Find a Water Heaters partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Whirlpool Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whirlpool?

Original review: April 10, 2018

Absolutely terrible product. Have had nothing but problems with it since I got it. After 4 months the pilot started going out every couple of days. Would have to vacuum the filter just to get it to light. They eventually sent me a screen to wrap around the bottom, that would only extend the interval to maybe a week instead of going out every few days. Now tonight it won't even relight! So tomorrow I'm buying another heater and throwing this piece of junk out, a waste of $750.00 for two years of headaches. Don't, trust me. Don't buy this garbage of a water heater. And like others I bought it a Lowe's, done with both of these stores!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

We bought the Whirlpool NU50T122-403 50 Gal water heater from Lowe’s and very disappointed that after 3 years it will cost more to repair it than replace it. The Whirlpool gas water heater and our Whirlpool refrigerator have been the worst purchases ever made. Whirlpool has been unreliable in our house and the repairs and downtime have been extraordinary. We have replaced with a Rheem from Home Depot.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

For the last 20 days, I have to light the water heater at least 2 to 3 times a day. Maintenance told me how annoying this energy efficient change has turned to be, more like a nightmare. Multiply by 164 units at different times. Absolutely hate it...

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

In 2012 we purchased a Whirlpool Nu40T61-403 water heater from Lowe’s that I installed due to us not being able to afford a plumber. I have since become a plumber. This morning while attempting to shower I noticed that the water was lukewarm with the shower valve turned all the way to hot. I got dressed and inspected the heater. I began to diagnose the problem. Pilot was out and Gas control valve signal light was off. Lit the pilot and it appeared to be functioning normally. My first thought was the thermopile had failed but seeing the pilot stayed lit this proved to not be the case. I was extremely relieved at that point. Turned the temperature control knob to high and the burner kicked on. At first it appeared to be functioning fine. But within about 20 seconds I began to hear detonations within the sealed combustion chamber.

I turned the gas control valve off and imminently called Whirlpool. Literally spent no time on hold. The very helpful CSR asked for the serial number on my heater. She then informed me my heater was under warranty. I requested a new gas control valve and thermopile and informed her I was a plumber and had diagnosed the problem or at least what I thought was the problem. She said no problem only that I would have to pay $30.00 for overnight shipping if I wanted it. They provide UPS ground free of charge. Not a big deal to me. Gave her my debit card information and received my confirmation number. Told her to have a nice day and that was that. Being the perfectionist I am I called my company’s water heater master and asked him for his opinion after ordering the parts. I told him the symptoms and he said that it could also be the burner assembly and that I should inspect that as well.

Upon pulling the burner assembly and inspecting it I noticed 2 quarter sized holes in the screen on top of the burner as well as the screen being heavily corroded. The point of the screen is to keep the gas contained within the burner assembly so it burns properly. So the problem was the burner assembly not the gas control valve.

I immediately called back Whirlpool to inform them I would like them to also send out the burner assembly. They told me the order for the gas control valve had already shipped and it would have to be two separate orders but that they would waive the $30.00 for the second package's overnight shipping. The packages will be here tomorrow by noon and although I have no hot water for the night being in the industry I know that these things happen and am grateful that Whirlpool is sending me $650.00+ worth of parts for free and not trying to fight me on it. Amazing customer service reps that fully honor warranty. No holding and waived the second package's fee.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Installed a Whirlpool EcoSmart Electric Water Heater 5 years ago in my elderly Mother-in-law's home. About 3-4 times a year, I have to make a trip to her house to reset the electronic controller. Sometimes it's a daytime trip, sometimes at night. You never know when it's going to trip off. It's not an electric circuit/amperage issue, it's internal with the electronic circuit. There seems to have been a lot of complaints about these units since the beginning of the electronic controllers. I contacted Whirlpool the first time and the second time it failed. 5 years later, it's beginning to fail more often but Whirlpool does not seem to be interested.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Bought a Whirlpool water heater in 2013 from Lowe's. Model/Serial - N40S61-403; 1312T478726. It has a Honeywell thermostat control valve, model WV8840B1109 that is now defective after only 5 years. Pilot light went out once last year and had to get someone to repair and relight. It has gone out again, 11/5/17, won't stay lit, and valve is not letting enough gas through to keep the pilot light lit. Spoke with a plumber who said it would be more cost effective to replace entire water heater. He said problems with this water heater and control valve are very common. Not sure if Lowe's is even selling this unit anymore. My research has alerted me to the many problems with this unit. I have to believe that the manufacturer HAD to know about the issues and therefore is negligent. It looks as if there may be a class action lawsuit in the future. This is ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

AVOID Whirlpool water heaters - Bought two 12 year warranty water heaters from Lowe’s in 2014. Model NU50T121-403 from Whirlpool. Thermocouple went out within the first 4 months. Called WP, they gave me a number to call for an authorized contractor to come out. Made certain to tell me that PARTS were covered, but not labor. $300 for the labor and two days later, hot water is back on. SAME THING happens again 6 months later, then AGAIN in Sept of this year. So 3 guys have been out to all replace the same part. This morning, hot water is out. Both tanks. Can’t keep pilot light lit. Called WP. They gave me more numbers of authorized contractors. No hot water and now I’ve got another $300 I owe to fix the SAME BROKEN PART. I wonder if this is how their last class action lawsuit got started?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

On May 15, 2017, I purchased a new Whirlpool Water Heater, unknowingly made by American Water Heater Co., from Lowe's (receipt attached). Model Number ES40R10-55 with a 10 year warranty. The water heater was installed using the directions in the owners manual. Upon turning on the current to the water heater after it was filled with water and all air removed from the plumbing, the module gave a code stating the top element was not working. Called the Technician Assistance Hotline and they gave me a RA number to get a new top element from Lowes. Got that on May 16 and had to call the plumber that is contracted by American Water Heater Co. to come to the house and inspect the heater to make sure it was installed correctly.

The water heater worked once the new element was installed. On Oct. 3, 2017, had more issues with the module stating the top element was not working. Called the Tech. Assistance Hotline and they gave me another RA number to get another top element. On Oct. 4, got the top element and installed it. The water heater started working again. On Oct. 6, the module stated the bottom element was not working. Called the Tech. Assistant Hotline and had the plumber come out. He determined that he could not find out why it was doing this and also said that both elements were good along with the element that I removed on Oct. 4, which I still had.

Since then, the module has been giving codes stating that both elements are bad and I have not had any hot water since Oct. 7. American Water Heater Co., Whirlpool, and Lowe's all refuse to give me a refund for this piece of junk! All blame the other for the problems and none will take any responsibility for the water heater not working. I will never buy another appliance with the Whirlpool name and definitely will not buy anything made by American Water Heater Co. I also will never buy another appliance from Lowe's as they are not willing to help me in this matter. If you do not want to experience the headache and frustration of owning a new appliance that does not work, I would suggest that you do the same!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Whirlpool water heater with the sensor for fumes. First time it failed, they talked me into replacing the control box on the front panel which was the WRONG fix. It took me nearly an hr to get it off because it was screwed on so tight I had to pound it with a hammer. After reading all the reviews it's evident the underside gets clogged with dust and dirt. Just outright POOR ENGINEERING. My washer/dryer are also Whirlpool and I wish I had my old Sears Kenmore back. Will NEVER buy Whirlpool again. Worst brand EVER!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

My water heater burner went out after just over 3 years caused the pilot to go out. I was worried that although all parts were covered for 12 years and labor for only 3 and the labor would be very expensive. When I called and told them about the problem they said the part was covered and would ship it next day air but 10 minutes later another rep called and said they would cover the labor as well and to check a nearby service company as they might have the part in stock. Long story short without having to scream and yell my problem was corrected within 8 hours and all I have to do is drop off the new burner at the service company when it arrives. I have been lucky and haven't had many warranty problems in my life but none that I have had have been resolved so painlessly. I will never buy

anything but Whirlpool from this day forward. Thank you Whirlpool.

Whirlpool Water Heaters Company Information