Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

M/I Homes Reviews

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

The entire experience with the team at M/I has been such a blessing!! Jennifer, Quinn & Laura have been rock stars and have fought tooth & nail for us. Jennifer got us in contact with her credit repair agent, Shana who also was a lifesaver!! Even with some speed bumps along the way, this team and their expertise and stubbornness, got us to the closing table on our M/I home next Friday. I truly believe we would not be closing next week if it were not for these AMAZING individuals!! God is so good.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We purchased a home from M/I Homes and ran into a major issue with it. Unlike many other companies, they stood behind their home and took the time to correct the problem. They had to bring in specialists to do tests and make sure that things were done correctly. I've often said that it's not IF a company has a problem that determines whether a company is good or bad, but it's how the company chooses to deal with those problems that makes that determination. M/I Homes was excellent to us and if we're in the market to build a new home and they built them in our area, we wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again!

Get expert buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We recently moved into our M/I home in Dripping Springs, Tx. We couldn’t be more pleased! We are now retired and have had 3 new homes in Minnesota where weather can be extreme. The construction of this home is top-notch. The multi pane windows and Carrier HVAC system are of high quality and will provide efficiency in the hot Texas summers. The contractor and sales team at Arrowhead Ranch have been great to work with and we look forward to living in this beautiful part of Texas!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We had our home built in 2002 by M/I Homes. Normal wear on a home is expected however we had some water damage over time from rain. All the exterior trim..they used pressed wood. The quality of work is just horrible. Unfinished edges of cabinets, poor drywall finishing, flooring that has ripples at the edges, the list goes on. I have never seen another builder cut corners corners the way MI Homes has done. Buyer beware. Never build with MI homes.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I bought a home from MI. Huge mistake. Don’t buy an MI Home. My latest issue amongst many is MI Homes left me with an old rickety fence placed by the developer. I was promised from the day I picked out my lot that that fence would be replaced. Of course they didn’t do anything about it. I paid for a full fence but only got two sides. I contacted Susan ** on August 15, 2019 and also sent her pictures of the old falling down fence and as of today September 15, 2019 I’ve heard nothing back.

Additionally I paid 3K for a sprinkler system that was so poorly installed that I spend several hours every week hand watering my yard because I have so many dry spots. The lies come fast and frequent and silence to addressing these issues is deafening. The fence builder had to run the top board of my fence an extra 12 inches out to reach the leaning fence to join them. STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOME BUILDER.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

We originally purchased our home to be built from Pinnacle Homes in March 2018. Right after we picked all our colors and finishes, Pinnacle was bought out by M/I Homes. This was the start of the long uphill battle I have been fighting ever since. M/I Homes contacted us and told us half of our selections were no longer available and that we needed to come back in to pick new ones. Upon arrival, they tried to charge us for granite which was originally included in my sales contract. Several arguments later, they honored the contract. We finally broke ground almost five months after purchase and they kept blaming the township for how slow everything was moving. Our next major issue arose during the initial walk-through. The painters did such a horrible job that we had blue tape (given to us to mark the things that needed fixing before closing) covering all the walls, ceilings, moldings, you name it.

There were many dents in my brand new cabinets (highest level we could upgrade to) and the woodwork on the open railing we upgraded to was not properly filled with wood putty so it looked like hell. There was plastic sticking out of the siding and paper sticking out of the brickwork. I was assured this would all be taken care of when we did the final walk through the morning of the closing. Wrong! I was horrified to find that all the painters did was walk around and remove all the tape. Nothing was corrected! So what do I do now? Their horrific contract would charge me $200 a day if I didn't close on THEIR closing day, but my house is nowhere near done! I was assured that it would all be taken care of shortly after the closing which took place on December 28, 2018. My gut said otherwise, but again, I'm at the mercy of this contract. Shortly after closing, I wanted to install a fan in my fireplace to take advantage of the heat.

I went to measure it so I could buy the right model and was horrified to see that I'd paid for a 42" upgraded fireplace and this one measured 36". The foreman came out to measure and his face turned pale. When he got back to us, he assured us that we received the upgrade and that all the base models were 32". Needless to say, I got a check for $1,000 for that misclarification. Fast forward 8 month - I have had the painters out six times to correct all their mistakes. Was it the job you would expect on a half million dollar home? No. I have had the drywall team out twice to fix their awful mud work. The one bright spot with this company was the woman they sent out to fix it. She took her time and it looks great now. The cabinet people have been out twice to replace the dented pieces and I am still waiting on a replacement for the piece that is dented the worst.

The first time the piece arrived, it was beat up more than the piece that is installed in my home. I refused it per the carpenter's instructions. The second time the carpenter came out, he had the wrong piece all together. Will it ever be replaced? At the end of June, we finally got concrete on our front porch to replace the "draw bridge" that they constructed and a sidewalk to the porch. Why that wasn't installed around the time they did my driveway, I'll never know. Within the last month (July), they finally installed landscaping, irrigation, and sod (August). That should have been done in April when the weather turned nice. I have paint spots in about 10 different locations on my siding. The siding is grayish blue and the paint is beige so it's very obvious. That hasn't been corrected to this point. I'm told I will receive a phone call but it hasn't come. What drives me crazy the most is their lack of response to texts and emails.

It takes at least two to three before they will respond that something is in the works. You might see it fixed a month later? There have been so many headaches to count so if I could go back in time, I wouldn't have purchased this property through M/I Homes. You can't make this stuff up. I gave them more than enough time to fix the mistakes before writing this review. 8 MONTHS! 8 MONTHS and my house isn't complete. Do yourself a favor, and look for a builder with good reviews to save yourself the hassle.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I purchased a condo in Washington Twp., MI in June 2018. The backyards slope in our community and as a result I constantly have standing water in the grass. As a result 50% of my backyard is constantly soaked. (This also creates challenges for the large mowers to cut the grass - leaving ruts throughout the lawn.) I've contacted several people within M/I Homes over the last 4 months about the problem. They keep telling me that they need to have their land development people assess the problem. They have yet to do it. (Very poor after the sale follow up and resolution.) My condo was built by Pinnacle Homes, but bought out by M/I Homes. Pinnacle was much better a customer satisfaction.

Original review: July 23, 2019

We have been in our MN house for four months. We were told landscaping and sod would be done with in 6 weeks of closing. Guess what: still waiting!! Weeds have overtaken our yard and it looks like an abandoned house. On top of that, no communication on punch list items (missing bathroom cabinet hardware, peeling Sheetrock tape, etc.), and 20% of the bushes that were planted were dying when planted and are now withered and dry in front of our house. It’s embarrassing to come home to everyday. Best part: no communication! No one returns your calls or texts, so you’re stuck wondering what if anything will be done the next day. I can’t find anyone in charge who can make this right and M/I has moved on to build their next houses. Hey, how about finishing what you started?? My next step is calling my attorney. I just keep hoping that won’t be necessary.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Our home purchased in 2018 has many structural flaws. Only a couple of them have been addressed. Trying to reach a representative to handle any builder warranty repairs has been almost impossible. Very dissatisfied.

Original review: July 15, 2019

We love our house. For the most part it is designed well and was built fairly well. We did have some major issues, identified by a home inspector, that they REFUSE to fix because they are "up to code" but that is beside the point. The major is issue is dealing with them as a company. I put in 1 year repair request in March 2019, and currently it is June 2019. With me having to email the company 2-4 times to get a response. There are still issues to address and fix but they fight you every step of the way. If you do not have to deal with them they are great but if you have an issues you will hate all parts of it, and be ready for a fight.

M/I Homes Company Information