2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

D.R. Horton Homes

D.R. Horton Homes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.43/5

D.R. Horton is an award-winning, family-owned construction business headquartered in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 1978 and is now one of the largest homebuilders in the United States. Currently, D.R. Horton builds move-in ready houses in 29 states across the country. The houses are complete or nearly complete and available for immediate purchase.

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

D.R. Horton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about D.R. Horton Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about DR Horton Homes?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I purchased a new house from D.R. Horton in late 2017 and within two years the microwave stopped working (replaced with a new unit), the water heater started leaking (D R Horton installed water heater was by American Water Heater Company, horrible), the roof seems to discoloring. Looks like the quality of material used in homes by D.R. Horton is terrible!!!. Go with another builder, their quality sucks. They deserve not even one star rating.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

DR Horton is the builder of Black Mill Preserve in Dawsonville, Ga. They have just announced that they have finished with this project that was sold in its entirety. Unfortunately the neighborhood does not look like a new construction and the builder plans to leave it as you can see in the photos. They have made a promise to fix the drive walks and we hope they comply, although several days ago they were marked and not fixed.

D.R. Horton Homes response

D.R. Horton works with the new Homeowners Association for your community to ensure the common areas of the community is left in a condition that is mutually agreeable. Your concerns should be addressed with the HOA of your community.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

DR Horton started out being a dream. Kind and helpful employees and good customer service. Then they hook you with their beautiful model homes. They get your money and string you along. Three times they promised to have a home completed by a cutoff date. Three times they failed to meet the date they had promised. The agent at the model home lied to us on more than one occasion. He calls to give bad news at closing time and says nothing can be done. The main office does not return phone calls. They give us $500 to make it all better.

After 3 months of being HOMELESS (because DR Horton strung us along), and two days before we were supposed to get our keys, the agent calls and says there is a problem with the county recorders office. Our loan was funded, title papers signed and delivered, movers were lined up, had appointments with cable and utilities, appliances to be delivered and 2 days before the date we were to move in nothing but complete CHAOS! Never buy from DR Horton.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Danielle. We are sorry to hear about your experience. There are many moving parts to the construction and closing of a home. It is unfortunate when one or more of those parts does not work as planned. Many items are outside of the control of D.R. Horton - such as government offices - and we keep striving for on-time closings. Our agents do not intentionally "lie" to our buyers. They pass along information and sometimes that information changes or the agents may make a mistake.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

We own a DR Horton home and are selling it. We decided to buy another DR Horton home and had to use their financing in order to qualify for the special pricing. After almost four weeks of the mortgage gal assuring us that my student loan would be able to count as only .5% she came back two weeks before closing and said we had to use the full 1% towards my DTI. This caused us to lose the home without enough time to find other financing. It will be four weeks on Friday we have been waiting for our Earnest money refund. They promised it in two weeks and we still don't have it. Normally when you buy a home you are returned your earnest money if you are unable to get financing within 48 hours. This is terrible business practice and I will never buy another DR Horton home again. I should be reimbursed interest because there is no reason anybody should have to wait this long for a refund.

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Delrae - your check was placed in the mail this morning, as previously discussed.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

We bought our D R Horton in May of 2015. Let me tell you I could write a book. First thing paint specks all over flooring and I had to get up because the contractors would come work a hour and leave and then never come back. Secondly, cracks and holes in our concrete driveway and they came and put a little concrete in holes to no avail. The concrete was so thin you could see the red clay. Thirdly, after a year are so we noticed mold around the top of our garage door and the wood was rotten. The siding was not put on properly. They did fix that problem. Fourth, siding on west side of house was bowing and they had to take siding off and chip away at our framing walls to fix this problem and in the process they knocked a hole in our sheetrock. This was fixed.

Fifth, the sewer line was installed with the pipe running back in the direction of the house. Toilets, tubs, showers shooting sewer out in our house. They said it was not their problem but after getting our own plumber out and they wouldn't touch it DR Horton finally sent someone out to fix problem and ended up having to dig our yard out halfway down driveway because all the pipes was installed wrong in the ground. Sixth, our son died in January 2019 in our home so we couldn't live there any longer because of this. We put our house on the market and we had cash buyers but they did a home inspection and found out that the shingles on our roof were not nailed on properly and they were curling.

We spent almost 8 hours a day trying to get someone from DR Horton out to inspect it and they sent a roofer that said he would come put some glue on the shingles. This house is Gold Fortified and we had several roofers out and our insurance adjuster and they said the shingles were not the thickness they should have been to be Gold Fortified and that there was suppose to be 6 nails and there was not. I'm telling you after months on the phone with the local office (Dan **) and the office in TX (Customer Care) they did absolutely NOTHING. TX kept passing the buck to local office. I begged Dan ** to come to our house and take a look and he would not.

We ended up having to paid for our roof to be redone to the tune of $7500.00. Our insurance company after looking at roof said they would not cover our roof if we had a storm because it was installed improperly. We had no choice but to fix it regardless if we sold or not. One more thing on the roof. When the new roofers came to replace shingles they had to add more nails to plywood and the fascia boards. We have videos. This added more stress to our already grief. I would never buy a DR Horton home again and I will spread the word.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

We signed a contract on a new build in June 2020. The seller was good. Sold us on the house. We saw the house coming along each week. It was almost too good to be true. We did our first walkthrough four days before closing. The house was at best 75% complete-so many paint and texture issues. The final walkthrough was the day of closing. Still several issues. Under sink cabinets were scraped up on the back frames. We’re STILL waiting on the cabinet company to come and fix it. The plumbers came and removed the piping in our master bathroom and we cannot even use the second sink. The driveway was a MESS. Mortar was built up. They came and repaved 1/4th of the driveway. It’s a totally different color from the other 3/4 of the driveway.

ON TOP OF THAT. We purchased a fridge during our signing with some of the closing cash. The fridge was dented when we looked at it during the walkthrough and noted it. They came to replace it and gave us a CHEAPER FRIDGE. Claiming the one we had was an upgrade and the one they gave us is the actual one we were supposed to receive. Which is ridiculous because we paid 1500 towards the fridge and the model they gave us is only 1100. The doors are crooked, and the drawers inside the fridge are broken which we found when we pulled out the vegetable drawer. I don’t know how they can justify this replacement and they have had horrible communication since we closed. The cabinets in the kitchen are all misaligned and look bad. I’m extremely disappointed and will not be using this builder for our next home. Hopefully they see this and offer us some assistance.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I bought a DR Horton home in Magnolia Pointe, I was promised repairs would be made to my house before I closed, or the 1st week after. I had to pay for 2 door threshold trim pieces and a cabinet door to be installed by a private contractor. I had to repaint front entry way, there was plaster everywhere. Had to paint front and back porch, concrete was horrible. I have tried multiple time reaching out, with no response from anyone. I closed on my house8/26/20 and have still not heard from anyone. The builder James didn't even walk the house with me, to see what repairs were needed. I finally gave up and, do not buy a DR Horton home!

D.R. Horton Homes response

Hi Eric. We have escalated your concerns to our management team. Please ensure all requests for warranty service are submitted through our website.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We put money down on a house, a substantial amount of money for 2 hardworking people with 5 children, on a house that was not built yet and on a lot that we talked the company into letting us purchase. A few weeks later, we had to move out of state and could no longer obtain FHA financing for the home. They had not even gotten the permit to break ground on the lot. No work had been started. They refused to give us back our entire deposit, which was our retirement fund, even though we couldn’t get financing per their contract.

D.R. Horton Homes response

We understand your frustration. Work had begun that you did not see and we were on schedule to completing your home on time. Financing may have been available to you through a non-FHA loan. D.R. Horton is in full compliance with your sales contract.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I bought a house with DR Horton in 2018, after we move into the house it was a lot of things that needed to be done. The vent under the kitchen was not put in. There was a wood missing under the stairs. My kids will walk up the stairs and they have nails scratching their feet, my fence were falling apart. After months you name it it has to be fixed, they were able to fix some of these things but claimed fence is not under warranty. Let it slide and paid money to fix my fence. Since I moved into this home I noticed in my garage that there is water dripping down my wall. I never thought this was a big deal up until recently. It started raining heavily as you see in the pictures. I reach out to DR Horton the South Houston division to let them know what’s going on. I was told my warranty expired in January 2020. Jennifer ** states She doesn’t think this will be covered.

I paid $200 for somebody to come over and take a look at my roof to see what was going on. After their findings they stated that there was a building defect while they were putting in the shingles. Well I reach out back to Jennifer who stated that they will have their technician come over. This guy came over, peeked at my roof. Doesn't event know what he is going on. Told me that I needed to Caulk my roof every year. Well I’ve never heard of that before. He told me that I was out of warranty. Didn’t even climb on the roof, did not do anything to figure out if what I was saying was a building defect. Well he Left and call me back the second day that DR Horton is not going to cover it because I’m out of warranty. Keeping in mind this was a building defect and I sent DR horton the report from the roofer that came to inspect my home.

Mr. ** that DR horton sent is neither a qualified roofer but just a technician that DR horton hire to tell me what I need to know. Please please do yourself a favor and read other consumer reports that are also similar to mine. I see these homes built in less than 1 month and at times most of the people that worked in these homes are not licensed and are hired from Home Depots. I am not sure why these people are still in business and are allowed to defraud us Americans our hard earn monies. It is sad that no one care about the consumers. We are left to fight for ourselves hiring lawyers and spending another thousands of dollars on attorney fees after we paid thousands on these homes that are constructed cheaply and we owe thousands on mortgages. After 2 years I don't think it is right for me to be spending thousands of dollars on a brand new home. It is a shame.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I have to say I was beyond ecstatic when I purchased my first house. A lot of reviews state one of the cons to D.R. Horton is the inability to customize the purchase. I found this to be a plus when purchasing my fiRst home (I was able to make it my own as funds became available). I loved everything about my newly constructed home until someone moved into the unit with a sharing wall of my townhouse. For spending $250,000 the last worry on my mind was the fact I would constantly hear my neighbors. My cabinets, dishes, and mirrors shake on a daily bases for hours on end. I have spoken with the family next to me and they inform me that it is just them opening and closing cabinets in their kitchen (They gave me their cell number and every time the wall would shake I would contact them).

I am sick to my stomach because I put my savings into this house and I cannot relax due to the fact I hear everything my neighbors do. I fully regret my purchase. Buyer beware the party wall between units is far from sound proof. I truly love everything else about the townhouse, however, I have no serenity or peace when I am home. To no exaggeration the walls vibrate whenever the family adjacent to me does anything in their kitchen or anything in the rooms which share a wall with my unit.

D.R. Horton Homes Company Information