1.12/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

252 Williams-Sonoma Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

If I listed all my issues with WS it would be a thesis. So I will stick to the latest-- I ordered an expensive pan from them but determined shortly after ordering that the size would not work. I immediately called to cancel so item would not ship (within an hour) and was told order was successfully cancelled and would not be shipped. However, weeks later the order showed up at my doorstep. I called to return and was told I would get full refund including shipping.

I was also told it was my responsibility to call back to confirm I got refund -- they would not automatically refund upon receipt of pan (I have never dealt with a company that did not automatically process refunds). I called back as soon as I saw delivery was made to WS and was told the shipping would be deducted from my refund despite the fact I immediately cancelled order. This is 1 in a string of substandard dealings with this company. I have spent several thousand plus dollars with them in the last month but never again will they see a penny from me and I would warn others there are much better companies to deal with. Be forewarned.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Upon opening this product, found it was filled only halfway. Very deceptive. I emptied the contents onto my food scale and verified it was as described on the over-sized can. WS seems to have gone downhill these past few year in both product quality and customer service in handling such SNAFUs. Haven’t they already closed a lot of their brick-and-mortar stores? If so, no surprise since a lot of their merchandise is crap from China. Will they be next to file for bankruptcy? Wouldn’t surprise this consumer who will no longer patronize WS as this last experience with their deceptive and unethical business practices has made sure of that.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I stopped by my local Williams-Sanoma store this morning to pick up some cookware. NOT ONE person working in this store acknowledged I was there the entire time. I wandered around – NO HELP – then finally found what I was looking for. Although there is a register in that part of the store, no one showed up to take my money. So I went to the main register clear across the store.

There, I waited and waited. There was a W-S employee putting out sale merchandise who looked right at me! We made eye-contact. But she made no move to come to the register or check out what was going on. I waited for her to finish up her task, but the phone rang and she took that call (AT THE REGISTER). Answered the question of the caller; looked for merchandise for the caller; yet never acknowledged my presence AND my FOUR items sitting on the counter – waiting to check out.

Finally, Chris, a man working in the middle section noticed me and came over to help out. He had to leave at one point to get a box and THAT's when the other clerk who had originally ignored my presence, showed up and asked if Chris was helping me. When I told her was, she went back to stocking the sales area. Two other employees showed up at that moment too. Chris came back, checked me out and even carried my larger packages to the car for me. He was the one bright spot of the morning. I'm not a needy person; usually don't really care if someone is busy and can't help out. I don't mind waiting. But in this instance, there were FOUR store employees and two customers. Should have had MUCH better service. No wonder I drive over there much.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Ordered a couch on September 22, it was not delivered until late December. Within a week a metal riveted button popped off, it cannot be sewed back on. I have been in phone and email limbo now for three weeks with no response besides to be asked again and again to send detailed pictures, which I have done to no response. I will never ever shop with them again.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

On November 30, 2018 I ordered a skillet set (2 skillets) and 2 matching sized lids from the Williams-Sonoma site for Christmas presents. They arrived while we were out of town, but a friend brought them into our house. We arrived home on Dec 9th only to find the box that the skillets came in was totally destroyed. I immediately opened the box to find that the not only was the box 2 1/2 times the size of the skillets inside, but that there was no packing material inside the box to help stabilize the contents and the cardboard wrapper that held the skillet set together for sale was completely shredded. Because the cardboard that held the skillets together was shredded, the two skillets spent the entire shipping process rubbing and bouncing off each other resulting in extensive scratching of the skillets. The lids were in a separate box and surprisingly packaged well (glass) and not broken.

We had not even carried in our luggage from our trip before I was on the phone (or hold I should say) with Williams-Sonoma. When I got ahold of a representative, she was very friendly and assured me that a replacement (skillets only) would be sent expedited and that I should get my damaged skillets to UPS at my convenience (because she knew we were still unloading from our trip) but the replacement would be sent right away. She gave me a new order #. I asked if I would be able to track the item the same way I could the other, through my online account and on the website, she said yes. She said it would be available to view online in 24 hrs.

