Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Whirlpool Water Heaters
4.13/5

Whirlpool Water Heaters

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

1717 Whirlpool Water Heaters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2019

I had a Whirlpool Natural Gas Water Heater professionally installed on 2-27-2107. This unit came with a Honeywell controller and thermopile assembly. Today is 05-18-2019 and the unit is not inoperative. The pilot is lit but the burner won't light. Here are the issues that I have come across so far: When I go to the Whirlpool site there is no direct link to Whirlpool water heaters, just kitchen appliances and washer/dryers. When I click on parts and accessories link it gives links to washers, dryers or pedestals. Again... No information about water heaters. I scroll down to the bottom of this page and I see a link to "All Replacement Parts" When I click that it takes me to another site managed by "RepairClinic". When I enter the model number for the water heater it says Not Found. I entered the part number for the thermopile on the tag on the orange wire #321165-002 and 100078039 and again it returns as Part Not Found.

It's obvious that Whirlpool is putting little effort into supporting their water heaters or their customers. I called their support line and they were able to order the thermopile assembly for $55 plus $27.95 in shipping to get it here by Tuesday. Today is Saturday. So that means almost 4 days without hot water. And since this water heater was a warranty replacement for a previous one that went bad they will not cover the cost of replacement parts for the thermopile. Lesson learned: No more Whirlpool purchases for any of their appliances.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

This has been our second Whirlpool Hot Water Tank in our home in the past 14 years. The first was installed by the builder, when it went out we purchased a larger capacity one from Lowe's. It was professionally installed and now, after the extended warranty coverage period is expired, it's expired as well. I would think you should be able to get more than 7 years out of not one, but two Whirlpool hot water tanks. No wonder they are no longer manufacturing hot water tanks - they sucked at it. Also, if you do have one, you have to get parts from Whirlpool and pay $30 shipping. No thanks, for the cost of parts to replace everything you're better off getting a whole new unit.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Purchased a 80 gallon Whirlpool Water Heater with a Life Time Warranty. When it overflowed because the system failed to detect the water temperature, called and they sent in the temp sensor (I paid for shipping). Had plumber replace it. One day later the same thing happened, called and they sent in a board. Same exact thing happened. By this time, I'm without hot water for over 2 weeks in dead cold January on the East coast. They will replace the water heater but only a 50 gallon NOT the 80 because they no longer manufactured the 80. Option given by Lowe's is to add a recirculating pump to give additional gallons. But, of course Whirlpool said "NO." They only can give me the 50 gallon. What a ripoff!!! Please, please DO NOT purchase any product from Whirlpool. Now they change the same to A.O. Smith Signature Premier.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Got a Whirlpool hot water heater 5 years ago has 9 year warranty. The threads on the nipple are rusted out and it’s leaking. It has rusted out so badly that it’s leaking. They are refusing to replace it saying it’s a plumbing issue even though the nipples that they installed are what’s leaking.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased my water heater at Lowe's and had it installed professionally. I suspected something was not quite right on numerous occasions because the hot water recovery time seemed excessive. I finally called Whirlpool and they gave me the names and numbers of two companies that were on their list. The first asked for the model number and normal information and never called back. The second showed up spent five minutes charged me 78 dollars and said they could not get the part (gas valve) I needed. And if I could get it from Whirlpool they would charge me 250 to put it on. They also said Whirlpool made horrible water heaters and I should save myself the trouble and just replace it.

I have since heard from additional plumbers and the gas company to stay away from Whirlpool. I did have the water heater replaced. When they did it and they drained the old water heater it had so much sludge in it draining it was very difficult. The sludge is mystery since I have a softener in my home and it should have prevented that. The individual from that gas company said that was just one of the many issue others had experienced with these heaters.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My gas hot water heater failed. The pilot went out and could not be relit. The Whirlpool water heater has a 12 year warranty and we are in year 5. Sears said they could not send anyone to repair it because there was no service in our area. We live 30 minutes from Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas. They offered to replace it even though I had a plumber on standby, ready to replace it. They said they could not let me do that if they had one in stock. After waiting a week for the delivery, they called at 4:45 pm to claim that the delivery truck would not start. They would not put it on another truck or help in any way. Then they said it would be another week before they could deliver it.

All this time we are going without hot water, trying to cook, clean, take baths, do laundry etc. They had no sympathy and refused to provide compensation so I could proceed with installing a new water heater. I could have done this if I knew a check was in the mail but they refused to allow me to do this. This happened to me at another big box store years ago and they sent a check immediately.

The customer support in the hot water heater dept at Sears was terrible. If they can't send someone to repair and they can't provide a replacement within a few days, it is only reasonable to offer payment so that the customer and move forward with repairs. I will never buy another appliance from Sears after this nightmare. On December 4th I'm supposed to get the delayed hot water heater but if the truck doesn't start, who knows how long I will have to wait. I am reasonable and flexible but lack of hot water is something a customer should not have to wait two weeks to get resolved.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Purchased my Whirlpool gas hot water heater. After 1 1/2 yrs, the blinking light shut off, called tech at Whirlpool, made me move hot water heater to outside. I moved it outside and when called back, I was then told to send 4 photos to prove that I moved it, in which I did that. He told me that still was not right... and still he would not help with "reset'. I live in my parents old home w/ water heater in bathroom for 50 yrs. No problem... it was vented thru ceiling to attic. Now it is outside, unlit, in a steel hub (as directed) and still not ok...

I have no hot water and have not for 4 weeks now... Whirlpool sucks... never buy their hot water heaters. Had to pay a serviceman $750 to move heater, run cold/hot water lines and gas line and it still does not work... with NO HELP from Whirlpool. Now I am in process of buying an electric hot water heater and have to pay an electrician to run a 220... I am on fixed income and this stinks... biggest regret... WHIRLPOOL.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Purchased gas water heater from Lowe's in 2012. Had no problems until July 2018. It's under warranty but have had to replace the control valve completely and the burner 5 times and it still is not fixed. Don't waste your money. Buy something else.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

They stink. Major issues with most all of these Whirlpool water heaters. I have had issues with 3 different units. I own properties and these are pure junk. Can't find parts and have to pay for shipping on warranty parts! 2 years old units junked, Ridiculous... never buy Whirlpool!

Original review: July 16, 2018

If I could give them zero stars I would. NEVER BUY A WHIRLPOOL GAS WATER HEATER! Our Whirlpool water heater Is 4 years old. Pilot light wont stay lit. A reputable plumber came out and said that the control knob is bad and to call Whirlpool to get part because it's still under warranty. So I call and get nothing but a hassle. They tried to tell me that it was installed in a room that the installation manual says it not to be in. (Background here. The house was built in 1960. It is on a cement slab and it's a prefab house.) The manual says "Do not install in bathrooms, bedrooms or any OCCUPIED room normally kept closed."

Now let me tell you where it is at. It is in a 5' by 3' boxed area with cement floor and walls to the ceiling with access doors to it and to the furnace which is also in this area. The access door to water heater is on the back side of a bedroom closet, access door to furnace is in a hall. So Whirlpool tells me that they cant give me the part Even if I pay for it due to some national fuel and gas code. They wont even tell me where I could buy the part... They said the only way they can help me is if I relocate the water heater or put in a ventless water heater.

Our water heater is vented thru the roof of house... It gets plenty of ventilation. They wouldnt let me talk to a supervisor to complain... So this is why I am on here writing this review. I might add this is not our first issue with Whirlpool. Had a brand new KitchenAid refrigerator with ice maker. The ice maker didn't work from first day. After 3 techs and 3 visits it still doesn't work. Then also the compressor went out. If you want a better product and want good customer service then dont buy Whirlpool.

Oh and one more thing. Our plumber also doesn't like Whirlpool. He said he had problems every time when he has to deal with them. He said it's to the point when someone calls for services and tells him it's a Whirlpool he just cringes. Now that's pretty bad. I just spent 4 almost 5 hours of my morning upset to the point of tears. With no results. Another note. I called my gas company. They said our water heater is in a safe place. If it wasnt they wouldnt be supplying gas to us. Live and learn. Done with Whirlpool.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Bought water heater from Lowe's in 2016. 4 days ago I came home to find water all over garage and a burnt smell coming from the water heater. Whirlpool's warranty department is absolutely horrible. I spent 3 days sending pictures of the water heater, circuit breakers and water on garage floor with cc sent to my husband's email account and mine. Each day I would telephone the warranty department and told that they never received pictures and they couldn't do anything until they received the pictures. I asked for a supervisor who wouldn't even come to the phone. Both my husband and myself received the pics and email just fine.

A representative said they have firewalls and things attached so that they can't receive attachments and downloads. So I sent directly from my phone and they still claimed they never received. They refused to give me contact phone numbers for supervisors. Out of frustration I called the Lowe's store where I purchased and a store representative spent 4 hours making phone calls trying to help. She was completely frustrated as well. I was told even though there is a 6 year warranty, I am to pay parts and labor and that the repair company for my area that Whirlpool utilizes doesn't even deal with Whirlpool parts so that whatever is needed would have to be ordered! I'm on day 4 of no hot water, this is absolutely ridiculous. I will NEVER buy another Whirlpool product! This product was installed by Lowe's and inspected by the state, not a DIY!

Original review: June 23, 2018

We have had a Whirlpool hot water heater for 6 years and 14 days. Note the 14 days. It has been nothing but trouble and we have called the company repeatedly for help. It finally stopped working altogether 14 days after the warranty ran out. Thank you Whirlpool for nothing! It had a filter on the bottom of the heater that constantly had to be cleaned which was next to impossible. We had to buy a special brush to try to reach it. My husband had to take it apart several times a year and clean it to keep it running. Whirlpool should have replaced it within the first year but instead offered many suggestions about cleaning and etc. so they would not have to replace. Today it is out of my house for good and I would advise anyone reading this to beware! Horrible product!!!

Original review: April 25, 2018

I bought the Whirlpool model e2h50rd045v electric water heater to replace my failing gas water heater on July 21, 2014, and had it installed a couple of weeks later after a little over 3 years of use. The water heater is still working with no issues or major problems. I'm happy with the decision to purchase this water heater.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Absolutely terrible product. Have had nothing but problems with it since I got it. After 4 months the pilot started going out every couple of days. Would have to vacuum the filter just to get it to light. They eventually sent me a screen to wrap around the bottom, that would only extend the interval to maybe a week instead of going out every few days. Now tonight it won't even relight! So tomorrow I'm buying another heater and throwing this piece of junk out, a waste of $750.00 for two years of headaches. Don't, trust me. Don't buy this garbage of a water heater. And like others I bought it a Lowe's, done with both of these stores!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We bought the Whirlpool NU50T122-403 50 Gal water heater from Lowe’s and very disappointed that after 3 years it will cost more to repair it than replace it. The Whirlpool gas water heater and our Whirlpool refrigerator have been the worst purchases ever made. Whirlpool has been unreliable in our house and the repairs and downtime have been extraordinary. We have replaced with a Rheem from Home Depot.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

For the last 20 days, I have to light the water heater at least 2 to 3 times a day. Maintenance told me how annoying this energy efficient change has turned to be, more like a nightmare. Multiply by 164 units at different times. Absolutely hate it...

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

In 2012 we purchased a Whirlpool Nu40T61-403 water heater from Lowe’s that I installed due to us not being able to afford a plumber. I have since become a plumber. This morning while attempting to shower I noticed that the water was lukewarm with the shower valve turned all the way to hot. I got dressed and inspected the heater. I began to diagnose the problem. Pilot was out and Gas control valve signal light was off. Lit the pilot and it appeared to be functioning normally. My first thought was the thermopile had failed but seeing the pilot stayed lit this proved to not be the case. I was extremely relieved at that point. Turned the temperature control knob to high and the burner kicked on. At first it appeared to be functioning fine. But within about 20 seconds I began to hear detonations within the sealed combustion chamber.

I turned the gas control valve off and imminently called Whirlpool. Literally spent no time on hold. The very helpful CSR asked for the serial number on my heater. She then informed me my heater was under warranty. I requested a new gas control valve and thermopile and informed her I was a plumber and had diagnosed the problem or at least what I thought was the problem. She said no problem only that I would have to pay $30.00 for overnight shipping if I wanted it. They provide UPS ground free of charge. Not a big deal to me. Gave her my debit card information and received my confirmation number. Told her to have a nice day and that was that. Being the perfectionist I am I called my company’s water heater master and asked him for his opinion after ordering the parts. I told him the symptoms and he said that it could also be the burner assembly and that I should inspect that as well.

Upon pulling the burner assembly and inspecting it I noticed 2 quarter sized holes in the screen on top of the burner as well as the screen being heavily corroded. The point of the screen is to keep the gas contained within the burner assembly so it burns properly. So the problem was the burner assembly not the gas control valve.

I immediately called back Whirlpool to inform them I would like them to also send out the burner assembly. They told me the order for the gas control valve had already shipped and it would have to be two separate orders but that they would waive the $30.00 for the second package's overnight shipping. The packages will be here tomorrow by noon and although I have no hot water for the night being in the industry I know that these things happen and am grateful that Whirlpool is sending me $650.00+ worth of parts for free and not trying to fight me on it. Amazing customer service reps that fully honor warranty. No holding and waived the second package's fee.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Installed a Whirlpool EcoSmart Electric Water Heater 5 years ago in my elderly Mother-in-law's home. About 3-4 times a year, I have to make a trip to her house to reset the electronic controller. Sometimes it's a daytime trip, sometimes at night. You never know when it's going to trip off. It's not an electric circuit/amperage issue, it's internal with the electronic circuit. There seems to have been a lot of complaints about these units since the beginning of the electronic controllers. I contacted Whirlpool the first time and the second time it failed. 5 years later, it's beginning to fail more often but Whirlpool does not seem to be interested.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Bought a Whirlpool water heater in 2013 from Lowe's. Model/Serial - N40S61-403; 1312T478726. It has a Honeywell thermostat control valve, model WV8840B1109 that is now defective after only 5 years. Pilot light went out once last year and had to get someone to repair and relight. It has gone out again, 11/5/17, won't stay lit, and valve is not letting enough gas through to keep the pilot light lit. Spoke with a plumber who said it would be more cost effective to replace entire water heater. He said problems with this water heater and control valve are very common. Not sure if Lowe's is even selling this unit anymore. My research has alerted me to the many problems with this unit. I have to believe that the manufacturer HAD to know about the issues and therefore is negligent. It looks as if there may be a class action lawsuit in the future. This is ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

AVOID Whirlpool water heaters - Bought two 12 year warranty water heaters from Lowe’s in 2014. Model NU50T121-403 from Whirlpool. Thermocouple went out within the first 4 months. Called WP, they gave me a number to call for an authorized contractor to come out. Made certain to tell me that PARTS were covered, but not labor. $300 for the labor and two days later, hot water is back on. SAME THING happens again 6 months later, then AGAIN in Sept of this year. So 3 guys have been out to all replace the same part. This morning, hot water is out. Both tanks. Can’t keep pilot light lit. Called WP. They gave me more numbers of authorized contractors. No hot water and now I’ve got another $300 I owe to fix the SAME BROKEN PART. I wonder if this is how their last class action lawsuit got started?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

On May 15, 2017, I purchased a new Whirlpool Water Heater, unknowingly made by American Water Heater Co., from Lowe's (receipt attached). Model Number ES40R10-55 with a 10 year warranty. The water heater was installed using the directions in the owners manual. Upon turning on the current to the water heater after it was filled with water and all air removed from the plumbing, the module gave a code stating the top element was not working. Called the Technician Assistance Hotline and they gave me a RA number to get a new top element from Lowes. Got that on May 16 and had to call the plumber that is contracted by American Water Heater Co. to come to the house and inspect the heater to make sure it was installed correctly.

The water heater worked once the new element was installed. On Oct. 3, 2017, had more issues with the module stating the top element was not working. Called the Tech. Assistance Hotline and they gave me another RA number to get another top element. On Oct. 4, got the top element and installed it. The water heater started working again. On Oct. 6, the module stated the bottom element was not working. Called the Tech. Assistant Hotline and had the plumber come out. He determined that he could not find out why it was doing this and also said that both elements were good along with the element that I removed on Oct. 4, which I still had.

Since then, the module has been giving codes stating that both elements are bad and I have not had any hot water since Oct. 7. American Water Heater Co., Whirlpool, and Lowe's all refuse to give me a refund for this piece of junk! All blame the other for the problems and none will take any responsibility for the water heater not working. I will never buy another appliance with the Whirlpool name and definitely will not buy anything made by American Water Heater Co. I also will never buy another appliance from Lowe's as they are not willing to help me in this matter. If you do not want to experience the headache and frustration of owning a new appliance that does not work, I would suggest that you do the same!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Whirlpool water heater with the sensor for fumes. First time it failed, they talked me into replacing the control box on the front panel which was the WRONG fix. It took me nearly an hr to get it off because it was screwed on so tight I had to pound it with a hammer. After reading all the reviews it's evident the underside gets clogged with dust and dirt. Just outright POOR ENGINEERING. My washer/dryer are also Whirlpool and I wish I had my old Sears Kenmore back. Will NEVER buy Whirlpool again. Worst brand EVER!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My water heater burner went out after just over 3 years caused the pilot to go out. I was worried that although all parts were covered for 12 years and labor for only 3 and the labor would be very expensive. When I called and told them about the problem they said the part was covered and would ship it next day air but 10 minutes later another rep called and said they would cover the labor as well and to check a nearby service company as they might have the part in stock. Long story short without having to scream and yell my problem was corrected within 8 hours and all I have to do is drop off the new burner at the service company when it arrives. I have been lucky and haven't had many warranty problems in my life but none that I have had have been resolved so painlessly. I will never buy

anything but Whirlpool from this day forward. Thank you Whirlpool.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had a 6 year warranty on the new Water heater and about only 4 years into it the tank began leaking. Whirlpool replaced it but of course I was responsible for Parts and labor to replace it. The replacement only lasted just over only 2 years and just outside the total of 6 years from original purchase date on the first. Whirlpool refused to discuss it since it was a few months out of warranty. If someone else has purchased this heater it would have failed at 2 years and they would have had to warranty it anyway. I will never own another Whirlpool appliance because of their substandard products and warranty. I only wish I had reviewed the reviews of others and taken their experiences into consideration and not purchased Whirlpool. I am now out for another heater and reinstallation charges again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

New water making loud pinging noises when burner shut off. Whirlpool referred plumber. Plumber stated this is normal. After few months heater would make loud humming noise when burner turned on. Called Whirlpool again. Said I had to pay for plumber to troubleshoot and if part needed I had to pay labor to replace part. Would never recommend this product to anybody.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I have recently installed a Whirlpool water heater and was thankfully home when I heard a pop sound and my water heater had exploded inside. The heating element also caught fire. I called customer service and was not satisfied with the response from their customer service team.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Whirlpool anode rod went bad in 2 months. Called Whirlpool, would not stand behind warranty. Had previous hot water tank (not a Whirlpool) in for 10 years with same well and water conditions. Also noticed Whirlpool hot water tank is not nearly as efficient on energy use. Overall, this is a very poor water heater and even worse customer service to not replace a part that was under warranty.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Bought Whirlpool 30 gal propane water heater in Feb, it lasted until May before the unit died. Paid for the extended plan warranty (NEVER do that!). Called support and they said they could send someone out in a little over a week (week with no hot water). The week goes by and on the day it was suppose to be repaired the guy calls and says his van broke down (this was a Friday, getting that early weekend). The earliest they can reschedule is in another week (over 2 weeks no hot water). Called Lowe's to see if I can just return it (extended plan and all), no, you need a return code from the whirlpool customer support. Call the Whirlpool number again to ask for a return code, no, it is a repairable problem (even though no one will come repair it). Lesson learned, will never buy Whirlpool or anything over $50 from Lowe's again.

Original review: June 14, 2017

As a plumber, I would like to say we have more call backs and more problems with Whirlpool Water Heaters. I strongly recommend you do not buy this product. The warranty is not consumer friendly and will ultimately cost you. I urge all my customers to steer clear of Whirlpool Water Heaters.

Original review: June 5, 2017

The gas water heater that we purchased has been a headache. Pilot went out several times. When we contacted Customer service they informed us that we would have to have a new kit put on it. We ordered that and it worked a while and then we started having the same problem. Just recently we had to purchase another part and once again we have cold water. Fed up.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Along with manufacturing and selling numerous home appliances, Whirlpool offers a list of residential electric, natural gas and liquid propane water heaters. Each unit comes with an energy factor (EF) rating ranging from 0.80 to 2.0.

• Types: Whirlpool offers a range of electric, natural gas and liquid propane water heaters. They range in capacities from under 20-gallons up to 70-gallons.  Online, under each specific model, consumers can check to see how each one will perform in their home based on location. They can also see the annual energy cost of each unit.

• Online purchasing guide: For consumers who need help choosing the correct water heater, Whirlpool offers a simple purchasing guide to help make the selection process easier. By answering a few questions about household showering habits, available space and where the water heater will be installed, Whirlpool can point consumers to a unit that will fit their needs.

• 6th Sense technology: 6th Sense is a technology designed to provide smart hot water delivery. Each Whirlpool gas water heater equipped with this technology uses a gas valve with tighter temperature control and a self-diagnostic feature that monitors the unit’s status. A full list of 6th Sense technology benefits can be found online.

• Installation videos and guides: Consumers wanting to tackle installation themselves can go online for guides and videos on how to install an electric or gas Whirlpool water heater. Whirlpool also offers guides about fixing water leaks and drips.

• Professional installation: Lowe’s Home Improvement offers same-day installation and delivery of Whirlpool water heaters Monday-Friday if notified before noon. Consumers can find the number to call for same-day installation under “Professional installation” on Whirlpool’s website.

• Best for: Consumers needing a residential water heater.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs