3.9/5 (268 ratings)

About LGI Homes

LGI Homes is a new home builder that builds homes and communities in more than 20 states across the country. It purchases, plans and develops land for its new communities and puts streamlined practices into place to cut costs and speed up the homebuying and building processes.

Pros

• Hires expert builders
  • Uses high-quality materials
  • Dozens of homes and floor plans

Cons

• Limited upgrade options
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

LGI Homes is a leader in the home construction industry. It creates luxury homes in vibrant communities in states all across the U.S.

Top LGI Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The combination of the price, the builder incentives, and the amount of home that we were getting for the money led us to choosing LGI Homes … it just made so much more sense to g...

Verified

My friend bought a house from LGI Homes and referred me to them. I went over there and I talked to them. And they offered me a good plan to buy a house there. The rep was the grea...

LGI Homes floor plans

LGI Homes offers floor plans for every budget and need. Check out the following home designs to see which one is right for you.

CompleteHome

CompleteHome is LGI Home’s trademark home design. Every CompleteHome includes cutting-edge amenities and features that include:

• Whirlpool appliance packages
  • Granite or quartz countertops
  • Programmable thermostats
  • Finished garage
  • Professional front yard landscaping

Every house is designed with the modern home buyer in mind and has innovative features, straightforward pricing and popular upgrades to create a home that exceeds expectations in both form and function.

CompleteHome Plus

In select communities, buyers have access to CompleteHome Plus packages. This luxury upgrade features all of the amenities of the CompleteHome package plus:

• Stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator
  • Designer light fixtures
  • Two-tone interior paint package
  • Enhanced landscaping package

These extra touches add more value to your house and enhance the features of your new home.

Active Adult Communities

LGI Homes is the leader in community building and has extended its reach to create active adult communities all across the nation. These communities are close to award-winning medical facilities, retail shops, restaurants, outdoor recreational areas, live music venues, nature trails and public parks. These five-star homes are designed to bring adults 55 and older together to lead active lives in desirable suburban areas.

LGI Homes warranty

LGI Homes offers a 10-year structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most of the home’s other features and amenities. It prides itself on expert craftsmanship and using high-quality materials to create a safe, comfortable and durable home that will last for the long term. Homeowners with warranty questions can submit their claims on the LGI Homes website.

LGI Homes prices

LGI Homes range from $166,000 to $356,000. It often helps with closing costs. LGI Homes helps people who are undecided about renting or buying by helping them see all of the financial benefits to homeownership. With LGI Homes, you may qualify for no money down financing.

LGI Homes FAQ

What credit score is needed for LGI Homes?
Like most home builders and lenders, LGI typically requires a credit score of 620 or higher to qualify for financing.
Does LGI pay closing costs?
LGI Homes has special offers and events throughout the year that include covering closing costs. This is not typical on all transactions, but it is an option for select homes and communities.
How do LGI Homes work?
LGI Homes is a premium home builder. Buyers can browse the website for LGI Home communities in their area and speak to an expert to help find or design the home of their dreams.
Are LGI Homes good quality?
Yes. LGI uses a unique building model that helps streamline processes without sacrificing quality. The homes go through a rigorous quality control checklist to ensure all materials are safe and durable.
Does LGI Homes do rent-to-own?
No. LGI Homes builds homes for ownership only.

is LGI Homes legit?

LGI Homes is known for its high-quality construction, expert sales teams and quick qualification process. Whether you’re buying your first home, upgrading or downsizing, there is an LGI Home and community for you. If you’re looking for a new home but want to skip the stress of planning and designing, LGI Homes could be right for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: May 10, 2022

I dealt with Rick and he lied. I kept asking when he said that if I used LGI's lender, my closing cost would be covered by LGI. But that was completely false because the $1,000 that I put towards escrow did not go towards my down payment, it went towards closing cost. So in fact, they paid all but $1,000 of the closing cost. He never even apologized for giving me false information. He was just very defensive and he was rude about it. But Luke was great. He told me that he had to go by what was in the contract. He was the one who let me know pretty well into it.

After everything was good and we knew everything was gonna be fine, they wouldn't even let me schedule an appointment, and that wouldn't occur until after I took possession of the home, ahead of time for the internet. Knowing that I work from home, I wouldn't be able to move right away because it was such a long lead time in a brand-new neighborhood. Rick said that it would be fine but I found out three weeks into it that he didn't approve it. Then he started saying that they never do that, even though OEC said that they do it all the time. I told him I was frustrated and at that point, Rick started yelling at me. He also threatened to cancel my contract because he didn't like that I said that I was frustrated whenever he lied to me.

Rick is the biggest problem that LGI has. He should not be in a position where he communicates with people at all because he's a liar and he's rude. But everybody else has been great, like Philip and Christian. Once I was here, Philip handled all of the loan stuff, and he was extremely professional. That was a great experience. Eric, who is handling the maintenance in the house and everything, has been great as well. I like the neighborhood and the house. They've been really good at getting out here and taking care of what needed to be taken care of, like the air conditioning and the plumbing. I had some major problems the first couple of days I moved in but because they handled it, it didn't continue to be a big problem.

I was able to close within 30 days. But when I moved into the house, it wasn't ready because LGI waits until the day of closing to come in and do any kind of punch list or repairs. I had the house inspected and they couldn't check the air conditioning because of the temperature that day. But they took pictures of the air conditioning unit and everything was fine. After I got moved in and the air conditioner didn't work, they went up there and it was all torn apart. Somebody knew it wasn't working and let me move into the house with it not working. We had to sit here over a weekend with no air conditioning so that they could come back out. It was a major repair. There was a hole in a line in the wall. But the techs did a great job and they did it right away. Ultimately, I had to replace the entire unit outside because it went bad from having been left leaking and turned on.

At the end of the day, only having to pay $1,000 of the closing cost was a pretty good deal, especially with the way the market is right now. But the craftsmanship of the house is kind of poor. The texture in the wall looks so bad in so many places. There are so many things that I have to fix because LGI is not taking the time to do what they are doing. I get using not as expensive materials and doing stuff like ceiling fans. But if you're gonna pay somebody to come in and texture the walls, make sure they're doing a good job. If you're gonna be doing the baseboards and if something's broken or cracked, don't just fill it full of putty. This is a brand-new house, so they should replace the board.

LGI Homes response

Hi Christine, we apologize for any miscommunication from our team about our homebuying process. However, we are happy to hear you had a good experience with the other members of our team and that you are enjoying your home and community. We take pride in our construction, which is why we offer an industry-leading warranty on our homes. Please submit a warranty claim for any item you'd like addressed by our construction team to our warranty portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com. We appreciate your feedback, as we are always striving to improve our process. Congratulations on your new home, we hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Steve was the sales rep we had an appointment with and he seemed like he was out for our best interest. He let us know about the benefits of as far as lending and going through their lender or their preferred lender. We liked his personality and his care for what we wanted. That was why we decided to hang on and wait for this new build. As far as what we were looking at at the time, the houses that we were looking at already needed stuff. The roof needed be done. They already had people that lived there. The walls had to be painted. It was a choice between things that already had to be fixed versus getting into a new build, which was only $40,000, $50,000 more and not having to have that hassle of needing something right away. The builders have a structural warranty so that was a huge benefit. It just seemed all around that the benefits were much better going with a new build than a home that's already been built.

My wife and I have two kids and we have another kid on the way. We wanted a four-bedroom house. For the one we chose, we liked the floor plan and the way it was set up. There was a living room, kitchen, and downstairs area, which was nice. We got a big backyard, a nice big hallway, and a downstairs bathroom. All that's upstairs is just our rooms and our bathrooms. We always do a lot of family get-togethers. There’s no reason why everyone needs to be upstairs when everything is downstairs for everybody.

The process on the whole went really smoothly. The experience overall with Steve was awesome the whole time that we were waiting and he was reaching out with updates. He informed me, “Hey, this is what they're gonna want when you come and do your closing, or when you’re gonna be doing your prequal." He let me know so everything was really smooth sailing. There were a few issues with the flooring but LGI is already taking care of that. Steve went above and beyond for us as far as making sure that we understood what was going on and the benefits of going through them.

LGI Homes response

Hi Joshua, we are happy to hear your homebuying process went smoothly with Steve as your New Home Consultant! Congratulations on becoming a homeowner, we hope you have many more family get-togethers in your brand-new home!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

LGI is one of the better choices and better range of prices that we wanted for the square footage. We decided what we like and the rep explained the process. I always felt like buying a house would be complicated and lots of people told me it's stressful and arduous but we experienced the exact opposite. We decided to go with the preferred loan people with LGI and I felt like that really helped the process because they worked well together already. It was very straightforward.

LGI kept us updated. We were allowed to see the house as it was being constructed to see the final version before we finally moved in. The walkthrough was okay but I felt like we got a little tricked. Our backyard was all dirt and we understood it was supposed to be dirt but there had been rainstorms throughout January and people had been running around building the fence. There were huge footprints and the dirt was uneven. You could see there were pieces of trash. Then, they built the fence and nothing was done to the backyard to make it even or decent. They also had torn up the sod and there were five pieces of sod that were just mud. There was no grass. It was a very large and very obvious place that should have been fixed.

