Reliance Water Heaters

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

View Plans

Reliance Water Heaters Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliance Water Heaters?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliance?

Original review: July 3, 2022

My water heater just went out on me. The model was a Sta-Kleen 502. The warranty was 5 years. The mfg date on the data sticker was 1991. This bad boy had been in service for 31 years and had not missed a beat. The mode of failure was minor leaking at the bottom. I notice a small amount of water in the drip pan and shut it down. I wish I could buy another one just like it. Too bad it is not made anymore.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

I bought a hot water heater in 2015. It started leaking and was bowed at top in 2019. Got a replacement on 3/26/19. The heater started leaking again. Called Meeks (where I bought it) and they informed me they quit Reliance because of returns and that in that particular style the mold around the elements are bad.

Called Reliance and told them what Meeks told me and I just wanted a refund on my money and they informed me my warranty run out in 10/21. That the warranty doesn't start over when you get a replacement. I have pictures and everything documented. I had to go buy another brand and they won't make good on their product. I will never buy another product from them and will go to every measure to ensure that consumers know to stay away from this product. My first hot water heater that I replaced the Reliance with lasted me 28 years! It is ridiculous that they won't even last through their warranty!

Get buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

Jan 2017 Bought new & professionally installed. Jan 2020 had to replace gas control valve with MY labor expense! Jan 2022 had to replace entire unit due to burner failure & internal/external tank corrosion. After 1 1/2hrs on hold, hung up. Called back & optioned to wait for return call… 10 days later & still no call!! Company name should be changed to UNRELIABLE WATER HEATERS & Customer Service should be renamed Customer Avoidance!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I bought a Reliance 40gal NORT970 heater in 1996. It was still working as of yesterday. But it developed a leak recently, and had to be removed. We sell Reliance where I work, and we don't get many complaints or returns. I plan to buy another Reliance heater.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I purchased a model 9-40-ekrt water heater in 11/2015. It has a 9 yr. warranty, after 5 yrs. it began to leak. Reliance replaced it with a model 6-40-eort, 6 yr. warranty. After installation on 3/2020, heater kept blowing circuit. Called support they told me it needed higher voltage circuit breaker. Replaced breaker, still not heating water properly. Called support again, was told there was no warranty on this heater because it was a replacement. They would call a service tech. at my expense.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Our Reliance water heater was installed in 2014 spring or summer (factory date October 2013). It is leaking. Still shining and looks like brand new, just out of the factory. Need replacement. By reading all the reviews on this site, I have come up with the conclusion that, it does not matter which brand, the industry is gearing toward DISPOSABLE - water heaters every 6 years and replacing them with the ones does not last long (like in old times). The more recent installation, the more likely it will need replacement. Check all the reviews on this site. Seems like everyone comment who had the installed 10-25 years ago, they lasted much longer. Those times are gone.

My new water will be installed this Friday and I talked to company who installs and I said - it does not matter which brand because I do not expect is last more than 6 years. It has become with all the technological advancements (should last longer), exactly the opposite. They make that they last fewer years to get more money out of consumers.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

After 31 years of use, I just replaced my Reliance 40 gal Model 501 gas water heater. It was still working fine but I noticed a small amount of water under the heater and I felt that a new heater would provide hotter water. The original heater had a 3 year warranty and sold for $178! Reliance made an incredible product... I hope the new one that replaced it is half as good.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I got this to replace my other hot water heater I loved. After my Reliance Model 140 Indoor was a month old it started to acted up. Plenty of air flow. Well since it was still acting up the guy was going to vent it outside today. Never had a code to venting. It would just say code 941 which is exhaust is higher than 149. So this past Saturday it went out error code 721 gas solenoid drive circuit failure check 111 and 121. OK I did let's see 111 Three Times Ignition failure

• Check if the Hi-limit switch (Part #411) is properly functioning.
    • Check for connection/breakage of wires (Part #412, 707, 708, 709 710), burn marks on the computer board (Part #701), and/or soot on the flame rod (Part #108).
    • Check if there is a buzzing spark ignition sound coming from the burner (Part #101) when water heater prepares for combustion.
    • Listen for the double “clunk” sound coming from gas valve assembly (Part #102) when the water heater goes into combustion.
    • Check if there is leaking from heat exchanger (Part #401).
    • Check that the gas is turned on.
    • Check gas supply. 121 Three Times Loss of flame • Check if the Hi-limit switch (Part #411) is properly functioning.
    • Check for connection/breakage of wires (Part #412, 707, 708, 710), burn marks on the computer board (Part #701), and/or soot on the flame rod (Part #108).
    • Check if there is leaking from heat exchanger (Part #401).

• Check gas supply

The guy that came out today check it and said the board went out to do a warranty on it. So I call them the lady from start to finish said air flow and to have my gas line checked. Told her it was told her when. She goes air flow all she would say. I told her again the does do not say anything about the air flow it about the Ignition it not lighting. She goes yes because not airflow. then she goes, "I will have my supervisor call you," and hung up. I am out $1000 for a hot water heater that the company will not do a warranty on when the guy told me to do a warranty because the board went out.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I had a hot water tank replaced in July 2018. It is now August 2019. I have not had proper hot water for year now. I've had to call the repairman 7 times and they've not been able to fix the problem. When I turn on the hot water, the tank rumbles. I'm told because the vent pipes are not adjusted correctly. I really don't know what more I can do and I might want to sell my place in the near future.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

After my 4-year old hot water boiler failed, they sent a tech out 3 days later. He was fine, but couldn't figure out the issue. His solution was to order a new control panel. After another full week of cold showers, the panel was still not delivered. I have called 3 more times trying to figure out how I can just get hot water and am getting the runaround. I am just lucky this is summer, or I would also have no heat for 2 weeks and counting as well. They are very happy to take your cash but not so good at honoring the service contract. I cannot rate them 0 stars or I would. Please go elsewhere and save yourself some trouble.

Reliance author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Operating as a sub-brand of A. O. Smith, Reliance offers a wide variety of water heater sizes and capacities. Consumers can find high- efficiency, gas, electric, tankless and commercial water heaters.

• Types: Reliance offers high-efficiency gas and propane, electric, tankless, commercial and pump tank water heaters. Each type includes varying capacities, types and technology. Consumers can go online and apply filters based on their needs to help narrow down their choices.

• Electric heat-pump water heaters: Reliance boasts an energy efficient, electric heat pump water heater. It operates by pulling in heat from the surrounding environment to heat water.  Per Reliance, consumers can make their money back in three years based on how much they save in energy.

• Self-cleaning: Reliance offers two types of self-cleaning water heaters. Self-cleaning helps prevent sediment buildup over time which can cause leaks and take up space. This option is more expensive but can save you money in the long run.

• Commercial water heaters: For consumers looking for a commercial water heater, Reliance offers four types: Light-duty gas, dairy barn electric, medium-duty gas and medium duty gas-low NOx. LowNOx is only available in Texas and meets the low NOx emissions requirements.

• Availability: Consumers can go online for a full list of stores that carry Reliance water heaters and locate the closest one.

Reliance Water Heaters Company Information