1.40/5
Based on 433 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Whirlpool Water Heaters

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 10, 2017

1698 Whirlpool Water Heaters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

On May 15, 2017, I purchased a new Whirlpool Water Heater, unknowingly made by American Water Heater Co., from Lowe's (receipt attached). Model Number ES40R10-55 with a 10 year warranty. The water heater was installed using the directions in the owners manual. Upon turning on the current to the water heater after it was filled with water and all air removed from the plumbing, the module gave a code stating the top element was not working. Called the Technician Assistance Hotline and they gave me a RA number to get a new top element from Lowes. Got that on May 16 and had to call the plumber that is contracted by American Water Heater Co. to come to the house and inspect the heater to make sure it was installed correctly.

The water heater worked once the new element was installed. On Oct. 3, 2017, had more issues with the module stating the top element was not working. Called the Tech. Assistance Hotline and they gave me another RA number to get another top element. On Oct. 4, got the top element and installed it. The water heater started working again. On Oct. 6, the module stated the bottom element was not working. Called the Tech. Assistant Hotline and had the plumber come out. He determined that he could not find out why it was doing this and also said that both elements were good along with the element that I removed on Oct. 4, which I still had.

Since then, the module has been giving codes stating that both elements are bad and I have not had any hot water since Oct. 7. American Water Heater Co., Whirlpool, and Lowe's all refuse to give me a refund for this piece of junk! All blame the other for the problems and none will take any responsibility for the water heater not working. I will never buy another appliance with the Whirlpool name and definitely will not buy anything made by American Water Heater Co. I also will never buy another appliance from Lowe's as they are not willing to help me in this matter. If you do not want to experience the headache and frustration of owning a new appliance that does not work, I would suggest that you do the same!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Whirlpool water heater with the sensor for fumes. First time it failed, they talked me into replacing the control box on the front panel which was the WRONG fix. It took me nearly an hr to get it off because it was screwed on so tight I had to pound it with a hammer. After reading all the reviews it's evident the underside gets clogged with dust and dirt. Just outright POOR ENGINEERING. My washer/dryer are also Whirlpool and I wish I had my old Sears Kenmore back. Will NEVER buy Whirlpool again. Worst brand EVER!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 7, 2017
    My water heater burner went out after just over 3 years caused the pilot to go out. I was worried that although all parts were covered for 12 years and labor for only 3 and the labor would be very expensive. When I called and told them about the problem they said the part was covered and would ship it next day air but 10 minutes later another rep called and said they would cover the labor as well and to check a nearby service company as they might have the part in stock. Long story short without having to scream and yell my problem was corrected within 8 hours and all I have to do is drop off the new burner at the service company when it arrives. I have been lucky and haven't had many warranty problems in my life but none that I have had have been resolved so painlessly. I will never buy

anything but Whirlpool from this day forward. Thank you Whirlpool.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had a 6 year warranty on the new Water heater and about only 4 years into it the tank began leaking. Whirlpool replaced it but of course I was responsible for Parts and labor to replace it. The replacement only lasted just over only 2 years and just outside the total of 6 years from original purchase date on the first. Whirlpool refused to discuss it since it was a few months out of warranty. If someone else has purchased this heater it would have failed at 2 years and they would have had to warranty it anyway. I will never own another Whirlpool appliance because of their substandard products and warranty. I only wish I had reviewed the reviews of others and taken their experiences into consideration and not purchased Whirlpool. I am now out for another heater and reinstallation charges again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

New water making loud pinging noises when burner shut off. Whirlpool referred plumber. Plumber stated this is normal. After few months heater would make loud humming noise when burner turned on. Called Whirlpool again. Said I had to pay for plumber to troubleshoot and if part needed I had to pay labor to replace part. Would never recommend this product to anybody.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: July 13, 2017

I have recently installed a Whirlpool water heater and was thankfully home when I heard a pop sound and my water heater had exploded inside. The heating element also caught fire. I called customer service and was not satisfied with the response from their customer service team.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Whirlpool anode rod went bad in 2 months. Called Whirlpool, would not stand behind warranty. Had previous hot water tank (not a Whirlpool) in for 10 years with same well and water conditions. Also noticed Whirlpool hot water tank is not nearly as efficient on energy use. Overall, this is a very poor water heater and even worse customer service to not replace a part that was under warranty.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Bought Whirlpool 30 gal propane water heater in Feb, it lasted until May before the unit died. Paid for the extended plan warranty (NEVER do that!). Called support and they said they could send someone out in a little over a week (week with no hot water). The week goes by and on the day it was suppose to be repaired the guy calls and says his van broke down (this was a Friday, getting that early weekend). The earliest they can reschedule is in another week (over 2 weeks no hot water). Called Lowe's to see if I can just return it (extended plan and all), no, you need a return code from the whirlpool customer support. Call the Whirlpool number again to ask for a return code, no, it is a repairable problem (even though no one will come repair it). Lesson learned, will never buy Whirlpool or anything over $50 from Lowe's again.

Original review: June 14, 2017

As a plumber, I would like to say we have more call backs and more problems with Whirlpool Water Heaters. I strongly recommend you do not buy this product. The warranty is not consumer friendly and will ultimately cost you. I urge all my customers to steer clear of Whirlpool Water Heaters.

Original review: June 5, 2017

The gas water heater that we purchased has been a headache. Pilot went out several times. When we contacted Customer service they informed us that we would have to have a new kit put on it. We ordered that and it worked a while and then we started having the same problem. Just recently we had to purchase another part and once again we have cold water. Fed up.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have 2 rent houses. I purchased 2 Whirlpool gas water heaters with a 6 year warranty, from Lowe's in 2010 and 2011. The warranty just expired on 1 and almost expired on the other. I read the reviews and decided I would not spend my time to get a part, I did not want to put any more money into a bad product. Both water heaters leaked at the Honeywell gas control valve without any warning and flooded both properties. I replaced these with Rheem gas water heaters from Home Depot.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Purchased I assumed a brand-new electric hot water heater from Lowe's. It worked giving us hot water for 5 months then it quit. We called the number they have located on the side of the water heater and they sent 3 references such as plumbers for us to contact because everything they told us to purchase didn't work... so after their references, plumber came out. Instead of him telling us what was wrong why all of a sudden we stopped getting hot water he didn't return our phone call. As a professional that sucks!!!

So WHIRLPOOL CUSTOMER SERVICE says the hot water heater that had been working for 5 months wasn't up to code and wasn't wired right and WE need to pay an electrician to connect it right... that's **. The electrician did it correct the first time. Whirlpool just don't want to accept the fact that their equipment is faulty!!! But that's good because I will NEVER purchase anything WHIRLPOOL makes. I don't care if they start making water. I will just quit The hell with that company!!! WHIRLPOOL SUCKS!!! Here's the serial number 1626103174130 and if I had read the neg reviews before I purchased the hot water heater I wouldn't not have done it!!!

Original review: May 29, 2017

After 22 years, I replaced my Whirlpool, electric, 50 gallon water heater, due to age and it was still working well. Went to Lowe's and they do not carry Whirlpool any longer, so I purchased and installed an A.O. Smith water heater, electric, 50 gallon water heater, model ES12-50R55DV110. Hoping for as good a product now, as I had from my Whirlpool. Also, I installed myself.

Original review: April 5, 2017

My 3 year old water heater failed and the service line would send us the part but the install was my responsibility. Shipping was free but would take 3-5 BUSINESS days. Whole has a week to wait with no hot water, $35 for expedited shipping (which took 2 days), $175 for the plumber (authorized by Lowe's (1star also) for installs). 2 days later the unit is cold again... Plumber comes back, plays with wiring and gets it fired up again. Says if there is a problem again to refer the techs to the plumbers office for new tank.

