4.5/5 (549 ratings)

About Clayton Homes

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Pros

• Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes

Cons

• Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Bottom Line

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: June 3, 2022

I wanted 2x6 wall construction and the one that my wife liked was a model that was made in Alabama so we ordered it. The quality of workmanship on the home is lacking at best. We've had to have people out several times to try to remedy stuff. If I had to do it again, I would not buy that one that was built in Alabama. This is the third one we purchased. We purchased another one, which is a single wide one. I lived there for a short time because it was temporary and it gave us someplace to live rather than rent. I didn't find the problems with that one that I'm having with ours. My son-in-law purchased a double-wide one and it's a mobile home. That's fine too.

The home we have now has a farmhouse sink that extends over the edge of the Formica countertop on both sides of it. They tried to seal it but there's no way you can seal that type of a thing. We've been in the home since October and I’ve had them out and look at it. The last guy from Clayton took a picture. He said it was the factory rep that has to come out because they're gonna have to replace it with something. Under the Formica is particle board and when that gets wet, it expands. There's no way you can stop that. We gotta wait for the people from Alabama to give us another shipment so they can send the parts over. That's been going on twice now. Also, my wife turned the fan on over the oven yesterday over the range and it's chattering.

Other than that, customer service has been good. The salesman, Tim, did a great job. When we left for Arizona, I took out my savings and all the money from the house. We purchased a 72-acre tract of land here. A prominent nun is looking to move to the area so we donated her the single wide home we had and 10 acres. but they needed more rooms so I sent her down to Tim. She purchased two more double wides from him last week. We've bought five so far.

Clayton Homes response

Peter, we appreciate you taking the time to reach out and share your experience with us. We are confident in the team at the retail location completing the sink once the parts arrive. Thank you for your patience.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Everybody was friendly. Everybody tried to help out, did what they needed to do.I like the home. But Clayton Homes hasn't come back and finished everything that we needed repaired when they moved in and we did the first walkthrough. They have not finished all of the repairs that they were supposed to finish. They're supposed to come back in a year. And my wife said they're not leaving when they come back in a year without fixing everything. There's a rip on the floor that hadn't been fixed. The trim on the windows is messed up. It's a lot. They have been out there 10 times. They do one, they do a little piece. They do a little piece, they would come back a week later. I'm tired of it. My price is way too much for what I paid for the quality I got.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Weldon, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We take pride in providing a world-class customer experience, and we have reached out to the retail team you bought your home from. They will be contacting you regarding these issues.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I started buying the house in April, and I did not sign for my house until October I had put my land up for collateral for down payment. And there were issues with that. But it was drawn out a bit longer than what it needed to be. After I got my home, they were still doing repairs on it. I got it October the 27th and they're still working on it. But now, I haven't seen anybody in a while. I had a crack in my ceiling. They had to redo my whole countertop. I've had seven panels replaced already.

I went back and forth. Some of it was due to the land. But a lot of it was the home manufacturing, which they are trying to work on it, trying to get things done. I told Clayton Homes that if my land wouldn't have been tied up with this, they would have come picked up the trailer. The ceiling is still not fixed. When I reported the ceiling, one of the ladies that I spoke to said, “Oh, well, just wait right before your time is up and then just report all of it.” Then I said, “No, I want it fixed now.” And when I talked to another person, they said, “Oh, no. You can't wait on that.”

We were very disappointed because one of our things in our agreement was, I wanted to be allowed to put a front porch on within my financing. And when it was all said and done, I've got a 6x6 on the back porch, which cost me $900. So I'm still not happy about. And that was the last thing that we discussed. It was, “Oh, yeah. You'll get a porch.” They also had to come back out and redo my sewer. The air conditioners people have been out once. I came home and my tanks were ripped out of the ground. They just said that whoever they contracted didn't do them. And they had to come back out, re-dig and reset them. It has been a headache. They fixed my screen door. And when they put the spring part, the top of it, they put it in the wrong spot. So they pulled it back out and re-put it in another spot. Still my door doesn't close, which they got pictures. But it has not been a very good experience. It's one thing after another. It has been a fun ordeal.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Sheila, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate your feedback as it will help us to better our processes.

