Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

DR Horton Homes Reviews

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I would like to give a BIG shout out to Laura **, Sales Rep. and Willis **, Superintendent. From start to finish these guys did what it took to make my client's dream come true. Laura, thanks for showing us around and taking many hours in helping my client and myself from day one. Willis, thanks for always being there and getting the job done and taking care of whatever came up. Also, for showing lots of patience with my client. Again these two go over and beyond for their Co. D.R. Horton should feel mighty proud to have these two on the Team!

- Curt, Realtor

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you, Curt, for taking time to post your comments. We hope your clients have many very happy years in their new home.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Hi! I am hoping my post can help some one else on making a decision before doing business with DR Horton or anyone else. This is my first home purchase and I couldn’t be happier! My experience was truly a positive one and although things we not perfect but i will say my builder did everything he could in his power to fix anything that was not to my satisfaction in a timely fashion as possible! I purchased in Boardwalk subdivision in Lancaster, Texas. I purchased a model home and got a lot for my money. My best friend purchased her first home from DRHorton in Saganaw,Texas 2 yrs ago and is now purchasing her 2 home from them as well. I would recommend DRHorton to anyone who wants a great value for your hard earned dollars!

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Darlene! Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to have you as part of the D.R. Horton family and hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My boyfriend and I just purchased a home from DR Horton and absolutely LOVE it. Our sales rep was awesome and our builder was amazing during the first walk through. ALL our blue tape objects were fixed before the second walk through and they have been very responsive when it comes to smaller items being fixed in the house so far. The builder gave us his personal phone number to call or text if we had any problems or questions. The builder really made us feel that we were the only buyers even though they had sold 8 other homes that month and he should have been very busy.

Our house was a little pricier than the surrounding neighborhoods but with the customer service we have had and the people at D.R. Horton who made us feel special, it was a lovely experience. Not to mention the 1 year "bumper to bumper" warranty we have on the house in case we need any repairs done asap is AWESOME! We love the area and the backyard is WAY bigger than any other builder was offering in our price range. D.R. Horton takes into account that you don't want 10 ft of backyard and a neighbor so close you could open your window and touch their house. We have had an awesome experience so far and really love our little home.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Brittany! Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome to the D.R. Horton family. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Hi Everyone, My honest opinion is....that first building a home is stressful no matter who the builder is. This is my third house and hopefully my last but everyone expects a perfect house and me too! Some get the opportunity to see the whole process and others walk in one complete not knowing if it was done correct. I guarantee either will be. The problem is you have good and bad contractors that a builder hires. I have never seen a builder hire the most expensive bid and nether would you hire one. It’s all about profit like every American company. Sorry.

I am fortunate enough to know what to look for during the building process and I drive the supervisor crazy. It really comes down to a floor plan, price and location that you will like. My DR Horton Homes met this criteria on all three on two of the builds. I’m fortunate with relocating in different states they were here. All builders have these issues and it’s down to what you want. Just make sure the person in charge of building your house (supervisor) gets out of his truck and goes over the work they are doing than sitting on their phone all day and just cutting P.O.’s. If he seems that lazy then your house will look it. They need to keep on the quality and I felt my guy did his best. After one year now they came back with the contractors and repaired my floors and interior paint. I happy and that is all that matters. Do I see problems in the future. Maybe but if you have any house you will. That’s life. Hope this helps.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning, Bruce. Thank you for your comments. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This is the first home that I have ever purchased. I read the reviews online and saw that they were terrible, and I decided to continue with the purchase of my home with this builder. First, let's start with the "locating a home" process. I was too close to my apartment lease ending to have a home built from scratch, so I chose a model home. The sales representative, Nancy was very attentive and patient explaining everything. She was also very straight-forward (which I like). She showed me the home and explained the process of buying it. After we decided to move forward the the home, she drafted the contract and I read every single page (remember, I read the reviews so I didn't trust the builder). Again, Nancy was very patient and helpful.

When it came to finishing the model home, I was brought in for inspections and looked at the home several times. I wasn't able to choose my own colors and cabinetry because the far was too far along by that point, but I didn't mind. I used the DR Horton Financial company as a lender for the loan, and the representative Tiffany was very helpful. She answered every one of my calls, and always had an answer. If she didn't she got back to me promptly. The closing was not delayed, I was kept in the loop, and it was executed as planned.

On to the final walk-through inspection. This is the area where DR Horton has room for improvement. About 2 days prior to closing, the builder scheduled the initial and final walk-through. I was skeptical that things would be fixed in that time, but it was. It is important to note that all findings were cosmetic, and nothing major. I'm not a handyman, so I wouldn't be able to tell if something major was wrong anyway.

On the day of closing, everything went smooth and we purchased the home. There are still some things that need to be fixed (there is a dent in the garage door), but nothing major. The only thing that I noticed is that on my kitchen island, under the granite countertop, the builder did not install a piece of molding. Purely cosmetic, but still. The overall process went smooth.

**IMPORTANT**. If you take one thing from this review, take this. I hired my own inspector (cost about $300) to inspect the entire home for anything that is wrong. Even though it is a new home, you never know what might be wrong so hire a professional to look at the home for you. Don't let anyone tell you not to have an inspection simply because the home is new -- my inspector DID find some discrepancies.

Also, FINAL IMPORTANT NOTE. Hire a real estate agent. They are your advocate and when things aren't going your way, it is good to have someone fighting on your side. DR Horton paid my real estate agent's fees, I think this is something they regularly do. The inspection that I paid for and my real estate agent were my two biggest reliefs when it came to this process. I used the VA loan because I am a veteran. I say this because I'm not sure if this affected any portion of my home-buying process differently than someone else.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Joel. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton and thank you for your service. We hope that you enjoy your new home for many years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Entrada Homeowner - What you need to know: First, I want to say I like my home, and I wish I knew the following before I bought it. So I thought it necessary to let others know about critical information regarding purchasing a home here. Sales: Anthony **: He's a wonderful person. He's treated us very well before and after the sale of our home. I strongly recommend him, if he's not in when you're looking for information, get his cell phone number and call him, he's very excellent.

Kevin **: DO NOT use him. He's embodies everything people dislike about a salesperson. I'm genuinely amazed he's still there. Kevin is an entirely different person after he sells you a home. He was verbally aggressive and rude with simple requests we had when Anthony wasn't available. He's not respected and disliked by many in the Entrada community. The Building Supervisor: Mike ** - He's overworked and has very poor follow up skills. I like him as a person, he's salt of the earth, but he's burnt out and doesn't have the support he needs..

Those that built your home:

- DR Horton does NOT build your house, local subcontractors so.
      - Some homes are built well, with qualified contractors, some are not. It's definitely a gamble, and each contractor/build has subcontractors.
      - MANY contractors work on your home build, from the plumbing to the pavers in your driveway.

- We had many problems with our home and was shocked at the quality of the material used. You don't notice it till you move in and discover that the windows are generic, down to the light fixtures and kitchen sink that are cheap junk.

Warranty: Excellent people, Terry has been fantastic. Read your warranties carefully. HOA: I don't mind HOA's, but in Entrada, my wife can't even plant a flower in our yard without "signed" approval form. The regulations are brutal. Currently, DR Horton is running the HOA, not the residents, until the rest of the community is completed. The HOA person is about as bad as it gets; her attitude is offensive.

"Gated community": The gates are for looks here; people can quickly drive through the gate after you pull through. It's also not gated; there's gates on the front, but around the community are bushes for a barrier. DR Horton fixes both gates regularly because they used an inferior system. So, often when you pull up, you can't get in; you have to drive to the other entrance and hope that the gate is working. There are many other problems, but this should give you enough info to make a decision. My advice, don't let the community center and the brand new homes sway you. Take your time when choosing a home. I wish I would have.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I have not been in my home for 2 years and I have had a multitude of problems. My front yard was dug up twice because D.R Hortons builders kept cutting the wrong lines and unfortunately my house took the hit. The tree where the yard was dug up no longer grows because I’m sure it was uprooted. I also have 3 sinkholes around my home. This started right after I bought my home. I called multiple times and when DR Horton would respond they would send someone out and they would throw sand or rocks on top of it and it would be gone by the next week. I should not have to be going through this in a new home. I contacted my attorney last week.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I just moved into this house and upon cleaning and painting I discovered the walls were bowed and rooms were not square. I can't believe what crappy workmanship went into this home. Putting a square into the corners, not many corners were square. The backsplash on sink in my bathroom doesn't line up either. ]I don't understand how a builder can sell a house with this quality of work. Doesn't anyone have pride any more in their work. I will make sure I post this on Facebook so people know to stay away from this builder as they don't care what kind of homes they sell. Truly disappointed in my new homes construction.

Sandi

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I purchased my home from DR Horton in September 2017. My neighbors moved in a few months later. I received HOA approval for the same standard white vinyl fence that many other DR Horton homes have in my subdivision. DR Horton has convinced my neighbors that my fence is the reason they have improper grading and standing water in their backyard since the summer of 2018. I also have the same water problem in my backyard. Based on untruthful information about my fence from DR Horton, specifically their project supervisor Richard **, the neighbors are now demanding that I pay to have their yard graded correctly to repair their water problem. Mr. ** informed me that it will cost DR Horton $1,200.00 to regrade the neighbor's yard. However, Mr. ** told me that DR Horton does not want to pay because they would have to take the money from the budget of a "new home" to repair an "old home."

My neighbors also reported me to Charles County twice, in December 2018 and December 2019. The county stated in writing that I am not in violation of any county ordinances. Furthermore, the county also stated in writing that lots J30 and J31 (my lot and the neighbor's lot) both appear to have grading issues. The county requested several times that DR Horton repair the grading in both lots but they have refused to do so. It is outrageous and probably illegal to tell my neighbors that I am responsible for their yard grading errors. I am a DR Horton customer who in good faith purchased a $450K home. I am not their engineer. DR Horton needs to act responsibly and and fix this problem!! I will not allow them to use my fence as a scapegoat. THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE! My research shows that there are many DR Horton homes around the country with standing water in the backyards.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

DR Horton sales people lie. When we purchased our home in Woodfield Preserve in DE. in March of 2019 the DR Horton Sales rep told us we would have an unobstructed view of the pond across the street from our house. After we moved in a sewer pumping station and dumpster screen were built across from our house. DR Horton's response to our numerous complaints is that the sales rep didn't know it was going to be built there. Sorry! Don't buy from this company.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information