Well now Whirlpool says they will only take the word of their own plumber "AUTHORIZED HEATING" 24 hours wait for a service call. "You will be the 1st job Wednesday morning". Wednesday 930 call from AH "we are backed up. Hope to be there between 1 and 4 pm." How did you get backed up if I was 1st job? Never again will I buy Whirlpool and nothing from Lowe's as well. Still no hot water day 3 second time in 2 months.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Bought the hot water heater, installed it. It leaked from bottom. Whirlpool warranties it. Replace it with new heater. It too leaks. I Google problems with Whirlpool hot water heaters. Found over 1500 complaints.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I have fought with this issue hundreds of times over the last 3 years. My old water heater work fine until it started leaking, I bought a Whirlpool 40 gal gas hot water heater from Lowe's. Worked fine for the first month, then this pilot light issue started popping up intermittently. Now the damn thing doesn't want to light at all. I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER WHIRLPOOL PRODUCT THE REST OF MY LIFE, and I will tell everyone I know that WHIRLPOOL Products are not quality products. DO NOT BUY. There have been so many class action lawsuits about this product and Whirlpool keeps on selling this junk. I'm so frustrated with WHIRLPOOL customer support I can't think straight. To reduce your headaches in life, do not buy Whirlpool products as they are junk and their customer support is terrible also.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I brought a water heater from Lowe's in 2011 and I had a 6 year warranty on it which will end November 2017. Well now the water heater is leaking and they won't replace it because of the location of the water heater and they saying I need to get a direct water heater. Well what is the use of having a warranty if I can't get another water heater. I will never buy another water heater from Whirlpool! I cannot afford to get a direct water heater.

Original review: March 8, 2017

When you shell out the money for a new water heater you expect it to work the first time. Mine did not. Luke warm water was all that we could achieve. After going through the troubleshooting steps we could not clearly define the problem. So they ordered me the parts and sent them to me. The parts were for the old model control unit and does not mate up with the wiring that is in the unit. The representative was put back in that they had no idea how that happened. And, no wrench came with the thermostat just another thing to spend money on. I told them I have had it. Then they say that this is a manufacturer's defect and they can provide me with a list of repair technicians in the area. I gave them one star because I could not give them zero. They should have lead off with the service technician. Still not repaired. I will keep you updated.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I bought a whirlpool 40g gas heater with the Honeywell gas valve. In 5 years I've had to replace the valve two times. Thankfully the valve was under warranty both times. Our old water heater was Twentynine years old before it started to leak, this new electrical diagnostic high tech gas valve keeps breaking showing a overheated error and the only way to fix it is a new valve that only Honeywell sells that's well over 100$. Talk about a scam!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

MODEL# 40S6-40LP 401 SER# 1546102240652. After 6 months would not stay on. Call the company. Was told if it was installed in my bathroom or near. They would not help me or give me any info and because of this my warranty was void. My $500.00 was trash. I would need to send pictures to them before and after I moved it to a different location. My old one also gas was in the same spot for 28+ years. This is not in the bathroom, it's in a room off the side of this with it's own door... Lowe's said "sorry can't help you also"...

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

My 50 Gallon water heater is still under warranty, model #051718153. The water heater shuts down after a few minutes. There's a sound of a leak inside the tank. They would not replace the tank; they'd only replace parts. We have already replaced the outer control box and the double burner, and there's nothing else to replace except the tank, which they refuse to do so. If I had called them and said there's water coming out from the heater, they'd have agreed to send me a new tank, but honesty doesn't work.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I would not buy any Honeywell electronic water heater thermostat. Has failed two times. I have to pay for a new one to be mailed and for repair. A bad product from all the reviews. Honeywell is claiming they do not service it anymore and gave me a Sears telephone number. Servicemen have said it is a crap product and fails all the time.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

Never buy a Whirlpool water heater. They're junk and they don't honor warranties. NO wonder there's a lot of bad reviews. I'm one of those suckers. You would think Whirlpool would do a better job. But the blessing in all this I won't have to deal with Whirlpool again. Including washer and dryer, ref, stove, dishwasher and etc.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

This Whirlpool Water heater was purchased through Lowe's on March 29, 2011. This past weekend, water started leaking out of the thermostat/natural gas control located on the side of the tank. I called a plumber to take a look. He stated that a new thermostat/natural gas control was needed. Although the tank has a 12 year warranty, this item does not. Whirlpool did agree to replace the part but would charge me $30 to overnight the item which still would have taken 4 days because of a weekend. To install the item would have cost me almost $500.00.