I asked them if they could fix that and the rep who was showing us around said they could. But there's a little paragraph on the sign-in paperwork that says if I have any issues that need to be addressed, I need to write them out in a couple of sentences. I didn't read the paragraph and put zero issues and it was my fault but I felt like I was tricked because the guy was like, "Okay, here, here, and here, and then just put zero here, and sign here." When I called back to say I would like to have the sod replaced and the backyard fixed, they said there's nothing for them to fix. It's kind of petty.

Also, when we went in, they were still doing paint touch-ups and there were little pieces of blue tape where they were supposed to be touching up paint. They said that by the time I get back, all the blue tape would be gone and all the touch-ups would be done. But we walk in the door and there were blue tapes everywhere and no touch-ups had been done. Other than those, the process went very smoothly and the community is really great. It seems like we have a good active community. I'm very happy with the purchase and with the community and I've had no problems with my house since we moved in.

LGI Homes response

Hi Cassandra, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback regarding the details of your closing paperwork and walkthrough and will use it to provide additional training to the local team. We are happy that your first time homebuying process went smoothly and are glad to hear that you love your community! If you have any outstanding items that you'd like to be addressed by our construction team, please submit a claim to our online warranty portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Larry was a bit pushy. He was very adamant on us using their lender and their title company. He constantly kept bringing it up after we had told him we were going to use our lender. He didn't seem to like that answer. When signed the documents, he made sure to point out everything that we did not get through LGI Homes by not using their vendor. After that, we spoke with his boss the rest of the process and everything seemed to have gone a little bit more smoothly there.

We're very happy with our home and the community we're in. They're building a new section, which is what we're in and there's only one park in the whole neighborhood, which isn't a bad thing. But they should have a secondary park, even if it's just a small one, and then some more trails 'cause there's only one sidewalk and it gets a little crowded with people wanting to do their bikes and walk their dogs.

They also have an HOA that they're in charge of until the neighborhood takes over. They don't seem to enforce vehicles in the road, so there's a couple of houses at the front of the neighborhood that have four or five vehicles to one house, and because they don't have enough parking, they're parked on the side of the road. It's one of those where it's four or five houses on both sides of the road that are like that. So, you're driving through a tunnel of cars and you don't know if someone else is coming your way or if you're going someone else's way and it's almost like a road hazard. They should put up children-at-play signs because it seems like people like to speed a little bit through the neighborhood, especially if they're going to put a park. Also, if at least there were some child-at-play signs, it might help a little bit. They want to put speed bumps in, but that's all through the county, which I'm not a big fan of speed bumps.

LGI Homes response

Hi Brittany, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to hear you are happy with your home and neighborhood. We appreciate your feedback about the community additions and will investigate further on how we can improve. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

Brandon did a great job at the job that he does. However, I thought we were able to pick our lot at this location and pick house styles or a little bit more open than what it actually was. I wasn't informed of that until the end of the presentation. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt like I was at a timeshare all day. If he would have just told me that upfront, I would have been a lot better. It was his first day and I understand, he didn't want to scare off a sale. But, the first thing for me is just being honest with people. In our neighborhood, we have some really nice views of the metroplex. They release the homes only at certain times. That's one thing I had to find out at the end. The homes that were available were the first homes and down the bottom where they had no view.

It's a great quality home. There's just some cosmetic stuff that could have been done better. Some of my light switches looked like we let the rookie go and cut the hole in the sheetrock and the plates didn't even cover the hole. They also should do a better job of locking the homes, when they put doors on them. I had somebody steal my fridge, my oven and my microwave a week before we were supposed to close. Some of the drywall, there are also some imperfections. Sometimes there's a lot of vague things that go on there. If I'm seeing house repairs, I tell Brandon and it just doesn't seem like it goes anywhere. I don't know if that's him not reporting it to the contractor or they're just so busy. How LGI works, they just fix everything at the end.

I also don't know who picked the color scheme of the inside because it's a horrible color. I don't know why they would put beige walls with dark gray cabinets and gray and white granite and gray floors. Everything looks good but the wall. It just needed to be a light gray color. We had to change it before we even move in. It was unacceptable for my wife. She did not like it at all. Even the contractors that were out there, once they came back in after they painted it, they were like, "Oh, wow. This looks a lot better than what we're restricted to do." But I'm really happy with the final result. I would still recommend LGI.

LGI Homes response

Hi Cody, thanks for your review! For any items that need to be fixed in your home, please be sure you submit warranty claims through our online portal. We appreciate your feedback about your experience and are happy to hear that you are enjoying your new home.

Original review: June 15, 2022

LGI helped us a lot. They were tremendous, especially Kai, Mark, and Linda. Everybody in the office was great from the time we came to say we might want to do it to the time we moved in. They even got us a cake that was awesome. The cake was great. Everything's going smooth, so far. LGI had a promotion going on where they gave us all the stainless steel appliances, and then they covered our down payment and we paid the closing cost. I was like, “Yeah, that's a win-win situation right there.” We have a Samsung refrigerator with the tablet in it and we included that with our old house. So, we definitely lucked out to get the refrigerator to be part of that package. It's very exciting. In the beginning, we did have a few electrical issues, but they came right out on the next business day. It was over the weekend and it wasn't an emergency. When the tech came, he fixed it and we haven't had any issues since then.

LGI Homes response

Hi Ericka, we are happy to hear you had a wonderful experience with LGI Homes. We appreciate your feedback and we hope you enjoy your new home for years to come!

Original review: June 13, 2022

I had an agent show me a house, I made an offer and I agreed to pay the price they asked. I haven’t had any issues with the quality of the build and I like the community but the closing experience was bad. I had to pay an extra $1,200 more than I expected because the closing cost was misrepresented by the party that represented LGI. The agent for LGI who did the final walkthrough wasn't very knowledgeable. I knew more about the house than he did, which was weird. I asked him some questions and he said he didn't know. He should know that.

The landscaping was horrible. There was a little bit of sod in the front and the sides, and the rest of it, LGI put acrylic down over grass seed and it was nasty. It was poorly prepared and there were stones and construction debris under it. The material was not biodegradable. You had to pull it up. The landscaping looked more like erosion and sediment control than a legitimate lawn. They were just trying to control runoff and not trying to grow nice grass. The guy at closing said that I was gonna have to overseed next year anyway. But I like the house. It has a nice quality.

LGI Homes response
    Hi Christine, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us with your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you had a less-than-excellent experience with our team. We apologize for any miscommunication and we appreciate your feedback so that we can provide additional training to our team.
    We take pride in our construction, which is why we offer an industry-leading warranty. If you haven't already, please submit any items you'd like addressed by our construction team to lgihomes.corrigo.com. We appreciate your patience as our team addresses your warranty claims.

Overall, we are happy to hear you are loving the quality of your home. Congratulations on your new home and thank you for choosing LGI Homes.

Original review: June 12, 2022

We were supposed to close on a certain day but it took LGI a couple more days to close. But it went well. I like the home. I just have some problems with the yard work. They didn't do anything for the drainage. So, when the water drain, it made holes in the yard. They keep saying they’re gonna send somebody but it's been over a month and nobody's been here. The water is just draining. The sod is in place but the water’s been washing the dirt up under the sod. I have big holes in the yard. It is frustrating and it's going into my neighbor's yard. I hate that, but there's nothing I can do.

I'm single, so I'm trusting LGI to do what they need to do. I'm gonna have to find somebody else to fix it because I don't know if that's gonna eventually erode away. I don't know what's gonna happen but I wanna take preventive measures. But other than that, the home is fine. I just need LGI to follow through. Overall, I would refer them. I would tell somebody to come out here but please check the site and make sure your sod is in right. This is my third brand-new construct new home and this is the first time I had that kind of problem.

LGI Homes response

Hi Mary, we are happy to hear that overall your experience with LGI Homes went well! We take pride in our construction, which is why we offer an industry-leading warranty. Please submit any items you'd like addressed by our construction team to our online warranty portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com.

Original review: June 11, 2022

It's much easier going with LGI Homes. Everything was smooth. Eve was the one who did all the loan information. She was very pleasant. The community is still developing. Everybody’s still moving in. And the neighbors that we have, so far, seem very nice. I like the area. It's very quiet.

LGI Homes response

Hi Latoya, we appreciate you taking time to leave us with your feedback. We are happy that you are satisfied with our simplified homebuying process! Congratulations on your new home, we hope you enjoy your community for years to come.

Original review: June 10, 2022

The only criticism I would have is that LGI Homes had to delay the closing several times because they weren't finished with the construction. It all worked out in the end, but it was a little unnerving. They originally quoted us April 29th, and we closed on May 20th. We’re still having some painting and a bit of work done on the home. One of the reasons that the closing was delayed was there was a curve and one of the walls from some sort of design fault that they had to redo. Other than that, we liked that the home was a very nice size. The layout of the house was also nice. We liked the location of it. Next to some wetlands, so it wouldn't be too closed in with houses right next to it.

LGI Homes response

Hi Jean, we appreciate your feedback as we continue to improve. We are happy to hear you are loving your home and its location. Congratulations, we hope you enjoy it for years to come.

LGI Homes Company Information