1.20/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Last updated: May 25, 2018

209 Williams-Sonoma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

Like many others, I ordered two baskets online at their advertised price. I received a confirmation that my order was processed and confirmed. The next day, I received a cancellation of the order because they posted an incorrect price on their website. Customer service was no help and stood by the cancellation. Guess where I won't be shopping anymore???

Original review: May 22, 2018

I tried to buy five Williams-Sonoma Canterbury Picnic Baskets as they are normally priced at $249.99 but last week, through what I assume was a pricing snafu, were priced at $9.99. The Williams-Sonoma website accepted my order, sent a confirmation email, and charged the credit card $66.34 (that includes tax and shipping & handling). I called the customer service line today to see when the order would be shipped only to find out that my order had been cancelled, with no notification, because Williams-Sonoma doesn't honor purchases on improperly priced items. No joke. Customer service read a whole statement to me which included the words, "not bound by any law to honor inaccurate prices and by using the Williams-Sonoma website customers agree to the terms of service and use." Williams-Sonoma is already severely overpriced but now, on top of that, they have no honor and are completely untrustworthy.

FYI - I did some poking around online, it seems like there are laws that seem to require them to honor their pricing but when I called back, their customer service representative pointed me to some BS 'Inaccuracy Disclaimer' deep on their website which states: "Inaccuracy Disclaimer. From time to time there may be information on our Website or in our catalog that contains typographical errors, inaccuracies, or omissions that may relate to product descriptions, pricing, and availability. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. reserves the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update information at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your order). If you do not wish to continue your purchase after pricing or other information has been corrected, please contact us right away and we will work with you to cancel or return your order."

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 20, 2018

I purchased a 15 piece of All-Clad cookware on March 11, 2018. All-Clad had a promotion of a free lasagna pan with a $600 Purchase. To be claimed by completing a form and submitting it online. (All cookware sets were on sale at this time.) The fabulous salesperson wrote down exactly what needed to be populated when completing the form. She even verified that even though all cookware sets were on sale the customer was still entitled to the promotion. Williams Sonoma has informed me that I am not entitled to the promotion due to the cookware was on sale. If all cookware sets were on sale at this time it is a false promotion. Other stores had the same scenario for All-Clad cookware. Customer stated that are the rules they are required to abide by. I am very disappointed with William Sonoma, and feel the should honor the promotion.

Williams-Sonoma response

Hi Barbara- Thank you for taking the time to reach out. I want to apologize for your experience and I would like to offer to personally assist you with this. A private message has been sent and I look forward to hearing from you. Susan

Original review: May 19, 2018

It is unfair to cancel a customer's order that had been charged and confirmed because they made a mistake on their website. They made no attempt to make the situation right. I will be going to Sur La Table and Crate and Barrel for future home related purchases. Terrible customer service and business model. Honor my purchase!

Original review: May 19, 2018

From the previous post it seems that Williams-Sonoma has cancelled a number of its customers' orders over its own pricing error. They were clearly advertised online at a specific price, allowed orders and payments and then abruptly cancelled the next day. I received no notification that more order had been cancelled until I checked its status. I would think that to maintain some fragment of loyalty and trust with customers it should honor its advertised prices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Williams-Sonoma?

Original review: May 18, 2018

I placed an order for picnic baskets that were on sale yesterday on Williams-Sonoma's site. I received order confirmations yesterday however today Williams-Sonoma cancelled my order due to some glitch. I was told to reorder however the price today is significantly higher. Is this a bait and switch? I expected more from this retailer. If there was a glitch- they should still honor the price. As the customer- it wasn't my fault. This is something I would expect (and have seen) other retailers do. #WSdisappointment

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: May 11, 2018

I ordered a teakettle for my friend as a wedding gift from the Williams-Sonoma website. The product did not say it was back ordered at the time I placed the order. I noticed when I looked a day later at my emailed receipt, and it said it was back ordered, but should arrive May 11. That was still ok, because her wedding is May 12. Well. It is now May 11, and I go to check for the shipping, only there is none. Because it is STILL back ordered. Now until May 24. May 24 is too late, I feel. So I decide to cancel the order and order the same teakettle on Amazon (should have done this to begin with). Except, they are not able to cancel the order since it has not been delivered yet. I am so frustrated. I will never order anything from their website again.

Williams-Sonoma response

Hi Emily, I'm sorry for the delay you experienced with the teakettle and certainly understand your frustration. A private message has been sent with more information and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. - Katie

Original review: April 29, 2018

I attempted to cancel and change an order. I was on hold for 40 minutes and was then told that it was too late to cancel the order. I asked to speak to a manager and was again put on hold. When the person came back on the phone, I was told that the manager would call me back within 2-3 business days!!! I have never experienced such poor customer "service." I WILL NEVER SHOP AT WILLIAMS-SONOMA AGAIN.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I placed an order for items sold through what Williams-Sonoma refers to as a vendor. When I realized that my order did not include free shipping because I didn't place a code in the check out I immediately called to ask them to apply the free shipping code. My shipping was $129.00. When the WS rep told me my items were not available for free shipping he said he would place a request to the vendor to cancel my order. He instructed me to call back in 24 hours to make sure my cancellation was processed.

I called back the next afternoon. I was told that the vendor hadn't responded to the request but that the order was not processed nor was it charged to my card. I was told not to be concerned that they allow vendors 48 hours to respond to cancellation requests. I was told to call back in 24 hours but that I should be receiving an email from the vendor stating that the order was cancelled. 24 hours later I called WS again as they had instructed. They shipped the order. They lied to me and strung me along knowing full well they weren't going to cancel the order. I am no longer a Williams-Sonoma customer.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I ordered a Miele Vacuum. As you know, these are not cheap. I received the item on time, however when I opened the box, a piece from the vacuum was broken. I called customer service and found that after spending over $900 on a broken product, it is now my responsibility to package it back up, take it to UPS and have it shipped back. This is unacceptable. Spending that much money, at the very least, they should make arrangements for UPS to pick it up from my house. I should not have to be the one to take time out of my day to runaround to find a UPS store.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Ordered Easter baskets for 6 grandchildren. Received all candy - no baskets - their advertising stated the basket came with the candy. Talked to 2 customer reps & 1 supervisor. Nothing. I like to go over the top with my grands. This year they get crap from Walmart.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I received the copper utensil sets as a present. On the box, clearly states dishwasher safe. I placed these in the dishwasher and when they were done, it’s like a peeling plastic coating all over the utensils. I’ve emailed customer service 3 times and have called twice. Finally they sent a replacement to be swapped out, only this time they forgot the measuring cups that are part of the set, THAT'S OVER $200!!! I’m incredibly angry and disappointed that they can’t even get a replacement right, after I’ve spent a month worth of emails and calls to try to get this fixed. As I type this, I’m on hold with them, 23 minutes now! Do yourself a favor and stay far away from this company. I will be returning all my recent purchases and obviously this item as well.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I’m simply trying to buy a couch, they have in a catalog. I’ve called several times. Gone to the store to ask questions and it seems nobody knows anything about the furniture. It’s very frustrating. It shouldn’t be this difficult.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I ordered from a bridal registry. Somehow there was a glitch that prevented the package from being sent to the couple. It came to me and this was a problem. However, the gifts were of the best quality.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Approximately 2-3 years ago when WS introduced their Smart Therm wireless thermometer, my husband gave me one for Christmas... the thing was $200. After much hassle, it finally worked pairing to my iPhone as it was designed to. It worked with no problem until several months ago Apple initiated an update which made the thermometer inoperable. After more hassle with CS, they admitted that the Apple update did not work with the original Smart Therm programming. If I would return my thermometer they'd replace it gratis with a newer version... which they did. It worked for a nanosecond... it still will not pair with my iPhone 7.

I have spent hours online and on the phone on hold trying to get this resolved... CS especially online does not know how to read despite my recounting of the detailed history and the issue. Yesterday I received a reply saying that they would either send me another replacement or a store credit for the smart therm 2(which was sent gratis)... I went back and asked how much of a store credit were they offering... I received another reply saying I'd need the original receipt... a receipt for a thermometer WS sent me gratis. I'm done with them.

Hello Gaye,

I'm very sorry to hear to hear this and would like to chat with you about it. I've sent you a private message with my contact information so we can discuss this further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Williams-Sonoma Social Media Team

Original review: March 11, 2018

I lived in California for 38 years and while there visited the first W-S store in Sonoma. That was many years ago and the customer service there was FIRST CLASS in every respect. But something has gone seriously WRONG with W-S in the past several years for them to have so so many angry and dissatisfied customers. After reading these extremely poor reviews I cannot spend the several hundred dollars I was going to spend with this company. I cannot take the risk with not getting the All-Clad and Wusthof Trident items I need nor do I have time to spend countless hours on the phone with a company customer service department that just couldn't give a damn. Will take my order to Amazon. It's a crying SHAME that W-S trains their customer service people this way. They will not be in business much longer if they don't change their mindset. It's all VERY SAD that management cannot manage this company properly.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I went to Williams-Sonoma to buy a coffee maker. We have bought a fully automatic espresso machine and it broke down after 1 year. Then I bought a Wilfa coffee maker and it only lasted 3 years. There was a recall on pump but I was never notified. I also have Nespresso maker that is still working. I went to buy a new machine and wanted recommendations for a reliable one. When I voiced my concerns about past machines the manager just turned cold and walked away. I was very polite and just wanted to find a new machine. I have spent over 1000 dollars on coffee makers from them. The lady working was like a used car salesman and was only trying to make a quick sale. This store was at Kenwood Mall in Cincinnati. I have always loved this store until now. For the price you pay for their products you would think service would be amazing. I will probably not go there again.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I hate Williams-Sonoma and will never shop here or anyone affiliated with them. I ordered a Xmas gift for my nephew that was advertised on sale (Star Wars spatulas). A week later I get a box and they had sent me a garlic press?? I call they say, "No prob. We’ll send you the right thing." Two weeks it never comes. I call and they say, "Oh it’s backordered." I argue with the woman about getting a refund because she says they didn’t charge me. They charged me. I tell her I’m staring at the bank charge as we speak. She says there’s nothing she can do. I call someone else. I freak out, the woman says she will credit me, promises me I will get a refund in two billing cycles (which seemed like a long time to wait but I said ok). It’s now been three months and still no refund. Williams-Sonoma you SUCK! I want my money!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Ordered off a wedding registry. Accidentally I ordered 2 KitchenAid mixers. I called immediately to cancel the order (no way to cancel online). They said they couldn't help me because they were taking inventory. Try back later...which I did five times. They shipped both units out. I had to chase down the second one since it was in a state I don't reside. I returned to a store a week ago. They say it takes THREE WEEKS TO PROCESS!!! Please. Who does that in this competitive environment? Williams-Sonoma is off my list. I could have bought that anywhere.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

In Dec. 2017 I received 3 gifts from my daughter, and I already had duplicates, so I returned them to Williams-Sonoma in one large box... they paid for the postage. After weeks of waiting for a "gift card credit" to be sent to me. I called to find out that they had only credited me for 2 of the 3 gifts "my mistake". So I was told another card was being sent out that day with the remaining balance. After weeks of waiting again, I called today... Now I find out that they sent the gift cards to my daughter (which is embarrassing and I am outraged) this is really upset her!

When I spoke to the first 2 customer service reps, we went over my information and address and was told that they would be sent to me (since they are my gifts). Now I was told with my 3rd phone call that the only thing they could do was "cancel the cards" that were sent to my daughter, if she hasn't used them. Once they are cancelled then new ones will be issued to me... which would be several more weeks. I was also informed that if she used the gift cards, then I am "out of luck". So that's where it stands now, I am sick and tired of calling them and trying to do "everyone's jobs for them". It was in the computer my correct address and that they both were to be sent to me. How can so many customer service reps keep messing this order up???

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

First I am a very good customer at Williams-Sonoma and have their signature credit card. I wish I could give them zero stars right now. On January 26th I placed a large order on their website. They were running a sale on 20% off of 2 jars of any sauce, and I ordered 8 jars, along with an instant pot and some other merchandise. When they processed my card I only received the 20% off on 2 of the sauces. I also used a $25 birthday credit. I called Williams Sonoma to ask why they did not give me credit on all of the sauces and was first told that they would honor the discount on only 2 of the sauces. I told them that the store offers it on all sauces purchased and they told me they would give me the credit on the 6 other jars "on the back end" and that I would see the credit for both the sauces and the birthday credit on my next credit card statement.

When I received the first part of my order, one of the sauces had exploded and created a big mess in the box. They did replace that jar of sauce. The rest of the order was on backorder, I received another part of it a couple of days later. I then received my credit card statement and did not receive either of the credits. I called and was told that my birthday credit had expired on January 31st, even though I told them I placed the order on January 26th (and have the e-mail order confirmation). They said they couldn't do anything about the sauce credit and would investigate further.

Today I took most of my order back to the store, had them credit my account and cancelled the items that were still on backorder. They couldn't believe I was being treated so badly. Then I noticed that the 2 sauces that they gave me the credit on were backordered items. I just called customer service again and was told they would issue the birthday credit and the sauce credit (for 2 jars) and I would see it on my next statement. We'll see, but I'm not going away. It's not the money, it's the principal. Don't buy their overpriced crap - it's apparent that this company thrives on ripping people off! As soon as this issue is resolved I'm closing my Williams-Sonoma credit card account. Hasta la vista, baby.

Williams-Sonoma response

Hi Melody, please accept my apologizes for the disappointment and frustration caused. I have sent you a private message with my contact information, and I would like to speak with you, and help in any way I can with your order and offered discounts. I hope to hear from you soon. -Ramona

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

BRIEF SUMMARY. I ordered an item on 12/10/17, and W-S promised delivery by 12/14/17. I needed to receive it by no later than 12/16/17, as I was using it as a gift and leaving town on 12/17/17 for a month. W-S twice promised to send the item on time, but finally sent it to arrive on 12/20/17. Then, because I had informed W-S that I no longer needed the item and would not be home to receive it, on 12/18/17 W-S cancelled the order.

W-S has never issued a refund for this. Instead, on 2/5/18 W-S shipped a "replacement item" to me, without my prior knowledge or consent. As soon as I learned W-S had sent me a replacement item, I asked W-S to cancel the shipment. But it did not. W-S has stopped responding to my inquiries and seems to be bent on using the replacement item as justification for not issuing a refund. I want W-S to issue a full refund to me in U.S. currency and, if W-S wants the replacement item, to take back the replacement item at W-S's own expense.

FULL DESCRIPTION. Ordered a product on Sunday 12/10/17. Web pages said it would arrive within 5 business days. Confirmation email said the order would arrive by 12/14. When item did not arrive on 12/14, I called. Agent said it had not even shipped yet. I explained I was leaving town for a month on 12/17 and needed item by 12/16. She promised to have it shipped to me overnight, to arrive by 12/15. Instead they shipped it to arrive on 12/20. On 12/15 when opened the tracking number and saw this, I called again. But after being on hold for better part of an hour, hung up and sent email instead. Received a reply on 12/18. Agent said she would cancel the shipment and refund cost to my credit card. Also said she'd sent me a $25 gift card for my "inconvenience."

I replied on 12/19 and thanked her, but also summarized the many mistakes W-S had made. I pointed out that W-S advertises a 48-hr response time to all inquiries, but hadn't done so yet. I also said I had needed the item by 12/16 to give as a gift, and thanks to W-S incompetence had nothing to give. On 12/22 yet another agent responded, saying that since I had paid partly with a gift card (actually a store credit), funds would be put back on the card. She contradicted what the agent who responded on 12/18 had said: not only that the entire purchase price had been refunded to my credit card, but also that the $25 had shipped. This time, the majority of the purchase price would be put on a "gift card" that would not be sent until 7-10 business days AFTER W-S got back the item it had shipped to arrive on 12/20 and then cancelled, and the $25 card "should be shipping out" (real soon now).

Notice the contradictions here. I told them I'd be gone and would not be responsible for anything delivered after the 16th, so they canceled the second shipment. (The first one never arrived either.) But this didn't seem to stop them from sending their stupid cards even though they knew I would be away. One agent said she'd refunded the money, the other said they'd only give me a gift card. One said she'd sent me the $25 card, the other said it would be shipping out. I was out of town to visit an extremely ill relative, who passed away while I was there. Because of this I returned home a later than I had planned.

Upon returning home, I found that nothing W-S had promised ever arrived. Because I had stopped using the credit card before I left on 12/17, I could not even check to see if any refund had been issued. And, of course, I had no convenient way to obtain any funds if they had been refunded to the credit card. But the majority of the credit was supposed to have been on a gift card they'd promised to send me, and neither it nor the $25 card ever arrived. So on 2/3/18 I wrote again. This time I asked for an explanation why one agent said she'd refunded the purchase to my credit card but the second agent said they would send me a gift card instead of a cash refund. I also asked them to address the fact that neither card they claimed they were sending had ever arrived.

I asked them to explain why they cancelled the second shipment because they knew I would not be home, but then they said they would send me the gift cards when I would not be home. On 12/10/17, when I originally tried to make the purchase, the item was on sale. But now, on 2/3/18, even if I still wanted the item, purchasing it would cost more than the original price plus the $25 gift card. Finally, I said that because all these problems I no longer want to do business with W-S, so gift cards were unacceptable. On 2/5/18 I received a reply. But it did not address any of the issues I had raised in my 2/3/18 note. Instead, this new agent said she had shipped the original item to me with rush delivery. This was despite the fact that the entire email chain was included with my correspondence, and I had clearly said I needed the item by 12/16/17. What about that could this person not understand?

She also said she had reissued the $25 gift card. But she made no mention of the card for the larger amount, which also had never arrived, was supposed to have been sent to me shortly after W-S received the item back from UPS after W-S cancelled the order on 12/18/17, and I had asked about in my previous note. But she did say W-S appreciates my patience and looks forward to seeing the matter corrected to my satisfaction. Ha! So now the problem was compounded. Not only had I not received anything W-S had promised, but now I was expecting an item I had stopped needing almost two months earlier. W-S never asked me if I wanted it now, and it just would create more hassle for me. On the other hand, sending me the unwanted item helped W-S make a sale, and could give them an excuse for not addressing any of the by now numerous issues.

So later that day, also on 2/5/18, I wrote back a short note with four points: 1. Until the matter is settled, W-S will never unilaterally initiate any action without my prior agreement. 2. Please cancel the latest (third) shipment, as I haven't needed the item since 12/16/17. 3. Since I have no desire to deal with W-S any further, cancel the $25 gift card. 4. And send me a check to refund the entire purchase price plus $25. Later that day, also on 2/5/18, I received a note from yet another W-S agent. She said she cannot access my replacement order at this time, implying she could not cancel it as I had requested. But, she said, I could return it after it was delivered. And, "In researching your account, I found that a refund has been issued."

But later that day, also on 2/5/18, I wrote back asking for more details, like when was the refund issued, how as it issued, and what was its amount? I asked what she means by "access" my order. Since I have no intention of doing more work to fix their screw ups, I asked how W-S plans to get the package it had shipped to me, without asking me if I still wanted the item or reading the correspondence to know I stopped needing it two months earlier. I also pointed out that W-S had shipped the item to me without even knowing if I would be home this time. Finally, I asked her to address the four points made in my earlier email.

So on 2/6/18 I got an email from still another W-S agent. This one says she reviewed my account and does NOT see a full refund was issued. But she did see a $25 gift card had been sent to me. She explained that W-S agents cannot see an order during the first 24 hours, which explains why the earlier agent could not "access" the order. (But it doesn't explain why she didn't cancel it as soon as she could see it.) She then asked me to let her know if I wanted her to cancel the replacement order -- this despite the fact that I had told them I didn't need it past 12/16, and already had asked them to cancel the replacement order twice.

Also, she completely changed the excuse for why W-S would not give me my money back. This time it wasn't because I had partly paid for it with a store credit. Instead, she said it was because "we have exceeded the 30 day return policy." Besides getting different stories from different agents, I'm still perplexed by this one. How can a return policy apply to something that had never been delivered in the first place? Note that this message was sent to me less than 24 hours after the replacement order had shipped. If the agent had just read the earlier correspondence and cancelled the order, as I had repeatedly asked and as the agent had done back on 12/18/17, we could have completely avoided the added issues of me getting something I do not want, of either me having to do extra work to return it or W-S having to pick it up, and W-S "selling" me something instead of refunding my money.

So this time, on 2/6/18 I wrote back and simply demanded that the agent read the earlier correspondence and answer the earlier questions. Later that day, also 2/6/18, I received an email from yet another agent (the seventh). However, this one gave me her direct email address so the issue wouldn't keep bouncing to new agents, and she made a decent effort to address most of the outstanding questions. But this doesn't mean the answers were satisfactory. So on 2/7/18 I replied. First I pointed out the most important issue was that I do not want a refund as gift-card credit since I do not want to do business with W-S. In particular, throughout my reply I documented numerous instances of W-S personnel acting inappropriately.

If they violated company policy repeatedly, I asked, then why can't W-S make an exception to its policy regarding how refunds are handled and just give me a cash refund so I no longer have to deal with W-S? I also asked for an explanation of this policy and justification for it. I also asked her to explain the numerous contradictions between what different W-S agents have said. I asked specifically about one such contradiction, the "30 day return policy," and how could there be a return policy about something I'd never received. But I was actually expecting that if she was honest, the agent would admit that the other agent had not read the history and just threw in the return policy as an excuse.

At several points the latest agent answered my questions by saying she did not know the answer when I had asked why other agents had said such and such. So this time I asked the latest agent if she had asked the earlier agents why they had said these things. I also pointed out how W-S agents had stonewalled instead of taking reasonable steps to resolve things. For example, the latest agent did explain what an earlier agent had meant by not being able to "access" the replacement order so she could cancel it. But according to the explanation, the earlier agent could have waited a short time until the item was visible in W-S's computer system and cancelled it then, or she could have had a colleague cancel the order when it became visible. Instead, the earlier agent had just told me she couldn't cancel the order because she couldn't "access" it.

I pointed these things out to the new agent and asked her if she disagrees with my assessments about (a) the earlier agent had brushed off my request that the replacement order be cancelled by giving me a vague, misleading answer as an excuse why she could (would) not cancel it and (b) how this had wasted time, thereby making successful cancellation of the replacement order more difficult. Then I proposed two alternative courses of action should the replacement item actually arrive at my house. One was that W-S would send me a shipping label, I would put it on the package, and W-S would have UPS pick up the package at my house. The other was that W-S would send an employee from the local W-S store to pick up the package.

Then I went into some detail to clear up one of the latest agent's claims. She said W-S had sent the replacement shipment on 2/5/18 because W-S knew I would be out of town and waited until after I had returned from my trip. I rebutted this with a string of facts, such as I had already told W-S I no longer needed the item after 12/16, that W-S had done nothing until after I had contacted them in early February, and that W-S never even bothered to ask what I wanted done. I then brought some still-unanswered questions to the agent's attention.

I also disputed another of the latest agent's claims. She claimed W-S had never sent the larger, refund gift card because it had shipped a replacement item instead. I pointed out that W-S knew I no longer wanted the item and, besides, W-S's own agents had given me a timeline implying the card would ship in early January but the replacement had not shipped until February. I then asked her for specific dates so we could pin this issue down. My point is they never bothered to send me a refund in any form. But now they've concocted the replacement shipment as a substitute for the refund and are using it to obfuscate the fact that they never issued any sort of refund.

By this time she had made me an offer for an even bigger discount if I kept the replacement item. So I asked her to clarify exactly what she means. I sent this letter to her on 2/7/18, but I've received no reply. Yesterday (2/12/18) I sent another email, this one asking if she'd received the earlier one and, if so, asking for a status update. So far, I have received no reply.

Williams-Sonoma response

Marshall, I am very sorry to hear of your experience, and I would like to help in any way I can. Please check your private messages, I have provided my personal contact information, and I hope to hear from you soon. -Ramona

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I went to the store in Columbia Maryland on a Sunday. I was deciding over a 24" Le Creuset bowl and a smaller 20" bowl. Both bowls were on the discount table. When I asked if the 30% discount applied I was told "no, it was not on discount, but there was a promotional discount of $5". I paid full price minus the $5 went home. Arriving home I realized I had the next larger size. I tried returning it on Monday but arriving discovered it was closed for inventory. After work on Tuesday I made another long detour on Tuesday to exchange for the next smaller bowl. I presented the unopened product and sales slip to the salesperson. She scanned and informed me that I could not because the sale slip had in the text "all sale final". I explained that no one had told me that and nothing indicated that on the sale slip nor the salesman informed me and that I had not gotten a discount except for $5 "promotional discount".

The salesperson informed me that I needed to read the print on the sales slip which stated this. The sales slip is that is about 8 feet long. I informed her that it is not my custom to read the fine print on a sales slip unless informed or stamped "all sales final". In addition, I was not asking for a refund but instead all I wanted was an exchange. I asked to see the manager. The salesperson went away and came back without the manager but instead informed me that apparently he/she was (I assume) too busy - but in his/her mercy would graciously allow me to return the full priced product (less $5). And that he/she out of the goodness of their heart would take pity on a long time crook like me and would allow me to exchange BUT no money back - only store credit.

It was not the fact that clearly anyone taking the time would have determined that 1. I was a long-time customer and 2. All I wanted to do was make an exchange and 3. I had not received any discount or 4. Nothing was marked "final Sale". It was the attitude that they knew I was scum but would allow me to make an exchange. While trying to find another product for my store credit other customers came in with issues. They were all treated as respectable customers. When I returned with a $20 pizza cutter for my credit I was still treated as a homeless crook. In spite of the fact that I still owed them for the difference in their grossly overpriced products.

May I mention, I am 60 year old ** male. As others have mentioned, I have over the years paid their huge mark-up and even attended their in-store cooking classes. No more. For a company that treats me like begging for quarters without getting off their butt to see a customer. - Too smug to survive. Never again. They deserve bankruptcy. I left the store feeling in shame for no fault of my doing. I swear in the future to go elsewhere or buy online.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I ordered an Instant Pot a couple of weeks ago and was having issues applying a promo code online. After calling in, they assured me that the code would be applied upon billing. Well, lo and behold, when I was billed, the full amount showed up. Calling in and sitting on hold for over an hour, yes 60 minutes, I spoke with someone who said they can't apply any discounts. So I canceled the order and then this morning see a shipping notice. Calling back again, I am attempting to return to sender, but don't have much faith in what I'm told or what they will actually do. Long story short, back office appears to be a mess and I would avoid at all cost.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I am so annoyed with the level of service from Williams-Sonoma! For the prices they charge and the upmarket atmosphere they are trying to portray, their service all-round is shocking. I called customer service and was hung up on twice! The connection was terrible when I finally got through to them, on both occasions, and the staff was rude and unhelpful. Almost as if it was an inconvenience to talk to me and help me solve my simple problem. When the I called the Willow Grove store in PA they were incompetent and slow. I am not one to usually complain but this is not the first time I have experienced such poor customer service from Williams Sonoma. The problem is that it is on all levels, no matter which department you call there is a lack of respect for the customer and a general bad attitude towards the consumer.

If I was in management I would do a national course and re-educate my telephone staff on how to correctly talk to and deal with customers. Williams Sonoma should take a leaf out of Bed, Bath and Beyond's book and maybe get the person who trains BBB staff into their corporate office for an overhaul of their appalling staff. When a customer calls with an issue that is not their own fault it is the company's duty to make sure that customer leaves feeling satisfied and taken care of. It should be a (how can I help you) attitude! Not a (this isn't really something I know how to handle efficiently) and rude attitude. I will no longer be shopping at Williams Sonoma and will be telling a lot of people about the way I was treated. Fed up!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Order placed 12/24 - with UPS 3 day Select shipping. Now 1/2/18 - and still no receipt of order, 5 business days later. First, could not find any tracking of order online. Spoke to customer service on phone, they assured me I would receive "tomorrow". That came and went. Spoke to 2nd customer service person on phone, and they told me 1st service person lied to me, that I wouldn't be receiving the order until Jan 3rd or 4th. I sent email on the WS Website inquiring about my order. It's been 3 working days, and still no response from anyone... They state response would be within 24-48 hours... but again, this is not true. So I've sent another email to their customer service dept. Seriously contemplating on returning everything if the order ever shows up.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I ordered 3 items for my daughter for Christmas. The items never arrived, the order number I received in the confirmation email apparently does not exist, I have spent over 2 hours on the phone trying to get my order straight and have been shuffled from one person to another with no resolution. No one in customer service seems to know what they are doing. I was sent to the Pottery Barn customer service twice, only to be told I would need to call back to get back in the correct queue. I have received no refund for my original purchase and am calling my credit card carrier to report it and get a refund through them. I was told that "many many" orders were lost in December and the day I ordered (December 20th) was a "really bad day for that."

I was told the sale prices for the items I purchased would no longer be honored, but they would give me 20% off my entire order per a supervisor. I was then told they would need to treat any refund as a separate transaction and THEN pay full price and "trust them" the 20% off my order would be refunded. I cannot imagine trying to work through that mess and the 20% represents more than 100.00. My daughter is extremely disappointed, and of course. I am too. I am waiting, no doubt in vain, for a response from Williams-Sonoma. I am really angry.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

We have been a years-long customer of Williams-Sonoma. Unfortunately, they have gone down the toilet. The most recent incident is a case in point. In November, we ordered an item online. Two weeks later, we had received nothing, nor any email of any kind indicating the status of our order. As a result, we were forced to go through their wretched customer service to find out the status of our order, where call center personnel are rude and unhelpful. As it turns out, the item was back-ordered (it would have been nice to have received word of this via email, rather than our having to waste our time calling them!).

Since we needed the item before Christmas, we cancelled the order, figuring we could easily find the item elsewhere (we did: on Amazon). Today, some two weeks later, we received an email saying that the item we cancelled has been shipped (and, of course, charged to our credit card). We called customer support and I am now on interminable hold (40 minutes and counting). I honestly don't think they are answering the phone.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I usually like to give the benefit of the doubt to the customer service reps, but with Williams-Sonoma customer service there was no doubt, it simply terrible. I ordered this Dec. (2017) a product needed for Christmas, instead I got nothing similar to what I ordered. To make a long story short, I called and waited long time for a rep to get the call... finally she did, promising to send me the replacement fast, in the next few days. Oh how naive of me, I believed her. Today is the 12/28/2017, still waiting for the product. I have called, wrote emails, no replies. This company will not see another penny from me. Thank you Williams-Sonoma for the lesson.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I ordered two gift cards: ** and ** on 12/13/2017, one for $60 and one for $35 to be emailed to me. When they didn't arrive, I called WS and spoke with Melinda who first stated that the order number was wrong -- told her I received this number from WS -- she just wanted to argue that the numbers were wrong! Then she stated she had no record of the order and that I should reorder the gift cards. My bank had also not processed the order. I reordered the gift cards and the second set also did not arrive; however, Kathy, was able to find them and send them to me. The originally ordered gift cards showed up in my mail box after the replacements were ordered, 12/14/2017; even though the date on the email states "delivery date 12 Dec 2017" this is not accurate; this is the order date not the delivery date! My credit card has subsequently been charged for the originally purchased gift cards.

I just want my credit card credited for the original $60 and $35 purchases. I have talked with numerous folks at WS who say they can do NOTHING about my issue but will prepare a "ticket" and send it "up to the next level" NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE REGARDING THE CREDIT. I am so frustrated with WS customer no service. I have called, sat on hold for up to 30 minutes, talked with folks BUT NOTHING HAPPENS! I even called the corporate office and sat on hold for 30 minutes! THIS IS CUSTOMER NO SERVICE at the highest level!

Williams-Sonoma expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1956, the company is most well known for its culinary offerings, but Williams-Sonoma branched out into home furnishings with great success. It has everything you need for almost every room in your home.

• Easy returns: Sometimes a piece doesn't work quite the way you think it will, and if you buy from Williams-Sonoma, you can return most items for any reason as long as it's within 30 days and you have the receipt.

• Free catalogs: Williams-Sonoma will send you a free catalog so you can see exactly what it offers. If you can't wait, just go online and start browsing the online catalog.

• White glove delivery: Some purchases qualify for optional white glove delivery service, which means the item will be delivered, unpacked and assembled where you want it. They even take the packing materials with them when they leave.

• Warehouse sales: If you're looking to score a favorite piece at a deep discount, make sure to check out the warehouse sale section of the website for special offerings.

• Fabric swatches: If you need to test a certain upholstery or wood finish with your existing decor, you can request swatches or stop by a store to get a better idea of what works and what does not.

• Best for: Luxury buyers, interior designers and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs