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I bought my new home in Florida. This is my third home that I have owned so not new to home ownership. From the beginning they put us through certain things that goes with getting approved for a new home, but when it came time for us to go to closing it kept getting pushed back to the time where I had to sign my lease at the apartment that I was living at. Then 2 months later they were ready to go to closing and the date got changed again and again, my spouse finally said that they can take this house and buy it where the sun doesn't shine. We were tired of being jerked around. They finally promised us the closing date and it was set and would not change.

The big day came and we moved in. Now a year later water spot on the ceiling of garage. Thought the roof was leaking. After 2 months and threatening to get a lawyer a representative from the roofing company comes out. And to my surprise tells me that the dormer over my front door the sides were never finished no mud or stucco or paint on the sides. How this ever got passed by the inspectors behooves me. The representative from DR Horton came out finally and stated that he has seen this before on this model of house (REALLY SEEN BEFORE). Also the concrete in the garage floor only has one saw cut down the center nothing across so no the concrete is cracking also the front part of the driveway and the patio good only knows what is below the tile and carpet in the house for only being a year old what the heck in 5 years am I going to be driving on a gravel driveway hope not.

The representative stated to me that get this "DR Horton is still alive and that he is changing his way and becoming more customer friendly." Once again I say (REALLY) should have always been that way since we are paying a lot of money for WHAT I thought a home. Maybe they should hire better skilled people to build their homes and use better products. I went there hurricane Irma and once again only God know how much water went into the house. My lawyer said give them a chance to fix the situation and you better believe that I am going to watch every move that they do and anything that I think is not kosher I am going to pull the cord and call the lawyer up.

Beside all the things that we were told about this community like a gated community (BS) a true gated community would have a wall or at least a fence around the whole property not just a gate in the front that doesn't even work and supposedly cost around $52,000. Boy someone got took to the cleaners on that one. Til I see some major fixes I am finished for now and I hope that they keep their promise to me on this or it will not be pretty 'cause I probably should have listened to my spouse from the beginning and told them the shove this house someone a year ago.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Arthur. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your contact information so we can review your concern.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We are under contract on **. We ratified this contract on December 18, 2017- seven months ago today. The lack of communication or updates has been very disappointing. We have been extremely accommodating, understanding and patient throughout this process. The delays continue to arise- adjustments with plans due to seismic changes, permits being resubmitted, tree approvals, etc.

We were originally told this home would be completed in July/August. This was their plan as they have 3 boys who will be starting school here next month. We were then told only to rent for a few months as the home would be completed in the Fall. Luckily, they signed a 6-month lease but this property has now sold and they are under time constraints, yet again. We are now being told that the home will be completed by Christmas.

On June 1st, the approved permit was emailed to us and we were told construction would be beginning ASAP. However, still nothing has been done.

We were made aware this morning, after calls and emails, that the Town of Mount Pleasant requested additional information and engineer drawings on the drainage around the trees, cannot understand why these drawings previously submitted were not done by an engineer? This is not the first house built in this neighborhood but maybe the 300th, so there should not be surprises.

What is the status on this? We need some firm dates on the start of construction and completion. We continue to get the "run around" and no answers. We remain excited about the home and neighborhood but we need to figure out if/when the home will be completed. Do we need to change our plans and look at other neighborhoods or homes? Please provide some answers, updates and timing at your earliest convenience.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Kevin - please let us know where you are currently under contract so we can properly review your concern. For your privacy, please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with this information.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We purchased our first home from DR Horton back in 2014. It was in a new development in Louisiana. After the first year, we had some settlement cracks in the drywall and tile flooring. We reached out to DR Horton and they came out that same week. Looked at the issues we were having, listened to our concerns, and brought in an expert to make sure everything was good. DR Horton fixed all the problems in a fairly timely manner and even cleaned the house after the repairs.

Three years later, we outgrew the house. We had a buyer and some issues came up with the inspection. I called DR Horton and was put in touch with Brian and Micheal. They again came out that next day. DR Horton really cared that an issue came up on the inspection report and made it right! When I would call either one of them they answered or got back to me that same day. They kept me in the loop and saved me from losing my sale. Defects do happen in construction, but DR Horton didn’t run from them or try and weasel their way out of it. They were true to their word and made it right.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I own a neighboring property (Gulliver Oaks Fountain Inn, SC) and watched DR Horton come in and tear out 15 acres of woodland... not one tree was left. Not my property so I just needed to accept this. The problem is, during building they have blocked all of the storm drains and now not only is my property flooding, it is destroying my fence. I tried calling the number on the sign for the subdivision and no one answered and there is no voicemail set up. I intend to go to their sales office tomorrow to see how they propose to remedy this problem.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Mart. Email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your contact information and address and we will help you speak with the right people about your concern.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I loved the layout of my new home when we built less than 3 years ago! However I had to grow used to not having any cable outlets upstairs and only having them in the master bedroom and downstairs living room... How hard is it to add cable wires while the wall is open? Then the fridge that came with the home broke, twice, in the first year. And the circuit trips if the tv is on while using the outside plug. Hmmm, sounds like DR Horton went cheap on wiring as well as appliances. Ok.

Now my home is less than 3 years old and the roof is leaking. It hardly ever rains in SA so it isn't easy to figure out you have a cheaply made roof. There appears to be no damage, it is just leaking due to bad work. But DR Horton says the shingles have a 25 yr warranty, unfortunately the roof only had 1 year + 1 extra year of repairs only (will not cover the cost of damages). So they refuse to even send someone to look at the roof and determine for sure it isn't covered under warranty. They don't care that the house is still so new that this looks bad on them. No one should have roof leaks on a home less than 3 years old. It only took 3 years to determine you all did a terrible building job because it hardly ever rains here! I do NOT recommend DR Horton Homes. Apparently they build cheap and do not care to help you when it falls apart. They won't even come look to ensure it isn't a warranty covered issue, let alone fix their poor craftsmanship.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Two days after our new home closed escrow, there was an article in the newspaper disclosing that the water is polluted in our subdivision! It was never disclosed to us by DR Horton or the water company. The article said it has been known for 2 years that the water was polluted. My husband & I are sick over this - our home value just plummeted.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Joyce. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your contact information and address so we can research this.

Original review: July 15, 2018

If you decide to buy from this company get a home inspection before closing. They wasted 7 months of our time only to build a house with poor workmanship and poor quality. Thank goodness we had the good sense to get a home inspection done before closing and was told by the inspector that he had never seen such poor workmanship in new construction and to use due diligence on the purchase of this home. We were told go ahead and close by the construction supervisor and also their preferred lender. We did not buy our dream home and would never recommend this company to anyone. I don't see how they stay in business but they didn't get ours. Buyer Beware.

Original review: July 14, 2018

We are Homebuyers for DR Horton’s Centre Pointe Traditions plan in Milpitas. Let me start by saying that after this house is closed I never plan to buy a home from DR Horton again nor will I ever recommend it to other buyers. In-fact I will educate other people to not buy a house with DR Horton. I had high respect for DR Horton brand name but over a course of 2 months that has changed completely. Below are the reasons for my change in view for the DR HORTON.

I bought a house in July 2017 by putting down 3% with an expectation that the home will be ready by Feb/March 2018. Due to several reasons the Closing has been postpone & now it's August 2018. I have been co-operative during the entire postponing process but recently I learned in the month of June that there is major change to the elevation of my unit primarily the balcony. This change affects aesthetics, look, wind, air, basically everything. As home buyers me & my wife kept asking the Sales team if there were any change to the floor plan or elevation since last June but every time they came back saying there were no changes. Now when we confronted them we found that how unorganized they have been in terms of sharing information & doing the job with diligence. Below are the reasons & comments from the Sales team over this entire process.

Sales team didn’t know that the changes to elevation are coming because the back office didn’t inform them until June. But we kept asking them from our side if there were any changes, they should have done their due diligence in finding this. But obviously they failed to do this. They shared 3 different elevations plans & every time we prove them that it was incorrect they would come back saying elevation plans are for illustration purposes only.

There was a change in floor plan but Sales team kept saying this is not a floor plan change. I think they should educate themselves in what is part of a floor plan given they are in this line of work. Whenever they didn’t have any answers they would hide behind the paperwork saying as per contract Builder is not responsible for informing buyers about changes. To my surprise the builder is responsible for sharing changes in a timely manner but the sales team says they are not. We received this information after neatly 8 months.

Sales justifies 3 different incorrect elevation plans to following reasons: Copying incorrect background. Not having modified the version or sharing older version. These are for illustration purposes only. Sales team keeps telling us that other buyers had to issue with the change but they wont provide any proof to support that. In a way showing favoritism to others because they won't speak up. By the documents that I have received it clearly shows that the elevation plans were modified in November 2017 but they didn’t tell us until June 2018. In a way failing to share information.

Sales team kept saying there have been numerous changes on this property but failed to keep a check on this & inform buyers in a timely manner. In a way keeping us in dark so we don’t back out of our purchase & then informing us at the 11th hour so either we will back out or will accept changes without any accountability. Obviously now they will profit in either case because if I back out they can sell the house at higher price.

Overall the message from Sales team has been that they don’t care about the home buyers. We were often told to back off from the purchase since we don’t like the change to elevation but they never held accountability for not doing their due diligence in this matter. We have exchanged several emails within the last 6 weeks & I can provide those as reference showing how Sales team goes around the bush by not answering specific questions. They are very arrogant & don’t want to hold any responsibility for their mistakes.

My questions to DR Horton is very basic. WHY ME? WHY are you punishing me for your mistakes? Is there no accountability & is a good customer service to not inform the buyers of the changes. Being an individual I don’t have resources to fight a corporation but I will do everything in my power to spread awareness on this overall process to as many people as possible, so nobody else experiences what I have! I am sending this out to as many people as possible that I will find contacts for at DR Horton hoping someone is genuine enough to do right by us. But honestly I don’t have any hopes.

Original review: July 14, 2018

DR Horton doesn't give a hot damn about you, after selling you, your home. I've lived in my home for less than a year and had to call home warranty at least 5 times already for different reasons. I've been asking them to come repair my fence ever since May and we're in the middle of July and it's still not fixed. Greg with DR Horton came out to look at all the half done work back in mid May and agreed that my fence needed to be repaired. However he hasn't returned nor has anyone came to fix my fence. If it was done right the first time, we wouldn't have these issues. They half ** threw our homes together and don't want to fix the repairs. I wouldn't recommend DR Horton to anyone!

Original review: July 12, 2018

We purchased a new home after building it with DR Horton in December 2017. This is our fourth new home, and the best experience that we’ve ever had!! The people at the office that we have worked with Emmy, Broady, Chad, have been amazing!! We are thrilled to death with not only the home quality, but the customer service since the purchase!! Thank you DR Horton!

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you for your comments Robin. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your address so we can share your comments with the team in your area.

Not sure about DR Horton Homes?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Home Builders and Developers for you.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information

1978
    1341 Horton Circle
    Arlington
    TX
    817-390-8200
    www.drhorton.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business