2.19/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Williams-Sonoma

Looking for a good furniture store?

290 Williams-Sonoma Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 7, 2019

I wish I could give zero stars for their customer service. I purchased a Cuisinart Food processor online in April. Immediately upon receiving it, it looked to be cheaply made and did not work well. I returned it. Here we are in July and after numerous e-mails back and forth. Everyone telling me my gift card was on the way. I was even given an exact date once and told the gift card would arrive to me USPS on June 10th. Lies. I made a complaint with the BBB and a manager called me. She promised me this would be resolved within a couple days. That was 2 weeks ago. Now she never answers her phone. This is my second time with a similar experience with this company.

First time I thought it was a bad luck, but after this second occurrence and reading other peoples reviews with similar experiences, it's obvious this company is corrupt. So I have no product and I have no refund. I will never never buy anything from this company again. This is why Amazon has taken over the retail world. Companies like Williams-Sonoma don't care about their customers. Just a bunch over overpriced items and horrible customers service.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I've received three email promotions from this company over the past few weeks for 25% off plus free shipping. The first time that I tried to use it (the same day email received mind you) it said that it expired. The next two times that I tried to use it on the different occasions that I received the promo email, it said that I used the promo code already even though I had never purchased anything. Be careful of this company's bait and switch tactics.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I purchased a $65 de buyer dbl boiler. After a couple uses it started leaking. I returned it under warranty. It took several months but no real issues. Received a new one, same thing, after a few uses started leaking. Returned again under warranty. Received another replacement, again after 3 uses, started leaking. It was just under a year old so I called on 4/22/19 and told them I just wanted a refund bc after 3 units, there is clearly a defect in the design. I was told, "No problem, we will issue a gift card." Well it is now June 19th, after a dz emails and over a dozen phone calls, I am still waiting for my gift card. I keep getting excuses and lied to.

First it took weeks to get the UPS return shipping label (that was 4 phone calls), then UPS was supposed to p/u at my house, never happened, so I dropped it off at UPS store. They received it and still no gift card, after many, many phone calls, where I was told it was stuck in processing, the gift card was defective and re-issued, we don't have your address verified (have had dozens of items shipped to same address for 7 years without issue), we don't have your current email (really, cuz I have 6 emails in June from you people regarding this matter), it's coming USPS, no it's UPS, oh why doesn't UPS ship to your town?, oh we'll just credit back to your cc, oh wait it's shipped USPS here's tracking # (fake tracking #), we'll rush ship but no tracking # available. Sigh. 2 months of lies and excuses and fake apologies for a defective product that is still on sale at their store and online.

My reviews keep getting taken down, apparently they only like stellar reviews, not honest ones. I was supposed to get gift card today via USPS, never showed up. Again, I called and was told it will be here tomorrow, June 20th now via UPS, 5 min later, "No it's USPS bc UPS doesn't ship to your town." BS!!!! UPS comes to my neighborhood 2x a day 6 days per week. So after 2 bs phone calls to customer svc today with nothing but lies and excuses, and getting disconnected while waiting for a supervisor, I decided to call corporate.

Called corporate 2x and was sent to surprise surprise voicemail. I have been a customer for over 10 years, bought all my all clad cookware, shun cutlery and gourmet food products, etc. Spending thousands of dollars at this company in the last 10 years and I have never had to deal with bs like this before, ever. Telling me after 7 years at this address that they don't have my correct address on file or correct email. And today they don't have my correct phone #, had same phone # for 15+ years. DO NOT buy anything from them. This company is clearly going down in flames and screwing over their customers left and right. I thought it was just me till I started reading the dozens of other complaints just from this year alone. Williams-Sonoma is done.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Went from a 4 burner Char-Broil to this unit. It is considerably better built than the CharBroil as is all stainless steel. Only a 3 burner plus side burner but plenty adequate. It has a built-in thermometer in the hood but better to use actual meat thermometer for accurate temperatures of whatever you happen to be cooking.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I ordered pot rack hooks on April 11th, order number **. As soon as I placed the order, I realized I ordered the wrong amount, I wanted only 2 and accidentally ordered 12. I called to change/cancel and was told as many others here have said, couldn't guarantee it would be cancelled, nor could it be changed. I was told to refuse the order if it ships. TWO DAYS later it shipped, bad business if a requested order cancellation can not be done within two days! The order was refused upon delivery and went right back, delivered on April 26th. As of June 14th, there is still no refund for this refused order. It seems this will have to be disputed through the cc company now and will never do business with this place again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Williams-Sonoma?

Original review: June 11, 2019

I had 3 orders cancelled in the last two weeks. No explanation or phone call or email to inform me. I have called customer service 4 time. Spent hours on the phone. Promised callback and transferred more times than I can count. The customer service is not helpful and uninformed. I will never try to order from them again. I'm taking my 10k order elsewhere.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I placed an order 6/5 with a delivery listed as either 6/10 or 6/11 which is strange on its own. As of 6/10 it was still listed as "preparing to ship" so I called customer service, she placed a new order for a similar item that is ready to bake instead of being baked with expected delivery of 6/13; she said the system did not offer next day shipping. Once I got the email I see the new order is cancelled! When I called customer service she told me if they say it will be delivered it will be, that they use 2 day service and when I questioned the fact that if they haven't shipped it by today it can't arrive tomorrow as promised she said it will. Absolutely clueless. This was being sent due to a death in the family. I was told to call back if it isn't delivered and they'll refund my money, as though that makes it OK. Was a schlock organization!

Original review: June 6, 2019

I tried to select something online and was informed that this product is only in stores (none near me). So would they then ship it to me? Of course not. So I will never buy ANYTHING from Williams-Sonoma.

Original review: May 28, 2019

As I was checking out, I noticed a basket of reduced food items next to the counter. I lifted a tin of shortbread and was enthusiastically encouraged by the cashier to buy them (“Such a great deal! Delicious!”). I returned home and opened the tin, immediately sensing a stale smell of coming from the bag of plastic inside the tin. I tasted one, spit it out, tasted another, spit it out — the cookies were rancid and inedible. I returned to the store a couple of days later to bring this to their attention and request a refund. The same sales lady from the day of purchase informed me there are no returns on food items, even spoiled ones. And that the discount should have alerted me that they were expired(!). Well, I had no idea they were expired, 6 months expired! Shocking. My concern is, how does a store in good conscience knowingly sell expired food products?

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had gone to a Williams-Sonoma store with cash money to pay for a sisal rug 9x12. The salesperson had to order online and thus took the cash and put it on a gift card. 2 weeks after I called in to cancel the rug as my client requested it to be. I had not yet received the rug, the rug pad so I said, "Please send me a check for the return via corporate". I waited 2 weeks and no check. Finally I received a gift card back and for about $300 less than I paid! I also wanted just how paid with cash, so I expected a check back for the return. After talking with store management, I was told that’s all they can do and I would have to “take it up with customer service...” In all of this back and forth I was hung up on, put on hold for an excess of 10 minutes or more, accused of cursing out staff, and being “difficult”.

Just want to know where my total payment went and just want to be refunded for an item that had been canceled before it was even delivered. That’s all.

I have been shopping at WS and its companies for over 15 years now, and never has it been this horrendous and painful just to be treated as a normal customer. I never wanted a conflict or a problem, just wanted to be refunded the amount owed back to my client, so I can proceed with my project, as been over a month of this. Just exhausted and very angry at their process, customer service and false accusations and promises.

Original review: May 10, 2019

The plastic salt and pepper grinder finally showed up a month later marred and unacceptable. (I only learned they were "Out Of Stock" after clicking the Purchase button. Their Ordering Site was awkward and counterintuitive to use.) Email Updates were MIA, or wrong. After the call to return, I knew that the excessive price was refunded thanks only to Paypal. WS lost no time in asking me to rate the call recipient. The WS website continues to malfunction as I try to return their product. No email arrived with the promised "Return Label", and the "Return" function on their website refuses to provide a Return Label. This upscale retailer (mis)performs like a mass market discount retailer. Senior Management of WS should be ashamed.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I purchased a Breville oven 2 weeks ago and today it went on sale for $54.00 less than I paid. I called customer service for a credit and was told that Williams-Sonoma "never" credits an item once purchased. Lesson learned. They have lost a loyal customer. M ** St. Augustine Florida.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have a real issue with the way my most recent orders were handled by Williams-Sonoma. I ordered 3 Easter baskets for my kids who live in another state. One received her order as planned. The other 2 orders were back-ordered; however, I did not receive an email notification that this had happened. If I had, I would have had time to cancel those baskets and order something else. But by the time I found out (by following up on the order myself) it was too late to get a replacement item in time for Easter.

I called and spoke with customer service and expressed my dissatisfaction with the whole situation. All she could tell me was that the basket was from a 3rd party vendor and Williams-Sonoma had no control over their inventory or processes. I told her that WS vendors represent WS, and I expect the same level of service regardless of where the product is coming from.

She indicated the item was expected to arrive on Monday, 4/22. At this point I just contacted my kids and apologized that it was going to be late. On Tuesday, 4/23, late in the evening I received an email that my order had been canceled due to product unavailability. I was furious. I've purchased many things from WS over the years. My expectation for WS customer service is much higher than the level of service I received on this order. Atrocious.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have been trying to order 4 Fitzgerald side chairs for some time now. Promotional codes or free shipping codes don't work even when they send me codes. The website often says the chairs are 20% off, but are always listed at $250.00, sale or no sale. They can't send a sample of the satin finish and don't have any sample in the 3 Twin Cities stores for me to go look at.

The 2 to 4 week "quick ship" fabric and finish I tried to order has a 8 to 10 week delivery date! I also can't order these in a store and have it shipped to the store. I tried. Even the salesperson got super frustrated at how lousy the customer service people were. It's really hard to do business with them. They used to be a good company.

Original review: April 23, 2019

DO NOT BUY I opened a card to buy a large purchase ($250). The rewards are not remotely worth it and they try everything to NOT give you a discount or free shipping. I was charged $27 due to a small banking error. I immediately rectified it but was told that the fee could not be waived despite paying early and in full. I spoke to customer service about this issue and they refused to rectify it despite this being something that cost them no money. I even tried to see if they would reduce the fee. Nothing.

The product I bought was definitely not worth the amount of time money and energy I have spent on this issue. Trust me, this discount for this card is nowhere near worth it. I will no longer be shopping here, and I can assure you, I will be telling this to every single person I personally know in the professional/televised cooking world. BTW They charge you $9 by the way to pay over the phone. This review above is counter to every other review I have come across and clearly has been created to promote the card and is unbiased.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Watch, watch, WATCH the prices and sale prices. I saw a bunny bowl that was $99.95 in store. Waited to see if it would go on sale. Of course, closer to Easter, sales started and the bowl was 30% off ($69.97) and free shipping. I ordered it online because I don’t have a store close to where I live. Ordered it on Saturday 4/20, mid-afternoon. Next day, Sunday 4/21, the bowl goes on sale again and is now down to $49.99. I immediately call back and ask for a price adjustment. I’m promptly told that they DO NOT offer price adjustments on previously placed orders.

Hang on....FIRST, the item went on sale within 24 hours of the order being placed. SECOND, if you purchase an item in store, generally within a week of the item goes on sale, you are able to receive a price adjustment, provided you bring the receipt with you into the store. THIRD, I asked why this terrible policy isn’t readily visible on website or on receipt and the customer service rep (Heather) said she was following company policy. She put me on hold then came back and said she was able to make a ONE-time price adjustment but the difference would be applied to a MERCHANDISE CREDIT, which would be mailed to me. I will not make another purchase from this GREATLY overpriced store and I will not promote their products by word of mouth. With competition as fierce as it is today and brick and mortar stores RAPIDLY shutting down, Williams-Sonoma really needs to review and revamp their policies.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I placed an order for the first time online, took advantage of the WS credit card - requested my order ship urgent to be delivered by 4/19 to my son for Easter - website very misleading and lead me to believe my order would arrive as requested. After I placed the order and I received a confirmation, I never saw a delivery date etc. I called customer service 4 times... Each CS rep said she could not see/view/ confirm the order. My 5th call, rep said my son would not receive the PARTIAL order until 4/23!!! I requested to speak with a manager! The manager reiterated there was nothing she could do and didn't even offer an apology! It's the principal of it all! Website very misleading, very vague regarding delivery date and now my son and his wife will receive Easter gift next week!!!! I am very disappointed with WS even though they are overpriced etc. I was willing to give them a shot! I regret doing so!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I called Williams-Sonoma to order a coffee machine, placed order on April 11th. As soon as order was placed, it showed July 3rd delivery date. I immediately cancelled, clerk said, she couldn't guarantee it would be cancelled. Called Lee, supervisor, same story, can't guarantee it will be cancelled. I have never done business with a company with policies like this. It also states after the fact that this item can't be returned. Why would I place an order to be delivered in July, I bought it elsewhere for less. Needless to say, spending hours on the phone with Williams-Sonoma is not a pleasant experience. I am disputing with Amex and blocking them from charging my card, and I will never do business with Williams-Sonoma again.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I found a Calphalon cookware set on sale for $639. On the product page for that item it said to enter code Spring for 20% discount. Upon checkout it would not honor the code. Spoke to a girl in customer service and she verified that because it was on the product page that they would have to honor it. I decided I would open up a Williams-Sonoma credit card. The customer service girl (Shauna) stated that I would need to make the purchase and once I order and give her the order number she will put a credit through for the 20% discount. She advised that she will wait on the line while I completed my purchase.

Once the purchase was completed (on 04/07/10 @ 4:50 pm) Shauna advised that she credited my account. She advised that it would reflect on my new credit card account. Once I received the credit card I went to create an account online for paperless billing. At that point I realized that no discount was given. Called customer service on 04/15/19 @ 6:30 and spoke with Lori who advised that they will not honor the discount.

This is complete fraud. I would not have made the purchase if there was no discount. Shauna advised that the price would be 20% less but Lori advised that she sent it to accounting and they denied the request. Please beware when making purchases. This is beyond poor business practice. This is downright fraud. Telling customers the price is one thing and then billing another only to tell them too bad when you call them out on it. Will be returning the set and closing my Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn credit cards. There are far too many places to shop.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I received a gift along with a gift receipt. I realize it had been purchased more than 30 days prior, but I was honest and took the receipt along with the item (in original packaging and never opened) to my local store. I had to wait for the manager to become available. He was in the backroom and appeared unwilling to speak with me until I insisted on speaking with him. He told me there was a 30 day return policy and corporate had stressed this recently. No exceptions. I do understand the policy, but I had only received this gift a few days before. I told him I would be perfectly happy with a merchandise credit. He declined. I want Williams Sonoma to know I have been a faithful customer, even waiting weeks for the delivery of my Nespresso machine. At a cost of $39.95 Williams Sonoma has lost a customer.

Original review: March 28, 2019

JUST DON'T SHOP HERE ANYMORE! I was told I could add on the free shipping when they found my order in their system, since I called immediately after placing the order, realizing I had forgotten to put in the code. So I called back a day later, as told. WTF, only to hear "It is not their policy to return shipping and handling fees," which is the only way I buy heavy things like cookware. I asked to speak to a supervisor. "They'll call you back early next week." Didn't happen. I cannot believe how this chain has gone downhill. I will go to a store tomorrow and see what someone can tell me face-to-face. Never again will I set foot in a Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, or any of their gang. Shame on them all.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a 1500.00 cookware set online and after a while was disappointed in the way it cooked and unable to clean properly. I called customer service and they said to take the set in the store and they give me a store credit to purchase a new set. Drive 40 min to the store and they say they can't do anything because the online group started the return. Fast forward 4 calls to the store and 8 calls to customer's service, I was told to come in and pick up my stuff and mail it back myself. The store was told that by the customer service group. Everyone blames each other and the customer pays the price. Terrible, Terrible service.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I placed an order for an Espresso Machine on February 5th, 2019. It stated it was Fast Free Shipping, and I thought; "Great!". Fast forward to receiving the email confirmation after completing the purchase that the estimated arrival date would be April 25th. Yes, April 25th. About 12 weeks, which is ridiculous when it states "fast free shipping" in bright red, next to the order button for the item. I contacted them numerous times to have the order canceled, nothing. Every response I get is just a giant circle of pre drilled comments and no resolution.

So, now I am stuck waiting for an expensive espresso machine I could have easily ordered on Amazon. Avoid Williams Sonoma at all costs, the customer service is HORRIBLE. The advertising is false, although they claim it is not. Honestly, if you are wanting to buy anything from this company, either buy it in person or go to Amazon and find it there. Hopefully this review will help you avoid the mistake I made ordering with them.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I placed an order of hand blender from Williams-Sonoma online on February 8 2019. On its website, it says Free FAST shipping over $49. NO PLACE on the page tells it is going to ship from the vendor so it is a special order. Cannot be returned. I bought it and waited. I have called customer service several times and I was told to wait and it will delivered by Friday. The order status was not changed to "shipped" until March 7 2019. Nothing has changed since then and I called the customer service on March 21 2019 again to check the status. They tell me that they have no record shows I have called before and for the order, they will recreate a UPS tracking number for me and I can expect it at April 18 2019 as it will be shipped from vendor!! What??? I requested to cancel to order and they had to agree as it has took so long.

This is the most ridiculous shopping experience I have ever had. The custom service just lie to you it will come on Friday to get rid of you. And on their online page, you do not get correct/real shipping information. I left an honest review under the item and point out the missing information the customer should realize, of course, they delete it. Try avoid this online store as it is the worst.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I ordered multiple items from Williams-Sonoma online early in March, 2019. There was no indication anything was "back ordered." I called twice to check on them and every time got a different story about when I could expect them. On March 18 I was told it would be shipped and when I attempted to question the representative, he hung up on me! TELL JEFF BEZOS TO BUY WILLIAMS-SONOMA SO WE DON'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS KIND OF TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

In early January I used a gift card online to purchase a Le Creuset piece. That wasn't the problem. I had to submit my email in order to track shipping, which makes sense. HOWEVER, they signed me up for their ** email subscription WHICH WILL NOT STOP. I have unsubscribed at least a dozen times!!! It's now mid-March and I got yet ANOTHER one today! What in the actual hell? I'm livid. It's not just from Williams Sonoma, it's from all of their sister companies. Pottery Barn, Mark and Graham, Pottery Barn Kids, West Elm, and any other company they own. I get ALL the emails, no matter how many times I unsubscribe. For a high end company, they don't have their online ** together!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I recently purchased a set of four $49.95 AERIN coasters on the Williams-Sonoma website. Inside the shipping carton arrived a ratty box that looked like it had been shoved around the storeroom for years -- dirty and scratched. And two of the coasters appeared to be stained. (I'm really glad I didn't have this shipped this to someone as a gift!) I took them to my nearest W-S store (NYC-Manhattan-Chelsea) -- which was practically empty on a Saturday (overpriced goods and lousy service, perhaps?). I was told I had to return the coasters by shipping them back to the distribution center since I bought them online -- even though a new set was sitting right there on the shelf.

I wrote review similar to this on the W-S website, but it was never approved for publication, nor was I contacted by anyone in customer service to remedy the situation. Bottom line: poorly run store with overpriced merchandise and insolent help. I will not shop there again, nor at its overpriced Pottery Barn sibling. In today's competitive e-tail market, I give it two more years to survive, if that.

Original review: March 9, 2019

This is the worst credit card company in the United States of America, hands down! I applied with Williams-Sonoma for this card, and was told that I would receive my card in seven business days. Two weeks later, I called the jerks in Florida, to see why I had no card, and was told that a letter had been mailed out to me. I asked the representative to explain what the letter was about and she refused. I asked for a supervisor and she was totally rude, purposeless and argumentative. Before I hung up on her, I made sure she knew that I would never do business with a company like Comenity anyway, and I finished it off by telling her exactly what I thought of her and her position there.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Chairs in stock item, quick ship. Delivery date set & confirmed. 1 day prior cancelled saying items not there, despite acknowledgment 5 days before. LOTS of more snafus & miscues. CHAIRS STILL NOT HERE & dining room unusable til they arrive. This is 2nd POOR experience with WS Home over past few years. Previously they were FAB. Everything seems to be decentralized, farmed out & no accountability. SAD situation for what used to be a top notch company. AND the "white glove" delivery is anything but! Drop & run more like it!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I have been trying to resolve an issue with a damaged piece for over a week. I have made 7 phone calls to set up UPS to pick up the package at my moms home. No one called or has shown up. Yesterday the UPS came to my home in another state with the label! I repeat my story over and over and have spelled every word out for at least 5 of the customer service reps. They get it wrong and it is still not resolved. This company has really failed and would be better off shutting down. Not to mention even sending out a bent frying pan! So much for their quality control. Never Again Williams Sonoma, you have lost a customer and many more to come. 7 days of hell to try to get my mom her credit due!

Williams-Sonoma expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Browse indoor and outdoor home furnishings and décor online or at stores across the United States. Free design services and credit cards rewards are available.

• Services: In-store product training and free knife sharpening.

• Shipping: Front door delivery and Premium White Glove service delivery options.

• Returns: Eligible items can be returned within 30 days. Customized orders are not eligible for returns.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs