Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Reliance Water Heaters
3.60/5

Reliance Water Heaters

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

173 Reliance Water Heaters Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 1, 2019

Don’t believe the 24 hour service they say they have. We had the hot water heater break down on Friday. We told them it was leaking everywhere. So they booked a person to come out on Saturday between 1 and 6. The technician arrived at 3, looked at the tank and said it needed replacing but he didn’t have the tank on his truck and his shift was ending so we have to wait until Monday instead. His recommendation was to put towels down to stop the water until then???? Logic would be to have someone come out with the parts on the first visit and not just have an inspection and tell you something that was common sense.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We have been with Reliance since 2005 and every so often our water starts to turn yellow. Usually when we call they send a reliable service tech to fix it however in this last year their customer service has gone to the crapper. Since January we have been trying to fix the same problem with the yellow water. One tech came out. Said it’s because of a valve on the water heater so would we like to sign up for their great plumbing plan they have. So we did. The guy came to fix it and Lo and behold still yellow water. Go figure. Then I call them again. It is now May.

I told them exactly the issues and even how to fix the issue as per the last 6 times I watched it being fixed. Well they send out a service man just to look. He has nothing to do with repairs. That requires another person. Now I’m pissed. I call Reliance to ask why they sent a useless person out after I went over this 3 times not to mention we are now into May. So the girl on the phone s says, "Well I can direct your call to customer resolutions." I said ok. Then the next thing I hear, "You have reached customer resolutions. Our office is closed." Unbelievable. What a garbage company. I’ve had it. Time for a change.

Get expert buying tips about Water Heaters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

They cancelled my appointment I booked two days ago for a water heater that is leaking in my basement. When I told the rep that there was damage being caused she told me to use a towel? I’m not happy and will be holding this company liable for not attending to their scheduled appointment.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Inferior product. Water heater less than 2 1/2 years old will not light. Replaced thermostat, over $100. Still not lighting. Next step replace thermopile, over $150. If this doesn't work will have to replace water heater.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Reliance's customer service, based on a few emails and one phone conversation, leave a lot to be desired. I purchased a 50 gallon electric water heater, model 6-50-EORS-110, from my local hardware store. I helped their staff member load it into my truck and took it home to install the unit. After removing the box, I found some concealed damage to the top casing near the electrical connection. I determined it was most likely just cosmetic damage, a series of dents/scrapes 8" in length, and decided to proceed with installation.

Unit has functioned well for 3 weeks, but based on the sticker on the unit advising me to call Reliance about any issues, I emailed their customer service to see if I could get a replacement piece (top cap of unit, secured by sheet metal screws). They emailed back and asked me to call them. When I did, customer service agent advised me that nothing could be done for cosmetic damage. I offered to pay for a replacement piece and was told that they did not have that as a replacement part for my unit. No replacement parts? That's not acceptable for a brand new unit and the demeanor of the woman I spoke to on the phone was poor for someone representing this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Reliance?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We moved into our home in January 18, 2018, and the first bill we got from Reliance was on January 26, 2018. This bill was for over $400 and included charges for 2017 and a significant late payment charge. I assumed whoever started our account just accidentally put the wrong year in but when I called the person was so incredibly rude but assured me that the charges were fixed. Over the next couple of weeks I was harassed by daily multiple phone calls with a message saying that we owe a significant late payment and that if we did not pay our names would be sent to a collections agency. I called again and they assured me to ignore these phone calls and that they would waive the "late fees" that kept being added to our account. Then we get a "final notice" in the mail for $120 dollars and when I called again to ask about this the lady said that they had been leaving messages about this concern for weeks and that we had significant late fees again.

This happened a few times, where we would have ridiculous charges considering we were just renting a water heater. I would call and the person on the other hand told me everything was fixed, only for the next month to be a another ridiculous fee (plus late fees). The final straw was we finally thought we had everything figured out, and then in April we get a bill under my father-in-law's name with an information package about opening a new account. I don't even know how they got his name but it was our account number, and the worst part was that the customer service representative couldn't explain how/why it happened either. So I called and canceled the service and they came to pick up the water heater May 7, 2018. HOWEVER we still kept getting bills! At first I ignored them because they were for like $7 but today I got another significant one and when I called they were like "Oh you wanted this fee canceled too?".

Also, every time I called over the months of dealing with them I demanded to speak with a supervisor/manager, and NO ONE would connect me to one. There was even one woman that I refused to give her any more answers until I spoke to a supervisor and she just transferred me to a different department. This company has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I am hoping that our ties are now permanently cut with them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

In 2011, we purchased a Reliance 50-gallon hot water heater from George Morlan Plumbing in Portland, Oregon. We had different brands previously and never had a problem. Installation went fine because George Morlan always has great technicians. However, after 2 years, in 2013, the hot water stopped. George Morlan sent out a service tech and he determined that the thermostats had failed. He replaced them under warranty but the labor charge was $99.

Two years later, in 2015, the same thing - no hot water, service tech diagnosed failed thermostats. Another $99. Three years later, in 2018, the same thing - no hot water, service tech diagnosed failed thermostats. This time was not under warranty so the charge was $208. So far, we've spent $406 on a 7-year old water heater, almost 50% what we paid for it originally. Customer service at Reliance was no help - they asked if we had test results from 2011, 2013 and 2018, they said there could be other underlying issues, they said it was out of warranty so nothing could be done. I will never buy another Reliance hot water heater.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I purchased a Reliance water heater 2 months ago for my summer home. The water heater has been nothing but problems. The service center has not resolved my issues and will not honor their own warranty. They keep saying sorry. I will never do business with this company again. I have purchased a Rheem water heater to replace the Reliance defective water heater. Dissatisfied customer.

Original review: April 14, 2018

Buyer beware. I bought a Reliance product and what a joke. Don’t work and operate as promised. Warranty is a joke and once you buy one they don’t offer refunds so you are stuck with this horrible product. Brian could care less about customer satisfaction. Hope they enjoy this review for not doing the right thing... Don’t buy from Lowe's or Meek's.

Original review: March 27, 2018

We have used this company for years having to replace water heaters every 5-6 years because of our hard water. This time they did not honor their warranty and we are finished with them. We can't be sure if it really is our hard water or their product. Regardless, when they state a warranty and then don't honor it, forget them! Don't buy from this company unless you want a headache!!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I purchased Reliance's 40 gallon water heater and after installation and powering up after the tank had filled, there is NO heat. This water heater was dead right out of the box and I had to drive 30 miles to buy this thing from an Ace Hardware store which was in another city. If Reliance does Not correct this problem immediately, my complaint here is only the first step of the actions I intend to take as I will not replace this heater out of my own pocket.

One thing that I feel needs to be relayed to Reliance in the event they attempt to challenge my knowledge about hooking the electrical power up to this heater is that I have studied Electronics/Electricity and have a family member who possesses a Master's degree in Electricity and who has also tutored me in areas where I was in doubt and I have had my work inspected by a county inspector which passed my work without question. I can offer this individual's information, also, if necessary. Therefore, I have a witness to my capabilities in home electrical circuitry. Regardless whether this information is useful makes no difference to me but I am saying that I have a complete understanding and the capability to install such a simple element such as a water heater, that requires electricity.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I contacted Reliance and advised our water heater (640DORS) was not working and that it was still under warranty. I spoke with several people at the company, and told each person, how we had replaced both elements, along with both thermostats. They asked if we had an Ohms meter and was advised we didn't. They then told us we would need one to troubleshoot the water heater, so we purchased one. We called the company back and after them walking us through the Ohms meter testing, they then told us we would have to have a plumber call them back in order to honor the warranty, which we can't afford. I advised them I am in the process of looking into the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, because a company shouldn't require a consumer to hire someone to tell them what is wrong with their product.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I installed a new water tank with Reliance. I never had a problem before but ever since the new tank came in we started experiencing rumbling noises. They came out numerous occasions and can't find any problems. They wanted me to stay by the tank and record the noise, as if I had time on my hands and don't have anything to do because I don't know when it'll happen. So basically the last time the tech came was rude and said next time they come we will get charged after making money from me.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I purchased a model 6-40 EORT 100 on 3/3/2017. Every time I turn on hot water it spews gases, sometime, viscous gases... I called Reliance, talked to an agent, she told me I could change the rod for $40.00 plus freight. And would not guarantee that it would take care of my problem. I rejected her recommendation. I still have the problem, would not purchase another Reliance product.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

June 8, 1991 purchased & installed a Reliance 501 natural gas hot water heater. Model #5-40-NORT6-F (manufactured 1988). Sad to have to replace it now TWENTY-SIX (26) years later. This Ashland, TN company ranks right up there with Scotch Tape, McDonalds & Kleenex & Rheem.

Original review: July 21, 2017

My current Reliance water heater is less than 50 days old and is very efficient at heating the water I use and maintaining it. I'm very pleased as is my family with its performance thus far. I selected it from several available and it met what I was seeking. As I have owned this brand in the past I knew it would meet my expectations. Reliance water heaters perform well over long periods of time. They are quality built and easy to adjust settings. They are also good for the pocket making them a great value. They came in quick order. The installers were very courteous and were very careful to remove the old one with the new without disturbing the area or making a mess throughout the process. It was not a lengthy time so my day was not overly disturbed. They arrived at the time that was scheduled which I appreciated.

Original review: July 20, 2017

The water heater is okay, not too shabby. I like how it warms up the temperature. It feels great. I like it very much and could not live without it, but I dislike that it's bulky and old school looking.

Original review: July 17, 2017

The water heater works great. It has good hot water and good pressure. I am happy with it. It is a good brand. The water heater was in my home when I bought it, and I would buy another one if I had to replace the old one. I would suggest it to friends and family if they needed one.

Original review: July 15, 2017

The water heater is right about okay. But we have lime in our water from being south of the Potomac. So we have to change out our water heaters more than people from other states do. Even though we have the lime issue, this water heater (cross your fingers, knock on wood) has held up quite well. However, I wish it came with a filter to stop the lime from getting in the water heater to begin with. Then we wouldn't have to change them out so much.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Heater failed, spewed water all over the wall and had to replace it. Company would not honor warranty, had to buy a now one, from a different company. The one that failed was from Reliance. Have a new tankless and love it. Do not have to remember to turn it off when we go on vacation. Never run out of hot water. Small and takes up very little room in the garage. But cannot keep the temp regulated as well as I would like in a shower, gets hotter, and I have to readjust. Got the same brand that we put in the rental the second time as a water heater breaks. Handy man that I use for my rentals put it in, he had no trouble. The new one seems to be fine and tenants like it, too.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I purchased a Reliance 30 gallon water heater Model Number 630LORT 301 and have had nothing but problems with this appliance. I have purchased many appliances through the years having lived in CA, AZ, OR and ID and have never registered a complaint. Any issue I have ever had was at least addressed and although not always working out as I had desired at least feel that I was treated as person and treated with respect. Reliance looks to say no and make any communication difficult as soon as you contact them with a issue. The water heater has never heated above the "vacation setting" and turns off as soon as you increase the heat to "low".

When contacted the first thing out of their customer service mouth is wrong installation. What? I had Suburban Propane install and Ed Staub Propane Service recheck the installation. They both verify that it is in the proper room with proper ventilation and plumbing. Reliance will ask for pictures and more pictures and tell you that they will return a call once the photos are received. They DO NOT return calls and when you call them once again and again just repeat wrong installation.

This is the worst company with the poorest customer service department that I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. I would suggest that you avoid this manufacturer and product. Choose another propane water heater from an ethical company. Oh how I wish that I could turn back time concerning this purchase. Read all the other complaints and choose wisely! PS - another brand's propane water heater was in this exact location for 30 years and never had a problem, just wore out.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I am very satisfied with my new Reliance hot water heater that I purchased for my home. It's a very reliable and good quality brand. It will last for years in my home. Also, I received very good customer service. I liked everything about this purchase and there were no issues. Very good experience.

Original review: July 12, 2017

My regular plumber installed my water heater. He selected the brand and I trust his judgment. I am very pleased with my water heater. It has worked great. My water is always nice and hot. Even when we have company and everyone takes a shower, there is always plenty of hot water for everyone. So far it has worked out well for me and my family. As long as it works well, I am happy.

Original review: July 11, 2017

The Reliance Water Heater has been great thus far. It's been durable and the best I've ever had. I like that it has been reliable and better than past brands we have tried. It works great and we haven't had any issues with it. I've had problems with others in the past so this one has been a blessing. The only issue would be that it takes awhile to heat up but that's nitpicking.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I trust the brand Reliance. The water is heated in a timely manner. All the representatives have been great to me and my family too. I have never met more friendly representatives who enjoyed their jobs. They answer all questions we have and they have proven to be very knowledgeable. I enjoyed the small talk, as did my husband. Installation was fast. My family had no issues and the installers were friendly and they were very personable. The service was superb. The price of the water heater could be lower though - I don't like the rising prices. Having a water heater should not be a luxury. However, I would not switch brands solely based on the price of the water heater. It's been a great experience.

Original review: July 9, 2017

The Reliance water heater worked swimmingly and it's surprisingly durable. Haven't need much need of repair over time. When something did go wrong, the easiest thing to do was to shut it off and restart it again with a, simple flip of a switch. The installation process wasn't an issue. It was such a dangerous process, a professional was hired who, in his credit, did a fine job with a pleasant attitude. It can never be understated how splendid it truly is to have warm water in those cold nights when all one could ask for is a decent shower. All in all, a top notch experience.

Original review: July 6, 2017

One day a man from Reliance knocking on my door. He say he is change hot water tank in my area. I ask, "It will cost me anything?" Answer was, "No." I said, "Ok." A month later, I get a bill. I call they told me their monthly rental. "No bring my back I own my." They say, "Ok." Never being. 3 years later they send me to collection.

Original review: July 6, 2017

The installation process was very fast and easy. My experience with the company customer service was amazing and they were very kindly. The water heater is just amazing. It's very convenient and easy to use. I just love that I don't have to worry about my water anymore. Hopefully I could get my family to get one just like I did. It really does help a lot and it's something everyone would love to have in their house. I do recommend this a lot but not use if all the brands work as good as mine. It doesn't take a lot of space and it works perfectly fine. I've tried other ways but this water heater makes life easier and nice.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I like the size of the water heater. It seems to fill up pretty quick and it seems to be pretty quiet as well. I also like the instructions located on the water heater unit itself. It's very understandable for average people like me. The installation went easy. It was done by a professional in the family. However, I have had to work on it or make adjustments on many occasions. Had to turn the temperature up on the unit just to make sure I had a full hot shower. I have also had to replace the pipe and fittings already. I feel that my heater might be faulty. My hot water doesn't seem to last like it's supposed to and very frequently I end up with half a hot shower. This is my biggest dislike. And, my dealings with customer service have been choppy at best. It takes awhile to get a hold of customer service and they don't really act like they know what they are doing.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I love my water heater. The experience I have had with since the very first day that I had it installed has been nothing but positive and has never given me any problems. I like the brand that I choose by myself. It was reasonably priced and the installation was nice and convenient.

Reliance expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Operating as a sub-brand of A. O. Smith, Reliance offers a wide variety of water heater sizes and capacities. Consumers can find high- efficiency, gas, electric, tankless and commercial water heaters.

• Types: Reliance offers high-efficiency gas and propane, electric, tankless, commercial and pump tank water heaters. Each type includes varying capacities, types and technology. Consumers can go online and apply filters based on their needs to help narrow down their choices.

• Electric heat-pump water heaters: Reliance boasts an energy efficient, electric heat pump water heater. It operates by pulling in heat from the surrounding environment to heat water.  Per Reliance, consumers can make their money back in three years based on how much they save in energy.

• Self-cleaning: Reliance offers two types of self-cleaning water heaters. Self-cleaning helps prevent sediment buildup over time which can cause leaks and take up space. This option is more expensive but can save you money in the long run.

• Commercial water heaters: For consumers looking for a commercial water heater, Reliance offers four types: Light-duty gas, dairy barn electric, medium-duty gas and medium duty gas-low NOx. LowNOx is only available in Texas and meets the low NOx emissions requirements.

• Availability: Consumers can go online for a full list of stores that carry Reliance water heaters and locate the closest one.

• Best for: Consumers needing a residential or commercial water heater.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs