Call toll free
4.34/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LGI Homes builds homes with not only great, lasting value, but at great prices. Our homes are conveniently located in family-friendly communities, that are not only safe, but are rich in amenities like playgrounds, trails, community sporting areas, and even fishing lakes. At LGI Homes, we don’t just build a house, we create the ideal homes for families. Whether this is your very first home or the fifth, LGI Homes will turn your dream home into a reality. Contact us today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

772 LGI Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I picked a new home over the older homes as the prices were almost close, and then building was insured. The way that the older homes were built is like very small rooms and very small space, I didn’t want any of those. I liked these LGI new homes and the location, the way that they're built, and the background through the windows. I also like the way that they build the kitchen, they weren't cheap on it. I like the cabinets, countertops, and also the carpet. It's a good quality home and this is what we expected. It's located in a family-oriented community and it's pretty safe. I love walking there outside the place. There are more buildings that LGI is building nearby over my local group and they were pretty good.

The consultant told us about the schools and shops that are nearby. He was a clever guy, always smiling, and always helpful. I was most impressed with the way that he was speaking to us, his customer service. He was nice, and I could tell that he was smart for the sale and familiar with the buildings that they were selling. Any kind of building that I was asking, he was right there and showing it to me, and that’s what I liked about him. The only negative thing that I could mention was that I wish they would have painted the walls. For new home buyers, there's a lot of stuff you don’t notice. I wish he would have told us that we could paint it as there was no paint. He explained for us that later, if other concerns will come, they will guide us, show us more and tell us more about the building, roofing, floorings, and stuff. But working with him was pretty comfortable. Overall, I'm very happy and satisfied. I will recommend LGI Homes.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

We moved into our new home at Honey Farms TN earlier this summer. We were in a rush to find a home because of a new job I had started in the area. As the months go by I am noticing more and more things that I am not happy with. Here are a few things. The garage is not painted, bare drywall, cheap light bulb for lighting. Builders grade cheap vinyl flooring in kitchen and bathrooms. It ripped easily when moving the refrigerator. Cheap press board countertops. Cheap builders grade carpet. Cheap builders grade appliances. Cheap light fixtures throughout the home. Poor drywall finishing. Poor finish carpentry. Poor finish painting. The yard was crabgrass, told it was just seeded. Creaking and popping floors upstairs. Constant sediment in the toilets.

When the crew of painters came to fix my "hit list" after closing, they painted the light fixtures, mirror, shower enclosure, and scratched the master bathroom mirror. It was not scratched when the first walkthrough was made. Made a warranty request to fix a cracked window, it has now cracked the whole length of window. Still waiting since October to hear when they will fix it under warranty. I am being honest about all of this. If I had paid more attention to the craftsmanship I would not have purchased a home here. I guess pride in craftsmanship is a thing of the past.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

LGI Homes was what the wife wanted so I went with it. Their rep was very good. He was very professional and he made us feel right at home. The quality of the build was excellent and it’s everything we want in a home. The community is very nice and it has a lot of good amenities. It’s been a real blessing living in our new home. The experience was very good and we are very happy with LGI Homes.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We went into LGI just to see what they had to offer. We couldn't even see inside a home until our credit was ran and we were pre approved. That should have been my first clue!! I have a lot school loans so the salesman Ben told us to finance in my husband's name only. We started the process and thought all was going well. We visited the house several times and they handed us "the keys to our house" to measure rooms and even water a tree. We are told to give our apartment the 60 day notice because we will be in our new home for Christmas.

Then we get a random call to come in the office. We are told my husband makes too much for zero down and we now need $8,000 dollars to close. We scramble to get it together under pressure but we pulled it off. We get to what we believe is closing day to be told the underwriter noticed my name on our joint bank statements and we need to start over with both of us on financing. After starting the process again our calls were avoided and no one has any answers. Everyone plays like they didn't know why this happen but everyone was in on this. They have no morals at all. Avoid the entire company. After reading these reviews here I realized I dodged a bullet by not buying a $225,000 crappy house. Let's see how long it takes us to get our earnest money back.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I liked the house that I was shown at LGI. Their reps showed me around the neighborhood as well. They have a playground and a pool there. Everything went okay when I spoke to the reps. They took in the initiative of what I wanted in my house and I was really comfortable working with them. I recommend LGI Homes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Overall an unpleasant experience. I was first pressured to put $1000 down on "the best lot" because it was being listed the next day. I wasn't aware that "the best lot" was actually the shortest lot of them all and had a drainage ditch in the back, the reason why it was a shorter lot. LGI righted a wrong and let me change lots. I thought I was getting the lot and the house I always wanted. What a joke!!!

Come to find out they changed the floor plan of the master bathroom and never disclosed this information with me. The bathroom was a major deciding factor when choosing two different floor plans. They won't change it back or give me money back either. I also had to drive 70 miles, over 1 hour, with a 3 year old to cancel my contract. The cancellation paperwork was ONE page long. When I asked why it couldn't be sent to me I was told, "I don't make the rules". So basically if you live out of state or are traveling you would have to make a special trip for this.

I was shown another lot, which I couldn't afford. Be aware of the buildings structure. The home I was shown was completed end of October and already had cracks and separation. They also refuse to give me my $1000 back even though they are in the wrong and even their website had the incorrect floor plan up. I was told they couldn't change the bathroom back because it would make other people mad but yet they also have 6 other people lined up for that house.

Oh and they don't care about their people, if that isn't apparent yet, and their customer service is subpar. I mentioned the appraisal had something about a flood zone over a month ago and yet no one looked at it, until I threatened to walk of course!!! Do not purchase from LGI and especially the LGI homes in Northpointe Crossing at Anna. Btw my agent was Donna.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My experience with LGI Homes has been good. The rep that I worked with was very nice and friendly. I didn't feel that she was very pushy or aggressive to make a sale. She took time to sit down and ask us what we were looking for, what was our interest as a family. She showed us all options, what was better fit into our financial need, what would work better for us and what we wanted physically. She did a very good job with us. It’s a good house, it’s nice. However, you can tell that they were rushed. After we moved in, we had a lot of little details that we had to get fixed. But they took care of everything in a timely manner too.

There were areas that weren’t painted and none of the primer paint were sealed. So, if you rub your jeans on it, it’ll stain the wall blue. And if you try to wipe it off, the white finish comes off because it’s not sealed. Their explanation was that they only sealed the bathrooms and not the rest of the house. But just like a lot of painting, a lot of trimming, moldings, the caulking was done very quick, there were a lot of gaps. The grout and tile work also looked like everything was placed quickly. They didn’t get to do it nicely. But we did mark everything and contact them, and they did have different people come out and fix the different touch-ups.

I've moved around various states and then finally having somewhere to settle down, it’s nice just to know that it’s our home and we’re the first ones in it. We got to choose what we wanted and they built it for us, and it’s nice. I know they were on a time crunch to get them done, but I would love to have the actual workers out there take a little more time and pride into their work. That way, they don’t have to be getting all the callbacks on all the little flaws that weren’t completed properly. The LGI community is nice. Right now, we just have a few neighbors. None too closer because we are the first ones on the block. But it’s nice to have a neighborhood park there down the street from where we are.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I liked the layout of LGI Homes. Their rep, Marcus, was excellent. He was friendly, he listened and he had all the answers. He knew the homes inside and out. Every nook, cranny, special thing about them and he was not pushy. I absolutely love the quality of the build. There’s not many people on my side but the community is great. It’s nice to be settled in and it’s nice to know that the house is mine. I had a great experience.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I first heard about LGI through a realtor and visited on a couple of the locations where they had some of the builds. I figured that a new home will be a lot easier to handle than an older home 'cause just in case an older home has any problems, I can't fix it myself. I liked the layout and how the house looked so that drew my attention. I purchased from Wynn that was acquired by LGI. The home consultant was great, very patient, she listened very well and gave me advice.

Right now, LGI did a crossover. I'm having a little bit of issues getting some of my works fixed properly and on time. They have a couple of things that needed to be repaired in a sense and that wasn’t really completed when I initially moved in, so I'm just waiting for that to be done. That is the only problem I have with it. I'm giving them a little time to get everything situated. But I love the quality of the build and everything is great so far. The neighborhood is brand new, it's just a few neighbors right now so I'm still waiting for the rest to move in. The whole environment is pretty nice, so I enjoy it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My brother was impressed with LGI Homes and I heard about them from him. At the time I was looking at homes, one of theirs was available and I needed something right away. At LGI, I had a great customer service rep. Though there were a lot of hidden fees that I didn't know about, everything went well once everything was laid out and explained to me. What I got was a nice build overall and I'm pleased. Living there has been better than living in an apartment. The entire team at LGI has been awesome. The consultant, loan processor and the builders all did an outstanding job.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

LGI Homes had a program going on to move in for zero down. They were supposed to defer the payment for two months but we only got one-month deferred. They did everything they said they would in a timely manner. The build of the house seems basic. There were no extras like doorbell and cable in all of the rooms. I would have liked to have at least a telephone and cable hookup in the rooms. The community is good, our neighbors are all nice but it is a little far from everything. It’s out here by itself and everything is at least 15 miles away, so that part is inconvenient. Nonetheless, it was a great experience overall.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I wanted a new house and a friend of mine told me about LGI Homes. The community is nice and quiet. However, the tree box that they put by the back door has a lot of insect and I just spray it off. Nonetheless, their reps were courteous.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

LGI Homes has a home already built and I didn't have to wait 6 or 8 months to have it built. I had a real estate website and I was going through my website one day when one of the homes in the area that I bought my home came up. So, I went down and talked to the folks down here and made a deal, and it was a top-notch shop. Every question I had was answered in an honest and friendly way. They didn't pull any punches or try to hide anything and were very easy to talk to. The professionalism that they showed me was excellent, which is what most consumers look for. The house is great too. They could've done a better job on prepping the house for sale as far as little dings here and there. But other than that, it was a very good design. I love the house and I'm gonna completely recommend LGI Homes.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I just recently made my 1st home purchase & LGI did an incredible job from start to closing. Very helpful people & personable as well. If you’re in a situation that requires help to get things done these people will assist & help in every way - I honestly couldn’t be happier with their service and product.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Purchasing a home with LGI Homes was something that we fell into. We had seen something about zero down payment and they took care of everything. So it was really for the financial aspect of it and everything was really easy. In fact, it was much simpler than I thought. You’re buying a home so obviously there’s paperwork involved. But they were upfront about what we needed to do, what we needed from them and what to do. So the process was fast. Brandon was a super friendly guy too. He was very honest and upfront. Also, he wasn’t overaggressive or pushy. He made us feel comfortable.

I like the community. But these are lower-end homes with no money down so you get what you get there. You also get low-end fixtures. But that’s based on the value of the home and overall, the quality of the home is fine. They do things really well with the foundation of the home and the HVAC's real nice. They're nice new homes with a warranty on it. So I would definitely recommend LGI Homes to other people. And I actually have.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

LGI Homes' new builds were more appealing to me. The structure of foundation was basically what got me. They said they were tying up the cables underneath and that it was easier for them to do the foundation for floating. Their reps were very helpful. As a matter of fact, even today, they're still helpful with me. I just hope that they'd have a bit more education on what they're selling. Other than that, they're top-notch and they respond promptly. The community and amenities that they offer are nice and I like it. I'm satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

Old homes always have so many problems. Then on Facebook, I liked what LGI has to offer and I felt very comfortable working with my consultant. The representatives were always great when I went there and they made sure they helped me in the areas that I needed help in. They walked me through the whole process, stayed in contact with me through each process, and that made a lot of difference. They didn't take long, maybe a couple of hours, to get back to me with what I needed. I will recommend them to anybody. Even more, I've only been here in my new house a little while, but I love it. I like everything including the design and the way it was made. We're satisfied so far with the new home community we live in as well. LGI is very good, mindful, thoughtful and considerate.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

San Antonio, Texas LGI HOMES, Talise De Culebra location. Reps had only floor plans to show you in a binder, on paper, which we could easily do ourselves on the online site. Inventory homes from my experience today will not be shown to you until you get your credit pulled or talk to the finance/loan department. No money down. Sure is a good advertising thing but what will a consumer see? Where's the actual product? We made it to our 9 AM Saturday appointment, and was informed by another rep that the actual representative we were meeting was not even there. Was told he was tied up at another location. How can you make a specific appointment, and not personally be there to meet someone?

We just made it at the office where 5 employees were just showing binders and their 6 step process to other people, including us. We wanted to see an actual home on our visit, and see how it is built or what the builder offers. Pretty much all you can see is a paper floor plan, list of what they put in it, and that's it, again in a binder. You don't get to see the house in person. Decided to just leave, and be cordial about the experience. I am however leaving this review for other consumers or prospective home buyers thinking of visiting your company.

Basically you can't just walk in and look at a house. Sure everyone's credit and finances are important, but is this the new way to treat a potential buyer? Basically got the, "If you can't afford it or if you don't even qualify for it, why would I bother, waste my time showing you the house feedback from the rep." We were just looking for a house that could possibly be ours.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I always wanted to be in my own home and LGI Homes was willing to give me a chance. It was time and with my bankruptcy, LGI Homes was a better choice for me. And they were really reliable for me. They kept in touch and let me know what I needed and what I need to do. The representative I worked with knew exactly what I needed to do and she didn't waste any time asking me to get it done. Stayed on top of it. Right now, there are three of us in the community so it is great and quiet. The quality of the home is nice too. There were some minor things like how you might miss a spot in painting but they’ve come right back in and fixed it up. Overall, we had a wonderful experience with LGI Homes. It was real nice and I’d recommend them to a friend. I would tell him that LGI Homes is his best bet.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

We had dealt with other companies but we would never hear back from them. In comparison, Ashley at LGI Homes was great. She was very informative. She showed us the home and answered all of the questions that we had. Then she kept in touch throughout the process and offered for us to come out and see our home. The process was kind of seamless too. By kind of, I mean it was seamless but of course, buying a home is a very stressful process in itself.

Right now, we don’t have so many neighbors and the community is quiet. But we love it. We don't have streetlights and the neighbors keep the lights on. We had minor issues with the home though. There was something wrong with the water and sewer line but they did come out, inspect it and fix the issue even though it was our problem. There was also a hole on our washing machine. It was messed up and it started leaking through. But the plumber came out, tested the pipes and got it fixed for us. Overall, the build quality of the home is great.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

LGI Homes was one of the decisions from my wife and I was pretty happy with them. At the time, she was scrolling through Pinterest or YouTube and she saw LGI Homes. She brought it up to me and we ran with it. Some of the agents were a bit of jerks but the one we worked with and the corporation as a whole were very good. If you are gonna purchase a new home, I would most definitely recommend the agent we worked with and LGI as a home builder. The agent was excellent and I've recommended him to all of my friends as well.

They had an answer for any question that I had or they figured it out. The process was also pretty much self-explanatory and see-through. If I had an issue or a question, I brought it up and they either fixed it or told me why it was that way. There were no masks. There was nobody trying to get over on the next person. Being in my age and my job, I loved it because straightforward is always the best way to work. They let me know if this was for me or if it wasn’t and I let them know if it was for me or if it wasn’t. In terms of the home itself, I can definitely tell they rushed a few things but there are not too many things that have come up to my attention. I like the overall quality and I’m very happy. We’re satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I like the floor plans of LGI homes and the home consultant was very good. He was friendly and knowledgeable. He answered all my questions and we really like him. But I had never bought a house and I didn't know about the doorbell or the garage door opener. I didn't realize the doorbell wasn't included. It's something you don't think about when you're looking at your new house. Maybe, when you're spending that much money, you don't always pay attention. But that aside, the quality of the build is pretty good. We just moved in this weekend so we're noticing a few little things. But they were very responsive. The contractor told us to make a little list of anything that we need fixed and they would take care of it. So I'm confident that they will. I also like the community so far. I'm hoping it would stay that way.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

LGI Homes is very good at selling you the property but when it comes time to fix problems that they are responsible for they are horrible. I would not recommend this builder to anyone. All smiles from the sales crew but the warranty department is horrible to deal with and drags the reputation of the entire company way down.

LGI Homes response

Hi William,

We are sorry to hear you've been having problems with your new home. Are you sure that LGI is the correct builder? We've cross referenced your Consumer Affairs records (name, phone number and email) in our database and can't find anything associated.

Would you mind sending us the name on the contract as well as your closing date so we can look into this? Also, your warranty claim number would be helpful as well.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was looking into a house made by some other builder that was cheaper but I went with LGI Homes. The home consultant was great and was very comfortable to work with. The house looked like it had more quality than the other one. It looks very well-built and I like the community. So far, everything has been great although we've been having a little problem with the AC.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I first heard about LGI Homes in Houston. It was something I looked into, but at the time I couldn't do it and I wasn't ready for it. But I remembered about it and I looked up where they were located. The location at the Luckey Ranch was the most perfect for me. I purchased a new home and it was nothing but good with their reps. There were some hiccups but we got them figured out. And they were very professional and very courteous. They really wanted to help me and kept in contact with me at all times. Whenever I needed a question answered, they would answer it.

The build was a little rushed but it's really good quality. Also, the community is still growing. But so far, I've met my neighbors and they're pretty cool. I've met a lot of people at the parks that are built there. And I'm very satisfied with the amenities. Living in our new home really calms things down. It's a little bit easier knowing that everything I do is mine and I have a lot more freedom.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

The guy that helped me at LGI was really easy to work with and he kept me updated every day. I liked that about him. Also, if I had a question, I called or messaged him and he was quick to message or call me back. I was very comfortable working with him and whenever I had to show up there, I showed up and he was always there. LGI's reps were quick to address anything I needed help with and their process was straightforward. It took a month to a month and a half to complete. Plus, the quality of the home I got from them is great. It looks good and I really like the house. I don’t think I’d change anything about it. I like the amenities offered in the community as well. So far, everything’s working good with LGI.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

In the area that we were looking in, it seemed like there was a lot of inflation on used houses. The prices were pretty high for houses that have been lived in, that needed updating or to be repaired. So, when we were on our way home from booking one weekend, we saw LGI and decided to drop by. There was a house for sale in the neighborhood and we weren't really considering a new build because I wanted some land. But when we compared the prices and how nice the homes looked, and the fact that they wouldn't need any repairs and modifications, we went ahead and bought from LGI.

We also had home warranties and we liked the idea of a new neighborhood being put together. Plus, we really liked the sense of a new home as well as a new community with families in there. LGI's community was gonna be great for our kids growing up, too, because in the park, there's a pool, volleyball, and street bikes. Plus, some of the other neighborhoods were older and didn't have as many kids or as many built houses in the area as LGI.

When we applied, Cindy was our consultant and we had a great experience with her. On the day we dropped by LGI's office, we sat in and she asked us if we were interested. Then she opened up the book and showed us some of the builds, options, and the neighborhood. She seemed like she had been doing it for a long time. LGI's reps then showed us the area, its benefits and qualities, as well as the amenities in the facility. We were already pre-qualified before we even went in, so that sounded like the next step. Then they walked us through to a couple of the houses. They were incredibly friendly and they answered any questions that we had or brought us to the right person that could answer those questions. We decided to buy the second house we looked at and we really liked it a lot. My wife and I looked at each other and even if I didn't say a word, I knew it was the right home for us.

During the application process, Cindy was also able to answer any sort of questions we had, or if she didn't have the answer immediately, she'd call us back within a couple of days and let us know. She knew the ins and outs and she was perfect. Other than that, I'm really impressed with the house we bought. We liked the finishes where it's sort of standard across the board and not necessarily open for upgrades because that would allow us to add our own touches. We might not have liked the upgrade option, so we liked that we have flexibility in the future when we're ready to do that.

So far, living in our new home has been great for many different reasons. It's closer to my work and we like the yard since we have a dog. We love the neighborhood as well. It seems very safe with five blocks of streetlight and it seems like it's gonna be a tight-knit community. So, we're stress-free. We have recommended LGI to a couple of family members and a friend.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I googled homes with zero down and I found LGI. I liked the price of their houses so I went and bought a new build home from them. At the time, I was living in Austin and even the older homes there were more expensive than this new home that I got. So, I was concentrating on the price of the house because that would affect the price of my mortgage.

