1.38/5

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

827 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Purchased a brand new built from DR Horton within the gated community called "FALLBROOK PLACE" in West Hills, California. Upon moved in, the city trash cans (black, blue and green containers) do not fit thru the only gate to the back yard. The reason: DR Horton builder installed the gas meter and a white water pipe sticking out 19 inches from the wall, leaving only a 21 inch clearance passageway. This is a fire code violation! DR Horton has repeatedly ignored my many requests to address this issue.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We bought our DR Horton home in River Rock subdividing in Boiling Springs SC in November 2017. We knew going in some of the materials were not going to be stellar but our requests to upgrade...at our expense were denied as the home was already “spec’d out”. Little did we know it was only the tip of the iceberg of cheap. All light fixtures were 2/20 at Lowe’s. Stove was $500 at Lowe’s and Dishwasher/microwave just as cheap. I figured those types of things could be replaced. The hardwood I thought was reasonable grade however within 30 days we realized too late it was as low quality as everything else. The cabinets are thin and made of cheap material and they dent/scratch terribly. That was bad enough but the main complaint is the cheap workmanship.

The Sheetrock work is terrible. There are lines and cracks everywhere. Many places weren’t even painted. Several walls are crooked and the baseboard in the master bath is bowed. The ceramic tile developed a large crack within the first 2 months of us being here. My husband and I are the only ones living here and we are in our late 40s and are neat freaks. I cannot imagine how horrible these houses look if there is a young active family living in them. The concrete was the cheapest grade (verified) and every driveway/porch in this subdivision is already cracking significantly. Of course with the warranty you have to wait until the 12 month mark to have anything fixed (unless it’s unsafe)...that is to prevent them from having to fix it more than once.

I realized as we watched all the other homes being built DR Horton bought mass quantities of the cheapest materials and placed it in these homes. All the floors are the same as are the appliances. The paint is even the same color (agreeable grey) in every house. When the repairs were scheduled there were 4 times my husband stayed at home all day and no one showed up. It is now blatantly obvious how DR Horton affords to pay 5k in closing costs and offer “incentives” such as appliances or blinds or whatever the flavor of the month is. When I went back and looked at the breakdown of the home costs the appliances/fixtures/flooring far exceeded the actual cost of the actual material installed. They have such a huge profit margin due to the poor quality materials/workmanship that will end up costing you way more than 5k to rectify. Did I mention the siding statues falling off and warping within a year??

The only positive is the plan. It’s a good plan and utilizes all the space well. I would certainly build this plan but never again with DR Horton. We are going to place the home on the market as soon as we can hopefully at least break even in getting our down payment back in the sale. We are seriously concerned about the ability to re-sale given all the issues if we don’t sink money into it to upgrade. (The carpet in the master bedroom is already almost bald from 2 people walking the path to the master bath on a daily basis.) I would highly advise anyone considering a DR Horton home to do your homework and think twice. The closing cost and other incentives are appealing up front but you don't realize until it is too late why they can do that and that it’s not nearly enough for what you get, especially in a $240k home.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Amanda. Please email us with your address and contact information so we can review your concerns.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My wife and I bought a DR Horton home in Illinois and it was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made. I heard of the problems but hoped I’d get lucky. We didn’t. Bad drywall work, painting, every single thing in the house is the absolute cheapest version of whatever it is, right down to the sod they put in the yard. Our master bedroom ceiling has cracks all around the room where the walls meet the ceiling. Outside spigots replaced once already because originals failed and were recalled. The new ones are even worse. BEWARE OF CPVC PIPING!

Our house sounds like a creeping ship when hot water runs through the pipes. I could go on and on. The key to remember is that everything is done the cheapest way possible. That means for materials and the people doing it. Believe every bad thing you hear and know that it will happen to you. And their customer service is terrible. Our local superintendent just tells everyone that everything is normal. Pipes loud? That’s normal. Ceiling cracks? That’s normal. Unicorn crawled out of the bathtub drain? That’s normal. Don’t buy a house built by these people. You will regret it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

We had $20,000 deposit and $5816 for upgrade with DR Horton for sale of a house at the reserve. We could not get our loan to buy the house. They had us to sign 1 document to return our $20,000 deposit but to keep $5816. Essentially, they were saying, "If you want your deposit back you have to give us the $5816." We had no choice but to sign. Now that we want the rest of our money they are saying, "You signed."

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My wife and I purchased a new 3500 square ft home from DR Horton in NC. One year warranty review was started, but has not been completed. I was told that I had to resubmit another claim. The house has a few outside issues with paint coming off. That has not been addressed and I understand it has been cold. Upstairs window leak was addressed, but it looks like it's still leaking. Kitchen faucet issue again. Kitchen trim paint coming off was never addressed. The heat and air guys never showed up about an issue with the downstairs bedroom not seeming to be balanced. The issue with air blowing in around the front door was never addressed properly. The hardwood flooring was loose at the front door. It was fixed but now has caused an issue with the front door locking mechanism... I've already started fixing some of the issues that were created from the repairs. We are going to have a mold testing company come out.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Brian. Please email us with your name, address, city and state so we can better assist you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I closed on and moved into a DR Horton Express home in June 2018. Almost immediately, there with issues with door hinges, door locks, electrical wiring, improper installation, particularly the back sliding glass door. In 7 months, this is my fourth warranty request (two in writing, once the builder dropped by and saw it for himself, once was an emergency during business hours but customer service would not pick up the phone or return a timely message) for the same things. Customer service is not very nice or helpful. They seem bothered by a request for them to do their jobs.

These homes look nice and they're easy to qualify for but the quality is sub-par and they are thrown together way too quickly. They're constantly sending customer satisfaction surveys and expecting the best reviews on inadequate work. It has not been a good experience when something always seems to be wrong. I am currently awaiting word on my latest warranty request, as the pantry and back sliding screen doors both collapsed unexpectedly and are completely off the frames. The sales and mortgage teams were great but buyer beware of customer service and warranty departments.

Hello Malissa

Thank you for sharing your experience. We have escalated your concerns to the Jacksonville management team for their review and action.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We have been in our home for less than six months and at first, when we submitted our 30-day punch list everything was taken care of promptly and to our satisfaction. Since we are now past 30 days, we have to submit claims via the warranty program/website. I have submitted a total of seven submissions, the oldest one is from December 12, 2018, and still have not received a single response. I have sent two submissions asking that someone contact me to discuss my submissions and again no response. I reached out to Customer Service via email form, email submission, and phone and again no response. I am truly disappointed and dissatisfied with the lack of customer service/response that I have received in regards to my warranty submissions. I am rating this issue and not the company overall.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Dina - we replied to you email within 10 minutes of receiving it this morning. Our team in NJ has received your inquiry and it is in queue to be worked as quickly as possible.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

In June 2018, my husband and I decided to purchase a DR Horton Express Home in Las Vegas. We went through the pre-qualification process with our lender, Navy Federal (we would be using my VA certificate) and (at the recommendation of the builder agent John **) we pre-qualified with DHI Mortgage, DR Horton's mortgage company for comparison. Both loans were VA so for us it was a matter of comparing fees. In the end sticking with Navy Federal was the best choice for us. After going through the loan pre-qual processes we decided on a home and left our deposit.

A few months later (September) it was time to sign our contract and move forward. We went in on a Saturday, sat with John for a few hours, signed our contract and went on our way. The following Monday our lender agent at Navy Federal contacted John for the ratified contract. That is where everything fell apart. John refused to send our contract to our lender saying that the lender didn't need it to process the loan, (what?) and continued to refuse to send the contract until we agreed to do a good faith comparison between DR Horton's lender "for our own good."

And despite the number of times (from June to contract signing) we said we were using Navy Federal as our lender John was having no part of that decision. Our contract was essentially held hostage until we agreed to contact DHI Mortgage, and our agent at Navy Federal finally said to just do the comparison to get the contract sent over. We did the comparison, the fees were still higher, and now that we'd wasted so much time our interest rate had gone up. At this point our lender agent spent a few more weeks trying to get a copy of our contract to no avail. John kept saying Navy Federal didn't need a copy of the contract, and "this isn't my first rodeo." Etc, until FINALLY (6 weeks later) John agreed to send our contract to Navy Federal.

It was then that we learned two things: 1) our interest rate had gone up again, and 2) John had added DHI Mortgage as our lender AFTER we had signed the contract. We DID NOT agree to anything with DHI Mortgage. It was at this point that we began contacting DR Horton's sales director, Shirley **, for help. It is now January and we're still waiting for her to respond. After five unreturned calls to DR Horton I finally filed a complaint against John ** with the Nevada Real Estate Commission (still pending), the NV State Attorney General (still pending) and sent a certified complaint letter to Shirley ** canceling our contract.

To date: Our contract was canceled and our deposit was returned, the state complaints are still pending, and the only person at DR Horton who contacted us to discuss the situation was a DR Horton attorney. It is crystal clear that our business meant absolutely nothing to DR Horton and they obviously aren't concerned with reviews or someone other than an attorney would have contacted my husband or I to see if anything could be done to resolve the problems we had. In the end I can't tell you if your experience with DR Horton or John ** would be as bad as ours, but I can tell anyone looking at purchasing with DR Horton to be sure to read the reviews before moving forward. We did not and it almost cost us a fortune.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
    Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We purchased over a year ago and within a week of moving in the carpet in the master bedroom came up at the doorway. After multiple warranty claims they sent the carpet installers out and he verified that the carpet was improperly installed and needed to be replaced. Weeks turn into months with no repairs/replacement. Finally I contact Horton and am told that they will not be repairing or replacing the carpet. Now we are stuck with substandard craftsmanship.

We also found that there was absolutely NO insulation over the upstairs bedrooms which took several claims and phone calls to rectify. I recently went over the garage into the "attic" storage space and it looks like there is no insulation over the front bedroom as well - just submitted a claim for this tonight. Just overall bad craftsmanship and very bad at repairing/fixing items that should be covered under a home warranty. I will gladly pay extra in the future for a Bill Clark or Level home - I will never purchase nor recommend to anyone looking to buy from DR Horton.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning Tim. We have escalated your concerns to our Wilmington office for their review and action.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My husband and I read all of the bad reviews and thought for some reason we would have a better experience since we where present from the beginning of the build. We thought wrong, I wish we would have ran. We had a major leak in the house 8 weeks after we moved in. Flooring had to be replaced, insulation, cabinets, sheetrock and trim.

We were guaranteed the work would be done by Thanksgiving but we are now into the new year and are still sitting in the middle of repairs. The warranty department will not return my calls or emails and we are at a loss for what to do next. On top of that we have yet to have our 30 day walk through to fix things that did not get done before closing. (No, we should not have closed thinking they would finish after we moved in, however, we had to move in as we had nowhere else to go.) The stairs were not varnished and the trim work looks HORRIBLE! It looks like they painted all of the base trim with a dirty paintbrush. There is dirt and debris all over the trim paint.

We purchased an EMERALD Home, which is supposed to be top of the line but the workmanship looks like it was sloppily thrown together. We live in West Lakes at Cane Bay and the Homes range from the high 300's to 500,000 dollars. Almost all of the homeowners are experiencing the same issues, I'm starting to hear the rumblings of a lawsuit around the community. Do yourself a huge favor and look at a different builder. It is so bad I am ready to start putting up signs in the yard warning buyers to look elsewhere.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Rebecca. Please email us with your full name, address and telephone number so we can better assist you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I purchased a new DR Horton express home. Within 2 months I had a warranty issue for the flooring x2, plumbing x2, and electrical. I even had a leak that caused property damage and they refused to replace the property. Dealing with them has been a nightmare. The homes are put together so quickly it’s actually scary. These are not quality homes. Do not purchase if you intend to stay in the home more than a year.

