2. Homeowners

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Whirlpool Water Heaters Reviews

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Having multiple apartments I have some experience with water heaters, with that being said, old school water heaters would last 30 years with basically no maintenance. Since those old, manual no BS flashing light codes were replaced with Whirlpool brand, I see constant problems. Honeywell valve/motherboards was the worst thing that could have been put on any equipment. More or less they all failed within few months past warranty expiration date. Replacement part is cost almost half of what brand new product costs. When called customer service, they are aware of said problem but will not help, or recall above product. There are plenty of videos and forums of people complaining about the same issue. Being poorly treated by customer service, I know that I will no longer be spending my money on whirlpool brand. 3 years off of the water heater is a joke.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Bought a propane hot water heater and 2 years after buying it pilot wouldn't light. Had to buy a conversion kit because they didn't make the part anymore. Now had to buy a gas valve and it didn't work so went to Locke's and bought a new water heater and now they won't refund my money for the part $300.00 with shipping. They said they could only replace it. Well I don't need it now because I bought a better product. Whirlpool is junk and you have to buy the parts from them and RIP you off. Way to take care of your customers Whirlpool. Buy something else with your money.

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

This product is unsafe and should be recalled. It has aluminium wires that connect the unit to the 220 Vol Power source. Aluminium and copper wire don't mix. I took a shower and was getting ready to leave for the day when I went into my garage to smell burning plastic and wires. I traced it to the hot water heater and discovered the wires in the Energy Smart were melted and burned. I checked with Two Electricians who told me that the wires in the unit can not handle the high heat and melt. If you have one get rid of it. Had I left for the day I would have lost my home, cars and pets. If anyone would like to see this unit I still have it and photos.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Replaced the “brain” twice. No hot water for 2-4 days each time, waiting for part to arrive. Now I have to replace the nylon drain valve because it won’t shut off. Gonna use brass replacement. Fortunately I have it drain to a sump pump so house isn’t flooding. Don’t buy Whirlpool water heater from Lowe’s unless you enjoy this kind of thing. Consolation: the folks at the help line always answer the phone and are knowledgeable. And they’ve heard these same complaints over and over. One guy even said to buy AO Smith as they are made in Tennessee instead of China.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I had a Whirlpool Natural Gas Water Heater professionally installed on 2-27-2107. This unit came with a Honeywell controller and thermopile assembly. Today is 05-18-2019 and the unit is not inoperative. The pilot is lit but the burner won't light. Here are the issues that I have come across so far: When I go to the Whirlpool site there is no direct link to Whirlpool water heaters, just kitchen appliances and washer/dryers. When I click on parts and accessories link it gives links to washers, dryers or pedestals. Again... No information about water heaters. I scroll down to the bottom of this page and I see a link to "All Replacement Parts" When I click that it takes me to another site managed by "RepairClinic". When I enter the model number for the water heater it says Not Found. I entered the part number for the thermopile on the tag on the orange wire #321165-002 and 100078039 and again it returns as Part Not Found.

It's obvious that Whirlpool is putting little effort into supporting their water heaters or their customers. I called their support line and they were able to order the thermopile assembly for $55 plus $27.95 in shipping to get it here by Tuesday. Today is Saturday. So that means almost 4 days without hot water. And since this water heater was a warranty replacement for a previous one that went bad they will not cover the cost of replacement parts for the thermopile. Lesson learned: No more Whirlpool purchases for any of their appliances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

