2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

3.9/5 (273 ratings)

About LGI Homes

LGI Homes is a new home builder that builds homes and communities in more than 20 states across the country. It purchases, plans and develops land for its new communities and puts streamlined practices into place to cut costs and speed up the homebuying and building processes.

Pros

• Hires expert builders
  • Uses high-quality materials
  • Dozens of homes and floor plans

Cons

• Limited upgrade options
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

LGI Homes is a leader in the home construction industry. It creates luxury homes in vibrant communities in states all across the U.S.

Top LGI Homes Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The combination of the price, the builder incentives, and the amount of home that we were getting for the money led us to choosing LGI Homes … it just made so much more sense to g...

Verified

My friend bought a house from LGI Homes and referred me to them. I went over there and I talked to them. And they offered me a good plan to buy a house there. The rep was the grea...

LGI Homes floor plans

LGI Homes offers floor plans for every budget and need. Check out the following home designs to see which one is right for you.

CompleteHome

CompleteHome is LGI Home’s trademark home design. Every CompleteHome includes cutting-edge amenities and features that include:

• Whirlpool appliance packages
  • Granite or quartz countertops
  • Programmable thermostats
  • Finished garage
  • Professional front yard landscaping

Every house is designed with the modern home buyer in mind and has innovative features, straightforward pricing and popular upgrades to create a home that exceeds expectations in both form and function.

CompleteHome Plus

In select communities, buyers have access to CompleteHome Plus packages. This luxury upgrade features all of the amenities of the CompleteHome package plus:

• Stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator
  • Designer light fixtures
  • Two-tone interior paint package
  • Enhanced landscaping package

These extra touches add more value to your house and enhance the features of your new home.

Active Adult Communities

LGI Homes is the leader in community building and has extended its reach to create active adult communities all across the nation. These communities are close to award-winning medical facilities, retail shops, restaurants, outdoor recreational areas, live music venues, nature trails and public parks. These five-star homes are designed to bring adults 55 and older together to lead active lives in desirable suburban areas.

LGI Homes warranty

LGI Homes offers a 10-year structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most of the home’s other features and amenities. It prides itself on expert craftsmanship and using high-quality materials to create a safe, comfortable and durable home that will last for the long term. Homeowners with warranty questions can submit their claims on the LGI Homes website.

LGI Homes prices

LGI Homes range from $166,000 to $356,000. It often helps with closing costs. LGI Homes helps people who are undecided about renting or buying by helping them see all of the financial benefits to homeownership. With LGI Homes, you may qualify for no money down financing.

LGI Homes FAQ

What credit score is needed for LGI Homes?
Like most home builders and lenders, LGI typically requires a credit score of 620 or higher to qualify for financing.
Does LGI pay closing costs?
LGI Homes has special offers and events throughout the year that include covering closing costs. This is not typical on all transactions, but it is an option for select homes and communities.
How do LGI Homes work?
LGI Homes is a premium home builder. Buyers can browse the website for LGI Home communities in their area and speak to an expert to help find or design the home of their dreams.
Are LGI Homes good quality?
Yes. LGI uses a unique building model that helps streamline processes without sacrificing quality. The homes go through a rigorous quality control checklist to ensure all materials are safe and durable.
Does LGI Homes do rent-to-own?
No. LGI Homes builds homes for ownership only.

is LGI Homes legit?

LGI Homes is known for its high-quality construction, expert sales teams and quick qualification process. Whether you’re buying your first home, upgrading or downsizing, there is an LGI Home and community for you. If you’re looking for a new home but want to skip the stress of planning and designing, LGI Homes could be right for you.

LGI Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

The person that I dealt with at LGI made me feel comfortable and he sounded very knowledgeable. He had a nice way of talking and made me feel like I was on the right track. It was great. From the countertops to the flooring and the cabinets, the quality was better than your typical generic type of product. So, I appreciated that. That was nice. The community is good. The area that they're building at is a small Townsville and I like that environment.

There is a downfall though. The HVAC is not getting any airflow downstairs. I was given a temporary fix to rotate my living room fan clockwise to try to pull some of the hot air upstairs down and it works and it's fine. So the first couple of weeks, I was freezing downstairs. It was in the low 60s. I didn't know if it was me but I realized it was something that had to do with the airflow because I closed off the vents upstairs and then downstairs, I made sure they're all open and I wasn't getting any airflow. So, I was sure that there was no heat coming out. That was about 10 days after my move in and I started notifying everyone that this was going on. I got a run around where they were telling me that it was something that I was gonna have to go to the warranty people. They refused me and they said that this wasn’t a warranty emergency issue. I got to go back to the LGI guys.

I went back to the LGI guys, talking with my lender and then the construction quality manager. He ended up calling the warranty guys back and saying they needed to come out here. The schedule got screwed up and they never got ahold of me on whether they were going to come out. I kept getting text messages saying that if I haven't heard from them, let the guy know. So I texted everyone back and I said that I haven't heard from anybody. It’s still a problem. I was told that the construction manager went to a different division where he's doing something else so he wasn't available anymore. I went back to the lender and he told me to send out another warranty through the website. So I got deflated with all that and I haven't done it yet. It's back in my plate to go back to the warranty guys and send them out another message to get people alerted again.

There was another issue with the concrete. I have a huge broken-off piece on the front door porch area. The LGI reps went out there and tried to patch it. The patch got all broken the next day and they hadn't come back to fix it. I hope that I'm just the one case situation and not all the other homes are experiencing the same thing. I was trying to get all these little issues fixed that was there before I moved in. Otherwise, the house is great.

LGI Homes response

Hi Rocky, we apologize for the trouble you have been having. We are very surprised to hear about the airflow problem in your home! We did have to pause all non-warranty work for a while, but we are now working our way through all the outstanding claims that have been made. We do suggest resubmitting your claim so we can work on getting that fixed for you.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I've worked with LGI before and I like LGI and their newer home because you put $1,000 down, you secure the lot, and that's it. You don't have a bidding war when it comes to buying an older home. I like how even though the backyard was pretty bare, you can build what you want on it. You can decide how you want your backyard.

Everyone was pretty kind and really knowledgeable. Any questions that I had, they answered, and if they didn't have the answer, they responded really quickly with someone that did. So, it was a really pleasant overall experience. Usually, sometimes, when you're buying a home or you're talking to other Realtors, they kind of make you feel pressured. But when it comes to LGI, that's never the case.

Every representative I dealt with seemed like they're really there for you and they're always trying to help you out. When I bought my first LGI home, it was the same case. I had Cedric as my first person. When we moved to Washington, they tried to sell me a home and he was amazing. My other rep was kind of the same way. He's really personable. He said "Hey, if there's anything you need, just let me know." And that was the case when we did the house. He'd be there with us like, "Hey, if there's anything wrong, let me know now, we can get it fixed.” So, that was what we would do, and we visited the home quite a bit before it was finished.

The home has really good quality. There are minor things that I've noticed that I filed warranties for. But other than that, my first LGI home was amazing. I didn't ever recognize anything wrong with it. The second one, there were just minor things. When they were installing the stove, they scratched up the floor. We had the building manager. He was there and he wrote it down. He told us that it’d get taken care of. So, we're waiting on that. But other than that, everything else is pretty solid.

We love the home. Our new home community is really quiet, which we enjoy. I haven't really met too many people in the neighborhood so far. I've been kind of working a lot. But I definitely kind of prefer the community I'm in now over the community that was in Washington. The HOA we had in Washington was really controlling. That was one thing that I didn't like too much. I was worried about the same situation here when we bought our new LGI home, but the HOA here is very relaxed. They're not too pushy with anything. So, I prefer the neighborhood here so far. I recommend LGI to the majority of the people I talk to. The prices that LGI always offers are pretty hard to beat.

LGI Homes response

Hi Mark, we truly appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! We are thankful that you decided to buy with us again and are happy that you appreciate our simplified buying process and the value of our homes. We hope you continue to love the community and your home. Congratulations!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I called the number and told them that I was looking at possibly purchasing a home, that I had placed offers on two additional homes prior to that, and ended up bidding $15,000 more than the asking price. That still wasn't enough. There was a very high market and it was hard for me. After the second time of bidding that much more than the asking price and still that wasn't enough, someone outbid me. LGI explained to me there isn't going to be someone that can possibly outbid me so I don't have to keep searching and searching.

The person that I worked with, Joy, was good. I called that evening and she continued to talk with me through that night, texting and calling. She did a good job presenting everything to me, but at the same time, it was a little pushy. She said I needed to come the next day because these houses are selling fast. I ended up meeting her the very next day. Before I even saw the house, she said I needed to put my money down because the house could sell between us driving there, from the office to the lot. I ended up giving the money down. I saw the lot and everything looked good. I decided with the home for the price, it was good. I like that in the neighborhood that I'm in, Bailey Farms, the homes aren't right on top of each other. You still have a neighbor, but it's not like I can bring them out the window and touch their mouth.

The only thing that inconvenienced me a little was there was a huge tree that was rotten. I'm a first time home buyer so this is not something that I would probably be looking at. I did end up paying thousands of dollars to get it cut down because it was gonna eventually fall on my house or the neighbor's house. I feel like LGI can pay attention a little bit more to the backyard landscaping. It looks like they pay a lot of attention to the front yard but the backyard was a bit of a mess. There were a lot of branches that had fallen down and I had to do a little bit of cleaning up.

There should be blinds put all over the whole home as opposed to just the front of the home. Some LGI Homes are the complete feature where they put blinds throughout the whole home. For privacy reasons, I had to come in here and get someone to put up blinds throughout the home so I'm not standing in the dark wondering if someone out there is looking at me. Another thing that I didn't see in my walkthrough is the dishwasher is cracked. I can tell that it got cracked from a construction worker trying to jam it in there as opposed to placing it and maybe taking some extra time to look at it. I was told to file a warranty with that. There are a few things that were missed that I specifically talked to them in the walkthrough but I didn't see that those got done. They let me know this week, in order for them to get fixed, it will be faster to send a warranty claim.

I ended up getting some tile work done for the backsplash in the kitchen. When we did it, I could clearly see where one side of the wall was a little bit more sunken in than the other side. In my kitchen, the cabinet may not leveled because it appears to make one side of the wall in the corner look a little bit higher than the left corner. These are things that someone that specializes in tile would probably be able to point out. Other than those, everything else has been okay. I would do it again.

LGI Homes response

Hi Christie, we appreciate your review. Competing against others for resales homes can be stressful and we are proud to offer move-in ready homes as an alternative. Another benefit of new construction is that you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your home is backed by several warranties! Please be sure to file your claims through our convenient online warranty portal so we can resolve those items for you. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I was on a website trying to schedule an appointment with another property and someone from LGI Homes contacted me from my information that was put in that website. The house that they offered had everything that I wanted and it was in the price range that I wanted it to be in. So, I went with them. I dealt with two reps where one made the appointment and the other one, Dan, dealt with me when I went through the process. He was nice and I didn't have any issues with him. So far, I've been in my new home for a week and a half and when there is anything that I'm noticing, they've been very good about trying to come out and correct them.

But when I was in the office one day, the gentleman that called me to schedule my appointment was there and I don't know if he was aware that I was in the office or not, but at the time, he was talking to a guy and had him on speakerphone. I heard the entire conversation and the guy specifically asked him if they had homes available in an area. The rep said yes and he told the guy to just come down to their location to meet with them. After he got off the phone, one of the other agents went in and asked if he just told the guy that they had homes available in that area and he said, "Yes. You just tell them what they wanna hear. And then when you get them, you sell them on the property where you actually have houses."

I did not like that at all because it makes me feel like he did the same thing to me. Initially, I was looking in a different area and when I expressed that to him, he told me that they had homes there. But then, he showed a house in a different area. The only difference is that when I saw the house, I liked it and and I was open to moving to this area, even though it wasn't my ideal area to move into. Still, what he did is bad business practice and it can leave a bad taste in people's mouths about LGI Homes if they're being lied to and misled to think that they're just coming to talk with someone and they're going to get the home in the area that they're desiring to get when that's not the case. But other than that incident, overall, the process was easy and everything that I experienced was nice.

LGI Homes response

Hi Lastisha, we appreciate your feedback. We are surprised to hear about the conversation you overheard. We do believe that there are several factors that play into the decision to buy a home and recognize that buyers may reconsider their ideal location for the right home, but it is not our practice to give incorrect information. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We're thrilled that you love your home and that you enjoyed our simplified buying process. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

When you go with a new build, everything is new and you have a warranty, which kinda adds a little financial security to the purchase. I really got in depth with LGI Homes. I went to the website. Back when the company was finishing up the developments in Winston, I started doing more research. My experience with my LGI home consultant went pretty well for the most part. There was a change because they're no longer at the office. I was in the dark a little bit due to COVID. But I did find myself in the dark sometimes in between processes, as far as just staying updated, with phone calls and the closing date. And about giving me a heads up on the next process, keeping me updated or helping me set the expectation on what's next, there was a little bit of breakdown with that.

My home consultant is very optimistic. I enjoyed her spirit. The only thing was getting the information as we move along in the process. There were a lot of times where she didn't have anything for me because she was waiting on an update herself. Then there were times where I didn't know whether to call her or the loan consultant regarding certain matters. But she’s always available through text and phone calls. Sometimes she's even texted me back at 11 o'clock at night at times.

I'm still settling into the house. There was a problem I had around the foundation. There was a crack in the concrete insulation. I would have liked to see the panel replaced, but they just filled it up instead of replacing that cracked piece of insulation. They just sealed it up. I would like to see that replaced because now it looks like my house has a sunken dip in the side of it towards the rear. I fussed about that thing throughout the whole process.

I was in my master bath. I noticed that somebody scratched the mirror. I don't know whether it was in the warehouse or during installation, but someone was smoking and there is a little burn on one of my countertops. I've been so busy trying to get this house so I can actually live in it. I haven't had time to really bring up my issues and concerns. My cellophane has a little tick to it. There are a couple cabinet hinges that are loose. I was gonna try and get a list, so I can address it all at one time. Other than that, the quality of the home's build is nice. I like the community. It's quiet. I love the diversity.

LGI Homes response

Hi Kevin, we appreciate your feedback on how we can improve communication throughout the process. Please submit any issues you find with the home to our warranty portal and our team will review them with you. We are glad that you are happy with the home and community overall - congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Cut contract a month early, barely communicating, trying to upsell a house 39k above appraisals, several months of demanding more downpayment got to the point of 30% down, preferred lender is the worse. Do not and I repeat do not try the preferred lender. Good luck with everything but will never get into business with this company again. Please run while you can. Still waiting on our down payment. Horrible (period).

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

LGI's reps were solid, helpful, and quick to update. I had a good experience with them. We were able to move into a new house at a price we could afford. Also, the quality of the build is good. The only issue we're having now is the furnace isn't working and there seems to be weak airflow at the fan.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

We had been throwing bids at 30 other homes and the market was crazy so we ended up going with new construction. We went to LGI and picked the model that suited our needs. We just closed on the 17th and moved in on the 30th. There’s a couple of little things like some weather stripping that wasn't installed and a little bit of paint here, but nothing glaringly wrong. There's a warranty and everything will get taken care of. All the appliances are great. The materials used are outstanding. If you don’t want to bid on a home and don't want to go through the whole battle, just give LGI a shout and see what they got.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Their products are cookie cutter homes but a good value. But the customer service is terrible. Not sure it's just the person I got, but it seemed like he was the customer. They built my house with no air vent in one room and when I opened claim, they never called me back until 4pm the next day and he got mad at me for saying that they dropped ball on it! I mean who considers building and delivering a house without no air vent in a bedroom and then can't admit that they made a mistake!

LGI Homes response

Hi Thomas, we take pride in the quality of the materials we use and are happy to hear that you appreciate the value of our homes! We apologize for the way our team member handled the situation but are glad that you are in contact with someone about the situation.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

LGI had homes that were going to close fairly quickly and they were beautiful. They offered granite countertops instead of the crappy Formica so it was a good bargain for the money. It was a nice home for the cost and we didn't have to wait for a year to get it built. The house looked very small from the outside but when we walked in the door, it took our breath away. It looked great. We’re retired and have no children but we got a five-bedroom house. It was amazing. I like the open floor plan and that is wonderful as well as the master bedroom suite. There are three bathrooms, so I can have guests and everybody can be comfortable. I like the neighborhood. We came from Miami with a busy street behind us. We also have a canal behind us here. Everybody tried to be very helpful to us. The closing was a little bit delayed, further than we had expected, but everybody did a good job and got it closed for as quickly as they could. So, I have no complaints.

LGI Homes Company Information