1.42/5
Based on 89 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Find a recommended home builder & developer now

DR Horton Homes

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 10, 2018

616 DR Horton Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Hope this helps others. It's January 29 2018. Sold my home and it closes April 13. We went to DR Horton Ormond beach. Mrs ** was great. Showed us the house. At that time house was 275000. We made at fair offer of 270000. Was turned down because April 13 was too long off to close. It's February 7. We called and made a offer of full asking price was told no, only if I could close end of March. We called our buyer to see if they would move the closing date to March. The buyer of course said yes, but wanted money. I offered 5000. They agreed. I called Wanda. Offered the 270000. Her manager turn us down again. After many attempts to sell the house to others the house that we wanted and other buyers couldn't get approved. We have cash send then proof. Only thing I see is they up the house price twice.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Years two store house in Katy TX. Find multiple structure issues not build according to residential code. Send warranty tickets within the time frame, has been refused to fix the issue according to residential code. Been closed all my warranty tickets without inform me and fix all listed issues, because I contacted local building official. Arbitration term on the warranty contract that eliminated buyer to sue the builder, Dr.Horton. Once Warranty company decide not make contact with the buyer, buyer will out option to protect their investment on the house. Since Structure issue is major house problem, the warranty company will keep deny the issue, but to fix it with minimum effect to cover up. Advice: don't buy the house build from Dr.Horton or David Weekley (another name of Dr. Horton).

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

In March of 2017 we happened upon DR Horton Homes in Lakeland, Florida with our real estate agent. So very excited to find our winter home as we are from Canada. In speaking with the DR Horton salesperson NORMAN who was very nice and seemed to us to be very sincere we decided to go thru with our purchase. We were extremely nervous because of the US dollar exchange but within 3 months it returned to an acceptable level for us. One of the very first questions we asked was what were the HOA fees (as being retired Canadians we are on a fixed income and of course our dollar is approx. 30 cents less the American dollar). We needed to be sure we could well afford our beautiful winter home. We were assured by Mr. NORMAN that the fees were 195.00 per quarter. Perfect. We thought fit our budget.

We are now in our house and upon returning in January received 2 HOA bills. One for the agreed price of $195.00 and then another for $422.00 per quarter. We were in total shock... we called NORMAN immediately upon receipt of this invoice and he reassured us that there was only one HOA and it had gone up to $205.00. Well yesterday we met with the COO of Titan Management and a HOA representative of DR Horton who apparently only came to the meeting to discuss what was covered under out HOA agreement. We were told by NORMAN and the HOA Coordinator JESSE ** that this meeting would give us a remedy to the HOA problem (there are 6 residents in our area to date and every one of them were given different amounts).

When we questioned Jesse at the meeting he denied ever saying it was a meeting with an HOA resolution. The COO (Laurie) of Titan was of no help whatsoever as she said, "We cant help what your representative said but this is what you have to pay". Melissa from DR Horton HOA coordinator could only answer us with one statement over and over again... "You signed for both HOA's in your closing." Well in our closing papers it did say there was another HOA but it said "if applicable." In addition there were never ever any reference to another HOA fee in the final closing settlement statements. (An acknowledge that was signed by us and a DR Horton representative.) We therefore thought that one had nothing to do with us. Boy were we wrong. Do we have any recourse??? HELP!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Tried to buy 2 different homes in Charleston, SC. First I understand why didn't get it. Still had work to do 2nd. Without any warning just got email wanting to cancel contract because credit hadn't updated yet so too low to buy a house that wasn't even done yet. Credit will be updated within 3 weeks or so. But I guess they didn't care how upset we were terribly working so hard to get it. Not sure why they couldn't wait 3 weeks but oh well. Done with this company & never will consider them again! My advice is stay away from these dream crushers!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I visited one of the properties & received a price list from 2 different agents. Both price list had the price at $449,516. I left earnest money thinking I made a great deal. The next day I put an offer in for the full price & was told the price was incorrect on the paper & the agents had the incorrect amount. The correct amount was $497,000. It was an error & even though I was told that price & left earnest money they can't honor it. I've never received such bad customer service. Both agents could care less to fix the problem. Amy & Kim.

