Protect What Matters Most

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

Reliance Water Heaters Reviews

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

After 31 years of use, I just replaced my Reliance 40 gal Model 501 gas water heater. It was still working fine but I noticed a small amount of water under the heater and I felt that a new heater would provide hotter water. The original heater had a 3 year warranty and sold for $178! Reliance made an incredible product... I hope the new one that replaced it is half as good.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I got this to replace my other hot water heater I loved. After my Reliance Model 140 Indoor was a month old it started to acted up. Plenty of air flow. Well since it was still acting up the guy was going to vent it outside today. Never had a code to venting. It would just say code 941 which is exhaust is higher than 149. So this past Saturday it went out error code 721 gas solenoid drive circuit failure check 111 and 121. OK I did let's see 111 Three Times Ignition failure

• Check if the Hi-limit switch (Part #411) is properly functioning.
• Check for connection/breakage of wires (Part #412, 707, 708, 709 710), burn marks on the computer board (Part #701), and/or soot on the flame rod (Part #108).
• Check if there is a buzzing spark ignition sound coming from the burner (Part #101) when water heater prepares for combustion.
• Listen for the double “clunk” sound coming from gas valve assembly (Part #102) when the water heater goes into combustion.
• Check if there is leaking from heat exchanger (Part #401).
• Check that the gas is turned on.
• Check gas supply. 121 Three Times Loss of flame • Check if the Hi-limit switch (Part #411) is properly functioning.
• Check for connection/breakage of wires (Part #412, 707, 708, 710), burn marks on the computer board (Part #701), and/or soot on the flame rod (Part #108).
• Check if there is leaking from heat exchanger (Part #401).

• Check gas supply

The guy that came out today check it and said the board went out to do a warranty on it. So I call them the lady from start to finish said air flow and to have my gas line checked. Told her it was told her when. She goes air flow all she would say. I told her again the does do not say anything about the air flow it about the Ignition it not lighting. She goes yes because not airflow. then she goes, "I will have my supervisor call you," and hung up. I am out $1000 for a hot water heater that the company will not do a warranty on when the guy told me to do a warranty because the board went out.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I had a hot water tank replaced in July 2018. It is now August 2019. I have not had proper hot water for year now. I've had to call the repairman 7 times and they've not been able to fix the problem. When I turn on the hot water, the tank rumbles. I'm told because the vent pipes are not adjusted correctly. I really don't know what more I can do and I might want to sell my place in the near future.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

After my 4-year old hot water boiler failed, they sent a tech out 3 days later. He was fine, but couldn't figure out the issue. His solution was to order a new control panel. After another full week of cold showers, the panel was still not delivered. I have called 3 more times trying to figure out how I can just get hot water and am getting the runaround. I am just lucky this is summer, or I would also have no heat for 2 weeks and counting as well. They are very happy to take your cash but not so good at honoring the service contract. I cannot rate them 0 stars or I would. Please go elsewhere and save yourself some trouble.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I bought a house with an expiring 10 yr rental agreement. Called to see about canceling, and was quoted a $840 buyout clause. A brand new model costs about the same. But the good news is I can buy a new one and disconnect and drain the water heater myself. Thanks Reliance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliance?

Original review: July 9, 2019

I bought a water heater three years ago. Now, for no reason, the burner assembly has gone bad. I cannot imagine how cheaply these must be made to fail so quickly. When I called to order parts, the representative interrogated me about the location of the heater and then refused to send parts due to a location. It seems that this company make low quality products and then finds excuses to not honor warranties. Avoid!

Original review: June 1, 2019

Don’t believe the 24 hour service they say they have. We had the hot water heater break down on Friday. We told them it was leaking everywhere. So they booked a person to come out on Saturday between 1 and 6. The technician arrived at 3, looked at the tank and said it needed replacing but he didn’t have the tank on his truck and his shift was ending so we have to wait until Monday instead. His recommendation was to put towels down to stop the water until then???? Logic would be to have someone come out with the parts on the first visit and not just have an inspection and tell you something that was common sense.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We have been with Reliance since 2005 and every so often our water starts to turn yellow. Usually when we call they send a reliable service tech to fix it however in this last year their customer service has gone to the crapper. Since January we have been trying to fix the same problem with the yellow water. One tech came out. Said it’s because of a valve on the water heater so would we like to sign up for their great plumbing plan they have. So we did. The guy came to fix it and Lo and behold still yellow water. Go figure. Then I call them again. It is now May.

I told them exactly the issues and even how to fix the issue as per the last 6 times I watched it being fixed. Well they send out a service man just to look. He has nothing to do with repairs. That requires another person. Now I’m pissed. I call Reliance to ask why they sent a useless person out after I went over this 3 times not to mention we are now into May. So the girl on the phone s says, "Well I can direct your call to customer resolutions." I said ok. Then the next thing I hear, "You have reached customer resolutions. Our office is closed." Unbelievable. What a garbage company. I’ve had it. Time for a change.

Original review: April 11, 2019

They cancelled my appointment I booked two days ago for a water heater that is leaking in my basement. When I told the rep that there was damage being caused she told me to use a towel? I’m not happy and will be holding this company liable for not attending to their scheduled appointment.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Inferior product. Water heater less than 2 1/2 years old will not light. Replaced thermostat, over $100. Still not lighting. Next step replace thermopile, over $150. If this doesn't work will have to replace water heater.

Reliance expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Operating as a sub-brand of A. O. Smith, Reliance offers a wide variety of water heater sizes and capacities. Consumers can find high- efficiency, gas, electric, tankless and commercial water heaters.

• Types: Reliance offers high-efficiency gas and propane, electric, tankless, commercial and pump tank water heaters. Each type includes varying capacities, types and technology. Consumers can go online and apply filters based on their needs to help narrow down their choices.

• Electric heat-pump water heaters: Reliance boasts an energy efficient, electric heat pump water heater. It operates by pulling in heat from the surrounding environment to heat water.  Per Reliance, consumers can make their money back in three years based on how much they save in energy.

• Self-cleaning: Reliance offers two types of self-cleaning water heaters. Self-cleaning helps prevent sediment buildup over time which can cause leaks and take up space. This option is more expensive but can save you money in the long run.

• Commercial water heaters: For consumers looking for a commercial water heater, Reliance offers four types: Light-duty gas, dairy barn electric, medium-duty gas and medium duty gas-low NOx. LowNOx is only available in Texas and meets the low NOx emissions requirements.

• Availability: Consumers can go online for a full list of stores that carry Reliance water heaters and locate the closest one.

• Best for: Consumers needing a residential or commercial water heater.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs