2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.50/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Lindal Cedar Homes Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Made contact with the local Lindal designer in Seattle to talk very ballpark numbers regarding our new home. This was to start planning our financing and what our budget for land would be. She said she wouldn't talk pricing until we had a piece of land she could look at. Understanding that costs can vary based on environmental conditions, I get it. But I was just looking for a range so we could plan accordingly. So months go by and we find a couple of properties we're interested in (flying blind, since we don’t really know what we should be budgeting) and contact the designer but get no response. Then I call, no response. I call again, no response. We got tired of waiting so we did our due diligence and pulled the trigger on a property anyway.

After we closed, I contacted the designer AGAIN and leave a message telling her that we are now property owners and are ready to move forward. I get an email back the next day asking about the plans I might be interested in. I explain that we are looking at something small, likely one of their non-customizable "quick-ship" homes because we likely went over budget on the land. Again, no response. I followed up with a call/voicemail and still, no response. All in all, from first contact to last was nearly 8 months with no follow up. They claim they have homes for any budget, but they clearly only want to work with people who have very deep pockets and will pay for all of their "design services", IF you can get them to call you back, that is. We found another builder who wants our money and returns our calls.

Original review: April 27, 2019

We worked with Lindal architect dealer. Their program is not as advertised. They put together a plan that is poorly detailed, then deliver a package of lumber and materials, with much missing and much borderline - minimum spec material. Siding split and warped. Very thin. Much framing material missing and wrong sized. Nothing precut. Their recommended contractor built foundation at wrong level and off-square walls (by 6 inches per side). The company overcharges for all the material, and did not stand by any of their inferior materials. Stay away from this outfit.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I see some negative reviews for Lindal Cedar Homes but I bought a used one several years back and I love it! No matter what the weather, wind and season it's a joy to come home to. We have never had any structural issues. I think other reviews must be personality conflicts and building a house is truly stressful but at the end of every day I am thrilled with the light and the views. Nothing beats watching the moon-rise from the sofa, turning off the lights and watching meteor showers and airplanes, watching the moon or sun shadows through all the crazy windows, surrounding myself in wall to wall fall color and enjoying 3 feet of snow in my pajamas. No cabin fever here. I wouldn't trade this for anything! Now if I win the lottery my only plan to add on!

Original review: June 21, 2018

My home ended up being slightly less expensive than some of the stick-builders were offering in my local area. I live in Raleigh, NC and wanted a home in Aspen on land I had purchased in the early 2000's. This wasn't a problem for my Lindal Dealer! Dave was one of the nicest company representatives I have ever worked with and he truly gave me my dream second home. I was even able to get the sunken living room I had wanted. So happy! I'm heading out there again next week to stay for a month. Dave at Lindal made my second home dream come true.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My experience was back in 1989. I gave the sales Representative $5,000. Cash. It has been so long ago that I had asked for a refund. And I never to this day received my refund or no materials. This company, Lindal Cedar Homes is a rip-off company. I would advise anyone to never consider doing any business with Lindal Cedar Homes. The Representative was a con artist to the max. I believe that this company needs to be put out of business. Actually I am so surprised that they are still in business. Very Dissatisfied Customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lindal Cedar Homes?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

We had dreamed of building a Lindal Home for decades, and our time finally arrived. We were fortunate to have the help of the experienced and professional Dealers in Montrose, CO. Both are Civil Engineers and the design process was very organized and fun. Best of all the materials provided were very high quality. The warmth of the western red cedar trim and the exposed beams is noticed every time we enter the house. We love it, we love coming home. Our builder was excellent and advised Lindal 'made it easy,' with the detailed plans and itemized materials. Our experience was great. We'd highly recommend building a home with both Lindal and the Dealers in Montrose, CO.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2014

We were rookie builders but both are attorneys. We were wary of the Lindal Rep and used our own common sense. The rep gave us Lindal builders BUT told us to keep an EYE on our materials.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

Reading all these reviews filled with problems, I have to assume the Lindal has drastically changed since we built our chalet style home in 1994-95. I don't recall any of the problems discussed so thoroughly in these reviews. However, one important aspect of cedar homes isn't mentioned by Lindal. We tend to think that our beautiful cedar siding will last forever, always looking beautiful.

But cedar has to be repeatedly stained, it tends to wear unevenly, and eventually it turns very dark. Areas where rain water has dripped will be dark and stained. Then those of us with older cedar homes are faced with the question: Is it time to paint over our cedar clapboard? The answer will probably be "Yes," especially since after 20 years we are in the older age group and maintaining stained cedar is either too much trouble for us or too expensive to have the work done by someone else.

So now I'm the proud (?) owner of a painted Lindal Cedar Chalet. But the house and windows have worn well. Only one window clouded up within the 10-year warranty period, and was replaced by Lindal. A large window in a store door failed after 17 years with water leaking between the glass panes.. I'm living with it. I've read that all double or triple paned windows will ultimately fail, so I can be grateful that my large prow windows are still all "good." At least they were good before the recent power washing prior to the paint job. The rainy season is yet to come here in California.

Oh, one more problem for California residents. The oil stain we originally put on our cedar is now illegal, and often no longer manufactured. This is the main reason to transition from oil based stain to latex paint. Here is a video of the process: **. But I still think it's best to keep the original unpainted cedar if the homeowner can maintain it with cleanings and repeated stain jobs. We weren't able to do that.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2014

My husband & I purchased a Lindal Cedar Home package. We thought we were getting a fantastic deal at the time. We ran into two major difficulties: Early delivery of home package & less-than-qualified builder. I will address the builder: Our contractor was recommended by the local Lindal dealer. We found out after we had signed the papers and made our payment for the Lindal package that the contractor, due to financial problems, did not own his own equipment, he did not have a crew, and he had no credit. Space does not allow me to relate how many problems we ran into. I will generally say that expensive mistakes were made & a lot of the quality of construction was below average. The bottom line is do not depend on the Lindal dealer to recommend your builder.

Early delivery: Although we asked the Lindal dealer to delay delivery of the home package because our contractor was not getting the site prepared in a timely manner, he insisted on getting it shipped. The result was that material sat on the construction site for months before they were needed. We ended up with damaged material. So, if you decide to go with a Lindal home, no matter what you are told, you need covered space for your product away from the main construction site. Otherwise, even though it is covered, it will get abused. Cedar is a soft wood that does not hold up well to repeated moving, especially when done without much regard for the product.

We are living in our home now. Whether it is due to poor workmanship or the product itself, I have noted that the house emits loud pops when the temperature changes. If I had it to do over again, I would be careful about who I contract with to build a house & I would definitely not go with Lindal. In the end what looks like a good deal isn't so good after all. Check references, ask around about the product.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2013

23 years ago I designed, ordered and built my Lindal dream home. I was 47 years old at the time, and was going to live in my beautiful home with my wife the rest of our lives. With my Lindal order I specified their Low -E, Argon gas filled premium windows 45 of them. About 8 years ago, my windows started failing. Fogging up so bad I couldn't see out. I had an initial 10 year warranty on the house and I thought the house & windows would last longer than 15 years. Maybe 25 to 40 years. But I guess I was Wrong. When I called Lindal 7 years ago, they told me to expect the rest of the windows to fail, and sent me new quarter rounds at no charge to place around the new window glass that I would be replacing (Very generous of them).

So far I have replaced 6 windows that I couldn't see out of for about $2,000. that averages about $333. per window. 39 to go about $13,000. more. I'm 70 years old now and Live on a fixed income. I replace the windows not as they fail. (They have all failed.) But when I can't see out of them any more. I have cleaned and stained the house 5 times, repairing rotted Deck boards, and replacing the windows myself. Bottom line is if you don't want to work on your house the rest of your life, Don't Buy A Lindal Cedar Home. If you do buy a Lindal home, don't let them talk you into their junk windows. It's winter now and I can see the frost between the glass growing.

Lindal Cedar Homes Company Information