M/I Homes

Columbus, Ohio

Compare Home Builders & Developers

Research top Home Builders & Developers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

M/I Homes are beautiful but stay away. I fell in love with a M/I Home but have been very upset since purchasing one. Biggest issue was a gas leak. I have been smelling gas on and off since I moved in. The gas company came and the radar began to alarm the minute I opened the front door. The pipe under the stove was not connected correctly. I have been inhaling gas for months. I have had headaches, sore throats and coughing for months. The gas company turned off the gas. I had not hot water for more than a week. M/I Homes was no help. They do not care. They told me they have no control over the gas company. No they don't but the issue began because of M/I Homes poor workmanship. I have missed numerous days of working waiting for issues to be repaired by M/I Homes. Since purchasing this home I have been all alone. I'm being billed for taxes on this property for time before I owned it. STAY AWAY FROM M/I HOMES.

These people responded to all our emails promptly about any questions about the house when we first moved in. A few months later, they stop responding to mine and my neighbor's emails about how their construction material for the new homes is blocking our driveways and streets. I couldn't pull into my own driveway. My neighbor couldn't get out of her driveway this morning to get to work. The floor boards constantly creak even though the house is less than a year old. Avoid any houses from MI homes.

I would highly recommend that if you are looking for a home builder to avoid M/I Homes. They conduct shady business practices and attempt to bait and switch you once you sign the contract. We signed a contract with them to build a house on Aug. 31st. The division president Cliff ** signed off on the contract as the authorized agent for M/I homes on September 1st. We proceeded to place our current home on the market to sell. We were in the process of negotiating with a buyer for our house when we received a call from the sales representative for M/I homes on September 15th (16 days after signing the contract) stating they had made an error in the pricing of our home when writing the contract and the price of the home was actually $20,000 more than the agreed upon price.

He told us that he was really sorry for the error and hoped we would agree to still build with M/I Homes even for $20,000 increase in price. If not then he understood and they would cancel our contract. They took zero responsibility for their own mistake. Any reputable company would have accepted the error and held their employees responsible not the customer. They get out from underneath their mistake with no penalty or consequence from it. They preach to you about family and how superior their customer service is and how each step of the way they will be there to ensure customer satisfaction.

I guess they only care about their customer when they are getting your money. They don't care about customers they only care about their bottom dollar. The founders of the company would be so disappointed in this. As stated on their website they said they always asked themselves if they were the customer building the house would they be satisfied with the outcome? What customer would be satisfied about negotiate in good faith only to have the other party negotiating in bad faith and pulling the wrong out from underneath you two weeks after the contract has been signed?

We built our home with M/I and had a terrible construction and closing experience. The quality of the build was far below acceptable standards. The poor customer service has continued throughout the first year. M/I has yet to complete the 90 day inspection and repairs and we can only imagine when they will get around to the 1 year inspection. We do not anticipate any improvement after this amount of time. With so many new home builder options in this area, we would encourage potential customers to look elsewhere. There are several other new build developments in the Zionsville area. In fact, we drive through the adjacent "nice" neighborhood each day to access our neighborhood. We are green with envy. Do not make the same mistake we did.

Contract signed 29 February 2016. All buyer required actions completed by 24 March 2016. Mid-April builder discovered house as configured would not fit so we agreed to a second lot. Two weeks later, the builder again discovered the house wouldn't fit. We agreed to a third lot and some configuration changes and now, 4 weeks later, still no movement on M/I's part. No permits applied for, no lot survey, NOTHING. This was supposed to be our retirement home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Lying **! Scheduled an appointment to look at a townhouse. We look at it. Then get told it's sold and they have a contract on it, and they try to push another house to us! I find out they sold all the lots to RYAN HOMES for a huge profit. Really shady people. The houses they built do look nice but the salespeople are LIARS and I have a hard time trusting them. I feel like they just wanted to get me there to push another unit I had no intention of buying or wanted to see. WASTE MY TIME! LIARS! I just hope when they have their heart set on something someone pulls a fast one on them just like they do to people! I can't tell you how disappointed I am in their sales staff! REAL CLASS ACT LIARS! THANKS.

As promised, BOTH M/I Homes and I, gave each other second chance and I must say, I'm ELATED I did! The home they built is simply unbelievable. It far surpasses a mere shelter. The home they built is a haven of beauty and quality. It's a place I can be proud of, that I can happily invite other family members to visit and enjoy with the utmost confidence in quality and craftsmanship. Moreover, my entire experience was AWESOME! The people, from my agent to the builder rep, to the folks at the Style Center and even the folks at M/I Financial, bent over backwards to accommodate our concerns.

What people have to recognize is, there will always be a certain amount of craftsmanship concerns in building a new home. But the number of houses built, vice the percentage of flaws is usually surprisingly small comparatively. But in this day and time, where common courtesy and decency is a needed commodity, I can honestly say M/I Homes did just that with me and my family - they wowed us. Would I go thru the experience again? In a heartbeat. Would I go with M/I Homes... not even a second thought in a heartbeat! I've had three homes built in my lifetime. And this experience by FAR has been the best! Thanks M/I Homes. You did EXACTLY what you said you would. You helped us - Move Up.

Don't do it!!! We have had awful experience. We have lived in our home a little bit over 2 months. Cracks appear everyday, floors have been repaired 3 times on the second floor (they don't pay their contractor to nail down the floors, that's what we were told by the people that came to fix them). 4th time John said "You are stuck with it" and gave us a bs story. The roof leaks in the main room, they sent somebody to fix it and it still leaks. They came twice to repair a wall in the main bathroom and they wanted only to patch and we had been told that it was going to be replaced. We even got it on writing and we stopped the guy and had him remove the piece of wall. Upstairs bathroom tub was not installed correctly and had to remove it including tile. The list goes on and on. Read the review please!!! Don't do the same mistake we did. We had to pay a third party inspector we found more stuff that we were not aware.

The seller agent named Lorie working on M/I Home Concord, NC location is very rude and very unhelpful. She does not give good and reliable information. Need to do more research before signing contract else you are mercy of God. She does not even give a day to receive. She just want you to sign contract. Once contract is sign, she is not helpful. She won't listen to you. Please be careful working with seller agent named Lorie working on M/I Home Concord, NC. Best of luck for your home purchase.

I never leave negative reviews for any business. However, M/I is not a trustworthy company. I completely understand that every business is in the market to make a profit but, there's a line which should be drawn. Not being able trust your builder is the worst feeling when purchasing a home. BE AWARE. If you purchase a home with M/I I'd highly recommend that you get something in writing because they will NOT stand by their word. They are completely MONEY driven, and that's all what it'll come down to. After increasing our offer by $10K, they changed the terms we'd agreed to. Lastly, NO sales representative has the right to talk down to potential customers and tell them that they don't belong in their community. Everyone deserves an equal amount of respect. My husband and I were going to purchase a home with M/I (in Plano, TX) and they've lost our business due to their ethical misconduct.

We signed our contract with M/I in March 2014 and we closed in September 2014. (Sheffield Square subdivision) Everyone was great until we signed the contract and things got even worse after we closed. There were many things we wanted in our home that we saw in the model home. We were told that we could have these items, but they were an upgrade (which we expected). We were ready and willing to pay the upgrade for the items we wanted as they were huge selling factors for us. During the design phase we were told one by one that we could not have the upgraded items we had specifically inquired about. One was a range hood featured in the model home. Their reasoning was that the design of the home could not accommodate the hood.

When we questioned them about the hood in the model (after being given several very different excuses) we were ultimately told that the hood in the model was not functioning and never would function. Why didn't they tell us that before we signed the contract when we specifically inquired about the range hood? After months of going back & forth we ended up with an ugly, ill-fitting hood with a huge price tag. They destroyed the sides of our cabinets when they installed it and refused to fix it. The height of the hood is significantly lower than what was specified by GE (the manufacturer) and M/I refuses to fix it even though we were told it would be raised by the time we returned from closing. (I suppose that was our fault for trusting them and closing before these items were actually fixed).

There were numerous selections (crown moulding, various can lights, additional outlets, upgraded fixtures, etc) that M/I failed to "pull through" on the final papers and were never installed. The original customer care representative (who is no longer with the company) assured us that these items would be installed within 30 days of closing. It has been over a year and M/I is refusing to do anything about it. Our walls have severely cracked in several places. Our wood floors are uneven. The base boards have noticeably separated from the walls. The granite on our island has come loose from the cabinet base. Our range hood is not secure and about to fall off the wall (honestly not sure if that would be a bad thing since it is hideous).

We lose power in half of our house a couple times a month and were told that it could be a bad power cord from our new TV. We moved the TV to another area of the house and it worked fine, however the original part of the house still loses power every couple weeks. The walkway leading to our front door has cracked in half. All of our grass is dead. Shingles are falling off of our roof on a daily basis. The grout in our shower has "fallen out" a few times now. When moving our range to clean behind it, we noticed they "forgot" one wood plank. The pendant lights above our island were installed completely uneven... They wouldn't fix them so we had to resort to taking the lights down and capping them. The list goes on and on...

A couple of weeks ago, they sent a painter out to "fix" all of our wall cracks... Perhaps it was his first day, but we now have paint on our wood trim everywhere he worked and white paint from the trim on our painted walls. We have paint on our railings and on our floors and they told us to "chip it off with our nails". We were forced to use M/I financial for our loan and I say "forced" because they refused to provide our original lender with documentation he needed. And then said they would have to charge us $500 to get him the documents and then they would have to remove a 5k option allowance they gave us when we purchased the home (we never said we were using M/I financial at that time so not sure why we would lose 5k).

