1.65/5
Based on 78 reviews that contain star ratings

Find a recommended home builder & developer now

Columbus, Ohio

78 M/I Homes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

Read the review please!!! Don't do the same mistake we did. I'm a 30-year Law Enforcement and Military veteran, and I highly encourage my fellow veterans not to get involved with MI Homes. You can do better in quality and integrity. I don't think I've ever had buyer's remorse for anything, like I do this home that I paid over $300,000 for. There are so many other builders to choose from who do far better work. Please do not make the same mistake I have made. I will try to be professional while I explain a bit.

First issue was a gas leak. We had been smelling gas on and off since I moved in. I was forced to call CenterPoint due to the gas smell. They came and the radar began to alarm when they opened the drawers under the gas cooktop. The pipe under the stove was not connected correctly. Apparently my family had been inhaling gas for months. CenterPoint had to come out on 3 occasions to cut the gas off due to a gas leak. This was after a regular contractor came out and gave the cooktop the all clear. Always have the gas company come out to check the work after the contractor this was a life saver for us. After the 3 gas leaks MI subsequently replaced the cook top and repaired the pipe coming out of the wall. Also if you read your reviews you will see a pattern.

I currently have a problem with my bathtub in the master bedroom. I called in a warranty repair order on the bathtub but was advised that the slow draining tub is not covered by warranty. The tub takes forever to drain and might possibly have larger issues going on. I have been in my house less than a year but was advised by Jose with MI that the tub is covered for only 30 days. I find it insane that a bathtub is not covered in a $300,000 home, this is TBS. What smart, honest and fair company haggles over a bathtub.

In regards to the electrical issues the following has occurred. I have had to have several breakers replaced in the home due to repeated trips. It has reached a point where the breakers are tripping every couple of days. This has become very embarrassing and concerning. I have only 3 people in this 2700 sq. ft. home that should not be having these types of issues. I will not bore you any longer but will simply tell you that I plan on having an updated thorough inspection of the home and seeking legal action to resolve any issues that are currently occurring are anything that will come up in the upcoming overall inspection. Buyer’s remorse is too nice of a thing to say at this point. Please use your $300,000 more wisely than I did, READ the reviews.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Attempted to purchase a new home in Orlando, FL with this company. When we decided not to use their lender as ours gave better incentives, they attempted to increase the price of the home $5000 even though we had a signed contract. With our lender who required 30 days to close, we were unable to meet their unrealistic closing date (2 weeks after contract signed) and they claimed that we defaulted on our contract and tried to keep our 5% deposit. Not to mention, the home was already pre-built (not custom) and had not gotten its certificate of occupancy yet, so in reality they had not lost any money at our expense. I had to get a lawyer involved and ended up settling to get the majority of my money back in a timely fashion since we still want to buy a home and it was a large deposit.

Overall had a horrible experience with the sales team including Tony **, Renne **, and Jeffery **. I have never had such issues with a home buying experience and these representatives are clearly trying to take advantage of consumers. I hope that anyone reading this takes caution when dealing with this unethical home builder.

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We purchased a home from M/I Homes and ran into a major issue with it. Unlike many other companies, they stood behind their home and took the time to correct the problem. They had to bring in specialists to do tests and make sure that things were done correctly. I've often said that it's not IF a company has a problem that determines whether a company is good or bad, but it's how the company chooses to deal with those problems that makes that determination. M/I Homes was excellent to us and if we're in the market to build a new home and they built them in our area, we wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Everyone's 1 Star rating is correct. If I could give minus I would. We went through 5 foreman, 1 month of absolutely no work at all, our house took 6 months longer to build than expected and we spent 4 months in repairs. Still things wrong with Plumbing, Tile and Finish work but I'm tired of complaining and tired of moving my work schedule around to be home.

Let's talk about the yard. I asked several times to have our grass redone because it was dead as a doornail, they planted trees right next to the driveway so I couldn't get in my truck and the backyard is at such a slope I get all of my neighbors run off. As someone else stated about pulling rocks out where grass wouldn't grow, I am constantly doing that and water bottles, beer cans and whatever else was on the ground when they put the grass down. The ground wasn't properly treated before either – I have more weeds than grass. The estimate to redo it all was over $5,000 and I haven't heard from MI about it.

After 3 years in the house I can say this is one poorly put together home. My father was in contracting for years and says I should sue. MI messed up our whole community in Highland Grove, New Braunfels Texas. They have a few lawsuits pending and more on the way. Please do not buy an MI home if you know what's good for you. They over promise and under deliver in so many ways. Sure the floor plans are great but the final product is not what should be sold to someone.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We built a home in Plano, TX 3 years ago with M/I Homes. From the get-go there were problems such as: way behind on schedule, not getting the plans as discussed, red tape over and over as they kept making mistakes, etc. Finally, it was built and when we moved in, there were still corrections that needed to be made to the point where they had to hire new vendors.

3 years into the house and we have several problems: toilet was never put on correctly so we had to hire someone to come fix it, paint (which was the biggest disaster) has to be retouched over and over, carpet staples have come off in various places, cabinets falling off, and the biggest being foundation problems. Of course, nothing is covered under warranty so you are stuck for the next 30 years as they keep making money quite unfairly. Even the foundation is somehow not covered since their agent determined it to be unfit for warranty. Obviously this email is not going to get anything done with them but I wanted to write this to make sure no one else goes through this horrifying experience. Please BEWARE!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I bought the only lot beside a wooded preserve and very small community area that would be on the back and side of my home for privacy, peace and quiet. I asked the M/I salesman if anything would be built on the community property and he said, "No, it would be maintained as open park-like property of the community, and eventually maintained (grass cut) by the HOA." After the lot broke ground and construction began, I visited the property to check on progress and saw three men standing in the community area. I walked up and introduced myself as the owner and said, "What are you doing." One man said, "I am Matt, M/I Land Development Mgr. and we are going to install a playground here." I was shocked. He said, "Didn't your salesman tell you?" I said, "No he told me nothing would be built there and that was the basis I signed the contract on."

I told him they would not build it or I would take the issue to an attorney and sue them for hiding this deceit, lying and hiding this from me. It would be 20 ft from the master bedroom window and it would take my privacy away and devalue my property. No one would want to buy my house in the future beside a playground. I was one of the first to sign a contract in this future subdivision.

After lots of phones calls to the City Land Development and Planning Office, a personal visit to get the plat of the subdivision (which was not posted in the M/I sales office), I requested a mtg with M/I Land Development and the VP of Sales and Marketing. No response so I threatened a civil lawsuit and that got their full attention. It was a very stressful situation as I had already put down $10,000 earnest money that was required and was extremely worried that it would become a nightmare. It took two weeks, but M/I finally delivered a letter to me from the Director of Sales saying no playground would be built.

M/I is a deceitful company. Since closing, I have had many finishing problems. My garage door freezes to the concrete in cold weather because they built an indentation for water drainage but it doesn't drain. It just stays under the garage door and freezes. The interior paint barely covers the walls, there are paint drip, painted over nails, very very sloppy work. After just one month in the house, the caulking around the entire kitchen counter began separating badly and the baths had some too. Very poor workmanship. An LED recessed light in the kitchen that was suppose to last years has now stopped working and it appears to be an electrical issue. I have an appt for repairs Feb 6, 2018 and will write another review with an update after the work is completed. I have owned 6 new houses and this is the first with so much bad quality in finishes. I would never buy a house from M/I Homes again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We recently moved into our M/I home in Dripping Springs, Tx. We couldn’t be more pleased! We are now retired and have had 3 new homes in Minnesota where weather can be extreme. The construction of this home is top-notch. The multi pane windows and Carrier HVAC system are of high quality and will provide efficiency in the hot Texas summers. The contractor and sales team at Arrowhead Ranch have been great to work with and we look forward to living in this beautiful part of Texas!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

M/I Homes will make promises to have you buy from them. Then, they will not respect their word. I am about to close in a house in Spring TX Laurel park. The backyard is sloped big time, because M/I tried to meet the neighbor backyard height, which is way too high. M/I acknowledged the not typical large slope, promised to make it right, and pay for the retaining wall. Today, the quote of $7000 came in for a retaining wall, but M/I is willing to pay no more than $1000. We are too advanced in the process and my wife is tired of the whole thing. Yes we are about to buy a house with a backyard that will need some work and lot of money. Also, if you still decide to buy a home from them, make sure the original contract is respected. Amendments will definitely be brought in, and you will be paying for things that were said to be free on day 1. Good luck!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We bought our M/I home nearly one year ago after our house flooded. We immediately noticed some errors and pointed those out and when we moved in found many many more. We are the only house without ridge vents; the breaker is thrown when we vacuum; our toilet brand is Vortens (check it out on Google!), our backsplash has unfinished edges, the attic stairs are very dangerous (20" from top step to attic floor), the "rotunda" has 3 curved walls 1 straight wall.

Harris County Central Appraisal District agreed with me that the house is shoddy and reduced the taxable value by $30,000 --- this is unheard of in a brand new house. To summarize, very poor quality but some of the highest property taxes in the great state of Texas. I've asked for an extension of warranty letter since they have done none of the major repairs, but I do not have it yet. I will repost and revise my review if they decide to honor their warranty and make the repairs that are making our home unlivable.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Tried buying first house with M/I Homes here in Texas. We were given incorrect information numerous times. The first was whether or not their media room was in fact a media room. We wanted to remove this option once we were informed it was NOT walled off. We asked if it was walled off before ever selecting that option, and we were told it was. To be fair, every other plan there except that one it was walled off. We informed them we did not want this media room at that point. We were told we could not make changes to the permit once submitted. I called the city hall and the permit was still in REVIEWING. City Hall informed me since it was not even paid for, any changes could be made. We pushed back saying we no longer wanted this option, to which they agreed.

Fast forward a few weeks when we have our design center appointment to pick out everything, we were told we had 10% of the base price of the house to work with, and everything above that would be 50% upfront. OK, no problem. Two days before we are supposed to sign on the dotted line on our housing options, we go back to the design center (on our own time, not a scheduled visit mind you) and are just confirming our options. While we are there, we are told a 6,000 item would be counting towards our 10%. We would have had to redesign everything to now budget for a 6,000 item we were originally told would NOT count towards the 10%. (We did ask at the 1st design center appointment!)

At this point, my wife and I were DONE with M/I Homes. We told them we did not want to pursue this house any longer or do business with them. Come Black Friday, I spoke with the sales agent again. She informed me that they had deals going on their inventory homes. We agreed to a price that day, she sent us the contract, we signed it. Two days later, big surprise, we are called and told they could not honor that price. They asked us to increase the price by roughly 8,000. My wife and I at this point said, "We do not want to do business with you period." We will likely lose our deposit (they made that VERY clear), but at the end of the day, I refuse to do business with a company that takes ZERO accountability for their repeated mistakes. Buyers beware!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I am a Realtor in the Tampa Bay Area, my customer wrote a contract. Had to wire their Escrow deposit $10,000. Subsequently the loan was decline, I complained about 3 weeks ago and received a call from Doug ** Sales manager who asked me to apologize to the Buyer, that he dropped the ball and would expedite the return of their escrow and keep me in the loop. Today 10/9/18 as I had heard nothing. I called and text, still nothing. Buyer is feeling that they have to get an attorney. For my part as a Realtor why would I ever promote M/I Homes when they put Buyer through this hell. What are you doing with the Buyer's money???

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

We purchased an MI home 4 years ago in Tampa, FL. While we have been semi-satisfied with some aspects of our home, the customer service we’ve received has been not only atrocious, but insulting. We, as well as several of our neighbors, contacted MI regarding serious concerns about standing water on the sides of our homes where french drains SHOULD have been installed on every single home. Upon our initial interaction with the director of customer service, we received one response where he said he would absolutely not be installing french drains at our home- mind you one of our neighbors were successful in getting french drains and had been at their home as long as we have and had the exact same severity of standing water. But- they wouldn’t know that because before giving us a firm no they didn’t even take the time to look at our property.

We asked for a walkthrough and NEVER received a response. A couple of busy, wet summer months passed and the problem of standing water continued to escalate. We contacted the director of customer service again. He responded this time, but again with a firm no. Still not interested in providing any level of customer service to work with us, hear our concerns, or look at our home. We proceeded to contact the president of the MI homes for our area and he has not taken the time to contact us either. Do NOT buy an MI home. We never will again.

The quality is sub-par at best, and once they get their money and get through the one year warranty period, you’re on your own- no matter what the defect or concern. Even during the one year warranty period, getting them to take accountability and action for incredibly obvious defects and concerns is like pulling teeth. They will insist that this is the way it should be, and if you aren’t educated enough in quality construction and construction law, you’re going to have a very hard time.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We were first drawn to M/I Homes by the curb appeal of their model in Bridgeland. Once We walked in the door We fell in love with the style and design of their floor plans. They also offer features that I could not find in similar homes in my price point. We really love the flexibility and customization we had. When it came to building the home of our dreams and putting the finishings we wanted to make it our dream home we got exactly what we wanted. This is our third home to build from the ground up so we know that nothing goes off from start to finish without a few bumps but we couldn’t be happier with how those bumps were handled. Scott's communication with us throughout the building process made us feel like we knew what was going on at each milestone along the way. Love our home and would do it again.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

We purchased our second M/I home a year ago. It was an inventory home in a beautiful Florida neighborhood. It was stressful from the moment we put our down payment on it. The finance contact quit and our paperwork sat. No communication until they notified us of a closing date. We didn't even know what our approval status was. They threatened us with our down payment. We finally got them to choose a date that worked for everyone. The customer care checkpoints came late or not at all. We had to chase them down for the massive list of things that were wrong. Calling headquarters begging for help.

We ultimately had to threaten legal counsel in order to get them to fix items. We even paid for an inspection because we didn't trust the year end of customer care. They are complacent and don't care. Their emails to me were rude and hostile. We still have items untouched and they refuse any further work even though they were notified prior to the year end.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Building contractors for M/I Homes did not seal the pipe correctly coming from the roof into my attic. The water was coming through a slight hole and leaked in my attic. It came through my drywall and leaked from the ceiling into my bedroom. It’s been three years since I closed on my house and when I called the current M/I roofing contractors, the lady automatically tried to say I wasn’t doing my two year corking maintenance for my roof. How could one automatically assume where the water leak is from without anyone looking at it first? Said it cost me $325 charge off the top.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Don't buy a house from M/I. We have purchased 7 new houses over the years and never had any problems with them except with the MI deal. They failed to tell us about a sewerage processing plant within nose shot of a property and then refused to refund out $7,000 deposit saying "well you should have known that it was there". But it was covered by a hill and vegetation. Well it's up to you to know. Crooked **. Be warned. You will be cheated!

Original review: June 15, 2018

We moved in on Jan 11, 2012 and I have been working on my home since then. Wall paint on the ceilings, ceiling paint on the walls. Paint popping over nails and plug outlet boxes with much construction material inside. Caulk around windows outside is on window in places and on brick in places mostly NOT sealing as necessary. So far I have removed 28 wheelbarrow loads of rocks and large stones where grass would not grow and am only two thirds done. About ten stones I could almost not lift to get into the wheelbarrow. The aluminum on the front porch was incorrectly installed - lower aluminum was over the upper and letting rain water enter to cause damage plus much more. Their service and repair work is pathetic. They're ignoring required repairs, failure to talk to me or even email.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We purchased a new townhome in a community that is still being built. M/I Homes followed thru with everything they promised. The salesman was professional and knowledgeable. Our home was done on time, and the building supervisor spent hours with us showing us the workings of our new home. Everything on our walk thru list was completed before we closed and the home was left clean and shining. We had an issue with light coming in at the front door and it was corrected within the hour! Our experience has been fantastic and we recommend M/I to everyone we know who is looking for a new home. They are a fantastic builder who really cares.

Original review: May 21, 2018

As I was trying to purchase a home in San Antonio from M/I Homes we used their office to get approved for the loan. Ringo the loan officer after he got all my paperwork confirmed that we are approved. After we gave them earnest money then he stated we are not approved for the house. On the top of that I put my house for sale after he said that we were approved. Now I am asking for my earnest back and Alfred the guy who basically in the subdivision office is saying, "I HOPE they will give you back the refund." This is not how you do business and I am very disappointed how loan officers told us we are approved then he stated, "You are not."

Original review: May 3, 2018

We purchased a house in July 2017. Since moving in we have experienced numerous nail pops in the walls, visible seams in the sheetrock are now appearing, the upstairs floors creak with every footstep and the overall quality of the trim work and painting is pathetic. The trim has multiple dings and dents that were just slopped over with paint, and there are numerous paint drips and runs. M/I says this is all just cosmetic, and they don't fix cosmetic issues. I guess they would rather let the poor craftsmanship speak for itself. Outside several plants have died, and we get ignored when we try to contact M/I (they are supposedly under warranty for a year, and it's not been a year since we moved in). So much for the warranty. Obviously these people do not care. I would recommend everyone STAY AWAY from M/I Homes. Buying this house was a big mistake.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I closed on a new home from M/I Homes in March 2017. The home is a reflection of what poor workmanship looks like. The trim pieces on the exterior of the breakfast bay have huge gaps in them. After complaining to M/I they still haven't done anything about it. When I compare this to other homes the trim pieces do not have gaps. M/I does not even respond to my emails.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

M/I Homes is by far the worst builder, 3 years of living in a community in Florida and they still have not finished the development. They bait and switched from what it would look like in pictures to what it end up looking like. I will never buy an M/I home and I would recommend that nobody buy one. If you look at their reviews they rate 1.5 stars. That is pathetic. Stay far away from M/I Homes.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Bought a new home in March 2003 and windows are ripping off. Siding has no Tyvek installed as told to me by a Handyman. M/I Homes has not returned my calls. I have to now spend a lot of money to change the windows.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

We have lived in our M/I Home for a little over 6 months and we could not be more pleased with the craftsmanship of our home. The design and livability of our home is everything we wanted. Scott was the main reason we decided to build with M/I. He was extremely easy to work with and he made this typically stressful process fun for us. During the construction process Drew was also very helpful and answered all of our questions quickly. Even after closing both Scott and Drew checked up on us to make sure we was going well.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Had water issue when home purchased in 2004. After a year failed attempts to fix, French drains were I stalled. I come to find that drains were improperly installed. Causing mold and now a costly repair. M/I Homes refuses responsibility. 14 year old home now needs major repair due to M/I Homes incompetent crews. Never buy a house from these people. Several homes in Huntersville NC Birkdale community required family moving out for several months while structural repairs were made.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Chose MI Homes to build my home and moved in May 2017. This is one of five homes I've owned, and the first built by MI. I have had issues since day one. The finishes are cheap, my previous house was built by Pulte, almost 100 thousand less and had more upgrades. I chose quartz for my countertops and island only to find out quartz isn't available in the width of the island shown in the model home and the main reason I chose house. I wasn't notified of this therefore there is an unsightly seam in the island, the main feature of the house and seen upon entering. I was offered to "mix" a black island top with my white and gray countertops to resolve the problem.

Upon move in, the garage door wasn't functioning and after being serviced five times it was repaired. Although most of the problems are addressed and corrected quickly it has been a major inconvenience and disruption. Four days out of my home plus a 5th that I was a prisoner in my bedroom while the entire ceiling was recaulked and painted. After 7 months of living in house, the crown molding is showing cracks and caulking separating from ceiling. 4 bathroom tiles have cracked, there is condensation dripping into attic, the entire wood floor in foyer, living room and kitchen/dining room came up and had to be replaced.

The door from patio to outside will not open due to concrete slab coming out of ground and blocking door. Rubber seal from bottom of screen door coming off and dragging 4" from frame and drywall tape is coming loose on bathroom wall and parts of dining room. I would definitely NOT recommend building or buying a MI Home and can only imagine what I face in repairs as the house ages and is no longer within the one year warranty.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

My M/I house has developed a water leak in the roof and is showing via a water spot in the ceiling on the second floor. The house is a little less than 9 years old. M.I. claims to have a 10 year structural warranty. When I contacted M.I. they claim the roof is not covered under the warranty. How can a roof not be considered a part of the structure of the house? I believe M.I. is just trying to side step having to repair the roof leak. This does not speak well for M/I Homes.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

We purchased a M/I home in North Carolina in 2016. The first impressions with the salesperson, model homes, and the construction manager were overall pretty good. So we made our decision to spend $700k on our first so called luxury house with M/I. But apparently this was not a smart decision at all. After we moved in, we found nail pops and very obvious seam lines b/t drywall panels throughout the house. And M/I only agreed to fix two spots at one time while most builders will fix all when the one year warranty ends. We got flood issue twice in 6 months after we moved in, one caused by dishwasher and one caused by toilet. M/I was okay about the repair as our house was still in warranty. But please try to imagine homeowner's feeling about living in a $700k house where they experienced two flood issues in just 6 months.

The driveway concrete work was done poorly as it was not leveled right. So water easily collects and a pond forms whenever it rains. The concrete pad has even been colored due to the water corrosion. It has been almost 2 years since we reported this problem in the warranty period and M\I has done nothing about it. They kept telling us to reach to the contract by ourselves while we had tried tons of times and failed tons of times. It has been overall a very unpleasant experience to live in this M/I branded house because of the poor construction quality. We spent the money to get a reliable house to live in. But what we got is actually something far away from reliable. No house is perfect. M/I home just doesn't worth the penny we paid at all. We will never buy any M/I homes.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

We emailed M/I Homes back in April 2017 about the problems with several shingles missing from our roof. Someone did reach out to us and told us to contact the building manager Patrick **. We contacted Patrick April 21st, April 25th, and April 26th. April 26th we received a response from Patrick telling us they would replace the missing shingles. Rainstorms occurred for many days. May 5th Patrick texted us that the roofers should be out to replace the shingles. We specifically indicated where the shingles were missing. Then, we given a runaround that the roofers had the wrong address and that they would be back to replace the missing shingles which NEVER occurred.

We reach out to a roofer about the issue and paid $450.00. Fast forward to 12/11/17 we found two more missing shingles. We are hoping that MI Homes will work with us in a TIMELY MANNER to solve this problem. Our house is only 1 year and a few months old. If you are not willing to work with us we will take legal action and contact the media.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We were nothing short of amazed when we first walked into the model. The style and design of M/I Homes model blew us away. When we meet Scott we knew we were not working with just "another" sales person. We could tell that he had a great deal of knowledge and passion for what he does. He is a true professional. Fast forward to the building of our dream home surprisingly our experience got better. Drew our builder is a great young construction superintendent. He was very prompt with answering our questions, he kept the job site clean. Our home was in nearly perfect condition for the first walk through. We even had our third party inspector, even he was impressed with how few imperfections he found in the home. After moving in we could not be happier with the entire experience and would gladly do it all again!

M/I Homes Company Information