The next day I checked online. I went to my account – nothing! Even the original order number did not show that a return or replacement had been requested. There was no listing of the new order #. There was some confusion on the address when the representative was entering for the replacement. The skillets were to be for my father-in-law for Christmas and they were ordered early because my husband was going to be heading out his father’s direction the week of Dec. 10th and it was ordered so my husband could take them out with him and we wouldn’t have to pay another shipping charge.

My father-in-law had recently moved to a new house in a new development in a very small town. The representative said the system would not accept the address as it was unrecognized so we were sending it to a family business in the same town. Because of this confusion on the address and the fact that there was no trace of the replacement order, I called Williams-Sonoma again to check on the replacement.

After sitting on hold for 30 minutes, a representative finally answered, but then immediately hung up on me. I called back, sitting on hold again for another 30 minutes. This time when the representative answered, the reverb back on the phone was terrible to the point I could not carry on a conversation with the representative. She took my number and said she would call me right back, hoping to get a better line. 3 hours later, no callback! I called Williams-Sonoma yet again, sitting on hold for another 30 minutes, and finally a human being!

The representative was nice – that has never been the issue. I went through the whole story – not that long at this point yet, and asked for her to check the status of my replacement. She could not find any order under the new order number that I was given the day before. She looked at the original order and told me that the first gal didn’t do it right so she was going to process a replacement again – expediting the process and delivery. Sat on the phone for about another 30 minutes while she did what she needed to do. I told her we had shipped the original damaged items out and that they were on the way back to them. Again I asked if I would be able to track this shipment on my account on their website, and again I was told yes and that it would appear in 24 hours for me to track. She told me that it would be under my original order #.

This time I waited 2 days before checking the status online. Again, nothing. Not under my account, not under the new order number (given on 1st call), not the original order number (referenced on the 2nd call). The original order number again still didn’t show that a return label had been created or that a replacement had been requested. I called again, sitting on hold for 30 minutes before I got to talk to anyone. The next representative was very nice, yet again. I always try to remember that none of this is their fault! She checked the status of both the order numbers. It took a while, but finally she did see the 2nd call in the system. The order was not processed as it had just entered into the system. She saw the first call but said nothing was in the system regarding that replacement request.

The second request that she could find was not expedited so she said that she would try to change that so that it would go out right away. She apologized and issued a $25 gift card for my trouble. She told me to keep checking the website as she was not sure when it was going to be shipped, but that I would get an email with the tracking information once it shipped. I kept checking, day after day after day! Nothing! Calling in, sitting on hold, asking to speak to a supervisor, requesting a call back from a supervisor and still getting nothing.

On December 14th, I received a confirmation of my order with Williams-Sonoma, but it was for 2 lids. I had never requested lid replacements! I called again, sitting on hold for 30 minutes. I told the representative that I had never requested replacement lids, that only the skillets were damaged as they were in different boxes. The representative told me to keep the lids since I never requested the replacement, they didn’t need to be sent back. I asked again about what I had actually requested replaced and when I could expect them. They told me to keep checking, that they were in the system and could be sent any day.

Finally on December 18th, 9 days after I first called about the damaged product and requesting a replacement I had enough of “it is coming… keep checking!” I called yet again sitting on hold for 30 minutes. I asked to speak to a supervisor stating I would hold until I spoke to one as I have requested callbacks and had not got one yet! At last, a supervisor! I went through the whole story (by now way too long). I told her I was done waiting for their replacement shipment. I wanted to cancel and have a refund issued. I was told it was too far in the process to cancel at this point. I told her I was ordering the same product on Amazon and that it was going to be delivered in 2 days.

I wanted a return label created so that when the skillet arrived, I could send them back to a credit could be issued to my account. I told her about the lids, and she again told me to keep them. I told her that lids do not do me any good without pans. She told me to throw them or donate them so I have taken them to Goodwill. She created a return UPS label (that I was emailed 2 days later) so that when I got the item I could send it back. She didn’t want me to sit on hold and have to go through this again (I hadn’t received the product yet). I told her that the return shipment would have to wait until my husband came home for Christmas as there was no UPS drop off facility near him. She said no problem. She was putting in the request for a credit immediately.

Later that day, I received notice that the skillets had finally shipped, expected in 2-3 days. I had already ordered the item from Amazon and frankly, Williams-Sonoma didn’t deserve my business at this point! My Amazon package arrived as scheduled, and packaged wonderfully! The next day the Williams-Sonoma replacement arrived finally, 2 weeks after the original call.

On December 24th, we dropped off the skillet return to UPS. With the holiday schedule, they didn’t receive the package until January 2nd, 2019. On January 7th (5 days later) I checked to see the status of my refund. Nothing! Again, the website still does not show that a replacement or a return was ever requested. I cannot check the status of my order – only the original tracking (very 1st shipment) shows. I called again into customer service and asked to speak with the supervisor that I spoke to before (she told me to call her with any more problems). She was on the phone so the representative said she could help.

I again went through the whole story (very long at this point). I gave her the tracking number for the return, told her it was received by them on the 2nd and I want my credit right away. She told me that she processed my credit and that the system takes 1 hour for them to review to release the funds back to my issuer. I used PayPal linked to my discover card and she said PayPal should show it with-in a few hours and it should show as pending on my discover within 24 hours. I told her I was going to check in 24 hours and if it wasn’t processed, I would be calling back!

Here we are 30 hrs. later and no credit! I called in yet again today and asked to speak to the same supervisor. She was on the phone again but they put in a call back request. I was told I would get a call back within 15-30 minutes. That has been 4 hours ago. I have called my Discover card and informed them of the situation and placed an alert on my account. Discover said a merchant has 15 days from when they get a return to issue a credit. They have until the 17th. Discover said that if a credit has not been issued by then, they will place a dispute on the charges. In the meantime, my payment is due including the amount to Williams-Sonoma.

I have been dealing with this for 30 days now and spent at least 20 hrs on it. I am done with Williams-Sonoma! I found this complaint website while trying to see if other were having the same problem. I see that I am not alone! I will do anything to keep other very experiencing what I have gone through! Williams-Sonoma clearly has a problem, which is a shame as they have great products. In the future I will order from Amazon or Sur La Table. The worst part, 30 days later this is still not over. To be continued…

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Williams-Sonoma?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I received a gift. I attempted to return the gift, using the gift receipt that came with the gift, and to credit the amount of the gift to purchase a Nespresso coffee machine. The associate in the store rang it all up and I left with my purchase. I got home and realized that the gift amount had not only not been credited to my purchase but instead had been refunded to the gift giver. Could it be more embarrassing? Well, yes, apparently it could if I left it to the devices of the store manager.

I called the store to ask them to correct the mistake and I was told (I'm not making this up) (1) we never credit gift receipts to a recipient and accused me of calling him a liar when I pointed out that this simply could not be true or the company would not provide gift receipts at all. (2) There was nothing they could do unless I allowed them to call the original purchaser to ask the purchaser if he would allow a gift card to be issued to us and the credit to him reversed. And (3) there was no way to look at the original order because the stores and the online purchasing are entirely independent. So I guess it's ok simply to take a customer's money and pocket it or distribute it to someone other than the owner of that money?

I continued to call customer service and while I reached several very nice people who genuinely tried to help me, nothing was resolved... Until I explained to them that they should convey to their supervisors that failing to credit my account amounted to larceny and/or conversion. Finally, the customer service people and the store decided to send me merchandise credits for the amount of the transaction. (They never got the amount quite right but it was close. I couldn't continue to fight with them and let the small amount in dispute go.)

Meanwhile, there was still the issue of the merchandise I had already purchased. Merchandise credits weren't going to solve the problem of the past transaction. There was a chance I could bring the cards in and attempt to get an adjustment on the receipt. I was wary. Given the history with this company, I just could not trust that it would work out that way. I returned the item and repurchased it online using the merchandise credit, despite the fact that it was now $10 more than when I'd originally purchased it.

Can you guess the next chapter in this ongoing tale of frustration? You got it! It still hasn't arrived! I placed the order on 12/31 and was promised "fast free shipping." Uh huh. It's now 1/7 and it didn't ship until 1/4. It won't get here until at earliest 1/9 - a solid 9 days at earliest from the date of the order. So much for fast. Somehow every other company from whom I have ordered in that same time period has shipped and delivered well within that period. It's very clear to me that customer service is a very low priority for this company. I would steer clear. Seriously.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

In mid-November bought some stollen to be delivered as Christmas presents, as I have done for several years. When they had not shipped by the first week in December I began calling to see what the problem was. I was assured they would go out in a couple days. They didn't. I called again. This happened several times until I was informed that I had placed a hold on them. Clearly I had never done this (and no one seemed to have noticed this before). It took a further delay until someone could remove the hold.

By then the delivery would be after Christmas. Eventually I was notified they had been delivered, but when I checked the "track delivery" notice I saw they had all been "returned to sender" (so not delivered after all, as Williams-Sonoma had informed me). Someone at Williams-Sonoma had sent them out with incomplete addresses. Once again I contacted customer service who said she would order replacement orders to go out. That was three weeks ago. There is no notice of replacement orders in my account. No one knows what is going on. No one is accepting any responsibility for this mess. No one at Williams-Sonoma seems to have the slightest idea WHO can fix the situation. I am ready to contact the California State Attorney General since my VISA card was charged a long time ago, the goods have not been received, and the company seems unwilling (or unable) to deal with the situation.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

On December 12 I found a knife set on W-S website with a delivery guarantee for Dec 24. I phoned WS customer service to check if the delivery guarantee applied to customers in Ontario, Canada, and was assured the item would be received at my address by Dec 24. On Dec 22 I had not received the item and telephoned WS to check the status.

The agent advised the order wasn't even processed so no way it would be received by Dec 24. She advised me to purchase the knife set from my local store. She said she cancelled my online order and that my card had not yet been charged so a refund would not be necessary, and then she transferred me to the local store to arrange a new purchase with them directly. I purchased and collected the set from my local store.

On December 24 I received an online order confirmation for the same knife set. I phoned WS customer service again to explain their service error and request an order cancellation. The agent said a cancellation was not possible; that I would have to receive the knife set and then phone WS again for return instructions, and then return the set, and then I would be refunded sometime after they received the returned set.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and she advised that none was available but took my number and promised that one would call me within that day. Nobody called. 6 days later, on Dec 30 I received an email shipment notice and my card was charged. On Dec 31 I sent an email complaint and received an automated acknowledgment with the note that they respond to most enquiries within 48 hours.

Today is Jan 5... Nothing from WS, not even the shipped set ordered on Dec 12. Summary of my online shopping experience with WS: Four phone calls to WS customer service, a trip to my local mall to buy the same knife set, processed payments for two knife sets, email complaint with no useful response. Still only one knife set... And we aren't done yet!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I ordered a Fortnum & Mason Christmas Hamper Dec. 2 and it wasn't delivered to my relative until Dec. 28. The original order delivery date was Dec. 17; the actual shipment didn't occur until Dec. 22. I called the customer service office 3 times; two of the service representatives assured me that I would be reimbursed for the full amount ($249) if the food hamper wasn't delivered by Christmas. When I called to receive the reimbursement I was told that I would not be reimbursed. I will never order anything from this company again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Ordered a tea kettle on 12/10 that my Dad wanted for Christmas. Estimated delivery date 12/24. It is January 3rd and no one at WS can tell me when I might get this order because it was farmed out to an outside vendor (this is not disclosed anywhere on the WS website or during the buying process). Vendor apparently won't respond to WS inquiries, hasn't updated tracking or shipping... Poof! They just ghosted the whole process. Oh, and best of all, CS rep told me I shouldn't even bother trying to cancel the order because "most of the time the vendor doesn't respond to those inquiries either." WS, you are in an abusive relationship with your outside vendors. And you just lost me as a customer for life.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I found a table I liked online, was hesitant to purchase "sight-unseen", and decided to visit a retail store. None really close by (25 miles away). Decided to purchase at the location, on a leap of faith that the table would be as expected. Delivery was a nightmare...wrong address, wrong phone # by sales associate. After 10 weeks, table delivered. I've been searching for chairs for the dining table. NOTHING available with the same finish. Not even from Williams-Sonoma.

