2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

M/I Homes Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

When visiting M/I Homes communities I find very helpful staff with a vast range of knowledge. The communities are well maintained and very inviting. Price per square foot is the best in town. Hands down the best builder in Houston.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I visited the sales office in Kildeer and fell in love with the ranch model. The salesperson walked us through the model and explained what we would get if we built a home. I also like that the lawn and snow are taken care of for you. The views with the trees behind some lots are beautiful. The salesperson was honest and thorough.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

The entire experience with the team at M/I has been such a blessing!! Jennifer, Quinn & Laura have been rock stars and have fought tooth & nail for us. Jennifer got us in contact with her credit repair agent, Shana who also was a lifesaver!! Even with some speed bumps along the way, this team and their expertise and stubbornness, got us to the closing table on our M/I home next Friday. I truly believe we would not be closing next week if it were not for these AMAZING individuals!! God is so good.

Original review: April 21, 2020

We moved into our home in 2017. My first suggestion is to look at every nook and cranny of your home during the walk through. As most of the reviews have stated. The nail pops are ridiculous. They are in the walls and the ceiling. I noticed some time after we moved in that the platform of our front door as well as the wall in our bathroom were uneven. We have cracks in our wall and various other noticeable issues that should not be an issue 2 years in. I chalk it up to poor materials and poor oversight of the foreman. I am a nurse and always liken it to the care I give my patients. Would anyone want a nurse providing less than optimal care to their patients? Homes are expensive and the same expertise/care should be placed into building these homes. I think having to meet deadlines and doing optimal work does not go hand and hand for MI Homes.

Original review: April 16, 2020

This is the 3rd brand new home I have purchased over the last 10 years. I can say without a doubt, that M/I is by far the worst experience of the three. If not for the location and price, we would have walked away. The salesperson's standard answer for any modifications or most upgrades was "no, we don't do that". Options are limited and upgrades virtually non-existent. And these are homes that require some upgrades to be functional and enjoyable to live in. There are many signs that this is a budget builder that skimps on quality and workmanship.

For example, the standard toilets are tiny, and about 12 inches off the ground-laughable. And there are no upgrades. We had to have them removed and replaced with adult sized commodes at our own expense. None of the cabinets in the home came with knobs to open easily. Not even as an upgrade. We had to have knobs and levers installed on them at our own expense. The cheap, simulated wood linoleum flooring in the living spaces will tear at the slightest amount of pressure. Even the doors to various spaces give away the cheapness and pettiness of this builder. The bathroom doors look like closet doors as they are so narrow (24") wide. The closets are even more pathetic at a mere "18" in width. This builder further cuts corners by dropping the ceilings in the secondary bedrooms and bathroom to 8' versus the 9'+ in the rest of the home.

As the home was rushed to close by a specified date, the quality and workmanship are obviously absent. Doors do not stay in the position you leave them, either continuing to open all the way or worse, closing on their own. Door hinges began squeaking and groaning after a week in the house. After a recent rain storm, the floor by the backdoor was covered in water that leaked in from the door. There is further evidence of shoddy workmanship throughout the house; uneven paint textures, loose hardware in bathrooms, light switches that are illogically placed, poor lighting in some spaces, and loose faucet fixtures.

A few days before closing we conveyed our concerns that things were being rushed to complete the house, and thus not being done right, to both the sales person and to the Construction supervisor, but neither budged to try and accommodate our concerns and possibly push the closing date back a little to ensure everything was being done in an accurate and careful manner. The only positive things I can say are that the location and floor plan are good. However, if we had it to do over again, we would have most definitely gone with another builder, such as D.R. Horton, Lennar, or KB. I believe it is only a matter of time that we have issues with many items on this home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

DO NOT TRUST THEM!!! Hello! My family signed a contract in October 2019 for the construction of a one-story house at **! At first, it immediately seemed strange to me why the developer requires a deposit of $3,500, that's a lot! But they assured us that they had such requirements! And do not worry, because in case of changes, such as the bank’s refusal to finance, our deposit of $3,500 is returned to us in full! Do not believe the original price! The price indicated by the builder in the price list does not correspond to reality! They will add tens of thousands of $$$to the price list! You have to pay extra for everything! Even the door to the toilet in the master bedroom! And the second wash basin.... even the usual window in the kitchen charged us $700!

At the end of construction, we received a bank refusal of financing, and the builder categorically refused to return our deposit of $3,500 to us! Be careful, the MI Homes builder will never return your money, even if it is not your fault and the bank will give you a refusal to finance!!! It should not be! The buyer is not guilty that this happened and the builder has no right to appropriate my money! I advise everyone frankly, go to other builders, there are a lot of them in the USA and much more honest and better quality homes!

Other builders never ask for such a large deposit of $3,500! For example, a builder DR Horton deposit just 750$ and LGI Homes around 1000$. And their quality much better!!! MI homes has a non-standard contract, the builder prescribes 14 days, during which you can return the deposit! Purposefully deception you! So that you can never return the deposit! Because in fact, financing a bank takes much longer and MI homes knows and understands this in advance! Read the contract carefully! MI Homes writes very tricky conditions! Be careful!!!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

A sales women (Jojo at Cinco Lakes in San Antonio) informed and actually reassured our home was in a certain county, since the development is right on the edge. We were misinformed and upon finding out the truth we had already put down earnest money. We decided to not go through with buying the home because of the county. The tax difference is insane. She told us we would get our earnest back, we waited but didn’t receive it after giving her our address. We called about it and corporate wouldn’t give it back. I inquired multiple times trying to get it back. I had tried the VP in our area but got nothing. It’s difficult to find out who to get in contact with. Because of their ill knowledge of their own development and lying staff they wouldn’t give it back.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

We listed our Little Elm, TX house and bought the lot for a Prosper, TX house on contingency the same weekend. Our house never sold. It took fighting for 4 months to get them to return our earnest money when we built on contingency and our house hadn't sold by closing. They even had us write a letter of "personal hardship" to the president of their company to try to persuade M/I to comply with the contingency and they still refused. A lawyer from Berkshire Hathaway volunteered to fight for us and after four months they finally apologized and claimed they didn't "notice" the contract was a contingency. I've got emails arguing about how it certainly was and they claimed it didn't matter. They say it was an "honest mistake" that has "never, ever happened." Well, we'll see. Ever happen to anyone else?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We tried to purchase a home from M/I in 2019 at the preserve at Doe Creek in Prosper Tx. There were many many promises and declarations made by their salesperson, Taylor **, that we’re not true. Even in their contract, it states they are NOT to be held to any promises made by their salespeople. That should make you realize the type of people you will be dealing with. Our salesperson said that they would lock in our rate and they would pay for that until we closed. Of course, this ended up being a lie. Their financial department refused to stand behind this promise. We were told certain things were standard in the home. Also a lie. They refused to stand behind these statements. The final straw came when we went to speak to the builder about how the house was to be positioned on the lot.

The salesperson said we would be able to determine placement because we wanted to add a pool. Of course, another lie. The placement of the home had been set since the neighborhood was developed. We began calling anyone we could find in M/Is chain of command. We were able to get a hold of the VP of our area and they agreed to return our earnest money, which we were shocked by since everyone else refused to have any sort of morals. I have spoken to other homeowners in the neighborhood who had many of the same complaints as we did, and they have also had many problems with their homes and the quality of their building. I would think long and hard before I even thought about an M/I home. The company and their work does not seem very quality in any way.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Our home was built in 2015. Black soot built all over the house, M/I blamed it from candles to the oil I was using for cooking (we find this latter to be discriminatory and insulting). The problem is due to bad construction. Buyer beware. Do not built your home with M/I homes. There are many other options, we at the Ambria community in Fishers, Indiana are ready to give you more details. Just visit us. Any homeowner will tell you the horror stories. They are not trustworthy nor are they a construction company, horror stories from this builder. I have given them a 1 star. In reality they are minus 10, yes! That bad!!!

M/I Homes Company Information