This has been our second Whirlpool Hot Water Tank in our home in the past 14 years. The first was installed by the builder, when it went out we purchased a larger capacity one from Lowe's. It was professionally installed and now, after the extended warranty coverage period is expired, it's expired as well. I would think you should be able to get more than 7 years out of not one, but two Whirlpool hot water tanks. No wonder they are no longer manufacturing hot water tanks - they sucked at it. Also, if you do have one, you have to get parts from Whirlpool and pay $30 shipping. No thanks, for the cost of parts to replace everything you're better off getting a whole new unit.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Purchased a 80 gallon Whirlpool Water Heater with a Life Time Warranty. When it overflowed because the system failed to detect the water temperature, called and they sent in the temp sensor (I paid for shipping). Had plumber replace it. One day later the same thing happened, called and they sent in a board. Same exact thing happened. By this time, I'm without hot water for over 2 weeks in dead cold January on the East coast. They will replace the water heater but only a 50 gallon NOT the 80 because they no longer manufactured the 80. Option given by Lowe's is to add a recirculating pump to give additional gallons. But, of course Whirlpool said "NO." They only can give me the 50 gallon. What a ripoff!!! Please, please DO NOT purchase any product from Whirlpool. Now they change the same to A.O. Smith Signature Premier.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Got a Whirlpool hot water heater 5 years ago has 9 year warranty. The threads on the nipple are rusted out and it’s leaking. It has rusted out so badly that it’s leaking. They are refusing to replace it saying it’s a plumbing issue even though the nipples that they installed are what’s leaking.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased my water heater at Lowe's and had it installed professionally. I suspected something was not quite right on numerous occasions because the hot water recovery time seemed excessive. I finally called Whirlpool and they gave me the names and numbers of two companies that were on their list. The first asked for the model number and normal information and never called back. The second showed up spent five minutes charged me 78 dollars and said they could not get the part (gas valve) I needed. And if I could get it from Whirlpool they would charge me 250 to put it on. They also said Whirlpool made horrible water heaters and I should save myself the trouble and just replace it.

I have since heard from additional plumbers and the gas company to stay away from Whirlpool. I did have the water heater replaced. When they did it and they drained the old water heater it had so much sludge in it draining it was very difficult. The sludge is mystery since I have a softener in my home and it should have prevented that. The individual from that gas company said that was just one of the many issue others had experienced with these heaters.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My gas hot water heater failed. The pilot went out and could not be relit. The Whirlpool water heater has a 12 year warranty and we are in year 5. Sears said they could not send anyone to repair it because there was no service in our area. We live 30 minutes from Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas. They offered to replace it even though I had a plumber on standby, ready to replace it. They said they could not let me do that if they had one in stock. After waiting a week for the delivery, they called at 4:45 pm to claim that the delivery truck would not start. They would not put it on another truck or help in any way. Then they said it would be another week before they could deliver it.

All this time we are going without hot water, trying to cook, clean, take baths, do laundry etc. They had no sympathy and refused to provide compensation so I could proceed with installing a new water heater. I could have done this if I knew a check was in the mail but they refused to allow me to do this. This happened to me at another big box store years ago and they sent a check immediately.

The customer support in the hot water heater dept at Sears was terrible. If they can't send someone to repair and they can't provide a replacement within a few days, it is only reasonable to offer payment so that the customer and move forward with repairs. I will never buy another appliance from Sears after this nightmare. On December 4th I'm supposed to get the delayed hot water heater but if the truck doesn't start, who knows how long I will have to wait. I am reasonable and flexible but lack of hot water is something a customer should not have to wait two weeks to get resolved.

Whirlpool author review by ConsumerAffairs

Along with manufacturing and selling numerous home appliances, Whirlpool offers a list of residential electric, natural gas and liquid propane water heaters. Each unit comes with an energy factor (EF) rating ranging from 0.80 to 2.0.

• Types: Whirlpool offers a range of electric, natural gas and liquid propane water heaters. They range in capacities from under 20-gallons up to 70-gallons.  Online, under each specific model, consumers can check to see how each one will perform in their home based on location. They can also see the annual energy cost of each unit.

• Online purchasing guide: For consumers who need help choosing the correct water heater, Whirlpool offers a simple purchasing guide to help make the selection process easier. By answering a few questions about household showering habits, available space and where the water heater will be installed, Whirlpool can point consumers to a unit that will fit their needs.

• 6th Sense technology: 6th Sense is a technology designed to provide smart hot water delivery. Each Whirlpool gas water heater equipped with this technology uses a gas valve with tighter temperature control and a self-diagnostic feature that monitors the unit’s status. A full list of 6th Sense technology benefits can be found online.

• Installation videos and guides: Consumers wanting to tackle installation themselves can go online for guides and videos on how to install an electric or gas Whirlpool water heater. Whirlpool also offers guides about fixing water leaks and drips.

• Professional installation: Lowe’s Home Improvement offers same-day installation and delivery of Whirlpool water heaters Monday-Friday if notified before noon. Consumers can find the number to call for same-day installation under “Professional installation” on Whirlpool’s website.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team