Protect What Matters Most

Compare Quotes
Kenmore Water Heater
3.98/5

Kenmore Water Heater

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

View More View More

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Kenmore Water Heater Reviews

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I installed this myself 16 years ago. For most of that time there have been 2 people living here, but the house has a possible 5 bedrooms, which is why I got an oversize water heater (and, I am sure, because it was on sale). We have somewhat hard unconditioned well water and I drain some water from the bottom every couple of years, but have seen no sediment.

Granted, this model probably cannot be found, but it has performed beyond my expectations. The only reason I am paying attention to it now is that it occurred to me to check the sacrificial anodes after 16 years. Unfortunately, they must be under the top cover, which will require moving the tank, or in the heating element opening, so I will put off that chore for a while. Some Power Misers snuck through with plastic lining, which also would be impressive durability.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

My Kenmore hot water tank began leaking. I called Sears and was told that the one year warranty had expired. I researched Kenmore water heaters online and discovered that the warranties lasted from 6 to 12 years. I called Kenmore and was told that my unit had a 12 year warranty. I was transferred back to Sears who told me that a serviceman could not look at the unit for 3 weeks. I talked to Kenmore and Sears a total of 6 times. No one seemed to understand that I could not wait 3 weeks for my hot water to be restored. I explained that I have a chronic illness and that my handicapped granddaughter needed to be bathed daily by my wife. No one cares. I was told that there was only one technician for the state of Ohio and I had to wait 3 weeks.

I called the Sears Corporate Office and the nasty person who answered the phone said that I could not speak to anyone there. Finally, I called the office of Ohio Atty General Mike DeWine. They patiently listened to my complaint and told me that they would contact the Sears Corporate Office. In less than an hour, I received a call from Sears saying that someone would come out the next day. The technician diagnosed the problem and told me it would cost $152 in labor to replace the valve. I purchased this water heater because I thought Sears made quality products and that they honored their warranties.

First they told me it only had a one year warranty. Then, I discovered on my own that there was a 12 year warranty. The date of purchased listed by the company was 3 years older than the actual purchase date. Lastly, they tried to deliberately have me wait an extended period so that I would hire a plumber to replace/repair the tank. The repairman was the only professional person that I dealt with in regards to this matter. I will not buy another Sears product.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I need hot water now. Tank started leaking badly. Called Sears. Will send technician in 5 day for $79. Have to order new tank which would take another week. Labor is on me. I have someone coming tomorrow to install a new one for $2053. Forget buying anything from Sears again, especially water heaters. It lasted 8 years with a 12 year warranty.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I would not get another water heater from Sears. My hot water heater is seven years old and started leaking with two years left on the warranty. I had no hot water and had water all over the basement floor and called a local plumber to replace the tank so we can shower, wash dishes etc. When I called the warranty department, the service rep. notified me that because I had the tank changed with a new one, the warranty for the existing tank is void, even though I have the pictures of standing water in the basement and the defective water tank is still in the basement. Please, what should I have done? Have the water tank leak and do more damage to my basement and have no hot water for a week until your tech gets there? This is a joke of a hot water heater warranty. Go buy your next hot water tank from Lowe's or Home Depot, you are much better off.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Will never buy another Sears product. Our went out and it was just over a year old. We were told by Sears a repair person couldn’t come out for a week and a half (meaning I would worry about our safety considering it was a gas water heater and would spend the Christmas holiday with company and no not water). I looked on Sears website and it says if your gas hot water heater goes out, it should be looked at immediately. Very concerned we called a local company in our hometown and they came right away. They said it was a (Sears) manufacturer defect and it actually caught fire and we were lucky our house did not catch fire. I had the hometown company fix it of course. I called Sears to tell them we had it repaired and wanted reimbursement.

To make a long story short, there have been many phone calls and transfer of calls when I was finally able to get a response that Sears will take care of it but I needed to fax my repair receipt. I faxed the receipt over a month ago and no response. I called again yesterday and today and another hour or so on the phone, Sears tells me they won’t reimburse me because I didn’t order the parts from them! So I guess I was supposed to risk my house burning down and go a few weeks without water so that I could order their part?! Unbelievable.

Please, please, please everyone do not buy Sears products. I have now figured out this could very well be a thing where Sears purposely delays the repair so that you have it repaired elsewhere and they get out of providing the repair and costs them nothing. I was given a list of different Sears department phone numbers and I called all of them and got nowhere. My last number to call is the Corporate office but I don’t think I have the energy to call again and Sears has already took hours of my time.

I have always been a good Sears customer but I am done with Sears. It is obvious they don’t care about their customers or their safety. This probably would have cost Sears less than $100.00 so I am not sure why they went through such lengths to not reimburse me. I rarely post on Facebook but I thought it was worthy enough to warn people. I do care about the customers safety and fair treatment unlike Sears. So long Sears... hope it was worth the $100 you saved.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I was surprised by all the bad reviews. My present Power Miser 9, 50 gal, electric, was purchased exactly 12 years ago. In that time, at year 8, the thermostat had to be replaced that was free, but I paid $100 for a 1-year service contract. Prior to this one, I had another Kenmore. I can't remember the warranty years (10?), but at 15 years I decided to change it. The only thing that went wrong in 15 years was a heating unit burned out at about 13 years which was easily replaced by a Home Depot universal unit for a few dollars. Being a big spender, I replaced both elements. Previously, I used Kenmore heaters at other places and other times and never had a problem.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

In September 2015, I had a Kenmore water heater with a failed element, resulting in the tank leaking all over my basement. That unit was 5 years old. Now, after only 2 years, the replacement heater failed. I just paid $79 to be told what I already know - that their water heater failed - and am without hot water going on 5 days now. My basement got flooded, requiring my basement carpet to be replaced.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Kenmore Electric Water Heater50GAL Purchased on 4.9.2016 - Less than a year old had repairman out on 3.23.17. Had a bad heating element. That time he said we will have to get a replacement. On Nov24th 2017 we are without hot water again. Had service repairman out again and he shut it down for a fire hazard. We have had no response now for 5, days. We are to have it replaced. Called them 4, times a day now with them saying they're waiting for paperwork to come thru for a replacement. I will never buy a Sears or Kenmore product again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I purchased a Kenmore Water Heater in Aug 2015, this past week 11-16, the water heater control panel burned up - wires, sensors, etc. Called and was told a technician could not come out until Saturday 11-18. The technician came out - said there was nothing he could do - it would need to be replaced and someone would call us. We received no call from Kenmore, and when we called we got the runaround. First we were told the technician hasn't closed the service order yet and until he does, they cannot see anything on their end.

We called several times after that and were finally told that someone from Kenmore would contact us in 24-48 hours (Sunday not being a business day) to let us know what steps to take. We have been going on 6 days with no hot water... along with 6 days with no resolution from Kenmore. After this experience, I will never buy any type of Kenmore product again. They put warranties on their product, but when their product becomes defective during the warranty, they do not back their warranty.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We have purchased 2 separate Kenmore Power Miser 55 gal water heaters, warranty for 6 yrs, both have consistently failed from leaking tanks after 4 yrs, even though properly installed with water softener, pressure reducing valves and expansion tank. Warranty for first was honored after an $89.00 service charge to verify failure, and a replacement heater (less efficient and smaller capacity) was provided, and they did ship it to our home. We recycled the failed one.

When the second one failed, same $89.00 service charge, and an offer for the same less efficient smaller unit was made ---- however, this time they are 'out of stock' and it will be more than a month before available. In addition, they require that we travel over 20 miles to pick it up ourselves and MUST return the defective water heater to them at that time which requires disconnection of it leaving the wiring and plumbing dangling in the meantime, and loading it ourselves, at a couple 100 lbs or more.

Clearly this is a ploy to discourage using the warranty----never in my life have I seen a store require to return of a defective water heater. In their defense, they did offer delivery for a $125.00 (which was no charge last time). The manager at the pick-up Sears outlet also seems to specialize in rudeness when dealing with him. The entire experience with both the heaters and Sears has been terrible!

Kenmore Appliances expert review by ConsumerAffairs

For over 100 years, Kenmore has been a leader in home appliances. They offer a broad range of water heaters and water heater parts and accessories.

• Types: Kenmore offers electric, hybrid, liquid propane gas and natural gas water heaters. Each kind of water heater has multiple options in tank capacity, tank diameter, warranty and venting.

• Warranties: Depending on the type of water heater purchased, consumers can expect three, six, nine or 12-year limited warranties. Details of the limited warranties can be found online.

• Online product manuals: Consumers can go online and search for their specific water heater owner's manual using the type, make and model.

• Repair scheduler: For consumers in need of a repair, Kenmore offers an online repair scheduler tool. Simply choose the appliance, brand, describe the issue and fill out your contact information. The tool allows consumers the option to pick a time that works best for them and includes any diagnostic fees.

• Customer care: Kenmore has a customer care page online where consumers can get prompt answers to questions regarding warranties, parts and repairs. The page also includes an option to schedule an appliance repair.

• Best for: Consumers looking for a residential water heater.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs