2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.96/5

LGI Homes builds homes with not only great, lasting value, but at great prices. Our homes are conveniently located in family-friendly communities, that are not only safe, but are rich in amenities like playgrounds, trails, community sporting areas, and even fishing lakes. At LGI Homes, we don’t just build a house, we create the ideal homes for families. Whether this is your very first home or the fifth, LGI Homes will turn your dream home into a reality. Contact us today!

View More View More

LGI Homes Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I was looking at a couple of different types of models of homes in that area and LGI was had available what I was interested in. I made an appointment with them. Diane was fantastic and she took me right to it She pretty much walked me through everything and made it really easy. She was really responsive about questions and if she didn’t know the answer to that thing, she’d still find out. It was really awesome. I didn’t know anything about buying a home and she really streamlined the process and told us exactly where we needed to be and kinda worked with us.

But I wish the walk-through didn’t feel so rushed. The guy did a good job with explaining everything but he didn’t really give me time to look through the house on my own to see if there was any kind of repair that needed to be done. There were things where I felt like LGI should’ve been responsible for like I shouldn’t have had a big scuff mark on my wall when I moved in. I shouldn’t have gouges out of doors. I shouldn’t have my door handles falling off because they were improperly put in or somebody put in the incorrect screw. I shouldn’t have molding coming off the side of my tub because it wasn’t correctly put in. But I didn’t catch these on our initial walk-through because he pretty much took the reins through everything and didn’t really give me time to look through the house on my own.

I haven't started reporting all of that stuff yet. We’re still finishing moving in at this moment and there is still a lot of unpacking to do. I would like to wait until we get everything finished. It’ll be difficult if they start doing repairs. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with our home build for the price point that we got. But there are a few things that I'm not too excited about like the fact that the fences aren’t painted or weatherproofed. They aren’t water-treated and they’ve been sitting out since LGI prepared and built these lots. I feel like since LGI doesn't have any kind of guarantee for at least for the first six months to a year, it is a little ridiculous especially since they put it in there without any kind of weatherproofing.

My man is in the car right now and he has many comments about the concrete work that has been done. He works in the concrete industry. In front of the property, there are footmarks on the driveway. The one last thing that I was really unhappy with was my preparation after everything was completed in the walk-through. I have a dog and I'm finding sheet metal pieces for sockets and electrical stuff. I'm finding that in my backyard along with nails and screws. Also, there were still other garbage during my walk-through that was left from the construction crew, like water bottles in my attic. There's also one on my roof that has been sitting there for I don’t know how long. The construction crew did not do a very good job of picking up after themselves.

LGI Homes response

Hi Mary, thank you for your feedback. We are glad that the buying process was so smooth, but are disappointed to hear about the walk-through. Our Construction Managers walk the homes and make sure everything is in order for closing. When you are ready to report the items you'd like fixed, please be sure to complete a warranty claim through the online portal.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

We put in an offer on a previously built, occupied home within Sherman Hills of LGI and it was rejected, and they did not lower their price. So, as we were driving around the development that we were looking at, we were seeing signs saying, "$1,000 down" and so we went in there and talk to them to see what it was all about. When we sat down with one of the sales representatives for LGI and they walked us through the process of everything, we decided to go more on the newbuilt route than buying a previously occupied home due to the fact that it was basically the exact same thing, but everything was gonna be brand stinking new, not lived in, whereas the previous house where we put an offer in, we were gonna have to replace the carpets and the normal wear and tear things. Also, it was more financially beneficial for us to deal with a newbuilt home.

When we went to LGI, we started working with a gentleman whose name is Sammy and we have nothing but great things to say about him. He didn't try to just sell us a home. He talked to us about the company itself, how not only did they have high standard, but one of their mission statements was based on integrity. And when there was a conversation about a Realtor that we were working with who misrepresented themselves, we were talking about how he was gonna wind up getting a commission off of this when he didn't do anything, Sammy said, "He still worked with you. We're not gonna take her off. That's part of our integrity and our professionalism." And just because he followed through with what the core values were made us wanna work with LGI.

Our home consultant, Nick, was wonderful. He worked his tail off for us. He basically said, "It's not if you're gonna move in, it's when you're gonna move in." And so, it being my husband and I's first home, we had a lot of, "Oh, my gosh. Are we doing the right thing?" type of insecurity just because we were scared of this being a new venture in our lives, and Nick was able to basically talk me off the ledge on everything. He assured me that everything would be all right.

I loved the communication. We would text and call each other. There was also constant information about the process that not only that our loan was in, but what the stage of the house was in. I really appreciated that and it made me respect the company as a whole more just because I didn't have to chase them. They were contacting me letting me know that even though they talked to me yesterday, this is what's happening today. Even if there was nothing to tell me, they would say that they're still working on it and I respected that as an organization.

The quality of the build was amazing. My parents build a home 25-plus years ago and there were issues where my mom actually had to take over like a construction manager. She was out at the property every single day, if something was wrong, forcing them to fix it, and I didn't have to do that. They knew their job. Even after we moved in and there were a few things that happened, I made one phone call and they said they would have someone out the following day. And when they sent someone out to correct the issue, it was with high professionalism, accuracy of job, detail and quick response. They are definitely a 5-plus in my book. It was very informative, inviting, reassuring experience. All around I was well cared for.

LGI Homes response

Tabatha, thank you for trusting our team to help you achieve the dream of homeownership. We couldn’t agree with you more about the benefits of new construction. Congratulations and enjoy your stunning NEW LGI home!

Original review: July 14, 2019

We wanted something new. We didn’t want to deal with an older home and all of the issues that it may have. When we came around to LGI Homes some time last year, we were told that we didn’t qualify for it. But we came around this year and we did. In fact, we qualified for a bigger home than the one we were looking at the first time. So it really didn’t make sense to us but we didn’t really care. We just wanted the house.

For the most part, everything was okay with the home consultant. Sometimes, it took a while to get the information I was requesting, like the floor plan of the home and the measurements. Those took about two and a half weeks to get my hands on and the information ended up being just a cellphone screenshot that I was sent. That was kind of a pain but it gave us the basics of what we were looking for. Besides that, the only thing out of everything were some negatives for the consultant for the loan. There was barely any communication up until, “Hey, you need to do this now.” We’d find out at the end of day, at 6:00 or 7:00 PM, and it would need to be done by the next day. That sucked but we got it done. Other than that, everything was fine. It was on time. Actually, they finished it earlier than expected and we were just waiting for the closing date.

So far, we’re satisfied with the quality of the build. The only thing that we don’t like about the home is the front bedroom’s closets. The depth from door to wall is very small then once you step in the closet, we have at least three feet on either side of you that we don’t really need. It’s really weird. You can always put a box in there but we feel that even a smaller one, like a coat-sized closet, would be preferred. It’s the home office for me and there’s just a lot of dead room in there. There were also a couple of things aesthetic-wise, like the arched hallway, that we were told we’d get but didn’t. But it turns out we have a supposedly newer model. We also don’t have a booklet for the paints that we were supposed to get and that’s really the only thing I have a big complaint about. Obviously, there are some tiny corners that they’re gonna miss and that we can’t color match because we don’t have the thing.

Nonetheless, I’d really recommend LGI Homes to people because of how quickly you can do the process and how quickly the houses are being done compared to other builders. Our previous builder went from September to January with zero progress on the home. With this builder, from April to June, it was already 100% complete. Our closing date at the other builder was supposed to be in May and two weeks prior to that, there was still no carpet and the paint still wasn’t done. I’d also let people know about the loan people and to make sure they have all their documents in order. Sometimes, the people take a while to reply because of how big the community is. We’re also just outside so there is no city tax and it has its own schools. The community is okay as well. There’s barely anybody here right now and everyone kinda keeps to themselves.

Original review: April 22, 2019

We rented an apartment and we were looking online for another one. We thought maybe LGI had some rental homes, so we tried to look at some of that and we ended up buying one. My husband and I are getting older and I'll be retiring within five to 10 years. We liked the open space of the homes that they had and I personally like the fact that they use all of the space in the home, that there's no dead space at all.

We had to go through a lot of work to make our purchase with LGI and their rep, David, helped us through all of it. Initially, we did not think that we would ever be able to buy a home until in a year or two from then because we are both in bankruptcy right now. My husband has a year and I have a year and a half to finish. But when we were talking to David about the rental, he asked why we weren't buying a home versus renting one and we explained that we were on bankruptcy. But he said that if we really wanted to own a home, we could do this. It took six weeks but we did it.

I was satisfied with David and John there at the office and they’ll be my best friends for the rest of my life. We really gained a close bond. I would come to the office bringing the stuff that they needed and I would wait to see if there was something else I needed to get. We also had some divorce papers that I had to pick up and I would take off then go get the stuff that we would need so that I'd have everything because I don’t work until in the afternoon, so my morning is so free.

I also love the home that we got from LGI. I love the open spaces that it has and the master bathroom is huge. It's very obvious that the home is built so that people can get into it that haven't been able to buy a home. It's almost like a starter home, but it's not. It's a basic home where you can do upgrades in it. Everything is done but the home doesn’t come with gutters, so you'll add gutters later if you want. And the bedrooms don’t have locks on the doors, just the bathroom. But I wanted a lock on my master bedroom and I was given one.

We're loving the area as well. It's only about four miles from wherever we were at, so it's only an eight-mile drive to work for me and an extra four miles for my husband. There's a lot of work potential on this area, too, and it's quiet here except for the little motor thing right behind us where they play around in the dirt. Hopefully, that would develop too. I wasn’t too impressed that there was no community swimming pool but that can be done because there are very active people getting into the HOA. There's also land to be able to do stuff like that, so that can happen. All in all, our experience with LGI was really good and I recommended a friend from work to them. Also, my neighbor who's two houses down from me also purchased from LGI. He got the home that he didn’t think he was gonna purchase and he signed the contract a week after I did.

LGI Homes response

Cheryl, Congratulations on making the transition into homeownership. We thank you for allowing our team of specialists to guide you through such an important time in your life and we are thrilled to hear that you love the design of your new home. We appreciate your positive advocacy for LGI Homes and wish you and your family the best in your new home.

Original review: March 1, 2019

LGI was great. We were just looking for something to rent but when we went to LGI and saw the houses, we kind of fell in love with the one we’re buying. The LGI rep, Sheryl, is a wonderful woman. She was very professional the entire time and she was very informative. It was easy to get a hold of her. If we called the office and the other girl who was answering the phone most of the time said, “Sheryl is with somebody, but I can take a message,” Sheryl got back to us by the end of the day. Going through the process with Sheryl was fine.

Once we spoke over the phone with the other guy to go through the mortgage process, that was when things became rough. A lot of it was he contacted us around 4:30 or so and said, “Can you fax me this by the end of the business day?” It was 4:30 and he wanted us to go somewhere to fax him something by 5:00. I was driving to work one morning and we had a snow storm here. And I thought it was one of my kids calling with something about school. And so, I answered my phone as I’m driving. I didn’t even see who it was and just put it on speaker. And it was him asking me if I was headed to fax him the papers. I was on my way to work. I couldn’t get to the papers to fax them till the afternoon. I’m like, “We’re not just sitting here, waiting for you to call asking us for papers. We still have a life and we still have jobs.”

We started the whole process with LGI about the middle of December, and we finally closed on the house in January instead of February. So, it was about a month, but it has really gotten rough. We’re in the process of moving. We have a bunch of friends coming to help us on Saturday move from where we are to the new house. My impressions with our new house were kinda like, “Wow. This is going to be too much. Can we afford this? Yeah, look at all this.” There's an extra cupboard space, extra cabinets, and extra closets. It’s got room for this and room for that. And I’ve never had this much space in the house before.

When it came time to really check things out, I was like, “Okay, yeah. If we’re gonna go with this, I’m getting into this pantry. I wanna see every shelf. Are they sturdy or are they loose? And I’m getting up to every cabinet and I’m feeling everything." If we’re gonna be here for 30 years and this is the price and the mortgage, I’m checking out every nook and cranny. Once I checked every space, I felt that this is really well built and this is great. Also, this seems like it is far away from town, but it is a quiet neighborhood. But it is worth the little extra commute to be able to get away from the hustle and bustle of things sometimes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

We contacted LGI in the summer of 2019 just to see where we were at credit wise and what we needed to work on to qualify for a new home. The sales guy was very helpful and gave us hope! We qualified for no money down due to credit score and we went through the process!! It was quick and easy it seemed. I had people tell me they wouldn’t buy from them as they had been lied to. I pushed that off due to the fact that they seemed to explain everything in detail to us. I specifically asked about the HOA and was told that the dues were put in our escrow account and paid each year from that! That it was included in the monthly payment that was much highflier than advertised for taxes, insurance and HOA dues. I accepted that.

We used a first time homebuyers program that they told us we qualified for. GREAT NEWS for us!! They kept us in the loop during the whole process and I felt very confident!!! We moved in and out tub cracked and they were prompt in fixing it and fixing the flooring that was damaged when the tub was replaced! I again felt good about our decision and chalked what I was told up to the fact that not everyone is satisfied all the time!! Well that was September that we bought the house... January we received a bill from the HOA. I called and asked about the fact that we were told it was rolled into our monthly payments. I was supposed to have people call back.. they never did!!

I called several times and was told they never told me that the dues came out of escrow account and were included in monthly payment except the remainder of the first year! I asked well then why did our payment not go down in January by the amount of the HOA? And they had no answers except they would have someone call me back that knew more about our contract... that never happened!! I have called numerous times and no call back!! I fspe to my neighbors and they had not paid their dues either because like us, were told the same thing!!

I called the HOA who said they had extended the pay by date by a month due to the fact they had so many that had not paid! I explained what I knew and she was enlightened! I then received a letter from our finance company about the secondary loan for first time home buyers for the down payment assistance. It said that we would not be billed monthly but that if we EVER refinanced or sold the house before we fulfilled the loan that we would owe 7,655.00. I had to call to find out what that was about because we were told that we had to not refinance or sell for only 7 years or we would have to pay the INTEREST on that 7655.00!! That was also a lie!!

We can not sell or refinance without having to pay the whole amount for the entire 30 years!!! It’s not the principal of the money but the fact that we are finding we were lied to over and over again!!! The house is good but the fact that we are first time home buyers and we were trusting this company and we were lied to not once but TWICE SO FAR....our neighbors were told the same!!

In trying to get information about all of these issues our sales guys number has been changed and the main number for LGI in our subdivision is no longer in service!! I used the 866 number I googled that was some sort of main number for LGI but went to the office here thankfully... I will not buy again from LGI and I don’t recommend them to anyone who is not fluent in home buying!!! I called corporate yesterday to voice my concern and have not received a call back yet. We will see if I get one today!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I am a first time home buyer, when I saw LGI homes online the prices and the houses looked too good to be true. I read all the reviews and decided to make an appt. I soon found out that was a huge mistake. I had made an appt with Adam originally. I showed up and immediately was given to someone else I had never spoke to. Adam was with another couple finalizing a deal I guess that’s why I was brushed off. I sat and spoke with a woman. Can’t recall her name but she was friendly and knowledgeable. I did just want to look at the models but it was like I was forced to sit at that table with her for 2 hours going through all of my finances etc. before I was even take to see the model.

Finally once everything checked out I was taken to look at every house I didn’t want to see. It was like they wouldn’t show me the model house I was interested in when I was already told I qualified for it. I immediately got a bad feeling about them. We looked at the villa first which was so small and the ceiling was like to the top of my head. Felt claustrophobic but even after telling them, "No. Not interested." they insisted on writing up the numbers after each house I looked at. The manager there young ** man came in and took over telling me I didn’t qualify for certain loans when I have done my research for the past 2 years I know what I qualify for. He was pushing me to put all this money down and go FHA and still giving me 1500$ a month mortgages for the smallest houses.

Then after the first house he wrote up the numbers told me basically they were my only option and I had to do it his way. That was the only way, then left took the realtor with him and left me there to “think it over!” The insides of all these houses were very cheap looking. The bedrooms are all so tiny they wouldn’t fit even a twin bed without taking up all the space. I was extremely EXTREMELY disappointed! When he finally came back to the house they left me at I told them, "I want to see the model I came here to see. I’m not signing anything and that’s it". When he heard me say that he got in his car and left. I didn’t see him again. It’s obvious he was only trying to push me into a sale that benefited him the most.

I had the feeling I was being lied to and scammed. I finally saw the Fisher model and once walking in it does not look like what you would think. The bedrooms again are all tiny. The kitchen was ok but the fridge was too small for the space. It had openings on both sides where it didn’t fit in the space all the way. I left and shopped around. Found out I do qualify for the loan I wanted all along so my instincts were right. I will never deal with LGI Homes again. This was the worst experience for me being a single mom and first time buyer. It made me not even want to continue the process. Make sure you do your research and speak with numerous people before making a decision. Don’t let anyone push you into signing for something you're not comfortable with. I wonder how many people this guy has got to sign for things based on his lies and later they regret it and are stuck with a cheap house and a huge mortgage.

LGI Homes response

Hi Christena, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we appreciate your feedback. We strive to provide exceptional customer service and our goal is to provide you with all of the knowledge you need to feel confident when selecting a home. By reviewing a prospective buyer's financial qualifications and calculating the monthly payment of each home that that is toured, we feel that we are providing all of the information that is needed to ensure that the buyer is making an informed decision and are selecting a home they are comfortable with.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

The representative was good and he guided us through the whole process. He was prompt to respond to my questions. If I had any questions, he was able to answer them. The quality of the build and the location were good. But I have some timing issues and they told me they would take care of them both at closing, but they haven't really been covered. The process after the closing has been not very good. There are some portions of the flooring that are coming off and the blinds were not installed properly. They are crooked. I've made a service request online for over a week now and nobody has responded to that. So, I don’t like that.

LGI Homes response

Hi Ashik, thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that your New Home Consultant was able to make your buying experience easy! We are disappointed to hear about the problems you have had since closing. f you have any challenges moving forward with your home, please be sure to complete a warranty claim through our online portal.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

The price of an LGI home was less than older homes, so why buy a 50-year-old house for more money. I contacted LGI over the phone and went down to the field office and talked to them. They showed me around one of the model homes and when they were opening in the actual area, I scheduled with them a walk-through of the actual house. I wanted to see the area and stuff. And I did that, and then they called me a few times just letting me know where the process was. It was pretty good.

I worked with two consultants and I was impressed that they would call and say where they were. John contacted me with some info about one of his lenders when I told him I didn’t wanna go through theirs. He’s like, “Hey, well, just FYI, I don’t know if they can help you or not, but this is the guy I went through when I bought my house.” So, I thought that was cool.

The quality of the build of my home is so far, so good. I've only been in about two weeks but I haven't found anything wrong except for one thing on the fence that’s missing a couple of nails. One of the boards is loose, but I can fix that in 30 seconds. I asked a little bit about customizations and they said they have what they build. They build them all the same to cut down on costs and improve quality. Overall, it’s nice to finally own something. I should’ve done it years ago.

LGI Homes response

Hi Brian, thank you for taking the time to review us! We pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and are happy to hear that your New Home Consultants stayed in touch with you and were able to help you out. Congratulations on becoming a homeowner and thank you for choosing LGI Homes!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

My brother bought through LGI, and he gave the salesman my number and I ended up buying the house right behind him. The consultant was great, understanding, and walked us through every step that we needed. I thought I was gonna walk in and this was gonna be a headache, but it was the simplest thing I've ever had to deal with. My experience was great. They handled everything in-house and they were extremely knowledgeable. We got to meet with the salesman, the builder, and the loan departments. It works out at that office. Everything was dealt with there.

The quality of the build seems fine so far. I haven't had any issues. And the minute we call LGI, they come and take care of anything. Within the first year, we have like a bumper-to-bumper warranty on the house. There are little parks inside the community. The community seems nice. Being close to my brother was the most important thing. But otherwise, it's kind of exciting to be a first-time homebuyer and have it go so smoothly. I keep sending people to LGI.

LGI Homes response

Hi Aaron, we appreciate you taking the time to review us! We are proud to offer a simplified buying process and are glad that you appreciated having everything taken care of in one office. Thank you for your continued referrals and congratulations on your new home!

LGI Homes expert review by Joseph Truini

LGI Homes has been building new home communities since 2002. Their goal is to provide homeowners across the United States with homes of great value at affordable prices. The company also employs a team of home buying professionals to help new homebuyers through the process of buying a house. Choose from multiple modern floor plans and customization options.

• Home finder: LGI’s home finder feature lets visitors select a state, city and LGI development within each city to view available homes and floorplans. Each available home has an estimated monthly cost and visitors can call for a quote on new floorplans.

• LGI warranty: LGI offers a 10-year, structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most other components on their homes. Homeowners can submit a warranty service request online by logging into their site and filling out a request form.

• LGI Active Adult communities: LGI’s Active Adult communities are built around and within close proximity to a city's main features. Active Adult communities are near entertainment and sporting venues, airports, colleges and universities as well as golf courses, hiking and biking trails and tennis courts.

• Energy efficiency: LGI focuses on energy efficient homes, especially homes located in the hottest part of the United States. By using reliable products from insulation to heating and cooling systems, and energy efficient appliances, LGI Homes can reduce energy bills by up to 30 percent.

• Realtors: LGI Homes has built relationships with real estate professionals that know their floorplans and communities well, and can connect customers to one of their realtors based on the region they are interested in. Realtors can also keep interested buyers updated on promotions and special offers through email updates.

• Best for: homebuyers who want to build a home or buy a home in a great community.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

LGI Homes Company Information