We have lived here for just about a year and already have all of these problems. We have spoken to a woman in their Chicago office, who I will not name, but she has been nothing but rude to us. I have never been treated so horribly by someone who I gave my business to, or just any person for that matter. To make matters worse we now have huge issues with our taxes which the county told us is a result of M/I homes failing to properly divide the PIN numbers before closing. We submitted all of the correct documentation to divide by legal description after closing. All of our neighbors are also having the same problem and M/I will not assist them either.

I visited open house for M/I Homes. There the people are so friendly. They insisted to buy a home before April 1st 2015 to get a promotional offer - finished basement worth $10,500. So when I get that much in promotional offer, I got interest in buying and signed the contract after a week. They started harassing. Everything you ask, they will charge. Later they insisted me to take loan form M/I Homes. Everyone should confirm that before you sign the contract. That is the mistake I did.

When I say I am not going to take loan from M/I Homes, they asked me to pay for the promotional offer they gave. If I take loan from M/I Homes, they charge 7000 dollars as closing cost. No lender in the entire United States charge 7000 dollars as closing cost and also high interest rates than any other lender. Not only me, I saw so many people who are victims of M/I Homes. Bad luck, I could have visited this site before I sign my contract. NEVER AND EVER GO WITH M/I HOMES. You will not be happy for buying new home after you make agreement which deals with thousands of dollars... Instead you will regret forever.

My family purchased an M/I home in Arlington Heights, Illinois in a housing development called Arlington Market. While our home appears to be structurally sound, I have following warnings for future buyers: Do not close on your house until you are completely satisfied with the work that M/I Homes has done. Once you close, they do not prioritize completion of punch list items in your house. It appears as though their only priority is to build as many houses as they can in the shortest amount of time. There is little to no oversight of work being done in houses. The construction managers are nowhere to be found unless there is a home inspection taking place. There is no oversight of workers coming to do repairs in homes after you've closed. Many of the residents have complained that repair workers are careless and upon repairing one thing they ruin another.

Residents (many of whom have infants and young children) are not given any notice as to when construction workers are going to complete tasks that will block residents' garages. Residents have been "trapped" inside for numerous hours by workers. M/I Homes does not employ workers who can construct walls at or near 90 degree angles. Once you close, the only solution that M/I Homes has for your crooked walls is to remove the baseboard trim and shim it so that the trim masks the crooked wall.

These are a few of the punch list items that we are still waiting to have fixed after having closed on our house 6+ months ago: Exterior white paint is already chipped and peeling off of our house trim and staircases. One section of our house siding wasn't caulked. Mortar, cement, dirt left on house & garage siding and staircases. This was supposed to be cleaned in spring and it's now the end of summer. Doors are unpainted. Drywall hung in garage has muddy footprints all over it (from workers). Dirty drywall was hung anyways. Taping/mudding of drywall in garage is atrocious. Sidewalk, that was poured in winter, is cracked and chipping. Sod is dead in areas. No notice that residents were responsible for tending to landscaping until a week had passed and grass was already dying. Massive electrical boxes in front yards were supposed to be "hidden" by landscaping and weren't.

No fence in front yards and it's been 7+ months since first house was occupied. 75% of the walls in the houses aren't squared off making flooring, trim and closets crooked. Excuses given as to why walls can't be built at 90 degree angles. Lumber used to construct windowsills in our home are beat up and chipped but they were installed anyways. Cabinetry is unpainted. Hardwood flooring and oak staircases were severely scratched by workers. Upon having the staircases restained, which made the scrapes disappear, the painter got stain on the white trim of each stair. Now we need the white trim repainted. Fireplaces turn on by themselves. Remote interference between homes. This is an extremely worrisome safety hazard.

Poor quality of craftsmanship. You can't see what's behind the walls, until it starts coming thru... M/I homes missed a large number of details in my new home, including connecting a drain line inside one of my walls. We didn't realize this until 7 months later when mold had taken over and the water damage became apparent through the walls and on the floors. This is one of many things that have gone unnoticed by M/I homes during construction, and repairs since construction. Their turn over rate is high (not sub contractors, actual M/I home employees) which makes it challenging to start over with a new home warranty person each time. I don't think I've ever had buyer's remorse for anything, like I do this home. It has cost me so much time and money, SINCE closing on it, and M/I hasn't offered any concessions to help me recoup costs or time lost. Stay away, they are not an honest company.

Consumer Increased Rating!

While I'll readily write a review, I must report both negative and favorable outcomes. After thoroughly searching, we decided M/I Homes Grandsail III was the best value and home for us. Upon contacting them, they were amenable to reinstating our $ 3K into the a home package. Thereby alleviating the problem.

As such, we are extremely excited to continue our build process with M/I Homes. We interfaced with one of the Vice Presidents and we believe through fairness and quality control M/I Homes can meet or exceed our expectations. The Grandsail III model already does that! So we look forward to and fully embrace the build process and a quality completion. M/I Homes has shown us, in the end, they strive to do what's right and fair.

samuel of Lithia, FL on

Original Review

MI Homes kept our earnest money without any justification EVEN when we attempted cancel the contract prior to completing Design Studio visit. I'm a retired 23 yr veteran, and I highly encourage my fellow veterans not to get involved with shady folks at MI Homes. You can do better in quality and integrity.

BUYER BEWARE!!! MI Homes kept our earnest money without any justification. In Mar of 2015, my wife and I visited the South Cove, MI Homes site looking to purchase a new home. We transferred $1K on a lot we picked out a lot, but MI could not provide. So they opted to sell us another lot. Then, based on the size of the home they asked for another earnest deposit of $2K. However, the lot purchase was never complete. Then, we were to go to the design studio, this was when our realtor told us home sales were slow and we would likely have problems selling our current home.

Fearing not being able to move forward we contacted MI Homes, explained our situation and they refused to refund our $3K in earnest money. So, for my $3K worth of advertisement I will tell you, MI Homes is NOT an honest company. They refused to return our earnest money and we had a realtor flat deny he specifically TOLD us, a deal is not complete until after the design center agreement has been signed. How could we simply arbitrarily make that up! In talking to other MI homeowners in the Panther Trace area, (near South Cove) come to find-out MI Homes had many many complaints that they failed to stand behind their product. So for dishonesty, shady transactions and failure to stand behind their product. I'll be going with another more reputable builder that stands behind their homes and their word.

Let me start by saying I did not build with them, cannot comment on their final product. With that out of the way, I would not recommend any one to build with M/I Homes in Cincinnati based on the way they conduct business. I spent countless hours with M/I agent trying to decide what floor plan to build with M/I. We finally decided to go with the Ainsley floor plan. We were going to build at the Windsor estate in liberty township. The agent told us she would ask her boss to give us $20,000 off in incentives. The deal they had going was half off up to $25,000 options. We met with the agent on Sunday morning at the lot/home site to make sure it was still available and also to make sure we could build the Ainsley plan. We were given the green light.

We went back to the office and wrote a $5,000 check and signed paperwork to get the building process started. I was told by the agent that he would forward the paperwork to his boss to see if they approve it and get back with me. I reached out to the agent on Tuesday to see if I was go to go. Things got really interesting. I was told that the price of the lot I was planning to build on had gone up exponentially. I was told the developer decided to raise the price of the lot because it was the last decent lot remaining in that area of the community. I was told that they wouldn't be able to offer me any incentives on that particular lot I choose to build on it. The only problem was that I personally called the developer and was told the price of that particular lot was still the same as before. They never increased the price of the lot.

I got an email from M/I homes even before my real estate agent confronted about them about the lot, asking me where I would like them to mail my check. My real estate agent called the M/I agent and confronted the individual about their story. Let's just say there was a dial tone involve from M/I agent. A few minutes afterwards, my real estate agent got a call from the VP of sales for M/I. He was very rude and arrogant. His first words were, "How dare you bring me a contract like that asking $20,000 off?" My agent tried to tell him that his agent had suggested the 20,000 off incentive but he just talked over my agent.

Mr VP also said that the incentives they offered were only valid on lots they owned. The irony about that is that every single lot that the agent showed us, three other builders showed us the exact same lot as theirs. In other words, the lots they claim they owned (at least the ones we were shown) were all pool lots. I was just so tired of going back and forth and just ask for my check back. I am glad they showed me their true colors before I got stuck in a horrible contract. I dodge a bullet. So please learn from this and don't do business with M/I homes. I am just on here to tell my story.

Folks, stay away from MI homes. Their quality is crap. You get substandard materials put in the homes and i doubt if they have folks who know how to build homes. Everything you see from toilets, to ventilations, security systems, to backyard, lawns have issues. They use a $100 toilet which doesn't flush properly. You'll see holes in all parts of the windows, doors and so heating/cooling becomes a hell.

MI built our house in a development called Franklin Landing. We had them out several times during the first year with a number of problems, and to their credit, they took care of them. Recently we noticed that the trim around our front window was rotting. When we looked closer, I noticed that they used either plywood or particle board. There is no way that whatever material they used was up to code. When I tried to get them to come out and take a look at the rotting, I was asked to send them some images. After a few days I got an email that said the damage was our fault because we did not properly caulk or paint. Again, they refused to come out to even look at the damage. I cannot recommend an MI home to anyone.

We bought our house in mid-January this year 2014, when the grass was dormant and covered in snow. This made it impossible for us to know the condition of the grass in our backyard until spring. The grass grew only in small patches and the rest of the grass was mostly yellow, and not growing, as well as our tree and bush being dead. We brought our complaint to the M/I Homes Customer Care Representative (CSR), who told us he would set up a meeting with us and the guy in charge of landscaping. Several months of calling to complain, several times no responses about the grass, tree, and bush...Now it's November, finally the CSR showed up and used his cell phone and took some videos on our "already" dormant grass (it is November and we just had some freezing temperature).

10 days later we got the answer from M/I home customer care (of course we called them first, otherwise who knows when they will contact us... sighed), addressed that there are nothing they can and will do and "no more discussion". Also, M/I home trying very hard to blame the conditions on our dogs for the main reason our grass looks like this (heavy foot traffic). Our dogs are 14 and 12 years old, they don't run around much, not to mention the grass looked like this when we moved in!

Contract to purchase a town home in Oviedo, FL had issues qualifying, and once we had my spouse lost his job. Just after the financing contingency expiration. They said they would give us our deposit back if they found a buyer with the same time line. We wanted to find something else to possibly purchase thinking it wouldn't take my husband to find a new job. They had another location in Sanford, FL that we could purchase in cash (with all proceeds home sale). Speaking to the agent at that location about our circumstance, we had been told that it would be impossible to qualify someone in time to be able to close, so we would lose our deposit. So we decided to put a contract on a home in that community. My husband found a job at the end of November and we also learned they had a cash buyer for the first town home (which seemed impossible to the agent).

December came and my spouse lost his new job - wasn't a good fit. But we still thought that he would find something before we had to close in Feb 2014. This did not happen. Early Jan 2014 we asked how much we would lose if we could not close. I have an illness that I have to have health insurance and with healthcare reform in would be a $400 shock to our budget. Crunching the numbers we realized that we would be bankrupt in a few months, since there would be no unemployment extension. After trying to get an answer we were first told our whole deposit, a little over $30,000. The contract states the 4% or the full deposit. Never in my mind did I think that M/I would keep the entire deposit - feeling a 4% amount will be fair for all contracts. I mean why put 4% if you are just going to keep the entire deposit, and you would treat customers differently by the amount of money given?

They ended up giving us just over $20,000 back, saying $10,000 would be their holding cost. We checked the market, and places were selling within 30 days. Which this was not exception, and sold for more money. So they made money and they kept our money. We did sign a termination agreement, but only after them threatening to keep all our money if we didn't sign by noon that day. The amount of money we lost was deemed liquidated damages, but liquidated damages are not to be a penalty - if it can be deemed a penalty the section claiming the damages can be void. My husband didn't find a job till Aug 2014, at 1/3 of his salary.

We know no house is perfect, but it has been a frustrating and time consuming experience with a company who says they pride themselves in customer service. An appointment was missed for repairs on 7/15/2014 and no contractors ever showed, causing me to missed a day of work. When he did show up on 7/22/2014, some of the contractors never showed and some of the issues previously identified were never address such as replacement of insulation in garage utility room leak (smelled musty for several months now and coughing when I'm around that area), squeak in subfloor, bulge on the side of third level stairs, leaking top gutter, mirror in 3rd hall bath never adjusted. In addition to minor plainly evident issues which he can make the judgment call to repair (for example like a cracked tile), getting any other repairs that affect the health, comfort (Example: lack of air flow in certain parts of the house, water pooling in the deck) and aesthetics (Example: center kitchen island with a seam down the middle which was unexpected) was difficult to even ask him to bring to the attention of upper management.

The seam was finally addressed, only after everyone in the neighborhood who got surprised with this new seam in their kitchen countertop complained about it. They said it was because someone got hurt bringing it up the stairs, so they had to cut the granite countertop into two pieces to make it lighter. When they come to replace to a full piece, they were going to lift it up the stairs again... how curious?! Also, some of the contractors who needed to follow up for repairs never called even after they told me they would either email or call. Examples of contractors who never called back even after one week: contractor for stair to replace a flight of stairs and contractor for heating and air conditioning to schedule to reinstall a humidistat which was installed incorrectly. And finally today, for an appointment that was made last week with the sub-contractor for the concrete in the garage, the contractor informed me that they cannot come today as scheduled to finish off the concrete in the garage, causing a waste of another days work. In totality, the effort to address issues in the house has been and continues to be frustrating.

I do like the design and layout of the house because the openness of the design makes the interior airy, with more natural sunlight, and makes the interior look more spacious. This type of environment looks inviting to live in and to conduct social events. On the other hand there is a design flaw in this house and possibly for houses having a 4th level with the back exposed to the western sun. The fourth level becomes extremely hot which is the entire summer, even with all windows and doors shaded and darkened. The two small ac vents for the loft which is blowing out minimal air and cannot be adjusted because the house lacks a damper system built into the blower unit. Our point of contact stated there was nothing he could do about the damper system when it was brought to his attention that it was never installed, but when we brought it to the attention of higher personnel, they said it was MD law to have dampers!

During the summer temperature on the fourth level would be around 15 degrees warmer than the temperature in the 3rd level. When the 4th level is hot, some of the advertised square footage cannot be used, making it reasonably uninhabitable. This is, in my opinion, a flaw in the design of some of the house that needs an immediate resolution. I really tried to love the house but there were problems after problems with this house that at this point, I really wonder if I had made the right choice. I do understand that every home will have some minor issues. But I do not consider a leak a minor issue. I had not one, not two, but three leaks in the house under the kitchen sink, in the utility closet, and the biggest on the roof.

Then there are other issues all over the house such as water pooling on the deck, gutters leaking, a neighbors gutter which was built as a continual trespass on my property, hardwood floors squeak in almost every single place, subfloor squeaks, spotty, messy and off colored grout jobs, unsightly wall bulge in numerous locations, stair treads that didn't fit in the grove and slots, dented doors, bolts catching on the door trim for every door causing black marks on the door frame, railing pickets that are loose and some not aligned and tilted, squeaks under the carpets only to find out that many parts of the carpet padding were torn then stapled under the carpets, paint lines and drips all over the house, and I can go on and on. It would seem that there is almost no attention to detail during construction and finishing of the house. This is not to mention that we hired an inspector to do a pre-drywall inspection. He noted about 30 things. We made sure to come before they said they would put the dry-wall up and what do you know, they already started putting it up.

As we tried to go through to check to see if they had fixed it, they didn't address some of the big issues noted, so who knows if they ever fixed anything that was behind the drywall either. At that point, we figured what was the purpose of getting an inspector if they weren't going to do any of the changes anyway! In shopping for a house builder, I wanted a house with minimal problems and with attention to detail. The J.D. Power and Associate marketing at the model house convinced me that M/I Homes, since it ranks highest in customer satisfaction and home quality among new-home builders affected my decision to choose M/I Homes as my builder. I feel subsequently that my trust was misplaced and that I was duped by the marketing. I have lost my trust in the builder. What was once the hope of getting a beautiful and functional home has turned into a nightmare of problems after problems that no one either cares to address or does so reluctantly and half-heartedly. We can no longer recommend M/I Homes to our friends, family, and coworkers who inquired about the builders in Crown, Gaithersburg. We can only say the community is coming along nicely.

A few months ago I met Marie at the model home of Hickory Hammock. I mentioned my partner and I were looking for a home. She said they had nothing for us, and we should not go through the model home. She said I could go through the home at ** if we were interested in as it was under construction. There seemed to be an attitude with her that day when I mentioned I had a partner.

On June 19 2014, salesperson Marie, l wrote a contract for us to purchase ** from MI Homes. We did not like Marie, as she displayed an obvious sense of dishonesty and lack of product knowledge. For example, we specifically asked her if this quick delivery home had the certificate of occupancy, and she said yes. At the final walk through of the home, we asked the same question of the foreman on site that day, who told us that no, the certificate of occupancy had not yet been received. There were numerous additional circumstances, that caused us to distrust Marie, and we asked salesperson Curtis to handle our deal, and we did not want to be dealing with someone else who was dishonest.

At the time, we did not realize how vindictive Marie was, and that she and her boss Jeff ** would ultimately and unethically sell the house to a previous buyer that was never disclosed to us at the time of the contract signing. Marie told us in front of our Realtor, that she lies to Jeff ** all the time to get her deals to go through the approval process. Later when we met her again to buy the home, we told her we wanted Curtis to write the agreement, but she insisted. It seemed Marie decided upfront to discriminate against us. When we later overnighted the check, Marie was in the model Home at the time of the delivery. We have written proof that Marie refused to accept our check from the courier service. It is clear, she had a different agenda and maliciously worked against us on the purchase of this home.

Curtis returned from vacation and indeed worked with us. We signed the purchase agreement on 6/19/2014 and your authorized agent signed it on 6/24/2014. We had an executed agreement at this time. Since we had a cash deal agreement, we moved quickly to the closing date. On the day of the final walk through, we toured the property with the site manager. At the very same time we were there, a workman was on the front porch with a jackhammer, and he was digging up the wall on the front porch. It was explained to us that the laundry tub plumbing was not done properly, and needed to be repaired. This included jack hammering the wall to expose the pipes. We were shown that the pipes were not connected, and the error needed to be corrected. We received a written letter showing that the repair would be completed by July 4th. We discussed this with Curtis, who said MI HOMES would work with us, and we would not close while this major plumbing problem was causing the house to be ripped apart. The pipes were in the center of the cement wall.

It came time for us to give the check, after repairs were made, and we presented Curtis with a bank check for the amount that was shown on the HUD1 statement. Of course all the title work was completed, and the closing paperwork was all completed and notarized and in the hands of the title company. We were shocked to hear what happened next. We were told that the keys would not be given to us, and that a previous buyer, one that had come before us, had once again decided to purchase our home. We needed to await a decision from the Broker Jeff

So we called and talked with Jeff , who yelled at us and used foul language and told us he would do whatever the ** he wants to do, pardon the language, but this is how he yelled at us. He had another buyer and he was probably not going to let us buy the house. What a horrible and unethical man you have representing your company.

At the time of the contract signing, we gave a check for $5,000 deposit. We were told that they would not cash this check since our closing was in such a short time. So this was communicated to the title company, and the HUD was prepared without the deposit being used. We have learned that your company indeed cashed the check, making an overpayment as well for a house you did not want to sell to us.

When we started hearing the deal was falling apart, we had spoken with numerous management people in the MI HOMES management team. David **, Bruce **, and Robin, the secretary for the CEO. We have told MANY others in your industry about this conversation, and we have learned that the Broker has quite a reputation for being unprofessional to buyers. Other builders have said they know that Jeff ** is trying to drive the MI Homes business into the ground. We have learned that we are not the first buyers he has turned away with his obscenities

We understand that you spend considerable funds to attract buyers to your new neighborhood. Why then would you allow this behavior to exist on the part of your broker and salesperson? This bad behavior obviously negates all the advertising dollars MI Homes is spending, in allowing these unethical practices to occur. You now have unhappy people spreading the word to others that MI Homes accepts unethical practices as the normal course of business. Is it a normal course of business for MI HOMES to treat your customers in this manner? Why did MI Homes sit back and allow this to happen? We are in temporary housing waiting for our new home to be completed.

Back again from 2009 complaint. In almost 5 years living in a M/I Home, I have noticed my kitchen floors turning ORANGE. I tried cleaning and nothing would fix or remove the orange discoloration. Have contacted M/I Homes since January 2014 for resolution and have only been given excuses. Now it is 4 months and nothing has been resolved except more excuses, more prolonging problem, M/I cut into my floors removing a large sample to send away and I am still getting excuses while living with a large cement block in the center of my kitchen floors. It is so embarrassing living this way. The sarcasm and disrespect AFTER you close on a home with M/I Homes is surprising. There are so many other options and builders out there to choose from and you would ASSUME that choosing M/I Homes that they would treat you well after you purchased THEIR home. I am still living in a home with cold floors, a cement floor square in kitchen, discoloration on floors, cracks in floors. I have never lived like this. I have purchased 3 homes prior and never treated this way from a builder.

We signed a contingency contract with MI Homes in September. We, like many others, were victims of the market where we were upside down on our home. MI offered a program called 3-3-3 to help homeowners as ourselves sell our home. How the program works is our realtor agrees to forego the commission on the sale of our home where MI will pay the 3% commission on the close of a MI home. Our realtor agreed to this program so we could get to a price point needed to sell. We were also aware of the 1st right of refusal which mean if another buyer wanted to build on our lot we had put our earnest money on we had 48 hours to either release our contingency to sell and start building or forfeit our lot.

We were struggling to get any offers for our home. In November the MI sales rep called me to follow up on how the sale of our home was going, she mentioned someone was interested in our lot. I explained that I would be heartbroken if I lost the lot but we were in the process of negotiating an offer. She followed up with an email the next day for me not to be frustrated and not to worry. I then responded that we are losing a lot on our home and could use some relief. We asked if MI would take an additional $10,000 off. She stated she would see what she could do. A week or two later she contacted me stating MI agreed to take an additional $10,000 off if we released our contingency, we could even postpone building to give us more time to sell our home.

We agreed to and signed a contract in mid-December releasing our contingency. The sales agent mentioned that everything "should" be okay because of the 48 hour stipulation. My husband and I were confused because we were not aware we were even given a 48-hour notice. The sales rep again said not to worry, we should be okay. She followed up the next day with an email stating we were fine and the lot was ours. I asked what happened with the other buyers, were they still interested in our lot. She responded, "They don't like me anymore." I didn't think anything of it. After that meeting we had sold our home with over a $20k lost thinking we would gain the investment with our new MI home.

We asked for some structural changes where we signed an updated contract in January. We had already sold our home, moved our family and were living in a rental home with a 6-month lease. When we tried to follow up with the sales rep to set up an appointment to make our final selections to begin construction I could not get a response from her for two weeks. I finally texted her and asked her what was going on. She stated she was working on some issues but would call me. She never did. On 1/24 she emailed me to tell me she had good and bad news. The bad news was it would not work on the lot we had a contract on, not to mention it was the last lot in the community but we could build in another community. She tried to make it a better deal. The fact of the matter was the other community was not as nice and the location was horrible. It was not convenient to the hwy, shopping, grocery, etc. When I asked her what happened and how could this be possible, she continued to evade my questions and continued to try to sell us on the less desirable lot in the other location.

I had to send an email to their corporate office where the VP of sales for that region returned my call. He was arrogant and not empathetic to our situation at all. He started speaking legal jargon stating our contingent offer had expired and our 48 hours was up. When I explained at no time were we told we had 48 hours and at no time did anyone tell us we no longer had the lot, his response was the sales person should have. He also continued to pitch the other lot. He also stated that was a risk our realtor took and was not wise on his part. This remember is an MI program they push to get homeowners to sell their home. Only when I threaten to contact an attorney did he say he understood my frustration and would try to work with me. He did not have a response on why the sales rep continued to pursue me, where we signed two additional contracts since November where they claim our 48 hours was up.

MI misled us to believing we had an active contract. They were aware we sold our home at a major loss, moved into a rental and our realtor sold our home for free. They are hiding behind contractual terms even though they also did not follow their own process. In the contract it states if the purchaser (us) fails to release the contingency within 48 hours, MI would return their earnest money which would release them from any contractual obligation. To date MI has not returned our earnest money.

I had my 3 months inspection on 07/2013 with M/I HOMES supervisor, David **. We found several cracks on both sides of my brand new home, and cement splashes all over my house from building houses on each side of mine. David then stated he will put in a work order for this to be done in 2 weeks. Today is 11/11/2013 and it is not done yet. I have several emails from David with dates when the work will be done. Please think twice before you decide to deal with this builder. My house was overpriced and the material they used like faucets are dirt cheap. I hate M/I HOMES for taking advantage of me.

Be careful who you build with. These guys go with the cheapest contractors they can find and give you horrible work. Not only do you not get what you pay for if you want to make any changes to anything they want $$$. $$$ for everything. They bang up your walls, cabinets, doors and the list goes on and they just want to paint over chips and cracks. They said it will blend. Sales rep is a joke and so if the rest of the staff I've had to deal with. Go with Dominion. M/I is overrated, overpriced and they just don't care about the quality of work they deliver you.

I purchased an M/I Home in December 2008. At the time, my Realtor told me that there was no reason to get an inspection as it was a new home. What a mistake! When it came time to move, the certified home inspector discovered several code violations dating back to the construction of the home. As an example, MI failed to put weep holes in the brick front wall of the home, they installed the insulation in the crawl space incorrectly, the vapor seal in the crawl space was incorrectly constructed, the seal on a window was broken, and some of the plumbing was incorrectly slanted leading to drainage problems. When my realtor contacted M/I to try to get them to fix these problems, they refused. I am convinced that the company spends more money printing their marketing materials related to their pie-in-the-sky building standards than it does in ensuring that they meet those standards.

M/I Homes in Carol Stream Il is a builder you may want to avoid. My luxury townhome which was built by now bankrupt Lakewood Homes is across the street from "Hip Designs," M/I. Long story short these are some of the problems I've been told by buyers. Flooding in the lower level due to putting the main water line on a outside wall. Instead of cinderblock fire walls between units, the builder has used fire rated dry wall - who wants to hear their neighbor opening and closing their kitchen cabinets? A contractor backing up into a closed garage and destroying the outside support. Cost cutting features such as no real wood burning fireplaces, no walls where walls once were, no hall way coat closet, no doors where doors once were, no casement windows, and no back stairs off the side deck on front units.

Oh and yesterday even though I couldn't tell you why it happened, the bull dozer ripped out the transformer which shut down our electricity in rows of homes. Thank God because I thought the poor fool was afraid of being electrified the way he sat in the dozer for 20 min. Ahhh Just to note I feel the property rep is just awful unless you happen to be a uninformed buyer. She seems to be very quick in dialing 911 on residents with community concerns. Have a great day! 2013

Many properties within the Towne Park community are being very poorly maintained. Weeds have risen to more than 29 inches on some properties. In fact, some homeowners have not yet mowed their lawns this entire spring and summer. It is now the end of June. The Towne Park HOA has failed to answer several complaints and has been ineffective in resolving this issue. The result is seeds from these overgrown lots are causing neighboring lawns to be affected. This will affect our home values and severely diminish the aesthetics of the neighborhood. We want the homeowner's association to follow their own policies to enforce minimum upkeep of lawns and property.

I contacted MI Homes customer care center (614)418-8400 multiple times about water leaking into our home, which is covered by their structural warranty. They have broken multiple promises about having someone contact me for a service appointment. Late 2012, I called MI customer care. I told Jeff from MI about the exterior leakage issues. I was told that Reitter Stucco would work with me in the spring. On April 4, 2013, I called to check the status and Debbie explained that spring work starts on April 15th. They promised to call me back in 1-2 weeks to schedule repairs.

On April 23, I called 3 weeks later after hearing nothing. Cheryl explained that spring work was starting later this year and that I will definitely hear something by May 3rd. On May 3, I called back this afternoon after not hearing back from anyone again. Cheryl promised that someone named Cliff would call me by the following week. May 19, over 2 more weeks have gone by and still no one calling back or responding to multiple earlier calls. Filing complaint today to hopefully spur this company into action.

M/I Homes Company Profile