Columbus, Ohio

1.6/5 (142 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About M/I Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

M/I Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

I would strongly advise to find any other home builder to build you a house. MI homes are full of empty promises. l from the project managers to the Vp of the Cincinnati branch. I have lived in my home for over a year and a half and still waiting for them to fix issues with multiple follow ups from me and none from them. They will tell you they will fix it and avoid you at all cost, even if you call them and email them daily. Be careful please

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

I had a contract with M/I to build a new home, paid earnest money of 30k + 4.5k for an interest rate lock, it is supposed to be completed in one year, it is delayed almost 6 months. Long story short, my wife lost her job toward closing, we were not eligible financially so we claimed a refund, but their answer is "earnest money was at risk when you were not able to qualify for your home, but that was contractual from 20 days after the contract."

They never negotiate and refund earnest money in any condition, if I had known that I wouldn't have been refunded by M/I home even though I am not eligible financially, I would never make a contract with M/I for the long term honestly. I don't know, big companies give a decision in favor of the consumer in such a case, but M/I don't. Another feedback about M/I home, they are unresponsive to your email, They never answer your critical questions through your email, I don't know. Maybe it is company policy but it is not professional.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

Building into declining housing market. Things started to turn ugly as soon as we sign the contract. Despite of many false claims - prices rising everywhere and you getting a great deal (pure lie as per Aug.2022), we stopped getting any updates on the house as soon as sales person left for medical reason. Communication went horrible. MI financial department - Maria was horrible. I had to refinance with another bank for much higher rate because it took her 2 weeks to respond and rates went through the roof. She didn’t respond to emails and phone calls. I lost my low rate, thanks to MI Finances.

Every small requested change in the design was denied (even interior paint) when the frame of the house is still not finished. They have “price protection” advertisement and they increase prices 1-2K in our community every months. The same happening in other parts is the country where MI homes build new homes. Just to keep prices artificially inflated so they would never apply “price protection” they never intended to apply on the first place. I hope false advertisement and high pressure sales tactic will lead to legal actions. I regret I paid my deposit to this scam company. I’d rather donate money to anybody in need rather than filling already huge builder’s pocket with extra money.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

The entire process was frustrating from the beginning. We did build during the pandemic so thought that was the issue. Clearly not. After multiple delays, failed promises and lack of follow through we moved in to our new home. We found cheap and careless craftsmanship. Customer care agents during the warranty process who only cared about their reviews. When your year is up any ounce of care they may have given about your purchase is gone. Even if reputable contractors provide clear evidence that items were installed incorrectly and should be fixed. Disappointed and frustrated!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

My name is Mariam **, I am reaching out in regards to getting a refund of the earnest money due to being extremely misled throughout the process. May 20th I signed, May 22nd I received a call from the lender. We spoke about how I was pre approved, I made it clear that I was looking for payments 1,800 which was shared with Steven as well. The lender replied that yes it was possible, I also mentioned the interest rates which I was worried about and I wanted to lock it. Never got a call back whatsoever.

The main reason for me sharing this situation is because I was denied a refund. I do not understand, the lender said everything was possible but when I got my assigned loan officer he told me that was never possible. However, he shared that I was misinformed and due to this I contacted sales. I had many other options but I went with M/I Homes due to Steven's hospitality and assurance on the numbers I was looking for. Now I am denied my refund for something I approached on time. If I was never going to get approved for the 1,800, if this was never possible, why was I not informed? If the lender would have shared that I would have cancelled on May 22th, because my money was not drafted out until the 24th.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

M/I Homes is the worst customer service and worst builders I have seen so far. They are very rude and promise lot but do nothing. I bought my house for 700K and after 10 months still lot of things need to be done. They are giving very hard time to solve any issues. Please do not go with M/I Homes. I do not recommend to buy an house with M/I Homes.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

More builders are lowering prices for homes as their confidence in the market continues to tumble. Homebuilder sentiment in September fell 3 points to 46 in the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index. Anything below 50 is considered negative. But not at M/I Halston Market in Des Plaines. They increased 2k on each house. Claiming Buyer traffic is very high. But it's false advertisement. Also earnest money is usually 1–3% of the purchase price. But M/I wants 5% upfront. Consumers remain on the sidelines due to high mortgage rates and home prices that are putting a new home purchase out of financial reach for many households.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Buyers be on high alert!!! They attract buyers with misleading information to take advantage of inexperienced buyers. They listed the Property for a low price to bring buyers and then adds additional cost to the overall price. Base price + land premium + high end package. But leaving out the necessary items. As part of the package you will get a hood, dishwasher, and gas range, but no refrigerator. Nor a washer or dryer.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

They are luring you into spending significantly more than the base price initially attracted you to the property and the community. Also, they want to get in front of the sales before the Housing Market takes a downturn and the price goes down. To protect yourself, research the builders reputation and the subcontractors used before committing to a purchase.

Hidden Costs: Lot premiums are more than 16k additional to the base price. Missing Necessities. No refrigerator washer and dryer not included. Pricey Upgrades. Second bowl to owners' Bathroom. Other bathrooms upgrades. Laundry Tub cost 1k. Street facing lot brickwork 4-5k. They already knew which building would be the street-facing but didn't add the brickworks to the base price. Now it's an additional cost for the buyer. Also, consider the future resale value. A lot premium that you pay today won't result in a higher resale value in the future.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

This establishment completely leaves you in the dark after you've been roped into a high cost, low quality home. Certain repairs and assessments (and there are so many issues) that should legally be M/I Homes responsibility as stated in the maintenance responsibility form are instead forced out of the homeowners by DELIBERATE lack of communication.

M/I Homes Company Information