Original review: June 1, 2022

Clayton Homes and the crew out there in Hinesville did a great job with everything. I'm happy to the max. Pam was our salesperson and her team there went above and beyond the call of their normal of taking care of customers. We fell in love with the home that Pam showed us. It was small and quaint. It was what my wife and I wanted to spend the rest of our life in.

My wife was pretty sick and we were in the hospital. The house was set, and they were just needing a well. I was so worried about my wife and I didn't have the money. But Pam, on her own terms and not as a Clayton representative, paid to have my power turned on. Pam and Stef also came out and cleaned the house, but they didn't have to. I don't care if I move to another location, I will always find a Clayton Homes facility and I will buy from there. I would rather buy a modular Clayton home than buy any other home in the world.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Robert! We can't thank you enough for choosing Clayton Homes!

Original review: May 31, 2022

Dealing with the staff at the Clanton office was great. The buying process was great. The home is well-built. It’s well-insulated. It hasn’t been an outrageous price to heat and cool it. All the appliances are great. Everything works. But I’m still having a little issue getting some work done. I’ve got some tears in my linoleum that I can’t seem to get taken care of. The thing that I'm having a problem with now is having Clayton and the factory getting their ducks in a row to get somebody out to repair the stuff that needs to be repaired before my first year is up. So that is gonna be all falling in my lap and if that’s the case, they just better come get the trailer.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Christopher, thank you for taking the time to reach out and share your experience. We truly appreciate your feedback, and the team will be reaching out to you regarding your needed repairs.

Original review: May 31, 2022

We paid cash, so it was pretty quick process. The reps were real friendly and knowledgeable. They tell you anything you need to know about it, so that was a plus. But the house has some quirks. The counters weren't exactly put in there right. So they did come back and fix all the little minor things and it's all good. They took care of the issues pretty quickly.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback, Robert! We are so happy you had a wonderful experience with the team.

Original review: May 30, 2022

The home buying process was simple. The pandemic held us up on getting the home delivered. But the process didn't take very long. I worked with Craig and he was a nice guy. We moved in in November and Clayton is still working on some stuff of it right now. The master shower floor was cracked and it's been that way since day one. I wish that Clayton would come out and fix my shower. They said the manufacturer would have to come out and do that. I made contact several times, but I've never received any date on this shower and stuff being fixed. Now they're coming out on the 9th to replace some siding and fix more cracks in the drywall. But it's been two months since the last time they were here. I know Clayton Homes is not responsible for the blocking. But I'm not really satisfied with cinder blocks.

Clayton needs to make templates to mount the TV over the fireplace. I've had to google and call the manufacturer in Georgia to figure out how to do it properly. All they got is the connections there. But for stud location, they could put a template on the wall and have it stickered in the stud location where the bolts go and that would make it easier. Michael from Georgia walked down the floor where they were building another home, took pictures of a studded wall that hadn't been drywalled yet and emailed them to me. He went above and beyond. He sent me pictures of where it should go and what was behind the drywall because we bought three stud finders. The way it was built, a stud finder can't read it because it's built heavy-duty.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Ronnie. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns, and we will share with our home building facilities in order to better our building processes and ideas.

Original review: May 30, 2022

Melanie was awesome. She had all the answers. She was very helpful. She was always in contact with us.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy that Melanie was so helpful to you!

Original review: May 29, 2022

We love our home. The process of purchasing it was good and I had a real good experience with the rep.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you Tenia! We appreciate you!

Original review: May 29, 2022

The consultant was great. He stayed in contact with me and kept me updated on the process and pricing. It was wonderful. The whole process was smooth and transparent, the way I wanted it to be. Overall, it was a really good experience. I love the home. It's exactly what I need for me and my daughter.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you Martin! We appreciate your review!

Original review: May 28, 2022

The rep who helped me out was professional and she did her job. My experience with Clayton was wonderful and I love my new home.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Arthur!

Original review: May 28, 2022

We had told Scott what we were looking for. We wanted a four-bedroom and we wanted floating Sheetrock throughout the whole house, and that was the first one he took us to and we loved the layout of it. We love everything about it. We went and looked at every other mobile home in Pearl from every other company. We kept comparing it to that first one. We just decided to come back to Clayton Homes. Everybody that we dealt with over there was really great. If we find anything that's wrong, Scott's been on the spot to come on out and fix it and get it straight.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you, Chris! We are so excited for you and your family. Thank you for purchasing from Clayton Homes!

Original review: May 27, 2022

They showed us a couple of homes that were in our price range and we picked the one that we're in now. I like the home but some things in it are cheap, like the cabinets. The trim around the doors and in the house keep coming loose. They have to come out and fix it. It was put together cheap. Even underneath the floor, it has the linoleum floor in it. You can step in certain places and see where they didn't nail all the way down underneath it so when you step on it, you can tell that that's the nail. It should have been nailed down better before they put the linoleum over it. Whenever you gotta plug something in, you gotta unplug it and the whole plug comes out. That's a manufacturing issue and we've told Clayton Homes all of these as well.

This home is much bigger than our old house. There's a lot more room and it's not cluttered. The water pressure is phenomenal. We have heating and air unit now, where before, we had portable heaters and AC units. So I do love that. But I wanted double sinks in my master bathroom. There's plenty of room in there but there's only one sink. Overall, Clayton Homes have been phenomenal. Any time we call and say we have a problem, they get someone right out here to take care of it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for your feedback, Angie! We're so happy for you and your family to enjoy this new home!

Original review: May 27, 2022

My experience with Clayton Homes has been really good. The rep had promised us that we’d get the house on a Friday in November, and we were closed on our house on Tuesday. The lot was ready, but because of the weather, they couldn't move the trailer that day. On that Monday, I called the rep and said, “Look, I know, I understand what happened. But we're moving out of our house. I’ve got to have it. The people are loading up my furniture right now. And I've got to have this house.” He got it all done over the weekend, and we had everything moved here on time. So, I appreciated that. For a moment, we kinda got misdirected at a time or two on the salesman we started out with. He promised us one thing, and then he left. But everything went pretty well. The only thing is I've got dimples on the floor where the piece of furniture sat and this was not supposed to happen when you got a solid wood floor.

Clayton Homes response

Michael, we appreciate you taking the time to share your honest feedback. Clayton Homes strives to provide a world-class experience, and we're pleased to know that any obstacles were resolved.

Original review: May 26, 2022

We chose a Clayton home for the size as we were downsizing. We also considered the property, the way the home looked, and how the home appeared to be efficient and put together well for what we were looking for. Working with Clayton was fantastic and I love pretty much everything about our home. There are a few minor issues, but the warranty person has been right on top of most of it. Clayton has been very responsive. The warranty was a plus too.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you, Herbert, for your feedback regarding your purchase with Clayton Homes.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Clayton has one of the most popular manufactured homes in my area. I knew what I was looking for, and I went to a home center and was able to find what I wanted. Since it was my first home buying experience, it was a little challenging, but there was nothing out of the norm. Once we got everything on and running and rolling, everything was great. Working with Clayton allowed me to be a first-time homebuyer, and that’s huge.

Clayton Homes response

We're so pleased to hear about your experience purchasing your home from Clayton, Anitra!

Original review: May 25, 2022

Clayton is a reputable company and customer service was great. I liked the price I got from them and I'm liking the home as well. I've had a little problem but they've been Johnny-on-the-spot. They come out and fix what's wrong. I recommend Clayton to anybody.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you very much, Dennis! We appreciate your honest feedback!

Original review: May 25, 2022

The process with Clayton Homes was better. They're reliable and honest. I would recommend the company. I've recommended a couple of people to them.

Clayton Homes response

Robert, we appreciate you taking the time to share how delighted you've been to work with Clayton Homes!

Original review: May 24, 2022

The home buying process was easy and we love our home. I recommend Clayton Homes. They have good people and a good product.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, Richard!

Original review: May 24, 2022

The process was pretty fast. I’m pretty satisfied with them.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing, Melvin!

Original review: May 23, 2022

Clayton seemed to have what we needed so we went there and they were great. The only thing is I'm not real happy about a whole bunch of stuff that happened and the way that they had everything done because I don't have all the equipment to do what they want me to do. I have to take pictures of everything that I want to have fixed then I have to email those to them. Hopefully, within two weeks, they might be out to take care of them. That way, they would know what they're looking for. One issue I have is my front door has got a big gap in it that you can see straight outside when you're standing inside. That's been an issue since we moved in.

For such issues, I was told to call the warranty department and deal with them. I've taken pictures of everything. Now, I have to figure out how to get them to Clayton because I can't get them to transfer over to my computer and they're on my phone. The file is so large. Every time I try to send the pictures, they won't send. I have to send two or three pictures and then another two or three.

On the whole, my experience with Clayton as far as the sales part went was great. But after the sale, nobody wanted to take a step up and do anything. It was already noted at the time of purchase that the countertop was all bubbled and coming up. They took care of that. We got a big old giant crack and they noticed that so they fixed that. But anything after that I was told, “You need to make sure that you send us pictures. And it has to be emailed or we don't have the time of day for you.” That doesn't say a whole lot about customer services after the sale so I’m not happy about that.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to share about your buying experience, Lois. Clayton Homes strives to provide a world-class customer experience, and we apologize for your frustrations with getting repairs completed. Our homes carry a one-year manufacturer's warranty to address any issues related to setup. We are confident that the team will finalize any concerns with you. If you would like further assistance, please reach out to our corporate Customer Advocacy Team.

Original review: May 23, 2022

They helped me out whenever I got there. They pretty much picked exactly what I needed and helped me all the way to the end. They have a great team at Clayton Homes. I got the newer design model. It was the square footage that I needed and I like the vents in the ceiling. A lot of the models have the floor vents but I liked it in the ceiling. I also liked the textured walls. The more that it was changed over to be more like a regular home instead of a modular home.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you, Jonathan! Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: May 22, 2022

We did a mobile home with Clayton and the whole process took months, but it was still quicker than having one built. I only wish that there was a little more communication with certain things. They didn't include my furniture when it was supposed to be included so we had to wait another month to get our furniture in. There are also a few little things that needed to be fixed when we got here but Clayton tried to come in and fix most of them. Some of the doors could come loose and that could have been part of when they moved the home here. The sink’s kinda leaky but that might have been something we did to it. Overall, I'm happy with the house.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for your review Kathryn! We are glad to hear that you are pleased with your home.

Original review: May 22, 2022

The reps were really good. I liked them. The lady that I dealt with was so sweet and helpful. I like the build of the home. The only thing is that the trim seems to come off pretty easy. But other than that, it's really good. I love the house. I've had so many compliments on the house. I'm really happy with it.

Clayton Homes response

We are so glad to hear how happy you are with your home, Misti! Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: May 21, 2022

I was trying to get a house in a reasonable timeframe. I called Clayton and spoke with Alexis. She told me that they have the home in stock that I was looking at. I had some bad experiences at some other places. Alexis told me to go there so I went down immediately. The process with the office was horrible. They charged me $10,000 to remove trees and do grading then they ended up not doing any of it. I paid someone an additional $5,000 out of my pocket to have them do the job instead. Clayton actually sold the home that I went down there for and put the deposit on. When I got there, they tried to make some excuses and said, "It's down the lot for a year. So we don't know if we want to sell it. But we have another one coming in on December 22nd and we'll give it to you at the same price." But they didn't. It started off with a bad sales associate. Unfortunately, it was like her first day on the job and she knew absolutely nothing.

There was an issue with my whole ceiling in most of the house. There was a bunch of money that was supposed to be paid back to me. I got back almost 6,000 and they still owe me another 4,000. They made me sign something that I wouldn't sue them. But the fact of the matter is my wife is also an owner of the house. She's unhappy and I just want back what was rightfully owed to me.

Other than that, the home has been great and we love it. We're very happy with it. We had a couple of issues like roof leaks and the contractors came out. They were great people to work with and deal with. They helped smooth out a lot of things over that went bad with the Clayton office that screwed me out a lot of money. The contractors tried to do everything they could and they were the ones that did the closing.

They were supposed to have the closing in the house and they were supposed to bring paperwork. But then I was told to go to the Clayton office for the closing and that I was not getting anything back. It ended up being a little bit of an argument in the office with the manager. We all walked out. She printed everything and gave me all the forms in the parking lot. It was a really bad experience. The third party representative on the other hand was really nice. On the whole, the people that came and did all the construction work, the closing, and did the stuff that's not even their job, were so great.

Clayton Homes response

Charles, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Our customer advocacy team corresponded with you back in February of this year (2022) and clarified any concerns regarding and un-used funds. We appreciate you sharing your experience.

Original review: May 21, 2022

Clayton at Pelham was very fast. They made the process as easy as they possibly could. They were very good. We were approved within a day or two. As far as getting a mobile home moved, it took about four weeks, which was very fast. We got a home that we love, and it was very low maintenance for us. It was very low stress level. It was very good.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for sharing, Tiffany!

Original review: May 20, 2022

The home buying process with Clayton started great, especially during the time of the pandemic. The salesperson did an excellent job. We ordered a trailer and they were very nice and considerate. They called to see if we can get the trailer delivered earlier. My rep was Ricardo and he was very knowledgeable about his job. I was impressed by the knowledge that he had about selling trailers and dealing with the builders of the trailer. He knew the ins and outs. He told us about the little details that we were worried about and it worked out fine. That's very important. We now have a very nice home and we’re enjoying it. It’s very amazing. It’s built well and it sits well.

Clayton Homes response

We are so happy to hear about your great experience, Cleveland! Thank you so much for your feedback!

Original review: May 20, 2022

My application process was easy. Just a few pages that we had to fill out since we weren't applying for a loan. It was simple. And everybody there at the office was helpful. I appreciated everything Clayton Homes did. They got it to us as quick as they could. They put it together well. The team that put it together was very polite and helpful, and told me all about the mobile home once it was put together. I really enjoyed it. And it's a nice home. There are a couple of things my wife noticed. There's a chip in our guest bathroom's tub and a chip on one of our marble countertops. She said, "I know we didn't drop anything on the countertop. I don't know why it chipped." But it's really small. So when I fill it up, it will just fill up and we won't even notice it anymore.

Clayton Homes response

David, thank you so much for sharing your purchase experience with us! We are so happy that you chose Clayton Homes for your homebuying needs.

Original review: May 19, 2022

We were checking out homes after the fires here. We walked in and the saleslady with Clayton that we dealt with was pretty nice and straightforward. We settled for a home with an open layout. The only thing is the quality of it is not the greatest. It was built during the whole issue with COVID, shutdowns, and labor shortages. There are a lot of little details that were missed when they built this particular home. I know Clayton Palm Harbor and Fleetwood and all those come out of the same set of factories up there. My mom bought a Palm Harbor home that was a year old and it was of much higher quality in the basic construction than the one that I got. There are a lot of little issues on this. Clayton has been working with us on those issues. Overall, it all comes down to quality control in the factory. That's always the big thing.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for your feedback Chuck! We appreciate you allowing us to work with you to get any service items addressed.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Carrie Ann was nice and helpful. She did everything she could to help us. And any problem we had, Clayton Homes did what they have to do to eliminate the problem.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much for the kind words, George! We appreciate you so much!

Clayton Homes Company Information