2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.21/5

LGI Homes is a new home builder that builds homes and communities in more than 20 states across the country. It purchases, plans and develops land for its new communities and puts streamlined practices into place to cut costs and speed up the homebuying and building processes.

BOTTOM LINE

LGI Homes is a leader in the home construction industry. It creates luxury homes in vibrant communities in states all across the U.S.

PROS

• Hires expert builders
  • Uses high-quality materials
  • Dozens of homes and floor plans

CONS

• Limited upgrade options
  • Not available in all states

Top LGI Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

The combination of the price, the builder incentives, and the amount of home that we were getting for the money led us to choosing LGI Homes … it just made so much more sense to go with a new [home].

My friend bought a house from LGI Homes and referred me to them. I went over there and I talked to them. And they offered me a good plan to buy a house there. The rep was the greatest person. He explained how it works, and how everything goes. He also got a great attitude … the home is great and I l

LGI Homes floor plans

LGI Homes offers floor plans for every budget and need. Check out the following home designs to see which one is right for you.

CompleteHome

CompleteHome is LGI Home’s trademark home design. Every CompleteHome includes cutting-edge amenities and features that include:

• Whirlpool appliance packages
  • Granite or quartz countertops
  • Programmable thermostats
  • Finished garage
  • Professional front yard landscaping

Every house is designed with the modern home buyer in mind and has innovative features, straightforward pricing and popular upgrades to create a home that exceeds expectations in both form and function.

CompleteHome Plus

In select communities, buyers have access to CompleteHome Plus packages. This luxury upgrade features all of the amenities of the CompleteHome package plus:

• Stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator
  • Designer light fixtures
  • Two-tone interior paint package
  • Enhanced landscaping package

These extra touches add more value to your house and enhance the features of your new home.

Active Adult Communities

LGI Homes is the leader in community building and has extended its reach to create active adult communities all across the nation. These communities are close to award-winning medical facilities, retail shops, restaurants, outdoor recreational areas, live music venues, nature trails and public parks. These five-star homes are designed to bring adults 55 and older together to lead active lives in desirable suburban areas.

LGI Homes warranty

LGI Homes offers a 10-year structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most of the home’s other features and amenities. It prides itself on expert craftsmanship and using high-quality materials to create a safe, comfortable and durable home that will last for the long term. Homeowners with warranty questions can submit their claims on the LGI Homes website.

LGI Homes prices

LGI Homes range from $166,000 to $356,000. It often helps with closing costs. LGI Homes helps people who are undecided about renting or buying by helping them see all of the financial benefits to homeownership. With LGI Homes, you may qualify for no money down financing.

LGI Homes FAQ

What credit score is needed for LGI Homes?
Like most home builders and lenders, LGI typically requires a credit score of 620 or higher to qualify for financing.
Does LGI pay closing costs?
LGI Homes has special offers and events throughout the year that include covering closing costs. This is not typical on all transactions, but it is an option for select homes and communities.
How do LGI Homes work?
LGI Homes is a premium home builder. Buyers can browse the website for LGI Home communities in their area and speak to an expert to help find or design the home of their dreams.
Are LGI Homes good quality?
Yes. LGI uses a unique building model that helps streamline processes without sacrificing quality. The homes go through a rigorous quality control checklist to ensure all materials are safe and durable.
Does LGI Homes do rent-to-own?
No. LGI Homes builds homes for ownership only.

is LGI Homes legit?

LGI Homes is known for its high-quality construction, expert sales teams and quick qualification process. Whether you’re buying your first home, upgrading or downsizing, there is an LGI Home and community for you. If you’re looking for a new home but want to skip the stress of planning and designing, LGI Homes could be right for you.

LGI Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

We began our home search here in Colorado because we're still currently in Colorado. We were looking at a new build here and decided that we did not want the home again. We're told we should put money down, and it will be no problem. It would be completely fine in the event that we changed our mind because the home could be resold. So we did that. We tried then to terminate the contract, was told that we could not despite the paperwork that we signed to do as such. We’re military. So we got ordered to Georgia, and came across LGI again. We're like new people, “It'll be fine. Let's just try it.” So, we did. We were able to use the downpayment that we used here in Colorado, which I thought was very good. We already have invested money, so it was awesome that we didn't have to put down a downpayment again. That aspect of it was really good.

I did not love the LGI representative. I ended up having my own realtors, which thankfully I did, because I felt like there was a whole lot of disconnect. Compared to our home-buying process here in Colorado to the home-buying process in Georgia, I felt like I had to contact them. There was no weekly update. There was no scheduled walkthrough. And now, even though we have closed on the house on the 24th, there were still things that needed to be done. My realtor followed up today because we sent an email saying that we’re supposed to be done before we close. We walked through the house the day that we closed, and it still wasn't done yet. But the construction manager said that it will be done, but he didn't take notes. He remembered them, and so I feel like because of that, there were things that were missed.

One thing in particular, they thought that the ceiling was leaking from upstairs in one of the bathrooms. So, they went in to see what it was but it turned out, someone had just spilled water on the floor. It wasn't actually a leak. So, when they patched it, they only painted that one area of the ceiling, and so you could tell the difference in it. For me, moving in, I should not be able to walk into the dining room essentially, and see that big old spot that's discolored from the rest of the ceiling. It's an open concept so you can see the entire ceiling. It's like, “Oh, what’s that dark spot over there?” The fix was, “Once you put in your blinds, then you won't see the shadow.” That's not the answer. They should correct it because it's there. That wasn't done.

Also on the garage door, you have to hold the garage door button to close it. That has to be done when we get back, and that's fine. That's not a problem. But I didn't like that we weren't a part of the blue tape process. There was no blue tape process. We were just supposed to accept the house because they had multiple inspections as the house was going through each stage. So it was inspected and it was gonna be up to par. There were many things that were not up to par. I feel like a blue tape walkthrough could have alleviated those issues.

Here we are, two weeks after closing, those things still aren't done yet. When we went through a preferred lender, that was fine. We had absolutely no problems with that. I love the fact that the homeowners insurance is included, that the tax are included, all that thrown into an escrow. I don't have to worry about it. It's all included into my monthly mortgage payment. That’s amazing. I wish everybody did that.

The only thing is I expect to be able to walk into my brand new home and appreciate the fact that I did purchase a brand new home. It’s a new home for a reason, so it should already be prepared. I also felt like I had to constantly call them like, “How's it going? Is everything okay? Were you guys able to go out and do X, Y and Z? What is the status?" I'm out of state so I can't just drive by the house to see it. So I expected more communication. Aside from those things, I am excited to move. Once we get in there, hopefully we will have everything come corrected, and enjoy our brand new build. Overall, I love my house. We closed about 30 days out, and it closed on the day that they said that they will close. So those things, I appreciate. We didn’t have a back and forth.

LGI Homes response

Hi Yoshida, we appreciate your review and feedback. We do strive to provide consistent updates and appreciate you letting us know that you did not feel you received that - it is a training opportunity we will look into on our end. We have had some delays in fixing some items due to COVID and we appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to resolve everything while keeping everyone's safety in mind. We are glad that you are excited to move and we can't wait for you to move in and enjoy your new home!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2020

We were renters and we had some dear kind neighbors who are like family to us in our old subdivision. They sprung LGI onto us one Friday evening and said that they bought a house. When we went and saw the new house, they got the master key to all the model homes. My husband and I went through all the homes and we fell madly in love with the one that we moved into. They gave us Sunny's phone number and we called her. We asked her if she could be available to speak with us and show us the house called The Leland. She said they had one left. We came on over and saw it. Right with her, she was part of the package. She was so sweet, kind, understanding and helpful. Then we got back into the office and we told her we were trying to figure out how to get out of our lease. She was very helpful in that. She said it's a Texas law that if you are buying a home, you're allowed to break your lease if you gave a 60-day notice.

We wrote a $1,000 check and put the deposit down on the house. The following Wednesday, we met with Heath, the mortgage financial gentleman. Once again, he was an asset to the company. He was very kind and polite. He got things done. He gave us a list of things to do. You have to have your finances in order and make sure what they ask you to bring, you bring. If you don't show up with the two-year pay stubs or if you don't show up with your financials, you get a little frustrated. But they tell you exactly what you need to know so follow instructions. The following week, they got us in even 3 days earlier than our closing date. We just finished moving in Sunday and we love the subdivision. We love the construction manager who came around and showed us the home before we moved in. We checked all the windows, all the appliances, all the numbers, and it was a very thorough and easy process.

This is my husband's first home and my second home. I've heard nightmares with people but this was a piece of cake. It was a great experience. They answered any other questions. Sunny and Heath have gone a little bit up and beyond since we've moved in. I have a cat and he used to run in our old streets for three years. Now we're in a new home, he's escaped twice. I've had to go into the drainage and get him out. I even called Sunny to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules for the subdivision, moving the plate. She immediately said, "Let me call Hunter. Let me get him over there and let him help you." He showed up within five minutes and helped.

The whole staff that LGI has at this community is exceptional. Another one of the sales representatives is our other neighbor. He's one, two houses down from us so that was a very big bonus that they have even some of their employees living in this subdivision. If you sold that house to that neighbor and that neighbor may be coming over your house every darn day knocking on your door, you wanna make sure that you're moving into a good place where the people you're selling the house to are very happy, just as happy as you are. That was a big bonus for us too. We're really happy we got the property and the land. We have a German Shepherd puppy and she runs and runs and runs and plays. We love our house and the experience. I've already recommended this community to two of my people at my office.

LGI Homes response

Hi Cyndie, thank you for the kind review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed working with our team and that the process was smooth for you. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years to come!

Original review: June 6, 2020

The combination of the price, the builder incentives, and the amount of home that we were getting for the money led us to choosing LGI Homes. We were shopping for a new home or an older build in the Sacramento area. We were looking at some new construction nearby, and I had seen an ad for LGI online. I said, "While we're out here, I wanna go over here and check these out.” When we found LGI, with what we could get for the same amount of money compared to what we could get in Sacramento at a used home, it just made so much more sense to go with a new one. We knew that when we moved in, we would have no problems, that we had the warranty on all of the construction. We’ll have a brand-new roof, furnace, all of that. No mold, too.

We met with the Realtor, Steve, and it was super easy. They had three options of the one-story I wanted. We started with the smallest one and then worked our way up. The smallest one was too small. The middle one, we were going, "This might work." We saw the larger one and we wanted to go back and look at the middle again but we were like, "No, we're definitely going with the larger one." One of the things with LGI is that you don't have the options to upgrade. What you see is what you get, and that actually helped. They didn't even have models. It was like the home that you look at is what you're buying. It made the purchase really easy. No hassle, no negotiations. There is a base price and then you add cost for everything that you want. Although, there were a couple of things I would've liked to have differently that I can do myself. For example, the carpet in the hallway, I would've preferred flooring.

Our home was sold before and it fell out of escrow, so it was pretty much built. There were a couple of minor things that needed to still be touched. But by the time we were ready to close, which was in less than 30 days, it was ready for us to move in. We've only been here for two weeks but so far, it's been great. We haven't seen any major flaws in the build. There's always a few minor things here and there but Ron, the construction manager, has been real responsive and came and touched up a couple of things.

I really like the wide streets. There are sidewalks, too. We both love how quiet it is here and where it's at. I’m not crazy about the bugs, though. We're not far from some rice fields and we didn't think about that when we bought. The bugs at night are really bad. But obviously that's not LGI's fault. We like to go out for a walk or a bike ride and the neighborhood itself is great for those. We're an exit away from the nearest town and about 30 minutes away from Sacramento. There are amenities available and I'm fine with that. It's a very low crime rate and there's nobody here but the people who live here. My insurance rates are low because of that.

I work from home, and I love being here and how spacious, light, airy and totally relaxing it is here. We came from an apartment complex, and being in a home, it's just quiet. There's no music next door and nobody's running the vacuum upstairs. As far as our lifestyle being at home, it's just been blissful really. I tried to get both of my girls to buy. I was like, "They still have homes for sale."

LGI Homes response

Hi Brenda, thank you for the review! We do believe our homes are a great value and are glad that you agree. There are several benefits of owning your home over living in an apartment and we are thrilled that you are enjoying them. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: June 5, 2020

I was looking at houses in the Arlington area. I wasn't finding what I was looking for and the houses were being snapped up before I could even make a decision. My real estate agent put me in touch with Monica at LGI Homes and they did a financial comparison. I realized that was a better route to go. Monica was wonderful. She was my original rep. She called me weekly 'cause I purchased a home in December. But because of trying to get the building permits 'cause of the Coronavirus, I wasn't able to move in. But at any rate, she was wonderful. She kept me posted every week. If I had any questions and she wasn't available, she always got back to me, sometimes on the weekend. I've always been able to go to her. She got a promotion and she deserved it.

I was turned over to a guy named Eddie, and what a difference. I know he did some stuff but he never called me or kept me informed. If I had a problem, I never knew what the solution was. And then, if I talked to anybody else in the office, they laughed a lot and they just disrespected me. They didn't take me seriously. If Monica couldn't do anything about it, she would call somebody that could. But I called Monica and asked, even though it wasn't her position, could she be with me at the signing and she said yes.

The biggest problem that I had is that after I had signed the paperwork and at the closing, the concierge with my real estate has been trying to get the electric meter turned into my name, and just was told time and time again that it was a business meter and they couldn't have it turned over onto my name. The rep tried it weeks before the closing, and then he tried after the closing. I spent hours on the phone before I could find out what the problem was, and also because Eddie, the guy that was supposed to find out what was going on, the only thing he said is, "There's nothing I can do about it."

What happened was they had taken out all the meters on my whole street. It's all new, but they hadn't taken out mine. When I explained that to Eddie, he sent somebody out to take a picture. But I got disrespected by that guy, and he said, "I won't even show Eddie the picture, then. I can't help you.” He just laughed at me. When I finally got to the bottom of it and explained to Eddie what the issue was, the switch got turned on. But I went 24 hours without air conditioning in the heat. They didn't come out when it all of a sudden turned on. When I asked Eddie when the business meter was gonna be removed, he said next week. Next week came and it wasn't removed.

I called Monica and said, "What do I need to do to get rid of this business meter? They disconnected my neighbor, but not me." She was at the hospital. Her mother-in-law had a stroke. She said, "Let me get on that. I will find out and I'll call you tomorrow morning," which was Saturday. She found out what the issue was but Eddie had already promised me it was gonna be last week again. So, two weeks in a row and he promised me. When Monica finally got back to me, she said that they have a work order in but it just hasn't been done and it's still there.

I couldn't ask for anyone better than Monica. I can't say enough good stuff about her, but I can't say enough bad stuff about the guys that were left in the office. Obviously, the quality is like night and day between her and the other salespeople. When I was on the phone one time, I heard someone in the background saying, "Just hang up on her." And I said to him, "Who is telling you that?" And it was the same guy that took the picture. He wouldn't tell me his name. I said, "Man up. I'm asking you what that guy's name is," but he still won’t tell me.

The home is a little cheaply made. I didn't even think to look to see if there were gutters and I don't have any. Nobody does. I thought that would be a standard. Your roof's gonna rot if you don't have gutters. What I've done is I've filled in for what wasn't there. Of course, I didn't get to pick out colors and stuff like that. But I like the house. I made the right decision for the finances that I had. I didn't go for a loan. I paid for the house. Somehow, I might've gotten quality service, but I certainly didn't. But at any rate, except for the customer service, I would recommend LGI Homes.

LGI Homes response

Hi Sandra, thank you for taking the time to review us. We agree - Monica definitely deserved her promotion and we are excited that you enjoyed working with her. We apologize for the trouble with the meter delay, but are glad it got sorted out. We are glad that you feel that you overall made the right decision for you. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I was looking at a couple of different types of models of homes in that area and LGI was had available what I was interested in. I made an appointment with them. Diane was fantastic and she took me right to it She pretty much walked me through everything and made it really easy. She was really responsive about questions and if she didn’t know the answer to that thing, she’d still find out. It was really awesome. I didn’t know anything about buying a home and she really streamlined the process and told us exactly where we needed to be and kinda worked with us.

But I wish the walk-through didn’t feel so rushed. The guy did a good job with explaining everything but he didn’t really give me time to look through the house on my own to see if there was any kind of repair that needed to be done. There were things where I felt like LGI should’ve been responsible for like I shouldn’t have had a big scuff mark on my wall when I moved in. I shouldn’t have gouges out of doors. I shouldn’t have my door handles falling off because they were improperly put in or somebody put in the incorrect screw. I shouldn’t have molding coming off the side of my tub because it wasn’t correctly put in. But I didn’t catch these on our initial walk-through because he pretty much took the reins through everything and didn’t really give me time to look through the house on my own.

I haven't started reporting all of that stuff yet. We’re still finishing moving in at this moment and there is still a lot of unpacking to do. I would like to wait until we get everything finished. It’ll be difficult if they start doing repairs. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with our home build for the price point that we got. But there are a few things that I'm not too excited about like the fact that the fences aren’t painted or weatherproofed. They aren’t water-treated and they’ve been sitting out since LGI prepared and built these lots. I feel like since LGI doesn't have any kind of guarantee for at least for the first six months to a year, it is a little ridiculous especially since they put it in there without any kind of weatherproofing.

My man is in the car right now and he has many comments about the concrete work that has been done. He works in the concrete industry. In front of the property, there are footmarks on the driveway. The one last thing that I was really unhappy with was my preparation after everything was completed in the walk-through. I have a dog and I'm finding sheet metal pieces for sockets and electrical stuff. I'm finding that in my backyard along with nails and screws. Also, there were still other garbage during my walk-through that was left from the construction crew, like water bottles in my attic. There's also one on my roof that has been sitting there for I don’t know how long. The construction crew did not do a very good job of picking up after themselves.

LGI Homes response

Hi Mary, thank you for your feedback. We are glad that the buying process was so smooth, but are disappointed to hear about the walk-through. Our Construction Managers walk the homes and make sure everything is in order for closing. When you are ready to report the items you'd like fixed, please be sure to complete a warranty claim through the online portal.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Everything, for the most part, went well. We had a couple things that LGI got in and corrected most of them so far. Our sales rep was amazing. He still has been helping us on stuff that we hadn't been able to do. That was good. He has a very good energy about him. He works for us, not against us. The only thing is we had a issue with some of the wiring for our internet. Some of the wiring wasn't done correctly before the house was built so they had to come back out and redo wires so we can get internet. They should make sure that does get checked for future homeowners.

LGI Homes response

Hi Crystal, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed working with your New Home Consultant and hope you enjoy your new home for many years!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

My wife wanted a new house. We were living in Winter Haven at that moment and we decided to drive around looking for new communities. We made it all the way to Dundee. We saw the sign for LGI Homes and stopped in. As soon as I walked into the office, the service, the way the sales rep treats the people and the way they work with you, just convinced us to stay there. From the very beginning, our consultant said that he was there for us and would help us throughout the whole process and he kept his word. He kept up with us and helped us throughout the whole thing.

We first picked a home. We were trying to go through VA loans and VA started acting up. It slowed down the process of the purchase. Then we went through FHA. So, by the time we got all the paperwork done with FHA, the house that we first picked got sold. So, we went ahead and found another one. My wife fell in love with the kitchen and the open concept, and so that was the one we decided to move into. It's a three-bedroom home and we love it. The community is extremely quiet. It’s very nice.

When we closed, the house had just been built and that time the dryer vent got smashed and broken. But they came in the next day and fixed it. We didn't even realize they had fixed it. We also called the guys for the cabinet that was broken and they answered the very next day. We set up a date and now we're just waiting for them to come in and replace the whole cabinet.

LGI Homes response

Hi Angel, thank you for the review! We are so glad you decided to stop into our office and that we were able to help you get into a new home that you love. Congratulations!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Daniel was really responsive and great. Everything was fine as well, but there is one thing I'm not happy about. When I looked at the home and we got the keys, we found a couple of small things that needed to be fixed. We addressed them to a person that I've seen once and for one hour and we were told they were gonna be repaired and fixed. No one's ever showed up for that though. I called and he never answered. I didn't bring the matter to the office yet, but I would love for the issues to be fixed as soon as possible. Other than that, I am satisfied with LGI. I didn’t wanna make any extra repairs, so we went with a new build and now, there's no more work needed to maintain it. I would recommend this neighborhood and the reasonable prices and nice finishes. The quality is good and we love the community. I am working on some improvements right now for landscaping and irrigation systems, but it's not something crazy and I'm having fun with it.

LGI Homes response

Thank you for the review, Valentyn. We apologize that those items have not been resolved yet; we had to pause non-emergency work due to COVID-19 and are working through the claims. We are glad that you enjoying your neighborhood and are having fun making the home yours!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I had an awesome experience with LGI. I went with a new build for longevity. It's something that I wanted to leave for my kids and family without them having a headache. I had to treat myself as well, so why I would I go with an older home and redo things when I could just buy a new one and just do it? I'm a supervisor for a management group, and one of the residents on a property where I work was telling me about LGI. I went by myself to go ahead and do some research and I went up there and talked to them.

The whole staff was very helpful and everybody was amazing, including Steve (the person that helped me close out on the house alone) as well as Alexi (the original lady that I talked to). Alexi helped me personally in terms of my credit to get me approved, and she improved me as a person financially. They were both awesome. I also kept an eye on the build weekly to see the different steps that they took, and everything that they did was correct and well put together.

LGI Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We are happy that we could help you achieve the dream of homeownership. Congratulations!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

When we did the inspections, I told the contractor exactly what was wrong with the house, and he didn't do anything to fix anything. He told me he did, and then he didn't. We moved in, and the house was the same. There were little details that we told them we didn't like and he said he was able to fix them before we moved in. He cleaned the corners to make it seem he fixed some, but he really didn't. There was this big piece of wire in my backyard. He told me he was gonna cut it, and I said cut it, but he didn't. There were also a couple scratches in my walls, and he didn't fix them. I was trying to reach out to get the information of the tile from the house to know the name so I can purchase it, he never responded to me.

As a new homeowner, I can't help if I went to the office and they were like, "Yeah, you're gonna have to contact the contractor." I already did and he didn't help me. What was I supposed to do then, message him again? I understand he has a lot on his plate, but he told me he was gonna give me all the information of the tile so I could get it on my own and he didn't. I'm here stuck trying to match the same tile. This has been a lot. He just wiped it. I paid for the house and there are a lot of things that I'm not happy with. LGI is great though. The people from the LGI office have been great and we didn't have any issues, but the contractors were terrible. I'm so unhappy with the contractors and the house in general. If someone was to ask me, "Oh, would you recommend?" I would be like, "Absolutely not."

LGI Homes response

Hi Dayra, we appreciate your feedback. We apologize that those items were not taken care of for you. If you haven't already, we recommend submitting a claim through our online warranty portal.

LGI Homes Company Information