2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Columbus, Ohio

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

M/I Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

When visiting M/I Homes communities I find very helpful staff with a vast range of knowledge. The communities are well maintained and very inviting. Price per square foot is the best in town. Hands down the best builder in Houston.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I visited the sales office in Kildeer and fell in love with the ranch model. The salesperson walked us through the model and explained what we would get if we built a home. I also like that the lawn and snow are taken care of for you. The views with the trees behind some lots are beautiful. The salesperson was honest and thorough.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

The entire experience with the team at M/I has been such a blessing!! Jennifer, Quinn & Laura have been rock stars and have fought tooth & nail for us. Jennifer got us in contact with her credit repair agent, Shana who also was a lifesaver!! Even with some speed bumps along the way, this team and their expertise and stubbornness, got us to the closing table on our M/I home next Friday. I truly believe we would not be closing next week if it were not for these AMAZING individuals!! God is so good.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

We began the process in searching for a home in May 2019. When we spoke with the sales representative Steven we advised that we were interested in purchasing the model home. We liked the floor plan and the upgrades already in the home. He advised that there was a waitlist for the home and he placed our names on it. Near the beginning of the Fall season he called us and told us it was available. We took another look and discussed pricing. We let him know that it was not what we wanted to spend. He later reached out and let us know that he had the exact same house aside from 3 differences (bay window in master instead of fireplace in living room, no built-in desk upstairs, etc.) So we took a look.

We liked the home but again not the price. He continued to reach out and finally we agreed on a price (or so we thought). He promised additional discounts after said price due to employment industry etc. He lied (imagine that) and it was all down hill from there. The home was incomplete when we closed on the home. They lied saying that while we were closing certain items were still being installed that weren't, the fence was horribly built with what looked like scraps from another fence. It was uneven and it looked weathered and ready to break down. The door to the office was not completed and we were told that due to the timeframe (end of the year December winter months) getting the appropriate door frame was difficult but it would be done.

We were constantly pushed and contacted to set a closing date prior to the end of the year yet our home was nowhere near completion to meet the specified requests. We had already given a move out date on our previous home and were pressed for time to get the home built and completed. Steven lied and made empty promises every step of the way. When we would address the issue he was non transparent and would disregard our concerns and threaten to increase the price if we did not close before the end of the month/year. Reluctantly and with more empty promises we closed on December 27th 2019 and to this day we still don't have proper working office doors and they refuse to install the correct frame. They want to adjust the current frame which is cracked and broken.

I didn't buy a new home to have it built with used materials. This homebuying experience has been the worst and our home is not what was promised. The company has gone through 3 different contractors or building managers and have delayed repairs and completing the home up to par. They continue to disregard requests and are now trying to push back request to put us outside our one year warranty. The home is poorly built to say the least and amenities that were promised were not put in. We were supposed to have a community pool, a playground and center and instead they build more houses in the specified location.

They lack customer service skills and at times are combative telling us we aren't getting what we paid for. We are going to have to settle for what they decide to give us. I hate my home to say the least. It looks cheap and the poor quality workmanship and materials is evident. It isn't even worth 1/3 of the purchase price. This company is dishonest and lacks integrity. We have considered legal action along with others in the community who are facing the same issues. We all have a long list of features that were never installed in our homes that were supposedly standard.

Original review: July 28, 2020

We paid $500k for our home and within a month of moving in realized the roof was leaking (this was a brand new spec home). It took three months to get them to pretend to repair the roof (we still don't believe it is fixed because it leaked in swirling rain and it has leaked again since) but their customer service (when they respond, because they might in three or four weeks, or they might ignore everything you submit) person, when she does call, yells at you the customer and tries to tell you that you do not have a problem. We will NEVER buy another home from MI and will tell everyone NOT TO PURCHASE from them.

They love you till you move in, then they try to ignore you. BTW...It took three months to get the repair done. Our front bedroom (office) had the ceiling ripped out with insulation dug from the front bedroom all the way down our driveway for a week and only got addressed when we went to the VP in this area, who also did not want to be bothered with us. We are beyond upset and are prepared to call an attorney as soon as rainy season starts and the roof starts leaking again.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Hello, M/I Homes is the most inconsiderate and unempathetic developer I have ever been in contact with. I was very excited to purchase my first home from M/I homes. Unfortunately, as many other people, my employment was affected due to Covid-19 in March 2020 and my salary was reduced by 50% 3 days before closing. I reached out to the developer and requested to move the closing date by one month so I could better understand how long and how much would my financial situation be affected. My request was denied and I was advised that my deposit of 5% of the total home was going to be forfeited. After several emails back and forward with the sales representative and management, they refuse to return my deposit. They stated that with my new salary I was still qualified for the loan, something I find very difficult to believe because realistically there is no way I could afford the home.

Finally, they agreed to let me use my deposit to purchase another home before the end of the year. I then recently decided to look into the possibility of purchasing a much cheaper home so I would not lose my deposit that I had been saving for so long. I was told that I still have to give them another deposit to create the contract and that the money will be used towards the purchase of the home in addition to my deposit. I am sure you can understand how upset I was to hear that they want even more money when they should have returned that deposit in the first place. I am now working with a real state attorney to recover my money given that I was not able to proceed with the purchase due to Covid -19. I DO NOT recommend doing any business with M/I homes. They are extremely inconsiderate and have no empathy for how this uncertain times are affecting people's lives.

Original review: April 21, 2020

We moved into our home in 2017. My first suggestion is to look at every nook and cranny of your home during the walk through. As most of the reviews have stated. The nail pops are ridiculous. They are in the walls and the ceiling. I noticed some time after we moved in that the platform of our front door as well as the wall in our bathroom were uneven. We have cracks in our wall and various other noticeable issues that should not be an issue 2 years in. I chalk it up to poor materials and poor oversight of the foreman. I am a nurse and always liken it to the care I give my patients. Would anyone want a nurse providing less than optimal care to their patients? Homes are expensive and the same expertise/care should be placed into building these homes. I think having to meet deadlines and doing optimal work does not go hand and hand for MI Homes.

Original review: April 16, 2020

This is the 3rd brand new home I have purchased over the last 10 years. I can say without a doubt, that M/I is by far the worst experience of the three. If not for the location and price, we would have walked away. The salesperson's standard answer for any modifications or most upgrades was "no, we don't do that". Options are limited and upgrades virtually non-existent. And these are homes that require some upgrades to be functional and enjoyable to live in. There are many signs that this is a budget builder that skimps on quality and workmanship.

For example, the standard toilets are tiny, and about 12 inches off the ground-laughable. And there are no upgrades. We had to have them removed and replaced with adult sized commodes at our own expense. None of the cabinets in the home came with knobs to open easily. Not even as an upgrade. We had to have knobs and levers installed on them at our own expense. The cheap, simulated wood linoleum flooring in the living spaces will tear at the slightest amount of pressure. Even the doors to various spaces give away the cheapness and pettiness of this builder. The bathroom doors look like closet doors as they are so narrow (24") wide. The closets are even more pathetic at a mere "18" in width. This builder further cuts corners by dropping the ceilings in the secondary bedrooms and bathroom to 8' versus the 9'+ in the rest of the home.

As the home was rushed to close by a specified date, the quality and workmanship are obviously absent. Doors do not stay in the position you leave them, either continuing to open all the way or worse, closing on their own. Door hinges began squeaking and groaning after a week in the house. After a recent rain storm, the floor by the backdoor was covered in water that leaked in from the door. There is further evidence of shoddy workmanship throughout the house; uneven paint textures, loose hardware in bathrooms, light switches that are illogically placed, poor lighting in some spaces, and loose faucet fixtures.

A few days before closing we conveyed our concerns that things were being rushed to complete the house, and thus not being done right, to both the sales person and to the Construction supervisor, but neither budged to try and accommodate our concerns and possibly push the closing date back a little to ensure everything was being done in an accurate and careful manner. The only positive things I can say are that the location and floor plan are good. However, if we had it to do over again, we would have most definitely gone with another builder, such as D.R. Horton, Lennar, or KB. I believe it is only a matter of time that we have issues with many items on this home.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

DO NOT TRUST THEM!!! Hello! My family signed a contract in October 2019 for the construction of a one-story house at **! At first, it immediately seemed strange to me why the developer requires a deposit of $3,500, that's a lot! But they assured us that they had such requirements! And do not worry, because in case of changes, such as the bank’s refusal to finance, our deposit of $3,500 is returned to us in full! Do not believe the original price! The price indicated by the builder in the price list does not correspond to reality! They will add tens of thousands of $$$to the price list! You have to pay extra for everything! Even the door to the toilet in the master bedroom! And the second wash basin.... even the usual window in the kitchen charged us $700!

At the end of construction, we received a bank refusal of financing, and the builder categorically refused to return our deposit of $3,500 to us! Be careful, the MI Homes builder will never return your money, even if it is not your fault and the bank will give you a refusal to finance!!! It should not be! The buyer is not guilty that this happened and the builder has no right to appropriate my money! I advise everyone frankly, go to other builders, there are a lot of them in the USA and much more honest and better quality homes!

Other builders never ask for such a large deposit of $3,500! For example, a builder DR Horton deposit just 750$ and LGI Homes around 1000$. And their quality much better!!! MI homes has a non-standard contract, the builder prescribes 14 days, during which you can return the deposit! Purposefully deception you! So that you can never return the deposit! Because in fact, financing a bank takes much longer and MI homes knows and understands this in advance! Read the contract carefully! MI Homes writes very tricky conditions! Be careful!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

A sales women (Jojo at Cinco Lakes in San Antonio) informed and actually reassured our home was in a certain county, since the development is right on the edge. We were misinformed and upon finding out the truth we had already put down earnest money. We decided to not go through with buying the home because of the county. The tax difference is insane. She told us we would get our earnest back, we waited but didn’t receive it after giving her our address. We called about it and corporate wouldn’t give it back. I inquired multiple times trying to get it back. I had tried the VP in our area but got nothing. It’s difficult to find out who to get in contact with. Because of their ill knowledge of their own development and lying staff they wouldn’t give it back.

M/I Homes Company Information