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Frances - please email us with your full name, address and telephone number so we can assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Contract stated that we would receive our money back within 45 days as our financing wouldn't go through. We are still waiting for our money to be returned and are now being ignored when we try to get info. This is the worst most unethical company I have ever dealt with and will never recommend them for anything.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Phillip. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your full name and contact information as well as the address, city and state of the property you had under contract. This will provide us with the information we need to be able to assist you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

My wife and I truly regret the day we decided to have DRH build our home here in Central FL. I suggest and strongly recommend all home buyers not to deal and or buy a home from this builder. We have had the worst experience and issues that I would not suggest anyone goes thru. 2 months after closing the entire back wall had to be remolded due to mold, light switches that lead to nothing, uneven walls, water leak in garage, fan boxes that needed to be tightened, wall outlets that literally were coming out of walls when I plugged something in and pull the cord back out, found live electrical wires behind wall. To this date, I still have the garage water leak and it’s not repaired. Most of the issues I found myself repairing because of the lack of communication and time it takes them to even respond if you are lucky. Please stay away from their homes if you want to be happy.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

My husband and I found the Oakcreek Trails addition in Ft. Worth, TX in March 2018. We were told that there was a new phase being started and homes would start being built in May. We submitted an application online March 22, 2018. We received a pre-qualification shortly after. We kept checking the status of lots being released for 3 months. Finally in late June the lots were released. We picked a lot and gave our $2,000 earnest money. The said we needed to go through their home buyer's program to get our credit scores up, so we did. Their "home buyer's program" checked our credit every other month May-September" only to ding our credit. They did nothing with our credit during that time.

My husband and I paid our payments on-time which brought our score up, of course. The building process started in October, yes October after submitting an application in March. The builder gave us an estimated closing date of February 28th, 2019. As of today, December 23, 2018, DHI Mortgage has not verified income, requested identification, or anything. We submitted the request to my husband's 401k company to withdraw funds for closing and down payment only for his 401k company to tell us that we can't qualify for that amount of mortgage due to the majority of my husband's income being overtime. More than half of his income is overtime. Once I mentioned this to the mortgage loan originator he decided to ask for proof of income and became beyond rude.

At this all DR Horton has on us is an application and our $2,000 earnest money which they are refusing to return. Their mortgage company dropped the ball 9 months ago when they didn't request proof of income. Had they requested that we would have provided that and would not have given them the $2,000 earnest money knowing that we could not get approved. Now our lease is up in 4 weeks and we have to figure something out with short notice. I do not recommend dealing with company. I can see why they have the negative reviews that they do.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

We have been in our home in Alabama since August 2018. Since then we have dealt with ant invasions that the company claimed they were unable to fix. Our floorboards and floors had large gaps in them and ant were crawling into our home through those gaps. We complained twice and they informed us that there was nothing that could be done because our home was built so fast.

When we chose the lot for our home, the agent told us the lot next to us would be empty (this was a deciding factor in our lot choice). The individual that came to look at the ant issue also said the lot would be empty because they didn’t have a floor plan for that sized lot. Well now there is a home on that lot and we have had to deal with builders parking in front of our home and blocking our driveway before 6:30 am. It has been a total disrespect for our space; from having to replace numerous tires because of roofing nails that are all over the street, to loud music playing all day long, and trash in our yard.

More recently, we have noticed cracks in our ceilings. Some of the cracks are several inches long and a beam is shifting in the ceiling of our kitchen and is very noticeable. After filing a complaint, I was contacted by an area manager and was told that he would be emailing me to confirm/schedule a meeting. Unfortunately I have not received that email. DR Horton is more concerned with the mass production of poorly built homes than customer satisfaction. This was our first home and I honestly dread seeing this place every day, simply because of how horrible it looks and how many issues we have had in such a short period of time.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

My husband, son and I moved into our new home in January 2018 on Little Elm TX. In June we realized that on the side of our home was a huge water mud puddle. We immediately reported this issue to the warranty department. Someone responded within the next few weeks, only to send someone out to lay siding and leave a card on outer door with no explanation. Waited to see if this would work. It didn't. It was mid August and we could not water our grass, on the side because the puddle was now a mud pile. My husband reached back out to the warranty department and they came back out after we advised them that our pest control company recommended french drains.

Our pest control company stated that this would be the only thing that would remedy the issue. We have dealt with mosquitoes, bugs and we have not been able to enjoy our backyard. They declined our request. So at this point I was furious! I reached out again closer to Thanksgiving and spoke with Steve and he stated that he would give me a callback because he felt as though our property needed to be looked over. I gave him until after Thanksgiving. It is now December and I had not heard anything. I called 3 times and left a message with his useless assistant.

He never returned my call and finally had her to send me an email to state that our request for french drains had been declined. The reason she listed was because our neighbor had a broken sprinkler and there had been overwatering. Completely unacceptable, first off my Neighbor has nothing to do with me and this was just now being mentioned almost 1 year later! I would never send anyone to purchase from DR Horton Homes. I am not done with this situation and I will be contacting my attorney and the local news station!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

In October, 2018, we were thinking about buying a D.R. Horton home in Hampton Creek Landing in Spring, TX. After a discussion with the sales agents, we were told our deposit would be refundable if we decided not to proceed with the deal. On November 19, 2018, we did in fact decided we could not afford the new home and advised the agents as such. Today, it is December 19th and we still have not received our deposit back yet. If anyone is considering buying from D.R. Horton, be leery of their practices!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Very bad experience with new development DR Horton Santa Rosa Subdivision, Maricopa AZ. We purchased a new build. Be here only 4 months. My granite counter top had a long scratch, kitchen and bathrooms cabinets dented/scratched, unfinished work/paint. Dents in closet doors, garage door rattling and making popping noise. When it rains comes through the bedroom windows along with wind and dirt, bedroom and other room doors not sealed or closing properly. A/C sounds like a train, chipped cement up the driveway. Did walk thru, He wrote down and marked the repairs with blue masking tape. He assured us by in 2 weeks, when we closed and got the keys all repairs would be completed. Well we moved in and nada.

Called customer service to put in a repair request and they came out only to fix garage door. Seal around front door. Everything else not covered. WHAT? Any who. We have been in the house 4 months. Still got dents in cabinets, air coming thru windows, unfinished paint, A/C loud, but now we have cracks and Drywall coming apart from the wall and ceiling, drywall nails showing. Stucco around entire house cracking, grout coming loose from the base board. I have never seen anything like this. It looks like my 5 yr old grandchild built this house. Very poor workmanship/quality. This house need to be bulldozed to the foundation and start over right. I wish I never purchased with DR Horton. I would never recommend. On thinking about going to the BBB and local TV news if this is not corrected soon. We will See. I am a very unhappy new home owner.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Tonya. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can research your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Good Afternoon. I purchased a newly constructed inventory house from a builder, DR Horton in Lakeland, FL on December 21, 2017. After addressing poor construction/maintenance issues: Appliances such as a refrigerator that needed to be replaced after 4-5 service calls, an inoperative dishwasher, dryer problems, I am still having problems with the A/C unit. It does not cool the Master Bedroom/Bath/Clothes Closet in the back of the house. The A/C company has been out 6 times and only got the blower to cool around the actual bed only. The rest of that area is like living in an "oven". They do not respond anymore for help (I live in Central FL - the heat during the summer is brutal). I was told that because the builder developed this subdivision on swampland, there is nothing that they can do about standing water in the backyard area due to non-percolating dirt issues.

