2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Columbus, Ohio

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Banner image

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

M/I Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: April 5, 2021

I am not happy with warranty services of MI Homes. We have issue of leakage in one of bathroom and we have given a long time of two weeks plus some days for waiting and ask to share bathroom as we have 3 bathrooms. No emails or no massage on mobile given when they come to fix the problem.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

We made an appointment to view a property. After viewing the property we decided to go with an Elevation B on a corner lot and added upgrades and all. I have noticed that Juliane (the person taking care of us) seemed bothered when we asked questions as if she didn’t want to deal with us. So I gave the benefit of the doubt maybe she was having a rough morning. My wife and I decided we would go with the property and asked this Juliane person what would the next step be from there. She said we had until Tuesday to wrap things up (it was Sunday Valentine’s Day) on the property and bring the earnest money and sign some paperwork. So we agreed that I would call her ASAP to arrange for a time to meet.

As we are driving back home we called her and she wanted us to go back the same day. Please keep in mind we are an hour away. So we told we would call right back. My wife tried calling back within minutes. She would not answer. My wife sent her a text of which Juliane did not answer. So we decided to drive back to Juliane’s office. I asked her upon arriving if she wanted to take care of the earnest money now or the following day and she told me she just sold the property to the next family that came in. What kind of nerves of her to make arrangements with us and then sell the property from underneath us less than 2 hours later. You have to be money hungry to do something like that. That is some inconsiderate dark **. How money hungry do you have to be to pull some ** like that. After you knew we were bring you the earnest money.

Juliane, you must not have any morals and are not passionate for Poe Poe nor your job. You should be ashamed of yourself. But I am a firm believer that things happens for a reason. Since I have read their reviews and I am glad to say that I am happy I did not make the purchase. Folks please read the reviews before going here!!! Good Luck!!!

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

M/I Homes says they have the best warranty roof to floor, wall to wall and then what I get it's a COURTESY REPAIR... not obligation, just courtesy at 6 months and 12 months. Thats doesn't sound like a warranty for me. Then after got cracks covered, I am the one that I have to paint it. That doesn't looks how M/I homes says in their webpage. ROOF TO FLOOR... I have a big crack in my garage floor and they said they don't fix it. Sounds amazing in their webpage, in real life it's different. That sounds like a scam for me. So this its first and last time with MI Homes, mobile homes have better warranty.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I signed a lot reservation agreement with MI Homes that gave me 40 days to be under contract. Three days after I signed the contract, they took the deposit out of my account. One week after I signed the agreement they pushed me to come in NOW to sign a contract. When I arrived, I was informed that I would be required to include a three car garage to the floor plan I had selected. I did not want a 3 car garage but a 2 car garage. They said that was not possible. I can understand not being able to build a larger garage but not a smaller one. So they wanted me to pay more for the house to reduce my yard space when yard space was one of my most important items, which they were told at the beginning of our first meeting. So I declined the contract to build and cancelled the lot reservation.

I waited a week and a half to get my deposit refunded. It states in the agreement that if we do not enter into a contract the money is returned to me. When I still had not received it after ten days (3 days to take it remember), I emailed the representative to ask how long it will take. No response. I called the number and someone said they would have the representative contact me within an hour. No response. I call again and finally get a call back and am told that it takes them 30 days to write a check for the refund. So bottom line, you can't build what you want even though you will be the one paying for it and living in it. They don't stand by their own agreements (not allowing me 40 days) and they take your money quickly but are very slow to return it. Obviously this organization is only about the bottom line and not making sure homeowners are happy with what they build.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I do not recommend M/I Homes. The sales person was horrible and lied to our realtor about the amount of rentals...which, by the way, a majority are M/I Homes. We also gave the punch list to the sales person who said he would deliver it to the builder and everything would be fixed. Well, he either didn’t give the full list or not everything was fixed. We have crooked tiles in the kitchen and the tiles in the kitchen and dining room are not aligned with the tiles in the entryway. Our realtor also told the sales person that we needed French Drains due to all of the standing water. Well, 9.5 months later we still have standing water and we haven’t been running our sprinklers! This has caused us to struggle with mosquitos and our carpet is ruined due to the times it hadn’t rained in days and our dogs somehow got mud inside - that’s when we realized the severity of the drainage issues.

Our fence is also off the property line by 7 inches - the poles are supposed to be in the middle of the property line. The Director of Construction (I believe that is his title) said he would replace the fence and flip the panels. I looked like an idiot TWICE because the M/I guy didn’t relay the information to the fence company. It took MONTHS to get this resolved and still, technically, our fence is not on the fence line due to the fence company refusing to move the poles. I have pictures and videos of the drainage issues as well as the fence. The fence company flipped the panels but did a chop job and I had to submit another warranty request and fight to have the panels replaced (which is how I looked like an idiot in front of the fence guys twice).

A customer should NEVER feel like an idiot, especially in front of representatives of M/I and companies. We gave an honest review and were called by a representative who was angry that I questioned his integrity. Of course I did! I looked like an idiot TWICE due to him. He also said the areas of drainage issues would all be regraded but come to find out, only the back corner will be regraded. We shall see if that even happens. Our community is known for drainage issues and other builders install French drains with no fight. How do I know? Neighbors talk! Plenty of M/I homeowners are disappointed in M/I - and a house is a MAJOR purchase.

I am so extremely disappointed. There is a HUGE lack of communication from top leaders to those in their care which causes issues - the messenger and the customer wind up looking like idiots. We were warned by a friend from Ohio not to use M/I and I should have listened. I do not recommend them. The sad part is that we love our floor plan. The sales person will say ANYTHING to get you under contract and then you’re on your own. We bought a spec home but we have loved our builder and the warranty girl. It’s not their fault that their leadership doesn’t communicate. However, due to all of the issues we have had after closing, I do not recommend them. It has been a massive headache and I fought for several months and now I’m tired! I guess that’s their tactic - wear you down and you’ll shut up! Don’t buy or build with M/I unless you have plenty of time on your hands and the patience of a saint to be on their backs 24/7 to get things fixed properly.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I'm writing this in hopes that I can save someone else from making the same mistake that we did. First, do not buy a house that is "pre-planned" or specced out by this developer. They have only done this because there is something undesirable about the lot. The defect may not be obvious when you look at the ungraded lot, but there is something that makes it undesirable.

Second, and this probably goes without saying, hire an agent and lawyer before even stepping foot in one of their communities. This developer knows how to play you. They will lie through omission and deceive you to try and make a sale. I know, real shocker right? The developer is not transparent and they do not have your best intentions in mind throughout the process.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

We had a great experience with Theresia ** at the M/I Homes design studio here in DFW, TX. She was knowledgeable, stylish, easy to work with, and guided us through the process step-by-step! We definitely recommend Theresia ** at M/I Homes' design studio in Lewisville, TX. She made the process stress free and made sure we understood and LOVED each choice we made. We don't think you will find a better designer to work with to build your dream home!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

M/I uses cheap materials and shoddy labor to build what could be a nice home. Our HVAC is underpowered, and the ductwork was put in wrong. They started to have it fixed, then decided halfway through that they were not going to complete the job. Now I have taped up holes in the ductwork that I will have to pay another company to do the job correctly. They used a cracked PVC pipe for the sump pump. It runs between floors. It leaked and my downstairs bedroom ceiling had to be replaced. They forgot to put a linen closet in when the house was built. They left our home uncovered during the summer rains while it was under construction, and the mold was horrendous. We had leaks on all 3 floors for days until we threatened to walk out of the contract. They supposedly got rid of the mold and offered us a 30 year mold warranty. The subfloor now moves because the screw don't hold it down anymore.

I am just one of 80 plus villa owners in our community, and most of us have issues like this. Some of my neighbors have water in their basement that M/I has not been able to figure out. Our plans called for a 2 car garage and a driveway that holds 2 cars. We have 2 mid size cars, and I have yet to fit both cars in the garage. The ONLY way to fit two cars in the garage is to store nothing on the sides of the garage, so you can get out of the car. To park tow cars in the driveway, I have to park on both edges of the driveway. When I step out of the car, I'm stepping in the yard. My home is only 2 years old. I will be replacing the HVAC system with one that will heat and cool my home. M/I could have worked with me, but they fought me all along. I feel that I was lucky to get any service done. They have good floor plans, and that is what drew us to them. But at over a half a million dollars for a townhouse, I would expect better workmanship, materials, and customer service.

Don't get suckered into what looks to be a great looking package, You could end up a sucker like many in our Walden Woods of Laurel neighborhood have. I almost forgot to mention the By-Laws and Covenants. Ask for them and read them over well. Ours do NOT fit our community. They were copied from another community, but we are stuck with them for now. They are the rules, and you are required to live by them. Because you may not know your new neighbors yet, you could get someone on the board that would love to exploit those rules.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

It is normally not part of me to write reviews, especially if issues comes up that is understood as part of human limitations. I am putting this out from another perspective altogether since there will be issues because we are not living in a perfect world. My problem with MI Homes is accountability in responding to core issues. MI homes seems to have mastered the act of deferred response in hope of being let off the hook when signed contract liability is closed and transferred to homeowners or the one year maintenance contract is over. However, I was surrounded by good and wonderful neighbors in a community built by MI homes.

It seems to me MI homes have baked into their agreement and documentation to game unsuspecting buyers in case something happens to protect themselves. My issues with MI home are twofold. We escaped the third one but the incident gave us a clue of the nature of company and its subsidiary. Keep in mind that we closed May 13th 2020. Please use that as reference point how MI homes responds to issues discussed below.

1. During upgrade selection of our new homes around later 2019 and early 2020, we had requested to opt for double wall oven (a gourmet kitchen option) on only one condition. The condition is that the double oven is going to be “gas powered” instead of “electric”. I made a note, sent out an email for clarifications and every time, the answer was. It’s going to be “gas”. The rationale behind our choice of gas over electric is because of the overall cost of operating a gas vs electric over a long period of time. We would save 65-75% on utility bill with a gas vs electric in a year.

2. Secondly, we were told that our sod was going to be laid before closing if weather is good. Fortunately, weather was good. We had the largest lot in the subdivision with about 0.40 acres. We never knew we were getting setup/prep-up for eventual cost cutting cost on MI homes part once we closed on the property. With good weather, the sod was not laid before closing. It was laid 2-3 weeks after closing (after liability has been transferred).

Watch out for the pattern of resolving issue that got me to write this review.

Resolving issue No 1:

At orientation preceding closing, I called this issue out. I was told to send out an email and this issue will be resolved ASAP. There was no response, until after sending about third email reminder to at least have somebody respond (Note, we are few days:-about a day), someone called. I was told they thought I just wanted clarification. On closing day, we were almost not going to close on the closing when I notify my attorney about pending issue. The attorney suggested we will end up not having a place to stay since we already sign off with our former house. We got our first shocker when MI Homes representative said that since we have closed, there is nothing they can do. He however promised to get back to us ASAP on what options are available if he will be able to come up with any remediation in one way or another.

We never heard anything until after 3 to 4 weeks after sending out reminders. He even said upper management said there was nothing they could do (Please flip this if it’s something that was the fault of customer). Meanwhile, I had sent out an email way ahead of closing date under the suggestion of the MI representative during house orientation with us. This issue started before May 13th, 2020 and it’s still ongoing (08/15/2020). I can forward this email to those who maybe want to verify this claim

Resolving issue 2:

Because MI home deferred to lay the sod before closing, we were whacked with a lot of money keeping the sod wet. The city had to call us if there was any leak with the volume of water being used. My neighbors out of concern came along and said something like, “I hope MI Home did not put the burden of initial cost and maintenance on your Sod seeing me heavily working the lawn”. To add to this problem, a fraction of the lawn was “very very very” good because of the quality of the sod used for that section. Majority were struggling while some parts were dead on arrival! The MI home representative came and saw things after request and wondered why the sharp difference?

Again please check out the pattern of delay I called out now in MI homes response and delay tactics. We met MI representative July 7th, on July 17th after many many follow up text, I was told somebody was going to come again but nobody showed up until July 27th. The plan was to mow, aerate and feed application after which sprinkler. They were supposed to come back 10 days later. We did not see anybody again till today (08/15/2020) after July 27 2020; sprinkler was not setup as promised, no follow up after 10 days. I can anticipate another pattern; when falls comes around, I may hear another twist to the story that we do not lay sods during cold session. How are they going to make sure that the issue brought was resolved and the yards issue is properly maintained and resolved?

Now back to issue 1, one of the remediation plans was to get some funds in some form to help remove the burden of cost of running double electric cost over time into maintaining our yards (which was a separate issue). Even at that, the representative did not put anything plan/cost remediation on paper or email. He went on vacation, planned to be back and get back to us. Till date, I have not even heard any call or email. This representative kept assuring me that my assessment of how they respond to issue and my conclusion about their delayed tactics is not true and does not represent MI homes as a company. However, the facts and patterns tell another story. I am completely tired of chasing an organization down with calls and email when all that I am getting is one excuse after another. I do not know what else to do at this time and it will be a miracle to get things done before this month ends.

Lastly, MI homes have some very good representatives but it’s like the management is bottled up with cutting corners and making sure issues are not getting resolved. I do not know if it’s the representative that is presenting real customers issues as non-issues or the management that is responding to issues as non-essential service. Whatever, the case, there is communication gap between who is reporting issues and how it’s been handled based on directives from the management. MI Homes need to remove this stigma of dodging legitimate issues and earn the respect of customers. Adverts on YouTube and journals portray something good but the realities tell another story entirely. Once they get you sucked in, close your home, you are going to see another side of MI Homes not known to the public.

I will give one star because I got my basement leak fix and cabinet that broke apart after about 3 months that we moved into our home was resolved. Here is my story and hope this help someone and it brought some resolve in the heart of MI Homes to be completely take on accountability and customer service satisfaction as the very core of who they are!!!! Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

MI Homes does not stand behind what they say or write. We’ve had warranty issues stay open for two years now. Too many things to even list. They refuse to stand behind their word. This company is the absolute worst to deal with. Stay away.

M/I Homes Company Information