Whirlpool Water Heaters

Compare Water Heaters

Research top Water Heaters recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

As a plumber, I would like to say we have more call backs and more problems with Whirlpool Water Heaters. I strongly recommend you do not buy this product. The warranty is not consumer friendly and will ultimately cost you. I urge all my customers to steer clear of Whirlpool Water Heaters.

The gas water heater that we purchased has been a headache. Pilot went out several times. When we contacted Customer service they informed us that we would have to have a new kit put on it. We ordered that and it worked a while and then we started having the same problem. Just recently we had to purchase another part and once again we have cold water. Fed up.

I have 2 rent houses. I purchased 2 Whirlpool gas water heaters with a 6 year warranty, from Lowe's in 2010 and 2011. The warranty just expired on 1 and almost expired on the other. I read the reviews and decided I would not spend my time to get a part, I did not want to put any more money into a bad product. Both water heaters leaked at the Honeywell gas control valve without any warning and flooded both properties. I replaced these with Rheem gas water heaters from Home Depot.

Purchased I assumed a brand-new electric hot water heater from Lowe's. It worked giving us hot water for 5 months then it quit. We called the number they have located on the side of the water heater and they sent 3 references such as plumbers for us to contact because everything they told us to purchase didn't work... so after their references, plumber came out. Instead of him telling us what was wrong why all of a sudden we stopped getting hot water he didn't return our phone call. As a professional that sucks!!!

So WHIRLPOOL CUSTOMER SERVICE says the hot water heater that had been working for 5 months wasn't up to code and wasn't wired right and WE need to pay an electrician to connect it right... that's **. The electrician did it correct the first time. Whirlpool just don't want to accept the fact that their equipment is faulty!!! But that's good because I will NEVER purchase anything WHIRLPOOL makes. I don't care if they start making water. I will just quit The hell with that company!!! WHIRLPOOL SUCKS!!! Here's the serial number 1626103174130 and if I had read the neg reviews before I purchased the hot water heater I wouldn't not have done it!!!

After 22 years, I replaced my Whirlpool, electric, 50 gallon water heater, due to age and it was still working well. Went to Lowe's and they do not carry Whirlpool any longer, so I purchased and installed an A.O. Smith water heater, electric, 50 gallon water heater, model ES12-50R55DV110. Hoping for as good a product now, as I had from my Whirlpool. Also, I installed myself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

My 3 year old water heater failed and the service line would send us the part but the install was my responsibility. Shipping was free but would take 3-5 BUSINESS days. Whole has a week to wait with no hot water, $35 for expedited shipping (which took 2 days), $175 for the plumber (authorized by Lowe's (1star also) for installs). 2 days later the unit is cold again... Plumber comes back, plays with wiring and gets it fired up again. Says if there is a problem again to refer the techs to the plumbers office for new tank.

Well now Whirlpool says they will only take the word of their own plumber "AUTHORIZED HEATING" 24 hours wait for a service call. "You will be the 1st job Wednesday morning". Wednesday 930 call from AH "we are backed up. Hope to be there between 1 and 4 pm." How did you get backed up if I was 1st job? Never again will I buy Whirlpool and nothing from Lowe's as well. Still no hot water day 3 second time in 2 months.

Bought the hot water heater, installed it. It leaked from bottom. Whirlpool warranties it. Replace it with new heater. It too leaks. I Google problems with Whirlpool hot water heaters. Found over 1500 complaints.

I have fought with this issue hundreds of times over the last 3 years. My old water heater work fine until it started leaking, I bought a Whirlpool 40 gal gas hot water heater from Lowe's. Worked fine for the first month, then this pilot light issue started popping up intermittently. Now the damn thing doesn't want to light at all. I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT THE REST OF MY LIFE, and I will tell everyone I know that WHIRLPOOL Products are not quality products. DO NOT BUY. There have been so many class action lawsuits about this product and Whirlpool keeps on selling this junk. I'm so frustrated with WHIRLPOOL customer support I can't think straight. To reduce your headaches in life, do not buy Whirlpool products as they are junk and their customer support is terrible also.

I brought a water heater from Lowe's in 2011 and I had a 6 year warranty on it which will end November 2017. Well now the water heater is leaking and they won't replace it because of the location of the water heater and they saying I need to get a direct water heater. Well what is the use of having a warranty if I can't get another water heater. I will never buy another water heater from Whirlpool! I cannot afford to get a direct water heater.

When you shell out the money for a new water heater you expect it to work the first time. Mine did not. Luke warm water was all that we could achieve. After going through the troubleshooting steps we could not clearly define the problem. So they ordered me the parts and sent them to me. The parts were for the old model control unit and does not mate up with the wiring that is in the unit. The representative was put back in that they had no idea how that happened. And, no wrench came with the thermostat just another thing to spend money on. I told them I have had it. Then they say that this is a manufacturer's defect and they can provide me with a list of repair technicians in the area. I gave them one star because I could not give them zero. They should have lead off with the service technician. Still not repaired. I will keep you updated.

I bought a whirlpool 40g gas heater with the Honeywell gas valve. In 5 years I've had to replace the valve two times. Thankfully the valve was under warranty both times. Our old water heater was Twentynine years old before it started to leak, this new electrical diagnostic high tech gas valve keeps breaking showing a overheated error and the only way to fix it is a new valve that only Honeywell sells that's well over 100$. Talk about a scam!!

MODEL# 40S6-40LP 401 SER# 1546102240652. After 6 months would not stay on. Call the company. Was told if it was installed in my bathroom or near. They would not help me or give me any info and because of this my warranty was void. My $500.00 was trash. I would need to send pictures to them before and after I moved it to a different location. My old one also gas was in the same spot for 28+ years. This is not in the bathroom, it's in a room off the side of this with it's own door... Lowe's said "sorry can't help you also"...

My 50 Gallon water heater is still under warranty, model #051718153. The water heater shuts down after a few minutes. There's a sound of a leak inside the tank. They would not replace the tank; they'd only replace parts. We have already replaced the outer control box and the double burner, and there's nothing else to replace except the tank, which they refuse to do so. If I had called them and said there's water coming out from the heater, they'd have agreed to send me a new tank, but honesty doesn't work.

I would not buy any Honeywell electronic water heater thermostat. Has failed two times. I have to pay for a new one to be mailed and for repair. A bad product from all the reviews. Honeywell is claiming they do not service it anymore and gave me a Sears telephone number. Servicemen have said it is a crap product and fails all the time.

Never buy a Whirlpool water heater. They're junk and they don't honor warranties. NO wonder there's a lot of bad reviews. I'm one of those suckers. You would think Whirlpool would do a better job. But the blessing in all this I won't have to deal with Whirlpool again. Including washer and dryer, ref, stove, dishwasher and etc.

This Whirlpool Water heater was purchased through Lowe's on March 29, 2011. This past weekend, water started leaking out of the thermostat/natural gas control located on the side of the tank. I called a plumber to take a look. He stated that a new thermostat/natural gas control was needed. Although the tank has a 12 year warranty, this item does not. Whirlpool did agree to replace the part but would charge me $30 to overnight the item which still would have taken 4 days because of a weekend. To install the item would have cost me almost $500.00.

To purchase a new Rheem Water heater was $999. I chose the second choice as the first choice would have still left me with a subpar water heater obviously already out of warranty. The reason for my review is that I saw the number of complaints on the failure of this part. When I purchased this water heater, it was the better model due to the 12 year tank warranty. What use is the tank warranty when the other items don't last? There should be some type of reimbursement but I'm not holding my breath. Please buy a contractor grade water heater and not the cheaper models.

Bought a brand new 40 gal water heater from Lowe's. Installed it and it worked fine. Next day no hot water... After doing all the tests with tech support. This smart mouthed CSR explained to me how her uncle is a master plumber and she knows what she's talking about. Still couldn't tell me what was causing it to not work. Other than the reset being tripped. I have had good luck with Whirlpool products. But customer service has always been poor.

I have had my water heater for 5 years and the repair is going to be close to $300.00! Whirlpool offered to send me the part and if I want hot water tomorrow I can pay $30.00 for shipping! $10.00 for standard ground! My other water heater was builder grade and lasted 12 years! Go figure.

I bought Whirlpool hot water heater with the Honeywell part in 2014 and the thermal box went out. No flashing lights, no way to reset. I understand that Whirlpool had a class action lawsuit after researching. Still selling this product to consumers. Whirlpool should be held responsible, and be made to give an allotment to replace homeowners with hot water tank of choice! If lawsuit is active please add my name.

I purchased a Whirlpool Flame Lock gas water heater with a 12 year warranty from Lowe's in November 2011. It lasted almost 6 years. Called Whirlpool Support and no one in my area is a certified repair facility. Closest one is 45 miles away, and he won't drive up to check out my water heater because I'm too far away. Called someone in town. He came out, looked at it for 2 minutes, and said he never saw a water heater like this, but Sears may carry parts. Charged me $50 for service call. Sears couldn't find the model number in their parts catalogs. I don't have a manometer (What is it?) so I can't do diagnostic tests on it myself. Can't find out anything about them online except complaints from other steamed customers about this crappy product. Whirlpool Support wouldn't do anything else for me except say they were sorry I got stuck with a bad product of theirs. It was made for Whirlpool by US Craftmaster Water Heaters Co.

Purchased Whirlpool gas hot water heater from LOWE'S on 9/25/2016. After the installation, tried to light the pilot light for 90 minutes. Followed the recommended instructions, I could not get it to light. Called LOWE'S they told me to call Whirlpool. I did so, and told them I will return the heater to LOWE'S the next day. Whirlpool customer service very bad. Returned the heater to LOWE'S the next morning, went to a local plumbing shop and purchased a Rheem heater. After installation it lit very first attempt. Now three weeks later I get a letter in mail from collection agency that LOWE'S turned me in for stopping payment on the check I wrote them. After reading the many negative reviews and they disregard for my and my family's safety, nobody should purchase a Whirlpool gas heater from LOWE'S.

Do not buy whirlpool water heater!!! It will only last 3 years.

DO NOT purchase a WHIRLPOOL hot water heater!! The gas valve temperature sensors on these units are faulty. Our technician has replaced several of these defective sensors. Costs $250.00 to install - water tank is only a year old! WHIRLPOOL REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS PROBLEM!! We bought this particular unit because of the "reputable" name brand. They don't live up to expectations. Don't waste your money on a Whirlpool - you'll be replacing it soon! Very disappointed in this company!

I was sold a gas water heater that had my water smelly like rotten eggs in less than 6 months. I bought it in January 2016 and by June the anode rod I am told was no good. The only thing Lowe's could do for me was sell me 2 anode rods, one the plumber thought was bad. I also had to hire a plumber. I was eventually told I was out of luck because the area the old anode rod was in was too damaged to come out.

I bought a whirlpool water heater at Lowes 4 months ago, and it has stopped working. I called the customer service number and was treated so unjust. I told them that I had just had it looked at by a plumber and he said that the water heater needed to be replaced, I told the whirlpool represented if what the plumber had just advise me. So I asked them if they could just replace it, the customer service representative told me I had to call another number to have their service people look at it and that wasn't for another 10 days. At which time I asked the representative what was I to do without hot water for 10 days. She told me that they could only schedule it that way. So I'm here to tell you all please please please don't ever Buy anything from whirlpool because they will not back it up! I on the other hand just lost $500 and went out and bought a Rheem water heater instead.

I have a 20 month old Whirlpool stainless steel refrigerator of which the ice maker quit working after 6 months. The repair went smooth and I was back up and running. There have been rust spots on the refrigerator from early on. When I called Whirlpool about the rust spots they tried to sell me a service plan which I was told by the tech that the rust would not even be covered by that. They said I would need to have somebody come out to look at the appliance and would go from there. The tech came out and called Whirlpool, told them the exact thing that I had said when I called. They told him that they would not cover the rust and I was charged $79. I called back Whirlpool and requested they refund me the $79 and replace the three doors. They said they were sorry but could not help. I told them I did not accept that. They placed me on hold to get a manager and then I was disconnected.

Whirlpool has been an absolute nightmare from day 1. We bought a brand new 50-gallon water heater from Lowe's. It did not work. We went back to Lowe's and were told to contact whirlpool. We contacted Whirlpool and were told to conduct a number of test and all test passed, so they said we needed a plumber to come look at it. Remind you that this water heater is brand new and has not worked since day 1. They said the plumber would cost $130 and they would pay for parts. Why am I having to pay when my water heater has never worked. Paid the money. Had them come. They replaced a part, did not work, replaced another and it did not work, so the plumber requested a new water heater. Whirlpool refused. What is the point of paying and they are not going to fix it.

Whirlpool insisted it was our ventilation even though all test proved that was not the problem. So out of pocket again to fix the ventilation and it did not work. After 2 months of no hot water with a two-year old at home we had someone we know come look at it and fixed the main pipe. Whirlpool took my money and didn't fix my problem. HORRIBLE SERVICE.

Bought a whirlpool water heater less than two years ago and it has already failed. I could not find parts for it and was told by a lowe's employee that I would have to call whirlpool on the 5th of July (three days away) to order any parts. I tried three plumbers in the Indianapolis area and they all told me that I would be better off replacing it with a different brand. I just put in a new rheem in its place. I will never buy another thing from whirlpool. They are no good.

I purchased Whirlpool hot water heater from Lowe's in 2008, it's a 40 gallon water heater w/ a 12-year warranty. I called a plumber out because it was making loud booming noise when the burner would go off. The last time flames shot out from underneath. The booms were loud enough to hear if you were outside.

When he came out to service it, he was able to duplicate the noise I had told him about. He said he had only seen this type of situation twice in his 30 years of plumbing. He said the gas was leaking into the water heater and felt it did have the potential to blow up had it gone on.

He called and had to place order for new gas control thermostat. Even though there's a warranty, Whirlpool still charges customer for shipping of either $30, $20 or $10 depending on how fast you want the part. I opted for $20 charge so I could receive part by Sat and rescheduled plumber to come out on Monday. The part did not arrive until Monday afternoon at 3:30 so I had to cancel my appointment with plumber and could not get him out again until Wednesday. I called Whirlpool and told them this and did get compensated back for $20. I also talked to a manager and expressed my concern up the whole situation and asked to be reimbursed for labor charges of plumber.

She (Kim) said I did not have extended warranty so she could not do that. I told her I had already been told that by the techs I had spoken to but felt they were getting off easy due to the severity of the situation. I was told again, sorry that's just their policy and water heater had safety features on it that would not allow it to explode. When the plumber returned, he installed new part and could not get pilot light to ignite. This took 3 hours, $300 labor charge. When he took off old thermostat, it was pretty much caked with mineral/calcium deposits.

Called Whirlpool again and ordered another part for the burner to be replaced, they wanted to charge $30 to have this sent, plumber was able to get them to waive the charge. In the meantime, called Whirlpool again since the whole thing was not sitting well with me. It was late because of the time difference so managers had already gone home. He said he would leave message with them that I felt a new water heater would be the best answer to this whole situation but more than likely I'd have to call back to talk to one.

I haven't called back, out of patience and energy. Tomorrow, it will be 2 weeks since I've had hot water. Due to time part will arrive today, plumber will not be out until first part of next week. At this point, I will not be surprised if this doesn't fix the problem either. I will never purchase another Whirlpool hot water heater or anything made by them again. I find it hard to believe since I live in Denver that the parts would not be available here. I think it's ridiculous that the customer has to pay to have parts sent. I feel their concern for my situation doesn't matter.

We purchased a water heater at Lowe's. Our old water heater had an issue but we always had good water pressure with the hot water until we made the horrendous mistake to purchase at LOWE'S - the worst possible place to buy a water heater. They sent the water heater and we had to look for someone to connect the WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATER (the runaway water heater). When it was installed the water pressure at my home was so bad that only one shower can be used at a time. This never happened before with the old water heater, there was no pressure at all.

We called LOWE'S the WORST PLACE TO BUY A WATER HEATER, they did not accept any responsibility and they sent me to the Technician that Lowe's has in DENVER to fix the problem. This bad company (WHIRLPOOL) sent us a crooked technician who wanted to charge us $600 dollars to repair something other than the water heater. We did not trust this person and we called another technician who told us that the water heater is not working properly. There is no one at LOWE'S and NO ONE at the Whirlpool customer service who can help us with this disgraceful water heater.

DON'T BUY WHIRLPOOL WATER HEATERS. DON'T BUY AT LOWE'S!!! They are crooks! They do not respond for their products. They do not want to exchange the damn water heater as HOME DEPOT would. Buy everything at HOME DEPOT! Run away from Lowe's! They don't stand behind their products, they send you all the work and if you have something wrong with your purchase they will not help you.

Compare Water Heaters