1.09/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

268 Williams-Sonoma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 22, 2019

I placed an order for an Espresso Machine on February 5th, 2019. It stated it was Fast Free Shipping, and I thought; "Great!". Fast forward to receiving the email confirmation after completing the purchase that the estimated arrival date would be April 25th. Yes, April 25th. About 12 weeks, which is ridiculous when it states "fast free shipping" in bright red, next to the order button for the item. I contacted them numerous times to have the order canceled, nothing. Every response I get is just a giant circle of pre drilled comments and no resolution.

So, now I am stuck waiting for an expensive espresso machine I could have easily ordered on Amazon. Avoid Williams Sonoma at all costs, the customer service is HORRIBLE. The advertising is false, although they claim it is not. Honestly, if you are wanting to buy anything from this company, either buy it in person or go to Amazon and find it there. Hopefully this review will help you avoid the mistake I made ordering with them.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I placed an order of hand blender from Williams-Sonoma online on February 8 2019. On its website, it says Free FAST shipping over $49. NO PLACE on the page tells it is going to ship from the vendor so it is a special order. Cannot be returned. I bought it and waited. I have called customer service several times and I was told to wait and it will delivered by Friday. The order status was not changed to "shipped" until March 7 2019. Nothing has changed since then and I called the customer service on March 21 2019 again to check the status. They tell me that they have no record shows I have called before and for the order, they will recreate a UPS tracking number for me and I can expect it at April 18 2019 as it will be shipped from vendor!! What??? I requested to cancel to order and they had to agree as it has took so long.

This is the most ridiculous shopping experience I have ever had. The custom service just lie to you it will come on Friday to get rid of you. And on their online page, you do not get correct/real shipping information. I left an honest review under the item and point out the missing information the customer should realize, of course, they delete it. Try avoid this online store as it is the worst.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
    Original review: March 18, 2019

I ordered multiple items from Williams-Sonoma online early in March, 2019. There was no indication anything was "back ordered." I called twice to check on them and every time got a different story about when I could expect them. On March 18 I was told it would be shipped and when I attempted to question the representative, he hung up on me! TELL JEFF BEZOS TO BUY WILLIAMS-SONOMA SO WE DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS KIND OF TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

In early January I used a gift card online to purchase a Le Creuset piece. That wasn't the problem. I had to submit my email in order to track shipping, which makes sense. HOWEVER, they signed me up for their ** email subscription WHICH WILL NOT STOP. I have unsubscribed at least a dozen times!!! It's now mid-March and I got yet ANOTHER one today! What in the actual hell? I'm livid. It's not just from Williams Sonoma, it's from all of their sister companies. Pottery Barn, Mark and Graham, Pottery Barn Kids, West Elm, and any other company they own. I get ALL the emails, no matter how many times I unsubscribe. For a high end company, they don't have their online ** together!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I recently purchased a set of four $49.95 AERIN coasters on the Williams-Sonoma website. Inside the shipping carton arrived a ratty box that looked like it had been shoved around the storeroom for years -- dirty and scratched. And two of the coasters appeared to be stained. (I'm really glad I didn't have this shipped this to someone as a gift!) I took them to my nearest W-S store (NYC-Manhattan-Chelsea) -- which was practically empty on a Saturday (overpriced goods and lousy service, perhaps?). I was told I had to return the coasters by shipping them back to the distribution center since I bought them online -- even though a new set was sitting right there on the shelf.

I wrote review similar to this on the W-S website, but it was never approved for publication, nor was I contacted by anyone in customer service to remedy the situation. Bottom line: poorly run store with overpriced merchandise and insolent help. I will not shop there again, nor at its overpriced Pottery Barn sibling. In today's competitive e-tail market, I give it two more years to survive, if that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Williams-Sonoma?

