Find a Home Builders partner

Columbus, Ohio

1.6/5 (122 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About M/I Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

M/I Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

This company does NOT care about quality or customer service. As I have read in other reviews the statements about standing behind their work or fixing anything is so true! They are terrible. Stay away!

Original review: July 27, 2021

We have been in our house for 18 months past the one year warranty period and still have 7 major repair items that have not been completed. Even with documentation of our request prior to the one year they are a black hole and will not respond. The warranty department puts the blame on the homeowner and has no intention of fixing issues that were there when built. The most blatant is the nail pops and cracks that are supposed to be fixed. After one year have not been done as we have been told at least five times it has been scheduled with no results.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Warning to anyone buying an MI home. I had reservations early in the building process but closer to closing I had a CCI building inspector check out quality and he was alarmed at the holes in the outside brick wall, and cracked tile, holes in inside walls, walls that drywall tape was very apparent, and, the fact that the superintendent admitted that he cut corners all the time. You will be very sorry, these things that are not dealt with are not just cosmetic. Bowed walls that are “fixed” by putting a nail in it, instead of figuring out what the problem is, everything is “jerryrigged”. Good enough is their motto. They say they promise a complete home yet having the hose bib come out of the wall above the brick, & the superintendent say, "Oh, we will plaster it with cement."

When I insisted that it be fixed correctly, he tore apart the brick and left a hole in the side of the house for 8 weeks, with torrential rains. I was going to be looking at mold as the rain soaked in between the inside and outside wall. One of MI’s claims is that they wrap their homes tight to prevent moisture from getting in... NOT TRUE!! When we finally cancelled our contract because of poor quality, the boss from San Antonio was suppose to call us back, which she promised after she toured the community where we were building, Greenspoint Heights, and took a look at the problems and all the pictures we sent.

Well, she never called back and then kept our $1,000.00 earnest money. I guess I didn’t realize that the promised “complete home” can be thrown together, mismatched, cracked, wet walls, large gaps in cement and build driveways that allow water to accumulate on the driveway just a few feet from the garage. All in all, if you want a terribly built home that you will have to fix major problems in caused by poor craftsmanship, well, no one wants that! Especially not in a new home!! Don’t buy an MI home!!

Original review: April 22, 2021

I drove from Apopka to Sanford to view model townhomes and excitedly arrived 15 minutes early only to have to wait for 35 minutes because no one came to the office. I walked to the office to find a sign on the door with a name, Nikki ** and telephone number to call to view models. The sign indicated walk-ins and appointments welcome. When I called the number Ms. ** answered and was adamant about me not viewing the model and said I could view some of the townhomes that were being worked on. I could tell she didn't want to come, to the office and I didn't take it lightly. Luckily, the subdivision she works isn't the one I want to live in!

Original review: April 5, 2021

I am not happy with warranty services of MI Homes. We have issue of leakage in one of bathroom and we have given a long time of two weeks plus some days for waiting and ask to share bathroom as we have 3 bathrooms. No emails or no massage on mobile given when they come to fix the problem.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

We made an appointment to view a property. After viewing the property we decided to go with an Elevation B on a corner lot and added upgrades and all. I have noticed that Juliane (the person taking care of us) seemed bothered when we asked questions as if she didn’t want to deal with us. So I gave the benefit of the doubt maybe she was having a rough morning. My wife and I decided we would go with the property and asked this Juliane person what would the next step be from there. She said we had until Tuesday to wrap things up (it was Sunday Valentine’s Day) on the property and bring the earnest money and sign some paperwork. So we agreed that I would call her ASAP to arrange for a time to meet.

As we are driving back home we called her and she wanted us to go back the same day. Please keep in mind we are an hour away. So we told we would call right back. My wife tried calling back within minutes. She would not answer. My wife sent her a text of which Juliane did not answer. So we decided to drive back to Juliane’s office. I asked her upon arriving if she wanted to take care of the earnest money now or the following day and she told me she just sold the property to the next family that came in. What kind of nerves of her to make arrangements with us and then sell the property from underneath us less than 2 hours later. You have to be money hungry to do something like that. That is some inconsiderate dark **. How money hungry do you have to be to pull some ** like that. After you knew we were bring you the earnest money.

Juliane, you must not have any morals and are not passionate for Poe Poe nor your job. You should be ashamed of yourself. But I am a firm believer that things happens for a reason. Since I have read their reviews and I am glad to say that I am happy I did not make the purchase. Folks please read the reviews before going here!!! Good Luck!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

M/I Homes says they have the best warranty roof to floor, wall to wall and then what I get it's a COURTESY REPAIR... not obligation, just courtesy at 6 months and 12 months. Thats doesn't sound like a warranty for me. Then after got cracks covered, I am the one that I have to paint it. That doesn't looks how M/I homes says in their webpage. ROOF TO FLOOR... I have a big crack in my garage floor and they said they don't fix it. Sounds amazing in their webpage, in real life it's different. That sounds like a scam for me. So this its first and last time with MI Homes, mobile homes have better warranty.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I signed a lot reservation agreement with MI Homes that gave me 40 days to be under contract. Three days after I signed the contract, they took the deposit out of my account. One week after I signed the agreement they pushed me to come in NOW to sign a contract. When I arrived, I was informed that I would be required to include a three car garage to the floor plan I had selected. I did not want a 3 car garage but a 2 car garage. They said that was not possible. I can understand not being able to build a larger garage but not a smaller one. So they wanted me to pay more for the house to reduce my yard space when yard space was one of my most important items, which they were told at the beginning of our first meeting. So I declined the contract to build and cancelled the lot reservation.

I waited a week and a half to get my deposit refunded. It states in the agreement that if we do not enter into a contract the money is returned to me. When I still had not received it after ten days (3 days to take it remember), I emailed the representative to ask how long it will take. No response. I called the number and someone said they would have the representative contact me within an hour. No response. I call again and finally get a call back and am told that it takes them 30 days to write a check for the refund. So bottom line, you can't build what you want even though you will be the one paying for it and living in it. They don't stand by their own agreements (not allowing me 40 days) and they take your money quickly but are very slow to return it. Obviously this organization is only about the bottom line and not making sure homeowners are happy with what they build.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I do not recommend M/I Homes. The sales person was horrible and lied to our realtor about the amount of rentals...which, by the way, a majority are M/I Homes. We also gave the punch list to the sales person who said he would deliver it to the builder and everything would be fixed. Well, he either didn’t give the full list or not everything was fixed. We have crooked tiles in the kitchen and the tiles in the kitchen and dining room are not aligned with the tiles in the entryway. Our realtor also told the sales person that we needed French Drains due to all of the standing water. Well, 9.5 months later we still have standing water and we haven’t been running our sprinklers! This has caused us to struggle with mosquitos and our carpet is ruined due to the times it hadn’t rained in days and our dogs somehow got mud inside - that’s when we realized the severity of the drainage issues.

Our fence is also off the property line by 7 inches - the poles are supposed to be in the middle of the property line. The Director of Construction (I believe that is his title) said he would replace the fence and flip the panels. I looked like an idiot TWICE because the M/I guy didn’t relay the information to the fence company. It took MONTHS to get this resolved and still, technically, our fence is not on the fence line due to the fence company refusing to move the poles. I have pictures and videos of the drainage issues as well as the fence. The fence company flipped the panels but did a chop job and I had to submit another warranty request and fight to have the panels replaced (which is how I looked like an idiot in front of the fence guys twice).

A customer should NEVER feel like an idiot, especially in front of representatives of M/I and companies. We gave an honest review and were called by a representative who was angry that I questioned his integrity. Of course I did! I looked like an idiot TWICE due to him. He also said the areas of drainage issues would all be regraded but come to find out, only the back corner will be regraded. We shall see if that even happens. Our community is known for drainage issues and other builders install French drains with no fight. How do I know? Neighbors talk! Plenty of M/I homeowners are disappointed in M/I - and a house is a MAJOR purchase.

I am so extremely disappointed. There is a HUGE lack of communication from top leaders to those in their care which causes issues - the messenger and the customer wind up looking like idiots. We were warned by a friend from Ohio not to use M/I and I should have listened. I do not recommend them. The sad part is that we love our floor plan. The sales person will say ANYTHING to get you under contract and then you’re on your own. We bought a spec home but we have loved our builder and the warranty girl. It’s not their fault that their leadership doesn’t communicate. However, due to all of the issues we have had after closing, I do not recommend them. It has been a massive headache and I fought for several months and now I’m tired! I guess that’s their tactic - wear you down and you’ll shut up! Don’t buy or build with M/I unless you have plenty of time on your hands and the patience of a saint to be on their backs 24/7 to get things fixed properly.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I'm writing this in hopes that I can save someone else from making the same mistake that we did. First, do not buy a house that is "pre-planned" or specced out by this developer. They have only done this because there is something undesirable about the lot. The defect may not be obvious when you look at the ungraded lot, but there is something that makes it undesirable.

Second, and this probably goes without saying, hire an agent and lawyer before even stepping foot in one of their communities. This developer knows how to play you. They will lie through omission and deceive you to try and make a sale. I know, real shocker right? The developer is not transparent and they do not have your best intentions in mind throughout the process.

M/I Homes Company Information