I worked with Sarah at LGI and she was a really good person. On our first contact when I called, she set an appointment for me. Then our next contact was when we actually met. She was very friendly, very informative, and extremely patient. But when it came to underwriting, LGI would ask for some documents then later, they’d say they needed more. They weren't upfront about what they were going to need like the fact that I had to pay up my credit card. At the beginning of the process, they already knew I had a balance on my credit card but that wasn’t brought up until after so many documents had been provided.

Then at the end, they said that this and that needed to be done. So I would’ve felt a little more happier if they told me everything that needed to be known upfront than after I was already way into the process. A little more clarification in terms of what would be needed or what could possibly happen along the line would have been great. Other than that, LGI's reps were excellent and very helpful. They were also the most patient people I’ve ever worked with. When I had some technical issues in going online and how to provide some statements, their rep walked me through the process. I don’t now if that was part of her job description but I don't know that a lot of people would do that. And if there was anything I needed to do that I didn’t know how to find it, they would tell me I could get it from my bank or my job.

In addition, I like the quality of the home that I got from LGI. It’s good. During my inspection, there were a few things here and there that I didn’t notice but I brought it to their attention after I closed and they’ve already put in a request. So they’re willing to come and take a look at it. In fact, I still talk to my sales consultant if I need something in the community and I don’t know who and where to call. I'd call the office and ask for her, then she would jump on it immediately and tell me what to do or who to talk to.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

LGI Homes is doing false advertising. Their advertisement says the home comes with over $10,000 in upgraded appliances. But they're the crappiest appliances I've ever seen. There was a regular refrigerator with just a top door freezer, a plain stove that doesn't even have a self-cleaning oven, and a dishwasher that won't even dry the dishes, even though you hit "dry". We bought our own refrigerator and put the other one out in the garage. There's not even one ceiling fan in this house. It's the cheapest light fixtures I've ever seen in my life.

They're cheap-built homes, but I expected a little more help when I had a complaint. it doesn't seem like anybody gives a flying rat's rear about whether you're having issues with your home or not once you're in it. We got three bedrooms, two baths, two-car garage, but we don't have grass in the backyard. We're paying $180,000 for this home but the garage barely fits two cars. The windows of our Malibu have to be pushed sideways, so that we can get in the other car. We also had to put in a garage door opener because it doesn't come with it.

You can barely set a bed in the two extra bedrooms. There's not even a patio and they just built a cement step. Now they're starting to put slabs out there because customers have asked for it. Also, they're starting to put in granite countertops. They've got the cheapest countertops I've ever seen. There's no backsplash in the kitchen. But that's all left up to the homeowner. The builder cut every cost possible.

You also have to put in your own gutters. They put some kind of stupid stuff right out front in your walkway that all it does is hold the water out by your front door. It drains the water to your front door. I love the neighborhood and my neighbors are all very nice, but everybody's got the same complaints. You come into a house and you expect to have shades in it, and they're only gonna put a shade up in the front of the house. The rest of it is your responsibility. The house doesn't even come with a doorbell. Also, they put flat paint that you can't wash throughout the entire house. They said they did that to make it easier for us if we wanna repaint our home. If I could have bought my manufactured home, it would have been built a lot better than this home.

I wanted carpet because these are spec homes, so you can't change anything in them until after you buy it. I had to have the carpet tore out, and used the same company that puts in the flooring for LGI Homes. But right now, I'm disputing my charge because they ruined every wall in my house. The company installed the flooring on a Friday, and I moved in on a Saturday to inches of dust all over my house. They told us that they were not a remodeling company, and they did it as a favor.

The people finally came out and looked at what I told them because the flooring company damaged my living room linoleum that they didn't even have to touch. They looked at it the other day and I was supposed to hear from the guy yesterday. Granted yesterday was a holiday, so I'm giving him that, but I haven't heard from them today. All I've asked is to have the $250 reimbursed to me that it cost to have my walls painted and touched up.

Two days after we said we would buy the house, the price dropped down. They told us that in October 1st, they would raise the price $3,000 to $5,000. I happened to go onto a website and found it had dropped by $1,000. I immediately let them know because I'm not paying $180,000 for a $175,000 house. The salesman was a nice guy and he gave a good sales pitch at the office. But we've done nothing but sink money into this house since we got here.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I received a postcard from LGI in the mail and I found the price of their houses to be reasonable. So, I called their number and their salesperson called me back a couple of days later. He asked me some questions and at the time, I wasn’t looking to buy a house but I was kind of interested. He told me to see him and that we’d just talk and see what they had. He wasn’t pressuring me or anything but he encouraged me to sit down, talk with them, and see what the best option would be.

I saw a couple of houses there at the property and I wasn’t anticipating in buying one that day but it happened. They gave me a check list of everything to come back with the loan officer and I followed that. The loan officer was amazing, too. She explained everything to me when I signed the paperwork and assured me that she would be able to take care of me if I had any questions. Then she let me know when the closing date was. So the salesperson and the loan officer explained everything to me and they didn’t keep any secrets. They were honest with me and let me know everything to expect and what to bring. There was an orientation as well after I closed where I was shown everything about the house, the maintenance I had to do, and where everything was. I wasn’t expecting that and it took about an hour but that was really nice.

As a first time homeowner, I didn't have any experience with home ownership and I heard from other people about how long the process takes and all the going back and forth. But everyone at LGI was great and they made the process really seamless. From the time I looked at the house to the date I closed, it was less than 30 days and I couldn't believe how fast it was. I had to put down with the loan program that I qualified for, which was through the US Department of Agriculture, and I was so surprised that I was able to get approved for it because of my limited income. Plus, I didn’t have to put down a down payment other than a $1,000 deposit to hold the house, and I didn’t have to pay for closing cost or the loan officer fees. I'm sure they were included in the price of the house but by doing that, LGI made things more simple and a lot easier.

As for the house I got, it pretty much has what I would want as I’m a single person with a dog. It has two-bedrooms, two baths, and one car garage. Most houses like mine around here in the Tampa Bay area are either a mobile home or are 30 years old or older, which is okay. But I wanted a house where I had peace of mind that I could move-in ready, that it didn’t require work or that the air conditioner or roof needs to be replaced. So, it’s difficult to find brand new small houses, unless it’s a mobile home which I wanna stay away from, or a condo or a townhouse which I didn't want because I didn’t wanna pay anything extra on top of a mortgage or an insurance every month for that.

All in all, I bought an inventory home so I wasn’t able to pick out anything but I’m satisfied with it. However, if I was having it built, I would not have carpet and just have all hard floors. My dog sheds everywhere, so I have to vacuum clean. Other than that, the house is in a street with some other new houses and LGI is in the process of building some more. So, as long as everyone keeps up their properties nice the community will be good.

LGI Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

LGI Homes has been building new home communities since 2002. Their goal is to provide homeowners across the United States with homes of great value at affordable prices. The company also employs a team of home buying professionals to help new homebuyers through the process of buying a house. Choose from multiple modern floor plans and customization options.

• Home finder: LGI’s home finder feature lets visitors select a state, city and LGI development within each city to view available homes and floorplans. Each available home has an estimated monthly cost and visitors can call for a quote on new floorplans.

• LGI warranty: LGI offers a 10-year, structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most other components on their homes. Homeowners can submit a warranty service request online by logging into their site and filling out a request form.

• LGI Active Adult communities: LGI’s Active Adult communities are built around and within close proximity to a city's main features. Active Adult communities are near entertainment and sporting venues, airports, colleges and universities as well as golf courses, hiking and biking trails and tennis courts.

• Energy efficiency: LGI focuses on energy efficient homes, especially homes located in the hottest part of the United States. By using reliable products from insulation to heating and cooling systems, and energy efficient appliances, LGI Homes can reduce energy bills by up to 30 percent.

• Realtors: LGI Homes has built relationships with real estate professionals that know their floorplans and communities well, and can connect customers to one of their realtors based on the region they are interested in. Realtors can also keep interested buyers updated on promotions and special offers through email updates.

• Best for: homebuyers who want to build a home or buy a home in a great community.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

LGI Homes Company Information