1.09/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

280 Williams-Sonoma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 10, 2019

The plastic salt and pepper grinder finally showed up a month later marred and unacceptable. (I only learned they were "Out Of Stock" after clicking the Purchase button. Their Ordering Site was awkward and counterintuitive to use.) Email Updates were MIA, or wrong. After the call to return, I knew that the excessive price was refunded thanks only to Paypal. WS lost no time in asking me to rate the call recipient. The WS website continues to malfunction as I try to return their product. No email arrived with the promised "Return Label", and the "Return" function on their website refuses to provide a Return Label. This upscale retailer (mis)performs like a mass market discount retailer. Senior Management of WS should be ashamed.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I purchased a Breville oven 2 weeks ago and today it went on sale for $54.00 less than I paid. I called customer service for a credit and was told that Williams-Sonoma "never" credits an item once purchased. Lesson learned. They have lost a loyal customer. M ** St. Augustine Florida.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have a real issue with the way my most recent orders were handled by Williams-Sonoma. I ordered 3 Easter baskets for my kids who live in another state. One received her order as planned. The other 2 orders were back-ordered; however, I did not receive an email notification that this had happened. If I had, I would have had time to cancel those baskets and order something else. But by the time I found out (by following up on the order myself) it was too late to get a replacement item in time for Easter.

I called and spoke with customer service and expressed my dissatisfaction with the whole situation. All she could tell me was that the basket was from a 3rd party vendor and Williams-Sonoma had no control over their inventory or processes. I told her that WS vendors represent WS, and I expect the same level of service regardless of where the product is coming from.

She indicated the item was expected to arrive on Monday, 4/22. At this point I just contacted my kids and apologized that it was going to be late. On Tuesday, 4/23, late in the evening I received an email that my order had been canceled due to product unavailability. I was furious. I've purchased many things from WS over the years. My expectation for WS customer service is much higher than the level of service I received on this order. Atrocious.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have been trying to order 4 Fitzgerald side chairs for some time now. Promotional codes or free shipping codes don't work even when they send me codes. The website often says the chairs are 20% off, but are always listed at $250.00, sale or no sale. They can't send a sample of the satin finish and don't have any sample in the 3 Twin Cities stores for me to go look at.

The 2 to 4 week "quick ship" fabric and finish I tried to order has a 8 to 10 week delivery date! I also can't order these in a store and have it shipped to the store. I tried. Even the salesperson got super frustrated at how lousy the customer service people were. It's really hard to do business with them. They used to be a good company.

Original review: April 23, 2019

DO NOT BUY I opened a card to buy a large purchase ($250). The rewards are not remotely worth it and they try everything to NOT give you a discount or free shipping. I was charged $27 due to a small banking error. I immediately rectified it but was told that the fee could not be waived despite paying early and in full. I spoke to customer service about this issue and they refused to rectify it despite this being something that cost them no money. I even tried to see if they would reduce the fee. Nothing.

The product I bought was definitely not worth the amount of time money and energy I have spent on this issue. Trust me, this discount for this card is nowhere near worth it. I will no longer be shopping here, and I can assure you, I will be telling this to every single person I personally know in the professional/televised cooking world. BTW They charge you $9 by the way to pay over the phone. This review above is counter to every other review I have come across and clearly has been created to promote the card and is unbiased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Williams-Sonoma?

Original review: April 22, 2019

Watch, watch, WATCH the prices and sale prices. I saw a bunny bowl that was $99.95 in store. Waited to see if it would go on sale. Of course, closer to Easter, sales started and the bowl was 30% off ($69.97) and free shipping. I ordered it online because I don’t have a store close to where I live. Ordered it on Saturday 4/20, mid-afternoon. Next day, Sunday 4/21, the bowl goes on sale again and is now down to $49.99. I immediately call back and ask for a price adjustment. I’m promptly told that they DO NOT offer price adjustments on previously placed orders.

Hang on....FIRST, the item went on sale within 24 hours of the order being placed. SECOND, if you purchase an item in store, generally within a week of the item goes on sale, you are able to receive a price adjustment, provided you bring the receipt with you into the store. THIRD, I asked why this terrible policy isn’t readily visible on website or on receipt and the customer service rep (Heather) said she was following company policy. She put me on hold then came back and said she was able to make a ONE-time price adjustment but the difference would be applied to a MERCHANDISE CREDIT, which would be mailed to me. I will not make another purchase from this GREATLY overpriced store and I will not promote their products by word of mouth. With competition as fierce as it is today and brick and mortar stores RAPIDLY shutting down, Williams-Sonoma really needs to review and revamp their policies.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I placed an order for the first time online, took advantage of the WS credit card - requested my order ship urgent to be delivered by 4/19 to my son for Easter - website very misleading and lead me to believe my order would arrive as requested. After I placed the order and I received a confirmation, I never saw a delivery date etc. I called customer service 4 times... Each CS rep said she could not see/view/ confirm the order. My 5th call, rep said my son would not receive the PARTIAL order until 4/23!!! I requested to speak with a manager! The manager reiterated there was nothing she could do and didn't even offer an apology! It's the principal of it all! Website very misleading, very vague regarding delivery date and now my son and his wife will receive Easter gift next week!!!! I am very disappointed with WS even though they are overpriced etc. I was willing to give them a shot! I regret doing so!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I called Williams-Sonoma to order a coffee machine, placed order on April 11th. As soon as order was placed, it showed July 3rd delivery date. I immediately cancelled, clerk said, she couldn't guarantee it would be cancelled. Called Lee, supervisor, same story, can't guarantee it will be cancelled. I have never done business with a company with policies like this. It also states after the fact that this item can't be returned. Why would I place an order to be delivered in July, I bought it elsewhere for less. Needless to say, spending hours on the phone with Williams-Sonoma is not a pleasant experience. I am disputing with Amex and blocking them from charging my card, and I will never do business with Williams-Sonoma again.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I found a Calphalon cookware set on sale for $639. On the product page for that item it said to enter code Spring for 20% discount. Upon checkout it would not honor the code. Spoke to a girl in customer service and she verified that because it was on the product page that they would have to honor it. I decided I would open up a Williams-Sonoma credit card. The customer service girl (Shauna) stated that I would need to make the purchase and once I order and give her the order number she will put a credit through for the 20% discount. She advised that she will wait on the line while I completed my purchase.

Once the purchase was completed (on 04/07/10 @ 4:50 pm) Shauna advised that she credited my account. She advised that it would reflect on my new credit card account. Once I received the credit card I went to create an account online for paperless billing. At that point I realized that no discount was given. Called customer service on 04/15/19 @ 6:30 and spoke with Lori who advised that they will not honor the discount.

This is complete fraud. I would not have made the purchase if there was no discount. Shauna advised that the price would be 20% less but Lori advised that she sent it to accounting and they denied the request. Please beware when making purchases. This is beyond poor business practice. This is downright fraud. Telling customers the price is one thing and then billing another only to tell them too bad when you call them out on it. Will be returning the set and closing my Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn credit cards. There are far too many places to shop.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I received a gift along with a gift receipt. I realize it had been purchased more than 30 days prior, but I was honest and took the receipt along with the item (in original packaging and never opened) to my local store. I had to wait for the manager to become available. He was in the backroom and appeared unwilling to speak with me until I insisted on speaking with him. He told me there was a 30 day return policy and corporate had stressed this recently. No exceptions. I do understand the policy, but I had only received this gift a few days before. I told him I would be perfectly happy with a merchandise credit. He declined. I want Williams Sonoma to know I have been a faithful customer, even waiting weeks for the delivery of my Nespresso machine. At a cost of $39.95 Williams Sonoma has lost a customer.

Original review: March 28, 2019

JUST DON'T SHOP HERE ANYMORE! I was told I could add on the free shipping when they found my order in their system, since I called immediately after placing the order, realizing I had forgotten to put in the code. So I called back a day later, as told. WTF, only to hear "It is not their policy to return shipping and handling fees," which is the only way I buy heavy things like cookware. I asked to speak to a supervisor. "They'll call you back early next week." Didn't happen. I cannot believe how this chain has gone downhill. I will go to a store tomorrow and see what someone can tell me face-to-face. Never again will I set foot in a Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, or any of their gang. Shame on them all.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a 1500.00 cookware set online and after a while was disappointed in the way it cooked and unable to clean properly. I called customer service and they said to take the set in the store and they give me a store credit to purchase a new set. Drive 40 min to the store and they say they can't do anything because the online group started the return. Fast forward 4 calls to the store and 8 calls to customer's service, I was told to come in and pick up my stuff and mail it back myself. The store was told that by the customer service group. Everyone blames each other and the customer pays the price. Terrible, Terrible service.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I placed an order for an Espresso Machine on February 5th, 2019. It stated it was Fast Free Shipping, and I thought; "Great!". Fast forward to receiving the email confirmation after completing the purchase that the estimated arrival date would be April 25th. Yes, April 25th. About 12 weeks, which is ridiculous when it states "fast free shipping" in bright red, next to the order button for the item. I contacted them numerous times to have the order canceled, nothing. Every response I get is just a giant circle of pre drilled comments and no resolution.

So, now I am stuck waiting for an expensive espresso machine I could have easily ordered on Amazon. Avoid Williams Sonoma at all costs, the customer service is HORRIBLE. The advertising is false, although they claim it is not. Honestly, if you are wanting to buy anything from this company, either buy it in person or go to Amazon and find it there. Hopefully this review will help you avoid the mistake I made ordering with them.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I placed an order of hand blender from Williams-Sonoma online on February 8 2019. On its website, it says Free FAST shipping over $49. NO PLACE on the page tells it is going to ship from the vendor so it is a special order. Cannot be returned. I bought it and waited. I have called customer service several times and I was told to wait and it will delivered by Friday. The order status was not changed to "shipped" until March 7 2019. Nothing has changed since then and I called the customer service on March 21 2019 again to check the status. They tell me that they have no record shows I have called before and for the order, they will recreate a UPS tracking number for me and I can expect it at April 18 2019 as it will be shipped from vendor!! What??? I requested to cancel to order and they had to agree as it has took so long.

This is the most ridiculous shopping experience I have ever had. The custom service just lie to you it will come on Friday to get rid of you. And on their online page, you do not get correct/real shipping information. I left an honest review under the item and point out the missing information the customer should realize, of course, they delete it. Try avoid this online store as it is the worst.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I ordered multiple items from Williams-Sonoma online early in March, 2019. There was no indication anything was "back ordered." I called twice to check on them and every time got a different story about when I could expect them. On March 18 I was told it would be shipped and when I attempted to question the representative, he hung up on me! TELL JEFF BEZOS TO BUY WILLIAMS-SONOMA SO WE DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS KIND OF TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

In early January I used a gift card online to purchase a Le Creuset piece. That wasn't the problem. I had to submit my email in order to track shipping, which makes sense. HOWEVER, they signed me up for their ** email subscription WHICH WILL NOT STOP. I have unsubscribed at least a dozen times!!! It's now mid-March and I got yet ANOTHER one today! What in the actual hell? I'm livid. It's not just from Williams Sonoma, it's from all of their sister companies. Pottery Barn, Mark and Graham, Pottery Barn Kids, West Elm, and any other company they own. I get ALL the emails, no matter how many times I unsubscribe. For a high end company, they don't have their online ** together!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I recently purchased a set of four $49.95 AERIN coasters on the Williams-Sonoma website. Inside the shipping carton arrived a ratty box that looked like it had been shoved around the storeroom for years -- dirty and scratched. And two of the coasters appeared to be stained. (I'm really glad I didn't have this shipped this to someone as a gift!) I took them to my nearest W-S store (NYC-Manhattan-Chelsea) -- which was practically empty on a Saturday (overpriced goods and lousy service, perhaps?). I was told I had to return the coasters by shipping them back to the distribution center since I bought them online -- even though a new set was sitting right there on the shelf.

I wrote review similar to this on the W-S website, but it was never approved for publication, nor was I contacted by anyone in customer service to remedy the situation. Bottom line: poorly run store with overpriced merchandise and insolent help. I will not shop there again, nor at its overpriced Pottery Barn sibling. In today's competitive e-tail market, I give it two more years to survive, if that.

Original review: March 9, 2019

This is the worst credit card company in the United States of America, hands down! I applied with Williams-Sonoma for this card, and was told that I would receive my card in seven business days. Two weeks later, I called the jerks in Florida, to see why I had no card, and was told that a letter had been mailed out to me. I asked the representative to explain what the letter was about and she refused. I asked for a supervisor and she was totally rude, purposeless and argumentative. Before I hung up on her, I made sure she knew that I would never do business with a company like Comenity anyway, and I finished it off by telling her exactly what I thought of her and her position there.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Chairs in stock item, quick ship. Delivery date set & confirmed. 1 day prior cancelled saying items not there, despite acknowledgment 5 days before. LOTS of more snafus & miscues. CHAIRS STILL NOT HERE & dining room unusable til they arrive. This is 2nd POOR experience with WS Home over past few years. Previously they were FAB. Everything seems to be decentralized, farmed out & no accountability. SAD situation for what used to be a top notch company. AND the "white glove" delivery is anything but! Drop & run more like it!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have been trying to resolve an issue with a damaged piece for over a week. I have made 7 phone calls to set up UPS to pick up the package at my moms home. No one called or has shown up. Yesterday the UPS came to my home in another state with the label! I repeat my story over and over and have spelled every word out for at least 5 of the customer service reps. They get it wrong and it is still not resolved. This company has really failed and would be better off shutting down. Not to mention even sending out a bent frying pan! So much for their quality control. Never Again Williams Sonoma, you have lost a customer and many more to come. 7 days of hell to try to get my mom her credit due!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I ordered a Le Creuset Non Stick Fry Pan. I have currently not received the item and it has been a month. I have called customer service 6 times now only to get a different arrival date 3 times and a promise for an email to show cancellation of order which I have not received, I was told I would get a callback next day and did not receive that either. Then on top of all this I called and asked to speak with someone in management and they told me they were very busy and would call me back...NEVER RECEIVED THE CALLBACK??? Not sure what is going on here but I do know when I'm getting the runaround. Worst service ever... Too many places to buy nice fry pans and I will never waste my time or money on WILLIAMS-SONOMA again. I'm also spreading the word.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

In Dec 2018, I placed an online order for a tea kettle that was back-ordered. I received 20% off along with free shipping. It was supposed to be delivered this week. I called WS to ask about delivery. They couldn't find my order. When ordering this product in Dec, I had printed off an order summary but unfortunately, not the summary confirmation. I offered to email or fax them this printout. Bottom line: they didn't care. They wouldn't honor the order, wouldn't honor the sale, wouldn't honor me. Goodbye WS. I will never shop at your store or website. There are too many competitors that value their customers. You, obviously, don't.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

WS is the worse company. My bf ordered on Nov a Le Creuset pan. It’s about 3 months that we didn’t receive a pan yet. Every time we call they just apologize and tell us different time of delivery. The manager is another liar who just **. They are ridiculous. Please never ever order online. They are totally messed up. I don’t know how many people they fool by keep promising? This was the last time we shopped from there.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I ordered a knife online on 12/23/18 and had it drop shipped to where I was spending the holidays. It arrived late, after I'd left, so then I had to have the recipient ship it to me in my home state. While the knife was in transit for the second time I went to a WS store and held the knife I purchased online, realizing it was not sufficient for my needs. So I bought a second model and planned to return the first knife as soon as it was delivered. When it arrived I immediately called customer service and initiated a return on 01/08/19. I was told I would be credited in the initial form of payment which was a credit card ($14.95) and WS rewards certificates ($70).

I sent the knife back via UPS at it was received at WS on 01/11/19. By 01/18/19 I was getting anxious as I had still not received any update about my refund, so I called Customer Service once again. The representative told me she was processing my return as we spoke and that, again, I would be credited in the initial form of payment. It is now 01/30/19 and I STILL have not received any notification about the status of my return other than the second representative’s word that it “was in the works”, so I called customer service a third time. I spoke to a nice gentleman who politely told me that my Merchandise Credit for $14.95 was in the mail and I should receive it in a few days…hopefully. I reminded him that that was not the original form of payment and also asked where was the other $70?!?! He now tells me, contrary to the first 2 representatives, that the $70 rewards certificates are one-time use and he can’t help me any further.

He also can’t understand why the $14.95 is a merch credit instead of a credit to my credit card, but again he can’t change anything. I ask to speak to a supervisor. She is immediately on the defense and rudely tells me that regardless of the fact that I’ve been struggling to get information about my refund for over 5 weeks and have spoken to 4 reps (2 of which have repeatedly given me false information) that the fine print on the certificates says “one-time use” so it’s my fault and my loss. I asked her “why would anyone in their right mind return a knife for $84.95 and only expect to get back $14.95?!?! That’s just ridiculous!”.

I demanded that she cancel the $14.95 merch credit which I haven’t even received and credit the funds back to my credit card as promised. She claims she did and I’ll see it in another 7-10 business days…however, she flatly refused to do anything at all about the $70 in now lost certificates. I told her that was acceptable and then she hung up on me. I’ve never been treated so unprofessionally in my life. Williams Sonoma Customer Service is not only unprofessional but only makes excuses instead of finding solutions for valued customers. If you know for a fact that multiple representatives have given their word about how a service is going to be provided, the company should honor that word, even if it’s incorrect. The customer should not have to pay the price for their errors and be left empty handed. I would have rated this company 0 stars but that was not an option.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I purchased a Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch quarter sheet pan and rack. The first time I used it, the coating was coming off. I was sold this by the store in my state and told it was "oven safe". I returned it immediately and asked to exchange for a different product when I was told that it was NOT "oven safe". I specifically asked for a Stainless Steel rack and was sold a chrome plated rack instead but wasn't aware until it started to rust. I went back to the store and was told that they would order me a new rack that is "oven safe" and I ordered two of them. Turns out they were coated again, not Stainless Steel like I insisted on having.

Now, After 7 phone calls later to Williams-Sonoma, I explained to each one of the people what my dilemma was and was told to call a different number. Each time I am on the phone for at least 15 minutes with wait times only to explain again what I was calling about and told they cannot help me. The last two phone calls I made, I was finally given a phone number in which they take complaints about retails stores! No one answered, I was given the option to leave a VM. Then I called back to get the CEO's office and was given the option, once again, to leave a VM. The last thing you want to do is make me leave a VM when I am this upset now. It started out a friendly phone call but an hour later I am pissed now. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! And EVEN WORSE CUSTOMER RELATIONS!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

My girlfriend purchased a $150.00 cutting board at a Williams-Sonoma store for me as a Xmas gift. After unpacking it, and even before I used it, a crack was already spreading from the thinnest part of the wood. I took it to the same Williams-Sonoma store and the return was refused, even though it was during the accepted return period for Xmas gifts. I even told them I would accept a store credit or merchandise exchange, but this was refused as well. I had a record of the charge, but not the original receipt. After that debacle, I spent probably an hour or more on the phone with two different departments at WS. They essentially passed the buck and told me to go back to the store or (are you ready for this?) TRY A DIFFERENT STORE!!!

We have shopped often at WS stores, and have even ordered one of their Willie Birds (and other things!) for holidays for several years. Would leave NEGATIVE STARS if possible!!! Am considering calling American Express to contest the charge. Read their flyers carefully and check their website. They don't seem to mention any kind of warranty or return policy for anything they sell. I have NEVER seen a company with this kind of visibility behave in such a callous manner towards their customers. Will NEVER shop at this chain again!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Called to report I was unable to open one of the three bottles of soap in a set and needed resolution. Well, Mary, first asked if I was doing it correctly. I assured her I was since I was able to get the other one with the same top on it. She then volunteered she just gets her husband to do it and then finally further insulted me by saying, "Well you have had it a "while"," said I could go to a store and they could just hand me one. But guess why I ordered it online, yup cause I don't live near one. Received 19 days ago, just trying to use it day 19!

After the go around to infer the problem was me, she said "oh, we''ll just send you a pump." That was going to take 10 days, meanwhile the original order was less than 7 days! When asked if there was anything else she could do for me I said, "A quicker resolution would help." Her reply was "well we're not going to overnight you a plastic pump." This is what they call CUSTOMER SERVICE! I don't think so. Plenty other places to shop for kitchen soap.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I purchased a set of Wüstof steak knives in one of Williams-Sonoma brick and mortar stores last weekend. In the store, there is a sign promoting a $25 gift card when purchasing $250 or more of Wüstof cutlery. The set I purchased was $319.95. I was told I could download the form from the website, and I did so this morning. The promotion expired at the end of last year (purchase was on January 12th.) I understand that promotions expire. What I have a problem with is that the promotion is still being promoted both online and in store.

I called their corporate customer service line, and I got jerked around for over an hour, and 6 different agents. They had a couple say they would try and help, but I got disconnected for whatever reason. I had another say that they couldn't help, but a supervisor would be able to. The person they transferred me to wasn't a supervisor, and said a different department needed to assist. The different department they transferred me to was their Wedding Registry department. This wasn't a wedding registry purchase. This gentleman said he could still help, and at one point said he could send me gift card, but then backed out of it, and hung up on me. The 6th person I spoke with wasn't willing to listen, spoke over me at every opportunity, and left me very upset, and not wanting to shop with them again.

At this point, and probably what I should have done to begin with, I called the store that I purchased the knives from, and explained the circumstances. The store manager told me that the promotion was still going on, even though the form said it was expired, and recommended that I send the form in anyway. If the form was rejected, they will give me $25 off a purchase in the store, but couldn't provide me with a gift card. She also informed me that their "corporate customer service line" is not corporate, but a separate entity, which is why they were unable to assist.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

If I listed all my issues with WS it would be a thesis. So I will stick to the latest-- I ordered an expensive pan from them but determined shortly after ordering that the size would not work. I immediately called to cancel so item would not ship (within an hour) and was told order was successfully cancelled and would not be shipped. However, weeks later the order showed up at my doorstep. I called to return and was told I would get full refund including shipping.

I was also told it was my responsibility to call back to confirm I got refund -- they would not automatically refund upon receipt of pan (I have never dealt with a company that did not automatically process refunds). I called back as soon as I saw delivery was made to WS and was told the shipping would be deducted from my refund despite the fact I immediately cancelled order. This is 1 in a string of substandard dealings with this company. I have spent several thousand plus dollars with them in the last month but never again will they see a penny from me and I would warn others there are much better companies to deal with. Be forewarned.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Upon opening this product, found it was filled only halfway. Very deceptive. I emptied the contents onto my food scale and verified it was as described on the over-sized can. WS seems to have gone downhill these past few year in both product quality and customer service in handling such SNAFUs. Haven’t they already closed a lot of their brick-and-mortar stores? If so, no surprise since a lot of their merchandise is crap from China. Will they be next to file for bankruptcy? Wouldn’t surprise this consumer who will no longer patronize WS as this last experience with their deceptive and unethical business practices has made sure of that.

Williams-Sonoma expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Browse indoor and outdoor home furnishings and décor online or at stores across the United States. Free design services and credit cards rewards are available.

• Services: In-store product training and free knife sharpening.

• Shipping: Front door delivery and Premium White Glove service delivery options.

• Returns: Eligible items can be returned within 30 days. Customized orders are not eligible for returns.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs