Columbus, Ohio

1.6/5 (130 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About M/I Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

M/I Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: March 18, 2022

I am a resident next to one of their new developments. They have wrecked and caused thousands of dollars in damages in 3 communities now for a year and WE ARE STILL FIGHTING FOR OUR SAFETY. Empty promises and have no respect for the elderly living next to their hilltop estates project for a YEAR now. Google them online and read. Very poor rating and many lawsuits. Over 100 BBB bad reviews/complaints. If you are buying a new home do a deep investigation on them and find a better company.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

This review is based on my experience in the preliminary buying process. I ended up not purchasing a home with m/i builders and wanted to inform future homeowners of the process. It was clear they were strongly trying to get me not to add any upgrades that would create a lot of work for the builder. For everyone there was a sales pitch as to why this would be a poor choice- option windows would cause too much lights of take useable wall space, morning rooms are never used, not adding the option soffits since they don’t look good, electric fireplace that didn’t require stonework, etc. yet other upgrades were pushed that were very expensive but seemed necessary to the basic construction of the home - venting the microwave, insulating the garage, options that were upgrades instead of standard. Bottom line it seems the sale is more important than quality and design.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

Requested the carpet in the living room, they “combined the living room and island bar stool area”. I call it their design flop. When I requested to fix it, they refused. My next investment is not going to be M/I home builder.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

M/I Homes is a joke. From the salesperson to the builders and everyone in between. Purchasing a home through this company has been nothing short of a nightmare. Salesperson gave us false promises on many things including size of backyard, the flooring throughout the house, finishes of the kitchen and some other things. You can definitely tell that M/I Homes is all about quantity over quality.

After our inspector came, M/I Homes has to send people to come fix the things he found wrong… I was given a window of when they would arrive, and they didn’t show up in that window. Called and spoke to someone and said that the crew was running behind by more than a few hours. This is my only day off from work. By the time they show up, I will have wasted my entire day by waiting for them. None of this was communicated to me. I had to reach out to them. Super unprofessional and I will say nothing but negative things about this company to friends and family who are looking to purchase a new home. DO BETTER M/I HOMES. Yuck.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I believe with all my heart that M/I Homes has contracted the most mediocre individuals on the market. From the engineering (M/I specific told me that the air conditioning was a 5 TONS). Well I am a Mechanical Engineer with a Master in Refrigeration; I know that a 3,000 square feet requires a 5 TONS no matter how you slice it. Well they are underhanded and installed a 3.5 Tons. Of course my house can not cool down in those Hot Summer days in Florida (The lowest I could go is 79F - when is 90 outside). Electrical Wires; I had to change 90% of the wires. Did I mentioned this is a new house?. I have still been waiting for them to come and repair walls and scratches. I was going to hire a lawyer; but they told me that they have more than one lawyer. It was going to cost me $15,000 (for the lawyer to sue the bastards) - instead I am doing the work myself.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2021

If I could give negative stars on the craftsmanship of our brand new house, I would. Walls are bowed (can’t even paint an accent color, it would show too much), trim is cracked, windows are crooked and won’t lock (and this was after they installed the wrong window)… The list goes on and on and something new is found daily. Awful work, So disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

Wish I could give negative stars for the builder and the product (house they made) and the non-existent customer service. They gave me broken product with "promises" to get them fixed and now they have stopped responding with no shame at all. They are basically fraud. I have transcripts of all my communications with the customer service folks with timestamps and how often they respond over last year and half. I would recommend anyone reading this review to avoid buying home from this builder if you can. I am pretty sure other builders are not as bad as M/I.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Not reliable service at all.... Not recommended to buy the house from M/I Homes. There are several issues with new houses such as:

1. roof leakage
    2. wall cracks
    3. uneven installation of flooring
    4. carpet issue

5. paint issue and many more

And the worst part is no one responded when I reported the issue to customer care. They gave me many excuses not to visit and not to repair. Very disappointed.... I posted a review on their site 2 weeks back, and I got their reply but there was no action taken yet.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

This company does NOT care about quality or customer service. As I have read in other reviews the statements about standing behind their work or fixing anything is so true! They are terrible. Stay away!

Original review: July 27, 2021

We have been in our house for 18 months past the one year warranty period and still have 7 major repair items that have not been completed. Even with documentation of our request prior to the one year they are a black hole and will not respond. The warranty department puts the blame on the homeowner and has no intention of fixing issues that were there when built. The most blatant is the nail pops and cracks that are supposed to be fixed. After one year have not been done as we have been told at least five times it has been scheduled with no results.

M/I Homes Company Information