Original review: March 9, 2019

This is the worst credit card company in the United States of America, hands down! I applied with Williams-Sonoma for this card, and was told that I would receive my card in seven business days. Two weeks later, I called the jerks in Florida, to see why I had no card, and was told that a letter had been mailed out to me. I asked the representative to explain what the letter was about and she refused. I asked for a supervisor and she was totally rude, purposeless and argumentative. Before I hung up on her, I made sure she knew that I would never do business with a company like Comenity anyway, and I finished it off by telling her exactly what I thought of her and her position there.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Chairs in stock item, quick ship. Delivery date set & confirmed. 1 day prior cancelled saying items not there, despite acknowledgment 5 days before. LOTS of more snafus & miscues. CHAIRS STILL NOT HERE & dining room unusable til they arrive. This is 2nd POOR experience with WS Home over past few years. Previously they were FAB. Everything seems to be decentralized, farmed out & no accountability. SAD situation for what used to be a top notch company. AND the "white glove" delivery is anything but! Drop & run more like it!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have been trying to resolve an issue with a damaged piece for over a week. I have made 7 phone calls to set up UPS to pick up the package at my moms home. No one called or has shown up. Yesterday the UPS came to my home in another state with the label! I repeat my story over and over and have spelled every word out for at least 5 of the customer service reps. They get it wrong and it is still not resolved. This company has really failed and would be better off shutting down. Not to mention even sending out a bent frying pan! So much for their quality control. Never Again Williams Sonoma, you have lost a customer and many more to come. 7 days of hell to try to get my mom her credit due!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I ordered a Le Creuset Non Stick Fry Pan. I have currently not received the item and it has been a month. I have called customer service 6 times now only to get a different arrival date 3 times and a promise for an email to show cancellation of order which I have not received, I was told I would get a callback next day and did not receive that either. Then on top of all this I called and asked to speak with someone in management and they told me they were very busy and would call me back...NEVER RECEIVED THE CALLBACK??? Not sure what is going on here but I do know when I'm getting the runaround. Worst service ever... Too many places to buy nice fry pans and I will never waste my time or money on WILLIAMS-SONOMA again. I'm also spreading the word.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

In Dec 2018, I placed an online order for a tea kettle that was back-ordered. I received 20% off along with free shipping. It was supposed to be delivered this week. I called WS to ask about delivery. They couldn't find my order. When ordering this product in Dec, I had printed off an order summary but unfortunately, not the summary confirmation. I offered to email or fax them this printout. Bottom line: they didn't care. They wouldn't honor the order, wouldn't honor the sale, wouldn't honor me. Goodbye WS. I will never shop at your store or website. There are too many competitors that value their customers. You, obviously, don't.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

WS is the worse company. My bf ordered on Nov a Le Creuset pan. It’s about 3 months that we didn’t receive a pan yet. Every time we call they just apologize and tell us different time of delivery. The manager is another liar who just **. They are ridiculous. Please never ever order online. They are totally messed up. I don’t know how many people they fool by keep promising? This was the last time we shopped from there.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I ordered a knife online on 12/23/18 and had it drop shipped to where I was spending the holidays. It arrived late, after I'd left, so then I had to have the recipient ship it to me in my home state. While the knife was in transit for the second time I went to a WS store and held the knife I purchased online, realizing it was not sufficient for my needs. So I bought a second model and planned to return the first knife as soon as it was delivered. When it arrived I immediately called customer service and initiated a return on 01/08/19. I was told I would be credited in the initial form of payment which was a credit card ($14.95) and WS rewards certificates ($70).

I sent the knife back via UPS at it was received at WS on 01/11/19. By 01/18/19 I was getting anxious as I had still not received any update about my refund, so I called Customer Service once again. The representative told me she was processing my return as we spoke and that, again, I would be credited in the initial form of payment. It is now 01/30/19 and I STILL have not received any notification about the status of my return other than the second representative’s word that it “was in the works”, so I called customer service a third time. I spoke to a nice gentleman who politely told me that my Merchandise Credit for $14.95 was in the mail and I should receive it in a few days…hopefully. I reminded him that that was not the original form of payment and also asked where was the other $70?!?! He now tells me, contrary to the first 2 representatives, that the $70 rewards certificates are one-time use and he can’t help me any further.

He also can’t understand why the $14.95 is a merch credit instead of a credit to my credit card, but again he can’t change anything. I ask to speak to a supervisor. She is immediately on the defense and rudely tells me that regardless of the fact that I’ve been struggling to get information about my refund for over 5 weeks and have spoken to 4 reps (2 of which have repeatedly given me false information) that the fine print on the certificates says “one-time use” so it’s my fault and my loss. I asked her “why would anyone in their right mind return a knife for $84.95 and only expect to get back $14.95?!?! That’s just ridiculous!”.

