2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.13/5

LGI Homes is a new home builder that builds homes and communities in more than 20 states across the country. It purchases, plans and develops land for its new communities and puts streamlined practices into place to cut costs and speed up the homebuying and building processes.

BOTTOM LINE

LGI Homes is a leader in the home construction industry. It creates luxury homes in vibrant communities in states all across the U.S.

PROS

• Hires expert builders
  • Uses high-quality materials
  • Dozens of homes and floor plans

CONS

• Limited upgrade options
  • Not available in all states

Top LGI Homes Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

The combination of the price, the builder incentives, and the amount of home that we were getting for the money led us to choosing LGI Homes … it just made so much more sense to go with a new [home].

My friend bought a house from LGI Homes and referred me to them. I went over there and I talked to them. And they offered me a good plan to buy a house there. The rep was the greatest person. He explained how it works, and how everything goes. He also got a great attitude … the home is great and I l

LGI Homes floor plans

LGI Homes offers floor plans for every budget and need. Check out the following home designs to see which one is right for you.

CompleteHome

CompleteHome is LGI Home’s trademark home design. Every CompleteHome includes cutting-edge amenities and features that include:

• Whirlpool appliance packages
  • Granite or quartz countertops
  • Programmable thermostats
  • Finished garage
  • Professional front yard landscaping

Every house is designed with the modern home buyer in mind and has innovative features, straightforward pricing and popular upgrades to create a home that exceeds expectations in both form and function.

CompleteHome Plus

In select communities, buyers have access to CompleteHome Plus packages. This luxury upgrade features all of the amenities of the CompleteHome package plus:

• Stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator
  • Designer light fixtures
  • Two-tone interior paint package
  • Enhanced landscaping package

These extra touches add more value to your house and enhance the features of your new home.

Active Adult Communities

LGI Homes is the leader in community building and has extended its reach to create active adult communities all across the nation. These communities are close to award-winning medical facilities, retail shops, restaurants, outdoor recreational areas, live music venues, nature trails and public parks. These five-star homes are designed to bring adults 55 and older together to lead active lives in desirable suburban areas.

LGI Homes warranty

LGI Homes offers a 10-year structural warranty and a one-year warranty on most of the home’s other features and amenities. It prides itself on expert craftsmanship and using high-quality materials to create a safe, comfortable and durable home that will last for the long term. Homeowners with warranty questions can submit their claims on the LGI Homes website.

LGI Homes prices

LGI Homes range from $166,000 to $356,000. It often helps with closing costs. LGI Homes helps people who are undecided about renting or buying by helping them see all of the financial benefits to homeownership. With LGI Homes, you may qualify for no money down financing.

LGI Homes FAQ

What credit score is needed for LGI Homes?
Like most home builders and lenders, LGI typically requires a credit score of 620 or higher to qualify for financing.
Does LGI pay closing costs?
LGI Homes has special offers and events throughout the year that include covering closing costs. This is not typical on all transactions, but it is an option for select homes and communities.
How do LGI Homes work?
LGI Homes is a premium home builder. Buyers can browse the website for LGI Home communities in their area and speak to an expert to help find or design the home of their dreams.
Are LGI Homes good quality?
Yes. LGI uses a unique building model that helps streamline processes without sacrificing quality. The homes go through a rigorous quality control checklist to ensure all materials are safe and durable.
Does LGI Homes do rent-to-own?
No. LGI Homes builds homes for ownership only.

is LGI Homes legit?

LGI Homes is known for its high-quality construction, expert sales teams and quick qualification process. Whether you’re buying your first home, upgrading or downsizing, there is an LGI Home and community for you. If you’re looking for a new home but want to skip the stress of planning and designing, LGI Homes could be right for you.

LGI Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

I called the number and told them that I was looking at possibly purchasing a home, that I had placed offers on two additional homes prior to that, and ended up bidding $15,000 more than the asking price. That still wasn't enough. There was a very high market and it was hard for me. After the second time of bidding that much more than the asking price and still that wasn't enough, someone outbid me. LGI explained to me there isn't going to be someone that can possibly outbid me so I don't have to keep searching and searching.

The person that I worked with, Joy, was good. I called that evening and she continued to talk with me through that night, texting and calling. She did a good job presenting everything to me, but at the same time, it was a little pushy. She said I needed to come the next day because these houses are selling fast. I ended up meeting her the very next day. Before I even saw the house, she said I needed to put my money down because the house could sell between us driving there, from the office to the lot. I ended up giving the money down. I saw the lot and everything looked good. I decided with the home for the price, it was good. I like that in the neighborhood that I'm in, Bailey Farms, the homes aren't right on top of each other. You still have a neighbor, but it's not like I can bring them out the window and touch their mouth.

The only thing that inconvenienced me a little was there was a huge tree that was rotten. I'm a first time home buyer so this is not something that I would probably be looking at. I did end up paying thousands of dollars to get it cut down because it was gonna eventually fall on my house or the neighbor's house. I feel like LGI can pay attention a little bit more to the backyard landscaping. It looks like they pay a lot of attention to the front yard but the backyard was a bit of a mess. There were a lot of branches that had fallen down and I had to do a little bit of cleaning up.

There should be blinds put all over the whole home as opposed to just the front of the home. Some LGI Homes are the complete feature where they put blinds throughout the whole home. For privacy reasons, I had to come in here and get someone to put up blinds throughout the home so I'm not standing in the dark wondering if someone out there is looking at me. Another thing that I didn't see in my walkthrough is the dishwasher is cracked. I can tell that it got cracked from a construction worker trying to jam it in there as opposed to placing it and maybe taking some extra time to look at it. I was told to file a warranty with that. There are a few things that were missed that I specifically talked to them in the walkthrough but I didn't see that those got done. They let me know this week, in order for them to get fixed, it will be faster to send a warranty claim.

I ended up getting some tile work done for the backsplash in the kitchen. When we did it, I could clearly see where one side of the wall was a little bit more sunken in than the other side. In my kitchen, the cabinet may not leveled because it appears to make one side of the wall in the corner look a little bit higher than the left corner. These are things that someone that specializes in tile would probably be able to point out. Other than those, everything else has been okay. I would do it again.

LGI Homes response

Hi Christie, we appreciate your review. Competing against others for resales homes can be stressful and we are proud to offer move-in ready homes as an alternative. Another benefit of new construction is that you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your home is backed by several warranties! Please be sure to file your claims through our convenient online warranty portal so we can resolve those items for you. Congratulations on your new home!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

We began our home search here in Colorado because we're still currently in Colorado. We were looking at a new build here and decided that we did not want the home again. We're told we should put money down, and it will be no problem. It would be completely fine in the event that we changed our mind because the home could be resold. So we did that. We tried then to terminate the contract, was told that we could not despite the paperwork that we signed to do as such. We’re military. So we got ordered to Georgia, and came across LGI again. We're like new people, “It'll be fine. Let's just try it.” So, we did. We were able to use the downpayment that we used here in Colorado, which I thought was very good. We already have invested money, so it was awesome that we didn't have to put down a downpayment again. That aspect of it was really good.

I did not love the LGI representative. I ended up having my own realtors, which thankfully I did, because I felt like there was a whole lot of disconnect. Compared to our home-buying process here in Colorado to the home-buying process in Georgia, I felt like I had to contact them. There was no weekly update. There was no scheduled walkthrough. And now, even though we have closed on the house on the 24th, there were still things that needed to be done. My realtor followed up today because we sent an email saying that we’re supposed to be done before we close. We walked through the house the day that we closed, and it still wasn't done yet. But the construction manager said that it will be done, but he didn't take notes. He remembered them, and so I feel like because of that, there were things that were missed.

One thing in particular, they thought that the ceiling was leaking from upstairs in one of the bathrooms. So, they went in to see what it was but it turned out, someone had just spilled water on the floor. It wasn't actually a leak. So, when they patched it, they only painted that one area of the ceiling, and so you could tell the difference in it. For me, moving in, I should not be able to walk into the dining room essentially, and see that big old spot that's discolored from the rest of the ceiling. It's an open concept so you can see the entire ceiling. It's like, “Oh, what’s that dark spot over there?” The fix was, “Once you put in your blinds, then you won't see the shadow.” That's not the answer. They should correct it because it's there. That wasn't done.

Also on the garage door, you have to hold the garage door button to close it. That has to be done when we get back, and that's fine. That's not a problem. But I didn't like that we weren't a part of the blue tape process. There was no blue tape process. We were just supposed to accept the house because they had multiple inspections as the house was going through each stage. So it was inspected and it was gonna be up to par. There were many things that were not up to par. I feel like a blue tape walkthrough could have alleviated those issues.

Here we are, two weeks after closing, those things still aren't done yet. When we went through a preferred lender, that was fine. We had absolutely no problems with that. I love the fact that the homeowners insurance is included, that the tax are included, all that thrown into an escrow. I don't have to worry about it. It's all included into my monthly mortgage payment. That’s amazing. I wish everybody did that.

The only thing is I expect to be able to walk into my brand new home and appreciate the fact that I did purchase a brand new home. It’s a new home for a reason, so it should already be prepared. I also felt like I had to constantly call them like, “How's it going? Is everything okay? Were you guys able to go out and do X, Y and Z? What is the status?" I'm out of state so I can't just drive by the house to see it. So I expected more communication. Aside from those things, I am excited to move. Once we get in there, hopefully we will have everything come corrected, and enjoy our brand new build. Overall, I love my house. We closed about 30 days out, and it closed on the day that they said that they will close. So those things, I appreciate. We didn’t have a back and forth.

LGI Homes response

Hi Yoshida, we appreciate your review and feedback. We do strive to provide consistent updates and appreciate you letting us know that you did not feel you received that - it is a training opportunity we will look into on our end. We have had some delays in fixing some items due to COVID and we appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to resolve everything while keeping everyone's safety in mind. We are glad that you are excited to move and we can't wait for you to move in and enjoy your new home!

Original review: July 29, 2020

We were renters and we had some dear kind neighbors who are like family to us in our old subdivision. They sprung LGI onto us one Friday evening and said that they bought a house. When we went and saw the new house, they got the master key to all the model homes. My husband and I went through all the homes and we fell madly in love with the one that we moved into. They gave us Sunny's phone number and we called her. We asked her if she could be available to speak with us and show us the house called The Leland. She said they had one left. We came on over and saw it. Right with her, she was part of the package. She was so sweet, kind, understanding and helpful. Then we got back into the office and we told her we were trying to figure out how to get out of our lease. She was very helpful in that. She said it's a Texas law that if you are buying a home, you're allowed to break your lease if you gave a 60-day notice.

We wrote a $1,000 check and put the deposit down on the house. The following Wednesday, we met with Heath, the mortgage financial gentleman. Once again, he was an asset to the company. He was very kind and polite. He got things done. He gave us a list of things to do. You have to have your finances in order and make sure what they ask you to bring, you bring. If you don't show up with the two-year pay stubs or if you don't show up with your financials, you get a little frustrated. But they tell you exactly what you need to know so follow instructions. The following week, they got us in even 3 days earlier than our closing date. We just finished moving in Sunday and we love the subdivision. We love the construction manager who came around and showed us the home before we moved in. We checked all the windows, all the appliances, all the numbers, and it was a very thorough and easy process.

This is my husband's first home and my second home. I've heard nightmares with people but this was a piece of cake. It was a great experience. They answered any other questions. Sunny and Heath have gone a little bit up and beyond since we've moved in. I have a cat and he used to run in our old streets for three years. Now we're in a new home, he's escaped twice. I've had to go into the drainage and get him out. I even called Sunny to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules for the subdivision, moving the plate. She immediately said, "Let me call Hunter. Let me get him over there and let him help you." He showed up within five minutes and helped.

The whole staff that LGI has at this community is exceptional. Another one of the sales representatives is our other neighbor. He's one, two houses down from us so that was a very big bonus that they have even some of their employees living in this subdivision. If you sold that house to that neighbor and that neighbor may be coming over your house every darn day knocking on your door, you wanna make sure that you're moving into a good place where the people you're selling the house to are very happy, just as happy as you are. That was a big bonus for us too. We're really happy we got the property and the land. We have a German Shepherd puppy and she runs and runs and runs and plays. We love our house and the experience. I've already recommended this community to two of my people at my office.

LGI Homes response

Hi Cyndie, thank you for the kind review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed working with our team and that the process was smooth for you. We hope you enjoy your new home for many years to come!

Original review: July 11, 2020

We stumbled upon LGI Homes. They had some signage in our town. We live out in El Reno and so we followed the signs and found the house. We were looking at a few different brand new homes. Ralph Coleman is also building a new housing addition and the main reason we decided to choose LGI is one, the location. It's right out by our lake, which is amazing. Two, the square footage that we could get for the price. Even though it doesn't have all of the upgraded amenities, the square footage was amazing for the price.

They're amazing. I loved Kristen. She's the office manager at the one that we went through. Taylor was our Realtor. Both were super nice and super helpful. Keith, the regional manager, came out and met us when we had an issue with our cabinets and made sure that they all got replaced before we moved in. Everything we could ask for. They were great. However, the craftsmanship has not been as great as we thought it would be. For instance, we had this spot in the yard. The grass kept dying. My husband finally dug it up and there was all this mortar and brick underneath it. Then, we did have an issue with the cabinets. Whenever we were going through the building process, one of the windows never closed, so they had to come in, take the brick off the back of the house and rebrick it.

They were very great about fixing anything that is our concern. However, the fact that we have to be the one to find it and bring it to their attention is a little disconcerting sometimes. Right now, the only issue that we have with the home is that on one side of our house, the water doesn't drain. There's standing water between us and our neighbor, which there's no one that lives in that house yet, but we told the maintenance manager out there, and he assured us that they're gonna fix it. But we've lived in the house now for a little over a month, and there hasn't been any movement to fix it. So, the maintenance, that side of it, I'm not as pleased with as the customer service side of things. But everything that we find, they're more than willing to fix it.

LGI Homes response

Hi Tanesha, thank you for your review and feedback. One of the benefits of buying a new home is having the warranties that help cover any problems that may arise! We are glad to hear that we have been able to help resolve the couple of items that came up. We are glad that you appreciate the location and the lake next to the community! Congratulations on your new home.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I was looking at houses in the Arlington area. I wasn't finding what I was looking for and the houses were being snapped up before I could even make a decision. My real estate agent put me in touch with Monica at LGI Homes and they did a financial comparison. I realized that was a better route to go. Monica was wonderful. She was my original rep. She called me weekly 'cause I purchased a home in December. But because of trying to get the building permits 'cause of the Coronavirus, I wasn't able to move in. But at any rate, she was wonderful. She kept me posted every week. If I had any questions and she wasn't available, she always got back to me, sometimes on the weekend. I've always been able to go to her. She got a promotion and she deserved it.

I was turned over to a guy named Eddie, and what a difference. I know he did some stuff but he never called me or kept me informed. If I had a problem, I never knew what the solution was. And then, if I talked to anybody else in the office, they laughed a lot and they just disrespected me. They didn't take me seriously. If Monica couldn't do anything about it, she would call somebody that could. But I called Monica and asked, even though it wasn't her position, could she be with me at the signing and she said yes.

The biggest problem that I had is that after I had signed the paperwork and at the closing, the concierge with my real estate has been trying to get the electric meter turned into my name, and just was told time and time again that it was a business meter and they couldn't have it turned over onto my name. The rep tried it weeks before the closing, and then he tried after the closing. I spent hours on the phone before I could find out what the problem was, and also because Eddie, the guy that was supposed to find out what was going on, the only thing he said is, "There's nothing I can do about it."

What happened was they had taken out all the meters on my whole street. It's all new, but they hadn't taken out mine. When I explained that to Eddie, he sent somebody out to take a picture. But I got disrespected by that guy, and he said, "I won't even show Eddie the picture, then. I can't help you.” He just laughed at me. When I finally got to the bottom of it and explained to Eddie what the issue was, the switch got turned on. But I went 24 hours without air conditioning in the heat. They didn't come out when it all of a sudden turned on. When I asked Eddie when the business meter was gonna be removed, he said next week. Next week came and it wasn't removed.

I called Monica and said, "What do I need to do to get rid of this business meter? They disconnected my neighbor, but not me." She was at the hospital. Her mother-in-law had a stroke. She said, "Let me get on that. I will find out and I'll call you tomorrow morning," which was Saturday. She found out what the issue was but Eddie had already promised me it was gonna be last week again. So, two weeks in a row and he promised me. When Monica finally got back to me, she said that they have a work order in but it just hasn't been done and it's still there.

I couldn't ask for anyone better than Monica. I can't say enough good stuff about her, but I can't say enough bad stuff about the guys that were left in the office. Obviously, the quality is like night and day between her and the other salespeople. When I was on the phone one time, I heard someone in the background saying, "Just hang up on her." And I said to him, "Who is telling you that?" And it was the same guy that took the picture. He wouldn't tell me his name. I said, "Man up. I'm asking you what that guy's name is," but he still won’t tell me.

The home is a little cheaply made. I didn't even think to look to see if there were gutters and I don't have any. Nobody does. I thought that would be a standard. Your roof's gonna rot if you don't have gutters. What I've done is I've filled in for what wasn't there. Of course, I didn't get to pick out colors and stuff like that. But I like the house. I made the right decision for the finances that I had. I didn't go for a loan. I paid for the house. Somehow, I might've gotten quality service, but I certainly didn't. But at any rate, except for the customer service, I would recommend LGI Homes.

LGI Homes response

Hi Sandra, thank you for taking the time to review us. We agree - Monica definitely deserved her promotion and we are excited that you enjoyed working with her. We apologize for the trouble with the meter delay, but are glad it got sorted out. We are glad that you feel that you overall made the right decision for you. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: March 26, 2021

I was a first time home buyer and the purchase was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. The Realtor and the lender were on point and I had no worries. It was just stressful trying to get everything together and to get them all the information. Other than that, it could have been a lot more stressful if I didn't have them do most of the legwork for me.

They showed me multiple builds, especially going off of what I was looking for in a house. It's an open space kind of a house. The other one that I saw felt much smaller. The brand new house I got has great quality and it was what I expected. I've only been here somewhere around a month and a half. The only thing I came across was a crack in the actual tub itself. I put in a claim for that and they came through. They fixed it up. That was quick and easy.

LGI Homes response

Hi Jeremy, congratulations on becoming a homeowner! We're glad you enjoyed our simplified buying experience and we were able to make it less stressful than you thought it would be.

Original review: March 13, 2021

The process that I went through with LGI went smoother than I expected. There were a couple of times where I felt kind of rushed to make a decision but overall, the home buying experience was good. I had some concerns with a few finishing touches that weren't completed well. I have a warped cabinet door in the kitchen and the refrigerator had a dent in it, which they replaced the door on. Also, I had a hole in my bathroom door. It looked like somebody stepped on it when they were installing it and they just put it in anyhow. Right now, they're fixing that. And I have a Hennepin model and if I walk down the street to the other Hennepin model, their trim and everything is much better than the trim on the outside of my house. But those were noted on the punch list. I'm hoping those things get resolved. Outside of those things, everything seemed to be good. It's a nice place where my daughter and I are gonna be happy.

LGI Homes response

Hi Steven, we appreciate your feedback. We're glad that those items are getting resolved for you quickly. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: March 12, 2021

In my home search, I found a house that LGI built that I liked a lot and so we put an offer in and got it. Everything works well in the house, and it looks nice. There are a couple of small things that are interesting. Other than that, everything is great.

LGI Homes response

Hi Pete, we're glad that you are enjoying your home. Congratulations!

Original review: March 11, 2021

We worked with Taylor and he was easygoing. He was very knowledgeable and he helped us in every possible way that he could. The day that we had our appointment with him, I had my three-year-old grandson with me. He was really good with him and that really impressed me. overall, how the representatives interacted with us was very professional. If we had any questions, they had an answer. If they didn't, they would find one. It was a very homely feeling. The representative that we worked with knew us. It was a great experience and I would recommend LGI to anybody. I'm much happier with our new home. It's nice and cozy. I love the kitchen, the master bedroom, the master bath, the closet, and the backyard. There's a big playground in the community where I can take my grandchildren to play. It's really nice. The lake’s right there too.

LGI Homes response

Hi Deborah, we appreciate you taking the time to review us! We are excited to hear that you are enjoying your new home and the community.

Original review: March 10, 2021

We went to LGI Homes and checked all the houses in there. We found them great so we decided to get one. Our rep was so helpful and knowledgeable. She helped with all the process. The house is very beautiful and the community is a quiet and pleasant place to live in at a very much affordable price. We are all excited to move in. We already moved some of our stuff in and spent some of our days there on the weekends. It’s been a great experience and I'm very satisfied. I showed the pictures to my coworkers so they could check on it.

LGI Homes response

Hi Vanessa, we're glad that you enjoyed working with your New Home Consultant and look forward to you moving in!

LGI Homes Company Information