My pet and I walk on wet, black muddy dirt & grass. The builder warranty & HOA contacts are now ignoring my plea for help. I have tan/brown wall stains on the MB shower above the tile that the construction mgr. cannot find a cause. They have sent a plumber who says that he cannot help. The painter that they sent found 2 holes on the 7 ft tall window sill ledge above the shower tile. I am 70 yrs old, 5'3 and cannot reach that height to take a picture with my phone of the holes that they are demanding before they will consider anyone to look at them. The HOA dues in my 55+ community includes lawn service that holds water.

The lawn maintenance mowers have broken a vintage/antique cast iron table to a 4 pc. set that I inherited from my deceased parents...who inherited from my mom's parents. The HOA will not replace or compensate for it. The global antique links of the exact furniture has them priced at $2,900 - $3,100 for the 4 pc. I gave them a price of $500 - $600 for the table. After taking a picture to a local antique dealer appraiser, Lloyds of Lakeland Antiques (who does not carry that set with the table), the appraiser said that the table may be priced at minimum $200 just in the Lakeland area. The lawn mowers have also broken another lawn ornament. The builder selects and provides the lawn service company, but has told me that I should go after the lawn service direct...!!!

I would like for the builder/HOA to compensate me for my loss after THEY use their lawn service's insurance for loss. If I could highlight/boldface my main issues, it would be the A/C problems that the warranty should provide a DIFFERENT & REPUTABLE A/C company, and the COMPENSATION BY THE BUILDER/HOA for their vendor's personal property destruction. What do you suggest?

I cannot afford attorney fees/hour. However, the first 5-6 residents in our 55+ gated section of this side of the initial stage up to 700 expected homes that were first built August, 2017 sought legal advice due to unscrupulous/fraudulent misquoting of HOA dues that was significantly expected to increase this year. It was my intention during the last two weeks to sell and move from this community, however the company is lowering the prices of our houses during the last 10 closings of the existing 24 occupied homes. I cannot afford to take a $20,000 or more "hit" on price that I paid ($240k). I have to stay and fight for myself.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
    Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Bought a house in Village Grande in Glassboro NJ in Jan 2018. The HVAC unit for this house is not a good fit at all. In the summer it’s cold downstairs, hot upstairs. In the winter cold downstairs hot upstairs. They put another thermostat upstairs and there is a fan running all the time and problem not fixed and electric bill went up in cost. They refuse to make it right. Big mistake. Spent 350k. Complete disgrace.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning! Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can research your concern.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I purchased a so called brand new house and what a 30 years painful mistake on my part. This piece of junk new homes has given me nothing but a headache and misery from day one. House very cold in winter, draft coming from every inch of this house and very hot in summer. My water heater and garage door broke 2 times in 2 years and shingles coming off, walls cracked and doors coming off frame, plumbing and electric issues which had cost me a lot of money to get issues correctly and still having more issues on the house. Made multiple request to so called warranty department with no resolution. Please please do your self and family a huge favor. Stay far far away from this builder and their homes, otherwise you will be wasting your hard earned money and will pay for it your mistake next 30 year like me. Very very unhappy buyer.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My home is 2.5 years old and the brick and mortar is separating. I called DR Horton and all I got was copies of the so-called warranty. Because the crack did not show up within the 1-2 years, it's not covered.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I was excited to purchase my new DR Horton. So excited, I did not research the company thoroughly. My new home is less than 2 years old and I have cracks in my foundation. I have water in my basement and DR Horton has not responded to my emails. I understand, this past Spring/Summer my area received a record amount of rain. I also understand problems with DR Horton foundations have existed for many years. After a little research, I'm confident the fault lies with the developer.

I reviewed several complaints from my neighbors concerning similar problems. I even drove around the neighbor with "new" eyes. The problems are consistent with other reports from different parts of the country. There is definitely a quality problem with DR Horton Homes. The majority of my neighbors have decided to correct the problems out of pocket. I will follow suit. For anyone researching the company, please avoid purchasing a DR Horton home. Foundation problems are difficult to correct. I already corrected electrical and venting issues. Every home should at least have a good foundation.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Tanya - please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can research your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Fit and finish of our home is a travesty. Leaking roof that has been through one repair already and is still leaking. Concrete is cracking beyond the norm. Very unresponsive company. They don’t care!!!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Larry - we escalated your concerns this morning.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

The worst experience that I have ever experienced. They also rushed me thru the final inspection threatening not to close on time. None of the work was done for final but in order to close on time, I had to sign. They will not do anything and the report from my inspector calling it a joke. I will never use them again and selling in a couple of years. It's HORRIBLE!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Debbie. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can research and assist.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I've been a master plumber for 13 years and that's the only thing I was concerned about when they started my house. I was looking at several other new homes in the same subdivision and they were jackhammering to move plumbing into the walls. So I measured my pipes and they were off and some were not even flowing the right way. Addressed this to DR Horton before concrete was poured. Now concrete poured and they're going to have to jackhammer 7 pipes. I don't know where to go with this now.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Paul - please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with the address of your new home so we can research and address your concern.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Ok, so had my house built in 2014. Since then the ac outside has had to be replaced, the garage door opener had to be replaced, the carpet is wrinkling everywhere, nails from studs are coming out leaving holes in wall. There is a hole in bedroom floor above garage about 13 inches we have to step over, feels like wood is cracked, the sink faucet has had to be replaced, the outside paint molded in a year. Had someone come look at it and they said it was indoor paint that was used. We paid for all brick that is good, and all upgrades possible. Beautiful house just a lot of problems. Worried about the floor above garage.

This shouldn't happen to a brand new house. It's costing me a fortune to keep it up, because everything is falling apart. Almost every plug doesn't work. In room above garage we have a extension cord going into hallway. If you plug 4 things in it pops fuse. Also cracks all over walls, hose is only 3 years old, but this all happened in one year.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

We bought a brand new DR Horton home. It’s built as cheap as possible. Our big front window leaked from the outside into the inside before we bought it. After almost a year, they finally fixed it. Our concrete started crumbling before the first year. We had a 2 story home. Our beam that went above the garage started sagging and the drywall was cracking. The carpet was horrible. Their subcontractors are horrible. They switched superintendents more than I switch underwear! So trying to get stuff done was a joke! One super would say one thing, then they’d switch. The last super we had came out of the model home to talk to us with white crap on his nose!!! DR Horton is horrible. I could go on... Do NOT buy a DR Horton home!!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Buyer Experience Spring Hill, Florida - My husband and I placed a home under contract where construction had already started. It is my understanding that the home had only just recently been started. We will be moving from another state, so we are not able to monitor the build like we would like. I had requested that we be able have the same interior as the Destin model review on the website. We have been repeatedly told no, even after we stated that we would be willing to pay for the cost of exchanging the cabinets and the granite. We would like to get at least 2 of the things that are important to us in our forever home. I cannot understand why the builder is being so rigid and unwilling to compromise. Our realtor is unable to get any movement. Can someone from corporate please help. Thanks.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Norma. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your concerns. Please ensure to include your telephone number and the address / community where you are building.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

2018 built home. What can be said. This is a 3 month old home from scratch. Built with the poorest quality possible. Wrong screws used in racks and sliding door frame. Kitchen and bathroom cabinets cracked. Large CRACKS on exterior walls both sides of house. Lawn SOP unleveled, possible water intrusion (this came from an inspector). Tile cracking. A co-worker has a new home in a different sub-division. He and his next door neighbor are experiencing many non-conformances more severe than mine. They start these subdivisions with the goal of quantity or QUALITY. And we the consumer... home buyer are the victims of it.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Ron. Please email us at CorporateCustomerCare@drhorton.com with your name, address and telephone number so we can review your concerns and provide assistance.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information