I demanded that she cancel the $14.95 merch credit which I haven’t even received and credit the funds back to my credit card as promised. She claims she did and I’ll see it in another 7-10 business days…however, she flatly refused to do anything at all about the $70 in now lost certificates. I told her that was acceptable and then she hung up on me. I’ve never been treated so unprofessionally in my life. Williams Sonoma Customer Service is not only unprofessional but only makes excuses instead of finding solutions for valued customers. If you know for a fact that multiple representatives have given their word about how a service is going to be provided, the company should honor that word, even if it’s incorrect. The customer should not have to pay the price for their errors and be left empty handed. I would have rated this company 0 stars but that was not an option.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I purchased a Williams-Sonoma Goldtouch quarter sheet pan and rack. The first time I used it, the coating was coming off. I was sold this by the store in my state and told it was "oven safe". I returned it immediately and asked to exchange for a different product when I was told that it was NOT "oven safe". I specifically asked for a Stainless Steel rack and was sold a chrome plated rack instead but wasn't aware until it started to rust. I went back to the store and was told that they would order me a new rack that is "oven safe" and I ordered two of them. Turns out they were coated again, not Stainless Steel like I insisted on having.

Now, After 7 phone calls later to Williams-Sonoma, I explained to each one of the people what my dilemma was and was told to call a different number. Each time I am on the phone for at least 15 minutes with wait times only to explain again what I was calling about and told they cannot help me. The last two phone calls I made, I was finally given a phone number in which they take complaints about retails stores! No one answered, I was given the option to leave a VM. Then I called back to get the CEO's office and was given the option, once again, to leave a VM. The last thing you want to do is make me leave a VM when I am this upset now. It started out a friendly phone call but an hour later I am pissed now. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! And EVEN WORSE CUSTOMER RELATIONS!!!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

My girlfriend purchased a $150.00 cutting board at a Williams-Sonoma store for me as a Xmas gift. After unpacking it, and even before I used it, a crack was already spreading from the thinnest part of the wood. I took it to the same Williams-Sonoma store and the return was refused, even though it was during the accepted return period for Xmas gifts. I even told them I would accept a store credit or merchandise exchange, but this was refused as well. I had a record of the charge, but not the original receipt. After that debacle, I spent probably an hour or more on the phone with two different departments at WS. They essentially passed the buck and told me to go back to the store or (are you ready for this?) TRY A DIFFERENT STORE!!!

We have shopped often at WS stores, and have even ordered one of their Willie Birds (and other things!) for holidays for several years. Would leave NEGATIVE STARS if possible!!! Am considering calling American Express to contest the charge. Read their flyers carefully and check their website. They don't seem to mention any kind of warranty or return policy for anything they sell. I have NEVER seen a company with this kind of visibility behave in such a callous manner towards their customers. Will NEVER shop at this chain again!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Called to report I was unable to open one of the three bottles of soap in a set and needed resolution. Well, Mary, first asked if I was doing it correctly. I assured her I was since I was able to get the other one with the same top on it. She then volunteered she just gets her husband to do it and then finally further insulted me by saying, "Well you have had it a "while"," said I could go to a store and they could just hand me one. But guess why I ordered it online, yup cause I don't live near one. Received 19 days ago, just trying to use it day 19!

After the go around to infer the problem was me, she said "oh, we''ll just send you a pump." That was going to take 10 days, meanwhile the original order was less than 7 days! When asked if there was anything else she could do for me I said, "A quicker resolution would help." Her reply was "well we're not going to overnight you a plastic pump." This is what they call CUSTOMER SERVICE! I don't think so. Plenty other places to shop for kitchen soap.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I purchased a set of Wüstof steak knives in one of Williams-Sonoma brick and mortar stores last weekend. In the store, there is a sign promoting a $25 gift card when purchasing $250 or more of Wüstof cutlery. The set I purchased was $319.95. I was told I could download the form from the website, and I did so this morning. The promotion expired at the end of last year (purchase was on January 12th.) I understand that promotions expire. What I have a problem with is that the promotion is still being promoted both online and in store.

I called their corporate customer service line, and I got jerked around for over an hour, and 6 different agents. They had a couple say they would try and help, but I got disconnected for whatever reason. I had another say that they couldn't help, but a supervisor would be able to. The person they transferred me to wasn't a supervisor, and said a different department needed to assist. The different department they transferred me to was their Wedding Registry department. This wasn't a wedding registry purchase. This gentleman said he could still help, and at one point said he could send me gift card, but then backed out of it, and hung up on me. The 6th person I spoke with wasn't willing to listen, spoke over me at every opportunity, and left me very upset, and not wanting to shop with them again.

At this point, and probably what I should have done to begin with, I called the store that I purchased the knives from, and explained the circumstances. The store manager told me that the promotion was still going on, even though the form said it was expired, and recommended that I send the form in anyway. If the form was rejected, they will give me $25 off a purchase in the store, but couldn't provide me with a gift card. She also informed me that their "corporate customer service line" is not corporate, but a separate entity, which is why they were unable to assist.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

If I listed all my issues with WS it would be a thesis. So I will stick to the latest-- I ordered an expensive pan from them but determined shortly after ordering that the size would not work. I immediately called to cancel so item would not ship (within an hour) and was told order was successfully cancelled and would not be shipped. However, weeks later the order showed up at my doorstep. I called to return and was told I would get full refund including shipping.

I was also told it was my responsibility to call back to confirm I got refund -- they would not automatically refund upon receipt of pan (I have never dealt with a company that did not automatically process refunds). I called back as soon as I saw delivery was made to WS and was told the shipping would be deducted from my refund despite the fact I immediately cancelled order. This is 1 in a string of substandard dealings with this company. I have spent several thousand plus dollars with them in the last month but never again will they see a penny from me and I would warn others there are much better companies to deal with. Be forewarned.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Upon opening this product, found it was filled only halfway. Very deceptive. I emptied the contents onto my food scale and verified it was as described on the over-sized can. WS seems to have gone downhill these past few year in both product quality and customer service in handling such SNAFUs. Haven’t they already closed a lot of their brick-and-mortar stores? If so, no surprise since a lot of their merchandise is crap from China. Will they be next to file for bankruptcy? Wouldn’t surprise this consumer who will no longer patronize WS as this last experience with their deceptive and unethical business practices has made sure of that.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I stopped by my local Williams-Sanoma store this morning to pick up some cookware. NOT ONE person working in this store acknowledged I was there the entire time. I wandered around – NO HELP – then finally found what I was looking for. Although there is a register in that part of the store, no one showed up to take my money. So I went to the main register clear across the store.

There, I waited and waited. There was a W-S employee putting out sale merchandise who looked right at me! We made eye-contact. But she made no move to come to the register or check out what was going on. I waited for her to finish up her task, but the phone rang and she took that call (AT THE REGISTER). Answered the question of the caller; looked for merchandise for the caller; yet never acknowledged my presence AND my FOUR items sitting on the counter – waiting to check out.

Finally, Chris, a man working in the middle section noticed me and came over to help out. He had to leave at one point to get a box and THAT's when the other clerk who had originally ignored my presence, showed up and asked if Chris was helping me. When I told her was, she went back to stocking the sales area. Two other employees showed up at that moment too. Chris came back, checked me out and even carried my larger packages to the car for me. He was the one bright spot of the morning. I'm not a needy person; usually don't really care if someone is busy and can't help out. I don't mind waiting. But in this instance, there were FOUR store employees and two customers. Should have had MUCH better service. No wonder I drive over there much.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Ordered a couch on September 22, it was not delivered until late December. Within a week a metal riveted button popped off, it cannot be sewed back on. I have been in phone and email limbo now for three weeks with no response besides to be asked again and again to send detailed pictures, which I have done to no response. I will never ever shop with them again.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

On November 30, 2018 I ordered a skillet set (2 skillets) and 2 matching sized lids from the Williams-Sonoma site for Christmas presents. They arrived while we were out of town, but a friend brought them into our house. We arrived home on Dec 9th only to find the box that the skillets came in was totally destroyed. I immediately opened the box to find that the not only was the box 2 1/2 times the size of the skillets inside, but that there was no packing material inside the box to help stabilize the contents and the cardboard wrapper that held the skillet set together for sale was completely shredded. Because the cardboard that held the skillets together was shredded, the two skillets spent the entire shipping process rubbing and bouncing off each other resulting in extensive scratching of the skillets. The lids were in a separate box and surprisingly packaged well (glass) and not broken.

We had not even carried in our luggage from our trip before I was on the phone (or hold I should say) with Williams-Sonoma. When I got ahold of a representative, she was very friendly and assured me that a replacement (skillets only) would be sent expedited and that I should get my damaged skillets to UPS at my convenience (because she knew we were still unloading from our trip) but the replacement would be sent right away. She gave me a new order #. I asked if I would be able to track the item the same way I could the other, through my online account and on the website, she said yes. She said it would be available to view online in 24 hrs.

The next day I checked online. I went to my account – nothing! Even the original order number did not show that a return or replacement had been requested. There was no listing of the new order #. There was some confusion on the address when the representative was entering for the replacement. The skillets were to be for my father-in-law for Christmas and they were ordered early because my husband was going to be heading out his father’s direction the week of Dec. 10th and it was ordered so my husband could take them out with him and we wouldn’t have to pay another shipping charge.

My father-in-law had recently moved to a new house in a new development in a very small town. The representative said the system would not accept the address as it was unrecognized so we were sending it to a family business in the same town. Because of this confusion on the address and the fact that there was no trace of the replacement order, I called Williams-Sonoma again to check on the replacement.

After sitting on hold for 30 minutes, a representative finally answered, but then immediately hung up on me. I called back, sitting on hold again for another 30 minutes. This time when the representative answered, the reverb back on the phone was terrible to the point I could not carry on a conversation with the representative. She took my number and said she would call me right back, hoping to get a better line. 3 hours later, no callback! I called Williams-Sonoma yet again, sitting on hold for another 30 minutes, and finally a human being!

The representative was nice – that has never been the issue. I went through the whole story – not that long at this point yet, and asked for her to check the status of my replacement. She could not find any order under the new order number that I was given the day before. She looked at the original order and told me that the first gal didn’t do it right so she was going to process a replacement again – expediting the process and delivery. Sat on the phone for about another 30 minutes while she did what she needed to do. I told her we had shipped the original damaged items out and that they were on the way back to them. Again I asked if I would be able to track this shipment on my account on their website, and again I was told yes and that it would appear in 24 hours for me to track. She told me that it would be under my original order #.

This time I waited 2 days before checking the status online. Again, nothing. Not under my account, not under the new order number (given on 1st call), not the original order number (referenced on the 2nd call). The original order number again still didn’t show that a return label had been created or that a replacement had been requested. I called again, sitting on hold for 30 minutes before I got to talk to anyone. The next representative was very nice, yet again. I always try to remember that none of this is their fault! She checked the status of both the order numbers. It took a while, but finally she did see the 2nd call in the system. The order was not processed as it had just entered into the system. She saw the first call but said nothing was in the system regarding that replacement request.

The second request that she could find was not expedited so she said that she would try to change that so that it would go out right away. She apologized and issued a $25 gift card for my trouble. She told me to keep checking the website as she was not sure when it was going to be shipped, but that I would get an email with the tracking information once it shipped. I kept checking, day after day after day! Nothing! Calling in, sitting on hold, asking to speak to a supervisor, requesting a call back from a supervisor and still getting nothing.

On December 14th, I received a confirmation of my order with Williams-Sonoma, but it was for 2 lids. I had never requested lid replacements! I called again, sitting on hold for 30 minutes. I told the representative that I had never requested replacement lids, that only the skillets were damaged as they were in different boxes. The representative told me to keep the lids since I never requested the replacement, they didn’t need to be sent back. I asked again about what I had actually requested replaced and when I could expect them. They told me to keep checking, that they were in the system and could be sent any day.

Finally on December 18th, 9 days after I first called about the damaged product and requesting a replacement I had enough of “it is coming… keep checking!” I called yet again sitting on hold for 30 minutes. I asked to speak to a supervisor stating I would hold until I spoke to one as I have requested callbacks and had not got one yet! At last, a supervisor! I went through the whole story (by now way too long). I told her I was done waiting for their replacement shipment. I wanted to cancel and have a refund issued. I was told it was too far in the process to cancel at this point. I told her I was ordering the same product on Amazon and that it was going to be delivered in 2 days.

I wanted a return label created so that when the skillet arrived, I could send them back to a credit could be issued to my account. I told her about the lids, and she again told me to keep them. I told her that lids do not do me any good without pans. She told me to throw them or donate them so I have taken them to Goodwill. She created a return UPS label (that I was emailed 2 days later) so that when I got the item I could send it back. She didn’t want me to sit on hold and have to go through this again (I hadn’t received the product yet). I told her that the return shipment would have to wait until my husband came home for Christmas as there was no UPS drop off facility near him. She said no problem. She was putting in the request for a credit immediately.

Later that day, I received notice that the skillets had finally shipped, expected in 2-3 days. I had already ordered the item from Amazon and frankly, Williams-Sonoma didn’t deserve my business at this point! My Amazon package arrived as scheduled, and packaged wonderfully! The next day the Williams-Sonoma replacement arrived finally, 2 weeks after the original call.

On December 24th, we dropped off the skillet return to UPS. With the holiday schedule, they didn’t receive the package until January 2nd, 2019. On January 7th (5 days later) I checked to see the status of my refund. Nothing! Again, the website still does not show that a replacement or a return was ever requested. I cannot check the status of my order – only the original tracking (very 1st shipment) shows. I called again into customer service and asked to speak with the supervisor that I spoke to before (she told me to call her with any more problems). She was on the phone so the representative said she could help.

I again went through the whole story (very long at this point). I gave her the tracking number for the return, told her it was received by them on the 2nd and I want my credit right away. She told me that she processed my credit and that the system takes 1 hour for them to review to release the funds back to my issuer. I used PayPal linked to my discover card and she said PayPal should show it with-in a few hours and it should show as pending on my discover within 24 hours. I told her I was going to check in 24 hours and if it wasn’t processed, I would be calling back!

Here we are 30 hrs. later and no credit! I called in yet again today and asked to speak to the same supervisor. She was on the phone again but they put in a call back request. I was told I would get a call back within 15-30 minutes. That has been 4 hours ago. I have called my Discover card and informed them of the situation and placed an alert on my account. Discover said a merchant has 15 days from when they get a return to issue a credit. They have until the 17th. Discover said that if a credit has not been issued by then, they will place a dispute on the charges. In the meantime, my payment is due including the amount to Williams-Sonoma.

I have been dealing with this for 30 days now and spent at least 20 hrs on it. I am done with Williams-Sonoma! I found this complaint website while trying to see if other were having the same problem. I see that I am not alone! I will do anything to keep other very experiencing what I have gone through! Williams-Sonoma clearly has a problem, which is a shame as they have great products. In the future I will order from Amazon or Sur La Table. The worst part, 30 days later this is still not over. To be continued…

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I received a gift. I attempted to return the gift, using the gift receipt that came with the gift, and to credit the amount of the gift to purchase a Nespresso coffee machine. The associate in the store rang it all up and I left with my purchase. I got home and realized that the gift amount had not only not been credited to my purchase but instead had been refunded to the gift giver. Could it be more embarrassing? Well, yes, apparently it could if I left it to the devices of the store manager.

I called the store to ask them to correct the mistake and I was told (I'm not making this up) (1) we never credit gift receipts to a recipient and accused me of calling him a liar when I pointed out that this simply could not be true or the company would not provide gift receipts at all. (2) There was nothing they could do unless I allowed them to call the original purchaser to ask the purchaser if he would allow a gift card to be issued to us and the credit to him reversed. And (3) there was no way to look at the original order because the stores and the online purchasing are entirely independent. So I guess it's ok simply to take a customer's money and pocket it or distribute it to someone other than the owner of that money?

I continued to call customer service and while I reached several very nice people who genuinely tried to help me, nothing was resolved... Until I explained to them that they should convey to their supervisors that failing to credit my account amounted to larceny and/or conversion. Finally, the customer service people and the store decided to send me merchandise credits for the amount of the transaction. (They never got the amount quite right but it was close. I couldn't continue to fight with them and let the small amount in dispute go.)

Meanwhile, there was still the issue of the merchandise I had already purchased. Merchandise credits weren't going to solve the problem of the past transaction. There was a chance I could bring the cards in and attempt to get an adjustment on the receipt. I was wary. Given the history with this company, I just could not trust that it would work out that way. I returned the item and repurchased it online using the merchandise credit, despite the fact that it was now $10 more than when I'd originally purchased it.

Can you guess the next chapter in this ongoing tale of frustration? You got it! It still hasn't arrived! I placed the order on 12/31 and was promised "fast free shipping." Uh huh. It's now 1/7 and it didn't ship until 1/4. It won't get here until at earliest 1/9 - a solid 9 days at earliest from the date of the order. So much for fast. Somehow every other company from whom I have ordered in that same time period has shipped and delivered well within that period. It's very clear to me that customer service is a very low priority for this company. I would steer clear. Seriously.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

In mid-November bought some stollen to be delivered as Christmas presents, as I have done for several years. When they had not shipped by the first week in December I began calling to see what the problem was. I was assured they would go out in a couple days. They didn't. I called again. This happened several times until I was informed that I had placed a hold on them. Clearly I had never done this (and no one seemed to have noticed this before). It took a further delay until someone could remove the hold.

By then the delivery would be after Christmas. Eventually I was notified they had been delivered, but when I checked the "track delivery" notice I saw they had all been "returned to sender" (so not delivered after all, as Williams-Sonoma had informed me). Someone at Williams-Sonoma had sent them out with incomplete addresses. Once again I contacted customer service who said she would order replacement orders to go out. That was three weeks ago. There is no notice of replacement orders in my account. No one knows what is going on. No one is accepting any responsibility for this mess. No one at Williams-Sonoma seems to have the slightest idea WHO can fix the situation. I am ready to contact the California State Attorney General since my VISA card was charged a long time ago, the goods have not been received, and the company seems unwilling (or unable) to deal with the situation.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

On December 12 I found a knife set on W-S website with a delivery guarantee for Dec 24. I phoned WS customer service to check if the delivery guarantee applied to customers in Ontario, Canada, and was assured the item would be received at my address by Dec 24. On Dec 22 I had not received the item and telephoned WS to check the status.

The agent advised the order wasn't even processed so no way it would be received by Dec 24. She advised me to purchase the knife set from my local store. She said she cancelled my online order and that my card had not yet been charged so a refund would not be necessary, and then she transferred me to the local store to arrange a new purchase with them directly. I purchased and collected the set from my local store.

On December 24 I received an online order confirmation for the same knife set. I phoned WS customer service again to explain their service error and request an order cancellation. The agent said a cancellation was not possible; that I would have to receive the knife set and then phone WS again for return instructions, and then return the set, and then I would be refunded sometime after they received the returned set.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and she advised that none was available but took my number and promised that one would call me within that day. Nobody called. 6 days later, on Dec 30 I received an email shipment notice and my card was charged. On Dec 31 I sent an email complaint and received an automated acknowledgment with the note that they respond to most enquiries within 48 hours.

Today is Jan 5... Nothing from WS, not even the shipped set ordered on Dec 12. Summary of my online shopping experience with WS: Four phone calls to WS customer service, a trip to my local mall to buy the same knife set, processed payments for two knife sets, email complaint with no useful response. Still only one knife set... And we aren't done yet!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I ordered a Fortnum & Mason Christmas Hamper Dec. 2 and it wasn't delivered to my relative until Dec. 28. The original order delivery date was Dec. 17; the actual shipment didn't occur until Dec. 22. I called the customer service office 3 times; two of the service representatives assured me that I would be reimbursed for the full amount ($249) if the food hamper wasn't delivered by Christmas. When I called to receive the reimbursement I was told that I would not be reimbursed. I will never order anything from this company again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Ordered a tea kettle on 12/10 that my Dad wanted for Christmas. Estimated delivery date 12/24. It is January 3rd and no one at WS can tell me when I might get this order because it was farmed out to an outside vendor (this is not disclosed anywhere on the WS website or during the buying process). Vendor apparently won't respond to WS inquiries, hasn't updated tracking or shipping... Poof! They just ghosted the whole process. Oh, and best of all, CS rep told me I shouldn't even bother trying to cancel the order because "most of the time the vendor doesn't respond to those inquiries either." WS, you are in an abusive relationship with your outside vendors. And you just lost me as a customer for life.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I found a table I liked online, was hesitant to purchase "sight-unseen", and decided to visit a retail store. None really close by (25 miles away). Decided to purchase at the location, on a leap of faith that the table would be as expected. Delivery was a nightmare...wrong address, wrong phone # by sales associate. After 10 weeks, table delivered. I've been searching for chairs for the dining table. NOTHING available with the same finish. Not even from Williams-Sonoma.

I called customer service to see about exchanging the table for a chrome finish, willing to pay for the exchange / return and repurchase the new style. Not possible. No suggestions, just a "no return policy" after 30 days. Sorry. Customer service person couldn't answer the question, or direct me to a sales person to assist with chairs. REALLY?? I get it Williams-Sonoma, but how about offering something as a goodwill gesture? You don't have chairs that match your dining tables, you don't offer anything in your showrooms for customers to see...and are obviously relying on your reputation for your expensive furniture purchases. You've just lost me, and anyone else asking my opinion of your furniture.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

They shipped my item with the entire back cut out of the box and random cardboard taped to it to cover it. (It wasn't even shipped in a cardboard box.) I complained that I couldn't give this as a gift and the items were exposed, so I sent it back and asked for a new one. Since that time, I have placed numerous calls to their company, checking on my order that was to be shipped at the beginning of December. Nothing was shipped, and I was told 48 hours, 48 hours.

After that time, I called and my name and number was taken so a supervisor would "call me back". No call. I was finally told the item would be shipped out and I'd receive a tracking number within 48 hours. NO TRACKING NUMBER. The entire time, Williams-Sonoma blamed vendors. I asked for my money back and they said they couldn't refund it once it was in the vendor's hands. I asked if it was normal to charge money for a product they didn't have and wouldn't ship out. I also asked why they were selling the item still and lying to people about "being there for Christmas". I will never shop with them again. Now it seems as though my wait will be March. SO either 48 hours or 48 days now. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My wife purchased a Williams-Sonoma cookie press and prepared the cookie dough EXACTLY using the recipe provided by Williams-Sonoma. Then she loaded the dough into the press and began to press. It clicked until it reached the dough and then it could not push the dough through. When I called customer service I was told that if the dough is too hard the press is not strong enough to push the dough through. Well the dough was prepared according to Williams-Sonoma specs, so something is not right here.

Bottom line...this is not a very good product and should not have been put out by Williams-Sonoma. It is much more effective and much faster to use metal molds and manually press the dough...and the metal molds cost much less than your product which does not work as advertised. Why put out a product that costs over $30 dollars when it does not work as advertised. Suggest that your Tech folks go back to the drawing board on this product!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered an Instant Pot online, then was told I was going to get one as a gift, so I called to cancel. After multiple lengthy customer service phone calls, they finally said it was canceled. Two days later I received it at my door! The online return option wasn’t working. So, after multiple lengthy calls, and transfers to the wrong people (Pottery Barn, etc) and no one on the line after being on lengthy hold, I was able to speak with someone who said they initiated the return. After the hours of multiple calls, transfers, and unhelpful people I had spoken with (actually, only one was nice and tried to be helpful), I didn’t trust the person who told me it was cared for. I wanted to make sure that the item was received safely, and to avoid it getting lost in the mail or damage, I decided to bring it to the store myself. When I arrived, with the unboxed item, I explained what had happened to the sales associate, and gave full disclosure as to the mix-up.

He accepted the instant pot back, no further questions asked, and handed me a receipt and told me my money would be returned to the account that was used for the purchase. A number of days passed and I noticed my money hadn’t been refunded. So...back to hours and multiple calls, on hold, transfers to people who couldn’t help me. So, I then called the store and spoke with an assistant manager who referred me back to the customer service line. They referred back to the store. The stock manager finally found the package and they sent it via UPS on the 10th...TEN DAYS after I returned it to the store... And I still didn’t have my money back. The package, per UPS tracking, was delivered to their warehouse on the 14th. Now, we are at the 19th day of the month, and I STILL DO NOT HAVE A REFUND, 19 DAYS AFTER RETURNING THE ITEM TO A WILLIAMS-SONOMA STORE!!!

I just called again, and was told that they didn’t receive it!!! They miraculously found it after I provided a tracking number. Then they said it could take up to FIVE MORE DAYS for my refund to reflect in my account!!! When I asked the girl how it is that W-S can hold on to money when an item has been returned, she wouldn’t let me talk and wouldn’t listen to me, and at that point I lost it and demanded to speak with a manager.

She put me on hold and another customer service rep answered, said there was no way I was going to speak with a manager, and then said there was a poor connection and she would call me right back (after repeating my number). Guess what?? She never called me back! Does any company allow us to walk out of their store with merchandise without giving them the funds to pay for it? NO, of course not! But yet when I return an item that I paid for, and now 19 days later I still don’t have my $173.34 back, that is unacceptable. They have lost this customer forever!

Williams-Sonoma expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Browse indoor and outdoor home furnishings and décor online or at stores across the United States. Free design services and credit cards rewards are available.

• Services: In-store product training and free knife sharpening.

• Shipping: Front door delivery and Premium White Glove service delivery options.

• Returns: Eligible items can be returned within 30 days. Customized orders are not eligible for returns.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs