Columbus, Ohio

1.6/5 (138 ratings)
Find a Home Builders partner
Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About M/I Homes

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

M/I Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

My name is Mariam **, I am reaching out in regards to getting a refund of the earnest money due to being extremely misled throughout the process. May 20th I signed, May 22nd I received a call from the lender. We spoke about how I was pre approved, I made it clear that I was looking for payments 1,800 which was shared with Steven as well. The lender replied that yes it was possible, I also mentioned the interest rates which I was worried about and I wanted to lock it. Never got a call back whatsoever.

The main reason for me sharing this situation is because I was denied a refund. I do not understand, the lender said everything was possible but when I got my assigned loan officer he told me that was never possible. However, he shared that I was misinformed and due to this I contacted sales. I had many other options but I went with M/I Homes due to Steven's hospitality and assurance on the numbers I was looking for. Now I am denied my refund for something I approached on time. If I was never going to get approved for the 1,800, if this was never possible, why was I not informed? If the lender would have shared that I would have cancelled on May 22th, because my money was not drafted out until the 24th.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

M/I Homes is the worst customer service and worst builders I have seen so far. They are very rude and promise lot but do nothing. I bought my house for 700K and after 10 months still lot of things need to be done. They are giving very hard time to solve any issues. Please do not go with M/I Homes. I do not recommend to buy an house with M/I Homes.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

More builders are lowering prices for homes as their confidence in the market continues to tumble. Homebuilder sentiment in September fell 3 points to 46 in the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index. Anything below 50 is considered negative. But not at M/I Halston Market in Des Plaines. They increased 2k on each house. Claiming Buyer traffic is very high. But it's false advertisement. Also earnest money is usually 1–3% of the purchase price. But M/I wants 5% upfront. Consumers remain on the sidelines due to high mortgage rates and home prices that are putting a new home purchase out of financial reach for many households.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Buyers be on high alert!!! They attract buyers with misleading information to take advantage of inexperienced buyers. They listed the Property for a low price to bring buyers and then adds additional cost to the overall price. Base price + land premium + high end package. But leaving out the necessary items. As part of the package you will get a hood, dishwasher, and gas range, but no refrigerator. Nor a washer or dryer.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

They are luring you into spending significantly more than the base price initially attracted you to the property and the community. Also, they want to get in front of the sales before the Housing Market takes a downturn and the price goes down. To protect yourself, research the builders reputation and the subcontractors used before committing to a purchase.

Hidden Costs: Lot premiums are more than 16k additional to the base price. Missing Necessities. No refrigerator washer and dryer not included. Pricey Upgrades. Second bowl to owners' Bathroom. Other bathrooms upgrades. Laundry Tub cost 1k. Street facing lot brickwork 4-5k. They already knew which building would be the street-facing but didn't add the brickworks to the base price. Now it's an additional cost for the buyer. Also, consider the future resale value. A lot premium that you pay today won't result in a higher resale value in the future.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2022

This establishment completely leaves you in the dark after you've been roped into a high cost, low quality home. Certain repairs and assessments (and there are so many issues) that should legally be M/I Homes responsibility as stated in the maintenance responsibility form are instead forced out of the homeowners by DELIBERATE lack of communication.

Original review: July 4, 2022

For current & future MI Homes buyers please beware! This home builder's quality and customer service has declined within the past decade or so. I've been in my M/I home for 7 yrs now and it has been one battle after another. If you notice a problem early on, take pictures and document every conversation and follow up by email. I will tell you first hand that if you are in a 2 story home beware of the stucco issues on the 2nd floor. Also the flashing around the house is poorly designed and will crack which allows water to come into the home.

Another thing is there are few shoe molding in the bathroom which allows water to go through the ceiling and out the nearest vent. The ac is undersized, you will have a 5 ton handler and a 4 ton unit which causes static pressure and the ac unit will die before the manufacturer's warranty is up. The house has never heated or cooled evenly and the ac unit was installed with a cracked drip pan. My doors would not shut properly; they had to be reinstalled. All 17 of my windows have been repaired and now 4 of the repaired windows are bad again. The water in the sinks and tub do not drain very well and I have interior cracks in the garage. My cabinets were never primed which led to the paint coming off within 6 months of moving in.

The builder is aware and they have done nothing but fight me every step of the way. The subfloor has a large crack in it but they choose not to repair the crack and put padding and carpet over it. The bath exhaust fan had water coming into the bathroom during a cat 1 hurricane and the builder's excuse was "what do you expect, there was a hurricane" by the time the winds reached us the winds were less than 60mph. If this house can't withstand 60mph winds wth do you think will happen when a really hurricane hits. They take your money and now everything is our problem. Their installers suck and so does the county inspectors that allow them to pass inspections knowing these homes are poorly built. We need to come together and sue them. There are plenty of attorneys out there; we just need at least 50 customers to file a complaint.

Original review: June 5, 2022

M/I Homes _ purchased to build a home in 2020. The home was built- but I am still struggling to get things done a year in 2022. No Air balance, Painting, Hardwood floor, and installing Dead SOD! I wish I knew where to turn? At this point If I had money, I would turn to lawsuits. Please future American home builders be aware of M/I Homes.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I am a resident next to one of their new developments. They have wrecked and caused thousands of dollars in damages in 3 communities now for a year and WE ARE STILL FIGHTING FOR OUR SAFETY. Empty promises and have no respect for the elderly living next to their hilltop estates project for a YEAR now. Google them online and read. Very poor rating and many lawsuits. Over 100 BBB bad reviews/complaints. If you are buying a new home do a deep investigation on them and find a better company.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

This review is based on my experience in the preliminary buying process. I ended up not purchasing a home with m/i builders and wanted to inform future homeowners of the process. It was clear they were strongly trying to get me not to add any upgrades that would create a lot of work for the builder. For everyone there was a sales pitch as to why this would be a poor choice- option windows would cause too much lights of take useable wall space, morning rooms are never used, not adding the option soffits since they don’t look good, electric fireplace that didn’t require stonework, etc. yet other upgrades were pushed that were very expensive but seemed necessary to the basic construction of the home - venting the microwave, insulating the garage, options that were upgrades instead of standard. Bottom line it seems the sale is more important than quality and design.

M/I Homes Company Information