To purchase a new Rheem Water heater was $999. I chose the second choice as the first choice would have still left me with a subpar water heater obviously already out of warranty. The reason for my review is that I saw the number of complaints on the failure of this part. When I purchased this water heater, it was the better model due to the 12 year tank warranty. What use is the tank warranty when the other items don't last? There should be some type of reimbursement but I'm not holding my breath. Please buy a contractor grade water heater and not the cheaper models.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

Bought a brand new 40 gal water heater from Lowe's. Installed it and it worked fine. Next day no hot water... After doing all the tests with tech support. This smart mouthed CSR explained to me how her uncle is a master plumber and she knows what she's talking about. Still couldn't tell me what was causing it to not work. Other than the reset being tripped. I have had good luck with Whirlpool products. But customer service has always been poor.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

I have had my water heater for 5 years and the repair is going to be close to $300.00! Whirlpool offered to send me the part and if I want hot water tomorrow I can pay $30.00 for shipping! $10.00 for standard ground! My other water heater was builder grade and lasted 12 years! Go figure.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I bought Whirlpool hot water heater with the Honeywell part in 2014 and the thermal box went out. No flashing lights, no way to reset. I understand that Whirlpool had a class action lawsuit after researching. Still selling this product to consumers. Whirlpool should be held responsible, and be made to give an allotment to replace homeowners with hot water tank of choice! If lawsuit is active please add my name.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

I purchased a Whirlpool Flame Lock gas water heater with a 12 year warranty from Lowe's in November 2011. It lasted almost 6 years. Called Whirlpool Support and no one in my area is a certified repair facility. Closest one is 45 miles away, and he won't drive up to check out my water heater because I'm too far away. Called someone in town. He came out, looked at it for 2 minutes, and said he never saw a water heater like this, but Sears may carry parts. Charged me $50 for service call. Sears couldn't find the model number in their parts catalogs. I don't have a manometer (What is it?) so I can't do diagnostic tests on it myself. Can't find out anything about them online except complaints from other steamed customers about this crappy product. Whirlpool Support wouldn't do anything else for me except say they were sorry I got stuck with a bad product of theirs. It was made for Whirlpool by US Craftmaster Water Heaters Co.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

Purchased Whirlpool gas hot water heater from LOWE'S on 9/25/2016. After the installation, tried to light the pilot light for 90 minutes. Followed the recommended instructions, I could not get it to light. Called LOWE'S they told me to call Whirlpool. I did so, and told them I will return the heater to LOWE'S the next day. Whirlpool customer service very bad. Returned the heater to LOWE'S the next morning, went to a local plumbing shop and purchased a Rheem heater. After installation it lit very first attempt. Now three weeks later I get a letter in mail from collection agency that LOWE'S turned me in for stopping payment on the check I wrote them. After reading the many negative reviews and they disregard for my and my family's safety, nobody should purchase a Whirlpool gas heater from LOWE'S.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

Do not buy whirlpool water heater!!! It will only last 3 years.

Whirlpool expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Along with manufacturing and selling numerous home appliances, Whirlpool offers a list of residential electric, natural gas and liquid propane water heaters. Each unit comes with an energy factor (EF) rating ranging from 0.80 to 2.0.

• Types: Whirlpool offers a range of electric, natural gas and liquid propane water heaters. They range in capacities from under 20-gallons up to 70-gallons.  Online, under each specific model, consumers can check to see how each one will perform in their home based on location. They can also see the annual energy cost of each unit.
    • Online purchasing guide: For consumers who need help choosing the correct water heater, Whirlpool offers a simple purchasing guide to help make the selection process easier. By answering a few questions about household showering habits, available space and where the water heater will be installed, Whirlpool can point consumers to a unit that will fit their needs.
    • 6th Sense technology: 6th Sense is a technology designed to provide smart hot water delivery. Each Whirlpool gas water heater equipped with this technology uses a gas valve with tighter temperature control and a self-diagnostic feature that monitors the unit’s status. A full list of 6th Sense technology benefits can be found online.
    • Installation videos and guides: Consumers wanting to tackle installation themselves can go online for guides and videos on how to install an electric or gas Whirlpool water heater. Whirlpool also offers guides about fixing water leaks and drips.
    • Professional installation: Lowe’s Home Improvement offers same-day installation and delivery of Whirlpool water heaters Monday-Friday if notified before noon. Consumers can find the number to call for same-day installation under “Professional installation” on Whirlpool’s website.
    • Best for: Consumers needing a residential water heater.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs