Find a Home Builders partner

D.R. Horton Homes

1.3/5 (82 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

Pros

• Energy-efficient
  • Smart home devices
  • Move-in ready
  • Financing available

Cons

• No customization
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

D.R. Horton Homes are ideal for buyers who are ready to purchase but don’t want the hassle of customizing features. D.R. Horton offers energy-efficient features and smart home functionality.

Top D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Verified

My experience was phenomenal. It started off with our sales Rep Dosia T, she was awesome. Always available even on her day off. Love love her excellent customer service. Highly re...

Verified

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR ...

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

What is D.R. Horton?

D.R. Horton Homes are available in a variety of floor plans, sizes and styles. To visualize the design and amenities offered by D.R. Horton, visit a model home or tour a finished community. You can schedule in-person visits to a model home during listed business hours, and newly finished houses can be scheduled for viewing directly from the digital listing on the D.R. Horton website.

Characteristics and features of D.R. Horton’s homes include:

• Open floor plans
  • State-of-the-art appliances
  • Energy-efficiency
  • Integrated geofencing technology
  • Multiplatform wireless network
  • One-wire connectivity
  • Hands-free communication.

You can access all functions of the home’s smart devices on the Qolsys IQ Panel, which allows you to use a variety of smart device products from one central location. From the Qolsys IQ Panel, you can adjust the thermostat, set the alarm, lock and unlock doors and set lights on a timer.

D.R. Horton closing costs and home prices

Prices of D.R. Horton homes vary based on the location, floor plan, size and style of the home selected. Most listings do not include closing costs or any related fees, so the price listed may not be 100% accurate. To determine an estimated mortgage payment you can afford, use the mortgage calculator on D.R. Horton’s website. Financing and insurance are available through affiliates of D.R. Horton Homes.

dr horton homes house

Photo (c) D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes FAQ

What is included in a D.R. Horton home?
A home built by D.R. Horton features energy-efficient construction, integrated geofencing technology, a multiplatform wireless network, one-wire connectivity and hands-free communication. These features are powered by the Qolsys IQ panel. The panel is compatible with a Honeywell thermostat, Amazon Echo Dot, Kwikset Smartcode and Skybell. Some features may be unavailable in Hawaii.
Are D.R. Horton Homes efficient?
D.R. Horton uses energy-efficient roofing materials, siding, windows, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. Every D.R. Horton home features at least one appliance or product with an EnergyStar designation.
Do D.R. Horton Homes come with appliances?
Yes. D.R. Horton homes include Whirlpool appliances.
Will D.R. Horton negotiate prices?
The company is open to negotiation with any buyer. When negotiating pricing, consider using D.R. Horton’s immediate inventory and preferred vendors. You may receive a lower price.
What is a D.R. Horton smart home?
D.R. Horton smart homes are equipped with alarms, smart thermostats, wireless interior lighting controls, electronic deadbolts and smart video doorbells.

Is D.R. Horton a good builder?

D.R. Horton can be a good choice for buyers who want a move-in ready home that doesn’t require any remodeling. While D.R. Horton is a reputable company, it’s essential to vet the builder and conduct an appraisal. We like the affordability, convenience and capabilities offered by the company, so if the price works for you and you find a design and floor plan that suits your needs, we recommend D.R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: April 1, 2021

My client worked with LaTonya ** on the purchase of a new home in Crystal Valley, Castle Rock, CO. It's a fabulous community and D.R.Horton offered much more for the dollar than many of the other builders. My client got a beautiful home with many included upgrades and LaTonya walked him through every step and answered all of his many, many questions. She was thoroughly professional and a delight to work with. The project superintendent was Greg and he made sure the home was built right and that all of the small details that are left at the end were taken care of before they closed. Great group of employees- Keep up the good work D. R. Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Jill! Thank you for taking time to share your and your client's experience with our team in Castle Rock. We hope your client has many happy years in their new home.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

ALL GOOD with our 2yr old home. I feel the first owner was on a shake down cruise!!! I grew up in a 12,000 sq footer!! This is a beautiful home and smart! You can find something wrong with a perfect baby of diamond. I suppose I know what's quality. Wife and I love it to be perfectly honest!! So choose location and ground!! It's on and maybe got lucky and the workers are in tune etc. You can complain about a perfect weather day,,,,anytime.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

In reading some of the negative reviews for DR Horton I was compelled to write about my own experience. My husband and I purchased a home in the Landing at Rocklyn in Clemmons, NC. We have been in our new home for about 2 months and are loving it. From the day we walked into the sales office and met Maria we were sure this was the builder for us. She was nice, knowledgeable, and very approachable. She showed us several homes and never once pressured us to buy. She answered any questions we had very quickly and followed up with us. We had to change our closing date twice due to unforeseen complications with the selling of our home.

Both times I contacted Connie at DR Horton in the mortgage department and she changed the dates with no problem. We also cannot say enough about the construction manager Robbie. We had our new home inspected (which was their suggestion) before we closed and he found a few small problems (which I think they have to). Robbie fixed them with no questions asked. During our one month walk through, Robbie addressed every issue we had and even fixed the problems he could right then. I would highly recommend purchasing a DR Horton home.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Maureen. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you and your husband enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

My wife and I purchased a D.R. Horton home about 5 months ago, and I have to say, at least so far, we’ve had no bad experiences with the company or the build of our home. About a week into living in the home, we had plumbing back up, but we called our subcontractor who worked on the plumbing to come out using the emergency number and they came out and fixed it right away. Thankfully, it turned out to just be debris caught up in the lone. There were a few cosmetic issues during the walkthrough that we wanted addressed and they were, very promptly, by our superintendent. Then about a month after living in the house we discovered a couple more minor cosmetic issues that, again, were quickly and promptly taken care of by the superintendent, Keith.

We had a couple of tiles with smudges on them during the walkthrough and Keith immediately had the subcontractor who worked on the house come all the way from Orlando, about an hour and a half drive from our neighborhood, come out and fix it. Keith was very professional and understanding through the whole process, knowing this was the first home my wife and I would own together, and was always there to address any concerns or issues we had. Very professional with a great attitude and making sure any problems we had were taken care of right away.

We had also heard of problems with their mortgage company and preferred lender, but the communication and process with us was smooth and painless. Paul, who showed us the home, was the best. He still, to this day, several months after living here, checks in with us and makes sure everything is ok. We came by the house every weekend to make sure things were coming along well and he never was bothered by or minded us doing so. All in all, so far we’ve had no issues and the home appears to be well built and we love it. Subject to change down the road, of course, given wear and tear, but everyone with the company that we’ve worked with has been nothing but first rate. Would recommend based solely on our experience as of right now.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Matt. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: July 15, 2021

D.R. Horton built our home 5 years ago. About a year and a half after purchase, we noticed something leaking down the outside of the house from the eves. We thought it was from an animal. Next year it did it again etc. Last week while in the garage while it was raining I heard a drip, saw it was coming from the garage ceiling. I went into the attack and noticed all the wood was rotted under the shingles, 2x4. It was a mess! Now I know where the outside leak was from. We reached out to Dr Horton for them to tell me they will not fix it. Clearly the roofers did a poor job in this area as it's been leaking since day 1. HORRIBLE company. They're only out to make money and don't care about their customers.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 14, 2021

We just had D.R. Horton build a new house for us in Florida and are very dissatisfied with the results. During construction, the house was a mess with old food wrappers, old drinks and food left. A window was broken and not covered. That day we had a rain storm and water poured in damaging the drywall. The paint job looks like a 6 year old did it. The painters did not clean of any of the drywall dust or dirt. Instead they just painted over it. As a result, we have pieces of paper, dirt and sand stuck in our paint. On the patio, the painters did not paint portions of it as the grass was too high. They have not yet come back and fixed that. We have asked to have the paint fixed and have not yet received a response or seen anyone to come in and fix it.

We still do not have a functioning shower in one bathroom. Twice they have ordered the wrong parts. The doors look like they were left laying around and were damaged. Rather than getting new doors, they just put the damaged doors up. The doors do not fit correctly and several will not close. Door plates were not installed properly. A new house should not have doors which are already damaged. We had 2 broken tiles on the roof as well as several flashings which were not installed correctly. One window did not have the hurricane shutters installed correctly. We have dead landscaping and to date, it has not been replaced.

We have been our house for 30 days and repeatedly asked when these items will be fixed. To date, only the roof tiles and flashings have been fixed. Overall, I would say it was very sloppy workmanship with little care for how the finished product would look. If you are thinking of buying a D.R. Horton home, spend the money to hire your own home inspector. We would have never realized that the roof had issues if we had not.

D.R. Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I purchased my home in February. I was told at that time that I could not choose colors because the house was too far along in construction. Since this will be the third time my closing date has changed, that excuse should be thrown out the window. As another buyer said, all the blame is on Covid and lack of supplies and workers. If that is the case then why do they continue to sell instead of finishing the houses they have already sold?

When I asked for the specific reasons my sales agent listed three things. Since all 3 of those items had already been completed on my house, I asked her if they had removed those items since they were already done. When I said something about trying to find another place to live my sales agent was very happy to reply that I would lose my deposit of $16,000.00. That same sales agent also told us that "What you see is what you get." It was a few weeks later that another sales agent pointed out the things that would not be included. Things like, ceiling fans, cabinets and a sink in the laundry room, garage door openers. That sales agent seemed to know what he was doing. I was told that DR Horton finishes their homes quickly especially compared to local builders. I don't care about other builders, I care about the builder that I purchased a home from and so far I am still waiting.

D.R. Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. As D.R. Horton does not build in Arkansas, we need more information about where you are buying so we can assist you. Please refer to our Private Message that we sent you.

Original review: July 6, 2021

We built a home with DR Horton almost a year ago. We had a salesperson who promised more than she could deliver then she was moved to Houston office and left us hanging without an agent. We finished our process with a construction guy who told us first day "Well this isn't a million dollar home" granted. To me over $300K was a lot of money and a million dollar home for me. We had a huge crack in foundation first day before closing and were promised by manager that will be promptly fixed. Then she quit...the guy who said our home wasn't a million dollar home, was also moved and never heard back from.

I've failed many warrant claims and were promised that it would be promptly addressed yet we are almost a year in our home, and they failed to address it each time. I have called them, emailed and texted yet again. Once in a while when I do get a response, they make me a villain and say well ticket is placed for that order and then that the crack in my foundation is not due to the sitting water and improperly addressed soil placement and water tiles but to something that was never mentioned before. They told me the 1st time the basement had water after a few small rain showers that it is because of the outside structure of the home but now it's now...each person gives me something different and again they change staff so often that I don't know who tells me the truth or who is lying.

When we built a new home it was supposed to be a relaxing time because well, it's a new home. We have been under so much stress this year that it brought problems at home and at work. I have referred people to them and I regret that because they all have issues that are not addressed. I am sad to write this review because I have never written a bad review but I don't want others to be in the same position we are in. It is so stressful and so heartbreaking that we are not given the opportunity to enjoy your new home due to all the issues.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hello Emma. Your concerns have been escalated to the D.R. Horton management team in Ankeny, IA for their action.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I have lived in my DR Horton home that was a new build for 2 years and just recently, we experienced a roof leak in our master bedroom. We had a DR Horton customer service rep come and inspect the leak, and within a few days, they had the contractors who did the work out to fix the repair. It turned out the flashing was poorly installed by the contractors originally and left a gap between the roof and the wall that it adjoined causing water to slowly pour in. They had fixed the repair within the day which was nice, however that "fix" was short lived. The next major rainfall we had, we had a leak come in, even worse than before and had reached out light fixtures in the bedroom, which is concerning, because had they been on, could have caused major problems. The same CS rep came out and we went through the same process. This time they replaced the shingles and reinforced the flashing to ensure that the 3rd time would be the "last time".

So far, we have not had any future leaks, however I am not convinced that we will not have additional issues. After the first leak had occurred, I evaluated the rest of my house and noticed there were cracks in the seams on our hardie board and asked if these could be repaired due to the house being only 2 years old. They said that this was "out of warranty" and that the owner is responsible for that maintenance. I reluctantly accepted that decision. However after the 2nd leak (mind you, both occurred around 2:00 AM on a Sunday Morning, and not only did I have to clean up, move furniture, and submit a claim that wouldn't be answered until Monday) I asked that out of a courtesy of being inconvenienced with not only 1 roof leak, but a 2nd one in the same spot that they had supposedly fixed for them to repair the hardie board cracks on the side of my house.

Today, after a few emails to get a response, this is the message I got "After multiple attempts to repair the left side of your home my office has denied the request because it has no ties to the roof leak repairs." The CS Rep also sent me a screenshot of the warranty page DR Horton puts out where the repairs fall under "Home Maintenance"

This is pretty bad customer service, especially for someone who spent almost half a million dollars on a home with the company, and went through their mortgage company (where they likely profited a great deal more since my loan was immediately sold to Wells Fargo). A simple request to repair a poor build that would have cost DR Horton a very small fraction of what they profited off of me is not approved because some manager sitting in an office doesn't want to lose more of a bonus they would be given because that cost comes out of their bottom line. They don't care about their customers and this shows. I will not buy another DR Horton home and will recommend none of my friends and anyone reading to not buy from them either.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 28, 2021

Our closing was pushed back 2 times, then come to find out the house wasn’t even completely finished. Final grade wasn’t done. No railing on our front porch (against code). Not everything has been painted. Just to name a few. We are still waiting on everything on our punch list except the final grade. We closed beginning of May 2021 and it has been 2 months and nothing has been completed. We don’t even have the winged fences to connect to the fence we got put in with a different company, no problem. No front landscaping. No front irrigation. But our neighbors with DR Horton had front landscaping before they closed.

There is no timeline and they refuse to give us a timeline. This builder is unprofessional and gives lousy excuses, especially when we see other houses closed after us have more of the house finished than we do - or the fact that we got our fence put in before they were able to get anything done with their excuse of their contractors not doing the job. 1 star is too much, considering we’re living in an unfinished house.

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information