Then I spoke to Megan the sales manager & she didn't help either. She was very nice the first day we talked saying she will do whatever she can to help but then the next day she sends an offer and says, "That's the best I can do." This is not my first time buying a house. I've always had a great experience but this time was different. I was anger & hurt. I would never consider a DR Horton house again. I don't know why they are the number 1 builder. I disagree!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

DR HORTON AMERICA'S WORST BUILDER - The title of this review clearly states the status of this builder. I have purchased new homes in the past but never have I experienced such negligence and lack of workmanship. I have disputes with them concerning the property line. I could see the stucco in my living room from lack of proper paint application; cabinets not installed correctly; dishwasher not working; splintered wood everywhere; flooring scratched; dents on my entry door; air conditioning and heating not working; new solar panel covered from dust from their own construction. I have a list that goes on and on... while they have attempted to correct some of the problems most are still pending and ongoing.

They have also tried to deceive me in trying to lead me to believe that repairs have been addressed when in fact they were not. Example the closet poles were splintered and had gouges. I pointed this out to their customer service representatives and I was told the poles were replaced and addressed. I looked in the closet and it seemed that was in fact the case. When my housekeeper started dusting and cleaning the area she noted that the poles were not in fact replaced but they had simply turned them so the splinters and gouges could not be seen. Absolutely the worst home buying experience ever. I closed escrow on 12/27/17 and am so sorry that I ever dealt with this builder. I will never purchase a home from this builder again... If I could get my money back I would cancel the purchase in a second. The home is located in Horse Creek Ridge Development in Fallbrook, CA.

`

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I purchased my Rose Model in 2006. I went to assess for a remodel of the upstairs last May. I wanted to replace the hot water heater and discovered the small door they build was not wide enough to get the hot water heater out. I did contact the local DR Horton Rep in Charleston SC. She alleged she would look into this. NEVER HEARD BACK. I finally had contractor do. Total cost for contractor and materials was $827.32. I assume the other Rose Models in Willowbrook will all have this issue since they are cookie cutter versions. Apparently it is too much to ask for their builders to use a tape measure.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

My problem is not so much with the builders, because most of those issues have been resolved. My issues are with the Sales Agent/Reps namely Gwendolyn **& Gina **. Gwendolyn ** promised us things but failed to deliver. Gina ** flat out tried to take advantage of us and our situation. My husband and I are truck drivers, which require us to be on the road weeks at a time. So with that being said, we weren't able to be there to watch the whole building process. I feel Gina ** is untrustworthy lying snake. I guess these are the type of people like working for him. I think she did 7 or more changes to the contract, which looks very suspicious if you ask me. Some may say she was doing what her employer instructed her to do, well if that's so, her employer is no better than the employee. Because of Gina ** we had to spend 4 additional days in the hotel. I feel DR Horton or Gina ** should reimburse us for the money spent.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

My purpose of this review is to encourage prospective buyers to have any house professionally inspected during the building process as well as the finished product way ahead of the closing date. I have bought 2 new Pulte Homes, 1 David Weekly, 1 DR Horton and my current Express Home. My error is that I thought that an Express Homes is the same as a DR Horton home - it is not the same! My experience with this particular Express Home is one which I will never want me or another customer to endure. I usually do not write reviews because I know that any handmade product, such as a production house, will never be perfect. I am so disappointed; after two and a half years in this Express Home, I am still unpacked (and ready to move). I had an 11th-month inspection performed on my house which documented problems that I didn't know existed such as in the attic area.

Warranty took care of many of the problems such as a broken truss, a warped wall, cracked tiles, electrical connections, carpet repairs, and others too numerous to list here. There were a total of 5 warranty representatives that visited the house so there was hardly a continuation of information on the warranty issues. The last few months of the warranty period, a new warranty representative finally took charge and got the items repaired or replaced. There will be items that are cosmetic that will never be repaired such as a crooked closet frame and door; the trim carpenter said that it was the variation of the wood that nothing could be done. I recall that I was told that engineered wood products that are used are chosen to prevent variations of the wood.

There were incomplete or poorly constructed items starting from the brick mailbox on the curb, throughout the house, and to the ruts and drainage in the backyard, as well as the broken irrigation plumbing. I know that DR Horton has a record of all these issues and can be verified. I even received a call from DR Horton Corporate office to ask why I gave such a poor evaluation. As an everlasting optimist, I am hoping that there will not be any other problems. There are some good points: The house is well insulated and the repaired items are stronger. The utilities are gas furnace and gas water heater. I do have a receipt to submit and achieve the label of Verified Buyer and the image of my house does not set properly in the field provided.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

After 4 or 5 times being called out about my electrical breakers they still can't manage to fix my problem. Always have a b.s. excuse on what's wrong which changes every time. So my outside outlets are useless. My tiles in my master bathroom are already cracking. Some of my walls are even cracking as well. My house is not even two years old yet. We should've researched more before buying this house. Honestly after all the runaround this place gives us to me 1 star is too generous.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Okay, I must admit that these negative reviews freaked us out after we signed a contract to build in Deland, FL in July, 2017. So much so that we seriously thought of walking away from our $5,000 deposit and looking at other options. However, there were no better options, so we not only expressed our reservations to our Realtor, we also grilled our Horton sales rep. Thereafter, we actually DID SOMETHING about it and retained an independent inspector to follow the build from the slab pour to the final walk-thru.

This is my 5th new house and I had never done this before, but we’re so glad we did and I’d encourage all to go this route before making such a huge financial commitment (and I’d recommend this with any builder)- This was a 340k+ house. During the framing/pre-drywall inspection, our inspector found a wall that was wasn’t straight. We also noticed the butler’s pantry hadn’t been framed-out as contracted and was going to be built as a closet in the other side. These issues were fixed immediately.

After the drywall was put up, our inspector noted one of the ceiling joists in the dining room was lower, which caused a visible defect. This too was fixed. Folks, this sort of “stuff” happens all the time regardless of the builder. You can’t wait until the final walk-thru and if you think you’re going to know how good the “bones” of a house are without an inspection, you’re kidding yourself- Best $950 we ever spent! We were also assured by this independent person working for us, that the roof, slab, plumbing, ductwork, electrical, the outside grading, the size of the A/C unit, etc were all GOOD. Yes, some of the subs were sloppy and there was a large punch list, but the inspector helped with this too. Don’t make the mistake of trying to do this yourself, as many (negative) reviewers seem to have done.

I must say that I have been thoroughly impressed by DR Horton’s warranty division as all items still outstanding were addressed promptly by their Orlando division. You need to also keep in mind that there are bugs to be worked out in all new homes. Keep in mind also that the AC filter in your brand new home is a temporary one, meant to be replaced by either a new frame with spare disposable filters or with disposable filers from your local grocery or home improvement store.

Examples of the bugs: Shortly after moving in on Dec 21, we were stunned that the plumbing on one side of the house backed-up. This had happened to me once before, so I knew what it was- Construction debris in the main line that no amount of plunging is going to take care of. Given we were having company for Christmas, we sent a panicked text at 6 am to the construction supervisor and sales rep. They had a plumber out within HOURS who cleaned the line out. That’s impressive. The last time this happened, I had to fight another builder to be reimbursed as I was made to call a plumber and get it taken care of. Another example was the lanai floor- It was two finishes, Flat and Gloss and it looked ridiculous. They’ve already repainted the entire floor and it looks great.

Do yourselves another favor and get your granite counters sealed and the grout painted. Over two grand, yes, however when my wife accidentally spilled an entire bottle of red wine on our light grey tile last night, it came up easily with no stain to the tile or grout lines. DR Horton closed when they said we would close, they’ve kept every promise made and I can’t help but think it all started with the use of an independent inspector. I feel bad for all the other reviewers who have had negative experiences, but I have read many reviews for other builders and it’s the same story- Relying on their own experience or the local building department to catch what are bound to be numerous issues throughout the process.

Please, please, please spend the money on the front end and I’m convinced you’ll have a much better experience. You also have to be able to “roll with the punches” and not get too caught up with emotion before you start with the negativity. Example: The other day our garage door wouldn’t work. I was convinced it was a misalignment in the track or the motor was out of adjustment and was pretty angry. Made a warranty claim, called the door company and was set to have someone from there come the next day. I happened to see our construction supervisor driving by and he pulled up asking me how things were with the new house. I mentioned the garage door, he checks it and there was a ruler my wife had placed by the garage that was blocking the eye- Duh!!

Felt pretty foolish but again, at least in central Florida, these folks practically fall over themselves trying to make you happy. Was this a fluke? I don’t think so. You know why? Because all of the negative reviews I’ve read of this (or any other builder) never have an independent inspector from the beginning. Never. Don’t leave it to chance and I hope this will save at least one person from some serious heartache. Thanks for reading and I’d say good luck, but you don’t need it. You need a qualified inspector.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Went under contract with a new build in the Woodlake community in Wilmington, NC in Dec 2017 and closed in Jan of 2018. The sales staff on site were wonderful to work with. Our inspector found several small items that needed to be addressed and the Superintendent (Jeff) did an amazing job making sure all items were repaired before closing and gave us documentation from the contractors with evidence of the repairs. Would definitely buy from them again - we love our new home and have been satisfied from every angle so far.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Avoid this company... Found what I thought would be the First Home for me and my New Finance. To begin the Agent Tahira was literally just ok. Gave info on only the most expensive homes. Never talked about anything else. So you fall in love with a home that may not be within your reach. Great. We were given a packet with a number of floor plans... some that were never shown. Floor plans that she never talked to us about as far as pricing & availability. Was then referred to this absolutely awful DHI Mortgage Lender Alana **. Gave our info online Sunday night and lender was called that night. The website says 2 days. Lender never even attempted to prequalify us until late in the week. False website advertising. She finally began the process to leave us nowhere. She was not helpful, was not informative... I had to pry for all info from her. Poke and proud for advise and how to proceed. She did nothing...

I had to send multiple email to her, with which she still has not responded to any of them except 1. She acted so busy, like she could not discuss things with me about my own credit. She barely know what she was talking about, she was disorganized and unprepared. She barely listened during the call we had... Trust me RUN. I will post this review everywhere that I can. These companies are horrible. This is a tragedy and, disappointment; it's obvious 1 lost client does not matter.

Who cares if the small people don't make it to their first homes. #joke #run #disorganized #cashcows #theydontcare #nothelpful

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I see all the negative reviews here and the only explanation I can think of is, ignorance. Do people not understand the maintenance required when purchasing a new build? Google any home builder and you will always see negative reviews for the same reasons. Cheap appliances, dead grass, cracks in molding or caulking etc. It’s not a DR Horton problem. It’s a new home problem! Something has just been built where there was nothing there before. The soil will be bad and the house needs time to settle. Things you can expect with ANY new home are nail pops, floor squeaks, plumbing issues, tile cracks, cabinets with nails exposed, carpet seam separation, window leaks, soggy grass in the yard, driveway cracks and so many more things I can’t fit in this review. If you don’t want to deal with issues like this, don’t buy a new build. Buy a home at least 5 years old.

Ok with all that being said, I purchased my home from DR Horton in 2014 and I couldn't be happier. I had issues most people would complain about but I simply contacted the company and they repaired all issues. They even reinstalled my shower glass, all free. Other issues I resolved myself because I know how and in my opinion if you can’t make small repairs yourself, you have no business being a home owner. Thank you DR Horton!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have filled out numerous surveys received from DR Horton to no avail. I have submitted warranty requests as instructed by your construction team. 2 months, 4 appointments and two refrigerators later, the issue is still not resolved. In my initial walk-thru it was noted that my upgraded, Frigidaire Professional line refrigerator was scratched. The fridge was never replaced or repaired a week later during my final walk through. I closed on October 30th, it is now January 9th and every door panel and attempted repair has resulted in the same scratched door and, more recently, a leaking fridge. I went two weeks with no water or ice waiting on a valve. After receiving the valve and having to wait for another appointment for installation, the fridge is still leaking. One of the repair visits, with a DR Horton representative present, resulted in them breaking a bottle of Moet & Chandon that was in my fridge.

I have spoken to several construction team members, the most recent the Area Construction Manager. He presented himself as eager to help in his initial email. Since then, I have not heard from him and my emails and calls have gone unanswered. As a new homeowner with DR Horton, I have to say after the sale was finalized, the customer service stopped and apparently there are no capable people to resolve such a simple issue. I'll continue to call their Southeast corporate office and try my chance at social media until I get a capable representative.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

First and foremost, I want to talk about the upgrades. They didn’t really informed us about the upgrades and what are the things that we can upgrade such as blinds and garage door opener. It was already in our closing day when they told us that we need to provide our own blinds and garage door opener and contact someone to install it. We were very shocked because this has never brought to us and even in our final walk through. I spoke to our friends who got new houses as well with different builders and they were shocked about it because they have at least garage door openers because it’s mandatory nowadays. You cannot just buy a new house and then no garage door opener or at least, they have mentioned it to us. Very poor communication.

About our floor, well it has swirls everywhere like 80 percent of our house. When we did the final walked through, I have noticed it and addressed it to the engineer. He said, "It’s just dirt and dust." They called someone right away to mopped it. Well, guess what, it still has the swirls until now. We have used different kinds of floor products to get rid of the swirls and make it nice but my husband told me that it has something to do with the concrete floor underneath. It’s not smoothly done. It breaks my heart because it’s very important to me to have nice floors. By the way, we just moved in May of this year. So it’s not even a year old house.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I bought my home in 2012, and have had numerous issues. One of my main issues are my air conditioner and wiring. I had someone to come out, because of the issues I had with air conditioner. Found out the wiring was wrong. One of the wirings that supposed to be in my bedroom is in my bathroom. That's why it's hot like Arizona in the Summer and cold like Alaska in Winter. I guess their inspector didn't see that. Nobody wants to take responsibility, and also the air conditioner leaked very bad til the point it turned the side bricks of my home rusty. And nothing seems to be under warranty when you call them about concerns in my home that is not correct. Also cracks in walls. Thanks, DR Horton.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have water intrusion in my house since September, filed a claim and they said the water is coming in from a minor stucco crack. Advised them we need to do a water test. DR Horton sent a guy out who just looked at the wall and said, "Yep. Is because of the cracks." Now they are telling me that they won't cover it because the cracks are not over 1/8 of an inch or bigger. I have been trying to get this resolved for 4 months now. The house is not even a year old. I get no call backs from anyone. They denied my claim without even telling me it was denied. To these people is on to build houses that leak and tell you that basically now is your problem. Not sure where that is ok to do to hard working people who just bought a new house to stay away from old homes. People run as far as you can from this builder. I have been sick to my stomach ever since I bought from DR Horton.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

This is our 3 month in a 257.000 house. What a joke. Please keep reading this through. I’ll start off with small problems. First the walls have bowed throughout the house. The warranty people through DR Horton said it must be the insulation behind the walls. Well let me tell ya the upstairs shower is a one piece unit. The 2 day we found 3 cracks and a hole you could slip a penny in. Now it is December 14. The shower just got tore out and no I said no insulation behind the exterior walls behind the shower. 3 months now and still no shower.

Next items. The front door would open by itself. They didn’t leave it before nailing it. It took 1 month to get that fixed. The interior doors. The jambs are 4 inches thick at the bottom and over 6 inches at the top so this leaves you with 2 inches out from the wall molding. This is 7 doors out of 9 possible then the dishwasher dripping for 3 weeks before I found it. The kitchen walls and flooring is no good. It's been 3 weeks without a kitchen. Now no sink no dishwasher nothing then come to find out it was the sales rep that cross threaded the water line that caused this. After all that the paint is garbage. You can’t wipe it, it smeared thats throughout the house, cheapest paint you can get. Driveway is cracking. It’s only 4 months old really and many more problems so do not buy a DR Horton house. Do not. I will sell right after this is all fixed. Do not buy a DR Horton.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We purchased a DR Horton home in May of the year, to be completed in October. We settled and moved in the first week of November. 4 days after being in the house, there was a sewage backup, caused by broken pipes and debris in our sewage drains, with water all over the first floor bathroom, in the hallway, and under the wall into the first floor bedroom. It was reported immediately, yet that sewage water damage sat there for a week before DR Horton sent anyone over to start taking care of it. The smell was awful.

The flood/fire company came and removed the carpet from the hallway, bedroom, and up the stairs to the second floor hallway, as it had been contaminated. They also cut the walls out 2 feet above the floor in the affected areas. Our brand new home sat in this state for over a week before anyone from DR Horton came to see what needed to be done to restore the damage. Both the contractor and the building supervisor claimed they had no idea, however we had personally been in touch with the supervisor ourselves, so that was a lie. The flooring company claimed they could do nothing for about 10-14 days. Please keep in mind that we had now missed having family for Thanksgiving because the house was torn up, and they were now threatening our time with our oldest daughter, who needed that bedroom when she returns from school in 2 weeks.

After making some phone calls that got the ball rolling a little faster, the drywall installers showed up a couple days later. That went fine. The next day, the painters arrived. They left the entire house covered in drywall dust that they had sanded and their vacuum had blown EVERYwhere. They also didn’t sand smoothly or even use the same color paint, so the repaired 2 feet of drywall is extremely obvious. We also could now notice where the drywall installers had left a half inch gap under the power outlet where they had miscut the material, and several rough edges.

Next came the carpet installers, who didn’t attach and meet the carpet correctly against the hardwood at the entrance, leaving the carpet edge exposed and now fraying. And while installing the carpet, they cracked our baseboards in multiple places when tucking the carpet under, with no mention of repairing them. We are now waiting for another contractor to replace baseboards/trim in the areas where they had removed them.

It has been 4 weeks since we have lived here, and we have not been able to enjoy a nice, complete, new home yet. And possibly even more frustrating than all of that, is the fact the DR Horton does not care. At all. Any communication has been initiated by us. We have made phone calls and sent numerous emails, and often get nothing back. Not even an apology. They didn’t care that we were living with sewage in our house. They then didn’t care that we were walking in plywood and concrete floor, complete with staples and spray paint everywhere. And now they don’t care that the repairs look worse than something we could’ve done ourselves by following a YouTube video.

It’s also important to note, we are not the only house in our neighborhood that had horror stories to tell after settlement. One neighbor had his entire kitchen floor torn up to fix a plumbing issue immediately after moving in. And the fire/flood company admitted this was not the only time they had been in our neighborhood. It is unbelievable to me that this company can be so lax in their customer service skills. We just made a huge investment, believing that we would be delivered a solid, livable home, and when we weren’t, they can not even acknowledge us. It is shameful. DO NOT EVER INVEST IN A DR HORTON HOME!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I had a single wide that they was going to sell for me and put me in my new home from them and when it sold I got half after the payoff. I was the one that sold it and the manager and the salesman split my half but I was ok with it. I sold my single wide. So after that done I got a very bad deal from Horton Homes. I had my land and had it set up for the home but they was not happy. So you know what they did? Yep redone it. More money for Midland Mortgage. The lady that was getting the loan for me her husband did the landscaping. Win win for her and Midland and the salespeople and Horton Homes all was in it. But that is just the start of **.

I am still fixing after 10yrs. I had cancer lucky for them. I was so sick. This is all I can do is warn other people about them. Do not buy from none of them or get a loan. Yes I called all the people at the top. They just made threats. So don't think you will win you won't. The way out is don't buy from them. They tried to sell me a heat pump from a heat and air that was in with them. Lucky me the guy from Duke told me it was too small to heat or my new crappy home. So look out!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

A very close friend of mine is in the process of purchasing a DR Horton Homes. While inspecting two lots that his floor plan was built on; lots 6 and lot 24, I voiced my concerns out loud to him in front of the real estate agent that helping in his quest to purchase a home. I saw many red flags if he were to pick the home that was on lot 24; one being soil erosion, thus foundation issues. When we went back to the sales office, he told the sales representative his concerns regarding lot 24 and he wanted lot 6 instead.

There was only $7,000.00 between the two homes and the sales representative tried to give us the "runaround." The sales representative told us that there was going be a drainage pipe put in to solve any drainage problems. I told my friend, that that was B.S. because why didn't DR Horton put the pipe in before building all of the speck homes to the lots that back up to this very large trench; lot 24's backyard was only about 8 feet from the back of the home before it hits the trench and in order to fence the backyard in, the fence would be on the other side of this large trench.

He offered my friend window blinds and other items if my friend would pick lot 24 instead of lot 6. The DR Horton sales representative started to give all this B.S. about DR Horton being an upstanding and honest company and as if we should trust anything that he told us; I took my friend aside and told not to believe any of that B.S.!!! Lot 24 was $7000.00 less than lot 6 and my friend told them that he wanted the home on lot 6 for the same price as the home on lot 24.

The sale DR Horton sales representative finally gave in and gave him the home on lot 6 for the same price of the home on lot 24. My friend also chose his own lender and homeowners insurance company and not using DR Horton's. I am in my fifth new home that was built in 2010, by SDC Homes. I have a well built home and all of the minor issues of my new after I moved into it, were resolved in a timely manner; excellent customer service. During the past seven years that I have lived in my new SDC Home, I have had no major nor minor issues with my new home.

But I did entertain the idea of selling my home and purchasing a new DR Horton because of the area that the DR Horton homes were located in. But while viewing the videos at the DR Horton website about their various homes, I decided to do a little investigating and I came across the "Consumer Affairs " website regarding DR Horton Homes.

I called my friend and told him to check out this site; he already had his walkthrough and will be closing in a few days. He told me that the DR Horton building superintendent was the one who gave him his two hour walkthrough and this man told my friend to make sure he have another final walkthrough on the tenth month of the one year warranty before it expires. This sounds very familiar, since I have been reading all of the reviews. I called my friend and tried to explain to him how DR Horton works to deceived people who purchase their homes; nice and helpful to you, but after they get your money, you no longer exist to them.

I told him not to believe that crap about waiting for the tenth month to submit any issues regarding his new so that DR Horton resolve and correct any issues in his new home. I told him, that DR Horton will only stall in making any repairs, until the home is no longer under warranty, but he believes what the DR Horton superintendent told. I told him to go to this website and read the many reviews.

For myself. I have a well built new home and I have pushed the idea out of my head of purchasing a DR Horton home because of my reading the many reviews.

I wish to thank everyone who sent in a review regarding DR Horton, thus preventing me from making a very huge financial mistake. As for my friend, I just hope that I don't have to say "I told you so!!!"

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

DR Horton throws up poorly built homes in predominated ** communities and calls them Express Homes meaning thrown together! No upgrades are allowed yet they cost as much as other comparable homes in nicer areas. He uses the cheapest material and flooring. Linoleum and poor quality carpets! We were not made aware of the express status of the Home until after we signed a contract and wanted to upgrade our floors. Unscrupulous business practice is what I call it! Steer clear of DR Horton and his homes. Also if you insist on buying one do the pre-drywall inspection and the final inspection to make sure it won’t fall down on you while you sleep!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

This is first review for any item online. This is honest and full thought thru review. I hope it help some of home buyers. I am writing this review about the community "villages at Skybrook North" generally called Skybrook North. The builder is D.R Horton. I moved in almost couple of months back reported and shown them lot of issue in my 1 month walk thru. The person doing walk thru and assessments said those are not included. Anything you ask him he says that is not included or does not cover!! He always says that you have do all these before closing. It is hard to find out the all the issue in couple hours before closing (as most of us are first time home buyer we might have given notice to apartment and we may not have time wait further). And all the corners of the home got cracks and not sure how it goes in future. Even though it is brand new home but has the issues more than decade old home.

My quick suggestion would be don’t think again. Start running from this builder. Used homes are better than the builder home (We buy new home to get the comfort of the warranty and quality and Peace mind). Try some good builder in the same neighborhood who can provide you the quality building. I don’t know whether putting review properly with good words. My online review would be “Start running from this builder not even think of walk!!”. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Our home was built 12 years ago by DR Horton. We are discovering as time goes on that an endless amount of short cuts were taken in regards to wrapping windows, flashing, caulking and many more which have led to 50% of our windows leaking behind the window trim and then causing rot under the siding. Every side of the house has been compromised and we have had to pay thousands of dollars to repair the rot and window repair. The outside damage has now cause the inside sills to warp also leading to more replacement and repair. There was no flashing placed at the junctions of the siding or at the top of any of the windows and the window in the picture attached shows that they didn't even screw the window to the house itself, there were no screws at all. This is a no-brainer when it comes to building, yet one wouldn't ever know this until years later as a problem arises.

The state of Washington allows 5 years warranty for compensation which doesn't help as this type of damage doesn't show up until much later than 5 years. Homeowners insurance doesn't help with poor quality workmanship either. I don't understand how DR Horton can have a good conscience about their company knowing they are hurting homeowners by their consistent lack of quality skill. Thousands of homes build by DR Horton in the Pacific Northwest have dealt with this issue resulting in anywhere from $8,000 to 30,000 in repairs. Our local news station featured a story on just how common this problem is, addressing issue of poor workmanship, inferior materials and lack or proper waterproofing in protecting the homes exterior. If you are buying a home or building I would advise you to stay as far away from the DR Horton company as possible.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I purchased a brand new home in NC from DR Horton in August, almost 3 months ago. I have had nothing but issues since day one. They make promises to fix things and it just doesn't happen. Today 3 months later I have mismatched carpeting with a lousy seam job in my living room, a dead plant in the front yard and no follow-up.

They keep sending out people to "look" at the problem and no one to fix it. The supervisor of the construction crew said he would personally bring over a shovel and plant a new bush. Well guess what? That was 3 weeks ago and the dead plant is still there. What they call builder's white paint is a farce. It is all chalky and if you run into it and make a mark it will not come out. I had to paint my entire house with decent paint. I also replaced my toilet in the MB because I wanted a comfort height toilet and they would not put one in unless I had a medical disability. Not even if I were going to pay them extra.

I have purchased many new homes, this is my 4th brand new one and one I bought resale. Never have I had as many issues as this house. They put in a gas line for the dryer and did not leave enough room to put the washer beside it. They had to come out, after 40 days, I might add to move the line to the center of the wall. Many other issues so just save yourself the time and aggravation.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

When Hurricane Harvey hit the coast I incurred water damage in my home (they were NOT able to identify where it actually came from). Initially DR Horton denied responsibility for the damage even though it was a workmanship issue. I had five different DR Horton reps come by my home all of which provided separate scenarios as to what happened. They denied the claim and said they reserve the right to attribute the damage as storm related. They told me to file with my insurance who is also DR Horton, they are 200 times worse than the builder. They don't return calls and have so many excuses as to why they can't and don't call back in a timely manner.

When they finally call back and go over details they can't explain reasoning. I purchased a cabinet for $856.96 in July which was damaged by the roof leaking and the event occurred in August, they said that it had depreciated in value to $300. I have called many times since September to resolve and we are now in November with NO resolution. I will NEVER BUILD WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN NOR WILL I RECOMMEND THE INSURANCE COMPANY. I have NEVER filed an insurance claim on any home that I have owned and this is by far the WORSE EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I purchased my home in spring of 2015 and now after two and half years, I am convinced that DR Horton's building material is complete junk. Within two months of moving into my new home, I was already submitting orders for repairs. In less than a year, I began having issues with the electricity. My kitchen fuses kept losing power and the breaker kept dropping in the outside electric panel. After having a professional look at it and take the cover off, we saw the wiring for the kitchen breaker burnt and melted! In the living area, I had switched out the light bulbs for brighter and energy efficient bulbs. But after a couple weeks, they began to blink and then completely turn off!

My garage doors do not work anymore. The plastic on the side of the garage door is bending off. My exterior walls have cracks in them. And on and on. It is becoming expensive to keep up with all these repairs for a new home just two and half years old! I understand problems happen sometimes, and every builder will have some bad reviews. But these guys just really deserve the low rating they have. I personally take care of my belongings so I will reject any blaming against the homeowner’s maintenance. If you’re looking for quality, then avoid DR Horton! Buying a used home over a DR Horton home might even be cheaper in terms of repairs.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I'm writing this review hoping that someone from the DR Horton corporate office who cares about this company can answer my question: Why is it possible when your closing date is in less than a month, nobody from Dr Horton (sales agent, manager, area manager) would take us to take a look at the house that we about to purchase, so we can see how it looks like, how the construction goes. We don't get any updates about what's going on with the house. They never took us to take a look at what we are about to purchase!!! We've been having this issue since the beginning with the sales agent and we complained so many times to the area manager But nothing has changed. I assume this is the way Dr Horton is tearing their future homeowners, WITH INDIFFERENCE!!!! The worst customer service experience ever!!! So curious if someone from the corporate office will replay or everybody is careless in DR Horton company.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

The reason for my review is to warn other home buyers away from DR Horton. Being new to SC, I've never seen "swales" in landscaping to control water run off from one's property. I have complained to the Warranty Department of DR Horton about the location of this "swale" in relation to the patio and proposed screen room (Both additions to existing home layout). I am told that according to SC building code, it has to be 10 feet from the foundation. However, the patio and screen room could not have been accounted for even though this was a known addition from the start of the project. I have requested to have the yard re-graded and basically I am being ignored and laughed at and was asked the question "why did you close if it was a problem?" strike it up to being naive and trusting of such a well-known company.

The pictures below are of both the beginning of the project and the end. There are ruts in the "Swale" due to over watering and mowing... this is not my complaint... looking at the original picture, there is nothing to indicate they would grade the yard to have a hill and then a swale. I am totally disgusted with the yard and experience sadness and anger every time I look at it.

DR Horton Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

D.R. Horton Homes is a family-owned construction business that started building homes in the Dallas/Fort Worth area more than 35 years ago. It’s now the largest homebuilder in the United States.​

• National powerhouse: D.R. Horton Homes builds houses in 26 states ranging from New Jersey to Florida and California to Washington—and Hawaii, too.

• Many different model homes available: D.R. Horton provides potential owners with model homes of various sizes that are placed in distinct communities to give people a greater sense of their options.

• Help with mortgage process: Once a buyer has chosen a home plan, DHI Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of D.R. Horton Homes, can help buyers secure financing for a mortgage.

• Well-known company: D.R. Horton has been in business since 1978 and has won many awards in the homebuilding industry. It has been ranked the Number One homebuilder by Builder magazine every year since 2002.

• Website offers help with the whole process: On the company’s website, prospective buyers can access the homeowners’ portal to learn everything they need to know about purchasing a custom-built home.

• Best for: D.R. Horton Homes is best for highly independent people, budget-minded buyers and people who want to choose customized features.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
    Joseph Truini

Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

DR Horton Homes Company Information

www.drhorton.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use