2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

4.2/5 (520 ratings)

About Clayton Homes

Clayton Homes is a manufactured home builder that offers an array of home types, from traditional site-built homes to tiny homes. With a focus on green building practices and multiple customizable features available, Clayton Homes can help you achieve homeownership within your budget.

Pros

• Customization available
  • Choice of quality home brands
  • Energy-efficient homes

Cons

• Potential land restrictions
  • Complex modular home financing

Bottom Line

Clayton Homes offers a wide array of home types and prices to choose from along with energy-efficient features and options. The company works with multiple name-brand home equipment and appliance brands.

Clayton Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clayton Homes?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

We like the home a lot. We purchased it in the Phoenix area, but our house was two hours north of Phoenix. We loved the salespeople at Clayton Homes, the project managers and the people who helped out with the warranty issues. We know all of them very well because we had another Clayton home here in the Valley that we sold recently. We've had two Clayton homes at the same time, and there seems to be some kind of rivalry between the Chino Valley Clayton Homes office and the Mesa Clayton Homes office.

We purchased our first home from the Mesa Clayton Homes office. We went to our sales rep and had such a wonderful experience. We said, “We're buying some land in Chino Valley, and we would love to do another Clayton home with you.” They were very happy and really excited to get onboard with that. They suggested that we go to the Chino Valley Clayton Homes sales office and “Tell them that you're working with us in Mesa. Tell them that you just wanna see some model homes.” We went to the Chino Valley sales office to look at some models, and we told them, “Everybody from Mesa sent us here. We're working with them. They told us to come and see some models.”

The Chino Valley sales office got some of their contractors who just happened to be in there, and the sales rep, and they were trying to talk us out of working with Mesa. They wanted us to work with them directly, and they were bad mouthing the Mesa guys and saying, “You know, you don't wanna do that. And we know the area better, and they don't know what they're doing up here.” I don't know if that had anything to do with how our house looked when we first walked in, but I'm sure that the Mesa guys eventually had to say to the Chino Valley sales office, “Hey, do you have contractors in the area that we can use to put the house together?” ‘Cause I'm sure it wasn't the same people as Phoenix.

When we moved into the Chino Valley house, there was glue all over our countertop. We upgraded the countertops, and they weren't granite but Corian. We also had to use razor blades to try to scrape glue off the counters. They didn't even put fasteners on the shelving. When we went to put plates and glasses, the shelves just came crashing down. There were also a lot of things that weren't finished with caulking and grout. There were flooring issues and big scrapes in the laminate, and the flooring is scheduled to be replaced.

There were a lot of things that were vastly different from the experience that we had when we purchased our home in Phoenix. Whether it was doing the cabinetry or the countertops, it seems like that wasn't done very well. A lot of corners were cut, and a lot of things were missing, but the Clayton Mesa individuals stepped up to the plate and remedied everything. However, it would have been better if we went to the Chino office and not even told them that we were working with Mesa. If we would have just said, “Oh, we just wanna look and see some models,” it would have been a way more pleasant experience.

Resolution response: Aug. 26, 2021

It's good to know that Clayton has committed to a re-training session so that this problem doesn't become chronic.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

In general, the construction is good. But there is an area that needs more attention: the caulking of the exterior windows. My 1 year warranty expired around 10 days ago! Yesterday we had a major, BLOWING rainfall, and three of my windows leaked from the head (top) of the windows, and water dripped down onto the sill. I borrowed an extension ladder and removed the top trim on the exterior side of the windows and found no caulking was used at the window head other than the caulking at the top side of the window trim. And the bead of caulking used at the window head trim was not continuous, which explains the leaks. I can replace the caulking myself. But some homeowners cannot. WHY DIDN'T CLAYTON HOMES CAULK THE WINDOWS PROPERLY WHEN THEY WERE INSTALLED IN THE FACTORY? It doesn't take much more time to do it right the first time!!!

Clayton Homes response

Michael, thank you for reaching out in regard to your leaking window in your Anniversary model home. We appreciate your patience while we review the information that you provided. We reached out to our home building facility in Waco, Texas with your concerns of the windows not being properly caulked during the build of your home. They have acknowledged these concerns, send their apologies, and are planning to implement some training classes in the facility to ensure we are building a better product going forward. We would like mention it’s always a good idea to check your home sealant every year. In your Clayton Homeowner Manual on page 21, its recommended to check around roof & wall vents, windows and door frames, and other openings in the wall & roof at least annually. Remove any materials that are cracked, dry, or peeling away. Re-caulk or reseal with flexible, non-hardening caulks and sealants. You can also find many more helpful tips on pages 21-27 that will provide you with the necessary knowledge to maintain and get the most out of your Clayton Anniversary home.

Original review: July 10, 2021

The purchasing process at Clayton was simple. Everything was explained to us as we went along, step by step, very clear what was going on from one step to another. Any kind of paperwork or anything that they needed from us was simple. They made it very simple. The whole experience with them was so easy. I’d need things sometimes explained to me in layman's terms and they did exactly what I wanted them to do. I brought in a notebook with me every time I spoke to them. I wrote down everything. If I didn't understand it, they had no problem explaining it simpler to me. They were just really good people to work with.

When I met the rep, Morgan, she was very kind. I said to her, “Just go step by step with me because I'll get overwhelmed.” I'm a police dispatcher, and my days are just crazy. She told me exactly step by step what I needed to do. I told her, “Okay, what's the step after that?” That was the only time she gave it to me in advance, was when I said to her, “Okay, I got that.” She also hooked me up with everybody that I needed to be hooked up with like the bank. She went way over and beyond. She was just a great person to work with.

We bought land in July. Right before we bought the land, we went into Clayton and said, “How does this process work if we wanted to buy our own land and have a home put on it?” We told her what we were looking at. She told me I just have to go from there and to get a closing done on that, to get the property, get the closing done, and then get all the paperwork over to them. She just took it from there.

She went a little further. There was a well that was supposed to be on the property that we bought, but we never found it. And we didn't want a well. We wanted to get public water and there weren't any lines. It was never lived on. It was just completely open land. Nobody wanted to take responsibility for it, whether it be the city or the county. She went way over and beyond. She got in touch with the county, and said, “These people just bought this and they're gonna live on it. You're messing with our livelihood. Somebody has to take responsibility for this piece of land and put the pipes down.” They did it with no charge. They ate about $5,000. There was no charge because it was just such a process. They didn't understand who was gonna take it and who was gonna be responsible for it. She went to bat for us.

She gave us choices and options of what we wanted. When we went to look, she gave us an open court of what we wanted. She let us go through each one of them and didn't pressure us into anything. Just told us to take our time and think about what we wanted. If we had picked something that was out of our upbringing, she gave us options for something different. We told her what we had wanted and she stayed in that area.

They had a floor plan, and that was the most fun part out of it. Going in and picking out all the colors. It was great. It turned out exactly the way that I wanted it. When we were doing that, she said to me, “If there's something in here that clashes, we have professional people, and we'll just let you know that might not go together.“ But that never happened. Everything was just the way we wanted it to be.

It started in July and we were all moved in by the end of December. That was all it took and that was during COVID time. So, that was during the time that we didn't know if we were going to get our cabinets. We didn’t know if we were gonna get our appliances. Anything that came from Mexico, we didn't know if we were gonna get it on time. We didn't know how long it was gonna take and she kept on it. She made it work. We were in there a week before Christmas. She’s a top-notch woman. We couldn't thank her enough.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Emily, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so glad we were able to offer you a peace of mind throughout your purchase process. We appreciate you so much and are so glad that you chose Clayton Homes!

Original review: May 12, 2021

We looked at West Homes and the lady up there was really pushy. We had looked at Clayton in Rogersville and we had some price and it was a little bit over our budget, but I had heard really good things about them. We found the house that we wanted in Kingsport and we went back to Clayton in Rogersville and purchased it. We added some stuff to it like a fireplace and a sliding glass door. We wanted a family room. We liked the layout of this one.

Clayton in Rogersville has went way far and beyond to help us. They are excellent. They've always tried to work with us really well with anything that we wanted to change. Any problems we've ever had, they've always been right there and helped us. We had the construction loan. We both learned a lot in between the construction loan. They worked with the Eastman Credit Union. There was no communication about anything with the escrow place that they went through to do it. We didn't like that part. That did not have anything to do with Clayton. When we got our closing cost, it ended up to being 2,000 more than we thought because they got the surveyor and they didn't let us choose a surveyor. They didn't communicate with us to say, "This has went up. The surveyor is a lot more. Your closing cost is gonna be a lot more." When it happened, it was a surprise.

Neither one also didn't tell us that there will be a fee to do the conversion over what converted from the mortgage loan conversion from the construction loan to the mortgage loan. They didn't tell us that equating it was an $1,800 charge. We had put $1,000 down and they were like $800 short. Instead of making us pay that because it wasn't our fault, Clayton let that go.

I love Dylan. We still call each other. There are a few stuff that they're getting ready to do. What happened was, we have the decks build in. We didn't have the gate put on the back. So, I called him and I asked him how much would it cost for him to build me just the gate for the back like I got on the front. He said, "Oh, don't worry about it. We'll get that." So, he's having the guy that does the decks build us a gate. They're gonna kind of put it on.

I talked to Bobby this morning and he's waiting on the guys to bring the gate to come and do it all at once. One of my blinds broke and he ordered me another blind for my sliding glass door, and they're going to come and put that on. We had rocks put on our driveway that was in our construction loan and we didn't have enough to go all the way up our driveway. When I was gonna get this guy to do it and they told me they would get Chris to come out here and put me some more rocks, and they did. I loved that they surprised me and they did it for me. I would very highly recommend all of them. They've all been really good with us.

Clayton Homes response

Angela, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your Clayton Homes buying experience. We're happy to hear that the team you worked with was very proactive in resolving any issues.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I had visited a couple other places but they didn't have the selection like they did at the Clayton Homes in Dalton where we purchased ours from. We also considered finding the closest dealer and Clayton Homes had that. When we went up to the place there in Dalton, their rep, Chris, went over everything he could to answer any questions. We found a home that we really loved and it was one of the nice ones on the front of the lot. But with the bedrooms on the left side, the master was going to be mine and my husband's, but we needed more space on one side. So we added on an extra bedroom, then we combined two of those bedrooms and made a large master bedroom for my mother that was to live with us. Chris helped us with that.

Then, we paid our down payment so they would get started and it took them a while to make our home. It was on my birthday, in May, that it arrived to the store for us to go look at it. So the process started from the end of November all the way to May. But that was understandable with the COVID virus slowing everything down. Then for Christmas, they closed for two weeks, which we knew about beforehand. So the process took a little longer than we thought but our expectations may not have been realistic given today's circumstances with the virus.

So we went and looked at the home that they made in May, then it was June 1st that it was delivered on our property. After that, it was end September when we moved in and a lot of that was due to a lot of rain we were having, so it was hard to get things quickly. There were also a few times when I felt like the communication with Clayton's reps could have been better. But as a new person doing something like that, I was just a little insecure.

So far, we're very happy with the home and it feels like a solid one. We've been through one really bad storm, the effects of that last hurricane, and we were nervous because it was our first storm in it. Fortunately, the home's out in the field and the woods are backed off from us, so we didn't have to worry about trees falling on us. But we were nervous because the winds got pretty hard for Georgia. Still, we didn't feel like we needed to leave and go get somewhere safer. The home held up really good and there was no damage to it at all. The air conditioning and the heat seem to be really efficient, too. I'm happy with our electric bill. It went up a little this past month, but that's because it's been so cold. But the home seems to be very comfortable and a cozy place. It’s such a pretty home and it has the little built-in front porch on it with the stones on the column. We get a lot of compliments on it.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Robin. We are so glad that you were able to build your dream home!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

The floor plan is the biggest reason we got the model I chose. The square footage and available space for the value is another reason. It's also fully sheetrocked and it didn't have the cheap paneling like you normally see in a mobile home. That made it feel more like a house. It looks more sturdy and more up to date than the typical mobile homes I saw growing up.

COVID stuff definitely pushed things back. 90% of all of the frustrations were due to the pandemic. When my brother went with Clayton, his process went a lot breezier than mine. Other than that, Clayton did everything within their means on their part. I don’t try to hold them accountable for any of the little setbacks because I know there were a lot of people not working during that time and a lot of materials got set back. I have been referring another brother and he might be making a Clayton purchase as well.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your Clayton Homes purchase. We appreciate all the patience you had as we navigate through a unique time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Everything went fine and everything was followed up on. Weather hindered us a little bit and in the middle of corona, they were shorthanded, which hindered a little bit of timeframe stuff but it went as smooth as it could have. I wouldn't have a problem buying another one with Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us, William!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I was talking to a Clayton Homes representative by the name of John. He took the time to show me things, answered my questions and it was no pressure. Also, the man that comes out and does the maintenance gets a 5. If there are any questions, we can call him while we're still under the general purchase warranty. Overall, the quality of the home build is good.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for the kind words and feedback, Charles!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I like the space and the bedrooms and the flooring of the house. But the one thing I wanted to change was the bathroom. But Clayton said that the bathtub in our master bedroom wasn't changeable. It was real warm under a part of the house and I kept telling them there was something wrong. They said they would get somebody out here to look at it. But when they came out here, they said, “Oh, I don’t know what that is. I’ll get somebody.” It had been ongoing for seven months.

I was in the bathroom one day and I told my husband that the water heater should not be running and running and running like it does. So he went under the house and it was a leak. So a busted pipe had been leaking for seven months. He messaged Steve one night and said, “Hey, I found out what it is. I went under there, there’s water leaking everywhere.” Steve said he would get somebody out. The guy came out and replaced the pipe. He had to cut the insulation underneath and he said, “We’ll let it dry out a few days and we’ll be back next week to replace it.” But it’s been two months since then. I’ve already talked to corporate and they’ve been trying to stay on them. It’s been crazy. The whole floor is laminate flooring and you can tell it’s all messed up. It’s warped. It’s all gonna have to be replaced.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Lacy, thank you for reaching out and sharing this feedback with us. Clayton Homes strives to provide a world-class customer experience. Our retail team that you have been working with is currently aware of these concerns and working to schedule service for remaining items. We appreciate your patience as they communicate with you on these endeavors.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I liked their quality material. They did quality work. I had no trouble with Clayton. There are a few issues though. They're supposed to come and correct it. But they haven't done it yet.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Joseph, thank you for taking the time to share your purchase process experience with us! We strive to provide an excellent customer service to our homebuyers. Please contact the retail location you purchased from and they will be happy to assist in any needed repairs.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

My sales rep was really helpful and was always answering calls and text messages. I like the convenience of getting things all set up. There are some little things that need to be worked out on but that's just homes in general. They all have their little kinks here and there that need to be ironed out. Overall, it was a good and easy experience with Clayton.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you so much, Trey! We're so happy to hear that you had a wonderful buying experience with Clayton Homes!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

The home buying process at Clayton was good at first, but then it started getting a little out of whack for me. They started changing stipulations. Everything just immediately started to change to where instead of saving me money, they cost me more money. Everything that they could not get through the financing, I had to do. When I’d done that and finally got it done, it took the people almost a year to dig my wells. So, that was a holdup.

Then when they finally dug the well, everything that I was responsible for, Clayton Homes didn't give me an opportunity. They called the well people that dug the well and had them do all this miraculous stuff that was supposed to be on me, to cost me another $7,300. We were in an argument because they authorized this and I didn't. But it still ended up costing me and all of this was done after the closing sign. But as far as the woman that I started dealing with and the project manager, they find out what you need to find out and sometimes get back in touch with you.

Clayton Homes response

Hi Rodney, thank you for sharing this feedback regarding your buying experience with Clayton Homes. We strive to provide a world-class customer service, and we appreciate you taking the time to voice these concerns. We will share this with the appropriate teams to ensure communication measures are taken.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

It took Clayton a while to get us our house. We were supposed to have it before November but we got it in December during Christmas. Everything went crazy over here because of the wind, ice, and snow. We had to cover everything up underneath so that none of the pipes would leak. That aside, everything is intact so far. We had some little issues where one of the cabinets fell down. It was over there by the washer. Also, one of the trims was coming apart and one of the doors wasn't opening and closing right. Clayton got those fixed. I also told Clayton about the on and off for the lights. I really didn't like them. I told Clayton to switch the one in the restroom to a regular on and off switch because it kept on not letting the fan come on. They did that.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for sharing this experience, Joe! We are so happy that any repairs needed with your home were fixed in a timely manner! We strive to provide this type of service to all our customers.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

Clayton Homes moves a little faster compared to others. They tore the old one down in November, and they were through by January 27th. I got a four-bedroom, two-bath unit, and I love the floor plan. I had to have someone come out and do something to the sliding glass doors because it was too tight, but other than that, it’s been good. The rep I worked with, Wayne, was good as well. He stayed in communication.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to reach out and share your feedback with us, Bobby!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

The purchasing process took a couple of months and it was excellent. I used my own bank. The quality of the house is pretty good and I’m happy with it. There's definitely a lot more house than we had before. We didn't put carpet in any of the rooms that were supposed to have carpet and did linoleum throughout the whole house instead. If you're were looking for a house, Clayton is the place to go.

Clayton Homes response

Thank you for your feedback, Cody! We're so happy that you chose Clayton Homes for your homebuying needs.

Clayton Homes Company Information