2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Columbus, Ohio

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.67/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

M/I Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about M/I Homes?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

We had a great experience with Theresia ** at the M/I Homes design studio here in DFW, TX. She was knowledgeable, stylish, easy to work with, and guided us through the process step-by-step! We definitely recommend Theresia ** at M/I Homes' design studio in Lewisville, TX. She made the process stress free and made sure we understood and LOVED each choice we made. We don't think you will find a better designer to work with to build your dream home!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

When visiting M/I Homes communities I find very helpful staff with a vast range of knowledge. The communities are well maintained and very inviting. Price per square foot is the best in town. Hands down the best builder in Houston.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I visited the sales office in Kildeer and fell in love with the ranch model. The salesperson walked us through the model and explained what we would get if we built a home. I also like that the lawn and snow are taken care of for you. The views with the trees behind some lots are beautiful. The salesperson was honest and thorough.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I do not recommend M/I Homes. The sales person was horrible and lied to our realtor about the amount of rentals...which, by the way, a majority are M/I Homes. We also gave the punch list to the sales person who said he would deliver it to the builder and everything would be fixed. Well, he either didn’t give the full list or not everything was fixed. We have crooked tiles in the kitchen and the tiles in the kitchen and dining room are not aligned with the tiles in the entryway. Our realtor also told the sales person that we needed French Drains due to all of the standing water. Well, 9.5 months later we still have standing water and we haven’t been running our sprinklers! This has caused us to struggle with mosquitos and our carpet is ruined due to the times it hadn’t rained in days and our dogs somehow got mud inside - that’s when we realized the severity of the drainage issues.

Our fence is also off the property line by 7 inches - the poles are supposed to be in the middle of the property line. The Director of Construction (I believe that is his title) said he would replace the fence and flip the panels. I looked like an idiot TWICE because the M/I guy didn’t relay the information to the fence company. It took MONTHS to get this resolved and still, technically, our fence is not on the fence line due to the fence company refusing to move the poles. I have pictures and videos of the drainage issues as well as the fence. The fence company flipped the panels but did a chop job and I had to submit another warranty request and fight to have the panels replaced (which is how I looked like an idiot in front of the fence guys twice).

A customer should NEVER feel like an idiot, especially in front of representatives of M/I and companies. We gave an honest review and were called by a representative who was angry that I questioned his integrity. Of course I did! I looked like an idiot TWICE due to him. He also said the areas of drainage issues would all be regraded but come to find out, only the back corner will be regraded. We shall see if that even happens. Our community is known for drainage issues and other builders install French drains with no fight. How do I know? Neighbors talk! Plenty of M/I homeowners are disappointed in M/I - and a house is a MAJOR purchase.

I am so extremely disappointed. There is a HUGE lack of communication from top leaders to those in their care which causes issues - the messenger and the customer wind up looking like idiots. We were warned by a friend from Ohio not to use M/I and I should have listened. I do not recommend them. The sad part is that we love our floor plan. The sales person will say ANYTHING to get you under contract and then you’re on your own. We bought a spec home but we have loved our builder and the warranty girl. It’s not their fault that their leadership doesn’t communicate. However, due to all of the issues we have had after closing, I do not recommend them. It has been a massive headache and I fought for several months and now I’m tired! I guess that’s their tactic - wear you down and you’ll shut up! Don’t buy or build with M/I unless you have plenty of time on your hands and the patience of a saint to be on their backs 24/7 to get things fixed properly.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I'm writing this in hopes that I can save someone else from making the same mistake that we did. First, do not buy a house that is "pre-planned" or specced out by this developer. They have only done this because there is something undesirable about the lot. The defect may not be obvious when you look at the ungraded lot, but there is something that makes it undesirable.

Second, and this probably goes without saying, hire an agent and lawyer before even stepping foot in one of their communities. This developer knows how to play you. They will lie through omission and deceive you to try and make a sale. I know, real shocker right? The developer is not transparent and they do not have your best intentions in mind throughout the process.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

M/I uses cheap materials and shoddy labor to build what could be a nice home. Our HVAC is underpowered, and the ductwork was put in wrong. They started to have it fixed, then decided halfway through that they were not going to complete the job. Now I have taped up holes in the ductwork that I will have to pay another company to do the job correctly. They used a cracked PVC pipe for the sump pump. It runs between floors. It leaked and my downstairs bedroom ceiling had to be replaced. They forgot to put a linen closet in when the house was built. They left our home uncovered during the summer rains while it was under construction, and the mold was horrendous. We had leaks on all 3 floors for days until we threatened to walk out of the contract. They supposedly got rid of the mold and offered us a 30 year mold warranty. The subfloor now moves because the screw don't hold it down anymore.

I am just one of 80 plus villa owners in our community, and most of us have issues like this. Some of my neighbors have water in their basement that M/I has not been able to figure out. Our plans called for a 2 car garage and a driveway that holds 2 cars. We have 2 mid size cars, and I have yet to fit both cars in the garage. The ONLY way to fit two cars in the garage is to store nothing on the sides of the garage, so you can get out of the car. To park tow cars in the driveway, I have to park on both edges of the driveway. When I step out of the car, I'm stepping in the yard. My home is only 2 years old. I will be replacing the HVAC system with one that will heat and cool my home. M/I could have worked with me, but they fought me all along. I feel that I was lucky to get any service done. They have good floor plans, and that is what drew us to them. But at over a half a million dollars for a townhouse, I would expect better workmanship, materials, and customer service.

Don't get suckered into what looks to be a great looking package, You could end up a sucker like many in our Walden Woods of Laurel neighborhood have. I almost forgot to mention the By-Laws and Covenants. Ask for them and read them over well. Ours do NOT fit our community. They were copied from another community, but we are stuck with them for now. They are the rules, and you are required to live by them. Because you may not know your new neighbors yet, you could get someone on the board that would love to exploit those rules.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

It is normally not part of me to write reviews, especially if issues comes up that is understood as part of human limitations. I am putting this out from another perspective altogether since there will be issues because we are not living in a perfect world. My problem with MI Homes is accountability in responding to core issues. MI homes seems to have mastered the act of deferred response in hope of being let off the hook when signed contract liability is closed and transferred to homeowners or the one year maintenance contract is over. However, I was surrounded by good and wonderful neighbors in a community built by MI homes.

It seems to me MI homes have baked into their agreement and documentation to game unsuspecting buyers in case something happens to protect themselves. My issues with MI home are twofold. We escaped the third one but the incident gave us a clue of the nature of company and its subsidiary. Keep in mind that we closed May 13th 2020. Please use that as reference point how MI homes responds to issues discussed below.

1. During upgrade selection of our new homes around later 2019 and early 2020, we had requested to opt for double wall oven (a gourmet kitchen option) on only one condition. The condition is that the double oven is going to be “gas powered” instead of “electric”. I made a note, sent out an email for clarifications and every time, the answer was. It’s going to be “gas”. The rationale behind our choice of gas over electric is because of the overall cost of operating a gas vs electric over a long period of time. We would save 65-75% on utility bill with a gas vs electric in a year.

2. Secondly, we were told that our sod was going to be laid before closing if weather is good. Fortunately, weather was good. We had the largest lot in the subdivision with about 0.40 acres. We never knew we were getting setup/prep-up for eventual cost cutting cost on MI homes part once we closed on the property. With good weather, the sod was not laid before closing. It was laid 2-3 weeks after closing (after liability has been transferred).

Watch out for the pattern of resolving issue that got me to write this review.

Resolving issue No 1:

At orientation preceding closing, I called this issue out. I was told to send out an email and this issue will be resolved ASAP. There was no response, until after sending about third email reminder to at least have somebody respond (Note, we are few days:-about a day), someone called. I was told they thought I just wanted clarification. On closing day, we were almost not going to close on the closing when I notify my attorney about pending issue. The attorney suggested we will end up not having a place to stay since we already sign off with our former house. We got our first shocker when MI Homes representative said that since we have closed, there is nothing they can do. He however promised to get back to us ASAP on what options are available if he will be able to come up with any remediation in one way or another.

We never heard anything until after 3 to 4 weeks after sending out reminders. He even said upper management said there was nothing they could do (Please flip this if it’s something that was the fault of customer). Meanwhile, I had sent out an email way ahead of closing date under the suggestion of the MI representative during house orientation with us. This issue started before May 13th, 2020 and it’s still ongoing (08/15/2020). I can forward this email to those who maybe want to verify this claim

Resolving issue 2:

Because MI home deferred to lay the sod before closing, we were whacked with a lot of money keeping the sod wet. The city had to call us if there was any leak with the volume of water being used. My neighbors out of concern came along and said something like, “I hope MI Home did not put the burden of initial cost and maintenance on your Sod seeing me heavily working the lawn”. To add to this problem, a fraction of the lawn was “very very very” good because of the quality of the sod used for that section. Majority were struggling while some parts were dead on arrival! The MI home representative came and saw things after request and wondered why the sharp difference?

Again please check out the pattern of delay I called out now in MI homes response and delay tactics. We met MI representative July 7th, on July 17th after many many follow up text, I was told somebody was going to come again but nobody showed up until July 27th. The plan was to mow, aerate and feed application after which sprinkler. They were supposed to come back 10 days later. We did not see anybody again till today (08/15/2020) after July 27 2020; sprinkler was not setup as promised, no follow up after 10 days. I can anticipate another pattern; when falls comes around, I may hear another twist to the story that we do not lay sods during cold session. How are they going to make sure that the issue brought was resolved and the yards issue is properly maintained and resolved?

Now back to issue 1, one of the remediation plans was to get some funds in some form to help remove the burden of cost of running double electric cost over time into maintaining our yards (which was a separate issue). Even at that, the representative did not put anything plan/cost remediation on paper or email. He went on vacation, planned to be back and get back to us. Till date, I have not even heard any call or email. This representative kept assuring me that my assessment of how they respond to issue and my conclusion about their delayed tactics is not true and does not represent MI homes as a company. However, the facts and patterns tell another story. I am completely tired of chasing an organization down with calls and email when all that I am getting is one excuse after another. I do not know what else to do at this time and it will be a miracle to get things done before this month ends.

Lastly, MI homes have some very good representatives but it’s like the management is bottled up with cutting corners and making sure issues are not getting resolved. I do not know if it’s the representative that is presenting real customers issues as non-issues or the management that is responding to issues as non-essential service. Whatever, the case, there is communication gap between who is reporting issues and how it’s been handled based on directives from the management. MI Homes need to remove this stigma of dodging legitimate issues and earn the respect of customers. Adverts on YouTube and journals portray something good but the realities tell another story entirely. Once they get you sucked in, close your home, you are going to see another side of MI Homes not known to the public.

I will give one star because I got my basement leak fix and cabinet that broke apart after about 3 months that we moved into our home was resolved. Here is my story and hope this help someone and it brought some resolve in the heart of MI Homes to be completely take on accountability and customer service satisfaction as the very core of who they are!!!! Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

MI Homes does not stand behind what they say or write. We’ve had warranty issues stay open for two years now. Too many things to even list. They refuse to stand behind their word. This company is the absolute worst to deal with. Stay away.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

We began the process in searching for a home in May 2019. When we spoke with the sales representative Steven we advised that we were interested in purchasing the model home. We liked the floor plan and the upgrades already in the home. He advised that there was a waitlist for the home and he placed our names on it. Near the beginning of the Fall season he called us and told us it was available. We took another look and discussed pricing. We let him know that it was not what we wanted to spend. He later reached out and let us know that he had the exact same house aside from 3 differences (bay window in master instead of fireplace in living room, no built-in desk upstairs, etc.) So we took a look.

We liked the home but again not the price. He continued to reach out and finally we agreed on a price (or so we thought). He promised additional discounts after said price due to employment industry etc. He lied (imagine that) and it was all down hill from there. The home was incomplete when we closed on the home. They lied saying that while we were closing certain items were still being installed that weren't, the fence was horribly built with what looked like scraps from another fence. It was uneven and it looked weathered and ready to break down. The door to the office was not completed and we were told that due to the timeframe (end of the year December winter months) getting the appropriate door frame was difficult but it would be done.

We were constantly pushed and contacted to set a closing date prior to the end of the year yet our home was nowhere near completion to meet the specified requests. We had already given a move out date on our previous home and were pressed for time to get the home built and completed. Steven lied and made empty promises every step of the way. When we would address the issue he was non transparent and would disregard our concerns and threaten to increase the price if we did not close before the end of the month/year. Reluctantly and with more empty promises we closed on December 27th 2019 and to this day we still don't have proper working office doors and they refuse to install the correct frame. They want to adjust the current frame which is cracked and broken.

I didn't buy a new home to have it built with used materials. This homebuying experience has been the worst and our home is not what was promised. The company has gone through 3 different contractors or building managers and have delayed repairs and completing the home up to par. They continue to disregard requests and are now trying to push back request to put us outside our one year warranty. The home is poorly built to say the least and amenities that were promised were not put in. We were supposed to have a community pool, a playground and center and instead they build more houses in the specified location.

They lack customer service skills and at times are combative telling us we aren't getting what we paid for. We are going to have to settle for what they decide to give us. I hate my home to say the least. It looks cheap and the poor quality workmanship and materials is evident. It isn't even worth 1/3 of the purchase price. This company is dishonest and lacks integrity. We have considered legal action along with others in the community who are facing the same issues. We all have a long list of features that were never installed in our homes that were supposedly standard.

Original review: July 28, 2020

We paid $500k for our home and within a month of moving in realized the roof was leaking (this was a brand new spec home). It took three months to get them to pretend to repair the roof (we still don't believe it is fixed because it leaked in swirling rain and it has leaked again since) but their customer service (when they respond, because they might in three or four weeks, or they might ignore everything you submit) person, when she does call, yells at you the customer and tries to tell you that you do not have a problem. We will NEVER buy another home from MI and will tell everyone NOT TO PURCHASE from them.

They love you till you move in, then they try to ignore you. BTW...It took three months to get the repair done. Our front bedroom (office) had the ceiling ripped out with insulation dug from the front bedroom all the way down our driveway for a week and only got addressed when we went to the VP in this area, who also did not want to be bothered with us. We are beyond upset and are prepared to call an attorney as soon as rainy season starts and the roof starts leaking again.

M/I Homes Company Information