Kenmore Water Heater

Recognized as a top appliance brand for 100 years, Kenmore brings a new level of performance with appliances that deliver time savings, convenience and great results. From quickly cooling drinks to laundry loads completed in less time, Kenmore is the most awarded brand in the industry.

The Kenmore brand understands its customers’ wants and needs. Being in the lives of over 100 million Americans, performance innovations are a top priority of Kenmore product development. Ongoing engagement with our customers before, during and after purchases will help us maintain the honor of industry leader.

Compare Heating & Cooling Systems

Research top Heating & Cooling Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We bought a power miser 12 year warranty water heater in October 2006. In July 2012 it started leaking from the top. We called a sears tech to come look at it. We paid him $89 to tell us we needed a new tank. He said they could install a new one for free since it was under warranty, but it would be 3 weeks until they could get a new one in. Not wanting a flood in my home, my husband called a sears store 135 miles away that had one in stock. He drove the 4 hour round trip so we could have it installed the next day.

Now 4 years later in Oct 2016 the new one is leaking from the bottom. Thank god we have a pan it sits in or we'd have water on our floor! Since it's under warranty we called Sears. They said they can have someone come out in 4 days to look at it and if we need a new tank, it will be the end of Oct before a new one can be put in. The 12 year warranty is a joke. It starts when you buy the first water heater and keeps carrying over to the next, etc. Since we bought our first one in 2006, we only have 2 years left in warranty until 2018 even though this would be our 3rd tank! We are taking this piece of crap out and spending the money to have a Rheem installed. I will never buy another Sears product as long as I live!

I bought a Sears heater a year and a half ago and now the pilot light is going out. They came out and "fixed it" cost me $180 to clean a filter. Less than a month later having the same problem!! Going tomorrow to buy one from Lowe's. What a joke!! :( When I had the pilot fixed they left and didn't give me a receipt. They told me they would send it to my email, didn't. It is in a rental that I own now. I cannot even take it on taxes because they didn't send the receipt. Please buy your hot water tank some place else...

February 2nd Sears techs came out 5 times to check the water heater. They replaced the gas valve, thermopile, and we replaced a 3/8 gas line to a 1/2 inch. They claimed it was low gas pressure afterward.P. G.&E checked. It is 9.0wc. 10 blink cont. And they still have not replaced it. We still have no hot water. It is less than 1 year old purchased June 2015.

I purchased a Kenmore water heater (model number 153.331350) in February 2014 and it was installed in March 2014. It started leaking last week (March 2016) and the service technician said the backup valve needed to be replaced because there was no expansion tank on the unit. He said these water heaters are now installed with expansion tanks and that the leak would continue until I contracted a plumber to install an expansion tank. I spoke to a Sears service rep today and he said their install technicians can't install the expansion tank because it requires a plumber. So, essentially, they installed a water heater that was destined to leak because they had no way to install it properly.

The service guy just left. Leaking water all over the floor is just fine. They do that! NO NO THEY DON'T. I should hook a hose up to the relief valve... and put it in a drain. NO NO NOT going to have a high water bill for running water directly down the drain. $169.00 to reset the computer so it is hot water that leaks is... I don't even know how to say... NOT FIXED.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kenmore Appliances?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Sears replaced my leaky water heater (as it was covered under warranty) with a new one. It was the Kenmore 40 gal natural gas model #57941. I went to the closest store, which is 45 min away, and brought the new one home. Our plumber unboxed it and noticed a very large dent by the gas valve and couldn't use it. So, we had to drive it back to the store and pick up a new one. The plumber got it installed for us to find out that this one was defective too because the igniter and pilot light do not work. Hoping someone can come fix it soon! 2 Defective water heaters in one day???

In Feb 2013 I bought a water heater Kenmore Model 153.330250, with 9 years warranty on parts and tank. After 1st year (Oct.2014) a Sears technician replaced the main gas valve module controller ($176.00) and charged for labor another $140.00 (LED flashing 4 times fault). Called again Sears on Jan 14 2016 for same fault on control module. This time he was lucky, had to reset the thermostat only and charged another $150.00. Please don't buy any Kenmore products and stay away of Sears service!!! Don't be a loser buying these lemon products!!!

I purchased this on Sat and it will be delivered and installed Thurs. I'm afraid because they charged me $189 for installation but failed to tell me they will charge me for a drain pan, flexible hoses (2) and a haul away charge plus anything else they think I need for installation. Looking at an additional $250. Don't know what will happen if it does not fit. Should I cancel now? I need this because I fear a leak and water damage. Help. When I placed the order the representative (Shekinah) did not tell me about the additional costs. I told her what I need 40 gal, 55 in round, 55 in tall, 12 yr warranty and gas.

I write this two days before Thanksgiving. My son will soon arrive from Austin TX to visit. I had the integrated Honeywell gas valve fail last night, spilling water all over my garage. I had it capped off as it was late at night by ARS repair. I already know the issue, it is the Honeywell valve, made of plastic that melts over the course of years, rendering it inoperable and causing leaks. I called Sears. They want me to call their tech, charge me $89, just to diagnose the problem. In other words, just to put $89 bucks in their own pocket. Then they will charge me another fee to install it after I order the part and wait for it to ship to me. I asked them for a full refund for the value of the product, and they refused, stating that I must follow their process if it is repairable.

I will never buy another Sears product. I went to Lowe's and bought a Whirlpool. If it fails, they explained that they will give me store credit, no questions asked. When you buy a product, you buy the service that goes along with it, which makes or breaks the deal. It always boils down to service. I am sorry to say Sears has lost my trust and my business. They used to be synonymous with Appliance, now they make it so hard to deal with them. They just seem like thieves.

I bought the water heater at Orchard Supply (now owned by Sears) and after 2 1/2 years of light duty, it stopped working. The display showed a high temp. shutdown. Figuring that it had a 6 year warranty, I made the mistake of calling Sears. The Sears representative said a tech could come out for a fee of $79. I agreed, stipulating that any parts would be free under warranty. When the tech came out, he said it would be $190 to drain the tank and reset the control. At this point, I told him I would drain the tank, and just show me the reset. Tech said it was against policy. I said what the heck was the warranty for if I had to pay $190? Because I was not at the site and my tenant needed hot water, I agreed to pay. I will never buy a product from Sears or Orchard Supply Hardware again.

I purchased a water heater from Sears in 2002 and it began leaking in 2008. That water heater had a 9 year warranty. I had it replaced with a Power Miser 12, with a 12 year warranty. This water heater is now leaking 7 years later. When I called to arrange a replacement, I was told that this warranty is no good since I did not pay extra when it was replace in 2008. I was never told this in all my phone calls to Sears in 2008 and during the horrific process I experienced, in 2008, where I had to find the plumber myself and make all the phone calls and arrangements myself since everything Sears was supposed to be doing and they were not.

Now I am told there is no warranty on this Power Miser 12 which is 9 years old. I will never get another appliance from Sears again. In my conversation with the representative he just ended it with "I hope the rest of your day goes better." If you are planning on buying a water heater, I suggest you run away from Sears. They are not the company they used to be. They just don't care anymore about reputation. I will be shopping for a new water heater from Home Depot or some big box store.

In 2007 I purchased and installed a Sears WaterMiser 12. After 7 years and 351 days it started to leak from the top. A call to Sears (please note it is NOT 24 hours service) for a warranty claim. I was told it would be $85 for the service call. The service would be between 8:30AM and 4PM. Night before service, an automated message was left claiming the service would be between 12noon and 4pm. Service called at 10:30AM. Service confirmed, yes it is leaking. He took many photos and ordered the part he thinks is faulty.

Part (9003487) is covered under warranty. However, to replace the part another $85 service call is needed. The cost of the part is $40.04. Based on a search of this issue, the anode is the problem but it is the beginning of the end for the water heater as corrosion has set in and it will (according to others and the service rep) leak from other places on the top of the tank.

After 8 years leaking so badly could not be used. Called 800 number and they said it would be 8 days before they could look at. Who can wait that long without hot water? Call center is located overseas. They would not tell me where they are at. It must be a secret. (Pretty sure it was India). Called back and said I would like a US rep. They said that was not possible. I finally gave up and had another installed by Lowe's. Beware of these scam artist. They know you can't wait over a week for hot water.

We bought a Kenmore Power Miser 12 from Sears, one of the best they had with 12 years warranty on parts and supply of a new heater in case of leak. Last Friday I found my basement flooded. The WH was dripping water and rust was coming out from under the cap and other places. I stopped the water and turned the electricity off, then called Sears. They said s.b. would call us within 24 hours to set up an appointment. However nobody called. The same thing was happening again and again from Saturday, Sunday, Monday. This morning (Tuesday) they told me that they have no technicians in my area to verify it. (It's laughable - I live in NYC suburb and 1 mile from Sears store in Yorktown Heights). I was told to find a licensed water heater technician to confirm that water heater is not repairable and then they can replace it. I have to pay whatever the technician for verification asks and then the installation itself.

When I asked them for more details how to arrange things, how the technician will let them know that the WH really needs to be replaced they disconnected me. Even after another 40 minutes on phone I could not get back to my case again. Knowing that customers cannot wait too long with leaking water heater, they frustrate them but doing nothing, telling them lies that s.b. would help them. The only purpose of this bureaucracy is to give up their rights. I hate Sears for this. Now I am stuck. I cannot get anybody from Sears to come and fix it or replace it. I am sorry I didn't get a tank from somewhere else. I won't shop at Sears again.

I purchased a water heater by phone with a **, he assured me that the WH would be installed the same day. I received a call from Eyman Plumbing who couldn't install for 4 days!! ** should have ck'd to make sure the WH could be installed before making that statement and taking my money. My money cannot be returned for 7-10 days and water is destroying my laminate floor. Every # I called, no one could help and passed me to the next person. Sears has fallen from grace and I do not wish to ever do business again with them.

I bought a Kenmore Power Miser 12 from Sears, suppose to be the best they had. I had it replaced two times because of faulty tanks, and the tanks were leaking. Got the third and now it is leaking again. Checked the elements and it was not the cause, leaking behind the insulation. Cannot get a live person at Sears on the phone. Went by and they want to set up an appointment for a tech to come verify it is the tank for 109 dollars. I think I am thru with Sears products, unless they email and get this resolved today. Please do not buy a Power Miser 12 hot water heater from Sears. Now I have a floor full of rusty water to clean up. I wish they would contact me today 6/2/2015. No wonder they are have hurting finance's.

Kenmore Power miser 12 electric water heater. Every couple of years the thermostat goes out. The part is under warranty, but will cost $181 to have Sears fix it.

Tried to call manager in service about - 6 times, just kept getting transferred and dropped. Shouldn't this be considered under the lemon law for appliances. 4 times in less than 10 years! And I can't get anyone to talk to there. Called two different 800 numbers. Such a rip off. My next water heater will NOT be from Sears or a Kenmore that is for sure. We drain and do the proper maintenance every year for this. We never had any issues with our old water heater with the thermostat.

Called for service on a nonworking Kenmore water heater. Appointment set for Tuesday. No call, no show. Called service center and come to find out representative scheduled accidentally on different day. No apology and missed work. Rescheduled appointment for Thursday. Customer called to confirm and appt was confirmed. Near end of appt time was called by repair person that they would not make it and we would have to reschedule. Called service center to make it right. Got an apology this time and a guy named ** but he could only offer to reschedule a third time for next Tuesday. Missed out on work. Informed ** they lost a customer to purchase Kenmore products for life since he could not correct situation. Fyi... Based on my experiences I think the call center is outsourced out of the country which does not bode well for existing and future customer satisfaction in the US.

My daughter's Kenmore water heater stopped working. The code indicated a bad gas valve. I called my plumber, who told me he had just gotten a call from another customer with the same model of water heater with the same exact problem on the same day. Sounds like there may be a failure date programmed into the circuit board! Warranty was a nightmare. I was 4 years into a 6 year warranty, and Sears didn't want to honor the warranty. Both my son-in-law and I were told that the water heater wasn't under warranty. Last Kenmore Product I'll ever buy.

Purchased a Sear Roto Swirl Water Heater (model 409.7341820) May 2012 for $494.00 with a 9 year warranty. It stopped producing hot water today, 2.5 years old, and when I called the 1-800 warranty number they said "We do not provide any troubleshooting advice for this product." They offered to have the service distribution office call me within 3 business days (it's Saturday so 5 days) to arrange a service technician to visit in the coming weeks. After stating that was unacceptable the service person had no response. Very disappointed at paying a high price to Sears who we have faithfully purchased all of our large appliances from over the past 40 years... not any longer, goodbye Sears!

This maybe the most disappointing review I have ever written. I grew up with Sears. I have always been a loyal and trusting customer. First of all Sears is no longer Sears. Now it is Sears Holdings (think Chrysler before Fiat bought them). My Story, I purchased a top of the line Sears Kenmore water heater from Sears Montclair 3 years ago. It was warranted 12 years. Over the Thanksgiving weekend 2014 it failed. It blew out all the hot water onto my garage floor. It occurred during the late evening on a weekend. I purchased a new top of the line water heater from Home Depot before they closed and had it installed by a plumber.

When I went to return the old water heater to Sears the fun and games began. I started off going to the Montclair store where I purchased it in person. Zero help. They knew nothing and could only refer me to an 800 number. From there I went to 3 more numbers before sending me back to Sears Montclair. The last contact through Montclair referred me to another 800 number Sears is not Sears of old. This is probably my last business transaction with Sears or their partner Kmart. Sears no longer has a reputable service dep’t and should not be trusted for large purchases. I must note that the workers were kind and pleasant. I call it business confusing or intent to cause chaos and frustration with a smile on their face. I wish I could recommend some other store but I have found out that they all sub contract service and routine wait for appliances.

I had the Survivor installed by a neighbor in 1998. Never drained the tank, never had a service call, nor never replaced any parts. The day before I replaced the tank I measured the water temperature and it was 130 degrees F. I did not replace the tank because it was leaking, did not meet temperature, nor any reason other than it was 16 years old and I did not want a flood in the basement. Replaced with a Kenmore.

Sears and Kenmore, once a reputable and reliable company selling quality products such as Kenmore, are now in my opinion in cahoots with each other and have degraded to scam artists out to rip off consumers. I am now completely skeptical with their business practices. I purchased a Kenmore 50 gallon 12 year water heater from Sears last year in June 2013 for $730. My second water heater purchase from them because my last water heater lasted for 9 years and never gave me any problems so I figured why not buy from them again. The 1 year warranty expired so I called my plumber to come out and fix the issue of the thermostat shutting down due to high temperatures for some reason. (The heat dial was never changed or adjusted.)

My plumber came out and said he couldn't fix it because it was an electronic thermostat that he wasn't familiar with so I called Sears to ask about the product I purchased and that my plumber couldn't fix the problem. The Sear representative said that if I were to use another outside technician that the parts would not be warranted by Kenmore. (Okay why?) So I called Kenmore to ask about their warranty on the parts and was given the runaround with the automated system which always led me back to a Sears customer service representative. It was frustrating that I couldn't speak with someone from the Kenmore manufacturer.

Since time was going by, I had no other choice but to get a Sears service technician out there to fix the problem because my tenants had no hot water. Sears said that any of the parts would be warranted and replaced without charge but there would be labor costs. When the Sears technician arrived, he notified me that the thermostat needed to get replaced with a new thermostat. I asked him what kind/brand was the old thermostat and what kind/brand is the new one because I wouldn't want the same one if the last one was defective or unreliable. He then went on to tell me that he wasn't actually going to be replacing the thermostat, but resetting it and needed to flush out the system due to build up of sediment. He also suggested that this sort of maintenance should be done every year. This ended up costing me around $280 for the reset and flush.

I have never had to do this in the past with my water heater appliance. Not only am I pissed that this wastes a ton of water, but I’m also upset that a product like this was even designed and made. When did I buy an oversized Brita Filter for my house that needed flushing? The technician suggested that I purchase the Sears warranty so it wouldn't cost so much in the future. I ended up succumbed to buying a warranty because I supposedly have 9.5 years left on this product.

I will never purchase a Kenmore product without reading the Consumer Affairs report on it. I did some investigation and further found out that my situation wasn't a special case. There were a number of complaints from other consumers who experienced the same exact thing. I filed a complaint (#**) with Sears and I will also report this to the Federal Trade Commission as suggested from another consumer post. I feel that this was worth sharing with others in case anyone is in the market of buying a new water heater. DO NOT BUY KENMORE or SHOP AT SEARS.

I purchased a Kenmore 55 Gallon Electric Water Heater (Model# 153321543) and had installed by Sears 03/23/09. It started showing water seepage around the base 12/5/14. Sears wants $519.97 in labor and fees to replace with a new on "under warranty." I'll go elsewhere and buy a new one before paying them additional money for selling substandard equipment and providing deceptive warranty claims.

Several times a week the pilot light goes out and must be relighted. This is due to a design flaw according to my plumber who states the filter is clogged. The filter cannot be cleaned or replaced because it is not accessible. Solution? Buy a new water heater (not a Kenmore, of course).

There is no warranty! You cannot return to the store where purchased. You are told it will be repaired or replaced for a $79 charge. When tech shows up that $79 is just a service call and it will be over $300 for installation. They play the best runaround.

Purchased a 40 gallon gas water tank in May of 2014, in September of 2014 no hot water, called Sears for repair. It took a week for the appointment, out he came and told me it was the thermocouple and had to be ordered. Told me after I received it to call and make an appointment for tech to come out and install. Took 4 days for thermocouple to arrive and another week for tech to come out to put in. So far 3 weeks with no hot water. Now he puts it in and it works for 2 days. Called Sears again and again. I am without hot water for another week till they can get out to me. I am waiting for service tech to show up and I know he will tell me that I need another thermocouple and that will take another 3-4 days for it to get to me, and then I will have to call sears again for another appointment which will take another week or two. I am on a warranty with Sears and under that no cost to me, but they will replace the tank if after 4 visits it can't be fixed, so if I add it up correctly it will be six months of cold showers before they replace this defective water tank, at 65 what the heck.

I am thinking of contacting the attorney general and having Sears and Kenmore investigated with hopefully a lawsuit being filed. Too many people are having problems with Sears and Kenmore that something needs to be done. If they can recall cars, why can't they recall water heaters and fix the problem. There is also the federal trade commission, that complaints can be filed and let me tell you they do investigate and get things done. I suggest everyone who has had problems file with the FTC enough complaints and this will make the FTC take notice and fix the problem. There is also facebook, twitter and social groups that the news media will start to pay attention. Sears isn't what it use to be, and cutting corners by knowingly selling defective products isn't going to keep customers, and Yeah I am sorry I didn't get a tank from Home Depot. I won't shop at Sears again.

We purchased a 50 gallon Kenmore water heater. Thinking that a 6 year warranty and a Kenmore was a good brand. However less than 18 months later, we had a flooded basement and learned of Sears "warranty" coverage. They will pay for the $19 part to repair the water heater if I pay the $200 trip and labor charges for a $350 water heater. I can purchase the part on my own for $30. I would rather go to a competitor and purchase a new one than spend an additional $200 for a 6 year warranty "defective" appliance.

Our Kenmore water heater had a catastrophic failure last September resulting in tens of thousands of dollars of damage to my home. Fortunately my insurance company covered the expenses for a new floor, walls, paint and housing for my family for the 2 months we could not reside in the home. However, Sears and Kenmore refused to reimburse me for the cost and installation of a new water heater citing that the warranty had lapsed by four months. However an independent engineering company retained by my insurance company deemed the failure was due to manufacturer defect. This was the second failed Kenmore water heater in my home. I will never do business with Sears and Kenmore again.

We purchased a 40-gallon capacity Kenmore Water Heater Model# 153.330220 from Orchard Supply Hardware almost 2 years ago. We chose to purchase a Kenmore water heater since Kenmore generally has a good reputation for making quality appliances. In December 2013, the water heater stopped working so we called the Kenmore Sales & Service number listed on the unit. They sent out a Service Technician who told us that the unit had a "Code 4" due to the sediment that had accumulated at the bottom of the tank. The sediment was from the hard water in our home - despite the fact that we have a water filtering system. He explained that the sediment was setting off the "Code 4" since the unit was detecting that the water temperature was extremely high. He replaced a valve & flushed the unit. The parts & service were covered because it fell within the 1st year of warranty for parts & service.

Then again, on 7/23/14, the water heater again stopped working & displayed a "Code 4" yet again. This time when we called for Kenmore service, we were informed that we no longer had a Service Protection Plan since the unit comes with a 6-year warranty for parts, but only 1 year for service. However, we could purchase a "Sears Protection Agreement-Smart Service Agreement" for $199, which would cover all parts & service/labor for 1 year. Since we need hot water, we paid $199 & scheduled a "Repair Appointment" for today.

The Service Tech came out today & said the same thing that the last tech had said - the accumulated sediment at the bottom of the tank is setting off the "Code 4". He informed us that we needed to have the tank flushed, which would cost an additional $42.50 (since this was considered "Maintenance" & not covered by the Service Protection Plan). He explained that he needed to flush it first then reset the unit in order to remove the "Code 4". If after flushing the unit, it would not reset, then he would replace the valve. In the end, he flushed & reset it but did not need to replace the valve. However, the Service Receipt that he gave me details the following "Labor Performed - Protection Agreement: E.C.O. Replace - $176.00". When I asked the tech why it stated "Replace" when nothing was replaced, he explained there is no option to indicate a "Reset" & that $176.00 was the starting price for having a Repair Tech come to our home to diagnose & do any repairs. He did recommend that we flush out the tank 1-2 times a year.

So after spending $241.50 today on a unit that cost us approximately $460 almost 2 years, I feel very cheated & taken advantage of, as a consumer. I'm fairly certain that in another 6-8 months, the unit will have another "Code 4" or something else wrong with it. What an absolute piece of garbage we bought & what lousy customer service we have received from Sears/Kenmore! They have found a way to make money off a defective product that is obviously very high maintenance - maintenance which coincidentally is not covered by their wonderful "Service Protection Agreement". We will never buy another Kenmore!!! Sears/Kenmore are complete crooks...Buyers beware!! Shame on you, Sears/Kenmore!

By the way, Sears/Kenmore will not consider replacing the unit unless there are 4-5 service repairs on file for the unit or unless their Service Tech recommends it.

Kenmore Water Heater Company Profile