Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

DR Horton Homes Reviews

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

D.R. Horton did a fantastic job in all regards!! House was well-built and we were beyond pleased. HOWEVER, we had a terrible experience the law firm they used in South Carolina, Harvey and Vallini, LLC. The law firm was understaffed and unprepared on the day of closing. Our closing didn't start until more than an hour after our allotted closing time, and there were mistakes on the paperwork! D.R. Horton provides a quality product, but they need to get a new law firm to represent them in the Upstate of South Carolina to improve customer service. Harvey and Vallini did a TERRIBLE job.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I would like to start by saying that I have been working as an onsite sales agent for D.R. Horton in Wilmington NC since 2013. I bought one of our homes in 2016 in a community that I had worked in for 2 years and finished out. I would like to say that no builder is perfect but I stand behind the quality and energy efficiency of my home! I could have built a home with any builder in Wilmington and I chose to live in a community that I sold in. I wouldn't have built in a community that I represented if I didn't stand behind the quality and product that we build and I sell. I couldn't be happier!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Hi Everyone, My honest opinion is....that first building a home is stressful no matter who the builder is. This is my third house and hopefully my last but everyone expects a perfect house and me too! Some get the opportunity to see the whole process and others walk in one complete not knowing if it was done correct. I guarantee either will be. The problem is you have good and bad contractors that a builder hires. I have never seen a builder hire the most expensive bid and nether would you hire one. It’s all about profit like every American company. Sorry.

I am fortunate enough to know what to look for during the building process and I drive the supervisor crazy. It really comes down to a floor plan, price and location that you will like. My DR Horton Homes met this criteria on all three on two of the builds. I’m fortunate with relocating in different states they were here. All builders have these issues and it’s down to what you want. Just make sure the person in charge of building your house (supervisor) gets out of his truck and goes over the work they are doing than sitting on their phone all day and just cutting P.O.’s. If he seems that lazy then your house will look it. They need to keep on the quality and I felt my guy did his best. After one year now they came back with the contractors and repaired my floors and interior paint. I happy and that is all that matters. Do I see problems in the future. Maybe but if you have any house you will. That’s life. Hope this helps.

DR Horton Homes response

Good Morning, Bruce. Thank you for your comments. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This is the first home that I have ever purchased. I read the reviews online and saw that they were terrible, and I decided to continue with the purchase of my home with this builder. First, let's start with the "locating a home" process. I was too close to my apartment lease ending to have a home built from scratch, so I chose a model home. The sales representative, Nancy was very attentive and patient explaining everything. She was also very straight-forward (which I like). She showed me the home and explained the process of buying it. After we decided to move forward the the home, she drafted the contract and I read every single page (remember, I read the reviews so I didn't trust the builder). Again, Nancy was very patient and helpful.

When it came to finishing the model home, I was brought in for inspections and looked at the home several times. I wasn't able to choose my own colors and cabinetry because the far was too far along by that point, but I didn't mind. I used the DR Horton Financial company as a lender for the loan, and the representative Tiffany was very helpful. She answered every one of my calls, and always had an answer. If she didn't she got back to me promptly. The closing was not delayed, I was kept in the loop, and it was executed as planned.

On to the final walk-through inspection. This is the area where DR Horton has room for improvement. About 2 days prior to closing, the builder scheduled the initial and final walk-through. I was skeptical that things would be fixed in that time, but it was. It is important to note that all findings were cosmetic, and nothing major. I'm not a handyman, so I wouldn't be able to tell if something major was wrong anyway.

On the day of closing, everything went smooth and we purchased the home. There are still some things that need to be fixed (there is a dent in the garage door), but nothing major. The only thing that I noticed is that on my kitchen island, under the granite countertop, the builder did not install a piece of molding. Purely cosmetic, but still. The overall process went smooth.

**IMPORTANT**. If you take one thing from this review, take this. I hired my own inspector (cost about $300) to inspect the entire home for anything that is wrong. Even though it is a new home, you never know what might be wrong so hire a professional to look at the home for you. Don't let anyone tell you not to have an inspection simply because the home is new -- my inspector DID find some discrepancies.

Also, FINAL IMPORTANT NOTE. Hire a real estate agent. They are your advocate and when things aren't going your way, it is good to have someone fighting on your side. DR Horton paid my real estate agent's fees, I think this is something they regularly do. The inspection that I paid for and my real estate agent were my two biggest reliefs when it came to this process. I used the VA loan because I am a veteran. I say this because I'm not sure if this affected any portion of my home-buying process differently than someone else.

DR Horton Homes response

Hi Joel. Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton and thank you for your service. We hope that you enjoy your new home for many years.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I read reviews prior to doing a DR Horton purchase as well did my own research by using my experience with them. I had zero issues as well received prompt attention to anything that has happened since my purchase within this 1st year. The only issue was a blown out circuit breaker for my garbage disposal. I would recommend them and doing your own homework rather than listen to the one-sided views of some of the reviewers. You do your research and consider what square footage your receiving for the price you pay. Make sure your home is one that wasn’t build on backfill, my home was build on dugout ground we have had zero settlement cracks cement or walls. Let’s see how year 2 goes. God bless the USMC AND AMERICA as well keep AMERICA moving in the MAGA agenda. VOTE FOR AMERICA AND VOTE TRUMP 2020.

DR Horton Homes response

Thank you for your comments Dan, and thank you for your service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

It's not in my nature to criticize another person work because I know how powerful negative comments can impact businesses, however, sometime the truth need to be told. My family and I are extremely disappointed in the way we have been treated by DR Horton Smyrna, DE branch. Two months ago on August 22, 2019, me, my wife, kids, my two brothers and their wives visited DR Horton Smyrna to express our interest in their new construction home, we had already secured a loan from another lender prior to meeting DR Horton rep on August 22,2019.

We told their Sales Rep that we're ready to buy and move in immediately if we find a home that we like or we could wait for them to build a home but it must be completed within in 4 to 5 months. Their rep assured us that they already have a permit secured to begin construction in 4 to 6 weeks, with the completion scheduled for End of December to mid January. We agreed at that point to engage in a contract talk with them but we were told to forgo the loan we had previously secured with another lender prior to meeting up with them to choose their lender which happens to be USDA Loan.

I immediately submitted all my financial statements to the sales rep to apply for the loan and I was told that I must make a deposit of $5,000 which will be refunded to me during closing and I must sign a contract before they proceed and give me a start date for the construction of my home. I signed the contract and submitted $5,000 deposit two months ago with the understanding that construction will begin sometime in September but we're now approaching the end of October without any foundation on the ground.

Three weeks after signing the contract and giving the Sales Rep my deposit, I received an email from the same sales rep asking me if I have applied for the loan with their lender. At that point I was confused because I had already submitted all my financial statements to him and he forwarded all to their loan officer in my presence on August 23, and they prepared a fake documents to send to me highlighting the total cost, monthly payment, etc. This document was sent to me few hours later on August 23, after we agreed to proceed with them. Now your have taken my deposit, deceived me to sign a contract but yet your have not even do your due diligence to ensure I'm qualify for the loan you promised me.

I have reached to the sales rep several times to express my frustrations and concerns about the deadline he promised, two months later we're still in a limbo with time clicking fast on our end. My wife and I have already booked our wedding for the 3rd week of January and I must leave my current residence at the end of my lease which is at the end of January or else I must renew for a full year. We have a day care business we were hoping to start by February but all these plans are at risk of cancellation which will cost us serious financial damages. I have communicated these concerns with the sales rep many times and I have asked for my deposit back so we can proceed with different path to ensure all of our plans come to fruition. We have been deceived and I have asked for my deposit to be return but I'm being told that my money cannot be return. I'm gonna consult with my legal team in the next few days and we'll let the judge decide this.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

We purchased our new construction home about 6 months ago 2019 and the experience was absolutely amazing. If you are looking for a nice home you will get an excellent one with DR Horton homes. As of today's date we have a few small issues but none that can't be rectified by our warranty department at our 11th month. Team DR Horton, (Gateway Village).

DR Horton Homes response

Hello Frederick & Dee! Thank you for sharing your experience with D.R. Horton. We hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

Garbage builder w/ a complete staff of incompetents and no quality control systems or accountability in place. Their only concern is throwing homes together and forcing closings. I forced the closing to be postponed 5 times due dozens upon dozens of defects, most of which are still present a year after I agreed to close w/ their commitment that all issues would be resolved. I wouldn’t allow DR Horton to build a dog house.

DR Horton Homes response

We appreciate you making us aware of your concern. A private message was sent to your Consumer Affairs account so that we can collect further information/details in order to assist you. We look forward to your reply.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

My husband and I purchased a home in the Clifford Grove community (Garner, NC) just about a month ago. Since the date of our closing, we have been met with poor customer service and lack of follow-through from the team. When we first went to look at the community, we were struck by the beauty of the homes. The beauty of the home is not worth the headache that we are still dealing with. On the day we moved into our house, the cabinet doors were still stained, painting was not complete and there was a stain on the carpet.

When we brought the issue up to LaTrenda and John, they were quick to assure us that it would be taken care of. That assurance came over three weeks ago. Now, we are in a home that still have stained cabinets and unfinished paint. When we tried to reach out to them for help, we were told they do not schedule the trade workers. Dominik is the lead on construction. He scheduled meetings with my husband, but did not show up. Twice, my husband took off work to be available and twice the appropriate people did not show up to do the work. While yes, the homes are beautiful. This process is not worth it. There are other communities in the area with beautiful homes. I would encourage you to look elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

No Quality control, cheap labor, contractors doing their own complaining even!, etc. Promises, lies, excuses, but no actions. Sell you a home mortgage based on a $1000.00 down. They approve lots of sub buyers then before 1st your 1st payment, they sell the mortgage =no ties/obligations with homeowner. Poor workmanship comes from cheap, inexperienced workers.

DRH goal is how fast, how many can we profit on! They all are divided in groups/locations and are independently controlled, Quota is priority=$$$ Suppliers have been told that they get a price from DRH to perform their jobs, not the other way around, if they want the work! In turn, they use sub par supplies. Several issues on my property, too long to list, but I can say that there are over 150 emails and counting....

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information