I called customer service to see about exchanging the table for a chrome finish, willing to pay for the exchange / return and repurchase the new style. Not possible. No suggestions, just a "no return policy" after 30 days. Sorry. Customer service person couldn't answer the question, or direct me to a sales person to assist with chairs. REALLY?? I get it Williams-Sonoma, but how about offering something as a goodwill gesture? You don't have chairs that match your dining tables, you don't offer anything in your showrooms for customers to see...and are obviously relying on your reputation for your expensive furniture purchases. You've just lost me, and anyone else asking my opinion of your furniture.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

They shipped my item with the entire back cut out of the box and random cardboard taped to it to cover it. (It wasn't even shipped in a cardboard box.) I complained that I couldn't give this as a gift and the items were exposed, so I sent it back and asked for a new one. Since that time, I have placed numerous calls to their company, checking on my order that was to be shipped at the beginning of December. Nothing was shipped, and I was told 48 hours, 48 hours.

After that time, I called and my name and number was taken so a supervisor would "call me back". No call. I was finally told the item would be shipped out and I'd receive a tracking number within 48 hours. NO TRACKING NUMBER. The entire time, Williams-Sonoma blamed vendors. I asked for my money back and they said they couldn't refund it once it was in the vendor's hands. I asked if it was normal to charge money for a product they didn't have and wouldn't ship out. I also asked why they were selling the item still and lying to people about "being there for Christmas". I will never shop with them again. Now it seems as though my wait will be March. SO either 48 hours or 48 days now. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My wife purchased a Williams-Sonoma cookie press and prepared the cookie dough EXACTLY using the recipe provided by Williams-Sonoma. Then she loaded the dough into the press and began to press. It clicked until it reached the dough and then it could not push the dough through. When I called customer service I was told that if the dough is too hard the press is not strong enough to push the dough through. Well the dough was prepared according to Williams-Sonoma specs, so something is not right here.

Bottom line...this is not a very good product and should not have been put out by Williams-Sonoma. It is much more effective and much faster to use metal molds and manually press the dough...and the metal molds cost much less than your product which does not work as advertised. Why put out a product that costs over $30 dollars when it does not work as advertised. Suggest that your Tech folks go back to the drawing board on this product!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered an Instant Pot online, then was told I was going to get one as a gift, so I called to cancel. After multiple lengthy customer service phone calls, they finally said it was canceled. Two days later I received it at my door! The online return option wasn’t working. So, after multiple lengthy calls, and transfers to the wrong people (Pottery Barn, etc) and no one on the line after being on lengthy hold, I was able to speak with someone who said they initiated the return. After the hours of multiple calls, transfers, and unhelpful people I had spoken with (actually, only one was nice and tried to be helpful), I didn’t trust the person who told me it was cared for. I wanted to make sure that the item was received safely, and to avoid it getting lost in the mail or damage, I decided to bring it to the store myself. When I arrived, with the unboxed item, I explained what had happened to the sales associate, and gave full disclosure as to the mix-up.

He accepted the instant pot back, no further questions asked, and handed me a receipt and told me my money would be returned to the account that was used for the purchase. A number of days passed and I noticed my money hadn’t been refunded. So...back to hours and multiple calls, on hold, transfers to people who couldn’t help me. So, I then called the store and spoke with an assistant manager who referred me back to the customer service line. They referred back to the store. The stock manager finally found the package and they sent it via UPS on the 10th...TEN DAYS after I returned it to the store... And I still didn’t have my money back. The package, per UPS tracking, was delivered to their warehouse on the 14th. Now, we are at the 19th day of the month, and I STILL DO NOT HAVE A REFUND, 19 DAYS AFTER RETURNING THE ITEM TO A WILLIAMS-SONOMA STORE!!!

I just called again, and was told that they didn’t receive it!!! They miraculously found it after I provided a tracking number. Then they said it could take up to FIVE MORE DAYS for my refund to reflect in my account!!! When I asked the girl how it is that W-S can hold on to money when an item has been returned, she wouldn’t let me talk and wouldn’t listen to me, and at that point I lost it and demanded to speak with a manager.

She put me on hold and another customer service rep answered, said there was no way I was going to speak with a manager, and then said there was a poor connection and she would call me right back (after repeating my number). Guess what?? She never called me back! Does any company allow us to walk out of their store with merchandise without giving them the funds to pay for it? NO, of course not! But yet when I return an item that I paid for, and now 19 days later I still don’t have my $173.34 back, that is unacceptable. They have lost this customer forever!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Ordered a $150 bathrobe for wife - the red trimmings on it bled like someone committed hari-kari in it after 1 wash. Unacceptable for an Old Navy Tee let alone a $150 bathrobe. Returns were a nightmare - brought to the WS store in Chelsea and was basically laughed at for buying such a bad quality item - from them! No help returning the item in store and had to go to UPS, pay extra $10 to ship back. Easily the worst shopping and return experience I’ve ever had. All the millions spent on advertising is hollow when it comes to product quality and customer service. F- and avoid at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I ordered a 6 1/2 pound Prime Rib from Williams-Sonoma online web site. When the order was delivered it was wrong. Instead of Prime Rib I received a standing rib roast with a choice cut. Williams-Sonoma reorder my Prime Rib and once again instead of Prime Rib in the container I now had two standing rib roast choice cut and no Prime Rib. Now I have ask for my money back and the customer service reps disconnected me three times. I sent in a customer feedback and I got an email with a return label to return the meat to closest UPS store and it will be 3 weeks before my money is returned. It's Christmas and I have no Prime Rib for dinner and until I can get my money back I can't buy another Prine Rib from another company. I so disappointed in Williams-Sonoma! They changed their meat supplier but it doesn't help me at Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Updated on 12/17/2018: After being LIED to, 4 times by various reps and NO manager EVER calling me back, I canceled the Live Xmas Tree Order. Well guess what? This past Sat at 8 p.m, a UPS truck attempted to deliver a banged up box with holes and rips on it. Since I had cancelled the tree 4 days before that, I refused delivery. I can just imagine what a live tree inside looked like. I got email; saying, "Sorry for the inconvenience, we credited back your account." I have already told Amex that if the credit isn't on my bill, I will dispute the charge. What stupid vendors does W-S use? Stay local and support your local Garden Center.

Original Review: Ordered live tree 11/28/18. Allegedly shipped 12/3 and delivered 12/10 as promised. Several reps lied to me saying UPS was late and it would be there on 12/11. Well today is 12/12 and no tree. Manager supposed to call me back by 6 p.m. No call. I called again and the rep said they contacted the vendor who said for WS to send them an email with the problem.

1 can just imagine what a live $170.00 tree would look like being in a BOX since 12/3. Floating around in some truck in some state. That's 9 days without water or air! I had a service on call to help me put on lights and decorate it. I just cancelled because who knows where the tree is. I said whatever vendor they are using is very unreliable and it's outrageous that they don't know where their merchandise is. They offered me an extra 20% on my next order. My son used to work for W-S and said the trees are great and that's why I ordered one from them. It seems W-S merchandise has gone the way of Restoration Hardware. Very unreliable. I spoke to some nice reps but no one knows anything. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Nice people on the phone, but, wow, no action or follow up at all. Returned a $400 coffee maker in October to store in Minneapolis. Was told my account would be credited within 5-7 business days. A few days later, I received a Merchandise Card for $72. What's that all about? Called Customer Service and was told I had received someone else's credit and my account would be credited in 5-7 business days. Nothing happened.

Have called Customer Service 5 times. Each time, I was told the same story, for sure it's taken care of. Will see credit in 5-7 business days. Just waited 40 minutes on the phone demanding to speak to a manager. Surprisingly, there is higher than normal call volume. After 40 minutes of waiting, I got disconnected. They called me back and told me about all of the issues with my order and return. Exactly what I wanted to hear, right? No affirmation that my card will be credited. Still waiting for call from a manager. But again, I need to be patient because they are experiencing higher than normal call volume.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Opened a credit card based on store rep recommendation. Have been a nightmare dealing with Comenity Bank that service their card. Linked payment to my checking to setup auto pay. But the credit account failed to auto debit, resulting in late fees, interest charges and damage to my credit. Customer service representative were unhelpful and I end up paying the fees and interests to stop the damage to my credit. Now I have to wait another month for my payments to be reflected so I can close this account. Worst service ever, do not have issue with any of my other credit cards.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I bought two Scanpan skillets, priced around $140.00. One was visibly defective- had a bump in the center of it, other barely passed the quality- had a smaller bump but would still be considered defective by hyped advertising promises of Scanpan manufacturer. Return was painful- had to wait in the line for about 40 minutes- very slow service (Chicago Lincoln Park store).

I’m really annoyed by Williams Sonoma fake sales where prices on the upscale merchandise are always high (unreal and nowhere existing suggested prices) and barely ever included in their promotions. Constantly receiving promotion codes like 20% off plus free shipping that don’t work at the checkout though company is NOT included in the list of exclusions. Once, called Williams Sonoma regarding this, waiting 20 minutes while representative was trying to figure out why code wasn’t working with no results. They are confused with their so many companies they owe so they don’t know which code apply to what company. Today received an email from them about their another “sale” which stated E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G (in bold letters like this) on sale with most companies not included in the promotion- a very misleading advertising. Word everything means everything. Very annoying and untrusted tactic.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Horrible! Ordered a bar with mirror. In the picture it shows a light grey. When we received it the mirror was not as shown and the bar was a greenish color and way too boxy looking. We ordered through our designer who said that if we did not like the piece customer service said that they would refund full price. Now my designer is saying something different! Will keep posted if we get our refund or we will be going to court as this is a 2,900 piece of furniture that we have no use for!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My pie dish arrived in 50 pieces -the package it came in was crushed -there was NO packing to cushion this ceramic pie plate at all. Asked for refund and will never attempt ordering from Williams-Sonoma again! I will also warn others about their inferior shipping practices. It was a waste of time and product for both of us. Sooo disappointed. Cancelled Christmas gifts I had chosen for fear of the same disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My wife and I ordered the Weston Large Capacity Digital Dehydrator for a shower my wife was attending. We ordered it in September and after multiple times we were lied to about its location. We were told that a supervisor will call about the location of our product. No one ever called. We were told that they will reimburse us but that does us no good in the position we were put in. The supervisors only apologized but did nothing else. I honestly am embarrassed that we even registered at Williams-Sonoma. I will never shop here again. People please use Crate and Barrel as they are more reliable. They are always responsive and we have never had a product lost or misplaced.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I ordered two lucite stools in APRIL. Delivery was meant to be in JUNE. In JULY I was told one was defective and they couldn't redeliver until OCTOBER. I only found this out because I called and waited on hold for hours to finally the get the update. They were to be delivered today and only one arrived. The other one is on a truck... somewhere. No one can tell me and so far I've been on hold for a manager for 90 minutes. The level of incompetence I have experienced is literally unprecedented. Be warned - STAY FAR, FAR AWAY! It's just not worth it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I returned $350.00+ worth of towels because they were the wrong color on 9/26/2018. On 10/11, I called customer service to get an update on the return and credit. After a one (1) hour long telephone call, I was told by a WS rep that my return was not completely processed and that they would do that now and to expect a credit within 5 to 7 business days. Today, on 10/19, I called customer service back to get an update on the return and credit. After a one hour and 20 minute (1:20) long telephone call, I was told by another WS rep that she didn't see any notation from the first rep and that they had no proof of my return. This rep, she TOO was going to call the warehouse to find my return, have it processed and to expect a credit in 5 to 7 business days. Very shady if you want to know my true feelings. I will be back to report the progress on this second inquiry next week.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I love the shape of the chandelier - but the pictures online show tall shades that are a lovely white or just a tiny bit beige - - but when I opened the box today, I pulled out the ugly, cheap, yellowish paper shades which I can't possibly use. Yes, the chandelier was several hundred off, on sale, but now I have to spend at least $200 to get new shades. No wonder it was "non-returnable." AND I had to pay a $110.00 shipping fee. Outrageous! Never again. This is my third negative experience with WS - I'm done.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

In two days I purchased merchandise worth $1000 from both the store and online. This morning I wanted to buy Le Creuset Panini grill and press along with some spoons. This promo appeared: Enjoy 15% off + free shipping for orders 49+ enter promo code: MP9S-7MPN-CF4L. When I entered the code it stated that it's an invalid code. Usually if the code doesn’t work it will be displayed above the promo box and it'll state items are not eligible but this was different stating that the code is invalid. Called three times to figure out why was I given an invalid code.

Last phone call the lady was like "I will honor the code for you.” After she took the credit card she charged me the full amount and obviously the biggest achievement was that she gave me free shipping. I could've bought from Amazon and gotten free prime two day shipping for the same price. The way they dismiss your concern is very disappointing. After buying all those pans from them I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I ordered dining room chairs in April that had an anticipated delivery date in July. It is now mid September and they are only able to deliver 3 of 4 chairs. The 3 chairs have now been sitting in a warehouse waiting on delivery for several months. No one can provide any update as to when the order can actually be fulfilled. The only response is a canned apology, the representation that they have contacted their vendor and will provide an update. Never once has Williams Sonoma contacted me - they have only responded to my repeated requests. When asked if they can reorder, I was advised that newly placed orders have an anticipated October delivery date. It has now been almost 5 months and I still do not have dining room chairs and there is no estimate as to when they will ever be able to fulfill my order.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I ordered a Breville toaster oven from WS. Within a few minutes I decided to cancel the order because my husband said he had an extra one at his office. I called within 30 minutes of placing the order and was told they would put in my request. They don't have a way for you to just do that yourself online. When I got no confirmation of cancellation within a few hours I called again and got same story. Next day I still had no cancellation confirmation so I called a third time with request. I was told there was no guarantee of cancellation. When I complained they hung up on me. Today I got shipment confirmation. Great. When I checked online the toaster oven is not returnable either. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. Don't buy anything from them. There are plenty of other companies that actually care about their reputation.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I purchased a gift card as a gift for a wedding in July. I paid with my credit card and expected this very simple transaction to be completed in time for the wedding. It is now September and the bride and groom still do not have my gift and I am beyond embarrassed and furious!! Williams-Sonoma has had my money for months. So many emails back and forth to customer service that I have lost count and many telephone calls that were a complete waste of my time and energy. How can a company that touts its products like they are better than other stores treat customers the way they do and get away with it? Still going back and forth with them, but it is a ridiculous situation! How difficult is it to send a freaking gift card? OMG... They need so much help in so many different ways. I will never, ever shop there or buy anything online from them again! Still waiting for what I have already paid for!!

Williams-Sonoma expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Browse indoor and outdoor home furnishings and décor online or at stores across the United States. Free design services and credit cards rewards are available.

• Services: In-store product training and free knife sharpening.

• Shipping: Front door delivery and Premium White Glove service delivery options.

• Returns: Eligible items can be returned within 30 days. Customized orders are not eligible for returns.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs