1.15/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

233 Williams-Sonoma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I bought two Scanpan skillets, priced around $140.00. One was visibly defective- had a bump in the center of it, other barely passed the quality- had a smaller bump but would still be considered defective by hyped advertising promises of Scanpan manufacturer. Return was painful- had to wait in the line for about 40 minutes- very slow service (Chicago Lincoln Park store).

I’m really annoyed by Williams Sonoma fake sales where prices on the upscale merchandise are always high (unreal and nowhere existing suggested prices) and barely ever included in their promotions. Constantly receiving promotion codes like 20% off plus free shipping that don’t work at the checkout though company is NOT included in the list of exclusions. Once, called Williams Sonoma regarding this, waiting 20 minutes while representative was trying to figure out why code wasn’t working with no results. They are confused with their so many companies they owe so they don’t know which code apply to what company. Today received an email from them about their another “sale” which stated E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G (in bold letters like this) on sale with most companies not included in the promotion- a very misleading advertising. Word everything means everything. Very annoying and untrusted tactic.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Horrible! Ordered a bar with mirror. In the picture it shows a light grey. When we received it the mirror was not as shown and the bar was a greenish color and way too boxy looking. We ordered through our designer who said that if we did not like the piece customer service said that they would refund full price. Now my designer is saying something different! Will keep posted if we get our refund or we will be going to court as this is a 2,900 piece of furniture that we have no use for!!!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My pie dish arrived in 50 pieces -the package it came in was crushed -there was NO packing to cushion this ceramic pie plate at all. Asked for refund and will never attempt ordering from Williams-Sonoma again! I will also warn others about their inferior shipping practices. It was a waste of time and product for both of us. Sooo disappointed. Cancelled Christmas gifts I had chosen for fear of the same disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My wife and I ordered the Weston Large Capacity Digital Dehydrator for a shower my wife was attending. We ordered it in September and after multiple times we were lied to about its location. We were told that a supervisor will call about the location of our product. No one ever called. We were told that they will reimburse us but that does us no good in the position we were put in. The supervisors only apologized but did nothing else. I honestly am embarrassed that we even registered at Williams-Sonoma. I will never shop here again. People please use Crate and Barrel as they are more reliable. They are always responsive and we have never had a product lost or misplaced.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I ordered two lucite stools in APRIL. Delivery was meant to be in JUNE. In JULY I was told one was defective and they couldn't redeliver until OCTOBER. I only found this out because I called and waited on hold for hours to finally the get the update. They were to be delivered today and only one arrived. The other one is on a truck... somewhere. No one can tell me and so far I've been on hold for a manager for 90 minutes. The level of incompetence I have experienced is literally unprecedented. Be warned - STAY FAR, FAR AWAY! It's just not worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Williams-Sonoma?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I returned $350.00+ worth of towels because they were the wrong color on 9/26/2018. On 10/11, I called customer service to get an update on the return and credit. After a one (1) hour long telephone call, I was told by a WS rep that my return was not completely processed and that they would do that now and to expect a credit within 5 to 7 business days. Today, on 10/19, I called customer service back to get an update on the return and credit. After a one hour and 20 minute (1:20) long telephone call, I was told by another WS rep that she didn't see any notation from the first rep and that they had no proof of my return. This rep, she TOO was going to call the warehouse to find my return, have it processed and to expect a credit in 5 to 7 business days. Very shady if you want to know my true feelings. I will be back to report the progress on this second inquiry next week.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I love the shape of the chandelier - but the pictures online show tall shades that are a lovely white or just a tiny bit beige - - but when I opened the box today, I pulled out the ugly, cheap, yellowish paper shades which I can't possibly use. Yes, the chandelier was several hundred off, on sale, but now I have to spend at least $200 to get new shades. No wonder it was "non-returnable." AND I had to pay a $110.00 shipping fee. Outrageous! Never again. This is my third negative experience with WS - I'm done.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

In two days I purchased merchandise worth $1000 from both the store and online. This morning I wanted to buy Le Creuset Panini grill and press along with some spoons. This promo appeared: Enjoy 15% off + free shipping for orders 49+ enter promo code: MP9S-7MPN-CF4L. When I entered the code it stated that it's an invalid code. Usually if the code doesn’t work it will be displayed above the promo box and it'll state items are not eligible but this was different stating that the code is invalid. Called three times to figure out why was I given an invalid code.

Last phone call the lady was like "I will honor the code for you.” After she took the credit card she charged me the full amount and obviously the biggest achievement was that she gave me free shipping. I could've bought from Amazon and gotten free prime two day shipping for the same price. The way they dismiss your concern is very disappointing. After buying all those pans from them I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I ordered dining room chairs in April that had an anticipated delivery date in July. It is now mid September and they are only able to deliver 3 of 4 chairs. The 3 chairs have now been sitting in a warehouse waiting on delivery for several months. No one can provide any update as to when the order can actually be fulfilled. The only response is a canned apology, the representation that they have contacted their vendor and will provide an update. Never once has Williams Sonoma contacted me - they have only responded to my repeated requests. When asked if they can reorder, I was advised that newly placed orders have an anticipated October delivery date. It has now been almost 5 months and I still do not have dining room chairs and there is no estimate as to when they will ever be able to fulfill my order.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I ordered a Breville toaster oven from WS. Within a few minutes I decided to cancel the order because my husband said he had an extra one at his office. I called within 30 minutes of placing the order and was told they would put in my request. They don't have a way for you to just do that yourself online. When I got no confirmation of cancellation within a few hours I called again and got same story. Next day I still had no cancellation confirmation so I called a third time with request. I was told there was no guarantee of cancellation. When I complained they hung up on me. Today I got shipment confirmation. Great. When I checked online the toaster oven is not returnable either. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Don't buy anything from them. There are plenty of other companies that actually care about their reputation.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I purchased a gift card as a gift for a wedding in July. I paid with my credit card and expected this very simple transaction to be completed in time for the wedding. It is now September and the bride and groom still do not have my gift and I am beyond embarrassed and furious!! Williams-Sonoma has had my money for months. So many emails back and forth to customer service that I have lost count and many telephone calls that were a complete waste of my time and energy. How can a company that touts its products like they are better than other stores treat customers the way they do and get away with it? Still going back and forth with them, but it is a ridiculous situation! How difficult is it to send a freaking gift card? OMG... They need so much help in so many different ways. I will never, ever shop there or buy anything online from them again! Still waiting for what I have already paid for!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

What a hideous experience. No one at this company gives a damn about their customer. In the Stamford store as well as online. I ordered 2 items as a gift & wanted them shipped together. One was backordered. They couldn't coordinate shipping it together. Then they couldn't cancel it. The customer service guy Isaac actually said these words to me when I asked to speak to a manager "I can try to transfer you and you will have to hold on for at least 5 minutes. If no one answers I will put in a request to have a manager call you back." Are they serious? They can't ship 2 items together and then they can't cancel both items. Disgusting. Will never shop here again.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I was at Williams-Sonoma at the Falls in Miami, FL. I was looking at a round cake pan, when the large, heavy sheet pan and cooling rack on the shelf above came down and hit above my eye and cheekbone. It caused an abrasion and blurry vision. The associate witnessed it and did not ask if I was ok. Instead she told me a customer was playing with that pan last night and they must have not secured it correctly. I walked out and began feeling a massive headache and blurred vision. I called Amy in corporate who asked me to go back and fill out an incident report. I went back and met with the store manager who was extremely dismissive of the issue. She said the associate had asked if I was ok and I said yes. This is totally false!

The associate didn't ask me anything of the sort. She then said that she would take down my name and number to take my statement. She didn't need me to come back to the store. She said she didn't have the paperwork and that corporate was faxing it. Then she proceeded to tell me that I should have asked to fill out an incident report! Train your staff or yourself to do that!!! I went to urgent care and noticed when I got out that I still hadn't received a call from the store. I called Amy at corporate again and complained about the dismissive nature and the fact that the store manager said I, as the customer, should have known to ask for the incident report.

Corporate was also dismissive and said that she sent over the forms via fax and that the store manager was following procedure and should call me. This all happened at 12 pm. It is now 4:42 pm and the store manager has had the paperwork for over 3 hours. An incident report should be handled with a sense of urgency, and it could have been my child who was hit on the head! They are not checking their displays, even when they see customers putting it back. It was not secured and because of that, I have an abrasion on my head and a headache that has been going on for the last 4-5 hours even after taking medication. In my opinion, they could not care less about the customers that walk through their door!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I have now tried and waited twice with an email through their website for customer service regarding a product they sent me for final sale that sss clearly previously used and or factory damaged - I’m not sure. We have a SodaStream that I gave my husband for our anniversary that massively leaks every time you use it and a small back piece is missing we discovered. I have contacted customer service twice now and I can’t get anyone to respond to me. For a high end company this is beyond ridiculous. Why even have a customer service email if no one responds to it. I’m pissed and I will be taking it further up the chain. I’m a high level retail exec in another SF company and will be reaching out to let their upper management teams know about this.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I purchased an item online w/ a gift card. The item I received was smaller than expected so I went into my local store in Danbury, CT and wanted to return the item and get the same item but larger. A simple exchange. Should not be that difficult. The store was very chaotic - A/C was broken (apparently for past 3 weeks - mid summer) - extremely hot! I found my item I wished to purchase after the return. The processing of the return took two people and about 20-25 minutes. Computers must be over 20+ years old and extremely slow - no urgency at all from the employees.

Once the return was complete the store was unable to issue me a gift card on the spot or give me my credit - they told me a physical gift card would have to be sent out in the mail and then I would have to come back and purchase the new item. Williams-Sonoma has been around a long time but it looks like they have changed one bit in that time frame. They desperately to update technology & the processes in place otherwise they will fail! I also called Customer service who could not get me a supervisor on the phone - wait times were too long (no surprise) - and was promised a call back in 24-48 hours. I never received that call. Horrible experience. Will shop at Wayfair or Amazon in the future. Much better experience, service, and pricing.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

If I could give this place negative stars I would. I bought a popcorn popper here. It worked horribly. I went to take it back (it was less than 30 days). I was told I couldn't take it back, because the price ended in .97, .98 or .99 which means it's a clearance item. Unbeknownst to me, it was a final sale. No one told me that when I bought it of course. When I went to take it back (which I thought would be painless, since it had been less than 30 days and I had the receipt), the manager said she wouldn't give me a refund. She told me I had to exchange it for something else, but I had to choose something else THAT day. I would have accepted store credit, but she said I had to pick something in that shopping trip. I didn't need anything at the time!

Me and 4 kids are wandering in the store literally for hours. I'm looking around (of course everything costs an arm and a leg) at a bunch of stuff I don't either have the money for or just don't need. They have food there, but we're vegan and I wasn't there to buy food. Anyway, we had a lot more errands we were supposed to run, but instead, we ended up with sore feet and a bag of stuff we never intended to buy (and didn't really want, just trying to use up the credit). I told the employee that this was the worst shopping experience of my life, and I wouldn't be back. Thanks Williams-Sonoma for making my first purchase my last and I hope your great return policy leads you straight into bankruptcy.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Ordered over $1000 worth of goods. I was supposed to get an advertised free gift. 5 months later I haven't received anything. I called 2 weeks ago and I was told it would be “expedited” and I should receive it in less than a week. 2 weeks later I called again and asked for a supervisor. I was disconnected. I called again and asked for a supervisor and was hung up on this time by Britney. I then called corporate customer service in California. They were too important to actually answer the phone so I left my contact information as prompted by their answering machine. They never bothered to contact me. Do yourselves a favor and SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! Just look at their abysmal rating on this site and many others. It's a pattern not an isolated incidence. As far as I’m concerned they can keep the gift. I’m done. It’s just not worth it. SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I ordered a runner for my table on a Thursday, July 26th, and checked the box for “Next Day” delivery. I paid a whopping 28.00 to get it, because I wanted it for a party on Sunday. It said “Order by 6:00 pm EST.” I ordered it at 1:00 pm Pacific time, which would’ve been 3:00 pm EST. No problem right? When I hadn’t received it by Friday night, I called and spoke with a rep who informed me that they don’t offer Next Day delivery. Mind you, I had a printed receipt from my online order that said “Next Day” and “Delivery July 27” (I ordered it the 26th). The rep had me on the phone for 28 minutes and never resolved my issue, and had no explanation about why I hadn’t received it. She mumbled stuff about, “Well it’s the weekend, and we really don’t have Next day delivery." She said it would probably arrive Monday. Well that didn’t help me. I told her I should have just paid the regular shipping fee for 3-5 day delivery.

After arguing, she agreed to reimburse me 5.00. Really??? So, I tracked the shipping on Monday and it stated it would be delivered by the end of the day. Monday came and went. I called again, and was given the same run around. No one could find the package or where it was, and when I checked the tracking, it said, “No tracking info available.” Now it’s Tuesday, and I still don’t have my order. Needless to say, I will NEVER shop with Williams-Sonoma again, and I haven’t minded sharing my experience with my friends. Please don’t bother to placate me Williams-Sonoma with your useless effort at an apology. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced, and I’ve been in the business for years. #Nordstrom. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I attempted to earn merchandise credit for a gift I purchased 45 days ago -- two standard monogrammed glasses, $20 total: Letter M & Letter F. This was one part of a larger gift purchased for a wedding. - Still in pretty pineapple wrap, I learned from the associate that the policy was 30 days, and the item couldn't be returned OR exchanged OR merchandise credited AT ALL. My 100% loss. (And sorry that wedding date/gift tendered was when it was; most luxury stores have the same policy, "like Nordstrom")

She said she'd go talk to manager in the back. Came back to say that they'll offer a merchandise exchange BUT ONLY if I make that said exchange right now, this minute. Not tomorrow. Today. - Why do I have to exchange the merchandise today, this instant? I can't impulsively do that, plus that's an ultimatum. Because this "generous" flexibility is either that, or you lose out completely because our policy was initially 30 days.

I said, forget it. I won't, and I'll just leave completely. I don't want to own a grudge product. Wait! Ok, fine, (kindly) we don't want you to be upset. We'll override it and give your merchandise credit card after all, and for a purchase at another date. I asked, why didn't they just do that initially! That was my intent! Now I've "won", but with a sour taste from this store, never to return.

The associates weren't mean, just ridiculous in my opinion. I won't be buying anything more at this Highland Park, IL location, and certainly never again any unappealing & overpriced cup; items they clearly don't want in house either. Don't be sorry, just remember you lost a locally-based customer for $20. And, btw, for the record at Nordstrom, you don't even need a single receipt to return anything.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Imagine my shock when I returned a defective nesting bowl today and was told Williams-Sonoma never guarantees any product beyond 30 days. Shocking! I get better customer service at any discount store. This will be my last WS shopping.

Williams-Sonoma response

Hello Julie: My apologies for the poor experience you recently had when returning a Williams-Sonoma item. Our general return policy is 30 days, but we are more than willing to assist with any quality issues you experience. I just sent you a private message so when can discuss this further.

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
    Jamie

Williams-Sonoma Social Media Team

Original review: July 3, 2018

I ordered a monogrammed item from a wedding registry. I was told that I could input the initials to be monogrammed at the checkout screen. Turns out there is no place to input the initials. I attempted this 4 times to no avail. After speaking with customer service, I was told to order the item and then contact customer service and have the monogramming added. After 2 phone calls, 6 transfers to different departments (the last transfer being right back to the beginning department) I was told that because I made the order I could not change or alter it. Keep in mind this all took place a mere 1 HOUR after I placed the order online.

Finally I was told that there was nothing they could do. Thanks for the giant waste of time. I'll consider myself lucky if I even get the package in time for the wedding shower (in 3 weeks) at this point. No help, and despicable attitudes from numerous customer service agents. Total lack of caring or understanding, as if I was inconveniencing their day. I can find much better ways to overspend on crap made in China. Thank you very much.

Williams-Sonoma response

Hello Matthew: I am so sorry for the difficulties you experienced when trying to purchase a monogrammed item from Williams-Sonoma. I just sent you a message to assist.

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best regards,
    Jamie

Williams-Sonoma Social Media Team

Original review: July 2, 2018

I was encouraged to take your credit card in order to have free shipping. Send a lot of Williams-Sonoma gift items and your card was a perk until you changed the policy and began to charge for shipping from the store. Went online and the items I wanted to ship were only available in the store plus your online ordering is very slow. Very disappointed! Wasted a lot of time and not satisfied.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I placed an order 3 weeks ago, never received it. When I called several days ago they said it would be overnighted. Called again today because I never got it, product hasn't even been shipped yet. Now I'm going to a bridal shower without a gift I ordered 3 weeks ago. Customer service was not helpful at all. Don't waste your time and definitely not your money.

Original review: May 31, 2018

As a long time customer, I am stunned at the lack of customer service provided at Williams Sonoma. I was gifted a current, new item in the original box with a Williams Sonoma price sticker/barcode attached ($40). The item was not something I could use so I requested that I be able to exchange it towards some things that I was purchasing that totaled several hundred dollars. Because I did not have a receipt (it was a gift) I was very rudely told NO- no exchanges or store credit! I was stunned and explained that I was about to spend a great deal more than the amount of the exchange but was denied and treated like I was trying to scam them. I will no longer buy anything at Williams Sonoma if this is how they are going to treat customers. Very disappointed in their attitude and practices.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Like many others, I ordered two baskets online at their advertised price. I received a confirmation that my order was processed and confirmed. The next day, I received a cancellation of the order because they posted an incorrect price on their website. Customer service was no help and stood by the cancellation. Guess where I won't be shopping anymore???

Original review: May 22, 2018

I tried to buy five Williams-Sonoma Canterbury Picnic Baskets as they are normally priced at $249.99 but last week, through what I assume was a pricing snafu, were priced at $9.99. The Williams-Sonoma website accepted my order, sent a confirmation email, and charged the credit card $66.34 (that includes tax and shipping & handling). I called the customer service line today to see when the order would be shipped only to find out that my order had been cancelled, with no notification, because Williams-Sonoma doesn't honor purchases on improperly priced items. No joke. Customer service read a whole statement to me which included the words, "not bound by any law to honor inaccurate prices and by using the Williams-Sonoma website customers agree to the terms of service and use." Williams-Sonoma is already severely overpriced but now, on top of that, they have no honor and are completely untrustworthy.

FYI - I did some poking around online, it seems like there are laws that seem to require them to honor their pricing but when I called back, their customer service representative pointed me to some BS 'Inaccuracy Disclaimer' deep on their website which states: "Inaccuracy Disclaimer. From time to time there may be information on our Website or in our catalog that contains typographical errors, inaccuracies, or omissions that may relate to product descriptions, pricing, and availability. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update information at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your order). If you do not wish to continue your purchase after pricing or other information has been corrected, please contact us right away and we will work with you to cancel or return your order."

Original review: May 20, 2018

I purchased a 15 piece of All-Clad cookware on March 11, 2018. All-Clad had a promotion of a free lasagna pan with a $600 Purchase. To be claimed by completing a form and submitting it online. (All cookware sets were on sale at this time.) The fabulous salesperson wrote down exactly what needed to be populated when completing the form. She even verified that even though all cookware sets were on sale the customer was still entitled to the promotion. Williams Sonoma has informed me that I am not entitled to the promotion due to the cookware was on sale. If all cookware sets were on sale at this time it is a false promotion. Other stores had the same scenario for All-Clad cookware. Customer stated that are the rules they are required to abide by. I am very disappointed with William Sonoma, and feel the should honor the promotion.

Williams-Sonoma response

Hi Barbara- Thank you for taking the time to reach out. I want to apologize for your experience and I would like to offer to personally assist you with this. A private message has been sent and I look forward to hearing from you. Susan

Original review: May 19, 2018

It is unfair to cancel a customer's order that had been charged and confirmed because they made a mistake on their website. They made no attempt to make the situation right. I will be going to Sur La Table and Crate and Barrel for future home related purchases. Terrible customer service and business model. Honor my purchase!

Original review: May 19, 2018

From the previous post it seems that Williams-Sonoma has cancelled a number of its customers' orders over its own pricing error. They were clearly advertised online at a specific price, allowed orders and payments and then abruptly cancelled the next day. I received no notification that more order had been cancelled until I checked its status. I would think that to maintain some fragment of loyalty and trust with customers it should honor its advertised prices.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I placed an order for picnic baskets that were on sale yesterday on Williams-Sonoma's site. I received order confirmations yesterday however today Williams-Sonoma cancelled my order due to some glitch. I was told to reorder however the price today is significantly higher. Is this a bait and switch? I expected more from this retailer. If there was a glitch- they should still honor the price. As the customer- it wasn't my fault. This is something I would expect (and have seen) other retailers do. #WSdisappointment

Williams-Sonoma expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Browse indoor and outdoor home furnishings and décor online or at stores across the United States. Free design services and credit cards rewards are available.

• Services: In-store product training and free knife sharpening.

• Shipping: Front door delivery and Premium White Glove service delivery options.

• Returns: Eligible items can be returned within 30 days. Customized orders are not eligible for returns.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs