4.1/5 (264 ratings)

About LGI Homes

LGI Homes is a new home builder that builds homes and communities in more than 20 states across the country. It purchases, plans and develops land for its new communities and puts streamlined practices into place to cut costs and speed up the homebuying and building processes.

Pros

• Hires expert builders
  • Uses high-quality materials
  • Dozens of homes and floor plans

Cons

• Limited upgrade options
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

LGI Homes is a leader in the home construction industry. It creates luxury homes in vibrant communities in states all across the U.S.

Top LGI Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The combination of the price, the builder incentives, and the amount of home that we were getting for the money led us to choosing LGI Homes … it just made so much more sense to g...

Verified

My friend bought a house from LGI Homes and referred me to them. I went over there and I talked to them. And they offered me a good plan to buy a house there. The rep was the grea...

LGI Homes floor plans

LGI Homes offers floor plans for every budget and need. Check out the following home designs to see which one is right for you.

CompleteHome

CompleteHome is LGI Home’s trademark home design. Every CompleteHome includes cutting-edge amenities and features that include:

• Whirlpool appliance packages
  • Granite or quartz countertops
  • Programmable thermostats
  • Finished garage
  • Professional front yard landscaping

Every house is designed with the modern home buyer in mind and has innovative features, straightforward pricing and popular upgrades to create a home that exceeds expectations in both form and function.

CompleteHome Plus

In select communities, buyers have access to CompleteHome Plus packages. This luxury upgrade features all of the amenities of the CompleteHome package plus:

• Stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator
  • Designer light fixtures
  • Two-tone interior paint package
  • Enhanced landscaping package

These extra touches add more value to your house and enhance the features of your new home.

Active Adult Communities

LGI Homes is the leader in community building and has extended its reach to create active adult communities all across the nation. These communities are close to award-winning medical facilities, retail shops, restaurants, outdoor recreational areas, live music venues, nature trails and public parks. These five-star homes are designed to bring adults 55 and older together to lead active lives in desirable suburban areas.

LGI Homes warranty

LGI Homes offers a 10-year structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most of the home’s other features and amenities. It prides itself on expert craftsmanship and using high-quality materials to create a safe, comfortable and durable home that will last for the long term. Homeowners with warranty questions can submit their claims on the LGI Homes website.

LGI Homes prices

LGI Homes range from $166,000 to $356,000. It often helps with closing costs. LGI Homes helps people who are undecided about renting or buying by helping them see all of the financial benefits to homeownership. With LGI Homes, you may qualify for no money down financing.

LGI Homes FAQ

What credit score is needed for LGI Homes?
Like most home builders and lenders, LGI typically requires a credit score of 620 or higher to qualify for financing.
Does LGI pay closing costs?
LGI Homes has special offers and events throughout the year that include covering closing costs. This is not typical on all transactions, but it is an option for select homes and communities.
How do LGI Homes work?
LGI Homes is a premium home builder. Buyers can browse the website for LGI Home communities in their area and speak to an expert to help find or design the home of their dreams.
Are LGI Homes good quality?
Yes. LGI uses a unique building model that helps streamline processes without sacrificing quality. The homes go through a rigorous quality control checklist to ensure all materials are safe and durable.
Does LGI Homes do rent-to-own?
No. LGI Homes builds homes for ownership only.

is LGI Homes legit?

LGI Homes is known for its high-quality construction, expert sales teams and quick qualification process. Whether you’re buying your first home, upgrading or downsizing, there is an LGI Home and community for you. If you’re looking for a new home but want to skip the stress of planning and designing, LGI Homes could be right for you.

LGI Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: July 6, 2022

We were in the process of buying a house and we were looking. But every time we turned around, we didn't even have enough time to go and look at houses before they were sold. Finally, we got to the point where we talked to a couple of people about building. We lived in Orange City at the time. We drove by, saw LGI, and we swung in there and talked to somebody one day. They gave us a packet of information and said if we decided to own a house, we could talk to somebody else if we had a plan that we were looking for in mind.

We talked it over a little bit between me and my husband and ended up deciding that this was what we needed for the time. LGI told us that it was gonna be about a six-month turnaround. We went ahead and signed the papers. We got pushed back almost a year. There were things that we weren't prepared for but we waited it out. We’re just happy we did because of the turnout of how everything ended up. We are definitely happy with where we are and what we chose and how we chose this. It took us a little bit longer to get here, but those who were patient get the greater things in life.

I like the innate craziness of the environment now and where we are. I'm glad it took as long as it did because we actually got ourselves more financially stable for the house. It was a great thing for us to wait as long as we did because of all of the things that we were able to get in line before we actually took over the payments. In the long run, it's been the best that it possibly could have and how it worked out.

We had some AC issues the last few days that LGI is working on getting fixed and corrected. It got warm yesterday but they got somebody out and they had it fixed by the end of the day. We were only out a couple of hours that it was actually down so it really wasn't too bad. There's a section in the back of our yard that and the sod was already dead. They're working on replacing it. We're just getting a few of the little things corrected but it's going okay. It’s a brand-new home so you can’t get too mad about it. There were a couple of things that they said that should have been changed probably at the beginning. The air filter wasn't changed and was blocking everything up. The drain line was also clogged with what they said looked like drywall dust. Other than that, we've not had too many issues.

LGI Homes response

Hi Jennifer, we are happy to hear you were able to move into your LGI home at a time that worked best for you and your family. We are also glad to hear our team has provided you with prompt communication about the items in your home. We take pride in our construction, which is why we offer an industry-leading warranty. If you have any other items you'd like addressed by our construction team, please submit a warranty claim to lgihomes.corrigo.com. Congratulations on your home and we hope you enjoy it for years to come!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2022

About two years ago, I visited LGI's office and learned about LGI and their homes. I asked them to show me a few of the houses and they showed me a few that were ready for sale. I liked the way it was designed. Unfortunately, at that time, I didn't have the down payment so I had to wait. I like that the home has a separate office 'cause I work from home. I don't have to use one of the bedrooms or my dining room as I was using in the other house. I went shopping for a used house but when you walk inside, everything needs to be upgraded or you could tell that they painted to make it look clean.

My sales guy, Tommy, was marvelous. He kept me informed. I had told him specifically where I wanted the house. I didn't want it on a main corner of a main street. I wanted it where if you turn from the main street, you got to do a couple of turns to get to the street. Tommy would send me pictures every time he would come out here and show me the next level like when the cabinets were put in and when the flooring was put in. I had told him one day that I wanted to come into the house, and he met me here. We walked through the house and in that small walkthrough, I found many things that I didn't like. Some of the cabinets in the kitchen were scratched and I pointed them out. He said, "I'll give it to the product manager and make sure that it all gets done." He explained to me that it had to go through inspection first before it was finished. I was happy that he explained that to me.

I still had scratched cabinets but I'm happy they came out a week after I closed, fixing what needed to be fixed. I'm happy that everybody moved fast. They did everything in that one week. The bedrooms had carpet and I don't like carpet. That was another thing that Tommy did. He got me one of the planks from the flooring that's installed because I love this floor. I wanted to match it as close as I could get it for the bedroom. I had to wait for those floorings to be installed before I could physically move in.

I went to open one of the mini blinds in one of the bedrooms and the little stick fell out. I was trying to screw it, but it wouldn't go in. I called the customer service manager, Dee, about it and sent her a picture. She came to fix it but couldn't do it. When she lifted it up, it's all scratched. She right away put an order. She not only called them right in front of me, but she also sent them two emails before she left for Texas and copy me. They have yet to come and repair that. That's the only negative thing that I'm a little dissatisfied with compared to the cabinet guys, the flooring guys and even the concrete guys who came in that first week with no problems. But I love the home. Everybody that's come to visit me so far loves the house. I recommend LGI Homes.

LGI Homes response

Hi Mildred, thank you for choosing LGI Homes for your first home purchase! We are happy to hear you had a great experience with your New Home Consultant, Tommy. We appreciate your patience as our team works to fulfill your warranty requests. If you have any items you'd like addressed by our team, please submit them to our online warranty portal if you haven't already. Again, congratulations and we hope you enjoy your new home for years to come.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I dealt with Rick and he lied. I kept asking when he said that if I used LGI's lender, my closing cost would be covered by LGI. But that was completely false because the $1,000 that I put towards escrow did not go towards my down payment, it went towards closing cost. So in fact, they paid all but $1,000 of the closing cost. He never even apologized for giving me false information. He was just very defensive and he was rude about it. But Luke was great. He told me that he had to go by what was in the contract. He was the one who let me know pretty well into it.

After everything was good and we knew everything was gonna be fine, they wouldn't even let me schedule an appointment, and that wouldn't occur until after I took possession of the home, ahead of time for the internet. Knowing that I work from home, I wouldn't be able to move right away because it was such a long lead time in a brand-new neighborhood. Rick said that it would be fine but I found out three weeks into it that he didn't approve it. Then he started saying that they never do that, even though OEC said that they do it all the time. I told him I was frustrated and at that point, Rick started yelling at me. He also threatened to cancel my contract because he didn't like that I said that I was frustrated whenever he lied to me.

Rick is the biggest problem that LGI has. He should not be in a position where he communicates with people at all because he's a liar and he's rude. But everybody else has been great, like Philip and Christian. Once I was here, Philip handled all of the loan stuff, and he was extremely professional. That was a great experience. Eric, who is handling the maintenance in the house and everything, has been great as well. I like the neighborhood and the house. They've been really good at getting out here and taking care of what needed to be taken care of, like the air conditioning and the plumbing. I had some major problems the first couple of days I moved in but because they handled it, it didn't continue to be a big problem.

I was able to close within 30 days. But when I moved into the house, it wasn't ready because LGI waits until the day of closing to come in and do any kind of punch list or repairs. I had the house inspected and they couldn't check the air conditioning because of the temperature that day. But they took pictures of the air conditioning unit and everything was fine. After I got moved in and the air conditioner didn't work, they went up there and it was all torn apart. Somebody knew it wasn't working and let me move into the house with it not working. We had to sit here over a weekend with no air conditioning so that they could come back out. It was a major repair. There was a hole in a line in the wall. But the techs did a great job and they did it right away. Ultimately, I had to replace the entire unit outside because it went bad from having been left leaking and turned on.

At the end of the day, only having to pay $1,000 of the closing cost was a pretty good deal, especially with the way the market is right now. But the craftsmanship of the house is kind of poor. The texture in the wall looks so bad in so many places. There are so many things that I have to fix because LGI is not taking the time to do what they are doing. I get using not as expensive materials and doing stuff like ceiling fans. But if you're gonna pay somebody to come in and texture the walls, make sure they're doing a good job. If you're gonna be doing the baseboards and if something's broken or cracked, don't just fill it full of putty. This is a brand-new house, so they should replace the board.

LGI Homes response

Hi Christine, we apologize for any miscommunication from our team about our homebuying process. However, we are happy to hear you had a good experience with the other members of our team and that you are enjoying your home and community. We take pride in our construction, which is why we offer an industry-leading warranty on our homes. Please submit a warranty claim for any item you'd like addressed by our construction team to our warranty portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com. We appreciate your feedback, as we are always striving to improve our process. Congratulations on your new home, we hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

LGI is one of the better choices and better range of prices that we wanted for the square footage. We decided what we like and the rep explained the process. I always felt like buying a house would be complicated and lots of people told me it's stressful and arduous but we experienced the exact opposite. We decided to go with the preferred loan people with LGI and I felt like that really helped the process because they worked well together already. It was very straightforward.

LGI kept us updated. We were allowed to see the house as it was being constructed to see the final version before we finally moved in. The walkthrough was okay but I felt like we got a little tricked. Our backyard was all dirt and we understood it was supposed to be dirt but there had been rainstorms throughout January and people had been running around building the fence. There were huge footprints and the dirt was uneven. You could see there were pieces of trash. Then, they built the fence and nothing was done to the backyard to make it even or decent. They also had torn up the sod and there were five pieces of sod that were just mud. There was no grass. It was a very large and very obvious place that should have been fixed.

I asked them if they could fix that and the rep who was showing us around said they could. But there's a little paragraph on the sign-in paperwork that says if I have any issues that need to be addressed, I need to write them out in a couple of sentences. I didn't read the paragraph and put zero issues and it was my fault but I felt like I was tricked because the guy was like, "Okay, here, here, and here, and then just put zero here, and sign here." When I called back to say I would like to have the sod replaced and the backyard fixed, they said there's nothing for them to fix. It's kind of petty.

Also, when we went in, they were still doing paint touch-ups and there were little pieces of blue tape where they were supposed to be touching up paint. They said that by the time I get back, all the blue tape would be gone and all the touch-ups would be done. But we walk in the door and there were blue tapes everywhere and no touch-ups had been done. Other than those, the process went very smoothly and the community is really great. It seems like we have a good active community. I'm very happy with the purchase and with the community and I've had no problems with my house since we moved in.

LGI Homes response

Hi Cassandra, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback regarding the details of your closing paperwork and walkthrough and will use it to provide additional training to the local team. We are happy that your first time homebuying process went smoothly and are glad to hear that you love your community! If you have any outstanding items that you'd like to be addressed by our construction team, please submit a claim to our online warranty portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2021

Brandon did a great job at the job that he does. However, I thought we were able to pick our lot at this location and pick house styles or a little bit more open than what it actually was. I wasn't informed of that until the end of the presentation. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt like I was at a timeshare all day. If he would have just told me that upfront, I would have been a lot better. It was his first day and I understand, he didn't want to scare off a sale. But, the first thing for me is just being honest with people. In our neighborhood, we have some really nice views of the metroplex. They release the homes only at certain times. That's one thing I had to find out at the end. The homes that were available were the first homes and down the bottom where they had no view.

It's a great quality home. There's just some cosmetic stuff that could have been done better. Some of my light switches looked like we let the rookie go and cut the hole in the sheetrock and the plates didn't even cover the hole. They also should do a better job of locking the homes, when they put doors on them. I had somebody steal my fridge, my oven and my microwave a week before we were supposed to close. Some of the drywall, there are also some imperfections. Sometimes there's a lot of vague things that go on there. If I'm seeing house repairs, I tell Brandon and it just doesn't seem like it goes anywhere. I don't know if that's him not reporting it to the contractor or they're just so busy. How LGI works, they just fix everything at the end.

I also don't know who picked the color scheme of the inside because it's a horrible color. I don't know why they would put beige walls with dark gray cabinets and gray and white granite and gray floors. Everything looks good but the wall. It just needed to be a light gray color. We had to change it before we even move in. It was unacceptable for my wife. She did not like it at all. Even the contractors that were out there, once they came back in after they painted it, they were like, "Oh, wow. This looks a lot better than what we're restricted to do." But I'm really happy with the final result. I would still recommend LGI.

LGI Homes response

Hi Cody, thanks for your review! For any items that need to be fixed in your home, please be sure you submit warranty claims through our online portal. We appreciate your feedback about your experience and are happy to hear that you are enjoying your new home.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

I reached out to LGI after doing research to find a home. I contacted Josh ** and met with him to see the homes in person. I had my credit pulled and I was going forward with the process. My, then, boyfriend decided he wanted to buy the home with me and said he wanted to get married and adopt my children. His credit was only 480 so I had to pay off his debt and credit, and add him to my credit cards to be approved. We were going to use a VA loan so that meant I could not be on the mortgage but I would be on the deed. I pulled his credit up to 650 in under 2 months (I Have proof). I paid the down payment on the house.

The day before closing, Josh sent me an email and voicemail reminding me to bring my ID to closing to sign the deed. The very next day, closing day, the happiest day of my life after being a single mom of 3 special needs children without child support, living in a 2 bedroom apartment so I can manage, struggling through nursing school to get ahead in life... my boyfriend contacted Josh and told him I was not wanting to buy the home with him and I was not showing up for closing. (LIES, OBVIOUSLY) and at 8:17 am (I Have the proof), he had my name removed from the deed as I was at the office to sign on OUR house! Nobody spoke to me, or asked me! We sat down at closing, and my ex signed his papers while I waited for my turn.

After he signed, they handed him keys and congratulated him. I asked what happened to my signing, and Josh it was a "mistake" and an "easy fix" and told me to do the walk thru on the house and come back so he can fix it. However, when we returned, he did not fix it! Now, one month before Christmas, my 3 special needs children and I are HOMELESS! We have been evicted, literally, from OUR home!

Without warning, no notice! THROWN OUT BY LAW ENFORCEMENT! I was told I do not own the home and have no rights! I just lost my whole life! MY credit, my home, my everything! I am homeless! LGI will have to answer. I am not letting this go! LGI will be held accountable and be repaying everything! I will not stop until it is making INTERNATIONAL headlines. This is HORRIBLE! My middle son, who is autistic, is already suicidal! This is unjust, and unlawful. Josh & LGI will be held responsible. I previously emailed corporate with nonreply. This is being escalated.

