It's that easy Request Information
4.06/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LGI Homes builds homes with not only great, lasting value, but at great prices. Our homes are conveniently located in family-friendly communities, that are not only safe, but are rich in amenities like playgrounds, trails, community sporting areas, and even fishing lakes. At LGI Homes, we don’t just build a house, we create the ideal homes for families. Whether this is your very first home or the fifth, LGI Homes will turn your dream home into a reality. Contact us today!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

951 LGI Homes Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

We put in an offer on a previously built, occupied home within Sherman Hills of LGI and it was rejected, and they did not lower their price. So, as we were driving around the development that we were looking at, we were seeing signs saying, "$1,000 down" and so we went in there and talk to them to see what it was all about. When we sat down with one of the sales representatives for LGI and they walked us through the process of everything, we decided to go more on the newbuilt route than buying a previously occupied home due to the fact that it was basically the exact same thing, but everything was gonna be brand stinking new, not lived in, whereas the previous house where we put an offer in, we were gonna have to replace the carpets and the normal wear and tear things. Also, it was more financially beneficial for us to deal with a newbuilt home.

When we went to LGI, we started working with a gentleman whose name is Sammy and we have nothing but great things to say about him. He didn't try to just sell us a home. He talked to us about the company itself, how not only did they have high standard, but one of their mission statements was based on integrity. And when there was a conversation about a Realtor that we were working with who misrepresented themselves, we were talking about how he was gonna wind up getting a commission off of this when he didn't do anything, Sammy said, "He still worked with you. We're not gonna take her off. That's part of our integrity and our professionalism." And just because he followed through with what the core values were made us wanna work with LGI.

Our home consultant, Nick, was wonderful. He worked his tail off for us. He basically said, "It's not if you're gonna move in, it's when you're gonna move in." And so, it being my husband and I's first home, we had a lot of, "Oh, my gosh. Are we doing the right thing?" type of insecurity just because we were scared of this being a new venture in our lives, and Nick was able to basically talk me off the ledge on everything. He assured me that everything would be all right.

I loved the communication. We would text and call each other. There was also constant information about the process that not only that our loan was in, but what the stage of the house was in. I really appreciated that and it made me respect the company as a whole more just because I didn't have to chase them. They were contacting me letting me know that even though they talked to me yesterday, this is what's happening today. Even if there was nothing to tell me, they would say that they're still working on it and I respected that as an organization.

The quality of the build was amazing. My parents build a home 25-plus years ago and there were issues where my mom actually had to take over like a construction manager. She was out at the property every single day, if something was wrong, forcing them to fix it, and I didn't have to do that. They knew their job. Even after we moved in and there were a few things that happened, I made one phone call and they said they would have someone out the following day. And when they sent someone out to correct the issue, it was with high professionalism, accuracy of job, detail and quick response. They are definitely a 5-plus in my book. It was very informative, inviting, reassuring experience. All around I was well cared for.

LGI Homes response

Tabatha, thank you for trusting our team to help you achieve the dream of homeownership. We couldn’t agree with you more about the benefits of new construction. Congratulations and enjoy your stunning NEW LGI home!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

It was a little difficult with LGI in the beginning. We did all the paperwork with the first house that we chose. A week before we went to closing, the house got broken in, and then it got kind of trashed, so we weren't able to close on that house. We were new to San Antonio, and we didn’t have a real estate agent. We didn’t look at too many places in the beginning. But when that incident happened we started looking elsewhere. But they weren't offering to help us right away like LGI was. And then some of the other builders we looked at, wasn’t too happy with the quality of the appliances they were offering. Some of the upgrades that they had that LGI didn’t have, it wasn’t really a necessity.

LGI has the kind of finished building and the exact same house on the same block but a little further down. So we went ahead and chose that house. Overall, instead of purchasing the home within three months, it took us six months. It was a little frustrating, but it had nothing to do with us or them. It was just because the house got broken into.

There was an elderly man and a young man with LGI that do the walkthrough and the elderly man was very rude. I did not like him. With the first house, he was rushing us through to do the walkthrough. And he said I would not able to leave unless he got a signature. I was glad we didn’t sign on that home because I wanted him to fix the things that I brought to his attention before I would sign anything. And then, unfortunately, the house got trashed. That man was very rude, and I didn’t like some of the comments that he was throwing out about the representative.

The rep that was helping my husband and I, Ben, worked very hard in assisting us to making it right. He helped us through the whole process and was easily available. And if he didn’t know the answer, he would call back within a few minutes with it or the next day with an answer. There were little things in this new house that needed to be done. But Ben went out of his way to assist us. My husband is diagnosed with brain cancer, so he cannot do a lot. He's terminal. Ben was very compassionate with our situation. The LGI team as well really understood, so they went beyond their efforts to really assist us in getting our new home.

However, the thermostat in the home has also been a challenge. It's very difficult for my husband. I always feel a draft coming in the home. I don't know where that draft is coming from so that, including the toilet seat that pops off, could be improved. The wasn’t very pleasant. But overall, I cannot say the whole team was like that because our representative, again, was really great.

I also got to meet the owner. He was pretty much a man of his word because when we first went to get a look at the house and we put our earnest money down, he had quoted us one price. And when they were drafting up the contract, I said, “Wait. Y’all changed the price, and I'm not in agreement with that.” So the representative called the builder, and he said, “No. I remember talking to this family, and yes, go ahead and mark it as this price that I'm selling the home.” So he made it right.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We have friends that live down the street from us and LGI Homes is one of the first places that they recommended for us. When we came out and saw the place, we liked this particular home which had an open floor plan and was like something that we were accustomed to in Hawaii. The area was quiet and we fell in love with it. We looked around all of Texas to figure out what we wanted but we ended back up at the first place we looked up at LGI.

We love the house, the way it looks and feels and we love being in it. But there were some things that were done in the process and it seemed like it was a bunch of unsupervised actions by contractors for a house that cost almost $450,000. When we first moved in, the sink had a leak but they fixed it. We also had scratches on the mirror in the hall bathroom which they also fixed. Then we had a sewer problem. We moved in on the 21st and during that week, the hall bathroom was having a problem with flushing. My wife ended up plunged in a bathroom in our master bedroom and when she did that, we had sewage come back up underneath our tub.

Once I put the work order in and a plumber came over, they snaked the house but couldn't figure out what it was. They dug up the front yard and found that the pipe that connects the outgoing water and waste was not attached to the ongoing pipe that takes it out of the neighborhood. It was later fixed but then it was a long process. It was very discouraging and these were things that should have been done right the first time.

Also, the sod in the front lawn was uneven because it wasn't rolled. As I looked around the neighborhood, I saw a lot of other people's lawn that looked the same way but I hoped that it was not the standard that they just throw the sod out there and hope it fits in over time. The majority of the doors in the house weren't matched up, too so they wouldn't lock. Ours is up or down and it won't go into the center of the strike plate. I had to have a lot of readjustments because it seemed that the contractors were in a hurry and there was no attention to detail to that.

The most disappointing was when my wife called and told me she could smell gas in the house. She called the CPS guy over and he looked underneath. He then put his little probe equipment in there and there was significant gas reading underneath the range. The contractors just put it on and it wasn't tightened up so it was leaking gas. That was very scary for us being here and if we were to light a match, we don't know what could have happened.

But, the reps calling out and getting things done once the problems were identified was not an issue and the way they responded to our issues made it even easier to keep them high on my level. The rep does a great job and I have a great conversation with him whenever I need to. He showed us everything about this area and we told him about what colors of the home we like. He kept us informed on what he had available and what will be coming.

The house is great and we're not gonna move out of it but I don't wanna continue having to call in these warranty requests because it's very disturbing. Some of them are minor and some of them were very serious. All the other stuff about this process is great but I will definitely tell anyone to look out for some of the things that we've been through.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I received a postcard from LGI in the mail and I found the price of their houses to be reasonable. So, I called their number and their salesperson called me back a couple of days later. He asked me some questions and at the time, I wasn’t looking to buy a house but I was kind of interested. He told me to see him and that we’d just talk and see what they had. He wasn’t pressuring me or anything but he encouraged me to sit down, talk with them, and see what the best option would be.

I saw a couple of houses there at the property and I wasn’t anticipating in buying one that day but it happened. They gave me a check list of everything to come back with the loan officer and I followed that. The loan officer was amazing, too. She explained everything to me when I signed the paperwork and assured me that she would be able to take care of me if I had any questions. Then she let me know when the closing date was. So the salesperson and the loan officer explained everything to me and they didn’t keep any secrets. They were honest with me and let me know everything to expect and what to bring. There was an orientation as well after I closed where I was shown everything about the house, the maintenance I had to do, and where everything was. I wasn’t expecting that and it took about an hour but that was really nice.

As a first time homeowner, I didn't have any experience with home ownership and I heard from other people about how long the process takes and all the going back and forth. But everyone at LGI was great and they made the process really seamless. From the time I looked at the house to the date I closed, it was less than 30 days and I couldn't believe how fast it was. I had to put down with the loan program that I qualified for, which was through the US Department of Agriculture, and I was so surprised that I was able to get approved for it because of my limited income. Plus, I didn’t have to put down a down payment other than a $1,000 deposit to hold the house, and I didn’t have to pay for closing cost or the loan officer fees. I'm sure they were included in the price of the house but by doing that, LGI made things more simple and a lot easier.

As for the house I got, it pretty much has what I would want as I’m a single person with a dog. It has two-bedrooms, two baths, and one car garage. Most houses like mine around here in the Tampa Bay area are either a mobile home or are 30 years old or older, which is okay. But I wanted a house where I had peace of mind that I could move-in ready, that it didn’t require work or that the air conditioner or roof needs to be replaced. So, it’s difficult to find brand new small houses, unless it’s a mobile home which I wanna stay away from, or a condo or a townhouse which I didn't want because I didn’t wanna pay anything extra on top of a mortgage or an insurance every month for that.

All in all, I bought an inventory home so I wasn’t able to pick out anything but I’m satisfied with it. However, if I was having it built, I would not have carpet and just have all hard floors. My dog sheds everywhere, so I have to vacuum clean. Other than that, the house is in a street with some other new houses and LGI is in the process of building some more. So, as long as everyone keeps up their properties nice the community will be good.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

There are parts of me that’s happy with my LGI home and I'm satisfied for what I was looking at. If I had to do this again, I probably would do it again because in my situation, coming from 1,700 miles away, I couldn't build from scratch. I stayed temporarily in a lot of places and that was a hassle. So this was move in, boom and it's done. LGI Homes is about the only builder around here that does that. So they really have an edge on that.

On the other hand, although I know LGI homes are entry-level houses, you should be able to function with them being the way there are. There were a lot of things but the home was already finished so I couldn’t change anything. I've bought a lot of houses and I renovated houses for 12 years. A lot of the problems I encountered is because of cheap help. They are not under real supervision and they get the cheapest help they can get. All the builders do it. With one house that I was in, the master carpenter was 21 years old. That doesn’t mean he didn’t have the qualification. It just means that LGI didn't wanna pay anybody anything. They got the cheapest stuff they could.

I had a hard time fitting plates in the cabinets. They're not very wide and if you have an extra wide plate, you can't put it in there. The fixture in the kitchen was also way over. If I put a table directly under it, the chair would have been up against the wall. So I had to move that and I had the expense of doing that. With one of my cabinets in the kitchen, you can see where something was laddered up against it. You can't see it when you're moving in and in some lights but you can see it when the light is in the back and the light comes right on it. So this concerns quality control as far as what these guys were doing.

The ceiling could have been better as well. I've got a pieced section but I won't have anybody come in and fix it. They will make a bigger mess than what is already there. So that stays the way it is. I also had a leak on the outside of the house and when I had the plumber who was putting in my water softener work on that, it looked like somebody had banged into it.

I didn't expect things to go perfectly but there are things that could have been done better, even in terms of design. With this particular model, I have a closet that’s like an alcove when you come in the front hall. That’s wasted space. That could have gone into the closet. The master bedroom closet could be a little bit bigger also. It's the smallest closet I've ever had with the master bedroom. There was no stone in the backyard either. We just went through a tornado and half of my backyard is on my side.

The biggest thing though was not leaving me any paint, carpeting or flooring. Whenever I did a house or improved something in a house, I left behind the rest of the materials so if people had a problem, they could actually do something about it. Things happen and they can match up much more easily. When there are some things on the floor, how are you gonna match it up? You can't take it with you. The carpeting was really a hassle. All the builders had put in pretty much the cheapest carpeting they could possibly put in.

Plus the original people who put it in were not upfront about the fact that they felt it was a conflict. I'm the one who had to say it. After being put on so many different people’s voicemails, I had to ask if there was a problem. Everybody was so busy covering themselves from any type of suit that customer service suffered. I just wish they had been upfront. I'm a big girl. All they had to say was the name of the manufacturer and the style numbers. I did this for a living for 12 years and I know how to chase down a product. There was a lot of waste of time with that. I had allergy and after a couple of days, I ended up ripping out the carpeting and padding, and putting in vinyl flooring. I like the product that they put in though. I have a cat and with constant hair and with allergy for me, it was the way to go.

When I had my floors put in, the installer was not careful and left marks on the walls though. I had the owner come out and take off as many marks as he could and he removed the paint with it. I was told that the paint on the wall was a real paint though, not a primer. But I went and took just a smudge off the study wall and the paint came with it as well. So it wasn’t that this guy was pushing too hard on it. I ended up having to repair here and that didn’t make me happy, but at least I have color on the wall.

Also, when I asked if there was a builder incentive, they asked me what I meant. In some houses, it's blinds or the stones. But I was told that there wasn't any. So I purchased insurance and after the fact, I got a phone call saying that the insurance was free the first year. Nobody had told me that and trying to get the money back took quite a bit. The other thing that really squirreled me out was that when I was looking before I purchased, they had all these "sold" signs up and down the block. Everything was sold, 16 of them, and they gave me two models to look in. When I asked if there was anything else, they said there was nothing else to look at. But when I went to close the very next week, all the signs were gone. All the names were off the board and they said they all fell through. That was a lot of houses to fall through though. I'm not naive.

I wanted a finished neighborhood and I wanted neighbors. But now, I don’t have neighbors. So it's kinda eerie here. It's almost like a science fiction movie at times, at night especially when there's no one around down the streets. I don’t like that. I thought I bought a neighborhood. It may have been bait-and-switch but I don't know. Who knows what's going on in this world? People do things all the time to make things look better. Slowly but surely though, neighbors are starting to creep up from the end of the block. And anyway, I'm here. It's three months later and I'm trying to put all that stuff behind me and enjoy my house. It's a new chapter here and there's peace and quiet. A new house like this does have its advantages with a lot of work to get it to this point. It's starting to look like a home.

For a freestanding house like this that is totally done, you can't expect as much as when you are custom-building and building from scratch. So LGI Homes was probably the best way to go. The layout of the neighborhood itself is good. That includes the sidewalks, the streetlights and the sewers. I did not have all these things before when I was living in Florida. So that’s a positive. The outside construction of the house also looks good and very solid. They did a good job with the general layout of the house as well. I have claustrophobia and this whole open area is really good.

The walls are also in decent shape and for the recessed lighting, what they had was good lighting. I'm glad that they put it in as many places as they did – the front hall, the hallway, the bedroom, the bathrooms and the kitchen. Those are timeless. That was a good choice. I put in all the rest of the fans with lights in, and it was easy to match up that type of thing. The master bathroom is nice and it has a full shower which is perfect for my use. My electrical bills have been less than what I was paying in Florida as well.

The general manager who goes around and takes care of all the rest of the houses has been good with the different things that have gone a little goofy. I had a motor that went on the whole house air circulation and since he got me another motor, I haven't had a problem. So he's doing his job. He is a congenial person too. Another thing was that I didn't get manuals for my appliances. But they have been helpful with registering my appliances. I don’t have a computer, WI-FI or internet on my phone so I went in every time to do it. One of the ladies was very nice and helped me put them in even though she didn’t have to do that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

So what started off as making an appointment to just get information on how we can buy a home - ended up with us owning a brand new home in less than a month!! We were well guided and informed every step of the way with the most amazing staff. Communication and great personalized customer service was more than I imagined a company would give. Every person we interacted with gave us the support we needed to complete this home buying process - everyone made it so easy - we still find it hard to believe that we did it - we own our 1st brand new home.

"Q" our salesperson is remarkable - she is always so positive, friendly and informative. She was exceptional. Stella - the loan processor made it the whole lending procedure so smooth. She took care of all the paperwork needed. Jeff the builder - went over every detail of the home during the walk thru. He answered every question we had about the house and its appliances. Even took care of some minor details that we pointed out (because we are super picky). Bottom line - if you are looking to purchase a brand new home - look no further - with LGI you will have the best customer service experience and they will make the whole process fast and easy. Thank you LGI Homes.

LGI Homes response

Carmen, we are so excited that our team helped you achieve the dream of homeownership! We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional customer service and being efficient with the time of each potential homeowner. It’s always our goal to ensure that each LGI Homes customer feels confident that they are making the best decision for their family. Congratulations, we wish you and your family all the best in your stunning new home!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

My wife has always wanted a house but I would only buy a house if I find a house that’s brand-new home with no money down. I saw a house on sale in Zillow and my wife and I went and looked at it. It was an LGI home, but it was being sold separately. We looked at it, and we liked it. We drove around a bit more and then we saw the information center and we checked it out. Their rep Bryce told me everything that I wanted to hear as far as what my stipulations were for buying a home and we bought the house.

Bryce was outstanding. He was easy to talk to and he made the experience very painless for us. The best experience was basically the process and usually it’s the worst experience, but their system just made it completely painless. I don’t see anybody else doing what they’re doing so whatever they’re doing is very good. I’m happy with the whole interaction with Bryce, Jason and the loan officer there. They were on the spot and then they couldn’t work with me, so they sent me to another loan officer. But we still closed before the day so it was an outstanding experience.

I looked at some of the surrounding builders and there are some things that they’re not doing that LGI is doing, like wrapping the house in brick all the way around, not just doing the front and leaving the back panel look horrible. As far as what they’re doing with their emergency drip system, that drips out onto the patio to let you know if there’s a problem before your house gets destroyed. It's cool. Also, the space in between the houses are much bigger than anywhere else. I also like that they gave me a couple of new trees in the front, a couple of live oaks that the roots go straight down and not spread out into my foundation. And they gave me two water hoses, one for the front, one for the back, with timers on it and a little sprinkler, which was sweet. They did everything right and I had a great experience, overall. Everybody should have the same experience I did if they’re gonna buy a home.

LGI Homes response

Stuart, this is exciting news to hear for your family. We feel so privileged that you allowed our team to assist you in achieving the dream of homeownership. Congratulations on your new LGI Home, and we wish you and your family all the best for years to come.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I heard about LGI Homes through the mail and I was told by them that everything was new. I wanna try that. Everything went good with my interaction with the rep and so far, everything looks good as well on the home. The master bedroom is okay and the other rooms are nice although they're kinda small.

LGI Homes response

Brandon, It’s always great to hear when a potential homeowner finds our new homes appealing. Thank you for the feedback, and we wish you all the best on your journey to homeownership!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

We were trying to get a home in a different area, but we went with LGI Homes because it fits better within our budget, and it was a better deal for the area. My wife tried to set up appointments with the people in Wake Forest, but they would not let her because I was not there. They wanted the husband to be there and she didn't like that at all. So, she called and set one up in Fuquay-Varina, and they said, "Sure, come on down and look at the houses that we have." She looked at it, then she came back and took me back in to see the houses. The quality of the build was all right. The framing, the plumbing and electric are all right. We just had to ask them to fix some of the framing. However, the grating was terrible. They were able to fix the framing but not the grating so I'm just somewhat satisfied with them. But so far, it's a nice community.

LGI Homes response

Daniel, Congratulations on the purchase of your new LGI Home. We are so happy that you were able to find a great new home at our Avery Pond community. We wish you and your wife all the best in your new LGI home.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My first experience with LGI Homes wasn't really good. This first location sounded like they were trying to do predatory lending towards me. The rep was like a used car salesman pressuring me. The person wanted me to send them money but didn't want me to verify it. That made me suspicious and nervous. I pulled out of the deal. They didn’t care where I got the money from at all. Also, one of the salesmen at this location where I had a bad experience with had a misleading ad about renting homes. I wasn’t exactly ready to buy a home. When I got to the location, I noticed it was homes for sale.

Mike was the rep in this Dallas location. He did everything he could to try to pressure me in getting a home with them. I took that as a threat even though he said it was not and that I would get my deposit back if I left. I should stay stuck with him and do a bad deal like that. I went to a different location and I had a better experience. The rep there was great. Her name was Arlene. Her boss was great too and very informed.

I explained things to them and they went out their way to make sure I was gonna have a better experience. They let us decide when we were ready. They also apologized and did all the things. They made sure all the money I was giving them for the downpayment wasn’t gonna disappear. I did my research on people saying the company was not a real company and that their deposit wasn't there. And nobody knew where their money went. Arlene and her boss reassured me on all that stuff.

Also, LGI could do a bit more on their end regarding the quality of their build. I know everybody needs to make a profit, but I think they tried to skim a little bit. In the six months I dealt with them, from when I first had the bad experience, they didn’t have garage door openers in the homes. But by the time I closed, the openers were offered in all their homes. It was something they should’ve done at the beginning. I may think something is a necessity but they don’t think so. An example is something as basic as a peephole in the front door which they don’t have or offer.

LGI Homes response

Timothy, thank you for providing us valuable feedback. We are sorry to hear that you felt pressured while speaking to our New Home Consultant. We always make it a priority to provide our customers with detailed information to make the best decision for themselves, and family. Also, we hope you received clarity about the ad, as we only promote the dream of homeownership. Again, thank you for your feedback and we wish you all the best!

LGI Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

LGI Homes has been building new home communities since 2002. Their goal is to provide homeowners across the United States with homes of great value at affordable prices. The company also employs a team of home buying professionals to help new homebuyers through the process of buying a house. Choose from multiple modern floor plans and customization options.

• Home finder: LGI’s home finder feature lets visitors select a state, city and LGI development within each city to view available homes and floorplans. Each available home has an estimated monthly cost and visitors can call for a quote on new floorplans.

• LGI warranty: LGI offers a 10-year, structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most other components on their homes. Homeowners can submit a warranty service request online by logging into their site and filling out a request form.

• LGI Active Adult communities: LGI’s Active Adult communities are built around and within close proximity to a city's main features. Active Adult communities are near entertainment and sporting venues, airports, colleges and universities as well as golf courses, hiking and biking trails and tennis courts.

• Energy efficiency: LGI focuses on energy efficient homes, especially homes located in the hottest part of the United States. By using reliable products from insulation to heating and cooling systems, and energy efficient appliances, LGI Homes can reduce energy bills by up to 30 percent.

• Realtors: LGI Homes has built relationships with real estate professionals that know their floorplans and communities well, and can connect customers to one of their realtors based on the region they are interested in. Realtors can also keep interested buyers updated on promotions and special offers through email updates.

• Best for: homebuyers who want to build a home or buy a home in a great community.

Profile picture of Joseph Truini
Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

LGI Homes Company Information