LGI Homes response

Hi Ms. Carlisle, we are sorry to hear about the experience you have gone through. Unfortunately, we cannot add your name to the deed. Your now ex-boyfriend would have to be the one to add your name to the title. We understand this is not the resolution you were hoping for, but there is nothing we can do.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

The outside of the house is great. But there is some cosmetic issue on the inside as far as unfinished railing. They weren't sanded down so they've got a really rough edge to them. There is missing paint in several locations. We've had some plumbing problems. My ceiling had to be redone because the pipe leaked. I didn't get a lot of clarification on that. So they're redoing my ceiling right now.

The construction managers are pretty quick to get on the scene. Last night, we had an incident where we were told that plumbing is not covered in warranty as far as if it was the owner's fault or it’s a blockage. But the plumber that came out said that a new house should not have issues such as that. There was a clog somewhere between 20 to 23 feet. He is suspicious that it happened due to the plumbing being not installed properly. Not necessarily the ceiling themselves, or the sealant, or the pipes being connected to one another, but the direction in which the pipes were laid. I paid $600 for a plumber to come out and tell me that there was something wrong but not tell me what it was because he can't see into the wall.

Carlo, the construction manager, is great. He really tries to help in the areas that he can. But there are some things that are beyond the construction. There are different departments. But they are communicative. They try to resolve what they can on their end. They're willing to extend as much assistance as they can. The home itself is beautiful. I expected there to be some subtle flaws so we're not heartbroken over it. We just want it to be done so I can put my couch back to where it belongs.

LGI Homes response

Hi Katie, we are sorry to hear you've been having issues with your home. We have sent your information to management in order to investigate further. If you haven't already, please submit a claim to our warranty portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

The rep really helped me out and made sure I had everything I needed to move forward with the process. The home buying process was fairly easy too. As soon as we got in the contract, the loan officer definitely helped me along the way, and we closed in 30 days. I love the home, so far. I would highly recommend LGI Homes. If you live near the Air Force base, it's an easy commute and it's great people to work with.

LGI Homes response

Hi Jaleel, we appreciate you leaving us with a review! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Our LGI consultant was Brian. He was really responsive. I appreciated how quick he was to respond, even if he didn't know any answer. The first time we looked at the house, we immediately signed a contract. We were told that the seller would do a buy-down of our rate and cover all of our closing costs. But they had a new promotion and didn't realize that when we went in for the loan, we found out that they couldn't give us both. That was really frustrating because immediately, the price of the house went up. A lot of that, to us, was sketchy because we were guaranteed one thing upfront, but then when it came to actually purchasing it, we were told it's gonna be a higher price.

We’ve been here for about a week now. There have been a few things that we've noticed that are minor and nitpicky. We were also promised one thing and then we ended up with the puniest little fridge ever, which was not the picture we were shown, so we ended up just moving it into our garage. There’s also no backyard. But overall, we've gotten what we've paid for and I would still recommend LGI.

LGI Homes response

Hi Allison, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback as we are always striving to improve our process to better serve our customers. Regarding any items you noticed after closing, we are proud to offer a one-year workmanship warranty. Please submit any items you'd like addressed by our team to our online portal at lgihomes.corrigo.com. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

We decided in April to go with LGI. They didn't, however, start building the house until August. They completed the build at the end of October. But we've not been impressed with closing with our property manager. We've had quite a lot of issues with the house and with the construction of the home, and the construction manager is just not responsive at all to the issues. We wrote all the issues down in our final contract before we signed on the house with the issues that need to be fixed within 14 days.

However, I'm not sure he's gonna get it done in time because he's not responding at this point. He was somewhat responsive for the first 24 to 36 hours, but since we've closed, after that, he hasn't really been the most responsive. Our problems have not been fixed, such as our roof has holes in it and it’s improperly put together. We had a roof inspection and they found issues. We also noticed the cabinets have many chips and are not installed properly and that hasn't been fixed. We also had some plumbing issues on the back along with multiple landscaping issues and water not draining properly. He just hasn't been very proactive in getting that stuff fixed. This is all stuff that we've been talking to him and asking him to get fixed for almost three weeks now, and it just hasn't been happening. So that's been really frustrating.

LGI Homes response

Hi Makenna, we are concerned by your review, as this is not the typical experience with LGI Homes and we are sorry to hear you've had a less-than-exceptional experience with our team. We have sent this to management in order to investigate further. Thank you.

LGI Homes Company Information